时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | Ariel, I am very impressed. This is gorgeous. | 艾瑞尔 很厉害啊 画的真漂亮 |
[00:09] | That was totally meant for Theo. | 我是想瞄准希奥的 |
[00:11] | I’m so sorry, Ms. Howland. | 真抱歉 霍兰德老师 |
[00:12] | Thank you, Kelsey. | 谢谢 凯尔西 |
[00:13] | Luke, | 卢克 |
[00:14] | lucky for you, I’m wearing this. | 算你走运 我穿着罩衣呢 |
[00:17] | – So I’m not in trouble? – Of course you are. | – 那我没事了吗 – 当然有事 |
[00:18] | But not nearly as much as if we were using oil paints. | 不过幸亏用的不是油性涂料 不然麻烦才真大 |
[00:22] | All right, see you soon. | 好了 大家下节课再见 |
[00:25] | I’m amazed how well you handled Luke. | 你没对卢克生气 我很惊讶 |
[00:28] | Nothing can get to me today. | 今天没什么能让我生气 |
[00:29] | My stocks are way up. | 我的股票一路上涨 |
[00:31] | It’s like I hit the lottery. | 简直像中了彩票一样 |
[00:32] | My broker told me to hold | 我的经纪人让我 |
[00:33] | another week or so, but I’m not greedy. | 再等一周左右再卖 但是我没那么贪心 |
[00:34] | All I need is enough for the down payment on this condo. | 我只要赚够这间公寓的定金就够了 |
[00:37] | No more 90-minute commutes to school. | 再也不用花九十分钟来上班了 |
[00:40] | Hang on. | 等等 |
[00:41] | This has to be a mistake. | 这不可能啊 |
[00:44] | It’s gone. | 都没了 |
[00:47] | My money’s gone. | 我的钱都没了 |
[00:49] | $87.26… that’s all that’s left. | 就剩87.26美元了 |
[00:52] | This is all of my savings. | 这可是我全部的积蓄啊 |
[00:57] | Hey! | 喂 |
[00:58] | Where you think you’re going? | 你去哪啊 |
[00:59] | I have to talk to my stockbroker! | 我得去找我的股票经纪人谈谈 |
[01:12] | I’m calling about your account at Brannigan Trust. | 我打来是想谈谈您在布兰尼根信托银行的户头 |
[01:14] | Great news, you qualify | 有个好消息 |
[01:16] | for our free investment advisory services. | 您能免费享受我们的投资咨询服务 |
[01:18] | Yeah, great. | 那太好了 |
[01:19] | I’ve reviewed your account | 我重新看过了您的账户 |
[01:20] | and have a couple of strong performers to recommend. | 有几支绩优股想给您推荐 |
[01:22] | Sure, no pressure. Talk to your husband | 当然 不用着急 等你丈夫下班回家了 |
[01:25] | when he gets home from work. | 跟他讨论一下 |
[01:27] | The stock won’t be at this price tomorrow. | 但是明天股票可就不是这个价了 |
[01:29] | No, no, look, if you’re asking me, | 不 听着 要我说 |
[01:30] | you don’t want to sell yet. But that is between us, okay? | 还不能卖 但这话出去别说 好吗 |
[01:33] | And, nope, don’t ask me | 还有 别问我怎么知道的 |
[01:34] | how I know, just make sure to send me a postcard | 等你把钱赚到手 |
[01:36] | after you’ve cashed in and you’re docking | 开着游艇去巴哈马度假的时候 |
[01:38] | your yacht in the Bahamas. | 别忘了给我寄张明信片就行 |
[01:39] | Excuse me. | 打扰一下 |
[01:40] | Hello? | 请问 |
[01:42] | Uh, which one of you is Alex DuBois? | 你们谁是艾利克斯·杜博 |
[01:46] | No way. | 不会吧 |
[01:49] | This is unbelievable. | 简直不敢相信 |
[01:51] | This is a stock scam. | 这就是个股市骗局 |
[01:57] | A woman is here. | 来了位女士 |
[01:58] | She’s looking for some advice. | 她想寻求点建议 |
[02:00] | Sounds like she got scammed in one of those | 看样子她被虚假投资交易 |
[02:02] | bogus investment deals. | 骗去了钱 |
[02:03] | How much did she lose? | 损失了多少钱 |
[02:04] | $19,000. | 一万九千美元 |
[02:05] | That’s not really what we do here, Chunk. | 这种事不归我们管 特朗科 |
[02:07] | I know, but it looks like it pretty much | 我知道 但是这好像 |
[02:09] | wiped out her savings. Can we help her out? | 是她的全部积蓄了 我们能帮帮她吗 |
[02:11] | Well, you could have Benny take a look at it. | 你可以让本尼看一下怎么回事 |
[02:14] | Maybe there’s a small claims case. | 没准能打成个小额索赔案 |
[02:16] | – Okay. – Where is Benny? | – 好的 – 本尼在哪 |
[02:17] | Late again. | 他又迟到了 |
[02:18] | Oh, he’s running some errands. | 他正在外面办事 |
[02:22] | Look, um, her name is Erin Howland. | 是这样 这个女人叫艾琳·霍兰德 |
[02:25] | She went to the U.S. Attorney’s Office, | 她已经去过国家检察官办公室了 |
[02:27] | and they turned her down. | 结果他们拒绝帮助她 |
[02:29] | We can one-up the feds, right? | 我们可没联邦局的那帮探员不近人情 对吧 |
[02:32] | Who is she? | 这人什么来头 |
[02:34] | Friend of a friend. | 是我朋友的朋友 |
[02:36] | If it’s that fashion editor | 如果是上个月你介绍给我认识的 |
[02:37] | you introduced me to last month, the answer is no. | 那个时尚编辑 我是不会帮忙的 |
[02:40] | No. She’s not. | 不 不是她 |
[02:43] | Supermodel? | 是个超模吗 |
[02:45] | She’s my nephew’s fifth grade teacher. | 她是我侄子的老师 教五年级 |
[02:51] | I can’t believe this happened to me. | 我根本无法相信这种事会发生在我身上 |
[02:52] | – It’s humiliating. – It’s okay. | – 真是太丢人了 – 没关系的 |
[02:54] | You can trust Bull. | 你可以相信布尔 |
[02:55] | Just tell him what you told me. | 把你告诉我的事情告诉他 |
[02:58] | About six months ago, an investment advisor called me. | 大概半年前 一个投资顾问给我打了电话 |
[03:00] | He told me about some stocks. | 给我讲了点股票方面的事 |
[03:02] | – Sure thing. – I know what you’re thinking, | – 我猜也是 – 我知道你在想什么 |
[03:04] | but I’m not one of those people. Ask anyone. | 但我不是那种好骗的人 所有人都知道 |
[03:05] | Nothing like this has ever happened to me before. | 我身上从来没发生过这种事 |
[03:07] | Well, telemarketers can be persuasive. | 这种电话推销员很有说服力的 |
[03:10] | They once got me for a 400-buck pen. | 有一次硬是把一根四百块的钢笔卖给我了 |
[03:12] | It’s a valuable lesson for a ten-year-old, though. | 不过我当时只有十岁 倒也是宝贵的教训了 |
[03:15] | I wasn’t looking for a get-rich-quick scheme. | 我不是想找一夜暴富的歪门邪道 |
[03:16] | I thought I was investing responsibly. | 我以为这是理性投资 |
[03:18] | As soon as I bought the stock, the price shot up. | 我才刚买股价就大涨 |
[03:20] | I was making a huge profit. | 我赚了一大笔 |
[03:22] | – On paper. – I wanted to sell, | – 表面是没错 – 我当时想抛掉 |
[03:24] | but he told me to hold on for a few more weeks. | 但是经纪人说再观察几周 |
[03:28] | Well, the price crashed, along with almost my entire savings. | 结果价格跌了 我的毕生积蓄也没了 |
[03:31] | $19,000. | 整整一万九千块 |
[03:33] | You want us to track this guy down? | 你想让我们找到这个人吗 |
[03:36] | I did that already, which is how I found out it’s a scam. | 我已经去找了 这才发现是个骗局 |
[03:38] | Well, you’re clearly proactive. | 你还真是主动出击啊 |
[03:40] | Not a pushover. | 不是任人宰割的人 |
[03:42] | So, I’m curious, why would you trust | 所以我想知道 你怎么会相信一个陌生人 |
[03:44] | a stranger with your entire life savings? | 还把毕生积蓄都托付给他呢 |
[03:47] | He wasn’t a stranger. | 他对我来说不是陌生人 |
[03:49] | He worked at my bank, Brannigan Trust. | 他在我开账户的银行工作 布兰尼根信托银行 |
[03:51] | The Brannigan Trust? | 那家布兰尼根信托银行吗 |
[03:54] | Yeah. | 对 |
[04:01] | Well, they cleared out fast. | 他们跑得还真快 |
[04:02] | Looks more like a boiler room than a bank. | 这看着不像银行 倒像个不法电话交易所 |
[04:05] | Brannigan Trust has been around since J.P. Morgan. | 布兰尼根信托银行从摩根大通时期起就有了 |
[04:07] | Why would they get involved in a boiler room? | 为什么要蹚不法交易所这种浑水 |
[04:09] | I’m telling you, it was them. | 你听我说 绝对是他们 |
[04:11] | That’s where the sign was; it said: | 那个标牌就贴在这里 写着 |
[04:13] | – Alternative Investment Division. – And this is where | – “另类投资部门” – 你上周去的地方 |
[04:15] | you were last week? | 就是这里吗 |
[04:15] | As soon as I left, I called the FBI, | 我一离开就给联邦调查局打电话了 |
[04:17] | the SEC, the U.S. Attorney, | 还有证券交易委员会 美国联邦检察官 |
[04:19] | the Better Business Bureau, the Attorney General, | 商业改善局 司法部长 |
[04:20] | and Brannigan Trust. | 以及布兰尼根信托银行 |
[04:21] | Well, that explains why they left so fast. | 这倒解释了他们为什么这么急着跑了 |
[04:23] | And they all gave me the runaround. Do you think | 结果他们全用套话搪塞我 你们觉得 |
[04:25] | there’s any chance I get my money back? | 我的钱还能拿回来吗 |
[04:26] | First, we have to find out who stole it. | 首先 我们要查出来钱在谁手里 |
[04:29] | Where did you get that? | 你从哪弄到那个的 |
[04:31] | Belongs to the notary next door. | 这是隔壁的公证人的 |
[04:33] | We should hurry before | 在她发现之前 |
[04:34] | she notices it’s gone. | 我们要赶紧弄完 |
[04:35] | Check your caller I.D. | 看一下来电显示 |
[04:40] | Brannigan Trust. | 布兰尼根信托银行 |
[04:42] | See, I told you. | 看到没 跟我说的一样 |
[04:43] | I know somebody who works there. | 我在那里有认识的人 |
[04:45] | I’m gonna pay him a little visit. | 我要去会会他 |
[04:48] | Oh, are you the notary | 你就是隔壁的 |
[04:49] | from next door? | 公证人吧 |
[04:50] | I was trying to call you. | 我正想给你打电话呢 |
[04:51] | I… I think I found your phone. | 我捡到了个电话好像是你的 |
[05:04] | You hungry? | 你饿吗 |
[05:05] | No, I try to stay away from that stuff. | 不饿 我一般不吃高热量食物 |
