时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[01:51] | – Mr. Russell is expecting me. | 我与罗素先生有约 |
[01:53] | – If you’ll come this way, sir, Mr. Russell is in the library. | 这边请,罗素先生在书房 |
[02:00] | Mr. Tate. | 泰特先生到 |
[02:05] | – I thought it was your father I was here to see. | 我还以为是令尊约见 |
[02:08] | – I hope I’m not a disappointment. | 抱歉让您失望了 |
[02:12] | – But there is to be a reception at their home, | 当天总统会莅临 |
[02:15] | which the president will attend, | 罗布林家庆功宴 |
[02:17] | and Mrs. Roebling will be the hostess. | 罗布林夫人为东道主 |
[02:19] | Isn’t that enough? – No, not nearly. | -这样还不够吗? -不够,差远了 |
[02:22] | Mrs. Roebling has been managing construction of the eighth wonder of the world. | 罗布林夫人监工的大桥 名列世界第八大奇景 |
[02:25] | – She took orders from her husband, | 她只是执行丈夫指令 |
[02:27] | and she will be thanked for it by the mayor at the opening. | 市长也会在典礼上表扬她 |
[02:29] | – Mr. Roebling has been convalescing for years. | 罗布林先生卧病多年 |
[02:31] | He couldn’t have given directions every day, even if he wanted to. | 就算想每日发号施令也不可能 |
[02:35] | – To reveal now that the Brooklyn Bridge is largely the work of a woman | 在这节骨眼揭露 布鲁克林大桥是由女性监工 |
[02:39] | would make men afraid to cross it. | 恐怕会令男性不敢过桥 |
[02:42] | – She told me you’d say that. | 夫人知道您会这么说 |
[02:44] | – I cannot endanger the whole event | 不能因为同情罗布林夫人 |
[02:46] | out of pity for Mrs. Roebling. | 而毁了开桥典礼 |
[02:51] | – That’s disappointing to hear. | 这句话真教人失望 |
[03:04] | – Well? | 怎么样了? |
[03:05] | – The men are back to work, and the mills | 工人都回去上工,产能 |
[03:07] | are running at full production. | 毫无减损 |
[03:08] | – You sound surprised. | 你好像很意外 |
[03:10] | – I’m not at all surprised, given the offer you made. | 不会啊,你给了那么多福利 |
[03:12] | More safeguards, medical care, children’s park. | 更多安全措施 医疗照顾及儿童游戏场 |
[03:15] | It was a list from a fairy tale. | 简直就像童话故事 |
[03:17] | – Don’t forget the pay raise. | 你忘了说加薪 |
[03:18] | – You joke, but you’ve broken your word to the others. | 你还有心说笑 此举已破坏市场行情 |
[03:20] | – I have only done what they will all do sooner or later. | 所有雇主迟早都得这么做 |
[03:23] | – You mean give in? – Not quite. | -你是指投降? -非也 |
[03:25] | I’ve offered a modest raise on a six-month contract | 我提供技师为期六个月小幅加薪 |
[03:28] | to the tradesmen, and only to the tradesmen. | 仅限技师,不包括一般工人 |
[03:30] | – Exactly. | -是没错 |
[03:32] | – It will split the union down the middle. | -此举会让劳方内部分裂 |
[03:33] | And when it does, we will reassert our control. | 到时控制权又回到我们手上 |
[03:36] | – So you’ve tricked them? | 所以你摆了他们一道? |
[03:38] | – I prefer to call it tactics. | 应该说是略施小技 |
[03:40] | By the time the contract lapses, | 合约到期时 |
[03:42] | the craftsmen and the laborers will hate each other, | 技师和劳工彼此憎恨 |
[03:45] | and everyone will hate the Catholic immigrants and the Jews. | 大家把错都算在 天主教移民和犹太人头上 |
[03:48] | In the meantime,get Henderson back to New York. | 当务之急‥快把韩德森召回纽约 |
[03:52] | We’ll have a photograph taken of my shaking his hand. | 我来跟他拍张握手言和的相片 |
[03:54] | – To celebrate your victory. – Certainly not. | -庆祝你的胜利 -错了 |
[03:57] | For now, he must look like the winner. | 现阶段要让他看起来是赢家 |
[04:03] | – I’ll have one more, please. They’re quite tasty. | 再给我一块吧,真好吃 |
[04:05] | – Are you all right, Miss Armstrong? | 阿姆斯壮小姐,你没事吧? |
[04:07] | – Yes, why? – Well, you said something nice. | -很好啊,怎么了? -你说了好话 |
[04:09] | – I can’t compliment Mrs. Bauer’s cooking? | 不能赞美鲍尔太太的手艺吗? |
[04:11] | – Oh, you can, but it’s just so unlike you. | 可以,只是不像你罢了 |
[04:14] | – I give praise when it is deserved. | 该称赞的我就会称赞 |
[04:16] | – Oh, John. – Yes, Mr. Bannister? | -约翰 -是,班尼斯特先生 |
[04:17] | – I have a friend coming here this afternoon, | 下午我的朋友舒伯特先生 |
[04:19] | a Mr. Schubert. | 会来访 |
[04:20] | I wrote to him about your predicament, | 我向他转述你的困境 |
[04:22] | and he’s agreed to meet you to see if there’s anything | 他愿意来一趟 |
[04:24] | to be done about your patent. | 看能否为你的专利帮点忙 |
[04:26] | – But they turned me down. Isn’t that the end of it? | 官方回绝,不是就没下文了? |
[04:28] | – Well, Mr. Schubert will know. | 问问看舒伯特先生吧 |
[04:30] | He’s the secretary | 他是纽约市 |
[04:31] | of the Uhrmacher Verein der Stadt New York. | 钟表协会秘书 |
[04:33] | – Do you speak German now? – What does it mean? | 你连德语也会说? 那是什么意思? |
[04:36] | – The Watchmakers’ Association of the City of New York. | 纽约市德国钟表协会 |
[04:39] | It was founded by some German clockmakers | 内战末期由几名 |
[04:41] | at the end of the war, | 德裔钟表匠成立 |
[04:42] | and now it wields considerable influence. | 该协会目前极具影响力 |
[04:45] | – Why would he bother with me? | 他怎会想帮我? |
[04:47] | – As a favor to me. – How exciting. | 为了还我人情 真是太好了 |
[04:49] | – Shouldn’t you take the silver up? | 还不快把刀叉送上楼 |
[04:52] | – Right away. | 马上去 |
[04:57] | – You sure you feel up to going? | 你当真想去? |
[05:00] | – I do. It’s Marian’s engagement. | 那当然 |
[05:01] | – She’ll understand. | 毕竟是玛丽安的订婚宴 |
[05:03] | I can represent us both. | 她会谅解的 |
[05:05] | There’s no need to put yourself through it. | 由我代表出席就好 |
[05:07] | – I intend to keep living my life while I can. | 你不必勉强自己 |
[05:10] | – I just worry that if you go over there, | 可以的话,我还想正常过日子 |
[05:13] | Agnes will try to persuade us again to move in with her. | 怕只怕一看到你 爱格又开始劝我俩搬过去 |
[05:20] | – I’d rather we stay here. | 我想留在这里 |
[05:22] | – I won’t leave your side. | 我会陪着你 |
[05:24] | You may tire of me, | 就算你嫌我烦 |
[05:27] | but I’m not going anywhere. | 我也会一直陪着你 |
[05:29] | – I will never grow weary of you, Mrs. Forte. | 我永远不会嫌你烦,弗特夫人 |
[05:37] | – What do you think of this one? | 你觉得这件如何? |
[05:38] | – It’s pretty. They’re all pretty. | 很好看,每件都好看 |
[05:44] | – It just feels wrong, when Uncle Luke is so ill. | 这么做不太好 路克姑丈都已如此病重 |
[05:48] | – Mrs. Forte won’t grudge it. | 弗特牧师娘不会介意 |
[05:50] | She’s glad you’re engaged. | 她为你订婚感到开心 |
[05:51] | They wouldn’t come to the luncheon otherwise. | 否则也不会出席午宴 |
[05:55] | – Was I right to accept him? | 嫁给他是对的吗? |
[05:58] | – Well, only you can answer that. | 这只有你能回答 |
[06:00] | But he seems a nice man. – He is nice. | 他看起来人很好 他是很好 |
[06:04] | And kind, and a good father, | 心地善良,是个好父亲 |
[06:06] | and all of those things. | 具备所有好条件 |
[06:08] | – Are you trying to persuade yourself? | 你在说服自己吗? |
[06:13] | – Not at all. | 并不是 |
[06:15] | I am persuaded. | 我心意已决 |
[06:16] | – Then enjoy your luncheon in peace. | 那就好好享受午宴吧 |
[06:19] | – Yes, I will. | 我会的 |
[06:22] | – I thought you’d be overjoyed. | 还以为你会更高兴一点 |
[06:26] | – To be honest, I’m stunned. | 老实说,我挺讶异的 |
[06:27] | – Well, I’ve pulled a lot of strings, | 我动用了些关系 |
[06:30] | and I’m afraid I’ve pushed others aside | 还把其他人挪开 |
[06:32] | to get you to the top of the list. | 才帮你争取到包厢 |
[06:34] | – For which I’m grateful, of course. | 这我自然是很感激 |
[06:36] | – Wasn’t a box at the Academy what you’ve always wanted? | 你不是一直想要学院包厢吗? |
[06:40] | – It was. | 是没错 |
[06:41] | – And now you have it. | 现在你如愿以偿了 |
[06:42] | So can we put this Metropolitan business to rest? | 大都会剧院不如就算了吧 |
[06:47] | – I must discuss it with Mr. Russell. | 我要跟罗素先生商量一下 |
