时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | You figured out who her mother is yet? | 你查出她母亲是谁了吗 |
[00:07] | Think she looks a little like Michelle Pfeiffer, | 我觉得她有点像女星米歇尔·菲佛 |
[00:09] | you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[00:10] | Hi, Sierra, right? | 你是谢拉对吧 |
[00:11] | Yeah, that’s right. | 没错 我是 |
[00:12] | – How’s it going? – Great, actually. | -你好吗 -好极了 |
[00:14] | If you ever wanted a workout buddy or a drinking buddy, | 如果你需要人陪你健身或者喝酒 |
[00:17] | – I do both a lot, so… – Hey, look. | -我都经常做这些 -看 |
[00:22] | I think I’ve lost like eight pounds. | 我好像减了八磅 |
[00:24] | You really didn’t have to do this. | 你真的没必要做这些 |
[00:25] | It’s like enough food for a week. | 这些足够吃一周了 |
[00:26] | Vikram is very skinny. | 维克拉姆太瘦了 |
[00:28] | – I know. – A husband should be fat. | -我知道 -一个丈夫应该是胖胖的才对 |
[00:31] | – It shows he’s happy. – Vik’s happy. | -这说明他很开心 -维克很开心 |
[00:33] | You know, I’m actually starting to understand | 我觉得我真的开始明白 |
[00:37] | why people like L.A. | 人们为何喜欢洛杉矶了 |
[00:40] | What do you think about that? | 你有什么看法 |
[00:43] | Vik? | 维克 |
[00:46] | Why do none of the other animals | 为什么没有其他动物 |
[00:48] | stand up to the tyrant Napoleon? | 站出来反抗暴君拿破仑 |
[00:48] | 《动物庄园》 乔治·奥威尔著 | |
[00:50] | Here, just read the passage. | 拿着 读一下这篇文章 |
[00:51] | I said no. | 我不要 |
[00:56] | Principal Wilson. | 威尔逊校长 |
[00:57] | Don’t mind me. | 不用管我 |
[00:58] | So, should I be worried about Janelle? | 我该担心贾内尔吗 |
[01:00] | To be honest, I think she’s overcompensating. | 说实话 我觉得她在矫枉过正 |
[01:04] | Joel, what does “RD” Mean | 乔尔 “RD”是什么意思 |
[01:06] | He was supposed to graduate last spring. | 他去年春天就该毕业了 |
[01:09] | Plagiarized in the second semester, | 他第二学期抄袭被抓 |
[01:11] | so Janelle made your predecessor fail him. | 所以贾内尔让你的前任老师挂了他 |
[01:14] | I want to talk about your essay. | 我想和你谈谈你的论文 |
[01:16] | What about it? | 关于什么 |
[01:17] | It’s really, really good. | 写得非常非常好 |
[01:19] | So, what I want to know is– | 所以 我想知道 |
[01:20] | who wrote this brilliant essay? | 这么棒的文章是谁写的 |
[01:22] | ‘Cause I don’t think it was you. | 因为我不认为是你 |
[01:24] | Fuck you. | 去你妈的 |
[02:48] | All right, so let me get this straight. | 好吧 我来捋一下 |
[02:51] | She was married to you, | 她先是跟你结了婚 |
[02:54] | and then she cheated with you. | 然后她跟你出轨 |
[02:57] | And then she left you for you. | 然后她离开了你 是为了你 |
[03:00] | And then she cheated on you with you. | 然后她又和你合伙把你绿了 |
[03:04] | And then she had your baby, | 然后她生了你的孩子 |
[03:06] | but then said it was your baby. | 但又说孩子是你的 |
[03:09] | Did I get that right? | 我说的对吗 |
[03:11] | Pretty much. | 差不多就是这样 |
[03:13] | Damn. | 该死的 |
[03:15] | White people crazy, man. | 白人真是疯狂 |
[03:16] | That is some real Maury Povich shit right there. | 简直是现实版的《莫里秀》 |
[03:20] | – Athena? – Hey, Cole. | -雅典娜 -嗨 科尔 |
[03:22] | What’s the latest? | 有什么消息 |
[03:23] | The police just came by. | 警察刚刚来过 |
[03:24] | They said no sign of forced entry. | 他们说没有强行入室的迹象 |
[03:26] | Her things are all still there. | 她的东西都完好无损 |
[03:28] | It looks like she just walked out of the house | 看起来就是她外出后 |
[03:30] | and didn’t come back. | 没再回来 |
[03:32] | Were they able to unlock her phone? | 警察能解锁她的手机吗 |
[03:33] | No, but the cops obtained her phone records. | 没有 但警察获得了她的通话记录 |
[03:36] | Who’s the last person she called? | 她最后联系过谁 |
[03:38] | The last person she called was Ben. | 最后通话的人叫本 |
[03:41] | When? | 何时 |
[03:42] | Three days ago. | 三天前 |
[03:45] | Have they talked to him? | 警察找过他吗 |
[03:46] | Yeah, but they won’t tell me exactly what he said. | 找了 但警察不肯透露他说了什么 |
[03:49] | But apparently, he doesn’t know where she is, either. | 但很明显 本也不知道她在哪 |
[03:52] | All right, I’ll talk to him myself. | 好的 我会亲自找他 |
[03:55] | Where are you? | 你在哪 |
[03:56] | Somewhere in Pennsylvania. | 宾夕法尼亚州的某处 |
[03:57] | I’m trying to get back as quick as I can. | 我会尽快回去 |
[04:00] | I’ll call you as soon as we make New York. | 我们到了纽约就打给你 |
[04:02] | Okay. | 好的 |
[04:05] | Who’s Ben? | 本是谁 |
[04:07] | The guy she’s been seeing. | 她最近约会的对象 |
[04:09] | Isn’t he married? | 他不是结婚了吗 |
[04:12] | Girl’s got a type. | 这女人就喜欢这款 |
[04:19] | 第一话 诺亚 | |
[04:19] | So he messed up. | 他是搞砸了 |
[04:20] | But don’t we believe in second chances? | 但为什么不给他第二次机会呢 |
[04:23] | And if any of our kids deserves a second chance, | 如果说谁值得有第二次机会 |
[04:26] | it’s Alexis. | 那就是亚历克西斯 |
[04:26] | Did you know that both of his parents are addicts? | 你知道他父母都是瘾君子吗 |
[04:29] | So you disapprove of | 所以你不赞成 |
[04:30] | how I handled things with Alexis? | 我处理亚历克西斯这事的方式 |
[04:32] | No. | 不 |
[04:34] | I mean yes. I just… | 我的意思是 是的 |
[04:35] | Alexis is a product of his environment, | 亚历克西斯被环境影响了 |
[04:38] | and his actions reflect that. | 才做出那些事 |
[04:40] | So we’re basically suspending him | 所以我们让他停学 |
[04:42] | because of where he comes from. | 是因为他的出身 |
[04:43] | Alexis wasn’t suspended | 亚历克西斯没有因为 |
[04:44] | because of where he comes from, Megan. | 他的出身被停学 梅甘 |
[04:46] | He was suspended because he set fire | 他被停学是因为 |
[04:49] | to a trash can in your algebra class. | 他在代数课上点着了垃圾桶 |
[04:53] | Anyone else have a student they’d like to discuss? | 还有谁想发言吗 |
[04:55] | We need to move on. | 我们要进行下一话题 |
[04:56] | We’re not ready to move on. | 我们还没想讨论下一话题 |
[04:58] | It’s only October, | 刚刚十月而已 |
[05:00] | and we’re at what already, eight suspensions? | 我们已经停了几个人了 八个吗 |
[05:02] | Look, Janelle, | 贾内尔 |
[05:03] | when we heard that you were coming over from Marshall, | 当我们知道你来自马歇尔学校时 |
[05:05] | we were so excited to have you here. | 我们非常欢迎你来这里 |
[05:07] | I mean, that is a tough school, but… | 我是说 在那个学校不容易 但是 |
[05:12] | since you’ve been here, | 自从你来了以后 |
[05:13] | the culture of our little school has really changed. | 我们学校的风气已经变了 |
[05:15] | I mean, all of these rules and these suspensions. | 我指 这些校规和停学 |
[05:18] | Because right after I got here, Megan, | 因为我来了以后 梅甘 |
[05:20] | we took in students from a failing school. | 我们接收那所开不下去的学校来的学生 |
[05:23] | Students no one else wanted | 那些学生没人想要 |
[05:24] | because of the discipline problems they brought. | 因为他们会带来的纪律问题 |
[05:26] | I think what Megan is trying to say | 我想梅甘是想说 |
[05:28] | is that you came in last year pushing an agenda. | 你去年来后推进了议程 |
[05:31] | You’re a first-time principal wanting to cause a splash. | 你是想有所作为的第一次当校长的人 |
[05:34] | We gave your whole nonnegotiable discipline policy a fair shake. | 所以我们试了一下你那套死板的政策 |
[05:39] | It didn’t work, and now it’s time to try something else. | 它不奏效 现在该试试其他的了 |
[05:42] | When I was at Stanford, | 我在斯坦福时 |
[05:43] | I took a whole class on restorative justice, | 我上过一堂恢复性司法的课 |
[05:45] | and we were thinking | 所以我们在想 |
[05:47] | that I could lead a workshop in talking circles. | 我可以组织一次自由讨论会 |
[05:49] | Restorative justice has been a spectacular failure | 恢复性司法在洛杉矶联合校区系统中 |
[05:52] | – in the LAUSD system. – Well, Janelle, | -是很失败的 -贾内尔 |
[05:54] | perhaps that’s because the LAUSD teachers | 可能因为洛杉矶联合校区的老师们 |
[05:56] | aren’t as committed as we are to– | 没有我们这么坚持 |
[05:58] | Why is that, Joel? | 为什么呢 乔尔 |
[05:59] | Because they’re not as white as you are? | 因为他们没你白吗 |
[06:01] | For God sakes, Kristina, enough. | 我的天啊 克里斯蒂娜 你够了 |
