时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:11] | Bitch. | 贱货 |
[01:12] | Fucking bitch. | 该死的贱货 |
[01:14] | I know where you live. | 我知道你住哪 |
[01:15] | I know where your family… | 我知道你家人住哪 |
[01:17] | This is for Maia Rindell. | 玛娅·林德尔你听着 |
[01:20] | I’m gonna rape you and your dyke girl… | 我要把你和你那个蕾丝边女朋友都强奸了 |
[01:23] | Hi. Good morning. | 早上好 |
[01:25] | And fuck you. You stole my money. | 去死吧 你偷了我的钱 |
[01:27] | I just want you to hurt like I do. | 我只想让你尝尝我受的苦 |
[01:29] | 语音信箱 未知号码 | |
[01:38] | Hi, it’s my first day here. | 你好 我第一天上班 |
[01:40] | And, uh, I’m not too sure where to g… | 不太清楚我该去哪 |
[01:47] | 库克县维护者 林德尔骗局可能… | |
[01:57] | – Maia Rindell? – Yes! | -玛娅·林德尔 -是我 |
[02:00] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[02:01] | Yes! Just, um… | 没事 只是 |
[02:05] | Julius Cain. | 朱利叶斯·凯恩 |
[02:06] | I’m the managing partner here. | 我是这里的管理合伙人 |
[02:08] | Let me show you to your desk. | 我带你去你的办公桌 |
[02:10] | We have 55 associates and 40 work stations, | 我们有55个同事以及40个工位 |
[02:13] | so we employ a hot desk system. | 所以我们采用公用办公桌系统 |
[02:15] | Occupy any empty chair in the communal area, | 公共区域闲置座位都可占用 |
[02:19] | but keep your laptop with you because you might be returning | 但记得笔记本得随身携带 因为等你回来 |
[02:21] | to a different space when you come back. | 可能要换其他地方 |
[02:22] | Go ahead. | 坐吧 |
[02:25] | Good. | 好 |
[02:26] | At 10:00, I’m gonna need you at the SWSMU offices, | 10点 我需要你去仓库与商场销售人员工会 |
[02:29] | so meet me at reception in 20 minutes. | 所以20分钟后到接待处和我碰面 |
[02:31] | The what? | 什么地方 |
[02:32] | SWSMU. | 仓库与商场销售人员工会 |
[02:34] | One of our union contracts. | 我们的工会合同之一 |
[02:35] | Once a month, we offer their members pro bono service | 每月一次 我们给他们成员提供法律援助 |
[02:38] | as part of our retainer. | 作为他们给律师费的服务 |
[02:39] | 20 minutes. | 20分钟 |
[02:49] | 未知号码 我要强奸你 再把你的奶子切掉 | |
[02:55] | Did you hear that, Diane? | 你听到了吗 戴安 |
[02:58] | I… yes. I just can’t believe it. | 我 听到了 我只是不敢相信 |
[03:00] | They’re withholding my capital contribution? | 他们扣留了我的认购金 |
[03:03] | They say they have to review your tenure. | 他们说必须对你的任期进行审查 |
[03:04] | What tenure?! I was a name partner. | 什么任期 我是冠名合伙人 |
[03:07] | I created that firm. | 我创办的律所 |
[03:08] | It’s my money. | 那是我的钱 |
[03:10] | I’m sorry, Diane. | 我很抱歉 戴安 |
[03:13] | Do I have any reserves? | 我还有钱吗 |
[03:15] | If you sell your apartment. | 如果你把房子卖了 |
[03:19] | I can’t do that. | 我不能这么做 |
[03:21] | Well, you can always talk to your new partners, | 你总可以和你的新合伙人谈谈 |
[03:23] | and see if they’ll offer you a loan. | 看他们能不能给你提供贷款 |
[03:45] | We tried to call you at home. | 我们试过给你家里打电话 |
[03:47] | Because? | 有什么事 |
[03:48] | We’re moving you down the hall. | 我们把你搬到大厅边上了 |
[03:50] | There’s a new partner. | 有新合伙人要来 |
[03:52] | We have to make room. | 我们得腾个地方出来 |
[03:54] | Diane? | 戴安 |
[03:56] | Yep. | 没错 |
[03:59] | See, it’s not so bad. | 看 也不是很糟 |
[04:02] | Home sweet home. | 多么温馨的小窝 |
[04:06] | Oh, and I’m gonna need you at the SWSMU this morning. | 我需要你今早去趟仓库与商场销售人员工会 |
[04:10] | Why? | 为什么 |
[04:10] | I did it last month. | 我上个月去过了 |
[04:12] | Yes, and you were so good at it, too. | 没错 你也做得非常漂亮 |
[04:20] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[04:22] | Sharise. | 莎瑞瑟 |
[04:26] | Come on, come get this. Come get this. | 来 来接啊 来接啊 |
[04:28] | Come get this! | 来接啊 |
[04:30] | How that college search coming? | 大学选的怎么样了 |
[04:32] | Ah, all-consuming. Twins, you know. | 累坏了 双胞胎 你懂的 |
[04:34] | Yeah, I hear you. | 没错 我听到了 |
[04:36] | Any word on the Kendall offer? | 肯德尔案那边有什么动静 |
[04:37] | They called this morning. | 他们今早打过电话 |
[04:39] | Who? David Lee? | 谁 大卫·李 |
[04:41] | Yes, sir. | 没错 先生 |
[04:43] | We’re getting our six mill | 我们要拿到我们那600万了 |
[04:46] | Diane here yet? | 戴安来了吗 |
[04:47] | Yeah, she’s in with Barbara. | 来了 她和芭芭拉在一起 |
[04:49] | She is, huh? | 跟芭芭拉一起 |
[04:54] | I heard you speak at an ABA conference a few years ago. | 我几年前在律师协会上听过你发言 |
[04:57] | Oh, yes. On racial hiring? | 没错 关于种族招聘话题吗 |
[04:59] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[05:02] | Oh, well, I hope I didn’t embarrass myself too much. | 我希望我没让自己太难堪 |
[05:04] | Hmm, not too much. | 也没有很了 |
[05:11] | Diane Lockhart. | 戴安·洛哈特 |
[05:13] | I feel like we acquired | 我感觉现在我们也有 |
[05:14] | our very own Jimmy Butler right here. | 自己的吉米·巴特勒了 |
[05:16] | Adrian, how are you? | 阿德里安 你好吗 |
[05:17] | Good, good. | 很好 |
[05:19] | A little gift for you. | 一点见面礼 |
[05:20] | Spring Arbor Lake Wine, | 泉藤湖酒 |
[05:21] | my very own label, 2006. | 我自己的标 2006年 |
[05:24] | You have a winery? | 你有自己的酒庄吗 |
[05:25] | Ah, just a row of vines, that’s all. Sit, sit. | 就是一排葡萄藤而已 就这些 坐吧 |
[05:29] | So how’s everything going with you two? | 你们俩谈的怎么样 |
[05:31] | Barbara give you the rundown? | 芭芭拉告诉你大概情况了吗 |
[05:32] | She did. | 没错 |
[05:32] | Are you two playing nice? | 你们俩相处的好吗 |
[05:34] | – We are, Adrian. – Good. | -挺好的 阿德里安 -那就好 |
[05:36] | Oh, by the way, just a housekeeping matter, | 顺便提个内务问题 |
[05:38] | but we’ll need your capital contribution by next week. | 我们下个礼拜需要你的认购金 |
[05:43] | Oh, yes, of course. | 这事该提的 |
[05:45] | Just so you know, | 但我得说明一下 |
[05:46] | my old firm is being a bit intransigent. | 我旧律所有点不太配合 |
[05:49] | Yeah, David Lee. Wonderful guy. | 大卫·李 那家伙太有意思了 |
[05:52] | So, um, if you don’t mind being a bit patient. | 所以 希望你能稍微宽限一下 |
[05:55] | Of course. | 当然 |
[05:56] | But listen, I’ll need you | 但是听着 我需要你 |
[05:57] | in 11:00 A.M. Meeting to pitch cases | 11点和我们的诉讼投资人 |
[05:59] | to our litigation financiers. | 开会挑选案件 |
[06:01] | Right. Well, good. I’ll see you there. | 好的 我们到时见 |
[06:04] | You will. | 好的 |
[06:06] | Diane. | 戴安 |
[06:08] | – Welcome. – Thank you. | -欢迎加入 -谢谢 |
[06:17] | And how patient are we to be? | 我们要宽限她多长时间 |
[06:19] | Let’s give her two weeks. | 给她两周时间吧 |
[06:25] | Hello? | 你好 |
[06:25] | Just plugging in your computer. | 只是给你电脑插个电 |
[06:28] | Are you from Lockhart, Deckler? | 你是洛哈特&德克尔律所派来的吗 |
[06:30] | Lee, Lyman, Deckler, Gussman… | 李&莱曼&德克尔&古斯曼 |
[06:31] | Well, that didn’t take them very long. | 我的名字撤下得挺快的 |
[06:33] | I know. Bunch of assholes. | 没错 一群混蛋 |
[06:35] | Marissa? | 梅丽莎 |
[06:36] | Yeah, hey. | 没错 你好 |
[06:37] | Want me to set up anything else? | 要我把所有东西弄好吗 |
[06:38] | – No, I can do it. – No, let me. | -不用了 我自己来 -不 我来吧 |
[06:40] | If I get back too quick, | 如果我回的太早 |
[06:41] | they’ll just send me out on another errand. | 他们只会再安排差事给我 |
[06:43] | Here, I’ll hang these. | 我先把这些挂起来 |
[06:46] | When Alicia hired me, I was supposed to be involved | 艾丽西娅雇我时 本来是让我 |
[06:48] | in cases and everything, | 参与案子之类的 |
[06:49] | but it’s been all moving boxes since she left. | 但她走了之后我就只是个搬箱子什么的 |
[06:52] | Still want this? | 这个还要吗 |
[06:54] | Definitely. | 当然要 |
[06:56] | And, uh, where do you want these? | 这些你想挂哪儿 |
[07:00] | – What are those? – African masks. | -这是什么 -非洲面具 |
[07:03] | Well, I can see that. Where are they from? | 这我知道 可它从哪儿来的 |
[07:05] | Your office. | 你办公室 |
[07:06] | No. | 不可能 |
[07:09] | David Lee. Very funny. | 大卫·李 真好笑 |
[07:11] | By the way, | 顺便一提 |
[07:12] | I know you still need an assistant, Diane. | 我知道你还需要助理 戴安 |
[07:15] | Hello. | 你好 |
[07:16] | Uh, this is Marissa, | 这是梅丽莎 |
[07:17] | from my old firm. | 我原来律所派来的人 |
[07:18] | Hi. Just dropping stuff off. | 嗨 我是来送东西的 |
[07:24] | Well, I have a few people coming in today | 今天有几个新人过来 |
[07:25] | for possible assistants. | 应聘助理职位 |
[07:27] | I’ll send them by. | 我会叫他们过来 |
[07:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:33] | Okay, I don’t want to sound self-serving here, | 我不想自吹自擂 |
[07:35] | but I think it’s a smart move for you to hire me. | 但我觉得雇我是最明智的 |
[07:38] | Oh, good to know. | 我知道了 |
[07:39] | – Thank you. – No, seriously. You need an assistant. | -谢谢 -说真的 你需要助理 |
[07:41] | I can do whatever you want around here, | 我什么都能做 |
[07:43] | and I’m not that expensive. What are you paying? | 而且我要得不多 你能开多少薪水 |
[07:45] | Why don’t you just leave your resume, Marissa? | 把你的简历留下就好 梅丽莎 |
[07:47] | I don’t have one. | 我没简历 |
[07:48] | I’m much better in person, anyway. | 反正我真人比简历好多了 |
[07:49] | Look, just hire me for one day, | 就雇我一天 |
[07:51] | just until you get someone better. | 等你找到更好的人选就可以换掉我 |
[07:52] | And I promise you won’t get someone better. | 我向你保证 你找不到更好的 |
[07:54] | 仓库与商场销售人员工会 本地组织 | |
[07:56] | You limit your pro bono consultations | 把法律援助咨询时间 |
[07:58] | to 20 minutes each. | 限制在每人20分钟以内 |
