时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:17] | It’s slippery. Watch your step. | 地上滑 小心点 |
[00:19] | You’re good. I got you. I got you. | 没事 我扶着你呢 |
[00:20] | – All right. – Okay, okay. | – 好的 – 好了好了 |
[00:21] | – Everything’s in the bag? – Yeah. Got it all. Got it all. | – 东西全放袋子里了吗 – 对 全放好了 |
[00:23] | – Are you sure? – Yep. | – 你确定吗 – 当然 |
[00:24] | Oh, my God. Oh, my God. Oh, my God. | 我的天 我的天 我的天哪 |
[00:26] | All right, there you go. | 没事的 坐进去吧 |
[00:27] | We’re close. | 很快就到了 |
[00:30] | You’re good. | 没事的 |
[00:31] | All right. | 好的 |
[00:36] | You’re almost there. I can see the baby’s head. | 快了快了 我都看见婴儿的头了 |
[00:38] | – I can’t do this anymore. – Yes, you can. | – 我不行了 – 你行的 |
[00:41] | – You’ve got this, babe. – No, I don’t! | – 你做得到 宝贝 – 我不行 |
[00:42] | Yes, you do. No. | 你可以的 |
[00:43] | Just listen to the doctor. We’re almost done. | 医生说你快成功了 |
[00:45] | Elisabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[00:46] | Concentrate. | 集中精神 |
[00:47] | With the next contraction, I need you to push | 下次宫缩时 我需要你 |
[00:49] | with all your might. You do that, | 使出全力 然后你就能 |
[00:51] | and then you get to meet your baby. | 跟宝宝见面了 |
[00:52] | – That’s what you said the last time. – Okay. | – 你上次也是这么说的 – 好了 |
[00:53] | Here we go. | 来吧 |
[00:59] | It’s a boy. | 是个男孩 |
[01:05] | What’s wrong? Is something wrong? | 怎么了 哪里不对吗 |
[01:07] | Something wrong with the baby? | 孩子怎么了 |
[01:08] | No, no. He’s perfectly healthy. | 不不 他很健康 |
[01:11] | Okay. | 太好了 |
[01:14] | Oh, baby. | 我的孩子 |
[01:26] | Miles, you’re not, you’re not saying anything. | 迈尔斯 你怎么不说话 |
[01:28] | Why… why aren’t you saying anything? | 为什么… 为什么不说话 |
[01:31] | Uh, he’s beautiful. | 他很帅气 |
[01:35] | It’s just he’s brown. | 只是有点黑 |
[01:39] | What? | 什么 |
[01:46] | Oh, my God, Elisabeth, he is so adorable. | 天啊 伊丽莎白 他太可爱了 |
[01:48] | He is, isn’t he? | 是啊 |
[01:51] | How’s Miles holding up? | 迈尔斯怎么样了 |
[01:53] | Miles is having a tough time. | 不怎么好 |
[01:56] | I mean, he loves him. | 我是说 他爱孩子 |
[01:57] | But he’s… | 但他… |
[01:59] | It’s been difficult with his family. | 跟家里不太好交代 |
[02:01] | The guys at work. | 同事们也是 |
[02:03] | You probably noticed we didn’t put Joseph’s picture | 你可能注意到了 出生的时候我们都没有 |
[02:05] | on the birthday announcement. | 放乔瑟夫的照片 |
[02:07] | We didn’t even talk about it. | 我们跟 谁都没提这茬 |
[02:09] | I just showed him a card without a picture, and he went, | 我就给他看了一张没有照片的卡片 |
[02:11] | “Yeah, that’s great.” | 然后他说 太好了 |
[02:12] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[02:14] | I brought him to school, | 上周我把他带去学校 |
[02:15] | showed him to my second graders last week. | 给我二年级的学生们看 |
[02:18] | What an age. | 多好的年纪啊 |
[02:20] | Yeah, nobody asks questions, nobody judges. | 没人提问 没人评判 |
[02:22] | They just want to know if he can have candy yet. | 他们只关心 他现在能不能吃糖了 |
[02:26] | Yes, you. | 是你啊 |
[02:28] | Yes, you. | 是你啊 |
[02:30] | Oh, my love. | 我的宝贝啊 |
[02:32] | Thanks so much for coming. | 真感谢你来 |
[02:33] | I know I sort of | 我知道我有段时间 |
[02:35] | fell off the face of the Earth there for a while. | 有点人间蒸发了 |
[02:37] | No, I was thrilled when you called. | 不 你打电话来我很激动 |
[02:38] | I was thrilled when you said yes. | 你答应的时候我也很激动 |
[02:41] | But… I have an ulterior motive. | 但是… 我还有个目的 |
[02:45] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[02:47] | You’ve probably figured this out already, | 你可能已经猜到了 |
[02:49] | but little Joseph here, | 但是小乔瑟夫 |
[02:50] | he didn’t happen without some help. | 他的出生是借助了他人帮助的 |
[02:53] | I know you know Miles and I were trying for years; | 你知道 迈尔斯和我尝试了很多年 |
[02:56] | finally started doing the fertility clinic thing. | 最终在生育诊所寻求帮助 |
[02:58] | Lots of almosts, couple of outright failures, too. | 经历了很多”差点儿” 一些彻底失败 |
[03:02] | And of course, one fantastic, | 当然了 还有一个神奇的 |
[03:04] | thrilling success. | 激动人心的成功 |
[03:08] | Unfortunately, in the process of arriving at that success, | 不幸的是 在取得成功的过程中 |
[03:13] | the clinic, apparently, mistakenly, | 这家诊所显然 |
[03:16] | used another patient’s sperm. | 误用了另一位病人的精子 |
[03:20] | I-I called because I remembered | 我打电话是因为我记得 |
[03:22] | you work at a law firm now. | 你现在在一家律师事务所工作 |
[03:23] | Well, actually, it’s a trial science firm. | 实际上 是家审判科学公司 |
[03:26] | But there are lawyers there, right? | 但是那里有律师 对吧 |
[03:28] | Yes. There are lawyers. | 是的 是有律师 |
[03:31] | Good. ‘Cause I need one. | 太好了 因为我正需要一个 |
[03:33] | I just want to be clear. | 我想说清楚 |
[03:35] | I love my son. | 我爱我的儿子 |
[03:37] | I thank God every day for my son. | 我每天都感谢上帝把他带给我 |
[03:38] | And we are both incredibly grateful for this gift. | 我们都非常感激这份礼物 |
[03:42] | Duly noted. | 注意到了 |
[03:43] | So… what is it you want to achieve by suing the clinic? | 所以… 你想通过起诉诊所达到什么目的呢 |
[03:47] | Well, first and foremost, we want to make sure | 首先 我们要确保 |
[03:50] | this doesn’t happen to anyone else. | 这事不会发生在其他人身上 |
[03:52] | I mean… our son has a stranger’s DNA. | 我是说… 我们的儿子有一个陌生人的DNA |
[03:56] | We-we really feel like we’re in a blind spot | 我们真的觉得我们 |
[03:59] | regarding so many things: I mean, medical history, | 在很多事情上都处于盲区 |
[04:01] | intellectual aptitudes, social challenges. | 比如 病史 智力 社会挑战 |
[04:04] | We’re not wealthy people. | 我们不是有钱人 |
[04:05] | I work in construction, | 我从事建筑行业 |
[04:07] | my wife’s a second grade teacher. | 我妻子是二年级老师 |
[04:08] | All right, for six years, we poured every cent we had | 六年了 我们为了怀孕 |
[04:11] | in trying to get pregnant. | 倾家荡产 |
[04:12] | Took out loans. | 我们贷款 |
[04:13] | We’re in debt up to our eyeballs. | 已经负债累累 |
[04:16] | And we did it all so we could have a child together. | 我们这样做是为了能有个孩子 |
[04:20] | T-Together. | 我们的孩子 |
[04:22] | You know what I mean. | 你知道我什么意思 |
[04:23] | So, | 所以 |
[04:25] | in addition to putting the clinic on notice | 除了让诊所意识到错误 |
[04:26] | so it cleans up its act | 修正自己的行为 |
[04:27] | and doesn’t make this kind of mistake again, | 不会再犯之外 |
[04:29] | you also want to recover some of the costs | 你还想要回 |
[04:31] | associated with your treatments, | 一些治疗费用 |
[04:33] | because, while you are thrilled to have baby Joseph, | 因为 虽然你们很高兴有了小乔瑟夫 |
[04:37] | it was not the outcome you were promised. | 但这并不是他们承诺的结果 |
[04:39] | Exactly. | 完全正确 |
[04:41] | I have to warn you | 我得警告你们 |
[04:42] | that reproductive negligence cases can be very tricky. | 生育过失案件可能会很棘手 |
[04:45] | Juries have a hard time ruling in the plaintiff’s favor | 陪审团很难做出有利于原告的判决 |
[04:48] | when they’ve walked away | 毕竟原告得到的婴儿 |
[04:49] | with a healthy baby. | 身体健全 |
[04:54] | Well, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. | 好吧 我们先别想太多 |
[04:57] | I don’t know that this is necessarily ever gonna see | 现在还不知道这有无必要 |
[04:59] | the inside of a courtroom. | 上法庭 |
