时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:06] | In other news, the automatic recount | 其它消息 27区的州参议员选举 |
[00:08] | in the 27th State Senate District election | 自动重新计票 |
[00:10] | is in its third day | 已经进入第三天 |
[00:11] | and is set to release its final tally results this morning. | 并将于今早公布最终的汇总结果 |
[00:14] | The automatic recount was triggered | 自动重新计票被启动是 |
[00:16] | by a final vote count on Election Day | 由于选举日的最终计票显示 |
[00:18] | that had Senate Majority Leader Dede Standish | 参议员多数党领袖迪迪·斯丹迪施 |
[00:20] | leading upstart environmental candidate Payton Hobart | 比后起之秀环保运动候选人佩顿·霍巴特 |
[00:23] | by only 23 votes, | 仅仅领先23票 |
[00:25] | well within the margin | 完全在 |
[00:26] | that triggers a hand count under New York State law. | 纽约州法律规定的启动人工计票的差距范围内 |
[00:29] | Statements from both the Standish | 斯丹迪施和佩顿双方的 |
[00:31] | and Hobart campaigns | 竞选办公室的声明 |
[00:32] | insist that their candidates will emerge the victor. | 均坚称他们的候选人将最终胜出 |
[00:35] | We turn now to Kyle Bernier, | 现在我们切到凯尔·伯尼尔 |
[00:37] | who is out front of Standish headquarters, | 他就在斯丹迪施的总部门口 |
[00:39] | where Payton Hobart is expected to meet | 预计佩顿·霍巴特马上要在这里和 |
[00:41] | with Dede Standish | 迪迪·斯丹迪施以及 |
[00:42] | and election board officials any moment. | 选举委员会官员们会面 |
[00:46] | It’s a tie. | 是平手 |
[00:47] | – No fucking way! – You have got to be kidding! | -不可能 -你开玩笑呢吧 |
[00:50] | I am not kidding. | 不是开玩笑 |
[00:52] | The New York State Elections Board is not known | 纽约州选举委员会的各位 |
[00:53] | for its collective sense of humor. | 从不开玩笑的 |
[00:55] | We take our jobs very seriously. | 我们对待工作非常严肃 |
[00:57] | Very seriously. | 非常严肃 |
[00:58] | How is a tie even possible? | 怎么可能平手呢 |
[01:01] | Well, it happens when the same number of voters | 当投票给你们两人的选民数 |
[01:03] | cast a ballot for each of you. | 一样的时候就会出现啊 |
[01:04] | I know that! I am not a fucking imbecile. | 我当然知道 我又不是他妈的白痴 |
[01:06] | What she means is, she was up 23 votes. | 她的意思是 她领先了23票 |
[01:10] | Where did those votes go? | 那些票跑哪去了 |
[01:11] | Clearly, they never existed. | 很明显 它们根本不存在 |
[01:13] | That tally was preliminary | 那次汇总是初步的结果 |
[01:14] | and obviously an overcount in your favor. | 很明显给你多计了票数 |
[01:17] | It’s quite common for the initial count to not be… | 初次计票… |
[01:19] | totally accurate. | 不完全准确很正常 |
[01:20] | – So, count them again. – We did. | -那就再数一遍 -我们数了 |
[01:22] | Still tied: 45,626 votes apiece. | 还是平手 每人45626票 |
[01:26] | Well, count them by hand! | 人工计票 |
[01:28] | It was a hand recount. | 本来就是人工计票的 |
[01:29] | Two machine recounts and a hand recount, | 两次机器重新计票和一次人工重新计票 |
[01:31] | all with the same result. | 结果都一样 |
[01:33] | The board of elections | 选举委员会 |
[01:34] | has officially certified this is a tie. | 正式确认本次选举平手 |
[01:37] | That decision is final. | 这是最终的决定 |
[01:38] | You know what? You know who probably didn’t even vote? | 告诉你们 知道谁可能都没投票吗 |
[01:41] | James. I bet he stayed home out of spite. | 詹姆斯 我赌他为了泄愤都没出家门 |
[01:42] | Bet you a million bucks. | 我和你赌一百万美元 |
[01:43] | I busted my fucking ass, | 我吃奶的劲都使了出来 |
[01:45] | and I am tied with a fucking theater major? | 就和一个学演戏的打个平手 |
[01:48] | After six years of working together, | 我们一起工作了六年 |
[01:49] | he couldn’t have shown up on the one day? | 他这一天都不愿露面 |
[01:51] | Who the fuck with half a brain in their fucking head… | 到底是哪个弱智的… |
[01:54] | So… | 那么… |
[01:56] | …let’s talk next steps, hmm? | 我们聊聊下一步吧 |
[01:59] | Anna. | 安娜 |
[02:00] | Under New York State law, we have two options, | 根据纽约州法律 我们有两个选择 |
[02:03] | but both campaigns have to agree. | 但两边的竞选办公室都要同意 |
[02:05] | We redo the election in ten days… | 我们在十天后重新投票… |
[02:09] | or we flip a coin. | 或者我们抛硬币 |
[02:11] | We flip a coin? | 我们抛硬币 |
[02:12] | I am going to throw myself out that window. | 我要从窗户跳下去了 |
[02:15] | Strictly speaking, it does not have to be a coin flip. | 严格来说 不一定是要抛硬币 |
[02:18] | We pored through the historical records, | 我们翻阅了历史记录 |
[02:20] | and it’s actually kind of funny | 其实很搞笑 |
[02:21] | because you could decide it any way you want. | 因为你们可以用任何方式来决定输赢 |
[02:25] | In 2006, | 2006年 |
[02:26] | there was a Democratic primary | 第37届众议院的 |
[02:27] | for the 37th House of Representatives, | 民主党初选 |
[02:29] | and Bryce Edgmon won that | 布莱斯·艾德哥曼通过 |
[02:31] | with a coin flip. | 抛硬币赢得选举 |
[02:33] | – Heads. – Yes! | -正面 -太好了 |
[02:35] | Fuck! | 妈的 |
[02:36] | In 2017, | 2017年 |
[02:37] | there was a tie in a race for Virginia House of Delegates, | 弗吉尼亚州下议院选举出现平手 |
[02:40] | so they put both names into film canisters, | 他们把两位候选人的名字放到胶卷盒里 |
[02:42] | – and then they pulled it out of a bowl. – David Yancey. | -然后从玻璃碗里抽出赢的人 -大卫·燕西 |
[02:49] | And in Indiana in 1891, | 1891年在印第安纳州 |
[02:51] | a tie for county treasurer | 县财政位置的结果 |
[02:53] | was decided by a footrace. | 是通过跑步比赛来决定的 |
[02:55] | Thank Providence! | 感谢苍天 |
[02:58] | I’m going to, uh, give you a moment to discuss. | 我给你们一些时间来讨论一下 |
[03:03] | I want a revote. | 我要重新投票 |
[03:05] | I am not throwing away a 30-year political career | 我才不要把我三十年的政治生涯 |
[03:09] | for some frigging coin toss. | 因他妈的抛硬币给葬送了呢 |
[03:11] | Dede, you gotta stay calm. | 迪迪 你要冷静点 |
[03:13] | Let’s talk about the trend lines. | 我们看看趋势吧 |
[03:15] | A month ago, we were up 30 points, | 一个月前 我们领先30% |
[03:17] | then ten. | 然后是10% |
[03:18] | Now, we’re tied. | 现在呢 我们是平手 |
[03:20] | He’s trending up, we’re trending down. | 他在往上走 我们在往下走 |
[03:23] | In ten days, | 十天后 |
[03:26] | he’s gonna beat you. | 他会打败你 |
[03:29] | But flipping a coin… | 但抛硬币… |
[03:31] | Let’s do a revote, okay? We can win this thing. | 我们重新投票吧 我们能赢的 |
