时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | With Pentecost tomorrow, | 明天就是圣灵降临节 |
[00:03] | I believe our killer will be compelled to act. | 我相信凶手会忍不住再次下手 |
[00:06] | We plan on using a decoy. | 我们计划用诱饵 |
[00:11] | Do not betray your kind, Roosevelt. | 别胳膊肘往外拐 罗斯福 |
[00:14] | You’ll find yourself with no friends. | 你会发现自己丢了朋友 |
[00:17] | You have no right to live among decent people. | 你无权生活在正常人社会中 |
[00:19] | I’m a Van Bergen! You’re a nobody! | 我是凡·伯根家族的人 你是个无名小卒 |
[00:24] | You don’t have the courage to see yourself | 你没有勇气正视 |
[00:25] | for who you really are. It’s because you’re a coward. | 你自己真正的样子 |
[00:32] | I can take you away. | 我可以带你离开 |
[00:34] | Stop him! | 拦住他 |
[00:42] | Cyrus? | 塞拉斯 |
[00:44] | – Where is he? – He got away. | -他在哪里 -他逃走了 |
[01:22] | Is that closer, Stevie? | 这样更像了吗 史蒂文 |
[01:23] | No, that ain’t him, neither. | 不 那也不是他 |
[01:28] | Are you quite sure the eyes weren’t further apart? | 你确定眼距不是更宽些吗 |
[01:31] | No. I told you, the eyes were bunched up | 不 我说了 他的眼睛挤在了一起 |
[01:32] | and the forehead was big as a wall. | 脑门像堵墙一样大 |
[01:34] | That could have been the angle you saw him from. | 或许是因为你看他的角度 |
[01:38] | – He was a tall man. – Don’t put words in his mouth. | -他很高 -别替他说话 |
[01:40] | The one thing I know better than you is how to draw. | 我唯一比你强的地方就是绘画 |
[01:42] | The drawings may be yours, | 图是你画的 |
[01:43] | but it’s Stevie who saw the man’s face, not you. | 但是史蒂文看到了那人的脸 不是你 |
[01:45] | Listen to what he tells you. Don’t tell him what he saw. | 听他说的 别告诉他他看到了什么 |
[01:49] | He’s telling me what he saw. | 他告诉我他看到什么了 |
[01:51] | But you’re not listening. | 但你没听进去 |
[01:52] | You’re drawing what you want to draw. | 你画的是你想画的 |
[01:54] | Why don’t you draw it, then? | 那你怎么不来画 |
[01:55] | All that’s required is that you put aside | 你只需要放下 |
[01:57] | your preconceived notions of who the killer is | 你对凶手身份的固有想法 |
[01:59] | – and just listen to what’s being said. – I am listening! | -听他说了什么 -我听了 |
[02:02] | Stop! | 够了 |
[02:06] | Stop it! | 别吵了 |
[02:11] | We ain’t gonna find nobody like this. | 我们这样是找不到人的 |
[02:37] | Doctor, do you not find it ironic that an immigrant child | 博士 你不觉得讽刺吗 一个移民孩子 |
[02:40] | was left at the foot of Lady Liberty herself?! | 被丢在了自由女神像脚下 |
[02:58] | – You can’t be in here. – Mr. Tuthill, it’s all right. | -你不能进来 -泰悉尔先生 没事 |
[03:01] | They’re here at my request. | 是我叫他们来的 |
[03:14] | Has the child been identified? | 孩子的身份确认了吗 |
[03:16] | His name is Ernst Lohmann. | 他叫恩斯特·罗曼 |
[03:20] | He called himself “Rosie.” | 他自称”萝茜” |
[03:23] | He worked at the brothel we were watching. | 他在我们监视的那家妓院工作 |
[03:26] | As we’ve observed with the others, | 就像其他人那样 |
[03:28] | removal of the genitalia, | 生殖器被割掉 |
[03:31] | severing of the right hand above the wrist — | 右手从手腕上方处被割掉 |
[03:33] | both the ulna and radius cleanly cut — | 尺骨和桡骨都是被整齐切开 |
[03:36] | massive damage to the thorax | 胸部大面积受损 |
[03:37] | with lateral lacerations to the abdomen. | 腹部有侧向撕裂伤 |
[03:42] | He only cut out one eye. | 他只挖出了一只眼睛 |
[03:44] | Perhaps he was interrupted? | 或许是被打断了 |
[03:50] | He’s taken his heart. | 他取走了他的心脏 |
[03:53] | That’s new. | 这是第一次 |
[03:56] | Also, he’s removed | 而且 他还取下了 |
[03:57] | this section of scalp covering the parietal bone. | 顶骨上的这部分头皮 |
[04:02] | Scalped. | 割头皮 |
[04:03] | I’ve only ever seen the likes of that out West. | 我只在西部见过这种事 |
[04:10] | What did you say? | 你说什么 |
[04:12] | I saw something similar when I was ranching in the Dakotas. | 我在达科他州经营农场时见过类似的事 |
[04:15] | I had the misfortune to look upon the corpses | 我不幸看到了几具白人的尸体 |
[04:18] | of several white men mutilated after an Indian massacre. | 是在一场印第安大屠杀后被人残杀 |
[04:24] | Look at the body, please. | 请看看尸体 |
[04:25] | Are you sure what you saw was similar? | 你确定你所见到的是类似的情景吗 |
[04:35] | Similar, yes — the eyes… | 类似是的 眼睛 |
[04:39] | the lower parts. | 下体 |
[04:43] | Of course. | 当然了 |
