时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:07] | NEW YORK LEDGER NATHAN ALEXANDER TO BUILD WORLD’S TALLEST TOWER! | 《纽约文汇》 纳森·亚历山大将建造全球最高大厦 |
[00:37] | I WAS RAPED BY NATHAN ALEXANDER | 我被纳森·亚历山大强奸了 |
[00:46] | NEW YORK LEDGER NATHAN ALEXANDER TO BUILD WORLD’S TALLEST TOWER! | 《纽约文汇》 纳森·亚历山大将建造全球最高大厦 |
[01:01] | Hi. My name is Jessica Lee, and I am… | 我叫杰西卡·李 我是… |
[01:05] | was an entertainer at the Maverick Men’s Club | 曾是西城高速公路旁边的 |
[01:07] | just off the West Side Highway. | 独行者俱乐部里的小姐 |
[01:09] | Three weeks ago, at around 12:30, | 三周前 大约十二点半时 |
[01:12] | Nathan Alexander, the big real estate guy, | 纳森·亚历山大 那个大地产商 |
[01:16] | paid me $100 to go into the Champagne Room with him. | 付给我一百美金让我去香槟房陪他 |
[01:19] | Now, when you go into the Champagne Room | 在独行者这种地方 |
[01:22] | at a place like the Maverick, | 去香槟房的话 |
[01:23] | you’re guaranteeing your customer | 一定会保证给客人 |
[01:25] | three fully-nude lap dances. | 跳三首全裸大腿舞 |
[01:27] | Three songs. | 三首歌 |
[01:28] | There’s not supposed to be any touching, | 虽然客人不应该摸我们 |
[01:31] | but there almost always is. | 但几乎没人遵守那种规则 |
[01:33] | And I have never done it myself, | 我从没去过香槟房 |
[01:36] | but the other girls tell me that you can negotiate | 但其他女生告诉我 |
[01:39] | to do other things in there. | 你可以商量着在里面做些别的事 |
[01:40] | It’s a private room. There are no cameras. | 那里是私人空间 没有摄像头 |
[01:43] | Anyway… | 不管怎样 |
[01:47] | We’re in there, and I’m completely naked. | 我们进去了 我全裸 |
[01:51] | And he’s got on a suit, like you would expect. | 他正常穿着西装 |
[01:54] | I’m into the second song, | 我跳到了第二首歌 |
[01:57] | and I’m doing what I guess | 到了在… |
[01:59] | you would call the “Lap” Part of the dance. | 他大腿上跳舞的部分时 |
[02:02] | And I looked down, and I noticed that his fly… | 我往下一瞥 发现他的裤子门襟… |
[02:09] | Sorry. Didn’t mean to frighten you. | 抱歉 不是故意要吓你 |
[02:10] | So it looks like Marissa’s not coming in today. | 玛丽莎今天似乎不来了 |
[02:12] | Something personal going on. | 有点私事 |
[02:14] | And I’m gonna be out of the office | 我也要外出办公 |
[02:15] | running down some things on an upcoming case, so, | 去查一个马上到手的案子 所以 |
[02:17] | Marissa told me to tell you, uh, that she’s counting on you. | 玛丽莎让我告诉你 她今天就拜托你了 |
[02:20] | Okay, so, what is it she needs me to do? | 好 她要我做什么 |
[02:22] | Well, uh, nobody’s in court today, | 今天没人出庭 |
[02:24] | so, it’s really just about Bull. | 所以 也就是忙忙布尔的事 |
[02:27] | If he needs something, do your best to help him out. | 如果他有什么需要 就帮帮他 |
[02:29] | Now I just texted you a temporary password | 我刚刚把临时密码用短信发给你了 |
[02:31] | that’s gonna get you into Marissa’s files | 这样你就可以访问玛丽莎的文档 |
[02:33] | and Bull’s schedule. | 以及布尔的日程表了 |
[02:34] | Beyond that, you’re on your own. | 除此之外 你就只能靠自己了 |
[02:41] | Finally he gets off me. | 最后他从我身上起来 |
[02:43] | He just leaves the room. | 直接离开了房间 |
[02:46] | Anyway… | 不管怎样 |
[02:48] | I told the manager what happened, | 我和经理说了这件事 |
[02:51] | and he asked me if I knew who that guy was. | 他问我知不知道那人是谁 |
[02:54] | And, um, he told me | 他告诉我 |
[02:57] | that that guy is about a thousand times more important than I am. | 那人比我重要一千倍 |
[03:02] | Then he told me | 还告诉我 |
[03:04] | that they were overbooked for the next couple of weeks, | 他们接下来几周的小姐都满员了 |
[03:06] | that I shouldn’t even bother coming in. | 让我不用来了 |
[03:10] | Marissa?! | 玛丽莎 |
[03:16] | Well, the keeper of the calendar is here. | 日程员来了 |
[03:18] | Uh, Thursday at 3:00 p.m. I have an ultrasound? | 我可以在周四下午三点去做超声检查吗 |
[03:24] | Bet you didn’t even know I was expecting. | 我看你压根不知道我怀孕了 |
[03:26] | I’m shocked and amazed. | 我很吃惊 很高兴 |
[03:27] | I’ll go find my little pass code and get back to you shortly. | 我去找找那串密码 然后马上回复你 |
[03:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[03:32] | Three days later, she realizes | 三天后 她意识到 |
[03:33] | she really needs to go to the police. | 必须报警 |
[03:35] | – Taylor? – But they tell her there’s no evidence, | – 泰勒 – 但他们告诉她没有证据 |
[03:37] | so there’s no case. | 所以无法立案 |
[03:38] | That the D.A. isn’t going to court | 除非案子能赢 否则地方检察官 |
[03:39] | unless he can win, and without evidence… | 不会出庭 而没有证据的话… |
[03:42] | And he’s definitely not going to court to take on someone | 他绝不会出庭去对抗一个 |
[03:44] | as well-connected as Nathan Alexander | 像纳森·亚历山大这么有人脉的人 |
[03:47] | unless the case is rock-solid. | 除非案子稳赢 |
[03:49] | Yeah, he’s right. | 是的 他是对的 |
[03:51] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么想 |
[03:52] | I don’t think there’s anything right about it. | 我认为这样一点都不对 |
[03:54] | Look at it from the district attorney’s point of view. | 从地方检察官的角度来看 |
[03:56] | The woman is a stripper. | 这个女人是脱衣舞娘 |
[03:57] | She takes her clothes off for a living. | 她以脱衣谋生 |
[03:59] | She entices for a living. | 她以引诱为生 |
[04:01] | And what’s the net-net? | 结果是什么呢 |
[04:02] | A man was enticed. | 一个男人被引诱了 |
[04:04] | Now, I’m not saying I agree with it, | 我不是说我赞同那种做法 |
[04:05] | but it’s tough to make that case in front of a jury. | 但这个案子在陪审团那边会很棘手 |
[04:08] | That stripper’s a woman. | 那个脱衣舞娘是个女人 |
[04:10] | A human being. | 是个人 |
[04:12] | Someone violated the law. | 有人侵犯了法律 |
[04:13] | Someone violated her. | 侵犯了她 |
[04:15] | She says, but can’t prove. | 她只是说说 她没证据 |
[04:20] | Anyway… | 不管怎样 |
[04:22] | she posted this video because she needs help. | 她发布这段视频是因为她需要帮助 |
[04:24] | A lawyer and some publicity to maybe force the D.A.’s hand. | 也许某个律师和一些公开宣传能逼地方检察官出手 |
[04:27] | And it made me think about your law clinic at school. | 这让我想到了你在学校里办的法律援助诊所 |
[04:31] | You’ve already got something. You’re busy, aren’t you? | 你手上已经有项目了 很忙是吗 |
[04:33] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[04:35] | Oh, wow. Like a right-to-life thing? | 忙人权方面的事吗 |
[04:37] | Kind of. | 差不多吧 |
[04:38] | It’s a lot of things. | 事情太多了 |
[04:40] | My point is, my calendar’s really full. | 我想说的是 我的日程真的已经排满了 |
[04:44] | Right. Calendar. | 好吧 日程 |
[04:47] | Calendar. Oh, no. | 日程 惨了 |
[04:48] | Bull? | 布尔 |
[04:58] | Bull, sorry it took me so long. | 布尔 抱歉我这边花了点时间 |
[04:59] | You are all clear for Thursday. | 你周四没安排 |
[05:01] | I’ll put it down for 3:00 p.m. | 我把它定在下午三点 |
[05:09] | MEETING WITH NATHAN ALEXANDER | 与纳森·亚历山大见面 |
[05:13] | Knock, knock, knock. | 我能进来吗 |
[05:16] | Can I ask you a question that would definitely fall | 我能问你一个和我 |
[05:18] | into the category of “None of my business”? | 绝对完全不相干的问题吗 |
[05:22] | Why do you guys have a meeting | 为什么日程表上说 |
[05:24] | with Nathan Alexander on the books? | 你们要和纳森·亚历山大见面呢 |
[05:27] | I’m just curious. | 我只是好奇 |
[05:28] | Read about him in the paper, see his picture at lots of places. | 在报纸上看过他的新闻 在很多地方见过他的照片 |
[05:31] | Yeah, he does take a good picture, doesn’t he? | 他确实挺上相的 对吧 |