[06:49] | – I think he’ll be very pleased for you. | 我想他会为你高兴的 |
[06:56] | I should be on my way. | 我该走了 |
[06:58] | There’s so much to do for the opening | 布鲁克林大桥启用 |
[07:00] | of the Brooklyn Bridge. | 可有得忙了 |
[07:01] | – Mr. Russell is one of the trustees. | 罗素先生是大桥托管人 |
[07:03] | We’re watching the opening itself, | 我们先观赏开桥仪式 |
[07:05] | and then we’ll go to a reception that Mrs. Roebling is giving. | 再到罗布林府参加庆功宴 |
[07:08] | – Yes, I know. I’m helping her with it. | 我知道,我在帮她筹备 |
[07:10] | She’s never entertained for a president before. | 她府上从未接待过总统 |
[07:13] | – Quite a responsibility. – I suppose. | 得花不少功夫呢 |
[07:15] | President Arthur is a nice man, | 是啊,亚瑟总统人很随和 |
[07:18] | and I believe he was successful as a lawyer. | 他从前是很成功的律师 |
[07:21] | But his origins are not exactly inspiring. | 出身倒是挺平凡的 |
[07:24] | – You know him then? | 你跟他认识? |
[07:26] | – We meet in the way of things. | 我们打过几次照面 |
[07:28] | I’ll present you, if you like. | 我能介绍你给总统认识 |
[07:30] | – I should be honored. – That’s settled, then. | 那真是太光荣了 就这么说定了 |
[07:35] | Will I be seeing you | 你这周也会出席 |
[07:37] | at Mrs. Fane’s charity committee this week? | 芬恩夫人的慈善委员会吧? |
[07:39] | – You will. | -我会去 -届时能否告知‥ |
[07:40] | – Might you have spoken to Mr. Russell | 罗素先生对学院 |
[07:41] | about the Academy box by then? | 包厢的决定? |
[07:43] | – I should think so. – Good. | 应该可以 那好 |
[07:46] | I’m sure he’ll be delighted, my dear. | 我想他会很乐意接受 |
[07:52] | – Your carriage is ready, ma’am. | 夫人的车在门口等 |
[08:00] | – Excuse me, everyone. | 打扰了,各位 |
[08:01] | I want to thank you all for coming, | 感谢各位出席 |
[08:04] | and praise my daughter and her editor, Mr. Fortune, | 我想借机表扬小女 与报社编辑福顿先生 |
[08:08] | for taking up the cause. | 鼎力协助 |
[08:10] | Mr. Fortune. – Yes. | 请您说几句话 |
[08:11] | Now, these attempts to denigrate our teachers | 我们将致力对抗 藉诋毁教师 |
[08:14] | and close our schools will be fought. | 以关闭学校的恶行 |
[08:16] | “The Globe” will publish articles | "环球报"将发文 |
[08:18] | stressing our teachers’ merits. | 捍卫教师资格 |
[08:20] | – Would that be enough to keep the schools open? | 这样就能阻止学校关闭? |
[08:22] | – Not that alone. | 当然还不够 |
[08:23] | I’ve spoken to some other educators, | 我和几位白人教育工作者谈过 |
[08:25] | white educators, and the fact is, | 当务之急 |
[08:28] | we need to increase the number of pupils. | 是增加学童数量 |
[08:30] | Specifically, we need to enroll white students | 尤其是要招收白人学童 |
[08:34] | in our schools for the board to even care. | 才能引起委员会关注 |
[08:36] | – We don’t want integrated schools. | 我们不要种族混合学校 |
[08:38] | – But if it’s the only way to keep them open, | 这是保住学校唯一办法 |
[08:40] | do we have a choice? | 我们别无选择 |
[08:41] | – No. Mrs. Garnet is right. | 嘉纳夫人说的对 |
[08:44] | I work with these people every day in my drugstores. | 我每天在药房跟白人做生意 |
[08:47] | The only reason they ever trusted me in the first place | 他们之所以会开始信任我 |
[08:50] | is because a white pharmacist told them to. | 是有白人药师在场 |
[08:52] | – Well, what does that have to do with the schools? | 这跟学校有什么关系? |
[08:54] | – Well, “The Globe” can praise our colored teachers | 就算"环球报"把黑人教师捧上天 |
[08:57] | to the heavens, but none of those white parents will send their children to our schools | 白人还是不愿意把孩子送到学校 |
[09:01] | unless they are persuaded by someone white. | 除非有其他白人说服他们 |
[09:04] | And we may have to recruit some white teachers too. | 学校甚至该招募白人教师 |
[09:06] | – Oh. – I don’t like that. | 我不喜欢这样 |
[09:08] | – I don’t know how we’re going to manage that. | 这怎么可能办得到? |
[09:10] | – I may have an idea. | 我也许有办法 |
[09:14] | – So, Marian and Dashiell, I can only wish you the happiness | 玛丽安与达许愿 你们拥有如同艾达 |
[09:20] | that your Aunt Ada has brought me. | 带给我的幸福 |
[09:22] | – Here, here. – Cheers. | -说得好 -干杯‥ |
[09:26] | – Oscar, before I forget, Mrs. Astor has invited you | 奥斯卡,差点忘了说 阿斯特夫人邀请你 |
[09:29] | to the Academy for the opening night. | 出席学院剧院开幕夜 |
[09:31] | – I don’t know if I’m free. | 我不确定是否有空 |
[09:33] | – You’re free, and you’re coming. | 你有空,而且会出席 |
[09:34] | And now we should begin wedding plans. | 来谈婚礼筹划事宜吧 |
[09:38] | – We’ve not been long engaged. | 我们才刚订婚而已 |
[09:39] | – And I’d like to see you married | 我想尽快安排 |
[09:41] | as soon as we can arrange it. | 举行婚礼 |
[09:42] | We should get the dress started. | 先从婚纱开始 |
[09:44] | That will take the time. – Oh, yes. | 那个比较费时 |
[09:45] | – But I– – Don’t try to argue. | -可是我‥ -这点没得谈 |
[09:47] | – I should tell you that Frances is determined | 法兰丝也想参与 |
[09:49] | to be a part of the preparations. | 婚礼筹划 |
[09:51] | – I’m to allow a 14-year-old girl | 让十四岁少女 |
[09:53] | to plan Marian’s wedding? | 筹划婚礼好吗? |
[09:54] | – I think Frances would insist on it. | 只怕你拗不过法兰丝 |
[09:58] | – Mr. Montgomery– | 蒙哥马利先生 |
[09:59] | – Are you still being good to Miss Beaton? | 你跟彼顿小姐还顺利吗? |
[10:01] | Please say yes. | 拜托说是 |
[10:02] | – I’m sad you think so little of me. | 你未免太小看我了 |
[10:04] | – I thought she might be here. | 怎么没请她来? |
[10:06] | – She’s in Newport for a few days. | 她去纽波特探病几天 |
[10:08] | She has an aunt there who’s been ill. | 她的姨母病了 |
[10:10] | But you have nothing to worry about. | 你不必担心 |
[10:11] | We’re going to the Brooklyn Bridge festivities. | 我们会一起参加开桥典礼 |
[10:13] | And I mean to propose, | 届时我打算求婚 |
[10:15] | if that will put your mind at rest. | 这下可以放心了吧? |
[10:18] | – Well, if that’s true, I’m relieved. | 这样一来我就放心了 |
[10:20] | And so glad. | 我真替你高兴 |
[10:24] | – Oscar, you need to escort the bride down the aisle. | 奥斯卡 由你来牵新娘走红毯 |
[10:28] | – I’d be delighted. | 乐意至极 |
[10:29] | – Aurora and I are hoping you will allow us | 请允许我和奥萝拉 |
[10:31] | to give the wedding reception. | 负责婚礼宴客 |
[10:32] | – Oh! – It would be our pleasure. | 我们义不容辞 |
[10:34] | – Oh, how very kind. Thank you. | 感谢二位如此慷慨 |
[10:36] | – And the service will be at St. Thomas, of course. | 婚礼就在圣托马斯教堂举行 |
[10:40] | – It will be an honor to marry you. | 我很荣幸为二位主婚 |
[10:48] | – Oh, Mr. Fortune. – Oh, hello. | -福顿先生 -您好 |
[10:50] | – We are so pleased we could finally meet you in person | 很高兴终于见到您本人 |
[10:54] | and thank you for the opportunity you’ve given to Peggy. | 谢谢您愿意给佩姬机会 |
[10:57] | – Of course, you should be so proud | -她在报社的表现值得肯定 |
[10:58] | of her accomplishments at “The Globe.” – We are. | -我们是很骄傲 |
[11:00] | – She helped me immensely in Tuskegee. | 她在塔斯基吉帮了我大忙 |
[11:02] | – Oh, I read the article. | 我看了报导 |
[11:04] | I noticed that only you two were credited. | 我发现只挂了二位的名字 |
[11:08] | How many others went with you? | 请问共有几位同僚南下? |
[11:10] | – Mother, we shouldn’t take up any more of Mr. Fortune’s time. | 母亲,福顿先生还有别的事要忙 |
[11:14] | Thank you for coming. | 不打扰您了 |
[11:16] | – I’ll see you all tomorrow? – Oh, you will. | 那就明天见了 明天见 |
[11:21] | – You were enthusiastic today. What was that about? | 你今天表现很积极,怎么回事? |
[11:24] | – Well, it’s a good cause, a righteous cause. | 我只是想为公益出点力 |
[11:26] | And I’m supporting my wife. | 并且支持我的夫人 |
[11:28] | – Oh, my word. Am I hearing right? | 天哪,我听错了吗? |
[11:32] | Peggy, can we coax you to come back with us, | 佩姬,跟爸妈回家吧 |
[11:34] | or do you have to take the ferry? | -还是要搭渡轮走? -我不急着走 |
