时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:41] | Don’t move. | 不许动 |
[00:42] | Wait. Wait. | 等等 等等 |
[00:44] | – Stop moving. – Wait. | – 别动了 – 等等 |
[00:58] | You’re serious? | 你在开玩笑吗 |
[01:00] | You’re going to allow them to walk me out of my own home | 你要让他们把我从自己家中带走 |
[01:03] | in handcuffs like a common criminal? | 还像个犯人一样戴着手铐 |
[01:06] | I am a Lexington. | 我是列克星敦家的人 |
[01:08] | My late father-in-law | 我去世的公公 |
[01:09] | was a state senator. | 生前是州参议员 |
[01:11] | His father was governor. | 他的父亲是州长 |
[01:14] | And there’s no one that you can call? | 你就找不到一个能帮忙的人 |
[01:16] | Nothing that you can do? | 什么都做不了 |
[01:17] | You’re his spouse, Mrs. Lexington, | 您是他的配偶 列克星敦夫人 |
[01:19] | and the spouse is almost always considered a suspect. | 而配偶总是会被列为嫌犯 |
[01:23] | Now, I presume their theory | 我现在假定他们的犯罪理论成立 |
[01:26] | of the crime is that you somehow tried to make it | 也就是你试图以某种方式让这看起来 |
[01:29] | look like it was a break-in in order to cover your tracks. | 就像是个强行入室的事件来掩盖你的罪行 |
[01:32] | Now, I will try to get them | 现在 我会尽力让他们 |
[01:34] | to forgo the handcuffs until they have you in the car, | 等到你上车了再使用手铐 |
[01:38] | but the truth is the sooner that they get you to the precinct, | 但事实是他们越早把你带到警局 |
[01:41] | the sooner they book you, | 就越早立案 |
[01:43] | and the sooner we get to court; and that’s what we want. | 然后我们就越早上庭 这正合我们的意 |
[01:46] | We will plead innocent, I will post bail, | 我们会做无罪辩护 我会保释你 |
[01:49] | and hopefully I’ll have you back here by this afternoon. | 希望今天下午就能让你回家 |
[01:58] | Mrs. Lexington! | 列克星敦夫人 |
[01:59] | Did you kill your husband? | 你杀了你的丈夫吗 |
[02:01] | What evidence does the police have against you? | 警察有什么对你不利的证据 |
[02:04] | Mrs. Lexington! Are the rumors true? | 列克星敦夫人 传言是真的吗 |
[02:06] | Anyone who follows the Lexington family | 任何有关注列克星敦家族的人 |
[02:09] | knows that Rebecca Lexington | 都知道丽贝卡·列克星敦 |
[02:10] | is a devoted wife and mother. | 是个忠诚的妻子和母亲 |
[02:13] | The idea that she would just | 她怎么可能 |
[02:16] | suddenly decide to kill her husband? | 突然决定要杀了她丈夫 |
[02:20] | Oh, please. Can we at least be honest with each other? | 拜托 我们俩之间就开门见山吧 |
[02:22] | Those who’ve had the misfortune of dealing with Mrs. Lexington | 那些不幸和列克星敦夫人打过交道的人 |
[02:25] | have nothing nice to say. | 对她的评价可不怎么样 |
[02:26] | And I can tell you, finding jurors | 而且我能告诉你 要找到 |
[02:29] | who haven’t already made up their mind about your client, | 对你的客户没有成见的陪审员 |
[02:32] | that is gonna be a Herculean task. | 可是个艰巨的任务 |
[02:34] | Would it make this any more interesting to you | 如果我告诉你她是无罪的 |
[02:36] | if I told you she was innocent? | 你会更感兴趣吗 |
[02:38] | You’re sure about that? | 你确定吗 |
[02:40] | she was with her daughter | 谋杀发生的当天晚上 |
[02:42] | in the city the night of the murder. | 她跟女儿一起在城里 |
[02:43] | Could never have made it back in time. | 不可能及时赶回来的 |
[02:45] | So if the wife didn’t do it, who did? | 所以如果不是妻子杀的 那是谁呢 |
[02:47] | This thief, this robber. | 小偷 强盗 |
[02:49] | And this particular thief decided to pick | 而这个讲究的小偷挑了 |
[02:51] | the most high-profile family in the neighborhood to rob. | 这片社区最受瞩目的一家去抢 |
[02:55] | Why not? He made out very well… four watches | 有何不可 他收获颇丰…四个手表 |
[02:58] | – worth over $200,000. – That’s chump change. | – 价值二十多万美金 – 那只是小钱 |
[03:00] | Come on, | 得了吧 |
[03:00] | no art, no electronics, no jewelry? | 不拿艺术品 不拿电子设备 不拿珠宝 |
[03:03] | What, he just decided to leave that stuff behind? | 怎么 这些东西他都不打算拿了吗 |
[03:05] | The jewelry and the valuables were locked in the safe. | 珠宝和其他贵重物品锁在保险箱里 |
[03:08] | And it’s not exactly easy to run through the woods | 而且背着一幅蒙德里安的画作 |
[03:10] | with a Mondrian strapped to your back. | 也不方便穿过树林 |
[03:13] | So, one more thing for you to chew on. | 还有件事你需要仔细想想 |
[03:15] | Rebecca has never owned a gun. | 丽贝卡一直没有枪 |
[03:17] | And as far as we can tell, she’s never even fired a gun. | 而且据我们所知 她甚至从未开过枪 |
[03:20] | Her husband was killed by a single bullet to the head. | 她丈夫因头部中了一颗子弹而死 |
[03:24] | Dead center. Kill shot. | 正中央 一击即中 |
[03:26] | Jason. | 杰森 |
[03:28] | Don’t be a fool. | 别犯傻 |
[03:29] | This is the case that we’ve all dreamed of, you know? | 这可是我们梦寐以求的案子 |
[03:32] | Wealthy family, worldwide attention. | 富豪之家 举世瞩目 |
[03:36] | It’s the opportunity of a lifetime. | 一辈子就这一次机会 |
[03:38] | Don’t say no. | 不要拒绝 |
[03:45] | It’s… it’s good. | 挺好的 |
[03:48] | It is, right? | 可不是吗 |
[03:49] | I mean, nobody’s looking at that paper and says, | 没有人看了后会说 |
[03:51] | “Eh, it’s a ‘C.'” | “顶多七十几分吧” |
[03:54] | not me, but I’m not your professor. | 我也不会 但我不是你的教授 |
[03:57] | I’m not the one handing out the grades. | 我不是打分的人 |
[03:59] | But still, no matter what your prejudices might be, | 但是 无论你的偏见如何 |
[04:02] | no matter how much you might dislike | 无论你多讨厌 |
[04:04] | tall, good-looking, impeccably dressed men, | 高大 帅气 穿着无可挑剔的男人 |
[04:07] | that’s an “A.” | 那都有九十分以上 |
[04:09] | Come on, man, what? | 得了吧 老兄 |
[04:10] | How long have you been in school? | 你在学校待了多久 |
[04:12] | Two weeks? It’s a little early | 有两周吗 现在就下结论 |
[04:15] | to jump to conclusions, don’t you think? | 有点太早了 不是吗 |
[04:16] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[04:18] | I-I can feel it with this guy. He’s got it in for me. | 我从这个人身上能感觉到 他想让我难堪 |
[04:21] | Mm, even if he does, | 就算他确实如此 |
[04:22] | it’s just one class, one professor. | 这也只是一节课 一个教授 |
[04:26] | Even if it is a “C.” | 就算这只有七十几分 |
[04:28] | It’s not right. | 这样做是不对的 |
[04:31] | You know, when I was in law school, | 我在法学院的时候 |
[04:34] | I had this professor, right? Guy hated me. | 有一个教授 他很讨厌我 |
[04:38] | He was, like, a hundred years old, and all he saw | 他差不多快一百岁了吧 他只觉得 |
[04:41] | was this pugnacious Puerto Rican kid | 我是一个好斗的波多黎各小子 |
[04:43] | with long hair and lots of attitude. | 留着长头发 愤世嫉俗 |
[04:46] | Did everything he could to let me know | 他用尽所有办法来告诉我 |
[04:48] | that there was no place for me in the legal profession. | 我在法律专业没有容身之处 |
[04:51] | So what happened? | 后来呢 |
[04:52] | I’m here and he’s dead. | 我站在这里而他已经死了 |
[04:55] | All right? So don’t worry. | 好吗 所以不用担心 |
[04:57] | This, too, will pass. | 这个也一样 会过去的 |
[04:59] | Hey. Big guy’s back | 老板 |
[05:00] | from Connecticut. | 从康涅狄格州回来了 |
[05:05] | We are helping to defend Rebecca Lexington? | 我们要为丽贝卡·列克星敦辩护 |
[05:07] | The Witch of Wealth? The Bitch of Greenwich? | 那个有钱的老巫婆 那个格林威治镇的泼妇 |
[05:10] | She said to say hello, by the way. | 她向你问好 顺便一提 |
[05:11] | Had nothing but great things to say about you. | 谈起你时全是赞美之词 |
[05:13] | Yes! | 没错 |
[05:15] | We’re taking a high-profile case | 我们会从一个有钱客户那里 |
[05:16] | for a wealthy client | 接下一个备受瞩目的案子 |
[05:17] | simply because they asked | 只是因为他们要求辩护 |
[05:19] | and can afford to pay for our services. | 并且能够付得起我们的服务费用 |
[05:21] | Send it to Ripley; he wouldn’t believe it. | 告诉雷普利 他肯定不敢相信 |
[05:23] | Yeah, but doesn’t everybody kind of already know | 不是每个人都已经知道 |
[05:25] | that she did it? | 是她做的了吗 |
[05:27] | Mm, everybody thinks they know she did it. | 每个人都以为他们知道凶手是她 |
[05:31] | So, what else is new? | 所以 这也不是什么新鲜事了 |
[05:33] | Notwithstanding her terrible public image, | 尽管她的公众形象很糟糕 |
[05:35] | the woman has neither the means nor the motive | 这个女人既没有犯罪手段也没有动机 |
[05:38] | to do what she has been accused of. | 来实施她被指控的罪行 |
[05:40] | She insists she is innocent, and I, for one, | 她坚持自己是清白的 而我 |
[05:42] | have no reason to doubt her. | 没理由去怀疑她 |
