| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:02] | Listen, this case is completely circumstantial, | 这个案件仅有间接证据 | 
| [00:04] | we have a very good shot. | 我们胜算很大 | 
| [00:05] | Plus, we have grounds for appeal, let’s not forget that | 另外 我们还有上诉的理由 别忘了 | 
| [00:07] | you guys have nothing to worry about, | 完全不用担心 | 
| [00:09] | there is no way they can convict your client. | 你们的当事人不可能被定罪的 | 
| [00:11] | Oh, you were in the court room? | 哦 你刚才也在法庭上 | 
| [00:12] | I’m on the jury. | 我在陪审团 | 
| [00:14] | I had a communication with a juror. | 我跟陪审员有过交谈 | 
| [00:16] | I gotta go to the judge. | 我必须报告法官 | 
| [00:17] | But, you didn’t communicate with him. | 可是 你并没有主动跟他交谈 | 
| [00:19] | But even so, technically, under the rules, we have a mistrial. | 即便如此 理论上 根据法律 已经导致审判无效了 | 
| [00:23] | I don’t say how this has any effect. | 我认为这无关紧要 | 
| [00:25] | I say we don’t tell. | 我们不用报告 | 
| [00:26] | On the matter of Commonwealth vs. Kenny Trip, | 马萨诸塞州诉Kenny Trip | 
| [00:29] | we find the defendant guilty. | 我们判决被告有罪 | 
| [00:33] | Sentencing next tuesday, 9 o’clock. | 下周二上午9点宣布量刑判决 | 
| [00:35] | Don’t say anything, i’m coming right back to talk to you, | 什么都别说 我马上回来跟你解释 | 
| [00:37] | ok, just don’t say anything. I got a plan. | 什么都别说 我有办法 | 
| [00:41] | The guilty verdict stands. As for the two of you, | 有罪判决有效 至于你们两个 | 
| [00:44] | I’ll be recommending immediate disbarment. | 我会建议立即吊销你们的律师执照 | 
| [00:46] | You risked your career, | 这不仅可能葬送你们的职业生涯 | 
| [00:47] | you completely jeopardized the reputation of this entire firm. | 还可能毁了整个事务所的名誉 | 
| [00:50] | You got a murderer off on the moral integrity | 你为了帮谋杀犯脱罪 | 
| [00:52] | of his cold-blooded execution. | 把他的冷血杀戮说成具有道德正当性 | 
| [00:55] | What exactly do you think is our reputation here, Bobby? | 你觉得我们的名誉能好到哪儿去 Bobby | 
| [01:02] | It wasn’t a suicide. | 不是自杀 | 
| [01:03] | You can state that for a medical certainty? | 从医学专业角度 你能够完全断定? | 
| [01:06] | Mr. Wiggins has no suicidal tendency in my professional opinion… | 根据我的专业判断 Wiggins先生没有自杀倾向… | 
| [01:08] | …you can state it to a medical certainty it wasn’t a suicide? | 从医学专业角度 你能够完全断定这不是自杀? | 
| [01:13] | I’m a psychiatrist, not a medical examiner but.. | 我是个心理医师 不是体检医生 但是… | 
| [01:16] | So you can’t rule out suicide as a cause of death, correct, Doctor? | 那么你不能排除自杀的可能性 不是么? | 
| [01:20] | That would be correct, but I…. | 这么说也没错 但是我… | 
| [01:21] | Thank you, Doctor. And Doctor, | 谢谢 还有 医生 | 
| [01:23] | have you had other patients who did commit suicide? | 你曾经有过其他自杀的病人吗 | 
| [01:26] | Yes. | 有 | 
| [01:27] | How many? | 多少个 | 
| [01:28] | I’m not sure. | 我记不太清 | 
| [01:29] | More than five, | 5个以上? | 
| [01:30] | probably. | 也许吧 | 
| [01:32] | More than ten? | 10个以上? | 
| [01:33] | I’d say between five and ten | 我想大概介于5个到10个之间 | 
| [01:35] | and I have to check my files. | 我需要查下档案才能确定 | 
| [01:36] | And of those suicides | 这些自杀的病人当中 | 
| [01:37] | was there ever one you didn’t see coming? | 有没有哪一个是你没有预料到他会自杀的 | 
| [01:40] | In most of those occasions I saw some symptoms… | 大多数情况下我都会发现某些征兆… | 
| [01:42] | Was there ever an occasion where the suicide surprised you, | 有没有哪次自杀是出乎你意料的 | 
| [01:46] | someone you didn’t deem suicidal took his or her life, | 某个你认为不会自杀的病人却自杀了 | 
| [01:49] | did that ever happened? | 这种事发生过吗 | 
| [01:50] | Yes, but.. | 发生过 但是.. | 
| [01:50] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [01:51] | So it does happen, Doctor, doesn’t it? | 所以确实发生过这样的情况 不是吗 医生 | 
| [01:54] | There were patient with no apparent suicidal tendencies | 有的病人没有明显的自杀倾向 | 
| [01:57] | takes his life, it happens. | 却自杀了? | 
| [01:59] | It’s argumentative and ** | 这是争议性提问 骚扰证人 | 
| [02:00] | This is a cross examination, | 这是交叉质询 | 
| [02:02] | I’ll exhibit the doctor is being argumentative. | 我会展示医生的证言才具有争议性 | 
| [02:04] | Let’s just have a nice and civil murder trial, shall we? | 大家还是礼貌 文明一点 好吧 | 
| [02:08] | Doctor, according to your testimony, | 医生 根据你的证词 | 
| [02:12] | Mr Wiggins became upset to learn | Wiggins先生知道妻子 | 
| [02:14] | of the affair between his wife and Mr. Forsythe, did he? | 和Forsythe先生有染后心烦意乱 是吗 | 
| [02:18] | Yes. I didn’t say despondent. | 心烦意乱?是的 但并不消沉 | 
| [02:21] | Is it possible that he could become despondent, | 知道自己12年的结发妻子和别人上床 | 
| [02:24] | to learn his wife of 12 years, was sleeping with another man? | 他有可能消沉吗 | 
| [02:29] | To me, he seemed more enraged than depressed. | 在我看来 与其说是消沉 不如说是愤怒 | 
| [02:32] | Are you telling this court he wasn’t depressed about it? | 你是想说他并不感到消沉? | 
| [02:35] | I’m telling this court I don’t think he committed suicide. | 我想说的是 我认为他不是自杀的 | 
| [02:39] | Of course you don’t wanna think that, | 你当然不愿意认为他是自杀的 | 
| [02:41] | you were his treating psychiatrist, | 你是他的临床心理医生 | 
| [02:43] | suicide would represent your failure, wouldn’t it, doctor? | 自杀的话就意味着你的失职 是吗 医生 | 
| [02:46] | Hey I prescribed medication, he refused to take it, | 嘿 我给他开了药方 他不要 | 
| [02:50] | he refused to take drugs, any drugs! | 他拒绝服用任何药物 任何药物 | 
| [02:52] | Move to strike, non responsive. | 请求不予记录 答非所问 | 
| [02:54] | There is no way he will willingly take Saconal… | 所以他不可能自己服用萨可诺 | 
| [02:56] | Move to strike! | 请求不予记录 | 
| [02:59] | -You are way too aggressive. -Aggressive? | -你太咄咄逼人了 -咄咄逼人? | 
| [03:00] | He was throwing dirt on the coffin he put the final nail on it. | 他在往棺材上盖土 还要钉上最后一颗钉子 | 
| [03:03] | Andrea, you’ve been paying attention? We’re losing. | Andrea 你意识到没有 我们要输了 | 
| [03:06] | It’s still all circumstantial. | 这些仍然都只是间接证据 | 
| [03:08] | Two lovers last seen with a dead husband? | 一对偷情男女最后见过死去的丈夫 | 
| [03:10] | They found her drugs inside of him. This is a nightmare. | 死者体内检出她的药物 这是噩梦 | 
| [03:13] | They are innocent, Bobby you know it as well as I do. | 他们是无辜的 Bobby 你跟我一样清楚 | 
| [03:16] | It doesn’t matter what we know. I’m telling you, | 我们怎么想都无足轻重 我告诉你 | 
| [03:17] | I can tell it in the eyes of the jury. | 从陪审员的眼神里看得出来 | 
| [03:19] | We are going down. | 我们要输了 | 
| [04:11] | Come on, you know Ellenor Frutt, she is an honest lawyer, | 拜托 你认识Ellenor Frutt 她是个正直的律师 | 
| [04:13] | so is Lindsay Dole! | Lindsay Dole也是 | 
| [04:14] | They communicated with a juror. | 她们和陪审员交谈 | 
| [04:16] | Your honor, if you file this complaint, | 法官阁下 如果你举报她们 | 
| [04:17] | it will stint their career forever. | 她们的职业生涯就全完了 | 
| [04:19] | That’s the point. | 要的就是这个效果 | 
| [04:20] | You never made mistakes? | 你就从来没犯过错吗 | 
| [04:21] | Not the one you’re asking me to make right now. | 像你正在让我犯的这种?没有 | 
| [04:23] | My decision stands. | 我坚持我的裁决 | 
| [04:25] | Stand to be corrected. | 坚持到被更正为止 | 
| [04:26] | Counsel, maybe I should direct the board to investigate you. | 律师 或许我应该建议委员会对你也做些调查 | 
| [04:39] | Damn it. | 该死的 | 
| [04:41] | Did he fly? | 他搞定没 | 
| [04:42] | Nope. | 没有 | 
| [04:44] | So, we are still basically suspended? | 那么 我们仍然被暂停执业? | 
| [04:47] | Basically. | 基本上是 | 
| [04:52] | This is, err, a little awkward, Jimmy. | 呃 我有点不太好开口 Jimmy | 
| [04:55] | I mean you said you have | 你说你们有 | 
| [04:56] | some kind of specialist on disability claims, so I.. | 残疾索赔方面的专家 所以我… | 
| [04:58] | Oh he is, he used to be a P.I., | 哦 就是他 他做过私家侦探 | 
| [05:00] | this is his rear house | 对他来说就跟自家后院儿一样 | 
| [05:03] | Yeah well, all the same | 啊 那好吧 都一样 | 
| [05:05] | Wait wait, Mr. Rydell, what’s going on here, | 等等 Rydell先生 怎么了 | 
| [05:08] | is there a problem of my, err, being bold? | 是不是看不惯我的 呃 秃头? | 
| [05:15] | You are black. | 你是个黑人 | 
| [05:17] | Oh. | 哦 | 
| [05:19] | Which is fine, in most instances, but, this instance. | 本来没什么 大多数情况下 但这次不一样 | 
| [05:26] | What is the problem, John? | 有什么问题 John? | 
| [05:27] | A black lawyer cannot argue about a bum knee? | 黑人律师就不能为受伤的膝盖讨回公道吗 | 
| [05:30] | We are not talking about a bum knee, Jimmy. | 我不是为受伤的膝盖来的 | 
| [05:32] | The disability i’m claiming is racism. | 我要求赔偿的残疾是种族歧视 | 
| [05:36] | What? | 什么? | 
| [05:37] | I’ve been seeing a shrink, | 我看过心理医生 | 
| [05:38] | I can document it official | 我可以拿到正式证明 | 
| [05:41] | You are saying racism is a disease | 你是说种族歧视是种疾病 | 
| [05:43] | to qualify you for disability pay. | 你有权以此要求残疾赔偿? | 
