时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:15] | $600 for a freaking T-shirt? | 六百美元一件怪里怪气的T恤 |
[00:18] | Did you say $600? | 你是说六百吗 |
[00:21] | Wow. | 哇 |
[00:22] | This is SoHo, Chloe. | 这就是苏豪区 克洛伊 |
[00:24] | Still. | 冷静 |
[00:27] | Ladies, let me know if there’s anything I can help you with. | 女士们 如需帮助 请尽管说 |
[00:31] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[00:35] | We should probably head back to Brooklyn soon. | 我们大概得快点回布鲁克林去 |
[00:39] | Oh, my God, a scarf is $400? | 四百美元一条围巾 |
[00:47] | Should I get it? | 该拿吗 |
[00:48] | What? No. Your mom will kill you. | 什么 不要 你妈会杀了你的 |
[00:54] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[00:55] | I didn’t say anything about buying it. | 我没说要买呢 |
[01:00] | Oh, come on. | 走吧 |
[01:02] | Warmth is a fundamental human right. | 保暖可是基本人权 |
[01:03] | And I need a scarf. | 我也需要一条围巾 |
[01:07] | Relax. You’re gonna attract attention. | 放松 不然你该引人注意了 |
[01:15] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[01:16] | You should get those earrings. They’re your favorite color. | 你该拿这对耳环 是你最喜欢的颜色 |
[01:20] | I don’t think so. | 算了吧 |
[01:22] | Do you know how cute you’d look with them? | 你知道你戴着会有多可爱吗 |
[01:44] | Sorry, ladies. | 抱歉 女士们 |
[01:46] | I’m gonna need to see inside those purses. | 我要检查一下你们的包 |
[01:55] | Good afternoon. My name is Elena Smith. | 下午好 我叫埃林娜·史密斯 |
[01:57] | I got a phone call that my 15-year-old daughter | 我接到一通电话 说我十五岁的女儿 |
[01:59] | was arrested for shoplifting? | 因为在商店偷窃被逮捕了 |
[02:08] | Wait, there must be some mistake. | 等一下 一定是哪里搞错了 |
[02:10] | I’m supposed to meet my daughter in here. | 我是来这见我女儿的 |
[02:12] | There’s been no mistake, Ms. Smith. | 没有错 史密斯夫人 |
[02:14] | It’s you we want to talk to. | 我们等的正是您 |
[02:15] | I’m Agent Franks with the Federal Bureau of Investigation. | 我是联邦调查局的弗兰克斯特工 |
[02:18] | This is Agent Arnold. | 这位是阿诺德特工 |
[02:19] | Would you please take a seat? | 请您坐下好吗 |
[02:21] | Shoplifting? | 商店盗窃 |
[02:22] | Is that something the FBI gets involved with these days? | 这年头联邦调查局也来调查这种事了 |
[02:26] | Uh, just for the record, you’re Chloe Smith’s mom? | 确认一下 您是克洛伊·史密斯的母亲对吗 |
[02:28] | Yes. Is she okay? W-What did she do? | 是的 她没事吧 她干什么了 |
[02:33] | Chloe’s real name isn’t Chloe at all, is it? | 克洛伊根本不是她的真名吧 |
[02:36] | And her last name isn’t Smith. | 她也不姓史密斯 |
[02:38] | For that matter, I’m guessing neither is yours. | 关于这一点 我猜您也不姓史密斯 |
[02:41] | Your daughter, who isn’t your daughter, | 她也不是您的女儿 |
[02:44] | her real name is Sarah Cooper, isn’t it? | 她的真名叫萨拉·库帕 对吗 |
[02:47] | We ran her prints. | 我们查过她的指纹 |
[02:48] | She’s originally from Clearwater, Florida, | 她出身于佛罗里达州清水镇 |
[02:51] | and we suspect maybe you are, too. | 我们怀疑您可能也一样 |
[02:54] | Your real name’s Angela Brown, isn’t it? | 您的真实姓名是安吉拉·布朗 对吗 |
[02:57] | Ms. Brown, | 布朗夫人 |
[02:58] | we’ve been looking for you and that little girl | 我们追查您和那小女孩 |
[03:00] | for an awfully long time. | 已经有相当长时间了 |
[03:08] | – Go away. – No. | – 走开 – 不行 |
[03:09] | Nope. I need to speak with you. | 不行 我要跟你谈谈 |
[03:11] | Have some mercy. | 拜托了 |
[03:12] | You know I have a two-week-old at home. | 你知道我家有一个两周大的宝宝 |
[03:15] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[03:18] | She’s adorable, but confused. | 她很可爱但也很迷糊 |
[03:23] | Doesn’t know night from day. | 分不清昼夜 |
[03:26] | Ugh, come on. | 拜托 |
[03:27] | I’m working on 22 minutes’ sleep here. | 我正要小睡个二十二分钟 |
[03:31] | I beg you. | 求你了 |
[03:34] | Sorry, Bull. | 不好意思 布尔 |
[03:36] | You know, I just, uh, | 其实我刚 |
[03:38] | got off the phone with my financial guy, | 跟我的财务那边通了电话 |
[03:40] | trying to start a college fund for baby Bull, | 想给小布尔开一笔大学基金 |
[03:43] | but I got to have her full name. | 但我得有她的全名才行 |
[03:46] | They won’t let me open up an account | 没有全名 他们不会让我 |
[03:48] | without a last name and a first name. | 开账户的 |
[03:51] | So what’s it gonna be? Asa or Ingrid? | 所以是什么 阿萨还是英格 |
[03:55] | Remember? | 还记得吗 |
[03:56] | You told me you wanted to name her Ingrid, | 你说过希望她叫英格 |
[03:59] | and Izzy wanted to name her Asa. | 伊兹想叫她阿萨 |
[04:01] | So where’d you guys end up? | 所以结果呢 |
[04:04] | We met in the middle. | 我们折中了一下 |
[04:05] | What? Inga? | 怎么 叫印加吗 |
[04:07] | Astrid. | 阿思翠 |
[04:11] | Astrid. | 阿思翠 |
[04:14] | I like it. Never heard it before, but I like it. | 我喜欢 虽然从没听过 但就是喜欢 |
[04:18] | Same here. | 我也是 |
[04:20] | See what you started? | 看看你开的头 |
[04:23] | You two boys interested in running up | 你俩有没有兴趣 今天下午 |
[04:25] | to the Metropolitan Correctional Center late this afternoon, | 去大都会惩教中心 |
[04:28] | and talking to a woman accused of kidnapping her niece | 跟一位女士聊聊 她被控十二年前 |
[04:30] | 12 years ago and bringing her up as her daughter? | 绑架自己侄女来做自己女儿 |
[04:35] | 12 years ago, my younger sister Marie died in a car accident. | 十二年前 我妹妹玛丽死于车祸 |
[04:40] | She had just dropped her three-year-old daughter off at day care. | 她刚把自己三岁女儿送到日托去 |
[04:43] | Sarah. Sarah Cooper. | 萨拉 就是萨拉·库帕 |
[04:46] | Yes. | 没错 |
[04:47] | That was the name she was born with. | 这是她出生时的名字 |
[04:49] | Sarah Cooper. | 萨拉·库帕 |
[04:51] | And what about her father? | 她爸爸呢 |
[04:53] | What was going on with Sarah’s father after your sister died? | 令妹去世后萨拉的父亲怎么了 |
[04:58] | My brother-in-law had issues with impulse control. | 我妹夫有冲动控制方面的问题 |
[05:01] | Struggled with his drinking, with drugs. | 陷在酗酒和药物滥用里 |
[05:05] | He used to beat my sister. | 他从前会家暴我妹妹 |
[05:07] | He used to hurt Chloe. | 伤害克洛伊 |
[05:10] | Sarah. | 萨拉 |
[05:12] | And you witnessed this? | 您目击了这些情况吗 |
[05:13] | I saw the bruises. | 我见过那些伤 |
[05:14] | But your sister confided in you? | 令妹向您透露过吗 |
[05:16] | She didn’t have to confide in me. | 她不必向我吐露心声 |
[05:18] | S-She didn’t have to say it. She was my sister. | 她不必说 那是我妹妹 |
[05:21] | Uh, these bruises, did you ask her about them? | 您问过她那些伤吗 |
[05:25] | I tried. | 试过 |
[05:26] | She’d tell me she walked into a door. | 她说她走路撞门了 |
[05:30] | Or when her hand had what looked to me like cigarette burns, | 或者她手上有些我看上去像烟头烫伤的疤时 |
[05:34] | she’d tell me she did it to herself on the stove. | 她说是自己被炉子烫到的 |
[05:37] | Tell me about Sarah. | 说说萨拉 |
[05:39] | After Marie died, | 玛丽走后 |
[05:41] | I noticed she started having bruises. | 我发现她身上也开始出现伤痕 |
[05:43] | And did you ask your brother-in-law? | 您问过妹夫吗 |
[05:45] | The girl’s father? | 她爸爸 |
[05:47] | He’d tell me Sarah fell down. | 他说萨拉自己摔了 |
[05:50] | “Sarah fell off her big wheel.” | “萨拉摔了个大跟头” |
[05:52] | There was always a story. | 每次都有个说法 |
[05:55] | So, I contacted Florida’s Department | 于是我联系佛罗里达州 |