[05:08] | You know, a pastrami sandwich can usually make things better. | 平时吃个熏牛肉三明治 心情都变好了 |
[05:11] | But not today. | 但今天却没效果 |
[05:12] | Does this have anything to do with that old case of yours? | 是因为你原来那个案子吗 |
[05:14] | Hayden Watkins, yes. | 对 海登·沃特金斯案 |
[05:17] | Last night, the appeals court overturned the verdict. | 昨晚 上诉法院推翻了之前的判决 |
[05:20] | Apparently, there’s new DNA evidence. | 因为出现了新的DNA证据 |
[05:22] | The DNA evidence cleared him? | 这个DNA证据可以证明被告无罪吗 |
[05:24] | He did nine years for a crime he didn’t commit. | 他没有犯罪 却白白坐了九年牢 |
[05:27] | And? | 所以呢 |
[05:29] | I’m under investigation by the U.S. Attorney. | 我现在在接受美国联邦检察官的调查 |
[05:33] | Prosecutorial misconduct. | 原因是公诉不当 |
[05:35] | What did you do? | 你干什么了 |
[05:38] | Nothing. | 我什么也没干 |
[05:39] | Any time a murder conviction is reversed, it’s reviewed. | 只要谋杀罪名被改判了 案件就要接受复审 |
[05:43] | First person under a microscope | 第一个被查的 |
[05:45] | is the prosecutor. | 就是公诉人 |
[05:46] | When are you gonna tell Bull? | 你打算什么时候告诉布尔 |
[05:58] | Thanks for seeing me, Griffin. | 感谢你抽空见我 格里芬 |
[06:00] | I’ve been meaning to call. Are you gonna serve | 我一直想给你打电话来着 |
[06:02] | on the flight museum board with me again? | 你还会继续和我一起留在航空博物馆董事会吗 |
[06:04] | Well, if you insist. | 如果你坚持的话 |
[06:07] | So, what was so urgent? | 所以 你来是有什么要紧事吗 |
[06:08] | Well, I have this client who lost 19 grand | 我有个客户 在你的经纪人部门那里 |
[06:11] | in one of your brokerage divisions. | 损失了一万九千美元 |
[06:13] | Whose daughter is it? | 是哪个大人物的女儿 |
[06:14] | What trust fund did she just get access to? | 用的什么信托基金 |
[06:16] | No trust-afarian. She’s a schoolteacher. | 她不是个信托自由儿 是个学校老师 |
[06:19] | And it seems she was duped | 她被一个叫艾利克斯·杜博的 |
[06:21] | by an overly aggressive broker named Alex DuBois. | 过分热情的经纪人骗了 |
[06:24] | Well, I’ve got somewhere in the neighborhood | 我在这个街区里一共有 |
[06:26] | of 275,000 employees. | 二十七万零五千名雇员 |
[06:28] | I know you do, but it turns out that every broker | 我知道 可是我们发现 |
[06:31] | in this Alternative Investment Division | 这个另类投资部门里的 |
[06:32] | were operating under that name. | 所有经纪人都是用这个名字进行交易的 |
[06:34] | Well, I’ll have someone look into it. | 我会找人查查此事的 |
[06:35] | She said she got a call from this bank, | 她还说接到从这个银行打来的电话 |
[06:37] | offering her the deal of a lifetime. | 对方提出了一笔利润极高的投资 |
[06:40] | I’ve been banking here for 25 years. | 我从事于银行业二十五年了 |
[06:42] | I’m just wondering why no one ever called | 怎么就没人给我打电话 |
[06:44] | and made me that offer. | 让我发发财呢 |
[06:49] | My client wants her money back. | 我的客户想要回自己的钱 |
[06:51] | It’s 19 grand, Griffin. | 整整一万九千美元 格里芬 |
[06:53] | Jason, | 杰森 |
[06:54] | they’re called “alternative” investments for a reason. | 这笔投资之所以叫另类投资是有原因的 |
[06:58] | We can’t return money to everyone who complains | 不可能每个来抱怨在股市赔了钱的 |
[07:00] | about losing in the market. | 我们都把钱退还回去 |
[07:02] | There are others? | 这么说还有别人吗 |
[07:07] | Griffin. | 格里芬 |
[07:12] | Cable, do a phone dump on the outgoing calls | 凯博 把从那些搬空的银行办公室 |
[07:15] | from those empty bank offices. | 拨出的所有电话都筛一遍 |
[07:17] | – Would you? – What are we looking for? | – 可以吗 – 我们要找什么 |
[07:19] | More victims. | 其他受害者 |
[07:22] | I never invested in the market before. | 我从未涉足过股市 |
[07:24] | Figured I’d give it a try. | 想着这次试一把 |
[07:26] | They conned me out of 12 grand and lined their pockets. | 他们骗走我一万二 然后就拍屁股走人了 |
[07:30] | My own bank took me for a ride. | 我被自己的银行诈骗了 |
[07:32] | I worked for the transit authority for 40 years, | 我在交管局工作了四十年 |
[07:34] | kept all my savings in Brannigan Trust. | 一生的积蓄都放在布兰尼根信托银行里 |
[07:37] | 72,000 bucks… just like that, it’s gone. | 整整七万两千块… 就这么没了 |
[07:40] | Totally. They told me I was investing in high-tech drones. | 就是这样 他们说我投资的是高科技无人机 |
[07:43] | It sounded really cool. | 听起来有的赚 |
[07:45] | Turns out, the company only has one customer and really bad R&D. | 结果那公司只有一个客户和一个垃圾研发部门 |
[07:48] | Yeah, well, you know, | 是啊 你可不知道 |
[07:49] | they hustled me out of 37,000 bucks. | 他们坑了我三万七 |
[07:52] | I was planning on buying a Sea Ray, | 本来我打算买艘游船 |
[07:54] | doing some fishing, you know, on the weekends. | 在周末钓钓鱼 |
[07:56] | I could kill… | 我真想杀… |
[08:00] | Starts with “A” through “C.” | 从A到C开头的 |
[08:01] | There you go. | 给你 |
[08:03] | Okay. | 好的 |
[08:04] | Chunk. | 特朗科 |
[08:06] | I’m Benny Colón, | 我是本尼·科隆 |
[08:07] | TAC’s in-house counsel. | 庭审分析公司的内部辩护律师 |
[08:08] | Erin Howland. | 我是艾琳·霍兰德 |
[08:10] | Oh, so you’re the one responsible for all this. | 你就是那个领头的 |
[08:12] | And Chunk. I… I had no idea | 还有特朗科 我… 我完全没想到 |
[08:15] | there would be this many people scammed by the bank. | 会有这么多人都被这家银行骗了 |
[08:17] | Got more than we expected. | 是比我们预期的多 |
[08:18] | Are you gonna be handling the trial? | 由你来负责庭审吗 |
[08:20] | I will, so if you have | 没错 所以要是 |
[08:21] | any questions at all, don’t hesitate to ask. | 有任何问题 尽管问 |
[08:30] | Nice turnout. | 来的人不少 |
[08:32] | I have my doubts. | 我还是觉得不该接 |
[08:34] | Class actions don’t fall into your lap every day. | 集体诉讼这个大馅饼可不是天天都有的 |
[08:37] | It’s a contingency case | 这是个胜诉酬金案 |
[08:38] | with 4,000 victims from across the country. | 而且有四千名来自全国各地的受害者 |
[08:40] | The costs will be astronomical. | 诉讼成本会是个天文数字 |
[08:41] | High risk, high reward. | 高风险 高回报 |
[08:42] | We will have to front all the expenses: | 我们得处理全部的开销 |
[08:44] | travel, research, depositions, financial analysis, | 差旅 调研 取证 财务分析 |
[08:48] | trial prep, expert witness fees, | 庭审准备 专家鉴定证人 这都要钱 |
[08:49] | not to mention the thousands of man-hours | 这还不算公司投在这个案子上 |
[08:51] | that TAC would invest in the case. | 成千小时的人工费用 |
[08:53] | Look, Brannigan Trust is gonna fight. | 听我说 布兰尼根信托一定会反击的 |
[08:54] | Hard. We could lose millions. | 狠狠地反击 我们可能赔进去几百万 |
[08:57] | We could win millions. | 我们也可能赚上几百万 |
[08:58] | Exactly, all or nothing. | 没错 我们是在孤注一掷 |
[08:59] | You’d be betting the future of the firm on one case. | 你现在是把公司的未来全押这一个案子上了 |
[09:02] | You’re right. It’s a big gamble. | 你说得对 这是一场豪赌 |
[09:06] | Ladies and gentlemen, can I have your attention, please? | 女士们先生们 请允许我说几句 |
[09:09] | My name is Dr. Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[09:11] | Welcome to the class action. | 欢迎各位加入此次集体诉讼 |
[09:22] | We have to prove | 我们需要证明 |
[09:25] | that it was reasonable for our victims | 本案的受害者听从股票经纪人的建议 |
[09:27] | to have relied on the brokers’ advice. | 属于合理之举 |
[09:28] | That advice was fraudulent | 还要证明建议是欺诈性的 |
[09:30] | because the brokers had information | 因为那些股票经纪人并没有 |
[09:32] | that they did not share. | 公开透明所有信息 |
[09:34] | With the operative word being “reasonable.” | 有了那个关键词 合理 |
[09:36] | Civil trial, federal court… | 无论民事审判还是联邦法庭 |
[09:38] | there’s no wiggle room. | 都没有回旋的余地 |
[09:39] | I know. Jury has to be unanimous. | 我知道 陪审团必须意见一致 |
[09:40] | Hey, you know that Bull wants to target Griffin Fuller, | 你知不知道布尔想攻下格里芬·富勒 |
[09:43] | CEO of Brannigan Trust? | 那个布兰尼根信托公司的执行总裁 |
[09:45] | He lawyered up as soon as Bull left his office. | 布尔刚离开他的办公室 他就请了律师 |
[09:48] | ‘Cause he’s got a lot on the line. | 那是因为他有太多可查的了 |
[09:49] | Third largest bank in the world. | 全球第三大银行 |
[09:51] | 5,700 branches, $2.3 trillion in assets, | 五千七百家分行 两万三千亿资产 |
[09:56] | over 72 million clients. | 七百二十多万客户 |
[09:57] | Well, 4,211 of those clients are victims. | 其中有4211个是受害者 |
[10:00] | Yeah, out $100 million. | 对 那也就少了一亿美元 |
[10:02] | Well, with the standard contingency fee, | 按照胜诉酬金标准 |
[10:04] | if we win, we win a third of the judgment. | 如果我们胜诉 我们将得到判决的三分之一 |
[10:06] | A third? | 三分之一吗 |
[10:07] | Minus our expenses. | 别忘了把我们的成本扣除 |
[10:08] | Could also win millions in punitive damages. | 那还有几百万的惩罚性赔偿呢 |
[10:10] | This is exactly what got our victims into trouble. | 我们的受害人就是这么上当的 |
[10:12] | The fantasy of a massive windfall. | 做着巨额意外之财的黄粱美梦 |
