时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:43] | Aurora Fane is organizing another charity? | 奥萝拉·费恩在组织另一次慈善活动吗 |
[01:46] | She must be a glutton for punishment | 上次之后还要办 她一定是 |
[01:48] | after the last time. | 受虐狂 |
[01:50] | You say that, but the bazaar made over $2,000, | 说是这么说 但那次义卖筹到了两千多美元 |
[01:52] | which no one’s ever heard of. | 简直闻所未闻 |
[01:54] | She and Anne Morris were a laughingstock. | 她和安妮·莫里斯就是个笑柄 |
[01:57] | This is interesting. | 有意思 |
[01:59] | Do you know a woman called Clara Barton? | 你知道一位叫克拉拉·巴顿的女士吗 |
[02:02] | – No. – Excuse me. | -不知道 -打扰一下 |
[02:04] | What is it, Miss Scott? | 什么事 斯科特小姐 |
[02:05] | Just a letter for you to sign. | 有封信需要你签名 |
[02:06] | But I’d like to get it into the post before luncheon. | 我想在午餐前把它寄出去 |
[02:09] | Quite right. | 很好 |
[02:09] | Miss Barton has started a branch of the Red Cross | 巴顿小姐开始在美国筹办 |
[02:12] | in the United States. | 红十字会的分会了 |
[02:13] | She’s giving a talk at Aurora’s house. | 她要在奥萝拉家演讲 |
[02:15] | I’d like to hear Miss Barton. | 我想听巴顿小姐演讲 |
[02:17] | – May I come with you? – Of course. | -我能跟你一起去吗 -当然 |
[02:19] | Thank you, Miss Scott. | 谢谢你 斯科特小姐 |
[02:21] | Oh, look. | 看啊 |
[02:23] | Miss Russell is going out. | 罗素小姐出门了 |
[02:25] | With her wretched governess. | 和她那个烦人的家庭教师 |
[02:26] | How can she stand it? | 她怎么能受得了 |
[02:27] | I will not criticize Mrs. Russell | 我不会谴责罗素夫人 |
[02:29] | for her only virtue. | 仅有的美德 |
[02:31] | At least she keeps her daughter under control. | 至少她能控制住她女儿 |
[02:33] | Under arrest, more like. | 更像是把女儿当成囚犯 |
[02:36] | I wonder why her mother | 我不知道为什么 |
[02:37] | hasn’t brought her out properly yet. | 她母亲还没有让她正式亮相 |
[02:39] | Because Mrs. Russell is not sure | 因为罗素夫人还不确定 |
[02:41] | she can fill the ballroom. | 她的倾慕者是否能把舞厅填满 |
[02:44] | You see? | 看到了吗 |
[02:45] | I know more about these things than you give me credit for. | 我对这种事的了解比你们想像的要多 |
[02:49] | You know I’d lose my job if your mother even suspects. | 你知道如果你母亲怀疑我 我就会失业 |
[02:52] | I know you’ll lose your job if she finds out | 我知道如果她发现 |
[02:53] | you’ve been taking brandy from the dining room. | 你从餐厅里偷白兰地 你就会失业 |
[02:55] | It was purely medicinal. | 这纯粹是药用的 |
[02:58] | Who is this young man anyway? | 不管怎样 这个年轻人是谁 |
[02:59] | Archie Baldwin. | 阿奇·鲍德温 |
[03:01] | He’s very respectable. | 他很值得尊敬 |
[03:03] | His grandfather was an ambassador. | 他祖父是位大使 |
[03:04] | His father is a banker, and so is he. | 他父亲是银行家 他也是 |
[03:06] | His mother’s people came over on the “Mayflower.” | 他母亲那边的亲戚是乘五月花号来的 |
[03:08] | Hmm, if everyone who claimed | 如果所有声称 |
[03:09] | to be on the “Mayflower” really was, | 自己乘过五月花号的人说的都是真话 |
[03:11] | it would have to be the size of a White Star liner. | 那它一定跟白星航运公司的船一样大 |
[03:13] | Where does he live? | 他住在哪里 |
[03:15] | 35th Street. | 35街 |
[03:16] | And his parents are building a summer home at Newport. | 而且他父母正在纽波特建造避暑别墅 |
[03:18] | Well, why not just introduce him to your mother? | 那为什么不直接把他介绍给你母亲 |
[03:20] | – He sounds ideal. – It’s not as simple as that. | -他听着不错 -没那么简单 |
[03:23] | Here we are. | 我们到了 |
[03:29] | Mr. Pasture’s opening a magic lantern show | 帕斯彻先生要在他百老汇的剧院里 |
[03:31] | in his theater on Broadway. | 办一场魔术灯光表演 |
[03:34] | It starts this Friday. | 这周五开始 |
[03:35] | Fancy. | 有意思 |
[03:36] | Would you like to see it on your night off? | 你想在休假的那晚去看吗 |
[03:38] | What, all alone? | 什么 我一个人去吗 |
[03:39] | That could be my free night too. | 那晚我也可以休假 |
[03:41] | Mr. Bannister wouldn’t mind, | 如果那晚我们不招待客人 |
[03:42] | not if we aren’t entertaining. | 班尼斯特先生就不会介意 |
[03:44] | I’ll have to think. | 我得考虑一下 |
[03:45] | Don’t think too long. It’s only running a week. | 别考虑太久 这个表演只办一周 |
[03:48] | Go on. You might enjoy it. | 去吧 也许你会喜欢 |
[03:50] | Mr. Bannister, you wouldn’t mind, would you, | 班尼斯特先生 你不介意 对吗 |
[03:52] | if Bridget and I had the same free night this week? | 如果这周布丽姬特和我同一个晚上休假 |
[03:54] | I would have to serve dinner alone. | 那我就得一个人上晚餐了 |
[03:56] | But you do that when I have a free evening anyway. | 但只要我晚上休假你就得一个人上晚餐 |
[03:58] | Today’s young live for pleasure. | 现在的年轻人真会享受生活 |
[04:00] | You don’t know what hard work is. | 你们不知道什么是辛勤工作 |
[04:02] | And we don’t know what fun is. | 而我们不知道什么是享乐 |
[04:04] | What–what about Friday? | 星期五行吗 |
[04:05] | I’d be very grateful. So would Bridget. | 我会感激不尽的 布丽姬特也是 |
[04:07] | I haven’t said I’ll go yet. | 我还没答应去呢 |
[04:09] | But you know you want to. | 但你知道你想去 |
[04:16] | I thought you’d gone hours ago. | 我以为你几小时前就走了 |
[04:18] | I wanted to finish some letters. | 我想写完几封信 |
[04:20] | Is everything set with the new station? | 新火车站已经一切就绪了吗 |
[04:22] | The bill’s been passed. | 法案已经通过了 |
[04:23] | And the stocks are high? | 股价高吗 |
[04:24] | As high as the sky. | 比天还高 |
[04:26] | Then what’s this about? | 那这是怎么回事 |
[04:29] | What do they mean, there’s a rumor that the law | 他们什么意思 有传言说 |
[04:30] | – may be rescinded? – Let me see that. | -法案可能会被撤销 -让我看看 |
[04:32] | If it’s canceled, will the station go ahead anyway? | 如果法案被撤销了 车站还能继续建造吗 |
[04:37] | No, it can’t. | 不能 |
[04:40] | Where’s Gladys? | 格拉迪斯去哪了 |
[04:42] | She went out with Miss Grant. Why? | 她跟格兰特小姐出去了 怎么了 |
[04:44] | It isn’t right, you know. | 这样不对 |
[04:46] | Miss Grant may be nice, but she’s a jailer. | 格兰特小姐也许人不错 但她就是个狱卒 |
[04:49] | And Gladys is a grown woman whether you like it or not. | 不管你喜不喜欢 格拉迪斯都成年了 |
[04:52] | – Girls get married at her age. – And live to regret it. | -她这个年纪的女孩该结婚了 -然后悔恨终身 |
[04:55] | I know what I’m doing, George. | 我心里有数 乔治 |
[04:59] | I should go. | 我该走了 |
[05:04] | Were you expecting that? | 你料到会发生这种事吗 |
[05:05] | No. | 没有 |
[05:09] | But it doesn’t surprise me. | 但我也不觉得意外 |
[05:14] | What are you trying to tell me? | 你想告诉我什么 |
[05:16] | There’s no need to talk as if I were your chauffeur. | 你没必要用跟车夫说话的语气跟我说话 |
[05:18] | When I’ve finished, you’ll wish you were my chauffeur. | 等我说完 你会希望你是我的车夫 |
[05:21] | You summoned me here. | 是你叫我来的 |
[05:22] | You came because if you had not, | 你来是因为如果你不来 |
[05:24] | I would have turned up at your place of business | 我就会出现在你的办公室 |
[05:26] | and shouted the truth to anyone who’d listen, | 向所有想听的人大声说出真相 |
[05:28] | that the aldermen are liars | 市参议员是骗子 |
[05:30] | and you have reneged on your deal. | 你言而无信 |
[05:31] | I’ve come to your office at your request | 我应你的要求 来你的办公室 |
[05:33] | to show goodwill, Mr. Russell. | 是为了表示我的诚意 罗素先生 |
[05:35] | I will not stay and be insulted. | 我不会留在这被你侮辱 |
[05:38] | But I agree. | 但我同意 |
[05:39] | It is time you knew public opinion has moved away | 你该知道民意已经 |
[05:42] | from your position. | 不站在你这边了 |
[05:44] | In other words, | 换句话说 |
[05:46] | you all bought shares on margin, | 你们都用保证金买入股票 |
[05:48] | passed the law, and made a fat profit. | 法案通过后 大赚了一笔 |
[05:50] | Now I imagine you’ve sold them short. | 我想你们现在已把股票全都抛空了 |
[05:51] | And you mean to cancel your own law, | 你们故意撤消自己的法案 |
[05:53] | betting that the value will plummet. | 赌定股价会暴跌 |
[05:54] | Then you’ll buy them again when they hit rock bottom | 让后当股价触底时再买回来 |
[05:56] | and in the process double or triple your ill-gotten gains. | 在此过程中 将你们的不义之财翻两至三倍 |
[05:59] | That is pure speculation. | 这纯属无端揣测 |
[06:01] | I don’t even know if we will cancel the law. | 我甚至不知道我们会撤销该法案 |
[06:05] | But the idea of having a new rail station in the city | 但在城里建座新火车站的想法 |
[06:11] | isn’t as popular as we’d hoped it might be. | 没有我们希望的那样收到大众欢迎 |
[06:15] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[06:16] | So you’re really only concerned with the common good. | 你们真的只关心公共利益 |
[06:18] | The aldermen are public servants. | 参议员是公仆 |
[06:20] | We must serve the public. | 我们必须为公众服务 |
[06:26] | I didn’t see this coming. | 我没想到会这样 |
[06:28] | I admit it. | 我承认 |
[06:30] | I thought you were honorable men. | 我以为你们是体面人 |
[06:32] | Not too honorable to miss the chance of a fat buck, of course, | 当然 没体面到会错失大赚一笔的机会 |
[06:35] | but not greedy, dirty thieves. | 而不是一群贪婪肮脏的贼 |
[06:36] | Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生 |
[06:37] | I thought I was the one who might throw a curveball. | 我以为我才是那个会使诈的人 |
