时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:14] | I’ve never met a man or woman | 我还没遇到有人 |
[00:16] | who, at some point in their lives, | 在人生的某些时刻 |
[00:18] | doesn’t believe they’ve dodged a bullet. | 不相信自己曾逃过一劫的 |
[00:28] | Walked out to the edge of that cliff we call fate, | 走到那个我们称之为命运的悬崖边 |
[00:31] | and then, | 然后 |
[00:34] | for whatever reason… | 出于某种原因 |
[00:43] | …decided not to jump. | 最终决定悬崖勒马 |
[00:53] | You know the feeling. | 你知道这种感觉的 |
[00:54] | You’re about to make | 你刚要犯一个 |
[00:56] | a life-changing mistake, | 改变一生的错误 |
[00:59] | and then… | 然后 |
[01:02] | You don’t. | 收手了 |
[01:03] | The only thing about those bullets you dodge, | 我们躲开的这些劫数 |
[01:05] | is they do keep traveling, and sometimes, | 永不停歇 有时候 |
[01:08] | they come back to hit you right between the eyes. | 注定在劫难逃 |
[01:10] | So, you just foraging, or you have a lunch meeting? | 所以 你就是来吃口饭 还是有约 |
[01:13] | Actually, I’ve had sushi on the brain for three days. | 其实我最近三天满脑子都想着寿司 |
[01:15] | You know any place good around here? | 你知道这附近有什么好去处吗 |
[01:17] | Nope. | 并不 |
[01:18] | Hey, you know that stuff isn’t cooked, right? | 我说 你知道那玩意不是烹饪出来的吧 |
[01:21] | I only mention it because, you know, | 我这么说是因为 |
[01:22] | they charge you like it’s cooked. | 他们是按照烹饪的价格收钱的 |
[01:25] | Don’t you find that morally dubious? | 你不觉得这在道德上有亏吗 |
[01:27] | I’m way too hungry to play straight man to you, | 我饿死了 没工夫给你捧哏 |
[01:29] | and we got to be back in that deposition in 45 minutes. | 我们只有四十五分钟的时间 就得回去取证了 |
[01:31] | All right, then, so forget about eating guppies and goldfish | 好的 那么请忘掉孔雀鱼和金鱼 |
[01:34] | and come have lunch with me. | 和我共进午餐吧 |
[01:35] | I’m meeting a bunch of old friends | 我要见一帮老伙计 |
[01:37] | who’d be thrilled to meet you. | 他们见到你会很兴奋的 |
[01:38] | You’d be like a movie star to them. | 你就是他们的电影明星 |
[01:41] | All right, how far away is this place, and who are you meeting? | 好吧 那里离这还有多远 还有你要见谁 |
[01:43] | It’s, it’s right here. | 就是这里 |
[01:45] | It’s just a bunch of guys I knew | 就是几个我在地检署 |
[01:46] | from the D.A.’s office when I was an A.D.A. | 当助理检察官时认识的朋友 |
[01:49] | They texted me out the blue this morning, | 他们今早突然给我发信息 |
[01:50] | and said, “Let’s have lunch.” | 说一起吃午饭 |
[01:52] | Yeah, Benny, what are you doing? | 本尼 你干嘛呢 |
[01:54] | You’re under investigation from the D.A.’s office. | 你可正在接受地检署的调查呢 |
[01:55] | No, no, no. It’s-it’s not that, Bull. | 不不不 不是这样的 布尔 |
[01:57] | Okay? I-I know these guys. | 别紧张好吗 我了解他们 |
[01:59] | These guys, they’re my friends. | 他们是我的朋友 |
[02:01] | And-and maybe they know something. | 他们可能知道点什么 |
[02:03] | You know? Maybe… maybe they could tell me something. | 你知道的 他们可能 能告诉我点内部消息 |
[02:09] | Benny, if you need me to come to lunch with you, just ask. | 本尼 要是你想让我和你一起去 直说便是 |
[02:16] | Want to come to lunch with me? | 愿意和我一起去吗 |
[02:19] | – Good to see you, man. – You, too. | – 见到你真开心 老兄 – 我也是 |
[02:21] | Jason. This right here is Wilson Jessup. | 杰森 这位是威尔森·杰西尔 |
[02:24] | Used to be one of the toughest NYPD detectives | 以前是纽约警察局五个分局里 |
[02:28] | in all five boroughs. | 最强的警探 |
[02:29] | Now he’s the head of the northeast region | 现任美国司法局 |
[02:32] | of the United States Department of Justice. | 东北地区局长 |
[02:34] | And this guy right here, | 这位是 |
[02:36] | this guy was my old boss… | 这位是我的老上司 |
[02:37] | In the D.A.’s office. | 在地检署时的 |
[02:38] | Now he’s the head Poobah | 现在是联邦公共 |
[02:40] | of the Federal Public Investigation Unit. | 调查科的老大 |
[02:43] | Well, clearly, you graduated last in your class. | 很显然 你是混得最差的 |
[02:45] | You must be ashamed of yourself. | 肯定自惭形秽吧 |
[02:48] | And this is my current boss, Dr. Jason Bull. | 这位是我的现任老板 杰森·布尔博士 |
[02:54] | Well, this is a great honor, Dr. Bull. | 幸会啊 布尔博士 |
[02:57] | Hope you don’t mind us talking a little shop. | 希望您不要介意我们谈点闲事 |
[03:00] | Our friend Benjamin here has gotten himself | 我们的朋友本杰明 |
[03:01] | into a little bit of a situation. | 遇到了一点小麻烦 |
[03:03] | What kind of situation? | 什么麻烦 |
[03:04] | You ever heard of Hayden Watkins? | 你听说过海登·瓦特金斯吗 |
[03:06] | They called him the Socialite Slayer? | 他们叫他社交名媛杀手 |
[03:08] | It was about ten years ago, now. | 这是十年前的事了 |
[03:10] | They had all those clubs here in the city back then, | 那时候 这里所有夜店都是他们的 |
[03:12] | all those rich 19-year-olds lining up with their phony IDs | 年轻的富家女们拿着假身份证 |
[03:16] | and their daddy’s credit cards to buy bottle service | 和老爸的信用卡排队买酒 |
[03:18] | and to hook up with a married man with an expense account. | 然后和已婚有钱男人鬼混 |
[03:21] | God bless America. | 天佑美国 |
[03:22] | This guy Hayden, he’d cruise the clubs, | 海登这家伙 流连夜店 |
[03:24] | hook up with one of these rich kids, | 勾搭个富二代姑娘们 |
[03:25] | and then they’d never hear from them again. | 然后这些姑娘基本算是踏入虎穴 |
[03:30] | He’d take ’em home, do what he wanted to with them, | 他把她们带回家 为所欲为 |
[03:33] | and bury ’em at the edge of Long Island in a landfill. | 然后把她们埋在长岛的一个垃圾场边上 |
[03:37] | Me and Benny, we put him away. | 我和本尼 把他绳之以法了 |
[03:39] | Ah, look at you. | 真有你们的 |
[03:41] | Yeah, look at me. | 真有我的 |
[03:42] | And then the Rectitude Project decided | 然后三四个月前 |
[03:44] | three or four months ago | 清廉项目组认为 |
[03:46] | that maybe Hayden Watkins had been railroaded. | 海登·瓦特金斯可能是被诬陷的 |
[03:49] | How so? | 怎么讲 |
[03:51] | Well, they convicted him with hardly any physical evidence. | 他们是在没有确切的实在证据给他定的罪 |
[03:54] | No bodies. I mean, by the time | 没有尸体 我是说 |
[03:57] | we found where he was burying them, | 我们发现他的埋尸地点时 |
[03:59] | there… wasn’t enough flesh to pin him to any of the killings. | 并没有有力的尸身证据能定人是他杀的 |
[04:05] | But his last victim was Tinsley Browning. | 但是最后遭他毒手的是汀斯利·布朗宁 |
[04:07] | Yeah, and as luck would have it, one of her contact lenses | 正是 幸运的是 在瓦特金斯的公寓 |
[04:09] | was found in Watkins’ apartment. | 发现了一片她的隐形眼镜 |
[04:10] | Actually, Benny found it. | 实际上 是本尼发现的 |
[04:13] | Contact lens had that animal’s DNA all over it. | 隐形眼镜上沾满了那个禽兽的DNA |
[04:17] | Don’t ask me how it got there, but… | 别问我是怎么跑到那里去的 |
[04:19] | it was there. | 反正证据就是在那 |
[04:23] | I’m waiting for the twist. | 我等着听转折呢 |
[04:25] | Well, well, here’s the twist. | 这就说 |
[04:27] | The DNA test nine years ago used five markers. | 九年前的DNA检测有五个指标 |
[04:31] | Uh, and they were able to match three. | 其中有三个相符 |
[04:33] | Back then, that would be considered a probable match. | 那时候 就被认为很相符了 |
[04:35] | – Would’ve worked for me. – But the new DNA test | – 我也会这么判 – 但是新的DNA检测 |
[04:37] | uses 50 markers. | 有五十个指标 |
[04:39] | And when the Rectitude Project tested the lens again | 两个月前 清廉项目组再一次检测镜片的时候 |
[04:41] | two months ago, only 14 markers matched. | 只有十四组吻合 |
[04:45] | Out of 50. | 一共有五十个指标 |
[04:49] | Well, guys. | 好了 各位 |
[04:50] | I hate to say it, but I don’t think | 无意扫兴 但我觉得我们 |