[05:01] | Let me call the clinic on your behalf, | 我代表你们给诊所打电话 |
[05:02] | see if we can’t get their lawyers over here | 看我们能不能让他们的律师过来 |
[05:05] | and… figure this out the old-fashioned way: | 用老办法解决问题 |
[05:08] | across a table, with lots of coffee | 隔着桌子聊聊 多喝几杯咖啡 |
[05:11] | and some bathroom breaks. | 多上几趟厕所 |
[05:14] | You keep wanting to look past | 你总想忽略我的客户 |
[05:16] | the fact that my clients have clear evidence. | 有确凿证据的这一事实 |
[05:18] | I’m not looking past anything. | 我没忽略任何事 |
[05:20] | The clinic has already admitted fault here. | 诊所已经承认了错误 |
[05:23] | They’ve tightened up | 他们已经加强实践 |
[05:24] | their practices and added | 并增加了 |
[05:26] | new security safeguards. | 新的安全保障措施 |
[05:27] | They’ve sent letters to all of their clients | 他们给所有客户都发了信息 |
[05:29] | informing them of this incident. | 告知此事 |
[05:31] | And now they’re offering free DNA testing | 现在他们给所有担心自己可能是 |
[05:34] | to any new parents who worry | 受害者的新生父母们 |
[05:36] | that they may also be victims of this mishap. | 提供免费的DNA检测 |
[05:39] | Which is all well and good for the clinic, | 对诊所来说很好 |
[05:41] | but we’re here to try and help the McConnells. | 但我们是来帮助麦康纳尔夫妇的 |
[05:44] | Of course. | 当然 |
[05:46] | And after much consideration and conversation, | 经过深思熟虑和讨论 |
[05:49] | the clinic would like to offer the McConnells | 诊所愿意向麦康纳尔夫妇 |
[05:52] | their sincerest apology and a check for $40,000 | 致以最诚挚的歉意 以及四万美元支票 |
[05:56] | as reimbursement for the round of IVF | 作为不符合规定的 |
[06:00] | that didn’t follow protocol. | 体外受精的赔偿 |
[06:03] | I’m sorry, but that number doesn’t even begin | 不好意思 这点钱甚至够不上零头吧 |
[06:05] | to take into account that this “Round of IVF” | 你所说的”这轮不符规定的体外受精程序” |
[06:08] | that did not follow protocol resulted in a child | 导致了麦康纳尔的孩子没能拥有 |
[06:10] | that does not share Miles McConnell’s DNA, | 夫妻俩的DNA |
[06:13] | and could be prone to a host of genetic anomalies | 而且还可能出现很多让我的客户 |
[06:16] | that my clients are not prepared for, | 措手不及的基因异常问题 |
[06:18] | an outcome for which they paid over $400,000. | 他们当初可是花费了四十万美元 |
[06:20] | Or we could just go to court. | 或者我们可以直接上法庭 |
[06:23] | But let’s be honest. | 但说实话 |
[06:25] | We all know the clinic doesn’t want this to become | 我们都知道诊所并不希望这件事变成 |
[06:27] | an ugly public trial. | 一场难堪的公开诉讼 |
[06:29] | Win, lose or draw, | 无论赢输 或者撤诉 |
[06:31] | it’s gonna irreparably tarnish their reputation. | 都将对公司的声誉造成不可挽回的损伤 |
[06:33] | And most likely, kill their business. | 更有可能 公司会再无生意可做 |
[06:35] | Give me a number. | 说个数吧 |
[06:37] | I would say reimbursing the McConnells | 我觉得返还麦康纳尔家 |
[06:39] | their entire $400,000 | 全部的四十万美元 |
[06:40] | and adding another 400,000 for pain and suffering | 再加四十万美元的赔偿费用 |
[06:43] | would be a fair number, wouldn’t you? | 这样比较合理 你觉得呢 |
[06:45] | I’m not authorized to go above 400,000. | 超过四十万美元 我没有权利接受 |
[06:48] | Well, then, we have a problem, | 那我们就有麻烦了 |
[06:50] | because I’m not authorized to accept less than a million. | 少于一百万美元我是不接受的 |
[06:52] | Wait a second. You just said 800,000. | 等等 你刚才说的不是八十万美元吗 |
[06:54] | Yes. That was two minutes ago. | 是的 那是两分钟前说的 |
[06:55] | And now I said a million. | 现在我要一百万美元 |
[06:57] | And in another two minutes, I’m gonna say a million five. | 再过两分钟 我可能会要一百五十万美元 |
[06:59] | Are you sensing the pattern here? | 你看到这种趋势了吗 |
[07:01] | Let me make a call. | 等我打个电话 |
[07:02] | You make a call. | 你打电话吧 |
[07:09] | Uh, f… four hundred thousand would honestly plenty. | 四… 四十万真的已经够了 |
[07:11] | That doesn’t even get you out of the financial hole you’re in. | 四十万都不能让你们摆脱财务困境 |
[07:14] | B… But it helps. I mean, we should just take it. | 但起码能有些帮助 也许我们该接受四十万 |
[07:16] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[07:17] | Benny, would you explain to our clients | 本尼 可以麻烦你向我们的客户解释一下 |
[07:19] | how the game is played? | 这个游戏是怎么玩的吗 |
[07:20] | Mm. You know the only thing better | 你们知道比六位数字的和解费 |
[07:22] | than a six-figure settlement? | 更好的选择是什么吗 |
[07:25] | A million dollars. | 一百万美元 |
[07:26] | I… I don’t think my brain can count that high. | 我… 我都数不了那么多位数 |
[07:29] | Taylor, thank you. | 泰勒 谢谢你 |
[07:31] | And thank you both. | 谢谢你们两位 |
[07:33] | It’s our pleasure. | 不用谢 |
[07:34] | Oh, any friends of Taylor’s are friends of ours. | 泰勒的朋友就是我们的朋友 |
[07:36] | Are you Miles? Miles McConnell? | 你是迈尔斯·麦康纳尔吗 |
[07:38] | Yeah, maybe. Who’s asking? | 是的 什么事 |
[07:40] | You’ve been served. | 你被传唤了 |
[07:46] | What is it? | 这是什么 |
[07:48] | Mind if I take a look at it? | 能让我看看吗 |
[07:53] | It’s a paternity petition | 这是一位名叫罗德克·沃顿的先生 |
[07:55] | from a man named Roderick Walton. | 提出的亲子鉴定申请 |
[07:58] | Okay, what does this mean? | 这是什么意思 |
[08:00] | It means he believes | 意味着 |
[08:02] | he’s your son’s biological father, | 他认为自己才是你们儿子的亲生父亲 |
[08:03] | and he’s suing you for custody. | 他为了孩子监护权而起诉你 |
[08:17] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[08:23] | In the matter of Walton v. McConnell, | 就沃顿与麦康纳尔一案 |
[08:26] | in light of the recent paternity test, | 根据最新的亲子鉴定结果 |
[08:29] | there can be no doubt that Mr. Roderick Walton | 表明罗德克·沃顿 |
[08:32] | is indeed the biological father of Joseph Patrick McConnell. | 确实是约瑟夫·派·麦康纳尔的生父 |
[08:36] | Therefore, | 因此 |
[08:38] | Mr. Walton does have a legal claim to the child. | 沃顿先生在法律上对孩子有监护权 |
[08:43] | I have to say I have never encountered | 我不得不承认 |
[08:44] | a situation like this before. | 我从未遇见过这样的案例 |
[08:47] | Under the circumstances, | 在此情况下 |
[08:49] | it would be my strenuous recommendation that both parties | 我强烈建议双方 |
[08:53] | and their counsel meet with me | 还有双方的代表律师 |
[08:54] | in chambers to discuss | 到我房间来讨论 |
[08:56] | a joint custody resolution. | 共同监护权的问题 |
[08:57] | Your Honor, just to be clear, | 法官大人 先说清楚 |
[08:59] | as the only parents this child has ever known, | 麦康纳尔夫妻是孩子所知的唯一父母 |
[09:02] | the McConnells believe it is their right and duty | 他们有权利和义务 |
[09:05] | to retain sole custody. | 保留单一监护权 |
[09:06] | Your Honor, also in the interest of clarity, | 法官大人 同样事先声明 |
[09:10] | my clients believe it is their right | 我的当事人也认为 |
[09:12] | and their duty to demand full custody as well. | 保留唯一监护权是他们的权利和义务 |
[09:15] | I beg your pardon, but I gave birth to this baby. | 你再说一遍 这孩子可是我生的 |
[09:18] | Benny’s got this. It’s okay. | 本尼能搞定 没事的 |
[09:20] | Your Honor, my client, | 法官大人 我的当事人 |
[09:22] | Elisabeth McConnell, carried Joseph for nine months. | 伊丽莎白·麦康纳尔 怀胎九月 |
[09:26] | They shared a heartbeat. She birthed him. | 他们共享心跳 她生下了约瑟夫 |
[09:28] | She’s been nursing him | 自从他出生的第一天 |
[09:29] | – since the day he was born. – Your Honor, | – 她就开始看护他 – 法官大人 |
[09:32] | my wife and I wish | 我和我的太太 |
[09:33] | we had had all of those experiences. | 也希望能有所有的这些经历 |
[09:36] | The pregnancy, the birth, | 怀孕 生产 |