[11:36] | – I can stay. | 下周此时 |
[11:37] | – By this time next week, Peggy will be able | 佩姬就能直接 |
[11:39] | to cross the Brooklyn Bridge to visit us in no time. | 走布鲁克林大桥来看我们 |
[11:43] | – You have to come back for the opening. | 开桥当天记得回来 |
[11:45] | The Wyatts are throwing a party on their rooftop to watch it. | 怀厄家要办屋顶派对观赏开桥仪式 |
[11:48] | – I’ll see, Mother. – No, no, no, you’ll come. | -再看看吧 -不行,你一定得来 |
[11:53] | – So it was born of necessity? | 当初是出于需求而设计? |
[11:55] | – That’s it. – Hm. | 没错 |
[11:56] | – I figured the problem was with the escape wheel. | 我发现问题出在擒纵轮 |
[11:59] | – The escapement. | 那叫擒纵器 |
[12:01] | – Sure. | 了解 |
[12:02] | It seemed like the old oil was congealing | 旧机油凝固阻碍 |
[12:04] | and slowing it down. | 机械运作 |
[12:06] | – Yes, I have suspected this before. | 我也怀疑过这问题 |
[12:08] | – So I constructed a new kind of wheel | 我制作出新型齿轮 |
[12:11] | that runs without oil. | 不需上油也能走 |
[12:13] | – How ingenious. | 真是妙招 |
[12:15] | And it works? – Every time. | -效果如何? -从未失灵 |
[12:19] | – Well, Mr. Trotter, I will see what I can do | 特罗特先生 我来想办法 |
[12:22] | in terms of your membership. | 让你入会 |
[12:24] | – My membership, sir? | 入什么会? |
[12:26] | – Of the Uhrmacher Verein der Stadt New York. | 纽约市德国钟表协会 |
[12:29] | You clearly know more about clocks | 看来你比许多会员 |
[12:30] | than many of our members. | 都还懂钟表 |
[12:41] | – Ah, Bannister. – Yes, ma’am. | -班尼斯特 -夫人 |
[12:43] | – Mr. and Mrs. Forte are leaving. – I must go as well. | 弗特先生夫人要回去了 |
[12:45] | I hadn’t realized the time, and Frances is waiting. | 我也该走了 |
[12:52] | – Well, please tell–oh! | 请帮我跟‥ |
[12:53] | – Oh, Luke! | 路克 |
[12:55] | My darling, are you all right? | 亲爱的,你没事吧? |
[12:56] | – That settles it. You’re staying here. | 决定了,你们非留下来不可 |
[12:58] | Bannister, will you fetch John? | 班尼斯特,叫约翰来 |
[13:00] | We should get Mr. Forte into bed and send for Dr. Lewis. | 扶弗特先生上床 |
[13:01] | – Right away. – | -找路易斯大夫来 -马上去 |
[13:05] | – I’ll have John fetch the doctor. | 请约翰去找大夫 |
[13:26] | – What was that for? | 这是怎么了? |
[13:28] | – I can’t stop thinking about Pittsburgh | 想起匹兹堡的事 |
[13:30] | and what could have happened if they started firing. | 万一双方交火,后果不堪设想 |
[13:34] | – Well, they didn’t. | 幸亏没交火 |
[13:37] | – Are things under control now? | 情况控制住了吗? |
[13:39] | – I think they will be. | 应该快了 |
[13:43] | I thought the opera war was under control too. | 我本也以为剧院之战很顺利 |
[13:45] | But Mrs. Astor has made me an offer, | 阿斯特夫人突然释出善意 |
[13:47] | and now I don’t know what to do. | 我反而犹豫了 |
[13:48] | – What sort of offer? | 什么样的善意? |
[13:50] | – A box at the Academy of Music. | 给我们学院剧院的包厢 |
[13:54] | – And? – I must consider it, George. | -所以呢? -我得考虑一下 |
[13:56] | She obviously went through a lot of trouble | 毕竟是她费心思为我们争来的 |
[13:58] | to get it for us. | 当然是 |
[13:59] | – Of course she did. To buy you off. | 这样才能收买你 |
[14:02] | – So you think I should turn it down? | 你认为我该拒绝? |
[14:04] | – Your argument for a new opera house holds good. | 你提出建新剧院的理由很正当 |
[14:07] | The Academy is too small, too unambitious. | 学院剧院太小又守旧 |
[14:09] | And it excludes the people who are making the city great. | 还排拒对纽约有贡献的人 |
[14:13] | Why would you give up your goal now? | 没道理放弃目标 |
[14:15] | – My goal was always a box at the Academy. | 我的目标向来是进入学院 |
[14:19] | – At the Met, you’ll be a founding member, | 在大都会,你是创始成员 |
[14:23] | and you can reign supreme. | 有至高无上权力 |
[14:25] | You don’t need to be in Mrs. Astor’s shadow. | 不必处在阿斯特夫人光环下 |
[14:28] | – You make a good case. | 你说的很有道理 |
[14:30] | – It’s your case. I’m just repeating it. | 道理你已明白,我不过重申而已 |
[14:37] | – I feel a bit better today. | 今天感觉好一点 |
[14:39] | – That’s good, isn’t it? | 这是好现象吧? |
[14:41] | – And I had a little breakfast. – Good. | 也吃了一些早餐 很好 |
[14:44] | Send for me if things change. – Mm. | 一有变化就找我来 |
[14:55] | – Dr. Lewis, may I take him home? | 路易斯大夫 我可以带他回家吗? |
[14:58] | He looks better, and he has his appetite back. | 他好点了,食欲也恢复了 |
[15:00] | – I would not advise it. – What does that mean? | -最好不要 -怎么说? |
[15:03] | – I’m afraid at this stage, it’s out of my hands. | 现阶段我已束手无策 |
[15:05] | We can only pray. | 只能向天祈祷 |
[15:08] | – That’s a clever way to shirk your responsibility. | 这么说是为了逃避责任吧 |
[15:13] | – I will check on him again. | 我会再来看他 |
[15:15] | – Thank you, Dr. Lewis. | 谢谢大夫 |
[15:20] | – Ada, you look ragged. | -艾达,你一脸憔悴 -我不在乎 |
[15:23] | – I don’t care. – Go and lie down. | 去睡会儿吧,我来顾他 |
[15:25] | I’ll watch over him. – No. | 不行 |
[15:28] | My place is here. – Ada, go and lie down. | 我要去陪他 艾达,你去睡会儿 |
[15:31] | I can sit with Luke. | 我来看着路克 |
[15:33] | Go. | 去吧 |
[15:40] | – Mrs. Garnet has an excellent curriculum | 嘉纳夫人的学校具备出色课程 |
[15:43] | and committed teachers. | 以及尽心尽力的教师 |
[15:45] | Anyone would be lucky to teach at | 在该校任教或就读, |
[15:47] | or attend one of these schools. | 都是一大福气 |
[15:50] | With your help, we can make the board realize | 有各位协助定能说服委员会 |
[15:53] | they have to keep them open. | 保留这几所学校 |
[15:56] | – Thank you, Miss Brook, for coming out today | 感谢布鲁克小姐 |
[15:58] | and supporting our cause. | 前来支持我们 |
[16:00] | If there are teachers who have not registered their interest, | 在场有兴趣任教的教师 |
[16:03] | please move to the back of the room where you can do so. | 欢迎到后面登记 |
[16:09] | – You did well. | -你表现得很好 |
[16:11] | – Do you think so? – Mm-hmm. | -真的吗? |
[16:13] | – I just hope enough people sign up. | 希望有多一点人登记 |
[16:15] | – Excuse me, ladies. | 各位夫人 |
[16:16] | Mr. Hastings is another pharmacist. | 这位是药剂师海斯汀先生 |
[16:18] | – And a member of the school board. | 我也是校董之一 |
[16:20] | I wanted you to meet a friend of mine, Mr. Patrick Ryan. | 这位是我朋友派翠克莱恩 |
[16:23] | He is a teacher. – Where do you teach? | 他是教师 您在哪里任教? |
[16:25] | – Nowhere just now. | 目前待业中 |
[16:27] | Irish teachers and students face | 我们爱尔兰裔师生 |
[16:29] | our own set of prejudices. | 也受偏见所害 |
[16:31] | – Would you consider coming to work with me? | 您愿意到我校任教吗? |
[16:33] | – I’ve been impressed this afternoon by Miss Brook. | 布鲁克小姐一席话打动了我 |
[16:36] | I’ve been looking for work for some time, | 我找工作已久 |
[16:37] | and I’d like to join you. | 很乐意加入贵校 |
[16:39] | Also there are plenty of others, | 跟我相同处境的人很多 |
[16:41] | and I think I can convince some of them to follow me. | 我应能说服他们一起加入 |
[16:44] | – I hope so because one white teacher won’t be enough. | 这样最好 仅有一位白人教师还不够 |
[16:47] | – That’s one more than we had yesterday. | 至少比昨天多了一位 |
[16:49] | – Once I bring the other white teachers, | 白人教师加入后 |
[16:51] | the white pupils will come. | 白人学生会跟着来 |
[16:53] | – Don’t you see? This may be our way forward. | 看吧,这会是今后的趋势 |
[16:56] | We’ll have the mix of children that we need. | 我们会如愿招收黑白族群学生 |
[16:58] | I’m really starting to think we may win. | 终于看到成功的希望了 |
[17:01] | God bless you, Mr. Ryan. | 愿主保佑您,莱恩先生 |
[17:08] | – That should do it. | 拍好了 |
[17:10] | – Thank you, gentlemen. Right this way. | 感谢各位,这边请 |
[17:12] | – Press is declaring this a victory for labor. | 媒体宣称劳方获得胜利 |
