时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:46] | My dear, are you sure this is wise? | 你确定这么做好吗? |
[01:48] | I’m quite sure it is not. | 我知道这样很不智 |
[01:50] | Mr. Raikes feels it’s our only way out of a log jam, and I agree. | 瑞克斯先生说 这是打破僵局唯一途径 -我也同意 -你们有何计划? |
[01:53] | So what is his plan? | |
[01:55] | We’re meeting in the park later, to finalize details | 我们待会儿在公园碰面 敲定细节 |
[01:58] | but I know it’s next Friday. | 预计下周五行动 |
[02:02] | It’s a lot to ask… | 我有事相求 |
[02:05] | Go on. | 你说吧 |
[02:07] | Can we meet here on the day? | 当天能在这里碰面吗? |
[02:09] | I’ll get my bag to you somehow. | 我会设法把行李运过来 |
[02:10] | And I’ll provide the carriage to take you to Grand Central. | 我派马车送你们去中央车站 |
[02:13] | – Would you do that? – Why not? | 您真愿意帮忙? 没什么不可的,我不怕丑闻 毕竟本身已丑闻缠身了 |
[02:16] | I have no fear of scandal. I’m a walking scandal as it is. | |
[02:19] | Then when we’re married, we’ll come back to New York | 结完婚后我们会回纽约看看情况 |
[02:21] | and see how the land lies. | |
[02:23] | After all, there’s no law that says we have to stay here. | 毕竟法律没规定一定得待在这里 |
[02:25] | I do not believe Mr. Raikes will give up New York so easily. | 我认为瑞克斯先生 放不下纽约生活 |
[02:30] | You’re wrong. | 您错了 |
[02:31] | Society means as little to him as it does to me. | 他跟我一样不在乎社交生活 |
[02:35] | Then that is what matters. | 若这样就没问题了 |
[02:39] | Thank you, Edward. | 谢谢你,爱德华 |
[02:42] | Does the podium look big enough to you? | 乐队舞台够大吗? |
[02:44] | It’s what the bandleader asked for. | 这是指挥要求的大小 |
[02:46] | Good… | 那就好 |
[02:49] | And everything’s on course downstairs? | 楼下工作都如期进行吗? |
[02:50] | It’s all under control, ma’am. | 回夫人,一切按部就班 |
[02:53] | I worry that it may be too small. | 我担心会太小 |
[03:05] | Take a tray of coffee to the drawing room for Mrs. Russell, right away. | 快送咖啡到客厅去给老爷 |
[03:08] | Right away, sir. | 马上去 |
[03:09] | – Have they finished upstairs? – They’re finishing now. | -楼上都准备好了? -在收尾了 |
[03:12] | – Is the mistress pleased? – Is she ever pleased? | 夫人满意吗? 她何时满意过 |
[03:14] | Content, then. | -至少可接受吧 -她很紧张 |
[03:15] | She’s very nervous. | |
[03:16] | She has nothing to worry about. | 没什么好紧张的 |
[03:21] | – Good, the carriage is here. – Yes, ma’am. | 很好,马车到了 -是,夫人 -要在三点前到 |
[03:24] | I want to arrive before three. | |
[03:25] | I believe Mrs. Astor is very precise about these things. | 我想阿斯特夫人很重视守时 |
[03:28] | It’s a quarter past two, ma’am, so I’d say your timing is perfect. | 现在才两点一刻 时间上很充裕 |
[03:45] | Mrs. Chamberlain will let us meet at her house at ten. | 十点在钱柏林夫人家会合 |
[03:48] | Her carriage will take us to Grand Central. | 搭她的马车到中央车站 |
[03:50] | I’ll get a bag to her and you can carry what you need for the night. | 我会先把行李送到她家 你带过夜所需就行 |
[03:54] | But not too much. We won’t be gone long. | 不用带太多,反正不会离开太久 |
[03:58] | I love you, Marian. | 我爱你,玛丽安 |
[04:01] | In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever loved you more | 我对你的爱此刻已达到极致 |
[04:02] | than I do at this moment. | |
[04:04] | That’s all right, then. | 这样很好啊 |
[04:21] | Mrs. Astor is not at home, madam. | 阿斯特夫人不在家 |
[04:23] | You gave her my card? | -你把我名片给她了吗? -抱歉,夫人不在家 |
[04:24] | I’m afraid she’s not at home. | |
[04:28] | You didn’t tell her about that time in Newport, did you, Mr. Hefty? | 你没跟她说纽波特那次的事吧 海夫堤先生? |
[04:31] | Mrs. Astor is not at home. | 阿斯特夫人不在家 |
[04:34] | – So you said. – Good day. | -我不信 -再见 |
[04:36] | – Wait for me here. – Of course, ma’am. | -在这里等 -是,夫人 |
[04:38] | I shouldn’t be long. | 我不会待太久 |
[04:39] | – Welcome, Mrs. Randolph. – Good day, Hefty. | 欢迎蓝道夫夫人 你好,海夫堤 |
[04:43] | – Come right this way. – Thank you. | 快请进 谢谢 |
[04:54] | How’s the ball coming along, Mother? | 母亲,舞会准备得如何? |
[04:57] | That reminds me… | 说到舞会 |
[04:58] | I’m afraid we must ask Carrie Astor to step down. | 恐怕得请凯莉阿斯特退出了 |
[05:01] | What? | -什么? -她不能来表演方舞 |
[05:02] | It won’t be possible for her to perform the dance. | |
[05:04] | Why not? | 为什么? |
[05:05] | Because it won’t be possible for me to invite her to the ball. | 我不能邀请她来舞会 |
[05:08] | What are you saying? | -什么意思? -我今天去拜访阿斯特夫人 |
[05:09] | I looked in on Mrs. Astor today | |
[05:11] | – and she wouldn’t accept my call. – I told you. | -她不见我 -我就说吧 |
[05:13] | But I can’t have her daughter here when she doesn’t receive me. | 她不接纳我 她女儿就不能来我家 |
[05:16] | Perhaps she wasn’t there. | 也许她不在家 |
[05:17] | A friend of hers was admitted just as I was leaving. | 我看到她让一名友人进去了 |
[05:19] | They’ve been practicing for weeks. Why didn’t you say this sooner? | 他们练习那么久了 您怎么不早说? |
[05:22] | It never occurred to me Mrs. Astor would let Carrie dance at the ball | 我哪知她让女儿在舞会表演 |
[05:25] | if she didn’t plan to come herself. | 自己却不打算来 |
[05:26] | But, Mother, Orme Wilson’s Carrie’s partner. | 奥姆威尔森是凯莉的舞伴 |
[05:29] | It’s all arranged. | 都安排好了 |
[05:30] | I can’t help that. | 那也没办法 |
[05:32] | What about the others? | 那其他人呢? |
[05:33] | Angela Schermerhorn, Sally Drexel, the boys… | 安琪拉斯凯莫宏 莎莉德瑞索和其他男士? |
[05:35] | are they all to be turned away if their parents won’t come? | -父母不来,他们也不能表演? -只能这样了 |
[05:37] | I’m afraid so. | |
[05:38] | Mother, you can’t pull the rug from under them now! | 您不能这样临时变卦 |
[05:40] | You will not say “can’t” to me. | 别对我说"不能"二字 |
[05:41] | Why shouldn’t the girl come on her own, if she wants to? | 就让那些女孩子来有什么关系 |
[05:44] | And the rest of the young people, too? | 还有其他年轻人 |
[05:46] | And do you think Mrs. Astor would entertain | 换成是我怠慢阿斯特夫人 她会邀请我女儿吗? |
[05:47] | a young woman whose mother had snubbed her? | |
[05:53] | Precisely. | 同样的道理 |
[05:56] | Thank you, Church. | 邱区,可以收了 |
[06:09] | What a nice surprise. | 真高兴你来了 |
[06:11] | I hope this means you’ve changed your mind. | 希望这表示你回心转意了 |
[06:13] | No. But it’s good to see you. | 不是的,真高兴看到你 |
[06:14] | I’m here to collect my clothes. | 我来拿衣物 |
[06:16] | Aunt Agnes will be so disappointed. | 爱格姑妈会很失望的 |
[06:18] | Please give them both my best regards. | 请代我向二老问好 |
[06:20] | Have you made your plans? | 都计划好了吗? |
[06:25] | We’re meeting at Mrs. Chamberlain’s. | 我们先去钱柏林夫人家会合 |
[06:27] | How kind of her. | 她人真好 |
[06:29] | Oh, that’s nice. | 这很理想 |
[06:31] | I don’t suppose you’d do me a favor? | 想请你帮我个忙 |
[06:33] | I’ve got to smuggle my traveling bag to her house | 我得把行李偷偷运到她家 |
[06:35] | and nobody’d notice if you had it. | 你一并带走的话没人会起疑 |
[06:37] | It’s not going to be heavy. | 不会很重的 |
[06:39] | I’ll take it there. I’ll be in a cab. | 没问题,我招了出租马车 |
[06:41] | Where are you planning to live? | 你们打算住在哪里? |
[06:43] | In Tom’s apartment, I suppose. | 住在汤姆的公寓吧 |
[06:46] | Unless he’s got a better idea. How are your parents? | 除非他另有打算 你父母都好吗? |
[06:49] | My father’s in Chicago until next month. | 我父亲去芝加哥,下个月回来 |
[06:51] | But my mother’s well. | 我母亲很好 |
[06:52] | It’s good that you can spend time together before he gets back. | 你们母女趁他回来前能好好聚聚 |
[06:55] | When is the wedding? | 你什么时候结婚? |
[06:57] | Friday. Same day as Mrs. Russell’s ball. | 周五 跟罗素夫人的舞会同天 |
[07:00] | Would you come and see me off? | 你能来送别吗 我们打算十点走 我一定到 |
[07:01] | – We’re leaving at ten. – If you’d like. | |
[07:05] | But I do feel sorry for Mrs. van Rhijn and Miss Brook. | 凡瑞恩夫人和布鲁克小姐 未免太可怜了 |
[07:08] | Don’t worry. I’m going to write to Aunt Agnes, the whole story. | 别担心,我会写信 告诉爱格姑妈来龙去脉 |
[07:11] | And I’ll do a letter for Aunt Ada too, so it won’t look suspicious. | 也给艾达姑妈写一封 以免启人疑窦 |