[09:38] | the months of sleepless unconditional love. | 几个月不能睡觉却无条件的爱 |
[09:42] | But Samara and I didn’t even know we had a son | 但我和萨美拉直到上个月 |
[09:43] | until last week. | 才知道我们有了儿子 |
[09:45] | And I’ll be damned if we’re going to be enjoined | 我无法接受我们再错过 |
[09:48] | from missing any more of his life. | 他人生中的任何瞬间 |
[09:49] | Your Honor, if can just finish what… | 法官大人 我想继续说完… |
[09:51] | Mr. And Mrs. Walton, do you have any other children? | 沃顿夫妇 你们有孩子吗 |
[09:55] | No, Your Honor. No. | 没有 法官大人 没有 |
[09:57] | Roderick and I have tried for years to conceive. | 我和罗德克尝试了好多年 |
[10:01] | We’ve had 12 rounds of in-vitro fertilization. | 我们做了十二次体外受精 |
[10:07] | I’ve suffered miscarriage after miscarriage. | 我不断经历流产 |
[10:12] | It was soul crushing. | 心灵受到巨大伤害 |
[10:15] | So when we discovered | 所以当我们知道 |
[10:18] | that there was a baby in this world | 这世界上有一个婴儿 |
[10:21] | that is biologically Roderick’s, | 与罗德克是亲子关系 |
[10:24] | we knew that we had to raise him. | 我们必须要抚养他 |
[10:27] | And I need to ask you this again: | 我再问你们一遍 |
[10:30] | You would not be willing | 你们不接受 |
[10:32] | to entertain a split custody arrangement? | 分割的监护权 对吧 |
[10:35] | No offense to the McConnells, | 无意冒犯麦康纳尔一家 |
[10:38] | but they’re complete strangers to us. | 但他们对我们来说完全是陌生人 |
[10:41] | This is my son. | 这是我的儿子 |
[10:44] | And we have no desire to raise him with complete strangers. | 我无意与完全的陌生人共同抚养他 |
[10:49] | Since both sides are refusing to entertain a resolution, | 既然双方都拒绝共同监护权 |
[10:53] | I’m forced to schedule a custody hearing. | 我不得不安排一场监护权听证会 |
[10:56] | In addition, I’m going to appoint a guardian ad litem | 另外 我将任命一位诉讼监护人 |
[10:59] | to investigate both sets of parents. | 对双方家长进行调查 |
[11:01] | That guardian, Michele Downey, | 这位监护人 米歇尔·唐尼 |
[11:04] | will then issue a recommendation | 将出于这个孩子的最佳利益考虑出发 |
[11:05] | regarding what would be in the best interest of the child. | 提交一份建议 |
[11:09] | For now, the McConnells will retain custody… | 目前 麦康纳尔将保留孩子的监护权… |
[11:13] | …but I’m granting Mr. Walton | 但是我将给予沃顿先生 |
[11:15] | temporary court-monitored visitation | 临时法庭监控下的探视 |
[11:17] | for one hour a day. | 每天一小时 |
[11:18] | If it please the court, | 如果法庭允许 |
[11:20] | my client is requesting, uh, the first visitation be today. | 我的当事人希望第一次的探视就在今天 |
[11:26] | Well, since Ms. Downey is already on the premises, | 既然唐尼女士就在现场 |
[11:30] | I don’t see why not. | 没理由不可以 |
[11:32] | Why didn’t you fight harder in there? | 你们刚才为什么不反抗 |
[11:35] | Visitation in… in five minutes? | 五分钟后就要探视 |
[11:37] | How in God’s name can I be expected to hand my child over | 把我的孩子交给一个完全的陌生人 |
[11:40] | to a s… complete stranger? | 我该怎么想 |
[11:41] | He needs to eat soon, | 他需要吃奶了 |
[11:43] | and he just doesn’t take a bottle from anyone. | 不是谁喂他都吃的 |
[11:44] | Can we go back and appeal it? | 我们可以回去然后上诉吗 |
[11:47] | In custody cases, there is no jury. | 监护权的案子 没有陪审团 |
[11:49] | It’s all about the judge. She has the final say. | 全是法官说了算 她有最终裁判权 |
[11:52] | She has the only say. | 她是唯一做决定的人 |
[11:54] | Trust me, | 相信我 |
[11:56] | that judge is focusing on each party’s reasonableness | 法官会关注每一方的理性 |
[12:00] | and willingness to follow court orders. | 以及遵从法庭命令的意愿 |
[12:02] | It would just be a huge mistake | 如果我们对法官做的第一个决定 |
[12:03] | to use our capital trying to appeal | 就提出上诉的话 |
[12:06] | the very first thing the judge made a decision on. | 将是一个巨大的错误 |
[12:08] | We need to play the long game here. | 我们要看得长远些 |
[12:10] | And you need to be as cordial as possible | 在探访期间 |
[12:12] | going into this visitation. | 你要尽可能地表现出热诚 |
[12:14] | Don’t even think | 别想着 |
[12:16] | about trying to manipulate your son into not liking Roderick. | 试图操控你的儿子让他不喜欢罗德克 |
[12:19] | Don’t try and squeeze him too tight | 不要把孩子控制得太紧了 |
[12:21] | or cue him to be scared in any way. | 或者让他感到害怕 |
[12:23] | The guardian ad litem is gonna be watching you | 诉讼监护人会 |
[12:25] | very closely, | 一直在旁边盯着的 |
[12:27] | and you don’t want her to think that you are trying to sway | 你不希望她说你在试图 |
[12:30] | your child emotionally. | 通过情感左右你的儿子 |
[12:33] | I promise you, they will hold that against you. | 我向你保证 他们会用这一点来攻击你的 |
[12:40] | You have my word, you’ll have your baby back in an hour. | 我保证 一个小时后就会还回来 |
[12:55] | It’s, uh, it’s his feeding time, so he might be a little fussy. | 现在该喂奶了 所以他可能会有点挑剔 |
[12:59] | Hey. Yeah. | 好的 |
[13:01] | It helps if you angle it. | 如果你调整一下角度可能会好些 |
[13:03] | Got it. Thank you. | 知道了 谢谢你 |
[13:05] | Hey, Joseph. | 你好啊 约瑟夫 |
[13:08] | Hey, it’s me. Huh? | 是我啊 |
[13:11] | It’s your daddy. Huh? | 是爸爸 |
[13:15] | God. | 天呐 |
[13:27] | Ms. Downey, | 唐尼女士 |
[13:28] | I understand you did an extensive investigation | 我知道 你已经对这两对父母做了 |
[13:30] | into both sets of parents. | 全面的调查 |
[13:32] | I did, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[13:33] | And what can you tell me? | 那你有什么要说的 |
[13:34] | So the judge can ask questions? | 也就是说法官可以提问题 |
[13:36] | Any time she wants. Remember, there’s no jury. | 她随时都可以 记住 这里没有陪审团 |
[13:39] | She’s the whole ball of wax. | 一切都由她说了算 |
[13:41] | I feel I have a clear sense | 我觉得我已经对麦康纳尔 |
[13:43] | of both the McConnells and the Waltons. | 和沃顿两家 有了清晰的了解 |
[13:45] | I’ll be honest, this is a difficult situation. | 我实话实说 这是个很棘手的境况 |
[13:49] | I believe both couples are good people | 我相信两对夫妇都是好人 |
[13:52] | and would be fit parents, | 都适合为人父母 |
[13:54] | but since both families are fighting for sole custody, | 但是鉴于这两个家庭都要争取单独监护权 |
[13:57] | it falls to me to make an assessment | 就由我依据谁对孩子的 |
[13:59] | based on who’s better for the baby long-term. | 长远发展更有益来做出评估了 |
[14:02] | And have you come to a conclusion? | 那么你有结论了吗 |
[14:03] | I have. | 有了 |
[14:05] | I have taken lots of factors into consideration, Your Honor. | 我已经将很多实际情况纳入了考虑之中 法官阁下 |
[14:08] | Uh, we use a combination of criteria to make this decision. | 我们用一套标准组合来做这种决定 |
[14:12] | The primary three are | 首要的三点是 |
[14:14] | the parents’ emotional stability, | 父母的情绪稳定性 |
[14:16] | the parents’ physical ability to raise the child, | 父母自身是否健康 能够抚养孩子 |
[14:19] | and the parents’ employment history | 父母的工作史和 |
[14:21] | and financial ability to care for the child. | 照顾孩子的经济能力 |
[14:24] | With regards to the first two criteria, | 对于前两个标准 |
[14:25] | the two families are clearly both more than up to the task. | 这两个家庭都明显地很符合要求 |
[14:29] | That leaves us | 那就只剩下 |
[14:31] | with the third criteria. | 第三条标准了 |
[14:34] | These are photos of the nursery the Waltons have set up | 这些是沃顿家为迎接约瑟夫的到来 |
[14:36] | in their home in anticipation of Joseph’s arrival. | 所设婴儿室的照片 |
[14:40] | And here are photos of the McConnells’ | 而这里是麦康纳尔家 |
[14:43] | one-bedroom apartment and the current accommodations | 一居室公寓的照片和他们目前 |