[06:40] | And now look. | 现在看来 |
[06:42] | You’ve caught me out. | 你们早已设下陷阱等我 |
[06:46] | Good day to you, Mr. Russell. | 再见 罗素先生 |
[06:49] | Good day to you, Mr. Morris. | 再见 莫里斯先生 |
[06:58] | It only remains to say | 最后 我想说 |
[06:59] | that I hope you can see, as I can, | 希望你们能和我一样 |
[07:02] | the vast possibilities for building | 相信我们很有可能建立 |
[07:05] | one of the grandest humanitarian institutions | 世界上有史以来最伟大的 |
[07:08] | the world has ever seen | 人道主义机构 |
[07:09] | for the relief of people everywhere. | 以救援世界各地的人们 |
[07:15] | Miss Barton, | 巴顿小姐 |
[07:17] | if President Hayes declined to support the establishment | 如果海斯总统之前拒绝支持 |
[07:20] | of an American Red Cross | 设立美国红十字会 |
[07:22] | and President Garfield never managed to sign either, | 加菲尔德总统也拒绝签字 |
[07:25] | what makes you think you can find support now? | 你凭什么认为你现在能得到支持 |
[07:27] | I’m afraid unfortunate events have altered things in Washington. | 恐怕一系列不幸事件已改变了华盛顿的局面 |
[07:31] | And President Arthur may be more enthusiastic? | 而且亚瑟总统可能更支持 对吗 |
[07:34] | I have reason to believe so, yes. | 有理由这样认为 是的 |
[07:38] | This has been an introduction only. | 这只是基本介绍 |
[07:41] | Who’s that man? | 那个人是谁 |
[07:41] | And I thank you for your courtesy. | 感谢你们耐心聆听 |
[07:43] | If you would like to know more, then please keep in touch. | 如果想了解更多 请与我联系 |
[07:50] | Our thanks to Miss Barton, | 感谢巴顿小姐 |
[07:52] | our very own angel of the battlefield. | 我们的战地天使 |
[07:55] | She has already achieved a great deal. | 她已有卓越的成就 |
[07:57] | And now at the head of the American Red Cross, | 如今作为美国红十字会的负责人 |
[07:59] | she is destined to do a great deal more. | 她注定会取得更多成就 |
[08:10] | Might I present myself? | 我能自我介绍一下吗 |
[08:11] | You are Miss Brook, I think. Miss Ada Brook? | 我想你是布鲁克小姐 艾达·布鲁克小姐吗 |
[08:14] | I am. And this is my niece, Miss Marian Brook. | 是的 这是我侄女玛丽安·布鲁克小姐 |
[08:17] | I am Cornelius Eckhard III. | 我是科尼利厄斯·埃克哈德三世 |
[08:20] | I thought it was you. | 我刚才就觉得是你 |
[08:22] | I’m afraid it’s been too many years for me to call you Ada? | 我已有多年没叫过你的名字了 艾达 |
[08:26] | But this is too touching. | 但这太感人了 |
[08:28] | Oh, not really. | 不是这样的 |
[08:29] | We knew each other when we were young in Pennsylvania. | 我们年轻时在宾夕法尼亚州就认识 |
[08:33] | Before life drove us to the four corners of the Earth. | 在生活让我们各奔东西之前 |
[08:36] | Have you been in New York for long? | 你在纽约住很久了吗 |
[08:38] | No, I settled in Connecticut. | 没有 我住在康涅狄格州 |
[08:41] | But now I have nothing to hold me there. | 但现在 我在那里已没任何羁绊 |
[08:43] | So I came to the city. | 所以我来到了纽约 |
[08:46] | What brings you to this gathering? | 你为什么来这个集会 |
[08:47] | An interest in the Red Cross? | 是对红十字会感兴趣吗 |
[08:49] | Not entirely. Mrs. Morris is my niece. | 并不完全是 莫里斯夫人是我外甥女 |
[08:53] | And when she said you’d be here, | 当她说你会来这里时 |
[08:55] | I was tempted to see if we might revive an old friendship. | 我想看看是否能重新唤起我们昔日的友情 |
[08:59] | Not very old, surely. | 看来并不是太昔日 |
[09:01] | How is your sister? | 你姐姐怎么样 |
[09:03] | What–what is she called now? | 她现在怎么称呼 |
[09:05] | She married Mr. Van Rhijn almost 40 years ago. | 她在大概四十年前嫁给了范莱茵先生 |
[09:10] | Please give her my regards. | 请代我向她问好 |
[09:12] | He must call on us and give them himself, | 他必须来拜访我们 亲自问好 |
[09:14] | mustn’t he, Aunt Ada? | 对吧 艾达姑姑 |
[09:18] | Ladies. | 再会 女士们 |
[09:23] | Can we persuade you to the cause? | 我们能请你参加慈善活动吗 |
[09:25] | I am persuaded, but, once again, | 我会参加 但还是那句话 |
[09:28] | if it’s money Miss Barton needs, | 如果巴顿小姐需要钱 |
[09:29] | why don’t we ask Mrs. Russell? | 我们为什么不邀请罗素夫人呢 |
[09:31] | Don’t speak that name. | 别提那个名字 |
[09:32] | Perhaps not when Mrs. Astor’s in the room. | 阿斯特夫人在屋里时不要提 |
[09:36] | Mr. Morris tells me | 莫里斯先生告诉我 |
[09:37] | Mr. Russell has insulted him disgracefully. | 罗素先生可耻地羞辱了他 |
[09:40] | What? Why? | 什么 为什么 |
[09:41] | Why? Because he is not a gentleman, my dear, | 为什么 因为他不是位绅士 亲爱的 |
[09:44] | as I keep telling you. | 正如我一直告诉你的那样 |
[09:50] | There may be another side to it. | 事情也许有另一面 |
[09:53] | You are too reasonable to live. | 你也太通情达理了 |
[09:56] | Now I must see to my guests. | 我必须去照顾客人了 |
[10:00] | But how will they make money when the stock falls? | 但股价下跌他们怎么挣钱 |
[10:02] | Trust me, they will. | 相信我 他们会的 |
[10:04] | And when they have fallen, they’ll buy them again, | 股价下跌后 他们会再次买入 |
[10:06] | repass the law, make a third fortune, | 重新通过法案 第三次大捞一笔 |
[10:08] | and steal my company. | 并且偷走我的公司 |
[10:10] | I blame myself. | 我很自责 |
[10:12] | My guard was down. | 我放松了警惕 |
[10:13] | – Can’t you fight it? – Not in court. | -你不能反抗吗 -在法庭上不行 |
[10:15] | It’s not illegal. | 这不合法 |
[10:16] | There must be other ways. | 一定有其他办法 |
[10:18] | If I do, I will have to put a large part of our capital at risk. | 如果我这么做 我们的大部分资产都将有风险 |
[10:21] | Very well. | 那就这样吧 |
[10:22] | You understand what I’m saying? | 你明白我在说什么吗 |
[10:26] | All this may be lost. | 我们可能失去这一切 |
[10:28] | You’ve made it once. | 这都是你赚来的 |
[10:30] | You can make it again if you have to. | 你想的话还可以再赚回来 |
[10:36] | There are moments, my dear, | 有些时候 亲爱的 |
[10:39] | when you are quite marvelous. | 你真令人叹为观止 |
[10:42] | Useless, each without the other. | 没有彼此欣赏的话 也毫无价值 |
[10:51] | Are you going up to change? | 你要上楼换衣服吗 |
[10:53] | I am. And so should you. | 是啊 你也该去换衣服了 |
[10:56] | The thing is, I have a favor to ask. | 是这样 我想请你帮个忙 |
[10:58] | You mean you want something | 你是说你想做什么 |
[11:00] | and you haven’t asked your mother. | 却没问过你母亲 |
[11:03] | I do remember the Eckhards. | 我的确记得埃克哈德一家 |
[11:05] | There were two boys and a girl. | 他们家有两个男孩和一个女孩 |
[11:06] | I seem to recall they sold up | 我似乎记得他们 |
[11:08] | not long after I’d left for New York. | 在我来纽约后不久变卖了家产 |
[11:10] | He talked like an old beau. | 他说话听起来像个旧相识 |
[11:12] | Well, you know, I was just a girl. | 不过我当时就只是个小女孩 |
[11:15] | Anyway, Eckhard had no money, | 不管怎么说 埃克哈德没有钱 |
[11:17] | which did not endear him to Papa. | 所以爸爸不喜欢他 |
[11:19] | No money and no prospects. | 没有钱 也没有前途 |
[11:21] | I’m afraid not. | 恐怕是这样 |
[11:23] | I wonder what he wants now. | 真不知他现在想干什么 |
[11:24] | He’s lonely. | 他很孤独 |
[11:25] | He’s just arrived in the city, | 他刚到这个城市 |
[11:27] | and he hopes to find some old friends. | 所以他希望找到一些老朋友 |
[11:29] | So all this time, he’s dreamed of seeing Ada again? | 所以一直以来 他都期盼再见到艾达吗 |
[11:31] | There’s no need to be unkind. | 没必要这么刻薄 |
[11:33] | Maybe he has dreamed of seeing Aunt Ada. | 也许他是真的想见艾达姑姑 |
[11:35] | What’s wrong with that? | 这有什么不对呢 |
[11:36] | Oscar, dear, I didn’t expect you. | 奥斯卡 亲爱的 没想到你会回来 |
[11:38] | Oh, I’m dining with Larry Russell. | 我要和拉里·罗素一起吃晚餐 |
[11:40] | Where? | 在哪 |
[11:41] | At his parents’ house, of course. | 当然是在他父母家 |
[11:43] | When you say those words, you stab me in the side. | 你说这些话时 就像在对我捅刀子 |
[11:46] | Then it’s lucky you have the skin of a rhinoceros. | 那真是万幸 你的皮像犀牛一样厚 |
[11:51] | Shall we go up and get changed, dear? | 我们上楼换衣服吧 亲爱的 |
[11:55] | When will your mistress be down? | 你的女主人什么时候下楼 |
[11:56] | In a moment, sir. | 马上了 老爷 |
[12:01] | Is there something else? | 还有什么事吗 |
[12:03] | Only that Madam seemed to suggest | 就是夫人似乎认为 |
[12:05] | this is an important time for you. | 这对您来说是个重要时刻 |
[12:07] | Did she? | 是吗 |
[12:09] | Well, I suppose it is. | 我想是吧 |
[12:11] | I just want you to know that | 我只是想让您知道 |
[12:12] | we are all very much on your side. | 我们都非常支持您 |
[12:16] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:25] | Were you always drawn to banking? | 你向来都对银行业感兴趣吗 |
[12:28] | That didn’t come into it. | 本来没什么兴趣的 |
[12:29] | The United Manhattan Trust was founded in 1797 | 美国曼哈顿信托是于1797年 |
[12:33] | by Arnold van Rhijn, among others. | 由阿诺德·范莱茵与其他人一同创立 |
[12:36] | We’ve been at it ever since. | 从那之后我们就一直在运作这个信托了 |
[12:37] | I see. What a wonderful tradition. | 我明白了 真是个了不起的传统 |
[12:39] | So you don’t have to waste your time | 这样你就不用浪费时间 |
[12:40] | worrying about what you want to do. | 去考虑你想做什么了 |
[12:42] | It’s already decided. | 已经决定好了 |
[12:43] | Mr. Van Rhijn is only being modest. | 范莱茵先生只是在谦虚罢了 |
[12:45] | No, I’m not. | 不 我没有 |
