时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | You know, there are some of us who don’t even believe he’s even human. | 知道吗 我们有些人都觉得他不是人类 |
[00:04] | Think he might be a…spirit. | 觉得他可能是…鬼 |
[00:06] | He’s most assuredly human. | 他绝对是个人 |
[00:10] | There was a massacre in New Paltz. | 新帕尔茨发生过屠杀案 |
[00:12] | It’s possible it was committed by a man named Beecham — | 可能是一个叫比彻姆的人犯的案 |
[00:15] | John Beecham. | 约翰·比彻姆 |
[00:17] | Do you think it was an accident? | 你觉得是场意外吗 |
[00:19] | His throat was cut from ear to ear. | 他的喉咙被割开拉到了耳根 |
[00:20] | Tell us about your brother. | 告诉我们关于你弟弟的事 |
[00:23] | I came across him sitting astride a dead striker. | 我在后巷撞见他 |
[00:27] | A young man — a boy, really. | 一个年轻男孩 |
[00:30] | He was stabbing at the body with a knife, over and over. | 他不停地用刀捅向尸体 |
[00:35] | Dr. Kreizler! | 克雷泽勒博士 |
[00:37] | Run! Run! | 快跑 快跑 |
[01:15] | “…And if thou wilt, remember, | 如果你愿意 那就记得 |
[01:18] | “And if thou wilt, forget, | 如果你想 就遗忘吧 |
[01:22] | “I shall not see the shadows, | 我不会陷于阴影 |
[01:26] | I shall not feel the rain, | 我不会沐浴大雨 |
[01:29] | “I shall not hear the nightingale sing on, | 我不会听到夜莺的歌声 |
[01:32] | “As if in pain. | 不会痛苦 |
[01:35] | “And dreaming through the twilight, | 梦绕阴阳之界 |
[01:37] | “That doth not rise nor set, | 不分昼夜 |
[01:40] | “Haply I may remember, | 不论铭记或遗忘 |
[01:44] | and haply may forget.” | 都是幸福 |
[01:56] | I’m so very sorry. | 我非常遗憾 |
[02:12] | My deepest condolences. | 深表哀悼 |
[02:15] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[02:19] | Please forgive me | 请原谅我 |
[02:20] | for offering you the same advice you once gave me. | 向你提出你曾给过我的建议 |
[02:25] | You are not alone in your sorrow, | 你不必独自承受悲痛 |
[02:28] | and there’s no shame in grieving for those you love. | 为你所爱之人哀悼也不需感到羞耻 |
[03:13] | Laszlo. | 拉兹洛 |
[03:19] | It’s over. | 结束了 |
[03:23] | This wretched investigation is over. | 这该死的调查结束了 |
[03:29] | Laszlo, give yourself a few days before you — | 拉兹洛 你先缓一天再… |
[03:31] | Before I what? | 再什么 |
[03:35] | Before I get you killed, too? | 再害死你吗 |
[03:39] | You weren’t responsible for her death. | 她的死不是你的错 |
[03:42] | Who then, if not me? | 如果不是我 又是谁 |
[04:45] | So…there we were, | 于是我们 |
[04:47] | waitin’ outside the house for the Doctor to return. | 就在门外等着博士回来 |
[04:50] | And the Indian lass — she invited us in. | 那印第安女人 她请我们进去了 |
[04:55] | “Would you like a lovely cup of tea?” She said. | “你们要喝杯茶吗” 她说 |
[04:58] | She invited you in for a cup of tea? | 她请你们进去喝茶吗 |
[05:01] | I could tell that she was interested in more than a cup of tea. | 我看得出她不止是想喝茶 |
[05:05] | So I made myself scarce. | 于是我就走了 |
[05:11] | Mary couldn’t speak. | 玛丽不能说话 |
[05:15] | I wasn’t being literal, Detective Sergeant. | 那不是字面意思 侦缉警司 |
[05:20] | She said it with her eyes. Know what I mean? | 她用眼神说的 懂吗 |
[05:24] | You saw her lead Connor up to the bedroom? | 你看到她带康纳上了卧室 |
[05:27] | By the nose. | 牵着他的鼻子 |
[05:28] | So when’d she fetch the knife? | 那她什么时候去拿刀的 |
[05:31] | Well… | 这个嘛 |
[05:33] | I suppose she had it hidden, | 我猜她一直 |
[05:36] | up her petticoat the whole time. | 把刀藏在她裙子里的 |
[05:40] | You expect us to believe you? | 你指望我们相信你吗 |
[05:42] | I expect you to believe me | 我指望你们相信我 |