[08:00] | If their legal issues require more time, | 如果要解决他们的法律问题需要更多时间 |
[08:02] | go to Lucca. | 去找卢卡 |
[08:03] | She will sign off on more time. | 由她来批准是否需要更多时间 |
[08:05] | Remember, you’re only here | 记住 你们来这里 |
[08:07] | to offer legal advice, not legal work. | 是提供法律咨询的 而不是来工作 |
[08:09] | Don’t get tied down. Move people on | 别被缠住了 如果可以 |
[08:12] | into other legal resources when you can. | 把他们推荐到其他法律渠道去 |
[08:14] | Prairie State or Legal Assistance. | 公诉辩护或者法律援助都行 |
[08:17] | You’re the “door close” button in the elevator. | 你们就是电梯里的关门按钮 |
[08:20] | Comforting, but not necessarily effective. | 令人安慰 但不一定有多大作用 |
[08:23] | Here we go. | 我们开始吧 |
[08:25] | Okay, members, listen up, listen up. | 会友们 听我说 听我说 |
[08:28] | Remember these lawyers are here as union advocates, | 记住这些律师是以工会支持者的身份过来 |
[08:29] | 仓库与商场销售人员工会 了解你的权力 在今天获取免费法律咨询 | |
[08:31] | so please limit your questions to workplace matters. | 所以请把问题限制在工作事宜上 |
[08:33] | Only workplace matters. | 只限于工作事宜 |
[08:36] | Okay, who is here on their work break, please raise your hand. | 趁着工作日午休时间来的请举手 |
[08:39] | Oh, come on. | 得了吧 |
[08:40] | Donny, I know it’s your day off. | 多尼 我知道今天是你的休息日 |
[08:41] | Get your hand down. | 把手放下 |
[08:42] | Only people on their lunch break. | 咨询只限在午休的人 |
[08:45] | Come on, you’re only screwing over | 别乱举手 你们这样只会损害 |
[08:46] | your union brother and sister. | 你工会的兄弟姐妹的权益 |
[08:48] | Good. Those on lunch break, come on up to the stage. | 好的 那些在午休的人上台来 |
[08:51] | Line up for each desk. Let’s go. | 在每桌前排队 开始吧 |
[08:58] | You’re seriously telling me I have to go to someone else | 你真要我去找别人吗 |
[09:00] | on my lunch break? | 我午休时间就这么点 |
[09:01] | The thing is, ma’am, we’re not really here | 事情是这样的 女士 我们不是过来 |
[09:02] | to help with family law issues, but, uh, I can refer you to… | 解决家庭法问题的 但我能介绍你去 |
[09:07] | He’s not paying child support! | 他不交抚养费 |
[09:08] | How am I supposed to make ends meet | 我要怎么维持生计呢 |
[09:09] | if he won’t pay child support? | 他不交抚养费 |
[09:11] | I know, I’m sorry. It’s just… | 我懂 我很抱歉 只是 |
[09:14] | Well, I’m not really supposed to help with… | 我不应该提供这方面的帮助 |
[09:16] | Then why are you here? | 那你过来干什么 |
[09:18] | If you can’t help, why are you here? | 如果你不能帮忙 你过来干什么 |
[09:24] | I need help. | 我需要帮助 |
[09:25] | Hello. | 你好 |
[09:42] | Oh, come on. | 拜托 |
[09:50] | I’m gonna help you out here. | 我来帮忙 |
[09:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[09:53] | Sir, would you like to come to my desk? | 先生 你要去我的桌子吗 |
[09:56] | No, I’m good here. | 不用 我这队挺好 |
[09:59] | I’m a third-year associate. | 我有三年从业经验 |
[10:00] | She just passed the bar. | 她才拿到资格证 |
[10:01] | That’s okay. | 没关系 |
[10:03] | I’m sticking. | 我就排这里 |
[10:08] | Next? | 下一位 |
[10:12] | I, I just can’t survive on $400 a week. | 一周只有400美元 我过不下去 |
[10:15] | I can’t pay for my rent. | 我付不起房租 |
[10:16] | I can’t pay for my ex-wife. | 付不起前妻的抚养费 |
[10:18] | And they’re not adjusting it for after taxes. | 他们没照税后收入来调整发薪 |
[10:20] | They’re just taking it right off the top. | 而是按总收入直接扣了 |
[10:21] | I-I’m sorry, I don’t understand. | 我很抱歉 我不太明白 |
[10:23] | You’re…you’re being paid $400 a week? | 你一周工资是400美元吗 |
[10:26] | Yeah. Wait, no. | 对 等等 不是 |
[10:29] | And my rent is twice that. Okay? | 我房租是这两倍 好吗 |
[10:30] | Do you need to get that? | 你要接电话吗 |
[10:32] | No. | 不用 |
[10:33] | Uh, no. It does that. | 不用 总有各种消息 |
[10:35] | Yeah, mine, too. | 我手机也是 |
[10:37] | You know, I used to get some good news, | 我曾经还会收到些好消息 |
[10:38] | but now I feel like it’s all bad. | 但现在 我觉得都是些坏消息 |
[10:40] | I don’t even like answering it nowadays. | 我都不想回复它们 |
[10:43] | So, um, I’m sorry, I’m, I’m not too sure | 我很抱歉 我不太明白 |
[10:47] | how they were able to lower your salary. | 他们是怎么调低你薪水的 |
[10:49] | Not lower. | 不是调低 |
[10:50] | Garnish. | 是抵扣 |
[10:51] | They’re saying that I stole 400 running shoes. | 他们说我偷了400双跑步鞋 |
[10:54] | – What? 400 running shoes? – Yeah. | -什么 400双跑步鞋 -没错 |
[10:55] | And they say that’s $70,000, but that’s retail, | 他们说值七万 但那是按零售价算的 |
[10:58] | and they don’t pay retail. | 他们又不是按零售价买的 |
[10:59] | They just pay wholesale, so it should be half that. | 而是按批发价 所以赔偿应该只有一半 |
[11:02] | Wait, I’m sorry. Could-could you start again? | 等等 抱歉 你能再说一次吗 |
[11:05] | Okay, BMI… | 好吧 BMI |
[11:09] | …my store says that I stole 400 running shoes. | 我在的店说我偷了400双运动鞋 |
[11:12] | And did you? | 你偷了吗 |
[11:13] | No, I’ve never stolen anything in my entire life. | 没有 我这辈子都没偷过东西 |
[11:16] | But they’re garnishing my wages for the retail amount, | 但他们是按零售价来抵扣我薪水的 |
[11:19] | and it should be the wholesale amount. | 实际该按照批发价来扣 |
[11:21] | That’s double what I should pay! | 那让我多赔了一倍的钱 |
[11:23] | But if you didn’t steal anything, | 但如果你没偷东西的话 |
[11:24] | why are you letting them garnish your wages at all? | 为什么要让他们抵扣你的薪水 |
[11:26] | Because I signed a confession. | 因为我签了供认书 |
[11:30] | I don’t understand. Why did he confess? | 我不明白 他为什么要供认 |
[11:32] | They pressured him to. | 他们逼他这么做的 |
[11:33] | They threatened to fire him if he didn’t. | 如果不签就要开除他 |
[11:35] | He just wants them to charge him | 他只是想让他们 |
[11:37] | the wholesale amount and not the retail amount. | 以批发价算赔偿 而不是零售价 |
[11:39] | And he wants to go to arbitration for that? | 他还想为这事去仲裁吗 |
[11:41] | Well, his contract requires that he go to arbitration. | 他的合同要求他去仲裁 |
[11:44] | But he wants me to represent him. | 但他想让我来代理他 |
[11:47] | I just need you to sign me off | 我需要你的批准 |
[11:48] | on two more hours work. | 再多两小时 |
[11:51] | You know this is just pro bono? | 你知道这只是无偿法援吧 |
[11:53] | Right? It’s a goodwill gesture. | 对吧 这只是个善意姿态而已 |
[11:54] | We’re not here to right a wrong. | 我们不是来纠正不公的 |
[11:55] | No, I know, | 我知道 |
[11:57] | but it’s only two hours work. | 但就两小时工作量而已 |
[11:59] | I want to do it. | 我想这样做 |
[12:00] | When’s the arbitration? | 仲裁是什么时候 |
[12:02] | This afternoon. | 今天下午 |
[12:04] | Okay. | 好 |
[12:05] | Good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[12:07] | Everything good with you? | 你没事吧 |
[12:12] | Yeah. | 还好 |
[12:15] | Yeah, for the first time in a while… yes. | 这些日子以来第一次感觉还行 |
[12:18] | It’s good when you can focus on someone else’s problem. | 注意力都在别人的麻烦上对你是有好处的 |
[12:26] | First place I’ve been I wasn’t recognized. | 这是第一个我没被认出来的地方 |
[12:36] | This is our highest priority case. | 这是我们当务之急的案子 |
[12:39] | It’s a hanging in a jail cell… Holly Orlin. | 牢房里的绞刑 霍利·奥林 |
[12:41] | You’ll find a Chicago Tribune article on top there. | 最上面你能看到「芝加哥论坛报」的一篇文章 |
[12:45] | This is the worst Cook County jail abuse | 这是我这几年来看过的库克县监狱虐待案里 |
[12:47] | I have seen in years. | 最惨的一例 |
[12:49] | So, we’re suing for $12 million, | 我们要求赔偿1200万 |
[12:50] | but we do expect settlement before trial. | 但同时我们也希望能够在庭审前和解 |
[12:52] | – Any videotape? – No. | -有监控录像吗 -没有 |
[12:54] | But we have a very sympathetic family | 但是我们一个有非常值得同情的家庭 |
[12:56] | and a grieving widower. | 以及一位悲痛欲绝的寡妇 |
[12:58] | So, all we need of your financing is $300 thousand. | 我们需要的就是你们30万的赞助 |
[13:01] | No. Thanks, though. | 不 不过谢了 |
[13:03] | Our algorithm is going cool on police suits. | 我们的算法不看好起诉警方 |
[13:07] | You sure about that? | 你确定吗 |
[13:09] | Mm-hmm. What else? | 当然 还有别的吗 |
[13:11] | Well, I think that, uh, Diane, | 我想 戴安 |
[13:13] | our newest partner… she just joined us | 我们的新合伙人 她刚刚入伙 |
[13:14] | from Lockhart, Deckler & Gussman… | 从洛哈特&德克尔&古斯曼过来的 |
[13:16] | can speak to a new case. | 由她来说说新案子 |
[13:17] | Uh, we’ve been looking into parole abuses. | 我们一直在跟滥用假释权的案子 |
[13:20] | Some parolees have been rejected for, uh, punitive reasons. | 一些假释申请因为惩罚性原因而被拒绝 |
[13:25] | I think my partner worries there’s no money there. | 我认为我的合伙人担心这个方向没钱可赚 |
[13:29] | That depends on how vulnerable the State feels. | 那取决于州政府觉得在这点上是否容易被攻击 |
[13:31] | No. It depends on the trend. | 不 取决于趋势 |
[13:33] | The trend is against you. | 趋势不利于你们的提议 |
[13:34] | Look, now we understand you have your little algebraic spells, | 我们明白你有自己的算法小魔咒 |
[13:38] | but we understand the system. | 但是我们了解整个体系 |
[13:40] | And you’ll get ten percent of our earnings. | 而你又能得到我们一成的收入 |
[13:43] | Why don’t you let us help you make some money? | 为什么不让我们给你赚些钱呢 |
[13:46] | What else have you got? | 你们还有什么 |
[13:49] | Malpractice? | 玩忽职守 |
[13:50] | It’s a malpractice suit. | 这是一个玩忽职守诉讼案 |
[13:54] | – Uh, excuse me. – Yeah. | -失陪一下 -去吧 |
[13:57] | – Second page. – What’s wrong? | -第二页 -什么事 |