[05:44] | Oh, yes, uh, | 好的 |
[05:46] | lady in the back who clearly needs a throat lozenge? | 后面这位明显需要一片润喉糖的女士 |
[05:51] | I’ve walked hundreds of crime scenes, | 我见过几百个犯罪现场 |
[05:53] | and on this one, I am inclined to agree with the police. | 就这个而言 我倾向于警察这一边 |
[05:57] | The broken glass pane on the French doors… | 落地窗上的碎玻璃… |
[05:59] | a professional would never pick | 老手肯定不会选 |
[06:00] | such a loud and obvious entry point. | 这样一个动静大又明显的进入点 |
[06:03] | And from what I’ve read, | 就我所看到的 |
[06:04] | only the husband’s belongings were taken. | 失窃的只有丈夫的财物 |
[06:07] | It all points to a staged scene. | 这一切就像演出来的 |
[06:10] | And a staged scene | 而如果是演出来的 |
[06:11] | kind of brings you back to the wife. | 犯罪嫌疑就回到了妻子身上 |
[06:13] | Eh, maybe it does, maybe it doesn’t. | 可能是 可能不是 |
[06:15] | Benny, | 本尼 |
[06:16] | you and I should start | 你和我应该开始 |
[06:17] | zeroing in on voir dire strategy. | 专注于陪审员筛选策略 |
[06:19] | Ah, voir dire, absolutely. | 陪审员筛选 当然了 |
[06:21] | Raise your hand if you already dislike Rebecca Lexington. | 讨厌丽贝卡·列克星敦的人请举手 |
[06:24] | Well, I like that. Subtle, kind of stealth. | 这个问题不错 微妙中带点含蓄 |
[06:26] | In general, what are your feelings | 一般来说 你对脾气大的 |
[06:28] | towards rich white people with an attitude? | 富裕白人感觉如何 |
[06:30] | People ask, “What’s it like | 人们问道 “和本杰明·科隆 |
[06:32] | working with that Benjamin Colón?” | 一起工作是什么样的” |
[06:37] | Talk to me. | 说吧 |
[06:38] | You familiar with a Kendall Tyler? | 你认识一个叫肯德尔·泰勒的人吗 |
[06:41] | Rings a bell, just not a very loud one. | 听着有印象 但不太记得了 |
[06:43] | Esteemed biographer, | 一个深受尊敬的传记作家 |
[06:45] | especially of all things Lexington. | 尤其了解关于列克星敦家族的一切 |
[06:47] | She’s written about the family for the last decade. | 她过去十年都在写这个家族 |
[06:49] | Won a lot of prizes for it. I’ve read her. She’s good. | 为此获了不少奖 我读过她的书 她很棒 |
[06:53] | She’s also outside; she’d like to see you. | 她就在外面 她想见你 |
[06:55] | Well, let’s bring her in here. | 那请她进来吧 |
[06:59] | Kendall Tyler, Dr. Jason Bull. | 肯德尔·泰勒 杰森·布尔博士 |
[07:01] | I’ll be right outside if you need me. | 我就在外面 有事叫我 |
[07:03] | Nice to meet you, Ms. Tyler. | 很高兴见到你 泰勒女士 |
[07:06] | To what do I owe the pleasure? | 您因何大驾光临呢 |
[07:08] | A little birdie told me | 有传闻说 |
[07:10] | that you joined Rebecca Lexington’s legal team today. | 你今天加入了丽贝卡·列克星敦的法律团队 |
[07:14] | I make it a point never to listen to anything with wings | 我一直都努力不听信流言 |
[07:18] | or… more than two legs. | 或是…任何没有亲眼所见的事 |
[07:20] | But that’s just me. | 不过也就只有我 |
[07:24] | Well, let’s just assume it’s true. | 假设我所说的是真的 |
[07:26] | I have information that may just help you… | 我刚好有能帮到你的信息 |
[07:28] | information that could… exonerate your client. | 能使你的客户免罪的信息 |
[07:33] | But there are conditions. | 但是有条件 |
[07:36] | lead attorney on this case | 这个案子的首席律师 |
[07:38] | doesn’t work for me, I work for him. | 不是我的员工 我为他工作 |
[07:40] | And so if you have some kind of proposition in mind… | 所以如果你有一些建议… |
[07:43] | Oh, I’m very familiar with Mr. Bedford. | 我很熟悉贝德福德先生 |
[07:45] | And he is very familiar with me. | 他对我也相当熟悉 |
[07:48] | I wrote a book three years ago | 我三年前写了本书 |
[07:49] | in which he plays a significant role. | 他在书里是个重要角色 |
[07:51] | I don’t think he found my portrayal accurate | 他应该不会觉得我的描述很精确 |
[07:54] | or… particularly flattering. | 或…特别讨好 |
[07:57] | And I doubt Mrs. Lexington’s a fan, either. | 而且列克星敦夫人应该也不喜欢 |
[08:00] | Got it. | 明白了 |
[08:01] | So what are you looking for? | 所以你想要什么呢 |
[08:03] | What am I trading for whatever’s in that folder? | 我要用什么和那个文件夹里的东西交换呢 |
[08:06] | Access… and I mean to everything. | 参与权…我是说对一切的参与权 |
[08:08] | Client meetings, strategy sessions, | 客户会见 策略会议 |
[08:10] | prison visits, if it comes to that. | 访问监狱 如果到那一步的话 |
[08:12] | I want to write the definitive book, | 我想写最后一本书 |
[08:14] | and with that kind of access… | 有了这些参与权… |
[08:15] | You’ll have publishing houses fighting over it. I get it. | 出版社会抢着要你的书 我懂了 |
[08:17] | But, as I already indicated, | 不过 像我已经说过的 |
[08:19] | Bedford is the captain of this particular team, | 贝德福德是这个特组团队的队长 |
[08:22] | and if he doesn’t like you… | 如果他不喜欢你… |
[08:24] | I’m counting on you to convince him. | 我就靠你来说服他了 |
[08:27] | And Mrs. Lexington. | 还有列克星敦夫人 |
[08:29] | And anyone else necessary. | 和其他必要的人 |
[08:33] | All right, let me say this back to you, | 好吧 让我们回到你的话题 |
[08:35] | see if I understand it. | 看我理解得对不对 |
[08:36] | You supposedly have information that will prove my client | 你声称有能证明我的客户 |
[08:39] | did not commit the crime of which she is accused, | 没有犯下被控罪行的信息 |
[08:41] | and you are completely comfortable | 而且你很乐意 |
[08:43] | not providing this information and allowing her to spend | 不提供这个信息 眼睁睁看着她 |
[08:46] | the rest of her life in prison, unless you get what you want. | 在监狱里度过余生 除非你得到你想要的 |
[08:49] | Have I got that right? | 我说对了吗 |
[08:51] | No. | 不对 |
[08:52] | You and your colleagues have been offered | 有人曾向你和你的同事提供了 |
[08:54] | potential intelligence that could be the key | 能让你的委托人无罪释放的 |
[08:56] | to your client’s freedom, and you’re unwilling | 关键情报 而你们却不愿 |
[08:58] | to do what’s necessary to get it | 去做应做之事来获得情报 |
[09:00] | and keep her from being in prison for the rest of her life. | 来让她的余生免受牢狱之灾 |
[09:05] | I believe that’s a more accurate portrayal | 我觉得这才是对于目前情况的 |
[09:07] | of what’s going on here. | 更准确的说法 |
[09:08] | – Okay. – Think about it. | – 好的 – 好好想想 |
[09:10] | I left my number with the nice lady outside. | 我留了我的号码给外面那位友好的女士 |
[09:16] | I wouldn’t wait by the phone. | 我不会守在手机旁边等着的 |
[09:32] | Trial by social media… that’s really | 社交媒体的审判 那才是 |
[09:33] | what we’re talking about here. | 我们正在讨论的 |
[09:34] | Everyone in America | 在美国 每个人 |
[09:36] | has been weighing in on Rebecca Lexington’s guilt. | 都在争论丽贝卡·列克星敦是否有罪 |
[09:39] | In the last 48 hours, | 在过去的四十八小时里 |
[09:40] | her name alone has generated | 光是她的名字就已经有 |
[09:42] | – over three million hits. – 3.8. | – 三百多万的点击量 – 三百八十万 |
[09:44] | Each one of those hits represents | 每一个点击都恰好代表了 |
[09:46] | exactly the kind of juror the other side wants. | 控方想要的陪审员的类型 |
[09:49] | The type of person | 这类人 |
[09:51] | who will happily buy into this tabloid narrative | 非常乐意相信八卦小报所说的 |
[09:53] | of a fairy-tale marriage on the rocks, | 一场岌岌可危的童话故事婚姻 |
[09:56] | a scheming wife, a faked crime scene. | 一个狡猾的妻子 一个假造的犯罪现场 |
[09:58] | Sensationalists, fantasists. | 感觉论者 幻想家 |
[10:00] | People susceptible to drama and scandal. | 对戏剧和绯闻容易受影响的人 |
[10:02] | And they are gonna make up the vast majority | 而他们将占据大部分的 |
[10:05] | of our jury pool. | 陪审团候选人 |
[10:06] | Look, Rebecca Lexington is not a bad person. | 听着 丽贝卡·列克星敦不是个坏人 |
[10:09] | She married into the family | 她嫁入了一个 |
[10:11] | hoping she was going to be their Princess Diana. | 期望她成为戴安娜王妃的家族 |
[10:14] | Instead, she got cast as their Camilla. | 然而 她成为了他们的卡米拉 |
[10:16] | The question is, what do we do now? | 问题是 我们现在该怎么做 |
[10:21] | Ever heard of Occam’s razor? | 听过奥卡姆剃刀定律吗 |
[10:22] | The idea that if there are two explanations for something, | 主张是 如果一件事有两种解释 |
[10:26] | the simpler explanation is usually the correct one. | 更简单的解释永远是对的那个 |
[10:30] | Another way of saying it is, the more assumptions | 换种说法 你要为一个推论编造 |
[10:32] | you have to make for a theory to make sense, | 越多的假设来让其讲得通 |
[10:35] | the more unlikely that theory is. | 那这个推论就越不可能成立 |
[10:36] | We need jurors | 我们需要 |