[17:15] | They praise your spirit of moderate compromise. | 赞扬你适度让步,精神可佳 |
[17:18] | – Is that so? – Mm-hmm. | 是这样吗? |
[17:19] | – Please. | 请坐 |
[17:20] | – But we both know better, Mr. Russell. | 我俩心知肚明并非如此 |
[17:24] | – The tradesmen will enjoy a 10% increase for six months. | 技师可享六个月一成加薪 |
[17:27] | What’s wrong with that? | 有什么问题? |
[17:28] | – You know it’ll set the laborers against them. | 你明知会引起一般工人眼红 |
[17:30] | And almost all our skilled craftsmen | 身怀技术者 几乎全是 |
[17:32] | are American born and bred. | 土生土长美国人 |
[17:34] | Your terms leave the immigrants on the outside. | 你的优待把移工排除在外 |
[17:36] | – They’ll benefit too. The workplace will be safer. | 他们一样能受益 |
[17:39] | Their health will be in good hands. | 工作环境和医疗都更有保障 |
[17:40] | They’ll even have a park where their children can play. | 子女还能去游戏场玩 |
[17:43] | – But you don’t intend to recognize the union. | 但你不打算认可工会 |
[17:45] | – Not yet. | 还不行 |
[17:47] | – Carriage is here, Mr. Henderson. | 韩德森先生的车来了 |
[17:50] | – Shall I tell you why I accepted the terms? | 知道我为何接受条件? |
[17:53] | Because you didn’t allow them to fire on the men | 你明明可下令对劳工开枪 |
[17:55] | when you could have. | 却没这么做 |
[17:58] | – You’ve made the right decision, Mr. Henderson. | 你的决定是正确的,韩德森先生 |
[18:00] | – All I want is for the workers to have decent lives. | 我一心只想为劳工谋福利 |
[18:04] | – And you’ve managed that. | 你也办到了 |
[18:13] | – He knows your plan is to divide them. | 他知道你存心想分化劳工 |
[18:14] | – Of course he does. | 当然知道 |
[18:16] | But it won’t matter in six months. | 六个月后一切都无所谓了 |
[18:17] | – At which point you’ll reduce the payments. | 届时你会调低薪资? |
[18:20] | – Indeed. | 没错 |
[18:22] | But I hope you noticed something. | 这让我想起一件事 |
[18:23] | You thought we’d lost when I ordered | 我下令民兵退下时 |
[18:25] | the militia to stand down. | 你认为大势已去 |
[18:26] | – It seemed weak to me, I confess it. | 我承认,看起来像在示弱 |
[18:28] | – They opened fire in the railway strikes of ’77, | 77年铁路罢工曾经开火 |
[18:31] | and all that did was garner sympathy for the strikers. | 却换来大众对罢工者的同情 |
[18:34] | Anyway, you heard him. | 总之,你听到他说的了 |
[18:36] | My moment of tenderness turns out | 我的一时心软 |
[18:38] | to have been my trump card. | 反而成为致胜王牌 |
[18:53] | – Can I help you, ma’am? | 夫人想找谁? |
[18:55] | – Is Mr. Watson here? | 请问‥华生先生在吗? |
[19:03] | – Yes. – Straight away. | -在。 -直走。 |
[19:13] | – Mr. Watson? | 华生先生 |
[19:17] | – Flora. What are you doing here? | 芙萝拉,你怎么来了? |
[19:20] | I–come this way. | 跟我来 |
[19:33] | Why are you here? | 你怎么来了? |
[19:34] | Have you come to order me to leave for California? | 是来劝我搬去加州吗? |
[19:37] | – No. | 不是 |
[19:39] | – Do you no longer want me to go? | 你现在不希望我搬走了? |
[19:41] | – I never did. | 我从来没这么想过 |
[19:43] | You were supposed to have gone | 现在我知情了, |
[19:45] | before I knew anything about it. | 更不可能让您走 |
[19:48] | My husband thought he was protecting me, | 我丈夫以为是在保护我 |
[19:51] | but he was wrong. | 但他错了 |
[19:52] | And then I found your letters to him. | 我后来才发现您寄来的信 |
[19:58] | No.Everything’s going to be fine. | 别难过,没事的 |
[20:09] | Just tell me, what do you want me to do? | 告诉我‥你是怎么想的 |
[20:11] | Whatever it is, I will do it. | 我全都会依你的意思 |
[20:14] | – I want you to stay.Here in New York. | 我希望您留在纽约 |
[20:18] | You will have an apartment with whatever you need, | 我们会帮您准备公寓,打理一切 |
[20:21] | and you’ll be a retired banker called Collyer. | 您的身份是退休银行家科利尔 |
[20:25] | Which is exactly who you are, no word of a lie. | 这本来就是事实,没半句假话 |
[20:32] | – I suppose I must relinquish my job. | 那么我得辞去工作了 |
[20:37] | I hope I may see you and the children sometimes. | 希望偶尔能见见你和孩子 |
[20:41] | – Yes. | 当然可以 |
[20:43] | And you’ll meet our friends and be in our world | 您还会成为我们社交圈一份子 |
[20:46] | as my father. | 而且是以我父亲的身份 |
[20:52] | I’ll write tomorrow with a plan. | 我明天再写信说明细节 |
[21:00] | – We’ll be all right, you and me. | 别担心,我俩终于团圆了 |
[21:24] | – What are we to make of that? | 结果如何? |
[21:25] | Did Mrs. McNeil bring good news or bad? | 麦克尼尔夫人带来的消息是好是坏? |
[21:29] | – The best. | 是好消息 |
[21:32] | The very best. | 天大的好消息 |
[21:34] | – I’m glad. | 太好了 |
[21:37] | – It seems I’m to have a life after all. | 今后我能过上好日子了 |
[21:52] | Where’s Ada? | 艾达人呢? |
[21:55] | – I hope she’s sleeping. | 我希望她在睡觉 |
[22:00] | You’re right. I hope so too. | 说的是,我也希望如此 |
[22:04] | – I’m glad to have a moment alone with you. | 很高兴有机会与你独处 |
[22:07] | – It gives me a chance to thank you for your restraint. | 我想为你当初的反对表达谢意 |
[22:11] | I know you never wanted the marriage, | 我知道你很反对这门婚事 |
[22:12] | and now you’ve been proved right. | 现在看来你是对的 |
[22:15] | I was selfish to take her on at my age. | 这把年纪还娶她,是我太自私 |
[22:18] | – No. | 别这么说 |
[22:19] | You have given my sister a taste of the kind | 你带给舍妹 |
[22:21] | of happiness she had never known. | 前所未有的幸福感 |
[22:24] | I see that quite clearly. | 这点我看得很清楚 |
[22:26] | – Only to desert her now, | 才刚浅尝幸福滋味 |
[22:28] | when she’s hardly got used to the sensation. | 现在却要丢下她 |
[22:31] | – It has been too brief, certainly. | 快乐时光确实短暂 |
[22:33] | But for the rest of her time on Earth, | 但她余生每当想起你时 |
[22:36] | she has only to think of you to feel warm, | 总能感到倍受珍爱的温情 |
[22:40] | and cherished, and deeply loved. | 以及深深的爱恋 |
[22:44] | You have changed her life. | 你改变了她的一生 |
[22:48] | – That is generous of you, Agnes. | 爱格,感谢你的宽容 |
[22:54] | I know how generous. | 与无比的善意 |
[22:56] | – It is the truth. | 我说的是实话 |
[23:00] | – Can I ask you to help Ada when I’m gone? | 我不在了‥能请你帮帮艾达吗? |
[23:04] | – Well, of course I’ll help her. | 那还用说吗 |
[23:06] | She’s my little sister. | 她是我妹妹啊 |
[23:11] | Now go back to sleep, | 你多睡会儿吧 |
[23:15] | or you’ll get me in trouble. | 免得艾达又要怪我了 |
[23:29] | – Mr. Russell! – Papers! | 罗素先生 |
[23:31] | Sir, would you like a paper? – What’s that? | 有事吗? |
[23:34] | – I was just saying hello. | 我只是来打声招呼 |
[23:37] | – Hello to you, Mr. Van Rhijn. | 你好,凡瑞恩先生 |
[23:42] | – I don’t want things to be awkward between us. | 希望我们别心存芥蒂才好 |
[23:44] | – I assume you’re referring to Gladys. | 你是指追求葛莱蒂的事? |
[23:46] | – Yes, and the matter with the railway. | 对‥再加上铁路的事 |
[23:51] | – I don’t follow you. | 什么意思? |
[23:52] | – As it turns out, I’m a substantial shareholder | 实不相瞒 我是卡司特桥 |
[23:54] | in the Casterbridge Pacific company. | 太平洋的大股东 |
[23:57] | – Who? | 哪一家? |
[23:58] | – The company that bid against you | 就是与贵公司争夺 |
[24:00] | for the Chicago and Atlantic line. | 芝加哥大西洋线的公司 |
[24:02] | – Well, you’re right that we bought the railroad, | 我们确实买下该线 |
[24:05] | though it hasn’t been announced yet. | 只是尚未公诸于世 |
[24:07] | But I’ve never heard of the Casterbridge Pacific. | 我倒没听过卡司特桥太平洋 |
[24:10] | – I don’t understand. Might you be mistaken? | 怎么会,该不会弄错了吧? |
[24:14] | – I make it my business to know every major player | 熟悉业界各巨头 |
[24:16] | in my industry. | 是我的工作 |
[24:18] | If I’ve not heard of them, | 我没听过的 |
[24:20] | they cannot be of any consequence. | 表示微不足道 |
[24:22] | Good day to you, Mr. Van Rhijn. | 再见,凡瑞恩先生 |
[24:27] | – Congratulations, Miss Scott. – | 恭喜了,史考特小姐 |
[24:29] | Remember, it’s only the first step. | 这还只是起步 |
