时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Sugar, yes, please | # 宝贝 求你了 # |
[00:03] | Won’t you come and put it down on me? | # 你能否出现 抚慰我的心 # |
[00:07] | I’m right here, ’cause I need | # 我就在这 我渴望 # |
[00:10] | Little love, a little sympathy | # 一点爱与关心 # |
[00:15] | Yeah, you show me good loving, make it all right… | # 你对我真挚的爱 让一切变得美好 # |
[00:47] | Good morning, Mrs. Valerian. | 早上好 瓦莱里安夫人 |
[00:50] | Good morning, Mr. Valerian. | 早上好 瓦莱里安先生 |
[00:55] | Happy… tenth day anniversary. | 结婚十天… 纪念日快乐 |
[01:03] | I’ll call in sick if you will. | 你希望的话 我可以请病假 |
[01:06] | I can’t. | 可我不行 |
[01:08] | He’s coming back in today. | 他今天要回来了 |
[01:10] | It’s his first day back since the heart attack. | 这是他心脏病发作后第一天回来上班 |
[01:24] | When’s he due? | 他什么时候到 |
[01:25] | Couple of hours. It’s gonna be weird. | 几个小时吧 大概会显得很奇怪 |
[01:28] | You know he’s not going to be the same guy. | 他肯定和以前判若两人 |
[01:32] | Something like that, | 发生了那样的事 |
[01:33] | confronting your own mortality? | 在鬼门关走了一回 |
[01:36] | That’s got to change you. | 这注定会改变一个人 |
[01:37] | A kinder, gentler Bull? | 变得更和善怜悯吗 |
[01:39] | How could he not be? | 当然 |
[01:41] | Does he know we lost | 他知道我们 |
[01:42] | those two cases yet? | 输了两场官司吗 |
[01:44] | Not unless Marissa told him. | 只要玛丽萨没告诉他 |
[01:45] | Marissa didn’t tell him anything. | 玛丽萨只字未提 |
[01:47] | Anything? | 只字未提 |
[01:49] | He didn’t want to be disturbed. | 他不想被外界打扰 |
[01:50] | Until I got that text from him on Friday | 我和他一直没有联系过 |
[01:52] | saying he was ready to get back to work today, | 直到上周五他发短信告诉我 |
[01:55] | I had no contact with him. | 他准备好回来工作了 |
[01:57] | Wait, so he doesn’t know about you and your ex? | 他还不知道你和你前夫的事 |
[01:59] | And by the way, do you still call him | 顺便一提 你还叫他前任吗 |
[02:00] | your ex, even though he is no longer your ex? | 毕竟他已经不是你的前任了 |
[02:03] | Well, no. Now he’s her ex-ex. | 当然不了 他如今可是她的前前任 |
[02:05] | – Her ex-ex? – Better than her ex-lax. | – 前前任 – 总比续断弦好吧 |
[02:09] | Okay. Guys? Guys, I’m… I’m standing right here. | 喂 你们 我还在这呢 |
[02:21] | Hello? | 你好 |
[02:23] | Hi, this is EquiSafe Insurance. | 你好 我是全权保险公司的 |
[02:25] | Is Julia Summerfield there? | 请问朱莉娅·萨默菲尔德在吗 |
[02:27] | Uh, speaking. | 我就是 请讲 |
[02:29] | I’m sorry. Did I wake you? | 抱歉 我吵醒你了吗 |
[02:31] | What time is it where you are? | 您那里现在几点 |
[02:33] | Well, I’m in Elko, Nevada. | 我在内华达州州 埃尔科 |
[02:35] | It’s a little after 6:00 in the morning here. | 这里早上六点刚过 |
[02:37] | I’m sorry. I… I’m in New York. | 很抱歉 我在纽约 |
[02:38] | Sometimes I forget that anyone lives in a different time zone. | 我常常忘了人们处在不同时区 |
[02:42] | I… I’m calling about your case. Your review? | 我联系您是想告知您结果 复审的结果 |
[02:44] | No. I… I know. | 不用多说 我明白 |
[02:46] | I, um, I know why you’re calling. | 我知道你为何联系我 |
[02:49] | Um, I’m afraid I don’t have good news. | 很可惜 我要告诉你个坏消息 |
[02:52] | Uh, after carefully reviewing the case | 已经过五 六个专家的 |
[02:54] | with almost half a dozen specialists, | 仔细复审 |
[02:56] | we just can’t approve your liver transplant. | 我们不能批准你申请的肝脏移植 |
[03:00] | I’m sorry. | 很抱歉 |
[03:10] | Happy days | # 快乐的日子 # |
[03:14] | Are here again | # 又一次到来 # |
[03:16] | The skies above | # 头顶的天空 # |
[03:20] | Are clear again | # 又一次放晴 # |
[03:25] | So let’s sing a song of cheer again | # 让我们再次唱起欢歌 # |
[03:31] | Happy days are here again… | # 快乐的日子 又一次到来… # |
[03:39] | – There he is. – Here I am. | – 他回来了 – 我回来了 |
[03:42] | Ah, you look great, boss. | 你看起来很精神 老板 |
[03:43] | – Haven’t I always? – Oh, my God. | – 我不是一向如此吗 – 天呐 |
[03:45] | I’m so glad you’re back. | 你回来我真是太高兴了 |
[03:47] | Your name again? | 您是哪位 |
[03:49] | Believe it or not, I am so happy to see you. | 看到你平安无事 我真是太高兴了 |
[03:54] | And believe it or not, I am so happy to be seen. | 彼此彼此 |
[04:10] | Oh, excellent. | 真不错 |
[04:15] | He’s not back yet. | 他还没回来 |
[04:18] | You look fantastic. | 你看起来好极了 |
[04:20] | I’ll bet you say that to all the acute | 你对所有急性心肌梗塞的 |
[04:22] | myocardial infarction survivors. | 幸存者都这么说 |
[04:25] | And how are you feeling? | 你感觉如何 |
[04:28] | It’s hard to explain. | 一言难尽 |
[04:31] | Everything feels new, and a little brighter, but… | 一切都焕然一新 充满朝气 但… |
[04:35] | familiar and old and maybe a little worn at the same time. | 残留着一丝过往的气息 甚至更添陈旧的韵味 |
[04:41] | It’s good to be back. | 能回来真好 |
[04:44] | It’s good to have you here. | 你能回来真好 |
[04:48] | There’s something I think you should know. | 有件事得告诉你 |
[04:49] | Ooh. Surprises. | 看来有惊喜 |
[04:50] | Love ’em. And I have one for you, too. | 我喜欢 我也有惊喜要和你分享 |
[04:54] | I know while you were in Arizona recovering, | 你在亚利桑那州康复期间 |
[04:57] | you asked everyone to stay away. | 命令大家不许打扰你 |
[05:00] | Not reach out to you. | 不许联系你 |
[05:01] | No e-mail, no visits… | 不许发邮件 不许前去探视 |
[05:03] | Benny lost two cases. I know. They had Internet. | 我知道本尼输了两场官司 那里有网络 |
[05:05] | It was part of our recovery process. | 康复治疗的一个阶段 |
[05:07] | They teach you how to react to current events | 就是教导人们如何应对突发状况 |
[05:09] | and personal disappointments. | 以及不顺心之事 |
[05:12] | I got married. | 我结婚了 |
[05:15] | Well, actually, | 其实 |
[05:17] | remarried. | 是复婚了 |
[05:18] | Greg. Greg Valerian. | 和格雷格 格雷格·瓦莱里安 |
[05:20] | My first husband. | 我第一任丈夫 |
[05:22] | My only husband. | 也是唯一的一任 |
[05:23] | I was married to him while I was working in Homeland. | 十二年前 我在国安部工作时 |
[05:27] | 12 years ago. | 和他结了婚 |
[05:28] | B.B., before you, Before Bull. | 在认识你之前 |
[05:32] | And, well, it was Homeland. | 国安部嘛 |
[05:34] | I was always away… Iceland, Caracas, | 我总是远在他乡 冰岛 加拉加斯 |
[05:36] | Budapest. | 布达佩斯 |
[05:38] | He works in the restaurant business. | 而他在餐饮业工作 |
[05:40] | So he’s never away. | 不能随意离开 |
[05:42] | And you can fill in the rest. | 其余的你肯定能设想到 |
[05:44] | And it suddenly occurred to me: I have a different job. | 有一天我突然意识到 我的工作不同了 |
[05:48] | I’m in one place. | 不再四处奔波 |
[05:50] | So I called him up, we went for coffee, | 于是我给他打了电话 一起去喝了咖啡 |
[05:53] | and it was so… easy. | 一切就自然而然地发生了 |
[05:56] | Got married in one of his restaurants. | 我们在他经营的一家餐厅里结了婚 |
[05:59] | The gang was all there. | 大家都去了 |
[06:01] | Except you. | 除了你 |
[06:03] | And I want you to know I regret that. | 你没能在场 我一直觉得很遗憾 |
[06:12] | What’s it like? | 感觉如何 |