[12:46] | Can we talk about Archie Baldwin? | 我们能说说阿奇·鲍德温吗 |
[12:49] | It would be very dull for Mr. Van Rhijn. | 这话题对范莱茵先生来说会很无聊 |
[12:51] | I don’t mind. | 我不介意 |
[12:52] | I know Archie. His aunt is my godmother. | 我认识阿奇 他阿姨是我的教母 |
[12:56] | But isn’t he, uh, a little young for you? | 但他…对你来说不会太年轻了点吗 |
[13:00] | He’s just a friend. | 他只是个朋友 |
[13:01] | But father wants to ask him to dine. | 不过父亲想请他来吃晚餐 |
[13:03] | – What? – I said I had no objection. | -什么 -我说的是我不反对 |
[13:06] | But she had to get your permission. | 但她得征求你的同意 |
[13:08] | I will decide who comes to dinner in this house. | 我来决定谁能来这个家里吃饭 |
[13:11] | He’s quite respectable. | 他是个很体面的人 |
[13:12] | A forebear on his mother’s side | 他母亲那支的祖辈 |
[13:13] | was an officer at the battle of Yorktown. | 是参加约克镇战役的一名军官 |
[13:15] | Indeed. | 是吗 |
[13:16] | Did your ancestors fight at Yorktown, Mother? | 你祖上有人打过约克镇战役吗 母亲 |
[13:18] | Or were they too busy digging potatoes in Kerry? | 还是他们太忙了 忙着在凯里郡挖土豆 |
[13:20] | You will be civil to your mother. | 你对母亲说话礼貌点 |
[13:23] | Remember, her ancestors are your ancestors too. | 记住 她的祖辈也是你的祖辈 |
[13:26] | Yes, Father. | 是的 父亲 |
[13:27] | How is it going with the new railroad, sir? | 新铁路怎样了 先生 |
[13:32] | Well… | 这个嘛… |
[13:34] | these things take time. | 这种事需要时间 |
[13:35] | Tell me, Mr. Van Rhijn, | 和我说说 范莱茵先生 |
[13:37] | what do you think of Mr. Post’s new building | 你觉得普斯特先生为布鲁克林历史学会 |
[13:39] | for the Brooklyn Historical Society? | 新建的大楼怎么样 |
[13:42] | It’s all right, I suppose. | 我觉得还不错 |
[13:44] | But I’m not an admirer of the Romanesque style. | 但我不太喜欢罗马风格 |
[13:48] | Are you, Miss Russell? | 你呢 罗素小姐 |
[13:53] | I don’t know, exactly. | 我不太了解罗马风格 |
[13:56] | Perhaps not. | 或许不喜欢吧 |
[13:58] | Then my opinion is reenforced. | 那么我的观点得到认可了 |
[14:08] | Who sent it? | 谁寄来的 |
[14:08] | She’ll tell us when she’s ready. | 她看完信会告诉我们 |
[14:11] | It’s from Mr. Raikes. | 是雷克斯先生寄来的 |
[14:12] | He got the job he was here to interview for, | 他得到了之前来这里面试的那份工作 |
[14:14] | so he’s living in New York. | 所以他现在住在纽约了 |
[14:16] | And what is that to you? | 这跟你有什么关系 |
[14:18] | You can’t ask me to cut him dead. | 你不能让我当他不存在吧 |
[14:19] | My dear, should you meet Mr. Raikes in the street, | 亲爱的 你要是在街上碰见雷克斯先生 |
[14:21] | then of course not. | 那当然不行 |
[14:22] | But I suggest only that you do not seek him out. | 但我只是想说你别约他见面 |
[14:25] | He is not fit to be one of your circle. | 他不是你这个圈子的人 |
[14:27] | He is not a suitable companion, that is all. | 他不是个适合的伴侣 就这样 |
[14:30] | All? | 就这样 |
[14:31] | It seems like a great deal to me. | 这对我来说似乎过分了 |
[14:32] | I do not wish to marry Mr. Raikes. | 我没有想要嫁给雷克斯先生 |
[14:34] | Then we have no quarrel. | 那我们就没什么分歧了 |
[14:35] | But I don’t accept that he’s not fit to keep me company. | 但我不接受他不能做我朋友的这个说法 |
[14:37] | Certainly, he has behaved like a gentleman to me | 他从我们第一次见面起就一直 |
[14:39] | from our first meeting. | 对我表现得很绅士 |
[14:40] | I think I should be lucky to be in his company. | 我认为有他这个朋友我该感到幸运 |
[14:43] | Oh, Henry, Henry, must you live on in your child? | 亨利 你一定要附在你孩子身上吗 |
[14:45] | Can you not set her free, for pity’s sake? | 看在老天的份上 你能放过她吗 |
[14:48] | But what’s wrong with him? | 但他有什么问题 |
[14:49] | He is an adventurer. | 他是个投机者 |
[14:51] | Will you concede nothing to my age and experience? | 你就不能相信我的年龄和阅历吗 |
[14:54] | I tell you, he is an adventurer. | 我告诉你他就是个投机者 |
[14:55] | And I am never wrong. | 而我从未看走眼过 |
[15:08] | Thanks for saving me at dinner. | 谢谢你在晚餐时帮我说话 |
[15:10] | I didn’t want to be cross-examined | 我可不想被那个 |
[15:12] | by that young jackanapes. | 傲慢的小鬼质问 |
[15:14] | I don’t know what report he’ll take home to his mother. | 我不知道他会回家跟他母亲报告些什么 |
[15:17] | Why did he have to witness all of you pounding me | 为什么要让他目睹你们像恶狼一般 |
[15:19] | like a trio of prizefighters? | 对我群起而攻之呢 |
[15:21] | Gladys must make friends, Bertha. | 格拉迪斯得交点朋友 贝莎 |
[15:22] | Mr. Baldwin is not what we want. | 鲍德温先生不是我们想要的人 |
[15:24] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[15:26] | Because he’s not what I want. | 因为他不是我想要的人 |
[15:29] | Do you think Mr. Van Rhijn is interested in Gladys too? | 你觉得范瑞恩先生也对格拉迪斯感兴趣吗 |
[15:32] | What makes you say that? | 这从何讲起 |
[15:33] | Instinct. | 直觉而已 |
[15:36] | I think he may be, but I question his motives. | 我觉得有可能 但我认为他动机不纯 |
[15:39] | Gladys will be a very rich young woman. | 格拉迪斯将会是个很富有的年轻女孩 |
[15:41] | And if anyone plans to marry her for money, | 而任何想要为钱财而迎娶她的人 |
[15:43] | he’ll need much more to offer than Oscar van Rhijn. | 都得拿出比奥斯卡·范赖恩更大的诚意 |
[15:45] | What do you mean by that? | 你这话什么意思 |
[15:47] | Have you thought about how to deal with the aldermen? | 你想好怎么应对市政议会的人了吗 |
[15:48] | I believe so. | 我想是的 |
[15:50] | But I can do nothing until they repeal their own law. | 但在他们废除自己的法案前 我插不进手 |
[15:53] | What I am planning may take a great many dollars, my dear. | 我想做的事情得花好大一笔钱 亲爱的 |
[15:56] | But if I am successful, | 但如果我成功了 |
[15:58] | it will be worth it. | 那就是值得的 |
[15:59] | I told you before. | 我之前就说了 |
[16:01] | We’ve made one fortune together. | 我们曾经一起赚了大钱 |
[16:02] | And if needs be, we’ll make and spend another. | 如果有需要 我们能再赚一次 |
[16:08] | May I stay with you tonight? | 我今晚能和你一起睡吗 |
[16:10] | You have only to ask. | 无比欢迎 |
[16:38] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了 |
[16:40] | You seem preoccupied. | 你看着像在神游天外 |
[16:42] | I am preoccupied, but nothing’s the matter. | 我的确在神游 但这不重要 |
[16:45] | I think I’ve met the girl I’m going to marry. | 我想我遇到了我要娶的女孩 |
[16:50] | We always knew we were going to have to marry in the end. | 我们从一开始就知道自己最终会结婚 |
[16:54] | Did we? | 是吗 |
[16:56] | I suppose we did. | 也许是吧 |
[16:57] | What’s the alternative, to live in the shadows? | 不然还能怎样 隐居吗 |
[17:02] | No, thank you. | 不了 谢谢 |
[17:05] | Who is she, this girl? | 这女孩是谁 |
[17:08] | Too early to say. | 现在说还为时尚早 |
[17:10] | But she’s perfect. | 但她很完美 |
[17:13] | She’ll have lots of money, which is essential. | 她将会很富有 这是关键 |
[17:17] | She’s an innocent, so she will suspect nothing. | 她天真无邪 因此不会疑神疑鬼 |
[17:20] | And she seems nice. | 而且她看着很善良 |
[17:24] | I think we could be happy. | 我想我们能幸福 |
[17:26] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[17:27] | John, there are plenty of men | 约翰 有很多男人 |
[17:30] | who have had to make exactly the same decision. | 都需要做出这种抉择 |
[17:33] | They can’t all be wretched. | 他们总不会个个都不幸吧 |
[17:38] | And what about us? | 那我们会怎样呢 |
[17:41] | Why should it make any difference? | 我们为什么要变 |
[17:44] | Oh, I see. | 我懂了 |
[17:47] | Unless I take to it like a duck to water. | 除非我发现与和她是天作之合 |
[17:50] | You never know. | 这事说不准 |
[17:58] | I’m only teasing. | 我开玩笑的 |
[18:20] | Bastards. | 混蛋 |
[18:21] | They’ve rescinded the law? | 他们废除了法案 |
[18:23] | Well, that’s it. | 是的 |
[18:24] | There will be no new railroad station in New York City. | 纽约市不会有新的火车站了 |
[18:26] | For now. | 暂时不会 |
[18:27] | What are we going to do? | 我们该怎么办 |
[18:29] | We buy. | 我们去收购 |
[18:31] | We buy? | 收购 |
[18:32] | Every piece of company stock that comes on the market. | 收购公司在市面上流通的所有股份 |
[18:34] | And not a soul is to hear about it. | 而且这事不能让任何人知道 |
[18:36] | Hide the purchases. | 做隐蔽些 |
[18:37] | I don’t want them traced back to me, not yet. | 我暂时不想让他们查出是我买入的 |
[18:42] | Miss Ainsley. | 安斯利小姐 |
[18:44] | You look well this morning, sir. | 你今早看着真精神 先生 |
[18:45] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[18:47] | I feel as well as Washington | 我现在和华盛顿 |
[18:48] | looking down at the redoubts outside Yorktown. | 看到约克镇外的防御塔的心情一样 |
[18:51] | He knew a great battle was coming. | 他知道大战将至了 |
[18:53] | A great battle he would win. | 而且是场必胜的大战 |
[18:55] | He can’t have known that. | 他当时可不知道 |
[18:58] | But he knew it was a battle he could win. | 但他知道这是场他能打赢的仗 |
[19:05] | What a wonderful surprise. | 真是意外之喜 |
[19:07] | Don’t worry, I’m not staying. | 别担心 我不会待久 |
[19:09] | Then it’s a little less wonderful. | 这就不太美妙了 |
[19:12] | But come in for a moment. Please? | 但请进来坐一会吧 好吗 |
[19:14] | Will you excuse us, Miss Scott? | 你能让我们单独待会吗 斯科特小姐 |
[19:30] | – We shouldn’t be in here. – Just for a moment. | -我们不该在这独处 -待一会而已 |