[03:33] | – Well, maybe. – Maybe? | -也许吧 -也许 |
[03:34] | Maybe we could win a revote, | 也许我们能赢得重新投票 |
[03:36] | but it’s probably less than a 50-50 chance. | 但胜选机会可能小于50% |
[03:38] | – What? – We got out every possible vote for you, | -什么 -我们已经把可能的票都搜刮出来了 |
[03:40] | we still couldn’t beat her. | 我们还是没能击败她 |
[03:41] | And we’d struggle to repeat that turnout. | 我们得费死劲才能重复之前的投票率 |
[03:43] | I mean, most of your voters are young. | 你的选民大多数是年轻人 |
[03:44] | Young people don’t like voting, | 年轻人不喜欢选举 |
[03:46] | and what they really don’t like | 而他们真正不喜欢的 |
[03:46] | is voting twice. | 就是投两次票 |
[03:48] | You really think we have better odds if we flip a coin? | 你真的觉得扔硬币我们赢的几率更大吗 |
[03:50] | Yeah, kinda. | 是啊 |
[03:51] | Maybe we could get them to use, like, a weighted coin. | 或许我们可以让他们用一个密度不均匀的硬币 |
[03:54] | One that always comes up heads. | 总是头朝上的硬币 |
[03:56] | No. I’m not cheating. | 不 我不能作弊 |
[03:58] | So, here’s what we would like to suggest. | 我们的提议是这样 |
[04:01] | Let’s honor this moment in political history | 让我们用一枚纪念币 |
[04:03] | with a commemorative coin. | 来纪念政治史上的这个时刻 |
[04:06] | One that my campaign | 我的竞选团队很高兴 |
[04:07] | is happy to be responsible for fabricating. | 负责制作这枚纪念币 |
[04:08] | We’ll put my face on one side, Dede’s on the other. | 一面印上我的脸 另一面印上迪迪的脸 |
[04:10] | We’ll use that coin, leave the rest to chance. | 我们用这枚硬币来决定 剩下的就交给命运 |
[04:13] | That’s bullshit. You think | 真是扯淡 你以为 |
[04:15] | we’re actually gonna let you make the coin | 我们会让你们来制作 |
[04:17] | that decides the election? | 决定选举的那枚硬币吗 |
[04:18] | God, that is just unbelievable! | 上帝 真是难以置信 |
[04:21] | Well, let’s just do a revote. We’d love to do a revote. | 那我们就重新投票吧 我们很乐意 |
[04:24] | – Okay, that’s fine. – Great. | -好的 没问题 -很好 |
[04:25] | – Fine. – Wait! That’s not an official answer. | -好啊 -等等 那不是正式答复 |
[04:28] | Hold it, I just have to text here. | 等等 让我发个短信 |
[04:30] | My grandson has croup. Oh, God. | 我外孙得了哮吼 天啊 |
[04:32] | “Plenty of fluids, | “很多液体 |
[04:34] | steam.” | 水汽 |
[04:35] | And… | 然后 |
[04:39] | send. | 发送 |
[04:40] | Oh, so sorry. He is the apple of my eye. | 真是对不起 他是我的掌上明珠 |
[04:43] | Okay, Okay. | 好吧 好吧 |
[04:46] | I propose… | 我提议 |
[04:48] | rock paper scissors. | 用石头剪刀布来决定 |
[04:52] | What? | 什么 |
[04:54] | – Really? – Really. | -真的吗 -真的 |
[04:56] | I mean, let’s be honest. | 我们现实一点 |
[04:58] | You’re not gonna win a footrace… | 赛跑你是赢不了的 |
[05:00] | …or flipping a cheater-Payton coin. | 用作弊佩顿的做硬币也赢不了 |
[05:02] | Let’s do the old roshambo! | 我们用传统的猜拳来决定吧 |
[05:05] | Best two out of three. | 三局两胜 |
[05:07] | – Right now? – No, no, no, no. Friday, at noon, | -现在吗 -不不不 星期五中午 |
[05:10] | so we have enough time | 这样我们有足够的时间 |
[05:11] | to invite the camera crews and the press. | 邀请摄影团队和媒体 |
[05:13] | Make it a big event. | 做成一个大活动 |
[05:15] | I mean, this is so ridiculous, | 这事太荒唐了 |
[05:16] | but let’s make it a thing. | 但我们可以用它搞个大新闻 |
[05:18] | Come on! It’ll be fun. | 来吧 会很有趣的 |
[05:20] | Yay, democracy, yay, yay, yay! | 民主万岁万岁万万岁 |
[05:27] | Okay. Deal. | 好 成交 |
[05:29] | Deal. | 成交 |
[07:02] | There’s an angle. | 一定有技巧 |
[07:04] | How do you know? | 你怎么知道 |
[07:05] | Because Hadassah would never suggest | 因为哈达莎绝对不会提出 |
[07:07] | something as out of the box as rock paper scissors | 石头剪刀布这种非传统的方式 |
[07:08] | unless she had an angle. She is a calculating… | 除非她知道某种技巧 她是个善于算计 |
[07:11] | merciless operator, and I know that | 无情的投机取巧之人 我知道 |
[07:13] | because I’m a calculating, merciless operator, | 因为我也是个善于算计无情的投机取巧之人 |
[07:15] | and I would never suggest | 我绝对不会提出 |
[07:16] | a game of chance to decide an entire election | 用依靠概率的游戏来决定整个选举 |
[07:18] | unless I knew I could game the system. | 除非我知道这我能操纵游戏机制 |
[07:20] | We should hire a private investigator | 我们应该找一个私家调查员 |
[07:21] | and a team of psychiatrists | 和一个精神分析团队 |
[07:22] | to do a psychological profile on Dede Standish | 给迪迪·斯丹迪施做心理侧写 |
[07:25] | to determine which option she’s most likely to play. | 来判断她最有可能做出的选择 |
[07:27] | She strikes me as a scissors kind of gal. | 她给我感觉像个喜欢剪刀的女性 |
[07:30] | We don’t have time for any of that, okay? | 我们没有时间做那些好吗 |
[07:32] | We can’t analyze the player, we need to analyze the game. | 我们不应该分析对手 而应该分析游戏本身 |
[07:35] | How do we do that? | 我们要怎么做 |
[07:37] | We need to talk to an expert. | 我们需要找一个专家 |
[07:58] | Okay. Uh, hi, Ricardo. | 好吧 里卡多你好 |
[08:00] | You’re– You’re looking really good. | 你看起来气色不错 |
[08:01] | It’s good to see you. | 见到你很高兴 |
[08:03] | Uh, did you lose weight? | 你是不是瘦了 |
[08:04] | We heard that you were doing theater in here. | 我们听说你在里面排音乐剧 |
[08:07] | That’s nice. | 真不错 |
[08:09] | Guys and Dolls. | 《红男绿女》 |
[08:11] | But we had to cancel the show | 但我们不得不取消演出 |
[08:12] | ’cause the guy playing Miss Adelaide | 因为那个演阿德莱德小姐的哥们 |
[08:15] | shanked the guy playing Nathan Detroit. | 捅了那个演南森·底特律的哥们 |
[08:17] | Probably not the first time something like that’s happened. | 这种事大概也不是第一次发生了 |
[08:19] | How’s Infinity? | 英菲尼蒂怎么样了 |
[08:21] | She told me she was gonna come visit, but… | 她说过要来看我 但是 |
[08:23] | she must be real busy. | 她肯定很忙 |
[08:24] | She’s– She’s great. | 她很好 |
[08:26] | She, um– She wrote a book. | 她写了一本书 |
[08:29] | We’d be happy to get you a copy. | 我们可以给你带一本 |
[08:31] | On tape, if you prefer. | 或录音 如果你更喜欢听书的话 |
[08:33] | Now she’s busy, uh, saving the planet. | 她现在正忙着拯救地球呢 |
[08:35] | Enough of the chitchat. | 闲聊就到这里吧 |
[08:36] | We need your help. | 我们需要你的帮助 |
[08:37] | Teach us how to win at rock paper scissors. | 教我们怎么才能赢石头剪刀布 |
[08:43] | Roshambo. | 猜拳 |
[08:44] | You came to the right place. | 你们来对地方了 |
