时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:37] | I see it as a privilege, | 我认为这是一种荣幸 |
[01:39] | to be called upon to provide a new limb, | 能受邀为我们这个伟大的城市提供 |
[01:42] | a new lung, for this mighty city of ours. | 新的肢体和内脏 |
[01:52] | Together, gentlemen, we are taking a step forward | 先生们 我们携手一起向共同的未来 |
[01:55] | into our shared future, | 迈出了一步 |
[01:57] | helped by the new technology | 在新技术的帮助下 |
[02:00] | which makes what would have been | 那些对我们的父辈来说 |
[02:01] | quite impossible for our parents | 不可能的事 |
[02:04] | only too possible for us and for our children. | 对我们和后代来说却完全可能 |
[02:07] | This is a great day for New York, | 今天对纽约来说是个重要的日子 |
[02:10] | one that should, and will, | 它应该 也将会 |
[02:12] | shed glory on every man in this room. | 为在座的所有人带来荣耀 |
[02:15] | I thank you for your support. | 谢谢大家的支持 |
[02:21] | Mr. White. | 怀特先生 |
[02:24] | Ladies and gentlemen, I give you | 女士们先生们 由我向你们展示 |
[02:26] | Union Central Station. | 联合中央车站 |
[02:41] | – Congratulations. – Oh, thank you. | -恭喜 -谢谢 |
[02:44] | – Bravo. – Amazing. | -好 -真棒 |
[02:46] | Well done. | 干得漂亮 |
[02:53] | Thank you, thank you. | 谢谢 谢谢 |
[02:56] | I’d like to see that. Should I… | 我想看看那个 我可以… |
[02:57] | – Thank you. – I told him… | -谢谢你 -我告诉过他… |
[02:59] | Gentlemen, thank you for coming… | 先生们 谢谢你们光临 |
[03:01] | Are you sure this is the right moment? | 你确定现在合适吗 |
[03:02] | I won’t get a better one, | 没有比这更合适的时候了 |
[03:03] | after the reception he’s had here. | 招待会结束之后我就去说 |
[03:05] | I hope you’re right. | 但愿你是对的 |
[03:06] | Congratulations, Mr. White. | 恭喜你 怀特先生 |
[03:08] | They like your work quite as much as I do. | 他们跟我一样喜欢你的作品 |
[03:10] | Congratulations to both of you. | 恭喜你们两位 |
[03:13] | He’s done a wonderful job, hasn’t he, Father? | 他的设计很出色 对吗 父亲 |
[03:14] | – Wonderful. – I find it very inspiring. | -很出色 -我大受鼓舞 |
[03:17] | Architecture, I mean. | 我是指建筑设计 |
[03:19] | That’s why I’d like to be an architect. | 所以我也想成为一位建筑师 |
[03:25] | I don’t understand you. What? | 我没听明白 什么 |
[03:27] | He wants to study architecture. | 他想学建筑 |
[03:29] | And, of course, I’d be only too happy to help him. | 而且当然 我很乐意帮助他 |
[03:33] | Where has this come from? | 你怎么会想到要做建筑师的 |
[03:34] | I’ve been trying to tell you for some time. | 我一直想找时间告诉你 |
[03:35] | No, you haven’t. | 不 你没有 |
[03:37] | Well, I’ve wanted to tell you. | 我一直想告诉你 |
[03:39] | But you have a job. | 但你已经有工作了 |
[03:41] | – Here, with me. – I know. But– | -在这里帮我 -我知道 不过… |
[03:43] | Mr. Russell, I think that Larry just wants | 罗素先生 我觉得拉里只是想 |
[03:45] | to learn about the principles of architecture. | 了解些建筑原理 |
[03:48] | After three or four years, he could then employ his skills | 三四年之后 他就可以运用这些技术来 |
[03:51] | in the management of your business interests. | 管理您的生意 |
[03:53] | – Is that what you want? – No. | -你是这样想的吗 -不是 |
[03:55] | I want to be an architect. | 我想做建筑师 |
[03:57] | You see, Mr. White? | 你看 怀特先生 |
[03:58] | My son disdains your peacemaking compromise. | 我儿子看不上你这种息事宁人的折中说法 |
[04:02] | I believe Larry has talent, | 我认为拉里有天赋 |
[04:03] | if that might make a difference. | 如果这样说能让你改变主意的话 |
[04:05] | It won’t. | 不能 |
[04:06] | And now I’ll put your mother and sister into the carriage. | 我要送你母亲和妹妹去乘马车了 |
[04:09] | Please see to our guests. | 麻烦你照顾一下客人 |
[04:16] | But what do I say to Oscar when he gets here? | 但奥斯卡回来时我该怎么跟他说 |
[04:19] | What can I say? | 我能说什么 |
[04:21] | That he has disgraced his character? | 他玷污了自己的人格 |
[04:23] | His name? | 他的名声 |
[04:25] | And his mother? | 和他母亲吗 |
[04:27] | Well… | 不过… |
[04:28] | What do you mean, “Well”? | 你说”不过”是什么意思 |
[04:29] | Only that all men, or almost all, | 只不过所有男人 或者几乎所有男人 |
[04:31] | have a fling of some sort when they’re young, | 年轻时都有风流韵事 |
[04:33] | and they live to tell the tale. | 他们还会到处吹嘘 |
[04:35] | This is a tale I’d rather were not told. | 我可不想听到别人跟我说这些 |
[04:37] | I just think these things happen. | 我只是觉得这是常有的事 |
[04:39] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[04:40] | Have you been leading a double life? | 你过着双重生活吗 |
[04:42] | No, but I’m not so simple that I don’t know what goes on. | 没 但我也没单纯到什么都不知道 |
[04:46] | You’ll be calling yourself a woman of the world next. | 接下去你就要说自己是未来世界的女人 |
[04:49] | Well, I’m not Rip Van Winkle, Agnes. | 但我也不是瑞普·凡·温克尔 艾格妮丝 |
[04:49] | 美国作家华盛顿·欧文的短篇小说的主人公 因为喝了仙酒沉睡二十年而与时代严重脱节 | |
[04:52] | And I understand that young men have to sow their wild oats. | 而且我理解年轻男人需要放荡不羁 |
[04:55] | Even if that were true, | 就算你说得对 |
[04:57] | they do not have to sow them with servants. | 他们也不用非得跟仆人搞在一起 |
[04:59] | What would you prefer? An actress? | 那你喜欢什么样的人 女演员 |
[05:02] | – Or a prostitute? – Ada! | -还是妓女 -艾达 |
[05:04] | I’m going to have to ring for my smelling salts | 如果你再这么说话毫无节制 |
[05:06] | if you do not moderate your tone. | 我得按铃把嗅盐拿来了 |
[05:07] | You should not even know these words exist. | 你根本就不该知道这些词的存在 |
[05:09] | Well, I do. | 但我知道 |
[05:10] | And I know that well brought up young ladies | 而且我知道有教养的年轻淑女 |
[05:12] | are not the girls lighting | 可不会在 |
[05:14] | the cigars of their escorts at Delmonico’s. | 戴尔莫尼科餐厅为男伴点雪茄 |
[05:14] | 美国第一家提供菜单点菜的现代餐厅 于1837年开业 接待过众多政客名流 | |
[05:17] | You are forcing me to reevaluate your character. | 你在逼我重新评估你的性格 |
[05:19] | I can’t help that. | 那我也无能为力 |
[05:22] | The point is, he’s coming for dinner this evening, | 关键是他今晚要来吃晚饭 |
[05:24] | and I don’t know what to do. | 而我不知道该怎么办 |
[05:25] | I should do nothing. | 换了我就什么都不做 |
[05:26] | Do nothing and say nothing. | 不动声色 |
[05:29] | But of course, you won’t listen to me. | 但当然 你不会听我的 |
[05:32] | Mrs. Bauer asks if she might have a precise time | 鲍尔太太想问问今晚上第一道菜的 |
[05:35] | to serve the first course this evening. | 确切时间 |
[05:39] | Agnes? | 艾格妮丝 |
[05:42] | Ada, dear, would you tell Mrs. Bauer | 亲爱的艾达 你能否告诉鲍尔太太 |
[05:44] | I think it would be nice to sit down | 我觉得今晚八点半 |
[05:46] | to dinner tonight at half past eight? | 能开始用晚餐就很可以 |
[05:51] | Thank you, Bannister. | 谢谢你 班尼斯特 |
[05:58] | Well done. | 干得漂亮 |
[05:59] | That was quite a trick with the lighting. | 这个亮灯的招数还真不错 |
[06:00] | It was only a battery. | 只是块电池而已 |
[06:02] | By the time the station is built, | 等车站建好时 |
[06:03] | electricity will be part of our lives. | 电力会成为我们生活的一部分 |
[06:06] | Edison is mounting a demonstration | 爱迪生会在9月4日 |
[06:07] | – on September 4th. – What’s he got planned? | -做个展示 -他有什么计划 |
[06:09] | First, he’ll switch on his plant on Pearl Street. | 首先 他会启动他在珍珠街上的发电厂 |
[06:11] | But later, at 10:00, | 然后 到10点 |
[06:12] | he will illuminate the offices of | 他点亮公园街的 |
[06:12] | 曼哈顿区的一条街道 高楼林立 纽约时报等联邦办公大楼的集中地 | |
[06:14] | “The New York Times” on Park Row. | 《纽约时报》办公大楼 |
[06:15] | How do you know so much about it? | 你怎么会知道这么多 |
[06:17] | He invited me to attend. | 他邀请我参加 |
[06:18] | I’m to meet him for a terribly grand dinner | 我要跟他共进庆祝亮灯之夜的 |
[06:19] | in time for the evening illuminations. | 盛大晚宴 |
[06:21] | Well, why didn’t you say this before? | 你以前怎么从没提起过 |
[06:23] | I didn’t think it would interest you. | 我以为你对这事没兴趣 |
[06:24] | Of course it does. | 我当然有兴趣 |
[06:25] | All I want to know is, how long do we have to wait | 我只想知道 我们还得等多久 |
[06:28] | before we install it at home? | 才能在家里装上电灯 |
[06:30] | Oh, one thing. | 还有件事 |
[06:32] | Clay and I are meeting lawyers after this, | 这里结束之后我和克雷要去见律师 |
[06:34] | so I may be home late. | 所以我可能会晚点回家 |
