时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:03] | You know anything about this | 你知道这是什么吗 |
[00:04] | “Single white female, attorney, 30ish…?” | 单身白人女性 律师 三十出头 |
[00:06] | Where did you get this? | 你从哪里弄来的 |
[00:07] | Podiatrist, 40ish, loves movies and Mane. | 足科医生 四十出头 爱好电影和骑马 |
[00:10] | Spoke for an hour on the phone last night! | 昨晚跟他煲了一个小时电话粥 |
[00:12] | Dr. Braun | Braun医生 |
[00:13] | I am both mindful of your presence in the courtroom | 我注意到你每天都到法庭上来 |
[00:15] | every day and of your loss. | 我为你的遭遇感到难过 |
[00:17] | Why don’t you die? | 你怎么不去死 |
[00:19] | We’ve heard doctor after doctor | 我们听了一个又一个医生 |
[00:20] | talk about Ronald Martin. | 谈论Ronald Martin |
[00:22] | How he was temporarily insane, | 说他暂时精神失常 |
[00:24] | how he wasn’t responsible. | 说他不该承担责任 |
[00:25] | Ronald Martin Ronald Martin, | |
[00:26] | the man who strangled Donna Braun for seven minutes. | 正是他勒了Donna Braun足足七分钟 |
[00:30] | On the charge of first-degree murder | 关于一级谋杀罪的指控 |
[00:33] | we find the defendant not guilty | 我们基于暂时精神失常 |
[00:35] | by reason of temporary insanity. | 裁决被告无罪 |
[00:37] | You’re filth! You should die! | 你无耻 你去死吧 |
[00:39] | You should die! | 去死吧 |
[00:40] | I shot him and I watched his neck explode. | 我崩了他 我看着他的脖子被打穿 |
[00:44] | And it was joyous. | 真痛快 |
[00:46] | If Gerald Braun came to you before and said: | 如果Gerold Braun事前来对你说 |
[00:48] | “Oh, by the way, I’m going to kill Ronald Martin.” | 哦 我要去杀了Ronald Martin |
[00:50] | I hardly think you’d give him your moral blessing. | 我不相信你会给他什么道义上的祝福 |
[00:53] | Well, you would be wrong, Mr. Goode. | 那你就错了 Goode先生 |
[00:55] | Because Dr. Braun did come to me | 因为Braun医生确实来找过我 |
[00:57] | and I did give him my blessing. | 我也确实给了他祝福 |
[00:59] | I don’t believe this. | 真是不可思议 |
[01:00] | That’s not in the Torah. | 这可不是旧约的内容了 |
[01:01] | Page Jimmy as soon as they go off the air, | 通知Jimmy 节目结束之后 |
[01:03] | tell him to drag Danny’s ass in here! | 让他马上把Danny给我拖回来 |
[01:05] | You encouraged Dr. Braun to commit a homicide. | 你教唆Braun医生谋杀 |
[01:08] | This is not an appropriate thing | 这可不是一个拉比 |
[01:09] | rabbis should do with congregates. | 和他的教众该做的事 |
[01:11] | -Mr. Warner? -Yes? | -Warner先生 -是我 |
[01:12] | Detective Robert Belle, Boston Police. | 我是Robert Belle警官 波士顿警局的 |
[01:14] | Place your hands behind your back, please, sir. | 请把手放到背后 先生 |
[01:16] | What? Why? | 什么 为什么 |
[01:19] | He’s basically been arrested for | 他基本上是因为 |
[01:20] | exercising his right to free speech. | 行使言论自由权利而被逮捕的 |
[01:22] | All speech isn’t protected, counsel. | 不是什么言论都该被保护的 律师 |
[01:24] | Especially the kind that facilitates murder. | 特别是这种教唆谋杀的 |
[01:26] | He gave an opinion. | 他只是陈述观点而已 |
[01:28] | A congregate came to him seeking spiritual counsel | 教众向他寻求精神指导 |
[01:31] | and he gave his learned opinion. | 他提供了宗教上的见解 |
[01:33] | Your motion is denied. | 你的申请被驳回 |
[01:35] | Rabbi Warner will stand trial | Gerold Braun谋杀案审理完毕后 |
[01:37] | for accessory to a homicide to commence immediately | 拉比Warner将立即接受 |
[01:40] | following the Gerald Braun murder trial. | 协从谋杀罪的审判 |
[01:42] | Busy month for you. | 你这个月可够忙的 |
[01:45] | Rabbi Warner, can I get you to comment? | Warner拉比 可以说几句吗 |
[01:47] | No comment. | 无可奉告 |
[01:47] | People have dubbed you “the Killer Rabbi.” | 人们已经称你为”杀手拉比” |
[01:49] | -Any reaction? -No comment. | -你对此怎么看 -无可奉告 |
[01:50] | I’d like to respond to it. | 我愿意回答你的问题 |
[01:51] | I think this Killer Rabbi crap is disgusting. | 我认为所谓”杀手拉比”的说法完全是胡扯 |
[01:54] | If he was black, you’d just call him “killer.” | 如果他是个黑人 你们只会叫他”杀手” |
[01:56] | If he were a regular white guy, | 如果他是个普通的白人 |
[01:57] | you’d say “the accused.” | 你们会称他”嫌犯” |
[01:59] | But give the guy a yarmulke | 但如果他是犹太人 |
[02:00] | and you all push the ethnic buttons. | 你们就拿种族来做文章了 |
[02:02] | -It’s shameful. -Jimmy. | -这很可耻 -Jimmy |
[02:04] | No further comment. | 我说完了 |
[03:01] | Okay, Steven. Trial is set for tomorrow. | Steven 庭审安排在明天 |
[03:03] | Should be quick. | 应该会很快 |
[03:04] | They’re putting up the victim and the arresting cop. | 只有受害人和逮捕你的警察会出庭作证 |
[03:06] | That’s it. | 仅此而已 |
[03:07] | Maybe one or two days, | 估计只要一两天 |
[03:08] | unless you think of anyone who could testify for you. | 除非你能找到人为你作证 |
[03:10] | Questions? | 有问题吗 |
[03:12] | Just one. | 就一个 |
[03:14] | Who are you? | 您哪位 |
[03:16] | Aren’t you Steven Frenauld? | 你不是Steven Frenauld吗 |
[03:30] | Okay, Steven? | Steven吗 |
[03:32] | Yeah. | 对 |
[03:33] | The trial’s set for tomorrow. Should be fast. | 庭审安排在明天 应该会很快 |
[03:35] | They’re putting up the victim and the officer. | 受害人和警察会出庭作证 |
[03:38] | Figure one to two days. Questions? | 我估计一两天时间 有问题吗 |
[03:46] | Make me an offer. | 开个条件吧 |
[03:48] | You’re married. | 你是已婚人士 |
[03:50] | Steven Frenauld case. | Steven Frenauld的案子 |
[03:53] | You got one witness, Renee. | 你只有一个证人 Renee |
[03:54] | It was night. | 案发时间是在晚上 |
[03:55] | I get reasonable doubt just thinking about it. | 我可以提出合理怀疑 你考虑下 |
[03:57] | And your Steven Frenauld has three priors. | Steven Frenauld有三次前科 |
[03:59] | The parking lot was well-lit, | 停车场光线很好 |
[04:01] | and I have eyewitness testimony. | 我还有目击证人可以作证 |
[04:03] | I’ll play the race card. | 我可以打种族牌 |
[04:04] | That’s why they put me on this case, | 所以他们让我办这个案子 |
[04:06] | to take away your race card. | 让你打不了种族牌 |
[04:08] | Three years, two suspended, | 三年 其中两年暂缓执行 |
[04:09] | we plead guilty. | 我们同意认罪 |
[04:10] | So he serves just one? | 只让他只坐一年牢 |
[04:12] | If you lose, he walks. | 你要是输了 他一天牢都不坐 |
[04:14] | I tell you what. | 要不这样吧 |
[04:16] | You know, I shouldn’t do this. | 我本不该这么干 |
[04:17] | I mean, I could lose my job, but… | 弄不好会被炒鱿鱼 不过 |
[04:20] | A hundred bucks. | 一百块 |
[04:23] | Sorry? | 啥 |
[04:24] | Hundred bucks says you lose. | 一百块赌你输 |
[04:26] | You want to bet on it? | 你要跟我打赌 |
[04:28] | You took this court-appointed? | 你这案子是法院指定的对吧 |
[04:29] | That means your fee tops at 700? | 也就是说你的律师费最多七百块 |
[04:32] | Now, I am just giving you the chance to make eight. | 我给你个机会让你挣八百 |
[04:35] | Of course, if you don’t think that you can win this case | 当然 如果你对这个案子没信心就算了 |
[04:37] | I understand. | 我理解 |
[04:38] | I’m in. With a rider. | 我接受 附加一条 |
[04:40] | It’s double if the jury takes less than | 如果陪审团在一小时内做出裁决 |
[04:42] | an hour to deliberate. | 赌注加倍 |
[04:44] | You got it. | 一言为定 |
[04:49] | I don’t understand. | 我没搞懂 |
[04:50] | You’re meeting him for both lunch and dinner? | 你午饭和晚饭都和他一起? |
[04:52] | The lunch is to get the meeting part over with. | 午饭只是先见见面 |
[04:54] | The date is in the evening, assuming, you know? | 晚饭才是约会 如果顺利的话 你懂吧 |
[04:59] | Are you all right? | 你还好吧 |
[05:02] | Not really. | 不好 |
[05:04] | The truth is I’d prefer to just | 其实吧 我希望再继续 |
[05:05] | keep the phone relationship going for another month. | 保持电话交往一个月 |
[05:08] | Or, you know, year. | 或者 再一年 |
[05:11] | Becca, will you help me with my makeup? | Becca 你能帮我化下妆吗 |
[05:14] | Of course. | 当然 |
[05:16] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[05:19] | They’ll drop to murder two, | 他们只肯降到二级谋杀 |
[05:20] | but no-go on manslaughter. | 不肯指控非预谋杀人罪 |
[05:22] | Which means what? | 什么意思 |
[05:26] | Trial. | 代表要审判 |
[05:27] | No point in copping to second-degree. | 以二级谋杀达成交易没有意义 |
[05:29] | My advice? Temporary insanity. | 我建议 以暂时性精神失常辩护 |
[05:32] | I think the jury will jump at it. | 陪审团会欣然采纳的 |
[05:34] | Temporary insanity. | 暂时性精神失常 |
[05:37] | The Ronald Martin defense. | Ronald Martin也是这样辩护的 |
[05:38] | Your daughter was murdered. | 你的女儿被人杀害 |