[05:44] | over Sambo and some halfwit stable boy. | 而不是黑人和一个蠢蛋马童 |
[05:51] | – Marcus. – Look at yous, | -马库斯 -看看你们 |
[05:53] | a couple of heebs playin’ at cops. | 两个犹太人扮警察 |
[06:07] | Here’s one for the literary scholars among you. | 这个问题要问你们之中的文学大家 |
[06:09] | Who is the greatest killer of chickens | 莎士比亚的戏剧里 哪个角色 |
[06:12] | in all of Shakespeare’s plays? | 是最大的鸡杀手 |
[06:15] | That would be Macbeth, because… | 是麦克白 因为 |
[06:18] | he committed murder most fowl. | 他犯下了最邪恶[禽类]的谋杀 |
[06:25] | Hello, Commissioner. | 你好 专员 |
[06:28] | You look like you’re on your way to church. | 你似乎是正要去教堂 |
[06:29] | Here. Why don’t you take a pew? | 来 坐吧 |
[06:37] | I’ve been to a funeral. | 我刚从葬礼回来 |
[06:40] | Have you now? | 是吗 |
[06:43] | One could say you bear some of the responsibility, | 可以说此事你也负有一定责任 |
[06:47] | you and the police force you built over the last 30 years. | 你 和你这30年来建立的警力 |
[06:52] | You know, you got rioting in the Points. | 点区有人暴动 |
[06:56] | You got a multi-murderer on the loose, | 还有连环杀人犯在逃 |
[06:58] | and you come walking in here, accusing me of crimes | 你却跑来指责我犯下罪行 |
[07:00] | brought on by your own lack of leadership? | 而那明明是你缺乏领导力引起的 |
[07:05] | And where will I find good men in the department to lead? | 这警局里哪里有好人能让我领导呢 |
[07:12] | Men, good or bad, do not follow what they don’t respect. | 不管好人坏人都不会追随他们不尊重的人 |
[07:19] | And what is it that you teach them to respect? | 那你教他们尊重什么 |
[07:25] | I taught them to respect a badge… | 我教他们尊重警徽 |
[07:30] | …and the uniform… | 警服 |
[07:34] | and all they stand for. | 和他们所代表的一切 |
[07:36] | What they do not respect is weakness. | 他们不尊重软弱 |
[07:49] | Now don’t you have more pressing issues | 你就没有更要紧的事去做了吗 |
[07:51] | other than making false allegations against an old man | 而不是来错误地指控一个老头子 |
[07:53] | who’s just trying to enjoy the fruits of his retirement? | 打扰他享受退休后的清静 |
[07:58] | Weakness is hiding in the past, old man. | 软弱藏在过去 老头子 |
[08:16] | I’m afraid it’s no use. I’ve spoken to Laszlo, | 恐怕不行 我跟拉兹洛谈过了 |
[08:19] | and he won’t — or can’t — change his mind. | 他不肯 或者说无法改主意 |
[08:24] | Then we’ll have to continue without him. | 那我们就只能不带他继续了 |
[08:29] | I know how much of an opportunity this is. | 我知道这是多大的机会 |
[08:33] | I know how much it could help convince — | 我知道这有助于说服… |
[08:35] | Please don’t insult me. | 请别侮辱我 |
[08:39] | Do you honestly believe I’m doing this to advance myself? | 你真觉得我这么做是为了提升自己的地位吗 |
[08:44] | I’m doing this because I want to sleep soundly again. | 我这么做是因为想再次安然入睡 |
[08:48] | What happens when the next boy is killed? | 要是下个男孩被杀呢 |
[08:49] | I’m not talking about what happens. | 我不是在说会发生什么 |
[08:52] | I’m talking about what’s possible. | 我是在说可能发生什么 |
[08:54] | And is it possible for you to walk away from this? | 你可以放手不管吗 |
[08:59] | Because I can’t. | 我可不能 |
[09:04] | Dr. Kreizler’s withdrawn because he’s been hurt, | 克雷泽勒博士退出是因为他受了伤害 |
[09:06] | as badly as anyone can be. | 受了最严重的伤害 |
[09:10] | But we have a duty to go on. | 但我们还有责任继续下去 |
[09:12] | But we don’t have the knowledge or the know-how. | 但我们没有知识 不知道怎么做 |
[09:14] | We have a name. | 我们有个名字 |
[09:17] | We have a suspect. | 我们有嫌疑人了 |
[09:20] | I believe Japheth Dury killed his parents | 我认为亚弗·杜里杀了他的父母 |