| [05:47] | Mr. Young, I’ve been working the beat for 18 years. | Young先生 我当了18年警察 | 
| [05:51] | I ain’t just talking about job trust here. | 这不光是一份糊口的差事 | 
| [05:54] | I’m talking about everytime I see an African-American suspect, | 每次我看到非洲裔嫌犯 | 
| [05:58] | my hand is automatically going for my gun. | 我的手就自动地伸向我的枪 | 
| [06:01] | Am I proud of that? No. | 我乐意这样吗 不 | 
| [06:04] | Is it the truth? Yeah! | 这是事实吗 是的 | 
| [06:07] | And you expect to be awarded early pension because of this. | 而且你指望因此提前领取退休金? | 
| [06:10] | I didn’t expect to get fired. | 我没预料到会被解雇 | 
| [06:13] | When I told my superiors, they bounced me. | 当我告诉我的上司 他直接炒了我 | 
| [06:16] | I should be suing to get my job back, | 也许我该打官司要回我的工作 | 
| [06:19] | but I shouldn’t get it back, | 可是我根本不应该再要回那份工作 | 
| [06:20] | I got no business being out on the beat. | 我不适合继续做个警察 | 
| [06:23] | But, I got a family, a mortgage, | 但是我要养家糊口 我要还房贷 | 
| [06:25] | and I got fired | 我之所以被解雇 | 
| [06:26] | for telling the truth that was pretty hard to face up to. | 是因为我说出了一个难以启齿的事实 | 
| [06:31] | And I’ll tell you something else, | 还有我要告诉你 | 
| [06:32] | these racist tendencies, | 我的种族歧视倾向 | 
| [06:34] | I’ve never used to have them. | 不是与生俱来的 | 
| [06:36] | This job has done this to me. | 是这份工作使我变成这样 | 
| [06:41] | Listen. | 听着 | 
| [06:42] | Our gut reaction plus the polls from our jury consultants | 从我们的直觉 以及陪审团顾问所做的调查来看 | 
| [06:45] | it doesn’t look good. | 结果可能不妙 | 
| [06:47] | I might have to think about a deal. | 我可能得考虑认罪协议 | 
| [06:49] | A deal? A deal? | 协议? 协议? | 
| [06:53] | We are innocent. | 我们是无辜的 | 
| [06:54] | What, what kind of a deal? | 什…什么样的认罪协议 | 
| [06:57] | I don’t think they’ll offer anything better than manslaughter. | 我认为最低也是非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [07:02] | Do you think we did this? | 你觉得是我们干的吗 | 
| [07:04] | No. | 不 | 
| [07:05] | Then how can you possibly suggest that we agree to manslaughter? | 那你凭什么建议我们接受非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [07:10] | I’m not suggesting, but let’s face it. | 我没有建议 但是我们要面对现实 | 
| [07:12] | You two are the only ones | 除了你们自己 | 
| [07:13] | who’re gonna account for your whereabout. | 没有人能够证明你们两个当时在哪里 | 
| [07:16] | By your own admission you were sleeping, | 你们自己也承认 | 
| [07:17] | while you were alone at the movie. | 你当时在睡觉 而你一个人去看电影 | 
| [07:21] | You husband was found dead in a bathtub | 你丈夫死在浴缸里 | 
| [07:23] | with his blood full of your Saconal. | 血液中全是你的萨可诺 | 
| [07:25] | Two lovers, last seen with him, | 一对情侣 最后出现在事发现场 | 
| [07:27] | no alibi, plenty of motives.. | 没有不在场证明 有充分的作案动机 | 
| [07:29] | We didn’t do it. | 可是真的不是我们杀的 | 
| [07:30] | Your husband’s psychiatrist | 你丈夫的心理医生 | 
| [07:32] | just blew a hole in our suicide theory. | 刚刚堵死了我们提出的自杀的可能性 | 
| [07:34] | I didn’t kill my husband. | 我没有杀我丈夫 | 
| [07:36] | And I certainly will not get up and say that I did. | 我肯定不会承认是我杀的 | 
| [07:45] | Ok, ok, hmm. | 好吧 好吧 | 
| [07:49] | It comes down to putting you on the stand, | 那只有让你们俩出庭作证 | 
| [07:53] | both of you. | 你们俩都得作证 | 
| [07:55] | That’s, that’s fine. | 作证…可以 | 
| [07:57] | Look, Pratt is gonna come ask you hard on the affairs, | 要知道 Pratt会对你们百般刁难 关于婚外情 | 
| [08:00] | the prenups, the motives, it will be ugly. | 婚前协议 作案动机 你们会很煎熬 | 
| [08:03] | You will be painted as greedy adulterers | 你们会被说成贪婪的奸夫淫妇 | 
| [08:04] | who killed their rich older man for his money. | 为贪财而谋害有钱丈夫 | 
| [08:06] | That picture has already been painted, Mr. Donnell, | 我们已经被说成那个样子了 Donnell先生 | 
| [08:08] | did you read the papers? | 你没看到报纸上写的吗 | 
| [08:10] | Oh, Jane. The newspapers have done nothing to prepare you | 哦 Jane 等你站上证人席 | 
| [08:12] | for what you’re in for once you get into that witness chair. | 你就知道报纸上所说的简直是毛毛雨 | 
| [08:16] | Now, we’ll start with you Doug, | 我们让你先作证 Doug | 
| [08:19] | and then you’ll follow, Mary Jane. | 然后是你 Mary Jane | 
| [08:22] | Let’s meet after lunch, | 午饭后我们碰个面 | 
| [08:23] | and we’ll go over what to expect, all right? | 一起做些准备 好吗 | 
| [08:31] | Listen,you two better go out the back. | 你俩最好从后门走 | 
| [08:32] | The corner there is a crowd. | 那边的转角处有很多人围着 | 
| [08:45] | Remember when we were lying in bed | 还记得我们躺在床上 | 
| [08:46] | worrying about our law exam? | 担心考试的日子吗 | 
| [08:48] | Yeah.. | 呵 记得 | 
| [08:51] | We were talking about how great | 我们憧憬着 | 
| [08:52] | it would be once we got out of school, | 毕业以后的美好未来 | 
| [08:54] | maybe someday, co-counseling a big case together. | 或许有一天 一起做一单大案子 | 
| [08:58] | And here we are. | 现在我们如愿了 | 
| [09:00] | This isn’t fun. | 可这真没劲 | 
| [09:04] | Not a bit. | 一点劲都没有 | 
| [09:07] | Are you actually gonna take this guy’s case? | 你真准备接这个案子吗? | 
| [09:10] | Think about it. | 有这个打算 | 
| [09:11] | He got punished admitting he is racist. | 他因为承认种族歧视而遭到惩罚 | 
| [09:13] | What kind of message does this sent? | 这将向社会传达怎样的信息 | 
| [09:16] | “Keep it to yourself, don’t go forward.” | “别站出来 自己知道就好” | 
| [09:18] | which means that keeps more racist cops on the street? | 这难道不会使更多有种族歧视的警察继续呆在岗位上 | 
| [09:21] | This is one way of looking at it. | 这是看待这个案子的一个角度 | 
| [09:23] | Another way would be, | 还有一个角度是 | 
| [09:23] | this guy is looking to get paid for being prejudiced. | 这哥们希望因为种族歧视而获得赔偿 | 
| [09:27] | Now, have you put that to your smell test? | 你没有意识到这一点吗 | 
| [09:31] | I got the whole filed facts, | 我拿到了所有的案卷材料 | 
| [09:32] | we could… oh, hi. | 我们可以 哦 嗨 | 
| [09:37] | hi. | 嗨 | 
| [09:38] | I wish you the best of luck in your disbarment proceeding. | 关于吊销律师执照的事 祝你们进展顺利 | 
| [09:48] | How long have you and Mrs Wiggins been lovers, sir? | 你和Wiggins夫人相爱有多久了 | 
| [09:52] | A little over 2 years. | 两年多点 | 
| [09:54] | And, you met how? | 你们怎么认识的 | 
| [09:56] | I was employed as senior vice president | 我在Wiggins波纹钢公司 | 
| [09:59] | at Wiggins’ Corrugated Steels Company. | 任高级副总裁 | 
| [10:02] | You were sleeping with your boss’s wife. | 你跟你老板的妻子上床 | 
| [10:04] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [10:05] | At some point he found out about it. | 然后被他发现了 | 
| [10:07] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [10:08] | What was his reaction? | 他有什么反应 | 
| [10:10] | He terminated my employment. | 他解雇了我 | 
| [10:12] | Did you ever see him again? | 你在那之后有见过他吗 | 
| [10:13] | Yes. I saw him the day of his death. | 见过 我在他去世的那天见过他 | 
| [10:16] | Where? | 在哪儿 | 
| [10:17] | At his house. | 他的住所 | 
| [10:18] | What happened on the day you went to see him, Mr. Forsythe? | 你见到他的那天发生了什么 Forsythe先生 | 
| [10:22] | I tried to express how bad I felt, and I, | 我想告诉他我的愧疚难过 以及 | 
| [10:26] | I suppose I really wanted to get some kind of forgiveness. | 我发自内心地希望得到他的原谅 | 
| [10:32] | Did you? | 你得到了吗 | 
| [10:33] | No. | 没有 | 
| [10:35] | No, he accused me of being a liar, | 他骂我是个骗子 | 
| [10:37] | and he asked me to leave his house. | 要我马上离开他家 | 
| [10:39] | Did you leave alone? | 你一个人离开的吗 | 
| [10:40] | No. Mary Jane was with me. | 不是 Mary Jane和我一起离开的 | 
| [10:43] | She tried to stay, and reason with him a little, | 她本来想留下 跟他心平气和地谈谈 | 
| [10:45] | but he screamed at her too. | 但是他也对着她一阵咆哮 | 
| [10:46] | And, when you left the house, where did you go? | 离开他家之后 你去了哪里 | 
| [10:48] | To my house. | 回了我自己家 | 
| [10:50] | We were to go to a movie, | 我们本来准备去看电影的 | 
| [10:51] | but, I decided to just crash. | 不过 我决定还是睡觉算了 | 
| [10:54] | I took a nap, and Mary Jane did go to the movie. | 我小睡了一会 Mary Jane去看了电影 | 
| [10:59] | So, you were deeply upset, when you left Mr Wiggins’ house. | 这么说 你离开Wiggins家的时候极其烦躁? | 
| [11:03] | Yes, sir. | 是的 | 
| [11:04] | So troubled that you lay down, and took a nap. | 以至于你躺下来 小睡了一会 | 
| [11:07] | Any difficulties sleeping? | 能睡得着吗 | 
| [11:09] | The sleeplessness from the last two weeks probably made it easier. | 也许是因为之前两个星期一直失眠 我很快睡着了 | 
| [11:12] | Can anyone verify that you were at home sleeping? | 有人能证明你当时在家里睡觉吗 | 
| [11:14] | No sir, except for Mary Jane. | 没有 除了Mary Jane | 
| [11:16] | who went to the movie | 她去看电影了? | 
| [11:17] | yes. | 是的 | 
| [11:18] | That’s a funny thing. | 真有意思 | 
| [11:20] | You know you both have busy lives, | 要知道 你们俩都是大忙人 | 
