英文名称:The Joy Luck Club
年代:1993
推荐:千部英美剧台词本阅读
时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:27] | The old woman remembered a swan she had bought… | 老妇人记得多年前 |
[00:30] | many years ago in Shanghai for a foolish sum. | 在上海傻乎乎地出大价钱买了一只天鹅 |
[00:36] | “This bird,” Boasted the market vendor… | 这只”天鹅”被小贩吹得天花乱坠 |
[00:38] | “Was once a duck that stretched its neck… | 曾经是极力伸长脖子的鸭子 |
[00:40] | in hopes of becoming a goose. | 企图成为一只鹅 |
[00:42] | And now look. It is too beautiful to eat.” | 现在它已经如此优美 不忍将其烹饪 |
[00:53] | Then the woman and the swan sailed across an ocean… | 后来这个女人带着天鹅漂洋过海 |
[00:56] | many thousands of li wide… | 背井离乡 |
[00:58] | stretching their necks toward America. | 来到了美国 |
[01:08] | On her journey she cooed to the swan… | 在路上她对天鹅轻语 |
[01:11] | “In America I will have a daughter just like me. | “到了美国我要生一个像我一样的女儿 |
[01:15] | But over there, nobody will say her worth is measured… | 但是在那里 她无需仰仗 |
[01:18] | by the loudness of her husband’s belch. | 丈夫的鼻息度日 |
[01:24] | Over there, nobody will look down on her… | 在那里 没人会歧视她 |
[01:27] | because I will make her speak only perfect American English. | 因为我会让她讲一口流利的美语 |
[01:38] | And over there, she will | 她会 |
[01:40] | always be too full to swallow any sorrow. | 一直无忧无虑 |
[01:49] | She will know my meaning because I will give her this swan… | 她会知晓我的苦心 因为我会赠与她这只天鹅 |
[01:53] | a creature that became more than what was hoped for.” | 一只远超期望中的生物 |
[02:07] | But when she arrived in the new country… | 但是当她踏入这块新土地 |
[02:09] | the immigration officials pulled the swan away from her… | 移民局官员把天鹅从她身边拿走 |
[02:12] | leaving the woman fluttering her arms… | 这女人无奈地挥挥双臂 |
[02:15] | and with only one swan feather for a memory. | 只留有一根天鹅羽毛做念想 |
[02:26] | For a long time now, the woman had wanted… | 很久以来 老妇人一直想要 |
[02:29] | to give her daughter the single swan feather… | 赠予女儿这根天鹅羽毛 |
[02:31] | and tell her, “This feather may look worthless… | 告诉她 这根羽毛看似一文不值 |
[02:36] | but it comes from afar and carries with it… | 但却是远从千里而来 |
[02:38] | all my good intentions.” | 承载着我的一片心” |
[02:46] | – Hi! – Oh, Jennifer! Oh, hi! | – 嗨 – 嗨 詹妮弗 |
[02:49] | – Hi, June. – Hi. | – 嗨 琼 – 嗨 |
[02:51] | Yeah, I want– That’s it. How are you, June? | 是 我想… 就这样吧 琼 你好 |
[03:06] | – Come on, do or die. Right here. Come on, do or die! – Come on! | – 快点 决一死战 – 快 |
[03:11] | All right, all right, | 好吧 |
[03:11] | they’re lining up for a pass! | 他们正在传球 |
[03:13] | It’s a pass! Here we go, baby! | 传球 棒极了 |
[03:16] | – Here we go. Come on! – Oakland. | – 快快 传球 – 奥克兰 |
[03:17] | All right, all right, here we go! Here we go! | 来了 来了 要传球了 |
[03:19] | Yes. Yes. Yes! | 耶 球进了 |
[03:22] | Yes! I told you, man! I told you! | 我就说过嘛 |
[03:26] | Yeah, you owe me five bucks! | 你欠我五块 |
[03:30] | Every morning, “Wave, Wave, Waverly-a!” | 每天早上 “薇芙 薇芙 薇芙丽 啊” |
本电影台词包含不重复单词:1200个。 其中的生词包含:四级词汇:194个,六级词汇:79个,GRE词汇:78个,托福词汇:130个,考研词汇:207个,专四词汇:159个,专八词汇:25个, 所有生词标注共:336个。 定制生词标注的台词本和单词统计,请访问生词标注台词本 | ||
[03:36] | I do not sound like– She’s saying I sound like my– | 我没有那么叫 她说我像我的… |
[03:39] | I do not sound like my mother. How could I be like my mother? | 我的口气听起来不像我母亲的 我怎么能像她的 |
[03:42] | – And you started– – She said that too. | – 你先开始的 – 她也这么说 |
[03:45] | – She is right, you know. This kind of vegetable… – What? | – 她说的没错 这种蔬菜 – 什么? |
[03:47] | Don’t put Chinese cabbage in the salad. | 不要把大白菜放进沙拉里 |
[03:48] | – has to be, has to be boiled. | 必须要煮 |
[03:48] | – I always use Chinese cabbage– – It’s bitter. | – 我一直放大白菜 – 生的更苦 |
[03:52] | – Mmm, Dad, that smells good. – Thanks. | – 嗯 爸 闻起来很香 – 谢谢 |
[03:54] | – No! No! – It will fall apart! – Someone help me now. | – 不不 – 会散架的 – 快来人帮我 |
[03:58] | – I can’t believe they’re still arguing. – Come on, picture time! | – 我无法相信她们还在争论 – 快来 照相时间 |
[04:01] | – Picture time! Picture time! – All right, | 照相时间到了 – 好吧 |
[04:02] | picture time now. – Waverly, Waverly loves it! | – 现在该照相了 – 薇芙丽超爱吃 |
[04:04] | – Aunt Rose! Rose! – Rose! Rose! Rose! | – 萝丝阿姨 – 萝丝 |
[04:08] | – Come on, come on, come on. – Picture, picture. – We’re ready. | – 快来 – 照相 – 我们准备好了 |
[04:11] | – Come on. – Oh! June. -June. Come here. | 琼 过来呀 |
[04:13] | – Come on, June! – Get over here! – Get over here! | 快过来 琼 |
[04:16] | -Get over here! -Come on! -Oh, no, that’s all right, Lena. | – 来吧 来吧 – 没事的 莉娜 |
[04:19] | – Come on! – It’s all right. – No, really. | – 快来 – 没事 真的 |
[04:21] | – Go ahead. Go ahead. Go ahead. – Go on! – Come on, right now. | – 去吧 – 快来嘛 |
[04:25] | -June, come closer, darling. Come closer. – All right, enough. | – 琼 靠近点 – 好了 |
[04:28] | – Enough. Time to take the picture now. – Come on, girls. | – 该照相了 – 来吧 孩子们 |
[04:33] | All right, let me check your hair. Okay, it looks nice. | 让我看看你的发型 还不错 |
[04:35] | – Now smile naturally, Ma. – I always do, Waverly. | – 妈 笑得自然点 – 我一直笑得自然 薇芙丽 |
[04:38] | No, you don’t. Do a nice, friendly one. | 你才没有 做出一个友好的笑 |
[04:40] | You look younger all the time. | 你看起来一直很年轻 |
[04:41] | – How is that? – I give you my good skin. | – 这怎么样 – 你遗传了我的好肤质 |
[04:43] | Really? You promise? | 真的吗 你保证? |
[04:44] | You will look like me when you are older. | 你老了以后就会像我这样 |
[04:45] | – Yes. – Come close. – I’m close, Mom. | – 是的 – 靠近点 – 妈 我已经很近了 |
[04:47] | – But don’t crush my hair. – Say cheese. – I won’t. | – 不要压着我的头发 – 说茄子 – 我没压 |
[04:50] | – Cheese! – Cheese! – Cheese! | 茄子 |
[05:01] | Ying Ying, take this. | 莺莺 拿着 |
[05:17] | -My mother died four months ago. -…$9.99. | – 我母亲四个月前去世了 – 九块九毛九 |
[05:20] | I realized for the first time, | 我第一次意识到 |
[05:22] | they wanted me to take my mother’s place. | 她们想让我替代我母亲的位置 |
[05:26] | So I sat down on the East, where things begin… | 于是我面东而坐 母亲的好朋友们 |
[05:30] | with my mother’s best friends. | 之间发生一切的地方 |
[05:43] | My mother started the Joy Luck Club, | 我母亲成立了喜福会 |
[05:45] | having met all these women in church. | 她在教会认识了这些妇女 |
[05:47] | Auntie An Mei… | 安美阿姨 |
[05:50] | Auntie Lindo… | 林多阿姨 |
[05:52] | Auntie Ying Ying. | 莺莺阿姨 |
[05:54] | For 30 years, these women feasted… | 30年来 她们参加宴会 |
[05:58] | forgot past wrongs, laughed and played… | 来忘却过去的错误 欢笑和玩乐 |
[06:00] | lost and won and told the best stories. | 输赢都有但不忘讲述最棒的故事 |
[06:04] | Each week they hoped to be lucky… | 每周她们希望手气好 |
[06:06] | and that hope was their only joy. | 这个希望成为她们仅有的乐趣 |
[06:11] | Their connection with each other had more to do with hope… | 比起喜乐和福气 她们之间的联系 |
[06:14] | than joy or luck. | 更和希望有关 |
[06:20] | – You win like your mother? – Uh, I only played once… | – 你牌品和你母亲像吗 – 呃 我只在大学和 |
[06:23] | – with some Jewish friends in college. – Hmph! Jewish mah-jong. | – 一些犹太朋友玩过一次 – 哼 犹太麻将 |
[06:28] | Not the same thing. Entirely different. | 不是一回事 完全不一样 |
[06:31] | Now, Chinese mah-jong very tricky. | 中国麻将非常微妙 |
[06:34] | You have to watch what everybody throw out… | 你必须观察所有人打出去的牌 |
[06:38] | and you keep all this in your head. | 然后铭记在脑中 |
[06:43] | And if nobody play well… | 如果没人技艺精通 |
[06:47] | then the game is just like Jewish mah-jong: no strategy. | 就和玩犹太麻将一样 毫无战略 |
[06:50] | You American girls play Chinese, Jewish. | 你们这些美国女孩玩中国麻将 犹太麻将 |
[06:54] | What’s the difference? | 有何不同吗 |
[07:00] | They were worried. In me, they see their own daughters. | 她们有点担心 在我的身上她们看到了自己女儿的影子 |
[07:04] | Just as ignorant of all the hopes and dreams… | 就像我们的母亲带到这个国度的 |
[07:06] | our mothers brought to this country. | 希望和梦想一样单纯 |
[07:17] | Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. No talking in Chinese. | 嘿 嘿 嘿 嘿 嘿 不准用中文交流 |
[07:21] | Huh? How do I know you’re not cheating? | 哈 不然我怎么知道你们有没有出老千 |
[07:23] | – We would not cheat. – You don’t know, but not we. | – 我们才不会呢 – 你不知道 但是我们不会的 |
[07:25] | You don’t know, but we are your auntie, | 你不知道 但是我们是你的阿姨 |
[07:28] | and we are very honest people. | 我们是很诚实的人 |
[07:30] | – We will not cheat you. – Maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe, maybe. | – 我们不会欺骗你的 – 也许 也许 也许吧 |
[07:42] | Hey, June, why you not take the piano home? | 嘿 琼 你为什么不把这架钢琴带回家呢 |
[07:46] | You only one who play. | 你是唯一会弹奏的人啊 |
[07:54] | When I was nine years old… | 在我九岁的时候 |
[07:56] | my mother’s version of believing in me… | 我母亲那会对我的信念就是 |
[07:58] | was believing that I could be anything… | 相信我能够大有作为 |
[08:01] | anything she wanted; | 成就任何她希望我成就的事 |
[08:04] | the best piano prodigy this side of China. | 华人界最棒的钢琴奇才 |
[08:13] | I never practiced. | 其实我从未练习过弹琴 |
[08:15] | Lucky for me, old Mr. Chong couldn’t tell the difference. | 幸运的是 庄先生并没有发觉 |
[08:18] | He’d gone stone-deaf over the years. | 他的双耳已经聋了很多年 |
[08:30] | Me and Beethoven, we both hear it in our head! | 我和贝多芬 我们都能在脑中欣赏音乐 |
[08:42] | Okey-dokey. Now, how many sharps… | 好的 这儿有多少升半音 |
[08:46] | how many flats? | 多少降半音 |
[08:48] | – What key are we in? – Z major. | – 我们在什么音调上 – 在Z大调上 |
[08:50] | – What? – Z major! -Good. | – 什么 – Z大调 – 很好 |
[08:55] | Now, for the recital… | 对于独奏会来说 |
[08:58] | more feeling… | 需要更多感情 |
[09:01] | more gusto! | 更多热忱 |
[09:20] | When I was young, Auntie Lindo… | 当我还小的时候 林多阿姨 |
[09:23] | was my mother’s best friend and archenemy. | 是我妈妈最好的朋友也是头号敌人 |
[09:25] | Their weapons of choice were comparing their children. | 她们选择的武器就是攀比她们的孩子 |
[09:29] | Mom was sick of hearing Auntie Lindo brag… | 母亲受不了总听林多阿姨吹嘘 |
[09:31] | about her daughter Waverly, who was Chinatown’s chess champion. | 自己的女儿薇芙丽是唐人街的国际象棋冠军 |
[09:35] | That night Mom figured I’d redeem her… | 那天晚上母亲发现我的 |
[09:38] | – with my international piano debut. – I ask my daughter… | – 国际钢琴首秀可以挽回她的颜面 – 我叫我的女儿 |
[09:42] | “Help me carry grocery.” | 帮我拿点东西 |
[09:45] | She think this too much ask. | 她觉得这太过了 |
[09:48] | All day long she play chess. | 一整天她都在下棋 |
[09:52] | I dust off all her trophy. Appreciate me? No. | 我给她的奖杯掸灰 她感激我吗 不 |
[09:56] | You lucky you don’t have the same problem. | 你很幸运不用面对这些烦心事儿 |
[09:59] | My problem worser than yours. | 我的烦心事比你还严重呢 |
[10:02] | If I tell June time to wash dish… | 如果我跟琼说 该去洗盘子啦 |
[10:05] | she hear nothing but music. | 她却只能听的到音乐 |
[10:08] | It’s like you can’t stop this natural talent. | 就好像你无法阻止这种天赋一样 |
[10:27] | Until that night, I didn’t believe I was a prodigy. | 直到那晚 我也不相信我是个奇才 |
[10:35] | Twerp. | 蠢蛋 |
[10:46] | In fact, I used to go out of my way to prove my mother wrong… | 事实上 我想尽了办法去证明我母亲是错的 |