[08:45] | On the inside, roshambo is life. | 在监狱里 猜拳决定生死 |
[08:48] | Everything’s decided through roshambo: | 所有事都是通过猜拳来决定的 |
[08:50] | property disputes, | 财产争端 |
[08:52] | settling beefs. | 评判宿仇 |
[08:55] | Winner! | 这方胜 |
[08:56] | There’s even underground games that the guards organize | 甚至还有由狱警组织 以赌博为目的的 |
[08:58] | for gambling purposes. | 地下猜拳活动 |
[09:04] | You wanna know something? | 你们知道吗 |
[09:07] | I like being in prison. | 我喜欢呆在监狱里 |
[09:09] | Out in the world, I’m nobody. | 在外面我什么也不是 |
[09:11] | Just some punk | 只是个流氓 |
[09:13] | with no job and a cool mustache. | 没有工作 不过留着漂亮的小胡子 |
[09:16] | But in here, | 但在这里 |
[09:18] | I’m like a duke | 我就像一个公爵 |
[09:19] | or a lord | 或贵族 |
[09:21] | or something. | 或别的什么 |
[09:22] | You know why? | 你们知道为什么吗 |
[09:23] | Because I figured out the secret | 因为我研究出了 |
[09:25] | to always win at roshambo. | 猜拳战无不胜的秘诀 |
[09:27] | There is no strategy | 石头剪刀布 |
[09:28] | to rock paper scissors. | 没有什么策略 |
[09:30] | – It’s a game of chance. – Tell that to the researchers | -纯粹是靠运气 -这话你跟 |
[09:33] | of the China State Key Laboratory | 中国理论物理国家重点实验室的 |
[09:35] | for Theoretical Physics. | 研究人员说去 |
[09:37] | They wrote a paper on how humans make decisions | 他们写了一篇关于人类在非竞争性 |
[09:39] | in non-competitive, | 非合作性的战略行为中 |
[09:41] | – noncooperative, strategic actions. – English, Hadassah. | -如何决策的论文 -说人话 哈达莎 |
[09:44] | They had a few hundred students | 他们找了几百个学生 |
[09:46] | play 60 games of rock paper scissors each | 让他们每人玩了60次剪刀石头布 |
[09:48] | to see if any patterns emerged. | 来观察是否有规律可循 |
[09:49] | And, guess what? | 你猜怎么着 |
[09:51] | They did. | 还真有 |
[09:52] | I cracked the code. | 我解出了密码 |
[09:53] | When I first got here, | 我刚来的时候 |
[09:55] | I played it real cool and quiet. | 故作冷漠沉默 |
[09:56] | Roshambo! | 石头剪刀布 |
[09:58] | Hands in pockets, no eye contact, | 双手插袋 避免眼神接触 |
[10:00] | never say yes to a favor. | 从不接受别人的好处 |
[10:02] | But what I did do is watch. | 但我会观察 |
[10:05] | And that’s when I started noticing patterns. | 从那时起 我发现了规律 |
[10:09] | Men almost always start with a rock. | 男人总是会先出石头 |
[10:11] | Of course they do. | 这是显而易见的 |
[10:13] | It’s their solution to everything: | 这是他们对所有事情的解决方法 |
[10:15] | just bash it into submission. | 用暴力使对方屈服 |
[10:17] | But assuming Payton starts | 但假设佩顿 |
[10:20] | with rock, | 先出石头 |
[10:21] | that means we win round one, | 那么我们在第一轮会赢 |
[10:24] | but this is best two out of three. | 但规则是三局两胜 |
[10:27] | Well, here’s where it gets juicy. | 有趣的地方就在这 |
[10:29] | Research found… | 研究表明 |
[10:30] | that if a player wins a round… | 如果玩家赢了一轮 |
[10:33] | …they’re more likely to play the same play the next round. | 他们更有可能在下一轮中作出同样的选择 |
[10:36] | So, if you win with paper, | 所以 如果你出布赢了 |
[10:38] | you’re feeling good about yourself, | 你会自我感觉良好 |
[10:40] | and you wanna keep feeling good, | 而且你想保持这种很好的感觉 |
[10:41] | so you unconsciously choose paper again. | 所以你会下意识地继续出布 |
[10:46] | Okay, so what happens to the loser’s play after they lose? | 好吧 那如果第一轮的败方怎么样 |
[10:48] | If they lose two in a row, | 如果他们接连输了两局 |
[10:49] | they get fixated on what’s beating them, | 他们会对打败自己的东西耿耿于怀 |
[10:51] | so they switch to the thing that will beat what just beat them. | 所以他们会换成能打败那个打败了他们的选项 |
[10:55] | What? | 什么玩意 |
[10:56] | Dede, this is so simple. | 迪迪 道理很简单 |
[10:58] | If you lose the first round, | 如果你第一局输了 |
[11:00] | you switch to the thing | 你就换成那个 |
[11:02] | that will beat what just beat you. | 能打败刚打败了你的选项 |
[11:05] | If you win, you should switch to the thing | 如果你赢了 你应该换成 |
[11:07] | that would win against the thing | 能够赢得那个 |
[11:08] | that you played the first time. | 你最初出的选项 |
[11:10] | I’m sorry, can you say that last part again, more slowly? | 不好意思 最后那部分能慢点再说一遍吗 |
[11:18] | If you win with rock, | 如果你出石头赢了 |
[11:22] | play scissors. | 下一轮就出剪刀 |
[11:25] | If you lose with scissors, | 如果你出剪刀输了 |
[11:28] | play paper. | 下一轮就出布 |
[11:32] | Jesus! | 上帝啊 |
[11:33] | You guys wouldn’t last five minutes in prison! | 你们在监狱里肯定活不过五分钟 |
[11:39] | This is brilliant, but there’s only one thing | 太聪明了 但有一件事情 |
[11:41] | that could throw a wrench into this master plan. | 可能毁掉这个绝妙的计划 |
[11:44] | What if Payton knows about this study as well? | 如果佩顿也知道这个研究怎么办 |
[11:49] | – What is he doing here? – I called him. | -他在这干什么 -我叫他来的 |
[11:52] | This is a campaign emergency, | 这是个竞选紧急情况 |
[11:53] | and I wanted everyone involved with the campaign | 我想要所有参与竞选过程的人 |
[11:55] | to be here to figure out what to do. | 聚在一起商量对策 |
[11:56] | Well, I fired him. For a cause. | 我把他炒了 而且事出有因 |
[11:58] | Sorry I went behind your back and talked to the New York Times. | 对不起 我背着你找《纽约时报》爆料了 |
[12:01] | I made an executive decision, | 我做了一个行政决定 |
[12:02] | which, considering the way the race tightened on Election Day, | 而鉴于选举日激烈的竞争局面 |
[12:04] | was probably really wise and productive. | 我的决定可能是明智而有效的 |
[12:06] | Yes, one that you only made | 没错 你做那个决定 |
[12:07] | because I called you out for not being aggressive enough. | 只是因为我说你不够狠 |
[12:10] | I don’t know if I wanna work with someone who can be baited into | 我不知道自己是否能和一个如此轻易 |
[12:12] | an emotional action that easily. | 就被情绪影响的人一起共事 |
[12:13] | Yes, because we are all | 没错 因为我们 |
[12:14] | just usually so emotionally stable. | 通常情绪都很稳定 |
[12:17] | Enough. Skye, you said it was an emergency. | 够了 斯凯 你说有紧急情况 |
[12:20] | If you think it’s serious enough to warrant James being here, | 如果你认为这个紧急情况需要詹姆斯到场 |
[12:23] | then James should be here. | 那詹姆斯就应该到场 |
