时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:10] | Come on, man! | 加把劲 |
[00:14] | Escape! | 摆脱他 |
[00:16] | Escape! | 摆脱他 |
[00:17] | Roll out! | 转个圈 |
[00:20] | Roll out! | 转圈 |
[00:23] | Roll out! | 转圈 |
[00:26] | Get to your feet! | 站起来 |
[00:29] | Come on! | 起来 |
[00:58] | Come on… | 别骗我 |
[01:15] | We’re heading over to the dining hall. You coming? | 我们要去餐厅吃饭 你来吗 |
[01:18] | Nah, I think I’m gonna stick around. | 不了 我还是再练一会吧 |
[01:20] | Still over? | 还超吗 |
[01:21] | Yeah. | 超 |
[01:24] | We’ll catch you later, then. | 那我们待会见吧 |
[01:51] | Antonio. | 安东尼 |
[02:03] | You got to be kidding me. | 你在跟我开玩笑 |
[02:06] | You’re still three pounds over. We talked about this. | 你还是超了三磅 之前我们讲过这个 |
[02:08] | – You said you had it under control. – I thought I did. | – 你还说你控制得住 – 我以为控制住了 |
[02:11] | Well, I guess you thought wrong, didn’t you? | 那看来你错了 不是吗 |
[02:17] | – I’m sorry, Coach. – Yeah, I bet you are. | – 对不起 教练 – 是啊 你最好是 |
[02:19] | But it’s your teammates you should be apologizing to. | 不过你对不起的应该是你的队友们 |
[02:22] | If we have to forfeit your slot, again, | 如果又一次丢掉你的名额 |
[02:25] | do you know how hard it’s gonna be for us to qualify for state? | 你知道我们要参加州级赛会有多难吗 |
[02:28] | You got two hours before weigh-ins. | 离赛前测重你还剩两个小时 |
[02:31] | Maybe you can still fix this. | 你或许能把问题解决掉 |
[02:33] | You know what you got to do. | 你知道该做什么 |
[03:22] | Antonio! | 安东尼 |
[03:26] | Hey. Antonio. | 喂 安东尼 |
[03:29] | Come here. Look at me, kid. | 来 看着我 孩子 |
[03:30] | Is he okay? | 他没事吧 |
[03:32] | Call 911. One of you guys call 911. | 打急救电话 你们谁打个电话啊 |
[03:35] | What about Emmet? | 那艾美特呢 |
[03:36] | Man, if anybody was gonna go pro, it was gonna be Emmet. | 朋友 如果有谁进了职业体育圈 也只会是艾美特 |
[03:40] | he sort of went pro. | 某种程度上算是进了 |
[03:41] | He is a sportscaster in Atlanta? | 他好像是在亚特兰大做体育解说 |
[03:45] | Uh, beautiful wife. No gray hair. | 妻子很好看 没白头发 |
[03:47] | Ah, okay. I hate him. | 好吧 我恨他 |
[03:49] | Well, those are all very hateable qualities. | 都是些别人家的孩子 |
[03:52] | Wish I had accomplished enough for somebody to hate me. | 真希望我能混得不错 让别人也恨我 |
[03:54] | What? | 什么 |
[03:55] | What are you talking about? | 你在乱说什么 |
[03:56] | Man, you work at one of the snootiest prep schools | 朋友 你在最上流的预科学校工作 |
[03:59] | in America. | 全国领先 |
[04:00] | I mean, I’m sure there’s plenty of people out there | 我意思是 我敢肯定有的是人 |
[04:02] | – that hate you. – Maybe. | – 恨你混得好 – 或许吧 |
[04:03] | I don’t know. I’m a guidance counselor, Chunk. | 不清楚 我就是个辅导员 特朗科 |
[04:07] | So, what can I do for you, Reggie? | 那么 你要我帮你什么忙 雷吉 |
[04:11] | Well, what makes you think I want something? | 什么让你觉得我需要帮忙 |
[04:13] | “Makes you think…” Well, you called me out the blue. | “让你觉得…” 你突然给我打电话 |
[04:16] | I haven’t seen you in, what, eight years? | 可我都八年没见过你了 |
[04:18] | – What…? – You bring your briefcase… | – 什么… – 你是带了公文箱 |
[04:19] | …with you. | 一起来的 |
[04:20] | What, are you gonna try to sell me something? | 怎么 你要跟我推销点什么吗 |
[04:21] | I wish. Um… | 我倒想 |
[04:24] | Uh, it’s a 16-year-old kid. | 是个十六岁男孩的事 |
[04:33] | One of the students at my school, and he died | 他是我们学校的学生 |
[04:35] | while he was training, | 训练的时候猝死了 |
[04:37] | of a heart attack; he’s a wrestler. | 心脏病发作 是个摔角运动员 |
[04:40] | Seriously? | 你来真的吗 |
[04:41] | He’s a scholarship kid, uh, Latino. | 他拿着奖学金 拉美裔 |
[04:44] | And the school, they can’t get his parents | 而学校方面 又无法尽快 |
[04:47] | to sign a legal waiver fast enough. | 让他的父母签署弃权声明书 |
[04:51] | The school wouldn’t think twice about firing me | 如果学校知道我和律师谈论此事 |
[04:53] | if they knew I was talking to a lawyer about this. | 会毫不犹豫地辞退我 |
[04:56] | He used to come by my office quite a bit. | 他生前总来我办公室 |
[05:00] | He grew up poor in Newark. | 在纽瓦克长大的 家里穷 |
[05:03] | Trust me, there are not many kids like that | 相信我 这种情况的孩子 |
[05:06] | at Dartwell Preparatory School. | 我们学校没几个 |
[05:08] | I just want to even up the odds a little bit. | 我就是想公平公正一点 |
[05:10] | I mean, not that the school’s doing anything wrong. | 并不是说学校有什么错 |
[05:13] | Everything’s very polished, | 学校一切做得都很得体 |
[05:15] | very appropriate, very respectful. | 非常适切 敬意十足 |
[05:17] | So, what is it you’d like me to do? | 那你想让我做什么 |
[05:19] | I want you to get involved. | 我想让你搭把手 |
[05:21] | This boy’s parents, | 这个男孩的父母 |
[05:23] | these are good people. | 他们是好人 |
[05:25] | But they’re in way over their head. | 可他们处理不了这种麻烦事 |
[05:26] | I know how Dartwell operates. | 我知道达威尔的手段 |
[05:28] | They’re just gonna keep throwing their fancy lawyers at them | 他们会不停地派高价律师对付他们 |
[05:30] | and pressuring them to sign away their rights. | 迫使他们签协议放弃权益 |
[05:32] | Do everything they can | 什么招都使得出来 |
[05:35] | s-so they got zero chance of getting a fair settlement. | 他们压根就没机会得到公平的协议 |
[05:38] | Just because these people are poor | 不能因为这些人没钱 |
[05:40] | and their boy was there on a scholarship, | 而孩子在学校拿着奖学金上学 |
[05:42] | that doesn’t mean that his life was worth any less | 就意味着他的命比 |
[05:44] | than any other kid there. | 学校里的其他孩子贱 |
[05:48] | Let me see what I can do. | 我看看能做些什么 |
[05:50] | He was always good at sports. | 他一直擅长体育 |
[05:53] | At games. | 各种比赛 |
[05:56] | But wrestling, that was his favorite. | 而摔角 是他的最爱 |
[05:59] | Last year, he was a freshman, | 去年 他上大一 |
[06:01] | he wrestled for the public school down the street. | 他代表附近的公立学校摔角 |
[06:04] | They got into a state tournament. | 他们打进了国家锦标赛 |
[06:06] | First time it ever happened. | 校史上第一次 |
[06:08] | And everyone knew it was because of Antonio. | 而且大家都知道全靠安东尼 |
[06:11] | That’s when the calls started. | 电话也是从那时开始的 |
[06:14] | – The calls? – Yes. | – 电话 – 对 |
[06:15] | Schools wanting Antonio to wrestle for them. | 想让安东尼去摔角的学校打来的 |
[06:18] | Expensive private schools. | 都是学费很贵的私立学校 |
[06:20] | Seven of them. | 有七所 |
[06:22] | Three even offered full scholarships. | 有三所甚至开出全额奖学金 |
[06:25] | That’s very impressive. | 相当不错了 |
[06:27] | We were thrilled. | 我们一家很激动 |
[06:29] | This neighborhood is not that safe. | 这个社区并不安全 |
[06:31] | The gangs, they’re everywhere. | 黑帮无处不在 |
[06:33] | Especially in the schools. | 尤其是学校内部 |
[06:35] | So why Dartwell? | 那你们为什么去了达威尔 |
[06:37] | We went and we looked. | 我们去看过了 |
[06:40] | It was beautiful. | 学校非常棒 |
[06:44] | But most of all, it was Coach Davis. | 但最主要的原因 是达维斯教练 |
[06:46] | He sat there, right where you’re sitting. | 他坐在那里 就在你坐的地方 |
[06:49] | Promised us that he would take care of our boy. | 承诺说他会照顾好我们的孩子 |
[06:52] | And has the school been forthcoming with you | 您儿子去世后 |
[06:54] | since your son passed? | 学校方面交涉主动吗 |
[06:57] | Yes and no. | 既主动也不主动 |
[06:59] | Manuel and I have been there at least a dozen times. | 曼维尔和我去学校至少十几次了 |
[07:02] | I don’t know how many phone calls we’ve made. | 我们已经打了无数个电话 |
[07:04] | They all tell us how sorry they are but there are no answers. | 他们永远是在说抱歉 没回复 |
[07:07] | And no one will explain how this happened. | 也没有人解释怎么出的事 |
