时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:15] | Richard. Richard Briggs. | 理查德 理查德·布里格斯 |
[00:20] | This is for Ella. | 这一枪是为埃拉报仇 |
[00:35] | Fruit again? | 又是水果 |
[00:36] | You know, | 水果可是 |
[00:37] | those come from trees. | 长在树上的 |
[00:39] | Trees live in dirt. | 树是种在泥里的 |
[00:41] | You want to give the boss food that comes from dirt, go ahead. | 你想把长在土里的东西给老大吃 请自便 |
[00:44] | But honestly, I think at this point, the man would appreciate | 但老实讲 我觉得老大更想要 |
[00:46] | coffee and a doughnut. | 咖啡和甜甜圈 |
[00:47] | Not funny. | 别闹了 |
[00:49] | I know I would appreciate coffee and a doughnut. | 反正我会想要咖啡和甜甜圈的 |
[00:51] | I mean, look at this stuff. | 瞧瞧这东西 |
[00:52] | Quinoa porridge? | 藜麦粥 |
[00:54] | Look, I’m all for healthy, but this stuff will kill you. | 我是支持健康饮食 但这东西简直要命 |
[00:57] | You got any food around here for real people? | 这有没有正常人能吃的 |
[00:59] | Top drawer on your left, behind the paper towels. | 在左边最上面的抽屉 厨房纸后面 |
[01:02] | Don’t tell anyone. | 别告诉别人 |
[01:04] | Don’t tell anyone what? | 什么不能告诉别人 |
[01:06] | Hallelujah. Mmm. | 万岁 |
[01:17] | 实不相瞒 我喜欢大杯 | |
[01:20] | Damn, I miss her. | 我好想她 |
[01:22] | Her mom keeps promising to come by and pick up her things. | 她妈妈说会来收拾她的东西 |
[01:27] | I’ll make sure and add that to the box. | 我会把这个放到箱子里的 |
[01:32] | Anybody hear about | 有人知道 |
[01:33] | that guy who was gunned down on the sidewalk | 昨天中午啤酒节 |
[01:34] | in the middle of the day during a beer run yesterday? | 有个男的在马路上被人枪杀了吗 |
[01:37] | That poor woman. | 可怜的女人 |
[01:38] | That poor man. | 男的才可怜吧 |
[01:39] | It happened right around the corner from where I live. | 事件就发生在我住处的拐角 |
[01:42] | She just walked up to him, shot him, point blank range. | 她无缘无故走到他跟前 近距离枪杀了他 |
[01:44] | Well, no. She didn’t just. | 并非无缘无故 |
[01:46] | The guy raped and killed her daughter. | 那男的奸杀了她女儿 |
[01:48] | And believe me, if something like that ever happens | 如果有人伤害了我的孩子 |
[01:50] | to my child, I’m gonna want to do the exact same thing. | 我也会想这么做的 |
[01:53] | Well, wanting is fine. Doing is a whole other thing. | 心里想是一回事 付诸行动又是另一回事了 |
[01:56] | There are laws in this country. | 这可是个法治国家 |
[01:58] | Yeah, well, obviously the law didn’t work | 很显然 那个女人失去女儿时 |
[02:00] | for the woman who lost her daughter. | 法律并没能为她伸张正义 |
[02:02] | I mean, she was just doing what the jury refused to do. | 她只是做了陪审团本该做的事 |
[02:04] | Oh, you can’t blame the jury. | 这你可不能怪陪审团 |
[02:07] | They were never given the evidence they needed to convict. | 检方无法提供确凿的证据 |
[02:09] | How is that even possible? | 怎么可能 |
[02:11] | I mean, they found the girl’s body | 他们可在这个男的车上 |
[02:13] | in the trunk of this guy’s car. | 找到了女孩的尸体 |
[02:14] | What more do you need? | 还需要什么证据 |
[02:15] | Problem is, the jury never heard any of that. | 问题是 陪审团并不知道这点 |
[02:18] | Turns out, the police had | 警方根据证据 |
[02:20] | a description of the kidnapper’s car. | 分析出了绑匪所用车辆的样式 |
[02:23] | Now, this Richard Briggs was driving a car that matched, | 理查德·布里格斯的车和警方的分析结果相符 |
[02:26] | so the police pulled him over and they searched it. | 于是警察让他靠边停车 并进行了搜查 |
[02:28] | Now, if there were a body laying in the back seat, | 如果尸体是在车后座上发现的 |
[02:32] | wouldn’t have been a problem. | 那就毋庸置疑 |
[02:33] | But it was in the trunk. | 但尸体是在后备箱发现的 |
[02:34] | And you’re not allowed to open the trunk | 而在没有合理根据的情况下 |
[02:37] | without probable cause. | 依法是不能打开后备箱的 |
[02:39] | At that point the police didn’t have it. | 而警方当时确实没有 |
[02:42] | Marissa! | 玛丽莎 |
[02:46] | You barked, sir? | 您叫我 老大 |
[02:47] | How long has this piece of mail been sitting on my desk? | 这封信什么时候寄来的 |
[02:49] | Your jury summons? Since April. | 您的陪审团出席传召吗 四月份就寄到了 |
[02:52] | Oh. Really? Six months. | 是吗 都过去六个月了 |
[02:54] | That postmark in the upper right-hand corner? | 右上角有邮戳 |
[02:56] | That is a dead giveaway. | 很明显啊 |
[02:57] | Well, make a call and get me out of it. | 打个电话 帮我推了这个 |
[02:59] | You know I can’t do that. We’ve already postponed it once, | 这我可无能为力 我们已经申请推迟一次了 |
[03:01] | and that’s all you’re allowed. | 而依法也只能推迟一次 |
[03:03] | When are you due to report? | 你什么时候去法院报道 |
[03:05] | Day after tomorrow. | 后天 |
[03:06] | Damn it, what a waste of time. | 这简直是浪费时间 |
[03:08] | I spend half a day waiting to be interviewed, | 我得花上大半天时间等着被提问 |
[03:09] | and then the attorneys figure out who I am, | 然后律师发现了我的身份 |
[03:11] | and they can’t get rid of me fast enough. | 他们又恨不得立刻摆脱我 |
[03:13] | It’s not easy being you. | 您毕竟盛名远扬 |
[03:14] | And another thing: my phone is not working. | 还有件事 我的电话坏了 |
[03:16] | It hasn’t rung in days. | 好几天都没响过了 |
[03:18] | The phones are fine. | 电话没问题 |
[03:18] | They’re not ringing because no one’s calling. | 没响是因为没人打电话 |
[03:20] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[03:21] | You haven’t been here for three months. | 你离开这长达三个月 |
[03:24] | I mean, let’s be honest. | 实话实说 |
[03:26] | You’re the reason people call. | 客户都是因你而来 |
[03:27] | And they called plenty while you were away, | 你不在时 他们没少打 |
[03:29] | but after a while, people get tired of hearing, | 没过多久 他们就听烦了我们的答复 |
[03:31] | “He’s not here and we’re not certain when he’ll be back.” | “他目前不在 我们不确定他什么时候回来” |
[03:34] | Well, I guess we need to make some noise. | 看来我们得搞点动静了 |
[03:36] | Let people know we’re back up to speed. | 让大家知道我已经回来了 |
[03:37] | Call over to the D.A.’s office. | 联系一下检方检察院 |
[03:39] | See if there’s any juicy pro bono opportunities | 看看有没有劲爆的无偿案件 |
[03:41] | we can avail ourselves of. | 我们可以加以利用 |
[03:42] | Something that will get us some clicks, | 增加关注度 |
[03:45] | some ink, some TV time. | 吸引眼球的 |
[03:46] | Clicks, ink, and TV time. | 吸引眼球的 |
[03:48] | I love it when your better angels make | 我就喜欢你时不时 |
[03:50] | an unscheduled cameo appearance. | 造访的小天使面孔 |
[03:54] | You know what? | 等等 |
[03:57] | I think I might actually have something for you. | 似乎有个案子正合适 |
[04:01] | He’d come over every Wednesday. | 他每周三过来 |
[04:04] | Always commenting on how they looked. | 总是夸赞她们的相貌 |
[04:07] | Their clothes, their hair, how… | 穿着 发型… |
[04:11] | how beautiful they were. | 夸她们有多漂亮 |
[04:14] | He was your daughter’s piano teacher. | 他是你女儿的钢琴老师 |
[04:17] | I always thought it was about the 15-year-old. | 我一直以为他对我大女儿动机不纯 |
[04:23] | When I… think about the things he did | 我… 一想到他对我小女儿 |
[04:28] | to my little one. | 对埃拉 |
[04:31] | To Ella. | 做的那些事 |
[04:34] | And then, suddenly he was free. | 结果他就这么自由了 |
[04:37] | It was like it never happened. | 仿佛一切未曾发生 |
[04:39] | I’d lost my 11-year-old, | 我失去了十一岁的小女儿 |