[10:14] | Fantasy sold to them | 那也是他们所信任的银行 |
[10:15] | by a bank they trusted. | 给他们编织出来的美梦 |
[10:16] | Okay, we are already way over budget. | 好吧 现在我们已经严重超支了 |
[10:18] | We can’t keep digging into reserves. | 不能再继续动用储备金了 |
[10:20] | Fantasy of easy money. | 幻想着来得快的钱 |
[10:21] | These are the stockbrokers | 这些是布兰尼根的 |
[10:23] | from Brannigan’s Alternative Investment Division. | 另类投资部门的证券经纪人 |
[10:25] | Were. They all got pink-slipped when the division was shut down. | 曾经是 部门关闭后他们都被解雇了 |
[10:27] | – Where are they now? – Telemarketing, | – 他们现在在哪 – 电话销售 |
[10:28] | sales, brokerage firms. | 推销员 经纪公司 |
[10:30] | Wait, Sofia Dern | 等一下 索菲亚·德恩 |
[10:32] | pulled in nearly $750,000? | 赚了近七十五万美元吗 |
[10:35] | Pump-and-dump was very good to her. | 她对拉高出货这招可是拿手的很 |
[10:37] | Yeah, I know a little | 是的 我对股市 |
[10:38] | about the stock market, but my knowledge of | 也略知一二 但我对拉高出货的了解 |
[10:40] | a pump-and-dump doesn’t go beyond that movie “Boiler Room”. | 只限于《抢钱大作战》这部电影 |
[10:42] | So how are we gonna explain that to a jury without the aid of | 找不到年轻版的本·阿弗莱克或文·迪塞尔 |
[10:45] | a young Ben Affleck or Vin Diesel? | 我们到时该怎么向陪审团解释 |
[10:48] | Pump-and-dump fraud is as old | 拉高出货骗局的历史 |
[10:50] | as stock brokering itself. | 跟证券经纪一样悠久 |
[10:52] | There are three steps. | 骗局有三步 |
[10:54] | Step one: the buy. | 第一步 买入 |
[10:56] | Stockbrokers in Brannigan Trust | 布兰尼根信托的证券经纪人 |
[10:59] | purchased millions of dollars worth of stocks for themselves. | 自己首先买入价值百万美元的股票 |
[11:02] | Then they got their clients to purchase the same stocks, | 然后他们游说自己的客户大批量地 |
[11:05] | on a massive scale. | 买入相同的股票 |
[11:07] | You don’t want to buy a stock. No. | 你买的不是股票 不对 |
[11:09] | You want to buy a life, Jake. | 你买的是生活 杰克 |
[11:12] | The life you deserve. | 你所值得拥有的生活 |
[11:14] | Jake, this is your chance. | 杰克 这就是你的机会 |
[11:16] | Buy that life. | 买下你要的生活 |
[11:18] | Yes! | 这就对了 |
[11:20] | Step two: the pump. | 第二步 哄抬 |
[11:23] | More and more people invested in this stock. | 不断有人投资这支股票 |
[11:25] | Let’s call it Hagen Tool & Die. | 我们姑且称这支股票为哈根模具 |
[11:27] | That made the price skyrocket. | 大量的买入使股价一飞冲天 |
[11:31] | A $2 stock was suddenly worth $10. | 原本两元一股突然涨到十元 |
[11:33] | The clients were thrilled. So were the brokers. | 客户们乐疯了 经纪人也一样 |
[11:38] | Chug, chug, chug, chug, chug… | 喝 喝 喝 |
[11:47] | All right, let’s hear it for Hagen Tool & Die | 好了 我们来掌声庆祝哈根模具 |
[11:50] | closing in at 15 2/10! | 在下午三点以十元高价收盘 |
[11:56] | Step three: the dump. | 第三步 抛出 |
[11:59] | When the stock is worth many times | 当该股票的价格 |
[12:01] | what the brokers paid for their shares… | 已是经纪人买入价的几倍时… |
[12:03] | Sell! Sell! | 抛 抛 |
[12:04] | Yes, all of my shares. Are you deaf? | 对 我所有的股份 你聋了吗 |
[12:07] | The sudden flood of supply made the stock value tank. | 突然的撤离使股价崩盘 |
[12:09] | But the brokers had already cashed out tens of millions. | 而经纪人们则已套现上千万 |
[12:14] | Yes! Oh, yes! | 好 太好了 |
[12:17] | Meanwhile, the clients… they lost everything. | 与此同时 客户们… 却倾家荡产 |
[12:22] | The mock jury loved the presentation, | 模拟陪审团很喜欢你的说明 |
[12:23] | but they still found for the bank. | 不过他们还是倾向于银行 |
[12:25] | The majority still think our clients were greedy | 多数陪审员仍认为我们的客户太贪心了 |
[12:27] | or stupid or both. | 或太蠢了 或者又贪又蠢 |
[12:29] | Well, they haven’t heard from Erin. | 他们还没听到艾琳的陈述 |
[12:31] | She’ll present well. | 她会很出色的 |
[12:33] | School teacher, smart, not out for money. | 教师 聪明 手头不拮据 |
[12:36] | No, it’s not enough. | 不 这还不够 |
[12:38] | We have to change the narrative entirely | 我们得彻底改变我们的说辞 |
[12:40] | because this case is all about trust. | 这个案子是关于信任的 |
[12:43] | These investors trusted their bank. | 投资者信任银行 |
[12:46] | They’d never give their money to some fly-by-night operation. | 他们才不会把钱交给靠不住的人手上 |
[12:50] | We could target jurors who are loyal to particular brands, | 我们可以针对那些对某些品牌忠实的陪审员 |
[12:53] | people who understand | 那些可以理解 |
[12:54] | why victims trusted the Brannigan name. | 受害者为何信任布兰尼根这一名号的陪审员 |
[12:56] | No, brand-loyal jurors will find for Brannigan. | 不行 有品牌忠实度的陪审员会支持布兰尼根 |
[12:58] | They want to believe in their established institutions. | 他们更愿意相信这个建立已久的银行体系 |
[13:02] | We want the opposite. | 这和我们期待的截然相反 |
[13:03] | Disloyal jurors? | 那没有品牌忠实度的陪审员吗 |
[13:05] | People who aren’t attached to specific brands. | 没有特殊品牌偏好的人 |
[13:07] | People who know you can’t just blindly rely on a name. | 那些明白你不能盲目信任某个牌子的人 |
[13:10] | So people who keep their money under the mattress. | 你是指那些把钱藏床垫里的人 |
[13:12] | Yeah. They shop in independent bookstores, | 对 他们在独立书店购物 |
[13:15] | and they eat at mom-and-pop diners. | 在家常小饭馆就餐 |
[13:20] | We want jurors who will accept | 我们需要会接受这个理念的陪审员 |
[13:23] | that just because it’s called Brannigan Trust | 不是因为它叫布兰尼根信托 |
[13:27] | doesn’t mean it can be trusted. | 就代表它真的值得信任 |
[13:34] | So what’s this? | 你这是干什么呢 |
[13:36] | Your hand. | 你的手 |
[13:38] | It’s a sign of uncertainty. That’s unlike you. | 那意味着心有存疑 这可不像你 |
[13:40] | It’s also an indicator of an itchy neck. | 那也意味着我脖子很痒 |
[13:46] | I hope it doesn’t get any worse. | 希望不会恶化 |
[13:48] | I’m sure it’s just a bite. | 我肯定就是蚊子咬的 |
[13:50] | I mean this trend of tardiness lately. | 我是指你最近总迟到 |
[13:52] | Sorry, I didn’t even realize we had an early meeting. | 抱歉 我不知道今天有早会 |
[14:02] | That’s good news. | 这是好事啊 |
[14:04] | Judge Vortuba is hearing t he case. | 审理此案的沃图巴法官 |
[14:08] | That’s not good news. | 这可不是什么好事 |
[14:10] | Uh, I thought you guys were buddies. | 你们不是哥们吗 |
[14:13] | We were. | 以前是 |
[14:14] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[14:15] | The Honorable Judge Robert Vortuba presiding. | 尊敬的罗伯特·沃图巴法官阁下主审 |
[14:18] | Good morning, everyone. | 大家早上好 |
[14:22] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[14:23] | Judge. | 法官阁下 |
[14:24] | Uh, before we get started, | 在我们开始之前 |
[14:26] | I want to disclose that I keep some of my money | 我想告诉你们我有一部分财产 |
[14:28] | in Brannigan Trust… | 就存在了布兰尼根信托公司 |
[14:29] | I don’t think it’s a conflict. | 但我不认为这与本案有任何矛盾之处 |
[14:30] | But in the interest of fairness, | 不过为了公平起见 |
[14:32] | I’ll entertain argument. | 我会尊重你们的意见 |
[14:33] | – We need a new judge. – Leave it. | – 我们需要一个新法官 – 别管了 |
[14:34] | He gave you the stink eye; that is not a good sign. | 你看他看你那厌恶的眼神了吗 不是个好兆头 |
[14:37] | If you ask him to recuse himself, | 如果你要求撤换法官 |
[14:38] | he’ll turn you down, and then he’ll hold it against you | 他是不会同意的 然后在接下来的整个庭审中 |
[14:41] | for the rest of the trial. | 他还会来利用这个针对你 |
[14:42] | What did you do to him? | 你到底对他做了什么 |
[14:43] | Long story. | 一言难尽啊 |
[14:44] | Any objections, Counselor? | 律师们 有何异议吗 |
[14:45] | Uh, none whatsoever. | 我们没有意见 |
[14:47] | We’re confident of Your Honor’s ability | 我们相信法官阁下 |
[14:48] | to be fair and impartial. | 能够始终保持公平公正 |
[14:51] | We respectfully request that you recuse yourself. | 我们充满敬意的请求您能回避此案 |
[14:54] | Your request is | 你的请求我知道了 |
[14:55] | duly noted and denied. | 不过我拒绝回避 |
[14:56] | Your Honor, for the record, | 法官阁下 |
[14:58] | I have to state that this lawsuit is nothing more | 我必须要声明一下这场官司 |
[15:02] | than a thinly veiled shakedown. | 其实就是个很明显的勒索案 |
[15:03] | I think that’s for the jury to decide. | 我觉得那是由陪审团来决定的 |
[15:05] | Dr. Bull, I wasn’t aware you had a law degree. | 布尔博士 我之前都不知道你还有法学文凭 |
[15:08] | No, still just the PhDs. | 我就有个博士文凭而已 |
[15:10] | Oh, good. | 很好 |
[15:11] | Well, we’re about to start voir dire, | 我们即将对陪审团进行预先审查 |
[15:14] | and I’m not going to allow anybody to manipulate my jury. | 我绝对不允许任何人在背后操纵陪审团 |
[15:16] | Isn’t that the purpose of a trial? | 这不就是这次庭审的目的吗 |
[15:18] | Lawyers try to influence the jury | 律师们用真相和自己的论据 |
[15:20] | with facts and arguments? | 尝试着去影响陪审团的最后决定 |
[15:22] | You’ll be allowed back in the courtroom | 我允许你在我们结束审查后 |
