时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:11] | Nice nap? | 睡得好吗 |
[00:13] | These days, if I wake up, I consider it a nice nap. | 最近只要还能醒过来 就算是好觉 |
[00:17] | Mom. | 妈 |
[00:18] | Got some ice cream for you. | 我给你带了冰淇淋 |
[00:21] | And it’s a little melted, | 稍微融化了些 |
[00:22] | so it is nice and soft. | 软软的正好吃 |
[00:25] | No, you eat it. | 不 你吃 |
[00:26] | “You eat it”? What kind of way | “你吃” 有这样 |
[00:28] | is that to talk to your older brother? | 对哥哥说话的吗 |
[00:29] | My only brother. | 我就你这一个哥哥 |
[00:31] | Thank God. | 谢天谢地 |
[00:34] | You don’t want to make me have to get physical. | 别逼我动粗 |
[00:37] | Mom, you better eat it. | 妈 你最好还是吃吧 |
[00:43] | Hello, Zbyszek family. | 你们好 斯拜谢克一家人 |
[00:45] | Just got back from radiology. | 刚从放射科回来 |
[00:46] | What’s the good word, Dr. Weber? | 有好消息吗 韦伯医生 |
[00:49] | Do we really want to have this conversation in front of everyone? | 我们真要这样公开说吗 |
[00:53] | Yes, we do. | 是的 我们愿意 |
[00:58] | I wish I had something positive to report. | 我倒是想有好消息 |
[01:01] | We were aware the cancer in your lungs had metastasized | 我们之前就知道你肺部的癌症已经转移到 |
[01:03] | to your liver and kidneys, | 你的肝脏和肾脏了 |
[01:05] | but this latest MRI shows it’s taken up residence | 但这次最新的核磁共振检查显示 |
[01:07] | in your brain as well. | 你的脑部也有癌细胞了 |
[01:13] | No. | 不是吧 |
[01:14] | I’m so sorry. | 很遗憾 |
[01:17] | So, what now? | 那现在怎么办 |
[01:19] | Now we do all we can to make you as comfortable as possible. | 我们现在只能尽量让你过得舒服点 |
[01:24] | What sort of… | 我还剩… |
[01:27] | time frame are we looking at? | 多少时间 |
[01:29] | About 12 weeks. | 大约十二周 |
[01:32] | Possibly sooner. | 很可能更快 |
[01:34] | I’ll give you some privacy. | 你们单独待会吧 |
[01:44] | There is one other option. | 还有个办法 |
[01:47] | I’m hesitant to bring it up… it’s highly experimental. | 我不太想说… 它还在实验阶段 |
[01:51] | Are-are you talking about a drug? | 你说的是一种药物吗 |
[01:53] | A-A different kind of chemo? | 是另一种化疗吗 |
[01:55] | It is a drug. | 是一种药物 |
[01:56] | But it works very differently than chemo. | 但它的生效机制和化疗大不相同 |
[01:59] | It’s part of a really cutting-edge therapy. | 它属于某种尖端治疗方案 |
[02:02] | And the drug company administering the trials | 实施这种试验的制药公司 |
[02:04] | is extraordinarily selective about whom they’re willing | 对于选择受试病人 |
[02:07] | to test it on, but… | 非常挑剔 但是… |
[02:09] | I happen to have a relationship with this company, | 我碰巧和这家公司有关系 |
[02:11] | and if you’re interested, | 如果你有兴趣 |
[02:12] | I’m fairly certain I could twist their arm. | 我觉得我能让他们找你 |
[02:14] | I mean, would you be interested? | 那么你有兴趣吗 |
[02:17] | – Of course she’s interested. – Wait a second. | – 她当然有兴趣 – 且慢 |
[02:19] | This is the first we’re hearing. | 我们第一次听说这种事 |
[02:20] | Now, I need to warn you. | 我现在得警告你们 |
[02:23] | Before you just blindly consent… | 在你们盲目同意之前… |
[02:26] | the drug is in its first phase of human clinical trials. | 该药物正处于人体临床试验的第一阶段 |
[02:29] | Everything is an open question. | 一切都还没有定论 |
[02:35] | You said you could call somebody and plead our case. | 你说你能找人通融让我们参与试验 |
[02:44] | Why don’t you get that going. | 那就试试吧 |
[02:57] | It’s nice to see you again, Jonathan. | 很高兴又见面了 乔纳森 |
[02:59] | Oh. You, too. | 我也是 |
[03:01] | We’re all so sorry about Lily. | 我们都为莉莉感到很遗憾 |
[03:03] | Thank you, Susan. | 谢谢你 苏珊 |
[03:05] | He’s sitting there in the doctor’s office. | 他就坐在医生办公室里 |
[03:05] | He goes, “Doctor, just last week you told me I only had | 他说 “医生 你上周才告诉我 |
[03:07] | “A month to live; then you send me a bill for $1,000. | 我只剩一个月了 然后你又给我发来了一千美元的账单 |
[03:10] | I can’t pay a bill like that before the end of the month.” | 我月底之前没办法支付这个账单” |
[03:13] | Doctor looks at him and says, “Okay, you win. | 医生看了看他说 “好吧 算你狠 |
[03:16] | Now you have six months to live.” | 你现在还可以活六个月” |
[03:25] | James. | 詹姆斯 |
[03:27] | Jonathan. Jonathan Zbyszek. | 我是乔纳森 乔纳森·斯拜谢克 |
[03:29] | My sister, Lily, was your patient. | 我妹妹莉莉曾是你的病人 |
[03:32] | We lost her two weeks ago. | 她两周前离世了 |
[03:34] | Yes. Of course. | 是吗 是的 |
[03:36] | I’m so sorry. | 我很遗憾 |
[03:39] | What can I do for you, Jonathan? | 你找我有事吗 乔纳森 |
[03:42] | Could I just have a quick word? | 我能和你聊两句吗 |
[03:44] | I’m… sort of in the middle of something. | 我这… 正吃着呢 |
[03:48] | A reporter came to see me. | 有个记者来找过我 |
[03:50] | She’s writing an article about you. | 她正在写一篇关于你的文章 |
[03:53] | About the drug you used on my sister. | 关于你给我妹妹用的那些药 |
[03:57] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[04:00] | Again, I can’t tell you | 重申一下 我为你妹妹 |
[04:02] | how sorry I am about your sister. | 感到的遗憾语言无法表达 |
[04:05] | That reporter told me that that drug you gave Lily | 那个记者告诉我你给莉莉的药 |
[04:07] | had never been used on a human being before. | 从没做过人体试验 |
[04:09] | Ever. | 从来没有 |
[04:11] | Just rats… lab rats. | 试验对象只有老鼠… 小白鼠 |
[04:12] | The reporter told you that? | 这是那个记者告诉你的吗 |
[04:14] | Well, I don’t know where he or she | 我不知道他或她 |
[04:17] | might have gotten their information, but… | 从哪得来的消息 但… |
[04:19] | She screamed. The last two weeks of her life, | 她当时大喊大叫 她生前最后两周 |
[04:21] | she screamed and howled and hallucinated. | 在撕心裂肺地哀嚎 神志不清 |
[04:25] | I kept calling your office and you never got back to me. | 我当时不停地给你办公室打电话 而你从没回过 |
[04:30] | We knew… it… was experimental. | 我们当时都悉知… 那是试验性药物 |
[04:34] | We knew there was a possibility of unpleasant side effects. | 我们知道有可能出现不良副作用 |
[04:38] | – We knew… – You knew nothing! | – 我们知道… – 你根本不知道 |
[04:40] | How could you know anything? | 你怎么可能知道 |
[04:41] | No one had ever tried that stuff before. | 没人尝试过那种新药 |
[04:44] | You turned my sister into a guinea pig. | 你拿我妹妹当试验品 |
[04:47] | Your sister was dying. | 你妹妹当时快死了 |
[04:49] | It was a Hail Mary move. I was very clear about that. | 这是孤注一掷 我很清楚这一点 |
[04:53] | She died a painful, agonizing death | 你害她 |
[04:56] | because of you. | 死得痛苦不堪 |
[04:57] | Her son and I watched her suffer. | 我和她的儿子看着她受罪 |
[04:59] | No peace. Just agony and then silence. | 她片刻不得安宁 离世前一直在痛苦地挣扎 |
[05:04] | They couldn’t give her enough morphine. | 医生怎么打吗啡都没用 |
[05:06] | You’re upset. | 你很烦躁 |
[05:08] | And I’m sorry about that, | 我为此事感到很遗憾 |
[05:09] | but this is neither the time nor the place. | 但此时此地不太方便 |
[05:13] | I’m going back to my table now. | 我要回去吃饭了 |
[05:15] | I’m talking to you. | 我在和你说话呢 |
[05:17] | Call my office. | 打电话给我办公室 |
[05:19] | Make an appointment. | 预约一下 |
[05:21] | Set up a consult. | 安排一次咨询 |
[05:24] | Don’t make me call the police. | 别逼我报警 |
[05:32] | He’s gone for the day. | 他今天不在 |
[05:34] | I need some advice. | 我有事求助 |
[05:36] | Eat more fiber. | 多吃膳食纤维 |
[05:37] | No one will want to be around you, but who cares? | 没人乐意拥戴你又怎么样 |
[05:39] | You’ll outlive them. | 你会比他们长寿 |