[07:11] | And I’ve yet to get a call back from Coach Davis. | 我都还没接到过达维斯教练的回电 |
[07:13] | His lawyers have probably advised him not to call you. | 律师可能建议他不要打电话给你们 |
[07:16] | We took a look at the documents you sent over. | 我们浏览了你们发来的文件 |
[07:19] | The proposed settlement agreement, | 学校给出的调解协议 |
[07:22] | the medical examiner’s report. | 验尸报告 |
[07:24] | And the examiner found that Antonio died of heart failure | 验尸官发现安东尼死于心力衰竭 |
[07:27] | brought on by heat exhaustion and extreme dehydration. | 诱发原因是热衰竭和严重脱水 |
[07:33] | But he also mentioned a juvenile mitral valve murmur? | 可他还提到了青少年二尖瓣杂音 |
[07:38] | Yes. That was something he was born with, | 对 那是他出生时落下的 |
[07:40] | but the doctors said that that disappeared years ago. | 但医生说几年前就消失了 |
[07:43] | That has nothing to do with this. | 跟他的死没有关系 |
[07:45] | No, I’m sure you’re right. | 我相信你 |
[07:46] | But in the agreement, the school’s lawyers reference | 但在协议里 学校律师提到了 |
[07:49] | an “Undisclosed congenital heart condition.” | “未公开的先天性心脏病” |
[07:53] | It’s clear they’re trying to use Antonio’s heart murmur | 显然他们要利用安东尼的心脏杂音 |
[07:56] | to shield themselves from blame. | 来使自己免于担责 |
[07:57] | Regardless of that, | 不提这点 |
[07:59] | they are offering you a half a million dollars, | 他们要给你们五十万美元 |
[08:01] | which is certainly a respectable place to start. | 作为开价 这的确是个不小的数目了 |
[08:04] | The catch, of course, is to get it, | 当然 代价是 要拿到钱 |
[08:08] | or wherever we might land money-wise, | 或者达成其它经济协定 |
[08:11] | you are gonna have to sign a no-fault agreement. | 你们得签署一份不追究过失责任的协议 |
[08:14] | That’s what I don’t understand. What does that mean? | 这我不懂 什么意思 |
[08:16] | It means they’re paying you to go away. | 意思是他们付钱让你们弃诉 |
[08:19] | Once you take the money, | 一旦你们拿了钱 |
[08:21] | they don’t want to hear from you again. | 他们就不想再见到你们了 |
[08:23] | You can’t sue them, you can’t complain, | 不能提起诉讼 不能投诉他们 |
[08:25] | you can’t go to the press. | 你也不能去找媒体曝光 |
[08:26] | The matter is closed. | 这件事就此了结 |
[08:28] | Which means that I can’t sleep, I can’t eat, I can’t breathe. | 那我就无心入眠 无心进食 无心活下去 |
[08:32] | No. | 不行 |
[08:34] | I don’t care about the money. | 要不要这笔钱根本无所谓 |
[08:37] | I want to know why this happened | 我想知道我的儿子为什么会猝死 |
[08:38] | and I want to know how this happened. | 以及当时具体的情况 |
[08:41] | My son was a healthy teenager. | 我儿子本是个健康少年 |
[08:46] | And healthy teenagers don’t have heart attacks. | 健康的少年不会平白无故地突发心脏病 |
[08:48] | Well, then the choice is simple. | 那么你们的选择就很清楚了 |
[08:51] | If you folks want to force answers out of the school, | 如果你们想强迫学校给你们答复 |
[08:54] | your only option is to sue. | 你们只能选择起诉 |
[08:56] | What we’d do is file | 我们将会代表你们 |
[08:58] | a wrongful death civil suit on your behalf. | 针对学校的过失致死提起民事诉讼 |
[09:00] | We’d effectively be suing Dartwell Prep School | 我们将有力地起诉达威尔预备学校 |
[09:03] | and Coach Davis. | 以及达维斯教练 |
[09:05] | Just so everyone understands, once you demand a trial, | 你们要明白 一旦你们要求审判 |
[09:09] | all bets are off. | 接下来的一切都难以预料 |
[09:11] | Maybe we’ll get some answers, maybe we won’t. | 我们可能得到答复 也可能没有 |
[09:15] | Maybe we’ll get you some money, | 你们可能拿到补偿款 |
[09:18] | or maybe you’ll end up with none. | 也可能一分钱都没有 |
[09:24] | So let me ask you, Dr. Bull, | 那我想问你 布尔博士 |
[09:27] | would you accept half a million dollars and silence | 你愿意用五十万和沉默 |
[09:31] | in return for your child’s life? | 交换你孩子的生命吗 |
[09:34] | No. Of course not. | 不愿意 当然不愿意了 |
[09:37] | Then we need to sue. | 那么我们就要起诉 |
[09:40] | For Antonio. | 为了安东尼 |
[10:00] | Come on… | 拜托… |
[10:10] | Around… | 绕过去… |
[10:11] | I mean, come on. | 别这样吧 |
[10:17] | You look pregnant. | 你看上去像怀孕了 |
[10:21] | Taylor! Someone! | 泰勒 有人吗 |
[10:24] | Help me! | 来帮下我 |
[10:27] | Normally, don’t you put on your coat and mittens | 我们外套和手套都还没换上 |
[10:29] | and then your scarf? | 你怎么就戴围巾了 |
[10:31] | It’s a baby sling. | 这是个婴儿背带 |
[10:35] | You had a baby, didn’t you? | 你不是带过孩子吗 |
[10:36] | Yeah, but it didn’t come with one of those. | 但是也没有搞过这种东西啊 |
[10:39] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[10:40] | I was hoping you might be able to help me a little. | 我还以为你能帮我整整 |
[10:47] | just wanted you to know we got the witness list. | 跟你说一下 我们拿到了证人名单 |
[10:50] | Defense is calling Sarah Barnes to the stand. | 辩方传唤了萨拉·巴恩斯 |
[10:54] | Wow. Playing hardball. | 有点不留情了啊 |
[10:56] | – Mm-hmm. – Who’s she? | – 是啊 – 那是谁 |
[10:58] | She is a brilliant medical mind | 是一名出色的医生 |
[10:59] | completely unfettered by ethics and morality. | 但毫无伦理道德 |
[11:03] | – Excuse me? – She’s a gun for hire. | – 什么 – 她只为雇她的人说话 |
[11:06] | A very expensive gun for hire. | 只为高价雇她的人说话 |
[11:08] | The best or the worst, depending on | 如果是己方 形势就极其有利了 |
[11:11] | what side of the courtroom you’re standing on. | 如果是敌方 我们就不那么占上风了 |
[11:13] | Used to be New Jersey’s chief medical examiner. | 她以前是新泽西的首席法医 |
[11:17] | Now she makes a fortune providing her clients | 现在她不管事实 |
[11:19] | with whatever medical opinion they need to win. | 只帮她的委托人说话 赚了很多钱 |
[11:22] | Well, if Dartwell Academy’s hiring her, | 如果 达威尔学校雇了她 |
[11:24] | we can assume they’re going all in on the heart murmur | 他们一定是想把安东尼的死因 |
[11:26] | as Antonio’s cause of death. | 完全归为心杂音 |
[11:29] | We’re gonna need to get ahead of her testimony. | 我们得针对她的证词做准备 |
[11:31] | So, Taylor, | 那么 泰勒 |
[11:34] | comb the Internet for every word | 去网上找这个女人对于心杂音 |
[11:36] | this woman has ever uttered or written | 所说过或者写过的 |
[11:38] | on the subject of heart murmurs. | 所有内容 |
[11:41] | If she’s ever said anything even slightly contradictory | 如果她说过任何跟安东尼的死 |
[11:43] | to what she says about Antonio’s death, | 哪怕有一点矛盾的话 |
[11:46] | I want Benny to be able to pounce on it. | 我希望本尼能针对这些话反击 |
[11:48] | Let’s talk jurors. | 来谈谈陪审员怎么选吧 |
[11:50] | Oh, let’s talk authority bias. | 来谈谈人们对权威的偏心吧 |
[11:53] | Okay, what about authority bias? | 好吧 对权威的偏心 |
[11:54] | It’s not good for our side. | 这种偏心对我们不利 |
[11:57] | People with an authority bias are blinded by the power | 有这种偏心的人容易被 |
[12:00] | of an authority figure, or, for that matter, | 一个权威人士 或者 |
[12:03] | an authoritarian institution. | 权威机构蒙蔽 |
[12:05] | They will always give it the benefit of the doubt. | 只要没有确切的证据 他们就总会偏袒权威 |
[12:07] | So they’ll take the school’s word | 所以他们就会相信学校 |
[12:09] | that this was just a tragic accident. | 认为这只是一场意外 |
[12:11] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[12:13] | And that’s why we want jurors who are distrustful. | 正因为如此 我们需要一些多疑的陪审员 |
[12:17] | Good afternoon, folks. | 各位下午好 |
[12:20] | Let’s start with a hypothetical. | 我们从一个假设开始 |
[12:22] | You are on an airplane. | 你在飞机上 |
[12:25] | The cabin doors close, you’ve been instructed to | 舱门关闭 你被要求 |
[12:27] | put your cell phone on airplane mode. | 将手机调成飞行模式 |
[12:29] | But you are in the middle of a very important text exchange. | 但是你正在发一些非常重要的短信 |