[06:03] | Listen. If y’all want to talk about alternative discipline, | 听着 如果你们想讨论另一套校规 |
[06:06] | we can have that conversation. | 我们可以谈谈 |
[06:08] | But let me ask you a question. | 但让我来问个问题 |
[06:10] | What would have happened at your high schools | 如果在你们高中 |
[06:11] | if a kid had set fire to a trash can? | 有同学烧了垃圾桶 那会怎样 |
[06:16] | Right? | 对吧 |
[06:17] | So why are we gonna ghettoize our students | 那我们为什么要通过容忍 |
[06:19] | by tolerating behavior that would never fly | 在郊区白人学校绝不会接受的行为 |
[06:21] | at a suburban white school? | 来使我们的学生变得特殊化 |
[06:23] | Are our expectations for them really so low? | 我们对他们的期望就那么低吗 |
[06:29] | Now, are there any other students of concern we need to discuss? | 现在 还有别的问题学生需要讨论吗 |
[06:34] | Actually, yeah. | 实际上 还有 |
[06:35] | I have, uh, a student in my AP English class I’m worried about. | 我在语文预修课上有个令人操心的学生 |
[06:38] | Anton Gatewood. | 他叫安东·盖特伍德 |
[06:40] | I think he may be brilliant. | 我觉得他也许很出色 |
[06:42] | He’s a really gifted writer, | 他真的是一个很有天赋的作家 |
[06:43] | but he’s angry, he’s beaten down. | 但他很愤怒 很垂头丧气 |
[06:46] | And I’m not sure what… | 我不确定… |
[06:47] | what’s going on in his home life, | 他的家庭生活怎么样 |
[06:49] | but, uh… | 但是… |
[06:50] | I just feel he’s under a lot of pressure. | 我感觉到他压力很大 |
[06:52] | So I thought maybe we should all just keep an eye on him. | 所以我们都应该关注一下他 |
[06:56] | I get the sense this kid could really | 我的直觉告诉我 这个孩子 |
[06:58] | do something with his life. | 能成大事 |
[07:00] | Like you did, Mr. Solloway? | 就像你一样吗 索洛维先生 |
[07:13] | Dude, that was spectacular. | 兄弟 你刚才的表现真是壮举 |
[07:15] | What? | 什么 |
[07:15] | This is why you’re such a good writer, man. | 这就是为什么你是个优秀的作家 兄弟 |
[07:17] | The way you think is so twisted. | 因为你的思维如此反常 |
[07:19] | What? I-I’m not following. | 什么 我不懂你在说什么 |
[07:20] | Bring up her own son in morning meeting. | 你在晨会上提到她的儿子 |
[07:22] | That takes balls. | 这需要很大的勇气 |
[07:23] | I respect you. | 我很敬佩你 |
[07:25] | I wish I was you. | 真希望我是你 |
[07:27] | Whose son? | 谁的儿子 |
[07:28] | Janelle’s. | 贾内尔的儿子 |
[07:30] | Wait. | 等等 |
[07:32] | You-you telling me Anton is Janelle’s– | 你说安东是贾内尔的 |
[07:34] | Janelle’s son. | 贾内尔的儿子 |
[07:35] | Yeah. You didn’t know that? | 对 你不知道吗 |
[07:38] | How would I know that? | 我怎么会知道 |
[07:39] | How would you not know that? | 你怎么会不知道 |
[07:40] | What, you go home and live under a rock or something? | 你在家与世隔绝了吗 |
[07:43] | – Fuck. – Shit, man. | -见鬼了 -该死 兄弟 |
[07:44] | I gotta take you out for a drink, | 我要带你出去喝一杯 |
[07:46] | give you the lay of the political landscape around here. | 跟你说说这里的”政治面貌” |
[07:48] | Plus, I want to know what you think of my book. | 我还想知道你觉得我的书怎么样 |
[07:53] | Yeah, no, I-I’m not quite done with it yet, but– | 不 我还没读完 但… |
[07:55] | Relax. I’m kidding. | 放轻松 我在开玩笑 |
[07:56] | Sort of. | 算是吧 |
[07:58] | Don’t sweat the Anton stuff. | 别担心安东的事情 |
[07:59] | You’re 100% right, okay, man? He’s brilliant. | 你百分之百是对的 兄弟 他很棒 |
[08:02] | Kid would be at Princeton right now | 要不是因为他的妈妈 |
[08:03] | if it wasn’t for his mother. | 他现在应该在普林斯顿大学 |
[08:06] | What do you mean? I thought he plagiarized. | 什么意思 我以为他是抄袭的 |
[08:07] | Yeah, but that’s not a fail-able offense. | 是的 但那不是什么可以挂科的过失 |
[08:09] | At least not at this school. | 至少在这间学校不是 |
[08:10] | We usually just give the kid a stern talking-to, | 我们通常会跟孩子进行严厉的谈话 |
[08:13] | make him redo the paper. | 让他重写论文 |
[08:15] | That is, until Madea over there showed up | 玛蒂亚出现后 就变得不一样了 |
[08:17] | and decided to make an example out of her own son. | 她想拿自己的儿子杀鸡儆猴 |
[08:19] | Jesus. | 天呐 |
[08:26] | Oh, she hates me now. | 她现在很讨厌我 |
[08:28] | Don’t worry. She hates us all. | 别担心 她讨厌我们所有人 |
[08:40] | I wanted to apologize. | 我想向你道歉 |
[08:50] | Obviously, I had no idea that Anton was your son. | 显然 我不知道安东是你的儿子 |
[08:55] | You know I almost laughed | 你知道董事会让我雇用一个前科犯的时候 |
[08:56] | when my board told me I had to hire some ex-con? | 我差点笑出声吗 |
[09:00] | I mean, can you imagine if you were black? | 你能想象 如果你是黑人会怎么样吗 |
[09:06] | But whatever. | 但是无所谓了 |
[09:07] | I get that it’s good PR to have some celebrity novelist | 我明白这有利于形象 他们请名人小说家 |
[09:10] | slumming it with all these poor kids. | 来跟这些可怜的孩子体验下层社会的生活 |
[09:14] | But do me a favor– while you’re here, | 请你帮个忙 你在这里的时候 |
[09:16] | please don’t pretend to be a real teacher. | 别假装是个真正的老师 |
[09:23] | I am a novelist– a pretty well-respected one– | 我是一个受尊敬的小说家 |
[09:27] | but before I sold a single book, I was a teacher for a decade. | 但在我卖出第一本书前 我教了十年书 |
[09:31] | A good one. | 我是个好老师 |
[09:34] | I fought my ass off | 我拼了命 |
[09:36] | and went through months of community service | 做了几个月的社区服务 |
[09:40] | and counseling to be allowed to teach again. | 和顾问 就是为了能再成为老师 |
[09:43] | I want to be here. | 我想在这里工作 |
[09:46] | And I’d also really like to help Anton. | 我也很想帮助安东 |
[09:52] | You really want to help Anton? | 你真想帮助安东吗 |
[09:56] | Leave him out of your next book. | 那就别把他写进你的下一本书 |
[10:08] | Okay. Let’s get started, everyone. | 开始上课了 各位 |
[10:10] | Quiet, please. | 请安静 |
[10:15] | Sharee, will you sit down, please? Sharee! | 雪瑞 你能坐下吗 雪瑞 |
[10:18] | – Sharee, sit down, please, now. – It-it’s bullshit. | -雪瑞 请立刻坐下 -一派胡言 |
[10:19] | – He didn’t do nothing. – I know! Man. | -他什么都没干 -我知道 伙计 |
[10:21] | Fuck’s your problem? | 你他妈有什么问题吗 |
[10:27] | Quiet. Let’s start. | 安静 上课了 |
[10:30] | Let’s get going! | 上课了 |
[10:32] | Jesus, mister, you crazy? | 天呐 老师 你疯了吗 |
[10:34] | Just ready to get going. | 只是准备上课了 |
[10:37] | Anybody seen Jaime? | 有人看到海米了吗 |
[10:38] | That’s what I’ve been saying. He got suspended. | 我一直在说这个 他被停学了 |
[10:41] | Don’t you think it’s bullshit, mister? | 你不觉得这是在扯淡吗 老师 |
[10:46] | Depends on what he was doing. | 要看他干了什么 |
[10:47] | He cussed out Mr. Nance. | 他大骂了南斯先生 |
[10:49] | But Mr. Nance was being a dick, Mr. Solloway. | 但南斯先生当时就在犯浑 索洛维先生 |
[10:51] | Why they gotta suspend him just for that? | 为什么他们要因此停了他的课 |
[10:53] | People who run this school is crazy. | 管理这个学校的人简直疯了 |
[10:56] | All right, take it easy, Carlos. | 冷静点 卡洛斯 |
[10:58] | Hate to see you get suspended, too. | 我不想看到你也被停学 |
[11:01] | Right, today we’re gonna start a new unit The Waste Land. | 今天我们要讲新的单元 《荒原》 |
[11:05] | So, everybody, look down on your desks. | 各位 看看你们的桌子 |
[11:08] | Tell me what you see. | 告诉我你们看到了什么 |
[11:10] | Looks like a book to me. | 我看到了一本书 |
[11:12] | Great. “A book.” | 很好 一本书 |
[11:15] | What else? | 还有呢 |
[11:21] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[11:23] | Anybody. | 有人说说吗 |
[11:24] | Blanca, what do you see? | 布兰卡 你看到了什么 |
[11:27] | I don’t know, mister. | 我不知道 老师 |
[11:28] | Creepy old white dude? | 怪异的白人老家伙 |
[11:30] | Are you talking about Mr. Solloway | 你是在说索洛维先生 |
[11:32] | or the guy on the cover? | 还是封面上那个家伙 |
[11:35] | “Creepy old white dude.” | 怪异的白人老家伙 |
[11:43] | Okay, let’s go deeper. | 我们深入一点 |
[11:44] | This is what is called “Previewing.” | 这叫”预视” |
[11:47] | It’s making intelligent predictions | 是根据第一印象 |
[11:48] | about what a book is about based on first impressions. | 对书本的内容进行预测 |
[11:53] | So flip through your books, | 请快速翻阅你们的书 |
[11:54] | and based on the language and the images you see, | 然后基于你们所看到的文字和图片 |
