时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:44] | Surely it’s a hearing, not a trial. | 这只是个听证会 不是庭审 |
[01:46] | It is true, there will be no jury to persuade, | 没错 不会有陪审团要说服 |
[01:48] | only a judge. | 只有法官 |
[01:49] | But if the judge finds that you should go for trial, | 但如果法官觉得你应该上庭 |
[01:51] | then that will not augur well. | 那就不妙了 |
[01:53] | So if we lose at this stage, | 所以如果这次我们失败了 |
[01:54] | then we are likely to lose again. | 很可能会再次失败 |
[01:55] | – Things do not look good. – Who’s side are you on? | -形势不容乐观 -你是哪边的 |
[01:57] | Our job is to prepare Mr. Russell | 我们的工作是帮罗素先生准备好 |
[01:59] | for the questions he will be asked. | 他将被问到的问题 |
[02:01] | Now, what else is there to know about Dixon? | 关于迪克逊 还有什么我们不知道的事 |
[02:03] | Have we looked under every rock? | 我们查得够彻底吗 |
[02:05] | I’m not sure what there is to say. | 我不知道还有什么要补充的 |
[02:06] | He leads the team that built the engine. | 他是发动机制造团队的领导 |
[02:08] | A classic middle manager. | 是典型的中层管理人员 |
[02:10] | Has he been living above his means? | 他总是入不敷出吗 |
[02:12] | Has he been stealing to pay for it? | 他可曾为了还债而偷窃 |
[02:13] | There must be other frauds hidden in his figures. | 他的数据中一定隐藏着其他欺诈行为 |
[02:15] | They haven’t found anything yet. | 他们还是什么都没找到 |
[02:18] | But you’ve looked through his bank statements? | 但你已经看过他的银行流水了 |
[02:19] | It cost a bit of money, but we have. | 我们为此花了点钱 但我们看过了 |
[02:22] | So the long and the short of it is, | 所以总的来说 |
[02:24] | you are all here to represent my interests, | 你们都是来代表我的利益 |
[02:26] | but you have come up with absolutely nothing! | 但你们没想出任何办法 |
[02:31] | Put more detectives on it. | 多派点侦探去查 |
[02:32] | Talk to Pinkerton himself. Do whatever it takes. | 跟平克顿本人谈谈 不惜一切代价 |
[02:35] | But you must give me something to work with. | 反正你们得给我查出点有用的东西来 |
[02:46] | Monsieur, quick. She’s on her way there now. | 先生 快点 她在往那边去的路上了 |
[02:48] | – Where is Mr. Church? – I’m here. What is it? | -丘奇先生去哪了 -我在这里 什么事 |
[02:50] | The mistress is on her way to the ballroom. | 夫人在去舞厅的路上了 |
[02:52] | – She’s ten minutes early. – I can’t help that. | -她提前了十分钟 -这我也没办法 |
[02:54] | Come on. | 快去 |
[02:56] | We’ll take out the piano and build the podium | 我们要把钢琴搬走 在这个凹角里 |
[02:58] | for the band in this alcove. | 给乐队做个指挥台 |
[02:59] | Who will make that? | 谁来做 |
[03:00] | It’s already made and stored in the basement. | 已经做好了 放在地下室里 |
[03:02] | See it’s set up while we’re away. | 趁我们出门的时候把它装好 |
[03:03] | Yes, ma’am. | 好的 夫人 |
[03:04] | Now, we’ll be in Newport for ten days. | 我们要去纽波特住十天 |
[03:06] | And when I get back, I want to see the menus | 等我回来时 我要看到为住客提供的 |
[03:07] | for the buffet supper at midnight | 午夜自助晚餐 |
[03:09] | and breakfast for the stayers at 6:00. | 和清晨六点早餐的菜单 |
[03:10] | I’ll have them ready. | 我会准备好的 |
[03:12] | Church, do you have any questions? | 丘奇 你有什么问题吗 |
[03:15] | Everything’s under control, ma’am. | 一切尽在掌控 夫人 |
[03:16] | And the dresses for the quadrille? | 那跳方阵舞穿的裙子呢 |
[03:18] | I’m managing that. | 交给我吧 |
[03:19] | Won’t the girls need fittings? | 姑娘们不用试衣服吗 |
[03:20] | Of course, but don’t worry. | 当然要试 不过别担心 |
[03:21] | I’ve written to their mothers. | 我已经写信给她们的母亲了 |
[03:23] | That’s all for now. | 暂时就这些 |
[03:24] | Very good, ma’am. | 好的 夫人 |
[03:26] | What about my dress to change into | 那我在跳完方阵舞之后 |
[03:27] | – when the quadrille is done? – What about it? | -要换的衣服呢 -怎么了 |
[03:29] | Don’t you want to know what I’d like? | 你不想知道我喜欢什么衣服吗 |
[03:30] | No need. It’s already ordered. | 没必要 我已经订好了 |
[03:31] | They have your measurements, | 他们有你的尺码 |
[03:32] | and they’ll fit it when we’re back in New York. | 等我们回纽约时 他们会按你的尺码做好 |
[03:36] | I know Mrs. Fish. | 我认识菲什夫人 |
[03:37] | Why don’t I propose myself and join you there? | 不如我毛遂自荐 跟你们在那边汇合 |
[03:39] | She won’t mind. | 她不会介意 |
[03:42] | Wouldn’t you like me to come? | 你不想让我去吗 |
[03:44] | Of course. | 当然想 |
[03:45] | I should get started, or we’ll miss the train | 我得开始吃了 否则我们会错过 |
[03:47] | she wants us to catch. | 她想让我们坐的那班火车 |
[03:49] | What’s the matter? | 怎么回事 |
[03:51] | Larry Russell told me that his mother and sister | 拉里·罗素跟我说他的母亲和妹妹 |
[03:54] | are going to be in Newport at the same time as me. | 会跟我同时去纽波特 |
[03:56] | So you’re still determined on her? | 所以你还是决定要追她 |
[03:58] | I am. | 是的 |
[03:59] | And bumping into her at Newport would be perfect. | 如果能跟她在纽波特偶遇就太好了 |
[04:02] | John, be reasonable. | 约翰 理智点 |
[04:05] | What did you think would happen? | 你以为会发生什么 |
[04:06] | That doesn’t mean that I want it to happen. | 但这并不意味着我希望这样 |
[04:08] | I want what’s best for you. | 我是在为你着想 |
[04:10] | And you should want what’s best for me. | 你也应该为我着想 |
[04:11] | The difference is, I love you. | 但不同的是 我爱你 |
[04:13] | For Christ’s sake. | 我的天 |
[04:15] | – Where do you think we are? – But I do. | -你以为我们在什么地方 -但我真的爱你 |
[04:17] | And I don’t see why we can’t just carry on as before. | 而且我不明白我们为什么不能像从前那样 |
[04:20] | Because I don’t have enough money | 因为我没有足够金钱 |
[04:21] | for the way I want to live. | 支付我想要的生活 |
[04:23] | And because behavior which attracts no gossip | 而且我们年轻时不会惹人非议的行为 |
[04:26] | in the young man starts to make people wonder | 会随着年龄的增长开始变得 |
[04:28] | as we get older. | 让人猜疑 |
[04:31] | I can’t have that. | 我不能任凭那种事 |
[04:34] | Are you finished, messieurs? | 你们用完餐了吗 先生们 |
[04:37] | Yes. I think we probably are. | 是的 应该差不多了 |
[04:46] | Where’s Mr. Bannister? | 班尼斯特先生在哪里 |
[04:47] | In the dining room. | 在餐厅里 |
[04:49] | Do you think he might let me go early today? | 你们觉得他今天会让我提前走吗 |
[04:50] | I doubt it. | 我想不会 |
[04:52] | An afternoon off means an afternoon off. | 下午休假就是下午休假 |
[05:02] | Cousin Oscar. | 奥斯卡表哥 |
[05:04] | – Are you here for luncheon? – I had an early lunch. | -你在这里吃午餐吗 -我提前吃过午餐了 |
[05:06] | I just looked in to see Mama. | 我只是来看看妈妈 |
[05:08] | Larry Russell and I are catching | 我要跟拉里·罗素 |
[05:10] | the ferry and train to Newport. | 赶轮渡和火车去纽波特 |
[05:11] | Well, I’ll come and see you off. | 好 我去给你送别 |
[05:17] | Good day, Mr. Russell. | 日安 罗素先生 |
[05:19] | Hello, Miss Brook. It’s nice to see you. | 你好 布鲁克小姐 很高兴见到你 |
[05:21] | But I’m afraid I must tear your cousin away | 但我恐怕得把你表哥带走 |
[05:23] | or we’ll be late. | 不然我们会迟到的 |
[05:24] | I gather you’re off to Newport? | 我猜你们是要去纽波特 |
[05:25] | Father can’t get away, | 父亲去不了 |
[05:26] | but Oscar and I are joining Mrs. Fish, | 但奥斯卡和我会跟菲什夫人一起去 |
[05:28] | while Mother and Gladys are coming tomorrow | 母亲和格拉迪斯明天去 |
[05:29] | – to stay with the McAllisters. – Mr. Larry. | -跟麦卡利斯特家一起 -拉里先生 |
[05:31] | Mr. Clay sent these papers for Mr. Russell. | 克雷先生送了这些报纸来给罗素先生 |
[05:33] | It’s important that he have them as soon as possible. | 一定要尽快交给他 |
[05:36] | I’ll see that he gets them. | 我保证他会收到 |
[05:40] | – Who was that? – My father’s stenographer. | -她是谁 -我爸爸的速记员 |
[05:42] | She helps his secretary, Mr. Clay. | 她是克雷先生的秘书 |
[05:44] | Let me just give these to Church. | 我去把这些给丘奇 |
[05:48] | Did you know Gladys was going to be there when you accepted? | 你接受邀请时 知道格拉迪斯会去吗 |
[05:52] | I can’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[05:54] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[05:59] | Mind you look after your sister. | 请照顾好你妹妹 |
[06:01] | You’re right. Oscar’s a determined suitor. | 你说得对 奥斯卡是位坚定的追求者 |
[06:04] | But he’ll have to get past my mother, | 但他必须过我母亲那一关 |
[06:05] | and he’ll need all this tricks to do that. | 而且得使出浑身解数才能过关 |
[06:07] | I can believe it. Have a good time. | 我完全相信 好好享受 |
[06:09] | Miss Brook. | 再见 布鲁克小姐 |