[19:33] | I can’t stay, really. | 我真的不能久待 |
[19:34] | I’m meeting Aunt Ada at a luncheon party. | 我还有个午宴 和艾达姑姑见面 |
[19:37] | My loss. | 太遗憾了 |
[19:39] | So… | 说起来 |
[19:42] | what have you been doing since I last saw you? | 我们上次见面后你都在忙些什么 |
[19:44] | Are you enjoying your stay in New York? | 你在纽约的这段时间过得还愉快吗 |
[19:46] | My stay or my new life? | 这段时间还是我的新生活 |
[19:48] | I’d love to tell you all about it, | 我很愿意对你知无不言 |
[19:50] | but I suppose I can’t call at your aunt’s house. | 但我想我不能去你姑姑家拜访你 |
[19:54] | What about luncheon at Delmonico’s? | 我们约在戴尔莫尼科餐厅进午餐如何 |
[19:56] | Madison Square, I mean, of course, not Broadway. | 麦迪逊广场那间 不是百老汇那个 |
[19:59] | I don’t know the difference, but no. | 我不知道这两家有何区别 但不了 |
[20:01] | Well, what about coffee? | 那一起喝咖啡如何 |
[20:03] | Where? | 去哪 |
[20:04] | In some salubrious hotel. | 在一间舒适的酒店里 |
[20:07] | The St. Cloud or the Metropolitan. | 圣克劳德酒店或者大都会酒店 |
[20:09] | You know your way around already. | 你已经对纽约了如指掌了 |
[20:11] | I’m a quick learner. | 我学东西很快 |
[20:12] | Of course we can’t meet in a hotel. | 我们当然不能在酒店里见面 |
[20:15] | For coffee or anything else. | 无论是喝咖啡还是做其他事 |
[20:17] | You don’t seem to me to be a person governed by petty rules. | 你看着不像是个被礼教束缚的人 |
[20:20] | Not governed, I hope. | 束缚倒不一定 |
[20:22] | But I must live in the same world as everyone else. | 但我必须向其他人一样遵守规矩 |
[20:26] | We could bump into each other in Madison Square. | 我们可以在麦迪逊广场偶遇 |
[20:28] | – By Liberty’s hand? – What? | -在自由之臂雕像旁边 -什么 |
[20:30] | The hand from the proposed Statue of Liberty. | 拟议中的自由女神雕像的手臂 |
[20:33] | It was sent over here six years ago to raise funds. | 它于六年前被送到这里 为募集资金 |
[20:35] | But soon it’s going back to France. | 但很快它就会回法国了 |
[20:36] | That sounds like something I would like to see. | 听起来是个我愿意看的东西 |
[20:38] | Then we’ll walk up and down and admire it. | 那我们就来回走走 好好欣赏 |
[20:41] | Who’d object to that? | 那样还有谁会反对呢 |
[20:43] | Aunt Agnes. | 艾格妮丝姑姑 |
[20:48] | I’ll be there. | 反正我会去的 |
[20:49] | When? | 什么时候 |
[20:51] | Next Monday. | 下周一 |
[20:52] | 5:00. | 五点钟 |
[20:56] | You are incorrigible, Mr. Raikes. | 你真够执着的 雷克斯先生 |
[20:59] | And now I must fly. | 现在我得赶紧走了 |
[21:06] | Miss Scott, come in. | 斯科特小姐 进来吧 |
[21:13] | I must tell you I can confirm your suspicions, | 我得说 你的怀疑无误 |
[21:15] | even if I have no answers for the questions they raise. | 即便我并不知道该如何解决其带来的问题 |
[21:38] | Have you seen what’s happening? | 你看到发生了什么情况吗 |
[21:39] | I have, and it’s true. The stock has gone up. | 看到了 是真的 股票涨了 |
[21:41] | It makes no sense. | 这没道理啊 |
[21:43] | The law’s been reversed. The station won’t be built. | 法律被撤回了 车站不会建了 |
[21:45] | – And the stock has risen- – Not by much. | -股票已经涨了… -不算太多 |
[21:47] | Not by much yet. | 还没有涨太多 |
[21:48] | But they haven’t even fallen a cent | 可本应一泻千里的股票 |
[21:50] | when they should have gone through the floor. | 一分钱都没跌 |
[21:52] | Russell must be behind it. | 一定是罗素在背后搞鬼 |
[21:54] | Buying them as they come on the market. | 一有人卖他就买进 |
[21:56] | That’s what everyone’s saying. | 大家都是这么说 |
[21:58] | But how much money would one man risk? | 可这要赌上多少钱啊 |
[22:00] | How much money has one man got? | 这家伙得有多少钱啊 |
[22:02] | And there you have it. | 你说到点上了 |
[22:03] | Even George Russell himself | 即便是乔治·罗素本人 |
[22:04] | can only hold up the crash for a day or two. | 也只能维持住一天或者两天股价 |
[22:07] | You’re sure? | 你确定吗 |
[22:10] | How deeply are you in? | 你做空了多少 |
[22:13] | So deep, I cannot see the sky. | 太多了 多到让我抬不起头了 |
[22:19] | I bet all I have. | 我把所有身家都押上了 |
[22:22] | So I won’t just lose the money. I’ll lose everything I own. | 所以我不但会损失钱 还会失掉名下的一切 |
[22:26] | Without the law, the company is ludicrously overpriced. | 没有那个法律 公司的股价就是哄抬虚高 |
[22:30] | Delaying the fall will consume his fortune. | 延缓股价的暴跌会吞噬他的所有财富 |
[22:32] | I hope to God you’re right. | 我祈祷你的判断正确 |
[22:34] | I must be right. | 我说的肯定对 |
[22:48] | Morris. | 莫里斯 |
[22:49] | What are you doing here? | 你来干什么 |
[22:51] | Well, I’ve just left a meeting | 我刚在查尔斯·费恩的办公室 |
[22:51] | at Charles Fane’s office. | 开完会 |
[22:53] | Have you, uh-have you heard the rumors | 你…你听说乔治·罗素的 |
[22:55] | about George Russell? | 谣传了吗 |
[22:56] | They’re saying at the Union that he’s ruined | 联合俱乐部有人说他破产了 |
[22:58] | or if he isn’t yet, he soon will be. | 如果他还没有的话 那也快了 |
[22:59] | He’s trying to maintain the value of his company | 他想要保住公司的市值 |
[23:01] | by buying all the shares as they come out. | 只要有人卖出 他就全部买进 |
[23:03] | And when he lets them go, | 他一旦放手不管 |
[23:04] | they’ll crash through the floor, | 股价就会跌得一塌糊涂 |
[23:05] | taking his fortune with him. | 并带走他所有财产 |
[23:06] | That’s what they say. | 大家是这么说的 |
[23:10] | I’d better run, but, uh, | 我得走了 但… |
[23:11] | I can’t get over it. | 我真是无法相信 |
[23:13] | George Russell is finished. | 乔治·罗素完蛋了 |
[23:18] | Please, God. | 老天保佑吧 |
[23:26] | Oh, there you are. | 你可回来了 |
[23:28] | I was afraid you were going to miss your lunch. | 我担心你会吃不上午餐了呢 |
[23:31] | But there’s still some food left. | 不过还剩了些食物 |
[23:33] | No need to get upset. | 不用不高兴 |
[23:35] | It’s not that. It’s– | 不是因为那个 而是… |
[23:36] | What? | 怎么了 |
[23:37] | Something in your letter? Did someone die? | 你信里的事吗 是有人去世了吗 |
[23:40] | No, no. | 没有 没有 |
[23:41] | Well, how long are you going to keep us in suspense? | 那你要让我们好奇多久呢 |
[23:44] | It’s from the publisher of “The Christian Advocate.” | 是《基督教倡导者》出版商的来信 |
[23:47] | Why is he writing you? | 他为什么给你写信 |
[23:50] | He wants to meet | 他想约我见面 |
[23:51] | to discuss publishing some of my short stories. | 谈谈刊登几篇我的短篇小说 |
[23:54] | What? | 什么 |
[23:55] | I’ve never known anyone who’s had something published in the paper. | 我认识的人里从没有谁在报纸上印过一个字 |
[23:58] | Why should you care? You don’t read. | 这和你有什么关系 你又不识字 |
[24:00] | – I get by. – This is very impressive. | -我勉强可以 -你太厉害了 |
[24:02] | One of your own stories in print. | 你自己写的小说要出版了 |
[24:05] | Don’t spoil it. | 别这么扫兴 |
[24:07] | Is our luncheon ready? | 我们的午餐好了吗 |
[24:08] | It is. | 好了 |
[24:09] | Miss Scott just got word | 斯科特小姐刚刚收到信 |
[24:10] | that a publisher wants to talk to her about her writing. | 说有位出版商想和她见面谈谈她的文章 |
[24:13] | Congratulations, Miss Scott. | 恭喜啊 斯科特小姐 |
[24:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:16] | Excuse me. | 失陪 |
[24:18] | Oh, but you didn’t eat your lunch. | 可你还没吃午饭呢 |
[24:22] | I wonder how long she’ll keep working | 如果她东西发表了文章 |
[24:24] | for Mrs. Van Rhijn once she gets in the papers. | 不知道还会为范莱茵夫人工作多久 |
[24:26] | It is not for us to speculate on such things. | 这些事轮不到我们猜测 |
[24:28] | Yes, Mr. Bannister. | 是 班尼斯特先生 |
[24:30] | Miss Scott isn’t the only one around here | 斯科特小姐不是我们这里 |
[24:31] | doing something exciting. | 唯一遇上有趣事的人 |
[24:33] | We got tickets to the magic lantern show tonight. | 我们买到今晚魔术灯光表演的票了 |
[24:35] | That’s right. | 没错 |
[24:36] | Well, mind you come straight back. | 提醒你看完直接回来 |
[24:38] | Curfew’s at 10:00. | 十点宵禁 |
[24:39] | We will, Mr. Bannister. | 我们会的 班尼斯特先生 |
[24:40] | Definitely. | 一定会的 |
[24:43] | Well, of course we’ll have to raise funds. | 我们当然得要募捐 |
[24:45] | There’s always fundraising. | 总是会有募捐活动 |
[24:46] | But in this instance, | 但这一次 |
[24:47] | we may have to take on the politicians too. | 我们可能还要去对付政治家们 |
[24:50] | Goodness, what will your Aunt Agnes say about such a thing? | 天啊 艾格妮丝姑妈会怎么看待这事 |
[24:54] | Mrs. Van Rhijn will know that sometimes a fight | 范莱茵夫人会理解有时候 |
[24:56] | – can’t be avoided. – Brava. | -对抗无法避免 -说得好 |
[24:58] | I’ll make a sash for her to wear. | 我要给她做条绶带披上 |
[25:00] | “Life, Liberty, and the Red Cross forever.” | “生命 自由 红十字会万岁” |
[25:02] | Of course you’re joking, but you make me tremble. | 你当然是说笑的 可你让我直哆嗦 |
[25:05] | I know better. | 我更了解你 |
[25:06] | Miss Ada Brook would never tremble. | 艾达·布鲁克小姐才不会哆嗦 |
[25:08] | She’d always fight for any cause she believed in. | 她会为她相信的事业而战 |
[25:10] | You may have confused me with my sister. | 你肯定把我和我姐姐搞混了 |
[25:13] | There’s nothing wrong with my memory. | 我的记忆力不会有错 |
[25:14] | In fact, I’m glad you’re here, | 事实上 我很高兴你今天能来 |
[25:16] | as it allows me to ask | 我想借机问问 |
[25:17] | whether I really may call at 61st Street. | 可否到61街贵府上拜访 |
