时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | We are live on the scene as the SWAT is arriving | 我们正在现场直播 特警队刚刚到达 |
[00:05] | -Quickly, sarge. -Detective. | -快点 警官 -警长 |
[00:08] | -Move, move, move. -Move. | -上 上 上 -上 |
[00:14] | Okay, here. Take the helmet. | 给你 戴上头盔 |
[00:15] | I don’t need the helmet. | 我不需要头盔 |
[00:17] | Shoot you in the chest but not the head? | 你以为他只会打你的胸口? 不打你的头? |
[00:19] | He’s not gonna shoot me. | 他不会对我开枪的 |
[00:20] | Why’s that? Professional courtesy? | 为什么 职业操守? |
[00:22] | I don’t have to do this. | 我没必要这么做 |
[00:23] | I’m not advising you to do it.The guy is nuts. | 我也不建议你这么做 这家伙是个疯子 |
[00:26] | My money, we’ll be carrying you out. | 我有预感 我们会把你抬出来 |
[00:28] | My money, you’re carrying him out. | 我有预感 你们会把他抬出来 |
[00:29] | That’s why I’m going in. | 所以我才愿意进去 |
[00:36] | Okay, Gordon. Your attorney is on his way in. | Gordon 你的律师马上进来 |
[00:40] | Gordon? Gordon? | |
[00:42] | It’s a witch hunt, Eugene.A witch hunt! | 这是政治迫害 Eugene 政治迫害 |
[00:45] | Yes. Well, the witch is surrounded,Gordon. | 是 但你已经被包围了 Gordon |
[00:48] | You gotta give it up. | 你必须投降 |
[00:53] | Can I take the tape off her mouth? | 我可以把她嘴上的胶带撕了吗 |
[00:55] | She cries. She plays the victim. | 她要叫喊 她假装受害者 |
[00:57] | She is a victim. | 她就是受害者 |
[00:58] | You broke into her home and took her hostage. | 你闯进她家里来 把她劫为人质 |
[01:00] | No, they chased me in here. They did this! | 不 是他们把我赶到这里来的 都是他们干的 |
[01:04] | I’d like to let this woman go. | 我想放了这位女士 |
[01:05] | No, you don’t! | 不 不行 |
[01:06] | Easy. | 放松点 |
[01:08] | Easy. Listen, | 放松点 听我说 |
[01:10] | now I’ve helped you before, let me help you now. | 我以前帮过你 让我再帮你一次 |
[01:14] | You can’t help me. I’m gonna die. | 你帮不了我 我死定了 |
[01:16] | They’ll either shoot me here | 他们要么在这里把我打死 |
[01:18] | or I’ll turn up hanging in my cell. | 要么我会吊死在牢房里 |
[01:20] | Apparent suicide. | 做成自杀的样子 |
[01:22] | They’ll get me. You can’t change it. | 他们不会放过我 你帮不上忙 |
[01:25] | You got the cards here, Gordon. | 你手上有牌 Gordon |
[01:27] | You’re the only one who knows where those children are. | 只有你知道孩子们在哪里 |
[01:30] | The police can’t shoot you. | 警察不能向你开枪 |
[01:31] | They need you, because you got the kids. | 他们需要你 因为孩子在你手上 |
[01:44] | But I don’t, Eugene. | 但是他们不在我手上 Eugene |
[01:48] | God has them now. | 他们在上帝那里 |
[01:53] | What? | 什么 |
[01:54] | They’re with God. | 他们跟上帝在一起 |
[01:57] | They’re in the arms of his loving joy. | 他们在他慈爱 欢乐的怀抱里 |
[02:50] | Move, move, move. | 上 上 上 |
[02:52] | The suspect’s lawyer has been in the house talking… | 嫌犯的律师一直在屋里谈判 |
[02:54] | The first thing we gotta do is survive. | 首先 我们要保命 |
[02:57] | That only happens by us walking out. | 要保命 我们就必须走出去 |
[02:58] | They’ll shoot me down like a wasp. | 他们会把我打成蜂窝 |
[03:00] | Look, we’ll walk out together. | 我们一起走出去 |
[03:02] | You and me, nice and easy. | 你和我 慢慢地 平静地 |
[03:05] | -No handcuffs! -They have to cuff you. | -不准拷我 -他们必须拷你 |
[03:09] | They’ll even push you down to the ground, but, hey… | 他们甚至会把你按倒在地 但是… 嘿 |
