时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | I’m Dr. Jason Bull. I’m not a lawyer. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 我不是律师 |
[00:06] | I’m an expert in what’s called trial science. | 我是人们口中的庭审科学专家 |
[00:10] | I study the jury’s behavioral patterns. | 专门研究陪审团的行为模式 |
[00:13] | I know what they’re thinking before they do. | 预测他们的想法 |
[00:17] | Everything my team learns | 我的团队搜集各种资料 |
[00:19] | gets plugged into a matrix, | 并输入程序 |
[00:21] | which allows us to assemble a mirror jury | 并由此组建起一个模拟陪审团 |
[00:24] | that is scary in its predictive efficiency. | 其预测率准得惊人 |
[00:29] | The verdict you get depends on me. | 判决结果掌握在我的手里 |
[00:32] | And that’s no bull. | 这可不是吹牛 |
[00:50] | Are you crazy? | 你疯了吗 |
[00:52] | Do you want him to be made fun of for the rest of his life? | 你想让他一辈子都被别人嘲笑吗 |
[00:55] | – This is your son! – Karen! | – 这可是你儿子 – 凯伦 |
[00:58] | Excuse me. | 失陪 |
[00:59] | I don’t want to talk about this. | 我不想谈这事 |
[01:01] | This is the 30th time we’ve talked about this. | 这事我们都讨论三十次了 |
[01:05] | John… Stop. | 约翰… 别这样 |
[01:06] | I’m defending my son. | 我这是在保护他 |
[01:07] | Stop what? | 别哪样 |
[01:09] | Listen to me, this is your son! | 听着 这可是你儿子 |
[01:14] | Did you see the way that guy’s treating him? | 你看那破教练是怎么对他的 |
[01:21] | Karen. | 凯伦 |
[01:23] | Karen! | 凯伦 |
[01:24] | Oh, God. Karen! | 天呐 凯伦 |
[01:27] | Karen! | 凯伦 |
[01:34] | Oh, God, my wife! | 天呐 我老婆 |
[01:36] | My wife, she needs help! | 我老婆 受伤了 |
[01:39] | My God. | 天呐 |
[01:41] | Oh, my God. Call 911. | 天呐 快报警 |
[01:43] | Call 911. | 报警 |
[01:45] | Call 911! | 快报警 |
[01:50] | …the prosecution has attempted to throw roadblocks | 检方每轮都对我的委托人 |
[01:52] | in front of my client | 设下陷阱 |
[01:53] | at every turn, in an outrageous attempt… | 蛮横无理地企图… |
[01:55] | Ah, Judge Lamkin. | 拉姆金法官 |
[01:57] | Can almost make civil court tolerable. | 就是民事法庭里一道亮丽的风景线 |
[01:59] | That’s three days in a row | 这三天以来 每到三点半 |
[02:01] | her eyes fluttered at 3:30, | 她的眼神就略显困倦 |
[02:02] | only to perk up again after her 4:00 p.m. tea. | 四点喝过下午茶后 她才能恢复元气 |
[02:04] | You don’t know that’s tea. | 你怎么知道是茶 |
[02:07] | Either way, we need to see our best witnesses in the morning. | 反正我们必须在早上传召最有利的证人 |
[02:10] | And it’s tea. | 我就是知道 |
[02:12] | Lamkin only has one drink a day, | 拉姆金每天只喝一杯酒 |
[02:14] | after dinner, single-malt scotch. | 晚餐后 来一杯单一麦芽苏格兰威士忌 |
[02:16] | And you know that how, exactly? | 你究竟是怎么知道这事的 |
[02:20] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[02:21] | The prosecution’s witness | 检方的证人 |
[02:22] | had a change in schedule. | 临时有事 无法出庭 |
[02:24] | We will resume Wednesday. | 我们周三再审 |
[02:26] | Your Honor, the prosecution knew | 法官大人 检方明知 |
[02:28] | the officer’s patrol shifted. | 狱警交班了 |
[02:30] | This means four more days in jail. | 这意味着我的委托人还要在监狱多待四天 |
[02:31] | Mr. Foster, you’ve made this argument three times, | 福斯特先生 你已经就这点 |
[02:34] | three different ways now. | 跟我变着花样强调三次了 |
[02:35] | Wednesday stands. | 周三再审 |
[02:37] | It’s just a shame the way they throw | 将公设律师如此送入虎口 |
[02:38] | these public defenders to the wolves. | 这帮人真是恬不知耻 |
[02:40] | Uh, Mr. Public Defender… | 公设辩护律师先生… |
[02:43] | In this county, lawyers sit on the right. | 在这个县 律师坐在右边 |
[02:45] | Watch it, Bull. | 注意点 布尔 |
[02:46] | Sorry, Your Honor. | 抱歉 法官大人 |
[02:56] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[02:58] | Oh, I’m gonna go get the car. | 我去取车 |
[03:00] | Judge Lamkin, always a pleasure. | 拉姆金法官 很高兴见到你 |
[03:02] | And that is a new robe… Rag & Bone? | 新法袍 瑞格布恩牌的吗 |
[03:06] | How would you like to do me a favor? | 你能帮我个忙吗 |
[03:09] | A case in Judge Bergen’s court. | 是卑尔根法官审理的一个案子 |
[03:11] | I was hoping it would be a little more interesting, | 我还以为会是更有趣的事 |
[03:13] | but go on. | 不过请继续 |
[03:14] | Some poor guy was in a car accident, and his wife was killed. | 有个可怜男人遭遇了车祸 他的妻子因此身亡 |
[03:17] | The DA’s going after him for vehicular manslaughter. | 地检官以交通肇事罪起诉了他 |
[03:20] | – And you’d throw out the case. – I would. | – 如果是你 肯定驳回此案 – 对 |
[03:22] | Bergen’s not so forgiving. | 但卑尔根可没这么仁慈 |
[03:23] | I thought you and your team could | 我想让你和你的团队 |
[03:25] | jump on board, at least make it a fair fight. | 来助他一臂之力 最起码让他不那么势单力薄 |
[03:27] | Well, Judge, you know my plate is very full. | 法官大人 你知道我很忙的 |
[03:30] | I have a trial coming up in your court. | 我手上可有一个你审理的案子 |
[03:31] | I could always postpone it. | 我可以将其延迟 |
[03:33] | And suddenly my plate is empty. | 那我就有空了 |
[03:36] | Do we have a lawyer? | 有律师吗 |
[03:37] | Can’t afford one. | 请不起律师 |
[03:38] | So it’s whoever draws the long straw at Legal Aid. | 但愿法律援助机构能派个好律师吧 |
[03:42] | What about that guy? | 那个男人如何 |
[03:45] | I think he was sworn in at the bar | 他似乎是今早出庭前 |
[03:46] | on his way to court this morning. | 刚当上律师 |
[03:48] | Perfect. | 完美 |
[03:50] | I love a fresh lump of clay. | 我喜欢璞玉 |
[03:52] | And what, you’re Michelangelo? | 怎么 你是米开朗基罗吗 |
[03:53] | Michelangelo’s David | 米开朗基罗的大卫像 |
[03:56] | was chiseled from a very large, | 就是用一块不完美的 |
[03:59] | imperfect block of marble | 其他艺术家看不上眼的大理石 |
[04:00] | other artisans wouldn’t touch. | 雕琢而成 |
[04:02] | I look forward to your masterpiece. | 期待你的大作 |
[04:11] | John and Karen Phillips. | 约翰和凯伦·菲利普斯 |
[04:13] | Married ten years, one son, Carter. | 结婚十年 膝下有一子 卡特 |
[04:17] | Luckily, Carter was not in the car at the time of the crash. | 幸运的是 车祸时卡特并不在车上 |
[04:20] | God. How fast was he going? | 天呐 他究竟开得多快 |
[04:22] | 11 miles an hour over the speed limit. | 时速十一英里 超过限速 |
[04:23] | That doesn’t sound reckless. | 听起来似乎没有那么莽撞 |
[04:25] | Well, I never speed. | 我从不飙车 |
[04:26] | It’s called taking the subway. | 我只坐地铁 |
[04:28] | The police report says there was a sign | 警方报告称路上有一个警告牌 |
[04:30] | warning cars to slow down, and he’d had a drink | 提示司机们要减速 而且他之前烧烤时 |
[04:32] | at a barbecue beforehand. | 还喝酒了 |
[04:34] | Blood alcohol? | 血液酒精含量多少 |
[04:35] | 0.04… one beer. | 0.04… 就喝了一瓶啤酒 |
[04:37] | Below the legal limit. | 在法律规定以下 |
[04:39] | To prosecute for vehicular manslaughter, | 想使交通肇事罪成立 |
[04:41] | they’d have to prove that John purposely drove | 他们必须证明约翰故意 |
[04:43] | in an agitated state. | 在精神不集中的情况下驾驶 |
[04:45] | I don’t get it. | 我不明白 |
[04:46] | What’s their case? | 他们有何证据 |
[04:48] | Exactly. How often | 正是 |
[04:50] | does the DA push for manslaughter | 地检官因一起交通事故 |
[04:51] | on a traffic accident? | 而提出过失杀人的几率有多大 |
[04:53] | Less than five percent of the time. | 低于百分之五 |
[04:55] | This is the question. | 问题是 |
[04:56] | What is motivating the DA to prosecute? | 地检官提起诉讼的目的何在 |
[04:59] | I’m on it. | 我去查 |
[05:01] | I’m tempted to hack | 我打算入侵 |
[05:02] | into the DA’s private server and then… just give me an hour | 地检院的专用服务器 给我一小时 |
[05:05] | and an iced quad espresso | 和一杯冰镇的四倍浓缩咖啡 |
[05:07] | and I’ll have something, okay? | 我就能查清原因 |
[05:09] | I never know whether to be scared or impressed. | 我真是不知道该怕她还是该佩服她 |
[05:12] | First instinct’s usually the best. | 那就相信直觉吧 |
[05:14] | Baseball dad, devoted husband. | 顾家的父亲 专一的丈夫 |
[05:19] | Worked double shifts as an HVAC installer, | 一名两班倒的暖通空调安装工人 |
[05:21] | just to take his family | 不过是带着全家去康尼岛 |
[05:23] | to Coney Island once a year. | 享受一年一次的度假 |
[05:24] | And then tragedy took all that away. | 一场悲剧夺走了一切 |
[05:27] | John and Karen | 约翰和凯伦 |
[05:29] | were driving home from a team barbecue one day, and… | 在球队烧烤会结束后 开车回家 然而 |
[05:32] | But thank God | 万幸的是 |
[05:33] | their son Carter had stayed behind with friends. | 他们的儿子卡特和朋友一起留了下来 |
[05:37] | They rounded a bend… | 他们过了一个弯道… |
[05:38] | Must be hard to hear. | 听到这些 你肯定很难过 |