[25:20] | Aunt Agnes would like to see | 我想艾格尼丝姑姑肯定会很高兴 |
[25:22] | Mr. Eckhard again, I’m sure. | 再次见到埃克哈德先生 |
[25:26] | Well, if you think so. | 这样的话那好吧 |
[25:27] | How long have you lived there? | 你在那里住了多久了 |
[25:30] | My brother-in-law built the house in 1850. | 我姐夫于1850年在那盖了房子 |
[25:33] | And I joined my sister there | 十年前我姐夫过世以后 |
[25:34] | when her husband died ten years ago. | 我搬了过去和我姐姐一起住 |
[25:36] | They must have been marooned in a desert | 他们刚刚搬过去的时候 |
[25:38] | when they first arrived. | 那地方还很荒凉吧 |
[25:40] | Mrs. Van Rhijn had great foresight. | 范莱茵夫人真有眼光 |
[25:42] | – Not really. – No? | -其实不是 -不是 |
[25:44] | She wanted to buy in Washington Square, | 她本来想在华盛顿广场买房子 |
[25:46] | but her husband insisted the city would move north. | 但是她丈夫坚持认为城市会向北迁移 |
[25:49] | He bought quite a few lots. | 他买了不少地皮 |
[25:50] | And now New York has crept up the avenue | 现在纽约大道慢慢繁荣起来 |
[25:53] | and made them priceless. | 使之变成无价之宝 |
[25:56] | It has proved to be sensible, yes. | 事实证明他很明智 没错 |
[25:59] | Have you heard about this opera business? | 你们听说了歌剧院的事吗 |
[26:01] | What’s that? | 什么事 |
[26:03] | A group of new people mean to challenge the Academy of Music | 一些纽约新贵想要挑战音乐学院的权威 |
[26:06] | and create another opera house. | 再建造一个歌剧院 |
[26:08] | – They can’t. – They think they can. | -他们不可以 -他们觉得自己可以 |
[26:11] | They met at Delmonico’s last week | 上周他们在戴尔莫尼科餐厅约谈 |
[26:13] | and decided that since they weren’t allowed | 他们决定既然不允许他们使用 |
[26:15] | boxes at the Academy, | 学院的包厢 |
[26:17] | they were going to build their own house. | 他们打算建一个自己的歌剧院 |
[26:19] | Do we know of whom this group of malcontents consists? | 知道这些心怀怨气的家伙们都是谁吗 |
[26:22] | The usual. JP Morgan, of course. | 当然还是那几个 JP摩根家 |
[26:25] | The Rockefellers, the Vanderbilts. | 洛克菲勒家 范德比尔特家 |
[26:27] | Every opportunist in New York. | 纽约所有的投机分子 |
[26:31] | My lips are sealed. | 我不会到处乱说 |
[26:32] | No wonder they couldn’t get a box at the Academy. | 怪不得学院不给他们包厢 |
[26:35] | But what is the point of shutting out these men | 如果他们有能力建一座比现有剧院 |
[26:37] | and their families when they could probably build | 好二十倍的剧院的话 |
[26:39] | an opera house that’s 20 times better | 把这些人和他们的家族 |
[26:40] | than the one we have now? | 拒之门外又有什么意义呢 |
[26:47] | Really, Marian? | 真的假的 玛丽安 |
[26:48] | I can see we’re going to have to take you in hand. | 看来我们得好好盯着你了 |
[26:50] | – But surely– That’s enough, dear. | -但… -够了 亲爱的 |
[26:52] | Time to let other people speak. | 是时候让别人说说话了 |
[27:01] | Here you are. | 给你 |
[27:02] | Oh, this is good, Frederick. | 这很好 弗雷德里克 |
[27:04] | – Anything else, sir? – It’s enough for now. | -还需要别的吗 先生 -暂时不需要了 |
[27:06] | Miss Scott. | 斯科特小姐 |
[27:07] | A man was asking for you at the front door. | 前门有位男士要找你 |
[27:10] | I asked him to wait in the street, | 我让他在街上等你 |
[27:11] | but he said he’d meet you at the park. | 但是他说会在公园和你见面 |
[27:14] | What sort of man? | 什么样的男士 |
[27:27] | Father. | 父亲 |
[27:31] | I thought it was time the mountain came to Mohammed. | 你不来见我 我只好来见你了 |
[27:34] | I’ve been here awhile. | 我已经回来一段时间了 |
[27:35] | But not long enough to come and see your father. | 但就是没空来探望你的父亲 |
[27:37] | – I don’t want to quarrel. – I won’t quarrel if you won’t. | -我不想吵架 -你不和我吵 我就不和你吵 |
[27:43] | Your mother’s birthday is approaching. | 你母亲的生日快到了 |
[27:44] | I know. | 我知道 |
[27:46] | I come here to– | 我来这里是… |
[27:58] | You were saying? | 你刚刚在说… |
[28:01] | – We want you to come home. – Father. | -我们希望你能回家 -父亲 |
[28:03] | Not to stay. | 不是长住 |
[28:05] | Your mother said you’re unmovable on that. | 你母亲说这事对你来说没得商量 |
[28:08] | Just for her birthday. | 只是给她庆祝生日 |
[28:11] | She hasn’t been herself since you decided to leave. | 自从你离开家她就一直状态不好 |
[28:13] | She’s not the reason I left. | 我不是因为她才离开 |
[28:15] | But I can forgive you and get past it all. | 我可以原谅你 既往不咎 |
[28:17] | – Forgive me? – Yep. | -原谅我 -是的 |
[28:20] | It would make your mother happy | 你母亲会很高兴看到 |
[28:23] | if we could sit down and break bread | 我们可以坐下来像一家人一样 |
[28:25] | as a family in peace. | 和睦地吃一顿饭 |
[28:30] | I will come home but just for her birthday. | 我会回家 但只是给她庆祝生日 |
[28:36] | Your mother mentioned something about | 你母亲说 |
[28:39] | – working as a secretary? – Yes. | -你在当秘书 -是的 |
[28:42] | What does that entail, exactly? | 那你具体做什么 |
[28:44] | Writing letters for some old lady? | 帮某个老妇人写写信吗 |
[28:46] | It’s a job for an educated woman | 这是适合受过教育的女性的工作 |
[28:48] | – that could lead to anything. – Really? | -前景非常广阔 -真的吗 |
[28:51] | Exactly where is your room in that house? | 那你的卧室在那房子的哪个位置呢 |
[28:54] | All right. | 好吧 |
[28:54] | It’s in the servants’ quarters. | 我是和仆人们住在一起 |
[28:56] | But I won’t be working for Mrs. Van Rhijn forever. | 但我不会永远替范莱茵夫人工作 |
[28:59] | And the job allows me time to write. | 这份工作让我有时间写作 |
[29:01] | I don’t know why you’re bothering with that. | 我不明白你为什么一直要花时间做这个 |
[29:03] | There aren’t any colored writers, | 从来没有那个黑人作家 |
[29:05] | especially women writers, who can make a living wage. | 尤其是黑人女作家 能够靠写作糊口 |
[29:07] | I will soon find out how much colored women writers make. | 我很快可以知道黑人女作家可以挣多少钱了 |
[29:11] | How’s that? | 怎么说 |
[29:13] | I have a meeting with the publisher | 卡尔顿波特出版社 |
[29:15] | at Carlton and Porter. | 要约我谈谈 |
[29:17] | They put out “The Christian Advocate.” | 那是《基督教倡导者》的出版商 |
[29:18] | The white newspaper. | 那是白人报纸 |
[29:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:20] | And Mr. Carlton is interested in publishing | 卡尔顿先生有兴趣想要发表 |
[29:22] | some of my stories. | 一些我写的小说 |
[29:25] | Why didn’t you try “The New York Globe”? | 你为什么不试试《纽约环球报》 |
[29:27] | I did, but they never answered. | 我试过了 他们压根没回复 |
[29:32] | Well… | 好吧 |
[29:34] | if it doesn’t pan out, | 如果这事没成 |
[29:36] | you can always come home. | 你总可以回家 |
[29:39] | And work for me. | 替我工作 |
[29:43] | I should get back. | 我该回去了 |
[29:45] | What’s wrong? | 怎么了 |
[29:47] | – What happened? – Nothing. | -出什么事了 -没事 |
[29:51] | I can tell your mother to set a place for you? | 我可以告诉你母亲替你留个位置吗 |
[29:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:55] | Goodbye, Father. | 再见 父亲 |
[30:18] | I’m going out, if anyone asks. | 如果有人问起 就说我出去了 |
[30:22] | I’ll be back in time to get him changed. | 我会在替老爷更衣前回来 |
[30:24] | Where do you go, Mr. Watson? | 你去哪 沃森先生 |
[30:26] | What do you mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[30:27] | Well, you often slip out for an hour in the afternoon. | 你经常在下午溜出去一小时 |
[30:29] | I wondered where you go to. | 我想知道你去哪了 |
[30:32] | Nowhere in particular. | 没有特定的地方 |
[30:34] | Sometimes the park. | 有时去公园之类的 |
[30:36] | I like to walk. | 我只是喜欢走走 |
[30:43] | I may be imagining it, but I think Mr. Watson | 可能是我的错觉吧 不过我认为沃森先生 |
[30:45] | has a soft spot for you. | 很喜欢你 |
[30:47] | Then he’s wasting his time. | 那他是在浪费时间 |
[30:49] | I’ve got bigger plans than a broken-down old valet. | 我的目标可比落魄男仆大多了 |
[30:53] | That seems rather cruel. | 听起来有点残忍 |
[30:55] | Life can be cruel, Mrs. Bruce. | 生活就是残忍 布鲁斯太太 |
[30:58] | But I mean to get the better of it. | 但我要战胜残酷的生活 |
[31:08] | It seems mad to me not to take Mrs. Russell’s money | 我觉得拒绝罗素夫人的钱简直是令人费解 |
[31:10] | when she has so much of it to give. | 毕竟她那么有钱 |
[31:13] | Or Mrs. Chamberlain’s, for that matter, | 还有张伯伦夫人的 也一样 |
[31:16] | whatever her past. | 无论她有怎样的过去 |
[31:17] | You may have a point when it comes to Mrs. Russell | 关于罗素夫人 你说的或许没错 |
[31:20] | – but not with Mrs. Chamberlain. – No? | -但张伯伦夫人不是这样 -不是吗 |
[31:23] | They say she’s very rich, too, | 他们说她也很有钱 |
[31:24] | and that she has a real interest in charitable causes. | 她对慈善事业也真的很有兴趣 |
[31:27] | It may be so, but there are limits. | 也许确实如此 但生活总还有底线 |
[31:29] | What is she supposed to have done? | 她之前到底做了什么事 |
[31:33] | Well, before their marriage, | 在她结婚之前 |
[31:36] | Mr. And Mrs. Chamberlain… | 张伯伦先生和夫人 |
[31:39] | Knew each other. | 就认识彼此 |
[31:41] | Don’t most people know their wives and husbands | 大多数人在结婚前不是都 |
[31:44] | before they marry them? | 认识自己的另一半吗 |
[31:45] | Except in some Eastern countries, I suppose. | 我猜除了一些东方国家吧 |
