时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:05] | I hope you’re all enjoying the view here at Withrow Midtown. | 希望你们喜欢威斯罗市中心区的美景 |
[00:08] | Andrew Withrow, my big boss, | 我的老板安德鲁·威斯罗 |
[00:11] | has built over 30 buildings, | 建造了三十多栋大楼 |
[00:13] | all cutting edge design. | 都采用的是最先进的设计 |
[00:14] | But he also loves the history of our city, | 但他也很喜欢我们城市的历史 |
[00:17] | and tries to incorporate elements from that | 并且尝试将这些元素 |
[00:19] | as well as his own humble beginnings. | 以及他的卑微出身融合进来 |
[00:24] | Like these skybridges, | 这些天桥 |
[00:25] | which have been around since the 19th century. | 起初建造于十九世纪 |
[00:28] | Andrew Withrow actually put a skybridge | 安德鲁·威斯罗在五十九层的高处 |
[00:31] | in the sky, 59 stories up. | 建造了一座真正的天空之桥 |
[00:33] | You’ll notice that the skybridge is being suspended by… | 不难发现 天桥悬空在… |
[00:58] | Billionaire developer Andrew Withrow | 亿万富豪开发商安德鲁·威斯罗 |
[01:00] | formally charged 15 counts of manslaughter. | 被以十五宗过失杀人罪正式起诉 |
[01:04] | The structure collapse last October… | 去年十月崩塌的建筑… |
[01:06] | Eight seconds on the clock, | 仅仅八秒时间 |
[01:08] | fourth down and it’s all tied up. | 我就发起了第四次进攻 让你焦头烂额 |
[01:10] | It call comes down to this. | 最终是这个局面 |
[01:12] | Just flick it already. | 赶紧弹过来吧 |
[01:17] | And he scores. | 他得分了 |
[01:19] | With authority. | 得分有效 |
[01:21] | This game is an insult to football. | 这游戏简直是对足球的侮辱 |
[01:23] | Maybe the way you play it. | 你玩得太菜才是侮辱 |
[01:25] | An assistant U.S. Attorney | 一位助理检察官 |
[01:27] | wants to talk with us. | 想跟我们谈谈 |
[01:28] | Says he’s in danger of losing a case. | 他说自己有输掉官司的危险 |
[01:30] | Thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[01:31] | Careful, he’s bored. | 小心点 他很无聊 |
[01:34] | You know that was fun. | 游戏明明很有趣 |
[01:35] | What if I said that you could help put the most powerful | 如果我说 你可以帮忙将纽约 |
[01:38] | New York real estate developer in jail? | 最具实力的地产商关进监狱 你怎么办 |
[01:41] | Andrew Withrow. | 安德鲁·威斯罗 |
[01:42] | Andrew Withrow owns this building. | 安德鲁·威斯罗是这栋楼的业主 |
[01:44] | Is that how you know him? | 所以你认识他吗 |
[01:46] | Never met him. | 从没见过他 |
[01:47] | But… | 但是… |
[01:49] | We were at a charity auction a few years ago | 几年前我们一起参加一个慈善拍卖 |
[01:51] | both bidding on the same item, | 对同一个物品竞价 |
[01:52] | the flight log from Charles Lindbergh’s | 是查尔斯·林德伯格第一次 |
[01:55] | first trans-Atlantic crossing. | 飞越大西洋的飞行日志 |
[01:56] | – Withrow outbid you. – Seven times. | – 威斯罗出价比你高 – 七次 |
[01:59] | At a certain point I just wanted to see how high he’d go. | 到后来我只是想看看 他到底会出多少价 |
[02:01] | And he won. | 然后他赢了 |
[02:02] | But the next day, | 但是第二天 |
[02:03] | he sent me the flight log | 他把日志给我送了过来 |
[02:05] | with a very nice handwritten note | 写了一张字迹漂亮的便条 |
[02:07] | saying he didn’t want it after all. | 说他其实不想要它 |
[02:09] | And that’s bad. | 这怎么不好了 |
[02:10] | It’s just telling. | 这只是表明心迹 |
[02:11] | Needing to beat someone that much. | 想要重重击垮别人 |
[02:14] | Wanting to wield power over someone. | 想要逼迫他人让步 |
[02:17] | People call it micro-managing. | 人们称这是微观管理 |
[02:19] | I call it managing. | 我叫它管理 |
[02:21] | I mean, if-if I’m gonna put my name on it, | 我是说 如果我要签名 |
[02:23] | I need to know it was done right. | 我得确保它没有纰漏 |
[02:25] | I’m a builder and the brick stops here. | 我是个开发商 要承担责任 |
[02:28] | And I came up with the bad pun myself. | 这烂双关是我自己想的 |
[02:32] | – He’s charming. – Very. | – 他很有魅力 – 魅力非凡 |
[02:34] | – I know. – Is that why you think | – 我知道 – 所以你才觉得 |
[02:36] | you’re in danger of losing your case | 和他打官司 |
[02:37] | against him? | 有输掉的风险么 |
[02:39] | My boss thinks that. | 我的上级这么认为 |
[02:40] | Withrow has billions, | 威斯罗家财万贯 |
[02:42] | and he’s gonna spend every last dollar to make sure | 他会不惜倾家荡产 |
[02:44] | that he beats a manslaughter conviction. | 来摆脱过失杀人的罪名 |
[02:47] | Manslaughter, so you’ll need to prove | 过失杀人 所以你需要证明 |
[02:48] | Withrow was criminally negligent in building that skybridge. | 威斯罗在建造天桥的时候犯了过失罪 |
[02:52] | I’ve got it. | 我有证据 |
[02:53] | I have design documents. | 我有设计文件 |
[02:55] | There was an engineering flaw and he signed off on it. | 里面有一处工程缺陷 他在上面签名了 |
[02:58] | The billionaire scrimped on his flagship building | 亿万富翁就为了省一点小钱 |
[03:01] | to save a few bucks? | 而在他的旗舰大厦偷工减料 |
[03:03] | It wasn’t just money. | 不只是因为钱 |
[03:04] | It was time. | 还有时间 |
[03:05] | A tenant who leased 19 floors threatened to walk. | 一名租了十九层楼的租客威胁说要撤离 |
[03:07] | To delay would have cost tens of millions, | 拖延会造成数千万美金的损失 |
[03:09] | and the magnesium composite wasn’t ready in time. | 而且镁复合材料来不及准备 |
[03:12] | 15 people died because he was in a hurry. | 他着急赶工 以致十五人丧命 |
[03:15] | I’m going to nail him with his own signature. | 我要用他自己的签名 来给他定罪 |
[03:18] | Maybe, with the right jury. | 如果陪审团选的好 有可能 |
[03:20] | Let’s talk through your voir dire process. | 我们来谈谈你的预先审查程序 |
[03:23] | Voir dire? That was yesterday. | 预先审查 昨天就结束了 |
[03:25] | – What? – It’s okay. | – 什么 – 没关系的 |
[03:26] | We already empaneled a jury. | 我们已经选好陪审团了 |
[03:29] | Well, let’s talk about your suit. | 那我们来说说你的衣服 |
[03:32] | Chunk. | 特朗科 |
[03:34] | The jury selection is 90% of the ballgame. | 选择陪审团和球类运动很像 |
[03:37] | Deselection, actually. | 应该是剔除 |
[03:39] | Technically you can’t select a juror, | 严格来说 你不能挑选陪审员 |
[03:41] | only deselect the ones you don’t like. | 只能剔除那些你不喜欢的 |
[03:44] | Hey. Benny Colón. In-house counsel. | 嘿 本尼·科隆 公司内部律师 |
[03:45] | Benny Colón, sure. | 本尼·科隆 好吧 |
[03:47] | – Have we met? – No. | – 我们见过吗 – 没有 |
[03:49] | No, not in person. | 没 私下没见过 |
[03:50] | Assistant U.S. Attorney Olsen. | 检察官助理奥尔森 |
[03:52] | All right. | 好了 |
[03:54] | Let’s look at the bad news, shall we? | 让我们来看看坏消息吧 |
[03:56] | Seven jurors are firmly against us. | 七位陪审员坚决地反对我们 |
[03:58] | Seven. | 七位 |
[03:59] | Well, they haven’t heard my opening argument. | 他们还没听到我的开庭陈词呢 |
[04:01] | That’s why jury selection is so important. | 所以选择陪审团很重要 |
[04:03] | Our jurors have a lot different perspectives on this case. | 我们的陪审员对本案持有很多不同的看法 |
[04:05] | Take Jeremy, he has severe dyslexia. | 比如说杰里米 他有严重的读写困难症 |
[04:09] | Avoids reading whenever he can, | 他想尽办法避免阅读 |
[04:11] | which means that he won’t assume that just because | 所以他会觉得 即使威斯罗签了文件 |
[04:14] | Withrow signed a document, he’d actually read it. | 也不代表他一定读过了 |
[04:17] | And this is Bryan. | 这是布莱恩 |
[04:19] | He is so pro-Withrow that Withrow could drown | 他对威斯罗无条件赞同 即使威斯罗 |