[10:50] | that I wasn’t cut out to be the best anything… | 我并没有成为最棒的人的才能 |
[10:52] | I could only be me. | 我只能成为我自己 |
[10:58] | It was incredible. It was like my hands were possessed by Mozart. | 我弹得太美妙了 好像我的手是属于莫扎特的 |
[11:02] | And everybody could see this, could hear this. | 所有人都能看到 都能听到 |
[11:04] | I was a genius. I had been discovered. | 我是个天才 我的才能被发掘了 |
[11:12] | And then I heard it. | 然后我就听到了这些 |
[11:44] | Maybe they didn’t notice. | 也许他们没有发现 |
[11:49] | Bravo! Bravo! Encore! Well done! | 太棒了太棒了 再来一个 太棒了 |
[12:11] | After the talent show fiasco… | 在这场天才演奏以失败告终以后 |
[12:13] | I figured I never had | 我觉得我再也不要 |
[12:14] | to play the piano again. | 弹钢琴了 |
[12:17] | 4:00. Turn off TV. | 四点了 关上电视 |
[12:19] | Practice piano time. | 到点弹钢琴了 |
[12:22] | I couldn’t believe what she was saying. | 我简直不敢相信她这么说 |
[12:23] | Like I was… | 就像我 |
[12:25] | supposed to go through the same torture again. | 还打算再遭一次罪一样 |
[12:27] | Forget it. | 才不要呢 |
[12:29] | What I say? 4:00. | 我说什么来着 四点 |
[12:31] | I’m not going to play any more. | 我不要再弹琴了 |
[12:34] | Why should I? | 我为什么要弹 |
[12:36] | What did you say? | 你说什么 |
[12:39] | I’m not your slave. This isn’t China. | 我不是你的奴隶 这儿不是中国 |
[12:42] | You can’t make me. | 你不能逼我 |
[12:44] | – Get up! – No! No, I won’t. | – 起来 – 不不我不 |
[12:49] | No! | 我不 |
[12:53] | No! No, I won’t. | 不不 我不弹 |
[12:57] | You want me to be someone I’m not! | 你想让我成为厉害的人 但我不是 |
[12:58] | I’ll never be the kind of daughter that you want me to be! | 我永远不会成为你想让我成为的那种女儿 |
[13:02] | There be two kinds of daughter: obedient or follow own mind. | 有两种女儿: 乖乖听话的 或者遵从自己内心的 |
[13:06] | Only one kind of daughter could live in this house: | 只有一种女儿能待在这个家里 |
[13:08] | – obedient kind. – Then I wish I wasn’t your daughter! | – 乖乖听话的那种 – 那我希望我不是你的女儿 |
[13:11] | I wish you weren’t my mom! | 我希望你不是我妈妈 |
[13:16] | Too late to change this. | 太晚了 改不了了 |
[13:19] | That’s when I remembered what we could never talk about. | 这就是我记得我们永远不能再讨论的话题 |
[13:24] | Then I wish I were dead… | 那我希望我去死 |
[13:26] | like them, the babies that you killed in China! | 就像她们一样 那些你在中国杀了的小孩 |
[13:33] | My mother had once told me this strange story… | 我母亲曾经给我讲过这个陌生的故事 |
[13:36] | what happened to her in China. | 她还在中国的时候的事 |
[13:39] | She said she was going to | 她说她那会正打算 |
[13:40] | Chungking to meet the man who was her husband. | 去重庆见她那个时候的丈夫 |
[13:43] | That was the first time I | 这是第一次我 |
[13:45] | ever heard she was married before my father. | 知道她在我父亲以前还结过婚 |
[13:48] | She barely had time to grab her babies, twin girls. | 她几乎没时间照顾她的孩子 一对双胞胎女儿 |
[13:52] | That was the first time I heard she had other babies. | 这也是我第一次知道她以前有过孩子 |
[14:04] | I always try to picture in my mind what really happened… | 我一直试图在脑子里构建这幅画面 |
[14:09] | but she would never explain. | 但是她从没解释给我听 |
[14:12] | She would only say by the time she reached Chungking… | 她只说 那会她到了重庆 |
[14:14] | she had lost everything. | 她失去了一切 |
[14:16] | And I said, “Wait, what do you mean ‘everything’? | 然后我问“等等 你说‘所有’是指什么 |
[14:19] | What happened to those babies?” | 这些孩子怎么了” |
[14:24] | There were so many things about my mother I never understood. | 关于我的母亲 我不能理解的太多了 |
[14:29] | This is the only one I never forgave. | 这是唯一一件我不能原谅的事 |
[14:34] | The babies. | 这两个婴孩 |
[14:36] | You know? Two babies? | 你知道吗 两个孩子 |
[14:39] | The babies? We all thought that the babies had died. | 孩子 我们都以为孩子已经死了啊 |
[14:43] | – But last month at a church picnic– – You know… | – 但是上周在一个教堂野餐会上 – 你知道 |
[14:46] | two babies your mother leave on the roadside, in wartime? | 你妈妈把两个婴孩仍在了路边 在战争时期 |
[14:51] | It’s miracle, but we find them. | 是个奇迹 但是我们找到了她们 |
[14:54] | Yes! Can you imagine? They still alive! | 是的 你能想象的出来吗 她们仍然活着 |
[14:59] | What are you saying? They’re alive? | 你说什么 她们还活着 |
[15:01] | I think your mother always want to find them… | 我认为你母亲一直想找到她俩 |
[15:04] | her long-cherished wish. | 这是她长久渴望的一个愿望啊 |
[15:06] | So after she died, we tried for her; | 所以她去世以后 我们试着找她 |
[15:09] | – writing, writing, writing. – “My–“ | – 一直写信 – “我的 |
[15:15] | – This is from them, those babies? – Ah, no baby anymore. | – 这是她俩写的吗 那两个婴孩 – 啊 她们不再是婴孩啦 |
[15:21] | They’re alive! | 她们还活着 |
[15:25] | Oh, what does it say? What does it mean? | 哦她们说了什么 这些是什么意思 |
[15:30] | It say– See here? | 信上说 看这儿 |
[15:34] | They are very glad– No, no, no, no, no. | 她们很高兴 不不不 |
[15:37] | Overjoyed beyond belief… | 是欣喜若狂 |
[15:40] | at last find you, their little sister. | 最终能找到你 她们的小妹妹 |
[15:50] | And they say– See here? | 她们说 看这儿 |
[15:53] | How sad, how very sad… | 她们有多难过 |
[15:56] | too late to meet their mother… | 太晚了 没能在 |
[15:59] | now she no longer in this world. | 母亲活着的时候见到她 |
[16:03] | Yes, yes. | 是啊 是啊 |
[16:05] | It says– See here? | 信上说 看这儿 |
[16:08] | You must come to China and meet them… | 你一定要回中国见见她们 |
[16:10] | and tell them all about their mother. | 给她们讲讲她们的母亲 |
[16:15] | What could I tell them? | 我能告诉她们什么 |
[16:17] | I didn’t know anything about her. She was– | 我一点也不了解她 她 |
[16:21] | – She was my mother. – What do you mean? | – 她是我母亲 – 你是什么意思 |
[16:23] | Tell them how smart she was… | 告诉她们她有多聪明 |
[16:24] | how kind she was. | 她人有多善良 |
[16:26] | – Everyone love her. – How sincere, how hard-working she was. | – 每个人都爱她 – 她待人多真诚 工作多努力 |
[16:30] | – And the excellent dishes she cooked. – Even better than mine. | -她做饭多好吃 – 甚至比我做的还好吃 |
[16:33] | And how beautiful she sang. Don’t you remember? | 还有她唱歌多好听 你不记得了吗 |
[16:36] | How can a daughter not know her own mother? | 一个女儿怎么能不了解她的母亲呢 |
[16:41] | You’re right. I will tell them. | 你们是对的 我会告诉她们的 |
[16:45] | I-I should. I want to. | 我应该这样 我想这样做 |
[16:56] | June? June. | 琼 琼 |
[17:00] | What you thinking? | 你在想什么 |
[17:04] | Oh, those babies, of course. The twins. | 啊 那些婴孩 当然啦 那对双胞胎 |
[17:08] | I can’t believe I’m actually going to meet them. | 我不敢相信我真的要去见她们了 |
[17:17] | How sad they must have been when you told them Mom died. | 当你告诉她们母亲已经去世的时候 她们得多伤心啊 |
[17:22] | That must have been the hardest letter for you to write. | 对你来说 那一定是一封很难写的信 |
[17:28] | Oh, peanut bowl empty. | 哦花生碗空了 |
[17:32] | Oh! Oh, I’ll get us some. | 啊我再去拿点来 |
[17:37] | All this time never telling her the truth. | 这么久以来一直不告诉她真相 |
[17:40] | – Must tell her today. – How can you not tell her? | – 必须今天告诉她 – 你怎么能不告诉她 |
[17:44] | How can I tell her what the letter really say? | 我怎么能告诉她那封信到底说了什么 |
[17:47] | Then she never go to China, never go to see her sister. | 然后她永远不会去中国 永远不会去见她的姐姐 |
[17:50] | Am I right? Yes, of course. | 我做对了吗 是的当然 |
[17:55] | Lindo, I still think it’s wrong. | 林多 我仍然觉得这是错误的 |
[18:07] | It’s so sad for those babies. | 对于这对双胞胎来说太惨了 |
[18:10] | How could Suyuan give them up? | 素媛怎么能就这么放弃了她俩 |
[18:15] | To lose a mother so young… | 让一个那么年轻的母亲 |
[18:19] | to wonder why. | 去思考为什么这么做 |
[18:23] | Even to this day I wonder… | 直到今天 我也不明白 |
[18:26] | how my own mother could give me up. | 我母亲怎么会抛弃我 |
[18:34] | That day… | 那天 |
[18:36] | when I was only four years old… | 我只有四岁 |
[18:40] | I came upon a meeting… | 我去参加了一个 |
[18:43] | that would change my life forever. | 能改变我一生的会面 |
[19:12] | I didn’t know it, but that day my mother made a promise: | 我还不懂 但是那天我妈妈许了一个诺言 |
[19:17] | – that when I became 1 5, I would | 等我到了15岁的时候 我将 |
[19:19] | go live in this woman’s house… | 去这个女人的家里生活 |
[19:31] | and fulfill the old matchmaker’s guarantee to have many sons… | 履行这个老媒婆做出的保证 和一个我从没见过的 |
[19:37] | with a husband I had never met before. | 丈夫生很多儿子 |
[20:03] | For the next ten years… | 接下来的十年里 |
[20:06] | my mother treated me as if I already belonged to Huang Tai Tai. | 我母亲对待我的态度好像我已经属于黄太太了一样 |
[20:35] | My mother did not say these things because she didn’t love me. | 我妈妈这样说不是因为她不爱我 |
[20:41] | She said these things… | 她这样说 |
[20:43] | so she would not wish for something… | 这样她就不会对 |
[20:46] | that was no longer hers. | 不再属于她的东西有奢望 |
[21:20] | And then one day… | 之后有一天 |
[21:22] | my mother said our whole family was moving to the south. | 我母亲说我们全家都要搬到南方 |
[21:27] | Everyone except me. | 每个人除了我 |
[23:59] | That night I would meet my husband for the first time; | 那晚我才第一次见到我的丈夫 |
[24:04] | the one who would control my destiny… | 那个能掌控我人生的人 |
[24:08] | decide whether I was happy or not. | 决定了我今后的喜怒哀乐 |
[24:23] | This one moment would decide for my whole life… | 这一刻决定了我的一生 |
[24:28] | whether fear would rule… | 到底是被恐惧统治 |
[24:30] | or I would. | 还是被我自己 |
[24:34] | I decided underneath I knew who I was. | 我到底还是知道我自己是谁 |
[24:39] | I promised myself never to forget. | 我对自己保证绝对不忘记 |
[26:40] | The next few years, I tried to accept my life… | 接下来几年 我试图接受我自己的命运 |
[26:44] | to act like an obedient wife. | 表现的像一个顺从的妻子 |
[26:50] | Every night I made Huang Tai Tai special soup… | 每晚我都给黄太太做特制的汤 |
[26:53] | good for mother-in-laws. | 对婆婆特别好 |
[26:56] | Still, she was not pleased. | 但她仍然不满意 |
[27:40] | After that, I slept with my husband. | 那以后 我和我丈夫睡 |
[27:44] | Every night I slept with him… | 我每晚和他睡 |
[27:46] | just like brother and sister. | 就像姐弟那样 |
[31:16] | The same mole I had seen during all those nights… | 一样的痣 在我们像 |
[31:19] | of sleeping just like brother and sister. | 姐弟一样睡觉的每个夜晚 我都看得到 |
[31:23] | Next, our ancestor touched my mouth. | 接着 老祖宗又摸了摸我的嘴 |
[31:43] | The open spot in my mouth… | 我嘴里的那个空 |
[31:47] | where a rotted tooth fell out four years ago. | 原来是一颗已经掉了四年的烂牙的地方 |
[32:29] | I told them the matchmaker had made the wrong match… | 我告诉他们媒婆故意牵错红线 |
[32:32] | on purpose, just for money. | 只是为了钱 |
[33:07] | Huang Tai Tai got her grandson. | 黄太太得到了他的孙子 |
[33:10] | The servant girl got her marriage. | 那个女仆得到了她的婚姻 |
[33:21] | I got a rail ticket to Shanghai. | 我得到了一张去上海的火车票 |
[33:28] | So, you see, I still kept my promise to my mother. | 所以 我仍旧对我母亲遵守着诺言 |
[33:34] | But years later, things were somewhat different… | 但多年后 我女儿薇芙丽的婚礼 |
[33:38] | with my daughter Waverly’s wedding. | 就有些不同了 |
[33:41] | – Ma, it’s me. – Oh, Waverly-a. | – 妈 是我 – 是薇芙丽啊 |
[33:43] | – You already at the beauty parlor? – No. | – 你已经到美容院了? – 没有 |
[33:46] | – No? – No, I’m– I have a headache. | – 没有? – 没有 我有点头痛 |
[33:48] | Headache? You have a headache? | 头痛? 你头痛了? |
[33:51] | So you cannot keep your promise to your mother? | 所以你不能遵守对你母亲的诺言了吗 |
[33:53] | – Ma! – No, don’t come. Why should I want you to come… | – 妈 – 别来了 我为什么要让你来 |
