时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Not in this Janet. | 不在这个珍妮特里 |
[00:02] | Next. | 下一个 |
[00:08] | What are you waiting for? Do it. | 还等什么啊 动手 |
[00:09] | It’s not that easy. | 没那么简单 |
[00:11] | He lived a whole life and then 802 afterlives, | 他有生前的记忆 还有802个版本”死后”记忆 |
[00:14] | and a second life, then a second afterlife, | 然后被复活的记忆 又一次”死后”记忆 |
[00:17] | and then a third “first” afterlife. | 记忆被消除后的人生记忆 |
[00:18] | His psyche is like a giant bowl of M&M Peep chili. | 他的精神就如一团”糖豆辣椒酱” |
[00:23] | I gotta make sure all the memories go in the right place in the right order. | 我得按顺序将记忆归位 |
[00:26] | Maybe I just start him at the beginning, a full factory reset. | 不如我就直接将他恢复出厂设置吧 |
[00:28] | Man. Janet, can I please have a drink with a lot of alcohol in it? | 天 珍妮特 能给我一杯高浓度酒精饮品吗 |
[00:31] | Here, I saved this from my funeral. | 给 我葬礼上没舍得喝 |
[00:33] | It’s called a Duval Ditchwater. | 这叫”迪瓦尔之沟水” |
[00:34] | It’s Midori, Coffee-Mate, and ditch water. | 里面有蜜瓜利口酒 咖啡伴侣 还有沟水 |
[00:37] | – I’ll get you a margarita. – Yeah, that sounds better. | -我给你拿杯玛格丽特鸡尾酒 -这才像话 |
[00:38] | It’s not. Seriously, try this. | 才不是 你尝尝我这杯特饮 |
[00:40] | Okay, here we go– | 好 来吧 |
[01:01] | – He has your eyes. – And your smile. | -他眼睛像你 -笑起来像你 |
[01:03] | – Now he just needs a name. – Big decision. | -要给他起个名字了 -重大决定 |
[01:06] | – How about Chidi? – I like that. | -奇迪怎么样 -很不错 |
[01:09] | Do you like it, Chidi? | 你喜欢吗 奇迪 |
[01:11] | Or would you like a different name? | 还是要再起一个名字呢 |
[01:15] | Looks like he has a tummy ache. | 他好像肚子疼了 |
[01:18] | Chidi. | 奇迪 |
[01:25] | You’re not listening to me. | 你怎么不听我说 |
[01:26] | Everything always has to be your way. | 你的话永远都是圣旨 |
[01:28] | And what is the one right way? | 因为我说的都对啊 |
[01:30] | I mean, how many times have I told you this? | 我都跟你说过多少回了 |
[01:32] | I thought this was what you wanted. | 这不是你想这样吗 |
[01:33] | No, it’s obviously what you want. | 不 显然是你想这样 |
[01:35] | You’re just angry that your book was rejected. | 没人出版你的书 你才这么暴躁 |
[01:37] | How dare you bring that up again? | 你真是哪壶不开提哪壶 |
[01:39] | You’re always at the university! | 学校都快成你家了 |
[01:41] | How about use some interest in someone who didn’t die 200 years ago? | 天天研究两百多年前的死人 不如关心一下活人 |
[01:44] | I don’t know how much longer I can keep this up. | 我真不知道自己可以撑多久 |
[01:47] | We need to go back to Nigeria. | 我们得回尼日利亚 |
[01:48] | No, we are not going. My family is here. | 不能回去 我家在这边 |
[01:50] | And we did this for your career. | 为了发展你的事业 我们才来美国 |
[01:56] | Good morning, Chidi. | 早上好 奇迪 |
[01:57] | Would you like some breakfast? | 你想吃早餐吗 |
[01:58] | I have a presentation. Here’s a syllabus. | 我要给你们上堂课 这是课本 |
[02:01] | Take one and pass them on. | 你们分一下 |
[02:03] | My lecture will take approximately 55 minutes. | 我这堂课大概需要55分钟 |
[02:06] | Let’s begin, shall we? | 我们开始吧 |
[02:09] | In conclusion, there is one clear answer, | 结论就是 答案显而易见 |
[02:12] | and it’s that the two of you should stay married. | 你们该继续维持这段婚姻 |
[02:15] | Questions? | 有问题吗 |
[02:18] | That was clear | 你说得清清楚楚 |
[02:21] | and persuasive, | 头头是道 |
[02:22] | and you have made a strong case. | 你言之有理 |
[02:24] | Yes. Well argued. | 没错 有理有据 |
[02:25] | Better than some of my grad students. | 比我教出来的研究生都要厉害 |
[02:28] | You should get ready for school. | 你该收拾好去上学了 |
[02:29] | – I’ll take you. – We’ll both take you. | -我送你 -我们一起送 |
[02:33] | It worked? | 你劝服了吗 |
[02:34] | Perfectly. | 特别顺利 |