[05:40] | Well, it was harder losing Karen. | 失去凯伦更难过 |
[05:42] | I don’t understand what this is. | 我不明白这是什么 |
[05:44] | This is all part of trial science. | 庭审科学的一部分 |
[05:46] | We test out your case. | 我们模拟检测你的案子 |
[05:48] | Find the right strategy, narrative. | 找出合适的策略和叙事技巧 |
[05:50] | My attorney isn’t even here. | 我的辩护律师都不在这里 |
[05:52] | Legal Aid lawyers often have | 法律援助律师通常要 |
[05:53] | 30 to 40 active cases. | 同时处理三十到四十个案件 |
[05:55] | He doesn’t need to be here. | 他不必来这里 |
[05:57] | This is so surreal. | 这一切太荒诞了 |
[06:00] | I lost my wife in a car accident | 我在车祸中失去了妻子 |
[06:02] | and they think I’m a killer? | 他们居然认为我是凶手 |
[06:03] | Karen was everything to me. | 凯伦就是我的一切 |
[06:05] | If I go to jail, | 如果我坐牢 |
[06:07] | my son ends up in foster care. | 我儿子最终要接受寄养的 |
[06:09] | We’re not gonna let that happen. | 我们不会让这种事情发生的 |
[06:11] | This is a process. | 这是一个过程 |
[06:13] | And it works. | 可行的过程 |
[06:14] | Come on. | 来 |
[06:17] | Pretty sophisticated equipment. | 相当精密的设备 |
[06:20] | Not cheap, either. | 价格也不便宜 |
[06:22] | Why are you doing this for me? | 你们为什么要帮我 |
[06:24] | Well, it isn’t charity. | 这可不是做慈善 |
[06:25] | You’re getting me on the good side of a judge | 你给了我机会去讨好一个法官 |
[06:27] | who’s presiding over a very lucrative suit next month. | 她下个月将主持一起能让我赚大钱的诉讼 |
[06:29] | And I’m not giving you any of my share. | 我可不会给你分一杯羹 |
[06:32] | More importantly, we don’t believe | 更重要的是 我们不支持 |
[06:33] | in letting people go to jail for an accident. | 因为一起意外就把人送进监狱 |
[06:36] | Everyone has their reasons. | 每个人都有理由 |
[06:37] | Dad? | 爸爸 |
[06:40] | Hey, buddy. | 你好 小伙子 |
[06:42] | Listen, I’m a little short on cash. | 我现在有点缺钱 |
[06:45] | Can I settle up with you next week? | 下个星期我再把钱给你 好吗 |
[06:46] | No problem. I’ll see you Monday. | 没问题 周一见 |
[06:47] | Bye, Carter. | 再见 卡特 |
[06:48] | How was school? | 在学校还好吧 |
[06:50] | Okay. | 不错 |
[06:51] | So… | 那么… |
[06:53] | Brought your lawyer, huh? | 把律师也带来了 |
[06:54] | I’m not a lawyer. | 我不是律师 |
[06:55] | Yeah, that’s right. | 的确 |
[06:57] | You’re probably too smart to be a lawyer. | 你这么聪明 不可能是律师 |
[06:58] | Hey. Don’t bias a nine-year-old. | 别误导一个九岁的孩子 |
[07:00] | I’m still eight. | 我才八岁 |
[07:01] | In five months and six days, I’ll be nine. | 再过五个月又六天 我就九岁了 |
[07:03] | All right. See you soon, Dr. Bull. | 好吧 再见 布尔博士 |
[07:05] | Carter, it’s time to go. | 卡特 该走了 |
[07:07] | We have to get to your class. | 你还要去上课呢 |
[07:09] | Nice to meet you, Carter. | 很高兴认识你 卡特 |
[07:16] | Cable. You said you found something? | 凯博 你说找到了一些东西 |
[07:18] | I found a troll. | 我找到了一个喷子 |
[07:19] | You and I have very different definitions of “Something.” | 你我对”东西”的定义不同啊 |
[07:22] | This guy is on the Internet defending John, | 这个人在网上为约翰辩解 |
[07:25] | saying there’s more to this story. | 说事情没有那么简单 |
[07:27] | How would he know? | 他怎么知道 |
[07:28] | Well, that’s why I started chatting with him. | 所以我跟他聊了 |
[07:30] | He’s pointing a finger at this guy named Trevor Dormit. | 他把矛头指向一个叫特雷弗·多姆特的家伙 |
[07:32] | The state assemblyman. | 本州的众议员 |
[07:33] | I asked him what Dormit had to do with the crash | 我问他多姆特和这次车祸的联系 |
[07:35] | and he’s being pretty evasive. | 他就闪烁其词 |
[07:37] | Is Dormit on the witness list? | 多姆特在证人名单上吗 |
[07:38] | No. | 没有 |
[07:39] | All right. | 好吧 |
[07:41] | Maybe he should be. | 也许他应该在名单上 |
[07:42] | Print out everything you have on him. | 把你掌握的资料都打印出来 |
[07:44] | Like on paper? | 印在纸上 |
[07:45] | No. Banana leaves. | 不 在香蕉叶上 |
[07:46] | Yes, on paper. | 没错 印在纸上 |
[07:47] | Doing this old school. | 老派做法 |
[07:49] | Gonna need the visual. | 总要些看得见的东西 |
[07:51] | Line drive to left, | 往左的平直球 |
[07:53] | – and that’s a drive and a run. – Come on. | – 这是一个长球 投手失分 – 加油啊 |
[07:57] | Assemblyman Dormit. | 多姆特众议员 |
[07:58] | I’m Dr. Jason Bull. I’m sorry, | 我是杰森·布尔博士 不好意思 |
[08:01] | there was nobody outside there. | 你的接待员不在 |
[08:02] | Marcy will be back in a minute; she’ll be able to help you. | 马尔西很快就回来的 她可以帮到你 |
[08:05] | This will just take a moment. | 我就耽误你一会儿 |
[08:06] | Um, a friend of mine is on trial for manslaughter. | 我的一个朋友正在接受审判 罪名是过失杀人 |
[08:10] | This office could look into that, | 我们可以进行调查 |
[08:11] | but really that is an issue for the DA. | 但这是地方检察官的事 |
[08:14] | No. I know, that’s why I’m here. | 我知道 所以我才来这 |
[08:15] | Because I read all these online posts, | 我看了所有的这些网络帖子 |
[08:16] | and it seems you’re involved in the case against John Phillips? | 似乎你和约翰·菲利普斯的案子有某种关联 |
[08:19] | I don’t know who that is. | 我不知道那人是谁 |
[08:20] | Well, that’s the guy who was in | 他就是这起悲惨意外的主角 |
[08:22] | this tragic accident and he lost his wife. | 他因此失去了妻子 |
[08:24] | Oh. The maniac drunk driver. | 那个酒后驾车的疯子司机 |
[08:26] | – And you were there. – Yeah. | – 你当时在场 – 是的 |
[08:30] | Just a few cars back. | 在肇事车后面 就隔了几辆车 |
[08:32] | Thank God I wasn’t any closer, | 感谢上帝 我离的远 |
[08:34] | or I might not be here today. | 否则我今天就不在这里了 |
[08:36] | Well, I don’t know if you realize John was driving home | 你是否知道 约翰开车回家前 |
[08:40] | from his eight-year-old son’s baseball game. | 看了他八岁的儿子的棒球比赛 |
[08:43] | A lot of criminals are fathers, sadly. | 很多罪犯都是父亲 这很悲哀 |
[08:45] | Well, he’s… | 他… |
[08:46] | not a drunk driver. | 不是酒后驾车 |
[08:47] | Not a maniac, certainly, not a criminal at all. | 当然也不是疯子 更加不是一名罪犯 |
[08:49] | He’s just a single father now. | 如今他只是一名单亲爸爸 |
[08:51] | He’s lost his wife. | 他失去了妻子 |
[08:55] | You can leave your information with Marcy. | 你可以把这些资料留给马尔西 |
[08:59] | Okay. Sorry. | 好吧 打扰了 |
[09:00] | One… one last question. | 最后一个问题 |
[09:01] | Are you the chief sponsor | 你是拿骚县道路改造法案的 |
[09:04] | of the road improvement bill for Nassau County? | 主要发起人吗 |
[09:07] | Because it seems | 因为 似乎通过将 |
[09:08] | that you stand to benefit greatly | 约翰的事故定性为犯罪行为 |
[09:09] | from characterizing John’s accident as a criminal act. | 你能从中获得巨大的好处 |
[09:12] | In fact, it seems you’re | 实际上 似乎你才是 |
[09:14] | the reason John’s on trial in the first place. | 约翰受审的幕后推手 |
[09:17] | – Marcy. – Yes, sir? | – 马尔西 – 什么事 先生 |
[09:18] | Call security, please. | 叫保安 |
[09:20] | This man’s refused repeated instructions | 这个人在我多次要求下 |
[09:22] | to leave the office. | 依然拒绝离开办公室 |
[09:23] | He might be armed. | 他可能携带武器 |
[09:25] | Right away, sir. | 我这就去 先生 |
[09:27] | That won’t be necessary. | 不必了 |
[09:29] | You know, before you came in here, | 告诉你 你来之前 |
[09:31] | I was on the fence about taking the time | 我还在犹豫 要不要抽出时间 |
[09:33] | to testify against Phillips, | 出庭指证菲利普斯 |
[09:35] | but now, I guess, I’ll see you in court. | 不过现在我想 咱们法庭上见 |
[09:42] | I’m looking forward to that. | 我非常期待 |
[09:56] | Hey there, Marissa, I’m putting you on speaker. | 玛丽莎 我开了免提 |
[09:59] | How’d you get Dormit to testify? | 你是怎么让多姆特出庭作证的 |
[10:01] | Classic high-conflict behavior. | 典型的高冲突行为 |
[10:03] | Instead of resolving problems, he likes to escalate them. | 他喜欢让问题升级 而不是寻求解决方法 |
[10:07] | Well done! | 干得漂亮 |
[10:08] | You can put him on the stand just like you want it. | 正好如你所愿 可以让他出庭作证 |
[10:10] | Now that you got your wish, what’s next? | 既然你也如愿 下一步怎么办 |
[10:12] | Police. Pull over. | 警察 靠边停 |
[10:14] | I’ll let you know when I get back. | 我回去告诉你 |
[10:16] | First I have to pay for my wish. | 首先 我得为我想要的东西买单 |
[10:17] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[10:18] | Police! Pull over now. | 警察 立刻停下 |
[10:21] | Dormit must have told local law enforcement | 多姆特一定和当地执法部门说了 |
[10:23] | I was driving through. | 我会开车经过 |
[10:24] | Bye. | 拜 |
[10:27] | License and registration. | 请出示你的驾照和行驶证 |
[10:30] | Sure thing, Officer. | 好的 警官 |