[04:49] | After you’ve finished, re-examine the correspondence | 你完成尸检后 重新检查 |
[04:51] | we received from the mental hospitals, the asylums. | 我们收到来自医院 疯人院的通信 |
[04:54] | Look for any mention of patients with a connection to the West. | 寻找跟西部的联系 |
[04:56] | Indians, settlers, laborers of the railroad — | 印第安人 移居者 铁路工人 |
[04:59] | we make no distinction, not yet. | 暂时不做区分 |
[05:04] | Miss Howard will be needed to assist them. | 霍华德小姐得帮助他们 |
[05:07] | And now if I may have a moment alone. | 现在 容我单独待会儿 |
[07:19] | You who have no children. You have no soul. | 你没有孩子 你没有灵魂 |
[07:22] | He has no children of his own so he must use | 他没有自己的孩子 就非得 |
[07:24] | the children of others to prove his crazy ideas — our children! | 用我们的孩子来证明他自己的疯狂想法 |
[07:45] | Get in. | 上车 |
[07:46] | Good morning, gentlemen. | 早上好 先生们 |
[07:56] | What happened? | 怎么回事 |
[07:58] | Another kid was gutted, this time right under our noses. | 又有个孩子被杀了 这次就在我们眼皮底下 |
[08:04] | It wasn’t Van Bergen what done it. | 可不是凡·伯根干的 |
[08:07] | Not him? | 不是他吗 |
[08:10] | Th-th-the timin’… | 时间… |
[08:12] | it don’t fit right. | 对不上 |
[08:15] | He was already… | 他已经 |
[08:17] | He was already what? | 他已经什么 |
[08:20] | Well, speak up, man. | 说啊 |
[08:31] | Twas an accident. | 是个意外 |
[08:33] | What did you do to him? | 你对他做了什么 |
[08:35] | “Keep an eye on him,” I said. | 我只说让你盯着他的 |
[08:38] | What do I pay you for, anyway? Jesus! | 我到底雇你干什么的 天呐 |
[08:40] | Don’t worry. Chief, they won’t be found. | 别担心 局长 找不到他的 |
[08:43] | I took care of it. | 我处理好了 |
[09:03] | Let me tell you how this city is run, ya stupid mick. | 我来告诉你这个城市的规矩吧 你个蠢爱尔兰佬 |
[09:08] | We serve the rich, | 我们服务富人 |
[09:11] | and in return they raise us above the primordial filth. | 而作为报偿 他们带我们脱离原始的肮脏 |
[09:17] | And God help us if we don’t keep our end of the bargain. | 要是我们不能做到 可就惨了 |
[09:22] | You see, to them, | 对于他们 |
[09:26] | you and me are nothing but dumb animals, | 你和我不过是愚蠢的动物 |
[09:30] | no better than the lowlifes and the tenement scum we protect ’em from. | 并不比我们替他们挡住的那些人渣和穷人强 |
[09:35] | It don’t matter that they — | 哪怕他们 |
[09:38] | that they got soft hands | 手很软 |
[09:39] | and that they dress in silk bloomers. | 穿着丝绸的女裤 |
[09:44] | So long as they have money, we do their biddin’. | 只要他们有钱 我们就得听他们的 |
[09:52] | And if you don’t, they’ll pay someone twice your size | 如果你不那么做 他们会雇比你膀一倍的人 |
[09:55] | to sink you to the bottom of the river, | 把你沉进河底 |
[09:57] | like you no doubt done to their son. | 就像你对他们的儿子那样 |
[10:09] | Chief. | 局长 |
[10:18] | So don’t tell me that you bloody took care of it. | 别跟我说什么你处理好了 |
[10:38] | Can I drop you gentlemen somewhere? | 要我送你们去哪吗 |
[10:40] | The Natural History Museum, if it’s convenient. | 自然历史博物馆 如果方便的话 |
[10:43] | – 77th and — – I know where it is. | -77街 -我知道在哪 |
[10:46] | West 77th and Central Park, Jack. | 西77街和中央公园 杰克 |
[10:48] | You got it, boss. | 好的 老板 |
[10:53] | I once read a monograph you wrote. | 我曾读过你写的一篇专题著作 |
[10:56] | I even understood some of it. | 我甚至还看懂了一部分 |
[10:58] | Is that what we’re here to discuss? | 我们就是来谈这个的吗 |
[11:00] | “The Harm We Do To Our Children Is Revisited On Ourselves.” | 《我们对孩子的伤害会回到我们身上》 |
[11:05] | Catchy title. | 标题很上口 |
[11:07] | Have you children, Mr. Kelly? | 你有孩子吗 凯利先生 |
[11:09] | I count all the poor of the Five Points as mine. | 我把五叉路教堂的孩子都看做是我的孩子 |
[11:13] | Abused by their betters, | 被富人所虐待 |
[11:15] | swindled by Wall Street, | 被华尔街所欺骗 |
[11:18] | shunned by the swells on Millionaires’ Row — | 被百万富翁巷的富人拒之门外 |
[11:20] | I was proud of my people back there. | 我为那些我的人民感到自豪 |
[11:23] | They’ve gotten off their knees for once. | 他们终于站起来了一次 |
[11:25] | But you know how mobs can be. | 但是暴民的德行你也知道 |
[11:27] | Arranged by yourself, no doubt. | 肯定是你安排的了 |
[11:32] | You’re looking a little more chipper than the last time we met. | 你可比我们上次见面时要精神多了 |
[11:36] | Where was that again? | 那是在哪来着 |
[11:40] | In this case, what do we owe you for the ride, | 你捎我们一程 想要得到什么呢 |