[15:23] | after we finish voir dire. | 再回到这个审判室 |
[15:24] | Uh, respectfully, | 充满敬意的 |
[15:27] | I’d ask the court’s indulgence. | 我希望法官阁下您能包容一下 |
[15:29] | Dr. Bull is an integral part of the team. | 布尔博士是我们团队必不可少的一分子 |
[15:31] | I made my ruling. | 我已经裁决了 |
[15:36] | Have fun. | 好好玩吧 |
[15:38] | Your Honor. | 法官阁下 |
[15:41] | Counsel. | 律师 |
[15:44] | Benny did a good job in voir dire, | 本尼对陪审团的审查做的非常好 |
[15:46] | but we have some problems. | 但是我们依旧有些难题 |
[15:48] | Bull could have been there to help, | 布尔本来是可以在那帮助我们的 |
[15:50] | if he hadn’t ran over the judge’s dog. | 如果他没有开车压死法官的狗的话 |
[15:51] | – It was a cat, actually. – Oh. | – 其实是只猫 – 好吧 |
[15:53] | Very old. I’m kidding. | 一只很老的猫 我开玩笑的 |
[15:55] | I told you | 我告诉过你 |
[15:56] | not to ask him to recuse himself. | 不要向他提出让他回避的请求 |
[15:58] | I made a judgment call. | 我跟着我的判断走 |
[16:00] | That’s what worries me. | 那才是让我最担心的 |
[16:01] | Juror number one, Sienna White, | 陪审员一号 茜安娜·怀特 |
[16:04] | she has a PhD in linguistics. | 她是个语言学博士 |
[16:07] | Hard worker, rule follower. | 工作努力 循规蹈矩 |
[16:09] | Bad for us. | 对我们没好处 |
[16:10] | She’ll think our clients were looking | 她会认为我们的客户其实是想 |
[16:12] | to make a fast buck. | 投机取巧赚快钱 |
[16:13] | Juror number three is Larry Dane. | 陪审员三号是拉里·丹 |
[16:14] | He’s a problem. | 他是个麻烦 |
[16:15] | He’ll think our clients are reckless. | 他会认为我们的客户非常冲动 |
[16:17] | But I ran out of strikes. | 可是我没法把他挑出去了 |
[16:19] | Well, don’t fret, Benny. | 没关系 本尼 别担心 |
[16:21] | We have a secret weapon. | 我们有个秘密武器 |
[16:23] | 4,211 clients, and we get to select | 4211位客户 我们可以自己选择 |
[16:25] | which ones the jury will see. | 想让陪审团看到哪些 |
[16:27] | Shopping for witnesses. Fun. | 像购物一样 有意思 |
[16:29] | We get to pick the ones who appeal to each of our jurors. | 我们根据每名陪审员会产生好感的的类型来挑 |
[16:32] | We just need a star witness to lead off, | 我们只是需要一个人去领导陪审团 |
[16:34] | someone with instant appeal | 一个能够瞬间让茜安娜和拉里 |
[16:36] | to Sienna and Larry, | 产生好感的人 |
[16:38] | someone to cement our narrative in their minds. | 一个能牢牢记住我们说的话的人 |
[16:40] | I will run all of our clients through the algorithm | 我会用系统把所有客户都过一遍 |
[16:42] | and narrow it down to 50. | 最后缩小到五十位 |
[16:44] | Great. Let’s make a competition out of this, | 很好 我们比个赛吧 |
[16:46] | boiler-room style. | 就像电话交易所一样 |
[16:48] | Everyone picks their favorite candidate and argues their case, | 每个人选自己最中意的客户然后为其辩护 |
[16:50] | and the mock jury will decide the winner. | 最后由模拟陪审团来决定谁是最后赢家 |
[16:53] | And what’s the prize? | 奖励是什么呢 |
[16:55] | $5,000 bonus. | 五千块的津贴 |
[16:56] | Why don’t we just go with Erin? | 那不如就选艾琳吧 |
[16:58] | She brought us the case. | 这案子本来也是由她而起 |
[16:59] | Her demeanor is too amenable, Benny. | 她太容易被人左右了 本尼 |
[17:01] | The prosecution will | 原告律师会将她说成 |
[17:02] | make her out to be a novice investor, easily pressured. | 一个新入行的投资者 很容易受压 |
[17:05] | They’ll say she was coaxed into buying the stocks, | 他们会说她是被哄着去买的股票 |
[17:08] | but there was no fraud. | 但是那并不是诈骗 |
[17:09] | I’ll-I’ll prep her. | 我能让她准备好 |
[17:10] | It’ll be good for her to get her story out. | 能将她的故事说出来对她也是好事 |
[17:13] | She can give a victim impact statement after we win. | 她可以在我们赢了后提供受害者的陈述 |
[17:15] | Just give me a chance | 给我一个机会吧 |
[17:16] | to see if the mock jury resonates with her. | 看看模拟陪审团会不会和她产生共鸣 |
[17:19] | – You do have a type. – Come on. | – 她还真是你喜欢的类型 – 别这样 |
[17:21] | Okay, fine, in the spirit of competition, | 好吧 本着竞争的精神 |
[17:24] | she is now officially your pick for the finals. | 她现在正式成为了你参加决赛的选择 |
[17:26] | Prove me wrong. | 证明我是错的 |
[17:33] | These people should have met with their financial advisor | 这些人应该在交出他们毕生积蓄前 |
[17:36] | before giving away their life savings. | 亲自见见他们的金融顾问 |
[17:38] | Well, I’ve never met my financial advisor. | 我就从来没见过我的金融顾问 |
[17:40] | What… You have a financial advisor? | 什么 你还有金融顾问吗 |
[17:42] | Yeah, he handles my portfolio. | 是的 他帮我处理我的投资组合 |
[17:44] | She has a portfolio. | 她还有投资组合 |
[17:45] | How much money do you have? | 你到底多有钱啊 |
[17:47] | None of your business. | 这可与你无关 |
[17:48] | What are you invested in? | 你投资了什么 |
[17:50] | Okay, if you must know, I put most of my money | 好吧 你要真想知道 我大部分财产都放进了 |
[17:52] | in aggressive S&P index funds. | 非常有冲劲的S&P指数基金 |
[17:53] | You know, ’cause I’m young. | 你知道的 因为我还很年轻 |
[17:55] | Wait a minute, what else are you invested in? | 等等 你还投资了哪些 |
[17:57] | Medical marijuana. | 医用大麻 |
[18:08] | – Who is that? – Uh, don’t worry about it. | – 那是谁 – 不用担心 |
[18:09] | What… You found someone. | 你找到人选了 |
[18:10] | – Why didn’t you pick Erin? – I didn’t have a chance. | – 你怎么不选艾琳 – 我没有机会啊 |
[18:13] | Benny grabbed her up. | 本尼把她抢走了 |
[18:14] | Benny, huh? What’s going on there? | 本尼啊 怎么回事 |
[18:16] | You got me, | 你问倒我了 |
[18:16] | but I’ll still find someone to win this. | 不过我还是能找到合适的人赢这场比赛 |
[18:18] | In your dreams. The five grand is mine. | 做梦吧 那五千块我赢定了 |
[18:25] | Snooze you lose! | 错失良机 |
[18:28] | Let the games begin. | 游戏开始 |
[18:29] | Erin Howland, 32. | 艾琳·霍兰德 三十二岁 |
[18:32] | Single, teacher, fiscally responsible. | 单身教师 对自己的财政问题很上心 |
[18:35] | And donates to charity. | 并且还会给慈善机构捐钱 |
[18:37] | Bring her home to your mom, not this jury. | 带回家给你妈过目吧 不是这位陪审员 |
[18:39] | My client, Nell, | 我的客户 尼尔 |
[18:40] | and juror number three, Larry, | 还有陪审员三号 拉里 |
[18:41] | both have backgrounds | 他们的背景相似 |
[18:43] | in computer science. | 都学过计算机科学 |
[18:44] | Their analytical and forward-thinking mindset | 他们善于分析的能力和超前思维 |
[18:47] | will ensure that Larry can relate to her. | 能够保证拉里可以和她产生共鸣 |
[18:49] | You got Larry, | 你是拿下拉里了 |
[18:50] | but the other 11 jurors are gonna see Nell as nitpicky. | 但其他十一个陪审员会觉得尼尔吹毛求疵 |
[18:53] | Hank? No. | 汉克吗 不行 |
[18:54] | Trustworthy, good eye contact and posture. | 值得信赖 有良好的眼神接触和姿态 |
[18:57] | He looks arrogant and unapproachable. | 他看起来很自大而且不易接近 |
[18:59] | He’ll alienate our best jurors. | 而且他还会离间我们看好的那几个陪审员 |
[19:00] | My victim has a strong social media presence. | 我选的受害人是社交媒体的常客 |
[19:03] | He’s opinionated, articulate. | 他很有想法 口才也很好 |
[19:05] | – Sienna will love him. – Sienna will hate him. | – 茜安娜会超爱他 – 茜安娜会很讨厌他 |
[19:07] | Your client’s a professional victim. | 你的委托人是个职业受害者 |
[19:08] | His Yelp posts are all complaints. | 他在点评网上发的帖子全是抱怨 |
[19:10] | Yeah, but they’re funny… | 是的 可是那些帖子很逗啊 |
[19:11] | unlike your client, | 不像你的委托人 |
[19:12] | who is blocked by every celebrity on Twitter. | 所有名人都在推特上把他屏蔽了 |
[19:14] | Jasmine’s background check | 茉莉的背景调查简直完美 |
[19:15] | was spotless… not even a traffic ticket. | 连一张交通罚单都没有 |
[19:18] | See what the promise of money did? | 看到那笔奖金的魔力了吧 |
[19:19] | Just like the stockbrokers, you exaggerated the positives | 你们就像那些股票经纪人一样 夸大优点 |
[19:23] | and omitted the negatives. | 无视缺点 |
[19:24] | And that is what our jury has to understand. | 这就是陪审团要明白的东西 |
[19:27] | Yeah, yeah, yeah, but who wins? | 好好好 所以谁赢了 |
[19:28] | No one, yet. | 现在谁都没赢 |
[19:29] | I want to see them after they’ve gone through witness prep. | 我想经过证人准备后再见他们一次 |
[19:32] | Oh, well, I can do that. | 好 我可以培训他们 |
[19:34] | I don’t trust you. | 我不相信你 |
[19:36] | Conflict of interest. | 这有利益冲突 |
[19:37] | Well, you need someone to lead with. | 可是你需要有人领导他们 |
[19:39] | Want to start with Erin? | 想从艾琳开始吗 |
[19:41] | No. Doesn’t set the right tone. | 不 这不合适 |
[19:43] | Break it to her gently. | 好好说 别伤了人家的心 |
[19:46] | We might call you to the stand, | 我们可能会让你作证 |
[19:49] | just not as the first witness. | 只是不是第一位证人 |
[19:51] | I started saving six years ago. | 我六年前就开始存钱了 |
[19:52] | I had $19,000. | 我有一万九千美金 |
[19:55] | Half of it was my mother’s. | 一半我母亲的 |
[19:56] | She was helping me buy a new place | 她本来要帮我买一套新房子 |
[19:58] | so I don’t have to commute an hour and a half | 我就不用在每天浪费一个半小时 |