[05:33] | Honestly, I have no idea. | 老实说 我也不知道为什么见面 |
[05:35] | We don’t do real estate law. | 我们不做房地产法律业务 |
[05:37] | He must have approached Bull privately. | 他一定是私下联系的布尔 |
[05:40] | Why? You want me to get you invited to the meeting? | 为什么问这个 你想让我邀请你吗 |
[05:43] | Nope, not necessary. | 不 没必要 |
[05:45] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[05:48] | Can I ask you another question? A legal question? | 我能再问你一个问题吗 法律问题 |
[05:51] | Hmm. I’m gonna have to start billing you, Taylor. | 开始收费了 泰勒 |
[05:55] | If you meet with a client, a prospective client, | 如果你和一个潜在客户见了面 |
[05:57] | and they have a case, do you ever meet with the other side… | 他们有个案子 你会不会再去见另一方 |
[06:00] | the person they’re suing, | 去见他们起诉的那人 |
[06:02] | or the person they’re accusing of something… | 或者去见他们指控的人 |
[06:03] | to see which side of the case you want to represent? | 然后再看与案子的哪一方合作呢 |
[06:06] | Nope. Doesn’t work that way. | 不会 不是那样的 |
[06:09] | Once you meet with one side of the legal dispute, | 一旦与一场法律纠纷的其中一方见面 |
[06:12] | you’re forbidden from meeting with the other side. | 就不准再与另一方见面 |
[06:14] | Part of the code of conduct. | 这是行为准则的一部分 |
[06:15] | Always has been. | 一直都这样 |
[06:17] | Forbidden, huh? | 禁止啊 |
[06:19] | Long as I’ve been doing it. | 我一直都这样做 |
[06:21] | So it’s kind of… whoever gets there first. | 等于说… 先到先得 |
[06:24] | Yeah, you could say that. | 对 可以那么说 |
[06:35] | Jessica? | 杰西卡 |
[06:37] | I’m Taylor. We spoke on the phone? | 我是泰勒 我们通过电话吧 |
[06:39] | From Homeland Security? | 从国土安全部打来的吗 |
[06:41] | Well, not anymore. | 我不在那了 |
[06:42] | I, uh… sorry if I wasn’t clear on the phone. | 抱歉没在电话里和你说明白 |
[06:45] | I… I work at a legal firm now. | 我现在在一家律师事务所工作 |
[06:46] | Well, whatever. | 随便吧 |
[06:47] | I’m just… blown away that you want to help me. | 我只是很高兴你想帮我 |
[06:51] | And I do. I want to help you. | 我也是 我想帮你 |
[06:53] | The thing is, the lawyer I arranged | 问题是 我安排来见我们的律师 |
[06:55] | to meet us isn’t here yet, so I’m gonna bring you inside, | 还没到 所以我要先带你进去 |
[06:57] | get you seated, and then, um, | 给你找个座位 然后 |
[06:59] | I wait out here for him. Are you okay with that? | 我在外面等他 可以吗 |
[07:02] | Uh, sure. | 可以 |
[07:08] | Taylor? | 泰勒 |
[07:10] | Hey. Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[07:11] | I didn’t get a chance to go home and change. | 我没空回家换衣服 |
[07:13] | Not to worry. | 没关系 |
[07:14] | She’s a very, very casual girl. | 她是个非常随和的女孩 |
[07:16] | I just… I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:18] | I thought you two might hit it off. | 我觉得你俩能合得来 |
[07:21] | And like I told you, she’s having some legal problems. | 我和你说了 她碰到了法律纠纷 |
[07:24] | Probably gonna ask you a ton of questions. | 可能会问你一堆问题 |
[07:26] | Great icebreaker. | 不错的破冰 |
[07:31] | All right. | 好了 |
[07:36] | Taylor, Taylor, Taylor. | 泰勒 泰勒 泰勒 |
[07:38] | Is that her? | 那是她吗 |
[07:40] | That’s her. | 是她 |
[07:42] | Boy. She looks awfully young. | 天呐 她看着可太年轻了 |
[07:44] | So do you. | 你也是 |
[07:48] | Taylor, I know you mean well, but I’m thinking | 泰勒 我知道你是好意 但是 |
[07:50] | that maybe this isn’t such a good idea. | 这可能不是个好主意 |
[07:52] | Well, how will we know if you don’t try? | 不试试怎么知道呢 |
[07:55] | Come on, Benny. Just sit down. She’s not gonna bite. | 好了 本尼 安稳坐下 她又不咬人 |
[07:58] | She’s gonna ask you about the law and court | 她只会问问关于法律和法庭的事情 |
[08:00] | and this situation she got herself into. | 还有她目前陷入的处境 |
[08:02] | What kind of situation? | 什么处境 |
[08:04] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[08:06] | But if we just stand here, we’ll never find out. | 但如果你只是站在这里 我们永远都不会知道 |
[08:10] | Do it for me. | 就当为了我 |
[08:13] | All right, I’m in. | 好吧 我去 |
[08:15] | Let’s eat. | 我们过去吧 |
[08:18] | Jessica. | 杰西卡 |
[08:19] | Meet my friend Benny. | 这是我的朋友本尼 |
[08:21] | Benny, this is Jessica. | 本尼 这位是杰西卡 |
[08:22] | Jessica, so lovely to meet you. | 杰西卡 见到你很高兴 |
[08:25] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[08:26] | So, Taylor tells me | 泰勒跟我说 |
[08:28] | that you are having some legal issues. | 你遇到了些法律上的问题 |
[08:30] | What’s going on? Are you staring at a court date? | 发生什么了 你准备好出庭了吗 |
[08:33] | No. I wish. | 没 我倒想 |
[08:35] | But I’d like to be. | 我愿意的 |
[08:37] | I’d like to go to court. I’d like to get some justice. | 我想让法庭审理 得到公正的审判 |
[08:40] | Well, let’s see if we can’t help you. | 让我们看看能怎么帮你 |
[08:43] | Let’s start from the beginning. Want to tell me what happened? | 从头讲起吧 可以告诉我发生了什么吗 |
[08:47] | I was raped. | 我被强奸了 |
[08:51] | Okay. | 好的 |
[08:53] | No. I mean, um… | 不 我是说 |
[08:55] | no, it’s not okay. | 不 这不好 |
[08:56] | I mean, uh… wow. | 我是说 天呐 |
[08:59] | Uh… oh, my goodness. | 呃 我的天呐 |
[09:01] | I’m… I’m so sorry. | 我 我很遗憾 |
[09:02] | Do you have any idea who did this to you? | 你知道是谁做的吗 |
[09:06] | Oh, yeah. I know exactly who did this to me. | 哦 知道 我很确定我知道 |
[09:10] | He’s kind of famous. | 他还有点名气 |
[09:11] | Anybody I’d know? | 我认识吗 |
[09:13] | Maybe. You know Nathan Alexander? | 可能吧 你知道纳森·亚历山大吗 |
[09:19] | Yeah. | 知道 |
[09:22] | Yeah, yeah, I’ve… I’ve… I’ve definitely… | 是的 是的 我…我的确… |
[09:24] | heard that name. | 听说过这个人 |
[09:30] | So lovely to meet you, Jessica. | 见到你很高兴 杰西卡 |
[09:33] | May I please speak to you outside? | 能借一步说话吗 |
[09:37] | I’m confused. Is he… coming back? | 我不明白 他还回来吗 |
[09:39] | Just give me one second. | 稍等片刻 |
[09:43] | Benny! | 本尼 |
[09:47] | You know what you just did? | 你知道你刚做了什么吗 |
[09:49] | Followed you out here? | 追你出来吗 |
[09:53] | You just made it impossible for me | 我明天就要见纳森·亚历山大 |
[09:55] | to meet with Nathan Alexander tomorrow. | 你让我怎么直视他 |
[09:57] | Well, only if he’s coming in to talk about | 除非他过来谈谈 |
[09:59] | how he’s worried he might be accused | 他担心自己会被起诉 |
[10:01] | of raping a dancer he met at a gentlemen’s club. | 因为她强奸了一位夜总会的舞者 |
[10:05] | A dancer at a gentlemen’s club? | 夜总会的舞者 |
[10:07] | Benny, she’s really desperate. | 本尼 她真的走投无路了 |
[10:09] | You… | 你 |
[10:11] | you did this on purpose. | 你是故意的吧 |
[10:15] | What do you think’s gonna happen next, Taylor? | 你觉得接下来会发生什么 泰勒 |
[10:17] | Huh? What do you think Bull’s gonna say? | 你觉得布尔会说什么 |
[10:20] | Well, I’m hoping, | 我希望 |
[10:21] | when he and you actually hear Jessica’s story, | 当你们俩亲耳听完杰西卡的故事后 |
[10:24] | you’ll want to help her. | 你们会想要帮她 |
[10:25] | Help her? Help?! | 帮她 帮她 |
[10:28] | Forget about her! I’m talking about you! | 别管她了 我说的是你 |
[10:32] | You’re gonna be looking for a job tomorrow. | 明天你的饭碗可能就保不住了 |
[10:34] | You get that, don’t you? | 你知道的对吗 |
[10:35] | I’m sorry, Benny. | 抱歉 本尼 |
[10:37] | I’m really sorry, but… | 非常抱歉 但是 |
[10:39] | No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no. No. | 不不不不 |
