时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | We are on the record | 现在开始进行 |
[00:03] | at the beginning of media number one, volume one. | 媒体记录 第一册第一卷 |
[00:06] | This is the testimony of Elizabeth Holmes. | 该记录为伊丽莎白·霍姆斯的证词 |
[00:08] | Going on the record in San Francisco, California, | 录制于加利福尼亚 旧金山 |
[00:11] | nine o’clock a.m. on July 11th, 2017. | 2017年7月11日上午9点 |
[00:16] | Ms. Holmes, please raise your right hand. | 霍姆斯女士 请举起右手 |
[00:19] | You swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, | 你发誓将说出真相 句句属实 |
[00:20] | and nothing but the truth? | 绝无虚言 |
[00:22] | I do. | 我发誓 |
[00:23] | This is an investigation of Theranos Inc SF | 这是针对旧金山析兰诺斯公司的调查 |
[00:26] | to determine whether there have been violations | 以确定该公司是否出现违反 |
[00:28] | of certain provisions of federal security laws. | 联邦安全法律部分规定的行为 |
[00:30] | Any reason why you can’t give full, complete, and truthful testimony today? | 你今天有任何理由不能提供完整 充分且真实的证词吗 |
[00:38] | Can you say the company name? | 你能说出公司的名字吗 |
[00:39] | Theranos. | 析兰诺斯 |
[00:40] | I thought it was Thera-nos. | 我以为是析拉恩诺斯 |
[00:42] | No. Theranos. It’s a mix between “Therapy” and “Diagnosis.” | 不 是析兰诺斯 融合了”治疗”和”诊断”的概念 |
[00:46] | Why not Theranosis? | 为何不取名为希拉诺塞斯 |
[00:49] | Because the name is Theranos. | 因为公司名就是析兰诺斯 |
[00:53] | Actually, can we cut that part about the name? | 我们能别聊公司名字了吗 |
[00:56] | So, currently we have 500 employees. | 目前我们有五百名员工 |
[00:59] | We are valued at nine billion dollars. | 我们公司估值是九十亿美元 |
[01:03] | We offer 200 of the most commonly ordered blood tests. | 我们提供200种最常见的血液检测 |
[01:07] | And the best part is… | 最棒的一点在于… |
[01:08] | “We don’t use a syringe for any of it.” | “任何一种都无需使用注射器” |
[01:10] | Then you go on to say, “We can run 70 tests | 然后你继续说 “仅需一滴血液 |
[01:13] | on a single drop of blood.” | 我们就能进行70项检测” |
[01:15] | Would you characterize those claims as truthful? | 你是否亲口说出这些话 |
[01:18] | 伊丽莎白·霍姆斯 首席执行官 | |
[01:18] | Okay some rapid-fire questions. | 好了 来一些快问快答 |
[01:20] | We call them “Maker’s Minute.” | 我们称之为”创客时刻” |
[01:22] | So you are America’s youngest female self-made billionaire. | 你是美国最年轻的 白手起家的女性亿万富翁 |
[01:28] | That’s pretty cool. | 这太酷了 |
[01:31] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[01:34] | If you are what you eat, | 如果说人如其食 |
[01:36] | what are you? | 那么你是 |
[01:38] | Green juice. | 绿色蔬菜汁 |
[01:40] | Favorite place to visit. | 最喜欢去的地方 |
[01:43] | My office. | 我的办公室 |
[01:46] | Best word to describe you? | 最适合描述你的词语 |
[01:54] | Mission oriented. | 任务导向型 |
[02:08] | You don’t have to finish. | 你没必要跑完 |
[02:09] | You can stop if you want to stop. | 想停就停吧 |
[02:13] | Don’t cross the track till the last runner is done, alright? | 等最后一位跑者跑完才能穿过跑道 |
[02:22] | Why is she still running? | 她怎么还在跑 |
[02:23] | Go, Elizabeth. You are doing great! | 快跑 伊丽莎白 你做得很棒 |
[02:26] | Why does she run so weird? | 她跑起来怎么这么奇怪 |
[02:34] | A healthcare pioneer is being compared to visionaries | 一位医疗保健先锋人物 极具远见卓识 |
[02:36] | like Bill Gates and Steve Jobs… | 与比尔·盖茨和史蒂夫·乔布斯相提并论… |
[02:38] | A revolutionary company that threatens to change healthcare, | 一家旨在颠覆医疗保健行业的革命性公司 |
[02:41] | the same way that Amazon changed retail | 就像亚马逊改变了零售业 |
[02:42] | or Apple, yes, changed the cell phone. It could be the… | 苹果颠覆了手机概念 这会是… |
[02:45] | We’ve got a just really smart female CEO | 我们有一位非常聪明的女性首席执行官 |
[02:49] | who’s going to do a wonderful thing for the world. | 她将为世界做出巨大的贡献 |
[02:51] | You want it to work. We all want that to work. | 你希望她成功 我们都希望她成功 |
[02:54] | Not only did they fool the investors, | 他们不仅愚弄了投资者 |
[02:56] | they fooled the media. | 他们愚弄了媒体 |
[02:57] | They fooled patients. | 愚弄了病人 |
[02:59] | They fooled doctors. | 愚弄了医生 |
[03:01] | It was a medical fraud. | 这是一场医疗欺诈 |
[03:02] | This disregard for patients’ lives | 这种对于病人生命的漠视 |
[03:04] | was unconscionable. | 实在是丧尽天良 |
[03:06] | They hurt people. | 他们在害人 |
[03:07] | This company hurt people. | 这家公司在害人 |
[03:14] | Can you help me? My wallet has been stolen. | 你能帮助我吗 我的钱包被偷了 |
[03:22] | I’m not listening to this. | 我不要听这个 |
[03:28] | Dude, why does your music blow so hard? | 老姐 你的音乐怎么都这么猛 |
[03:31] | Do you want to walk home from school or do you want me to drive you? | 你是想从学校走回家 还是老老实实坐车上 |
[03:35] | You’re such a biatch. | 你可真是个小婊砸 |
[03:36] | ♪ I’m in a hurry to get things done ♪ | ♪ 我脚步匆匆 要成就事业 ♪ |
[03:40] | ♪ Oh, I rush and rush until life’s no fun ♪ | ♪ 全力奔跑 生活枯燥 ♪ |
[03:44] | This is a great song. | 这歌可带劲了 |
[03:44] | ♪ All I really gotta do is live and die ♪ | ♪ 人生不过生死之间 ♪ |
[03:47] | ♪ But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why ♪ | ♪ 我却不知为何脚步匆匆 ♪ |
[03:52] | ♪ Don’t know why ♪ | ♪ 不知为何 ♪ |
[03:55] | ♪ I have to drive so fast ♪ | ♪ 我把车开得飞快 ♪ |
[03:57] | ♪ My car has nothing to prove ♪ | ♪ 并不需要证明什么 ♪ |
[03:59] | Why is dad home? | 爸爸怎么在家 |
[04:00] | ♪ It’s not new ♪ | ♪ 这辆旧车 ♪ |
[04:02] | ♪ But it’ll… ♪ | ♪ 仍然… ♪ |
[04:06] | It was pink slips for 4,000 Enron… | 安然公司四千名员工遭解雇… |
[04:11] | Chris. | 克里斯 |
[04:12] | Chris! | 克里斯 |
[04:14] | The kids are here. | 孩子们回来了 |
[04:17] | Are you going to tell them? | 你要告诉他们吗 |
[04:18] | Increasing consumer spending in October… | 十月份消费支出增加… |
[04:21] | Your father lost his job. | 你们爸爸失业了 |
[04:23] | Everyone lost their jobs. | 所有人都失业了 |