[13:59] | Someone here to see you. | 有人来找你 |
[14:00] | Lenore Rindell. | 丽诺·林德尔 |
[14:02] | Where? | 在哪 |
[14:03] | In your office. | 你办公室 |
[14:03] | You want me to get rid of her? | 要我打发她走吗 |
[14:10] | What do you need, Lenore? | 你想要什么 丽诺 |
[14:13] | I-I came to see Maia. | 我 我来找玛娅 |
[14:14] | She’s out. | 她外出了 |
[14:15] | She’s not talking to me, she’s not answering my calls. | 她不跟我说话 也不接我的电话 |
[14:18] | My guess is her lawyer told her not to. | 估计是她的律师不让的 |
[14:20] | Can you talk to her, Diane? Please. | 你能跟她谈谈吗 戴安 求你了 |
[14:24] | No. | 不行 |
[14:26] | Why? | 为什么 |
[14:27] | I don’t know what bubble you’re living in, Lenore, | 我不知道你活在什么泡沫幻境里 丽诺 |
[14:29] | but you do see my office here? | 可是你看到我的这个办公室了吧 |
[14:30] | You do see that I am not retired, | 你看到我还没退休吧 |
[14:32] | that I am still working. | 看到我还在工作了吧 |
[14:33] | This wasn’t us. This was Jax. | 不怪我们 都是贾克斯干的 |
[14:35] | This is his Ponzi scheme, not ours… | 这是他的庞氏骗局 不是我们 |
[14:36] | You want to have an honest conversation here, | 你想开诚布公地谈 |
[14:38] | then let’s have it. I came to you last week | 那咱就谈谈 我上周找你们 |
[14:40] | for my money back so that I could buy my dream house, | 想拿回我的钱 好买我梦寐以求的房子 |
[14:42] | – and what did you say? – We didn’t… | -你们是怎么说的来着 -我们没 |
[14:43] | No, I want to hear you say it. What did you say? | 不 我想听你说出来 你当时怎么说的 |
[14:45] | This wasn’t us. | 不怪我们 |
[14:45] | You said keep it in your account, and borrow on it. | 你说钱放在账户里别动 用它贷款 |
[14:48] | I could’ve had my money back. | 我本可以拿回我的钱的 |
[14:50] | I… | 我 |
[14:53] | I think it’s a good idea that you go. | 我觉得你该走了 |
[14:57] | Diane, | 戴安 |
[14:58] | look at me. | 看着我 |
[15:02] | I’m innocent. | 我是无辜的 |
[15:03] | Henry’s innocent. | 亨利是无辜的 |
[15:06] | You are a defense lawyer. | 你是一名辩护律师 |
[15:07] | Why can’t you extend us the same courtesy | 你怎么就不能把对其他客户的礼节 |
[15:10] | you do your other clients? | 延用到我们身上 |
[15:13] | We are wrongly accused. | 我们是被冤枉的 |
[15:15] | Just because the Feds say it doesn’t make it true. | 不能因为联调局说什么就是什么 |
[15:22] | I’ll tell Maia that you dropped by. | 我会告诉玛娅你来过 |
[15:35] | I know I shouldn’t ask this, but Henry needs your help. | 我知道我不该提要求 但是亨利需要你帮他 |
[15:40] | He’s in jail and no one will visit him. | 他在监狱里 没人愿意探望他 |
[15:45] | His lawyer’s advising him to plead guilty, | 他的律师建议他认罪 |
[15:47] | but I don’t think he should. | 可我觉得他不应该认 |
[15:51] | He’s your oldest friend, Diane. | 他是你的老朋友了 戴安 |
[15:54] | Will you talk to him? | 你能跟他谈谈吗 |
[16:06] | So it’s like a trial? | 这就跟庭审差不多吗 |
[16:08] | Yes, just answer honestly. | 是的 如实回答就行 |
[16:10] | That’s all you have to do. | 你要做的就是这个 |
[16:12] | And if I lose? | 我要是输了呢 |
[16:14] | Well, there’s no appeal, so if you lose, you lose. | 因为没法上诉 所以输了就是输了 |
[16:18] | Frank Gwinn. | 弗兰克·格文 |
[16:21] | Here. | 到 |
[16:23] | Go ahead. You’re the lawyer? | 进吧 你是律师 |
[16:24] | Uh, yes, from Reddick, Boseman & Kolstad… | 对 雷迪克&博斯曼&科斯达律所的 |
[16:27] | Good, I’m the arbiter. | 好 我是仲裁员 |
[16:29] | Let’s hear it. | 咱们开始吧 |
[16:30] | And this is Benji Diyardian | 这位是班吉·帝亚蒂安 |
[16:31] | from BMI’s loss-prevention department. | BMI运动公司防损部的 |
[16:34] | He questioned me. | 就是他审问我的 |
[16:35] | Let’s hear it. | 开始吧 |
[16:37] | I… | 我 |
[16:40] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[16:43] | Frank’s employer, BMI, | 弗兰克的雇主 BMI运动公司 |
[16:45] | a sporting good store with $12 billion in assets | 是一家市值120亿美元的运动用品商店 |
[16:49] | and franchises throughout the country… | 并且在全国各地均有经营权 |
[16:50] | Yeah, I-I don’t need that. | 我不需要听这个 |
[16:53] | Right. Um… | 好的 |
[16:55] | They have accused my client of stealing | 他们指控我的当事人 |
[16:58] | 400 running shoes from their back-stock. | 从库存货物中偷窃了400双跑鞋 |
[17:00] | – 417. – Objection. | -417双 -反对 |
[17:03] | Okay, um, | 好吧 |
[17:06] | and he didn’t do it, right? | 这不是他偷的 是吗 |
[17:07] | Uh, that is correct, sir. | 正确 先生 |
[17:08] | He did not do it. | 他没偷 |
[17:10] | What do you need, ma’am? | 你有什么事 女士 |
[17:12] | I’m here as an observer for the union. | 我来这当工会的观察员 |
[17:15] | Why? | 为什么 |
[17:15] | We just want to make sure everything’s fair. | 我们就是想确保一切公平公正 |
[17:22] | Okay, keep going, Miss. | 好吧 这位小姐请继续 |
[17:25] | My client did not steal any shoes. | 我的当事人并没有偷鞋 |
[17:28] | He has no record and yet the company, BMI, | 他没有任何犯罪记录 然而BMI运动公司 |
[17:30] | have chosen to garnish his salary by almost 40%. | 却选择克扣他将近40%的工资 |
[17:33] | We didn’t garnish anything, he confessed. | 我们什么都没克扣 他认罪了 |
[17:35] | No, excuse me, sir, you’ll have your chance. | 不 抱歉先生 会轮到你发言的 |
[17:37] | Um, this is a massive, | 这就是一家规模庞大 |
[17:40] | $12 billion company | 市值120亿的公司 |
[17:42] | stealing half my client’s pay. | 偷窃我当事人一半的工资 |
[17:44] | Stealing, really? We have his confession on the record. | 偷窃 别闹 我们可有他的供状登记在案 |
[17:46] | No, he was forced to confess. | 不 他是被逼招供的 |
[17:47] | He was told if he did not confess… | 有人告诉他如果他不认罪的话 |
[17:49] | He was not told anything. | 没人跟他说过任何事情 |
[17:50] | If he did not confess, then he would be fired. | 如果他不招认 就会被解雇 |
[17:52] | Frank, how long did this man question you? | 弗兰克 他质问了你多久 |
[17:54] | Seven hours. | 七个小时 |
[17:55] | Without break. He was told he could not leave the room. | 没有片刻休息 他被要求不能离开房间 |
[17:58] | Only because he’s an employee and he was on the clock. | 只是因为他是一名员工 而他当时正在值班 |
[17:59] | Let me see the confession. | 让我看看供词 |
[18:03] | Would the union rep like to see it, too? | 工会代表也想看看这个吗 |
[18:05] | Uh, I would, thank you. | 是的 谢谢 |
[18:08] | Mr. Arbiter, as you read that, please remember | 仲裁员先生 在你看供词的同时 请记住 |
[18:10] | that he was forced to sign that confession. | 他是被迫在这张供词上签名的 |
[18:12] | I never forced anyone. This is the Friedman method. | 我从没强迫过任何人 这是弗里德曼方法 |
[18:15] | I never diverged once from it at all. | 我从未不按方法办事 |
[18:17] | The what? | 什么 |
[18:18] | The Friedman method, | 弗里德曼方法 |
[18:19] | it’s a process of questioning | 这是一种质询方法 |
[18:20] | I was trained and certified in. | 我曾经如此训练过也得到了认证 |
[18:24] | Sir, is this your signature? | 先生 这是你的签名吗 |
[18:29] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:30] | Then in exercise of powers conferred under Clause 25 | 根据双方达成的 |
[18:33] | of the agreement entered into between the parties, | 条款中的第25条 |
[18:35] | judgment is made in favor of the respondent. | 本席宣布 被告胜诉 |
[18:38] | Wait, w-what? What, that’s it? | 等等 什么 这就完了吗 |
[18:40] | Thank you, I’ll see the next arbitration. | 谢谢大家 我要处理下一个案子了 |
[18:42] | But he didn’t do it! | 但他是冤枉的 |
[18:43] | I’ll see the next arbitration. | 我要处理下一个案子了 |
[18:49] | False imprisonment. | 非法监禁 |
[18:52] | Mr. Arbiter, we ask that the arbitration be reopened | 仲裁员先生 我们请求仲裁再次开庭 |
[18:57] | based on the matter of false imprisonment. | 因为被告对我当事人进行了非法监禁 |
[19:01] | Oh, come on… | 拜托 |
[19:02] | My client was held against his will for seven hours, | 我当事人在违背意愿的情况下被关了七小时 |
[19:04] | in direct contravention of… everything. | 这直接违反了…所有法条 |
[19:09] | The issue of false imprisonment is irrelevant. | 非法监禁的问题与此案无关 |
[19:11] | Judgment is again made in favor of the respondent. | 本席再次宣判 被告胜诉 |
[19:14] | That’s not your decision to make, sir. | 这就由不得你来判了 先生 |
[19:16] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[19:17] | The arbitration agreement | 林德尔小姐当事人的 |
[19:19] | with Ms. Rindell’s client does not cover tort claims. | 仲裁协议并不包括民事侵权索赔 |
[19:21] | And false imprisonment is a tort claim. | 而非法监禁就是一项民事侵权索赔 |
[19:26] | Then we are stalemated. | 那我们可就陷入僵局了 |
[19:28] | No, we’re not. | 不 我们没有 |
[19:29] | And why is that? | 怎么没有 |
[19:30] | Because we’ll see you in court. | 因为我们将会在法庭上见 |
[20:02] | Henry. | 亨利 |
[20:06] | How are you? | 你还好吗 |
[20:14] | Rupert tells me I should accept a guilty plea. | 鲁珀特让我接受这份认罪协议 |
[20:17] | 20 years. | 20年 |
[20:20] | What do you think? | 你怎么想 |
[20:22] | I think this is bad, Hank. | 我觉得很糟糕 汉克 |
[20:27] | Yeah, you and I, Diane, | 是的 你和我 戴安 |
[20:29] | we always told each other the truth. | 我们总是和对方说实话 |
[20:31] | No matter where… in college, after, | 不管在哪里 在大学 之后 |
[20:34] | before Lenore. | 在丽诺面前 |
[20:35] | And I’m telling you the truth now. | 我现在也要和你说实话 |
[20:37] | I did not do this. | 我是冤枉的 |
[20:42] | Hank, what am I supposed to do with that? | 小亨 我应该怎么做 |
[20:44] | I am bankrupted, completely. | 我破产了 分文不剩 |
[20:48] | Two months ago, I hired a forensics accountant | 两个月前 我聘请了一个法务会计师 |
[20:51] | to look into Jax’s trades. | 去调查贾克斯的交易 |
[20:54] | There was $83 million missing. | 有8300万美元不见了 |