[10:33] | Do you mind if I ask what I did wrong? | 可以问一下我做错什么了吗 |
[10:36] | I don’t know if you’re aware of New York laws, sir, | 先生 我不知道你是否熟悉纽约州法律 |
[10:38] | but it’s a hands-free state. | 但是本州不允许边开车边打电话 |
[10:40] | In the car. I assume it’s safe | 在车里面 我觉得把手 |
[10:42] | to use our hands other places. | 用到其他地方也是安全的 |
[10:44] | Please step out of the car. | 请下车 |
[10:49] | Can I use my hands? | 我能用我的手开门吗 |
[10:51] | You’re a funny guy, huh? | 你可真会开玩笑 |
[10:55] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[10:57] | Oh, good. | 不错 |
[10:59] | We’re pooling our resources to pay your fine. | 我们把所有的东西都卖了才给你付清罚款 |
[11:01] | FYI, Marissa wouldn’t give up her watch. | 顺便一提 玛丽莎不肯贡献她的表 |
[11:03] | I take it the assemblyman | 我认为那个议员 |
[11:05] | had something to do with your citation. | 和你的传票有关系 |
[11:06] | A small price to pay for the pleasure | 只要能让他出庭 |
[11:08] | of his company in court. | 花这点钱算什么 |
[11:10] | So, the prosecution’s plan | 所以 控方计划 |
[11:13] | is to get the jury’s attention focused on the small details. | 把陪审团的注意力都集中到小细节上 |
[11:16] | Yep. Beer, the speeding. | 没错 喝酒 超速 |
[11:18] | Looking angry as he passed Dormit. | 看多姆特的眼神充满了愤怒 |
[11:20] | But now we put those details into a larger context. | 但如今 我们把这些细节放到更大的环境下 |
[11:23] | With Dormit on the stand? | 当多姆特出庭时吗 |
[11:24] | And with a jury full of people | 附加一个 |
[11:26] | who don’t get hung up on the details. | “不拘小节”陪审团 |
[11:29] | Like Benny. | 就像本尼一样 |
[11:30] | – Thanks? – No judgment. | – 什么 – 无意冒犯 |
[11:31] | That’s just how the Benny brain works. | 本尼的脑子就是这么转的 |
[11:33] | What brand of shoes was Marissa wearing yesterday? | 玛丽莎昨天穿了什么牌子的鞋 |
[11:35] | What color was her jacket? | 她的夹克是什么颜色的 |
[11:36] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[11:37] | But she looked great. | 但是她看起来很漂亮 |
[11:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[11:39] | Manolos. | 马诺洛鞋 |
[11:40] | And a winter white jacket over an emerald crew neck. | 外套是一件有翡翠色圆领的白色冬夹克 |
[11:43] | Very elegant. | 非常优雅 |
[11:43] | Okay. That’s probably enough | 好了 |
[11:44] | about my fashion choices. | 再别评价我的时尚品味了 |
[11:46] | I take it we wouldn’t want a detective on our jury. | 我认为陪审团中应该先排除侦探 |
[11:49] | No. On this one | 是的 在这个案子里 |
[11:50] | we need people who only think of the big picture. | 我们需要那些只注重全局的人 |
[11:52] | Intuitive thinkers. | 做事凭直觉的人 |
[11:54] | Jury selection is never perfect. | 挑选陪审团总是不尽人意 |
[11:57] | That’s why we have a head start. | 所以我们要起个好头 |
[11:59] | This is tomorrow’s jury pool. | 这是明天的陪审名单 |
[12:01] | How did you get… I mean, | 你们是怎么拿到… 我是说 |
[12:02] | nobody gets this in advance. | 没人能预先拿到这个 |
[12:04] | We do. | 我们可以 |
[12:05] | Better not to ask. | 最好不要问 |
[12:07] | Cable’s running through their social media. | 凯博查看他们的社交媒体 |
[12:08] | Court records… anything that tells us who these people are. | 法庭记录… 一切反映他们人格的资料 |
[12:11] | And who to avoid. | 好让我们进行排除 |
[12:13] | But in voir dire, | 但是预先审查时 |
[12:14] | you can’t just ask people if they get hung up on details. | 我不可能直接问陪审员”你们注重细节吗” |
[12:16] | You’re gonna ask these questions. | 你要问他们以下这些问题 |
[12:19] | Do you prefer | 你更喜欢 |
[12:21] | cooking or baking? | 烹饪还是烘焙 |
[12:22] | Mr. Foster, please. I’m hungry. | 福斯特先生 我饿了 |
[12:24] | Don’t try my patience before lunch. | 不要在午饭之前挑战我的耐心 |
[12:27] | Judge Bergen’s probably gonna give you a little bit of flack. | 卑尔根法官可能会说你两句 |
[12:29] | Don’t worry. | 不要担心 |
[12:31] | You can ask anything you want in court. | 在法庭上你可以问任何问题 |
[12:32] | Cooking or baking? | 烹饪还是烘焙 |
[12:34] | Bakers are precise. | 喜欢烘焙的人更为细致 |
[12:36] | They have to follow the recipe exactly, details matter. | 他们必须准确的遵照食谱 细节非常重要 |
[12:39] | Cooking. | 烹饪 |
[12:40] | It’s more about the feel of the dish. | 更关注做菜的感觉 |
[12:42] | I sort of wing it, though, | 尽管我总是随心所欲地烧饭 |
[12:43] | ’cause I never have the right stuff in my fridge. | 因为我的冰箱里总是缺少合适的食材 |
[12:45] | So people who cook | 所以更喜欢烹饪的人 |
[12:47] | will be more open to John’s story. | 会更愿意接受约翰的故事 |
[12:48] | Cooking or baking? | 烹饪还是烘焙 |
[12:50] | Uh, baking. | 烘焙 |
[12:52] | But not all that vegan | 但不是那些素食主义者 |
[12:53] | gluten-free, taste-free crap. | 无蛋白 无味道的废话 |
[12:57] | We move to strike this juror. | 我方要求排除这位陪审员 |
[13:01] | Don’t smile. | 别笑 |
[13:03] | You can’t smile. | 你不能笑 |
[13:05] | You didn’t just win the lottery. | 你不是中了彩票 |
[13:06] | You struck a juror. | 只是排除了一位陪审员 |
[13:07] | You give anything away, | 你把什么都写在脸上 |
[13:08] | the prosecution will catch on. | 控方会发现的 |
[13:10] | So just show me. | 所以给我看一下 |
[13:12] | Yeah, but don’t look nervous. | 对 但是不要看起来很紧张 |
[13:13] | Show me your neutral face. | 摆出你中立的表情 |
[13:16] | That’s more sad clown. | 看起来像个悲伤小丑 |
[13:18] | We’ll work on this. Don’t think about it. | 别管这个了 我们会处理的 |
[13:20] | Oh, boy. | 伙计 |
[13:22] | Cooking. | 烹饪 |
[13:23] | No patience for baking. | 没有烘焙的耐心 |
[13:25] | Acceptable to the defense. | 通过辩方审查 |
[13:27] | Mr. Mercado? | 梅尔卡多先生 |
[13:28] | Acceptable, Your Honor. | 同意 法官大人 |
[13:31] | It looks like we have a jury. | 陪审团已经成立 |
[13:34] | Participating in a criminal case as a juror is an important duty. | 刑事案件中的陪审员肩负着重大的责任 |
[13:34] | 别笑 你做得很好 – 布尔博士 | |
[13:37] | We will attempt to keep any inconvenience to you | 我们会尽力将给您带来的不便降到最低 |
[13:39] | at a minimum. I would like to remind you | 需要提醒大家 |
[13:41] | as a juror there are some guidelines you need to follow. | 作为一位陪审员 你们需要遵循以下准则 |
[13:43] | I spend my weekends bird watching. | 陪审员:我周末都去观鸟了 |
[13:45] | I spend my weekends bird watching. | 镜面陪审员:我周末都去观鸟了 |
[13:46] | I’m married with four kids. | 陪审员:我已婚了 并且有四个孩子 |
[13:48] | I’m married with four kids. | 镜面陪审员:我已婚了 并且有四个孩子 |
[13:49] | I am an account executive. | 陪审员:我是一名业务经理 |
[13:51] | Still single. | 镜面陪审员:还是单身 |
[13:52] | We have identified the 12 mirror jurors. | 我们已经辨认出了十二位镜面陪审员 |
[13:55] | How’d we fare? | 进展如何 |
[13:56] | Mostly good. | 大部分都很不错 |
[13:57] | However… Sorry. | – 然而 – 不好意思 |
[13:58] | …the mirror jury has led me to believe | 镜面陪审员让我觉得 |
[14:00] | that this juror could be an issue. | 这位陪审员会是个麻烦 |
[14:02] | Arthur Jolene. | 亚瑟·琼尼 |
[14:04] | His pulsed spiked when he saw that John was speeding. | 他看到约翰超速时 脉搏加速了 |
[14:06] | He pays all his bills on time. And… | 他按时支付账单 而且… |
[14:08] | He’s a birdwatcher. Oy. | 他是个观鸟者 |
[14:10] | He’s kept a hand-written log for the last 19 years. | 过去的十九年 他一直在手写记录这个 |
[14:13] | He can spot all 476 species in New York. | 他能认出在纽约的四百七十六种鸟 |
[14:17] | And he’s still single? | 而且他还是单身 |
[14:18] | Can you believe it? | 你能相信吗 |
[14:19] | Speaking of that winter white jacket and Manolos… | 说起那件冬天的白色外套和马诺洛鞋 |
[14:21] | – Oh, not again. – Wait a minute. | – 不是吧 又来 – 等一下 |
[14:22] | I want in on this. | 我想说两句 |
[14:23] | She’s worn a new outfit twice this week. | 她这周已经换了两身了 |
[14:25] | And she left the office at 7:30 last night, | 而且她昨晚七点半就离开了办公室 |
[14:28] | which never happens, so what’s going on? | 太稀奇了 发生了什么 |
[14:31] | I am pretty sure this is why the phrase “None of your business” | 怪不得人们经常说 |
[14:35] | was originally invent… | “关你屁事”… |
[14:37] | Sorry. Don’t know my own strength. | 抱歉 不知道我能打那么远 |
[14:39] | That was at least 16 feet. | 这才十六英尺呢 |
[14:41] | Yes, it was. | 是啊 |
[14:42] | All right, big guy. You’re at bat. | 好了 大家伙 轮到你击球了 |
[14:44] | Show me what ya got. | 让我看看你怎么样 |
[14:45] | Now, I hear that you’re a Mets fan. | 那么 我听说你是纽约大都会队的球迷 |
[14:49] | I’m not gonna hold that against you. Who’s your favorite player? | 不是要跟你作对 你最喜欢的球员是谁 |
[14:51] | Cespedes. | 塞斯佩德斯 |
[14:52] | He’s averaging almost .300, | 他的击球率一般在.300 |