[07:15] | It’s really happening, then? | 你真的要结婚了? |
[07:17] | Yes. | 对 |
[07:20] | It really is. | 我要结婚了 |
[07:25] | Ah, Caroline. | 凯莉琳,有一封你的信 海夫堤拿给我了 |
[07:26] | – There’s a letter for you. – Hefty gave it to me. | |
[07:29] | Who is it from? | 谁寄来的? |
[07:30] | Mrs. Russell. | 罗素夫人 |
[07:33] | I suppose it was the invitation to her wretched ball. | 想必是邀请你 去她那烦人的舞会 |
[07:35] | No. | 不是 |
[07:37] | It was to explain why I would not be sent an invitation. | 她向我解释为何不邀请我 |
[07:40] | What? | 什么? |
[07:41] | She says I can’t come and I can’t dance | 她说我不能在舞会上表演 |
[07:43] | because you would not receive her when she called. | 因为她来访时你不见她 |
[07:44] | She came at an inconvenient moment. | 她来得不是时候 |
[07:47] | She says someone else was admitted. | 她说你让别人进去 |
[07:48] | That was Mrs. Randolph. | 是蓝道夫夫人 |
[07:50] | She wanted to see me alone. What was I to do? | 她说想单独见我 我有什么办法 |
[07:53] | Would you call on Mrs. Russell now, if I asked you? | 若我请您去拜访罗素夫人 您会去吗? |
[07:55] | I’m sure she’s far too busy to waste her time on me. | 人家在忙,没空招待我 |
[07:58] | But that’s not true, is it? | -才不是这么回事吧? -你说什么? |
[08:00] | I’m sorry? | |
[08:01] | You wouldn’t call on her if your life depended on it! | 你宁死也不愿去拜访她 |
[08:03] | I worked on the dance for weeks! | 我的舞练了好久 |
[08:05] | Did you think of that? | 您有没有想过? |
[08:07] | You must have known she’d drop me | 你故意给她吃闭门羹让我难堪 |
[08:08] | when you wouldn’t let her into the house. | |
[08:10] | – My dear… – I’m going upstairs. | -女儿‥ -我上楼了 |
[08:11] | Carrie… | 凯莉‥ |
[08:13] | Caroline! | 凯莉琳 |
[08:24] | I suppose this means you’re really leaving? | 看来你当真要离开了 |
[08:27] | I am, Miss Brook. | 是的,布鲁克小姐 |
[08:29] | I’m very sorry. | 我真舍不得 |
[08:32] | – You’ve been so kind. – Not at all. | 您对我一直很好 别这么说 |
[08:35] | Do use the front door. | 走前门吧 |
[08:37] | There’s no need for you to struggle down to the kitchen | 没必要先下楼到厨房 又爬楼梯出去 |
[08:39] | and up the basement steps. | |
[08:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢您 |
[08:44] | Miss Marian has a bag like that. | 玛丽安也有同样的行李袋 |
[08:48] | This is Miss Marian’s. | 这就是她的行李袋 |
[08:50] | She lent it to me for the move. | 她借我搬家用的 |
[08:52] | You’d… never help Miss Marian do anything foolish, would you? | 你‥ 该不会在帮她做傻事吧? |
[08:57] | I’d try to persuade her not to do it. | 我会说服她别做傻事 |
[09:00] | You can count on me for that. | 这点请您放心 |
[09:01] | That’s not quite the same thing, though, is it? | 这是答非所问吧? |
[09:05] | Goodbye, my dear. | 再见了 |
[09:07] | Goodbye, Miss Brook. | 再见,布鲁克小姐 |
[09:15] | Kneynsberg and Cuyper want to extend their loan. | 奈柏格和凯普想增加借款额度 |
[09:19] | By how much? | 增加多少? |
[09:20] | They want another million, and a year longer to repay. | 再一百万,偿还期延长一年 跟上次一样 |
[09:23] | Same terms. | |
[09:24] | There’s nothing wrong with the bank, is there? | 他们的银行没问题吧? |
[09:26] | Not that I’m aware of, but we’ll look into it. | 我看是没问题,但会再确认 |
[09:31] | It’s flattering that the great Julius Cuyper | 高高在上的朱利斯凯普 居然会来跟我借钱 |
[09:33] | should come with his begging bowl. | |
[09:35] | Is he so very great? | 他真有那么了不起? |
[09:36] | His wife is. | 是他的夫人 |
[09:38] | They say even Mrs. Astor treats her with care. | 据说阿斯特夫人也敬她三分 |
[09:41] | I don’t know about such things. | 这种事我不大清楚 |
[09:43] | If you lived with Mrs. Russell, you would. | 跟罗素夫人住久了自然会知道 |
[09:51] | If that’s dinner, I’m afraid Miss Caroline isn’t here yet. | 等凯莉琳小姐下楼再开饭吧 |
[09:55] | Oh, she’s not coming down, madam. | 回夫人,她不下楼了 |
[09:56] | She’s asked for a tray in her room. | 小姐要求送餐到她房里 |
[10:01] | I see. | 这样啊 |
[10:02] | – Would you like me to go up there? – No. | 要我上楼服侍吗? 不用了 |
[10:05] | If she’s asked for a tray, then a tray she must have. | 她说要在房里用餐 顺着她就是了 |
[10:10] | Is she coming with me to Mrs. Bevan’s reception later, do you know? | 她待会儿会陪我 去贝文夫人家赴约吗? |
[10:14] | According to her maid, she’s gone to bed, madam. | 侍女说她打算就寝了 |
[10:19] | Well, then. | 那好吧 |
[10:22] | I shall go alone. | 我自己去就是 |
[10:43] | Is anything the matter? | 您怎么了吗? |
[10:46] | You tell me. | 你说呢? |
[10:49] | What do you mean? | 什么意思呢? |
[10:50] | You seem so distracted nowadays. | 你最近总是心神不宁 |
[10:54] | Is it Miss Barton’s Red Cross? | 是红十字会的事吗? |
[10:59] | Well, something is on your mind. | 你心里肯定有事 |
[11:01] | Or are you going to tell me I’m wrong? | 难道我说错了? |
[11:05] | I hope it has nothing to do with Mr. Raikes. | 希望不是跟瑞克斯先生有关 |
[11:08] | I know Aunt Agnes doesn’t like him… | 我知道爱格姑妈不喜欢他 |
[11:10] | She will like him even less if you’re planning some sort of escapade. | 万一做出惊人之举 她只会更讨厌他 |
[11:13] | She’ll come to like him, when she decides to get to know him. | 只要愿意去了解,她会喜欢他的 |
[11:15] | Not if you force her hand. | 硬逼只会适得其反 |
[11:19] | Dearest Aunt Ada, I don’t want you to know the details | 艾达姑妈,我不能透露太多 |
[11:22] | because I don’t want you to be blamed. | 因为我不想连累你 |
[11:28] | Marian… | 玛丽安 |
[11:31] | if you want to marry this man | 若你真想嫁给他 |
[11:33] | then come out with it. | 那就勇敢说出来 |
[11:35] | Sit through the argument, hold to your faith. | 别怕起争执,意志要坚定 |
[11:38] | And if he’s right for you | 如果他是对的人 |
[11:39] | eventually it will come to pass. | 总有一天能结成连理 |
[11:43] | I haven’t got time for “eventually.” | 我没办法等那么久 |
[11:45] | You will break Agnes’s heart. | 爱格会很伤心的 |
[11:47] | You know that’s not true. | 你明知她不会 |
[11:48] | It’s her pride we’re dealing with here, not her heart. | 她是怕丢脸,而不是伤心 |
[11:53] | I can’t help blaming Mr. Raikes. | 都要怪瑞克斯先生 |
[11:55] | Don’t. | 别怪他 |
[11:58] | We both wanted to wait until we had Aunt Agnes’s blessing. | 我们本来也想等爱格姑妈答应 |
[12:01] | But he hasn’t waited. Has he, dear? | 但他等不及了 是吗? |
[12:05] | Oscar has invited himself for dinner tomorrow night. | 奥斯卡说他明天要来吃晚饭 |
[12:08] | That’s nice. | 太好了 |
[12:16] | Isn’t Henry James a little dense for a young lady? | 女孩子看亨利詹姆斯的书 不会太难了吗? |
[12:24] | Baudin, that was a good dinner. | 波丹大厨 晚餐很可口 |
[12:30] | What is it? | 怎么了? |
[12:33] | Is everything all right? | 一切都还好吧? |
[12:34] | Not exactly, sir. | 回老爷,不太好 |
[12:36] | I hope this doesn’t mean you’re handing in your notice. | 你该不会是想辞职吧 |
[12:39] | No. But it may result in my dismissal. | 不是,但说出来恐怕我就得走人 |
[12:45] | Well, that sounds very serious. | 听起来很严重,关上门说 |
[12:46] | You’d better close the doors. | |
[12:53] | – What? – It’s true. | -什么? -对 |
[12:54] | He’s just a farm boy from Kansas. | 他出身堪萨斯州农家 |
[12:56] | Then how did it all start? | 那怎会变成这样? |
[12:58] | He was a merchant seaman. | 他原本是跑船的 |
[12:59] | He left the ship in France | 到了法国后 |
[13:01] | found a job washing dishes at a restaurant in Cannes. | 在坎城一家餐厅当洗碗工 |
[13:03] | He trained there | 也在那里学会厨艺 |
[13:05] | but when he got back to New York | 回到纽约后发现 没人想雇用威奇塔来的厨师 |
[13:06] | he discovered that nobody wanted a cook from Wichita. | |
[13:10] | They were all looking for a chef from Gay Paree. | 但人人争着要法国厨师 |
[13:12] | And so he became “Monsieur Baudin”? | 于是他化身波丹大厨? |
[13:14] | He was quite settled into the role when we met him. | 我们找上他时已行之有年 |
[13:16] | – What’s his real name? – Borden. | 他真名叫什么? 姓波登 |
[13:19] | Josh Borden. | 乔许波登 |
[13:21] | And why are we being told now? | 他怎么突然想坦白了? |
[13:23] | His wife has tracked him down. | 他太太找上他 |
[13:24] | And she wants money. | 来要钱? |
[13:25] | Worse. She wanted a reconciliation. | 比那更惨,她想复合 |