[12:24] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[12:25] | An hour ago, I got a visit from Infinity Jackson. | 一个小时前 英菲尼蒂·杰克逊来找我了 |
[12:29] | She gave me this. | 她给了我这个 |
[12:38] | Is that an official ballot box? | 这是官方投票箱吗 |
[12:46] | It’s still locked. | 它还是锁着的 |
[12:48] | Oh, my God. This is a stolen ballot box. | 天啊 有人偷了这个投票箱 |
[12:50] | Being in possession of this is a federal crime, okay? | 拥有投票箱触犯了联邦法律 |
[12:52] | We have to get out of here | 我们必须离开这里 |
[12:53] | so we can maintain plausible deniability. | 这样才能进行合理推诿 |
[12:55] | Wait, wait. How did Infinity get this? | 等等 英菲尼蒂怎么会有这个 |
[12:58] | I stole it. | 我偷来的 |
[13:00] | Well, we stole it. | 我们偷来的 |
[13:02] | We being my secret climate action group | 我们是指我的秘密气候行动小组 |
[13:04] | called the Climate Underground. | 名字叫地下气候行动 |
[13:06] | Honestly I wanted to call it the Weather Underground, | 说实话 我本来想叫地下天气行动的 |
[13:08] | but apparently, the name was taken | 但这个名字被一帮 |
[13:09] | by some jerks who don’t even care about climate change. | 根本就不在乎气候变化的混蛋给占用了 |
[13:12] | Anyway, I came up with the ballot-stealing idea all on my own. | 总之 我自己一人想出了这个偷投票箱的点子 |
[13:14] | I called it “Operation Steal our Planet | 我管它叫”从毁了地球的 |
[13:17] | from the Boomers Who are Trying to Kill It.” | 婴儿潮一代手中偷回地球”行动 |
[13:19] | Aren’t code names supposed to be, like, shorter than that? | 秘密行动的代号不应该短些吗 |
[13:22] | – Yeah, like, an acronym or something? – Or be clever? | -比如用缩写什么的 -或脑子清醒些 |
[13:24] | Okay, Can we please just get back to hearing about | 拜托 能先回到这个有可能让我们 |
[13:26] | the crime that could put us in jail for a decade? | 吃上十年牢饭的犯罪行为的话题上来吗 |
[13:27] | Payton, | 佩顿 |
[13:29] | Dede Standish cannot win this election. | 迪迪·斯丹迪施不能在这场选举中胜出 |
[13:33] | We are in a climate emergency, | 我们正处于气候危机状态中 |
[13:36] | and you are the only candidate that can stop it, so… | 而你是唯一能阻止事态继续严重下去的候选人 |
[13:39] | I thought to myself, “Infinity, | 所以我心想 “英菲尼蒂 |
[13:42] | how can you stop her from winning this election? | 你怎么才能阻止她在这场选举中胜出呢 |
[13:46] | I mean, you could assassinate her, | 我是说 你可以暗杀她 |
[13:48] | but that feels extreme even under these circumstances.” | 但即使是现在这个情况 这做法也太极端了” |
[13:50] | Yeah, I agree with that. | 是的 我同意 |
[13:52] | Assassination is never the answer. | 暗杀从来就不是解决问题的办法 |
[13:57] | Then I realized, | 然后我意识到 |
[13:58] | this is a local election. | 这是个地方选举 |
[14:01] | It’ll be decided by just a handful of votes. | 只需几票的差距就能决定胜负 |
[14:02] | What if we made sure | 如果我们能确保 |
[14:04] | that a bunch of Standish votes were never counted? | 迪迪·斯丹迪施的部分选票不被记入统计呢 |
[14:07] | It could throw the election…to you. | 这样你就能赢得选举了 |
[14:10] | How do you know that is full of Standish votes? | 你怎么知道这里面都是斯丹迪施的选票 |
[14:13] | I found the polling place | 我找到了老年选民 |
[14:14] | with the highest percentage of old voters. | 占人数比例最高的投票站 |
[14:15] | I know that place. | 我知道那个地方 |
[14:16] | We canvassed it. And when we asked the residents | 我们去调查过 而当我们问及当地居民 |
[14:18] | what they thought of the environment, | 他们对环境问题的看法时 |
[14:19] | their response was, | 他们的回答是 |
[14:20] | because their grandchildren never visit, | 因为孙辈们从不来拜访 |
[14:22] | they hope to leave behind a true hellhole | 他们希望留下一个地狱般的地方 |
[14:23] | for them to live in. | 给他们生存 |
[14:25] | I read this study by these Canadian scientists | 我读过几个加拿大科学家的研究报告 |
[14:28] | that said old people are more easily distracted | 他们说老年人更容易被分散注意力 |
[14:31] | because a part of their brain | 因为他们大脑中 |
[14:32] | called the locus coeruleus is deteriorated, | 叫做蓝斑核的部位退化了 |
[14:34] | so I knew it wouldn’t take much to draw their attention. | 所以我知道想吸引他们的注意并不是难事 |
[14:43] | Also, if there’s one thing | 另外 如果说还有一件事 |
[14:45] | that old people cannot resist, | 是老年人无法抗拒的 |
[14:49] | it’s mimes. | 那就是哑剧 |
[15:02] | There are probably 300 ballots in this box. | 这箱子里大概有300张选票 |
[15:04] | That’s more than enough to give the election to Dede. | 这足以让迪迪赢得选举了 |
[15:06] | This is bad. | 这事糟糕了 |
[15:08] | Oh, God, this is really bad. | 天啊 真的太糟糕了 |
[15:09] | This is worse than that time you didn’t have cancer, | 这比我没告诉任何人 |
[15:11] | – and I didn’t tell anyone about it. – That bad? | -你没得癌症那次还要糟糕 -这么严重吗 |
[15:12] | Really, it’s that bad, Infinity. | 是的 非常严重 英菲尼蒂 |
[15:14] | We are all going to jail. | 我们都会坐牢的 |
[15:15] | I’m not. | 我不会 |
[15:16] | I’d turn on all of you in a heartbeat. | 我回头就把你们都举报了 |
[15:19] | You saw that election board. Okay? | 你见过选举委员会了 |
[15:20] | They told us themselves, | 他们告诉过我们 |
[15:21] | they don’t have a sense of humor, right? | 他们没有幽默感 对吧 |
[15:22] | And I definitely don’t think they’re gonna find | 我绝不认为他们会觉得 |
[15:23] | stealing one of their ballot boxes funny. | 偷投票箱有什么好笑的 |
[15:25] | In fact, I think they’d probably | 事实上 我想他们应该会觉得 |
[15:25] | find it definitively unfunny. | 这一点都不好笑 |
[15:28] | Payton, we are at war. | 佩顿 我们要开战了 |
[15:29] | The biggest, most important war of all time. | 有史以来最大最重要的一战 |
[15:31] | Every single day counts. | 每一天都很重要 |
[15:32] | Two years with you with the power to do something | 以你的能力 可以在两年内 |
[15:34] | could be the difference between life and death. | 做出一些生死攸关的改变 |
[15:36] | Our planet is being murdered | 我们的星球正在被 |
[15:38] | by people like Dede Standish. | 像迪迪·斯丹迪施这样的人摧毁 |
[15:39] | Okay? This is… not a crime. | 明白吗 这不是犯罪 |
[15:44] | It’s self-defense. | 而是自卫 |
[15:49] | Okay, so? What are we gonna do? | 好吧 那我们该怎么办 |
[15:51] | Like it or not, we’re in it now. | 不管喜欢与否 我们已经身在其中了 |
[15:53] | We could crack it open and count the votes, | 我们可以把它撬开统计票数 |
[15:55] | and if it helps us, we turn it in anonymously, | 如果对我们有帮助 我们就匿名上交 |
[15:57] | and if not, we burn them. | 如果没有 我们就烧了它们 |