[05:43] | There’s a Jonathan Zbyszek outside. | 外面有个叫乔纳森·斯拜谢克的人 |
[05:45] | He doesn’t have an appointment, | 他没有预约 |
[05:46] | but he claims he owns and operates | 但他说曼哈顿这块 |
[05:47] | the parking lot in our building, | 我们这栋的停车场是他的 |
[05:49] | as well as a number of other buildings here in Manhattan. | 这附近几座大厦的也是 |
[05:52] | – Did someone hit my car? – Oh, no, no. | – 我的车被人砸了吗 – 没有没有 |
[05:53] | He says it’s a legal matter. | 他说是有关法律的事 |
[05:55] | He seems pretty upset about something. | 他似乎因为什么事而相当苦恼 |
[05:59] | Mr. Zbyszek? | 是斯拜谢克先生吗 |
[06:01] | I’m Dr. Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[06:03] | What can I do for you? | 有什么能帮忙的吗 |
[06:05] | Whatever I say to you… | 我对你说的任何事… |
[06:08] | it stays between us, right? | 你都不会外传 对吗 |
[06:10] | Whether you end up being my lawyer or not? | 不管最后我是否请你当律师都是吗 |
[06:12] | You’re seeking legal counsel. | 你在寻求法律顾问 |
[06:15] | So yes, anything you say is protected | 所以是的 不管我们是否接你的案子 |
[06:17] | by attorney-client privilege, | 你是否选择我们为你辩护 |
[06:18] | whether or not we end up taking your case, | 你说的任何事 |
[06:21] | whether or not you choose to have us defend you. | 都受”律师当事人特权”保护 |
[06:25] | So how can I help you? | 那么 有什么要帮忙的呢 |
[06:28] | I think I killed a man last night. | 我想我昨晚杀了个人 |
[06:32] | You think? | “你想” |
[06:34] | I killed a man last night. | 我昨晚杀了个人 |
[06:36] | It was an accident, but I killed him just the same. | 那是意外 但说到底仍是我杀了他 |
[06:40] | I pushed him and he fell and he died. | 我推了他一把 他摔下去了 死了 |
[06:44] | So, a week after the funeral, | 葬礼一周后 |
[06:46] | this reporter comes to see him and tells him, | 这个记者去见他并告诉他 |
[06:48] | “This drug has never, ever been used | “这种药从未 |
[06:52] | on a human being.” | 做过人体试验” |
[06:53] | – My God. – And he doesn’t know | – 老天 – 他听到 |
[06:55] | what to do with this information, | 这个消息后不知如何是好 |
[06:56] | how to process it, so… | 不知道该怎样处理 所以… |
[06:59] | he does nothing. | 他什么也没干 |
[07:00] | But… then he walks into a restaurant, | 但是… 有天他去了一家餐厅 |
[07:03] | and there’s the doctor. | 这个医生就在那 |
[07:05] | And he thinks it’s a sign from God. | 他觉得那是上帝的旨意 |
[07:07] | So he goes over to the table, | 所以他走到医生那一桌 |
[07:09] | talk to the guy. | 跟医生对话 |
[07:10] | They step away, they have a little discussion, | 他俩走到一边稍微讨论了几句 |
[07:13] | but the doctor won’t engage. | 但是医生并不愿意配合 |
[07:15] | So Mr. Zbyszek waits outside the restaurant. | 于是斯拜谢克先生在餐厅外面等着 |
[07:18] | When the doctor finally comes out, | 当医生从餐厅里出来之后 |
[07:20] | they walk along the street together. | 他们俩一起在街上走着 |
[07:22] | But now the doctor is just looking straight ahead, | 但现在医生完全不在乎这件事了 |
[07:24] | refuses to say anything. | 也不愿意再说什么 |
[07:25] | And that’s very frustrating to Mr. Zbyszek. | 这令斯拜谢克先生很难接受 |
[07:28] | And finally this Zbyszek guy loses it, | 最后他终于忍不住了 |
[07:30] | and he lays hands on him and pushes him… | 他抓住医生 推了他一把 |
[07:34] | into one of those chain-link barriers | 把他推倒在工地附近的 |
[07:37] | that they put around construction sites. | 一个用链子连接的路障上 |
[07:39] | But… it turns out he’s pushed him into a gate, | 事实上 他是把医生推到了一个大门前 |
[07:42] | and it isn’t locked, | 还是个没上锁的门 |
[07:44] | and it opens up, and the doctor falls 50 feet | 大门被推开 医生掉进了五十英尺深的 |
[07:46] | into a concrete pit. | 混凝土挖成的深坑里 |
[07:51] | So did he call the police? | 那他报警了吗 |
[07:53] | Yup. Public phone. | 打了 用公共电话打的 |
[07:55] | Didn’t give his name. | 没说自己的名字 |
[07:57] | Hung around across the street | 他就在街上游荡 |
[07:58] | long enough to see the ambulance show up | 直到救护车来到现场 |
[08:00] | and take the body away. | 把尸体带走了 |
[08:01] | So what do you want us to do? | 那你想要我们做什么 |
[08:04] | Well, I need the two of you to dig up whatever and whoever | 我要你们两人 找到任何可能见证了 |
[08:07] | might have witnessed this altercation between Mr. Zbyszek and the doctor | 医生和斯拜谢克先生争吵的人证物证 |
[08:11] | at a restaurant called Farfallah on 30th and 11th. | 地点是30大道和11大道交汇处的法法拉餐厅 |
[08:14] | And the doctor’s name | 这个医生叫 |
[08:16] | is Floyd Weber. | 弗洛德·韦伯 |
[08:17] | Sounds like we’re taking this case. | 看来这案子我们要接下了 |
[08:19] | I am leaning that way. | 我是这么想的 |
[08:20] | Why is that? | 为什么呢 |
[08:22] | Guy’s already confessed to you. | 那个人已经和你坦白了 |
[08:24] | Doesn’t sound like there’s a lot to do. | 我觉得我们没有什么能做的了 |
[08:27] | Certainly sounds like he’s guilty. | 我感觉这家伙肯定是有罪的 |
[08:28] | I know. That’s the thing. | 我知道 这就是关键 |
[08:31] | Uh, what’s the thing? | 什么关键 |
[08:33] | I don’t think he is. | 我不认为他有罪 |
[08:44] | I spent a very long night last night. | 昨晚对我来说很漫长 |
[08:47] | Lots of thinking. Lots of soul-searching. | 我想了很多 拷问了自己的灵魂 |
[08:49] | Lots of decision-making. | 做了很多决定 |
[08:51] | I can’t do this. | 我不能这么做 |
[08:53] | I can’t just go on with my life and hope that no one realizes | 我不能这样活下去 期望着 |
[08:57] | that what happened to Dr. Weber didn’t… | 没人知道韦伯医生身上… |
[09:00] | didn’t just happen. | 到底发生了什么 |
[09:02] | So… | 所以 |
[09:04] | if you’re willing, I’d like to hire you folks to represent me. | 如果你们愿意的话 我希望雇你们代表我出庭 |
[09:08] | To call the authorities on my behalf | 代表我打电话给当局 |
[09:10] | and to… | 还有 |
[09:11] | negotiate my surrender. | 谈谈我认罪的事 |
[09:13] | Mr. Zbyszek, what is it about you? | 斯拜谢克先生 你是怎么的呢 |
[09:16] | What is it about your story… | 你的说法有点… |
[09:19] | that I just don’t believe? | 为什么我就是不太相信呢 |
[09:22] | – Excuse me? – Not the most important parts. | – 你说什么 – 对于事情的关键部分 |
[09:24] | I believe it really happened. | 我是深信无疑的 |
[09:27] | I believe it was unintentional. | 我知道你不是故意的 |
[09:29] | The 55th Precinct confirms a body was discovered | 第五十五辖区已经证实了 |
[09:32] | yesterday morning at a construction site | 昨天早上在餐厅旁的工地上 |
[09:35] | near the restaurant. | 发现了一具尸体 |
[09:36] | For what it’s worth, at the moment, | 现在 重要的是 |
[09:39] | it is not being treated as a homicide. | 这并没有被当做是一件杀人案 |
[09:41] | No. | 不 |
[09:43] | The part that doesn’t work for me is you. | 我不相信的是你 |
[09:46] | What are you talking about? | 你到底在说什么呢 |
[09:48] | – What do you mean? – Well, my crack team here… | – 你什么意思 – 我的破案团队 |
[09:50] | Danny was FBI, | 丹尼是FBI的 |
[09:52] | Taylor and Marissa used to work for Homeland Security… | 泰勒和玛丽莎以前在国土安全局工作 |
[09:54] | they got their hands on some neighborhood surveillance video. | 他们能弄到一些地方的监控录像 |
[09:58] | I want to show it to you. | 我想给你看看 |
[10:01] | This is a sidewalk surveillance camera | 这是人行道上的监控探头拍到的 |
[10:04] | taken by the block association business coalition. | 摄像头是街区商业联盟的 |
[10:07] | That’s you, isn’t it? | 这是你 对吧 |
[10:10] | The real question is, | 问题是 |
[10:12] | who is that? | 这是谁 |
[10:17] | You didn’t mention | 你来找我的时候 |
[10:18] | anyone being with you when you came in to speak with me. | 可没说有人和你一起 |
[10:22] | That’s my sister’s son. | 那是我妹妹的儿子 |
[10:24] | My nephew. | 我侄子 |