[13:27] | She found out he was doing well. | 因得知他事业有成 |
[13:29] | No doubt we will be hearing from her soon. | 应该很快会找上我们 |
[13:31] | Well, I’m sorry, George, but we cannot have a chef from Kansas. | 我爱莫能助 我们不能雇用堪州来的厨师 |
[13:34] | We’d be a laughingstock. | 会笑掉人家大牙 |
[13:35] | But if the food’s the same… | 无损菜肴的味道吧 |
[13:37] | You don’t know the women of New York. | 你不知道纽约贵妇 都在等着看别人出糗 |
[13:38] | They’re all looking for something about us to ridicule. | |
[13:40] | And when they hear that we were taken in | 万一让她们知道了 我们就等着被生吞活剥 |
[13:41] | we’d be providing it on a plate. Literally. | |
[13:47] | – If that’s your decision… – It is. | -你很坚决? -没错 |
[13:49] | And I want him gone for the ball. | 叫他别碰舞会餐点 |
[13:50] | I’ll send a message to the agency in the morning | 我明早去信商社 请他们推荐现有最佳人选 |
[13:52] | for the best available chef on their books. | |
[13:54] | I’ll give Baudin excellent references. | 我会给波丹写推荐信,你放心 这不公平,他做事很认真 他隐瞒真实身份 |
[13:56] | – You needn’t look stricken. – It’s unfair. | |
[13:59] | – He’s a hard worker. – He’s been living a lie, George | |
[14:01] | and it’s made us vulnerable to every snob in New York. We must do it. | 会害我们受纽约的势利鬼取笑 他非走不可 |
[14:07] | So you brought it on your own head? | 你揭穿了自己的身份? |
[14:10] | I couldn’t let it go on forever. | 总不能一直瞒下去 |
[14:12] | But we’re only a few days away from Mrs. Russell’s ball. | 过几天夫人就要办舞会了 |
[14:15] | My wife thought that strengthened her hand. I had to stop her. | 我太太认为这对她更有利 我不能让她得逞 |
[14:18] | If you’re not Monsieur Baudin, why are you still talking like him? | 你都揭露身份了 说话何必带法国腔? |
[14:23] | Because this is who I have been for years. | 我这样说话已经很久了 |
[14:26] | And now, it’s hard to break the habit. | 一时改不掉习惯 |
[14:28] | If your name is Josh Borden and you come from Wichita | 既然你是威奇塔人乔许波登 |
[14:32] | I think you’ve got to try. | 好歹试一下恢复腔调 |
[14:38] | You’re right. | 也是 |
[14:41] | You’re absolutely right. | 你说的很对 |
[14:44] | So, what happens now? | 接下来怎么办? |
[14:46] | I cook | 我继续待到新厨师接手为止 |
[14:47] | ’til the new chef arrives and then he takes over. | |
[14:50] | What will you do about your wife? | 你太太那边怎么办? |
[14:53] | I shall try to persuade her to divorce me. | 我会说服她离婚 |
[14:55] | Why didn’t you do it years ago, when you had nothing? | 你尚未发达前怎么不早离婚? |
[14:57] | Because I’m a fool. | 是我太傻了 |
[14:58] | I think it’s unfair that you have to go. | 现在开除你不公平 |
[15:00] | Especially with the ball. | 你为舞会付出那么多 |
[15:02] | Please don’t take sides over things you don’t understand. | 请别妄自选边站 |
[15:04] | Madame has a high mountain to climb. | 夫人有更难的事要克服 不能感情用事 |
[15:06] | She cannot afford to be sentimental. | |
[15:14] | She won’t budge. I’ve tried everything I can think of. | 她硬是不退让 我什么方法都试过了 |
[15:16] | I promise. | |
[15:18] | – Carrie. – Hello, Mrs. Russell. | -凯莉 -您好,罗素夫人 |
[15:20] | Church said you were here. | 我听说你来了 |
[15:21] | If you’d rather I didn’t call… | -若您不欢迎的话‥ -别这么说 希望你能谅解我的决定 |
[15:23] | Oh, my dear, I hope you understand why I cannot allow you | |
[15:26] | to perform at the ball. | |
[15:27] | – It is only because… – My mother has offended you. I know. | -那是因为‥ -我母亲冒犯您,我知道 |
[15:30] | But you are welcome in this house at any other time. | 其他时间你想来随时欢迎 |
[15:33] | Would you forgive my mother if she apologized? | 若她道歉,您会原谅她吗? |
[15:36] | I don’t think it very likely, but of course. I’d be delighted. | 我想不太可能 但她若道歉我当然不计较 |
[15:39] | Your kindness is a beacon of light after the treatment you received. | 您真是大人大量,不计前嫌 |
[15:42] | Thank you, my dear. | 谢谢你 |
[15:44] | And now, I must go. I have a fitting. | 不陪你们了,我得去试穿 |
[15:53] | Monsieur Charron, welcome. | 夏隆大厨,欢迎加入 |
[15:55] | May I present our household, whom you will come to know. | 我来介绍日后一起共事的家仆 随你便 |
[15:59] | Yes. If you wish. | |
[16:03] | Mr. Charron, I am Mrs. Bruce, the housekeeper here | 我是女管家布鲁斯太太 |
[16:06] | and I have a book of instructions | 这本注意事项 |
[16:08] | which our last chef, Mr. Borden, left | 是前任波登大厨 为明晚舞会做的注记 |
[16:10] | to help you with the ball tomorrow night. | |
[16:12] | Why would I bother with that, when he has been sacked? | 他是被开除的,我干吗看? |
[16:14] | Mr. Borden was not sacked. He left by mutual agreement. | 他没被开除,是合意解职 |
[16:17] | And because the ball is almost upon us | 舞会将至 他已做足了准备工作 |
[16:19] | he has done a great deal of preliminary work already. | |
[16:22] | All of which he has recorded in this notebook. | 他都写在这本笔记上 |
[16:29] | You had better read it, monsieur. The mistress has agreed to the menus | 您最好还是看一下 菜色是经夫人同意的 |
[16:33] | and she will not care for any last-minute deviations. | 临时变动她会不高兴 |
[16:36] | If the ball is tomorrow | 舞会就是明天 |
[16:37] | I presume she must take what I give her. | 我上什么菜她也只能接受 |
[16:41] | Now where is my room? | 我的房间在哪里? |
[16:43] | If you would come with me. | 我带您去 |
[16:47] | If it’s him versus Mrs. Russell | 他跟夫人对着干,你想谁会赢? 我已想好要赌谁赢了 |
[16:50] | – what are the odds? – I know where I’d put my money. | |
[16:55] | I’ll correct it right away, madam. | 我立刻修改,夫人 |
[16:56] | I thought I heard talking in here. | 我听到你的声音 |
[16:58] | The ball dress arrived from Paris yesterday. | 巴黎寄来的礼服昨天到了 |
[17:01] | Miss Gossage has been making the final adjustments. | 高萨吉小姐在帮我调整尺寸 |
[17:03] | I can’t wait to see it. | 我很期待看你穿 |
[17:05] | How is the ball going? | 哪些人要来舞会? |
[17:07] | Acceptances from people I don’t want | 我不稀罕的人都会出席 |
[17:09] | and a lot of Aurora’s friends, whom I want a little. | 奥萝拉那票朋友我觉得尚可 |
[17:12] | Silence from the people I want a lot. | 我求之不得的人都没回复 |
[17:15] | – And the parents of the dancers? – Not a squeak from any of them. | -表演者的父母呢? -没人回应我 |
[17:19] | What about Mr. McAllister? | 麦卡里斯特先生呢? |
[17:21] | He won’t decide ’til he hears which way his Mystic Rose will jump. | 取决于他那朵"神秘玫瑰" |
[17:24] | Well, surely she won’t come, now you’ve uninvited her daughter. | 你不邀她女儿,她自然不会来 |
[17:27] | It’s too late, anyway. The ball is tomorrow. | 反正也来不及了 舞会就是明天 |
[17:29] | We’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[17:31] | In the morning, I’ll leave after breakfast | 我明天吃完早饭就出门 |
[17:33] | and I may have luncheon with Aurora. | 大概会跟奥萝拉吃午饭 |
[17:34] | So don’t panic if I’m not home by the evening. | 若傍晚还没回来,请别担心 |
[17:37] | – Where are you going? – Just paying a few calls. | -你要去哪里? -去看几个朋友 |
[17:39] | And who expects a call right after breakfast? | 哪有人早餐后就见客? |
[17:41] | Marian always has such a full dance card. | 玛丽安认识的人很多 |
[17:44] | Remember how worried we were about whether she would find enough to do | 还记得她刚来纽约 我们担心她没事做吗? |
[17:48] | when she came to the city? | |
[17:50] | How silly that seems now. | 可见当时多虑了 |
[17:53] | Ada tells me Miss Scott has been here. | 艾达说史考特小姐来过 |
[17:55] | She came for her things. | 她来拿个人物品 |
[17:57] | I assume she’s not coming back? | 所以她不会回来罗? |
[17:59] | I don’t think so, no, but she sends you both every good wish. | 是不会了,她要我代为问候 |
[18:02] | That’s something, I suppose. | 她真是有心 |
[18:04] | You’re sorry she’s gone, Mama. Why don’t you admit it? | 她离开了你很难过 您就承认吧 |
[18:08] | My secretary has handed in her notice. | 我的秘书辞职了,我能说什么 |
[18:10] | What more is there to say? | |
[18:11] | That you’re sad about it. | 说你很难过 |
[18:14] | Very well. I’m sad. | 说就说 我很难过 |
[18:18] | She was a great help to me. | 她是我的得力助手 |
[18:19] | Now are you satisfied? | 满意了吗? |
[18:26] | Carrie? Caroline? | 凯莉? 凯莉琳? |