[12:34] | What do you do? | 你会怎么办 |
[12:35] | Ma’am? | 女士 |
[12:36] | Uh, turn it off. Safety first. | 我会关机 安全第一 |
[12:39] | What do you think would happen if you left it on? | 你觉得如果不关会怎样呢 |
[12:42] | What’s the difference? | 那又怎么样 |
[12:43] | They want you to turn it off, I’m gonna turn it off. | 机组需要我关机 我就关机 |
[12:46] | Blind faith in a vague instruction | 盲目遵从权威组织发布的 |
[12:48] | issued by an institutional authority. | 模糊指令 |
[12:50] | You seeing any signs of rebellion below the surface? | 这个人有什么跟我猜测不符的吗 |
[12:53] | Not a whiff. Big joiner. Rotary Club. | 完全没有 很喜欢群体活动 参加了扶轮社 |
[12:55] | President of her alumni association. | 在她的校友会当主席 |
[12:58] | No. | 换掉 |
[12:59] | Your Honor, we’d like to thank and excuse this juror. | 法官大人 我们感谢这位女士的参与并希望换掉她 |
[13:04] | And what about you, sir? | 你呢 先生 |
[13:06] | – Me? – Yeah. You hear the announcement, | – 我吗 – 是的 你听到机组通知之后 |
[13:08] | – what do you do? – I keep texting. | – 你会怎么做 – 我会选择发完我的短信 |
[13:10] | To be honest, I never turn my phone off on the plane. | 说实话 我在飞机上从来不关手机 |
[13:13] | I just silence it. | 我只是调静音 |
[13:14] | They pretend like it’s about safety, | 机组说的好像这是关乎安全问题 |
[13:16] | but really, it’s just about them not wanting us on our phones. | 但其实只是他们不想我们用手机 |
[13:19] | It’s a control thing for them. | 这只是他们的控制欲而已 |
[13:21] | Tell me this man is exactly who he seems. | 告诉我这个人有这么多疑 |
[13:23] | Randy Grider, grandfather and self-described cynic. | 兰迪·格里德 有个孙子 自称愤世嫉俗 |
[13:27] | Manages a restaurant, and has had what appears to be | 开了一家餐馆 和卫生部有长期争执 |
[13:31] | a very public ten-year feud with the health department. | 长达十几年的 颇负盛名 |
[13:34] | Refers to health inspectors as navel-gazing bureaucrats | 指责卫生监察员是过度自我的官僚主义者 |
[13:37] | whose only concern is hitting a monthly quota | 而且监察的目的 |
[13:39] | of violations. | 只是为了达到每月业绩 |
[13:41] | Oh, my. Welcome aboard, Randy. | 完美 欢迎加入我们 兰迪 |
[13:44] | I’ve been thinking about tomorrow. | 我一直在想明天怎么办 |
[13:47] | I think maybe we attack | 或许我们应该上来就 |
[13:49] | the school’s narrative right from the jump. | 攻击学校的陈述 |
[13:52] | Put our medical expert on first to dispel any idea | 让那个医生把心杂音 |
[13:55] | that this supposed heart murmur had anything to do | 和安东尼的死因 |
[13:58] | with Antonio’s death. | 联系起来的念头打消掉 |
[14:00] | I don’t know. I’m leaning towards | 我不觉得 我倾向于 |
[14:04] | making Claudia, Antonio’s mother, | 让安东尼的妈妈克劳迪亚 |
[14:06] | – our opening act. – Why is that? | – 来开场 – 为什么 |
[14:08] | When Dr. Barnes takes the stand, | 巴恩斯开始陈述的时候 |
[14:10] | the last thing we need is for the jury to be wondering | 我们不能让陪审团怀疑 |
[14:13] | why the Garcias didn’t fill in the school. | 为什么当初加西亚一家没有通知学校心杂音的事 |
[14:15] | So we put Claudia on first | 所以我们让克劳迪亚一开始就 |
[14:18] | and have her speak directly to it. | 直接说明为什么 |
[14:20] | They didn’t tell the school, because the heart murmur | 他们没告诉学校 是因为心杂音 |
[14:22] | disappeared sometime after Antonio’s third birthday. | 在安东尼三岁之后就消失了 |
[14:26] | So they didn’t inform the school because it was a nonissue. | 所以他们没通知学校 是因为那完全不用担心 |
[14:29] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[14:30] | And we’ll drive the point home with our own medical expert. | 然后让我们的法医来讲清楚心杂音的问题 |
[14:33] | Mrs. Garcia, | 加西亚夫人 |
[14:34] | at what age was Antonio diagnosed | 安东尼是在什么时候 |
[14:36] | with the mitral valve murmur? | 被检查出有二尖瓣杂音的 |
[14:38] | Shortly after he was born. | 就在他出生后不久 |
[14:41] | He was three months when they first noticed it, I think. | 他们大概是在三个月左右发现的 |
[14:43] | And after you received that diagnosis, | 当你收到诊断结果之后 |
[14:46] | were you aware of it manifesting itself | 你有发现过这个心杂音 |
[14:48] | in any way on your son? | 在你儿子身上有任何症状吗 |
[14:50] | Did he exhibit any symptoms? Was he suffering in any way? | 他因此经受过任何痛苦吗 |
[14:54] | No. Never. | 没有 从来没有 |
[14:56] | But we weren’t surprised. | 不过我们也预料到了 |
[14:58] | At the time of the diagnosis, the doctors told us | 诊断出来的时候 医生告诉我们 |
[15:00] | that in all likelihood, | 这个心杂音对他 |
[15:02] | it would have no impact on him at all. | 完全不会有任何的影响 |
[15:04] | In fact, in most cases, it actually disappears. | 事实上 心杂音大多都会慢慢消失 |
[15:07] | Or “Resolves itself,” | 或者说”自己就解决了” |
[15:10] | which I think is how they put it. | 医生们大概是这么说的 |
[15:12] | Mrs. Garcia, do you recall submitting | 加西亚夫人 你记得在给达威尔 |
[15:14] | this health questionnaire to Dartwell | 提交入学资料时的 |
[15:17] | with Antonio’s admission materials? | 这份健康情况问卷吗 |
[15:19] | Yes, I do. | 我记得 |
[15:20] | And on the questionnaire, it asks | 这份问卷问了 |
[15:23] | if the student had ever been diagnosed | 这位学生是否曾被诊断出 |
[15:25] | with a heart condition. | 心脏病 |
[15:26] | And you answered no to that question. | 而你回答了没有 |
[15:28] | – Didn’t you? – Yes, I did. | – 不是吗 – 是的 |
[15:30] | Why would you do that? | 你为什么这么做 |
[15:33] | Why wouldn’t you include the information on the heart murmur? | 你为什么不把心脏杂音的诊断写上去呢 |
[15:36] | When he was five years old, | 当他五岁时 |
[15:38] | the doctors told us that it was gone. | 医生告诉我们杂音消失了 |
[15:40] | He didn’t have a heart condition. | 他那时是没有心脏病的 |
[15:43] | All right, I understand that. | 好了 我明白了 |
[15:45] | But the question was asking if Antonio | 但是这个问题是问 |
[15:47] | had ever been diagnosed with a heart condition. | 安东尼是否曾被诊断出心脏病 |
[15:52] | I guess that you can read it that way. | 我想你也可以这么理解 |
[15:57] | To be honest, I just didn’t think about it. | 说实话 我只是没这么想过 |
[16:00] | When he was born, they said that he had something, | 当他刚出生 他们说他有杂音 |
[16:02] | and then they said that he didn’t. | 后来又说没有了 |
[16:04] | So, in my mind, he didn’t. | 所以在我看来 他没有了 |
[16:05] | Every year, he had a physical. | 每年他都做体检 |
[16:08] | And even when the Dartwell Preparatory School’s doctor | 甚至是在他入学之前 |
[16:11] | examined him, before he began at that school, | 达威尔的医生也给他做了检查 |
[16:14] | he said that my son was completely healthy. | 他说我的儿子完全健康 |
[16:19] | But of course, none of these doctors anticipated | 不过当然 没有一个医生会预料到 |
[16:22] | that my son would be made to run behind a school bus | 我的儿子会被迫像一条狗一样 |
[16:25] | in a garbage bag, like some kind of a dog! | 穿上垃圾袋追在校车后面跑 |
[16:28] | Your Honor, the witness is being inflammatory. | 法官大人 证人在煽动别人 |
[16:31] | She’s speculating about the thoughts of others. | 她在揣测别人的想法 |
[16:32] | She’s assuming facts not in evidence. | 她在假设事实而非指证 |
[16:34] | Sustained. The jury will disregard that last statement. | 反对有效 陪审团将忽略刚刚的陈述 |
[16:38] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 我问完了 法官大人 |
[16:46] | Mrs. Garcia, before Antonio enrolled, | 加西亚女士 在安东尼入学之前 |
[16:49] | were you aware of how competitive | 你们对达威尔摔跤队的 |
[16:51] | Dartwell’s wrestling team was? | 竞争程度有概念吗 |
[16:54] | We knew that they won a lot. | 我们知道他们得了很多奖 |
[16:55] | We knew that winning mattered to them. | 我们知道胜利对他们很重要 |
[16:58] | We knew that it was one of the reasons | 我们知道这也是他们想要 |
[16:59] | why they wanted our son. | 我们儿子加入的一个原因 |