[03:12] | But you won’t get hurt if you don’t resist. | 但只要你不反抗 就不会受到伤害 |
[03:24] | Let’s do this. | 照我说的做 |
[03:28] | Put the gun on the floor. | 把枪放下 |
[03:33] | Hands in the air! Let me see them. Get them up. | 举起手来 让我看到 举起来 |
[03:39] | Come down the stairs. | 走下楼梯 |
[03:43] | Onto your knees. | 跪到地上 |
[03:44] | Just drop to your knees.Gordan,Nice and slow. | 跪到地上 Gordon 平静地 慢慢地 |
[03:46] | Go get him. Go. | 逮住他 上 |
[03:48] | -Get him, men. -Take him. | -逮住他 伙计们 -抓住他 |
[03:50] | Okay, get him out of here.Let’s go. Come on. | 好了 把他带走 收队 |
[03:59] | -What’s the mystery? | 什么事这么神秘 |
[04:00] | -Bobby, Senator Patanki’s assault trial. | Bobby Patanki参议员的人身侵犯案 |
[04:05] | I’d like you to second-chair. | 我想请你做协办律师 |
[04:07] | That trial started yesterday.I saw it on the news. | 那个案子昨天就开始了 我看到新闻了 |
[04:09] | If all goes according to plan,it’ll be over by Thursday. | 如果一切顺利 星期四就可以结束 |
[04:12] | You won’t have to do a damn thing. | 你什么事都不用做 |
[04:14] | But I haven’t been having a great week, Bobby. | 但是我这个星期不太顺利 Bobby |
[04:16] | And I could use some backup. | 所以我需要个帮手 |
[04:18] | What do you mean you’re not having a great week? | 什么叫做”你这个星期不太顺利” |
[04:20] | -Between you and me? -Of course. | -你知我知? -当然 |
[04:23] | Well, lately, I… | 呃 最近 我… |
[04:24] | I forget things. | 我记性不太好 |
[04:26] | It’s embarrassing to have to ask you to do this | 很不好意思 我不得不请你帮忙 |
[04:29] | but I’m a little nervous about going solo. | 但是我一个人做 心里有点发慌 |
[04:32] | Have you been to a doctor? | 你去看过医生吗 |
[04:33] | Yes. It’s not Alzheimer’s or anything like that. | 看过 不是老年痴呆症什么的 |
[04:36] | It’s just an old memory,they say, that’s acting its age. | 他们说 只是年纪大了 |
[04:39] | That’s all. And with all this media hype, I… | 仅此而已 这个案子被媒体大肆渲染 我… |
[04:42] | Well, I’d like some backup. | 呃 我需要帮手 |
[04:45] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[04:47] | I just need to get a file. | 我进来拿个文件 |
[04:49] | What file? | 什么文件 |
[04:53] | -Hi. Mr. Oz. -Hi. Yeah. | -嗨 Oz先生 -嗨 |
[04:55] | -I’m Lindsay Dole. -Well, Lindsay. | -我叫Lindsay Dole -你好 Lindsay |
[04:57] | I saw you walk by. | 我看到你从旁边走过 |
[04:58] | Bobby told me he worked with you once. | Bobby说他以前跟你共事 |
[04:59] | He’s told me all about you.I mean, not that he had to. | 他跟我说了很多你的事迹 其实他都用不着说 |
[05:02] | You’re a legend at Harvard. | 你在哈佛是个传奇人物 |
[05:03] | I’m sure you know that. | 相信你也知道 |
[05:05] | Harvard. You know, young lady, | 哈佛 小姑娘 |
[05:08] | Harvard is fine if you wanna do appellate work. | 如果你想做上诉案子 哈佛也不错 |
[05:10] | But if you wanna be a litigator | 但如果你想成为诉讼律师 |
[05:11] | l’ll take BU lawyers any day in the week. | 我会不假思索地找波士顿大学毕业的律师 |
[05:13] | They’re fighters. They’re scrappers. | 他们是斗士 他们是拳手 |
[05:15] | They’re hungry. | 他们充满饥饿感 |
[05:16] | I think it’s the chip they have on their shoulder | 我想他们是因为没有被哈佛挑中 |
[05:19] | from not being accepted into Harvard. | 而心怀怨恨 |
[05:21] | I’m gonna be co-counseling the Patanki assault trial. | 我要参加辩护Patanki的人身伤害案 |
[05:24] | The state senator? I thought that trial’s already started. | 那个州议员? 我还以为那个案子已经开审了 |