[06:16] | Everything looks new. | 一切都焕然一新 |
[06:18] | A little brighter, but familiar and old | 充满朝气 同时残留着一丝过往的气息 |
[06:22] | and maybe a little worn at the same time. | 甚至更添陈旧的韵味 |
[06:26] | What’s your surprise? | 你要告诉我什么惊喜 |
[06:31] | There’s a Marshall Hitchcock here to see you, | 有位叫马歇尔·希契科克的人来找你 |
[06:33] | from EquiSafe Insurance. | 是全权保险公司的 |
[06:35] | That’s my surprise. | 这就是我的惊喜 |
[06:37] | Is Cable gonna join? | 凯博会参加吗 |
[06:39] | I actually haven’t seen her today. Maybe she called in sick. | 我今天还没见过她 大概请病假了 |
[06:41] | Somebody give her a call after we’re through here. | 结束后 谁打个电话给她吧 |
[06:43] | Find out what’s going on. | 问问怎么回事 |
[06:45] | So, who do we have here? | 这次是什么案子 |
[06:48] | This is Julia Summerfield. | 这位是朱莉娅·萨默菲尔德. |
[06:50] | Lives in Nevada. | 住在内华达州 |
[06:52] | Married mother of two preschoolers. | 已婚 有两个还在上幼儿园的小孩 |
[06:53] | Works from her home doing data entry. | 在家做数据录入工作 |
[06:55] | During the birth of her youngest, | 第二次生产时 |
[06:58] | doctors discovered she had endometrial cancer. | 医生发现她得了子宫内膜癌 |
[07:01] | Soon as the baby was born, they put Julia on chemo. | 孩子一出生 她就开始化疗了 |
[07:04] | Then they operated, surgically removed the cancer. | 做了手术 切除肿瘤 |
[07:07] | Or so they thought. | 医生当时以为肿瘤已全部切除 |
[07:09] | It was only later that they realized | 直到后来才发现 |
[07:11] | the cancer spread to her liver. | 癌症已转移至肝脏 |
[07:13] | She went back into the hospital last year | 去年 她开始重新就医 |
[07:14] | for microwave treatments, | 进行微波治疗 |
[07:16] | and there was a horrible accident. | 结果发生了一起可怕的事故 |
[07:18] | The treatment left a hole in her liver | 治疗使她的肝脏出现破裂 |
[07:20] | the size of an apple. | 已有一个苹果的大小 |
[07:21] | My God. | 天呐 |
[07:22] | Given how badly her immune system had been taxed | 之前的癌症严重损伤了她的免疫系统 |
[07:25] | by her earlier cancers, her prognosis was pretty dire. | 医生预测她的病情十分严重 |
[07:30] | Without a liver transplant, | 若不进行肝脏移植 |
[07:31] | she was given only a year to a year and a half to live. | 她只剩一年到一年半的时间了 |
[07:34] | She filed a claim with her insurance company, | 她向保险公司提出索赔 |
[07:37] | EquiSafe Insurance, | 全权保险公司 |
[07:39] | to pay for the surgery, which costs somewhere | 要求保险公司承担 |
[07:42] | in the neighborhood of $400,000. | 约四十万美元的手术费 |
[07:44] | That was four months ago. | 那是四个月之前的事 |
[07:46] | This isn’t gonna end well, is it? | 结果不太好 对吧 |
[07:48] | And they denied her claim. | 他们驳回了她的诉求 |
[07:50] | In the meantime, she has filed suits against the hospital, | 与此同时 她对就医的医院 医生 |
[07:53] | the doctors, | 以及 |
[07:54] | the manufacturers of the equipment that malfunctioned. | 制造故障设备的厂家都提起了诉讼 |
[07:57] | But as you might imagine, all of those are going to take years | 但是你们也能想象到 这些诉讼都要花上 |
[07:59] | to make their way through the courts. | 好几年时间才会有结果 |
[08:01] | And since, at this point, she has little more than | 而她只有 |
[08:04] | three or four months to live, | 三 四个月的时间 |
[08:06] | she decided to file suit against her insurance company, | 于是她决定对保险公司 全权 |
[08:10] | EquiSafe, to pay for the operation. | 提起诉讼 要求他们负担手术的费用 |
[08:13] | Okay. So when do we get to meet our client? | 我们什么时候能见这位客户 |
[08:16] | He’s already here. He’s in Bull’s office. | 他已经到了 在布尔的办公室 |
[08:18] | He? I… I thought, uh… | 他吗 我以为… |
[08:22] | We’re not representing Mrs. Summerfield. | 我们代表的不是萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[08:23] | We’ll be working on behalf of the insurance company. | 我们将站在保险公司这一方 |
[08:38] | Hey. I left three messages for Cable, | 我已经给凯博留了三条留言 |
[08:41] | bunch of texts, and I just fired off an e-mail. | 发了一堆信息 刚刚又写了一封邮件 |
[08:43] | If she doesn’t make contact by the end of the day, | 要是今天还没联系上她 |
[08:45] | I’ll go by her place. | 我就直接去她家 |
[08:54] | Anybody here know how much | 有没有人知道 |
[08:56] | two million dollars a month is? | 一个月两百万美金是什么概念 |
[09:00] | Two million dollars a month. | 一个月两百万美金 |
[09:04] | Exactly right. | 没错 |
[09:06] | Two mil a month. | 一个月两百万 |
[09:07] | Roughly half a million a week, that’s a hundred grand a day. | 大概一周五十万 相当于每天十万 |
[09:12] | Sounds like a lot, right? But… | 听上去不少吧 但是… |
[09:15] | when you got 30-some employees, | 当你雇佣着三十几个员工 |
[09:18] | and you’re renting 6,000 square feet | 租赁位于曼哈顿中心地带 |
[09:20] | of prime Manhattan real estate, when you pay taxes, insurance, | 六千平方英尺的办公室 交税 付保险金 |
[09:24] | you have green drinks to pay for, | 购买昂贵的健康饮品 |
[09:27] | your team loses a couple of cases while you’re convalescing, | 在你康复期间 团队又输了几个案子 |
[09:30] | a guaranteed two mil a month | 每月若是有两百万的固定收入 |
[09:33] | makes a huge difference. | 情况就大不相同了 |
[09:35] | I only mention it because, when I was in Arizona, | 我之所以这么说是因为我在亚利桑那州 |
[09:37] | learning how to eat, not drink, exercise | 学习健康饮食 戒酒锻炼 |
[09:40] | and control my temper, | 如何控制暴躁情绪时 |
[09:43] | I met a man named Marshall Hitchcock. | 我认识了一个名叫马歇尔·希契科克的人 |
[09:45] | And for those of you not familiar, | 有些人也许还不太熟悉这个名字 |
[09:47] | he is the CEO of EquiSafe Insurance. | 他是全权保险公司的执行总裁 |
[09:50] | And watching him struggle with his recovery | 他坎坷的康复过程 |
[09:52] | made a huge impact on me. | 对我产生了深远的影响 |
[09:55] | And apparently, I made some kind of impact on him, | 显然 我也给他留下了很深的印象 |
[09:58] | because he asked if my firm… | 因为他想知道我的公司… |
[10:02] | our firm… would be interested | 我们的公司… 愿不愿意 |
[10:06] | in a two million dollar a month retainer. | 接下一个每月能带来两百万美元收入的客户 |
[10:11] | And with that in mind, | 希望大家铭记这点 |
[10:14] | I’d love you to meet our new client, | 然后热烈欢迎我们的新客户 |
[10:16] | Mr. Marshall Hitchcock. | 马歇尔·希契科克先生 |
[10:26] | Thank you for that. | 谢谢你 |
[10:28] | Crazy about your boss, by the way. | 顺便说一句 我也超爱你们的老板 |
[10:33] | Listen, uh, I know people hear “Insurance company”, | 我知道当人们听到”保险公司”这四个字时 |
[10:38] | and they, uh, roll their eyes. | 通常会翻白眼 |
[10:41] | But I have a secret. | 但我想告诉你们一个秘密 |
[10:43] | We actually provide an extraordinary service. | 我们提供的服务难能可贵 |
[10:46] | We actually do something great. | 我们所从事的事业十分伟大 |
[10:48] | And I personally know that now | 如今 我个人对此深有体会 |
[10:51] | because I just went through a horrible experience, | 不久前 我经历了一段非常痛苦的时期 |
[10:54] | and like your boss, I needed extraordinary care, | 和你们老板一样 我需要全方位的照料 |
[10:59] | and I got it. | 我有幸得到了这样的服务 |