[04:51] | we’re gonna be staying for lunch. Benny? | 这顿午饭是吃不成了 本尼 |
[04:53] | Did you tell him about the call? | 你跟他说那通电话了吗 |
[04:54] | I told you, I didn’t tell him anything. | 告诉过你了 我什么都没跟他说 |
[04:56] | Well, he got a call the day before trial from a detective | 审判前一天 他收到了一通 |
[04:58] | out on Long Island, working a kidnapping case, | 来自长岛外部探员的电话 他在处理一起绑架 |
[05:01] | same exact M.O., but eyeing a different suspect. | 作案手法一样 但是有嫌疑的人却不是一个 |
[05:05] | – All right, Benny, let’s go. – And that’s a Brady violation. | – 好了 本尼 走 – 这是布雷迪违例 |
[05:07] | You were legally required to disclose that call | 你有法定义务去揭发那通电话 |
[05:09] | and all the particulars | 把所有的细节 |
[05:10] | to the defense counsel. | 都告诉辩护律师 |
[05:11] | Guys, guys, you know as well as I know, | 伙计们 我们知道的都一样 |
[05:12] | this was a high profile case. | 这是起备受关注的案件 |
[05:14] | We got hundreds of random tips | 我们每天收到成百上千条 |
[05:15] | every day that were meaningless. | 胡诌的没用的线索 |
[05:18] | And we had our guy. | 我们抓到了人 |
[05:19] | And we found the contact lens… | 我们也发现了隐形眼镜 |
[05:20] | No, you found the lens. | 不 是你发现的 |
[05:22] | Is that your funeral procession outside? | 外面的是你的送葬队吗 |
[05:23] | Don’t act surprised. We all know what’s going on here. | 不要大惊小怪 大家心知肚明 |
[05:25] | Benny, you know exactly what’s gonna happen next. | 本尼 你很清楚接下来会发生什么 |
[05:29] | You’re a friend, Benny. | 你是自己人 本尼 |
[05:30] | I was giving you a chance to come clean. | 我是给你一个自证清白的机会 |
[05:31] | All right. | 好了 |
[05:33] | Don’t say a word. | 不要说话 |
[05:34] | Let them cuff you, read your rights. | 让他们铐你 宣读你的权利 |
[05:36] | We’ll fix this in court. | 法庭上见 |
[05:39] | Benjamin Colón, you have the right to remain silent. | 本杰明·科隆 你有权保持沉默 |
[05:41] | Anything you say can and will be used against you | 你说的每句话都将成为 |
[05:43] | in a court of law. | 呈堂证供 |
[05:44] | You have the right to speak with an attorney. | 你有权雇佣律师 |
[05:48] | Tie. | 领带 |
[05:50] | What? No, Chunk says that one’s for Benny. | 什么 不 特朗科说那条是本尼的 |
[05:51] | This one’s for you. | 这才是你的 |
[05:53] | I was talking to one of the FBI guys | 联邦调查局盘问本尼的时候 |
[05:55] | while they were processing Benny. | 我跟其中一个说了话 |
[05:57] | He seemed almost certain | 他看起来相当肯定 |
[05:58] | they were gonna charge him with a misdemeanor. | 要以品行不端逮捕他 |
[06:00] | No jail time. | 没有牢狱之灾 |
[06:07] | – Hello. – Thank you. | – 你好 – 谢谢 |
[06:09] | Of course. | 当然 |
[06:10] | – Hey. – Hey. | – 嘿 – 嘿 |
[06:11] | Your noose, sir. | 你的绳结 先生 |
[06:15] | Does, uh, everyone at TAC know? | 公司的人都知道了吗 |
[06:16] | Know what? | 你说呢 |
[06:18] | I hear that. | 我听说了 |
[06:20] | Let’s just get this over with. | 赶快了结了吧 |
[06:22] | I’ll plead guilty and take my lumps. | 我会认罪 接受处罚 |
[06:28] | You know they’re gonna probably want to suspend | 你知道他们要吊销 |
[06:30] | your license to practice. | 你的从业执照 |
[06:32] | Maybe I should’ve told them about that call. | 也许我压根不该告诉他们那通电话 |
[06:35] | Who knows? | 谁知道呢 |
[06:36] | Fine me, suspend me for a year for not reporting that call, | 因为不上报那通电话 罚我停我执照都没问题 |
[06:39] | but I’m gonna tell you this, though. | 但即使这样我还是得跟你说 |
[06:42] | When this crapstorm first started raining down on me, | 开始他们告诉我可能抓错了人的时候 |
[06:44] | I was convinced that they were right. | 我是完全相信他们的 |
[06:47] | You know, m-m-maybe I-I-I messed up. | 有可能 确实我搞砸了 |
[06:50] | Maybe, maybe I-I did something seriously wrong. | 可能是我犯了什么严重的错误 |
[06:54] | Because science says th-that he’s innocent, | 因为科学鉴定结果说他是清白的 |
[06:56] | so, so he has to be innocent, right? | 所以 他一定就是清白的 对吧 |
[06:58] | But I ran it through my head. | 可我把它仔细地想了想 |
[07:00] | Over and over and over again. | 想了一遍一遍又一遍 |
[07:02] | And I know two things. | 最终我确定了两点 |
[07:05] | I really didn’t do anything wrong, | 我的确没有出任何错 |
[07:07] | and he is guilty as sin. | 以及他有罪是铁打的事实 |
[07:13] | Tinsley Browning’s parents. | 是汀斯利·布朗宁的父母 |
[07:15] | Can’t believe they have to go through this again. | 不敢相信他们还得再经历一回 |
[07:16] | Huh. Are they sitting with the district attorney? | 挨着他们坐的可是地方检察官吗 |
[07:19] | And is that counsel for the City of New York? | 另一位是纽约市政厅律师么 |
[07:21] | Yeah, I think so. | 对 我觉得是 |
[07:22] | The hell is he doing here? | 他来干什么 |
[07:28] | It’s a full house, Benny. | 今天满座了 本尼 |
[07:29] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[07:30] | I’m not sure this is gonna go the way we planned. | 我觉得事情可能不会像我们预计的那样进行 |
[07:33] | Afternoon, everyone. Let’s jump right in. | 下午好 诸位 我们开始吧 |
[07:35] | Benjamin Colón, you stand charged | 本杰明·科隆 你被指控犯下 |
[07:39] | with obstruction of justice | 私自隐匿无罪辩解的证据 |
[07:40] | for failure to disclose exculpatory evidence. | 而妨碍司法公正的罪行 |
[07:43] | Additionally, you stand charged | 另外 你还被控 |
[07:45] | with a violation of civil rights for tampering with evidence. | 因篡改证据而侵犯公民权利的罪行 |
[07:48] | – What? – They think you planted | – 什么 – 他们认为海登·瓦特金斯公寓里 |
[07:49] | that lens | 找到的隐形眼镜 |
[07:50] | at Hayden Watkins’ apartment. | 是你故意放在那的 |
[07:51] | Seriously? | 不是吧 |
[07:53] | No, I would never do anything like that; they know that. | 没有 我绝不会干那种事 他们知道我的为人 |
[07:56] | I don’t think they care, Benny. Look around, | 我觉得他们才不在乎这个呢 本尼 回头看看 |
[07:57] | we’re the only people in this room | 今天在座的这些人里 |
[07:59] | who didn’t see this coming. | 只有咱俩是被蒙在鼓里的 |
[08:05] | Mr. Colón, how do you plead? | 科隆先生 你将做何审辩 |
[08:07] | Not guilty. | 无罪 |
[08:09] | Absolutely not guilty. | 绝对无罪 |
[08:43] | I don’t understand. | 我被搞糊涂了 |
[08:44] | 你说结果就是个小处罚 | |
[08:46] | Benny could get ten years. | 本尼现在可是会被判十年啊 |
[08:48] | Why doesn’t he just take a plea? | 他为什么不提起诉讼呢 |
[08:50] | Cause they didn’t offer him a plea. | 因为他们没给他机会 |
[08:53] | They want him to go to prison. | 他们想送他进监狱 |
[08:54] | But why? Why Benny? | 为什么 为什么是本尼 |
[08:56] | I’m guessing this new DNA test has the D.A.’s office spooked. | 我猜可能是这个新的DNA检测把地检吓着了 |
[08:59] | They secured a lot of convictions | 他们用当年的原始检测 |
[09:00] | with the original test. | 给很多人定了罪 |
[09:02] | And nobody is excited about having | 没人愿意看到 |
[09:04] | their old cases getting a second look, | 所有的案子都要重审 |
[09:06] | so they’re changing the conversation. | 所以他们就把罪名改了 |
[09:09] | This isn’t about DNA. | 改成与DNA无关 |
[09:13] | It’s about planting evidence, about Benny planting evidence, | 而是本尼用假证据陷害他人 |
[09:15] | which he swears he didn’t do. | 但是本尼发誓他没有 |
[09:19] | Can I do anything? | 我能做什么 |
[09:22] | Can I get you anything? | 我能帮你找什么 |
[09:26] | You’re like an encyclopedia of lawyers. | 你就是律师中的百科全书 |
[09:31] | I need you to do some research for me tonight. | 我要你今天晚上帮我做一番查访 |
[09:33] | I need the best there is when it comes to cases | 碰上这种牵扯到司法部 联邦局的案子 |
[09:36] | involving the Department of Justice, the FBI. | 我要找最厉害的王牌 |
[09:38] | Somebody who’s got those guys | 一个能克得住他们的人 |