[05:39] | The pressure of the trial topped off with an acquittal. | 无罪的判决把你逼到崩溃的边缘 |
[05:42] | You snapped. | 你失控了 |
[05:44] | No. | 不行 |
[05:47] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[05:48] | No. | 不行 |
[05:50] | I will not use the Ronald Martin defense. | 我不会采用Ronald Martin的辩护理由 |
[05:52] | I knew what I was doing. | 我知道自己当时在做什么 |
[05:53] | I won’t pretend otherwise. | 我不会谎称神志不清 |
[05:55] | -Gerald? -No. | -Gerald -不行 |
[05:56] | Dr. Braun, you have no other choice. | Braun医生 你别无选择 |
[05:59] | Look at you. | 你看看自己 |
[06:01] | You’re advising me to lie. | 你在建议我撒谎 |
[06:04] | And you sit there, poleaxed at my hesitation. | 还对我的犹豫表示不理解 |
[06:07] | Is dishonesty so organic to this system | 谎言是不是已经在司法体系内泛滥成灾 |
[06:09] | that you’re actually thrown by a client | 以至于你们甚至不能接受 |
[06:11] | who opts for the truth? | 一个诚信的当事人了 |
[06:13] | Let’s fix the system next week. | 司法体系可以日后再完善 |
[06:15] | For now, you have a temporary-insanity defense | 眼下 你要么以暂时精神失常来辩护 |
[06:18] | or an extended prison term. | 要么就等着把牢底坐穿 |
[06:21] | If I seem thrown, maybe it’s I’m surprised | 如果我显得惊讶 或许是因为看到 |
[06:22] | a person who shot somebody in the head | 一个崩了别人脑袋的人 |
[06:25] | could be such a stickler for principle. | 竟如此坚守原则 |
[06:26] | That’s not fair. How dare you? | 你怎么可以这样说话 |
[06:28] | Mrs. Braun, | Braun太太 |
[06:29] | it is not my function as a lawyer | 我作为律师 |
[06:31] | to coddle either one of you. | 没有义务对你们说好听的 |
[06:32] | This is a murder trial. It’ll get rough. | 这是谋杀案 艰苦的还在后面 |
[06:35] | If you want comfort, go to your rabbi. | 如果要寻找安慰 去找你们的拉比 |
[06:38] | Though I suspect that’s partly what | 尽管一定程度上正是他 |
[06:40] | got you into this trouble to begin with. | 害得你们惹上现在的麻烦 |
[06:44] | We should go with the rabbi on this one. | 我们应该跟拉比保持一致 |
[06:46] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[06:47] | Well, stand right up in court | 我们到了法庭上 |
[06:48] | and say what Daniel said on the TV show. | 把Daniel在电视上说的话再说一遍 |
[06:51] | It’s more right for Ronald Martin | “让Ronald Martin死掉 |
[06:53] | to be dead than free. | 比让他自由更道德” |
[06:55] | We can’t do that. | 我们不能这样说 |
[06:56] | Of course we can. | 当然可以 |
[06:57] | Just wink to the jury and say, | 只要给陪审团使使眼色 然后说 |
[07:00] | You know, he did it. Let him go anyway. | 就是他干的没错 放了他吧 |
[07:01] | There’s a name for it. | 有个术语 |
[07:02] | Yeah, it’s called “jury nullification.” | 没错 那叫”废弃裁决” |
[07:04] | And ethically, a lawyer can’t argue it. | 从职业道德上讲 律师不能以此作为辩护 |
[07:06] | Our client shot off a guy’s head, | 我们的当事人崩了别人的脑袋 |
[07:08] | we’re gonna get caught up on ethics? | 我们难道要被职业道德捆住手脚吗 |
[07:10] | Put it right to that jury. | 就这样告诉陪审团 |
[07:11] | Ronald Martin got what was coming to him. | Ronald Martin是罪有应得 |
[07:13] | What if it was your daughter? | 如果是你的女儿呢 |
[07:15] | Who wouldn’t pull that trigger? | 你会不会开枪 |
[07:16] | This is America | 这里是美国 |
[07:18] | Bong. Not guilty. | 砰 无罪 |
[07:22] | Cancel whatever I got tomorrow, Bec. | 帮我取消明天所有的安排 Bec |
[07:24] | I’m going to trial. | 我要出庭 |
[07:26] | On Frenauld? | Frenauld的案子吗 |
[07:27] | DA won’t deal. | 检察官不肯和解 |
[07:28] | She’ll bet though. I got 100 bucks saying I’ll win. | 她还跟我打赌 我要是胜诉就赢一百块 |
[07:33] | Podiatrist? | 足科医生? |
[07:35] | Excuse me. You made a bet on Frenauld? | 等下 你跟她赌Frenauld |
[07:37] | The armed robber? | 那个持械抢劫犯 |
[07:38] | The very one. | 正是 |
[07:38] | They have an eyewitness. | 他们有目击证人 |
[07:40] | Have you seen me cross-examine an eyewitness, Lindsay? | 你从来没看过我盘问目击证人吧 Lindsay |
[07:42] | Tell her, Bobby. | 告诉她 Bobby |
[07:43] | He’s good. | 他很棒 |
[07:44] | This eyewitness is perfect. | 那个目击证人无懈可击 |
[07:46] | When I hear they’re perfect, I just smile. | 你说无懈可击 我一笑置之 |
[07:48] | You want in on the action? Hundred bucks to you. | 你赌不赌 赌注一百块 |
[07:52] | Don’t do it. | 别跟他赌 |
[07:54] | I handled the arraignment on this case. | 这个案子的传讯是我去的 |
[07:55] | I read the incident report. He can’t win this. | 我看过警方的报告 他打不赢的 |
[07:57] | Lindsay, don’t bet him. | Lindsay 别跟他赌 |
[08:03] | A hundred bucks. | 一百块 |
[08:06] | You cannot win this case. | 你打不赢这个案子 |
[08:07] | If you do, I’ll be watching. | 如果你真的赢了 我会旁听 |
[08:09] | The education will be worth the money I lose. | 我输的钱当交学费也值了 |
[08:11] | Come on, Jimmy. | 走吧 Jimmy |
[08:12] | You cannot win this case. | 你赢不了这个案子 |
[08:16] | You won’t. | 赢不了 |
[08:19] | The defense reasserts his plea of not guilty, Your Honor. | 被告重申无罪辩护 法官阁下 |
[08:22] | And we would be seeking an immediate trial date. | 而且我们请求立即审理 |
[08:24] | Not guilty by reason of insanity? | 基于精神失常的无罪辩护? |
[08:26] | No, Your Honor. A straight not guilty. | 不 法官阁下 直接无罪辩护 |
[08:31] | Do you plan to challenge | 你是准备质疑 |
[08:32] | the constitutionality of the confession? | 被告供述的违宪问题? |
[08:34] | No, Your Honor. | 不 法官阁下 |
[08:38] | The plea of not guilty is so entered. | 将无罪辩护记录在案 |
[08:40] | I’ll see counsel in chambers. | 律师到我办公室来 |
[08:46] | Well? | 说吧 |
[08:47] | My client insists on not guilty. | 我的当事人坚持无罪辩护 |
[08:49] | He refuses to argue insanity. | 他拒绝以精神失常辩护 |
[08:50] | You’re going jury nullification? | 你们要打”废弃裁决”? |
[08:54] | I don’t know what I’m doing yet. | 我还没想好 |
[08:55] | You don’t know what you are doing, | 你还没想好 |
[08:56] | and you’re asking for an immediate trial? | 那你还要求立即审理 |
[08:58] | Do I look like an idiot? | 我像傻子吗 |
[09:00] | Do I? | 我像吗 |
[09:01] | I will hammer that jury with the strongest | 我将竭尽所能告知陪审团 |
[09:03] | instruction I have ever crafted. Know that. | 务必遵循法律来判决 明白吗 |
[09:05] | I’ve got a job to do, Your Honor. | 我有我的职责 法官阁下 |
[09:07] | As do I! | 彼此彼此 |
[09:08] | You’d better come up with something else. | 你最好提出其它的理由 |
[09:10] | I will not let you argue to the jury | 我不会让你诱导陪审团 |
[09:12] | that they ignore the law. | 无视法律的存在 |
[09:13] | I’ll just go not guilty on the elements, your Honor. | 我只根据案件事实做无罪辩护 法官阁下 |
[09:15] | That’s it. | 仅此而已 |
[09:17] | Right. | 是嘛 |
[09:26] | Working late? | 加班呢 |
[09:28] | Trial starts first-up. | 明天一早庭审 |
[09:30] | I’m curious, Eugene. | 我有点好奇 Eugene |
[09:31] | Why didn’t you ask for a probable-cause hearing? | 你为什么不申请正当诉由听证呢 |
[09:34] | On this? | 这个案子吗 |
[09:35] | Well, if nothing else, | 不说别的 |
[09:36] | it would’ve been good for discovery. | 至少听证有利于要求检方披露证据 |
[09:38] | They only would’ve put up the cop, | 他们只会让那个警察作证 |
[09:40] | and there’s no discovery with him. | 没什么可披露的 |
[09:41] | The whole case is the victim’s eyewitness testimony. | 整个案子的关键在于受害人的目击证言 |
[09:45] | Then why didn’t you try to get it | 那你为什么不以违宪为由 |
[09:47] | kicked on constitutional grounds? | 排除他作证呢 |
[09:49] | You going to law school on the sly, Rebecca? | 你准备考法学院吗 Rebecca |
[09:52] | You don’t need to be a lawyer to know | 就算不是律师也知道 |
[09:54] | there’s something wrong with an ID made | 让嫌犯戴着手铐进行指认 |
[09:55] | while the suspect is in handcuffs. | 是不合规矩的 |
[09:57] | The suspect was made three times. | 嫌犯被指认了三次 |
[09:59] | Once before, once after the arrest. | 一次在逮捕前 一次在逮捕后 |
[10:04] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[10:09] | Guess I’m wrong, then. | 看来是我搞错了 |
[10:13] | Say what you have to say, Rebecca. | 有话直说吧 Rebecca |
[10:15] | Since you ask. | 既然你这么问 |
[10:17] | This case is court-appointed. | 这个案子是法院指定的 |
[10:19] | You get paid the same, which isn’t saying much, | 报酬是固定的 而且不怎么高 |
[10:21] | no matter how much time you put in. | 无论你投入多少时间 |
[10:23] | Seems to me you could’ve brought probable cause | 我觉得你本来可以申请正当诉由听证 |
[10:25] | or motions to suppress. | 或申请排除非法证据 |
[10:27] | But you’re happy just to | 但是你却乐于 |