| [11:23] | active schedules, lots of people to see. | 日程表都排得很满 要见很多人 | 
| [11:26] | But at the actual time Mr. Wiggins died, | 可是恰恰在Wiggins先生死的时候 | 
| [11:28] | neither of you have anybody to account for your whereabout, | 你们两个居然都是一个人单独呆着 | 
| [11:31] | that’s kind of a coincidence, don’t you think? | 这未免也太巧了 你说呢 | 
| [11:34] | Would that be a coincidence, Mr. Forsythe? | 你觉得这是巧合吗 Forsythe先生 | 
| [11:37] | I suppose it would. | 我想是的 | 
| [11:38] | And by Mr Wiggins dying instead of divorcing his wife, | 而且只要Wiggins先生死去 而不是和妻子离婚的话 | 
| [11:41] | you and your love are going to be very wealthy people together. | 你们俩会得到一大笔钱 | 
| [11:43] | – Objection! – Objection! | -反对 -反对 | 
| [11:44] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [11:45] | No worry about the prenups now, isn’t it, Mr. Forsythe? | 用不着担心婚前协议了 是不是 Forsythe先生 | 
| [11:47] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [11:47] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [11:48] | Did you go back to that house, and poison Mr. Wiggins? | 你有没有回去给Wiggins先生下毒 | 
| [11:51] | – No. – Objection! | -没有 -反对 | 
| [11:52] | Did you drown him in that bathtub? | 你有没有把他淹死在浴缸里 | 
| [11:53] | Your honour! | 法官阁下 | 
| [11:54] | Counsel. | 控方律师 | 
| [11:55] | Did you murder him for his wife and his money? | 你是不是因为他的妻子和他的钱而谋杀他 | 
| [11:57] | – Move to strike – Objection, your honor. | -申请不予记录 -反对 法官阁下 | 
| [11:59] | Mr. Pratt, that is enough. | Pratt先生 够了 | 
| [12:02] | Don’t you think if we were to do something like this | 你不觉得如果我们真要这么干 | 
| [12:05] | we would make sure we have an alibi? | 一定会安排好不在场证明吗 | 
| [12:07] | Well that’s a good thought, Mr Forsythe. | 有道理 Forsythe先生 | 
| [12:10] | Did you think of that before or after you killed him? | 你是在杀他之前 还是之后想到这一点的 | 
| [12:12] | Mr. Pratt! | Pratt先生 | 
| [12:13] | I’m sorry. That’s all. | 对不起 我问完了 | 
| [12:18] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退下了 | 
| [12:26] | You help up well, but.. | 你表现得不错 可是 | 
| [12:27] | That still looks bad. | 给人感觉还是不好 | 
| [12:34] | Doug. I gotta ask you a tough question. | Doug 我得问你个尖锐的问题 | 
| [12:38] | Mary Jane said she went to the movie. | Mary Jane说她去看电影了 | 
| [12:40] | In your mind, is there any possibility that she.. | 你觉得有没有可能… | 
| [12:43] | No. | 不可能 | 
| [12:43] | I know you love her, but if there is the remotest chance, that… | 我知道你爱她 但是如果有一点点可能… | 
| [12:48] | At this point it’s every man for himself. | 现在是每个人各自为营的时候 | 
| [12:50] | I represent you. I don’t represent her. | 我是为你辩护 不是为她 | 
| [12:52] | Hey, if either of us is to be singled out as more likely, | 嘿 如果我俩当中要挑出一个嫌疑更大的 | 
| [12:55] | it’d probably be me. | 那应该是我 | 
| [12:57] | I don’t follow. | 我不明白 | 
| [13:01] | She still loved him. | 她依然爱着他 | 
| [13:03] | In fact, a couple of days before he died, | 事实上 就在他死的前几天 | 
| [13:05] | she said she was thinking of going back with him. | 她还说在考虑回到他身边 | 
| [13:08] | The two of us are fighting. | 我们为此还吵了一架 | 
| [13:10] | Why didn’t you tell me this before? | 你之前为什么不告诉我 | 
| [13:12] | ‘cos this doesn’t matter. | 因为根本无关紧要 | 
| [13:13] | At the end of the argument we were all settled and staying together. | 我们争执的结果就是 我们决定在一起 | 
| [13:18] | The point I’m making is this: | 我想说的是 | 
| [13:20] | though she couldn’t live with John anymore, | 尽管她没法继续和John一起生活 | 
| [13:22] | she still loved him a lot, | 她依然深爱着他 | 
| [13:24] | and she never would have considered hurting him. | 她绝不会想要伤害他的 | 
| [13:27] | She wasn’t worried about the prenup? | 她不担心婚前协议吗 | 
| [13:29] | She didn’t care about his money. | 她不关心他的钱 | 
| [13:31] | She didn’t even wanted his money. | 她根本不想要他的钱 | 
| [13:33] | What about pointing the finger at somebody else? | 把矛头指向其他人怎么样 | 
| [13:36] | There were two employees at Wiggins’ | Wiggins公司有两个雇员 | 
| [13:37] | who want a big power struggle trying to squeeze him out. | 一直想把他踢出去 | 
| [13:40] | So they killed him? | 所以他们杀了他? | 
| [13:41] | The first rule in defence law is | 辩护的第一法则就是 | 
| [13:43] | don’t offer a theory you can’t prove, remember? | 不要提出你自己都证明不了的说法 记得吗 | 
| [13:45] | We gotta think of something Andrea. | 我们必须要想个办法 Andrea | 
| [13:47] | What about accident, we can go back to that. | 说是意外怎么样 我们还是可以提出意外论 | 
| [13:49] | Nah. | 不行 | 
| [13:49] | You heard the M.E. | 你也听到验尸官的话了 | 
| [13:50] | He said it’s way too much Seconal to be accidental. | 萨可诺的含量太高 不可能是意外 | 
| [13:53] | Yeah, but he could be wrong. | 的确 但是他没准错了呢 | 
| [13:53] | All we need is doubt. | 我们所需要的只是疑点 | 
| [13:55] | You realize that we got two people who basically because of | 你有没有意识到 这两个人仅仅 | 
| [13:57] | they committed adultery about to be convicted of homicide? | 因为通奸而要被判谋杀罪 | 
| [14:00] | The problem is that the Seconal is mixed with wine. | 问题在于萨可诺是掺在酒里面的 | 
| [14:02] | If the guy were to commit suicide | 如果受害者要自杀 | 
| [14:04] | why would he just swallow the pills, | 直接吞药片就好了 | 
| [14:05] | why grind it up and mix it with wine? | 为什么要磨碎了掺酒喝呢 | 
| [14:07] | That’s the question we gotta answer. | 这个问题需要合理解释 | 
| [14:09] | Maybe he was hoping it would look like murder, | 或许他故意让事情看起来像个谋杀呢 | 
| [14:11] | I mean that would be a great way to get even, wouldn’t it? | 这是个很好的报复方式 不是吗 | 
| [14:13] | Yeah, another theory we can’t prove. | 恩 又一个我们证明不了的说法 | 
| [14:15] | But keep thinking, | 继续想 | 
| [14:16] | that little mind of yours is about to come up with something. | 你的小脑袋瓜肯定会想出个方法的 | 
| [14:29] | I lied. | 我没说实话 | 
| [14:31] | What? | 什么 | 
| [14:33] | When I said this wasn’t fun. | 我说这一点意思都没有 | 
| [14:35] | I mean the case isn’t, but working together.. | 我说的是案子本身 但和你一起做案子… | 
| [14:42] | I love the way you grilled the psychiatrist. | 我喜欢你盘问那个心理医生的样子 | 
| [14:46] | You little cheeks got all flushed. | 你的小脸红红的 | 
| [14:48] | I forgot how your cheeks flush out. | 我都不记得你脸红的样子了 | 
| [14:56] | Bobby? Oops. hmm, sorry, i’ll just.. | Bobby 啊 不好意思 我只是… | 
| [15:00] | No, no, I was just going. I’ll see you in court. | 没 没事 我刚好要走 庭上见 | 
| [15:05] | Yeah. 9 o’clock. | 嗯 9点钟 | 
| [15:08] | Sharp. Goodnight Ellenor. | 准时到 晚安 Ellenor | 
| [15:10] | Goodnight. | 晚安 | 
| [15:13] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 | 
| [15:16] | You need me? | 你找我 | 
| [15:17] | Yeah. Hmm, | 是的 嗯 | 
| [15:18] | Lindsay said that you are going to go to another judge for us. | Lindsay说你要去找另外一个法官帮我们 | 
| [15:21] | Judge Hiller is the presiding superior court judge in Suffolk, | Hiller法官是州高等法院首席法官 | 
| [15:24] | she’s on my murder trial. | 她在审理我那个谋杀案 | 
| [15:25] | I’m gonna try to grab her during her break, | 我休庭的时候去找找她 | 
| [15:26] | see if she’ll pull a rank over Judge Stevens. | 看她能不能跟Stevens法官说说情 | 
| [15:29] | I’m not optimistic but it’s, it’s worth a try. | 别报太大希望 不过值得一试 | 
| [15:33] | She’s the fairest judge going in. We get alone. | 她是最公正的法官 我们关系不错 | 
| [15:37] | Ok. Thanks. | 好的 谢谢 | 
| [15:39] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [15:42] | Bobby I want to apologize for… | Bobby 我想向你道歉 | 
| [15:47] | I never meant to jeopardize you. | 我绝不是有意连累你 | 
| [15:53] | You know that. | 你知道的 | 
| [15:56] | I do. | 我知道 | 
| [15:59] | Ok. Thanks again. | 谢谢 | 
| [16:13] | Under Massachusetts law, | 根据麻省的法律 | 
| [16:15] | officer Rydell suffers a permanent partial disability | Rydell警官患有永久性部分残疾 | 
| [16:18] | which constrains him from working in his selected field. | 致使他不能在所选行业里继续工作 | 
| [16:21] | Racism is not a recognised disability. | 种族歧视不属于被认可的残疾类型 | 
| [16:24] | The law recognizes much of its stress | 法律认可由于长期工作焦虑 | 
| [16:26] | produced by prolonged work related anxiety. | 所导致的压力 | 
| [16:28] | Mr Rydell did not suffer this condition of irrational discrimination | Rydell先生在就职于警局之前 | 
| [16:32] | based on race prior to his employment by the department. | 不存在基于种族的非理性歧视的情况 | 
| [16:37] | Mr. Rydell, you’ve been before this panel, haven’t you? | Rydell先生 你曾经来过这里 是吗 | 
| [16:41] | Yes, sir. | 是的 先生 | 
| [16:42] | That time I was trying to stay on the force. | 那次是为了保住工作 | 
| [16:44] | You took a bullet if I recall correctly. | 如果我没记错的话 你中过一枪 | 
| [16:46] | 9 years ago a stray shattered my knee cap. | 9年前 一颗散弹击碎了我的膝盖 | 
| [16:49] | They offered me the pension then, | 那时候他们同意让我提前退休 | 