[04:26] | Company’s bankrupt. It’s on TV. | 公司破产 电视上也在放 |
[04:29] | And many Enron employees | 许多安然公司的员工 |
[04:30] | will lose more than just their jobs. | 失去的不只是工作 |
[04:32] | At the outside of this year, fully half… | 今年年初 整整一半… |
[04:35] | Who wants a snack? | 谁要来点零食 |
[04:38] | I don’t want Snackwells. | 我不要斯耐克威尔士 |
[04:40] | Mom. Mom! I don’t want Snackwells. | 妈 妈 我不要吃斯耐克威尔士 |
[04:42] | This is what we have. | 我们只有这个 |
[04:43] | – Enron Corporation now heading… – They lied to me. | -安然公司即将… -他们骗了我 |
[04:46] | About everything. | 所有的一切 |
[04:48] | The whole company. | 整个公司 |
[04:49] | It was a… fraud. | 都是一场… 骗局 |
[04:50] | You didn’t know? | 你不知道吗 |
[04:52] | Does this mean we’re gonna have to move again? | 是不是意味着我们又要搬家了 |
[04:53] | Not if your father asks Richard for help. | 除非你爸找理查德帮忙 |
[04:56] | I don’t want to talk about this in front of the kids. | 我不想在孩子面前聊这些 |
[04:57] | Lorraine said he would help. | 洛琳说他会帮忙的 |
[05:00] | All you have to do is call. | 你只要打个电话就行了 |
[05:01] | She’s your friend. | 她是你的朋友 |
[05:02] | I’m not asking the husband of your friend for money. | 我不会问你朋友的丈夫借钱 |
[05:05] | He’s classless, he’s a scam artist, he’s… | 他是个粗人 诈骗高手 他… |
[05:08] | Well, I’m not gonna move again. | 反正我不要再搬家了 |
[05:15] | I’m not asking Richard. | 我不会求理查德 |
[05:16] | So… | 所以… |
[05:18] | Enron? | 安然公司 |
[05:20] | I saw that coming. | 我料到了 |
[05:22] | Well, I wish I had as well. | 真希望我也有这种远见 |
[05:25] | Well, on a lighter note, | 说点轻松的 |
[05:27] | early decision at Stanford? | 被斯坦福大学提前录取了吗 |
[05:31] | You must be a legacy. | 用了父母的关系吧 |
[05:32] | – No. I’m a President’s Scholar. – We are so… | -不 我得了总统奖学金 -我们非常… |
[05:35] | It means that | 也就是说 |
[05:36] | I’m the top ten percent of the accepted students. | 我位列被录取学生中的前百分之十 |
[05:40] | Okay! | 真棒啊 |
[05:44] | You’re not shy about that. | 你一点也不含蓄啊 |
[05:46] | Well, why would I be? | 为什么要呢 |
[05:47] | I don’t know. | 我也不懂 |
[05:48] | President’s Scholar sounds like you’re gonna be president some day. | 总统奖学金听着像是你有一天会成为总统 |
[05:52] | I don’t wanna be president. | 我不想当总统 |
[05:53] | I, I wanna be a billionaire. | 我 我想当亿万富翁 |
[05:56] | Okay! | 真不错 |
[06:00] | – Is this cheese? – It’s chevre. | -这是奶酪吗 -山羊奶酪 |
[06:02] | You know, it’s not just about… the money. | 这不仅事关… 金钱 |
[06:06] | You have to have a, a purpose. | 人总要有个 目标 |
[06:08] | – She’s going to study biomedical engineering. | 她要去学生物医学工程 |
[06:11] | We come from a long line of doctors on my side of the family. | 我家这边出过不少医生 |
[06:13] | First step is Stanford. | 第一步就是进斯坦福 |
[06:17] | And then I’m gonna graduate, | 等我毕业 |
[06:19] | and I plan on inventing a product | 我打算开发一个产品 |
[06:21] | and start a company. | 然后创立公司 |
[06:23] | Well, I may know a little something about that. | 这种事情我还是了解一点的 |
[06:27] | Richard’s company has hundreds of medical patents. | 理查德的公司有上百个医疗专利 |
[06:30] | He could give you some advice. | 他能给你一些建议 |
[06:32] | But don’t you just file patents | 你们不就是申请专利 |
[06:34] | so companies have to pay you off? | 然后卖给公司赚钱吗 |
[06:36] | – No. – Right? | -不 -不是吗 |
[06:37] | No. That is not what Richard does at all. | 不是 理查德可不是干这个的 |
[06:40] | I wouldn’t put it that way. | 我可不会这么形容 |
[06:43] | The medical training company that I started | 我创立的医疗培训公司 |
[06:47] | sold for over $50 million. | 卖了五千万 |
[06:51] | But I get the feeling you think you’re smarter than me. | 我发现你好像觉得自己比我聪明 |
[07:03] | No. | 没有 |
[07:07] | Would anyone like to see the upstairs remodel before dinner? | 你们有谁想在吃饭前看看楼上的装修吗 |
[07:10] | Yes. | 当然 |
[07:11] | One taker. Anybody else? | 一个 还有人吗 |
[07:13] | Chris, maybe this is a good time for you to talk to Richard. | 克里斯 这是个好机会 跟理查德好好聊聊 |
[07:16] | Yes. | 好 |
[07:18] | – Richard, can we go in the other… – How bad is it? | -理查德 我们能不能去另一个… -有多糟 |
[07:22] | Well… well, it’s fine. | 其实… 也还好 |
[07:24] | It’s, it’s gonna be fine. | 会 会好起来的 |
[07:25] | Lorraine says you need help with your house. | 洛琳说你们的住处还没有着落 |
[07:28] | Richard, um, I’m going to wait till the kids leave, | 理查德 等孩子们走了 |
[07:30] | – to keep talking. – Yes. Come on, kids, let’s go. | -我们再讨论 -对 走吧 孩子们 我们走 |
[07:33] | I want you to see this wainscoting. | 我带你们看看壁板 |
[07:39] | We haven’t sold our old house. | 我们还没卖掉老房子 |
[07:42] | You can stay there. | 你们可以去那住 |
[07:47] | I don’t mean to put you on the spot. I could help. | 我不想让你为难 我能帮你 |
[07:49] | Thank you. Yes. | 谢谢 好的 |
[08:11] | Dad. | 爸爸 |
[08:15] | I didn’t see you. | 我没看到你 |
[08:17] | Don’t take Richard’s money. | 别拿理查德的钱 |
[08:19] | We don’t need him. | 我们不需要他 |
[08:21] | Dad. | 爸 |
[08:28] | Remember this? | 记得这个吗 |
[08:30] | You invented a time machine. | 你发明的时光机 |
[08:32] | I was seven. | 我那时才七岁 |
[08:35] | That’s stupid. | 太傻了 |
[08:38] | Look at this. | 你看这个 |
[08:40] | You wrote me a letter. | 你给我写了一封信 |
[08:42] | Look. | 看 |
[08:47] | “Dear Dad, | “亲爱的爸爸 |
[08:49] | What I really want out of life | 我对生活真正的向往 |
[08:52] | is to discover something new. | 在于发明创造 |
[08:55] | Something mankind didn’t know it was possible to do…” | 让不可能变为可能…” |
[09:05] | I’m sorry. I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[09:09] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[09:33] | ♪ I’m in a hurry to get things done ♪ | ♪ 我脚步匆匆 要成就事业 ♪ |
[09:37] | ♪ Oh, I rush and rush until life’s no fun ♪ | ♪ 全力奔跑 生活枯燥 ♪ |