[10:28] | jump through the court-appointed required hoops. | 听从法院的一切安排 |
[10:30] | Done? | 说完了吗 |
[10:32] | That’s all. | 完了 |
[10:33] | First off, the guy did it. We all… | 首先 确实是他干的 我们都… |
[10:34] | Almost all our clients did it. | 我们的当事人几乎都有罪 |
[10:36] | I thought you were done. | 我以为你说完了 |
[10:37] | I had no idea you’d say that. | 我没想到你会那样说 |
[10:39] | Second, a probable-cause hearing | 第二 正当诉由也好 |
[10:40] | or constitutional challenge | 违宪问题也好 |
[10:42] | would be so futile… | 都无关紧要 |
[10:43] | Yeah, but you could’ve preserved the grounds for appeal. | 但是至少可以保住上诉的理由 |
[10:45] | Third, how I choose to defend a case | 第三 我选择怎样的辩护策略 |
[10:47] | -is none of your business. -No, no, wait! | -不关你的事 -不 不对 |
[10:48] | Firm business is my business. | 事务所的事就是我的事 |
[10:50] | If I see malpractice, it’s my responsibility… | 如果我发现失职行为 我有责任… |
[10:52] | Malpractice? | 失职 |
[10:53] | Rebecca, you know nothing about the practice of law. | Rebecca 你对律师执业一无所知 |
[10:56] | And you seem to be overlooking the fact | 而且你似乎忽略了 |
[10:58] | that I’m going to win. | 我将会胜诉的事实 |
[10:59] | Winning rarely amounts to malpractice. | 胜诉可跟失职扯不上关系 |
[11:09] | Good thing for Mr. Frenauld | Frenauld先生该庆幸 |
[11:10] | you got money on it. | 至少你还压了赌注 |
[11:22] | Let me ask you a question | 我问你个问题 |
[11:25] | all that stuff you were saying earlier, | 你之前说的那些 |
[11:27] | who wouldn’t pull the trigger, all that stuff, | 任何人都会开枪什么的 |
[11:29] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[11:33] | Level with me, Jimmy. | 跟我说实话 Jimmy |
[11:34] | When you first heard | 当你最初知道 |
[11:35] | Jerry Braun killed Ronald Martin, | Jerry Braun杀了Ronald Martin |
[11:38] | how did you feel in your gut? | 你的本能反应是什么 |
[11:40] | My gut? | 本能反应 |
[11:41] | In your gut. | 本能反应 |
[11:43] | I said to myself, good for him. | 我对自己说 干得好 |
[11:49] | I mean, I don’t support it or nothing. | 我并不是支持他的做法 |
[11:52] | But if I had a daughter and somebody killed her, | 但如果我有个女儿被人杀害了 |
[11:55] | I’d want him dead. | 我也会想报仇的 |
[11:59] | You think the jury will think like that? | 你觉得陪审团也会这么想吗 |
[12:03] | I do. | 会的 |
[12:08] | So, what we need is some legal angle | 那么我们得给他们一个法律支撑 |
[12:12] | that allows them to go with how they feel. | 让他们能按他们所想的来做出判决 |
[12:16] | Well, you mean some legal angle | 你的意思是得找个办法 |
[12:18] | that allows them to ignore the law. | 让他们无视法律 |
[12:24] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[12:38] | Man, what’s taking so long? | 怎么这么久 |
[12:40] | The judge will be in any second. | 法官马上就来 |
[12:41] | The jury will follow. | 然后陪审团入席 |
[12:43] | Let me see the face again. | 把脸转过来 |
[12:48] | Good. Now sit up straight. | 很好 坐直了 |
[12:50] | Don’t scowl, no matter what the witness says. | 不管证人怎么说 你都不要瞪眼 |
[12:58] | Yo, when do I get to testify? | 我什么时候可以作证 |
[13:01] | We’ll cross that bridge when we’re drowning. For now.. | 除非迫不得己 目前不需要 |
[13:03] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[13:16] | I got it. We got a defense. | 找到了 有辩护理由了 |
[13:18] | Moral justification. It’s a duress theory, little used. | 道德赦免 这是很少用到的辩护策略 |
[13:22] | Moral justification? | 道德赦免 |
[13:24] | Not an absolute defense. | 算不上一个绝对的辩护理由 |
[13:25] | But it can get murder chopped down to manslaughter… | 但是可以把谋杀降为非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:28] | which is as good as an acquittal. | 在本案中就等于无罪了 |
[13:30] | Why is it as good as an acquittal? | 什么叫做等于无罪 |
[13:31] | The DA is only charging murder. | 检方只提出了谋杀罪的指控 |
[13:33] | He’s not charging manslaughter in the alternative. | 没有指控非蓄谋杀人罪 |
[13:35] | Because he’s afraid if the jury has that option, | 因为他担心陪审团更愿意判你 |
[13:37] | they’ll jump at it. | 非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:38] | No, I’m confused. | 我没听懂 |
[13:39] | If he gives the jury the choice | 如果检方同时指控 |
[13:41] | between murder and manslaughter | 谋杀和非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:43] | he’s figuring the jury will pick manslaughter, | 他认为陪审团很可能选择非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:45] | you being sympathetic. | 因为你很容易博得同情 |
[13:47] | He takes away that choice by not charging anything | 他要让陪审团没有选择余地 |
[13:49] | but murder one or murder two. | 只指控一级谋杀或者二级谋杀 |
[13:51] | He’s going all or nothing. | 他要么完胜 要么惨败 |
[13:54] | Which means if we convince the jury | 也就是说如果我们能说服陪审团 |
[13:56] | you’re only guilty of manslaughter, | 你的罪行仅止于非蓄谋杀人 |
[13:57] | you get a straight acquittal. | 那就等于是无罪释放了 |
[13:59] | Could they then charge him with manslaughter? | 他们还能重新以非蓄谋杀人起诉吗 |
[14:01] | No, double jeopardy applies to lesser-included defenses. | 不能 双重危险原则的范围包括”较轻罪行” |
[14:03] | They have to charge manslaughter now | 他们除非现在指控非蓄谋杀人 |
[14:05] | or forever lose it. | 否则就永远没机会了 |
[14:07] | Good going, Jimmy. | 干的不错 Jimmy |
[14:08] | See, now we got something to go in there with. | 现在我们有了辩护理由了 |
[14:11] | You were acting in the heat of passion. | 你当时的行为是出于愤怒 |
[14:13] | Passion was your sense of moral right. | 而愤怒是出于你的道德正义感 |
[14:15] | It’s different from straight jury nullification. | 这不同于纯粹的”废弃裁决” |
[14:18] | And we can argue that. | 我们可以以此辩护 |
[14:19] | Good going, Jimmy. | 干得不赖 Jimmy |
[14:23] | I was loading groceries into my car | 我当时正在往车上装杂货 |
[14:25] | when he appeared. | 他突然出现了 |
[14:27] | “He” being? | “他”指的是 |
[14:28] | The defendant. | 被告 |
[14:30] | He suddenly had a knife at my chest | 他突然用刀对着我的胸口 |
[14:33] | demanding my watch and wallet and | 要我交出手表和钱包 |
[14:34] | saying that he would kill me. | 否则就杀了我 |
[14:36] | And then he lowered the knife to my groin area. | 然后他把刀指向我的腹部 |
[14:40] | What happened then? | 然后呢 |
[14:42] | I gave him my watch and wallet. | 我把表和钱包都给他了 |
[14:43] | And then what happened, sir? | 接下来呢 |
[14:45] | He just ran off. | 他跑走了 |
[14:46] | And this all happened about what time? | 当时大概是什么时间 |
[14:48] | It was exactly 9:03 p.m. I looked at my watch. | 九点零三分 我当时看了表 |
[14:52] | Probably because I knew I’d never see it again. | 因为我知道再也见不到它了 |
[14:54] | How was the lighting in this area, Mr. Agusta? | 案发地的光线怎样 Agusta先生 |
[14:56] | It was very good. | 非常好 |
[14:57] | There were lampposts every four parking spaces. | 每隔四个车位 就有一个路灯 |
[15:01] | And five of the eight cars | 而且我附近的八辆车里 |
[15:02] | near to mine were white… | 有五辆是白色的 |
[15:04] | which I’m sure added to the brightness. | 更加强了光照条件 |
[15:06] | I got a perfect look at him. | 所以我看得非常清楚 |
[15:07] | Now, Mr. Agusta, did you have an occasion to | Agusta先生 你之后有没有 |
[15:10] | see the defendant again? | 再见到被告 |
[15:11] | Yes, I did. | 见到过 |
[15:13] | The police responding to my call said that | 我报警后警察给我回复 |
[15:15] | a man fitting the general description | 说有名男子符合我的描述 |
[15:17] | had been picked up about a mile away | 他们在一英里外发现了他 |
[15:19] | and we drove to the area. | 我们开车赶过去 |
[15:21] | And police had that man in detention. | 警方已经拘留了他 |
[15:25] | And I identified him as the man who robbed me. | 然后我认出来他就是抢劫我的人 |
[15:28] | Now, Mr. Agusta, can you state with absolute certainty | Agusta先生 你是否绝对肯定 |
[15:31] | that this man sitting here at the defense table | 坐在被告席上的那名男子 |
[15:34] | is the same man that you saw on two occasions | 正是你在2月12日晚上 |
[15:38] | on the night of February 12th | 见过两次 |
[15:40] | and then again in the police | 并且2月13日在警局指认时 |
[15:41] | lineup on February 13th? | 再次见过的男子 |
[15:42] | I’m absolutely certain, yes. That’s the man. | 我绝对肯定 就是他 |
[15:46] | Thank you. I have nothing else. | 谢谢 我问完了 |
[15:48] | Your witness. | 到你了 |
[15:58] | Mr. Agusta, you seem to | Agusta先生 |
[16:00] | have a pretty good grasp of the detail. | 你好像很擅长观察细节 |