[10:25] | Andrew, 16. | 安德鲁 十六岁 |
[10:27] | Goes to the Chelsea Academy. | 在切尔西学院上学 |
[10:28] | We were picking up food for dinner. | 我们当时正在取晚餐 |
[10:30] | He-he lives with me now. | 他现在和我一起住 |
[10:32] | Actually, I’m in the process of adopting him. | 事实上 我正准备收养他 |
[10:34] | And did he happen to see you push Dr. Weber into that gate? | 那他看见你把韦伯医生推进了门里了吗 |
[10:37] | No, he did not. | 并没有 |
[10:39] | And did he happen to push Dr. Weber into that gate? | 那么是他把韦伯医生推进去的吗 |
[10:45] | When you came to see me yesterday, | 你昨天来见我的时候 |
[10:46] | I was struck by how little contrition I sensed from you. | 我有点吃惊 因为你身上几乎没有什么懊悔感 |
[10:50] | Here you were, confessing to killing another human being, | 然后你坦白你杀了人 |
[10:54] | but there didn’t seem to be any regret. | 但你看起来一点也不后悔 |
[10:58] | And yet, at the same time, | 但同时 |
[11:00] | you were filled with concern for someone. | 你内心又充满了对某人的担心 |
[11:05] | Not the dead man. | 不是那个死去的人 |
[11:06] | Not yourself. | 也不是你自己 |
[11:08] | For Andrew? | 你在担心安德鲁吗 |
[11:09] | He’s an amazing kid, | 他是个很好的孩子 |
[11:11] | who’s been dealt a very tough hand. | 他经历了不少难事 |
[11:15] | Never knew his dad. | 从小就没有爸爸 |
[11:17] | Mother ripped away from him by cancer. | 母亲又得了癌症去世了 |
[11:20] | No brothers or sisters. | 也没有什么兄弟姐妹 |
[11:22] | He wouldn’t come in the restaurant with me. | 他原本不会和我一起去那家餐厅的 |
[11:25] | It’s kind of o-our neighborhood place. | 那是我们邻里都会去的那种餐厅 |
[11:27] | He knew. | 他知道的 |
[11:28] | He knew… someone would say something about Lily, | 他料到 有人可能会对他母亲说三道四 |
[11:32] | and I think he just couldn’t… | 而我觉得 他不能… |
[11:35] | I came out of the restaurant and I told him | 我从餐厅里走出来 我告诉他 |
[11:37] | I had seen the doctor. | 我见到那个医生了 |
[11:39] | He immediately… he wanted, he wanted to go back in there. | 他马上就想要回到餐厅里去 |
[11:41] | It took me five minutes to talk him out of that idea. | 我花了五分钟才说服他 让他别这么做 |
[11:46] | We started walking home, | 之后我们走路回家 |
[11:48] | stopped in a bodega to grab some milk, | 在一家商店里买了点牛奶 |
[11:51] | and there he is, across the street, | 然后就看到医生正在街对面 |
[11:54] | heading to the subway. | 正准备去坐地铁 |
[11:56] | And all of a sudden, Andy starts yelling, | 突然 安德鲁就开始大喊 |
[11:59] | “You lied to us!” | “你骗了我们” |
[12:01] | And what’d the doctor do? | 那医生做什么了吗 |
[12:02] | He starts walking really fast. | 他开始快走 |
[12:06] | And Andrew? | 那安德鲁呢 |
[12:08] | He runs across the street to catch up with him, and does. | 他跑到街对面 追上了医生 |
[12:11] | And you were trying to keep up with Andrew. | 你努力赶上他了 |
[12:13] | Best I can. | 我尽力了 |
[12:15] | But now he’s standing beside him, | 但他很快站在医生旁边 |
[12:17] | screaming about how he’s a liar, | 大叫他是骗子 |
[12:19] | and the doctor’s got his cell phone out, | 医生掏出了他的电话 |
[12:21] | threatening to call the cops. | 扬言说要报警 |
[12:23] | And Andrew doesn’t care. | 但安德鲁完全不在意 |
[12:25] | The kid’s all up in his face. | 他完全气昏了头 |
[12:27] | “Why won’t you talk to me?” | “你为什么不理我” |
[12:28] | And the doctor keeps turning his back, | 医生只是一直背过身去 |
[12:31] | and-and the kid’s getting angrier and angrier, | 之后安德鲁越来越生气 |
[12:33] | and finally he turns him around and he gives him a shove | 最后他把医生转过身来 给了他一推 |
[12:36] | into the fence, | 把他推进了门 |
[12:37] | and it suddenly swings open, | 突然门就开了 |
[12:39] | and he’s just gone. | 他就这样掉进去了 |
[12:44] | Why don’t you go and pull Andrew out of school | 要不你去把安德鲁从学校里接出来吧 |
[12:46] | and bring him back here. | 把他带到这来 |
[12:48] | We need to get to work. | 我们有的忙了 |
[12:57] | She’ll be down in a minute. | 她很快就下来 |
[12:59] | Uh, doctor’s appointment. | 她预约了医生 |
[13:02] | She’s nervous. | 有点紧张 |
[13:13] | Uh, excuse me. Any way we can put this barrier up, here? | 你能把挡板弄出来吗 |
[13:17] | Just for privacy? | 我想有点隐私 |
[13:20] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[13:29] | Is this Dr. Bull’s? | 这是布尔博士的车吗 |
[13:31] | Yeah, he lent it to me. | 是的 他借给我了 |
[13:37] | You okay? | 你还好吗 |
[13:40] | I’m okay. | 我很好 |
[13:42] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[13:43] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[13:45] | I’m okay. | 我还好 |
[14:00] | Do we have an ETA on when our new client | 有人知道我们的新客户和他孩子 |
[14:02] | and his son are coming back? | 估计什么时候会回来吗 |
[14:05] | Uh, slight complication. | 情况有点小复杂 |
[14:06] | Jonathan went to Andrew’s school and discovered he wasn’t there. | 乔纳森去了安德鲁的学校 但是他不在 |
[14:10] | What are we doing to find him? | 你们怎么处理的 |
[14:11] | We’ve got Danny out in the field | 丹尼去现场了 |
[14:13] | and Taylor trying to track his cell phone. | 泰勒在试着追踪他的手机 |
[14:15] | Just found him. Or, at least, his phone. | 正好找到他了 至少是找到了他的手机 |
[14:17] | He’s in a building at 238 West 10th Street. | 他在西区十街238号里 |
[14:20] | Wait a second. Isn’t that the 55th Precinct? | 等等 那不是五十五区吗 |
[14:23] | What in the world is he doing | 他在五十五区 |
[14:24] | at the 55th Precinct? | 干什么 |
[14:25] | You think maybe they brought him in for questioning? | 他是被抓去审问了吗 |
[14:27] | Or he turned himself in. | 或者是他自首了 |
[14:31] | Okay, Marissa, call the precinct. | 玛丽莎 打给警区 |
[14:32] | Tell them that we are representing Andrew | 告诉他们我们现在是安德鲁的代理 |
[14:34] | and not to take a statement from him | 我们正在赶过去 |
[14:36] | until counsel is present, | 在我们到现场之前 |
[14:38] | – and that we are on our way. – Will do. | – 请不要录取他的口供 – 好的 |
[14:42] | Sorry to bother you, Officer, but I’m looking for | 打扰了 警官 我找一个 |
[14:44] | a 16-year-old named Andrew Zbyszek. | 十六岁的男孩 安德鲁·斯拜谢克 |
[14:47] | I was led to believe he might be here. | 我想他应该在这里 |
[14:48] | I’m his attorney. | 我是他的代理律师 |
[14:49] | Uh, actually, he’s, uh, in with a detective at the moment. | 他现在正和一个警探在一起 |
[14:52] | There must be some mistake. Our office called. | 一定有哪里搞错了 我们部门打了电话 |
[14:54] | Asked you not to interview the boy, | 要求你们不要审问那个男孩 |
[14:56] | not to take his statement, | 不要录取他的口供 |
[14:58] | that we were his counsel and we were on our way. | 我们说了我们是他的法律顾问 而且就要到了 |
[15:00] | Apparently, he waived his right to counsel. | 他显然放弃了找律师的权利 |
[15:02] | Waived his right to counsel? He’s 16. | 放弃了找律师的权利 他才十六岁 |
[15:09] | Andrew Zbyszek? | 你是安德鲁·斯拜谢克吗 |
[15:11] | Yes, sir. | 是的 |
[15:12] | My name’s Dr. Jason Bull. | 我是杰森·布尔博士 |
[15:15] | This is Benjamin Colón. | 这是本杰明·科隆 |
[15:17] | Your dad… your uncle… | 你的父亲… 你叔叔 |
[15:20] | uh, asked us to help you. | 让我们来帮你 |
[15:24] | Mr. Colón is an attorney | 科隆先生是一名法律顾问 |
[15:26] | and I am a kind of legal strategist. | 我类似于一名法律策略师 |
[15:29] | So he knows I’m here… my uncle? | 我叔叔知道我在这里了吗 |
[15:32] | You didn’t want him to? | 你不想让他知道吗 |
[15:35] | I knew he was getting ready to turn himself in. | 我知道他打算自首 |
[15:39] | Tell them he did it. | 告诉警察是他杀的人 |
[15:41] | I couldn’t let him do that. | 我不能让他那么做 |
[15:43] | So you came over here | 所以你就来警察局 |