[11:42] | other than our gratitude? | 除了我们的感激 |
[11:45] | Whoa there! | 停车 |
[11:46] | Well, now that you’re asking, | 既然你们问了 |
[11:50] | you could deliver a gentle word | 你们可以向你们的朋友 |
[11:52] | in the ear of your friend, Mr. Roosevelt. | 罗斯福先生捎句话 |
[11:56] | He keeps my brothels shut down any longer, | 如果他再继续关着我的妓院 |
[11:58] | he will have hell to to pay. | 我就要他好看 |
[12:00] | You can let him know | 告诉他 |
[12:03] | the rioting today was just a taster. | 今天的暴动只是小试牛刀 |
[12:05] | It was our idea to close the brothels, Mr. Kelly. | 关闭妓院是我们的点子 凯利先生 |
[12:11] | Sure, I know. | 我知道 |
[12:15] | And I applaud your efforts. | 我赞赏你们的努力 |
[12:18] | So let me tell you, Doctor… | 所以我告诉你 博士 |
[12:22] | You are fighting a monster — | 你在对付一个怪物 |
[12:24] | one that reaches from Millionaires’ Mile | 他从百万富翁巷 |
[12:26] | all the way down to Mulberry Street, | 把手伸到了莫勃利街 |
[12:29] | and if you’re not careful, | 如果你们不小心 |
[12:31] | it will devour you long before you find your child killer. | 它会先吃了你 你们根本来不及找到孩子杀手 |
[12:57] | Excuse us for being late, Miss Howard. | 抱歉我们迟了 霍华德小姐 |
[12:59] | Let’s get started. Here’s the correspondence | 我们开始吧 这就是博士要我们 |
[13:01] | from the mental hospitals | 重新查看的 |
[13:02] | the doctor wanted us to re-examine. | 精神病院的通信 |
[13:06] | Shall we? | 开始吧 |
[13:09] | I hope you’re not implying the native customs | 希望你不是在说土著习俗 |
[13:12] | have anything to do with these murders. | 跟这些凶案有什么关系 |
[13:15] | I mean, we have got already enough trouble | 我们本来就在改变公众 |
[13:16] | changing the public view of the natives. | 对土著人的观点上举步维艰 |
[13:19] | That’s what we’ve come to find out, Franz. | 这就是我们此行要弄清楚的 弗兰茨 |
[13:23] | My own knowledge about the Plains Tribes | 我个人对平原部落的了解 |
[13:25] | is poorly inefficient, | 只是皮毛而已 |
[13:27] | but I have a young colleague who may be able to help you. | 但是我有一个年轻的同事也许能帮到你们 |
[13:38] | What is it? | 写了什么 |
[13:40] | A detailed description. | 一份详细的描述 |
[13:42] | uh, from an asylum inmate who witnessed the battlefield | 一位收容所犯人写的 他目击了小巨角战役 |
[13:45] | after Little Bighorn. | 战后的杀戮现场 |
[13:47] | Well, read it aloud. | 大声读一下 |
[13:49] | He’s too old to be our man. | 他年纪太大了 不是我们要找的人 |
[13:51] | Besides, he’s still locked up. | 而且 他还被收押着 |
[13:54] | Please don’t look at me like that. | 别这么看着我 |
[13:58] | Or each other. | 也别对眼神 |
[14:12] | “The bodies were heaped around four great boulders. | “尸体在四块岩石周围堆积着 |
[14:15] | I saw eyeballs torn out and smeared on the rocks — | “我看见挖出来的眼球抹在石头上 |
[14:21] | “Brains, too. Noses and ears were hacked off | “脑浆也是 鼻子和耳朵都被砍下来了 |
[14:25] | “And entrails exposed. | “肠子都露在外面 |
[14:27] | “General Custer’s body lay in the middle of the carnage.” | “卡斯特将军的尸体就在屠杀现场的中心” |
[14:31] | “His thighs had been slashed to the bone, his ears slit, | “他的大腿被砍得露出了骨头 撕掉了耳朵 |
[14:36] | and at least a dozen arrows pierced his groin.” | 至少十来只箭射穿了他的腹股沟” |
[14:41] | Castration and mutilation of the genitals were quite common. | 阉割和破坏生殖器非常常见 |
[14:44] | The Sioux believed that each man’s Nagi, his spirit, | 苏族相信每个人都是纳吉 人的灵魂 |
[14:48] | entered the afterlife in the exact same form | 会在死亡的时候进入来世 |
[14:50] | he left the world at his death. | 并且和死前的样子相同 |
[14:52] | So if a warrior truly hated his enemy, | 所以如果勇士对敌人恨之入骨 |
[14:55] | he’d chop off his manhood to prevent him | 他会砍掉对方的命根子 |
[14:56] | from enjoying the pleasures of copulation in the spirit world. | 防止他在灵界享受合欢的快乐 |
[15:00] | Spirits copulate? | 神交 |
[15:01] | I, uh, suppose there’s not much else to do. | 我估计在那边也没什么可干的了 |
[15:06] | What about the eyes? | 那眼睛呢 |
[15:07] | The belief is the Nagi has to take a perilous journey | 他们相信纳吉到达精神世界 |
[15:10] | to reach the spirit world. | 需要经过冒险 |
[15:11] | If the eyes are missing, they can’t find their way | 如果没有了眼睛 他们就找不到路 |
[15:13] | and thus will be forced to return to our world | 也因此被迫返回我们的世界 |
[15:16] | and wander forever as a lost and forlorn ghost. | 作为孤魂野鬼永远游荡着 |
[15:19] | Of course, that’s one big difference | 当然 这跟你们调查的肢解 |