[09:41] | ♪ All I really gotta do is live and die ♪ | ♪ 人生不过生死之间 ♪ |
[09:44] | ♪ But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why ♪ | ♪ 我却不知为何脚步匆匆 ♪ |
[09:50] | ♪ Can’t be late ♪ | ♪ 不能拖延 ♪ |
[09:52] | ♪ I leave in plenty of time ♪ | ♪ 时间充裕 ♪ |
[09:55] | ♪ Shakin’ hands with the clock ♪ | ♪ 时钟是我的伙伴 ♪ |
[09:57] | ♪ I can’t stop ♪ | ♪ 不能停下 ♪ |
[09:59] | ♪ I’m on a roll, and I’m ready to rock ♪ | ♪ 我已蓄势待发 ♪ |
[10:03] | ♪ Oh, I’m in a hurry to get things done ♪ | ♪ 我脚步匆匆 要成就事业 ♪ |
[10:08] | ♪ Oh, I rush and rush until life’s no fun ♪ | ♪ 全力奔跑 生活枯燥 ♪ |
[10:11] | ♪ All I really gotta do is live and die ♪ | ♪ 人生不过生死之间 ♪ |
[10:14] | ♪ But I’m in a hurry and don’t know why ♪ | ♪ 我却不知为何脚步匆匆 ♪ |
[10:18] | ♪ Oh, I’m in a hurry to get things done ♪ | ♪ 我脚步匆匆 要成就事业 ♪ |
[10:22] | ♪ Oh, I rush and rush… ♪ | ♪ 全力奔跑… ♪ |
[10:25] | So we just need to do some blood work for the physical. | 我们需要抽一点血做检查 |
[10:28] | – Where are you going this summer? – Beijing. | -你这个假期要去哪 -北京 |
[10:30] | She’s going to need to lie down. Blood makes her faint. | 她需要躺下 她晕血 |
[10:32] | – No, it doesn’t. I’m fine. – She gets it from me. | -不 我没事的 -她从我这遗传的 |
[10:35] | Here, eat these cookies, | 给 吃点小饼干 |
[10:37] | and I’ll be right back to draw your blood. | 我马上就回来给你抽血 |
[10:42] | You need to touch up your roots. | 你再染染发根 |
[10:44] | You look better blonde. | 你金发更好看一点 |
[10:46] | – Hey, Mom. – Yeah. | -妈 -怎么了 |
[10:49] | I want you to know that | 我想告诉你一下 |
[10:51] | I’m considering becoming sexually active this summer | 这个夏天我可能会发生性行为 |
[10:54] | What? | 什么 |
[11:02] | Is there a boy you know | 是认识了哪个男孩 |
[11:03] | going on the… Beijing trip? | 跟你一起… 去北京吗 |
[11:07] | I haven’t picked anybody out. | 还没有确定人选 |
[11:10] | But I, I wanna do it before I go to college, | 但是 我希望在上大学之前做这件事 |
[11:12] | and I wanted you to know. | 我想让你知道 |
[11:19] | Are you gonna be careful? | 你会小心的吧 |
[11:21] | Obviously. I’ll use condoms. | 当然了 我会用避孕套的 |
[11:23] | No. I mean, yes, use condoms, | 不 用避孕套是必须的 |
[11:26] | but that’s not what I was talking about. | 但是我想说的不是这个 |
[11:31] | boys aren’t always going to act like gentlemen, | 男孩子并不总是会表现得很体贴 |
[11:36] | so it is up to you | 所以就需要你自己 |
[11:39] | to protect yourself | 保护好自己 |
[11:43] | as a woman… | 作为一个女人… |
[11:46] | – Excuse me. – Yep. | -借过 -好的 |
[11:48] | Yes. | 好的 |
[11:51] | You have to watch out. | 你必须要仔细 |
[11:53] | When you travel, | 在旅行的时候 |
[11:55] | a nice man could turn around | 好人也有可能露出真面目 |
[11:58] | and kidnap you and make you a sex slave and then… | 绑架你 让你成为他的性奴 然后… |
[12:01] | I just need your left arm. | 请把左臂伸出来 |
[12:13] | I can’t look at this. I’ll be outside. | 我看不了这个 我去外面等你 |
[12:14] | -Mom, wait. – I’ll be outside. | -妈妈 等等 -我在外面等你 |
[12:16] | Wait. | 等等 |
[12:18] | It’s okay. You got this. | 没事的 很快 |
[12:35] | And you and Mr. Balwani were engaged in a romantic relationship? | 你和巴尔瓦尼先生当时是恋爱关系 |
[12:39] | Yes. | 对 |
[12:41] | And after Mr. Balwani joined the company as president and COO, | 在巴尔瓦尼先生加入公司成为主席和首席运营官之后 |
[12:44] | did you ever tell investors | 你邀请投资人投资析兰诺斯的时候 |
[12:46] | that you and Mr. Balwani had a romantic relationship | 你跟他们说过 |
[12:48] | at the time you were asking them to invest in Theranos? | 你和巴尔瓦尼先生有过恋爱关系吗 |
[12:52] | No. | 没有 |
[12:53] | And when did you first get to know Mr. Sunny Balwani? | 你是什么时候认识桑尼·巴尔瓦尼先生的 |
[13:32] | – No. No, truly, when are Josh and those guys coming? | -不 不 真的 乔希他们什么时候来 |
[13:35] | – It’s like, I gotta know. – I don’t know | -我必须得知道 -我不知道 |
[13:36] | but, like, are they bringing beer? | 不过 他们会带啤酒过来吗 |
[13:38] | I hope they’re bringing beer. Yeah, we’re gonna drink. | 希望他们带了啤酒 我们要喝酒 |
[13:41] | No, Josh is like, he’s on. | 乔希可嗨了 |
[13:43] | No, it’s so fun. It’s gonna be such a good time. | 特别有意思 我们会玩得很开心的 |
[13:46] | – I’m gonna get drunk! – What are you wearing? | -我会喝得烂醉 -你穿什么 |
[13:53] | 应该说普通话 唯有这样我们才能进步 | |
[13:58] | My god, speak English. | 天啊 说英语吧 |
[14:01] | It’s Friday. | 今天周五 |
[14:06] | She’s so weird! | 她太奇怪了 |
[14:53] | Yeah, I don’t know what you’re saying. | 我不知道你在说什么 |
[14:55] | I’m not good at this. | 我中文不好 |
[15:41] | You don’t need the ” shi.” | 你不需要加上”是” |
[15:44] | It, it translates to “you very impressive.” | 直接说”你让我印象深刻” |
[15:47] | So, you go from the noun straight to the degree adverb. | 名词后面直接加程度副词就行了 |
[15:54] | Are you an administrator here? | 你是这里的管理人员吗 |
[15:56] | Why, because I’m old? | 怎么说 因为我很老吗 |
[15:58] | Yes, it’s a college program. | 对 这是个大学项目 |
[16:00] | I came because I wanted to learn Mandarin. | 我过来是为了学中文 |
[16:02] | China’s just entered the WTO. | 中国刚刚加入了世界贸易组织 |
[16:05] | It’s going to be the manufacturing capital of the world. | 将会成为世界的制造中心 |
[16:14] | – Do you have a job or something? – No. | -你有工作吗 -没有 |
[16:17] | I started a software company and sold it for $40 million. | 我开了个软件公司然后卖了四千万 |
[16:25] | You’re not supposed to open the lid all the way. | 你不能把盖子一直开着 |
[16:28] | It’s not going to cook. | 这样煮不熟 |
[16:31] | No, I can’t watch this. | 不 我看不下去了 |
[16:34] | Come with me and get some real food. | 跟我来 吃点正常的饭 |
[16:44] | Come on. | 来吧 |
[16:44] | I can’t leave the dorm with you. | 我不能跟你出宿舍 |
[16:49] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[16:53] | Wait. Wait. | 等等 |
[16:55] | Le… Let me just… | 让我… 拿… |