[05:58] | of Children and Families. | 儿童与家庭事务部 |
[06:00] | But by the time they came out to investigate, | 但他们开始调查的时候 |
[06:02] | the bruises were almost gone. | 伤痕都快好完了 |
[06:04] | I think I reported him five, six times. | 我记得举报过他五六次 |
[06:06] | And then, one day, | 然后有一天 |
[06:09] | I went over there to visit my niece, | 我去看我侄女 |
[06:12] | and they told me she was in the hospital with a broken arm. | 我被告知她进了医院 手臂骨折 |
[06:16] | Jim said she fell down the stairs. | 吉姆说她从楼梯上摔了下来 |
[06:19] | But when I went to the hospital | 但我去了医院 |
[06:22] | and asked Sarah what had happened, she wouldn’t tell me. | 问萨拉怎么回事 她不肯说 |
[06:26] | She just looked sad. | 只是很难过的样子 |
[06:30] | She wouldn’t say anything. | 她什么都不说 |
[06:33] | So, the next morning, I went back to the hospital. | 第二天早上我回到医院 |
[06:37] | And I told her we were going on a trip. | 我对她说 我们要去旅行 |
[06:42] | That was 12 years ago. | 那是十二年前了 |
[06:43] | Let’s talk about the trial. It’s not gonna be easy. | 我们来谈谈庭审 这不会容易 |
[06:47] | There’s no denying what you did. | 我们无法否认您的所作所为 |
[06:49] | You took a child who wasn’t yours. | 您带走了一个不属于您的孩子 |
[06:51] | A child who still had a parent. | 且她亲属还健在 |
[06:53] | And there’s no jury | 任何陪审团都不会 |
[06:55] | that’s gonna have an easy time looking past that, | 轻易略过这些情况 |
[06:57] | which is why Sarah… Chloe… | 这也是为什么萨拉… 克洛伊… |
[07:01] | is the key to your defense. | 是为您辩护的关键 |
[07:03] | The key? | 关键 |
[07:05] | How? She was only three when all this happened. | 怎么可能 一切发生的时候她才三岁 |
[07:09] | She doesn’t remember anything. | 她什么都记不得了 |
[07:10] | Of course. | 当然 |
[07:12] | But surely she has an opinion on you as a mother. | 但她对作为母亲的您肯定有自己的意见 |
[07:16] | How did she react when you told her you’d been arrested? | 您告知她自己被逮捕的时候她什么反应 |
[07:18] | I told her I’d been called away on a business trip. | 我跟她说我被叫去出差了 |
[07:22] | I called her friend’s parents and asked if she could stay | 我联系她朋友父母 请他们让她在他们家 |
[07:25] | with them for a day or two. | 呆个一两天 |
[07:27] | Ms. Smith, Ms. Brown, | 史密斯夫人 布朗夫人 |
[07:30] | you need to explain to your niece what’s really going on here. | 您得向您侄女解释真相 |
[07:32] | That is a conversation that has to be had. | 这份坦白是必须要有的 |
[07:34] | Dr. Bull is right. | 布尔博士说得对 |
[07:36] | She is the most important witness we have. | 她是我们最重要的目击证人 |
[07:40] | Now, we’re happy to bring Chloe here, tomorrow. | 我们很乐意 明天把克洛伊带来 |
[07:43] | Give you two a chance to talk. | 让你俩能有机会谈谈 |
[07:45] | Here? | 在这吗 |
[07:48] | So I can tell her her whole life’s been a fiction? | 让我告诉她她的整个人生都是谎言吗 |
[07:52] | She thinks her father is dead, | 她以为她父亲死了 |
[07:53] | that he’s a war hero, he lost his life in Afghanistan. | 以为他是在阿富汗战争中牺牲的英雄 |
[07:56] | Be that as it may, | 话虽如此 |
[07:58] | if that girl doesn’t tell the jury what a wonderful mother | 如果那个女孩不向陪审团说明你是个 |
[08:00] | you’ve been, you will be found guilty. | 多么好的母亲的话 你会被判有罪的 |
[08:02] | And the authorities will almost certainly return her | 而几乎可以肯定 当局会把她还给 |
[08:05] | to the man you’re convinced hurt her. | 那个你确信伤害了她的男人 |
[08:11] | Tell me you’ll call her tonight. | 你今晚得打电话给她 |
[08:14] | Tell me you’ll explain you need to see her. | 告诉她你要见她 |
[08:18] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[08:21] | I’ll call her. | 我会打给她的 |
[08:23] | I’ll tell her about the two of you. | 我会告诉她你们俩的身份 |
[08:26] | That you’ll be bringing her to me. | 告诉她你们会带她来见我 |
[08:30] | But I won’t tell her where. | 但我不会告诉她见面地点 |
[08:32] | And I won’t tell her why. | 也不会告诉她原因 |
[08:35] | I-I just can’t. | 我做不到 |
[08:51] | Here she comes. | 她来了 |
[09:09] | You all right? | 你没事吧 |
[09:14] | It’s a lot. | 这太令人震惊了 |
[09:18] | It is. | 的确 |
[09:21] | I hate to be the naysayer… | 我不想扫兴 |
[09:22] | – No, you don’t. – I-I don’t know | – 你没有 – 我不知道 |
[09:24] | how we’re supposed to prove abuse | 怎么证明十二年前 |
[09:25] | that supposedly happened over 12 years ago | 发生在千里之外的 |
[09:28] | in a place that’s over a thousand miles away. | 虐待案是真的 |
[09:30] | I don’t know. I mean, the kid did break her arm. | 我也不知道 但那孩子胳膊确实骨折了 |
[09:33] | Yeah, but it was a spiral fracture, | 对 但那是螺旋形骨折 |
[09:35] | which is actually pretty common. | 是很常见的 |
[09:36] | It can happen when you yank a toddler’s arm | 你拉一下幼儿的胳膊 |
[09:38] | or when you’re just horsing around, | 或者嬉闹一下都有可能骨折 |
[09:40] | which is what the dad told the doctors. | 她爸爸就是这么对医生说的 |
[09:41] | Speaking of the father… | 说到她父亲… |
[09:45] | Tell us what you know. | 你有什么发现 |
[09:46] | His name is Jim Cooper. | 他叫吉姆·库帕 |
[09:48] | Went through kind of a dark period after his wife passed | 在妻子去世 女儿失踪后 |
[09:50] | and his daughter disappeared. | 经历了一段低谷期 |
[09:52] | Couldn’t hold down a job, got himself into a lot of debt. | 失业 负债累累 |
[09:55] | Lost his house. Some minor arrests for drunkenness. | 房子也没了 还因醉酒闹事被捕过 |
[09:57] | Then about eight years ago, | 大概八年前 |
[09:59] | he started to pull his life back together. | 他重新振作起来 |
[10:00] | Bought a water-softening franchise, | 买下水软化经营权 |
[10:02] | remarried four years ago, has a two-and-a-half-year-old son, | 四年前再婚 有一个两岁半的儿子 |
[10:05] | has six employees. | 手下有六名员工 |
[10:07] | I’ve dated guys whose bios read worse than this. | 我交往过比他经历还糟糕的人 |
[10:10] | Here’s the thing. Bull keeps saying the literature | 事情是这样 布尔一直说众多文献 |
[10:13] | is pretty clear about the fact that abuse tends to be cyclical. | 表明虐待往往是周期性的 |
[10:16] | I mean, even though this Jim Cooper remarried… | 即使吉姆·库帕再婚了… |
[10:19] | You think he’s abusing his new wife and kid? | 你认为他在虐待他的新婚妻子和孩子吗 |
[10:21] | Well, I certainly hope not, but he probably had | 我当然不希望如此 但他在遇到现任妻子前 |
[10:23] | other relationships before he met his current wife. | 可能还有过其他关系 |
[10:26] | And if we can establish a pattern of abuse, | 如果我们能总结出他虐待的模式 |
[10:29] | it would certainly bolster Elena’s credibility. | 一定会增加埃林娜的可信度 |
[10:33] | Looks like I’m on a plane to sunny Florida. | 看来得去一趟阳光佛罗里达了 |
[10:35] | Do you know what the problem with this case is? | 你知道这个案子的问题在哪吗 |
[10:38] | Our client did exactly what she’s being charged with. | 我们的委托人完全做了她被指控的事 |
[10:42] | I’m starting to think our only choice might be to embrace that. | 我开始觉得我们唯一的选择就是承认这个事实 |
[10:45] | Why would we do that? | 为什么 |
[10:46] | To gain credibility with the judge and the jury. | 为了取得法官和陪审团的信任 |
[10:49] | Make a play for a lenient sentence. | 争取宽大处理 |
[10:51] | Our play is to get her acquitted. | 我们争取的是让她无罪释放 |
[10:54] | If we have to ask for a lenient sentence, | 如果我们想要宽大处理 |
[10:56] | it means we’ve lost, and our client didn’t hire us to lose. | 那就说明我们输了 我们委托人雇我们不是为了败诉的 |