[15:44] | to the police station to tell them you did it. | 告诉他们是你干的 |
[15:46] | – ‘Cause I did. – And they’ve already | – 因为确实是我干的 – 他们已经 |
[15:48] | taken your statement? | 录取了你的口供了吗 |
[15:49] | I told them what happened. | 我告诉了他们事情的经过 |
[15:51] | That he had nothing to do with it. | 告诉了他们 他跟这件事无关 |
[15:53] | That he tried to stop me. | 他试图拦住我 |
[15:55] | You tell them it was an accident? | 你说这是一场意外了吗 |
[15:56] | I didn’t push him by accident. | 我又不是不小心推到他的 |
[15:59] | And I told them that. | 我也告诉了他们这点 |
[16:00] | But… yeah, that gate opening… | 但是… 那扇门开了… |
[16:05] | that was an accident. | 那是个意外 |
[16:07] | And I told them that, too. | 这点我也告诉了他们 |
[16:10] | But the man’s dead and I did it. | 但他确实死了 也确实是我推的 |
[16:14] | And you said that as well. | 这点你也说了 |
[16:20] | So what happens now? I keep asking the police, | 所以接下来会怎么样 我一直在问警察 |
[16:23] | and they keep telling me to wait. | 但他们一直告诉我等着就好 |
[16:24] | Well, unfortunately, everything you just told them | 不幸的是 你告诉他们的这一切 |
[16:28] | sounds like a confession, | 听起来像是供认 |
[16:30] | which means it’s admissible in court. | 这就意味着在法庭上这些是有效的 |
[16:32] | We’re gonna have to go to court? | 我们还得上法庭吗 |
[16:34] | Oh, yeah. | 没想到吧 |
[16:35] | If we want to keep you out of jail. | 如果你不想坐牢的话 |
[16:37] | But first we have to get you out of here. | 但首先我们要带你离开这里 |
[16:39] | – Arrange a bail hearing. – And just so we’re clear, | – 举行一场保释听证会 – 我还要说明一下 |
[16:42] | moving forward, anyone asks you a question… | 以后不管谁问你问题 |
[16:44] | the police, anyone… | 哪怕是警察 任何人问你 |
[16:46] | you tell them to come and talk to one of us, okay? | 你都让他们来问我们俩中的一个 明白了吗 |
[16:49] | Sure. | 明白了 |
[16:53] | And just so you know… | 还有 我希望你知道 |
[16:56] | I’ve been thinking about it a lot… | 我想了很多… |
[16:59] | and I’m okay if they need to kill me. | 但我可以接受死刑 |
[17:03] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[17:05] | If someone needs to pay for the doctor dying… | 如果有人得为医生的死付出代价 |
[17:09] | …I’m okay with it being me. | 我愿意为我的行为负责 |
[17:12] | Death, people dying… | 好像最近不管我在哪 |
[17:14] | it’s kind of everywhere I’ve been looking lately. | 我身边都有人死去 |
[17:17] | So if it’s supposed to happen, it’s okay. | 所以如果我应该被处死 没关系 |
[17:20] | I’d just… | 我只是… |
[17:22] | I’d kind of like to get it over with. | 我很愿意赶紧熬过去 |
[17:33] | Knock knock knock. | 我们来了 |
[17:34] | Chunk. | 特朗科 |
[17:35] | This is Andrew Zbyszek. | 这是安德鲁·斯拜谢克 |
[17:36] | Andrew, this is Chunk Palmer. | 安德鲁 这是特朗科·帕默 |
[17:40] | He is gonna tell you everything you need to know | 他会教你明天在法庭上 |
[17:42] | about how to comport yourself in court tomorrow. | 你应该如何表现 |
[17:44] | Andrew. | 安德鲁 |
[17:48] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[17:49] | Uh, you want to have a seat? | 你想坐着吗 |
[17:57] | Now, most people believe that this is the hot seat. | 大部分人认为这是注意力的焦点 |
[18:02] | And it is. | 事实也如此 |
[18:04] | But… | 但是 |
[18:05] | why don’t you sit over there. | 请坐到那里去 |
[18:07] | Go ahead. | 去吧 |
[18:17] | You can certainly see me here, right? | 你肯定是可以看见我坐在这里的 是吧 |
[18:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[18:21] | But where else can you see? | 你还能看到什么地方呢 |
[18:35] | This is where you’ll be sitting. | 这就是你要坐的地方 |
[18:38] | The defense table. | 辩护席 |
[18:41] | Now, look at the witness box. | 现在 看证人席 |
[18:45] | And now look at me. | 再看我 |
[18:48] | When that jury isn’t looking at the witness, | 陪审团不在看证人的时候 |
[18:50] | they’re turning and looking right here at you. | 他们就在看着你 |
[18:53] | So even when you’re not testifying, | 所以哪怕你没有在做证词 |
[18:56] | you’re always on. | 你也要时刻注意自己的举止 |
[18:59] | You get that? | 明白吗 |
[19:03] | That’s all you got for me? | 你就这样回答我吗 |
[19:12] | Look, | 听着 |
[19:13] | I know that you’ve been through a lot | 我知道你在过去的一个月里 |
[19:15] | over the past month or so. | 经历了不少 |
[19:17] | But if you’re not gonna act like you give a damn | 但如果你表现的好像 |
[19:19] | about what’s happening to you, I promise you, | 完全不在乎自己会怎么样 我保证 |
[19:21] | the jury’s not gonna give a damn either. | 陪审团也不会在乎 |
[19:23] | – Okay. – No. | – 好的 – 不 |
[19:24] | It’s not okay. | 这不行 |
[19:25] | I-Is this what you want? | 你难道希望这样吗 |
[19:27] | To spend the rest of your life behind bars? | 在牢里度过余生 |
[19:31] | Is this what your late mother would want for you? | 这会是你去世的母亲希望你过的生活吗 |
[19:34] | Andrew, everything that I’ve read, | 安德鲁 根据我看的资料 |
[19:36] | everything that I’ve been told… | 听到的你的故事 |
[19:38] | you did nothing to deserve any of this. | 你完全不应该出现在这的 |
[19:41] | I laughed. | 我当时笑了 |
[19:45] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[19:46] | I laughed. | 我当时笑了 |
[19:49] | I don’t think anyone heard me. | 应该没人听见 |
[19:51] | But I was so mad at this guy… the doctor… | 但我真的很生他的气 那个医生 |
[19:55] | so mad he wouldn’t talk to me. | 他一直不理我 |
[19:57] | So I grabbed him, I pushed him. | 所以我就扯过他 推了一把 |
[20:00] | He hits into that fence, bounces into it. | 他撞到了围栏 然后弹到里面去了 |
[20:04] | It was like a cartoon. | 就像卡通片里一样 |
[20:06] | He was there and then he wasn’t. | 前一秒还在那里 下一秒就消失了 |
[20:11] | And I laughed. | 然后我笑了 |
[20:14] | And then I started to realize what really happened. | 然后我才意识到发生了什么 |
[20:17] | So I walked to the edge and looked down. | 所以我走到洞边往下看 |
[20:20] | And it was so dark… | 里面那么黑 |
[20:23] | so deep. | 那么深 |
[20:27] | I could see him at the bottom. | 我可以看见他摔在洞底 |
[20:32] | His arms and legs pointed in the craziest directions. | 胳膊和腿扭曲得不成样子 |
[20:36] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[20:40] | You laughed. | 你当时笑了 |
[20:43] | And then you stopped. | 但接下来你停下了 |
[20:46] | Andrew, | 安德鲁 |
[20:47] | you did not kill him. | 你没有杀他 |
[20:49] | You had no way of knowing that that gate was gonna open. | 你完全不知道那个门会开的 |
[20:53] | It’s still my fault. | 但这还是我的错啊 |
[20:54] | No. It isn’t. | 不 不是的 |
[20:58] | And I don’t care about how mad you were. | 我不在乎你当时有多生气 |
[21:00] | And I don’t care that you laughed. | 也不在乎你当时笑了 |
[21:04] | Regretting things… | 为一件事感到遗憾 |
[21:07] | doesn’t make you guilty of causing them. | 不意味着你导致了它的发生 |
[21:11] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[21:13] | This is something I know quite a bit about. | 这点我很清楚 |
[21:18] | Mr. Prosecutor, call your next witness, please. | 检察官 请传唤下一位证人 |
[21:21] | The People would like to call Jonathan Zbyszek to the stand. | 我们想要传唤乔纳森·斯拜谢克出庭作证 |
[21:28] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[21:31] | Jonathan Zbyszek is the defendant’s uncle, | 乔纳森·斯拜谢克是被告的叔叔 |
[21:33] | and is in the process of becoming his adoptive father. | 并且他即将成为被告的养父 |
[21:36] | Please don’t allow this, Your Honor. | 请您别同意 法官大人 |
[21:38] | He was a witness. | 他是证人 |
[21:40] | In fact, he was the only witness. | 事实上 他是唯一的目击证人 |