[10:41] | There-there is no “But.” There is no “But.” | 没有但是 没有但是 |
[10:44] | Nathan Alexander was a major guy, | 纳森·亚历山大是重要人物 |
[10:47] | and you just shut us out of doing business with him. | 而你刚刚封锁了我们和他做生意的机会 |
[10:50] | And last I checked, your name is not even on the door. | 我没记错的话 你应该不是我们老板 |
[10:53] | Who the hell do you think you are, pulling a stunt like this? | 你以为你是谁 还耍这种花招 |
[11:10] | Now, I’ve asked Marissa to sit in to protect me | 我让玛丽莎一起过来了 如果她认为有必要的话 |
[11:15] | from myself if she deems that necessary. | 会阻止我做出不合理的决定 |
[11:18] | But honestly, I cannot conjure a world | 但说实话 为了公司 我想不出 |
[11:20] | where I do not let you go for cause. | 任何不辞退你的原因 |
[11:24] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[11:25] | And lest you think I’m overreacting, | 我怕你们觉得我反应过度 |
[11:28] | I called Mr. Alexander’s general counsel this morning, | 所以今早我和亚历山大先生的法律总顾问通了话 |
[11:31] | and I asked him, “Does this meeting | 我问他 “这个会议 |
[11:32] | have anything to do with a gentlemen’s club?” | 和夜总会有关系吗” |
[11:34] | And he, of course, laughed and said, | 果然他笑着答道 |
[11:36] | “Absolutely not.” | “当然没有” |
[11:37] | And five minutes later, | 但五分钟后 |
[11:39] | someone from his office called and canceled the meeting! | 他的办公室打来电话说会议取消 |
[11:41] | Well, actually, I think that kind of proves my point. | 我觉得这一定程度上验证了我的想法 |
[11:44] | Excuse me, Taylor. | 你说什么 泰勒 |
[11:46] | I am not here to hear your point. | 我不是来听你的想法的 |
[11:48] | You are here to hear my point. | 我是让你来听听我的想法 |
[11:49] | You cost me money. | 你让我损失了资金 |
[11:51] | You cost me a valuable business relationship. | 你让我损失了一份宝贵的商业关系 |
[11:54] | And I’m not sensing | 但我没听出来 |
[11:56] | a tremendous amount of contrition on your part. | 你有感到无比的懊悔 |
[11:59] | I disagree, Bull. I think that Taylor is very… | 我不赞同 布尔 我觉得泰勒非常… |
[12:01] | The woman I’m trying to help was raped. | 我想帮助的这位女士被强奸了 |
[12:03] | This man you were planning to meet with today, | 你今天想会见的这位男性 |
[12:06] | this man you want to have | 你想与其建立 |
[12:07] | a valuable business relationship with | 宝贵商业关系的这位男性 |
[12:10] | had sex with her without her consent. | 没有经过她的同意就和她发生性行为 |
[12:12] | Again, I understand that, but that is not the point. | 我重申 我理解 但这不是重点 |
[12:14] | There is no other point. | 这就是重点 |
[12:16] | He did a horrible thing. | 他做了丑恶的事 |
[12:18] | And there’s no reason to think he hasn’t done it before, | 而他极有可能犯有前科 |
[12:21] | and there’s no reason to think he won’t do it again. | 也极有可能重蹈覆辙 |
[12:23] | But because he’s rich… | 可就因为他有钱… |
[12:25] | What does that have to do with anything? | 这有什么关系吗 |
[12:27] | Oh, my God. | 天呐 |
[12:28] | That has everything to do with everything. | 这关系到所有的事情 |
[12:31] | Because he’s rich, if this ever does go to court, | 因为他有钱 就算到了法庭 |
[12:34] | he’ll pay to have someone like you minimize it | 他也能出钱找人 比如你 来平息事件 |
[12:36] | and obfuscate the facts | 混淆事实 |
[12:38] | and pack the jury with a bunch of people | 雇一队陪审团 |
[12:40] | who want to be him and want to have what he has | 而这群人都觊觎他的地位和钱财 |
[12:43] | and therefore would never, ever vote against him | 这样陪审团永远不会投反对票 |
[12:45] | or the person they think they might be | 因为那就是他们未来的自己 |
[12:47] | if they ever won the lotto | 如果他们能买彩票中头彩 |
[12:48] | or the Powerball or the Irish Sweepstakes. | 或者赌博大赚一笔 |
[12:51] | Is this the argument | 这段话 |
[12:53] | that’s supposed to convince me not to fire her? | 是在劝我不炒她鱿鱼吗 |
[12:56] | Lest we forget, | 别忘了 |
[12:57] | these are allegations you are talking about, | 你说的都是毫无证据的指控 |
[12:59] | not provable facts. | 不是可证的事实 |
[13:00] | – Really? – Mm. | – 是吗 – 对 |
[13:01] | Then why’d he offer her a million dollars this morning | 那为什么今早他给她一百万美元 |
[13:03] | to sign an NDA? | 让她签保密协议 |
[13:05] | Uh, did she take it? | 她接受了吗 |
[13:06] | No. | 没 |
[13:07] | She wants to go to court! | 她想上法庭 |
[13:13] | This is just a really bad dude. | 他真的坏透了 |
[13:17] | If we don’t try to stop him, | 如果我们不阻止他 |
[13:19] | who will? | 还有谁会 |
[13:22] | The simple truth is there are things we control | 简单来说 有些事情我们有把握 |
[13:24] | and things we don’t. | 有的没有 |
[13:25] | Your case against Mr. Alexander is not, | 你对亚历山大先生的指控 |
[13:28] | for the conceivable future, heading to court. | 在可见的将来 是无法诉诸法庭审理的 |
[13:30] | It just isn’t, | 就是不行 |
[13:32] | and there’s nothing we can do about it. | 我们也爱莫能助 |
[13:34] | The D.A.’s office is convinced there’s no there there. | 地方检察院否决了上诉 |
[13:37] | A complete lack of evidence and witnesses. | 缺少大量证据和目击证人 |
[13:40] | No one saw anything. No one heard anything. | 没人看到或听到任何事 |
[13:44] | I don’t know what to tell you. | 我不知道该跟你说什么 |
[13:48] | Well, couldn’t we maybe file in civil court? | 那我们不能在民事法院打官司吗 |
[13:51] | Assault and intentional infliction | 可以按性骚扰和 |
[13:53] | of emotional distress. | 故意造成情绪困扰的罪名来立案 |
[13:55] | Something like that. | 或者其他类似的罪名 |
[13:57] | I don’t understand. | 我没听懂 |
[13:59] | It would be a civil trial. | 上民事法庭的案件必须得是民事案件 |
[14:01] | You’d be suing him for money, | 在民事法庭上你只能让他赔钱 |
[14:03] | not threatening to send him to jail. | 而不能把他送进监狱 |
[14:04] | And the burden of proof is lower. | 但同时收集证据的压力也没那么大 |
[14:06] | You’d only have to convince five out of six jurors | 你只用说服六个陪审员中的五个 |
[14:08] | – instead of 12. – Hold the phone. | – 而不是十二个 – 等等 |
[14:09] | Before everyone gets carried away, | 先别扯那么远 |
[14:10] | we still don’t have any real evidence. | 我们现在还没有实际的证据 |
[14:12] | Whether it’s in criminal court | 不管是上刑事法庭 |
[14:13] | or civil court, | 还是民事法庭 |
[14:15] | it is still just a “He said, she said” Situation, | 要是没有证据就只能”公说公有理 婆说婆有理” |
[14:18] | and I honestly don’t think | 并且我真心不认为 |
[14:20] | there is enough here to go forward. | 有什么继续下去的必要 |
[14:23] | Well, not to cast any aspersions on the NYPD detectives | 我不是想给纽约警察局的那些 |
[14:27] | that have already looked into this, | 正在调查此案的警察泼脏水 |
[14:28] | but would anyone mind if I did a little investigating? | 但我能不能自己做点调查呢 |
[14:32] | I mean, just because | 我是说 |
[14:34] | no one’s found any evidence yet | 虽然现在他们还没找到任何证据 |
[14:35] | doesn’t mean there isn’t any evidence to be found. | 但并不代表完全没有证据 |
[14:53] | Can I help you? | 有什么能帮你的吗 |
[14:56] | You looking for a restroom? | 你是在找厕所吗 |
[14:58] | Do I look like I’m looking for a restroom? | 我看起来像是来找厕所的吗 |
[15:00] | My mistake. | 不好意思 |
[15:03] | You’d be amazed at the number of people | 你绝对想不到有多少人 |
[15:05] | who come in God’s house looking for a restroom. | 来上帝家里找厕所 |
[15:07] | Well, what can I point you towards? | 你想去哪个方向呢 |
[15:10] | Oh, I was hoping I could… | 我正想着 |
[15:13] | make an appointment to speak to someone. | 随便预约一个人 |
[15:16] | Home stuff. | 聊聊家里的一些事 |
[15:18] | Family stuff. | 家里的事 |
[15:19] | You belong to the parish? | 你是这个教区的吗 |
