时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:29] | Want to see what you’re gonna look like in 30 years? | 想不想看看自己三十年后的样子 |
[00:31] | Honey, don’t you know no woman wants to see | 亲爱的 没哪个女人想看 |
[00:33] | what she’s gonna look like when she’s older? | 自己变老之后的样子吧 |
[00:35] | Come on. It’s just an app. | 拜托 只是个软件嘛 |
[00:36] | I take your picture and then it makes you look old. | 我给你拍照 这个软件模拟你变老的样子 |
[00:39] | I really don’t want… | 我真的不想… |
[00:41] | You closed your eyes. One more. | 你闭眼了 再来一张 |
[00:44] | And then you’ll let me read my book in peace? | 然后你就放我安静读书吗 |
[00:46] | Probably not. | 大概不会哦 |
[01:07] | Welcome back. | 欢迎回到人间 |
[01:09] | Happy you finally decided to join us. | 很高兴您最终决定回到我们身边 |
[01:12] | All right, careful. Don’t look directly at the light. | 好了 小心 别直视灯光 |
[01:15] | Look above the light. | 视线越过光 |
[01:17] | Look at the tip of my nose. | 看我的鼻尖 |
[01:19] | Good. | 很好 |
[01:20] | Tell me your name. | 告诉我您的名字 |
[01:22] | Uh, Walt.m.ra. | 沃特·莫拉 |
[01:24] | What day is it today,.Mr. Mora? | 今天是哪天 莫拉先生 |
[01:26] | I have no idea. | 我不清楚 |
[01:28] | Well, what’s the last thing you can remember? | 好吧 那么您记得的最后一件事是什么 |
[01:31] | Being at work. | 在上班 |
[01:32] | Piloting a train out of Grand Central, | 把火车开出中央车站 |
[01:34] | heading towards, uh, Westchester County. | 往威彻斯特郡开去 |
[01:38] | Where am I? | 我在哪 |
[01:40] | Am I in the hospital? | 我是在医院吗 |
[01:42] | St. Benjamin’s, honey. | 我们在圣本杰明医院 亲爱的 |
[01:45] | This is Dr..m.dawar. | 这位是梅德渥医生 |
[01:47] | She’s been taking great care of you. | 她一直在好好照顾你 |
[01:50] | What kind of care? | 什么照顾 |
[01:51] | You’ve been here six days,.Mr. Mora. | 您入院已经六天了 莫拉先生 |
[01:54] | There was an accident. | 出了一场车祸 |
[01:58] | I don’t remember any accident. | 我不记得什么车祸 |
[02:01] | Are you sure? | 您确定吗 |
[02:03] | Completely sure. | 完全确定 |
[02:05] | You ran headfirst into another train | 您一头撞进停在轨道上的 |
[02:07] | that was parked on the tracks. | 另一辆火车上了 |
[02:10] | Four people died. | 死了四个人 |
[02:12] | This true, Gloria? | 这是真的吗 格洛丽亚 |
[02:14] | CT scans of your brain | 给你的大脑做的CT |
[02:16] | show that you suffered a traumatic brain injury. | 结果显示您有创伤性脑损伤 |
[02:18] | With traumatic brain injury, it’s quite common | 在这种情况下 丧失导致创伤 |
[02:20] | to lose memories associated with the incident | 发生的事故的记忆 |
[02:22] | in which the injury occurred. | 是很常见的事情 |
[02:24] | In this case, the crash. | 对您来说 也就是撞车 |
[02:32] | Will I ever remember… | 我还能不能记得起… |
[02:34] | what happened, how it happened? | 发生了什么 怎么发生的吗 |
[02:36] | It’s possible. | 是可能的 |
[02:39] | But not terribly likely. | 但可能性不大 |
[02:43] | I guess most of all, | 我想最重要的是 |
[02:44] | we’re looking for more space. | 我们想要更大的空间 |
[02:48] | We just had a baby girl and, uh, | 我们的宝贝女儿才出生 |
[02:50] | it would be great if the building had a playroom | 如果楼里1有活动室或者泳池 |
[02:52] | or maybe a pool. | 会很棒的 |
[02:54] | Not right now. Come back in half an hour. | 现在不行 半个小时后来 |
[03:00] | Why wouldn’t you want your baby | 你怎么不想让你家孩子 |
[03:01] | welcomed into the Catholic faith? | 投入天主教的怀抱呢 |
[03:05] | I’m gonna have to call you back. | 我回头打给你 |
[03:06] | A religious fanatic just walked into my office. | 有个宗教极端分子刚跑进我办公室 |
[03:08] | He’s foaming at the mouth and speaking in tongues. | 不仅口吐白沫 还大说方言 |
[03:09] | It’s not pretty. | 这可不好玩 |
[03:13] | This is not healthy, Benny. | 这样不健康 本尼 |
[03:15] | Your sister getting you involved in our private business… | 你姐姐把你扯进我们的私人事务… |
[03:17] | It is not good for my home life and it is not good | 这对我的家庭生活和你的职业生涯 |
[03:19] | for your professional life, if you follow my drift. | 都没有好处 要是你明白我的意思的话 |
[03:23] | You know, Bull… | 你知道 布尔… |
[03:25] | Baptism is a holy sacrament. | 洗礼可是圣礼 |
[03:28] | It frees your child | 这能让你的孩子 |
[03:31] | from original sin. | 洗去原罪 |
[03:33] | It cleanses her soul. | 能净化她的灵魂 |
[03:35] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[03:36] | You think my daughter’s soul needs cleansing? | 你觉得我女儿的灵魂需要净化吗 |
[03:40] | Hmm. What do you think she does after we put her down at night? | 你觉得我们晚上放下她后她会做什么呢 |
[03:43] | {\4c&H000000&.m.ybe she sneaks out, robs a bank? | 也许她会溜出去 抢银行 |
[03:46] | {\4c&H000000&.m.ybe she’s having a torrid affair | 也许她会跟 |
[03:47] | with the neighbor’s husband. | 邻居家丈夫乱搞 |
[03:48] | Go ahead and make fun. | 继续编 继续笑 |
[03:50] | Okay, I will. | 好呀 |
[03:52] | Okay, I won’t. Look… | 好吧不编了 听着… |
[03:55] | I respect how devout you are, Benny. | 我尊重的你的虔诚 本尼 |
[03:57] | In fact, I even find it somewhat inspiring. | 事实上 我甚至发现这挺鼓励人心的 |
[04:00] | But not everyone feels the way you do, uh, | 但不是所有人都像你那样想的 |
[04:04] | esp… including your sister. | 特别… 包括你姐姐 |
[04:07] | Really? And you know that? | 真的吗 你还知道 |
[04:09] | Benjamin Colón, your sister | 本杰明·科隆 你姐姐 |
[04:11] | is the living definition of a C.E.O. Catholic. | 是个活生生的节日限定天主教徒 |
[04:13] | A C.E.O. Catholic? | 节日限定 |
[04:15] | Christmas, Easter only. | 只过圣诞节和复活节 |
[04:16] | Bull… | 布尔… |
[04:19] | every single member of the Colón family has been baptized. | 科隆家所有人都受过洗礼的 |
[04:22] | E… Every single one. | 所… 所有人 |
[04:24] | W… Why would you want to prevent that tradition from continuing? | 为… 为什么你要阻止这项传统延续呢 |
[04:27] | You know what else has been a family tradition of yours? | 你知道你家还有别的传统嘛 |
[04:30] | Being married when you have a baby. | 奉子成婚 |
[04:32] | And unless the Vatican put out a memo that I missed, | 除非我错过了梵蒂冈的某个新教义 |
[04:35] | that’s still one of the sacraments, too. | 否则婚姻也还是圣事之一嘛 |
[04:38] | What does that have to do with anything? | 那又有什么关系 |
[04:40] | I’m just saying, I asked your sister to marry me, she said no. | 我只是说 我向你姐姐求婚 她拒绝了 |
[04:43] | How come she’s the one who gets to pick and choose | 那凭什么又该她选择参加 |
[04:45] | the sacraments that matter? | 重要圣礼呢 |
[04:47] | – Go away. – Go away. | – 走开 – 走开 |
[04:50] | This a bad time? | 来错时候了 |
[04:53] | Okay, then. Uh, your next appointment is here. | 好吧 你们下一场会面到时间了 |
[04:56] | Walter and Gloria.m.ra. | 沃特跟格洛丽亚·莫拉 |
[04:59] | The truth is | 事实是 |
[05:01] | I can’t remember anything about the accident. | 我完全没有跟车祸相关的记忆 |
[05:04] | I just can’t. | 我就是记不起来 |
[05:08] | They say I fell asleep, | 他们说我睡着了 |
[05:10] | and I can’t say that I didn’t. | 我也无法否认 |
[05:13] | You know… | 要知道… |
[05:15] | All I know is that four people are dead. | 我所知的一切就是有四个人死了 |
[05:18] | And I was the one driving the train. | 而我是那个开车的人 |
[05:23] | And you came to us through… | 而你找到我们是通过… |
[05:25] | The locomotive operator’s union. | 机车操作员工会 |
[05:28] | They gave us a list of lawyers. | 他们给我提供了一份律师名单 |
[05:29] | And, uh, they said you two were very good. | 他们说你俩很厉害 |
[05:32] | Uh, they told me | 他们让我 |
[05:34] | to give you this letter. | 给你们看这封信 |
[05:39] | Okay, so… | 好的 那么… |
[05:41] | the union will pay your legal bills. | 工会会为你付打官司的钱 |
[05:43] | Well, | 那么 |