[21:42] | I’m not unsympathetic, | 我并非毫无同情心 |
[21:43] | but I need Mr. Zbyszek to take the stand. | 但我同意斯拜谢克先生出庭作证 |
[21:46] | Mr. Zbyszek, on the night in question, | 斯拜谢克先生 在事发当晚 |
[21:49] | did you have any physical contact | 你是否与死者弗洛德·韦伯医生 |
[21:50] | with the deceased, Dr. Floyd Weber? | 有过肢体接触 |
[21:53] | Physical contact? No. | 肢体接触吗 没有 |
[21:55] | Well, did you see anyone else | 那你是否看见 |
[21:56] | have any physical contact with Dr. Weber? | 其他人与韦伯医生有过肢体接触呢 |
[22:00] | Yes. | 是 |
[22:01] | Can you identify him for us? | 你能帮我们指认此人吗 |
[22:05] | It was my sister’s son. | 是我妹妹的儿子 |
[22:07] | My nephew, Andrew. | 我的侄子 安德鲁 |
[22:10] | Can you describe the physical contact to me? | 你能描述一下他们的肢体接触吗 |
[22:14] | He… pushed him. | 他… 推了他 |
[22:17] | Now, can you describe the push? | 现在 你能描述一下他推的动作吗 |
[22:19] | The shove? | 怎么推的 |
[22:21] | It-it… it was just a shove. | 他… 他就是推了一把 |
[22:23] | Are you sure? With just one arm? | 你确定吗 只用一只手吗 |
[22:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[22:28] | It happened pretty quick. | 事情发生得太快了 |
[22:30] | But, yeah, I’m pretty sure. | 但是 我很确定 |
[22:32] | Could he have used two arms? | 他有可能是两只手一起推的吗 |
[22:35] | It’s possible. | 有可能 |
[22:36] | I-I was kind of behind him. | 当时我算是在他身后 |
[22:38] | I mean… | 我是说… |
[22:40] | I can’t be sure. | 我无法确定 |
[22:42] | Because your nephew described it to the police as, quote: | 因为你的侄子向警方描述说 引用原话 |
[22:46] | “I kind of just really pushed him. | “我似乎真的推了他 |
[22:48] | “Kind of just checked him, | “就像在曲棍球比赛中会做的那样 |
[22:50] | like you would in a hockey game.” | 推倒了他” |
[22:52] | Okay. If that’s what he said. | 好吧 如果他是这么说的话 |
[22:54] | When you check someone, you use two arms, | 如果你想要阻碍对方 你要用到两只手 |
[22:56] | kind of cross your arms across your chest | 双臂交叉放在胸前 |
[22:58] | and come at the person. | 再冲向对方 |
[22:59] | Hockey’s not really my game. | 我并不了解曲棍球 |
[23:01] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[23:02] | Back to the night in question. | 回到事发当晚 |
[23:05] | So what do you think was the purpose of that shove? | 你认为那一推的目的是什么 |
[23:08] | Purpose? | 目的 |
[23:10] | Try to get the man’s attention, | 是想引起对方的注意 |
[23:12] | to-to try to engage him. | 想让他参与交谈 |
[23:16] | With the court’s permission, we’d like to play a video | 在法庭的允许下 我们想要播放一个 |
[23:18] | of the defendant playing hockey for his school. | 被告在学校打曲棍球的视频 |
[23:20] | Objection! Relevance? | 反对 这和本案有关系吗 |
[23:22] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[23:23] | I think it’s very clear that this case hinges on intent. | 我认为本案关键显然在于被告的意图 |
[23:27] | What was the young man’s | 在这个年轻人 |
[23:29] | intent when he became physical with the doctor? | 与医生进行肢体接触时 他究竟意欲何为 |
[23:32] | And I believe this tape will take us a long way | 另外 我相信这个录像带将 |
[23:35] | towards making that intention clear. | 帮助我们弄清楚这点 |
[23:38] | Mr. Colon, | 科隆先生 |
[23:39] | you’re going to have a chance to review the tape | 你待会可以在证人面前 |
[23:41] | with the witness on cross. | 再次播放视频 |
[23:44] | I’m going to allow it. | 我同意播放 |
[23:47] | Is this Andrew, your nephew? | 这是你的侄子安德鲁吗 |
[23:50] | Yes, number 99. | 是的 第九十九号 |
[23:51] | That’s Andrew. | 那是安德鲁 |
[24:03] | So what do you think | 所以你认为 |
[24:04] | was the purpose of that shove? | 那一推的目的是什么 |
[24:06] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[24:08] | – I mean, it’s a game. – Objection. | – 我是说 这是个比赛 – 反对 |
[24:10] | – Calls for speculation. – Are you aware | – 询问诱导证人进行推测 – 你知道 |
[24:12] | the opposing player lost four teeth, broke three ribs | 他的对手掉了四颗牙齿 断了三根肋骨 |
[24:16] | – and broke his collarbone? – Objection! | – 还摔断了他的锁骨吗 – 反对 |
[24:17] | – He is badgering the witness. – Do you think your nephew | – 他在干扰证人 – 你认为你的侄子 |
[24:20] | was trying to get that other player’s attention? | 是想要引起其他球员的注意吗 |
[24:21] | – Trying to draw a comparison between… – Mr. Maxwell! | – 试图将一个运动项目和一个悲剧的事故… – 马克韦先生 |
[24:23] | …an athletic event and a tragic accident! | … 进行比较 |
[24:24] | – To get him to engage?! – Mr. Maxwell! | – 是想和他交谈吗 – 马克韦先生 |
[24:27] | My apologies, Your Honor. | 我很抱歉 法官大人 |
[24:29] | You’re on notice, Mr. Maxwell. | 我要告知你 马克韦先生 |
[24:31] | Objection sustained. | 反对有效 |
[24:32] | The jury will disregard the testimony | 陪审团可以无视这个证词 |
[24:34] | as it relates to the hockey tape footage. | 因为它和曲棍球比赛录像视频相关 |
[24:39] | And are they? Are they disregarding it? | 那他们会吗 他们无视了吗 |
[24:41] | Well, I can only assume the jury didn’t hear her. | 我只能假设陪审团没有听见她的话 |
[24:44] | We’re staring at nine red. | 我们面对的是九个反对者 |
[24:51] | The defense will call | 辩方传唤 |
[24:53] | its first witness. | 第一个证人 |
[24:54] | The defense would like to call Brenda Novack to the stand. | 我们想要传唤布伦达·诺瓦克出庭作证 |
[24:58] | Ms. Novack, | 诺瓦克女士 |
[24:59] | thank you for making yourself | 感谢你今天 |
[25:01] | available to testify today. | 能够出庭作证 |
[25:03] | Now, you were with Dr. Weber for how long? | 你和韦伯医生共事多久了 |
[25:06] | I was his surgical coordinator for six years. | 我当他的外科协调员已经六年了 |
[25:09] | He hired me right out of school. | 我刚毕业他就雇了我 |
[25:11] | I’m guessing you’re still coming to grips with his death. | 我猜你还没有从他的死亡中走出来 |
[25:14] | I am. | 是的 |
[25:15] | So take me through this. | 让我来引导你 |
[25:17] | As I understand it, | 据我所知 |
[25:19] | cancer patients receive either one | 癌症患者 |
[25:22] | or a combination of therapies or protocols | 可以选择接受 |
[25:25] | that are thought to be conventional. | 一种或多种传统治疗方案 |
[25:27] | Right? Hospitals have, uh, approved of them. | 对吗 医院会允许他们这么做 |
[25:30] | Insurance companies have signed off on them. | 保险公司会和他们签合同 |
[25:32] | But occasionally, a doctor may want | 但有时 医生可能会 |
[25:35] | to try something experimental, right? | 想要尝试一些实验性的东西 对吗 |
[25:37] | And in that case, they would need to get | 在这种情况下 他们需要从患者那取得 |
[25:39] | what is known as an informed consent from the patient. | 所谓的知情同意书 |
[25:42] | – Am I right? – Yes. | – 我说的对吗 – 对 |
[25:44] | And this informed consent involves | 这份知情同意书包括 |
[25:46] | signing a rather lengthy set of documents, | 在相当长的一组文件中签字 |
[25:49] | which insures the patient knows | 来确保患者知道 |
[25:50] | – exactly what they’re getting into. – That’s right. | – 他们会面临什么 – 对 |
[25:53] | Now, you’re normally there for that… | 而你通常会负责这一块… |
[25:55] | for the signing and explanation of the informed consent. | 陪同签字和向他们解释知情同意书 |
[25:59] | I mean, these things can run 40 or 50 pages, | 我的意思是 这些文件长达四十或五十页 |
[26:01] | and you’re there to make sure if the patient has any questions… | 而你会在那确认患者是否有任何疑问… |
[26:05] | And to make sure that every single page | 并且确保每一页 |
[26:07] | that requires a signature gets one. | 都有患者的签名 |
[26:09] | But on this occasion, when it came time | 但这次 |
[26:11] | for Ms. Zbyszek to sign and review the paperwork, | 当斯拜谢克女士在检查文件和签字时 |