[06:14] | So it’s beautiful there, no matter what. | 无论如何 那里很漂亮 |
[06:15] | Aurora, when did you get here? | 奥萝拉 你什么时候来的 |
[06:18] | One minute ago. | 一分钟前 |
[06:19] | Aurora’s going to Newport tomorrow. | 奥萝拉明天要去纽波特 |
[06:21] | Oh, how funny. | 太巧了 |
[06:23] | I’ve just been talking about Newport with Larry Russell. | 我刚跟拉里·罗素还聊起纽波特 |
[06:26] | He and Oscar are on their way to stay with Mrs. Fish. | 他跟奥斯卡要去菲什夫人家 |
[06:28] | Why does everyone have to go to Newport now? | 为什么现在每个人都得去纽波特 |
[06:31] | What’s wrong with Saratoga Springs? | 萨拉托加温泉市有什么不好吗 |
[06:31] | 位于纽约州 以温泉闻名 被列为美国国家历史地标 | |
[06:32] | It was very fashionable when I was a bride. | 我结婚那会 很流行去那里 |
[06:34] | Exactly. | 说的没错 |
[06:36] | Every summer we talk about taking a house there, | 每个夏天 我们都会聊起在那里买幢房子 |
[06:38] | but we never do. | 但一直没买 |
[06:39] | And now Mr. McAllister’s asked me up for ten days. | 如今麦卡利斯特先生邀请我去小住10天 |
[06:42] | You can’t be going alone to stay with Mr. McAllister? | 你不会是单独去麦卡利斯特先生家吧 |
[06:45] | I’d be safe as brandy if I were. | 即使如此 我也会很安全 |
[06:49] | Even so. | 即便这样 |
[06:50] | Larry told me he’s invited Mrs. Russell and her daughter. | 拉里告诉我 他邀请了罗素夫人和她的女儿 |
[06:52] | Must I hear of the Russells in every sentence anyone utters? | 你们说的每句话里都必须提到罗素一家吗 |
[06:55] | And Mrs. McAllister will be there. | 麦卡利斯特夫人也会去那里 |
[06:57] | Has Mrs. Russell accepted? | 罗素夫人接受邀请了吗 |
[06:59] | Can you doubt it? | 你居然怀疑这点 |
[07:00] | She’s muscling into New York. | 她正强行挤进旧约上流社会 |
[07:02] | She was bound to jam her foot in the door of Newport. | 一定会好好把握迈入纽波特上流社会的第一步 |
[07:04] | Mrs. Astor has finished renovating Beechwood, | 阿斯特夫人已翻新了比奇伍德的房子 |
[07:07] | so she’ll be spending her summers there from now on. | 从现在起 她会去那里过暑假 |
[07:10] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[07:11] | I do read the papers, Agnes. | 我还是会看报的 艾格妮丝 |
[07:13] | I don’t live at the bottom of an oubliette. | 我又不是住在密牢底部 |
[07:15] | You just talk as if you do. | 只是你的说话方式像而已 |
[07:18] | Are you staying for luncheon, my dear? | 你会留下来吃午餐吗 亲爱的 |
[07:19] | I can’t, Aunt Agnes. | 我没法留下来 艾格妮丝婶婶 |
[07:24] | I’ve told John he can leave early, | 我已告诉约翰他可以早点走 |
[07:26] | so I’ll be dealing with the coffee. | 由我来泡咖啡 |
[07:28] | You might ask John for some tips on how he served it | 你可以问问约翰 之前接替你的工作时 |
[07:30] | when he took over from you that time. | 他有哪些小诀窍 |
[07:32] | He managed things so efficiently. | 他的办事效率极高 |
[07:34] | Yes, ma’am. | 好的 夫人 |
[07:36] | All our staff seem to have | 我们所有的仆人 |
[07:37] | pressing engagements outside this house. | 似乎都在这幢房子外有要紧的约会 |
[07:39] | Servants must have a life, Aunt Agnes. | 仆人们必须有自己的生活 艾格妮丝姑姑 |
[07:42] | Why? | 为什么 |
[07:43] | Marian? | 玛丽安 |
[07:46] | What is it? | 怎么了 |
[07:47] | I don’t want to be one of those awful best friends | 我不想当那种以带来坏消息为乐的 |
[07:49] | who delights in bringing unwelcome news. | 差劲好朋友 |
[07:51] | Go on. | 说吧 |
[07:53] | I worry about your Mr. Raikes. | 我很担心你的雷克斯先生 |
[07:55] | He isn’t “My” Mr. Raikes, exactly. | 他并不是”我的”雷克斯先生 |
[07:58] | Well, if it isn’t, then I’m glad. | 如果不是 那就太好了 |
[08:01] | He seems to be everywhere these days. | 他这些天似乎无处不在 |
[08:02] | You know, we were in the same party | 知道吗 爱迪生点亮电灯那天 |
[08:04] | when Edison turned on his lights. | 我们在同一个派对上 |
[08:05] | He told me. | 他告诉我了 |
[08:08] | I just worry for you. | 我只是担心你 |
[08:10] | – Please don’t. – Marian, are you coming? | -请别担心 -玛丽安 你来吗 |
[08:12] | Now I’d better go in. | 我最好进去了 |
[08:13] | I’ll see you when you get back from Newport. | 等你从纽波特回来 我们再见吧 |
[08:15] | Enjoy yourself. | 祝你玩得愉快 |
[08:24] | Put it there, and be off with you. | 放在那里 你可以走了 |
[08:26] | Mr. Bannister says he’ll manage the coffee. | 班尼斯特先生说他来泡咖啡 |
[08:28] | – Where are you going? – Nowhere in particular. | -你要去哪里 -只是随便逛逛 |
[08:30] | I should get changed. | 我该去换衣服了 |
[08:39] | Why would he have flowers | 如果他只是随便逛逛 |
[08:40] | if he’s not going anywhere special? | 为什么要买束花 |
[08:42] | – Can you explain that? – I can. | -你能解释吗 -我可以 |
[08:44] | He’s not telling the truth. | 他不会说实话的 |
[08:45] | But it’s his business, not ours. | 但这是他的事 与我们无关 |
[08:46] | So we leave him to it. | 我们随便他吧 |
[08:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:50] | What’s he doing in the basement if he’s come to call? | 如果他是来拜访 那来地下室干什么 |
[08:53] | Bridget can help you. | 布丽姬特能帮你 |
[08:59] | Is Miss Scott anywhere about? | 斯科特小姐在吗 |
[09:00] | Oh, you’re here for Miss Scott? | 你来找斯科特小姐吗 |
[09:02] | She’s upstairs in her room. | 她在楼上的房间里 |
[09:03] | Ah, can you give her this? | 你能把这个给她吗 |
[09:06] | Tell her Mr. Raikes left it. | 告诉她是雷克斯先生留下的 |
[09:08] | I’m in a hurry now. But say I can discuss it later. | 我现在赶时间 但告诉她我可以稍后详述 |
[09:10] | – I’ll take it, sir. – Oh, thank you. | -给我吧 先生 -谢谢你 |
[09:14] | Makes sense. I’m going up there now. | 能解释他来这里 我现在上去了 |
[09:21] | Are you busy? | 你现在忙吗 |
[09:23] | – What’s happened? – Nothing. | -出什么事了 -没事 |
[09:25] | Except I think I know what I intend to say to Mr. Raikes. | 我想我知道要怎么回复雷克斯先生了 |
[09:29] | Which is? | 说什么 |
[09:30] | Only that I’m ready. | 惟有等我准备好时 |
[09:32] | I wasn’t sure before about eloping, | 我之前不确定是否要私奔 |
[09:34] | but Tom thinks that Aunt Agnes will never come round until | 但汤姆认为艾格妮丝姑姑只有在婚礼后 |
[09:38] | after the wedding. | 才会同意 |
[09:39] | I’m happy if it’s what you want. | 我很高兴 如果这就是你想要的 |
[09:42] | I’m surrounded by doubters. | 我周围全是怀疑者 |
[09:45] | Aunt Agnes, Aurora Fane. | 艾格妮丝姑姑 奥萝拉·费恩 |
[09:47] | The only way to silence them is just to get married | 唯一让她们闭嘴的方法就是结婚 |
[09:49] | and have done with it. | 了结这件事 |
[09:50] | You can’t leave everything up in the air indefinitely. | 你不能把所有事都无限期拖着 |
[09:53] | At least that’s a decision. | 至少这是个决定 |
[09:58] | Left by a Mr. Raikes. | 雷克斯先生送来的信 |
[10:02] | Do you think it’s a sign? | 你觉得这是种讯号吗 |
[10:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[10:13] | Gentlemen! | 先生们 |
[10:14] | Do not swing the women around like sacks of hay. | 别像甩装干草的袋子一样转女士 |
[10:24] | How long will you be in Newport? | 你会在纽波特待多久 |
[10:25] | Ten days. | 十天 |
[10:27] | I’ll see you then. | 那到时见 |
[10:29] | I get there next Friday | 我会下周五到 |
[10:30] | and stay till the end of the season. | 然后会待到社交季结束 |
[10:31] | And there’ll be plenty of time to practice this | 等我们俩回来后 |
[10:33] | when we’re both back. | 会有很多时间练习舞蹈 |
[10:35] | Remember, everyone. | 大家记住 |
[10:36] | The quadrille is not a romping dance. | 方阵舞不是任人嬉闹的舞蹈 |
[10:39] | Again, please. | 请再来一遍 |
[10:39] | You’ll have to finish now, I’m afraid, Mr. Vaughn. | 恐怕你们现在得下课了 沃恩先生 |
[10:41] | We’re leaving first thing in the morning, | 我们明天一早就要出发 |
[10:42] | and Gladys has still all her packing to do. | 格拉迪斯还要收拾行李 |
[10:44] | Only because you’ve commandeered my maid. | 都是因为你抢了我的女仆 |
[10:46] | She’s in your room now. | 她现在在你房间 |
[10:47] | When you get back, we’ll organize fittings | 等你们回来 我们会安排 |
[10:49] | for your dresses for the quadrille. | 你们跳方阵舞舞衣的试装 |
[10:50] | – I’ve chosen the design. – Has my mother agreed? | -我已经选好样式了 -我母亲同意了吗 |
[10:52] | The costumes would be a present to you all. | 舞衣会是送给你们所有人的礼物 |
[10:55] | Yes, you could. | 你们可以收下 |
[10:57] | Carrie gave us the idea for the quadrille in the first place. | 凯莉最先提议跳方阵舞 |
[10:59] | And the rest of you are so good to join in. | 也很感谢你们其他人的加入 |
[11:01] | – Please. – Well, if you’re sure. | -请收下吧 -如果你坚持的话 |
[11:03] | I am. And now I’ll come and see you out. | 我坚持 现在让我来送你们出去 |
[11:05] | – Good day, Mrs. Russell. – Thank you, Mrs. Russell. | -再见 罗素夫人 -谢谢 罗素夫人 |
[11:08] | It’s a shame we’ll all be gone at once. | 真可惜我们要同时出门 |