[04:21] | a litter of puppies and he would still find reasonable doubt. | 淹死了一窝小狗 他也能找到合理怀疑 |
[04:24] | I picked him because he supported Occupy Wall Street. | 我选他是因为他支持占领华尔街 |
[04:27] | He hates suits. | 他讨厌权势 |
[04:28] | Mid-level managers, bureaucrats like… | 中层管理者 官僚主义 就像… |
[04:31] | You. | 你 |
[04:32] | But he admires billionaires. | 但是他欣赏亿万富翁 |
[04:34] | We have to find a narrative that appeals | 我们得找到一个 可以打动 |
[04:35] | to both Jeremy and Bryan. | 杰里米和布莱恩的叙事点 |
[04:37] | They both like that Withrow is a self-made man. | 他们都喜欢威斯罗白手起家这一点 |
[04:40] | When he came to New York he had nothing. | 他初来纽约的时候一无所有 |
[04:42] | They see his humble roots as evidence | 他们将他的谦虚视为 |
[04:44] | of hard work and authenticity. | 努力工作和为人可靠的标志 |
[04:45] | The accent | 口音 |
[04:47] | gives him credibility | 给他带来了可信度 |
[04:48] | and about 20% more charm. | 还增加了大概百分之二十的魅力 |
[04:50] | Another things they like about him, ironically, | 讽刺的是 他还有一点深受他们欣赏 |
[04:52] | he is seen as someone who takes responsibility. | 他被看成是敢作敢当的人 |
[04:54] | Wait a second. | 等等 |
[04:56] | That interview. | 那次采访 |
[04:58] | The brick stops here. | 要承担责任 |
[05:00] | That’s our narrative, taking responsibility. | 这就是我们的叙事点 负责 |
[05:03] | Because Withrow’s brand is being involved at every step, | 因为每一个环节都牵涉到威斯罗的名声 |
[05:05] | so we argue he must have read the design documents. | 所以我们可以主张 他肯定读过设计文档 |
[05:08] | Okay, Marissa, keep digging. | 好的 玛丽莎 接着调查 |
[05:10] | Let’s exhume every one of those jurors. | 所有陪审员都要彻底调查 |
[05:14] | Time to meet the man of the hour. | 是时候去会会风云人物了 |
[05:18] | You’re testing the bounds | 你这是在挑战 |
[05:19] | of my five minute rule, counsel. | 我五分钟规则的底线 律师 |
[05:22] | Where’s your client? | 你的客户呢 |
[05:25] | Her heart? | 她的心脏 |
[05:27] | Call me when you hear. | 有消息了打给我 |
[05:31] | Judge Levy, I’m sorry. | 利维法官 很抱歉 |
[05:32] | My mother was just taken to Sacred Heart Hospital. | 我母亲刚刚被送去了圣心医院 |
[05:36] | Uh, Your Honor, we respectfully ask to delay opening statements. | 法官大人 我们请求延迟开庭陈述 |
[05:39] | Just a day or so. | 一天左右就行 |
[05:43] | She’s 82, Your Honor. | 她已经八十二岁了 法官大人 |
[05:45] | We’re adjourned for 48 hours. | 我们休庭四十八小时 |
[05:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:51] | Mr. Withrow. | 威斯罗先生 |
[05:54] | I have to tell you I’m working | 我得告诉你 我此次 |
[05:56] | with the U.S. Attorney’s office on this case. | 和联邦检察官办公室合作此案 |
[05:59] | Nice to meet you, Mr… | 很高兴认识你 你是… |
[06:03] | Dr. Jason Bull. | 杰森·布尔博士 |
[06:05] | How’s your mother? | 你的母亲怎么样了 |
[06:06] | I hope she’s all right. | 我希望她平安无事 |
[06:07] | It’s hard. | 这很难受 |
[06:09] | Especially after this whole tragedy with the skybridge. | 尤其是在这场天桥悲剧发生之后 |
[06:15] | Thank you. | 多谢关心 |
[06:20] | What was that? | 发生了什么 |
[06:22] | Andrew Withrow’s sorrow about the skybridge deaths | 安德鲁·威斯罗对天桥死难者的悲伤来得 |
[06:25] | was a fraction slow. | 慢了半拍 |
[06:26] | The emotion showed on his face a second late. | 他脸上的煽情表演迟来了片刻 |
[06:30] | So? | 所以 |
[06:31] | Explains a lot. | 这解释了很多事 |
[06:32] | Have Danny look into Sacred Heart. | 派丹尼去调查圣心医院 |
[06:34] | That’s where Withrow’s mother is. | 也就是威斯罗妈妈入住的医院 |
[06:45] | Okay, yeah. | 好的 好 |
[06:48] | Thanks, Danny. | 谢了 丹尼 |
[06:50] | So two days ago Withrow’s mother was admitted | 所以两天前的上午威斯罗的妈妈 |
[06:53] | to Sacred Heart Hospital in the morning, | 来到圣心医院接受治疗 |
[06:56] | and released two hours later. | 不过两个小时后就出院了 |
[06:59] | He stalled | 他故意拖延时间 |
[07:00] | because the U.S. Attorney’s office brought me in, | 因为联邦检察官办公室让我参与了进来 |
[07:02] | but what’s his move? | 可他到底在耍什么花招 |
[07:05] | Hey, there, Dr. Bull. | 嗨 布尔博士 |
[07:07] | You miss me? | 想我了吗 |
[07:10] | Why, Diana Lindsay. | 哎呀 黛安娜·琳赛 |
[07:13] | What happened to your lovely Southern accent? | 你迷人的南方口音哪去了 |
[07:16] | Left it in Texas. | 我把它留在德克萨斯了 |
[07:17] | I didn’t know you did criminal law. | 我不知道你还经手刑事案件 |
[07:19] | Oh, come on, Jason. You should know by now, | 哦 得了 杰森 你到现在总该明白 |
[07:21] | I am full of surprises. | 我这人总是出人意料 |
[07:24] | I hate surprises. | 讨厌意料之外 |
[07:26] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[07:30] | Good morning, Your Honor. | 早上好 法官大人 |
[07:32] | I’m pleased to introduce | 很高兴提交 |
[07:33] | my excellent new representation, | 我的最新陈词 |
[07:35] | the woman who will prove my innocence, | 这位女士将会证明我的清白 |
[07:37] | Diana Lindsay, Esquire. | 黛安娜·琳赛 封面律师 |
[07:39] | No need for the formal presentation, Mr. Withrow. | 我看没必要正式陈词了 威斯罗先生 |
[07:42] | This isn’t a beauty pageant. | 这又不是在选美 |
[07:43] | I assure you, Judge Levy, I have never been | 我向您保证 利维法官 我从未 |
[07:46] | in a beauty pageant, and a courtroom | 参加过选美比赛 何况法庭 |
[07:48] | is no place for pageantry. | 也不是选美的地方 |
[07:49] | Good to hear. | 很高兴听到你这样说 |
[07:51] | Now let’s get to work. | 现在让我们回到这件案子上 |
[07:53] | Opening statements, Mr. Olsen. | 请开始你的开庭陈词 奥尔森先生 |
[07:59] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[08:01] | I’m Assistant U.S. Attorney | 我是联邦检察官办公室的助理律师 |
[08:04] | Dennis Olsen. | 丹尼斯·奥尔森 |
[08:05] | I’m here to talk about | 我来此是为说明 |
[08:07] | the tragic deaths… | 这场人命惨剧… |
[08:08] | I like your shoes. | 我喜欢你的鞋子 |
[08:10] | That’s a tough jury in there. | 陪审团很棘手啊 |
[08:14] | Good opening statement. | 开庭陈词不错 |
[08:16] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:17] | And your guy, Olsen, he’s a bit stiff. | 不过你的同伴 奥尔森 他有点拘束 |
[08:20] | It was smart of the U.S. Attorney to bring you on. | 联邦检察官办公室让你来是明智的选择 |
[08:22] | Almost as smart as Withrow bringing you on. | 几乎和威斯罗请你来一样明智 |
[08:25] | He did his homework on you. | 他可做了你不少功课 |
[08:27] | You, too. | 你也是 |
[08:29] | – Don’t flatter yourself. – Oh, yeah. | – 别自我陶醉了 – 哦 是嘛 |
[08:30] | You’re right. | 你说的对 |
[08:32] | You don’t like me at all. | 你对我根本不感冒 |
[08:35] | Well, I’m still gonna have to beat you… again. | 不管怎样 我还是会打败你 而且是再一次 |
[08:38] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:42] | New York City isn’t Callisto, Texas. | 纽约市可不是德克萨斯州的卡利斯托 |
[08:46] | You’re on my turf this time. | 你这次是在我的地盘 |
[08:47] | Funny. I thought it was Withrow’s turf. | 真有趣 我以为是在威斯罗的地盘 |
[08:51] | He owns your building, too, I understand. | 据我所知 你的办公楼也是他的 |
[08:54] | I do love your overconfidence. | 我真喜欢你的自负 |
[08:57] | You know you’re representing a sociopath? | 你知道你的客户反社会吗 |
[08:59] | Hey, how’s your mother? | 嗨 你的母亲怎么样了 |
[09:00] | Uh, Dr. Bull, right? | 呃 你是布尔博士对吗 |
[09:03] | – Yeah. – Yeah, she’s much better, thanks. | – 没错 – 是啊 她好多了 谢谢 |