[26:14] | you weren’t there, right? | 你并不在 是吗 |
[26:15] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[26:17] | Now, why do you think that was? | 你觉得这是为什么呢 |
[26:18] | I was told that | 医生告诉我说 |
[26:20] | the idea for therapy came up spontaneously | 治疗的想法是病人自己提出的 |
[26:23] | and that once the decision was made, | 并且在做出决定后 |
[26:25] | the patient was anxious to sign and begin. | 患者十分迫切地签了字并开始治疗 |
[26:29] | I’d know the sound of that “Aha” Anywhere. | 我在任何地方都能听到”啊哈”的声音 |
[26:32] | Prepare for liftoff. | 准备胜诉 |
[26:33] | You don’t think it was because | 你难道不认为这是因为 |
[26:35] | the doctor knew if you were there | 医生知道如果你在的话 |
[26:37] | that you would have felt compelled to tell the patient | 你会觉得应该告诉病人 |
[26:41] | that the drug she had given permission | 她正要允许用在 |
[26:43] | to be used on her had never been used | 她身上的药物 在她之前 |
[26:46] | on another human being before? | 从未在另一个人类身上使用过 |
[26:47] | Objection. | 反对 |
[26:49] | Asked and answered. No foundation. | 这是问答环节 提问没有根据 |
[26:51] | Calls for speculation. Relevance. | 询问诱导证人进行推测 与本案无关 |
[26:52] | The list goes on and on. | 还有许多类似的问题 |
[26:53] | There you go. Guy’s like a Swiss watch. | 又来了 他辩护得很顺利 |
[26:56] | I do apologize, Your Honor. | 我很抱歉 法官大人 |
[26:58] | If you’ll allow me, | 如果你同意的话 |
[26:59] | I’ll withdraw the question. As a matter of fact, | 我将撤回提问 事实上 |
[27:01] | I have no more questions | 我现在对此证人 |
[27:03] | for this witness at the present time. | 没有其他问题了 |
[27:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[27:07] | The man is smooth. | 老滑头 |
[27:09] | Mr. Maxwell, your witness. | 马克韦先生开始你的证人询问 |
[27:12] | Ms. Novack, | 诺瓦克女士 |
[27:13] | when a patient is staring at a terminal diagnosis, | 当一位病人被诊断为末期 |
[27:16] | and they are still at the hospital, | 而他们还在住院时 |
[27:18] | how many times in a given day might a doctor meet with them? | 一天之中医生会去看他们几次呢 |
[27:21] | It varies. | 次数并不固定 |
[27:22] | He could visit once, or he could visit several times. | 他可以看望一次 也可以看几次 |
[27:25] | Several times. | 几次 |
[27:27] | And what obligation does the doctor have, | 如果一个病人仍然可以 |
[27:29] | assuming the patient is still making | 为自己的事情做决定 |
[27:31] | all of their own decisions, | 那么他的医生难道有义务 |
[27:32] | to inform, say, one’s brother, one’s minor son, | 把与病人有关的实验的详情 |
[27:36] | of the particulars involving a suggested experimental protocol? | 告知他的兄弟和小儿子吗 |
[27:40] | To the best of my knowledge, the doctor is under | 在我的认知里 |
[27:42] | no such obligation. | 医生没有这样做的义务 |
[27:44] | So, is it outside the realm of possibility | 所以 有没有这样的可能 |
[27:46] | that Dr. Weber may have returned to Ms. Zbyszek’s room | 韦伯医生返回了斯拜谢克女士的房间 |
[27:50] | and explained to her she’d be the first to try | 告诉她 她会成为第一个实验 |
[27:52] | this new protocol, | 这种新药的人 |
[27:54] | and she simply never shared this with her son | 但她并没有把这件事告诉儿子 |
[27:57] | – or brother? – Objection, Your Honor. | – 或她哥哥呢 – 反对 审判长 |
[27:59] | No foundation. Calls for speculation. | 无凭无据 这是要求证人做出推测 |
[28:02] | Relevance. | 无中生有 |
[28:03] | The list goes on and on. | 我还能继续说下去 |
[28:05] | – Touche. – Objection sustained. | – 一针见血 – 反对有效 |
[28:07] | Fine. I will withdraw the question, Your Honor. | 好吧 我收回我的问题 审判长 |
[28:10] | No further questions at this time. | 本次的询问结束了 |
[28:12] | Oh, it doesn’t matter. | 问不问都不要紧了 |
[28:13] | A.D.A.’s actually made a good point. | 小子说得还挺有道理 |
[28:15] | The jury gods giveth and the jury gods taketh away. | 陪审团之神们给予了我们机会 又把它夺走了 |
[28:20] | Felt like we had a pretty good day today. | 我觉得今天的审判进行的不错 |
[28:22] | Yeah, we’re definitely making progress. | 我们确实有所进展 |
[28:27] | I think we’re at the point where it would be extremely valuable | 我认为该让陪审团直接听你的证词了 |
[28:31] | for the jury to hear directly from you. | 这会非常有用 |
[28:33] | At the end of the day, this is all about intent, | 说到底 一切的焦点落在了动机之上 |
[28:35] | all about what you were trying to do when you pushed that man. | 当你推那个男人的时候 你究竟想做什么 |
[28:39] | And the only person who can speak accurately to that | 唯一一个可以对此进行准确作证的人 |
[28:43] | is you. | 是你 |
[28:45] | On the other hand, there is no point | 但是 如果你仍然 |
[28:48] | putting you on the stand | 认为自己有罪的话 |
[28:49] | if you’re still convinced you’re guilty. | 让你上就毫无意义了 |
[28:52] | It’s all right. | 没关系的 |
[28:55] | Let me know in the morning. | 明早再告诉我你的决定吧 |
[29:05] | You’re awfully quiet. | 你出奇的沉默啊 |
[29:07] | You’re letting the fact that the kid won’t commit | 那孩子估计是不会作证了 |
[29:10] | to testifying get you down? | 你还在担心这个吗 |
[29:11] | Not really. | 不是的 |
[29:13] | It’d be nice, but… | 他能作证当然好 但是… |
[29:15] | Well, then, what’s going on in that brain of yours? | 那你的小脑袋在烦恼什么 |
[29:18] | What’s your read on the jury? | 你觉得陪审团是怎么想的 |
[29:22] | Marissa will tell you we’re almost dead even, | 玛丽莎会告诉你我们死定了 |
[29:24] | but I don’t buy it. | 但我不这么想 |
[29:26] | I think they’re all slippery jurors, | 我觉得陪审员们的看法是游移不定的 |
[29:29] | and they’re gonna get to that deliberation room, | 他们最后一定会走进陪审团商定室 |
[29:31] | and because neither side has really proven anything, | 因为两边都没能够证明什么 |
[29:35] | and the only absolute fact is that a man is dead… | 唯一的绝对事实只有那个男人死了 |
[29:39] | …that boy’s gonna end up spending some time behind bars. | …那个孩子恐怕要在监狱里呆上一段时间 |
[29:46] | It’s pretty fatalistic. | 这算是宿命吧 |
[29:49] | Just calling it as I see it. | 只是说说我的看法而已 |
[29:51] | But here’s the big question: | 但有一个大问题 |
[29:54] | Why’d he do it? | 他为什么要这么做 |
[29:56] | Doctor, I mean. | 我是说那个医生 |
[29:57] | Why would a professional, | 为什么一个专业的 |
[30:00] | a man of some repute, risk his reputation, | 名声在外的医生 会不顾他的声誉 |
[30:03] | his license, his everything | 他的医生资格 他的一切 |
[30:06] | to trick a patient into trying a drug | 来诱骗一个病人尝试一种 |
[30:08] | that hasn’t even been proven to work | 除了在实验室的小白鼠 |
[30:09] | on anyone other than a lab rat? Why? | 还没在任何人身上被证明有效的药 为什么 |
[30:12] | And trust me, that is the kind of question someone’s gonna ask | 相信我 在商定室里 一定会有人问出 |
[30:15] | in that jury room, and when no one can answer it, | 和此相同的问题 然而没有人能够回答 |
[30:17] | the jury is going to embrace the A.D.A.’s thesis, | 陪审团也许会接受对方的说法 |
[30:19] | which is, he did tell her, and she just never mentioned it | 也就是说 他确实告诉了她 她只是没有 |
[30:22] | to anyone else. | 向其他人提起过 |
[30:24] | And then this becomes a case about a… | 然后这就变成了这样一件案子 |
[30:27] | …grieving kid wanting someone to pay | 一个悲伤欲绝的孩子 |
[30:30] | for his mother’s death. | 想要有人为他母亲的死付出代价 |
[30:35] | And on that happy note, | 和你聊天真开心 |
[30:37] | see you in the morning, sir. | 明早见 长官 |
[30:40] | Don’t you “Sir” Me. | 不要叫我”长官” |
[30:42] | Yes, sir. | 好的 长官 |
[30:59] | Hello, stranger. | 你好 陌生人 |
[31:01] | What brings you back to Dodge? | 你怎么回来了 |
