时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Reckless endangerment. Suspend time. Let’s go home. | 危害他人安全罪 缓刑 我们可以结案了 |
[00:03] | Funny. | 笑话 |
[00:04] | – Excuse me? – I said “Funny”. | -什么 -我说“笑话” |
[00:05] | – Come back with something then. – I did come back. | -那你开个条件吧 -我说过了 |
[00:07] | – With “Funny”? – Funny. | -你说的是“搞笑” -搞笑 |
[00:08] | -Helen -Bobby – Helen – Bobby | |
[00:09] | This man is not just a respected doctor. | 这个人不仅是一位可尊敬的医生 |
[00:11] | He’s beloved in the medical community. | 他在医学界深受爱戴 |
[00:12] | Which makes his crime more offensive. | 所以他的罪行更加不可原谅 |
[00:14] | If he’s a role model, | 由于他的模范形象 |
[00:15] | I have to worry about the example he sets as well as the crime, | 我更担心由此带来的示范效应 而不光是罪行本身 |
[00:18] | which is murder, by the way. | 还是谋杀罪 |
[00:19] | You’re never gonna get a murder conviction on this. | 这案子不可能判谋杀罪的 |
[00:21] | The Supreme Court even considered legalizing doctor-assisted suicides. | 最高法院甚至考虑将医生协助自杀合法化 |
[00:24] | Not for long. 9-zip. | 他们不会那么干的 |
[00:25] | You’re in the ladies’ room, by the way. | 顺便说句 你在女卫生间 |
[00:27] | I’ll win this. | 我会赢的 |
[00:28] | -Bobby -Helen – Bobby – Helen | |
[00:29] | It would be inappropriate to hike up my skirt and bend over. | 如果我现在掀开裙子弯下腰会不太合适 |
[00:32] | But if I did, | 但如果我真那么做 |
[00:33] | you’d see a huge bug up my… | 你会看到我的屁股都在生气 |
[00:34] | -Helen -Bobby – Helen – Bobby | |
[00:39] | What your guy committed was murder. | 你的当事人犯的是谋杀罪 |
[00:42] | It’s “pay the piper” time. | 他是自作自受 |
[01:32] | Rebecca,pack the bag. We’re going to trial. | Rebecca 准备一下 我们要上庭 |
[01:34] | She wouldn’t take the plea? | 她不同意和解吗 |
[01:35] | Bug up her ass. Where’s Lindsay? | 她一脑袋浆糊 Lindsay在哪 |
[01:36] | In with Mr. Malzone. | 在里面 跟Malzone先生谈话 |
[01:37] | Notify the witness. Call the client. | 通知目击证人 打电话给当事人 |
[01:38] | 1:00? I can’t believe it. | 已经一点钟了 我靠 |
[01:39] | She turned down manslaughter? | 她拒绝接受非蓄谋杀人 |
[01:43] | I can’t go to jail. | 我不能坐牢 |
[01:44] | My wife don’t work. I got grandkids. | 我妻子没有工作 我还有孙子 |
[01:46] | I can’t go to jail. | 我不能坐牢 |
[01:47] | Mr. Malzone, if we don’t take the deal and we lose, | Malzone先生 如果我们不和解 |
[01:49] | which we definitely will. | 我们肯定会输 |
[01:51] | You’re gonna go away for a lot longer. | 那样你的刑期还会长得多 |
[01:52] | I don’t understand. He hasn’t hurt anybody. | 我不懂 他又没伤害任何人 |
[01:54] | Why do they wanna put him jail? | 为什么他们要让他进监狱 |
[01:56] | They don’t really. | 这不是他们的本意 |
[01:57] | They are going after some of the higher-ups, | 他们是想抓大头子 |
[01:58] | and they want Carl to help them. | 所以迫使Carl帮他们 |
[02:01] | Lindsay Lindsay | |
[02:02] | My husband never hurt anybody. | 我丈夫从来没有伤害过任何人 |
[02:03] | Unfortunately, they don’t care about that. | 不幸的是 他们才不管这些 |
[02:05] | I got grandkids. | 我还有孙子 |
[02:07] | Your friend Helen, how well do you know her? | 你的朋友Helen 你对她有多了解 |
[02:09] | Why? | 怎么了 |
[02:09] | Why? Because she’s taking a hard time line on Dr. Richards. | 怎么了 她要把Richards医生往死里整 |
[02:11] | Any other D.A. would plead this out, | 随便哪个检察官都会同意和解 |
[02:13] | but she’s pressing for at least murder two. | 可是她却强硬坚持至少二级谋杀 |
[02:15] | She’s a conservative D.A. pretty much, | 她是个保守派的检察官 可以这么说 |
[02:16] | but I don’t know. | 不过我也不了解 |
[02:17] | Maybe she’s mad at you over losing the last one. | 也许是因为输了上次那个案子对你怀恨在心 |
[02:19] | Yeah, that’s what I’m afraid of. | 这正是我所担心的 |
[02:20] | Anyway, I gotta steal Ellenor. | 对了 我还得叫上Ellenor |
[02:22] | Okay. | 没问题 |
[02:23] | Oh, I can jump in. My desk is clear. | 噢 我可以加入 我手上没什么案子 |
[02:25] | Yeah, thanks, Jimmy, | 嗯 谢谢你 Jimmy |
[02:26] | but Ellenor’s more up to speed on this. | 但Ellenor更适合做这个案子 |
[02:28] | Eugene, how’d you like to do the Malzone case with me? | Eugene 跟我一起做Malzone的案子怎么样 |
[02:30] | The bookie? | 那个赌注经纪人 |
[02:31] | We lost the entrapment hearing. | 关于诱捕的听证我们已经输了 |
[02:33] | Best we can chip it down to is 18 months, | 我们能争取到的最好结果是18个月 |
[02:35] | unless he agrees to turn state. | 除非他愿意作控方的证人 |
[02:36] | I can jump in. | 我可以做 |
[02:37] | This is more Eugene. | Eugene更适合这个 |
[02:39] | Ellenor and I were thinking “United State of America” | Ellenor和我在考虑以“美国精神”来辩护 |
[02:41] | For a two-bit bookie? | 对于他这个跑腿的赌注经纪人 |
[02:42] | It’s all we got. | 这是我们唯一的理由了 |
[02:43] | Come on. I’ll cover your child molester. | 来吧 我帮你打那个娈童案 |
[02:44] | Oh, he jumped bail. | 噢 他弃保潜逃了 |
[02:45] | Don’t you start tomorrow? | 你不是明天就开始庭审了吗 |
[02:46] | Facts are simple. Completely guilty. | 案件事实很简单 肯定是有罪 |
[02:47] | We have absolutely no defense whatsoever. | 我们根本没得辩 |
[02:49] | It’s right up your alley. | 正是你的拿手好戏 |
[02:51] | Meaning? | 什么意思 |
[02:52] | Come on, Eugene. For your country? | 拜托 Eugene 为了你的国家 |
[02:56] | And I repeated that I thought the dosage would be fatal. | 我又说了一遍 我认为那样的剂量是致命的 |
[03:01] | What did the defendant say then, Ms.Mackenzie? | 那被告说了什么呢 Mackenzie小姐 |
[03:04] | He said,”Nurse, when I give you an instruction, | 他说 护士小姐 我给你指令 |
[03:06] | it’s not your function to question it.” | 不是让你来质疑的 |
[03:09] | What happened then? | 接下来呢 |
[03:10] | Well, I did question it, and I refused to do it. | 嗯 我的确质疑他的指令 而且我拒绝执行 |
[03:13] | I don’t kill my paitents. | 我不会杀死我的病人 |
[03:14] | Objection. | 反对 |
[03:16] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[03:17] | What happened next? | 接下来呢 |
[03:19] | He stepped in | 他走进去 |
[03:20] | and he turned up the morphine drip himself 2000 milligrams. | 自己把吗啡滴液剂量加大到2000毫克 |
[03:25] | Three hours later, she was dead. | 三个小时之后 她死了 |
[03:28] | Did Dr.Richards say anything when he turned up the drip? | Richards医生加大剂量时有说过什么吗 |
[03:32] | He said. “she’s suffered enough, and it’s time for God to take her.” | 他说 她受够折磨了 上帝是时候来接她了 |
[03:38] | Thank you, Ms. Mackenzie. | 谢谢你 Mackenzie小姐 |
[03:42] | Mr. Donnell. | Donnell先生 |
[03:44] | The patient suffered from ovarian cancer, isn’t that right, Ms.Mackenzie? | 病人深受卵巢癌的折磨 是吗 Mackenzie小姐 |
[03:47] | It was morphine that killed her, not cancer. | 杀死她的是吗啡 不是癌症 |
[03:49] | Ma’am, I think we all understand that you are taking a position in this. | 女士 我知道你对这件事有自己的看法 |
[03:53] | What I would like is for you to answer my questions | 但是我希望你在回答问题的时候 |
[03:55] | without trying to be an advocate. | 不要加入主观意见 |
[03:57] | Is that fair? | 可以吗 |
[03:57] | – yes – fine | -可以 -好 |
[03:58] | Except one thing. I know what you lawyers do. | 除了一点 我知道你们律师是干什么的 |
[04:01] | You’re gonna try to beat up on me, | 你想痛斥我 |
[04:02] | and I’m telling you right now I won’t take it. | 但是我告诉你 我不会让你得逞的 |
[04:04] | So proceed against me at your own risk. | 所以请便吧 看谁厉害 |
[04:07] | Ms.Mackenzie, I have a bladder the size of a small cashew. | Mackenzie小姐 我的膀胱只有黄豆那么大 |
[04:12] | Let’s cut down the nonsense, Just answer his questions. | 所以少说废话 直接回答他的问题 |