[16:58] | Let me grab my money belt. | 拿上我的腰包 |
[17:04] | Are you a Muslim? | 你是穆斯林吗 |
[17:06] | I’m Hindu. That’s why my family had to leave Pakistan and move to India. | 我信印度教 所以我全家被迫离开巴基斯坦去印度 |
[17:10] | And then I got the fuck out of there and moved to California. | 然后我离开了那个鬼地方 搬到了加利福尼亚 |
[17:13] | Do you miss your home? | 你想家吗 |
[17:15] | I don’t know what my home is. | 我不知道家是什么 |
[17:16] | When we left Pakistan, | 离开巴基斯坦的时候 |
[17:17] | we had to leave our house, we had to leave everything. | 我们不得不丢下房子 丢下所有东西 |
[17:20] | And after that, | 那之后 |
[17:23] | I wanted to go to the States for college. | 我想去美国上学 |
[17:26] | This was in 1986. | 那是1986年 |
[17:29] | How old were you in ’86? | 你那会多大 |
[17:31] | – I was two. – Jesus. | -两岁 -天啊 |
[17:35] | Try some of my scorpion. | 尝尝我的蝎子吧 |
[17:38] | No. Thank you. | 不了 谢谢 |
[17:39] | – It’s crunchy. – No way. | -很脆的 -不可能 |
[17:44] | – Go on, take a bite. – I don’t want to take a bite. | -来 咬一口 -我不想咬 |
[17:47] | Do it. | 快咬 |
[17:58] | It’s not funny. | 一点也不好笑 |
[18:05] | You can go. | 你可以走了 |
[18:06] | I want to stay here | 我想留下 |
[18:09] | till I know you’re safe. | 确保你没事 |
[18:41] | – I can’t. – You can’t hear how that’s wrong? | -我做不到 -你听不出来哪有问题吗 |
[18:53] | You know what? You’re not trying hard enough. | 知道吗 你不够努力 |
[18:55] | It’s not that hard. | 没那么难的 |
[18:56] | That’s why I think I want to focus on the biomedical industry. | 所以我想专注于生物医学行业 |
[18:59] | Because I want to help people | 因为我想救人 |
[19:02] | and I want to be a billionaire. | 也想成为亿万富翁 |
[19:04] | Like Steve Jobs. | 就像史蒂夫·乔布斯 |
[19:05] | You know what you want. | 你目标明确 |
[19:07] | I do. | 确实 |
[19:09] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[19:11] | For what? | 谢什么 |
[19:13] | Not laughing. | 没笑我 |
[19:17] | My dad comes from an incredible family of inventors and businessmen. | 我爸爸的家族很厉害 有很多发明家和商人 |
[19:21] | He just wants me to live up to my potential. | 他想让我发挥出自己的潜力 |
[19:25] | What about your parents? | 你的父母呢 |
[19:27] | My mother’s in India. | 我母亲在印度 |
[19:30] | My dad died a couple of years ago. | 我爸爸几年前去世了 |
[19:34] | I’m so sorry. | 请节哀 |
[19:35] | How? | 怎么回事 |
[19:38] | I don’t want to talk about it. | 我不想聊这个 |
[19:42] | Would you like to dance? | 你想跳舞吗 |
[19:53] | This doesn’t feel right. | 感觉好奇怪 |
[19:56] | Well… | 好吧… |
[19:58] | – we can just… – Yeah. | -我们可以… -好 |
[20:14] | The sunset is beautiful. | 夕阳真美 |
[20:19] | It’s the air pollution. | 这是空气污染带来的 |
[20:34] | You know what this has meant to me? | 你知道这对我来说多重要吗 |
[20:37] | Yeah? | 对吧 |
[20:39] | This whole month has been… | 这整个月真的… |
[20:39] | Yeah, but we don’t have to say goodbye. | 但是我们不是非要说再见 |
[20:42] | Because I’m gonna be in Palo Alto in August, | 我八月就会去帕洛阿托 |
[20:42] | [西邻斯坦福大学 硅谷的中心] | |
[20:45] | and then we’ll live in the same city. | 我们就住在同一座城市了 |
[20:49] | What time do you have to leave for India tomorrow? | 你明天什么时候去印度 |
[20:51] | Early. | 很早 |
[20:54] | My mother’s arranged this whole dinner thing. | 我母亲安排了晚餐 |
[21:02] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问个问题吗 |
[21:04] | How did your dad die? | 你爸爸怎么去世的 |
[21:06] | You never told me. | 你一直没告诉我 |
[21:09] | He went to the hospital with chest pains. | 他因为胸痛去了医院 |
[21:13] | And the idiot doctor ordered a bunch of tests, | 然后那个蠢货医生做了一堆检查 |
[21:16] | but they were the wrong tests. | 但都是错的检查 |
[21:19] | He said it was just stress and sent him home. | 他说只是压力有点大 让他回家 |
[21:24] | And then, that night he died. | 他当晚就去世了 |
[21:27] | Of a heart attack. | 死于心脏病 |
[21:32] | Completely fucking preventable. | 完全他妈的可以避免 |
[21:34] | And I think about it every single day! | 我每天都在想这件事 |
[21:48] | I don’t know, I… | 我也不知道… |
[21:51] | I get angry sometimes. | 有时候我控制不了情绪 |
[21:57] | Give me your wallet. | 把你的钱包给我 |
[22:12] | It’s custom in China | 在中国有一种习俗 |
[22:15] | to burn the things that you want the dead to have in the afterlife. | 烧东西给九泉下的先人 |
[22:27] | For your dad. | 为了你父亲 |
[22:44] | We’re gonna burn this fucking building down. | 我们要把这破房子烧了 |
[23:02] | I should get to bed. | 我该去睡觉了 |
[23:07] | Have a good freshman year. | 祝你大一学年顺利 |
[23:33] | Give it a whirl… | 转一下… |
[23:35] | Shit. | 妈的 |
[23:36] | Your shower caddy. | 你的淋浴篮 |
[23:38] | It’s okay. | 没事 |
[23:39] | Don’t worry. | 别担心 |
[23:43] | Rock you, girl… | 带你爽上天… |
[23:45] | Because it’s beautiful. | 因为很美 |
[23:46] | Microfluidics is beautiful? How? | 微流控技术很美 哪里美 |
[23:48] | Microfluidics is… | 微流控… |
[23:51] | Okay, imagine printer ink. | 想一下打印机墨水 |
[23:53] | So your printer has | 打印机有 |
[23:55] | one base color to start, and then it goes through, | 一种基础颜色 然后它穿过 |
[23:57] | say, three different channels | 比方说 三条不同的通道 |
[23:58] | and then that reaches three different destinations, | 然后到达三个不同的位置 |
[24:01] | and each of those has a different reactive | 每个位置有不同的反应物 |
[24:04] | that give you a different color. | 会呈现不同的颜色 |
[24:06] | So you want to make ink cartridges. | 所以你想造墨盒 |
[24:08] | – No. – I’m kidding. | -不是 -我开玩笑的 |
[24:10] | By the way, I’m sorry we didn’t talk yesterday. | 对了 很抱歉昨天没跟你联系 |
[24:12] | I was moving into my new place. | 我忙着搬家 |
[24:16] | Hey, do you like beer? | 你喜欢啤酒吗 |
[24:19] | ‘Cause I really like it. | 我很喜欢 |
[24:20] | So you like microfluidics | 所以你喜欢微流控技术 |
[24:23] | and beer. | 和啤酒 |