[04:40] | and he was driving around town like it was a holiday. | 他却洒脱地在城里开着车 |
[04:44] | Like he’d gotten away with murder. | 仿佛他得以逍遥法外 |
[04:47] | Which he had. | 不过他确实逃脱了法律的制裁 |
[04:49] | So I went and bought a gun. | 所以我买了把枪 |
[04:52] | Something I thought I’d never do. | 做了我从未想过之事 |
[04:54] | Easiest thing in the world. | 那远比我想的要简单 |
[04:58] | And then I just waited for him. | 之后我便守株待兔 |
[05:01] | So you shot him three times in the chest | 所以你在光天化日之下 |
[05:03] | in broad daylight | 当着数十名目击者的面 |
[05:04] | in front of a dozen witnesses. | 对着他的胸口开了三枪 |
[05:06] | And didn’t even try to flee. | 你甚至都没想要畏罪潜逃 |
[05:09] | You must have known you weren’t gonna get away with it. | 你一定也很清楚自己逃脱不了吧 |
[05:11] | I didn’t care. | 我不在乎 |
[05:13] | I wasn’t thinking about any of that. | 我没想过别的 |
[05:19] | I just needed to know he was no longer among us. | 我只是想解决了他 |
[05:37] | Just keep your head down and ignore them. | 低头 尽量无视他们 |
[05:39] | So what happens today? | 今天会发生什么 |
[05:40] | A number of things, but first off, there’s a question of bail. | 论点很多 首先是保释金 |
[05:43] | Oh, my gosh, you think they’ll actually offer me bail? | 天呐 你真觉得他们会给我提供保释机会 |
[05:45] | No, but we have to go through the formality of asking. | 我不这么认为 但这是必经的流程 |
[05:48] | And then the other side gets to indulge in the sadistic pleasure | 然后检方会千方百计地 |
[05:50] | of telling the court what a dangerous person you are. | 告诉法庭你是一个多么危险的人 |
[05:52] | It’s just part of the fun. | 好戏才刚开始 |
[05:54] | Look at me, Mrs. Spiro. | 看着我 斯皮罗太太 |
[05:56] | We’re gonna get you through this, | 我们会帮你渡过难关 |
[05:58] | and then we’re gonna get you out of here. | 让你离开牢笼 |
[06:00] | You just have to trust me. | 你只需要相信我就好 |
[06:03] | Earth to Marissa. | 呼叫玛丽莎 |
[06:04] | Benny and I and our client are making our way | 我和本尼以及委托人 |
[06:06] | into the courtroom. | 要进法庭了 |
[06:07] | Bull, what are you talking about? | 布尔 你在说什么 |
[06:09] | You have jury duty this morning. | 你今天上午必须去履行陪审员义务 |
[06:13] | You’re gonna need this. | 这个给你了 |
[06:15] | You all right? | 你没事吧 |
[06:16] | No, I think I may have screwed up. | 我可能搞砸了 |
[06:17] | I have a bit of business I need to take care of. | 有点小事我得去处理一下 |
[06:19] | Mrs. Spiro, I have to run upstairs to another courtroom | 斯皮罗太太 我得去楼上另一个法庭 |
[06:22] | for a couple of hours. | 大概要几个小时 |
[06:23] | – A couple of hours? – It’s not a problem. | – 几个小时 – 没事的 |
[06:25] | Nothing of any consequence ever happens here before lunch, | 午饭前 不会发生什么重要之事 |
[06:27] | and even if it did, | 就算发生了 |
[06:28] | you couldn’t be in better hands. | 他也是一把好手 |
[06:29] | You got it. | 放宽心 |
[06:31] | Mrs. Spiro? | 斯皮罗太太 |
[06:32] | – Bull? – How late am I? | – 布尔 – 我迟到了多久 |
[06:34] | 20 minutes. | 二十分钟 |
[06:36] | How long do you think it’ll take me to get excused? | 你觉得律师会多快摆脱我 |
[06:38] | I have no idea what you’re talking about. | 我完全不知道你在说什么 |
[06:40] | I’m betting 45 minutes. | 我估计四十五分钟 |
[06:46] | The defendant, | 被告 |
[06:49] | one Kendrick Gorman, who is accused | 肯德里克·戈尔曼 |
[06:54] | of practicing law | 被控无证从事 |
[06:56] | without a license. | 法律工作 |
[07:00] | My God, he’s actually pronouncing every comma. | 天呐 他真是一个字一个字往外蹦 |
[07:02] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[07:04] | Could there possibly be a bigger abuse of trust? | 还有比这等滥用信用之事更令人深恶痛绝的吗 |
[07:09] | You find yourself on the wrong side of the law. | 当你惹上了官司 |
[07:13] | Desperate for help. | 渴求帮助 |
[07:15] | You hire an attorney. | 你雇了一个律师 |
[07:17] | Only to find that he’s not really an attorney. | 却发现他其实并非一名律师 |
[07:20] | But an impostor. | 而是个骗子 |
[07:25] | As opposed to an authentic idiot like you. | 最起码他不是和你一样的白痴 |
[07:28] | Dr. Jason Bull. | 杰森·布尔博士 |
[07:31] | The Dr. Jason Bull? | 你就是杰森·布尔博士 |
[07:34] | Hmm. I’m afraid so. | 正是 |
[07:36] | What a pleasure to finally meet you. | 能见到你 我真是倍感荣幸 |
[07:38] | And you, as well. | 彼此彼此 |
[07:40] | And now, I know you’ve done work with my office, | 我知道您和我方 州检察长办公室 |
[07:43] | the state attorney general’s office, | 合作过 |
[07:45] | and I know you’re also | 我也知道您是 |
[07:47] | thought to be one of the best in your field. | 那个领域公认的权威人士 |
[07:49] | So, just to be clear, you advise | 您给像我一样的法律人士提供建议 |
[07:51] | people like me how to pick juries. | 如何选择陪审团 |
[07:55] | What to say to juries, how to get the juries to come | 建议我们要对陪审团说什么 如何引导陪审团 |
[07:59] | to conclusions whoever hires you needs them to come to. | 得出对您的客户有利的判决 |
[08:03] | Is that correct? | 对吗 |
[08:04] | Well, that’s not how I’d put it, but… | 我不会这么形容 但… |
[08:06] | Your Honor, we’d like to strike this juror for cause. | 法官大人 我方申请撤销这名陪审员的资格 |
[08:09] | What cause? | 何为理由 |
[08:11] | Well, you just heard him. | 您刚刚也听到了 |
[08:12] | He is an expert | 他是 |
[08:14] | in all matters pertaining to juries. | 剖析陪审团的专家 |
[08:16] | And that’s all well and good. | 这完全没有问题 |
[08:18] | But as far as I can tell, in this particular case, | 但最起码 布尔博士不会在本案中 |
[08:21] | Dr. Bull will not be picking jurors. | 帮助任何一方挑选陪审员 |
[08:25] | Nor will he be advising either side on what to say to them. | 他也不会为任何一方提供建议 |
[08:27] | And as far as helping them come to conclusions, | 告诉他们如何引导陪审团进行判决 |
[08:30] | well, hopefully that’s the job | 而这正是每位陪审员 |
[08:31] | of every juror during the period of deliberations. | 在庭上的职责 |
[08:35] | Ms. Dunn, would you care to question the juror? | 邓恩女士 你有什么问题想问这名陪审员吗 |
[08:40] | So you’re a jury consultant? | 您就是那位陪审团分析师 |
[08:43] | A trial scientist, yes. | 庭审专家 是的 |
[08:45] | You advise lawyers on | 您向律师们提出建议 |
[08:46] | how to try their cases. | 告诉他们如何在法庭上施展拳脚 |
[08:49] | Sometimes, yes. | 有时是这样的 |
[08:51] | So, in a sense, | 所以某种意义上 |
[08:52] | you practice law without a license. | 您的行为正是无照从事法律工作 |
[08:55] | Just like my client. | 就像我的客户那样 |
[08:56] | No, I wouldn’t exactly say that. | 不 我可不会这么说 |
[08:58] | This juror is acceptable to the defense. | 辩方接受这名陪审员 |
[09:01] | Your Honor, uh, if I may, | 法官大人 请让我说一句 |
[09:04] | I would love to be seated on this jury. | 我非常愿意成为本案的陪审员 |
[09:06] | Well, then, today’s your lucky day. | 那你今天将得偿所愿 |
[09:08] | But unfortunately, um, | 但很可惜 |
[09:10] | I have a… a previous commitment, a legal commitment. | 我已有约 而且是具有法律效力之约 |
[09:14] | A legal commitment? | 具有法律效力之约 |
[09:15] | Yes, indeed. Uh, I am in the midst of starting | 正是 我的客户正在楼下的法庭 |
[09:18] | a murder trial downstairs, right in this very courthouse. | 进行谋杀案的审判 就在这栋法院大楼里 |
[09:22] | And, um… uh, you may have heard of it. | 您也许听说过此案 |