[14:45] | they’ve set up for baby Joseph. | 为小约瑟夫设置的居住条件 |
[14:48] | As you can see, at the present time, | 如您所见 现如今 |
[14:50] | parents and child share a single bedroom. | 父母和孩子共用一间卧室 |
[14:53] | Uh, in and of itself, not at all | 就其本身而言 约瑟夫 |
[14:55] | an unusual or undesirable arrangement, | 如此年幼 这样的安排 |
[14:57] | particularly at Joseph’s young age. | 十分常见且略有必要 |
[15:00] | With regard to the child’s education, | 考虑到孩子的教育 |
[15:03] | the Walton family has already secured Joseph a spot | 沃顿一家已经在著名的赫斯特学院 |
[15:05] | at the prestigious Hurstview Academy, | 为约瑟夫定下了一个学位 |
[15:08] | while at the present time, | 而与此同时 |
[15:11] | the McConnells have not yet explored | 麦康纳尔一家还没有在他们社区的 |
[15:13] | educational possibilities for Joseph | 公立学校之外为约瑟夫 |
[15:15] | outside the public school options in their neighborhood. | 寻求过其他的教育机会 |
[15:19] | Again, in and of itself, not at all an unusual | 再次申明 就其本身而言 鉴于约瑟夫如此年幼 |
[15:22] | or unexpected answer given Joseph’s young age. | 这样的安排属于正常的范畴 |
[15:26] | Are we gonna be okay here? | 我们会没事吗 |
[15:28] | – Any questions for the guardian? – Yes, Your Honor. | – 有什么问题要问监护人吗 – 有的 法官阁下 |
[15:30] | Uh, Ms. Downey, I’m curious, | 唐尼女士 我很好奇 |
[15:33] | are you familiar with the studies that have been done | 你是否熟悉那个针对反应性依恋障碍 |
[15:36] | on reactive attachment disorder? | 所做的研究 |
[15:39] | Uh, studies that were conducted to determine the effects | 那个研究旨在 确定一个婴儿在生命的 |
[15:43] | on an infant child when it is ripped | 第一年就被人 |
[15:45] | from its primary caregivers during its first year of life? | 从原始的照料者身边夺走所产生的影响 |
[15:49] | Yes. I am very aware of those studies. | 是的 我很清楚那些研究 |
[15:52] | I’m also aware of studies that demonstrate | 我也了解一些研究 它们说明 |
[15:54] | that when an infant is placed in a loving, stable home, | 当一个婴儿被安置在一个充满爱且稳定的家庭里 |
[15:57] | the likelihood of the child experiencing | 孩子出现反应性依恋障碍的 |
[16:00] | reactive attachment disorder is slim to none. | 可能性很小 |
[16:03] | This woman is not on our side. | 这个女人并不站我们这边 |
[16:04] | But at the very least, | 不过至少 |
[16:06] | you would concede that it can be a stressor on the child, | 你会承认这可能会成为孩子的压力源 |
[16:09] | can it not? | 不会吗 |
[16:10] | I know that one of the biggest stressors on a family | 我知道对于一个家庭和一个孩子来说 |
[16:13] | and a child is whether or not | 最大的压力源之一是 |
[16:14] | the parents are financially stable. | 父母的经济能力是否稳定 |
[16:16] | And the fact is the McConnells’ financial situation | 事实是麦康纳尔一家过去十年的 |
[16:19] | over the past ten years | 经济情况 |
[16:21] | has been, well, uncertain at best. | 一直都… 不尽人意 |
[16:25] | In fact, just two months ago, | 事实上 就在两个月前 |
[16:27] | they were over half a million dollars in debt. | 他们还有五十万美元的债务 |
[16:29] | They had to borrow money for diapers | 他们不得不借钱为孩子 |
[16:31] | and an antibiotic for the child. | 买尿布和抗生素 |
[16:33] | It was only their recent settlement | 正是他们最近和生育诊所的协议 |
[16:34] | with the fertility clinic that pulled them out | 让他们摆脱了可怕的 |
[16:36] | of their dire financial straits. | 金融困境 |
[16:38] | Be that as it may, Ms. Downey, I hope you’re not poised | 即便如此 唐尼女士 我希望你并不准备 |
[16:41] | to make judgement based simply on the fact | 简单地依据一个家庭比另一个家庭 |
[16:43] | that one family has more money than the other. | 更有钱来做出判断 |
[16:46] | Mr. Colon, let’s not argue over | 科隆先生 我们不要在这位监护人 |
[16:48] | the guardian’s judgment until she renders one. | 提出判断之前 对此争论 |
[16:50] | And with that in mind, | 考虑到这一点 |
[16:51] | Ms. Downey, | 唐尼女士 |
[16:53] | are you prepared to make a recommendation? | 你准备好做推荐了吗 |
[16:56] | Honestly, I cannot say | 坦白说 我不能说 |
[16:59] | either family is unfit. | 任何一个家庭是不合适的 |
[17:03] | But if forced | 但是如果必须 |
[17:04] | to make a recommendation between the two, | 要在两个家庭中做一个推荐 |
[17:07] | I would recommend the Waltons. | 我会推荐沃顿一家 |
[17:20] | It’s okay. We’re not done. | 没事的 我们还没有结束 |
[17:22] | It’s not over. | 还没结束 |
[17:31] | Why are you seeking full custody of your son? | 你为什么要为儿子诉求单独监护权 |
[17:35] | My son is currently a three-month-old baby. | 我的儿子现在是一个三个月大的婴儿 |
[17:40] | But in the blink of an eye, | 但是眨眼间 |
[17:42] | he’ll be a six-year-old boy. | 他就会成为一个六岁大的男孩 |
[17:43] | And one day, he’ll be a 16-year-old young black man. | 然后有一天 他会成为一个十六岁的年轻黑人 |
[17:47] | And that young black man | 而那个年轻的黑人 |
[17:50] | is going to need someone who knows how to guide him. | 将会需要一个知道如何教导他的人 |
[17:54] | Someone to give him “The talk.” | 一个给他”教导”的人 |
[17:57] | Someone who knows how to show him | 一个知道被警察 |
[17:59] | exactly what to do with his hands when he gets pulled over. | 叫停到路边时 双手要置于何地的人 |
[18:03] | Someone to bring him into the police station and introduce him | 一个带他去警局 把他介绍给当地警方 |
[18:06] | to the local police so they know his name. | 以此让他们彼此认识 |
[18:11] | Do the McConnells know they need to do that? | 麦康纳尔一家知道他们需要这么做吗 |
[18:14] | Do they even know how | 他们知道 |
[18:15] | to do that? | 该怎么做吗 |
[18:18] | I doubt it. | 我表示怀疑 |
[18:19] | Objection. | 反对 |
[18:20] | Your Honor, this is an unfair and misleading | 法官阁下 这是不公正且误导性的 |
[18:23] | characterization. | 描述 |
[18:25] | Mr. Walton, I need you to stick to facts. | 沃顿先生 请尽量使用事实 |
[18:28] | Yes, Your Honor. | 好的 法官阁下 |
[18:31] | The reality is | 现实是 |
[18:34] | this child is going to have a piece of his identity | 这个孩子的肤色将会是他随身带的一张 |
[18:37] | that he wears. | 身份证 |
[18:39] | All the time. There’s no hiding it. | 一直如此 无可隐匿 |
[18:42] | And as much as we’d like to believe | 不管我们多想相信 |
[18:43] | this world is color-blind, we all know that just isn’t true. | 这个世界可以没有肤色歧视 我们都知道那不是真的 |
[18:47] | What is true is that this world | 真实的情况是 这个世界 |
[18:51] | is a complicated place | 对于一个混血儿童 |
[18:54] | for a biracial child, a biracial teen. | 一个混血青少年 |
[18:58] | A biracial man. | 一个混血男子来说 是个复杂的地方 |
[19:02] | It’s tough to find your way. | 找到出路很难 |
[19:05] | And Joseph is going to need his biological father | 而约瑟夫将会需要他的生理上的父亲 |
[19:09] | to help him navigate. He just is. | 来帮助他成长 他就是需要 |
[19:12] | Do you have anything else | 你还有其他 |
[19:14] | you want to share with the court? | 要与本庭分享的吗 |
[19:17] | I would like the court to know | 我希望庭上知道 |
[19:20] | that I was raised by a strong, loving father. | 我是被一位强壮 有爱心的父亲养大的 |
[19:25] | As was my father before me. | 我的父亲亦是如此 |
[19:30] | And I’ll be damned if I am going to turn my back on my son | 如果我抛弃自己的儿子 延续黑人父亲缺席的 |
[19:34] | and perpetuate the stereotype of the absentee black father. | 刻板印象 那我就真该死了 |
[19:40] | I have no further questions for this witness. | 对这位证人 我没有其它问题了 |
[19:50] | Good morning, Mr. Walton. | 上午好 沃顿先生 |
[19:51] | Now, yesterday we heard all about | 昨天我们听到了你那些 |
[19:53] | your impressive success in the business world, | 令人敬佩的商界成功事迹 |
[19:56] | your considerable financial resources. | 你相当丰富的经济资源 |
