时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | What kind of pledges are you wimps, huh? Everybody up! | 你们这群窝囊废有啥用 都起来 |
[00:06] | It’s 1:00 a.m., boys. That’s the shank of the evening. Let’s go! | 现在是凌晨一点 才刚过半夜 走 |
[00:10] | Let’s go! Come on, go for a walk. | 快来 去散散步 |
[00:13] | Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! | 喝一个 喝一个 |
[00:15] | All right! | 好的 |
[00:19] | Drink up! Drink up! | 喝一个 喝一个 |
[00:20] | Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! Drink! | 喝一个 喝一个 |
[00:25] | Drink! Drink! Drink! | 喝一个 喝一个 |
[00:33] | That’s number five, baby! | 这是第五瓶 |
[00:35] | All right! | 好 |
[00:37] | Let’s go! | 开始 |
[00:38] | Don’t you fall asleep, you pledge pukes. | 可别睡着了 呕吐精新人 |
[00:41] | The more you cough, the more you’re gonna get. | 咳得多就喝得多 |
[00:43] | Into the water, pukes. | 下水啊 呕吐精 |
[00:45] | – Let’s go! Let’s go. – Come on. Let’s go! | – 开始 – 快开始 |
[00:49] | In the water. Now! | 进水里 快 |
[00:50] | Wayland, what are you doing? | 韦兰德 你在干什么 |
[00:51] | Move it. Let’s go. | 动啊 去吧 |
[00:52] | Let’s go. Let’s go. | 去吧 去吧 |
[01:01] | Hey, you okay? Excellent! | 你还好吗 太棒了 |
[01:03] | What’s all the talking and laughing about, pukes? | 都在笑些什么 呕吐精 |
[01:05] | Are you enjoying this? ‘Cause you’re not supposed to | 很享受吗 因为你们不应该 |
[01:07] | enjoy this. | 享受这个 |
[01:09] | Why don’t you go swim to the other side of the lake, huh? | 不如游到湖那边 |
[01:11] | That’ll take some of the fun out of it for ya. | 这样就没那么好玩了 |
[01:14] | – All right. – Let’s go. | – 好 – 去吧 |
[01:15] | Come on, come on. | 拜托 |
[01:18] | Swim faster! Keep going! | 游快点 别停下 |
[01:22] | All right, boys. | 好 |
[02:04] | If this is you trying to bum another ride home, | 如果你又想蹭车回家的话 |
[02:06] | it has to stop. | 别来了 |
[02:07] | People are starting to talk. | 别人都在议论呢 |
[02:10] | Dr. Bull, I need… | 布尔博士 我需要… |
[02:13] | I need a favor. | 需要你帮个忙 |
[02:14] | Oh. Well, for you, Judge Abernathy, | 你啊 法官阿伯纳西 |
[02:16] | a woman who I greatly admire, and in front of whom | 一个我极其欣赏的女士 在你面前 |
[02:18] | I’m trying a quarter of a billion dollar case… | 我还要出庭代表一单二十五万的案子 |
[02:20] | This will, of course, have no bearing on the matter before me. | 当然 这和案子没有关系 |
[02:25] | Name it. You need a five? | 说吧 你要五份大麻 |
[02:27] | A ten? In unmarked quarters? | 还是要十份 没标记的那种 |
[02:30] | A friend, a colleague in the DA’s office, | 我一个朋友 地检署的同事 |
[02:33] | just caught a difficult and high-profile case. | 接到了一单难审的重大案子 |
[02:37] | I know it’s short notice, | 我知道事发突然 |
[02:38] | but if there’s any help you can give him. | 但如果你能帮些什么就好了 |
[02:40] | Don’t think twice. Consider it done. | 不用想了 我帮 |
[02:58] | – Dr. Bull? – Yes. | – 布尔博士 – 是 |
[03:00] | I’m guessing you’re the ADA | 我猜你是地检助手 |
[03:01] | Judge Abernathy wanted me to meet. | 阿伯纳西法官想让我见你 |
[03:03] | I am. | 是的 |
[03:04] | Richmond. | 我叫里蒙德 |
[03:05] | Richmond Abernathy. | 里蒙德·阿伯纳西 |
[03:08] | So… the son? | 那孩子怎么样 |
[03:10] | Guilty as charged. | 已经被控有罪 |
[03:14] | What can I do for you? | 我能帮些什么吗 |
[03:15] | A Lennox University student | 有个雷诺士大学的学生 |
[03:17] | was found floating in the Hudson this morning. | 今早被发现死在哈德逊河上 |
[03:19] | Name’s Sam Wayland, 18 years old, | 他叫山姆·韦兰德 十八岁 |
[03:22] | pledging a fraternity. | 正许诺加入兄弟会 |
[03:24] | Gather you think there’s a connection. | 盖泽 你是觉得这有什么联系吗 |
[03:25] | How could I not? | 当然有 |
[03:26] | Made any arrests? | 抓人了吗 |
[03:27] | That’s why you’re here. | 叫你过来也是为了这个 |
[03:30] | With all due respect to you and your mother, | 恕我直言 |
[03:33] | this feels a little premature. | 这貌似有点为时过早 |
[03:35] | I’m a trial consultant. | 我可是案情顾问 |
[03:37] | I know. | 我知道 |
[03:39] | But mother claims you’re also an expert in human behavior. | 但妈说你还是人类行为学的专家 |
[03:42] | Said you’re like a human lie detector. | 说你就像一个人体测谎仪 |
[03:45] | I’m not sure I believe there is such a thing, | 我是不太相信的 |
[03:48] | but not like I have much of a choice. | 但我好像也别无选择了 |
[03:50] | We’ve got to figure out who to charge. | 我们要找出要检控的人 |
[03:53] | These are mostly rich white kids | 他们都是些有钱的白人孩子 |
[03:55] | and they’re lawyering up even as we speak. | 在我们讨论的这时 他们都在请律师 |
[03:57] | I know I’m not gonna get any of them near a polygraph. | 我知道我没办法用测谎仪检查他们 |
[04:00] | I think she was hoping I could use you instead. | 我想她是希望我能用用你吧 |
[04:03] | Hazing? No. We don’t participate in hazing. | 整蛊新人 我们不干这种事 |
[04:07] | What this was, | 那天的活动 |
[04:09] | was a “Welcome to Theta” celebration. | 是T社的迎新晚会 |
[04:12] | It’s something we look forward to every year. | 我们每年都盼望着这一天 |
[04:13] | See how his foot’s pointed to the door? | 看到他的脚朝向哪里了吗 |
[04:15] | That’s because he wants to escape | 因为他想出去 |
[04:17] | because he’s uncomfortable | 因为他觉得不自在 |
[04:18] | because… he’s lying. | 因为… 他在说谎 |
[04:21] | Basically, it’s always the same thing. | 其实也就那样 |
[04:23] | We have a few cocktails | 我们喝了几杯鸡尾酒 |
[04:25] | and then the pledges go for a swim in the river. | 然后许诺人去下河游泳 |
[04:27] | It’s… essentially, it’s like a | 就… 本质上就是 |
[04:28] | “Welcome to Kappa Kappa Theta” thing. | KKT社的迎新活动 |
[04:30] | Hear the use of qualifiers? | 听见那些修饰词了吗 |
[04:31] | “Basically, essentially.” | “其实 本质” |
[04:33] | That’s a fairly good indicator someone’s lying. | 这说明他很有可能在说谎 |
[04:36] | I use qualifiers all the time and I don’t lie. | 我也用修饰词 但我不会说谎 |
[04:42] | This is the victim’s roommate. | 这是受害人的室友 |
[04:43] | We all got out of the water, | 我们都出了水 |
[04:46] | walked back up to the frat house. | 走回兄弟会的房子 |
[04:48] | Sam was right next to me. | 山姆就在我旁边 |
[04:50] | I mean, we were all a little loopy, | 我们的样子都有点狼狈 |
[04:51] | but Sam was right there. | 但山姆就在隔壁 |
[04:54] | We got in the room and went to bed. | 我们进房就睡了 |
[04:57] | – Notice all the blinking? – Did you undress? | – 看到他眨眼了吗 – 你没穿衣服吗 |
[04:59] | – Did he undress? – Yeah. | – 他也脱衣服了吗 – 是的 |
[05:01] | I kicked my shoes off and did a face-plant. | 我把鞋一踢就栽倒睡觉了 |
[05:03] | Sam did pretty much the same thing. | 山姆差不多也是这样 |
[05:05] | When did you first realize he wasn’t there? | 你什么时候才发现他不在的 |
[05:08] | When you guys came to the door this morning and woke us up. | 你们今早过来叫醒我们的时候 |
[05:11] | So you’re telling me that Sam | 所以你是说 山姆 |
[05:12] | walked all the way back to the dorm, got in bed, | 一路走回房间 回床休息 |
[05:15] | and then changed his mind, | 然后又改变主意 |
[05:17] | and went back to the river by himself? | 一个人走回河里 |
[05:18] | Why would he do that? | 为什么他要这么做 |
[05:20] | Maybe he forgot his cell phone? | 可能他把电话忘了 |
[05:22] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[05:23] | But that’s your story. | 不过你知道的就这些 |
[05:24] | – Yes, sir. – Yes, sir. | – 是 先生 – 是 先生 |
[05:26] | Absolutely. | 当然 |
[05:27] | – Yep. – Yep. | – 是 – 是 |
[05:28] | That’s what happened. | 就是这样 |
[05:29] | So, according to you, | 所以 你觉得 |
[05:31] | they’re all lying. | 他们都在说谎 |
[05:32] | Hey. I’m not selling anything. | 我可不想卖弄我的观点 |
[05:35] | You asked what I thought. | 是你问我的 |
[05:37] | Take what you need and leave the rest. | 你帮上你的你就用其他就别多事了 |
[05:40] | Anything else? | 还有其他事吗 |
[05:41] | Assistant District Attorney Abernathy. | 地检助手阿伯纳西 |
[05:43] | The victim’s mother’s | 受害人的母亲 |