[16:03] | Well, I’m a photographer by trade, | 我是职业摄影师 |
[16:05] | so, yeah. | 所以 自然擅长 |
[16:08] | I have a pretty good eye. | 我眼力很好 |
[16:10] | I’d say outstanding. | 应该说非常出众 |
[16:11] | You not only remember that five of the eight cars were white. | 你不仅记得八辆车中有五辆是白色的 |
[16:14] | You even identified the little trees | 你甚至还记得嫌犯逃跑时 |
[16:16] | the suspect hopped through when he ran away. | 跨过的小树 |
[16:18] | Well, yeah. Like I say, I have a photographer’s eye. | 我说过了 我有摄影师的眼力 |
[16:22] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[16:23] | But when it came time to describe the suspect himself, | 但当你描述嫌犯本人的特征时 |
[16:27] | you said only that it was a black man with a big head. | 你却只说是个大脑袋黑人 |
[16:30] | Well, it was him. | 我认得 就是他 |
[16:32] | You sit here today | 你今天坐在这里 |
[16:34] | remembering the placement of lampposts, | 记得路灯的位置 |
[16:35] | the color of the surrounding cars, | 周围车辆的颜色 |
[16:37] | and the exact time, to the minute, | 案发的时间精确到分钟 |
[16:39] | but as for what the suspect looked like: | 但是对于嫌犯的外貌只是: |
[16:41] | Black, big head. | 黑人 大脑袋 |
[16:43] | Yes, sir. | 是的先生 |
[16:44] | As I said, I’m certain that it was your client. | 如我所述 我确定就是你的当事人 |
[16:46] | Mr. Agusta, were you a little scared | Agusta先生 你当时害怕吗 |
[16:49] | this knife all of a sudden being put to your chest? | 突然有把刀对着你的胸口 |
[16:52] | I was scared, yeah. | 我当时是害怕 没错 |
[16:53] | But if you’re asking did it compromise | 但如果你是想问这是否 |
[16:56] | my powers of observation | 影响了我的观察力 |
[16:57] | I would honestly say no. | 实事求是地说 没有 |
[16:59] | You were looking at the knife, weren’t you? | 你当时盯着那把刀 对吗 |
[17:00] | I was looking at both the man and the knife. | 我同时看着抢劫的人和那把刀 |
[17:04] | Well, for the knife, you remembered: | 关于那把刀 你记得的是 |
[17:09] | Stainless steel, serrated, | 不锈钢 有锯齿 |
[17:11] | wooden handle, nine inches. | 木把 9英寸 |
[17:14] | For the man, black, big head. | 关于抢劫者 黑人 大脑袋 |
[17:16] | Look, I’m not gonna say that I wasn’t frightened. | 我并不否认当时受到了惊吓 |
[17:19] | Would you say you were very frightened? | 是不是可以说你怕得要死 |
[17:21] | Very frightened. | 我怕得要死 |
[17:22] | Why? You know you get along. | 怕什么呀 你们会很合得来的 |
[17:25] | You’ve been laughing and talking on the phone. | 你们在电话里有说有笑 |
[17:27] | Yeah, but he hasn’t seen me yet, Rebecca. | 可是他从来没见过我 Rebecca |
[17:29] | Today, he sees me. | 今天他要见到我本人了 |
[17:30] | Ellenor, you are a very beautiful woman. | Ellenor 你是个非常漂亮的女人 |
[17:34] | Yeah, well, maybe I’m just nervous about the whole | 好吧 也许我只是不习惯 |
[17:37] | you know, eyes-of-the-beholder thing. | 别人的眼光 |
[17:39] | Moral justification for a homicide? | 道德赦免 用于谋杀案 |
[17:42] | It’s different than jury nullification. | 跟”废弃裁决”不一样 |
[17:44] | It’s not different. | 没什么不同 |
[17:45] | He’s gonna be arguing to the jury to ignore… | 他是想让陪审团无视… |
[17:46] | Look, I don’t have to draw you a road map. | 听着 我无需向你解释 |
[17:48] | Your Honor, The only reason I’m bringing this | 法官阁下 我现在告诉你这件事 |
[17:49] | to your attention now so we don’t waste time | 是不想在审判开始后 |
[17:51] | going back to chambers once the trial starts. | 再浪费时间到你的办公室开会 |
[17:53] | I’m arguing heat of passion. | 我会以”激情驱使”作辩护 |
[17:54] | The passion can be driven by a man’s moral state of mind. | 这种激情来自人们的道德感 |
[17:57] | That’s ridiculous. | 简直是荒唐 |
[17:59] | Fine. You make your arguments, I’ll make mine. | 好啊 我们各自陈述自己的观点 |
[18:01] | So is this why the rabbi is on the witness list? | 这是你让拉比作证的原因吗 |
[18:03] | Is he going to testify that God is on your side? | 他是不是会作证说上帝站在你们这边 |
[18:05] | Whatever he testifies, you can cross-examine. | 不管他怎么说 你都可以交叉质询 |
[18:07] | Mr. Wilke, I seriously suggest that you charge | Wilke先生 我郑重建议你们加上 |
[18:10] | manslaughter in the alternative. | 非蓄谋杀人罪的指控 |
[18:12] | Not a chance. | 不可能 |
[18:13] | You don’t make murder two, he walks free. | 定不了二级谋杀 他将被无罪释放 |
[18:16] | They’re flaunting this. | 他们太招摇了 |
[18:17] | He planned his crime. | 他分明是有计划地犯罪 |
[18:18] | He went home. | 他回到家 |
[18:19] | He went to discuss it with his rabbi first. | 先去找拉比讨论 |
[18:21] | This wasn’t heat of passion. | 这不是激情犯罪 |
[18:23] | This was cold, calculated execution. | 而是冷血的 有计划的复仇 |
[18:26] | Then these people go on television and exalt it. | 然后他们还上电视去炫耀 |
[18:29] | This is murder in the first degree, all the way. | 自始至终都是一级谋杀 |
[18:31] | The jury might reject that. | 陪审团可能不这么想 |
[18:33] | We’re not offering manslaughter. | 我们不会指控非蓄谋杀人 |
[18:35] | This is exciting. | 这可真刺激 |
[18:38] | You gotta admit. | 无可否认 |
[18:40] | Okay. Somebody is gonna be real disappointed. | 好吧 看来有人将要大失所望了 |
[18:43] | Are you still ready to try this next week? | 你们还是准备下周审判吗 |
[18:45] | Ready. | 可以 |
[18:46] | Ready. | 可以 |
[18:47] | Ready. | 可以 |
[18:50] | I am. | 是啊 |
[18:51] | Mr. Agusta, when the police told you | Agusta先生 当警方通知你说 |
[18:54] | they might have the guy | 他们可能抓到了抢劫者 |
[18:55] | and you got into the squad car | 当你上车去辨认 |
[18:57] | to identify the person they had. | 他们抓到的人 |
[18:59] | Truthfully, | 老实说 |
[19:00] | you wanted it to be the man who robbed you, didn’t you? | 你希望那就是抢了你的人 对吗 |
[19:02] | Of course, I did. I wanted him off the street | 当然 我希望他进监狱 |
[19:04] | and I wanted my watch and wallet back. | 而且我想找回我的表和钱包 |
[19:07] | That’s right. | 也对 |
[19:08] | Do you know whether they found | 据你所知 他们在被告身上 |
[19:09] | your wallet and watch in possession of my client? | 找到你的钱包和手表了吗 |
[19:11] | I’m told they didn’t. | 他们说没有 |
[19:12] | What about the steel, serrated knife with the wooden handle? | 那把不锈钢带锯齿的木把刀子呢 |
[19:15] | Did that turn up? | 找到了吗 |
[19:16] | I’m told it did not. | 他们说没有 |
[19:18] | When you pulled up to the scene, | 当你赶到的时候 |
[19:20] | where did you see my client? | 我的当事人在哪儿 |
[19:21] | He was standing between two uniformed police officers | 他站在两位穿警服的警官中间 |
[19:24] | about 20 feet away. | 离我大概二十英尺远 |
[19:25] | He was handcuffed? | 他戴着手铐? |
[19:26] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:27] | And you said, That’s the man. | 于是你马上指出 就是他 |
[19:30] | That’s the man who robbed me, right off. | 就是他抢了我的东西 |
[19:32] | No. No, I got out of the car | 不 我先下了车 |
[19:33] | and took a close look first. | 走近他细看了一眼 |
[19:35] | You didn’t identify him from the car? | 你在车上的时候没认出他来? |
[19:36] | Nope. | 没有 |
[19:37] | So as you looked at him from the car, | 就是说当你在车上 |
[19:38] | standing 20 feet away, | 隔着二十英尺看到他 |
[19:40] | he didn’t look familiar? | 并没觉得他眼熟 |
[19:41] | Well, it looked like it might be him. | 嗯 看起来好像是他 |
[19:44] | How so, sir? | 怎么个像法 先生 |
[19:46] | Well… | 就是… |
[19:50] | Size and build-wise, it could’ve been him. | 身材和体型 很像他 |
[19:53] | Size and build? | 身材和体型 |
[19:54] | Ten minutes earlier, | 十分钟之前 |
[19:55] | you couldn’t give a size and build description. | 你都没法向警官描述身材和体型 |
[19:58] | Well, look, I was still in shock, a little bit. | 嗯 我当时还有一点惊魂未定 |
[20:01] | I’d just been assaulted. | 毕竟刚刚遇到抢劫 |
[20:02] | You were in shock? | 你惊魂未定 |
[20:03] | Your mean your powers of observation | 你是说你的观察力 |
[20:04] | might have been affected a little? | 可能受到一点影响 |
[20:06] | Objection. He’s badgering the witness. | 反对 他在骚扰证人 |
[20:08] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[20:09] | As you saw this man standing 20 feet away, | 当你在二十英尺外看到他的时候 |
[20:13] | what about him made you think | 你凭什么认定 |
[20:14] | this is the man who robbed you, sir? | 他就是抢劫者 先生 |
[20:16] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[20:17] | I just remember thinking that it might be him. | 我只记得当时感觉可能是他 |
[20:20] | And so that’s why I got out of the car to take a closer look. | 所以我下了车走近他去辨认 |