[04:18] | Jane Crewson’s cancer was terminal, wasn’t it? | Jane Crewson的癌症已经到晚期了 是吗 |
[04:21] | Yes. | 没错 |
[04:22] | And she was in considerable pain. That’s true too, isn’t it? | 而且她正遭受着极大的痛苦 是这样吗 |
[04:26] | We don’t go around killing everyone in pain,counsel. | 我们不能因为人们遭受痛苦就把他杀了 律师 |
[04:29] | There was a man in the next room screaming over a kidney stone. | 她隔壁的病房就有个男子因为肾结石疼得直叫唤 |
[04:32] | Should we put him out of his misery? | 我们应该把他也解脱了吗 |
[04:33] | Ma’am, that’s Jane Crewson’s family sitting right there. | 女士 Jane Crewson的家人就坐在那里 |
[04:36] | That’s her husband, her son and her two daughters. | 那是她丈夫 她儿子 和她的两个女儿 |
[04:39] | Are you telling them that you equate her cancer with a kidney stone? | 你要告诉他们 你把她的癌症跟肾结石相提并论吗 |
[04:42] | I didn’t say that. | 我没这么说 |
[04:43] | Yeah, you did. That’s exactly what you just did. | 不 你说了 你刚刚正是这么说的 |
[04:47] | And if that’s the sensitivity you lend to your patients. | 如果这就是你施舍给病人的关怀 |
[04:49] | Then let’s all add to this tragedy that on top of cancer. | 那么Crewson夫人的悲剧除了癌症之外 |
[04:52] | Mrs. Crewson had a nurse with zero compassion! | 她还摊上个毫无同情心的护士 |
[04:55] | Objection! | 反对 |
[04:56] | – This man did see her pain! – Objection! | -这位先生看到了她的痛苦 -反对 |
[04:59] | – This man did see the difference between cancer – Objection! | 这位先生知道癌症 -反对 |
[05:02] | and a kidney stone. | 不是肾结石 |
[05:03] | Objection! | 反对 |
[05:04] | All right, quiet! | 好了 肃静 |
[05:06] | Ms.Mackenzie, if you wanna fight the dog, | Mackenzie小姐 如果你硬要逞强和他斗嘴 |
[05:09] | I have no choice but to unleash him. | 我只能由他灭了你 |
[05:12] | I suggest you answer the questions, and that’s it. | 我建议你只回答问题就好 |
[05:18] | Fine. | 好 |
[05:20] | Jane Crewson… wanted…to die, did she not.. | Jane Crewson 想结束生命 不是吗 |
[05:27] | She suffered from dementia. | 她患有痴呆症 |
[05:28] | Now hold on. | 慢着 |
[05:29] | Do you feel that you really answered the question he just asked? | 你觉得你是在回答他刚刚提出的问题吗 |
[05:34] | No,Your Honor. You hold on. | 不 法官阁下 你慢着 |
[05:36] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 |
[05:37] | The question assumed Jane Crewson’s capacity | 辩方的提问假设了Jane Crewson有行为能力 |
[05:40] | to make a competent decision. | 可以自主作出决定 |
[05:41] | The witness correctly took issue with that assumption. | 证人恰当地对这个假设提出了异议 |
[05:46] | Ms. Gamble, take your seat. | Gamble小姐 坐下 |
[05:48] | Mr. Donnell, take yours. | Donnell先生 你也坐下 |
[05:50] | I’m not finished yet. | 我还没问完 |
[05:51] | Indulge me. | 听我的吧 |
[05:55] | Let me save us all a lot of time. | 我们用不着再浪费时间了 |
[05:57] | The prosecution put this delightful personality up here | 检方让这位讨人喜欢的证人作证 |
[06:01] | to establish that the victim died as a result of | 是为了证明 被害人死亡的原因 |
[06:04] | the defendant turning up the morphine drip. | 在于被告加大了吗啡剂量 |
[06:07] | The defense doesn’t dispute any of this. | 辩方对此没有任何异议 |
[06:10] | There really was no point in Nurse Mackenzie even testifying | 所以Mackenzie护士除了谴责之外 |
[06:14] | other than to get in her condemnation. | 她的作证完全没有意义 |
[06:17] | To counter that condemnation, | 为了对抗此谴责 |
[06:20] | the defense wants to establish that the victim was terminal, | 辩方提出被害人处于癌症晚期 |
[06:25] | in severe pain | 遭受着巨大的痛苦 |
[06:27] | and that her family sitting there requested that she be allowed to die. | 而且她的家人也要求让她死去 |
[06:34] | The prosecution doesn’t dispute any of that. | 检方对此同样没有任何异议 |
[06:37] | You see, the facts being offered by this witness are a given. | 你们看 这位证人陈述的内容是双方都认可的 |
[06:42] | This is all about presentation. | 我们所做的只是“展示” |
[06:48] | I just save you a full day. | 我为你们节省了一整天时间 |
[06:51] | The problem is she got to make her presentation. | 问题在于 她的证词已经陈述完了 |
[06:53] | I didn’t get to make mine. | 我却没机会陈述我的意见 |
[06:54] | As if I care. | 说得我很在乎似的 |
[06:55] | I don’t know what you’re complaining about. | 我不明白你有什么可抱怨的 |
[06:57] | I’m the one that got hurt. | 受损害的是我 |
[06:58] | – What? – How? | -什么 -怎么受损害 |
[07:00] | You were hostile to my chief witness. | 你对我的主要证人充满敌意 |
[07:02] | You basically discredited her, | 你基本上摧毁了她的信誉 |
[07:03] | – She was the hostile one. – Give me a break. | -充满敌意的是她 -让我消停一会 |
[07:05] | Excuse me. Could I speak with the judge | 不好意思 可以让我跟法官说话吗 |
[07:06] | – Your witness got to tell her story. – Maybe dismiss all witness | -你的证人已经完成作证了 -不如把所有的证人都打发走 |
[07:08] | – I didn’t get my cross. – and make the trial about you. | -我却没机会对她质询 -听你一个人说好了 |
[07:10] | Hey. You see what I’m talking about? | 嘿 你们听明白我的话没有 |
[07:13] | Here are my rules. | 我的要求是 |
[07:15] | We’re gonna try this case with no crap. | 专心审案 不许废话 |
[07:18] | We’re gonna march into that room, | 我们回到法庭 |
[07:20] | and we’re gonna try something new. | 换个方式 |
[07:22] | We’re going to limit this case…to this case. | 我们让这个案子 仅限于这个案子 |
[07:32] | He’s a blowhard. | 他是个唠叨鬼 |
[07:33] | Big one. | 唠叨得要死 |
[07:33] | Look, how could you not plead this? | 你怎么就不能和解呢 |
[07:35] | Because I can’t. | 因为我不能 |
[07:36] | So you’d rather lose? | 那你情愿输吗 |
[07:38] | Yep. | 没错 |
[07:39] | Fine. You will. | 那好 你会输的 |
[07:40] | – Fine. – Fine | -很好 -很好 |
[07:41] | Fine. | 你们都好 |
[07:43] | You’re prosecuting? | 是你在负责检控 |
[07:44] | Lucky me. | 我真幸运 |
[07:45] | Chris and I used to date. | Chris和我约过会 |
[07:46] | Then lucky us. That’s grounds for dismissal. | 那幸运的是我们 可以要求你回避 |
[07:49] | Right | 没错 |
[07:50] | Chris, come on. He’s a small-time bookie. | Chiris 算了 他只是个小人物 |
[07:52] | And if he gives up the big-time bookie, he goes completely free. | 只要他肯指证大人物 他就完全自由了 |
[07:54] | You know that’s not an option for him. | 你知道那是不可能的 |
[07:56] | Mr.Kelton, this isn’t the guy you want. | Kelton先生 他不是你们想抓的人 |
[07:58] | He can’t give you the guy you want. | 他也没法帮你们抓到你们想要的人 |
[08:00] | And that sticks us all between a rock and a hard place | 所以现在我们是进退两难 |
[08:02] | with a case none of us want to try. | 只有一个大家都不想做的案子 |
[08:06] | Kick this one and i will owe you. | 把案子撤了 算我欠你的 |
[08:08] | You’ll owe me? | 你欠我 |
[08:09] | Yes. | 没错 |
[08:11] | Owe me what? | 欠我什么 |
[08:12] | A favor | 一份人情 |
[08:13] | That’s not the way I operate, Mr. Young, | 这不是我的风格 Young先生 |
[08:16] | Mmm. One day you will. | 嗯 迟早会是 |
[08:20] | Think I’ll try the case. | 我要继续推进这个案子 |
[08:27] | Oh, that didn’t work, Eugene. | 噢 没用的 Eugene |
[08:28] | I didn’t ask you to intimidate him. | 我没让你威胁他 |
[08:30] | I didn’t, obviously. | 我没有 明摆着 |
[08:36] | You think he’s ever gonna give me a case? | 你觉得他还会给我个案子吗 |
[08:39] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[08:40] | Bobby. I just sit around here counting paper clips. | Bobby 我只能坐在这数回形针 |
[08:45] | I-It’s not like we ain’t busy, Rebacca. | 我…我们不是不忙 Rebacca |
[08:47] | We got about a hundred cases. | 我们有上百个案件 |
[08:48] | I mean, that’s like 15 per lawyer. | 就是说 差不多每个律师有15个 |
[08:51] | And how many per paper clip? | 那每个回形针有多少个呢 |