[05:44] | u-uh, can you tell me anything about the moments before? | 可以跟我们说说车祸前发生的事吗 |
[05:48] | You were going to work. | 你要去上班 |
[05:49] | Did you maybe have a drink beforehand? | 之前有没有可能喝过酒 |
[05:53] | Take any cold medicine? | 吃过任何感冒药 |
[05:55] | {\4c&H000000&.m.ybe any other drugs? Were you unusually tired? | 或者别的药 当时是否感到不同寻常的疲惫 |
[05:58] | I mean, sure, I was tired. | 当然我很累 |
[06:00] | Yeah, it was midnight when my shift started. | 我那一轮班是在半夜开始 |
[06:04] | Any body’d be tired. | 任何人都会感到疲惫的 |
[06:08] | Yeah, um… uh, normally, I try to work days. | 是啊 嗯… 通常 我尽量在白天工作 |
[06:11] | Yeah. Well, the problem is, uh, | 是的 问题在于 |
[06:14] | when we get into court, | 我们上法庭的时候 |
[06:15] | the other side is gonna ask, “If you were so tired, | 另一方会说 如果你如此劳累 |
[06:18] | why did you go to work and agree to drive a train?” | 为什么你还要去上班 同意开车呢 |
[06:22] | That’s my job. | 因为这是我的工作 |
[06:23] | You know? | 你知道吗 |
[06:25] | Uh, any time I work nights, I’m tired. | 每次上晚班的时候我都会累 |
[06:27] | Everybody is, but it doesn’t stop me from working. | 每个人都会 但这无法阻止我上班 |
[06:31] | Doesn’t stop me from doing a good job. | 无法阻止我做好我的工作 |
[06:34] | The truth is my husband | 事实是 我丈夫 |
[06:35] | hasn’t been sleeping well for a while. | 有一段时间没睡好了 |
[06:38] | We… | 我们… |
[06:40] | Our daughter passed away | 我们的女儿六个月前 |
[06:42] | six months ago from leukemia. | 因白血病过世 |
[06:46] | Neither of us have been sleeping well for a while. | 所以最近我们都无法安眠 |
[06:52] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[06:55] | I can only imagine how painful that must have been. | 我只能想象那肯定非常痛苦 |
[06:59] | It was a long battle, and… | 她跟病魔斗争了很长时间 并且… |
[07:02] | she fought hard, | 她也很努力 |
[07:03] | but the good Lord needed her in Heaven. | 但上帝要她回天堂去 |
[07:08] | And on top of that, | 而且除此之外 |
[07:10] | the train company is working Walter to the bone. | 火车公司压榨沃特到了极致 |
[07:12] | Long hours. Sometimes days, sometimes nights. | 每天都工作很长时间 有时候在白天 有时是晚上 |
[07:16] | Anytime they call, he goes, | 一来电话 他就去工作 |
[07:19] | no questions asked. | 什么也不问 |
[07:22] | Feels like he can’t say no. | 就好像他根本无法拒绝 |
[07:24] | ‘Cause if he does, then they start | 因为如果他说了 公司就会 |
[07:26] | scheduling him for fewer hours. | 减少他的工作时间 |
[07:29] | It’s their way of keeping you in line. | 他们就是这样让人乖乖听话的 |
[07:33] | He was back on a train | 我们女儿的葬礼三天过后 |
[07:35] | three days after we buried our daughter. | 他就回去开火车了 |
[07:45] | Okay, boss, | 好吧 老大 |
[07:46] | how do we convince a jury our client | 连我们的委托人都不能确定自己没有睡着 |
[07:48] | didn’t do it when even our client | 我们要怎么说服陪审团 |
[07:51] | isn’t sure he didn’t to it? | 他没有睡着 |
[07:52] | I honestly don’t know, but that man’s | 坦白说我也不知道 但是这个人 |
[07:54] | looking at spending the rest of his life in prison. | 面临的是在监狱度过后半生 |
[07:58] | Four lives have already been lost. | 已经失去了四条生命 |
[08:00] | We just have to try and not make it five. | 我们必须努力挽救第五条 |
[08:15] | You know, even if Walter did fall asleep, | 其实 即使沃特确实睡着了 |
[08:17] | it doesn’t necessarily mean the crash was his fault. | 也不能认定撞车事故是他的错 |
[08:23] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[08:25] | Well… | 好吧… |
[08:26] | we may have to agree to disagree on that one. | 对此我们可能要保留不同意见了 |
[08:31] | Do you follow tennis, Benny? | 你关注网球吗 本尼 |
[08:34] | I’ve, uh, watched a couple of matches here and there. | 我也偶尔看过几场比赛 |
[08:36] | Well, you know, in tennis there are two types of errors: | 在网球比赛中 有两种失误 |
[08:38] | there’s forced errors and unforced errors. | 受迫性失误和非受迫性失误 |
[08:42] | Okay. | 好哦 |
[08:43] | So, say you serve the ball, you hit it out of bounds… | 也就是说 你主动发球 把球打出了界 |
[08:46] | that is an unforced error. | 这叫非受迫性失误 |
[08:47] | But if you’re hitting it back and forth | 但是你们来回打着的时候 |
[08:49] | and the other guy hits a great shot | 对手抓住一个好机会 |
[08:51] | and you chase the ball, you barely reach it, but… | 你追着球 勉强够着 可是… |
[08:53] | you hit it out of bounds… | 你还是把球打出界了… |
[08:55] | that’s a forced error. | 这叫受迫性失误 |
[08:57] | You hit it out of bounds’ cause of the position | 你把球打出界 是因为对手将你 |
[08:59] | the other guy put you in. | 逼到了那个境地 |
[09:02] | And what, if anything, | 这跟我们的 |
[09:04] | does that have to do with our client? | 委托人有任何关系吗 |
[09:06] | You remember what Walter’s wife said | 你还记得沃特的妻子说的 |
[09:08] | about the way the company scheduled Walter’s work? | 公司给沃特排班的方式吗 |
[09:10] | Very last-minute. | 随叫随到 |
[09:11] | How if he said no to a shift, they’d often retaliate | 如果他拒绝去轮班 他们就常常用 |
[09:14] | by not offering him another one for a long time. | 长期不给他排班的方式报复他 |
[09:18] | Well… | 这样的话… |
[09:19] | what if we argued that if Walter did fall asleep | 如果我们辩论说 是公司给沃特 |
[09:22] | it was because of the way the company scheduled his work, | 排班的方式 造成了他睡着的事实 |
[09:25] | and they forced the error | 公司让他工作到精疲力尽 |
[09:27] | by working him to the point of exhaustion | 根本不可能保持 |
[09:29] | and making it impossible for him to maintain | 规律而且健康的睡眠 |
[09:31] | a predictable or healthy sleep schedule. | 这才迫使他出现了失误 |
[09:34] | We are in the business of moving people and things | 我们的工作是安全迅速地 |
[09:37] | from one point to another, | 将人和物从一个地点转移到 |
[09:38] | safely, in a timely way. | 另一个地点 |
[09:41] | Unfortunately, no matter how many | 不幸的是 不管采取了 |
[09:44] | safety measures are put in place, | 多少安全措施 |
[09:47] | we can’t fully control | 我们都无法完全控制 |
[09:49] | the human element. | 人为因素 |
[09:51] | Trains are piloted by people, and… | 火车是由人来驾驶的 |
[09:54] | people are fallible. | 而人总会犯错 |
[09:57] | We did a thorough and comprehensive | 我们做了一个全面而彻底的 |
[10:00] | internal investigation. | 内部调查 |
[10:02] | The NTSB did its own independent investigation. | 国家运输安全委员会也做了独立调查 |
[10:04] | We all came to the same conclusion: | 我们都得出了相同的结论 |
[10:07] | the fault lies with the man piloting the train. | 失误归咎于驾驶火车的人 |
[10:11] | The fault… | 失误… |
[10:13] | lies with the engineer. | 归咎于驾驶员 |
[10:15] | Objection. Your Honor, isn’t that for the jury to decide? | 反对 法官大人 这个结论不是应该由陪审团认定吗 |
[10:19] | The witness has been qualified as an expert, counselor. | 证人是以专家的资格来作证的 辩方律师 |
[10:22] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[10:25] | Nothing further, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[10:27] | Your witness,.m.. Colon. | 证人归你了 科隆先生 |
[10:29] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢您 法官大人 |
[10:33] | {\4c&H000000&Mr. Peterman… | 皮特曼先生… |
[10:36] | …let’s talk about.Mr. Mora’s work schedule. | 我们谈谈莫拉先生的工作日程表吧 |
[10:39] | Are you familiar with it? | 你对此了解吗 |
[10:42] | Specifically? No. | 具体安排 不了解 |
[10:44] | But I can assure you our company | 但是我能向你保证 我们公司 |
[10:46] | follows all national railway regulatory standards | 遵循所有的国家铁路轮班制的 |
[10:49] | for hours worked. | 工时标准 |
[10:51] | Be that as it may, | 即便如此 |
[10:53] | we should take a look at.Mr. Mora’s work schedule | 我们还是应该看一下就在事故发生前 |
[10:56] | just prior to the accident. | 莫拉先生的工作日程表 |