[09:22] | and a man named George Beecham. | 以及一个叫乔治·比彻姆的人 |
[09:24] | He took his name, or part of it, | 他用了他一半的名字 |
[09:26] | and became John Beecham. | 变身成了约翰·比彻姆 |
[09:30] | All we have to do is find him. | 我们只需要找到他 |
[09:44] | – What is this place? – It used to be a saloon | -这是什么地方 -原本是沙龙 |
[09:46] | before the Commissioner’s Sunday Licensing Laws | 但专员的《周日执照法》 |
[09:48] | put it out of business. | 让它黄了 |
[10:00] | Welcome to our new headquarters. | 欢迎来到我们的新总部 |
[10:17] | I followed him to his place. | 我跟踪他去了他家 |
[10:20] | Connor. | 康纳 |
[10:22] | He lives in Brooklyn. | 他住在布鲁克林 |
[10:24] | They’re the only family in the house, | 那房子里只有他们一家 |
[10:25] | even got a yard and an outhouse. | 他们还有院子和屋外厕所 |
[10:31] | It ain’t fair he’s living like that | 这不公平 他活得阔绰 |
[10:32] | and Mary’s in the ground. | 玛丽却死了 |
[10:37] | It’s a pity she didn’t finish him off. | 真可惜她没干掉他 |
[10:38] | because if I got the chance, I would stick a shank in his throat. | 我要是有机会 会一把刀插进他喉咙里 |
[10:43] | You ain’t gotta cut a man’s throat to kill him. | 你想杀人不需要割他喉 |
[10:46] | All you gotta do is… | 你只需要 |
[10:49] | cut a man on his leg, | 砍伤他的腿 |
[10:51] | nick a vein, you put him away right quick. | 割断一条血管 他很快就能没命 |
[11:02] | None of the murders have taken place above 14th Street. | 所有凶案都发生在14街以下 |
[11:05] | We should narrow our inquiries | 我们该将讯问 |
[11:06] | to Greenwich Village and the Lower East Side. | 限制在格林威治和下东区 |
[11:08] | That’s only half the population of the city. | 不过是城市一半的人口 |
[11:10] | He — he knows his way around the rooftops. | 他在屋顶上驾轻就熟 |
[11:13] | Perhaps his profession is somehow connected. | 或许跟他的职业有几分关系 |
[11:15] | Churches and charity use the rooftops to get around the city. | 教会和慈善机构走屋顶在城里走动 |
[11:19] | Then why don’t we knock on some doors and — | 那我们干吗不去挨个找 |
[11:21] | We don’t have time. | 我们没时间 |
[11:23] | We need to narrow down our possibilities quickly. | 我们得尽快缩小可能范围 |
[11:25] | The Feast of St. Barnabas is only eight days away, | 圣巴拿巴盛宴节只有八天就到了 |
[11:27] | and we know he won’t stop killing. | 我们清楚他不会罢手 |
[11:30] | We have until the 11th. | 得在11号之前找到他 |
[11:32] | Then perhaps we should involve the police. | 那我们或许该叫警察帮忙 |
[11:34] | We are the police. | 我们就是警察 |
[12:11] | Why did Japheth Dury change his name to John Beecham | 亚弗·杜里为什么要改叫约翰·比彻姆 |
[12:15] | when the man who violated him was named George Beecham? | 那个侵犯了他的人就叫乔治·比彻姆 |
[12:18] | Why take only his surname? | 为什么只用他的姓氏 |
[12:21] | There could be some twisted logic to it. | 肯定有什么扭曲的逻辑 |
[12:24] | By taking his name or part of it, | 通过用一半他的名字 |
[12:25] | he changes from victim to tormentor. | 他从受害者变成了施虐者 |
[12:27] | And by doing so, assumes the identity of the man who betrayed him | 并以此 占据了那个背叛他的人的身份 |
[12:31] | and in turn betrays boys who trust him. | 从此他也开始背叛信任他的男孩 |
[12:35] | Yes, but why John and not George? | 但为什么叫约翰 不叫乔治 |
[12:38] | We know that John Beecham was released | 我们知道约翰·比彻姆1890年 |
[12:40] | from St. Elizabeth’s hospital in the summer of 1890, | 夏天从圣伊丽莎白医院出院 |
[12:43] | and the murders of the Zweig twins occurred in 1893. | 茨威格双胞胎的案子是1893年 |
[12:47] | If it was the same man, | 如果是同一个人 |
[12:49] | where was he those intervening years? | 他这期间去哪了 |