[09:25] | The State v. Heather Spiro? | 州诉希瑟·斯皮罗 |
[09:28] | It’s a very big, important case. | 这可是个要案 |
[09:30] | Yes, I have heard of it. | 我听说过 |
[09:32] | Well, aren’t you the VIP? | 想必他们一定很需要你的协助 |
[09:35] | However, trial scientists are not now, | 然而对于美国刑事司法系统而言 |
[09:37] | nor have they ever been, essential | 庭审专家 |
[09:39] | to the American criminal justice system. | 从来不是必要人物 |
[09:41] | But jurors are. | 但陪审员必不可少 |
[09:43] | Your Honor, my client is facing a life sentence. | 法官大人 我的客户很有可能被判终身监禁 |
[09:46] | She has a lawyer? | 她有律师吗 |
[09:48] | She does. | 有 |
[09:50] | Good. Then everybody has what they need. | 既然如此 各方都万事俱备了 |
[09:53] | She has a lawyer, we have 12 jurors. | 她有律师 而我们有十二位陪审员 |
[09:55] | Welcome to my court, Dr. Bull. | 布尔博士 欢迎在我的法庭 |
[09:58] | And welcome to jury duty. | 履行陪审员义务 |
[10:05] | Ah. You can win $100 million verdicts | 你能帮助客户击败跨国公司 |
[10:09] | against multinational corporations, | 赢得一亿美元的赔偿金 |
[10:11] | but you can’t argue your way out of jury duty? | 却无法让自己摆脱陪审员义务吗 |
[10:13] | Trust me, I tried. | 我已经竭尽所能了 |
[10:15] | I think the judge has a crush on me. | 我觉得法官可能暗恋我 |
[10:16] | Needless to say, | 更不用说 |
[10:17] | our client is not pleased. | 客户对此意见满满 |
[10:19] | Oh, I don’t blame her. | 情有可原 |
[10:20] | You just missed her. | 她刚被带走 |
[10:22] | They just put her in the prison van ten minutes ago. | 她十分钟前上了囚车 |
[10:24] | Well, the good news is, I won’t be on this jury for long. | 好消息是那场庭审不会太久 |
[10:28] | There are only three people on the witness list. | 只有三个证人 |
[10:30] | Whole thing should be over in a day. | 一天内就能结束 |
[10:32] | Now, I was thinking for tomorrow, | 至于明天的庭审 |
[10:34] | it makes sense to promote Chunk to the second chair. | 让特朗科做你的副手 |
[10:36] | Someone sitting next to you with Marissa in his ear. | 这样就有个人陪在你和玛丽莎身边了 |
[10:38] | I get that. So what’s the strategy? | 明白 辩护策略是什么 |
[10:40] | Well, I’m thinking EED defense. | 精神障碍辩护 |
[10:42] | EED EED? | |
[10:45] | Extreme emotional disturbance? | 精神障碍辩护 |
[10:47] | No, that’s not going to work. | 这可不行 |
[10:50] | EED happens in the moment. | 精神障碍辩护只适用于冲动型犯罪 |
[10:52] | And the evidence clearly proves | 证据表明 |
[10:53] | that this was not a spontaneous act. | 这并非冲动型犯罪 |
[10:55] | By her own admission, | 她自己也承认 |
[10:56] | she was lying in wait for this guy for days. | 她已经守株待兔好几天了 |
[10:59] | I know. I just want to use it to get our foot in the door. | 我知道 我只是想用它来占得先机 |
[11:02] | Gives us an excuse in your opening statement | 为你创造个理由在开庭陈词钟 |
[11:04] | to talk about the horrific details | 提及被告孩子惨遭的 |
[11:06] | of what happened to this woman’s child, | 骇人耸听的犯罪细节 |
[11:07] | – which otherwise… – We’re going to get caught. | – 否则… – 检方肯定会提出反对的 |
[11:10] | And when that happens, we will apologize | 若当真如此 我们就道歉 |
[11:13] | and come up with a different attack. | 再另想他法 |
[11:15] | But I’ll be in the courtroom by then | 那时我就能从另一场庭审中脱身 |
[11:16] | and we’ll figure something out. | 车到山前必有路 |
[11:18] | Also, have Danny get a line on the surviving daughter. | 让丹尼在她大女儿身上多下功夫 |
[11:22] | We need to give the jury as many reasons as possible | 我们需要给陪审团充足的理由 |
[11:25] | to not send Heather to prison, and what better reason | 避免他们将希瑟送进监狱 |
[11:28] | than she has a teenage daughter who needs her | 还有什么理由比一个盼着她回家的 |
[11:31] | and is waiting for her to come home? | 十几岁女儿有说服力呢 |
[11:41] | The tattoo new? | 新纹身吗 |
[11:44] | Looks new. | 看着新而已 |
[11:46] | I did it myself. | 我自己纹的 |
[11:49] | What about the piercings? | 那这些穿孔呢 |
[11:51] | Last weekend. | 上周末做的 |
[11:53] | There’s not a lot to do around here, | 我无事可做 |
[11:56] | and I don’t really know anybody. | 在这我一个熟人也没有 |
[11:58] | I mean, I know my aunt, but… | 虽然我婶婶住在附近 但… |
[12:00] | Would you like your mom to see them? | 想让你妈妈看看吗 |
[12:01] | I can take a picture for you. | 我可以给你照张相 |
[12:02] | No. | 不了 |
[12:04] | She’s got enough going on right now. | 她现在的烦心事够多了 |
[12:06] | She doesn’t need to worry about me. | 不能让她再为我分心 |
[12:08] | Well, she is… worried about you. | 她确实… 很担心你 |
[12:12] | She wants to come home to you, | 她想回到你身边 |
[12:14] | take care of you. | 照顾你 |
[12:18] | Well, the reason I’m here, uh, | 这就是我来拜访你的原因 |
[12:20] | we’d like for you to come to the city, | 我们希望你能来城里 |
[12:22] | be a part of the trial. | 参与庭审 |
[12:24] | I don’t think that’s a very good idea. | 我可不觉得这是个好主意 |
[12:26] | Well, I can come here. I can, I can pick you up. | 我可以来陪你 接你去法庭 |
[12:30] | Can sit with you in court. | 在法庭上 我会坐在你身边 |
[12:35] | The jury needs to see that your mom still has a child, | 我们需要让陪审团看到你妈妈还有一个孩子 |
[12:39] | a child who loves her, misses her, | 一个爱她 思念她 |
[12:43] | needs her at home. | 需要她的孩子 |
[12:44] | I’ve been to court before. | 我出席过庭审 |
[12:48] | My sister’s trial. | 我妹妹的庭审 |
[12:50] | I sat there the whole time, waiting for a chance | 我全程坐在那 等待时机 |
[12:53] | to tell them what I knew, and then, when the time came, | 想把我知道的一切都告诉他们 可时候到了 |
[12:54] | they wouldn’t let me say it. | 他们却不让我开口 |
[12:56] | What wouldn’t they let you say? | 他们不让你说什么 |
[12:58] | I… heard his voice. | 我… 听到了他的声音 |
[13:02] | I knew him. | 我认识他 |
[13:04] | He was my piano teacher. | 他是我的钢琴老师 |
[13:09] | I spent every Wednesday with him for three years. | 这三年里 他每周三都来教我弹钢琴 |
[13:15] | But, uh, they said hearing someone’s voice | 但他们说我只是听到了一个声音 |
[13:19] | and thinking you know who they are isn’t enough proof, | 并自认为知道那是谁 这并不是充足的证据 |
[13:24] | so I couldn’t say it on the stand. | 所以我没能在作证时说出这一切 |
[13:27] | You didn’t see him? | 你没看见他吗 |
[13:29] | I was sleeping. | 我那时在睡觉 |
[13:33] | He must’ve come in through the window, but… | 他一定是从窗户进来的 但… |
[13:37] | all I know is, he put a bag over my head | 我只知道他用一个袋子蒙住了我的头 |
[13:42] | and when I woke up, | 当我醒来时 |
[13:44] | he was wrapping tape around the bag… | 他正在用胶带封住袋子… |
[13:49] | and over my mouth. | 和我的嘴 |
[13:52] | And he carried me to the closet and locked me in. | 他把我锁进了衣橱 |
[13:57] | And he said | 然后说 |
[13:59] | if I made a sound, he would kill my mother. | 如果我发出一点声音 他就杀了我妈妈 |
[14:07] | I thought he was there for her. | 我以为他是来杀我妈妈的 |
[14:15] | Maybe if I’d been awake, none of this would have happened. | 如果我当时醒着 这一切也许就不会发生了 |
[14:21] | Maybe he wouldn’t have gotten Ella | 也许他就不会那么对埃拉 |
[14:23] | or my mom wouldn’t have shot him. | 我妈妈就不会射杀他 |
[14:35] | They’re new, too. | 这些也是新的 |
[14:37] | So, today is all about something called voir dire. | 今天将进行陪审员预审 |
[14:41] | It’s kind of our specialty. | 这是我们的特长 |
[14:42] | It’s about interviewing prospective jurors | 我们会向陪审员提问 |