[02:36] | They’re happy again, Uzo. | 他们又恢复幸福了 乌左 |
[02:37] | They’re even talking about getting me a puppy. | 他们甚至还商量让我养一只宠物 |
[02:39] | But more importantly, I proved once and for all | 但重点是 我再一次证明了 |
[02:42] | that you can always find the answer. | 凡事总有解决之法[答案] |
[02:44] | – The answer to what? – To anything. | -什么之法 -万事之法 |
[02:47] | Every problem has an answer. | 每一个问题都有解决之法[答案] |
[02:49] | If you just read enough books and think hard enough, | 只要饱读诗书 努力思考 |
[02:51] | you can figure out the answer to any question. | 就能琢磨出每一件事的真谛[答案] |
[02:54] | I know you’re really smart, but that sounds wrong. | 我知道你聪慧过人 但这一点肯定不是这样 |
[02:56] | Children, please take your seats. | 孩子们 就坐 |
[02:59] | Here’s a perfect example. | 这是最好的例子了 |
[03:00] | Where to sit? What’s the answer? | 坐哪里 “答案”是什么 |
[03:02] | Obviously, we want to be back by the pencil sharpener | 显然 我想坐后面 离卷笔刀更近 |
[03:06] | but in the front I can see the blackboard better. | 但坐在前面 看黑板更清楚 |
[03:09] | Or by the door to get a nice breeze. | 坐在门边 微风吹拂很舒服 |
[03:11] | – Chidi. – Just hang on. | -奇迪 -等一下 |
[03:13] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[03:15] | No. | 这下难选了 |
[03:24] | I still say Professor Lindeman was a fool to abandon Chidi. | 我还是觉得林德曼教授离开奇迪是她的损失 |
[03:27] | He has a brilliant mind. | 他智慧过人 |
[03:29] | One day he will use it to solve the world’s biggest problems. | 总有一天 他会用智慧解决世上最难的问题 |
[03:32] | Is this enough cheese? | 这些奶酪够了吗 |
[03:33] | I hope this is enough cheese. | 希望我这些够了 |
[03:34] | There’s sheep, goat, and cow’s milk. | 有绵羊奶酪 山羊奶酪 牛乳奶酪 |
[03:37] | – I can run and get more. – No. This is plenty of cheese. | -我可以再去拿一些 -这些就够多了 |
[03:40] | I have to ask, has Chidi always been so thoughtful? | 我问一句 奇迪一直想得这么面面俱到吗 |
[03:44] | Ever since he was a child. | 他从小就这样了 |
[03:45] | I’m sure you’ve heard about his first great lecture. | 你肯定听过他第一堂育人之课 |
[03:48] | No. Not that old story again. | 算了 都是陈年旧事了 |
[03:50] | It’s so embarrassing. | 多难为情 |
[03:53] | Go ahead. | 你想讲就讲吧 |
[03:53] | A long time ago, | 很久之前 |
[03:54] | Emeka and I were going through a rough patch, | 有一段时间 我和艾莫卡感情出问题了 |
[03:57] | and our little Chidi, at eight years old, | 我们八岁的小宝贝 奇迪 |
[04:00] | comes in with a one-hour lecture. | 给我们上了一个小时的课 |
[04:02] | All about why we should stay married, | 内容是我们为何不该离婚 |
[04:04] | and all these years later, | 这么多年过去了 |
[04:06] | here we still are. | 我们还在一起 |
[04:08] | It’s the reason I got into philosophy. | 所以我才走上了哲学这条路 |
[04:10] | The biggest questions and the biggest answers, | 人世间各种真谛[答案] |
[04:12] | you just gotta find them. | 必须要追寻 |
[04:14] | I mean, I love philosophy, too, | 我也很喜欢哲学 |
[04:16] | but I’d argue that, say, | 但依我愚见 |
[04:17] | theoretical physics presents bigger questions than philosophy. | 理论物理学更能探寻宇宙真谛 |
[04:24] | Do you really think that? | 你真这么觉得呢 |
[04:26] | Should I switch to physics? | 我该转到物理领域吗 |
[04:28] | So obviously my parents loved you. | 我爸妈对你很满意 |
[04:33] | I’m so glad. They’re great. | 真好 他们人很好 |
[04:36] | We have to break up. | 我们得分手 |
[04:38] | Wait. What? Why? | 啥 为什么啊 |
[04:40] | I’ve been feeling this way for a while now. | 我有这种想法很久了 |
[04:42] | It’s just– why are we together? | 我们为什么交往啊 |
[04:45] | Because it– it makes sense. | 因为我们很合适 |
[04:47] | I mean, you like Kant. I like Kant. | 你喜欢康德 我也喜欢康德 |
[04:49] | We’re not a book group. | 我们又不是书友 |
[04:50] | I mean, but we’re not, not a book group. | 不是”书友” 胜似”书友”嘛 |