[06:36] | We’ll get through this, George. | 我们会挺过去的 乔治 |
[06:37] | We just have to be strong. | 不过我们必须要坚强 |
[06:39] | You always hearten me, | 你胜利的信心 |
[06:40] | with your confidence of victory. | 总是能鼓舞我 |
[06:46] | What will you do with that? | 你要用这笔钱做什么 |
[06:47] | You don’t have a bank account. | 你没有银行账户 |
[06:49] | Perhaps I plan to open one, Mrs. Bauer. | 也许我会开一个 鲍尔太太 |
[06:52] | And I’m going to find out who wrote that letter | 不过我要查清是谁给范莱茵夫人写的那封信 |
[06:53] | to Mrs. Van Rhijn if it’s the last thing I do. | 就算这是我走前的最后一件事 |
[06:56] | How? | 怎么查 |
[06:57] | It could have been anyone in the Russells’ house. | 可能是罗素家中任何一个人干的 |
[06:59] | Someone will know who did it. | 有人知道是谁干的 |
[07:09] | Whoa, there! | 停车 |
[07:10] | Cheer up, Mr. Russell. | 开心点 罗素先生 |
[07:11] | – It can’t be as bad as all that. – Can’t it? | -情况没那么糟吧 -没有吗 |
[07:13] | I’ve quarreled with my father. | 我和我父亲吵了一架 |
[07:16] | Or at least we soon will. | 很快还会吵 |
[07:17] | – Is this over architecture? – How did you know? | -是有关建筑学吗 -你怎么知道 |
[07:20] | Because you told me, that day outside Mr. White’s office. | 因为你那天在怀特先生的办公室外告诉过我 |
[07:24] | You must give your father time. | 你得给你父亲一些时间 |
[07:26] | He loves you. He won’t want to fall out. | 他爱你 不想和你翻脸 |
[07:29] | When my father loves, Miss Brook, | 布鲁克小姐 想要我父亲的爱 |
[07:31] | there is a price to be paid. | 需要付出代价 |
[07:33] | I cannot deviate from his ambitions. | 我不能违背他的志向 |
[07:35] | Mother, me, Gladys, | 母亲 我 格拉迪斯 |
[07:36] | we must all keep to the steps he has laid down. | 我们都必须遵从他的安排 |
[07:39] | You have one life, Mr. Russell. | 人只有一生 罗素先生 |
[07:41] | If you take the wrong path, | 如果你走错了路 |
[07:43] | you will pay the price for many years. | 将为此付出许多年的代价 |
[07:45] | Now I must escort Pumpkin home. | 我现在必须送小南瓜回家了 |
[07:49] | Good day. | 再见 |
[07:57] | Mistress is getting up a party for September 4th | 夫人要在9月4日爱迪生先生 |
[08:00] | when Mr. Edison turns on his electric lights. | 点亮电灯时举办一场宴会 |
[08:02] | Why the fuss about Mr. Edison? | 为什么那么在意爱迪生先生 |
[08:04] | We’ve known about electricity for a hundred years. | 一百年前我们就知道有电 |
[08:06] | And there have been electric storms for centuries. | 几个世纪来 一直都有雷电风暴 |
[08:09] | But Mr. Edison has tamed it, Miss Turner. | 但爱迪生先生驯化了电 特纳小姐 |
[08:11] | He has mastered it. | 完全征服了它 |
[08:12] | He knows how to make it, how to store it, | 他知道如何生产和储存电 |
[08:14] | how to use it – for our benefit. | 知道如何利用电为我们谋福利 |
[08:15] | I think it’s exciting. | 我觉得这很令人激动 |
[08:17] | Is it? | 是吗 |
[08:18] | When electricity comes, half our jobs go up in smoke. | 电来了以后 我们的一半工作都将不复存在 |
[08:21] | Cooking, cleaning, | 烹饪 清扫 |
[08:22] | it’ll all be done with electricity before you know it. | 很快就都由电完成了 |
[08:24] | What is the mistress planning for the night | 点灯仪式那晚 |
[08:26] | when the lights are turned on? | 夫人的安排是什么 |
[08:27] | Not a large party, and not here. | 人数不多 也不在这里 |
[08:29] | It’s more of a picnic. Eight people. | 更像是野餐 就8个人 |
[08:31] | Four in the landau, | 4人在有厢马车里 |
[08:32] | four in another rented carriage. | 4人在另一辆租来的马车里 |
[08:34] | They’ll meet here at 7:00 and drive to Park Row. | 他们7点整在此会面 然后乘车前往公园街 |
[08:37] | They’ll dine in the carriages to make sure of a good place | 他们会在车里用餐 以确保有个好位置 |
[08:40] | and watch Edison illuminate the “Times” building at 10:00. | 观看10点整 爱迪生点亮《时报》大楼 |
[08:42] | Who will they get to serve? | 谁来服侍他们 |
[08:44] | Two of the footmen can go as postilions. | 两位男仆会作为车夫跟着去 |
[08:46] | They’ll manage. | 他们能服侍 |
[08:47] | I wonder who she’s planning to hook into her scheme. | 我很好奇 她打算把谁拉入她的计划 |
[08:50] | The Fanes will be there. | 费恩夫妇会去 |
[08:51] | But I think she’ll try for Mr. McAllister again, | 但我想她会再次去找麦卡利斯特先生 |
[08:54] | if she can persuade him to be seen with her in public. | 如果她说服他和自己一起公开露面 |
[08:56] | I’m sure he’d be very glad to be seen with her in public. | 我想他一定很高兴和她一起公开露面 |
[08:59] | Even you don’t believe that, Mrs. Bruce. | 布鲁斯太太 即使你不相信这一点 |
[09:01] | But he may tolerate it for the sake of a good dinner | 但为了一顿丰盛的晚餐和一个良好的观看座位 |
[09:03] | and a decent seat for the display. | 他或许可以忍受这一点 |
[09:05] | Please give us a rest from your nastiness, Miss Turner. | 请别再说这些刻薄话了 特纳小姐 |
[09:08] | What’s that, Mr. Church? | 你说什么 丘奇先生 |
[09:14] | My golly. | 天啊 |
[09:16] | I thought we might practice in here. | 我想我们可以在这里练习 |
[09:18] | We could rehearse a new production of “Aida” in here | 我们可以在这里排演一部新《阿依达》 |
[09:20] | and still have plenty of room to spare. | 都还有富余的地方 |
[09:22] | The thing is, I assume we need some more people. | 问题是 我觉得我们需要更多的人 |
[09:25] | Six more for a quadrille. | 方阵舞再加6个人 |
[09:26] | Two more girls and four men, but don’t worry. | 2位女士 4位男士 但别担心 |
[09:29] | Angela Schermerhorn loves dancing, | 安吉拉·舍默霍恩喜欢跳舞 |
[09:30] | and she’s a cousin of mine. | 并且她是我的堂表亲 |
[09:31] | And Sally Drexel. | 还有萨丽·卓克索 |
[09:32] | And I can easily round up a few young men. | 我很容易就能请来几位年轻男士 |
[09:35] | Maybe we could ask Orme Wilson. | 我们或许可以邀请奥默·威尔逊 |
[09:38] | Why is your mother so dead set against him? | 你母亲为什么如此坚决地反对他 |
[09:40] | Judging by the society pages, his family goes everywhere. | 从社交报上看 他的家人遍布上流社会每个角落 |
[09:42] | That’s the problem. She thinks them pushy. | 这就是问题所在 她认为他们太过野心勃勃 |
[09:45] | The father was a war profiteer, or so they say, | 据说他父亲是个靠战争发家的人 |
[09:47] | and the sister has married Ogden Goelet, | 姐姐嫁给了奥格登·戈莱特 |
[09:48] | one of the richest men in America. | 全美最有钱的人 |
[09:50] | Of course, everyone thinks he’s been caught. | 当然 所有人都会认为他想更上一层楼 |
[09:52] | So your mother doesn’t trust Mr. Wilson’s motives? | 所以你母亲认为威尔逊先生动机不纯吗 |
[09:55] | – To put it mildly. – But you do? | -何止如此 -但你相信他吗 |
[09:58] | To put it mildly. | 何止相信 |
[09:59] | In that case, we’ll definitely have him as one of our dancers. | 那样的话 我们一定要邀请他来跳舞 |
[10:02] | We need to be able to tell anyone we ask | 我们需要告诉被邀请人 |
[10:04] | when the ball is happening. | 舞会什么时候举行 |
[10:06] | – Then we’d better call it off. – Why do you say that? | -那我们最好就别邀请了 -你为什么这么说 |
[10:09] | Because you won’t set a date. | 因为你不会定下舞会日期 |
[10:11] | Every time I ask, you refuse. | 我每次问你 你都拒绝 |
[10:12] | That was before the house was ready. | 那是在房子装修好之前 |
[10:14] | Now it is. | 现在已经装修好了 |
[10:15] | I’ll write to Mr. McAllister to find a date that’s free. | 我会写信给麦卡利斯特先生 找个有空的日子 |
[10:17] | We don’t want to be in competition. | 我们不想有什么竞争 |
[10:19] | What’s changed, Mother? | 你怎么突然改变心意了 母亲 |
[10:21] | Why are you talking as if I meant you to be | 为什么你说得好像我故意让你成为 |
[10:22] | the first debutante in the city who never made her debut? | 城中首个从未亮相的上流社会年轻女子 |
[10:25] | We’ll get a pianist in for your practice. | 我们要请位钢琴师陪你们练习 |
[10:27] | And perhaps you have the name of a dancing instructor? | 你有合适的舞蹈老师人选吗 |
[10:29] | Of course. | 当然 |
[10:30] | The men and girls who will join in your quadrille, | 参加你们方阵舞的男士和女士 |
[10:32] | should I ask their parents if they mind? | 我需要征求他们父母的同意吗 |
[10:33] | Oh, no, they’ll all love Gladys. | 不用 他们都很喜欢格拉迪斯 |
[10:35] | And they’re dying to see inside this house. | 都非常想看看这幢房子里面的样子 |
[10:37] | Everyone is. | 每位都是 |
[10:38] | Well, I’ll ask them to the ball | 那我就邀请他们参加舞会 |
[10:40] | so they can watch their children perform. | 让他们看到自己孩子的表演 |
[10:41] | They mustn’t miss that. | 他们绝对不能错过那个 |
[10:47] | Gentlemen, I suppose my first question is, | 先生们 我想我的第一个问题是 |
[10:50] | have you seen the paper | 你们见过迪克逊先生所说 |
[10:51] | that Mr. Dixon says I sent him? | 我寄给他的那封信吗 |