[11:57] | tell me what you think it’s gonna be about. | 告诉我你觉得这本书是关于什么的 |
[12:01] | A poem about something boring. | 是关于无聊事物的一首诗 |
[12:04] | “Something boring.” | 无聊事物 |
[12:06] | – What else? – Wait. | -还有吗 -等等 |
[12:08] | Look, y’all. It says right here “Ejaculations.” | 你们快看 这里写着”射精” |
[12:11] | Something about… | 是关于… |
[12:13] | “Impious ejaculations.” | “不虔诚的射精” |
[12:16] | I officially predict this is gonna be a porno. | 我正式地预测这是色情文学 |
[12:27] | Okay, so we think “The Waste Land” may be a porno. | 所以《荒原》可能是本小黄书 |
[12:30] | What else? | 还有呢 |
[12:33] | Come on, anybody. | 快点 还有其他人吗 |
[12:35] | Anton, what do you think? | 安东 你认为呢 |
[12:40] | Pretty sure it’s another book by another dead white guy | 又是一本死掉的白人写的跟我们 |
[12:44] | that ain’t got shit to do with us. | 没半毛钱关系的书 |
[12:46] | Okay, so we’ve already established that “The Waste Land” | 我们已经说了《荒原》的 |
[12:48] | was written by a creepy old white dude. | 作者是个怪异的白人老头 |
[12:49] | Why are you so sure that this | 为什么你这么确定 |
[12:51] | is completely irrelevant to your lives? | 这和你们的人生没有关系 |
[12:53] | How’s it trying to hide it? | 它也没遮遮掩掩的 |
[12:55] | It says right there in the dude’s bio, | 就写在这个人的简介里 |
[12:57] | one of his major themes is nostalgia. | 他的一大主题是怀旧 |
[13:00] | All about him wanting to go back to the past, | 说的都是他想回到过去 |
[13:02] | when life was better. | 那些更好的日子 |
[13:04] | Make America great again, bitches. | 让美国再次伟大 贱人们 |
[13:06] | Right. | 对 |
[13:07] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[13:08] | When life was better for who? | 那些对谁而言更好的日子 |
[13:11] | What I want to know, Mr. Solloway, | 我想知道的是 索洛维先生 |
[13:14] | is why the hell we’re reading this shit anyways. | 是为什么我们要读这本小破书 |
[13:18] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[13:23] | Well, so… so who should we be reading? | 那我们该读谁的书呢 |
[13:26] | I don’t know. James Baldwin. | 我不知道 詹姆斯·鲍德温 |
[13:28] | Borges. Octavia Butler. | 博尔赫斯 奥克塔维娅·巴特勒 |
[13:28] | 豪尔赫·路易斯·博尔赫斯 阿根廷诗人 小说家 散文家 后者为美国黑人女性科幻小说作家 | |
[13:30] | Junot Diaz. Ta-Nehisi Coates. | 朱诺特·迪亚兹 塔那西斯·科茨 |
[13:30] | 前者为美籍多米尼加裔作家 普利策奖获得者 后者为美国黑人作家 记者 漫画编剧 | |
[13:32] | Cornel West. I’ll keep going. | 康奈尔·韦斯特 我还能继续 |
[13:34] | Cornel West. | 康奈尔·韦斯特 |
[13:36] | Guess where he teaches. | 猜猜他在哪儿任教 |
[13:41] | Princeton. | 普林斯顿 |
[13:45] | So, the first time I read “The Waste Land”, | 我第一次读《荒原》 |
[13:47] | I was in college. | 还是大学的时候 |
[13:50] | And I could tell it was brilliant, but… | 我看得出这书很棒 但是 |
[13:53] | I couldn’t understand what it was actually about. | 我无法理解它到底在讲什么 |
[13:55] | It was like reading a foreign language. | 就像读外语一样 |
[13:56] | Completely kicked my ass. | 让我抓头挠腮 |
[13:59] | But everyone else in my freshman lit seminar | 但我大一文学课上的其他同学 |
[14:02] | had read it already. | 都已经读过了 |
[14:04] | They could speak this language. | 他们看得懂这种语言 |
[14:06] | And so the whole time we were discussing this book, | 所以讨论这本书时 从始至终 |
[14:08] | I was silent. | 我没有发言 |
[14:10] | I was too scared to speak up. | 我不敢发言 |
[14:13] | So, one of the reasons | 所以 你应该读读 |
[14:15] | why you should read “The Waste Land” | 《荒原》的其中一个原因就是 |
[14:16] | is so that when you go to college, | 等你上大学了 |
[14:21] | you’ll be better prepared than I was. | 你会比我准备得更充分 |
[14:23] | Yeah, man, but why I gotta worry | 但我为什么得担心 |
[14:24] | about meeting them on their field? | 和他们讨论我不熟悉的领域 |
[14:26] | How about they worry about being welcome on mine? | 为什么不让他们和我讨论我擅长的呢 |
[14:29] | Because they won’t, Anton. | 因为他们不会 安东 |
[14:33] | That’s just not the way the world works. | 世间万物非如你所愿 |
[14:36] | That’s bullshit. | 真操蛋 |
[14:37] | I agree with you. | 我同意 |
[14:39] | So come on, what can you do about it? | 那你能怎么办 |
[14:42] | I guess nothing. | 什么都不干 |
[14:44] | Why not? | 为什么 |
[14:45] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[14:47] | What can I do about it? You tell me. | 我该怎么办 你告诉我 |
[14:49] | Well, if you want to be heard, you gotta speak. | 如果你希望别人听见你 你得开口 |
[14:52] | You can’t just sit at the back of the class, scowling, | 不能就这么坐在教室后面 愁眉苦脸 |
[14:54] | with your head in a hoodie, and think things will change. | 戴着兜帽 希冀事情会有所改变 |
[14:58] | Dawg, if we speak, | 老兄 如果我们开口 |
[15:00] | Anton’s mommy will suspend us. | 安东的妈妈会让我们停学的 |
[15:02] | Nah, Eduardo, | 不 埃德瓦多 |
[15:03] | she’ll just suspend your ass for being ugly. | 她停学你也是因为你长得丑 |
[15:06] | Fucking ugly ass. | 丑八怪 |
[15:08] | Well, she can’t suspend all of you. | 她不能把你们都停学了 |
[15:11] | What are you saying? | 你什么意思 |
[15:13] | I’m just saying… | 我的意思是 |
[15:16] | collectively… | 团结起来 |
[15:19] | you’re not as powerless as you think you are. | 你们比你们想象的要强大 |
[15:34] | Yo, Anton. | 安东 |
[15:36] | Where you going? | 你上哪儿去 |
[15:38] | It’s a walkout, y’all. | 罢课啊 |
[15:40] | Come on. | 来啊 |
[16:03] | Hey, we got rights, too, man! | 我们也有权利 |
[16:05] | Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[16:07] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[16:14] | Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[16:16] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[16:18] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[16:21] | Hold it! | 停下 |
[16:22] | Everyone get back to their classrooms right now! | 所有人立刻回教室 |
[16:26] | Anyone who does not go back | 不回教室的 |
[16:28] | to their classrooms risks suspension! | 都会被停学 |
[16:31] | I knew it. I knew this would happen. | 我就知道 我就知道这会发生 |
[16:33] | This is bad. | 情况真糟 |
[16:34] | This is really fucking bad. | 真是糟透了 |
[16:36] | They’re heading into the street. | 他们上街了 |
[16:37] | Get back to your rooms! | 回教室 |
[16:40] | Get back to your room! | 快回教室 |
[16:43] | Can we lock these doors somehow? | 能锁上这些门吗 |
[16:45] | No, no, we’re not locking anything. | 不 我们什么都不能锁 |
[16:47] | This behavior is unacceptable! | 学校不能容忍这种行为 |
[16:49] | Get back to your classrooms! | 快回教室 |
[16:51] | Janelle, we can’t just let them all leave. | 贾内尔 我们不能让他们全都离开 |
[16:55] | Fuck. Okay, lock it down. | 该死的 好吧 锁上门 |
[16:57] | – Lockdown! – Okay, it’s locked. | -封锁 -锁好了 |
[16:57] | All teachers, please begin lockdown procedures. | 全体教师 开始封锁程序 |
[16:59] | You can’t get out. You can’t get out. | 你们不能出去 不能出去 |
[17:01] | Lock it down! | 锁上 |
[17:03] | Lock it down! | 快锁上 |
[17:05] | Get those doors! | 快关门 |
[17:10] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[17:14] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[17:16] | Okay, okay, come on. | 好了 够了 |
[17:17] | Come on, you made your point. It’s time to get back. | 你们也发声了 该回教室了 |
[17:20] | Get back inside, everyone. | 快回去 |
[17:23] | You made your point. | 你们表过态了 |
[17:24] | Everyone needs to get back inside, okay? | 大伙儿都得进去 |
[17:26] | The cops are here. | 警察来了 |
[17:28] | You made your point. | 你们都表过态了 |
[17:29] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[17:32] | Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! Walkout! | 罢课 罢课 |
[17:44] | Stay back. | 后退 |
[17:46] | You’re hurting him. Let the kid up! | 你伤着他了 让孩子起来 |
[17:47] | Back inside. Get back. | 回学校 回去 |
[17:49] | No, get back! | 不 回去 |
[17:51] | Anton! | 安东 |
[17:52] | You stay back. You stay back! | 你给我退后 退后 |
[17:53] | – Stay there! – These are children, Officer! | -不准动 -这都是些孩子 警官 |
[17:55] | – A misunderstanding. – Ma’am… | -是场误会 -女士 |