[18:31] | May I come in? | 我可以进来吗? |
[18:32] | Why do you bother to ask if you’re going to push in, anyway? | 都已经闯进来了何必多问 |
[18:37] | How long will you keep this up? | 你到底还要闹多久? |
[18:39] | I could ask you the same question. | 我倒想反问你 |
[18:42] | Suppose I were to call on Mrs. Russell | 那不然我去罗素夫人家 |
[18:45] | and explain that I’m engaged tomorrow night. | 跟她说我明晚有事不能去 |
[18:50] | Are you? | 你真的有事? |
[18:51] | I can be, if necessary. | 这没什么难的 |
[18:53] | She won’t accept it. | 骗不了她的 |
[18:56] | The trouble is you assume she’s weaker than you. | 问题是你自以为比她强 |
[18:59] | She is weaker than I am, in this instance. | 这次她确实斗不赢我 |
[19:03] | We’ll see. | 等着瞧吧 |
[19:09] | Lovely moon | (意语)"美丽的月儿啊" |
[19:12] | You who shed silver | |
[19:17] | One these shores and on these flowers | (意语)"洒下银白月光" |
[19:24] | And breathe And breathe to the elements | (意语)"渗入风火水土" |
[19:32] | The language, the language of love | (意语)"倾诉爱的言语" |
[19:42] | And sighs… | (意语)"唯闻唧唧叹息" 还好我今晚来了 你唱歌一定也很好听 |
[19:46] | And sighs | |
[20:02] | Well, we’ve reached the day. | 就是今天了 |
[20:06] | If there are still no answers from “the great folk” | 若那些大人物迟迟未回复 |
[20:08] | you better think of some last-minute replacements | 最好想出应变之道 |
[20:10] | if we’re not to look absurd, waltzing round an empty ballroom. | 免得像傻子似的 在空荡荡的舞厅跳舞 |
[20:12] | Don’t worry. Aurora’s been busy. The ballroom won’t be empty. | 别担心,有奥萝拉大力奔走 舞厅不会空荡荡 |
[20:15] | But we’ll be without the great princes you were tilting at. | 但少了那些你朝思暮想的人 |
[20:18] | Don’t speak too soon. | 话别说得太早 |
[20:20] | I wish I knew the cards you think you have up your sleeve. | 真想知道你还藏有哪些招数 |
[20:23] | I’m taking a chance, George, I know that. | 我承认这是在碰运气 |
[20:26] | But whoever achieved great things without taking a chance? | 不敢碰运气哪成得了大事呢 |
[20:29] | True enough. | 说的也是 |
[20:33] | I’ll see you tonight. | 晚上见 |
[20:40] | Are you off, dear? | 你要走了吗? |
[20:42] | Yes. | 对 |
[20:45] | – Would you like me to post those? – No. | -要我帮你寄信吗? -不用了 |
[20:48] | They’re just something for Larry Russell. | 是给赖瑞罗素的,我拿过去就好 |
[20:49] | I’ll drop them off. | |
[20:52] | Won’t you need your bag? | 不用带行李吗? |
[21:02] | It’s at Mrs. Chamberlain’s. | 已送去钱柏林夫人家了 |
[21:05] | Of course. | 我想也是 |
[21:07] | I saw Miss Scott go off with it. | 我看见史考特小姐带走了 |
[21:13] | You know that to accept help from Mrs. Chamberlain with this | 让钱柏林夫人帮你做这种事 |
[21:16] | is something that Agnes, or anyone | 不管是爱格或其他人 |
[21:20] | would find very hard to forgive? | 都不会轻易原谅你 |
[21:22] | I must take my chances. | 我必须放手一搏 |
[21:28] | Oh, my darling girl. | 我亲爱的侄女 |
[21:34] | Goodbye… | 再见了 |
[21:39] | and good luck. | 祝你顺利 |
[21:40] | I’ll write to you. Everything will be above board, I swear. | 我会写信给您们,保证据实以告 |
[21:43] | Miss Ada, Mrs. van Rhijn is asking for you. | 艾达小姐,夫人在找您 |
[21:46] | I’ll come right up. | 我马上去 |
[21:50] | Would you like a cab, Miss Marian? | 要替小姐叫车吗? |
[21:52] | Yes, but I’m just running across the street. | 要,我先到对面一趟 |
[22:06] | – Miss Brook? – Mr. Russell. | -布鲁克小姐 -罗素先生好 |
[22:08] | Larry. | 赖瑞‥ |
[22:10] | I mustn’t hold you up but I have a favor to ask. | 抱歉打扰,我有事相求 |
[22:13] | Would you bring these across the street before seven this evening? | 能否在今晚七点前 把这信交给我姑妈? 没问题 |
[22:15] | – Could you manage that? – Certainly. | |
[22:18] | I know you’ve got your ball tonight. | 我知道贵府今晚举行舞会 见你神色匆忙 希望不是陷入绝境才好 |
[22:20] | I just hope it doesn’t betoken some desperate action on your part. | |
[22:24] | Some action yes, but not desperate. | 确有要事,但非身陷绝境 |
[22:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[22:36] | You left this. | 您的手提包 |
[22:37] | Thank you, John. Please tell the others downstairs… | 谢谢你,约翰 麻烦告诉楼下的各位‥ |
[22:42] | Yes, miss? | 要说什么? |
[22:44] | How much I value them. | 说我很珍惜大家 |
[22:57] | I wonder what Miss Brook is up to. | 布鲁克小姐似乎有什么计划 |
[23:00] | She is quite convincing when she makes a decision. | 她一旦下定决心便能使人诚服 |
[23:04] | It was she who said I should tell you about my plans to be an architect. | 就是她鼓励我 向您坦承想当建筑师 |
[23:07] | Should I be glad of that? | 我该高兴吗? |
[23:09] | I think you will be, in the end. | 总有一天会的 我保证 |
[23:13] | This is a great city in a great country | 纽约是举世第一的伟大城市 |
[23:16] | at a great time in our history. | 现正值大好年代 |
[23:18] | I want to be part of it, Father. | 我也想有一番作为 |
[23:31] | They’ll need solvent to get the stain out of this. | 要去渍溶剂才洗得掉 |
[23:34] | And I’ll get them to press it. | 我会交代要熨烫 |
[23:35] | Mr. Scott left this in his pocket, ma’am. | 这是老爷忘在口袋里的 |
[23:38] | Typical man, not to check. | 男人就是这么粗心 |
[24:25] | Thank you for having me here, Mrs. Chamberlain. | 谢谢您请我上座,夫人 |
[24:27] | I have broken rules I don’t agree with all my life. | 我这辈子都在打破不喜欢的成规 |
[24:31] | While we’re waiting for Mr. Raikes… | 趁瑞克斯先生还没来 |
[24:33] | What is it? | 这是什么? |
[24:34] | I’ve painted this for you | 我特地为您画的 |
[24:36] | as a way of saying thank you for all your help, but… | 以表达对您的谢意 -可是‥ -可是什么? |
[24:40] | But what? | |
[24:41] | I just realized it’s like asking for my work | 居然要把拙作 跟满屋的大师名画挂在一起 |
[24:44] | to be hung alongside all the Old Masters. | |
[24:47] | I assure you I will value it highly, my dear. | 我保证会好好珍惜的 |
[24:54] | For many reasons. | 原因太多了 |
[24:58] | Good day, Mrs. Fane. Please come in. | 芬恩夫人,请进 |
[25:01] | Thank you, Bannister. Is Miss Marian at home? | 谢谢,玛丽安小姐在家吗? |
[25:04] | I’m afraid she’s out, madam. | 她外出了 |
[25:05] | Aurora, is that you? | 奥萝拉,是你吗? |
[25:07] | I was looking for Marian. | 我来找玛丽安 |
[25:09] | Come inside, why don’t you? | 进来再说吧 |
[25:11] | – Will Marian be back soon? – No. I don’t believe so. | 玛丽安快回来了吗? 她没那么快回来 |
[25:14] | That’s a pity. | 太可惜了 |
[25:16] | Why? | 怎么了? |
[25:18] | What’s the matter? | 发生什么事? |
[25:20] | Something I saw at the Academy last night. | 我昨晚在歌剧院看到的 |
[25:22] | Marian should know about it. | 该让玛丽安知道 |
[25:24] | Are you going to tell me what it is? | 可以告诉我是什么事吗? |
[25:27] | It won’t bother you, since you don’t care for Mr. Raikes. | 倒也无妨 反正您不喜欢瑞克斯先生 |
[25:31] | He was there in the Drexels’ box, which is next to ours, and… | 他在德瑞索家包厢 我就在隔壁 然后他在聊天‥ |
[25:36] | he was talking | |
[25:37] | well, he was more than talking to Miss Bingham. | 而且跟宾翰小姐举止亲昵 |
[25:40] | Do you know who I mean? Cissie Bingham? | 知道我在说谁吗,希西宾翰? |
[25:42] | I don’t think so. | 我不认识她 |
[25:43] | She’s a niece of Henry Flagler. | 亨利弗拉格勒的外甥女 |
[25:45] | – She’s very rich. – And? | 很有钱 然后呢? |
[25:48] | At one point he leaned over and whispered in her ear. | 然后他靠过去,在她耳边说话 |
[25:52] | Well, she was transported. | 她简直欣喜若狂 |
[25:54] | And every minute after that, she clung to his arm. | 后来她就一直勾着他手臂 |
[25:58] | I see. | 原来如此 |
[26:00] | Maybe I’m making too much of it. | 也许是我多心了 |
[26:03] | You’re right. Marian should know. | 你说的对 玛丽安应该知道 |
[26:06] | Will you tell her tonight? | 请您今晚转告她? |
[26:08] | She needs to know sooner than that. | 到时就太晚了 |
[26:11] | But where is she? | 她人呢? |
[26:12] | She’s… | 她在‥ |
[26:16] | she’s at the house of Mrs. Chamberlain. | 在钱柏林夫人家 |
[26:19] | What? Has she told Aunt Agnes? | 什么? -她跟爱格伯母说了吗? -没有 你也不许说 |
[26:22] | No. And you won’t either. | |
[26:24] | Now, go to Mrs. Chamberlain’s at once! | 现在立刻去钱柏林夫人家 |
[26:28] | – Fast as you can! – Why? | -尽快赶去 -为什么? |
[26:29] | Just do it. | 快去就是了 |
