时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | Ladies and gentlemen, Whitney Holland. | 女士们 先生们 有请惠特尼·霍兰德 |
[00:11] | I grew up on a farm. | 我在一个农场长大 |
[00:14] | Couple hundred acres. | 几百英亩的大农场 |
[00:17] | Every day, | 每天 |
[00:19] | my dad would go out to the field. | 我父亲都会去田里 |
[00:21] | Bale hay, | 捆干草 |
[00:23] | feed slop to the pigs, | 喂喂猪 |
[00:25] | shovel cow dung. | 铲牛粪 |
[00:29] | I can still smell that cow dung. | 我到现在还能闻到那股牛粪味 |
[00:34] | And then the summer before my ninth birthday, | 在我九岁生日前的那个夏天 |
[00:38] | there was this amazing heat wave, | 前所未有的热浪袭来 |
[00:42] | and with it, this unrelenting drought. | 随之而来的 是无边无际的干旱 |
[00:46] | The kind of drought that just seems to go on forever. | 旱得彷佛永远看不到尽头 |
[00:50] | And I remember my dad doing everything he could | 我记得我爸爸尽其所能 |
[00:52] | to save the crops, save the animals, | 去保住庄稼 保住动物 |
[00:57] | but the crops dried up. | 但庄稼还是干枯了 |
[01:01] | Animals started to die. | 动物们也陆续死去 |
[01:04] | And then, one late August morning, | 然后在一个八月下旬的早晨 |
[01:06] | my father dropped dead in a cornfield. | 父亲突然倒在了一片玉米地里 |
[01:10] | Dehydration and heart failure. | 死于极度脱水和心脏衰竭 |
[01:13] | He was 32 years old. | 他那年三十二岁 |
[01:16] | By the way, I’m not talking about India | 大家注意 我说的可不是在印度 |
[01:20] | or Africa. | 或是非洲 |
[01:22] | I’m talking 150 miles | 我说的地方就在 |
[01:25] | up the New York State Thruway. | 纽约州高速向北150英里 |
[01:27] | Less than three hours from this vast body of water. | 从这片广阔水域过去只要不到三小时 |
[01:32] | Makes no sense. | 不合理啊 |
[01:35] | In a world with so much water, | 在这样一片水源富足的地方 |
[01:38] | why are so many people without? | 为什么这么多人没有水 |
[01:45] | This… | 这… |
[01:48] | …is the Freshwater Honeycomb. | …就是”淡水蜂巢” |
[01:51] | It’s a passive, nonelectrical desalination tool. | 这是一款被动的 非电气的去盐化设备 |
[01:55] | It acts like a chemical magnet, | 它就像一个化学磁铁 |
[01:57] | separating salt from water on a molecular level. | 将盐分在分子层面从水中分离 |
[02:01] | It’s inexpensive | 这东西不贵 |
[02:03] | and doesn’t rely on any exhaustible energy sources. | 也不依赖于任何可耗尽的能源 |
[02:09] | Imagine this, ladies and gentlemen, | 想象一下吧 女士们先生们 |
[02:11] | happening on a global scale. | 当它以全球的规模运作 |
[02:14] | An endless supply of water | 源源不断的水供应 |
[02:16] | provided by the world’s five oceans, | 将来自于世界上的五个大洋 |
[02:18] | hundreds of rivers, and thousands of lakes, | 上百条河流 上千个湖泊 |
[02:21] | and purified by the Freshwater Honeycomb. | 再经过”淡水蜂巢”净化 |
[02:25] | My tech team tells me we’re only 90 days away. | 我的技术团队说再过九十天就能发布了 |
[02:43] | So who wants in? | 那么有人想加入吗 |
[02:49] | Come on in. | 请进 |
[02:53] | I hear you told them 90 days. | 我听见你告诉他们只要九十天 |
[02:57] | To scale up to what? | 九十天我们能扩张到什么级别 |
[02:58] | 25 million gallons a day? | 每天产两千五百万加仑吗 |
[03:00] | That would be a good start. | 作为开头挺不错的 |
[03:02] | You know that’s not gonna happen. | 你知道这是不可能的 |
[03:04] | Not in 90 days, maybe not in 90 years. | 九十天达不到 甚至九十年也不一定 |
[03:07] | No, I don’t know that’s not going to happen, | 不 我不知道它是否不可能发生 |
[03:10] | and you don’t either. | 你也不知道 |
[03:11] | Whitney, not every problem can be solved | 惠特尼 不是每个问题都能 |
[03:15] | simply by adding enthusiasm. | 单靠注入热情解决 |
[03:16] | Okay, Derek, it’s 10:00 at night. | 好吧 德雷克 已经晚上十点了 |
[03:20] | What do you need? Some new piece of software? | 你想要什么 新的软件吗 |
[03:23] | What… what new gizmo do you need? | 你还缺什么新玩意儿 |
[03:25] | What… what new biochemist do you want me to try to steal from… | 需要我从哪里挖几个新的生化学家过来吗 |
[03:27] | It’s none of that. | 不是这些 |
[03:28] | Whitney, I’m done. I’m just done. | 惠特尼 我不干了 就是不干了 |
[03:32] | You keep taking people’s money, promising them the moon, | 你不断从人们手里拿钱 然后许下空头支票 |
[03:35] | and I’m supposed to be your Neil Armstrong | 而我却要充当你的登月英雄 |
[03:36] | and give it to them, and I’m telling you I can’t. | 把这玩意给他们 但我办不到 |
[03:39] | What? Derek, we’ve been here before. | 你说什么 德雷克 我们之前不也是这样吗 |
[03:42] | You’re just tired. You’re nowhere near done. | 你就是累了 你根本不是不想干 |
[03:45] | 500 gallons is great for a demonstration, | 五百加仑足够做展示了 |
[03:47] | but we need to prove we can scale up | 但我们得证明”淡水蜂巢” |
[03:50] | the Freshwater Honeycomb to handle whole municipalities, | 还有升级空间 足以应对市级的供水系统 |
[03:53] | city water systems, state water… | 甚至全州的… |
[03:55] | I’ve been trying to tell you for a month. | 我最近一个月都想跟你说 |
[03:57] | It can’t. You know it. We both know it. | 这成不了 你心里清楚 我们都清楚 |
[04:01] | And tomorrow the D.A. is gonna know it. | 而且明天地方检察官也会清楚 |
[04:21] | How did he score vacation time? | 他是怎么得到假期时间的 |
[04:23] | He didn’t, not that I’m aware of. | 他没有 据我所知 |
[04:29] | Beautiful. | 真漂亮 |
[04:31] | I’m still using the ones I got in college. | 我现在还在用我大学时候的箱子 |
[04:35] | Funny you should say that. They’re for my daughter. | 有意思了 这些是给我女儿的 |
[04:37] | Your daughter? You guys are taking a trip together? | 你女儿 你们要一起旅行吗 |
[04:40] | She called me last night. She won a scholarship, | 她昨晚给我打电话 她申到了奖学金 |
[04:43] | a journalism scholarship, | 一个新闻学奖学金 |
[04:45] | to study abroad for six months in Jordan. | 出国去约旦学习半年 |
[04:48] | Jordan, ah, Middle East. | 约旦啊 中东那边 |
[04:52] | How do you feel about that? | 你觉得如何 |
[04:54] | Thrilled, excited, proud of her. | 棒呆 激动 为她自豪 |
[04:59] | Scared for her. | 也替她担心 |
[05:01] | The packet that they sent | 他们发过来的介绍 |
[05:02] | keeps talking about how safe it is, | 一直在说那地方有多安全 |
[05:04] | even though we know it’s in a part of the world that, | 尽管大家都知道它处于世界上一个 |
[05:05] | you know, is a little scary. | 有点可怕的地方 |
[05:08] | But if you want to be a journalist, | 但如果你想成为一个记者 |
[05:09] | a serious journalist, and she does… | 真正的记者 而这正是她想做的… |
[05:11] | My God. | 天呐 |
[05:13] | 1,500 students applied, and they picked her. | 1500个学生申请了 而他们挑中了她 |
[05:16] | I mean, you’re looking at a guy who didn’t leave Georgia | 你面前这个男的 从来没有离开过佐治亚州 |
[05:19] | until he was 18 years old. | 直到他十八岁 |
[05:21] | It is obscene how proud I am. | 我他妈真是太自豪了 |
[05:30] | I’m guessing you’ve read the papers, | 我想你已经读过报了 |
[05:33] | seen the reports. | 看了那些报道 |
[05:35] | The federal government is taking me to court. | 联邦政府把我告上了法庭 |
[05:39] | Criminal court. Uh… | 刑事法庭 |
[05:40] | Charging me with two counts of conspiracy to commit fraud, | 起诉我涉嫌两起串谋诈骗 |
[05:45] | nine counts of wire fraud, | 九起电汇诈骗 |
[05:48] | some other, less consequential things | 还有些别的 不是很严重的罪名 |
[05:51] | that I can’t remember right now, | 我一下子想不起来了 |
[05:53] | though all the charges do end with the word “fraud.” | 反正所有的指控都以”诈骗”二字结尾 |
[05:57] | You’re on the front page. | 你在头版头条 |
[06:00] | Oh, that’s | 这可真是 |
[06:01] | pithy. | 够精简 |
[06:03] | So, why do you think the government | 那么为什么政府会 |
[06:06] | is suddenly coming after you? | 突然找上你来 |
[06:08] | My friend… | 我的朋友… |
[06:10] | my head of R&D, | 我在研发部的头儿 |
[06:14] | he just became convinced we were chasing a ghost, | 他突然很确信我们以前做的都是无用功 |