[11:00] | Yeah, but, Bull, there is no defense for this crime. | 对 但是布尔 这次没有辩护可谈 |
[11:02] | It’s not like we can claim that it was an accident | 我们又不能声称那纯属意外 |
[11:05] | or self-defense or even insanity. | 或是出于自卫 或是她精神失常 |
[11:06] | I mean, she’s guilty. | 她的确有罪 |
[11:08] | She did it. | 她确实做了 |
[11:09] | She kidnapped her niece. | 她诱拐了她侄女 |
[11:11] | Well, that’s where jury nullification comes in. | 但是我们可以让陪审团审判无效 |
[11:13] | We’ve got to convince this jury that the kidnapping law | 我们得说服陪审团诱拐法 |
[11:15] | shouldn’t apply to Elena’s situation. | 不适用于埃林娜的情况 |
[11:18] | She wasn’t kidnapping her niece; she was rescuing her. | 她没有诱拐她侄女 她在救她 |
[11:21] | Let the prosecution call it a kidnapping. | 检方可以说那是诱拐 |
[11:23] | We’re gonna call it a rescue. | 但我们可以说那是救援 |
[11:25] | I need to warn you… the first witness | 我得先提醒你 今天第一个 |
[11:27] | to take the stand today | 出庭的证人 |
[11:29] | is going to be your former brother-in-law. | 是你的前妹夫 |
[11:32] | Whatever you may think about him, | 不管你对他什么看法 |
[11:34] | we need you to understand the jury will almost certainly | 你得明白陪审团几乎可以肯定 |
[11:37] | empathize with him. | 会站在他那边 |
[11:39] | All they’re gonna see | 他们看到的 |
[11:40] | is a young widower who lost his only child. | 是一个失去独生女的年轻鳏夫 |
[11:43] | Wow. The bastard sobered up long enough | 这个混蛋好不容易清醒着坐了三小时飞机 |
[11:46] | to fly three hours up the coast so he could lie under oath? | 飞过海岸线 结果宣过誓还要撒谎 |
[11:50] | According to the prosecutor, he’s been sober for years. | 原告律师说他已经戒瘾好几年了 |
[11:52] | He’s also remarried, owns his own business, | 他也再婚了 有了自己的公司 |
[11:55] | has a two-year-old son, | 有个两岁的儿子 |
[11:56] | and very much wants his daughter back. | 也非常想让他的女儿回来 |
[11:59] | Angela, the reason we’re telling you this… | 安吉拉 我们告诉你这些的原因是 |
[12:05] | We need you to be careful not to react when he testifies. | 希望你在他作证的时候不要反应过激 |
[12:08] | The jury is watching you, they’re studying you. | 陪审团在看着你 在评判你 |
[12:12] | If they see anger, if they see contempt, | 如果他们看到了你的怒气或者不屑 |
[12:15] | they’re gonna presume that you took this man’s child | 会认为你是出于怨恨带走了 |
[12:18] | out of spite. | 这个男人的孩子 |
[12:20] | So… | 所以… |
[12:22] | you got to the hospital, | 你去了医院 |
[12:24] | walked into your daughter’s room, | 走进你女儿的病房 |
[12:25] | and she just wasn’t there? | 发现她不在那里吗 |
[12:27] | Exactly. And no one… no one knew where she was. | 是的 没人知道她去哪了 |
[12:30] | So, of course, I went to the police. | 所以我就报警了 |
[12:32] | And how long before you figured out | 过了多久你才发现 |
[12:34] | that it was probably your sister-in-law | 可能是你妻姐 |
[12:36] | who had taken her? | 带走她的 |
[12:37] | Maybe a day. There was hospital video. | 一天后吧 医院有监控 |
[12:42] | but the thing is, no one realized | 关键是 没人想到 |
[12:44] | that she had taken her for good, | 她把她永远带走了 |
[12:47] | that she’d left the state. | 去了别的州 |
[12:49] | I kept thinking that she had taken her to the movies | 我一直以为她只是带她去看电影 |
[12:51] | or to some theme park to… | 或者去了哪个主题公园… |
[12:55] | take her mind off of her mother. | 好让她不再那么想妈妈 |
[12:57] | Mr. Cooper. | 库帕先生 |
[12:59] | Did you ever hit your first wife? | 你打过你第一任妻子吗 |
[13:02] | Never. | 没有 |
[13:03] | Did you ever strike your daughter Sarah? | 你打过你的女儿萨拉吗 |
[13:06] | Never. | 没有 |
[13:08] | Mr. Cooper, | 库帕先生 |
[13:09] | if the defendant is found guilty, | 如果被告被判有罪 |
[13:13] | are you prepared | 你准备好 |
[13:15] | to welcome your daughter back into your home? | 迎接你女儿回来了吗 |
[13:18] | Prepared? I have been waiting 12 years for this. | 什么准备好 我为此已经等待了十二年了 |
[13:21] | I would do anything to have my child back. Yes. | 为了让我孩子回来我愿意做任何事 是的 |
[13:25] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 我问完了 法官大人 |
[13:29] | Mr. Colon. | 科隆先生 |
[13:30] | Yes, Your Honor. | 好的 法官大人 |
[13:32] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官大人 |
[13:37] | Mr. Cooper… | 库帕先生 |
[13:39] | we really appreciate you coming all this way to… | 我们很感谢你大老远赶来 |
[13:43] | share your recollections. | 分享你的回忆 |
[13:45] | Recollections? I-I-I’m talking about… | 回忆 我说的是 |
[13:48] | my family. | 我的家庭 |
[13:49] | I’m talking about my blood, my-my child. | 我的血脉 我的孩子 |
[13:51] | Yes, yes, of course, of course, but… | 是 没错 但是 |
[13:54] | 12 years is a long time. | 十二年相当漫长 |
[13:57] | A lot has changed. | 发生了很多变化 |
[13:59] | Right? | 对吗 |
[14:00] | You’re remarried, you have a two-year-old at home… | 你再婚了 家里有个两岁的儿子 |
[14:03] | I never stopped looking. I… I never gave up. | 我一直在找她 从未放弃 |
[14:07] | If you say so, sir. | 好吧 先生 |
[14:08] | Now… | 是这样 |
[14:10] | you were unemployed at the time your daughter disappeared, | 你女儿失踪的时候你失业了 |
[14:14] | – weren’t you? – Yes, I-I had a tough time | – 不是吗 – 对 妻子死后 |
[14:16] | after my wife died. | 我过得很艰难 |
[14:18] | Completely understandable. | 非常理解 |
[14:20] | Although, our records indicate | 不过 我们的记录显示 |
[14:22] | that you were having a tough time | 即使在你妻子去世之前 |
[14:24] | even before your wife passed away, | 你的生活就已经很困顿了 |
[14:26] | pretty much beginning with the birth | 你第一个孩子萨拉出生后 |
[14:28] | of your first child, Sarah. | 生活就开始走下坡路了 |
[14:30] | Objection, Your Honor. | 我抗议 法官大人 |
[14:32] | Is counsel asking a question or testifying? | 对方律师是在提问还是在求证 |
[14:35] | Ask a question, Mr. Colón. | 请提问 科隆先生 |
[14:37] | Absolutely, Your Honor. My apologies, Your Honor. | 当然 我很抱歉 法官大人 |
[14:42] | approximately how many jobs would you say you held | 从您第一个孩子出生 |
[14:46] | during the three-year period | 到她消失的这三年间 |
[14:49] | starting from the birth of your first child | 您能大概说出 |
[14:51] | to the date that she disappeared? | 您换过几份工作吗 |
[14:53] | I don’t know, I was still a young man, | 我不清楚 我当时还很年轻 |
[14:56] | still trying to… find myself. | 自己还很迷茫 |
[14:58] | Yeah, I get it. | 我懂了 |
[14:59] | I’m just looking for a number, sir. | 我只是需要一个数字 |
[15:01] | Three, maybe. | 可能三份工作吧 |
[15:03] | Three. | 三份 |
[15:04] | Three jobs in three years. | 三年里换了三份工作 |
[15:05] | That’s what you’re testifying to? | 这是你想要证明的吗 |
[15:07] | – Could be four. – Objection, Your Honor. | – 也许是四份 – 我反对 法官大人 |
[15:09] | Relevance? | 这和本案无关 |
[15:10] | Your Honor, the defense | 法官大人 我只是想 |
[15:11] | is just trying to illustrate to the jury | 向陪审团的成员说明 |
[15:14] | that my client has never denied that she did what she did; | 我的客户从不否认她做过什么 |
[15:18] | the issue in this trial is why she did it. | 关键是她为什么要这么做 |
[15:21] | And that’s all we are attempting | 这是我们想要 |
[15:23] | to illuminate, Your Honor. | 强调的地方 法官大人 |
[15:25] | Objection overruled. | 抗议无效 |
[15:28] | You may proceed. | 请继续 |
[15:30] | Yeah. Now, I’ll ask just one more time. | 那么我想再问一次 |
[15:32] | How many jobs did you hold during the three-year period | 您女儿出生后的三年里 |