[05:44] | still waiting in 102. | 还在102房等着 |
[05:45] | She’s having a pretty rough time. | 她情绪不太稳定 |
[05:47] | Can I give her an ETA? | 你大概什么时候过去 |
[05:49] | I honestly don’t have anything to tell her. | 老实说 我并没有什么要跟她谈的 |
[05:52] | Need some company? | 需要陪伴吗 |
[05:55] | You have nothing to tell me? | 你什么都信息都提供不了吗 |
[05:58] | Nothing beyond what the coroner’s determined. | 除了验尸官的报告 没别的了 |
[06:01] | Which is, in and of itself, very preliminary. | 那报告也只是一个初步调查 |
[06:04] | Did he fall in? | 他是掉下去的吗 |
[06:07] | Was he pushed? | 还是被人推下去的 |
[06:08] | Did… did he get a… a cramp, | 还… 还是抽筋 |
[06:12] | or did someone hold him underwater? | 还是有人在水底下拉他 |
[06:15] | What ever happened, | 不管发生了什么 |
[06:17] | was he frightened or just… | 他是觉得很恐慌 还是… |
[06:19] | surprised? | 受到了惊吓 |
[06:20] | I mean, was he alone, | 他是一个人 |
[06:22] | or were there other people? | 还是旁边有其他人 |
[06:24] | Was this deliberate or was it an accident? | 是有人执意下手 还是场意外 |
[06:32] | Oh, for God’s sake, tell me something! | 天啊 告诉我点什么啊 |
[06:38] | I have a working theory. | 我有个初步的推断 |
[06:43] | Sam was taking part in a hazing. | 山姆在参与整蛊活动 |
[06:45] | There was a lot of drinking. | 他们喝了很多酒 |
[06:46] | Things got out of control. | 事情失控了 |
[06:48] | And the boys went swimming. | 孩子们又去游泳 |
[06:51] | And after Sam drowned, for whatever reason, | 山姆溺水之后 不知道因为什么 |
[06:53] | they decided not to call it in. | 他们决定不把真相说出来 |
[06:55] | And for the moment, they have banded together. | 在这时 他们已经组织好了 |
[06:57] | And they’ve all agreed on the same story | 互相串通了口供 |
[07:00] | about Sam going back to his room, | 说的都是山姆回到自己房间 |
[07:02] | and, according to them, | 然后 根据他们所说的 |
[07:04] | returning to the river by himself. | 一个人又回到了河边 |
[07:08] | You’re saying there were other people there. | 你是说有别人在场吗 |
[07:12] | We don’t know that for sure. | 我们不太能确定 |
[07:14] | But if your theory’s right, | 但如果你的推测没错的话 |
[07:16] | why wouldn’t one of those boys go and get help? | 为什么那些孩子们不去找人帮忙 |
[07:19] | Or call 911, or call the police? | 去打电话报警 |
[07:24] | No. No. | 不 不 |
[07:25] | I… I don’t want to believe that. | 我… 我不想信 |
[07:30] | It’s like two deaths. | 这就和两起谋杀一样了 |
[07:32] | It’s not… human. | 这不… 人道 |
[07:36] | Mrs. Wayland, | 韦兰德太太 |
[07:39] | people act differently in groups. | 人在群体里的时候行为会发生改变 |
[07:41] | They just… do. | 人就是这样的 |
[07:44] | You add alcohol to the mix and they’re capable of doing things | 加上酒精的麻醉他们做事情 |
[07:46] | they would never do if they were alone. | 是独自一人时绝对做不出的事 |
[07:50] | But… | 但是… |
[07:51] | what about now? | 现在怎么办 |
[07:54] | Why isn’t someone stepping forward now? | 为什么现在了还没有人站出来啊 |
[07:57] | It’s part of the dynamic. | 这是群体的行为特点 |
[07:59] | People commit to a certain course of action, | 人们一起决定共同的行为方式 |
[08:01] | and they stick to it. | 然后坚持下去 |
[08:03] | The key is to undermine the alliance | 关键是要破坏他们的 |
[08:05] | they’ve made to each other, | 群体关系 |
[08:07] | and that is what we’re gonna do. | 这就是我们接下来要做的 |
[08:11] | I promise you, | 我向您保证 |
[08:13] | before we’re through here, | 我们结案之前 |
[08:15] | you will know the truth. | 您一定会知道真相的 |
[08:21] | You made a lot of promises in there, | 你在里面做了很多保证啊 |
[08:23] | and now I have to keep them. | 现在我得替你实现那些保证 |
[08:24] | And, honestly, I don’t think I can. | 说实话 我觉得我做不到 |
[08:26] | Well, I wouldn’t have made them | 我要是不准备帮你的话 |
[08:27] | if I wasn’t prepared to help you, | 我是不会做那些保证的 |
[08:29] | assuming you want my help. | 前提是你想要我的帮助 |
[08:30] | Why don’t you ask that victim’s mother | 要不然你去问问受害者的妈妈 |
[08:31] | if she wants my help. | 想不想要我的帮助吧 |
[08:33] | It’s not that I don’t want your help. | 不是我不想要你帮我 |
[08:35] | Look, you were my mother’s idea. | 听着 找你来是我妈妈的主意 |
[08:37] | Yeah, and what does she know? | 她懂什么呢 |
[08:38] | She’s only been doing it for 30 years. | 她只是干这行干了三十年而已 |
[08:39] | I don’t have to explain myself to you. | 我不用向你解释我自己 |
[08:41] | Well, then let me explain you to you. | 那我给你解释一下你自己 |
[08:43] | You think you’re smarter than everybody else. | 你觉得自己比所有人都聪明 |
[08:45] | You think you’re morally superior. | 你觉得自己道德高人一等 |
[08:46] | And you think you got this legal thing wired because | 你觉得自己精通法律 |
[08:49] | you had the highest marks in your class | 因为你在班里分数最高 |
[08:51] | or the best handwriting, or I don’t know. | 或者写字最好 我反正不知道 |
[08:54] | You’ve been assistant district attorney for what? | 你当助理地区检察官多久了 |
[08:56] | A minute? And you’re too stupid to realize | 一分钟吗 你傻到完全意识不到 |
[08:59] | that it costs you nothing to listen. | 听听建议是不会有损失的 |
[09:01] | You can hear my ideas and still reject them | 你可以听我的想法然后反对我 |
[09:03] | without me being any the wiser, | 我不会因此比你更聪明 |
[09:05] | instead of letting me know with your smug affect | 然而你非要把你对我的蔑视写在脸上 |
[09:08] | just how little you think of me. | 专门让我看 |
[09:09] | Oh, and one more thing. | 对了 还有件事 |
[09:11] | You got no people skills. | 你完全没有处理人际关系的能力 |
[09:12] | That woman just lost her son, | 那个女人刚刚失去了自己的儿子 |
[09:14] | and what she needed to hear from you | 她需要从你那儿听到的是 |
[09:16] | was that you were gonna get her some answers, | 你会给她答案 |
[09:18] | even if you didn’t have any. | 就算你没有答案也没关系 |
[09:19] | But you’re so arrogant, | 但你太傲慢 |
[09:21] | and you’re working so hard to be honest with her, | 你非要执着的保持诚实 |
[09:24] | that you didn’t see what was required there was a good lie. | 根本看不出她真正需要的是一个善意的谎言 |
[09:27] | Although, I’d bet the house | 尽管 我敢打赌 |
[09:29] | you think there’s no such thing as a good lie. | 你觉得世界上根本没有善意的谎言一说 |
[09:31] | Be sure and tell your mother how amazing I was. | 别忘了告诉你妈妈我有多厉害 |
[09:37] | Okay, Doctor, I’m all ears. | 好 博士 我听着呢 |
[09:39] | These 15 kids are my only witnesses, | 这十五个孩子是我唯一的证人 |
[09:42] | and all their stories synced. | 他们的说法全都一样 |
[09:43] | So, obviously, someone sat them down. | 很明显 有人跟他们谈过了 |
[09:45] | Obviously, someone rehearsed them. | 很明显 有人帮他们彩排了说法 |
[09:46] | So what do you suggest I do? | 你建议我怎么办 |
[09:47] | I’d put so much pressure on those college boys | 我会给那群大学生施压 |
[09:50] | they’d turn back into preschoolers. | 压到他们直接变回幼儿园水平 |
[09:52] | We need them to start turning on each other. | 我们得让他们开始互相背叛 |
[09:54] | And how do I do that? | 这要怎么做啊 |
[09:55] | Well, here’s a crazy idea. | 我有个疯狂的想法 |
[09:57] | Start filing charges. | 开始起诉 |
[09:58] | Against who? | 起诉谁啊 |
[09:59] | Against all of them, all 15. | 所有十五个人 |
[10:01] | Charge them with manslaughter. | 起诉他们过失杀人 |
[10:03] | Make those boys sweat. | 先让他们慌了阵脚 |
[10:04] | Make their parents sweat. | 让他们的父母慌了阵脚 |
[10:05] | Make them hire expensive lawyers, | 让他们开始雇好律师 |
[10:07] | and make them sweat, too. | 让他们的律师也慌了阵脚 |
[10:08] | You want me to charge 15 kids with manslaughter? | 你想让我起诉十五个孩子过失杀人吗 |
[10:11] | All due respect, that’s insane. | 没冒犯的意思 但这太疯狂了 |
[10:13] | I knew you’d like it. | 我就知道你会喜欢这个主意的 |
[10:14] | There is no evidence. | 没有证据啊 |
[10:16] | I won’t be able to convict one person, let alone 15. | 一个人都定不了罪 别说十五个了 |
[10:18] | If we charge all of them, someone will break | 如果我们起诉他们所有人的话 有人会崩溃 |
[10:21] | and come forward looking for a deal. | 然后来找我们做交易的 |
[10:23] | And that is how we find our guy. | 这就是我们找到凶手的方式 |