[08:55] | Why won’t he give me a case? | 他为什么就不给我个案子呢 |
[08:57] | Jimmy, Bobby knows you’re a good lawyer. | Jimmy Bobby知道你是个优秀的律师 |
[08:59] | Right. Why won’t he give me a case? | 没错 那他为什么不给我案子呢 |
[09:02] | Why don’t you think about it? | 你自己觉得呢 |
[09:08] | She didn’t want her body and her mind to go on disintegrating. | 她不愿意自己的身体和精神一天天继续衰竭 |
[09:13] | She didn’t want her children to see. | 她不希望让自己的孩子看到 |
[09:14] | This was a very vibrant woman, a proud- | 她曾经是个充满活力的女人 充满自信… |
[09:19] | Was it her decision to die? | 是她自己决定结束生命的吗 |
[09:22] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:24] | And as her legal guardian, you concurred? | 作为她的法定监护人 你同意了 |
[09:29] | She was in pain. There was no quality to her life anymore. | 她处于痛苦之中 她已经谈不上生活了 |
[09:33] | She was slipping in and out of comas. | 她一直处于间歇性昏迷状态 |
[09:35] | It was too hard on her. It was too hard on my children. | 对她来说无法承受 我的孩子们也无法承受 |
[09:41] | And when you approached Dr.Richard a-about… | 当你跟Richard医生商量那个… |
[09:45] | What-what did he tell you? | 他怎么说 |
[09:48] | He said that, legally speaking—that…he couldn’t euthanize her… | 他说 法律上 他不能让她安乐死 |
[09:54] | that all he was permitted to do was increase her pain medication. | 他所能做的只有增加她的止痛药剂量 |
[09:57] | But that the likely consequence of that would be that she would die. | 但后果是她可能会死去 |
[10:02] | And what did you say to that, sir? Sir? | 那你怎么回答的 先生 先生 |
[10:10] | I said. “Do it”. It was a blessing. | 我说 照你说的做吧 这是个善举 |
[10:19] | She did suffer from dementia, right? | 她的确患有痴呆症 是吗 |
[10:22] | Off and on. | 间歇性的 |
[10:22] | Some days she’d be remarkably coherent. She wanted to die. | 有时候她非常清醒 她表示想死 |
[10:28] | Three months prior to her death, | 她死之前三个月 |
[10:30] | you petitioned the court for guardianship, right? | 你向法院提交了监护申请 是吗 |
[10:33] | Yes | 是的 |
[10:34] | You cited as a reason she was no longer mentally competent | 你的理由是 她的精神状态使她已经不能 |
[10:38] | to make decisions in her life. | 自主做出决定 |
[10:39] | She was of clear mind in her wish to die. | 在想死这一点上 她的心智是清楚的 |
[10:42] | I was married to her for 22 years. I would know. I would know. | 我跟她结婚22年了 我知道 我知道 |
[10:48] | The court did find her mentally incompetent,isn’t that correct, sir? | 法院已经确认她无行为能力 不是吗 先生 |
[10:53] | That was a legal ruling. | 那只是个法律裁决 |
[10:54] | Yes. And legally, since she was in fact judged incompetent. | 没错 既然她被确认为无行为能力 |
[10:59] | This had to be your decision to let her die. Isn’t that right, sir? | 那法律上 让她死去只能由你来决定 对吗 先生 |
[11:02] | Yes. | 没错 |
[11:04] | You spoke of your pain, | 你谈及你的痛苦 |
[11:05] | having to watch your wife deteriorate this way. | 你看着你妻子的病情逐渐恶化 |
[11:09] | Would it be fair to say this pain was immense for you? | 这样的痛苦对你来说不堪承受 可以这样说吗 |
[11:13] | It would be fair. | 是这样的 |
[11:14] | Have you been through anything more painful? | 你有经历过比这更痛苦的事吗 |
[11:17] | No. | 没有 |
[11:18] | I hate to ask this, sir, | 我讨厌这么问 但是先生 |
[11:21] | but can we really be sure you were of sound mind through all this? | 你真的确定 在做出那些决定的时候是心智清楚的吗 |
[11:36] | Let’s make it quick. I’m a busy man. | 动作快点 我忙着呢 |
[11:41] | Twenty times on the Patriots | 爱国者 1赔20 |
[11:43] | times two on the Steelers, Cowboys and Dolphins each. | 钢铁人 牛仔队和海豚队都是1赔2 |
[11:47] | 10 times on the Raiders. | 突击者 1赔10 |
[11:53] | Detective, does that videotape accurately reflect | 警官 这份录像带是否如实地反映了 |
[11:55] | the events of December 19,1996? | 1996年12月19日的事 |
[11:59] | It does | 是的 |
[12:00] | You placed bets with Mr. Malzone on national league football games? | 你向Malzone先生下注全美橄榄球联赛 是吗 |
[12:04] | I did. | 没错 |
[12:06] | yours. | 到你了 |
[12:09] | Did Mr.Malzone solicit you in any way to make these wagers | 是Malzone先生招揽你下注 |
[12:12] | or did you go to him? | 还是你自己去找他下注的 |
[12:14] | I went to him. | 是我去找他的 |
[12:15] | Part of a big sting | 这只是一小步 |
[12:16] | to get big fish in a big organized gaming mob,wasn’t that it? | 你们的目标是某个大赌博集团的大头目 对吧 |
[12:20] | Basically. | 差不多 |
[12:20] | And is this the fish you were looking to get, | 被告正是你们要抓的人吗 |
[12:22] | or were you looking to trade up? | 还是想利用他去抓大家伙 |
[12:26] | The latter. | 后者 |
[12:29] | There’s no point putting the daughter up. | 让女儿出庭作证没有任何意义 |
[12:31] | You don’t know what I’ll ask | 你又不知道我要问什么 |
[12:32] | I know you’ll be putting the law on trial. | 我知道你是想质疑有关的法律 |
[12:34] | Her testimony will go to the facts of this case | 她的证词涉及与案件有关的事实 |
[12:36] | It’ll be a tear jerk fest, we all know that, with nothing relevant. | 你只是想打同情牌 与案件事实完全无关 |
[12:39] | Say that to the jury. | 这话留着对陪审团说吧 |
[12:40] | “Nothing relevant” to the daughter whose mother died of cancer. | 她的母亲死于癌症 她跟这个案件完全无关 |
[12:43] | That’s exactly the type of pandering- | 这种伎俩正是… |
[12:44] | Quite now. I have a question, You ever talk? | 别吵了 我想问一句 你从来不说话吗 |
[12:50] | Do I need to? | 还用得着我说吗 |
[12:52] | Look, the witness has no relevant testimony which goes to the issue. | 这个证人的证词与案件争议焦点无关 |
[12:55] | I’d ask you to rule not from your heart but your head, | 我请求你别凭感情裁决 要用头脑分析 |
[12:57] | I even settle for your bladder. | 我甚至为你的膀胱着想 |
[12:59] | Cute. | 你真体贴 |
[13:01] | Look, she’s right. This is a reach. | 她说得没错 你只想博取同情 |
[13:04] | This is a criminal case. I should get some rope. | 这是刑事案件 我应该可以打点擦边球 |
[13:09] | Don’t hang yourself with it. | 别把自己给打死了 |
[13:12] | I won’t. | 不会的 |
[13:14] | Short leash. The daughter can testify. | 话说回来 我允许女儿出庭作证 |
[13:17] | The bladder crack cost you. | 谁让你取笑我的膀胱呢 |
[13:21] | Know what? All these murder trials we’re getting. | 知道吗 我们所有的这些谋杀案件 |
[13:24] | They started pouring in after we got Gerold Braun off. | 都是从我们打赢Gerold Braun案以后接踵而来的 |
[13:27] | That made Bobby the hot lawyer in town for getting people off. | Bobby凭借这个案子成了有名的刑事辩护律师 |
[13:31] | It all started with the Braun trial. | 这全都是从Braun案开始的 |
[13:33] | So? | 所以呢 |
[13:34] | So it was my strategy. | 那个案子的策略是我想出来的 |
[13:35] | I had the idea for jury nullification. | 是我想到的“废弃裁决” |
[13:38] | Same strategy he’s using on this doctor trial. | 现在他又把它用于这个医生的案子 |
[13:41] | So? | 所以呢 |
[13:41] | So I shouldn’t be treated like I’m some second-class lawyer. | 所以我不应该被当成个二流律师对待 |
[13:45] | You came here | 你到这里来 |
[13:45] | after getting fired from a bank for falsifying loan documents. | 是因为你伪造贷款文件 被银行解雇 |
[13:49] | 那正是为了这间事务所 | |
[13:49] | To help people here. | 为了帮助这里的人们 |
[13:51] | Last week you were arrested for picking up a hooker. | 上个星期你还因召妓而被捕 |
[13:54] | For which I was cleared. I was innocent. | 已经证明我的清白 我是无辜的 |
[13:56] | Yeah. Details. | 没错 细节上是这样 |
[13:57] | Jimmy,this is Boston. | Jimmy 这里是波士顿 |
[14:01] | Half of what you are as a lawyer is | 你的律师形象 一半在于 |
[14:02] | what the judge and other lawyers think of you. | 法官和其他律师怎么看你 |
[14:05] | Jimmy, right now, they think you’re a hack. | Jimmy 现在 他们觉得你就是个混日子的 |