[19:59] | But that must come at a cost, does it not? | 那肯定是付出了一定代价的 不是吗 |
[20:03] | I suppose everything comes at a cost. | 我想凡事都有代价吧 |
[20:05] | How many hours a week | 据你估计 |
[20:06] | would you estimate that you and your wife work? | 你和你的妻子每周要工作几个小时 |
[20:08] | If I had to put a number on it, I’d say probably 60 hours. | 如果用数字统计 应该是六十个小时吧 |
[20:13] | – Each? – Yes. | – 每周吗 – 对 |
[20:16] | Again, that’s an approximation. | 强调一下 这只是大概 |
[20:18] | A lot of that work happens at home on laptops and telephones. | 有很多工作我是在家里的电脑和电话上完成的 |
[20:20] | Mm. And do you work on the weekends? | 那你周末上班吗 |
[20:24] | Sometimes. | 有时要 |
[20:26] | Your Honor, I can assure you, that will change | 我能保证 法官大人 我们抚养孩子后 |
[20:28] | once we have custody of our son. | 这些都会改变的 |
[20:29] | Mm. Will it, though? | 是吗 |
[20:33] | Isn’t it true | 你们不是 |
[20:34] | that you’ve already begun interviewing nannies? | 已经开始挑选保姆了吗 |
[20:36] | Night nurses? Weekend nannies? | 还有夜班护士和周末保姆 |
[20:39] | Just because my wife and I work long hours, | 你不能根据我和我妻子要长时间工作 |
[20:41] | that doesn’t mean we aren’t going to be hands-on parents. | 就说我们会成为不负责的父母 |
[20:44] | That’s how my parents raised me, and I was all the better for it. | 我父母就是这样抚养我的 但我也因此很出色 |
[20:47] | I learned the value of a strong work ethic. | 我了解了职业道德的重要价值 |
[20:49] | The value of a job well done. | 还有把工作做好的意义 |
[20:51] | Maybe so, | 也许你是对的 |
[20:52] | but… it’s feeling like | 但我感觉 |
[20:55] | you’re preparing to outsource your parenting, | 你是准备把父母该做的事让别人来做 |
[20:59] | when this child already has two | 实际上 这个孩子现在已经有两位 |
[21:01] | wonderful, loving, hands-on, | 出色 慈爱 负责任的 |
[21:04] | full-time parents. | 全职父母来照顾 |
[21:07] | Miles and Elisabeth McConnell. | 那就是麦康纳尔夫妇 |
[21:09] | Two parents who don’t understand the first thing | 他们根本不懂得养育一个黑人小孩 |
[21:10] | about raising a black child. | 应该做好的第一件事是什么 |
[21:13] | Might I point out, Mr. Walton, | 但请允许我指出 沃顿先生 |
[21:15] | that white parents successfully raise black | 一直以来 很多白人夫妇都能养育好 |
[21:19] | and biracial children all the time. | 黑人和混血孩子 |
[21:20] | That’s your opinion, sir. | 这只是你的一家之见 先生 |
[21:25] | I have no further questions, Your Honor. | 法官大人 我没有别的问题了 |
[21:30] | What do you think? | 你是怎么想的 |
[21:32] | Reading a judge isn’t the same as reading a jury, | 读懂法官和读懂陪审团不同 |
[21:35] | but, while Mr. Walton was a compelling witness, | 虽然沃顿先生是一个很有说服力的证人 |
[21:38] | I think he did himself as much harm as good. | 但我认为 他说的好坏参半 |
[21:40] | They rested their case. It’s our turn now. | 我们的机会来了 |
[21:43] | You still want to stick with the plan? | 你还想按照原计划进行吗 |
[21:45] | Call Elisabeth as our first witness? | 让伊丽莎白来当我们的第一证人 |
[21:48] | No. | 不 |
[21:49] | I think we need to remind the judge | 我觉得我们需要提醒法官 |
[21:51] | that this baby already has a father. | 这个孩子已经有一位父亲了 |
[21:55] | Those first moments in the delivery room, | 在产房里 你见到孩子的第一眼 |
[21:57] | when you realized you probably didn’t | 当你意识到 也许孩子并没有 |
[22:00] | share DNA with your son, | 继承到你的DNA |
[22:03] | how did you respond? | 你作何感想 |
[22:04] | I was shocked. I was surprised. | 我很震惊 非常惊讶 |
[22:08] | When I was holding Joseph, | 当我抱着约瑟夫时 |
[22:11] | and the way he was looking at me, | 他看着我时流露出的 |
[22:13] | his helplessness… | 那种无助 |
[22:15] | At that point, I stopped thinking about DNA, | 那时 我就不在乎什么DNA |
[22:18] | biology, all that. | 生理之类的事了 |
[22:20] | I just thought, “I’m gonna make the best life | 我就想 “我要给予你 |
[22:24] | “I possibly can for you, | 我能给你的最好的生活 |
[22:27] | because I’m your father, and you’re my child.” | 因为我是父亲 而你是我的孩子” |
[22:31] | I know it’s | 我知道 |
[22:32] | a hokey expression, but I really do believe | 这样可能有点做作 但我真的相信 |
[22:36] | God doesn’t throw you more than you can handle. | 上帝赐予你的 一定是你能接受的 |
[22:39] | So you went about doing that? | 那你是这么做的吗 |
[22:41] | Making the best life for your son? | 为你的孩子创造最好的生活 |
[22:43] | I’m sure trying. | 我当然在努力 |
[22:47] | He’s got colic, you know, | 你知道 他有腹痛的毛病 |
[22:49] | so we’re up a lot of nights. | 我们有几个晚上没合眼 |
[22:51] | But no matter how tired I get, | 但无论我有多累 |
[22:54] | once he finally finds his way to sleep, | 他一睡着 |
[22:57] | I stay up a little while longer and just watch | 我就会多坚持一会 笑着看着他 |
[23:01] | and smile. | 熟睡的样子 |
[23:04] | Because he’s mine. | 因为他是我的孩子 |
[23:07] | I don’t know. It’s, uh… | 我不清楚 |
[23:13] | It’s the way he looks at me first thing in the morning. | 也许是他清晨他看我的第一眼 |
[23:17] | Yeah, it’s… | 真的…. |
[23:19] | He knows who I am. | 他知道我是谁 |
[23:23] | It’s got nothing to do with DNA. | 这和DNA无关 |
[23:28] | He knows he can count on me. | 他知道他可以依赖我 |
[23:31] | He knows I’m Dad. | 他清楚我是他父亲 |
[23:36] | Nothing further, Your Honor. | 我没有问题了 法官大人 |
[23:41] | He was a good witness, wasn’t he? | 他是个不错的证人 对吗 |
[23:42] | So far. | 目前是 |
[23:43] | Mr. McConnell, | 麦康纳尔先生 |
[23:45] | can you tell the court where you were last Tuesday | 你能告诉法庭 上周二凌晨四点 |
[23:48] | at 4:00 p.m.? | 你在哪里吗 |
[23:51] | You know where this is going? | 你知道这事吗 |
[23:53] | It’s nothing. | 这不重要 |
[23:55] | I had an appointment. | 我有个预约 |
[23:57] | Would you tell the court what kind of appointment? | 能告诉法庭是什么样的预约吗 |
[23:59] | A doctor’s appointment. | 和医生的预约 |
[24:00] | What kind of doctor, Mr. McConnell? | 是什么样的医生 麦康纳尔先生 |
[24:02] | Objection, Your Honor. | 我抗议 法官大人 |
[24:03] | Counselor’s badgering the witness. | 对方律师在为难证人 |
[24:05] | Your Honor, there’s a point to this line of questioning, | 法官大人 如果您能多给我一些时间 |
[24:07] | if the court would just afford me a little more latitude. | 我会让您知道我这一系列的提问是有意义的 |
[24:11] | Objection overruled. | 抗议无效 |
[24:13] | The witness will answer the question. | 证人需要回答问题 |
[24:17] | A therapist. | 是心理医生 |
[24:19] | A behavioral therapist. A psychologist. | 一位行为心理医生 心理学专家 |
[24:22] | They must have hired a private detective to follow him. | 他们一定是请了个私家侦探跟踪他 |
[24:24] | Are you sure there’s nothing I need to know? | 你确定没有什么要跟我说的吗 |
[24:27] | – No. It’s all good. – And may I ask | – 没有 一切都好 – 我能问问您 |
[24:29] | how long you’ve been seeing this therapist? | 在心理医生那里治疗多久了吗 |
[24:33] | Almost four years. | 将近四年了 |
[24:35] | And can you tell the court | 那么您能告诉法庭 |
[24:36] | what compelled you to seek the services | 是什么让您求助于 |
[24:39] | of a therapist? | 心理医生呢 |
[24:40] | Your Honor, counsel is on | 法官大人 对方律师 |
[24:42] | a fishing expedition here. | 根本就是在盘问摸底 |
[24:44] | A, we were unaware of any effort on the plaintiff’s part | 首先 我们不清楚原告动用了什么力量 |
[24:48] | to request my client’s private psychiatric records; | 调查到了我的客户私人心理就医记录 |
[24:51] | and, B, seeking the services of a licensed therapist | 其次 寻求有资质的心理医生的帮助 |
[24:55] | is something millions of people, | 是许多人 |
[24:56] | many of them parents, do day in and day out. | 许多父母 日常会做的事情 |
[25:00] | Counselor, | 律师 |