[09:06] | I’m glad to hear that. | 真高兴听到这个消息 |
[09:07] | Diana. | 黛安娜 |
[09:08] | It’s always a pleasure. | 和你交手总是荣幸之至 |
[09:10] | Oh, you two know each other. | 哦 你们两个认识 |
[09:14] | I’ll let you take that. | 你接你的电话好了 |
[09:18] | Yeah. | 是我 |
[09:19] | Bull, we were in the middle | 布尔 我们正在 |
[09:21] | of uploading the data of our mirror jury, | 升级镜面陪审团的数据 |
[09:22] | when the power went out. | 突然就断电了 |
[09:24] | We are stone cold dark here. | 这里简直黑透了 |
[09:26] | First day of trial. | 庭审第一天 |
[09:27] | What a coincidence. | 真巧 |
[09:29] | And Withrow owns our building. | 我们的办公楼就是威斯罗的 |
[09:32] | Come on, let’s go. | 来 我们走 |
[09:33] | So, the first move goes to Withrow. | 也就是说 威斯罗先出一招 |
[09:37] | Now it’s my turn. | 现在轮到我了 |
[09:47] | Still no luck getting the power on. | 还是没法通上电 |
[09:49] | 全球最佳房地产投资 财富杂志 年度风云人物 安德鲁·威斯罗 白手起家的传奇历程 | |
[09:51] | You really think Andrew Withrow, | 你真认为安德鲁·威斯罗 |
[09:53] | the richest developer in this city is a sociopath? | 这座城市最有钱的开发商是一位反社会者 |
[09:56] | Oh, yeah. | 哦 确实如此 |
[09:57] | Most people think of heartless killers when they hear the term, | 大多数人对这个词的印象都是冷血杀手 |
[10:00] | but 95% of sociopaths | 可事实上百分之九十五的反社会者 |
[10:02] | are highly successful in all kinds of careers. | 都在各个领域获得了极大的成功 |
[10:05] | Lack of empathy allows them to excel. | 缺乏同情心反而让他们脱颖而出 |
[10:08] | But he seemed affected when he was talking | 可是他在说起建筑倒塌的时候 |
[10:09] | about the building collapse. | 看起来确实很受触动 |
[10:10] | Withrow learned to mimic emotion. | 威斯罗学会了假装动情 |
[10:13] | When I asked him about the deaths in his building, | 当我和他提起他建的大楼里死去的人时 |
[10:16] | his micro expressions… | 他装出的面部表情… |
[10:18] | the slight wincing of his eye muscles, | 眼肌微微皱起 |
[10:20] | the convex furrow of his left brow, | 左额浮起皱纹 |
[10:21] | and the f-f-forced micro stutter, | 还有勉勉勉强做出的结巴 |
[10:24] | they all came a hair late, | 可是都表现得晚了一点点 |
[10:26] | and not in perfect unison. | 没能做到步调一致 |
[10:28] | It was mimicry, not sympathy. | 这是在模仿 不是在同情 |
[10:32] | It was a good tactic, | 这是个好策略 |
[10:34] | bringing in Diana. | 把黛安娜拉了进来 |
[10:38] | What? | 怎么 |
[10:40] | Nobody said anything | 就没人说起 |
[10:41] | about Diana’s bewitching effect on you. | 黛安娜把你迷倒了的事情吗 |
[10:43] | I certainly didn’t. | 我肯定没说 |
[10:49] | Cable, what’s going on with my generator? | 凯博 发电机修得怎么样了 |
[10:51] | Hey, we’re working on it. Foley? | 嘿 我们在努力修它 福利 |
[10:53] | I pulled a favor, because people like me, | 我要去赶派对了 我可是万人迷 |
[10:57] | and a backup generator will be here tomorrow afternoon-ish. | 备用发电机明天下午时候就能到这 |
[11:00] | We need the power on today, Foley. | 我们需要今天就恢复电力 福利 |
[11:04] | And I need to lose ten pounds, | 是啊 我还需要减十磅呢 |
[11:06] | Dr. Bull, but not today. | 布尔博士 不过不是今天 |
[11:12] | It’s a good thing people like you. | 做个万人迷真好 |
[11:14] | All right, we’ll work at my place. | 好吧 大家去我那工作 |
[11:16] | Your apartment? | 你自己的公寓 |
[11:17] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:26] | Pretty sparsely furnished. | 家居真是与众不同啊 |
[11:34] | What’s below minimalist? | 比极简主义者还极简的人叫做什么 |
[11:35] | Anyone want bagels? | 有人想吃硬面包圈吗 |
[11:40] | You can set up in the living room. | 你们可以在客厅吃 |
[11:42] | Withrow can’t stop TAC. | 威斯罗阻止不了庭审分析公司 |
[11:44] | Chunk, check it out. | 特朗科 快去看 |
[11:45] | I got a new plant. | 我搞到了一株新植物 |
[11:47] | Behind you. | 就在你身后 |
[11:49] | Yeah, really ties the place together. | 是啊 真的让整个地方融为一体了呢 |
[11:53] | Thanks, man. | 谢了 哥们 |
[11:56] | How are you gonna deal with Withrow? | 你打算怎么对付威斯罗 |
[11:59] | Diana’s never gonna put him on the stand. | 黛安娜永远不会把他摆上证人席 |
[12:02] | That would be a bad move. | 因为那样做并不明智 |
[12:03] | What even is her strategy? | 她到底有什么策略 |
[12:05] | Find a large bus, throw a Withrow employee underneath it, | 找个挡箭牌 然后把威斯罗藏在后面 |
[12:09] | and then your problem is solved. | 问题就解决了 |
[12:11] | Blame an underling. Got it. | 找个下属当替罪羊 懂了 |
[12:13] | Um, the project manager is the most likely road kill. | 让项目经理背锅最容易了 |
[12:17] | – Sean Laheri. – All right. Let’s see | – 肖恩·拉赫利 – 好的 让我们看看 |
[12:19] | if someone with a personality can get through to him. | 有没有哪位精明强干之士能把他找到 |
[12:22] | I’m texting Danny now. | 我已经在给丹尼发短信了 |
[12:24] | And, Chunk, our attorney, | 还有 特朗科 我们的律师 |
[12:26] | Olsen, reads pretty bland. | 奥尔森 太照本宣科了 |
[12:27] | See if you can sharpen him up. | 看你有没有办法让他露出些锋芒 |
[12:29] | I’ll put the sexy in skybridge. | 我会把这位帅哥送上天桥的 |
[12:32] | And where are you going? | 你去哪 |
[12:34] | Turn the power back on. | 我去恢复电力 |
[12:36] | So where does that leave us? | 所以那是在什么地方离开我们的 |
[12:37] | How long till we’ve got to get back in there? | 我们返回那里还要多久 |
[12:39] | Five, ten minutes? | 五分钟 也许要十分钟 |
[12:40] | Andrew, you know, it’s the oddest thing. | 安德鲁 说来奇怪 |
[12:42] | I am a tenant in one of your buildings. | 我是你其中一座建筑的业主 |
[12:45] | Really? I hope you’re enjoying it. | 真的吗 我希望你喜欢 |
[12:47] | Well, I was, | 没错 |
[12:48] | until the power went out, and that was strange. | 在它莫名其妙断电之前我是很喜欢 |
[12:51] | You haven’t heard anything about it, have you? | 你还没听说这件事吧 |
[12:53] | Sorry. I own over 60 buildings in New York. | 抱歉 我在纽约大概有六十多座大楼 |
[12:56] | My people don’t always share the details. | 我的员工不经常跟我讲这些细节 |
[12:59] | Hmm, I thought you were more of a hands-on guy. | 我还以为你是那种喜欢亲力亲为的人 |
[13:03] | Must be a common misperception. | 肯定是一个普遍的误解吧 |
[13:04] | No, no, I’ll get to the bottom of this. | 不 不 我会查清楚这件事的 |
[13:05] | Thank you for bringing it to my attention. | 谢谢你提醒我 |
[13:08] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[13:13] | So, what’s his tell? Well, you got him | 所以 你看出了什么 |
[13:16] | to lie to you so you could read his tell. | 你让他向你撒谎就是为了分析他 |
[13:17] | I just want my power back on. | 我只是想恢复供电而已 |
[13:19] | Withrow doesn’t have a tell, does he? | 他没什么故事 不是吗 |
[13:21] | What do you think that means? | 你觉得这意味着什么呢 |
[13:22] | He’s telling the truth? | 他在讲实话 |
[13:25] | Or he’s a sociopath. | 也有可能因为他是一个反社会的人 |
[13:27] | You would say or do anything to win this trial. | 为了赢这个案子你还真是说什么都行 |
[13:30] | So would you. | 你不也一样 |
[13:33] | Let the games begin. | 好戏要上演了 |
[13:48] | Is it me, or does the gallery look a little empty? | 是我看错了 还是旁听席真的有点空荡 |
[13:50] | Hmm. Almost as if it’s missing… | 看起来好像正好 |
[13:54] | the 12 mirror jurors. | 缺了十二个镜面陪审员呢 |
[13:57] | How much did it cost to buy them off? | 收买他们花了多少钱 |
[13:59] | Well, I wouldn’t know. | 我怎么知道 |
[14:00] | Oh, but the price of 12-person luxury bus | 但是去大西洋城的十二人 |