[04:53] | Okay, if there’s a problem with our relationship, | 如果我们恋情告急 |
[04:56] | there is an answer that will solve it. | 可以找到解决之法[答案] |
[04:59] | – So, let’s hit the library. – You wanna use philosophy? | -我们去图书馆找答案吧 -你想用哲学解决吗 |
[05:01] | How about David Hume? | 想一下大卫·休谟 |
[05:02] | “Reason is and ought only to be a slave to the passions.” | “理性是激情的奴隶” |
[05:02] | 出自休谟《人性论》P453第一段末尾 他认为”纯理性决断”并不存在 | |
[05:06] | You know, emotions, desires, feelings. | 情绪 欲望 感觉 |
[05:10] | – Do you have any of those? – Of course I have feelings. | -你有这些吗 -我当然有感觉了 |
[05:13] | I– I have strong feelings for– for you | 我对你有强烈的感觉 |
[05:16] | and– and what we have, | 以及我们之间的感情 |
[05:18] | and right now, I will show you… | 现在 我就向你证明 |
[05:25] | How Kant refuted most of Hume’s central theses. | 康德如何辩驳休谟的大部分中心理论 |
[05:29] | – My God. – He– | -受不了 -他… |
[05:41] | So, what do you think? | 你觉得怎么样 |
[05:42] | I think it’s 3,600 pages. | 我觉得这是3600页啊 |
[05:46] | I have a job, Chidi. I have a family. | 我有工作 奇迪 还有家庭 |
[05:48] | Until I had to read this, I had a will to live. | 我都这么大岁数了 你这是要逼死我啊 |
[05:51] | This work is an insane, tangled web of inscrutability. | 你的作品错综复杂 晦涩难懂 |
[05:55] | In the fun, “Grad students will analyze this for centuries” way? | 意思是会流芳百世供人鉴赏 像”红学”那样吗 |
[06:00] | No, in the Unabomber way. | 不 像”大学炸弹客”那样人神共愤 |
[06:02] | Okay, well, I’ll write my way out of the maze. | 好 我会写得再明白一些 |
[06:05] | I’ll re-outline the middle chapters, do more research– | 重新构思中间章节 再搜索一些资料 |
[06:07] | No, Chidi. | 不 奇迪 |
[06:08] | You can’t answer every question every philosopher has ever asked, | 你没法回答历代哲学家提出的每一个问题 |
[06:12] | so what in these pages do you care about? | 这些内容里 你最在意哪一个 |
[06:15] | – All of it. Equally. – Shut up. | -每个问题都同等重要 -你别说话了 |
[06:18] | – But– – Shut up, shut up. | -但是 -闭嘴 闭嘴 |
[06:19] | – Should I– – Shut up, shut up. | -我该… -求你别说了 闭嘴 |
[06:23] | The greatest works of modern philosophy are emotional. | 当代哲学著作都很感性 |
[06:27] | They make an argument about how the world is and ought to be. | 书中论及世界格局及其发展原貌 |
[06:31] | There is a great mind at work in here, | 你呈现的想法很精彩 |
[06:34] | but where is the heart? | 但灵魂要旨呢 |
[06:37] | Where are the guts? | 精髓所在呢 |
[06:39] | I understand. I do. | 我懂 真懂了 |
[06:41] | So I’m going to go home and compose a short paper for you, | 我打算回家给你写一篇短论文 |
[06:47] | arguing that I should continue working on this longer paper. | 辩驳我如何该继续这篇超长论文 |
[06:50] | Shut up! | 你闭嘴吧 |
[06:55] | Wow, tough week. | 这周真惨啊 |
[06:57] | Sorry, pal. | 替你难过 |
[06:59] | I mean, honestly, I don’t know what hurts more; | 老实说 我不知道哪个更伤人 |
[07:01] | my thesis meeting or Allesandra. | 论文被怼 还是被艾莉珊德拉甩掉 |
[07:04] | She was brilliant and– and funny. | 她冰雪聪明 风趣幽默 |
[07:07] | I thought that maybe she was the answer. | 我还以为她会是我寻求的”真谛”[真爱] |
[07:11] | Some things in life don’t have an answer. | 人生在世 不是凡事都有解[答案] |
[07:14] | Isn’t that what Allesandra was saying? | 这不正是艾莉珊德拉所言吗 |
[07:16] | Isn’t that what your advisor said, too? | 不正是你导师所言吗 |
[07:19] | Isn’t that what everyone who knows you | 这不正是你周围所有人 |
[07:20] | has said to you at every waking moment of your life? | 每一天都这样跟你说的话吗 |
[07:22] | Okay, I can figure this out. | 我能想到办法 |
[07:23] | I just need to find the answer for how to impress Allesandra, | 我就是得想出重获艾莉珊德拉芳心的办法[答案] |
[07:27] | a separate answer for how to impress my advisor, | 另一个打动我导师的办法[答案] |
[07:29] | or ideally, one answer for how to impress them both. | 或是一石二鸟 同时打动两人的办法 |