[10:37] | who subscribe to the former | 能对前者认同 |
[10:39] | and are suspicious of the latter. | 而对后者报以怀疑态度的陪审员 |
[10:41] | Wouldn’t you know it, | 你们知道吗 |
[10:43] | I go out to my car today, tire’s flat. | 我今天去开我车的时候 轮胎被扎了 |
[10:46] | I have no idea how that happened. | 我根本不知道怎么会发生这种事 |
[10:49] | Anyone want to hazard a guess? | 有人愿意猜一猜吗 |
[10:51] | You’re a famous attorney. | 你是个有名的律师 |
[10:53] | Probably made a lot of enemies over the years. | 多年来 可能累积了不少敌人 |
[10:57] | Maybe one of them slashed it. | 可能其中一个扎了你的轮胎 |
[11:02] | Your Honor, we move to strike this juror. | 法官大人 我们要移除这位陪审员 |
[11:05] | How about you? | 你呢 |
[11:06] | What’s your theory? | 你的推测是什么 |
[11:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[11:09] | I-I’m thinking you probably just ran over a nail. | 我认为你可能碾过钉子了 |
[11:12] | You know, I’m thinking the same thing. | 你知道吗 我也是这样想的 |
[11:16] | Your Honor, this juror is acceptable. | 法官大人 这位陪审员可以留下 |
[11:18] | What we want is a juror who’s gonna ask him or herself, | 我们想要的陪审员 是能问自己 |
[11:21] | “Is it more likely that Rebecca Lexington | “丽贝卡·列克星敦是否有可能 |
[11:24] | drove 35 miles home to Greenwich | 在吃了顿较早的晚饭后 |
[11:27] | after an early dinner, executed her beloved husband | 从家里开了三十五英里到格林威治 |
[11:29] | of 20 years with a single shot to the head, | 一枪爆头 杀害了她相爱了二十年的丈夫 |
[11:32] | staged a crime scene to look like a break-in, | 伪造了一个看上去像是强行入室的犯罪现场 |
[11:34] | and then somehow disposed of the gun | 然后以某种方法处理了 |
[11:36] | in a place the police could never find, all before | 警察永远都没办法找到的枪 而这些 |
[11:39] | the police responded to the burglary?” | 都在警方出警之前完成” |
[11:41] | Our ideal juror is gonna like things clean, | 我们理想的陪审员是喜欢清晰 |
[11:44] | straightforward and uncomplicated. | 直接 不复杂的事物 |
[11:48] | What’s your favorite movie? | 你最喜欢的电影是什么 |
[11:50] | Anything by Christopher Nolan. | 克里斯托弗·诺兰导演的任何电影 |
[11:52] | Oh, yeah, he’s great. | 是的 他很棒 |
[11:55] | Your Honor, we move to strike | 法官大人 我们要求移除 |
[11:57] | both of these jurors. | 这两位陪审员 |
[11:59] | And how about you, miss? | 你呢 女士 |
[12:01] | Me? Oh. | 我吗 |
[12:03] | I like horror movies and also comedy. | 我喜欢恐怖片也喜欢喜剧 |
[12:06] | Oh, Adam Sandler… he makes me laugh. | 亚当·桑德勒 他总能让我发笑 |
[12:11] | This juror is acceptable. | 这位陪审员可以留下 |
[12:13] | We have our jury. | 我们有陪审团了 |
[12:14] | Trial will begin day after tomorrow. | 审判会从后天开始 |
[12:17] | How’d we do? | 我们的情况如何 |
[12:18] | We… did okay. | 我们 还可以吧 |
[12:21] | Four jurors… we’re a third of the way there. | 四个陪审员 占据了陪审团的三分之一 |
[12:23] | Now all we have to do | 我们现在要做的 |
[12:24] | is not lose ours to the other side | 就是别让我们的陪审员更倾向于控方 |
[12:26] | and, uh, get the other side to see things our way. | 让倾向于控方的陪审员和我们的看法一致 |
[12:30] | You’re very smart. | 你很聪明 |
[12:32] | I’m very pleased that you are working with us. | 我很高兴你能和我们一起工作 |
[12:35] | Very pleased that Henry reached out to you. | 非常高兴亨利联系了你 |
[12:37] | Do you think that you could swing by the house | 你可以顺道来一趟房子这边 |
[12:39] | and meet my daughter, Olivia? | 见见我的女儿奥莉维亚吗 |
[12:41] | She’s beside herself with all of this. | 因为这一切 她都快伤心死了 |
[12:43] | I think meeting you would make all the difference. | 我觉得和你见见能让她好一点 |
[12:47] | Love to. | 乐意之至 |
[12:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:52] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[12:54] | Oh, Ms. Tyler. | 泰勒女士 |
[12:56] | Oh, don’t look so surprised. It’s a public courtroom. | 别看起来这么惊讶 这是个对公众开放的法庭 |
[12:58] | And I’m writing my book with or without you. | 不管有没有你 我都要写我的书的 |
[13:01] | Though, frankly, I’d rather write it | 虽然老实说 我更愿意 |
[13:03] | from the inside than the outside. | 有些内部消息来让我写写 |
[13:04] | I think we’ve already had this conversation. | 我认为这个话题我们已经讨论过了 |
[13:06] | If you’ll excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[13:07] | Since you’re going to the house, | 既然你要去房子那里 |
[13:09] | ask about the oil. | 那就问问煤油的事情 |
[13:12] | You need me, Dr. Bull. | 你会需要我的 布尔博士 |
[13:13] | I know things. | 我知道内幕 |
[13:26] | These beautiful old homes. | 这些美丽的老房子 |
[13:28] | Boiler’s a hundred years old. | 锅炉都有一百多年了 |
[13:31] | It’s forever giving out. | 永远都滋滋作响 |
[13:33] | Can I grab you a drink? | 我能给你弄点什么喝的吗 |
[13:35] | It’s the maid’s day off. | 今天女佣休息了 |
[13:37] | No, I’m good, Henry. Thanks. | 不 我不用了 亨利 谢谢 |
[13:39] | There is the good doctor. Dr. Bull. | 这位是一位非常棒的博士 布尔博士 |
[13:43] | I’d like to introduce you to my daughter, Olivia. | 这位是我的女儿 奥莉维亚 |
[13:45] | Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 |
[13:47] | Ah, Olivia. | 奥莉维亚 |
[13:48] | It’s nice to meet you. | 很高兴见到你 |
[13:50] | I’m sorry about your father. | 对于你父亲的死我很抱歉 |
[13:52] | And I’m sorry about | 同时我也对你母亲 |
[13:54] | all that your mother’s been going through. | 正在经历的一切感到抱歉 |
[13:56] | I know it’s a lot. | 我知道这一切难以承受 |
[13:58] | Your mom tells me you’re nervous. | 你母亲说你很紧张 |
[14:01] | I just want you to know that’s understandable. | 我想让你知道这是可以理解的 |
[14:05] | After all, | 毕竟 |
[14:06] | you really are her alibi. | 你是她的不在场证人 |
[14:10] | In any event, | 无论如何 |
[14:12] | if I can get you and your mom | 如果你和你母亲能够 |
[14:13] | to come to my offices tomorrow… | 明天来我办公室一趟… |
[14:15] | Oh, really? Tomorrow? I was hoping that we would have… | 真的吗 明天 我以为我们可以… |
[14:16] | I think it’s important to take the one free day we have | 我认为空一天出来 |
[14:19] | and prepare you both for the witness stand. | 帮你们俩准备上证人席是很重要的 |
[14:21] | I think it would help Olivia, and I know | 这能帮助奥莉维亚 而且 |
[14:24] | it would be enlightening for you and Henry. | 你和亨利也会获益良多 |
[14:29] | Henry, where’s the heat? | 亨利 暖气呢 |
[14:31] | Where’s the oil? | 煤油呢 |
[14:33] | Excuse me? | 抱歉 |
[14:34] | Look, I told you, these old houses, it’s just… | 听着 我告诉过你 这些旧房子 |
[14:36] | Knock it off. Where’s the help? | 别说了 女佣呢 |
[14:39] | It’s the maid’s night off. | 今晚女佣放假 |
[14:40] | More like the maid’s month off. | 更像是女佣已经放了一个月的假吧 |
[14:43] | These people are broke, Henry. | 亨利 这些人已经破产了 |
[14:45] | Look, if you’re worried about getting paid… | 听着 如果你担心报酬的问题 |
[14:47] | Well, first and foremost, now that you’ve attached | 首先 你把我的名字 |
[14:49] | my name to it, I’m worried about winning. | 和这事联系在一起了 我更担心胜诉 |
[14:51] | I’m worried about doing my job. | 我担心如何做我的工作 |
[14:52] | Let me tell you about me. | 我来告诉你我的为人 |
[14:54] | I traffic in the truth. | 我只和真相做生意 |
[14:55] | I know when I’m hearing it, and I know when I’m not. | 我一听就知道真假 |
[14:57] | And at the moment, | 而现在 |
[14:59] | it’s in fairly short supply. | 你基本上没和我说什么真话 |
[15:00] | – Jason… – And I know | – 杰森 – 我知道 |
[15:02] | that that doesn’t necessarily mean your client is guilty. | 那并不代表你的委托人就是有罪的 |
[15:05] | But I also know I cannot win this thing | 但我也知道如果大众认为他们 |
[15:08] | if people think they’re gonna lie their way through it. | 会在审判时撒谎 我就输定了 |
[15:13] | So if you want my help, | 所以 如果你需要我的帮助 |
[15:15] | you and your clients will be at my office | 你和你的委托人明天早上十点 |
[15:19] | at 10:00 tomorrow morning. | 要出现在我的办公室里 |
[15:21] | Understood? | 明白了吗 |
[15:24] | Understood. | 明白了 |
[15:36] | Something about sitting in this chair, | 坐在这张椅子上 |
[15:37] | taking the oath, it changes you. | 宣誓 会让你感受很不一样 |
[15:40] | And I want both of you to be ready for that. | 而我希望你们俩人都能为此准备好 |
[15:42] | At the same time, it gives us a chance | 同时 这给了我们一个 |
[15:45] | to see if your stories hold up under scrutiny. | 看看你们的说法是否能抵抗详细审查的机会 |
