时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:52] | Give us this day our daily bread | 今日请赐予我们日常食粮 |
[01:55] | and forgive us our debts, | 并免除我们的债 |
[01:57] | as we forgive our debtors, and lead us not… | 如同我们免了人的债 不叫我们… |
[01:58] | Of course, he shouldn’t really be buried in consecrated ground. | 当然 他不该被葬在圣地 |
[02:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[02:07] | Wonderful. | 太棒了 |
[02:10] | For Thine is the kingdom and the power | 因为王国 权力和荣耀 |
[02:12] | and the glory forever. | 都是你的 直到永远 |
[02:15] | Amen. | 阿门 |
[02:31] | Church said you had a telegram. | 丘奇说你收到了一份电报 |
[02:33] | It’s from Clay. | 是克雷发来的 |
[02:35] | Coroner’s verdict on Patrick Morris… | 验尸官对帕特里克·莫里斯的死因判定 |
[02:38] | suicide. | 自杀 |
[02:39] | How could he say anything else? | 他还能怎么说 |
[02:41] | They’ll blame me. | 他们会怪我 |
[02:42] | You were strong. He was weak. | 你强他弱 |
[02:44] | Who’s to blame for that? | 这能怪谁 |
[02:47] | – Even so– – By the way, | -即便是这样… -顺便告诉你 |
[02:48] | – I’m firing Miss Grant. – Good. | -我要开除格兰特小姐 -好 |
[02:50] | It’s about time we treated Gladys as an adult. | 我们是该把格拉迪斯当成年人看了 |
[02:52] | But I’ll replace her. | 但我会换个人 |
[02:54] | – Then why is she going? – She’s lost control of Gladys. | -那为什么要让她走 -她控制不了格拉迪斯 |
[02:57] | You know my opinion. | 你知道我怎么想 |
[02:59] | George, I’m working to achieve a position | 乔治 我在努力争取社会地位 |
[03:01] | that will alter Gladys’ life for the better. | 从而改善格拉迪斯的人生 |
[03:03] | If you want to help her, help me. | 如果你想帮她 就帮我吧 |
[03:19] | The editor’s name is T. Thomas Fortune. | 这位编辑名叫蒂莫西·托马斯·福琼 |
[03:22] | He’s asked me to come by his office | 他请我去他的办公室商讨 |
[03:24] | to discuss writing for “The New York Globe.” | 为《纽约环球报》写稿的事 |
[03:26] | Peggy, how exciting! | 佩姬 太激动人心了 |
[03:29] | – Why didn’t you say before now? – I didn’t know before now. | -你之前为什么不说 -我之前也不知道 |
[03:31] | I sent him my story, but I got no answer. | 我把小说寄给了他 但没有收到回复 |
[03:35] | And I suppose I was trying to break some sort of mold | 而且我觉得我当时是为了打破 |
[03:37] | at “The Advocate.” | 《基督教倡导者》的某种模式 |
[03:39] | But Mr. Fortune is a trailblazer. | 但福琼先生是位先锋人士 |
[03:41] | So you could be a published writer in no time at all. | 所以你马上就能成为一名出版作家了 |
[03:44] | And you could be a bride, | 而你可以成为新娘 |
[03:46] | if you give Mr. Raikes an answer. | 只要你给雷克斯先生一个答复 |
[03:48] | I still can’t believe he asked the question. | 我还是不敢相信他问了那个问题 |
[03:50] | Maybe he didn’t. Maybe I was mistaken. | 也许他没问 是我搞错了 |
[03:53] | Do you hope you were mistaken? | 你希望自己搞错了吗 |
[03:55] | Not exactly. | 也不是 |
[03:58] | Although it still feels rather rushed. | 虽然还是感觉很突然 |
[04:01] | What would you say to him if your aunts didn’t exist? | 如果你的姑姑们不存在你会怎么答复他 |
[04:05] | Good point. | 问得好 |
[04:07] | Oh, let’s go in. | 我们进去吧 |
[04:10] | – Why? Do you need anything? – Not particularly. | -为什么 你要买什么吗 -也没有 |
[04:13] | – Then let’s not. – Please. | -那就别进去了 -求你了 |
[04:15] | I just can’t get over the shops in New York. | 我就是无法抗拒纽约的商店 |
[04:16] | We have nothing like them in Doylestown, I can assure you. | 我向你保证 多伊尔斯敦没有这样的商店 |
[04:26] | How can they have such a choice | 他们怎么能有这么多选择余地 |
[04:28] | wherever you look? | 举目皆是 |
[04:33] | Aren’t these heavenly? | 这些披肩美极了 |
[04:35] | Which do you prefer? | 你喜欢哪条 |
[04:37] | That one matches your eyes. | 那条很配你的眼睛 |
[04:40] | Mrs. Chamberlain. How do you do? | 张伯伦夫人 你好吗 |
[04:43] | Well, as it happens, | 我过来的路上 |
[04:44] | I called on Mr. Knoedler on my way here, | 顺便去拜访了诺德勒先生 |
[04:47] | and see what I’ve come away with? | 看看我得到了什么 |
[04:53] | I think it must have been a jewelry box. | 我觉得它一定是个珠宝盒 |
[04:54] | – How perfectly lovely. – She shouldn’t be in here. | -太精致了 -她不该来这里 |
[04:57] | Knoedler says it’s Grinling Gibbons, | 诺德勒说这是格里林·吉本斯的作品 |
[04:58] | which I doubt, but I don’t care either way. | 我不相信 但我也不在乎 |
[05:01] | Mrs. Chamberlain. | 张伯伦夫人 |
[05:04] | Always a pleasure to welcome you to our store. | 很荣幸您光临我们的商店 |
[05:09] | Would you like to see? | 你想过来看看吗 |
[05:14] | Whether it’s a Gibbons or not, | 不管这是不是吉本斯雕的 |
[05:15] | the man who made this knew how to carve wood. | 它的制作者都非常擅长木雕 |
[05:18] | This is Miss Scott. She’s a secretary for my aunt. | 这是斯科特小姐 我姑姑的秘书 |
[05:21] | – And for you? – No. | -也是你的秘书吗 -不是 |
[05:22] | But my aunts don’t like me going out unaccompanied. | 但我姑姑不喜欢我单独出门 |
[05:24] | Thank you, ma’am. It’s beautiful. | 谢谢你 女士 它美极了 |
[05:27] | Now, what brings you in here? | 那你怎么会来这里 |
[05:29] | – I need some gloves. – So do I. | -我要买手套 -我也是 |
[05:31] | But first I want a shawl. | 但我想先买条披肩 |
[05:34] | Do you really think it’s this one? | 你真的觉得我应该买这条吗 |
[05:35] | – Mm, yes. – Then let me pay for it. | -是的 -那我先付个账 |
[05:36] | And we’ll go together. | 然后我们一起走 |
[05:38] | Oh, no, it mustn’t look | 不 千万别让人觉得 |
[05:39] | as if we’re on a planned shopping trip. | 我们是约好一起来逛街的 |
[05:41] | – I don’t– – No, I mean it. | -我不… -别 我是认真的 |
[05:43] | But I always enjoy our meetings, Miss Brook. | 但我喜欢跟你见面 布鲁克小姐 |
[05:52] | Let’s get out of here. | 我们走吧 |
[06:02] | Not long. Just around the block. | 不用太久 就在这附近走走 |
[06:04] | Or–or send John. Pumpkin likes him. | 或者让约翰去吧 小南瓜喜欢他 |
[06:07] | No, no, Miss Ada. I’ll go. | 不用 艾达小姐 我去吧 |
[06:08] | I’d take him myself, but I have a hundred things to do, | 我本想自己去遛它 但我还有很多事要做 |
[06:12] | and Miss Scott has gone out with Miss Marian. | 斯科特小姐又跟玛丽安小姐出去了 |
[06:14] | Oh, that’s all right, Miss Ada. | 没事 艾达小姐 |
[06:15] | I’d like a stroll. | 我喜欢散步 |
[06:19] | Bye. | 再见 |
[06:25] | Mr. Fane. | 费恩先生 |
[06:31] | Your office said you were on your way here, | 你办公室的人说你在来这里的路上 |
[06:32] | but I thought I might miss you. | 但我怕错过你 |
[06:34] | Are you a member of the club? | 你是这个俱乐部的会员吗 |
[06:35] | Don’t worry– their entry standards | 别担心 他们的入会标准 |
[06:37] | haven’t sunk that low. | 没那么低 |
[06:39] | But I wanted to say, | 但我想说 |
[06:41] | I’m very sorry about Patrick Morris, | 不管你们怎么想 |
[06:44] | whatever you may think. | 我对帕特里克·莫里斯的死感到遗憾 |
[06:45] | I don’t think anything… | 我什么都没想 |
[06:47] | beyond that it was a sad end to what had been | 除了觉得他如此体面的人生 |
[06:50] | a reasonably decent life. | 却落得如此悲惨的下场 |
[06:51] | – You’ll say it was my fault. – No, Mr. Russell. | -你是在怪我 -不 罗素先生 |
[06:54] | We behaved badly, and you punished us, | 我们做得不对 你惩罚了我们 |
[06:55] | which was fair enough. | 这很公平 |
[06:57] | It was a pity that Morris wasn’t equal to the test. | 很遗憾 莫里斯未能通过测试 |
[07:00] | This is not a game for weaklings. | 这不是弱者的游戏 |
[07:02] | No, indeed. | 确实不是 |
[07:04] | How are things progressing now? | 事情现在进展如何 |
[07:07] | We’re ready to pass the new bill. | 我们准备通过新法案 |
[07:08] | It will be announced next week or the week after. | 下周或下下周正式公布 |
[07:10] | We’ll send word. | 我们会通知你 |
[07:12] | Will you make back the money you lost? | 你会把失去的钱赚回来吗 |
[07:13] | The share price is too high for that, | 股价现在太高 |
[07:15] | as you know better than I. | 这点你比我更清楚 |
[07:17] | But there’s no point in crying when you play a game and lose. | 但游戏输了哭也没用 |
[07:21] | I bear you no ill will, Mr. Fane. | 我对你并无恶意 费恩先生 |
[07:24] | That’s not what it sounded like when the Aldermen came to see you. | 市参议员去见你时 你似乎不是这意思 |
[07:27] | I was angry then. | 我那时很生气 |
[07:29] | I’m not angry now. | 现在不生气了 |
[07:31] | Good day. | 再见 |
[07:35] | Mr. Fane. | 费恩先生 |
[07:38] | Would you have time to drop by my office this afternoon? | 你今天下午有时间来一趟我办公室吗 |
[07:55] | Whoa, now. | 别急 |
[07:57] | Easy, now. Whoa, whoa. | 冷静点 别着急 |
[08:00] | Steady now, girl. | 别急 姑娘 |
[08:04] | Okay. Slow down, now. | 好吧 慢点 |
[08:06] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[08:10] | But surely you must have felt something. | 但我想你当时一定有感觉 |
[08:13] | He must have tugged at his leash before he got loose. | 在挣脱前 它一定用力扯过牵引绳 |
[08:16] | Well, if he did, I didn’t notice. | 就算有 我也没注意到 |
[08:18] | Doesn’t he have a brass tag with the address on his collar? | 它的项圈上不是挂有写着地址的铜牌吗 |