[14:45] | and doing everything we can to make sure | 并竭尽所能 |
[14:47] | that we pick the right ones, the ones who are best able | 并选出那些能听取我方论据 |
[14:49] | to hear our argument, | 并对你表示同情的 |
[14:50] | – sympathize with it, yeah. – Okay. | – 陪审员 – 好的 |
[14:52] | Even though you won’t be testifying today… | 即使你今天无法出庭作证… |
[14:54] | no one will… | 也没人会… |
[14:54] | you have a very important job. | 你有一项非常重要的任务 |
[14:57] | This is when the jurors get their first look at you. | 当陪审员第一次看到你 |
[15:00] | Prosecutor’s gonna want them to see a murderer, | 检方希望他们视你为一个杀人凶手 |
[15:03] | a public menace. | 一个公共威胁 |
[15:04] | I want them to see the schoolteacher, | 而我希望他们看到的是一名教师 |
[15:07] | the grieving mother, | 一位悲伤的母亲 |
[15:08] | the victim of a murderous deviant | 一位被残忍的凶手 |
[15:10] | who took advantage of a family’s trust. | 所利用的受害家属 |
[15:14] | But there’s no sign you can hold up to show ’em all those things. | 但你无法用实际证据证明这些 |
[15:17] | You have to do it in here. | 你必须对此深信不疑 |
[15:19] | You have to be it in here and not just in the courtroom… | 并真诚地表现出来 不仅是在庭上… |
[15:24] | from the moment you leave that cell in the morning | 而是从早晨离开牢房的那一刻 |
[15:25] | until your head hits the pillow at night. Can you do that? | 直至晚上临睡前 你能做到吗 |
[15:27] | – Yeah. I can do that. – Great. | – 我能做到 – 很好 |
[15:30] | Now, Benny and Chunk know exactly | 本尼和特朗科很清楚 |
[15:33] | what we’re looking for juror-wise. | 我们要寻找什么样的陪审员 |
[15:34] | – Marissa back at my office… – Wait a second. | – 玛丽莎在我办公室待命… – 等等 |
[15:37] | You’re not coming to court with us today? | 今天你不和我们一起出庭吗 |
[15:39] | Well, I can’t. I have a… | 对 我必须… |
[15:40] | What did I do? What did I fall for? | 天呐 我被骗了 |
[15:43] | I need a new lawyer. I need… | 我要另请律师 我要… |
[15:44] | No, you don’t. | 不 你不必这么做 |
[15:45] | You need to lower your voice and stop acting out in public. | 小声点 别在公众场合闹事 |
[15:48] | Look around. There are people walking by. | 看看周围 这么多人从你身边经过 |
[15:50] | You have no idea who they are. | 而你根本不知道他们是谁 |
[15:52] | Like I told you, your job starts | 如我所说 你的任务 |
[15:55] | the moment you leave prison in the morning | 从早晨离开监狱的那一刻便开始了 |
[15:57] | until you get back to your cell at night. | 一直到晚上回到牢房才结束 |
[16:01] | Now, I will do everything in my power to get back | 我会尽快 |
[16:03] | and be by your side as soon as I can. | 回来陪你 |
[16:05] | But let’s not blow this thing on deportment. | 先别自乱阵脚 |
[16:08] | Shall we? | 好吗 |
[16:09] | And how many times did the defendant | 被告有多少次 |
[16:12] | hold himself out to be an attorney? | 以律师身份自居 |
[16:14] | At least 16. | 至少十六次 |
[16:16] | And what kinds of cases did he try? | 他经手的案子有哪些 |
[16:18] | All kinds. | 各种各样 |
[16:19] | Everything from traffic violations to murder. | 从交通肇事到谋杀都有 |
[16:22] | And while we already know that he didn’t have | 我们已经知道他并没有法律学位 |
[16:25] | a law degree, what kind of education did he have? | 他到底受过多高的教育 |
[16:29] | High school. A year of community college. | 高中和一年社区大学 |
[16:32] | High school? | 高中 |
[16:34] | A year of community college. | 一年社区大学 |
[16:36] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有问题了 法官大人 |
[16:39] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[16:41] | Good afternoon. | 下午好 |
[16:43] | You obtained a subpoena, went into my client’s office, | 你收到了传票 进入我客户的办公室 |
[16:46] | seized my client’s records. | 缴纳了他的记录 |
[16:48] | Did you happen to notice what he charged for his legal services? | 你有注意到他的收费标准吗 |
[16:51] | Objection. Relevance. | 反对 与本案无关 |
[16:52] | Simply because he didn’t charge a lot of money | 虽然他的收费并不高 |
[16:55] | doesn’t change the fact that he was breaking the law. | 但这并不代表他没有犯法 |
[16:58] | Objection sustained. | 反对有效 |
[17:00] | The jury will ignore the question. | 陪审团请忽略这个问题 |
[17:03] | When you examined my client’s records, | 当你在检查我客户的记录时 |
[17:07] | were you able to ascertain the sort of clients he represented? | 你有注意到他代理的都是什么样的委托人吗 |
[17:12] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[17:14] | He didn’t represent rich people, did he? | 他并没有为富人打官司 对吗 |
[17:16] | Objection. Relevance again. | 反对 这也与本案无关 |
[17:20] | Objection sustained. Again. | 反对有效 |
[17:22] | Ms. Dunn, please don’t test me. | 邓恩女士 别再挑战我的底线了 |
[17:25] | None of this is relevant to the charges. | 这些问题都与本案无关 |
[17:27] | Do you have another question? | 还有别的问题吗 |
[17:31] | Yes, juror number four. What can I do for you? | 四号陪审员 有事吗 |
[17:35] | Well, I just, uh… | 我… |
[17:38] | Well, Your Honor, I’ve been in some courtrooms | 法官大人 我参与过的庭审中 |
[17:40] | where the judge allows jurors to ask questions. | 有法官允许陪审员提问 |
[17:43] | Do you have a question, number four? | 你有什么问题吗 四号陪审员 |
[17:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:54] | “Did the defendant ever lose any of his cases?” | “被告输过官司吗” |
[18:05] | No. He didn’t. | 没有 |
[18:07] | He never lost a case. | 从未输过一场 |
[18:11] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[18:16] | Our juror wants to know if any of the defendant’s clients | 这位陪审员还想知道被告的委托人 |
[18:19] | ever complained about his work. | 是否投诉过他 |
[18:22] | Not that I know of. | 据我所知没有 |
[18:25] | Um, juror four, why don’t you just go ahead | 四号陪审员 |
[18:29] | and ask your questions out loud? | 你不如直接提问吧 |
[18:30] | Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[18:33] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[18:34] | – Sit. – Okay. | – 坐下 – 好 |
[18:36] | Well, hasn’t the defendant already stipulated | 被告是否已经保证 |
[18:39] | that going forward, he will no longer offer | 在完成学业 取得执照前 |
[18:41] | his services as an attorney until such time | 他不会再以律师身份 |
[18:44] | as he completes his education and passes the bar? | 提供法律服务了 |
[18:46] | That’s my understanding. | 对 |
[18:48] | And one last question: how did Mr. Gorman, | 最后一个问题 警方是如何发现被告 |
[18:50] | the defendant, get caught? | 戈尔曼先生无证从事法律工作的 |
[18:52] | He defended a man falsely accused | 他为一名受到贩毒的 |
[18:55] | of being involved in a drug-trafficking ring. | 不实指控的人辩护 |
[18:57] | Which I’m assuming he won. | 我猜他胜诉了 |
[19:00] | He did. | 对 |
[19:01] | So… | 那么… |
[19:02] | a guy with a high school education… | 一名只有高中… |
[19:03] | sorry, one year of community college… | 抱歉 和一年社区大学学历的人… |
[19:06] | beats a City of New York prosecutor. | 打败了纽约州检察官 |
[19:09] | You think maybe that’s why we’re all sitting here? | 也许这才是这场庭审的真正原因 |
[19:11] | Isn’t it reasonable to assume | 假设戈尔曼先生输掉了那起官司 |
[19:13] | that if Mr. Gorman had lost that particular case, | 检方是否就不会 |
[19:15] | the prosecutor wouldn’t have investigated him | 调查他 |