[17:56] | you need to step back. | 你得退后 |
[17:57] | Please! He is a child! | 求求你 他只是个孩子 |
[17:59] | Ma’am, I said step back. | 女士 我说了 退后 |
[18:00] | Come on. These are children, man. | 他们都是孩子 |
[18:01] | This is just a misunderstanding. | 这只是一场误会 |
[18:03] | What are we doing here? | 我们这是在干什么 |
[18:05] | Come on, look. What are we doing here? | 看看 我们这是在干什么 |
[18:08] | – Get your hands off him! – Get back. | -快放开他 -后退 |
[18:09] | Come on, how could this possibly end well for any of us? | 想想这对我们任何人都没有好处 |
[18:12] | Look. They got cameras. | 快看 他们都有相机 |
[18:16] | Fuck the police! | 滚蛋警察 |
[18:20] | Fuck the police! Fuck the police! | 滚蛋警察 滚蛋警察 |
[18:22] | Let him up. | 让他起来 |
[18:23] | Fuck the police! Fuck the police! | 滚蛋警察 滚蛋警察 |
[18:25] | – Get up. – Quiet! | -起来 -安静 |
[18:28] | Fuck the police! Fuck the police! | 滚蛋警察 滚蛋警察 |
[18:31] | Angel. Get over here. Get over here. | 安吉尔 过来 过来 |
[18:34] | Get back there. | 回来 |
[18:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:41] | But your students are clearly angry. | 但很明显你们的学生很愤怒 |
[18:43] | – They’re protesting. – Come on. Let’s go. | -他们在抗议 -行了 我们走 |
[18:45] | Look, of course we’ll have conversations | 我们肯定得谈谈 |
[18:47] | about what led to today’s events, | 今天是什么事导致了这样的局面 |
[18:49] | but these are teenagers. | 但他们都是青少年 |
[18:50] | They’re acting out. | 他们在宣泄 |
[18:52] | You’re a new principal, right? | 你是这里的新校长 对吗 |
[18:53] | Is this protest a referendum on how you’re running things? | 这个抗议是对你的行事作风的一次公决吗 |
[18:57] | We spoke to another teacher | 我们和其他老师谈过 |
[18:58] | who said there’s been some conflict | 他们说学生们对你的 |
[18:59] | over your disciplinary practices. | 惩戒措施颇有微词 |
[19:02] | As I said, we… | 我说过了 我们… |
[19:04] | are just grateful that things were handled quickly. | 非常感谢场面很快得到了控制 |
[19:08] | No one was hurt. Um… | 没有人受伤 |
[19:09] | You’re grateful for the police. | 你是在感谢警察 |
[19:10] | Is that what you’re saying? | 是这个意思吗 |
[19:11] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[19:12] | Sorry, yeah, I’m a teacher here, | 抱歉 我是这里的老师 |
[19:14] | and, uh, things have gotten out of control here today, | 今天事情有点失控 |
[19:17] | but we’re really proud of our students. | 但我们真的很为我们的学生骄傲 |
[19:19] | They staged a walkout to express their opinions | 他们发起了罢课行动以表达自己 |
[19:23] | about the content of the curriculum. Now, come on. | 对课程内容的个人意见 得了吧 |
[19:25] | How-how often do you hear high school students | 你们有多经常能听到高中学生 |
[19:27] | caring that much about what they’re reading in class | 在意自己在课堂上读什么书 |
[19:30] | that they stage a protest? | 而发起抗议 |
[19:32] | So, this was school-sanctioned, Mister…? | 这件事是学校许可的吗 老师 贵姓 |
[19:36] | Uh, Solloway. | 索洛维 |
[19:39] | Yeah. Yeah, that’s what Compton Academy’s all about. | 是的 是的 这就是康普顿学院的理念 |
[19:42] | You know, we try to raise… | 我们想培养… |
[19:43] | and create engaged students and-and-and responsible citizens | 打造积极参与的学生和有责任心的公民 |
[19:48] | to lead the next generation. | 给下一代做榜样 |
[19:50] | So, Mr. Solloway, what can you tell us | 索洛维老师 你能和我们 |
[19:52] | about the specifics of the students’ demands? | 具体聊一下学生们的要求 |
[19:55] | Well, they, uh… they weren’t too specific, | 他们也没有什么具体的要求 |
[19:58] | but essentially, they want a-a… | 但本质上来说 他们想要一个 |
[20:00] | a more inclusive curriculum. | 更具包容性的课程 |
[20:02] | There was fucking riot police, Helen. | 他们可是防暴警察 海伦 |
[20:03] | What was I supposed to do? | 我能怎么办 |
[20:05] | Yes, I’m still coming over. | 是的 我还是会来 |
[20:08] | It’s saying an hour 20. | 上面说要一小时二十分 |
[20:11] | Fine, they just eat late. Who cares? | 行 那他们就晚点吃 谁会在意 |
[20:16] | Okay, fine. | 好吧 好 |
[20:17] | I don’t teach till ten tomorrow. | 我明天十点前都没课 |
[20:18] | I’ll come over, and I’ll take them to school. | 我过来 我带他们上学 |
[20:22] | Well, if that’s the only fucking way | 这是唯一我能 |
[20:23] | I’m gonna see my own kids, Helen, | 见到自己孩子的时候 海伦 |
[20:24] | then I don’t mind driving. | 我不介意开车去 |
[20:27] | Thanks. Yeah, thanks a lot. | 谢谢 非常感谢 |
[20:28] | That’s really generous. | 你真是太慷慨了 |
[20:30] | Bunch of us are heading to this bar over in Inglewood– | 我们要去英格尔伍德的一个酒吧 |
[20:32] | Yes. | 我去 |
[20:33] | Awesome, dude. | 太好了 伙计 |
[20:35] | It’s kind of a divey place. | 那里挺私密的 |
[20:36] | Hey, when you say “us,” do you mean just the teachers | 你说”我们”的时候 你是指只有老师 |
[20:38] | – or the administrators, too? – Not to worry. | -还是说还有管理者 -别担心 |
[20:40] | She never comes slumming with us plebes. | 她从不和我们这些平民去那种破烂地方 |
[20:46] | With something like this, | 出了这些事 |
[20:47] | the police presence and everything, | 还有警察出动什么的 |
[20:49] | there is zero chance she doesn’t get fired. | 她没有可能不被解雇 |
[20:51] | We’ll see. There’s still a lot of people on that board | 再看吧 校董会还是有很多人 |
[20:53] | – who really love her. – Oh, not after today. | -很喜欢她的 -今天之后就不会了 |
[20:56] | They’re finally gonna realize | 他们终于要明白 |
[20:57] | they should have promoted you in the first place. | 他们本应该先提拔你了 |
[21:01] | I thought she did pretty fucking well. | 我认为她今天干得挺漂亮的 |
[21:03] | Hey, look, it’s on TV. | 看 上电视了 |
[21:06] | 今天早些时候 康普顿学院 学生罢课抗议 | |
[21:10] | The variety that we see in the student body being reflected | 我们看到的在学生群体 |
[21:13] | in the curriculum, that’s what they really– | 都在课程上有所反应 那是他们真正… |
[21:15] | Well done, dude. | 干得漂亮 伙计 |
[21:16] | Did I say I was principal? | 我有说自己是校长吗 |
[21:18] | Congratulations on your promotion. | 祝贺你升职了 |
[21:22] | Janelle. | 贾内尔 |
[21:23] | What’s everybody drinking? | 大家都在喝什么 |
[21:25] | Y’all were great today. | 你们今天都很棒 |
[21:27] | Let me buy the next round. | 我请大家再喝一轮 |
[21:31] | Uh, you know, Janelle, I think we’re okay. | 贾内尔 我想我们都不用了 |
[21:33] | Joel just got us another round, | 乔尔刚请我们喝了一轮 |
[21:34] | and tomorrow’s a school day, so… | 再说明天是教学日 所以… |
[21:36] | Very responsible. | 很有责任心 |
[21:39] | Okay, well, if you change your minds… | 好吧 如果你们改变心意了 |
[21:43] | let me know. | 告诉我 |
[21:49] | I thought you said she never came. | 你不是说过她绝不会来吗 |
[21:51] | I guess she needed a drink. | 我猜她需要喝一杯 |
[22:02] | Excuse me. | 失陪一下 |
[22:07] | Is anybody buying you a drink? | 有人请你喝一杯吗 |
[22:10] | I took care of myself. Thank you. | 我自己来 谢了 |
[22:17] | I wanted to apologize again. | 我想再次向你道歉 |
[22:21] | For what? | 为什么 |
[22:23] | Usurping my title? | 篡用我的头衔 |
[22:26] | What can I get you? | 需要喝什么 |
[22:27] | Whatever she’s having. | 跟她一样 |
[22:29] | Whiskey, Jameson. Two? | 詹姆森威士忌 两杯吗 |
[22:31] | No, just, uh… another one for her | 不 只用给她再来一杯 |
[22:32] | and a seltzer. | 再要一杯苏打水 |
[22:34] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[22:37] | I was just trying to help. | 我是想帮你 |
[22:40] | I wasn’t asking for your help. | 我没有要你来帮我 |
[22:42] | I had it under control. | 一切都在我控制之下 |
[22:44] | You did? | 是吗 |
[22:48] | Same card you’ve been using? | 还是刷你的那张卡吗 |
[22:50] | No, baby. | 不 亲爱的 |
[22:52] | Uh, this next round’s on my friend. | 这一轮我朋友请 |
[22:56] | And pour yourself something nice. | 请你喝一杯好的 |
[22:57] | On him, too. | 也是他请 |
[22:59] | Keep the change. | 不用找了 |
[23:02] | You know, you don’t have to sit here and babysit me. | 你不必坐在这照顾我 |
[23:05] | You can go back to your friends. | 你可以回你朋友身边去 |
[23:10] | I’m not sure I can, actually. | 其实我不确定我可以回去 |
[23:12] | Maybe not. | 或许不能 |