[11:10] | I wish Larry could have stayed. | 我真希望拉里能留下 |
[11:11] | I’m concerned about father. | 我很担心父亲 |
[11:12] | Will he manage while we’re away? | 我们出门的时候 他一个人能行吗 |
[11:14] | He’ll do more than manage. | 肯定可以 |
[11:16] | Only, he looked worried earlier. | 但他看起来忧心忡忡 |
[11:17] | He wasn’t worried. | 他没有 |
[11:18] | He was just thinking about things. | 他只是在想事情 |
[11:20] | Well, he seemed to have a great many things to think about. | 看来他有很多需要考虑的事 |
[11:25] | You’re back early, John. | 你回来得挺早 约翰 |
[11:26] | You could have stayed out a bit later. | 你晚点回来没关系的 |
[11:27] | Did you have a nice time? | 玩得开心吗 |
[11:29] | Wouldn’t you like to know? | 你想知道吗 |
[11:31] | Where’d you go? | 你去哪了 |
[11:32] | – Somewhere I enjoy. – You’re very mysterious. | -我喜欢的地方 -你真神秘 |
[11:35] | Have some tea anyway. | 喝点茶吧 |
[11:36] | Oh, anything but tea, Mrs. Bauer. | 除了茶 什么都可以 鲍尔太太 |
[11:39] | I’ll be in my room, but knock if you want me, Mr. Bannister. | 我回房了 有什么事就敲门 鲍尔太太 |
[11:44] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[11:45] | He’s hiding something. | 他有事瞒着我们 |
[11:47] | If he is, he’s not the only one. | 如果真是 他也不是唯一的一个 |
[11:50] | Is he, Miss Scott? | 对吗 斯科特小姐 |
[11:54] | Oh, thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:01] | Will Mrs. Russell need any special arrangements at the hearing? | 罗素夫人在听证会上需要什么特别安排吗 |
[12:04] | She’s not coming. | 她不会出席 |
[12:06] | Tomorrow, she leaves for Newport. | 明天她要出发去纽波特 |
[12:08] | It’s probably better. | 这样或许更好 |
[12:09] | Makes it less of a story. | 没那么复杂 |
[12:12] | If this case goes forward to trial, | 要是这个案子进入庭审的话 |
[12:14] | then all her plans will crumble to dust. | 她所有的计划都将破灭 |
[12:17] | No one will come to the ball. | 没人会来参加舞会 |
[12:19] | We’ll be outcasts. | 我们会受到排挤 |
[12:21] | It doesn’t worry me, but it would worry her. | 我不在意这些 但她很在意 |
[12:24] | I doubt Mrs. Russell would be sunk for long. | 我不认为罗素夫人会消沉太久 |
[12:27] | She’d be flattered you have such faith in her. | 她要是知道你这么相信她 会很高兴的 |
[12:30] | Is there anything new about Dixon? | 迪克逊那边有什么新的发现吗 |
[12:33] | They haven’t found anything useful yet. | 他们目前还没有找到任何有用的线索 |
[12:43] | I’ll be out of here in a moment. | 我一会就出去 |
[12:45] | That’s all right. What was in the letter? | 没关系 信上写了什么 |
[12:47] | – Good news, I hope. – Not really, I’m afraid. | -但愿是好消息 -恐怕不是 |
[12:50] | – But that’s not the worst part. – What is? | -但这还不是最糟糕的 -那是什么 |
[12:53] | I think Miss Armstrong read the letter | 我觉得阿姆斯特朗小姐 |
[12:55] | – before she gave it to me. – What makes you say that? | -在把信给我之前看过了 -你为什么这么说 |
[12:57] | There was a little tear in it, | 信上有拆开的痕迹 |
[12:59] | and something she said to me downstairs. | 还有她在楼下和我说的话 |
[13:02] | – Would that be bad? – It would not be good. | -会很糟吗 -反正不怎么好 |
[13:04] | What would not be good? | 什么不怎么好 |
[13:09] | Miss Scott thinks that Armstrong has read one of her letters. | 斯科特小姐觉得阿姆斯特朗看了她的一封信 |
[13:11] | She’s sly enough, that’s for sure. | 毫无疑问 她很狡猾 |
[13:15] | I’ll say good evening. | 我先告辞了 |
[13:20] | That was fighting talk, Aunt Ada. | 你刚刚有些夹枪带炮的 艾达姑姑 |
[13:23] | I don’t like Armstrong. | 我不喜欢阿姆斯特朗 |
[13:25] | And I never have. | 从没喜欢过 |
[13:33] | Mr. Johnson is bringing the carriage around in ten minutes. | 约翰逊先生十分钟后会把马车开来 |
[13:36] | They’re both ready to leave. | 夫人和小姐都准备好启程了 |
[13:37] | – Very well. – Oh, good day, Mr. Bannister. | -很好 -你好啊 班尼斯特先生 |
[13:39] | Mrs. Bruce. Is someone on their travels? | 布鲁斯太太 有人要出游吗 |
[13:41] | The mistress and Miss Gladys are on their way to Newport. | 夫人和格拉迪斯小姐要去纽波特 |
[13:45] | I hear you’re making some changes in your household. | 我听闻贵府的人员配置有些变动 |
[13:48] | Hasn’t your Miss Turner left? | 特纳小姐不是离开了吗 |
[13:51] | Did you know Miss Turner? | 你认识特纳小姐吗 |
[13:52] | Not well. But she wrote to me before she went. | 不太熟 但她在离开前给我写了信 |
[13:55] | I gather she was no great friend to you, Mr. Church. | 我猜她和你关系不太好吧 丘奇先生 |
[13:58] | Why? What did she say? | 为什么这么说 她写了些什么 |
[14:01] | Nothing to be worried about. | 没什么好担心的 |
[14:03] | Oh, well, not today. | 至少不是今天担心的事 |
[14:07] | Oh, look. | 瞧瞧 |
[14:08] | Isn’t that your chef? Monsieur… | 那位不是你们的主厨吗 叫什么来着 |
[14:10] | Monsieur Baudin. Yes, it is. | 是的 博丹先生 |
[14:13] | Good day, Mr. Bannister. | 再见 班尼斯特先生 |
[14:16] | Good day, Mr. Bannister. | 再见 班尼斯特先生 |
[14:51] | Mrs. McNeil would like to know | 麦克尼尔夫人想知道 |
[14:52] | if there’s something you wish to ask of her? | 你是否有事想问她 |
[14:55] | Why do you say that? | 你为什么这么说 |
[14:56] | She’s seen you here before. | 她之前在这里见过你 |
[15:11] | Is there something I can help you with? | 有什么我能帮你的吗 |
[15:14] | I’ve noticed you watching me. | 我注意到了你在看我 |
[15:17] | You don’t know me? | 你不认识我吗 |
[15:19] | Should I? | 我该认识吗 |
[15:21] | Mister… | 您是… |
[15:23] | Collyer. | 科利尔 |
[15:31] | Flora. | 芙洛拉 |
[15:33] | Welcome back, Mrs. McNeil. | 欢迎回来 麦克尼尔夫人 |
[15:40] | This is a surprise. | 真意外 |
[15:42] | – A pleasant one, I hope. – Very pleasant. | -希望这是是惊喜不是惊吓 -自然是惊喜 |
[15:45] | What brings you here? | 什么风把你吹来了 |
[15:46] | I just thought I’d look in. | 我只是想着来看看 |
[15:49] | I want to be alone with you. | 我想和你独处 |
[15:54] | Have you thought about what I said? | 你考虑过我说的那些话吗 |
[15:57] | At Mrs. Chamberlain’s? | 在张伯伦夫人家说的那些 |
[15:59] | You’re right about one thing. | 有件事你说对了 |
[16:02] | Aunt Agnes is never going to change. | 艾格妮丝姑姑永远不会改变想法 |
[16:04] | I hate to make her unhappy, truly. | 我真的不想让她感到不快 |
[16:07] | But she won’t change. | 但她不愿意改变 |
[16:09] | Not until after the wedding, at any rate. | 至少得等到结婚后 |
[16:12] | She’ll come round when we’re married. | 等我们结婚了她就能接受了 |
[16:14] | But not before. | 但婚前不行 |
[16:17] | So this is the moment. | 所以是时候了 |
[16:20] | It’s time to take matters into our own hands. | 我们是时候得主动出击了 |
[16:23] | And elope? | 私奔吗 |
[16:24] | People have before now. | 以前有得是人这样做 |
[16:27] | But if we elope, won’t I ruin your reputation? | 但如果我们私奔 我不就毁了你的名声 |
[16:30] | Won’t I be an anchor around your neck? | 我不就成了你的负担了 |
[16:33] | A very nice anchor around a very willing neck. | 那是我心甘情愿承担的甜蜜负担 |
[16:38] | Please, Marian. | 拜托 玛丽安 |
[16:41] | I know this is right. | 我知道我们是命中注定 |
[16:42] | Just as I know we’ll regret delaying | 正如我知道我们一定会为 |
[16:44] | when we could have made it happen. | 不立刻把握住机会而后悔 |
[17:09] | You’ve been very busy today, monsieur. | 你今天挺忙的 先生 |
[17:12] | I want to take advantage of the mistress’ absence | 我想趁着女主人不在的时候 |
[17:14] | to do some early work on the ball, | 为舞会做点目前力所能及的 |
[17:16] | as much as I’m able. | 前期准备工作 |
[17:18] | Very wise, with only the master left | 很明智 现在只有老爷在家 |
[17:19] | – in the house to feed. – He’s no trouble. | -需要用餐 -他要求不多 |
[17:22] | He’d eat anything that’s put in front of him. | 上什么菜他都吃 |
[17:25] | But everything’s all right otherwise? | 但其他一切都还顺利吗 |
[17:27] | Why do you ask? | 何出此言 |
[17:29] | Only that I saw you this morning in the streets. | 我今早在街上看到你 |
[17:31] | You seemed to be having an argument of some sort. | 你像是在和谁吵架 |
[17:37] | I was. | 确实 |
[17:39] | Aren’t you going to tell us what it was about, monsieur? | 你打算告诉我们吗 先生 |
[17:45] | No. | 不了 |
[17:51] | I’m going to bed. | 我要睡觉了 |
[18:00] | This is so charming. | 这景色太棒了 |
[18:01] | How long have you been coming here? | 你来这多久了 |
[18:03] | We have been hiding in Bayside Farm | 我们在贝赛农场隐居了 |
[18:05] | for 20 years at least. | 快二十年了 |
[18:08] | But now New York is coming out to find us. | 但纽约现在主动找上门来了 |
[18:11] | Oh, I suppose they’re snapping up all the best lots. | 我想他们已经将好地段都抢光了 |