[08:21] | Oh, yes. | 对啊 |
[08:23] | Oh, thank the Lord. | 谢天谢地 |
[08:25] | I have it here, ma’am. | 项圈在我这里 夫人 |
[08:27] | Well, I’m sure anyone who lives on the street | 我想住在这条街上的邻居 |
[08:30] | will recognize him. | 一定会认出它来 |
[08:31] | But what if he’s found by an unscrupulous thief? | 但如果是个不择手段的小偷捡到它呢 |
[08:36] | Someone might pay $50 for him. | 有人可能会花50美金买下它 |
[08:38] | Only if they do not know the breed. | 除非他们不知道品种 |
[08:40] | But what would happen to my poor little Pumpkin, | 但我可怜的小南瓜被一群陌生人围住 |
[08:43] | surrounded by strangers? | 会怎么样 |
[08:44] | You never know–they might be very kind to him. | 谁知道呢 他们可能对它很好 |
[08:48] | Really, Ada, there’s no point in carrying on | 艾达 真没必要继续哭下去 |
[08:50] | as if you lived in a tree. | 就好像你之前多走运似的 |
[08:52] | I’ve no doubt someone will bring him back any minute now. | 我相信很快会有人送它回来 |
[08:55] | – Don’t you agree, Bannister? – I certainly hope so, ma’am. | -你同意吗 班尼斯特 -但愿如此 夫人 |
[08:58] | Oh, I shall have to lie down. | 我要去躺一会 |
[09:02] | You survive a civil war, | 你在内战中活了下来 |
[09:04] | yet you collapse because a lap dog is missing? | 却因为走失一条哈巴狗就崩溃了吗 |
[09:07] | Pull yourself together, for heaven’s sake. | 天啊 振作起来 |
[09:10] | You’re a soldier’s daughter. Remember it. | 记住 你是战士的女儿 |
[09:14] | Pumpkin. | 小南瓜 |
[09:15] | Poor Miss Ada, she does so love that dog. | 可怜的艾达小姐 她特别爱那条狗 |
[09:18] | Thank you, Miss Armstrong, I feel bad enough already. | 谢谢 阿姆斯特朗小姐 我已经够内疚了 |
[09:20] | Should we make up a search party? | 我们该组建一个搜查队吗 |
[09:22] | But where would you start? | 但你要何从找起 |
[09:23] | Mrs. Van Rhijn says that everyone on this street | 范莱茵夫人说这条街的所有邻居 |
[09:26] | – knows the dog. – I agree. | -都认识这条狗 -我同意 |
[09:27] | – Someone will bring it back. – At least they should. | -有人会送它回来 -至少他们应该这样 |
[09:30] | What people should do and what they do do | 人们并不总是会做那些 |
[09:31] | – aren’t always the same. – Quite right. | -他们该做的事 -说得没错 |
[09:40] | Won’t you tell me what I’ve done wrong? | 你能说说我做错了什么吗 |
[09:41] | You’ve done nothing wrong. | 你什么都没做错 |
[09:43] | Well, then come out with me again. | 那就再跟我出去一次 |
[09:44] | No. | 不去 |
[09:50] | You are telling me that you took Miss Gladys | 你是说光天化日之下 你带格拉迪斯小姐 |
[09:52] | to a hotel to meet a young man in broad daylight? | 去酒店与一名年轻男子相会吗 |
[09:55] | – It wasn’t like that. – What was it like, Miss Grant? | -不是那样 -那是哪样 格兰特小姐 |
[09:58] | You only know this because you’ve opened | 你会知道这事 是因为你拆了一封 |
[09:59] | – a letter addressed to me. – You are a young girl. | -寄给我的信 -你是年轻女孩 |
[10:01] | And I am your mother, and I have every right | 我是你母亲 我有权知道 |
[10:03] | to know who’s corresponding with you. | 谁在和你通信 |
[10:04] | I’m not a girl. | 我不是孩子 |
[10:05] | I am a woman, whether it suits you or not. | 我是女人 无论你同不同意 |
[10:07] | Is this the tone you encourage? | 是你怂恿她这么说的吗 |
[10:08] | No. | 不是 |
[10:10] | But I don’t think Mr. Baldwin intended any harm. | 但我觉得鲍德温先生并无恶意 |
[10:13] | They’re young people. It was quite innocent. | 他们都是年轻人 只是单纯的友谊 |
[10:16] | – By which you mean? – Gladys is an adult. | -你这话什么意思 -格拉迪斯是成年人了 |
[10:18] | She cannot be cooped up here forever. | 她不可能永远被关在这里 |
[10:20] | Presumably you speak in such a manner | 我想你敢这么说 |
[10:22] | because you know you have lost your position? | 是因为知道自己被开除了 |
[10:24] | Mother. | 母亲 |
[10:25] | Yes. Mrs. Russell, I’ll pack at once. | 是的 罗素夫人 我马上去收拾行李 |
[10:29] | Thank you, Miss Grant. | 谢谢 格兰特小姐 |
[10:31] | I’ll have the money for you when you’re ready to leave. | 等你准备好离开 我就把工钱给你 |
[10:42] | He will help me to recover the money I lost. | 他会帮我挣回我损失的钱 |
[10:45] | The money we lost. | 是我们损失的钱 |
[10:48] | He can do it. Of that, I’m sure. | 我相信 他能做到 |
[10:51] | You mean we wouldn’t have to sell the house? | 你是说我们不必卖掉房子吗 |
[10:53] | No, I don’t believe so. | 不 我想不必 |
[10:56] | Is this remorse over the death of Patrick? | 这是出于对帕特里克死的自责吗 |
[10:58] | Does he think you’ll put a gun in your mouth if you go under? | 如果你破产 他觉得你会饮弹自尽吗 |
[11:01] | He’s sorry it happened, Aurora. | 他很遗憾发生了这种事 奥萝拉 |
[11:02] | He came to the club to tell me so. | 这是他来俱乐部告诉我的 |
[11:04] | But wouldn’t he lose by letting you recover? | 但让你把钱赚回来他不就赔了吗 |
[11:06] | It’s a drop in the ocean to him. | 这对他来说是九牛一毛 |
[11:10] | So don’t keep me in suspense. | 别对我卖关子了 |
[11:11] | What does he want from you? | 他想从你这里得到什么 |
[11:13] | He must want something in return. | 他一定想要回报 |
[11:15] | All right. | 好吧 |
[11:21] | He would like you to bring his wife into society. | 他想让你带他妻子进入上流社会 |
[11:24] | He’s tired of her being excluded. | 他不想再让她被排除在外 |
[11:28] | She’s no more excluded than any one | 我能想到十几个女人 |
[11:29] | of a dozen women I can think of. | 与她一样受排挤 |
[11:31] | – She just isn’t included. – He’s tired of it. | -她只是不被包括在内 -他厌烦这样了 |
[11:34] | Well, what can I do? | 我又能做什么呢 |
[11:37] | You overestimate my power. | 你高估了我的权力 |
[11:41] | You mean you’d like me to try? | 你是想让我试试 |
[11:44] | Since you ask, I’d like us not to be paupers. | 你既然问了 我希望我们别成为乞丐 |
[11:48] | I’d like us not to be dependent on your father’s charity. | 我希望我们不要依靠你父亲的救济 |
[11:50] | I– | 我… |
[11:55] | I would like us to be ourselves again. | 我希望再回到从前的我们 |
[11:58] | Very well. | 很好 |
[12:00] | If you insist. | 如果你坚持的话 |
[12:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:04] | And mind what you say about my father. | 还有 注意说到我父亲时的语气 |
[12:12] | Don’t be too sad. | 别太难过了 |
[12:14] | You’ve been dying to get rid of me for years. | 你想摆脱我很多年了 |
[12:17] | Mother will find a new governess, | 母亲会找位新的女家庭教师 |
[12:19] | and she may be even worse. | 她或许会更糟 |
[12:21] | I may have been your jailer. | 我或许一直管着你 |
[12:23] | I hope I have also been your friend. | 但我也希望我是你的朋友 |
[12:25] | If you hadn’t stuck up for me, | 如果你没有站出来为我说话 |
[12:27] | you wouldn’t have lost your job. | 你就不会丢了工作 |
[12:33] | Look at that poor little thing. | 瞧那可怜的小家伙 |
[12:34] | Do you suppose it’s lost? | 你觉得它是走失了吗 |
[12:36] | Mrs. Bruce, can you catch it, please? | 布鲁斯太太 能请你把它抱过来吗 |
[12:50] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[12:51] | We found this poor little dog in the road. | 我们在路上发现这只可怜的小狗 |
[12:54] | Looks familiar to me. | 我看着眼熟 |
[12:56] | – Doesn’t it belong to– – I know whom it belongs to. | -它不是… -我知道它是谁的狗 |
[12:59] | – Shall it take it back now? – Go to your room. | -现在要把它送回去吗 -你回房间 |
[13:01] | Mrs. Bruce can manage the dog. | 布鲁斯太太会处理好这条狗 |
[13:03] | Miss Grant. | 格兰特小姐 |
[13:04] | I was just leaving, Mrs. Russell. | 我马上就走 罗素夫人 |
[13:08] | Goodbye, Gladys. | 再见 格拉迪斯 |
[13:13] | Take it downstairs, | 把它带到楼下去 |
[13:14] | give it a bath and something to eat. | 给它洗个澡 再给它点东西吃 |
[13:15] | Then come up to my sitting room. | 然后带上来我的房间 |
[13:16] | I’ll write a note for a footman to deliver. | 我写张字条 让个男仆送去 |
[13:24] | Wash it and feed it and tell me when you’re done. | 给它洗澡 喂食 弄好告诉我 |
[13:26] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 太太 |
[13:27] | Adalheid. | 阿达尔海德 |
[13:28] | What do you think they’ll do now Miss Grant is gone? | 现在格兰特小姐走了 你觉得他们会怎么打算 |
[13:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[13:31] | I mean, will Miss Gladys have a new governess | 格拉迪斯会有位新的女家庭教师吗 |
[13:33] | or a proper lady’s maid? | 还是一位合适的贴身女仆 |
[13:35] | Have you no work to do? | 你没事可干吗 |
[13:58] | Excuse me? | 有人吗 |
[14:04] | Excuse me? | 有人吗 |
[14:05] | Parker, can you hold that lever? | 帕克 你能扶着那个手柄吗 |
[14:07] | I’m not Parker. | 我不是帕克 |
[14:07] | Can you hold that lever still? | 你能扶稳那根手柄吗 |
[14:09] | – It’s shaking. – This one? | -它在晃动 -这个吗 |
[14:10] | Yes, just hold it– hold it steady. | 没错 扶住了 扶稳 |
[14:18] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[14:27] | That’s an actual newspaper. | 一份真正的报纸 |
[14:30] | And you helped to print it, | 还是在你的帮助下印出来的 |
[14:33] | – Miss… – Peggy Scott. | -小姐怎么称呼… -佩姬·斯科特 |
[14:35] | The writer. | 那位作家 |
[14:37] | Are you early for our meeting, or am I running behind? | 你来早了吗 还是我晚了 |