[20:56] | The accountant found Jax had moved the money | 那个会计师发现贾克斯把钱转移到 |
[20:58] | into his private account. | 他的私人账户了 |
[21:00] | I tried to confront him, but before I could, | 我试图与他对质 但还没来得及 |
[21:02] | Jax went to the Feds to turn me in. | 贾克斯就去联调局告发了我 |
[21:07] | You should be telling this to your lawyer, not to me. | 你应该把这些和你的律师说 不是我 |
[21:10] | I did, but Rupert said it doesn’t matter. | 我说了 但鲁珀特说此事无足轻重 |
[21:12] | There are too many bad facts. | 对我不利的事太多了 |
[21:17] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[21:21] | Let me look into another lawyer. | 我去找找别的律师 |
[21:23] | – Why not you? – No. | -为什么不能是你 -不行 |
[21:25] | You need someone objective. | 你需要一个能保持客观的人 |
[21:32] | How’s Maia? | 玛娅还好吗 |
[21:33] | – She’s doing well. – Good. | -她做得很好 -好 |
[21:35] | She’s on a case. | 她正在处理一个案子 |
[21:39] | She’s gonna blow us all away. | 她会超越我们所有人 |
[21:46] | Did she see her mom? | 她见她妈妈了吗 |
[21:48] | No. | 没有 |
[21:50] | I think it’s best that she stay away | 我觉得她最好远离这些事 |
[21:52] | until all this gets straightened out. | 直到有个了结 |
[21:55] | But that could be years. | 但这也许会需要很长时间 |
[21:58] | I know. | 我知道 |
[22:04] | Lenore didn’t tell you? | 丽诺没告诉你吗 |
[22:06] | Tell me what? | 告诉我什么 |
[22:08] | She doesn’t have years. | 她时间不多了 |
[22:09] | Her breast cancer, it’s back. | 她的乳腺癌复发了 |
[22:12] | Spread to her lymph nodes. | 扩散到了淋巴结 |
[22:21] | Maybe I should go see her. | 也许我该去看看她 |
[22:23] | I’d talk to your lawyer first. | 是我的话就先跟律师谈谈 |
[22:27] | You don’t think I should go see her? | 你觉得我不应该去看她 |
[22:31] | No, it’s just… | 不 只是 |
[22:34] | I think you should be careful. | 我觉得你应该谨慎一点 |
[22:40] | She misunderstood my intent, | 她误解了我的意图 |
[22:41] | or she ignored it, but we just don’t have time for this. | 也可能直接无视了 但我们没有时间纠缠这个 |
[22:44] | And we raise expectations for what our firm can do! | 我们对律所的作为有更高的期待 |
[22:48] | Ah, Lucca. | 卢卡 |
[22:49] | It seems we picked up a new case this morning. | 看来我们今早又有了新案子 |
[22:52] | I told you we didn’t want to get tangled up | 我和你说了我们不想 |
[22:53] | in small-ball litigation. | 这些小案子上纠缠不清 |
[22:54] | This is not small-ball. | 这并不是一个小案子 |
[22:56] | BMI has $12 billion in assets… | BMI有120亿美元资产 |
[22:58] | Yes, and there won’t be any punitive damages here. | 是的 但我们拿不到任何惩罚性赔偿 |
[23:01] | – But we don’t know that. – We do know that. | -这可不好说 -这是一定的 |
[23:03] | This is one union member, | 只有一个工会成员 |
[23:04] | and we’re about to put in 40 billable hours, | 我们需要花40个计费工时 |
[23:06] | to get him what, $20,000 in back pay? | 从他那得到什么 两万美元的酬劳吗 |
[23:09] | Is this about you losing your office to a partner? | 是让你把办公室让给了合伙人 所以在找事吗 |
[23:13] | No. | 没有 |
[23:14] | This is about a good case. | 这就是个好案子 |
[23:19] | Hey, do you know what the Friedman Method is? | 你知道弗里德曼方法是什么吗 |
[23:22] | The Friedman Method? | 弗里德曼方法 |
[23:24] | Yeah, it’s a way to interrogate | 我知道 这是一种质询 |
[23:26] | a suspect… why? | 嫌疑人的方法 怎么了 |
[23:27] | It’s a case I’m on. | 我有个案子 |
[23:29] | How do I find out more about it? | 我怎么能了解更多点 |
[23:30] | Easily, they have seminars. | 简单 他们有研讨会 |
[23:32] | Just look them up online. | 去网上查找就好 |
[23:34] | You pay the money, and you, too, | 只要你付钱 你也可以 |
[23:35] | can learn how to be a cop. | 学习怎么当警察 |
[23:37] | Good to know. | 太好了 |
[23:38] | Oh, okay. I got to go, bye. | 好了 我得挂了 拜 |
[23:42] | We’re being shut down. | 我们被拒绝了 |
[23:43] | What? | 什么 |
[23:44] | They’re worried the case is too small. | 他们担心这案子太小了 |
[23:46] | You’re kidding. | 你在开玩笑吧 |
[23:47] | I was just about to sign up for a Friedman seminar | 我正要报名弗里德曼研讨会的课程 |
[23:49] | to find out more. | 去继续找信息呢 |
[23:55] | You know what, do it anyway. | 那就去做吧 |
[23:57] | It’s on our time. | 工时是我们自己的 |
[23:59] | Why not? | 为什么不做呢 |
[24:01] | Okay. | 好的 |
[24:05] | People lie. | 人们会说谎 |
[24:07] | And when people lie, | 当人们说谎时 |
[24:08] | they want to confess… it’s human nature. | 他们会想坦白 这是人的本性 |
[24:11] | Your job… you and you and you… | 你们要做的 你 你 还有你 |
[24:14] | is to enable that process. | 就是促成这一过程 |
[24:15] | You are a crucial step to their cleansing. | 你们是他们坦白的关键步骤 |
[24:18] | What you will learn over the next four sessions | 你们后面的四节课上将学习 |
[24:20] | is the Friedman method. | 弗里德曼方法 |
[24:23] | A way to determine guilt and obtain a confession. | 一个确认罪行并让罪犯招供的方法 |
[24:29] | One of these four people is lying. | 这四个人中有一个在撒谎 |
[24:31] | They all deny taking money from a cash register, | 他们都不承认自己从收银台那里偷了钱 |
[24:33] | but one of them did. | 但有一个人确实偷了 |
[24:36] | The first step in the Friedman Method is ascertain guilt. | 弗里德曼方法的第一步就是辨认罪行 |
[24:39] | Find out who is lying. | 找出谁在撒谎 |
[24:41] | Look, I didn’t do it. | 听着 我没偷 |
[24:44] | I wasn’t even there. That’s the truth. | 我根本没到那里去 是真的 |
[24:46] | Pretty convincing, huh? | 很可信 对吗 |
[24:48] | But ignore the words. | 不要管他说了什么 |
[24:49] | They’re irrelevant. | 这和他们有罪与否毫无关系 |
[24:50] | Everybody swears they’re innocent, | 每个人都发誓自己是无辜的 |
[24:52] | but no one can hide their face. | 但没有人能藏得住自己的脸 |
[24:54] | No one can hide their expressions. | 没有人能藏得住自己的表情 |
[24:57] | The most important thing is to get the suspect | 最重要的一点是要让嫌犯 |
[24:59] | to look right at you and repeat the statement | 直视你并重复他们的论述 |
[25:01] | over and over. | 不断重复 |
[25:04] | Let’s watch it again. | 我们再看一遍 |
[25:05] | I’m going to slow down the image. | 我会慢放这段影片 |
[25:07] | Look, I didn’t do it. | 听着 我没偷 |
[25:09] | I wasn’t even there… I wasn’t even there. | 我根本没到那里去 我根本没到那里去 |
[25:11] | – That’s the truth… – There! | -是真的 -那里 |
[25:13] | Right there. See? Under his lip? | 就在那 看见没 他的嘴唇下方 |
[25:16] | The risorius muscle. | 笑肌 |
[25:17] | It’s part of the expression of fear. | 这是用来表达害怕的 |
[25:18] | When we are experiencing anxiety, | 当人们处于焦虑之中时 |
[25:21] | the risorius muscle will become tense. | 笑肌会紧缩 |
[25:24] | Look for it. | 看看他有没有 |
[25:25] | I wasn’t even there. | 我根本没到那里去 |
[25:27] | – That’s the truth. – See? | -是真的 -看见没 |
[25:29] | Clenched muscle. | 肌肉紧缩了 |
[25:30] | Good. Another telltale sign of anxiety, the forehead. | 好 还有一个迹象会暴露你在焦虑 前额 |
[25:33] | When there is a burst of anxiety, | 当焦虑爆发时 |
[25:35] | these muscles will tighten up, | 这里的肌肉会变紧绷 |
[25:37] | the eyebrows will rise upward, only for a second… see? | 眉毛会向上扬 只有很短的时间 看见没 |
[25:40] | The liar wants to force his expressions to look relaxed, | 撒谎者想故作镇定 |
[25:43] | in control. | 控制自己的情绪 |
[25:45] | Therefore, the expression you’re looking for | 所以 你要找的表情 |
[25:47] | is fleeting, momentary. | 转瞬即逝 只有一瞬间 |
[25:53] | Do you think that’s true, the way to discover a liar? | 你觉得这是真的吗 识穿骗子的方法 |
[25:57] | No, it’s bad psychology. | 不是真的 只是蹩脚的心理学 |
[25:59] | How do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[26:00] | “Ignore the words”? Seriously? | “不要管他说了什么” 真的吗 |
[26:03] | How does someone prove their innocence | 不解释自己无罪的理由 |
[26:05] | without explaining why they’re innocent? | 怎么能够证明自己的清白 |
[26:08] | And he says it’s all about detecting anxiety. | 而且他说只要能发觉有人在焦虑就行了 |
[26:10] | Well, I don’t care how innocent you are, | 先别说你有没有罪 |
[26:13] | if a cop calls you in for questioning, | 如果被警察叫去审问 |
[26:15] | you’re gonna be anxious. | 是个人都会焦虑的 |
[26:17] | So what does anxiety prove? | 所以焦虑能证明什么 |
[26:20] | What if there is no cop? | 如果没有警察呢 |
[26:21] | What if there is no reason to be anxious? | 如果在没有理由焦虑的情况下呢 |
[26:24] | I don’t know. Everybody’s different. | 我不知道 每个人都是不同的 |
[26:26] | Everybody’s got their tell. I don’t… | 每个人有每个人的特征 我不… |
[26:31] | What? | 怎么了 |
[26:32] | 迪伦·诺尔斯 拳击场百货商店 | |
[26:35] | 卢瑟·萨尔达纳 东翼跑鞋 | |
[26:40] | 皮特·鲍因斯 广传电子产品商店 | |
[26:41] | This isn’t a small thing. | 这不是一件小事 |
[26:43] | This is a massive class action. | 这是一起巨大的集体诉讼 |
[26:45] | Every multi-billion dollar nationwide retailer | 每一个身家上十亿的全国连锁零售商 |
[26:48] | is sending middle-management | 都派了中层管理者 |
[26:49] | to these seminars… East Wing Running Shoes, | 来参加这种研讨会 东翼跑鞋 |
[26:52] | Widespread Tech, B&X… | 广传电子 拳击百货 |
[26:54] | I thought these seminars were about training cops. | 我以为这些研讨会是关于警察培训的 |
[26:56] | That’s how they were intended, | 这是这个研讨会的初衷 |
[26:58] | but retail stores are using the same techniques | 但是零售商们用这个技术 |
[27:00] | against their own employees, | 来对付自己的雇员 |
[27:01] | and it’s just as likely to result in a false positive. | 而结果很可能会错怪好人 |
[27:04] | Barbara, what do you think? | 芭芭拉 你觉得怎么样 |
[27:07] | It’s good. | 是个好机会 |
[27:10] | Go certify a class. | 去定出个集体来 |