[23:15] | And they’re not my friends. | 他们也不是我的朋友 |
[23:17] | Mine, either. | 也不是我的 |
[23:20] | This is all gonna blow over, you know that? | 这些事都会烟消云散的 知道吗 |
[23:22] | You think? | 你这么想吗 |
[23:24] | I was on the phone all afternoon with the board, | 下午我一直在跟校董会通话 |
[23:26] | fighting to keep my job. | 争取保住我的工作 |
[23:28] | Then I come here to mend fences, | 然后我来到这里想改善下同事间的关系 |
[23:30] | and most of my staff | 而大多数员工 |
[23:33] | won’t even let me buy them a drink. | 甚至都不让我请他们喝酒 |
[23:38] | And then I… when I think about what could have happened today, | 然后我 我一想到今天可能会发生什么 |
[23:42] | how badly it could have gone… | 事情结果会有多糟… |
[23:49] | So, tell me, how is this all gonna blow over? | 告诉我 这一切怎么烟消云散 |
[23:54] | Here’s the thing with your staff. | 你和员工是这么回事 |
[23:56] | They’re young. | 他们还小 |
[23:58] | They’re children. | 他们是孩子 |
[23:59] | Right. | 是 |
[24:01] | And like children, they want to be listened to. | 像孩子一样 他们想他们的想法被听到 |
[24:03] | They want to feel heard. | 他们想让别人听到自己的想法 |
[24:06] | And sometimes, in your… | 有时候 在你的… |
[24:10] | staff meetings, you seem like | 员工会议上 你似乎 |
[24:13] | you don’t really value their opinions. | 不是很重视他们的意见 |
[24:15] | I don’t. | 我的确不重视 |
[24:16] | Well, they know that. | 他们知道 |
[24:18] | That’s why they hate you. | 所以他们恨你 |
[24:21] | You really don’t need this job, do you? | 你真的不需要这份工作 是吗 |
[24:29] | You know, at my old school, Marshall, | 在我以前的学校 马歇尔学校 |
[24:31] | I was beloved. | 我很受喜爱 |
[24:34] | Like, seriously. | 真的 |
[24:37] | Students fighting to have lunch in my office, | 学生们为了能在我办公室吃午饭打架 |
[24:41] | girls coming in to cry over | 女孩们来和我哭诉 |
[24:43] | whatever fool was breaking their hearts. | 是哪个傻瓜伤了她们的心 |
[24:47] | I’d do this Beyoncé thing | 我会在每年的返校活动上 |
[24:48] | every year at homecoming that slayed. | 做碧昂丝表演 轰动全场 |
[24:51] | I’m sure. | 我相信 |
[24:55] | But when this job opened up, I fought my ass off for it. | 但当这里招人时 我为这个职位挤得头破血流 |
[25:01] | At a public school like Marshall, | 在像马歇尔这样的公立学校 |
[25:03] | real progress is impossible. | 是不可能有真正的进展的 |
[25:05] | But at a charter, you have autonomy. | 但根据章程 你有特许学校 |
[25:07] | You set the agenda. | 你制定议程 |
[25:09] | I thought to myself, here’s my chance | 我想 这就是我的机会 |
[25:11] | to actually make a difference | 能真正与那些没人要的孩子们 |
[25:12] | with the kids nobody else wanted. | 做出点什么 |
[25:14] | You know what happens at a school like Marshall? | 你知道在马歇尔这样的学校会发生什么吗 |
[25:17] | They take in these kids, | 他们接收这些孩子 |
[25:19] | they keep them till the fall census, | 他们一直留着他们直到调查人数的时候 |
[25:21] | they collect money from the state, | 他们靠这个从国家拿钱 |
[25:23] | and then they dump their sorry asses. | 然后把他们抛下 |
[25:26] | They don’t suspend. They expel. | 不是停学 是开除 |
[25:29] | Those are the kids we picked up at Compton Academy this year. | 那些是我们今年从康普顿学院接收的孩子 |
[25:35] | And you know what? | 你知道吗 |
[25:36] | They need some fucking discipline. | 他们需要管教 |
[25:41] | And you know what else? | 你还知道吗 |
[25:42] | If I were a white guy… | 如果我是个白人… |
[25:44] | if I were you, Noah Solloway, | 如果我是你 诺亚·索洛维 |
[25:45] | with your… with your looks and your credentials, | 有你的… 有你的外表和资历 |
[25:49] | nobody would give a shit | 没人会在乎 |
[25:50] | about my disciplinary practices. | 我的惩戒措施 |
[25:53] | They would congratulate me for having balls. | 他们会祝贺我有勇气 |
[25:56] | But because I’m me, | 但是因为我是我 |
[25:58] | I’m expected to be collaborative. | 我被期望是合作的 |
[26:03] | And if I’m not… | 如果我不… |
[26:04] | if I dare to say | 如果我敢说 |
[26:08] | I have 20 fucking years | 我有20年 |
[26:10] | of experience in this business… | 干这行的经验 |
[26:13] | I was teaching when most of you | 我在你们大多数人学驾照的时候 |
[26:15] | were in driver’s ed, | 就已经在教书了 |
[26:17] | so maybe… just maybe I actually know | 所以也许… 也许我真的知道 |
[26:19] | what the fuck I’m doing. | 我他妈在干什么 |
[26:26] | How’s Anton? | 安东怎么样 |
[26:28] | Is he okay after today? | 今天后他还好吗 |
[26:31] | I hope so. | 希望如此 |
[26:32] | He’s with his dad. | 他和他爸在一起 |
[26:36] | Yeah, mine are with their mom. | 我的孩子们和他们妈在一起 |
[26:38] | You have kids? | 你有孩子 |
[26:41] | Two boys, two girls. | 两个儿子 两个女儿 |
[26:42] | Damn, you’re busy. | 你可真忙 |
[26:45] | Well, the older ones are away at school now, | 大的现在已经离家上学了 |
[26:47] | and the… the younger two, they live with my ex. | 小的两个和我前妻在一起 |
[26:50] | That’s why I’m in L.A. | 所以我才在洛杉矶 |
[26:51] | She came out with her boyfriend. | 她和她男朋友过来的 |
[26:53] | I followed. | 我跟了过来 |
[26:55] | I don’t have much of a relationship | 我现在和他们 |
[26:56] | with them right now, but I’m trying. | 没什么联系了 但我在努力 |
[27:00] | Divorce is tough. | 离婚是件难事 |
[27:04] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[27:10] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你个问题吗 |
[27:12] | Is it true you failed your own kid? | 你真的挂了你自己的孩子吗 |
[27:16] | No. | 不是 |
[27:17] | He plagiarized. He failed himself. | 他抄袭了 是他自己造成的 |
[27:20] | What was I supposed to do? | 我还能怎么办 |
[27:23] | Let it go? | 放过他 |
[27:26] | It killed me to do it. | 我这么做的时候难过极了 |
[27:27] | I bet it did. | 肯定 |
[27:32] | The walkout today, did it start in your classroom? | 今天的罢课 是从你的教室开始的吗 |
[27:37] | – How’d you– – ‘Cause it’s my school, Noah, | -你怎么… -因为是我的学校 诺亚 |
[27:38] | and I’m good at my job. | 我对我的工作很在行 |
[27:42] | But tell me, was it Anton? | 但是告诉我 是安东吗 |
[27:45] | Did he instigate it? | 是他鼓动的吗 |
[27:49] | Why would you think that? | 你为什么会这么想 |
[27:52] | That boy is turning into his father, | 这孩子越来越像他爸了 |
[27:54] | and there’s not a damn thing I can do about it. | 我一点办法都没有 |
[27:59] | His dad used to be an activist. | 他爸以前是个活动家 |
[28:02] | But nowadays he uses his extensive knowledge | 但现在他用他马克思和马尔科姆·艾克斯 |
[28:05] | of Marx and Malcolm X as foreplay | 广博的知识作为前戏 |
[28:08] | to get much younger white women into bed. | 把更年轻的白人女性拐上床 |
[28:13] | – Cheers. – Cheers. | -干杯 -干杯 |
[28:37] | What? | 什么 |
[28:51] | No, no. | 不 不 |
[28:53] | No, no, no, no, no. | 不 不 不 不 不 |
[28:55] | I’m… I’m your boss. | 我… 我是你上司 |
[28:57] | I’m your boss. I’m your boss. | 我是你上司 我是你上司 |
[29:03] | Okay. | 好 |
[29:09] | 第二话 海伦 | |
[29:38] | Okay, so it’s not gallstones. | 好 所以不是胆结石 |
[29:52] | So now we know. | 现在我们知道了 |
[30:02] | I think we should go back to New York. | 我觉得我们应该回纽约 |
[30:04] | And you must know somebody at Sloan Kettering. | 你一定认识纪念斯隆-凯特琳癌症中心的人 |
[30:07] | And we can get an appointment right away. | 我们可以立刻预约 |
[30:08] | I-I-I think we should still get a second opinion. | 我我我觉得我们还是应该听听不同的意见 |
[30:15] | How are you feeling? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[30:29] | I don’t know how to do this, man. | 我不知道怎么办 |
[30:31] | I don’t have a fucking clue. | 我不知道 |
[30:40] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[30:44] | I will get my shit together. | 我会振作起来的 |
[30:55] | You… | 你… |
[30:56] | I’m here, Vik. | 我在 维克 |
[30:57] | Okay, and we can fight this thing. | 好 我们能战胜的 |
[31:01] | You and me. | 你和我 |
[31:03] | Together. | 一起 |
[31:07] | Helen… | 海伦… |
[31:14] | Can you just drive? | 你能开车吗 |
[31:32] | Mom. | 妈 |
[31:35] | What’s up, hon | 怎么了 宝贝 |
[31:36] | Where were you guys? | 你们去哪了 |
[31:41] | We were at an early-morning yoga class. | 我们去上清晨瑜伽课了 |
[31:44] | What happened? | 怎么了 |
[31:46] | I just… | 我只是… |