[15:21] | with the mutilations you’re investigating. | 有天壤之别 |
[15:24] | And that is? | 什么区别 |
[15:26] | Children. | 儿童 |
[15:28] | No self-respecting Plains Indian | 自尊自重的大草原印第安人 |
[15:29] | would ever commit this kind of ritual mutilation on a child. | 不会下手肢解一个孩子 |
[15:33] | It would mean admitting you considered the child a threat, | 那会说明你认为孩子是个威胁 |
[15:36] | and that’d be deemed shameful and cowardly. | 这是一件既丢人又懦弱的事 |
[15:40] | Then you don’t believe that our mutilations | 那么你认为我们的肢解 |
[15:42] | were part of an Indian ritual? | 并不是印第安仪式的一部分了 |
[15:44] | To anyone who understands the culture, most decidedly not. | 对任何一个了解该文化的人来说 肯定不是 |
[15:47] | What about someone who doesn’t understand the culture, | 如果是一个并不了解文化 |
[15:50] | someone who has perhaps witnessed mutilations | 可能只是目击过肢解的人呢 |
[15:53] | such as these without knowing what they mean? | 比如并不理解背后的意义的人 |
[15:56] | Then I’d say they would apply to them their own meaning. | 我认为他们会给这个行为赋予他们自己的看法 |
[16:01] | “Dirtier than a Red Injun.” | “比红印第安人还肮脏” |
[16:02] | It’s in the letter he wrote to Mrs. Santorelli. | 他给圣雷利太太的心里写到的 |
[16:04] | He’s witnessed these things, probably as a child | 他可能在孩童时期目击过这样的场景 |
[16:07] | since there’s been no account of a massacre for 20 years — | 因为已经有20年没发生过大屠杀了 |
[16:09] | not by Indians, anyway. | 至少印第安人没干过 |
[16:11] | – But Van Bergen was never out West? – Exactly. | -可凡·伯根从来没去过西部吗 -是的 |
[16:14] | We blundered last night, John, but we’re getting closer. | 虽然我们昨晚失利了 约翰 但更接近了 |
[16:37] | Miss Joanna? | 乔安娜小姐 |
[16:44] | I’m glad you were able to get here so quickly. | 很高兴你这么快就赶来了 |
[16:46] | Miss Joanna would make you Mr. Laszlo. | 那我可得叫你拉兹洛先生了 |
[16:49] | Miss Crawford. How is he? | 克劳福特小姐 他怎么样了 |
[16:52] | He was asking if you’d been to visit. | 他问你有没有来过 |
[16:54] | I brought him some food. | 我给他带了点吃的 |
[16:56] | The fare at hospitals can be less than flavorful. | 医院的吃的算不上可口 |
[17:02] | Cyrus told me you’ve found employment? | 塞拉斯跟我说你找到工作了 |
[17:05] | Yes, at The Philadelphia Tribune. | 是的 在《费城论坛报》 |
[17:07] | Excellent. | 很好 |
[17:09] | They only pay me by the article, | 他们只是按文章付钱 |
[17:10] | but I’ll be able to reimburse you soon. | 但是我很快就能把钱还给你了 |
[17:13] | The money I gave Cyrus for your education | 我给塞拉斯帮你交学费的钱 |
[17:15] | requires no repayment. | 不用还 |
[17:18] | The service he’s provided me over the years | 这么多年来他为我做的工作 |
[17:19] | is quite sufficient. | 不止这些 |
[17:22] | You mean nearly getting himself killed? | 你是指差点害他被杀 |
[17:26] | I see I’ve offended you without knowing why. | 我看出来我冒犯你了 但我不知道原因 |
[17:29] | You could have released him from your services a long time ago. | 你本来很久以前就能放他离开的 |
[17:33] | That was your decision to make. | 那是你的决定 |
[17:35] | I have as much need of him as he has of me. | 我很需要他 就像他需要我一样 |
[17:38] | More, I’d say. | 看来你需要的更多 |
[17:42] | I was speaking of friendship. | 我说的是友情 |
[17:44] | Your “Friend” Spends most of his time in the stables. | 你的”朋友”大部分时间都在马厩里度过 |
[17:49] | My uncle may take acts of kindness | 我叔叔可能会把这些善举 |
[17:51] | as a mark of your decency, | 看作是你有风度的体现 |
[17:54] | but I see keeping him downtrodden | 但我觉得你用这些 |
[17:56] | through courtesy and progressive ideas | 恩惠和进步思想来压迫他 |
[17:58] | as simply more effective than using shackles and a whip. | 只是单纯地比用枷锁和皮鞭更有效而已 |
[18:04] | Thank you for letting me know about my uncle, Doctor. | 谢谢你告诉我 我叔叔的近况 博士 |
[18:07] | And thank you as well for paying for my schooling. | 也谢谢你支付我的学费 |
[18:10] | I still intend to reimburse you. | 我还是会把这笔钱还给你的 |
[19:23] | – Here’s another one. – The same hospital? | -又有一个 -同一家医院 |
[19:25] | Of the patients who match our description | 符合我们描述的 |
[19:27] | that have spent time in the West, these four were sent | 去过西部的病人中 有四名被送到了 |
[19:28] | to St. Elizabeth’s Hospital in Washington. | 华盛顿的圣伊丽莎白医院 |
[19:31] | Look at this one. | 看这个 |
[19:33] | Rudolf Bunzl, | 鲁道夫·邦兹尔 |
[19:36] | released and later committed to Blackwell’s Island | 被释放了 之后又被关在布莱克威尔岛 |