[11:01] | And my insurance helped make that happen. | 这都归功于我的保险 |
[11:05] | Yeah. So, uh… | 所以说… |
[11:10] | Anyway, I… I’m gonna get out of here and let you folks | 就这样 我就不打扰你们 |
[11:12] | do what it is you do, but I just wanted to say hello | 工作了 我只是想和大家打个招呼 |
[11:15] | and, uh, tell you how much I’m looking forward | 告诉你们我有多期待 |
[11:17] | to working together. | 能和你们共事 |
[11:18] | Thank you. Thank you. All right. | 谢谢大家 也谢谢你 |
[11:24] | So, just to be clear, | 我强调一下 |
[11:26] | moving forward, EquiSafe Insurance | 接下来 全权保险公司 |
[11:28] | has first call on our services. | 将是我们的首要客户 |
[11:32] | And while we’re free to take on other cases, | 虽然我们也可以接其他的案子 |
[11:34] | they are the only insurance company | 但我们不会再代理 |
[11:36] | that we will be representing. | 其他保险公司了 |
[11:37] | Boss? | 老板 |
[11:38] | We hear you. I hear you. | 我们明白了 我明白了 |
[11:42] | And, uh, this sounds like a great thing for the company, | 这确实能让公司受益 |
[11:45] | but this… this first case is, um… | 但第一个案子… |
[11:51] | I sense some of you are upset about it. | 我能感觉到你们有些人不太愿意处理此案 |
[11:54] | I suspect you think we should be on the other side of this one, | 你们或许觉得我们本该站在受害者那边 |
[11:57] | that you’d rather be representing the woman, who, | 你们更希望能代表那位女士 |
[11:59] | through no fault of her own, lost the use of her liver | 她无辜无罪 却不幸丧失了肝功能 |
[12:02] | and almost certainly is going to lose her life. | 还将不久于人世 |
[12:05] | You want to go home at night, | 你们都希望一天结束后 |
[12:07] | feel good about yourself. | 对自己的所作所为 问心无愧 |
[12:10] | Plus, it’s kind of a slam dunk. | 更何况想要煽动陪审团 |
[12:13] | I mean, it’s not hard to find a jury, let alone mount a case, | 让他们对仗势欺人的保险公司心神厌恶 |
[12:17] | against a big, bad insurance company. | 简直小菜一碟 |
[12:20] | Of course one problem with that: she didn’t hire us. | 但问题的关键是 她并没有雇佣我们 |
[12:24] | The big, bad insurance company did, | 雇佣我们的正是仗势欺人的保险公司 |
[12:26] | and this is a business, | 我们所做的是生意 |
[12:29] | not a charity, so… | 而不是慈善 所以… |
[12:37] | Yeah, that heart attack really smoothed off the rough edges. | 那次心脏病当真磨平了他的棱角 |
[12:41] | Turned him into a pussycat. | 把他变成畏首畏尾的小猫咪 |
[12:49] | Maybe she just went out to get some coffee. | 说不定她只是出去买咖啡了 |
[12:53] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[12:56] | If you want, you could give me your number, | 不介意的话 你可以留下联系电话 |
[12:59] | and then if she comes back, I can let you know, or, | 她回来后 我便通知你 或者 |
[13:01] | you know, if I hear anything, I give you a call. | 如果有什么新情况 一定转告你 |
[13:06] | No? | 可以吗 |
[13:07] | And, you know, and then I… I’ll give you my number | 如果你还需要过来 |
[13:10] | if you need to get back in here again. | 我可以把我的号码给你 |
[13:11] | It’s simple. It’s not a problem. | 举手之劳 我完全不介意 |
[13:15] | Wait, so my friend is missing, and you’re hitting on me? | 我朋友失踪了 你却想泡我 |
[13:18] | I… No, I’m not hitting on you. | 我… 不是 我不是想泡你 |
[13:20] | I just… | 我只是… |
[13:20] | I mean, I know nothing about you. | 我完全不了解你 |
[13:22] | I mean, you know, you could be married for all I know. | 我连你结没结婚都不知道 |
[13:26] | I got to go. | 我要走了 |
[13:33] | Hello? | 你好 |
[13:35] | Marissa, sorry to wake you, but I was laying in bed | 玛丽萨 抱歉吵醒你了 我刚刚躺在床上 |
[13:38] | reviewing everything that happened today, | 回想今天发生的事情 |
[13:40] | and I realized I never said hi to Cable. | 我突然意识到我都没见到凯博 |
[13:42] | Was she even there? | 她有去公司吗 |
[13:43] | No. She wasn’t there. | 没有 |
[13:45] | I… I didn’t want to bother you with it, | 我也不想给你添麻烦 |
[13:48] | but nobody seems to be able to locate her. | 但似乎没有人能联系上她 |
[13:51] | Danny’s on it. The whole place is on it. | 丹尼在调查此事 我们都在找她 |
[13:54] | The second we hear from her or get some explanation… | 只要她联系我们 或是有什么消息… |
[13:59] | … I will let you know. | … 我一定马上告诉你 |
[14:01] | Well, I’ll give her a call the second you and I hang up. | 我一会就给她打电话 |
[14:03] | Bull, everybody’s been giving her a call every ten minutes. | 布尔 大家都在不停联系她 |
[14:08] | I… I’m sure there’s some kind of explanation. | 她不会无缘无故失联的 |
[14:10] | And… and the second I have it, I will share it with you. | 一有什么消息 我就立即联系你 |
[14:16] | Bull, it’s 1:30 in the morning. Where are you? | 布尔 现在是凌晨一点半 你在哪 |
[14:19] | – I’m in a cab. – Heading where? | – 我在出租车上 – 你要去哪 |
[14:22] | Nowhere, just driving around. | 随意逛逛而已 |
[14:24] | That sounds a little strange. Should I be concerned? | 你的语气似乎有点奇怪 出什么事了吗 |
[14:28] | Well, like I said, | 我真的只是睡不着 |
[14:30] | I couldn’t sleep, so I started to take a walk, | 打算出去散个步 |
[14:32] | and did you know there’s a bar | 你有注意到吗 这座城市 |
[14:34] | on almost every block of this city? | 几乎每个街区都有一个酒吧 |
[14:35] | Why, on some, there are even two or three. | 有些甚至有两 三个 |
[14:37] | So, anyway… | 所以… |
[14:40] | I realized walking wasn’t my safest option, | 我意识到 散步可不是个好选择 |
[14:42] | so I hailed a cab, | 所以就叫了辆出租车 |
[14:43] | and what do you know, it works. | 你猜怎么着 这真有奇效 |
[14:44] | By the time I see a bar, the car’s already moved past it, | 待我注意到时 车早已驶离了酒吧 |
[14:47] | and, uh, I’m safe. | 这样我就能保持戒酒了 |
[14:49] | Too late. Can’t go in. Damn, I’m smart. | 为时已晚 连进门的机会都没有 我可真聪明 |
[14:52] | Don’t you think | 你最好 |
[14:54] | maybe you could use some rest? You’re still on the mend. | 去休息一下 你还在康复期 |
[14:57] | Just say, | 你大可直说 |
[15:00] | “I need to get back in bed with my husband.” | “我要回去跟我丈夫一起睡觉了” |
[15:02] | I need to get back in bed with my husband. | 我要回去跟我丈夫一起睡觉了 |
[15:06] | Tell the team we need to meet at 9:00. | 告诉大家 早上九点见 |
[15:11] | Will do. | 遵命 |
[15:15] | Found out late last night that the plaintiff, | 昨晚深夜传来消息 |
[15:18] | Mrs. Summerfield, | 原告 萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[15:20] | moved for an emergency hearing | 因身体状况日渐恶化 |
[15:22] | based on her declining physical condition, | 申请进行紧急听证会 |
[15:24] | and the judge granted the motion, | 法官通过了这项动议 |
[15:26] | and we start voir dire tomorrow. | 明早开始审查陪审团 |
[15:28] | Okay. Talk us through it. | 说说具体情况吧 |
[15:31] | Well, to begin with, it’s a civil trial, | 首先 这是民事案件 |
[15:34] | which means we’re only looking at a six-person jury. | 陪审团只由六人组成 |
[15:36] | And for the plaintiff to win, | 原告必须获得 |
[15:38] | they require at least five of those jurors to agree with them, | 至少五位陪审员的支持才能胜诉 |