[31:48] | Mom, did you ever read Anne Frank before? | 妈 你以前读过《安妮·弗兰克》吗 |
[31:52] | Yeah, I-I think I read it in junior high. | 我在初中读过 |
[31:55] | We’re reading it in English, and I-I just can’t… | 我们在语文课上读了 我一直… |
[31:58] | I can’t stop thinking about it. I mean, six million Jews. | 我一直在想 六百万犹太人 |
[32:01] | – Oh, Stacey. – And they didn’t just kill the Jews. | -史黛丝 -他们不仅仅杀犹太人 |
[32:03] | They killed the gay people, | 还杀同性恋 |
[32:04] | disabled people, Russian people. | 残疾人 俄罗斯人 |
[32:06] | They killed them all. | 他们把这些人都杀了 |
[32:07] | – Stace. – And then they had these ovens | -史黛丝 -然后他们还把人 |
[32:09] | where they put them– even kids. | 放进烤炉里 小孩都不放过 |
[32:10] | Stacey! | 史黛丝 |
[32:12] | What, Mom? This is important. | 怎么了 妈妈 这很重要 |
[32:13] | So is school. Five minutes. Go get your stuff. | 上课也很重要 5分钟 去拿你的东西 |
[32:20] | Trevor, you too. You heard me. | 还有你 特雷弗 你听到我了 |
[32:23] | – Trev. – One sec. I’m just finishing human bio. | -特雷弗 -马上 我要做完人类生物学作业了 |
[32:27] | And I’m done. | 做完了 |
[32:30] | I think I must have gotten the science gene from Vik. | 我一定是从维克那里遗传了科学基因 |
[32:34] | Well, I’m not sure you did, | 我不这么认为 |
[32:37] | if you think that’s how genetics works. | 如果你觉得遗传学是这样运作的话 |
[32:39] | Nature versus nurture, Mom. | 先天与后天 妈 |
[32:41] | Hey, Vik, do you want some eggs or something? | 维克 你想吃点鸡蛋什么的吗 |
[32:45] | No. I’m gonna be late for work. | 不 我上班要迟到了 |
[33:02] | Have a good day, you guys. | 今天开心哦 |
[33:23] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[33:24] | What? | 什么 |
[33:26] | You have that look. | 你又是那个表情 |
[33:28] | What are you doing here? | 你来干什么 |
[33:30] | I said I’d come to get the kids | 我说我会来接孩子们 |
[33:32] | ’cause I missed dinner with them last night | 因为昨天晚餐我失约了 |
[33:34] | and I have two free periods this morning. | 今早我有两节课的空闲时间 |
[33:35] | Remember? | 记得吗 |
[33:37] | We talked about this 12 hours ago. | 我们12小时前才说过 |
[33:38] | Right. Yeah. | 对 |
[33:40] | I’m sorry. I guess, uh… | 抱歉 我 |
[33:41] | Hey, kids, your dad’s here. | 孩子们 爸爸来了 |
[33:43] | Be right there. | 马上来 |
[33:59] | – They gone? – Yeah. | -他们走了吗 -嗯 |
[34:01] | So maybe we can talk for a few minutes? | 我们可以简单谈谈 |
[34:04] | Vik. | 维克 |
[34:10] | Don’t you want to? | 你不想吗 |
[34:24] | Wait. | 等等 |
[34:25] | Okay. | 好了 |
[35:02] | Wait. Don’t go. | 等等 别走 |
[35:22] | Do you think it’s such a great idea | 你觉得今早去上班 |
[35:23] | to go into work this morning? | 是个好主意吗 |
[35:24] | I have surgery at noon. | 我中午有手术 |
[35:28] | I probably won’t finish everything until about seven- ish, so… | 我估计要7点左右才能忙完 |
[35:32] | you should just take an Uber and meet me at the hotel. | 你可以叫个优步 直接到酒店来见我 |
[35:35] | What? | 什么 |
[35:37] | The gala. | 晚宴 |
[35:40] | Do you think that maybe we could skip that? | 我们可以不去吗 |
[35:42] | Do you really want to sit through something like that tonight? | 你真想参加这样的活动吗 |
[35:44] | I can’t skip it, Helen. I’m being honored. | 我必须去 海伦 我要接受表彰 |
[35:49] | Oh, can you call my parents, | 你能联系我父母吗 |
[35:51] | make sure they know where to go? | 确保他们知道该去哪 |
[35:52] | They always get lost downtown. | 他们在市中心老是迷路 |
[35:54] | Tell them to valet, not to be stubborn. | 让他们找代客泊车服务 别顽固不化 |
[35:56] | They’ll never find a spot. | 他们肯定找不到车位的 |
[36:03] | Don’t tell them anything about this morning. | 别跟他们说今早的事 |
[36:07] | This event means a lot to them. | 这个活动对他们很重要 |
[36:09] | You have to promise me. | 你得答应我 |
[36:11] | I… uh, I, uh… I don’t know. | 我 我 我不知道 |
[36:15] | If you’re not gonna keep your mouth shut, | 如果你控制不住你的嘴 |
[36:16] | then please don’t come. | 那就不要来 |
[36:29] | Vik, wait. | 维克 等等 |
[36:31] | Vik. | 维克 |
[36:32] | Oh, come on. | 拜托 |
[36:35] | Come on! | 别这样 |
[36:37] | Vik, this is ridiculous. | 维克 这太可笑了 |
[36:39] | Vik, you have to talk to me. | 维克 你得和我说话 |
[36:41] | – Motherfucker. – Helen, you ok? | -妈的 -海伦 你没事吧 |
[36:45] | Oh, my God, Helen. | 天啊 海伦 |
[36:46] | – Are you okay? – Yeah, I’m fine. | -你还好吗 -嗯 我没事 |
[36:48] | I am… I am so, so sorry. | 真是太抱歉了 |
[36:51] | It’s just, this garbage truck schedule | 只是垃圾车的时间表 |
[36:53] | is literally impossible to keep straight. | 随时都在变 |
[36:54] | But that is no excuse for almost maiming you. | 但这不是差点致残你的借口 |
[36:57] | Are you sure you’re okay? | 你确定你没事吗 |
[36:59] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[37:00] | She’s fine. | 她没事 |
[37:01] | Right, Helen? | 对吗 海伦 |
[37:02] | Okay, well, then maybe this is actually kismet, | 那或许这就是天意 |
[37:05] | because I was gonna come by anyway | 因为我正准备来找你 |
[37:06] | and invite you to something really special. | 邀请你来参加一个很特别的活动 |
[37:09] | Uh, next month, I am going to Joshua Tree | 下个月 我要和我朋友 |
[37:12] | with some friends, and we go out there | 去约书亚树国家公园 我们每年 |
[37:14] | a couple times a year to do a moon circle. | 都会去那几次 做月下疗伤 |
[37:16] | Because, you know, the-the autumn harvest moon | 因为 你知道 秋收月 |
[37:19] | is a time to really open yourself up | 是敞开心扉 |
[37:22] | to integrative healing. | 做整体治疗的时候 |
[37:24] | And everyone is invited to bring her own crystal to cleanse | 每个人都要带上自己的水晶去净化 |
[37:27] | because, you guys, the best way to cleanse a crystal | 因为 净化水晶最好的方式 |
[37:30] | is to leave it out under a full moon. | 就是把它放在满月之下 |
[37:34] | So… it’s BYOC. | 就是带上自己的水晶 |
[37:39] | Yes. Yes, totally. | 对 对 没错 |
[37:41] | It’s totally BYOC. | 带上自己的水晶 |
[37:43] | So, do you want to come? | 你想来吗 |
[37:44] | I totally, totally don’t. | 完全不想 |
[37:47] | – Oh, okay. – Okay? | -好吧 -行吗 |
[37:48] | Cool. Cool. | 好的 好的 |
[37:50] | Well, it’s not for a few weeks, | 还有几周的时间 |
[37:52] | so maybe you can just think about it. | 或许你可以再考虑考虑 |
[38:13] | That was bitchy. | 你太刻薄了 |
[38:14] | Well, it needed to be done. | 必须那么做 |
[38:16] | Clearly, I am having a hard time | 显然我现在很难 |
[38:17] | finding the right way to talk to you | 找到合适的途径 |
[38:19] | about this right now, but can we please just | 和你谈这个 但我们能 |
[38:20] | – go sit down and talk? – I’m going to work. | -找个地坐下谈谈吗 -我要去上班 |
[38:22] | We need to make a treatment plan. | 我们需要制定治疗计划 |
[38:23] | Look, I know this is hard, but come on. | 我知道这很难 可是拜托 |
[38:29] | I’m not getting treatment. | 我不会接受治疗 |
[38:33] | That’s absurd. | 这太荒谬了 |
[38:36] | You can’t not get treatment. | 你必须接受治疗 |
[38:38] | Yes, I can… not. | 我可以不接受 |
[38:40] | No, you can’t. That just doesn’t make any sense. | 不 你必须接受 这根本没任何道理 |
[38:42] | I’m not gonna sit around and watch you die. | 我不要眼睁睁看你死 |
[38:46] | Believe it or not, Helen, | 不管你相不相信 海伦 |
[38:48] | you don’t get to make that choice. | 这事由不得你来做主 |
[38:53] | Look… maybe you’re in | 听着 或许 |
[38:55] | some kind of state of shock or something, but I just… | 你现在还处于震惊之中 但我 |
[38:58] | please, can we please make a plan? | 我们能制定一个计划吗 |
[39:00] | Okay. | 好的 |
[39:01] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:06] | Let’s have a baby. | 我们要个小孩吧 |
[39:10] | How’s that for a plan? | 这个计划怎么样 |
[39:33] | Is he lashing out? | 他是在发脾气 |
[39:36] | Do you think he’s trying to punish me? | 你觉得他是想惩罚我吗 |
[39:39] | Do you? | 你觉得呢 |
[39:43] | Maybe he’s asking me to do this | 或许他让我做这事 |
[39:44] | because he wants me to disappoint him. | 是因为他想让我让他失望 |
[39:46] | Why would Vik want you to disappoint him? | 为什么维克会希望你让他失望 |
[39:48] | Because it’s easier to be mad at me | 因为比起他的预断病情 |