[31:48] | Yes, but their son is… | 是的 但他们的儿子… |
[31:52] | – older than he ought to be. – I thought he was adopted. | -比他应该的年纪大了些 -我以为他是领养的 |
[31:55] | Well, so he is. | 确实是这样没错 |
[31:57] | In a way. | 从某种意义上来说 |
[31:58] | And it was all a long time ago now. | 但这是很久以前的事了 |
[32:01] | People have long memories in this town. | 这座城市的人们会记得很久以前的事 |
[32:05] | Oh, there’s Bannister. | 班尼斯特来了 |
[32:06] | Good afternoon, Bannister. | 下午好 班尼斯特 |
[32:08] | – Miss Ada, Miss Marian. – Bannister. | -艾达小姐 玛丽安小姐 -班尼斯特 |
[32:11] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[32:14] | Why couldn’t you see it coming? | 你怎么会没料到这个情况 |
[32:16] | Because it’s always worked before. | 因为从前这招都很有效 |
[32:18] | Then why isn’t it working this time? | 那这次怎么不行了 |
[32:19] | Russell has more money than God. | 罗素简直是太有钱了 |
[32:21] | Can’t you tell him there’ll be no profit in the deal? | 你就不能告诉他 他无法从这场交易中获利吗 |
[32:24] | We tried to make a fool of him. | 我们之前试图蒙骗他 |
[32:25] | He won’t find that easy to forgive. | 他不会那么轻易原谅我们 |
[32:28] | You should get changed. | 你该换衣服了 |
[32:30] | If he keeps going, I’ll lose everything I own. | 如果他一直购入 我会失去一切 |
[32:33] | We! | 是我们 |
[32:34] | We will lose everything we own. | 我们将失去拥有的一切 |
[32:36] | It’s a pity you and Anne Morris | 你和安妮·莫里斯实在不应该 |
[32:38] | decided to humiliate his wife. | 羞辱他的妻子 |
[32:39] | I guess that won’t have helped. | 这可没什么好处 |
[32:40] | That was Anne, not me. | 那是安妮 不是我 |
[32:42] | I wanted to use their ballroom for the fair. | 我想用他们的舞厅举行义卖 |
[32:44] | Then why didn’t you insist? | 那你为什么不坚持呢 |
[32:47] | There must be something you can do. | 你一定还有办法 |
[32:50] | Appeal to his better nature. | 求他良心发现 |
[33:08] | That was terrific. | 太棒了 |
[33:39] | That made me jump. | 吓了我一跳 |
[33:40] | Don’t worry. I’ll look after you. | 别担心 我会保护你的 |
[33:42] | Not like that. | 不要这样 |
[33:44] | – I only– – Not like that. | -我只是… -不要这样 |
[33:53] | Could you go to him? | 你就不能去找他吗 |
[33:54] | After the insults you heaped on his wife? | 在你大肆羞辱了他妻子之后吗 |
[33:56] | – I don’t think so. – I only did what I– | -还是算了吧 -我只是做了… |
[33:57] | You only did what you thought was right. | 你只是做了你认为正确的事 |
[33:59] | I had to follow Aurora’s lead– | 我必须得听奥萝拉的话 |
[34:01] | Don’t insult my intelligence. | 不要侮辱我的智商 |
[34:02] | I don’t know what you mean. | 我不明白你这是什么意思 |
[34:04] | You saw the fun he had destroying your bazaar. | 你看到了毁掉你的义卖他有多开心 |
[34:06] | Well, now he has the chance to destroy your family. | 现在他有机会摧毁你的家庭了 |
[34:10] | It can’t be as bad as that. | 不至于糟糕到这种地步吧 |
[34:14] | You have to go to Mrs. Russell. | 你必须去找罗素夫人 |
[34:17] | Ask her forgiveness. | 请求她的原谅 |
[34:18] | Call, grovel, kiss her feet. | 谄媚 赔笑 卑躬屈膝 |
[34:20] | Do what you have to do to get her to stop him. | 竭尽所能让她帮我们制止她丈夫 |
[34:22] | Patrick, you can’t ask that of me. | 帕特里克 你不能让我这么做 |
[34:24] | I’m not asking you. I’m telling you. | 我不是在拜托你 是在通知你 |
[34:28] | Or you’ll have no position, no house, | 不然你就再也无法拥有地位 房子 |
[34:30] | and no one left to boss around. | 还有供你颐指气使的佣人了 |
[34:44] | I thought we might stop for an ice cream, maybe? | 或许我们可以一起吃个冰淇淋 |
[34:48] | Or just a cup of coffee? | 或者喝一杯咖啡 |
[34:51] | You heard Mr. Bannister. | 你听到班尼斯特先生的话了 |
[34:52] | We’re to go straight back. The curfew’s at 10:00. | 我们必须马上回去 十点钟就宵禁了 |
[34:57] | They don’t own us, Bridget. | 他们并不能掌控我们 布丽姬特 |
[35:00] | This is our night off. | 今晚我们休息 |
[35:03] | We don’t get many. | 我们没有多少这样的机会 |
[35:04] | We can’t miss the curfew, | 我们不能错过宵禁 |
[35:05] | and we said we’d go straight home. | 而且我们说过会直接回去 |
[35:08] | If that’s the way you want it. | 如果你希望如此的话 |
[35:09] | It is. | 这就是 |
[35:15] | Can I hold your hand? | 我可以牵你的手吗 |
[35:16] | I’ve told you. I don’t like that stuff. | 我说过 我不喜欢这样 |
[35:20] | Now, come on. | 快走吧 |
[35:32] | Do you want to come to bed? | 你想上床睡觉吗 |
[35:33] | Not yet. | 还不想 |
[35:35] | I need a drink. | 我需要喝一杯 |
[35:36] | What’s happened? | 怎么了 |
[35:38] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[35:42] | Only that my plan has come apart | 只是我的计划被打乱了 |
[35:44] | and I have to start again. | 我必须要重新开始 |
[35:48] | I presume you mean the perfect girl? | 我想你是指那个完美女孩吧 |
[35:51] | About time you knew. | 你也该知道了 |
[35:53] | Her name is | 她的名字是 |
[35:55] | Gladys Russell. | 格拉迪斯·罗素 |
[35:57] | George Russell’s daughter? | 乔治·罗素的女儿吗 |
[35:59] | But now, God damn it, the word on the street | 但现在 该死的 街上都传言 |
[36:01] | is that Russell is finished. | 罗素已经完蛋了 |
[36:05] | Or he soon will be. | 或是快了 |
[36:06] | He’s trying to hold up the value of his company | 他试图通过回购公司的所有股份 |
[36:09] | by buying all the shares. | 来撑住公司市值 |
[36:11] | But no one can continue that forever. | 但这终究不是长久之计 |
[36:14] | They think he’ll be wiped out in a matter of days. | 外界都认为他不出几日就会破产 |
[36:17] | And the girl is not perfect enough | 而这个女孩在她父亲破产后 |
[36:18] | to survive her father’s ruin. | 也将无以为继 |
[36:21] | I can’t marry without money. | 我不能娶没有钱的女人 |
[36:24] | I must have more money. | 我必须得到更多的钱 |
[36:29] | – You’ll find another one. – Maybe. | -你会找到其他女人的 -也许吧 |
[36:32] | That’s not the point. | 那不重要 |
[36:35] | She was perfect. | 她本来那么完美 |
[37:06] | Miss Scott? | 斯科特小姐 |
[37:15] | But in your letter, you said that you’re a secretary. | 但你在信中说你是一个秘书 |
[37:17] | So I am. To a Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 如假包换 我是范莱茵夫人的秘书 |
[37:20] | But you never mentioned you were… | 但你没说你是个… |
[37:23] | I’m not sure we can see you today. | 我不确定今天能与你会面 |
[37:25] | But Mr. Carlton’s letter said he wanted to meet. | 但卡尔顿来信说他想见面 |
[37:29] | What is it you expect of us? | 你想从我们这里得到什么 |
[37:31] | I’d like your editor to publish my short stories. | 我希望你们的编辑能出版我的短篇小说 |
[37:34] | Wasn’t that clear? | 这不够清楚吗 |
[37:35] | In “The Christian Advocate”? | 在《基督教倡导者》上吗 |
[37:38] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[37:38] | Is there a rule against publishing the work | 难道有规定禁止刊登像我这样的人 |
[37:40] | of people like me? | 写的小说吗 |
[37:42] | Well, not a rule. | 没有明令禁止 |
[37:44] | I read your magazine a lot. | 我是贵社的忠实读者 |
[37:45] | I like your editorials. | 我喜欢你们的社论 |
[37:47] | And I liked a recent article | 我还喜欢最近读到 |
[37:49] | about the importance of equal rights. | 贵社的一篇关于平权重要性的社论 |
[37:53] | I want to test it. | 我想亲自来试试 |
[37:55] | Mr. Carlton is very busy. | 卡尔顿先生很忙 |
[37:56] | I doubt he’ll have time for you. | 不一定有时间见你 |
[37:59] | But you’re free to wait. | 但你大可以在这里等 |
[38:01] | I will. | 我会的 |
[38:07] | Mr. Aubrey. | 奥布里先生 |
[38:10] | Yes. | 是我 |
[38:18] | Is Mrs. Russell at home? | 夫人在家吗 |
[38:19] | She’s in the drawing room, sir, with Mrs. Morris. | 她在客厅 老爷 还有莫里斯夫人也在 |
[38:21] | Is she indeed? | 是吗 |
[38:23] | I won’t disturb them. | 那我还是不打扰了 |
[38:29] | I do not understand. | 我不明白 |
[38:30] | You are suggesting I should interfere | 你是说我该干涉 |
[38:31] | in my husband’s business? | 我丈夫的事业吗 |
[38:34] | “Interfere” makes it sound so very bad. | “干涉”有点说得太过了 |
[38:41] | It seems that Patrick and the other aldermen | 看来帕特里克和其他议员 |
[38:43] | have miscalculated. | 算错了 |
[38:45] | They thought the stock would go down. | 他们以为股票会下跌 |
[38:48] | But they have gone up. | 但反而上涨了 |
[38:49] | You have neatly encapsulated the nature of dealing in stock. | 你已经清晰地概括了股市交易的本质 |
[38:53] | You try to guess which way they’ll go. | 你试图预测它们的走向 |
[38:54] | If you’re right, you make money. | 猜对了你就赚钱 |
[38:55] | And if you get it wrong, you don’t. | 猜错了就亏钱 |
[38:58] | Of course I know that. | 我当然知道这点 |
[39:02] | So what is it you want me to do? | 那你到底想让我做什么 |
[39:07] | I want you to ask him to show a little pity. | 我希望你能让他高抬贵手 |
[39:13] | To show mercy. | 手下留情 |
[39:17] | Forgive me, but this is in payment for what? | 不好意思 但这到底是为了什么 |
[39:21] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白你的意思 |
[39:23] | You come into my house, you make this strange request, | 你来到我的房子 提出一个奇怪的要求 |
[39:25] | and I’m trying to establish why. | 我只是想知道为什么 |
[39:27] | Do you feel I owe a debt of gratitude? | 你是觉得我欠了你什么吗 |
[39:30] | Have you granted me a favor that merits a return? | 你做过什么事 要让我感恩戴德吗 |
[39:33] | – No. – No. | -没有 -确实没有 |