[14:40] | – You’re Mr. Fortune? – I am. | -你是福琼先生吗 -是的 |
[14:45] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[14:52] | It’s amazing. | 这太神奇了 |
[14:53] | This isn’t even one of the steam presses. | 这甚至还不是蒸汽印刷机 |
[14:55] | I’ve been working these machines | 我从在《杰克逊维尔联合日报》 |
[14:57] | since my days back at “The Jacksonville Daily Union.” | 工作起就一直在使用这些机器 |
[15:00] | What you do is set the type backwards, | 你需要做的就是把这些印刷字倒放 |
[15:03] | and it gets reversed in the press. | 印刷出来后 字就会反过来 |
[15:06] | – Fascinating. – So is your writing. | -真神奇 -你写的文字也是 |
[15:09] | You fashioned a unique and compelling narrative. | 你的叙述方式非常独特 也很有冲击力 |
[15:12] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[15:13] | Fortune! | 福琼 |
[15:15] | We cannot exhaust our resources like this | 没有新订阅的话 |
[15:18] | without new subscriptions. | 我们不能再这样消耗资源 |
[15:19] | And we can’t get new readers | 而你的社论继续这么尖锐的话 |
[15:20] | if your editorials continue to provoke. | 我们无法获得新读者 |
[15:23] | Oh, hello. | 你好 |
[15:24] | This is Peggy Scott, a new writer. | 这是佩姬·斯科特 一位新作家 |
[15:27] | – George Parker. – Now, don’t worry. | -我是乔治·帕克 -别担心 |
[15:29] | We’ll get the subscriptions. | 我们会获得新订阅 |
[15:31] | But not by kowtowing to the Republican Party. | 但不是靠向共和党屈服 |
[15:33] | A lot of colored people still believe in them. | 很多有色人种依旧很信任他们 |
[15:36] | Remember, Lincoln was a Republican. | 要记得 林肯也是共和党人 |
[15:37] | Which is why we must expose their shortcomings | 所以我们必须揭露他们的弱点 |
[15:40] | and demand more. | 并且要求更多 |
[15:43] | Have you ever thought about writing anything political, Miss Scott? | 你想过写政治题材的文章吗 斯科特小姐 |
[15:46] | I have. | 想过 |
[15:47] | Don’t ask her if she’s a Republican. | 她要是是共和党的话 就别问了 |
[15:49] | Well, why should I align myself with either party | 既然我没有投票权 |
[15:51] | when I don’t have the right to vote? | 为什么要让自己归属于任何一个党派 |
[15:57] | I’m publishing the story you submitted next week. | 我下周将刊登你送来的故事 |
[16:00] | And I want you to write something about that, too. | 我也希望你能就这一点写篇文章 |
[16:03] | – About what? – What you just said– | -就哪点 -你刚刚所说的 |
[16:05] | political affiliation without voting rights, | 没有投票权的政治关系 |
[16:07] | 200 words. | 写两百字 |
[16:09] | Good to meet you, Miss Scott. | 很高兴认识你 斯科特小姐 |
[16:20] | It was delivered by a footman from across the road. | 这是对面的一个男仆送来的 |
[16:25] | Ada will you stop that noise? I cannot hear myself think. | 艾达 你能别发出噪音了吗 我都无法思考了 |
[16:29] | See? | 看到了吗 |
[16:34] | The Russells have found Aunt Ada’s dog. | 罗素一家找到了艾达姑姑的狗 |
[16:38] | – What’s wrong with that? – Oh, joy! | -这有什么不好吗 -太好了 |
[16:40] | Oh, is it true? | 是真的吗 |
[16:42] | If they’d found the dog, | 他们要是找到了那只狗 |
[16:43] | why not send a footman to return it? | 为什么不派男仆把它送回来 |
[16:46] | No, if you ask me, they kidnapped it | 不 要我说的话 是他们绑架了它 |
[16:48] | so Mrs. Russell could deliver it in person. | 这样罗素夫人就能亲自来送它 |
[16:50] | I said this would happen, | 奥斯卡把她儿子带来喝下午茶时 |
[16:51] | when Oscar brought her son to tea. | 我就说过会发生这种事 |
[16:53] | She wants to force us to receive her. | 她想强迫我们招待她 |
[16:55] | Mark my words–any minute now, Mrs. Russell will arrive | 记住我的话 罗素夫人随时可能 |
[16:58] | with the dog tucked underneath her arm. | 挟着那只狗杀上门来 |
[17:00] | Why don’t I go and get him? | 不如我过去把狗接回来吧 |
[17:02] | – No. – I don’t mind. | -不 -我去也行 |
[17:03] | No! | 不行 |
[17:05] | I will not have that mutt turned into a link | 我不会让那个小杂种成为 |
[17:08] | between these houses. | 连接我们之间的契机 |
[17:09] | Bannister, you go fetch it. | 班尼斯特 你去取一下 |
[17:10] | Very good, ma’am. | 没问题 夫人 |
[17:13] | Pumpkin is not a mutt. | 小南瓜不是什么杂种 |
[17:15] | You’ll know the Russells one day. | 你总有一天要认识罗素一家 |
[17:17] | Over my dead body. | 等我死了再说吧 |
[17:27] | I’m sorry if you don’t like Jack. | 可惜你不喜欢杰克 |
[17:29] | I think he’s a nice boy. | 我觉得他是个好小伙 |
[17:31] | He’s nice enough to work with. | 他是个好同事 |
[17:33] | I don’t see much romance in your future | 如果你都不愿意让男孩牵你的手 |
[17:36] | if you won’t let a boy hold your hand. | 看来你以后的生活会缺少很多情调 |
[17:38] | And I think your own mother would agree with me. | 我想你母亲也会同意我的话 |
[17:42] | I know she would. | 她当然会 |
[18:01] | Good afternoon, Mrs. McNeil. | 下午好 麦克尼尔夫人 |
[18:06] | This is an honor, Mr. Bannister, | 劳您大驾 班尼斯特先生 |
[18:07] | although Mrs. Russell was planning | 不过罗素夫人本打算 |
[18:09] | to bring back the dog herself. | 亲自送狗回去 |
[18:11] | Mrs. Van Rhijn didn’t want to put her to that trouble. | 范莱茵夫人不想这样麻烦她 |
[18:13] | Still, it’s good of you to come | 不过 你真好心能亲自过来 |
[18:14] | and not just send a footman. | 而非直接派个男仆来取 |
[18:16] | I wanted to come. | 我自己想来的 |
[18:17] | We’ve spent long enough watching this house | 我们花了不少时间看着这座房子 |
[18:20] | rise up on the avenue. | 在这条街上拔地而起 |
[18:22] | I’m curious to see what it’s like. | 我很好奇里面是什么样 |
[18:24] | Do you have time for the short tour? | 你有时间简单参观一下吗 |
[18:25] | – What about the family? – They’re upstairs changing. | -这家人不会介意吗 -他们在楼上更衣 |
[18:28] | Then as long as it is short. | 那就速战速决 |
[18:30] | This is the kitchen, as you can see. | 如你所见 这里是厨房 |
[18:33] | Monsieur Baudin’s kingdom. | 博丹先生的王国 |
[18:35] | Monsieur. Je suis heureaux de vous recontrer. | 先生 很高兴认识你 |
[18:39] | Bon jour. | 你好 |
[18:42] | May I? | 我能看看吗 |
[18:43] | Bien sur. Yeah. | 当然 请便 |
[18:45] | Those are tomorrow’s menus. | 那是明天的菜单 |
[18:47] | I write out the final list, | 我写下最终的菜单 |
[18:48] | and Madam approves it before she goes up to dress. | 夫人会在上去更衣前同意 |
[18:51] | I see. | 这样 |
[18:53] | Heavens! Chicken soup for luncheon. | 天啊 午宴上有鸡汤 |
[18:56] | That’s not something with which I’m familiar. | 这可不是我熟悉的东西 |
[18:58] | – Chicken soup? – Soup at luncheon. | -鸡汤吗 -午餐时喝汤 |
[19:01] | Or is it chilled? | 是冷盘吗 |
[19:03] | No. It’s hot. | 不 是热菜 |
[19:06] | Every day you learn something. | 苟日新 日日新 又日新 |
[19:10] | What’s this? | 这又是什么 |
[19:11] | – Trifle? – Don’t you like trifle either? | -乳脂松糕 -乳脂松糕你们也不喜欢吗 |
[19:13] | It’s not that exactly. | 不是那样 |
[19:14] | We would think of it as a nursery dish. | 我们认为那是给小孩子吃的点心 |
[19:16] | Still, one man’s meat is another man’s poison, | 话虽如此 也有人说 甲之蜜糖 |
[19:19] | as they say. | 乙之砒霜嘛 |
[19:22] | Can I see upstairs? | 我能上楼看看吗 |
[19:30] | I’ll be out of your way in a minute. | 我马上就走 |
[19:31] | There’s no hurry. Wait till they come down. | 不着急 等她们下来再说 |
[19:34] | How was your meeting? | 你的会面怎么样 |
[19:37] | Exhilarating and, | 我很兴奋 |
[19:39] | rather unexpected. | 也很意外 |
[19:41] | Well? | 怎么说 |
[19:43] | He’s publishing my story, | 他会出版我的故事 |
[19:44] | and he wants me to write an article. | 还想让我再写一篇文章 |
[19:46] | Hurrah! | 太好了 |
[19:48] | – The pay isn’t much. – But it’s your dream. | -稿费不多 -但你梦想成真了 |
[19:51] | This is wonderful news. | 真是个好消息 |
[19:52] | May I know this wonderful news? | 我能知道是什么好消息吗 |
[19:54] | You’ll be thrilled. | 你一定会很惊喜 |
[19:55] | I haven’t been thrilled since 1865. | 1865年后就没有什么能给我惊喜了 |
[19:58] | A Mr. Fortune, the editor of “The New York Globe,” | 福琼先生 《纽约环球报》的编辑 |
[20:00] | is going to publish one of my stories– | 准备发表我的一篇故事 |
[20:03] | “Alone in the City.” | 《都市独行》 |
[20:05] | What’s it about? | 讲的是什么 |
[20:07] | A young colored woman living on the Upper East Side. | 一位住在纽约上东区的年轻黑人女孩的故事 |
[20:10] | It’s about you, in other words. | 也就是你自己的故事 |
[20:11] | All writers write about themselves, | 所有作家写的都是他们自己 |
[20:13] | at least at the start. | 至少刚开始写作时是这样 |
[20:14] | But Mr. Fortune wants my next article | 但福琼先生希望我的下一篇文章 |
[20:17] | to be more political. | 能多谈谈政治 |
[20:18] | Just make sure that if you do, | 只要确保不让我知道 |
[20:20] | I never find out. | 你怎么写都行 |
[20:22] | Mr. Fortune sounds an improvement | 福琼先生貌似比《基督教倡导者》的 |
[20:24] | on Mr. Carlton at “The Advocate.” | 卡尔顿先生要好些 |
[20:27] | When will you tell your parents? | 你打算什么时候告诉你父母 |
[20:29] | With Mrs. Van Rhijn’s permission, | 如果范莱茵夫人同意的话 |
[20:30] | I mean to go on Friday. | 我打算周五去见我父母 |
[20:32] | Of course you have my permission. | 你当然可以去 |