[15:48] | Mr. Colón will play the role of prosecutor. | 科隆先生会扮演检察官的角色 |
[15:51] | But remember, this isn’t really court, | 但记住 这不是真的法庭 |
[15:53] | so if anyone has anything to say, feel free. | 所以 如果任何人有什么想说的 直说就好 |
[15:57] | Sing out. | 大声说出来 |
[15:58] | It won’t be held against you. | 不会责怪你的 |
[16:00] | Let the games begin. Mr. Colón. | 游戏开始吧 科隆先生 |
[16:06] | Good morning, Ms. Lexington. | 早上好 列克星敦女士 |
[16:08] | My condolences on the death of your father. | 我对你父亲的去世表示哀悼 |
[16:11] | Um, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[16:13] | Now, is it your testimony that the night of the murder, | 你的证词说在谋杀当晚 |
[16:16] | your mother was 35 miles away from home with you | 你的母亲和你在离家三十五英里外的 |
[16:19] | in New York City? | 纽约 对吧 |
[16:21] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[16:22] | And what were you two doing that evening? | 你们俩那晚干了什么 |
[16:24] | Uh, we had dinner at Del Posto. | 我们在美境吃了晚饭 |
[16:26] | Do you recall what time? | 你记得是什么时候吗 |
[16:28] | It was around 6:00. | 大约在六点左右 |
[16:30] | And what time did it finish? | 什么时候结束的 |
[16:31] | – Uh, it was about 8:00. – 8:00 p.m. | – 那是八点左右 – 晚上八点 |
[16:34] | And the burglar alarm indicating the break-in | 然后防盗报警器表明了非法闯入的 |
[16:36] | and the probable time of death was at 7:20. | 和死者的死亡时间约是七点二十分 |
[16:42] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[16:44] | I mean, I mean, if that’s what they told you. | 如果他们是那样说的话 那可能就是吧 |
[16:47] | You sure it was Del Posto where you and your mother ate? | 你确定你和你母亲是在美境吃的饭吗 |
[16:50] | Of course. | 当然 |
[16:52] | Would you happen to have a receipt for the meal? | 你有晚餐的收据吗 |
[16:56] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[16:57] | A receipt. | 一张收据 |
[16:59] | To show that you were there, to prove that you paid, | 来证明你曾在那里 来证明你付了饭钱 |
[17:01] | because Del Posto has no record | 因为美境那晚没有 |
[17:03] | of serving you or your mother that evening. | 为你或者你母亲服务过的记录 |
[17:06] | No credit card, | 没有信用卡记录 |
[17:08] | no reservation under the name Lexington. | 没有以列克星敦名义预定的桌子 |
[17:10] | Honey? | 宝贝儿 |
[17:13] | Because we paid with cash. | 因为我们付的是现金 |
[17:15] | Do you remember? | 你还记得吗 |
[17:18] | I paid… I paid with cash. | 我付… 我付的是现金 |
[17:20] | And there’s no record of the reservation | 而之所以没有预约记录 |
[17:21] | because we just walked in off the street | 是因为我们就是在街上随便走进这家店 |
[17:22] | and asked for a table for two. | 要了个两人座 |
[17:24] | Didn’t give a name. | 没有留名字 |
[17:31] | Is that how you remember it? | 你也记得是这样的 |
[17:33] | – Uh, yes. – Okay. | – 是的 – 那好 |
[17:35] | Because Del Posto was completely sold out that night. | 但是美境餐厅当晚座位全都订出去了 |
[17:39] | They told us that there was no way | 他们说他们不可能让任何 |
[17:41] | that they would or could seat anyone without a reservation. | 没有预约的人就座进餐 |
[17:46] | Do you know what the penalty is for providing | 你知道在康涅狄格州于一场谋杀案审理过程 |
[17:50] | false testimony in a murder trial in Connecticut? | 中作伪证会受到怎样的惩罚吗 |
[17:55] | Even to protect one’s own mother? | 即使是为了保护自己的母亲 |
[17:57] | All right, all right, that’s enough. | 好了 好了 够了 |
[17:59] | You are terrifying my daughter. | 你是在恐吓我女儿 |
[18:01] | What would you have us do, Mrs. Lexington? | 那你想让我们如何呢 |
[18:03] | You offered her up as a sacrificial lamb. | 你把她推到台前做一个牺牲品 |
[18:05] | It’s clear the two of you didn’t have dinner in that restaurant. | 很明显你们两个根本没在那家餐厅用餐 |
[18:07] | I’m guessing you weren’t even together. | 我猜你们甚至都没在一起 |
[18:08] | – Jason. – No, you’re wrong. | – 杰森 – 不 你说的不对 |
[18:10] | We were. | 我们在一起 |
[18:11] | We were together. We were there. | 我们是待在一起的 我们就在那儿 |
[18:13] | She wasn’t anywhere near the house. | 她根本不在那房子附近 |
[18:14] | Olivia. | 奥莉维亚 |
[18:16] | They’re ahead of us. | 他们已经看穿了 |
[18:19] | And they are here trying to help us, I think. | 我认为 他们在尽力帮助我们 |
[18:25] | Can we speak in private? Just you and me and Henry. | 我们能不能私下谈谈 就你 我和亨利 |
[18:31] | I am not unaware of what people think of me… the press, | 我并非对芸芸微言一无所知 媒体的看法 |
[18:35] | the public. | 公众的看法 我都清楚 |
[18:36] | And it is difficult sometimes | 有时这让人很难 |
[18:40] | to think clearly, especially when you know | 冷静地思考 尤其是当你知道 |
[18:43] | that people have opinions about you. | 人们对你议论纷纷 |
[18:50] | I was not in New York City on the night | 我丈夫被害那晚 |
[18:52] | that my husband was murdered. | 我并不在纽约 |
[18:53] | I was in Greenwich, and I was having a meeting | 我在格林威治镇 正会见 |
[18:56] | with an attorney. | 一位律师 |
[18:57] | A divorce attorney. | 一位离婚律师 |
[19:00] | Did you know about this? | 你知道这事儿吗 |
[19:01] | I introduced her to the attorney, | 我有把她介绍给那位律师 |
[19:04] | but I was unaware that that is where she was | 但我不知道她声称那晚在纽约 |
[19:06] | on the night she claimed to be in New York City. | 但其实是在律师那儿 |
[19:09] | Well, how would that have looked? | 这让别人怎么看 |
[19:11] | The night that my husband is shot to death, | 我丈夫被射杀的当晚 |
[19:13] | I’m off plotting to leave the marriage? | 我正计划摆脱这段婚姻 |
[19:15] | Well, it would’ve looked horrible. | 这看起来会很糟糕 |
[19:17] | But it would’ve looked like the truth. | 但起码看起来像实话 |
[19:18] | Trust me, the other side can smell the stink on your alibi. | 相信我 控方会发现你不在场证明的漏洞 |
[19:22] | We are gonna have to get out in front of it | 明天上庭的时候 |
[19:23] | when we get to court tomorrow. | 我们必须抢先解决这个问题 |
[19:27] | Let’s work together | 一起来好好准备一下 |
[19:28] | on your opening statement. | 你的开庭陈述吧 |
[19:31] | Is there anything else? | 还有什么要说的吗 |
[19:34] | Tell me about the marriage. | 讲讲你的婚姻吧 |
[19:37] | Our only child just moved out and went to college. | 我们唯一的孩子不久前离开家门去上了大学 |
[19:40] | Suddenly there was nothing to hide behind. | 突然间就没什么好再藏着掖着的了 |
[19:44] | No one to put up a facade for. | 我们不必再为了孩子演戏了 |
[19:47] | Tell him the rest. | 把其他事儿也告诉他吧 |
[19:51] | My husband has… | 我的丈夫有… |
[19:55] | …had a very serious gambling problem. | 曾有非常严重的赌瘾 |
[19:59] | If his family didn’t own our home outright, | 如果不是他的家族拥有我们家房子的所有权 |
[20:02] | then that would’ve been gone long ago. | 这房子早就被输掉了 |
[20:03] | If it was liquid, Jeremy would spend it. | 如果房子可折现 杰里米会换成钱花光 |
[20:06] | His mother and his father cut him off years ago. | 他的父母多年前就跟他撇清关系了 |
[20:09] | And that’s why there’s no heat? | 这就是为什么屋子里没有供暖 |
[20:11] | Is that why there’s no help? | 为什么没有人愿意帮忙 |
[20:12] | We were almost to the bottom of the well. | 我们已经陷入绝境 |
[20:16] | Before Halloween, | 万圣节之前 |
[20:17] | we sold what was left of the stocks | 我们把剩余的股票卖了 |
[20:21] | so that we could pay for Olivia’s tuition next semester, | 以此来支付奥莉维亚下学期的学费 |
[20:25] | but… Jeremy found a way to gamble that | 但在这笔钱交给学校财务之前 |
[20:29] | before it even got to the bursar, and that was it. | 杰里米找了个法子把钱赌光了 就是这样 |
[20:32] | I told him I was done. | 我告诉他我受够了 |
[20:34] | I told him that I was going to see someone about | 我告诉他我要找人帮我 |
[20:37] | – putting an end to it. – How’d he take it? | – 为一切画上句号 – 他对此反应如何 |
[20:39] | He was apoplectic. | 他十分生气 |
[20:44] | Shall I start with the bad news? | 我先说说坏消息 |
[20:46] | The state attorney’s office almost certainly knows | 州检察官大概已经知道 |
[20:48] | about your husband’s gambling. | 你丈夫的赌博问题了 |
[20:50] | That is very tough to keep secret. | 这事儿很难隐瞒下来 |
[20:53] | But the good news is… | 但好消息是… |
[20:56] | if you’re telling the truth | 如果你说出家里破产 |
[20:57] | about the family having no money, | 的真相 |
[20:59] | you really have no motive to kill your husband. | 那你确实没什么动机谋杀你的丈夫了 |
[21:05] | Am I missing something? | 有什么我不知道的吗 |
[21:09] | There’s an insurance policy. | 有一份保险 |