[19:17] | and we wouldn’t be sitting here today? | 这场庭审也就不会发生了 |
[19:19] | Doesn’t that sound like an abuse of power? | 这听上去不是滥用职权吗 |
[19:22] | I suppose. | 也许吧 |
[19:24] | Ah. I have no further questions. | 我问完了 |
[19:27] | And I have no further questions. | 没有其他问题了 |
[19:29] | The defense rests. | 辩方没有问题 |
[19:31] | Then, tomorrow morning | 明早将进行 |
[19:32] | the jury will hear closing arguments | 结案陈词 |
[19:34] | and commence deliberations. | 陪审团将据此作出判决 |
[19:37] | Court is adjourned. | 现在休庭 |
[19:39] | The good news is there’s nothing left but closing arguments | 好消息是这场官司只剩结案陈词 |
[19:41] | and deliberations. | 和陪审团商议了 |
[19:42] | The bad news is, at this point, | 坏消息是 就目前而言 |
[19:44] | I don’t think either side is carrying the day | 双方僵持不下 陪审团并没有偏向某方的迹象 |
[19:47] | and I’m worried that unless something miraculous happens, | 除非有奇迹发生 |
[19:50] | I could be locked up in that jury room | 我得被困在陪审员室里 |
[19:53] | for a couple more days deliberating. | 进行商议 |
[19:54] | Can we just take a moment and talk about Heather Spiro? | 我们可以开始讨论希瑟·斯皮罗的案子了吗 |
[19:58] | I think if she doesn’t | 若你不尽快 |
[19:59] | see Jason Bull sitting by her side in court pretty soon, | 陪同她出庭 |
[20:03] | she’s likely to fire us. | 我担心她会解雇我们 |
[20:04] | Which would defeat the whole point | 这样就无法达成 |
[20:05] | of our having gotten involved, | 我们参与此案的目的 |
[20:07] | which was to generate some good press. | 无法营造良好的媒体形象 |
[20:09] | Well, I think you’re both overreacting. | 你们反应过度了 |
[20:11] | I disagree. | 我不同意 |
[20:12] | I think they’re telling it to you straight. | 他们说的是事实 |
[20:14] | We actually had a really good day at court. | 我们今天在庭上一切顺利 |
[20:17] | I think we got a jury that you’ll be really pleased with. | 你会满意我们挑选的陪审团的 |
[20:19] | The one problem is, when they glance at the defendant, | 问题是 他们眼里的被告 |
[20:21] | all they see is an incredibly angry lady. | 完全是一个怒不可遏的狠毒女人 |
[20:26] | Okay. I’ll walk her into the courtroom again | 明天我负责送她 |
[20:29] | tomorrow morning. | 出庭 |
[20:30] | And then you’ll turn around, | 然后你转身离去 |
[20:32] | and Chunk and I will be stuck with trying to convince her | 留下我和特朗科来说服她 |
[20:34] | that everything’s going to be all right. | 一切都会顺利的 |
[20:35] | And it will be. | 确实如此 |
[20:37] | It’s the best I can do. | 我只能帮你们这么多了 |
[20:39] | Everyone understands. | 理解 |
[20:40] | And you still want me to go with EED in my opening statement? | 我依旧要以精神障碍辩护作为在开庭陈词吗 |
[20:45] | EED it is. | 如你所愿 |
[20:47] | Danny, we have the daughter all teed up? | 丹尼 她女儿准备好出庭作证了吗 |
[20:49] | We need her testimony. | 我们需要她出庭作证 |
[20:51] | – I don’t think you want to do that. – Well, then you’d be wrong | – 我觉得这可不是个好选择 – 非也 |
[20:53] | ’cause that’s exactly what we need to do. | 我们正需要这么做 |
[20:55] | She’s the only witness we have, | 她是我方的唯一证人 |
[20:57] | at least the only one who can provide the jury with something | 也是唯一一个 |
[21:00] | even close to a first-person account of what happened | 能以第一视角告诉陪审团 |
[21:03] | the night the victim was snatched from her home. | 案发经过以及凶手如何绑架受害者的证人 |
[21:07] | Bull, she’s 15 and she’s cutting herself. | 布尔 她才十五岁 还在自残 |
[21:10] | She’s got a tattoo on her neck | 脖子上有纹身 |
[21:11] | and piercings in her face. | 脸上还打着孔 |
[21:13] | And who knows what she’s doing | 天知道她还对自己的身体 |
[21:14] | to the other parts of her body that I can’t see. | 做了什么 |
[21:16] | Clearly she’s really fragile, | 她显然很脆弱 |
[21:18] | and I’m afraid if you put her on the… | 若是让她出庭作证 我怕… |
[21:19] | Well, stop being afraid. | 别畏首畏尾 |
[21:20] | We need her testimony. | 我们需要她的证词 |
[21:22] | Well, there is another problem with that. | 还有个问题 |
[21:24] | Heather Spiro won’t have it. | 希瑟·斯皮罗反对这一做法 |
[21:26] | She knows her daughter is falling apart, | 她知道自己的女儿处于崩溃的边缘 |
[21:28] | and she’s refusing to let her testify. | 她拒绝让女儿出庭作证 |
[21:31] | So she wants to go to prison for the rest of her life? | 所以她想老死牢中吗 |
[21:33] | She feels there’s got | 她认为就算没有 |
[21:35] | to be a way to present her case without… | 她女儿的证词 还有其他方法… |
[21:37] | And neither of you could disabuse her of that? | 你们都无法说服她吗 |
[21:39] | Nope. But I’m sure you can do it | 对 但我相信明天 |
[21:42] | during your 90-second walk with her into court tomorrow. | 在送她出庭的九十秒里 你可以做到 |
[21:45] | Night, all. | 再见 各位 |
[21:46] | I have got a trial to prepare for. | 我得去准备明天的庭审了 |
[21:53] | Well, I guess we’re done here. | 我们也结束吧 |
[21:58] | Don’t speak. | 别开口 听我说 |
[22:00] | Three things. | 三件事 |
[22:02] | First thing, I don’t give a damn who you’re pissed off at or why. | 第一 我不在乎你在生谁的气 又为何生气 |
[22:05] | When you’re sitting in that courtroom, | 当你出庭时 |
[22:06] | you better be looking like a victim | 你最好表现出一副受害者的模样 |
[22:07] | and not like the Wicked Witch of the West, | 而不是凶恶的坏女巫 |
[22:09] | or you’re not gonna fire me, I will quit. | 否则就算你不解雇我 我也会主动请辞 |
[22:11] | And if I do that, there’s not a law firm in this town | 如果我选择退出 再也不会有第二家律所 |
[22:14] | worth a damn that will touch you with a ten-foot pole. | 愿意接你的案子 |
[22:17] | Second thing. I am moving heaven and earth | 第二 我会竭尽所能 |
[22:19] | to get down here and be by your side. | 尽快赶来陪你 |
[22:21] | I have every hope that tomorrow morning | 我认为明早我就能来 |
[22:24] | I will be there, but I can’t promise. | 但我无法保证 |
[22:27] | What I can promise is that I am totally involved | 但我可以向你保证 我一直在跟进你的案子 |
[22:29] | in your defense, and those two men standing behind me | 而我身后的这两位 |
[22:31] | are doing everything they are supposed to be doing. | 也会尽职尽责 |
[22:33] | But if you’re unhappy, or you have a better idea, | 若你依旧不满意 或另有妙招 |
[22:35] | or you have some secret plan for getting away with murder | 甚至早已秘密计划好如何逃脱一起在纽约 |
[22:38] | on a New York City sidewalk in broad daylight, | 光天化日之下所犯的谋杀罪 |
[22:40] | I’d love to hear it. | 我洗耳恭听 |
[22:43] | I didn’t think so. | 我也不期望你有 |
[22:45] | And third, there is one thing I am certain of. | 第三 我唯一可以确定的是 |
[22:49] | If we don’t put your daughter on that stand, | 如果你女儿不出庭作证 |
[22:50] | you are going to prison. | 你肯定会进监狱 |
[22:52] | And the only question will be for a quarter of a century | 区别在于你的刑期将是二十五年 |
[22:55] | or the rest of your life? | 还是无期 |
[22:56] | She’ll never do it. | 她不会去作证的 |
[22:58] | And I’ll never let her. | 我也不会让她去 |
[23:00] | Then we are all wasting our time. | 那我们不过是在浪费时间 |
[23:02] | No. Not you. | 最起码你不是 |
[23:04] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[23:06] | You actually haven’t given me any of your time to waste. | 你甚至不愿为我腾出一星半点的时间 |
[23:09] | You guys are right. | 你们说得对 |