[15:41] | which means all we need to do | 所以我们只需 |
[15:42] | is to convince two people to side with us. | 说服其中两位站在我们这边 |
[15:47] | – Is that all? – Yeah. | – 就这些 – 对 |
[15:49] | Ah. So here we are, sitting in the courtroom, | 所以 在法庭上 |
[15:54] | Mrs. Summerfield behind the plaintiff’s table, | 原告席坐着萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[15:56] | a dying mother with a hole in her liver. | 一位肝脏破损 即将不久于人世的母亲 |
[15:59] | Who are these magical jurors we’re looking for, | 所以我们需要宁可 |
[16:01] | who are gonna see past | 弃一个将死之人于不顾 |
[16:02] | a dying human being pleading for her life | 转而同情我们的客户 一家保险公司的陪审员 |
[16:05] | and sympathize with our client, the insurance company? | 请问我们该如何下手 |
[16:08] | That sounds like a tall order for voir dire. | 这简直难于登天 |
[16:11] | Maybe. | 也许如此 |
[16:13] | Maybe not. | 也许并非如此 |
[16:14] | So what would you have me ask? | 你想让我如何提问 |
[16:16] | I would have you say… | 我想让你… |
[16:18] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[16:20] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[16:21] | – You a mother? – I am. | – 您是位母亲吗 – 是 |
[16:24] | So I gather, like the rest of us, you feel terrible | 那么您一定和我们一样 对萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[16:27] | for Mrs. Summerfield? | 深感同情 对吧 |
[16:31] | I do. | 的确 |
[16:32] | You okay if we play a game of pretend? | 我将说出一个假象情况 请您回答 |
[16:36] | Okay. | 好 |
[16:38] | So… | 假如 |
[16:40] | you’re standing at the edge of a dock. | 你正站在甲板的边缘 |
[16:42] | You can’t swim. | 但你不会有游泳 |
[16:43] | Two people in front of you are in the water, | 你眼前有两位落水的人 |
[16:46] | and they’re drowning. | 他们马上就要淹死了 |
[16:47] | You only have one life preserver. | 可你只有一件就救生衣 |
[16:49] | Who do you throw it to? | 你会把它扔向谁 |
[16:52] | Who do you throw it to? | 你会扔向谁 |
[16:53] | Well, you haven’t given me any information | 可你还没告诉我 |
[16:55] | about the people that are drowning. | 那两个落水之人的任何信息 |
[16:57] | I mean, how can you ask me to make that decision? | 这样我如何做决定 |
[16:59] | You have to make that decision. | 你必须做出决定 |
[17:01] | Two people in front of you are drowning. | 你眼前的两人就要淹死了 |
[17:03] | In three minutes, they’re going to be dead. | 他们只有三分钟了 |
[17:06] | You can ask me a question, I’ll tell you what I know, | 你可以向我提问 我会告知你他们的情况 |
[17:08] | but time’s a-wastin’. | 但时间不等人 |
[17:10] | Um, is one older than the other? | 其中一位年纪更大吗 |
[17:12] | From where you’re standing, | 从你的角度看 |
[17:14] | one appears to be in their 70s and the other one in their 20s. | 一位大约七十几岁 另一位二十出头 |
[17:17] | Well, I kind of have to save the 20-year-old, don’t I? | 那我肯定得就二十岁的那位 不是吗 |
[17:20] | I mean, he or she might have 50 or 60 more years. | 他或她也许还能活五六十年 甚至更久 |
[17:24] | The swimmer in their 70s, maybe ten. | 那位七十多岁的老人 也许只能十年的寿命了 |
[17:27] | Then do it, do it. Throw that life preserver. | 那就救他 救他吧 把救生衣扔给他 |
[17:32] | Okay. I did it. | 好 我扔下去了 |
[17:37] | Good for you. You just saved someone’s life. | 太好了 你挽救了一条生命 |
[17:40] | One more question. | 还有一个问题 |
[17:42] | Sure. | 请说 |
[17:43] | Would it be fair if I prosecute you | 如果我因谋杀那位七十岁老者的罪名 |
[17:45] | for the murder of the 70-year-old? | 起诉你 你觉得公平吗 |
[17:49] | No, no, that’s okay. | 没关系 |
[17:50] | You don’t have to answer that. | 你不用回答那个问题 |
[17:51] | This juror is acceptable to the defense, Your Honor. | 辩方接受这名陪审员 法官大人 |
[17:54] | You just got to do that two or three more times, | 你只需向两 三个人这样提问 |
[17:56] | and we got a jury we can win with. | 我们就能找到合适的陪审员 |
[18:00] | So having successfully treated Mrs. Summerfield | 成功治愈了萨默菲尔德夫人的 |
[18:03] | for her endometrial cancer, | 子宫内膜癌后 |
[18:04] | you realized the cancer had spread to her liver? | 您发现癌症已经扩散到了她的肝脏是吗 |
[18:07] | Yes, we discovered it in its earliest stages, | 是 我们发现时她还处于癌症初期 |
[18:09] | and really felt confident that we’d be able to treat it. | 当时我们有把握治愈她的疾病 |
[18:13] | And you used a technique called microwave ablation. | 您使用了一种名为微波消融的治疗手段 |
[18:15] | Can you explain how that works? | 能解释一下这种治疗的远离吗 |
[18:17] | I know how hard it was | 我知道想要 |
[18:18] | to put together a jury that would | 找到支持我方的陪审员很难 |
[18:20] | even consider the possibility that our client | 他们甚至根本 |
[18:22] | might be in the right, but at the moment, | 不会考虑这种可能性 就目前来看 |
[18:24] | I am seeing nothing but red. | 所有陪审员都不会支持我们 |
[18:26] | … with pinpoint amounts of microwaves. | 使用量度精准的微波 |
[18:29] | The microwave creates | 微波将产生 |
[18:31] | intense heat, just like it does in an oven, | 强烈热流 如同微波炉那样 |
[18:33] | and that heat kills the cancer. | 这股热流就能杀死癌细胞 |
[18:35] | But that didn’t happen with Mrs. Summerfield. | 但这并没有发生在萨默菲尔德夫人身上 |
[18:38] | No. | 对 |
[18:40] | Our instruments malfunctioned, and we delivered | 仪器发生了故障 释放了过多热量 |
[18:43] | about 40 times the level of heat that was required, | 比所需数值高出四十倍 |
[18:46] | and ended up destroying a vast portion of her liver. | 导致她的肝脏大面积受损 |
[18:50] | And is there a way to rectify that? | 有办法修复吗 |
[18:52] | Not really. | 没有 |
[18:53] | Not short of getting her a new liver. | 除非得到新的肝源 |
[18:55] | Which you’d like to see happen? | 你希望她得到吗 |
[18:56] | I would. In fact, even though Mrs. Summerfield | 当然 即使萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[19:00] | is suing us for malpractice, I… | 正因失职而起诉我们 我… |
[19:02] | my whole team has offered to waive their fees. | 我的团队已经免除她的所有治疗费用 |
[19:06] | Anything to make her surgery possible. | 只要能让她做手术 我们什么都愿意做 |
[19:09] | And the hospital where we performed the procedure | 进行手术的医院 |
[19:11] | has indicated they, too, would like to help out, | 也表示同意 |
[19:14] | waive certain costs. | 免除一部分费用 |
[19:15] | So if everyone is pitching in, | 既然大家都愿意出一份力 |
[19:17] | if everyone wants to see this happen, | 都想为她争取到匹配的肝源 |
[19:19] | what is standing in the way of Mrs. Summerfield | 为何萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[19:21] | getting the new liver she requires? | 却无法得到所需肝源 |
[19:23] | Well, you can’t just order them up on Amazon Prime. | 肝脏毕竟无法轻易获得 |
[19:26] | They’re harvested from healthy people | 所有肝源都来自猝然离世的 |
[19:28] | who meet an untimely end | 健康人 |
[19:30] | and whose families are willing to donate them, | 同时还需要家属的许可 |
[19:32] | which makes their availability | 因此找到肝源的可供性 |
[19:33] | unpredictable. | 是无法预测的 |