[15:36] | after your daughter’s birth? | 您有过几份工作 |
[15:39] | Five. | 五份 |
[15:40] | Five. Really? | 五份 确定吗 |
[15:44] | Our records show 11, sir. | 我们的记录显示是十一份 |
[15:49] | Do you care to venture | 您能再告诉我们 在这期间 |
[15:51] | as to how many alcohol-related arrests during that period? | 您有多少次因喝酒而犯罪被拘留的吗 |
[15:55] | – I imagine you have that number as well. – Oh, I do, | – 这你应该也知道吧 – 当然 |
[15:58] | I do, and it’s almost as high as the number of jobs lost. | 这和你换工作的次数几乎一样多 |
[16:03] | Again, beginning with the birth of your first child, | 我再问您 从您第一个孩子出生开始 |
[16:06] | you were also on periods of federal assistance, | 您就已经在接受联邦救助 |
[16:08] | were you not? | 不是吗 |
[16:09] | Yes. | 是的 |
[16:11] | I was on assistance, but I’m not any longer. | 我确实在接受援助 但现在没有了 |
[16:13] | I haven’t been for years. | 已经很多年没有了 |
[16:14] | In fact, you remained on assistance | 事实上 在您女儿消失 |
[16:17] | for almost 18 months after your daughter’s disappearance, right? | 十八个月后 您仍在接受救助 对吗 |
[16:20] | – Yeah. So? – And isn’t it also true | – 是的 那又怎么样 – 还有 |
[16:21] | that you never mentioned | 您也从未向您的 |
[16:23] | to your caseworker that your daughter was gone, | 社会工作者提起您女儿走失的事 |
[16:26] | so that you can continue to receive | 这样您就能继续接受 |
[16:28] | that extra assistance the government pays | 政府向有未成年子女家庭 |
[16:30] | to families with minor children? | 提供的额外补助 不是吗 |
[16:35] | How’s the view? | 陪审团怎么看 |
[16:37] | Nobody is switching sides yet, | 暂时没人改变立场 |
[16:39] | but I can see we definitely have | 但我敢肯定 |
[16:41] | – their attention. – I’m sorry, | – 他们对此很关注 – 抱歉 |
[16:43] | I-I didn’t hear what you said. | 我没听清你说什么 |
[16:45] | Like I said, it was a difficult time. | 就像我说的 那段时间很艰难 |
[16:49] | I made some mistakes. | 我犯过一些错 |
[16:52] | I didn’t attend to certain things that needed attending to. | 很多需要我关注的事情我都没做好 |
[16:55] | I won’t deny that. | 这一点我并不否认 |
[16:56] | But I was a little busy | 但我一直忙着 |
[16:57] | putting up posters on telephone poles… | 在电话线杆上贴寻人启事 |
[17:01] | spending my days looking for my child. | 只为了找到我女儿 |
[17:04] | Be that as it may, | 就算是这样 |
[17:05] | you accepted federal funds under false pretense, | 你依然拿了不应得的联邦救助 |
[17:09] | – didn’t you? – Objection. | – 不是吗 – 我抗议 |
[17:10] | Asked and answered. | 这是个问答 |
[17:12] | Objection sustained. | 抗议有效 |
[17:13] | Ask another question. | 请再提一个问题 |
[17:16] | Actually, I have no further questions, Your Honor. | 我没有别的问题了 法官大人 |
[17:36] | I’m worried. I haven’t heard from Chloe since yesterday. | 我很担心 从昨天开始克洛伊就没联系我 |
[17:40] | That’s funny, she missed her appointment | 这就奇怪了 她本来约好了 |
[17:42] | with Chunk this morning to go over her testimony. | 今早要和特朗科一起检查证词的 |
[17:45] | All rise for the Honorable Judge Hopkins. | 全体起立 欢迎尊敬的霍金斯法官 |
[17:52] | Ms. Lawson, | 罗森女士 |
[17:53] | thank you for making the trip up from Florida. | 非常感谢您从佛罗里达赶到这里 |
[17:56] | Now, in 2008, | 在2008年 |
[17:59] | you were the Florida Child Services investigator | 您曾是佛罗里达儿童服务机构的调查员 |
[18:01] | assigned to Sarah Cooper’s case. | 负责萨拉·库帕的案子 |
[18:03] | – Isn’t that correct? – Yes. | – 对吗 – 没错 |
[18:05] | And apparently, you were called to the home | 而且 您不止一次 |
[18:08] | a number of times. | 被请到了原告的家里 |
[18:09] | I was. | 没错 |
[18:11] | Her aunt… | 她的婶婶… |
[18:13] | the defendant… | 也就是被告… |
[18:14] | seemed convinced that there was | 看起来非常肯定 |
[18:16] | some sort of abuse going on in the household. | 家里曾发生过某种家暴 |
[18:18] | So you investigated? | 那您调查过吗 |
[18:20] | I did. | 调查过 |
[18:21] | And what did you discover? | 您发现了什么呢 |
[18:23] | I found some minor issues with hygiene. | 我发现了一些小的卫生问题 |
[18:26] | – How do you mean? – The kitchen sink | – 您指的是 – 厨房水槽里 |
[18:28] | had dirty dishes in it. | 有脏碗盘没洗 |
[18:29] | Sarah’s clothes hadn’t been washed in a while. | 萨拉的衣服好多天没洗 |
[18:32] | Pretty standard stuff. | 这些都很正常 |
[18:34] | And frankly, to be expected in a household | 尤其是在一个母亲刚去世的家里 |
[18:37] | – where the mother had just passed. – And wasn’t there also | – 这再正常不过了 – 当时不是还担心 |
[18:40] | some concern about a bruise or bruises on her arms and legs? | 孩子的手臂和腿上有些淤青吗 |
[18:43] | Again, concerns from the defendant. | 这也是被告单方面的担忧 |
[18:47] | But when I saw the child, | 但我看见这个孩子时 |
[18:48] | it was hard to determine exactly what we were looking at. | 很难确定这个孩子是否遭受过家暴 |
[18:51] | Now, the law requires us to open an investigation | 法律规定 我们必须在接到投诉后的 |
[18:54] | 24 hours after someone files a concern, | 24小时内展开调查 |
[18:57] | and we did that. | 我们也这样做了 |
[18:59] | But it did take us a couple of days to get out there. | 但我们确实是几天后才到达的 |
[19:02] | And do you think that might have accounted for your inability | 您没能认出孩子身上的淤青和伤口 |
[19:05] | to recognize these bruises or marks as evidence of abuse? | 您认为这算是您的失误吗 |
[19:09] | Honestly, no. | 说实话 我不这样认为 |
[19:11] | Generally speaking, in child welfare cases, | 总的来说 在涉及儿童家暴的案子中 |
[19:13] | you’re almost always talking about injuries | 我们所讨论的几乎都是 |
[19:15] | that are profound enough to still be in evidence | 在经过72 甚至96小时后 |
[19:18] | 72, even 96 hours later. | 依然存在的损伤 |
[19:21] | So you saw nothing that gave you cause | 所以至少在您看来 |
[19:23] | to consider removing the child | 没有任何理由要让这个孩子 |
[19:25] | – from the home? – Oh, gosh, no. | – 搬出这个家 – 当然没有 |
[19:26] | That is always a last resort. | 这通常是下下之策 |
[19:28] | My feeling was that it would be best to continue | 我认为 最好的做法就是 |
[19:32] | to monitor the case, check back with the family bimonthly, | 继续监督案子的进展 两个月回访一次 |
[19:35] | so that’s what we did. | 我们也是这么做的 |
[19:36] | And when the child was brought to the hospital | 那么 孩子手臂骨折住院的时候 |
[19:38] | with a broken arm? | 是什么情况呢 |
[19:39] | We got there as quickly as we could. | 当时我们以最快的速度赶到了 |
[19:42] | But unfortunately, when we arrived, | 但很遗憾 我们到那里时 |
[19:45] | the hospital had just discovered that she was missing. | 医院正好发现孩子不见了 |
[19:52] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 提问结束 法官大人 |
[19:56] | I’m sure I don’t need | 我觉得我都不用说 |
[19:58] | to tell you we didn’t win any friends | 你肯定猜到了 这种证词 |
[19:59] | – with that testimony. – Hey. | – 不能帮我们赢得信任 – 嘿 |
[20:01] | The inning’s not over until both sides have been up to bat. | 我们还没上场 话可不能说的这么早 |
[20:04] | Ms. Lawson, | 罗森女士 |
[20:06] | you have a… | 您的工作… |
[20:09] | really difficult job, don’t you? | 相当辛苦 是吗 |
[20:11] | It’s not the easiest. | 确实不轻松 |
[20:13] | In fact, even over a decade ago, | 事实上 即使在十多年前 |
[20:16] | while you were in the midst of the Sarah Cooper case, | 当你正负责萨拉·库帕的案子时 |
[20:18] | you were carrying double the recommended number of cases, | 您所负责的案子数量也是 |