[33:56] | when all you’re telling me you don’t want to come? | 当你却在告诉我你不想来 |
[33:58] | Ma, that’s not what I said! | 妈 我不是那个意思 |
[34:00] | What’s wrong with the way I look now? | 我的发型怎么了 |
[34:02] | I just go to wedding with old hair. | 我就顶着旧发型去参加婚礼 |
[34:05] | Shit! She always does this! | 靠 她总是这样 |
[34:10] | My mom always does this. | 我妈总是这样 |
[34:14] | Whatever I say, whatever I do… | 不管我说什么做什么 |
[34:17] | whatever I think… | 想什么 |
[34:20] | she always has the perfect countermove. | 她总是有着完美的对付手段 |
[34:24] | As if she had been the chess champion. | 好像她是象棋冠军 |
[34:30] | Even at that age, I knew I had an amazing gift: | 即使年幼 我知道我有着惊人的天赋 |
[34:34] | this power, this belief in myself… | 这股力量 这种信念在我身上 |
[34:39] | to be better than anyone else. | 要比其他人都要优秀 |
[34:41] | If someone was bigger than me, older than me, it didn’t matter. | 如果有人比我高 比我大 没有关系 |
[34:46] | And if they were mean, I could make’em sorry. | 但如果他们很刻薄 我会让他们后悔的 |
[34:59] | Checkmate. | 将军 |
[35:10] | Congratulations. | 恭喜 |
[35:13] | It was the only part of my life, to this day… | 这是我至今唯一完全 |
[35:16] | where I trusted myself completely. | 相信自己的时刻 |
[35:22] | – Very good. – Thank you. | – 真不错 – 谢谢 |
[35:24] | – Good work. – Thank you. – You did good. | – 真棒 – 谢谢 – 你做的好极了 |
[35:27] | – I was safe there. . – We’ve been very lucky. | – 我有安全感 – 我们运气好 |
[35:30] | – I still cry remembering that. – Thank you. | – 我仍旧清晰地记得 – 谢谢 |
[35:35] | – You not see Life magazine? – No. | – 你没看《生活》杂志 – 没 |
[35:39] | I told my daughter, “Use your horses to run over the enemy.” | 我教导我女儿 “用你的棋子去击溃敌人” |
[35:44] | She won very quickly this way. | 她用这招很快获胜了 |
[35:47] | – Oh, good. – Bye-bye. | – 很好 – 拜拜 |
[35:49] | – Bye-bye. – Say bye-bye. | – 拜拜 – 说拜拜 |
[35:51] | – Bye-bye. – Say bye-bye. | – 拜拜 – 说拜拜 |
[35:51] | – Bye. – Bye. | – 拜 – 拜 |
[35:55] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[35:58] | Ah, Mrs. Chew! | 邱太太 你好 |
[36:00] | Oh, you know my daughter, Waverly Jong, chess champion? | 你认识我女儿吗 象棋冠军 |
[36:01] | Oh, you know my daughter, Waverly Jong, chess champion? | 你认识我女儿吗 象棋冠军 |
[36:06] | Smart girl! Bye. | 聪明的小姑娘 再见 |
[36:10] | Thank you. Bye-bye. | 谢谢 拜拜 |
[36:13] | I wish you wouldn’t do that, telling everyone I’m your daughter. | 我希望你不要这样做 告诉大家我是你女儿 |
[36:17] | What you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[36:18] | You so ashamed to be with your mother? | 和你母亲在一起你感到羞耻吗 |
[36:20] | It’s not that. | 不是这样 |
[36:23] | It’s just that it’s so… | 就是 很… |
[36:25] | embarrassing, that’s all. | 难为情 仅此而已 |
[36:27] | What? Embarrassed you be my daughter? | 什么 做我女儿你感到难为情 |
[36:29] | That’s not what I said. | 我不是这么说的 |
[36:31] | Then what you say? Look at me! | 那你说了什么 看着我 |
[36:34] | Look at me! | 看着我 |
[36:37] | Why do you have to use me to show off? | 你为什么要拿我来炫耀 |
[36:41] | If you want to show off… | 如果你想炫耀 |
[36:45] | then why don’t you learn to play chess? | 为什么你不去学下象棋 |
[36:59] | Waverly! Waverly! You come back! | 薇芙丽 你给我回来 |
[37:05] | About time. Boy, are you in trouble. | 回来得正好 天 你麻烦大了 |
[37:15] | Sit down. Eat. | 坐下 吃饭 |
[37:19] | This girl not have concerning for us. | 这个女孩不关心我们 |
[37:23] | We not concerning this girl. | 我们也不关心她 |
[37:53] | I’m never gonna play chess again! | 我再也不下象棋了 |
[37:56] | You can’t make me! | 你不能逼我 |
[37:58] | You can torture me all you want… | 你可以随意折磨我 |
[38:01] | I still won’t. | 我还是不会屈服 |
[38:17] | Did you hear what I said? | 你听见我说的话了吗 |
[38:44] | For months I kept expecting Ma to beg me to play chess again… | 日复一日 我期望妈求我再次下象棋 |
[38:48] | but she never mentioned it, as if I had never played at all. | 但是她再没提过 好像我从来没下过象棋 |
[39:03] | Guess what? I’ve decided to play chess again. | 猜怎么着 我决定继续下象棋了 |
[39:09] | You think it is so easy. | 你以为就这么简单 |
[39:13] | One day quit, next day play. | 有一天放弃了 再一天又捡起了 |
[39:18] | Everything for you is this way. | 你什么事都是这样 |
[39:21] | So smart, so easy, so fast. | 如此聪明 如此简单 如此迅速 |
[39:34] | Not so easy anymore. | 不会再这么简单了 |
[39:44] | What she said, it was like a curse. | 她说的话就如同咒语 |
[39:50] | This power I had, this belief in myself… | 我有的这股力量 我对自己的信念 |
[39:56] | I could actually feel it draining away. | 我事实上感觉到它们逐渐枯竭 |
[40:01] | I could feel myself becoming so ordinary. | 我可以感到自己变得如此普通 |
[40:08] | All the secrets I once saw… | 我曾经洞察到的所有秘密 |
[40:13] | I couldn’t see them anymore. | 我再也无法洞察到了 |
[40:16] | All I could see was– | 我看到的只有 |
[40:19] | were my mistakes, my weaknesses. | 我的错误和弱点 |
[40:25] | The best part of me just… | 我最好的一部分就这样… |
[40:27] | – Check. – disappeared. | – 将军 – 消失了 |
[40:39] | But I can’t put it all on my mother. | 但我不能怪我母亲 |
[40:46] | I did it to myself. | 一切都是自作自受 |
[40:52] | I never played chess again. | 我再也没下过象棋 |
[40:56] | She needs a cut and a perm, Trevor. | 特雷弗 她需要剪发和烫发 |
[40:59] | And this color of hers, | 她头发的颜色 |
[41:00] | it’s from that cheap black dye she’s been using at home. | 是来自她在家里用的廉价黑色染发剂 |
[41:03] | God forbid she’d pay to have anything professionally done. | 上帝禁止她花钱在任何专业的打理 |
[41:07] | Why I should pay? What for? | 我为什么要掏钱 为了什么 |
[41:11] | Why I should pay 90 dollar? To act like you? So important. | 我为什么要花90美元打扮得和你一样 多重要的人物似的 |
[41:16] | Go to fancy barber with torn-up jeans. | 去找一个穿着破破烂烂的牛仔裤的理发师 |
[41:23] | Darlene, we need a shampoo here. | 达琳 我这里需要洗发精 |
[41:29] | I mean, I even married a Chinese guy to please her. | 我甚至为了讨好她 嫁给了一个中国人 |
[41:34] | He was gorgeous. He gave her a granddaughter. | 他很出色 给了她一个外孙女 |
[41:38] | But was she satisfied? | 但她满意吗 |
[41:41] | When we got divorced, she got all upset like it was my fault. | 当我们离婚时 她表现失落 好像都是我的错 |
[41:48] | I just want to show you something. It’s upstairs. | 我想给你看样东西 就在楼上 |
[41:51] | Watch out for Shoshana’s toys. | 小心肖莎娜的玩具 |
[41:52] | And when I finally started dating again… | 当我终于再次开始约会 |
[41:54] | when I tried to hint to her about Rich… | 当我试着给她提示里奇 |
[41:57] | that we were living together– | 和我在同居 |
[42:01] | How could she not notice? | 她怎么会没注意到 |
[42:03] | This was not going to go away, even with her silent treatment. | 这次不会就这么算了 她沉默相待也不行 |
[42:12] | This is what I wanted to show you. | 这就是我想给你看的 |
[42:17] | You know Rich, the guy I told you about? | 你知道里奇吗 我给你提过的 |
[42:21] | I don’t know why he got it for me. | 我不知道他为什么要给我买这个 |
[42:23] | It’s really never cold enough to wear. | 天气还没冷到要穿这衣服的地步 |
[42:25] | You wanna try it? | 你想试穿吗 |
[42:33] | This not so good. | 这衣服不怎么样 |
[42:36] | Only leftover strips. | 尽是些边角料 |
[42:39] | See? Fur too short. | 看见没 毛太短了 |
[42:42] | No long hairs. | 没有长毛 |
[42:48] | How can you criticize a gift? | 你怎么能批判一件礼物 |
[42:52] | He gave this to me with all his heart. | 他好心好意送给我 |
[42:56] | That’s why I told you. Not so good. | 这就是我为什么要告诉你质量不怎么好 |
[43:01] | I wasn’t going to let her get away with it this time… | 我这次不会让她得逞的 |
[43:04] | making me feel bad about Rich, the love of my life… | 让我对我的挚爱感到抱歉 |
[43:09] | who treated me like I was perfect. | 他待我如同我是完美无缺的 |
[43:11] | Well, aren’t you going to say anything else? | 你不准备说点别的吗 |
[43:16] | What I should say? | 我要说什么 |
[43:19] | About the apartment, about this! | 关于公寓 关于这些 |
[43:23] | And this! | 还有这些 |
[43:26] | Or this! | 或是这些 |
[43:29] | All of this! | 所有的一切 |
[43:40] | We’re here! Where is everybody? | 我们到了 大家都在哪儿 |
[43:43] | The next week I brought Rich to | 第二周我带里奇参加 |
[43:45] | Mom’s birthday dinner, sort of a surprise present. | 母亲的生日晚宴 算是某种惊喜 |
[43:48] | I figured she was going to have to accept Rich, like it or not. | 我谋划着她必须接受里奇 不管她喜不喜欢 |
[43:54] | – Oh, Rich, this is my father. – How ya doin’? | – 里奇 这是我父亲 – 你好吗 |
[43:56] | – Happy birthday, Mom. – How are you? – I’m good, thank you. | – 生日快乐 妈 – 你好吗 – 我很好 多谢 |
[43:58] | And, Ma, this is Rich. | 妈 这是里奇 |
[44:02] | Great to meet you. Boy, something smells wonderful. | 很高兴见到您 天 什么东西闻起来这么香 |
[44:07] | I guess we came to the right place, huh? Here you are. | 我猜我们来对地方了 这是给您的 |
[44:10] | You know, Waverly has been telling me that you are the best cook. | 薇芙丽一直告诉我您的厨艺精湛 |
[44:24] | I think maybe we got her. | 我想我们可能搞定她了 |
[44:30] | So many spots on his face. | 他脸上的斑真多 |
[44:34] | Of course, the night was still young. | 当然 说这话还早 |
[44:37] | Thank god I already prepped | 谢天谢地我早已按照埃米莉·波斯特 |
[44:38] | him on the Emily Post of Chinese manners. | 书中的中国礼节教过里奇了 |
[44:41] | Hi, Uncle. How are you? | 叔叔 你好吗 |
[44:47] | Actually, there were a few things I forgot to mention. | 事实上 有几点是我忘了提 |
[44:53] | Uh, let me make a toast. | 让我来祝酒 |
[44:55] | – He shouldn’t have had that second glass… – Here’s to… | – 他本不应该喝第二杯 – 这杯敬 |
[44:57] | when everyone else had had only half an inch… | 当其他人只喝了半杯 |
[44:59] | everyone in the family. | 各位家庭成员 |
[44:59] | just for taste. | 来品尝味道 |
[45:05] | Shrimp. My favorite. | 虾 我的最爱 |
[45:09] | He should have taken only a small spoonful of the best dish… | 他本应该只取一小勺最好的菜肴 |
[45:12] | until everyone had had a helping. | 直到大家都尝过之后再多舀 |
[45:14] | He has good appetite. | 他胃口很好啊 |
[45:20] | He shouldn’t have bragged he was a fast learner. | 他本不应该吹嘘自己学习东西有多快 |
[45:27] | But the worst was when Rich criticized my mother’s cooking… | 但是最糟的一点是当里奇批判我母亲的厨艺 |
[45:32] | and he didn’t even know what he had done. | 然而他甚至不知道他做了什么 |
[45:35] | As is the Chinese cook’s custom… | 在中国的烹饪习俗中 |
[45:37] | my mother always insults her own cooking… | 我母亲总是贬低自己的厨艺 |
[45:41] | but only with the dishes she serves with special pride. | 但是仅限于她的拿手菜 |
[45:44] | This dish not salty enough. | 这道菜不够咸 |
[45:48] | No flavor. It’s too bad to eat. | 没有味道 没法吃 |
[45:51] | But please– | 但是请… |
[45:56] | That was our cue to eat some… | 这时候就是暗示我们吃点 |
[46:00] | and proclaim it the best she’d ever made. | 并赞扬这是她做的最好吃的菜的时刻 |
[46:02] | You know, Lindo… | 你知道吗 林多 |
[46:05] | all this needs is a little soy sauce. | 这道菜只需要加一点酱油 |
[46:17] | So, how’d your mom react when you told her about the wedding? | 你告诉她我们要结婚她什么反应 |
[46:22] | It never came up. | 我根本没提 |
[46:26] | How come? | 怎么会 |
[46:29] | She’d rather get rectal cancer. | 她宁愿得直肠癌 |
[46:34] | Oh. | 噢 |
[46:36] | Ma, a soft wave for body. What do you think? | 妈 烫一个大波浪 怎么样 |
[46:42] | Look, she doesn’t want it too short. | 她不想头发太短 |
[46:44] | Otherwise it’ll be too tight for the wedding. | 否则对于婚礼来说太拘谨 |
[46:47] | And we don’t want it looking too weird or kinky. | 我们也不想看起来太怪或太卷 |