| [16:50] | said that I wasn’t fit. | 说我不适合继续当警察了 | 
| [16:52] | I told them I wanna stay on the street. | 我跟他们说我希望继续工作 | 
| [16:54] | You recovered? | 你康复了吗 | 
| [16:55] | Yes, your honour, I have some pain, that’s all. | 是的 法官阁下 还有点痛 但基本上都好了 | 
| [16:57] | You know the implication of the claim you bring here today? | 你知道你这次申诉的影响和意义吗 | 
| [17:00] | I do. | 我知道 | 
| [17:01] | You’re going on record that the Boston Police Department, | 你是在白纸黑字地控诉波士顿警局 | 
| [17:04] | your department, our department, | 你的部门 我们的部门 | 
| [17:06] | turned you into a bigot? | 把你变成了一个种族主义者? | 
| [17:08] | The claim is that | 我们申诉的是 | 
| [17:09] | working the job has caused him to suffer racist tendencies. | 这份工作造成了他的种族歧视倾向 | 
| [17:13] | Nobody’s blaming the department. | 没有人在指责警局 | 
| [17:14] | The conclusion people will draw is obvious. | 可是公众显然不会这么看 | 
| [17:17] | And frankly Mr. Rydell, I am a little sickened by this petition. | 实话跟你说 Rydell先生 你的请求让我觉得反感 | 
| [17:20] | Let me tell you what sickens me, Mr Crane. | 告诉你什么让我反感 Crane先生 | 
| [17:22] | Last summer me and my partner were investigation an (BNE) call. | 去年夏天 我和我的搭档接到了一通报警电话 | 
| [17:26] | At the scene I see a man I think has a gun, a black man. | 在现场我看到一个人 一个黑人 我觉得他手里有枪 | 
| [17:30] | I opened fire, I killed him. | 于是我朝他开火 杀了他 | 
| [17:33] | He didn’t have a gun, Mr Crane. | 事实上 Crane先生 他没有枪 | 
| [17:34] | He had a lighter. | 他有的不过是个打火机 | 
| [17:36] | IAB determined it was an honest mistake and I was cleared. | 内务部认定这是一次无心之错 我被认定没有责任 | 
| [17:39] | This hearing, addresses issue of law, as it relates to your claim. | 这次听证只审查和你本次申诉有关的法律问题 | 
| [17:44] | This is symptomatic of his condition, and entirely relevant. | 这个是他残疾的表现之一 绝对有关联 | 
| [17:47] | Let him finish. | 让他说完 | 
| [17:48] | IAB let’s me off on perception of danger, | 内务部认定我主观上察觉有险情 判定我无责任 | 
| [17:51] | with mandatory stress recovery. | 同时要求强制参加心理治疗 | 
| [17:54] | During my sessions the psychiatrist… | 在治疗的过程中 心理医生… | 
| [18:00] | it started to become clear, | 我渐渐了解到 | 
| [18:02] | if this man with the lighter was white, would I fire on him? | 如果那个带打火机的人是个白人 我会开枪吗 | 
| [18:07] | It keeps coming up. He’s black, so I see a gun. | 我意识到 正因为他是黑人 所以我才以为他拿着枪 | 
| [18:12] | This man has a wife, two daughters, runs a shoe sho. | 这个人有妻子 两个女儿 开了间鞋店 | 
| [18:16] | He was the man who called in the B&E. | 是他报警说有人强行侵入住宅 | 
| [18:20] | Now as sure as I am sitting here, | 我现在非常确定 | 
| [18:22] | I know I was quick to pull the trigger because he was black. | 我之所以毫不犹豫地扣动扳机 就是因为他是黑人 | 
| [18:28] | I can’t tell another judge what to do. | 我不能对其他法官的工作指手画脚 | 
| [18:31] | You can talk to her. | 你可以跟她谈谈 | 
| [18:32] | And say what? | 谈什么 | 
| [18:34] | Your associate talked to a juror, | 你的同事跟陪审员交谈 | 
| [18:37] | they were wrong, Judge Steven was right. | 她们确实错了 Steven法官是对的 | 
| [18:40] | Technically. | “理论”上是这样 | 
| [18:41] | That’s the way we do things here, Bobby, technically. | 没错 我们的确就得按”理论”处理 Bobby | 
| [18:45] | Seven years ago, I had a client who raped and killed three children. | 七年前 我有个当事人强奸并杀害了三个儿童 | 
| [18:49] | The police coerced the confession out of him. | 在警察的逼供下他承认了罪行 | 
| [18:52] | I stood before a certain judge | 我站在某个法官面前 | 
| [18:53] | and I argued the confession be tossed on constitutional ground. | 辩护说由于违宪 他的认罪是无效的 | 
| [18:57] | The judge went by the book even though she knew he was guilty. | 那位法官照章办事 尽管她明知我的当事人是有罪的 | 
| [19:01] | She released the defendant on technical grounds. | 她根据”理论”释放了被告 | 
| [19:05] | Two weeks later, he killed another child. | 两周后 他又杀害了一个孩子 | 
| [19:11] | The lawyer cried for a week. | 那个律师哭了一个星期 | 
| [19:14] | And I suspect, the judge did too. | 我猜 那个法官也哭了 | 
| [19:18] | Are you comparing that case to this one? | 你把那个案子和现在这个相提并论? | 
| [19:21] | I’m suggesting, | 我是在提醒 | 
| [19:22] | doing what’s right by the book doesn’t always work. | 照章办事并不一定总是对的 | 
| [19:26] | And let me suggest to you | 那让我来提醒你 | 
| [19:27] | judges and lawyers take a oath to this judicial process, | 法官和律师都曾宣誓忠于这个司法制度 | 
| [19:31] | and that oath isn’t waive-able. | 这个誓言是不可以背弃的 | 
| [19:33] | We both need to cling to that, don’t we? | 我们都必须遵守这个誓言 不是吗 | 
| [19:36] | That case isn’t this case. | 那个案子和这个不一样 | 
| [19:38] | Both cases involve doing what is technically right | 两个案子都是关于”理论”上正确的行为 | 
| [19:41] | resulting in a greater injustice. | 却导致更大的不公 | 
| [19:45] | Ellenor Frutt and Lindsay Dole were both wrong, no dispute. | Ellenor和Lindsay都犯了错 我无意争辩 | 
| [19:49] | But to face disbarment, that, that is a much greater injustice. | 但是吊销律师执照 那是更严重的不公平 | 
| [19:58] | Bec, we need a quick check on Dr. Wolfman, | Bec 我们要赶快查下Wolfman医生的背景 | 
| [20:01] | our testifying shrink. | 就是为我们作证的那个心理医生 | 
| [20:03] | We don’t wanna be surprised by any skeletons. | 我不想到时候横生枝节 | 
| [20:05] | This is the psychiatrist that says racism is a handicap? | 是说种族歧视是种病的那个心理医生吗 | 
| [20:08] | Yeah. He has got good credentials, but just to be safe. | 对 他名声不错的 不过为了预防万一 | 
| [20:10] | Well I’m sure he’s legit. | 哦 我相信他不会出问题的 | 
| [20:13] | How’s the hearing going? | 听证顺利吗 | 
| [20:15] | What? | 什么 | 
| [20:16] | Oh, fine, things are proceeding well, | 哦 还好 进行的不错 | 
| [20:20] | it’s fine, excuse me. | 挺好的 不好意思 | 
| [20:33] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 | 
| [20:34] | What? Nothing. Why? | 什么 没事 为什么这么问 | 
| [20:38] | Because every time my eyes happen to catch yours, | 因为你每次看见我 | 
| [20:40] | you give me this look, like you killed my mother. | 你那副表情 就好像你杀了我老妈似的 | 
| [20:44] | Oh, I’m sure your mother’s fine. | 哦 你老妈好得很 | 
| [20:46] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
| [20:47] | It’s private. It’s got nothing to do with you. | 这是私事 跟你没关系 | 
| [20:50] | I mean, it does, but it’s not your business. | 我是说 虽然有点关系 但这不关你的事儿 | 
| [20:57] | I’m not telling you, Lindsay. | 我不会跟你说的 Lindsay | 
| [20:58] | Jimmy, if whatever this is has something to do with me as you say, | Jimmy 不管是什么事 只要跟我有关 | 
| [21:01] | you own me an explanation. | 你就有义务让我知道 | 
| [21:03] | You don’t wanna know this, trust me. | 你不会希望知道的 相信我 | 
| [21:05] | Tell me. | 快说 | 
| [21:06] | I’m not comfortable… | 我觉得不合适… | 
| [21:07] | Now. | 说 | 
| [21:11] | Ok. | 好吧 | 
| [21:13] | The other night, | 有天晚上 | 
| [21:17] | I kinda had this erotic dream. | 我貌似做了个春梦 | 
| [21:19] | we were both in it, we were both naked, nude, | 梦里有我们俩 我们都”坦诚相见” | 
| [21:24] | and you were very rigorous. | 而且你 你热情似火 | 
| [21:30] | See, I knew you wouldn’t wanna know. | 看 我就知道你不想听的 | 
| [21:34] | Well, I don’t think you have to feel guilty about a dream, Jimmy | 呃 我觉着你用不着为一个梦而产生罪恶感 Jimmy | 
| [21:38] | People dream. | 谁都会做梦的 | 
| [21:39] | I know, I know, but see, I got certain hang ups when it comes to sex. | 我知道 可是 对于性这个问题 我比较害羞 | 
| [21:44] | I see. | 这样啊 | 
| [21:46] | Whenever I have a relationship with a girl, | 每一次我和某个女子发生亲密关系后 | 
| [21:47] | it is hard for me to look at her | 我的天主教罪恶感 | 
| [21:49] | afterward on account of my Catholic guilt. | 都会让我觉得不好意思直面她 | 
| [21:52] | And in my mind, it is as if you and I had sex, and it was rigorous. | 在我心里 那个梦就跟真的一样 而且很激情 | 
| [22:02] | … and, when I got home, or, rather when I got to Doug’s home, | 然后我回家 准确地说是回到Doug家 | 
| [22:08] | the police were there. | 警察已经在那儿了 | 
| [22:09] | And, they told me my husband was dead. | 他们告诉我说 我丈夫死了 | 
| [22:13] | Mrs Wiggins, the autopsy revealed | Wiggins太太 验尸报告指出 | 
| [22:15] | your husband died from an overdose of Seconal. | 你丈夫死于过量服用萨可诺 | 
| [22:18] | The prescription for this drug was yours. | 这个药的处方是你名下的 | 
| [22:20] | Yes, I take Seconal for insomnia. | 是的 我因为失眠 所以服用萨可诺 | 
| [22:24] | Did you give this drug to your husband? | 你有没有把这个药给你丈夫 | 
| [22:25] | Of course not. | 当然没有 | 
| [22:27] | Do you have an explanation as to how he came to take it? | 那你能解释为什么他会服用这个药吗 | 
| [22:30] | Well, I could only guess that he was upset, | 呃 我只能猜测 他心里难受 | 
| [22:34] | and he either took some hoping to relieve his own anxiety, | 所以他要么吃药来缓解焦虑 | 
| [22:40] | and accidentally took too much, | 不小心吃多了 | 
| [22:42] | or maybe, maybe he did it on purpose. | 要么 要么他是故意的 | 