[10:54] | – Mr. Brand? – I’ve seen it. | -布兰德先生 -我见过 |
[10:55] | I’m afraid it appears genuine. | 信看上去是真的 |
[10:58] | We’ll have a handwriting expert examine it, of course. | 当然 我们会请笔迹专家来检验 |
[11:00] | But we can’t expect too much from that. | 但我们不能抱太多期望 |
[11:02] | What does it say, exactly? | 上面到底写了些什么 |
[11:07] | “The price is ridiculous. Find a cheaper option. | “价格贵得离谱 找个更便宜的 |
[11:09] | I don’t care what it takes or how you do it.” | 我不管你怎么做 或付出什么代价” |
[11:12] | Followed by your signature. | 后面是你的签名 |
[11:14] | He’s lost the envelope, but that won’t help us. | 他把信封弄丢了 但这对我们没有帮助 |
[11:18] | Certainly sounds like me. | 听起来像是我的口吻 |
[11:20] | Can we confront this Dixon? | 我们能与这位迪克逊对质吗 |
[11:22] | There’ll be a preliminary hearing. | 之后会有一场初审听证会 |
[11:24] | We’ll face him there. | 我们会在那里与他见面 |
[11:24] | But didn’t we pay the full price? | 但我们当时不是付了全款吗 |
[11:27] | What happened to the money, Mr. Lewis? | 钱哪去了呢 路易斯先生 |
[11:30] | Dixon claims the estimate | 迪克逊说估价款 |
[11:31] | was submitted for payment without his knowledge. | 是在他不知情的情况下上交的 |
[11:34] | – So where’s the money now? – Missing. | -所以钱现在到哪去了 -不见了 |
[11:36] | But not traceable to him, unfortunately. | 但很不幸的是 无法追溯到他身上 |
[11:38] | Doesn’t that strengthen Mr. Russell’s case? | 这对罗素先生的案子不是更有利吗 |
[11:41] | It depends whom the judge chooses to believe at the hearing. | 这取决于听证会上法官选择相信谁 |
[11:44] | If he believes Mr. Russell, | 他如果相信罗素先生 |
[11:45] | then Dixon will go forward for trial. | 迪克逊就得接受庭审 |
[11:48] | And Mr. Russell will only be called as a witness. | 罗素先生只会作为证人被传唤 |
[11:50] | But if he believes Dixon? | 但他要是相信迪克逊呢 |
[11:51] | Then Mr. Russell may be charged | 那么罗素先生可能会被以 |
[11:53] | with manslaughter by negligence. | 过失杀人罪被起诉 |
[11:55] | That is very pessimistic. | 这么想太悲观了 |
[11:57] | Mr. Russell should be ready for the worst. | 罗素先生应该做好最坏的打算 |
[12:00] | Believe me, | 相信我 |
[12:02] | Mr. Russell is always ready for the worst. | 罗素先生总会做好最坏的打算 |
[12:07] | Cousin Oscar. | 奥斯卡表哥 |
[12:13] | Is everything all right? | 没出什么事吧 |
[12:15] | Oscar’s gone. | 奥斯卡走了 |
[12:16] | He’s angry with me, but he has no right to be. | 他生我气了 但他没权利这么做 |
[12:19] | I’m the one to be angry. | 我才是那个应该生气的人 |
[12:20] | Why? What’s happened? | 为什么 出什么事了 |
[12:22] | Oscar has disgraced himself. | 奥斯卡做了不光彩的事 |
[12:24] | With Mrs. Russell’s maid. | 和罗素夫人的女仆 |
[12:27] | How democratic. | 他真是不计身份 |
[12:28] | It is no laughing matter. | 这事并不可笑 |
[12:30] | Really. | 真的 |
[12:32] | On top of Bannister’s betrayal, it is too much. | 再加上班尼斯特的背叛 我受够了 |
[12:35] | Oscar tried to deny it. | 奥斯卡试图否认 |
[12:36] | Are you telling this story, or am I? | 是你在说 还是我在说 |
[12:39] | Although, why either of us are telling it to Marian, | 不过话说回来 我们干嘛把这事告诉玛丽安 |
[12:41] | I do not know. | 我不知道 |
[12:42] | He said they were friendly acquaintances and that was all. | 他说他们不过是关系较好的熟人 |
[12:45] | – Well, I suppose– – As if my son | -我想… -就好像我儿子 |
[12:47] | would number a lady’s maid among his friends. | 会把一个女仆当朋友似的 |
[12:50] | Even Ada thought that was nonsense, | 就连艾达都觉得这是在胡扯 |
[12:52] | and she barely knows how babies are born. | 而她根本不知道孩子是怎么出生的 |
[12:54] | Agnes, your anger is making you indelicate. | 艾格妮丝 你的怒气已经让你丧失理智了 |
[12:57] | So what happens now? | 那现在怎么办 |
[13:00] | I want her sacked. | 我要她被解雇 |
[13:01] | I want her out on her ear by tomorrow night. | 我要她明晚之前滚蛋 |
[13:04] | Then you must write to Mrs. Russell. | 那你必须写信给罗素夫人 |
[13:06] | What would I say? | 我要说些什么 |
[13:07] | My mother always told me | 我母亲常跟我说 |
[13:08] | never to write anything I wouldn’t want printed | 千万别写我不希望被刊登 |
[13:10] | on the letters page of a popular journal. | 流行报刊读者来信页的内容 |
[13:12] | – Then what will you do? – I’ll do nothing. | -那你打算怎么做 -我什么也不做 |
[13:17] | You will go and see Mrs. Russell. | 你去见罗素夫人 |
[13:19] | After all, you know her. I do not. | 毕竟是你认识她 我不认识 |
[13:22] | But it isn’t my quarrel. | 但这事与我无关 |
[13:23] | Your family’s honor is in danger. | 你的家族名誉就要岌岌可危了 |
[13:26] | Certainly it is your quarrel. | 这当然和你有关 |
[13:27] | What right have I to ask a woman | 我有什么权利要求一位夫人 |
[13:29] | to fire her own servant? | 去炒了她自己的仆人 |
[13:31] | – It’s an impossible task. – Marian. | -这是个不可能的任务 -玛丽安 |
[13:34] | I may be didactic, but I do not often give orders. | 我或许是爱说教 但我不常命令人 |
[13:37] | This is a direct order. Will you defy me? | 这是直接的命令 你要违背我吗 |
[13:41] | Is that what we have come to? | 你要这样报答我吗 |
[13:44] | Did you hear the noise? | 你们听到了吗 |
[13:46] | I was in the hall when Mistress started shouting at Mr. Oscar. | 夫人朝奥斯卡先生大喊大叫时 我正好在走廊 |
[13:49] | Then he marched out and slammed the door. | 然后他就夺门而出了 |
[13:51] | Which made one less for dinner, | 所以晚餐少了一位 |
[13:53] | And we got the rest of the ice cream to share. | 我们才能分省下的那份冰淇淋 |
[13:55] | These things happen. | 这是常有的事 |
[13:56] | You don’t sound very surprised. | 你似乎不怎么惊讶 |
[13:58] | With a mother and son, | 母子之间 |
[13:59] | there’s bound to be fireworks sometimes. | 有时难免会有争吵 |
[14:01] | You don’t know what it’s about? | 你不知道在吵什么吗 |
[14:03] | Please, we owe it to Mrs. Van Rhijn not to pry. | 拜托 我们不要去打探范莱茵夫人的事 |
[14:06] | You won’t get back into her good graces that easily. | 她不会那么轻易饶恕你的 |
[14:09] | Silly me. | 看我多傻 |
[14:11] | I’ve left some things upstairs that I need to wash | 我落了几件东西在楼上 |
[14:13] | before I sleep. | 我得在睡前洗掉 |
[14:18] | She knows more than she’s saying. | 她有事瞒着我们 |
[14:20] | All ladies’ maids know more than they say. | 所有的贴身女仆都是如此 |
[14:25] | – Church said you were here. – I told him to. | -丘奇说你在这 -我叫他这么说的 |
[14:28] | I hope you don’t mind that I haven’t changed. | 希望你不介意我没换衣服 |
[14:29] | Not at all. | 一点也不 |
[14:31] | Did the lawyers keep you this late? | 律师们和你谈到这么晚吗 |
[14:32] | No, but after they’d gone, I stayed talking to Clay, | 不 但在他们走后 我留下和克雷聊了聊 |
[14:35] | poor devil. | 可怜的家伙 |
[14:36] | I doubt anyone’s kept dinner for him. | 我想没人给他留晚餐 |
[14:38] | And? | 结果呢 |
[14:40] | There’ll be a hearing | 会有一场听证会 |
[14:42] | to determine if a crime’s been committed | 来决定是否存在犯罪行为 |
[14:43] | and whether it should go for trial. | 并且是否要接受庭审 |
[14:45] | Well, haven’t they already found the man to blame? | 他们不是已经找到罪魁祸首了吗 |
[14:47] | That depends. | 这不好说 |
[14:49] | Some people may think the man to blame is your husband. | 有些人可能觉得罪魁祸首是你丈夫 |
[14:51] | Don’t joke about this, George. | 别拿这事开玩笑 乔治 |
[14:52] | – I’m not joking. – We can’t afford a scandal. | -我没有在开玩笑 -我们经不起这种丑闻 |
[14:54] | Not when I’m so near. | 尤其是在我就快要成功的时候 |
[14:55] | I’m taking a party to see Mr. Edison’s lights, | 我要举办一个派对去看爱迪生先生的电灯 |
[14:57] | and I’ve set a date for Gladys’s ball. | 我还订好了格拉迪斯的亮相舞会 |
[14:59] | I’m glad to hear it. | 这很好 |
[15:00] | But it won’t happen if you’re on trial. | 但如果你要上庭 一切都会化为乌有 |
[15:01] | I’d have to cancel. | 我得全部取消 |
[15:02] | My dear, I don’t make the rules. | 亲爱的 法规不是我定的 |
[15:04] | I will do everything within my power to defend myself. | 我会竭尽全力去为自己辩护 |
[15:06] | What more can I say? | 我还能说什么 |
[15:07] | But I’ve already settled a date with Mr. McAllister. | 但我已经和麦卡利斯特先生约好了日子 |
[15:09] | Well, God forbid I should be a disappointment for Mr. McAllister. | 请原谅 我得让麦卡利斯特先生失望了 |
[15:12] | If you think this is funny– | 你要是觉得这很好笑… |
[15:13] | I don’t think it in the least funny | 我有可能要坐牢了 |
[15:15] | that I’m facing the possibility of prison, | 而我妻子却更在意舞会的时间 |
[15:16] | and my wife is more concerned with the date of a ball. | 我一点也不觉得这很好笑 |