[09:39] | completely wired, and I want to get in | 明天早上我要做的第一件事 |
[09:41] | and see him first thing in the morning. | 就是跟他联系上并且会面 |
[09:44] | Can you do that for me? | 这个你能帮我做吧 |
[09:47] | Do that for Benny? | 帮本尼做 |
[09:48] | Sure, of course. | 当然没问题 |
[09:50] | I’ll head home right now and get on it. | 我这就回家然后着手进行 |
[09:54] | Make that your last drink. | 这杯完了就别再喝了 |
[10:07] | Hello. | 喂 |
[10:08] | Bull, it’s Marissa. | 布尔 是玛丽莎 |
[10:10] | Everyone I’ve spoken to says the person Benny needs | 我到处问过了 人人都说本尼需要的人是 |
[10:12] | is J.P. Nunnelly. | J.P.娜奈莉 |
[10:14] | Nunnelly. | 娜奈莉 |
[10:16] | I’ve never heard of him. | 从没听说过 |
[10:18] | Can you get me in to see him? | 你能帮我跟他安排一次会面吗 |
[10:19] | Well, that’s the thing, I took a shot, | 我要说的就是这事 我试过了 |
[10:21] | called the office, thinking they might have an emergency line, | 打到他办公室 心想也许会有什么紧急线路 |
[10:23] | and to my amazement, an assistant answered. | 但出我意料的是 电话是助理接的 |
[10:25] | She put me on hold for a minute and a half | 她叫我等了大概一分半钟 |
[10:27] | and then asked if you were available for a meeting now. | 然后问你有没有空见面 就现在 |
[10:31] | Now? It’s 3:50 in the morning. | 现在 现在可是凌晨三点五十 |
[10:34] | Actually, the time they suggested was 4:30. | 其实他们定的时间是四点半 |
[10:37] | In the morning. | 凌晨吗 |
[10:38] | In the morning, 40 minutes from now. | 就是凌晨 四十分钟以后 |
[10:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[10:45] | Where’s his office? | 他办公室在哪 |
[10:47] | Well, actually, they want to do the meeting in a restaurant. | 其实 他们想把会面安排在餐厅 |
[10:50] | On Third Avenue. I’ll text you the address. | 在第三大道上 地址我发短信给你 |
[10:53] | In a restaurant at 4:30 in the morning. | 凌晨四点半在餐厅见面 |
[10:56] | I’m just the messenger, Bull. | 我只负责传话 布尔 |
[11:11] | Hello? | 你好 |
[11:15] | Anybody here? | 有人吗 |
[11:17] | Hello? | 有吗 |
[11:37] | Dear Marissa, I hate you. | 亲爱滴玛丽莎 我恨你 |
[11:41] | The dream I was dreaming before you called and woke me up | 我好好地在梦里放荡不羁 快意人生 |
[11:46] | involved all kinds of ridiculous and illegal activ… | 结果被你给生生地吵醒了 |
[11:51] | Oh, thank God, somebody’s here. | 老天 总算来了个人 |
[11:55] | Wow, look at you. | 瞧瞧 |
[11:56] | How’d you luck out and get this shift? | 怎么就这么点儿背摊上个凌晨班 |
[11:58] | I hope they pool the tips around here. | 但愿小费能多点 |
[12:00] | Could I get a cappuccino? | 能给我点杯卡布其诺吗 |
[12:02] | Mr. Bull, my name’s J.P. Nunnelly. | 布尔先生 我就是J.P.娜奈莉 |
[12:08] | Oh, wow, sorry. | 失敬 |
[12:10] | I… what are the chances | 刚才 真是不好意思 |
[12:13] | of you forgetting the last two minutes of your life? | 有没有可能您就把刚才两分钟忘了 |
[12:15] | Would you like to talk about Benjamin Colón? | 谈谈本杰明·科隆吧 |
[12:18] | You know why I’m here? | 你清楚我来这的目的 |
[12:20] | Well, I never agree to meet someone | 我如果不能全面地掌握对方的问题 |
[12:21] | if I’m not reasonably certain I have the answers | 或者大部分的问题 |
[12:24] | to most of their questions. | 是不会同意与他会面的 |
[12:25] | Well, then answer me this. | 那就先回答我这个问题 |
[12:26] | What are you doing up at 4:30 in the morning? | 你大早上四点半起床来餐厅里干什么 |
[12:28] | I’m not up at 4:30 in the morning, Mr. Bull. | 我不是早上四点半才起来的 布尔先生 |
[12:30] | I’m up at 3:00. | 我三点就起了 |
[12:31] | Most mornings by this time | 一般到这个点儿 |
[12:33] | I’ve already worked out, | 我已经健好身 |
[12:34] | checked my e-mails and called Europe. | 检查完邮件打完欧洲的越洋电话了 |
[12:36] | That’s very impressive. | 真是厉害 |
[12:37] | It is what it is. | 我是实话实说 |
[12:38] | So, what are we doing in this restaurant all by ourselves | 那我们两个在这么早 |
[12:42] | at this ungodly hour? | 独占这餐厅干什么 |
[12:43] | I own it… | 我是这的老板 |
[12:45] | a piece of it, anyway. | 老板之一 |
[12:47] | I wanted to meet you, | 我想见你 |
[12:48] | and this was the only time I had available. | 而这个时间是我唯一有空的时候 |
[12:50] | I’ve got three floors over on Fifth, | 其实我在第五大道上租了三层楼 |
[12:52] | but I find office buildings are truly spooky | 不过这个时间办公室有点阴森 |
[12:55] | at this hour of the morning, so I hope this is okay. | 所以我就把地点选在这了 |
[12:58] | Now, about Mr. Colón. | 好了 说说科隆先生吧 |
[13:01] | Would you like me to fix it? | 你需要我解决问题吗 |
[13:04] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[13:05] | I don’t know what you know about me, | 我不知道你对我有什么了解 |
[13:06] | but I’m a fixer, Mr. Bull. | 但我的工作就是解决麻烦 布尔先生 |
[13:10] | Sometimes I make things happen, | 我能够平地起浪 |
[13:12] | sometimes I make things go away. | 也能够大事化了 |
[13:15] | It’s how I got to be managing partner of my own law firm | 所以我才能管好我法律公司 |
[13:18] | with offices in three states. | 在三个州分部的合伙人 |
[13:20] | People have a problem, I fix it. | 人们碰到麻烦 我就负责解决麻烦 |
[13:23] | Mr. Colón clearly has a problem. | 科隆先生显然有麻烦 |
[13:27] | Want me to take care of it? | 需要我来处理吗 |
[13:30] | Please. | 乐意至极 |
[13:31] | Excellent. Stay by your phone. | 很好 到时电话联系 |
[13:34] | Wait a second. | 稍等一下 |
[13:35] | So, how does this work? | 这是怎么个流程 |
[13:37] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[13:40] | Money? | 你想给钱吗 |
[13:42] | No, I’m not interested in your money, Mr. Bull. | 不用 我对你的钱不感兴趣 布尔先生 |
[13:45] | I’m interested in your work, in your science, in your company. | 我感兴趣的是你的工作 你的庭审科学 公司 |
[13:51] | I’m offering to do you a professional favor. | 这就算我在专业领域上给你帮的一个忙 |
[13:53] | All I expect is for you, | 我想要的是你 |
[13:54] | or rather your company, to do me one in return. | 或者说是你的公司还我这个人情就可以 |
[13:59] | I will stay by my phone. | 我会等你电话的 |
[14:00] | You do that. | 这就对了 |
[14:07] | Don’t worry, I’ll lock up. | 别担心 门我锁 |
[14:22] | Wow. | 不得了 |
[14:23] | Look at this place. | 瞧瞧这气派 |
[14:24] | I’m clearly in more trouble than I thought. | 显然我的麻烦比我想的严重 |
[14:27] | Thank you, Bull. | 谢谢你 布尔 |
[14:29] | I haven’t done anything yet. | 我什么事都还没干呢 |
[14:32] | Here comes the cavalry. | 骑兵部队到了 |
[14:34] | Mr. Colon. | 科隆先生 |
[14:35] | I’m J.P. Nunnelly. Pleasure to meet you. | 我是J.P.娜奈莉 很高兴见到你 |
[14:37] | Likewise. | 我也是 |
[14:38] | Right this way. | 这边走 |
[14:41] | So, here’s what we’ve got, | 现在情况是这样的 |
[14:43] | and I, for one, am pretty pleased with it. | 我本人还是挺满意的 |
[14:46] | We’ve won you your freedom, Mr. Colon. | 我们争取到了你的自由 科隆先生 |
[14:49] | I’ve managed to convince the U.S. Attorney’s office | 我已设法说服美国司法部 |
[14:52] | to accept a plea deal. | 接受你提起诉讼 |
[14:54] | No prison time. | 不用进监狱了 |
[14:57] | No, wait, wait, wait, | 不 等等 |
[14:59] | yesterday they said that there was no plea deal. | 昨天他们还说没有调解协议 |
[15:04] | That was yesterday. | 那是昨天的事了 |
[15:06] | Yesterday was not in my purview. | 我眼里没有昨天 |
[15:08] | Welcome to today. | 欢迎来到当下 |
[15:09] | Say thank you, Benny. | 该说谢谢了 本尼 |
[15:11] | But…but you said deal. | 但是你说协议 |
[15:14] | That means you have to give something | 就是说你得付出什么 |
[15:16] | in order to get something. | 一物换一物 |
[15:17] | What… what do I have to give? | 我要付出什么代价 |
[15:20] | In return for not spendingten years in prison | 作为前公诉人不用 |
[15:24] | as an ex-prosecutor? | 坐十年牢的代价吗 |