[23:12] | She’s a peach. Well, maybe you haven’t heard. | 她真是善解人意 也许你没听说过 |
[23:13] | I like to win. | 我喜欢赢 |
[23:14] | So buckle up, put on a happy face, | 所以请你整装待发 调整面部表情 |
[23:18] | and get ready to have your mind changed. | 看着我们将如何扭转乾坤 |
[23:39] | You know, if I were advising that Gorman fella, | 如果丹尼是我的客户 |
[23:41] | I’d tell him to do the, uh, closing argument himself. | 我会让他自己做结案陈词 |
[23:44] | He needs to show that jury that, even though he doesn’t have | 让陪审团看到 即使没有律师资格证 |
[23:46] | a law license, he’s a great litigator. | 他也是一名很厉害的辩护人 |
[23:49] | Would you stop that, please? | 别说了 行吗 |
[23:51] | We’re not supposed to be doing this. | 我们不能这么做 |
[23:52] | Jurors are not supposed | 陪审员不能 |
[23:53] | to talk to defendants outside the courtroom. | 在法庭外和辩护律师进行接触 |
[23:57] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[23:59] | I didn’t say a word. | 我什么也没说 |
[24:02] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[24:03] | I intend to prove to you that this, | 我想向你们证明 |
[24:06] | this was no vigilante killing. | 被告的所作所为并非动用私刑 |
[24:09] | That this was an act of desperation committed by a woman | 这不过是一个母亲的绝望之举 |
[24:12] | who fell victim to a mental condition called EED. | 她患有一种名为EED的精神疾病 |
[24:17] | Extreme emotional disturbance. | 精神障碍 |
[24:19] | Objection. | 反对 |
[24:21] | Objection? | 反对 |
[24:23] | Y… Your Honor, I’m still giving my opening statement. | 法官大人 我还在进行开庭陈词 |
[24:27] | EED, really, Your Honor? | 精神障碍 真的吗 法官大人 |
[24:29] | The State would like to be heard. | 检方有话要说 |
[24:30] | Oh, well, the defense would like to be heard, too. | 辩方也有话要说 |
[24:33] | As a matter of fact, the defense would like | 辩方希望能继续进行 |
[24:35] | to finish their opening statement. | 开庭陈述 |
[24:36] | Wow. We’ve barely started. Okay. | 我们才刚刚爱是 |
[24:39] | Want to see you both in my chambers. | 到我的办公室来 |
[24:44] | I love the law. | 我热爱法律 |
[24:48] | I know that must sound ridiculous coming from someone | 我知道一个违法的人这样说一定很荒谬 |
[24:51] | who’s on trial for breaking it, but it is the truth. | 但这是事实 |
[24:56] | I never planned on impersonating a… an attorney. | 我从未想伪装成一名律师 |
[25:01] | Five years ago, a woman friend asked me | 五年前 一位女性朋友让我 |
[25:03] | to go with her to, um, small claims court, | 陪她参加一场小额诉讼 |
[25:06] | offer moral support. | 给她精神支持 |
[25:08] | Um, I was wearing a suit ’cause, um… | 我当时穿着西装 |
[25:14] | I was a… a mortician and I had a funeral that day. | 我当时是个殡葬业者 那天刚好有场葬礼 |
[25:16] | And anyway, uh, the judge started asking | 然后法官不断向我朋友 |
[25:19] | a bunch of questions. | 提问 |
[25:20] | And my friend kind of froze. | 我的朋友吓傻了 |
[25:22] | So I started answering for her. | 所以我只好替她回答 |
[25:29] | Next thing I know, my friend won her case. | 不知不觉间 我朋友赢了那场官司 |
[25:33] | And as we, uh, left the courtroom, this guy | 当我们离开法庭 有人突然跑来告诉我 |
[25:37] | came running up to me to tell me how impressed he was, | 他被我的能力所震撼 |
[25:40] | and would I represent him | 问我能不能在一场交通肇事案中 |
[25:42] | the following week i… in traffic court? | 做他的代理律师 |
[25:46] | One case led to another. | 一个案子接一个案子 |
[25:47] | A… And, and the amazing thing was, I, I never lost. | 最奇怪的是我从没输过 |
[25:55] | I also, uh, never charged more than $35 an hour. | 我的收费也从没超过三十五美元一小时 |
[25:58] | I know that sounds crazy, but like I said, | 我知道这听起来不可思议 但如我所说 |
[26:00] | I, I love the law. | 我热爱法律 |
[26:03] | And thank God for the Internet, | 感谢网络的诞生 |
[26:05] | ’cause anything I didn’t know, I, I cou… I could look up. | 因为我一有疑问 就能在网上找到答案 |
[26:09] | But of course, I… I knew it was wrong. | 当然 我知道这么做是错的 |
[26:13] | Although I’m not sure it should be. | 虽然我不确定是否应当如此 |
[26:16] | I mean, doesn’t the law belong to everyone? | 法律难道不该属于所有人吗 |
[26:18] | Not just people with money who can take seven years | 不止局限于那些接受了七年专业教育的 |
[26:22] | off of their lives and go to school? | 有钱人 |
[26:23] | Or… or clients who, who can bankroll a defense? | 或是那些能请得起辩护律师的被告 |
[26:30] | But, um, that’s a conversation for another day. | 当然 这些都是将来的大议题 |
[26:39] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[26:43] | Sorry for what I did, | 我对自己的所作所为道歉 |
[26:44] | but I… I would beg you not to find me guilty. | 但我求你们别判我有罪 |
[26:47] | Because if I’m convicted, | 因为一旦我被判有罪 |
[26:48] | even when I pass the bar, | 即使我通过律师资格考试 |
[26:50] | I will not ever be allowed to practice my beloved law again. | 我也没有机会成为律师 捍卫我热爱的法律了 |
[27:00] | Also, this will be the first case I ever lose. | 而且这将成为我输的第一个案子 |
[27:09] | Benny! | 本尼 |
[27:17] | Terrific. | 棒极了 |
[27:18] | I’m here. | 我在这 |
[27:20] | Oh, it’s Benny of Arc. | 圣男本尼 |
[27:25] | Don’t make fun. | 别开玩笑了 |
[27:27] | My back has declared war on the rest of my body. | 我都累得直不起腰了 |
[27:30] | It’s all in your head. | 你想多了 |
[27:32] | Nope. It’s all in my back. | 不 我的背真的很疼 |
[27:36] | Why are you in such a good mood? | 你怎么这么开心 |
[27:37] | I have completed my service as juror. | 我尽了陪审员的职责 |
[27:41] | The accused was found not guilty. | 被告被判无罪 |
[27:43] | Unanimously. | 陪审团一致同意 |
[27:45] | But the big news is, | 但更重要的是 |
[27:46] | I am back on the team. | 我归来了 |
[27:48] | Ready to head into court | 做好了一切出庭的准备 |
[27:49] | and fight for the freedom of our delightful client. | 随时可以为我们那善解人意的客户的自由而战 |
[27:52] | Now, | 你怎么会 |
[27:53] | what’s making you so anxious that your back’s gone out? | 焦虑到背痛 |
[27:56] | The judge threw out our EED defense. | 法官否决了我们的精神障碍辩护 |
[27:59] | Didn’t even let me get through my opening statement. | 甚至不让我作完开庭陈词 |
[28:02] | Now my back’s starting to hurt. | 现在我的背也开始疼了 |
[28:10] | What if we lose? | 如果输了怎么办 |
[28:12] | Remember, we don’t have to change every juror’s mind. | 记住 我们不用改变所有陪审员的看法 |
[28:16] | Just one will get us a mistrial. | 只要改变一个 就能让判决无效 |
[28:18] | Three or four, and the D.A. might even dismiss the charges. | 若是能改变三 四个 地方检察官也许会撤诉 |
[28:21] | When you were a kid, you believed in Santa, didn’t you? | 你小时候相信圣诞老人存在 对吧 |
[28:24] | Till I was about 35. | 一直到三十五岁 我都这么相信 |
[28:28] | You think what she did was wrong? | 你觉得她做错了吗 |
[28:31] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:33] | You think punishing her for it is right? | 你觉得她应该为此受到惩罚吗 |
[28:36] | No. | 不 |
[28:37] | Me either. | 我也这么认为 |
[28:41] | Benny, we can win this thing. | 本尼 我们一定能赢 |
[28:44] | You have a plan B? | 你还有其他计划吗 |
[28:46] | I have a plan B-minus. | 我有一个稍显逊色的计划 |
[28:50] | It’s not great, and it still presents the same big problem. | 还不够周全 也会引起同样严重的问题 |
[28:55] | Okay. Lay it on me. | 和我说说 |