[15:58] | Okay. Now that we’ve considered | 好吧 既然我们已经考虑过 |
[16:00] | the most dishonest version of what we should do, | 最不诚实的做法了 |
[16:02] | what are some other options? | 还有什么其他选项吗 |
[16:03] | We could just… | 我们可以 |
[16:04] | leave it on the doorstep of a police station, | 把它留在警察局门口 |
[16:06] | like an unwanted baby. | 就像被抛弃的婴儿那样 |
[16:08] | And risk them using DNA and | 冒着被他们利用DNA |
[16:09] | fingerprints to find out who did it? | 和指纹查出幕后主谋的风险吗 |
[16:10] | Or we could do a full Frank Capra integrity play | 或者我们可以演一出弗兰克·卡普拉的正直大戏 |
[16:10] | 好莱坞导演 作品乐观积极 坚守理想和道德准则 | |
[16:12] | and hold a press conference and just tell the truth. | 召开新闻发布会 说出真相 |
[16:14] | Yeah, and then I go to jail, so… | 那我就得去坐牢了 所以… |
[16:17] | Oh, God, I need time to think. | 天啊 我需要时间思考 |
[16:19] | There is no time. We’re in possession of stolen ballots. | 没时间了 我们拿着被偷的选票 |
[16:21] | Don’t you think I know that? | 你以为我不知道吗 |
[16:21] | Do I look like an idiot to you Alice? | 你觉得我看着像白痴吗 艾丽斯 |
[16:23] | I’ll look after it. | 我来看管它 |
[16:24] | I’d like to regain your trust, | 我想赢回你的信任 |
[16:27] | If you’ll let me. | 如果你给我这个机会 |
[16:31] | I don’t wanna know where you’re keeping them. | 我不想知道你会把它放去哪里 |
[16:34] | Nobody talks to each other | 在我们解决这个问题之前 |
[16:35] | or about this until we can fix it. | 不许互相交流 也不许提这事 |
[16:41] | Astrid, I never… | 阿斯特丽德 我从没 |
[16:43] | I never thanked you for not causing any trouble | 我从没感谢过你 没在选举前 |
[16:45] | for Payton before the election. | 给佩顿惹任何麻烦 |
[16:47] | It’s probably just pregnancy hormones. | 可能只是孕期荷尔蒙的作用 |
[16:49] | That’s not true. | 不是这样的 |
[16:50] | Our reaction to your baby news was cruel. | 我们对你怀孕这事的反应很残酷 |
[16:55] | – I’m sorry. – That’s fine. | -我很抱歉 -没关系 |
[16:58] | It happens to me all the time. | 我也总这样 |
[16:59] | It’s not because I’m pregnant. | 不是因为怀孕 |
[17:01] | Well, it is, but… | 其实也是 但是 |
[17:04] | …it’s because… | 是因为 |
[17:07] | I don’t like the parents that this baby is gonna have. | 我不喜欢这孩子父母的样子 |
[17:10] | No, you and Payton will be great parents. | 不 你和佩顿会成为很好的父母 |
[17:14] | Pretty good ones, at least. | 至少是不错的父母 |
[17:17] | You’ll definitely be better than mine. | 你肯定比我强 |
[17:19] | I don’t like who we’ve become. | 我不喜欢我们现在的样子 |
[17:22] | What politics has turned us into. | 政治对我们的改变 |
[17:25] | Payton is exactly the same as he’s always been. | 佩顿跟从前一模一样 |
[17:28] | What it’s turned me into. | 对我的改变 |
[17:31] | I’m selfish, | 我自私 |
[17:34] | I’m unkind, | 不友善 |
[17:36] | I’m willing to cheat, | 如果有必要的话 |
[17:39] | to… wreck lives, if necessary. | 我愿意以欺骗 毁掉他人的人生 |
[17:42] | How do you know that’s not just who you are? | 你怎么知道这不是你本来的样子呢 |
[17:45] | Politics hasn’t changed you. | 政治并没有改变你 |
[17:48] | It just so happens to be the perfect job | 这恰好是符合你独特的 |
[17:50] | for your particular moral and ethical skill set. | 道德伦理观的完美工作 |
[17:54] | I got into Harvard. | 我进了哈佛 |
[17:57] | Payton didn’t. | 佩顿没有 |
[18:00] | I was the one who told him to run on the climate. | 是我告诉他要以气候为议题的 |
[18:02] | I was the one encouraging him to play fair. | 是我鼓励他公平竞争 |
[18:06] | I’ve deferred my entire life to him. | 我把自己的一生都托付给了他 |
[18:11] | Taken on his worst qualities to serve… | 接纳他的缺点 帮助他 |
[18:15] | his dreams… | 实现梦想 |
[18:18] | and ego. | 和自我价值 |
[18:27] | I can’t argue with you there. | 这点我不可置否 |
[18:28] | You’ve been his bitch since I met you. | 我认识你以来 你一直是他的附属品 |
[18:31] | Thank you for always speaking straight to me. | 谢谢你一直对我直言不讳 |
[18:33] | My father always said my coldness was my greatest asset. | 我父亲总说 我的冷漠是我最大的优点 |
[18:40] | Screw Payton. | 别管佩顿 |
[18:42] | Screw everyone. | 别管任何人 |
[18:44] | We should just get out of this town and never look back. | 我们就该离开这里 永不回头 |
[18:51] | Running away isn’t gonna help anything. | 逃跑解决不了任何事 |
[18:54] | Running away was the best thing I did with my life. | 逃跑是我这辈子做过最好的事 |
[18:56] | When I got far enough, | 当我走得够远后 |
[18:57] | I realized I wasn’t running from anything important, | 我意识到我不是在逃避什么重要的事情 |
[19:00] | I was running to the life I actually wanted. | 而是在奔向我真正想要的生活 |
[19:10] | Is the fetus going with him? | 孩子会判给他吗 |
[19:13] | I don’t think so. | 我觉得不会 |
[19:16] | You know… | 你知道吗 |
[19:18] | uh, this may sound strange, Hadassah, | 也许这听起来有点奇怪 哈达莎 |
[19:20] | but even though Marcus lied to me, | 但即使马科斯骗了我 |
[19:22] | I still feel terrible for him. | 我还是很同情他 |
[19:24] | He’s losing his wife, his home, | 就这么短短几天 他失去了妻子 |
[19:27] | and his young, gay lover, all in the span of a few days. | 他的家 还失去了他年轻的同性伴侣 |
[19:31] | He’ll probably lose his job, too. | 他可能连工作也快没了 |
[19:34] | Writing those papers for those students. | 给学生代写论文 |
[19:37] | Please. He has tenure. | 得了吧 他有终生职位 |
[19:39] | He could be murdering cats on the Internet | 就算他在网上虐猫 |
[19:41] | and he’d still keep his teaching job. | 他还是能保住教书的饭碗 |
[19:43] | – Oh, God. – Look, it’s the right thing, Dede. | -老天 -我们做了该做的事 迪迪 |
[19:45] | Politically, Marcus was gonna drag you down | 从政治生涯来说 马科斯会把你拖下水 |
[19:48] | like a tweed-blazered anchor. | 他就像一个烧红的锚 |
[19:50] | But, personally, | 但从个人层面来说 |
[19:51] | he’s a liar! | 他是个骗子 |
[19:54] | And he clearly leans very heavily | 显然 他非常倾向于 |
[19:57] | 金赛量表 用0(完全异性恋)-6(完全同性恋)代表人的性取向定位 | |
[19:57] | towards the gay end of the Kinsey spectrum. | 金赛量表的完全同性恋那端 |
[20:00] | Clearly. | 很明显 |
[20:04] | I am… | 我 |
[20:07] | so tired, Hadassah, of the game. | 太厌倦这场游戏了 哈达莎 |
[20:12] | You can’t be tired of the game. | 你不可能厌倦这场游戏 |
[20:15] | That’s like saying you’re tired of breathing. | 这就像是说你已经厌倦了呼吸 |
[20:17] | Or you’re tired of the chicken parm at Elio’s. | 或你厌倦了埃利奥家的鸡肉奶酪意面 |