[27:15] | We should put Bobby on it with her. | 我们该派波比和她一起去 |
[27:17] | It’s a big thing now. | 现在这是件大事了 |
[27:18] | Who’s on it with her right now? | 现在是谁和她一起 |
[27:19] | The new associate, Maia. | 新来的律师 玛娅 |
[27:20] | I’d keep her on it. | 是我的话会让她继续跟这个案子 |
[27:22] | Maia’s good. | 玛娅挺不错的 |
[27:23] | And she’s motivated. | 她很积极 |
[27:25] | – That Rindell kid? – Yes. | -那个林德尔家的孩子吗 -是的 |
[27:27] | Sure. | 当然 |
[27:28] | Everybody hates her. | 所有人都恨她 |
[27:29] | Great way to mold a fighter. | 这是一个激发斗志的绝妙机遇 |
[27:31] | All right. | 好吧 |
[27:38] | There may not even be a job here. | 这个位置可能不会招人了 |
[27:40] | I just want to warn you. | 我只是想提醒一下你们 |
[27:46] | Uh, you’re here for the assistant position? | 你是来应聘助理职位的吗 |
[27:49] | Come on in… Daniela? | 请进 你是丹妮拉吗 |
[27:58] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[28:05] | This is still your case, Frank, | 这还是你的案子 弗兰克 |
[28:07] | but it’s also now a class action. | 但现在也是集体诉讼了 |
[28:09] | So I don’t pay anything? | 也就是说我不用付钱了 |
[28:10] | Right, and it’s more likely | 对 你有更大的希望 |
[28:12] | that you’ll get a larger settlement, | 得到更多赔偿 |
[28:14] | because these big companies | 因为这些都是大公司 |
[28:16] | will want to avoid the embarrassment. | 大公司都不想破坏自己的形象 |
[28:17] | Is this going to move quickly now, | 这得搞快点 |
[28:18] | because I’m having trouble paying rent. | 因为我现在连房租都交不起了 |
[28:19] | We think the companies will try to win this motion to dismiss. | 我们认为这些公司会想办法驳回上诉 |
[28:23] | And if not, they’ll negotiate a settlement. | 如果做不到 他们就会协商和解 |
[28:25] | – All right, do I have to sign something? – Yes. | -好吧 我要签什么协议吗 -要的 |
[28:27] | And, actually, you can help us, Frank. | 你可以帮到我们 弗兰克 |
[28:29] | We’re looking for other workers | 我们要找其他和你一样 |
[28:31] | who have had their wages garnished, just like you. | 被克扣工资的员工 |
[28:33] | – So, if you… – What is this case again? | -如果你… -这个案子是什么来着 |
[28:37] | We’re gathering a class of retail workers | 我们要召集一群被诬陷 |
[28:40] | who were wrongly accused of stealing from their stores. | 偷了店里东西的零售员工 |
[28:42] | Okay, got it. | 好了 明白了 |
[28:47] | So are you coming back to work? | 你要回来工作了吗 |
[28:49] | Everybody misses you. | 大家都很想念你 |
[28:51] | No, I got another job. | 不了 我找了别的工作 |
[28:53] | In fact, can you help me out with it? | 你能帮我个忙吗 |
[28:54] | You know everybody around here. | 这里的人你都认识 |
[28:56] | Is there anybody in the mall who had their wages cut? | 这里有谁被扣了工资吗 |
[28:58] | We’re bringing a lawsuit against all these big asshole companies, | 我们要对所有的混蛋大公司提起诉讼 |
[29:01] | and I know you know all the people here | 我知道这里的人你都认识 |
[29:04] | and how they complain. | 他们的不满你都清楚 |
[29:05] | So is anybody bitching about their paychecks? | 有谁在抱怨自己的工钱吗 |
[29:07] | It’s about people being forced to confess | 就是有人被强迫承认 |
[29:09] | that they stole clothing or shoes or computers. | 自己偷了衣服或者鞋子或者电脑 |
[29:12] | So if you hear anything from anybody, here’s my card. | 如果你听到了什么消息 这是我的名片 |
[29:15] | Tell them to call me. | 让他们打给我 |
[29:28] | What the hell are you doing, Barbara? | 你在干什么 芭芭拉 |
[29:30] | What am I doing? I’m having a sandwich. | 我在干什么 我在吃三明治 |
[29:32] | You’re dragging my members into a class action. | 你在拉我的会员提起集体诉讼 |
[29:33] | If this is about the salary garnishing, | 如果你说的是克扣工资的事的话 |
[29:35] | we’re not drag… | 我们没有拉… |
[29:36] | You’re pissing off management! | 你惹到管理层了 |
[29:38] | We’re on the eve of a contract negotiation, | 我们正处在协商合同的节骨眼上 |
[29:40] | and you’re pissing off management. | 你却惹恼了管理层 |
[29:42] | It was a union-member complaint. | 是有工会成员来投诉 |
[29:43] | – We are merely… – No, no, no, no. | -我们只是… -不不不 |
[29:45] | You convinced him | 是你们说服他 |
[29:46] | to pursue a class action, | 发起集体诉讼的 |
[29:47] | because you wanted the money. | 就因为你们想要钱 |
[29:49] | You came into our offices and asked for our help | 你们的人跑进我们的办公室寻求帮助 |
[29:51] | to collect a class… | 就为了发起集体… |
[29:53] | Those two did. | 就是她们两个 |
[29:55] | – Your contract is with us. – Yes. | -你们和我们是有合约的 -没错 |
[29:56] | And you employed us to help your members and… | 而你们雇我们也是为了帮助成员和… |
[29:58] | As a gesture, merely. | 那只是做个样子而已 |
[30:00] | Uh, maybe your members would like to know that. | 或许你们的成员想要知道这件事情吧 |
[30:04] | Seriously? | 你是认真的吗 |
[30:05] | That’s how little our contract means to you? | 我们之间的合约就这么没有意义吗 |
[30:07] | You’re threatening me? | 你们居然在威胁我 |
[30:08] | God, if that’s considered a threat, friend, | 天呐 如果那都算威胁 朋友 |
[30:10] | I would love to live in your world. | 我可真想活在你的纯真世界里 |
[30:13] | We won’t pay a cent for this class action, | 这起集体诉讼 我们一分钱都不会给 |
[30:15] | and we won’t help in any way. | 我们也不会提供任何协助 |
[30:16] | So drop it. | 快放弃这个案子 |
[30:24] | What are you gonna do? | 你要怎么做 |
[30:27] | We’re gonna find another benefactor. | 我们去另找一个赞助人吧 |
[30:32] | So what do you have? | 你手里有什么案子 |
[30:34] | A new suit. Very last-minute. | 一个新案子 刚刚接下来的 |
[30:37] | Class action against 12 nationwide retailers. | 针对12家全国零售商的集体诉讼 |
[30:40] | I’ll need financing on, say, 140… | 我大概需要140… |
[30:42] | How many in the class? | 有几个原告 |
[30:44] | We’re gathering that as we speak, | 我们正在征集 |
[30:45] | but we think 20, maybe more. | 大概有20个 可能更多 |
[30:47] | Sympathetic, working-class families, | 易博得同情的工薪家庭 |
[30:49] | all retail workers. | 他们都是零售业工作人员 |
[30:50] | Who’s the test case? | 试验案件是什么 |
[30:52] | Top of page three. | 第三页最上面 |
[30:53] | Frank Gwinn, 32 years old. | 弗兰克·格文 32岁 |
[30:55] | Divorced father. | 单亲父亲 |
[30:57] | Good witness. College-educated. | 很适合作证 读过大学 |
[30:59] | Worked at BMI selling shoes. | 在BMI的门店工作 |
[31:01] | No litigation in his background, and no priors. | 以往没有诉讼 也没有前科 |
[31:03] | – Uh, he’s delinquent on a loan. – It’s a student loan. | -他有贷款没还 -那是学生贷款 |
[31:06] | 2012. He’s making payments again. | 2012年申请的 现在要再次偿还了 |
[31:08] | Your proposal? | 你的想法是 |
[31:10] | You finance 600 billable hours | 你们资助600个工时的薪资 |
[31:12] | for an initial payment of $300,000. | 头款要30万美元 |
[31:14] | You’ll have two exit ramps. | 有两个退出时间点 |
[31:15] | One, after the motion to dismiss. | 一是提出驳回起诉的动议后 |
[31:17] | Two, six months into trial, | 二是庭审六个月后 |
[31:19] | if we even go that long. | 前提是这官司会打这么久 |
[31:21] | You share 40% of the award, | 你们能坐收报酬的40% |
[31:23] | up to $8 million. | 最高可达800万美元 |
[31:29] | No. | 不行 |
[31:32] | Why? | 为什么 |
[31:33] | You can’t get better. | 这是最好的条件了 |
[31:35] | Your motion to dismiss is in front of Judge Kevin Drago? | 是凯文·德拉戈法官负责审理驳回起诉的动议吧 |
[31:38] | We’ve won in front of him before. | 我们曾在他审理的案子里胜诉 |
[31:39] | Our algorithm doesn’t like him. | 我们的算法并不喜欢他 |
[31:41] | Not for this case. | 这个案子里不行 |
[31:42] | Your algorithm’s not taking into account | 你的算法并不知道 |
[31:44] | that I’m a fucking good lawyer. | 我是个吊炸天的好律师 |
[31:45] | Don’t swear, okay? | 别爆粗 好吗 |
[31:48] | It bugs out Jer. | 会吓到杰 |
[31:52] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[31:56] | Does your algorithm even like this case? | 你们的算法喜欢这个案子吗 |
[31:59] | It does. | 喜欢 |
[31:59] | Good optics, good potential pay-out. | 前景很好 潜在回报也很高 |
[32:01] | It’s just this judge. | 问题就是法官 |
[32:03] | It’s okay, I will get you a new judge. | 没关系 我去换个新法官 |
[32:06] | How you gonna do that? | 要怎么换 |
[32:07] | I’m a good lawyer. | 我可是个好律师 |
[32:14] | We’re going to court. | 我们要上庭了 |
[32:16] | Fuck the union, we will finance this thing ourselves. | 去他妈的工会 我们自己出钱 |
[32:18] | You, I want you in court. | 你 我要你也出庭 |
[32:20] | Uh, uh, what is your name again? | 你叫什么来着 |
[32:22] | – Maia. – Maia. Great. | -玛娅 -玛娅 很好 |
[32:23] | – Second chair. – I… Well, thank you, sir. | -次席律师 -我…谢谢你 先生 |
[32:26] | Unfortunately we’ve run into a snag, Adrian. | 只可惜我们遇到麻烦了 阿德里安 |
[32:29] | What? | 什么麻烦 |
[32:29] | The class. Without the union’s help, | 原告人数不足 没有工会帮忙 |
[32:31] | we’re having a little trouble locating employees | 我们很难找到那些 |
[32:33] | with garnished wages. | 被抵扣工资的雇员 |
[32:34] | Check crime reports. | 去查查犯罪报告 |
[32:36] | Any business missing back-stock | 只要有丢失的库存 |
[32:37] | – they’d report it, right? – No. They tried that. | -他们就会上报的不是吗 -不行 他们试过了 |
[32:40] | Let’s post fliers. Let’s check Reddit. | 那就去发传单 到网上查 |
[32:41] | Let’s get creative. I’ve told our financial partners | 发挥创造力 我已经和资金合伙人说 |
[32:44] | that we would have 20 members in the class, so let’s get to it, | 会有20名原告 所以赶紧去找吧 |
[32:47] | – all right? – Here’s 23 employees who were accused of theft | -可以吗 -这上面有23个被其雇主 |
[32:50] | by their employer and had their wages garnished. | 指控偷窃并被扣薪水的员工资料 |