[20:00] | to school each day. | 去上班了 |
[20:02] | My mom needs that money. | 我妈妈需要那笔钱 |
[20:04] | You can sit next to me | 在庭审期间 |
[20:06] | at the plaintiff’s table during the trial. | 你可以坐在我身边原告的位置 |
[20:14] | Did Bull okay you to offer Erin a seat at the table? | 布尔同意你在庭审时给艾琳留座位吗 |
[20:18] | What? You saw her. It was damage control. | 怎么了 你也看到了 我只是在进行损害控制 |
[20:21] | Where’s Benny Colón? | 本尼·科隆在哪里 |
[20:23] | Oh, that’s me. You are…? | 我就是 你是… |
[20:25] | Sofia Dern. Why the hell’d you send me a subpoena? | 索菲亚·德恩 你为什么要给我发传票 |
[20:27] | You sent her a subpoena? | 你给她发传票了吗 |
[20:28] | Bull must have sent it. | 肯定是布尔干的 |
[20:30] | Well, uh, you were a broker at Brannigan Trust, | 好吧 你以前是布兰尼根信托公司的经纪人 |
[20:33] | which means you have relevant information. | 也就是说你掌握了相关信息 |
[20:35] | You need to tell the jury what happened. | 你得让陪审团知道发生了什么 |
[20:37] | How much you gonna pay me? | 你们付我多少钱 |
[20:38] | It doesn’t work that way. | 不是这样的 |
[20:39] | The SEC involved? | 美国证券交易委员会也有份吗 |
[20:40] | No one is charging you with a crime. | 没人会起诉你犯罪 |
[20:43] | So I’m an expert witness. | 这么说我是鉴定人了 |
[20:44] | You’re lucky you’re not at the defense table. | 你很幸运你不在被告那方 |
[20:46] | No money, no testimony. | 不给钱我也不会作证 |
[20:48] | If you don’t show up, you will be subject to arrest. | 如果你不来 你会被捕的 |
[20:59] | Our victims all feel like victims. | 我们的受害人都一副受害者的样子 |
[21:00] | We need a predator right off the bat. | 我们现急需一个人扮演掠食者的角色 |
[21:02] | What… you got to be kidding me. | 什么 你开玩笑吧 |
[21:04] | No, jury’s gonna love her, especially Sienna and Larry. | 不 陪审团会喜欢她的 特别是茜安娜和拉里 |
[21:10] | We just found our star witness. | 终于找到最佳人选了 |
[21:20] | We empathize with those who lost money, | 我们对那些失财的人深表同情 |
[21:22] | but that’s the nature of the market. | 但市场就是这样 |
[21:24] | Mr. Fuller is too much of a gentleman to say it, | 富勒先生实在是太绅士而不好说出这些话 |
[21:26] | so I’ll say it. | 所以由我来说 |
[21:27] | The plaintiffs are unwilling | 原告们并不愿意接受 |
[21:28] | to accept the consequences of their decisions, | 自己错误决定带来的后果 |
[21:31] | and now they’re seeking compensation | 他们现在只是想从财力雄厚的人那里 |
[21:32] | from the deepest pockets. | 求得补偿 |
[21:33] | Predictable, trying to paint our clients as greedy. | 我早算到了 他们想让大家认为委托人很贪婪 |
[21:36] | We’re giving them plenty of ammunition | 我们从索菲亚开始 |
[21:38] | by starting off with Sofia. | 给他们提供把柄 |
[21:40] | The jury’ll see what our clients were up against. | 陪审团会看见我们委托人面对的人到底有多狠 |
[21:42] | Prep was a nightmare. | 证人培训简直是个噩梦 |
[21:44] | She doesn’t want to testify. | 她并不想出庭作证 |
[21:45] | Stick with the plan, play to her ego. | 跟着计划走 抓住她很自大的这一点 |
[21:47] | She won’t be able to resist bragging about her conquests. | 她一定会忍不住炫耀 |
[21:50] | She’s gonna help us prove the elements of fraud. | 她会帮助我们证明这就是个欺诈案 |
[21:53] | She is going to be uncooperative. | 她是不会乖乖合作的 |
[21:55] | I’ll have to treat her as a hostile witness. | 那我就要把她当成敌意证人对待了 |
[21:57] | Vortuba’s not gonna let you ask | 沃图巴是不会让你问主导问题的 |
[21:58] | leading questions, so don’t do it. | 所以不要这么做 |
[22:00] | What is it with you and that judge? | 你和法官之间到底发生了什么啊 |
[22:02] | He’s not the problem. | 问题不是他 |
[22:03] | I need her cooperative | 我需要她的合作 |
[22:04] | and not feeling forced; are you on board? | 而不是让她感觉是被逼的 你懂吗 |
[22:13] | Where is your star witness? | 你的最佳人选呢 |
[22:15] | Building anticipation for her testimony, no doubt. | 为自己的证词想对策呢 绝对 |
[22:20] | Are all parties ready to proceed? | 原告被告双方准备好开庭了吗 |
[22:21] | The defense answers ready for trial. | 被告准备好了 |
[22:26] | – Mr. Colón? – Yes, Your Honor. | – 科隆先生 – 是的 法官阁下 |
[22:28] | Our first witness is not here yet. | 我们的第一证人还没来 |
[22:30] | I’d like to request an arrest warrant | 我希望申请拘捕令 |
[22:32] | for failure to appear. | 以未出庭作证为由对其进行逮捕 |
[22:33] | It is so ordered. You have until the end of the day | 已经准备好了 你得在今天结束之前找到她 |
[22:35] | to find her, but the show must go on. | 但庭审不会因此终止 |
[22:38] | So we’ll have a 30-minute recess, | 所以我们会有一个三十分钟的间歇 |
[22:40] | and then we’ll hear opening statements | 然后进行开庭陈词 |
[22:42] | and go right into witnesses. | 随后直接进行证人盘问环节 |
[22:50] | You’ve reached Sofia Dern’s office. | 这是索菲亚·德恩的办公室 |
[22:52] | Straight to voice mail. | 语音留言 |
[22:54] | None of the other witnesses are ready to testify. | 也没有其他证人准备好作证了 |
[22:56] | – Then stall. – How? | – 那就拖下去 – 怎么拖 |
[22:58] | File a motion. | 提出议案 |
[22:59] | Argue a point of discovery. | 说你有了一个新的发现 |
[23:00] | You’ve done this before. | 你之前做过这件事的 |
[23:03] | What… Where are you going? | 你去哪里 |
[23:05] | Shop for a car. | 去买辆车 |
[23:07] | Stall till I get back. | 一直拖到我回来 |
[23:09] | You don’t have to come up with some bogus reason | 你不用想假理由去拖这场庭审 |
[23:11] | to stall and annoy the jury; put me on the stand. | 陪审团会烦的 让我作证吧 |
[23:13] | Bull wants to see you in front of a mock jury first. | 布尔想先在模拟陪审团见你一次 |
[23:15] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[23:16] | Look, we haven’t finished your prep. | 听着 我们对你的培训还没有结束 |
[23:18] | Then let’s finish it. I’m a quick study. | 那现在就结束 我学的很快 |
[23:20] | No, we only have 30 minutes. | 不 我们只有三十分钟 |
[23:21] | Have you ever worked with 11-year-olds? | 你和十一岁的孩子一起工作过吗 |
[23:23] | That’s an eternity. | 那简直就是度日如年 |
[23:26] | Silver Tempest, my favorite color. | 银色风暴 我最喜欢的颜色 |
[23:29] | You have good taste. | 你的品位很好 |
[23:30] | This is the sexiest car on the lot. | 这是最性感的那一辆 |
[23:31] | Well, I’ve been eyeing it for a while. | 是的 我一直都想买这辆车 |
[23:33] | It’s the perfect ride for people like us. | 这车对于我们这种人来说堪称完美 |
[23:35] | People like us? | 我们这种人 |
[23:36] | Someone who won’t settle for | 只能被最好的 |
[23:37] | anything but the best. | 吸引的人 |
[23:40] | Am I wrong? | 我说错了吗 |
[23:41] | Well, cars like this can be temperamental. | 好吧 这样的车性能不稳定 |
[23:44] | I don’t want to spend my whole life in the shop. | 我不想把我这辈子的时间都浪费在这里 |
[23:46] | Well, that is the best feature of them all. | 那这就是这车最好的一点了 |
[23:48] | It’s a brand you can trust. | 这是个值得你信赖的品牌 |
[23:50] | How about we take it for a spin? | 我们可以试驾吗 |
[23:52] | Why don’t we? | 为什么不呢 |
[23:55] | I trusted them. | 我相信了他们 |
[23:56] | I had no reason not to. | 我没有原因不去相信 |
[23:58] | I’d been with Brannigan since I was a teenager. | 我年轻时就一直在布兰尼根信托公司这办业务 |
[24:00] | My babysitting money was in there. | 我照顾孩子赚的钱都在那里面 |
[24:02] | This looks a lot easier when Bull does it. | 怎么布尔做的时候看着就那么容易 |
[24:04] | I’ve never fallen for anything like this. | 我从来没有摔的这么惨过 |
[24:06] | Fool me once. | 就骗了我一次 |
[24:07] | How’s it going? | 进行的怎么样了 |
[24:09] | Sienna’s tilting her head. | 茜安娜在歪头 |
[24:10] | It looks like she’s warming to Erin. | 看起来她和艾琳产生了共鸣 |
[24:11] | I can relate. | 可以理解 |
[24:12] | Pretty much every teenage girl on the planet | 几乎这世界上所有的小女生 |
[24:14] | earned money babysitting. | 都会靠照顾孩子赚钱 |
[24:16] | Not me. | 我就不是 |
[24:17] | – Why not? – All my siblings were older. | – 为什么不 – 我是最小的 |
[24:18] | They babysat me. | 都是别人来照顾我 |
[24:19] | My parents made me come up | 我父母让我用更标新立异的方法 |
[24:21] | with more creative ways to make money. | 自己赚钱 |
[24:23] | – Like hacking? – Maybe. | – 比如当黑客吗 – 也许 |
[24:24] | Years ago, Ms. Howland, | 很多年前 霍兰德女士 |
[24:27] | you donated to the Humanitarian Fund of America. | 你曾经向美国人道主义基金会捐过钱 |
[24:31] | I think that was the name of it. | 我记得好像是这么个名字 |
[24:32] | Uh, is there a point to this, Your Honor? | 法官阁下 请问这些有什么意义吗 |
[24:34] | Charity was a fraud. | 那家慈善机构就是个诈骗机构 |
[24:36] | Shut down by the IRS three years ago. | 美国国税局三年前就把它关了 |
[24:39] | Wait, why did Erin not tell us | 等等 为什么艾琳没有告诉我们 |
[24:40] | that she’d been conned before? | 她之前也被骗过呢 |
[24:41] | By the looks of it, she just found out. | 看她表情也是才知道 |
[24:43] | It’s not like we have a list of every charity she donated to. | 我们又没有她捐赠过的机构名单 |
[24:46] | We need to prove that her actions were reasonable. | 我们需要证明她所做的是合理的 |