[10:59] | Ah, I have it right here. | 就在这里 |
[11:00] | Okay. | 好了 |
[11:01] | So… | 那么… |
[11:03] | {\4c&H000000&.Mr. Mora worked.m.nday | 星期一 莫拉先生从早上八点 |
[11:06] | 8:00 a.m. To 8:00 p.m. | 工作到晚上八点 |
[11:08] | 12 hours… the maximum allowed by law. | 整整十二个小时… 法律规定的最长时限 |
[11:11] | Then, 12 hours later, | 然后 十二个小时后 |
[11:13] | he was back at work. | 他又回去上班 |
[11:15] | Tuesday, from 8:00 a.m. To 8:00 p.m. | 星期二 早上八点到晚上八点 |
[11:17] | Again, the maximum allowed by law. | 还是法律规定的最长时限 |
[11:20] | Luckily,.Mr. Mora had off on Wednesday. | 幸运的是 莫拉先生星期三休息了一天 |
[11:22] | Was told he wouldn’t be needed again until Thursday. | 当时他被告知 星期四之前 他都不需要上班 |
[11:25] | But at 10:00 p.m. Wednesday night, | 然而星期三晚上十点 |
[11:28] | your company contacted him | 你们公司联系他 |
[11:30] | to pull an emergency shift, | 让他紧急换班 |
[11:33] | midnight until noon. | 从午夜到次日中午 |
[11:35] | So… | 也就是说… |
[11:37] | the man works all day.m.nday, | 这位驾驶员星期一上了一整天的班 |
[11:39] | all day Tuesday, then, | 星期二上了一整天的班 然后 |
[11:41] | was ready for bed on Wednesday night, | 星期三晚上准备睡觉的时候 |
[11:43] | maybe even already asleep, | 甚至可能已经入睡 |
[11:45] | when you called him | 你们提前不到两个小时 |
[11:47] | with less than two hours notice, | 打电话通知他 |
[11:49] | told him to get out of bed | 让他起床 |
[11:51] | and come to work for 12 hours. | 在天气恶劣的黑夜里 |
[11:53] | In darkness and inclement weather. | 上一轮十二小时的班 |
[11:56] | Remind me of what you said earlier | 请再跟我说一下你之前 |
[11:57] | about your commitment to safety? | 所承诺的安全 |
[11:59] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官大人 |
[12:00] | Counsel is badgering the witness. | 辩方律师在纠缠证人 |
[12:02] | I’d like to answer the question, if that’s okay with the court. | 如果庭上同意的话 我愿意回答这个问题 |
[12:06] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[12:09] | You may answer the question. | 你可以回答问题 |
[12:11] | What you don’t seem to understand | 你好像不太明白 |
[12:14] | is that if.Mr. Mora felt that he wasn’t rested enough | 如果莫拉先生感觉没有休息好 |
[12:17] | to take the shift, he could have simply said no. | 他可以直接拒绝轮班 |
[12:20] | Mr. Mora was not forced to work. | 莫拉先生不是被迫上班的 |
[12:24] | But isn’t it true that | 可是事实难道不是 |
[12:26] | when an engineer is offered last-minute | 当驾驶员接到临时 |
[12:29] | or less-desirable shifts, | 或者不满意的排班时 |
[12:32] | if he or she makes a habit of turning them down, | 如果他习惯拒绝这种安排 |
[12:34] | your company reciprocates by offering him | 你们公司就会通过逐渐减少 |
[12:37] | less and less hours overall? | 其总工时进行报复吗 |
[12:43] | – Mr. Peterman? – The witness | – 皮特曼先生 – 证人 |
[12:44] | will answer the question. | 请证人回答问题 |
[12:50] | Our company… | 我们公司… |
[12:53] | never put any pressure on any employee | 从未向任何一位员工施压 |
[12:56] | to accept additional shifts. | 强迫他们接受额外的轮班 |
[12:58] | And in the case of Mr. Mora, | 至于莫拉先生 |
[13:00] | he himself asked for extra shifts. | 是他自己要求额外轮班的 |
[13:07] | In fact, | 实际上 |
[13:09] | Mr. Mora put in a request to work the maximum amount | 莫拉先生提交过一份申请 要求尽可能 |
[13:13] | of shifts available. | 给他多排班 |
[13:15] | He volunteered for the relief list, | 他自愿加入援助名单 |
[13:17] | and to be contacted whenever | 无论何时有紧急轮班 |
[13:19] | there was a last-minute shift opening. | 都可以联系他 |
[13:21] | By the way, I have those requests in writing. | 顺便说一下 我有他亲笔写的申请书 |
[13:25] | I’d be happy to share them if it would be any help whatsoever. | 如果对庭审有什么帮助的话 我很乐意展示出来 |
[13:32] | Is there anyone on our side in this? | 这下还有人站我们这边吗 |
[13:34] | Not in the jury box. | 陪审团里是没有了 |
[13:42] | – You talk to him? – Who’s that? | – 你跟他谈过了吗 – 谁 |
[13:45] | Walter. | 沃特 |
[13:47] | About what? | 谈什么 |
[13:49] | Abo… | 关于… |
[13:51] | Bull, the man sat in our conference room. | 布尔 那个人坐在我们的会议室里 |
[13:55] | He and his wife told us, plain as day, | 夫妻两人清清楚楚地告诉我们 |
[13:58] | that the company made him work. | 公司强迫他上班 |
[14:01] | That they demanded it. | 即便他女儿的葬礼刚结束 |
[14:02] | Even after his daughter’s funeral. | 公司就要求他上班 |
[14:04] | We built our entire case around that, | 我们整个案件都围绕着这一点去辩论 |
[14:07] | and the railroad just… | 铁路公司直接… |
[14:09] | blew it out the water. | 把我们打得落花流水 |
[14:12] | And our client let us walk right into it. | 而我们的委托人就看着我们掉进沟里 |
[14:17] | I know. | 我知道 |
[14:18] | And no, I haven’t talked to him yet. | 我还没跟他谈过 |
[14:20] | I will. | 但我会的 |
[14:21] | Though I don’t think it’s gonna do any good. | 虽然我觉得并无益处 |
[14:24] | What are you talking about? | 你这是什么意思 |
[14:26] | Walter doesn’t care. | 沃特不在乎 |
[14:30] | In fact… I’m willing to bet, deep down, | 我打赌 实际上…在他内心深处 |
[14:34] | he just wants it all to be over with. | 他只想结束这一切 |
[14:37] | The trial? | 结束庭审 |
[14:39] | His life. | 结束他的人生 |
[14:42] | Man’s still in mourning. | 他还在哀悼之中 |
[14:45] | For the people that died on his train. | 为火车上丧生的人们 |
[14:48] | For his little girl. | 为了他的女儿 |
[14:51] | The man is a walking wake. | 他现在就是个活死人 |
[14:53] | He has no will to survive, no will to live. | 他已经失去了生存和生活的意志 |
[14:55] | He believes he’s guilty of all of it. | 他认为这一切都是他造成的 |
[14:57] | And even if he isn’t, he believes he deserves to be. | 哪怕并非他的过错 他也认为他应该受到惩罚 |
[15:00] | So where does that leave us? | 那我们该怎么做呢 |
[15:02] | Same place we were before we had this conversation. | 和我们说这番话之前一样 |
[15:06] | We have to defend the man. | 我们得为他辩护 |
[15:09] | Whether he wants us to or not. | 无论他是否想要我们的辩护 |
[15:12] | You know, | 你知道吗 |
[15:13] | just because Walter asked for those shifts | 沃特主动要求这样排班 |
[15:15] | doesn’t mean the company should have let him take them. | 并不意味着公司就应该让他这么做 |
[15:18] | And what about the thousands of people | 对那些成千上万的 |
[15:20] | who ride the trains every day? | 每天坐火车出行的人呢 |
[15:22] | Doesn’t the railroad have an obligation to them? | 难道铁路公司对他们就没有义务吗 |
[15:24] | You’re not wrong, but think about it | 你说的没错 |
[15:25] | from the jury’s perspective. | 但从陪审团的角度想想 |
[15:26] | All they see is four dead people | 他们看到的是四名死者 |
[15:28] | and a tired engineer who asked to drive the train. | 以及主动要求开火车的疲惫司机 |
[15:34] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[15:35] | Don’t laugh. | 别笑 |
[15:37] | I’ve been poking around a bunch | 我浏览过一些 |
[15:39] | of conspiracy theory websites. | 有关阴谋论的网站 |
[15:42] | Different ones about catastrophic accidents. | 它们对灾难性事故有不同的看法 |
[15:44] | Boeing Max 737, the Challenger explosion. | 波音马克斯737 挑战者号爆炸 |
[15:47] | That kind of thing. | 诸如此类的事故 |
[15:48] | I’m telling Bull. | 我要告诉布尔 |
[15:49] | Taylor’s a nut job. | 泰勒疯了 |
[15:51] | Okay, make fun. | 好了 开个玩笑 |
[15:52] | But let mere mind you | 但允许我提醒你 |
[15:53] | that in the case of the Challenger | 挑战者号事件 |
[15:55] | and the case of the Boeing airline crashes, | 以及播音飞机坠毁事件 |
[15:57] | it was the conspiracy theorists who blew the whistle first. | 都是阴谋论者最先发出警告的 |
[16:00] | I can only imagine what kind of crackpots | 我只能想象你到底在和 |
[16:02] | you’ve been talking to. | 什么样的疯子说话 |