[14:04] | to Atlantic City… now that I might know. | 豪华巴士旅行应该够了吧 |
[14:08] | As a civil engineer with 20 plus | 作为一个有着二十年以上 |
[14:10] | years of experience, can you please explain | 经验的土木工程师 能请您 |
[14:12] | to the court what went wrong | 向法庭解释一下 |
[14:14] | with the skybridge at Withrow Midtown? | 威斯罗市中心的天桥发生了哪些问题吗 |
[14:16] | When this first support failed, | 当第一根支撑物断裂的时候 |
[14:19] | the load that it was bearing | 它所承载的重量 |
[14:21] | was passed on to the neighboring supports, | 分散到临近的支撑物上 |
[14:23] | and it’s called the “Zipper Effect.” | 这个现象叫做”拉链效应” |
[14:25] | And like a zipper unzipping, | 就好像拉开拉链的过程 |
[14:26] | as each one overloaded, | 每一根支撑物的负荷过重 |
[14:29] | it cascaded down. | 它就会一根一根掉下来 |
[14:31] | And why did that first support fail? | 那为什么第一根支撑物会断裂呢 |
[14:32] | Cheaper construction | 由于使用了 |
[14:34] | materials allowed the support to wear away with time. | 廉价的建筑材料使得支撑物随着时间磨损 |
[14:38] | Who authorized the use of cheaper materials? | 是谁授权使用了廉价的建筑材料 |
[14:41] | Mr. Withrow. | 威斯罗先生 |
[14:42] | He personally signed off on all designs and materials. | 他亲自签署了所有的设计和材料 |
[14:46] | Nothing further. | 没有别的问题了 |
[14:51] | You don’t get to be as powerful as Withrow | 如果你不打破规则的话 |
[14:53] | without breaking the rules. | 你永远不可能像威斯罗先生那样强大 |
[14:54] | Prosecution says that Mr. Withrow | 控方表明 威斯罗先生 |
[14:57] | knowingly and willfully | 明知且故意地 |
[14:59] | allowed a design flaw | 允许了一个设计缺陷 |
[15:00] | just because his signature was on a document. | 仅仅是因为他的签名出现在一份文件上 |
[15:03] | Your Honor, I would like to submit into evidence | 法官大人 我方提供安德鲁 威斯罗一个月内 |
[15:05] | one month of signatures in Andrew Withrow’s world. | 所有签署过的文件作为证据 |
[15:28] | Is it possible | 威斯罗先生 |
[15:29] | that the size of Mr. Withrow’s company would create the need | 拥有这么庞大的公司 他有的时候是不是 |
[15:33] | for him to rely on his employees? | 需要依靠他的员工呢 |
[15:35] | He couldn’t possibly keep track | 这么多文件 |
[15:37] | of all of these documents himself, so, | 他不可能每一份都知道的详详细细 |
[15:39] | he delegated. | 所以他委托给了员工 |
[15:40] | Perhaps to his project manager, Sean Laheri. | 有可能是他的项目管理人 肖恩·拉赫利 |
[15:43] | I really don’t know… | 这我就不知道了 |
[15:44] | That’s outside the scope of my expertise. | 这超出了我专业的范围 |
[15:48] | I see why Withrow | 我明白威斯罗先生 |
[15:49] | brought the defense attorney in. | 为什么要用这位辩护律师了 |
[15:51] | She’s hot. | 她真性感 |
[15:53] | We move to strike | 我们请求排除 |
[15:54] | Juror Number Seven. | 七号陪审员 |
[15:56] | We found a Reddit thread where he bragged | 我们发现他在社交网络上 |
[15:57] | about smoking marijuana every day before court. | 炫耀他每天都在开庭前吸食大麻 |
[15:59] | Your Honor, this is clearly | 法官大人 |
[16:01] | a move by their jury consultant | 这肯定是他们的庭审顾问 |
[16:03] | to change the jury. | 想要替换陪审员的策略 |
[16:04] | Let’s hear from Juror Number Seven. | 我们来听听七号陪审员怎么说 |
[16:06] | Bryan? | 布莱恩 |
[16:10] | Smoking? Me? | 吸毒 我吗 |
[16:12] | Here? | 在这里 |
[16:14] | Reddit. That’s, um… | 红迪网 那是… |
[16:16] | That’s the, uh… | 那是一个… |
[16:20] | Uh, what was the question? | 您问什么来着 |
[16:22] | Motion to strike granted. | 准许排除 |
[16:27] | It’s time we got it back on. | 轮到我们赢了 |
[16:29] | The power in TAC. | 庭审分析公司的力量 |
[16:40] | Beg your pardon, Your Honor, | 抱歉打断您 法官大人 |
[16:41] | but before we continue, we must move to strike | 在我们开始之前 我方请求排除 |
[16:43] | Juror Number Three. | 三号陪审员 |
[16:45] | She was overheard | 有人无意中听到 |
[16:46] | calling Mr. Withrow names. | 她在骂威斯罗先生 |
[16:48] | Marissa? | 玛丽莎 |
[16:49] | Indra Pratt, 22, elementary school teacher. | 因德拉·普拉特 二十二岁 小学教师 |
[16:53] | She’s one of ours, Bull. | 她在我们这一边 布尔 |
[16:55] | But her replacement would be Keith Forrester, | 但是她将由基思·福雷斯特来顶替 |
[16:59] | 42, plumber, grew up in Ridgewood. | 四十二岁 水暖工 在里奇伍德长大 |
[17:01] | Withrow recently built | 威斯罗最近在那里 |
[17:03] | a youth center there to, quote, | 建了一所青少年中心用来 |
[17:05] | “Keep kids on the right path.” | “让孩子们走上正确的道路” |
[17:08] | Boy, Keith loves Withrow. | 伙计 基思喜欢威斯罗 |
[17:09] | Back to chambers. | 回会议室去 |
[17:12] | Did I say Andrew Withrow was heartless? | 我说过安德鲁·威斯罗狠心吗 |
[17:14] | No. I said that he had a heart of gold. | 没有 我是说过他有一颗金子做的心 |
[17:17] | 18 karat gold | 十八克拉纯金 |
[17:18] | that he skimmed from one of his buildings. | 他从他某一座大楼上搜刮来的 |
[17:20] | Motion to strike granted. | 准许排除 |
[17:25] | Your Honor, we’ve found that Juror Number Six | 法官大人 我们发现六号陪审员 |
[17:27] | has been leaking information to the press. | 一直在向杂志社泄露信息 |
[17:29] | Oh, come on. | 得了吧 |
[17:31] | Oh, my. Is that Juror Number Six talking to Misty Marx | 诶呀天哪 那是六号陪审员 |
[17:35] | from the Ledger? | 在和美国新闻网的米斯特·马克思讲话吗 |
[17:37] | Motion granted. | 动议批准 |
[17:39] | Now if that’s all… and it better be… | 现在 如果没有别的问题 最好是没有 |
[17:42] | we can resume the trial? | 我们可以恢复庭审了吗 |
[17:45] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官大人 |
[17:46] | I’ll get Withrow to restore your power. | 我会让威斯罗恢复你的供电 |
[17:48] | Can he do it personally? | 他能亲自做这件事吗 |
[17:49] | I know how he loves to be hands-on. | 我知道他多么热衷于亲自来 |
[17:52] | You know, the second alternate, | 知道吗 第二位替换的陪审员 |
[17:54] | Keith Forrester… | 基思·福雷斯特 |
[17:54] | he’s going to win this trial for me. | 他会为我赢得这场官司的 |
[17:56] | And you thinking that is gonna win the trial for me. | 而你认为是我会赢得这个案子 |
[17:59] | So where is this going? | 所以这是到哪一步了 |
[18:00] | The trial? | 庭审吗 |
[18:02] | Us. | 我们俩 |
[18:05] | How about dinner? | 一起吃晚餐吗 |
[18:08] | Drinks at your place. | 去你家喝酒 |
[18:11] | Better. | 更好了 |
[18:17] | Sean? Sean, hi. I’m Danny. | 肖恩 肖恩 你好 我是丹尼 |
[18:20] | I’m investigating the skybridge collapse at Withrow Midtown. | 我正在调查威斯罗市中心的天桥倒塌事件 |
[18:24] | I already told the U.S. Attorney everything I know. | 我已经把我知道的都告诉检察官了 |
[18:26] | Well, there’s something you should know. | 好吧 有些事你需要知道 |
[18:28] | Withrow is planning | 威斯罗正打算 |
[18:29] | on bringing this whole thing down on you in court. Hey. | 在法庭上把这整件事都推卸到你头上 |
[18:32] | Sean, that’s 15 counts of manslaughter. | 肖恩 那可是十五项过失杀人罪 |
[18:35] | You knew about the design flaw, didn’t you? | 你知道这个设计缺陷 不是吗 |
[18:37] | You’re too good at your job. You had to know. | 你十分擅长你的工作 你一定知道 |
[18:40] | If I testify, it’s suicide for my career. | 出庭作证对我而言就是自毁前程 |
[18:42] | Yeah, but if you don’t, you could end up in jail. | 没错 但是如果你不出庭的话 你会进监狱的 |
[18:46] | He protects his people. | 他是在保护他的员工 |
[18:48] | Yeah? Like he protected those people on the bridge? | 是吗 就像他保护那些天桥上的人一样吗 |
[18:56] | You can make this right. | 你可以做到的 |
[19:05] | If that building were invisible, | 如果没有前面这座大楼的话 |