[14:09] | Bobby knows you’re a good lawyer. | Booby知道你是个好律师 |
[14:12] | You have to lay low a little longer | 你还得耐心等待机会 |
[14:21] | I’d run some numbers small-time. | 我运作几种赌盘 赔率都不高 |
[14:24] | Football,boxing-I usually do good. | 橄榄球 拳击 我很在行 |
[14:28] | Mr. Malzone,let’s cut to it. | Malzone先生 直接说重点 |
[14:29] | Do you work for a larger gaming organization? | 你是否在为大型赌博集团做事 |
[14:33] | Not really. I-I-I’m kind of retired. | 不算是 我…我算退休了 |
[14:36] | They allow me to work to pick up some money. | 他们让我挣点小钱 |
[14:39] | Most of my clients are longtime friends. | 我的大多数客户都是老朋友了 |
[14:43] | So, who are the people you work for? | 那你是为哪些人做事的 |
[14:46] | I can’t tell you that | 这我不能告诉你 |
[14:49] | Why not, sir? | 为什么不能 先生 |
[14:50] | Because there’s a code of loyalty. | 因为我们的原则就是忠诚 |
[14:52] | These people have been loyal to me. | 这些人一直都对我很忠诚 |
[14:55] | I stay loyal to them. | 我也对他们保持忠诚 |
[14:57] | We are family. | 我们像家人一样 |
[15:00] | And that’s why you won’t reveal their identity, | 那就是你不肯透露他们身份的原因吗 |
[15:02] | because of loyalty? | 因为忠诚 |
[15:04] | That, and they’d kill me. | 原因之一 另一个原因是 他们会杀了我的 |
[15:08] | He’s so cute. Why can’t you kick him? | 他是个老实人 你怎么就不能放过他呢 |
[15:10] | Oh, ’cause it sends the wrong message | 噢 因为那样会给外面所有那些老实的赌注经纪人 |
[15:11] | to all the other cute bookies out there. | 传达错误的信号 |
[15:14] | You bet on football, Chris. Come on. | 得了吧 Chris 你不也赌橄榄球吗 |
[15:18] | Okay, tell you what. This is unorthodox, | 好吧 这有点不合规矩 |
[15:21] | but if you’re willing to go for it | 但如果你愿意… |
[15:24] | What? | 什么 |
[15:26] | One kiss | 一个吻 |
[15:27] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[15:28] | Yeah, for old times’ sake. | 嗯 为了旧日情怀 |
[15:29] | One kiss, a good kiss, the case melts away | 一个吻 一个深吻 案件就一笔购销 |
[15:35] | Grow up. | 成熟点吧 |
[15:36] | I’m serious. Lips and deal have to stay sealed though. | 我说真的 以吻结案 |
[15:42] | You are serious? | 你说真的 |
[15:43] | You’d actually kick this if I kisses you? | 如果我亲了你 你就放手 |
[15:49] | No. I’m not serious. | 不 我逗你的 |
[15:51] | But you considered it. I saw it in your eyes. | 但你真的在考虑 从你的眼神里看得出来 |
[15:54] | So why don’t you just kiss me for free | 所以为什么不纯粹地亲我一下 |
[15:56] | and then you don’t have to think of yourself as for sale? | 用不着觉得自己是在做交易 |
[15:59] | You just think you’re too cool, don’t you? | 你觉得自己很酷 是吧 |
[16:02] | I can’t drop the case. I’ve got marching orders. | 我不能撤销这个案子 上面给我命令了 |
[16:04] | What’s up with your office? | 你们部门是怎么回事 |
[16:06] | You’re going after a small-time numbers guy | 你们追着个小人物不放 |
[16:07] | prosecuting a doctor for turning up a morphine drip. | 还有那个医生的案子也是 |
[16:09] | That’s Gamble, not the office. | 那是Gamble做的 不是部门的意见 |
[16:11] | In fact, they suggested she pull back on that, and she refused. | 事实上 他们建议她和解 但她不肯 |
[16:15] | Really? Why? | 真的 为什么 |
[16:16] | You know her better than I do. | 你比我更了解她 |
[16:22] | Blow. | 吹蜡烛 |
[16:23] | It is my birthday. | 今天是我的生日 |
[16:24] | [All] Blow! | 吹 |
[16:26] | Oh! | 哇哦 |
[16:28] | That was four years ago? | 那是四年前 |
[16:30] | Yes, her 45th | 是的 她45岁生日 |
[16:38] | Happy birthday. I love you. | 生日快乐 我爱你 |
[16:45] | That was about a week before she died. | 这是她去世前大约一周 |
[16:49] | Julie, can you tell us a little bit about the day your mother passed away? | Julie 能跟我们说说你母亲去世那天的情形吗 |
[16:52] | Well, she knew it was probably one of her last. | 嗯 她知道那或许是最后的时光了 |
[16:55] | She wasn’t completely alert. | 她并不完全清醒 |
[16:57] | But she could recognize all of us. | 但还能认出我们所有的人 |
[17:01] | Can you talk about the last few hours? | 你能谈谈最后几个小时吗 |
[17:04] | Well, we had put up pictures, | 呃 我们把一些照片 |
[17:08] | large blown-up photographs all around the room. | 放大了的照片 摆满整个房间 |
[17:12] | Pictures of when we were little and so forth. | 我们小时候的照片之类的 |
[17:17] | The, uh- The doctor came in around noon, | 呃 医生在中午时分过来的 |
[17:22] | and we all had to, | 然后我们所有人都要… |
[17:26] | uh- He wanted to make sure that we were all sure. | 他要确认我们所有人都想清楚了 |
[17:30] | We can take a break anytime you want. | 如果你需要 我们随时可以停下来休息一会 |
[17:33] | No, I’m ok. | 不用 我没事 |
[17:37] | After he turned up the morphine, | 他加大吗啡剂量后 |
[17:40] | we knew she had about an hour left of consciousness. | 我们知道她大概还能有一个小时的意识 |
[17:45] | We all held hands. | 我们全部手握着手 |
[17:48] | We told her how much we loved her. | 我们告诉她 我们有多爱她 |
[17:50] | She told us how much she loved us. | 她告诉我们 她有多爱我们 |
[17:55] | And then she faded off into sleep. | 然后她就慢慢地沉睡了 |
[18:01] | Julie, the prosecution is trying to convict Dr. Richards of murder. | Julie 检方想以谋杀来给Richards医生定罪 |
[18:06] | Yeah, which to me is sick. | 我知道 我对此反感至极 |
[18:09] | My mother had a good death. It was peaceful. | 我妈妈走得很安稳 很平静 |
[18:13] | I mean, she couldn’ve gone out with pain and bedsores | 不然的话 她会受尽病痛和褥疮的折磨 |
[18:15] | and instead she died without hurt. | 现在 她没有痛苦地走了 |
[18:19] | She died with her family there loving her. | 她走的时候有爱她的家人陪着她 |
[18:22] | And with her knowing that, | 她也知道我们陪着她 |
[18:24] | it was a good death. | 这是个好的离开方式 |
[18:29] | And I am so grateful, and so was my mother. | 我很感激 我母亲也很感激 |
[18:43] | We put Dr. Richards up today. And that should be it. | 我们今天让Richards医生作证 然后就差不多了 |
[18:44] | Where are we on Malzone? | Malzone案怎么样了 |
[18:46] | Dead in the water. They got it on tape. Carl won’t plead. | 不太好 他们有录像 Carl又不愿认罪 |
[18:48] | Well, you’d better make him plead. | 你得说服他认罪 |
[18:50] | Jimmy, everything ok? | Jimmy 你没事吧 |
[18:53] | Sure. I’m just sitting here doing nothing. It’s my niche. | 没事 我就是坐在这里发呆 我就是干这个的 |
[18:58] | Well,maybe we could talk about it later. | 呃 晚点我跟你谈 |
[19:00] | Oh, sure. I can pencil “later” into my schedule. | 噢 没问题 我可以把“晚点”写进我工作计划 |
[19:03] | Okay, Ellie, let’s go. Make him take the plea. | 好吧 Ellie 我们走 说服他认罪 |
[19:09] | The term we use for it is “managed death”. | 我们的术语是“控制下的死亡” |
[19:12] | Does that mean you cause the death? | 意思是说你们导致死亡吗 |
[19:15] | No. It means that faced with an inevitable death, | 不是 意思是说当死亡不可避免时 |
[19:18] | managing it to relieve suffering. | 通过控制死亡来减轻痛苦 |
[19:21] | And in the case of Jane Crewson, | 具体对Jane Crewson而言 |
[19:22] | that meant turning up the morphine drip? | 意味着加大吗啡剂量 |
[19:24] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:25] | To a potentially lethal dosage? | 加到可能致命的剂量 |
[19:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:29] | And the patient consented? | 病人同意了 |
[19:31] | That’s correct. | 没错 |
[19:31] | As did her family? | 家人也同意了 |
[19:32] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:33] | Now, did you clear this decision with the hospital authorities? | 你有没有把这个决定报告给医院的管理部门 |
[19:36] | No, I did not. | 没有 |
[19:38] | Really? | 真的没有 |
[19:39] | Isn’t this kind of a big thing,hastening a patient’s death? | 加快病人的死亡不是件大事吗 |