[16:03] | The thing is… I may have found something. | 事实上… 我可能有发现 |
[16:07] | There’s this one Internet forum where this anonymous poster | 自从沃特火车坠毁事件发生以来 |
[16:10] | has been ranting and raving ever since Walter’s train crash | 在一个网络论坛上有一个匿名用户 |
[16:13] | made the news. | 一直在疯狂发帖 |
[16:14] | He’s telling anyone who will listen | 他一直在告诉任何愿意聆听的人 |
[16:16] | that the railroad is covering up what really happened. | 铁路公司在掩盖真正的事实 |
[16:18] | He says… pardon the pun… that they’re railroading Walter. | 他说… 原谅用了双关语 … 他们在逼迫沃特 |
[16:21] | You think he’s legit? | 你认为他是合法的 |
[16:23] | I do, actually. | 我相信 |
[16:25] | You have a name? | 你知道他的名字吗 |
[16:26] | I have a name. | 我知道 |
[16:27] | I have a background file. | 我有他的背景文件 |
[16:28] | And I may even have a point of contact. | 我甚至还有联系方式 |
[16:32] | Well, this sounds like a job for Danny James. | 听起来该丹尼·詹姆斯干活了 |
[16:36] | Ms. James? | 詹姆斯女士 |
[16:39] | One of those for me? | 其中一杯是给我的吗 |
[16:41] | I’m Frank Uzarski. | 我是弗兰克·乌扎斯基 |
[16:43] | Mr. Uzarski, thank you for coming. | 乌扎斯基先生 谢谢你能来 |
[16:46] | So… | 所以… |
[16:49] | you working for Walter? | 你在为沃特工作吗 |
[16:51] | For his defense team, yeah. | 是的 我是他辩护团队的一员 |
[16:53] | Well, good luck. | 祝你好运 |
[16:56] | You’re up against a very formidable adversary. | 你们面对的是一个十分强大的对手 |
[17:01] | Oh, no thanks, never before, uh, 9:00 a.m. For me. | 不用了 谢谢 我不曾在九点前喝酒 |
[17:04] | You were saying? | 你是说 |
[17:06] | I was saying this whole situation with your client | 我是在说你当事人的整个情况 |
[17:10] | got a very deja vu quality to it for me. | 对我而言十分似曾相识 |
[17:14] | I was a engineer for almost | 我曾经也是这家铁路公司的驾驶员 |
[17:17] | 14 years at the same railroad. | 我在那工作了将近十四年 |
[17:19] | I had a very similar experience to his about six months back. | 我在六个月前曾有过一次和他十分相似的经历 |
[17:22] | Wait, you hit a train? | 等等 你撞车了吗 |
[17:24] | No. | 没有 |
[17:26] | But I came awfully close. | 但我差点就撞上了 |
[17:28] | Tell me. | 跟我说说吧 |
[17:29] | Just what I said. | 就像我刚刚说的 |
[17:32] | One day, I was driving a train on the northern line, | 有一天 我在北线开火车的时候 |
[17:34] | I almost collided with another one. | 我差点撞到另一辆火车 |
[17:37] | Luckily for me, there was no weather, | 幸运的是 那天天气不错 |
[17:39] | was still in the afternoon, so I could see what was coming | 还是在下午 所以我能看见前面的火车 |
[17:41] | and I got on the brake in time. | 并且及时刹车了 |
[17:43] | So, wait, you didn’t hit a train, | 所以 等等 你没有撞到火车 |
[17:45] | but they fired you anyway? | 但他们还是辞退了你 |
[17:47] | That’s my point. | 这就是我想说的 |
[17:49] | Whole reason I almost hit that train is because | 我差点撞上那辆火车的原因是 |
[17:52] | when I approached the switch I was given a green signal. | 在我控制开关时我看见了绿色的信号灯 |
[17:55] | Green means go. | 绿色意味着通行 |
[17:57] | So I went. | 所以我发动了 |
[17:58] | And did you tell the company that? | 那你跟公司说了吗 |
[18:00] | I sure did. | 当然说了 |
[18:01] | How did they respond? | 他们怎么回应呢 |
[18:04] | They drug tested me. | 他们给我做了药检 |
[18:07] | What did they find? | 他们发现了什么 |
[18:09] | Exactly what they wanted to find. | 就是他们想要发现的 |
[18:11] | Exactly what they were hoping to find. | 就是他们希望发现的 |
[18:13] | Which is fascinating to me, because, | 我觉得非常奇怪 因为 |
[18:15] | to the best of my knowledge, I didn’t have anything in my system | 据我所知 我从未服用过任何东西 |
[18:18] | that could have tested positive. | 来让药检呈阳性 |
[18:20] | Look… | 听着… |
[18:22] | I’m no saint. | 我并非圣人 |
[18:24] | But I don’t drink or drug when I work, | 但我在工作时从不喝酒或吸毒 |
[18:26] | and I certainly don’t drink or drug | 更不会在试图说服别人 |
[18:27] | when I’m trying to convince somebody I saw a green light | 我看见的是绿灯而他们坚持否认时 |
[18:30] | when they’re insisting I saw a red one. | 喝酒或吸毒 |
[18:33] | Now, can you please tell the court | 现在 能请你告诉法庭 |
[18:35] | how it is you know Walter Mora? | 你是怎么认识沃特·莫拉的吗 |
[18:38] | We attend the same church. | 我们在同一个教会 |
[18:39] | Saint Catherine’s of Brooklyn. | 布鲁克林的圣凯瑟琳 |
[18:42] | And then… we’ve been getting to know each other | 然后… 在过去的几个月里 |
[18:45] | even better these past few months. | 我们对彼此的了解逐渐加深 |
[18:47] | And why is that? | 为什么 |
[18:49] | We’ve both been attending a grief group at church. | 我们都参加了教会的同一个悲伤小组 |
[18:53] | My husband passed away about a year ago. | 我丈夫大概一年前去世了 |
[18:56] | And Walter lost his daughter to cancer. | 而沃特的女儿因癌症去世了 |
[18:59] | My condolences. | 我衷心向你们两位 |
[19:01] | To both of you. | 表示哀悼 |
[19:02] | Now, Miss Combs, | 现在 康布思女士 |
[19:04] | you contacted the district attorney’s | 你昨天下午联系了 |
[19:06] | office yesterday afternoon, did you not? | 地方检察官办公室 不是吗 |
[19:08] | I did. | 是的 |
[19:10] | I’ve been following the trial on the Internet | 我在网上和报纸上 |
[19:13] | and in the paper. | 关注着这个审判 |
[19:15] | And there are just some things that Walter said | 而当我们在一个悲伤小组时 |
[19:18] | when we were in grief group together, things that… | 沃特说了一些话 一些… |
[19:22] | well, they made me uncomfortable. | 让我感到不适的话 |
[19:25] | And can you share with us what those things were? | 你能告诉我们是什么事情吗 |
[19:27] | Objection. I have to believe that these conversations | 反对 我不得不认为这些对话 |
[19:30] | are protected under the therapist-patient privilege, | 受到医生-病人的特权保护 |
[19:34] | and are afforded the same protections as those | 并享有和律师与委托人之间 |
[19:37] | between an attorney and his client. | 一样的保护 |
[19:39] | Actually, Your Honor, | 事实上 法官阁下 |
[19:41] | to qualify for that privilege, the group must be moderated | 要获取该特权的话 该小组必须要由 |
[19:44] | by a licensed therapist, psychologist or social worker. | 有执照的治疗师 心理学家或者社会工作者主持 |
[19:48] | None of which were present | 但是出席教会主办的聚会里 |
[19:49] | at this church-sponsored gathering. | 没有这些人 |
[19:52] | Do you have proof to the contrary, Mr. Colon? | 你能提供反驳的证据吗 科隆先生 |
[19:55] | I do not, Your Honor. | 我没有 法官阁下 |
[19:57] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[19:59] | The witness may answer the question. | 请证人回答问题 |
[20:04] | I like Walter. | 我喜欢沃特 |
[20:06] | I really do. | 我真的喜欢他 |
[20:08] | And he and Gloria have been through so much. | 他和格洛丽亚经历了太多事 |
[20:13] | But there was a grief group meeting | 但火车失事三天前 |
[20:15] | three days before the train wreck. | 有一个悲伤小组会议 |
[20:18] | And after the meeting, | 在会议后 |
[20:20] | we were leaving together, and Walter was saying that | 我们一起离开 沃特说 |
[20:22] | he was having a tough week. | 他度过了艰难的一周 |
[20:26] | Tougher than most. | 比平常更艰难的 |
[20:29] | He said… | 他说… |
[20:33] | his pain was so great… | 他太痛苦了… |
[20:36] | he was thinking about ending it all. | 他想要结束这一切 |
[20:40] | That some days, | 在那几天 |
[20:42] | living felt like it was too much to bear. | 生活让人难以忍受 |
[20:46] | It sounds like you’re saying | 听上去像是你在说 |
[20:48] | Walter.m.ra saw the red light signal and knew a train | 沃特·莫拉看见了红灯并且知道 |
[20:52] | was parked on the tracks in front of him. | 有火车停在他前面的铁轨上 |
[20:55] | That perhaps instead of seeing it | 但有可能他并不 |
[20:57] | as an obstruction on the tracks, | 把那当做铁轨上的障碍 |
[20:58] | he saw it as an opportunity. | 相反 他认为那是一个机会 |