[20:33] | You’ll make them very proud. | 他们会为你骄傲 |
[20:35] | But only tell them about the story. | 但只告诉他们发表文章的事就行 |
[20:38] | They won’t want trouble any more than I do. | 他们肯定与我一样 不想要更多的麻烦 |
[20:54] | My goodness. | 天哪 |
[20:56] | How splendid. | 真是富丽堂皇 |
[20:59] | I have been transported to Versailles. | 我穿越到凡尔赛了 |
[21:12] | Are there surprises here, too? | 这里也有什么惊喜吗 |
[21:15] | No, no. Nothing important. | 不 没什么大不了的 |
[21:17] | Please, I’d like to hear. | 请讲 我洗耳恭听 |
[21:21] | I would not lay the fruit knife and fork. | 我不会提前摆出水果刀叉 |
[21:24] | They arrive with the fruit plate | 它们会和果盘以及洗指碗 |
[21:26] | and the finger bowl. | 一起奉上 |
[21:29] | The pudding spoon and fork would not be above the place, | 布丁的勺子和叉子 不会摆在盘子上方 |
[21:33] | but here. | 而是两侧 |
[21:36] | What is this? It seems to have got lost. | 这是什么 它看上去像走丢了一样 |
[21:40] | It’s an oyster fork. It sits on its own spoon. | 这是一把牡蛎叉 放在吃牡蛎用的勺子上 |
[21:42] | Does it indeed? | 是这样吗 |
[21:44] | Fancy that. | 真高级 |
[21:46] | And colored glasses– how festive. | 还有彩色的杯子 真喜庆 |
[21:49] | Do you not use colored glasses? | 你们不使用彩色的杯子吗 |
[21:50] | No. | 不用 |
[21:51] | A-and we set them in a square, the English way, not in a line. | 而且我们按英国习惯摆成方形 而不是一排 |
[21:56] | I wonder they don’t find themselves | 不知他们是否会发现自己 |
[21:57] | drinking their neighbor’s wine. | 喝了旁边人的酒 |
[22:00] | But, of course, | 不过 当然了 |
[22:01] | there’s no right or wrong about these things. | 这类事情没有什么对和错 |
[22:04] | They’re simply a matter of taste. | 只是品味的问题 |
[22:06] | And Mrs. Van Rhijn’s taste is not the same | 而范莱茵夫人的品味 |
[22:09] | – as Mrs. Russell’s. – So it would appear. | -与罗素夫人的不一样 -看来是这样 |
[22:12] | Oh, I’m afraid I should collect the dog | 恐怕我得接上狗 |
[22:14] | and get back. | 回去了 |
[22:16] | Oh, but thank you, Mr. Church. | 不过要谢谢你 丘奇先生 |
[22:18] | It is always so very interesting | 了解不同的人 |
[22:20] | to learn how different people manage things. | 如何打理事情总是非常有意思 |
[22:27] | You’ll squeeze that dog to death. | 你要把狗勒死了 |
[22:29] | Oh, I just want to cuddle him | 我就是想疼疼它 |
[22:30] | and cuddle him and never let him go. | 再疼疼它 永不放手 |
[22:32] | I should watch out. He’ll take off again. | 我得看着点 它又要跑了 |
[22:35] | – I would. – Don’t say so. | -换了我就会 -别这么说 |
[22:37] | Aurora Fane has invited you to the Academy of Music. | 奥萝拉·费恩邀请你去音乐学院 |
[22:41] | You will hear John Knowles Paine | 你会听到约翰·诺尔斯·佩因 |
[22:42] | conduct the Boston Symphony Orchestra. | 指挥波士顿交响乐团 |
[22:45] | It is raising money for your Miss Barton. | 是为你那位巴顿小姐筹集善款 |
[22:47] | – When is it? – Friday. | -什么时间 -周五 |
[22:49] | Aurora will collect you on her way. | 奥萝拉会顺路来接你 |
[22:52] | That sounds fun. Will you come? | 听着很有趣 你去吗 |
[22:54] | I’d rather be put to death. | 那还不如杀了我呢 |
[22:56] | Don’t you approve of the Academy? | 你不是很欣赏学院吗 |
[22:58] | I do, and I can manage opera as long as I can talk, | 是的 只要我能讲话我也能对付着听歌剧 |
[23:01] | but sitting through a symphony is beyond me. | 但坐着听一部交响乐就太难为我了 |
[23:04] | This has just been delivered for Miss Marian. | 这是刚刚送来给玛丽安小姐的 |
[23:29] | Is there no letter? | 没有信吗 |
[23:31] | Do you know whom it is from? | 你知道是谁送的吗 |
[23:34] | – Yes. – An admirer? | -知道 -是个仰慕者 |
[23:38] | Not in that way. | 不是那种仰慕 |
[23:39] | Marian, I cannot have an object in the house | 玛丽安 如果我不知道这东西的出处 |
[23:41] | if I’m not allowed to know its provenance. | 我不能把它摆在家里 |
[23:45] | Well, I won’t tell you who sent it, | 我不会告诉你这是谁送的 |
[23:48] | and so I will return it. | 所以我就把它退回去吧 |
[23:51] | That is reasonable, surely. | 那样非常合理 |
[23:52] | It seems the very opposite of reasonable to me. | 我觉得这非常不合理啊 |
[23:55] | Marian, you would never entertain advances | 玛丽安 你不会去和 |
[23:58] | from someone whom I might not consider suitable? | 我不认可的人来往交际吧 |
[24:00] | “Entertain advances”? | “来往交际” |
[24:01] | That sounds like a dance step in the gavotte. | 听着好像是加伏特舞的舞步啊 |
[24:03] | I must have your word. | 我必须听到你的保证 |
[24:05] | Aunt Agnes, I cannot make vague promises | 艾格妮丝姑姑 对于未知的未来中 |
[24:07] | about unforeseeable circumstances | 无法预知的情况 |
[24:09] | in an unknown future. | 我无法给出模糊的保证 |
[24:17] | We don’t know her at all, of course. | 当然 我们根本不了解她 |
[24:19] | We know she’s a kind person, Agnes. | 我们知道她是个善良的人 艾格妮丝 |
[24:22] | And I do not believe she would ever do | 我不相信她会做任何 |
[24:23] | anything self-destructive. | 自毁前程的事 |
[24:25] | “Self-destructive”? | “自毁前程” |
[24:26] | You’ve been reading those German books again. | 你又在看那些德国书了吧 |
[24:29] | I’ve warned you before, | 我之前警告过你 |
[24:30] | just stick to Louisa May Alcott. | 你就看路易莎·梅·奥尔科特的书就好了 |
[24:33] | Have you decided whether or not | 你是否决定了 |
[24:34] | – I’m to have a new governess? – Not yet. | -要给我找个新家庭教师吗 -还没有 |
[24:36] | It’s absurd. | 太荒唐了 |
[24:38] | Father? | 父亲 |
[24:39] | Couldn’t she have a maid instead? | 不能给她找个女佣吗 |
[24:41] | She has a maid. | 她有女佣啊 |
[24:42] | I mean a real lady’s maid | 我是说贴身女仆 |
[24:43] | that could accompany her when she goes out. | 在她出门时可以陪同她的那种 |
[24:44] | Although why that’s considered necessary beats me. | 不过我无法理解为什么需要那样 |
[24:47] | I hope neither of you children | 希望你们两个孩子 |
[24:48] | want a favor from us anytime soon. | 最近没有什么事有求于我们 |
[24:51] | I had a letter from Mrs. Fane today. | 我今天收到费恩夫人的一封信 |
[24:52] | She means to call on me. | 她打算来拜访我 |
[24:54] | I wondered if you knew why. | 不知你是否知道为什么 |
[24:56] | Perhaps she needs your help with a charity. | 也许她需要你捐助慈善活动吧 |
[24:58] | Maybe it’s the business of building a new opera house. | 也许是建新歌剧院的事 |
[25:00] | She won’t be in favor of that. | 她不会支持那个 |
[25:01] | She will be on the side of the Academy. | 她会站在音乐学院那边 |
[25:03] | I’m sure she has a hundred causes you could help with. | 我相信她有很多事情你都能帮上忙 |
[25:05] | I hope it’s not to be a repetition of Mrs. Morris’ visit. | 我希望不会是莫里斯夫人来访的翻版 |
[25:08] | Will she beg and plead for you to be merciful? | 她会来恳请乞求你发发善心吗 |
[25:10] | No, that’s all done with. | 不会 那个已经解决了 |
[25:12] | Charles Fane has come through it. | 查尔斯·费恩已经渡过难关了 |
[25:14] | Well, I’ll see her, I suppose. | 那我就见见她吧 |
[25:16] | There was a time when you would’ve run | 想当初如果你觉得费恩夫人 |
[25:17] | a red carpet to the edge of the sidewalk | 可能会来访 |
[25:19] | if you thought Mrs. Charles Fane | 你可是会把红地毯 |
[25:20] | – might pay you a visit. – I’m stronger now than I was. | -一直铺到马路上 -我比之前更坚强了 |
[25:24] | Thank you, Church. I think we’re done with this. | 谢谢了 丘奇 我想我们用完了 |
[25:30] | I saw Oscar van Rhijn today. | 我今天看见奥斯卡·范莱茵了 |
[25:32] | He was fishing for a dinner invitation. | 他想让我们邀请他来吃晚饭 |
[25:34] | You wouldn’t mind, would you? | 你不会介意吧 |
[25:35] | He refused our invitations | 我和市参议员们起争执时 |
[25:37] | when I was in trouble with the aldermen. | 他拒绝了我们的邀请 |
[25:38] | Then perhaps his renewed interest is a good sign. | 那也许他重新焕发的兴趣是个好信号 |
[25:41] | Because it means that word on the street | 因为那就意味着大家都认为 |
[25:42] | is that I’ve triumphed? | 我胜利了吗 |
[25:44] | Do you think he’s after Gladys? | 你觉得他是在追求格拉迪斯吗 |
[25:47] | I rather hope not, if I’m honest. | 说实话 但愿不是这样 |
[25:49] | Why? | 为什么 |
[25:49] | He has a decent position and a bit of money. | 他有不错的社会地位 还有一些钱 |
[25:52] | And he’s clever. | 他人也聪明 |
[25:53] | But is he just looking for an heiress? | 但他是否只是想找个女继承人呢 |
[25:55] | What’s wrong with soup at any time? | 哪顿饭喝汤有问题吗 |
[25:58] | I’m sure I don’t know, Mr. Baudin. | 我肯定是不明白 博丹先生 |
[26:00] | And you lay the table as you’ve always laid the table. | 而且你一向都是那样摆放餐具 |
[26:03] | True, but I did not know there were such differences | 没错 可我不知道英国和美国的传统 |
[26:05] | between English customs and American. | 有如此差异 |
[26:07] | So what? You’re American. | 那又怎样 你是美国人 |
[26:08] | Mr. And Mrs. Russell are American. | 罗素先生和夫人也是美国人 |
[26:10] | Yes, but does Mrs. Astor follow the English way | 是没错 但阿斯特夫人用的是英式风格 |
[26:13] | or the American? | 还是美式风格呢 |
[26:15] | She won’t be coming to dine. | 她绝不会来这里用餐 |
[26:16] | Still, perhaps I should find out. | 无论如何 也许我该去调查一番 |