[19:07] | you’d be able to see the Empire State Building. | 你就能看到帝国大厦了 |
[19:09] | And it’s pronounced “House-ton” Street, | 而且这条街应该读作”豪斯顿” |
[19:13] | not “Houston.” | 而不是”休斯顿” |
[19:15] | You can tell that to Sam Houston. | 你可以跟山姆·休斯顿说这些 |
[19:19] | You know, there’s nothing like a view | 你知道 没有什么比眼前的景色 |
[19:20] | to give you some perspective. | 更能引起一个人的认识了 |
[19:23] | I like my small town, but… | 我喜欢我的小城镇 但是… |
[19:26] | this has its charms. | 这里有它独特的魅力 |
[19:28] | Well, you’re a long way from home, Dorothy. | 你可离家远着呢 多萝西 |
[19:30] | Hmm. Bless your heart. | 上帝保佑 |
[19:34] | By, uh… by the decorating you’ve done, | 从你的装饰上来看 |
[19:37] | I’d say that you are, too. | 我敢说你也是 |
[19:40] | Well, we both… | 好吧 我们都… |
[19:41] | – live in our work, don’t we? – Mm-hmm. | – 活在我们的工作中 是么 – 嗯 |
[19:45] | Well, Withrow seems to think that, uh, | 威斯罗看上去好像觉得 |
[19:48] | I should be working here. | 我应该在这里工作 |
[19:49] | Smart man. | 聪明人 |
[19:51] | You admire him. | 你仰慕他 |
[19:54] | Well, I suppose he is brilliant, charming and powerful. | 我觉得他很能干 有魅力而且强大 |
[19:57] | What’s not to admire? | 有什么不能被仰慕的呢 |
[19:58] | I’m old-fashioned. | 我很老派 |
[20:00] | I’m drawn to ambitious and talented men. | 我会被有雄心和有才能的人吸引 |
[20:04] | Not all talented and ambitious men are built the same. | 并不是所有有雄心和有才能的人都是一样的 |
[20:23] | I have to go. | 我得走了 |
[20:26] | No. | 别 |
[20:28] | Stay. | 留下来 |
[20:35] | It’s tempting. | 这很诱人 |
[20:37] | But it’s work. | 但是这是工作 |
[20:42] | Bye, Jason. | 再见 杰森 |
[20:56] | Now you’ve gone too far. | 现在你就做得有点过了 |
[21:10] | Power’s on. But my key card | 来电了 但是我的钥匙卡 |
[21:12] | wouldn’t work in the elevator. | 在电梯里用不了 |
[21:13] | 22 flights of stairs. | 二十二层楼 |
[21:15] | Gets the blood flowing. | 让血液循环 |
[21:17] | TAC is back. | 庭审分析公司满血复活 |
[21:19] | Well, aren’t you the undaunted one today. | 你今天还真是胆识过人 |
[21:20] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[21:21] | Um, did you sleep here last night? | 你昨晚睡在这了么 |
[21:24] | There’s lots to do if we’re gonna bring down Withrow. | 如果我们要扳倒威斯罗还有很多工作要做 |
[21:26] | Well, we lost two jurors | 我们因为黛安娜插科打诨的 |
[21:28] | to Diana’s gag with the boxes, | 那些箱子失去了两位陪审员 |
[21:30] | but gained one back when we went to the alternate. | 但当轮到我们时又赢回了一位 |
[21:33] | Still, we are in trouble, Bull. | 我们还是有麻烦 布尔 |
[21:35] | Nine want to acquit Withrow. | 九个人想让威斯罗判无罪 |
[21:38] | We have to adjust our narrative. | 我们需要调整我们的叙述 |
[21:41] | As a kid, I-I always dreamed | 还是一个小孩时 我… 我总是梦想 |
[21:43] | of moving to New York, | 能来到纽约 |
[21:44] | home of the greatest skyline in the world. | 世界上最伟大的摩天大厦的家乡 |
[21:46] | And, uh, I remember thinking, | 然后 我记得我会想 |
[21:48] | – one day… – All right. | – 有一天 – 好了 |
[21:50] | See how his eyes don’t move when he smiles? | 看到他笑的时候他的眼睛不动了么 |
[21:53] | His actions are completely disassociated | 他的行为是完全和他的情感 |
[21:55] | from his emotions. | 脱离的 |
[21:56] | It’s not that Withrow’s responsible for a mistake. | 这不是说威斯罗对一个错误负责 |
[21:59] | Withrow made a cold, calculated decision. | 威斯罗做了一个无情又精心计划的决定 |
[22:03] | So if your assessment is that Withrow is a sociopath, | 所以如果你的评估是威斯罗是一个反社会人士 |
[22:05] | he doesn’t have the capacity | 他没有能力 |
[22:07] | to feel for the victims. | 去同情那些牺牲的人 |
[22:08] | The only risk he considered was liability. | 他唯一考虑的风险是责任 |
[22:12] | We can use that. | 我们可以利用那个 |
[22:14] | He won’t take the stand. | 他不会出庭作证的 |
[22:18] | We’ll see. | 我们再看 |
[22:25] | Easy. | 简单 |
[22:26] | Yeah? | 是么 |
[22:27] | Oh, yeah. | 是的 |
[22:28] | Ah. | 啊 |
[22:30] | Whew! Whew! | 呼 呼 |
[22:33] | We’re not getting any younger, huh? | 我们不会返老还童了 不是吗 |
[22:34] | Heck, no. | 才不会呢 |
[22:37] | I’ve been meaning to ask you something. | 我一直很想问你一件事 |
[22:39] | As long as it doesn’t start with “I left the file in my car.” | 只要不是以”我放了一个文件在我车里”开头 |
[22:42] | No. | 不 |
[22:43] | Go ahead. | 说吧 |
[22:44] | Got a letter a few weeks ago | 几周前从联邦检察官办公室 |
[22:46] | from the U.S. Attorney’s Office. | 收到了一封信 |
[22:49] | They, uh… | 他们 |
[22:51] | they’re opening up an investigation on me. | 他们开始要调查我 |
[22:53] | Benny, | 本尼 |
[22:54] | this is not a conversation we can have. | 我们两个是不能这样通气的 |
[22:56] | Even if I knew any details, | 即使我知道任何细节 |
[22:59] | I can’t disclose. | 我也不能透露 |
[23:01] | – Yeah, yeah. – You understand? | – 是啊 是啊 – 你理解么 |
[23:03] | It’s nothing personal. | 这不是针对你 |
[23:04] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[23:05] | All right. | 行吧 |
[23:08] | Three more flights to go. | 还有三层 |
[23:14] | Hello? | 你好 |
[23:15] | Ms. James? | 詹姆斯小姐 |
[23:17] | Hi. | 你好 |
[23:18] | Mr. Laheri? | 拉赫利先生 |
[23:20] | So, let’s talk. | 我们谈谈吧 |
[23:24] | This past year, my wife and I separated. | 去年 我妻子和我分居了 |
[23:28] | I’ve lost friends. | 我失去了朋友 |
[23:29] | With what I saw, I feel like a different person. | 看到那些后 我好像变了一个人 |
[23:32] | You saw the collapse? | 你看到坍塌了 |
[23:35] | Right after. | 正赶着就看到了 |
[23:36] | Their bodies being taken away. | 他们的尸体被带走 |
[23:40] | I need… pills | 我需要… 吃药 |
[23:41] | just to get to sleep, you know? | 才能入睡 你知道吗 |
[23:44] | Because you know something about why it happened? | 因为你了解事情的经过 |
[23:47] | I inspected the bridge a month before we opened. | 我在事故发生前一个月检查了那个桥 |
[23:51] | I knew there was a problem. | 我知道其中是有问题的 |
[23:53] | I went to his office and told him. | 我去了他的办公室 告诉了他 |
[23:56] | He promised me he would fix it. | 他承诺他会修好的 |
[23:58] | But he didn’t. | 但是他没有 |
[24:01] | The day after he was indicted, I… | 他被起诉后的第一天 我… |
[24:05] | I had five lawyers in my office. | 我的办公室来了五个律师 |
[24:08] | They gave me a $200,000 bonus to shut up. | 他们给了我二十万美金的封口费 |
[24:16] | And I did. | 然后我照做了 |
[24:19] | You have to testify. | 你必须出庭作证 |
[24:23] | I don’t want to relive it. | 我不想再遭一次罪了 |
[24:26] | But, Sean, you already are. | 但是 肖恩 你已经处于水深火热之中了 |
[24:30] | Every day. | 每一天 |
[24:46] | I see you got yourself a new mirror jury. | 我发现你给自己找来了一个新的镜面陪审团 |
[24:50] | How can you tell? | 你怎么发现的 |
[24:51] | The watches kind of gave it away. | 那些表暴露了这一点 |
[24:53] | Really? | 真的么 |
[24:54] | Maybe there was a sale. | 可能是在打折呢 |
[24:56] | Would you like one? We’ve got a million of ’em. | 你想要一个么 我们这还有很多存货 |
[24:58] | Not really my style. | 我不太喜欢这种款式 |
[24:59] | – Jason. – Andrew. | – 杰森 – 安德鲁 |
[25:01] | What a great day for a conviction. | 真是一个定罪的好日子 |
[25:03] | Well, you’ll need more than fancy screens | 你需要不仅仅是华丽的屏幕 |
[25:05] | and algorithms to beat us. | 和算法来打败我们 |