[15:21] | No. I do not. | 不是 |
[15:23] | I don’t think I’ve stepped inside a church | 我觉得这个世纪以来 |
[15:26] | for anything other than a wedding or a baptism | 除了婚礼和婴儿洗礼 |
[15:29] | since the turn of the century. | 我再也没有踏入过教堂了 |
[15:31] | And what’s going on at home? | 你家里发生什么事了 |
[15:34] | At least give me an idea so I can figure out | 你多少得告诉我一点信息 |
[15:37] | who you ought to talk to. | 这样我才知道你应该和谁谈谈 |
[15:39] | It’s kind of private. | 这有点私密 |
[15:47] | It’s my daughter. | 是关于我女儿的 |
[15:49] | She is bound and determined to do something. | 她很坚定的要去做一件事 |
[15:52] | Something that I know to be wrong. | 一件我认为是不正确的事 |
[15:55] | It’s just the wrongest thing in the world. | 是世界上最为错误的一件事 |
[15:59] | But she says she wants me with her. | 但她说她想让我陪她 |
[16:02] | Says she needs me with her. | 想要我陪在她身边 |
[16:05] | And I don’t want her | 但是 |
[16:07] | to do this thing that she’s going to do, | 我并不想让她做这件事 |
[16:08] | but I also… | 但同时 |
[16:10] | I don’t want to let her down. | 我也不希望让她难过 |
[16:14] | And the truth is is that she’s gonna do it | 事实上 不管有没有我 |
[16:16] | with or without me. She’s an adult now. | 她都会去做这件事 她现在是个成年人了 |
[16:19] | I just… | 我只是 |
[16:22] | I don’t know whether to be a good father | 不太确定 应该当一个好爸爸 |
[16:26] | or a good person. | 还是做个好人 |
[16:28] | Very God-like problem. | 这个问题颇有上帝的意味 |
[16:31] | How do you mean? | 这是什么意思 |
[16:35] | Relationship between a parent and a child, | 父母和子女之间的关系 |
[16:39] | the relationship between God and every single human being | 与上帝和每个人之间的关系 |
[16:41] | is not that different. | 其实并没有多大区别 |
[16:43] | God stays with you | 无论你做了好事还是坏事 |
[16:44] | whether you’re doing something good or bad. | 上帝都与你同在 |
[16:46] | Tries to let you know | 上帝会以一切可能的方式 |
[16:48] | in every way possible that… | 让你知道 |
[16:51] | you’re not doing the right thing. | 你做的事是不正确的 |
[16:54] | But more important than that, | 但更重要的是 |
[16:56] | he wants you to know | 上帝想让你知道 |
[16:57] | that no matter what, | 不管发生什么 |
[17:00] | he’s still with you. | 他都会与你同在 |
[17:02] | Same thing for a parent, don’t you think? | 父母对子女亦是如此 不是吗 |
[17:05] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[17:08] | I hear you. | 我懂了 |
[17:10] | So, let’s, uh… | 那么 |
[17:12] | see who we might set you up with. | 我看看把你安排给哪一个人 |
[17:15] | Actually, I’m good. | 其实 我感觉不用了 |
[17:20] | You sure? | 你确定吗 |
[17:24] | I’m very sure. | 非常确定 |
[17:29] | Thank you, Pastor. | 谢谢你 牧师 |
[17:30] | Uh, son? | 孩子 |
[17:57] | So it’s true. | 看来这是真的 |
[17:59] | What Marissa texted me was true. | 玛丽莎发短信告诉我的那些是真的 |
[18:03] | We’re going to court. | 我们要出庭了 |
[18:06] | There’s no talking you out of this. | 劝已经劝不住你了 是吗 |
[18:12] | I… I leave the office for five hours, | 在我离开不在办公室的这五个小时 |
[18:15] | and not only do you not fire Taylor | 你不仅没有开除泰勒 |
[18:17] | but you reward her reckless behavior | 还奖励她的鲁莽 |
[18:21] | by taking this case. | 把这宗案子给接了 |
[18:23] | Okay, so you want me to fire Taylor? | 那你是想让我把泰勒开除 |
[18:25] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[18:27] | But I don’t relish the idea of devoting weeks | 但我并不喜欢在一个没有任何证据的案子上 |
[18:31] | to a “He said, she said” Case | 花上几周的时间 |
[18:33] | where the “He” Is a very powerful | 况且这个男的还是 |
[18:35] | and accomplished member of our community | 一个有权势有成就的人 |
[18:37] | and the “She” Is… | 而这个女的… |
[18:38] | Not? | 没权没势吗 |
[18:40] | I don’t know what to tell you. | 我不知道该跟你说什么 |
[18:43] | I was sitting over there, | 当时我坐在那 |
[18:45] | and I was trying to convince everybody | 并且我想说服所有人 |
[18:47] | how foolhardy this would all be, | 这有多么鲁莽 |
[18:48] | that we were on the wrong side of it, | 我们这一边很难取胜 |
[18:50] | that I had been doing this long enough | 我在这一行干了很多年 |
[18:53] | that I knew how it was gonna go. | 我知道这次必输无疑 |
[18:55] | You can’t fight the kind of entrenched power | 像纳森·亚历山大那种地位牢固的人 |
[18:57] | a guy like Nathan Alexander represents. | 是很难打赢的 |
[19:01] | And I’m hearing myself talk, | 我嘴上这样说着 |
[19:04] | and I’m thinking, | 但心里在想 |
[19:06] | “When did you become so old | “你什么时候也这么陈腐 |
[19:09] | and cynical and afraid?” | 这么世俗和畏首畏尾了” |
[19:11] | And I’m thinking about my kid, | 我想到了我的孩子 |
[19:13] | about your niece or nephew and if something | 也是你的侄子或者侄女 |
[19:15] | horrible ever happened to them | 如果有什么可怕的事发生在他们身上 |
[19:17] | that they would come to someone like me. | 他们一定会求助于像我这样的人 |
[19:21] | And somewhere in there, | 于是我听从心里的声音 |
[19:23] | I had Marissa call over to the courthouse, | 让玛丽莎给法庭打了电话 |
[19:24] | and you know the rest. | 接下来的就按部就班了 |
[19:28] | All right. | 好吧 |
[19:29] | Well… see you in the morning. | 明天早上见 |
[19:33] | See you in the morning. | 明早见 |
[19:42] | Have you or anyone you know ever been the victim | 在你或者你认识的人中 |
[19:44] | of sexual assault? | 是否有人遭受过性骚扰? |
[19:46] | If so, if that experience will impact your ability | 如果有 如果这种经历会影响 |
[19:49] | to be impartial in this case, please raise your hand. | 你对整个案件的公正判断 请举手 |
[19:57] | All right, then. | 好吧 |
[19:58] | I’ll speak to those jurors individually | 我会和这些陪审员 |
[20:00] | at sidebar regarding their ability | 私下讨论一下 |
[20:02] | to serve on this jury. | 看他们能否出席陪审 |
[20:13] | We got our work cut out for us. | 我们的胜利法宝没了 |
[20:16] | Where did all the girls go? | 那些女孩呢 |
[20:23] | Thanks for taking the time | 感谢您花时间陪我说话 |
[20:24] | to speak with me, Ms. Alexander. | 亚历山大小姐 |
[20:26] | You can call me Beth. | 你可以叫我贝思 |
[20:29] | You’re here about Nathan, aren’t you? | 你来这是为了纳森 对吗 |
[20:32] | I grew up riding. Horses. | 我从小就是骑马长大的 |
[20:35] | And I always wanted one of my own. | 所以我一直想拥有一匹属于自己的马 |
[20:38] | And when Nathan and I got married, | 当年我和纳森结婚的时候 |
[20:40] | he bought me the most beautiful black quarter horse. | 他给我买了一匹无比漂亮的黑色夸特马 |
[20:44] | She was everything to me. | 当时 这匹马就是我的一切 |
[20:47] | Then one day, | 直到有一天 |
[20:48] | barely four and a half years later, | 仅仅过了四年半 |
[20:50] | he wanted a divorce. | 他就提出了离婚 |
[20:52] | He offered me half his fortune, | 他提出给我一半的财产 |
[20:54] | this apartment, half the stock portfolio, | 还有这栋公寓 一半的股票 |
[20:57] | no questions asked. | 什么问题也没问 |
[21:00] | When it came to that horse… | 但当说到那匹马的时候 |
[21:05] | He fought me with everything he had. | 他用他所有的手牌和我对抗 |
[21:10] | ‘Cause he knew that’s what I really loved. | 因为他知道那才是我真正在意的事 |
[21:14] | So you can ask me anything. | 所以你随便问吧 |
[21:18] | I’m bulletproof. | 我现在什么都不怕 |
[21:20] | He got my horse. | 他已经有了我的马 |
[21:22] | Do you know what your ex-husband is accused of? | 你知道你的前任被指控什么罪吗 |
[21:27] | I read about it. | 我看新闻看到了 |
[21:30] | Some men… | 有些男人 |
[21:33] | You can’t give them anything. | 你不能给他们任何东西 |
[21:35] | It only feels good to them if they take it. | 索取对他们来说是理所应当的 |