[25:01] | I need you to ask a question | 请你问一个 |
[25:03] | that ties Mr. McConnell’s therapy | 和我们今天的讨论 |
[25:05] | to the questions at hand here today, | 有关的问题 |
[25:07] | or change your line of questioning. | 或者请你直接改变路线 |
[25:09] | Of course, Your Honor. I-I understand, Your Honor. | 好的 我明白 法官大人 |
[25:12] | Uh, but I do have one last question | 我还有最后一个问题要问 |
[25:15] | that might make it apparent | 这个问题问完之后 |
[25:16] | why I’m going down this road. | 您可能就知道我为什么要这么说了 |
[25:21] | Mr. McConnell, isn’t it true that | 麦康纳尔先生 您的这位心理医生 |
[25:24] | the therapist you’re working with is one | 所擅长的领域是否是 |
[25:25] | that specializes in issues involving anger management | 愤怒管理和 |
[25:30] | and temper control? | 情绪控制 |
[25:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:36] | Now I’m curious. | 我有点好奇 |
[25:37] | Is this an issue for you in your life? | 这些是你目前存在的问题吗 |
[25:40] | Your Honor, I sought treatment | 当我们一开始准备要孩子的时候 |
[25:42] | when we started trying to have a baby. | 我就开始着手解决这个问题了 |
[25:44] | May I ask why? | 我能问问原因吗 |
[25:48] | Growing up, my house wasn’t always… | 在我成长的过程中 我们家不总是… |
[25:54] | I don’t know… my father could be great some days. | 我的…我的父亲有时会很好 |
[25:59] | Sometimes his temper got the best of him. | 但有时会被自己的情绪冲昏头脑 |
[26:01] | And are we talking about verbal abuse? | 你指的是语言暴力吗 |
[26:04] | Yelling, screaming, abusive language? | 比如怒骂 吼叫 侮辱性词语 |
[26:08] | Not just that. | 不只这些 |
[26:11] | So, physical abuse. | 那就是家暴了 |
[26:14] | Sometimes, yeah. | 有时候会 |
[26:16] | Towards you? | 是对你吗 |
[26:18] | Your mother, your siblings? | 还是对你母亲 你的兄弟姐妹 |
[26:21] | Everyone in the house. | 家里每个人都有 |
[26:24] | So I wanted to talk to someone | 因此我才寻求心理医生的帮助 |
[26:27] | so I could be better for my children. | 这样对我的孩子更好 |
[26:28] | I didn’t want the cycle to continue. | 我不想我的孩子也成为家暴的受害者 |
[26:30] | And did you have a reason to think that it might? | 你觉得自己可能实施家暴有什么原因吗 |
[26:33] | I guess I-I just didn’t want the cycle to continue. | 我觉得我只是不想再这样恶性循环下去了 |
[26:38] | I’d never been a father before. | 我之前没当过爸爸 |
[26:40] | I didn’t know what to expect. | 我不知道未来会是什么样子 |
[26:42] | – I wanted to get ahead of it. – Your Honor, | – 我只想做的更好 – 法官大人 |
[26:44] | the fact that Mr. McConnell was proactive | 麦康纳尔先生 |
[26:46] | out of an abundance of caution means that | 不正表明他是一个做事周到 |
[26:48] | he is a thoughtful, careful and concerned father, | 谨慎 关心孩子的父亲 |
[26:52] | not a dangerous one. | 而不是一个危险人物吗 |
[26:54] | I’m inclined to agree. | 我倾向于同意 |
[26:56] | – Are we through with this subject? – Not quite. | – 这个话题结束了吗 – 还没有 |
[26:58] | Mr. McConnell, have you ever broken anything in anger? | 麦康纳尔先生 你曾经在愤怒中打坏什么东西吗 |
[27:05] | Sure. I suppose. Who hasn’t? | 我想当然 谁没有呢 |
[27:08] | Have you ever yelled at a colleague, | 你是否曾经朝着你的同事 |
[27:09] | – a neighbor, family member? – Objection. | – 邻居或者家人大吼 – 反对 |
[27:12] | Your Honor, counsel has her fishing pole back out, | 法官大人 律师在引证人上钩 |
[27:15] | in addition to badgering the witness. | 另外还在为难证人 |
[27:17] | Let’s get to the point. | 让我们直接说重点吧 |
[27:19] | Have you ever been asked to leave a bar | 你有没有因为打架 |
[27:21] | because you got in a fight? | 而被要求离开酒吧 |
[27:27] | Mr. McConnell? | 麦康纳尔先生 |
[27:29] | Once. | 有过一次 |
[27:31] | A long time ago, when I was in college. | 很久以前了 还是我在读大学的时候 |
[27:33] | Ever punch a hole in a wall? | 是否在墙上打过洞 |
[27:35] | Your Honor, objection. | 法官大人 反对 |
[27:37] | What Mr. McConnell did or did not do in college | 麦康纳尔先生在大学时的所作所为 |
[27:40] | has little to do with his ability to parent. | 和他做父母的能力并没有关系 |
[27:43] | If we were all judged | 如果我们都被我们之前的行为来 |
[27:44] | – by what we did… – Overruled, Mr. Colon. | – 评判的话… – 反对无效 科隆先生 |
[27:47] | Mr. McConnell, please answer the question. | 麦康纳尔先生 请回答这个问题 |
[27:52] | Mr. McConnell, I’m waiting for an answer. | 麦康纳尔先生 我在等你的答案 |
[27:55] | Have you ever punched a hole in a wall? | 你是否用手打穿过墙壁 |
[28:00] | I was 16. | 我那时十六岁 |
[28:05] | I’m a different person now. | 我现在已经变了 |
[28:09] | I have worked on myself | 我一直在努力 |
[28:11] | so I am not the father that I had. | 让我不变成我父亲那样的人 |
[28:15] | I-I have worked on myself so that this is never an issue. | 我一直在努力所以这些并不是问题 |
[28:18] | And are we just supposed | 所以我们就应该 |
[28:20] | to take your word for that? | 相信你的话吗 |
[28:22] | There’s an infant’s well-being at stake here. | 一个婴儿的生命健康岌岌可危 |
[28:26] | You admit that you grew up in an abusive household. | 你承认你成长在一个有家庭暴力的家庭 |
[28:29] | You admit you’re worried | 你承认你在担心 |
[28:31] | about continuing the cycle of abuse. | 会产生虐待的恶性循环 |
[28:36] | Shouldn’t we be worried, too? | 难道我们不应该也担心这点吗 |
[28:41] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[28:42] | is this really someone we should be awarding custody to? | 这真的是我们应该授予监护权的人吗 |
[28:56] | Good morning. | 早上好 |
[29:01] | Can I get you anything? | 你需要什么吗 |
[29:03] | My baby. | 我的孩子 |
[29:06] | Look, uh, I know this is a pretty difficult time. | 听着 我知道这是十分困难的时期 |
[29:09] | What are you hearing? | 你听到了什么 |
[29:12] | – It’s not looking good, is it? – Okay. | – 不是什么好事 对吧 – 好了 |
[29:14] | We need to get a few things straight. | 我们需要弄清楚一些事 |
[29:16] | Okay? | 好吗 |
[29:17] | Testifying in a court of law, | 在法庭上作证 |
[29:19] | testifying like you’re gonna do tomorrow… | 就像你明天要做的那样作证… |
[29:21] | It’s a lot like | 这就像是 |
[29:22] | riding a bike on a winding road. | 在蜿蜒的道路上骑车一样 |
[29:25] | You keep looking back, you’re destined to falter. | 你一直往后看的话 你肯定会畏缩 |
[29:28] | We need you | 我们需要你 |
[29:29] | looking forward, | 往前看 |
[29:30] | eyes on where we’re going and what we want. | 看着我们要去哪里 想要什么 |
[29:35] | Divorce papers. | 离婚协议 |
[29:37] | Elisabeth, you filed for divorce? | 伊丽莎白 你提出了离婚 |
[29:39] | Y-Yeah, a while ago. | 是的 前一段时间 |
[29:43] | Why wouldn’t you tell us something like this? | 你怎么不告诉我们这些事 |
[29:45] | Why wouldn’t you tell me mesomething like this? | 你怎么不告诉我这些事 |
[29:47] | How’d you find out? | 你怎么发现的 |
[29:48] | It’s a matter of public record. | 这是公开的记录 |
[29:50] | Really? | 是吗 |
[29:52] | I-I mean, it’s not like I went through with it. | 我的意思是 我根本没走完程序 |
[29:55] | I pulled those forms less than an hour after I filed them. | 我申请后不到一个小时就把这些表格取出来了 |
[29:58] | Miles doesn’t even know. | 迈尔斯甚至都不知道 |
[30:01] | I-I was going through a crazy time, emotionally. | 我之前经历了一段感情上的疯狂的时光 |
[30:05] | D-Do you think the other side knows? | 你觉得对方会知道吗 |
[30:06] | If the other side found out about your husband | 对方既然都能发现你的丈夫 |
[30:08] | seeing a therapist, | 去看心理医生 |
[30:10] | then they definitely know about this. | 那么他们肯定会知道这件事 |
[30:12] | We need to talk to Bull and Benny so that we can | 我们得告诉布尔和本尼 |
[30:14] | all figure out how we’re gonna get ahead of this. | 好让我们想清楚该怎么应对 |
[30:16] | And before any of that happens, | 而在这之前 |