[15:50] | – Mr. Fortune. – Good day, Miss Scott. | -福琼先生 -早上好 斯科特小姐 |
[15:52] | I’ve left the draft of my article on your desk. | 我把我的文稿放你桌上了 |
[15:54] | I’ll take a look. | 我会看的 |
[15:55] | Tell me, what are your thoughts on electricity? | 你跟我说说 你觉得电怎么样 |
[15:59] | Are you talking about Mr. Edison’s lights? | 你是指爱迪生先生的电灯吗 |
[16:00] | Well, Mr. Edison is not solely responsible. | 那不完全是爱迪生先生的功劳 |
[16:04] | Who else was involved? | 还有谁 |
[16:05] | Namely, Lewis Latimer, a colored inventor. | 叫路易斯·拉蒂默 一个黑人投资商 |
[16:08] | He created a better carbon filament. | 他研发了更好的碳灯丝 |
[16:10] | That’s the thing in the bulb | 简单来说就是在灯泡里 |
[16:11] | that helps keep the lights on, so to speak. | 使其持续发光的东西 |
[16:14] | Well, I’m sure that Mr. Edison | 我相信爱迪生 |
[16:21] | I admire your wit, Miss Scott. | 我很欣赏你的风趣 斯科特小姐 |
[16:24] | Joking aside, I can’t imagine seeing an entire building | 不开玩笑了 我无法想象一整栋建筑物 |
[16:27] | lit up all at once. | 瞬间被点亮 |
[16:29] | It’s both historic and futuristic all at the same time. | 这既具有历史意义 又前卫创新 |
[16:32] | Well, you’re not going to have to imagine it, | 你不用去想象了 |
[16:35] | because we’re going to see it. | 因为我们会看见它实现 |
[16:37] | – We? – Yes. | -我们吗 -是的 |
[16:38] | We’re reporting on it for the paper. | 我们要为报纸报道此事 |
[16:40] | I need you to help interview people in the crowd | 我需要你帮忙访问观看的人群 |
[16:42] | and get their impressions as well as your own. | 写下他们和你自己的感受 |
[16:45] | We’ll meet here on the night | 我们晚上在此碰面 |
[16:46] | and travel to Park Row together. | 然后一起去公园街 |
[16:48] | I can’t believe it. Thank you. | 我太惊喜了 谢谢你 |
[16:52] | I’ve got to bring you along to remind Mr. Edison | 我得把你带上 好提醒爱迪生先生 |
[16:55] | that a colored man will make his technology better. | 有色人种能为他的科技增色 |
[17:01] | I’m sorry I couldn’t see you this morning. | 很抱歉我今早没能见你 |
[17:02] | I had a thousand things going on. | 我有数不清的事情要处理 |
[17:04] | I’m sorry to be such a nuisance. | 我很抱歉给你带来困扰了 |
[17:06] | Nonsense. | 完全没有 |
[17:07] | We’ll manage for ourselves, Francis, thank you. | 我们自己来就好 法兰西斯 谢谢 |
[17:10] | So how can I help? | 我有什么能帮上忙的 |
[17:14] | I’m only the messenger. | 我只是个传信人 |
[17:16] | – But my aunt is rather anxious. – Anxious about what? | -我的姑姑相当焦虑 -焦虑什么 |
[17:20] | I don’t know how to say it. | 我不知该如何开口 |
[17:21] | Now you’re frightening me. | 你这样说可吓到我了 |
[17:23] | She asks you to fire your maid. | 她想让你解雇你的女仆 |
[17:26] | – What? – I think she’s called Turner. | -什么 -她的名字应该是叫特纳 |
[17:29] | Am I to know why? | 我能知道为什么吗 |
[17:32] | She’s been seeing a man well known to my aunt. | 她和我姑姑的一个熟人在交往 |
[17:34] | You must have something more than that. | 你知道的肯定不止这些 |
[17:36] | What man? | 那个熟人是谁 |
[17:37] | His name is not important, | 他的名字不重要 |
[17:38] | but Mrs. Van Rhijn strongly believes | 但范莱茵夫人坚信 |
[17:40] | that it is an improper liaison. | 他们之间是苟合 |
[17:43] | What proof is there? | 这有什么证据吗 |
[17:44] | They were in the street together, | 他们一起上街 |
[17:46] | and she laid her hand on his arm. | 她将手放在他手臂上 |
[17:48] | Is every woman who touches a man’s sleeve | 每个触碰男人袖子的女人 |
[17:49] | in the middle of an improper affair? | 都是苟合吗 |
[17:51] | My aunt believes that is generally the case | 我姑姑认为如果男女双方 |
[17:53] | when the couple are of a very different rank. | 阶级差别很大那通常就是 |
[17:55] | I will speak to her, | 我会和特纳说 |
[17:56] | but I cannot guarantee anything. | 但我不能就此做出任何保证 |
[17:57] | Suppose it was her brother, or even a cousin. | 这人或者可能会是她的兄弟或者表兄弟 |
[17:59] | We know the man, and he is not her brother. | 我们认识男方 他不是她的兄弟 |
[18:02] | But I told my aunt I would need more evidence to convince you. | 但我跟姑姑说过 我需要更多证据来说服你 |
[18:06] | Let us move on. | 我们先不聊这个 |
[18:09] | I’m glad you’ve come. I want to ask your advice. | 我很高兴你来了 我有事想问问你的意见 |
[18:11] | – Or perhaps your permission. – Yes? | -或者说是你的许可 -什么事 |
[18:13] | I’m planning a picnic, and I want to ask Mr. Raikes. | 我在策划一个野餐会 我想邀请雷克斯先生 |
[18:15] | Aurora says she sees him everywhere these days. | 奥萝拉说这阵他四处留踪 |
[18:17] | That’s if you don’t object, of course. | 如果你不反对的话 |
[18:18] | Why should I object? | 我为何会反对呢 |
[18:20] | Because I’m afraid there won’t be room for you. | 因为恐怕这次你没法出席 |
[18:23] | We’re going in two carriages, so each place is at a premium. | 我们会在两架马车上用餐 这意味着位置很少 |
[18:27] | A picnic in carriages? | 在马车里野餐吗 |
[18:28] | That’s a lovely idea. What fun you’ll have. | 这主意棒极了 一定很有趣 |
[18:30] | I’m jealous. I’d love to be there. | 我真羡慕 我很乐意出席 |
[18:32] | The trouble is, we have only eight seats. | 问题是 我们只有八个席位 |
[18:34] | I’ve got Larry, Gladys, Mr. McAllister, | 我请了拉里 格拉迪斯 麦卡利斯特先生 |
[18:36] | the Fanes, and a friend of Aurora’s, | 费恩夫妇以及奥萝拉的一个朋友 |
[18:37] | which leaves one to fill, and we need a man to fill it. | 这下就只有一个空位了 而我们需要找个男人 |
[18:40] | Not Mr. Russell? | 罗素先生不出席吗 |
[18:41] | Mr. Russell is a guest of Mr. Edison. | 罗素先生是爱迪生先生的客人 |
[18:44] | Then Tom Raikes is the man for you. | 那你找汤姆·雷斯克就对了 |
[18:45] | It’s so maddening of Aurora to land me with Miss Bingham. | 奥萝拉请了宾瀚小姐可真让我费解 |
[18:48] | Otherwise it could have been you. | 不然我就能请你来了 |
[18:50] | More coffee? | 再来点咖啡吗 |
[18:53] | It is quite simple. | 很简单 |
[18:54] | You will be postilions when you leave here. | 离开这时要做引马人 |
[18:56] | Then when you get to Park Row, you will step down from the box | 但当你们到达公园街后 你们得下车 |
[18:59] | and serve the dinner. | 然后侍奉晚餐 |
[19:00] | But I don’t like horses, Mr. Church. | 但我不喜欢马 丘奇先生 |
[19:02] | You’re a postilion, not a jockey. | 你是引马人 不是马夫 |
[19:04] | You won’t go anywhere near a horse. | 你不会靠近马三尺内的 |
[19:05] | Everything you need for the dinner | 晚餐需要用到的所有东西 |
[19:06] | will be packed in a hamper | 都会打包好在食篮里 |
[19:07] | and strapped to the luggage rack. | 然后绑在马车的行李架上 |
[19:10] | So she got Mr. McAllister after all. | 她还是请来了麦卡利斯特先生 |
[19:12] | The luncheon she gave him has worked wonders. | 她宴请他的那场午餐帮了不少忙 |
[19:15] | Or do you not care to be reminded of that, Mr. Church? | 还是说你介意我们提起这件事呢 丘奇先生 |
[19:18] | I do not care for insolence, Miss Turner, | 我不喜欢你这种傲慢的态度 特纳小姐 |
[19:20] | from you or anyone else. | 无论是你或来自其他人 |
[19:22] | Mr. Bannister made such a success of it. | 班尼斯特先生主持地真成功 |
[19:25] | Get back in your cave. | 你还是快离开为好 |
[19:27] | Pay no attention to her, Mr. Church. | 别理睬她 丘奇先生 |
[19:29] | I don’t intend to. | 我并无此打算 |
[19:30] | Now come with me, and I’ll show you | 跟我来 我告诉你们 |
[19:31] | where to find the postilion’s livery. | 引马人的制服放在哪里 |
[19:34] | Why do you take him on like that? | 你为什么要这样招惹他 |
[19:36] | He’s too big for his britches. | 他太多管闲事了 |
[19:49] | Mr. Raikes? | 雷克斯先生 |
[19:50] | – What are you doing here? – Waiting for you, Miss Brook. | -你怎么在这 -我在等你 布鲁克小姐 |
[19:53] | But suppose I hadn’t come back? | 那万一我没回来呢 |
[19:55] | I’d have stayed for an hour or so. | 那我会等上大概一小时 |
[19:56] | And then I would have walked home. | 然后我会走回家 |
[19:58] | Wouldn’t be the first time. | 这又不是第一次了 |
[20:00] | And why today particularly? | 那今天又有何特别 |
[20:01] | Because I need to see your face at regular intervals | 因为我得时常见你一下 |
[20:05] | to keep me on the straight and narrow. | 好让我神清气爽 |
[20:08] | Any minute now, Aunt Agnes | 艾格尼斯姑姑随时都可能 |
[20:09] | will look out the drawing room window, | 从客厅的窗户看到我们 |
[20:10] | and I’ll never hear the end of it. | 然后我就肯定要被她训个没完 |
[20:15] | Don’t you think it’s time we stopped worrying | 你不觉得我们是时候别再担心 |
[20:16] | about Aunt Agnes? | 艾格尼斯姑姑怎么看了吗 |
[20:18] | I need to see you. To talk to you. | 我想见你 我想和你聊天 |