| [22:48] | So he grounded up, and mixed it with wine. | 于是他把药片磨碎 混在酒里面 | 
| [22:51] | Why would he do that? | 他为什么会这么做呢 | 
| [22:53] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [22:55] | How much money do you stand to inherit | 你可以从你丈夫的遗产里 | 
| [22:57] | from your husband’s estate? | 继承多少钱 | 
| [22:59] | I’m not exactly sure. | 我不是很清楚 | 
| [23:01] | Would it surprise you to learn it is 3.7 million? | 370万 这个数字让你吃惊吗 | 
| [23:03] | That’s sounds about right. | 有一点 | 
| [23:05] | If you and your late husband was divorced, | 如果离婚的话 | 
| [23:07] | do you know how much money you were entitled to | 你知不知道根据婚前协议 | 
| [23:08] | under the prenuptial agreement? | 你能得到多少钱 | 
| [23:10] | It was considerable less. | 要少得多 | 
| [23:12] | Considerably less, 410,000 dollars. | 少得多 只有41万 | 
| [23:15] | Did you murder your husband for his money? | 你是因为钱而谋杀你丈夫的吗 | 
| [23:16] | No, Sir, I did not. | 不 先生 我没杀他 | 
| [23:18] | You were at the movies when he died. | 他死的时候你在看电影 | 
| [23:20] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [23:22] | But by yourself. | 自己一个人 | 
| [23:22] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [23:23] | Anybody else see you there? | 有人看见你了吗 | 
| [23:26] | Nobody recognises me Mr Pratt. | 没有人认识我 Pratt先生 | 
| [23:29] | I suppose if I went today it would be different. | 我想如果我今天去看电影 情况会不一样 | 
| [23:31] | Mrs Wiggins you have to admit how this looks. | Wiggins太太 你得承认这看起来太可疑 | 
| [23:34] | You have the motives, the opportunity, | 你有作案动机和时机 | 
| [23:36] | you are the last one seen with your husband alive, | 你是最后见到你丈夫的人 | 
| [23:38] | and you have no alibi. | 你没有不在场证据 | 
| [23:39] | All you have here, is your words, isn’t it? | 你有的只是你的一己之词 是吗 | 
| [23:44] | I suppose that would be so. | 我想是吧 | 
| [23:45] | Are you good for your words, Mrs Wiggins? | 你是个言而有信的人吗 Wiggins太太 | 
| [23:47] | Are you somebody to trust? | 你是个值得信任的人吗 | 
| [23:49] | Objection. Argumentative and badgering | 反对 争议性提问 骚扰证人 | 
| [23:51] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [23:52] | Your honour? | 法官阁下 | 
| [23:53] | Overruled. Sit! | 反对无效 坐下 | 
| [23:54] | You lied to your husband for two years, didn’t you? | 你欺骗你丈夫长达两年 是吗 | 
| [23:59] | Did you not hear my question, M’am? | 你没听清我的问题吗 夫人 | 
| [24:01] | Did you not lied to | 你不是欺骗你丈夫 | 
| [24:02] | and continued to betray your husband’s trust for two years? | 并背叛他的信任整整两年吗 | 
| [24:04] | I’m not proud of deceiving my husband. | 欺骗我的丈夫 我觉得很难受 | 
| [24:07] | And he did trust you, didn’t he? | 他很信任你 是吗 | 
| [24:09] | I suppose he did. Yes. | 我想是的 | 
| [24:11] | I suppose if you were to offer him a glass of wine, | 我想如果你给他倒一杯酒 | 
| [24:12] | he’d gladly accept it without a second thought, wouldn’t he? | 他会毫不怀疑地 高高兴兴地接受 是吗 | 
| [24:15] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [24:16] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [24:17] | I didn’t kill him. I didn’t kill my husband. | 我没杀他 我没杀我丈夫 | 
| [24:21] | Yes, we have your word on that, your word of honour. | 是哦 我们应该相信你所说的 相信你的金口玉言 | 
| [24:28] | Officer Rydell suffers from a racism | Rydell警官患有种族歧视 | 
| [24:30] | that prohibits him from performing his job. | 致使他无法正常履行职责 | 
| [24:32] | Doctor, would you read the final paragraph of your evaluation. | 医生 你能读下你的评估报告最后一段吗 | 
| [24:41] | Officer Rydell’s irrational assumption that persons of color | Rydell警官的 “有色人种更容易伤害他人”的 | 
| [24:44] | are more likely to resent a physical threat | 非理性假设 | 
| [24:47] | makes him a hazard to himself, | 使他危害到他自己 | 
| [24:49] | his co-workers, and the citizens of the commonwealth. | 他的同事以及其他公民 | 
| [24:52] | Before recovery can begin, | 他康复的前提条件是 | 
| [24:53] | the subject must be removed | 他必须离开 | 
| [24:54] | from the situation that created the condition. | 造成他种族歧视的环境 | 
| [24:57] | thank you, doctor. | 谢谢 医生 | 
| [24:58] | Doctor, in your report you use this word “irrational”, | 医生 你的评估报告里面”非理性”这个词 | 
| [25:02] | that have a special psychiatric meaning? | 有特定的心理学含义吗 | 
| [25:05] | It means the patient responds inappropriately | 意指患者对于现实情况 | 
| [25:08] | to real world conditions. | 产生不合适的反应 | 
| [25:10] | If a child is punished by his parent in a garage, for example, | 譬如 如果一个孩子常常在车库里被父母体罚 | 
| [25:13] | he may have an irrational fear of cars. | 他可能会对汽车产生非理性的恐惧 | 
| [25:16] | What if it is rational to believe that | 他觉得有色人种危害性更大 | 
| [25:18] | he has more danger coming from persons of color? | 如果这个念头是理性的呢 | 
| [25:23] | from your experience? | 所积累的经验和教训呢 | 
| [25:23] | If that’s the lesson learnt from years on the street, | 如果那是多年在街头巡逻 | 
| [25:24] | Then I feel the Boston Police Department | 如果那样的话 我认为波士顿警局 | 
| [25:26] | has a serious institutional problem. | 存在严重的制度性问题 | 
| [25:31] | I’d like to quote from someone who’s not an officer, | 我想引用一个非警员说过的话 | 
| [25:34] | a man of color, in fact. Rav. Jessie Jackson, | 一位非白人 Jessie Jackson说过的话 | 
| [25:38] | Wall Street Journal, Dec 17, 1993, | 引自1993年12月17号的华尔街日报 | 
| [25:43] | “there is nothing more painful to me at this stage of my life, | “在人生此阶段 对我而言最痛苦的事情” | 
| [25:47] | than to walk down the street, | “莫过于走在街上 | 
| [25:48] | and hear footsteps, and start to thinking about robbery, | 听到脚步声 担心被打劫” | 
| [25:51] | then look around to see someone white and feel relieved. “ | “然后回头看到来者是个白人而暗松一口气” | 
| [25:55] | Would that statement make Jessie Jackson irrational or prejudiced? | 这句话能证明Jessie Jackson是非理性或者歧视吗 | 
| [25:59] | I’ve never treated Jessie Jackson. | 我没有治疗过Jessie Jackson | 
| [26:02] | I would say, however, | 但是我可以说 | 
| [26:04] | an idea can be widely held | 一个被广为接受的观念 | 
| [26:06] | and still constitutes a psychiatric condition. | 仍然可能是一种心理疾病 | 
| [26:09] | I take issue, with the suggestion that Mr Rydell’s idea | 你是说波士顿警局普遍具有歧视情结 | 
| [26:13] | is widely held by the Boston Police Department. | 我对你的说法表示异议 | 
| [26:16] | And I take issue with your automatic rejection of that suggestion. | 我对于你不假思索的否认同样表示异议 | 
| [26:20] | The issue is, | 我们要解决的问题在于 | 
| [26:21] | whether officer Rydell has a diagnosable condition | Rydell警官是否患有可诊断的疾病 | 
| [26:24] | and whether that condition is job related. | 以及该疾病是否因工作而引起 | 
| [26:27] | So let’s keep the debate right there, shall we? | 我们的辩论要围绕这个主题 好吗 | 
| [26:33] | I think you got a shot. I really do. | 我觉得你胜算很大 我真这么想 | 
| [26:35] | With that panel, don’t hold your breath. | 这样的委员会 别抱太大期望 | 
| [26:37] | That Adams guy was hanging on every word. | 那个叫Adams的在专心倾听每句话 | 
| [26:40] | Case going well? | 案子进行的咋样 | 
| [26:47] | Don’t judge me, Rebecca. | 别对我有成见 Rebecca | 
| [26:49] | I’m judging your client. | 我是对你的当事人有成见 | 
| [26:50] | I’m not defending a man. | 我不是在为某个人辩护 | 
| [26:52] | I’m representing the idea | 我是为了证明 | 
| [26:53] | that racism could be a sickness in that department. | 种族歧视在警局可能已经泛滥成疾 | 
| [26:56] | How many times have you been pulled over | 你有多少次因为没开车牌灯 | 
| [26:57] | because your license plate light was out? | 而被警察拦下来 | 
| [26:59] | Too many. | 太多次了 | 
| [27:00] | And you were yanked at and beaten up once | 你还曾因为符合某个罪犯的大体描述 | 
| [27:02] | for fitting the general description, remember? | 而被警察扭打 记得不 | 
| [27:04] | This isn’t about that. | 这些跟案子都没关系 | 
| [27:05] | Maybe not. | 也许是没关系 | 
| [27:06] | But the idea that the cop who did that | 但是一想到有个警察干过这种事 | 
| [27:08] | could get disability pay and early pension | 居然还可以得到残疾赔偿 提前领取养老金 | 
| [27:11] | makes me a little sick. | 我就觉得反胃 | 
| [27:22] | Would you please stop this? | 你还有完没完? | 
| [27:24] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [27:27] | Look, you know, I know it was just a dream, I know this. | 呃 我知道这只是个梦 我知道 | 
| [27:33] | But, first time I ever hit the home run with the middle league, | 但是我还记得我的第一次罗曼史 | 
| [27:37] | I had a dream the night before. | 头天晚上我也做了个梦 | 
| [27:39] | Sometimes my dreams can be like omens. | 有时候我的梦就跟预言一样准 | 
| [27:43] | You think maybe, I don’t know, | 你说 有没有可能 呃 | 
| [27:45] | after work WE go for a drink sometimes? | 我能约你哪天下班后喝一杯吗 | 
| [27:51] | Do you mind ****? | 你需要考虑一下吗 | 
| [27:55] | Jimmy, since we worked together, | Jimmy 既然我们是同事 | 
| [27:59] | I don’t think it would be a good idea. | 我觉得这不太合适 | 