[15:26] | Rubbing elbows and maybe a whole lot more with men | 还是和你参与送其坐牢的人 |
[15:30] | you helped to put away? | 交往的代价吗 |
[15:31] | Let’s reframe the question. | 我们重定义这个问题吧 |
[15:33] | What wouldn’t you give? | 你不用拿付出什么代价 |
[15:35] | J.P., please. | 直说吧 J.P. |
[15:38] | What do they want from Benny? | 他们想要从本尼那得到什么 |
[15:39] | An apology. A public apology. | 道歉 公开道歉 |
[15:43] | – For what? – For planting evidence. | – 道什么歉 – 伪造证据 |
[15:45] | But I didn’t plant any evidence. | 但我没有伪造任何证据 |
[15:46] | Given your current situation, | 以现在的情况 |
[15:47] | – that’s rather beside the point. – No. | – 那不是重点 – 不 |
[15:50] | It’s the only point. | 那是唯一的重点 |
[15:51] | And I didn’t do it. | 我并没做 |
[15:52] | And Hayden Watkins did. | 海登·瓦特金斯就是凶手 |
[15:54] | And-and can we just talk about that for a minute? | 我们能谈论讨论这个问题吗 |
[15:56] | If I sign a document saying that I planted the contact lens, | 如果我签字承认我伪造了那个隐形眼镜 |
[16:00] | within 48 hours, his attorney is going to file paperwork | 那四十八小时内 他的律师就会提出免罪诉讼 |
[16:03] | for his exoneration because the question would no longer be | 因为问题会不再是为什么 |
[16:07] | why his DNA is not on the contact lens. | 隐形眼镜上没有他的DNA |
[16:09] | The question is going to be where are the keys to his cell | 问题变成了他牢房的钥匙在哪 |
[16:12] | and how fast can we get him out of there? | 我们又能多快的把他弄出去 |
[16:14] | Because maybe, just maybe… | 因为可能 仅是可能 |
[16:16] | we can put a ceiling on how many | 我们能给他起诉这城市要 |
[16:18] | millions of dollars he sues the city for. | 赔偿的钱设个上线 |
[16:20] | And lest we forget that…that this newly-minted millionaire | 以免我们忘了这个新崛起的百万富翁 |
[16:24] | is a murderer… | 是个曾绑架 |
[16:27] | who kidnapped, strangled and buried three girls. | 掐死埋葬了三个女孩的杀人犯 |
[16:29] | Are you telling me that my friends | 你是在跟我说执法局的朋友宁愿看到 |
[16:31] | at the Justice Department would much rather see that | 那种情况 |
[16:33] | than try to get to the bottom of this? | 也不愿意查清真相吗 |
[16:35] | Yes, that’s exactly what I’m telling you. | 没错 那正是我的意思 |
[16:38] | They want this to go away. | 他们想要把这件事小事化了 |
[16:40] | And as for Hayden Watkins, any filing for exoneration | 至于海登·瓦特金斯 任何免罪诉讼文件都得花几年 |
[16:43] | would take years to make its way through the courts. | 通过法院的审批 |
[16:45] | Right, right, right. | 对对 |
[16:46] | With my name next to his, uh, | 我名字就业在每篇报告 |
[16:48] | in…in…in…in every article, | 每个网络故谣言 |
[16:50] | every…every…every Internet story… | 都跟他的名字紧挨着 |
[16:52] | Which still beats ten years in prison. | 但这也强过十年的牢狱之灾 |
[16:55] | Not to me! Not to me! | 对我来说完全不是 完全不是 |
[17:02] | I want to go to court. | 我要去法院 |
[17:03] | I want to go to trial. | 我要上法庭 |
[17:11] | Talk to your friend. | 劝劝你朋友 |
[17:12] | Don’t have to. We want to go to trial. | 不用了 我们要上法庭 |
[17:23] | It’s me, don’t shoot. | 是我 别开枪 |
[17:26] | I just want to say no harm, no foul. | 我只想说没有伤害就不算犯规 |
[17:29] | Uh, I appreciate all the work you did. | 我很感激你做的工作 |
[17:33] | And, uh, Benny does, too. | 本尼也是 |
[17:35] | He… in his own way. | 他有他的方式 |
[17:39] | I still owe you one. | 我还欠你个人情 |
[17:41] | I’m looking forward to you taking me up on it. | 我希望你能接受我的说法 |
[17:43] | Wait a second. | 等一下 |
[17:45] | Am I being released? | 我被解雇了吗 |
[17:47] | Well, yeah. | 没错 |
[17:49] | I know you’re a fixer. | 我知道你是个调解人 |
[17:51] | That’s your deal. | 那是你的专长 |
[17:52] | You, uh, make the problem go away. | 你能让问题消失 |
[17:53] | I mean, the whole point of you | 我是说 你所有重点就是 |
[17:55] | is so you never have to go to court. | 不上法庭 |
[17:56] | Clearly, we are going to court. | 很显然 我们要上法庭 |
[17:59] | So, uh… | 所以 |
[18:00] | I need a litigator. | 我需要个诉讼律师 |
[18:02] | If you’ve got any names, feel free to toss them in the hat. | 你如果有认识的 不妨推荐一下 |
[18:06] | Wait a second, Mr. Bull. | 等一下 布尔先生 |
[18:08] | You’re not releasing me. | 你不能解雇我 |
[18:11] | I’m releasing you. | 我要解雇你 |
[18:14] | – Really? – Yeah. | – 真的吗 – 没错 |
[18:15] | Really. | 真的 |
[18:17] | I didn’t violate our agreement. | 我没有违反我们的约定 |
[18:19] | You did. | 是你 |
[18:21] | I promised to make your problem go away and I did that. | 我保证过让问题消失 我做到了 |
[18:24] | I played a card that I can never play again | 我跟美国司法部 |
[18:27] | with the U.S. Attorney’s office, | 亮了最后的底牌 |
[18:28] | but you and Atticus Finch decided to go to trial anyway. | 但你跟我们的芬奇大律师无论如何都要上诉 |
[18:32] | Don’t you just hate people with integrity? | 你不是讨厌正直的人吗 |
[18:35] | No, but right now I really hate you. | 并没有 但现在我真讨厌你 |
[18:39] | Did he really think that he would get something for nothing? | 他觉得他真能空手套白狼吗 |
[18:43] | And for your information, | 提醒你一下 |
[18:45] | the only name I’d consider putting in your hat is my own. | 我能推荐给你的名字只有我自己 |
[18:50] | I am a world-class litigator. | 我是个世界级的诉讼律师 |
[18:53] | World-class. | 世界级 |
[18:55] | The court is my church and I am its high priestess. | 法庭是我的教堂 我就是它的至高女祭司 |
[18:59] | Uh-huh. | 呵呵 |
[19:00] | The only way you get to be a great fixer | 成为伟大调解者的唯一途径是因为 |
[19:03] | is because people are afraid of meeting you in court. | 是因为别人害怕在法庭上遇到你 |
[19:05] | So, get it straight, Mr. Bull, | 所以直说吧 布尔先生 |
[19:07] | you’re not releasing me. | 不是你解雇我 |
[19:09] | I’m releasing you. | 是我要解雇你 |
[19:10] | Okay, now, wait a second. | 好吧 等等 |
[19:11] | Maybe nobody needs to release anybody. | 或许谁也不用解雇谁 |
[19:13] | Oh, right. | 对 |
[19:14] | Lucky me. | 我真走运 |
[19:16] | My firm would get the privilege | 我的公司有此殊荣 |
[19:18] | of spending countless hours and precious resources | 耗费无数时间和宝贵资源 |
[19:21] | defending a man who isn’t even smart enough | 为一个连摆在眼前的 |
[19:23] | to know a good deal when it’s presented to him? | 好买卖都看不到的人辩护 |
[19:25] | That man has character. | 这个人有自己的原则 |
[19:27] | And he deserves a world-class litigator. | 他值得一个世界级的诉讼律师 |
[19:29] | Just to be clear, I’llbe paying his legal fees. | 挑明了说 我会支付他的法务费用 |
[19:32] | It’ll be worth it | 花钱看你工作 |
[19:33] | just to watch you work. | 这钱花的值 |
[19:36] | I took this case as a favor to you. | 我接这案子是为了帮你 |
[19:40] | – So I could watch you work. – Then what are we doing? | – 然后我能看你工作 – 那我们在干吗 |
[19:43] | Let’s go to court. One big happy family. | 我们一起去法庭吧 和谐大家庭 |
[19:47] | Three cases. | 三个案子 |
[19:50] | I do this one case for you, | 我为你做这个案子 |
[19:52] | you do three cases for me. | 你为我做三个案子 |
[19:55] | Hmm. Three? | 三个 |
[19:57] | Three. | 三个 |
[19:59] | You can count to three, can’t you? | 你能数到三的 不是吗 |
[20:01] | Give me a second. | 我想想 |
[20:06] | Three. | 三个 |
[20:07] | If you win. | 如果你能赢 |
[20:08] | You mean when I win. | 你是说我赢得时候 |
[20:10] | Is that what I meant? | 我是那么说的吗 |
[20:12] | See you in court, Mr. Bull. | 法庭见 布尔先生 |
[20:32] | I really got to change that alarm one of these days. | 这两天我真得换个闹铃 |
[20:37] | Well, hey. | 嘿 |
[20:38] | Look at you. | 看看你 |
[20:40] | 4:30 in the morning, | 凌晨四点半 |