[46:51] | Isn’t that right, Ma? Not too kinky? | 是不是 妈 不要太卷 |
[46:55] | Why does my daughter think she’s translating English for me? | 为什么我女儿认为她在为我翻译英语 |
[46:59] | Maybe I don’t go. | 也许我不去了 |
[47:02] | – What do you mean? – Maybe I don’t go to your wedding. | – 你什么意思 – 也许我不参加你的婚礼了 |
[47:04] | – Oh, don’t be ridiculous. – Maybe already ridiculous. | – 太荒唐了 – 或许已经够荒唐的了 |
[47:07] | Hair too ridiculous for future husband’s family. | 对未来公家人来说 发型太荒唐 |
[47:15] | I could see her face looking at me… | 我可以看到她的脸面向我 |
[47:19] | but not seeing me. | 但不是看着我 |
[47:21] | She was ashamed… | 她觉得羞愧 |
[47:24] | so ashamed to be my daughter. | 为做我女儿感到羞愧 |
[47:29] | Ma? | 妈 |
[47:32] | – What’s wrong? – Nothing. | – 怎么了 – 没事 |
[47:37] | Nothing. I– I only thinking… | 没事 我只是想起… |
[47:40] | thinking about my mother… | 想起我母亲了 |
[47:43] | how much I wanted to be like her. | 我有多想成为她 |
[47:49] | Your mother? | 你的母亲? |
[47:53] | She told me… | 她告诉过我 |
[47:55] | all the hopes she had for me… | 她对我的所有期望 |
[47:58] | words I would never forget. | 我永远不会忘记的话 |
[48:52] | In my memory, my– | 在我记忆中 |
[48:55] | my mother very important to me… | 我的母亲对我很重要 |
[48:58] | just like her words. | 就如她的话 |
[49:03] | Easy to appreciate memory. | 想要回忆很容易 |
[49:17] | Ma? | 妈 |
[49:21] | Why don’t you like Rich? | 你为什么不喜欢里奇 |
[49:28] | It’s Rich you afraid I not like? | 你担心我不喜欢他? |
[49:32] | If I don’t like your Rich… | 如果我不喜欢里奇 |
[49:34] | I act polite, say nothing; | 我会表现得很有礼貌 什么都不说 |
[49:37] | let him have big cancer… | 让他得癌症 |
[49:39] | let my daughter be a widow. | 让我女儿守寡 |
[49:45] | I like Rich. Of course I do… | 我当然喜欢里奇 |
[49:49] | to allow him to marry such a daughter. | 不然怎么会让他娶这么好的女儿 |
[50:01] | You don’t know– | 你不知道 |
[50:05] | You don’t know the power you have over me. | 你不知道你对我有种影响 |
[50:10] | One word from you, one look… | 你的一句话 一个眼神 |
[50:12] | and I’m… | 我就… |
[50:15] | four years old again, crying myself to sleep. | 又回到四岁 哭着入睡 |
[50:20] | Because nothing I do… | 因为不管我做什么 |
[50:27] | can ever, ever please you. | 都不会取悦你 |
[50:45] | Now– | 现在 |
[50:49] | Now you make me happy. | 你让我高兴 |
[51:10] | Look, look, look, look, Ma, Ma, Auntie Ying, Auntie Ying. | 看 看 看 妈 莺姨 |
[51:13] | – I did it. – Rich! | – 我做到了 – 里奇 |
[51:15] | Where’d it go? Did it go inside? | 去哪了 掉里面了吗 |
[51:18] | -Oh, come on. -God, I can’t take you anywhere. | – 搞错没 – 天啊 我就不能带你出来 |
[51:23] | – So where’d it end up? – Oh, Lena, do you want to eat? | – 所以在哪里结束 – 莉娜 你想吃吗 |
[51:26] | – Thank you. – Oh, here’s a fork. | – 谢谢 – 这有一副叉子 |
[51:28] | – Okay. – Well, I’m trying. | – 好 – 我尽力了 |
[51:30] | Ta-la! | 嗒啦 |
[51:33] | Wow! That’s beautiful, huh? | 哇 太美啦 |
[51:40] | What’s the matter, guest of honor? | 怎么了 贵宾 |
[51:43] | – Yeah! – Should eat more! | – 就是 – 应该多吃点 |
[51:45] | Should eat more! Too skinny! | 你应该多吃 太瘦了 |
[51:47] | Well, I thought you said I was getting fat. | 我以为你说我发胖了 |
[51:50] | Auntie An Mei said that. | 安美阿姨说的 |
[51:51] | – Why you always confusing us? – Oh, look. | – 你为什么老混淆我俩 – 看 |
[51:54] | June so happy, going to China… | 琼对于要去中国很高兴 |
[51:57] | see her sisters at last. | 终于可以见到她姐姐了 |
[52:00] | Only steamed. Can’t get you fat. | 只是清蒸 不会让你胖的 |
[52:11] | How terrible for Suyuan… | 素媛失去孩子 |
[52:15] | to lose your babies… | 从来不知道她们是生是死 |
[52:17] | never know if they are alive or dead. | 对她来说简直太可怕了 |
[52:30] | Only one thing’s worse. | 不过还有更糟的 |
[52:45] | I was only 16. | 我才16岁 |
[56:20] | After that, everything like this dream. | 从那以后 一切就像梦 |
[56:25] | Our wedding… | 我们的婚礼 |
[56:29] | our son. | 我们的儿子 |
[57:06] | There he was | 他和他的歌女 |
[57:08] | with his opera singer. | 在那边打情骂俏 |
[57:10] | This was not his first conquest… | 这不是他第一次有女人 |
[57:13] | only the first I permitted myself to recognize. | 但却是第一次我允许自己在意 |
[57:19] | By then I knew what kind of man I had married: | 那时我才知道我嫁给了什么样的男人 |
[57:24] | happiest when he was cruel. | 以虐人为乐 |
[57:56] | He became forgetful. | 他变得健忘 |
[58:03] | So forgetful he had not returned by the next morning. | 以致于忘了第二天早上回家 |
[58:09] | Or the next evening. | 或者第二天晚上 |
[1:00:14] | My whole life turned in this moment. | 我的整个人生在这一刻发生转折 |
[1:00:17] | If I had left him or killed him… | 如果我离开他或者杀了他 |
[1:00:21] | I would not have lost the one thing that mattered. | 我不会失去至关重要的东西 |
[1:00:51] | My mind kept repeating a single thought. | 我的脑海中不断重复着一个想法 |
[1:00:54] | He had taken from me my innocence… | 他夺走了我的纯真 |
[1:00:56] | my youth, my heart, everything. | 我的青春 我的真心 我的一切 |
[1:01:13] | So I took from him the only thing I could. | 我就要夺走他唯一我能夺走的东西 |
[1:01:41] | My baby was so light in my arms… | 我的孩子轻盈地躺在我怀中 |
[1:01:45] | because his little spirit had flown away. | 因为他的魂魄已经烟消云散了 |
[1:01:51] | And with his, my spirit had also gone. | 我的灵魂也一同灰飞烟灭了 |
[1:02:10] | Years later, I moved to America. | 多年后 我移居到美国 |
[1:02:15] | But what I had done in China was always with me. | 但是在中国的所作所为一直羁绊着我 |
[1:02:23] | In time, I remarried… | 后来我再嫁了 |
[1:02:26] | and I had a daughter. | 生了一个女儿 |
[1:02:30] | But Lena had no spirit… | 但是莉娜没有灵魂 |
[1:02:33] | because I had none to give her. | 因为我没有什么能给她的 |
[1:02:38] | Mommy? | 妈妈 |
[1:02:52] | Mommy? | 妈妈 |
[1:02:55] | Are you hungry yet? | 你饿了吗 |
[1:03:07] | Mom? | 妈 |
[1:03:13] | Mommy, please answer me. | 妈妈 求你回应一下我 |
[1:03:25] | Mommy? Oh, Mom! | 妈妈 |
[1:03:29] | As I was growing up… | 我成长的过程中 |
[1:03:32] | there were times when Mom went through these bad spells. | 有几次妈妈经历了这些坏的魔咒 |
[1:03:36] | She often seemed scared and sad. | 她经常看起来又惊又怕 |
[1:03:41] | But she would never talk about it… | 但是她从不谈起 |
[1:03:44] | except to say that she had been married to a bad man in China. | 除了说她以前在中国嫁给了一个坏男人 |
[1:03:59] | Over the years Mom got better… | 这么些年妈妈好多了 |
[1:04:03] | although it seemed like | 尽管看起来 |
[1:04:04] | all her fears turned into worries about me. | 她所有的恐惧都化成了对我的担忧 |
[1:04:11] | So now that I’m married… | 既然我结婚了 |
[1:04:13] | and she’s visiting our new house… | 她来参观我们的新房 |
[1:04:16] | I hope she can finally be happy for me. | 我希望她终于能为我高兴 |
[1:04:32] | Don’t worry. Everything’s fine. | 别担心 一切都会好起来 |
[1:04:40] | He’s very nice to me. | 他对我很好 |
[1:04:44] | Nice. | 好 |
[1:04:47] | Nice. Very nice. | 非常好 |
[1:04:52] | – Oh, Mom? Mom– – What’s this? | – 妈 – 这是什么 |
[1:04:55] | Why don’t you, uh, rest in the living room? | 不如你去客厅休息 |
[1:04:57] | I’ll make you some tea, okay? | 我给你泡一杯茶 |
[1:04:59] | I’ve got some chrysanthemum tea. | 我家里有菊花茶 |
[1:05:04] | – What’s this writing? – Mom! It’s nothing. | – 这写的什么 – 妈! 什么都不是 |
[1:05:07] | You know. It’s just the things we share. | 就是我们共享的东西 |
[1:05:11] | At least that’s what Harold calls it. | 至少哈罗德这么叫的 |
[1:05:13] | Sharing. Everything 50-50. | 共享一切 五五分 |
[1:05:16] | So our love is always equal. | 我们的爱永远是平等的 |
[1:05:19] | The irony is, I was the | 讽刺的是 |
[1:05:21] | one who started it that way. | 我是那个最初提出来的人 |
[1:05:25] | – Forty-one dollars. – Oh, total? | – 41美元 – 总共吗 |
[1:05:28] | Each. What? You don’t have enough? | 每人41美元 怎么 你钱不够 |
[1:05:34] | No, it’s, uh… | 不是 |
[1:05:38] | it’s just, uh, I was never very good at math. | 只是我从不擅长数学 |
[1:05:40] | So what if I had a salad and he had three courses? | 万一我点了沙拉而他点了三道菜呢 |
[1:05:44] | We were equals. | 我们是平等的 |
[1:05:46] | Except that I work in his firm and he pays himself… | 除了我在他的公司工作 |
[1:05:49] | seven times more than he pays me. | 他给自己的薪水比给我的高七倍以上 |
[1:05:53] | Seven and a half. | 七点五倍 |
[1:05:57] | And then last year, when we finally decided to get married… | 去年当我们终于决定结婚 |
[1:06:00] | we agreed love, yes; false dependencies, no. | 我们一致同意要爱不要错误的依赖 |
[1:06:06] | With most everything, we keep track of what we spend… | 任何事情上我们都记录花费 |
[1:06:09] | then split it 50-50. | 然后平分 |
[1:06:12] | Of course we agreed early on not to include personal stuff… | 当然我们早期达成共识 不包括个人用品 |
[1:06:16] | like my tampons and feminine hygiene spray… | 比如我的卫生棉条和女性生理喷雾 |
[1:06:20] | and his shaving lotion and foot powder. | 他的刮胡水和爽足粉 |
[1:06:22] | Honey, isn’t there a generic brand of cat food? | 亲爱的 难道没有一般的猫食 |
[1:06:25] | I mean, do they know the difference? For crying out loud, $34.76. | 猫们又分辨不出来区别 天哪这要34.76刀 |
[1:06:30] | But we still have these philosophical arguments… | 但是我们仍就会在灰色地带上 |
[1:06:32] | about the gray areas. | 进行哲学性辩论 |
[1:06:34] | Like magazines I subscribe to, which he reads… | 比如我订的杂志他也看 |
[1:06:37] | but only because they’re there. | 仅仅是因为杂志放在那儿 |
[1:06:41] | And the cat. | 还有猫 |
[1:06:44] | Even the goddamn cat’s fleas. | 甚至是猫身上该死的跳蚤 |
[1:06:47] | You gave her to me as a birthday gift. | 你把猫当做生日礼物送给我 |
[1:06:50] | And now you want me to pay to get rid of her fleas? | 现在你想让我掏钱给猫除跳蚤 |
[1:07:11] | Ice cream you don’t share. | 你们不共享冰淇淋 |
[1:07:13] | You don’t eat ice cream. | 你不吃冰淇淋 |
[1:07:16] | Ever since that time you got | 自从那次你吃了 |
[1:07:17] | sick on strawberry and chocolate flavor together. | 草莓和巧克力味冰淇淋的混合然后生病了 |
[1:07:19] | I remember. | 我记得 |
[1:07:23] | Now you must pay for half of his ice cream? | 现在你必须为他的冰淇淋掏一半的钱? |
[1:07:30] | Why do you do this? | 你为什么要这么做 |
[1:07:32] | Lena? | 莉娜 |
[1:07:39] | Lena, when you buy charcoal, you have to buy lighter fluid. | 莉娜 你买木炭的时候必须要买打火机油 |
[1:07:43] | Don’t you know that yet? Do I have to remind you every time? | 你不知道吗 需要我每次都提醒你吗 |
[1:07:48] | Lena cannot eat ice cream. | 莉娜不能吃冰淇淋 |
[1:07:52] | What? | 什么 |
[1:07:56] | What are we talking about? | 我们在谈论什么 |
[1:07:58] | It’s true. I’ve hated ice cream all my life. | 是真的 我这辈子都对冰淇淋深恶痛绝 |
[1:08:02] | I don’t touch the stuff. | 冰淇淋我碰都不碰 |
[1:08:05] | Well, I assumed you were always trying to diet or something. | 我以为你总是在节食 |
[1:08:10] | Oh, yes, she’s lost so much weight you can’t see her anymore. | 是啊 她瘦的你都看不见了 |
[1:08:20] | One million dollars, and the walls are still crooked. | 一百万的房子 墙还是斜的 |
[1:08:24] | It’s bad luck. | 这是坏运气 |
[1:08:26] | Harold wanted to keep it that way for the effect. | 哈罗德想要保持这种效果 |
[1:08:29] | For effect? A person has to lie here thinking she’s in a coffin? | 效果? 一个人想要躺在这然后想着她在一口棺材里吗 |
[1:08:36] | Careful. It’s not too sturdy. | 小心 桌子不是很稳定 |
[1:08:40] | Harold made it back in college. | 哈罗德在大学时做的 |
[1:08:43] | Why do you keep it? | 你为什么要保留着 |
[1:08:46] | You put one more thing on top and everything falls down. | 你再放一件东西 所有的东西都要倒地 |