[18:13] | There are still some on Bellevue Avenue, | 我想贝尔坞大道上还有不少 |
[18:16] | which I would recommend. | 我十分推荐那里 |
[18:17] | I gather Mrs. Astor has finished Beechwood. | 听说阿斯特夫人已经将比奇伍德的房子装修好了 |
[18:20] | That was a good buy. | 那笔买卖可真划算 |
[18:21] | She didn’t have to tear it down. | 她都不需要拆它 |
[18:23] | Just add a wing and tidy it a little. | 只是给它加建一个副楼再收拾一下 |
[18:26] | I should love to see the house. | 我可想亲眼去看看那个房子 |
[18:27] | I’m afraid she isn’t in town. | 但她目前不在家 |
[18:29] | What do you do all day? What’s the life here? | 你平时在这都做些什么 这里的生活是什么样 |
[18:31] | It’s much like New York, | 这里和纽约无大差别 |
[18:33] | but with sun and sea for a background. | 只是面朝大海 阳光灿烂 |
[18:35] | The young go to the casino and play tennis. | 孩子们去赌场玩还打网球 |
[18:38] | Can we follow them there? | 我们能加入他们吗 |
[18:39] | You’d like that, wouldn’t you, Gladys? | 你很想去不是吗 格拉迪斯 |
[18:40] | We might see Larry. | 我们也许能见到拉里 |
[18:42] | Of course, your son is staying with Mrs. Fish. | 没错 你的儿子住在菲什夫人家 |
[18:45] | – Do you know her well? – I don’t know her at all. | -你和她熟吗 -完全不 |
[18:47] | But Larry’s stayed there a few times. | 但拉里在她那住过几回 |
[18:49] | That may be helpful. | 这兴许能帮上忙 |
[18:51] | We’ll go to the casino tomorrow. | 我们明天会去赌场 |
[18:53] | I’ll ask Mrs. Fish when she’s taking her party. | 我会问问菲什夫人她什么时候办派对 |
[18:56] | Mrs. Fish will only change the plan ten times | 菲什夫人只会不断想一出是一出 |
[18:58] | and wreck the afternoon. | 然后浪费一整个下午 |
[19:00] | Then, my dear, we must persevere. | 那亲爱的 我们得坚持不懈才行 |
[19:09] | I’ll be quick. | 我马上就好 |
[19:10] | Take your time, dear. | 慢慢逛 亲爱的 |
[19:24] | – What do you have in fawn? – Oh, no. | -有什么淡黄褐色的款吗 -不 |
[19:26] | Pardon me, miss? | 不好意思 小姐 |
[19:28] | Excuse me? I can return it to her if it’s helpful. | 不好意思 如果方便的话我可以替你还给她 |
[19:31] | Do you know Mrs. Dixon? | 你认识迪克逊太太吗 |
[19:32] | Well, no, but I know where her employer lives. | 并不 但我知道她的雇主的住所 |
[19:34] | That’s very kind of you, miss. | 真是帮大忙了 小姐 |
[19:36] | Not at all. | 客气了 |
[19:37] | Now, I’ll have two pairs of those, please. | 这个款请给我拿两对 |
[19:40] | Size seven. I’ll take them with me now. | 7号 我现在就拿走 |
[19:43] | I have to look into the Russell’s house when we get back. | 我们回去时我得去一下罗素家 |
[19:45] | – Don’t wait for me. – I won’t. | -不用等我了 -我不会的 |
[19:48] | And I won’t tell Agnes either. | 我也不会告诉艾格妮丝 |
[19:53] | If you could give it to Mrs. Dixon? | 你能帮忙转交给迪克逊太太吗 |
[19:54] | Mrs. Dixon? | 迪克逊太太 |
[19:55] | Hello, Miss Brook. Can I help? | 布鲁克小姐 有什么能帮到你吗 |
[19:58] | I just wanted to drop this off for Mrs. Dixon. | 我只是想把这个送回给迪克逊太太 |
[20:00] | Or is it Miss? | 还是说她是迪克逊小姐 |
[20:01] | She left it on the counter in Bloomingdale’s, | 她把它漏在布鲁明戴尔百货柜台上了 |
[20:03] | and I was behind her in line. | 我正好排在她的后面 |
[20:04] | The assistant tried to find her, | 售货员想要叫住她 |
[20:05] | but she was too late. | 但叫迟一步 |
[20:07] | – Mrs. Dixon? – Your stenographer. | -迪克逊太太 -你的速记员 |
[20:09] | I met her when she brought some papers for you | 她给你带文件的时候我碰见过 |
[20:11] | and gave them to Larry. | 她把文件给了拉里 |
[20:12] | She said you had to see them at once. | 然后她说你得马上拿到 |
[20:14] | I know. It was just as Larry was leaving for Newport. | 我知道 正好是拉里准备去纽波特那会 |
[20:17] | You must mean Miss Ainsley. | 你指的应该是安斯利小姐 |
[20:18] | She’d bought some gloves, and I suppose, | 她买了些手套 我想 |
[20:20] | had charged them to the name Dixon. | 她是把账记到了迪克逊名下 |
[20:22] | I’m sorry to bother you with it. | 很抱歉打扰您了 |
[20:25] | You haven’t bothered me at all. | 完全没有的事 |
[20:27] | Quite the reverse. | 恰恰相反 |
[20:29] | Goodbye and thank you, Miss Brook. | 再见 谢谢你 布鲁克小姐 |
[20:33] | Thank you, Church. | 谢谢你 丘奇 |
[20:41] | Is it Jack’s afternoon off again? | 杰克今天下午又请假吗 |
[20:43] | He has one a week. Same as us. | 他每个礼拜休一次 和我们一样 |
[20:45] | I think he’s bought flowers just like the last time. | 他一定像上次一样买了花 |
[20:47] | He hid them when he went up to serve. | 他上楼工作时把它们藏起来了 |
[20:49] | You’re not being fair. | 你这只是猜测罢了 |
[20:52] | – Let me follow him. – What? | -我要去跟踪他 -什么 |
[20:54] | You can tell Mr. Bannister | 你可以告诉班尼斯特先生 |
[20:55] | that I’m running some errands for you. | 我去帮你跑腿了 |
[20:57] | You’re only interested in Jack | 你只会在杰克另寻新欢时 |
[20:58] | because he’s found someone else. | 才对他感兴趣 |
[21:00] | Come on. You know you’re curious. | 得了 你不也好奇吗 |
[21:02] | You’re not to spoil his fun. | 你可不能败了他的兴致 |
[21:04] | He’s entitled to visit another young lady. | 他有权利追求别的女人 |
[21:06] | What would you say if he sees you? | 如果他见到你 你要说什么 |
[21:08] | I’ll think of something. | 我会想个借口 |
[21:11] | Go on, then. Fetch your coat. | 那就去吧 拿上外套 |
[21:16] | This is the last of it, so I’ll be off if you don’t mind. | 如果你不介意 我干完活就先走了 |
[21:18] | – What does Mr. Bannister say? – I’ve said he’s to go. | -班尼斯特先生怎么说 -他可以休息了 |
[21:21] | I’ll just get changed. | 我去换衣服了 |
[21:24] | – Is she talking to you yet? – It depends. | -她跟你说话了吗 -不好说 |
[21:27] | Sometimes she speaks to Miss Ada, | 有时候她会跟艾达小姐说 |
[21:28] | and Miss Ada speaks to me. | 然后艾达小姐会跟我说 |
[21:30] | This too will pass. | 这种事会过去的 |
[21:57] | – Shall I go? – No. | -我要走开吗 -不用 |
[21:59] | You know that I bring my dollar every week to Miss Ada. | 你知道我每周都会还钱给艾达小姐 |
[22:02] | Thank you, Mrs. Bauer. | 谢谢 鲍尔太太 |
[22:04] | I hope it’s not too great an inconvenience. | 希望你不要介意这点小麻烦 |
[22:11] | Is there something else? | 还有什么事吗 |
[22:12] | I may be wrong, ma’am. | 我可能误会了 夫人 |
[22:14] | But I think Miss Armstrong is planning | 但我觉得阿姆斯特朗小姐 |
[22:16] | to do a disservice to Miss Scott. | 想要对斯科特小姐不利 |
[22:19] | You do not surprise me. | 我察觉到了 |
[22:20] | I don’t know what she’s got planned. | 我不知道她在计划什么 |
[22:22] | But it makes her smile to think about it. | 但她总是暗自偷笑 |
[22:25] | I thought I should let you know. | 我觉得您应该知道这件事 |
[22:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[22:30] | Can you think what that might be? | 你有什么头绪吗 |
[22:32] | I have a suspicion, yes. | 我有个怀疑 |
[22:34] | Then warn Miss Scott if you can. | 那就请你警告斯科特小姐 |
[22:42] | She’s been hinting since she read the letter | 自从读过信后 她一直在暗示我 |
[22:44] | that she knows enough of my story now | 她所掌握的信息已经 |
[22:46] | to make things difficult for me. | 足以让我陷入麻烦了 |
[22:48] | It means she’s planning to tell Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 这意味着她打算告诉范莱茵夫人 |
[22:50] | Mrs. Bauer said much the same thing to Aunt Ada. | 鲍尔太太跟艾达姑姑说了类似的事 |
[22:55] | But what about your story is so terrible? | 但那是什么事 有这么糟糕吗 |
[23:01] | All right. | 好吧 |
[23:04] | You’ve waited long enough. | 你等得也够久了 |
[23:12] | I told you a man called Elias Finn | 我跟你说过一个叫伊莱亚斯·芬恩的男人 |
[23:14] | changed my life. | 改变了我的生活 |
[23:16] | Yes. | 对 |
[23:18] | I didn’t tell you that I was his wife. | 但我没说我曾经是他妻子 |
[23:21] | And the mother of our child. | 以及我们孩子的母亲 |
[23:23] | What? You have a child? | 什么 你有孩子了吗 |
[23:25] | I had a child. | 曾经有过 |
[23:28] | A son. | 儿子 |
[23:31] | In fact, I nearly died in childbirth. | 其实我差点死于分娩 |
[23:34] | But when I finally came round… | 但当我终于回过神来时… |
[23:38] | He was already dead. | 他已经死了 |
[23:42] | After that, my father took me back to New York. | 在那之后 我父亲就带我回到了纽约 |
[23:44] | So this didn’t happen here? | 这些都不是在这里发生的吗 |
[23:46] | No. | 不是 |
[23:48] | I met Elias in Brooklyn. | 我在布鲁克林认识了伊莱亚斯 |
[23:50] | But my father didn’t approve. | 但我父亲不同意 |
[23:52] | For him, Elias had no prospects and was uneducated. | 他认为伊莱亚斯没有前途 也没接受过教育 |
[23:57] | So when I saw it was hopeless, we left for Philadelphia. | 我觉得得不到他的认可 就跑去了费城 |
[24:00] | By the time my father found us, I was married and pregnant. | 我父亲找到我们时 我已经结婚并且怀孕了 |
[24:04] | Are you still married? | 那你现在还是已婚吗 |