[12:52] | If I had your name and wanted to know where you lived, | 如果我知道你的名字 想知道你住哪 |
[12:54] | where would I go, Detective Sergeant Isaacson? | 我该去哪找 艾萨克森侦缉警司 |
[12:56] | – Uh, police records. – Let’s say you don’t have a police record. | -警方记录 -假如没有警方记录呢 |
[13:04] | – Official hours are over. – We’re with the police department. | -上班时间已结束 -我们是警察局的 |
[13:08] | Uh, we were wondering | 我们想和 |
[13:09] | if we could have a word with Mr. Charles Murray? | 查尔斯·莫里先生谈一谈 |
[13:11] | And what is the purpose of your inquiry? | 你们找他目的是什么 |
[13:13] | We’d like to check the Census records | 我们想翻阅普查记录 |
[13:14] | for the name of a man we’re trying to find. | 是否有我们要寻找的男人 |
[13:19] | Stop! | 停 |
[13:21] | The Lower East Side wards. | 下东区病院 |
[13:43] | John Beecham. | 约翰·比彻姆 |
[13:45] | 146 Allan Street. | 亚伦街146号 |
[13:49] | Aged 2 years. | 两岁 |
[13:51] | That would make him 8 now. | 今年也就是八岁 |
[14:14] | Nine…eight… | 九 八 |
[14:18] | seven… | 七 |
[14:20] | six… | 六 |
[14:21] | five… | 五 |
[14:23] | four… | 四 |
[14:25] | three… | 三 |
[14:27] | two… | 二 |
[14:29] | one! | 一 |
[15:02] | Perhaps he did change his name. | 也许他改名换姓了 |
[15:05] | Or moved to New York after the Census. | 或是普查过后才搬来纽约的 |
[15:19] | I smell the blood of an Englishman. | 我闻到英国佬的味道 |
[15:26] | I smell the blood of an Englishman. | 我闻到英国佬的味道 |
[15:44] | What is it? | 怎么 |
[15:47] | Look at this. | 你看这个 |
[15:52] | I smell the blood of an Englishman. | 我闻到英国佬的味道 |
[15:59] | I smell the blood of an Englishman. | 我闻到英国佬的味道 |
[16:09] | Look at the bottom of the page. | 你看页面最下面 |
[16:15] | He’s here. He’s real. | 他就在这里 他是真的 |
[16:31] | Hey! You kids can’t be here! | 小孩不准来这 |
[16:44] | I don’t see what business it is of the Commissioner | 我不明白专员为什么要问询 |
[16:46] | to inquire into our employment practices. | 我们雇人的事 |
[16:49] | We’d be happy to explain that to Mr. Murray. | 我会很乐意向莫里先生解释的 |
[16:53] | I am Mr. Murray. | 我就是莫里 |
[16:56] | Mr. Beecham’s brother | 比彻姆先生的兄弟 |
[16:58] | may be involved in a land speculation scandal. | 卷入了一起土地投机丑闻 |
[17:01] | The Commissioner thought that John | 专员认为约翰 |
[17:03] | might be able to help us locate him. | 或许能协助我们找到他 |
[17:06] | Mm. I hired Beecham as an enumerator — | 比彻姆是我雇用的普查员 |
[17:08] | the men who did the counting | 负责人口的 |
[17:09] | and the interviewing for the Census — | 统计与访问 |
[17:12] | in the spring of ’90. | 1890年春季入职 |
[17:14] | I hired 900 such men. | 我一共雇用了九百名普查员 |
[17:16] | 900, and you still remember him? | 九百名 而你还记得他 |
[17:17] | I remember all the men who work for me. | 我记得我所有的员工 |
[17:19] | And he was particularly hard to forget. | 而且他令人印象深刻 |
[17:23] | He had a…rather unfortunate appearance. | 他的外貌…十分不幸 |
[17:27] | I was concerned that people would be unwilling | 我当时担心人们会拒绝 |
[17:28] | to allow him into their homes. | 让他进屋 |
[17:30] | You mean he had a disfigurement? | 你指他面容有缺陷 |
[17:32] | A facial spasm of some kind. | 面部似乎有些痉挛 |
[17:35] | I’m not a doctor. | 我也不是医生 |
[17:36] | – But you hired him anyway? – He was a decent fellow. | -但你仍然雇用他 -他为人还不错 |
[17:38] | Polite. Religious. Scrupulous. | 彬彬有礼 信仰虔诚 小心谨慎 |
[17:42] | Personally, I never gave much credence to the allegations. | 我个人从来不太相信那些指控 |
[17:45] | What allegations? | 什么指控 |
[17:48] | I had to fire him | 某个犹太家庭 |