[21:00] | An opportunity to, to use his own words, | 用他的话来说 那是一个 |
[21:03] | “End it all.” | “了结一切”的机会 |
[21:06] | Is that what you’re trying to tell us? | 这就是你想要告诉我们的吗 |
[21:07] | Your Honor, objection. Speculation. | 法官大人 反对 诱导证人进行推测 |
[21:10] | Counsel is testifying. | 律师作证 |
[21:11] | I withdraw the question, Your Honor. | 我撤回这个提问 法官大人 |
[21:13] | And, in fact, I have no further questions. | 事实上 我没有其他问题了 |
[21:20] | How bad is it,.m.rissa? | 现在情况有多糟 玛丽莎 |
[21:22] | The jury finds this witness extremely credible. | 这位证人说服了陪审团 |
[21:25] | They no longer appear to be questioning | 现在他们似乎已经不关心 |
[21:27] | whether or not it was Walter’s fault. | 是不是沃特的错了 |
[21:29] | They’re only questioning whether or not | 而是沃特是否有意 |
[21:31] | he crashed the train on purpose. | 造成这起事故 |
[21:33] | Either way, my monitors look like Carrie on prom night. | 不管是哪一种情况 显示器这边都很精彩 |
[21:42] | How did it go today? | 今天过得好吗 |
[21:44] | It went. | 就那样 |
[21:45] | Well, ask me about my meeting with Frank Uzarski. | 不问问和弗兰克·乌扎斯基见面有什么收获吗 |
[21:48] | What, the, uh, | 是泰勒在网上 |
[21:49] | disgruntled engineer that Taylor found online? | 发现的那个愤怒的火车司机吗 |
[21:51] | Yes, indeed. | 没错 |
[21:53] | Turns out he, too, had a run-in with a train | 原来他曾经也迎面碰上另一辆火车 |
[21:55] | he had no idea would be there. | 也不知道为什么它会出现 |
[21:57] | Only, in his case, he was able to avoid a collision. | 不同的是 他避免了事故的发生 |
[22:01] | Did he report it to the railroad? | 他向铁路公司汇报过这件事吗 |
[22:02] | Uh, he sure did. | 上报过 |
[22:04] | And then they drug tested him | 后来公司的人对他做了药检 |
[22:05] | and then fired him for his efforts. | 尽管没发生事故 他最后还是被开除了 |
[22:07] | Um, I’m…I’m confused. | 我… 我不太明白 |
[22:09] | Sounds like they fired a cannon to kill a flea. | 就好像用炮打跳蚤一样 有点大惊小怪吧 |
[22:14] | Uh, there was no crash. There was no accident. | 又没撞车 也没发生事故 |
[22:16] | Why fire him? | 为什么开除他 |
[22:17] | Well, he claims that the signal | 因为他坚称本来应该 |
[22:19] | that’s supposed to alert an engineer to stop | 提醒他前方有车的信号灯 |
[22:21] | when there’s a train in his path | 不但没让他停车 反而让他 |
[22:23] | told him to go. | 继续前进 |
[22:26] | I’m not sure how that applies to our case. | 这和我们的案子有什么关系 |
[22:29] | Well, in our case, Walter was dealing with bad weather. | 我们这起案子事故当天天气很不好 |
[22:32] | Extremely low visibility. | 能见度很低 |
[22:33] | So if there was a signal malfunction, | 所以如果信号灯失灵 |
[22:36] | if he saw green, | 沃特看到的是绿灯 |
[22:39] | that would explain why he didn’t brake. | 那就解释了他为什么没停车了 |
[22:42] | And with all the rain and fog, | 再加上当天的大雨和浓雾 |
[22:43] | by the time he saw the parked freight train, | 等他看到停着的货运列车时 |
[22:47] | it would have been too late. | 就已经来不及了 |
[22:48] | Well, that’s an interesting theory, | 这个解释挺有意思 |
[22:51] | but need to remind you that the NTSB investigation | 但我提醒你 运输安全委员会在调查时 |
[22:54] | found no such signal malfunction. | 并没有发现信号灯故障 |
[22:56] | Okay. I’ll play devil’s advocate. | 好吧 我还想唱唱反调 |
[22:58] | What if this signal malfunction only happened once? | 万一这个故障只发生了这一次呢 |
[23:01] | The same signal performed perfectly | 万一这个信号灯 |
[23:03] | immediately after Frank’s encounter with it | 在弗朗克那件事后一直完美运行 |
[23:04] | and right up until Walter’s. | 直到沃特经过 |
[23:07] | An intermittent error. | 间歇性失灵 |
[23:11] | How about an incident report? | 事故报告呢 |
[23:12] | Did he at least file an incident report after his near miss? | 他可是差点就撞车了 至少该写份报告吧 |
[23:15] | I didn’t ask that specific question, | 我没问这么细 |
[23:17] | but I know he went to the railroad | 但我知道他向铁路公司 |
[23:19] | and reported the signal problem. | 汇报过信号灯的问题 |
[23:21] | Then they should have a record of it. | 公司应该有相关记录 |
[23:22] | Which would prove they were on notice | 这样可以证明铁路公司 |
[23:24] | about a potential signal malfunction. | 知道信号灯有可能发生故障了 |
[23:31] | Maybe you can just do it for me. | 你就当是帮我个忙吧 |
[23:34] | What’s that? | 什么 |
[23:35] | Agree to let Astrid be baptized. | 让阿思翠受洗 |
[23:40] | You don’t want to put yourself in the middle of this. | 你应该不想被牵扯进来吧 |
[23:42] | I already am. She’s my niece. | 已经晚了 她可是我的侄女 |
[23:44] | Benny, I have nothing against baptism. | 本尼 我不反对受洗 |
[23:47] | In fact, knowing that it would make Izzy happy, | 我知道这样能让伊兹开心 |
[23:50] | make you happy… | 让你开心 |
[23:53] | It’s just… | 只是… |
[23:56] | Even though we’re not married, | 就算我们现在没结婚 |
[23:58] | it’s a marriage, | 除非你姐姐想喊停 |
[23:59] | except when your sister decides it isn’t. | 这也算是一段婚姻 |
[24:03] | I have no idea what you’re talking about. | 我不懂你在说些什么 |
[24:06] | It’s okay, ’cause it’s not for you to understand. | 没关系 这件事不是为了让你懂的 |
[24:10] | It’s really between Izzy and me. | 这是我和伊兹之间的事 |
[24:14] | All right. | 好吧 |
[24:16] | I’ll keep my nose out of it. | 我就不多管闲事了 |
[24:17] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:20] | Would you think any less of me | 如果我说我并不期待 |
[24:22] | if I confessed to you I wasn’t looking forward to this? | 接下来的工作 你会看不起我吗 |
[24:24] | You mean you’re not excited to present our case? | 你是说你不期待接下来的辩护 |
[24:27] | Not excited to put Walter on the stand? | 不期待沃特出庭作证吗 |
[24:29] | Yeah. I have my concerns as well. | 确实 我也有点担心 |
[24:33] | Maybe I’ll have a little pep talk with our client. | 或许我得给委托人做个’战前演讲’ |
[24:38] | Come in. | 请进 |
[24:44] | So, you understand | 所以 你清楚 |
[24:45] | you’re about to be called to testify. | 自己马上就要出庭作证了吧 |
[24:47] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 |
[24:51] | This will be your chance to tell your story. | 这是你为自己辩护的好机会 |
[24:53] | Your chance to convince that jury | 一个说服陪审团相信 |
[24:55] | that you are not responsible for what happened that night. | 那天晚上发生的事故与你无关的机会 |
[25:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[25:03] | But I can’t swear | 但我也不确定 |
[25:05] | that I’m not responsible. | 自己到底是不是无辜的 |
[25:08] | I just can’t. | 我不能 |
[25:11] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[25:15] | Well, then I’ve come to a decision. | 那么 我决定了 |
[25:18] | What’s that? | 什么 |
[25:20] | Mr. Colón and I | 我和科隆先生 |
[25:23] | will go right to the judge | 会直接告诉法官 |
[25:24] | and withdraw from this case. | 这起案子我们不管了 |
[25:29] | You, sir, do not want to win. | 先生 你并不想胜诉 |
[25:32] | You want to use the justice system | 你想利用司法体制 |
[25:34] | to help you… punish yourself. | 帮助你…惩罚自己 |
[25:37] | For what, I’m not sure. | 原因我不太确定 |
[25:39] | Maybe it’s your child’s cancer. | 或许是因为你女儿的癌症 |
[25:40] | Maybe it’s those people | 或许是死在 |
[25:43] | who died on that train. | 那辆火车上的人 |
[25:45] | Which is fine. | 没关系 |
[25:47] | It’s your life. | 这是你的人生 |
[25:51] | But I am not gonna let the fact | 但我不会让你这种 |
[25:52] | that you have so little regard for your wife, | 一点也不在乎妻子 |
[25:55] | so little regard for life itself, | 不重视生命的人 |
[25:57] | blemish my record in the legal community. | 成为我职业生涯中的污点 |
[26:01] | Wait. | 等等 |
[26:03] | Wait, wait, wait. | 等等 等等 等等 |
[26:06] | What…what would you like me to do? | 我…我还能怎么办 |