[14:54] | but July 5 he hit .305, | 但是七月五日他达到了.305 |
[14:56] | and April 29, | 四月二十九日 |
[14:57] | starting up against the Giants, he hit .313. | 先发对巨人队那场 他的击球率为.313 |
[15:00] | Wow. Nice stats. | 成绩惊人 |
[15:03] | Show me your stance. | 摆击球姿势给我看看 |
[15:10] | You all right there, kiddo? | 准备好了吗 小伙子 |
[15:13] | Getting ready takes a sec. | 马上就好 |
[15:15] | Warm up for you. | 热热身 |
[15:20] | Ah, man, missed it. | 老兄 没打着 |
[15:22] | That was a good cut. Bad pitch. | 削得不错 投得不好 |
[15:24] | So you got some Major League scouts looking at you? | 那全国棒球联盟有人来挖你吗 |
[15:27] | Nah, I’m not on the team anymore. | 没 我都不在队里了 |
[15:34] | All right. Let’s take another cut. | 好吧 我们再打一次 |
[15:36] | Eyes on the ball this time. | 这次看好球 |
[15:40] | Talked to all the parents from the game? | 跟队里所有家长都聊过了吗 |
[15:43] | Uh, minus two who are more evasive. | 除了两个不想聊的 |
[15:45] | But we have character witnesses. | 但我们有品格证人 |
[15:46] | John checks out like father of the year. | 约翰就像是年度父亲 |
[15:48] | Anyone mention why John took Carter off the team? | 有人提起过约翰带卡特离开球队的原因吗 |
[15:51] | One dad thinks it has to do | 一位父亲认为跟 |
[15:52] | with the accident, the trial. | 这起事故和审讯有关 |
[15:54] | Talk to everyone. | 跟所有人聊一聊 |
[15:55] | Find out what kind of player Carter was. | 查一下卡特是个怎样的球员 |
[15:58] | Lurla Gray? | 罗拉·盖瑞 |
[16:03] | Maybe. | 大概吧 |
[16:04] | Are you the one who called about John Phillips? | 是你打电话来问约翰·菲利普斯的事吗 |
[16:06] | Your sons played baseball together. | 你们儿子一起打棒球 |
[16:09] | Ma’am? | 女士 |
[16:11] | I worked for the FBI. | 我在联邦调查局工作 |
[16:13] | This gnome you have guarding your door isn’t gonna deter me. | 你这个守门的地精可阻止不了我 |
[16:18] | I told them I was done talking. | 我跟他们说过我不想说了 |
[16:20] | I don’t want to be involved. | 我不想卷进去 |
[16:21] | Told who? | 跟谁说的 |
[16:22] | The DA. He promised to protect me if I handed over the video. | 地方检察官 他说如果我交出视频就会保护我 |
[16:26] | Ma’am, what video? | 女士 什么视频 |
[16:41] | I want to win games out there. | 我想赢得那场比赛 |
[16:43] | Listen, maybe you find a different sport for your son. | 听着 你怎么不让你儿子去打别的球 |
[16:46] | Okay. That’s not good, John. | 好吧 这看起来不太妙 约翰 |
[16:48] | Attacking a coach supports the prosecution’s case | 攻击教练证实了控方 |
[16:50] | that he drove in an agitated state. | 对于他开车时情绪焦躁不安的陈述 |
[16:53] | And then you got in the car? | 然后你就上车了吗 |
[16:56] | This is a detail the jury may have a hard time ignoring. | 这细节肯定会引起陪审团的注意 |
[17:10] | Look, I know it looks bad, | 听着 我知道这看起来很糟糕 |
[17:12] | but there’s a perfectly good… | 但有件事会帮到我们 |
[17:15] | I don’t know, maybe it’s not very good, but… | 我不确定 也许帮不到 但… |
[17:20] | That guy there, Gary, he’s one of the dads | 这个人叫盖瑞 是给卡特的球队 |
[17:22] | that coaches Carter’s team. | 当教练的爸爸们之一 |
[17:23] | And he benches Carter every game | 每次比赛他都让卡特替补 |
[17:25] | until the last inning, | 直到最后一局才上场 |
[17:26] | when it doesn’t even matter. | 也就是对比赛没什么影响的时候 |
[17:28] | Is it a competitive league? | 是竞争激烈的联赛吗 |
[17:29] | These kids are eight years old. | 这些孩子才八岁 |
[17:31] | But he’s acting like they’re going to the World Series. | 可他表现得像是他们要参加世界职业棒球联赛 |
[17:33] | He, he has the same three kids | 每次比赛他都让同三个孩子 |
[17:35] | riding the pine every game. | 坐冷板凳 |
[17:36] | Not his kid, I bet. | 没有他的孩子 我敢打赌 |
[17:38] | So you shoved him. | 所以你推了他一把 |
[17:39] | I only went to go talk to him. | 我只是去跟他聊聊 |
[17:40] | In private so it wasn’t a thing in front of the other parents, | 私下聊 这样其他家长就不会看到 |
[17:43] | but then he starts acting like it was my fault. | 可是接着他表现出一幅 都是我的错 |
[17:44] | Carter’s fault. | 都是卡特的错的样子 |
[17:46] | And then he says, “Oh, maybe your kid | 然后他说 “怎么不让你家孩子 |
[17:47] | should find another sport.” And, uh… | 去打别的球” 然后 |
[17:51] | I just snapped. | 我就发火了 |
[17:52] | John. | 约翰 |
[17:53] | These are the kinds of things we need to know. | 这种情况你必须毫无保留的告诉我们 |
[17:55] | The prosecution has the video. | 控方拿到了视频 |
[17:57] | And Mercado’s gonna lead with it at trial. | 梅尔卡多的人在法庭上会大肆渲染此事 |
[17:59] | It’ll make the case that you were in an agitated state | 这会使人相信 |
[18:01] | before you got behind the wheel. | 你开车之前情绪激动 |
[18:02] | This gives the prosecution grounds for manslaughter. | 这就给控方提供了过失杀人的依据 |
[18:06] | We’ll be ready. | 我们会准备好的 |
[18:08] | For whatever they throw at us. | 无论对方是什么妖魔鬼怪 |
[18:11] | In the car crash that killed… | 在那起致人死亡的车祸中… |
[18:13] | No, nope, nope, nope, sorry. | 不不不 抱歉 |
[18:16] | I kno… I know you said you were gonna jump in, | 我知道… 你说过你会打断我 |
[18:18] | I just assumed I’d get a whole sentence in first. | 至少让我先把话说完 |
[18:20] | Don’t use the word “Crash.” | 不要用”车祸”这个词 |
[18:22] | It’s “Accident,” “Tragedy,” “Loss.” | 要用”事故” “悲剧” “损失” |
[18:24] | Those are the magic words. | 那些是有魔力的字眼 |
[18:25] | Especially around Arthur Jolene. | 尤其对于亚瑟·琼尼来说 |
[18:26] | Who? | 谁 |
[18:27] | Juror Number Two. | 二号陪审员 |
[18:29] | And the other two who will cluster around him. | 还有另外两个将会赞同他的人 |
[18:31] | – Cluster? – Jurors Number Eight and Nine | – 赞同 – 八号和九号陪审员 |
[18:32] | will follow the strongest personality | 会听从与他们性格相似 |
[18:34] | with whom they share similar traits. | 且强有力的人 |
[18:36] | That’s Arthur. | 那是亚瑟 |
[18:40] | This tragic accident… | 这场不幸的事故… |
[18:42] | Why are you standing there? | 你为什么站在那里 |
[18:43] | – I’m talking to Arthur. – Okay. | – 我在跟亚瑟说话 – 好的 |
[18:45] | But when you’re talking about John, | 但当你说到约翰时 |
[18:46] | it actually helps to stand near him. | 站得离他近一些会更好 |
[18:48] | That’ll subconsciously associate John | 这会让陪审员潜意识里 |
[18:51] | with the positive words in the jurors’ brains. | 将约翰与积极的词汇联系起来 |
[18:53] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[18:53] | But not when you mention the negative details. | 你提到消极细节时就不要站这么近了 |
[18:55] | Like the fight with the coach. | 比如跟教练打架 |
[18:57] | Oh, no. They didn’t have a fight. | 不 他们没有打架 |
[18:58] | He confronted a hot-headed coach | 他跟一个性急的教练对峙 |
[19:01] | who was taking the game too seriously. | 那个教练把比赛看得太重了 |
[19:04] | Will it even matter where I stand | 一旦他们看到那个视频 |
[19:05] | once they’ve seen that video? | 我站在哪里还有关系吗 |
[19:06] | Everything matters. | 当然有关 |
[19:08] | The coach won’t testify, | 教练不会出庭作证 |
[19:09] | so Danny’s talking to him now to find out why. | 丹尼正跟他聊 试着找出原因 |
[19:12] | John’s right, I want to win baseball games, | 约翰是对的 我想赢得棒球比赛 |
[19:14] | and there’s no rule that says you got to play all the kids | 也没有规定说你必须让所有孩子 |
[19:16] | the same amount of time. | 都同时上场 |
[19:18] | But I don’t blame John for what happened. | 但我不会怪约翰跟我吵架 |
[19:19] | He’s a decent guy, he means well. | 他很正派 天性善良 |
[19:20] | When you said that, | 你一这么说 |
[19:21] | the prosecution chose not to call you to the stand. | 控方就不让你出庭作证了 |
[19:24] | I made it pretty clear that I don’t want to get involved. | 我说的很明白 我不想搅和进来 |
[19:26] | John doesn’t deserve this, and I feel for Carter. | 约翰不该遭受这些 而且我很同情卡特 |
[19:29] | Even though you benched him? | 就算你让他坐冷板凳吗 |
[19:31] | Ugh. The kid is terrible. | 那孩子太可怜了 |
[19:33] | And I don’t want him to lose his dad to prison | 我不想让他在失去母亲以后 |
[19:35] | after he just lost his mom. | 父亲又入狱 |
[19:37] | Would you be willing to testify that you instigated the fight? | 你愿意作证是自己挑起那场打斗的吗 |
[19:40] | No. | 不 |
[19:41] | John lost it. | 约翰失去理智了 |
[19:43] | Don’t get me wrong. | 别误会我了 |
[19:44] | Parents go bananas out there all the time. | 父母们在场边总是脾气暴躁 |
[19:46] | Last week a shortstop’s dad | 上周一个游击手的爸爸 |
[19:47] | was critiquing another kid’s hitting, | 指责另一个小孩打得不好 |
[19:49] | got a snow cone to the face. | 被人扔了一脸刨冰 |
[19:51] | I told you, it doesn’t make any of us look much better. | 我说过了 说这些对双方无益 |
[19:53] | Is there anything that you could tell me that might help? | 那你能告诉我点有用的吗 |