[17:01] | And it’s one of the reasons that you wanted Dartwell, | 而你们选择达威尔的一个原因 |
[17:03] | because it was one of the best in the state. | 是因为它是全州最好的学校之一 |
[17:05] | Well, yes, of course. | 是 当然 |
[17:07] | Every parent wants the best for their child. | 每位父母都希望给自己的孩子最好的 |
[17:10] | So you must have been thrilled when you got an offer from them. | 所以你们收到录取通知时肯定很激动吧 |
[17:12] | Yes. We thought we’d won the lottery. | 是 我们感觉像是中了彩票 |
[17:15] | We? | 我们 |
[17:16] | Yes, we. | 是的 我们 |
[17:18] | The whole family was thrilled. | 我们一家都很激动 |
[17:20] | Antonio was thrilled, and we were thrilled for him. | 安东尼很激动 而我们为他而兴奋 |
[17:23] | Well, and not just because he’d get to wrestle, | 不仅仅是因为他能去摔跤 |
[17:25] | but he’d also get a better education. | 还因为他能得到好的教育 |
[17:27] | Maybe even a chance to go to a superior college. | 甚至可能有机会去顶尖的大学 |
[17:29] | Yes, of course. | 当然 |
[17:31] | Has anyone in your family ever attended college before? | 你们家以前有人上过大学吗 |
[17:34] | No. | 没有 |
[17:35] | Antonio would have been the first. | 安东尼本来可以是第一个 |
[17:38] | So there was a lot riding on Antonio’s success, | 所以达威尔对安东尼是否 |
[17:40] | or lack thereof at Dartwell, wasn’t there? | 能够成功有很大关系 不是吗 |
[17:44] | For him, for the family. | 对于他 对于家庭 |
[17:46] | I would think for any child, yes. | 从任何孩子的角度想 是的 |
[17:49] | Now, regarding the mitral valve prolapse, | 现在 关于二尖瓣脱垂 |
[17:51] | the questionnaire was not the only opportunity you had | 问卷调查并非是你唯一的机会 |
[17:54] | to disclose this condition, was it? | 来说明这个状况 是吗 |
[17:58] | There was nothing to disclose. | 这没什么好说的 |
[17:59] | You accompanied Antonio to his preliminary physical exam | 你陪同安东尼去参加了学校的 |
[18:02] | at the school. | 初步体检 |
[18:03] | Did you tell the doctor about it then? | 你那时告诉了医生吗 |
[18:05] | No, but… | 没有 但是… |
[18:06] | You spoke to Coach Davis on no less than a dozen occasions. | 你和达维斯教练也不止交谈过一次 |
[18:10] | Did you ever bring it up with him? | 你有没有跟他说过呢 |
[18:11] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[18:13] | Asked and answered. | 这是问答环节 |
[18:14] | Not with regard to Coach Davis it hasn’t been. | 和不在场的达维斯教练无关 |
[18:17] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[18:18] | The witness will answer the question. | 请证人回答问题 |
[18:21] | There was nothing to bring up. | 这没什么好说的 |
[18:23] | The condition no longer existed. | 他的病已经好了 |
[18:25] | And that’s why you chose not to include it | 所以这就是你选择不在 |
[18:27] | – in the questionnaire. – Yes. | – 问卷上写明的原因 – 是 |
[18:29] | Even though you knew how rigorous | 即使你知道达威尔摔跤队 |
[18:31] | the Dartwell wrestling program was, | 有多严格 |
[18:33] | you never thought to mention a heart condition? | 你也从没想过说明他有心脏病 |
[18:36] | That’s pretty reckless, don’t you think? | 这太鲁莽了 你不觉得吗 |
[18:38] | But there was no heart condition. | 但他没有心脏病 |
[18:40] | Wouldn’t you have wanted Antonio to have the most thorough | 难道你没想过让安东尼做一次 |
[18:42] | physical exam possible? | 最彻底的体检吗 |
[18:43] | Wouldn’t you have wanted that doctor to know | 难道你没想过让医生知道 |
[18:45] | – everything about your son? – Of course. | – 你儿子的所有情况吗 – 当然想过 |
[18:47] | Didn’t they ask you whether he’d had | 他们有没有问过你 |
[18:50] | the measles or the mumps? | 他是否得过麻疹还是腮腺炎吗 |
[18:51] | Yes, of course. | 问过 |
[18:52] | And even though he no longer had those diseases, | 即使他不再患有这些病 |
[18:54] | you answered those questions, | 你也回答了这些问题 |
[18:56] | – didn’t you? – Objection! | – 不是吗 – 反对 |
[18:57] | Relevance. Counsel is conflating contagious diseases | 与本案无关 律师把传染病 |
[19:01] | – with genetic… – Overruled. | – 和基因混为一谈… – 抗议无效 |
[19:03] | Ask the question again, please. | 请再问一遍问题 |
[19:06] | Even though he no longer had those diseases, | 即使他不再患有这些病 |
[19:10] | you chose to answer those questions. | 你也回答了这些问题 |
[19:13] | Didn’t you? | 不是吗 |
[19:18] | The witness will answer the question. | 请证人回答问题 |
[19:25] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:28] | So you understood the question, | 所以你其实知道那个问题的答案 |
[19:31] | but intentionally misled the school | 却在有意误导学校 |
[19:34] | because you feared if they knew the answer, | 因为你害怕如果他们知道事实 |
[19:36] | they might withdraw the scholarship. | 他们有可能取消奖学金 |
[19:37] | Objection. Argumentative. | 反对 提问有争议 |
[19:40] | Counselor’s badgering the witness, Your Honor. | 律师在为难证人 法官大人 |
[19:42] | I’m trying to establish that the witness applied | 我在试图求证证人 |
[19:44] | different criteria to different questions. | 对不同的问题用了不同的标准 |
[19:46] | That the witness knew full well what the intention | 这位证人完全理解 |
[19:48] | of the question was, | 问题的意图是什么 |
[19:49] | but when it didn’t suit her purposes, | 但当它与她的目的违背时 |
[19:50] | she didn’t answer it. | 她没有回答 |
[19:51] | There was nothing to answer. | 没什么好说的 |
[19:54] | He didn’t have a heart condition. | 他没有心脏病 |
[19:55] | You lied, and your son died, Mrs. Garcia. | 你撒谎了 所以你儿子去世了 加西亚女士 |
[19:59] | Ms. Mosley, I have given you a wide berth of latitude today. | 莫斯里女士 我今天给了你很大的自由 |
[20:05] | Don’t give me reason to regret it. | 别让我后悔 |
[20:07] | I withdraw the question, Your Honor. | 我收回这个问题 法官大人 |
[20:08] | Nothing further at this time. | 目前没有其他问题了 |
[20:23] | I’ve been going through the last three years | 我看了近三年巴恩斯博士的 |
[20:25] | of Dr. Barnes’ testimony transcripts, | 证词记录 |
[20:27] | – and I’ve come up empty. – Good news/bad news | – 但我什么都没找到 – 好消息 |
[20:29] | is she never met a paying gig she didn’t like, | 坏消息是她从不接她不喜欢的有偿工作 |
[20:32] | so we have four or five more years of material to go through. | 所以我们还要看四到五年的材料 |
[20:34] | Do we know when she’s gonna testify? | 我们知道她什么时候出庭作证吗 |
[20:36] | It’s hard to say. | 不确定 |
[20:37] | We could rest our case as early as tomorrow. | 我们最早明天就能结案 |
[20:40] | I’ll read fast. | 我会加快读 |
[20:42] | Danielle James, you’re next in the Thunderdome. | 丹尼尔·詹姆斯 你是下一个 |
[20:44] | You ever heard the expression “No news is good news”? | 你听过 “没有消息就是好消息” 这句话吗 |
[20:47] | Never. Never ever. | 没有 没听过 |
[20:49] | Well, then you won’t find what I have to say very comforting. | 好吧 那你就不会觉得我在安慰你了 |
[20:51] | So, uh, Antonio’s teammates were not particularly forthcoming. | 安东尼的队友并非特别乐于提供信息 |
[20:55] | I’ve never been “No, ma’amed” So much in my life. | 我一生都没有听过这么多次 “没有 女士” |
[20:58] | They acted like the team’s regimen | 他们表现得好像队里的训练计划 |
[21:00] | was no big deal, just standard practice. | 没什么大不了的 只是标准训练而已 |
[21:03] | Yeah, been there and done that. | 他们在那儿也是这么做 |
[21:05] | They’re circling the wagons. Team first. | 他们在围着货车跑圈 团队第一 |
[21:07] | That’s how competitive athletes think. | 这就是竞技运动员的想法 |
[21:09] | Anything else is disloyal. | 其他的都算不忠诚 |
[21:11] | And you, Mr. Palmer, you dragged us into this. | 还有你 帕默先生 你把我们拖进来 |
[21:14] | Have you any light to shed? | 你有什么线索吗 |
[21:16] | Actually, I did find something interesting. | 事实上 我找到了一些有趣的东西 |
[21:17] | It was in the discovery packet the defense sent over. | 这是被告送来的文件夹 |
[21:20] | These are the wrestling team’s rosters | 这里是近四年来摔跤队的名册 |