[19:39] | right here in the city. | 就在这座城市里 |
[19:41] | That means they’ll have records on him. | 这说明他们会有他的前科记录 |
[19:51] | I’ve asked Mary to vacate her room | 我让玛丽腾出她的房间 |
[19:53] | so you’d have a more comfortable place to convalesce. | 让你能有一个更舒适的地方来休养身体 |
[20:01] | I’d like to thank you both for your help. | 谢谢你们二人的帮助 |
[20:07] | Frankly, it was more than help. | 说实话 这不仅仅是帮助 |
[20:09] | You’ve put yourselves at great risk. | 你们把自己置于险境 |
[20:11] | What I mean to say is that I take responsibility for the fact | 我想说的是 你们这次这么危险 |
[20:14] | that you came so close to… | 我有责任 |
[20:21] | What I really mean to say is that, uh… | 我真正想说的是 |
[20:25] | I apologize. | 对不起 |
[20:31] | I feel I’ve taken your loyalty and trust for granted. | 我觉得我把你们的忠诚和信任当作理所应当了 |
[20:38] | Doctor… | 博士 |
[20:42] | You don’t have to apologize. | 你不必道歉 |
[20:46] | Right, Stevie? | 对吧 史蒂文 |
[20:48] | Right. | 是的 |
[20:55] | I hope you’ll be comfortable. | 希望你们能住得舒服 |
[21:08] | Egg cream, please. | 请来份蛋蜜乳 |
[21:10] | Coming up. | 马上就来 |
[22:19] | John. | 约翰 |
[22:22] | Laszlo? | 拉兹洛 |
[22:25] | You’ve been chloroformed. | 你被用氯仿麻醉了 |
[22:26] | I could smell it when I got in the wagon. | 我进马车的时候就闻到了 |
[22:29] | But by whom, I don’t know. | 但我不知道是谁干的 |
[22:34] | Whoa there. | 停车 |
[22:54] | What happened to your uniform, Captain? | 你的制服怎么了 警监 |
[23:00] | Go on, get, society boy. | 走吧 上流男孩 |
[23:42] | Well, Laszlo, it seems we find ourselves | 拉兹洛 看来我们到了一个 |
[23:45] | in the presence of a great many sainted men. | 全是圣人的地方 |
[23:50] | Dr. Kreizler, we’re aware of your investigation and demand | 克雷泽勒博士 我们已经知道了你的调查和要求 |
[23:54] | that you and your colleagues desist. | 以及你和你同事们中止的查问 |
[23:58] | Yes. Bishop Potter, I wonder why you, | 是的 波特主教 我想知道 |
[24:02] | a leader of the Church and a pillar of the community | 作为一个教会的领袖和这个社区的支柱 |
[24:05] | would want to stop us in our quest | 你为什么想要阻止我们 |
[24:06] | to find the perpetrator of these terrible murders? | 找到这些谋杀案的元凶 |
[24:09] | Because it’s a matter for the police. | 因为这是警察的工作 |
[24:14] | The man responsible for these crimes | 犯下这些案子的凶手 |
[24:16] | has been active for some time, | 已经逍遥法外有段时间了 |
[24:17] | but the police seem to be unable or unwilling to stop him. | 但警察似乎没办法或者说是不想阻止他 |
[24:22] | Some of the victims were killed during your tenure, Mr. Byrnes. | 有些人是在你的任期内被害的 伯恩先生 |
[24:28] | Not a day goes by in this city | 在这个城市里 |
[24:29] | without some little grifter being found dead on misery lane. | 每天都有一些小偷在小巷子里悲惨死去 |
[24:33] | Murder is murder. | 谋杀就是谋杀 |
[24:35] | Not when it leads to the door of an innocent man. | 但不能归罪于一个无辜的人 |
[24:38] | Willem Van Bergen did not commit these murders. | 威勒姆·凡·伯根不是凶手 |
[24:40] | Of that, I’m quite certain. | 这一点我是非常确定的 |
[24:41] | Oh, no. That’s a lie. He don’t believe that. | 你少撒谎了 你自己都不信 |
[24:44] | Now, you and criminals like Paul Kelly, | 你 和保罗·凯利这样的罪犯 |
[24:47] | along with the agitators and the socialists on his payroll | 以及那些受雇于他的煽动者和社会主义分子 |
[24:51] | are subverting the law. | 就是在破坏法律 |
[24:52] | My only concern is that of seven dead children. | 我只关心死去的那七个孩童 |
[24:55] | Gentlemen. | 各位 |
[25:02] | Gentlemen. | 各位 |
[25:08] | Do you know why I collect art? | 知道我为何收藏艺术品吗 |
[25:12] | It persuades me that the | 艺术使我相信 |
[25:14] | world is a more beautiful place than I know it to be. | 这世界比我所认识的更美好 |
[25:18] | I take comfort in that which I can understand. | 我能理解的事物 令我安心 |
[25:22] | And a man who kills for no apparent reason | 而无缘无故 滥杀无辜者 |
[25:26] | is beyond my comprehension. | 已超越我的理解范围 |
[25:29] | Mr. Morgan, you are a pioneer in your field. | 摩根先生 你在金融领域是先驱 |
[25:33] | You’ve turned finance into a science. | 你将金融变为科学 |
[25:36] | I hope to do the same for the human mind, | 我也希望能将人类心理学变为科学 |
[25:39] | criminal or otherwise. | 无论是否是罪犯 |
[25:41] | By looking at the man’s methods, | 借由观察凶手的手法 |
[25:43] | his appetites and his victims, | 他的嗜好 以及其受害者 |