[32:52] | And I have feelers out to a dozen more. | 还有十几个备选的 |
[32:54] | And there are two more people here to be interviewed. | 外面还有两个人等着进来面试 |
[33:02] | Who is that? | 她是谁 |
[33:04] | My new assistant. | 我的新助理 |
[33:10] | You want me to recuse myself? | 你想让我回避此案 |
[33:13] | Yes, Your Honor. Regretfully. | 很遗憾是的 法官阁下 |
[33:16] | You don’t like me, Counselor? | 你不喜欢我吗 律师 |
[33:18] | No, I love you. | 不会啊 我很喜欢您 |
[33:19] | At our firm, we speak very highly of you | 在我们律所 大家都对您赞誉有加 |
[33:21] | all the time, Your Honor. | 一直如此 法官阁下 |
[33:23] | But unfortunately, in this instance, | 但不幸的是 在本案中 |
[33:24] | there is a conflict of interest. | 存在利益冲突 |
[33:26] | We’re good here, Your Honor. | 我们没问题 法官阁下 |
[33:27] | No problem. | 一点问题都没有 |
[33:28] | Isn’t this just a motion to dismiss? | 这不就是个驳回指控的动议嘛 |
[33:30] | I’m not sure how I can be conflicted out. | 我不明白我能与此案有什么利益冲突 |
[33:32] | I’ve shopped at BMI, but that’s about it. | 我在BMI的门店买过东西 也就这样 |
[33:34] | And you, sir? | 你呢 先生 |
[33:35] | Do I know you? | 我认识你吗 |
[33:37] | No, Your Honor. | 不认识 法官阁下 |
[33:38] | Nice try, Mr. Boseman, | 你已经尽力了 博斯曼先生 |
[33:40] | but I reject your motion to recuse me. | 但我还是要驳回你想让我回避此案的动议 |
[33:42] | We can start with your first witness. | 可以开始传唤你方的第一位证人了 |
[33:43] | Actually, Your Honor, there’s one more thing. | 法官阁下 其实还有一件事 |
[33:46] | You’re trying my patience, sir. | 你是在挑战我的耐心 先生 |
[33:47] | Recently you lost over a million dollars in an investment. | 最近您在一次投资中亏损了超过100万美元 |
[33:51] | Am I correct? | 我说得没错吧 |
[33:52] | That’s none of your business. | 那不关你事 |
[33:53] | And that loss has nothing to do with the matter here. | 我的损失也和本案没有任何关系 |
[33:55] | Now sit down. | 快坐下 |
[33:56] | But unfortunately, our second chair here… | 不幸的是 我方的次席律师… |
[33:59] | Uh, Maia, would you stand up and state your full name please? | 玛娅 你能站起来把全名说出来吗 |
[34:04] | Maia Rindell. | 玛娅·林德尔 |
[34:07] | As you can see, Your Honor, | 如您所见 法官阁下 |
[34:09] | since you’ve lost most of your savings | 因为您在林德尔德庞氏骗局中 |
[34:11] | to the Rindell Ponzi scheme, | 损失了绝大多数积蓄 |
[34:13] | you cannot fairly judge this case. | 所以您无法公正地判决此案 |
[34:18] | So here we all are on this lovely Wednesday afternoon. | 我们在这个美好的周三下午相聚在这里 |
[34:22] | And unfortunately, I have misplaced | 只可惜 我恰巧没找着 |
[34:25] | my prescription glasses. | 我的处方眼镜 |
[34:26] | So I will try to make do with these prescription sunglasses, | 所以我只能戴着这副处方墨镜了 |
[34:30] | if you don’t mind me looking a little bit like a movie star. | 希望你们别介意我看着跟个电影明星似的 |
[34:33] | Very becoming, Your Honor. | 您戴着真好看 法官阁下 |
[34:35] | Well, I wouldn’t go that far. | 没那么夸张啦 |
[34:37] | Coming from L.A., I’m used to it. | 我来自洛杉矶 已经习惯这种装扮了 |
[34:39] | Ah, Los Angeles. | 洛杉矶 |
[34:40] | How is your drought? | 你们那边旱情如何 |
[34:42] | Uh, improving. | 正在好转 |
[34:43] | Good. I love the way your state | 很好 我很喜欢你们州 |
[34:45] | emphasizes green energy. | 重视绿色能源的种种举措 |
[34:47] | Yes, I have a Tesla myself. | 是的 我自己就有一辆特斯拉 |
[34:49] | It’s such a wonderful car. | 真是辆好车 |
[34:51] | Your Honor, the motion to dismiss. | 法官阁下 我们在谈驳回起诉的动议 |
[34:53] | Yes, thank you, Lucca. | 是的 谢谢 卢卡 |
[34:56] | The simple fact is the plaintiff is attempting to use | 本案中的简明事实是原告试图用 |
[34:58] | the theft of 400 running shoes from my client’s… | 其从我的委托人处盗窃400双跑鞋一案 |
[35:01] | Not the theft. There is no theft here. | 并非盗窃案 本次诉讼并未涉及盗窃案 |
[35:02] | If I could finish? Thank you. | 请允许我说完 谢谢 |
[35:06] | To sue 15 respected companies. | 起诉15家受人尊敬的公司 |
[35:08] | In other words, this is a Trojan Horse… | 换句话说 这是个特洛伊木马 |
[35:10] | Actually, the metaphor I would use, Your Honor, | 实际上 我会选用的比喻 法官阁下 |
[35:12] | – is a reverse Robin Hood. – Seriously? | -是劫贫济富的罗宾汉 -你是认真的吗 |
[35:14] | Well, this is getting heated. | 争论开始激烈起来了 |
[35:15] | My client makes $40,000 a year. | 我的当事人一年挣四万美元 |
[35:18] | Ms. Stevens’ client makes $13 billion. | 史蒂文斯女士的委托人年入130亿美元 |
[35:20] | And yet every payday, | 然而每次发工资的时候 |
[35:21] | they take 40% of his take home pay. | 他们会从他的实得工资中扣除40% |
[35:23] | Okay, well, battle lines drawn. | 好了 那么战线已经很明了了 |
[35:26] | Ms. Stevens, your, your first witness. | 史蒂文斯女士 传你的第一位证人 |
[35:28] | We had a lot of theft from the store-room, | 我们的库房发生过很多盗窃事件 |
[35:30] | almost $600,000 this year. | 今年损失了约60万美元 |
[35:33] | So I was asked to question the employees. | 所以我被指派来对雇员进行问询 |
[35:35] | And why did you zero in on the plaintiff? | 你为什么会锁定原告呢 |
[35:37] | He showed signs of deception per the Friedman method. | 根据弗里德曼方法 他表现出了欺骗的迹象 |
[35:39] | This is a method utilized by the police | 这是一种被警察用来 |
[35:41] | – to question suspects? – Yes. | -审讯嫌疑人的方法吗 -是的 |
[35:43] | – And the plaintiff signed this confession? – Yes. | -被告签署了这份认罪书吗 -是的 |
[35:46] | He told us exactly how he slipped the crates into his car, | 他清楚地和我们交代了他是如何偷偷地把货箱 |
[35:49] | took them down to Maxwell Street Market, | 装入了他的车里并将其运到了麦斯威尔街市集 |
[35:51] | and sold them to a vendor for $10,000. | 以一万美元的价格卖给了一位供应商 |
[35:53] | Thank you, Mr. Diyardian. | 谢谢 帝亚蒂安先生 |
[35:54] | – He gave me that information. – Nothing more here, Your Honor. | -那信息是他给我的 -我问完了 法官阁下 |
[35:55] | Mike, could you angle that screen some more? | 迈克 你能把屏幕再多转过来点吗 |
[35:57] | These sunglasses are polarized. | 这幅太阳镜是偏光镜 |
[35:59] | Yeah, keep coming, keep coming. Ah. | 是的 继续转 再转一点 |
[36:01] | Keep coming, keep coming. | 继续 再转一点 |
[36:02] | Oh, well… | 好了 |
[36:07] | Uh, continue, please. | 请继续 |
[36:08] | Uh, just a few questions, Benji. | 就问你几个问题 班吉 |
[36:11] | Why didn’t you tell the police about the theft? | 这起盗窃案你为什么不报警呢 |
[36:15] | Excuse me? | 抱歉你说什么 |
[36:16] | Well, if it were me and I had $70,000 stolen, | 如果是我有价值七万美元的货品被窃 |
[36:18] | I would go to the police. | 我会去报警的 |
[36:20] | Well, the company would rather settle these things internally. | 公司更愿意将这些事情内部解决掉 |
[36:23] | And I’d rather you call me “Mr. Diyardian.” | 另外我更希望你叫我”帝亚蒂安先生” |
[36:25] | Oh, my apologies. | 抱歉 |
[36:27] | And Mr. Gwinn stole this $70,000, | 那么根据你的审讯结果 |
[36:30] | according to your interrogation? | 格文先生盗走了这七万美元货品吗 |
[36:32] | My interview. | 我的问询 |
[36:33] | Right, your interview. | 是的 你的问询 |
[36:35] | To your mind, Frank Gwinn is a thief, right? | 在你印象里 弗兰克·格文就是个贼 对吗 |
[36:38] | Well, he stole, yes. | 他偷东西 是的 |
[36:40] | Then why didn’t the company fire him? | 那为什么公司不解雇他 |
[36:42] | Your Honor, I-I think it’s a little odd that BMI | 法官阁下 我觉得BMI公司因为 |
[36:45] | is being censured for doing the humanitarian thing. | 其所做出的人道主义行为而被指责有点奇怪 |
[36:48] | Oh, I don’t think plaintiff is censuring them. | 我不认为原告是在指责他们 |
[36:51] | I think she just finds it odd that they kept the thief | 我觉得她只是很奇怪他们会留着小偷 |
[36:53] | on staff, as do I. | 公继续当员工 我也有同感 |
[36:56] | Well, the company just wanted an opportunity to claw back | 公司只是想有个能追回损失的 |
[36:59] | – its losses, didn’t it? – Right, it did. | -机会 不是吗 -没错 是的 |
[37:01] | So the company wanted to keep Frank employed | 所以公司继续雇佣弗兰克 |
[37:04] | so they could take from his paycheck? | 这样他们就能从他的工资里扣钱了 |
[37:05] | – Is that right? – Well, that’s not how I’d put it. | -是这样吗 -我是不会这样表述的 |
[37:07] | How would you put it, Benji? Please take your time. | 那你想如何表述 班吉 别急慢慢想 |
[37:12] | You’re suggesting bad motives here. | 你是在暗示这其中存在不良动机 |
[37:15] | But BMI thinks all its employees | 但是BMI公司认为它的所有雇员 |
[37:17] | should be allowed to make things right. | 都应该被允许改过自新 |
[37:19] | And so, even though, Frank, | 那么因此 即使弗兰克 |
[37:21] | supposedly stole $70,000, | 据传偷窃了七万美元的货品 |
[37:23] | he was still allowed to work alone | 他依然被允许在无监管的情况下 |
[37:25] | and unsupervised in the backroom? | 独自一人在库房里工作吗 |
[37:27] | Objection. Asked and answered. | 反对 重复问题 |
[37:29] | Uh, actually, no, I’d like to hear the answer. | 实际上 不是 我想听听他的回答 |
[37:33] | We trust our employees. | 我们信任我们的雇员 |
[37:34] | And that’s why you questioned him for seven hours? – | 这就是你为什么对他进行了七小时的问询吗 |
[37:36] | Objection. Argumentative. | 反对 诱导性问题 |
[37:38] | I’ll rephrase. | 我换个问法 |
[37:38] | How many hours did you question my client? | 你对我的委托人进行了多久的问询 |
[37:40] | I don’t know. I didn’t keep track. | 我不知道 我没计时 |
[37:42] | Well, uh… | 那个 |
[37:44] | uh, it says seven hours here. | 这上面写着七个小时 |
[37:52] | Oh, hello, Lucca. Good to see you’re still at it. | 你好 卢卡 很高兴看到你还在这里 |
[37:56] | And it’s um… Mai… I’m sorry, | 而这位是 玛 抱歉 |
[37:59] | – Mia. – Maia. | -米娅 -玛娅 |
[38:01] | – Maia, thank you. Hi. – Hi. | -玛娅 谢谢 你好 -你好 |
[38:02] | I’m Andrea. | 我是安德莉亚 |