[19:43] | Of course it is. It’s also a privacy issue. | 当然是件大事 同时也是件私事 |
[19:47] | Even so, you’d think the hospital might have something to say on this. | 即便如此 你不认为医院应该介入这一类的决定吗 |
[19:50] | Well, I hate to be blunt to the point of sounding cold | 呃 尽管听起来很冷漠 但是恕我直言 |
[19:54] | but if hospital took time out to review every decision | 如果把每一个让病人死亡的决定 |
[19:57] | that was made to let patient die, | 都交给医院来审查的话 |
[19:59] | the system would choke. | 医院系统会瘫痪的 |
[20:01] | So you mean this goes on a lot? | 那你意思是这样的事经常发生 |
[20:04] | Seventy percent of all deaths in hospitals | 医院死亡病例中的70% |
[20:06] | are due to decisions to let the patient die. | 都来自加快病人死亡的决定 |
[20:10] | Seventy percent? | 百分之七十 |
[20:11] | Most deaths aren’t that dramatic. | 大多数死亡都不是那么戏剧化的 |
[20:13] | It’s doctor and patient and family deciding it’s time. | 医生 患者和家人一起决定“是时候了” |
[20:19] | And in your medical opinion, sir, it was time for Jane Crewson? | 以你的医学意见看 Jane Crewson到时候了吗 |
[20:22] | No. The medical opinion was that all we could do | 不 医学意见是 我们所能做的 |
[20:25] | was prolong her life with various treatments, | 是以各种各样的治疗手段 延长她的生命 |
[20:28] | prolong her suffering. | 延长她的痛苦 |
[20:30] | Her personal decision, supported by her family, was that it was time. | 在家人的支持下 她个人的决定是 “是时候了” |
[20:36] | Now, given the law against euthanasia, Doctor. | 由于法律不允许安乐死 医生 |
[20:38] | Weren’t you tempted to deny their request? | 你没打算拒绝他们的要求吗 |
[20:41] | Again, the morphine drip was not meant to euthanize her. | 再说一次 吗啡滴液并不是为了使她安乐死 |
[20:44] | It was meant to relieve pain. | 而是为了缓解痛苦 |
[20:46] | But you did know that- | 但你知道… |
[20:47] | The likely result, yes. | 可能的后果 没错 |
[20:49] | But legally, I believe I stayed within bounds. | 但在法律上 我认为我没有违法 |
[20:52] | And morally, when a terminal patient in severe pain | 而在道德上 当一个将死的病人在极大的痛苦中 |
[20:57] | asks that she be allowed to die with modicum of decency. | 要求能够以稍微体面的方式死去 |
[21:02] | I listen. | 我会同意的 |
[21:03] | And I listen to Jane Crewson | 所以我同意了Jane Crew的要求 |
[21:08] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:18] | I got it down to a year. | 我把刑期减到一年 |
[21:19] | That’s pretty good,Carl. | 这已经相当不错了 Carl |
[21:21] | A year in jail, at my age? | 我这个年龄在监狱里待一年 |
[21:23] | That could be a death sentence. | 那相当于是个死刑 |
[21:25] | It won’t be a death sentence. | 不会是死刑的 |
[21:26] | What will I do? | 那我怎么办 |
[21:27] | Mrs. Malzone, we have to consider the lesser of two evils. | Malzone太太 我们只能两害相权取其轻 |
[21:30] | What do you think, Eugene? | 你觉得呢 Eugene |
[21:35] | Let’s roll the dice. | 我们赌一把 |
[21:37] | Eugene. Could I speak to you in private a second? | Eugene 我能私下跟你谈谈吗 |
[21:40] | Excuse us | 不好意思 |
[21:44] | – Hey! – Are you nuts? | -嘿 -你疯了吗 |
[21:45] | I think we got a shot. | 我觉得我们有胜算 |
[21:47] | With “United States of America”? How? | 以“美国精神”为由 怎么个胜算 |
[21:48] | It was your idea. | 那也是你的主意 |
[21:49] | Yes, because we’re desperate, | 是 因为我们别无选择 |
[21:50] | so desperate, it’s malpractice not to take the plea. | 以至于如果我们拒绝认罪 就是失职行为 |
[21:52] | I think I can win it. | 我认为我能赢 |
[21:53] | You can’t. | 你赢不了 |
[21:53] | I can. | 我能赢 |
[21:54] | You know what? This is- This- You’re all goosed over the challenge. | 这是…这… 你只知道为案件带来的挑战兴奋不已 |
[21:58] | Th-This is fun for you. You’re not thinking of him. | 你…你觉得很有乐趣 你都没有为他考虑 |
[22:00] | This about how deep a hole you think you can jump out of. | 你只想着尝试自己有多大能耐 |
[22:03] | Hey. | 听着 |
[22:03] | No, you “hey” | 不 你听着 |
[22:04] | No, you “hey”. | 不 你听着 |
[22:04] | You brought me in. You asked me to try it. | 是你找我做这个案子的 |
[22:06] | I think I can win it. | 我认为我能赢 |
[22:07] | In fact,I know I can. | 事实上 我知道我肯定会赢 |
[22:11] | Funny. I had planned to cross-examine you with | 有意思 我本来打算问你 |
[22:15] | “Hey, if we let you do it, | 嘿 如果允许你这么做 |
[22:16] | what’s to stop all the other doctors from doing it?” | 那其他医生是不是都可以这么做 |
[22:20] | But you said they’re already doing it. | 但是你说他们已经在这样做了 |
[22:23] | 70% of all hospital does. | 医院里70%的死亡病例 |
[22:27] | That’s not my statistic. | 这不是我的数据 |
[22:28] | It comes from the Journal of the American Medical Association. | 是来自美国医学协会期刊的统计 |
[22:31] | Yes, and you used that statistic to say you’re right. | 没错 你引用这个数据来证明自己是对的 |
[22:35] | Where I’d use it to say I’m right. | 我却用它来证明我是对的 |
[22:38] | This is what happens when you let doctors start killing their patients | 这就是允许医生杀死病人所带来的后果 |
[22:42] | Objection. | 反对 |
[22:43] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[22:45] | Tell me,Doctor. | 告诉我 医生 |
[22:46] | I have a shooting homicide next week. | 下个星期我有个枪击谋杀案 |
[22:48] | If the defendant correctly points out | 如果被告正确地提出 |
[22:50] | that the leading cause of death in teenage boys is gunshots. | 青少年死亡的首要原因就是枪杀 |
[22:54] | Should that excuse his pulling the trigger? | 那是否意味着他枪杀别人就是正当的 |
[22:56] | – Objection! – Objection! | -反对 -反对 |
[22:57] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[22:58] | No, I’d like to respond. | 不 我愿意回答 |
[22:59] | For you to equate what I did to a shooting homicide sickens me. | 因为你把我的所作所为等同于枪杀 这令我反胃 |
[23:03] | Well, if you are sick, | 如果你反胃的话 |
[23:04] | please don’t go to a doctor who’s quick with the morphine. | 请不要找那种喜欢轻易用吗啡的医生 |
[23:06] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:07] | Sustained. Please take your seat,Dr. Richards. | 反对有效 请你坐下 Richards医生 |
[23:12] | You seems impulsive. | 你看起来容易冲动 |
[23:13] | You make decisions on impulse? | 你做决定时也是一时冲动吗 |
[23:16] | – Objection. – Objection. | -反对 -反对 |
[23:17] | The cashew beckons. | 我的“黄豆”在提意见了 |
[23:19] | I’ll see lawyers in chambers, please. | 请双方律师到我办公室来 |
[23:23] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[23:25] | What? | 什么 |
[23:25] | Attack dog isn’t your style,Helen. | 攻击别人不是你的风格 Helen |
[23:28] | And you’ve looked ripe for a fight since we’ve started. | 而你从一开始就显得好斗 |
[23:30] | I don’t know what you’re talking about. | 我不明白你在说什么 |
[23:31] | Don’t feed me that. | 别装傻 |
[23:33] | Both of you are too loaded for bear. | 你们两个摩拳擦掌的 |
[23:35] | What am I missing? | 你们有什么秘密吗 |
[23:37] | Nothing from me. | 我没有 |
[23:38] | Nothing from me. | 我也没有 |
[23:39] | Must be me. | 那一定是我了 |
[23:42] | Or not. | 或者不是 |
[23:43] | Aside from the fact that your hostility is borderline contempt, | 即便不考虑你们的敌意差不多构成藐视法庭 |
[23:46] | it’s bad lawyering. | 至少是下作的执业风格 |
[23:48] | Tough to convince a jury of anything when they don’t like ya. | 如果陪审团不喜欢你的话 你很难说服他们 |
[23:52] | Whatever’s going on, dial it back. | 不管你们之间发生了什么 把它咽回去 |
[23:59] | Thanks to that videotape, You’re all eyewitnesses. | 由于有了录像带 你们全部都是目击者 |
[24:01] | You saw the defendant engage in illegal gaming activities. | 你们看到被告从事非法赌博活动 |
[24:06] | Usually, I stand before the jury at the end, and I say, | 通常 在结案陈词时我会站在陪审团面前说 |