[10:25] | And if that doesn’t happen? | 要是没按你的计划来呢 |
[10:27] | Then I’ll be wrong and that hasn’t happened since 2005. | 那就是我错了 从2005年开始就没犯过错 |
[10:30] | It was a Wednesday. | 那次是个周三 |
[10:31] | I said it was gonna rain, it only drizzled. | 我说会下雨 结果只下了毛毛雨 |
[10:34] | And by the way, I’m doing this for the grieving mother. | 对了 我是为了那个悲伤的母亲才这么做的 |
[10:37] | Not for you. | 不是为了你 |
[10:50] | Well, here’s something you don’t see every day, | 这是个很少见的场景 |
[10:52] | 15 Lennox University students, | 十五个伦诺克斯大学的学生 |
[10:53] | all of them members or pledges | 全部是KKT的 |
[10:56] | of Kappa Kappa Theta, | 已知或者宣誓成员 |
[10:57] | doing the “perp walk” | 现在因为助理地区检察官 |
[10:58] | after they were all booked on the order | 里蒙德·阿伯纳西的传召 |
[11:00] | of Assistant District Attorney Richmond Abernathy. | 手带手铐被押往警局 |
[11:02] | You orchestrated all this, didn’t you? | 你设计的这一切吧 |
[11:06] | Called the press, worked out the timing? | 算好时机 叫来媒体 |
[11:09] | You can thank me later. | 你可以待会儿再感谢我 |
[11:11] | – You hear that sound? – What? | – 你听到了吗 – 什么 |
[11:14] | It’s the sound of your phone ringing | 慌张的父母在电视上看到 |
[11:15] | with calls from frantic moms and dads | 自己的宝贝儿子们之后 |
[11:17] | who just saw their baby boys on TV | 想要跟你做交易 |
[11:19] | and want to know how they can cut a deal. | 打爆你电话的声音 |
[11:25] | I was able to hack into the fraternity security system. | 我黑进了他们的联谊会安保系统 |
[11:28] | Now, this camera’s at the back door. | 这是后门的摄像头 |
[11:30] | And I don’t know who’s who, but I can tell | 我看不出谁是谁 但我能看出 |
[11:33] | that 16 kids left the fraternity a little after 1:00 a.m. | 那十六个孩子凌晨一点多离开了联谊会堂 |
[11:37] | And it looks like only 15 came back a little after 4:00. | 四点后看起来只有十五个回来了 |
[11:40] | Okay. What about the other doors? | 好 那其他的门呢 |
[11:42] | Are they all monitored? Could Sam have | 都有摄像头吗 |
[11:45] | slipped in and then slipped back out through a side door? | 山姆有可能从侧门溜进去又溜了出来吗 |
[11:47] | ‘Cause that’s what the other side’s gonna argue. | 因为他们肯定会这么辩驳的 |
[11:49] | Yeah, but didn’t you say the roommate told the cops | 但你不是说他室友已经告诉了警察 |
[11:51] | that they all came in together, | 他们是一起回来的吗 |
[11:52] | – went to bed together? – Mm-hmm. | – 一起睡的觉 – 嗯 |
[11:54] | He also said he was extremely intoxicated, | 他还说他醉的很厉害 |
[11:56] | left himself plenty of plausible deniability. | 让他有了大把推翻自己说法的机会 |
[12:00] | Can we get somebody down | 我们能不能找人 |
[12:01] | to City Hall, Department of Records? | 到宿舍楼的登记部去一趟 |
[12:02] | Let’s get a set of plans for that house, | 仔细研究一下那个房子 制定个计划 |
[12:05] | see every ingress and egress. | 查看所有的进出记录 |
[12:07] | Marissa?! | 米莉莎 |
[12:08] | Uh, I, uh, actually don’t think she’s in yet. | 我 我觉得她还没来呢 |
[12:12] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么啊 |
[12:13] | It’s Marissa. She’s always in. | 这可是米莉莎啊 她永远都在 |
[12:16] | I’ve worked with her for six years. | 我和她工作了六年了 |
[12:17] | She’s never even had a cold. | 她连感冒都没得过 |
[12:20] | Should we call her? | 我们该给她打个电话吗 |
[12:22] | Should we call the police? | 要报警吗 |
[12:27] | She’s fine, Dr. Bull. | 她没事儿 布尔博士 |
[12:28] | She’s just running late. | 她只是迟到了而已 |
[12:32] | What does that mean? | 这是什么意思 |
[12:34] | Do you know where she is? | 你知道她在哪儿吗 |
[12:36] | I know that she’s fine, and I know she’ll be here soon. | 我知道她没事儿 我也知道她很快就会来的 |
[12:40] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[12:42] | Apparently, I just work here. | 很明显 我也在这儿工作 |
[12:45] | I’ll be in my office. | 我就在办公室等着 |
[12:52] | He had booze in his belly and water in his lungs. | 他胃里有酒 肺里有水 |
[12:54] | Blood alcohol level? | 血液酒精含量呢 |
[12:56] | .43, enough to make a rhino tipsy. | 零点四三 足够放倒一个犀牛了 |
[12:58] | Didn’t kill him, though. | 但害不死他 |
[13:00] | How’s that? | 为什么 |
[13:01] | This boy died from asphyxiation. | 他是窒息而死的 |
[13:03] | While he was in the water, he aspirated. | 他在水里的时候吸气了 |
[13:05] | Choked to death on his own vomit. | 被自己的呕吐物呛死了 |
[13:08] | Horrible, violent way to die. | 非常恐怖 暴力的死法 |
[13:17] | A death like that… | 这样死的话… |
[13:19] | would be noisy, right? | 声音会很大吧 |
[13:21] | Hard to ignore? | 很难不被注意到吧 |
[13:22] | If there were people around, | 如果周围有人的话 |
[13:24] | I think it would be impossible to ignore. | 是不可能注意不到的 |
[13:28] | Hey. Sorry to bother you. | 对不起打扰了 |
[13:31] | My name is Rex Bond. I own Rex’s Bail Bonds. | 我是雷克斯保释证券的老板 雷克斯证券公司 |
[13:33] | Hi. Hey, Mr. Daniels? | 丹尼尔斯先生 |
[13:36] | It’s just totally crazy, you know? | 这太疯狂了 |
[13:39] | Rob Daniels. How can I help you? | 我是罗伯·丹尼尔斯 我能帮你吗 |
[13:41] | I’m guessing you’re an attorney. Huh? Huh? | 我猜你是个律师吧 对吧 |
[13:45] | My name is Rex Bond. I own Rex’s Bail Bonds. | 我是雷克斯证券公司 雷克斯保释证券的老板 |
[13:48] | I understand the kids are out on their parents’recognizance, | 我明白孩子们是在父母的担保下出狱的 |
[13:50] | but if that should change, I wanted to let them know | 但如果被起诉的话 我想让他们知道 |
[13:53] | that we are ready and willing to be of help. | 我们准备好了并且愿意帮助他们 |
[13:55] | I’m talking no money down, excellent rates. | 不需要付定金 风险小 回报高 |
[13:57] | If I could just come in and talk to the boys | 是不是我直接进去 和他们寒暄 |
[14:00] | and leave them my card? | 然后递上我的名片就可以了 |
[14:01] | You’re not coming in here. | 你不能进去 |
[14:03] | You’re not talking to any of these boys. | 也没机会和他们搭上话 |
[14:05] | – I’m not? – No, you’re not. | – 不能吗 – 不行 |
[14:07] | I’m sure you understand. | 我确信你能理解的 |
[14:10] | These boys have been charged with a homicide. | 这些男孩都受到了杀人指控 |
[14:13] | They’re not gonna talk to just anybody who comes in the door. | 所以这里的任何一个人你都别想搭话 |
[14:15] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[14:18] | I get that. | 明白了 |
[14:19] | But I’m glad that I’ve made your acquaintance. | 但很高兴认识你 |
[14:22] | I’m always looking for good attorneys I can refer | 我一直在给我的客户 |
[14:24] | my clients to. | 找靠谱的律师 |
[14:28] | Here you go. | 给你 |
[14:30] | – Don’t lose that. – All right. | – 别弄丢了 – 好的 |
[14:34] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:37] | Oh. Hey. | 嘿 |
[14:39] | Hey. Full house. | 嗨 大佬 |
[14:44] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[14:45] | Sorry. Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[14:47] | I will be there in one minute. | 我马上就位 |
[14:50] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[14:52] | Yeah. Of course. | 没事 |
[14:53] | I’m fine. Late, but fine. | 我很好 就是迟到了 |
[14:55] | Really? I’m concerned. | 真的吗 我担心你 |
[14:57] | This is so not like you. | 迟到可不是你的作风 |
[14:58] | Anything you want to tell me? | 有什么事想说吗 |
[15:00] | Oh, like what? | 说什么 |
[15:02] | Like, are you looking for another job? | 比如 你是不是正在找其他的工作 |
[15:04] | No. | 不是 |
[15:05] | No. | 不是 |
[15:06] | I’m not looking for another job. | 我没有在找别的工作 |
[15:09] | Doctor appointment? | 约了医生吗 |
[15:11] | Yeah, okay, I did not have a doctor’s appointment. | 好吧 我也没有约医生 |
[15:13] | Nothing is wrong with me, everything is fine. | 我什么问题也没有 一切都好 |
[15:15] | I am truly sorry for being late. | 真心抱歉 我迟到了 |
[15:17] | So what kind of job are you interviewing for? | 那你要找的是什么工作啊 |
[15:20] | Okay, Bull… | 好吧 布尔 |
[15:21] | Huh? | 啊 |
[15:22] | Look, we have been together | 听着 咱们在一起工作已经 |
[15:24] | for… ever. | …好久了 |
[15:27] | And I am very happy here, very happy. | 我也非常非常开心 |