[31:03] | Well, apparently, Taylor is looking for me. | 显然 泰勒在找我 |
[31:08] | You’re working some peculiar hours. | 你这么晚了还在工作 |
[31:10] | Yeah. Fatherhood. | 当爹的嘛 |
[31:12] | You’ll see. | 你会明白的 |
[31:15] | my daughter hasn’t been feeling well. | 我女儿这几天不太好 |
[31:17] | She’s been going through something, | 她正经历着某些事情 |
[31:19] | so she’s been, uh, at my house for the past few days. | 所以她 这几天都住在我那 |
[31:23] | But, um, I’ll take her back to her dorm on Sunday. | 但是 周日我就会送她回宿舍的 |
[31:26] | Well, give her my best. | 给她带去我的祝福 |
[31:28] | Tell her I hope she feels better. | 告诉她我希望她能赶快好起来 |
[31:29] | Will do. Oh. | 我会的 |
[31:31] | How goes court? | 庭审怎么样了 |
[31:33] | Ah, it goes. | 审着呢 |
[31:36] | Maybe not our way, but… it goes. | 也许和我们的期望不同 但还审着呢 |
[31:39] | – Sorry about that. – Well, haven’t you heard? | – 我很抱歉 – 没听说吗 |
[31:41] | Justice really is blind. | 司法是盲目的 |
[31:44] | So I’m climbing down | 所以我不放过 |
[31:46] | every rabbit hole I can find, | 任何一个细节的搜查 |
[31:47] | and I start researching the company | 最后我调查起了那家 |
[31:49] | that actually manufactures the drug that was tested | 实际上负责制造在安德鲁妈妈身上测试的 |
[31:51] | on Andrew’s mother, and guess whose name came up | 那种药的公司 猜猜谁的名字 |
[31:54] | on the corporate website | 出现在了公司网站上面 |
[31:56] | as a “Consultant to the company.” | 作为”公司顾问”呢 |
[32:00] | The late Dr. Weber. | 过世的韦伯医生 |
[32:02] | Curious, right? | 令人好奇极了 不是吗 |
[32:03] | So now I really want to go to town. | 我特别想要顺着这条线搜索下去 |
[32:04] | I want to find out what being a consultant means. | 我想要知道这个顾问身份意味着什么 |
[32:07] | So I hack into the corporate server, | 所以我黑进了公司的服务器 |
[32:09] | and I find Dr. Weber’s employment agreement. | 我发现了韦伯医生的雇佣协议 |
[32:12] | Basically, they hired him to procure terminal patients | 简单来说 他们雇他 就是为了在那些 |
[32:15] | on whom to test their drug. | 晚期病人身上实验他们的药 |
[32:18] | Okay. | 我懂了 |
[32:19] | It’s morbid. | 这很不人道 |
[32:21] | But… I get it. | 但我能理解 |
[32:23] | You have to test it on people with the disease, | 你必须在人的身上测试这种药 |
[32:25] | and the only people willing to risk it | 而唯一愿意承担风险去尝试的人 |
[32:27] | are gonna be people staring at a certain death. | 是那些生命即将走到尽头的人 |
[32:30] | Wait. I haven’t told you the best part. | 等等 我还没讲到最精彩的部分呢 |
[32:35] | They paid him half a million dollars, | 他们付给了他五十万美元 |
[32:37] | in advance, | 预先支付 |
[32:38] | and gave him two years. | 并给了他两年的时间 |
[32:40] | And apparently, over the course of these two years, | 显然 在过去的两年里 |
[32:43] | he approached 17 other people. | 他接近了另外十七个病人 |
[32:45] | But once he told them about the possible side effects | 可每当他把可能的副作用以及 |
[32:48] | and the fact that it had never been tested | 这种药还没做过 |
[32:50] | on any human beings before, they all said no. | 人体试验时 他们全都拒绝了 |
[32:54] | And here’s where it gets really interesting. | 这样的话 接下来的事就很有趣了 |
[32:56] | When he got the go-ahead from Andrew’s mother, | 当他从安德鲁的母亲那里得到实验许可时 |
[32:58] | there was only a week left to his agreement. | 他履行合约的期限就只剩下一周了 |
[33:03] | One more thing. | 还有一件事 |
[33:05] | If he had been unable to procure anyone on whom to test the drug, | 如果他没能成功在任何人身上试验这种药 |
[33:08] | he would have had to pay back the $500,000. | 他就必须偿还那五十万美元 |
[33:17] | Dr. Bull, aren’t you gonna say anything? | 布尔博士 你不想说些什么吗 |
[33:19] | Yabba Dabba Doo. | 有点意思 |
[33:25] | The defense would like to call Dr. Bryce Winters to the stand. | 辩护人请求让布莱斯·温特斯博士作证发言 |
[33:29] | Dr. Winters, | 温特斯博士 |
[33:30] | you are the chief executive officer | 你是X2XST药物公司的 |
[33:33] | of X2XST Pharmaceuticals? | 总执行官 对吗 |
[33:36] | Yes. And by the way, the company’s name is pronounced | 是的 顺带一提 公司的名字应该读成 |
[33:39] | “X to exist.” | 这样 |
[33:43] | Well, thank you for clearing that up. | 感谢你的解释 |
[33:45] | Now, can you please explain what your company does? | 现在能否请你说明一下 你们的公司是做什么的 |
[33:49] | We are a pharmaceutical incubator. | 我们是一家药物孵化公司 |
[33:51] | Our mission is to develop and ultimately market | 我们的宗旨是 研发并最终上市售卖 |
[33:54] | cutting-edge medicines. | 最前沿的药物 |
[33:55] | And, of course, these drugs go through rigorous testing, | 当然 这些药物需要经过严格的测试 |
[33:58] | first on animals and then on humans. | 首先在动物身上 然后是人类 |
[34:01] | So when you finally got permission | 所以当你终于得到许可 |
[34:02] | to test your new cancer drug on humans, | 能够在人的身上测试你的新型抗癌药时 |
[34:05] | how did you go about recruiting them? | 你是怎样说服他们成为实验对象的呢 |
[34:07] | We contract with doctors all over the country | 我们和全国各地的医生签订合约 |
[34:09] | to help us find patients who fit the criteria | 让他们帮我们寻找符合条件的 |
[34:12] | and might be interested. | 对此感兴趣的病人 |
[34:13] | Doctors like the late Dr. Weber? | 像已逝的韦伯医生一样的医生吗 |
[34:15] | Yes. Dr. Weber was | 是的 韦伯医生 |
[34:17] | one of several consultants we had agreements with. | 是和我们签有合约的其中一位顾问 |
[34:20] | So, I take it, it wasn’t easy | 我猜 找人来 |
[34:22] | to find subjects upon whom to test | 试用这种药物 |
[34:24] | this particular drug, am I right? | 应该不是件容易的事吧 |
[34:26] | It’s been a struggle. | 确实挺难的 |
[34:28] | While our drug has shown great promise | 尽管我们的药品在前期 |
[34:29] | in its early testing on small lab animals, | 小型实验室动物试验中表现良好 |
[34:32] | the combination of a modest cure rate of 16% | 偏低的16%的治愈率 |
[34:35] | coupled with some daunting side effects… | 加之些许吓人的副作用 |
[34:37] | – Like? – In rats, | – 例如 – 老鼠实验中 |
[34:38] | we’ve seen hallucinations, periods of intense nausea, | 我们观察到幻觉 多发强烈恶心 |
[34:41] | muscle spasms. | 以及肌肉痉挛 |
[34:42] | As I’m sure you can imagine, once you share | 我很确定你能想象到 |
[34:44] | that kind of data with potential candidates, | 一旦你给潜在申请者看这样的数据 |
[34:47] | the conversation becomes much more challenging. | 要想再说服对方就困难多了 |
[34:49] | And how did it work with you and Dr. Weber? | 那么你和韦伯医生的合作进行得如何呢 |
[34:52] | What was the nature of your agreement with him? | 你跟他的协议是什么性质的 |
[34:55] | It was a two-year agreement. | 是一个两年期的协议 |
[34:56] | He was paid half a million dollars. | 我们支付给他五十万美元 |
[34:58] | And what if, in that two years, | 如果 两年后 |
[34:59] | he was unable to find a suitable candidate? | 他没能找到合适的人选呢 |
[35:01] | Well, then he would return the money. | 那么他就得把钱退回来 |
[35:03] | And when he was finally able to convince Andrew’s mother | 当他最终说服安德鲁的母亲 |
[35:06] | to volunteer to try the new drug, | 自愿参与试用新药时 |
[35:09] | how many days were left on his contract? | 离合约到期还有多少天呢 |
[35:11] | I believe there were four days. | 应该还有四天 |
[35:16] | Four days. | 四天 |
[35:18] | Four days before he would have had to pay back | 还有四天 他就必须 |
[35:21] | half a million dollars. | 退还五十万美金了 |
[35:23] | I may be off by a day or two, | 也许有一两天的偏差 |
[35:24] | but that’s my recollection. | 但我的回忆是这样的 |
[35:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[35:29] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官阁下 |
[35:33] | Actually, I have one more. | 其实我还有个问题 |