[26:09] | You want me to lie? | 你想让我撒谎吗 |
[26:10] | I want you to care. | 我希望你能在乎一点 |
[26:12] | I want you to give a damn. | 我希望你能上点心 |
[26:13] | I’d even consider staying on board | 我甚至在考虑 只要你说了实话 |
[26:15] | if you’d just be honest. | 就继续为你辩论 |
[26:17] | What do you mean, be honest? | 什么叫说实话 |
[26:25] | You don’t know what happened that night. | 你又不知道那天晚上发生了什么 |
[26:27] | So, for God’s sake, stop guessing. | 所以看在上帝的份上 别胡思乱想了 |
[26:30] | Testify to who you are | 别去管那晚可能发生了什么了 |
[26:32] | and what you do know, | 你只需要说出你是谁 |
[26:35] | not what might have been. | 你知道什么就够了 |
[26:36] | And stop doing the other side’s job for them. | 另外也别再帮对手说话了 |
[26:42] | So what’s it gonna be? | 你觉得怎么样 |
[26:45] | Now, the prosecution would have this jury believe | 现在 控方尝试说服陪审团相信 |
[26:48] | that you were suicidal on the night of the accident, | 事故发生的那晚 |
[26:51] | that you allowed | 你故意 |
[26:52] | your train to collide with the freight train on purpose. | 让火车和货运车相撞 以此来自我了结 |
[26:56] | Is that true, Mr. Mora? | 是这样的吗 莫拉先生 |
[27:00] | Of course it’s not true. | 当然不是了 |
[27:03] | And why should this jury believe that? | 陪审团凭什么相信你呢 |
[27:07] | Well, because, if you know me, | 因为 如果你们了解我 |
[27:08] | you know that I believe in God. | 你们会知道我信仰上帝 |
[27:12] | You know that I believe in the church’s teachings. | 也知道我信奉教会的教义 |
[27:16] | I go to church every week. | 我每周都去教堂 |
[27:19] | My wife and I | 我和我妻子 |
[27:21] | took our little girl every week. | 还有我女儿每周都会去的 |
[27:24] | So I know that she’s in heaven. | 所以我知道我的女儿会去往天堂 |
[27:27] | I know that the good Lord | 我知道仁慈的上帝 |
[27:30] | has welcomed her soul. | 会迎接她的灵魂 |
[27:33] | And I know if I were to commit suicide, | 我也知道如果我自杀了 |
[27:36] | I’d never see heaven. | 就去不了天堂了 |
[27:39] | Which means | 也就是说 |
[27:41] | that I wouldn’t ever | 我再也见不到 |
[27:43] | see my little girl again. | 我可爱的女儿了 |
[27:48] | Thank you, Mr. Mora. | 谢谢你 莫拉先生 |
[27:51] | No further questions, Your Honor. | 没有其他问题了 法官大人 |
[27:58] | He’s a pretty good witness. | 他是个优秀的证人 |
[27:59] | What’d you say to him? | 你对他说了什么 |
[28:01] | Nothing much. | 没什么 |
[28:02] | I just lied. | 就是撒了个谎 |
[28:04] | Smart. | 干得漂亮 |
[28:07] | I guess. | 我想也是 |
[28:09] | Thank you for your testimony,.Mr. Mora. | 谢谢你的证词 莫拉先生 |
[28:12] | It was… very moving. | 非常的…感人 |
[28:14] | But the fact remains | 但无法否认的是 |
[28:17] | that four people are dead. | 有四个人死去了 |
[28:19] | And despite what you’ve said, | 尽管你刚才说了那番话 |
[28:21] | an investigation concluded | 但调查仍然表明 |
[28:23] | that it was human error that killed them. | 是人为错误造成了他们的死亡 |
[28:27] | Your error. | 你的错 |
[28:29] | Even if you didn’t | 就算你并不是 |
[28:30] | cause the collision intentionally, | 故意引发事故的 |
[28:32] | can you say with 100% certainty | 那你能百分百肯定 |
[28:34] | that you didn’t fall asleep at that wheel? | 你在驾驶时没有犯困吗 |
[28:43] | In over 14 years and 25,000 hours, | 在我驾驶火车的十四年又两万五千小时中 |
[28:47] | I’ve never nodded off. | 我从来没有打过瞌睡 |
[28:50] | Not once. | 一次也没 |
[28:52] | Not for a single second. | 一秒都没有 |
[28:57] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[28:59] | And how do we prove that? | 你怎么证明呢 |
[29:02] | Or do we just accept it, | 难道就因为 |
[29:04] | because you’ve never crashed a train before? | 你之前没有出过事故 |
[29:06] | Just like we’re supposed to accept the fact | 就因为你什么也不记得了 |
[29:08] | that you can’t remember anything. | 我们就要接受你的说法吗 |
[29:10] | Objection. Your Honor, | 我反对 法官大人 |
[29:12] | counsel is testifying and badgering the witness. | 对方律师在自己作证并在纠缠证人 |
[29:15] | Sustained. | 抗议有效 |
[29:16] | Ask a question, please. | 请提一个问题 |
[29:19] | That’s all right, Your Honor. | 好的 法官大人 |
[29:22] | I have no further questions. | 我没有别的问题了 |
[29:24] | Talk to me. | 结果如何 |
[29:25] | They were moved, | 他们有点被说动了 |
[29:27] | but not enough to change their minds. | 但还不足以改变他们的想法 |
[29:29] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[29:31] | We got to their hearts but not their heads. | 我们还没有打入他们内部 |
[29:34] | I can see it from here. | 我在这也能看得出 |
[29:36] | They want someone to hold accountable, | 他们想要一个人来负责 |
[29:38] | and he was the man at the controls. | 而他就坐在控制室 |
[29:42] | Do me a favor. | 帮我个忙 |
[29:44] | Call Izzy. | 打给伊兹 |
[29:45] | Tell her I’m gonna be home late. | 告诉她我要晚点回家 |
[29:46] | I need to get measured for a new suit. | 我需要准备一个新官司 |
[29:49] | Sure. | 好的 |
[29:50] | What’s the occasion? | 有什么事 |
[29:52] | Baptism. | 洗礼 |
[29:54] | The baby, not me. | 给我孩子的 不是我 |
[29:59] | “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | “陪审团的各位女士先生们 |
[30:01] | “I’m sure you’ve all heard that old saying, | 我相信你们一定都听过这句话 |
[30:04] | “‘If a tree falls in the forest | 森林里倒了一棵树 |
[30:06] | “‘but there’s no one there to hear it, | 但是没人知道 |
[30:08] | “Does it make a sound?’ | 那它还会发出声音吗” |
[30:10] | “Likewise, if a man is driving a train | 同样 如果一个人在开火车 |
[30:13] | “And it has a fatal accident | 火车发生了重大事故 |
[30:15] | “But the man can’t remember what happened, | 这名司机不记得发生了什么事 |
[30:17] | “Does it automatically make him the cause of that accident? | 难道这名司机就自动成为凶手了吗 |
[30:21] | Because, at… | 因为… |
[30:23] | Hey. How’s the closing argument coming? | 结辩词写的如何了 |
[30:26] | Well, I’m not convinced, | 我是写辩词的人 |
[30:27] | and I’m the guy writing it. | 但连我自己都不信 |
[30:29] | Yeah. | 好吧 |
[30:34] | I hear we’re having a baptism. | 我听说我们要办洗礼了 |
[30:37] | Oh, yeah. | 是的 |
[30:39] | It suddenly occurred to me last night none of my teams | 昨晚我突然想起来我们团队 |
[30:41] | – are playing three Sundays from now. – Hmm.. | – 三周后都有安排 – 嗯… |
[30:44] | I’ll take it. | 我同意 |
[30:47] | God moves people in strange ways. | 我们总是会被奇怪的事情打动 |
[30:49] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:51] | Oh, don’t thank me. | 别谢我 |
[30:52] | Thank the NBA. | 感谢NBA吧 |
[30:59] | I couldn’t help myself. I spent the night working from home. | 没办法 我昨晚在家熬了一整夜 |
[31:01] | You want the good news, the bad news or the good news? | 你想听好消息 坏消息还是好消息 |
[31:04] | Is this a trick question? | 这是个陷阱吗 |
[31:06] | Okay, I’ll start with the good news. | 那我先说好消息 |
[31:07] | Don’t ask me how, | 别问我是怎么做到的 |
[31:09] | but I was able to locate the incident report | 我找到了丹尼告诉我的 |
[31:11] | Danny said you wanted me to find. | 你想要我找的那份事故报告 |
[31:13] | The one that was filed when Frank Uzarski complained | 就是弗兰克·乌扎斯基向公司提交的那份 |
[31:15] | to the company that he was given a green signal instead of a red | 投诉他看到的是绿灯而不是红灯 |
[31:18] | and almost ran into a train. | 并差点让他撞到另一辆火车的事故报告 |
[31:20] | That is good news. | 这是好消息 |
[31:22] | So what’s the bad news? | 那坏消息呢 |
[31:23] | Well, nowhere in it does it say anything | 报告里完全没提到 |
[31:26] | about a signal malfunction. | 任何信号灯故障 |
[31:28] | The thing is, whether Frank was drunk, stoned | 重点是 无论弗朗克是否有喝醉 |
[31:31] | or just lying, | 吸毒或者撒谎 |
[31:32] | his statements should have been included in that report. | 他的证词都应被记录在报告里 |