[20:22] | isn’t that right? | 推荐接收量的两倍 是吗 |
[20:23] | Goes with the territory. | 按实际情况办事 |
[20:25] | At least in Florida. | 至少在佛罗里达是的 |
[20:26] | Now, Ms. Lawson, | 罗森女士 |
[20:28] | after Mrs. Cooper passed away | 在库帕女士去世后 |
[20:31] | and during the time Sarah was living with her father, | 萨拉和她父亲一起住时 |
[20:34] | were you aware of any children | 您有发现任何一位 |
[20:36] | in the state of Florida that died as a result of abuse | 生活在佛罗里达的小孩 |
[20:41] | while being actively monitored by your agency? | 在您的机构的监督时死于家暴吗 |
[20:44] | Sadly, I’m sure some did. | 很遗憾 肯定是有的 |
[20:47] | I couldn’t give you a number. | 我没办法提供确切的数字 |
[20:49] | We are talking about 12 years ago. | 这毕竟是十二年前 |
[20:51] | Indeed. | 确实 |
[20:53] | Would it surprise you to learn that 12 years ago, | 如果我说这个数字是79个 |
[20:56] | that number was actually 79? | 您感到震惊吗 |
[21:01] | 79 children died | 七十九个孩子死了 |
[21:05] | as a result of abuse while being actively monitored | 还是在弗罗里达孩童服务调查人员的 |
[21:09] | by Florida Child Service investigators. | 密切监视下死于虐待 |
[21:12] | Now, | 那么 |
[21:13] | how long do you think the defendant should have waited? | 你觉得被告人还该等多久呢 |
[21:16] | Objection. Calls for speculation. | 反对 这是要求证人作出推测 |
[21:18] | How long should the defendant have waited | 被告人在她姐姐的孩子成为第八十个 |
[21:21] | before her sister’s child was number 80? | 受害者之前还要观望多久 |
[21:27] | Mr. Colón. | 科隆先生 |
[21:29] | You are out of order. | 请保持法庭秩序 |
[21:31] | Now the jury will ignore that last question. | 陪审团将忽略最后一个问题 |
[21:33] | I apologize, Your Honor. | 请原谅 法官大人 |
[21:35] | Actually, I have no further questions at this time. | 我现在没有其他问题了 |
[21:38] | Does the prosecution have | 控方还有什么问题 |
[21:40] | any further questions for this witness? | 要问这位证人吗 |
[21:42] | Not at this time, Your Honor. | 没有 法官大人 |
[21:44] | Then the witness is excused. | 证人可以退庭了 |
[21:48] | Please call your next witness. | 请下一位证人上庭 |
[21:52] | The prosecution would like to call Sarah Cooper to the stand. | 控方想请萨拉·库帕上庭作证 |
[22:16] | What was it like to find out | 当你发现你的名字并非本名 |
[22:19] | your name wasn’t your name, | 你的母亲也并非亲生 |
[22:21] | your mother wasn’t your mother? | 你有什么感受 |
[22:23] | It’s hard to describe. | 难以言表 |
[22:26] | Were you surprised to learn that your biological father | 这么多年来 你都被告知你生父 |
[22:29] | was alive, after being told | 死在了阿富汗 当你得知 |
[22:31] | for so many years that he had died in Afghanistan? | 他还活着时 你吃惊吗 |
[22:35] | Of course. | 当然 |
[22:36] | And what were you thinking, | 那么两天前 |
[22:37] | when you sat here in this courtroom | 当他在这阐述他是多么爱你 想你的时候 |
[22:40] | two days ago and watched him, | 同样坐在法庭上 |
[22:43] | very much alive, | 面对着活着的他的你 |
[22:45] | testify about how much he loved you and missed you? | 又是怎么想的呢 |
[22:49] | Just that I wanted to talk to him. | 我想跟他聊聊 |
[22:52] | Get to know him a little bit. | 想要多了解他 |
[22:55] | Now, | 现在 |
[22:57] | let’s talk about your aunt. | 让我们谈谈你的姨母 |
[23:00] | After years of telling you that she was your mother, | 这么多年来她一直都在对你灌输她是你的生母 |
[23:03] | that your father had died overseas, | 且你的生父死在了海外 |
[23:05] | what did she tell you about your father | 那么在被迫承认了你的生父 |
[23:08] | once she admitted that he was, in fact, alive? | 还活着时 她是怎么描述他的呢 |
[23:11] | What did she offer as an excuse | 她把你从生父身边 |
[23:13] | for taking you from him? | 带走的理由是什么呢 |
[23:16] | For keeping you from him? | 让你再没机会见他的理由 |
[23:18] | She said that he hurt my real mother. | 她说他打我妈妈 |
[23:24] | She said that he hurt me. | 说他打我 |
[23:26] | He broke my arm. | 把我的手臂打骨折 |
[23:28] | Did you believe her? | 你相信她吗 |
[23:29] | Objection. Calls for speculation. | 反对 这是要求证人作出推测 |
[23:31] | The attorney is badgering the witness. | 律师正在纠缠证人 |
[23:34] | And I question the relevance | 且我对这个问题与本案的 |
[23:36] | of this whole line of questioning. | 关联度持保留态度 |
[23:37] | I’ll withdraw the question, Your Honor. | 我撤回我的问题 法官大人 |
[23:39] | But if I may just ask one more thing. | 但请容许我再问一个问题 |
[23:42] | Sarah, | 萨拉 |
[23:44] | are you open to the possibility | 现在得知你的生父健在 |
[23:46] | of a relationship with your father | 你愿意设想和他重建 |
[23:48] | now that you know that he is alive? | 父女关系吗 |
[23:51] | I guess so. | 我想是的 |
[23:54] | He seems nice. | 他看起来很温柔 |
[23:56] | And I’d… | 而且我… |
[23:57] | kinda like to know what it’s like to have a father. | 有点想知道有父亲是什么感觉 |
[24:02] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 我没有问题了 法官大人 |
[24:08] | Chloe… | 克洛伊… |
[24:11] | Is it okay if I call you Chloe? | 我可以叫你克洛伊吗 |
[24:13] | Would you rather I address you as Sarah? | 还是说你觉得叫萨拉更好 |
[24:16] | Chloe’s okay. | 克洛伊也行 |
[24:17] | I’m kinda used to Chloe. | 说实话我更习惯克洛伊 |
[24:19] | Chloe it is. | 那就克洛伊 |
[24:21] | Now, why do you think | 我想问你 你觉得为什么 |
[24:24] | your mother made you believe your father was a war hero? | 你母亲想让你相信父亲是一位战争英雄呢 |
[24:28] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[24:29] | I guess so I’d respect him, feel good about him. | 可能是想让我尊重他 为他感到骄傲 |
[24:32] | And did she ever… | 那她有曾… |
[24:33] | say anything negative about him | 在警察指控她诱拐儿童之前 |
[24:36] | prior to the police charging her with kidnapping? | 说过你父亲什么不好吗 |
[24:39] | No. Never. | 从来没有 |
[24:41] | Actually, she always talked about him | 事实上每当她提到我父亲 |
[24:42] | like he was pretty amazing. | 总会说他是个杰出的男人 |
[24:44] | And would you say you’ve been well-cared-for | 那么你觉得在过去十二年里 她有给予 |
[24:48] | these past 12 years? | 你良好的照顾吗 |
[24:50] | Well-clothed? Well-fed? | 吃饱 穿暖 |
[24:53] | Did you feel loved? | 你有感受到被爱吗 |
[24:54] | I did. Yes. | 有的 |
[24:56] | And didn’t your mother put you in private school? | 那你妈妈是不是供你去私立学校 |
[25:00] | Encourage you to learn the violin? | 鼓励你学习小提琴 |
[25:02] | Teach you Spanish and French? | 教导你西班牙语和法语 |
[25:04] | You mean my aunt? | 你是说我姨妈吗 |
[25:07] | Yes, she’s been a wonderful parent to me. | 是的 她一直是一位好家长 |
[25:09] | And you’re old enough to understand that… | 你也到了理解这些的年龄… |
[25:13] | Private school, tutors, music lessons… | 私立学校 指导老师 音乐课程… |
[25:17] | all of that costs money. | 这所有的一切都要花钱 |
[25:19] | And who was it that was paying for it? | 那又是谁在为这一切买单呢 |
[25:21] | My aunt. | 我的姨妈 |
[25:22] | And, lastly, | 最后 |
[25:24] | have you ever known your aunt to be violent or aggressive? | 你的姨妈曾对你表现出暴力或有攻击性的一面吗 |
[25:28] | No. | 没有 |
[25:30] | Did she ever hit you? | 她打过你吗 |
[25:31] | No. | 没有 |
[25:32] | – She ever curse at you? – No. | – 她曾辱骂你吗 – 没有 |
[25:34] | Raise her voice? | 对你提高嗓门 |
[25:36] | Once or twice. But I probably deserved it. | 一两次吗 不过我多半也有错在先 |
[25:40] | Do you think she loves you? | 你觉得她爱你吗 |
[25:43] | Uh, yes. | 爱 |
[25:44] | I know she does. | 我知道她爱我 |