[07:33] | You know what this calls for. | 这就需要召唤什么啊 |
[07:34] | – Don’t say it. – A Venn diagram. | -打住 -文氏图 |
[07:36] | No Venn diagram. | 别扯”文氏图”了 |
[07:37] | If you won’t listen to other people, | 如果不听别人劝 |
[07:40] | do you at least hear what you’re saying? | 你至少听听自己的想法多清奇吧 |
[07:42] | I swear, sometimes it is literally impossible… | 有时候 跟你做朋友 |
[07:44] | To be your friend. | 就像下凡历劫啊 |
[07:45] | You’re incapable of making a single decision. | 你连一个简单决定都做不了 |
[07:47] | Look, what’s the harm in taking a few extra minutes to find the perfect– | 但多花几分钟找一家最棒的酒吧 又不会死人 |
[07:57] | Chidi, come on in. | 奇迪 进来吧 |
[08:00] | Unless you’d be more comfortable out here. | 除非你待在外面更自在 |
[08:03] | Well, I feel like you want me to– | 你是想让我… |
[08:06] | I tell you what. I’ll decide for you. | 这样吧 我帮你决定 |
[08:08] | – Come on in. – Great. | -进来吧 -太好了 |
[08:16] | Watch this. | 瞧好了 |
[08:17] | Your fridge chooses your breakfast for you. | 你的冰箱为你选择早餐 |
[08:20] | – Oatmeal and almond milk. – Extra filmy. | -燕麦片和杏仁奶 -特别好 |
[08:23] | You don’t even have to decide. | 你都不用去做选择 |
[08:24] | It just knows what you want, | 了解你一切所需 |
[08:25] | and for all your other requests, | 如果你有其它需求 |
[08:28] | – Janet? – Hi there. | -珍妮特 -你好 |
[08:31] | Janet knows the answers to all the questions in the universe. | 珍妮特知晓宇宙一切真谛 |
[08:35] | Ask her anything. | 你随便问 |
[08:37] | I mean, which answer do I want? | 我要问些什么呢 |
[08:39] | I mean, something profound, obviously. | 显然要问些深奥的问题 |
[08:41] | It shouldn’t be trivial or salacious. | 不能太无关紧要 不能太没节操 |
[08:44] | Or maybe I should start small and maybe ramp up. | 还是该从简单问起 慢慢增加难度 |
[08:47] | Or– I can’t– | 我决定不了 |
[08:50] | – What’s the biggest fish? – The whale shark. | -世上最大的鱼是什么 -鲸鲨 |
[08:53] | Cool. I’m sorry. | 了解 抱歉 |
[08:55] | I’ll have better questions later. | 我稍后会问些有水准的问题 |
[08:56] | You don’t need to apologize, Chidi. | 不用道歉 奇迪 |
[08:58] | All questions are equally important to me. | 对我来说 每个问题都同等重要 |
[09:00] | Well then you and I are gonna get along great. | 看来你跟我很合拍啊 |
[09:05] | I need to go welcome some more residents. | 我得去迎接其他”居民”了 |
[09:07] | Are there any other questions I can answer for you before I go? | 我走之前 你还有问题吗 |
[09:10] | Well, yes. Is– is there a relationship equivalent to the oatmeal? | 有”燕麦片”这种想要就能有的恋爱关系吗 |
[09:16] | Is there, like, a sort of– | 世上存在… |
[09:18] | Soul mate? Yes. | 灵魂伴侣 存在 |
[09:21] | Every person in the Good Place has one perfect match. | “善地”里的每个人都有一个完美伴侣 |
[09:25] | In an hour, | 一个小时后 |
[09:26] | come on by the little house that looks like a face | 来那个长得像人脸的小屋 |
[09:29] | and get the answer to your ultimate question. | 寻获你的人生真谛[真爱答案] |
[09:32] | Her name’s Eleanor. | 她叫埃莉诺 |
[09:43] | Man. Remember this? | 天 记得这张吗 |
[09:46] | Yeah, yeah. | 记得 |
[09:47] | It was eight minutes ago. | 八分钟之前发生的事 |
[09:49] | So you just proposed to Janet, and you said yes. | 你就直接跟珍妮特求婚了 你就直接答应了 |
[09:53] | And now you’re married. | 于是你们就结婚了 |
[09:55] | You know, I thought saying that out loud would make it less insane, | 我以为讲出来 就不会那么惊爆脑回路了 |
[09:58] | but it did not. | 但还是很惊爆啊 |
[09:59] | Thanks, homie. | 多谢 哥 |
[10:00] | If you’d like to get us a present, | 如果你想送我们结婚礼物 |
[10:02] | we’re registered at me. | 可以让我变出来 再送给我 |
[10:05] | Jason, I think I need your help. | 杰森 有事找你帮忙 |
[10:07] | – Can I ask you something? – Cool. | -我能问个问题吗 -没问题 |
[10:08] | No one’s ever asked me for advice before, | 从来没人找我支招 |
[10:10] | and you’re a high school principal. | 而你还是个高中校长 |