[20:41] | and you’re bright-eyed and bushy-tailed. | 你衣着光鲜 红光满面 |
[20:43] | Please. I’ve been up since midnight. | 别闹了 我从半夜熬到现在 |
[20:45] | Called Africa. Invented a flying car. | 打电话到非洲 发明了飞行汽车 |
[20:47] | Figured out the whole Arab-Israeli thing. | 还搞懂了所有阿拉伯对以色列的事情 |
[20:58] | Come. Meet my baby. | 过来 见见我的宝贝 |
[21:05] | Explain this to me. | 跟我解释下 |
[21:08] | Because this, I do not understand. | 因为我搞不懂这情况 |
[21:11] | Well, that’s why I wanted you to see it. | 这就是我想让你看看的原因 |
[21:14] | You’re going to court today. | 你今天要上法庭 |
[21:16] | We’re going to court today, | 我们今天要上法庭 |
[21:17] | and I wanted you to know all the tools | 我想让你了解下 |
[21:19] | you have at your disposal. | 由你支配的所有工具 |
[21:22] | Okay. | 好啊 |
[21:23] | In my experience, you prepare like a madwoman. | 以我的经验 你得像疯子一样做准备 |
[21:26] | You gather your facts. | 搜集事实证据 |
[21:27] | You assemble a narrative to support them. | 然后组织好陈述对其进行支持 |
[21:29] | Pretty straightforward. | 非常直接 |
[21:30] | But that assumes that everyone hears those facts | 但是理想情况是所有人 |
[21:33] | the same way you do and with the same meaning. | 看到的事实都能和你我看到的一样 |
[21:35] | And that they draw the same conclusion that you do, | 然后得出和你我一样的结论 |
[21:38] | but experience suggests that’s not always the case. | 但是经验告诉我们现实很骨感 |
[21:42] | Say we have a jury. | 比如我们有一个现在有一个陪审团 |
[21:45] | And on this jury there are all different | 陪审团里的人 |
[21:46] | kinds of people, right? | 形形色色 对吧 |
[21:47] | Cross section of the community. | 各行各业 |
[21:48] | You got this guy here, the shoe salesman. | 这个人是卖鞋的 |
[21:51] | You got a guy who owns a used car dealership. | 这个人是汽车经销商 |
[21:53] | And this lady hasn’t worked in five months, | 这位女士已经失业五个月了 |
[21:55] | et cetera, et cetera. | 等等 等等 |
[21:56] | We find out everything we can about them. | 我们找出有关他们的一切信息 |
[22:00] | Their opinions, their prejudices, | 他们的想法 偏见 |
[22:01] | their religion, their political affiliations, | 信仰 政治立场 |
[22:04] | their age, their playlist, their favorite flavor of ice cream. | 年龄 播放清单 最喜欢的冰激凌口味 |
[22:09] | Episcopalian, | 主教派 |
[22:11] | Independent, none of your damn business, | 独立 都不是你们的是 |
[22:14] | I’ll send it to you, and fudge ripple. | 发送 然后引起波澜 |
[22:17] | I didn’t see that coming. | 这我倒是没想到 |
[22:19] | Then what we do, we find the closest approximate match | 我们随后将会找出和每位陪审员 |
[22:22] | to each juror, | 最相近的一个 |
[22:24] | and we bring them all into the courtroom. | 然后把他们都带上法庭 |
[22:27] | We clock their attitudes and feelings. | 记录他们的情绪与态度 |
[22:29] | We basically give you | 我们基本上会给出一个预测 |
[22:32] | an approximate indication in real time of whether or not | 检测是否你所有的辛勤工作 |
[22:34] | all your hard work, all those facts you’ve gathered | 以及你所收集的证据 |
[22:37] | to support that narrative that you’ve created | 能否对你的陈述做出支持 |
[22:40] | is being heard the way you intended. | 达到你的预期 |
[22:45] | I’m not sure I buy it. | 我可不信 |
[22:47] | I’m not sure it’s possible to predict behavior this way. | 我不确定是否能用这种方式进行预测 |
[22:53] | Well, it’s a science. | 这是科学 |
[22:56] | It’s pretty dependable. | 很可靠 |
[23:03] | Come here. | 来 |
[23:05] | I’ll give you a demonstration. | 我展示给你看 |
[23:14] | Relax. | 放松 |
[23:18] | If I was gonna do this… | 如果我这么做 |
[23:21] | I’m pretty sure you’d do that. | 我很肯定你会这样 |
[23:22] | You can be certain. | 这是当然 |
[23:24] | And if I were to do this… | 如果我这样做 |
[23:31] | I’m pretty certain you would do that. | 我也知道你就会这样 |
[23:35] | Not sure that’s science. | 这可不是科学吧 |
[23:37] | And if I were to do this… | 如果我这么做 |
[23:43] | I’ll kick you so hard in the balls | 那我就会踢到你蛋碎 |
[23:45] | your dead grandfather will scream. | 疼到你死去的祖父都要尖叫 |
[23:50] | See, I knew you were gonna say that. | 我就知道你要说这个 |
[23:54] | And all of this touching and flirting | 你在这搂搂抱抱还调情 |
[23:57] | is supposed to help me in the courtroom how? | 这对我明天上法庭有什么帮助吗 |
[24:01] | Well, it’s kind of hard to explain in the abstract. | 这抽象说解释不清楚 |
[24:08] | We’re not losing our way here, are we? | 我们没头晕吧 |
[24:12] | Well, how do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[24:16] | All I’m looking for out of this… partnership | 我对这份合伙关系的期望 |
[24:20] | is to win your friend’s freedom. | 就是为你朋友争取到自由 |
[24:23] | And perhaps learn a little bit about trial science | 再学习一点庭审科学的东西 |
[24:26] | or whatever it is you call it. | 不管你怎么叫吧 |
[24:28] | Assuming it is a science. | 我想着这是一种科学 |
[24:30] | Assuming there’s something to learn. | 想着能学习到什么 |
[24:32] | It is, and there’s a lot to learn, | 没错啊 能学的很多 |
[24:34] | and… me, too. | 而且 我也是 |
[24:38] | The Benny’s freedom part, I mean. | 希望本尼能重获自由 |
[24:45] | I apologize if I’m acting | 抱歉我刚刚有些 |
[24:47] | a little… goofy, flirty. | 犯傻 还有些轻浮 |
[24:51] | Distracted. | 分心了 |
[24:54] | I think the psychologist in me | 我想我内心的心理医生 |
[24:55] | would probably speculate that I’m trying to avoid… | 可能会认为我在试图逃避 |
[25:01] | …thinking about the situation | 不愿意想 |
[25:03] | that Benny finds himself in. | 本尼现在的困境 |
[25:07] | He’s my friend and I’m frightened for him. | 他是我的朋友 我很担心他 |
[25:15] | Tell me I shouldn’t be. | 告诉我我不应该 |
[25:19] | I can’t do that. | 我不能 |
[25:21] | I don’t do what you do. | 我和你不同 |
[25:23] | I don’t speculate about human behavior | 我不推测人的行为 |
[25:25] | or anything else. | 或者任何的其他 |
[25:28] | I just show up prepared. | 我从来都是有备而来 |
[25:31] | And it’s mostly worked for me. | 一般都很有效 |
[25:41] | Come on, Dr. Bull. | 走吧布尔博士 |
[25:43] | Let’s go plead our case. | 继续工作吧 |
[25:50] | Mr. Colón. | 科隆先生 |
[25:51] | If you had to put a number on it, how many times | 如果要算的话 |
[25:53] | would you say you visited Hayden Watkins’ apartment? | 你去过多少次海登·瓦特金斯的公寓了 |
[25:56] | Actually, I checked my notes and calendar this morning, | 我今早刚好看了我的记录 |
[25:58] | and I believe it was six times. | 我想一共是六次 |
[26:00] | Six times? | 六次 |
[26:02] | So you examined this man’s apartment | 所以你之前还有五次 |
[26:04] | on five other occasions, | 去了这个男人的公寓 |
[26:06] | and over a period of… | 这期间持续 |
[26:07] | What would you say? | 你是怎么说的 |
[26:09] | Two, two and a half months or so. | 两个半月左右 |
[26:12] | Two, two and a half months or so. | 两个半月左右 |
[26:13] | And you never saw this contact lens? | 你就从来没见过那个隐形眼镜吗 |
[26:16] | I did not. | 没有 |
[26:17] | And you weren’t the only person examining this apartment, | 而且你也不是唯一检查过公寓的人 |
[26:19] | is that correct? | 没错吧 |
[26:20] | No. It was forensics, | 不是 还有法医 |
[26:21] | local police, FBI. | 当地警察 FBI |
[26:23] | I don’t know. A lot of people. | 我不清楚 很多人 |
[26:25] | And if you had to put a number on that, | 如果要算一算的话 |
[26:26] | a number on the people, I mean. | 我是说算一算去过的人 |
[26:27] | Objection. The prosecution is asking my client to speculate. | 反对 原告这是在要求我方进行推测 |
[26:30] | I think the jury’s capable of understanding the context | 我想陪审团能够理解 |
[26:32] | in which the question is being asked. | 这个问题是在什么情况下提出的 |