[20:21] | If you mean it, | 如果你是真心的 |
[20:23] | Mrs. Chamberlain has offered to entertain us both at her house. | 张伯伦夫人想邀请我们去她府上一叙 |
[20:26] | We could talk there. | 我们可以在那聊天 |
[20:28] | – Now I’m encouraged. – Why? | -那我就放心多了 -为何 |
[20:30] | Because if you’re prepared to call on Mrs. Chamberlain, | 因为如果你都做好准备拜访张伯伦夫人了 |
[20:31] | it means you’re not afraid to take risks. | 那意味着你不惧承担风险 |
[20:34] | I must go. | 我得走了 |
[20:35] | I’ll send a message. | 我会给你传信 |
[20:49] | I’m going up to change. Turner will be waiting. | 我要上楼换衣服 特纳在等我 |
[20:51] | By the way, | 说起来 |
[20:53] | Miss Brook called this afternoon | 布鲁克小姐今天下午来访 |
[20:54] | to ask me to dismiss her. | 让我解雇她 |
[20:57] | What? | 什么 |
[20:58] | You’re to dismiss Turner? | 你要解雇特纳吗 |
[20:59] | Wasn’t it strange? | 是不是很奇怪 |
[21:00] | Mrs. Van Rhijn thinks she’s been having an affair. | 范莱茵夫人认为她在搞私情 |
[21:03] | How does she know? | 她是怎么知道的 |
[21:04] | I think the culprit must be her son. | 我认为情夫一定是她的儿子 |
[21:06] | I’m not completely sure, but that’s what I suspect. | 我不能完全肯定 但这是我的怀疑 |
[21:08] | Oscar van Rhijn? | 奥斯卡·范莱茵吗 |
[21:10] | – I had a letter from him today. – What did he want? | -我今天还收到他的一封信呢 -他有什么事 |
[21:13] | Just to lend me a bit of support. | 只是对我表示支持 |
[21:16] | So will you? | 那你会吗 |
[21:17] | – Fire Turner? – Why? Do you think I should? | -解雇特纳 -为什么 你觉得我应该吗 |
[21:20] | It’s not for me to say. | 这轮不到我决定 |
[21:23] | There must be something here. | 这里面一定能找到点什么 |
[21:25] | How can anyone believe you’d make direct contact | 怎么会有人相信你会和迪克逊这样 |
[21:27] | with some minor little cog like Dixon? | 无足轻重的人直接联系呢 |
[21:29] | It’s absurd. | 太荒唐了 |
[21:30] | I do write notes to people in every department. | 我的确会给各个部门的人写指示 |
[21:33] | They can prove that. | 他们可以证实这点 |
[21:34] | And remember, I’m a rich man, | 别忘了 我是个有钱人 |
[21:36] | which means I’m a villain. | 也就是说我是个恶棍 |
[21:37] | Certainly in a jury’s eyes, if it ever gets that far. | 如果真上法庭的话 陪审团肯定这么认为 |
[21:39] | Well, I intend to pay it no notice. | 我准备不去理会这件事 |
[21:41] | And I’ve confirmed the excursion | 我已经确认了 |
[21:42] | to watch Mr. Edison turn on his lights. | 去观看爱迪生先生亮灯的出行安排 |
[21:44] | Really? You won’t cancel? | 真的 你不取消吗 |
[21:46] | I was going to tell him I can’t come. | 我还准备告诉他我无法出席了呢 |
[21:47] | You’ll do no such thing. | 那可不行 |
[21:49] | We’ll face this together, George. | 我们一起面对这件事 乔治 |
[21:52] | We’ll tell them how it’s going to be. | 我们告诉大家结局会怎样 |
[21:54] | If it helps you to believe we’re in control of things. | 如果这样有助于你相信我们控制着局面的话 |
[21:59] | – Oscar. – Marian. | -奥斯卡 -玛丽安 |
[22:02] | I hope this means things are better | 希望这意味着你和你母亲的关系 |
[22:03] | – between you and your mother. – A little. | -有所改善了 -一点点吧 |
[22:05] | She won’t be persuaded of the truth, | 她怎么都不肯接受真相 |
[22:06] | so I’ve had to agree to the lie. | 所以我只能接受那个假话 |
[22:09] | Was it you who told her? | 是你告诉她的吗 |
[22:11] | No. I didn’t know. | 不是 我并不知道 |
[22:13] | But I wouldn’t have, even if I did. | 但即使我知道也不会说 |
[22:14] | Really? | 是吗 |
[22:16] | Well, what will be, will be. | 该来的总会来 |
[22:20] | I’m sorry about all the upset. | 对于这些不愉快我感到很难过 |
[22:22] | I know it’s the last thing your mother would want. | 我知道你母亲非常不愿意这样 |
[22:24] | Oh, yes, my mother wants me to have everything. | 对 我母亲希望我能拥有一切 |
[22:27] | Except a life. | 除了生活 |
[22:31] | I don’t believe I will take any lessons from Mr. Church, thank you. | 我才不会让丘奇先生教训我呢 谢了 |
[22:34] | I should teach him a lesson, if I were you. | 如果换作是我 我倒会教训教训他 |
[22:37] | A sharp one. | 好好教训教训 |
[22:49] | You haven’t worn this one for a while. | 夫人有阵子没戴这条项链了 |
[22:53] | Turner, I’ve been thinking, | 特纳 我近来一直在想 |
[22:54] | and I wonder if it isn’t time | 不知是否到了我们 |
[22:55] | for us to take a rest from each other. | 暂别一阵的时候了 |
[22:57] | What? | 什么 |
[22:59] | We don’t get on as we used to. | 我们处得不像以前那么好了 |
[23:02] | Like all employers, you set the tone. | 如同所有的雇主 定基调的人是您 |
[23:06] | See what I mean? | 我说什么来着 |
[23:07] | Is this Mr. Russell’s idea? Because– | 这是罗素先生的意思吗 因为… |
[23:09] | No, but he’s asked me to give you a good reference, | 不是 但他让我给你写封好推荐信 |
[23:11] | and despite some misgivings, I will. | 尽管我有些疑问 我还是会写 |
[23:14] | There’s no need to imply your work’s not excellent. | 我不是暗示你的工作能力不优秀 |
[23:16] | He– | 他… |
[23:18] | What were you going to say? | 你要说什么 |
[23:20] | Nothing, Madam. | 没什么 夫人 |
[23:21] | Nothing at all. | 没什么 |
[23:41] | Ask him when it was delivered. | 问问他是什么时候送来的 |
[23:44] | When was it delivered, Bannister? | 班尼斯特 信是什么时候送来的 |
[23:46] | Just now, ma’am. | 刚刚 夫人 |
[23:47] | Just now. | 刚刚 |
[23:48] | Before he goes, tell him to ask John | 他走之前 告诉他去请教约翰 |
[23:50] | for some tips on serving luncheon. | 一些服侍午餐的诀窍 |
[23:53] | Everything went so smoothly when John was at the helm. | 约翰负责时一切都非常妥帖 |
[23:56] | – What? – Thank you, Bannister. | -什么 -谢谢你 班尼斯特 |
[23:58] | That will be all. | 这边没事了 |
[24:02] | When are you going to forgive him? | 你到什么时候才会原谅他啊 |
[24:03] | When he has earned my forgiveness. | 等他值得我的原谅之时 |
[24:07] | Did you have a nice time, dear? | 你过得开心吗 亲爱的 |
[24:08] | I think so. | 我想是吧 |
[24:10] | I’m always overwhelmed by Bloomingdale’s. | 每次去布鲁明戴尔百货我都会目不暇接 |
[24:11] | There are more items in that one store | 这一家店里的东西要比 |
[24:13] | than there were in the whole of Doylestown. | 整个多伊尔斯敦的还要多 |
[24:15] | Mrs. Russell has fired her maid. | 罗素夫人解雇了她的贴身女仆 |
[24:17] | I’m amazed. | 真让我吃惊 |
[24:19] | She didn’t give a hint of it when I was with her. | 我和她谈时 她完全没表现出要解雇的意思 |
[24:21] | You must have been more eloquent than you realized. | 你一定比自己想象的更加能言善辩吧 |
[24:23] | Will you write to her? | 你会给她回信吗 |
[24:25] | Of course I won’t write to her. | 我当然不会给她回信 |
[24:26] | She might write back. | 她可能会再给我回信 |
[24:27] | You must acknowledge the letter. | 你得要对收到信有所表示啊 |
[24:29] | She’s done what you asked. | 她都按你的要求做了 |
[24:31] | Is there anything you’d like me to do | 在为您更衣前 |
[24:32] | before you get changed? | 还有什么吩咐吗 |
[24:34] | Please thank Mrs. Russell for this note, | 请谢谢罗素夫人的信 |
[24:36] | but without a trace of warmth. | 但不能有一丝一毫的热情 |
[24:38] | And have John take it over. | 然后派约翰送过去 |
[24:58] | What are you doing here? | 你来这干什么 |
[25:00] | Did you have me sacked? | 是你让我被解雇的吗 |
[25:02] | No. | 不是 |
[25:03] | And I got you a good reference. | 而且我还为你争取到好的推荐 |
[25:05] | So I should be grateful? | 那我应该感激涕零了 |
[25:08] | That’s up to you. | 那是你的事 |
[25:13] | How’s the train crash inquiry? | 火车出轨的调查怎么样了 |
[25:15] | What do you care? | 和你有什么关系 |
[25:17] | I care very much that you should emerge unscathed. | 我很在意你能否平安脱险 |
[25:20] | You see… | 你看… |
[25:22] | you missed something in me. | 你忽略了我身上的某些情况 |
[25:24] | I was offering you a woman who would devote her life | 身为女人我许诺要把自己的一生奉献给 |
[25:26] | to your success, your health, and your happiness. | 你的成功 你的健康和你的幸福 |
[25:31] | Could Mrs. Russell say the same? | 罗素夫人也能这么说吗 |
[25:34] | I’d have loved you | 我本会爱你 |
[25:36] | to the exclusion of everything else. | 爱到可以抛开一切 |
[25:43] | I’ll say good night. | 晚安吧 |
[25:50] | Perhaps we’ll meet again. | 也许我们还会再见面 |
[25:51] | I doubt it. | 我想不会了 |
[26:08] | Mr. Raikes. | 雷克斯先生到 |
[26:11] | This is very kind of you. | 您真是太好了 |
[26:13] | I’m delighted to help. | 我很高兴能帮上忙 |
[26:15] | How do you do? I’m Mrs. Chamberlain. | 你好 我是张伯伦夫人 |
[26:17] | I know. The famous Mrs. Chamberlain. | 我知道 著名的张伯伦夫人 |