[05:26] | Now I’m jumping in. | 我中途加入 |
[05:27] | So we need to switch the Tamarack deposition. | 所以我们要重新安排Tamarack的证言笔录 |
[05:30] | Can I come too? I can switch my schedule around. | 我能加入吗 我可以调整我的工作安排 |
[05:32] | It’d be an honor just to be at your table. Can I? | 能在法庭上坐在你旁边就是我的荣誉 可以吗 |
[05:38] | Goodbye. If I even see a glimpse of anybody… | 再见 别让我看到有任何人影出现 |
[05:47] | The children were seen with you. | 有人看到孩子们跟你在一起 |
[05:50] | If that turns out to be their bloodin your car, | 如果检验结果证实你车里的血是他们的 |
[05:52] | you’re a goner, Gordon. | 那你就完了 Gordon |
[05:53] | In my opinion, it’s time to play nice. | 依我看 你现在应该合作一点 |
[05:56] | Please don’t talk to me like I’m a 3-year-old. | 拜托 不要把我当三岁小孩 |
[05:58] | I don’t play nice with 3-year-olds, Eugene, | 我玩过三岁小孩 Eugene |
[06:00] | that’s why I’m here. So don’t talk to me like a child. | 所以我才被关在这里 所以 别把我当小孩 |
[06:03] | I’m talking to you lawyer to client. | 我是律师 我把你当成当事人 |
[06:07] | Tell the police where the children are. | 告诉警方孩子们在哪里 |
[06:09] | What do I get out of it? What’s the deal? | 我能得到什么好处 他们开了什么条件? |
[06:12] | They reduce to manslaughter? Reckless endangerment? | 把指控降到非蓄谋杀人? 危害他人安全? |
[06:14] | Single life sentence.Parole would be a possibility. | 一个终身监禁 可能允许保释 |
[06:17] | Life. You’re cutting a deal to get me life? | 终身监禁 你跟他们达成协议判我终身监禁? |
[06:20] | You’re looking at double life.No parole. | 你可能被判两个终身监禁 不准保释 |
[06:22] | Why the hell would I cop to life? | 我他妈的为什么要同意终身监禁 |
[06:23] | You’re gonna cop to telling the police | 你要同意告诉警方 |
[06:26] | where you buried those boys. | 你把孩子们埋在哪里 |
[06:27] | You said God has those kids.That tells me you believe in God. | 你说孩子们在上帝那里 说明你信仰上帝 |
[06:30] | You gotta be afraid of what the Almighty has in store for you. | 你应该心存敬畏 想想万能的主会怎样对你 |
[06:33] | He’s vengeful. Let’s not forget that. Those little boys got parents. | 他是有仇必报的 别忘了 那些男孩还有父母 |
[06:37] | Let them bury their kids. | 让他们给自己的孩子半个葬礼 |
[06:44] | It’s not a lot of money.It’s the principle of the thing. | 钱其实不多 是原则问题 |
[06:46] | I wanna enforce the contract. | 我要求强制履行协议 |
[06:49] | What sort of public appearance was this? | 这跟公共形象有什么关系 |
[06:51] | It was the opening of a salon. | 是关于开办美容院的 |
[06:53] | It’s not a big case, Mr. Berluti. | 这不是什么大案子 Berluti先生 |
[06:58] | -What? -You’re… | -怎么了 -你是… |
[07:01] | You’re Jane Elaine. | 你是Jane Elaine |
[07:03] | I said that. | 我告诉过你啊 |
[07:06] | You’re Lila, from The Marooned. | 你是《蓝烟火》里的Lila |
[07:09] | Oh, that was a long time ago. | 哦 那是很早以前的事了 |
[07:13] | -Are you all right? -Oh, I’m fine. It’s just… | -你没事吧 -哦 没事 只是 |
[07:18] | It was my favorite TV show ever. | 那是我最喜欢的电视剧 |
[07:20] | I watched it every day. | 我当时每天都看 |
[07:22] | I still watch it in reruns. | 现在重播的时候 我还是会看 |
[07:25] | You’re Lila. | 你是Lila |
[07:28] | My real name is Jane. | 我的真名叫Jane |
[07:30] | Right. I’m sorry. | 是的 对不起 |
[07:33] | Okay, let’s talk about the case. | 行了 我们谈谈案子吧 |
[07:38] | For someone who’s made a career on the First Amendment… | 对于一个以第一修正案为职业生涯的人来说 |