[25:45] | I believe I can build a clear enough picture | 我相信我能拼凑真相 |
[25:47] | to understand his motives | 以了解他的动机 |
[25:49] | and thereby capture him. | 再将他绳之以法 |
[26:03] | Bishop Potter, may I suggest that you take your leave? | 波特主教 能否麻烦你这就动身 |
[26:07] | And talk to the family of the boy in question. | 去和那男孩的家属谈谈 |
[26:09] | Let them know that their son is no longer under suspicion. | 告诉他们 他们儿子不再是嫌疑人了 |
[26:18] | It’s the least we can do, | 这是我们最起码能做的 |
[26:21] | seeing as how these false accusations | 毕竟这些不实指控 |
[26:24] | have forced the boy to flee the country. | 已经迫使男孩潜逃国外了 |
[26:28] | Mr. Byrnes, why don’t you accompany the Bishop? | 伯恩先生 你陪同主教一起吧 |
[26:31] | I’m sure the family would like a reassuring word | 那一家人若能听见你亲口告诉他们 |
[26:33] | from you as well. | 想必会更安心 |
[26:54] | Doctor, your beliefs are interesting. | 博士 你的信念非常有趣 |
[26:59] | I believe there are two reasons | 我相信 人的所作所为 |
[27:01] | why a man does what he does — | 归根于两种原因 |
[27:05] | the good reason and the real reason. | 好原因 或真正的原因 |
[27:08] | Then why don’t you tell us | 那你何不告诉我们 |
[27:10] | the real reason why you forced us here? | 你强迫我们来此的真正原因 |
[27:16] | The city is changing. | 这座城市正在改变 |
[27:18] | In four years time, we’ll be entering the 20th century, | 再过四年 我们将踏入二十世纪 |
[27:22] | and New York is poised to become | 届时纽约势必成为 |
[27:25] | the greatest economic powerhouse this world has ever seen. | 世上前所未有 最大的经济重心 |
[27:30] | But to do so… | 但要达成此目标 |
[27:33] | we need a compliant workforce. | 我们需要有听命且顺从的劳动力 |
[27:38] | The civil unrest caused by these murders troubles me | 近来的凶杀案造成社会动荡 |
[27:41] | a great deal, a great deal, indeed — | 也令我深感苦恼 非常苦恼 |
[27:44] | possibly even more than the murders themselves. | 可能比这些凶案还要恼 |
[27:47] | A harsh truth, hmm, but a truth nonetheless. | 残酷的真相 依然是真相 |
[27:53] | Would you like a lemonade, Mr. Moore? | 来杯柠檬汁吗 摩尔先生 |
[27:55] | No, thank you. | 不了 谢谢 |
[28:13] | What happened? | 怎么了 |
[28:14] | It looks as though that fat son of a bitch | 看样子那头死肥猪 |
[28:16] | is going to let that alienist continue with his investigation. | 打算让那个精神病学家继续调查 |
[28:24] | They suspect something. I know it. | 他们起疑心了 我知道 |
[28:27] | Well, you better hope that it stays a suspicion. | 那你最好祈祷他们停留在起疑阶段 |
[28:31] | Let’s go! | 出发 |
[28:40] | Better get The Swede back. | 最好把那瑞典人找回来 |
[28:42] | Tell him to bring more than chloroform this time. | 叫他这一次别只带三氯甲烷 |
[28:47] | Gentlemen, you have made yourself a very wide variety | 两位 你们在极短期间内 |
[28:51] | of very powerful enemies in a very short period of time. | 给自己树立了来自各界的强大敌人 |
[28:55] | Now, I can offer you no public support, | 虽然我这儿无法公开提供支持 |
[28:57] | but a quick resolution to this sordid affair | 但是尽快解这件社会丑事 |
[28:59] | is in everyone’s best interest. | 对所有人都有好处 |
[29:01] | Therefore, if you should find yourself in need of any resources | 因此 如果你们在寻找凶手过程中 |
[29:04] | in your quest to find this man — | 需要任何资源… |
[29:06] | Thank you, Mr. Morgan… | 谢谢你 摩根先生 |
[29:09] | but there would be no advantage | 但是您的资金介入 |
[29:10] | to our investigation to have your financial involvement, | 对我们的调查毫无益处 |
[29:13] | especially if it were ever to be made public. | 尤其是这调查还会被公之于众 |
[29:23] | I see. Hmm. | 我明白了 |
[29:30] | You gentlemen have yourselves a good day. | 祝两位今天愉快 再见 |
[29:33] | Why would you turn down his offer if he wants to help you? | 你为什么要拒绝他的帮助 |
[29:36] | Men such as J.P. Morgan are only capable of doing | JP·摩根这种人只做 |
[29:38] | what they perceive to be in their best interest. | 他们认为对自己最有利的事 |
[29:41] | You don’t take something from people like that | 你别指望他们会帮助你 |
[29:43] | without them expecting something in return. | 而不求回报 |
[29:45] | But what could a man like J.P. Morgan want from you? | 但是JP·摩根这样的人能想从你身上得到什么 |
[29:47] | I don’t know, but I’m most unwilling to find out. | 我不知道 不过我也不想知道 |
[30:49] | Help me. | 帮帮我 |
[30:52] | I’m not crazy. Help me. | 我没有疯 帮帮我 |
[30:56] | Miss! | 小姐 |
[31:11] | Help me! | 帮帮我 |