[26:34] | The prosecutor is attempting to make a point, | 检方律师是想陈述事实 |
[26:36] | and I’d like to see him make it. Objection overruled. | 我很想看他怎么证明 反对无效 |
[26:39] | Score one for the other team. | 对方得一份 |
[26:40] | Mr. Colón, | 科隆先生 |
[26:41] | an estimate. No one’s gonna file additional charges | 估计一下 如果具体数字不能确定 |
[26:43] | if the number isn’t perfectly accurate. | 那没人会提出额外控诉 |
[26:48] | I don’t know. 60, 65 people maybe. | 我也不知道 60到65个人吧 |
[26:52] | Okay. 60, 65 people. | 好的 60到65个人 |
[26:53] | And of course, they weren’t all | 当然了 他们也不是 |
[26:55] | in the apartment at the same time. | 同时全部出现在公寓的 |
[26:56] | So, again, | 所以 那么再要求一遍 |
[26:58] | with your attorney’s permission, of course, | 当然了要在你律师的允许下 |
[27:00] | could you estimate | 你能估计一下 |
[27:01] | how many individual visits by various law enforcement branches | 不同的执法部门 |
[27:05] | were conducted on Hayden Watkins’ apartment | 为了收集证据 |
[27:07] | for the sole purpose of collecting evidence? | 对公寓进行了多少次检查吗 |
[27:10] | No. | 不知道 |
[27:13] | I would like to enter into evidence | 我想展示一下物证 |
[27:15] | this log… | 这本记录 |
[27:18] | which indicates 27 separate visits were made | 上面标明在科隆先生 |
[27:21] | to Mr. Watkins’ apartment prior to Mr. Colón discovering | 发现隐形眼镜之前 |
[27:24] | that contact lens. | 瓦特金斯的公寓受到27次检查 |
[27:27] | 27 visits. | 27次 |
[27:29] | 60 different people, all of them trained to look for evidence. | 一共60个人 所有人都是来找证据的 |
[27:33] | And no one found it. | 结果没有一个人发现 |
[27:35] | No one but you. | 偏偏只有你 |
[27:37] | Is there a name for that, Mr. Colón? | 这种情况要怎么描述呢 科隆先生 |
[27:39] | I don’t know what you’re asking me, Mr. Janson. | 我不明白你在问什么 詹森先生 |
[27:41] | I’m asking what your reaction is | 我是在问你听到这些数字时 |
[27:42] | when you hear those kinds of numbers. | 作何感想 |
[27:44] | I mean, you’re a law enforcement professional. | 你也是一位专业的执法人员 |
[27:46] | Surely you had a reaction at the time. | 你肯定当时会有所感想 |
[27:47] | Objection. Counselor’s badgering the witness, Your Honor. | 反对 原告律师在骚扰证人 法官阁下 |
[27:50] | – Objection overruled. – What do you call that? | – 反对无效 – 这种情况是怎么说的 |
[27:52] | You know, your case is falling apart. | 你的案子已经要败了 |
[27:54] | There’s no physical evidence to make it stick. | 根本没有确实物证站住脚 |
[27:56] | And then… | 可是之后 |
[27:57] | suddenly there is, and wh… | 就这么突然的 |
[27:58] | what do you call that? | 这种情况叫做什么 |
[28:00] | I know what I would call that. | 我知道叫做什么 |
[28:02] | I would call that a miracle. | 这叫做奇迹 |
[28:08] | You believe in miracles, Mr. Colón? | 你相信奇迹吗 科隆先生 |
[28:14] | They just scored the extra point. | 又得一分 |
[28:16] | Your witness. | 换你了 |
[28:18] | Let’s take an hour recess for lunch. | 接下来是一小时午餐时间 |
[28:21] | Uh, just so you know, in terms of the jury… | 跟你说一下 陪审团的事 |
[28:24] | Please. | 行了吧 |
[28:25] | A blind man could read that jury. | 瞎子都能读懂陪审团了 |
[28:39] | Why didn’t you just take the deal, Benny? | 你怎么不接受协议呢 本尼 |
[28:42] | You don’t even need your license. | 你根本不需要你的执照 |
[28:44] | Everybody knows you practice pretend law for Dr. Bull. | 谁都知道你是给布尔博士随便干干的 |
[28:52] | That’s what this is about to you, huh, Will? | 你就是这样想的吗 威尔 |
[28:55] | How I make my living? | 觉得我就是这么过活的吗 |
[28:57] | I’m just saying, this trial could go sideways. | 我只是说 这次庭审完全不必要 |
[29:02] | I don’t want to see anything bad happen to you. | 我也不希望你出事 |
[29:04] | No one does. | 没人希望 |
[29:05] | That was never the plan. | 这不是我们的本意 |
[29:08] | Why not just say you regret what you did | 你不如就说后悔自己的所作所为 |
[29:11] | and let’s be done with it? | 然后这件事就完了 |
[29:17] | Sorry, Will. | 抱歉了 威尔 |
[29:19] | I just don’t know how to do that. | 我不会 |
[29:25] | I feel bad for you, Benny. | 我为你感到遗憾 本尼 |
[29:28] | I feel bad for me, too, Will. | 我也为我自己感到遗憾 威尔 |
[29:44] | Tell us about the day you found the contact lens. | 说说你找到隐形眼镜的那天 |
[29:46] | What about it? | 那天怎么了 |
[29:47] | What was the state of the case? | 当时的案子进展到什么程度 |
[29:49] | – Were you high on it? – High? | – 案子进行顺利吗 – 顺利吗 |
[29:55] | We had a ton of circumstantial evidence. | 我们当时已经掌握了非常多的简介证据 |
[29:58] | People had seen Hayden at the clubs. | 很多人也都在夜店看见过海登 |
[30:00] | They had seen him interacting with the women. | 看见他和很多女性有互动 |
[30:03] | We’d interviewed him a number of times | 我们也问过他了很多次 |
[30:05] | and knew that he was psychologically capable | 知道他在也在心理上 |
[30:07] | of committing the crimes. | 有能力进行犯罪 |
[30:08] | His MySpace page practically read as a textbook example | 他的个人主页基本上就是 |
[30:12] | of a sociopath’s manifesto. | 一个神经病的教科书模板 |
[30:14] | But… none of that proved he did it. | 但是 这一切都证明不了是他干的 |
[30:18] | You must have felt an enormous | 那你一定感到了 |
[30:20] | amount of pressure. | 巨大的压力 |
[30:21] | The case was on the front page | 这件案子登上了报纸头条 |
[30:22] | of the paper at least once or twice a week. | 整整持续了一两周 |
[30:26] | People just wanted him locked up, put away. | 民众都希望能把他绳之以法 |
[30:28] | They were afraid, afraid to let | 他们都很害怕 |
[30:30] | their daughters go out, | 害怕自己的女儿外出 |
[30:32] | their sisters, their girlfriends. | 还有姐妹 女朋友 |
[30:34] | And what about Mr. Janson? | 那詹森先生呢 |
[30:36] | Was he feeling the pressure? | 他有感到这种压力吗 |
[30:37] | I’m not sure the jury is aware; he was your boss | 我不知道陪审团是否清楚 他以前 |
[30:40] | at the district attorney’s office at the time, wasn’t he? | 在地方检察院是你的上司 对吧 |
[30:42] | We all wanted the same thing. | 我们都想看到同样的结果 |
[30:45] | Well, you must have been very frustrated. | 那你一定很焦虑 |
[30:47] | Well, Mr. Watkins | 瓦特金斯先生 |
[30:49] | was extraordinarily meticulous | 对于杀人这方面 |
[30:52] | in how he handled the killings. | 处理的非常小心 |
[30:53] | There simply was no physical evidence | 也没有物证 |
[30:55] | to tie him to the crimes. | 能将他定罪 |
[30:57] | Did you ever have a moment of doubt? | 你有没有曾经有过疑虑 |
[31:00] | Did you ever think, “Maybe | 你是否曾经想过 |
[31:03] | we have the wrong guy”? | “也许我们抓错了人” |
[31:05] | No. | 没有 |
[31:07] | And why was that? | 为什么呢 |
[31:19] | Hey, it’s okay, Mr. Colón. | 没关系的 科隆先生 |
[31:21] | You’re here to defend yourself. | 你是来这为自己辩护的 |
[31:24] | Let me help you. | 然我来帮你 |
[31:26] | What happened two weeks before you found the lens? | 在你找到隐形眼镜两周前发生了什么 |
[31:30] | There was a break in the case, wasn’t there? | 案子出现了突破口 对吗 |
[31:34] | He confessed. | 他认罪了 |
[31:38] | Finally. That woke them up. | 终于啊 这大新闻把他们叫醒了 |
[31:40] | We’ve got a tiny bit of movement. | 有变化了 |
[31:42] | He told us where the bodies were, how he did it. | 他告诉了我们埋尸地点 以及作案手法 |
[31:44] | And none of that is in the court record. | 但是这些都不在法庭记录内 |
[31:46] | No. | 没错 |
[31:47] | Can you tell us why? | 你能告诉我们是为什么吗 |
[31:48] | Because a day later he recanted. | 因为一天以后他就翻供了 |
[31:50] | Claimed that the young detective | 声称那位年轻的探员 |
[31:52] | who had obtained his confession had coerced him. | 对他进行了逼供 |