| [28:01] | We should keep things completely professional. | 我们应该保持纯粹职业性的关系 | 
| [28:04] | Yeah. You’re probably right. Well, that’d be right. | 对 我想你是对的 没问题 | 
| [28:16] | Can I ask you one thing? | 我能再问你一个问题吗 | 
| [28:17] | Sure. | 当然 | 
| [28:19] | You ever dreamed about me? | 你有没有梦到过我 | 
| [28:22] | Err, I don’t really remember my dreams. | 呃 我通常记不住我的梦 | 
| [28:26] | And I suspect, knowing myself, | 不过根据我对自己的了解 | 
| [28:29] | I probably tried to keep my dreams professional, too. | 我想我会尽量保证我的梦也职业化 | 
| [28:33] | Yeah. Well.Anyway, I thought I’d ask. | 嗯 对 我只是想问问 | 
| [28:39] | You’re a very supple person. | 你是个非常随和的人 | 
| [28:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [28:45] | I just don’t understand. | 我真想不通 | 
| [28:48] | If he were planning on taking a medication, | 如果他要吃药的话 | 
| [28:50] | why wouldn’t he just swallow the pills, | 他直接吃不就好了 | 
| [28:52] | why would he grind them up and mix them with wine? | 为什么要把药片磨成粉溶到酒里服用呢 | 
| [28:56] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [28:57] | So, after your husband took the poison and became unconscious, | 那么 你丈夫服毒不省人事后 | 
| [29:01] | did you and Mr Forsythe carry him to the bathroom, | 你和Forsythe先生是一起把他抬到浴室 | 
| [29:03] | take off his clothes and put him in the bathtub? | 脱下衣服 放到浴缸里的吗 | 
| [29:05] | – Objection! – Objection! | -反对 -反对 | 
| [29:06] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [29:08] | Mrs Wiggins, I have one last question. | Wiggins太太 我还有最后一个问题 | 
| [29:10] | When the police informed you that | 当警察告诉你 | 
| [29:11] | your husband of twelve years was dead, did you cry? | 你结婚12年的丈夫去世了 你哭了吗 | 
| [29:16] | I, I think I was in shock. | 我 我想我当时吓呆了 | 
| [29:21] | You didn’t cry, did you? | 你没哭 对不对 | 
| [29:23] | Not when the police were in there, maybe. | 也许没有当着警察的面哭 | 
| [29:26] | But, after they left, I did. | 但是当他们离开以后 我哭了的 | 
| [29:28] | When it looked like you were going to get caught. | 当你觉得会被逮住的时候 你就哭了 | 
| [29:30] | – Objection. – Move to strike. | -反对 -请求不予记录 | 
| [29:31] | Sustained. Get on with it. | 反对有效 继续 | 
| [29:33] | Did you ask the police how he died? | 你有没有问警察 他是怎么死的 | 
| [29:35] | Of course I did. | 我当然问了 | 
| [29:36] | Really? The detective don’t remember you asking. | 是吗 可是警察一点都不记得你问过 | 
| [29:38] | Well, I did! | 我问了 | 
| [29:40] | Ok. If you say so. | 好吧 既然你这么说 | 
| [29:42] | We’ll just have to accept that, on your word. | 我们只能相信你 相信你的话 | 
| [29:46] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 | 
| [29:49] | Any redirect, Ms Westler? | Westler小姐 还有什么要问的么 | 
| [29:51] | No, your honour. | 没有了 法官阁下 | 
| [29:52] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退席了 | 
| [29:54] | Wait, your honour, I’d like to ask a couple of questions. | 请等等 法官阁下 我有几个问题要问 | 
| [30:00] | Whatever I do, stay still and don’t react. | 不管我做什么 你都呆着别动 不要管 | 
| [30:03] | What what’s going on? | 你打算干嘛 | 
| [30:04] | I’m your lawyer, I know what i’m doing, don’t react. | 我是你的律师 我知道自己在做什么 你别管 | 
| [30:11] | Mary Jane, just a few things I’d like to clear up, | Mary Jane 有几件事我想弄清楚 | 
| [30:15] | because I suddenly become troubled by your testimony. | 因为你的证词突然让我很困惑 | 
| [30:19] | You met with your lawyer three days | 你丈夫死前三天 | 
| [30:21] | before your husband’s death, did you not? | 你去见过你的私人律师 是不是 | 
| [30:24] | Maybe I did. I met with him a lot. | 大概是 我经常见他 | 
| [30:26] | Yea. But on this meeting, | 可是这一次 | 
| [30:28] | he discussed the terms of the prenup, didn’t he? | 他跟你提过婚前协议的条款 是吗 | 
| [30:32] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [30:33] | And those terms are unfavorable as Mrs Pratt pointed out. | 正如Pratt先生指出的一样 那些条款对你很不利 | 
| [30:37] | I didn’t really care about the prenup and my husband’s money. | 我根本不关心什么婚前协议 或者我丈夫的财产 | 
| [30:40] | Nah, that’s a lie, isn’t it? | 才不是 你说谎 不是吗 | 
| [30:42] | Objection! | 反对 | 
| [30:43] | Hostile witness, judge! | 敌意证人 法官 | 
| [30:44] | Conference. | 要求上前讨论 | 
| [30:45] | I wanna ask this witness question, now, | 我要求立即对证人发问 | 
| [30:47] | before she has time to think up answers. | 在她有时间编造答案之前 | 
| [30:49] | Move to strike that. | 请求不予记录 | 
| [30:50] | Get up here, all of you. | 到前面来 你们都过来 | 
| [30:59] | What the hell is going on here? | 到底怎么回事 | 
| [31:00] | I’m entitled to ask questions. | 我有权盘问证人 | 
| [31:02] | You are co-counsel for the client… | 你是这位当事人的共同辩护人 | 
| [31:03] | And your client’s story doesn’t serve the interest of my client. | 你当事人的证词对我的当事人不利 | 
| [31:05] | – This is unfair surprise. – I’m not the prosecution. | -这是不当突袭 -我又不是检方 | 
| [31:07] | Be quiet. | 肃静 | 
| [31:08] | We should suspend right now. | 我要求马上休庭 | 
| [31:09] | I said be quiet. | 我说肃静 | 
| [31:10] | He has the right to ask questions, you can redirect. | 他有权提问 你也可以继续发问 | 
| [31:13] | I knew nothing about this. | 我对此完全不知情 | 
| [31:14] | Neither did I until a minute ago. | 一分钟之前我也不知情 | 
| [31:16] | He is blindsiding me. | 他这是在暗算我 | 
| [31:17] | The reason this client has a lawyer | 每个当事人都有各自的律师 | 
| [31:19] | is because there may be conflicts of interests. | 就是因为有可能出现利益冲突 | 
| [31:20] | What the hell is this? | 这到底是怎么一回事 | 
| [31:22] | Stop it. | 都住口 | 
| [31:22] | I move for immediate mis-trial. | 我要求马上宣布无效审判 | 
| [31:24] | Denied. | 驳回 | 
| [31:25] | Your honour! | 法官阁下 | 
| [31:26] | Be quiet. Step back, and let’s get on with it. | 肃静 退下 我们继续审理 | 
| [31:33] | I’d like to remind the jury, | 我需要提醒陪审团 | 
| [31:35] | that Mr Donnell is the counsel for Mr Forsythe only. | Donnell先生只是Forsythe先生的辩护律师 | 
| [31:39] | He does not represent Mrs Wiggins. Proceed. | 他不为Wiggins太太辩护 继续 | 
| [31:42] | Mary Jane, after you met with your lawyer | Mary Jane 你和律师见面后 | 
| [31:46] | did you decide divorce is not in your best interest? | 是不是觉得离婚并不是最好的选择 | 
| [31:50] | I certainly did not decide that. | 我当然没有这么决定 | 
| [31:52] | Did you go to Mr Forsythe and tell him | 你有没有跟Forsythe先生说 | 
| [31:54] | that you suddenly wanted to get back with your husband, | 你突然想回到你丈夫身边 | 
| [31:57] | didn’t you tell him that? | 有吗 | 
| [31:58] | Not in that context, arhh, | 不是在这样的背景下说的 呃 | 
| [32:01] | I was.. I couldn’t bear hurting him! | 我 我不忍心伤害我的丈夫 | 
| [32:06] | Couldn’t bear hurting him? | 不忍心伤害他? | 
| [32:09] | Are you telling this court | 你是说 | 
| [32:10] | you cheated on your husband for 2 yrs, told him it was over, | 你骗了他两年并提出分手 | 
| [32:14] | then suddenly after meeting with your lawyer | 但在见了你的律师后 | 
| [32:15] | where you were informed you’ll be off 3 million dollars | 他告诉你离婚的话你会损失300万 | 
| [32:18] | you suddenly didn’t want to hurt your poor husband? | 你突然不想伤害你可怜的丈夫了? | 
| [32:20] | Objection! | 反对 | 
| [32:21] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [32:22] | You did try to get back to him, didn’t you Mary Jane? | 你确实试图回到他身边 是吗 Mary Jane | 
| [32:25] | And the thought of losing all that money… | 一想到你会损失那么多钱… | 
| [32:27] | Move to strike that! | 请求不予记录 | 
| [32:28] | Counsel, I don’t want to tell you again! | 辩护律师 我不想再重复 | 
| [32:30] | But he wouldn’t take you back. | 可是他不要你了 | 
| [32:32] | So you killed him. | 所以你杀了他 | 
| [32:34] | I did not! | 我没有 | 
| [32:35] | As an officer of this court I can no longer escape the truth. | 作为一名法律人 我没法再逃避事实 | 
| [32:38] | This woman poisoned her husband. | 这个女人毒死了他的丈夫 | 
| [32:41] | You gotta be kidding me. | 你开什么玩笑 | 
| [32:42] | That remark is stricken! | 这个结论无效 | 
| [32:45] | It was a lie. | 那是个谎言 | 
| [32:46] | -It wasn’t a lie. | 不是谎言 | 
| [32:46] | It has nothing to do with his money. | 这跟钱没关系 | 
| [32:48] | – You son of a bitch! – Listen to me. | -你个狗娘养的 -听我说 | 
| [32:49] | – You know! – Doug | -你早计划好了 -Doug | 
| [32:50] | – She’s gonna think I’m… – Doug! | -她会以为我… -Doug | 
| [32:51] | You made it look like I… | 你搞得我好像是在… | 
| [32:53] | Shut up! | 闭嘴 | 
| [32:55] | Look, we are facing a double conviction here. | 我们面临两个人都被定罪的风险 | 
| [32:59] | She’s getting hard pulled like a based whale up there, | 她就跟个搁浅的鲸鱼似的任人摆布 | 
| [33:01] | our only chance here is this! | 这是我们唯一的机会 | 
| [33:03] | I had to turn against her. | 我只能把矛头指向她 | 
| [33:05] | You sacrificed her. | 你把她牺牲掉了 | 
| [33:06] | she’s not my client. You are. | 她不是我的当事人 你才是 | 
| [33:09] | One bustard | 混蛋 | 