[31:31] | You’re Miss Howard from Commissioner Roosevelt Office? | 你是罗斯福专员办公室的霍华德小姐吗 |
[31:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:37] | You wrote a letter some time back | 你之前应该写了一封信 |
[31:38] | making inquires about patients, I believe. | 问起过一些病人的事 |
[31:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:44] | And we have no one here who fit the parameters of your search. | 我们这里没有人符合你们的搜索条件 |
[31:49] | At the time, no. | 当时的确没有 |
[31:51] | However, upon looking through correspondence | 但是我们在和其他医院 |
[31:52] | from another hospital, it appears there’s a patient here | 进行联络后 发现这里有个病人 |
[31:54] | who matches certain other reference points. | 符合其他描述 |
[32:06] | St. Elizabeth’s. | 圣伊丽莎白医院的 |
[32:09] | Rudolf Bunzl. | 鲁道夫·邦兹尔 |
[32:11] | Mr. Bunzl was released six years ago. | 邦兹尔先生六年前出院了 |
[32:19] | May I see his records? | 我能看看他的记录吗 |
[32:21] | Blackwell’s male patients are being moved to another facility | 布莱克威尔的男性病人被送到其他医院了 |
[32:25] | and all records along with them. | 记录也一并送走了 |
[32:28] | I’m afraid I couldn’t say where Mr. Bunzl’s file is right now. | 恐怕我也不知道邦泽尔先生的文件现在在哪里 |
[32:36] | You could ask St. Elizabeth’s for their records. | 你可以找圣伊丽莎白医院要记录 |
[32:51] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[32:55] | Can I ask why St. Elizabeth’s receives patients | 我能问问为什么圣伊丽莎白医院 |
[32:57] | from the Western states and territories? | 要从西部的州和领地接收病人 |
[33:02] | You work directly for Commissioner Roosevelt? | 你直接为罗斯福专员工作吗 |
[33:05] | I do. | 是的 |
[33:10] | Because it’s a government hospital. | 因为那是一家政府医院 |
[33:13] | Pardon me? | 什么 |
[33:15] | St. Elizabeth’s — | 圣伊丽莎白医院… |
[33:17] | Its official name is The Government Hospital for the Insane, | 全名是政府精神病医院 |
[33:19] | but it’s referred to as “St. Elizabeth’s” out of | 但由于为病人考虑 |
[33:23] | courtesy for its patients. | 而被称为圣伊丽莎白医院 |
[33:26] | And who are its patients? | 病人都是谁 |
[33:29] | Soldiers and sailors deemed unfit for service | 因为精神原因不适合服役的 |
[33:31] | due to mental problems. | 士兵和水手 |
[33:33] | Soldiers? | 士兵 |
[33:35] | Yes. | 没错 |
[33:37] | Sent from out West? | 从西部送来的 |
[33:41] | Some. | 一部分 |
[33:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[34:13] | Mary? | 玛丽 |
[34:33] | I’ve been thinking of the circumstances in which you live | 我一直在想你住的地方 |
[34:38] | that is, in which we live. | 也就是我们住的地方 |
[34:42] | I have no doubt that what happened early in your life | 我相信你之前的经历 |
[34:47] | was the result of events that | 才导致了 |
[34:49] | provoked an aberrant outburst of violence on your part. | 你突然爆发的暴力 |
[34:55] | However, I believe that it’s behind you. | 但是我相信这都过去了 |
[35:04] | So I wonder if it might be best for you… | 所以我想你是不是最好 |
[35:09] | to strike out on your own. | 搬出去 |
[35:18] | You’re a woman now… | 你是个成年女性了 |
[35:21] | and capable of living by yourself. | 能自力更生了 |
[36:05] | Sara? | 莎拉 |
[36:07] | He’s a soldier. | 他是一名士兵 |
[36:09] | What? | 什么 |
[36:11] | I think he may have been a soldier. | 我觉得他可能是一名士兵 |
[36:14] | I went to Blackwell’s Island today. | 我今天去了布莱克威尔岛 |
[36:17] | That must have been difficult. Are you all right? | 肯定很煎熬吧 你没事吧 |
[36:20] | Yes, thank you. | 没事 谢谢 |
[36:23] | I went there to ask after a patient, | 我去问一名病人的事 |
[36:26] | a man with a history of violence toward children. | 他有虐待儿童的前科 |
[36:29] | He was once committed to a mental hospital in Washington, | 他曾经被送到华盛顿的一家精神医院 |
[36:31] | – sent there from out West. – I don’t see the connection. | -从西部 -我看不出有什么关联 |
[36:34] | St. Elizabeth’s is The Government Hospital for the Insane. | 圣伊丽莎白医院是政府精神病院 |
[36:37] | It’s where they send soldiers and sailors deemed unfit for duty. | 他们把不适合服役的士兵和水手都送到哪里 |
[36:40] | What did you find out? | 你发现了什么 |
[36:42] | He was released from Blackwell six years ago. | 他六年前从布莱克威尔岛出院 |
[36:45] | I rang St. Elizabeth’s and asked them to tell me more about him, | 我给圣伊丽莎白医院去电让他们告诉我更多 |
[36:47] | but they wouldn’t provide any information over the telephone. | 但他们在电话里不愿意透露任何信息 |