[21:39] | Are you aware of him taking anything | 你知道他从别的女人那里 |
[21:41] | from any other woman? | 索取了什么吗 |
[21:45] | He hired this nice young woman to walk our dog. | 他雇了一位年轻姑娘来为我们遛狗 |
[21:49] | This pretty college girl. | 挺漂亮的 还是大学生 |
[21:52] | The way she would look at Nathan when she would come over, | 她每次过来 从她看纳森的眼神 |
[21:55] | I just… I knew something was going on | 我就… 我就能感觉到不太对劲 |
[21:56] | or that she wanted something to go on. | 或者她想要干点什么 |
[22:00] | Then one day, about six months before we divorced, | 于是有一天 大概我们离婚前六个月 |
[22:03] | she just quit. | 她辞职了 |
[22:06] | Nathan said she was moving back to wherever | 纳森说她要搬回一个什么地方 |
[22:08] | to look after her sick mother, but… | 去照顾她生病的母亲 但是… |
[22:11] | the look on her face when she came by | 她回来领她最后一笔工资 |
[22:13] | to pick up her last check was… | 我看到她的神情… |
[22:17] | Do you remember her name? | 你还记得她叫什么吗 |
[22:19] | And the night that Mr. Alexander approached you… | 亚历山大先生接近你的那天晚上 |
[22:22] | he gave you $25? | 他给了你二十五美元 是吗 |
[22:24] | He gave me $100 and told me to keep the change. | 他给了我一百美元 告诉我不用找零了 |
[22:28] | So what did you do? | 你当时是怎么做的呢 |
[22:29] | I smiled, and I said, “For that much, | 我微笑着说 “这么多钱 |
[22:32] | you could have gone into one of the VIP rooms.” | 你都可以去贵宾室了” |
[22:35] | And how did he respond? | 那他是怎么回答的呢 |
[22:36] | He said, “That’s a great idea.” | 他说 “真是个好主意” |
[22:39] | And he took my hand, and he led me | 然后他牵着我的手 带着我 |
[22:42] | to the Champagne Room. | 去了香槟室 |
[22:43] | And did you know who he was? | 你当时知道他是谁吗 |
[22:45] | I knew he was a big shot. | 我只知道他是个大人物 |
[22:47] | The girls would get all giddy every time he would come in. | 每次他来 女孩们都会骚动起来 |
[22:50] | So I knew he was a big tipper, | 所以我知道他小费给得很多 |
[22:52] | but it’s not like I knew his name. | 但我不知道他的名字 |
[22:54] | So he took you to the Champagne Room. | 所以他带你到了香槟室 |
[22:57] | Can you tell us exactly what happened? | 你能说说具体发生了什么吗 |
[23:00] | He raped me! | 他强奸了我 |
[23:04] | I was in the middle of the second song when | 我当时正在跳第二首歌 |
[23:08] | I looked down, and I realized | 然后往下一看 |
[23:09] | he’d unzipped his fly and undid his belt. | 发现他解开了皮带 拉下拉链 |
[23:13] | I kept dancing over him, | 我不停地在他前面跳舞 |
[23:15] | pretending not to notice. | 我假装没有看到 |
[23:18] | Then he put his hands around my waist | 然后他把他的手放到了我的腰上 |
[23:21] | and pulled me in towards him. | 把我朝他那边拉 |
[23:24] | Did you scream? | 你尖叫了吗 |
[23:26] | Yeah. | 当然了 |
[23:27] | But the music was really loud. | 但音乐声太大了 |
[23:30] | There’s a panic button on the wall, | 墙上是有一个安全按钮的 |
[23:32] | but he was holding me, so I couldn’t get to it. | 但他抱着我 所以我够不到 |
[23:35] | I kept hitting him, hitting him, | 我不停地打他 一直打他 |
[23:39] | but he seemed to like that. | 但他看起来很享受 |
[23:41] | Then he jumped up out of his chair. | 然后他从椅子上跳了起来 |
[23:44] | He turned me over. | 把我转过去 |
[23:45] | And the next thing, | 接下来 |
[23:48] | we were on the floor, and… | 我们就到了地板上 |
[23:51] | I couldn’t see anything. | 我什么也看不见了 |
[23:52] | I had my eyes closed anyway. | 干脆也把眼睛闭上了 |
[23:56] | Any idea how long it lasted? | 你大概知道过程持续了多久吗 |
[23:59] | It seemed like it lasted forever. | 感觉像是永恒 |
[24:03] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[24:07] | One last question. | 最后一个问题 |
[24:10] | You didn’t call the police immediately after. | 你完事以后没有立即报警 |
[24:13] | Can I ask why? | 我能问问为什么吗 |
[24:17] | I don’t know. I guess that because… | 我也不知道 我猜是因为 |
[24:20] | he’s a somebody, | 他是个大人物 |
[24:22] | and I’m… | 而我 |
[24:25] | a… A nobody. | 什么也不是 |
[24:28] | I didn’t think anybody would believe me. | 我觉得没有人会相信我 |
[24:32] | Thank you, Ms. Lee. | 谢谢你 李女士 |
[24:33] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[24:35] | Any movement on our end? | 情况有有利变化吗 |
[24:37] | It’s still a sea of red over here. | 胜利还是很艰难 |
[24:43] | You all right? | 你还好吗 |
[24:45] | Need a minute? | 需要休息一下吗 |
[24:47] | I’m all right. | 我还好 |
[24:50] | So… you mentioned | 所以 你提到了 |
[24:52] | that your erotic encounter with my client | 你和我的客户的一次性欲之遇 |
[24:54] | – seemed to go on… – It wasn’t an erotic encounter. | – 看起来… – 这不是什么性欲之遇 |
[24:56] | Forgive me. | 原谅我 |
[24:57] | – Your encounter. – The attack! | – 你们的相遇 – 是人身侵犯 |
[24:59] | Your Honor, may I finish asking my question? | 法官大人 可以让问我的问题了吗 |
[25:01] | The witness | 证人需要 |
[25:03] | will refrain from speaking | 抑制住自己的情绪 |
[25:04] | until counsel has finished asking the question. | 直到辩护人问完这个问题 |
[25:08] | Again, you testified | 我再问一遍 你说 |
[25:11] | that this encounter seemed to last forever. | 这次相遇感觉像是永恒 |
[25:14] | That notwithstanding, | 尽管如此 |
[25:16] | do you remember approximately | 你还记得我的客户 |
[25:18] | what time my client left the Champagne Room? | 离开香槟室的大概时间吗 |
[25:23] | Around 12:30. | 十二点半左右 |
[25:25] | You sure about that? | 你确定吗 |
[25:27] | We went into the Champagne Room | 我们是十二点十分左右 |
[25:30] | ten minutes after 12:00. | 进入的香槟室 |
[25:32] | It was three lap dances, three songs. | 唱了三首歌 中间间隔跳了一小会舞 |
[25:35] | It’s five or six minutes a song. | 一首五六分钟左右 |
[25:37] | That’s about 12:25 or so. | 这就是十二点二十五分左右 |
[25:39] | Excellent. 12:25, 12:30. | 棒极了 12:25, 12:30 |
[25:42] | All right. | 好的 |
[25:45] | Here’s where I get confused. | 我不明白的是 |
[25:47] | If you were so upset over this alleged assault, | 如果你对这场被指控的侵犯非常不满 |
[25:51] | why does security camera footage from the bar | 那么为什么酒吧的安保摄像记录显示 |
[25:53] | show you having a drink | 你和我的客户在当日的 |
[25:55] | with my client at 1:55 a.M.? | 一点五十五分还一起喝酒呢 |
[25:58] | It’s barely an hour and a half | 这是你所说的暴力强奸事件之后的 |
[26:00] | after you claim he violently raped you. | 一个半小时都没到啊 |
[26:03] | Really? Do you have a photo of that? | 真的吗 你有照片吗 |
[26:06] | That’s impossible. I would never do that. | 这是不可能的 我不会这么做的 |
[26:09] | Isn’t this you? | 这不是你吗 |
[26:12] | Isn’t this Mr. Alexander? | 这不是亚历山大先生吗 |
[26:16] | Yes, but maybe that’s from another night. | 是的 但也许这是另一个晚上拍到的 |
[26:18] | Isn’t this date the night in question? | 这不是刚才提问的日期吗 |
[26:21] | And can you see that this is indicating | 你能看出来这标出了 |
[26:23] | that this frame of video was captured | 这一幕发生在 |
[26:25] | 55 in the morning? | 凌晨一点五十五分 |
[26:27] | Yes, I can see what’s | 是的 我能看到照片里都有什么 |
[26:29] | in the photo, but that doesn’t mean that that happened. | 但这又不代表事情真是这样的 |
[26:31] | I’d like to enter | 我想要让这张 |
[26:32] | this still photograph taken from security video | 从安保视频里截出来的 |
[26:34] | recorded the night of the incident as defense exhibit “A.” | 记录了那一晚的事件的照片作为一号辩护证物 |
[26:37] | – So entered. – That doesn’t mean that that happened. | – 好的 – 这又不能说明事情真是这样的 |
[26:40] | That photo was probably doctored. | 这张照片很可能是假的 |
[26:42] | That… | 这… |
[26:43] | that doesn’t mean that that happened. | 这不意味这它真实发生了 |