| [33:10] | that’s the most despicable thing I’ve ever seen anyone do. | 那是我见过最无耻的行径 | 
| [33:12] | Calm down. | 冷静 | 
| [33:13] | No, I’m not gonna calm down, you lied to me! | 冷静你个头 你耍我 | 
| [33:14] | Look, I did what I have to do to save my client, | 我只是在尽力救我的当事人 | 
| [33:16] | and it may have saved yours. | 顺便可能也救了你的当事人 | 
| [33:17] | First, I didn’t plan it, it was a last second… | 首先 我并没有预谋 我是临时决定的 | 
| [33:19] | we were probably dead, we still are. | 我们当时差不多死定了 现在仍然是 | 
| [33:22] | And Mary Jane is definitely more dead now, isn’t she? | 那Mary Jane现在已经死了 不是吗 | 
| [33:24] | I represent him! | 我代表的是他 | 
| [33:25] | Oh, kill yourself. | 去死吧你 | 
| [33:26] | You want to turn around and point a finger at him, go ahead! | 你要是想转过头来指责我的当事人 请便 | 
| [33:29] | I almost welcome it. | 我巴不得你这么做 | 
| [33:30] | What? | 什么 | 
| [33:31] | If we start accusing each other, | 如果我们现在转而互相指责 | 
| [33:33] | the jury may think they have to pick one or the other, | 陪审团会觉得两个嫌犯中只有一个有罪 | 
| [33:35] | and they couldn’t possibly. | 而他们没法确定是哪一个 | 
| [33:37] | You did it, she did it, you both did it, neither did it, | 你杀的 她杀的 一起杀的 谁都没杀 | 
| [33:39] | it all adds up to reasonable doubt. | 这些都构成合理怀疑 | 
| [33:41] | What I did there was desperate, I know. | 我刚才的策略是铤而走险 我知道 | 
| [33:44] | But we are desperate. | 但我们已经被逼上绝路了 | 
| [33:46] | Everything is spinning right now, and that’s a plus. | 现在形势开始起变化了 有可能绝处逢生 | 
| [33:50] | Half an hour ago, everything was settled. | 而半个小时之前 一切都已经注定了 | 
| [33:52] | And it wasn’t settled for the better. | 而且注定是糟糕的结果 | 
| [33:57] | What’s in there for officer from deciding | “嘿 我想早三年退休 | 
| [34:00] | “hey, I don’t wanna do my last three years, | 就说我是个种族主义者吧 | 
| [34:02] | , i’ll just decide that i’m a racist | 我要提前领取养老金” | 
| [34:04] | so i’m collecting my pension early”? | 如果我们的警员这样想 怎么办 | 
| [34:06] | What’s stopping the police officers from claiming PTSD? | 跟处理创伤后应激障碍症一样 | 
| [34:10] | You have to prove it clinically. | 需要医生临床证明才可以 | 
| [34:12] | But you have to admit, counsel, even if racist were a disorder, | 但是你必须承认 即使种族歧视真的是种病 | 
| [34:16] | even it were caused by the job, | 即使这种病确实是因工作引起的 | 
| [34:18] | it’s contributory, | 当事人自己也有责任 | 
| [34:19] | he doesn’t get it like a flu! | 它不像感冒一样说得就得 | 
| [34:21] | He has to have some predisposition. | 肯定是他自己原本就有这样的倾向 | 
| [34:23] | This hearing is not about blame. | 这次听证不是为了指责谁 | 
| [34:26] | If he shot himself in the foot he would be the blame, | 如果他不小心射伤自己的脚 他自己有责任 | 
| [34:28] | but it wouldn’t stop him from qualifying for disability. | 但不影响他认定残疾并领取养老金 | 
| [34:30] | This man has got a sickness. | 这个人病了 | 
| [34:33] | The evidence suggests he got it in the course of his duty. | 证据证明他的病是在工作中患上的 | 
| [34:35] | He came forward. If he’s penalised for it, | 他站出来承认病情 如果他为此遭受惩罚 | 
| [34:37] | the others out there, and there are others out there, | 其他那些人 确实还有这样的人 | 
| [34:41] | they won’t come forward. | 他们就不会再承认了 | 
| [34:42] | Still, to call it a disease? I don’t like it… | 即便如此 管这个叫疾病 我不喜欢… | 
| [34:46] | Then call it an epidemic. Who gives it a damn. | 那就叫它传染病 鬼在乎叫什么名字 | 
| [34:48] | Your department has got it. | 总之你们部门存在这个问题 | 
| [34:49] | I thought you just said this wasn’t about blame, counsel. | 你刚才还说不是为了指责谁 律师 | 
| [34:51] | It isn’t. But part of this… | 确实不是 但是一定程度上… | 
| [34:53] | Look. Look, I think we’d all agree that racism is a cancer. | 听着 我想我们都承认种族歧视就像癌症一样 | 
| [34:58] | You do whatever you can to rule out cancer and destroy it. | 你得竭尽所能消除它 摧毁它 | 
| [35:02] | The idea he killed a black man for carrying a cigarette lighter | 一个黑人因为带着打火机就被枪杀 | 
| [35:06] | is hateful of me. | 我觉得很可恶 | 
| [35:07] | The idea he’s trying to collect disability for | 杀人者要求因此获得残疾赔偿 | 
| [35:09] | it doesn’t make me feel any better, | 更让我厌恶 | 
| [35:11] | but the idea of him staying out on the streetS, | 但是让他继续执法 | 
| [35:12] | and others like him staying out there, | 让其他像他这样的人继续在街头执法 | 
| [35:14] | there can’t be anything more hateful like this, can there? | 还有比这更恶劣的吗 有吗 | 
| [35:18] | Again, I though you said this wasn’t about blame. | 再提醒一遍 你说过无关指责 | 
| [35:21] | Let’s just focus on.. | 让我们围绕着… | 
| [35:22] | Maybe we should all be blaming you, | 也许我们应该指责你 | 
| [35:25] | blame the institution that allows for people like him. | 指责允许像他这样的人存在的制度 | 
| [35:33] | Maybe, it’s time you all start owning some blame. | 也许是时候让你们都接受指责了 | 
| [35:56] | Nothing ties him to the scene. | 没有证据能证明他在犯罪现场 | 
| [35:58] | Yes, he was there earlier. | 确实 他之前去过那里 | 
| [36:00] | But she took the car to go to the movies. | 可是她开车去看电影了 | 
| [36:03] | The tyre prints from only one car were found at the house. | 被害者家门口只有一辆车的轮胎痕迹 | 
| [36:07] | It was her drugs, she wanted the money, | 致命的是她的药 她想要财产 | 
| [36:10] | she was desperate to keep that money… | 她不顾一切的想要保住她的钱 | 
| [36:12] | So desperate that he tried at the 11th hour to blame her. | 不顾一切的想抓住最后一丝机会嫁祸于她 | 
| [36:17] | He claims he loves this woman. | 他声称爱这个女人 | 
| [36:19] | But then, in a d***ly attempt, on the last day of the trial, | 可是却在审判最后一天 | 
| [36:23] | he points the finger at her. | 把责任推给她 | 
| [36:26] | And what about accident? What about suicide? | 有没有可能是意外呢 或者自杀呢 | 
| [36:30] | The prosecution couldn’t medically rule out either, could they? | 检方不能通过医学手段排除这两种可能性 不是吗 | 
| [36:34] | She did it, he did it, no, suicide, accident, | 她干的 他干的 哦不 是自杀 是意外 | 
| [36:38] | she included everything but act of God. | 她就差没有说是上帝的旨意了 | 
| [36:41] | It’s all a ploy of spin. | 不过是他们辩护策略罢了 | 
| [36:45] | They figured by suddenly going at each other, | 他们以为在这个时候互相指责 | 
| [36:47] | you are gonna go | 你们会觉得 | 
| [36:48] | “whoa, it’s no conspiracy after all”. | 哦 至少他们不是合谋 | 
| [36:52] | So who’s guilty? | 那么谁有罪呢 | 
| [36:53] | Which one? Can’t be sure, must be reasonable doubt. | 哪一个 没法确定 显然存在合理怀疑 | 
| [36:58] | Don’t fall for this. Don’t you dare fall for this. | 别被他们的这个小花招骗了 千万不要 | 
| [37:17] | The likelihood is that every police force in the country | 不可否认 这个国家所有的警察 | 
| [37:20] | discriminates against minority suspects, | 可能都会歧视少数族裔的嫌犯 | 
| [37:24] | sometimes in obvious ways, sometimes not. | 有些比较明显 有些则不那么明显 | 
| [37:27] | There is even the possibility that the job could even breed racism. | 甚至有可能确实是这份工作本身造成了种族歧视 | 
| [37:31] | The defence of the police department however, I would say, | 不过让我来为警察部门辩护一下 | 
| [37:34] | that disparate treatment is not better, | 司法部门的风气也没好到哪儿去 | 
| [37:35] | maybe even worse, in the justice system. | 说不定还更差 | 
| [37:38] | You might consider that, Mr Young, when you tide the knot | Young先生 你每天早上打领带 | 
| [37:40] | on your tie every morning preparing to go to work in your law firm. | 准备上班的时候可能就会想到这点 | 
| [37:44] | You’re accusing me, judge? | 你是在指责我 法官阁下? | 
| [37:45] | I’m suggesting, that if this is a battle you wanna fight, | 我想表达的是 如果你要向种族歧视宣战 | 
| [37:50] | you need to look no further than your own back yard. | 请先管好自己的后院 | 
| [37:53] | Well, today, we’re in your yard. | 可是今天 我们是在你们的后院 | 
| [37:56] | The issue here, as you’ve stated, | 正如你所说的 核心的问题在于 | 
| [37:59] | however contrary to your agenda, is whether this man | 我们要确定Rydell警官 | 
| [38:02] | has a disability that qualifies him for an early pension. | 是否有残疾 并使他有资格提前领取养老金 | 
| [38:07] | Mr. Rydell, we salute your coming forward. | Rydell警官 我们敬佩你正视问题的勇气 | 
| [38:09] | We admire your willingness to get help for an attitude | 我们也欣赏你为纠正自己的态度付出的努力 | 
| [38:12] | that most officers would deny having. | 大多数警员甚至不愿意承认 | 
| [38:15] | And we hope other officers, should they suspect themselves | 我们希望其他的警员 | 
| [38:17] | of being so prejudiced that they pose a danger on the force, | 如果发现自己有这种危险的歧视倾向 | 
| [38:21] | would also choose to come forward. | 也要勇于承认 | 
| [38:23] | But when they do, | 但是当他们这么做的时候 | 
| [38:24] | this panel will not be rewarding them. | 我们不会奖励他们 | 
| [38:27] | You say what you want about the boss in the police department. | 你可以抱怨你的上司 | 
| [38:29] | We may have our share of racist officers, | 我们或许有些种族歧视的警官 | 
| [38:31] | but we will never be apologist for them. | 但我们绝不会为他们开脱 | 
| [38:36] | Your request for pension is denied. | 你关于养老金的请求被驳回 | 