[38:04] | I’m so terribly sorry about your family. | 你家里发生的事情我深表遗憾 |
[38:07] | Must be hard on you. | 对你来说一定很难熬 |
[38:09] | It’s manageable. | 还是可控的 |
[38:10] | Manageable. | 可控的 |
[38:11] | Good. | 很好 |
[38:12] | Women are taking over the world, piece by piece. | 女性正一点点接管这个世界 |
[38:16] | Um, I’m wondering if you and I could talk sometime, Lucca. | 我在想我们俩什么时候可以聊聊 卢卡 |
[38:19] | We can talk right now. | 我们现在就可以聊 |
[38:20] | Well, I-I just | 我只是 |
[38:22] | hate doing it here in a public place, but… | 不喜欢在公共场合这么做 不过 |
[38:29] | So, what’s the offer? | 那么 你们的价格是多少 |
[38:32] | Offer? | 价格 |
[38:34] | No, I-I just wanted to know where you got your hair cut. | 不 我只是想知道你是在哪理的发 |
[38:37] | I just, I love the bangs so much. | 我只是很喜欢你的刘海 |
[38:41] | A friend of mine. | 我一个朋友给我理的 |
[38:42] | – She cuts hair out of her apartment. – Really? | -她在她的公寓里给人理发 -真的吗 |
[38:45] | Could you maybe get me her number? | 你能把她的电话给我吗 |
[38:46] | – Sure. – Thank you. | -当然可以 -谢谢 |
[38:48] | Gosh. Mm. I love this, by the way. | 天啊 顺便说下 我很喜欢你这条项链 |
[38:52] | It would look great on you. | 你戴上一定会很好看 |
[38:53] | Do you want to buy it? | 你想买吗 |
[38:55] | No. | 不 |
[38:56] | I’d sooner buy the smile off the Mona Lisa. | 我宁愿把笑容从蒙娜丽莎脸上买走 |
[39:01] | See you tomorrow. | 明天见 |
[39:02] | Bye, Mia. | 再见 米娅 |
[39:14] | It was just a scare. | 只是有这个担心 |
[39:15] | Dr. Trotter found another lump. | 特罗特医生发现了另一处肿块 |
[39:17] | But he thinks it’s nothing. | 但他认为应该是良性的 |
[39:19] | – Good. – Is that why you called? | -很好 -这就是你打电话的原因吗 |
[39:21] | Oh, yes, I mean, I was told the cancer | 是的 我听说癌症 |
[39:23] | had spread to your lymph nodes. | 转移到了你的淋巴结上 |
[39:24] | Well, that’s the fear. | 那是我们担心的情况 |
[39:28] | It’s good to see you, Maia. | 见到你真好 玛娅 |
[39:31] | You look older. | 你看起来长大了 |
[39:38] | Look at me, Mom. | 看着我 妈妈 |
[39:42] | Why? | 为什么 |
[39:43] | I just want to ask you a few questions. | 我只想问你几个问题 |
[39:45] | Oh, Maia, I spent the last two weeks answering more questions | 玛娅 我上两周回答的问题 |
[39:48] | than I have in my whole life. | 比我这辈子答过的都多 |
[39:49] | Yes. And I am your daughter. | 是的 而我是你女儿 |
[39:51] | And I just want to ask you a few more. | 我只是想再多问你几个 |
[39:54] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[39:56] | Okay, I’m looking at you. | 好的 我看着你 |
[40:01] | Was there really a cancer scare? | 医生真的担心过癌症复发吗 |
[40:04] | Yes, baby, | 是的 宝贝 |
[40:06] | there was a cancer scare. | 的确有担心 |
[40:09] | And you’re not lying to me? | 你没有骗我 |
[40:13] | I’m your mother. | 我是你母亲 |
[40:17] | Is Dad guilty? | 爸爸是清白的吗 |
[40:18] | You know he’s not. | 你知道他是清白的 |
[40:21] | Are you guilty? | 你呢 |
[40:24] | No, Maia, I’m not guilty. | 不 玛娅 我也是 |
[40:28] | Uncle Jax is guilty. | 有罪的是贾克斯叔叔 |
[40:32] | You just need to trust me, baby. | 你只要相信我 宝贝 |
[40:34] | We’re family. | 我们是一家人 |
[40:39] | I don’t know if she’s lying or not. | 我不知道她有没有说谎 |
[40:44] | About the cancer? | 你是说癌症的事吗 |
[40:46] | No, about the fund. | 不 基金的事 |
[40:51] | Do you think your dad did it? | 你觉得是你爸做的吗 |
[40:53] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:56] | We were always the boring family. | 我们家一直风平浪静 |
[41:00] | I mean, | 我是说 |
[41:01] | all my friends, their… | 我朋友们… |
[41:04] | their parents were divorcing | 他们的父母要么离婚 |
[41:06] | or having affairs and… | 要么外遇… |
[41:10] | I used to lie about Mom and Dad fighting, | 我以前还编造父母吵架的故事 |
[41:14] | so that I wouldn’t seem so weird. | 好让自己显得不那么奇怪 |
[41:19] | And now… | 如今 |
[41:22] | it’s like we’re paying for all those years of happiness. | 好像在为那些年的幸福还债 |
[41:28] | That’s your parents. | 那是你父母 |
[41:30] | Doesn’t have to be you. | 你不必如此 |
[41:34] | You can be as happy as you want. | 你可以过得很幸福 |
[41:40] | And we’re back. | 我们继续 |
[41:42] | Now, here’s the thing, young man. | 问题是 年轻人 |
[41:44] | No, you can all sit down. | 不用 都坐吧 |
[41:45] | I have a question for you. | 我有个问题问你 |
[41:47] | What is supination? | 什么叫旋后 |
[41:49] | I was buying running shoes yesterday | 我昨天去买跑鞋 |
[41:50] | and they told me my feet supinate? | 他们说我脚掌旋后 |
[41:53] | Yeah, uh, supination | 旋后是说 |
[41:54] | is when your feet roll outward when you run. | 你跑步时脚掌外翻 |
[41:56] | – Oh, and that’s a bad thing? – Yes, it can be a bad thing. | -这样不好吗 -可以这么说 |
[41:58] | But that’s why you need shoes with a firmer outer sole. | 所以你需要更坚实的外鞋底 |
[42:00] | Ah. Shoes like these? | 像这种鞋吗 |
[42:01] | Uh, Your Honor, um, we do have a witness, | 法官阁下 我们有证人要请出 |
[42:05] | but if you’re feeling biased towards the plaintiff, | 但如果您对原告有同情心 |
[42:07] | we ask that we be heard on a recusal. | 那我们请求允许申请回避 |
[42:08] | No, no. No, counselor. | 不 律师 |
[42:10] | I’m just getting some advice. | 我只是寻求建议 |
[42:11] | My apologies. | 抱歉 |
[42:12] | I will work hard toward neither supinating | 脚掌旋后还是旋内 我都不偏向任何一方 |
[42:14] | nor pronating toward one side or the other. | 会公正审判 |
[42:17] | Your next witness. | 下位证人 |
[42:19] | The interviewer merely tries to ease the way | 审讯者只是要让说谎者 |
[42:21] | for a liar to admit the truth, that’s all. | 更容易承认事实而已 |
[42:24] | So you tend to minimize the crime? | 所以你试着简化案件 |
[42:26] | Yes. | 是的 |
[42:27] | According to Mr. Diyardian’s own testimony, | 根据帝亚蒂安的证词 |
[42:29] | he made it clear to the suspect | 他对疑犯说的很清楚 |
[42:30] | that the theft was not a big matter. | 偷盗不是大事 |
[42:32] | They just wanted to solve it. | 公司只想解决问题 |
[42:33] | In fact, he could understand why someone would be tempted. | 事实上 他能理解人为何会被诱惑 |
[42:36] | He was even tempted. | 他自己都觉得受诱惑 |
[42:37] | And the plaintiff has suggested | 原告暗示过 |
[42:38] | that Mr. Diyardian handed all the details | 帝亚蒂安先生把跳蚤市场的 |
[42:41] | of the flea market sale to Mr. Gwinn? | 所有销售细节交给了弗兰克·格文先生 |
[42:43] | Yes, but that’s just part of our method. | 是的 但这只是审讯法的一部分 |
[42:46] | Making it clear to the suspect | 让疑犯明白 |
[42:47] | you know all the particulars of his crime | 你知道他所有的犯罪事实 |
[42:49] | helps him feel there is no way to avoid detection. | 让他觉得不被发现是不可能的 |
[42:52] | And this is the same method used by police | 警察也是运用同样的方法 |
[42:54] | to catch criminals? | 去抓罪犯的吗 |
[42:55] | Yes, definitely. It is tried and tested. | 是的 当然 此方法已经过测试 |
[42:58] | All done here, Your Honor. | 我说完了 法官阁下 |
[43:01] | Do you want to do it? | 你想来询问吗 |
[43:07] | Well, if you don’t want to. | 你不想的话 |
[43:08] | No. No, I want to. | 不不 我想 |
[43:28] | Mr. Le Frenais. | 勒弗奈先生 |
[43:30] | La Frenais. | 是拉弗奈 |
[43:32] | La Frenais. | 拉弗奈 |
[43:35] | Is it part of your method | 在你的方法里 |
[43:39] | that you can lie to the suspect? | 可以欺骗嫌疑人对吗 |
[43:42] | Sorry, Counselor. You, uh… Can you speak up? | 抱歉 律师 能大点声吗 |
[43:45] | I think that Lisa is having problems hearing you. | 丽萨可能听不清 |
[43:47] | Yes. Of course. | 当然 |
[43:50] | Is it part of your Friedman method, sir, | 先生 在你的方法里 |
[43:53] | that you can lie to the suspect being questioned? | 可以欺骗受审讯的嫌疑人吗 |
[43:57] | Whoa. Much better, thank you. | 好多了 谢谢 |
[43:59] | It’s not part of my method. | 那不是我的方法 |
[44:00] | It’s part of the Supreme Court decision, Frazier v. Cupp. | 是最高法院决定的 弗雷泽对卡普一案 |
[44:03] | Police officers can lie to suspects. | 警察可以欺骗疑犯 |
[44:07] | And so in step number five of your method, | 那么你方法的第五步 |
[44:10] | the interviewer is to present evidence of culpability | 盘问者可以向疑犯展示 |
[44:14] | to the suspect, whether it’s true or not? | 犯罪证据 无论真实与否 |
[44:18] | Well, it’s better if the evidence is true, of course. | 当然 证据最好是真实的 |
[44:21] | But it doesn’t have to be? | 但可以不真实 |
[44:24] | No. | 没错 |
[44:26] | So when Benji presented Frank | 所以当班吉让弗兰克·格文看 |
[44:28] | with a DVD recording of him stealing | 偷价值七万美金跑步鞋的 |
[44:30] | the $70,000 in running shoes… | 录像带时 |
[44:34] | a DVD that was completely blank, | 事实上录像带是空白的 |
[44:36] | by the way… | 顺便说一句 |
[44:38] | that was A-okay with you? | 你觉得这么做没问题吗 |
[44:40] | Yes, if it helps find a crook, yes. | 没问题 如果可以找出窃贼 |
[44:45] | But doesn’t your method result | 但用你的方法不是出现过 |
[44:47] | in false confessions? | 虚假供述吗 |
[44:48] | Very few. | 很少 |
[44:50] | In fact, hasn’t your method | 事实上 你的方法 |
[44:52] | been banned by police | 不是在加拿大和英格兰 |
[44:54] | in Canada and England? | 被警方禁用了吗 |
[44:56] | I wouldn’t call it banned. They’ve chosen not to use it. | 不能叫被禁 他们选择不使用而已 |
[44:59] | Oh, because it resulted in too many false confessions? | 因为有太多虚假供述 |
[45:01] | I don’t think that’s fair. | 这样说不公平 |
[45:02] | But is it true, sir? | 但这是事实吧 先生 |
[45:07] | I’ll leave that analysis to others. | 留给大家分析吧 |