[26:44] | He probably paid somebody. | 他没准花钱雇了什么人 |
[26:45] | Order! Order! Order! | 安静 安静 安静 |
[26:46] | Just because that there is a photo, | 不能仅仅因为一张照片 |
[26:48] | – it doesn’t mean that that happened. – Order! Again, we need you | – 就说明是真的 – 安静 再说一遍 |
[26:50] | to refrain from speaking until asked a question. | 我们需要你抑制住个人情感直到问完下一个问题 |
[26:53] | Your Honor, these photographs are accurate and real, | 法官大人 这些照片是真是且精准的 |
[26:56] | and the security company which monitors the establishment | 拍摄到李女士声称的事件发生地点的 |
[27:00] | where Ms. Lee claims this incident took place | 摄像头的公司 |
[27:02] | will testify to their veracity. | 会证实它的真实性 |
[27:06] | So my question to you, Ms. Lee, is… | 所以我要问的问题是 李女士 |
[27:10] | is it your normal practice to have drinks with the men | 与你声称侵犯了你的男士在事后九十分钟 |
[27:13] | you claimed to have attacked you a mere 90 minutes later? | 一起饮酒是你的日常工作吗 |
[27:16] | Your Honor! | 法官大人 |
[27:18] | Never mind. | 没关系 |
[27:19] | I withdraw the question. | 我撤回这个问题 |
[27:21] | Nothing further for this witness. | 对证人没有其他问题了 |
[27:29] | Well, listen, I need him to take the stand. | 听着 我需要他出庭作证 |
[27:31] | We don’t have time to prep him. I’ll prep Benny. | 我们没时间帮他准备了 我会帮本尼做好准备 |
[27:34] | If we ask the right questions, we should get the right answers. | 如果我们问对了问题 就能得到正确的答案 |
[27:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[27:39] | I think we’re gonna be okay. | 我觉得我们会没事的 |
[27:51] | All rise! | 全体起立 |
[27:53] | The Honorable Judge McPherson presiding. | 麦克弗森法官进行主持 |
[27:57] | Thank you for joining us last minute, Dr. Benson. | 感谢您最终加入我们 本森博士 |
[28:01] | Now you just shared with the jury your many degrees | 您刚刚向评审团分享了您的众多 |
[28:05] | and your academic accomplishments. | 学位和学术成就 |
[28:07] | But as someone who specializes in psychological trauma, | 但既然您是心理创伤方面的专业人士 |
[28:11] | if I tell you that a woman is raped, | 如果我跟您说 有位女性被性侵 |
[28:14] | but 90 minutes later she is seen having a drink | 但一个半小时后她被人看见 |
[28:19] | with the very man who attacked her, | 与那个袭击她的男人共饮 |
[28:21] | what would your reaction be? | 您会有什么反应 |
[28:23] | Well, without knowing anything, | 在不知详情的情况下 |
[28:25] | without having met the principals | 没有见过当事人 |
[28:27] | or read the histories or looked at the forensics, uh, | 知晓前情或看到法医报告的话 |
[28:31] | I would venture a guess and say | 我会推测 |
[28:33] | it must have been a particularly brutal violation. | 这肯定是一次非常残酷的侵犯 |
[28:39] | Objection. | 异议 |
[28:40] | This last-minute, supposed expert witness | 这位最后一分钟加入的所谓专家 |
[28:43] | is offering up conjecture | 在以猜测 |
[28:44] | and speculation as testimony. | 和推定来作为证词 |
[28:46] | Objection sustained. | 异议成立 |
[28:48] | The jury will disregard that answer. | 陪审团会无视此回答 |
[28:50] | Ask another question, Counselor. | 请问另一个问题 顾问 |
[28:51] | Yes, Your Honor. | 好的 法官阁下 |
[28:53] | Dr. Benson, | 本森博士 |
[28:55] | putting aside what you think might have happened, | 暂且不提您认为发生了什么 |
[28:59] | is it unusual for victims | 对性侵受害者来说 |
[29:02] | of rape to continue to associate with their attacker | 在被袭击后仍保持与袭击者的接触 |
[29:05] | in the hours following the attack? | 这是否有些不同寻常 |
[29:08] | Well, let me put it this way. | 我这么说吧 |
[29:10] | While you wouldn’t call it common, | 虽然你们觉得不同寻常 |
[29:12] | it happens more often than you’d suspect. | 但其实这发生得比大家想象得要频繁 |
[29:15] | And there’s a scientific explanation for it. | 而这是有科学上的解释的 |
[29:18] | After brutal trauma, | 在严重受创之后 |
[29:20] | the victim’s brain often defaults | 受害者的大脑常常自动 |
[29:22] | into a kind of survival mode. | 进入一种生存模式 |
[29:25] | The mind focuses on one thing and one thing only… | 他们的头脑会专注于一件事 即… |
[29:28] | getting through the night | 挺过此夜 |
[29:30] | without further incident or harm. | 避免进一步事故或伤害 |
[29:32] | So you make friends with your enemy. | 于是你与敌人成为朋友 |
[29:35] | Now, what if I told you | 如果现在我告诉您 |
[29:37] | that the victim has no recollection | 受害人记不起 |
[29:39] | of continuing to associate with her attacker | 她在被性侵后 |
[29:42] | in the hours following the rape? | 继续与施暴人保持接触了呢 |
[29:44] | Would, would that shock you? | 这会让您惊讶吗 |
[29:46] | Not really. I mean, the combination | 不太惊讶 我是说 创伤 |
[29:49] | of trauma and adrenaline creates a condition | 加上肾上腺素创造了一种条件 |
[29:52] | where the victim becomes hyper-focused. | 使受害者注意力变得高度集中 |
[29:55] | Uh, they retain details of the trauma itself | 他们对创伤本身的细节 |
[29:59] | in an especially vivid way, | 保有特别生动的回忆 |
[30:01] | but the events surrounding it don’t get coded into the memory, | 但前后发生的事件并没有被写入记忆中 |
[30:05] | because the victim is being controlled by the amygdala, | 因为受害人的精神已被杏仁体控制 |
[30:09] | the survival center of the mind. | 那是大脑的生存中心 |
[30:12] | It’s working like hell | 它正疯狂工作 |
[30:14] | to normalize something that’s not normal. | 把不正常的事情变得正常 |
[30:17] | So the memory, for all intents and purposes, | 于是受害人的记忆 不管出于何种意图和目的 |
[30:20] | gets turned off. | 就被关闭了 |
[30:22] | And if I were to tell you | 如果我告诉您 |
[30:25] | that the victim took three days | 受害人事发后 |
[30:27] | to report what happened to her to the police? | 三天才报警呢 |
[30:30] | Yeah, again, pretty standard stuff. | 同样这是很正常的 |
[30:34] | I mean… but trust me. | 我是说… 但相信我 |
[30:35] | For those 72 hours, | 这七十二小时中 |
[30:37] | the victim is fighting with him or herself | 受害人是在跟自己斗争 |
[30:39] | over whether what they think happened really happened. | 她在想自己所想的是否真实发生了 |
[30:43] | And to be clear, if it hadn’t really happened, | 再说清楚一点 如果真的没有发生 |
[30:46] | they wouldn’t have been fighting with themselves. | 他们就根本不会跟自己纠结了 |
[30:49] | Thank you. No further questions. | 谢谢 没有别的问题了 |
[30:51] | Oh, my God, Marissa! | 我的天 玛丽莎 |
[30:52] | We got a green one! | 有个绿色的 |
[30:53] | We got a green one! | 有个绿色的 |
[30:55] | Will you two keep it down, please? | 你俩小声点行不行 |
[30:57] | Dr. Benson, | 本森博士 |
[31:00] | do you know Jessica Lee? | 您认识杰西卡·李吗 |
[31:01] | Not really. I think that’s her there. | 不认识 那边那位好像就是她 |
[31:04] | Have you ever met Jessica Lee? | 您跟杰西卡·李见过面吗 |
[31:06] | No. | 没有 |
[31:07] | Do you know my client? | 您认识我的客户吗 |
[31:08] | I know of him. We’ve never met. | 我知道他 但从未见面 |
[31:11] | So, then, do you have any proof | 那么 您有任何证据表明 |
[31:13] | that this so-called trauma actually even occurred? | 这个所谓的创伤发生过吗 |
[31:16] | It seems to me that, | 对我来说 |
[31:18] | in this case, the only window we have | 这起案件中 唯一一个 |
[31:21] | into what might have happened that night | 了解当晚发生的事情的窗口 |
[31:23] | is a security photo | 是一张监控照片 |
[31:25] | of the principals sharing a drink | 显示两位当事人就在这起 |
[31:28] | shortly after this trauma supposedly occurred. | 所谓的创伤事件发生不久后一起喝酒 |
[31:31] | – Well, as I explained… – Oh, I’m sorry. | – 就像我解释的… – 我很抱歉 |