[24:25] | – Sunny. – Yeah. | -桑尼 -怎么了 |
[24:29] | I really love it here. | 我很喜欢这里 |
[25:00] | I’m not a software engineer. | 我不是软件工程师 |
[25:02] | I’m a physician and a scientist. | 我是医生 科学家 |
[25:03] | But I do think that technology | 但是我认为科学技术 |
[25:07] | can have an enormous, impact | 会给医疗保健产业 |
[25:09] | on the healthcare industry. | 带来巨大影响 |
[25:11] | And I, I do think that we’re just starting to understand | 而且 我认为我们才刚刚开始认识到 |
[25:14] | the impact that technology can have on all parts of our life. | 科学技术能给我们生活方方面面带来的影响 |
[25:18] | Amazing. | 太棒了 |
[25:19] | – So you are a doctor? – Yes. | -所以你是一位医生 -是的 |
[25:21] | An inventor. | 发明家 |
[25:23] | An investor. | 投资人 |
[25:24] | You’ve served on boards of companies. | 你是多家公司董事会的成员 |
[25:27] | I mean, why are you also a professor? | 为什么你还选择成为一名教授 |
[25:29] | Because, honestly, | 因为… 说实话 |
[25:31] | Stanford is the most exciting place to be right now. | 现在斯坦福大学是最令人振奋的地方 |
[25:35] | And it’s 2002, | 现在是2002年 |
[25:36] | so just imagine what tech is gonna be able to do in 2022. | 想象一下 到了2022年 技术会发展到什么程度 |
[25:40] | And it’s gonna be up to you guys. | 未来全由你们创造 |
[25:43] | What are they calling you these days? The Millennials. | 大家怎么称呼你们的 千禧一代 |
[25:46] | ‘Cause you, you grew up with computers. | 计算机伴随着你们成长 |
[25:48] | You’re not scared of what they can do. | 你们对计算机技术没有畏惧心理 |
[25:50] | But you still have to remember there’s a lot | 但你们仍然要记得 还有很多事情 |
[25:52] | that we don’t know. | 是我们不了解的 |
[25:53] | And you, you, are the ones who are gonna find out. | 而你们 就是你们 将会发现更多可能性 |
[26:07] | – Professor Robertson. – God, it’s you. No. | -罗伯森教授 -天啊 是你 不行 |
[26:10] | No, I can’t let you in. | 不 我不能接收你 |
[26:13] | It is a graduate-level research group | 这是个研究生团队 |
[26:15] | and you are a freshman? | 而你是大一新生 |
[26:16] | – Right. – So, you’re not ready. | -是的 -所以你还没准备好 |
[26:18] | – I know, but I, I was thinking… | -我知道 但我在想… |
[26:19] | Why do you want to be in a graduate group? | 你怎么会想加入研究生团队 |
[26:21] | Just be a freshman. | 像其他新生一样 |
[26:23] | Just run around and get drunk and break some hearts | 四处玩闹 喝个烂醉 受些感情的罪 |
[26:25] | and sleep with your boyfriend. | 和你的男友上床 |
[26:27] | I broke up with my boyfriend this morning | 我早上刚和男友分手 |
[26:29] | – ’cause he’s too much of a distraction. – How did that go? | -谈恋爱太分心了 -结果如何 |
[26:31] | Pretty good. | 很不错 |
[26:32] | – Pretty good? – You need to change the flow rate. | -很不错 -你需要改变流速 |
[26:34] | That’s why your experiment is not working. | 这是实验难以进展的原因 |
[26:37] | – Wait, what? – You need to change the flow rate. | -等等 你说什么 -你需要改变流速 |
[26:41] | How do you know what we’re working on here? | 你怎么知道我们在这儿做什么 |
[26:44] | Because my TA, Rakesh, let me look at his notes. | 因为我的助教 拉凯什 他让我看了实验记录 |
[26:46] | He’s a Cubs fan. I bought him a hat. | 他是小熊队的粉丝 我送了他一顶帽子 |
[26:50] | Come on. | 进来吧 |
[27:19] | It’s over here. | 就在这儿 |
[27:22] | Where are we on the flow rate? | 我们现在的流速是多少 |
[27:25] | What’s up, dude? | 你好 |
[27:26] | Hey, what’s up? | 你好 |
[27:27] | It’s not the flow rate. I tried that. | 不是流速的问题 我试过了 |
[27:29] | We think maybe changing the viscosity a little bit might… | 我们在想 改变黏度或许可以… |
[27:32] | You… | 你… |
[27:35] | You, you did, you sped up the flow rate | 你… 你只是提高了流速 |
[27:37] | but in order to, to maintain the average linear velocity, | 但是要想… 维持平均线速度 |
[27:41] | you need to also increase the dimension | 需要同时增大尺寸 |
[27:44] | of the five outlet channels. | 那五个出口管道的尺寸 |
[27:50] | – That’s not true. I personally… – Yes, it is. | -不对 我个人… -我是对的 |
[27:59] | Yes, it is. | 她是对的 |
[28:04] | She’s one of my freshmen. | 她是我带的大一新生 |
[28:07] | Fuck, you’re a freshman. | 操 你是个新生 |
[28:11] | You’re in. | 欢迎加入 |
[28:14] | – Can you get her a lab coat? – Nice. | -你能帮她拿件实验服吗 -很好 |
[28:22] | Channing said he would hear my ideas for products. | 钱宁说他愿意听听我对产品的想法 |
[28:24] | And we’re working on such amazing technologies. | 我们正在研究一种惊人的技术 |
[28:26] | That professor is in love with you. | 那位教授一定爱上你了 |
[28:28] | No, he’s not. | 不 他没有 |
[28:30] | Whatever. | 随你怎么说 |
[28:31] | Am I going to see you this summer? | 我这个夏天能去见你吗 |
[28:34] | – See me? – Yeah, see you. | -见我吗 -是的 见你 |
[28:41] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[28:42] | What are you up to? | 你最近怎么样 |
[28:45] | I’m very busy. | 我很忙 |
[28:47] | I’m going to be driving around in my new Lamborghini. | 我要开着我的新兰博基尼四处转转 |
[28:49] | Ooh. You got a Lamborghini. | 你买了一辆兰博基尼 |
[28:52] | Yes, the most expensive one. | 是的 最贵的那一款 |
[28:54] | Why? | 为什么 |
[28:55] | Because I can. | 因为我买得起 |
[28:59] | Because no one thinks that you’re a terrorist | 因为我开着兰博基尼的话 |
[29:01] | when you drive a Lamborghini. | 就没人会觉得我是恐怖分子了 |
[29:03] | Motherfuckers. | 那些混账 |
[29:06] | So, you wrote this up this summer? | 这是你今年夏天写的吗 |
[29:08] | Yeah, I had a little too much downtime at my internship. | 是的 我实习有很多空闲时间 |
[29:11] | So it’s a, it’s a patch. | 这是一种补片 |
[29:14] | I can see that. | 看得出来 |
[29:15] | It’s a wearable device | 是一种可穿戴设备 |
[29:18] | that administers a drug, just like an antibiotic, | 可以控制一种药物 比如抗生素 |
[29:21] | directly into the patient’s bloodstream | 直接注入病人的血液 |
[29:23] | while simultaneously monitoring | 此外还能同时检测 |
[29:25] | whether the medication is working. | 药物是否已经发挥作用 |
[29:27] | It’s diagnosis and therapy at the same time. | 它同时具备诊断和治疗的功能 |