[24:32] | – Now, that’s true. | 那倒是真的 |
[24:33] | It’s a shame most of the new white pupils are Irish. | 可惜新入学的白人学生 大都是爱尔兰裔 |
[24:36] | – That doesn’t sound like you. | 怎会说这种话? |
[24:38] | – Yeah, I’m just not sure the board think much better | 委员会大概不会觉得 |
[24:40] | of the Irish than they do of the colored children. | 爱裔比黑人裔学童好到哪里去 |
[24:42] | – In this bright new democracy of America. | 好个新美国民主社会 |
[24:48] | Let me write an article about it. | 我来写篇专题报导 |
[24:50] | Let me shame the board into making the right decision. | 以迫使委员会做出正确决定 |
[24:53] | – Fighting talk. That’s what I like to hear. | 战力满满 这就是我想听到的 |
[24:56] | Let’s mark your resolution with a toast. | 来举杯庆祝你的决心 |
[25:01] | – All right. | 好啊 |
[25:06] | – To the survival of the schools. | 愿学校得以存留 |
[25:08] | – Enough. | 这样就够了 |
[25:09] | – And to the new integrated students. | 愿黑白学生顺利融合 |
[25:12] | – And down with the Board of Education. | 愿教育委员会失败 |
[25:15] | – Mm. – Richard, I’m taking off. | – 理查德,我要走了。 |
[25:18] | – See you later. | 再见 |
[25:20] | – Whew. | 嗯 |
[25:28] | – I should get going. | 我该回去了 |
[25:30] | – Where? | 回去哪里? |
[25:31] | – I’m staying overnight in Brooklyn. | 我今晚待在布鲁克林 |
[25:33] | There’s a rooftop party for the bridge fireworks. | 有场欣赏大桥烟火的屋顶派对 |
[25:35] | – Ah. It’s a big moment for our city. | 这是纽约市的重大时刻 |
[25:38] | – My father even decorated his storefront, | 家父甚至破天荒装饰了 |
[25:40] | which he never does. | 他的店面 |
[25:42] | – I’m having Stephens cover the bridge story for us. | 我派史蒂文写开桥的报导 |
[25:45] | Let me go down with you to hail a cab. | 我陪你去招车 |
[25:47] | – Oh, no need. | 不用了 |
[25:50] | – Excuse me. | 不好意思 |
[26:00] | Goodnight, Mr. Fortune. | 福顿先生再见 |
[26:20] | – What are you doing here? The building is closed today. | 请止步‥大楼今日不开放 |
[26:27] | – What happened to Casterbridge Pacific? | 卡司特桥太平洋公司呢? |
[26:29] | – I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不懂你在说什么 |
[26:31] | – This is their office. | 办公室明明在这里 |
[26:33] | Mr. Crowther–I met with Crowther right in here. | 我跟寇德先生在这里见过 |
[26:37] | Who owns this place? | 这里的主管是谁? |
[26:39] | – I don’t know who rents what, but the office is empty. | 租赁详情我不清楚 这间办公室是空着的 |
[26:42] | – No, no, I was here last week, | 不对‥我上周才来过 |
[26:45] | and I met a man named Crowther. | 还见了寇德先生 |
[26:49] | Casterbridge Pacific was the plaque on the wall. | 当时墙上挂着公司招牌 |
[26:51] | – I’m sorry, sir, but it would appear that you are mistaken. | 先生,恐怕您是搞错了 |
[26:55] | Now I must ask you to leave. | 请立刻离开 |
[27:09] | – Where is she? | 她人呢? |
[27:10] | – Who? – Miss Beaton. | -您说谁? -彼顿小姐 |
[27:11] | Maud Beaton! I need to see her immediately. | 茉德彼顿,我现在就要见她 |
[27:14] | – There’s no one here by that name. | 这里没这个人 |
[27:16] | – But this is where she lives. | 她明明住在这里 |
[27:18] | – This is the home of Mr. and Mrs. Whitmore. | 这里是魏特默公馆 |
[27:22] | – That doesn’t make any sense. | 一定是你搞错了 |
[27:23] | – Is there something wrong, Bevan? | 发生什么事了,贝文? |
[27:25] | – I must see Miss Beaton. | 我要见彼顿小姐 |
[27:27] | – Who? – Maud Beaton! | -你说谁? -茉德彼顿 |
[27:31] | I’ve collected her from here and brought her home. | 我都是在这里接送她 |
[27:33] | – Only my wife and I live here. | 家里就我们夫妻俩而已 |
[27:37] | – No, that can’t be true. | 不可能的 |
[27:38] | – I’m going to send for the police. | 我要报警了 |
[27:40] | – There’s no need to send for anyone. | 不用找警察 |
[27:42] | I’ll go. | 我走就是了 |
[27:49] | – Are we all here? | 人都到齐了吗? |
[27:52] | Shall we begin? | 可以开始了吗? |
[27:54] | – I invited Maud Beaton, but I never heard back from her. | 我邀了茉德彼顿,却迟迟没回音 |
[27:56] | I suppose she must still be in Newport. | 她大概还在纽波特吧 |
[27:59] | – Well, I’m afraid I haven’t been much use recently. | 抱歉我最近鲜少出力 |
[28:03] | I’ve been very busy helping Mrs. Roebling | 我忙着帮罗布林夫人 |
[28:05] | with her reception for the Brooklyn Bridge opening. | 筹备布鲁克林开桥庆功宴 |
[28:08] | – How festive the decorations are, all over the city. | 整座城市到处布置得喜气洋洋 |
[28:11] | I suppose you’re going, Bertha? – We’ll be there. | 宝莎,你也会去吧? 会, |
[28:14] | It seems right to celebrate with the Roeblings. | 到罗布林府庆功是应该的 |
[28:16] | After all, he built the bridge. | 毕竟他是造桥的人 |
[28:17] | – I look forward to seeing you there, Mrs. Russell. | 那我们到时再碰面了 |
[28:20] | And we must arrange a time for you to come and inspect your box at the Academy. | 还得安排时间 带你去看看你的学院包厢 |
[28:26] | – You’ve taken a box at the Academy?How can that be? | 你接受了学院包厢,怎么可能? |
[28:29] | – I thought you were leading the Metropolitan charge. | 你不是大都会主导人? |
[28:31] | – Happily, I was able to secure a box for Mrs. Russell. | 幸好我帮罗素夫人争取到包厢 |
[28:34] | She’s waited long enough. | 她等得够久了 |
[28:37] | And Carrie will be thrilled to see you there, my dear. | 凯莉会很高兴看到葛莱蒂 |
[28:39] | – I can’t believe it. | 真是难以置信 |
[28:41] | Have you waved the white flag in your opera war? | 剧院之战就这样举白旗投降了? |
[28:44] | – No. | 非也 |
[28:45] | I’m grateful to Mrs. Astor for her kindness, of course. | 感谢阿斯特夫人如此慷慨 |
[28:48] | But I can’t change horses now. | 但我不能临时换边站 |
[28:51] | My place is at the Metropolitan. | 大都会才是我的归属 |
[28:55] | – I don’t understand. | 我不懂 |
[28:57] | Isn’t a box at the Academy what you’ve always wanted? | 你不是一心想进学院吗? |
[29:01] | – I’m sorry, but I’ve thought about it, | 抱歉,几经思索 |
[29:02] | and I want to stay loyal to the Met. | 我决定忠于大都会剧院 |
[29:04] | – You’ll regret it. | 你会后悔的 |
[29:06] | In fact, I feel sorry for you, | 我真替你感到丢脸 |
[29:09] | making a fool of yourself in public like this. | 在大庭广众下出这种丑 |
[29:12] | – It was you who decided to do it in front of an audience. | 是你自己要当着大家的面问我 |
[29:14] | – Because I could not have imagined you | 我没料到你会糊涂到 |
[29:16] | to be so deluded as to turn me down. | 拒绝加入学院 |
[29:20] | Good day, Mrs. Fane. | 告辞了,芬恩夫人 |
[29:22] | But we haven’t started the meeting. | 会议还没开始呢 |
[29:24] | – Well, I cannot stay. | 我非走不可 |
[29:26] | Can someone fetch my carriage? – Of course. | -请人帮我备车 -知道了 |
[29:29] | – Mrs. Astor, I’d hate to embarrass you. | 阿斯特夫人,我无意冒犯您 |
[29:32] | That’s the last thing I would want to do. | 这是我最不乐见的事 |
[29:35] | – Well, you have a funny way of showing it. | 你的表达方式还真奇怪 |
[29:46] | – Oscar. | 奥斯卡? |
[29:48] | – Is she here? Maud Beaton. | 她在这里吗?-茉德彼顿 |
[29:51] | – I invited her, and she never arrived. | -我邀了她但没来 |
[29:53] | Why? – Who is she? | 怎么了? 她到底是谁? |
[29:56] | How did you meet her? | 你们怎么认识的? |
[29:58] | – I can’t remember exactly. | 我也记不真切 |
[29:59] | She was just a part of our group. | 她就是我们这群人的一员 |
[30:02] | – She’s deceived all of us. | 大家都上了她的当 |
[30:05] | She’s deceived me. | 她欺骗了我 |
[30:07] | – There must be some mistake. | 一定有什么误会 |
[30:09] | – Yes, and the mistake is mine. | 对,是我错看了她 |
[30:18] | – This is really thrilling. | 这可精彩了 |
[30:27] | – Oh, Marian. Where were you? | 玛丽安,你上哪儿去了? |
[30:29] | – Walking Pumpkin. | 去遛狗 |
[30:30] | – You should get one of the servants to do that. | 这种事让下人做就好 |
[30:32] | Where were you earlier? – I was helping Miss Scott. | -稍早你去哪儿了? -去帮忙史考特小姐 |
[30:35] | – Have you heard from Oscar? | -奥斯卡跟你联络了吗? -没有 |