[25:47] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:49] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[25:54] | Give me a burp. | 打个嗝 |
[25:56] | I can’t put you down till I get a burp. | 在你打嗝之前我不能把你放下来 |
[26:03] | That was the wrong end. | 方向搞错了 |
[26:06] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[26:07] | I need a burp. Here we go. | 给我打个饱嗝吧 来 |
[26:10] | That’s a girl. | 好女孩儿 |
[26:13] | Give me a burp. | 打个饱嗝 |
[26:15] | I… | 我… |
[26:22] | Hello, Marissa. | 喂 玛丽莎 |
[26:24] | Am I catching you at a bad time? | 现在不方便吗 |
[26:26] | No, I’m just trying to wrap up the 10:00 p.m. feeding here | 没事 在给阿思翠的晚饭 |
[26:28] | in Astrid-land. | 做收尾工作 |
[26:30] | Intake went well. | 进食很顺利 |
[26:31] | We’re just working on some outbound action. | 但我们还需要一点输出反应 |
[26:33] | What’s up? | 什么事 |
[26:35] | Danny just called from Florida. | 丹尼从弗罗里达打电话过来了 |
[26:36] | She’s found two people that seem to corroborate | 她找到两个人可以证实 |
[26:38] | Elena’s story about Jim. | 埃林娜对吉姆的指控 |
[26:40] | One is a teacher | 其中一个是吉姆 |
[26:42] | at a preschool that Jim’s two-year-old attended. | 两岁儿子上的托儿所的老师 |
[26:44] | That is until she asked questions about bruises | 在她问起那孩子身上的淤青后 |
[26:47] | the little boy started showing up to school with. | 他们就转学了 |
[26:50] | And she also found | 另一个人是吉姆 |
[26:52] | a dermatologist his new wife was seeing. | 现任妻子去看过的皮肤病医生 |
[26:54] | Apparently, she has something to say as well. | 显然 她也能提供一些线索 |
[26:56] | Both are willing to fly up to testify. | 她们两个都愿意飞来提供证词 |
[27:00] | Well, why don’t you e-mail me | 那你现在就把她们的 |
[27:01] | all the pertinent details, | 相关资料邮件给我 |
[27:03] | and Benny and I will add ’em to the witness list | 本尼和我明天就把她们加到 |
[27:04] | tomorrow morning. | 证人名单里 |
[27:06] | Did Danny find the wife yet? | 丹尼找到吉姆的现任妻子了吗 |
[27:08] | She thinks she might be away on business, | 丹尼觉得那位妻子现在应该在外出差 |
[27:10] | – but she’s still looking. – Okay. | – 但她仍在试图联系 – 没错 |
[27:12] | Ooh, I felt that. | 噢 什么东西出来了 |
[27:14] | I got to go. | 我得挂了 |
[27:16] | Your Honor, these new witnesses | 法官大人 这些新证人 |
[27:18] | aren’t witnesses. | 不合规章 |
[27:19] | Excuse me, | 很遗憾 |
[27:21] | but the prosecution has rested. | 控方问询已经结束了 |
[27:22] | It is now time for the defense | 现在是被告的 |
[27:25] | to present our defense, | 辩驳时间 |
[27:27] | which is what we’re trying to do right now, Your Honor. | 我们现在正是在这样做 法官大人 |
[27:29] | Your Honor, not only have we had no time to prepare… | 法官大人 这样我们不仅没时间准备… |
[27:32] | Oh, take all the time you need. | 你可以尽情准备 |
[27:33] | Your Honor… | 法官大人… |
[27:36] | The charges before the court | 法庭前的指控是 |
[27:37] | – are extremely serious… – Which is why | – 是非常严重的 – 正因如此 |
[27:40] | these witnesses are so important, Your Honor. | 这些证人才如此重要 法官大人 |
[27:43] | They directly contradict Jim Cooper’s testimony. | 他们能直接驳回吉姆·库帕的证词 |
[27:47] | He said under oath | 他宣誓作证说 |
[27:48] | that he has never physically abused anyone. | 从未在肉体上虐待过任何人 |
[27:51] | Well, we have records | 我们有来自于 |
[27:52] | from Jim Cooper’s two-year-old son’s | 吉姆·库帕两岁儿子以前的 |
[27:55] | former preschool teacher, | 幼儿园老师的记录 |
[27:57] | who noticed fresh bruises on the boy. | 她在那个孩子身上发现了新鲜的伤痕 |
[27:59] | And when she confronted him about the bruises, | 而且当她为伤痕的事与他对质时 |
[28:02] | the teacher said that he abruptly pulled the kid | 他突然就让孩子 |
[28:05] | from the school. | 转学了 |
[28:06] | In other words, | 换句话说 |
[28:07] | she witnessed nothing. | 她什么也没看到 |
[28:08] | And, secondly, | 另外 |
[28:10] | the current Mrs. Cooper’s dermatologist | 现任库帕太太的皮肤科医生 |
[28:13] | treated her for a burn on her forearm, | 治疗过她小臂上的烧伤 |
[28:16] | which she suspected was from a cigarette, | 她怀疑那个伤痕是四周内 |
[28:18] | less than four weeks ago. | 被烟头烫的 |
[28:20] | Again, this is circumstantial evidence | 同上 这只是间接证据 |
[28:22] | and is irrelevant to the kidnapping charges. | 与诱拐指控无关 |
[28:28] | AUSA Knight makes a valid point. | 检方说的很有道理 |
[28:31] | The real question is | 真正的问题是 |
[28:33] | did the witnesses actually see | 这些证人亲眼看到 |
[28:35] | Mr. Cooper inflict these injuries. | 库帕先生造成这些伤害了吗 |
[28:37] | Judge Hopkins, we all know it’s unlikely | 霍金斯法官 我们都清楚 |
[28:39] | that Mr. Cooper would beat his two-year-old son | 库帕是不可能在大庭广众之下 |
[28:41] | in front of a crowd of onlookers | 殴打他两岁的儿子的 |
[28:43] | or burn his wife in public. | 或者在公共场所烫伤他的妻子 |
[28:44] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[28:46] | the jury should be allowed to hear the testimony, | 陪审团应该听到这些证词 |
[28:49] | review the documents, draw their own inferences. | 审查记录 自己做推断 |
[28:52] | No, no, no, no, no, no. I’m-I’m sorry. | 不不不 我很抱歉 |
[28:53] | I don’t agree. | 我不同意 |
[28:55] | Mr. Cooper is not | 库帕先生不是 |
[28:56] | on trial here. | 受审的人 |
[28:58] | And the probative value | 而且这些听起来 |
[29:00] | of what sounds like speculation and-and hearsay | 像猜测和传闻的证据 其证据价值 |
[29:03] | is outweighed by the prejudicial effect it’s certain to have. | 肯定会被它产生的偏见而夸大 |
[29:07] | And none of it is relevant | 这些证据都与你的委托人 |
[29:08] | as to whether or not your client kidnapped his child, | 是否诱拐了他的孩子无关 |
[29:11] | which is the only issue the jury is here to resolve. | 而那才是陪审团唯一要解决的问题 |
[29:15] | Now, I have to agree with prosecution. | 现在 我只能同意控方的意见 |
[29:18] | Unless these people | 除非这些人 |
[29:20] | actually witnessed Mr. Cooper hurt someone, | 亲眼目睹了库帕先生伤害过什么人 |
[29:22] | their testimony is irrelevant. | 否则他们的证词都无关 |
[29:25] | Do you have any other witnesses you want to present? | 你们还有别的证人要上庭吗 |
[29:27] | With Your Honor’s permission, | 如果法官大人允许的话 |
[29:29] | we would like to ask for a one-day continuance. | 我们希望庭审延期一天 |
[29:32] | I’d love to confer with my client on next steps. | 我要和委托人确认一下接下来的安排 |
[29:36] | It’s like I told you. | 我跟你说过了 |
[29:38] | Bottom line is she did it. | 无论如何她确实做了 |
[29:40] | She took this man’s child. | 她带走了这个人的孩子 |
[29:43] | Kind of impossible | 为无可辩驳的事实 |
[29:45] | to mount a defense against something that’s indisputable. | 进行辩护似乎不太可能 |
[29:55] | I just heard. No court today. | 我刚刚听说 今天不开庭 |
[29:57] | They want me to change, take me back to prison. | 他们想让我换了衣服 回监狱 |
[30:00] | Is everything all right? | 有什么问题吗 |
[30:03] | We need to talk. | 我们要谈谈 |
[30:05] | We can | 我们可以 |
[30:06] | press forward. | 努力争取 |
[30:07] | Mr. Colon could put you on the stand. | 科隆先生可以让你作证 |
[30:10] | You’re really the only witness we have. | 你是我们唯一的证人 |
[30:12] | Unfortunately, | 不幸的是 |
[30:14] | you’re not the witness we need. | 你不是我们需要的证人 |
[30:17] | What do you mean? | 你是什么意思 |
[30:18] | We need someone | 我们需要有人 |
[30:19] | who can tell the jury under oath | 能宣誓作证 告诉陪审团 |