[26:31] | Marian will explain if she wants to. | 玛丽安想说的话自然会解释 |
[26:38] | Mr. Cuyper, Mr. Russell. | 凯普先生,罗素先生 |
[26:40] | It’s kind of you to see me. | 感谢接见 |
[26:41] | Not at all. | 不敢当 |
[26:43] | So, shall we get straight to the point? | 我们直接说重点 |
[26:45] | – We’re good for the loan? – Yes. | 借款没问题吧? 对 |
[26:48] | You may have overextended yourselves a little | 你们或许超支了一些 |
[26:50] | but there is nothing fundamentally wrong with Kneynsberg and Cuyper. | 但贵银行基本上没太大问题 |
[26:53] | So I’ll have the papers drawn up for signature. | 我会准备签约事宜 |
[26:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[26:57] | Now, I shan’t take up any more of your valuable time. | 那就不打扰您的宝贵时间 |
[27:00] | There is one more thing. | 还有一件事 |
[27:03] | An invitation to a ball my wife is giving this evening. | 这是我妻子的舞会邀请卡 |
[27:05] | For you and Mrs. Cuyper. | 欢迎贤伉俪光临 |
[27:07] | I look forward to seeing you there. | 我们今晚见 |
[27:09] | Alas, with no warning | 真不凑巧 恐怕我们临时抽不出空 |
[27:10] | I’m not sure our diaries will allow it. | |
[27:14] | I’ve not made myself clear. | 我可能没说清楚 |
[27:16] | I will see you there if you want the loan. | 你想借钱,今晚就得出席 |
[27:20] | You can’t be serious. | 你开玩笑的吧 |
[27:21] | Don’t think you can go elsewhere. | 你会借贷无门 |
[27:23] | I have a list of reasons why not to invest in your bank | 我能列举一堆 不该借钱给你的理由 |
[27:26] | and I will send it to anyone you approach. | 也会弄得人尽皆知 |
[27:28] | Isn’t that against the law? | 这样做不违法吗? |
[27:29] | Let’s find out. | 可以走着瞧 |
[27:31] | You are not a gentleman, sir. | 你的手段太卑鄙了 |
[27:35] | That’s a subject for another time. | 此刻这不是重点 |
[27:37] | Very well. I will attend. | 我出席就是了 |
[27:39] | But I cannot promise that my wife will. | 但不保证我妻子也会去 |
[27:41] | The loan hinges on her presence. | 想借钱她就得出席 |
[27:44] | But suppose she is engaged tonight? | 万一她今晚有事呢? |
[27:47] | I’m sure, when you explain the situation | 只要你好好向她解释 |
[27:50] | she will find that she can join us, after all. | 她今晚一定有空 |
[28:04] | I am Mrs. Astor. | 我是阿斯特夫人 |
[28:06] | Perhaps you can ask Mrs. Russell | 请帮我问罗素夫人是否有空见我 |
[28:09] | if she could see me for a minute. | |
[28:11] | I’m afraid I’m unexpected. | 抱歉我临时造访 |
[28:17] | If you’d be so kind. | 麻烦你了 |
[28:18] | Yes, ma’am. Of course, ma’am. | 是,夫人,我这就去通报 |
[28:26] | – Mrs. Astor is in the hall. – What? | 阿斯特夫人来访 |
[28:30] | She wonders if you have time to see her. | -什么? -她问您是否有空见她 |
[28:52] | I hope this isn’t a bad moment. | 希望没打扰到你 |
[28:54] | Not at all. Won’t you sit down? | 不会的,请坐 |
[28:58] | I gather my daughter Caroline | 听说你不让我女儿在舞会上表演 |
[28:59] | will not now dance at your ball tonight. | |
[29:02] | Indeed, she is no longer invited. | 甚至不邀请她来舞会 |
[29:04] | Is that correct? | 是真的吗? |
[29:06] | It is. | 没错 |
[29:07] | Mrs. Russell, I’m afraid there’s been a misunderstanding. | 罗素夫人,你我似乎有点误会 |
[29:11] | When you were good enough to pay a call on me | 你那天来我家的时候 |
[29:14] | I had promised myself to a friend | 不巧有位朋友急着找我单独谈谈 |
[29:15] | who urgently wished to speak to me alone. | |
[29:18] | There is no reason here for us to fall out. | 我们没必要为此伤了和气 |
[29:21] | Forgive me, but if that were the case | 若真如此,您也该另找一天来访 |
[29:23] | you could have called on me another day. | |
[29:25] | Or written a note to explain why I was turned away | 或来信解释为何不肯见我 |
[29:28] | while others were admitted. | 却让其他人进门 |
[29:29] | Not “others.” | 不是其他人 |
[29:31] | Another was admitted. | 只有一位朋友 |
[29:38] | Well, I have paid a call now. | 我现在不就来了 |
[29:40] | You have dropped by | 你打算待一下就走 |
[29:41] | at a time when no one else was likely to be here. | 还特地挑没人会在的时间 |
[29:45] | Won’t you consider letting Carrie be included in the fun, after all? | 请考虑让凯莉今晚去舞会玩吧 |
[29:51] | Would you come with her? | 你会一起来吗? |
[29:53] | It is such a difficult time of year for me… | 我最近实在太忙了 |
[29:55] | If you wish me to bring your very charming daughter back into the fold | 若想让令嫒回到舞会上表演 |
[29:58] | then you must accompany her. | 你就得一起来 |
[30:00] | My being here now is not enough? | 我专程来访还不够吗? |
[30:02] | People know of the snub. | 人人皆知我吃了闭门羹 要我不计较可以 你今晚来舞会,并让大家知道 |
[30:04] | So, to undo the hurt, you must attend the ball tonight | |
[30:06] | and you must let people know you will be here. | |
[30:08] | You will need to move quickly. | 动作得快点罗 |
[30:10] | I don’t have time to do that. | 我恐怕没时间 |
[30:12] | Oh, I think you do. | 你会有时间的 |
[30:13] | And I have one more request. | 我还有一个要求 |
[30:15] | I want you to ensure that my neighbors | 务必让我邻居 凡瑞恩夫人姐妹出席 |
[30:16] | Mrs. van Rhijn and her sister, will attend. | |
[30:18] | Why bother with them? | 何必在乎她们? |
[30:19] | I’m tired of being cut on my own doorstep. | 我厌倦了被自己邻居排挤 |
[30:22] | Make them come. | 叫她们一定要来 |
[30:24] | I don’t see how. | 我做不到 |
[30:26] | Then you will have to explain it to Carrie. | 那你就得跟凯莉解释了 |
[30:28] | I like her very much, by the way. I’m sorry she won’t be here. | 我很喜欢她,真可惜她不能来 |
[30:33] | Well… | 好吧 |
[30:35] | at least we know where we stand. | 至少我们都表明立场了 |
[30:41] | Nothing would give me more pleasure than for you to change your mind. | 我会很乐意看到您回心转意 |
[30:45] | But you will not change yours? | 你不打算改变态度? |
[30:48] | No. | 绝不改变 |
[30:51] | Mrs. Astor is leaving. | 送客 |
[31:08] | Your carriage is ready, ma’am. | 夫人的马车来了 |
[31:19] | Well, Mrs. Bruce, what does that mean for the mistress? | 布鲁斯太太 这表示夫人赢了吗? |
[31:21] | Time will tell, Mr. Watson. | 华生先生,还言之过早 |
[31:24] | Time will tell. | 静待下回分晓 |
[31:27] | I don’t believe you. | 我不信 |
[31:28] | What do you mean? | 难道我会骗你? |
[31:30] | Well, of course I believe you. | 我不是说你骗人 实际情况也许不是这样 |
[31:31] | I just don’t think it can have been quite how it looked. | |
[31:33] | Then where is he? | 那他人呢,什么时候来? -早就该到了 -也许他‥ |
[31:35] | – When was he expected? – Hours ago. | |
[31:37] | But it may… | |
[31:39] | it may have been difficult for him to get away. | 也许他一时走不开 |
[31:41] | Wouldn’t he have sent someone with a message? | 不也该派人传信来吗? |
[31:43] | Maybe he’s been hurt. | 搞不好他受伤了 |
[31:45] | Unless he’s been killed, he could have sent a warning. | 除非是死了,否则总能送个音讯 |
[31:49] | All right. Well, I’ll go to his office | 好,那我去他办公室看看 他会在办公室吗? |
[31:51] | – to see if something’s happened. – Will he be at his office? | |
[31:53] | Take the carriage and start with his office. | 坐我的马车去他办公室找 |
[31:56] | Maybe someone there will know where he might be found. | 那里的人也许知道他的下落 |
[31:58] | But suppose he’s on his way here? | 万一他正赶过来呢? |
[31:59] | I’ll look after him until your return. | 那我就让他在这里等你 |
[32:02] | Do you want me to come with you? | 要我陪你吗? |
[32:03] | I’ve already wasted quite enough of your time as it is. | 我已经耽搁你太久时间了 |
[32:06] | I’ll go. That was the original plan. | 我去吧,我本来就是来陪她的 |
[32:17] | Is there anything more I can do? | 我还能帮上什么忙吗? |
[32:19] | No, but thank you for receiving me | 没有了 谢谢你的款待 |
[32:24] | and thank you for your kindness to my cousin. | 也谢谢你善待我表妹 |
[32:32] | May I ask you to keep silent about the whole affair? | 能否请您别张扬此事 |
[32:36] | – Marian’s reputation… – Is safe with me. Don’t worry. | -事关玛丽安的名誉 -绝不会,不必担心 |
[32:47] | But if I don’t maintain standards | 要是我守不住成规 |
[32:49] | – what is the point of me? – Of course. | 岂不有损威严? 说的是 |
[32:52] | But what we need to determine now | 但我们也得知道 |
[32:54] | is whether Mrs. Russell will support those standards or undermine them. | 罗素夫人是会坚守这些成规 还是会加以破坏 |