[31:34] | And they aren’t. | 但里面也没有 |
[31:36] | You have a theory about why? | 你知道为什么吗 |
[31:38] | Maybe the company deleted any mention of signal failures | 也许是在沃特发生事故后 |
[31:41] | from their records in the wake of Walter’s crash. | 公司就删除了任何有关交通灯故障的说辞 |
[31:44] | They heard about his brain injury, | 他们知道沃特伤到了大脑 |
[31:46] | heard he couldn’t remember anything. | 并且失忆了 |
[31:48] | It’s kind of perfect. If you can make it look | 这对他们来说很有利 |
[31:50] | like there’s never been a signal problem, | 这样可以完美掩盖交通灯故障的问题 |
[31:51] | you can blame the whole thing on Walter. | 还可以把责任完全推给沃特 |
[31:53] | Interesting theory. | 这想法挺有意思 |
[31:56] | How are you gonna prove it? | 但你要怎么证明呢 |
[31:57] | Ask me about the good news. | 你问问好消息是什么 |
[31:59] | Oh. You have any good news? | 你有好消息吗 |
[32:05] | I see no additional names on the witness list today. | 今天证人名单上没有新加证人 |
[32:08] | Does that mean the defense is prepared to rest | 这是不是意味着被告一方 |
[32:11] | and we can commence with closing arguments? | 准备结束辩护并准备开始结束陈词了 |
[32:13] | Actually, Your Honor, | 法官大人 事实上 |
[32:15] | the defense is not quite ready to rest yet. | 被告一方并不是打算结束辩护 |
[32:18] | In fact, we’d like to recall a witness. | 我们想要重新请回一位证人 |
[32:22] | If it pleases the court, | 如果法庭允许 |
[32:23] | the defense would like to call | 被告一方希望请 |
[32:25] | Ray Peterman back to the stand. | 雷·皮特曼重回证人席 |
[32:28] | Mr. Peterman, I’ve just got | 皮特曼先生 |
[32:31] | a couple of brief follow-up questions. | 我还有简单的几个问题要问 |
[32:33] | Now, uh, | 您之前 |
[32:35] | you told the court previously | 在法庭上说 |
[32:37] | that there was no evidence of a mechanical failure | 没有证据能证明 |
[32:41] | on any of the railroad safety systems. | 任何一条铁路系统中有器械故障 |
[32:44] | Do you still believe that to be true? | 您说的这句话现在还有效吗 |
[32:46] | I do. | 有效 |
[32:47] | Okay. All right. | 好的 |
[32:48] | Oh, and… let me remind the court | 我向法庭再强调一下 |
[32:50] | that you are certified as an expert witness. | 您是以专家证人的身份出庭作证的 |
[32:54] | Now, with that in mind, | 有了这点 |
[32:56] | let me ask a hypothetical. | 我想提出一个假设 |
[32:59] | Let’s say my client, Walter Mora, | 假如我的客户沃特·莫拉 |
[33:02] | is piloting a train late at night, | 正在夜间驾驶一列火车 |
[33:06] | and there is another train | 并且有列火车 |
[33:08] | stopped on the track in front of him. | 停在他前方的轨道上 |
[33:10] | The weather is bad, it’s really dark outside, | 天气十分糟糕 外面很黑 |
[33:13] | so he really can’t see that train. | 所以他基本看不清那辆火车 |
[33:15] | But the rail signal… The railroad stop light… | 但是铁路上的信号灯 |
[33:19] | The one he depends on, is green. | 他作为判断依据的灯 给出了绿灯 |
[33:22] | And it was supposed to be red to tell him to stop, | 信号灯本该给出红灯让车停下的 |
[33:25] | because there was another train in front of him, | 因为他的前方还有一列火车 |
[33:26] | but it doesn’t. | 但是灯是绿色的 |
[33:27] | It’s just a steady green. | 是持续的绿灯 |
[33:29] | Now, could something like that happen? | 这种事情有可能发生吗 |
[33:31] | This is my favorite part. | 我最喜欢的部分来了 |
[33:33] | Coyote first sees the Road Runner | 歪心狼看见了哔哔鸟 |
[33:34] | and thinks, “Dinner.” | 以为晚餐有了 |
[33:36] | Honestly, | 说实话 |
[33:38] | rail signal malfunctions are extremely rare. | 铁路交通信号灯故障是非常少见的 |
[33:41] | Got it, got it. Extremely rare. | 我明白了 非常少见 |
[33:44] | Now… as I understand it, | 那按我理解 |
[33:46] | the way it works is the rail signal apparatus | 铁路信号灯装置能感应到 |
[33:51] | senses when there’s a train up ahead of it, | 有一辆火车在前方 |
[33:54] | so it knows to display the red light | 所以它能给出红灯 |
[33:57] | and stop the train behind it from proceeding. | 阻止后方火车继续前进 |
[34:02] | Do I have it right? | 我说的对吗 |
[34:04] | Yes. The weight of the train serves to stop the circuit, | 对 火车的重量能使线路停止 |
[34:06] | which triggers the red light. | 触发红灯 |
[34:08] | – And the chase begins. – Okay. | – 角逐开始了 – 好吧 |
[34:10] | So if there was a signal malfunction, | 如果信号灯发生故障 |
[34:12] | which you already testified is extremely rare, | 这你已经说了是很少见的 |
[34:16] | the light would just stay green | 灯会停在绿色 |
[34:17] | – instead of turning red, right? – Again, | – 而不是变红 对吗 – 我再说一次 |
[34:20] | kind of like a snowstorm in the.m.jave Desert, but… | 这几乎就像沙漠里发生暴风雪的概率 |
[34:24] | yes, that is what would happen. | 但你说的没错 |
[34:26] | So Mr. Mora | 那么 |
[34:28] | would be driving the train, | 莫拉先生开着火车 |
[34:30] | he would see that green light | 他看见的是绿灯 |
[34:32] | and believe he was supposed to keep right on going, | 所以他觉得自己该继续前进 |
[34:35] | but the signal malfunction would actually be leading him | 但其实信号灯故障会诱导他 |
[34:38] | to a head-on collision with another train, wouldn’t it? | 与前方火车发生碰撞 对吗 |
[34:41] | Objection. Relevance? | 我抗议 这有关系吗 |
[34:43] | Why are we spending | 为什么要 |
[34:44] | this kind of time with a witness | 花这么多时间 |
[34:46] | we’ve already heard from | 让一个已经出过庭的证人 |
[34:47] | to offer an opinion on a hypothetical | 谈论对一个假设的看法 |
[34:50] | when we’ve tasked this jury with making a decision | 而且我们之前已经让他 |
[34:53] | about a very real, | 在一个真实而致命的事故中 |
[34:55] | very deadly accident? | 做出了选择 |
[34:56] | And now is when the Road Runner gets the Coyote | 这时哔哔鸟让歪心狼 |
[34:59] | to chase him really fast. | 拼命追逐它 |
[35:00] | So fast the Coyote doesn’t even realize | 速度太快 大笨狼甚至都没发觉 |
[35:02] | the Road Runner’s tricked him into running | 哔哔鸟都骗他跑得 |
[35:04] | right off the edge of a cliff. | 飞出了悬崖边缘 |
[35:07] | I apologize, Your Honor. | 抱歉 法官大人 |
[35:10] | He’s right. | 他是对的 |
[35:12] | Forget what I said about this being a hypothetical. | 现在忘记我所说的假设 |
[35:16] | Let’s talk about the real signal, | 我们来谈谈真实的信号 |
[35:19] | the one that was supposed to separate | 那个本应该隔离开 |
[35:21] | the train my client was piloting | 我的当事人当时驾驶的列车 |
[35:24] | with the one he hit. | 和被撞的那辆的信号灯 |
[35:27] | Let’s talk about that signal. | 我们来谈谈那个信号灯吧 |
[35:29] | And, of course, now the Coyote looks down, | 当然 现在大笨狼往下一看 |
[35:31] | realizes there’s nothing but air beneath him, | 发现除了空气他身下啥也没有 |
[35:33] | and goes falling hundreds of feet into the canyon below. | 就这么掉入了数百英尺深的峡谷 |
[35:36] | That particular signal was tested by the NTSB | 那个信号灯已经被国家运输安全委员会 |
[35:40] | and our own investigators. | 以及我们自己的调查员测试过了 |
[35:42] | To be clear, the signal that Mr. Mora ignored | 说得更清楚一点 那个被莫拉先生忽视的信号灯 |
[35:46] | – was working properly. – Yeah, but… | – 工作正常 – 好 但是 |
[35:48] | these signals are machines, right? | 这些信号灯只是机械 对吗 |
[35:51] | Uh, they’re capable of failure, aren’t they? | 他们是有可能产生故障的 不是吗 |
[35:54] | I mean, isn’t it possible | 我的意思是 |
[35:56] | that the signal could have failed… | 信号灯难道不可能间歇性地 |
[35:58] | intermittently? | 发生故障吗 |
[36:00] | Isn’t it possible | 信号灯可能其他每一次 |
[36:02] | that the signal could have malfunctioned this one time | 都工作正常 但就这一次出故障了 |
[36:05] | despite working properly every other time? | 这难道不可能发生吗 |
[36:09] | I’m not sure I understand the question. | 我不太确定听懂了你的问题 |
[36:12] | If you’re asking | 如果你是问 |