[26:19] | Well, all I know is, | 我只知道 |
[26:20] | whatever implement she may pick up to eat with, | 不管她是用哪种风格吃饭 |
[26:23] | the food in this house is cooked by a French chef, | 她在这个宅子吃到的食物出自法国厨师之手 |
[26:25] | and nothing can top that. | 没什么比得过这一点 |
[26:27] | Which brings us back to the chicken soup. | 这就又回到了鸡汤这个话题 |
[26:30] | I saw you set off for your walk, Mr. Watson, | 我看见你出门去散步了 沃森先生 |
[26:32] | but you seem a bit down in the dumps | 但是你回来以后似乎 |
[26:34] | since you got back. | 有点闷闷不乐 |
[26:35] | No, no. I think I’m just tired. | 没有 没有 我只是累了 |
[26:39] | I had a nice walk, as it happens. | 其实我散步散得很开心 |
[26:43] | That means the Master’s gone up already. | 看来主人们已经上楼去了 |
[26:44] | You better get a move on. | 你们赶紧去忙吧 |
[26:46] | You too, Miss Turner. | 你也是 特纳小姐 |
[26:52] | What’s the matter with you? | 你怎么回事 |
[26:54] | How do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[26:55] | You sound so angry all the time. | 你听起来总是气呼呼的 |
[26:58] | I’m wasting my life here. | 我在这里浪费生命 |
[27:00] | Then leave. Or change things. | 那就离开 或者改变现状 |
[27:03] | I’ll leave when I’m ready. | 我准备好以后会离开 |
[27:06] | But I may decide to change things. | 不过也许我会改变现状 |
[27:12] | – May I come in? – Of course. | -我可以进来吗 -当然可以 |
[27:18] | And now may I know who sent the beautiful carved box? | 现在你可以告诉我是谁送的木雕盒子了吗 |
[27:23] | Mrs. Chamberlain. | 是张伯伦夫人 |
[27:24] | Oh, dear. This is very bad. | 天啊 这太糟糕了 |
[27:26] | You understand why I wouldn’t tell. | 你明白我为什么没说出来了吧 |
[27:28] | If Agnes knew, we should none of us | 如果艾格妮丝知道了 我们所有人 |
[27:30] | have any sleep for a month. | 这个月都别指望睡安稳觉了 |
[27:31] | Also, she’d think we were friends, | 还有 她觉得我们是朋友 |
[27:33] | which we are not, really, although I do like her. | 其实我们并不是 不过我挺喜欢她的 |
[27:37] | That in itself makes me shudder. | 这件事太让我害怕了 |
[27:40] | I’ve told you Mrs. Chamberlain is in a class by herself. | 我告诉过你没人愿意跟张伯伦夫人来往 |
[27:44] | She is far worse than Mrs. Russell in every way. | 她从各方面来说都比罗素夫人差劲多了 |
[27:47] | To spend time in her company is to be contaminated. | 你要是跟她待在一起 就是玷污自己 |
[27:51] | – I’ll take it back tomorrow. – Do so. | -我明天就送回去 -一定照办 |
[27:52] | And hand it in at the door. | 而且要直接交给门房就好 |
[27:58] | But now I have another question. | 现在我还有另一个问题 |
[28:01] | Why would you not promise Aunt Agnes | 你为什么不愿意答应艾格妮丝姑姑 |
[28:03] | to marry someone suitable? | 嫁给一个合适的人 |
[28:05] | Dearest Aunt Ada, how could I… | 亲爱的艾达姑姑 我怎么答应 |
[28:08] | when someone who is suitable to me | 那个对我来说合适的人 |
[28:10] | may not be suitable to her? | 可能对她来说并不合适 |
[28:11] | But surely you intend to marry a gentleman? | 但是你肯定会想要嫁给一位绅士的吧 |
[28:15] | I will marry a gentle man. Is that enough? | 我会嫁给一位绅士 这么说够了吗 |
[28:18] | For me, maybe, but not for Agnes. | 对我来说也许够了 但艾格妮丝未必 |
[28:21] | Did you ever come close to marriage? | 你之前走到过婚姻的殿堂前吗 |
[28:26] | There was once someone | 曾经有一个 |
[28:28] | whom I was taken with. | 让我心仪的人 |
[28:31] | But he did not meet your grandfather’s high standards. | 但是他不符合你祖父的高标准 |
[28:33] | The point is, did he meet yours? | 关键是 他符合你的标准吗 |
[28:38] | I was very young. | 我那时很年轻 |
[28:40] | Do you think you should have married him anyway? | 你觉得自己应该不顾一切嫁给他吗 |
[28:42] | Do you think you would have been happier? | 你觉得那样你会比现在开心吗 |
[28:46] | That’s rather a cruel question. | 这真是个残忍的问题 |
[28:48] | I-I didn’t mean it to be. | 我不是那个意思 |
[28:49] | You think me a weaker person than Agnes, and maybe I am. | 你觉得我比艾格妮丝软弱 也许确实如此 |
[28:55] | But even I know that marrying beneath oneself | 但即便我这样的人也知道下嫁 |
[28:58] | is no guarantee of happiness. | 无法保证一定可以得到幸福 |
[29:02] | I am aware of that. | 这点我懂 |
[29:04] | And where does Mr. Raikes stand in all this? | 雷克斯先生在这件事里扮演什么角色 |
[29:07] | You know Agnes thought he sent you the carving? | 你知道艾格妮丝以为是他送的木雕盒 |
[29:10] | I wish she hadn’t taken against him. | 我真希望她不是这么讨厌他 |
[29:13] | I’d hate for us to fall out. | 我不希望我们之间翻脸 |
[29:16] | Just don’t plunge in without thinking. | 别不过脑子一头栽进去就行 |
[29:20] | I will try to be your friend, whatever comes. | 我会试着当你的朋友 不管结果如何 |
[29:24] | But it’ll be simpler if you can find your beloved | 但是如果你爱的人在麦卡利斯特400人名单中 |
[29:24] | 沃德·麦卡利斯特 制定了19世纪镀金年代纽约上流社会名录 | |
[29:27] | among Mr. McAllister’s 400. | 事情就简单多了 |
[29:31] | And now good night. | 晚安吧 |
[29:35] | Good night. | 晚安 |
[30:08] | I thought you’d come. | 我就知道你会来 |
[30:11] | And I see you’ve brought the box back. | 我看到你把盒子送回来了 |
[30:13] | Was that on Mrs. Van Rhijn’s orders? | 这是遵照范莱茵夫人的指示吗 |
[30:16] | Not quite, but… | 并不是 不过… |
[30:18] | she said that if I wouldn’t tell her who’d given it to me, | 她说如果我不说出来是谁送给我的 |
[30:20] | then I couldn’t keep it. | 那我就不能留下 |
[30:21] | I shall always regard it as yours. | 我就权当它属于你了 |
[30:24] | – Now, what can I offer you? – Nothing, thank you. | -你想喝点什么 -不用了 谢谢 |
[30:28] | But I’m admiring your pictures. | 我正在欣赏你的画 |
[30:31] | Come into the gallery. They’re better there. | 到画廊来看吧 那边的作品更好 |
[30:39] | This is one of the first paintings | 这是我们最早一起购买的 |
[30:41] | we bought together– | 画作之一 |
[30:43] | an early Corot, of the forest at Fontainebleau. | 科罗的早期作品 《枫丹白露森林》 |
[30:47] | It’s lovely. | 真美 |
[30:49] | Did you inherit a collection? Or did Mr. Chamberlain? | 你继承了画作藏品吗 还是张伯伦先生继承的 |
[30:52] | Oh, no. | 不 |
[30:53] | We’re what your aunt would call “new people.” | 我们是你姑姑口中的”新贵” |
[30:57] | But my husband had something better than birth. | 但是我丈夫拥有比出身更好的东西 |
[31:01] | – What was that? – Luck. | -是什么 -运气 |
[31:03] | Right from the start. | 从一开始就这样 |
[31:04] | Where did he start? | 他从哪里起家的 |
[31:06] | In Keweenaw County in Michigan. | 密歇根的基维诺县 |
[31:09] | He was there when they sank | 1845年克里夫铜矿 |
[31:10] | the Cliff copper mines in 1845. | 开始开采时他就在那里 |
[31:13] | How did you meet? | 你们怎么认识的 |
[31:15] | Why do you ask that? | 你为什么这么问 |
[31:17] | I don’t know. I– No reason. | 我不知道 没什么原因 |
[31:20] | I’ll ask another question. | 我问个别的问题吧 |
[31:22] | Did you build the collection together? | 你们两个一起收集的藏品吗 |
[31:23] | Mr. Chamberlain was a widower when he married me. | 张伯伦先生娶我时是个鳏夫 |
[31:27] | He and his first wife did not fully understand | 他和他的第一任妻子并不完全了解 |
[31:30] | the power that money had put into their hands. | 手里的金钱赋予了他们多大的权利 |
[31:33] | I showed him. | 我让他懂了 |
[31:34] | So you taught him how to live. | 你教他如何生活 |
[31:36] | And we had a wonderful life together. | 我们也一起度过了美好时光 |
[31:41] | I miss him very much. | 我很想他 |
[31:44] | And your son, does he live here? | 你的儿子也住在这里吗 |
[31:46] | Oh, no, he– he grew tired of New York. | 不 他受够了纽约 |
[31:49] | He lives in Chicago. | 他住在芝加哥 |
[31:52] | I must go. | 我得走了 |
[31:54] | But thank you for showing me your treasures. | 但谢谢你分享藏画 |
[31:57] | You must return, and I’ll show you more. | 下次再来 我还有别的画分享 |
[31:59] | Besides, you will need to visit your carving. | 而且你还得看看你的木雕盒 |
[32:06] | But why? You and Mrs. Morris have made it clear | 为什么 你和莫里斯夫人都挑明了 |
[32:09] | that you are only interested in my checkbook | 只对我的钱有兴趣 |
[32:11] | and not very interested in that. | 对其他不感兴趣 |
[32:13] | Have you seen Mrs. Morris? | 你见过莫里斯夫人吗 |
[32:15] | Not since the death of her husband. | 她丧夫之后我就没见过了 |
[32:17] | – A sad business. – Yes. | -真是不幸 -是啊 |
[32:21] | – May we have some coffee? – Yes, ma’am. | -来点咖啡吧 -是 夫人 |
[32:27] | Mr. Russell has been very generous to us. | 罗素先生对我们很慷慨 |
[32:29] | Has he? | 是吗 |
[32:30] | He helped us through a very difficult time. | 他帮助我们渡过难关 |
[32:33] | And you want to return the favor. | 你想回报他吗 |
[32:34] | If I can. | 我会尽我所能 |
[32:36] | How would you suggest we begin? | 你打算第一步做什么 |
[32:39] | I’ve thought about this. | 我想过了 |
[32:41] | I believe the best way would be to invite you | 我觉得最好的办法是邀请你 |
[32:42] | to luncheon with Mr. McAllister. | 和麦卡利斯特先生共进晚餐 |
[32:44] | – Ward McAllister? – That’s it. | -沃德·麦卡利斯特吗 -没错 |
[32:46] | He’s a sort of henchman to Mrs. Astor. | 他是阿斯特夫人的心腹 |
[32:48] | He helps her in her work of shaping society. | 他帮住她打造上流社会 |