[20:22] | And when I saw him up close, | 当我走近看了之后 |
[20:24] | I knew it was him. I knew it. | 我确信就是他 我确信 |
[20:25] | But you couldn’t recognize him 20 feet away? | 但是你在二十英尺外的时候却没认出来 |
[20:27] | That’s right. I said that. | 没错 我已经说过了 |
[20:28] | Asked and answered. | 反对 重复提问 |
[20:29] | You couldn’t identify my client from 20 feet away. | 你在二十英尺外没能辨认出我的当事人 |
[20:32] | -Yeah, that’s right. -Asked and answered. | -是的 没错 -重复提问 |
[20:33] | But yet, the next day, | 但是 第二天 |
[20:34] | in a police lineup | 在警察局做指认的时候 |
[20:36] | standing 20 feet away, you did recognize him. | 你在二十英尺外 却把他认出来了 |
[20:39] | How is that possible? | 这是怎么回事 |
[20:40] | Objection. | 反对 |
[20:41] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[20:42] | Twenty feet away the night before, you can’t tell. | 头天晚上 你在二十英尺外没认出来 |
[20:45] | Twenty feet away the following morning, | 第二天早上在二十英尺外 |
[20:48] | you pick him out in an instant. | 你却立马就把他认出来了 |
[20:49] | After I saw him the second time, | 在第二次见到他之后 |
[20:53] | there were other characteristics that registered. | 我记住了其它的特征 |
[20:56] | Build, stance, posture… | 身材 站姿 体型 |
[21:00] | So the next day, | 也就是说 你第二天 |
[21:02] | when you picked my client out of a lineup, | 从队列中把我的当事人挑出来 |
[21:04] | you were going off what you saw when he was in police custody? | 是基于他被捕时你看到的特征 |
[21:07] | Well, yes. | 是的 |
[21:08] | Not the things you remembered in the parking lot? | 而不是你在停车场看到的特征? |
[21:11] | By the way, would you call that a big head? | 再问一句 你觉得他的脑袋算大吗 |
[21:15] | Well, it seems smaller today. | 今天看起来要小些 |
[21:17] | You told the police you were absolutely certain | 但是你告诉警方你绝对肯定 |
[21:19] | the suspect had a big head. | 嫌犯是个大脑袋 |
[21:21] | Maybe I was wrong about that. | 也许我记错了 |
[21:22] | Or maybe you were right. | 也许你没记错 |
[21:23] | A photographer by trade with a gift for the detail, | 你是职业摄影师 精于观察细节 |
[21:26] | maybe it was somebody with a big head. | 或许劫匪正是大脑袋 |
[21:28] | It was him! | 就是他 |
[21:29] | Then you were wrong about the big head? | 那你说他大脑袋就是错了 |
[21:30] | I said I was. | 我承认我错了 |
[21:31] | How could you be wrong about something so general as that? | 这么明显的特征你怎么会搞错 |
[21:33] | I don’t know, sir! | 我不知道 先生 |
[21:35] | As I said before, I was in some shock. | 我已经说过 当时我被吓到了 |
[21:37] | Oh, yes! You were in some shock. | 太对了 你当时是被吓到了 |
[21:56] | What’s up? | 怎么了 |
[21:58] | What’s up is I gotta know something. | 我得问你个问题 |
[22:03] | What? | 什么问题 |
[22:04] | When Gerald Braun came to you, | Gerald Braun去找你 |
[22:07] | when he left your office… | 当他离开你的办公室的时候 |
[22:13] | did you know what he was about to do? | 你知不知道他要去做什么 |
[22:18] | Think I wouldn’t have stopped him? | 你觉得我故意不阻止他 |
[22:20] | Danny Danny, | |
[22:24] | did you know? | 你知不知道 |
[22:26] | Of course, I didn’t know. | 我当然不知道 |
[22:28] | I knew he wanted to kill him, | 我知道他想杀了他 |
[22:31] | I never thought he would actually.. | 我完全没想到他真的会.. |
[22:36] | Of course I didn’t know. | 我当然不知道 |
[22:39] | Then why didn’t you stay with him? | 那你为什么没陪着他一起 |
[22:42] | You knew he needed you. | 你知道他需要你 |
[22:47] | Exactly what’s the accusation, here? | 你到底想说什么 |
[22:50] | Danny help me out her a little please, | Danny 拜托跟我说实话 |
[22:52] | Don’t you think you gave him the moral empowerment? | 你不觉得是你给了他道德许可吗 |
[22:57] | Don’t you think you gave him the righteousness | 你不觉得 是你给了他正当性 |
[22:59] | he needed to see it through? | 促使他采取行动的吗 |
[23:03] | Let’s not kid ourselves. | 我们不要自欺欺人了 |
[23:04] | Ronald Martin is dead, in large part, | Ronald Martin的死很大程度上 |
[23:07] | because of you. | 是你造成的 |
[23:09] | I’ll ask again. | 再问一遍 |
[23:13] | What’s the accusation? | 你到底想说什么 |
[23:15] | I am walking uphill into a murder trial | 我将面对一场 |
[23:17] | that will be very difficult to win. | 十分艰难的谋杀案 |
[23:18] | I need to know exactly what I’m dealing with. | 我需要知道所有的真相 |
[23:31] | Friend to friend. | 朋友之间不说假话 |
[23:35] | I don’t grieve for Ronald Martin. | 我真不同情Ronald Martin |
[23:40] | But I never thought Jerry | 但是我从来没想到Jerry |
[23:41] | was about to go off and actually kill him. | 会真的去杀了他 |
[23:52] | He appeared to react nervously to our presence. | 他见到我们有点慌张 |
[23:54] | Fitting the general description of the suspect. | 而且符合对嫌犯的整体描述 |
[23:56] | We detained him until the victim arrived, | 于是我们扣留了他 等受害人过来后 |
[23:58] | making a positive ID. | 指认了他 |
[24:00] | Thank you, officer. No further questions. | 谢谢警官 我问完了 |
[24:06] | He reacted nervously to your presence. | 他看到你们显得慌张 |
[24:10] | You shined your searchlight right in his face, didn’t you? | 你们用手电筒直射到他脸上 不是吗 |
[24:12] | We shined it on his person. | 我们照在他身上 |
[24:13] | Do you think it’s unreasonable for a black man in South Boston | 照你看来 一个黑人在南波士顿 |
[24:17] | to be nervous about two policemen pulling up | 被两个警察用灯光照着 |
[24:20] | and illuminating him, | 像被车灯照射的小鹿一样 |
[24:21] | like a deer caught in their headlights? | 他不该紧张吗 |
[24:22] | I don’t think he had any reason to be nervous | 我觉得如果他没干坏事 |
[24:24] | if he were innocent. | 就没什么可紧张的 |
[24:26] | Silly me. | 我想多了 |
[24:27] | The general description you were talking about | 你所说的”整体描述” |
[24:30] | that would be “black, big head”? | 是指”黑人 大脑袋” ? |
[24:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:33] | Did you or your partner approximate | 你和你的搭档有没有估算一下 |
[24:34] | the circumference of my client’s cranium? | 我的当事人的头围 |
[24:36] | We detained him because he was black, | 我们拘捕他是因为他是黑人 |
[24:38] | in the area of the crime, acting suspiciously. | 离犯罪现场不远 且形迹可疑 |
[24:40] | Acting suspiciously before you lit him up? | 在你用灯光照他之前就形迹可疑? |
[24:44] | No, after. | 不 在那之后 |
[24:46] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 |
[24:50] | The prosecution rests, Your Honor. | 检方举证完毕 法官阁下 |
[24:53] | Thank you, Officer Guthrie. | 多谢 Guthrie警官 |
[24:54] | You can step down. | 你可以下去了 |
[24:55] | Mr. Young, we can break, | Young先生 我们可以先休息 |
[24:56] | or you can call your first witness. | 也可以传唤你的第一位证人 |
[25:00] | We rest, Your Honor. | 我们不举证 法官阁下 |
[25:02] | Concluding arguments at 3. | 三点钟结案陈词 |
[25:05] | We’ll adjourn till then. | 现在休庭 |
[25:08] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[25:09] | Trust me. | 听我的 |
[25:10] | Shouldn’t I say I didn’t do it? | 我不需要上去作证说不是我干的吗 |
[25:12] | You take the stand, your priors | 去作证 你的前科 |
[25:13] | are gonna be put into evidence. | 就会被翻出来作为证据 |
[25:14] | This way, it stays out. | 不作证就不会 |
[25:15] | Yeah, I know. | 我知道 |
[25:16] | But if I say nothing, how is that gonna look? | 但如果我什么都不说 陪审团会怎么看 |
[25:19] | What are you gonna say, Steven? | 你要说什么呢 Steven |
[25:20] | That you were out taking a moon light stroll | 说你只想在南波士顿的街上 |
[25:22] | on the streets of South Boston? | 来个月光下的散步 |
[25:24] | Nature walk? | 漫步大自然吗 |
[25:24] | You got three felony priors. | 你有三次重罪前科 |
[25:26] | How would that look? | 他们会怎么看 |
[25:28] | They didn’t make their case. That’s our defense. | 检方证据不足 这就是我们的辩护理由 |
[25:32] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[26:22] | -George -Ellenor -George? -Ellenor? | |
[26:24] | -Hi. -Hi. Finally. | -嗨 -嗨 终于见面了 |
[26:26] | What a pleasure. | 万分荣幸 |
[26:27] | And what a relief to be getting this part over with. | 终于过了见面这一关了 |
[26:30] | Absolutely. | 没错 |
[26:33] | Oh, sit. Please, sit. | 哦 坐吧 请坐 |
[26:38] | You lied to me. You said you weren’t beautiful. | 你骗我 你还说你不漂亮 |
[26:41] | Oh, well, you know lawyers. | 哦 我是律师嘛 |
[26:42] | We’re taught to conceal the facts. | 隐瞒事实是我们的专业 |
[26:45] | Well, you’re just as funny in person. | 你跟电话上一样幽默 |
[26:47] | Well, I am not gonna lie. | 我说老实话 |