[45:10] | Analysis. What… | 分析 这… |
[45:11] | “The Friedman Method | 弗里德曼方法 |
[45:12] | “is a banned coercive technique of interrogation | 这一审讯方法 |
[45:15] | “that results in too many false confessions. | 导致太多虚假供述 |
[45:19] | “It is therefore banned within our jurisdiction.” | 因此在我们的司法系统中禁用 |
[45:23] | Do you mean analysis like that? | 你是说这样的分析吗 |
[45:25] | Who wrote that? | 这是谁写的 |
[45:26] | Melissa Starr. | 梅丽萨·斯塔 |
[45:28] | London Metropolitan Police. Scotland Yard. | 苏格兰场的伦敦警察 |
[45:31] | Okay. | 好的 |
[45:33] | Anything further? | 还有问题吗 |
[45:35] | Nothing here, Your Honor. | 没有了 法官阁下 |
[45:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[45:59] | Hi. This is Diane Lockhart’s office, | 你好 戴安·洛哈特办公室 |
[46:00] | and I’m her assistant, Marissa. How may I help you? | 我是她助理 梅丽莎 有何需要 |
[46:04] | It’s Dr. Ainsworth at Harbor Hospital. | 是港湾医院医院的安斯沃斯医生 |
[46:06] | – Do you want to call him back? – Please. | -你要给他回电吗 -麻烦了 |
[46:08] | Diane. You didn’t like any of the applicants? | 戴安 那些申请人你都不喜欢吗 |
[46:12] | Oh, for the assistant’s job? | 助理申请人吗 |
[46:14] | Uh, no, I did. It’s just that I know Marissa, | 不 我喜欢 只是我认识梅丽莎 |
[46:16] | and she’s on the ball. She’s good. | 她很机灵 很不错 |
[46:18] | You’ll see. | 你也会看到的 |
[46:25] | Okay. This is our offer. | 好吧 这是我们的和解方案 |
[46:27] | $500,000 to Frank Gwinn. | 我们同意支付弗兰克·格文50万 |
[46:29] | No class action. | 无集体诉讼 |
[46:30] | If the firm pursues a class action, | 如果贵司坚持集体诉讼 |
[46:32] | our offer goes away and Frank gets nothing. | 赔偿提议作废 弗兰克一毛钱没有 |
[46:35] | Lot of money for a guy pulling in 40 grand a year. | 对于一年赚四万块的人来说这笔钱不少了 |
[46:42] | What do you think of that, Maia? | 你觉得怎么样 玛娅 |
[46:47] | I think we’ll have to get back to you. | 我觉得 我们之后会再联系你 |
[46:51] | Okay. | 好 |
[46:53] | In the next, uh, two hours, | 在接下来 两个小时内给答复 |
[46:55] | or we go back to court, and destroy you. | 不然我们继续法庭见 而我会打败你们 |
[47:00] | Ms. Stevens. | 史蒂文斯女士 |
[47:01] | – Yeah. – I have an answer for you now. | -什么 -我现在就可以给你答复 |
[47:04] | Oh. Great. | 太好了 |
[47:06] | My hair stylist’s number. | 我发型师的电话号码 |
[47:16] | Well? | 怎么办 |
[47:19] | We got a decision to make. | 我们得做个决定 |
[47:21] | No. It’s not enough money for us to take. | 不 这钱都不够给我们分的 |
[47:23] | It’s not your decision. It’s the client’s. | 这不是你说了算的 客户才能决定 |
[47:26] | No. It’s a decision for the whole class: | 不 这是集体决定的答复 |
[47:27] | all 24 clients. | 所有24个客户 |
[47:29] | The algorithm says we stay in. | 算法显示我们要继续战斗下去 |
[47:31] | This is crazy. | 疯了吧 |
[47:32] | You can’t have them decide what we do. | 你不能让他们去决定我们去做什么 |
[47:34] | They’re paying the bills, Lucca. | 卢卡 账单是他们付 |
[47:36] | Yes, but Frank needs the money. | 你说得对 但是弗兰克需要这笔钱 |
[47:37] | If we pass on this, he could get nothing. | 如果我们说不 他可能最终一个子都没 |
[47:39] | Or he could get a whole lot more. | 又或者最终得到更多 |
[47:41] | Let’s just wait and see. | 我们走一步看一步吧 |
[47:48] | I just have one last question for you, Frank. | 我只问你最后一个问题 弗兰克 |
[47:51] | Why did you confess? | 你为什么要认罪呢 |
[47:53] | If you didn’t do it, then why would you confess? | 如果你没做 为什么要认罪 |
[47:57] | He made it seem like it was the only way out. | 他做出了我别无选择的样子 |
[47:59] | He had a DVD of me doing it. | 他有我犯罪的DVD证据 |
[48:01] | And if you knew there was nothing on that DVD, | 如果你明知道DVD里什么都没有 |
[48:03] | then why would you confess? | 为什么要认罪 |
[48:06] | I felt helpless. | 我觉得很无助 |
[48:07] | I was exhausted. | 我累了 |
[48:08] | He had me convinced that I just repressed the memory. | 他让我相信我只是暂时失忆了 |
[48:11] | He said he had a witness who swore | 他说他有个证人宣誓说 |
[48:12] | that I was down at a flea market, selling the shoes. | 看到我去了跳蚤市场卖鞋 |
[48:14] | – Were you? – No. | -你有吗 -没有 |
[48:16] | But he said he was gonna give all this to the cops | 但是他说如果我没有向公司坦白一切 |
[48:18] | if I didn’t come clean to the company. | 他就要把这些都交给警察 |
[48:19] | Come clean, meaning? | 坦白一切是指 |
[48:21] | Sign this statement that he wrote up. | 在他写的声明上签字 |
[48:22] | – And so you signed it? – Yes. | -你签了吗 -我签了 |
[48:23] | He said that I could keep my job, | 他说我能保住工作 |
[48:25] | he said that the questioning would be over. | 他说对我的疑虑会消散 |
[48:27] | He said that I would still be on management track. | 他说我仍然有望晋升管理层 |
[48:29] | Did you know that Benji gets a bonus | 你知道每多一个人向班吉自白 |
[48:32] | for every employee he gets to confess? | 班吉就多一份奖金吗 |
[48:34] | Objection. No foundation. | 反对 无事实根据 |
[48:36] | Uh, that is definitely sustained. | 绝对反对有效 |
[48:38] | Okay, um, I think | 好了 我觉得 |
[48:40] | I’m ready to rule on this motion. | 我对此动议有裁定了 |
[48:41] | Uh, Your Honor, i’d like to cross-examine. | 法官阁下 我想要盘问证人 |
[48:44] | This is not a full trial. | 这不是全面庭审 |
[48:45] | This is merely a motion to dismiss. | 这不过是驳回起诉动议的裁定罢了 |
[48:47] | Yeah, I know, but this information just came into our hands. | 是的我知道 但是这是刚到我们手上的信息 |
[48:49] | We were hoping to use it at trial, | 我们本来希望在庭审用上它的 |
[48:51] | but we think we can save the court a lot of time and money | 但是我们认为如果我们现在就能用上的话 |
[48:54] | if we could ask it now. | 可以为法庭省下很多时间和金钱 |
[48:56] | I… am enticed. | 我心动了 |
[48:58] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢您 法官阁下 |
[49:01] | Mr. Gwinn, where did you work before BMI? | 格文先生 你入职BMI之前在哪个公司工作 |
[49:04] | Various places. I worked as a temp. | 很多公司 我是临时工 |
[49:06] | And was one these places Tolleson Accounting? | 有其中一个公司叫拖乐森会计师事务所吗 |
[49:08] | – Yes. – You had a clerical job there? | -有 -你在那里当过文员吗 |
[49:14] | I’ll take that as a yes. | 我当这是说是了 |
[49:15] | And were you asked to leave? | 你有被要求自动离职吗 |
[49:18] | I didn’t do it. | 不是我做的 |
[49:20] | Yeah. I think you know what’s coming, Frank. | 我想你知道接下来的问题了 弗兰克 |
[49:22] | There was a petty cash situation, | 有一个备用金账户 |
[49:24] | several hundred dollars? | 几百块的样子对吧 |
[49:27] | And were you accused of taking it? | 你被控诉私自挪用吗 |
[49:29] | I told them I didn’t take it. | 我告诉他们钱不是我拿的 |
[49:30] | But you agreed to leave | 然而你同意说如果他们不报警 |
[49:31] | if they didn’t call the cops? | 你就离职对吗 |
[49:33] | Objection, there is no record of this. | 反对 无记录 |
[49:35] | Our investigators questioned this business. | 我们的调查员已经询问过此事了 |
[49:37] | Yes, because the manager at the time | 是的 因为当时的经理 |
[49:40] | talked only to our investigator, | 只和我们的调查员说过这件事 |
[49:42] | and signed this affidavit. | 并签下了宣誓书 |
[49:44] | I didn’t do it. | 我没做过 |
[49:45] | In it, he swears that Frank took the money, | 宣誓书里 当时的经理宣誓弗兰克 |
[49:47] | then when he was caught, promised to return it | 拿了那笔备用金 后来他被抓时保证 |
[49:49] | if they kept the theft secret. | 只要他们保密 他就归还 |
[49:51] | That’s a lie! | 他说谎 |
[49:52] | That’s a complete and total lie. | 彻头彻尾的谎言 |
[49:54] | Okay. That is information | 好的 我会把这个信息 |
[49:56] | I will take into consideration. | 纳入考量 |
[49:57] | Does the defendant have any more questions? | 被告有其他问题吗 |
[49:59] | Nothing more, Your Honor. | 没有了 法官阁下 |
[50:00] | Unless the plaintiff has anything more, | 除非原告还有其他问题 |
[50:02] | I will rule on this motion. | 不然我就对动议进行裁定了 |
[50:09] | I hate losing. | 我讨厌输 |
[50:13] | It was a good effort. | 你已经尽力了 |
[50:15] | Does this impact the class? | 这个结果会影响集体诉讼吗 |
[50:17] | Yes, unfortunately. | 很遗憾 会的 |
[50:20] | The litigation financiers dropped out. | 诉讼资助退出了 |
[50:23] | I thought he was telling the truth. | 我以为他说的是实话 |
[50:25] | Well, maybe he was. | 或许吧 |
[50:26] | About the running shoes. | 跑步鞋那部分估计是真的 |
[50:28] | You know, people can lie and still be telling the truth. | 知道吗 人是可以撒谎的同时说真话的 |
[50:32] | Nobody’s a hundred percent of any one thing. | 没有人是非黑即白 |
[50:38] | My mom lied about her cancer. | 我妈妈癌症的事情就说谎了 |
[50:42] | It was a scare. | 只是有担心而已 |
[50:44] | It wasn’t real. | 但不是真复发 |
[50:45] | She just wanted to see me. | 她不过是想见我 |
[50:52] | She’s lonely. | 她寂寞了 |
[50:55] | People get desperate when they’re lonely. | 人寂寞时总会不顾一切 |
[50:58] | You should go see her. | 你应该去看看她 |
[51:07] | Mom? | 妈妈 |
[51:14] | Mom? | 妈妈 |
[51:19] | Maia, what are you doing? | 玛娅 你来干什么 |
[51:21] | I wanted to see how you were. | 我想看看你怎么样 |
[51:23] | Good. | 好 |
[51:24] | I was just going to bed. | 我就要睡了 |
[51:27] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[51:29] | Why don’t we have breakfast tomorrow? | 明天一起吃早餐吧 |
[51:34] | Whose car is that outside? | 外面是谁的车 |
[51:36] | Just the painters were here yesterday. They left one. | 昨天有粉刷工过来 他们有一辆车没开走 |
[51:39] | Where’s the tea, Lenore? | 茶呢 丽诺 |
[51:45] | It’s not a good time. | 这不是个好时机 |
[51:49] | Hi, Uncle Jax. | 你好 贾克斯叔叔 |