[17:49] | after a complaint from a Jewish family. | 投诉他之后 我不得不解雇他 |
[17:51] | They claimed he had been visiting their daughter | 他们声称 他几次在非普查时间 |
[17:54] | on several occasions when he wasn’t scheduled for an interview. | 擅自探访他们的女儿 |
[17:58] | How old was their daughter? | 他们女儿当年几岁 |
[17:59] | 12 at the time, but I’m sure you appreciate it | 当时十二岁 但你们也知道 |
[18:02] | that girls of that age have vivid imaginations… | 那年龄的女孩想象力特别丰富 |
[18:07] | And people of the Hebrew faith even more so. | 信奉犹太教的人更是喜欢异想天开 |
[18:12] | You haven’t, by any chance, kept his employment records? | 他的聘用记录 你还保存着吗 |
[18:17] | We’re the Census Department. We keep everything. | 这里是人口普查局 我们保存所有记录 |
[18:45] | They seem similar. | 看起来差不多 |
[18:47] | And this over here, near the top of the page? | 这上面 靠近页眉的位置 |
[18:50] | That’s his address, of course. | 那当然是他的地址了 |
[18:56] | 姓名 约翰·比彻姆 地址 银行大街23号 出生日期 1865年11月19日 出生地 新帕尔茨 | |
[20:19] | 布鲁巴奇音乐厅 特别奉献 4月23日 | |
[20:31] | This is the address that he gave. | 这是他写的地址 |
[20:32] | 23 Bank Street. | 银行大街23号 |
[20:42] | I’d feel much safer if there were a couple of roundsmen present. | 如果有巡警在场的话我会更安心点 |
[20:46] | Not after they shot you in the back. | 他们在背后朝你开枪你就不这样想了 |
[22:19] | Hello? | 有人吗 |
[22:22] | I’m sorry, dear. I frightened ya. | 抱歉 亲爱的 我吓到你们了 |
[22:25] | We apologize. The door was unlocked. | 是我们冒失 门没锁 |
[22:28] | Oh! Silly me. Are you inquiring about the room? | 我这臭脑袋 你们是来看房子的吗 |
[22:32] | Yes. Our friends are looking for lodgings. | 是的 我们的朋友在找出租屋 |
[22:35] | They’ve gone upstairs. | 他们已经上去了 |
[22:39] | I’m afraid I only have the one room available right now. | 恐怕我只有一间空房了 |
[22:42] | – Have you any other lodgers? – Just the kitties, for now. | -你还有其他的房客吗 -目前就剩小猫了 |
[22:46] | An acquaintance of mine, John Beecham, | 我认识的一个人 约翰·比彻姆 |
[22:49] | gave me your address, ma’am. | 给了我你的地址 女士 |
[22:51] | Ah, dear Mr. Beecham. Not a friend of the kitties. | 亲爱的比彻姆先生 对小猫倒是不太友好 |
[22:55] | Yet he spoke so highly of you. | 他对你赞不绝口 |
[22:58] | I believe he was with you for some time? | 我相信他在你这住了一段时间吧 |
[23:00] | Almost six years. | 差不多六年 |
[23:02] | He left last Christmas, after he lost his job, poor man. | 上个圣诞节 就是在他失业之后走的 可怜的人 |
[23:06] | I remember it was the same day that Jib ran away. | 我记得跟吉布走丢是同一天 |
[23:10] | – Jib? – My tabby. | -吉布 -我的小斑猫 |
[23:13] | He never told me he lost his job. | 他没跟我说过失业的事 |
[23:15] | Was that at the Census Bureau? | 是人口普查局吗 |
[23:17] | Oh, no. He was a charity worker. | 不是 他是个慈善工作者 |
[23:20] | What kind of an employer | 在圣诞节解雇 |
[23:22] | dismisses a charity worker at Christmas? | 慈善工作者算哪门子雇主 |
[23:25] | And is it his room you’re letting out? | 你出租的是他的房间吗 |
[23:27] | I haven’t had any lodgers since he left. | 他走之后我就没有过房客 |
[23:30] | It’s a cozy little room. | 那是个舒适的小房间 |
[23:33] | Take a look for yourself. Just along the corridor. | 随意看吧 走廊过去就是 |
[23:40] | Something died. | 什么东西死了 |
[24:37] | Evening, Miss Howard. | 晚上好 霍华德小姐 |
[24:38] | – What do you want? – Ah, nothing much. | -你想干什么 -没什么 |
[24:41] | Now that I’m no longer gainfully employed, sure, | 既然我都已经没有工作了 |
[24:45] | the world’s my oyster. | 全世界对我都没有约束 |
[24:48] | May I walk you home? | 我能送你回家吗 |
[24:49] | You may not. If you idle here a moment longer, | 不用 你要是再在这里闲逛 |