[10:11] | College professor. | 大学教授 |
[10:13] | Who– who told you how to do this? | 谁教会你这些 |
[10:15] | Like, how can you just make a decision this big? | 你怎么能这么轻易做出重大选择 |
[10:18] | Chidi, here’s the thing with stuff. | 奇迪 人活着是这样 |
[10:22] | You can look at a problem from every angle | 你可以从各个角度琢磨一个问题 |
[10:24] | and drive yourself crazy, | 让自己抓狂 |
[10:25] | but sometimes, you just gotta huck a Molotov cocktail at a drone | 但有时 你也可以朝无人机扔一个燃烧弹 |
[10:28] | and see what happens. | 看结果怎样 |
[10:30] | Is what happens that the drone blows up? | 结果不就是无人机爆炸吗 |
[10:32] | Usually. | 通常如此 |
[10:33] | I mean, where I’m from, most things blow up eventually, | 我成长的环境中 大部分事物最终都会爆炸 |
[10:35] | so I learned that when something dope comes along, | 我领悟到 美好事物来临 |
[10:38] | you gotta lock it down. | 一定要把握住 |
[10:40] | If you’re always frozen in fear and taking too long to think about what to do, | 如果因恐惧而一直不采取行动 想办法想太久 |
[10:43] | you’ll miss your opportunity | 就会错失良机 |
[10:44] | and maybe get sucked into the propeller of a swamp boat. | 就可能会被卷进沼泽船的螺旋桨 |
[10:47] | I just– I don’t think I’ll ever be the kind of person who just acts. | 我好像永远没法直接采取行动 |
[10:52] | I mean, I can’t just open a door | 我没法直接打开一扇门 |
[10:54] | and walk through without knowing what’s on the other side. | 毫无准备 就走进未知世界 |
[10:59] | Even with eternity to try, | 就算我有的是时间尝试 |
[11:00] | I just don’t think that can happen. | 我也永远无法做到 |
[11:03] | Well, I never thought I’d ever be able to get married. | 我也从没想过我能够嫁出去 |
[11:05] | I thought I was too old. | 我还以为自己太老了 |
[11:07] | I’m infinity, | 毕竟我永生不死 |
[11:08] | but strange things happen in the afterlife. | 但死后世界 一切皆有可能 |
[11:17] | We figured it out once. | 我们识破了一次 |
[11:18] | We can do it again, | 就能识破第二次 |
[11:19] | because you know what, Michael? | 因为是这样 迈克尔 |
[11:21] | You’re basic– | 你不上档次 |
[11:23] | This is your soul mate, Salamasina. | 这是你的灵魂伴侣 撒拉玛希娜 |
[11:25] | Meet your soul mate, Guan-yin. | 这是你的灵魂伴侣 尹莞 |
[11:27] | Tahani. | 塔哈妮 |
[11:28] | Karen. | 凯伦 |
[11:28] | Esmerelda, you don’t bring knives to a friendly game night. | 艾斯梅拉达 你不能带着刀来”游戏之夜” |
[11:32] | I mean, who does that? | 谁会这么丧心病狂啊 |
[11:33] | The prepared. | 有准备的人 |
[11:35] | Chidi, Esmerelda. | 奇迪 艾斯梅拉达 |
[11:37] | It’s your turn. | 该你们了 |
[11:41] | Blood. Seas of blood. | 血 血海 |
[11:43] | Enemies. 1,000 years of darkness. | 敌人 千年黑暗 |
[11:47] | – Nightmares. – Blood. | -噩梦 -血 |
[11:49] | Ennui. | 索然无味 |
[11:50] | Lamenting the unanswerable passage of time. | 对时光流逝的哀叹 |
[11:53] | Fire and blood! | 火与血 |
[11:56] | You fool! It was birthday parties. | 你太笨了 是生日派对 |
[11:59] | – Birthday parties? – These trivialities demean me. | -生日派对 -这种无聊游戏 有失我的身份 |
[12:01] | I must away and tend to my ravens. | 我要回去照料乌鸦 先行告退了 |
[12:06] | Well– you never know what’ll happen at game night. | 游戏之夜 真是处处惊喜啊 |
[12:09] | Let’s continue. | 我们继续吧 |
[12:12] | I think I can find you another partner. | 我给你再找个小伙伴 |
[12:17] | Tahani. Thank you so much. | 塔哈妮 太感谢了 |
[12:19] | That ended up being one of the best nights I’ve had since we got here. | 这是我来到”善地”后 最开心的一个晚上了 |
[12:23] | You and Eleanor made a good pair. | 你和埃莉诺真是天作之合 |
[12:24] | She really tore through that round of charades. | 她完虐了这个猜谜游戏啊 |
[12:26] | Well, I’m pretty sure she was reading the cards off the reflection in my glasses, | 我肯定她只是从我眼镜上看到答案而已 |
[12:30] | but yeah, that was amazing. | 但确实很棒 |
[12:36] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你一件事吗 |