[1:08:50] | Do you need anything else? | 你还需要什么吗 |
[1:08:54] | – No. – Okay. | – 不用了 – 好吧 |
[1:08:59] | No. Nothing. | 什么都不需要 |
[1:09:05] | – What is a drag race? – What an idiot! | – 什么是汽车加速赛 – 真是个白痴 |
[1:09:08] | Regatta, not drag race! | 是帆船赛 不是赛车 |
[1:09:12] | I don’t believe this guy! | 我简直不敢信这个男的 |
[1:09:15] | It’s cold. | 好冷 |
[1:09:19] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[1:09:21] | I said, would you close the window, please? It’s cold. | 我说 你能关上窗户吗 好冷 |
[1:09:56] | Honey, move. What’s goin’ on? | 亲爱的 移一下 怎么了 |
[1:10:00] | I don’t think you should get credit for your ice cream anymore. | 我不觉得你以后应该把冰淇淋列在单子上 |
[1:10:06] | Fine. You got it. End of discussion. | 好吧 依你了 讨论结束 |
[1:10:15] | Why do you have to be so goddamn fair? | 你为什么任何事都要讲公平 |
[1:10:24] | Just what is this about exactly? | 你究竟想说什么 |
[1:10:29] | I don’t know. Maybe everything. | 我不知道 也许是所有事 |
[1:10:34] | The way we account for everything. | 我们每件东西都记账 |
[1:10:35] | What we share, what we don’t share. I’m sick of it. | 什么平分 什么不平分 我已经厌倦了 |
[1:10:37] | Adding things up, subtracting. | 加减法 |
[1:10:39] | Making it come out even when it’s not. I’m sick of it. | 不公平但也要平分 我受够了 |
[1:10:42] | You’re the one who wanted the cat! | 是你想要养猫的 |
[1:10:46] | – What are you talking about? – All right. | – 你在说什么 – 好吧 |
[1:10:50] | If you think I’m being unfair, we’ll both pay for the fleas. | 如果你觉得我没做到公平 那我们一起支付除跳蚤的钱 |
[1:10:54] | This is not about fleas. That is not the point. | 这不是除跳蚤的是 这不是重点 |
[1:10:57] | Then, please, tell me. | 那么请告诉我 |
[1:11:01] | What is the point? | 重点是什么 |
[1:11:08] | I– I just think that we need to change things. | 我只是认为我们需要改变 |
[1:11:13] | We need to think about what this marriage is based on… | 我们需要考虑一下这段婚姻的基础是什么 |
[1:11:17] | not this balance sheet. | 不是这张单子 |
[1:11:19] | Well, I know what our marriage is based upon. | 我知道我们的婚姻基础是什么 |
[1:11:22] | And if you don’t, then you better think about it… | 如果你不知道 那最好想想去 |
[1:11:25] | before you start to change things. | 在你开始做改变之前 |
[1:11:36] | All around this house, I see the signs. | 这座房子里到处都是预示 |
[1:11:39] | My daughter looks, but she does not see. | 我女儿看出来了但不以为意 |
[1:11:43] | This is a house that will break into pieces. | 这座房子即将支离破碎 |
[1:11:54] | Mom? | 妈 |
[1:12:15] | It’s not too late. | 还不算晚 |
[1:12:18] | All my pains, my regrets… | 我所有的痛苦与悔恨 |
[1:12:22] | I will gather them together. | 我会把两者收集起来 |
[1:12:33] | My daughter will hear me calling, even though I’ve said no words. | 我的女儿会听见我的呼唤 尽管我一字未说 |
[1:12:40] | She will climb the stairs to find me. | 她会爬上台阶找到我 |
[1:12:42] | – Mom? – She will be scared… | – 妈 – 她会害怕 |
[1:12:45] | because at first her eyes will see nothing. | 因为起初她的双眼一片黑暗 |
[1:12:49] | – She will feel in her heart… – Mom? | – 她会在内心感受 – 妈 |
[1:12:52] | – this place where she hides her fears. – Mom? | – 那就是她隐藏恐惧的地方 – 妈 |
[1:12:56] | She will know… | 她会知道 |
[1:12:58] | I am waiting like a tiger in the trees… | 我就像老虎一样在丛林中等候 |
[1:13:03] | now ready to leap out and cut her spirit loose. | 现已准备好纵身一跃释放她的灵魂 |
[1:13:12] | Mom. | 妈 |
[1:13:21] | Do you know what you want? | 你想得到什么 |
[1:13:27] | I mean, from him. | 我是说从他身上 |
[1:13:33] | Respect. | 尊重 |
[1:13:37] | Tenderness. | 柔情 |
[1:13:39] | Then tell him now. | 那现在告诉他 |
[1:13:42] | And leave this lopsided house. | 然后离开这座没平衡感的房子 |
[1:13:47] | Do not come back until he give you those things. | 他没给你这些前不要回来 |
[1:13:52] | With both hands open. | 直到他双手奉上 |
[1:14:01] | I can’t.. | 我做不到 |
[1:14:05] | Losing him does not matter. | 失去他不算什么 |
[1:14:09] | It is you who will be found… | 你会被人 |
[1:14:15] | and cherished. | 珍爱的 |
[1:14:42] | So my mom sees this mirror at the foot of our bed. | 我妈看见我们床脚边的镜子 |
[1:14:46] | And she says, “Ai-ya, a mirror there is bad luck. | 她说 哎呀 镜子放卧室不吉利 |
[1:14:49] | All the romance will hit the mirror, | 所有的爱情运会撞到镜子上 |
[1:14:51] | poom, go back the opposite direction.” | 然后跑向反方向 |
[1:14:53] | – So what’d you do? – We moved it. | – 你们怎么做了 – 我们把镜子移开了 |
[1:14:56] | Yeah, put that baby right on the ceiling. | 没错 就摆在天花板上 |
[1:14:59] | Waverly loves it. | 薇芙丽喜欢那样 |
[1:15:02] | Yeah, well, this guy will do anything for her. | 对 这家伙愿意为我妈做任何事 |
[1:15:04] | But they’re allies. But now it’s getting out of hand… | 但是他们是盟友 现在已经失控了 |
[1:15:06] | because after the party, we’re going to Lake Tahoe… | 因为聚会过后 我们会去太浩湖 |
[1:15:09] | and he actually asked her to come with us. | 他叫她和我们一起 |
[1:15:11] | – Come on, she’d have a great time! – What are you, nuts? | – 她会玩得很开心的 – 你是疯了吗 |
[1:15:13] | Well, choosing between the two of us, | 我们之中选一个 |
[1:15:15] | I’d rather I had the great time, okay? | 我宁愿我玩得开心 |
[1:15:16] | – You’ll have a good time. – Easy, cowboy. | – 你会玩得开心的 – 悠着点 |
[1:15:20] | Ah, ah, ah, save some room for dessert. | 留点肚子给甜点 |
[1:15:22] | My mom’s cake is coming out, | 我妈的蛋糕快好了 |
[1:15:24] | and I’m counting on you guys for two slices apiece. | 我指望你们每人吃两块 |
[1:15:26] | – She’ll eat five. – Ten. | – 她会吃五块 – 十块 |
[1:15:28] | Uh, do I have to use chopsticks? Because it could take a while. | 我一定要用筷子吗 会费点事 |
[1:15:36] | Where’s Jennifer? | 詹妮弗在哪儿 |
[1:15:38] | Oh, her Auntie June is putting her down for a nap. | 琼在哄她睡觉 |
[1:15:40] | Oh, I’ll go check on her. | 我去看看她 |
[1:15:45] | And now the woman was old. | 现在这个女人已经老矣 |
[1:15:48] | And she had a daughter who grew up speaking only… | 她的女儿只在讲英语的环境中成长 |
[1:15:50] | English and swallowing more Coca-Cola than sorrow. | 喝的可乐比悲伤多 |
[1:15:54] | – What’s “Sorrow”? – Sadness. | – 什么是悲伤 – 难过的意思 |
[1:15:59] | For a long time now, the woman wanted to give her daughter… | 一直以来 这个女人想要给她的女儿 |
[1:16:02] | the single swan feather and tell her– | 这根天鹅羽毛 告诉她 |
[1:16:05] | Is the swan real? Is there really a swan? | 天鹅是真的吗 真的有一只天鹅吗 |
[1:16:09] | I don’t know, baby. It’s my mama’s story.. | 我不知道 宝贝 这是我妈妈的故事 |
[1:16:13] | And we can’t ask her ’cause she’s dead. | 我们没法问她因为她去世了 |
[1:16:27] | And the woman would tell her daughter… | 这个女人会告诉她女儿 |
[1:16:30] | “This feather may look worthless… | 这根羽毛看似一文不值 |
[1:16:33] | but it comes from afar | 但却是远从千里而来 |
[1:16:35] | and carries with it all my good intentions.” | 承载着我的一片心 |
[1:16:38] | – What’s “Intentions”? – Oh, a good intention means… | – 什么是一片心意 – 意思是 |
[1:16:42] | everything your mommy wants for you. | 每个母亲都想为孩子做的事 |
[1:16:45] | Like blowing out candles on your birthday cake. | 比如吹你生日蛋糕上的蜡烛 |
[1:17:03] | – Like it? – It’s great. | – 喜欢吗 – 很不错 |
[1:17:06] | It’s gonna be great for June.. | 琼会喜欢的 |
[1:17:09] | I bet the twins are in China right now… | 我打赌现在中国的那对双胞胎 |
[1:17:11] | dreaming about their little American sister. | 正在梦见她们的美国小妹妹 |
[1:17:14] | Yes, but their mother…H | 是的 但她们的母亲 |
[1:17:17] | that’s who they waited for all these years. | 才是她们这么多年等候的人 |
[1:17:20] | – They will be so sad. – They already know. | – 她们会很伤心的 – 她们已经知道了 |
[1:17:23] | Auntie Lindo wrote them. | 林多阿姨写信给她们了 |
[1:17:33] | As a little girl, I wondered every day. | 当我还是个小女孩 我每天都想知道 |
[1:17:39] | Worst of all, I had to wonder in secret. | 最槽糕的是 我必须偷偷地好奇 |
[1:17:45] | I had no memory of my mother… | 我对母亲没有记忆 |
[1:17:47] | because she was kicked out of the house… | 因为她在我四岁那年 |
[1:17:50] | when I was four years old. | 被赶出家门了 |
[1:18:22] | The scar from the soup… | 滚汤留下的疤 |
[1:18:24] | was all I had left of my mother. | 是我对母亲仅有的印象 |
[1:18:27] | My grandmother, my uncle and my aunties… | 我的外祖母 舅舅和舅妈 |
[1:18:30] | they taught me to hate her. | 他们教我恨她 |
[1:18:33] | They accused her of breaking her vow as a widow… | 他们指责她不守妇道 |
[1:18:37] | and running away to marry a rich man… | 跑去嫁给有钱人 |
[1:18:41] | who already had a wife, two concubines and other children. | 那人已经有了三房太太和其他孩子 |
[1:18:47] | Then one day, as my grandmother was lying in her deathbed… | 有一天我的外祖母卧病在床奄奄一息时 |
[1:19:49] | I saw my own face looking back at me. | 我在母亲的脸上看到了自己 |
[1:20:52] | It was an old tradition. | 这是一个旧习俗 |
[1:20:54] | Only the most dutiful of daughters… | 只有最孝顺的女儿 |
[1:20:57] | would put her own flesh in a soup… | 才会割肉煮汤 |
[1:21:00] | to save her mother’s life. | 救她母亲一命 |
[1:21:05] | My mother did this with her whole heart… | 我母亲全心全意地尽孝 |
[1:21:09] | even though my grandmother had disowned her. | 尽管我的外祖母已经不认她了 |
[1:21:14] | This is how a daughter honors her mother. | 这是一个女儿报效她母亲的方式 |
[1:21:18] | The pain of the flesh is nothing. | 皮肉上的苦痛算不了什么 |
[1:21:21] | The pain you must forget. | 你必须忘记疼痛 |
[1:21:25] | This is the most important sacrifice… | 这才是一个女儿能为母亲 |
[1:21:29] | a daughter can make for her mother. | 做的最重要的牺牲 |
[1:22:50] | I lost her once before. | 我失去过她一次 |
[1:22:54] | This time I took my chance before it was too late. | 这一次我在一切都太晚之前放手一搏 |
[1:23:04] | Mom? Mom? | 妈 妈 |
[1:23:08] | Let’s go. | 咱们走吧 |
[1:23:13] | Jennifer, give the soup to Mommy. | 詹妮弗 把汤给妈妈 |
[1:23:16] | I’m afraid you’ll spill it. There you go. | 我怕你撒了 好嘞 |
[1:23:21] | Good girl. | 乖孩子 |
[1:23:24] | Ted coming to dinner? | 泰德来吃晚饭吗 |
[1:23:27] | Why do you ask that? | 你为什么问 |
[1:23:29] | Huh, you bought flour, egg… | 你买了面粉 鸡蛋 |
[1:23:32] | bittersweet Hershey bar, Skippy Chunky. | 好时巧克力条 四季宝花生酱 |
[1:23:36] | Good for only chocolate peanut butter pie. Who else eat? | 正好是做巧克力花生酱派的材料 还有谁会吃 |
[1:23:43] | Well, I-it’s not a dinner exactly. | 准确说不是晚餐 |
[1:23:46] | Just sort of a meeting at the house tonight. | 就是今晚在家见面 |
[1:23:51] | – Meeting? – Yeah, well, we both thought it was time… | – 见面? – 我们都认为是时候 |
[1:23:56] | to settle all the property stuff. | 处置所有的财物 |
[1:23:58] | – Both? – Yeah, both. Absolutely. | – 你们都? – 是的 |
[1:24:03] | What you going to ask for? | 你准备要什么 |
[1:24:07] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么 |
[1:24:10] | Talking about what you’re worth. | 我在说你的价值 |
[1:24:19] | That first afternoon he introduced himself on campus… | 他在校园里第一次自我介绍的下午 |
[1:24:23] | he asked to borrow my notes. | 他问我借笔记 |
[1:24:25] | I pretended I didn’t know who he was. | 我假装不知道他是谁 |
[1:24:28] | Um, this is so good. It is. | 这个真好吃 |
[1:24:31] | People look at the newspaper, and they see the articles– | 人们看报纸 看到的是文章 |
[1:24:34] | I don’t know why I’m saying this. | 我不知道我为什么说这个 |
[1:24:39] | I knew who you were when you came up to me. | 你走向我的时候 我知道你是谁 |
[1:24:42] | I-I’ve watched you for weeks, like all the girls watch you… | 我观察你好几周了 和其他女孩一样 |