[19:56] | Well, I didn’t tell the DA guy this, | 好吧 我没告诉那个地方检察官 |
[19:58] | but Karen called right after from the car. | 在那之后 凯伦从车里给我打电话 |
[20:00] | – And? – She wanted to apologize. | – 然后呢 – 她想道歉 |
[20:02] | Had something to explain, | 似乎有话想说 |
[20:03] | but then John yelled at her and she hung up. | 但约翰吼了她 她就挂了电话 |
[20:05] | – Explain what? – I don’t know. | – 她想说什么 – 我也不知道 |
[20:07] | Look, I wish him well. | 听着 我希望他没事 |
[20:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[20:11] | So he fought with the coach and his wife before the accident? | 在事故前 他跟教练和妻子都吵了架 |
[20:15] | All part of the same fight. | 还是关于同一件事情 |
[20:16] | It’s not helping. | 这个帮倒忙啊 |
[20:17] | I debriefed the mirror jury after they saw the video, | 模拟陪审团看了视频之后 我询问了他们 |
[20:19] | looks like we only have five of 12 on John’s side. | 看起来十二个人里只有五个支持约翰 |
[20:22] | Three guiltys. | 三个人认为有罪 |
[20:23] | Arthur Jolene, and the two clustering around him. | 亚瑟·琼尼和他旁边的两个人 |
[20:26] | Think the fight’s clear evidence | 认为这场争执就是最确凿的证据 |
[20:27] | that John’s an angry guy who shouldn’t have gotten | 证明约翰生性暴躁 |
[20:29] | – behind the wheel. – John was angry. | – 根本不应该驾驶 – 约翰当时是很暴躁 |
[20:30] | But he’s not an angry guy, | 但他不是生性暴躁 |
[20:32] | and the jury needs to see that. | 陪审团需要了解到这一点 |
[20:33] | You working a theory? | 你有办法了吗 |
[20:34] | First, we have to dispense with Assemblyman Dormit. | 首先 我们不能再让多姆特议员出庭了 |
[20:37] | Assuming Gil follows the plan. | 如果吉尔按计划行事 |
[20:39] | Dormit eats lawyers like Gil for lunch. | 他会把吉尔那样的律师当午餐活吃了 |
[20:41] | For breakfast. | 当成早餐 |
[20:42] | It’s the most important meal of the day. | 那才是一天里最重要的一顿 |
[20:43] | I think it’s lunch. | 我觉得午餐才是 |
[20:44] | Gil will not be eaten. | 吉尔能招架住 |
[20:47] | Now, someone needs to go through John’s insurance claims | 现在 得有个人去检查约翰过去五年的 |
[20:50] | for the last five years. | 保险索赔记录 |
[20:51] | Medical. | 还有医保 |
[20:52] | It’s not exactly legal, is it? | 这不太合法 不是吗 |
[20:54] | Well, then, it’s a good thing no one here is doing it. | 是的 还好咱们不是干这个的 |
[20:56] | Especially not… Cable! | 但我们有… 凯博 |
[20:58] | Today? | 今天 |
[21:00] | Judge Lamkin. | 拉姆金法官 |
[21:02] | I’ll meet you guys in there. | 待会里面见 |
[21:04] | Now, you don’t work at this courthouse. | 你可不在这里当法官 |
[21:07] | No. But I do live in Nassau County. | 是的 但我的确住在拿骚县 |
[21:08] | Oh! | 噢 |
[21:10] | You’re taking my advice. | 你听了我的建议 |
[21:11] | Running for State Assembly. | 竞选州议员 |
[21:13] | It’s something I’ve wanted to do for years, | 这是多年以来我梦寐以求的事 |
[21:15] | but I never really thought I had a shot. | 但我从没想过自己真能有这个机会 |
[21:17] | Hmm. | 嗯 |
[21:18] | Are you sure about this? | 你确定我能赢吗 |
[21:19] | 100%. | 百分之百 |
[21:20] | Then I’m off to file. | 那我就去报名了 |
[21:30] | Assemblyman Dormit, can you | 多姆特议员 |
[21:32] | identify the driver? | 你能辨认出肇事司机吗 |
[21:33] | Yeah, he’s sitting right over there. | 能 他就坐在那里 |
[21:35] | Well, I was trying to switch lanes | 我当时正准备变道 |
[21:38] | so he could pass, but | 好让他过去 |
[21:40] | he was already swerving around me. | 但是他已经急转到我旁边来了 |
[21:41] | Nearly ran me off the road. | 差点把我挤到路边 |
[21:43] | Gave me an angry look. | 他怒视我一眼 |
[21:45] | I thought maybe he was drunk. | 我想他可能醉酒了 |
[21:46] | Objection, assumes facts not in evidence. | 反对 假定的事实不是证据 |
[21:49] | And actually, we have John’s blood alcohol level | 实际上 约翰的血液检测报告里 |
[21:51] | on record as being | 血液中的酒精含量 |
[21:52] | below the legal limit, so, | 低于法定标准 |
[21:54] | assumes lies not in evidence. | 他的假想不能作为证据 |
[21:56] | That’s not actually a thing, | 这不是同一件事 |
[21:57] | Mr. Foster, but point taken. | 福斯特先生 但你说得有理 |
[21:59] | And then what happened? | 然后发生什么了 |
[22:01] | Then I saw the road sign. It said | 然后我看见一个路牌 上面说 |
[22:04] | Congestion Ahead. | 前方拥堵 |
[22:06] | So I slowed down. And as I | 于是我放慢车速 |
[22:08] | rounded the bend | 当我转过那个弯道时 |
[22:10] | I saw the huge crash he’d caused. | 我看见他引发的惨重车祸 |
[22:12] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 |
[22:14] | Mr. Dormit, would you happen to know | 多姆特先生 你知道在这一片 |
[22:17] | how many drivers are prosecuted | 有多少司机 |
[22:19] | for car accidents in this district? | 是因为车祸被起诉的 |
[22:21] | – Not off the top of my head, no. – Well, even when | – 不清楚 没什么概念 – 即便车祸 |
[22:23] | there’s a fatality, it’s less than | 导致死伤 这一比例 |
[22:26] | – five percent of the time, right? – I guess | – 也低于百分之五 对吗 – 我猜 |
[22:28] | – Something like that. – Which would certainly | – 就是这样 – 这样的话 |
[22:30] | makes it seem like John’s | 约翰的案子 |
[22:32] | being unfairly singled out. | 就像是违反公正地被挑了出来 |
[22:33] | Get to a question, Mr. Foster. | 请表明你的问题 福斯特先生 |
[22:35] | Do you have an agenda, | 你那天是不是有事 |
[22:36] | Mr. Dormit? After the accident, | 多姆特先生 在事故之后 |
[22:39] | did you call your friend | 你是不是打电话给你的朋友 |
[22:40] | and golf buddy, the district attorney, | 兼你的高尔夫球伴 也是当地检察官 |
[22:43] | and personally request that John be charged? | 并且私下建议起诉约翰 |
[22:45] | That is moronic. | 这太蠢了 |
[22:47] | Name calling is not | 骂人不等于 |
[22:50] | the same as giving an answer. | 回答我的问题 |
[22:58] | Gil put his first points on the board. | 吉尔已经提出了他的第一个观点 |
[23:00] | Look at the spike in vitals on his mirror juror’s biometer. | 看模拟陪审团测定仪上这些脉搏波动 |
[23:04] | A crack in Arthur Jolene’s cluster. | 严重冲击了亚瑟·琼尼的簇拥者 |
[23:06] | Not hard to tap into people’s outrage | 滥权这种事 你只需稍稍一点 |
[23:08] | against the abuse of power. | 就能激起人们的愤怒 |
[23:10] | Juror number nine swore he’d never vote again | 九号陪审员在上次选举后 |
[23:12] | after the last election. | 立誓再也不投票了 |
[23:14] | How many speeches did you give | 约翰的事故过后 |
[23:15] | after John’s wreck in support | 你在你的选区发表过多少次 |
[23:16] | of a new highway project in your district? | 支持新建高速的演讲 |
[23:19] | I give a lot of speeches. | 我演讲次数很多 |
[23:21] | Six. | 六次 |
[23:23] | By the way, | 顺便一提 |
[23:25] | I love the slogan from your last election. | 我很喜欢你上届选举的口号 |
[23:29] | “All roads lead to Dormit.” | “条条大路通多姆特” |
[23:31] | It’s catchy. | 抓人眼球 |
[23:32] | You sponsored the roads. | 你赞助了道路建设 |
[23:33] | Objection. Relevance. | 反对 没有相关性 |
[23:35] | The next words better be relevant, | 接下来的辩词最好与本案相关 |
[23:36] | Mr. Foster. | 福斯特先生 |
[23:39] | Mr. Dormit, do you have something | 多姆特先生 你会不会 |
[23:41] | to personally gain from John’s conviction, | 从约翰的定罪中获取什么私利呢 |
[23:43] | perhaps having something to do with | 是不是牵扯到 |
[23:45] | the road improvement bill for Nassau County | 你支持的拿骚县的 |
[23:47] | that you sponsored? | 公路改建提案呢 |
[23:49] | Isn’t it true that your brother | 你的兄弟是不是 |
[23:51] | owns a concrete factory? | 有一个水泥厂 |
[23:54] | I’m not saying there were kickbacks… | 我并不是说他吃了回扣… |
[23:55] | – Now, hold on… – You hold on. | – 闭嘴吧你 – 你闭嘴 |
[23:56] | Now, who the hell are you? | 你算老几 |
[23:58] | Those projects were fair, created jobs… | 那些工程很合理 创造工作机会… |
[24:01] | For your family. | 为你的家人 |
[24:03] | He’s the criminal. | 他是罪犯 |
[24:05] | Right there. | 就在那里 |
[24:06] | He is. | 他才是罪犯 |
[24:14] | Marissa says we gained a few. | 玛丽莎说我们赢回一些陪审员 |
[24:16] | Where’s John? | 约翰在哪里 |
[24:18] | He went outside to cool off. | 他出去透透气 |
[24:20] | Can’t blame him for not being Dormit’s biggest fan. | 不支持多姆特 也不能怪他 |
[24:23] | Remember the first thing | 记得你最开始加入庭审分析公司时 |
[24:25] | I told you when you joined TAC? | 我跟你说什么吗 |
[24:26] | Uh, you said never stop at a client’s first confession. | 你说永远都不要 止步于委托人的第一份供词 |
[24:29] | It’s only the beginning. | 那只是冰山一角 |
[24:32] | John. | 约翰 |
[24:33] | – Hey, Dr. Bull. – Hey. | – 你好 布尔博士 – 你好 |
[24:35] | John, slow down. Hey… | 约翰 慢着 听我说… |
[24:36] | it’s one thing to stare down Dormit in court, | 你可以在法庭上质问多米特 逼他现出原形 |