[32:52] | And Mrs. Astor takes his advice? | 阿斯特夫人会听取他的意见吗 |
[32:54] | I don’t know that she ever takes advice exactly, | 我不确定她是否听取他的建议 |
[32:56] | but she allows him to help her. | 但她让他帮助她 |
[32:58] | He is her amanuensis. | 他是她的秘书 |
[33:00] | I’m to lunch with Mr. McAllister | 我可以与麦卡利斯特先生共进午餐 |
[33:01] | but not with Mrs. Astor? | 但不能与阿斯特夫人一起吃吗 |
[33:02] | I’m afraid she always wants a list of her fellow guests | 她一向有自己的宾客名单 |
[33:05] | and seldom agrees to sit at a table with strangers. | 并且很少和陌生人同桌 |
[33:08] | – Especially strangers like me. – That’s not true. | -尤其是我这种人 -不是这样 |
[33:10] | She does let new people in. | 她也会让新人加入 |
[33:12] | She has to, or they’ll forge an alternative society | 她必须这么做 不然对方就会结党 |
[33:14] | and keep her and the old crowd out. | 把她和旧团体排除在外 |
[33:16] | Won’t they anyway? | 这难道不是必然的吗 |
[33:18] | Probably, but not in her time. | 或许吧 但不会在她活着的时候 |
[33:21] | How can you be sure | 你怎么能确定 |
[33:21] | that Mr. McAllister will want to meet me? | 麦卡利斯特先生愿意见我 |
[33:24] | He’s dying to see this house. | 他很想看看这房子 |
[33:26] | It’s one of the only palaces on the avenue | 这是第五大道上唯一一栋 |
[33:27] | he’s never been inside. | 他没有参观过的房子 |
[33:29] | And… | 而且… |
[33:31] | – And? – He loves money. | -什么 -他很贪财 |
[33:36] | Will you tell your circle | 你会告诉你圈子的人 |
[33:37] | of this labor you’ve undertaken? | 关于这件事吗 |
[33:39] | I’ll tell them we’re friends now. | 我会告诉他们我们现在是朋友 |
[33:40] | And to that end, I wonder if you’d join me | 因此我想邀请你一起参加 |
[33:43] | for a concert on Friday. | 周五的音乐会 |
[33:45] | – At the Academy of Music? – Of course. | -在音乐学院吗 -当然 |
[33:47] | Well, I have said before now | 我曾经说过 |
[33:49] | that I must begin somewhere. | 自己总得迈出第一步 |
[33:54] | We keep bumping into Jay Gould | 无论我们去哪 干什么 |
[33:54] | 美国铁路公司总经理 投机者 靠肆无忌惮的掠夺而致富的”强盗大亨” | |
[33:55] | wherever we go and whatever we do. | 总是遇到杰伊·古尔德 |
[33:57] | Now he’s got the Missouri Pacific, | 他掌管密苏里太平洋铁路 |
[33:58] | we can’t avoid him. | 你当然避不开他 |
[34:00] | I’m told he has 15% of all the track | 我听说他掌控 |
[34:01] | in the United States. | 全国15%的铁路 |
[34:03] | Is it time to approach Morgan? | 该去找摩根了吗 |
[34:05] | If you dine with J.P. Morgan, you should use a long spoon. | 如果你要和JP摩根打交道 你该更小心谨慎 |
[34:09] | Did you see the news from Russia? | 你听说沙俄的事情了吗 |
[34:11] | The accident at Tcherny, you mean. | 你是指切尼的火车事故 |
[34:12] | More than 150 dead– men, women, and children. | 超过150名男女老少丧身 |
[34:15] | How terrible. | 真可怕 |
[34:17] | Then there was the crash at Spuyten Duyvil | 还有在斯派特代夫尔的撞车 |
[34:19] | and, after that, one at Little Silver. | 以及小西尔弗的事故 |
[34:21] | Well, we certainly take safety very seriously | 我们公司绝对非常 |
[34:23] | – in this company. – Maybe. | -注重安全 -也许吧 |
[34:25] | But I’d like some more insurance just in case. | 我只是想多些保障以防万一 |
[34:27] | What if you got behind a charity | 不如你去赞助救灾的 |
[34:28] | that deals in disasters? | 慈善团体吧 |
[34:30] | – Go on. – Yes. | -继续说 -好啊 |
[34:32] | If nothing ever happens, | 在平时无事的时候 |
[34:33] | we’d be a benevolent force in society. | 我们能成为社会上的仁善标杆 |
[34:35] | And if there is trouble, we’d get help at once | 如果发生事故 我们也能立刻协助 |
[34:38] | and offset any charge | 堵住那些 |
[34:39] | of not caring for our passengers. | 说我们不顾乘客安危的人的嘴 |
[34:41] | As it happens, Mrs. Fane wants me to go | 碰巧费恩夫人想让我参加 |
[34:43] | to a concert on Friday in aid of the Red Cross. | 本周五赞助红十字会的音乐会 |
[34:46] | Tell me about the Red Cross. | 跟我说说红十字会的事 |
[34:47] | Well, a woman called Barton wants to established branches | 一位叫巴顿的女士想在美国建立 |
[34:50] | all over America | 红十字会分会 |
[34:51] | to give help to people caught in a disaster. | 帮助受灾的人 |
[34:53] | – Does she need money? – Very much so. | -她需要钱吗 -非常需要 |
[34:55] | So far, she’s only managed to open one branch– | 目前她只成立了一支分会 |
[34:56] | at Dansville in Upstate New York. | 在纽约州北部的丹斯维尔 |
[34:59] | Then you must go. | 那你必须得去 |
[35:00] | I’d like to see you on the board. | 我期待你加入董事会 |
[35:01] | I’ll never be on that board. | 我绝对进不了那个董事会 |
[35:03] | One of her main patrons is Anne Morris. | 安妮·莫里斯是她的主要赞助人 |
[35:05] | You are more than a match for Anne Morris, my dear. | 亲爱的 你可比安妮·莫里斯强多了 |
[35:08] | You’ll find a way. | 你会找到办法的 |
[35:12] | She still won’t invite them here? | 她还是不愿意请他们来吗 |
[35:14] | Why does it matter, when you go there freely? | 这有什么关系 反正你能随意进出那里 |
[35:16] | But I don’t, not anymore. They’ve dropped me. | 现在不行了 他们甩了我 |
[35:19] | Do you know why? | 你知道为什么吗 |
[35:20] | – I blame Patrick Morris. – Poor man. | -都怪帕特里克·莫里斯 -可怜人 |
[35:23] | He told me that Russell was finished. | 他说罗素先生完蛋了 |
[35:24] | Everyone thought so, and I believed them. | 所有人都这么说 我就信了 |
[35:27] | So it was you who dropped them, | 所以是你先甩了他们 |
[35:28] | not the other way around. | 而不是他们甩你 |
[35:30] | Now I’m on their side. | 现在我同情他们了 |
[35:31] | I must get back into that house. | 我必须得回到那所房子 |
[35:34] | Does this have anything to do with Miss Russell? | 这跟罗素小姐有关吗 |
[35:37] | Well, I’ve made my delivery. | 我把东西送去了 |
[35:39] | I hope you didn’t speak to her. | 希望你没有跟她说话 |
[35:41] | What’s this? | 什么事 |
[35:42] | Marian had to leave something for Mrs. Chamberlain. | 玛丽安得给张伯伦夫人送东西 |
[35:46] | – But don’t tell. – Heavens. | -别说出去 -天啊 |
[35:50] | – What was the house like? – Very grand. | -她的房子怎么样 -富丽堂皇 |
[35:52] | And the pictures are simply fabulous. | 他们的画作太美了 |
[35:54] | One of them had very good taste. | 他们夫妇有人的品味非常好 |
[35:55] | She had the taste, the looks, and the brains. | 张伯伦夫人有品位 相貌美 又聪明 |
[35:58] | He had the money. | 而张伯伦先生有钱 |
[35:59] | Rather sharp for you, Aunt Ada. | 一针见血 艾达姨妈 |
[36:00] | We shall have to stop talking about her when Mama comes in. | 我们得在妈妈进来前停止讨论 |
[36:03] | What precisely has she done wrong? | 张伯伦夫人到底做错了什么 |
[36:05] | She lived in sin for years with old Chamberlain | 她与张伯伦先生偷情了好几年 |
[36:08] | until his long-suffering wife finally died. | 直到饱受痛苦的原配终于去世 |
[36:10] | Then he brought her to New York, | 然后张伯伦将她带到纽约 |
[36:12] | and they pretended they’d only just met. | 假装他们在那相识 |
[36:14] | I thought she was married before? | 我以为她以前结婚过 |
[36:15] | Hmm, she says that to explain the boy. | 她这么说只是为了解释儿子的出身 |
[36:18] | – Her son? – The son of them both. | -她儿子吗 -他们两人的儿子 |
[36:20] | She only says her husband adopted him | 她说她丈夫收养了她儿子 |
[36:22] | for the look of the thing. | 只是为了面子好看 |
[36:23] | He is the spitting image of Chamberlain, for a start. | 小孩跟张伯伦长得一模一样 |
[36:26] | Is that why he lives in Chicago? | 所以这孩子才住在芝加哥吗 |
[36:28] | He must have got tired of people whispering | 他一定是厌烦了 每次一走进房间 |
[36:29] | behind their hands every time he walked into a room. | 都有人在窃窃私语 |
[36:31] | – Aunt Ada, is this true? – People think it’s true. | -艾达姑姑 是真的吗 -大家觉得是真的 |
[36:34] | What do people think is true? | 大家觉得什么是真的 |
[36:36] | That they’re opening the East River Bridge next year. | 觉得东河大桥明年就会开放 |
[36:39] | Hmm, and about time, too. | 总算要开放了 |
[36:41] | What a difference it will make | 这样到布鲁克林 |
[36:42] | with the journey to Brooklyn. | 就方便多了 |
[36:44] | Why would you want to go to Brooklyn? | 你为什么想去布鲁克林 |
[36:45] | As a matter of fact, I’m thinking | 其实 我想去拜访某人 |
[36:46] | of paying someone a surprise visit. | 给她一个惊喜 |
[36:49] | She may need cheering up. | 她可能不太开心 |
[36:50] | So should I if I lived in Brooklyn. | 我要是住在布鲁克林也不开心 |
[37:33] | Come in. | 进来 |
[37:39] | I shouldn’t have left you to finish up on your own. | 我不该丢下你 让你一个人收拾 |
[37:41] | Never mind that. It’s all done now. | 没关系 都处理好了 |
[37:58] | I never knew kindness till I came to this house. | 在我来到这里之前 从未有人对我表达善意 |
[38:03] | But I still can’t talk about it. | 但我还是无法说出口 |
[38:05] | Well, then you don’t have to. | 那就不说 |
[38:09] | There’s a part of me wants to tell. | 但我又有点希望能说出来 |
[38:13] | That’s the funny thing. | 真奇怪 |
[38:15] | I’d like to somehow get it out of me. | 我得想办法说出口 |
[38:19] | – Did your mother beat you? – It wasn’t that! | -你母亲打你吗 -不是因为这个 |