[1:24:45] | and I was excited and flattered when you came on to me. | 你走到我面前的时候我又惊又喜 |
[1:24:50] | So I baked you this pie and, and we had dinner. | 所以我给你烤了这个派 我们共进了晚餐 |
[1:24:54] | Only I don’t know who you are. | 只是我不了解你 |
[1:24:57] | I know who your family is and what they do… | 我知道你的家族也知道他们从事的行业 |
[1:25:01] | and suddenly I’m starting to | 突然间我开始 |
[1:25:02] | wonder whether I belong in this conversation. | 好奇我是否融进了这次对话 |
[1:25:05] | I don’t like feeling that way. | 我不喜欢这种感觉 |
[1:25:09] | Well. | 好吧 |
[1:25:12] | I love you said that. | 我爱你说这话 |
[1:25:18] | I didn’t say it to impress you. | 我不是为了打动你才说的 |
[1:25:20] | That’s why it did. | 这就是为什么打动了我 |
[1:25:28] | His dad owned a publishing empire. | 他的爸爸坐拥一个出版帝国 |
[1:25:30] | His mom’s family had wineries. | 他妈妈的家族有酒庄 |
[1:25:32] | I’d never been around people like this. | 我从来没和这种人打过交道 |
[1:25:35] | – Dad. Mom. – Hi. | – 爸 妈 – 你好 |
[1:25:38] | This is Rose Hsu, my girlfriend. | 这是我的女朋友 萝丝·许 |
[1:25:40] | The one word sent me into total shock… | 女朋友这三个字使我很震惊 |
[1:25:44] | from which, I’m afraid, | 很久都没 |
[1:25:45] | – I’ve never quite recovered. – How do you do? | – 缓过神 – 你好 |
[1:25:46] | – Hello. Hi. – Hello. | – 你好 – 你好 |
[1:26:00] | Is this a private reverie or can an old lady join you? | 你介意我打断你的沉思加入你吗 |
[1:26:04] | Sure. | 好啊 |
[1:26:06] | You and Ted haven’t known each other long, have you? | 你和泰德没认识多久 对吗 |
[1:26:11] | – Actually, no. – I’ve never | – 事实上没多久 – 我直到今天 |
[1:26:13] | heard him speak of you until this morning. | 早上才从他口中听说你 |
[1:26:17] | But it’s always a thrill for | 对一个母亲来说 |
[1:26:18] | a mother to hear that sort of excitement… | 听到儿子兴奋的口吻 |
[1:26:20] | in her son’s voice. | 总是会有点激动 |
[1:26:23] | So I hope you won’t misunderstand… | 我希望你没有误解我 |
[1:26:25] | what I have to say. | 要说的话 |
[1:26:29] | I want you to know, Rose, that we’re a very liberal family… | 我想让你知道 萝丝 我们是一个很开明的家庭 |
[1:26:32] | I couldn’t believe what she was telling me. | 我简直不敢信她对我说的话 |
[1:26:34] | – and we know several very… | 我们认识几个非常 |
[1:26:35] | – charming Oriental people. | 有魅力的东方人 |
[1:26:36] | It was straight out of some awful racist movie… | 简直就是一些恶劣种族主义电影情节的翻版 |
[1:26:38] | – It’s just that Ted is going to be working… | 泰德将会和 |
[1:26:39] | like The World of Suzie Wong. | 就像电影 苏丝黄的世界(1960) |
[1:26:40] | with his father in the company, and, uh, he’s going to be… | 他父亲一起在公司里工作 他会被 |
[1:26:43] | judged by people of a different standard: | 有不同准则的人评头论足 |
[1:26:45] | publishers, authors, critics and their wives. | 出版商 作家 评论家还有他们的妻子 |
[1:26:51] | And they won’t be as understanding as we are. | 他们不会像我们这么体谅 |
[1:26:55] | Mrs. Jordan, you sound as if Ted and I are getting married. | 乔丹夫人 你的口气听起来像是我和泰德要结婚 |
[1:27:00] | That’s hardly the case. | 八字还没一撇 |
[1:27:02] | Oh, I know, dear, it’s just that, well, the way the world is. | 我知道 亲爱的 世人就是这样的 |
[1:27:06] | How unpopular Vietnam was. | 越南多不受欢迎 |
[1:27:09] | I’m not Vietnamese. I’m American. | 我不是越南人 我是美国人 |
[1:27:12] | Of course you are. It’s just– | 你当然是 |
[1:27:16] | I understand you. That’s all I’m trying to say. | 我理解你 这就是我要说的 |
[1:27:18] | – Do you understand? – Mom? | – 你明白吗 – 妈 |
[1:27:21] | Hello, darling. We’re | 亲爱的 |
[1:27:22] | – having a wonderful visit. – “Hello, darling”? | – 我们聊得正好 – “亲爱的”? |
[1:27:25] | You know, you know, I always knew you were a jerk. | 我一直知道你很混蛋 |
[1:27:28] | But, shit, this is the first time in my life I am ashamed of you. | 但是 靠 这是我人生中第一次为你感到羞耻 |
[1:27:34] | How dare you use that language. | 你竟敢出言不逊 |
[1:27:36] | I think you better apologize right now. | 我觉得你最好现在道歉 |
[1:27:39] | I’m sorry, Mom, you made a fuckin’ asshole out of yourself… | 对不起 妈 你在我爱的女人面前 |
[1:27:41] | in front of the woman I love. | 表现得很混蛋 |
[1:27:46] | We’re outta here. | 我们走 |
[1:28:00] | I wasn’t sorry what his mother did. | 她母亲的所作所为我不觉得难过 |
[1:28:03] | How else would I have known, if he hadn’t rescued me… | 如果他没来救场 我怎么会知道 |
[1:28:06] | how wonderful he was? | 他是这么好的一个人 |
[1:28:09] | That he loved me. | 他爱着我 |
[1:28:23] | In six months, we were married. | 六个月后 我们结婚了 |
[1:28:27] | After the wedding, the fears began to sink in… | 婚礼结束后 恐惧逐渐 |
[1:28:30] | take hold. | 浮现 |
[1:28:32] | Everything I had married into. | 我还嫁给了 |
[1:28:34] | The pressure, the weight of it. | 压力 和压力带来的负担 |
[1:28:38] | I promised myself that I could handle it. | 我承诺自己可以摆平 |
[1:28:41] | That nothing, nothing could ever change me. | 没有什么能够改变我 |
[1:28:46] | Or us. | 或者我们 |
[1:28:50] | Wayne, could you chop this up into smaller slices? | 韦恩 你能帮我把这个切成小片吗 |
[1:28:52] | Last time they were way too big. Thanks. | 上次切得太大了 谢了 |
[1:28:55] | Ah, also, could you dress the deviled eggs… | 你能在芥末鸡蛋里 |
[1:28:58] | – with tomatoes and watercress– – At first, | – 加番茄和西洋菜吗 – 起初 |
[1:28:59] | it was just a bunch of little things… | 只是一堆小事情 |
[1:29:01] | loving things a wife would | 出于爱 一个妻子在 |
[1:29:03] | do behind the scenes without him even knowing. | 丈夫背后做的事 |
[1:29:06] | You know, like paying the household bills… | 比如 支付账单 |
[1:29:07] | – Joe, last time these… | 乔 上次 |
[1:29:08] | – deviled eggs were too salty. | 这些芥末鸡蛋太闲了 |
[1:29:09] | buying him special gifts that showed my love. | 给他买特别的礼物表达我的爱 |
[1:29:10] | That’s still too salty. | 还是太咸了 |
[1:29:12] | The beautiful part was, he never had to ask for any of this. | 最赞的是 他从未开口索要这一切 |
[1:29:17] | In fact, he never even knew. | 事实是他从来都不知道 |
[1:29:21] | I told myself that was the selfless way, the loving way… | 我告诉自己这是无私奉献爱的方式 |
[1:29:24] | instead of the chicken shit way. | 而不是怯懦的表现 |
[1:29:31] | I was offered a fellowship in fine arts… | 我获得了爱达荷州一所 |
[1:29:34] | to this school I admired in Idaho. | 我钦慕的学校艺术学院的奖学金 |
[1:29:36] | Of course, that was out of the question. | 当然 继续深造不太可能 |
[1:29:39] | The interesting part was, I never asked the question… | 有意思的是 我从来没问过 |
[1:29:42] | not even of myself. | 更没问过自己 |
[1:29:45] | Sometimes I really don’t understand. I’m serious. | 有时我真的不懂 我认真的 |
[1:29:48] | – He leaves his wife– – He | 他离开了他的妻子 |
[1:29:50] | was running two of his family’s magazines now… | 他现在掌管家族的两个杂志社 |
[1:29:52] | – and there were four or five | 每周会有 |
[1:29:53] | business affairs each week. | 四或五次商业应酬 |
[1:29:56] | I was glad to help and knew he appreciated it. | 我很乐意帮忙 也知道他对我心存感激 |
[1:29:59] | I just don’t understand that at all. I don’t– | 我真的一点也不理解 |
[1:30:01] | I really don’t. I mean, if you can explain it to me. | 真的 如果你能解释给我 |
[1:30:03] | – Because– – Why does one cultivate their daughter? | – 因为… – 为什么一个人要培养他们的女儿 |
[1:30:08] | I mean, they happen to disagree with each other. | 他们正好互不赞同 |
[1:30:08] | And, over time, I could see that Ted was becoming bored. | 随着时间的流逝 我可以看出泰特变得厌倦 |
[1:30:13] | We said less and less. | 我们之间话越来越少 |
[1:30:17] | So I tried harder. | 我更加努力去试 |
[1:30:21] | I got pregnant for the worst reason imaginable, | 我怀孕的理由是能想象的到的最糟的一条 |
[1:30:24] | a last attempt to hang on. | 挽留住婚姻的最后一招 |
[1:30:26] | Although, of course, I never thought of it that way at the time. | 尽管当时我并没有这么想 |
[1:30:30] | The good news was, he adored her. | 好消息是 他喜欢她 |
[1:30:47] | Honey, should we eat in or out tonight? | 亲爱的 我们今晚在家吃还是出去吃 |
[1:30:51] | – You decide. – Well, uh… | – 你决定 – 呃 |
[1:30:54] | if we eat in, I-I’ve got lamb chops. | 如果我们在家吃 家里有羊排 |
[1:30:58] | Or I could call Ernie’s or Square One. | 或者我可以打电话叫外卖 |
[1:31:01] | Whatever you want. Really, it’ll be great. | 什么都行 随便你 |
[1:31:07] | Okay. I didn’t mean to interrupt your work. | 我不是有心要打断你的工作 |
[1:31:11] | – I’ll figure something out. – You’re not interrupting me. | – 我自己想吧 – 你没有打扰我 |
[1:31:14] | Really, I meant what I said. I want to hear what you want. | 真的 我是认真的 我想听听你的意见 |
[1:31:19] | ‘Cause I could defrost a chicken if the lamb chops are too heavy. | 我可以解冻鸡肉如果羊排太油腻了 |
[1:31:22] | You’ve had a hard day. I-I don’t really care. | 你一天下来很辛苦 我没什么的 |
[1:31:25] | I– I just want you to… | 我只是想让你 |
[1:31:30] | be happy. | 高兴 |
[1:31:39] | Honey, what’s wrong? | 亲爱的 怎么了 |
[1:31:41] | Did I say something wrong? | 我说错什么了吗 |
[1:31:45] | It’s just that once in a while… | 只是偶尔 |
[1:31:48] | I would like to hear what you want. | 我想听听你的意见 |
[1:31:52] | – What do you mean? – I mean, I’d like to hear your voice… | – 你什么意思 – 我想听到你的心声 |
[1:31:56] | even if we disagree. | 尽管我们互不赞同 |
[1:31:59] | – You used to be different. – Different? | – 你以前不这样 – 不这样? |
[1:32:03] | You used to have an opinion. | 你以前很有想法 |
[1:32:04] | – We used to argue. – That’s what you want? | – 我们以前会争辩 – 这就是你想要的吗 |
[1:32:06] | – You want us to argue? – I want you to be here. | – 你想和我吵架? – 我想要你在我左右 |
[1:32:10] | Honey, I’m here. I’m here for you. You just have to– | 亲爱的 我就在这里 你只是要… |
[1:32:15] | Just tell me what you want. | 告诉我你想要什么 |
[1:32:22] | I told you, I’ll do the chicken. | 我告诉过你 我去做鸡肉 |
[1:32:24] | Are you happy? | 你幸福吗 |
[1:32:32] | Of course I am. | 当然幸福 |
[1:32:52] | What’s her name? | 她叫什么 |
[1:32:58] | Is she beautiful? | 她漂亮吗 |
[1:33:07] | Look, I think that we have to sell the house… | 听着 我认为我们必须卖掉房子 |
[1:33:10] | but anything that you want, | 但是如果你有任何想留下 |
[1:33:10] | any special things that you need, you let me know. | 任何有特殊意义你需要的东西 告诉我 |
[1:33:12] | Need any cash, you call | 需要现金 你打电话给 |
[1:33:14] | – Barry and he– – What’s her fucking name? | – 巴里 – 她叫什么名字 |
[1:33:18] | What’s the difference? | 有什么区别吗 |
[1:33:22] | She’s not the reason. | 她不是我们分手的原因 |
[1:33:33] | What you going to do with leftovers after he eat one slice? | 他吃完一块后剩下的派你怎么处理 |
[1:33:39] | Throw it away, I guess. | 扔掉吧 我想 |
[1:33:44] | You ask yourself why you make this? | 你自问为什么要做这个 |
[1:33:49] | Because I know, even if you don’t. | 我知道 即便你不知道 |
[1:33:54] | I like being tragic, Ma. | 妈 我喜欢自怨自艾 |
[1:33:55] | I learned it from you. | 我从你那里学的 |
[1:34:03] | You think he sees this pie… | 你以为他看见这个派 |
[1:34:06] | now he’s so sorry take you for granted. | 就会为不珍惜你而感到抱歉吗 |
[1:34:09] | You think this, you the foolish one. | 你这么想 你就太傻了 |
[1:34:15] | Every time you give him gift… | 每一次你送给他礼物 |
[1:34:18] | like begging. | 就像是在乞求 |
[1:34:20] | “Take this. Oh, sorry. | “收下这个 对不起 |
[1:34:24] | Please forgive me. | 请原谅我 |
[1:34:26] | I’m not worth as much as you.” | 我没有你有分量” |
[1:34:29] | So he only take you more for granted. | 所以他把你的付出当做理所当然 |