[06:18] | that there was no way we could get to where we needed to go, | 我们不可能达成曾经的目标 |
[06:20] | so he went to the Feds. | 然后他就去找警察了 |
[06:23] | But why do that? | 但为什么要这么做呢 |
[06:24] | If he was unhappy, why not just quit? | 如果他不满意 离职不就好了 |
[06:27] | I think I became so good | 我猜我在筹款方面 |
[06:31] | at raising money that he got spooked. | 做得太好了以致于激怒了他 |
[06:34] | And when it was just a lark, when we had no money, | 一开始一切都还只是闹着玩 我们没钱 |
[06:37] | no one to answer to, | 没有人理我们 |
[06:39] | there was no pressure. | 那时候也没有压力 |
[06:40] | But when people heard what we were up to, | 但是当人们听说了我们在干嘛 |
[06:43] | they started throwing money at us. | 他们开始给我们疯狂投钱 |
[06:45] | I mean, it’s been a wild couple of years. | 这几年真的很疯狂 |
[06:50] | But the more successful we got, | 但我们越成功 |
[06:52] | the more Derek just froze. | 德雷克就越冷淡 |
[06:56] | I’m guessing he thought that if he could | 我想他可能以为只要他能 |
[07:00] | recast himself as the whistleblower | 把自己重塑为一个告密者 |
[07:03] | rather than the co-conspirator, | 而不是一个合谋犯 |
[07:05] | that he might be able to work again. | 那他也许还能接着干 |
[07:08] | The government is claiming your water desalination technology | 政府称你们的淡水去盐化技术 |
[07:12] | is incapable of being applied to anything other than | 并不能得到广泛应用 |
[07:14] | personal use application, | 仅限于个人使用 |
[07:16] | but that in your pitches and demonstrations and | 但在你们的招标书和发布会上 |
[07:20] | investment prospectuses, | 以及投资招股说明书里 |
[07:22] | you’ve been selling it as the answer | 你们都在把它宣传为应对 |
[07:24] | to the global water shortage. | 全球水资源短缺的最后答案 |
[07:27] | They say you’re peddling a pipe dream. | 他们认为你们是在做白日梦 |
[07:30] | Look, I’m not a nut. | 听着 我也不傻 |
[07:34] | I’m not a scam artist. | 我不是个江湖骗子 |
[07:36] | I’m not saying I’ve discovered something | 我没有说我发明的东西 |
[07:39] | that can help you lose weight or make your hair grow back. | 能帮助你减肥 或者是让你生发 |
[07:42] | I’m not saying I can help women | 我也没说我能让女性 |
[07:44] | fill out their bikinis or men look more manly | 穿比基尼的时候更丰满或者让男人穿泳裤时 |
[07:48] | in their Speedos. | 看着更阳刚 |
[07:49] | I’m saying I can help quench the thirst of the world. | 我说的是 我能帮助世界解渴 |
[07:55] | I can help water crops in a desert. | 我能浇灌沙漠里的作物 |
[07:57] | The ramifications are huge. | 这些东西影响重大 |
[07:59] | I mean… look, there are four things | 听着 有四件事情 |
[08:02] | every human being on this planet needs: | 是地球上每一个人都需要的: |
[08:04] | air to breathe, food to eat, | 呼吸的空气 吃的食物 |
[08:07] | a piece of land to stand on, | 一片生存的土地 |
[08:10] | and water. | 和水 |
[08:13] | You figure out the water part, | 你只要解决了水的问题 |
[08:15] | everything else falls into place. | 其他东西都能就位 |
[08:17] | You can grow more food, | 你能培育更多食物 |
[08:19] | you can plant more trees to help create more oxygen, | 能种更多树来造更多氧气 |
[08:21] | and people can live anywhere, | 人们可以住在任何地方 |
[08:24] | no matter the climate. | 不论气候如何 |
[08:27] | This is real. This matters. | 这是真的 这很重要 |
[08:31] | I get that the guy choked, | 我能理解那男的临阵逃脱了 |
[08:33] | but why sell her out to the government? | 但他为什么要把她出卖给政府呢 |
[08:35] | It just doesn’t make sense to me. | 这根本不可理喻 |
[08:37] | Well, it’s all about the money. As soon as he called the Feds, | 还不都是钱的问题 一旦他上报了联邦警察 |
[08:39] | he stopped being a disgruntled employee | 他就不再是一个怨声载道的职员 |
[08:41] | and became classified as an SEC whistleblower. | 而成了一个证监会保密的举报人 |
[08:44] | And as an SEC whistleblower, if the government wins, | 而成为证监会举报人后 只要政府胜诉 |
[08:47] | he gets a percentage of whatever cash judgment the court levies. | 他就能从法庭判决的现金处罚中分一杯羹 |
[08:50] | The plot thickens. | 问题很复杂 |
[08:55] | You’re not gonna represent her, are you? | 你不会去代理她这个案子的吧 |
[08:59] | What’s your issue, Benny? | 你怎么了 本尼 |
[09:01] | First of all, you promised me | 首先 你答应过我 |
[09:03] | that I could have some say in the cases we take around here. | 对于我们接什么样的案子 我有一定话语权 |
[09:06] | And second of all, we just sat with that woman | 其次 我们刚刚和那女的 |
[09:09] | for a half an hour, and she didn’t say a single thing | 待了半个小时 她没有说任何 |
[09:12] | I can use to mount a defense. | 我能用来进行辩护的事情 |
[09:14] | Do you believe what she told you? | 你相信她告诉你的事吗 |
[09:16] | Do you believe she was lying to you? | 你相信她向你撒谎了吗 |
[09:18] | I’m not sure that’s relevant. | 这有什么关系呢 |
[09:21] | I think it’s the only thing that is relevant. | 我觉得这是唯一有关系的事 |
[09:23] | If she believes what she’s saying, | 如果她相信自己所说的 |
[09:25] | what she’s selling, then there is no criminal intent. | 所营销的 那么她就没有犯罪意图 |
[09:28] | And if there is no criminal intent, | 而如果没有犯罪意图 |
[09:31] | then there is no crime. | 那么犯罪就不成立 |
[09:32] | But, Bull, how do we do that? | 但是 布尔 我们要怎么办呢 |
[09:35] | How do we prove what someone does or doesn’t believe? | 我们该怎么证明一个人心里是怎么想的呢 |
[09:39] | Especially if the thing that she believes in | 特别是如果她相信的是一件 |
[09:41] | doesn’t actually exist? | 根本不存在的事 |
[09:43] | Well, for what it’s worth, I believe her. | 无论如何 我相信她 |
[09:45] | You think she can change seawater into drinking water? | 你认为她可以把海水变成饮用水 |
[09:48] | You believe she can change the world? | 你相信她可以改变世界 |
[09:50] | I believe she believes she can. | 我相信她相信自己可以做到 |
[09:51] | Of course you do. Well, I don’t. | 你当然相信了 但我不信 |
[09:53] | Benny… | 本尼 |
[09:56] | I told you that I would listen to you, | 我告诉过你我会听你的意见 |
[09:58] | and I have listened to you, | 而且我也听了 |
[10:00] | and what you said mattered to me, | 并且你的意见对我很重要 |
[10:03] | but I’m taking the case. | 但是这案子我接了 |
[10:16] | So, how does this work? | 所以 我们怎么办 |
[10:18] | Well, today is about trying to select a jury | 今天我们会挑选陪审团成员 |
[10:20] | that’s at least open to hearing the arguments | 这些人至少得愿意倾听 |
[10:24] | we’re gonna make in court. | 我们将在法庭上发表的观点 |
[10:25] | And how do we do that? | 这怎么做得到呢 |
[10:26] | Yes, Dr. Bull, how do we do that? | 是啊 布尔博士 这要怎么做得到呢 |
[10:30] | Well, the first thing we have to try and do | 首先我们必须试着去 |
[10:33] | is reframe what this trial is about. | 重新架构这次审讯的目的 |
[10:36] | The assistant United States attorney | 在给你定罪之前 |
[10:37] | wants to make it about the things you promised | 助理联邦检察官想要成功地 |
[10:41] | versus the things you were actually able to accomplish | 将你所承诺的事情和你实际能够完成的事情 |
[10:43] | before they pulled the plug on you. | 对立起来 |
[10:45] | Well, that is | 是啊 那就是 |
[10:47] | what the trial is about. | 这次审讯的主要内容了 |
[10:49] | Not if we have anything to do with it. | 如果我们有对策 就不会是那样 |
[10:52] | I want to use the jury selection process to put the idea in their head | 我想要利用选择陪审团成员的过程给他们灌输一种想法 |
[10:56] | that what this is really about | 也就是说这场审讯的真正目的 |
[10:59] | is something different entirely. | 是完全不同的 |
[11:00] | And that would be? | 而那是什么呢 |
[11:01] | Belief systems. | 信仰体系 |
[11:03] | There are people who believed for the longest time | 很长一段时期中 人们相信 |
[11:06] | that phones had to be black, with rotary dials, | 电话必须是黑色的 必须是旋转拨号盘 |
[11:09] | and be connected with wires that disappeared into the wall | 连接着消失在墙里面的电线 |