[07:40] | this would be a departure. | 这是一种背弃 |
[07:42] | This isn’t about freedom of the press. | 这个案子与新闻自由无关 |
[07:44] | That photographer is no journalist. | 那个摄影师不是记者 |
[07:46] | But do you plan to take a hard-lineon the victim? Sir? | 你是否准备对受害者采取强硬态度 先生 |
[07:49] | The victim. Yes, I’m gonna be very gentle with the victim | 受害者 是啊 我会非常温和地对待受害者 |
[07:53] | my client. | 也就是我的当事人 |
[07:55] | -What’s that in your eye? -Excuse me? | -你眼睛里是什么 -你说什么 |
[07:58] | It’s me. | 是我 |
[08:02] | I’m in for a treat, aren’t I? | 我是纯粹来看他表演的 对吧 |
[08:03] | You have no idea. | 完全正确 |
[08:05] | Were you on the senator’s property? | 你当时是否进入了参议员的私人领地 |
[08:07] | I certainly was not. | 当然没有 |
[08:08] | I was on the sidewalk. | 我在人行道上 |
[08:10] | A public way, for the entire extent of taking them photos. | 整个拍照的过程中都在 那是公共道路 |
[08:13] | And at some point after Mr. Patanki asked you to stop? | 那么在Patanki先生要求你离开之后呢 |
[08:16] | Well, he sent his wife inside and she took the baby with her | 他叫她妻子进屋去 她带着孩子一起进去了 |
[08:20] | and then he approached me. | 然后他朝我走来 |
[08:21] | And what happened then, sir? | 然后发生了什么事 先生 |
[08:23] | Well, he snatched me camera. | 呃 他抢走我的照相机 |
[08:24] | He tried to open it up. | 他想把它打开 |
[08:26] | I presume it was to expose the film. | 我估计他是想让胶卷曝光 |
[08:28] | And I tried to get it back. | 我想把它抢回来 |
[08:30] | Excuse me. Could I ask the witnessto speak a little louder? | 对不起 可否请证人稍微大声点 |
[08:33] | I realize it might be my 82-year-old ears | 我知道可能是因为我是个82岁的老头子 |
[08:36] | but from where I’m sitting,he sounds like a weasel. | 在我坐的这个位置 他的声音听起来像只老鼠 |
[08:39] | Objection! | 反对 |
[08:41] | Oh, now there’s a man who speaks up. | 哦 现在终于听到人说话了 |
[08:43] | Mr. Oz. | Oz先生 |
[08:45] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[08:49] | What happened when you tried to retrieve the camera, Mr. Gibbons? | 你想夺回相机 然后发生了什么 Gibbons先生 |
[08:53] | We wrestled slightly. | 我们有些轻微的扭打 |
[08:56] | After that, he pushed me to the ground | 然后 他把我推倒在地 |
[08:58] | and then he kicked me in the head. | 然后他踢我的头 |
[09:00] | I put my hand to my face, my nose was broke | 我用手捂住脸 我的鼻子被打断了 |
[09:03] | and he kicked me again. | 然后他继续踢我 |
[09:06] | After that point,I lost consciousness. | 之后 我就失去知觉了 |
[09:07] | Next thing I know,I’m waking up in a hospital bed. | 当我醒来的时候 发现躺在医院的病床上 |
[09:11] | Mr. Gibbons, do you remember going to Senator Patanki’s home | Gibbons先生 你是否记得上个星期天下午 |
[09:14] | uninvited on this Sunday afternoon? | 你未经允许闯入Patanki议员的家里 |
[09:18] | Yeah. | 记得 |
[09:19] | And if your memory serves you correctly | 如果你没有记错 |
[09:21] | your mission was to obtain photographs of Senator Patanki | 你的任务是去拍Patanki议员 |
[09:25] | his new bride and their child? | 他的新婚妻子以及他们的孩子的照片 |
[09:30] | -That’s right. -For what purpose? | -是的 -拍来做什么 |
[09:32] | Was this a piece for The New York Times | 是提供给纽约时报 |
[09:35] | or The Washington Post? | 还是华盛顿邮报 |
[09:36] | Look, he’s a state senator. She’s a beautiful model. | 他是州参议员 他妻子是个漂亮的模特 |