[30:18] | you need to tell your husband; you need to tell Miles. | 你必须告诉你丈夫 你必须告诉迈尔斯 |
[30:20] | This is not something you want him to hear about | 你不会希望他第一次 |
[30:22] | for the first time in court. | 听到这件事是在法庭上 |
[30:26] | I’ve always wanted to be a mother, and Miles has | 我一直想成为一名妈妈 |
[30:28] | always wanted to be a father. | 而迈尔斯也一直想当爸爸 |
[30:30] | It’s just always been part of the plan. | 这一直都是计划的一部分 |
[30:33] | That’s why we never gave up. | 这也是我们从未放弃的原因 |
[30:35] | Even after all the disappointments. | 即使经历一次次的失望 |
[30:39] | And then suddenly it takes, | 然后突然成功了 |
[30:42] | and I’m pregnant again. | 我再次怀孕了 |
[30:44] | Two months, three months, and I’m-I’m still carrying him. | 两个月 三个月 我一直怀着他 |
[30:51] | Ultrasounds and listening to heartbeats, | 超声波检查和听心跳 |
[30:54] | and I’m-I’m still carrying him. | 我还怀着他 |
[30:59] | Seven months, eight months, | 七个月 八个月 |
[31:00] | and-and they keep telling me that he’s healthy, | 他们一直告诉我他很健康 |
[31:03] | that-that I’m healthy. | 我也很健康 |
[31:05] | And I-I keep waiting for a pain, | 我一直等待痛苦降临 |
[31:07] | for something to go wrong in the middle of the night, | 等待半夜会发生闪失 |
[31:09] | but… but it doesn’t. | 但… 但一切都没有发生 |
[31:13] | And then | 然后 |
[31:15] | they wheel me into that delivery room, | 他们把我推进了接生室 |
[31:17] | and I realize… | 我才明白… |
[31:19] | I’m about to give birth. | 我将要分娩 |
[31:22] | Oh, my God. | 老天 |
[31:26] | And he’s perfect. | 他是完美的 |
[31:30] | Better than perfect. | 甚至胜过完美 |
[31:33] | And he’s ours. | 他是我们的 |
[31:36] | Mrs. McConnell, | 麦康纳尔女士 |
[31:38] | did you file divorce papers a year ago? | 你在一年前是否申请过离婚 |
[31:42] | I sure did. | 是的 |
[31:44] | Filed in one Tuesday afternoon | 在一个星期二下午两点申请的 |
[31:46] | At 2:00, asked if I could have them back | 然后在三点之前询问我是否能 |
[31:49] | so I could rip them up a little before 3:00. | 把它们要回来然后撕掉 |
[31:53] | Sounds a little irrational. | 听上去有点不理智 |
[31:56] | “Little” Is kind. | 不止是 “有点” |
[31:59] | IVF, you know. | 体外受精 你知道的 |
[32:01] | I’d been taking hormones on and off for years at that point. | 为了这 我已经断断续续服用激素好几年了 |
[32:05] | I-I wasn’t myself. | 我不是我自己了 |
[32:08] | Things had become tense and stressful at home. | 家里的气氛也变得紧张而充满压力 |
[32:12] | We were going broke trying to get pregnant. | 我们为了怀孕快破产了 |
[32:16] | I actually began to wonder if maybe Miles | 我开始想象是不是 |
[32:19] | would be better off with someone else. | 迈尔斯和其他人在一起会更好 |
[32:21] | Someone who could give him children. | 和一个能给他生孩子的人 |
[32:28] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:29] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[32:34] | These divorce papers… | 这些离婚协议… |
[32:36] | How long ago did you say they were filed? | 你是说多久前申请的它们 |
[32:38] | About a year ago, maybe 13 months now. | 大概是一年前 可能离现在有十三个月了 |
[32:42] | You know, it sounds like, uh, you filed them | 你知道吗 这听上去像是 |
[32:45] | just before you found out you were pregnant. | 你在发现你怀孕后申请了离婚 |
[32:46] | Yes. It all seemed to happen at once. | 是 这一切像是同时发生 |
[32:51] | Also sounds like maybe you withdrew the papers | 这也像是你发现你怀孕后 |
[32:54] | when you found out you were pregnant. | 你就取消了申请 |
[32:57] | No. Like I said, I withdrew them | 不 像我所说的 我是在 |
[32:59] | not even an hour after I filed them. | 申请后甚至不到一小时就取消了 |
[33:01] | Do you remember the date? | 你还记得日期吗 |
[33:02] | – I do. – I’ll bet you do. | – 我记得 – 我也估计你记得 |
[33:05] | Because according to your medical records, | 因为根据你的医疗记录 |
[33:06] | it was the exact same date the clinic called | 这和医院打电话告诉你 |
[33:09] | to tell you your test was positive, you were pregnant. | 你的检查呈阳性 你怀孕了是同一天 |
[33:13] | Yeah… Well, I mean, | 是的… 我是说 |
[33:14] | yes, but that was purely coincidence. | 是的 但这纯粹是巧合 |
[33:18] | I mean, I-I withdrew them first, same day I filed them, | 我指的是 我在申请离婚的同一天 先取消了申请 |
[33:21] | like I said, and then when I got home that evening, | 像我所说的 然后在我回家的当晚 |
[33:24] | the clinic called with the news. | 医院告诉了我这个消息 |
[33:25] | And are you sure that was the order of events? | 你确定这就是事情的顺序吗 |
[33:28] | – Definitely. – So it’s not as if | – 当然 – 所以并非是 |
[33:30] | you found out you were pregnant | 你发现你怀孕了 |
[33:32] | and thought the baby would save your marriage? | 然后认为这个孩子可以挽救你的婚姻吗 |
[33:34] | Objection, Your Honor. Asked and answered. | 反对 法官大人 这是问答环节 |
[33:37] | Objection sustained. Ask another question, | 反对有效 询问另一个问题 |
[33:40] | Ms. Taylor. | 泰勒女士 |
[33:42] | Mrs. McConnell, are you sure you’re not fighting | 麦康纳尔女士 你确定你不是为了 |
[33:44] | for this baby because you fear your marriage | 拯救你的婚姻 |
[33:47] | won’t survive without him? | 而争夺这个孩子吗 |
[33:49] | I’m fighting for my baby because I love him, | 我争夺我的孩子是因为我爱他 |
[33:51] | because I can’t survive without him. | 是因为失去他我无法生存 |
[33:56] | Thank you for your honesty. | 感谢你的诚实 |
[33:59] | But this hearing is about the baby’s well-being, | 但这个听证是关于孩子的健康 |
[34:04] | not yours. | 不是关于你的 |
[34:08] | I have no further questions, Your Honor. | 我没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[34:26] | Yeah? | 喂 |
[34:27] | Bull, are you awake? It’s Danny. | 布尔 你睡了吗 我是丹尼 |
[34:29] | Um… what’s going on? | 什么事吗 |
[34:33] | Okay, well, | 是的 不过 |
[34:34] | you can’t ask me how I got ahold of them, | 不要问我是怎么知道这些的 |
[34:36] | which means you can’t use what I’m about to tell you | 也不能用这些信息来当作证据 |
[34:38] | as evidence, but I was able to get a peek | 总之 我看到了 |
[34:40] | at the Waltons’ medical records, both his | 沃顿的病历卡 夫妻两个人的 |
[34:42] | – and hers. – Yeah? | – 都有 – 然后呢 |
[34:45] | And Samara… | 萨美拉… |
[34:46] | Samara had ovarian cancer last year. | 萨美拉去年得了卵巢癌 |
[34:49] | It’s in remission now, | 现在已经进入了缓解期 |
[34:51] | but obviously it could come back at any time. | 但随时都可能复发 |
[34:55] | Bull? | 布尔 |
[34:57] | Yeah? | 怎么了 |
[34:58] | One other thing. | 还有 |
[34:59] | As a result of her illness, she has no eggs, | 因为她的卵巢癌 她无法产生卵细胞了 |
[35:03] | and it would be impossible for her to get pregnant, ever. | 以后永远也不可能怀孕了 |
[35:10] | Ah, Mrs. McConnell. Mr. McConnell. | 麦康纳尔夫妻 |
[35:12] | Uh, if you would sit here. | 请你们坐在这里 |
[35:18] | Thank you all for coming. | 感谢你们所有人的到来 |
[35:21] | I received a phone call last night | 我昨天晚上接到一通电话 |
[35:24] | about Mrs. Walton’s medical history. | 告诉我了沃顿女士的病史 |
[35:29] | And while she is in fine health at the moment, | 尽管她现在十分健康 |
[35:33] | 18 months ago, things were far more dire. | 她的情况在十八个月前十分严峻 |
[35:34] | Again, | 我重申一下 |
[35:36] | she has a clean bill of health today, | 她现在十分健康 |
[35:41] | but the often fatal disease she rallied against | 但她过去所得的这种致命疾病 |
[35:45] | often recurs. | 有可能复发 |
[35:49] | Now, I could subpoena her medical history, | 现在 我可以传唤她的病史 |
[35:51] | get her doctors on the stand, | 传唤她的医生做证人 |
[35:53] | get medical professionals to talk about | 让相关专家来证实 |