[26:48] | I was so nervous about meeting you. | 跟你见面让我紧张得要死 |
[26:56] | Jimmy, come on. | Jimmy 进来 |
[26:57] | I spoke with Sackman, Kent, the jury consultants. | 我跟陪审团顾问Sackman和Kent谈过了 |
[27:00] | They gave me a list of questions | 他们给了我一个单子 |
[27:01] | we should be looking to | 列出了哪些问题 |
[27:02] | get “yes” answers to. | 我们应该给出肯定的答案 |
[27:04] | Good. | 好的 |
[27:04] | I’m gonna go back in and try to kick venue to Charlestown. | 我去试试能不能把审判地改到查尔斯顿 |
[27:07] | Why? | 为什么 |
[27:08] | People grow up with an eye-for-an-eye code in Charlestown. | 查尔斯顿的人从小就信奉”以眼还眼” |
[27:11] | Our kind of folks. | 对我们有利 |
[27:14] | Listen… | 那个… |
[27:15] | What? | 怎么了 |
[27:18] | Bobby Bobby, | |
[27:19] | I feel a good connection to the Braun case. | 我感觉跟Braun这个案子很有缘分 |
[27:23] | I kind of came up with the game plan. | 可以说辩护的策略是我想出来的 |
[27:26] | And I was wondering whether, maybe, I could run with it. | 我想 能不能让我来负责这个案子 |
[27:29] | Jimmy, you’ve been doing great work, | Jimmy 你做得很棒 |
[27:31] | but this is a jury trial. | 但这是陪审团审判 |
[27:32] | I was losing with jury trials | 我以前做陪审团审判总是输 |
[27:34] | because I sweat. | 是因为我爱冒汗 |
[27:35] | And sweat on the forehead makes you come off distrustful. | 额头冒汗让我显得不靠谱 |
[27:39] | But I’ve corrected the problem. | 但是我现在不会了 |
[27:41] | You saw me on TV. I didn’t sweat. | 你看了我上电视的 我没冒汗 |
[27:44] | Under hot lights, even. Not a bead. | 即使是在聚光灯下 一点都没有 |
[27:46] | Jimmy, I don’t know. | Jimmy 我不知道怎么说 |
[27:49] | I’m right for this one. | 我可以负责这个案子 |
[27:51] | You gave the tobacco case to Lindsay | 你把烟草公司的案子交给Lindsay |
[27:53] | even though she’d never done a jury trial. | 她甚至从来没做过陪审团审判 |
[27:55] | You had a feeling and you went with it. | 你对她有信心 就交给她了 |
[27:58] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[28:03] | Well, I don’t have that feeling here. | 呃 我现在没有那样的信心 |
[28:08] | Oh, okay. | 哦 好吧 |
[28:11] | I want you as second chair. | 我希望你做协办 |
[28:12] | You’re important to this case, definitely. | 这案子没你不行 真的 |
[28:15] | Okay, sure. | 好吧 没问题 |
[28:17] | Ok, let me know what you need. | 需要什么就跟我说 |
[28:19] | I will. | 我会的 |
[28:26] | It was him. It was him. | 是他 是他 |
[28:29] | It was him. It was him. | 是他 是他 |
[28:32] | Now, how many times did we hear Mr. Agusta say this? | 我们听Agusta先生说了多少遍 |
[28:35] | Now, he was standing nose-to-nose. | 当时他们面对面站着 |
[28:38] | The lighting was clear. | 光线非常清楚 |
[28:39] | And he told us in this courtroom that | 他在法庭上告诉我们 |
[28:41] | that is the man that stuck a knife to him | 被告正是那个用刀指着他 |
[28:45] | threatened to kill him, | 威胁要杀他 |
[28:47] | and then robbed him. | 并抢劫了他的人 |
[28:49] | Now, the defense counsel did a lovely job of | 辩方律师巧妙地 |
[28:53] | trying to confuse the witness, | 试图搅乱证人 |
[28:55] | rattle him, | 让他惊慌 |
[28:56] | see how much water he could make him drink. | 看能逼他喝掉多少水 |
[28:59] | But he could not shake him | 但是他没法动摇 |
[29:02] | on the one and only issue in question here. | 一个最基本的事实 |
[29:06] | Who did it? | 谁干的 |
[29:08] | He did. | 他干的 |
[29:10] | He did. | 是他 干的 |
[29:13] | No, he didn’t. | 不 不是他干的 |
[29:17] | But that’s what we all want to believe. Let’s be honest. | 但是我们都愿意相信是他干的 不是吗 |
[29:19] | Because if it’s him, | 因为如果是他干的 |
[29:21] | we can be relieved | 我们就可以松口气 |
[29:23] | that the bad guy’s off the street. | 因为坏人被抓起来了 |
[29:24] | We can feel safe. | 我们就有安全感了 |
[29:26] | That’s what Mr. Agusta wanted to believe | 当Agusta先生去指认嫌犯的时候 |
[29:28] | as he was driven to see the man in police custody. | 也正是这样想的 |
[29:30] | Let it be him. Let it be him. | 是他 是他 |
[29:32] | Damn it, it must be him. | 该死的 一定是他 |
[29:34] | And when he saw Steven Frenauld there with handcuffs on | 当他看到Steven Frenauld戴着手铐 |
[29:37] | it became just a little bit easier to conclude it was him, | 那就更容易相信 就是他了 |
[29:42] | didn’t it? | 不是吗 |
[29:43] | Let me tell you what I think you may already know. | 让我再重复一遍你们已知的事实 |
[29:46] | A man puts a knife to this person. | 有人用刀子指着他 |
[29:49] | And as he says in his testimony, | 正如他自己在证言中所说 |
[29:51] | he went into shock. | 他当时吓坏了 |
[29:52] | And nothing really registers. | 根本没注意那人长什么样 |
[29:54] | Just “black, big head.” | 只知道是黑人 大头 |
[29:56] | That’s all. | 仅此而已 |
[29:57] | Then the suspect runs away. | 然后劫匪跑了 |
[29:59] | And Mr. Agusta gathers himself. He settles. | Agusta先生定定神 冷静下来 |
[30:03] | While waiting for the police to show up, | 在等待警察赶到的期间 |
[30:04] | he takes stock of the lampposts, | 他仔细观察了路灯 |
[30:06] | the white cars, the fern trees. | 白色的车子 以及小灌木 |
[30:09] | That’s why he remembers that stuff. | 所以他记得如此清楚 |
[30:11] | He processed it | 因为他是在 |
[30:12] | in a relative state of calm. | 心情相对平静的时候观察到的 |
[30:14] | But in the heat of the crisis, | 但是在抢劫发生的当时 |
[30:16] | black, big head. That’s all. | 黑人 大头 没有了 |
[30:20] | And if you are to believe that description, | 如果你们要相信他的描述 |
[30:21] | you must acquit. | 你们必须判无罪 |
[30:23] | Because Steven Frenauld doesn’t have a big head. | 因为Steven Frenauld的脑袋根本就不大 |
[30:26] | My head’s bigger than his. | 我的头都比他大 |
[30:27] | So’s Your Honor’s. | 法官阁下也比他大 |
[30:30] | No offense. | 无意冒犯 |
[30:31] | Just proceed, counsel. | 继续陈述 律师 |
[30:34] | The reason the law demands a police lineup, | 法律之所以要求警方履行指认程序 |
[30:37] | ladies and gentlemen | 女士们先生们 |
[30:38] | is because it is an accepted truth | 是因为有一个众所周知的道理 |
[30:40] | when a victim identifies a lone suspect | 那就是如果让受害人单独辨认一个 |
[30:43] | in police custody | 被监禁着的嫌犯 |
[30:46] | he is more likely to automatically conclude it’s the guy. | 他很可能会不假思索地指认”就是他” |
[30:50] | As a matter of law, those identifications are deemed | 在法律上 这样的指认被视为是 |
[30:53] | unreliable, untrustworthy, tainted. | 不可靠 不可信 被污染了的 |
[30:56] | That’s why the police had to bring | 所以警方必须在第二天 |
[30:57] | Mr.Agusta back the next day, | 把Agusta先生叫回来 |
[30:59] | for him to pick a suspect out of a lineup. | 让他从队列中把嫌犯挑出来 |
[31:01] | Because the ID he made the night before | 因为他头天晚上所做的指认 |
[31:03] | was unreliable, untrustworthy, | 是不可靠 不可信 |
[31:07] | tainted. | 被污染了的 |
[31:10] | Now, you might say, | 你们也许会说 |
[31:12] | he did pick Steven Frenauld | 他确实把Steven Frenauld |
[31:13] | out of a lineup. | 从队列中挑出来了呀 |
[31:14] | Of course. | 没错 |
[31:15] | But he wasn’t identifying the guy | 但是他挑出来的不是那个 |
[31:17] | who put the knife to his groin. | 用刀指着他腹部的人 |
[31:18] | He was recognizing the man he saw in police custody. | 他挑的是他看到被警察抓捕的人 |
[31:22] | But the man in custody, this man | 但是这个警察抓捕的人 |
[31:24] | is not the man with the knife, | 不是持刀的人 |
[31:26] | not the big-headed man. | 不是那个大脑袋的人 |
[31:27] | This man is only who Mr. Agusta | 他只是那个Agusta先生 |
[31:30] | wants to believe is the bad guy. | 希望他是坏蛋的人 |
[31:32] | And he admits his confusion. | 他也承认自己搞不清楚 |
[31:33] | Big head, then no big head. | 是大脑袋 不是大脑袋 |
[31:35] | It’s a normal-sized head now. | 正常大小的脑袋 |
[31:37] | Imagine that. | 你们想想看 |
[31:38] | So all we’re left with is black. | 他所描述的特征只剩下 黑人 |
[31:41] | Steven Frenauld sits here, | Steven Frenauld坐在这里 |
[31:43] | black! | 因为他是黑人 |
[31:46] | Just black. | 只因为是黑人 |
[31:50] | They found no knife, no wallet, no watch. | 他们没有找到刀子 钱包 手表 |
[31:55] | There’s no physical evidence. | 他们没有任何物证 |
[31:58] | Just an eyewitness who, in shock, said that | 只有一个惊吓过度的目击证人 |
[32:00] | he could only give a general description. | 他只能对嫌犯作出大体上的特征描述 |
[32:03] | Half of which, the “big head” part, | 而其中一半的特征 大脑袋 |
[32:06] | he retracted. | 他又收回去了 |
[32:08] | Do I really have to stand here and argue | 我真的还有必要站在这里说 |
[32:11] | there’s some reasonable doubt? | 存在合理怀疑吗 |