[21:23] | and body measurement stats for the last four years. | 和他们的身体测量数据 |
[21:28] | And why are we looking at these? | 为什么让我们看这些 |
[21:29] | You see last year’s? | 你们看看去年的 |
[21:30] | Now look at the rosters, then look at each kid’s weight. | 先看看这个登记表 关注每个孩子的体重 |
[21:34] | Now… | 现在… |
[21:36] | look at the year before that. | 看看他们一年前的体重 |
[21:41] | They look almost identical. What’s your point? | 数据基本相同 你想说什么 |
[21:43] | Now go back one more year. | 现在再看前年的 |
[21:50] | I’m sorry. They look virtually the same. | 数据总体上看上去还是一样啊 |
[21:52] | You’re losing me, Chunk. | 我不知道这有什么问题 伙计 |
[21:53] | Now look at their heights. | 现在再看看他们的身高 |
[21:58] | They’re growing, but they’re not changing their weight classes. | 他们处于成长期 但他们的重量级却没有变化 |
[22:01] | Bingo. | 没错 |
[22:02] | Coach Davis, you have had | 达维斯教练 你在达威尔 |
[22:05] | quite a run at Dartwell. | 事业有成 |
[22:07] | 16 years as head coach. | 十六年的总教练 |
[22:10] | Four years as an assistant at other schools. | 以及四年在他校做助教 |
[22:13] | I’ve been very blessed. | 我实在很幸运 |
[22:16] | And I’m guessing, in your two decades | 那么可以说在你将近二十年 |
[22:18] | of working with young athletes, | 训练年轻运动员们的经历来说 |
[22:20] | you have learned a thing or two about sports nutrition? | 你一定对运动营养学颇有心得吧 |
[22:24] | All part of the game. | 都是为了比赛 |
[22:25] | Ah. So tell me, how is it possible | 那么你告诉我 你的一些选手 |
[22:29] | that during some of your wrestlers’ prime growth years… | 是如何在他们青春成长期… |
[22:33] | Now, I’m talking between 14 and 18… | 我具体指的是十四到十八岁之间… |
[22:37] | They don’t seem to gain any weight? | 保持体重不增长的呢 |
[22:40] | I’m sorry, I-I don’t know what you mean. | 对不起 我不知道你想表达什么 |
[22:42] | I apologize. | 抱歉 |
[22:43] | Let me get a little more specific. | 让我说得更加具体一些 |
[22:46] | As it turns out, | 从结果上看 |
[22:48] | I was able to get my hands on the Dartwell wrestling team’s | 我拿到了达威尔摔跤队 |
[22:51] | varsity roster for the last three years. | 过去三年的正选名单 |
[22:53] | Now, Coach Davis, are you aware, | 现在 达维斯教练 根据你自己做的 |
[22:55] | according to your own rosters and weight records, | 名单和体重记录 你知道从十年级到 |
[22:58] | from sophomore to senior year, on average, only 12% | 十二年级的正选队员里 平均只有百分之十二 |
[23:03] | of the wrestlers on your team changed their weight class? | 的队员因为体重增长改变了他们的重量级 |
[23:07] | Okay. | 所以呢 |
[23:10] | What… You don’t find that odd? | 什么… 你没觉得很奇怪吗 |
[23:12] | No. I don’t. | 不 我没觉得 |
[23:14] | A lot of it’s genetics. | 很多都是个人的基因所致 |
[23:16] | But wrestlers… | 不过摔跤手… |
[23:17] | Winning, competitive high school wrestlers… | 特别是强豪高中出身的摔跤手… |
[23:20] | Just tend to be early developers. | 一般都发育得比较早 |
[23:21] | It’s the right body type for wrestling. | 这是有利于摔跤的体型 |
[23:24] | So their growth just isn’t terribly dramatic, | 所以他们的发育看上去不是那么明显 |
[23:27] | because, by and large, the bulk of it has happened | 因为 从整体上来讲 主要的发育都在 |
[23:29] | before they start their work with the team. | 他们加入摔跤队之前就结束了 |
[23:31] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[23:32] | Well, then, how do you explain Lance Briles, | 那么 你怎么解释兰斯·布莱欧的情况呢 |
[23:36] | grew two inches in three years and didn’t gain any weight? | 他在三年里长了两英尺但体重却没有长 |
[23:41] | Clearly the bulk of his growth | 很明显他的生理发育期 |
[23:43] | didn’t happen before he joined the team. | 在他加入摔跤队之前还没发生 |
[23:45] | Well, Lance, I mean, you’re talking about an outlier there. | 兰斯他… 你这是在举一个毫无代表性的特例 |
[23:49] | That’s not a typical situation. | 这并不能说明大多数情况 |
[23:51] | I see. | 好的呢 |
[23:52] | And-and what about Ryan Tissen? | 那你又怎么解释莱恩·蒂森的情况呢 |
[23:55] | Grew four inches but didn’t gain a pound. | 长高了四英尺 但体重一磅都没多 |
[23:58] | He an outlier, too? What about Reese Nichols? | 他也是个特例吗 那么瑞斯·尼克又怎么说 |
[24:01] | Grew five inches, and no weight gain. | 长高了五英尺都没有增重 |
[24:04] | I mean, wrestler after wrestler. | 看看这一个接一个的摔跤手 |
[24:07] | Uh, these stats don’t lie. | 这些数据可不会说谎 |
[24:09] | Although 80% of your wrestlers grew at least three inches | 尽管你队里百分八十的摔跤手在队时期 |
[24:14] | during their time on your team, | 都长高了至少三英尺 |
[24:16] | only 12% gained weight. | 只有百分之十二增重了 |
[24:19] | Now, I don’t know about you, | 我不知道你是怎么想的 |
[24:21] | but that seems pretty strange to me. | 但这些数据在我看来很有问题 |
[24:23] | Pretty scary, pretty dangerous. | 非常可怕 非常危险 |
[24:25] | Objection. Counselor’s testifying. | 反对 原告律师在作证 |
[24:27] | Mr. Colón. | 科隆先生 |
[24:28] | Oh, that’s all right, Your Honor. | 我知道了 法官大人 |
[24:30] | I’m gonna put a pin in that for now. | 那么这件事就暂且搁置不谈 |
[24:31] | Now, Coach Davis, | 达维斯教练 |
[24:33] | your success with the team | 你在带领团队方面的光环 |
[24:35] | has started to wane in the last few years. | 在最近几年开始有所消退 |
[24:38] | You even failed to qualify for state in the last three. | 在过去三年你甚至没能把队伍带到全国的舞台 |
[24:42] | Very tough competition. | 比赛很艰难 |
[24:44] | Last three years have been challenging. | 过去三年都面临了很大的挑战 |
[24:46] | Actually, in all three of those years, you didn’t have | 事实上 在过去三年里 你队伍里都没有 |
[24:48] | a wrestler that qualified in Antonio’s weight class. | 一个安东尼重量级的摔跤手晋级 |
[24:51] | Am I right? | 我说的没错吧 |
[24:53] | You had to forfeit the slot. | 你只能放弃那个重量级 |
[24:55] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:56] | Probably didn’t make your bosses very happy. | 这些成果可能让你上面的老板们不太满意 |
[24:59] | Now, uh, were you aware that the school’s administration | 那么 你知道学校的行政部门 |
[25:03] | had actually started reaching out | 已经开始为你的职位 |
[25:06] | to potential replacement candidates | 寻找可能的 |
[25:08] | for your position? | 接替者了吗 |
[25:09] | I’d heard rumors. | 我听过传闻了 |
[25:11] | But that’s the nature of athletics. | 不过那就是运动员的宿命 |
[25:13] | You don’t bring home the trophies, | 如果没法带回奖杯 |
[25:15] | people start to look elsewhere. | 那么人们就会把目光放到别处 |
[25:16] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[25:17] | Well, it must have been very exciting | 那么在争取到安东尼的时候 |
[25:19] | when you were able to recruit Antonio. | 你一定非常兴奋吧 |
[25:22] | Great wrestler, perfect weight. | 高超的摔跤手 完美的体重 |
[25:25] | I had high hopes for Antonio. | 我对安东尼抱有很大希望 |
[25:29] | Really believed in the boy. | 真的很期待那个男孩儿 |
[25:31] | So how did you feel when he showed up | 所以当他比去年五月长高了 |
[25:33] | an inch and a half taller | 一英尺半并 |
[25:35] | and eight pounds heavier than he was last May? | 增重了八磅的时候你有什么感受 |
[25:39] | Obviously, I was surprised. | 当然 我非常惊讶 |
[25:42] | But… eight pounds | 不过… 八磅 |
[25:45] | is not an insurmountable goal for these kids. | 对这些孩子来讲并不是不能克服的目标 |
[25:47] | Oh, I know. | 我知道 |
[25:49] | Look at all the athletes | 看看你过去训练的 |
[25:50] | you’ve worked with in the past | 这些摔跤运动员 |
[25:51] | that have grown inches taller | 长高了不只一英尺 |
[25:52] | and have gained absolutely no weight. | 还不曾增重一磅 |
[25:56] | And now here we are. | 说完这些 |
[25:59] | Let me ask you a question. | 让我问你一个问题 |
[26:01] | If you found out that some of your athletes were doing things | 如果你发现你手下一些队员为了保持体重 |
[26:05] | that compromised their health to keep their weight down, | 做了一些有损他们健康的事 |