[24:05] | No. | 不 |
[24:07] | My father bullied Elias into signing a paper | 我父亲逼迫伊莱亚斯签署了一份文件 |
[24:10] | saying he’d been married before. | 声称他以前结过婚 |
[24:12] | Then he got a judge to declare our marriage void. | 然后他找了一位法官来宣布我们的婚姻无效 |
[24:15] | Why would he do that? | 他为什么要这么做 |
[24:16] | Did he really prefer you to be an unwed mother? | 他真的更想让你成为一个未婚妈妈吗 |
[24:18] | Maybe he wasn’t thinking straight. | 或许他想得也不周到 |
[24:21] | Either way, he brought me home, | 无论如何 他把我带回了家 |
[24:23] | and I was told to forget it ever happened– | 还让我忘掉发生过的一切 |
[24:26] | to forget my own child. | 忘掉我的孩子 |
[24:33] | How could you? | 怎么能这样 |
[24:35] | I tried. | 我努力过 |
[24:36] | For a year or more. | 一年多 我忘不掉 |
[24:38] | But in the end, that’s why I went back– | 最后 我也因此回到了费城 |
[24:40] | to find the midwife. | 去找当时的助产士 |
[24:42] | I needed to know more about my boy. | 我想要更了解我的孩子 |
[24:47] | I was told she moved to Doylestown, | 我打听到她搬到了多伊尔斯敦 |
[24:49] | but I couldn’t find her there. | 但我在那里却找不到她 |
[24:51] | So I went to the railway station. | 所以我去了火车站 |
[24:56] | And I met a young lady who lost her ticket. | 然后遇到了一位遗失了车票的小姐 |
[24:59] | And now I’ve shocked that same young lady out of her senses. | 现在我肯定把那位小姐吓坏了吧 |
[25:02] | I’m not shocked. | 我没有吓坏 |
[25:05] | I’m sad. | 我替你伤心 |
[25:08] | Much more than sad. | 悲痛欲绝 |
[25:11] | And I understand why you needed Mr. Raikes. | 我也知道了你为什么想找雷克斯先生 |
[25:14] | But he can’t have written all that in his letter. | 但他总不能事无巨细地全部写进信里吧 |
[25:16] | He wrote enough. | 他已经写得够多了 |
[25:18] | It was to tell me | 他在信中说 |
[25:18] | that he couldn’t trace the midwife either. | 他也找不到那位助产士 |
[25:22] | Miss Armstrong may be many things, | 阿姆斯特朗小姐有很多特质 |
[25:23] | but she’s not stupid. | 但她绝对不傻 |
[25:27] | I wish you’d said this sooner. | 我真希望你能早点跟我说这些 |
[25:33] | There’s only one thing to be done. | 我们只有一件事要做 |
[25:37] | You’re going to tell Aunt Agnes. | 你要把这件事告诉艾格妮丝姑姑 |
[25:39] | – What? When? – Tonight. | -什么 什么时候 -就今晚 |
[25:42] | We don’t know if Armstrong has said anything yet. | 我们不知道阿姆斯特朗小姐有没有说什么 |
[25:45] | But either way | 但无论如何 |
[25:46] | she has to hear it from you. | 艾格妮丝姑姑要听你亲口说出来 |
[25:50] | So I suppose this is goodbye. | 这是最后的告别了吧 |
[25:55] | We’ll see. | 不会的 |
[26:05] | Ready. | 准备好 |
[26:06] | – I’m sorry. – Great game, Gladys. | -抱歉 -打得不错 格拉迪斯 |
[26:12] | Why aren’t the rest of you playing? | 你们怎么不一起去玩 |
[26:15] | I expect they’re enjoying the sun. | 我猜他们在享受阳光吧 |
[26:17] | Nobody talks about anything else but enjoying themselves. | 大家都不谈其他的事 只顾着享受时光 |
[26:20] | Isn’t that what we’re here for? | 我们来这不就是为了享受吗 |
[26:21] | Not me. | 我可不是 |
[26:23] | Dear Mrs. Fish, you’re so contrary. | 亲爱的菲什夫人 你真与众不同 |
[26:26] | How’s your husband doing, Mrs. Russell? | 你丈夫最近如何 罗素夫人 |
[26:29] | I’m sorry? | 怎么了 |
[26:30] | Aren’t they putting him on trial | 难道你丈夫没有因为火车事故 |
[26:31] | over that train crash? | 接受审判吗 |
[26:33] | I thought that was why he stayed in New York. | 我以为他是因此才待在纽约的 |
[26:35] | If it were, I would have stayed with him. | 如果他要接受审判 我会跟他在一起 |
[26:37] | – So he’s not in trouble? – Not in the least. | -所以他没惹上什么麻烦 -一点也没有 |
[26:39] | But he has too many meetings to be able to join us. | 但他有太多会议 无法加入我们 |
[26:41] | – He likes to be thorough. – Oh, I see. | -他喜欢亲力亲为 -我知道了 |
[26:47] | Mr. Reynolds, go and fetch me a drink… | 雷诺兹先生 去给我拿杯酒来… |
[26:49] | Haven’t bungled it, have I? | 我没有搞砸吧 |
[26:51] | Oh, no. She’ll like you the more. | 没有 她会更喜欢你的 |
[27:01] | Game to Mr. Van Rhijn and Miss Russell. | 范莱茵先生和罗素小姐胜 |
[27:05] | I see you’re well-practiced. | 我看你很有经验 |
[27:07] | – Good game, Russell. – Hardly. | -打得漂亮 罗素 -没有 |
[27:13] | – Excuse me. – Oh, yes. | -不好意思 -好的 |
[27:15] | – Thank you. – Thank you. | -谢谢 -谢谢 |
[27:17] | Of course it is. I’m paying for it. | 当然是 我花钱了 |
[27:19] | Your daughter is wonderful at the game, Mrs. Russell. | 你女儿很擅长这个项目 罗素夫人 |
[27:22] | Well, a wonderful audience. You hit all the balls. | 是个精彩的观众罢了 球都是你击中的 |
[27:24] | Mr. Van Rhijn is very quick on his feet. | 范莱茵先生速度很快 |
[27:27] | What can I say? I like to win. | 怎么说呢 我喜欢赢 |
[27:29] | Oscar. | 奥斯卡 |
[27:30] | Oh, Mr. Adams. Who’s this? | 亚当斯先生 这位是谁 |
[27:33] | Hello, Mrs. Fish. Mrs. Fane. | 你们好 菲什夫人 费恩夫人 |
[27:36] | Mr. McAllister. And… | 麦卡利斯特先生 和… |
[27:38] | May I present Mr. John Adams? | 容我向你们介绍约翰·亚当斯先生 |
[27:40] | This is Mrs. George Russell. | 这位是乔治·罗素夫人 |
[27:42] | And my son Larry Russell, my daughter Gladys Russell. | 我儿子拉里·罗素 我女儿格拉迪斯·罗素 |
[27:45] | I feel I know you both through Oscar. | 我感觉自己已经从奥斯卡口中认识你们了 |
[27:47] | He speaks so highly of you. | 他对你们称赞有加 |
[27:48] | What are you doing here? | 你怎么来了 |
[27:50] | I’m staying with the Wetmores at Chateau-sur-Mer. | 我与韦特莫尔一家住在滨海别墅 |
[27:52] | I called at Mrs. Fish’s house, | 我拜访了菲什夫人宅邸 |
[27:53] | and they told me you were all here at the casino. | 他们告诉我你们来了赌场 |
[27:56] | Do you know Newport well, Miss Russell? | 你了解纽波特吗 罗素小姐 |
[27:58] | No, not at all. It’s our first visit. | 完全不了解 我第一次来 |
[28:00] | What are you doing for dinner? | 你晚餐打算做什么 |
[28:02] | To whom was that directed? | 这是问谁呢 |
[28:03] | To you and your new people. | 问你还有你的新人们 |
[28:05] | – Not you, Aurora. – I’m not invited? | -不是问你 奥萝拉 -不邀请我吗 |
[28:07] | You’re not a new person. | 你不是新人 |
[28:09] | You come and bring Mr. Adams with you. | 你可以带亚当斯先生一起 |
[28:10] | He’s not one of my party. | 他不是我的客人 |
[28:12] | I like the cut of his jib. | 我喜欢他的长相 |
[28:14] | Mr. Adams, what about dinner tonight? | 亚当斯先生 今晚一起用晚餐如何 |
[28:15] | I don’t suppose Mrs. Wetmore would mind. | 我觉得韦特莫尔夫人不会介意我来 |
[28:18] | Then that’s settled. | 那就说定了 |
[28:19] | I hope the plan is agreeable to you, Mrs. Russell. | 我希望你同意这个安排 罗素夫人 |
[28:22] | Oh, it’s agreeable. Don’t you worry. | 她当然同意 别担心 |
[28:24] | Mrs. Fish is quite right, of course. | 菲什夫人说得对 |
[28:30] | All right, we’ll invite Mr. Adams… | 好的 我们邀请亚当斯先生… |
[28:35] | What the hell do you think you’re playing at? | 你这是在玩什么把戏 |
[28:37] | I think I’m playing at having a lovely time. | 我想自己是在享受美好时光 |
[28:41] | Dear Miss Russell, let me help you with that. | 亲爱的罗素小姐 让我来帮你 |
[28:59] | Mr. Russell. Good day, sir. | 罗素先生 日安 |
[29:00] | Right this way. | 这边 |
[29:02] | I will make no judgement on what conclusions | 不管我可能做出什么结论 |
[29:04] | I may have reached, as they are irrelevant. | 我都不会做出评价 因为无关紧要 |
[29:07] | I must only consider | 我只需考虑 |
[29:08] | whether or not there is sufficient evidence | 是否有足够的证据 |
[29:10] | for the matter to go forward to a trial. | 让这个案子进行庭审 |
[29:16] | – Is something the matter? – I beg your pardon, Your Honor. | -有问题吗 -请原谅 法官阁下 |
[29:19] | We have been waiting for an important detail. | 我们在等待一项重要的资料 |
[29:22] | – It is here now. – I object, Your Honor. | -现在到了 -反对 法官阁下 |
[29:24] | If there is any further evidence, | 如果有进一步证据 |
[29:26] | it should be presented at trial. | 应该在审判时呈现 |
[29:28] | – Objection overruled. – We expected it some time ago. | -反对无效 -我们之前就在等了 |
[29:30] | But there has been a delay. | 但是有所延迟 |
[29:32] | Is it a detail that might affect the outcome? | 这项资料是否有可能影响判决结果 |
[29:35] | It may be so, Your Honor. | 可能是的 法官阁下 |
[29:37] | What is it that you’ve brought to show me? | 你带来的是什么东西 |
[29:39] | It is rather a matter | 不如说 |
[29:40] | of whom we have brought here, Your Honor. | 我带来的是谁 法官阁下 |
[29:42] | – What happened? – I didn’t think | -怎么回事 -我不知道 |
[29:44] | you’d need me this afternoon, sir. | 您今天下午需要我来 先生 |
[29:46] | And I had other business. But I’ve got the papers with me. | 我之前有其他事要做 但我把文件带来了 |