[30:21] | that they’ve actually seen Mr. Cooper be physically abusive. | 他亲眼目睹了库帕先生实施虐待 |
[30:25] | Preferably multiple times. | 最好是多次目睹过 |
[30:28] | It’s the only thing | 这是唯一能让 |
[30:29] | that’s gonna make the jury second-guess | 陪审团对地方检察官主张 |
[30:32] | the A.D.A.’s assertion | 你是诱拐犯的断言 |
[30:33] | that you’re nothing more than a kidnapper. | 产生怀疑的办法 |
[30:35] | With your permission, what I’d like to do | 如果你同意的话 我希望去找一下 |
[30:37] | is go to the A.D.A. And see if we can’t broker | 助理地方检察官 看看我们能不能 |
[30:40] | some kind of a deal. | 达成某种认罪协议 |
[30:42] | She’s not a stupid person. | 她不笨 |
[30:44] | She knows that this hearsay | 她知道这些道听途说和 |
[30:46] | and circumstantial evidence may not hold up in court, | 间接证据可能在法庭上站不住脚 |
[30:48] | but I’m willing to bet she knows there’s a whiff of truth to it. | 但是我打赌她知道这里面多少有些真实性 |
[30:52] | Maybe we can use that | 也许我们能够利用这一点 |
[30:54] | to wrestle some favorable terms from her. | 从她那里争取一些有利条件 |
[30:58] | Would I still have to go to prison? | 那我还是要坐牢吗 |
[31:01] | Yes. | 是的 |
[31:03] | I’m hoping we can keep it to less than five years, | 我希望我们可以争取到少于五年 |
[31:06] | as opposed to the ten to 20 you’re looking at now. | 而不是你现在面临的十到二十年刑期 |
[31:10] | Oh, my God. | 我的天呐 |
[31:15] | What about Chloe? | 那克洛伊呢 |
[31:18] | She’d be returned back to her father. | 她会被送回父亲身边 |
[31:23] | She’s 15. | 她十五岁了 |
[31:25] | If he starts abusing her, | 如果他开始虐待她 |
[31:27] | it will not stay secret long. | 纸是包不住火的 |
[31:29] | And for what it’s worth, | 不管有没有用 |
[31:30] | your ex-brother-in-law is on notice. | 大家现在都会留意你的前姐夫 |
[31:33] | He knows we’re all watching. | 他知道我们都盯着他呢 |
[31:37] | And would I ever get to see her again? | 那我以后还能再见她吗 |
[31:41] | Do I get to see Chloe? | 我有权见克洛伊吗 |
[31:45] | You’d be a convicted kidnapper, so… | 你会成为一个定罪诱拐犯 所以 |
[31:48] | no, I don’t think that’s at all likely. | 不会 我想那是不可能了 |
[32:08] | Mrs. Cooper? | 库帕太太 |
[32:11] | My name is Danny James. I’m an investigator | 我叫丹尼·詹姆斯 是一名调查员 |
[32:13] | working on a court case involving your husband | 正在调查与你丈夫和他前一段婚姻 |
[32:16] | and his daughter from a previous marriage. | 所生的女儿有关的一场庭审案件 |
[32:19] | I’m… kind of on vacation with my son. | 我和儿子正在度假 |
[32:21] | I don’t really want to get involved. | 不想牵扯其中 |
[32:24] | I promise, it’ll be two minutes. | 我保证 就聊一会儿 |
[32:28] | Mrs. Cooper, don’t make me get a subpoena. | 库帕太太 别逼我拿传票来 |
[32:38] | Can we make this fast? | 我们快点说完行吗 |
[32:41] | I-I promised my little boy I would take him to a water park. | 我答应了儿子要带他去水上公园 |
[32:44] | Sure. And I’m sorry. | 没问题 抱歉了 |
[32:46] | Uh, look, we have reason to believe that your husband | 听着 我们有理由相信你丈夫 |
[32:49] | may have been physically abusive to your little boy. | 可能一直在肉体上虐待你儿子 |
[32:52] | And to you. | 也虐待你 |
[32:54] | Seriously? | 说真的吗 |
[32:56] | That’s what you want to talk to me about? | 你就是想跟我说这个 |
[32:58] | Where did you hear that? | 你从哪儿听说的 |
[33:00] | That’s crazy. | 这是胡扯 |
[33:02] | Are you married? | 你结婚了吗 |
[33:04] | You ever been married? | 你结过婚吗 |
[33:06] | – No. – Well, I’ve only been at it | – 没有 – 我结婚 |
[33:08] | for a few years, but let me tell you two things | 也没几年 但是我要告诉你两件 |
[33:10] | I know for sure. | 我能肯定的事 |
[33:12] | One, marriage, | 第一 婚姻 |
[33:15] | like any deal, is filled with lots of good | 同别的关系一样 充满了美好的事情 |
[33:19] | and also some bad. | 也有糟糕的事情 |
[33:21] | My boy. | 我的儿子 |
[33:22] | I love my boy. | 我深爱我的儿子 |
[33:24] | And that’s one of the goods, one of the greats. | 这就是美好的事情 最棒的一件事 |
[33:27] | And I don’t worry much about… | 而且我再也不用担心 |
[33:29] | bills anymore, and you can’t hate that, so… | 钱的问题了 这一点谁不喜欢 所以 |
[33:32] | if my husband comes home sometimes | 如果我丈夫某一天回到家里 |
[33:34] | – and he’s not in a stellar mood, then… – I’m not just talking | – 心情不好 – 我说的不是 |
[33:37] | about someone in a bad mood, Mrs. Cooper. | 谁心情不好的问题 库帕太太 |
[33:39] | And the other thing… and you ought to know this… | 另外一件事 你要知道 |
[33:42] | uh, you can’t force me to testify against my own husband. | 你不能强迫我出庭指证我丈夫 |
[33:46] | You can’t. | 你不能 |
[33:49] | Plus, I don’t have anything to testify to. | 再说 我也没什么好指证的 |
[33:52] | So are we done here? | 我们聊完了吗 |
[33:55] | I can help you. I can help both of you. | 我能帮你 帮你们母子俩 |
[33:58] | By how? | 怎么帮 |
[34:00] | By-by destroying my family? | 用毁掉我的家庭这种方式 |
[34:03] | And anyway, like I said… | 反正 我说过了 |
[34:06] | isn’t what happens between a husband and a wife private? | 夫妻之间的事情不应该是保密的吗 |
[34:09] | Conversations between spouses are privileged, but… | 配偶之间谈话是受特权保护的 但是 |
[34:12] | not when there are allegations of abuse. | 有虐待指控的情况除外 |
[34:15] | Okay, I think you need to go now. | 好了 我觉得你该走了 |
[34:17] | You wouldn’t have to look at him in court. | 你不需要在法庭上面对他 |
[34:19] | We could have him sequestered. | 我们可以把他隔离 |
[34:21] | And after the trial, my boss and I, | 庭审之后 我和我的老板 |
[34:23] | we would help you and your little son back on your feet. | 我们会帮你和你的儿子安顿下来 |
[34:27] | And in a safe place, I promise. | 在一个安全的地方 我保证 |
[34:28] | That is… | 就是这样 |
[34:31] | If you’re willing to testify. | 如果你愿意作证的话 |
[34:34] | That is… | 前提是… |
[34:35] | if you’re willing to admit | 如果你愿意承认 |
[34:37] | you actually have something to testify to. | 你确实有可以作证的内容 |
[34:42] | Mommy? | 妈妈 |
[34:45] | Noah. | 诺亚 |
[34:48] | Say hello to the nice lady. | 跟这个好阿姨打招呼 |
[35:04] | Let me call my mother. | 我给我妈妈打个电话 |
[35:07] | See if she can take my baby. | 看她能不能照顾孩子 |
[35:10] | Mrs. Cooper, | 库帕太太 |
[35:12] | I know it’s uncomfortable you being here. | 我知道你来这里十分不舒服 |
[35:16] | We’ve sequestered your husband as per your request, | 我们按你的要求让你的丈夫回避了 |
[35:19] | and, speaking for the defense, | 以被告的名义 |
[35:22] | we really appreciate you making the trip. | 我们很高兴你愿意赶来 |
[35:24] | – It’s okay. – Now, | – 没事的 – 那么 |
[35:26] | when your husband told you he needed to come to New York | 当你丈夫告诉你他需要来纽约 |
[35:31] | for a court date, | 出庭的时候 |
[35:32] | did he explain the nature of the trial? | 他解释庭审细节了吗 |
[35:35] | Uh, no, not really. | 没有 不算是 |
[35:37] | He said it was a business thing. | 他说是关于工作的 |
[35:40] | So you and your two-year-old son | 所以你和你两岁的儿子 |
[35:43] | just decided to take a little road trip? | 就决定去公路旅行吗 |
[35:45] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:47] | I just… | 我只是… |
[35:50] | with Jim away… | 吉姆不在… |
[35:53] | I just needed to do some thinking. | 我需要思考一些事情 |
[35:55] | Well… | 那… |
[35:56] | I’m sorry to have interrupted your trip. | 我很抱歉打扰了你的旅行 |
[36:00] | So let me get right into it. | 那我就马上切入重点了 |
[36:03] | Here goes nothing. | 做好意料之内的准备 |