[24:08] | “Trust what I tell you.” | “相信我所说的” |
[24:10] | Today I’ll only ask you to trust yourselves. | 今天 我只要求你们相信自己 |
[24:14] | You saw it. | 你们都看到了 |
[24:21] | Better be good. | 看你的了 |
[24:34] | Most criminals trials, | 在大多数刑事审判中 |
[24:35] | the key testimony comes from the victim. | 最关键的证词是来自受害人本人 |
[24:38] | Uh, but they didn’t put a victim on the stand here, did they? | 呃 但是他们没有让受害人上来作证 是不是 |
[24:42] | Because there is no victim. | 因为根本就没有受害人 |
[24:45] | Nobaby to come forward to complain, “I’ve been hurt”… | 没有人上来说“我受伤了” |
[24:48] | because nobody got hurt. | 因为压根没有人受到伤害 |
[24:51] | Oh, they’ll say, “society suffered.” | 噢 他们会说 “社会受到危害了” |
[24:52] | “It’s against public policy.” | “违背了公共政策” |
[24:54] | “Gambling is against who and what we are.” | “赌博违背了我们的本性” |
[24:57] | But that’s a lie. Isn’t it? | 但这是胡扯 不是吗 |
[25:01] | I mean, who love gambling. | 事实上 我们热爱赌博 |
[25:03] | I could run down the street right now and buy a lottery ticket. | 我可以马上跑到大街上去买张彩票 |
[25:07] | Take a cab to Suffolk Downs, lay some money on a horse. | 打个车去萨福克高地 下点注在某匹马身上 |
[25:10] | Hop on a plane to Las Vegas, Atlantic City. | 搭个飞机去拉斯维加斯或大西洋城 |
[25:12] | Maybe even take one of those cruises with the big casinos on it. | 或者登上一艘赌船 |
[25:15] | Kathie Lee might even hug me. | Kathie Lee也许还会拥抱我 |
[25:18] | Gambling is in the fabric of this country. | 赌博植根于这个国家深处 |
[25:22] | Even the word itself- | 甚至语言本身 |
[25:23] | “The man gambled” “He went for it.” | “他放手一博”“他去试试运气” |
[25:25] | “He defied the odds.” “He rolled the dice” | “他决心与命运一搏”“他孤注一掷” |
[25:26] | These are terms we use to describe heroes in this country-Heroes. | 我们用这些语言来形容这个国家的英雄 英雄 |
[25:30] | This is America, | 这里是美国 |
[25:32] | and gambling is in our blood. | 我们的血液里流淌着赌博的因子 |
[25:35] | Now what bothers me most about this trial | 而现在这场审判最让我不能忍受的 |
[25:38] | is the blatant hypocrisy of it all, | 是这种赤裸裸的虚伪 |
[25:40] | ’cause we don’t just tolerate gamblers in this country, | 因为在这个国家 我们不仅宽容赌徒 |
[25:42] | we breed them. | 我们简直是在培养赌徒 |
[25:44] | Flip open a sports page, | 随手翻开报纸的体育版 |
[25:45] | and you’ll see the morning line. | 你会看到各种比赛的赔率目录 |
[25:46] | Turn on the tube to watch the NFL. | 打开电视看NFL |
[25:49] | You got special commentators to give you the point spread, | 可以看到专业的评论员帮你分析 |
[25:51] | their picks and they’ll help you make that bet, | 告诉你他们看好哪些 他们帮你下注 |
[25:54] | and that’s on a Sunday. | 这还是在星期天 |
[25:55] | We spend millions of dollars- No, no, no, no. | 我们花费上百万美元 不不不 |
[25:57] | Make that a billion dollars advertising lottos. | 上十亿美元来宣传乐透 |
[26:00] | The government encourages you to bet. | 政府鼓励你们去赌 |
[26:02] | Massachusetts in the business of gambling. | 马萨诸塞州也在发展博彩业 |
[26:05] | They use the lottery to raise money to lower your taxes. | 他们利用彩票来筹集资金 好给你们减税 |
[26:09] | And they’re coming after him | 然后他们咬住他不放 |
[26:10] | because he helped somebody put a nickel down on the Patriots. | 仅仅因为他帮某人在“爱国者”下了几块钱的注 |
[26:14] | The hypocrisy. | 虚伪至极 |
[26:19] | Now they’re going after Carl Malzone, | 现在他们咬住Carl Malzone不放 |
[26:21] | because they’re trying to extort him fork over somebody bigger. | 只因为他们想逼迫他供出某个大头目 |
[26:25] | And the gaming charge is the only card they have to play. | 赌博罪是他们唯一能提出的指控 |
[26:31] | It stinks. | 真是卑鄙 |
[26:36] | This man is a grandfather | 这位先生已经为人祖父了 |
[26:39] | who’s never hurt anybody. | 他从没伤害过任何人 |
[26:42] | And they’re trying to put him in prison. | 而他们想把他关进监狱 |
[26:45] | It stinks terrible. | 卑鄙至极 |
[26:46] | And not just because of what they’re trying to do to him, | 不仅是因为他们对他的所作所为 |
[26:49] | but because they’re trying to do it here in this very room | 更过分的是他们企图在这里 在这个地方这么干 |
[26:53] | -a courtroom -a courtroom in the United States of America. | 在法庭上 在美利坚合众国的法庭上 |
[26:57] | This is a forum for justice. | 这里是为正义而设的法庭 |
[26:58] | It is not a prosecutorial tool to extort people. | 而不是检方用来敲诈他人的工具 |
[27:02] | And if you let them do this here, | 如果你们允许他们在法庭上这么做 |
[27:04] | if you let them use our justice system as a weapon to oppress, | 如果你们允许他们利用司法制度来压迫别人 |
[27:08] | then what’s next? | 那接下来会怎么样 |
[27:09] | What’s next? | 接下来会怎么样 |
[27:13] | That’s not what a courtroom is for, | 这不是法庭存在的意义 |
[27:17] | not in the Unites States of America. | 不是美利坚合众国的法庭存在的意义 |
[27:25] | How many patients would you say you have on the average, Dr Richards? | 你平均而言有多少个病人 Richards医生 |
[27:28] | On average? Well, maybe a hundred. | 平均而言 呃 也许上百 |
[27:32] | A hundred. | 上百 |
[27:32] | And did you know Jane Crewson | 那么你对Jane Crewson的了解 |
[27:34] | more or less than the other Hundred? | 比其他百位是多些还是少些 |
[27:36] | Maybe a little more, | 也许多一些 |
[27:37] | but my relationship with her was fairly typical. | 但我和她的关系是相当典型的 |
[27:39] | You weren’t her primary physician? | 你不是她的主治医师 |
[27:41] | No, I’m an oncologist. | 不 我是肿瘤科医师 |
[27:43] | Did you know what Jane Crewson did for a living? | 你知道Jane Crewson从事何种职业吗 |
[27:45] | Objection. I don’t see the relevance in this. | 反对 我看不出这与案件有任何关联 |
[27:47] | I have to admit, counsel, I don’t either. | 我不得不说 检方 我也看不出有什么关联 |
[27:49] | I am trying to get a sense of how well the doctor knew his patient. | 我是想看看这位医生对自己的病人有多了解 |
[27:52] | He made a judgment that Jane Crewson was competent | 他认为Jane Crewson有能力 |
[27:55] | to make a pretty big decision here. | 自己做出重大的决定 |
[27:57] | Legally, the decision was made by Mr. Crewson, | 法律上 这个决定是由Crewson先生作出的 |
[27:59] | since legally he was the appointed guardian. | 因为法律上他是监护人 |
[28:02] | Okay, fine. How well did you know Mr.Crewson? | 好吧 那你有多了解Crewson先生 |
[28:05] | Objection. | 反对 |
[28:05] | No. no. no. no. Go ahead. | 不不不 继续 |
[28:08] | Did you know Mr. Crewson more or less than you knew Jane? | 你对Crewson先生的了解 比对Jane多些还是少些 |
[28:12] | Less, obviously. | 显然少些 |
[28:13] | About how many hours in total did you spend with him? | 你一共和他相处过大约几个小时 |
[28:16] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[28:18] | Less that 10? | 不到10个小时 |
[28:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:19] | Less than 5? | 不到5个小时 |
[28:21] | I would say, over the various meetings, about 5 hours. | 各种各样的会面 加在一块大概5个小时 |
[28:24] | Did you know he was in therapy? | 你知道他在接受治疗吗 |
[28:25] | No,but it doesn’t surprise me,considering what was going through. | 不知道 但我并不感到惊讶 毕竟他经历了那些 |
[28:28] | You mean the pain and all? | 你是指他的痛苦 |
[28:29] | Yes. His wife was dying. | 是的 他的妻子就快死了 |
[28:31] | Yes. I’m sure that could cause some emotional havoc, couldn’t it? | 没错 我认为这肯定会导致一些情绪波动 对吧 |
[28:36] | Of course. | 当然 |
[28:37] | And if a person were making serious decisions | 当一个人在情绪不稳定的时候 |
[28:40] | while in the middle of emotional instability | 作出重大决定 |
[28:43] | Objection. | 反对 |