[29:49] | I hope I’m not too late. | 希望我没有太迟 |
[29:50] | No, you’re not too late. | 不 你没有太迟 |
[29:51] | I would like to introduce Miss Ainsley, | 我想传唤安斯利小姐 |
[29:53] | Mr. Russell’s stenographer. | 罗素先生的速记员 |
[29:56] | – Mr. Russell, I don’t– – Miss Ainsley. | -罗素先生 我不… -安斯利小姐 |
[29:59] | Please. | 请坐 |
[30:01] | – But I– – Get on with it, Mr. Brand. | -但我… -继续吧 布兰德先生 |
[30:04] | Look around this room, Miss Ainsley. | 看看这间房 安斯利小姐 |
[30:07] | You know Mr. Russell, of course. | 你认识罗素先生 |
[30:08] | Mr. Clay, Mr. Lewis, and myself. | 认识克雷先生 路易斯先生和我 |
[30:11] | Is there anyone else you are familiar with? | 你还认识这里的其他人吗 |
[30:15] | No. | 没了 |
[30:17] | Mr. Dixon. | 迪克逊先生 |
[30:19] | Will you please stand? | 能麻烦你站起来吗 |
[30:22] | Do you know this man? | 你认识这个人吗 |
[30:24] | – No. – You’re quite sure of that? | -不认识 -你肯定吗 |
[30:27] | Quite sure. | 肯定 |
[30:28] | Then why were you seen together | 那为什么有人看见 |
[30:29] | in the department store, Bloomingdale’s? | 你们两人一起去布鲁明戴尔百货商店 |
[30:32] | – That’s not true. – I think it is true. | -这不可能 -是真的 |
[30:33] | – No, it’s not. – I have it on good authority. | -不 不是的 -我有可靠的证据 |
[30:36] | No, I used his charge account, but we weren’t there toge– | 不 我用了他的赊账账户 但我们没有一起… |
[30:37] | Shut up! | 闭嘴 |
[30:46] | Move it! | 走开 |
[30:47] | Well, if you watch where you’re going! | 走路长眼睛 |
[30:56] | Go back inside. Let’s go. | 回去 赶紧 |
[31:05] | And when, precisely, did you give the note to Mr. Dixon? | 具体什么时间 你把纸条给了迪克逊先生 |
[31:09] | After the crash had happened. | 在事故发生后 |
[31:10] | He’d written it awhile before. | 他是在很久之前写的 |
[31:12] | But when I read it, I could see it might be useful in the future, | 但我看到时 觉得将来可能有用 |
[31:15] | so I kept it. | 就留下了 |
[31:16] | You knew what Dixon was doing? | 你知道迪克逊当时在做什么吗 |
[31:18] | I guess. | 我有所猜测 |
[31:19] | This was not the first time he had appropriated money | 他不是第一次挪用公款 |
[31:22] | – meant for another purpose? – I never knew the details. | -作为他用吗 -我不知道细节 |
[31:25] | Only the fact of his dishonesty. | 只知道他不诚信 |
[31:29] | Why was the note actually written? | 纸条到底是出于什么目的而写 |
[31:33] | Mrs. Russell had used the Herter Brothers | 罗素夫人曾经雇佣赫特兄弟 |
[31:35] | for some of the decoration at their new house on Fifth Avenue. | 让他们给在第五大道的新家装修 |
[31:38] | So Mr. Russell got an estimate from them | 所以罗素先生找他们要了 |
[31:40] | to renovate his office. | 给办公室翻新的估价 |
[31:41] | But in the end, he thought they were too expensive | 但最终他觉得他们太贵了 |
[31:44] | and he went elsewhere. | 他选择了别的地方 |
[31:45] | That’s one question answered. | 这个悬案总算破了 |
[31:47] | Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生 |
[31:51] | You are exonerated. | 你无罪了 |
[31:52] | You may go with your reputation intact. | 你的名誉将不会受损 |
[31:55] | Mr. Dixon and Miss Ainsley. | 迪克逊先生和安斯利小姐 |
[31:58] | I will be referring this matter to the prosecutor’s office. | 我会将这件事转给公诉人办公室 |
[32:01] | I would not be surprised if I see you back | 相信很快我就会在这个法庭 |
[32:02] | in this court room very soon. | 再次见到你们了 |
[32:05] | Court dismissed. | 休庭 |
[32:09] | Congratulations, Mr. Russell. | 祝贺您 罗素先生 |
[32:12] | Strikes me as the element of chance. | 我感觉完全是机缘巧合 |
[32:14] | A woman goes to buy gloves, and disaster is averted. | 一个女人去买手套 一场灾难得以避免 |
[32:17] | What if she’d chosen a different store? | 如果她去了另外一家商店呢 |
[32:18] | You don’t need us to tell you the importance of luck. | 我们太知道运气的重要性了 |
[32:21] | Mr. Russell. | 罗素先生 |
[32:23] | What do you want? | 你想怎么样 |
[32:24] | Only to say how sorry I am | 只是想为自己的行为 |
[32:26] | that I ever did such a thing, Mr. Russell. | 向您道歉 罗素先生 |
[32:28] | Did you think it was right before? | 你之前认为这样做是对的吗 |
[32:30] | And now you’re sorry because you’ve been caught? | 现在你感到抱歉 是因为你被抓住了吗 |
[32:32] | I believe you should go to jail, Miss Ainsley. | 我觉得你应该去坐牢 安斯利小姐 |
[32:34] | But whether a jury agrees with me or not, | 但不管陪审团的人是否认同我的想法 |
[32:37] | I will tell you what I’ve decided | 我告诉你我对你的打算吧 |
[32:39] | would be best for you, as a plan. | 我想好的对你最好的处置 |
[32:40] | Anything you want to ask of me. | 您要求我去做什么都行 |
[32:43] | Good. | 很好 |
[32:44] | I will keep abreast of your movements. | 我会留意你的动向 |
[32:46] | And whenever you apply for a job | 只要你去申请 |
[32:48] | above the rank of the most menial servant, | 比家庭佣人更高的工作 |
[32:50] | I will inform your superiors of your history | 我都会将你的过去告诉你的雇主 |
[32:53] | and make it impossible for them to employ you. | 使得你不可能被雇佣 |
[32:56] | You may scrub floors to earn your bread, | 你可以靠擦地板维系生计 |
[32:58] | but nothing more. | 但也仅限于此了 |
[33:00] | You don’t mean that. | 您不会认真的 |
[33:02] | I think you know that I do. | 我想你知道我是 |
[34:00] | What are you doing here? | 你来这干什么 |
[34:03] | Bridget, are you following me? | 布丽姬特 你是在跟踪我吗 |
[34:10] | Is this a joke? | 这是恶作剧吗 |
[34:12] | So you can make fun of me back at the house? | 这样你就可以在主人家取笑我吗 |
[34:13] | – No. – What is it then? | -不是 -那你搞什么呢 |
[34:15] | Mrs. Bauer and I– | 鲍尔太太和我… |
[34:17] | we wondered who you were taking flowers to. | 我们好奇你会带花给谁 |
[34:19] | Because I’d replaced you in my fickle heart | 因为我善变的心里已经用另外一个女孩子 |
[34:21] | with a new girl? | 替换了你吗 |
[34:22] | Something like that. | 差不多吧 |
[34:24] | Well, there she is. | 她就在这呢 |
[34:27] | That’s my girl. | 就是她 |
[34:33] | May Trotter? | 梅·特劳特 |
[34:34] | May Trotter. | 梅·特劳特 |
[34:36] | Mrs. John Trotter, to be exact. | 准确说应该是约翰·特劳特太太 |
[34:38] | Died October 8th, 1871, at the age of 30. | 死于1871年10月8日 享年30岁 |
[34:43] | My mother. | 我的母亲 |
[34:46] | She was young. | 她好年轻 |
[34:48] | What’d she die of? | 她是怎么死的 |
[34:50] | She was burned to death when I was nine. | 我9岁时她被烧死了 |
[34:52] | What? | 什么 |
[34:54] | Ever heard of the Peshtigo Fire of 1871? | 听说过1871年的佩什蒂戈大火吗 |
[34:58] | – No. – No. | -没有 -是啊 |
[35:00] | It’s forgotten, really. | 已经被人遗忘了 |
[35:02] | It’s the same day as the Great Chicago Fire, | 与芝加哥大火发生在同一天 |
[35:03] | and people only remember that. | 可大家只记得那个 |
[35:05] | I’ve never heard of Peshtigo. | 我从没听说过佩什蒂戈 |
[35:07] | It’s in Wisconsin. | 在威斯康辛州 |
[35:11] | My mother had a married sister who lived there, | 我母亲有个出嫁的妹妹住在那里 |
[35:13] | and she went to see the new baby | 她去看刚刚出生的孩子 |
[35:14] | when a forest fire swept into town. | 当时一场森林大火蔓延到了镇上 |
[35:17] | How terrible. | 太可怕了 |
[35:20] | Were a lot of people killed? | 很多人被烧死了吗 |
[35:21] | More than 2,000– | 超过2000人… |
[35:24] | my mother, my aunt, and the baby included. | 包括我母亲 我姨妈还有那个婴儿 |
[35:27] | – How did they find her? – They didn’t. | -她的遗体是怎么找到的 -没找到 |
[35:30] | Most of the dead couldn’t be identified. | 绝大多数遗体都无法辨认了 |
[35:33] | Then who’s in the grave? | 那坟墓里的是谁 |
[35:36] | No one. | 没有人 |
[35:39] | My father filled the coffin with her clothes | 我父亲把她的衣物装进了棺材里 |
[35:41] | and put some rocks in for weight. | 还放了些石头来增加重量 |
[35:44] | He wanted somewhere he could come to think about her. | 他想要有个地方能让他过来思念她 |
[35:46] | And he did, day in, day out. | 他也无时无刻不在想她 |
[35:50] | Spent more time here than at home. | 在这待的时间比在家还要多 |
[35:52] | – Where is he now? – Dead. | -他现在人呢 -死了 |
[35:54] | Five years after my mother. | 我母亲走后的5年 |
[35:55] | I was 14 for that one. | 那时我14岁 |
[35:57] | Oh, Jack. | 杰克 |
[36:01] | I’m so sorry. | 我太难过了 |
[36:05] | I visit every week in the month of her birthday. | 她生日的这个月我每周都会来 |
[36:09] | Used to laugh at my old pa for coming. | 以前还笑话我老爸会来 |
[36:11] | But now he’s gone, and here I am. | 可他不在了 我却来了 |
[36:15] | – It’s funny, huh? – Not so funny. | -很可笑吧 -不可笑 |
[36:19] | Do you have any brothers or sisters? | 你还有兄弟姐妹吗 |