[39:40] | Mrs. Morris, I hesitate to teach the basics, | 莫里斯夫人 我不愿对你说教 |
[39:43] | but life is like a bank account. | 但生活就像一个银行账户 |
[39:46] | You cannot write a check without first making a deposit. | 如果不提前存款 你就写不了支票 |
[39:49] | Mrs. Morris is leaving. | 莫里斯夫人要离开了 |
[39:51] | Yes, ma’am. | 好的 夫人 |
[40:02] | Mr. Carlton will see you now. | 你可以见卡尔顿先生了 |
[40:18] | Won’t you come into my office, Miss Scott? | 请进我办公室吧 斯科特小姐 |
[40:24] | I apologize for making you wait. | 抱歉让你久等了 |
[40:26] | When Aaron informed me that you were the writer, | 当我从亚伦口中得知你是那个作者时 |
[40:29] | – we needed a strategy. – I see. | -我们需要想个方案 -明白了 |
[40:32] | First, I have a question for you. | 首先我要问你一个问题 |
[40:36] | Did you really write these stories? | 那些小说真是你写的吗 |
[40:39] | I’m sorry? | 你说什么 |
[40:40] | They are beautifully constructed and executed. | 这些小说结构优美 情节生动 |
[40:43] | They came back with the strongest recommendations. | 受到了广泛的好评和推荐 |
[40:45] | And I want to be sure you wrote them. | 我只是想确定是你本人写的 |
[40:47] | I did. | 确实是 |
[40:49] | Then you’re very talented. | 那你一定天赋异禀 |
[40:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:52] | As I stated in my letter, | 正如我信件中所说 |
[40:54] | we would like to publish one of them. | 我们想要出版其中一篇小说 |
[40:57] | That’s wonderful. | 那太好了 |
[40:58] | In fact, it’s amazing, really. | 我真是受宠若惊 |
[41:02] | Which one? | 哪一篇呢 |
[41:03] | We’ll start with the story about the little girl | 我们想从住在海湾边的小女孩 |
[41:04] | who lives by the bay. | 那篇小说开始发表 |
[41:06] | Now, there are adjustments we’d ask you to make | 我们还希望你能进行几处调整 |
[41:09] | so that your work is more palatable to our readers. | 让我们的读者更好地接受你的作品 |
[41:11] | Of course. | 没问题 |
[41:12] | The little colored girl would need to be changed | 我们希望那个黑人小女孩能够修改为 |
[41:14] | to a poor white child. | 一个穷苦的白人小孩 |
[41:16] | But why? | 为什么呢 |
[41:18] | Our readers will not identify | 我们的读者无法与 |
[41:20] | with a colored girl’s story of redemption. | 黑人女孩的救赎故事感同身受 |
[41:22] | But you said my stories came back | 但你说我的小说受到了 |
[41:23] | with the strongest recommendations. | 广泛的好评和推荐 |
[41:25] | Were those from white people? | 那些评价是白人给的吗 |
[41:27] | Of course. | 当然 |
[41:28] | But then wouldn’t their reaction be indicative | 那难道他们的反馈不能代表 |
[41:30] | of your readers? | 你们的读者吗 |
[41:31] | Why would you change an integral part of the story? | 为什么你们要修改这么重要的部分 |
[41:36] | Because it would cost us | 因为这会让我们损失 |
[41:37] | most of our readership in the South. | 南方的一大部分读者 |
[41:40] | I don’t approve of the system, I can say that. | 我个人也不赞同当下的社会制度 |
[41:43] | But once gone, those people would not be back. | 但一旦读者流失了 他们就再也不会回来 |
[41:47] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[41:50] | You said “adjustments.” | 你说”几处调整” |
[41:51] | Well, what other changes must I make to be published? | 我还需要做什么改变 才能被出版 |
[41:54] | Your name is fine. | 你的名字没问题 |
[41:56] | It does not suggest anything about your background, | 看不出你的背景 |
[41:58] | so we can keep it. | 所以这个可以保留 |
[42:00] | But your race would have to remain concealed. | 但你的种族必须保密 |
[42:03] | How would that work? | 这要怎么操作 |
[42:05] | We’d have you sign a document that you accept our policy, | 我们会让你签一份文件 接受我们的条款 |
[42:08] | which would prevent you from divulging publicly | 这样你就不能向公众透露 |
[42:09] | that you are the writer of any stories we might publish. | 你是我们今后可能发布的小说的作家 |
[42:12] | My own stories? | 我自己的小说都不行吗 |
[42:14] | Once we buy them, they would be ours. | 一旦我们购入 那些就成了我们的小说 |
[42:20] | So… | 那么… |
[42:21] | you understand what I’m saying? | 你理解我说的意思吗 |
[42:23] | – I think so. – Good. | -理解了 -很好 |
[42:25] | “The Christian Advocate” is asking me to lie. | 《基督教倡导者》让我撒谎 |
[42:31] | It’s the best arrangement I can offer. | 这是我能给的最好条件 |
[42:34] | You’d be paid handsomely. | 你会收到丰厚稿费 |
[42:36] | More than you could make at any colored publication. | 比任何有色人种出版社给的都多 |
[42:39] | I realize that. | 这点我懂 |
[42:41] | There at least two white men sitting at a bar | 现在至少有两个男人坐在酒吧角落 |
[42:44] | around the corner drinking away their sorrows | 借酒浇愁 暗自伤神 |
[42:46] | because I turned them down. | 因为我拒绝了他们 |
[42:49] | They’d kill to be in your position. | 他们做梦都希望处在你现在的位置 |
[42:53] | But they’d never be in my position. | 但他们绝不会落入我这种境地 |
[42:59] | Did I make a mistake? | 我做错了吗 |
[43:01] | I could have my stories published in a newspaper right now. | 我现在就可以在报纸上刊登我的小说 |
[43:04] | But you’d never be able to claim them. | 但你却终身无法承认那是你的作品 |
[43:06] | And no, you did not make a mistake. | 不 你没有犯错 |
[43:08] | It was a disgraceful thing for him to ask. | 他竟然提出这种要求 是他无耻 |
[43:10] | The worst part is, my father was right. | 最糟糕的是 我父亲说得对 |
[43:13] | Now he’ll gloat and insist that I come and work for him. | 现在他定会幸灾乐祸 强迫我去给他工作 |
[43:16] | But you have a job. | 可是你有工作 |
[43:17] | It doesn’t matter. | 这无所谓 |
[43:19] | His way and his word trumps anything | 他的行事方法和言语胜过 |
[43:21] | I say or want to do, at least in his mind. | 我的所说所想 至少他这么认为 |
[43:24] | There must be other papers. | 肯定还有其他报纸 |
[43:26] | There are. | 是的 |
[43:27] | But I haven’t heard back from any of them. | 只是我没收到任何一家的回复 |
[43:29] | Somewhere there’s an open door. | 一定会有向你敞开的大门 |
[43:30] | And you’re going to walk through it. | 到时你就能昂首阔步走进去 |
[43:35] | If that’s her hand, what size will the Statue of Liberty be? | 如果这是她的手 那自由女神像的本尊该有多大 |
[43:38] | Big. | 非常大 |
[43:42] | Mr. Raikes. | 雷克斯先生 |
[43:43] | So when it goes to France | 所以这手臂会远洋去法国 |
[43:45] | and get stuck onto the statue’s arm, | 安装到雕塑身上 |
[43:47] | – then it will come back here? – That’s the idea. | -随后再被运回这里吗 -是这么计划的 |
[43:49] | But they still haven’t got enough money for the plinth. | 但他们依然没有足够的钱建造雕塑基座 |
[43:52] | – The government refuses. – They’ll find it. | -政府拒绝资助 -他们会想到办法 |
[43:55] | Would you like to walk with us, Miss Scott? | 你想跟我们一起散步吗 斯科特小姐 |
[43:58] | No. Thank you, sir. | 不了 谢谢邀请 先生 |
[44:04] | So…tell me about your adventures in the city. | 跟我说说你在城里的奇遇 |
[44:07] | I’m enjoying myself. | 我很享受 |
[44:09] | Life in New York is very much to my taste. | 纽约生活非常对我的胃口 |
[44:12] | Can I come to 61st Street yet? | 我现在能去61街拜访你了吗 |
[44:14] | Not quite. | 暂时不行 |
[44:16] | Is your aunt still being unreasonable? | 你姑姑还那么不讲理吗 |
[44:18] | Who said she was ever reasonable? | 她什么时候讲过理了 |
[44:21] | That’s a shame. | 真可惜 |
[44:23] | I have things I want to say to her. | 我有些话想对她说 |
[44:25] | – To them both. – What things? | -对她们俩 -什么话 |
[44:28] | Well, now, let me see. | 让我想想 |
[44:29] | I could start by admitting that I’m no great catch socially. | 我可以先承认自己在社交方面并不抢手 |
[44:33] | Things are improving in that direction. | 但这方面的情况正在好转 |
[44:35] | – Mr. Raikes? – Of course, I have no fortune. | -雷克斯先生是何意 -当然了 我也没有钱 |
[44:37] | But I’ve got a good job and excellent prospects. | 可我有份很好的工作 而且前程无量 |
[44:41] | There’s nothing wrong with being a lawyer in New York. | 在纽约做律师并不是件丢人的事 |
[44:43] | Certainly not. | 当然不是 |
[44:45] | But– | 但是… |
[44:46] | Do you hear that? | 你听到了吗 |
[44:54] | And if it’s devotion you need to be sure of, | 如果你需要确认我的真心 |
[44:58] | then I can say, hand on heart, | 那我可以摸着良心说 |
[45:00] | there is no man living who cares more for you than I. | 这世上没有人比我更在乎你 |
[45:06] | Let me spend what remains to me of life | 请让我用自己的余生 |
[45:08] | in the sole cause of making you happy. | 专心让你幸福 |
[45:14] | Mr. Raikes, we’ve only met a handful of times. | 雷克斯先生 我们只见过几次 |
[45:17] | You see, for me, I knew at once. | 但对我来说 我第一次就知道了 |
[45:19] | When you came to my office for help that time. | 你来我办公室向我求助的那次 |
[45:23] | I could have ask you then, but… | 我本来那时就想向你求婚 但… |
[45:25] | now I’ll keep on asking until you say no. | 现在我会不断向你求婚 直到你拒绝 |
[45:28] | What if I say yes? | 那如果我答应了呢 |
[45:30] | Then I’ll stop. | 那我就停下 |
[45:34] | I should get back. | 我该回去了 |
[45:40] | Send me a message when you want to see me. | 你想见我时 捎个口信给我 |
[45:58] | Are you all right? What happened? | 你还好吗 发生什么了 |
[45:59] | He proposed. | 他求婚了 |
[46:02] | I’m quite breathless. | 我都喘不过气来了 |
[46:04] | – What did you answer? – Nothing. | -你回答了什么 -什么也没说 |
[46:06] | – Nothing of any purpose. – You didn’t tell him no? | -至少没有回答他的问题 -你没拒绝吗 |