[31:33] | I must have missed it. Did your explanation suggest | 我一定是听漏了 您的解释是说 |
[31:37] | that, because they were having a drink, she must have been raped? | 因为他们一起喝酒 她就肯定被性侵了吗 |
[31:42] | Of course not. | 当然不是 |
[31:44] | So, then, what does your testimony prove? | 那么您的证词到底说明了什么 |
[31:52] | We lost our green. | 绿色消失了 |
[31:58] | Hi. Can I help you? | 您好 有什么需要帮助吗 |
[31:59] | Yeah, I’m actually looking for the owner. Tara Atkins? | 是的 我在找店主 塔拉·阿金斯 |
[32:03] | Tara? | 你是塔拉吗 |
[32:04] | Hi. I’m Danny James. | 你好 我是丹尼·詹姆斯 |
[32:06] | I’m an investigator working for Jessica Lee? | 我是为杰西卡·李工作的调查员 |
[32:09] | Perhaps you’ve read about her? | 也许您读到过她 |
[32:11] | She’s suing Nathan Alexander. | 她在起诉纳森·亚历山大 |
[32:15] | What does that have to do with me? | 这跟我有什么关系呢 |
[32:17] | Well, I know that you worked for Nathan | 我知道你为纳森 |
[32:19] | and his then-wife briefly, and that it ended abruptly. | 和他当时的太太短暂工作过 然后突然中止了 |
[32:23] | I just wanted to ask you about that. | 我只想问问您这方面的事 |
[32:25] | I honestly don’t have anything to say. | 我无话可说 |
[32:28] | This is my place of business. | 这是我的店铺 |
[32:29] | I’d appreciate it if you’d go now. | 如果您现在离开 我会很感激的 |
[32:31] | Was it him? | 是因为他吗 |
[32:33] | Did Nathan attack you? | 纳森攻击你了吗 |
[32:34] | Don’t make me call the police. | 别逼我报警 |
[32:36] | Did he pay you to keep quiet? | 他有付钱让你保持沉默吗 |
[32:39] | Is that where you got the start-up money to open this store? | 你就是因此获得启动资金 开了这家店的吗 |
[32:42] | I wish I could help you, but there’s nothing I can do. | 我真希望自己能帮你 但我无能为力 |
[32:45] | I really need you to leave. | 我真的希望你离开 |
[32:47] | If it’s the NDA that’s inhibiting you, | 如果是保密协议限制了你 |
[32:50] | I work with a team of really great lawyers, | 我跟一个很棒的律师团队合作 |
[32:52] | and I’m sure they can figure out a way around it. | 保证他们能找到解决方案 |
[32:57] | If you change your mind. | 如果你改主意了的话 联系我们 |
[33:07] | Mr. Alexander, do you deny | 亚历山大先生 您是否否认 |
[33:09] | being at the Maverick Club on the night in question? | 在事发当晚出现在独行者俱乐部吗 |
[33:11] | I do not. | 我不否认 |
[33:13] | Do you deny that you and Ms. Lee engaged in intimate behavior | 您是否否认您和李女士在午夜后某个时刻 |
[33:16] | at some point past midnight | 在所谓的香槟室 |
[33:17] | in what’s referred to as the Champagne Room? | 进行过亲密行为 |
[33:20] | I do not. | 我不否认 |
[33:22] | Did you rape Ms. Lee? | 您是否性侵了李女士 |
[33:25] | No. | 没有 |
[33:28] | Not that I’m aware of. | 据我所知 没有 |
[33:31] | My sense was that everyone involved | 我的感觉是 当时我俩都度过了 |
[33:33] | was having a very nice time. | 一段非常愉快的时光 |
[33:36] | Mr. Alexander, | 亚历山大先生 |
[33:38] | what’s a guy like you doing in a strip club? | 像您这样的人会去脱衣舞夜总会做什么呢 |
[33:41] | Looking at naked women mostly. | 主要是看裸体女人 |
[33:44] | Look, | 您看 |
[33:46] | you probably won’t like this answer, | 你们很可能不喜欢这个答案 |
[33:48] | but I’m very fond of women. | 但我非常喜欢女人 |
[33:52] | And at the risk of sounding like some kind of Neanderthal, | 虽然我有听起来像个原始人的风险 |
[33:54] | being able to spend time around a woman who is undressed, | 但能和没穿衣服的女人待在一起 |
[33:59] | that’s a pretty terrific way to end one’s day. | 这是结束一天的绝妙方式 |
[34:01] | Now, I know that, for a lot of men, | 现在 我知道 对很多男人来说 |
[34:03] | that happens within the context of a relationship… | 这通常发生在一段关系中… |
[34:06] | marriage, boyfriend, girlfriend… | 比如婚姻 或是情侣之间… |
[34:09] | and I’ve tried that, but it takes time | 我也试过 但这很花时间 |
[34:12] | and it takes energy. | 也很花经历 |
[34:14] | And I’m sort of a well-known figure in this city, | 而在这座城市中我多少算个名人 |
[34:16] | so it also means I need to have my guard up | 这也意味着我得保持警惕 |
[34:19] | because not every woman I meet is solely interested | 因为不是我遇到的每一个女人都只对 |
[34:22] | in getting to know me better. | 更了解我感兴趣 |
[34:24] | So, for me, a gentlemen’s club, | 所以对我来说 绅士俱乐部 |
[34:28] | on a transactional level, they make great sense. | 在交易层面是非常有意义的 |
[34:30] | I pay my money. I meet some nice women, | 我付了钱 认识了些好女人 |
[34:33] | and if I never see them again | 如果我不再见她们 |
[34:34] | or they never see me again, | 或相反 |
[34:36] | neither one of us is surprised or disappointed. | 我们都不会惊讶或失望 |
[34:38] | He has them in the palm of his hand. | 他完全把人们玩弄于股掌之中 |
[34:40] | No one is shocked. No one’s surprised. | 没人感到震惊 没人感到惊讶 |
[34:43] | They’re too busy admiring his imitation of honesty. | 他们光欣赏他精湛的装诚实演技了 |
[34:47] | Why did you ask Ms. Lee to go to the Champagne Room? | 你为什么叫李小姐去香槟房 |
[34:50] | I didn’t. She suggested it. | 我没有 她建议的 |
[34:53] | And it’s your testimony that everything that happened | 你的证词是在那间屋里发生的一切 |
[34:55] | in that room was consensual? | 都是两情相愿的吗 |
[34:57] | That was certainly my impression. | 我是这么认为的 |
[34:59] | I think she knew who I was. | 我以为她知道我是谁 |
[35:03] | How horrible could it have been? | 不然情况会多么的糟糕啊 |
[35:06] | I mean, I didn’t run away and neither did she. | 我没有逃跑 她也没有 |
[35:11] | We had drinks together later that night. | 我们那晚之后一起喝了点酒 |
[35:17] | Is there anything you want to say? | 你还有什么想说的吗 |
[35:19] | Anything you want to apologize for? | 你有想为任何事道歉吗 |
[35:26] | No. | 没有 |
[35:29] | This has been enormously embarrassing | 这件事对我来说非常地尴尬 |
[35:34] | and painful for me. | 以及痛苦 |
[35:37] | In my work, I ask people to trust me. | 在我的工作里 我需要人们信任我 |
[35:42] | Ever since Ms. Lee’s assertions | 自从李小姐的控告 |
[35:45] | were made public, | 被公布于世后 |
[35:47] | it’s become much harder to do. | 一切都变得很困难 |
[35:51] | No. | 所以没有 |
[35:53] | I have nothing to apologize for. | 我没有需要道歉的事情 |
[35:55] | No further questions. | 没有问题了 |
[35:57] | All right, let’s break here for today. | 好的 今天就到此为止吧 |
[35:59] | We’ll pick this up tomorrow with the plaintiff’s cross. | 我们明天从原告的证人交叉询问开始 |
[36:01] | This court is adjourned. | 休庭 |
[36:03] | It is the “He said, she said” Case | 这就是”他觉得 她觉得”的案子 |
[36:05] | I always feared it would be. | 也是我所害怕的情况 |
[36:08] | Unfortunately, the “He” Is a very convincing fellow, | 不幸的是 “他”很有说服力 |
[36:12] | even though I’m certain he’s lying through his teeth. | 虽然我很确定他是在胡说八道 |
[36:14] | Funny. Based on the women I’ve been talking to, | 可笑 根据我询问过的女人们 |
[36:16] | it should be a “He said, they said” Case. | 应该是”他觉得 她们觉得”的情况才对 |
[36:19] | What do you mean? | 什么意思 |
[36:20] | Are you suggesting there are others? | 你的意思是还有其他受害者吗 |
[36:22] | ‘Cause that would change everything. | 这会改变一切的 |
[36:24] | Tara Atkins, Janell Thompson, | 塔拉·阿金斯 简奈尔·汤普森 |
[36:26] | Emily Webber, Amelia Lopez, Tracy Walker. | 艾米丽·韦伯 阿米莉·洛佩兹 崔西·沃克 |
[36:28] | The list goes on. All women I strongly suspect | 名单很长 我强烈怀疑这些女人 |
[36:31] | were raped by Nathan Alexander. | 都被纳森·亚历山大强奸过 |
[36:34] | Well, let’s get ’em in here, | 那去把她们叫来啊 |
[36:35] | and… and Benny can put ’em on the stand. | 本尼可以让他们作证 |
[36:37] | They won’t testify. They’ve all been paid off | 她们不会作证的 她们都已交钱封口 |