[26:08] | maybe even put their lives at risk, what would you do? | 甚至有可能威胁到了他们的生命 你会怎么做 |
[26:12] | To stop them, I mean. | 我指怎么制止他们 |
[26:13] | Objection. The attorney is badgering the witness, | 反对 原告律师在纠缠证人 |
[26:16] | making up hypotheticals. | 作假设性推论 |
[26:17] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[26:18] | Let’s not be hypothetical. | 那么我们就不作假设 |
[26:21] | Let’s get specific. | 让我们更具体些 |
[26:23] | What did you say or do for Lance Briles? | 你对兰斯·布莱欧说或者做了什么 |
[26:27] | Or Ryan Tissen? | 还有对莱恩·蒂森 |
[26:28] | Or Reese Nichols? | 还有对瑞斯·尼克 |
[26:30] | Or for that matter, Antonio Garcia, | 或直接些 对安东尼·加西亚 |
[26:32] | when you discovered that they were getting taller? | 在你发现他们长高了之后 |
[26:34] | Because let’s be honest, | 因为实话实说 |
[26:35] | you can’t get taller and not gain any weight. | 人不可能在增高的情况下不增重 |
[26:37] | Did you tell them | 是你让他们 |
[26:39] | to run behind the team’s bus | 穿着垃圾袋 跟在队车 |
[26:41] | in a garbage bag? | 后面跑的吗 |
[26:48] | Witness will answer the question. | 证人请回答问题 |
[26:50] | Oh, that’s all right. | 好吧 没关系 |
[26:53] | I’m making the coach uncomfortable, | 我的话让教练不舒服了 |
[26:55] | and I don’t want to do that. | 我也不想这么做 |
[26:56] | I withdraw the question. Nothing further. | 我撤回我的提问 质询结束 |
[27:00] | Let’s take a ten-minute recess | 休息十分钟 |
[27:01] | and then continue with defense’s | 然后继续辩方的 |
[27:03] | cross-examination. | 交叉质询 |
[27:06] | Any news on our friend Dr. Barnes? | 我们的朋友巴恩斯医生那有什么进展吗 |
[27:08] | Actually, | 事实上 |
[27:09] | Taylor is waiting outside in the hallway for you. | 泰勒正在走廊外面等你 |
[27:11] | She thinks she found something. | 她觉得她找到了些线索 |
[27:13] | I’ve looked through | 我仔细阅读了 |
[27:14] | everything Dr. Barnes has ever written or said. | 巴恩斯医生写过或者说过的所有东西 |
[27:16] | Every medical journal article, every FDA drug testimonial, | 所有医学期刊文章 所有FDA药物证明 |
[27:20] | every speech, every seminar, every everything. | 所有演讲 研讨会 以及其他 |
[27:22] | And believe it or not, I found nothing about heart murmurs. | 然后难以置信的是 我找不到任何有关异常心音资料 |
[27:26] | How is that possible? | 这怎么可能 |
[27:27] | But when I looked through her corporate accounts, | 不过当我调查她的公司账户时 |
[27:29] | I noticed she almost always tries to time her vacations | 我发现她总是在开办欧洲医学 |
[27:32] | with European medical symposiums. | 专题讨论会时休假 |
[27:35] | And then it occurred to me, could it be that Dr. Barnes | 然后我就想 这有没有可能表明巴恩斯医生 |
[27:38] | offers her opinions and expertise in languages | 在美国之外的地方 |
[27:40] | other than in English and | 用英文之外的语言 |
[27:42] | in countries other than the United States? | 阐述她的意见和专业知识呢 |
[27:44] | Long story long, my three years of high school German paid off. | 我详细说一下 我在德国上的三年高中终于有回报了 |
[27:48] | Dr. Barnes was a speaker at a cardiology trauma convention | 两年前 巴恩斯博士曾在慕尼黑的 |
[27:51] | in Munich two years ago. | 心脏病会议上做过演讲 |
[27:54] | This is a transcript of her speech. | 这是她的一份演讲稿 |
[27:56] | What did it say? | 上面写着什么 |
[27:58] | I’ll spare you my terrible German accent, | 我就不用我的塑料德语毒害你们了 |
[27:59] | but basically, she says that mitral valve murmurs | 但上面大致是说 无论外界因素如何 |
[28:03] | have never… I repeat, never been shown to increase the risk | 从来没有 我重复 从来没有研究表明 |
[28:07] | of myocardial infarctions, | 二尖瓣杂音 |
[28:08] | regardless of other externalities. | 会提高心肌梗塞的风险 |
[28:11] | So in the words of the good doctor, Antonio’s heart murmur | 相当于这个医生亲口说安东尼二尖瓣杂音的问题 |
[28:15] | couldn’t have caused his heart attack. | 不可能使他心脏病发 |
[28:17] | That’s how I read it. | 这上面是这么写的 |
[28:18] | Ooh. Speak of the devil and she will appear. | 说曹操曹操就到了 |
[28:23] | Jason. | 杰森 |
[28:25] | Sandra. | 桑德拉 |
[28:29] | Nice work, Taylor. | 做的好 泰勒 |
[28:31] | This is gonna be fun. | 接下来有意思了 |
[28:33] | So, after examining the original medical reports, | 那么 你在看过安东尼最初的检查报告 |
[28:36] | the toxicology results | 毒理检测报告 |
[28:38] | and Antonio’s personal medical records, | 还有个人体检记录之后 |
[28:41] | what conclusions were you able to draw? | 你得出了什么结论呢 |
[28:43] | Well, the first thing to catch my attention | 最先吸引我注意的是 |
[28:45] | was Antonio’s mitral valve prolapse, his heart murmur. | 二尖瓣脱垂 二尖瓣有杂音的问题 |
[28:49] | That a girl, Sandra. Come on in, the water’s fine. | 对了 桑德拉 快进来我的圈套里 |
[28:51] | Bull, you better watch out. | 布尔 你最好注意点 |
[28:53] | Your smug is showing. | 你有点得意忘形了 |
[28:54] | So, in your expert opinion, | 所以 在你这个专家看来 |
[28:56] | you believe that Antonio’s mitral valve murmur | 安东尼二尖瓣杂音的问题 |
[28:59] | was the cause of his catastrophic | 就是导致他心脏病发的 |
[29:00] | heart event? | 元凶吗 |
[29:02] | Actually, no. | 并不是 |
[29:06] | – No? – No? | – 不是吗 – 不是吗 |
[29:07] | No? | 不是 |
[29:09] | And why is that? | 为什么呢 |
[29:11] | The more I looked at the medical reports, | 我越看尸检报告 |
[29:13] | the more I felt as though something had been overlooked. | 就越觉得有什么被忽略了 |
[29:17] | And then I realized. | 之后我意识到 |
[29:19] | It was lactic acidosis. | 是乳酸中毒 |
[29:21] | Lactic acidosis? | 乳酸中毒吗 |
[29:23] | Could you explain to the jury what that is? | 你能向陪审团解释一下这个词吗 |
[29:25] | Certainly. When the body is under | 当然 当我们的身体像安东尼的身体一样 |
[29:27] | extreme physical exertion, as Antonio’s was, | 处于极大的体力消耗上 并且身体 |
[29:30] | and it can’t get enough oxygen, it looks for alternate sources, | 无法获取足够的氧气时 它就会寻找替代资源 |
[29:34] | alternate pathways to get its energy. | 另一种获取能量的方法 |
[29:36] | Anaerobic pathways. | 那就是无氧呼吸 |
[29:39] | The by-product of this process | 无氧呼吸时 |
[29:40] | is lactic acid. | 会产生乳酸 |
[29:42] | Lactic acidosis is simply when this lactic acid | 乳酸中毒指的就是乳酸 |
[29:45] | enters the bloodstream. | 进入了血管内 |
[29:47] | And why is this important? | 这个过程有什么重要的呢 |
[29:48] | Because in certain cases, lactic acidosis can interfere | 因为在特殊情况下 |
[29:52] | with a standard toxicology test. | 乳酸中毒会影响毒理测试的结果 |
[29:55] | Like the one performed during the autopsy | 就像这次 我们是在乳酸中毒的情况下 |
[29:57] | in this case. | 进行的尸检 |
[29:59] | So I had some of the samples rerun at a private lab. | 所以我让一间私人实验室再次检测了样本 |
[30:03] | And what were those results? | 那结果是什么 |
[30:04] | Objection, Your Honor. | 我反对 法官大人 |
[30:05] | This is the first we’ve heard of these tests. | 我们之前从未听说过这些测试 |
[30:07] | I’m going to allow this. | 我允许提出新证据 |
[30:08] | But I’ll make sure you have ample time | 但我会确保你们有足够时间 |
[30:10] | to conduct any confirmations that you need, Counselor. | 对新证据进行质疑和确认 辩护人 |
[30:13] | – Overruled. – And what | – 抗议无效 – 那么 |
[30:14] | did these new tests show? | 新的测试有什么结果呢 |
[30:17] | They showed that Antonio was using amphetamines | 测试表明安东尼死前 |
[30:20] | at the time of his death. | 曾服用过安非他命 |
[30:25] | Now, how big a factor would these amphetamines be | 安非他命这么细小的因素 |
[30:28] | in causing Antonio’s heart attack? | 怎么可能和安东尼心脏病发有关系呢 |
[30:30] | Enormous. | 关系大了 |
[30:31] | In my opinion, it’s the amphetamines that killed him. | 在我看来 杀死安东尼的元凶正是它 |
[30:44] | She’s wrong. Antonio would not use drugs. | 她说的不对 安东尼不会吸毒的 |