[12:37] | Tonight could have been a real disaster. | 今晚差点就搞砸了 |
[12:39] | How do you have the confidence to just swoop in | 你是怎么做到如此自信接手 |
[12:42] | and so elegantly take charge of a whole group of strangers? | 组织好一群陌生人 彰显大将之风 |
[12:47] | Honestly, the confidence comes from failure. | 老实说 自信源于失败 |
[12:50] | I’ve thrown my fair share of disastrous gatherings. | 我也办过很多次糟糕的聚会 |
[12:54] | Remind me to tell you someday about Timothée Chalamet’s bar mitzvah. | 等哪天有空 我给你讲讲”甜茶”的”受诫礼” |
[12:57] | But you live through the failure and you learn from it. | 但人总在失败中成长 吸取前车之鉴 |
[13:02] | Yeah, I just– I can’t operate that way. | 我就没办法做到这样 |
[13:04] | I can’t make a decision unless I’m sure I’m right. | 我只有确定自己正确时 才能做出选择 |
[13:07] | Hey, Chidi, you’re a philosophy professor, right? | 奇迪 你是个哲学教授吧 |
[13:10] | Any chance you’d wanna grab a drink and talk about ethics? | 你想不想喝一杯 聊聊伦理道德呢 |
[13:13] | It’s a subject I’ve recently needed to learn about immediately. | 我最近急需学习一下这方面知识 |
[13:17] | Sounds great. | 没问题 |
[13:19] | – Let me get my coat. – Awesome. | -我去拿外套 -棒 |
[13:20] | By the way, I wasn’t cheating before. | 话说 我之前没作弊 |
[13:22] | Or eavesdropping just now. | 我刚才也没偷听你们说话 |
[13:26] | When we started three months ago, | 三个月前 刚开始学习时 |
[13:28] | I never thought I’d get so into philosophy that we’d study past midnight. | 我没想到我会这么喜欢跟你在午夜后学习哲学 |
[13:33] | Esmerelda must be wondering where her soul mate is. | 艾斯梅拉达肯定好奇她的灵魂伴侣跑哪去了 |
[13:36] | No, she’s off in her aviary. | 不会 她住进鸟舍了 |
[13:38] | Sometimes I think her ravens are her real soul mate. | 我有时觉得乌鸦才是她的灵魂伴侣 |
[13:41] | I’m not kidding. | 我不是开玩笑 |
[13:42] | Actually, you should see her with them. | 你若看到 就懂了 |
[13:44] | It’s intense, and if I’m being honest, sexually charged. | 她和乌鸦激情四射 简直爱欲满满 |
[13:47] | Anyways, this has been fun as alway– | 总之 跟你一如既往很开心 |
[13:55] | What was– why did you– | 这是什么情况 为什么亲我 |
[13:58] | Who was it? | 这是谁啊 |
[14:00] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[14:01] | I’ll take those one at a time, I guess. | 我一个个回答 |
[14:05] | It was a kiss, | 这是一个吻 |
[14:07] | I did it because I wanted to, | 因为我想亲你 |
[14:09] | and as far as who it was, it was me, weirdo. | 至于是谁 是我啊 小傻瓜 |
[14:13] | Eleanor, I– I have a soul mate. | 埃莉诺 我有灵魂伴侣 |
[14:15] | Yeah, and you’re not into her at all. | 你根本都不喜欢她 |
[14:18] | I mean, come on. | 别傻了 |
[14:19] | There is no way you’re supposed to spend eternity | 你何必跟一个睡在大鸟巢的女人 |
[14:22] | with a woman who sleeps in a giant nest. | 一起共度永生呢 |
[14:25] | Look, I– I know she and I are in a rough patch, | 我知道我和她感情不太好 |
[14:28] | but we just have to find the answer for how to get out of it, | 但只要找到解决办法[答案] 就好了 |
[14:31] | like my parents. | 就像我父母一样 |
[14:32] | You remember that story I told you about my parents. | 你记得我跟你说过父母那件事吧 |
[14:34] | Yeah, I don’t think that story is as cute as you think it is, man. | 记得 但这件事没你想得那么童话 |
[14:37] | I mean, I’m sure you were cute, you know? | 你确实很像童话王子 |
[14:40] | Big melon head and a little neck tie. | 超可爱的大脑袋 戴着小领结 |
[14:44] | But that moment, woof. | 但那一幕也太扎心了 |
[14:46] | That’s too much to put on an eight-year-old. | 一个八岁小孩不该承受这么多 |
[14:49] | I kinda wish cute little Chidi just got to be a kid | 我倒是希望小奇迪做个天真小孩就好 |
[14:52] | rather than a miniature professor | 而不是小教授上身 |
[14:54] | trying to solve all the world’s problems. | 想办法解决世上所有难题 |
[14:56] | Well, but… | 但是 |