[28:43] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[28:45] | It was my belief that Mr.Crewson was of completely sound mind. | 我相信Crewson先生当时心智完全清楚 |
[28:49] | Did you ever speak with his therapist? | 你跟他的治疗师谈过吗 |
[28:50] | No. | 没有 |
[28:51] | So you made this determination yourself? | 所以这是你自己的判断 |
[28:53] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:54] | Based on your history with him going back 5 hours. | 基于你和他相处的5个小时 |
[28:58] | – Objection. – Objection. | -反对 -反对 |
[28:59] | she’s doing nothing but ridicule the witness. | 她一直在嘲弄证人 |
[29:01] | Your honor, this is the man that flipped the switch. | 法官阁下 是他加大了吗啡剂量 |
[29:04] | He’s saying it was Jane Crewson’s decision and her husband. | 他说那是Jane Crewson和她丈夫的决定 |
[29:07] | How well he knows these people | 他对他们的了解程度 |
[29:09] | is certainly relevant to his ability to judge their capacity for competence. | 绝对关系到他对他们行为能力的判断是否可靠 |
[29:15] | I’m going to allow it. | 允许质询 |
[29:17] | What did you know of Mr.Crewson’s insurance situation? | 你对Crewson先生的保险情况了解多少 |
[29:20] | Nothing. | 不了解 |
[29:21] | Nothing? | 不了解 |
[29:22] | Would it surprise you to know, | 让Jane Crewson继续存活 |
[29:24] | had Jane Crewson continued to live. | 会使她丈夫陷入严重财务困境 |
[29:27] | It would have a worked a severe financial hardship on her husband? | 这会不会让你惊讶呢 |
[29:30] | – Objection! – Objection! | -反对 -反对 |
[29:31] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[29:32] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[29:32] | I’ve ruled. | 我已经裁定了 |
[29:34] | Did you ever make any attempt | 你有没有想过 |
[29:36] | to examine Mr.Crewson’s motives for wanting his wife to die? | Crewson先生希望他妻子死去的动机何在 |
[29:41] | I didn’t have to. | 没有这个必要 |
[29:42] | You didn’t? | 没有必要 |
[29:43] | He says “Time’s up” and you just take his word for it? | 他说“是时候了” 然后你就理所当然地接受了 |
[29:46] | Move to strike that | 请求不予记录 |
[29:47] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[29:48] | It’s a nasty question, but it’s a fair one. | 虽然令人不快 但这个问题有其合理性 |
[29:52] | I weight this man’s capacity for competence as I did with Jane. | 与对Jane一样 我衡量过这位先生的判断能力 |
[29:56] | And I determined that they were able to make the decision. | 我认为他们都有能力自己作决定 |
[30:00] | Yes. | 是啊 |
[30:01] | And I suppose if a hospital were to stop and ask questions | 我想如果每一次有人想杀家庭成员 |
[30:07] | every time one family member wanted to kill another. | 医院都来做个调查的话 |
[30:11] | The system would choke. | 医院会瘫痪的 |
[30:17] | – Ms. Gamble – No comment. | -Gamble小姐 -无可奉告 |
[30:19] | -How much time – do you understand English? | -要多久… -你听得懂英语吗 |
[30:21] | I said no comment. | 我说无可奉告 |
[30:22] | Haven’t you said enough, Helen | 你还没说够吗 Helen |
[30:23] | Please excuse me. | 见谅 请再说一遍 |
[30:24] | I won’t excuse you. | 你不可原谅 |
[30:25] | there is basic decency, you know. | 做人要讲基本的礼貌 |
[30:27] | Maybe you could show some. | 或许你可以教教我 |
[30:28] | They lost a person they love. | 他们失去了至亲 |
[30:29] | – You go after them like criminals! – Bobby,calm down! | -你却将他们当成罪犯穷追不舍 -Bobby 冷静点 |
[30:31] | They are criminals! They murdered a woman ! | 他们就是罪犯 他们谋杀了一个女人 |
[30:33] | Why don’t you go to hell? | 去死吧你 |
[30:34] | Mr. Donnell! Ms.Gamble! | Donnell先生 Gamble小姐 |
[30:43] | What the hell is going on? | 你搞什么 |
[30:44] | I wasn’t gonna let her get away with that. | 我不会放过她的 |
[30:45] | You made a giant-sized ass of yourself with cameras clicking! | 你在媒体面前出了个天大的洋相 |
[30:48] | Shut up! | 闭嘴 |
[30:51] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[30:53] | This maybe an emotional case, Bobby. | 这个案件可能比较触动人 Bobby |
[30:55] | But there is nothing-nothing to excuse what just happened out there | 但是刚刚在外面发生的事 |
[30:59] | and nothing to excuse you talking to me like that! | 还有你这样对我说话 都是不可原谅的 |
[31:04] | I apologize. | 我真心道歉 |
[31:06] | My God, Bobby. You’d think it was you on trial here. | 天哪 Bobby 你以为是你自己在受审 |
[31:16] | Oh, hey. Verdict? | 哦 嘿 判决出来了 |
[31:17] | Jury’s coming at 10:00. They deliberated 40 mins. | 陪审团10点过来 他们审议了40分钟 |
[31:20] | What do you think? | 你觉得怎样 |
[31:20] | We might have a chance. | 我们也许有机会 |
[31:21] | Eugene broke out the golden shovel. | Eugene使出了杀手锏 |
[31:23] | I heard that. | 我听着呢 |
[31:25] | How are you doing? | 你们怎么样了 |
[31:26] | He’s about to get up. | 他准备做结案陈词 |
[31:27] | What he’ll say, who knows? | 至于他会说什么 谁知道呢 |
[31:29] | He’s just gone totally into orbit on this one. | 他对这个案子入戏太深了 |
[31:32] | Technically, I could argue he only acted to relieve pain. | 理论上 我可以说他只是想减轻病人的痛苦 |
[31:37] | It was just coincidental that she died. | 而碰巧她那时候就去世了 |
[31:42] | But nobody’s kidding anybody here about what’s going on. | 但发生过的事情 在法庭上没有谁能糊弄谁 |
[31:49] | We are putting a law on trial here | 与其说我们是在这里审判一个人 |
[31:52] | more than a man. | 倒不如说我们是在审判一项法律 |
[31:55] | This is just as much about you and me as it is about him. | 这不仅事关被告 也同样事关你我 |
[32:01] | And I don’t think the district attorney will think me too out-of-bounds | 当我告诉你下面的事 |
[32:04] | if I tell you. | 我想检察官也不会认为我太越界 |
[32:09] | I knew a woman who was dying of cancer. | 我认识一个患上癌症步入死亡的女人 |
[32:13] | And when this cancer seeped into her brain. | 当癌细胞扩散进入她的大脑 |
[32:18] | She couldn’t even recognize her husband, Her son. | 她甚至认不出自己的丈夫 自己的儿子 |
[32:23] | The doctor, | 她的医生 |
[32:28] | who was agreed that the respirator would be turned off- | 认为可以关掉她的呼吸器 |
[32:32] | should be turned off. | 应该关掉 |
[32:35] | And he wouldn’t do it. | 但是他不愿意自己去关 |
[32:39] | It fell to the husband. | 于是责任落到丈夫头上 |
[32:41] | And the husband- | 她的丈夫 |
[32:43] | You see, he-he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. | 他…他下不了手 |
[32:49] | So he asked his son. | 所以他叫儿子去做 |
[32:53] | And the son to spare both his dad and his mom | 那位儿子决定帮父母 |
[32:58] | reached out to end their suffering. | 摆脱折磨 |
[33:05] | And his-his-his hand started to-started to shake to the point | 他…他…他的手 开始…开始猛烈颤抖 |
[33:09] | where he-he couldn’t even feel that it was connected to his arm. | 以至于他…他甚至觉得那好像不是自己的手 |
[33:13] | And he remembers thinking, | 然后他开始想 |
[33:18] | God has his hand now. | 现在 上帝控制着他的手 |
[33:24] | The hand | 那只手 |
[33:27] | it finally did turn off the respirator. | 最终关掉了呼吸器 |
[33:33] | And shortly after, his mother was at peace | 不一会儿 他的母亲变得平静 |
[33:38] | and the son-the son was just-he was glad that the suffering was over. | 而那位儿子只是…他如释重负 痛苦终于结束了 |
[33:48] | And till this day, he knows he did the right thing. | 直到今天 他一直认为自己做的是对的 |
[33:54] | But, uh… | 不过 呃 |
[34:00] | also, to this day, | 直到今天 |
[34:03] | he wishes that he had a doctor like that one. | 他同时也希望当初能有那样一位医生 |
[34:12] | My mother said sometimes-sometimes the hardest thing to do- | 我母亲说过 有时候…有时候最困难的事 |
[34:22] | is an act of kindness. | 就是善举 |
[34:26] | My client, ladies and gentleman, is a very kind man. | 女士们先生们 我的当事人是一位非常善良的人 |