[11:12] | and ran from pole to pole along the side of the road. | 沿着路边从一点串到另外一点 |
[11:16] | And that that’s what phones are | 那就是电话应该有的样子 |
[11:17] | and that’s what phones will always be. | 那就是电话永远该有的样子 |
[11:20] | That cars could only run on gasoline, | 汽车只能靠汽油来跑 |
[11:22] | that movies could only be seen on giant screens | 电影只能在有空调的影院 |
[11:26] | in air-conditioned theaters, and that news | 在巨大的荧幕上放映 新闻只能通过 |
[11:28] | could only be delivered via black newsprint on white paper. | 白纸黑字的报纸来传播 |
[11:32] | Flying cars. | 空中飞车 |
[11:35] | Anybody here think we’ll ever see them? | 这里有人认为这有一天会实现吗 |
[11:39] | In our lifetime? | 在我们的有生之年吗 |
[11:43] | Maybe we got a live one. | 也许我们有一个可用的 |
[11:44] | Well, don’t anybody get their hopes up. | 可别抱什么希望 |
[11:47] | David Murphy is a financial planner, | 大卫·墨菲是一个理财规划师 |
[11:48] | considers himself fiscally conservative. | 自认为在财务上持保守态度 |
[11:51] | Doesn’t seem like he’d fit the bill. | 他似乎并不符合要求 |
[11:53] | Well, you might be right. You might be wrong. | 你可能是对的 也可能是错的 |
[11:56] | Hard to know without getting a peek at his belief system. | 如果不窥探一下他的信仰体系就很难知道结果 |
[12:00] | So you’re thinking, one of these days, you’ll be hovering | 所以你认为 将来的某一天 你将在自己全新的 |
[12:04] | over Fifth Avenue in your brand-new convertible. | 敞篷汽车里翱翔在第五大道上空 |
[12:07] | Something like that. | 大概是那样 |
[12:08] | And please don’t take this the wrong way, | 别误会 |
[12:10] | but you look like you’ve been around a while. | 但是你看起来已经活挺久了 |
[12:13] | Like you’ve seen a thing or two. | 已经有很多见识了 |
[12:15] | Where does all of this fanciful optimism come from? | 那么这种异想天开的乐观主义从何而来呢 |
[12:18] | It’s not fanciful optimism at all. | 这完全不是异想天开的乐观主义 |
[12:21] | It’s more like once bitten, twice shy. | 这更像是一朝被蛇咬 十年怕井绳 |
[12:23] | Ah. How do you mean? | 请解释一下是什么意思 |
[12:25] | Well, 20 years ago or so, | 大概二十年前 |
[12:27] | a man came to me for some investment capital. | 一个男人向我申请一些投资资本 |
[12:29] | He wanted to put it in a new company he was starting. | 他想要为自己新成立的公司集资 |
[12:32] | Said he was gonna sell books over the Internet. | 声称他将要在互联网上卖书 |
[12:35] | I absolutely did not understand. | 我当时当然不理解 |
[12:38] | I asked him, “How are the books going to come out of the computer? | 我问他 “书怎么能从电脑里出来 |
[12:41] | “Are they, are they gonna ooze out of the slot | 它们会从插软… 软盘的槽里 |
[12:43] | for the f… floppy disk?” | 溢出来吗” |
[12:45] | I… I basically threw him out of my office. | 我… 我几乎把他扔出了办公室 |
[12:47] | Do you know how rich I’d be if I had just been a better listener? | 你知道如果我好好听了他的主意 我现在能有多富吗 |
[12:52] | Can we clone this guy? | 我们能克隆这个家伙吗 |
[12:54] | Your Honor, this juror is acceptable to the defense. | 法官阁下 辩方接受这位陪审员 |
[12:58] | What about you? | 那么你呢 |
[12:59] | What about me? | 我怎么了 |
[13:01] | I read you dropped out of college. | 我听说你从大学退学了 |
[13:03] | I did. | 是的 |
[13:04] | I had this idea for the Freshwater Honeycomb | 我有了”淡水蜂巢”的主意 |
[13:07] | and I didn’t want to wait four years to get going on it. | 就不想再等四年才去投入做这件事 |
[13:10] | Well, the prosecution is gonna try and use | 检方会试图利用你缺乏正规教育 |
[13:12] | your lack of formal education as proof | 来作为你并不理解 |
[13:14] | that you don’t really know what you’re talking about. | 自己所述的证据 |
[13:16] | And then they’re gonna bring in a bunch of experts, | 然后他们会请一堆你前雇员德雷克 |
[13:18] | like your ex-employee Derek Goodman, | 一样的专家 |
[13:20] | that have all kinds of degrees and doctorates | 拥有各种各样的学位和博士学位 |
[13:23] | and associations with institutions of higher learning, | 还有高等教育机构联盟 |
[13:26] | and they are going to testify that you are just plain wrong. | 而他们将会证明你完全就是错的 |
[13:29] | Sounds delightful. | 听起来真愉快 |
[13:31] | That’s why I want to use voir dire to undermine that assertion. | 因此我想用预先审查来破坏这种论断 |
[13:34] | I’m sorry. You lost me. | 抱歉 我没懂 |
[13:36] | What assertion? | 什么论断 |
[13:37] | That there is a correlation | 一个人接受教育的程度 |
[13:38] | between the amount of education one receives | 和这个人是否有能力进行革新 |
[13:41] | and one’s ability to innovate. | 之间有必然关系 |
[13:44] | To see beyond what is there | 也就是他能否看到现存事物的未来 |
[13:45] | and imagine a thing that’s not there yet. | 并能想象出目前并不存在的事物 |
[13:49] | And I want to put that idea | 我想要把这种观念 |
[13:51] | out there before the trial even starts. | 在审讯开始之前就灌输给他们 |
[13:54] | How many people think there’s a relationship | 有多少人认为人们接受大学教育的时间 |
[13:57] | between the amount of time one spends | 和他们是否有能力 |
[13:59] | getting a college education | 改变世界 |
[14:01] | and their ability to change the world? | 之间有关系呢 |
[14:07] | So, Henry Ford. | 所以 亨利·福特 |
[14:10] | The founder of the Ford Motor Company | 福特汽车公司的创始人 |
[14:13] | and one of the earliest proponents of the assembly line, | 最早提出建设大规模批量生产 |
[14:16] | which ushered in the age of mass production. | 流水作业线的人之一 |
[14:19] | Lots of college? | 他上过大学吗 |
[14:21] | I don’t know. Did they even have college back then? | 我不知道 他们那时候有大学吗 |
[14:23] | I assure you they did. | 他们有 |
[14:25] | Well, then, yeah. I would suppose so. | 那么 我认为他上过大学 |
[14:27] | Actually, he never went. Not a single day. | 事实上 他从来没有上过 一天都没有 |
[14:31] | How about Coco Chanel? | 可可·香奈儿呢 |
[14:33] | Here is a woman who not only revolutionized | 是一位不仅在她的时代将时尚领域 |
[14:37] | fashion in her day, | 彻底革新的女人 |
[14:39] | but really sort of created the concept of branding, | 而且她真的创造出了品牌的概念 |
[14:44] | the idea of putting her name on a variety of products. | 将她的名字冠于多种多样的产品上 |
[14:47] | Did she go to college? | 她念过大学吗 |
[14:49] | Why are you picking on me? I… I don’t know. | 你为什么总问我 我… 我不知道 |
[14:51] | All… all these people are from a long time ago. | 所有… 所有这些人都是很久以前的人 |
[14:54] | True, true, true. | 对 对 对 |
[14:55] | A… And by the way, she never went to college. | 顺便说一下 她从来没有上过大学 |
[14:58] | She grew up in an orphanage where she learned how to sew, | 她在孤儿院长大 在那里她学会怎么缝纫 |
[15:01] | and that was pretty much the extent of her formal education. | 而那几乎就是她接受过的所有正规教育 |
[15:05] | All right, so, let me give you some | 好 那让我介绍一些 |
[15:07] | contemporary names. | 当代的名字 |
[15:09] | Steve Jobs. You ever heard of him? | 史蒂夫·乔布斯 你听说过他吗 |
[15:11] | The computer guy? Yeah, sure. | 搞计算机那个人 当然听说过 |
[15:13] | He probably went to a bunch of colleges. | 他应该去读过很多大学 |
[15:15] | Nope. Went to one, never graduated. | 不 只去过一所 还没毕业 |
[15:18] | So my question to you is simple. | 所以我给你的问题很简单 |
[15:20] | Do you think, just because someone has a bunch of degrees, | 你认为 仅仅因为某人有很多学历 |
[15:24] | that that makes them an expert? | 就能让他们成为专家吗 |
[15:26] | Or that, uh, sometimes, | 或者说 有些时候 |
[15:28] | maybe when someone doesn’t have the best education, | 可能有些人没有受过最好的教育 |
[15:32] | they have something else? | 但是他们有一些其它的能力 |
[15:35] | A vision of the future maybe? | 比如说对未来的预见性 |
[15:37] | And that they may have something unique | 他们可能会给人类带来一些 |
[15:40] | and wonderful to offer mankind? | 独特而美妙的东西 |
[15:43] | Yeah. I think there are people like that, definitely. | 是的 我认为肯定有这样的人 |