[46:09] | I didn’t tell him anything. | 我就没有回答他 |
[46:11] | But you didn’t tell him no. | 但你也没有拒绝 |
[46:19] | I’m sorry to miss your pretty niece. | 很遗憾没见到你漂亮的侄女 |
[46:22] | She’s gone to the park, Mr. Eckhard. | 她去公园了 埃克哈德先生 |
[46:24] | Where are you living now? | 你现在住在哪里 |
[46:26] | Well, right now, I’m down on 4th Street. | 目前住在4街 |
[46:28] | – But it’s only temporary. – I see. | -可只是暂时之举 -这样 |
[46:30] | What a beautiful house you have here, Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 你的家真漂亮 范莱茵夫人 |
[46:33] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[46:35] | Do I remember some of these pieces | 这里是否还有些你老家的家具 |
[46:36] | from your old home when I used to call there | 我还记得小时候与父母去你家拜访时 |
[46:38] | with my parents? | 你家的模样 |
[46:39] | Not really. These are my husband’s things. | 并没有 这些都是我丈夫的 |
[46:42] | My brother sold most of my parents’ possessions. | 我哥哥把我们父母的多数财产都变卖了 |
[46:46] | Indeed, that must have been hard. | 嗯 那肯定很不好过 |
[46:47] | I’m not sure I recall your parents visiting, | 我似乎不记得你父母来访 |
[46:49] | but perhaps they did. | 但也许他们来过吧 |
[46:51] | I think I remember them. | 我好像记得他们 |
[46:54] | There’s not much Miss Ada Brook forgets. | 艾达·布鲁克小姐可以说是过目不忘 |
[46:56] | Of that, I’m sure. | 这点我很确定 |
[47:00] | Yes? | 对吧 |
[47:01] | Ada, dear, go down and tell Mrs. Bauer | 艾达 亲爱的 下楼告诉鲍尔太太 |
[47:03] | we will be three for tea. | 用下午茶的有三人 |
[47:06] | Won’t she already know? | 她难道不是已经知道了吗 |
[47:08] | I want to gossip with Mr. Eckhard. | 我想跟埃克哈德先生单独谈谈 |
[47:24] | Your sister is a fine woman. | 你妹妹真是个好女人 |
[47:26] | Shall I tell you what I think, Mr. Eckhard? | 我该告诉你我的想法吗 埃克哈德先生 |
[47:29] | I think you heard from Mrs. Morris | 我想你是从莫里斯夫人那里听说 |
[47:31] | Ada was still unmarried. | 艾达依旧未婚 |
[47:32] | And you saw a way to mend your fences. | 然后你找到了化干戈为玉帛的办法 |
[47:34] | – Now, wait a minute. – I may be wrong, of course. | -先等一下 -当然我也可能错了 |
[47:37] | And your feelings may come from the heart. | 你的感情或许是发自内心 |
[47:38] | They do. | 确实是 |
[47:40] | I’ve seen her in my mind’s eye so many times over the years. | 这些年来我总在脑海中看见她的脸 |
[47:43] | Still, I believe I should tell you, | 尽管如此 我认为我该告诉你 |
[47:44] | my sister has little money of her own. | 我妹妹自己没有太多钱财 |
[47:48] | And in the joyful event of her marrying, | 如果她有幸结婚 |
[47:50] | she would be obliged to move out | 她必须从这里搬出去 |
[47:53] | and take care of herself. | 并照顾自己 |
[47:54] | I’m too old to live with a man. | 我太年迈 无法再与男人一起居住 |
[47:56] | I assure you, you’ve mistaken my intentions, ma’am. | 我向你保证 你错会了我的意图 夫人 |
[47:59] | Have I? | 是吗 |
[48:01] | Then I apologize. | 那我致歉 |
[48:04] | Just so you understand that marrying Ada | 但你要知道 与艾达结婚 |
[48:06] | would bring neither income nor a place to live. | 既无法给你带来钱财 亦无法给你居所 |
[48:10] | You see, you never knew why my father turned you down | 你一直不知道我父亲多年前 |
[48:13] | all those years ago. | 为何拒绝你的求婚 |
[48:14] | You thought it was your lack of prospects. | 你以为是因为你前途渺茫 |
[48:16] | But you’d been heard boasting at a bar | 但有人听见你在酒吧吹嘘 |
[48:19] | that you were about to marry a meal ticket. | 你就要娶到一张终身饭票了 |
[48:25] | You were wrong about that too. | 这点你也错了 |
[48:31] | Here we are. | 所以事已至此 |
[48:32] | It was on its way up. | 茶点已经送上来了 |
[48:37] | My dear Miss Ada, | 亲爱的艾达小姐 |
[48:38] | I’m afraid I’ve only just noticed the time. | 不好意思我才注意到都这个点了 |
[48:40] | I’m already late for an appointment. | 我有个会面已经迟到了 |
[48:42] | But you’ve come all the way from 4th Street. | 可你好不容易从4街赶来 |
[48:45] | And now he has to get back. | 现在他不得不走了 |
[48:47] | But surely, you can stay for a few minutes. | 但你总可以逗留几分钟用些茶点 |
[48:51] | Nothing would give me more pleasure. | 没什么会比这更让我开心 |
[48:56] | – Sadly, it’s just not possible. – I am sorry. | -很遗憾 今天吃不成了 -抱歉 |
[48:59] | Bannister, would you see Mr. Eckhard out? | 班尼斯特 你能送埃克哈德先生出去吗 |
[49:01] | – We can manage here. – Yes, ma’am. | -我们自己能行 -好的 夫人 |
[49:03] | – Ladies. – Right this way, Mr. Eckhard. | -告辞 女士们 -这边走 埃克哈德先生 |
[49:10] | What a very strange thing. | 真奇怪 |
[49:12] | I don’t remember him as rude. | 我记得他为人并不粗鲁 |
[49:14] | Oh, I think he’s just a very busy man. | 我想他只是繁忙 |
[49:17] | Never mind. | 不管他了 |
[49:18] | I want your help with the menus tomorrow. | 我需要你的帮忙 制定明天的菜单 |
[49:21] | And please, | 还有 |
[49:24] | choose something that you really like. | 选一些你喜欢的东西 |
[49:27] | I want to spoil you for once. | 我想偶尔也宠宠你 |
[49:29] | I can’t think why. | 我真不知道这是为什么 |
[49:32] | I can. | 我知道 |
[49:46] | But I do not understand why I should stop buying | 但我不明白我为什么要停止购入 |
[49:48] | what’s on the open market. | 已经流入公开市场的股票 |
[49:50] | I like the company. | 我看好公司 |
[49:52] | I have more faith in it than you. | 我比你对这家公司更有信心 |
[49:55] | Won’t you do the decent thing? | 你就不能做磊落的事吗 |
[49:57] | And is that what you all did to me, Mr. Fane? | 那你们对我做的事就是吗 费恩先生 |
[50:01] | The decent thing? | 磊落 |
[50:03] | But if they will agree to pass the law now? | 如果他们同意现在就通过法律呢 |
[50:05] | You mean to pass the law again? | 你是说再通过一次法律 |
[50:07] | To pass it for a second time? | 第二次通过吗 |
[50:09] | You’ve made your point, Mr. Russell. | 你已经表明自己的观点了 罗素先生 |
[50:11] | We’ve taken you for a fool | 我们以为你愚蠢 |
[50:12] | when it is we who are the fools. | 事实证明愚蠢的是我们 |
[50:14] | I won’t fight you on that one. | 这点我倒是不反对 |
[50:21] | If you want me to kneel, I’ll kneel. | 如果你先让我下跪 我就下跪 |
[50:29] | If you want me to beg, | 如果你想让我乞求 |
[50:31] | I am begging now. | 我现在就在乞求你 |
[50:34] | We’ve already lost enough to make us poor. | 我们已经失去了太多 足以被称为穷人了 |
[50:37] | But if it goes on for much longer, | 但如果情况再继续发展 |
[50:39] | there are some among us facing ruin. | 我们中有些人就要面临毁灭了 |
[50:45] | Please, | 求你了 |
[50:47] | end it. | 结束一切吧 |
[50:59] | I won’t say I feel no pity, | 我不能说自己不同情 |
[51:01] | because I do. | 因为我可怜你们 |
[51:04] | But you have not only tried to get the better of me. | 但你们不仅想利用我 |
[51:07] | You and Mrs. Morris have snubbed and belittled my wife. | 你和莫里斯夫人还怠慢轻视我妻子 |
[51:13] | How could I allow that to go unpunished? | 我怎么能对这事视而不见 |
[51:20] | I don’t suggest that you men committed every crime | 我并不是指你们犯了罪 |
[51:22] | that I’m avenging here. | 而我要为之复仇 |
[51:24] | But to employ a modern phrase, | 换句现代的潮流话说 |
[51:26] | I’m afraid you must face the music. | 恐怕你们必须得面对现实 |
[51:30] | My secretary will see you out. | 我的秘书会送你们出去 |
[52:03] | There you are. | 你终于回来了 |
[52:05] | I thought I heard the front door. | 我就觉得听见了前门有响动 |
[52:08] | Are we expecting any of the children for dinner? | 今晚会有孩子们来吃晚餐吗 |
[52:11] | Will’s here, of course. And Louise is on her way. | 威尔当然在 露易丝正在来的路上 |
[52:13] | But I don’t think she’s staying. | 但我觉得她不会住下 |
[52:16] | She’s a good girl. | 她是个好姑娘 |
[52:18] | They’re all good people, I’m happy to say. | 我很欣慰 他们都出落成大好青年了 |
[52:21] | What brought this on? | 你怎么说这些 |
[52:22] | Why? Must I have a reason to tell you | 怎么了 我对自己的家人感到骄傲 |
[52:24] | how proud I am of my family? | 还必须有个理由吗 |
[52:28] | You have made me happy and proud. | 你们让我幸福又自豪 |
[52:30] | You most particularly. | 尤其是你 |
[52:33] | Enough. | 别嘴甜了 |
[52:35] | I should be weeping in a minute. | 一会我该哭了 |
[52:38] | Come in and sit with me. | 来跟我坐一会 |
[52:39] | We’ve got time before we change. | 更衣前我们还有时间 |
[52:40] | In a moment. | 稍后吧 |
[52:41] | There’s something I must do first. | 我还有些必须要做的事 |
[52:58] | – Is this just for me? – It is. | -这只是为了我吗 -没错 |
[53:01] | I’m a lucky fellow. | 我真幸运 |
[53:06] | How’s it all going? | 事情怎么样了 |
[53:08] | They’ve offered to repass the law | 他们同意重新通过法律 |
[53:11] | and let me build my station. | 并让我建造车站 |
[53:12] | So I won’t have to scrub floors? | 那我不必刷地板了咯 |
[53:14] | Doesn’t look like it. | 看上去不用了 |
[53:29] | Is it finished, then? | 这么说都结束了 |
[53:30] | Not quite but almost. | 还没有 |
[53:32] | It’ll be a long time | 未来很长一段时间内 |
[53:33] | before the aldermen try to get the better of me again. | 市参议员都不会再利用我了 |
[53:36] | But I think I’ve punished them enough. | 不过我觉得给他们的惩罚已经够了 |
[53:38] | That sounds very forbearing of you. | 你真是宽容大度 |
[53:41] | I like to do the right thing. | 我喜欢做正确的事 |
[53:43] | If I don’t lose any money by it. | 只要我不因此失去钱财 |