[30:37] | – No. – What can be keeping him? | 他怎么还没回来? |
[30:39] | – Well, it’s practically impossible to get a cab. | 街上挤满人,几乎招不到车 |
[30:41] | The streets are so busy. – That’s no excuse. | 那不是借口 |
[30:43] | He should be with his family now. | 都什么时候了还不回家 |
[30:45] | I don’t understand either one of you. | 真搞不懂你们两个 |
[30:47] | – Well, I’m here now, Aunt Agnes. | 姑妈,我这不就回来了 |
[30:48] | – What is going on down here? | 楼下是怎么回事啊 |
[30:50] | Your voices are carrying. | 声音都传到楼上了 |
[30:52] | – I was scolding Marian for going out. | 我在骂玛丽安一直往外跑 |
[30:54] | – I wanted her to. | 是我要她去的 |
[30:56] | There’s nothing she can do here. | 她待在家也没事做 |
[30:59] | There’s nothing any of us can do. | 我们谁也帮不上忙 |
[31:02] | – How is he? | 姑丈还好吗? |
[31:05] | – Dr. Lewis has told me to find a clergyman. | 大夫说可以找牧师来了 |
[31:09] | It ought to be Tim, Luke’s curate. | 就找路克的助理牧师提姆 |
[31:14] | – I’ll send John. | 我派约翰去 |
[31:24] | – Gould, please. | 古尔德,求你了。 |
[31:25] | – Either you’re a liar, or you’re a fool. | 你若不是骗子,就是傻子 |
[31:27] | – Gould, please. | 古尔德,请讲讲道理 |
[31:29] | – Gentlemen. Gentlemen! | 各位男士‥ |
[31:31] | I have not given in to the workers’ demands. | 我并没有向劳方投降 |
[31:33] | – You’ve given them a raise! | 你给他们加薪 |
[31:35] | – A modest raise to the tradesmen | 是给了技师短期 |
[31:36] | for a short contract, that is all. | 微幅加薪而已 |
[31:38] | And I have not recognized the union. | 况且我又没有认可工会 |
[31:39] | – But you forced us to follow suit. | 你这是在逼我们跟进 |
[31:41] | – In six months’ time, the tradesmen | 六个月后,技师 |
[31:43] | and the common laborers will be at each other’s throats. | 和工人会反目成仇 |
[31:45] | And we will have the upper hand once again. | 到时又换我们占上风 |
[31:47] | – But in the meantime, we must install | 但我们现在得安装 |
[31:49] | absurd and expensive safety measures in order to compete. | 既蠢又贵的安全措施 才跟得上潮流 |
[31:53] | – A reputation for safety is good for business. | 安全措施有利公司名声 |
[31:55] | We owe them that much. | 这点要求并不过份 |
[31:56] | – But we do not owe them a share of the profits. | 我们没答应公司分红 |
[31:59] | We’re agreed on that. – Say what you like. | 这点双方都同意 -随你怎么说 |
[32:01] | You failed us, Russell. | 罗素 你太令人失望了 |
[32:02] | We were to be united against the union. | 说好资方要团结对抗工会 |
[32:04] | But you’ve gone off on your own. | 你却自行其是 |
[32:06] | – I’ve done what was sensible for my business. | 我的决定是为了我公司好 |
[32:08] | But I’ve set my own agenda. | 而且我自有盘算 |
[32:09] | And I’d advise you to do the same | 劝你们快跟进 |
[32:11] | before your workers set theirs. | 免得工人开始自有盘算 |
[32:13] | – Well, you’re on your own now. | 你自己孤军奋斗吧 |
[32:16] | You put us against you. | 是你逼着我们反目 |
[32:24] | – We must make a plan. | -得想个对策才行 |
[32:26] | – No. First, we wait and see. | -先静观其变 |
[32:29] | – Why are you cooking all that food? | 煮那么多菜干嘛 |
[32:30] | No one has any appetite. | 又没人吃得下? |
[32:32] | – People could be coming by the house when he– | 到时会有很多人来吊‥ |
[32:37] | – It’s a waste, if you ask me. | 我看是在浪费食物 |
[32:39] | – No one asked you, Miss Armstrong. | 没人问你的意见 |
[32:41] | I can’t help the Reverend or Miss Ada, | 我帮不了牧师或艾达小姐 |
[32:44] | but I can cook. | 但我可以做菜 |
[32:46] | – Let me take those. | 给我吧 |
[32:48] | – Jack, take up the tea. | 杰克,送茶点上楼 |
[32:50] | – Yes, Mrs. Bauer. | 是,鲍尔太太 |
[32:57] | – Oscar? | 奥斯卡? |
[32:59] | – Ma’am, Mr. Montgomery. | 是蒙哥马利先生来了 |
[33:02] | – Sorry, Aunt Agnes. It’s only me. | 抱歉了舅妈,是我 |
[33:04] | – Oh, Dashiell. | 达许来啦 |
[33:05] | At least one man in this family heeds my call. | 家里终于有男人肯听我的话 |
[33:08] | – Where is Oscar? You haven’t heard from him? | 奥斯卡呢,还没联络上吗? |
[33:11] | – He’s been held up. | 大概有事耽搁了 |
[33:12] | I’m sure he’ll come as soon as he can. | 我想他会尽快赶回来 |
[33:14] | – John, you delivered the note? | 约翰,传信给他了吗? |
[33:17] | – I gave it to his man, but Mr. Oscar wasn’t home, ma’am. | 我交给家仆了,奥斯卡少爷不在家 |
[33:20] | – Perhaps he’s having trouble getting about the city. | 大概是塞在半路上 |
[33:22] | People are out everywhere, all because of the bridge. | 全城的人都出来看开桥典礼 |
[33:24] | – The truth is, my son is no good in times like these. | 老实说,我儿在此时通常帮不上忙 |
[33:27] | Perhaps that’s why he stays away. | 或许因此选择避开 |
[33:29] | Dashiell, please do sit down. | 达许,快请坐 |
[33:31] | Marian, get him some tea. | 玛丽安,招待他喝茶 |
[33:41] | – Remarkable, don’t you think? | 了不起,你不觉得吗? |
[33:50] | – The money’s gone. | 钱已经领走了 |
[33:52] | They must have cashed the check the moment I left the building. | 八成是我一离开,就去兑现支票 |
[33:57] | – And nobody questioned it? | 银行都没人起疑? |
[33:59] | – They asked the manager. | 行员问过经理 |
[34:01] | But since he knew my writing, and I’d made no complaints, | 但他认得我的签名,我也没通报异状 |
[34:05] | he let it through. | 他就核准了 |
[34:08] | – What about the police? | 报警了吗? |
[34:10] | – I’ll report it, but it could take years, | 会去报,但旷日费时 |
[34:12] | and it’s unlikely I could prove a crime had been committed. | 我也证明不了犯罪行迹 |
[34:15] | They’d say they tried their best, | 警方终会束手无策 |
[34:17] | but the company went under. | 公司早已倒闭 |
[34:22] | – I’m so very sorry. | 真是太不幸了 |
[34:26] | – The sad thing is, I really liked her. | 可悲的是,我是真心喜欢她 |
[34:31] | I’m not pretending I was in love or anything, | 虽然谈不上爱 |
[34:32] | but she was good company. | 但我俩相处愉快, |
[34:35] | She made me laugh. | 总是开心谈笑 |
[34:38] | I really thought we could be happy. | 还真以为我俩能幸福 |
[34:41] | – You mean happy enough. | 你是指得过且过吧 |
[34:46] | Why aren’t you out making merry with the rest of the city? | 怎没跟其他人一样出门凑热闹? |
[34:49] | I never thought you’d be here when I came. | 还以为来会扑个空 |
[34:51] | – I didn’t want to fight with the whole of Manhattan | 我才不想跟全曼哈顿人 |
[34:53] | to get a cab. | 争出租车 |
[34:55] | And now I’m glad I stayed home. | 现在看来,幸好我在家 |
[35:01] | You’re the only person I could think of | 你是唯一会 |
[35:03] | who might be on my side. | 站在我这边的人 |
[35:05] | – I’ll always be on your side, Oscar. | 我永远都会支持你 |
[35:08] | You must know that by now. | 你还不知道吗? |
[35:09] | – Oh, God, John. | 天啊,约翰 |
[35:12] | I’ve ruined everything. | 是我毁了一切 |
[35:27] | – “In my Father’s house are many mansions. | "在我父家有许多住的地方" |
[35:30] | “If it were not so, I would have told you. | "如果没有,我早就对你们说了" |
[35:34] | “I go to prepare a place for you. | "我去是为你们预备地方" |
[35:38] | And if I go and prepare a place…” | "我若去为你们预备地方‥" |
[35:43] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[35:48] | – “If I go and prepare a place for you, | "我若去为你们预备地方" |
[35:52] | “I will come again and receive you unto myself, | "就必再来接你们过去" |
[35:57] | that where I am…” | "好使我在哪里‥" |
[36:00] | – “There ye may be also.” | "你们也在哪里" |
[36:02] | – Cheer up, Tim. | 别难过了,提姆 |
[36:06] | We of all people can be sure I’m going to my reward. | 我们比谁都清楚,我是去领赏赐 |
[36:11] | – And so you are. | 想必如此 |
[36:28] | – Excuse me. The president is arriving. | 打扰了,总统即将抵达 |
[36:30] | I’ll give the first speech, and then it’s you, Mr. Russell. | 由我先致词,接着是罗素先生 |
[36:33] | – Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[36:37] | – I look forward to meeting him. | 我很期待见到总统 |
[36:44] | – Mr. President. – Thank you. | 总统先生‥ -谢谢 |