[15:49] | You feel like summertime… | # 感受夏日时光… # |
[15:51] | – Excuse me. – Sorry, excuse me. | – 借过 – 抱歉 借过 |
[15:52] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[15:53] | You took this heart of mine | # 你偷走了我的心 # |
[15:58] | You’ll be my valentine | # 你将是我的爱人 # |
[16:02] | In the summer | # 在夏日 # |
[16:03] | In the summer | # 在夏日 # |
[16:07] | You are my only one | # 你是我的唯一 # |
[16:12] | Just dancin’, havin’ fun… | # 让我们起舞 快乐下去… # |
[16:15] | Hi. This is Anna. | 你好 我是安娜 |
[16:17] | Leave me a message and I’ll call you right back. | 请留下口信 我会给你回电 |
[16:20] | Hey, little girl. | 小姑娘 |
[16:23] | It’s your dad. | 我是爸爸 |
[16:24] | Uh, I’m standing in front of your dorm room door. | 我正站在你宿舍门前 |
[16:27] | Uh, kind of thought we had agreed to get together | 我们之前说好一起 |
[16:29] | and celebrate some of your good news, but, uh… | 庆祝你的好消息 但是… |
[16:32] | Anyway, I… I brought you a gift. | 总之 我… 我给你带了礼物 |
[16:35] | But it looks like you’re not here. | 但是看来你不在宿舍 |
[16:37] | Could you give me a call back and let me know | 你可以给我回电告诉我 |
[16:39] | if we’re still good for tonight? | 我们今晚还约吗 |
[16:41] | Or just that you’re okay? | 或者就告诉我你还好吗 |
[16:44] | It’s 7:15. | 现在是七点十五 |
[16:45] | I can stand here for another couple minutes | 如果你要打给我的话 |
[16:47] | if you want to call me back. | 我还可以在这站几分钟 |
[16:49] | Love you. | 爱你 |
[16:59] | 我没事 出了点事 | |
[17:02] | 我想自己待会 过两天再吃吧 我也爱你 | |
[17:23] | We started testing our Freshwater Honeycomb | 我们大概从七个月之前 |
[17:27] | about seven months ago, | 就开始测试我们的”淡水蜂巢”了 |
[17:28] | trying to replicate how it would be used in a municipal setting. | 并尝试重复试验它在城市中的使用状况 |
[17:32] | The pressure with which the water hits the filter | 水冲击过滤器的压力 |
[17:35] | is controlled by a combination | 是由水的体积 速度 |
[17:36] | of volume, speed, and pipe diameter. | 还有管道直径共同控制的 |
[17:39] | Using a pipe 60 inches wide, | 使用六十英尺宽的管道时 |
[17:42] | we noted that at 477 gallons per second, | 我们发现 只有在水以477加仑每秒的速度通过时 |
[17:45] | the filter did its job. | 机器才能完成过滤 |
[17:47] | The problem started to manifest when we tried to push through | 当水以大于477加仑每秒的速度通过时 |
[17:50] | more than 477 gallons per second. | 问题就来了 |
[17:54] | The filter itself starts to disintegrate. | 那就是过滤器开始分解 |
[17:56] | The cellulose material and the filament that holds it together | 原本由纤维素和单纤维做成的过滤器 |
[18:00] | would start to appear in the supposedly clean water | 在净化后的清水中开始分解成 |
[18:03] | as microparticles. | 一颗颗的微粒 |
[18:04] | Invisible to the naked eye but in the water nonetheless. | 这用肉眼无法捕捉到 但在水里是可见的 |
[18:08] | Effectively, the filter was no longer cleaning the water | 这样一来 过滤器就不再是净化水 |
[18:11] | but actually polluting it, | 而是污染水了 |
[18:13] | making it dangerous to drink. | 饮用这样的水十分危险 |
[18:15] | Once those materials hit the human stomach, | 一旦这些物质撞击到胃部 |
[18:17] | they could very well tear it apart. | 胃很有可能会受到撕裂性伤害 |
[18:21] | Ah. And as director of research, | 那么作为调查的总负责人 |
[18:23] | who did you share these findings with? | 你将这些发现都告诉了谁呢 |
[18:25] | Um, the defendant. | 被告 |
[18:27] | So you don’t believe anything you said had any impact on her? | 所以 你觉得你说的话她都听不进去吗 |
[18:31] | Well, just the fact | 事实就是 |
[18:33] | that she was continuing to court investors. | 不停地与投资者见面 |
[18:35] | Telling them that we were 90 days away | 告诉他们只要九十天过滤器就能更加完善 |
[18:37] | when I was plainly telling her that what she was promising | 但我一直和她说的是 |
[18:40] | was not possible on any timetable. | 多少天都不可能 |
[18:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢你的回答 |
[18:45] | Nothing further. | 问询完毕 |
[18:46] | I’m guessing | 我觉得 |
[18:47] | you already know what I’m about to tell you. | 你应该已经知道我要告诉你什么了 |
[18:50] | I could read this jury on a moonless night | 我带个眼罩 |
[18:52] | with a blindfold on. | 都能猜到评审团现在在想什么 |
[18:54] | Good morning, Mr. Goodman. | 早上好 古德曼先生 |
[18:56] | – Doctor. – Ah. | – 是博士 – 好吧 |
[18:57] | Doctor. My apologies. | 博士 对不起 |
[19:00] | And you are a doctor in what? | 请问你是什么领域的博士呢 |
[19:02] | Well, I have a doctorate in civil engineering as well | 我拥有土木工程的博士学位 |
[19:05] | as a second doctorate in arid lands resource sciences. | 还有干旱资源科学的第二博士学位 |
[19:09] | Wow. That is impressive. | 哇 真厉害 |
[19:12] | Sounds like you know a lot about desalination. | 看起来你对水的淡化了解不少 |
[19:16] | Well, I do pride myself on being | 我确实为我 |
[19:17] | something of an expert in my field. | 在自己领域的专家身份而自豪 |
[19:19] | Terrific. So it’s reasonable to assume that you know | 很好 所以我有理由认为 |
[19:24] | everything there is to know about, uh, seawater | 你对海水还有海水淡化 |
[19:27] | – and desalination and… – Well, I don’t think | – 无所不知 – 其实我不认为 |
[19:30] | anyone knows everything about anything. | 一个人可能对任何事物无所不知 |
[19:33] | Great point. | 说得好 |
[19:34] | So, when you say no one could scale up | 因此 当你说”没人能使 |
[19:38] | the Freshwater Honeycomb | 淡水蜂巢的日净水量 |
[19:39] | for use in municipal water purification application, | 达到城市净水的要求”时 |
[19:42] | what you’re really trying to say is, | 其实你想要说的是 |
[19:45] | “I,” meaning you, “couldn’t scale up | “我” 也就是你 “无法 |
[19:48] | “the Freshwater Honeycomb | 使淡水蜂巢的日净水量 |
[19:50] | for use in municipal water purification applications.” | 达到城市净水的目标规模” |
[19:53] | Isn’t that correct? | 我说的对吗 |
[19:54] | Objection. Asked and answered. | 抗议 这是问答环节 |
[19:57] | – Your Honor. – Badgering the witness. | – 法官大人 – 这是在为难证人 |
[19:58] | – Your Honor… – Save your breath, Mr. Colón. | – 法官大人… – 别说了 科林先生 |
[20:01] | The question has not been asked and answered. | 问题还没问 也还没回答 |
[20:03] | And the counselor is not badgering the witness. | 律师也并未为难证人 |
[20:05] | Objection overruled. | 抗议无效 |
[20:06] | Ask your question again. | 请你再次提问 |
[20:08] | Isn’t it true, Dr. Goodman, that all you can say | 古德曼先生 你唯一能说的 |
[20:10] | with any certainty is that you couldn’t do it? | 是否只是你做不到这件事呢 |
[20:14] | You couldn’t scale it up? | 是你无法提高净水量? |
[20:18] | What is that I’m feeling? Could it be attitudes shifting? | 这是什么 是态度转变了吗 |
[20:22] | – Yes. – I mean, | – 是的 – 我是说 |
[20:24] | for all you know, there could be some kid | 你怎么知道有些小孩 |
[20:27] | sitting in his or her garage right now | 现在正坐在车库里 |
[20:29] | with just the fix for this thing. | 正在思考这件事的解决方法 |
[20:30] | – I doubt it. – I didn’t ask you | – 我表示怀疑 – 我不是问你 |
[20:32] | if you doubted it. | 是不是怀疑这件事 |
[20:34] | I had asked if what I am saying right now is possible. | 我问的是我刚刚所说的是否有可能 |
[20:37] | If a solution is possible. | 是否可能存在一个解决方法 |
[20:39] | I suppose anything is possible. | 我认为一切皆有可能 |
[20:41] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[20:42] | Anything is possible. | 一切皆有可能 |
[20:46] | Sir, how much do you stand to make | 所以您觉得如果政府胜诉 |
[20:48] | if the government wins this case? | 自己能获利多少呢 |
[20:51] | Isn’t it true that if the government prevails | 如果政府胜诉 |
[20:54] | in this case, as a whistleblower, | 而你作为举报人 |