[20:21] | You are the game. You’ve been defined by the game | 你是局内人 你的人生已经围着这场游戏 |
[20:23] | for four decades. | 转了整整四十年 |
[20:25] | – What are you gonna do? Take up golf? – No. | -不然你还想做什么 打高尔夫吗 -不 |
[20:28] | Or play Rummikub at– at the nursing home? | 还是在养老院里玩拉密牌 |
[20:31] | You gonna join the board of a bullshit start-up? | 你要加入野鸡创业公司的董事会 |
[20:34] | Oh, God, just saying those words gives me the creeps. | 老天 光说这些词都让我毛骨悚然 |
[20:36] | Oh, so does staying the course. | 继续竞选也同样难以忍受 |
[20:39] | You know I love governing. | 你知道我喜欢执政 |
[20:40] | It’s the campaigning part of the job that I never liked. | 我不喜欢的是这工作的竞选环节 |
[20:44] | And one of the only things that kept me going | 唯一能让我坚持下去的理由就是 |
[20:46] | was that I didn’t have to worry about running again. God. | 我不需要担心重新选举的事 老天 |
[20:55] | Oh, my God. | 我的老天 |
[21:01] | It’s a new world, Hadassah. | 这是个新世界了 哈达莎 |
[21:04] | 出身草根的29岁拉美裔民主党人亚历山大·奥卡西奥-科特兹(AOC) 成功逆袭在国会任职多年的元老级人物约瑟夫·克劳利 成为美国史上最年轻的国会女议员 | |
[21:04] | Since AOC, | 亚历山大当选国会议员以来 |
[21:06] | no incumbent is safe. | 在任者人人自危 |
[21:11] | We may win this, | 我们也许能赢这场选举 |
[21:14] | but we’ve shown weakness. | 但我们也暴露了弱点 |
[21:17] | No one is ever going to let us run unopposed again. | 人们不会再让我们没有竞争对手地继任下去 |
[21:22] | You were excited. | 之前你还为此感到兴奋 |
[21:23] | You were excited about running for vice president. | 你对竞选副总统很兴奋 |
[21:25] | Yes, of course I was! | 没错 我当然 |
[21:26] | But you and I know what makes that different. | 但我们都心知肚明副总统与参议员的区别 |
[21:29] | We would be busting our asses, | 我们会整天忙着 |
[21:31] | flying around the globe on Air Force Two. | 坐空军二号满世界飞 |
[21:34] | We would be negotiating giant deals with major leaders. | 我们会和重要领导人商谈巨额交易 |
[21:38] | I would be the first woman… | 我会成为第一个 |
[21:42] | to be this close to the presidency. | 离总统宝座只有一步之遥的女人 |
[21:46] | I just– It’s a little different | 我只是 这和我们 |
[21:49] | than busting our asses up in Albany | 在奥尔巴尼市累死累活 |
[21:52] | to try to pass some fucking bill | 试图通过一些愚蠢的法案 |
[21:55] | to get some light bulbs | 在一些该死的路灯上 |
[21:56] | – in some fucking street lamps. – No. | -装上灯泡有所不同 -不 |
[21:58] | You’re not giving up yet. You’ll miss it too much. | 你还不能放弃 你会很想念这一切 |
[22:01] | The– The– The fame, the respect, the driver. | 名声 尊严 司机 |
[22:04] | The luggage tags that say “Senate Leader Standish” on them? | 写着”参议院领袖斯丹迪施”的行李牌 |
[22:08] | And, woman to woman, I won’t let you. | 而且 同样作为女人 我不允许你放弃 |
[22:11] | Look at those old farts in Congress. | 看看国会里的那些老男人 |
[22:13] | Nothing but big, swollen prostates | 一眼看去全是肥大的前列腺 |
[22:15] | and Brooks Brothers suits. | 和布克兄弟的西装 |
[22:16] | You don’t see them walking away because they’re tired. | 你不会看到他们因为疲倦而卸任 |
[22:19] | No! They hang on to power, | 不会 他们会牢牢把控着权力 |
[22:21] | even if it means wetting themselves | 即使这意味着他们要为了 |
[22:24] | at the State of the Union. | 国情咨文忙得满头大汗 |
[22:28] | – Take a lesson. – You… | -好好学着 -你 |
[22:31] | Hadassah… | 哈达莎 |
[22:34] | this is gonna be good for you. | 这样对你也有好处 |
[22:36] | Yeah. | 真的 |
[22:38] | Just think… | 设想一下 |
[22:40] | how a new candidate could recharge you. | 新的候选人能为你注入新活力 |
[22:43] | You– you’ve been with me for so long. | 你跟着我太久了 |
[22:49] | A fresh start will be good for you. | 重新开始对你有好处 |
[22:51] | But I don’t wanna work for anybody but you. | 但我只想为你工作 |
[22:54] | I wanna keep going until we go over the cliff. | 我想继续向前 撞了南墙也不回头 |
[22:58] | Like Thelma and Louise. | 就像《末路狂花》一样 |
[23:03] | I wanna win this, | 我想赢 |
[23:05] | you know I do, | 你知道的 |
[23:07] | but no matter what, | 但无论如何 |
[23:10] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[23:13] | It’s the last race I’m gonna run. | 这是我的最后一次竞选了 |
[23:30] | Made any progress? | 有什么进展吗 |
[23:31] | I’m just playing out every possible scenario in my mind. | 我在脑子里把所有可能的情况都过了一遍 |
[23:35] | Like a Choose Your Own Adventure book, | 就像《选择你的冒险历程》书里那样 |
[23:36] | but every ending sucks. | 但每个结局都不理想 |
[23:38] | To be, or not to be. | 生存还是毁灭 |
[23:40] | Exactly. | 没错 |
[23:41] | Oh, and the worst part of this is, | 这里面最糟糕的是 |
[23:43] | we didn’t even make this mess. | 这祸都不是我们惹下的 |
[23:46] | It was thrust upon us. | 是被扔到我们头上的 |
[23:48] | Maybe. | 也许 |
[23:49] | Nobody asked Infinity to steal that ballot box. | 谁也没让英菲尼蒂去偷那个投票箱 |
[23:52] | But… | 但… |
[23:54] | maybe we created an environment of moral ambiguity | 也许我们制造了一个道德含糊不清的环境 |
[23:57] | that made her think that doing that for us was okay. | 使她觉得为我们偷盗也没问题 |
[23:59] | Alice, this is hard enough without you blaming us for it. | 艾丽斯 这事够糟心了 你别再怪我们了 |
[24:05] | I’m leaving… | 我要离开… |
[24:07] | Manhattan, this campaign… | 曼哈顿 这场竞选… |
[24:10] | you. | 你 |
[24:12] | I think that maybe… | 我认为也许… |
[24:15] | we are bad people. | 我们是坏人 |
[24:17] | No, that’s not right. | 不 这么说不对 |
[24:18] | I think that I’ve… | 我认为我已经… |
[24:21] | become a bad person. | 变成了一个坏人 |
[24:23] | Because you’re with me? | 因为你和我在一起 |
[24:25] | Yes. | 对 |
[24:27] | I don’t think that you’re a bad person. | 我不觉得你是个坏人 |
[24:31] | I think that you’re indifferent | 我觉得你对道德和操守 |
[24:34] | to morality and ethics. | 没有原则 |
[24:36] | I think that you struggle with | 我觉得你纠结于 |
[24:37] | these kinds of ethical conundrums | 道德方面的问题 |
[24:38] | because you think that you’re supposed to, | 因为你认为自己该去纠结 |
[24:40] | but you only choose the side of light when it means | 但只有在你仍能得偿所愿时 |
[24:43] | that you’ll still probably get what you want. | 才会选择光明的那一方 |
[24:45] | That’s not true. | 这不是真的 |
[24:46] | Do you want examples? | 你想要我举例吗 |
[24:49] | When we go to the movies, | 我们去看电影时 |
[24:50] | you put your jacket on the chair next to you | 你把外套放在旁边的椅子上 |