[28:57] | We go in there tomorrow and announce a new defense theory. | 明天开庭后 我们给出一个新的辩护理论 |
[29:00] | It’s called defense of others. | 为他人进行防卫 |
[29:04] | Defense of others. I know it well. | 为他人进行防卫 我对此了如指掌 |
[29:06] | It’s kind of like self-defense, only we argue that | 这就像自卫 我们只要证明 |
[29:09] | Heather shot that man in order to protect her daughter. | 希瑟射杀那个男人是为了保护她的女儿 |
[29:12] | Which I believe with all my heart is the truth. | 而我相信这正是她那么做的原因 |
[29:16] | Just can’t figure out how to prove it. | 只是想不出该如何证明 |
[29:18] | Great. The pain is back. | 太好了 我的背又开始疼了 |
[29:28] | Who did you say it was? | 你说谁来了 |
[29:30] | A friend of your mom’s. | 你妈妈的朋友 |
[29:33] | Hello? | 你好 |
[29:36] | Penny Spiro. | 彭妮·斯皮罗 |
[29:37] | I’m Dr. Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[29:40] | Sorry to show up on your doorstep | 很抱歉这么早 |
[29:42] | so early in the morning, but I’m part | 来叨扰你 |
[29:43] | of your mom’s legal team, | 我是你母亲的辩护团队之一 |
[29:45] | and I desperately need you to do two things I’ve been told | 我迫切需要你去做两件 |
[29:47] | you’re not gonna want to do. | 你不愿做的事 |
[29:49] | I won’t testify. | 我不会去作证的 |
[29:51] | That’s only the first one. | 这是第一件 |
[29:54] | I also need you to convince your mom to let you do it. | 我还需要你说服你母亲 让你出庭作证 |
[29:57] | It’s a pretty simple system. Uh, four cameras. | 这是个很简单的系统 共有四台摄像机 |
[30:00] | Three inside the store. | 三个在商场内 |
[30:02] | One that focuses on the cash register | 一台对着收银台 |
[30:03] | and the customers as they pay. | 和付钱的顾客 |
[30:05] | Two that show customers walking through the aisles of the store | 两台从商店两侧 |
[30:07] | from opposite sides of the store. | 拍摄过道中的顾客 |
[30:09] | And a wireless camera, mounted without permission | 还有一台无线摄像机 未经许可 |
[30:12] | on the lamp post outside the store, presumably, | 装在了商店外的灯柱上 大概是为了 |
[30:14] | to capture people coming into and out of the store, | 拍摄进出商店的人员 |
[30:17] | specifically those who haven’t paid. | 尤其是那些没付钱的 |
[30:19] | Shoplifters, that kind of thing. | 商店扒手之类的 |
[30:21] | And when you examined the DVR, what did you discover? | 当你查看录像时 你发现了什么 |
[30:25] | I discovered that on four consecutive days, | 我发现从六月十一号开始 |
[30:27] | beginning with June 11, | 连续四天 |
[30:29] | the defendant planted herself outside the store. | 被告一直待在商店外 |
[30:33] | Twice in her car, twice on foot. | 两次在车内 两次步行 |
[30:35] | And in your professional opinion, | 以你的专业意见 |
[30:37] | – what was she doing? – Objection, Your Honor. | – 你觉得她在干什么 – 反对 法官大人 |
[30:40] | The assistant district attorney is asking | 区助理检察官让证人 |
[30:41] | the witness to speculate. | 作毫无根据的臆测 |
[30:43] | She’s asking a professional investigator | 她是在让一个专业调查员 |
[30:45] | to give her expert opinion | 基于现有证据 |
[30:46] | based on the evidence in front of her. | 给出专业见解 |
[30:48] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[30:50] | You may answer the question. | 证人请回答 |
[30:52] | Waiting. She’s waiting. | 等待 她在等待 |
[30:55] | Waiting. | 等待 |
[30:56] | Any idea for what? | 你知道她在等什么吗 |
[30:57] | Well, I think that became apparent | 我认为答案在第五天 |
[30:59] | on the fifth day, when she executed Mr. Briggs. | 就水落石出了 她杀了布里格斯先生 |
[31:03] | The prosecution has no further questions for this witness. | 检方没有其他地方了 |
[31:05] | I need to hear something positive. | 你最好告诉我些好消息 |
[31:07] | Well, this jury is positively unanimous. | 陪审团意见出奇地一致 |
[31:10] | Defense will cross-examine this witness after the lunch break. | 辩方可在午休后对检方证人进行交叉盘问 |
[31:13] | Court is in recess. | 现在休庭 |
[31:14] | Thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[31:17] | Nice of you to join us. | 谢谢你终于肯露面了 |
[31:19] | Ah. I thought so, too. | 不客气 |
[31:27] | Oh, my God. Penny. | 天呐 彭妮 |
[31:35] | I told Dr. Bull everything. | 我把一切都告诉布尔博士了 |
[31:43] | That I’m the reason all this happened. | 这一切都是因为我 |
[31:47] | And I want to take the stand. | 我愿意出庭作证 |
[31:50] | Penny… | 彭妮 |
[31:53] | Could you please tell the jury about the day | 请向陪审团描述一下 |
[31:56] | they found Ella and caught the man who killed her? | 警方找到埃拉并抓住凶手的那天 |
[32:00] | Well… it was the worst day of my life. | 那是我一生中最糟糕的一天 |
[32:06] | And also, | 莫名的 |
[32:09] | weirdly, kind of the best. | 也算是最好的一天 |
[32:12] | How do you mean? | 此话怎讲 |
[32:16] | it was horrible because it… | 糟糕是因为 |
[32:20] | it was the moment I absolutely knew my sister was gone. | 那天我得知自己的妹妹已经离世 |
[32:27] | There was no denying it. | 事实如此 无法否认 |
[32:30] | She was never coming back. | 她再也回不来了 |
[32:35] | But later that night, um, | 但当天夜里 |
[32:39] | it finally started to sink in that they caught him, | 警方抓住了杀死我妹妹的凶手后 |
[32:43] | the guy who did it. | 我的心情才有所平复 |
[32:45] | They had him, and he was going | 他被抓了 进了监狱 |
[32:48] | to prison forever. | 永远也不会出来 |
[32:53] | I remember my mother holding me | 我记得妈妈抱紧我 |
[32:59] | and telling me… it was going to be okay. | 告诉我说 一切都会好起来 |
[33:06] | That it… it may never go back to the way it was. | 也许我们的生活不能回到过去 |
[33:11] | But it would go back to a new normal. | 但我们会有一个新的开始 |
[33:16] | I could live my life again. | 我可以继续自己的人生 |
[33:19] | I could leave my house. | 我能走出家门 |
[33:22] | I… I could go to school, see my, see my friends. | 去上学 见朋友 |
[33:25] | In a couple of years, go to college. | 几年后去上大学 |
[33:29] | Have a future. | 创造自己的未来 |
[33:32] | We were safe. | 当时的我们终于重获安全感 |
[33:35] | And then? | 然后发生了什么 |
[33:39] | And then they let him out of jail. | 然后他们把凶手释放了 |
[33:44] | And I realized | 我意识到 |
[33:46] | there was never gonna be a normal. | 一切再也无法回归正常 |
[33:49] | And what did that feel like? | 你们当时有何感受 |
[33:53] | We were terrified. | 我们吓坏了 |
[33:55] | I was terrified. | 我很害怕 |
[33:58] | My mom had to drive me to and from school again. | 妈妈只能重新开始接送我上下学 |
[34:01] | And, uh, when we got home, | 我们一到家 |
[34:05] | we’d lock the doors and check the windows. | 就会紧缩门窗 |
[34:08] | And… I didn’t see my friends. | 我也没法和朋友相见 |
[34:13] | I didn’t play soccer. | 再也没去踢足球 |
[34:15] | I dropped out of chorus. | 退出了合唱队 |
[34:17] | And it just | 这种情况 |
[34:18] | went on like this? | 持续了多久 |
[34:21] | F… for a few months. | 几个月 |
[34:24] | So I went to my mom and I told her that if I couldn’t | 我告诉妈妈 如果我无法像普通人一样生活 |
[34:27] | live a normal life, that I was going to kill myself. | 我就会自杀 |
[34:36] | And what was her reaction to that? | 她对此作何反应 |
[34:38] | We started experimenting. | 之后我们开始不断尝试 |
[34:41] | I… I’d go out for, like, an hour. | 比如 我可以出门一小时 |
[34:46] | Or I’d walk home from school with a friend. | 或者放学后和朋友一起走回家 |
[34:50] | I knew those must have been | 我知道 我外出的那段时间 |