[30:47] | I know my son. | 我很了解我儿子 |
[30:50] | We could go to another lab. | 我们可以再让另一间实验室检测一次 |
[30:53] | An independent lab. | 一间独立的实验室 |
[30:54] | See if we get a different result. | 看能不能得到不同的结果 |
[30:56] | Benny, you don’t understand. | 你不明白 本尼 |
[30:59] | My boy, he grew up around drugs. | 我的孩子是伴随毒品长大的 |
[31:03] | Where we live, there are drugs everywhere. | 我们居住的地方 毒品泛滥 |
[31:05] | He grew up stepping over strung out junkies on the sidewalk. | 他走过的人行道边都躺着瘾君子 |
[31:10] | Does anybody honestly believe | 如果说安东尼 |
[31:11] | that my boy would put in all this hard work to get | 他竭尽全力 就为了挤进 |
[31:14] | to go to a place like Dartwell | 达威尔之类的学校 |
[31:16] | and then just throw it all away just to get high? | 成功之后却满脑子都是吸毒 你能相信吗 |
[31:18] | I don’t think they think it’s about getting high. | 我认为这和吸毒无关 |
[31:22] | Athletes have been known to use amphetamines to train harder, | 运动员使用安非他命可以提高训练强度 |
[31:25] | to train longer, to push themselves further. | 延长训练时间 从而提升自己 |
[31:27] | Especially boxers and wrestlers. | 尤其是拳击和摔跤运动员 |
[31:30] | Athletes looking to cut weight. | 想要减重的运动员 |
[31:34] | Well, then they made him do it, | 那也是他被逼得没有办法了 |
[31:36] | because my son would never do that unless somebody made him! | 除非有人逼他 否则我儿子根本不会这样做 |
[31:47] | I think she’s had enough. | 我觉得她受够了 |
[31:49] | I think we’ve all had enough. | 我们都受够了 |
[31:53] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[31:54] | She’ll just keep fighting and fighting till it kills her. | 她会一直和这事死磕 直到这件事毁了她 |
[32:00] | Or kills us. | 或者我们 |
[32:04] | He was her everything. | 儿子对她来说就是全世界 |
[32:08] | He was my everything, too. | 他也是我的全世界 |
[32:11] | But the longer I think about it, | 但我越想越觉得 |
[32:13] | Antonio would’ve done anything to stay in that school. | 安东尼为了留在学校 是有可能这样做的 |
[32:19] | What are you trying to tell us? | 你想告诉我们的是 |
[32:22] | Tell them we’ll sign the agreement now. | 告诉他们 我们同意签订协议 |
[32:28] | She’ll hate me for the rest of our lives together, | 在我们以后的日子里 她会恨我 |
[32:30] | but I’ll hate me if I don’t put a stop to this. | 但如果我不阻止这一切 我也会恨我自己 |
[32:34] | – Manuel… – Look, | – 曼维尔… – 听着 |
[32:35] | I know money won’t bring back our son, | 我知道钱不能让我们的儿子回来 |
[32:37] | but at least it’ll give Claudia time to not work. | 但至少它能给克劳迪亚不上班 |
[32:41] | Time to heal. | 恢复伤口的时间 |
[32:44] | Mr. Garcia, I sympathize. | 我很同情您 加西亚先生 |
[32:47] | But at the moment, they’re winning. | 但就目前来说 他们赢了 |
[32:49] | There’s no reason for them to settle. | 他们不可能选择妥协 |
[32:51] | And a “Not liable” Verdict is gonna go a long way | 而且一个无责的判决 |
[32:53] | to restoring their reputation. | 对他们恢复名声也不利 |
[32:55] | Also, there’s nothing | 还有 没有 |
[32:57] | I can do without Mrs. Garcia signing off. | 加西亚女士的签名 我也不能退出 |
[33:00] | You filed suit together. | 你们是一起提出上诉的 |
[33:03] | There’s no way for me to negotiate a settlement | 没有她的同意 我也不能 |
[33:05] | without her approval, too. | 随便决定解决方法 |
[33:08] | More? | 居然还有吗 |
[33:10] | Employment records for everyone in the athletic department | 这是过去七年里 |
[33:12] | for the last seven years. | 每个运动员的受雇记录 |
[33:14] | Every notation, every complaint. | 所有的注释还有投诉记录 |
[33:17] | If there’s any history of amphetamine use | 如果有人使用过安非他命 |
[33:18] | in that department, I have to believe I will find it here. | 我只能期待这里是有记录的 |
[33:21] | What are you two up to? | 你们俩在干什么 |
[33:23] | Taylor got me into Antonio’s e-mails for the last two years. | 泰勒给我看了安东尼过去两年的邮件 |
[33:26] | I’m-I’m looking for something, anything. | 我在寻找一些证据 任何证据 |
[33:29] | I’m going through the social media accounts | 我在看达威尔的每个摔跤运动员的 |
[33:31] | of every wrestler at Dartwell, and by the way, | 社交账号记录 说句闲话 |
[33:33] | teenage boys need to be rounded up and kept under lock and key | 二十岁之前的青春期男孩们应该被 |
[33:35] | until their early 20s. | 集中起来关在笼子里 |
[33:37] | Oh, man. | 天啊 |
[33:39] | Hey, if I want to print something out, | 如果我想打印点东西 |
[33:41] | do I do it the regular way | 非法的文件 |
[33:42] | even though this is kind of a bootlegged file? | 也是像平时那样打印吗 |
[33:44] | Just press Command-P, | 按系统键和P键 |
[33:45] | and it will be waiting for you in the printer. | 然后去打印机拿就行了 |
[33:50] | Good talking to you. | 和你说话很高兴 |
[33:55] | Yes. Oh, yes. | 是的 当然了 |
[33:57] | Sure. Send him in. | 当然 让他进来 |
[34:00] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[34:01] | You come by to give me a progress report on the trial, | 你来是为了告诉我庭审的进度 |
[34:04] | or did someone catch you smoking out behind the field house? | 还是有人看见你在更衣室外抽烟了 |
[34:06] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你怎么没告诉我 |
[34:08] | Tell you what? | 告诉你什么 |
[34:10] | Been going through some of Antonio’s e-mails. | 我看过安东尼的邮件了 |
[34:14] | Found this one, from you. | 我找到了你写给他的这封邮件 |
[34:18] | “Antonio, | “安东尼 |
[34:19] | “I want to make sure that I was crystal clear | 我想确保我们今天的谈话中 |
[34:20] | “In our meeting earlier today. | 我完全说清楚了 |
[34:22] | “What you are doing is not only unfair and unsportsmanlike, | 你所做的不仅是不公平的 也不是一个运动员会做的事 |
[34:25] | “It is extraordinarily dangerous, | 这是非常危险的 |
[34:27] | “As well as grounds for expulsion. | 同时足以让校方开除你 |
[34:30] | “I told you that your secret | 我告诉你了你的秘密 |
[34:32] | “Was safe with me, but only if you stayed true | 在我这里很安全 但前提是你 |
[34:34] | “To your promise and never again repeat | 保持你的承诺并且 |
[34:36] | this behavior as long as you are a student at Dartwell.” | 只要你还是达威尔的学生就不要重蹈覆辙” |
[34:40] | You knew that that boy was taking drugs? | 你知道那个孩子在用药吗 |
[34:43] | You wrote this three weeks before he died! | 你在他死前三周前写的这个 |
[34:45] | Yes, but that didn’t have anything | 是 但这和他的死 |
[34:47] | to do with his death, did it? | 没有任何关系 不是吗 |
[34:49] | I mean, I got him to stop, Chunk. | 我让他停下了 特朗科 |
[34:51] | That’s why I wrote the e-mail. | 这就是我写了邮件的原因 |
[34:53] | Okay, the medical report… | 好吧 医学报告… |
[34:54] | The one I read said that kid was clean when he died! | 我读的那个报告写着那孩子死时没用药 |
[34:57] | The school just ordered a new toxicology report, Reggie. | 学校刚刚申请了新的毒理检查 雷吉 |
[35:00] | Antonio was using amphetamines when he collapsed. | 安东尼昏倒时用了兴奋剂 |
[35:08] | Oh, man. | 天啊 |
[35:16] | I’m sorry, Chunk. | 我很抱歉 特朗科 |
[35:19] | I would’ve never reached out to you had I known… | 如果我知道的话我是不会找到你的… |
[35:24] | How did you find out? | 你怎么发现的 |
[35:27] | I guessed. | 我猜的 |
[35:29] | And then he-he fessed up. | 然后他自己承认了 |
[35:32] | That kid, | 那孩子 |
[35:34] | he would come here all the time, Chunk. | 他总是来这里 特朗科 |
[35:37] | All he wanted to talk about | 他只想谈 |
[35:39] | was how he was terrified that he wasn’t gonna make weight. | 他害怕自己达不到标准体重 |
[35:42] | You see, in his mind, | 在他脑海中 |
[35:44] | if he didn’t make weight, he couldn’t wrestle. | 如果他达不到标准体重 他就没法摔跤 |
[35:46] | And if couldn’t wrestle, then they’d take his scholarship, | 如果他没法摔跤 他们就会拿走他的奖学金 |
[35:49] | so he’d have to leave school. | 他就得离开学校 |
[35:51] | Right? | 是吧 |