[26:19] | And I see that your pictures are quite as fine | 您的这些画正如我听说那样 |
[26:21] | as I’ve been told. | 精美绝伦 |
[26:23] | After luncheon, I’ll show you the gallery. | 午餐后我带你参观一下画廊 |
[26:24] | But now I have business to attend to. | 但现在我有些正事要处理 |
[26:27] | If you’ll excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[26:32] | I suppose her business is to leave us alone. | 我想她的正事就是让我们单独相处吧 |
[26:36] | What would your Aunt Agnes make of that? | 你的艾格妮丝姑姑会知道了会怎么样呢 |
[26:37] | What would she make of my being in this house at all? | 先想想她要知道我来这里会怎么样吧 |
[26:41] | Well, I confess, it feels very daring. | 我承认这非常大胆 |
[26:44] | I gather you’re going to watch | 我想你4号会去观看 |
[26:45] | Mr. Edison’s electrics on the 4th? | 爱迪生先生的电灯仪式吧 |
[26:48] | Will you be in Mrs. Russell’s party? | 你会参加罗素夫人的派对吗 |
[26:50] | No. | 不 |
[26:51] | You’re to travel and dine in two carriages, | 你们要乘坐两辆马车 并在车里用餐 |
[26:53] | – and there’s no room. – Really? | -但已经没地方坐了 -真的 |
[26:55] | Then why don’t I cancel? You can go in my place. | 那我也可以不去 你代替我 |
[26:57] | Thank you, but no. | 谢谢 但不必了 |
[26:58] | It would spoil the numbers, and it’s settled now. | 那会打乱宾客的男女比例 毕竟都安排好了 |
[27:01] | The Fanes are coming. | 费恩夫妇会去的 |
[27:03] | And a friend of Aurora’s, Cissie Bingham. | 奥萝拉的朋友西茜·宾瀚也会去 |
[27:05] | She must have taken your seat. | 一定是她占用了你的位置 |
[27:07] | I don’t remember her. | 我不熟悉她 |
[27:09] | She’s supposed to be a niece of Henry Flagler, | 她好像是亨利·弗拉格勒的侄女 |
[27:09] | 亨利·弗拉格勒 美国工业家 标准石油 佛罗里达州东海岸铁路的创始人 | |
[27:11] | the fellow who set up | 就是那个 |
[27:12] | the Standard Oil Trust with Rockefeller. | 和洛克菲勒一起创立标准石油公司的人 |
[27:14] | What do you mean, she’s “supposed” to be his niece? | 为什么你说她”好像”是他的侄女 |
[27:17] | Well, no one can work out how she could be, | 没人搞得清楚她到底是谁 |
[27:18] | but he gives her a huge allowance, | 但他给她大笔零花钱 |
[27:20] | so there must be a link. | 所以他们肯定有关系 |
[27:22] | Her mother is most respectable, at any rate, | 无论如何 她母亲很受人尊重 |
[27:25] | whatever the truth of it, and they both go everywhere. | 不管真相如何 她们都云游各处 |
[27:27] | It’s odd how some people are forgiven their past misdemeanors, | 真奇怪有些人的错误会被轻易原谅 |
[27:30] | while others, like Mrs. Chamberlain, | 而另一些人 比如张伯伦夫人 |
[27:32] | must pay for them forever. | 要为此付出永恒的代价 |
[27:34] | The trick is to find your way into the first group. | 秘诀就是进入第一种人的圈子里 |
[27:37] | Certainly, you’ve found your way around New York. | 显然 你已经找到了在纽约的生存之道 |
[27:41] | I envy you. | 我很羡慕你 |
[27:43] | Never mind that now. | 先别说这些了 |
[27:45] | What should I mind? | 那该说什么 |
[27:47] | That I love you. | 我爱你 |
[27:50] | That my love for you is the best part of me by far. | 爱上你是我今生最好的事 |
[27:59] | You’re a good man, Tom. | 你是个好人 汤姆 |
[28:01] | Think of your kindness to me when I was a stranger | 当我身处绝境时 你与我还只是陌生人 |
[28:03] | in desperate straits. | 你却对我施以援助 |
[28:05] | Isn’t it time we took control of our own lives? | 难道现在不该由我们掌控自己的生活吗 |
[28:08] | We’re young, Marian. | 我们还年轻 玛丽安 |
[28:10] | We love each other. | 我们彼此相爱 |
[28:11] | What more do we need to know? | 无需多言 |
[28:13] | – Otherwise- – Otherwise what? | -否则 -否则什么 |
[28:15] | There are so many distractions in New York. | 纽约的诱惑太多 |
[28:18] | So many sideshows. | 太多使人分心的东西了 |
[28:20] | It must be easy for people to drift down the wrong path, | 就算人们找到对的人 |
[28:22] | even when they know the right one. | 也很容易误入歧途 |
[28:24] | Why do you say that? | 何出此言 |
[28:27] | I just want us to be strong enough, | 我只想让趁现在还有机会 |
[28:30] | to take hold of our future now, when we have the chance. | 让我们的关系坚定到能掌控未来 |
[28:35] | Excuse me, but shall we have some luncheon? | 打扰了 我们该用餐了吧 |
[28:40] | – She gave you no warning? – Nothing. | -她没警告你吗 -没有 |
[28:43] | Out of the blue. | 完全出乎意料 |
[28:44] | I was helping her to change for dinner when she said it. | 她说这话时我正在帮她更换晚餐的衣服 |
[28:47] | “I think it’s time for us to part.” | “我觉得是时候分道扬镳了” |
[28:49] | Had my hands on her neck at the time. | 我的手当时在她脖子上 |
[28:50] | I wanted to tighten my grip | 我就该一使劲 |
[28:52] | and squeeze the life out of her. | 把她勒死 |
[28:53] | I wish you had. | 我真希望你那么做 |
[28:54] | It would have made things simpler for us both. | 这会让我们都省事不少 |
[28:57] | – So you’re leaving right away? – I am. | -那你打算立马走了吗 -是的 |
[29:00] | But I may see to Mr. Church before I go. | 但我走之前要去见见丘奇先生 |
[29:02] | He wanted me out as much as she did. | 他和她一样 都想让我走 |
[29:05] | Well, I shall miss your instruction | 等我回到那家里 |
[29:08] | when I get back in that house. | 我会想念你的建议 |
[29:10] | Things will be easier for you soon. | 一切对你来说很快就会容易些 |
[29:12] | Mrs. Russell is bringing her daughter out, at last, | 罗素夫人终于肯打算让女儿亮相了 |
[29:15] | so you’ll be able to meet her all over town. | 到时候你就能在各处见到她 |
[29:17] | That’s good news. | 真是好消息 |
[29:18] | Go gently, but get in there fast. | 别太高调 但要迅速 |
[29:20] | Miss Gladys can be stubborn, but that can work in your favor | 格拉迪斯小姐很固执 如果你能让她爱上你 |
[29:22] | if you can make her think she loves you. | 她肯定会痴心一片 |
[29:24] | They got rid of Archie Baldwin. | 他们摆脱了阿奇·鲍德温 |
[29:25] | She’ll be stronger next time. | 她下次会更坚强 |
[29:28] | Why does it matter so much to you? | 为什么这事对你这么重要 |
[29:30] | Because the she-wolf | 因为那野心勃勃的女人 |
[29:31] | is planning something big for Miss Gladys, | 对格拉迪斯小姐的婚事期望很高 |
[29:34] | and it would warm my heart | 看到她梦想幻灭 |
[29:35] | to see her high hopes shattered. | 会令我非常高兴 |
[29:38] | Not much of a compliment for me. | 怎么听着不像好话呢 |
[29:45] | – This was left for you. – By whom? | -这是给你的 -谁送来的 |
[29:47] | That lady’s maid from across the street. | 对街女士的女佣 |
[29:49] | Miss Turner, is it? | 叫特纳小姐吧 |
[29:53] | It seems she’s leaving. | 看来她要离职了 |
[29:55] | Has she written to say goodbye? | 她写信来道别吗 |
[29:56] | In a way. | 算是吧 |
[29:58] | And to tell me | 顺便来告诉我 |
[29:59] | who wrote the letter which came | 我在对面罗素家 |
[30:00] | while you were serving luncheon | 而你在这服侍午餐的那天 |
[30:02] | and I was across the road in Mrs. Russell’s house. | 是谁写了信送到这里来 |
[30:05] | – I’m sorry about that. – Well, you weren’t to know. | -我很抱歉 -无妨 你也不知道信的内容 |
[30:07] | What will you do about it? | 那你打算怎么办 |
[30:09] | I’m not sure. | 我不确定 |
[30:10] | I’ll have to think about that. | 我得考虑一下 |
[30:13] | They say revenge is a dish best served cold. | 俗话说君子报仇十年不晚 |
[30:23] | This is marvelous. | 真美妙 |
[30:24] | I’m so pleased. It’s by Monsieur Degas. | 谢谢你 这是德加的作品 |
[30:24] | 德加 法国画家 雕塑家 该作品为著名雕塑的《小舞女》 | |
[30:28] | He’s one of the group they call the Impressionists. | 他是印象派画家之一 |
[30:31] | We were in Paris in 1863 | 1863年的时候我们在巴黎 |
[30:33] | when they mounted their first exhibition. | 当时他们首次办展 |
[30:35] | It was known as Le Salon des Refusés. | 名为”落选者沙龙” |
[30:39] | They’d been turned down | 因为他们的作品 |
[30:40] | by the Académie des Beaux-Arts, you see. | 被法兰西艺术学院拒绝了 |
[30:44] | It’s a favorite of mine. | 这是我的最爱 |
[30:46] | You have a wonderful eye. | 你真是独具慧眼 |
[30:48] | Before I go, may I offer a little | 我走之前 能否多言一句 |
[30:51] | of what I’ve gleaned from my own experience? | 从我亲身经历中学到的箴言 |
[30:55] | Of course. | 当然 |
[30:56] | When you’re young, | 年轻时你觉得 |
[30:57] | it feels a small thing to turn your back on society, | 背离社会不是什么大问题 |
[31:01] | but as the years go on, | 但年岁渐长 |
[31:03] | it can be a lonely place out there. | 便会变得孤独寂寞 |
[31:05] | Make sure you are very much in love, as I was, | 你们要确保像我当年那样深深相爱 |
[31:10] | or there may come a day | 否则终有一日 |
[31:11] | when the road you’ve taken does not seem worth it. | 你会后悔选择了这条路 |