[34:51] | the longest hours for my mother, | 对我妈妈而言是最难熬的 |
[34:54] | but I started to feel alive again. | 但是 我感觉自己重新活过来了 |
[34:57] | And… | 之后 |
[34:59] | what happened on June 10? | 六月十号发生了什么事 |
[35:02] | I was walking home from school and I felt like a soda, | 放学回家时 我想喝苏打水 |
[35:05] | so I stopped at the bodega. | 就进了那家杂货店 |
[35:07] | By yourself? | 就你自己吗 |
[35:09] | Uh, by myself. | 对 我一个人 |
[35:10] | And, um, I went to the refrigerator case | 我走到冰柜前 |
[35:14] | and I grabbed a can | 拿起一罐苏打水 |
[35:18] | and I turned around and he was standing there. | 一转身 发现他就站在那 |
[35:22] | Mr. Briggs? | 布里格斯先生吗 |
[35:25] | And did he say anything to you? | 他对你说了什么吗 |
[35:27] | No. He was just staring at me. | 没有 他只是盯着我看 |
[35:30] | Did he touch you? | 他碰你了吗 |
[35:33] | Try to reach out to you? | 有伸手去抓你吗 |
[35:34] | No. | 没有 |
[35:36] | And what did you do? | 你作何反应 |
[35:38] | I put the can down and I ran out of there. | 我扔掉苏打水 径直跑了出来 |
[35:41] | Did you go home? | 直接回家了吗 |
[35:42] | No. I… I went to the coffee shop next door and I called my mom. | 没有 我去了旁边的咖啡店 给妈妈打了电话 |
[35:47] | And she came and picked me up. | 她来接我回家 |
[35:49] | That was on June 10, | 那天是六月十号 |
[35:51] | and on June 11 your mom began | 六月十一号 你妈妈 |
[35:52] | looking for Mr. Briggs at the bodega. | 开始在杂货店附近寻找布里格斯先生 |
[35:54] | Objection. | 反对 |
[35:55] | That’s not a question. Counsel is testifying. | 辩方律师在作证 |
[35:58] | I apologize, Your Honor. | 抱歉 法官大人 |
[36:00] | I just have one more question. | 还有一个问题 |
[36:03] | The last time | 在你妹妹的谋杀案 |
[36:04] | you were in court, during your little sister’s murder trial, | 进行庭审时 你最后一次 |
[36:09] | you were on the stand, | 出庭作证 |
[36:10] | and there was something that A.D.A. Wakefield | 助理检察官韦克菲尔德 拒绝让你 |
[36:13] | wouldn’t allow you to say | 在证人席上将一些事公之于众 |
[36:16] | that was important to you. | 而那些事至关重要 |
[36:19] | You want to say it now? | 你现在想说出来吗 |
[36:21] | Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[36:22] | Sit down, Ms. Wakefield. | 坐下 韦克菲尔德女士 |
[36:26] | I just wanted to tell the court | 我只是想说 |
[36:30] | that I heard his voice. | 他闯进我家的那晚 |
[36:33] | When he broke in that night | 我听到了他的声音 |
[36:36] | and covered my head | 他用袋子蒙住了我的头 |
[36:38] | and put me in the closet, he spoke to me, | 将我锁进了衣橱 并对我说 |
[36:41] | and I knew instantly | 我立刻分辨出了 |
[36:45] | who it was. | 他的声音 |
[36:48] | We all knew who it was. | 我们都知道他是谁 |
[36:53] | Why did you let him out? | 你们为什么要释放他 |
[36:59] | The defense rests, Your Honor. | 辩方没有问题了 法官大人 |
[37:02] | I can’t explain it, | 我也不明白其中原因 |
[37:04] | but nothing is moving here. | 但镜面陪审员对此毫无反应 |
[37:19] | Hey, Dr. Bull. | 你好 布尔博士 |
[37:20] | Hey, Cable. | 你好 凯博 |
[37:35] | Uh, yeah, I just put everything right over there. | 我把东西都收拾起来放在那了 |
[37:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[37:44] | Gabriel. | 加夫列尔 |
[37:46] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[37:48] | My name. My name is Gabriel. | 我的名字 我叫加夫列尔 |
[37:50] | Okay. | 知道了 |
[37:53] | But yours can’t seriously be Danny, right? | 你并不叫丹尼 对吧 |
[37:58] | Danielle. | 我叫丹妮尔 |
[37:59] | Ah, you see, well, that makes more sense. | 这才说得通 |
[38:02] | Listen, can you tell | 能麻烦你转告你朋友的家人 |
[38:03] | your… your friend’s family that | 我必须把东西 |
[38:05] | I… I need to clean the place out? | 都清理出去吗 |
[38:07] | It’s just, the landlord wants | 房东想把 |
[38:09] | to put the apartment back on the market. | 这间公寓重新租出去 |
[38:13] | Yeah, I’ll… I’ll let ’em know. | 我会转告他们的 |
[38:19] | I would like to go to the funeral. | 我想参加你朋友的葬礼 |
[38:22] | Or the memorial, whatever it is that they’re having. | 或者悼念仪式 无论他们举办什么 |
[38:28] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[38:31] | I’ll… I’ll find you, I’ll, um, | 我会通知你的 |
[38:32] | I’ll let you know when I… I hear something. | 我收到消息后就联系你 |
[38:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[38:38] | No, please. | 接电话吧 |
[38:39] | Excuse me. | 抱歉 |
[38:40] | Hello. | 你好 |
[38:42] | Oh, my God. Uh, yeah. | 天呐 |
[38:46] | Work, um… | 是工作上的事 |
[38:48] | A jury we’ve been waiting for just came in. | 陪审团终于给出判决了 |
[38:50] | Ah. Thanks again for your helps. | 谢谢你的帮忙 |
[38:52] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[38:56] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:00] | It seems in the matter of The State v. Heather Spiro, | 在州诉希瑟·斯皮罗一案中 |
[39:04] | our jury is hopelessly deadlocked. | 陪审团完全陷入了僵局 |
[39:07] | I say “Hopelessly” Because, according to this note, | 我之所以说”完全” 是因为根据这张纸条 |
[39:09] | while six of our jurors find the defendant guilty, | 六位陪审员认为被告无罪 |
[39:13] | six believe her to be innocent. | 其余六位认为她有罪 |
[39:16] | I see no other choice but to declare a mistrial. | 我别无选择 只能宣布审判无效 |
[39:20] | Would the prosecutor like to schedule a date for a retrial? | 检方想另择日期 重新审理此案吗 |
[39:34] | I believe, in their inability to send a unified verdict, | 我相信 陪审团无法得出一致的裁决 |
[39:37] | our jurors are sending an important message. | 这背后一定有着深意 |
[39:40] | Perhaps because of all these months served behind bars, | 也许是因为被告已经在监狱服刑了几个月 |
[39:43] | perhaps in the loss of a child, | 也许是因为她失去了一个孩子 |
[39:46] | justice has already been served. | 正义已经得到了伸张 |
[39:48] | The State no longer believes | 检方认为被告不会对社会 |
[39:49] | this woman is a threat to society, and with that in mind, | 造成威胁 基于这点 |
[39:52] | in the interest of justice, we move to dismiss all charges. | 并本着维护正义的原则 检方撤销所有指控 |
[40:54] | Can I help you? You look a little lost. | 需要帮忙吗 你好像迷路了 |
[40:56] | I’m sorry, uh, | 抱歉 |
[40:58] | my name is Ellen McCrory. | 我是埃伦·麦克罗里 |
[41:00] | My daughter used to work here. | 我女儿以前在这工作 |
[41:01] | I’m just here to pick up some of her things. | 我来取她的东西 |
[41:05] | Boy, this is so not what I pictured. | 天呐 这里和我想象的大相径庭 |
[41:08] | Mrs. McCrory. | 麦克罗里夫人 |
[41:11] | Cable’s mother. | 凯博的妈妈 |
[41:14] | I’m so sorry. | 请节哀 |
[41:17] | I’m Jason Bull. Your daughter worked for me | 我是杰森·布尔 你女儿的老板 |
[41:22] | You’re him. | 就是你啊 |
[41:25] | Well, she, uh, she talked about you a lot. | 她常常和我提起你 |
[41:27] | Ah. Lies. Nothing but lies. | 别信她说的 一字一句都别信 |
[41:33] | I miss her… | 我很想念她 |
[41:38] | Stay right here. I’ll get somebody to help you. | 请在这稍等 我这就叫人来 |
[41:40] | Okay, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[42:02] | Marissa, do me a favor. | 玛丽莎 帮我个忙 |
[42:05] | Cable’s mom is in the War Room, | 凯博的妈妈在战略室 |
[42:08] | and she’s looking a little lost, so… | 她似乎有点不知所措 请你… |
[42:13] | Exactly. | 对 |
[42:15] | Appreciate it. | 感谢 |
[42:16] | Thanks. | 谢谢你 |