[25:06] | Oh, I know. | 我知道 |
[25:08] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[25:16] | Your Honor, the prosecution | 法官大人 控方 |
[25:18] | would like to call Sean Laheri | 想要传唤肖恩·拉赫利 |
[25:20] | to the stand. | 出庭作证 |
[25:26] | Mr. Laheri, | 拉赫利先生 |
[25:27] | as project manager at Withrow Midtown, | 作为威斯罗市的项目经理 |
[25:29] | did you notice any mistakes | 你发现了什么 |
[25:31] | with the construction of the skybridge? | 有关天桥建造的问题么 |
[25:33] | I did. I walked through the designs | 我有 我在装潢开业的 |
[25:36] | a few weeks before we were slated to open | 前几周看了设计 |
[25:38] | and noticed a flaw in the supports. | 然后发现了支撑部分的一个漏洞 |
[25:40] | And did you make Mr. Withrow aware of this? | 你让威斯罗先生知道了这件事么 |
[25:45] | Yes. | 有的 |
[25:47] | On two separate occasions. | 在两个不同的场合 |
[25:50] | I’m sorry, | 不好意思 |
[25:52] | would you mind repeating that? | 你介意回顾一遍么 |
[25:54] | Yes. | 不介意 |
[25:56] | I talked to Mr. Withrow | 我和威斯罗先生 |
[25:58] | on two separate occasions | 就更换材料的风险 |
[26:00] | about the risk of changing materials | 在几周前进行了交谈 |
[26:02] | to make our deadline. | 为了赶上我们的截止日期 |
[26:04] | Thank you, Mr. Laheri. | 谢谢你 拉赫利先生 |
[26:05] | He was paid off for this. | 他是被收买了来做这些的 |
[26:06] | I-I know this takes a lot of courage. | 我知道这样做需要很大勇气 |
[26:10] | Now, can you tell us… | 现在 你能不能告诉我们… |
[26:12] | Your Honor, may I approach? | 法官大人 我能近谈么 |
[26:14] | Withrow’s looking for a plea. | 威斯罗想要和解 |
[26:19] | Your Honor, we’d like to request a continuance. | 法官大人 我们想要申请延期进行 |
[26:25] | 150 months. | 一百五十个月 |
[26:28] | Parole after 84. | 八十四个月之后假释 |
[26:30] | Be reasonable. | 合理一点 |
[26:31] | My client is a developer, | 我的客户是一个开发商 |
[26:33] | not a hit man. | 不是一个杀手 |
[26:34] | Minimum security. | 进安保系统最低的监狱 |
[26:35] | And if you don’t like this offer, we can go back to court, | 如果你不接受这个提议 我们可以回法庭上 |
[26:38] | let the jury decide what the sentence is | 让陪审团决定 |
[26:40] | for 15 deaths. | 十五个死者的判决是多长 |
[26:51] | Okay, minimum security. 60 months. | 行吧 进安保系统最低的监狱 刑期六十个月 |
[26:53] | Parole after 36. | 三十六个月后假释 |
[27:00] | I will draw up the waiver of rights. | 我会起草弃权证书 |
[27:02] | We’ll present it to Judge Levy tomorrow. | 明天我们会呈给利维法官 |
[27:09] | This isn’t over. | 这事没完 |
[27:10] | Not for at least another five years. | 五年后再说吧 |
[27:22] | What’s wrong? | 没什么 |
[27:23] | You won. | 你赢了 |
[27:25] | Diana. | 黛安娜 |
[27:31] | Um, I have to take this. | 呃 我得接这通电话 |
[27:33] | Work. | 工作 |
[27:35] | I get it. | 了解 |
[27:40] | Yes, Danny? | 是的 丹尼 |
[27:42] | I’m at Sean Laheri’s, Bull. | 我在肖恩·拉赫利家 布尔 |
[27:43] | I need you over here. | 你得过来一趟 |
[28:14] | How we doing? | 现在是什么情况 |
[28:15] | Just left him 30 minutes ago. | 他是半小时前死的 |
[28:17] | Not good. | 情况不太好 |
[28:18] | So, big surprise. | 所以 大惊喜 |
[28:20] | Withrow pulled his plea deal. | 威斯罗撤回了他的辩诉交易 |
[28:21] | We’re going back to court. | 我们得回法庭去 |
[28:25] | Sean left a suicide note. | 肖恩留了自杀遗书 |
[28:28] | He said he couldn’t live with himself. | 他说无法忍受自己 |
[28:29] | The 15 lives. | 那十五条人命 |
[28:31] | I thought he was testifying to alleviate his guilt. | 我觉得他出庭作证是为了减轻自己的罪恶感 |
[28:34] | I should have seen this coming. | 我本该看到这结果 |
[28:37] | Was it his gun? | 这是他的枪吗 |
[28:38] | Yes. | 对 |
[28:40] | What are you implying? | 你什么意思 |
[28:42] | I don’t know, I just should’ve known | 我不知道 但我就是知道 |
[28:44] | what Withrow was capable of. | 威斯罗会干些什么 |
[28:46] | You think Withrow had him killed? | 你觉得他的死和威斯罗有关 |
[28:49] | It seems a little too convenient, doesn’t it? | 有点太省事了 不是吗 |
[28:52] | ESU hasn’t found any | 紧急勤务小组没发现 |
[28:54] | evidence of forced entry, foul play, | 任何有关强行入室 谋杀 |
[28:56] | witnesses, sounds of struggle. | 目击证人 打斗声的证据 |
[28:58] | The evidence is Sean. | 证据就是肖恩本人 |
[29:01] | Testifying was the hardest thing he’s ever done. | 出庭作证是他做过的最艰难的事 |
[29:05] | It was a source of pride, not shame. | 这是一种自尊 而不是羞愧 |
[29:09] | He didn’t kill himself. | 他没有自杀 |
[29:12] | As the defense wasn’t able to cross Mr. Laheri, | 由于辩方律师不能再传召拉赫利先生 |
[29:14] | you’re to disregard his testimony. | 陪审团在裁决过程中无需再考虑他的证词 |
[29:16] | Your Honor, I beg you to reconsider. | 法官阁下 我希望您重新考虑 |
[29:18] | We all heard what Mr. Laheri said. | 我们都听到拉赫利先生的话 |
[29:20] | Now he’s dead. | 现在他死了 |
[29:21] | That’s prejudicial and irrelevant. | 这对被告不利 并且与本案无关 |
[29:23] | There is absolutely no correlation | 绝对没有相关性 |
[29:25] | – between the two of them. – No correlation between Sean’s death | – 两者不相关 – 肖恩的死 |
[29:27] | – and Withrow, Really? – Dr. Bull? | – 与威斯罗不相关 真的吗 – 布尔博士 |
[29:28] | He committed suicide, Your Honor. | 法官大人 他自杀身亡 |
[29:30] | Who knows why? | 谁知道原因 |
[29:31] | I think the defendant knows why. Right, Withrow? | 我想被告知道原因 对吧 威斯罗 |
[29:33] | Dr. Bull, one more word from you, | 布尔博士 你要是再多说一个词 |
[29:35] | and you’ll spend the night in jail. | 今晚你就在监狱呆着 |
[29:37] | My apologies, sir. | 我道歉 法官大人 |
[29:38] | Members of the jury, | 在座陪审员 |
[29:39] | you are not to question Mr. Laheri’s absence. | 你们不可以质疑拉赫利先生的缺席 |
[29:42] | His testimony was removed from the record. | 他的证词已从诉讼记录中删除 |
[29:44] | It does not reflect on the defendant. | 这不会对被告不利 |
[29:47] | You are also to disregard any exchange between counsel | 你们也将无视律师和布尔博士 |
[29:51] | and Dr. Bull. | 之间的争论 |
[29:53] | We’re screwed. | 我们完了 |
[29:54] | We’re out of witnesses. | 我们没有目击证人 |
[29:56] | I have to rest our case. | 我不得不停止举证了 |
[29:59] | Something Sean said stuck with me. | 肖恩的话让我不能释怀 |
[30:02] | He said he warned Withrow in person. | 他说他当面告诫过威斯罗 |
[30:05] | You don’t get an audience with Withrow | 要是没有书面文件 |
[30:07] | and a visit from five of his attorneys | 你没法见到支持威斯罗的陪审员 |
[30:09] | without something in writing. | 以及与他律师中的五位见面 |
[30:10] | The FBI spent a year scanning his e-mail chains. | 联邦调查局用了一年调查他的邮件往来 |
[30:12] | Servers, deleted files, everything. | 服务器 删除的文档 任何与之相关的 |
[30:14] | But we haven’t. | 但是我们还没有 |
[30:16] | CEO’s often write to their colleagues in code, | 总裁总是用代码给同事写邮件 |
[30:19] | so their e-mails don’t get flagged. | 所以他们的邮件没有标记 |
[30:21] | I’ve got my people poring over his correspondence | 我的人盯着他的邮件往来 |
[30:23] | looking for patterns, | 探查其中的花样 |
[30:25] | and they’re gonna find something. | 他们一定会发现什么 |
[30:26] | And when they do, we’re gonna nail that son of a bitch. | 当他们查到 我们就揭露那混蛋 |
[30:33] | Thought you could use this. | 我觉得你可能用得到 |
[30:35] | Way ahead of you. | 比你快一步 |
[30:38] | Rough day. | 难熬的一天 |
[30:40] | Oh. | 哦 |