[31:15] | And now I must leave you. | 我不打扰你们了 |
[31:16] | Please don’t go without coming to find me. | 请不要不辞而别 |
[31:25] | Ever the diplomat. | 真是能言善辩 |
[31:28] | But our love will be enough. | 但我们的爱已足矣 |
[31:30] | I know it. | 我知道 |
[31:31] | You sound as if you’re trying to convince yourself. | 你听上去像是在说服自己 |
[31:34] | I am convinced. | 我很坚定 |
[31:37] | The fact remains, | 但依旧 |
[31:40] | I don’t want a quarrel, and I don’t want a scandal. | 我不想引起争议或丑闻 |
[31:42] | Not if we can avoid it. | 如果能避免的话 |
[31:43] | I know you mean your aunts, | 你是说你姑姑 |
[31:44] | but why can’t we just stand up to them? | 为何不挺身而出反抗她们 |
[31:46] | It isn’t Aunt Ada. She’ll help us if she can. | 不是艾达姑姑 她会尽力帮我们 |
[31:49] | It’s Aunt Agnes. | 艾格妮丝姑姑才是问题 |
[31:55] | Do you love me, Marian? | 玛丽安 你爱我吗 |
[31:58] | As much as I love you? | 你的爱和我一样深吗 |
[32:01] | That’s what I need to know. | 我需要知道这点 |
[32:03] | What do you think? | 你觉得呢 |
[32:05] | Marry me. | 嫁给我 |
[32:07] | Marry me now. | 现在就嫁给我 |
[32:24] | I’ll go and find Mrs. Chamberlain | 我去找张伯伦夫人 |
[32:26] | and say goodbye. | 与她道别 |
[32:30] | She’s a clever and interesting woman. | 她是个聪慧风趣的女人 |
[32:34] | Although, I better not let Mrs. Astor hear me. | 但这句话最好还是别让阿斯特夫人听见 |
[32:36] | Touché. | 没错 |
[32:45] | I’d like it a little fuller here. | 我希望这里再填满一点 |
[32:47] | If madam wishes, of course. | 如您所愿 夫人 |
[32:49] | But I should point out | 但我得说 |
[32:51] | that bustles are getting smaller for most people. | 多数人开始穿小一号的裙撑了 |
[32:53] | I am not most people. | 我不是多数人 |
[32:56] | Agnes. | 艾格妮丝 |
[32:58] | If Marian and Mr. Raikes did come to an arrangement– | 如果玛丽安和雷克斯先生想出了办法 |
[33:02] | What have you heard? | 你听说什么了 |
[33:03] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[33:05] | I just meant that if they did marry, | 我是想说 如果他们真的结婚 |
[33:08] | you wouldn’t really cut them, would you? | 你不会真的与他们断绝关系吧 |
[33:10] | Don’t you want me to? | 你不想我这么做吗 |
[33:12] | No. | 不想 |
[33:13] | Not at all. | 完全不想 |
[33:14] | I’d like them to think I would. | 我希望他们觉得我会 |
[33:17] | It wouldn’t make much difference to Marian. | 但对玛丽安来说没有太大区别 |
[33:20] | She doesn’t care whether Mrs. Astor receives her. | 她不在乎阿斯特夫人是否会接受她 |
[33:23] | Maybe not, but he does. | 也许吧 但雷克斯在乎 |
[33:25] | She may think he can give it all up without a pang, | 玛丽安可能以为他会毫不犹豫地放弃一切 |
[33:27] | but I know better. | 但我才不信 |
[33:29] | Isn’t it just possible you may have misjudged him? | 是否有可能你错看他了呢 |
[33:32] | It is just possible an earthquake may destroy New York, | 地震有可能摧毁纽约 但可能性不大 |
[33:35] | but it is not likely. | 我看错的可能性也不大 |
[33:38] | This isn’t right. | 这条不合适 |
[33:44] | Hello. | 你好 |
[33:47] | What can I do for you? | 有什么事吗 |
[33:49] | I knew you were still here, and I wanted to see you. | 我知道你还在 我想见您 |
[33:52] | Alone. | 单独会面 |
[33:53] | Goodness. | 天啊 |
[33:55] | This sounds serious. | 听上去是很重要的事 |
[33:56] | I want to talk some more | 我想再谈谈 |
[33:57] | about my having a career in architecture. | 关于我从事建筑设计行业的事 |
[33:59] | Not this again. | 别又是这个 |
[34:01] | You’ve asked once, and I’ve said no. | 你提过了 我拒绝了 |
[34:03] | So it didn’t make any difference that Stanford White, | 斯坦福·怀特先生可能是最伟大的建筑师之一 |
[34:05] | potentially one of our greatest architects, | 他觉得我有建筑设计的天赋 |
[34:07] | thought I might have talent? | 这也不能让您改变心意吗 |
[34:09] | Great Stanford White turned your head | 伟大的斯坦福·怀特在建造我们房子时 |
[34:11] | when he built our house. | 把你带上了歧路 |
[34:13] | I don’t entirely blame him. | 我倒也不完全怪他 |
[34:15] | I blame myself. | 我也怪自己 |
[34:16] | I should have been watching. | 我应该好好监督你的 |
[34:18] | What would you prefer me to do? | 那您想让我从事什么行业 |
[34:20] | What you’re doing now, of course. | 当然是你现在在做的 |
[34:22] | You must study my business and take it over in time. | 你必须得学习我的行业 将来继承生意 |
[34:26] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[34:27] | Father, you’re a genius. | 父亲 您是位天才 |
[34:29] | You made a fortune that will go down in legend. | 您创造了一笔可称为传奇的财富 |
[34:31] | I doubt there are a dozen men as successful as you in this country. | 整个国家可与您并肩的人不会超过十个 |
[34:34] | I doubt there are a hundred in the world. | 全世界都不会有一百人 |
[34:36] | You are very kind. | 你过奖了 |
[34:37] | What chance do you think I have of equaling | 您觉得 如果我追随您的脚步 |
[34:39] | that if I follow in your footsteps? | 有多大可能达到同等成就 |
[34:40] | I must always be the disappointing son of a great man. | 别人一定会说虎父犬子 |
[34:44] | The poor second act. The failure. | 说我不争气 是个失败者 |
[34:47] | But if I take another path entirely, like architecture, | 但如果我走截然不同的道路 比如建筑设计 |
[34:50] | I have the chance to make a mark of my own. | 我就有机会留下自己的成就 |
[34:53] | And my companies? | 那我的公司呢 |
[34:55] | You’ll find and train men to take them over, | 你会找到合适人选 培养他们接管公司 |
[34:57] | who’ll protect my future and Gladys’s | 让他们保护我和格拉迪斯的家业 |
[34:59] | and make sure the business outlives us all. | 确保您的事业能传承下去 |
[35:06] | You’re persuasive. | 你很有说服力 |
[35:09] | I’ll give you that. | 我承认 |
[35:11] | And I promise to think about it. | 我保证会好好考虑 |
[35:13] | But right now I have some pressing matters of my own | 但我现在有些紧急事务 |
[35:15] | which stop me concentrating much on anything else. | 必须要集中精神处理 |
[35:17] | The train business, I know. | 火车事故 我知道 |
[35:20] | Well, I’ll see you at the house. | 我们家里见 |
[35:23] | And, Father, | 父亲 |
[35:25] | I wish you luck, really. | 我真心地祝您好运 |
[35:28] | And I wish you luck. | 我也祝你好运 |
[35:30] | I wish you would. | 我希望您是真心的 |
[35:37] | So she’s gone, | 她走了 |
[35:38] | and you’ve lost your spy in the Russell house. | 你在罗素家的奸细没了 |
[35:41] | Yes. | 对 |
[35:42] | But things will be easier in the future. | 但以后事情会容易点 |
[35:45] | Gladys’s mother is bringing her out, | 格拉迪斯的母亲要让她亮相了 |
[35:47] | and after that, she’ll be at plenty of parties all over town. | 之后 她将参加城里各处的宴会 |
[35:50] | – Besides… – Besides what? | -而且… -而且什么 |
[35:52] | It won’t help with Gladys, if she hears of it, | 如果格拉迪斯听说了 对我的打算没好处 |
[35:54] | but it may play well when people learn | 但如果人们听说特纳被送走 |
[35:56] | Turner was sent away because she and I were lovers. | 是因为她是我的情人 可能对我有益 |
[36:00] | A smokescreen to hide your true nature? | 掩藏你本性的障眼法 |
[36:02] | Don’t talk like that. I hate to be defined. | 别这么说 我不喜欢被贴标签 |
[36:04] | And it doesn’t matter that she was a lady’s maid? | 就算特纳只是夫人的贴身女仆也没关系吗 |
[36:06] | Don’t be such a snob. | 别这么势利 |
[36:08] | The ladies might take exception, | 夫人们可能对此有异议 |
[36:09] | but their husbands won’t. | 但她们的丈夫可不会 |
[36:11] | Did you plan this when you first took up with Miss Turner? | 你第一次约特纳小姐出来时 就计划好了吗 |
[36:14] | No. | 不 |
[36:15] | But I’m a great believer | 但我深信一个准则 |
[36:16] | in turning every chance encounter to my own advantage. | “抓住每次机缘 将其转换为自己的好处” |
[36:27] | You saw Mr. Raikes in the street? | 你在街上看见雷克斯先生了 |
[36:29] | You know what she means, Agnes. | 你知道她的意思 艾格妮丝 |
[36:32] | Mr. Raikes is an old friend of Marian’s, | 雷克斯先生是玛丽安的老朋友 |
[36:34] | and they met by chance. | 他们在街上偶遇了 |
[36:35] | But was it by chance? | 真是偶遇吗 |
[36:37] | The point is, I was pleased to hear | 重点是 我很高兴听说 |
[36:39] | how far he’s come since he arrived, | 他到这之后取得了这么大成功 |
[36:40] | and I thought you would be too. | 我觉得你听了也会高兴 |
[36:42] | Has he come so very far? | 他真的取得很大成功了吗 |
[36:44] | Well, he’s friendly with the Rikers now, | 他现在与莱克一家交好 |
[36:47] | and the Rockwells, | 还有洛克威尔一家 |
[36:48] | and last week, he dined with Mrs. Randolph. | 上周 他与兰道夫夫人共进晚餐 |