[29:33] | Yeah. | 不错 |
[29:34] | I want to start a company. | 我想成立一家公司 |
[29:37] | And I’d like you to be a founding member. | 而且我希望你能加入创始团队 |
[29:40] | I don’t want to wait. | 我不想再等了 |
[29:42] | David Filo and Jerry Yang started Yahoo | 大卫•费罗和杨致远创立雅虎公司时 |
[29:44] | while they were in your program. | 就是在你的团队里 |
[29:46] | You must have invested. | 肯定有你的功劳 |
[29:48] | Actually they asked me, and I said no. | 事实上他们问过我 但是我拒绝了 |
[29:51] | Wish I could take that one back. | 真希望我可以收回那句话 |
[29:56] | You know what, I’m gonna put you in touch with a physician | 我可以帮你联系一位医生 |
[29:58] | to talk about the viability of this. | 你们聊聊这个方案的可行性 |
[30:00] | Do you know Phyllis Gardner? | 你认不认识菲莉丝·加德纳 |
[30:19] | Channing Robertson sent you? | 钱宁·罗伯森让你来的 |
[30:21] | Yes, I’m in his graduate research group | 是的 我参与了他的研究生项目 |
[30:23] | as a, a sophomore. | 但我是一名大二学生 |
[30:26] | Well… | 好吧… |
[30:27] | um, it’s never gonna work. | 这是行不通的 |
[30:30] | A patch is too small to store full doses | 补片太小了 难以存储所需药物 |
[30:33] | of a single drug, let alone multiple drugs, | 一种药物都困难 更别说多种药物了 |
[30:35] | and the reagents needed for long-term testing. | 还有长期检测所需的试剂 |
[30:37] | But then even if it could, it would have to provide long-term storage | 就算这能实现 也还需要在体温条件下 |
[30:41] | for those chemicals at body temperature and… | 长期保存这些化学物质 而且… |
[30:44] | Let’s just, let-let’s put all that aside. | 我们先不考虑这些 |
[30:47] | Let, let, let’s say that you were able to work out a way | 我们假设你最终能想出办法 |
[30:50] | to do any of that. | 解决这些问题 |
[30:52] | If you think that people want a patch | 如果人们会想要一个补片 |
[30:55] | to diagnose them and then put medicine | 来进行诊断 并且将药物 |
[30:59] | directly into their skin, | 直接注入皮肤 |
[31:00] | then you’ve never met a sick person before. | 说明你一点都不了解病人 |
[31:04] | People go to school for a very long time | 医学生要经过漫长的学习 |
[31:07] | to understand how to diagnose patients. | 来学会如何诊断病人的病情 |
[31:08] | You can’t get a diagnosis from a patch | 你无法通过一个补片获得诊断 |
[31:11] | because human beings aren’t machines. | 因为人类不是机器 |
[31:13] | But doctors make mistakes. | 但医生也会犯错 |
[31:15] | And this would be based on data, so… | 而且这个诊断会基于数据 所以… |
[31:18] | Well, data isn’t everything. | 数据不能说明所有问题 |
[31:20] | Um, people your age need to remember | 你们这个年纪的孩子要记住 |
[31:22] | that machines make mistakes too, | 机器也会犯错 |
[31:24] | especially when humans are operating them. | 特别是人为操作的机器 |
[31:26] | – Yeah, but… – It’s, it’s fine. | -是的 但… -这挺好的 |
[31:28] | It’s, nothing personal. | 并不是针对你 |
[31:30] | You had an idea, it’s not gonna work, | 你有一个想法 行不通 |
[31:32] | so you just, you keep learning. | 所以你只要 继续学习 |
[31:34] | Keep trying. | 继续尝试 |
[31:37] | I’m going to be heading home | 我要回家了 |
[31:39] | and, very nice to meet you. | 很高兴认识你 |
[31:43] | “Do or do not, | “要么去做 要么放手 |
[31:45] | there is no try.” | 没有尝试这一说” |
[31:47] | What? | 什么 |
[31:49] | That’s Yoda. | 是尤达大师说的 |
[31:50] | From Star Wars. | “星球大战”里的 |
[31:59] | Professor Gardner. | 加德纳教授 |
[32:01] | Wait, wait. | 等等 |
[32:03] | I just think that, | 我在想 |
[32:04] | I think that we can work together. | 我想我们可以合作 |
[32:07] | – Work together? – Yeah. | -合作 -是的 |
[32:08] | You’re, you’re a, what, freshman, sophomore? | 你是… 大一还是大二的 |
[32:11] | I just started my sophomore year. | 我刚上大二 |
[32:12] | So you’ve had a couple of classes, | 所以你上过几门课 |
[32:13] | maybe a seminar or two, | 参加过一两个研讨会 |
[32:15] | and now you think you know enough to start a company. | 你就觉得自己懂得够多了 能创业了 |
[32:18] | I just thought as a, as a woman, you… | 我只是觉得 作为女性 你… |
[32:20] | Well, as a woman, let me explain something to you. | 好吧 作为女性 让我告诉你一些道理 |
[32:22] | You don’t get to skip any steps. | 你不能想着一蹴而就 |
[32:26] | You have to do the work. | 你要踏踏实实工作 |
[32:28] | Your work, other people’s work. | 做好自己的工作 甚至别人的工作 |
[32:29] | You have to do so much work | 你要付出巨大的努力 |
[32:31] | that they have to admit that you did it and nobody helped you. | 才能让别人承认你是靠自己取得的成绩 |
[32:34] | You have to take away all their excuses. | 你要让他们找不出一个借口 |
[32:36] | And then if you get anything, | 然后如果你犯了一点 |
[32:37] | anything wrong, they’ll destroy you. | 任何一点错误 他们就会毁掉你 |
[32:40] | And they’ll be so happy to do it. | 他们再乐意不过了 |
[32:41] | So no, as a woman, I can’t help you right now. | 所以不行 作为女性 我现在不能帮你 |
[32:44] | And just… | 另外… |
[32:46] | One other thing, don’t ever quote Yoda | 还有一件事 别再对任何人 |
[32:49] | to anybody ever again. | 引用尤达说的话了 |
[32:51] | Science is trying. | 科学就是不断尝试 |
[32:53] | That’s all that it is. | 就这样 |
[32:55] | You only get to really do something | 你只有尝试了很久 |
[32:57] | when you’ve been trying for so long | 似乎已经没有什么可做了的时候 |
[32:59] | that doing doesn’t even seem possible anymore. | 才能真正做成点什么 |
[33:01] | So science is real. | 科学是真实的 |
[33:02] | Yoda is a fictional green character | 尤达只是个虚构的绿皮肤角色 |
[33:05] | who apparently know everything in the universe | 他了解宇宙万物 |
[33:08] | except for syntax and grammar. | 却不通语法 |
[33:11] | So I’m sorry your idea’s impossible, | 我很抱歉 你的想法是不可行的 |
[33:13] | but that’s the way the world works. | 但世界就是这样 |
[33:15] | The world works in certain ways | 世界总是墨守成规 |
[33:16] | until a great idea comes along | 直到伟大的想法出现 |
[33:20] | and, and changes everything. | 进而改变了一切 |
[33:22] | Okay, I’m gonna, I’m gonna go now. | 好了 我得走了 |