[36:45] | – Mr. President. – Glad to be here. | 很高兴见到各位‥ |
[36:48] | – Good to have you here, sir. | 很高兴您来这里,先生。 |
[36:50] | – Mr. President. – Welcome, sir, this way. | -总统先生 -欢迎,先生这边请 |
[36:53] | – Welcome to New York, Mr. President. | -欢迎总统莅临纽约 |
[36:54] | – Betsy, Mabel! – I am so glad you’re here. | 贝琪,梅葆 真高兴你能来 |
[36:58] | We sure have missed you. Look at you. | 我们很想你 |
[37:02] | – When I looked over and saw it was Peggy Scott, | 我一看到是佩姬史考特 |
[37:05] | well, you could’ve knocked me over with a feather. | 简直吓了一大跳 |
[37:07] | – It’s been too long. | 真是太久没见了 |
[37:09] | – We’ve been keeping up with your work at the newspaper. | 我们一直在关注你写的报导 |
[37:12] | – Thank you. How are you both? | 谢谢,你们都好吗? |
[37:15] | Mabel, are you and Daniel still together? | 梅葆,你跟丹尼尔还在一起吗? |
[37:17] | – I’d say so, since now they have twins. | 那当然,他们都生双胞胎了 |
[37:19] | – Congratulations. I’m so happy for you both. | 恭喜,真为你们感到高兴 |
[37:22] | – Oh, we’re going to have a party next month.I hope you can join us. | 我们下个月举行宴会,希望你能来 |
[37:25] | – Oh, you must. – I will. | -你一定要来 -我会的 |
[37:27] | And now I can come by way of the Brooklyn Bridge. | 今后跨个桥就能到布鲁克林了 |
[37:30] | – Peggy. – Excuse me, my mother’s calling. | -佩姬 -失陪了,母亲在叫我 |
[37:38] | – Thank you for coming. | 感谢大驾光临 |
[37:40] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[37:42] | – Mr. President, Mr. Roebling, Mrs. Roebling. | 总统先生,罗布林先生夫人 |
[37:45] | May I present His Grace, the Duke of Buckingham. | 容我介绍白金汉公爵阁下 |
[37:49] | – Pleasure to meet you, Mr. President. | 幸会,总统先生 |
[37:50] | – Did you know he was in New York? | -你知道他来纽约吗? |
[37:52] | – Of course not. | -不知道 |
[37:53] | He told me he was arriving the day of the opening. | 他跟我说剧院开幕那天才会来 |
[37:55] | – Yes, I’m glad to be here. | -是,很高兴来这里 |
[37:56] | – Do you think she plans to steal him away? | 她会不会想把公爵偷走? |
[37:58] | – Mrs. Astor won’t steal him. | 阿斯特夫人不会用偷的 |
[38:00] | If she wants him, she’ll buy him fair and square. | 必要的话,她会正大光明用钱收买 |
[38:04] | – Mr. Martin studied at the Institute too. | 马汀先生跟你念同所学院 |
[38:07] | So you have that in common. | 你俩有共同点 |
[38:08] | – How did you find your time there? | 你的求学过程如何? |
[38:10] | – Oh, I loved it. | 很顺利,那里让我立志成为教师 |
[38:11] | The Institute inspired me to become a teacher. | |
[38:13] | I just hope we can keep the schools open, so I can work. | 希望学校继续营运,我才有工作 |
[38:16] | – Well, we’ll continue to expose what the board | "环球报"会继续揭发 教育委员 |
[38:18] | is trying to do in “The Globe.” | 会恶意关闭学校 |
[38:19] | I have an article on it coming out next week. | 我的报导下周会刊出 |
[38:21] | – Oh. I look forward to reading it. | -真等不及看到 |
[38:23] | – Isaiah! | -艾瑟亚‥ |
[38:24] | – Oh, excuse me. | 失陪了 |
[38:26] | I see my cousin. | 表亲在找我 |
[38:32] | – He’s nice-looking. | 他长得很好看 |
[38:36] | – What is it, Mother? | -什么事,妈妈? |
[38:38] | – I’m only going to say this once. | -我只说一次 |
[38:39] | Don’t spend all your time writing | 别把时间花在 |
[38:41] | about other folks’ lives and forget to live your own. | 报导他人 却忘了自己的人生 |
[38:43] | – That’s not what I’m doing. | 我才没有这样 |
[38:46] | Can you just watch the fireworks? | 可否专心看烟火就好? |
[38:48] | It’s why we’re here. | 我们是为此而来 |
[38:49] | – Well, you’re not covering this | 你该不会也要 |
[38:50] | for “The Globe” too, are you? | 报导开桥典礼吧? |
[38:52] | – No, Mr. Fortune assigned another journalist. | 不用,福顿指派其他记者了 |
[38:56] | – Like he had another journalist in Tuskegee? | 就像去塔斯基吉也有其他记者? |
[39:01] | That is what you told me, isn’t it? | 你是这么说的吧? |
[39:06] | – Wasn’t true, was it? | 其实没有其他人吧? |
[39:09] | – No. | 没有 |
[39:12] | – Mr. Fortune is obviously quite taken with you. | 看来福顿先生很喜欢你 |
[39:16] | – He respects my work. | 他尊重我的专业 |
[39:18] | – Which I pray is the extent of it | 希望你俩仅止于公事 |
[39:20] | because I raised you better than that. | 我自认没教坏你 |
[39:22] | – Ah, here they are. | 找到你们了 |
[39:24] | You seem very earnest. | 看你们一脸严肃 |
[39:26] | What are you talking about? | 在谈什么? |
[39:28] | – Peggy’s work at “The Globe.” | 佩姬在报社的工作 |
[39:30] | – That’s very important, of course. | 那自然是要事 |
[39:32] | But I think tonight, we should just admire the bridge | 今晚大家该专心欣赏开桥仪式 |
[39:36] | and give thanks for what man has achieved in our lifetime. | 感怀当今世人的伟大成就 |
[39:40] | – Quite right.- I think that is right. | -您说的是 -我同意 |
[39:43] | 我刚跟李察森先生说‥ | |
[40:07] | – Can I get you anything else? | 还需要些什么吗? |
[40:12] | – What time is it? | 几点了? |
[40:15] | – I don’t know. Why? | 不知道 怎么, |
[40:17] | Do you have an engagement? | 你跟人有约? |
[40:24] | That’s nice. | 真好 |
[40:26] | – What? | 好什么? |
[40:28] | – To see you smile. | 看见你笑 |
[40:33] | – My darling, | 亲爱的‥ |
[40:36] | it’s all right if you | 若你想走就走吧 |
[40:40] | go now. | 没关系的 |
[40:44] | I’ll be fine. | 我会好好的 |
[40:46] | Being loved by you has made me strong. | 有了你的爱,我会坚强起来 |
[40:50] | – Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:54] | – For what? | 谢我什么? |
[40:57] | – For loving me back. | 谢谢你也爱我 |
[41:01] | – How could I not? | 我怎能不爱呢 |
[41:10] | – And now that our distinguished guests | 诚如几位贵宾宣布过了 |
[41:12] | have declared the New York and Brooklyn Bridge open, | 纽约布鲁克林大桥开通 |
[41:16] | we can take the time to acknowledge some | 让我们借机感谢 |
[41:17] | of the great New Yorkers who worked behind the scenes | 几位纽约奇景 |
[41:20] | to create New York’s latest miracle, | 背后的推手 |
[41:22] | including our trustees, most of whom are here tonight. | 包括托管人,今晚大多也在场 |
[41:25] | Mr. Russell, may I invite you to speak? | 罗素先生,请跟大家说几句话 |
[41:29] | – I am glad to be here and to salute all of you. | 很高兴今晚能到场向各位致意 |
[41:33] | But my son, Larry, will speak for me. | 我想请小犬赖瑞代为发言 |
[41:43] | Mr. President, gentlemen, ladies. | 总统先生,及各位嘉宾 |
[41:47] | My father asked me to oversee our interest | 家父令我视察大桥监造事宜 |
[41:49] | in the Brooklyn Bridge project, which I was happy to do. | 我亦乐于从命 |
[41:53] | Like most of you, I too was in awe | 就像各位一样 |
[41:55] | of the grandeur that was once a dream | 我为眼前美梦成真的奇景 |
[41:57] | and has now become a reality. | 感到敬佩不已 |
[41:59] | I know I speak for us all when I thank you, Mr. Roebling, | 我仅代表大家 向罗布林先生的 |
[42:03] | for your vision. | 愿景致谢 |
[42:07] | But what most of you do not know | 然而各位有所不知 |
[42:10] | is that after an early injury, | 罗布林先生早年 |
[42:12] | while Mr. Roebling was out of action, | 因伤不良于行后 |
[42:14] | his wife, Mrs. Roebling, | 他的妻子罗布林夫人 |
[42:17] | a brilliant engineer in her own right, | 本身也是杰出工程师 |
[42:19] | is the one who enabled construction of the bridge | 代夫履行大桥监造的 |
[42:22] | to continue in her husband’s absence. | 重责大任 |
[42:27] | – Yes, that’s right. | 是的,各位没听错 |
[42:29] | Mrs. Roebling took over the creation and finished it. | 罗布林夫人才是实际执行工程者 |
[42:35] | I would like us all to raise a glass to Emily Roebling, | 请举杯向艾蜜莉罗布林致敬 |
[42:38] | to thank her for her enormous contribution to the creation of the Brooklyn Bridge, | 感谢她对布鲁克林大桥的莫大贡献 |
[42:43] | a new wonder of the world. | 世界奇景于焉诞生 |
[42:45] | – Hear, hear. Hear, hear!- Thank you. | 说的好‥-听着 -谢谢 |
[42:57] | – Do you have plans this evening, Mrs. Bruce? | 布鲁斯太太,今晚有计划吗? |