[24:53] | I shall alert one of your former colleagues. | 我就通知你的前任同事了 |
[24:55] | Oh. Well, good luck finding one at this time of night. | 祝你在大晚上这个时间能找到一个 |
[25:07] | Still trying to be a detective, are you, Miss Howard? | 还想当警探呢 霍华德小姐 |
[25:12] | Get out of my way. | 别挡我的路 |
[25:14] | You don’t want me to see you home, | 不想让我送你回家的话 |
[25:16] | well, you best be careful is all. | 那你最好自己小心点 |
[25:18] | All it takes is for someone to come up behind you, | 只要有人从后面跟上你 |
[25:21] | clasp a hand around your mouth, and force you to your knees, | 一手掐住你的脖子 逼你跪下来 |
[25:24] | and you’ll never know who it was put it inside you. | 你都不知道是谁强奸了你 |
[26:07] | No. | 不 |
[26:10] | Don’t worry, girls. He’s with me. | 不麻烦了 姑娘们 他是找我的 |
[26:16] | Keep an eye out, Maxie. We won’t be long. | 看着点 马克西 我们用不了多久 |
[26:23] | What are you doing out on the street? | 你在街上干什么 |
[26:25] | The cops threw us out. | 警察把我们赶出来了 |
[26:27] | Where else we got to go? | 我们还能去哪儿 |
[26:29] | You find a room in a rescue society. | 到救助会找个房间 |
[26:32] | And if they don’t take you, you go to a boarding house. | 他们要是不收留你 你就找个寄宿屋 |
[26:36] | Here. | 拿着 |
[26:42] | There’s enough money there. | 这些钱够用了 |
[26:43] | If you need any more, you just ask. | 要是还需要 找我就行 |
[26:45] | I don’t want you working or living on the street. | 我不想让你在街上过活 |
[26:48] | Understand? | 明白吗 |
[26:54] | You sure what you told me | 你确定你跟我说的 |
[26:55] | about the the man you’re looking for is right? | 就是你们要找的那个人吗 |
[26:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:01] | It’s just, a friend of mine met someone | 我有一个朋友遇到了一个人 |
[27:04] | who promised to take him away to live with him. | 答应带他走跟他一起生活 |
[27:08] | What of his face? | 他的脸有特征吗 |
[27:09] | He didn’t say there was anything wrong with his face. | 他没说那人的脸有什么不对劲的 |
[27:12] | I asked. | 我问过了 |
[27:30] | What if I were the killer? | 如果我就是凶手呢 |
[27:34] | Yeah, no offense, Mr. Moore, | 没别的意思 摩尔先生 |
[27:35] | but there’s more chance of pigs flying. | 但是我宁愿相信猪会飞 |
[27:41] | Well, I ask because the man we’re looking for | 我这样问是因为我们要找的人 |
[27:45] | may not be a client. | 可能并不是你们的客人 |
[27:47] | He might have a job that allows him | 他的工作可能能让他 |
[27:48] | to get close to you boys and win your trust. | 接近你们 赢得你们的信任 |
[27:52] | A charity worker, for example. | 比如说是一名慈善工作者 |
[27:54] | Yeah, I wouldn’t trust those sons of bitches | 我才不会信任那些混蛋 |
[27:56] | as far as I could kick ’em. | 只会踢他们 |
[27:58] | They just pretend to care so they can cop a feel. | 他们只是假装关心 其实只是想来占点便宜 |
[28:02] | A preacher then, or — or a medical worker? | 那牧师呢 或者医护工作者 |
[28:05] | Did Fatima ever mention to you | 法蒂玛有没有告诉过你 |
[28:08] | what his saint did for a living? | 他的圣人是做什么的 |
[28:12] | Can you think of any reason why he would’ve trusted him? | 你觉得他到底为什么会相信他 |
[28:16] | All he said was the man was nothing like his father, | 他只说那个人和他的爸爸完全不一样 |
[28:19] | that he hated his father more than anything in the world. | 他最恨的就是他爸爸 |
[28:55] | How am I supposed to keep goin’ with that din? | 这么吵还哪有心思继续下去 |
[28:58] | It’s all that whisky you been drinkin’. | 都是因为你喝的那些酒 |
[29:00] | Don’t you blame my Nievie. | 不许怪我的妮维 |
[29:01] | Gosh damn you, woman. And your Nievie! | 该死的女人 还有你的妮维 |