[15:30] | And I am very healthy. | 而且我身体心理都没什么毛病 |
[15:31] | No worries there. No worries at all. | 别担心 一点都别担心 |
[15:33] | I’m sorry if I caused you… concern. | 如果我让你费心了 那对不起 |
[15:38] | So, where were you? | 那你去哪里了 |
[15:39] | I was nowhere. It was nothing. | 哪里都没去 我就是个无名小卒 |
[15:43] | I went out to dinner last night, | 昨天晚上我出去吃晚饭了 |
[15:45] | and… one thing led to another, | 然后 发生了好多事 |
[15:48] | and I guess you could say I… | 可以这么说吧 |
[15:51] | ended up having an irresponsible evening. | 我最后过了一个不负责任的夜晚 |
[15:57] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[15:59] | I think. Um, are…? | 我认为 我们 |
[16:00] | Are we done? | 话题到这就可以结束了吧 |
[16:01] | Mission accomplished. | 任务完成 |
[16:05] | Oh, what do you got there, Chunk? | 你那边有什么消息 特朗科 |
[16:07] | Oh. Wow. Those boys are lawyered up. | 那些孩子都已经准备好律师了 |
[16:13] | I hate to be a buzzkill, | 我也不想泼冷水 |
[16:14] | but those boys just might be telling the truth. | 但那些男孩可能确实说的是实话 |
[16:17] | Excuse me. I’ve been doing this for a very long time, | 我也是老江湖了 |
[16:20] | and they’re telling everything but the truth. | 我可以告诉你 他们什么都说 就是不说实话 |
[16:22] | I’m just saying. | 我是想说 |
[16:23] | According to the coroner, Sam’s death was violent and loud. | 验尸官说山姆的死亡暴力且动静大 |
[16:27] | It’s hard to imagine 15 guys just standing around, | 很难想象15个人就那么站在他边上 |
[16:30] | – watching him die. – Dr. Bull? | – 眼睁睁看着他死 – 布尔博士 |
[16:32] | You have a call from Assistant District Attorney Abernathy. | 您有来自阿伯纳西助理律师办公区打来的电话 |
[16:34] | I put the call in your office. | 给您接到办公室 |
[16:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:38] | What’s the good news? | 有没有什么好消息 |
[16:39] | Dr. Bull, | 布尔先生 |
[16:40] | you promised me an eyewitness. | 你可是说会有目击证人出现的 |
[16:41] | Have you received any calls? | 你接到什么线索电话了吗 |
[16:43] | No. | 没有 |
[16:44] | Yeah. Nor have I. | 是啊 我也没有 |
[16:45] | The trial starts tomorrow, | 明天开始庭审 |
[16:47] | and no one’s looking to flip. | 现在还是没人改口 |
[16:49] | There are no deals on the table. | 我们也没签订任何协议 |
[16:50] | Well, let’s not quit before we get started. | 别还没开始就放弃啊 |
[16:52] | That’s easy for you to say. | 你说得轻松 |
[16:54] | This is all gonna land on me, Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 这担子可都在我身上 |
[16:57] | Losing the one kid might have been bad, | 已经失去一个孩子就够难过的 |
[16:59] | but losing the 15? | 但要是十五个都失去了呢 |
[17:01] | I might as well start packing my desk. | 我最好现在就准备卷铺盖走人吧 |
[17:03] | Well, I’ll be sure to convey your selfless concerns | 别担心我会把你自私的想法 |
[17:05] | to the victim’s next of kin. | 传达给受害者的家属的 |
[17:14] | Didn’t think it’d actually get to this. | 没有想到事情会走到这一步 |
[17:16] | A trial with 15 defendants? | 一场十五个被告的庭审 |
[17:18] | I was sure somebody’d break ranks, make a deal, | 我之前确信会有人打破沉默 出来和我们协议 |
[17:22] | tell us what actually happened that night. | 告诉我们那天晚上到底发生了什么 |
[17:24] | So what are we looking for? | 所以我们现在需要什么 |
[17:26] | Jury-wise, I mean. | 我觉得是明智的陪审团 |
[17:27] | You ever heard of the threshold number? | 你听说过限值吗 |
[17:29] | That would be a “no”” | 没有 |
[17:31] | It’s the number of people who have to make a decision | 那就是在你我做出相同决定前 |
[17:33] | before you or I might make the same one. | 必须做出决定的人数 |
[17:35] | One person breaks a store window, it’s a robbery. | 一个人打破商场的窗户 这是抢劫 |
[17:37] | Ten people break store windows, it’s a riot. | 十个人打破商场的窗户 这就是暴动 |
[17:40] | The question is, | 问题是 |
[17:41] | how many people had to start breaking store windows | 在其他人毫无愧疚之心加入之前 |
[17:44] | before the others felt comfortable joining in? | 有多少人先开始打破商店窗户的 |
[17:46] | How many fraternity brothers had to say they were… | 有多少个兄弟会成员 |
[17:50] | okay walking away from this kid drowning | 在其他人也加入之前 |
[17:53] | before everybody else was willing to join in? | 就心安理得的甩下那孩子让他溺水的 |
[17:55] | Okay. I get that. | 我懂了 |
[17:57] | But how does that help us figure out who we want on the jury? | 但是我们怎么才能知道要选谁进陪审团啊 |
[18:08] | What am I missing? | 我忽略了什么吗 |
[18:10] | That guy. He’s our perfect juror. | 那个人 就是我们完美的陪审员 |
[18:13] | That guy? The guy throwing the granny shots? | 定点投篮那个人吗 |
[18:15] | – Why? ‘Cause he looks ridiculous? – Precisely. | – 为什么 因为他看起来可笑吗 – 是啊 |
[18:18] | He doesn’t care. | 他不在乎 |
[18:19] | As long as the shots are going in. | 只要能打进去 |
[18:21] | You know, Wilt Chamberlain, one of the greatest players | 你知道 威尔特·张伯伦 人类历史上 |
[18:24] | that ever lived… | 最伟大的球员之一 |
[18:24] | And a lousy foul shooter. | 也曾是一个罚烂球的球员 |
[18:26] | One year, just for the hell of it, | 有一年他胡闹 |
[18:27] | decides to shoot all his free throws underhand. | 决定不择手段罚所有的球 |
[18:31] | Even scored over 100 points one game. | 甚至有一场得分超过一百的情况 |
[18:34] | Never did it again, though. | 虽然再没这么干过 |
[18:36] | Power of peer pressure. | 这就是同伴压力的魔力啊 |
[18:40] | Be seated. | 各位就座 |
[18:49] | A little gift from me to you. | 给你带了一个小礼物 |
[18:52] | What the hell are you doing? | 你在干什么 |
[18:53] | I’m helping you find a high-threshold jury. | 我在帮你找高能陪审员 |
[18:59] | Do any of you belong to, uh, any groups, | 你们中有没有人加入了什么团体 |
[19:02] | clubs, organizations? | 俱乐部 或是什么组织 |
[19:07] | I sing in my church choir | 我在唱诗班唱歌 |
[19:09] | and I’m part of my neighborhood watch. | 也是居委会的一员 |
[19:14] | Oh, she is | 她什么都参加 |
[19:15] | a joiner, Bull. | 布尔 |
[19:17] | Also, she belongs to the PTA, | 她也加入了学生家长和教师联谊会 |
[19:18] | and she’s on the board of her community center. | 她还是社区中心委员会的一员 |
[19:20] | A pox on her house. | 简直天花临头 |
[19:22] | Move to strike, Your Honor. | 我们要求撤去这名陪审员 法官阁下 |
[19:23] | And what about you, sir? | 您呢这位先生 |
[19:25] | Do you participate in any organizations? | 你加入任何组织了吗 |
[19:27] | I belong to the Rotary. | 我就职于劳特莱手表集团 |
[19:28] | The president of his local chapter | 连续三年都是 |
[19:30] | three years in a row. | 地方分会会长 |
[19:32] | Move to strike, Your Honor. | 我们要求撤去这名陪审员 法官阁下 |
[19:36] | Sir, it says here | 先生 上面说你是当地 |
[19:38] | you’re an officer on your co-op board. | 公司董事会的成员 |
[19:41] | – What’s your title? – Treasurer. | – 您的职位是什么 – 会计 |
[19:43] | Bull’s-eye. Talk about a thankless job. | 布尔的小眼线 一份吃力不讨好的工作 |
[19:45] | People must hate him. | 人们肯定讨厌他 |
[19:47] | But he doesn’t care, which means we love him. | 但他不在乎 我们爱他 |
[19:49] | Marissa, talk to me. | 玛丽莎 回话 |
[19:51] | What do you need, Dr. Bull? | 你需要什么 布尔博士 |
[19:52] | Marissa’s not there? | 玛丽莎不在这里吗 |
[19:54] | Um, she had… | 她 |
[19:55] | an emergency. | 有点紧急情况 |
[19:57] | Can I help you? | 我能帮助你吗 |
[19:58] | – What kind of emergency? – By the way, | – 什么紧急情况 – 顺便说一下 |
[20:00] | your pen is leaking. | 您的钢笔漏水了 |
[20:02] | Oh. | 好的 |
[20:03] | You don’t say. | 可不是么 |
[20:05] | Never mind. I don’t need her. | 没事 我不需要她 |
[20:08] | This juror’s acceptable to the prosecution, Your Honor. | 接受这名陪审员 法官阁下 |
[20:16] | That was a very expensive shirt. | 我这衬衣很贵的 |
[20:17] | That was a very expensive pen. | 我这笔也很贵的 |
[20:21] | Anyone feel like tapas? | 有人想吃点点心吗 |
[20:24] | Gentlemen. | 先生们 |
[20:26] | Mr. Assistant District Attorney? | 助理律师先生 |
[20:29] | Sorry to interrupt your lunch break, gentlemen, | 抱歉打扰了你们用餐时间 |
[20:31] | but I was hoping to get a word. | 但我想说句话 |