[36:13] | if anything is possible, | 是不是任何事都有可能发生 |
[36:15] | well, then yes, of course, anything is possible. | 那好吧 当然是一切皆有可能 |
[36:18] | But if you’re asking if that’s what happened here, | 但如果你是问在这里是否发生了这种可能性 |
[36:22] | let me repeat myself. | 那么让我再重复一遍 |
[36:24] | According to the NTSB | 根据国家运输安全委员会 |
[36:27] | and our own investigators, | 和我们自己的调查员的调查 |
[36:28] | that is not what happened here. | 这种可能性并未在此发生 |
[36:31] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[36:34] | Well, then can you explain this to me? | 那你可以为我解释一下这个吗 |
[36:37] | Now, this here… | 这是… |
[36:39] | is a maintenance report | 一个在事故发生后 |
[36:41] | for work ordered after the accident | 下达的维护报告 |
[36:43] | that we would like to enter into evidence | 我们想要把这个报告作为 |
[36:45] | as defense exhibit A. | 辩方证物A列入证据 |
[36:48] | Now, do you recognize | 现在皮特曼先生 |
[36:50] | this maintenance report, Mr. Peterman? | 你认得这份维护报告吗 |
[36:54] | Sure. It’s a routine report. | 当然 这是个常规报告 |
[36:56] | We put them out whenever repairs or maintenance need to be done. | 当有维修或者维护需要的时候就把它填好备用 |
[36:59] | Okay. And-and can you explain to the court | 好 那你可以向法庭说明一下 |
[37:02] | what maintenance was ordered? | 什么样的维护需求被提交了呢 |
[37:05] | It says… | 报告上说 |
[37:08] | that the signal at marker 264 | 在标号264处的信号灯 |
[37:10] | needed to be replaced. | 需要被替换 |
[37:12] | And isn’t the signal | 难道这个在 |
[37:13] | at marker 264 | 标号264处的信号灯 |
[37:16] | The same signal that was supposed to separate | 不恰恰正是那个本应隔离开 |
[37:18] | the train Walter was driving | 沃特驾驶的那列地铁 |
[37:20] | from the train he collided with? | 和被撞l列车的那个信号灯吗 |
[37:25] | Yes, I believe it was. | 是 我想是的 |
[37:29] | Mr. Peterman, | 皮特曼先生 |
[37:31] | if the signal wasn’t faulty | 如果那个信号灯没有故障 |
[37:33] | then why are you replacing it? | 那你们为什么要替换它呢 |
[37:37] | Well… | 这个… |
[37:39] | we aren’t just replacing that one signal. | 我们不只是替换那一个信号灯 |
[37:42] | We’re replacing all the signals on that line. | 我们正在替换那条线路上的所有信号灯 |
[37:45] | It’s… part of a routine | 这… 也是例行系统升级 |
[37:48] | system upgrade. | 工作的一部分 |
[37:49] | But… | 但是 |
[37:50] | according to this report, | 根据这份报告 |
[37:53] | those signals are only ten months old. | 那些信号灯才使用了十个月 |
[37:56] | I mean, does your company routinely replace | 你们公司是每十个月例行替换 |
[37:59] | entire lines of signals after only ten months? | 整条线路上的信号灯吗 |
[38:05] | Never mind. Never mind. | 别在意 别在意 |
[38:08] | I have another question. | 我还有一个问题 |
[38:12] | Mr. Peterman, you see this | 皮特曼先生 看到这个 |
[38:15] | heavy file folder here? | 超级重的文件夹没有 |
[38:18] | There’s a bunch of work orders in here. | 这里面有一大堆工单 |
[38:20] | Work orders to replace | 单位要求替换密苏里州 |
[38:23] | the same type of signal on a… | 一条货运线上 |
[38:26] | freight line in Missouri, | 所有相同型号的信号灯 |
[38:28] | on a passenger line | 还有华盛顿城外 |
[38:30] | just outside of D.C., | 一条客运线 |
[38:31] | and a line in Canada. | 还有加拿大的一条线路 |
[38:35] | These are all lines | 这些都是你们公司 |
[38:36] | that are owned by your railroad company. | 名下的线路 |
[38:40] | Coincidence? | 巧合吗 |
[38:45] | I’m sorry,Mr. Peterman, | 抱歉 皮特曼先生 |
[38:47] | I can’t hear you. | 我听不见你说什么 |
[38:49] | I’m gonna need you to speak up. | 我需要你说出来 |
[38:51] | I wouldn’t want this jury to misunderstand. | 我不想让陪审团误解 |
[38:54] | No. | 不行 |
[38:56] | I wouldn’t want them to think that you knew | 我不想让他们认为你知道 |
[38:58] | this wreck wasn’t Walter.m.ra’s fault. | 这次失事并非沃特·莫拉的错 |
[39:01] | That you and the railroad you work for | 你以及你的公司 |
[39:03] | covered up an earlier incident involving faulty signals. | 掩盖了一个早期的信号故障事件 |
[39:06] | Objection. | 反对 |
[39:07] | Counsel is testifying. | 律师作证 |
[39:08] | – And by ignoring that earlier incident, – Your Honor. | – 由于无视那个早期事故 – 法官大人 |
[39:10] | You and the railroad you work for | 你和你的公司事实上 |
[39:12] | are actually directly responsible for this disaster. | 应该对这次灾难负直接责任 |
[39:15] | Or… | 或者 |
[39:16] | that you and the company you work for | 你和你的公司 |
[39:18] | are more than willing to send an innocent man to prison | 更愿意把一个无辜的人送进监狱 |
[39:21] | if it means you’d bear no responsibility | 只要因此你们可以不为自己的错误 |
[39:23] | for your mistakes. | 承担任何责任 |
[39:25] | I wouldn’t want the jury to jump to that conclusion, | 我不想让陪审团得出那样的结论 |
[39:27] | – Objection. – So speak up. | – 反对 – 所以说吧 |
[39:28] | Objection! | 反对 |
[39:31] | – Objection! – Quiet. | – 反对 – 安静 |
[39:32] | I need order. Quiet. | 肃静 安静 |
[39:38] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:40] | I see he doesn’t want to discuss it. | 我想他并不愿意讨论这个 |
[39:42] | Your Honor, a little help, please. | 法官大人 帮个忙谢谢 |
[39:45] | Objection overruled. | 反对无效 |
[39:47] | The witness will answer the question. | 证人需要回答问题 |
[39:50] | Questions. | 所有问题 |
[39:55] | I’m afraid I’m going to have to plead the Fifth. | 抱歉我拒绝回答 |
[40:29] | What a great concept, Bull. | 多么伟大的想法啊 布尔 |
[40:33] | What a great idea. | 这主意太棒了 |
[40:35] | A-A victory dinner. | 一个胜利的晚餐 |
[40:37] | We should do that after every case we win. | 每次赢了之后我们都该吃一顿 |
[40:40] | Yeah. But in order to be a dinner, | 对 但这要是个晚餐的话 |
[40:42] | you have to… | 你得 |
[40:43] | actually eat something. | 真的吃点什么东西下去 |
[40:46] | Damn, I knew we forgot something. | 擦 我就觉得忘了点啥 |
[40:48] | Well, next time. | 好吧下一次吃 |
[40:51] | Here’s a little something for you. | 有点东西给你 |
[40:53] | – From me. – What? | – 我给的 – 什么 |
[40:55] | – Yeah. – Oh… | – 对 – 哦 |
[40:57] | I have never… | 我从未在打赢官司之后 |
[40:59] | received a gift after winning a case, Bull. Thank you. | 收到过什么礼物 谢谢你 布尔 |
[41:02] | No, that’s not what it’s for. Go ahead, open it. | 不 不是为赢了官司给的 打开看看吧 |
[41:05] | Wha… | 什… |
[41:11] | I don’t get it. What is it? | 我搞不懂 这是什么 |
[41:14] | How are you gonna be a godfather without watching The Godfather? | 你要是没看过《教父》要怎么当教父呢 |
[41:19] | Uh, g… godfather? | 教… 教父 |
[41:25] | You want me to be Astrid’s godfather? | 你想让我当阿思翠的教父 |
[41:28] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[41:29] | And so does Izzy. | 伊兹也是这么想的 |
[41:31] | And… maybe it’s the liquor talking, | 可能是喝多了瞎说 |
[41:33] | but I’m pretty sure I heard Astrid say | 但是我很确认我听到阿思翠说 |
[41:35] | that she wanted you, too. | 她也想要你来当 |
[41:40] | I could not be more honored, Bull. | 荣幸至极 布尔 |
[41:43] | – Thank you. – Eh. | – 谢谢你 – 嗯 |
[41:45] | Thank you. This is… | 谢谢 这简直… |
[41:48] | You made me an offer I can’t refuse. | 你给了我一个无法拒绝的提议 |
[41:51] | Please don’t do that. | 那就别拒绝 |
[41:53] | Just when I thought I was out, | 就在我觉得自己已经出局的时候 |
[41:55] | you pull me right back in. | 你又把我捞了回来 |
[41:57] | No, no, no, you’re not even doing the same charac… | 不不不 你根本不是在扮演同样的角… |
[41:59] | Attica! Attica! | 为了自由 |
[42:01] | Pull over. I’m gonna take an Uber. | 停车 我叫个优步 |
[42:03] | Hey. You talkin’ to me? | 嗨 你在跟我说话吗 |
[42:05] | What? | 什么 |
[42:06] | You talkin’ to me? | 你在跟我说话吗 |
[42:07] | Well… I’m the only one here. Right? | 就我一个人在这 对吗 |