[24:38] | it’s another to confront him in his car. | 但在停车场跟他私下对峙就很不明智了 |
[24:40] | I don’t care anymore, okay? | 我才不管那么多呢 |
[24:41] | What would a jury think? | 要是让陪审员看到了怎么办 |
[24:42] | You have to think. | 你必须保持理智 |
[24:44] | – He is ruining my life. – Shh, shh. | – 他毁了我的生活 – 冷静点 |
[24:45] | He doesn’t care about your life. | 他才不在乎会不会毁掉某个人的生活 |
[24:47] | He’s a political opportunist, okay? | 他是个投机取巧的政治家 |
[24:48] | And that may be pathetic and awful, | 这听上去既可悲又残忍 |
[24:51] | but he’s not your biggest problem. | 但现在你最大的问题不是他 |
[24:53] | You are. | 是你自己 |
[25:00] | John, what were you and Karen fighting about before the crash? | 约翰 车祸发生前你和卡伦在争论什么 |
[25:04] | It was nothing. | 没什么 |
[25:06] | I mean, she was mad that I went after the coach. | 她气我不该去找教练的麻烦 |
[25:09] | Because he didn’t know about Carter. | 教练并不知道卡特的运动障碍 |
[25:11] | There’s nothing wrong with my son. | 我儿子没毛病 |
[25:13] | You can hide it all you want, | 你不想承认也行 |
[25:15] | but it’s all I see. | 但我知道实情 |
[25:23] | Carter’s had his challenges, hasn’t he? | 卡特有点运动障碍不是吗 |
[25:27] | He has some kind of, um, | 他有点 |
[25:29] | motor planning disorder. | 运动协调障碍症 |
[25:31] | I know. | 我知道 |
[25:32] | He’s been in physical therapy | 过去的两年里 他一直在 |
[25:34] | for the last two years. | 接受物理治疗 |
[25:36] | Three times a week. | 一周去三次 |
[25:38] | Mm. | 嗯 |
[25:40] | He’s just as good as any of these other kids. | 他跟其他孩子没什么区别 |
[25:42] | He just has to work twice as hard. | 只是他得比别人多下一倍的功夫 |
[25:44] | So… | 所以… |
[25:47] | when he got benched, you know, I just… | 当他坐冷板凳的时候 我就… |
[25:48] | Yeah, but why don’t you just tell the coach | 我能理解 为什么不告诉教练 |
[25:50] | he needs a little extra help? | 这孩子需要多点帮助呢 |
[25:51] | Karen wanted to, but I-I… | 卡伦想这么做 但我… |
[25:53] | I-I don’t want people treating him differently. | 我不希望他被区别对待 |
[26:01] | But in the car, | 但开车的时候 |
[26:04] | she said that I was ashamed. | 卡伦指责我对自己的儿子 |
[26:07] | Of my own son. | 感到羞耻 |
[26:12] | And that’s what you were fighting about… | 当时你俩就在为这事争吵… |
[26:14] | Carter, watch your stance! | 卡特 注意击球姿势 |
[26:15] | …before the crash. | …在车祸发生前 |
[26:20] | This is something you have to tell the jury. | 你得把这事告诉陪审团 |
[26:22] | – They will understand, too. – No. | – 他们会理解的 – 不行 |
[26:24] | No. | 不行 |
[26:25] | This stays between us. | 这事不能告诉其他人 |
[26:37] | Have a seat. | 请坐 |
[26:43] | Look, I’ll testify, but, uh… | 听着 我同意出庭作证 但是… |
[26:46] | I don’t see how I could possibly be a good witness. | 我不觉得我能做好证人 |
[26:48] | John, you and your wife loved each other very much. | 约翰 你们夫妻俩感情非常好 |
[26:51] | I’ve seen it in the photos, | 这一点从你们的照片 生活 |
[26:53] | in the stories, everything Carter says. | 还有卡特身上可以看出来 |
[26:55] | I know, but… | 我知道 但… |
[26:56] | And you had a fight. | 你们吵架了 |
[26:57] | Like every other married couple on the planet. | 没有不吵架的夫妻 |
[26:59] | Dr. Bull, you don’t understand. | 你不明白 布尔博士 |
[27:00] | The way that we yelled… it was… | 但当时我们吵得很厉害… 就像… |
[27:02] | It wasn’t the first time that you fought about | 这并不是你们第一次争论 |
[27:03] | whether or not to tell someone about Carter’s condition, | 要不要告诉别人卡特的运动障碍 |
[27:06] | was it? | 不是吗 |
[27:08] | I know this isn’t easy, | 没人想承认自己的孩子有运动障碍 |
[27:10] | but neither is hiding it. | 但隐瞒这件事同样困难 |
[27:11] | I’m not hiding it. | 我没有隐瞒 |
[27:16] | I just… | 我只是… |
[27:17] | I want him to have a real childhood. | 希望他能拥有正常的童年生活 |
[27:18] | I mean, you start talking to people, | 你知道 如果我告诉别人 |
[27:20] | and… he doesn’t get on a team, | 他没能进棒球队的话 |
[27:22] | he gets singled out. | 他会被孤立的 |
[27:26] | You know, nothing should hold him back. | 他不该被区别对待 |
[27:31] | That’s what I want you to say on the stand. | 我希望你能把这些告诉陪审员们 |
[27:33] | No. I’m… | 不行 我… |
[27:35] | I’m not using my son | 我绝不用我儿子的身体障碍 |
[27:37] | to win the sympathy of strangers. | 去博取陌生人的同情 |
[27:38] | I got to go to work. | 我得去上班了 |
[27:47] | Hey, why aren’t you bantering with your Internet troll friend? | 为什么没继续跟你的网络线人挖点内幕 |
[27:49] | He, uh, went dark. | 他藏起来了 |
[27:51] | Why? I thought he was following John’s case. | 为什么 我以为他很关心约翰的案子呢 |
[27:55] | Gave you the Dormit intel. | 不然干嘛给你多米特的内幕 |
[27:56] | I know. I thought he’d be all | 对啊 我以为他会为我们 |
[27:58] | excited about Dormit’s flailing in court. | 在庭上搞定多米特的事感到高兴呢 |
[28:00] | He’s a good hacker, too. | 他是个很棒的黑客 |
[28:01] | But he’s really hard to find. | 但他藏得很深 |
[28:03] | Well, you know what Bull would say? | 你知道要是布尔在的话会说什么吗 |
[28:05] | Something cryptic that takes me days to understand? | 说些深奥难懂的话吗 |
[28:07] | Cable, when you’re a hammer, | 如果你把自己当成是铁锤 |
[28:09] | everything looks like a nail. | 那这世上就不会有你搞不定的钉子 |
[28:11] | You’re coming at it like a hacker. | 你在这件案子里扮演的是黑客的角色 |
[28:13] | Right? Only looking online. | 对吧 从网络上来看的话 |
[28:14] | But you got to think big picture. | 但你得跳出来从大局着眼 |
[28:16] | This guy’s sympathizing with John. | 这家伙对约翰富有同情心 |
[28:18] | Why? | 为什么呢 |
[28:20] | Gil’s cross of Dormit | 吉尔对多米特的交叉质询 |
[28:22] | convinced two fence-sitters | 赢得了两位陪审员 |
[28:23] | that John is getting unfairly railroaded. | 他们确信约翰是被诬告的 |
[28:26] | Oof. I’m not sure we can | 糟了 如果约翰不愿意 |
[28:27] | get the other two if John won’t explain the whole story | 把背后的实情告诉陪审团 我们就没法搞定 |
[28:30] | behind the fight. If the jury hears the whole context, | 另外两个陪审员 如果陪审团了解实情的话 |
[28:32] | they’ll see John as a loving father, | 他们会觉得约翰是位慈爱的父亲 |
[28:34] | not as an angry driver. But… | 而不是愤怒的马路杀手 但… |
[28:37] | without that, they’ll default to the prosecution’s version. | 反之 他们就会偏向控方的说法 |
[28:39] | And our cluster’s still holding firm around Bird-man? | 陪审员们还是普遍支持有罪控诉吗 |
[28:42] | Well, we observed jurors eight and two | 我们发现八号和二号陪审员 |
[28:43] | at a nearby cafeteria agreeing with each other | 在附近餐厅就餐时 一致认定 |
[28:45] | that Gil’s new cross of Dormit was weak at best. | 吉尔质疑多米特诬陷约翰的观点站不住脚 |
[28:49] | His mirror juror’s still hung up on the road sign | 模拟陪审团还是忘不了多米特提到的 |
[28:51] | Dormit mentioned. | 道路指示牌 |
[28:52] | Can’t see how John missed it. | 他们觉得约翰不应该没注意到的 |
[28:53] | So we’ll do a better job at convincing him | 那我们就得让亚瑟相信指示牌 |
[28:55] | the sign’s irrelevant. | 与案情无关 |
[28:56] | It’s not that easy… | 那会很难… |
[28:57] | He’s not naturally an intuitive thinker, | 他可不是位直觉灵敏的思考者 |
[28:59] | you can’t change him in a day. It’s like trying | 没人能在一天之内被彻底改变 这就像 |
[29:01] | to get an introvert to be the life of the party. | 让内向的人过上纵情社交的生活一样难 |
[29:04] | So what do we do? | 那该怎么办 |
[29:05] | Let’s forget about Arthur for the moment. | 先别管亚瑟了 |
[29:06] | Shore up our maybes. | 先搞定不确定因素吧 |
[29:07] | How? | 怎么搞 |
[29:09] | John said he won’t talk. | 约翰是不会说的 |
[29:10] | Correct. | 没错 |
[29:12] | But we can have Gil bring up Carter’s condition. | 但我们能让吉尔主动把内情引出来 |
[29:16] | You want me to ambush my own client on the stand? | 你想让我当庭曝光客户的家庭隐私 |
[29:18] | Gil… | 吉尔… |
[29:19] | No. No way. | 不 不行 |
[29:20] | My job is to tend to the needs of the client. | 我的工作是满足客户的诉求 |
[29:23] | Your job is to make sure that John does not rot in prison. | 你的工作是帮助约翰免除牢狱之灾 |
[29:26] | Your job is to make sure that his son | 你的工作是确保他的儿子 |
[29:28] | doesn’t end up in foster care. | 不被送去寄养 |
[29:36] | The game is done, all right? | 比赛结束了 好吧 |
[29:38] | He has to sit on the bench… | 为什么不让他上场… |
[29:39] | …wasn’t trying to do nothing. | …他又不是想拖大家后腿 |
[29:40] | I want to win games out there. | 我希望能赢得比赛 |
[29:41] | What is-what is this, the World Series? | 这又不是世界棒球联赛 |
[29:43] | Listen, maybe you find a different sport for your son. | 你怎么不让你家小孩去打别的球 |
[29:46] | And then you shoved the coach? | 你猛推了教练一下是吗 |
[29:48] | I pushed him. | 我只是推了他而已 |