[20:33] | What’s on your mind, Counselor? | 您想说什么 法律顾问 |
[20:34] | Well, I know you’re not gonna like this, but, uh, | 我知道 你不喜欢这样 但是 |
[20:36] | I believe that what we’re looking at here | 我相信我们看到的 |
[20:39] | is a tragic accident. Nothing more, nothing less. | 是个不幸的事故 仅此而已 |
[20:42] | But to compound the felony by destroying 15 young lives… | 但要通过毁掉15个年轻人的生活来加重罪行 |
[20:45] | it makes no sense. | 这不明智 |
[20:47] | There’s no physical evidence, you got no eyewitnesses. | 没有物证 也没有目击证人 |
[20:49] | Wait a second. | 等一下 |
[20:50] | None of that changes the fact that someone died | 那些都不足以改变有人由于 |
[20:53] | during the commission of a crime. | 犯罪而失去生命的事实 |
[20:54] | Excuse me, Jury Consultant. | 真是不好意思 陪审团顾问 |
[20:58] | What crime? | 什么犯罪 |
[20:59] | Contributing to the delinquency of a minor. | 促成未成年人违法 |
[21:01] | Providing alcohol to someone who is underage. | 向未成年人售酒 |
[21:03] | And by the way, I’m a trial scientist. | 另外 我是个审讯学家 |
[21:06] | What I do is, I tell lawyers… | 我所做的只是 告诉那些 |
[21:08] | the ones who are smart enough to listen… | 懂得倾听的聪明律师 |
[21:10] | what to do so they can win their cases. | 教他们怎样做能赢得官司 |
[21:12] | And they pay me very well for it. | 他们会付我丰厚的薪水 |
[21:14] | I’m guessing you and I are not destined to work together. | 我猜我们注定不适合一起工作 |
[21:18] | These boys, including the victim, | 这些男孩 包括受害者 |
[21:20] | were doing what college kids have been doing | 只是做了大学生们干了一百年的事 |
[21:22] | for 100 years… drinking. | 喝酒 |
[21:23] | You really want to send them to prison for that? | 你真要为此让他们入狱吗 |
[21:26] | An 18-year-old boy died, Counselor. | 一个十八岁的孩子为此丧命 律师 |
[21:28] | And a mother lost her child. | 一个母亲失去了她的孩子 |
[21:30] | Absolutely. | 我当然知道 |
[21:31] | It’s a tragedy, but it’s a tragedy born of an accident. | 这是个悲剧 但这惨剧是意外造成的 |
[21:34] | No one set out to murder this poor boy. | 没人要谋杀这个可怜的男孩 |
[21:37] | My clients weren’t even present when it happened. | 我的委托方在出事时甚至都不在场 |
[21:39] | So they say. | 他们也是这么说的 |
[21:40] | I tell you what. | 听我说 |
[21:43] | I’ll let 14 of them walk. | 我会放过其中14个人 |
[21:45] | Mr. Assistant District Attorney. | 地区助理检察官先生 |
[21:47] | I will… under one condition. | 只有一个条件 |
[21:51] | I want the person responsible. | 我需要一个担责的人 |
[21:54] | The one who said, “Let’s get these pledges drunk”” | 一个说”我们把这些混球灌醉吧”的人 |
[21:57] | The one who said, “Let’s take them for a swim.” | 一个说”我们引他们去游泳吧”的人 |
[21:59] | I want that person to come forward | 我希望那个人站出来 |
[22:02] | and accept responsibility. | 承担一切责任 |
[22:05] | There’s no such person, Mr. Assistant District Attorney. | 根本没有这样的人 地区助理检察官先生 |
[22:09] | Enjoy your lunch, gentlemen. | 好好吃饭吧 先生们 |
[22:15] | Well, this is a career first. | 这是职场初期 |
[22:17] | We’re about to start a trial, and I have no case. | 想要开始审讯 但没有案子 |
[22:19] | – We have a case. – No, we don’t. | – 我们有案件啊 – 不 没有 |
[22:22] | No. My idea didn’t work. | 我的想法不起效 |
[22:24] | I was sure they’d crack and somebody would come to us | 我本来确信他们会产生间隙 会有个人 |
[22:27] | and tell us the truth, but… | 来告诉我们真相 但 |
[22:30] | they just offered to let us surrender. | 他们只是提出要我们放弃 |
[22:38] | Look at that. | 看啊 |
[22:39] | Not one, “I’m sorry.” | 没人说”对不起” |
[22:41] | Not one, “He was my friend.” | 没人说”他是我的朋友” |
[22:43] | They’re all terrified, | 他们都害怕 |
[22:45] | just not terrified enough to break ranks. | 只是还没有怕到散伙 |
[22:46] | You know what? | 你知道吗 |
[22:48] | We’re doing this backward. | 我们要反向行动 |
[22:50] | What are you talking about? | 你什么意思 |
[22:51] | I’m tired of waiting for them to come to us. | 我已经厌倦了等他们来找我们 |
[22:53] | Let’s pick one kid, separate him from the pack, | 我们就找一个孩子 把他和团体分开 |
[22:56] | and dismiss the charges against him. | 驳回对他的指控 |
[22:58] | What do you mean? Offer him immunity? | 什么意思 给他豁免权 |
[23:02] | Yeah. That’s exactly what I mean. | 对 就是这样 |
[23:04] | We have to be smart about it, though. | 但是要很机警 |
[23:07] | We have to pick the right guy. | 必须要选一个合适的人 |
[23:08] | Not the guy we really think is guilty. | 不是那个真正有罪的 |
[23:10] | We want to see him punished. | 要让他受到惩罚 |
[23:12] | We got to pick a guy we can squeeze, | 我们需要一个可以压榨的人 |
[23:15] | a guy we can put on the stand and scare the crap out of. | 可以推上证人席 吓得他屁滚尿流的人 |
[23:18] | Make him understand, | 让他明白 |
[23:21] | once we’ve immunized him, | 一旦我们豁免了他 |
[23:23] | if he doesn’t cooperate, he’ll be locked up for contempt. | 如果不合作 就犯了蔑视法庭罪 |
[23:26] | If he lies, he’ll be locked up for perjury. | 如果撒谎 就犯了做伪证罪 |
[23:32] | I know just the guy. | 我知道要找谁了 |
[23:36] | All I’m trying to say is, if you approach it mathematically, | 我想说的是 如果要准确的实施 |
[23:39] | his roommate Carter is the most vulnerable. | 他的舍友卡特是最容易击破的 |
[23:41] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白了 |
[23:42] | What do you mean, “mathematically”? | 什么叫 准确的 |
[23:44] | Well, other than lies of omission, | 不同于疏忽所撒的谎 |
[23:46] | the only lies everybody had to tell | 大家都需要说两个谎 |
[23:48] | were that Sam got out of the water | 就是山姆从水中出来了 |
[23:50] | and went back to the frat house with them… two lies. | 而且和他们一起回到了兄弟会基地 就这两个 |
[23:53] | Carter, on the other hand, | 卡特 就不一样了 |
[23:54] | had to go a lot further. He had to say that he and Sam | 他要撒更多谎 他还要说他和山姆 |
[23:57] | made it back to the room together and they went to bed. | 一起回了房间并且上床睡觉 |
[24:00] | And that therefore Sam must have snuck | 因此山姆一定是趁着 |
[24:02] | out of the house after everybody was asleep, | 所有人熟睡时偷偷溜出房子 |
[24:05] | and died alone. | 孤独死亡 |
[24:07] | Under a grant of immunity, he must testify, | 既然被许诺赦免权 他必须作证 |
[24:09] | and if he lies, he is subject to ten years in prison. | 如果说谎 就会被判服刑十年 |
[24:11] | Remember, the point of all this is to get him to tell us | 记住 重点就是要让他告诉我们 |
[24:14] | what really happened that night. | 那晚究竟发生了什么 |
[24:15] | You have got to use his testimony | 必须要让他的证词 |
[24:17] | against him like a club, | 对他不利 |
[24:19] | and beat him with it, | 以此来攻击他 |
[24:20] | until he tells us what we need to know. | 直到他说出我们想知道的事 |
[24:25] | I know what I need to do. | 我知道我该干什么 |
[24:29] | Well, if you know what to do, then our job here is done. | 既然你知道了 那我们可以散会了 |
[24:41] | Marissa. | 米莉莎 |
[24:42] | Uh, did you call me? | 你叫我了吗 |
[24:44] | When do I get to meet him? | 我何时能见他 |
[24:46] | Meet who? | 见谁 |
[24:47] | Mr. Irresponsible. | 不负责先生 |
[24:49] | Let’s just see if it lasts the weekend | 先看看在筹办婚礼前 |
[24:50] | before we plan the wedding. | 能不能持续到周末 |
[24:54] | You know how important you are to me. | 你也知道你对我多重要 |
[24:57] | I think so. | 应该吧 |
[24:59] | And you can call me anytime. | 你可以随时打电话给我 |
[25:02] | Day or night with anything. | 任何时间任何事都可以 |
[25:04] | That is sweet. | 真好啊 |
[25:06] | I’m fine, Bull. | 我没事 布尔 |
[25:08] | In fact, I’m better than fine. | 不仅没事 还挺好的呢 |
[25:11] | I’m happy. | 我很开心 |
[25:13] | I’m happy you’re happy. | 很开心你能开心 |
[25:16] | Go get some sleep. | 去睡觉吧 |
[25:22] | You’re here on a grant of immunity. | 你有了赦免权才在这的 |
[25:24] | Um, yes, sir. | 我知道 先生 |
[25:26] | That means, so as long as you tell the truth, | 就是说 只要你说的都是事实 |
[25:29] | anything you say here, we can’t use it against you. | 我们不能用这些来攻击你 |
[25:32] | That’s what my lawyer said. | 我律师说过了 |