[36:50] | Do all his friends have names beginning with R? | 他所有的朋友姓氏都是以”R”开头吗 |
[36:53] | I know you think he only mixes with the new people– | 我知道 你觉得他只和新贵来往 |
[36:56] | Like Mrs. Russell. Another R. | 比如罗素夫人 又一个”R” |
[36:58] | Exactly, but it isn’t true. | 是的 但不只是这样 |
[36:59] | You know the Rikers, and you know Mrs. Randolph. | 你也认识莱克一家 认识兰道夫夫人 |
[37:04] | Aurora Fane loves him. | 奥萝拉·费恩就很喜欢他 |
[37:06] | Aurora has developed a certain social promiscuity recently. | 奥萝拉最近的社交圈子很混乱 |
[37:10] | – But you’re fond of Aurora. – I’m fond of you. | -但你喜欢奥萝拉 -我也喜欢你 |
[37:13] | It doesn’t mean you are without fault. | 但不代表你就没有缺点 |
[37:15] | You are not being fair, Aunt Agnes. | 你这样不公平 艾格妮丝姑姑 |
[37:17] | If you are saying I am not blinded by his looks | 如果你想说 我没有被他的外表所迷惑 |
[37:19] | and so-called charm, then you would be right. | 和所谓的魅力 那你说得没错 |
[37:37] | Oh, you’re going out? | 你要出去吗 |
[37:39] | I was of two minds about telling you. | 我正犹豫要不要告诉你 |
[37:42] | Mr. Fortune has asked me to accompany him | 福琼先生让我陪他一起 |
[37:44] | to the turning on of the lights. | 去观看点灯仪式 |
[37:46] | We’re both going to write about it for the Globe. | 我们都要为《环球报》撰写此次报道 |
[37:48] | – I’m so jealous. – I knew you would be. | -我好羡慕 -我就知道你会羡慕 |
[37:51] | I think it’s a shame you’re not going | 我觉得你不跟雷克斯先生一起 |
[37:53] | with Mr. Raikes to Mrs. Russell’s party. | 去参加罗素夫人的派对真是可惜了 |
[37:56] | There’s no more room in the carriage. | 马车坐不下了 |
[37:58] | She should get a bigger carriage. | 她该叫一辆更大的马车 |
[38:07] | Your troops are waiting for you in the drawing room, my dear. | 你的军团都在客厅等你呢 亲爱的 |
[38:11] | And I’m leaving too. | 我也要走了 |
[38:12] | I wish you were coming with us. | 真希望你能跟我们一起走 |
[38:14] | I like your spirit. | 我喜欢你的精气神 |
[38:16] | We won’t be defeated, George. | 我们不会被打败 乔治 |
[38:24] | Taming electricity is probably | 控制电力大概是 |
[38:26] | the most important innovation of our lifetime. | 我们这辈子最重要的发明了 |
[38:29] | And is that something to celebrate? | 这是值得庆祝的事吗 |
[38:31] | I think so. I wish I was there. | 我想是的 真希望我在场 |
[38:34] | To see Park Row illuminated? | 看公园街被点亮吗 |
[38:36] | But with what sort of people? | 但跟哪些人作伴 |
[38:38] | Ruffians, thieves, and worse. | 暴徒 窃贼和更糟的乌合之众 |
[38:41] | Mrs. Russell’s taking a party. | 罗素夫人要举办派对 |
[38:42] | I rest my case. | 我说什么来着 |
[38:44] | Miss Scott’s going too. | 斯科特小姐也要去 |
[38:46] | To cover it for her newspaper. | 为她的报纸写报道 |
[38:47] | And I will read about it, | 之后我会去看 |
[38:49] | like civilized people do. | 像文明人那样 |
[38:50] | I’m sure Miss Scott will be able to tell us | 我相信斯科特小姐一定会告诉我们一切 |
[38:52] | all we need to know. | 我们需要知道的事 |
[38:54] | Oh, don’t worry. I wasn’t planning to go without your permission. | 别担心 我没打算不经你允许就出门 |
[38:59] | You’re very obedient all of a sudden. | 你怎么突然这么听话 |
[39:02] | What are you planning to spring on me? | 你给我准备了什么惊喜 |
[39:04] | Now go. | 去吧 |
[39:05] | Ring for that reprobate Bannister | 摇铃通知那个堕落的班尼斯特 |
[39:06] | and ask about dinner. | 让他准备晚餐 |
[39:08] | If possible, I’d like an early night. | 有可能的话 我想早点休息 |
[39:33] | Some more champagne, ma’am? | 再来些香槟吗 女士 |
[39:35] | Let me. | 我来吧 |
[39:38] | – Miss Bingham? – I shouldn’t, but I will. | -宾瀚小姐 -我不该喝 但还是来点吧 |
[39:42] | That ought to be my motto. | 这话该成为我的座右铭 |
[39:45] | You must have a very understanding wife, | 你的妻子肯定非常善解人意 |
[39:47] | Mr. McAllister. | 麦卡利斯特先生 |
[39:48] | Mrs. Fane watches me like a hawk. | 费恩夫人就像鹰一般盯着我 |
[39:50] | I do not. | 我才没有 |
[39:51] | But it seems a shame that your wife isn’t with us. | 但真可惜你的妻子没一起过来 |
[39:54] | Mrs. McAllister is as happy as a clam | 麦卡利斯特夫人像蛤蜊般开心 |
[39:57] | tucked up in Newport listening to the sounds of the sea. | 窝在纽波特倾听海浪的声音 |
[40:01] | I’ve never been to Newport, | 我从没去过纽波特 |
[40:02] | but one hears it spoken of so highly. | 但听说那里很不错 |
[40:03] | My dear Mrs. Russell. | 亲爱的罗素夫人 |
[40:05] | Of course you must come to Newport. | 你必须来纽波特一游 |
[40:08] | I insist. | 我坚持 |
[40:09] | The town is just waiting for you | 整个镇都等着你 |
[40:11] | to tear down its defenses and conquer it. | 撤掉它的防御 大踏步去征服它 |
[40:14] | Must everything in life present a challenge? | 生活中的一切都必须是挑战吗 |
[40:16] | Everything worth having. | 只是一切值得拥有的事物 |
[40:18] | But surely the point of going there is to be by the sea. | 但去那里的目的肯定是为了去海边吧 |
[40:21] | To feel the wind in your hair and listen to the waves. | 感受海风吹拂头发 倾听涛声 |
[40:23] | And that’s all free. | 那些都是免费的 |
[40:24] | Charming as you make it sound, | 听你说感觉一切都很美好 |
[40:26] | I don’t think you have quite captured | 我想你还没有完全理解 |
[40:29] | – the spirit of Newport. – Hardly. | -纽波特的真谛 -完全没有 |
[40:31] | You need four outfits a day, at the minimum, | 每天至少需要四套衣服 |
[40:33] | decent jewels, and a full dance card. | 上好的首饰 和一整张邀舞卡 |
[40:36] | I see. | 我明白了 |
[40:37] | Do you know Newport, Mr. Raikes? | 你熟悉纽波特吗 雷克斯先生 |
[40:39] | Not yet. | 还没有 |
[40:40] | My mother has a place there, | 我母亲在那里有房子 |
[40:42] | and we use it a lot in the season. | 我们在社交季时经常使用 |
[40:43] | And a very nice place it is too. | 而且是个非常不错的房子 |
[40:46] | You must let me know | 如果你要前去 |
[40:47] | when you’re planning to visit, Mr. Raikes. | 请务必告诉我 雷克斯先生 |
[40:50] | I will, Miss Bingham. Thank you. | 一定 宾瀚小姐 谢谢 |
[40:52] | I should make a plan at once. | 我现在就计划 |
[40:53] | You won’t regret it. | 你肯定不会后悔 |
[40:55] | Then I shall have to take you up on your offer. | 那我就欣然接受你的邀请了 |
[40:57] | How is it that we’ve never met, Mr. Raikes? | 我们之前怎么从来没见过面 雷克斯先生 |
[40:59] | In a year’s time, or less, most of the cottages… | 一年后 甚至更短时间 多数的乡间别墅… |
[41:31] | Thank you. You can keep the change. | 谢谢 不用找零了 |
[41:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:33] | How do you feel about the light? | 您对电灯有什么想法 |
[41:34] | – Are you excited about it? – Oh, yes, I certainly am. | -为之感到兴奋吗 -对 非常兴奋 |
[41:36] | Can I quote you on that? | 我能引述您的话吗 |
[41:38] | – Thank you so much. – You’re welcome. | -非常感谢 -不客气 |
[41:40] | Excuse me. I got us snacks. | 借过 我买了小食 |
[41:43] | – For you. – Thank you. | -给你的 -谢谢 |
[41:45] | Look. | 快看 |
[41:47] | They’re assembling now. | 他们开始组装了 |
[41:50] | Let’s get a little closer. | 我们靠近些 |
[41:53] | Some folks I spoke to wonder how long it will take | 我采访的一部分人好奇有色人种 |
[41:55] | for colored people to have electricity in their homes. | 家中用上电需要多长时间 |
[41:58] | Mostly they’re just here to enjoy the lights, though. | 不过多数人只是来这里欣赏电灯仪式的 |
[42:02] | Well, it will be a marvel to behold, | 这一定是个见证非凡的时刻 |
[42:03] | that much is true. | 毋庸置疑 |
[42:17] | Congratulations. This is quite an achievement. | 恭喜 真是大成就 |
[42:20] | This is the age of achievement, Mr. Russell. | 如今是成就年代 罗素先生 |
[42:22] | An age when anything is possible. | 一个一切皆有可能的年代 |
[42:24] | I like that, and I will remember it. | 我喜欢这话 我会记住的 |
[42:38] | Ladies and gentlemen, | 女士们先生们 |
[42:41] | may I introduce Mr. Thomas Edison! | 有请托马斯·爱迪生 |
[43:16] | Ten! | 十 |
[43:18] | Nine. | 九 |
[43:20] | Eight. | 八 |
[43:22] | Seven. | 七 |
[43:23] | Six. | 六 |
[43:25] | Five. | 五 |
[43:27] | Four. | 四 |
[43:28] | Three. | 三 |
[43:30] | Two. | 二 |
[43:31] | One! | 一 |
[44:36] | So beautiful. Just… | 真美 太… |
[44:41] | This is a turning point in history, Mrs. Russell. | 今夜是个历史转折点 罗素夫人 |
[44:45] | But are we headed in the right direction? | 但我们是否处在正确的前进方向上 |
[44:48] | We don’t have a choice in the matter, Mr. McAllister. | 对此我们别无选择 麦卡利斯特先生 |
[44:50] | We must go where history takes us. | 我们必须顺应时代潮流 |