[19:35] | Also, not just any liver will do. | 而且并非所有肝脏都可行 |
[19:37] | The liver has to be carefully matched to the patient, | 移植所需的肝脏必须和患者相匹配 |
[19:39] | or the patient’s body rejects it. | 否则将产生排斥反应 |
[19:41] | All of which makes the process of finding a liver | 寻找肝源 进行检测 后续追踪 |
[19:44] | and all the necessary testing and follow-up | 这一系列治疗 |
[19:46] | very, very time-consuming | 都及其耗时 |
[19:48] | – and very expensive. – How expensive? | – 且非常昂贵 – 有多贵 |
[19:50] | Anywhere from $400,000 to $500,000. | 需要四十到五十万美元 |
[19:59] | And without that transplant, | 如果不进行移植手术 |
[20:01] | how long is Mrs. Summerfield expected to live? | 萨默菲尔德夫人还能活多久 |
[20:04] | Honey, you ready to go? | 亲爱的 我们出去吧 |
[20:05] | Come on. Get you out of here. | 走吧 |
[20:10] | We love you. | 我们爱你 |
[20:12] | Love you. | 我也爱你们 |
[20:14] | Come on, Squirt, you’re with me. | 过来 斯阔特 跟我走 |
[20:16] | – Go with Daddy. – We’ll get you out of here. | – 跟爸爸出去吧 – 我带你出去 |
[20:28] | I know it’s not technically possible, | 我知道这基本不可能 |
[20:30] | but I’d almost swear | 但我发誓六位 |
[20:32] | our six red jurors got even redder. | 反对的陪审员如今对我们的客户深恶痛绝 |
[20:42] | Will the witness please answer the question? | 证人请回答问题 |
[20:48] | Without a transplant, | 如果不进行移植手术 |
[20:50] | I believe life expectancy is roughly four months. | 我认为预期寿命大概有四个月 |
[20:55] | Four months. | 只有四个月 |
[20:57] | 16 weeks. | 十六周 |
[21:01] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有问题了 法官大人 |
[21:08] | Thank you for your testimony, Dr. Bendry. | 本瑞德医生 谢谢您出庭作证 |
[21:11] | Appreciate you taking the time to be here, | 感谢您愿意为此事抽出宝贵的时间 |
[21:13] | and appreciate you offering your services for free | 也感谢你们愿意免费提供治疗 |
[21:17] | to try to undo the horrible situation | 尽己所能来修复 |
[21:19] | that Mrs. Summerfield finds herself in. | 萨默菲尔德夫人受损的肝脏 |
[21:20] | You’re welcome. | 不用谢 |
[21:22] | Just… one question. | 我只有一个问题 |
[21:26] | What if it was suddenly possible | 假如突然有机会 |
[21:29] | for Mrs. Summerfield to have the operation | 为萨默菲尔德夫人进行所需的手术 |
[21:32] | you’re saying she needs? | 会是怎样的光景 |
[21:34] | We find her a liver, everything is paid for, | 假如出现了匹配的肝脏 她也不必支付医疗费 |
[21:37] | the operation’s a success… | 手术一切顺利的话 |
[21:39] | How long would you estimate that she would live? | 你估计她会活多久 |
[21:43] | Ten years, 20 years, 30 years? | 十年 二十年 可能三十年 |
[21:46] | Objection. Counsel is asking the witness to speculate. | 反对 被告律师在引导证人推测 |
[21:48] | The counsel is asking the witness | 我是在依据他的专业知识 |
[21:50] | for his expertise, Your Honor. | 提问的 法官大人 |
[21:53] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[21:57] | The witness will answer the question. | 证人请回答问题 |
[22:00] | Three years. Maybe three and a half. | 三年 或许三年半 |
[22:04] | The first cancer took a terrible toll on her, | 第一次癌症给她的身体造成了巨大损伤 |
[22:06] | and now this second one… | 而这次的… |
[22:08] | So 36 months, maybe 42. | 所以是三十六个月 也许四十二个月 |
[22:13] | And how much did you say the operation would cost? | 您之前说手术费用是多少来着 |
[22:17] | Between 400,000 and 500,000. | 四十万到五十万美元 |
[22:19] | Half a million? | 五十万 |
[22:24] | Got it. | 了解 |
[22:25] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[22:31] | Nice. | 做得好 |
[22:33] | Chunk, Danny and I | 特朗科 丹尼和我 |
[22:34] | all really thought it was a huge mistake | 都认为给一个女人的生命明码标价 |
[22:36] | to put a price tag on the woman’s life, | 是一个巨大的错误 |
[22:38] | but then I just looked up, | 但我刚刚看了一下 |
[22:40] | and one of our red jurors actually turned green. | 一位原本反对的陪审员改变看法了 |
[22:43] | Now the trick is | 关键在于 |
[22:44] | not to lose him or her along the way. | 我们能否留住这位陪审员 |
[22:47] | Let’s talk about 42 months. | 我们来谈谈四十二个月吧 |
[22:49] | Some people might argue that that doesn’t seem like | 也许有人认为 这并不是一段 |
[22:51] | a very long time, | 很长的时间 |
[22:53] | particularly given how scarce livers are… | 尤其是在肝源如此短缺 |
[22:54] | how much it will cost to do the surgery. | 且手术费过高的前提下 |
[22:58] | In 42 months, | 四十二个月后 |
[23:00] | my five-year-old son will be in third grade. | 我五岁的儿子就要上三年级了 |
[23:04] | If I get 42 more months, | 如果我能多活四十二个月 |
[23:06] | I’ll be able to see him walk to school | 我还能在接下来的几年里 |
[23:08] | through all four seasons of the year | 目送他 |
[23:10] | another couple hundred times. | 背着书包去上学 |
[23:12] | I could help him learn to read, | 我可以教他阅读 |
[23:15] | show him how to tie his shoes. | 系鞋带 |
[23:19] | And my little girl, Maura, | 还有我的小女儿 莫拉 |
[23:21] | she’ll be in first grade. | 她那时就上一年级了 |
[23:24] | We’ll get to buy school supplies together, | 我们可以一起去买文具 |
[23:27] | make Halloween costumes. | 做万圣节的服装 |
[23:30] | I could teach her how to brush her hair. | 我可以教她梳头 |
[23:35] | It’s three more Christmases and six more birthday parties. | 可以和他们共度三次圣诞节 六次生日派对 |
[23:42] | Maybe I’ll get to see them ride bikes and ice skate | 也许我还能看到他们骑自行车 滑冰 |
[23:48] | and swim with floaties. | 带着游泳圈去游泳 |
[23:51] | Maybe even without. | 或许那时他们已经学会游泳了 |
[23:56] | But most of all, | 最重要的是 |
[23:59] | I’ll be able to kiss them good night | 我还能在无数个夜晚 |
[24:01] | over a thousand times more. | 亲吻他们入眠的睡脸 |
[24:07] | We have no further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[24:09] | Very well, then… | 好 |
[24:10] | let’s take a 20-minute recess. | 休庭二十分钟 |
[24:15] | Hi, guys. Come here. | 过来 |
[24:18] | Hello. | 宝贝们 |
[24:20] | How are you guys? | 你们还好吗 |
[24:22] | I’ll be right back. I’m gonna pay for parking. | 我去交一下停车费 马上回来 |
[24:23] | Okay. | 好 |
[24:24] | How are you guys doing? | 你们玩得如何 |
[24:25] | Is Daddy taking good care of you out here in the hall? | 爸爸在走廊有照顾好你们吗 |
[24:28] | Yes. | 有 |
[24:29] | Good. | 那就好 |
[24:30] | – I have to go to the bathroom. – Right now? | – 我想去洗手间 – 现在吗 |
[24:34] | Honey, Daddy just went to go put money in the meter. | 宝贝 爸爸去交停车费了 |
[24:37] | Can you wait till he gets back? | 你能等到他回来吗 |
[24:39] | No, I have to go right now. | 不行 我现在就得去 |
[24:42] | But, honey, I can’t take you in the men’s room, | 宝贝 但我不能陪你进男洗手间 |
[24:43] | and you’re too big to go in the ladies’ room, | 而你也早就过了进女洗手间的年龄了 |
[24:45] | and this is New York City. | 更何况这里是纽约 |
[24:46] | You know, I can take him. | 我可以带他去 |
[24:48] | I couldn’t help but overhear. | 抱歉 我不小心听到了 |