[36:50] | I propose that I go there in person. | 我想自己亲自去一趟 |
[36:51] | – Have you told Kreizler? – You’ll have to tell him. | -你和克雷泽勒说过了吗 -你去告诉他 |
[36:54] | Well, come on, then, we’ll go together. | 走吧 我们一起去 |
[36:55] | No. | 不 |
[36:58] | Sara, what’s wrong? | 莎拉 怎么了 |
[37:02] | Has something happened between you? | 你们俩之间出什么事了 |
[37:05] | He was right about one thing — | 他有一件事说得没错 |
[37:08] | given certain circumstances, we’re all capable of violence. | 在某种情况下 我们都会行使暴力 |
[37:15] | Did he hurt you? | 他伤害你了吗 |
[37:53] | Ezra? | 以斯拉 |
[37:56] | Ezra! | 以斯拉 |
[37:59] | Where did you get this? | 这是哪里来的 |
[38:08] | A knife is not a toy. | 刀不是玩具 |
[38:21] | Just couldn’t sleep? | 睡不着吗 |
[38:24] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[38:41] | He likes you. | 她喜欢你 |
[38:46] | Hmm. Let’s put him to bed. | 送它上床吧 |
[38:55] | I’m sorry. Am I interrupting? | 抱歉 打扰到你们了吗 |
[38:59] | John. John, this is Ezra. | 约翰 约翰 这是以斯拉 |
[39:04] | Hello, Ezra. | 你好 以斯拉 |
[39:07] | Think you can sleep now? | 能睡着了吗 |
[39:10] | Well, then, good night. | 那晚安吧 |
[39:18] | What’s the matter, John? | 怎么了 约翰 |
[39:20] | You seem disquieted by something. | 你好像非常不安 |
[39:23] | What did you do to her? | 你对她做了什么 |
[39:27] | – To whom? – Sara. | -对谁 -莎拉 |
[39:32] | I’m sure I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[39:34] | What happened? | 发生了什么 |
[39:35] | That’s why you’ve come, to ask me about Sara? | 你就是为了问我关于莎拉的事才来的吗 |
[39:39] | I’ve come to tell you it’s possible our killer | 我是来告诉你我们的凶手可能 |
[39:41] | was once a solider out West. | 曾经是西部的一名士兵 |
[39:45] | How did you arrive at this? | 你怎么知道的 |
[39:47] | Sara. | 是莎拉 |
[39:50] | She intends to go to Washington to continue investigating. | 她准备去华盛顿继续调查 |
[39:54] | That would only draw attention to Roosevelt. | 那样只会给罗斯福徒增关注 |
[39:57] | We’ll make the trip ourselves. | 我们会自己去 |
[39:59] | Tell me what happened between you. | 告诉我你们俩怎么了 |
[40:01] | Sara felt entitled to bring up certain things — | 莎拉觉得有权向我提起一些事 |
[40:03] | personal things that I would rather not discuss with you. | 一些我不想和你说的私事 |
[40:07] | May I remind you it was I that introduced you? | 要我提醒你一下吗 当初是我介绍你们的 |
[40:09] | Yes, our handsome but indolent mutual friend. | 没错 我们帅气怠惰的共同好友 |
[40:14] | Is that what you think of me? | 你是这样看我的吗 |
[40:16] | No. It’s what Sara thinks of you. | 不 莎拉是这样看你的 |
[40:24] | I’m sorry to say it, John, | 我很遗憾 约翰 |
[40:26] | but I’m afraid that’s all she’ll ever think of you. | 但是恐怕她只会这样看你 |
[40:30] | She’s far too kind to say it, | 她人很好 不会说出来 |
[40:31] | so it’s best you hear it from me. | 所以最好由我来告诉你 |
[40:34] | Be careful, Laszlo, | 小心点 拉兹洛 |
[40:38] | or you’re going to end up a lonely old man. | 不然你可是会孤独终老 |
[41:05] | Come on! Knock him out! | 快 揍死他 |
[41:10] | 20 on Eat ‘Em Up Jack. | 生吞杰克押20 |
[41:14] | Come on, Jack! | 加油啊 杰克 |
[41:16] | Eat ’em up! | 把他生吞了 |
[42:16] | You lost, society boy? | 迷路了吗 上流男孩 |
[42:18] | Wandered out of your own neighborhood? | 离开了你的地盘 |
[42:22] | Then again… | 不过 |
[42:25] | you seem to like it down here… | 你好像还是很喜欢这里 |
[42:29] | with all the fairies, the sodomites. | 说些什么男同 娈童的故事 |
[42:35] | Must be a fairy yourself, huh? | 你自己才是男同吧 |
[42:41] | Am I right? | 我没说错吧 |
[42:44] | Look at me. | 看着我 |
[42:48] | Look at me! | 看着我 |
[42:56] | You’re in well over your head, you and that alienist. | 你们太不自量力了 你和那个精神病学家 |
[43:06] | Do you hear me? | 听清楚了吗 |
[43:09] | You don’t scare me, Connor. | 你吓不倒我 康纳 |
[43:54] | Mary… | 玛丽 |
[43:59] | After all that’s happened in the past 24 hours, I… | 过去24小时发生了那么多事 我… |
[44:12] | If it’s not a presumption, I… | 如果可以的话 我.., |
[44:15] | I’d very much like if you would join me for dinner. | 我希望你可以和我共进晚餐 |
[44:50] | Please sit closer. | 请坐近一点 |
[45:14] | I don’t know why I didn’t ask before. | 我不知道为什么我之前没邀请过你 |
[45:34] | This is “O Patria Mia” From Verdi’s “Aida.” | 这是威尔第《阿伊达》中的《我的故乡》 |
[45:40] | Of course you know that. | 你当然知道了 |