[39:50] | than at his prognosis. | 他对我生气更容易 |
[39:53] | That makes sense. | 有道理 |
[39:55] | Well, the prognosis is pretty fucking shitty, | 预断病情很糟糕 |
[39:58] | so, uh… | 所以… |
[40:02] | Actually, he needs to get angry in order to fight this, | 实际上他需要愤怒来反抗 |
[40:06] | so how do I do that? | 所以我要怎么做 |
[40:07] | How do I shake him out of this? | 我要如何帮他摆脱这种想法 |
[40:09] | Out of what, exactly? | 摆脱什么 说具体点 |
[40:11] | This Denial. | 他拒绝治疗 |
[40:13] | Seriously. | 说真的 |
[40:14] | I mean, it’s, like… | 这就像… |
[40:16] | pathological. | 像是因病引发的 |
[40:18] | Don’t you think? I mean, I’ve always thought maybe | 你不觉得吗 我总以为也许… |
[40:20] | he’s on the spectrum, so maybe that has something– | 他有点自闭 所以或许这… |
[40:22] | I’m not here to diagnose Vik. | 我不是来替维克诊断的 |
[40:26] | I’d like to redirect us to talking about you, Helen. | 我想谈谈你 海伦 |
[40:28] | You and Vik both received scary news this morning. | 今天早上你和维克都收到了了令人不安的消息 |
[40:32] | I’d like to talk about what you’re feeling | 我想知道此时此刻 |
[40:34] | right now in this moment. | 你有什么感觉 |
[40:36] | I’m feeling like Vik isn’t listening to me. | 我感觉维克不听我劝 |
[40:38] | I’m feeling like I want him to get treatment. | 我感觉我想要他接受治疗 |
[40:42] | Okay. | 好的 |
[40:45] | Let’s try focusing inward. | 我们再深入想想 |
[40:46] | Can you close your eyes? | 你能闭上眼睛吗 |
[40:56] | Let’s take a deep breath, establish a baseline. | 深呼吸 建立一条基线 |
[41:01] | -Helen. -I really don’t want to close my eyes right now. | -海伦 -我现在真不想闭上眼睛 |
[41:05] | – Okay. – Okay. | -好吧 -好的 |
[41:07] | But I want us to try to continue. | 但我希望我们能尝试下继续谈话 |
[41:09] | Can you find something in the room to focus on instead? | 你能把注意力集中到别的东西上面吗 |
[41:16] | You went to Stanford? | 你在斯坦福念过书吗 |
[41:19] | I did. | 没错 |
[41:20] | And now can we focus on your breath? | 现在可以集中注意在呼吸上吗 |
[41:22] | Do you know anyone there in oncology? | 你认识肿瘤学的专家吗 |
[41:24] | Helen. | 海伦 |
[41:25] | I mean, maybe you could make a call | 也许你可以帮我问问 |
[41:26] | and just find out if anything’s happening there | 那里有没有人 |
[41:28] | that might help Vik. | 可以帮帮维克 |
[41:29] | Maybe you could get him into a trial or– | 也许你能让他参加个诊治试验或者… |
[41:31] | Helen, I’m delighted to help in whatever way I can. | 海伦 如果我能帮上忙 我会很高兴 |
[41:34] | I will make a call if that’s | 我会去帮你问问 |
[41:35] | the decision you and Vik come to, | 如果你和维克都如此决定 |
[41:37] | but right now in this moment, | 但此时此刻 |
[41:39] | can we return to our work? | 能回到我们的谈话中来吗 |
[41:40] | Can we focus on your breath? | 你能集中注意在呼吸上吗 |
[41:41] | No, I can’t do that. | 不 我做不到 |
[41:46] | Right now. | 我现在做不到 |
[41:49] | Okay. Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:53] | You want to talk about Vik. | 你想谈谈维克 |
[41:54] | Let’s do that. | 那我们就谈 |
[41:55] | So I have a question for you. | 我有一个问题 |
[41:57] | You’re very concerned for him. | 你很关心他 |
[41:59] | Of course. | 当然 |
[42:00] | Given that, | 鉴于如此 |
[42:03] | why do you think it feels so hard | 为什么你会觉得 |
[42:04] | to give him what he’s asking for? | 去满足他的要求会很难 |
[42:05] | Because I don’t want to have another fucking baby. | 因为我他妈不想再要一个孩子了 |
[42:09] | I’m talking about | 我说的是 |
[42:13] | giving him the space | 给他一些空间 |
[42:16] | to make his own choices about his care. | 让他对自己的身体做出选择 |
[42:21] | If he wants advice, guidance, he has doctors for that. | 如果他需要建议和指导 他的医生会给他 |
[42:25] | What he needs you for, the one thing | 他需要你做的 有一件东西 |
[42:27] | you can give him that no one else in the world can, | 这世间只有你一个人能给他 |
[42:29] | is your love. | 那就是你的爱 |
[42:30] | You love him. | 你爱他 |
[42:36] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[42:38] | How do I know what? | 我怎么知道什么 |
[42:43] | That I love him. | 你怎么知道我爱他 |
[42:51] | Say more about that question. | 多说些这个问题相关的事 |
[42:53] | Never mind. I don’t know why I said that. | 别在意 我也不知道我为什么那么说 |
[42:55] | Of course I love him. | 我当然爱他 |
[42:57] | I’m just wondering if perhaps | 我只是在想或许 |
[42:59] | loving Vik feels frightening to you right now. | 爱着维克现在会让你感觉到恐惧 |
[43:02] | Why? | 为什么 |
[43:03] | Is it possible that all this– | 因为很可能这一切… |
[43:07] | the obsession with Vik’s treatment, | 你坚持让维克接受治疗 |
[43:09] | what you see as his denial– | 你所认为的他的拒绝 |
[43:11] | is actually a projection of your own terror? | 其实是你内心恐惧的投射 |
[43:15] | The prospect of losing this man with whom you’ve built a life? | 你害怕失去这个与你共建生活的男人 |
[43:25] | Who couldn’t you live without, Ezra? | 你少了谁会活不下去 埃泽拉 |
[43:33] | My sons. | 我的儿子们 |
[43:34] | Children don’t count. | 孩子不算 |
[43:37] | Hmm. Okay, then. | 那好吧 |
[43:40] | My wife. | 我妻子 |
[43:41] | My brother. | 我兄弟 |
[43:43] | What about you? | 你呢 |
[43:49] | My children, of course. | 我的孩子 |
[43:53] | Anyone else? | 还有吗 |
[44:02] | You know what, I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[44:05] | I have to get Vik into treatment, | 我得说服维克接受治疗 |
[44:06] | and we are going back to New York, | 我们要回纽约去 |
[44:08] | and I am gonna get him there. | 我会把他弄回去的 |
[44:08] | I don’t know how, but I will, | 我不知道怎么弄 但我会的 |
[44:10] | because you know what people in New York do | 因为你知道纽约那边怎么对待 |
[44:12] | who are dying, Ezra? They don’t sit around | 将死之人的吗 埃泽拉 他们不会坐着 |
[44:14] | and take deep breaths. They fucking fight. | 深呼吸 他们会抗争到底 |
[44:54] | Helen. | 海伦 |
[44:56] | Helen! | 海伦 |
[44:59] | Helen. | 海伦 |
[45:03] | Can you turn the music down a little? | 能把音乐开小声点吗 |
[45:14] | You okay? | 你没事吧 |
[45:15] | You want to talk? | 想聊聊吗 |
[45:19] | No, no, I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[45:20] | Can you just get the fucking kids? | 你能去把孩子带出来吗 |
[45:21] | I have to go to this benefit for Vik tonight. | 今晚我得参加维克授奖的晚宴 |
[45:25] | Sure. Two fucking kids coming straight up. | 好的 两个孩子这就来 |
[45:28] | Hey, and you know this whole | 还有你在上演的 |
[45:29] | nice-guy routine you got going on? | 这一场好好先生戏码 |
[45:31] | Can you just knock it off? | 能打住吗 |
[45:44] | I know I have to wrap this up, | 我知道该结束了 |
[45:45] | so in closing, I’d just like to say… | 在最后 我想说… |
[45:48] | I’m thrilled that my new role | 我很激动 我的新角色 |
[45:51] | as your chief of pediatric surgery | 你们的小儿外科医生主任 |
[45:53] | has brought me home, back to L.A. | 让我回到了家 回到了洛杉矶 |
[45:58] | This award, and the… | 这个奖 |
[46:00] | recognition of the work I’ve done, | 你们对我工作表现的肯定 |
[46:02] | it means so much to me. | 对我来说意义重大 |
[46:05] | But what means even more is the work to come. | 但更重要的是今后的工作 |
[46:08] | The work that we’ll do together. | 我们将共事的这份工作 |
[46:13] | I hope tonight is the start of a long journey. | 我希望今晚是我们漫长旅程的起点 |
[46:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[46:41] | It seems your colleagues enjoyed the speech. | 看起来你的同事们很欣赏你的演讲 |
[46:44] | Thanks, Dad. | 谢谢爸 |
[46:46] | Well done, son. Well done. | 干得好 儿子 |
[46:47] | Let’s take a photograph with your father. | 来跟你父亲一起合张影 |
[46:49] | – Okay. – Yeah. | -好的 -嗯 |
[46:53] | There we go. | 好了 |
[46:54] | Very nice. | 很好 |
[46:56] | And one more. | 再来一张 |
[46:58] | Lovely. | 真棒 |
[47:00] | Okay, why don’t we take one with the award? | 不如拿着奖杯拍一张 |
[47:04] | – Where is it? – Helen, can you… | -在哪儿 -海伦 你能… |
[47:08] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[47:09] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[47:10] | Oh, thanks, guys. Thank you. | 谢谢大家 |