[20:57] | you stand to profit? | 真的能获利吗 |
[21:00] | Actually make some real money? | 真的能货真价实地拿到钱吗 |
[21:02] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[21:04] | Let me put it another way. | 让我换种方法问你 |
[21:07] | Isn’t it true that you stood to make considerably more | 你认为你不完成本职工作 |
[21:10] | by not finishing your work and leaving the company | 而是离开公司 提供证据 |
[21:16] | and turning state’s evidence than if you’d stayed | 这样能获得多得多的钱 |
[21:19] | and done the job you’d originally been hired to do? | 我说的没错吧 |
[21:21] | I mean, we’re talking millions, right? | 这可是几百万美元啊 对吧 |
[21:25] | Objection. | 反对 |
[21:27] | Relevance? | 这和本案有什么关系吗 |
[21:28] | No, that’s all right, Your Honor. | 没事 法官大人 |
[21:30] | I withdraw the question. | 我收回这个问题 |
[21:32] | I think the jury could connect the dots. | 我觉得陪审团已经可以看出这其中的问题了 |
[21:34] | Nothing further. | 问话完毕 |
[21:42] | What’s going on over there? | 你怎么了 |
[21:43] | Looks like you’re having a troublesome bowel movement. | 看上去像是肠胃异动了 |
[21:48] | You did great, Benny. | 你干的很好 本尼 |
[21:50] | We got ’em on the run. | 我们打的他们手忙脚乱 |
[21:52] | I think you’re mistaking a momentary change of fortune | 我觉得你把偶然的好运气 |
[21:56] | for a real victory. | 和真正的胜利给弄混了 |
[21:59] | That was, that was everything. | 今天就是我的全部存货了 |
[22:02] | That’s our whole defense. | 是我能说的所有辩护词了 |
[22:04] | I’ve got nothing else to fight with. | 剩下的我不知道还能说什么了 |
[22:06] | Don’t be ridiculous. | 别说傻话了 |
[22:08] | Tomorrow we present our case. We put Whitney on the stand. | 明天我们会拿出证据 我们会让惠特尼出庭作证 |
[22:11] | Did you see those YouTube videos I sent you? | 你看了我发的那些油管视频了吗 |
[22:15] | Girl could sell sawdust to a lumber mill. | 她能想着把木屑卖给伐木场 |
[22:21] | She’s just trying to finance her dream, and that is not a crime. | 她只是想为她的梦想挣点钱 这也不是什么犯罪 |
[22:25] | But, Bull, | 但是 布尔 |
[22:27] | the law does not differentiate | 法律对于纯粹的谎言 |
[22:30] | between a run-of-the-mill lie | 和为了实现梦想的谎言 |
[22:33] | and a lie for a worthwhile dream. | 是不会区别对待的 |
[22:36] | To the law, it’s all a lie. | 对于法律来说 他们都是谎言 |
[22:39] | It’s all a fraud. | 这都是诈骗罪 |
[22:43] | Come on, Bull, you saw that film. | 布尔 得了吧 你看过那部电影的 |
[22:47] | The most current version of this thing | 在过滤器最新的版本里 |
[22:50] | disintegrates before water starts flowing | 一旦水流接近要求速度 |
[22:53] | at anything approaching the required speed. | 它就会毁坏 |
[22:57] | There’s no way she didn’t know she was lying, | 她不可能不知道自己在撒谎 |
[23:01] | and that’s fraud. | 而这就是诈骗 |
[23:02] | So, everybody, we’ve all been working very hard | 大家听着 我们每个人为了你 |
[23:06] | trying to pull this together for you | 为了本尼 还有客户 |
[23:08] | and Benny and the client. | 都花了很大的功夫 |
[23:10] | Uh, why don’t we let Taylor start? | 那我们先让泰勒开始说吧 |
[23:14] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[23:16] | Uh, some | 我先说说我发现的 |
[23:18] | little bumps in the road we need to discuss. | 一些突发情况吧 |
[23:21] | So glad you’re going first. | 我真高兴 是你先开始说 |
[23:24] | Whitney didn’t, in fact, drop out early | 惠特尼并不是如她所说 |
[23:26] | to pursue her Freshwater Honeycomb dreams | 为了实现淡水蜂巢的梦想而退学的 |
[23:28] | like she told us, like she told every reporter | 她这样对我们说 这样对每一个 |
[23:31] | who’s ever done a story about her. | 采访过她的记者说 |
[23:34] | She had to leave. | 她的退学别无选择 |
[23:35] | – They made her leave. – Because? | – 是学校强制的 – 原因呢 |
[23:38] | Because she was in arrears. | 因为她拖欠欠款 |
[23:40] | She had a habit of writing tuition | 她总是用空头支票 |
[23:42] | and housing checks that bounced. | 付学费和房租 |
[23:44] | The school would give her second and third chances | 学校给了她很多次机会 |
[23:46] | to make good on her bills, | 让她还清自己的债务 |
[23:47] | offered her campus jobs to make money, | 还让她勤工助学 |
[23:49] | but she’d no sooner pay off one bad debt | 但她刚还清一单债务 |
[23:51] | and then write another worthless check. | 就又给别人空头支票 |
[23:53] | Finally, they had enough. | 最后 他们受不了了 |
[23:55] | I’m sorry, Bull. | 对不起 布尔 |
[23:57] | You think the prosecution knows? | 你觉得原告知道这件事吗 |
[23:59] | Who cares? I think you guys are making | 谁在乎呢 我觉得你们已经 |
[24:01] | a mountain out of a molehill. | 弄出不少麻烦事了 |
[24:02] | Well, I don’t agree. It’s not a molehill. | 这我不同意 这可不是什么麻烦事 |
[24:05] | Writing bad checks, that’s fraud. | 空头支票可是诈骗罪 |
[24:07] | That’s the exact crime she’s being accused of right now. | 这就是她正被起诉的罪名 |
[24:10] | You’re forgetting her father had died. | 你忘了她的父亲已经去世的事情 |
[24:13] | They’d lost the family farm. Of course money was an issue. | 他们的家庭农场没了 钱当然成问题 |
[24:17] | Did she pay the college back? | 她有没有把学费付清呢 |
[24:19] | Did everybody get everything they were owed? | 她把欠别人的钱都还清了吗 |
[24:21] | Yes. Eventually. | 是的 最终都付清了 |
[24:23] | Probably with the salary she paid herself | 也许是在投资者的钱到账后 |
[24:25] | after the investors came on board. | 用她给自己开的工资付的吧 |
[24:27] | I’m confused. | 什么意思 |
[24:28] | Are we trying to prove her guilt or prove her innocence? | 我们到底是要证明她有罪还是无罪 |
[24:32] | Hit me with a real problem. | 哪个才是问题所在 |
[24:33] | Guess that’s my cue. Uh, so I went upstate | 看来该我了 今天我去了个北边 |
[24:36] | to see her mother today, with no help from Whitney, I might add. | 去看她的母亲 在惠特尼不知情的情况下 |
[24:40] | What does that mean? | 你什么意思 |
[24:41] | Well, I asked her for her mother’s info | 惠特尼来的那天 |
[24:43] | the day she came in here, and she never sent it. | 我问了她母亲的情况 但是她没说 |
[24:46] | Finally had to figure it out on my own. | 我想看来我得自己去弄清楚了 |
[24:48] | And? | 然后呢 |
[24:49] | And she wouldn’t talk to me. | 但她母亲不愿意搭理我 |
[24:52] | The neighbors seem to think Whitney might be paying the bills. | 邻居们似乎认为惠特尼正在还款 |
[24:55] | She got a new car, had the house painted last spring. | 她买了辆新车 去年春天油漆了房子 |
[24:58] | Where are you going with this? | 你想说什么 |
[25:00] | Again, I’m talking to the neighbors, | 于是我又去和邻居们聊天 |
[25:03] | and according to them, | 据他们说 |
[25:05] | Whitney’s family never owned a farm. | 惠特尼家从来没有过农场 |
[25:08] | And her father | 而且她父亲 |
[25:09] | worked on a farm, but he didn’t die of dehydration. | 曾在一家农场工作 但他不是死于脱水 |
[25:13] | His blue jeans got caught in a combine machine. | 他的牛仔服缠进了收割机 |
[25:16] | It pulled him in and chewed him up | 没来得及等人关掉机器 |
[25:18] | before anyone could, uh, shut it off. | 他就被拽进去搅碎了 |
[25:22] | What time are we due in court tomorrow? | 我们明天几点出庭 |
[25:25] | We reconvene after lunch. 1:00. | 我们午后一点重新开庭 |
[25:27] | Okay. Reach out to Whitney. | 好 去联系惠特尼 |
[25:29] | Tell her I want to meet her here tomorrow morning, 10:00 a.m. | 告诉她我明早十点要在这见她 |
[25:32] | Okay. | 好的 |
[25:34] | And somebody find a polygraph examiner. | 谁去找台测谎仪 |
[25:37] | I want to do a little work with Whitney. | 我想和她好好玩玩 |
[25:39] | You want to examine her with a lie detector? | 你想用测谎仪测她吗 |
[25:42] | You do know that those tests are not admissible in court. | 你知道法庭不会采信那些测试结果吧 |
[25:46] | It’s not for court. It’s for me. | 不是给法庭用 是我自己要用 |
[25:55] | Was it something I said? | 是我说错什么了吗 |