[24:49] | Like Bull predicted, | 和布尔预料的一样 |
[24:50] | he’s making her look uninformed, | 他在让她看起来是个无知的人 |
[24:52] | like she doesn’t do her homework. | 不会提前做功课 |
[24:53] | HFOA was a fraud? | 美国人道主义基金会是个诈骗集团吗 |
[24:54] | – Are you sure? – So I guess it’s… | – 你确定吗 – 所以我想这可能 |
[24:57] | fool you twice, isn’t it, Ms. Howland? | 是你第二次被骗了对吗 霍兰德女士 |
[25:00] | Objection! | 反对 |
[25:04] | We still have other witnesses. | 我们还有其他的证人 |
[25:06] | How am I so gullible? | 我怎么这么容易上当受骗呢 |
[25:10] | We all make mistakes. | 我们都会犯错 |
[25:12] | Sometimes well-meaning, but still life-changing. | 有时候我们本意是好的 可结果还是出乎意料 |
[25:16] | I recently had a case resurface. | 我最近有个案子重审了 |
[25:22] | I sent a man to prison for nine years | 我把一个人送进了监狱 |
[25:23] | for a crime he didn’t commit. | 让他白白坐了九年牢 |
[25:26] | So… | 所以… |
[25:28] | I know what you’re dealing with. | 我知道你现在在经历什么 |
[25:32] | Look, you are not a fool. | 听着 你并不是一个傻子 |
[25:36] | Okay? | 知道吗 |
[25:37] | You are a kind | 你是一个善良 |
[25:39] | and beautiful woman, | 漂亮的女士 |
[25:40] | whose kindness got taken advantage of. | 你的善意只是被人利用了而已 |
[25:43] | Yeah? | 真的吗 |
[25:44] | Yeah. | 真的 |
[25:54] | I bet you love the control. | 我打赌你很喜欢控制别人 |
[25:57] | Indescribable. | 喜欢的难以描述 |
[26:00] | This isn’t my normal route, | 这不是我常走的那条路线 |
[26:01] | but we’re having fun, right? | 可是我们玩的很开心 对吗 |
[26:04] | Right. | 对 |
[26:10] | Why are we stopping here? What’s going on? | 为什么停在这 怎么回事 |
[26:11] | Well, that man has a warrant for your arrest. | 那个男的有一张你的逮捕令 |
[26:14] | You’re supposed to appear in court and testify. | 你本该出现在法庭上作证的 |
[26:16] | In fact, you have about five minutes. | 事实上你还有五分钟 |
[26:19] | If you hurry, you can make it. | 如果你快一点还能赶上 |
[26:20] | What about my car? | 那我的车怎么办 |
[26:21] | Oh, don’t worry, it’s in good hands. | 不要担心 我会好好照顾它 |
[26:23] | I’ll keep it warm for you. | 我会帮你暖车的 |
[26:27] | Tell the truth. | 要说实话啊 |
[26:28] | Sofia Dern, come with me. | 索菲亚·德恩 跟我来 |
[26:37] | Uh, Ms. Dern, | 德恩女士 |
[26:38] | so you were one of the top stockbrokers | 所以你曾是布兰尼根最好的 |
[26:42] | at Brannigan Trust? | 股票经纪人之一吗 |
[26:43] | Are you serious? | 你开什么玩笑 |
[26:44] | I was the top earner. | 最好的就只有我一个 |
[26:46] | Which means what? You were making about | 所以也就是说你每年 |
[26:48] | $300,000 a year? | 都净赚三十万美金吗 |
[26:50] | Last year, I netted over $750,000. | 去年 我就净赚超过七十五万美金 |
[26:53] | Did you disclose | 你有告诉你的客户们 |
[26:55] | your own interest in the stocks to your clients? | 你自己的股票利润吗 |
[26:57] | It was part of the pitch. | 这也是我的推销手段 |
[26:58] | What about when you were planning to sell? | 那么你有告诉过他们你打算什么时候卖吗 |
[27:00] | Did you disclose that? | 你有告知他们过吗 |
[27:01] | Sometimes. | 有些时候 |
[27:02] | But I never said I would. | 但我从没说过我会说 |
[27:03] | You used the name “Brannigan Trust” as bait. | 你用布兰尼根信托公司作为一个诱饵 |
[27:04] | Objection. Leading. | 反对 引导证人 |
[27:06] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[27:07] | Would it surprise you to learn | 如果我告诉你 |
[27:08] | that you mentioned Brannigan Trust | 你平均每打一个电话都要提七次布兰尼根公司 |
[27:10] | an average of seven times per call? | 你是否会感到很意外呢 |
[27:15] | You have to lead with your strongest suit. | 总得亮出自己最拿手的绝活吧 |
[27:17] | Biometrics are telling me | 生物统计学显示 |
[27:19] | that even though we proved the elements of fraud, | 哪怕我们证明了有诈骗的成分 |
[27:21] | the mirrors for Sienna and Larry | 茜安娜和拉里的镜像人物 |
[27:23] | don’t think they’d fall for her pitch. | 也不认为自己会上当受骗 |
[27:25] | They want more than the law requires. | 他们要的不仅仅只有法律上的证据 |
[27:27] | They need to see it wasn’t just fraudulent, | 他们不单需要认为它有欺诈性 |
[27:29] | but malicious as well. | 还要认为它是有恶意的 |
[27:34] | Excuse me, Your Honor. | 不好意思 法官大人 |
[27:45] | Were specific Brannigan clients targeted? | 你们是专门针对某些布兰尼根的客户吗 |
[27:47] | We call them leads. | 我们称他们为带头人 |
[27:48] | Oh. People like Erin Howland | 像艾琳·霍兰德一样的人 |
[27:51] | and first-time investors. | 还有初次投资者 |
[27:52] | Who else? | 还有谁 |
[27:53] | Elderly clients near retirement, | 将要退休的老年顾客 |
[27:55] | so we could pitch them on a last push into wealth | 所以我们能说服他们 在他们用存款生活之前 |
[27:57] | before they have to dip into their savings. | 给自己赚上最后一笔财富 |
[28:00] | Sienna’s getting uncomfortable. | 茜安娜有点不自在了 |
[28:02] | She thinks Sofia’s deceptive. | 她觉得索菲亚不怀好意 |
[28:03] | But our projections indicate that | 但是我们的预计显示 |
[28:05] | six of our jurors won’t hold their ground. | 有六个陪审员不会坚持立场 |
[28:06] | They’ll cave to Larry within the first day of deliberations. | 他们好好考虑之后 第一天就会向拉里屈服 |
[28:09] | And these leads… were they on a list? | 这些带头人… 你们有制作他们的名单吗 |
[28:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:16] | And what was that list called? | 那个名单又叫什么 |
[28:25] | The Sucker’s List. | 烂人名单 |
[28:31] | The Sucker’s List landed on the jury. | 烂人名单已经交给了陪审团 |
[28:33] | Sofia’s really going to help us. | 索菲亚真的是帮了我们大忙了了 |
[28:34] | Why’d you call Erin to the stand? | 你为什么要把艾琳传召上台 |
[28:35] | You said stall. | 你说要拖延时间的 |
[28:37] | Was anything I said unclear when we discussed this? | 讨论这个的时候 我有什么没说清楚吗 |
[28:40] | I didn’t think she’d sway the jury, and she didn’t. | 我不认为她会说服陪审团 她也没有 |
[28:43] | Now we need a new strategy. | 我们现在需要一个新策略 |
[28:44] | – Why? – I… I was in a jam. | – 为什么 – 我… 我刚陷入了困境 |
[28:46] | You can’t lie to me, | 你骗不了我 |
[28:47] | – so don’t try. – Fine! | – 所以别挣扎了 – 好吧 |
[28:48] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[28:49] | I thought she’d do better. | 我以为她会做的更好 |
[28:51] | But come on. | 但是拜托 |
[28:52] | We just started our attack, okay? | 我们刚开始我们的攻势 好吗 |
[28:55] | – Sofia went well. – Not well enough. | – 索菲亚做的很好 – 不够好 |
[28:58] | We need to call Fuller. | 我们需要传召富勒 |
[28:59] | Brannigan’s CEO? | 布兰尼根的总裁吗 |
[29:01] | If we call him, Glauster will get to cross-examine him | 如果我们传召他 格劳斯特可以对他反诘问 |
[29:05] | with softball questions. | 问无关紧要的问题 |
[29:06] | Let the defense call him to the stand. | 让辩方传召他上台 |
[29:07] | We have to call him; otherwise, it’ll look like | 我们必须传召他 不然 |
[29:09] | we’re afraid of what he has to say. | 看上去就像我们怕他上台说话了 |
[29:11] | Worse, it’ll look like he’s a witness for the defense. | 更糟糕的是 他看上去就像辩方的证人 |
[29:13] | – He is. – But it won’t look that way | – 他就是 – 如果我们以控方证人的名义 |
[29:15] | if we call him as a witness for the prosecution. | 他看起来就不是了 |
[29:16] | He’s smooth. | 他为人很圆滑 |
[29:18] | Expose him for who he is: | 那就让他露出真面目 |
[29:20] | a man who made $76 million last year, | 一个让顾客赔得一无所有 |
[29:22] | while his clients lost everything. | 去年还赚了7600万美金的人 |
[29:24] | His company targeted these people and stole their money. | 他的公司针对了这些人 偷走了他们的钱 |
[29:28] | I need aggro-Benny. Pit bull. | 我需要有斗志的本尼 斗牛犬一样的本尼 |
[29:31] | All right. I hear you. | 好吧 我听见了 |
[29:34] | Do you? | 你听见了吗 |
[29:35] | Yes! | 是的 |
[29:39] | Brannigan Trust has a long-standing | 布兰尼根信托公司一直以来 |
[29:41] | tradition of excellence. | 有追求卓越的传统 |
[29:43] | It’s a respected institution, | 是个受人尊敬的机构 |
[29:45] | part of the fabric of so many lives. | 是许多人赖以生存的基础 |
[29:47] | We offer small business loans… | 我们提供小型企业贷款… |
[29:49] | Eh, let’s… let’s focus on your Alternative Investment Division, | 让我… 我们还是谈谈你的另类投资部门 |
[29:54] | where Sofia Dern worked. | 索菲亚·德恩以前工作的部门 |
[29:55] | Ms. Dern is an overly aggressive salesperson. | 德恩小姐是很有野心的销售人员 |
[29:58] | – But your company hired her. – And we fired her. | – 但你公司还是雇了她 – 我们也炒了她 |
[30:00] | Because she was involved in a pump-and-dump | 因为她参与了布兰尼根信托公司支持的 |
[30:03] | supported by Brannigan Trust. | 拉高出货的骗局 |
[30:04] | Objection. Leading, | 反对 诱导性提问 |
[30:05] | compound and badgering. | 双管问题 纠缠证人 |
[30:07] | Sustained, sustained and sustained. | 反对有效 有效 有效 |
[30:10] | Benny’s invading Fuller’s space. | 本尼正在入侵富勒的领域 |
[30:11] | Well, you said pit bull. | 是你说的”斗牛犬一样的本尼” |
[30:13] | Did you close the division? | 你关闭了那个部门吗 |