[14:58] | living that way led me to philosophy, | 这种生活方式让我走上了哲学之路 |
[15:00] | and, sure, I was written up in a medical journal | 我确实被写进医学期刊了 |
[15:03] | as the youngest person ever with a stress-induced ulcer, | 作为史上最年轻患上应激性溃疡的患者 |
[15:06] | but I got into the Good Place, | 但我最终进入”善地”了 |
[15:08] | so if you don’t mind, | 如果没别的事了 |
[15:10] | I’m gonna take a second to think about | 我要去想一下 |
[15:12] | what I owe my universe-approved soul mate and– | 我如何亏欠宇宙赐给我的灵魂伴侣 |
[15:15] | and not just, | 而不是 |
[15:18] | make out with you. | 跟你亲热 |
[15:20] | Okay, man. | 好吧 |
[15:21] | Kiss rescinded. | 撤销接吻 |
[15:22] | We’ll just study like two platonic nerds | 继续保持”友达以上”关系一起学习 |
[15:26] | until Michael discovers me | 直到迈克尔拆穿我 |
[15:28] | or until Esmerelda turns me into a toad with her magic amulet | 或者艾斯梅拉达用魔咒将我变成蟾蜍 |
[15:32] | because she can see that we’re obviously into each other. | 因为她看得出我们两情相悦 |
[15:37] | Sorry you got an actual human being instead of your true soul mate, | 你就是找了个普通人 而不是真正的灵魂伴侣 |
[15:40] | a library cart full of damp saltines. | 一个装满潮湿梳打饼干的图书馆手推车 |
[15:43] | You are unbelievable! | 你无理取闹啊 |
[15:45] | I don’t know what I did… | 我上辈子是做了什么 |
[15:47] | To deserve you. | 今生遇上了你 |
[15:49] | Believe it, baby. I’m all yours. | 这不是梦 宝贝 我是你的人 |
[15:52] | At least until something better comes along. | 至少是遇上更好的人之前 |
[15:54] | For me. | 我遇上 |
[15:56] | You’ve pretty much topped out. | 你已经遇上最好的我了 |
[15:58] | – You okay? – No. | -你没事吧 -有事 |
[15:59] | I have to give Michael a new draft of my thesis and I’m a mess. | 我得交给迈克尔一份新理论手稿 可我毫无头绪 |
[16:03] | – Will you help me? – Woof! You want my help with philosophy? | -你能帮帮我吗 -撞邪啊 竟然找我帮忙哲学问题 |
[16:06] | You must be in rough shape. | 你真是六神无主了 |
[16:08] | I mean, yes, of course. | 当然没问题了 |
[16:10] | I’m here for you. What do you need? | 我就在你身边 怎么帮你 |
[16:12] | I need someone to help guide me, morally speaking, | 我需要道德指引 |
[16:16] | and I think I need it to be you. | 而这个人必须是你 |
[16:21] | There’s a real possibility that I’m in love with you again, | 我很有可能再次爱上了你 |
[16:24] | here on this plane of existence, | 就在这个时空里 |
[16:27] | today, now. | 就在此刻 |
[16:32] | We found each other before, hundreds of times. | 我们俩之前无数次寻到了彼此 |
[16:35] | We can do it again. | 我们这次也会再次相爱 |
[16:42] | Bye, Chidi. | 再见 奇迪 |
[16:46] | You’re sure you want to do this? | 你确定想这样做吗 |
[16:48] | I finally make up my mind about one damn thing, | 我终于能够做出一个决定了 |
[16:50] | and you try to talk me out of it? | 你想劝我别这么做吗 |
[16:53] | I’m sure. | 我确定 |
[16:56] | Can I ask you a question? | 我能问个问题吗 |
[16:59] | Soul mates aren’t real, are they? | 世上不存在灵魂伴侣吧 |
[17:04] | Chidi, in all honesty, I don’t know, | 奇迪 老实说 我也不知道 |
[17:06] | but I don’t think so. | 但我觉得不存在 |
[17:08] | I knew what you expected to find when you got here; | 我知道你来这里后 迫切想要寻到 |
[17:11] | answers. | “真谛”[真爱] |
[17:13] | Also, if I recall from your file, | 还有 你档案上还写着 |
[17:16] | a magic blackboard? | 一个魔法黑板 |
[17:17] | One that anticipates your lesson flow. | 一个预测授课方向的黑板 |
[17:19] | That’s the dream. | 做梦都想要啊 |
[17:21] | But mostly you wanted answers. | 但你最主要还是想找寻”真谛” |
[17:24] | The soul mate one, in particular. | 特别是”真爱” 灵魂伴侣 |
[17:27] | So, I used it to torture you, | 于是我利用这点来折磨你了 |
[17:30] | which, again, sorry. | 再次跟你道歉 |
[17:34] | If soul mates do exist, they’re not found. | 若灵魂伴侣真存在 也绝非寻得 |
[17:38] | They’re made. | 而是努力而来 |
[17:39] | People meet, they get a good feeling, | 两个人 相识 相知 相爱 |