[32:59] | How can you ask? | 这种事要从何得知? |
[33:01] | You know I follow your lead to a slavish degree. | 您知道我向来服从您的领导 |
[33:04] | But you want to go to the ball. | 但你想去她的舞会 |
[33:07] | We cannot hope to keep out the new people entirely | 不能把所有新来者排拒在外 |
[33:11] | or they’d form their own society that would exclude us. | 否则他们自成一群 反把我们剔除在外 |
[33:14] | – You know this. – Yes. | 您也知道的 我知道 |
[33:17] | And if it looks as if her children | 万一让她子女攀龙附凤‥ |
[33:19] | might make decent marriages, then I… | |
[33:21] | They’ll make decent marriages without our help. | 他们靠自己就能觅得好对象 |
[33:24] | They’re good-looking and they smell of money. | 他们外表出众,又散发富贵气息 |
[33:26] | The sweetest scent I know. | 那可是最棒的香味 |
[33:28] | If I were you, I’d bring them in now, and gain the credit. | 要我是你,便立刻拉拢他们 日后还能邀功 |
[33:32] | But it’s tonight. | 但舞会就是今晚了 |
[33:34] | Send a note to her this minute. | 马上通知她你会到场 |
[33:36] | And another to Agnes van Rhijn. | 再传信给爱格凡瑞恩 |
[33:39] | Then write to anyone else you can think of. | 以及所有你能想到的人 |
[33:41] | You mean you don’t think that I can beat Mrs. Russell at my own game? | 你是说我在自己的圈子里 居然会玩输她? |
[33:46] | My dear Mystic Rose | 亲爱的神秘玫瑰 |
[33:49] | I fear, if you try | 我是怕你跟她斗 |
[33:51] | it might be at the cost of your own dignity. | 会有损你的尊严 |
[33:55] | Which translated means | 讲白一点就是 |
[33:58] | you want to go to her ball. | 你想去她的舞会 |
[34:04] | This can’t be right. | 这怎么可能? |
[34:06] | What’s that? | 怎么了? |
[34:07] | She’s taken leave of her senses. | 想必她是疯了 |
[34:09] | – Who? – Lina Astor. | 谁疯了? 丽娜阿斯特,你听 "若你还是我朋友的话" |
[34:12] | Listen. “If you consider yourselves to be my friends | |
[34:15] | you will attend Mrs. Russell’s ball this evening.” | "请出席罗素夫人今晚的舞会" |
[34:18] | – Really? – Don’t you dare sound cheerful. | -真的吗? -谁准你这么高兴 |
[34:21] | I am curious about that house. | -我对她家很好奇啊 -真是的 有人命令你下地狱和魔鬼跳舞 你还那么高兴? |
[34:23] | Really? You are glad to be ordered to march into hell | |
[34:26] | and to dance with the devil? | |
[34:28] | I wonder sometimes if you don’t slightly overstate your arguments. | 我有时在想 你会不会说话太夸张 |
[34:32] | We cannot be forced to dance. | 没人能逼我们跳舞 |
[34:35] | So, are we to quarrel with Mrs. Astor… | 我们是要得罪阿斯特夫人 |
[34:37] | – or Mrs. Russell? – Well… | -还是罗素夫人? -这‥ |
[34:39] | I do not wish to quarrel with Mrs. Astor | 我不想跟阿斯特夫人闹翻 |
[34:41] | so we will obey her now… | 这次先依着她 |
[34:43] | but reserve the right to quarrel with Mrs. Russell later. | 以后找机会再跟罗素夫人吵 |
[34:55] | I’ve been trying to compose a letter. | 我在构思如何写信给你 |
[34:58] | Well, now you won’t have to. | 这下不必写了 |
[35:02] | I assume we’re not getting married today? | 所以我们今天不结婚罗? |
[35:04] | – Marian… – Just tell me. | -玛丽安‥ -你老实说 |
[35:08] | Was it all pretend? | 你一直都在演戏吗? |
[35:09] | No. | 不是的 |
[35:11] | Of course not. I love you very much. | 当然不是,我对你是真心的 |
[35:13] | But as New York smiled on you | 但抗拒不了纽约的魅力 |
[35:15] | you came to see that there were others | 而且发现有人能比我给你更多 |
[35:16] | who could offer you so much more than I could. | |
[35:18] | – The truth is… – I’ll tell you what the truth is. | -其实我‥ -我来说就好 |
[35:20] | The more you pushed for our elopement | 你越是急着要私奔 |
[35:21] | the more you felt your desire for it slipping away. | 就越发现自己不想这么做 |
[35:25] | I suppose I thought that if I could only make it happen | 我以为只要跟你定下来 |
[35:27] | then things would come right. | 就不会眷恋这一切 |
[35:30] | But I began to suspect that if we did marry | 但想到我俩一旦结婚 |
[35:32] | we would have no armory for the battle that lay ahead. | 会没资源在社交圈奋战 |
[35:34] | We’d have no money, you mean. | 你是说我们没钱吧 |
[35:37] | We know New York now, you and I. | 你我都见识过纽约 |
[35:40] | There’s a life to be lived here, and a good life | 在这里可以过着上好的生活 |
[35:44] | but two penniless strangers from out of town | 两个没钱的异乡人 是没办法过那种生活 |
[35:45] | could not have hoped to live it. | |
[35:47] | But Miss Bingham can make sure of that life for you. | 宾翰小姐就能让你过好日子 |
[35:51] | Well, why not? | 当然是了 |
[35:53] | She won’t suit the old crowd | 就算老贵族不接纳她 也能在新贵圈站稳地位 |
[35:54] | but she’ll do well enough with the new | |
[35:56] | and her fortune is more than ample for both of you. | 她的钱也多到你俩花不完 |
[35:59] | I don’t admire myself for it. | 我也感到惭愧 |
[36:04] | On that note, I’ll say goodbye. | 你都这么说了,那就分手吧 |
[36:13] | Can we at least part as friends? | 我们能至少当朋友吗? |
[36:17] | Not quite. | 我没办法 |
[36:21] | But not as enemies, either. | 但也不至反目成仇 |
[36:24] | I don’t like bitterness. | 我不想怀恨在心 |
[36:27] | You’re a marvelous person, Marian. | 你真是个了不起的人 |
[36:31] | Do you know that? | 我说真的 |
[36:32] | I shall take it as my consolation prize. | 我就把这句当成最后的安慰 |
[36:49] | Come away… | 我们走吧‥ |
[36:53] | Your bag is in the carriage | 你的行李在车里 不必回钱柏林夫人家 |
[36:54] | there’s no need to go back to Mrs. Chamberlain’s. | |
[36:56] | Go home and I’ll return to Brooklyn. | 你直接回家 我自己回布鲁克林 |
[37:01] | The letters! | 那两封信 |
[37:02] | I must stop Larry from delivering the letters! | 不能让赖瑞拿信给姑妈 |
[37:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[37:09] | Of course. | 应该的 |
[37:19] | Hefty said you wanted me. | 海夫堤说您找我 |
[37:22] | Only to witness my defeat. | 是想告诉你我认输 |
[37:24] | You have won. | 你赢了 |
[37:26] | Adelheid said you were looking for me. | 雅德海说您找我 |
[37:28] | Only to tell you that Carrie Astor is coming tonight, after all. | 是想告诉你凯莉阿斯特今晚会来 |
[37:31] | So you will perform the dance as it was rehearsed. | 你们可以照计划表演了 |
[37:34] | Send messages now to your friends that I will be there tonight | 传讯给你朋友说我今晚会出席 |
[37:37] | starting with the parents of the other dancers. | 先从那些表演方舞的父母开始 |
[37:39] | You won’t regret it. | 您不会后悔的 |
[37:41] | I regret it already. | 我已经后悔了 |
[37:43] | Oh, Mother. | 谢谢母亲 |
[37:45] | But what am I to do? | 我还能怎么办呢 |
[37:47] | I’m alone since your father’s never here. | 你父亲不在家我已经够孤单 |
[37:52] | How can I manage without my darling daughter? | 无法承受再与宝贝女儿失和 |
[38:05] | Bannister, there’s a bag of clothes in the carriage. | 班尼斯特 车里那袋衣物是要整理来捐赠的 |
[38:08] | I need to sort them for the missionary barrel. | |
[38:09] | Will you ask John to take them up to my room? | 请约翰拿到我房间 |
[38:11] | Of course, Miss Marian. | 是,小姐 |
[38:12] | And when Mr. Russell arrives | 罗素先生来了 请他等一下,先来找我 |
[38:13] | please ask him to wait, and come and fetch me. | |
[38:15] | – He’s already here. – What? | -他已经到了 -什么? |
[38:17] | I’ve just shown him into the drawing room. | 我才领他到客厅去 |
[38:22] | – Am I too late? – Heavens. Is there a fire? | -我太晚了吗? -急什么,是失火了吗? |
[38:24] | Marian! You’re back! | 玛丽安,你回来了 |
[38:26] | Too late for what? Why shouldn’t she be back? | 什么太晚? 她当然会回来 |
[38:28] | – What’s going on? – How was your day? | 怎么回事? 今天过得好吗? |
[38:30] | Not all it could have been. | 不怎么顺利 |
[38:32] | Mr. Russell, how kind of you to come by. | 罗素先生,谢谢你来访 |
[38:35] | You were saying you were here on a mission, Mr. Russell. | 你刚才说是受人之托 |
[38:38] | Does it concern those envelopes? | 是来传信的吗? |
[38:40] | – No. – What? | -不是 -什么? |
[38:41] | I’m sure Mr. Russell went out to catch the evening post | 罗素先生正要去寄信 顺道来看看您们 |
[38:44] | and thought he’d look in to see how you are. | |
[38:47] | Isn’t that so, Mr. Russell? | 对吧,罗素先生? |
[38:49] | Absolutely. | 正是这么回事 |
[38:51] | But now it’s clear you’re both as well as I could hope | 看到二位气色都这么好 |