[30:42] | Rough day for us. | 对我们来说真难熬啊 |
[30:44] | I, uh, | 我 呃 |
[30:45] | brought you a revised witness list for tomorrow. | 给你带了一份修改过的目击证人名单 明天用 |
[30:49] | Oh, well, thank you. | 好的 谢谢 |
[30:51] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[30:52] | Cheers. | 干杯 |
[30:53] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:54] | It’s a nice couch. | 这沙发真不错 |
[30:58] | Andrew Withrow’s taking the stand. | 安德鲁·威斯罗出庭作证 |
[31:01] | Oh, don’t act so surprised… you goaded him into it. | 哦 别那么吃惊… 你激他这么干的 |
[31:04] | Did I? | 我吗 |
[31:06] | Well… by making him think | 好吧… 你让他认为 |
[31:08] | that the jury will connect him to Laheri’s death. | 陪审团会将他与拉赫利的死联系起来 |
[31:11] | They will. | 他们会的 |
[31:13] | Andrew Withrow has a lot of questionable qualities, | 安德鲁·威斯罗的人品有许多问题 |
[31:15] | but he’s not a murderer. | 但他不是凶手 |
[31:17] | And who are you trying to convince? | 你试着说服谁 |
[31:20] | Don’t be ridiculous. | 别瞎说了 |
[31:22] | You bring me the witness list in person? | 你亲自来给我证人名单 |
[31:26] | Come on, Diana. | 别这样 黛安娜 |
[31:28] | Jason, Laheri committed suicide. | 杰森·拉赫利自杀身亡 |
[31:31] | He felt guilty about the skybridge. | 对人行天桥的坍塌 他心怀愧疚 |
[31:39] | I wish I could tell you everything’s gonna be okay | 我真想告诉你一切都没事 |
[31:42] | and that your client isn’t a killer. | 你的委托人不是凶犯 |
[31:46] | But I can’t. | 但是我不能 |
[31:50] | I wish I could. | 为了你 |
[31:52] | For you. | 我真这么想 |
[32:14] | I’ll see you in court. | 我们法庭见 |
[32:16] | Yeah. | 好 |
[32:27] | Any new documents? | 有新文档 |
[32:29] | Still looking. | 还查着呢 |
[32:32] | Look, Dennis, | 听着 丹尼斯 |
[32:34] | I was out of line asking you about the investigation. | 我违规了 向你打听调查的事 |
[32:38] | But I hope that we can put it behind us, | 但是我希望我们能放下成见 |
[32:41] | because I want to win this. | 因为我想赢这官司 |
[32:43] | And I want you to win this | 我想你赢 |
[32:45] | and not let anything else stand in the way. | 别让任何事阻碍了我们 |
[32:48] | Withrow’s gonna take the stand, and we have a strategy. | 威斯罗会出庭作证 我们得想想策略 |
[32:52] | He is a sociopath, completely egocentric, | 他反社会 完全是个利己主义者 |
[32:55] | can’t read others’ signals, and can’t conceive he could fail. | 他看不懂别人的信号 认为自己不会输 |
[33:00] | There was a time… | 那个时候… |
[33:03] | when I was involved in every detail. | 我参与每个工程的细节 |
[33:07] | But, uh, my company grew, and at a certain point | 但是 公司在壮大 某种程度上来说 |
[33:10] | it became too large. | 公司发展得太迅猛了 |
[33:11] | So I had to begin | 所以我得开始 |
[33:13] | trusting people, like my project manager, | 相信大家 正如我的工程管理人 |
[33:16] | Sean Laheri. | 肖恩·拉赫利 |
[33:17] | I wish he’d come to me instead of brushing | 我宁愿他来找我 而不是避而不谈 |
[33:20] | this design flaw under the rug. | 粉饰设计图的缺陷 |
[33:22] | If he had, | 如果他这么做了 |
[33:23] | those 15 poor people would still be alive today. | 可怜的十五条生命如今依然活着 |
[33:27] | He’ll throw the dead man under the bus, | 他出卖肖恩 |
[33:29] | just in case anyone on the jury was listening to Sean. | 以防陪审团的人会听信他的话 |
[33:32] | So Diana will coach him | 所以黛安娜会训练他 |
[33:34] | in what we call a “Modified mea culpa,” | 我们称之为 “改编所犯过错” |
[33:36] | where Withrow admits to something insignificant, | 这里威斯罗会承认无关紧要的事 |
[33:39] | so the jury will think that he’s sincere about everything. | 所以陪审团会觉得他为人真诚 |
[33:42] | If there’s a sin I’ve committed here, | 要说我在这犯的罪 |
[33:45] | it’s… | 那就是 |
[33:48] | slightly exaggerating my role. | 我有些越权了 |
[33:51] | How do we get the jury to see what he’s really doing? | 我们该如何让陪审团知道他的真正意图 |
[33:53] | Ha-ha! Oh, he doesn’t really believe what he’s saying. | 哈哈 他根本不信自己说的 |
[33:58] | Just keep pressing him. | 就继续逼问他 |
[33:59] | He’ll admit it. | 他会承认的 |
[34:01] | Either you accept | 要么你对 |
[34:02] | full responsibility | 在威斯罗市做的 |
[34:03] | for every decision made at Withrow Midtown, | 所有决定负全责 |
[34:06] | or you were lying when you said “The brick stops here.” | 要么你回答不了问题 说明你在说谎 |
[34:09] | Which is it? | 是哪种呢 |
[34:10] | Objection, Your Honor. | 法官大人 反对 |
[34:11] | Overruled. | 反对有效 |
[34:15] | Let me try this again. | 那我们换种说法 |
[34:18] | Did you know the materials used | 你知道所用材料 |
[34:20] | might cause the skybridge to collapse, | 可能引起人行天桥坍塌吗 |
[34:22] | or is all this talk, your brand, | 还是这所有的谈话 你的品牌 |
[34:26] | built on a foundation of lies? | 都是建立在谎言之上 |
[34:32] | I didn’t know… | 我不知道… |
[34:36] | about the skybridge problems. | 人行天桥可能存在的隐患 |
[34:39] | Mr. Withrow, when you signed those documents… | 威斯罗先生 你在那些文件上签名时… |
[34:41] | Asked and answered, Your Honor. | 这个问题已经回答过了 法官阁下 |
[34:43] | Move on, Mr. Olsen. | 请继续 奥尔森先生 |
[34:47] | No further questions. | 我没有其他问题了 |
[34:51] | We won a juror back… we’ve now got eight on our side. | 又有一位陪审员支持我们了 现在总共有八位站在我们这边 |
[34:54] | Withrow didn’t crack. | 威斯罗没有被我们击垮 |
[34:55] | Somehow he managed to swallow his massive ego. | 他不知怎么的 把自己本性掩藏得很好 |
[34:58] | Diana prepped him well, interrupted at the right time. | 黛安娜帮他准备得很好 也适时打断了询问 |
[35:01] | Yes, she did. | 没错 |
[35:03] | Now we need a new line of attack. | 我们得重新找一个攻击他的方面 |
[35:06] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[35:07] | What is it, Foley? | 怎么了 福利 |
[35:08] | The, uh, elevator cards are working. | 电梯卡能用了 |
[35:11] | Good. Did you fix it? | 很好 你修好的吗 |
[35:13] | Not exactly. | 也不算吧 |
[35:21] | So this is TAC. | 这就是庭审分析公司啊 |
[35:23] | Nice offices. | 办公室不错嘛 |
[35:26] | Thanks. We got a good deal on them. | 谢谢 建造装修都挺便宜的 |
[35:28] | Hopefully, no one skimped on the materials. | 幸好没有偷工减料 |
[35:31] | You and your team did good work. | 你和你团队干得不错 |
[35:33] | – Valuable work. – Ah, thanks. | – 工作很有价值 – 噢 谢谢 |
[35:35] | I like your shoes. | 我喜欢你的鞋 |
[35:36] | Oh, I’m sorry, I thought we were just exchanging compliments. | 不好意思 我以为刚才是相互赞美环节 |
[35:40] | We both know information’s power. | 我们都知道 信息就是力量 |
[35:42] | Not common information, but unique information. | 不是那些寻常的信息 是那些独家的 |
[35:45] | Information no one else has. | 别无他人知道的 |
[35:48] | You use it to win trials; I use it to build buildings. | 你用这种信息赢下庭审 我用来造建筑 |
[35:51] | I see a synergy. | 我们可以合作一下 |
[35:54] | I have dozens of legal cases pending, and… | 我有很多等着解决的案件 |
[35:59] | …I could use someone like you, Dr. Bull. | 我可以启用你这样的人 布尔博士 |
[36:05] | We can start… | 不如就从… |
[36:08] | with a $10 million retainer. | 一千万美元的聘用金开始 |
[36:11] | That’s interesting. | 有意思 |
[36:12] | How’d you get to that number? | 为什么是这个数字 |
[36:13] | Well, I looked at your finances, | 我看了你的财务情况 |
[36:15] | retainers, what you need | 还有以前的聘用金 这些钱是 |