[32:17] | This was great. | 今晚很愉快 |
[32:19] | Listen, can I give you a ride or walk you to your car? | 我可以载你回家或者送你上车吗 |
[32:23] | -Oh, no. Actually… -Excuse me. | -哦 不用了 -借过 |
[32:26] | I’m gonna go to the Clerk’s Office. | 我要去书记员办公室 |
[32:28] | It’s just across the street. | 就在街对面 |
[32:29] | What about tonight? | 那今天晚上呢 |
[32:30] | Did we decide, dinner or movie? | 我们是吃饭还是看电影 |
[32:32] | I meant to bring the listings, but I forgot. | 我本来列了个清单 但是忘带了 |
[32:34] | You know, George. | 其实 George |
[32:36] | I’m gonna need to take a rain check on that. I’m Sorry. | 今天晚上我去不了了 抱歉 |
[32:40] | Well, okay. | 哦 那好吧 |
[32:41] | it’s just that I’m working on this big 10b-5 case | 我正在做一个证券欺诈的大案子 |
[32:43] | which I thought was going to be continued, | 我本来以为可以延期 |
[32:45] | And then, the judge suddenly is just trying to jam us. | 结果 法官突然通知我们过去 |
[32:47] | I think he wants to force a settlement. | 我觉得他是想逼我们庭外和解 |
[32:49] | I have to be in federal court first thing in the morning. | 总之 我明天一早得去联邦法院 |
[32:52] | Sure. Well, maybe Friday or Saturday night. | 好吧 那周五或者周六晚上怎么样 |
[32:55] | I would love to, really. I would. | 我很想去 真的 我想 |
[32:57] | I just, I have some house guests coming. | 但是我家里要来客人 |
[32:59] | Otherwise, it would be great. | 不然我一定去 |
[33:01] | Listen, why don’t I call you tomorrow? | 这样吧 我明天给你打电话 |
[33:03] | I can get my calendar out. | 我回去看一下日程表 |
[33:04] | I think I’m really, very clear next week. | 我下周应该有空 |
[33:08] | I’m out of town next week. | 我下周不在城里 |
[33:12] | Okay. What about the week after, then? | 好吧 那再下周呢 |
[33:17] | Fine. Week after sounds good. | 好 再下周可以 |
[33:22] | Ok. | 好的 |
[33:26] | I just got this fax from the Clerk’s Office. | 我刚收到书记员办公室的传真 |
[33:28] | A notice of appearance of a new DA in the Braun trial. | 通知我们Braun案增加了一位检察官 |
[33:31] | Asher Silverman Asher Silverman? | |
[33:33] | What, you know this guy? | 怎么 你认识他 |
[33:34] | Asher Silverman is a legend. | Asher Silverman是个传奇人物 |
[33:35] | He has never lost a murder trial. | 他从来没打输过谋杀案 |
[33:37] | So this’ll be a first, then. | 那这就该是他的第一次了 |
[33:39] | He’s also an orthodox rabbi. | 他还是个正统派拉比 |
[33:41] | What are they up to? | 他们想干什么 |
[33:42] | This must be a response to our moral-duress strategy. | 肯定是为了对付我们的”道德赦免”策略 |
[33:45] | He’s a DA and a rabbi? | 他既是检察官又是拉比 |
[33:47] | Maybe this makes him more compassionate. | 这样他也许更有同情心 |
[33:49] | He could be willing to deal. | 他可能会同意庭下调解 |
[33:51] | I don’t know how he is as a rabbi. | 我不知道他是个什么样的拉比 |
[33:52] | But as a DA, this guy is ruthless. | 但是作为地方检察官 他可是冷酷无情 |
[33:55] | They’re not bringing him in here | 他们派他到这个案子上 |
[33:55] | to make a deal, for sure. | 肯定不是为了来和解的 |
[33:57] | This is obviously to offset any argument | 显然是为了对付我们 |
[33:59] | we make on Jewish law. | 根据犹太法提出的抗辩 |
[34:00] | Which is why I gotta know. | 所以我必须了解犹太律法 |
[34:01] | We’re on solid ground. | 我们有充分的理论支撑 |
[34:04] | Ellenor, good, I need you. | Ellenor 正好 我正找你 |
[34:06] | You’re third-chairing the Braun case. | 我要你做Braun案的第二协办 |
[34:08] | We need some… | 我需要… |
[34:08] | I’m really sorry, Bobby. | 很抱歉 Bobby |
[34:09] | I just can’t do that. | 我做不了 |
[34:12] | Why? | 为什么 |
[34:15] | I’m just not comfortable working on this case. | 我只是不愿意参与这个案子 |
[34:18] | Please don’t ask me to participate. | 请别让我参与 |
[34:24] | I’d really ask that you respect me on this. | 我希望你能在这件事上尊重我的意愿 |
[34:28] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[34:30] | Forgive me. | 不好意思 |
[34:32] | Could I be so intrusive as to ask why? | 我能斗胆问一句为什么吗 |
[34:35] | You wore your yarmulke on that television program. | 你上电视的时候戴着犹太帽子 |
[34:39] | When a rabbi speaks as a rabbi, | 当一个人以拉比的身份讲话时 |
[34:42] | he represents Judaism. | 他就代表了犹太教 |
[34:44] | You represented it as vengeful. | 而你表现得报仇心切 |
[34:47] | And as a Jewish person, | 作为犹太人 |
[34:48] | I was offended. | 我觉得被冒犯了 |
[34:52] | L… | 我… |
[34:55] | I’d just rather not work on the case. | 我还是不参与这个案子比较好 |
[34:59] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[35:07] | I don’t know why you didn’t tell my side of the story | 我不懂你为什么不让我说说当时的情况 |
[35:09] | You told me you were out for an innocent walk. | 你说过你只是出去散散步 |
[35:12] | That’s all I needed to know. | 我知道这个就足够了 |
[35:13] | You didn’t ask hard questions, | 你根本都没问 |
[35:14] | almost like you didn’t want to know. | 好像你根本就不想知道 |
[35:16] | Well, defense lawyers gotta play by certain rules. | 辩护律师必须遵守一些规则 |
[35:20] | And one of them is I’m stuck with whatever you tell me. | 其中一条就是 你说的一切都会限制我 |
[35:23] | And I can’t argue something I know to be a lie. | 我不能用我明知是谎言的论点进行辩护 |
[35:25] | So sometimes, the less I know, | 所以有时候 我知道得越少 |
[35:28] | the more free I can be with our defense. | 发挥空间就越大 |
[35:30] | Now, you follow any of that? | 你听明白了吗 |
[35:33] | Yeah. All of it. | 完全明白 |
[35:36] | They have a verdict. | 判决结果出来了 |
[35:43] | -Thirty-six minutes. -I can tell time. | -36分钟 -我会认表 |
[35:57] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[36:03] | Members of the jury, have you reached a verdict? | 陪审团成员形成一致的判决了吗 |
[36:05] | We have. | 是的 |
[36:07] | On the matter of Commonwealth v. Steven Frenauld | 就马萨诸塞州诉Steven Frenauld一案 |
[36:11] | on the charge of first-degree armed robbery | 对于一级持械抢劫罪的指控 |
[36:14] | we find the defendant | 我们判决被告 |
[36:15] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[36:19] | All right, Steven. You’re a free bird. | 好了 Steven 你自由了 |
[36:21] | Eat right and exercise. | 多吃多动 |
[36:23] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[36:24] | The defendant will see probation. | 被告办理手续之后 |
[36:27] | Then he will be released forthwith. | 即刻释放 |
[36:29] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[36:33] | Small bills only. | 我只要零钱 |
[36:36] | Buy yourself a new tie. | 给自己买条新领带吧 |
[36:40] | Oh, Mr. Young? | Young先生 |
[36:43] | I’m free no matter what now, right? | 无论如何我现在都自由了吧 |
[36:45] | Correct. | 是的 |
[36:45] | So no matter what they say, | 所以不管他们说什么 |
[36:47] | they can’t retry me or nothing? | 他们都不能重新起诉我 |
[36:49] | Also correct. Double jeopardy. | 对 双重危险原则 |
[36:51] | But I wouldn’t be holding any press conferences. | 不过我不建议开记者招待会 |
[36:54] | No, man. | 不用 |
[36:56] | I only want to say this to you. | 我只是想跟你说 |
[37:00] | I didn’t do it. | 不是我干的 |
[37:02] | Man, I didn’t stick that guy up. | 我没抢劫他 |
[37:05] | I was just out taking a walk. | 我只是在散步 |
[37:08] | So | 所以 |
[37:09] | thanks for believing in me. | 谢谢你的信任 |
[37:17] | What’d he say? | 他说什么 |
[37:19] | You know. | 没什么 |
[37:23] | Just thanking me. | 就是谢谢我 |
[37:34] | Change venue to where? | 你们想把审判地点改到哪儿 |
[37:36] | Charlestown, Your Honor. | 查尔斯顿 法官阁下 |
[37:38] | You could still keep jurisdiction, if you want. | 如果您愿意的话 可以保留审判权 |
[37:40] | You think there might be less | 你们觉得在查尔斯顿 |
[37:42] | media attention in Charlestown? | 媒体关注度比较低吗 |
[37:43] | Could it be possible that you | 或者也可能你们 |
[37:45] | want a Charlestown jury, counsel? | 想要一个查尔斯顿的陪审团 律师 |
[37:46] | I’m just looking for a fair trial, Your Honor. | 我只是在寻求公正的审判 法官阁下 |
[37:49] | Yes. Or you might be looking for a jury | 是啊 说不定你想找个陪审团 |
[37:51] | to come back and pronounce your client mayor. | 选你们的当事人去当市长呢 |
[37:55] | Motion to change venue is denied. | 本庭驳回变更审判地的请求 |
[37:58] | Gerald Braun will stand trial here. | Gerald Braun将在此地受审 |
[38:03] | I postponed it, that’s all. | 我延个期而已 |
[38:06] | So now what happens? | 那现在怎么办 |
[38:07] | You know, the usual. | 不怎么办 |
[38:10] | You know, I’ll call him at home, during the day, | 我会给他家打电话 白天 |
[38:13] | when I know he’s at work. | 他肯定上班 |