[43:00] | – Plans? To do what? | 计划做什么? |
[43:03] | – Watch the fireworks. | 看烟火啊 |
[43:05] | The paper said it’s to be | 报上说是 |
[43:06] | the largest fireworks display ever. | 史上规模最大的烟火 |
[43:08] | – I’ve only ever seen fireworks once, | 我只看过烟火一次 |
[43:10] | and that was a long time ago. | 很久以前的事了 |
[43:13] | – Would you like to see the Brooklyn Bridge fireworks? | 想不想看布鲁克林大桥烟火? |
[43:17] | – How? | 怎么看? |
[43:18] | – I have a plan, if you’ll join me. | 我自有办法,只要你愿意移驾 |
[43:41] | – I hope you don’t mind I made you the center of my speech. | 希望您不介意我刚才的那番话 |
[43:44] | – Not at all. | 不会的 |
[43:46] | I ought to thank you. | 我该向你道谢才是 |
[43:48] | – Well, at least now you’ll have | 至少现在大家都知道 |
[43:50] | the recognition you deserve. | 该归功于您 |
[43:52] | – I’m afraid these things | 事情恐怕 |
[43:53] | are a little more complicated than that. | 没这么简单 |
[43:56] | They will print that I was a wonderful wife | 最后仍会宣称我是贤妻 |
[43:58] | who served her husband to the best of her abilities. | 尽心尽力帮助丈夫 |
[44:02] | They will ignore the true nature of my contribution. | 只字不提我的实际贡献 |
[44:07] | That will be our secret. | 这是我俩的秘密 |
[44:34] | – What do you think, Mrs. Bruce? | 如何啊,布鲁斯太太 |
[44:36] | Are you pleased or disappointed? | 是喜欢,还是失望? |
[44:38] | – Oh! Pleased, certainly. | 当然是喜欢啊 |
[44:41] | These are the most spectacular fireworks I’ve ever seen. | 这是我看过最壮观的烟火 |
[44:46] | – I thought you’d only seen them once before. | 你不是之前只看过一次? |
[44:51] | Well, I suppose that’s true. | 说的也是啦 |
[44:53] | But I can’t imagine they come much better than this. | 我想很难有更壮观的烟火了 |
[45:19] | – Ah. – It’s incredible. | – 啊。 – 不可思议。 |
[46:11] | Luke. | 路克? |
[46:15] | No. | 不 |
[46:18] | Luke. | 路克? |
[46:19] | No. | 不 |
[46:21] | Luke. | 路克 |
[46:23] | Oh! | 哦 |
[46:28] | Oh, my darling. | 亲爱的 |
[46:57] | – It’s all right. | 没关系。 |
[47:13] | – I’m making my way to the depot shortly. | – 我很快去车站。 |
[47:18] | – Are you sure I can’t stay? | 当真不要我留下? |
[47:20] | – You’ve been kind to keep me company. | 你已经陪了我整晚 |
[47:22] | But you ought to get back to Frances, | 趁法兰丝起床前 |
[47:24] | to be there when she wakes up. | 快回去吧 |
[47:26] | – Will you be all right? – Oh, don’t worry about me. | 你自己可以吗? -不用担心我 |
[47:27] | It’s Aunt Ada who needs our attention.- I’ll call you tomorrow. | 艾达姑妈才是需要关怀的人 我明天再来看你 |
[47:31] | – It is tomorrow. | 现在已经是明天了 |
[47:33] | – Then I’ll see you later today. | 那我晚点来看你 |
[47:43] | – Miss Brook. | 布鲁克小姐 |
[47:47] | – How was your evening? | 昨晚还开心吗? |
[47:48] | – Well, the fireworks were astounding. | 烟火很壮观 |
[47:50] | – Oh? – You must have seen them from here. | 从这里应该也看得到 |
[47:54] | Have you been crying? | 你在哭吗? |
[47:56] | – My uncle died last night. | 我姑丈昨晚过世了 |
[48:00] | I’m so sorry. | 请节哀 |
[48:02] | – Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[48:08] | It doesn’t seem fair, | 太不公平了 |
[48:10] | when Aunt Ada is such a gentle, kind soul. | 艾达姑妈是这么温柔的好人 |
[48:13] | I mean, I wouldn’t even be here if it weren’t for her. | 要不是她我也不会在这里 |
[48:16] | She was the one who sent for me from Pennsylvania. | 当初是她要我从宾州搬来 |
[48:18] | – I should thank her. | 那我该谢谢她 |
[48:21] | – Heaven knows I never would have been able | 没有她我绝对 |
[48:22] | to manage Aunt Agnes without her. | 跟爱格姑妈处不来 |
[48:25] | – Perhaps I should get you inside. | 我送你进屋去吧 |
[48:27] | – Oh, no. I can’t go back in there. | 我现在没办法进去 |
[48:29] | Not just yet. | 待会儿吧 |
[48:34] | – Might a walk help a little? | 散个步应该会好一点 |
[48:36] | Get some air? | 顺便透透气 |
[48:41] | – Thank you, Mr. Russell. You’re a good friend. | 谢谢你,罗素先生 你真是好朋友 |
[48:51] | Will you tell me about the bridge? | -跟我形容一下大桥 |
[48:53] | – It’s magnificent. | -非常壮观‥ |
[48:55] | – Morning, Mr. Griffin. – Hello, Jack. | -葛瑞芬先生早 -杰克,你好 |
[48:58] | Here’s one for you there. | 有一封是给你的 |
[49:16] | – Bridget took up a tray, but I doubt she’s touched it. | 布莉琪端餐上楼,她动都没动 |
[49:20] | – I put it on the table. I didn’t know what else to do. | 我不知该怎么办,只好放餐桌上 |
[49:22] | – Poor Miss Ada. To wake up a widow. | 艾达小姐真可怜 一夜间成了寡妇 |
[49:25] | – I just hope she got some sleep. | 希望她多少睡一点 |
[49:27] | Mrs. Van Rhijn never went to bed. | 凡瑞恩夫人没阖过眼 |
[49:29] | – What can we do? | 我们能怎么做? |
[49:31] | – Our jobs. | 好好工作 |
[49:34] | – Jack? | 杰克,怎么了? |
[49:36] | What is it? – Nothing. | 没事,晚点再说 |
[49:38] | I’ll tell you later. – Tell us now. | 赶快说啦 |
[49:41] | – I got a letter from Mr. Bannister’s friend,Mr. Schubert. | 我收到舒伯特先生寄来的信 |
[49:44] | – And? | 结果呢? |
[49:45] | – He’s made me a member of his Watchmakers’ Association. | 他帮我加入钟表协会 |
[49:47] | So now the patent office will consider my application. | 所以专利局得受理我的申请 |
[49:51] | – Oh, that’s wonderful! | 那真是太好了 |
[49:53] | – Doesn’t mean they’ll approve it. | 又不一定会通过 |
[49:54] | – It’s good news just the same. | 同样是好消息 |
[49:56] | Well done, Jack. | 恭喜你了,杰克 |
[50:08] | – Oscar. | 奥斯卡, |
[50:09] | How long have you been here? | 你来多久了? |
[50:11] | – I’ve just arrived. | 我才刚到 |
[50:13] | – I sent word yesterday that we needed you here. | 昨天需要你时却不见人影 |
[50:15] | – What can I say? | 我没借口可说 |
[50:17] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[50:20] | – You look terrible. | 你看起来很憔悴 |
[50:22] | – John Adams said much the same. | 约翰亚当斯也这么说 |
[50:23] | – And you smell of day-old whiskey. | 而且还全身酒气 |
[50:28] | What is it? | 怎么回事? |
[50:32] | – Something terrible has happened. | 发生了一件天大惨事 |
[50:34] | – Yes, your Uncle Luke has died. | 你姑丈刚过世 |
[50:35] | That is quite enough for one day. | 确实是愁云惨雾 |
[50:37] | – No, I’m afraid this mess is of my doing. | 不是的,是我闯了大祸 |
[50:43] | I’ve made a bad mistake. | 我犯了天大的错 |
[50:45] | – Well, you’re here now, albeit too late to help. | 人来了就好,虽然为时已晚 |
[50:48] | – My mistake involves you, Mother. | 这件事跟您有关 |
[50:50] | – Me? | 跟我有关? |
[50:51] | – I made an investment | 我前不久投资 |
[50:53] | that paid a large dividend in a short time. | 短期内获利颇丰 |
[50:55] | So when I had the chance to invest more, I did. | 一有机会,我又投注了更多钱 |
[50:59] | A great deal more. | 很大的一笔钱 |
[51:01] | – Does this mean you’ve invested the Van Rhijn money? | 意思是动用了凡瑞恩家产? |
[51:05] | Well, how much? | 投资了多少? |
[51:08] | How much of my money did you invest, Oscar? | 你拿了我多少钱去投资? |
[51:12] | – I’ve just learned that the company doesn’t exist. | 后来发现那家公司根本不存在 |
[51:17] | None of it exists. | 全都是假的, |
[51:18] | Casterbridge Pacific, Maud Beaton, | 包括那家公司 |
[51:19] | the woman who led me there– | 甚至是带我去的茉德彼顿 |
[51:21] | – I don’t understand. She’s Aurora’s friend too. | 怎么会呢 她不也是奥萝拉的朋友? |
[51:23] | – She was everyone’s friend, but no one really knew her. | 她是大家的朋友 却没人知道她的来历 |
[51:27] | She lied to us all. | 大家都被她骗了 |
[51:30] | And now she’s taken our money. | 而她骗走了我们的钱 |
[51:33] | – Well, then you have to get it back. | 那去拿回来啊 |
[51:35] | Go and get our money back! | -快去把钱追回来 |
[51:37] | – I can’t! | -拿不回来了 |
[51:38] | There’s no recourse. | 我求助无门 |
[51:40] | The money is gone, and so is she. | 连人带钱都消失无踪了 |
[51:43] | – How much did you lose? | 究竟赔了多少钱? |
[51:47] | – Nearly all of it. | 几乎全部家产 |