[25:35] | You and Sam were roommates. | 你和山姆是室友 |
[25:37] | Would you say you were friends? | 你们是朋友吗 |
[25:39] | we just met six weeks ago, | 我们六周前才认识 |
[25:42] | but, yes. | 但 可以这么说 |
[25:44] | W-We liked each other. | 我们对彼此有好感 |
[25:45] | On this particular night, | 在这个不寻常的夜晚 |
[25:46] | there was a pledge party. | 有一个兄弟会派对 |
[25:49] | I think you told the detective it was a celebration. | 我知道你告诉探员那是个庆祝会 |
[25:53] | Was there alcohol at the celebration? | 庆祝会有酒吗 |
[25:56] | Yes. | 有 |
[25:58] | Did you drink? | 你喝了吗 |
[26:01] | Yes. | 喝了 |
[26:02] | Even though, here in New York State, | 可是 在纽约 |
[26:04] | you’re under the legal drinking age. | 你还不到喝酒的法定年龄 |
[26:05] | Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[26:06] | We’re prepared to stipulate | 规定中 |
[26:08] | that there was underage drinking | 庆祝会是存在不合法饮酒的 |
[26:09] | at the celebration. | 事情 |
[26:11] | So stipulated. | 那约定吧 |
[26:13] | Did Sam drink? | 山姆喝酒了吗 |
[26:15] | Yes, I-I saw him drink. | 喝了 我 我看到他喝了 |
[26:17] | Any idea how much? | 知道喝了多少吗 |
[26:18] | I, uh, wasn’t keeping track. | 我没一直看着他 |
[26:22] | Coroner says Sam’s blood alcohol level was .43. | 死因裁判官说山姆血液中酒精指标为0.43 |
[26:27] | Just to put it in perspective, | 我想说的是 |
[26:28] | symptoms in a typical human being | 正常人血液中酒精指标 |
[26:30] | with a blood alcohol level between .3 and .4 | 在0.3到0.4之间时的症状 |
[26:34] | are complete unconsciousness, | 是完全昏迷 |
[26:36] | depressed or absent reflexes, and impairment | 情绪低迷或毫无知觉 还有循环系统 |
[26:39] | of circulation and respiration. | 和呼吸的损伤 |
[26:41] | Not to put too fine a point on it, | 直截了当地说 |
[26:43] | but death has been known to occur | 当酒精指标超过0.37时 |
[26:45] | at a blood alcohol level of .37 or higher. | 结果可能就是死亡 |
[26:49] | And fatality is almost certain for nearly all individuals | 在超过0.45之后 几乎所有人都有 |
[26:53] | at .45 or higher. | 死亡的可能 |
[26:55] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[26:57] | Is counsel gonna ask a question? | 辩护律师是在问问题吗 |
[26:59] | Sustained. Ask a question, Mr. Abernathy. | 反对有效 问一个问题 阿伯纳西先生 |
[27:02] | Happy to, Your Honor. | 乐意至极 法官大人 |
[27:04] | So based on these findings, | 基于这些发现 |
[27:06] | knowing that your roommate… friend… | 知道了你的室友 你的朋友 |
[27:09] | was almost certainly at the very edge of consciousness, | 处在失去意识的边缘 |
[27:12] | perhaps even death’s door, | 甚至是死亡边缘 |
[27:14] | is it still your testimony | 你的证词还是 |
[27:16] | that he got out of the water on his own, | 他自己从水中出来 |
[27:18] | traveled three quarters of a mile back | 跋涉了四分之三英里 |
[27:20] | to the fraternity house in the dark, | 摸黑返回了房间 |
[27:22] | climbed stairs to the second floor and went to bed? | 爬了两楼 上床睡觉的吗 |
[27:27] | Yes, sir. | 没错律师 |
[27:29] | That is my testimony. | 这就是我的证词 |
[27:31] | To the room you shared. | 回到了你们的房间 |
[27:33] | Right beside each other. | 就在你的隔壁 |
[27:35] | Yes, sir. | 没错 |
[27:37] | Did he get undressed? | 他脱衣服了吗 |
[27:39] | We were already in our underwear. | 我们只穿着内裤 |
[27:42] | Did he brush his teeth? | 他刷牙了吗 |
[27:46] | – I-I don’t honestly remember. – But you are swearing | – 我记不得了 – 但你是否宣誓 |
[27:48] | under oath that the two of you | 你们两人 |
[27:50] | returned to your room that night | 当夜回到放假时 |
[27:52] | safe and sound, and that anything | 都是安全无恙的 |
[27:54] | that happened to him happened after that. | 他所遭遇的一切都是之后的事 |
[27:56] | Yes, sir. | 没错 |
[28:05] | Son, do you know the punishment for perjury? | 孩子 你知道作伪证有什么后果吗 |
[28:09] | It’s ten years. | 十年 |
[28:11] | Ten years in prison for lying to the court. | 十年的牢狱之灾 |
[28:14] | I’m not lying. | 我没有说谎 |
[28:15] | That’s ten years per each lie, actually. | 而且是每一个谎言十年 |
[28:17] | So you’ll be, what, | 所以等你出狱的时候 |
[28:19] | 29 when you get out? Or 39 or 49. | 你都29了吧 还是39 49 |
[28:21] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官阁下 |
[28:23] | We understand the concept of lying. | 我们都知道什么是撒谎 |
[28:25] | We understand ten years, and we all know how to count. | 我们也知道十年有多久 我们会数数 |
[28:28] | I’m not lying. | 我没有说谎 |
[28:31] | What if I told you | 那如果我告诉你 |
[28:32] | that I have security video that shows 16 of you | 我手上有监控录像 录像显示 |
[28:35] | leaving the house for the celebration, | 你们出门时有16个人 |
[28:37] | but only 15 of you coming back? | 但回来时只剩了15个呢 |
[28:40] | Would you be inclined to change your story? | 你有什么要改口的吗 |
[28:50] | All that drinking… | 都是因为喝酒 |
[28:54] | He needed to use the bathroom. | 他去上厕所了 |
[28:56] | He went in the side door. | 他走的侧门 |
[28:58] | It’s closer. | 那里更近 |
[29:01] | No camera there. | 没有监控 |
[29:02] | Is that your sworn testimony? | 这就是你的宣誓证词吗 |
[29:05] | It is. | 是的 |
[29:11] | Nothing further at this moment, Your Honor. | 我问完了 法官阁下 |
[29:14] | Defense has no questions for this witness, | 辩方没有问题了 |
[29:16] | – Your Honor. – If counsel | – 法官阁下 – 请双方律师 |
[29:18] | for both sides could approach the bench. | 上前 |
[29:20] | What’s Marissa saying? | 米莉莎那边什么情况 |
[29:21] | We created a lot of doubt, | 我们营造了很多疑问 |
[29:23] | but not a lot of certainty and people don’t convict people | 但是没有什么确定性 人们不会 |
[29:25] | based solely on doubt. | 仅凭疑虑下定论的 |
[29:28] | The judge would like to see us in her chambers. | 法官要求我们去会议厅 |
[29:30] | She’s threatening to dismiss the case. | 她想撤销案件 |
[29:37] | I’ve got 14 defendants in my courtroom. | 现在法庭里坐着14名被告人 |
[29:40] | 14 defendants, 12 jurors, 20-some parents, | 12名陪审团 20多位家长 |
[29:43] | enough lawyers to hold a convention. | 足够开个议会的律师 |
[29:45] | But not one name on the witness list | 但是证人名单上还没有一个名字 |
[29:48] | that promises to provide an iota of fact | 能提供有用事实 |
[29:51] | that will lead us anywhere different | 让我们走出现在 |
[29:52] | from where we are right now. | 这个尴尬的境地 |
[29:54] | In my opinion, this has been | 在我看来 |
[29:56] | a colossal waste of time and resources. | 这就是对时间和资源的双重浪费 |
[29:58] | But, Your Honor, that boy was obviously lying. | 但是法官阁下 那个男孩很明显在撒谎 |
[30:01] | That’s a supposition, Your Honor. | 这只是你的个人推断 法官阁下 |
[30:02] | One we have neither the time | 我们既没有时间 |
[30:03] | nor the authority to adjudicate. | 也没有证据证实 |
[30:06] | That would have been for the jury to decide. | 这本来是由陪审团决定的 |
[30:08] | Would have been? | 本来 |
[30:09] | I’m going to issue a directed verdict. | 我现在要直接下裁定了 |
[30:11] | Everyone innocent on all counts. | 所有人无罪 |
[30:13] | Let the defendants, the jurors, everyone, | 让被告 陪审团 所有人 |
[30:15] | – go home. – But there’s one more witness. | – 都回家 – 但是还有一位证人 |
[30:18] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[30:20] | I’m asking a favor, Your Honor. | 我现在求您 法官阁下 |
[30:23] | Allow us one more witness, | 让我们再加入以为证人 |
[30:26] | and I believe we can bring this to some kind of just conclusion. | 我相信事情会有重大转机的 |
[30:29] | And who is this mystery witness? | 那这位神秘的见证人是谁 |
[30:31] | The person for whom I took on this case. | 托我办案的人 |
[30:34] | The victim’s mother. | 受害者的母亲 |
[30:34] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[30:36] | She wasn’t there when her son died. | 她儿子死时她并不在场 |
[30:38] | She’s not a percipient witness. | 她并不是我们需要的目击者 |
[30:42] | We’re not here to provide catharsis, Dr. Bull. | 我们这里不是提供精神宣泄的地方 布尔博士 |