[24:51] | I could take him to the men’s. I’ll keep an eye on him. | 我可以带他去男洗手间 我会看好他的 |
[24:55] | – You okay in there? – Yes. | – 一切都还好吗 – 很好 |
[24:58] | Don’t forget to flush. | 别忘记冲水 |
[25:04] | All right. Wash your hands. | 好了 洗手 |
[25:07] | There’s the soap. | 这有洗手液 |
[25:08] | Attaboy. | 真乖 |
[25:10] | Are you a friend of my mommy? | 你是我妈妈的朋友吗 |
[25:13] | Uh… no. Not really. | 不算是 |
[25:17] | But you like her, right? | 但你喜欢她 对吗 |
[25:21] | My daddy says my mommy’s job is to make sure everybody | 爸爸说妈妈的职责就是让每个人 |
[25:24] | in that room likes her. | 都喜欢上她 |
[25:37] | I want to start the case tomorrow by putting Hitchcock | 明天我想先让希区柯克出庭作证 |
[25:39] | on the stand, try and get the jury to understand | 让陪审团明白面对这种情况 |
[25:42] | what goes into making a decision like this. | 保险公司是如何决断的 |
[25:45] | Okay. | 好 |
[25:46] | I know what to do with that. Then what? | 我知道怎么做 然后呢 |
[25:49] | Well, God may get me for saying this, but… | 这么说也许会遭天谴 但… |
[25:51] | – do we go after the mother? – What do you mean? | – 我们可以攻击那位母亲吗 – 什么意思 |
[25:53] | Well, I’m just saying maybe she contributed | 病情之所以加重 |
[25:56] | to her current condition somehow. | 她也有一定责任 |
[25:57] | – Drinking or drugs or… – She didn’t. | – 喝酒 吸毒或者… – 她没有 |
[26:00] | I checked. She’s a church girl. | 我查过了 她是个虔诚的教徒 |
[26:02] | – Clean as a whistle. – And even if she wasn’t, | – 没有任何污点 – 即便她本身有错 |
[26:04] | we don’t want to go after a dying mother | 我们也不该去攻击一个肝脏受损 |
[26:06] | with a hole in her liver. | 即将不久于人世的母亲 |
[26:07] | Not gonna win any hearts and minds that way. | 那样可无法赢得陪审员的支持 |
[26:09] | Hear, hear. | 正是 |
[26:10] | I’m just trying to do my job. | 我只是提个建议 |
[26:13] | Although… | 不过… |
[26:16] | how many people our there are waiting for liver transplants? | 现在有多少人在等着做肝脏移植 |
[26:20] | There are currently 17,000 people | 目前有一万七千人 |
[26:22] | waiting for a liver transplant. | 在等待肝脏移植 |
[26:24] | And, on average, how long do they have to wait? | 平均要等待多久才能找到合适的肝源 |
[26:27] | Last time they counted, the average wait time | 据统计 等待时间大约是 |
[26:30] | was 321 days. | 321天 |
[26:32] | Reach out to EquiSafe Insurance. | 联系全权保险公司 |
[26:34] | Get me the names of everyone waiting for a liver, | 列一份所有等待肝脏移植患者的名单 |
[26:37] | how long they’re expected to live | 包括他们的预期寿命 |
[26:38] | and how long they’ve been waiting. | 和已等待的时间 |
[26:39] | And also, get me the names of everyone | 另外再列出一份未能 |
[26:42] | who was waiting for a liver, | 及时找到合适肝源而去世的 |
[26:44] | but didn’t make it. | 患者名单 |
[27:01] | How’s it going on the Cable front? | 凯博有什么消息了吗 |
[27:03] | Uh, well, she’s | 她今天 |
[27:05] | officially on the FBI’s list of missing persons | 已经正式上了联邦调查局的 |
[27:08] | as of today. | 失踪名单 |
[27:09] | Her mom’s, uh, a mess. | 她妈妈的状况很糟 |
[27:13] | But, um, I have one more idea | 我还有一个办法 |
[27:15] | that I’m… I’m gonna try tomorrow. | 明天就去试试 |
[27:18] | Well, let me know if there’s anything I can do to help. | 有什么需要我帮忙的 尽管说 |
[27:21] | Let her mother know. | 也告知她妈妈一声 |
[27:27] | I can’t reach anyone at EquiSafe, | 我目前联系不上全权保险公司的人 |
[27:29] | but I will jump back on it | 明天早上 |
[27:31] | first thing in the morning. | 我会继续联系 |
[27:35] | How’s married life treating you? | 婚姻生活如何 |
[27:38] | Come on, let me have it. | 告诉我吧 |
[27:41] | I know you’ve been dying to give it to me all day. | 我知道你已经忍了一天了 |
[27:43] | Married life is good, thank you very much. | 我的婚姻生活很美满 多谢关心 |
[27:45] | I highly recommend it. | 结婚是件好事 |
[27:47] | Yeah, I really think it’s gonna catch on. | 这说不定会成为一种潮流 |
[27:50] | Are you mad at me for getting remarried? | 你因为我复婚而在生气吗 |
[27:52] | Mm. Maybe a little jealous. | 大概有些许嫉妒 |
[27:56] | Not like that. | 不是你想的那样 |
[27:57] | Not jealous of your husband, | 不是嫉妒你丈夫 |
[27:59] | jealous… of your happiness? | 而是嫉妒… 你所获得的幸福 |
[28:05] | Well, I don’t know what to do about that, Jason. | 杰森 对此我可束手无策 |
[28:11] | You know, when I was lying there on those courthouse steps, | 当我倒在法院台阶上时 |
[28:14] | with this elephant sitting on my chest… | 胸口仿佛压着一块巨石 |
[28:20] | I kept hearing this voice in my head. | 我的脑海中一直萦绕着一个声音 |
[28:24] | It was my ex-wife, telling me that I’m no good alone. | 是我前妻的声音 她说我不适合一个人 |
[28:31] | She said that to me a week before she got married again. | 她对我说完这句话的一周后就再婚了 |
[28:35] | I’m starting to think she might be right. | 我开始意识到她或许是对的 |
[28:39] | You really hate this case, don’t you? | 看来你真的很讨厌这个案子 对吧 |
[28:42] | We all do. | 大家都如此 |
[28:44] | We all keep thinking, | 我们都在想 |
[28:44] | “What if it were us?” | “如果这样的悲剧发生在自己身上呢” |
[28:46] | Three more years with the people you love. | 能与所爱之人共渡三年时光 |
[28:50] | How do you put a price on that? | 你要如何衡量这一价值 |
[28:54] | No. I’m sorry. | 我失言了 |
[28:57] | You’re being myopic. | 你的目光过于短浅 |
[28:58] | It’s about the greater good. | 这是为了公共利益 |
[28:59] | It’s about resources. | 这事关资源分配 |
[29:02] | It’s about making sure that there’s something for everyone. | 为了保障每个人的利益 |
[29:08] | And the simple fact is that everyone can’t have everything. | 但其实并非每个人都能获得想要的一切 |
[29:13] | I know, ’cause I just went through… | 我深知这一道理 因为我经历了… |
[29:15] | I knew what you went through. | 我知道你经历了什么 |
[29:18] | I cried for weeks. | 我为此哭了好几周 |
[29:20] | I prayed for weeks. | 也祈祷了好几周 |
[29:23] | But Jason, what happened to you | 但 杰森 你所经历的一切 |
[29:26] | has nothing to do with the rest of us. | 和我们无关 |
[29:30] | How could you say that? | 你怎么能这么说 |
[29:33] | ‘Cause you’re rich. | 因为你有钱 |
[29:37] | And yes, everybody gets it, everybody can’t have everything, | 每个人都明白自己无法拥有想要的一切 |
[29:40] | but it sure seems like people like you, | 但你这样的人 |
[29:43] | people like Mr. Hitchcock | 希契科克先生那样的人 |
[29:46] | always manage to get theirs. | 总能拥有想要之物 |
[29:52] | I will do my best to get you all that data from EquiSafe | 明天一早 我会竭尽全力从全权保险公司 |
[29:55] | first thing in the morning. | 拿到你想要的数据 |
[30:03] | Look, I understand this is a heartbreaking situation. | 我知道如今的情况是多么悲恸 |
[30:06] | It is no fun to sit here | 当着萨默菲尔德夫人的面 |
[30:07] | and look Mrs. Summerfield in the eye and say no. | 拒绝她也让我于心不忍 |
[30:12] | But according to our actuaries | 但根据我们的审计师 |
[30:15] | and our medical experts, the chance for success is so low | 和医学专家的分析 手术的成功率过低 |
[30:19] | and the chance for extended life is so small | 延长生命的可能性很小 |