[34:59] | The closing argument you just heard | 对于你们刚刚听到的结案陈词 |
[35:02] | was wholly, totally objectionable. | 我完全 统统都可以提出反对 |
[35:06] | The reason I didn’t object is because I agree with the defense counsel | 我之所以没有反对 是因为我赞同辩方律师所说的 |
[35:10] | that this trial is not just about Dr.Richards. | 这场审判不仅事关Richards医生 |
[35:15] | It’s about all of us. | 也事关我们所有的人 |
[35:17] | Mr.Donnell had a story. | Donnell先生有自己的故事 |
[35:20] | I’m sure we all do. | 我相信每一个人都有 |
[35:23] | Sarah Washington Gamble, my grandmother. | Sarah Washington Gamble 我的祖母 |
[35:28] | Cause of death: Respiration failure brought on by the morphine drip. | 死于由吗啡滴液引起的呼吸衰竭 |
[35:35] | She had Alzheimer’s | 她有阿尔茨海默症 |
[35:36] | and she was suffering from both pain and dementia. | 同时遭受病痛和痴呆的折磨 |
[35:41] | And according to her,the doctor and most of her family, | 根据她自己 她的医生以及大多数家人的说法 |
[35:45] | she wanted to die. | 她想结束自己的生命 |
[35:50] | But she didn’t. | 但其实她不想 |
[35:52] | See, I was the granddaughter that spent every summer with her, | 我是她的孙女 每个夏天都跟她在一起度过 |
[35:57] | the one who lived with her when I was in law school. | 读法学院的时候 我一直和她一起生活 |
[36:00] | And though she said she wanted to die | 尽管她说她想结束生命 |
[36:03] | what she really felt was it was her duty. | 但其实她只是觉得那是她的责任 |
[36:07] | She didn’t wanna be a burden on her family anymore. | 她不想再成为家人的累赘 |
[36:11] | Sure as she said she wanted death, | 她当然说她想结束生命 |
[36:14] | as sure as I stand before you now. | 就像我现在站在你们面前那样理所当然 |
[36:19] | She still wanted to live. | 但其实她还想继续活下去 |
[36:21] | I know it. | 我知道 |
[36:24] | See, the problem with going down this slope | 瞧 一旦人们放任这样的事情 |
[36:28] | is you make suicide permissible, | 后果将是自杀变得合理化 |
[36:31] | then acceptable, | 继而变得可以接受 |
[36:32] | then possibly in some people’s minds the right thing to do. | 继而有些人可能会觉得是应该的 |
[36:38] | You plant the idea with the elderly. | 你们把这样的观念强加给长者 |
[36:40] | It’s selfish to hang on, | 让他们觉得不应该留恋生命 |
[36:42] | to cling to life exhausting financial resources | 与疾病抗争 消耗财产 |
[36:46] | having to make the children look at a sick person… | 不应该让孩子们面对病人 |
[36:48] | having to empty a bedpan | 让他们清理便盆 |
[36:51] | It’s selfish to impose that on someone you love. | 把那样的观念强加给你爱的人是自私的 |
[36:56] | She didn’t have long in the end,I know. | 她确实活不久了 我知道 |
[37:00] | But she had another day | 但起码她还能活一天 |
[37:03] | and probably another day after that one. | 或许之后还能再活一天 |
[37:07] | And after that one. | 之后又活一天 |
[37:11] | The doctor, he had no way of really knowing her. | 那位医生 他不可能真正了解她 |
[37:15] | He had possibly a hundred patients. | 他可能有上百位病人 |
[37:19] | He was a very kind man. | 他是个非常善良的人 |
[37:22] | But his act of kindness, it wasn’t a blessing. | 但他的善举 并不是真的善举 |
[37:26] | It hastened the death of a person | 他加快了一个人的死亡 |
[37:29] | I know wanted to cling just a little longer. | 而我知道这个人还想多活哪怕一点点 |
[37:35] | This trial is going to send a message. | 这场审判将向社会传达一个信息 |
[37:40] | I hope the message you send | 我希望你们传达的信息是 |
[37:45] | is there is a sanctity to life. | 生命是神圣的 |
[37:49] | Let’s not send the message that | 我们不要告诉人们 |
[37:51] | suicide…or assisted suicide, is noble. | 自杀 或协助自杀是高贵的 |
[37:59] | That message may cost you dearly. | 这样的信息会让你们付出沉重的代价 |
[38:03] | You can trust me on that. | 相信我 |
[38:17] | Will the defendant please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[38:22] | The jury has reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团是否达成一致的判决 |
[38:25] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[38:26] | Let’s have it. | 请宣读判决 |
[38:28] | In the matter of the Commonwealth versus Carl Malzone | 马萨诸塞州诉Carl Malzone |
[38:31] | on the charge of gaming prohibited under Chapter 269, Section 14. | 关于触犯第269章第14条之赌博罪 |
[38:36] | We found the defendant not guilty. | 我们判决被告 无罪 |
[38:42] | The jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 法庭感谢陪审团 你们可以离开了 |
[38:46] | Thank you very much. | 非常感谢你们 |
[38:47] | you’re welcome. | 不客气 |
[38:51] | You owe me. | 你欠我的 |
[38:52] | I owe you. | 我欠你的 |
[38:54] | I’d like to thank you too as an American citizen. | 作为美国公民 我也想谢谢你 |
[38:57] | Hey, no problem. | 客气 |
[38:59] | And just to show you I’m a good sport. | 只是让你看看我是个好手 |
[39:04] | You’re lucky you didn’t touch lip. I wouldn’ve brought you up. | 你该庆幸你没有碰嘴唇 不然我会臭骂你一顿 |
[39:10] | Your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[39:12] | Counsel, Going down? | 律师 下楼 |
[39:14] | Well, you tell me. | 嗯 你说呢 |
[39:17] | Can I ask you a question, at the risk of ex parte? | 冒着单方接触的风险 我能问你个问题吗 |
[39:20] | Sure. Worst case scenario, I jail you. | 可以 最坏的情况不过是 我把你关监禁 |
[39:26] | You know, you let a lot in that had nothing to do with this case. | 你在审判中放任了很多与案件无关的因素 |
[39:30] | That depends on what you thought this case was about. | 这取决于你认为这个案件争议的是什么 |
[39:33] | It was supposed to be about whether or not | 争议的应该是被告 |
[39:35] | a defendant committed a crime, nothing more. | 是否犯有罪行 仅此而已 |
[39:38] | Yeah, well, | 没错 |
[39:39] | you really think I should leave legislative policy up to the legislature? | 你认为我应该把立法政策全都交给立法机构 |
[39:46] | You knew, didn’t you? | 你知道 对不对 |
[39:47] | Bobby’s mother? Gamble’s grandmother? | Bobby的母亲 Gamble的祖母 |
[39:50] | You knew. | 你知道的 |
[39:52] | All I knew was we’d have an exciting trial. | 我所知道的是 我们经历了一场激动人心的审判 |
[39:58] | But I certainly never knew we’d have a verdict today. | 但我肯定不知道 我们今天就有判决了 |
[40:24] | Is this good? | 这是好事吗 |
[40:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:29] | Have you reach a verdict? | 你们达成一致判决了吗 |
[40:30] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[40:32] | Will the defendant please rise. | 被告请起立 |
[40:37] | Read it to the court, please. | 请向法庭宣读判决 |
[40:39] | Commonwealth versus Dr.Henry Richards | 马萨诸塞州诉Henry Richards医生 |
[40:42] | on the charge of murder in the second degree. | 二级谋杀罪 |
[40:44] | We find the defendant guilty. | 我们判决被告 有罪 |
[40:53] | I don’t believe it. | 怎么可能 |
[40:55] | We got a lot of grounds. Quick deliberation is another one. | 我们有很多上诉的理由 快速审议也是一个 |
[40:57] | The jury’s work is completed. You’re done. | 陪审团的任务已完成 |
[40:59] | You can go. We thank you. | 你们可以离开 感谢你们 |
[41:01] | Ask personal recognizance pending appeal, your honor. | 请求保释 等候上诉 法官阁下 |
[41:04] | Granted. We’re adjourned. | 准予保释 休庭 |
[41:08] | Doctor, will you make a statement? | 医生 你会发表声明吗 |
[41:16] | Ten hours community service. No time. | 十个小时社区服务 不用监禁 |
[41:25] | She just told me no jail. No jail. | 她刚告诉我不用坐牢 不用坐牢 |
[41:36] | Finally, a victory against jury nullification. | 终于赢了个“废弃裁决”的案子 |
[41:38] | Way to go, Helen. | 干得好 Helen |
[41:39] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[41:40] | Good win, Helen. Great job. | 赢得漂亮 Helen 了不起 |
[41:42] | Oh, yeah. Get out of here. | 噢 快走吧 |