[35:53] | But you know, he was, he was sweaty, he was jittery. | 但你知道吗 他 他一直出汗 紧张不安 |
[35:55] | So I knew he was on something. | 我就知道了他有问题 |
[35:57] | And… I made him promise he was done. | 然后… 我让他保证他再也不用了 |
[36:01] | And you just took him at his word? | 你就这么相信了他吗 |
[36:03] | He’s 16. He thinks his life is on the line. | 他才十六岁 他觉得自己的一生都陷入了危机 |
[36:06] | How could you just leave it at that?! | 你怎么能就这么算了呢 |
[36:08] | I didn’t. Yes, I didn’t tell anyone in the administration, | 我没有 没错 我没告诉任何管理部门的人 |
[36:11] | but I did tell the one person in this school | 但我告诉了这个学校 |
[36:14] | who I thought could make him stop. | 我认为唯一能阻止他的人 |
[36:16] | I told Coach Davis. | 我告诉了达维斯教练 |
[36:26] | Okay, Counselors, we will proceed to final arguments. | 好了 律师们 我们继续最后的辩驳 |
[36:29] | Actually, Your Honor, if I may, | 事实上 法官大人 如果可以的话 |
[36:32] | the plaintiffs would like to recall | 原告想要重新 |
[36:34] | defendant Wayne Davis to the stand. | 请被告韦恩·达维斯作证 |
[36:36] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[36:37] | The defendant has already testified, | 被告已经作过证了 |
[36:39] | and the plaintiff has rested. | 原告也已经结束询问了 |
[36:41] | In light of the testimony of Dr. Barnes, new evidence | 由于巴恩斯医生的证词 我们发现了 |
[36:44] | has been discovered that we did not have the chance | 之前没有机会使用的 |
[36:47] | to introduce earlier. | 新证据 |
[36:50] | All right, Mr. Colon. I’ll allow it. | 好吧 科隆先生 我允许 |
[36:57] | I want to remind you that you remain under oath. | 我想提醒一下你现在仍是宣过誓的 |
[37:01] | You may proceed. | 你可以继续了 |
[37:03] | Now, Coach Davis, | 好了 达维斯教练 |
[37:05] | I’m assuming your team, | 我猜测你的队伍 |
[37:08] | your school, has some sort of policy | 你的学校 关于药物 |
[37:09] | in place with regard to drugs. | 是有政策的吧 |
[37:11] | Would you mind sharing that with us? | 你愿意跟我们分享一下吗 |
[37:13] | Uh, it’s simple. No drugs allowed. | 很简单 不允许使用药物 |
[37:15] | Okay. | 好 |
[37:16] | And what if one of your wrestlers | 如果你的一位摔跤选手 |
[37:18] | were to violate that rule? | 违反了这个规则呢 |
[37:19] | Uh, immediate suspension. | 立刻离队 |
[37:21] | Pretty straightforward. | 很直接 |
[37:23] | So let me ask you a question. | 那我来问你一个问题 |
[37:24] | You ever drug test Antonio Garcia? | 你有没有对安东尼·加西亚进行过药物检测 |
[37:27] | No. | 没有 |
[37:29] | I don’t test my wrestlers unless I have a reason | 除非我有原因怀疑 |
[37:31] | to suspect something’s going on. | 不然我不会测试我的摔跤选手 |
[37:33] | Now, when you say “Reason to suspect something,” | 那么 当你说”有原因怀疑”的时候 |
[37:36] | I’m guessing you mean unusual behavior. | 我猜测你是指不正常的行为 |
[37:39] | Absences, maybe even a worried teammate? | 缺勤 或者有担忧的队员之类的吗 |
[37:41] | Yeah, sure. Any of those. | 对 任何之一 |
[37:43] | Now, Coach Davis, do you recall | 那达维斯教练 你记得 |
[37:45] | a conversation you had with Reggie Baumann, | 你和雷吉·鲍曼 |
[37:48] | one of the school’s guidance counselors, | 学校的心理指导 |
[37:49] | about Antonio Garcia | 在安东尼·加西亚 |
[37:51] | that took place about two weeks prior to his death? | 死前两周时有过的一段对话吗 |
[38:05] | It’s hard to say | 在不知道 |
[38:07] | without knowing more about the conversation. | 对话内容的情况下很难说 |
[38:09] | Of course. My mistake. | 当然 是我的错 |
[38:11] | Let me be more specific. | 我来说的具体一点 |
[38:13] | Let me see if this will jog your memory. | 看看能否让你回忆起来 |
[38:15] | Do you recall the conversation you had where Reggie Baumann | 你记得你和雷吉·鲍曼谈话时 |
[38:19] | told you that Antonio was taking amphetamines | 他告诉你安东尼在吃兴奋剂 |
[38:22] | to drop weight in order for him | 来减重 |
[38:24] | to be able to wrestle in the slot | 从而得到摔跤位置 |
[38:26] | that would be | 而这样 |
[38:28] | most advantageous for you and the team? | 对你和你的队伍十分有利吗 |
[38:31] | You told Mr. Baumann that you’d take care of it. | 你告诉鲍曼先生你会处理的 |
[38:34] | That ring a bell? | 想起来了吗 |
[38:37] | The witness will answer the question. | 证人请回答问题 |
[38:47] | On advice of counsel, I refuse to answer, | 根据律师的建议 我拒绝回答 |
[38:51] | and invoke my Fifth Amendment privilege. | 并使用我的第五缄默权 |
[38:58] | You didn’t take care of it, did you, Coach Davis? | 你没有处理 是不是 达维斯教练 |
[39:01] | You didn’t confront Antonio Garcia, | 你没有找安东尼·加西亚谈话 |
[39:04] | a minor in your custody, | 一个在你管理下的 |
[39:05] | about his amphetamine use, did you? | 有兴奋剂使用问题的年轻人 是不是 |
[39:08] | Because that would have meant you would have had to bench him. | 因为这就代表你必须让他当后补 |
[39:11] | No. Instead you made him run behind the team bus | 不 你却让他跟在队车后面 |
[39:14] | because you needed him to compete | 因为你需要他去比赛 |
[39:16] | if you had any chance of making state. | 这样你才有机会打进国家级比赛 |
[39:18] | If you had any hope of salvaging the season. | 如果你想要拯救这个赛季 |
[39:21] | If you had any chance of keeping your job. | 如果你想留住你的工作的话 |
[39:23] | Isn’t that what happened here? | 不是这样吗 |
[39:25] | Again, uh, I’m afraid I’m gonna have to plead the Fifth. | 我还是要使用我的第五缄默权 |
[39:39] | We the jury find the defendants, | 我们陪审团认为被告 |
[39:42] | Wayne Davis and Dartwell Preparatory School, | 韦恩·达维斯和达威尔预备学校 |
[39:45] | liable for the wrongful death of Antonio Garcia. | 应对安东尼·加西亚的意外猝死负责 |
[39:53] | We the jury award compensatory damages | 我们陪审团给予原告 |
[39:56] | in the amount of $300,000 to the plaintiff. | 三十万美元补偿性赔偿 |
[40:00] | Wha… That is less than the settlement offer. | 什么 这比庭外和解还少 |
[40:03] | But wait, there’s more. | 但等等 还有呢 |
[40:04] | In addition, | 此外 |
[40:05] | we the jury also award punitive damages | 我们陪审团还给予 |
[40:08] | in the amount of $5 million. | 五百万美元的惩罚性赔偿 |
[40:34] | All right. | 好了 |
[40:36] | Here we go. | 来吧 |
[40:42] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[40:44] | Oh, look. | 看啊 |
[40:46] | You gave birth to a sporting good. | 你生了一个球 |
[40:50] | What do you got, a Wilson? A Spalding? | 名字是什么 威尔逊 还是斯波尔丁 |
[40:54] | Can I help you? | 我能帮你吗 |
[40:55] | Just thought you should know, I just heard from Reggie. | 就想跟你说一声 我从雷吉那儿听说 |
[40:58] | The school officially fired Coach Davis. | 学校正式开除了达维斯教练 |
[41:00] | Sounds like the police department is opening up | 看起来警察也开始 |
[41:02] | a criminal investigation as well. | 重新进行刑事调查了 |
[41:04] | Hmm. And how’s your friend Reggie doing? | 你朋友雷吉怎么样了 |
[41:10] | He tendered his letter of resignation today. | 他今天交了辞职信 |
[41:12] | Said he feels like he failed Antonio. | 说他觉得自己让安东尼失望了 |
[41:16] | Well, let him know he did his best. | 让他知道他尽力了 |
[41:18] | I did. And I will. | 说了 我会再告诉他的 |
[41:21] | And I appreciate you and the firm diving in like you did. | 我很感谢你和公司的参与 |
[41:25] | Even though there wasn’t | 即使大家都 |
[41:26] | necessarily anything in it for you. For any of us. | 不会有任何回报 |
[41:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[41:32] | Getting ready to be a dad. | 准备当爸爸了 |
[41:35] | Trying to build some good karma. | 试图攒人品 |
[41:37] | I hear you. | 我懂 |
[41:39] | Hey. Let me play with Bull Junior. | 来 让我和小布尔来一局 |
[41:47] | Okay, I’d like my boy back, please. | 好了 请把我儿子还给我 |
[41:49] | Are you sure you can handle this? | 你确定你搞得定吗 |
[41:53] | It’s like looking in a mirror. | 就像照镜子一样 |
[41:57] | Nice. | 不错 |