[21:11] | Jeremy insisted that we buy it six months ago. | 六个月前杰里米坚持要买这份保险 |
[21:15] | $25 million on his life. | 给他的生命投保两千五百万美金 |
[21:19] | And, of course, I am the beneficiary. | 理所当然的 我是受益人 |
[21:25] | Forget everything I said after “the good news is.” | 忘了我刚才说的好消息吧 |
[21:36] | You think you know her… wife, mother, | 你们以为你们了解她… 妻子 母亲 |
[21:40] | philanthropist, socialite. | 慈善家 社交名流 |
[21:42] | Married into one of the richest families in the country. | 嫁入了国内顶级豪门之一 |
[21:47] | But you don’t know her. | 但是你们并不了解她本人 |
[21:48] | This spoiled member of the one percent | 富贵阶层中享受惯了的一员 |
[21:51] | who suddenly discovered that she was going to lose | 突然发现她那纸醉金迷的生活 |
[21:54] | her extravagant lifestyle. | 将要离她而去 |
[21:56] | Suddenly discovered that her husband, | 突然发现她的丈夫 |
[21:59] | a handsome and much-admired member | 一名英俊潇洒 备受敬仰的 |
[22:02] | of the Lexington dynasty, had been secretly | 列克星敦家族成员 多年来一直秘密 |
[22:05] | gambling away the family’s fortune for years. | 拿家里的钱财去赌 |
[22:10] | The fortune that was supposed to be | 而这些钱本应该是 |
[22:12] | her and her daughter’s future. | 她和她女儿的未来保障 |
[22:17] | So she killed him. | 所以她杀了他 |
[22:19] | Murdered her husband of 20 years, | 杀了她相处二十年的丈夫 |
[22:21] | not only to reap the satisfaction | 不仅是以谋杀背叛了自己和女儿的 |
[22:24] | of slaying the man who betrayed her and their daughter, | 男人来满足自己的内心 |
[22:27] | but also because with his death came a life insurance check | 更是因为他的死可以换来一张二千五百美金的 |
[22:32] | for $25 million. | 保险支票 |
[22:35] | And lest you think | 以免你们认为 |
[22:38] | this murder was an act of passion, | 这场谋杀只是一时冲动 |
[22:41] | even her husband sensed a plan was afoot. | 甚至她的丈夫感觉到暗示这是预谋已久的 |
[22:45] | The night of his murder… | 他被害当晚… |
[22:48] | he left his wife a voice mail, a plea. | 留给他的妻子一份录音 充满恳求之意 |
[22:52] | Becky, honey, I’m sorry. | 贝奇 亲爱的 我对不起你 |
[22:54] | I know you’re mad. | 我知道你很生气 |
[22:55] | I know you hate me. | 我知道你恨我 |
[22:58] | But you have to believe I love you. | 但你要相信我是真的爱你 |
[23:00] | And you have to believe I’m trying to make this right. | 你要相信我正努力让一切回归正轨 |
[23:03] | Now, I’m sure | 我相信 |
[23:05] | you’re all familiar with the term “guilt by association.” | 在座各位都熟悉一个术语”连坐之罪” |
[23:10] | Have you ever heard of the term | 那你们听没听过一个名词 |
[23:11] | “guilt by accusation”? | “欲加之罪”呢 |
[23:13] | This is when a person’s reputation | 这形容一个人声名狼藉 |
[23:16] | is so notorious that, unlike the rest of us, | 以至于无法像我们一样 |
[23:20] | who are innocent until proven guilty, | 被证实有罪前视为无罪 |
[23:22] | these people, for all intents and purposes, | 而这些人 任何可能的意图或动机 |
[23:25] | are guilty, until they’re proven innocent. | 都会被认为有罪 除非他们能证明是无辜的 |
[23:29] | The prosecutor | 这位检察官 |
[23:31] | is going to tell you all about | 将要告诉你们所有 |
[23:33] | the mean things that Rebecca Lexington has supposedly said | 丽贝卡·列克星敦一生当中大概对他人 |
[23:36] | and done to people throughout her life. | 说过做过的刻薄言行 |
[23:39] | This is how we get out in front of the lies you told the police. | 这就是我们解决你跟警方说谎这问题的方法 |
[23:42] | None of that makes her a murderer. | 但这些言行都不是她成为杀人犯的理由 |
[23:44] | She’ll even have a police detective testify | 她甚至会请一位探员来证明 |
[23:46] | that Rebecca told them a different story | 丽贝卡告诉了他们一个 |
[23:49] | than the one that she’s going to tell you | 与她将要在法庭上所述的内容 |
[23:51] | here in court. | 不同的故事 |
[23:53] | So… | 那么 |
[23:56] | did Rebecca lie to the police | 丽贝卡真的在一开始 |
[23:58] | when they first brought her in and questioned her? | 被拘留和审问的时候对警方说谎了吗 |
[24:02] | Yes. | 说了 |
[24:03] | Yes, she did. | 是的 她说了 |
[24:04] | She was terrified. | 她吓坏了 |
[24:05] | She panicked. | 她很恐慌 |
[24:07] | She knows what they think about her, | 她清楚警方是怎么看她的 |
[24:09] | and she didn’t think that they were going to believe the truth. | 而且觉得他们不会相信真话 |
[24:13] | But she’s going to tell you the truth. | 但她今天会对你们讲出真相 |
[24:17] | And I’m telling you the truth right now. | 而我现在就要告诉你们真相 |
[24:21] | This woman… | 这位女士 |
[24:23] | she did not kill her husband. | 她没有杀害自己的丈夫 |
[24:27] | That was very impressive. | 真是令人印象深刻啊 |
[24:28] | For a moment, even I had a glimmer of hope. | 有那么一瞬间 连我都燃起了一丝希望 |
[24:31] | Mom, just tell them they’re doing a good job. | 妈妈 就直说他们的表现非常出色就好 |
[24:33] | They know that’s what I mean. | 他们懂我的意思 |
[24:41] | You folks go on ahead. | 你们先走 |
[24:42] | I’ll catch up. | 我等下来找你们 |
[24:49] | You don’t give up. | 你还没放弃吗 |
[24:51] | You mean my plea for access? I gave up days ago. | 你是指我要求有参与权吗 我几天前就放弃了 |
[24:54] | No, I’m not here to ask for anything. | 我来这儿可不是来要求什么 |
[24:57] | I’m here to give you something. | 而是想给你点儿东西 |
[25:00] | Ah, what’s that? | 这是什么 |
[25:01] | It’s a website. | 一个网址 |
[25:02] | I think you might find it interesting. | 我想你应该会发现当中别有洞天 |
[25:05] | Jeremy certainly did. | 杰里米就是如此 |
[25:08] | Wait a second. | 等一下 |
[25:10] | I didn’t get a chance to thank you | 我还没找机会来谢谢你 |
[25:12] | for that “oil” tip. | 提示我注意”煤油” |
[25:14] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[25:16] | How’d you know? | 你是怎么知道的 |
[25:17] | How do you know… this? | 你是怎么知道的… 这个网站 |
[25:20] | It’s my life. | 我就是以此为生的 |
[25:22] | Knowing about the Lexingtons. | 想法了解列克星敦家族 |
[25:23] | Talking to anyone who knows anything about the Lexingtons. | 跟任何知道列克星敦家族内幕的人交流 |
[25:26] | It’s all I do. | 这就是我所做的 |
[25:27] | So why the sudden change of heart? | 为什么突然改变心意 |
[25:29] | Why the sudden… generosity? | 为什么突然如此… 慷慨 |
[25:34] | I thought about what you said. | 我好好想了想你说的话 |
[25:35] | About how I would feel if Rebecca spent her life in jail, | 如果我本有可能改变事情发展 |
[25:40] | when perhaps I could have made a difference. | 却任由丽贝卡在监狱度过余生 我将作何感受 |
[25:43] | And who knows, | 谁知道呢 |
[25:44] | maybe if you win this case, | 或许当你赢了这场官司 |
[25:45] | you’ll remember my kindness, let me interview you, | 你会记起我的好意 让我采访你 |
[25:49] | convince Mr. Bedford to give me another chance, | 说服贝德福德先生再给我一次机会 |
[25:52] | and perhaps even persuade Mrs. Lexington | 甚至可能会说服列克星敦夫人 |
[25:53] | to sit with me. | 跟我坐下聊聊 |
[25:55] | Well, like you said, we’d have to win first. | 借你吉言 我们先赢了再说 |
[26:00] | I have great faith in you, Dr. Bull. | 我对你可是大有信心 布尔博士 |
[26:09] | I’m afraid this is going to be | 恐怕程序要 |
[26:10] | a long-term project, Dr. Bull. | 运转很长时间 布尔博士 |
[26:11] | This address, if it’s even legitimate, | 这个网址 即使是合法的 |
[26:13] | lives on the dark web. | 也是以黑网形式存在的 |
[26:14] | I may not have anything for you until tomorrow. | 我可能得等到明天才能得到结果 |
[26:18] | Well, then I’m gonna do something I don’t often do. | 那我只好做一个我不常做的决定了 |
[26:21] | I’m going home. | 我回家去 |
[26:23] | Wow. I forgot you had a home. | 我都忘了你还有家 |
[26:25] | Me, too. And then I saw this key I didn’t recognize | 我也是 我在我钥匙串上 |
[26:28] | on my key chain, and it all came rushing back to me. | 看到一个陌生的钥匙 我才想起来的 |
[26:31] | – See you in the morning, Cable. – Night, Dr. Bull. | – 明早见 凯布 – 晚安 布尔博士 |
[26:33] | Detective Gates, | 盖茨警探 |
[26:35] | you’re the lead homicide detective | 你是杰里米 列克星敦谋杀案的 |
[26:37] | on the Jeremy Lexington murder, correct? | 凶案组的主要负责人 是吗 |
[26:38] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[26:39] | And did you visit the Lexingtons’ home? | 你去过列克星敦的家吗 |
[26:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:43] | And I believe you were the first | 你也是第一个认为 |
[26:44] | to suggest the crime scene had been staged. | 犯罪现场是伪造的 |
[26:47] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[26:48] | On what did you base that opinion? | 此判定是基于什么 |