[31:56] | Denied him of food and drink, put his hands on him. | 不给他吃喝 拳脚相向 |
[31:58] | Wasn’t the confession videotaped? | 他的招供没有被录像吗 |
[32:00] | It was. | 录了 |
[32:01] | And what did it show? | 内容都是什么 |
[32:02] | Everything that the suspect claimed. | 和嫌犯说的一样 |
[32:03] | Of course, the judge agreed with him. | 当然了 法官也同意他的说法 |
[32:05] | Felt that the confession was coerced, | 认为他的认罪是被逼供得来的 |
[32:07] | therefore it was expunged from the record. | 因此就没有进行记录 |
[32:10] | What did you think? | 你是怎么想的 |
[32:13] | Well, we all thought the same thing. | 我们想的都是一件事 |
[32:16] | The suspect had coerced the detective into coercing him. | 嫌犯逼迫那位探员对其进行逼供 |
[32:22] | He goaded the kid. | 他故意刺激那位年轻探员 |
[32:24] | He wanted it. | 他就是想要这种结果 |
[32:26] | Wanted us to know where the girls were. | 想让我们知道哪些姑娘都埋在哪里 |
[32:28] | Wanted to play with us. | 想玩弄我们 |
[32:29] | – What made you think that? – Because when we went | – 你为什么会这么想 – 因为当我们 |
[32:31] | to where he said the bodies were buried… | 找到他说的埋尸地点时 |
[32:36] | there was nothing there that we could really use. | 已经没有什么有用的证据了 |
[32:37] | They were in such an advanced state of decay… | 严重腐烂 |
[32:40] | That you were back to where you started. | 所以你们的工作又回到了原点 |
[32:41] | Worse. It was worse. | 更糟 简直更糟 |
[32:44] | When we started, | 我们开始的时候 |
[32:45] | we thought we could make a case, but | 我们还以为可以立案 |
[32:46] | now it was… | 但是现在… |
[32:48] | It’s impossible. | 根本不可能 |
[32:49] | So you went back to the apartment | 所以你又最后 |
[32:51] | one last time. | 回了公寓一次 |
[32:53] | Did anyone go with you? | 有人和你一起吗 |
[32:55] | No. | 没有 |
[32:56] | I, uh, specifically wanted to go alone. | 我想自己去 |
[32:59] | Why? | 为什么 |
[33:01] | I… thought that maybe… | 我 以为也许 |
[33:05] | I don’t know, | 我也不知道 |
[33:07] | I would feel something. | 我就是有种直觉 |
[33:09] | A direction to go in. | 有个方向 |
[33:13] | You’re Catholic, aren’t you, Mr. Colón? | 你是基督徒对吗 科隆先生 |
[33:19] | I am. | 我是 |
[33:20] | When you went | 你回到公寓的时候 |
[33:21] | back to the apartment, did you pray? | 你祷告了吗 |
[33:24] | I would like to know, Your Honor, | 我想知道 法官阁下 |
[33:26] | where the defense is getting her information. | 辩方律师是从哪里得到这个信息的 |
[33:27] | She’s humanizing him. | 她这是让他变得有人情味呢 |
[33:29] | Or trying. | 或者就是挣扎 |
[33:30] | …that was suppressed and stricken from the record. | 这是记录中不会显示的信息 |
[33:32] | Your Honor, isn’t the real question | 法官阁下 真正的问题 |
[33:34] | not where I got my information but whether it’s true? | 是我说是否属实而不是来源对吗 |
[33:37] | Mr. Janson was there. | 詹森当时也在 |
[33:38] | None of this is news to him. | 这对他来说都不是什么新闻 |
[33:41] | You may proceed, Counselor. | 继续 辩方律师 |
[33:48] | Did you pray, Mr. Colón? | 你祷告了吗 科隆先生 |
[33:51] | Started to. | 正准备 |
[33:54] | I got on my knees, but | 我已经跪下了 但是 |
[33:56] | before I could start, I saw | 在我开始前 |
[33:58] | a glint under the sofa. | 我看见沙发上有东西在闪 |
[34:00] | Stopped what I was doing | 然后我停下动作 |
[34:01] | and put on my gloves and reached underneath | 戴上了手套伸了进去 |
[34:03] | Did you think it was a miracle, Mr. Colón? | 你认为这是奇迹吗 科隆先生 |
[34:06] | I didn’t know what to think. I… | 我不知道该作何感想 我… |
[34:10] | I didn’t know if it belonged to the girls, to him. I… | 我不知道这是姑娘们的还是他的 我… |
[34:12] | It was a hard contact lens, and it was in pretty awful shape. | 那个隐形都硬的不成样子了 |
[34:17] | I thought… let’s give it to the lab. | 我想可以带去实验室 |
[34:20] | We had everything to gain and nothing to lose. | 反正我们已经没有什么可以失去了 |
[34:25] | I have no further questions, Your Honor. | 我没有问题了 法官阁下 |
[34:27] | Let’s pick up from here tomorrow. | 明天审判继续 |
[34:30] | That girl is good. | 这位女士太厉害了 |
[34:39] | – Tell me about our jury. – Pretty amazing. | – 给我讲讲陪审团的情况吧 – 相当惊人 |
[34:41] | You took them on an attitudinal roller coaster ride. | 你让他们的态度一百八十度大转弯啊 |
[34:44] | And that’s a good thing, right? | 这是好事对吧 |
[34:46] | It’s good. | 没错 |
[34:47] | The question is, is it good enough? | 但问题是 这样就够了吗 |
[34:49] | The jury is surprisingly unanimous | 现在陪审团的意见出奇的一致 |
[34:51] | in its attitude towards Benny. | 都偏向了本尼 |
[34:53] | Coming into this thing, | 刚开始的时候 |
[34:55] | they were convinced he was a bad guy | 他们还都确信他是个坏人 |
[34:56] | – and guilty. – And now? | – 并且有罪 – 现在呢 |
[34:58] | They’re not convinced. | 他们不确定了 |
[34:59] | What we really want, what we really need | 我们真正想要达到的 真正需要的 |
[35:02] | is for them to be convinced of his innocence. | 是让他们确信他是无辜的 |
[35:05] | Hard to do without offering up a guilty party in his stead. | 不用另外有罪的一方来代替他的话很难 |
[35:09] | I was sort of hoping you would tell me the defense could rest. | 我还在希望你能告诉我辩方可以休息了呢 |
[35:12] | You could, but we want an acquittal, | 你当然可以 但是我们想听到他的无罪判决 |
[35:14] | not a hung jury. | 不是悬而未决 |
[35:15] | And while there are unanimous good feelings towards Benny, | 虽然陪审团一致对本尼有了好转的态度 |
[35:18] | there’s not unanimity about what he’s been accused of doing | 但对于他的指控罪名还尚未达成一致 |
[35:23] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[35:23] | How is that even possible? | 这怎么可能 |
[35:25] | Well, for instance, these three guys here have come to believe | 比如这里的三个人就认为 |
[35:28] | that Benny is a good man. | 本尼是个好人 |
[35:30] | And because he is a good man, | 正因为他是好人 |
[35:32] | he could have planted that evidence | 所以他才有可能伪造证据 |
[35:33] | to prevent another killing. | 防止其他的谋杀案发生 |
[35:36] | Where’d you get those transcripts? | 你今天说的东西是从哪知道的 |
[35:39] | The documents, all that stuff you used today. | 文件 和你今天用的一切 |
[35:41] | Me praying, Hayden Watkins’ confession, the interviews. | 我的祷告 海登·瓦特金斯的认罪 他的审问 |
[35:46] | That was all under seal. How’d you get that? | 这些都是保密的 你是怎么知道的 |
[35:47] | What does it matter? | 这重要吗 |
[35:49] | And you’re very welcome, Mr. Colón. | 还有 不客气科隆先生 |
[35:51] | I want to know where you got that stuff. | 我要知道你是从哪里知道的 |
[35:53] | I’m your client and I have the right to know. | 我是你的客户 我有权知道 |
[35:55] | No, you’re not my client. | 不 你不是我的客户 |
[35:57] | He’s my client. You’re my defendant. | 他才是 你只是我的被辩护人 |
[36:00] | And I’ll tell you what you need to know | 我会告诉你你需要知道什么 |
[36:02] | and when you need to know it. | 以及什么时候需要 |
[36:03] | What’s with the attitude, Benny? | 你这是什么态度本尼 |
[36:04] | She’s working like hell to save your skin. | 她在这拼尽全力救你 |
[36:06] | What does it matter how she does it? | 她怎么做到的还重要吗 |
[36:08] | ‘Cause I’m starting to question what side she’s on. | 因为我现在要问问她到底是哪一边的了 |
[36:10] | Someone gave her that material. | 有人给了她这些材料 |
[36:12] | And there’s got to be a reason why. | 一定会有原因 |
[36:14] | J.P J.P.? | |
[36:19] | You should feel free to hire new counsel | 如果你对我的做法不满意 |
[36:21] | if you’re dissatisfied with what I’m doing. | 不相信我 |
[36:25] | And if you don’t trust me. | 那就另请高明 |
[36:27] | Hmm. Well… | 好吧 |
[36:30] | we all know what way you’ll vote, Bull. | 我们都知道你会怎么说 布尔 |