[29:33] | Cyrus? | 塞拉斯 |
[29:38] | Cyrus? | 塞拉斯 |
[29:41] | You called, sir? | 什么吩咐 先生 |
[29:42] | For Cyrus. Where is he? | 我叫塞拉斯 他在哪里 |
[30:48] | Jesus Christ! | 上帝啊 |
[30:50] | Scared me. | 吓我一跳 |
[30:52] | – What are you doin’ out here? – Same as you. | -你来这里干什么 -和你一样 |
[30:55] | Ah. Go on, then, if you can find the wee thing. | 那去吧 如果你找得到你的小丁丁 |
[31:00] | Fat bastard. | 死胖子 |
[32:04] | Broyt is “Bread” In English. | 英文中这念面包 |
[32:08] | Lena, repeat after me, | 莱娜 跟我念 |
[32:11] | “The bread is stale.” | 面包都不新鲜了 |
[32:13] | Ze bruht ist stehl. | 面包都不新鲜了 |
[32:23] | Yes, I remember him. | 是的 我记得他 |
[32:26] | Your parents filed a complaint. May I ask what you told them? | 你父母报案了 你能说说你怎么告诉他们的吗 |
[32:29] | Only that he was my friend. | 只说了他是我朋友 |
[32:31] | What exactly do you mean by “Friend”? | “朋友”是什么意思 |
[32:34] | I mean friend. | 意思就是朋友 |
[32:36] | I teach English. I know what the word means. | 我教英语 我知道这是什么意思 |
[32:40] | I’m sorry we have to ask, but did he lay hands on you? | 抱歉 我们必须要问你 他有没有碰过你 |
[32:43] | Not once. I made that clear to my parents, | 一次都没有 我和我父母都说得很清楚 |
[32:45] | but they filed the complaint about him anyway. | 但他们还是报了案 |
[32:48] | When you were together, what did you talk about? | 你们一起的时候都聊些什么 |
[32:53] | How much I hated my parents. | 聊我有多恨我父母 |
[32:56] | Then all these years later, why do you think | 作为一名成年人 你现在觉得为什么 |
[32:58] | a grown man would befriend a 12-year-old girl? | 一个成年男性会和一名12岁的女孩做朋友 |
[33:02] | I think he wanted someone to talk to. | 我觉得他是想找人说说话 |
[33:06] | I don’t think he had many friends. | 我觉得他没什么朋友 |
[33:27] | Hello. My name is Detective Sergeant Lucius Isaacson. | 你好 我是侦缉警司卢修斯·艾萨克森 |
[33:39] | – George Beecham. Do you recognize his face? – No. | -乔治·比彻姆 你认识他吗 -不 |
[33:59] | Hey, boys. Boys. | 孩子们 孩子们 |
[34:02] | Have you seen this man? | 你们见过这个人吗 |
[34:03] | – No. – No, I haven’t. | -不 -不 没见过 |
[35:14] | 《纽约时报》 六月十日 | |
[35:22] | The Feast of St. Barnabas. | 圣巴拿巴盛宴节 |
[35:24] | Do you think it has meaning for him? | 你觉得这对他来说有什么意义吗 |
[35:27] | Everything has meaning for him. | 所有事对他来说都有意义 |
[35:31] | Whatever he does, | 他做的任何事 |
[35:33] | it allows him to befriend these boys. | 都让他和这些男孩们更加亲近 |
[35:35] | The teacher we questioned, Ellie Leshka, | 我们找过的那名教师 艾莉·莱西卡 |
[35:37] | used the word “Friend” about him several times. | 好几次对他用了”朋友”这个词 |
[35:39] | And we should keep talking to charity organizations | 我们应该继续找慈善机构 |
[35:42] | and church volunteers. | 和教堂志愿者 |
[35:46] | Boys like these must have nothing but contempt | 这些男孩对慈善工作者只会 |
[35:48] | for charity workers. | 抱鄙夷的态度 |
[35:50] | As a Census worker, Beecham would most probably | 作为人口调查员 比彻姆很可能 |
[35:52] | have dealt with their parents. | 和他们父母打过交道 |
[35:56] | He hated his father more than anything in the world. | 他最讨厌的就是他的父亲 |
[36:00] | That’s what Joseph said about Ali ibn-Ghazi. | 约瑟夫说阿里·伊本·加齐是这样的 |
[36:04] | He hated his father more than anything in the world, | 他最讨厌的就是他的父亲 |
[36:08] | and Ellie Leshka said something similar, no? | 艾莉·莱西卡也说过这样的话 对吧 |
[36:11] | “How much I hate my parents.” | “我有多恨我的父母” |
[36:13] | And Giorgio Santorelli was beaten. | 而乔治奥·圣雷利遭到毒打 |
[36:19] | Think of it. | 好好想想 |
[36:21] | It’s like he can read their minds. | 他好像能看透他们 |