[36:40] | and signed nondisclosure agreements. | 还签了保密协议 |
[36:41] | He gives them $2 million and threatens | 他给了她们两百万美元并且威胁 |
[36:43] | to sue them for twice that if they ever breathe a word. | 如果她们说出去就告她们双倍的赔偿 |
[36:47] | It’s so unfair. How do you fight against someone | 这太不公平了 你要怎么和 |
[36:49] | who has all the money in the world? | 一个超级有钱的人对抗 |
[36:51] | Well if it makes you feel any better, he doesn’t have | 如果可以安慰你的话 他没有 |
[36:53] | all the money in the world | 那么多钱了 |
[36:54] | ’cause he gave half to his ex-wife. | 因为他把一半都给前妻了 |
[36:58] | And did he make her sign an NDA? | 他也让她签了保密协议吗 |
[37:00] | It was a divorce. A divorce he wanted. | 是离婚 他自己要离的 |
[37:03] | And how does she feel about her ex? | 她怎么看她的前夫呢 |
[37:05] | Why do you ask? | 为什么问呢 |
[37:07] | Mr. Colon, are you ready to commence | 科隆先生 你准备好 |
[37:10] | cross-examination of Mr. Alexander? | 交叉询问亚历山大先生了吗 |
[37:12] | Yes, I am, Your Honor. | 准备好了 法官大人 |
[37:14] | Mr. Alexander, I really just have one question for you. | 亚历山大先生 我只有一个问题 |
[37:19] | Now, you testified under oath yesterday | 你昨天宣誓作证说 |
[37:23] | that you did not rape my client. | 你没有强奸我的客户 |
[37:25] | – That’s correct. – Okay. | – 是的 – 好 |
[37:27] | So here’s my question: | 那我的问题是 |
[37:31] | have you ever raped anyone? | 你强奸过其他人吗 |
[37:40] | I’m sorry, I didn’t hear your answer. | 抱歉 我没听到你的答案 |
[37:43] | No. Of course not. I’ve never raped anyone. | 没有 当然没有 我没强奸过任何人 |
[37:48] | Ah. Well, then I have no more questions | 好 那我对此证人 |
[37:51] | for this witness. | 没有其他问题了 |
[37:52] | I would, however, | 但是 我现在 |
[37:54] | like to call a rebuttal witness at this time. | 想要在法庭的允许下 |
[37:57] | With your court’s permission, | 传唤一个反驳证人 |
[37:59] | the plaintiff would like to call Ms. Tara Atkins to the stand. | 原告想要传唤塔拉·阿金斯小姐出庭作证 |
[38:03] | Objection, Your Honor. The defense was not made aware | 反对 法官大人 辩护方没有被告知 |
[38:05] | of this witness. This is the first we’re hearing about it. | 此证人的存在 这是我们第一次听说这件事 |
[38:07] | My apologies, Your Honor. | 我很抱歉 法官大人 |
[38:09] | We’re calling this witness to refute Mr. Alexander’s claim | 我们传唤这个证人是用来反驳亚历山大先生的说法 |
[38:12] | just now that, and I quote, “I have never raped anyone.” | 就在刚刚 我引用原话 “我没强奸过任何人” |
[38:16] | Ms. Atkins is prepared to speak on that claim. | 阿金斯小姐已经准备好反驳这个说法了 |
[38:20] | That seems reasonable and relevant to me. | 要求很合理也完全相关 |
[38:22] | The witness may testify. | 证人可以作证 |
[38:24] | Your Honor, the defense would like to request a short recess, | 法官大人 辩方想要申请短暂休庭 |
[38:27] | so we may prepare for this witness. | 这样我们可以为这个证人做准备 |
[38:28] | That seems reasonable as well. | 这听起来也很合理 |
[38:30] | Let’s take a half hour break and resume trial at that time. | 我们休息半个小时然后继续审判 |
[38:34] | Ms. Atkins? Tara Atkins? | 阿金斯小姐 塔拉·阿金斯 |
[38:37] | Come in. | 请进 |
[38:42] | I’ve asked my legal team to sit in. | 我让我的法律小组旁听了 |
[38:44] | You don’t have a problem with that, do you? | 你应该不介意吧 |
[38:49] | Of course not. | 当然不了 |
[38:56] | Just to be clear, in exchange for the $2 million | 先说清楚 作为我客户给你的 |
[39:00] | my client provided you, you signed a nondisclosure agreement. | 两百万美元的交换 你签署了保密协议 |
[39:04] | If you testify to the events which I suspect | 如果你为我所预料的那件事 |
[39:07] | you’ll be asked about on the stand, | 作证的话 |
[39:09] | you’ll be violating that | 你会违反协议 |
[39:10] | agreement and it will cost you $4 million. | 并且会损失四百万美元 |
[39:13] | $4 million I’m reasonably sure you don’t have. | 而我合理地认为你无法拿出这四百万美元 |
[39:16] | Yes, I’m well aware of that. | 是的 我很清楚 |
[39:19] | I want to be certain | 我想确定 |
[39:21] | that you understand how serious this is. | 你明白事情的严重性 |
[39:24] | You signed a legal document. | 你签署了一个法律文件 |
[39:26] | My client is prepared to garnish your wages | 如果你违反协议 我的客户已经做好 |
[39:29] | for the rest of your life if you violate it. | 拿走你后半辈子全部工资的准备 |
[39:32] | Well, | 那么 |
[39:33] | not if I pay up front, right? | 如果我提前支付就不会了吧 |
[39:39] | You’re prepared to pay Mr. Alexander $4 million | 你准备好支付亚历山大先生四百万美元了吗 |
[39:42] | right now? | 现在吗 |
[39:44] | Not that it’s any of your business, | 虽然和你无关 |
[39:46] | but a wealthy benefactor has stepped forward | 但是一个很富有的赞助人站了出来 |
[39:49] | and is willing to finance this transaction for Ms. Atkins. | 资助了阿金斯小姐的这个交易 |
[39:53] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[39:56] | Might I ask who? | 我能问是谁吗 |
[39:58] | Well, I suppose it won’t do any harm. | 说了也没关系 |
[40:00] | The benefactor is Beth Alexander, | 赞助人是贝思·亚历山大 |
[40:02] | your client’s ex-wife. | 你客户的前妻 |
[40:04] | And she asked me to ask you if you wouldn’t mind | 她让我跟你说 |
[40:06] | forwarding a message to Nathan. | 给纳森转达一个消息 |
[40:08] | She wanted him to know she really loved that horse. | 她想告诉他 她真的很爱那匹马 |
[40:18] | We, the jury, find the defendant, Nathan Alexander… | 我们陪审团 判定被告人 纳森·亚历山大… |
[40:24] | …liable for assault and intentional infliction | …对袭击和故意造成精神痛苦 |
[40:28] | of emotional distress. | 负有责任 |
[40:30] | In addition, we, the jury, award compensatory damages | 另外 我们陪审团奖励原告 |
[40:34] | of $1 million to the plaintiff. | 一百万美元的赔偿金 |
[40:38] | And, in addition, we, the jury, also award | 另外 我们陪审团 还给予原告 |
[40:42] | punitive damages | 两千五百万美元的 |
[40:44] | of $25 million to the plaintiff. | 惩罚性赔偿 |
[40:50] | This court thanks you for your service. | 法庭感谢你们的服务 |
[40:52] | Court is adjourned. | 休庭 |
[40:56] | Thank you, Dr. Bull. I honestly don’t know what to say. | 谢谢你 布尔博士 我真的不知道该说什么了 |
[41:03] | I know this really wasn’t about the money for you, | 我知道这不是钱的问题 |
[41:05] | but trust me, with a verdict like that, | 但相信我 这样的判决 |
[41:06] | the D.A.’s gonna want to reopen this case. | 检察官会重启这个案子的 |
[41:08] | And I’d be honored to be there with you when it happens. | 我到时候会很荣幸和你一起出庭的 |
[41:12] | I wouldn’t have it any other way. | 除了你们我不会要其他人的 |
[41:16] | You know, there is a line of women over there | 你知道吗 那有一队女士 |
[41:20] | who want to tell you how proud they are of you. | 她们都想跟你说她们对你有多骄傲 |
[41:26] | I think I owe everything to you. | 我觉得我的一切都是你们给的 |
[41:29] | Don’t be ridiculous. | 别开玩笑了 |
[41:33] | – We girls have to stick together. – Yes. | – 我们女生得团结 – 是啊 |
[41:37] | Thank you so much. Mmm. | 太谢谢你们了 |
[41:44] | Anna? | 安娜 |
[41:48] | It’s me, it’s… it’s your dad. | 是爸爸 |
[41:52] | I’ve been calling and texting | 这三天了一直给你 |
[41:54] | for the last three days. | 打电话发短信 |
[41:57] | I called the phone company this afternoon | 我今天下午给手机公司打电话 |
[42:00] | to find out that you blocked me. | 发现你把我屏蔽了 |
[42:06] | Anna, I… | 安娜 我… |
[42:07] | I just want to talk to you. | 我只想跟你谈谈 |
[42:11] | If you’re in there, would you open the door, | 如果你在里面 你能打开门吗 |
[42:14] | please? | 拜托了 |
[42:21] | I love you, kiddo. | 我爱你 孩子 |