[30:14] | It was folded into another division. | 它并入了另一个部门 |
[30:18] | It was a corporate decision made | 这是企业在考虑到几个方面后 |
[30:19] | due to several factors, | 做下的决定 |
[30:21] | all in the best interest of our shareholders. | 都是为了股东们的最大利益 |
[30:22] | But not your clients. | 不过不符合客户的利益 |
[30:24] | – Is there a question coming? – Yes, sure. | – 接下来要提问吗 – 是啊 当然 |
[30:25] | Here’s one: | 这个就是 |
[30:27] | Putting all the corporate babble aside, isn’t it true | 把官话都放在一边 这个部门 |
[30:30] | that the division was nothing more than | 难道不就是安置在租金高昂的办公室里的 |
[30:32] | a boiler room in a high-rent office?! | 不法电话交易所吗 |
[30:33] | Objection! | 反对 |
[30:34] | Sustained. Last warning. | 反对有效 最后警告 |
[30:35] | He’s supposed to make Fuller look like the bully, | 他本来应该让富勒看起来在欺负人的 |
[30:37] | not the other way around. | 现在反过来了 |
[30:38] | The high volume | 出售数目之大 |
[30:40] | and the timing of the sale | 还有出售的时间 |
[30:42] | clearly shows intent to defraud, don’t you agree? | 明显说明有诈骗的意图 你不同意吗 |
[30:44] | No, I don’t. | 是的 我不同意 |
[30:46] | Our brokers didn’t sell penny stocks, | 我们的经纪人不卖细价股 |
[30:48] | which are what you normally associate | 这也是你通常 |
[30:50] | with the boiler rooms you’re talking about. | 与不法电话交易所联系到一起的事 |
[30:52] | All stocks were listed on NASDAQ | 所有的股票都在纳斯达克 |
[30:54] | and the New York Stock Exchange. | 还有纽约证券交易所上市 |
[30:56] | More than 4,000 people lost their entire savings. | 有超过四千人失去了一生积蓄 |
[31:01] | And tens of thousands made money. | 也有成千上万的人赚到了钱 |
[31:03] | Now, I do feel for your clients, | 我很同情你的客户 |
[31:05] | but in the same way that I feel for those | 但是同样 我也同情 |
[31:07] | who lose their savings in Vegas. | 在拉斯维加斯输的血本无归的人 |
[31:09] | It’s about personal responsibility. | 这是个人的责任 |
[31:12] | You buried the fact that you targeted Erin, | 你隐瞒了针对艾琳的事实 |
[31:14] | all of these victims, who were referred to | 你之所以把所有受害者称为”烂人” |
[31:16] | as “suckers,” because they were vulnerable. | 是因为他们容易上当 |
[31:18] | Objection! Again, where’s the question? | 反对 他提的问题在哪 |
[31:21] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[31:22] | Larry’s checked out. | 拉里跑神了 |
[31:24] | He’s made up his mind, and it’s not in our favor. | 他已经做好了决定 不利于我们的决定 |
[31:26] | Your Honor, let me rephrase. | 法官阁下 容我重新组织语言 |
[31:27] | We’ve rephrased enough. | 我们已经组织够了 |
[31:28] | Sit down. | 坐下 |
[31:30] | By the way, costs are double our initial estimate. | 顺便一提 成本已经是我们初始预计的两倍了 |
[31:33] | We’ll make it back. | 我们会赢回来的 |
[31:34] | Well, if not, you may need to hit Fuller up for a loan. | 如果不行的话 你可能就要找富勒贷款了 |
[31:41] | Hey, we should talk. | 我们谈谈吧 |
[31:43] | I… I know. I didn’t mean to look embarrassed | 我知道 我不想在陪审团面前 |
[31:45] | in front of the jury, but I didn’t know you were gonna | 表现的那么尴尬的 但我没想到 |
[31:46] | call me out for being vulnerable. | 你会直接说我容易受骗 |
[31:48] | It wasn’t scripted, and I was a little out of control. | 我事先也没有准备这段话 我有点失控了 |
[31:54] | That kiss should’ve never happened. | 你真的不该亲我 |
[31:55] | I know. You’re right. | 我知道 你没说错 |
[31:57] | Can’t happen again. | 不会再发生了 |
[31:59] | It was unprofessional. | 这很不专业 |
[32:01] | And fun. | 也很有趣 |
[32:05] | You are my client. | 你是我的客户 |
[32:08] | And you’re going through a lot. | 你也经历过很多事 |
[32:10] | I don’t want to take advantage of that. | 我不想利用这点 |
[32:13] | Maybe you’re the one who can’t handle it. | 也许你才是搞不定的那个人 |
[32:18] | Congratulations. You could sell water to a whale. | 恭喜啊 你这口才都能让鲸鱼从你这买海水了 |
[32:21] | Whales need water. | 那是因为鲸鱼需要水 |
[32:22] | Thanks for taking care of my arrest warrant. | 谢谢你帮我办逮捕令 |
[32:24] | Thanks for your testimony. | 谢谢你的证词 |
[32:25] | So we’re even. | 那我们互不相欠了 |
[32:26] | – Yeah. – I’ll see you around. | – 是啊 – 我们以后见了 |
[32:28] | I was hoping, uh, we could make one more deal. | 我希望 我们可以再做笔交易 |
[32:30] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么认为 |
[32:32] | You might enjoy it. | 你可能会喜欢的 |
[32:33] | Whatever it is, it’ll cost you. | 不管那是什么 你都要给钱 |
[32:35] | We have one juror who was not convinced by your testimony. | 还有个陪审员并没有被你的证词说服 |
[32:38] | Oh, really? | 是吗 |
[32:39] | Mm. Thinks he’s immune to being sold. | 他可能对我们这套免疫吧 |
[32:41] | You convince him that it’s not just suckers who get scammed, | 你如果可以说服他 不只有烂人才会受骗 |
[32:44] | you can name your price. | 就可以开个价了 |
[32:45] | One provision. | 有个条件 |
[32:46] | You cannot, under any circumstances, discuss the case. | 你在任何情况下都不能提到这个案子 |
[32:49] | Because that would be tampering? | 因为那就是在干预案子了吗 |
[32:53] | Here’s the way I think this works. | 我觉得这件事要这么做 |
[32:55] | It’s all about the approach. | 一切都在于方法 |
[32:58] | At least, that’s what they taught us at the FBI. | 至少 这是他们在FBI教会我们的 |
[33:00] | You know, one time I spent a month | 有次 我花了一个月 |
[33:01] | jogging on the same path as a target | 在目标人物的跑道上慢跑 |
[33:03] | until it felt natural to introduce myself. | 直到最后能自然地介绍自己了 才停下来 |
[33:05] | Sofia’s on the accelerated plan. | 索菲亚在加速计划里面 |
[33:07] | She doesn’t need him to get to turn state’s witness. | 她不需要他来说服证人 |
[33:09] | All she needs to do is convince him | 她只需要说服他 |
[33:10] | that not only suckers get conned. | 不只有烂人会被骗 |
[33:15] | Didn’t I see you in court? | 我们在法庭上见过吧 |
[33:17] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[33:18] | I’m Sofia. | 我叫索菲亚 |
[33:19] | Larry. | 拉里 |
[33:20] | You’re not gonna get that cake pop, are you? | 你不会要点棒棒糖蛋糕吧 |
[33:21] | Oh, no. | 不会 |
[33:23] | Deferential. | 态度恭敬 |
[33:24] | Good first step. | 第一步不错 |
[33:26] | Very appealing to Larry. | 非常合拉里的意 |
[33:27] | You know, it’s so funny. | 这真的很好笑 |
[33:28] | I get to stand up there and you get to hear all about me, | 我坐在证人席上 你有机会了解我 |
[33:31] | but I don’t get to know anything about you. | 但我却没有机会了解你 |
[33:33] | We won’t get in trouble for talking, will we? | 我们谈话不会有麻烦的对吧 |
[33:35] | As long as we don’t talk about the case. | 只要我们不谈案子就行 |
[33:38] | I’m an accountant. | 我是会计师 |
[33:39] | You know, I love numbers. | 我很喜欢搞数字 |
[33:41] | Finance is my passion. | 金融就是我的热情所在 |
[33:47] | Mint? | 要薄荷糖吗 |
[33:49] | Best way to solidify trust is to offer something. | 加深信任的最好方法是给别人什么东西 |
[33:52] | If they accept and offer something in return, | 如果他们接受了还回礼了 |
[33:54] | a bond has been formed. | 联系就建成了 |
[33:57] | My-my treat. | 我请客吧 |
[33:58] | And there it is. | 说来就来 |
[34:04] | And now he’ll trust her no matter what she says. | 现在她说什么他都会信了 |
[34:05] | There’s a table. | 这里有张桌子 |
[34:07] | Uh, sorry. I have to be back in court. | 抱歉 我得赶回法庭了 |
[34:08] | Oh, no. No, you don’t. Not yet. | 不用 不用 现在还不急 |
[34:10] | – You have at least 15 minutes. – Really? | – 你至少还有十五分钟休息时间 – 是吗 |
[34:12] | Yeah. | 对 |
[34:15] | Judge. Hello. | 法官阁下 您好 |
[34:16] | Ms. Dern? | 德恩女士 |
[34:17] | Exactly what are you two doing? | 你们俩在这干什么呢 |
[34:19] | Uh, we’re allowed to talk, aren’t we? | 我们是能交流的 对吧 |
[34:24] | Hey, Judge Vortuba. | 沃图巴法官 |
[34:26] | That’s not good. | 大事不好 |
[34:31] | Oh, don’t give me that. I know this was you, Bull. | 少来这套 我就知道是你 布尔 |
[34:33] | I know it was you! Disgraceful. More cheating. | 我就知道 毫无廉耻之心 不停的搞小动作 |
[34:37] | I didn’t, and I don’t cheat, Judge. | 我以前没有 现在也没有 法官阁下 |
[34:40] | And I can have you disbarred. | 我可以吊销你的律师执照 |
[34:41] | Your Honor, I had no idea Ms. Dern was with one of the jurors. | 法官阁下 我不知道德恩女士也是陪审团一员 |
[34:44] | Oh, their witness was clearly trying to influence him. | 他们的证人很明显想影响他 |
[34:46] | The defense moves for an immediate dismissal, | 辩方应该立即撤销所有的行为 |
[34:49] | with prejudice. | 有倾向性的 |
[34:50] | Do you have any proof that there was misconduct? | 你有他们行为不当的证据吗 |
[34:51] | I would be delighted to hear it. | 我洗耳恭听 |
[34:53] | Res ipsa loquitur. It speaks for itself. | 事实已经不言自明了 |
[34:55] | If I find a scintilla | 如果让我发现丝毫 |
[34:57] | of proof that there was jury tampering… | 表明有干涉陪审团的证据 |