[33:24] | My husband’s waiting for me with a glass of red wine | 我丈夫在等我一起喝杯红酒 |
[33:27] | and a foot massage | 做个脚底按摩 |
[33:28] | and a DVD of My Big Fat Greek Wedding | 然后看”我盛大的希腊婚礼” |
[33:31] | which came in the mail today. | 影碟今天才寄到 |
[33:32] | So I suggest | 所以我建议 |
[33:33] | you find a version of that for yourself. | 你也找找属于自己的生活 |
[33:37] | You’re 19. | 你才19岁 |
[33:39] | You don’t have to be anything else right now. | 现在没必要去做其他的事情 |
[34:01] | What do we have here? | 有什么发现 |
[34:04] | Wow, that’s alive. | 活着的 |
[34:07] | Yep. | 是的 |
[34:09] | You are gonna come up with a new thing. | 你会想出新点子的 |
[34:14] | Should I just stop? What should I do? | 我该就这么放弃吗 我该怎么做 |
[34:17] | Well, you could, I don’t know, like, | 你可以… 怎么说 |
[34:21] | try being a sophomore in college for a night. | 试着当一晚普通的大二生 |
[34:23] | That might be fun. | 会很有趣的 |
[34:25] | You like acapella? | 你喜欢无伴奏合唱吗 |
[34:27] | You ever heard Don’t Stop Believing in 12-part harmony? | 你有听过12部和声的”一定要相信”吗 |
[34:32] | It’s fun. | 很有意思 |
[34:42] | That’s so funny! | 太有意思了 |
[34:47] | Hey. | 你好 |
[34:51] | How are you guys? | 你们好 |
[34:53] | My god, that’s hilarious. | 天啊 太搞笑了 |
[34:57] | My god, that’s hilarious. | 天啊 太搞笑了 |
[34:59] | That’s the best joke ever. | 这是我听过最搞笑的笑话 |
[35:01] | That’s so funny. | 太有趣了 |
[35:02] | I’m having so much fun. | 我玩得很开心 |
[35:18] | Ms. Holmes. Ms. Holmes. | 霍姆斯女士 霍姆斯女士 |
[35:21] | Please answer the question. | 请回答这个问题 |
[35:23] | I… don’t remember specifically. | 我… 记不太清了 |
[35:27] | You were the CEO. | 你是首席执行官 |
[35:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:31] | And you don’t remember specifically? | 可你记不太清了 |
[35:33] | I, I don’t… | 我… 我不… |
[35:36] | No, I don’t recall details from years ago. | 是的 时间太久了 我记不清了 |
[35:38] | I, I, I… | 我… |
[35:41] | I don’t recall. | 我不记得了 |
[35:57] | Ms. Holmes. | 霍姆斯女士 |
[36:01] | Ms. Holmes. | 霍姆斯女士 |
[36:03] | Do you need a break? | 你需要休息一下吗 |
[36:04] | No. | 不用 |
[36:10] | What’s wrong with her? | 她怎么了 |
[36:12] | Did something happen? | 出什么事了吗 |
[36:13] | At the party. | 在派对上 |
[36:15] | I think a guy did something to her. | 好像有个男的对她做了什么 |
[36:17] | I don’t know the whole story, but she went to the police. | 我也不是很清楚 但她去了警局报警 |
[36:20] | The police. | 警局 |
[36:21] | She said it was rape. | 她说是强奸 |
[36:22] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[36:25] | Do you believe her? | 你相信她吗 |
[36:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[36:28] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[36:47] | Hello. | 喂 |
[36:48] | Hey, where have you been? | 你上哪去了 |
[36:50] | I tried calling you for a few days. | 我给你打了好几天的电话 |
[36:52] | I’ve been busy. | 我一直在忙 |
[36:53] | I miss you. | 我很想你 |
[36:55] | You know how much I miss you when I don’t talk to you. | 你知道我没和你说上话时 有多想你吗 |
[36:57] | Do you know how weird that is that you would say that to me? | 你知道你对我说这话有多奇怪吗 |
[37:01] | I’m 19. | 我19岁 |
[37:04] | I’m 19. | 我才19岁 |
[37:08] | You should talk to somebody your own age. | 你该对和你年龄相仿的人说这话 |
[37:12] | That’s what you want? | 你真是这么想的 |
[37:15] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[37:17] | Yes. | 没错 |
[37:21] | This is fucking weird. | 太他妈奇怪了 |
[37:25] | Don’t call me again. | 别再打给我了 |
[37:58] | Ms. Holmes. | 霍姆斯女士 |
[37:59] | They’re ready for you. | 你可以进来了 |
[38:16] | What did they say? | 他们怎么说 |
[38:18] | They aren’t recommending any disciplinary action. | 他们没有提出任何处罚措施 |
[38:20] | I know that. | 我知道 |
[38:22] | But what did they say? | 但他们说了什么 |
[38:25] | It’s my word against his. | 我和他的证词相反 |
[38:29] | They don’t believe me. | 他们不相信我 |
[38:33] | I can’t get anyone to believe me. | 没有人相信我 |
[38:44] | I ca… I can’t get the smell out. | 我… 我擦不掉这气味 |
[38:46] | I think we should just throw it out. | 扔了算了 |
[38:49] | My god! | 我的天 |
[38:51] | This is dangerous. This could hurt you. | 太危险了 被电到怎么办 |
[38:53] | We should get rid of it. | 丢了吧 |
[38:57] | I need your help. | 来搭把手 |
[39:01] | Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[39:03] | Get under it. | 扶好底下 |
[39:05] | – Yeah. Come on. – Wait, wait, wait. | -加把劲 -等等 等一下 |
[39:08] | Mom, I have to put it down. I have to put it down. | 妈 我抬不动了 先放一下 |
[39:10] | Alright. Slowly, slowly, slowly. | 好吧 慢点 慢点 |
[39:12] | Go. Okay. | 离手 好了 |
[39:15] | I don’t want to do this right now. I… | 我现在不想抬这破冰箱 我… |
[39:17] | Elizabeth. | 伊丽莎白 |
[39:18] | No, just go back to the hotel. I don’t… leave me alone. | 别说了 回酒店去吧 我不… 让我静静 |
[39:20] | I believe you. | 我相信你 |
[39:23] | I believe you. I believe everything you said. | 我相信你说的一切 |
[39:33] | But I, I didn’t… | 可是我… |
[39:34] | You told me to be careful, and I didn’t listen to you. | 你劝我要小心 可我没听 |
[39:36] | I was drinking. | 我喝酒了 |
[39:38] | Men will… take | 男人都会… 不停地 |
[39:42] | and… take from you. | 不停地… 剥削女人 |
[39:46] | So you have to decide right now | 你现在要做决定了 |
[39:50] | if you are going to let that stop you. | 要不要因为一次受伤就退缩 |
[39:55] | – But how… – You just put it away | -那要怎么… -放一边就好 |
[39:57] | and forget it. | 忘记它 |
[39:59] | And | 然后 |
[40:03] | then one day, | 有一天 |
[40:05] | one day, you’ll just be fine again. | 某一天 就想开了 |
[40:12] | Come on. This thing smells awful. | 来吧 这东西熏死我了 |
[40:16] | Okay. | 好 |
[40:17] | Great. Okay. | 好的 |
[40:20] | And one, two, three! | 一 二 三 |