[25:56] | It’s just a technique we use to prepare clients to testify. | 这只是我们帮客户准备出庭的一种技术 |
[26:01] | See which questions make you anxious. | 看看哪些问题会让你紧张 |
[26:04] | Identify any possible triggers. | 识别任何可能的刺激 |
[26:06] | Okay. Sort of surprised Dr. Bull isn’t here. | 好吧 有点奇怪布尔博士不在这 |
[26:09] | Well, he will be reviewing the results | 他会在今天下午出庭之前 |
[26:12] | before we go into court this afternoon. | 回顾这些结果 |
[26:15] | I’m sure he’ll have a conversation with you | 我肯定他会在你出庭作证之前 |
[26:17] | about it before you testify. | 找你谈谈这事的 |
[26:18] | I’m amazed she agreed to do this. | 我很惊讶她竟然同意这样做 |
[26:21] | She’s got to know we’re onto her. | 她肯定知道我们怀疑她了 |
[26:22] | Well, it’s a good sign. | 这是个好苗头 |
[26:24] | It means she thinks she has nothing to hide. | 这意味着她认为她没什么好隐瞒的 |
[26:27] | All right, let’s get this show on the road. | 好吧 让我们开始吧 |
[26:29] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[26:30] | Is your name Whitney Holland? | 你是惠特尼·霍兰德吗 |
[26:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:33] | Are you 26 years old? | 你今年二十六岁吗 |
[26:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:36] | Ask her if she grew up on a farm. | 问她是否在一家农场长大 |
[26:38] | Did you grow up on a farm? | 你是在一家农场长大的吗 |
[26:43] | I grew up near a farm. | 我在农场附近长大 |
[26:45] | I need you to answer yes or no. | 我需要你回答是或不是 |
[26:48] | No. | 不是 |
[26:49] | I did not grow up on a farm. | 我不是在一家农场长大的 |
[26:51] | Ask her if her father died of a heart attack. | 问她父亲是否死于心脏病 |
[26:53] | Did your father die of a heart attack? | 你父亲是死于心脏病吗 |
[26:58] | No. | 不是 |
[27:01] | – In a field? – In a field? | – 是在野外吗 – 是在野外吗 |
[27:02] | During a heat wave? | 是在暑热的时候吗 |
[27:04] | – During a heat wave? – Of dehydration and sunstroke? | – 是在暑热的时候吗 – 是死于脱水和中暑吗 |
[27:05] | Of dehydration and sunstroke? | 是死于脱水和中暑吗 |
[27:06] | Trying to save his crops and animals? | 问是因为努力抢救他的庄稼和牲畜吗 |
[27:08] | Trying to save his crops and animals? | 是因为努力抢救他的庄稼和牲畜吗 |
[27:11] | No, he did not. | 不是 他没有 |
[27:14] | He died in an accident involving | 他死于一场与农场机器 |
[27:16] | some farm machinery. | 有关的事故 |
[27:18] | Well, there goes your defense. | 好了 正如你说的 |
[27:20] | If she knew she was lying when she told people those things, | 如果她说这些事时知道自己在撒谎 |
[27:23] | then there’s criminal intent. | 那她就有犯罪意图 |
[27:26] | Game over. | 游戏结束 |
[27:29] | Ask her if the Freshwater Honeycomb | 问她淡水蜂窝 |
[27:31] | will ever actually be able to… | 是否真的能 |
[27:32] | …purify enough water for a small municipality. | 净化一个小城市的用水量 |
[27:37] | Absolutely. | 完全可以 |
[27:39] | – A large city? – A large city? | – 问大城市呢 – 大城市呢 |
[27:41] | Without a doubt. | 也没问题 |
[27:43] | Are you 90 days away from being able to prove that? | 问她是否还需要九十天就能证明这件事了 |
[27:46] | And are you 90 days away from being able to prove that? | 还需要九十天就能证明这件事了吗 |
[27:51] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[27:54] | Possibly. | 很可能 |
[27:55] | If the government will let me continue my work. | 如果政府让我继续工作的话 |
[28:01] | What are you smiling about? | 你在笑什么 |
[28:06] | Hi, this is Anna. | 这是安娜的电话 |
[28:08] | Leave me a message and I’ll call you right back. | 请给我留言 我会回电 |
[28:11] | Hi, Anna. It’s Dad again. | 安娜 还是我 你爸爸 |
[28:15] | Listen, I… I know you said that you needed a couple of days, | 听着 我知道你说过你需要几天时间 |
[28:17] | but, um, well, see, I’m trying to help out with | 但是我想帮忙安排好 |
[28:20] | this travel stuff. You know, passports, doctor visits, | 旅行的事 比如护照 医生复诊之类的 |
[28:23] | but I feel a little funny setting them up | 但我忙活着忙活着 发现了点有意思的东西 |
[28:26] | and I haven’t talked to you. | 我还没跟你谈过 |
[28:27] | Call me back, please? | 能给我回电吗 |
[28:29] | Thanks. Love you. | 谢谢 爱你哟 |
[28:36] | Kids. | 小孩子啊 |
[28:38] | Where do they come from? | 父母的孽缘 |
[28:40] | Tell me about it. | 可不是吗 |
[28:42] | Were you ever 19? | 你有过十九岁的时候吗 |
[28:44] | Nope. Went straight from old enough to vote | 没有 当年直接从刚刚可以投票的年纪 |
[28:47] | to bitter divorcée. | 变成了苦兮兮的离异女性 |
[28:50] | Whatever it is, it’s gonna be fine. | 无论怎样 事情总会变好的 |
[28:53] | I know. Intellectually, I know that, | 我知道 我理智上知道 |
[28:56] | but it’s just that I… I wasn’t there to be her parent | 但我只是很久没好好履行家长的义务 |
[29:00] | for so long, and now I’m here and I’m ready and I’m proud, | 而现在我到位了 准备好了也很自豪 |
[29:05] | but she’s getting older, and so, for whatever reason, | 但她却长大了 所以不管出于什么原因 |
[29:09] | she’s not wanting a parent right now, | 她现在不想要什么家长了 |
[29:12] | and it makes me crazy. | 这太令人抓狂了 |
[29:14] | This, too, will pass. | 这个也会过去的 |
[29:33] | You look like the cat who ate the canary | 你就像一只吃了金丝雀的猫 |
[29:36] | and then decided what he really wanted was fish. | 结果觉得自己真正想要的是鱼 |
[29:41] | I can’t make up my mind about you. | 我对你拿不定主意 |
[29:44] | Do you lie to hide the truth, | 你是为了隐瞒真相而说谎呢 |
[29:45] | or tell the truth to hide your lies? | 还是为了隐瞒谎言而说实话的呢 |
[29:48] | I always tell the truth, except when I’m selling myself. | 我一直在说实话 除了我推销自己的时候 |
[29:51] | Then I do my best to tell a good story. | 那我要竭尽全力把故事讲好 |
[29:53] | People appreciate a good story | 当被推销什么时 |
[29:55] | when they’re being sold something. | 人们喜欢听到精彩的故事 |
[29:56] | A product, a person, an idea. | 一个产品 一个人 一个概念 |
[29:59] | Especially an idea that doesn’t exist yet. | 特别是一个尚未存在的概念 |
[30:01] | Like a desalination filter? | 像如一个海水淡化过滤器 |
[30:04] | Like many things, like gravity. | 像如许多事 像如重力 |
[30:07] | Story is, an apple fell on Sir Isaac Newton’s head, | 故事里说有个苹果掉到了艾萨克牛顿的头上 |
[30:11] | but that didn’t really happen. | 但事实不是那样 |
[30:13] | Turns out, he was sitting under a different tree | 其实他当时坐在别的树底下 |
[30:16] | when he saw the apple fall off another tree, | 目睹了苹果从另一棵树上掉下来 |
[30:19] | the one he wasn’t sitting under. | 而不是他头顶的那棵树 |
[30:22] | It’s not nearly as good a story, | 这不是个好故事 |
[30:24] | but the myth about the apple hitting him in the head | 但那个关于苹果砸到他的头的传说 |
[30:27] | doesn’t do anything to diminish the importance of his theory, | 丝毫没有削弱他的理论的重要性 |
[30:31] | the importance of his discovery. | 他的发现的重要性 |
[30:33] | Clearly, people prefer the myth to the truth | 很明显 人们喜欢传说胜过事实 |
[30:35] | or they wouldn’t keep repeating it. | 不然他们就不会反复讲这个故事了 |
[30:36] | Just because my father didn’t die | 仅仅因为我父亲去世的时候不是大热天 |
[30:38] | in the middle of a drought doesn’t change the fact | 并不能改变我的过滤器 |
[30:41] | that my filter can and will do what I claim. | 能够实现我所说的话 |
[30:46] | And what about the 90 days? | 那个九十天又是怎么回事呢 |
[30:48] | You told investors you were 90 days away. | 你告诉投资人你只有九十天就能成功 |
[30:52] | That’s me selling. | 那是我在推销自己 |
[30:53] | That’s me exciting my investors | 那是我在激励我的投资人 |
[30:56] | and motivating my research team. | 以及动员我的研究团队 |
[30:58] | It’s like when Thomas Edison was working on his light bulb. | 就像托马斯·爱迪生当初研制灯泡时 |
[31:01] | He tried a thousand different materials | 在成功之前 |
[31:04] | before he found one that would glow without burning up, | 他尝试了一千种不同的材料 |
[31:06] | but one day… there it was. | 但那一天… 终是来了 |