[38:14] | I’ll leave him a few polite messages on his machine. | 在他的答录机上留几条礼貌的留言 |
[38:17] | He’ll eventually get the message. | 他最终会明白我的意思的 |
[38:19] | And then, I don’t know, | 然后 也许吧 |
[38:21] | I’ll meet up with him sometime around never. | 我可以永远不用见他了 |
[38:24] | -You got it all figured out? -Yeah. | -你都计划好了是吧 -对喽 |
[38:26] | I know how it works. Trust me on this one. | 我知道怎么应付这些 相信我 |
[38:29] | Ellenor, you had no right to do that. | Ellenor 你没有权利这么做 |
[38:34] | Right? I need a right? | 权利 我这么做还需要权利吗 |
[38:37] | For the kind of treatment you expect from… | 你希望别人怎么对待… |
[38:39] | It wasn’t there, Rebecca, the chemistry. | 我就是对他不来电 |
[38:41] | It’s got nothing to do with rights. | 这跟权利没有关系 |
[38:42] | But you rejected him because of his looks. | 但是你拒绝他只是因为他长得不好看 |
[38:45] | Yeah, and? | 是啊 所以呢 |
[38:47] | And? And you can live with that? | 所以 你不觉得过意不去吗 |
[38:52] | Can I live with it? | 过意不去 |
[38:53] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[38:56] | I’ve been living with it my entire adulthood. | 从我成人起别人一直是这么对待我的 |
[38:59] | I’ll survive. And, I’m sure, so will George. | 我都挺过来了 George也行 |
[39:03] | Could’ve at least been honest with him. | 你至少可以对他坦诚一点 |
[39:06] | Playing that stupid game? I mean, come on. | 这么拐弯抹角的 搞什么啊 |
[39:09] | Let me explain something to you, Rebecca. | 我来跟你解释一下 Rebecca |
[39:12] | You’re grateful for the game. | 你会感激别人的拐弯抹角 |
[39:15] | You appreciate some excuse | 你会感谢这些借口 |
[39:17] | like house guests or | 家里有客人或者 |
[39:18] | there’s just too much work piling up. | 工作太忙之类的 |
[39:22] | It’s a lot easier to take than the truth. | 这比真相容易接受得多 |
[39:25] | And it’s a lot easier to believe, even… | 也比真相容易相信得多 就算是… |
[39:39] | And as for my right, | 至于我的权利 |
[39:42] | if I have ever earned an entitlement to anything… | 如果说这世上有什么事是我有资格做的 |
[39:51] | Never mind. | 算了 |
[39:57] | First up, Jewish law. | 首先 犹太律法 |
[39:58] | Between now and next week, | 在这两周里 |
[39:59] | you are gonna make me an expert on the Talmud. | 你得把我教成一个专家 |
[40:01] | Hey, how did lunch go? | 嘿 午餐怎么样 |
[40:03] | Oh, fine. | 哦 还行 |
[40:04] | Good. | 很好 |
[40:06] | Jimmy, where were you? | Jimmy 你去哪儿了 |
[40:08] | Venue motion? | 申请变更审判地 |
[40:10] | Somehow, I thought you’d be okay without me. | 我觉得没我你也能做得很好 |
[40:15] | A minute, please, now. | 能谈谈吗 马上 |
[40:26] | I want and need your help on this case. | 我确实需要你的帮助 |
[40:28] | But make no mistake, | 但你要搞清楚 |
[40:30] | you are not a good trial attorney. | 你不是一个好的出庭律师 |
[40:32] | I’m sorry to be brutal, Jimmy, | 抱歉说得这么直白 Jimmy |
[40:33] | but this is a homicide case. | 但是这是个谋杀案 |
[40:36] | For you even to ask for it | 你提出那样的要求 |
[40:37] | is selfish and totally | 本身就是自私的 |
[40:38] | unfair to the client. | 而且是对当事人不负责任 |
[40:40] | I consider you an asset to this firm. | 你是事务所的宝贵财富 |
[40:43] | But for now, your job is primarily motion practice | 但是现在你的工作主要是审前动议 |
[40:45] | and trench work. | 和基础工作 |
[40:47] | Let’s not have any illusions. | 不要抱有不切实际的幻想 |
[40:50] | Now come on, we have to meet our client. | 走吧 我们要去跟当事人谈谈 |
[41:18] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[41:20] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[41:21] | I’m buying. Came into some cash. | 我请客 发了笔小财 |
[41:23] | Another one? | 再来一杯 |
[41:24] | Yeah, I heard. | 是啊 我听说了 |
[41:28] | Usually, when you win, you come back with a strut. | 以前你每次打赢回来都趾高气扬的 |
[41:35] | My client did not commit the crime | 我的当事人其实 |
[41:38] | with which he was charged | 是无辜的 |
[41:40] | and it never even dawned on me that he was anything | 可我完全没想过 只是一心认为 |
[41:42] | but guilty. | 他有罪 |
[41:46] | Well, they almost always are guilty. | 他们大多数都是有罪的 |
[41:48] | That’s not the point. | 这不是重点 |
[41:50] | The point is the one you were trying to make yesterday. | 重点是你昨天说的话 |
[42:00] | I’m convicting them | 还没见法官 |
[42:01] | before they even get to the judge, | 我就已经在心里给他们定了罪 |
[42:03] | and I’m the defense lawyer. | 我还是辩护律师呢 |
[42:07] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[42:10] | Well, you got an acquittal. | 但你让他无罪释放了 |
[42:14] | Yup. | 是啊 |
[42:17] | Probably why I feel so good. | 所以我现在这么开心 |
[42:23] | To the winners? | 为胜利者干杯 |
[42:27] | Am I the only one that sees the utter perversity of this? | 只有我一个人觉得这事太荒谬了吗 |
[42:32] | Ronald Martin commits a murder, | Ronald Martin犯了谋杀罪 |
[42:33] | they assign a junior varsity DA. | 他们安排了一个菜鸟检察官 |
[42:35] | For me, they bring in the heavyweight. | 一到我的案子上就请出牛人来了 |
[42:37] | Pam Borge is not junior varsity. | Pam Borge可不是菜鸟 |
[42:39] | But they’re pushing harder on this | 但是他们对这个案子的确 |
[42:41] | than they did on Ronald Martin. | 比对Ronald Martin案用心得多 |
[42:42] | That’s because you went on TV, Danny, | 那是因为你上了电视 Danny |
[42:44] | and you embarrassed them. | 你公开让他们难堪 |
[42:45] | They’re making an example because of you. | 他们如此兴师动众都是因为你 |
[42:47] | I was trying to protect him! | 我只是想保护他 |
[42:49] | Well, you didn’t protect him! | 你没保护到他 |
[42:50] | If you hadn’t shot off your big mouth, | 如果不是你的大嘴巴 |
[42:52] | we’d be getting manslaughter right now. | 我们早就按非蓄谋杀人结案了 |
[42:55] | It’s still not too late to switch to insanity. | 现在改精神失常辩护还不晚 |
[42:57] | No. | 不改 |
[42:58] | It’s not too late to hire a new lawyer, either. | 现在换个辩护律师也还不晚 |
[43:00] | That was the sanest moment of my life. | 那是我这辈子精神最正常的一刻 |
[43:02] | I’ll get right on that stand and say so. | 我在证人席上也会这么说的 |
[43:04] | Say it like that | 如果你敢那么说 |
[43:05] | and wave bye-bye to your wife and world. | 你就和你老婆和整个世界说拜拜吧 |
[43:08] | Who the hell’s side are you on, here? | 你他妈到底是哪边的 |
[43:09] | Listen to me, both of you! | 你们两个都给我听着 |
[43:11] | The whole world may be cheering. | 全世界可能都在叫好 |
[43:13] | Publishers may be bidding to tell your story. | 出版商可能正在抢着给你出书 |
[43:16] | All I care about is | 但是我唯一在意的 |
[43:17] | what 12 people in a box are gonna think. | 就是陪审席上那十二个人会怎么想 |
[43:19] | This DA isn’t good. | 这个检察官不仅是厉害而已 |
[43:20] | He is great! | 他是绝顶高手 |
[43:22] | He has never lost a murder trial! | 他从来没打输过一场谋杀官司 |
[43:26] | And if he can convince those jurors to ignore | 如果他能说服陪审员们 |
[43:28] | the cheering and the sympathy and concentrate on the law, | 无视外界的同情而专注于法律本身 |
[43:30] | like they should be doing, | 正如他们本来该做的那样 |
[43:31] | you both go away. | 你们俩就全完蛋 |
[43:34] | Because you committed premeditated murder | 因为你犯下了有预谋的谋杀 |
[43:36] | and you were an accessory. | 而你是帮凶 |
[43:40] | I’m on your side, | 我是站在你这边的 |
[43:42] | but I am telling you, | 但是我要告诉你 |
[43:43] | we are in trouble. | 我们麻烦大了 |
[43:56] | Next, on The Practice: | 《律师本色》下集预告 |
[44:00] | Let me tell you about Silverman. | 我来给你讲讲Silverman |
[44:02] | He stays still, | 他动作很慢 |
[44:03] | almost motionless sometimes. | 有时候几乎静止不动 |
[44:05] | He’ll slowly move towards you. | 慢慢地向你靠近 |
[44:06] | He won’t shout or thump his chest. | 他不会大声质问或者拍胸脯 |
[44:08] | He just moves in very slowly, | 只是非常缓慢地走过来 |
[44:11] | trying to intimidate you. | 试图吓唬你 |
[44:12] | Last chance. | 最后一次机会 |
[44:13] | We’ll still take manslaughter. | 非蓄谋故意杀人 |
[44:15] | He could walk. | 他可能无罪释放 |
[44:17] | I think not. | 我认为不会 |
[44:18] | Why not just argue | 我们为什么不以 |
[44:19] | temporary insanity? | “暂时精神失常”抗辩呢 |
[44:20] | -The jury… -No! | -陪审团 -不行 |
[44:21] | -They’ll let you go. – I wasn’t insane. | -他们会判无罪 -我没有精神失常 |
[44:23] | I won’t say that I was, damn it. | 我不会说我精神失常 该死的 |
[44:25] | Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth, | 你是否愿发誓陈述事实 全部的事实 |
[44:28] | and nothing but the truth? So help you, God? | 并且只陈述事实 请求上帝保佑 |
[44:30] | So help me God. | 我发誓 愿上帝保佑我 |