[38:25] | It was what she didn’t do. | 是因为她没做的事 |
[38:28] | She knew about things. | 她知道事情的真相 |
[38:32] | She did nothing to stop them. | 她却没有阻止 |
[38:35] | But if it wasn’t her, | 但如果不是她 |
[38:37] | then who was doing these things? | 那是谁对你做出这些事 |
[38:51] | Oh, my Lord. | 我的天啊 |
[38:56] | You poor darling girl. | 可怜的姑娘 |
[38:59] | Now you know why I hate her. | 你明白我为什么恨她了 |
[39:00] | But wasn’t he the one to blame? | 但不该怪另一个人吗 |
[39:02] | He was mad. | 他是个疯子 |
[39:06] | But she was evil. | 但她却是个恶魔 |
[39:09] | She sat downstairs and let it happen. | 她就坐在楼下 束手旁观 |
[39:33] | What are you– | 你在做… |
[39:36] | Bertha? | 贝莎 |
[39:42] | – How did you get in here? – Through the door. | -你怎么进来的 -开门进来的 |
[39:48] | – I don’t understand. – I think you do. | -我不明白你干什么 -你知道的 |
[39:55] | That is never going to happen. | 这是不可能 |
[39:57] | Really? I believe you’re lonely. | 真的吗 你一定很孤独 |
[39:59] | – No, I’m not. – I believe you need a woman | -我没有 -你一定需要一个女人 |
[40:02] | who will help you to become the finest | 帮你成为最好 |
[40:04] | and the best man that you can be. | 最优秀的人 |
[40:06] | I’ve already got one. | 我已经有这样的女人了 |
[40:08] | Be honest. | 说实话 |
[40:09] | Haven’t you ever wanted a woman who thinks only of you? | 你从来不想要一个视你为全部的女人吗 |
[40:13] | Mrs. Russell has many qualities, | 罗素夫人有许多品质 |
[40:16] | but she has her own campaign to wage in the world. | 但她要实现自己在这世上的理想 |
[40:18] | She has no time for yours. | 没有时间理会你 |
[40:21] | And you do? | 你就有吗 |
[40:22] | If you’ll let me… | 如果你允许… |
[40:25] | I can make a sanctuary for you, | 我会成为你的庇护所 |
[40:28] | a temple to your greatness. | 包容你雄伟功绩的圣庙 |
[40:31] | My greatness? | 我的雄伟功绩 |
[40:35] | The flaw in your argument is that I love my wife. | 你的说法有缺陷 那就是我爱我的妻子 |
[40:40] | I have no desire for a mistress, | 我不想要情妇 |
[40:42] | no wish for another helpmeet, | 更不要另一个”贤内助” |
[40:43] | no need for any sanctuary beyond this house. | 也不需要除了这个家之外的庇护所 |
[40:47] | So what is my punishment to be… | 那该怎么惩罚我呢… |
[40:51] | for falling in love with you? | 爱上你的处罚 |
[41:00] | Go back to your room now. | 立刻回到你的房间 |
[41:02] | Say nothing more… | 什么也别说… |
[41:05] | and we will never mention the subject again. | 也不要再跟我谈论这个话题 |
[41:13] | Why? | 为什么 |
[41:15] | My wife trusts you | 我妻子信任你 |
[41:18] | and holds you in high regard. | 并且非常尊敬你 |
[41:20] | She’s grateful for your guidance, | 她很感激你的指导 |
[41:22] | and I would not wish to spoil that for her | 我不希望因为你的错误决定 |
[41:25] | because of your misjudgment. | 让她扫兴 |
[41:27] | Now please go. | 请离开 |
[42:10] | I am at war with this crab. | 我简直在跟这只螃蟹作战 |
[42:13] | I think you should surrender. | 我想你该投降放弃 |
[42:16] | You think this is bad… | 你觉得这算行为不雅… |
[42:18] | You never ate with my Uncle William. | 那是你没与我叔叔威廉吃过饭 |
[42:20] | Oh, boy. | 天啊 |
[42:23] | He could make you lose your whole appetite. | 他能让人失去所有胃口 |
[42:26] | He’d take a fork full of eggs, | 他会用叉子叉满鸡蛋 |
[42:28] | then dip that same fork into the jelly. | 然后去同一把叉子去蘸果酱 |
[42:32] | I was always picking little bits of egg out of my jelly. | 我总得从果酱里挑出鸡蛋 |
[42:35] | Are you trying to ruin our luncheon? | 你是想毁掉我们的午餐吗 |
[42:37] | He ruined my breakfast for years. | 他毁了我好多年的早餐 |
[42:42] | What happened to him? | 他后来怎么样了 |
[42:46] | They, uh… | 他们… |
[42:49] | they sold him away before emancipation came. | 他们在黑奴解放前就把他卖了 |
[42:56] | God bless him. | 上帝祝福他 |
[43:01] | I almost forgot. | 我差点忘了 |
[43:02] | I ran into Mrs. Barber at church. | 我遇见巴伯夫人了 |
[43:04] | Her son Paul just graduated | 她儿子保罗 |
[43:06] | from Howard University’s medical department. | 刚从霍华德大学的医学部毕业 |
[43:09] | You remember Paul? | 你还记得保罗吗 |
[43:09] | Haven’t seen him since we were children. | 从孩童后就没再见过他了 |
[43:11] | Well, he’s back now, just like you. | 他现在回来了 跟你一样 |
[43:13] | I told her to expect a dinner invitation. | 我说让她等我的晚餐邀请 |
[43:16] | She was quite eager to tell Paul | 她很急切告诉保罗 |
[43:18] | – that you were home. – But I’m not really. | -你回家了 -但我其实没回来 |
[43:23] | You will join us for dinner, though? | 不过你会一起来吃晚餐吧 |
[43:25] | Mother, I don’t want to disappoint you on your birthday. | 母亲 我不想在你生日这天让你失望 |
[43:27] | They got you so busy over there, | 他们那边让你如此繁忙 |
[43:28] | you can’t have one evening with your family? | 你都没空抽出一晚跟家人吃晚饭吗 |
[43:31] | That is not what I said. | 我没这么说 |
[43:32] | She’s busy. That is better than being idle. | 她忙点 总比无所事事好 |
[43:34] | Busy doing what exactly? | 到底在忙什么 |
[43:36] | I’ve sold a story to “The New York Globe.” | 我已经卖给《纽约环球报》一篇文章了 |
[43:38] | That’s marvelous news. | 这真是好消息 |
[43:41] | Why didn’t you tell us sooner? | 你怎么不早说 |
[43:42] | We could have made this a double celebration. | 我们可以庆祝双喜临门 |
[43:45] | You should have tried them first. | 你应该先投稿给他们 |
[43:47] | I sent my work out to “The Globe” and “The Advocate” at the same time. | 我是同时把作品寄给了《环球报》和《倡导者》的 |
[43:49] | They’ll give you more opportunities | 他们会给你更多机会 |
[43:51] | than “The Advocate” would have done. | 比《倡导者》给的多 |
[43:52] | – I think they will. – But not much money. | -我想是的 -但没多少钱 |
[44:21] | Are you gonna quit working at that house? | 你会辞去在那家的工作吗 |
[44:23] | Of course not. I’ve only sold one story. | 当然不会 我只卖了一篇文章 |
[44:26] | Besides, I like it there. | 而且我喜欢那里 |
[44:28] | We must be pretty bad for you to choose | 我们肯定是糟透了 才会让你选择 |
[44:29] | to work two jobs and live like a servant, | 打两份工 还住得像仆人一样 |
[44:32] | when you can stay in your own home | 你明明可以住在自己家 |
[44:33] | and work in the drugstore with me. | 并跟我在药店工作 |
[44:34] | Father, it’s what I want to do. | 父亲 我就希望干这些 |
[44:36] | – Let’s not– – I own the pharmacy, | -我们别… -药店是我开的 |
[44:38] | which I planned to pass down to you. | 我也有意传给你 |
[44:39] | But, oh, no, we– | 但不 我们… |
[44:44] | Ellen. | 埃伦 |
[44:50] | Let’s toast Peggy’s success. | 我们为佩姬的成功举杯庆祝吧 |
[44:52] | She will be a published author. | 她就要成为作家了 |
[44:55] | It’s a fool’s errand, if you ask me. | 要我说这就是白费力气 |
[45:05] | May I help you? | 您有事吗 |
[45:08] | I’m here to see Miss Scott. | 我来见斯科特小姐 |
[45:12] | They’re at luncheon. | 他们在用午餐 |
[45:16] | Do you have a card? | 您有名片吗 |
[45:45] | – Who is it? – Miss Marian Brook. | -是谁 -玛丽安·布鲁克小姐 |
[45:48] | What? | 什么 |
[45:49] | – Did you invite her? – No, sir. | -你邀请她了吗 -没有 先生 |
[45:52] | Well, we can’t just leave her outside, | 我们不能让她在外面等着 |
[45:53] | show her into the parlor. | 请她去客厅 |
[46:08] | – Miss Brook. – I’m Marian Brook, Mrs. Scott. | -布鲁克小姐 -我是玛丽安·布鲁克 斯科特夫人 |
[46:11] | – What are you doing here? – I thought I’d surprise you. | -你来干什么 -我想着来给你个惊喜 |
[46:14] | You succeeded. | 那你成功了 |
[46:16] | Miss Brook is the niece of Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 布鲁克小姐是范莱茵夫人的侄女 |
[46:18] | – Why have you come? – What Mr. Scott means is– | -你来有何贵干 -斯科特先生的意思是 |
[46:22] | My daughter works for your aunt. | 我女儿为你姑姑工作 |
[46:24] | Why are you here uninvited? | 你为什么不请自来 |
[46:27] | Arthur. | 亚瑟 |
[46:29] | What’s in the bag? | 包里是什么 |
[46:31] | Oh, well, I– | 我… |
[46:33] | I wanted to bring something useful. | 我本想带点有用的物品来 |
[46:35] | But I’m not sure they will be very useful after all. | 但我现在不确定这些是否用得上 |
[46:40] | Can’t we see? | 我们能看看吗 |
[46:42] | If you’ve brought it all this way… | 如果你大老远拿来了 |
[47:01] | Old shoes? | 旧鞋吗 |
[47:05] | I thought… | 我以为… |
[47:12] | What did you think, Miss Brook? | 你以为什么 布鲁克小姐 |
[47:15] | That we would need cast-off shoes? | 我们需要二手鞋吗 |
[47:18] | I’m so sorry. | 真抱歉 |
[47:21] | I– | 我… |
[47:23] | She must have wondered if you knew of a charity | 她肯定是想问你是否认识哪个慈善机构 |
[47:25] | – that could use them. – That’s it. | -能用得上这些鞋 -没错 |
[47:27] | I hoped you’d have an idea of how they might do some good. | 我正盼望您能让这些旧鞋做些善事 |
[47:30] | But why bring them here, | 但为什么把鞋拿到这里来 |
[47:32] | when there are so many charities in Manhattan? | 曼哈顿不就有很多慈善机构吗 |
[47:39] | You’re right. | 您说得对 |
[47:42] | Miss Ellen, can you fetch my gloves, please? | 埃伦小姐 你帮我拿手套吗 |