[29:50] | I know that that video looks awful and, uh, | 我知道这段录像看上去很糟糕 但… |
[29:52] | believe me, I’m not proud of it. | 请相信我 我为自己的行为感到羞耻 |
[29:54] | Why do you think the coach doesn’t | 你为什么认为教练不希望 |
[29:57] | want to play Carter as much as the other kids? | 让卡特和其他孩子一样上场打球 |
[29:59] | I’m not saying that he’s a top player, but Carter | 我不觉得卡特是最好的球员 |
[30:02] | should be able to play more than just last inning. | 但他不应该只在最后一局时上场 |
[30:05] | Carter had any trouble keeping up with the other kids? | 卡特在球队里是否有些掉队 |
[30:08] | No. | 没有 |
[30:09] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[30:13] | John, | 约翰 |
[30:14] | I have some documents here from | 我有一些来自儿科医师的 |
[30:16] | Carter’s developmental pediatrician. | 关于卡特的文件报告 |
[30:21] | They speak to some challenges | 上面显示在过去的十八个月里 |
[30:22] | he’s faced in the past 18 months. | 他一直有某些困难 |
[30:26] | Tell us | 告诉我们 |
[30:28] | what was really going through your head | 你去找教练谈话时 |
[30:29] | when you went to talk to the coach. | 心里究竟是怎么想的 |
[30:47] | Carter has a motor planning disorder. | 卡特患有运动失调症 |
[30:50] | He’s a smart kid, | 他很聪明 |
[30:52] | he’s the best kid in the world, | 他是世界上最好的孩子 |
[30:54] | it just takes him some extra practice to, uh… | 他只需要多做些练习来… |
[31:01] | I’m sorry, I, um, | 抱歉 我… |
[31:04] | I didn’t come here today to talk about Carter. | 我今天来这里不是为了讨论卡特 |
[31:05] | I just-I just never wanted him | 我… 我只是不希望 |
[31:07] | to be, uh, treated differently, to be seen as weak. | 他被区别对待 被视作弱者 |
[31:18] | Karen wanted me to tell people. | 凯伦想让我告诉大家事实 |
[31:22] | And Karen was the smartest person that I know. | 凯伦是我见过的最聪明的人 |
[31:33] | We won over the maybes, | 我们争取到了中立票 |
[31:35] | but Arthur is still hung up on the road sign. | 但亚瑟还揪着路标不放 |
[31:37] | He needs one more detail to latch on to. | 他需要另一个细节来转移注意力 |
[31:40] | I might have a lead on that. | 我好像有个想法 |
[31:42] | And you’ve been withholding? | 你一直在偷藏着消息吗 |
[31:44] | You’re one to talk. | 你还敢说 |
[31:44] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[31:45] | Oh, the new dresses, leaving at 7:30. | 你穿着新裙子 还要七点半提前离开 |
[31:47] | You’re dating someone. | 你肯定有约会 |
[31:48] | And you’re being unusually cagey about it. | 而且这次你还讳莫如深 |
[31:50] | Yeah, don’t make me do a deep dive. | 是啊 别逼我调查你 |
[31:52] | Hey, we have one rule around here. | 我们这可有一条规矩 |
[31:54] | No investigating teammates. | 不许调查组员 |
[31:56] | Oh, then you shouldn’t work with a team of investigators, lady. | 女士 那你真不该和一群调查员共事啊 |
[31:58] | Arthur is not interested in my dating life. | 亚瑟对我的约会可不感兴趣 |
[32:00] | Can you please find something for him to focus on? | 你能找到其他吸引他的细节吗 |
[32:02] | I’m on it. | 我来吧 |
[32:06] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[32:07] | You’re Austin. | 你是奥斯汀 |
[32:08] | Do I know you? | 我认识你吗 |
[32:10] | Yeah, virtually. | 实际上我们认识 |
[32:10] | We were talking online about your favorite assemblyman. | 我们在网上讨论过你最喜欢的议员 |
[32:14] | I’m a friend of John Phillip’s. | 我是约翰·菲利普斯的朋友 |
[32:16] | I… I got to go. | 我…我得走了 |
[32:17] | Oh, yeah, you could. | 好啊 你走吧 |
[32:19] | You’re a really good hacker, Austin. | 你真是个厉害的黑客 奥斯汀 |
[32:21] | You hid your identity perfectly. | 你把身份隐藏得很好 |
[32:24] | All but once. | 除了那一次 |
[32:26] | When you donated to Karen Phillip’s memorial fund. | 当你为凯伦·菲利普斯的悼念会捐款的时候 |
[32:32] | It was supposed to be a dumb prank. | 这本该是一场愚蠢的恶作剧 |
[32:35] | I knew that Dormit would be driving by that day. | 我知道多姆特那天会开车经过 |
[32:37] | He’d been tweeting about the fund-raiser all day. | 他整天都在推特上对募捐者乱嚼舌根 |
[32:39] | You… you really don’t like the guy. | 你… 真的挺讨厌他的 |
[32:42] | My mom works at Bretner Library. | 我妈妈在布莱特纳图书馆工作 |
[32:44] | Or she used to… until… | 不 她曾经在那儿工作 直到… |
[32:47] | Dormit demolished it to make room | 直到多姆特拆了图书馆 |
[32:48] | for that new highway interchange off Exit 7. | 新建了高速公路七号出口 |
[32:51] | Dormit says, “Who cares? | 多姆特说 “谁会在乎 |
[32:52] | Nobody reads books anymore anyways.” | 反正现在也没有人读书了” |
[32:55] | So I thought I’d get back at him somehow. | 所以我想我一定要报复他 |
[32:57] | What did you do, Austin? | 你做了什么 奥斯汀 |
[33:00] | What the hell is that? | 那是什么鬼 |
[33:01] | “No need to read”? | “没必要读了” |
[33:03] | We found this on Instagram. | 我们在照片墙应用上找到了这段视频 |
[33:05] | Austin hacked the sign. | 奥斯汀黑进了路标系统 |
[33:07] | Somebody’s gonna get fired. | 有人要被炒了 |
[33:08] | “No Need to Read” | “没必要读了” |
[33:09] | is just the hacker’s stupid joke for Dormit. | 只是黑客对多姆特开了一个愚蠢的玩笑 |
[33:12] | It was there about 20 minutes before traffic | 它出现在事故开始前二十分钟 |
[33:14] | clogged up enough to cause the accident. | 在交通开始堵塞之前 |
[33:16] | Once he realized what he had done, | 当他意识到自己惹了事之后 |
[33:17] | he switched it back. | 他就把它换回来了 |
[33:19] | John, you really had no warning. | 约翰 你其实并没有收到任何警示 |
[33:21] | This sign didn’t say, “Slow: congestion ahead.” | 这个路标并没有显示”缓行 前方拥堵” |
[33:23] | This is it. | 就是它了 |
[33:25] | This is the exact detail we needed, | 这正是我们需要的那个细节 |
[33:27] | because Arthur’s a rule-follower, | 因为亚瑟是个循规蹈矩的人 |
[33:28] | and he’ll know that our client | 他就会知道 |
[33:30] | did not break the rule. | 我们的当事人并没有违反规则 |
[33:31] | So we recall John back on stand? | 所以我们要让约翰再上一次证人席吗 |
[33:35] | John? | 约翰 |
[33:37] | I can’t do that. | 我做不到 |
[33:40] | Why not? | 为什么 |
[33:41] | I… | 我… |
[33:42] | I don’t think I ever saw the sign. | 我好像从没见过这个路标 |
[33:44] | I-I don’t remember it. | 我不记得了 |
[33:45] | At all. | 一点儿也不记得 |
[33:47] | If you don’t remember seeing it, so, the prosecution | 如果你不记得见过它 那控方就会说 |
[33:51] | will say the hack doesn’t matter. | 路牌有没有被黑根本不重要 |
[33:56] | Recall John. | 再让约翰上证人席 |
[33:59] | Let ’em try. | 让检方来问 |
[34:02] | Isn’t it odd, Mr. Phillips, that you’re just | 这难道不奇怪吗 菲利普斯先生 |
[34:06] | now remembering this hacked sign? | 你现在才想起这个被黑的路标 |
[34:08] | It is, but so is being prosecuted | 是很奇怪 但在失去妻子之后 |
[34:11] | for a car accident after losing my wife. | 还被起诉 也很奇怪 |
[34:13] | After killing your wife, you mean. | 你是说 在杀了你的妻子后吗 |
[34:14] | Objection! | 反对 |
[34:15] | Sustained. | 反对无效 |
[34:19] | Why didn’t you tell us | 你为什么不说 |
[34:20] | that the sign was hacked? | 这个路标被黑了 |
[34:22] | Because you never saw it? | 因为你从没看见吧 |
[34:28] | The only one to watch is Arthur. | 只剩亚瑟一人还在观望了 |
[34:30] | So far, he’s still with the prosecution. | 到目前为止 他还站在控方那一边 |
[34:33] | Bull knows what he’s doing. | 布尔知道他在做什么 |
[34:35] | Isn’t there only one good reason | 你忽略了这个指示牌 |
[34:36] | why you missed the sign? | 应该只有一个绝佳的理由吧 |
[34:38] | Isn’t it because you were driving under the influence? | 是不是因为你当时正在醉酒驾驶 |
[34:40] | Objection! | 反对 |
[34:41] | Overruled. | 驳回 |
[34:42] | You had a drink, you were driving | 你喝了酒 |
[34:44] | – in a fit of rage… – That’s not what happened. | – 你在暴怒时开车… – 不是这样的 |
[34:46] | You were so angry that | 你太愤怒了 |
[34:47] | you couldn’t think straight. Otherwise, | 以至于都气糊涂了 |
[34:49] | you would have seen that giant sign right in front of you, | 否则你绝不会忽略在你正前方的巨大的路标 |
[34:51] | and Karen would still be alive, | 凯伦也不会因你而死 |
[34:52] | – wouldn’t she? – That’s not true! | – 是吗 – 你胡说 |
[34:54] | Do you remember | 你记不记得 |
[34:55] | seeing the sign, hacked or not? | 看见这块路标 不论它是否被黑 |
[35:04] | No. | 不 |
[35:06] | I don’t remember seeing it. | 我不记得看到过那个指示牌 |
[35:08] | Then it doesn’t matter if the sign was hacked. | 所以 指示牌到底有没有被黑根本不重要 |
[35:20] | All right, this is the fun part. | 终于到了有趣的环节了 |
[35:22] | Right. The circus act. | 是的 马戏团表演开场了 |
[35:24] | It’s psychology, not a parade of elephants. | 这是心理学 不是什么大象游行 |
[35:27] | It’s just the closing argument. | 只是结案陈词而已 |
[35:29] | You can do this. | 你能做到的 |
[35:31] | You want me | 你想让我 |