[35:55] | the possibility of this disease recurring, | 这种病复发的可能 |
[35:59] | but I don’t want to do that. | 但我不想那么做 |
[36:05] | Truth is, even with all that, | 实上 哪怕我这么做了 |
[36:07] | this case could go either way, and the judge, | 这个案子不管谁赢 |
[36:11] | whatever decision she makes… | 不管法官最后怎么判 |
[36:15] | …at least one family is going to be heartbroken. | 都有一方将心碎 |
[36:23] | So… | 所以… |
[36:25] | I’d like to propose a different solution. | 我希望提出另一个解决方案 |
[36:29] | We know the combination of Roderick’s sperm | 罗德克的精子和伊丽莎白的卵细胞结合 |
[36:32] | and Elisabeth’s egg created a beautiful, healthy baby boy. | 创造了一个美丽的 健康的婴儿 |
[36:40] | Let’s just do it again. | 我们再造一个吧 |
[36:44] | You can’t be serious. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[36:46] | Oh, yes, I am. | 我很认真 |
[36:48] | Samara, | 萨美拉 |
[36:49] | your disease left you with no eggs to fertilize, right? | 你因病已经无法排卵了 对吗 |
[36:53] | So if Elisabeth | 所以只要伊丽莎白 |
[36:55] | was to donate an egg… | 贡献一枚卵细胞… |
[36:57] | Wait, wait, wait, wait. | 等等等等 |
[36:59] | This is not why we’re here. This is not what we came for. | 这不是我们最初的目的 我们不想要这个 |
[37:03] | Hold on. | 等等 |
[37:04] | You want me to donate one of my eggs to the Waltons? | 你想要我贡献一个卵细胞给沃顿夫妻 |
[37:06] | I’m suggesting a way | 我只是在建议 |
[37:09] | that might give everyone what they want. | 这样大家都能满意 |
[37:12] | But why would I ever agree to have a child of mine | 但我为什么要同意让我的孩子 |
[37:14] | out in the world without me being able to raise him or her? | 孤身一人 没有我养育陪伴 |
[37:17] | Exactly why we’re here. | 这正是我们上诉的原因 |
[37:23] | That’s the way we feel about Joseph. | 这就是我们对约瑟夫的想法 |
[37:29] | And what if | 那你们为什么要 |
[37:32] | you didn’t shut each other out of either child’s life? | 阻止对方见这两个孩子呢 |
[37:37] | Each family raises a child | 每个家庭都可以养一个孩子 |
[37:39] | of their own, and that child would know | 这个孩子有权知道 |
[37:41] | that there were other people out there | 世界上还有其他人 |
[37:44] | who loved him or her. | 爱着他 或她 |
[37:46] | Better than a grandparent, | 比爷爷奶奶更好 |
[37:48] | another parent, and a brother | 另一对父母 还有一个兄弟姐妹 |
[37:51] | or sister who, otherwise, wouldn’t be there. | 如果你们不这样做 这些都不会存在 |
[37:55] | Now, I am not naive. | 我并不天真 |
[37:57] | I know that this is not gonna be easy, but the upside… | 我知道这个过程会很艰难 但是如果实现了… |
[38:02] | …the upside | 实现了这样的结果 |
[38:04] | is so damn high up there… | 那将是多美好的局面啊 |
[38:09] | …it’s almost unimaginable. | 我都想象不出来 |
[38:13] | Now, look, if this hearing has proven anything, it’s that | 这次的听证会证明了什么东西 |
[38:16] | none of you are perfect. | 那就是你们都是不完美的人 |
[38:19] | But you are all loving, caring, good people, | 但你们都是有爱的 体贴的人 |
[38:24] | and you all want what’s best for Joseph. | 你们都想给约瑟夫最好的 |
[38:30] | So why couldn’t that be the love | 那么就给他来自四个 |
[38:32] | of four imperfect people? | 不完美的人的爱吧 |
[38:35] | And a sibling to go through the journey of life with? | 和一个可以陪伴他一生的兄弟姐妹 |
[38:42] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[38:43] | before you render a decision, my client would | 在您做出判决前 我的委托人 |
[38:46] | very much like to address the court. | 希望能在法庭发言 |
[38:50] | If the Waltons have no objection? | 沃顿夫妻反对吗 |
[38:52] | We do not, Your Honor. | 不反对 法官大人 |
[38:56] | Mrs. McConnell? | 请继续 |
[38:59] | Your Honor. | 法官大人 |
[39:01] | Um, before you render a decision, | 在您做出判决之前 |
[39:03] | I think we’ve all collectively | 我相信我们对这个案件 |
[39:04] | come to a realization. | 都有了新的认识 |
[39:07] | I-I know I have. | 我是已经有了 |
[39:09] | I can finally see why the Waltons | 我终于能明白沃顿 |
[39:12] | felt the need to file for custody. | 申请抚养权的理由了 |
[39:15] | It’s clear to me… Clear to us… | 我很清楚…我们都很清楚 |
[39:19] | That they’re doing what they’re doing | 他们这么做是出于 |
[39:20] | out of enormous love for Joseph. | 对约瑟夫无尽的爱 |
[39:26] | I don’t know how to ask someone… | 我没办法阻止一个人 |
[39:29] | Order someone to stop loving a child | 强行阻止一个人去爱他的孩子 |
[39:31] | who’s at least partially theirs. | 哪怕不全属于他 |
[39:33] | I’m not sure I know where we’re going. | 我不太明白你想说什么 |
[39:37] | What I’m proposing… Uh, what we’re all proposing… | 我想说… 我们想说的是 |
[39:41] | And, uh, really it’s Dr. Bull’s idea… | 实际上这是布尔博士的建议 |
[39:43] | Is that, in-in return | 作为交换 |
[39:44] | for the Waltons withdrawing their custody suit, | 沃顿夫妇撤销抚养权申请 |
[39:49] | I’m prepared to donate one of my eggs | 我贡献出一颗卵细胞 |
[39:51] | so that Roderick and Samara | 这样罗德克和萨美拉 |
[39:52] | might have a child of their own. | 也能有自己的孩子 |
[40:00] | Are you on board with this? | 你们同意吗 |
[40:04] | We are, Your Honor. | 同意 法官大人 |
[40:06] | We think it’s a very kind, generous… | 我们认为她所提出的条件 |
[40:10] | incredible offer. | 十分仁慈 慷慨 |
[40:12] | In addition, we would work out a visitation agreement, | 除此之外 为了让约瑟夫认识他的四个父母 |
[40:16] | so Joseph could know all four of his parents. | 我们会商定出一个拜访制度 |
[40:19] | And likewise, | 同样的 |
[40:21] | should the Waltons have a child that Elisabeth helped conceive, | 如果沃顿夫妻抚养这个伊丽莎白孕育的孩子 |
[40:24] | we pledge to work out a similar agreement for that child. | 我们也会定一个类似的协定 |
[40:26] | Samara and I have agreed | 萨美拉和我还同意了 |
[40:29] | to provide child support as well. | 要主动帮助抚养孩子 |
[40:32] | We want Joseph to always know | 我们想让约瑟夫知道 |
[40:34] | we’ll be there for him in any way he needs. | 不管他什么时候需要我们 我们都在 |
[40:37] | Just to be clear, | 我想澄清一下 |
[40:38] | does this mean you’re withdrawing | 这意味着你们要 |
[40:40] | your petition for custody? | 撤销对抚养权的申请吗 |
[40:44] | Yes, Your Honor. | 是的 法官大人 |
[40:52] | Counselor, | 律师 |
[40:54] | looks like we’ve got a few things to figure out. | 看来我们还有几件事要理清楚 |
[40:56] | We certainly do. | 当然了 |
[40:57] | – I’ll give you a call in the morning. – That’d be terrific. | – 明天早上电话联系 – 好的 |
[41:00] | And, uh, that reminds me, | 你提醒我了 |
[41:01] | we need to set up a time and a place for tomorrow’s visitation. | 我们需要定一下明天拜访的时间和地点 |
[41:06] | Oh, I don’t know, maybe the four of us | 我在想 或许我们四个 |
[41:08] | could work out the details over dinner? | 可以一边吃晚饭一边商量细节 |
[41:11] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[41:13] | Would you guys like to join us and Joseph for some dinner? | 你们愿意和我们 还有约瑟夫一起吃晚饭吗 |
[41:16] | We’d love to. | 十分愿意 |
[41:19] | – Taylor? – Oh, I don’t know. | – 泰勒呢 – 我不知道诶 |
[41:21] | Seems to me like a dinner for new friends. | 我觉得你们应该好好跟新朋友相处 |
[41:25] | I’ll get you next time. | 下次再找你吧 |
[41:27] | Shall we? | 那我们走吧 |
[41:32] | What do you think? | 你怎么看 |
[41:34] | Did we do a good thing? | 我们做了件好事吗 |
[41:37] | I hope so. | 希望如此 |
[41:38] | Did we do the right thing? | 我们做了对的事吗 |
[41:40] | I think so. | 我觉得是的 |
[41:43] | Did we do the best we could? | 我们尽力了吗 |
[41:45] | Yeah, we did the best we could. | 我们还是尽力了的 |
[41:47] | Now we just have to wait 20 or so years | 我们现在只要等个二十年 |
[41:49] | to find out what Joseph thinks. | 看看约瑟夫怎么想了 |