[36:35] | We can see it every time you look at her. | 毕竟大家都看到你看她的眼神了 |
[36:39] | Fine. It’s your money. | 好吧 拿人手短 |
[36:40] | See you in court tomorrow. | 明天法庭见 |
[36:45] | Back to work, everybody. | 回去工作吧都 |
[36:49] | Where does that leave us? | 我们现在什么情况 |
[36:50] | Well, clearly, | 显然 |
[36:52] | you have to stop looking at me. | 你以后别再看我了 |
[36:54] | I mean, with the case. | 我是说案子现在什么情况 |
[36:55] | Pretty clear what has to be done. | 很清楚 该做的都做了 |
[36:57] | Just a question of whether I can do it. | 只剩我能不能做的问题了 |
[37:00] | Not for me. | 我不这么想 |
[37:01] | And by the way, I look at every female lawyer | 还有 我对所有自己开公司 |
[37:03] | who owns her own firm and has offices in three states | 还在三个州有分公司的女律师 |
[37:05] | exactly the same way. | 都是这么看的 |
[37:07] | I’ll bet you do. | 那是肯定 |
[37:10] | I’ll bet you do. | 那是肯定 |
[37:13] | Call your next witness, please. | 请传唤下一位证人 |
[37:14] | The defense calls Inspector General Wilson Jessup, | 辩方传唤检查长威尔森·杰西尔 |
[37:16] | Your Honor. | 法官阁下 |
[37:27] | Mr. Jessup, | 杰西尔先生 |
[37:28] | will you tell the jury what it is you do for a living? | 能告诉陪审团你的工作吗 |
[37:31] | I’m the inspector general for the northeast region | 我是美国司法局 |
[37:34] | of the United States Department of Justice. | 东北地区局长 |
[37:36] | Wow, that sounds like a big job. | 听起来责任重大 |
[37:38] | I wake up every day amazed I have it | 每天起床我都很感恩 |
[37:41] | and thankful for the opportunity. | 也感谢能有这个机会 |
[37:44] | But that wasn’t your job during that summer | 但是十年前的夏天 |
[37:47] | almost ten years ago when the city was being terrorized | 当这座城市笼罩在社交名媛杀手阴影下时 |
[37:49] | by the Socialite Slayer. | 你还不是局长 |
[37:51] | No, ma’am, I was a detective | 没错 我当时还是探员 |
[37:53] | for the New York City Police Department. | 在纽约警局工作 |
[37:55] | And what was that like? | 那是什么样的 |
[37:56] | I mean, being in the center of such a notorious case? | 我是说 处于这么棘手案子的中心是什么样 |
[38:00] | It was frustrating. | 很焦虑 |
[38:01] | Uh, there was a lot of pressure, | 压力很大 |
[38:03] | virtually no solid evidence like Benny… | 没有任何实锤证据 就像本尼… |
[38:06] | uh, Mr. Colón… said. | 科隆先生说的一样 |
[38:11] | It must have really killed you. | 这一定快把你逼疯了吧 |
[38:12] | And you were already a highly decorated officer. | 你当时已经是一个功勋卓著的长官了 |
[38:14] | People were whispering in your ear about | 很多人都和你说 |
[38:17] | maybe becoming chief, even running for office. | 也许你能成为局长 甚至走上政坛 |
[38:20] | I didn’t listen to any of that stuff. | 我并没有在意这些传言 |
[38:23] | You really like Benny… | 你真的很喜欢本尼 |
[38:25] | Mr. Colón, don’t you? | 科隆先生 对吧 |
[38:35] | I do, actually, yes. | 没错 确实 |
[38:36] | I’d like to enter into evidence this newly released | 我想呈上一份新的证据 |
[38:39] | analysis from the Rectitude Project. | 是清廉项目组最新发布分析 |
[38:41] | It’s their report on evidence recovered | 这是他们对汀斯利·布朗宁的隐形眼镜 |
[38:44] | from Tinsley Browning’s contact lens. | 进行检测的报告 |
[38:47] | I asked them to do some more work on it. | 我让他们多进行了一步 |
[38:49] | See if they could identify anyone else | 检查是否能看出有人 |
[38:51] | who might have come into contact with that lens. | 曾经接触过隐形眼镜 |
[38:54] | Would you be interested in hazarding a guess | 你有兴趣猜一猜 |
[38:58] | what they found, | 他们都发现了什么吗 |
[38:59] | Mr. Jessup? | 杰西尔先生 |
[39:03] | I was trying to help your client, young lady. | 我是在帮你的客户 女士 |
[39:08] | I was trying to help Benny. | 我是在帮本尼 |
[39:10] | We don’t have to go here. | 我们不用到这种地步 |
[39:13] | I gave you those files. | 我给了你这些文件 |
[39:15] | I put myself at risk. | 将自己置于危险 |
[39:17] | I think you have enough to do what you need to do. | 我想你已经拿到足够你需要的资料了 |
[39:23] | I’m sorry, Mr. Jessup. | 抱歉 杰西尔先生 |
[39:26] | Some people, whose work | 某个我非常 |
[39:28] | I respect a great deal, | 尊敬他工作的人 |
[39:29] | say that I don’t. | 说我没有拿到需要的资料 |
[39:32] | Mr. Jessup, I’m not sure | 杰西尔先生 我不确定 |
[39:33] | you’ve answered counsel’s question. | 你是否回答了辩方律师的问题 |
[39:35] | Counsel? | 辩方律师 |
[39:36] | Would you be surprised to hear | 如果听到你的DNA 指纹出现在隐形眼镜上 |
[39:38] | that your DNA, your fingerprintswere on that lens? | 你会感到吃惊吗 |
[39:45] | Mr. Jessup? | 杰西尔先生 |
[39:57] | That young detective. | 那个年轻的探员 |
[40:01] | He screwed this case. | 他把案子搞砸了 |
[40:06] | He punched him. | 他动手打了他 |
[40:09] | Punched that monster right in the jaw, | 狠狠揍了那个混蛋 |
[40:10] | on video. | 都被录下来了 |
[40:13] | Might as well have hand-delivered him | 还不如再亲手奉上一个受害者 |
[40:16] | another victim to kill. | 给他杀 |
[40:17] | I went out to the landfill. | 我去了垃圾填埋场 |
[40:20] | I-I had no idea what I was thinking. | 我也不知道自己在想什么 |
[40:23] | I was desperate. | 当时我已经绝望了 |
[40:26] | And then… I’m standing there, | 我就站在那里 |
[40:31] | looking down at this naked girl’s decaying skull. | 看着那个腐烂的不成样的女孩尸骨 |
[40:35] | And that’s when I saw it. | 我就是那时候看见隐形眼镜的 |
[40:36] | Uh, what did Benny call it? | 本尼是怎么说的 |
[40:37] | A-A glint? | 一个闪光吗 |
[40:40] | I thought, “This is it. | 我当时想 就是它了 |
[40:41] | “There is a God. | 真是老天开眼 |
[40:43] | We are gonna be able to put this animal away.” | 终于可以把那个混蛋绳之以法了 |
[40:46] | So I put on my glove, and… | 所以我带上了手套 |
[40:53] | But God had other plans. | 但是这就是天意啊 |
[41:00] | I went back to the suspect’s apartment | 我回到了嫌犯的公寓 |
[41:02] | and put it under his couch. | 把眼镜放在了沙发下面 |
[41:03] | Figured I’d come back with a whole team | 想着我们过后整个团队一起回去 |
[41:05] | and we’d all find it together. | 能够一起发现这个证据 |
[41:06] | But then Benny | 但是后来本尼 |
[41:08] | went back out there before me. | 比我先回去了 |
[41:11] | All by himself. | 自己一个人 |
[41:12] | And what did that do to your plans? | 那这对你的计划有什么影响 |
[41:14] | It actually made it better. | 其实有了更大的进展 |
[41:17] | More degrees of separation. | 分析结果更为详细 |
[41:26] | and they said it was a probable match, | 他们说有可能匹配成功了 |
[41:28] | I thought… “I hit the jackpot. | 我当时想 我真的中奖了 |
[41:31] | I won the lottery.” | 走大运了 |
[41:35] | Talk about dodging a bullet. | 真是躲过了一劫 |
[41:39] | Little did I know. | 我真是无知 |
[41:47] | I’m sorry, Benny. | 抱歉 本尼 |
[41:54] | I wish you had taken the deal. | 真希望你能接受协议 |
[42:06] | Let’s recess for ten minutes | 休庭十分钟 |
[42:08] | and then reconvene. | 然后继续开庭 |
[42:24] | They didn’t even put your name in the headline. | 你的名字都没上头条 |
[42:26] | I’d sue. | 我要起诉 |
[42:28] | You’re a great boss. | 你是个好老板 |
[42:30] | I think you’re just saying that’cause I saved your ass | 我想你是因为我给你擦了屁股所以你才这么说 |
[42:32] | and you’re drinking. | 而且你现在还在喝酒 |
[42:36] | I sent, uh, flowers to your lady friend. | 我给你的女性友人送了花 |
[42:39] | You’re way off base on this one. | 你这次可真是大错特错 |
[42:41] | She means nothing to me. | 她对我来说什么都不是 |
[42:43] | Less than nothing. | 不是都算不上 |
[42:44] | – “Nuh.”- Mm. | – 空气 – 哎呦 |
[42:48] | I thanked her, I apologized, | 我谢了她 也道歉了 |
[42:50] | I haven’t heard a word. | 我还没有收到回音 |
[42:52] | Oh, you will. | 你会的 |
[42:54] | She is not out of our lives. | 她又不会消失 |