[36:05] | Mrs. Cooper, | 库帕太太 |
[36:06] | have you ever been afraid of your husband? | 你有害怕过你的丈夫吗 |
[36:10] | Yes. | 有 |
[36:11] | And can you please explain to the jury why? | 你能跟陪审团解释一下为什么吗 |
[36:15] | Uh, he yells at me sometimes. | 他有时冲我大喊大叫 |
[36:19] | Like when our two-year-old cries. | 比如我们两岁儿子哭的时候 |
[36:22] | And he’ll, uh, slam doors… | 他会 甩门… |
[36:25] | break things when something upsets him. | 心情不好的时候摔东西 |
[36:29] | And in the past, | 那过去这些时间 |
[36:30] | when something upset him, has he ever gotten physical | 当他心情不好的时候 他有没有过 |
[36:33] | with you or Noah? | 对你或者诺亚动用暴力 |
[36:37] | This was from a week ago. | 这是一周前的 |
[36:47] | Let the record reflect that the witness is talking | 庭审请记录证人所说的是 |
[36:50] | about the bruising and swelling on the right side of her face. | 她右边脸颊上的淤青以及肿胀 |
[36:55] | And can you please explain the events surrounding the injury? | 你能够解释一下这个伤痕吗 |
[37:00] | I told Jim I wanted to go back to school, | 我跟吉姆说我想继续上学 |
[37:03] | and he started screaming about who would care for Noah. | 他就开始大喊大叫说谁来照顾诺亚 |
[37:07] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么 |
[37:09] | I-I told him… that we would figure it out. | 我 我跟他说… 我们会想到办法的 |
[37:12] | A lot of people figure it out. | 很多人都解决了 |
[37:14] | – And how did he respond? – He… | – 然后他是怎么反应的 – 他… |
[37:17] | balled up his fist and… | 握起拳头然后… |
[37:22] | I lost two teeth. | 我被打掉了两颗牙 |
[37:29] | Now, let’s talk about your two-year-old son. | 那现在我们谈一下你们两岁的儿子 |
[37:32] | He has his arm in a sling, doesn’t he? | 他曾经把他的胳膊拉脱臼过 是不是 |
[37:36] | He does. | 是的 |
[37:38] | And… | 那么… |
[37:39] | do you know what happened to him? | 你知道发生了什么吗 |
[37:40] | Yes, and no. | 知道 但也不完全知道 |
[37:43] | I had to work on a Saturday, | 那个周六我得上班 |
[37:46] | and Jim stayed home with him. | 吉姆和他留在家里 |
[37:48] | He wasn’t happy about it. | 他对此不太高兴 |
[37:52] | And when I got home eight hours later, | 当我八小时后回家的时候 |
[37:54] | they had already been to the emergency room and back. | 他们已经去了急诊室回来了 |
[37:58] | Apparently, Noah’s arm got pulled out of its socket. | 很明显 诺亚的胳膊脱臼了 |
[38:04] | Jim said they were just horsing around. | 吉姆说他们只是在打闹 |
[38:12] | What did Noah say? | 诺亚怎么说的 |
[38:13] | Objection. Hearsay. | 反对 道听途说 |
[38:14] | Your Honor, | 法官大人 |
[38:15] | the child is two years old. | 孩子只有两岁 |
[38:17] | Would you really have me call him here | 难道您要让我把他叫来 |
[38:20] | – to testify? – I’ll allow it. | – 作证吗 – 我选择允许 |
[38:24] | Witness will answer the question. | 证人请回答问题 |
[38:26] | No, he-he didn’t really say anything. | 不 他 他没说什么 |
[38:28] | He’s only two, and he’s very shy. | 他才两岁 还很内向 |
[38:33] | But every time Jim comes near him, | 但是每次吉姆靠近他的时候 |
[38:35] | – he hides behind my leg. – Objection. | – 他就会躲在我的身后 – 反对 |
[38:36] | Your Honor, this is simply speculation. | 法官大人 这只是推测 |
[38:39] | It proves nothing. | 无法证明任何事 |
[38:40] | Objection sustained. The jury will disregard | 反对有效 陪审团请忽略 |
[38:43] | the witness’s testimony with respect to her two-year-old child. | 证人关于她两岁儿子的证词 |
[38:47] | Isn’t it true your son had a… | 那你儿子的一个… |
[38:49] | preschool teacher that expressed concern | 幼儿园老师曾经表示 |
[38:52] | about visible bruising on the boy’s body | 对孩子身上的淤青很担心 |
[38:56] | and brought it to your husband’s attention, | 然后将此事告诉了你的丈夫 |
[38:58] | who responded by withdrawing your child from the school? | 而他的决定是让孩子从那里退学吗 |
[39:01] | – Way to slip one in, Benny. – Your Honor, | – 这个说的好 本尼 – 法官大人 |
[39:03] | objection. This is just more hearsay | 反对 这是更多的道听途说 |
[39:05] | masquerading as testimony. | 装作是证词 |
[39:07] | Objection sustained. Counselor, | 反对有效 律师 |
[39:10] | I know what you’re doing. | 我知道你在做什么 |
[39:11] | I don’t like it. | 我不喜欢 |
[39:13] | Now, I need you to ask questions | 现在 我需要你只问 |
[39:15] | that pertain only to events | 与事件相关的 |
[39:16] | that the witness would have seen for herself. | 证人亲眼所见的事件的问题 |
[39:18] | Yes, Your Honor. | 好的 法官大人 |
[39:20] | Come on. | 拜托 |
[39:21] | They got to be reacting to this. | 他们肯定对这个有反应吧 |
[39:24] | Indeed they are. You just flipped two. | 没错 你刚刚搞定了两个人 |
[39:31] | Mrs. Cooper… | 库帕太太… |
[39:34] | were there any other incidents of physical violence | 还有其他人身暴力事件 |
[39:37] | that either involved you or to which… | 牵扯到你们两个人… |
[39:40] | you were a direct witness? | 是你亲眼所见的吗 |
[39:42] | He, uh… | 他… |
[39:45] | burned me. | 烧伤了我 |
[39:48] | Here and here. | 这里还有这里 |
[39:51] | With cigarettes. | 用烟烫的 |
[39:53] | He… | 他… |
[39:56] | bit my ear. | 咬了我的耳朵 |
[39:58] | I had to get stitches. | 我得去缝针 |
[40:01] | Anything else? | 还有吗 |
[40:04] | He kicked me once. | 他有一次踢了我 |
[40:06] | Kicked you where, Mrs. Cooper? | 踢在哪里 库帕太太 |
[40:10] | Between my legs. | 两腿中间 |
[40:14] | And you were able to document each of these incidents? | 这些事件你都有记录在案吗 |
[40:19] | In each case, | 每一次事件后 |
[40:21] | you went and sought medical attention afterwards? | 你都去了医院吗 |
[40:23] | Yes. | 是的 |
[40:25] | Although, I always made up a story | 但是 我每次都编造了 |
[40:27] | as to how I got the injury. | 我如何受伤的故事 |
[40:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:32] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[40:40] | So, you admit you lied about the details | 所以 你承认你去医院的时候 |
[40:43] | when you sought medical help for these… | 对事件中所谓的… |
[40:45] | so-called injuries? | 伤痕细节撒谎了吗 |
[40:47] | Yes. I was embarrassed. | 是的 我感到尴尬 |
[40:50] | So tell me, Mrs. Cooper, | 那告诉我 库帕太太 |
[40:52] | now that we’ve established that you’re an admitted liar, | 现在我们知道了你亲口承认自己是骗子 |
[40:55] | why should we believe anything else you say? | 为什么我们要相信你说的其他话呢 |
[40:59] | For instance, | 比如 |
[41:00] | how do we know these injures aren’t self-inflicted? | 我们怎么知道这些伤痕不是你自己造成的呢 |
[41:05] | Well, I… | 我… |
[41:06] | I wouldn’t burn my own arm… | 我不会烧自己… |
[41:08] | ma’am. | 女士 |
[41:11] | And I’m not even sure how I would bite my own ear. | 我更不知道怎么能够咬到自己的耳朵 |
[41:13] | Not to mention kick myself… | 跟不用说踢自己了… |
[41:17] | where I indicated. | 往我刚刚说的地方 |
[41:36] | Wait, where is Mr. Colon? | 等等 科隆先生呢 |
[41:39] | Well, he stayed behind | 他留下 |
[41:40] | to talk to your ex-brother-in-law’s new wife. | 跟你前姐夫的新妻子谈谈 |
[41:42] | She wanted to file charges against him, | 她想起诉他 |
[41:44] | and Benny’s offered to put her in touch | 本尼愿意帮她联系 |
[41:46] | with the D.A. In Florida. | 佛罗里达的检察官 |
[41:52] | How do I do this? | 我该怎么办呢 |
[41:54] | Where do I start? | 从哪开始呢 |
[41:55] | Am I Elena, or do I go back to being Angela? | 我是埃林娜 还是继续当安吉拉 |
[41:59] | What do people call me? What do I call myself? | 人们叫我什么 我叫自己什么呢 |
[42:02] | Mom! | 妈妈 |