[17:42] | and then they get to work building a relationship, | 一起用心经营起这段感情 |
[17:45] | like your parents. | 就像你父母 |
[17:48] | They didn’t magically stay together because you proved they should. | 他们不是因为你摆出几条理论 就神奇和好了 |
[17:54] | It wasn’t my logic or my representation. | 不是我的理论 也不是我上了一课 |
[17:57] | It was the feeling they got watching me– | 而是看着我 他们感觉 |
[18:01] | this scared little kid telling them that he needed them. | 这个惊慌的孩子 他需要父母 |
[18:06] | It was also what you made them remember. | 也是因为你唤起了他们的感觉 |
[18:09] | You know, they loved each other. | 他们彼此相爱 |
[18:10] | Sometimes people forget. | 人有时总会忘记这一点 |
[18:12] | You reminded them of what they already had. | 你让他们意识到 其实彼此相爱 |
[18:15] | It convinced them to go to counseling. | 这才使他们去做婚姻辅导 |
[18:17] | I never knew they went to counseling. | 我都不知道这件事 |
[18:19] | Yeah, kids are idiots. | 孩子都很傻很天真 |
[18:20] | If they knew half the stuff their folks were up to, | 如果孩子们知道大人一半的想法 |
[18:22] | they’d lose their minds. | 估计会疯掉 |
[18:25] | Turns out life isn’t a puzzle that can just be solved one time | 生活就是一团乱麻 没法一次解决 |
[18:30] | and– and it’s done. | 一劳永逸 |
[18:33] | You wake up every day and you solve it again. | 每天都要重新面对生活难题 |
[18:38] | Terribly inefficient. | 耗时又麻烦 |
[18:43] | Wow, what a time to learn. | 我才领悟到这个道理啊 |
[18:49] | Can you give me a second? | 你能等我一下吗 |
[19:01] | – Janet? – Hi there. | -珍妮特 -你好 |
[19:05] | Can I have a pen and some paper? | 你能给我一支笔和纸吗 |
[19:13] | I don’t know if I’ll see you again, | 不知我们是否还会再见面 |
[19:15] | or what I’ll remember if I do, | 也不知再见是否还能记得你 |
[19:18] | but if we do cross paths again… | 但若有缘再相见 |
[19:22] | Sometime, somewhere… | 无论何时 何地 |
[19:27] | – Can you give this back to me? – Of course. | -你能把这张纸条再给我吗 -当然 |
[19:40] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[19:50] | Hi there, Chidi. | 你好 奇迪 |
[19:53] | Welcome back. | 欢迎”回归” |
[19:55] | Is he all right? Did you break him? | 他没事吧 你没让他”崩溃死机”吧 |
[19:58] | Hey, buddy. How you doing? | 兄弟 你还好吗 |
[20:02] | Man, I’m doing great. | 我好极了 |
[20:04] | Hey, so, for the past 300 years, | 过去三百年 |
[20:08] | have I been super annoying? | 我是不是很折腾人啊 |
[20:11] | – No– – No, no. | -没有 -不会 |
[20:12] | – I wouldn’t say extremely. – Not super. | -也没那么糟 -倒也没有 |
[20:15] | – Yes. – Well, thank you, all of you, | -很折腾人 -谢谢你们所有人 |
[20:17] | For everything you’ve done for me. | 谢谢你们为我做的一切 |
[20:18] | You are wonderful people. | 你们是最美好的人 |
[20:20] | Yeah, man, that’s great, but… | 感恩最棒 但没时间了 |
[20:22] | listen, we have, like, one hour to create an entirely new afterlife, | 我们得在一小时内 设计出一个全新的死后世界 |
[20:26] | and, also save all of humanity | 还有拯救全人类 |
[20:28] | and we were wondering if you could do your Chidi thing | 你能不能发挥你”诸葛军师”的智慧 |
[20:31] | and, find us the answer? | 想出对策[答案] |
[20:34] | Well, Eleanor, this kind of thing doesn’t have just one answer. | 埃莉诺 这种事没有一个固定的答案 |
[20:38] | There might be 800. | 也许有800种版本 |
[20:40] | There could be zero. Who knows, you know? | 也许没有答案 谁知道呢 |
[20:42] | The journey is the destination, right? | 人生旅程本身就是目的地 |
[20:44] | Let’s get to work. Can you give me one second? | 我们开工吧 能等我一下吗 |
[20:47] | One second. Hey, Janet, can I have my note, please? | 等一下 珍妮特 能把那张纸条还给我吗 |
[20:51] | If you know that you wrote a note then you know what it says. | 如果你记得写过 你就知道内容 |
[20:55] | I do, but I’d still like to see it again, please. | 我知道 但我还是想再看一次 |
[20:59] | I think it might be some of the best writing I’ve ever done. | 这应该是我写过最有道理的话了 |