[30:44] | We’re here to find the truth and I fail to see | 我们的目的是找出真相 但是我不觉得 |
[30:46] | how this is going to get us there. | 这对找出真相有什么帮助 |
[30:48] | That’s why I called it a favor, Your Honor. | 所以我才说求您帮个忙 法官阁下 |
[30:51] | You promised me you would get me the truth. | 你答应过我找出真相的 |
[30:54] | That’s what I’m trying to do. | 我现在就在这么干 |
[30:58] | They don’t want to hear from me. | 他们不会想听我说的 |
[31:00] | They already know everything I’m gonna say. | 我要说什么他们都知道了 |
[31:02] | Don’t be so sure. | 别这么早下断论 |
[31:03] | You remember what you said to me the first time we met? | 你还记得我们第一次见你对我说什么吗 |
[31:07] | I told you I believed there were people present when Sam died. | 我说我相信山姆死时有人在场 |
[31:10] | And you said just the thought of that | 你说你认为那对你来说 |
[31:12] | was like a second death to you. | 是第二桩死亡事件 |
[31:15] | The boys need to hear that. | 这些孩子们得听到这些 |
[31:17] | It just might shake the truth out of them. | 这也许会让他们说出真相 |
[31:24] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[31:29] | Tell me what to say. | 告诉我怎么做 |
[31:32] | Uh, Sam was an only child. | 山姆是我的独子 |
[31:33] | He had no father. | 他没有父亲 |
[31:35] | He had no brothers, so, the idea | 没有兄弟 所以 |
[31:39] | of being in a fraternity… | 加入兄弟会 |
[31:41] | a house full of brothers and fathers… | 和一帮兄弟父辈在一起 |
[31:43] | he was very excited. | 对他来说是很兴奋的事情 |
[31:44] | Objection. | 反对 |
[31:46] | Relevance. | 与本案无关 |
[31:47] | Ask a question, Mr. Abernathy. | 问问题 阿伯纳西律师 |
[31:52] | The day you got the call | 你接到带你花 |
[31:53] | informing you that they had found Sam’s body, | 告诉你发现山姆尸体的时候 |
[31:56] | what were your reactions? | 你是什么反应 |
[31:57] | Again. Relevance. | 再次反对 与本案无关 |
[32:01] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[32:03] | Let the woman speak. | 让她说 |
[32:05] | Well, there were many things. | 我当时有很多感觉 |
[32:10] | First I thought it must be some mistake | 首先我认为一定是搞错了 |
[32:12] | and then I realized it wasn’t… | 然后我发现并没有 |
[32:15] | that Sam was gone. | 山姆已经不在了 |
[32:17] | Just… gone. | 就这么… 走了 |
[32:21] | And then I realized that no one | 然后我意识到没有一个人 |
[32:24] | could look me in the eye and tell me what happened. | 愿意看着我的眼睛说出真相 |
[32:28] | That apparently, no one knew. | 很明显 他们各个都不知情 |
[32:32] | And that… | 还有 |
[32:33] | I was gonna have to live the rest of my life | 我人生中剩下的日子就会永远活在 |
[32:36] | knowing one day I had a child, and then the next day I didn’t, | 昨天有儿子 今天儿子已经不再的事实中 |
[32:39] | but I would never know why. | 而却永远无法得到事实真相 |
[32:42] | And then? | 之后呢 |
[32:44] | And then it-it started to seem like… | 之后我认为也许 |
[32:47] | maybe somebody did know. | 确实有人是知情的 |
[32:49] | Like, maybe there actually | 而且也许 |
[32:51] | had been people there. Like, a lot of people. | 很多人都知道真相 |
[32:54] | And so, I wondered who made the choices. | 所以 我希望知道是谁下决定的 |
[32:58] | I mean, did they all | 我是说 是不是所有人 |
[33:00] | just say, “Let’s… | 都决定”我们 |
[33:02] | go and get the pledges drunk”? | 一起去灌醉新成员吧” |
[33:05] | Did they all just decide, “Hey, let’s | 是不是所有人都同意 |
[33:08] | throw him in the river,” even though | “咱们把这家伙扔进河” |
[33:10] | they’re so drunk they can’t see straight? | 尽管他已经醉的不省人事了 |
[33:12] | And then I gue… | 然后我猜 |
[33:15] | I guess… when Sam drowned… | 我猜山姆淹死的时候 |
[33:20] | …did they all… decide, | 是不是所有人都决定 |
[33:25] | “Let’s just not… call anybody. | “我们就让他在这沉着 |
[33:29] | “Let’s… go home. | 我们回家 |
[33:34] | Let’s just get some sleep”? | 好好睡一觉” |
[33:36] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官阁下 |
[33:39] | I don’t mean any disrespect, | 我没有不敬的意思 |
[33:40] | but I would be derelict in my duties | 但如果我不反对一切 |
[33:42] | if I did not object to all this testimony | 没有相关性的证词的话 |
[33:44] | based on relevance. | 那我就是玩忽职守了 |
[33:48] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[33:49] | You’re right. | 你说的没错 |
[33:52] | The jury will please disregard everything they just heard. | 陪审团有权选择是否听取证词 |
[33:55] | Right. Just go ahead and unhear that. | 好吧 那你们继续 忽视吧 |
[33:59] | Let’s take a one hour recess, | 现在休庭一小时 |
[34:01] | and counsel and I will meet in my chambers | 律师来我的会议室见面 |
[34:03] | to determine next steps. | 商讨下一步怎么办 |
[34:09] | Earth to Marissa. Talk to me. | 呼叫 米莉莎 汇报情况 |
[34:13] | Uh, well, the jurors were clearly moved. | 很显然 陪审团受到了触动 |
[34:16] | Enough to convict? | 足以做出决定了吗 |
[34:17] | Yeah, not quite. | 还不够 |
[34:18] | Eight are green, and four are still red. | 有八个现在是绿色 另外四个红色 |
[34:22] | What’s your next move? | 你下一步怎么办 |
[34:24] | Well, I’m probably gonna do what most great men do | 一般伟大的人物面临苦难时怎么办 |
[34:26] | when confronted with a situation like this. | 我下一步可能就怎么办 |
[34:28] | Yeah. What’s that? | 好吧 那你怎么办 |
[34:29] | – Lie. – Excuse me? | – 撒谎 – 什么 |
[34:31] | I’ll tell you all about it tonight | 我今晚跟你详细说 |
[34:32] | when I get back to the office. | 等我回办公室 |
[34:34] | Oh, and do me a favor. 20 minutes from now, | 还有 帮我个忙 二十分钟后 |
[34:36] | will you please text Benny? | 帮我给本尼发个信息 |
[34:38] | – Uh, text Benny what? – Doesn’t matter. | – 发什么 – 无所谓 |
[34:40] | Just text him. | 发就行了 |
[34:41] | Come on. Let’s find Richmond Abernathy | 走吧 我们去找里蒙德·阿伯纳西 |
[34:44] | and see if we can convince him to tell a couple of good lies, | 看能不能说服他说几个善意的谎言 |
[34:47] | or at the very least, let us tell them | 或者至少让我们来说 |
[34:49] | without him blowing our cover. | 别让他露馅了 |
[34:52] | Our algorithm’s never wrong. | 我们的算法从来不会错 |
[34:54] | Rebecca’s testimony turned every single juror. | 瑞贝卡的证词触动了所有陪审员 |
[34:58] | 14 boys, 14 convictions. | 十四个男孩 十四宗罪 |
[35:01] | And you know Judge Hanlon. | 而且你知道汉隆法官 |
[35:03] | It’s not gonna be picking up trash | 你不会最终落得个 |
[35:05] | on the side of the road. Mm-mm. | 路边捡垃圾的下场 |
[35:07] | You’re going to prison. | 你是要进监狱的 |
[35:08] | Logan, jury wants to hear from you. | 洛根 陪审团想听你的证词 |
[35:11] | This is nonsense. | 这真是荒唐 |
[35:13] | You can’t get a conviction based on a bunch of stares. | 你不可能因为这些原因就定罪 |
[35:16] | You’re really willing to take all your friends down with you? | 你真的愿意把你所有朋友都拉下水吗 |
[35:21] | Oh. Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[35:25] | It’s one of the lawyers. | 是其中一位律师 |
[35:27] | Somebody wants to make a deal. | 有人想做交易 |
[35:29] | Should I step outside and call him back? | 我出去回个电话吧 |
[35:31] | One of the other lawyers? Someone on my team? | 其中一位律师 我团队里的吗 |
[35:34] | Let me see the phone. | 让我看看你的手机 |
[35:35] | – Not gonna show you my phone. – Why? | – 我是不会让你看的 – 为什么 |
[35:37] | ‘Cause there’s no such text? Come on. | 因为就没有这短信吗 行了吧 |
[35:38] | Let me see it, big shot! | 让我看看 |
[35:39] | – Hey, get your hands off me! – Gentlemen! | – 你别碰我 – 各位 |
[35:41] | Quiet! | 别吵了 |
[35:47] | I just got two voice mails from parents | 我刚刚收到几对父母的语音信息 |
[35:49] | who are willing to allow their sons to testify | 他们允许自己的儿子们出来指证 |
[35:51] | in exchange for immunity. | 获得豁免 |
[35:55] | With all due respect, | 恕我直言 |
[35:56] | Mr. Assistant District Attorney, would it be possible | 地区助理检察官先生 |
[35:58] | for me to hear those voice mails? | 能不能让我也听听这消息呢 |
[36:00] | I’m an officer of the court for the State of New York. | 我是纽约州法庭的一位官员 |
[36:05] | Are you suggesting that I’m a liar? | 你现在是在说我就是个骗子吗 |