[30:22] | that it would be irresponsible | 若是我们一意孤行 |
[30:24] | for us to pay this claim and allow this to go forward. | 支付了手术费 这将是严重的失职行为 |
[30:28] | And can you explain that? | 能请您解释一下吗 |
[30:30] | When you start | 我们若是 |
[30:31] | approving what amount to Hail Mary medical procedures, | 同意为这场如同背水一战的手术支付费用 |
[30:36] | it inevitably drives up premiums, so that people | 这势必会导致保额增加 |
[30:39] | with legitimate claims can’t afford to even buy insurance, | 那些有正当需求的人们就会买不起保险 |
[30:43] | much less file a claim. | 更不会有机会向保险公司索赔 |
[30:46] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有问题了 法官大人 |
[30:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:50] | You may step down. | 你可以退席了 |
[30:54] | Do these people give a damn about this? | 陪审员对这段证词有何反应吗 |
[30:57] | They certainly don’t appear to. | 看起来没有 |
[31:00] | Got it. | 知道了 |
[31:02] | And going forward, I’d appreciate it if you’d reel in | 如果你能控制一下这幸灾乐祸的心情 |
[31:05] | your sense of self-satisfaction. | 我一定感激不尽 |
[31:09] | Mr. Toliver, how long have you been waiting for a liver? | 托利弗先生 您等待肝脏移植多久了 |
[31:12] | Going on 11 months. | 十一个月了 |
[31:13] | So you’ve been waiting seven months. And forgive me, | 所以您已经等了七个月了 恕我冒昧 |
[31:16] | are you married? | 请问您结婚了吗 |
[31:17] | No. Although I hope to be, some day. | 没有 不过我希望将来能够结婚 |
[31:20] | – Obviously, no kids? – Again, | – 没有孩子 对吧 – 不过我希望 |
[31:22] | maybe someday, once I find my liver. | 将来能生养孩子 只要我能得到匹配的肝脏 |
[31:24] | If they get to me, in time. | 如果能在有限的时间里轮到我接受移植 |
[31:27] | 19 months. | 十九个月 |
[31:29] | So you’ve been waiting | 您已经等待了十九个月 |
[31:30] | 19 months for your liver. | 却依旧没有合适的肝源 |
[31:31] | And what’s your life expectancy | 若是得到匹配的肝脏 |
[31:32] | if you get one? | 您的预计寿命是多久 |
[31:33] | I’ve been told 30 to 35 years. | 医生说有三十到三十五年 |
[31:36] | I’ve been told I could live another 50 years. | 医生说我还可以再活五十年 |
[31:38] | I was told 50 to 60 years. | 五十到六十年 |
[31:45] | Talk to me. | 情况如何 |
[31:46] | I would, but there’s nothing to say. | 没什么进展 |
[31:53] | Yeah? | 什么事 |
[31:56] | Hi. | 你好 |
[31:57] | Um, I need to get into my friend’s apartment again. | 我需要再进一次我朋友的公寓 |
[32:04] | Whoa, okay. You’re just going to take that? | 你打算直接把这个拿走吗 |
[32:07] | I’m not taking anything. | 我不会拿走任何东西 |
[32:08] | I… I don’t think I can let you do that. | 我不能让你这么做 |
[32:12] | Yes, you can. | 你可以 |
[32:13] | Technically, it belongs to my boss; he paid for it. | 严格来说 这属于我老板 是他付钱买的 |
[32:15] | Okay, but I’m… I’m supposed to just take your word for it? | 我就应该对你的话听之任之吗 |
[32:19] | Hey, my friend has fallen off the face of the Earth, okay? | 我的朋友人间蒸发了 |
[32:22] | She’s vanished. | 消失不见了 |
[32:23] | That doesn’t just happen. | 这其中一定有原因 |
[32:26] | I need to look through this computer | 我要查查这台电脑 |
[32:28] | and I need to figure out what’s going on. | 搞清楚到底发生了什么 |
[32:31] | Okay, look, hey. Listen. | 听着 |
[32:33] | Do what you want, okay? | 请随意 |
[32:35] | But for what it’s worth, it does happen, okay? | 但老实说 这样的事确实会发生 |
[32:37] | People do vanish. | 有些人会平白无故地消失 |
[32:39] | They make themselves disappear all the time. | 动不动人间蒸发 |
[32:42] | Whatever you say. | 随你怎么说 |
[32:47] | Mrs. McCrory, hi. | 麦克罗里夫人 你好 |
[32:49] | You know, I’m actually standing | 我现在就在 |
[32:50] | in your daughter’s apartment right now. | 你女儿的公寓里 |
[32:54] | I’m sorry, you want me to turn on the television? | 抱歉 你是让我打开电视吗 |
[32:57] | Channel three? | 三号频道 |
[32:59] | Okay. | 好 |
[33:01] | Uh, Mrs. McCro… | 麦克罗里夫… |
[33:04] | If you are just joining us, | 刚刚打开电视的观众 |
[33:05] | updating our top story, | 千万不要错过我们的头条新闻 |
[33:07] | once again repeating the New Jersey state medical examiner | 复述一遍 新泽西州政府的验尸官 |
[33:10] | is now confirming that there were 37 fatalities | 现已确认有三十七人死亡 |
[33:13] | in that I-99 bridge collapse earlier this week. | 本周早些天 I-99大桥发生坍塌事故 |
[33:17] | Additionally, state investigators now believe | 另外 政府调查人员 |
[33:20] | they have recovered and identified all the remains | 已从海湾中找到遗体并一一进行了身份确认 |
[33:23] | from the bay and are in the process of notifying next of kin. | 目前正在通知死者家属 |
[33:26] | This is a late breaking news story. | 以上就是最新的突发新闻 |
[33:28] | Keep it right here on this news channel for all the details. | 不要换台 请听详细报道 |
[33:30] | I’m Logan Crawford, reporting live. | 我是洛根·克劳福德记者 现场报道 |
[33:40] | Oh, my God. | 天呐 |
[33:42] | Don’t. | 别碰我 |
[34:01] | This is Powell. 23 years old. | 这是鲍威尔 二十三岁 |
[34:05] | Waited two years and succumbed to his illness | 在经过了两年漫长的等待 |
[34:08] | before a liver could be located | 依旧没有匹配的肝源出现 |
[34:10] | and the transplant successfully performed. | 最终不治身亡 |
[34:12] | This is Naomi. After waiting 14 months, | 这是直见 经历了十四个月的煎熬后 |
[34:18] | a matching liver was finally identified | 匹配的肝脏终于 |
[34:21] | and transported to her hospital. | 被送往她所在的一员 |
[34:24] | She actually, um, passed away while in prep for her procedure. | 可她却在手术准备过程中不幸身亡 |
[34:27] | Objection. That’s a tragic story, | 反对 这的确是一个悲伤的故事 |
[34:29] | but I fail to see the relevance. | 但这与此案毫无关系 |
[34:32] | Mr. Colón? | 科隆先生 |
[34:33] | Your Honor, the defense is simply trying to make the point | 法官大人 辩方想通过这些案例证明 |
[34:37] | that livers, matching livers, are limited commodities, | 肝脏 尤其是匹配的肝脏 是极为稀有的 |
[34:41] | that many people with greater life expectancies | 许多患者经历了比原告更长的等待时间 |
[34:45] | have been waiting far longer than the plaintiff | 他们若是得以治愈 也将获得更长的寿命 |
[34:48] | who seems to feel that she’s entitled… | 而原告却认为她有权… |
[34:50] | This isn’t about entitlement. | 这分明是混淆视听 |
[34:52] | This isn’t about jumping the line. | 这与是否插队无关 |
[34:54] | If she doesn’t get the operation | 如果她不在十二周内 |
[34:55] | in the next 12 weeks, she is going to die. | 接受移植手术 等待她的只有死亡 |
[34:58] | And you know what? If she dies, | 只要她死了 |
[35:00] | these people save a lot of money. | 这些人就能省下一大笔钱 |
[35:02] | Make no mistake, this is about money. | 正是如此 这一切都和金钱息息相关 |
[35:04] | We should be identifying livers right now. | 我们本应该即刻开始寻找肝源 |
[35:06] | We should be testing livers right now. | 进行肝脏配型 |
[35:09] | What is insurance for | 若保险都不能在这种时候发挥作用 |
[35:11] | if not for that? | 它究竟何用之有 |
[35:12] | Exactly! | 正是 |
[35:21] | Mr. Colón, unless you have something else | 科隆先生 除非你有其他 |