[31:09] | I’m just looking for the right kind of sponge, | 我只是在找一种合适的海绵 |
[31:11] | the right kind of filament. | 正如那种合适的灯丝 |
[31:14] | And who’s to say I’m not 90 days away? | 谁能说我不是还有九十天就成功了呢 |
[31:20] | She said to the man | 她对那个 |
[31:23] | wearing completely clear eyeglasses. | 戴着透明眼镜的男人如是说 |
[31:28] | No prescription. | 没有镜片 |
[31:31] | To convince people of what? | 这是在说服人们什么呢 |
[31:33] | To hide from what? | 在隐瞒什么呢 |
[31:37] | Misspent youth? | 逝去的青春吗 |
[31:39] | A face that’s a tad too pretty | 这张脸太好看 |
[31:42] | to be taken seriously as a trial scientist? | 而无法被当做一名庭审专家被严肃对待 |
[31:44] | As a scientist of any kind? | 什么专家都不像 |
[31:48] | I’m not the one on trial for fraud. | 我不是那个因欺诈而受审的人 |
[31:51] | And I’m not the one who has to take the stand | 我也不是必须出庭作证 |
[31:53] | and answer questions about all those lies. | 去回答那些围绕着谎言的问题 |
[31:56] | About which I will tell the absolute truth. | 我会说出所有真相 |
[31:59] | Just like I did this morning. | 就像今早一样 |
[32:01] | That’s gonna confuse the hell out of the jury. | 这下陪审团就彻底糊涂了 |
[32:03] | That’s why I hired you, jury guru. | 这就是我雇佣你的原因 陪审团大师 |
[32:09] | I know you get it. I know you can explain me to them. | 我知道你懂 我知道你能帮我解释清楚 |
[32:12] | And what if I can’t? | 如果我不能呢 |
[32:14] | What would you suggest? I go in there and lie? | 你会建议我怎么做 我直接走进去撒谎吗 |
[32:18] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[32:19] | For one, you would be committing another crime, | 首先 你会犯下另一种罪 |
[32:21] | and for two, your attorney… my associate… | 其次 你的律师… 也就是我助理 |
[32:24] | would never knowingly suborn perjury. | 决不会故意唆使你作伪证 |
[32:26] | Well, | 好吧 |
[32:27] | if you can’t make my testifying to the truth work, | 如果你没办法让我为真相作证 |
[32:31] | tell me now so I can find new counsel. | 现在就告诉我 我好换律师 |
[32:40] | I know I will eventually get that filter | 我知道我最终会让那个过滤器 |
[32:42] | to do what I need it to do. | 去到我需要的地方 |
[32:45] | You really believe it, don’t you? | 你真的相信 是吗 |
[32:52] | Well, we should head into court, then. | 好吧 那么我们要进法庭了 |
[32:54] | And, if you wouldn’t mind, | 还有 如果你不介意的话 |
[32:57] | keep the glasses thing to yourself. | 别把眼镜的事到处乱说 |
[33:03] | So at this point, you’re working… | 所以这时候 你在… 工作 |
[33:06] | In my kitchen. | 在我厨房 |
[33:07] | We got the water from one of the fountains | 我们在摄氏三十二度的天气里 |
[33:10] | in Prospect Park on a 90-degree day. | 从展望公园的一个喷泉取了水样 |
[33:13] | I mean, it was brown. | 那水是棕色的 |
[33:15] | We ran a gallon of the water | 我们把一加仑脏水 |
[33:17] | through our little homemade filter. | 倒进我们的小型家用过滤器里 |
[33:19] | Poured another gallon into a sterile container | 另倒了一加仑在一个无菌容器里 |
[33:22] | and had them both tested. | 然后测试两种净化结果 |
[33:23] | The filtered water was everything we hoped it would be. | 过滤过的水各方面都符合我们的期待 |
[33:27] | It was clear, it was ready to drink. | 水很干净 直接就能喝 |
[33:30] | The other gallon was pretty damn toxic. | 但另外那加仑基本就是毒药了 |
[33:36] | It was just Derek and I at that point. | 那时候只有我和德雷克 |
[33:38] | I don’t think it’s possible to hug someone | 当时我们见面的拥抱 |
[33:41] | harder than we hugged each other that day. | 绝对是全世界最用力的 |
[33:44] | So let me ask you a question. | 那么让我问问你 |
[33:46] | You had a filter that worked. | 你们做出来了一个能起作用的过滤器 |
[33:49] | You could have sold it to any one of a number of companies | 你们完全可以把它卖给某个公司 |
[33:53] | for use in personal drinking mugs, | 用来做水杯净化器 |
[33:55] | for camping, for survival kits after natural disasters? | 用来做野营工具 自然灾害后的急救设备 |
[34:00] | Yes. | 是的 |
[34:02] | Why not just sell it and be done? | 为什么不就这样做呢 |
[34:05] | Because it was never just about the money. | 因为这一切从来都不是为了钱 |
[34:08] | It was, and is, about knowing there’s a real problem, | 我们从来 包括现在 想的都是解决真正的问题 |
[34:13] | a real need, | 一个真正重要的需求 |
[34:15] | and realizing that you might be able to fix it. | 并意识到自己可能有这样的能力 |
[34:18] | You might be able to make things better. | 我们可能有能力把这个世界变得更好 |
[34:22] | I mean, we’re all here for a reason, right? | 毕竟 我们来到这个世界都是有所追求的吧 |
[34:26] | I mean, why did Edison’s company devote all of those resources | 就像爱迪生的公司为什么把所有那些资源 |
[34:29] | to developing the incandescent light bulb? | 都投入到研发白炽灯中呢 |
[34:32] | We had candles, we had gas lights. | 那时有蜡烛 有煤油灯 |
[34:35] | I think he thought he could make things better. | 我想他是觉得他能改变这个世界 |
[34:38] | I think he thought he could… make life better. | 他觉得自己能让大家有更好的生活 |
[34:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[34:46] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[34:48] | “He thought he could make life better.” | “他觉得自己能让大家有更好的生活” |
[34:49] | Even I teared up. | 我都落泪了 |
[34:53] | You lied to investors about the circumstances | 你向投资者们虚构了 |
[34:55] | surrounding your father’s death, didn’t you? | 你父亲的死亡 不是吗 |
[34:58] | – Yes. – And, contrary | – 是的 – 而且 |
[35:00] | to what you told reporters and investors, | 与你告诉他们的相反 |
[35:02] | you didn’t leave college because you were consumed with this idea | 你离开大学 |
[35:06] | about a revolutionary new desalination filter, | 不是因为这个革命性的淡化器 |
[35:09] | but because you couldn’t pay your bills | 而是因为你债务压身 |
[35:12] | and had bounced several checks. | 写了不少空头支票 |
[35:13] | Isn’t that right? | 我说的对吗 |
[35:18] | Both are actually true. | 都是事实 |
[35:21] | You admit you told investors that you were within months | 你是否承认你向投资者们承诺 |
[35:26] | of having the filter field-checked and ready | 你能在数月内准备好过滤器 |
[35:29] | when your director of research | 但你的研究主任 |
[35:31] | indicated quite clearly that he felt that | 已经清楚地告诉了你 |
[35:34] | no further upscaling was possible on the Freshwater Honeycomb. | 他认为淡水蜂巢已经不可能再扩大规模了 |
[35:38] | Isn’t that true? | 我说的对吗 |
[35:40] | I didn’t agree with my director of research. | 我并不同意我的研究主任的观点 |
[35:43] | I didn’t ask if you agreed. | 我没问你同不同意 |
[35:45] | I was pointing out that you didn’t share his assessment | 我是说你没有向未来的投资者们表达清楚 |
[35:48] | with your current or future investors, | 他对现状的评估 |
[35:51] | which feels deceptive. | 这就很有欺骗性 |
[35:53] | In fact, it feels like there’s a pattern of deception | 实际上 整个淡水蜂巢 |
[35:57] | at Freshwater Honeycomb. | 都有一种欺骗的味道 |
[35:58] | Objection. The witness is here to answer questions, | 反对 证人是来回答问题的 |
[36:01] | not to be lectured to. | 而不是来受说教的 |
[36:03] | Okay. Here’s a question. | 好吧 我提问了 |
[36:04] | How is your life better today | 你的生活 |
[36:07] | than it was, say, three years ago, | 比起三年前 |
[36:10] | before investors were lavishing you with money | 投资者们在你身上大量投资 |
[36:12] | in the hopes of cashing in on the success | 希望在淡水蜂巢将来的成功上获利的时候 |
[36:15] | of Freshwater Honeycomb? | 现在你的生活要好多少呢 |
[36:16] | If, by better, you mean financially, | 如果你是说经济上的话 |
[36:19] | I have made no secret of the fact that my life | 我一直以来并未隐瞒 |
[36:22] | is markedly different. | 我的生活其实没什么太大的变化 |
[36:25] | But I’d also like to mention that those investments | 但我想顺带提下那些投资 |
[36:27] | pay for 200 employee salaries. | 也用来给两百位雇员付工资 |