[38:55] | – so I’ll be on my way. – To the mailbox. | 我就告辞了 别忘了寄信 |
[38:57] | Isn’t that nice? | 谢谢您提醒 |
[38:59] | I’ll see you out. | 我送你 |
[39:03] | I feel as if I have been watching a play in a foreign language. | 我看不懂他们在演哪出 |
[39:08] | They’re young. | 年轻人嘛 |
[39:10] | Is that an observation or an excuse? | 这是事实还是借口? |
[39:13] | Both. | 都是 |
[39:14] | Are you gonna tell me what that was about? | 要告诉我是怎么回事吗? |
[39:17] | Someday, maybe. | 或许改天吧 |
[39:20] | – But thank you. I am so grateful. – Of course. | 但是要谢谢你 -你帮了个大忙 -别客气 |
[39:28] | Are you coming to Gladys’s ball? | 你要来葛莱蒂的舞会吗? |
[39:30] | I may regret it but I suppose I am. | 也许会后悔,但我要去 |
[39:33] | Then I claim a waltz as my payment. | 那么你欠我一支舞 |
[39:51] | When was it written? | 是何时写的? |
[39:52] | Three weeks ago. | 三周前 |
[39:54] | Is there an address? | -有地址吗? -没有 只有日期和寄件人"韦德太太" 是费城的邮戳,你自己看 |
[39:56] | No. Just the date and a name, “Mrs. Wade.” | |
[40:00] | The… postmark’s from Philadelphia. See for yourself. | |
[40:07] | “The boy is doing well.” | "孩子过得很好" |
[40:14] | And we are to assume this boy is my son? | 她说的孩子是我儿子吗? |
[40:18] | Why else would your father have made inquiries? | 否则你父亲何必问对方 |
[40:21] | Did you know? | -您知道这件事吗? -不知道 |
[40:22] | I did not. | |
[40:24] | I accepted what I was told when he brought you home. | 我信了他当时的说词 |
[40:28] | He stole my child. | 他偷走我的孩子 |
[40:30] | And all the time he was working | 居然还若无其事地工作 跟我们一起吃饭 |
[40:32] | and sitting down to dinner with us | |
[40:34] | and living a lie. | 他骗了我们 |
[40:36] | He wasn’t in his right mind. | 他只是一时失去理智 |
[40:38] | Please don’t make excuses for him. | 别帮他找借口了 |
[40:40] | I’m not, but… | 我没有 |
[40:42] | I don’t know what good can come of this. | 我不知道能怎么解决 |
[40:45] | We… won’t find the boy and Arthur won’t help us… | 找不到孩子,亚瑟不会帮我们的 |
[40:48] | Us? | "我们"? |
[40:51] | Have you come over to my side? | 您决定站我这边了吗? |
[40:53] | I’ve always been on your side. | 我一直都站在你这边 |
[40:57] | My baby is alive, Mama. | 妈,我的孩子还活着 |
[41:00] | My baby is alive and I want him back. | 他还活着,我要他回我身边 求老天帮帮我们 |
[41:11] | Oh, God help us. | |
[41:31] | Perfect timing. | 你真准时 |
[41:36] | Let the tournament begin. | 舞会开始吧 等我令下再开门 |
[42:01] | T. J. Oakley Rhinelander. | |
[42:05] | Mr. and Mrs. Winthrop Chandler. | 温洛普钱德勒伉俪到 |
[42:10] | The Drexels. | 德瑞索夫妇来了 |
[42:11] | Mr. and Mrs. Anthony Drexel. | 安东尼德瑞索伉俪到 |
[42:23] | I’m afraid there’s trouble in the kitchens with Monsieur Charron. | 夏隆大厨出了一点状况 |
[42:27] | – Can you sort it out? – Of course. | -设法解决 -遵命 |
[42:35] | Mr. and Mrs. Robert McNeil. | 罗伯麦克尼尔伉俪到 |
[42:43] | Mr. McNeil. Mrs. McNeil. How wonderful to see you. | 二位好,欢迎你们 |
[42:46] | – Thank you for your invitation. – The pleasure is ours. | 谢谢您的邀请 |
[42:48] | Mr. Russell, I believe you’ve met Mr. McNeil. | 你认识麦克尼尔先生 这位是他的夫人 |
[42:50] | May I present his lovely wife? | |
[42:52] | Mr. and Mrs. Ogden Mills. | 奥顿米尔斯伉俪到 |
[42:56] | The quail, the turtledove | (法语)"鹌鹑,斑鸠 和可爱的鹧鸪‥" |
[42:58] | And the pretty partridge | |
[43:00] | The quail, the turtledove | |
[43:02] | And the pretty partridge | |
[43:05] | How long has he been like this? | -他这样多久了? -越来越严重了 |
[43:06] | It’s been coming on, Mr. Church. | |
[43:08] | How much of the supper is ready? | 晚餐做好了多少? |
[43:09] | They’ve got the cold, but they’ve still to cook the hot. | 冷盘好了,热食还没开始煮 |
[43:11] | Monsieur Charron did not want the food kept warm for too long. | 大厨原打算晚点做,以免菜凉掉 |
[43:15] | Monsieur Charron? | 夏隆大厨 |
[43:18] | Can you hear me? | 听得见我吗? |
[43:22] | How much time do we have before the supper is served? | 离开饭还有多久? |
[43:24] | Three to four hours. | 三到四小时 |
[43:29] | You. Take this note to the address I’ve written there. | 你把字条送到上面的地址 |
[43:32] | – Yes, sir. – You, and you two | 你们几个把夏隆大厨抬上床 |
[43:33] | put Monsieur Charron to bed. | |
[43:36] | Oh, no. | |
[43:41] | Are we really determined on this? | 我们真的得去吗? |
[43:44] | Marian looks so beautiful. | 玛丽安打扮得这么美 |
[43:46] | It would be a shame not to show her off. | 不去舞会露脸太可惜了 |
[43:49] | How are you feeling, my dear? | 你还好吗,亲爱的? |
[43:52] | Just dandy. | 我很好 |
[43:53] | How can she have got round Lina? | 她是怎么说动丽娜的啊 |
[43:56] | I never believed in black magic but I’m having my doubts. | 我原不相信法术 现在开始动摇了 |
[43:59] | Did Mrs. Astor explain why she wanted you to come? | 阿斯特夫人没说明原因吗? |
[44:02] | She didn’t explain it, she ordered it. As simple as that. | 她没说明,直接用命令语气 |
[44:05] | I suppose you don’t have to go just because she said so. | 那您也没必要听从她的命令吧 |
[44:09] | Never overestimate your own power, my dear. | 千万别高估自己 |
[44:12] | It’s always a mistake. | 往往会出错 |
[44:19] | So Mrs. Russell won the battle after all. | 最后还是罗素夫人赢了 |
[44:22] | I’m not so sure it’s over yet. | 我看还有得斗呢 |
[44:24] | You wish you’d been invited? | 你也想受邀吗? |
[44:26] | I suppose. | 想啊 |
[44:28] | What about you? | 你呢? |
[44:30] | Maybe we will be, one day. | 我们有天也许真能去 |
[44:33] | After all, this is America. | 毕竟这里是美国 |
[44:41] | Mr. and Mrs. Charles Fane. | 查尔斯芬恩伉俪到 |
[44:45] | – They’ve opened the house. – Mr. Russell. | |
[44:49] | Mr. and Mrs. Julius Cuyper. | 朱利斯凯普伉俪到 |
[44:54] | How did you manage that? | 你怎么办到的? |
[44:56] | I just asked them nicely. | 我好声好气地请他来 |
[44:58] | – Good evening. | – Good evening. -晚上好 -二位好 |
[45:00] | I’m so glad you could join us. | 真高兴你们来了 |
[45:02] | We found our diaries would allow it. | 后来发现我们今晚有空 |
[45:05] | Thank you for coming. | 谢谢大驾光临 |
[45:09] | Mrs. Arnold van Rhijn, Miss Brook, and Miss Marian Brook. | 凡瑞恩夫人暨艾达 与玛丽安布鲁克小姐到 |
[45:13] | Aunt Agnes? Aunt Ada? What are you doing here? | 两位伯母,您们怎么来了? |
[45:16] | You may well ask. | 就知道你会问 |
[45:18] | Lina Astor wrote, saying it was a test of friendship. | 阿斯特夫人写信说是朋友就得来 |
[45:21] | But now that we’re here, there are so many familiar faces. | 来了才发现有好多熟面孔 |
[45:24] | No doubt they’ve all had their hands held in the flame. | 可想而知大家都是被逼来的 |
[45:27] | Mama… | 妈妈 |
[45:29] | you are the last woman on earth I thought I’d see tonight. | 我作梦也没想到您会来 |
[45:32] | And you are the last man on earth I’d allow to criticize me. | 全世界就你不能批评我 |
[45:35] | Mrs. Cavendish Bentinck. | |
[45:38] | People are going through to the ballroom. | 宾客都在宴会厅 |
[45:40] | They won’t start dancing until I say. | 等我说可以才能开舞 |
[45:42] | What are you waiting for? | -在等什么? -威廉贝考斯阿斯特的夫人 携同凯莉琳阿斯特小姐 |
[45:43] | Mrs. William Backhouse Astor and Miss Caroline Astor. | |
[45:49] | That. | 等她们 |
[46:01] | Mrs. Astor. How good of you to come. | 阿斯特夫人,欢迎二位光临 |
[46:03] | How kind you are to receive me, Mrs. Russell. | 谢谢你的邀请,罗素夫人 |
[46:06] | Mr. Ward McAllister. | 沃德麦卡里斯特先生到 |
[46:11] | Mrs. Astor, Mrs. Russell. | 阿斯特夫人,罗素夫人 |
[46:14] | Mr. McAllister. | 麦卡里斯特先生 |
[46:16] | Well, here we are… | 所有人都到齐了 |
[46:18] | all of us together. | 大家齐聚一堂,真是太好了 |
[46:20] | What could be nicer? | |
[46:21] | – Have a lovely time. – Thank you. | -玩得愉快点 -谢谢你 进去吧 |
[46:24] | Shall we? | |
[46:32] | – Are you nervous? – A little bit. | -你紧张吗? -有一点 跳得真好 |
[46:34] | Mrs. Mabel and Miss Alice van Rensselaer. | |
[47:00] | Oh, wonderful. | |
[47:31] | – How charming they look. – I think so. | -看他们多迷人啊 -可不是嘛 |
[47:35] | Didn’t it ever worry you that I might decide | 你难道不怕 今晚舞会过后我会毁了你? |
[47:37] | to destroy you after this evening? | |
[47:40] | Because I could, if I chose. | 我大可这么做的 |