[35:24] | substantive to offer… | 实质性的证据… |
[35:25] | Oh, come on, Your Honor! The plaintiff’s lawyer just gave | 拜托 法官大人 原告的律师刚刚分明是在做 |
[35:29] | a closing statement, for God’s sakes. | 结案陈词 |
[35:30] | I’m going to ask you to wrap this up. | 请立刻结束提问 |
[35:39] | Of course, Your Honor. The defense rests. | 当然 法官大人 辩方没有问题了 |
[35:46] | I have a confession to make. | 我有事要坦白 |
[35:49] | I’m not sure I’m cut out for this. | 我不确定我能搞定此事 |
[35:50] | It’s not fun stuff. | 这毕竟不是儿戏 |
[35:52] | People wonder why it pays so much. | 也许有人不明白为何我所出的佣金这么高 |
[35:54] | Obviously, it’s to win, | 很明显 是为了赢 |
[35:56] | but also it’s hard finding somebody willing to do it. | 但要找到愿意处理此事的人也同样困难 |
[35:59] | So, you know juries. | 你对陪审团了如指掌 |
[36:02] | – What are our odds? – Not very good. | – 我们的情况如何 – 不容乐观 |
[36:05] | Anything can happen during deliberations. | 陪审团讨论 一切皆有可能 |
[36:07] | We have no way of monitoring them, but in all likelihood… | 我们无法监控他们 但如今看来… |
[36:17] | What’s that? | 这是什么 |
[36:18] | Your fee for the month. | 这个月的报酬 |
[36:20] | Well, the month’s not over. | 这个月还没结束 |
[36:21] | Case isn’t over and I’m pretty sure | 此案还未结束 而且我还没完成 |
[36:22] | – I didn’t do the job you hired me to do. – Take it. | – 我还没完成自己的工作 – 拿着吧 |
[36:28] | You know, that lady’s lawyer isn’t wrong. | 那位女律师说得对 |
[36:30] | Money is important. | 钱很重要 |
[36:33] | And sometimes it can even make you feel better about things | 有时金钱甚至能改变一个人对事物的看法 |
[36:35] | you might otherwise regret. | 将不光彩之事正当化 |
[36:50] | Marissa. | 玛丽萨 |
[36:58] | What are you trying to do, give me another heart attack? | 你在做什么 你还想让我的心脏病再次发作吗 |
[37:02] | Where is everybody? | 大家都去哪了 |
[37:04] | They were all pretty upset. | 他们都特别沮丧 |
[37:07] | I told them that I’d wait here for you. | 我告诉我会在这等你 |
[37:12] | You remember that bridge that collapsed | 你记得上周在新泽西州 |
[37:14] | in New Jersey last week? | 坍塌的大桥吗 |
[37:18] | Cable was on it. | 凯博当时在那座桥上 |
[37:22] | She was in a car, car she rented. | 她当时开着租赁车 |
[37:26] | Anyway… | 总之… |
[37:29] | they found her in the bay under 30 feet of water. | 他们在水下三十英尺处找到了她 |
[37:35] | And they identified her remains this morning. | 今早鉴定了她的遗体 |
[37:42] | I need to sit down. | 我最好坐下听 |
[37:54] | Everybody knows? Her mother knows? | 大家都知道了吗 她妈妈知道吗 |
[37:56] | Everybody knows. | 大家都知道了 |
[37:59] | What are you gonna do? | 你打算怎么做 |
[38:01] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[38:04] | Cry, maybe. | 也许大哭一场吧 |
[38:07] | You want me to hang? | 需要我留下来吗 |
[38:10] | No. | 不用了 |
[38:13] | I don’t think I like the idea of you being alone. | 我觉得此刻最好不要让你独处 |
[38:15] | I’m… I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[38:17] | Are you sure? | 你确定 |
[38:18] | You’re not gonna do something stupid, | 你不会做蠢事吧 |
[38:21] | like go get a drink? | 比如喝酒 |
[38:24] | I have a system for that. | 我应对办法 |
[38:26] | Uh, as long as I have taxi money, I have a system. | 只要我有坐出租车的钱 我就有办法 |
[38:33] | Seriously, I’m… I’m fine. | 真的 我没事 |
[38:39] | You can go. | 你可以走了 |
[38:43] | I’ll be all right. | 我不会有事的 |
[39:02] | Has the jury reached a verdict? | 请问陪审团作出统一裁决了吗 |
[39:05] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[39:10] | We, the jury, find for the defendant, | 陪审团支持被告 |
[39:12] | EquiSafe Insurance. | 全权保险公司 |
[39:16] | The court thanks you for your service. | 本庭感谢你们的付出 |
[39:18] | I got you, I got you. | 我在 我在 |
[39:20] | – It’s okay. – No! | – 没事的 – 不 |
[39:22] | We’ll fight this. | 我们还可以上诉 |
[39:26] | We got two jurors. | 我们成功说服了两位陪审员 |
[39:29] | Not among the mirror jurors, | 虽然没能说服镜面陪审员 |
[39:31] | but among the ones actually sitting in the jury box. | 但却说服了法庭上真正的陪审员 |
[39:34] | I knew it. | 我知道 |
[39:36] | I knew it. | 我就知道 |
[39:38] | I knew you’d be great at this. | 我就知道你能行 |
[39:39] | Look, I know you said | 听着 我知道你说过 |
[39:41] | this wasn’t for you, but, uh, wow. | 你不适合代理我们公司 但你真的很出色 |
[39:52] | Hey, if you change your mind. | 如果你改变主意 随时联系我 |
[40:02] | Well… I guess I owe you an apology. | 我想我应该向你道歉 |
[40:07] | I said we couldn’t do this and I was wrong. | 我说这官司我们赢不了 事实证明我是错的 |
[40:10] | No, I think you said we shouldn’t do this | 不 你说的是我们不该这么做 |
[40:11] | and you were right. | 你一点都没错 |
[40:15] | By the way, I’ve been meaning to tell you | 顺便一提 我一直想告诉你 |
[40:17] | those two cases you lost while I was gone, | 我不在时输掉的那两场官司 |
[40:19] | I read the transcripts last night. | 我昨晚看了记录 |
[40:21] | You were great. | 你表现得很棒 |
[40:23] | Those two judges were morons. | 那两个法官才是白痴 |
[40:28] | Well, thank you, Bull. | 布尔 谢谢 |
[40:31] | You want to go grab a… | 你要不要… |
[40:34] | … fizzy water or something or…? | 喝杯汽水或者什么的 |
[40:36] | No. Thanks. | 不了 谢谢 |
[40:38] | I got to catch a cab. | 我得去叫辆出租车 |
[40:41] | Something I got to do. | 我还有事要做 |
[40:50] | Mrs. Summerfield? | 萨默菲尔德夫人 |
[40:54] | It’s my friend. | 他是我的朋友 |
[40:56] | What do you want? We have a plane to catch. | 你来这座什么 我们要赶飞机 |
[41:00] | I just wanted to give you something. | 我有份东西要交给你 |
[41:09] | I don’t understand. This is a check for $2 million | 我不明白 这可是某家公司开的 |
[41:12] | made out to some company. | 两百万美元的支票 |
[41:13] | My company. If you look on the back, I signed it over to you. | 我的公司 看背面 我把它签给你了 |
[41:18] | What do you mean? Why would you give me this? | 这是什么意思 为什么给我 |
[41:22] | I don’t know. | 我也不清楚 |
[41:24] | I’m crazy. | 也许我疯了吧 |
[41:25] | You can ask anyone who works for me. | 为我工作的人大概都会这么说 |
[41:29] | Also, I just lost somebody. | 还有 我刚失去了一位挚友 |
[41:34] | The truth is, it’s EquiSafe Insurance’s money and… | 其实这是全权保险公司的钱… |
[41:39] | … you know, you should use it | 你应该用这笔钱 |
[41:43] | to get your operation and, uh, | 进行手术 然后… |
[41:46] | put the rest away for your family. | 把剩下的钱留给你的家人 |
[41:48] | That’s absurd. | 这可真荒谬 |
[41:49] | Is this some kind of a joke? | 你在开玩笑吗 |
[41:51] | No joke. | 不是 |
[41:53] | Get your 42 months, which, by the way, who knows? | 这样你还能争取到四十二个月的时间 |
[41:59] | Might just be 42 years. | 说不定是四十二年 |
[42:03] | You should really get going. You don’t want to miss your plane. | 你们该走了 否则会误机的 |
[42:08] | Happy days… | # 快乐的日子… # |
[42:11] | Thank you! Honey. | 谢谢你 亲爱的 |
[42:14] | Bye, friend. | 再见 朋友 |
[42:17] | The skies above are clear again. | # 天空又一次放晴了 # |