[35:37] | If my client’s mother was the first person to be tested | 如果我委托人的母亲是第一例 |
[35:39] | with this new drug, does that mean | 人体试验 这是否意味着 |
[35:42] | that all the other doctors you had contracted with | 其他和你签了合同的医生 |
[35:45] | had to give you back however much it was you were paying them? | 无论金额 都得把钱退还给你呢 |
[35:48] | Actually, no. That’s the thing. | 其实不是的 是这样的 |
[35:50] | Once you get that first volunteer, | 一旦你找到了第一个志愿者 |
[35:52] | it becomes a much easier proposition. | 再找其他人就很容易了 |
[35:54] | We’ve actually had seven more trials | 其实从那以后 |
[35:55] | with the drug since then. | 我们找到了其他七个试药者 |
[35:56] | And how are those trial subjects doing? | 那些试药者情况如何了 |
[36:00] | Unfortunately, we’ve yet to see a positive outcome | 很遗憾 我们仍未能在人体试验中 |
[36:02] | in a human trial. | 取得积极成果 |
[36:08] | I think I would like to testify. | 我想去作证 |
[36:12] | You might just want to have Benny give his closing argument | 要不就让本尼给结案陈词 |
[36:14] | and quit while you’re ahead. | 在有优势的时候离开法庭吧 |
[36:16] | We’ve got nine jurors on our side. | 我们这边争取到了九名陪审员了 |
[36:18] | Nope. | 并不 |
[36:19] | Andrew and I are going for a clean sweep. | 安德鲁和我想要的是大获全胜 |
[36:22] | Andrew, | 安德鲁 |
[36:23] | simple question. | 一个简单的问题 |
[36:25] | Did you know Dr. Weber was | 你知道韦伯医生 |
[36:27] | going to be in the restaurant that night? | 那晚会去餐馆吗 |
[36:28] | No. | 不 |
[36:30] | – How could I? – And did you know | – 我怎么会知道呢 – 那你知道 |
[36:32] | that the chain-link fence you had pushed him into | 你把他推进的铁丝网围栏 |
[36:35] | was actually a gate, | 其实是一扇大门 |
[36:37] | and that the gate would be left unlocked? | 而且门没有上锁吗 |
[36:39] | I mean, | 我是说 |
[36:41] | that would be something you would have to know | 如果你推他时是想杀死他的 |
[36:44] | if by pushing him into the fence you hoped to kill him. | 这些你是必须知道的 |
[36:46] | I didn’t even know there was construction | 我甚至不知道 |
[36:48] | going on over there. | 那附近在施工 |
[36:50] | I’d never gone down that street before. | 我之前从没去过那条街 |
[36:53] | I’d only been living in my uncle’s for, like… | 那时候我只在我叔叔家住了 |
[36:56] | two months at that point, | 大概两个月 |
[36:58] | and my school’s the other way. | 我的学校在另一边 |
[37:00] | So you had no plans to kill Dr. Weber. | 所以你没有杀害韦伯医生的计划 |
[37:03] | That was not your intention. | 杀死他不是你的目的 |
[37:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[37:06] | Is the attorney for the defense asking the questions | 被告律师是在提问 |
[37:08] | or answering them? | 还是在回答 |
[37:09] | Let me rephrase, Your Honor. | 让我来重新措辞一下 法官阁下 |
[37:10] | The answer is no! | 答案是不 |
[37:14] | I had just seen all the death I care to see in my life. | 我已经看尽了我这一生想看到的死亡了 |
[37:19] | I just stood around and listened | 当我的母亲几周以来呻吟哀嚎时 |
[37:22] | while my mother moaned and howled for weeks. | 我只能站在一旁听着 |
[37:29] | Talk gibberish to people who weren’t in the room. | 她胡言乱语着和不在房间里的人说话 |
[37:32] | Mistake me for my father. | 把我错认成我的父亲 |
[37:34] | Lose all control of her bodily functions. | 失去对身体一切功能的控制 |
[37:37] | Forget her own name. | 忘掉了自己的名字 |
[37:41] | The last thing I wanted to do is hurt another human being. | 我想做的最后一件事 是去伤害另一个人 |
[37:49] | ‘Cause anyone any pain. | 给某人带来点伤痛 |
[37:53] | The only reason I was following him down that street… | 我在那条街上跟踪他的唯一原因 |
[38:00] | I just wanted to know why. | 是我想知道为什么 |
[38:04] | Why would he do that to the last weeks of her life? | 为什么他要这样对待她生命的最后几周 |
[38:07] | But he wouldn’t tell me. | 可他不告诉我 |
[38:11] | And now I know. | 现在我知道了 |
[38:15] | He sold those weeks to a drug company | 他把那几周以五十万美金 |
[38:18] | for half a million dollars. | 卖给了一个制药公司 |
[38:25] | But they weren’t his to sell. | 可是凭什么啊 |
[38:29] | I mean… | 我是说 |
[38:34] | I really do regret that I pushed him, | 我非常后悔我推了他 |
[38:38] | and I really do regret that he fell. | 我非常遗憾他摔了下去 |
[38:45] | But I realize now… | 但现在我了解了 |
[38:49] | regretting things doesn’t make you guilty of having caused them. | 后悔不会让你有罪 |
[38:56] | And I didn’t cause this. | 而这也不是我造成的 |
[39:03] | May I give you an update? | 要听更新吗 |
[39:04] | Nope. | 不要 |
[39:06] | I don’t want to ruin the surprise. | 我不想破坏这个惊喜 |
[39:14] | Jury was out a whole 23 minutes. | 陪审团二十三分钟就达成了一致 |
[39:17] | That’s got to be some kind of record. | 这一定破了什么记录 |
[39:18] | It certainly is for me. | 显然是因为我的雄辩 |
[39:20] | How do we ever say thank you? | 不知该如何表达我们的谢意 |
[39:22] | You pay our bill, you tell your friends. | 你付清佣金 并且向朋友们推荐我们就好了 |
[39:28] | You were outstanding today. | 你今天太棒了 |
[39:30] | I think it made all the difference. | 你的表现改变了一切 |
[39:31] | Thank you for pushing me. | 谢谢你推了我一把 |
[39:33] | – I hope you meant what you said. – How do you mean? | – 希望你的意思如你所说的那样 – 什么意思 |
[39:36] | Well, I believed it when you told the court | 我相信你如在法庭上所说的一样 |
[39:38] | you regretted the doctor’s death, | 为医生的死感到遗憾 |
[39:40] | but I hope you also meant it | 但我希望 你也确实明白 |
[39:42] | when you said you knew you didn’t cause it. | 这不是你造成的 |
[39:44] | Oh, no, I meant it. | 是的 我明白 |
[39:46] | Actually, that was something | 事实上 这是帕尔默先生 |
[39:48] | Mr. Palmer tried to get me to see. | 让我认识到的 |
[39:51] | Took me a while to understand. | 我花了好久才想明白 |
[39:54] | I’d be grateful if you let him know it stuck. | 如果你能告诉他的话 我会非常感激 |
[39:56] | We’d be happy to. | 很荣幸转达 |
[40:06] | Well… how about that? | 这样说怎么样 |
[40:08] | Chunk to the rescue. | 结果是特朗科来救援了 |
[40:10] | – Who knew? – Not me, that’s for sure. | – 谁知道呢 – 反正不是我 |
[40:27] | I’m sorry… | 对不起… |
[40:29] | if I let you down. | 如果我辜负了你 |
[40:31] | Or if I made you let yourself down in some way. | 或者某种意义上我让你辜负了自己 |
[40:38] | Let me tell you something. | 我告诉你 |
[40:39] | You cannot let me down. | 你不会辜负我的 |
[40:42] | It’s simply not possible. | 根本没有这种可能 |
[40:44] | You can disappoint me. | 你可能会让我失望 |
[40:46] | We can certainly disagree. | 我们可能会意见不一致 |
[40:49] | But let me down? | 但是 辜负我 |
[40:51] | You don’t know what you’re talking about. | 你不知道自己在说什么 |
[41:01] | Do you want to come in? | 要进来坐坐吗 |
[41:02] | Oh, I’d love to come in. I always want to come in. | 我很想进去 我一直想进去 |
[41:05] | I love being a part of your life, but… | 我希望成为你生活的一部分 但是 |
[41:08] | truth is, I think you’ve had quite enough | 事实上 我觉得你差不多已经 |
[41:10] | of me for a bit. | 受够我了 |
[41:12] | And it’s a Sunday, and.. | 今天是周日 而且 |
[41:14] | I need to get some things done. | 我还有别的事要忙 |
[41:17] | Maybe next week. | 下周吧 |
[41:18] | Maybe next week. | 下周吧 |
[41:38] | Taxi! | 出租车 |
[41:49] | Where you headed? | 您要去哪里 |
[41:53] | Actually… | 事实上 |
[41:55] | I’m looking for a Baptist church. | 我想找座浸会教堂 |
[41:58] | You know, why don’t you start driving, | 不然你先开着 |
[42:00] | and I’ll hit you with an address as soon as I find it. | 我搜到地址马上告诉你 |
[42:03] | You got it, brother. | 没问题 老兄 |