[47:44] | But we haven’t had my birthday cake. | 但我们还没吃生日蛋糕 |
[47:47] | You’re welcome to join us, Miss Brook. | 你也可以一起来 布鲁克小姐 |
[47:49] | You’re very kind, Mrs. Scott. | 谢谢您的好意 斯科特夫人 |
[47:50] | Happy birthday and many happy returns. | 祝生日快乐 福寿无疆 |
[47:53] | Yes, Mother, many happy returns, but we’re going now. | 是的 母亲 祝福寿无疆 但我们要走了 |
[48:03] | Goodbye, Miss Ellen. | 再见 埃伦小姐 |
[48:11] | Well, we have certainly taken a step forward today. | 今天我们确实是往前进了一大步 |
[48:15] | Thank you for that. | 多谢你了 |
[48:17] | Dorothy… | 多萝茜 |
[48:20] | our responsibility is to raise a child | 我们的责任是抚养一个 |
[48:23] | with a sense of right and wrong. | 懂得是非对错的孩子 |
[48:27] | I cannot put that aside to play Happy Families. | 我不能不管这些 假扮幸福家庭 |
[48:30] | No. | 是不能 |
[48:31] | And it’s not a game we are very well equipped for, is it? | 这并不是我们擅长的游戏 对吧 |
[48:45] | What are you doing here? | 你来这里干什么 |
[48:47] | And the shoes– what was that? | 还有这些鞋 是什么意思 |
[48:49] | Because we’re colored, we must be poor? | 因为我们是黑人 就一定贫穷吗 |
[48:52] | – I loaned you train fare! – I made a stupid assumption. | -我还借过你车费 -我做了个愚蠢的假设 |
[48:55] | And you just showed up at my parents’ home. | 你还突兀地来到我父母家 |
[48:58] | What’s so wrong about that? | 这有什么错 |
[48:59] | My aunt lets you live at her house. | 我姑姑让你住在她家 |
[49:02] | Lets me? | 让我 |
[49:05] | – I work there. – I know– | -我在那工作 -我知道 |
[49:06] | No, you don’t know anything… | 不 你什么都不知道 |
[49:09] | about me, about my life, about my situation. | 关于我 我的生活 我的处境 |
[49:12] | I live in a different country from the one you know. | 我处在一个与你认知完全不同的世界 |
[49:17] | – Look, I’m sorry. – Don’t be sorry! | -听着 我很抱歉 -别抱歉 |
[49:21] | Just stop thinking you’re really my friend. | 只是别再以为你真的是我朋友 |
[49:42] | Heavens. What a vision. | 天呐 真是国色天香 |
[49:45] | The whole audience will be looking at you. | 所有观众都会关注你了 |
[49:47] | You are sweet. | 你嘴真甜 |
[49:49] | Is the carriage here yet? Turner said she thought so. | 马车来了吗 特纳说她觉得车到了 |
[49:52] | It is. | 来了 |
[49:54] | – Have I seen this cloak before? – I’m sure you have. | -我之前见过这个披风吗 -我确定你见过 |
[49:56] | But I must run. I’m terribly late as it is. | 但我得出发了 已经迟到太多了 |
[49:58] | And I don’t want to arrive after they’ve started. | 我不想在开场后才到 |
[50:20] | Miss Turner… | 特纳小姐 |
[50:23] | is something keeping you? | 你还有事吗 |
[51:15] | It’s a very good turnout. | 来了好多人 |
[51:16] | People do seem to believe in Miss Barton. | 大家似乎很看好巴顿小姐 |
[51:19] | Mr. Russell certainly believes in her | 罗素先生确实对她很有信心 |
[51:20] | and her Red Cross. | 还有她的红十字 |
[51:21] | He’d like me to be more involved. | 他希望我多多参与 |
[51:24] | That might serve our turn, | 如果处理得当 |
[51:25] | if we play it carefully. | 或许能如我们的愿 |
[51:27] | I must see to the others. | 我得去向别人问好了 |
[51:28] | Marian, please look after Mrs. Russell. | 玛丽安 请照顾好罗素夫人 |
[51:31] | Don’t worry about me. | 别担心我 |
[51:32] | I supposed you know plenty of people here. | 我猜你肯定认识这里的很多人 |
[51:33] | Not at all. | 并不是 |
[51:34] | But I’ve read about this so often in novels. | 但我经常在小说中读到这样的场景 |
[51:38] | I envy your fan. | 我真羡慕你有扇子 |
[51:40] | I wish I had one so I could cover my face | 我希望我也有一把 能遮住脸 |
[51:43] | and look fascinating. | 并看起来妩媚迷人 |
[51:45] | You look very fascinating to me. | 我觉得你现在就很妩媚迷人 |
[51:47] | – Mr. Raikes. – Hello, Miss Brook. | -雷克斯先生 -布鲁克小姐 |
[51:49] | Hello. | 你好 |
[51:51] | Do you know Mrs. George Russell? | 你认识乔治·罗素夫人吗 |
[51:52] | How do you do? | 你好 |
[51:53] | And Mr. And Mrs. Charles Fane. | 还有查尔斯·费恩夫妇 |
[51:56] | Who are you here with? | 你是和谁一起来的 |
[51:58] | Mrs. Henry Schermerhorn. She has the next box. | 亨利·舍默霍恩夫人 她就在隔壁包厢 |
[52:01] | Is this yours, Mrs. Russell? | 这个包厢是您的吗 罗素夫人 |
[52:02] | Oh, no, I don’t have one. | 不 我没有自己的 |
[52:04] | There’s a terrible waiting list. | 等候名单长得可怕 |
[52:06] | Especially for me. | 对我来说尤其长 |
[52:08] | Come, Mrs. Russell. | 来吧 罗素夫人 |
[52:09] | Let me introduce you to some of our friends. | 我带你去见见我们的一些朋友 |
[52:14] | Why are you here, really? | 你到底为什么来这里 |
[52:16] | My lady was in a high window, | 我的伊人身处高位 |
[52:18] | so I realized I needed a long ladder. | 所以我发现自己需要更长的梯子 |
[52:20] | – Be serious. – I mean it. | -认真点 -我是说真的 |
[52:23] | I know your aunts don’t think me suitable. | 我知道你的姑姑们认为我配不上你 |
[52:24] | So I’m striving to improve myself until they do. | 所以我在竭力证明自己 直到她们首肯 |
[52:27] | I’m ready to do anything you want. | 我准备好做任何你让我做的事 |
[52:29] | But how have you managed it? | 但你是怎么做到来这里的 |
[52:31] | Two years ago, I took a new course in property law | 两年前 我在宾州大学选了一门 |
[52:33] | at the University of Pennsylvania. | 财产法的新课 |
[52:35] | Gerry Schermerhorn was on the same one. | 杰瑞·舍默霍恩也选了那门课 |
[52:37] | Did you know he lived in New York? | 你当时就知道他住在纽约吗 |
[52:39] | I did, but we’d lost touch. | 是的 但之后我们各奔东西 |
[52:41] | But then one day, I was roller-skating | 后来有一天 我在中央公园旁的 |
[52:42] | at the rink next to Central Park, | 旱冰场溜冰 |
[52:44] | and we ran into each other, literally. | 我们撞到了彼此 毫不夸张 |
[52:47] | And you’re building on that? | 所以你打算攀他而上吗 |
[52:48] | I’m trying to. | 是这个想法 |
[52:49] | The way these people live here is quite amazing. | 这些人在这里的生活方式实在令人着迷 |
[52:51] | You’re enjoying yourself, then? | 那你过得很开心咯 |
[52:54] | More than I could have imagined. | 比我想象的要开心 |
[52:56] | But I haven’t got what I really want… | 但我还没得到自己真正想要的 |
[52:58] | not yet. | 暂时还没有 |
[52:59] | Perhaps you’re right, | 也许你说得对 |
[53:01] | and it’s time to call on us again. | 你该再来拜访我们了 |
[53:03] | Do you mean that? | 你是认真的吗 |
[53:05] | – Do you want me to call? – Well, I do. | -你想让我来吗 -我当然想 |
[53:11] | I have a question. | 我有个问题 |
[53:13] | What would you say to me if your aunts didn’t exist? | 如果你姑姑不存在 你会怎么回答我 |
[53:15] | You’re the second person to ask me that. | 你是第二个问我这个问题的人 |
[53:18] | – Who was the first? – Peggy Scott. | -谁是第一个 -佩姬·斯科特 |
[53:21] | Then I salute her. | 那我向她致敬 |
[53:23] | But we must try to win them over. | 可我们必须赢得她们的芳心 |
[53:25] | If we don’t, then all this will be lost to you. | 如果做不到 那你就会失去这一切 |
[53:29] | You do understand? | 你明白吗 |
[53:31] | I hope it doesn’t come to that, I admit. | 我承认 我希望不要发展到那一步 |
[53:33] | But if it does, I don’t care. | 但就算那样 我也不在乎 |
[53:36] | Not if I have you. | 只要我拥有你 |
[53:38] | Who has cornered my Mr. Raikes? | 是谁霸占了我的雷克斯先生 |
[53:41] | This is Miss Marian Brook, Mrs. Van Rhijn’s niece. | 这是玛丽安·布鲁克小姐 范莱茵夫人的侄女 |
[53:45] | Mrs. Henry Schermerhorn. | 这是亨利·舍默霍恩夫人 |
[53:46] | I’m delighted to meet you, Miss Brook. | 很高兴认识你 布鲁克小姐 |
[53:48] | But, Mr. Raikes, I must insist you rejoin my party. | 但雷克斯先生 我得让你回来了 |
[53:51] | I’ve promised you to Miranda Fife, | 我答应要给你介绍米兰达·法夫 |
[53:53] | and I never break my word. | 我从不食言 |
[53:55] | Of course. | 当然 |
[53:59] | Send me a message when you want to see me. | 你想见我时给我来信 |
[54:07] | Quite a man about town. | 真是个社交达人 |
[54:09] | And he’s done it in record time. | 而且还创下了最快纪录 |
[54:11] | – Who is he? – Thomas Raikes. | -他是谁 -托马斯·雷克斯 |
[54:14] | An old friend from Pennsylvania. | 宾州的故友 |
[54:16] | He seems very at home in New York. | 他似乎在纽约非常如鱼得水 |
[54:17] | I know. It’s quite astonishing, really. | 是啊 真令人诧异 |
[54:21] | When he first got here, he knew nobody, | 他刚来这里时 不认识任何人 |
[54:23] | and now he’s in a box at the Academy. | 现在竟然坐在学院的包厢里 |
[54:25] | You see, Mrs. Russell? It can be done. | 你瞧 罗素夫人 这可以做到 |
[54:28] | Does he have money, your Mr. Raikes? | 他有钱吗 你的雷克斯先生 |
[54:30] | I don’t think so. | 我想没有 |
[54:31] | Not what you would call money. | 至少对你来说那算不上什么钱 |
[54:33] | Pity, when he’s enjoying himself so much. | 可惜 他还这么尽兴 |
[54:36] | He may find it hard to keep up without it. | 之后他或许很难继续保持这种生活 |
[54:38] | Now for the third movement– | 第三乐章 |
[54:40] | “A Romance of Springtime,” how lovely. | 《春日浪漫》 真罗曼蒂克 |
[54:44] | What’s the matter, Marian? | 怎么了 玛丽安 |
[54:45] | – Don’t you like the sound of it? – I like it very much. | -你不喜欢吗 -我很喜欢 |
[54:54] | As long as there’s a happy ending. | 只要能有个幸福结局 |