[24:52] | to make sure no one else takes it. | 确保别人不会坐 |
[24:54] | Uh, excuse me. Is someone sitting there? | 对不起 这里有人坐吗 |
[24:56] | Oh, yeah, I think so. | 我想是的 |
[24:57] | He just dropped his coat and ran out. | 他把外套放下就跑开了 |
[24:58] | I think he’s at concession stand. | 我想他去买零食了 |
[25:06] | Seriously? | 这也算 |
[25:07] | That’s the evidence that I’m morally bankrupt? | 那就是我道德败坏的证据 |
[25:09] | The fact that I don’t want to share an armrest? | 我不想跟别人共用座椅扶手吗 |
[25:11] | It’s the principle. | 这事关原则 |
[25:12] | We are members of a community in a theater. | 在电影院里我们是一个团体的成员 |
[25:15] | You are putting your comfort | 你把你的舒适 |
[25:16] | over the comfort of every other member. | 凌驾于所有其他成员之上 |
[25:19] | You also lie. | 你还说谎 |
[25:21] | A lot. | 非常频繁 |
[25:22] | You’re always telling people | 你总是和别人说 |
[25:22] | you can be somewhere, even if you can’t. | 你可以去什么地方 即便你去不了 |
[25:25] | And then you lie about why you can’t make it. | 然后你扯个谎解释你为什么去不了了 |
[25:27] | Yes. Yes, no, Rabbi, | 是 是 不 拉比 |
[25:28] | I know I promised to attend Sukkoth services | 我知道我答应去参加住棚节仪式 |
[25:31] | in exchange for your endorsement. Here’s the thing. | 来换取您对我的背书 问题是这样 |
[25:32] | Some shiksa waitress served me | 有个非犹太的臭娘们服务员 |
[25:34] | real bread instead of gluten-free bread | 今天早餐时给我上了全麦的面包 |
[25:35] | at breakfast today, | 而不是无麸质的 |
[25:36] | and I’m in the worst gastrointestinal distress, | 我现在肠胃难受得要命 |
[25:38] | and… yeah. Uh-huh. Yes, exactly. | 嗯 嗯 对 没错 |
[25:40] | Serves me right for being born Ashkenazi. | 谁让我是德裔犹太人呢 |
[25:43] | Okeydokey, thank you for understanding. | 那好吧 感谢您的理解 |
[25:47] | That’s not lying, that’s politics. | 那不叫说谎 那是政治 |
[25:50] | You promise everything, | 你得答应一切 |
[25:51] | and then you embellish when you can’t follow through. | 当你兑现不了时就搪塞过去 |
[25:53] | For God’s sakes, Alice, | 我的天 艾丽斯 |
[25:54] | people expect me to lie to them about that stuff. | 大家认为我就该在这类事上对他们撒谎 |
[25:56] | How about the fact that this office has been stealing Wi-Fi | 那么我们办公室从我们搬进来就一直 |
[25:59] | from the Indian restaurant downstairs since we moved in? | 从楼下的印度餐馆偷人家的无线信号这事呢 |
[26:01] | We’re running on a shoestring budget here. Okay? | 我们的预算非常紧 好吗 |
[26:03] | If we win, I’ll report the | 如果我们赢了 我会向 |
[26:04] | Wi-Fi to the FEC as an in-kind contribution. | 联邦选举委员会声明无线信号是实物捐赠 |
[26:07] | There’s always a rationalization for everything. | 所有的事都有合理解释来开脱 |
[26:12] | Don’t you see that that’s why Infinity thought | 难道你不明白这就是英菲尼蒂认为 |
[26:15] | it was okay to steal the election for you? | 为你偷投票箱没关系的原因吗 |
[26:18] | That she was just following your lead | 她不过是学你的样子 |
[26:19] | and rationalizing away any guilt? | 为任何内疚开脱而已吗 |
[26:21] | Just like you did | 正如高中时 |
[26:22] | when you put her life in danger in high school. | 你把她的生命置于危险之中那样 |
[26:26] | Just like you did | 正如你 |
[26:28] | when you didn’t turn around to look at me | 当我们在走廊上擦身而过时 |
[26:30] | when we passed each other in the hall. | 你不转过头来看我那样 |
[26:32] | Is that what this is all about? | 是因为这件事吗 |
[26:35] | Have you really not forgiven me for that yet? | 你真的还没为那件事原谅我吗 |
[26:37] | You know that’s the biggest regret of my life. | 你知道那是我这辈子最大的遗憾 |
[26:41] | It’s that. | 是因为那个 |
[26:43] | It’s also the fact that I have been there | 也是因为我所说的那些事 |
[26:46] | for every one of those things. | 我都在场 |
[26:49] | I’m an even worse rationalizer than you are. | 我比你还会为我们开脱 |
[26:52] | I– I have turned to the dark side | 我黑化了 |
[26:54] | and lost any concept of a moral code for anything. | 并且失去了所有的道德准则 |
[26:58] | I mean, at least you can tell yourself you’re doing it for your dream. | 至少你能对自己说这么做是为了你的梦想 |
[27:01] | Our dream. Our dream. | 是我们的梦想 我们的 |
[27:04] | No, your dream. | 不 是你的梦想 |
[27:07] | I don’t even know what mine is. | 我都不知道自己有什么梦想 |
[27:10] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[27:12] | So then, let’s figure out what that is. | 那我们就搞清楚你的梦想是什么 |
[27:15] | Right? And then… And then, I promise you, | 好吧 然后… 然后我向你保证 |
[27:18] | I will do everything in my power | 我会尽我的全力 |
[27:19] | to make that come true. Okay? | 实现你的梦想 好吗 |
[27:21] | I owe you that. | 这是我亏欠你的 |
[27:23] | After the election. | 等竞选结束 |
[27:24] | Yeah, of course. | 对 当然了 |
[27:30] | And what if… | 那如果… |
[27:33] | my dream interferes with yours? | 我的梦想与你的冲突呢 |
[27:37] | Are you willing to put yours on hold | 你愿意搁置自己的梦想 |
[27:39] | to make mine come true? | 来实现我的梦想吗 |
[27:41] | But why would we have to do that? | 但我们为什么会走到那一步呢 |
[27:43] | I’m asking if you would. | 我是在问你愿不愿意 |
[27:46] | Yeah, yes, yeah. Absolutely, yes. | 愿意 愿意 当然 我会的 |
[27:53] | Okay? | 好吗 |
[28:03] | I’m not some rabbi looking for you to come to temple | 我不是什么希望你来圣殿 |
[28:05] | in exchange for an endorsement. | 以此给你背书的拉比 |
[28:13] | Okay. Yeah, just go. Just walk out. | 好吧 行 走吧 走吧 |
[28:15] | You got practice leaving men | 反正你有事情一变严肃 |
[28:16] | as things are about to get serious. | 就离开男人的习惯 |
[28:18] | I left Thad for you! | 我是为了你才离开萨德 |
[28:19] | Let’s not forget you’re the one who wanted to bring Astrid into our bed | 别忘了是你想让阿斯特丽德和我们三人行 |
[28:22] | so that you could shut her up, okay? | 并以此让她闭嘴 不是吗 |
[28:23] | You’re no better than I am! | 你简直五十步笑百步 |
[28:25] | You’re right. | 你说得对 |
[28:27] | But leaving you is the only way I can be certain. | 但离开你是我唯一能确定的方式 |
[28:33] | Goodbye, Payton. | 再见 佩顿 |
[28:43] | I didn’t come all the way across the country | 我这么大老远跑来 |
[28:45] | to watch you starve yourself. | 不是为了看你挨饿 |
[28:48] | I’m in a constant state of nausea. | 我总觉得恶心想吐 |
[28:50] | I’ve never experienced this complicated a moral dilemma. | 我从未经历过如此复杂的道德困境 |