[26:50] | Couple of things… | 好几个地方 |
[26:51] | the biggest being the point of entry. | 最大的疑点是入口 |
[26:53] | The glass in the French doors. | 落地玻璃窗的碎片 |
[26:55] | Yes. Made no sense. | 是的 没道理啊 |
[26:57] | Breaking glass makes noise. | 打破玻璃意味着发出声音 |
[26:59] | Noise is something you want to avoid | 如果要非法进入一间屋子 |
[27:00] | if you’re breaking into a home. | 应当避免发出声音 |
[27:02] | Also, when we arrived on the scene, | 还有 当我们到达现场时 |
[27:04] | the lights were on; there’s no way that intruder went | 灯都开着 闯入者走到落地窗边 |
[27:06] | through those doors and didn’t know that somebody was home. | 不可能没发现有人在家 |
[27:09] | Again, makes no sense. | 又一次 没道理啊 |
[27:11] | A professional… he sees that, | 职业惯犯 他看到了这种情况 |
[27:14] | he’s gonna find another house to hit pronto. | 他会快速找另一家下手 |
[27:16] | Objection! Facts not in evidence. | 反对 没有证据的说辞 |
[27:18] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[27:19] | I’m just a glutton for punishment. | 我是个不怕挨批的人 |
[27:21] | What’s the view | 你那边情况 |
[27:22] | from where you’re sitting? | 看起来如何 |
[27:23] | It’s not pretty. The mirror jurors | 不太好看 模拟陪审员 |
[27:25] | are buying into the staged crime scene theory across the board. | 相信了伪造犯罪现场的理论 |
[27:29] | Well, that’s because it makes perfect sense. | 那是因为这很有道理 |
[27:32] | Now, immediately after the crime, | 案发之后 |
[27:34] | who did you zero in on as a suspect? | 你首先把谁定位成嫌疑人 |
[27:36] | Mrs. Lexington. | 列克星敦太太 |
[27:38] | And what led you to her? | 你为什么认定她 |
[27:39] | You’ve been doing this long enough, you just kind of know. | 做这行够久了 我就能感觉到 |
[27:42] | – So you questioned her? – I did. | – 所以你审讯了她 – 是的 |
[27:44] | And what did she tell you? | 她怎么说的 |
[27:46] | That she was in New York City. | 她说她在纽约 |
[27:47] | That she couldn’t possibly have killed her husband. | 她不可能杀了她丈夫 |
[27:52] | Well, then, that was that. | 那就这样了 |
[27:54] | Well, not really. | 并没有 |
[27:56] | Because when we followed up on her alibi, | 我们跟进了她的不在场证明 |
[27:58] | we discovered that she wasn’t in New York City at all. | 却发现她那晚不在纽约 |
[28:01] | That she was right here in Greenwich the whole time, | 她整晚就在格林威治这里 |
[28:03] | and was perfectly capable of committing the murder. | 完全有机会实施谋杀 |
[28:05] | So she lied. | 这么说她撒谎了 |
[28:07] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[28:10] | No further questions at this time. | 我没别的问题了 |
[28:12] | The good news is all the jurors are already read, | 好消息是所有陪审员的表情都写在脸上了 |
[28:15] | so I have no bad news to report. | 我就没有坏消息能禀报了 |
[28:17] | Thanks, Marissa. You’re always looking out for me. | 谢了 玛丽萨 你总是帮我留心着 |
[28:21] | So when the detectives asked you where you were | 当警探问你你爸死亡 |
[28:23] | at the time of your father’s death, | 那段时间你在哪 |
[28:25] | – you answered? – In New York. | – 你回答的是 – 在纽约 |
[28:27] | I’m gonna need a more specific answer than that. | 我需要更详细的回答 |
[28:30] | Where in New York? | 纽约的哪里 |
[28:31] | I told them that I was at Del Posto. | 我告诉他们我在美境餐厅 |
[28:33] | It’s a restaurant. It’s on Tenth Avenue. | 这家餐厅在第十大道 |
[28:34] | And did they ask you who you were with? | 他们有问你跟谁去的吗 |
[28:36] | Yes, and I said my mother. | 有 我说跟我妈去的 |
[28:39] | And were you with your mother? | 那你是真的跟你妈去的吗 |
[28:41] | No. That was a lie. | 不是 我说谎了 |
[28:43] | And I’m sorry, but I thought… | 我很抱歉 但我以为… |
[28:44] | No. No, no, no, no. | 不不不 |
[28:47] | Only answer the questions that are asked. | 只回答我所问的 |
[28:48] | Don’t volunteer anything else. | 不要加任何东西 |
[28:50] | Trust me, | 相信我 |
[28:51] | they’ll get to everything. | 他们会问清楚的 |
[28:53] | That’s their job, okay? | 那是他们的工作 |
[28:55] | And were you with your mother? | 你是跟你妈一起去的吗 |
[28:58] | No, that was a lie. | 不是 那是谎言 |
[29:01] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[29:03] | Now, did someone tell you to lie? | 有人要你说谎吗 |
[29:05] | Did your mother tell you to lie? | 你妈妈有叫你说谎吗 |
[29:07] | No, it was my idea. | 没有 是我自己的主意 |
[29:08] | I had just lost my father, and the thought of my mother | 我刚失去爸爸 一想到我妈要在监狱 |
[29:11] | spending the rest of her life in prison… | 度过余生… |
[29:13] | I just did it again, didn’t I? | 我又说多了 对吧 |
[29:14] | It’s okay. You’re tired. | 没关系 你累了 |
[29:16] | And we’ve been doing this a while. | 我们也练习好一会了 |
[29:18] | But you get the idea, right? | 你明白要领了 对吧 |
[29:19] | Yeah, I do. | 我懂了 |
[29:23] | So, who’s the parent and who’s the child | 那么 在你家里谁是父母 |
[29:26] | in the Lexington house? | 谁是孩子呢 |
[29:27] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[29:30] | You’re very protective of your mother. | 你对你妈妈很有保护欲 |
[29:32] | She’s on trial for murder. | 她被控告谋杀 |
[29:35] | No, I-I get that, but it strikes me | 我知道 但我发现 |
[29:37] | as something that you’ve grown comfortable with, | 你习惯于这么做 |
[29:39] | something that you’ve been doing for a long time. | 仿佛你已经这么做很久了 |
[29:43] | Ever since I can remember, | 从我记事开始 |
[29:45] | my mother’s been one of those people | 我妈妈就是那种 |
[29:46] | that everyone thinks they know, | 每个人都自以为了解她 |
[29:49] | even if they’ve never met her. | 尽管他们根本不认识她 |
[29:51] | They just instantly dislike her. | 他们一开始就不喜欢她 |
[29:55] | You can’t help but feel protective of someone like that. | 对这样的人会不由自主想要保护 |
[30:00] | People are just against her, for no reason. | 人们毫无理由的不认同她 |
[30:04] | You ever been on the receiving end of that? | 你有经历过这种事吗 |
[30:06] | Actually, I’m going through something like that right now. | 事实上 我正经历着这种事 |
[30:10] | This law professor of mine, I mean… | 我的一个法学教授 |
[30:13] | he-he’s just got it in for me. | 他就是对我有意见 |
[30:15] | Every paper, every test. | 每次作业 每个测验 |
[30:17] | Yeah, but, I mean, at least you can confront him. | 但你至少还能跟他对峙 |
[30:19] | You can ask him why. | 你能问他为什么 |
[30:24] | You’re right. | 你说的没错 |
[30:25] | I can. I should. | 我能 我也应该这么做 |
[30:32] | And I think it’s great that you’re your mother’s protector. | 我认为作为你妈妈的保护者 你很棒 |
[30:37] | Becky, honey, I’m sorry. | 贝奇 亲爱的 我很抱歉 |
[30:39] | I know you’re mad. | 我知道你生气 |
[30:40] | I know you hate me. | 我知道你恨我 |
[30:42] | But you have to believe I love you. | 但你要相信我爱你 |
[30:45] | And you have to believe I’m trying to make this… | 相信我在努力… |
[30:48] | Becky, honey, I’m sorry. | 贝奇 亲爱的 我很抱歉 |
[30:50] | I know you’re mad. | 我知道你生气 |
[30:51] | I know you hate me. | 我知道你恨我 |
[30:53] | Can I show you something? | 我能给你看点东西吗 |
[30:56] | I was able to get into that website you got me. | 我进入了你给我的那个网站 |
[30:58] | Turns out Jeremy had an account there. | 发现杰里米有个账户 |
[31:00] | I think you should see this. | 你应该来看看 |
[31:03] | Thank you for meeting me before we go to court. | 感谢你们在开庭前跟我见面 |
[31:06] | Well, what’s your big news? | 重大发现是什么 |
[31:08] | Did you find the person who did this? | 你找到始作俑者了吗 |
[31:10] | Because, let’s be honest, | 说真的 |
[31:12] | short of that, I am not sensing that we are going to prevail. | 简单而言 我不觉得我们占优势 |
[31:18] | Well… | 好吧 |
[31:21] | Actually, the folks who work for me found a lot of things. | 其实我的员工们发现了很多东西 |
[31:24] | For one, | 其一 |
[31:25] | the website where your husband did most of his gambling… | 你丈夫经常赌博的网站 |
[31:28] | turns out they traffic in a variety of vices, | 提供各种各样的非法交易 |
[31:31] | all sorts of illicit and illegal activities. | 都是违法行为 |
[31:35] | I’m not following you. | 我没懂 |
[31:38] | He didn’t gamble away your daughter’s tuition money. | 他没有把你女儿的学费输光 |
[31:42] | He bought something with it. | 他用来买了东西 |
[31:45] | What? | 什么东西 |