| [38:38] | You wanna take something with you when you leave this room? | 如果你还想从这里得到点什么的话 | 
| [38:41] | Take this: | 我把我的话送给你 | 
| [38:43] | as bigots go, you’re one of the better ones. | 在种族主义者当中 你算是品格最好的之一 | 
| [38:46] | This matter is adjourned. | 本案审理终结 | 
| [38:51] | Interesting move, | 有意思的一步棋 | 
| [38:52] | ambushing your co-counsel like that in open court, | 当庭伏击你的搭档辩护律师 | 
| [38:56] | I can’t say i’ve ever seen it. | 我从来没见过这种事 | 
| [38:58] | I’m not sure it’ll have any effect. | 我也不知道这样做有没有用 | 
| [38:59] | Oh, but it already has. | 哦 已经有作用了 | 
| [39:02] | I prevailed upon Judge Stevens | 我说服Stevens法官 | 
| [39:04] | not to send your associates before the board of bar overseers. | 别把你的同事送去律师监督委员会 | 
| [39:08] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 | 
| [39:10] | Things don’t happen in a vacuum, Bobby. | 事情不是发生在真空当中 Bobby | 
| [39:12] | Maybe you have some inner compass | 也许你心里有个罗盘 | 
| [39:15] | that gives you clear directions, I don’t really know. | 可以明确地给你指明方向 我不知道你有没有 | 
| [39:19] | But if others tries to take directions from you, | 可是如果别人向你寻求方向 | 
| [39:22] | I have no doubt but they will be lost. | 我确信他们一定会迷失的 | 
| [39:25] | Bottom line, if Miss Frutt and Miss Dole | 重点是 如果Ellenor Frutt和Dole小姐 | 
| [39:27] | were taking cues from their senior partner, | 是从他们的资深合伙人那里学来的 | 
| [39:30] | it mitigate their offense. | 那么可以减轻她们的过错 | 
| [39:32] | Judge Stevens has agreed to recommend probation. | Stevens法官同意建议她俩缓期察看 | 
| [39:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [39:38] | Bobby, what you did yesterday was disgraceful. | Bobby 你昨天在庭上做得很不光彩 | 
| [39:41] | I have a client and a duty what am I supposed to… | 我要对我的当事人负责 我能怎么办… | 
| [39:43] | You have fifty clients, maybe more! | 你有50个当事人 或许更多 | 
| [39:47] | Meaning? | 我不懂 | 
| [39:47] | Meaning, when you step into a court room, | 意思是 当你踏上法庭的时候 | 
| [39:50] | you walk in with your reputation. | 你是带着你的名誉进去的 | 
| [39:52] | You compromise it, | 你损害自己的名誉 | 
| [39:53] | all your clients suffer. | 那你也损害了所有的当事人 | 
| [39:56] | I’ll be less likely to trust you now, | 比如说现在 我不像以前那么信任你了 | 
| [39:57] | and that hurts your next client. | 这直接影响到你的下一个当事人 | 
| [40:00] | Do you think any lawyer in this town | 你觉得现在城里还有哪个律师 | 
| [40:02] | would agree to have you as co-counsel now? | 愿意做你的辩护搭档 | 
| [40:05] | Do you think the DA would trust you to be straight with them? | 检察官还会信任你的真诚吗 | 
| [40:09] | A liar makes a lousy advocate. | 一个骗子成不了好的律师 | 
| [40:12] | You think I lied in there, | 你要是觉得我当时是在骗人的话 | 
| [40:13] | then throw me in contempt. | 可以判我监禁 | 
| [40:15] | So easy for you to sit up there wearing the rope. | 你穿着法袍坐在那里当然很轻松 | 
| [40:17] | I’m the guy with the client’s life in my hands. | 可我却要为当事人的性命负责 | 
| [40:21] | I’m speaking as someone who likes you, Bobby | Bobby 我是欣赏你才这样说 | 
| [40:24] | who always has. | 我一直欣赏你 | 
| [40:26] | That Gerold Braun trial, | 在Gerold Braun的案子里 | 
| [40:29] | standing up there arguing your client | 你为一个冷血杀人犯辩护说 | 
| [40:31] | was morally correct for having shot a man in cold blood. | 他在道德上是正当的 | 
| [40:36] | Have you lost you would’ve been admired | 如果你输了 你倒会赢得尊重 | 
| [40:39] | as a lawyer who put up a noble defence | 人们会认为你为当事人竭尽全力 | 
| [40:41] | who fought a good fight for the client. | 做出了高尚的辩护 | 
| [40:44] | But in victory, you’re despised. | 但是你赢了 便遭人们鄙视 | 
| [40:47] | That’s the way it works. | 人心就是这样 | 
| [40:49] | And now on the heels of the Brown trial, | 现在Braun的案子刚刚结束 | 
| [40:52] | putting a stunt fight like yesterday’s, | 你又来昨天这么一出 | 
| [40:55] | be careful Bobby, | 小心啊 Bobby | 
| [40:57] | if you lose your integrity in that room, you lose it all. | 在法庭上你要是输了诚信 你就满盘皆输了 | 
| [41:03] | I might not know everything. | 我并非无所不知 | 
| [41:06] | But I’ve been around long enough to know that. | 但是我有足够的阅历让我确信这一点 | 
| [41:14] | They have a verdict. | 裁决出来了 | 
| [41:16] | Oh, well, that was fast. | 哦 好的 真快 | 
| [41:19] | So, I guess this is where I see if you are a winner. | 我想是时候看看你到底能不能笑到最后了 | 
| [41:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [41:44] | The defendants will rise. | 被告请起立 | 
| [41:48] | Mdm Foreperson, has the jury reached its verdict? | Pearson女士 陪审团得出裁决结果了吗 | 
| [41:52] | We have. | 是的 | 
| [41:53] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 | 
| [41:54] | On the matter of Commonwealth vs. Douglas Forsythe, | 马萨诸塞州诉Douglas Forsythe一案 | 
| [41:58] | on the charge in the first degree, | 关于一级谋杀罪 | 
| [42:01] | we find the defendant | 我们判决被告 | 
| [42:03] | not guilty. | 无罪 | 
| [42:08] | On the matter of Commonwealth vs. Mary Jane Wiggins, | 马萨诸塞州诉Mary Jane Wiggins一案 | 
| [42:12] | on the charge of murder in the first degree, | 关于一级谋杀罪 | 
| [42:16] | we find the defendant | 我们判决被告 | 
| [42:18] | guilty. | 有罪 | 
| [42:22] | Members of the jury, this does complete your service. Thank you. | 陪审团的成员们 你们的工作结束了 谢谢 | 
| [42:26] | The court officers will take Mrs Wiggins into custody. | 法警请收押Wiggins夫人 | 
| [42:30] | Mr Forsythe you are free to go. | Forsythe先生 你自由了 | 
| [42:32] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [42:34] | Mary Jane Mary Jane. | |
| [42:59] | I’m sorry it didn’t work out. | 很遗憾我们没成功 | 
| [43:00] | I think we can close. | 我想只能到此为止了 | 
| [43:02] | Well, err, thanks. Thanks. | 嗯 是呃 谢谢 谢谢 | 
| [43:08] | Goodluck, Mr Rydell. | Rydell先生 祝你好运 | 
| [43:17] | Next time, you don’t wanna take a case, | 下次 你如果不想接案子的话 | 
| [43:20] | don’t take the case. Ok. | 就别接 好吗 | 
| [43:22] | Don’t be taking a client | 不要接了个当事人 | 
| [43:24] | that goes against whatever you’re trying to win, | 却违背所有你想争取的东西 | 
| [43:26] | when you should be trying to win for the client, | 应该是你为当事人争取他想要的东西 | 
| [43:29] | if you are gonna take the case. | 如果你真要接案子的话 | 
| [43:31] | I make myself clear? | 我表达清楚了吗 | 
| [43:33] | No. But I understand what you mean. | 没有 不过我懂你的意思 | 
| [43:45] | How can I be happy? | 我怎么可能高兴呢 | 
| [43:46] | I mean, I’m glad I got acquitted, don’t get me wrong. | 我是说 我当然乐意被判无罪 别误会 | 
| [43:50] | But, my God… | 但是 天啊 | 
| [43:52] | Doug, I told you, | Doug 我早告诉过你 | 
| [43:54] | my job was to defend you, to get you off. | 我的义务是为你辩护 让你脱罪 | 
| [43:57] | I’m sorry Mary Jane… | 很遗憾Mary Jane没能够 | 
| [43:58] | If they’ve acquitted me, | 既然他们可以判我无罪 | 
| [43:59] | maybe they were gonna find her not guilty, too. | 或许他们本来也会判她无罪呢 | 
| [44:02] | Maybe you convinced them. | 也许是你说服他们的 | 
| [44:04] | You don’t know that. | 你怎么知道 | 
| [44:05] | She’s going to jail for murder! | 她因为谋杀进了监狱 | 
| [44:06] | How can this be! | 这怎么可以 | 
| [44:08] | It can be like that, | 可以的 | 
| [44:09] | we said that it probably would be, don’t you listen? | 我们说过有这种可能性 你没听吗 | 
| [44:13] | We’ve been telling you, for God’s sake, | 看在上帝的份上 我们一直在说 | 
| [44:14] | you two were with him, it was her Seconal, not alibi! | 你俩最后见过他 她的安眠药 没有不在场证据 | 
| [44:17] | We are lucky you both didn’t go down. | 你俩没一起进监狱已经值得庆幸了 | 
| [44:19] | You know what Doug, | 要知道 Doug | 
| [44:20] | you love her, you don’t believe she could do this, | 尽管你爱她 你不相信是她杀的 | 
| [44:23] | but maybe she did. We don’t know. | 但也许就是她呢 我们都不知道 | 
| [44:26] | Nobody saw her at the movies. | 没人在电影院看到她 | 
| [44:27] | Maybe she went back there and she killed him. | 说不定她确实回去杀了他 | 
| [44:29] | No she didn’t. | 不 她没有 | 
| [44:30] | You weren’t there, maybe she did. | 你又不在那儿 也许就是她 | 
| [44:31] | Stop it. | 别说了 | 
| [44:32] | You can’t know for sure. | 你没法确定的 | 
| [44:33] | How did she carry the body to that bath, huh? | 她一个人怎么能把尸体抬到浴缸里 嗯 | 
| [44:35] | She would have to drag him, | 她只能拖着走 | 
| [44:36] | in which case there would be carpet fibres all over his clothes, | 那么他的衣服上应该全都是地毯纤维 | 
| [44:39] | there were no fibres. It had to be carrying. | 事实上一点纤维都没有 肯定是抬着走的 | 
| [44:51] | There were nothing introduced about carpet fibres. | 案件中从来没有提到地毯纤维 | 
| [44:56] | I never gave you the investigated report. | 我也从来没给你看过调查报告 | 
| [45:03] | Doug, did you, did you go back to that house? | Doug 你 你回去过那个房子吗 | 
| [45:10] | All I’m telling you, | 我只能告诉你 | 
| [45:15] | Mary Jane didn’t. | Mary Jane没有杀人 | 
| [45:17] | I know she didn’t. | 我知道她没有杀人 | 
| [45:36] | To be continued. | 未完待续 |