[34:59] | Tuba, you know better than that. | 图巴 你比这要更了解吧 |
[35:01] | Now, the prudent thing to do is to have | 现在最谨慎的做法 |
[35:03] | juror number three removed from the panel | 就是换掉三号陪审团 |
[35:05] | and replaced with an alternate. | 另找一人 |
[35:06] | You’ve got to be kidding me! | 你跟我开什么玩笑 |
[35:07] | You want to be rewarded for what you’ve done? | 你们背后搞完小动作还跑来要奖赏吗 |
[35:09] | Even absent any evidence that they discussed the case, | 即使没有证据表明他们讨论过案情 |
[35:12] | or that his opinion was altered, | 或者他的观点受到了影响 |
[35:14] | you still have the option of removing the juror. | 你还是可以选择换掉这名陪审员 |
[35:16] | No, thank you, Your Honor. | 不必了 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[35:17] | Fine. We’ll move to closing arguments. | 我们要做结案陈词了 |
[35:19] | And you are barred from my courtroom. | 你不许再进我的法庭 |
[35:27] | Well, your plan was inventive. | 你的计划确实很有创意 |
[35:30] | I’ll give you that. | 这点我是承认的 |
[35:32] | Judge Vortuba hasn’t been in a coffee shop in two years. | 沃图巴法官已经两年都不进咖啡店了 |
[35:34] | Today he decides to get his own beverage? | 结果今天就决定买杯饮料喝吗 |
[35:36] | Vortuba already hated us. | 沃图巴已经很受不了我们了 |
[35:38] | I’m worried about Larry. | 我就是担心拉里 |
[35:40] | We need a unanimous vote, and we humiliated him. | 我们要陪审团统一投票 结果我们还羞辱了他 |
[35:43] | Total backfire. | 真是事与愿违 |
[35:45] | Not necessarily. | 不一定 |
[35:47] | True, he’s embarrassed. | 没错 他是颜面受损 |
[35:49] | And he’s gonna blame it on me. | 为此他会怪罪到我头上 |
[35:51] | As an unintended consequence, we almost got Larry booted. | 但是无心插柳 差不多已经达到想要的结果了 |
[35:54] | All we have to do is spin this in our favor. | 现在只要确保这最后对我们有利就行了 |
[35:57] | Bull. | 布尔 |
[35:58] | Our juror is angry. | 我们陪审员很愤怒 |
[36:00] | We tried to trick him. | 我们试图玩弄他 |
[36:02] | Tried. | 试图 |
[36:04] | To prove fraud, we don’t need Larry to have fallen for this. | 为了证明是欺诈 我们不必让拉里真的受骗 |
[36:07] | All we need is to show him he fell for Sofia, | 只要让他意识到自己信了索菲亚花言巧语就行 |
[36:10] | so he can still | 这样他还是能够 |
[36:11] | identify with our victims. | 和我们的受害者站在统一战线 |
[36:12] | shame, then anger. | 感到耻辱 然后愤怒 |
[36:16] | We got this, Benny. | 我们没问题了 本尼 |
[36:19] | These plaintiffs knew exactly what they were doing. | 在座的原告们都清楚知道自己在做什么 |
[36:24] | They played the market, and they lost. | 他们涉足股市 结果输的血本无归 |
[36:27] | So now they’re suing the bank? | 所以现在就跑来起诉银行了吗 |
[36:31] | I mean, what next? | 那下一步他们想干什么 |
[36:33] | Suing the lottery when you don’t win the jackpot? | 中不了彩票就告乐透公司吗 |
[36:37] | That’s not reasonable. | 这可不是什么理智的行为 |
[36:39] | Investors have to take responsibility | 投资者需要对自己的决定 |
[36:43] | for their own decisions. | 承担责任 |
[36:45] | He’s effective. | 他的说法很有效 |
[36:47] | Sienna’s mirror is wavering. | 茜安娜动摇了 |
[36:49] | Being the victim of a scam is a frustrating | 沦为诈骗案的受害者是让人懊恼 |
[36:54] | and embarrassing experience, whether you fall for it or not. | 又失颜面的经历 不论最终是否受骗 |
[37:00] | That’s no reason to blame the victim. | 但这不是我们指责受害者的理由 |
[37:03] | Blame the peoplewho manipulated the system | 要乖就怪幕后推手 |
[37:07] | with target research | 他们做针对性调查 |
[37:09] | and sophisticated marketing tools to con the people | 利用尖端复杂的市场手段欺骗消费者 |
[37:14] | that they didn’t think had the wherewithal | 让他们相信自己没有操控系统的 |
[37:16] | to take on the system. | 必要财力物力 |
[37:17] | Brannigan Trust, | 布兰尼根信托公司 |
[37:20] | a name we all thought we can trust, | 是一个我们天真以为可以相信的名字 |
[37:21] | committed fraudsimply by making the offer. | 仅仅通过提供方案 就轻松犯下诈骗罪行 |
[37:26] | You don’t have to buy into it to see it. | 各位不必真的落入陷阱去切身感受 |
[37:28] | We proved it, their brokers admitted it. | 我们已经证明了 它们的经纪人也承认了 |
[37:32] | Any reasonable person | 任何一个有理智的人 |
[37:34] | can see their misrepresentation of the facts. | 都能辨别他们对于事实的歪解扭曲 |
[37:40] | They’ve been out for five hours. | 他们已经讨论了五个小时了 |
[37:42] | Bull would say that’s a good thing. | 布尔说这是件好事 |
[37:43] | How much money did we spend on this trial? | 我们在这件案子上花了多少了 |
[37:45] | A… lot. | 相当 多 |
[37:48] | Are we gonna be okay if we lose it? | 如果输了我们也没事吗 |
[37:49] | What are you worried about? | 你担心什么 |
[37:51] | With your joint ventures and your bank accounts? | 你不是有自己的投资项目和银行账户吗 |
[37:53] | I told you, I don’t talk about personal finance at work. | 我说过 我不在工作时间谈个人财产 |
[37:56] | Okay, we’re fine. | 好了 我们没事的 |
[37:57] | You have nothing to worry about. | 你们不必担心 |
[38:03] | Jury’s back. | 陪审团回来了 |
[38:06] | What is it with you and this judge? | 你和这个法官到底有什么过节 |
[38:08] | TP his house or something? | 你把人家马桶堵了还是怎么了 |
[38:11] | Chunk, no. | 特朗科 不是的 |
[38:12] | That’s very juvenile. | 你这想法太幼稚了 |
[38:13] | Did you sleep with his wife? | 那你是睡了他老婆吗 |
[38:15] | No. | 不是 |
[38:16] | He thinks I kicked my ball out of the rough. | 他觉得我是把高尔夫球踢出长草区的 |
[38:18] | It was just an acorn. | 其实就是可橡子 |
[38:19] | This is about golf? | 所以你们俩是为了高尔夫闹的 |
[38:20] | – Isn’t everything? – Oh, man. | – 这事还不够大吗 – 我的天 |
[38:22] | You cheated? | 你作弊了吗 |
[38:23] | I don’t need to cheat with him. | 我没必要和他作弊 |
[38:25] | Vortuba’s eyes are failing. | 沃图巴眼神不行了 |
[38:27] | He won’t get checked. | 他搞不定了 |
[38:28] | That’s what I think this is really about. | 我想这才是原因 |
[38:29] | Maybe you can give him a session before this verdict. | 也许你可以在他审判前给他上一课 |
[38:31] | – Here they come! – Can you tell us the verdict? | – 他们来了 – 你们能说一下审判结果吗 |
[38:33] | Did they find in your favor? | 他们认为对你方有利吗 |
[38:34] | We won! | 我们赢了 |
[38:35] | Brannigan Trust is guilty! | 布兰尼根信托公司有罪 |
[38:40] | Excuse me. | 让一下 |
[38:43] | Hi. Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:46] | Thank you so much. | 太感谢了 |
[38:47] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[38:48] | Thank you for everything. | 感谢你做的一切 |
[38:54] | Be careful with her. | 和她在一起上点心 |
[38:56] | What? No, no, no. | 什么 不不不 |
[38:59] | You got it all wrong. We’re not… | 你搞错了 我们没有 |
[39:00] | Looks like you are. | 看起来有啊 |
[39:04] | I thought about it. | 我是想过 |
[39:05] | I wanted to. | 我也想 |
[39:07] | Not the right time. | 但是现在不是时候 |
[39:10] | You tell Bull about the Hayden Watkins thing yet? | 你跟布尔说了海登·沃特金斯的事吗 |
[39:14] | Don’t want to bother the boss with my little problems. | 不想拿我个人的小麻烦烦老大 |
[39:16] | It’s not little, Benny. | 这不是小麻烦了 本尼 |
[39:19] | It’s great. | 太好了 |
[39:20] | I’m so happy. | 我真的很开心 |
[39:22] | Well, good. You deserve it. | 那就好 这是你应得的 |
[39:24] | So I get my $19,000 back? | 所以我能要回我的一万九了 |
[39:26] | And add a zero for punitive damages. | 加上惩罚性赔偿再加一个零 |
[39:29] | That’s amazing. | 太棒了 |
[39:30] | Spend some of it on yourself. | 给自己花点吧 |
[39:32] | And my mom. | 还有我妈妈 |
[39:33] | And your mom. | 还有你妈妈 |
[39:34] | But you should go out and get what you really want. | 但是你真的应该争取自己想要的东西 |
[39:37] | Buy yourself a house. | 为自己买套房 |
[39:39] | Cut down on that hour-long commute to school. | 不用每天奔波一个半小时 |
[39:45] | By the way, | 顺便提一句 |
[39:46] | you never told me how you got Sofia to cooperate. | 你还没告诉我是怎么让索菲亚合作的呢 |
[39:49] | Easy. She’s transactional by nature. | 简单 她本性就是个做交易的人 |
[39:51] | Just had to come up with the right offer. | 提出合理的条件就行了 |
[39:52] | Luckily, I needed a new car. | 碰巧了 我刚好需要一辆新车 |
[39:55] | – Hey. – Hey. | – 嘿 – 嘿 |
[39:56] | Enjoy it. | 好好开吧 |
[39:57] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[39:58] | Come on, I’ll give you a lift home. | 来吧 我载你回家 |
[40:15] | You want to tell me what’s going on with you? | 你想说说你是怎么回事吗 |
[40:19] | It’s nothing. | 没事 |
[40:20] | Well, it… It’s this thing with my co-op, | 就是我合作上的事 |
[40:23] | and it’s not even worth getting into. | 没什么值得聊的 |
[40:27] | So you’ll tell me when you’re ready. | 那就等你准备好了再告诉我吧 |
[40:30] | It’s nothing. | 真的没什么 |
[40:35] | Benny. | 本尼 |
[40:37] | Yeah. | 怎么了 |
[40:38] | Get it together. | 打起精神 |
[40:54] | A wise man told me to go after what I want. | 有个智者告诉我去追求自己想要的 |
[40:57] | So here I am. | 所以我来了 |