[47:42] | I don’t doubt it, but you won’t. | 我知道,但你不会那么做 |
[47:46] | – Why not? – Because, we’re too alike. | -为什么不会? -因为我们俩太像了 |
[47:50] | – We’re what? – It’s true. | -你说什么? -是真的 |
[47:52] | And I will be a good friend to you, if you will let me. | 只要你愿意,我会是很好的朋友 |
[48:06] | That was nice of you. | 你真给面子 |
[48:08] | I’ve already said, if necessary, we can quarrel with her later. | 我说过了 以后找机会再跟她吵 |
[48:30] | Come and dance with me. | 跟我跳支舞吧 |
[48:31] | But I have to change my dress. | 我得先去换装 |
[48:33] | You can do that later. | 等一下再换 |
[48:34] | Dance with me and I’ll leave you alone for the rest of the evening. | 跳完这支 我保证整晚都不烦你 |
[48:38] | You’ll have to wait while I change. | 还是要先等我换装 |
[48:40] | I’m out now, Mr. van Rhijn. | 我现在已经面世 |
[48:42] | And I’ve had enough of being told what to do. | 不想再听人指使了 |
[49:36] | Henry Flagler and his party are here. | 亨利弗拉格勒和眷属来了 |
[49:38] | They must have arrived late. | 他们到得比较晚 |
[49:42] | I’m sorry I couldn’t stop it, Marian | 抱歉我挡不住他们 |
[49:45] | but I’m afraid Mr. Flagler trumps any sort of influence I have. | 弗拉格勒先生的势力比我大多了 |
[49:54] | Miss Brook, Mrs. Fane. | 布鲁克小姐,芬恩夫人 玛丽安小姐好 想也知道你会来 |
[49:57] | – Miss Marian. – I shouldn’t be surprised. | |
[50:00] | You’re quite the man about town these days. | 你近来跑遍全市大小宴会 |
[50:05] | Aurora… | 奥萝拉,罗素夫人在那里 |
[50:06] | I see Mrs. Russell. | |
[50:08] | Let’s pay our compliments to the hostess. | 我们去向女主人致意 |
[50:18] | I’m so sorry. | 真对不起 |
[50:20] | I didn’t think you’d be here. | 我不知道你会来 |
[50:22] | I assumed your aunt wouldn’t allow it. | 还以为你姑妈不会让你来 |
[50:24] | I wouldn’t have come if I’d known. | 知道的话我就不会来 |
[50:26] | Had you decided to break your word? | 你当时已决定食言了吗? |
[50:29] | Did you know when we met in the park? | 我们在公园讨论计划那时 你就已有这念头? |
[50:33] | No. | 不是的 |
[50:36] | And I meant it when I said I love you. | 我是真心爱过你 |
[50:39] | I believe you. | 我相信 |
[50:43] | But love is not always enough. | 但光是有爱还不够 |
[51:09] | Miss Brook? | 布鲁克小姐 |
[51:11] | You promised me a waltz. | 你还欠我一支舞 |
[51:15] | I saw you talking to Mr. Raikes. | 我看到你跟瑞克斯先生说话 没什么,他只是个旧识 |
[51:18] | Oh, yes. He’s just someone I used to know. | |
[51:22] | Let’s dance. | 我们去跳舞吧 |
[52:09] | Do you think Mrs. Astor will accept your hand of friendship? | 你想阿斯特夫人愿与你为友吗? |
[52:12] | No one would believe it, but who knows? | 尽管没人看好,但还很难说 |
[52:14] | Well, that’s all for tomorrow. | 那就等明天再说吧 |
[52:16] | Tonight, you’re the belle of the ball. | 今晚你是众所瞩目的焦点 |
[52:26] | She looks beautiful. | 她真美啊 |
[53:23] | You beat me to it. | 你比我早回来 |
[53:25] | Not by much. | 我也才刚到 |
[53:29] | You seemed to be making headway with Gladys. | 看来你与葛莱蒂进展神速 |
[53:34] | So did you. | 你还不是一样 |
[53:37] | Why are you scowling? | 这么爱生气 |
[53:39] | You’re so easy to tease. | 一逗你就气了 |
[53:45] | I think I can do it, John. | 我觉得很有胜算 |
[53:48] | I think I can reel her in. | 能把她追到手 |
[53:51] | And don’t worry. | 你放心 |
[53:54] | Nothing will change. | 你我之间不会变的 |
[54:04] | Dorothy? | 桃乐丝? |
[54:09] | There you are. | 原来你在家 |
[54:11] | Did you not hear me calling from downstairs? | 没听见我在楼下喊吗? |
[54:15] | We heard. | 听见了 |
[54:17] | Well, I’ve been traveling all night | 我搭了整夜车 至少该欢迎我一下吧 |
[54:18] | and I expect a warmer welcome than that. | |
[54:23] | Your mother’s cable said you were back | 你母亲拍电报说你回来了 |
[54:26] | but this looks like you’re leaving us again. | 看来你又要离家 |
[54:28] | We’re both leaving. | 我要跟她一起走 |
[54:30] | Where are you going? | 去哪里? |
[54:33] | This is my house and somebody had better answer me. | 我是一家之主,还不快点回话 |
[54:37] | – I come back and… – We know, Father. | -我刚进门‥ -我们知道了,父亲 |
[54:41] | Know what? | 知道什么? |
[54:46] | – You’ve no proof. – You don’t know what we have. | -你没有证据 -你不知我们握有什么 |
[54:49] | We have proof the boy didn’t die. | 我们知道那孩子没死 |
[54:51] | We believe he was adopted, and you knew. | 他送人收养,而且你知情 |
[54:54] | If you’re expecting me to say I’m sorry… | 别以为我会道歉 |
[54:56] | We’d never be so foolish as to expect that. | 我们没笨到以为你会道歉 |
[54:58] | Then what do you want from me? | 不然你们想怎样? |
[55:01] | We’re catching an early train to Philadelphia. | 我们要搭早班车到费城 |
[55:04] | We intend to find my son | 去那里找我儿子 |
[55:07] | and we’d like your assistance. | 希望您能帮忙 |
[55:09] | You won’t get it. | 休想我会帮忙 |
[55:11] | And you won’t find him. Leave him alone. | 你们找不到他的 别找他了 |
[55:14] | He’s happy now, and settled. I made sure of that. | 他过得很好,很快乐 我都安排好了 |
[55:18] | Do you think it wasn’t hard for me? | 你以为我就好过吗? |
[55:20] | – You should be ashamed of yourself. – Why? | 你该感到羞愧才对 为什么? |
[55:23] | Because I freed our daughter and our grandson | 我让女儿和孙子 远离一辈子的羞耻 |
[55:25] | from a life of shame? | |
[55:28] | Everything I’ve done was done for Peggy and the boy. | 我全是为了佩姬和那孩子着想 |
[55:31] | I don’t want to be free of my own child! | 我不想远离亲生骨肉 |
[55:33] | Then ruin yourself if you must! | 那么想毁了自己就去吧 |
[55:36] | But you’ll do it without any help from me. | 但休想我会出手帮你 |
[55:57] | Shall we say goodbye here? | 就此道别吧 |
[55:58] | I think I must be allowed to see you safely to your front door. | 我至少得看你安全进家门 |
[56:03] | Especially after tonight’s bruising. | 你才刚经历了创痛 |
[56:06] | – I shouldn’t have told you. – Of course you should. | 我不该告诉你的 没什么不好说的 |
[56:10] | How do you feel… about Mr. Raikes? | 你有什么感觉? 对瑞克斯先生 |
[56:15] | I’m not sure. | 我也不知道 |
[56:17] | Rather numb, really. | 感觉很麻木 |
[56:20] | Numb is good. | 那样很好 |
[56:22] | Just look after yourself when it wears off. | 等恢复知觉后小心点就是 |
[56:47] | You offered Borden his job back without speaking to me? | 没经过我允许 居然敢找波登回来? |
[56:50] | – Well, madam, I… – I told him to, my dear. | -回夫人‥ -我叫他这么做的 |
[56:52] | I am a man of simple principles. | 我做人有几个原则 |
[56:54] | I reward loyalty. I punish traitors. | 忠心者有赏,背叛者就该罚 |
[56:56] | Well, they’ll laugh when they know we have a chef from Kansas. | 雇用堪萨斯来的厨师会被人笑 |
[56:58] | Let them. | 随他们去笑 |
[57:00] | Church summoned him and he came to our rescue, at once. | 邱区一召唤 他就立刻来收拾残局 |
[57:06] | Thank you, Monsieur Bau… | 谢谢你,波丹‥ |
[57:09] | thank you, Borden | 是波登才对 |
[57:11] | for stepping in at the last minute and saving the show. | 多亏你临危受命,舞会才能成功 |
[57:14] | I was glad to do it. | 我很乐意帮忙 |
[57:17] | And… we hope you will stay on? | 还有‥ 我们希望你能留下来 |
[57:22] | But is Mrs. Russell content to have a chef from Wichita, Kansas? | 夫人愿意雇用 堪萨斯威奇塔来的厨师? |
[57:29] | Couldn’t we just call it “the Middle West”? | 就说是中西部来的吧 |
[57:56] | You’re back. | 你回来啦 |
[58:01] | Did you enjoy it, in spite of Mr. Raikes? | 玩得开心吗? 撇开瑞克斯先生不说 |
[58:05] | The Flagler party left when you did, so the evening picked up. | 你们前脚刚走他们也离开了 之后就轻松多了 |
[58:11] | It was kind of you to let me stay on. | 谢谢让我留下玩 |
[58:16] | Will you ever explain what happened? | 要跟我说说事发经过吗? |
[58:20] | Someday, maybe, but not now. | 以后再说吧,现在没办法 |
[58:23] | It hurts too much. | 我的心还很痛 |
[58:28] | Then get into bed and sleep half the day away if you wish. | 那快休息吧,想睡整天也可以 |
[58:33] | This is your home, Marian. | 玛丽安,这里是你的家 |
[58:36] | You’re very welcome here. | 随时欢迎你回来 |
[58:39] | And things will get better, you’ll see. | 你一定会再好起来的 |
[58:43] | You still have most of New York to explore | 纽约还有很多好地方等着你 |
[58:46] | and all the people in the city to choose from. | 也有一大堆对象任你挑选 |
[58:52] | So good night, my dear. | 晚安了,亲爱的 |
[59:03] | Or should I say good morning? | 好像该说早安才对 |