[36:09] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[36:10] | Go and make imaginary deals | 那就继续和你想象中的律师 |
[36:12] | with imaginary lawyers and imaginary parents. | 和父母做不存在的交易吧 |
[36:15] | We’re done here. | 我们没什么可谈的了 |
[36:16] | Being pretty cavalier with your client’s future. You’re going | 你可真是对你委托人的未来够支持啊 |
[36:19] | home to bed tonight. | 今晚能睡个踏实觉了 |
[36:20] | He and all of his friends are gonna do 15 years. | 他和他朋友们就要蹲15年的大牢了 |
[36:23] | 15 years? Really? | 十五年 真的吗 |
[36:25] | That’s the sentence for manslaughter. | 那是过失杀人的判刑 |
[36:26] | That’s the maximum. No one gets the maximum. | 那是最高刑罚 没人会被判最高的 |
[36:28] | They do in Judge Hanlon’s | 在汉隆法官手下 |
[36:29] | – courtroom. – And that’s before I indict you | – 就有可能 – 那还是在我举报你 |
[36:31] | for obstruction of justice. | 妨碍司法公正之前 |
[36:33] | That’s good for another, well, ten years. | 那10年的判刑也不轻 |
[36:34] | No. No, I’m-I’m not going to prison for 25 years. | 不 不 我不会坐25年牢的 |
[36:38] | Then let me help you. | 那就让我帮你 |
[36:39] | Agree to testify, and let that jury | 同意作证 让陪审团 |
[36:42] | and that grieving mother know what really happened that night. | 以及那位心痛的母亲知道事实真相 |
[36:46] | And then I will go to the judge, | 然后我就去找法官 |
[36:47] | and I will use every bit of influence I have | 我会动用我所有的关系 |
[36:50] | to get her to go easy on you. | 让她对你从轻审判 |
[36:51] | You just said Judge Hanlon doesn’t go easy on anyone. | 你刚刚才说过汉隆法官不会对任何人手软 |
[36:54] | This is a business of favors, | 这是商业互助 |
[36:57] | and I’ve done a ton of ’em. | 我之前做过无数次了 |
[37:00] | I guess it’s time to collect. | 我看时间到了 |
[37:02] | What do you say? | 你有什么要说的吗 |
[37:04] | When I was a kid, my grandpa would talk about World War II. | 我小时候 我外婆会跟我讲二战的事情 |
[37:08] | But my dad and my older brothers… | 但是我爸爸和我哥哥 |
[37:12] | they’d talk about Hell Night, about pledging, | 他们会跟我讲万圣节前夜 还有入会的事 |
[37:17] | about how surviving that ordeal made you a man, | 以及历经磨难成长为一个男人 |
[37:19] | and introduced you to the people | 以及把你介绍给别人 |
[37:20] | that would stay your friends for the rest of your life. | 然后成为一辈子的朋友 |
[37:26] | We all really liked Sam. | 我们都很喜欢山姆 |
[37:29] | That’s why we asked him to be one of us. | 所以我们才希望他能成为我们的一员 |
[37:32] | Nobody expected him to die. | 没人想让他死 |
[37:35] | Who bought the alcohol? | 谁买的酒 |
[37:37] | I did. | 是我 |
[37:39] | Uh, the fraternity, but we used my I.D. | 是兄弟会 只不过用的我的身份证 |
[37:42] | And who ordered the defendants to drink? | 那是谁让原告喝的酒 |
[37:44] | Me, but, I mean, we all did. | 是我 我是说 我们都这么做了 |
[37:46] | It-It’s kind of what you do. | 兄弟会都这样 |
[37:48] | And who marched him down to the dock? | 谁拉他去码头的 |
[37:52] | That was me. | 是我 |
[37:54] | I had the megaphone, | 喇叭是我拿的 |
[37:56] | and I was the one who pushed Sam into the water. | 也是我推山姆下水的 |
[38:01] | And how long did you keep them there? | 你们在那待了多久 |
[38:03] | I don’t know. Maybe an hour. | 不知道 可能一个小时吧 |
[38:06] | Uh, we were drinking and shouting | 我们当时喝着酒大喊大叫 |
[38:08] | and having a great time, and then, | 当时很开心 然后 |
[38:12] | Carter… he was treading water… | 卡特当时在踩水 |
[38:15] | started to say he couldn’t see Sam anymore, so… | 他说看不见山姆了 所以 |
[38:20] | we started calling his name, | 我们开始喊他的名字找他 |
[38:22] | uh, diving into the water to try and find him, but… | 想潜水找到他 但是 |
[38:26] | you couldn’t see anything. It… | 什么也看不见 |
[38:29] | It was black… | 当时一片漆黑 |
[38:31] | …so we just kept calling his name. | 所以我们不断的叫他名字 |
[38:34] | Sam! | 山姆 |
[38:37] | Sam! Sam! Sam! | 山姆 山姆 山姆 |
[38:43] | And then, it kind of got quiet. | 然后 大家都安静了 |
[38:47] | We stopped calling his name. | 我们不再叫他的名字 |
[38:50] | I-I guess we just realized | 我想我是觉得 |
[38:51] | that he wasn’t there. | 他当时不在了 |
[38:54] | And then, | 然后 |
[38:55] | I said, um… I said this thing. | 我说 |
[39:01] | I said… | 我说 |
[39:03] | “Well, maybe he just went back to the house.” | 也许他已经回去了 |
[39:10] | I don’t know where it came from, | 我也不知道我为什么这么说 |
[39:13] | and I wish I had never said it. | 我希望我从没说过这句话 |
[39:16] | It was just kind of… | 这就是 |
[39:19] | You could tell that… | 我能看出来 |
[39:22] | The second they heard it, it was what everyone wanted to hear. | 他们听见这句话的时候 都如释重负 |
[39:27] | We were drunk and stupid, and we didn’t | 我们当时喝的大醉 开始干傻事 |
[39:32] | even think to call the police. | 我们都没想到要报警 |
[39:37] | Nobody said a word on the walk home, | 回去的路上没人说话 |
[39:39] | but I think we all realized that there was a really good chance | 我想大家都意识到了 |
[39:42] | that our lives were gonna be very different now. | 我们的人生从此会改变轨道 |
[39:47] | And what happened when you got back home, | 你们回家当时他不在 |
[39:49] | and he wasn’t there? | 又发生了什么 |
[39:51] | Didn’t anyone suggest calling the authorities? | 有人提议打电话找人帮忙吗 |
[39:53] | Everybody was really drunk | 所有人都喝的很醉 |
[39:55] | and really scared. | 也很害怕 |
[39:59] | Everyone just… | 每个人都 |
[40:01] | went to their rooms and either passed out or prayed | 各自回了房间 不然就是昏睡了 |
[40:02] | that he’d show up the next morning, and when he didn’t… | 不然就是在祈祷他第二天会出现 但是他没有 |
[40:06] | …we made a promise to each other | 我们做了约定 |
[40:09] | that we would not talk about what had happened. | 不会讨论当晚发生了什么 |
[40:11] | Not to our lawyers. | 不告诉律师 |
[40:15] | Not even to our parents. | 不告诉父母 |
[40:17] | And whose idea was that? | 这是谁的主意 |
[40:21] | That was me. | 是我 |
[40:28] | I’m truly sorry. | 我真的很抱歉 |
[40:37] | You’ve been convicted of manslaughter | 你被指控过失杀人 |
[40:39] | in a sad and senseless death. | 导致了一桩悲伤又愚蠢的死亡 |
[40:41] | A young man full of life and promise is gone. | 一个前途无量的年轻人离去了 |
[40:45] | And you had the power to stop it. | 你本有力量阻止这一切的发生 |
[40:47] | But instead, you chose to indulge | 但是相反 你却选择视而不见 |
[40:50] | and encourage yourself and others | 鼓动自己和他人 |
[40:52] | in reckless and wanton behavior. | 做出不计后果与恶劣的行为 |
[40:55] | I’m taking into account that | 我会考虑 |
[40:57] | you admitted to your role in the incident | 你在这次事故中主动坦白 |
[40:59] | and took responsibility for the effect | 为此承担责任 |
[41:01] | of your behavior on others. | 对你与他人的后果负责 |
[41:04] | And I will note that Dr. Bull, a member of the opposing team, | 我会考虑布尔博士作为对方团队一员 |
[41:08] | has spoken up on your behalf, which is a rare occurrence. | 也为你求情 这实属罕见 |
[41:14] | I’m not one to reward bad behavior, | 我并不是鼓励你这样的恶劣行为 |
[41:18] | but in this case, I’m going to make an exception. | 但是在本案中 我会网开一面 |
[41:21] | I hereby sentence you to serve two years in state prison. | 因此我宣判你将接受州立监狱两年服刑 |
[41:33] | Not so fast. | 先等等 |
[41:37] | Sit down, please. | 各位请坐 |
[41:41] | The rest of you bare a certain degree of culpability, as well. | 其余各位也有一定程度的犯罪 |
[41:45] | I’m sentencing each of you | 我宣判你们每一位 |
[41:47] | to 500 hours of community service. | 进行500小时的社区服务 |
[41:54] | She took your suggestion. | 她接受了你的建议 |
[42:01] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[42:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[42:07] | You kept your promise. | 您实现了承诺 |
[42:09] | I had a lot of help. | 我有不少帮手 |
[42:18] | Marissa? | 米莉莎 |
[42:22] | Marissa? | 米莉莎 |
[42:26] | I know you’re dying to hear. | 我知道你已经急得不行了 |
[42:28] | Have I got a story for you. | 我这就给你讲讲结果 |
[42:40] | Mariss? | 米莉莎 |