[1:34:37] | You’re just like my mother. | 你和我母亲一样 |
[1:34:41] | Never know what you’re worth. | 从来不知道自己的价值 |
[1:34:45] | Until too late. | 直到太晚了 |
[1:35:05] | When I went to live with my mother… | 我搬去和我母亲住时 |
[1:35:08] | I thought I had become so happy… | 我以为我会幸福 |
[1:35:11] | so important. | 会被重视 |
[1:35:13] | Then my new family returned from the countryside: | 接着我的新家庭成员从乡下回来了 |
[1:35:19] | Wu Tsing, his other wives and children. | 吴清 和他的妻儿们 |
[1:35:25] | Now I wondered what my place in this family would be. | 我开始好奇我自己在这个家的地位会是什么 |
[1:35:31] | First Wife was a ghost of a woman. | 大太太是个病秧子 |
[1:35:34] | She blinded herself to the faults of her daughters. | 对她女儿们的过错视而不见 |
[1:35:39] | Third Wife never gave Wu Tsing a son… | 三太太从来没给吴清添过一子 |
[1:35:43] | and lived in fear she’d be kicked out. | 活在被赶出去的恐惧中 |
[1:35:47] | But even she outranked my mother… | 但是甚至她都比我母亲有地位 |
[1:35:50] | who was only Fourth Wife… | 母亲只是个四太太 |
[1:35:53] | the newest one. | 最小的姨太 |
[1:35:56] | And finally, Second Wife… | 最后是二太太 |
[1:35:59] | the empress of the household… | 一家之中的女主人 |
[1:36:02] | with Wu Tsing’s only son. | 和吴清唯一的儿子 |
[1:36:06] | I watched how my mother looked at this boy. | 我观察到我母亲看这个男孩的眼神 |
[1:36:10] | And I wondered why. | 我想知道为什么 |
[1:37:58] | My precious pearl necklace… | 我宝贝的珍珠项链 |
[1:38:00] | that had almost bought my mind and heart… | 几乎收买了我的心 |
[1:38:04] | it was made out of glass. | 它是玻璃做的 |
[1:40:48] | I told her the rest so fast… | 我很快说完了余下的部分 |
[1:40:51] | as if it would hurt her less. | 好像这样就能减少对她的伤害似的 |
[1:41:06] | No one believed she was raped. | 没有人相信她是被强暴的 |
[1:41:09] | Not even her own mother. | 甚至连她自己的妈妈也不信 |
[1:41:18] | She had nothing. No one would take her in. | 她一无所有 没有人收留她 |
[1:41:24] | No one would give her work. | 没有人愿意给她工作 |
[1:41:27] | And she was carrying Wu Tsing’s child. | 她那时又怀了吴清的孩子 |
[1:41:32] | To save her baby… | 为了孩子 |
[1:41:34] | there was only one place she could go. | 她也只有一个地方可去了 |
[1:41:40] | And when he was born, my little brother… | 当他出生的时候 我的小弟弟 – 二太太 你把儿子还给我 |
[1:41:45] | – Second Wife claimed him as her reward. | – 二太太竟据为己有 – 小宝 小宝 |
[1:43:00] | They were doing nothing… | 他们无动于衷 |
[1:43:02] | only waiting for my mother to die. | 眼睁睁看着我妈妈死去 |
[1:43:05] | Second Wife told me my mother had died by accident… | 二姨太告诉我 我妈妈是意外死亡的 |
[1:43:09] | taking too much opium. | 因为吞食鸦片过量 |
[1:43:12] | – Lies! I know my mother killed herself on purpose. – Mommy! | – 谎言 我知道我妈妈是自杀的 – 妈妈 |
[1:43:18] | She had eaten sticky sweet dumplings… | 她吃下了一个又一个豆沙包 |
[1:43:21] | one after the other, filled with opium. | 里面填满了鸦片 |
[1:43:25] | When the poison broke into her body… | 当毒素在她体内爆发时 |
[1:43:28] | she whispered to me that | 她对我耳语道 |
[1:43:30] | she would rather kill her own weak spirit… | 她宁愿杀死自己微弱的灵魂 |
[1:43:33] | so she could give me a stronger one. | 那样就能给我一个更强大的灵魂 |
[1:44:09] | My mother chose the date of her death… | 我母亲选择了在那天死去 |
[1:44:12] | to give me the power over her enemies. | 给予我对付那些敌人的力量 |
[1:44:48] | So, on that day, Wu Tsing promised to revere my mother… | 所以 那天 吴清答应将我妈扶正 |
[1:44:53] | as if she had been First Wife, his only wife. | 作为他的大太太 唯一的太太 |
[1:44:58] | He promised to raise me and my mother’s son… | 他答应抚养我和我母亲的儿子 |
[1:45:01] | as his honored children, the highest position. | 作为自己的孩子 放在最高的地位 |
[1:45:14] | And on that day… | 从那天起 |
[1:45:16] | Second Wife’s hair began to turn white. | 二太太的头发开始变白 |
[1:45:24] | And on that day, I learned to shout. | 从那天起 我才学会了呐喊 |
[1:45:31] | Mom, what does it mean? | 妈 为什么说这个 |
[1:45:33] | What does it mean, Mommy? | 有什么意义吗 妈 |
[1:45:36] | I tell you the story because I was raised… | 我告诉你这故事 是因为 |
[1:45:39] | the Chinese way. | 我在中式教育下长大 |
[1:45:42] | I was taught to desire nothing… | 被要求无欲无求 |
[1:45:44] | to swallow other people’s misery… | 忍气吞声 |
[1:45:47] | and to eat my own bitterness. | 打碎牙往肚里咽 |
[1:45:51] | And even though I taught my daughter the opposite… | 即使我以相反的方式教育我的女儿 |
[1:45:55] | but still she came out the same way. | 她却仍难逃窠臼 |
[1:46:02] | Maybe it is because she was born to me and she was born a girl. | 也许因为你是我生的 还是个女孩 |
[1:46:06] | And I was born to my mother, and I was born a girl. | 一如我是我母亲生的 也是个女孩 |
[1:46:09] | All of us like stairs… | 我们就像上台阶一般 |
[1:46:12] | one step after another, going up, going down… | 一步接一步 或上 或下 |
[1:46:18] | but always going the same way. | 步履却始终踏在同一条路上 |
[1:46:26] | But, no, this cannot be. | 但是 不 不能这样 |
[1:46:32] | This, this not knowing what you’re worth. | 不知道自己的价值 |
[1:46:37] | This not begin with you. | 这不是自你开始的 |
[1:46:41] | My mother not know her worth… | 我母亲意识到自己的价值时 |
[1:46:45] | until too late. | 已太迟了 |
[1:46:48] | Too late for her, but not for me. | 对她来说太迟了 对我来说却不 |
[1:47:00] | Now we will see if not too late for you, hmm? | 现在 我们会明白 对你来说是否也太迟了呢 |
[1:47:25] | Rose, I’m- – I’m standing out in the rain… | 萝丝 我 我在外面的大雨里站着 |
[1:47:29] | ringing the bell for 1 5 minutes. Are you okay? | 门铃按了十五分钟 你还好吗 |
[1:47:34] | Honey? | 亲爱的 |
[1:47:37] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[1:47:40] | Honey? | 亲爱的 |
[1:47:44] | Get out of my house. | 滚出我的房子 |
[1:47:48] | You heard me. Get out! | 你听见了 滚出去 |
[1:47:57] | Honey, it’s our house. | 亲爱的 这是我们的房子 |
[1:48:00] | We agreed to sell it. That’s why I’m here. | 我们说好要卖掉它 这也是我来这的目的 |
[1:48:07] | You’re not taking my house. | 你不能拿走我的房子 |
[1:48:10] | You’re not taking my daughter. | 也不能带走我的女儿 |
[1:48:14] | You’re not taking any part of me. | 不能拿走我的任何一部分 |
[1:48:21] | ‘Cause you don’t know who I am.. | 因为你不知道我是谁 |
[1:48:27] | I died 60 years ago. | 我六十年前就死了 |
[1:48:34] | I ate opium… | 我吃了鸦片 |
[1:48:38] | and I died… | 然后死去 |
[1:48:41] | for my daughter’s sake. | 为了我女儿好 |
[1:48:46] | Now get out of my house! | 滚出我的屋子 |
[1:49:04] | – I’m listening. – It’s not your fault, none of it. | – 我在听 – 这不是你的错 一点也不是 |
[1:49:10] | I was the one who told you that… | 是我曾说过 |
[1:49:14] | my love wasn’t good enough… | 我的爱渺小卑微 |
[1:49:19] | that your love was worth more than mine. | 你的爱才熠熠生辉 |
[1:49:25] | I was so full of shit. | 都是些傻话 |
[1:49:42] | – Oh. – Mmm, very good. | – 噢 – 唔 好吃 |
[1:49:43] | No. | 才不呢 |
[1:49:46] | – Can I have a bit? – Oh, it’s Auntie June’s piece. | – 我能来点儿吗 – 噢 这是给琼的 |
[1:49:50] | – It is? – Yeah. | – 是吗 – 是啊 |
[1:49:54] | – Mmm. Thank you. – Sure. | – 嗯 谢谢 – 没什么 |
[1:50:02] | It’s so wonderful, Rosie, how everybody’s here. | 真是太好了 萝西 大家都在一起 |
[1:50:05] | Yeah. Your mom would’ve been so proud. | 是啊 你妈妈一定会非常骄傲 |
[1:50:11] | No meal’s ever gonna be the same without your mom’s famous crab. | 没有了她拿手的蟹 饭的味道都逊色了 |
[1:50:19] | Last Chinese New Year, we had Auntie Lindo’s family to dinner. | 去年农历新年 我们邀林多阿姨一家来吃晚饭 |
[1:50:24] | – It was the last time my mom would ever cook… – Wow! | – 那是我妈妈最后一次能下厨做饭了 – 哇 |
[1:50:26] | – her famous crab. – Yeah, we can eat crab! Mmm, yummy. | – 她的拿手菜螃蟹 – 是啊 我们能吃螃蟹啦 唔 好好吃 |
[1:50:34] | Old Chong, everything all right? | 老庄 一切都还好吧 |
[1:50:40] | How is everything? | 一切还好吗 |
[1:50:42] | Oh, excellent. Bravo. | 噢 特别好 非常棒 |
[1:50:47] | Best, best quality. | 最好的 一流的 |
[1:50:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[1:50:53] | You see? Best quality. | 听见没有 一流的 |
[1:50:57] | That’s how my mother was. Everything had to be the best. | 我妈妈就是这样子 什么都要是最好的 |
[1:51:02] | She believed the same about me, that I could be anything. | 她对我也同样有信心 认为我无往不胜 |
[1:51:07] | Instead… | 相反 |
[1:51:11] | I was the biggest disappointment in my mother’s life. | 我却成我母亲人生中最大的失意 |
[1:51:18] | Shoshana, stop playing with your food. | 肖莎娜 不要用你的食物弹琴了 |
[1:51:26] | Say, didn’t you play the piano once? | 你不是曾经弹过琴了吗 |
[1:51:30] | – No, not really. – Yeah, I could’ve sworn. | – 不 不弹了 – 是啊 我想也是 |
[1:51:34] | After all these years, she was still so sneaky. | 这么多年过去了 她说话还是那么阴阳怪气 |
[1:51:37] | Hey, June, how your business go? | 嘿 琼 你的生意怎么样了 |
[1:51:41] | Your mother tell me you busy, busy, busy. | 你妈妈告诉我你总是忙得不可开交 |
[1:51:43] | It’s going pretty good. | 还挺好的 |
[1:51:45] | Although one of my clients seems to think… | 尽管我的有些客户以为 |
[1:51:48] | that freelance means free, just because we’re friends. | 是朋友就可以白干活不付钱 |
[1:51:56] | Listen, June, I don’t know how to tell you this. | 听着 琼 我不知道怎么跟你解释 |
[1:52:00] | But that stuff you wrote- – | 但是你写的那东西 |
[1:52:02] | Well, the firm decided it was unacceptable. | 公司决定不予使用 |
[1:52:07] | You’re lying. You- – You said- – You said it was terrific. | 你撒谎 你说过 你说写得很棒的 |
[1:52:10] | – I didn’t want to hurt your feelings. – You said that- – | – 我是不想伤害你的感情 – 你说过 |
[1:52:12] | I was trying to see if I could fix it somehow… | 我当时是试着看还能怎么改一下 |
[1:52:14] | – but it just won’t work. – Look, all copy needs fine- tuning. | – 但根本改不出来 – 听着 所有的文案都需要不断调整 |
[1:52:18] | Rewrites are free, of course. | 改写当然是不收费的 |
[1:52:20] | I’m just as concerned about making it perfect as you are. | 我和你一样 希望能拿出好的东西 |
[1:52:23] | June, I really don’t think- – | 琼 我真的不认为 |
[1:52:24] | Just tell me what they want to have changed. | 你就告诉我他们想怎么改 |
[1:52:27] | I’ll give you a call next week, | 我下周给你电话 |
[1:52:29] | okay? We’ll go over it line by line. | 好吗 我们一句一句地看 |
[1:52:32] | June, I can’t. | 琼 我办不到 |
[1:52:35] | It’s just not… well, sophisticated. | 它就是不够 呃 精致 |
[1:52:39] | I’m sure what you do for | 我知道你为你的其他客户 |
[1:52:41] | your other clients is wonderful. – You girls. | 做的工作很出色 – 姑娘们别吵了 |
[1:52:46] | Ma! | 妈 |
[1:52:47] | And we are a big firm. | 我们是家大公司 |
[1:52:50] | And we need somebody who understands that. | 我们需要明白人来做工作 |
[1:52:53] | Who understands our style. | 明白我们企业风格的人 |
[1:52:56] | What does style have to do with it? | 这又和风格有什么关系 |
[1:52:58] | Oh, god. I mean, really, June. “Three benefits. Three needs. | 噢 天呐 我是说 真的 琼 “三项优势 三种需求 |
[1:53:01] | Three reasons to buy. Satisfaction guaranteed. | 三个购买的理由 包您满意 |
[1:53:03] | For today’s and tomorrow’s tax needs.” | 帮您节省今天和明日的税金” |
[1:53:04] | That’s just part of it. | 那只是一部分 |
[1:53:06] | Yeah, the bad part. | 是 最差的部分 |
[1:53:30] | True. Cannot teach style. | 真的 风格是教不来的 |
[1:53:34] | June not like Waverly. | 琼和薇芙丽不一样 |
[1:53:37] | Must be born this way. | 应该是生来如此 |
[1:53:41] | I was so humiliated. | 我感到颜面尽失 |
[1:53:44] | Outsmarted by Waverly and betrayed by my own mother. | 被薇芙丽占尽了便宜 还遭到自己妈妈的奚落 |
[1:54:01] | I see you didn’t touch your crab. | 我看你都没动你的螃蟹啊 |