[28:55] | Or is it an ethical dilemma? | 或者说是伦理困境 |
[28:56] | I can never remember the difference. | 我总是分不清这二者的差别 |
[28:58] | Ethics are the rules that social systems provide us, | 伦理是社会制度为我们制定的规则 |
[29:02] | and morals are the principles which we govern ourselves by. | 道德则是我们管控自身的原则 |
[29:06] | That’s why I’m struggling. | 这就是我痛苦挣扎的原因 |
[29:08] | Am I confused about what I’m supposed to do | 我是在为自己应做之事感到困惑吗 |
[29:10] | because the culture says | 因为大众文化告诉我们 |
[29:11] | that it matters that I do the right thing, | 行之有义至关重要 |
[29:13] | or does doing the right thing… | 还是做正确的事 |
[29:16] | actually matter to me? | 对我来说真的重要吗 |
[29:17] | Who cares? | 谁在乎呢 |
[29:19] | I care, Mom. | 我在乎 妈 |
[29:20] | This is a defining moment in my life and career. | 这是我人生和事业的决定性时刻 |
[29:22] | Every politician has his or her crossroads | 每一个政客在最终做出选择时 |
[29:24] | when they finally have to choose one path or the other. | 都会遇到自己人生的十字路口 |
[29:27] | So do I tell myself that, no matter what I have to do, | 所以我该告诉自己 无论我必须做什么 |
[29:31] | what rules I break, | 无论我违反了什么规则 |
[29:32] | or people I have to kill, | 无论我必须杀什么人 |
[29:34] | backroom deals I have to cut, | 无论我达成了什么幕后交易 |
[29:36] | I’m still a white knight | 我仍然是一位白衣骑士 |
[29:37] | because I’m fighting for what’s right? | 因为我在为正义而战 |
[29:39] | Or am I a man of core values? | 或者我是个有核心价值观的人吗 |
[29:41] | Am I a champion of truth and integrity | 我是个会为了真理和正直 |
[29:44] | who’s willing to sacrifice what’s good for what’s right? | 为了正义牺牲利益的好人吗 |
[29:47] | Am I ethical or moral? | 我是合乎伦理还是合乎道德 |
[29:50] | Or neither? | 或两者皆无 |
[29:53] | You know, am I Jimmy Carter or Bill Clinton? | 我是吉米·卡特还是比尔·克林顿 |
[29:55] | Or Lyndon Johnson? | 还是林登·约翰逊 |
[29:56] | Clinton was reelected. | 克林顿连任了 |
[29:59] | Ethics says you should turn this ballot box over | 从伦理上来说 你应该上交投票箱 |
[30:03] | and explain what happened. | 解释发生的一切 |
[30:05] | There will be an investigation, | 他们会来调查 |
[30:06] | Infinity will probably get arrested, | 英菲尼蒂可能会被逮捕 |
[30:08] | and they will count the votes. | 而且他们会重新清点选票 |
[30:10] | I’d lose and be tainted, | 我会输掉选举 声名狼藉 |
[30:12] | and I’d send my friend to jail. | 还把朋友送进了监狱 |
[30:14] | – What’s the moral thing? – I told you. | -从道德上来说该怎么做 -我告诉过你了 |
[30:16] | Morality is how we govern ourselves. | 道德是我们如何管控自身 |
[30:19] | You can throw that ballot box in the East River, | 你可以把投票箱扔进纽约东河 |
[30:21] | but can you live with the consequences to your conscience? | 但这么做 你会良心不安吗 |
[30:25] | What if I hear the ballots from down there constantly? | 如果我总是听到投票箱在河底的声音呢 |
[30:27] | You know, like that guy from The Tell-Tale Heart? | 就像《泄密的心》里面的那个人一样 |
[30:31] | You once said that my ambition frightened you. | 你曾说 我的野心让你感到害怕 |
[30:34] | Is that what you’re talking about? | 你指的是这样的事吗 |
[30:35] | Did you always know that I… | 你一直都知道 |
[30:38] | …had the capacity to live | 我有能力生活在 |
[30:39] | outside the normal boundaries of ethics and morals? | 正常的伦理道德界限之外吗 |
[30:43] | When you were a little boy, | 你小时候 |
[30:45] | you used to love to steal cookies and candy from the pantry. | 很喜欢从食品柜里偷饼干和糖果 |
[30:50] | Your father never really noticed any of you, | 你父亲从没真正注意过你们三个 |
[30:52] | but he was a true prude about sweets. | 但他对特别在意糖果 |
[30:57] | I’m not sure if it was… | 我不确定他是 |
[31:00] | that he was worried about obesity | 因为担心肥胖 |
[31:02] | or he was shorting sugar stocks | 还是他想减少家中的糖 |
[31:03] | or maybe it was that Katie Couric documentary, | 又或者是因为凯蒂·库里克拍的纪录片 |
[31:06] | but he was adamant. | 总之他很坚定 |
[31:08] | I outwardly agreed, but then looked the other way | 我表面同意 但在你偷糖时 |
[31:11] | when you did your pilfering. | 却装作什么也没有看见 |
[31:12] | Are you saying that you think | 你是在说你认为 |
[31:14] | it’s okay to steal under certain circumstances? | 在某些情况下偷东西也没问题吗 |
[31:16] | I would watch you after you took a sleeve of Oreos | 我会看着你 在你拿了一袖子奥利奥 |
[31:20] | or a bag of Swedish Fish, | 或一袋瑞典鱼糖果后 |
[31:21] | and for the first hour or so, | 在头一个小时左右 |
[31:24] | you would be paranoid and agitated and upset. | 你会变得多疑 焦虑 不安 |
[31:29] | At first, I thought that | 起初 我还以为 |
[31:30] | you felt guilty over being dishonest, | 你是因为不诚实而感到内疚 |
[31:34] | but after a while, | 但不久之后 |
[31:36] | when you realized that you hadn’t been caught, | 当你意识到自己没被大人抓住 |
[31:40] | you would start to relax. | 你就开始放轻松了 |
[31:42] | Not only relax, you would get a skip in your step. | 不仅仅是放松 你走路都会走走跳跳了 |
[31:47] | – Sugar high? – No. | -因为血糖偏高了吗 -不是 |
[31:49] | Because I think, for you, | 因为我觉得 对你来说 |
[31:52] | the best part was realizing that you had gotten away with it. | 最开心的是你意识到自己逃脱了惩罚 |
[31:57] | You are who you are, Payton. | 你就是你 佩顿 |
[31:59] | I think you’ve known exactly what you’re going to do | 我想从你看到这个投票箱的那一刻起 |
[32:01] | with that ballot box from the moment you saw it. | 你就很清楚自己要如何处理它 |
[32:04] | Your struggle isn’t deciding what you’re going to do. | 你挣扎的不是你要去做什么 |
[32:10] | It’s accepting who you are. | 而是如何接受这样的自己 |
[32:22] | Congratulations on winning your election, Mom. | 祝贺你赢得选举 妈 |
[32:25] | I’m very proud of you. | 我为你感到骄傲 |
[32:28] | Are you gonna eat anything? | 你要吃点什么吗 |
[32:31] | I’m gonna get stoned and have a bath. | 我要去嗑嗨 然后洗个澡 |
[32:46] | We’re gonna do nothing about the box. | 对于那个投票箱 我们什么也不做 |
[32:47] | Are you sure? | 你确定 |
[32:49] | Alice left me. | 艾丽斯离开我了 |
[32:51] | All I have left is my career | 我只剩事业 |
[32:54] | and my dream, | 和梦想了 |
[32:56] | so I will make it to the White House. | 所以我一定会入驻白宫 |
[33:01] | Even if I have to lie and cheat | 就算我必须说谎作弊 |
[33:03] | and burn the world down to get there. | 焚毁整个世界才能到达那 |