[31:48] | A future for you and your daughter. | 你和你女儿的未来 |
[31:51] | At least that was the plan. | 至少这是他的计划 |
[31:54] | I do not understand a word you are saying. | 我听不懂你什么意思 |
[31:58] | Well, then… | 那么 |
[32:00] | let’s begin at the beginning. | 让我们从头开始 |
[32:02] | First and foremost, the police and the prosecutor got it right. | 首先 警方和控方是对的 |
[32:06] | The crime scene was staged. | 犯罪现场的确是伪造的 |
[32:08] | By whom? | 谁做的 |
[32:09] | The one person who was determined | 那个想要你丈夫的 |
[32:11] | to see your husband’s life end. | 生命走到尽头的人 |
[32:14] | Your husband. | 是你丈夫本人 |
[32:18] | What are you trying to tell us? | 你到底想说什么 |
[32:21] | I’m trying to tell you your husband committed suicide. | 我想说的是 你丈夫是自杀 |
[32:27] | Jason, that’s impossible. | 杰森 这是不可能的 |
[32:29] | The coroner would’ve been able to determine | 如果是自己造成的伤口 |
[32:31] | if it was a self-inflicted wound. | 法医会看出来的 |
[32:33] | I mean, clearly, the bullet came from a greater distance. | 很明显 子弹是远距离射击的 |
[32:36] | Clearly, it came from someone else’s gun. | 很明显是别人开枪的 |
[32:38] | It did. | 是的 |
[32:40] | That’s why the scene seemed staged. | 所以现场看起来像是伪造的 |
[32:43] | The person who shot your husband wasn’t a robber. | 开枪的人不是抢劫犯 |
[32:47] | It was a professional hit man, bought and paid for | 而是一名职业杀手 雇主就是 |
[32:50] | by his intended victim. | 他的目标受害者 |
[32:55] | Why? | 为什么 |
[32:56] | I’m guessing he realized the perilous financial situation | 我猜他意识到他把你和女儿 |
[32:59] | he’d put you and your daughter in. | 置于危险的经济困境中 |
[33:01] | And the only real asset you had | 而你们唯一的财产是 |
[33:03] | was the $25 million insurance policy. | 两千五百万的保险金 |
[33:06] | Which we could not collect on if he died by his own hand. | 但如果他自杀我们就拿不到钱 |
[33:10] | So he hired someone to do it for him. | 所以他才雇人杀他 |
[33:14] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[33:16] | And, of course… they had to make it look like | 当然了 他们要让这看起来 |
[33:19] | something other than what it was. | 不像是这样的 |
[33:24] | Last night, I kept listening to the voice mail | 昨晚 我一直在听 杰里米被杀那晚 |
[33:27] | Jeremy left you the night he died. | 留给你的语音消息 |
[33:31] | Prosecutor keeps trying to sell it to the jury | 控方一直想陪审团相信 |
[33:35] | like it’s a plea for mercy, | 这是求情 |
[33:37] | suggesting he knows you’re gonna kill him. | 暗示他知道你要杀他 |
[33:41] | That’s not what I hear. | 我听出了别的意思 |
[33:45] | He’s asking for your forgiveness. | 他是在求你的原谅 |
[33:48] | For what he did. | 为他的所作所为 |
[33:50] | For what he’s about to do. | 为他将要做的 |
[33:56] | It’s a suicide note. | 这是他的遗言 |
[34:02] | I know it’s gonna be difficult, | 我知道这很艰难 |
[34:03] | but we have to find a way to get this out in court, | 但我们要在法庭上公布 |
[34:06] | and I may need you to take the stand. | 我需要你出庭作供 |
[34:08] | I think it’s the only way we can clear your name. | 我认为这是还你清白的唯一方法 |
[34:18] | No. | 不行 |
[34:24] | We are not sharing this with anyone. | 我们不能公布 |
[34:27] | What? | 什么 |
[34:28] | That-that makes no sense, Rebecca. | 这没道理啊 丽贝卡 |
[34:31] | This conversation is protected | 此次对话受到律师和当事人 |
[34:33] | by attorney-client privilege, right? | 保密条约的保护 是吧 |
[34:35] | Of course. | 当然 |
[34:36] | And if I tell you you can’t use something, you can’t, right? | 如果我说你们不能说什么 你们就不能 对吧 |
[34:40] | Rebecca, we’re trying to save your life. | 丽贝卡 我们在努力救你 |
[34:42] | We’re trying to keep you out of prison. | 努力让你不去坐牢 |
[34:44] | The insurance policy. | 那份保险 |
[34:48] | Olivia is the secondary beneficiary. | 奥莉维亚是第二顺位受益人 |
[34:50] | And if they find out that this is essentially a suicide… | 如果他们发现那其实是自杀… |
[34:55] | they will never pay the claim, and she… | 他们就不会理赔了 那她… |
[34:58] | If I go to prison, my daughter will get the money, | 如果我进监狱了 我女儿就能得到那笔钱 |
[35:02] | and my daughter will have a future. | 我女儿就会有未来 |
[35:04] | And she deserves a future. | 她应得的未来 |
[35:10] | So the truth stays here. | 所以真相到此为止 |
[35:14] | With us. | 只有我们知道 |
[35:25] | Professor Jameson? | 詹姆士教授 |
[35:28] | I’m in your Intro to Legal Theory class. | 我是您《法律理论入门》课的学生 |
[35:31] | Do you have a minute? | 能占用您一点时间吗 |
[35:32] | I see students only by appointment. | 我只和有预约的学生谈话 |
[35:34] | I completely understand. | 我完全理解 |
[35:36] | But I work during the day, and scheduling an appointment | 但因为我白天要工作 很难能预约 |
[35:39] | during your office hours is difficult. | 您的办公时间见面 |
[35:41] | As it happens, my firm | 但偶然之下 我的律所 |
[35:43] | is in court today, so I was able to sneak away. | 今天要出庭 所以我溜出来了 |
[35:45] | You work for a law firm? | 你在律所工作吗 |
[35:46] | Trial science company. | 一家庭审技术公司 |
[35:48] | Oh, you’re him. | 你就是那个学生 |
[35:50] | I wrote about it in one of our first assignments. | 我在我们第一次课题作业中写到过 |
[35:54] | You gave me a “C”. | 您给了我七十分 |
[35:56] | You give me a “C” on pretty much everything I submit to you. | 几乎所有我提交的作业您都给我七十分 |
[35:59] | That’s what I wanted to talk to you about. | 我想与您谈一谈这个事情 |
[36:02] | – Okay. Plead your case. – Excuse me? | – 好 陈述一下你的案情 – 您说什么 |
[36:05] | Why do you think you’re entitled to more than a “C”? | 你为何认为你能得到比七十分更高的成绩呢 |
[36:09] | Because I see you handing out “A”s and “B”s | 因为我看到您给班上几乎所有学生的 |
[36:11] | to almost everyone else in the class, and… | 成绩都是九十分或八十分 而且… |
[36:14] | well, I… frankly, I have more experience than any of them. | 我…坦诚地说 我比他们的经验都丰富 |
[36:16] | At a trial science company? | 在一家庭审技术公司里 |
[36:20] | Well, why do you say it like that? | 您为什么用这种语气说呢 |
[36:21] | Mr. Palmer, the system of jurisprudence | 帕尔默先生 司法体系 |
[36:24] | has existed for centuries, | 已经存在数个世纪了 |
[36:26] | functioning quite well with just attorneys | 律师和法官 还有陪审团 |
[36:28] | and, uh, and judges and occasionally juries, | 相互运作得很好 |
[36:33] | never once requiring the services | 却从未需要 |
[36:35] | of trial scientists, who, near as I can tell, | 庭审专家的服务 就我所知 |
[36:37] | just, uh, suddenly appeared in the last 25 years. | 这些人最近二十五年间才突然冒出来的 |
[36:41] | And who are they? | 而且他们是些什么人呢 |
[36:42] | They don’t need degrees, just a fancy business card, | 他们不用学位 只要有一张漂亮的名片 |
[36:45] | the ability to generate billable hours, | 能按时薪收费的伎俩 |
[36:49] | uh, the gift of gab. | 还有侃侃而谈的天份 |
[36:50] | Whenever a client prevails, they take the credit. | 当客户赢了官司 就是他们的功劳 |
[36:54] | Whenever a client loses, it’s the attorney’s fault. | 而当客户输了 就是律师的错误 |
[36:59] | I think they’re charlatans. | 我觉得他们就是冒充内行的骗子 |
[37:01] | And I think people who work for them are charlatans. | 并且我觉得给他们干活的人都是骗子 |
[37:05] | You don’t even know me. | 您根本不了解我 |
[37:07] | I don’t need to know you. I know what you do. | 我不需要了解你 我知道你的工作性质 |
[37:10] | And I don’t think that’s fair. | 我认为这不公平 |
[37:12] | I came here to study the law. | 我来这里是来学习法律的 |
[37:14] | Shouldn’t matter what job I have. | 这与我做什么工作无关 |
[37:16] | If you don’t like me or you don’t like my class, | 如果你不喜欢我 或不喜欢我的课 |
[37:19] | then drop out. | 那就退课 |
[37:22] | I don’t want to drop out. | 我不想退课 |
[37:23] | Then make your peace with those “C”s. | 那就默默接受七十分 |
[37:26] | Our appointment’s over. | 我们的面谈到此结束 |
[37:34] | Hey. I’m sorry that it took me so long to get here, | 抱歉我来晚了 |
[37:37] | but… I know you said it was an emergency… | 但… 我知道你说很紧急… |
[37:39] | it’s an hour on the train. | 坐地铁过来要一个小时 |
[37:41] | I need your help. | 我需要你的帮助 |
[37:43] | I have proof of your mother’s innocence, proof… | 我有能证明你母亲是无辜的证据… |
[37:46] | she won’t let me use in court, and I suspect | 但她不许我在法庭上使用这个证据 |
[37:48] | you may be the only one who can convince her otherwise. | 我想只有你能说服她改变主意 |