[1:54:04] | Like I said at dinner, not hungry. | 我晚饭时就说了 我不饿 |
[1:54:11] | What? Still mad at Waverly? | 怎么了 还在生薇芙丽的气吗 |
[1:54:15] | How could I be mad at someone with all that style? | 我怎么能对那么有风格的人生气 |
[1:54:18] | It’s just a shame that I wasn’t born that way. | 只怪我自己天生不长进 |
[1:54:21] | – So it’s me you’re mad at? – No. | – 所以你是在生我的气咯 – 不 |
[1:54:24] | I’m just sorry that you got stuck with such a loser… | 我就是遗憾你怎么会摊上我这么失败的女儿 |
[1:54:27] | that I’ve always been so disappointing. | 我总是让人失望 |
[1:54:29] | What you mean, disappoint? | 什么意思 失望 |
[1:54:32] | – Piano? – Everything. | – 你是说钢琴吗 – 所有的一切 |
[1:54:34] | My grades, my job. | 我的成绩 我的工作 |
[1:54:37] | Not getting married. | 没有结婚 |
[1:54:39] | – Everything you expected of me. – Not expect anything! | – 所有一切你指望我有的 – 我没有指望任何东西 |
[1:54:42] | Never expect! | 从来没有什么指望 |
[1:54:45] | Only hope. | 只有期望 |
[1:54:47] | Only hoping best for you. It’s not wrong to hope. | 期望你有最好的 有期望并没有错啊 |
[1:54:52] | No? | 没有吗 |
[1:54:54] | Well, it hurts. | 是啊 可它很伤人 |
[1:54:56] | Because every time you hoped | 因为每次你期待一些 |
[1:54:58] | for something I couldn’t deliver, it hurt. | 我做不到的事 我都很受伤 |
[1:55:03] | It hurt me, Mommy. | 我很受伤啊 妈妈 |
[1:55:07] | And no matter what you hope for… | 不管你的期望是什么 |
[1:55:10] | I’ll never be more than what I am. | 我永远也做不到超越自我的事 |
[1:55:14] | And you never see that! | 而且你从未看到 |
[1:55:17] | What I really am. | 真实的我是什么样 |
[1:55:33] | – Uh- huh. – June… | – 不要 – 琼 |
[1:55:36] | since your baby time… | 从你还是个婴儿时 |
[1:55:39] | I wear this next to my heart. | 我就把它贴在胸口戴着 |
[1:55:42] | Now you wear next to yours. | 现在该轮到你了 |
[1:55:46] | It will help you know. | 它会让你知道 |
[1:55:50] | I see you. | 我看着你 |
[1:55:55] | I see you. | 我也了解你 |
[1:56:07] | That bad crab, only you tried to take it. | 那个坏了的螃蟹 只有你伸手去拿 |
[1:56:13] | Everybody else want best quality. | 所有人都想拿最好的 |
[1:56:17] | You, your thinking different. | 你 只有你的想法不一样 |
[1:56:21] | Waverly took best- quality crab. | 薇芙丽拿了最好的螃蟹 |
[1:56:25] | You took worst. | 你拿了最差的 |
[1:56:29] | Because you have best- quality heart. | 因为你有最善良的心地 |
[1:57:00] | You have style. No one can teach. | 你有你的风格 别人教不来的 |
[1:57:05] | Must be born this way. | 这也是天生的 |
[1:57:14] | I see you. | 我都看在眼里 |
[1:57:41] | All right. | 好啦 |
[1:57:46] | Oh, my god. | 噢 我的天 |
[1:57:48] | – Oh! – Oh! | – 噢 – 噢 |
[1:57:51] | – To June. – To June. – Yeah. | – 敬琼 – 敬琼 |
[1:57:56] | Oh, no. | 噢 不 |
[1:58:00] | – Oh, god. – Thank you. | – 噢 天呐 – 谢谢 |
[1:58:02] | Well, take all of this love with you to China tonight. | 带着今晚所有的爱去中国 |
[1:58:07] | – Oh. – Speech, speech. | – 噢 – 说几句 说几句 |
[1:58:09] | – Oh, no, no, no, no. – Yeah, speech, speech. | – 噢 不不不 – 是啊 说几句 说几句 |
[1:58:10] | – I’m not a speaker. – Louder, louder. – Louder, louder. | – 我不是个演说家 – 大声点 大声点 – 大声点 大声点 |
[1:58:13] | – Stop it. – Hurry up. | – 好啦好啦 – 快点 |
[1:58:15] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[1:58:18] | Well, she spilled on my hair. | 她把香槟洒在我头发上啦 |
[1:58:21] | Not on me. | 没洒到我身上 |
[1:58:24] | I’ve known all of you for so long- – | 我认识你们大家这么久了 |
[1:58:27] | Rose, Lena, Waverly- – | 萝丝 莉娜 薇芙丽 |
[1:58:31] | since we were babies and kids fighting over dolls. | 从我们孩提时代为了洋娃娃你争我夺时就认识了 |
[1:58:36] | It’s amazing, isn’t it? | 真是不容易啊 不是吗 |
[1:58:44] | Auntie Lindo, Auntie Ying Ying… | 林多阿姨 莹莹阿姨 |
[1:58:48] | Auntie An Mei… | 安美阿姨 |
[1:58:51] | long- time friends of my mother… | 是我妈妈一直以来的好友 |
[1:58:54] | you are like second mothers to me… | 你们就像我的第二个母亲 |
[1:58:57] | in so many ways. | 在方方面面 |
[1:59:00] | Truly. | 真的 |
[1:59:05] | I mean, you gave her back to me by finding my sisters. | 你们找到了我失散的姊妹 仿佛又把妈妈带到我身边 |
[1:59:12] | You’ve given me something I can still do for her. | 你们给了我一个机会 让我能为她做点什么 |
[1:59:16] | Here, I thought it was too late. Well, it isn’t. | 现在 我想是太迟了 可是 并不算迟 |
[1:59:43] | All right. Well, good night, TC. Good night, Daisy. | 好啦 晚安 TC 晚安 黛西 |
[1:59:48] | – Thank you. Bye- bye. – Uh- huh, okay. Good- bye. | – 谢谢 拜拜 – 啊 好的 再见啦 |
[2:00:11] | Auntie Lindo? | 林多阿姨 |
[2:00:24] | I have something I must tell you. | 我有些事必须要告诉你 |
[2:00:26] | One little thing I forget tell you. | 一件我忘了说的小事 |
[2:00:30] | You know I write letter to your sisters… | 你知道 我写信给你的姐姐们 |
[2:00:34] | telling them how happy you are to find them… | 告诉她们你有多开心能找到她们 |
[2:00:39] | how happy you are you go to China to see them- – | 有多开心你能去中国看她们 |
[2:00:41] | Yes, Auntie Lindo, you’ve already told me this. | 是啊 林多阿姨 你都告诉我了 |
[2:00:45] | And then I signed it… | 然后我签了 |
[2:00:47] | from your mother. | 你妈妈的名字 |
[2:00:50] | What? You signed the letter in my mother’s name? | 什么 你以我妈妈的名字签了那封信吗 |
[2:00:55] | I try write different letter telling them… | 我试着写另一封信告诉她们 |
[2:00:57] | “So sad, too late. Mother gone, dead.” | 多么悲哀 太迟了 你们的妈妈去世了 死了 |
[2:01:01] | But how can I write such letter? No. | 可我怎么能写那样一封信呢 不能 |
[2:01:04] | This is my thinking: Better hear from own sister. | 我是这么想的 这么重要的信息 |
[2:01:09] | Important news. | 不如从她们自己的妹妹口中听到 |
[2:01:10] | You, only one who can- – – You- – | 你 只有你才是那个能 |
[2:01:12] | You mean, they think that she’s still alive? | 你说 她们认为她还活着 |
[2:01:18] | Oh, my God. | 噢 我的天 |
[2:01:20] | My God. | 我的天 |
[2:01:22] | My God. | 我的天 |
[2:01:25] | You have to write back. | 你一定要回信 |
[2:01:26] | Tell them that she’s dead. I can’t tell them that. | 告诉她们说妈妈去世了 我没法告诉她们 |
[2:01:29] | Auntie Lindo, you have to write another letter! | 林多阿姨 你必须再写一封信 |
[2:01:31] | Too late. No way to do this. | 太迟了 没法办到了 |
[2:01:34] | You leaving tonight. You must go. You tell them. | 你今晚就要走了 你必须去 你去告诉她们 |
[2:01:36] | Anyway, this is best way. That my thinking. | 无论如何 这是最好的方式了 我是这么想的 |
[2:01:57] | You know, ever since Mommy died… | 你知道 自从你母亲去世 |
[2:02:00] | it’s like a mystery where everything is. | 所有一切的踪迹都成了谜 |
[2:02:04] | She hides everything: jewelry, even the fake stuff. | 她将一切都藏了起来 珠宝 甚至是那些假货 |
[2:02:12] | For three years she tried to tell me… | 三年来她试着跟我说 |
[2:02:14] | where she hide everything in case she die. | 一旦她去世会把东西藏到哪里 |
[2:02:18] | I guess I wasn’t listening. | 我想我都没怎么听 |
[2:02:22] | I, I picked some things for them. | 我 我收拾出一些遗物你带给她们 |
[2:02:26] | You tell me if they’re okay. | 如果她们收下你告诉我一声 |
[2:02:30] | This one is from me. | 这是我的一点心意 |
[2:02:34] | Old photos of Mom in China. | 你妈妈在中国的旧照 |
[2:02:38] | I don’t need old photos for memory. I have lots. | 我不需要老照片来怀念她 我有很多回忆 |
[2:02:43] | You have lots. Now they should have her. | 你也有很多 现在她们也应该有些关于她的记忆 |
[2:02:48] | Am I right? | 我说的对吗 |
[2:02:50] | Yeah. | 对 |
[2:02:52] | Maybe when they see picture of Mom… | 或许她们看到妈妈的照片 |
[2:02:55] | so young, so beautiful… | 年轻貌美的样子 |
[2:02:59] | they can still remember her. | 她们还能记起她 |
[2:03:02] | Not like the way she look when she left them. | 不是她离开她们时的样子 |
[2:03:07] | The way she looked? | 她看起来的样子? |
[2:03:09] | Oh, yes. | 是的 |
[2:03:11] | Very bad dysentery. | 她得了非常严重的痢疾 |
[2:03:14] | Back then, no medicine, no doctors. | 那时候没有药没有医生 |
[2:03:19] | She almost died, you know. | 她差点就死了 |
[2:03:21] | She never told you? | 她从来没告诉过你吗 |
[2:07:11] | She thought… | 她认为 |
[2:07:13] | “Better not die next to my babies. | “最好不要死在孩子的身边 |
[2:07:16] | Nobody saves babies with such bad luck. | 没有人会救这么不幸的孩子 |
[2:07:20] | Who wants two babies with ghost mother following them? | 谁会想要两个被鬼魂母亲跟随的孩子 |
[2:07:25] | Very bad luck. Very.” | 会是噩运” |
[2:07:36] | You know, everything she had she left with those babies. | 她在孩子身边留下身上带的所有东西 |
[2:07:41] | Everything worth anything. | 所有值钱的东西 |
[2:07:49] | She left a note with all her gold… | 她留下一张便条和她所有的钱 |
[2:07:52] | promising more if babies brought to their father in Chungking. | 承诺如果把孩子带到重庆 她们爸爸那里会有重金答谢 |
[2:08:29] | Ah, so much bad luck. | 真是太多不幸了 |
[2:08:34] | Then, she thought, even worser luck: | 接着更糟的发生了 |
[2:08:38] | Someone save her after she left them. | 有人在她离开孩子们后救了她 |
[2:08:43] | Put her in a truck. | 用卡车拉走她 |
[2:08:45] | She woke up in the hospital, screaming, wanting to die. | 她在医院醒来 撕心裂肺的尖叫 想要寻死 |
[2:08:58] | Come, sit. | 过来坐 |
[2:09:06] | One more thing. | 还有一件事 |
[2:09:08] | I found this in Mommy’s jewelry box. | 我在你妈妈的首饰盒发现了这个 |
[2:09:12] | I know she was saving it for you. | 我知道她想留着给你 |
[2:09:14] | Someday she was going to give to you. I think now. | 她想着有一天给你 我认为就是现在 |
[2:09:19] | Go ahead, open. | 打开吧 |
[2:09:21] | It’s good luck for China. | 祝你中国之行好运 |
[2:09:25] | See? It’s a swan feather. | 看见了吗 是一根天鹅羽毛 |
[2:09:28] | Swan feather? | 天鹅羽毛? |
[2:09:30] | She decided… | 她决定 |
[2:09:33] | she couldn’t give that feather to you, not yet. | 她还不能把羽毛给你 |
[2:09:38] | She didn’t think you would understand. | 她觉得你不会理解的 |
[2:09:42] | Well, I guess I was never very good at listening to her. | 我猜我一直没有好好听她的话 |
[2:09:45] | No! No, no, no. She thought… | 不 不 她认为 |
[2:09:49] | she wasn’t worthy enough mother to give it to you. | 她不是一个称职的母亲 |
[2:09:57] | Worthy enough for me? | 不够称职? |
[2:09:59] | Because she gave up hope about her other daughters. | 因为她放弃了她对其他女儿的希望 |
[2:10:04] | How can she show you how to hope big… | 她怎么能教你去怀有希望 |
[2:10:08] | when she had lost hope? | 当她自己却丢失了希望 |
[2:10:12] | A mother, mother can never give up her hope for her own children. | 一个母亲决不能放弃对孩子的希望 |
[2:10:17] | – Never. – Never. | – 决不 – 决不 |
[2:10:20] | But she never did. | 但是她从没做到 |
[2:10:26] | On the day you’re born… | 你出生的那天 |
[2:10:29] | she transfer all her hope to you… | 她把她所有的希望都转移到你身上 |
[2:10:33] | all hope from those babies. | 对其他两个孩子的所有希望 |
[2:10:40] | She transferred all her hopes to me? | 她把她所有的希望都转移到我的身上? |
[2:10:43] | Mine too. | 还有我的 |
[2:10:48] | Oh, I love you, Daddy. | 我爱你 爸爸 |
[2:10:58] | I will tell them this feather may look worthless… | 我会告诉她们这根羽毛看似一文不值 |
[2:11:03] | but it comes from afar… | 但却是远从千里而来 |
[2:11:06] | and carries with it all my good intentions. | 承载着我的一片心 |
[2:13:21] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[2:13:31] | I’m so sorry. | 真的很抱歉 |
[2:14:24] | It was enough… | 对她们和我来说 |
[2:14:26] | for them and for me. | 已经足够了 |
[2:14:30] | Because really she was there… | 因为她就在那 |
[2:14:33] | and I’d finally done something for her. | 我终于为她做了一件事 |
[2:14:37] | I’d found the best of myself… | 我找到了我最好的一面 |
[2:14:39] | what she kept for all of us: her long-cherished wish. | 她一直以来对我们的期望 |