[40:37] | I love you. | 我爱你 |
[40:43] | We should wash our hands. | 洗手去吧 |
[42:27] | – You’re back. – I’m back. | -你回来了 -我回来了 |
[42:30] | It’s a redesign. | 新设计 |
[42:33] | It’s a box the size of an iPod. | 便携播放器大小 |
[42:36] | And it doesn’t administer medicine, | 不是用于管理配药 |
[42:38] | it tests your blood. | 而是用来验血 |
[42:40] | What if you could test your blood | 要是能够在家里 |
[42:43] | in your own home? | 自己验血 |
[42:46] | And what if it’s not a whole vial | 要是只需一滴血 |
[42:49] | but just a drop? | 而不是整瓶 |
[42:51] | It would always be with you. | 它可以随身携带 |
[42:55] | And it… could keep you safe. | 能… 保证你的安全 |
[43:43] | So Channing wants us to begin the research phase | 钱宁希望我们开始研究 |
[43:45] | as soon as possible. | 越快越好 |
[43:46] | We’re renting office space in east Palo Alto. | 我们在帕洛阿托城东租了办公室 |
[43:49] | But isn’t that the part of the city | 可他们不是在迎新会的时候 |
[43:50] | they told you not to go to during orientation? | 告诉你们不要去那一片吗 |
[43:53] | – Yeah, it’s dangerous. – Yeah. | -对 好危险 -是 |
[43:54] | I got lost there during the move in | 刚搬来的时候差点在那儿迷路 |
[43:56] | when you sent me to the Urban Outfitters. | 就你让我去”都市时装”那次 |
[43:58] | We can’t afford anything else right now. | 我们现在拿不出钱来租房子 |
[44:02] | And I wanted to ask you if you would consider | 所以我请您二位考虑一下 |
[44:06] | investing my tuition money into the company. | 把我的学费用来投资公司 |
[44:11] | Well, how would we pay for your tuition? | 那你的学费怎么办 |
[44:13] | Well, you won’t have to, | 不用交了 |
[44:14] | because I’m, I’m going to drop out. | 我准备辍学 |
[44:18] | – You’re gonna do what? – No. No! | -你要干嘛 -不 不行 |
[44:20] | Steve Jobs dropped out. Bill Gates dropped out. | 史蒂夫·乔布斯 比尔·盖茨都辍学了 |
[44:23] | Michael Dell, Paul Allen, Elon Musk… | 还有迈克尔·戴尔 保罗·艾伦 埃隆·马斯克… |
[44:25] | Who’s Paul Allen? | 保罗·艾伦是谁 |
[44:26] | – He’s the other Microsoft guy. – I don’t care. | -微软的另一个创始人 -我管他是谁 |
[44:28] | You’re not dropping out of Stanford. | 你不能从斯坦福退学 |
[44:29] | Start a company after you’ve graduated. | 毕业之后再去创业吧 |
[44:31] | No. I, I don’t even go to class anymore… | 不 我现在根本就不去上课… |
[44:33] | Wait, you don’t go to class? | 什么 居然不去上课 |
[44:36] | Elizabeth, is this about what happened? | 伊丽莎白 是因为那件事吗 |
[44:38] | – Noel. – No. | -诺埃尔 -不是 |
[44:40] | No. | 不是 |
[44:53] | What does this thing even do? | 这东西是干嘛用的 |
[44:55] | It… tests your blood? | 用来… 验血吗 |
[44:58] | It’s… | 它… |
[45:01] | Mom, you would never have to have a needle ever again. | 妈 有了它就不再需要针头了 |
[45:17] | I don’t understand you… | 我真的不理解… |
[45:21] | I know. | 我知道 |
[45:26] | Guess what? | 听说了吗 |
[45:27] | Elizabeth Holmes dropped out of Stanford. | 伊丽莎白·霍姆斯从斯坦福辍学了 |
[45:30] | And get this, she invented a medical device. | 重点是 她发明了一种医疗装置 |
[45:32] | Some sort of blood testing thing. | 能验血还是怎么 |
[45:34] | A professor from Stanford is helping her. | 斯坦福有个博士跟她搭伙 |
[45:36] | They already raised a lot of money. | 已经筹到不少钱了 |
[45:38] | – She didn’t call for my advice. – What do you mean? | -她怎么没问我的建议 -什么意思 |
[45:41] | She’s going to be doing the exact same thing that I’m doing. | 她是要跟我做一模一样的事 |
[45:45] | She doesn’t call me? | 都不给我打电话吗 |
[45:46] | She’s a kid. | 她还小呢 |
[45:48] | She probably doesn’t have our phone number. | 可能连我们电话都没有 |
[45:50] | No. | 不对 |
[45:53] | ‘Cause they all think they’re better than us. | 因为他们觉得自己比我们强 |
[45:55] | That whole family. | 他们一家都是 |
[45:57] | Anyway, Mrs. Holmes said that… | 总之 霍姆斯夫人说… |
[45:59] | Why do you call her Mrs. Holmes? | 为什么叫她霍姆斯夫人 |
[46:01] | She calls you Lorraine. | 她叫你洛琳 |
[46:04] | Why do you call her Mrs. Holmes? | 你为什么叫她霍姆斯夫人 |
[46:07] | I never thought about it. | 我没细想 |
[46:19] | She should have called me. | 她该告诉我的 |
[46:21] | Don’t make a big thing of it. | 别想太多了 |
[46:23] | I’m not. | 我没有 |
[46:27] | I just think that she should have called me. | 我就是觉得她应该告诉我 |
[47:11] | What happened? | 怎么了 |
[47:13] | Was someone shooting at you? | 有人开枪打你吗 |
[47:16] | No. | 不是 |
[47:17] | It was a stray bullet. | 应该是流弹 |
[47:19] | There was a fight, I think. | 我猜是有人打起来了 |
[47:23] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢你来看我 |
[47:29] | Why did you call me? | 为什么找我 |
[47:31] | You told me never to talk to you again. | 你让我不要再跟你说话 |
[47:39] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[47:41] | Yes, you do. Why am I here? | 你知道 为什么叫我来 |
[47:45] | Why am I here? | 叫我来干什么 |
[48:01] | You can’t push me away again. | 你不要再推开我了 |
[48:06] | I’m going to protect you. | 我会保护你 |
[48:15] | I know. | 我知道 |
[48:18] | Do you ever recall telling anyone, | 您曾否告知任何人 |
[48:20] | your patients, your investors, your board, | 患者 投资人 董事会等 |
[48:22] | that in fact none of the technology you claimed to have invented | 自称发明的技术在事实上 |
[48:25] | was operational? | 没有可操作性 |
[48:27] | And that the results they received were often inaccurate? | 且他们收到的结果经常不准确 |
[48:30] | Do you recall telling any of these people | 您曾否告知过他们 |
[48:32] | that your company was endangering their lives | 贵公司因为提供了错误的信息 |
[48:34] | by giving them false information about their health? | 会对他们的身体健康造成危害 |
[48:40] | I know that we made | 我知道 我们犯了 |
[48:43] | so many mistakes, | 很多错误 |
[48:44] | but we were, | 但是 |
[48:47] | we were trying to, to, to take this forward | 我们是想尝试 推进产品 |
[48:50] | and at that time | 那个时候 |
[48:52] | we thought that we were doing the right thing. | 我们认为这样做是正确的 |