[37:51] | Yeah. | 好 |
[37:53] | Yeah, of course, let me at her. | 好 当然 带我去见她 |
[37:56] | Thing is, it’s gonna cost you $25 million. | 问题是 这可能会害你损失两千五百万美金 |
[38:01] | Your Honor, we would like to call | 法官大人 我方要求传唤 |
[38:02] | a last-minute witness to the stand. | 最后一位证人出庭 |
[38:05] | Rebecca Lexington. | 丽贝卡·列克星敦 |
[38:13] | We met in college. | 我们在大学里相识 |
[38:14] | Fell in love. I was the poor girl | 坠入爱河 我是穷人家的 |
[38:16] | from the other side of the tracks, | 穷女孩 |
[38:18] | and he was the rich boy who deserved better. | 而他是富家子弟 应该和更好的女孩在一起 |
[38:20] | But we didn’t care. | 但是我们都不在意这些 |
[38:22] | We knew we were meant to be. | 我们知道我们是命中注定 |
[38:27] | His family held their noses through our wedding, | 他的家人在婚礼上一直克制着厌恶之情 |
[38:29] | and he loved that. | 他也很开心 |
[38:31] | I loved him, | 我很爱他 |
[38:33] | but he had a dark side. | 但是他有不为人知的一面 |
[38:36] | If something was… forbidden, he was very attracted to it. | 对于禁忌的事物… 他却非常着迷 |
[38:41] | I think I was part of that… | 我以为我也曾令他着迷… |
[38:43] | till I wasn’t. | 直到我魅力不再 |
[38:45] | And when I wasn’t, it became gambling. | 当我魅力不再时 赌博吸引了他 |
[38:48] | He was addicted. | 他上瘾了 |
[38:50] | He loved the risk, | 他喜欢冒险 |
[38:52] | and there were times that I was convinced | 有时候我甚至相信 |
[38:54] | that he found the losing more thrilling than the winning. | 输钱比赢钱更能令他兴奋 |
[38:58] | Did Jeremy ever tell you how he felt about his addiction? | 杰里米是否曾告诉你他对赌博成瘾的感受 |
[39:02] | Of course. | 当然 |
[39:03] | He… more than anything, felt guilty. | 他… 比起其他事情 他感到很愧疚 |
[39:08] | For everything he put us through, | 为让我们所经历的一切感到愧疚 |
[39:09] | especially Olivia. | 尤其是奥莉维亚 |
[39:12] | Any movement yet? | 有什么动静吗 |
[39:13] | You’ll be the first to know. | 我会第一时间告诉你的 |
[39:15] | Mrs. Lexington, | 列克星敦女士 |
[39:17] | six months before your husband’s death, | 在您丈夫死亡的六个月之前 |
[39:19] | were you aware that he took out an insurance policy | 你是否知道他购买了一份价值 |
[39:22] | of $25 million, | 两千五百万美金的保险 |
[39:25] | naming you as the primary beneficiary? | 并以你为第一顺位受益人 |
[39:29] | He mentioned the policy, but I had no idea | 他提起过这个保单 但是直到他死去 |
[39:30] | it was for that much until after his death. | 我才知道是这么高的保额 |
[39:33] | Did you know that, in the event of suicide, | 你是否知道 如果他是自杀死亡 |
[39:36] | this policy would be null and void? | 那么这份保单将宣告无效 |
[39:39] | I never saw the policy. I have no idea what it said. | 我从未看过这份保单 我不知道当中的条款 |
[39:42] | Don’t touch that dial. | 不要换台 |
[39:44] | Here comes the good part. | 好戏即将上演 |
[39:45] | Do you know a Donald Graham? | 你认识唐纳德·格雷厄姆吗 |
[39:48] | – No, I don’t. – Were you aware | – 不 我不认识 – 你是否知道 |
[39:50] | that your husband transferred $20,000, | 你的丈夫在死亡的两天前 |
[39:52] | two days before he died, to Mr. Graham? | 给格雷厄姆先生汇款了两万美金 |
[39:56] | No. | 不知道 |
[39:57] | So you had no idea what this payment was actually for? | 所以你不知道给他这笔钱是用来做什么的 |
[40:00] | None at all. | 完全不知道 |
[40:01] | Is this the good part? | 这就是好戏了吗 |
[40:03] | Patience. | 耐心些 |
[40:04] | Did you know that Mr. Graham | 你是否知道格雷厄姆先生 |
[40:06] | is a contract killer? | 是一个职业杀手 |
[40:07] | A hit man? | 一个职业刺客 |
[40:09] | A professional executioner? | 一个专业的刽子手 |
[40:10] | Objection. | 反对 |
[40:11] | No foundation. | 没有证据 |
[40:12] | There is zero evidence… | 没有证据证明… |
[40:14] | Actually, there is. | 事实上是有证据的 |
[40:15] | I would like to submit | 我方请求提交一份 |
[40:17] | evidence of a money trail, | 由列克星敦先生 |
[40:19] | leading from Mr. Lexington | 向格雷厄姆先生汇款的记录 |
[40:21] | to Mr. Graham, purchasing his services. | 用于购买他的刺杀服务 |
[40:23] | Objection. | 反对 |
[40:24] | This is the first we’ve heard of this. | 这是我方第一次得知这一证据 |
[40:26] | I’ll take it de bene, | 我允许先行适用该证据 |
[40:29] | assuming it will hold up later on. | 假定其后仍可继续沿用 |
[40:33] | It’s not spring yet, is it? | 还没到春天呢 不是吗 |
[40:35] | Why do you say that? | 什么意思 |
[40:36] | I’m seeing my first hint of green. | 我看到了一片绿色 |
[40:40] | Mrs. Lexington, | 列克星敦女士 |
[40:42] | is it possible that your husband felt so guilty | 是否有可能是你丈夫 |
[40:46] | for the position that he had put you and your daughter in | 对于将你们母女置于这一境地感到十分愧疚 |
[40:49] | that he would have orchestrated his own murder? | 以至于他精心安排了对他自己的谋杀 |
[40:51] | Objection. Calls for speculation. | 反对 要求证人推测而非事实 |
[40:53] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[40:55] | Let me rephrase that. | 我换个说法 |
[40:58] | Your husband knew that you and your daughter | 你的丈夫知道你们母女 |
[40:59] | were in desperate need of money. | 正迫切地需要资金 |
[41:01] | We talked about that all the time. | 我们一直在谈论这个情况 |
[41:03] | Objection. Hearsay. | 反对 这是传闻 |
[41:04] | She is testifying | 她在为对话中 |
[41:05] | to her part in a conversation. | 她自己的部分作证 |
[41:07] | It’s not hearsay. | 这不是传闻 |
[41:09] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[41:10] | Mrs. Lexington, | 列克星敦女士 |
[41:12] | can you think of any other reason | 你是否能想到其他任何原因 |
[41:13] | that your husband would go onto the dark web | 会致使你丈夫在黑网上 |
[41:16] | – and hire a professional killer? – No. | – 雇佣职业杀手 – 不能 |
[41:18] | Your Honor, that is pure speculation. | 法官大人 这是纯粹的推测而非事实 |
[41:20] | Jury will disregard. | 陪审团将无视这一内容 |
[41:22] | No, they won’t. | 不 他们不会的 |
[41:23] | Just one more question, Your Honor. | 还有一个问题 法官大人 |
[41:25] | Mrs. Lexington, you do understand | 列克星敦女士 你是否明白 |
[41:29] | that your testimony here today | 你今天在此做出的证词 |
[41:31] | will almost certainly result in the insurance company | 近乎肯定会导致保险公司 |
[41:35] | declaring your husband’s death a suicide, | 判定你丈夫的死亡为自杀 |
[41:38] | and thereby allowing them | 并因此拒绝 |
[41:41] | to opt out of any payment to you or your daughter? | 对你或你女儿的任何赔付 |
[41:44] | Yes, I do. | 是的 我明白 |
[41:47] | And I don’t care. | 而且我无所谓 |
[41:55] | Oh, my goodness. | 我的天呐 |
[41:56] | It’s like Saint Paddy’s Day in here. | 这边就像是在过圣帕特里克节 |
[42:01] | On the single count of murder in the first degree, | 对被告的一级谋杀罪名的唯一指控 |
[42:04] | we, the jury, | 陪审团 |
[42:05] | find the defendant, Rebecca Lexington… | 认定被告丽贝卡·列克星敦… |
[42:09] | not guilty. | 罪名不成立 |
[42:20] | No hard feelings, Theresa? | 别伤了和气 特丽莎 |
[42:22] | Can’t promise you that. | 这可说不好 |
[42:24] | But send me the evidence you’ve gathered on | 但请把你们收集的关于 |
[42:25] | Donald Graham, | 唐纳德·格雷厄姆的证据交给我 |
[42:27] | and I’ll have my office seek an indictment immediately. | 我会要求检察官办公室立刻对他提起公诉 |
[42:29] | Okay. | 好的 |
[42:36] | Watch. | 你看看 |
[42:37] | Bet she’s the only one that’s gonna make any money on this. | 我打赌她是唯一一个从中能挣到钱的人 |
[42:39] | It’s probably as it should be, | 鉴于她向我提供的帮助 |
[42:42] | given all the help she gave me. | 她应该挣到钱 |
[42:44] | Do me a favor. | 帮我个忙 |
[42:46] | Give her a couple hours of your time. | 去和她面谈几个小时 |
[42:48] | And let’s both convince your client to do the same. | 我们也一起说服我们的客户也跟她谈一谈 |
[42:50] | She saved our asses today, not to mention Rebecca’s life. | 她今天帮了我们的大忙 还有丽贝卡的人生 |
[42:55] | Nice work, chief. | 干得漂亮 老大 |
[42:56] | Yes, we did it. | 是的 我们干得不错 |
[42:58] | – Yeah. – Kept our client out of jail. | – 是啊 – 我们让客户免于牢狱之灾 |
[43:00] | – Yes. – Of course, now she’s bankrupt. | – 是的 – 当然 现在她破产了 |
[43:03] | Can’t pay her oil bill. | 她无法支付煤油账单 |
[43:04] | Can’t pay her daughter’s tuition. | 无法支付她女儿的学费 |
[43:06] | Can’t pay us. | 也无法支付我们的律师费了 |
[43:08] | It’s like I told Charlie Sheen a couple years ago: | 就像几年前我告诉查理·辛的那样 |
[43:11] | winning isn’t everything it’s cracked up to be. | 胜诉也没有大家说得那么好 |