[36:23] | He knows all about them — | 他很了解他们 |
[36:25] | their wretched childhoods, the beatings, the poverty. | 他们扭曲的童年 毒打 贫穷 |
[36:29] | Everything he says chimes with them. | 他所说的一切和他们都有共鸣 |
[36:33] | He understands them. That’s why they trust him. | 他理解他们 所以他们相信他 |
[36:39] | What else do we know about Ali’s father | 我们对于阿里的父亲还有什么了解 |
[36:41] | other than the fact that his son hated him? | 除了他儿子恨他 |
[36:50] | Joseph told me Fatima’s father was a gambler. | 约瑟夫告诉我法蒂玛的父亲是个赌棍 |
[36:54] | Giorgio’s brother said the same thing. | 乔治奥的哥哥也这么说 |
[36:57] | Mr. Santorelli owed money. | 圣雷利先生欠了不少钱 |
[37:12] | Mr. Ibn-Ghazi was in debt to you? | 伊本·加齐先生欠你钱吗 |
[37:14] | He was in debt to the people I work for. | 他欠我的雇主钱 |
[37:16] | I collect for everybody in the neighborhood. | 我专门在这附近收债 |
[37:19] | – Or my guys do. – Your guys? | -或者交给我的人 -你的人 |
[37:22] | I’m a little too old to be knocking down doors myself. | 我太老了 踹不动门了 |
[37:26] | Ibn… whatever-his-name | 伊本…不管他叫什么 |
[37:28] | was a testy son of a bitch. | 是个暴躁的混蛋 |
[37:30] | The first man I sent ’round came back with a broken nose, | 我派去的第一个人被打折了鼻子 |
[37:32] | so I had to send a bigger fella. | 所以我只能再派个大块头去 |
[37:34] | – Do you have his name? – The people who work for me | -你知道他的名字吗 -为我干活的人 |
[37:35] | don’t volunteer their names, so I don’t ask. | 不会自报姓名 我也不会问 |
[37:38] | – Maybe you should start. – You know, you don’t look like a cop. | -也许你该开始问问 -你看上去不像个警察 |
[37:40] | Yes, I’ve heard that. | 是的 很多人这么说 |
[37:42] | John something-or-other. | 叫约翰什么的 |
[37:46] | Had something wrong with his… | 他的脸有点… |
[37:49] | Do you know where he lives? | 你知道他住在哪里吗 |
[37:50] | That I don’t know, | 那我不知道 |
[37:52] | but I can tell you where he’s likely to be. | 但我可以告诉你他可能去哪里 |
[37:56] | Lucius, you and Miss Howard stay here, | 卢修斯 你和霍华德小姐待在这里 |
[37:57] | keep watch. | 看好风 |
[38:33] | Don’t want the drinks? | 不要喝的吗 |
[38:35] | Information about a customer. | 要一名客人的信息 |
[38:37] | Get out. | 滚出去 |
[38:47] | John Beecham. | 约翰·比彻姆 |
[38:52] | Tall fella. Facial tic. | 大个子 脸会抽动 |
[38:59] | End of the street. | 住在街尾 |
[39:01] | 3-story house, second floor. | 三层楼房 二楼 |
[39:04] | You heard nothin’ from me. | 我什么都没说过 |
[39:10] | That’s no man to cross. | 他不好对付 |
[40:05] | Jump in the water and scram. | 洗一洗准备走了 |
[40:08] | We’re about to close. | 我们要关门了 |
[40:15] | You coming in? | 你走吗 |
[40:17] | You go ahead. I’m gonna get changed. | 你去吧 我换个衣服 |
[41:27] | Time to go home, boys! This way! | 该回家了 孩子们 这边 |
[41:34] | Is he lookin’? | 他在看吗 |
[41:36] | No. Why? | 没有 怎么了 |
[41:38] | I’m meetin’ someone. I’ll s-see ya later. | 我约了人 等会见 |
[41:53] | Giorgio. | 乔治奥 |
[41:58] | Ali. | 阿里 |
[42:02] | Ernst Lohmann. | 恩斯特·罗曼 |
[42:06] | Today. | 今天 |
[42:08] | We may be too late. | 我们也许来晚了 |
[42:17] | Beers and smokes are on me, boys. | 酒和烟算我的 孩子们 |
[42:26] | Maxie, you son of a bitch! | 马克西 你这个混蛋 |
[42:38] | What was the line in the letter about Giorgio? | 那信里怎么说乔治奥的 |
[42:43] | “It fed me for a week.” | “吃了一个礼拜” |
[43:51] | Is that you? | 是你吗 |
[44:07] | His father’s pictures. | 他父亲的照片 |
[44:57] | John. | 约翰 |
[45:03] | What is it? | 这是什么 |
[45:05] | It’s a heart. | 这是一颗心 |
[45:31] | How many have there been? | 他到底杀了多少人 |