[35:32] | to lure the jury into a trap. | 把陪审团引进圈套 |
[35:34] | That’s a little bit like a circus. | 听上去还是像马戏团 |
[35:36] | Follow my lead. | 跟着我做 |
[35:38] | The prosecution argues that the hacked sign doesn’t matter… | 检方认为被黑掉的指示牌并不重要… |
[35:41] | The prosecution argues that | 检方认为 |
[35:42] | the hacked sign doesn’t matter. | 被黑掉的指示牌并不重要 |
[35:44] | Because John didn’t see it. | 因为约翰根本就没看见 |
[35:45] | Because John didn’t see it. | 因为约翰根本就没看见 |
[35:47] | And if he had seen it, well, obviously, | 如果他当时看到了的话 很显然 |
[35:50] | he would have remembered it. | 他一定会有印象 |
[35:52] | Right? | 对吗 |
[35:53] | Wrong. | 错了 |
[35:55] | Our brains take in thousands of pieces | 我们的大脑 每分钟都在处理 |
[35:58] | of information every minute, and our brains have to | 成千上万条信息 |
[36:01] | unconsciously make choices. | 并无意识的根据这些信息作出相应的决定 |
[36:02] | Unconsciously make choices. | 无意识的根据这些信息作出相应的决定 |
[36:04] | And we focus on what matters. | 我们只会关注重要的信息 |
[36:05] | We focus on what matters. | 我们只会关注重要的信息 |
[36:06] | A sign that says “No Need to Read”? | 一个写着”没必要读了”的指示牌 |
[36:10] | Well, it doesn’t matter. | 那么 它就是无关紧要的 |
[36:12] | Still, I understand that maybe you don’t believe me. | 尽管如此 我知道也许你们并不相信我说的 |
[36:18] | And I figured… this is too important a detail | 但我觉得 这个细节太重要了 |
[36:21] | to just take on faith. | 你们也不该就这么无条件的相信我的话 |
[36:24] | So this morning, | 所以 今早 |
[36:25] | I actually removed a sign from this courtroom. | 我把这间法庭里的一个指示牌搬走了 |
[36:29] | It was big, | 我搬走的那块指示牌很大 |
[36:31] | and it was noticeable, | 很醒目 |
[36:34] | and it’s been on that wall | 在整场审讯期间 |
[36:36] | for the entire length of this trial. | 一直挂在那面墙上 |
[36:38] | So, can anyone tell me what it said? | 现在 有谁能告诉我 指示牌上写了什么吗 |
[36:44] | Nobody? | 没人知道吗 |
[36:46] | How can you be sure they won’t remember? | 你怎么能确定 他们会不记得指示牌的内容呢 |
[36:51] | Okay, right. I should have learned | 好吧 到现在 我该学着 |
[36:53] | to trust you and your witchcraft by now. | 相信你和你的魔法了 |
[36:56] | It’s not witchcraft. | 这不是魔法 |
[36:58] | It’s science. | 这是科学 |
[37:00] | John read that road sign | 约翰看路上那块指示牌的方式 |
[37:03] | the way you all read that courtroom sign, | 和你们看法庭里的那块指示牌是一样的 |
[37:05] | but he dismissed it, just like you did, | 但他选择视而不见 就跟你们所有人一样 |
[37:08] | because it wasn’t relevant. | 因为这根本无关紧要 |
[37:13] | Just like this one. | 就跟这块指示牌一样 |
[37:15] | “A court officer must be present at all times.” | “审讯期间 法警必须随时在场” |
[37:18] | Mr. Foster, I’d appreciate it | 如果你现在把我的指示牌放回来 |
[37:20] | if you would return my sign now. | 福斯特先生 我会很感激 |
[37:23] | Of course, but this | 当然 只是 |
[37:25] | wasn’t actually a sign that was on the wall. | 这根本不是之前挂在墙上的那块指示牌 |
[37:29] | This was. | 这块才是 |
[37:30] | 开庭中 早9点-11点30分 11点15分之后禁止进入 下午2点-4点 3点30分之后禁止进入 需要出庭的人必须准时或提前出席 | |
[37:31] | Objection. Clearly misleading the jury, | 反对 辩方明显在误导陪审团 |
[37:33] | Judge Bergen. | 卑尔根法官大人 |
[37:34] | That’s my point, Mr. Mercado. | 这正是我要说的重点 梅尔卡多先生 |
[37:36] | It’s relevant to our case. | 这跟我们的案子有密切的联系 |
[37:37] | Mr. Foster, put back the sign. | 福斯特先生 把指示牌放回去 |
[37:40] | Absolutely, Your Honor. | 一定 法官大人 |
[37:44] | The point is, | 我想说的是 |
[37:45] | they weren’t relevant. | 指示牌上的信息并不重要 |
[37:46] | They weren’t relevant. | 指示牌上的信息并不重要 |
[37:47] | So you had no memory of seeing them, | 所以 你不记得到底是见过 |
[37:51] | or not seeing them. | 或是没见过这些指示牌 |
[37:55] | Just… | 就跟… |
[37:57] | like… John. | 约翰一样 |
[38:05] | – And I can assure you, – I can assure you, | – 我敢保证 – 我敢保证 |
[38:07] | had that road sign said something relevant, | 如果那块道路指示牌上写的是重要的信息 |
[38:11] | had it said, “Slow: | 如果上面写的是 “慢行 |
[38:12] | congestion ahead,” Well, | 前方拥堵” 那么 |
[38:16] | John would have remembered it, and reacted. | 约翰一定会有印象 他会做出应对 |
[38:26] | It would have saved Karen’s | 这块指示牌就能救下凯伦的 |
[38:27] | It would have saved Karen’s | 这块指示牌就能救下凯伦的 |
[38:29] | life. | 性命 |
[38:52] | This is 107.4 | 这里是调频107点4兆赫 |
[38:54] | with your hourly news update. | 为您带来每小时最新新闻 |
[38:55] | An acquittal today in the John Phillips manslaughter case | 今日 约翰·菲利普斯涉嫌过失杀害妻子凯伦一案宣判 |
[38:57] | involving the death of his wife Karen. | 约翰·菲利普斯被无罪释放 |
[38:59] | The case proceedings | 这件案子的审理 |
[39:00] | may have opened up further legal action… | 可能会引发更多法律诉讼… |
[39:02] | Hey. I owe you… A lot. | 我欠你… 太多了 |
[39:07] | I told you, I’m already collecting from Judge Lamkin. | 我说过 我已经从法官拉姆金身上拿到报酬了 |
[39:09] | Now, there is one thing you, uh, you need to do. | 现在 你需要做的事 只有一件 |
[39:15] | Just tell me I don’t have to reenact my fight with the coach. | 别告诉我 我还得再和教练吵一架吧 |
[39:18] | Oh, I’m not gonna make you do that. | 我不会让你做这种事的 |
[39:21] | You just have to admit Karen was right. | 你只需要承认凯伦是对的 |
[39:23] | She knew the secret. | 她也知道卡特生病这个秘密 |
[39:25] | Instead of hiding how Carter’s different, maybe it’s better | 比起隐瞒卡特的病况 也许 |
[39:29] | to embrace it. | 接受现实会更好一些 |
[39:31] | He doesn’t have | 他不用非得 |
[39:32] | to hit home runs to be happy. | 打出全垒打才能开心 |
[39:34] | That was Daddy’s joy. | 这是当爹的乐趣 |
[39:36] | He wants to make you proud. | 他想让你为他感到骄傲 |
[39:38] | He doesn’t have to. | 他不用做这些的 |
[39:39] | We know that, but does he? | 我们明白这点 但他呢 |
[39:41] | Dad! | 爸爸 |
[39:43] | Hey. Did you see my stance? | 你看到我的击球准备姿势了吗 |
[39:45] | Yeah. | 看到了 |
[39:46] | Buddy, you looked great. | 小子 你看上去棒极了 |
[39:48] | So, what about this batter? | 这个击球手怎么样 |
[39:50] | What’s his average? | 他的击球率有多少 |
[39:51] | .310, but his OBP is better. | .310 他的上垒率要好一点 |
[39:54] | .415 for home games, and his slugging is .523. | 主场比赛上垒率.415 长打率.523 |
[39:58] | Awesome, right? | 他很棒 你说呢 |
[39:59] | Yeah. Covered in awesome sauce. | 是的 太厉害了 |
[40:01] | All right, I’ll see you later. | 好吧 再见 |
[40:04] | So, uh, what are the pitcher’s stats? | 这个投手的统计数据怎么样 |
[40:07] | He’s pretty good. I mean… | 他很棒 我是说… |
[40:09] | – The batter? – He’s not a | – 击球手呢 – 他在场上 |
[40:10] | stick in the ground, either. | 也非常活跃 |
[40:12] | Player over there looks pretty tough. | 对手看上去挺强的 |
[40:14] | That one’s good. | 那个人很棒 |
[40:15] | 特雷弗·多姆特 竞选州议员 | |
[40:19] | Here it comes. Oh, yeah. | 披萨来了 太好了 |
[40:22] | Mmm, mmm, mmm! | 闻着真香 |
[40:24] | You guys got pineapple again? | 你们又点了菠萝味的吗 |
[40:26] | Stop focusing on the details, Chunk. | 特朗科 不要在意这些细节 |
[40:28] | I could focus on the details | 如果这细节不是被菠萝包围了 |
[40:30] | if they weren’t covered in pineapple. | 我倒是可以在乎一下 |
[40:31] | Ooh, hot! Ooh! | 啊 好烫 |
[40:33] | There it is. | 快看新闻 |
[40:35] | Boo! | 嘘 |
[40:38] | So how’s your ex-husband? | 你前夫怎么样了 |
[40:41] | It’s tricky business, rekindling with Greg. | 跟格雷格重温旧情 是件棘手的事情 |
[40:44] | Who told you? | 谁告诉你的 |
[40:46] | You did. | 你自己 |
[40:48] | You wore three different shades of green this week. | 这周你一共穿了三条不同绿色的连衣裙 |
[40:50] | That was his favorite color. | 而绿色是他最喜欢的颜色 |
[40:52] | Haven’t worn green in a long time. | 你已经很久没有穿过绿色的衣服了 |
[40:56] | I know it’s probably a bad idea, | 我知道这也许是个坏主意 |
[40:58] | and I promise I won’t come to you again | 我保证 如果事情变得糟糕 |
[41:00] | when things go south… | 我不会再来找你诉苦… |
[41:03] | You can always come to me. | 我的大门永远为你敞开 |
[41:06] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:08] | Hey, guys, check this out. | 各位 来看看这个 |
[41:10] | Have you seen this billboard? | 你们看到外面的广告牌了吗 |
[41:14] | Judge Lamkin? | 法官拉姆金 |
[41:14] | 法官拉姆金 竞选州议员 | |
[41:15] | She’s running against Dormit in the next election. | 下届选举 她和多姆特成为对手了 |
[41:17] | That’s amazing. | 太好了 |
[41:18] | 法官拉姆金 竞选州议员 | |
[41:18] | – Awesome. – Look at that. | – 真了不起 – 快看 |
[41:19] | Wasn’t that a billboard for Dormit? | 这本来不是多姆特的广告牌吗 |
[41:21] | Austin’s not the only hacker around here. | 奥斯汀可不是这里唯一的黑客 |