[36:21] | Two brothers, but we lost touch. | 两个兄弟 可我们没联系了 |
[36:23] | You must miss your pa. | 你一定很想你爸爸吧 |
[36:25] | Not really. We weren’t close. | 算不上 我们不算很亲密 |
[36:28] | The last person to love me | 最后一个爱我的人 |
[36:29] | was the woman who is not in that grave. | 就是并不在那个坟墓里的女人 |
[36:32] | I’m sure that isn’t true. | 我相信不是那样的 |
[36:34] | No, you aren’t. | 不 你不那么确信 |
[36:39] | Now, we should make tracks for the ferry. | 我们得去赶轮渡了 |
[36:44] | I’ll give you a moment. | 我让你一个人待会儿吧 |
[37:01] | But how will I ever gavotte | 可如果我总是想着我的脚 |
[37:02] | if I’m always thinking about my feet? | 那还怎么跳加伏特舞啊 |
[37:04] | Your mother looks very gay. | 你母亲看着很开心啊 |
[37:05] | She had some good news from New York before we arrived. | 我们来之前她收到了纽约传过来的好消息 |
[37:08] | What’s this, Mrs. Russell? | 是什么事 罗素夫人 |
[37:10] | Good news from New York? | 纽约传来的好消息 |
[37:12] | Has your husband got off? | 你丈夫要来了吗 |
[37:13] | No, no. | 不是 不是 |
[37:14] | He just wanted to wire me how well things are going | 他只是发个电报告诉我诸事多么顺利 |
[37:16] | and send his best wishes to all of you. | 并向你们各位表示问候 |
[37:21] | So tell me, Mr. McAllister. | 告诉我 麦卡利斯特先生 |
[37:23] | Have you persuaded her to buy a place here? | 你说服她在这里买房子了吗 |
[37:25] | Or better still, to build one? | 或者更好 建一个新房子 |
[37:26] | I can only show Mrs. Russell the options. | 我只是为罗素夫人提供一些可能的选项 |
[37:29] | I would not claim to have persuaded her to do anything. | 我不会声称自己说服了她做什么 |
[37:33] | She’s tenacious. | 她真坚决 |
[37:34] | I’ll give her that. | 这我得承认 |
[37:36] | Smile and take it as a compliment. | 只管微笑 当她是在夸你吧 |
[37:38] | It is a compliment, | 这就是一种夸奖啊 |
[37:39] | if you knew the number of times she’s pretended I didn’t exist. | 要知道之前有很多次 她都只当我不存在 |
[37:42] | And now here I am at her table because I’m tenacious, | 而现在我因坚决 成了她的座上宾 |
[37:45] | just as she said. | 正如她所言 |
[37:47] | And because you amuse her | 也是因为你让她很开心 |
[37:48] | more than she thought you would. | 超乎了她的预料 |
[37:50] | How are the plans for the ball coming along? | 接下来的舞会计划进展如何 |
[37:52] | Quite well, I think. | 我感觉很顺利 |
[37:54] | I worry it may be too soon. | 我担心会不会有些太快了 |
[37:56] | – Not for Gladys. – No, not for Gladys. For you. | -对格拉迪斯来说不是 -不 是对你来说 |
[37:59] | Don’t worry. I have a plan of campaign in mind. | 别担心 我已经想好了一整套宣传计划 |
[38:02] | Oh, never mind that. | 别管那些了 |
[38:04] | The trick is just to nod and say that you agree. | 技巧就是只管点头 说你赞成 |
[38:07] | And then everyone thinks you’re as clever as clever can be. | 然后所有人都会觉得你聪明绝顶 |
[38:11] | I think you are as clever as clever can be. | 我认为你的确聪明绝顶 |
[38:13] | But, like all gentlemen, you try to hide it. | 但就像所有绅士一样 你试图隐藏这点 |
[38:15] | Why is that? | 为什么 |
[38:16] | Because life’s quite serious enough | 因为生活已经够严肃了 |
[38:17] | without any help from me. | 不需要我再来掺和 |
[38:21] | Your friend has quite a way with young women, Mr. Van Rhijn. | 你的朋友很会讨年轻女孩欢心 范莱茵先生 |
[38:23] | You’re right. They seem to be having fun. | 你说得没错 他们看上去很开心 |
[38:25] | It’s all very new for Gladys. | 对格拉迪斯来说 这一切都很新鲜 |
[38:26] | She’s only out in this coming season, | 她在这个社交季才亮相 |
[38:28] | so she hasn’t had time to get bored with any of it. | 所以还没来得及对任何事厌倦呢 |
[38:30] | Then we must guard her closely | 那我们必须得紧密保护着她 |
[38:31] | and hope she never will. | 希望她永远别厌倦 |
[38:33] | Not too closely. That’s my job. | 不必太紧密 这是我的责任 |
[38:35] | Mr. Russell, you’ll be a team leader. | 罗素先生 你会成为一位领导者 |
[38:38] | If I’m not up to the task, I shall blame it on you. | 如果我没法胜任 那我可要怪您了 |
[38:43] | Larry knows how to handle her. | 拉里知道该怎么应对她 |
[38:45] | He does, doesn’t he? | 确实如此 对吧 |
[38:46] | Now, finish up and come into the parlor. | 晚宴吃得差不多了 各位来客厅吧 |
[38:49] | Oh, dear. More games. | 天哪 又要玩游戏了 |
[38:50] | Do you have any objections, Mrs. Russell? | 你有什么反对意见吗 罗素夫人 |
[38:52] | Not in the least, Mrs. Fish. | 完全没有 菲什夫人 |
[38:57] | Won’t you change your mind about Mrs. Russell? | 你就不能改变对罗素夫人的看法吗 |
[38:59] | For me, Mama, please. | 就算是为了我 妈妈 拜托了 |
[39:02] | Of course I can’t, girl. | 我肯定做不到 孩子 |
[39:04] | She’s no worse than Mrs. Jay Gould. | 她没有比杰伊·古尔德夫人更差 |
[39:05] | I do not receive Mrs. Gould. | 我也没有接受过古尔德夫人 |
[39:07] | I do not attend her entertainments. | 我从不参加她的聚会 |
[39:09] | Mrs. Ogden Mills? You go there. | 那奥格登·米尔斯夫人呢 你去她那里 |
[39:12] | Carrie, | 凯莉 |
[39:14] | Mrs. Mills was born a Livingston. | 米尔斯夫人生来就是利文斯顿家的人 |
[39:17] | Her family have been landowners for two centuries or more. | 她的家族两个多世纪以来都是地主 |
[39:20] | It is not my fault she married an upstart. | 她嫁给一个自命不凡的家伙可不是我的错 |
[39:22] | Besides, her mother asked me not to punish her for it. | 而且 她母亲也请求我不要为此而排斥她 |
[39:25] | – And I won’t. – So why punish Mrs. Russell? | -所以我不会 -那你为何要排斥罗素夫人呢 |
[39:28] | She has come from nothing. | 她是平民出身 |
[39:30] | And her husband is no better. | 她丈夫也好不到哪去 |
[39:32] | You called him a force to be reckoned with. | 你称他是一股不可忽视的力量 |
[39:34] | Well, it does not mean that I am obliged | 那并不意味着我有义务 |
[39:37] | to sit in his wife’s drawing room. | 坐在他妻子的客厅里 |
[39:39] | I think you’re being unkind. | 我觉得你太刻薄了 |
[39:41] | My dear, to be a leader means sometimes one must be unkind. | 亲爱的 成为领导者有时就意味着必须刻薄 |
[39:47] | It is not a role for the faint-hearted. | 懦弱的心肠担任不了这种角色 |
[39:51] | Sleep well, my dear. | 晚安 亲爱的 |
[39:58] | Miss Scott, | 斯科特小姐 |
[39:59] | Mrs. Van Rhijn understands you wanted to see her. | 范莱茵夫人听说你想见她 |
[40:01] | – If it’s convenient. – It is. | -如果方便的话 -是的 |
[40:03] | She’s in the drawing room with Miss Ada and Miss Marian. | 她正和艾达小姐以及玛丽安小姐一同在客厅呢 |
[40:06] | Miss Armstrong, she wondered | 阿姆斯特朗小姐 她想问问 |
[40:07] | if you might join them in ten minutes. | 你是否能在十分钟后也过去 |
[40:11] | – Me? – You. | -我吗 -是你 |
[40:19] | And this midwife, did she bury the child? | 这位助产士 是她埋葬了孩子吗 |
[40:23] | Did anyone christen him? | 有人为他洗礼吗 |
[40:25] | Oh, that poor innocent. | 可怜的无辜小生命 |
[40:27] | I don’t know because I never found her. | 我不知道 因为我一直都没找到她 |
[40:30] | I hoped Mr. Raikes could help me, | 我本希望雷克斯先生能帮我 |
[40:31] | but he wrote and told me | 但他写信告诉我 |
[40:32] | that he couldn’t trace her either. | 他也找不到她 |
[40:35] | So that was the letter that Armstrong read? | 阿姆斯特朗小姐读到的就是这封信吗 |
[40:38] | – Well, I was concerned– – Silence. | -我只是担心… -闭嘴 |
[40:40] | You’ll have your turn. | 还没轮到你说话 |
[40:42] | That was the letter. | 就是那封信 |
[40:44] | Of course, there is much in your story | 当然你的故事中有许多 |
[40:46] | that Armstrong did not glean. | 阿姆斯特朗不了解的内容 |
[40:48] | She said you bore an illegitimate child | 她说你生下了一个私生子 |
[40:51] | whom you then abandoned. | 之后又抛弃了孩子 |
[40:52] | That’s not exactly– | 我没有这样说… |
[40:53] | I find now that you are a married mother | 而我现在知道 你是一位已婚母亲 |
[40:56] | whose child died. | 失去了自己的孩子 |
[41:00] | I’ve lost children. | 我也失去过孩子 |
[41:02] | I know what that is. | 我知道那是什么感觉 |
[41:04] | You do, Agnes. | 是的 艾格妮丝 |
[41:06] | – And we should have every– – Yes, yes. | -所以我们应该… -是的 是的 |
[41:07] | But now we must decide what to do with Armstrong. | 但现在我们要先决定该如何处置阿姆斯特朗 |
[41:10] | I was only trying to protect the reputation of this house. | 我只是想要维护这个家族的名声 |
[41:13] | I could say the same. You may go. | 我也可以这样说 你走吧 |
[41:24] | What’s to be done, Miss Scott? | 你说该怎么办 斯科特小姐 |
[41:27] | With respect, ma’am, I cannot stay here. | 我很尊重您 夫人 不过我不能留在这了 |
[41:30] | Not now. | 现在不行了 |
[41:32] | – I’ll leave tonight. – I hope you don’t mean that. | -我今晚会离开这里 -你不是认真的吧 |
[41:35] | I’m afraid I do. | 恐怕是的 |
[41:36] | The way she treats me downstairs | 她在楼下时对我的态度 |
[41:38] | makes it impossible that I should stay. | 让我无法继续在这里待下去 |
[41:40] | And that would only get worse. | 之后的情况只会更糟 |