[47:14] | If you’ll excuse me, I’m gonna run to the ladies’… | 失陪一下 我要去趟洗手… |
[47:16] | Beautiful. | 好极了 |
[47:19] | room. | 间 |
[47:23] | No, I didn’t. I took the 101 to the 405. | 不 我没有 我从101开到405高速 |
[47:25] | And you got off on Sunset? | 你在日落大道下的吗 |
[47:27] | – No, Wilshire. – Wilshire. Brilliant. | -没 到了威尔夏 -威尔夏 好极了 |
[47:29] | I came over Laurel Canyon, which was a disaster, | 我之前去过月桂谷 那里糟透了 |
[47:31] | and then I went down to Beverly, which was a nightmare. | 然后我去了比弗利 那里简直就是噩梦 |
[47:34] | Oh, no, you can’t take Beverly. | 不 你千万别去比弗利 |
[47:35] | All the schools get out at the same time. | 所有学校放学时间都一样 |
[47:37] | Oh, now you tell me. | 你现在才告诉我 |
[47:39] | By the way, your tits look great. | 对了 你奶子看着很不错 |
[47:42] | Thanks. They’re new. | 谢谢 我新做的 |
[47:47] | You have to give me the name of your surgeon. | 快把给你做手术的医生名字告诉我 |
[47:49] | Oh, I will, but he’s booked for two years. | 好的 可是他的预约已经排到两年后了 |
[47:53] | He must be so good. | 那他一定很厉害 |
[47:55] | He really is the best. | 他绝对是最棒的 |
[47:57] | Hi. | 你好 |
[48:02] | That was a great speech, wasn’t it? | 刚才的演讲很棒 你说呢 |
[48:04] | Vik did very well. | 维克做得很棒 |
[48:09] | He’s worked so hard his whole life. | 他一直都很努力 |
[48:12] | From when he was a little boy, | 当他还是个小男孩时 |
[48:14] | he just pushed himself and pushed himself. | 他就不停的鞭策勉励自己 |
[48:17] | Abdul and I were so worried that he would never slow down, | 阿布都和我都怕他变成工作狂 |
[48:21] | never enjoy his success. | 不肯停下来享受胜利的果实 |
[48:23] | But now, finally, he can. | 但现在 他终于可以了 |
[48:26] | And I am so happy for him. | 而我为他感到高兴 |
[48:35] | Priya, I need your help. | 普丽娅 我需要你的帮助 |
[48:43] | Vik is very sick. | 维克病得很重 |
[48:47] | And he won’t listen to me. | 可他不肯听我的话 |
[48:48] | He’s refusing treatment. | 他不愿意接受治疗 |
[48:49] | But he has to do something. If he waits… | 但他必须得采取点行动 如果拖延… |
[48:55] | And I know how much you and Abdul mean to him | 我知道你和阿布在他心里的地位很重 |
[48:58] | and how much he wants to make you proud, | 以及他很希望你们能以他为傲 |
[48:59] | so I just… I just thought that maybe if it… | 所以我…我只是希望或许… |
[49:01] | if it came from you… | 如果由你出面… |
[49:19] | Thank you for telling me. | 谢谢你告诉我这些 |
[49:49] | – Hi. – My mom’s not feeling well. | -嗨 -我妈感觉不太舒服 |
[49:54] | She’s got a bad headache. | 她头有点疼 |
[49:56] | So… | 所以… |
[49:58] | we’re leaving early. | 我们要早点走了 |
[49:58] | No. Oh, don’t leave. | 别 别走 |
[50:00] | I-I have Advil, I think. | 我好像有布洛芬 |
[50:02] | No, a little rest is what I need. | 不了 我需要稍微休息一下 |
[50:08] | I’m gonna walk them out. | 我送他们出去 |
[50:09] | I’m gonna come with you. | 我跟你一起去 |
[50:11] | Oh, sorry. | 抱歉 |
[50:13] | You’re sure you know how to get home from here? | 你们确定知道怎么回家吗 |
[50:15] | I can write down directions. | 我可以把方向写下来 |
[50:16] | If we get lost again, we’ll stop at a petrol station. | 如果我们又迷路了 我们会去加油站等着 |
[50:19] | Dad, it’ll take two seconds. Just let– | 爸 用不了多长时间 让我… |
[50:21] | The car is here, Priya. | 车来了 普丽娅 |
[50:23] | We’ll see you soon, Vikram. | 我们回头见 维克拉姆 |
[50:25] | Okay. Good night, Mom. | 好的 晚安 妈妈 |
[50:36] | Priya. Priya. | 普丽娅 普丽娅 |
[50:38] | Did you not hear what I said? | 你没听到我说的话吗 |
[50:40] | Vik has cancer. | 维克得了癌症 |
[50:42] | He has late-stage cancer, and he needs to get treatment. | 他现在是癌症晚期 他应该接受治疗 |
[50:45] | Please, I don’t know… | 拜托了 我不知道… |
[50:55] | I don’t know what else to do. | 我已经别无它法了 |
[50:58] | Please. | 求求你 |
[51:04] | You’re going to figure this out, Vikram. | 你能处理好这件事的 维克拉姆 |
[51:07] | You always do. | 你一直如此 |
[51:10] | Thanks, Ma. | 谢谢 妈妈 |
[51:28] | Hand me the water. | 把水递给我 |
[51:42] | Can we please talk about this like adults? | 我们能像成年人一样谈谈此事吗 |
[51:59] | I asked you to do one thing. | 我只求你了一件事 |
[52:03] | One thing. | 一件事 |
[52:06] | I asked you not to tell my parents. | 我求你别告诉我的父母 |
[52:09] | – And what did you do? – I had to. | -你是怎么做的 -我必须这样 |
[52:11] | She’s your mother. | 她是你妈妈 |
[52:14] | Honestly, I don’t… I don’t understand your family. | 说实话 我不…我不懂你们一家人 |
[52:17] | It’s like you’re all in denial. | 就好像你们都不愿接受 |
[52:18] | Is it just a way of life for you? | 这就是你们的生存之道吗 |
[52:22] | Oh, my God. | 天呐 |
[52:25] | You really don’t understand anything, do you? | 你真的一点也不懂人情世故 对吧 |
[52:31] | You might as well have grown up in a fucking castle. | 你简直像是在城堡里面长大的 |
[52:33] | You are such a privileged, entitled little… | 你真是个自以为是 有点… |
[52:46] | You want to criticize my parents? | 你想批判我父母吗 |
[52:51] | What the fuck have you ever had to sacrifice for your kids? | 你为你的孩子做过什么样的牺牲 |
[52:57] | My dad was a doctor. | 我父亲之前是名医生 |
[53:01] | A cardiologist. | 心脏病医生 |
[53:03] | Like, a really respected young doctor back in Beirut. | 曾是贝鲁特备受尊重的青年医生 |
[53:07] | And now he’s a fucking dry cleaner | 如今他却成了干洗工 |
[53:10] | because he wanted to raise me here. | 因为他想在这里抚养我长大 |
[53:15] | They never took vacations | 他们从来没有假期 |
[53:16] | or-or went home for weddings | 或者回家参加婚礼 |
[53:19] | or births or funerals, | 新生儿出生或者葬礼 |
[53:23] | because every last scrap of money was for Vikram. | 因为每一分钱都得花在维克拉姆身上 |
[53:28] | For Vikram’s education. | 为了维克拉姆的教育 |
[53:32] | So they could send me to college and medical school. | 这样他们就能供我读大学和医学院 |
[53:37] | They denied themselves everything | 他们放弃了一切 |
[53:41] | to make me into something they could be proud of. | 就是为了让我出人头地 |
[53:43] | So yeah, yeah, denial is a way of life for them, | 所以 没错 放弃就是他们能做的 |
[53:47] | and all I wanted, all I asked of you, | 我想要的 我只求你一件事 |
[53:50] | was to spare them the pain of knowing | 就是为了不让他们知道 |
[53:52] | that all that was for nothing. | 他们所做的一切都是徒劳 |
[53:54] | I mean, couldn’t they get one night, just one night, | 他们就不能有一个晚上 就一个晚上 |
[54:00] | to enjoy what all of their sacrifice had achieved? | 去享受他们的付出所带来的成果 |
[54:03] | Don’t say it was all for nothing. | 别说这一切都是徒劳 |
[54:06] | We don’t know that. | 我们可不知道 |
[54:07] | There are treatments. There are trials. | 有治疗方法的 可以诊治试验的 |
[54:09] | You’re not a fucking doctor, Helen. I am. | 你不是医生 海伦 我才是 |
[54:12] | – I know. – No, you don’t. | -我知道 -不 你不知道 |
[54:16] | I have pancreatic cancer. | 我得了胰腺癌 |
[54:20] | And those trials aren’t promising. | 那些诊治试验没什么希望 |
[54:23] | They’re desperate. | 都是孤注一掷 |
[54:26] | Because there is no real treatment for this. | 因为这个病是不治之症 |
[54:30] | There is no cure. | 根本无法治好 |
[54:32] | No hope. | 毫无希望 |
[54:36] | I am going to die. | 我要死了 |
[54:57] | I’ve spent my entire career | 我穷极一生 |
[54:59] | giving false hope to my patients, | 给了我父母虚假的希望 |
[55:04] | and I am not gonna fucking do it for you. | 我不能再这样对你了 |
[55:12] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[55:17] | Vik, I’m really sorry. | 维克 我很抱歉 |
[55:19] | I, uh… I fucked up. | 我…我搞砸了 |
[55:23] | What do you want me to do? | 你想让我怎么做 |
[55:24] | I told you. | 我跟你说过 |
[55:31] | I want to have a baby. | 我想要个孩子 |
[55:36] | If you really want to do something for me, | 如果你真的想为我做点什么 |
[55:38] | you can do that. | 这就是你能做的 |
[56:36] | We’re so lucky to be here. | 能来这里简直太幸运了 |
[56:38] | I heard this guy’s success rate is insane. | 我听说这家伙的成功率高的离谱 |
[56:47] | Can I ask you a question? | 我能问你个问题吗 |
[56:49] | Sure. | 可以 |
[56:50] | Who was president the year you were born? | 你出生那年的总统是谁 |
[56:54] | Bush? | 布什 |