[36:17] | to run TAC the way you like to run it. | 你按照自己想法运作庭审分析公司需要的数目 |
[36:20] | That is unique information. | 真是很独家的信息 |
[36:23] | People like to think life is… | 人们总是认为生命… |
[36:26] | intangible, that it… transcends worth. | 是无法估量的 是超越金钱的 |
[36:31] | But I can put a number to anyone. | 但我可以给每一个人定价 |
[36:35] | My number is about finding out what makes people tick, | 我的要价就是去弄清楚人们做某些事情的原因 |
[36:38] | and, uh… | 并且… |
[36:40] | now that I have it… | 现在我知道了 |
[36:43] | meeting’s over. | 会议到此为止吧 |
[36:50] | What a waste. | 真可惜啊 |
[36:55] | Bye. | 慢走不送 |
[36:59] | Cable, where are you? | 凯博 你在哪里 |
[37:01] | Well, get in here. | 那你来一下 |
[37:02] | I think I found a new line of attack. | 我应该找到可以攻击他的地方了 |
[37:11] | Hey, Bull! | 这边 布尔 |
[37:12] | I love it when you’re right. | 被你说中了 太好了 |
[37:14] | First time for everything. | 难得全中一次 |
[37:15] | So, I noticed a pattern in Withrow’s in-box. | 我在威斯罗的收件箱里发现了一些模式 |
[37:18] | He frequently misspells “Accept.” | 他总是拼错”接受” |
[37:20] | It’s common to confuse homonyms when you use a dictation app. | 用语音输入应用时 很容易混淆一些同音词 |
[37:23] | Son and sun, by and bye, | 比如儿子和太阳 出自和再见 |
[37:25] | except and accept. | 还有除此以外和接受 |
[37:27] | Skip to the good part… the part where I’m right. | 说说好的那部分 我说中什么了 |
[37:29] | Okay. So, the way the app works is | 行吧 这种应用的原理是 |
[37:33] | you dictate your e-mail content, | 你说出邮件内容 |
[37:34] | that gets sent to a server farm, which translates it into text | 传到服务器群组 转化成文本以后 |
[37:37] | and sends it back. | 再传送回来 |
[37:39] | So the server farm stores your dictations | 所以服务器群组会保存你的语音 |
[37:41] | even if you delete them. | 即使你自己删掉了 |
[37:42] | And if someone were | 而且如果有人 |
[37:43] | to hack into the server farm, they might just find | 黑进服务器群组 可能就能发现 |
[37:46] | that Withrow dictated a series of messages to… | 威斯罗语音把很多消息 |
[37:49] | a Bridget Ingelhart. | 发给了一个叫布里奇特·英格尔哈特的人 |
[37:50] | Mm. | 不错 |
[37:52] | That’s an actuarial sheet. | 那是一张精算单 |
[37:53] | Oh, yeah. Well, Ms. Ingelhart is an independent actuary. | 对 英格尔哈特小姐是一位独立精算师 |
[37:56] | I mean… they use code in the e-mails, | 我的意思是 虽然他们在邮件里用密文 |
[37:59] | but the PDF is clear as day. | 但是PDF文件上都写的清清楚楚 |
[38:01] | She calculated the risk of the skybridge falling. | 她计算出了人行天桥倒塌的风险 |
[38:04] | These numbers are how much Withrow | 这些数字是威斯罗 |
[38:06] | would have to pay victims in a potential lawsuit. | 在万一出事以后的诉讼中需要赔付给受害者的金额 |
[38:09] | He found everyone’s number. | 他给每个人都定了价 |
[38:11] | Why would Andrew Withrow approve a flawed design | 为什么安德鲁·威斯罗要批准 |
[38:14] | for the skybridge? | 有缺陷的天桥设计方案 |
[38:15] | I mean, if there was a chance that a disaster could happen, | 我的意思是 如果灾难有机会发生 |
[38:18] | even a small chance… | 即使是小概率事件 |
[38:20] | …why risk it? | 为什么还要冒这个风险 |
[38:24] | Because time is money, | 因为时间就是金钱啊 |
[38:26] | and it would have cost tens of millions | 而且把天桥拆了重建 |
[38:29] | to dismantle the bridge and do it right. | 还要花好几千万 |
[38:31] | So Andrew Withrow calculated the odds. | 所以安德鲁·威斯罗算了算比了比 |
[38:34] | What were the chances of an accident, | 如果建了这座让人不敢想象的天桥 |
[38:36] | and how much would it cost | 发生事故的可能性有多大 |
[38:38] | if the unthinkable happened? | 会损失多少钱 |
[38:41] | It’s how he evaluates human life. | 他就是这样给人命估价的 |
[38:43] | Andrew Withrow wants to know how much it will cost him | 安德鲁·威斯罗想知道如果杀了你 |
[38:47] | if he kills you. | 要赔多少钱 |
[38:51] | Can you wrap your head around that? | 你能算出来吗 |
[38:53] | You don’t have to. | 算了 不用你了 |
[38:54] | Actuaries can. | 精算师就可以 |
[38:56] | It’s called risk assessment analysis, | 这叫风险评估分析 |
[38:59] | and it’s used to determine | 用于确定 |
[39:00] | the most cost-effective course of action. | 成本最低的方法 |
[39:02] | Mr. Withrow | 威斯罗先生 |
[39:03] | gave everyone a number. | 给每个人定了价 |
[39:06] | A number that determined | 决定了他们生命价值的 |
[39:07] | the value of their life. | 定价 |
[39:10] | As you can see, a doctor is worth more than a dentist, | 正如这幅图 医生定价比牙医高 |
[39:14] | a dentist more than a teacher, | 牙医定价比教师高 |
[39:16] | a teacher more than a commercial truck driver, | 教师定价比商用卡车司机高 |
[39:19] | and a driver… | 卡车司机… |
[39:20] | is worth more than a plumber. | 定价比管道工高 |
[39:26] | Why risk it? | 为什么要冒这种风险 |
[39:28] | Because… | 因为… |
[39:30] | Andrew Withrow decided that it would be more cost-effective | 安德鲁·威斯罗认为 牺牲这些人的生命 |
[39:35] | to lose those lives than to fix | 比修好他有缺陷的天桥 |
[39:38] | his faulty skybridge. | 更划算 |
[39:40] | That’s why 15 people died | 这就是十五个人 |
[39:42] | at Withrow Midtown. | 死在威斯罗市的原因 |
[39:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:51] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗 |
[39:53] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[39:55] | On 15 counts of manslaughter, we find the defendant… | 在这起过失杀人十五人的诉讼中 我们认为被告人 |
[39:59] | guilty. | 有罪 |
[40:01] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[40:03] | the court thanks you for your service. | 法庭感谢你们的出席和服务 |
[40:07] | Marshal, | 马修 |
[40:08] | please place the defendant in custody. | 请把被告人拘留起来 |
[40:20] | Looks like we got your number. | 我们知道你打的什么算盘了 |
[40:22] | Of course, I’ll be appealing. | 我会继续上诉的 |
[40:25] | Of course. | 当然 |
[40:29] | Andrew, I’m afraid I’m gonna have to withdraw | 安德鲁 我恐怕不会 |
[40:30] | from your counsel. | 再当你的法律顾问 |
[40:32] | I can’t help you moving forward. | 没办法再帮你了 |
[40:35] | You already have. | 你已经帮了我很多了 |
[40:36] | My grounds for appeal | 我上诉的理由 |
[40:38] | is collusion between my attorney | 就是我的法律顾问和原告律师 |
[40:41] | and the legal advisor for the plaintiff. | 相互勾结 |
[40:45] | I’m very disappointed in both of you. | 我对你们俩都很失望 |
[40:52] | I told you he was a sociopath. | 我跟你说过了 他反社会 |
[40:57] | Benny. | 本尼 |
[41:00] | Thanks for your help. | 感谢你的帮助 |
[41:01] | Oh, hey. | 噢 你好啊 |
[41:03] | My pleasure. | 这是我的荣幸 |
[41:04] | And I mean that. | 我是认真的 |
[41:06] | By the way, I… | 顺便说一下 |
[41:09] | I took a look into that investigation. | 我看了一下那个调查 |
[41:13] | Oh. Oh, you did? | 你看过了 |
[41:15] | Yeah, you didn’t hear this from me, but the U.S. Attorney’s | 不是我说的啊 联邦检察官正在调查 |
[41:17] | looking into a murder case you prosecuted eight years ago. | 一起你八年前担任控方律师的谋杀案 |
[41:20] | Hayden Watkins. | 海登·沃特金斯 |
[41:22] | Hayden Watkins. | 海登·沃特金斯 |
[41:37] | Well, if we’re gonna be accused of it, we might as well do it. | 他都要指控我们勾结了 不能让他白指控 |
[41:44] | Drinks? | 去喝酒吗 |
[41:48] | Dinner. | 吃晚餐吧 |
[41:49] | My place? | 去我家吗 |
[41:52] | Better. | 那更好了 |