[41:42] | But I thank you for your kindness. | 但我非常感激你们的善意 |
[41:45] | And I wish you well. | 祝你们一切都好 |
[41:47] | And we thank you for your hard work. | 我们也很感谢你的辛勤工作 |
[41:50] | – Don’t we, Agnes? – Of course. | -对吧 艾格妮丝 -当然 |
[41:52] | But I do hope you’ll reconsider your decision, Miss Scott. | 但我真的希望你能重新考虑下 斯科特小姐 |
[41:55] | I’ll go up and pack a bag. | 我会上楼去打包行李 |
[41:57] | Can I come back for the rest of my things on another day? | 我可以改日再回来拿剩下的东西吗 |
[42:00] | Certainly. | 当然可以 |
[42:10] | Wouldn’t it have been better to lose Armstrong? | 更合适的做法不是辞退阿姆斯特朗吗 |
[42:14] | And have me train a new maid | 让我在剩下的年岁中 |
[42:17] | in all my ways at my time of life? | 培养一个熟悉我生活的新女仆吗 |
[42:21] | Maybe Miss Scott will change her mind. | 也许斯科特小姐会改变主意 |
[42:23] | She won’t. | 她不会的 |
[42:25] | But perhaps she’s right. | 但也许她说得对 |
[42:27] | Perhaps the time has come for a new chapter. | 也许现在是该进入新时代了 |
[42:30] | For all of us. | 对我们所有人都是 |
[42:32] | How final you make that sound. | 你这话听着好决绝 |
[42:43] | Can I persuade you to stay, Miss Scott? | 我能说服你留下吗 斯科特小姐 |
[42:47] | I can’t. Not the way things are. | 不行 至少按照现在的情况不行 |
[42:49] | Really, Miss Ada’s right. | 真的 艾达小姐说得对 |
[42:52] | It ought to be Armstrong who goes. | 走的人应该是阿姆斯特朗 |
[42:54] | Seems very feeble on my part. | 我感觉自己很无理 |
[42:58] | Couldn’t let you do that. It would be too disruptive. | 不能让您解雇她 会引起太多混乱 |
[43:01] | I’ll be just fine. | 我会没事的 |
[43:04] | I hope we can end on good terms. | 我希望我们能好聚好散 |
[43:06] | Of course. | 当然 |
[43:08] | I remain very grateful for the time | 我仍然感激您让我 |
[43:10] | you’ve let me spend in this house. | 留宿在这里的时间 |
[43:12] | You’re an impressive young woman. | 你是位出色的年轻女士 |
[43:16] | Not everyone will support your ambitions, | 起码可以说 不是所有人 |
[43:18] | to say the least of it. | 都会支持你的野心 |
[43:20] | But you are strong enough to manage that. | 但你足够强大 能不去理会那些声音 |
[43:23] | Thank you. I’ll try to be. | 谢谢 我会努力 |
[43:27] | And now you’d better go if you are to catch the last ferry. | 你最好动身去赶最后一趟轮渡了 |
[43:30] | Goodbye, Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 后会有期 范莱茵夫人 |
[43:35] | Goodbye, Miss Scott. | 后会有期 斯科特小姐 |
[43:37] | And may God bless you. | 愿上帝祝福你 |
[43:55] | How can you spend so much time in New York | 你怎么愿意在纽约待这么长时间 |
[43:57] | when you have this to come home to? | 明明这里有如此美丽的房子 |
[43:59] | What can I say? I am a social animal. | 我能说什么 我是只花蝴蝶 |
[44:02] | Will it change things, having Mrs. Astor here every summer? | 今后阿斯特夫人每个夏天过来会改变什么吗 |
[44:05] | I should have thought it would have been | 我认为这样的安排 |
[44:06] | a little too much of a good thing. | 再好不过了 |
[44:08] | Amen. | 所言极是 |
[44:09] | I think that will be the challenge. | 而且我想这是个挑战 |
[44:11] | To make sure New York and Newport | 确保纽约和纽波特 |
[44:14] | remain distinct in their ways of doing things. | 保持各自的行事风格 |
[44:16] | Do you know what the Astors paid for Beechwood? | 你知道阿斯特夫妇花了多少钱买下比奇伍德吗 |
[44:18] | Not far short of $200,000. | 至少二十万 |
[44:21] | I don’t think Mrs. Astor would be happy | 我觉得阿斯特夫人不会喜欢 |
[44:23] | to know you’ve told us that. | 你告诉我们价格 |
[44:24] | – I wish I could have seen it. – Why? | -我真希望能看看 -为什么 |
[44:27] | Well, apart from anything else, | 别的不说 |
[44:28] | I’d like to know what you can expect for $200,000. | 我想看看二十万能买到什么样的房子 |
[44:30] | Well, it’s a shame she’s not here. | 真可惜她不在这里 |
[44:33] | Why don’t I take you? We’ll go this afternoon. | 不如我带你去吧 我们今天下午去 |
[44:35] | I know the butler. He won’t mind. | 我认识那里的管家 他不会介意 |
[44:38] | The legendary Mr. Hefty? | 传说中的赫夫蒂先生吗 |
[44:39] | I thought he stayed in New York. | 我以为他留在了纽约 |
[44:41] | No, there’s a new routine now the house is finished. | 不 房子建完后有了新规矩 |
[44:44] | He comes out two days ahead of her. | 每次他会比她提前两天来 |
[44:46] | And she’s due tomorrow. It’ll be all right. | 她计划明天到 没关系 |
[44:49] | – Is that wise? – Do I have to come? | -这样做明智吗 -我也得去吗 |
[44:51] | You can stay here with me, dear. | 你可以留在这跟我一起 亲爱的 |
[44:52] | That might be better. | 这样或许更好 |
[44:53] | Shouldn’t we wait until Mrs. Astor’s in town? | 我们难道不该等到阿斯特夫人来了吗 |
[44:55] | No, it’ll be simpler today. | 不 今天去更简单些 |
[45:02] | But shouldn’t this Miss Armstrong | 但走的人难道不该是这个 |
[45:04] | have been the one to go, not you? | 阿姆斯特朗小姐吗 而不是你 |
[45:06] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[45:07] | But Marian told me Mrs. Van Rhijn felt | 但玛丽安说范莱茵夫人认为 |
[45:09] | she could never learn to live without her maid. | 她无法在没有女仆的情况下生活 |
[45:12] | Marian? | 玛丽安 |
[45:15] | We were friends in the end. | 我们最后和好如初了 |
[45:18] | She’ll miss you. | 她会想你的 |
[45:20] | Stuck in that house with two old ladies. | 和两个老妇人困在那栋房子里 |
[45:22] | They’re not so old. | 她们也没那么老 |
[45:24] | And anyway, I don’t think she’ll be there much longer. | 总之 我觉得她也不会继续住太久 |
[45:26] | She’s getting married. | 她要结婚了 |
[45:27] | But what about you? That’s what I want to know. | 那你呢 这是我关心的事 |
[45:30] | There’s a lot in your future, | 你的未来有无限可能 |
[45:31] | if you’ll only get out and make it happen. | 但你需要走出去实现那一切 |
[45:34] | I just know it. | 我很清楚 |
[45:35] | You remind me of Mrs. Van Rhijn. | 你这话跟范莱茵夫人如出一辙 |
[45:38] | If that’s true, then I respect her for it. | 如果真是如此 我赞同她这个观点 |
[45:40] | But what will you do? | 但之后你打算怎么办 |
[45:41] | Stay here, if you’ll let me. | 住在这里 如果你允许 |
[45:44] | And continue with my work at “The Globe.” | 还要继续在《环球报》工作 |
[45:47] | We may have a problem with your father. | 我们或许会与你父亲产生矛盾 |
[45:49] | I can always move out again. | 我总可以再次搬出去 |
[45:51] | No need for fighting talk just yet. | 没必要现在就争吵 |
[45:53] | I’ll say nothing unless he’s looking for a fight. | 只要他不故意找茬 我什么都不会说 |
[45:55] | But if he is, then I’ll give him one. | 但如果他想吵 我就如他所愿 |
[45:57] | Perhaps, but right now, | 或许吧 但不是现在 |
[45:58] | could you put down your sword and have some coffee? | 你能先把剑放下 喝点咖啡吗 |
[46:21] | We could take a quick look around the first floor, | 我们可以快速参观下一楼 |
[46:24] | can’t we, Hefty? | 对吧 赫夫蒂 |
[46:26] | Mrs. Astor wouldn’t mind. | 阿斯特夫人不会介意 |
[46:29] | You could tell her I was here with Mrs. Fane. | 你可以告诉她我是与费恩夫人一起来的 |
[46:33] | If you’re sure of that, Mr. McAllister. | 如果您确定 麦卡利斯特先生 |
[46:37] | Be my guest. | 请吧 |
[46:44] | It was built about 30 years ago | 房子约在三十年前建成 |
[46:46] | for a man called Daniel Parrish. | 建筑师名叫丹尼尔·帕里什 |
[46:50] | And the year before last, it was bought | 前年 威廉·巴克豪斯·阿斯特 |
[46:52] | by William Backhouse Astor. | 买下了这栋庄园 |
[46:55] | Although, of course, it was really for his wife. | 尽管这房子其实是为他妻子买的 |
[46:58] | He’s never off his yacht. | 他从来不下游艇 |
[47:01] | And she’s never on it. | 而她从来不上去 |
[47:13] | She’s here. She’s come early. | 她来了 她提早到了 |
[47:15] | Oh, good Lord. | 天呐 |
[47:18] | Shall we go out the back? | 我们要从后门出去吗 |
[47:19] | No. She knows you’re in the house. | 不行 她知道你们在屋里 |
[47:20] | She would have seen your carriage. | 她肯定看到了你的马车 |
[47:23] | Get rid of Mrs. Russell. | 带罗素夫人走 |
[47:24] | Come with me. | 跟我来 |
[47:27] | But– | 但… |
[47:30] | Smile. | 保持微笑 |
[47:35] | Right this way. | 这边走 |
[47:38] | – Ma’am, please, this way. – Sorry. | -夫人 拜托 这边走 -抱歉 |
[47:42] | Quickly. | 快点 |
[47:45] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[47:50] | Here we are. | 到了 |
[48:01] | Dear Lina, I bid you welcome to your own house. | 亲爱的莉娜 你回到自己家肯定很开心 |
[48:05] | How nice to see you. And you, Aurora. | 真高兴见到你 还有你 奥萝拉 |
[48:09] | I hope you approve of my efforts. | 我希望你们喜欢我的装修 |
[48:10] | Everything is too lovely for any words. | 所有一切都太美好 溢于言表 |
[48:14] | You’re so clever. | 你太机智了 |