[36:30] | They pay for research tools and offices | 用在购置研究器械和办公室 |
[36:34] | – and lab rentals and… – Are you a liar? | – 还有实验室的租金… – 你是骗子吗 |
[36:37] | Your Honor! | 法官大人 |
[36:39] | It’s a simple question. | 这是个简单的问题 |
[36:44] | Not about the filter. | 过滤器的事上不是 |
[36:47] | Not about what I believe it can do. | 我对它的期盼上不是 |
[36:48] | Not about the things that count. | 重要的事上不是 |
[36:51] | So we should just believe what you tell us about this filter, | 所以我们就该相信你说的关于这个机器的一切吗 |
[36:56] | which doesn’t yet exist, | 它甚至都还不存在 |
[36:59] | even when almost everything else you have told us is a lie? | 甚至你说的其他一切基本都是谎言 |
[37:06] | Yes. | 是的 |
[37:09] | I have no further questions, your Honor. | 我没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[37:19] | That was a very nice closing argument. | 结辩陈词很不错 |
[37:22] | Well, he wrote it. Mostly. | 他写的 大部分 |
[37:26] | It was fine. | 还行吧 |
[37:29] | You know, we can appeal. | 我们还能申诉的 |
[37:31] | I mean, if they find you guilty, | 如果他们判你有罪的话 |
[37:34] | we’ll immediately file for an appeal. | 我们会立即申诉的 |
[37:37] | Not that, that’s a foregone conclusion, | 不是说必定会这样 |
[37:38] | I’m just saying that, uh… | 我只是说… |
[37:41] | Jury deliberations are funny things. | 陪审团的决定是很微妙的 |
[37:45] | Lots can happen. | 谁也说不定 |
[37:46] | Uh, people start to compare notes, | 人们会开始交流 |
[37:49] | minds get changed, uh… | 他们的主意会改变 |
[37:53] | It’s not over till it’s over. | 直到一切都结束了才算结束了 |
[38:00] | This is me. | 我到了 |
[38:05] | Thank you both for everything. | 谢谢你们俩做的这些事 |
[38:08] | Yeah. We’ll give you a call the second we hear. | 我们一听到结果就会通知你的 |
[38:21] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[38:24] | What are you sorry about? Jury’s not even back yet. | 你在道什么歉 陪审团都还没回去嗯 |
[38:27] | Come on, you called it. | 拜托 你当时不说了吗 |
[38:28] | You called it the second she first walked through the door. | 她走进门的那刻你就表示拒绝了 |
[38:34] | It wasn’t her, Bull. | 我不是针对她 布尔 |
[38:36] | It was… | 只是… |
[38:37] | I know. The lies. | 我知道 是她撒的谎 |
[38:40] | The untruths. | 那些非真实的部分 |
[38:42] | Once the jury knows you’re willing to make things up | 一旦评审团知道你愿意撒谎编造 |
[38:44] | to get what you want… | 只为达到自己的目的 |
[38:48] | God, I’m arrogant. | 天 我太自傲了 |
[38:50] | I thought we could get them to see | 我以为我能让他们明白 |
[38:52] | it was just a means to an end. | 这只是达到目的的方法 |
[38:56] | The end was so worthwhile. | 毕竟结果如此重要 |
[39:05] | You two are the same person. | 你们俩是同一种人 |
[39:08] | You know that, don’t you? | 你知道的吧 |
[39:10] | You set your sights on something that’s almost impossible, | 你们的视线停在几乎不可能的事情上 |
[39:14] | and you don’t let anyone talk you out of it. | 什么人都没法阻止你们 |
[39:20] | It’s one of the things I love about you, man. | 这是我喜欢的一点 |
[39:25] | Sometimes I wonder if it isn’t all a lie, | 有时候我在想这一切是否只是假象呢 |
[39:27] | this thing we do, this jury thing. | 我们这些想方设法说服评审团的努力 |
[39:31] | I mean… what was the point? | 有什么用呢 |
[39:35] | According to Marissa, by the time the AUSA | 据梅丽莎所说 我们说完的的时候 |
[39:37] | was done with her closing, it was a shutout. | 完全是压倒性的局势 |
[39:41] | Was a field of red. | 整片红色 |
[39:44] | And she is betting that by tomorrow morning, | 她猜明早上 |
[39:46] | we are back in court, | 我们就该回法院了 |
[39:48] | and Whitney is behind bars by tomorrow afternoon. | 明天下午惠特尼就该在监狱里了 |
[39:55] | I mean, I’m really no good at this at all. | 我其实一点也不擅长这些事 |
[40:02] | “Dear Judge Graves. | “亲爱的格蕾芙法官 |
[40:03] | As you know, we have been deliberating | 我们已经考虑了整整四天 |
[40:06] | All of us are united in our verdict | 我们所有人都决定好了 |
[40:08] | with the exception of one juror. | 除了一位陪审团员 |
[40:09] | This juror refuses to budge, refuses to debate. | 这位团员拒绝改变主意 拒绝讨论 |
[40:12] | It is difficult to see a way forward from here.” | 情况很难再有进展” |
[40:19] | I’m going to call everyone back into the court in an hour, | 召集所有人一小时后到法庭 |
[40:22] | officially declaring a mistrial. | 宣布未决审判 |
[40:25] | My assumption is you’re going to want to retry this | 我想你们是打算尽快 |
[40:27] | as quickly as possible? | 重新开始吗 |
[40:28] | Absolutely. | 当然的 |
[40:30] | Your client, will, of course, remain out on bail. | 当然 你的客户将会继续处于保释 |
[40:33] | What’s your first availability, gentlemen? | 你们最早多久有时间 先生们 |
[40:35] | Unfortunately, our office is booked | 不幸的是 我们工作室 |
[40:37] | for the next seven months. | 接下来七个月都有安排了 |
[40:39] | All right, then. Seven months it is. | 好的 那就是七个月后了 |
[40:41] | I’m going to pencil it in, | 我先记下来 |
[40:43] | and I would hope that if things change, | 如果你们安排有变 |
[40:45] | you’ll let us know so that we can move this forward. | 请通知我们 我们能提前安排 |
[40:47] | Now go get your client so we can make this official. | 现在请去接你们的客户吧 我们做官方宣布 |
[40:54] | Seven months? | 七个月 |
[40:55] | We don’t even know what our next case is. | 我们连下一个案子是什么都不知道 |
[40:57] | I ever tell you how my dad | 我有告诉过你我爸 |
[40:58] | died in a tsunami in the Mojave? | 是怎么死在莫哈韦的海啸里的吗 |
[41:02] | My God, in a million years, | 天哪 还要这么久 |
[41:04] | that is not where I saw this going. | 我可没想到会这样 |
[41:07] | Well, like I told you, deliberations are a funny thing. | 就像之前说的 这很微妙 |
[41:11] | But seven months? | 但七个月 |
[41:13] | It seems so far away. | 感觉也太久了吧 |
[41:16] | I wanted to give you time to work on that filter. | 我是想让你有时间改良过滤器 |
[41:21] | You get that thing to do the things you say it can do, | 你快让它实现你的承诺 |
[41:23] | and there is no fraud and there is no case. | 这样就不存在诈骗 也不存在官司了 |
[41:28] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:31] | I appreciate that. | 多谢了 |
[41:33] | But the truth is, at this point, I have no money. | 但事实是我现在没钱 |
[41:36] | Ever since the government filed this case, | 自从政府告了我 |
[41:38] | investors have been pulling their money out. | 投资人们都把钱抽走了 |
[41:41] | Creditors have been demanding payment. | 借债的开始急着要债 |
[41:43] | It may make more sense to just get this over with. | 这个事赶快解决好像才更好 |
[41:45] | That’s not to say I don’t appreciate | 当然 不是说我不感激 |
[41:47] | what you’re trying to do, but… | 你为我做的一切 但是… |
[41:48] | Ms. Holland. | 霍兰德小姐 |
[41:50] | Um, forgive me for intruding. | 抱歉打扰了 |
[41:52] | I’m, uh, one of the jurors. Uh, the foreman, actually. | 我是陪审团员 实际上 是陪审团主席 |
[41:55] | I have to tell you, I am positively fascinated | 我必须说 我被你想做的事 |
[41:59] | by what it is you’re trying to do, | 吸引了 |
[42:00] | and I was hoping you might be able to find room for me | 希望在你这我还能有地方 |
[42:03] | to help, perhaps provide some additional capital. | 提供帮助 比如提供一些额外的资金 |
[42:09] | Uh, if I’m doing something improper, | 如果我在做什么不恰当的事 |
[42:11] | uh, one of you will tell me, right? | 你们会告诉我的 对吗 |
[42:13] | All sounds proper to me. | 没啥不合适 |
[42:16] | I look forward to speaking with you. | 很期待与你的合作 |
[42:21] | This may just work out. | 这很有可能就解决了 |
[42:25] | I take back what I said. | 我收回我的话 |
[42:27] | I think I may actually be pretty good at this jury thing. | 我好像还是挺擅长处理评审团的嘛 |