[09:40] | People wanna know. People wanna see. | 人们想知道 人们都想看 |
[09:42] | You were planning to sell those photos to a scandal magazine | 你准备把那些照片以10万到20万的价格 |
[09:47] | for which you were to be paid between 10 and $20,000. | 卖给一份八卦杂志 |
[09:51] | Isn’t that true, Mr. Gibbons? | 是这样吗 Gibbons先生 |
[09:54] | Well, I don’t create the demand, | 人们想看 这个需求又不是我创造出来的 |
[09:56] | now do I, counsel? | 对吧 律师 |
[09:57] | Oh, of course you don’t. No. | 哦 当然不是你 不是 |
[09:59] | No, you perform a public service. | 不 你在从事公共服务 |
[10:02] | After all, this is news. | 毕竟 这是新闻 |
[10:04] | The senator shouldn’t expect to play with his child. | 参议员没有权利和自己的孩子玩耍 |
[10:09] | He shouldn’t expect to have the privacy of his own yard | 他别指望在自家院子里享有隐私权 |
[10:12] | because this is news. | 因为这是新闻 |
[10:14] | – Objection to the speech. -Speech? | -反对辩方律师发表演讲 -演讲? |
[10:16] | If learned counsel had ever heard me before | 如果这位资深的律师曾经听过我的庭审 |
[10:18] | he’d know that was no speech. | 他就知道这根本不叫演讲 |
[10:22] | What I do know is this is not the Raymond Oz Show here. | 我只知道 这里不是在开Raymond Oz秀 |
[10:25] | It could be | 如果你不干扰我 |
[10:26] | if you’d stop interrupting, young fellow. | 我可以把这里变成我的秀场 年轻人 |
[10:28] | Let’s just address the witness,counsel. | 我们还是把重点放在证人身上 律师 |
[10:31] | The witness. | 证人 |
[10:32] | Yes, the… | 对 证… |
[10:37] | The witness. | 证人 |
[10:51] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, you know… | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[10:54] | when a witness takes the stand | 当证人出庭作证的时候 |
[11:03] | he puts many things into evidence. | 他就将很多东西都呈现为证据 |
[11:05] | including his credibility and his demeanor | 包括他的品行 他的举止 |
[11:10] | and I think they’re just as important as his testimony. | 我认为这些与他的证词同样重要 |
[11:14] | I certainly do. | 我坚信这一点 |
[11:15] | And therefore, I’m going to beg the courts indulgence for a second. | 因此 我想请求法庭恩准我一点时间 |
[11:18] | Before I ask the witness my next question | 在我向证人提出下一个问题之前 |
[11:21] | l’m going to ask the jury to observe him. | 我要请陪审团用30秒时间 |
[11:25] | For 30 seconds. | 仔细地观察他 |
[11:28] | I want you to measure him. | 我要你们审视他 |
[11:29] | And I think you’ll be surprised at what you can see. | 我想你们会有意想不到的发现 |
[11:31] | Come on. | 得了吧 |
[11:32] | Thirty seconds, Your Honor. | 30秒 法官阁下 |
[11:34] | That’s all I ask. | 我只要求这么多 |
[11:36] | I’ll give you 20. | 我给你20秒 |
[11:51] | Bobby, who is he? | Bobby 他是谁 |
[11:55] | -What? -Witness. Who the hell is he? | -什么 -证人 该死的他是谁 |
[11:58] | The photographer. He took the pictures. | 摄影师 他拍了那些照片 |
[12:01] | Oh, Gibbons, yeah. | 哦 Gibbons 对 |
[12:04] | All right. | 好了 |
[12:06] | All right, Mr. Gibbons. | 好了 Gibbons先生 |
[12:07] | Now let’s you and me talk, shall we? | 我们继续询问 可以吗 |
[12:10] | Let’s talk a little bit about journalistic integrity. | 我们来谈谈新闻从业者的正直 |
[12:16] | Shall we? | 可以吗 |
[12:39] | He said both kids were together? | 他说两个孩子在一起? |
[12:42] | Yep. | 是的 |
[12:45] | Go over there. Just a little longer. | 就在那里 再过去一点 |
[12:58] | Oh, my baby! Oh, my God, my baby! | 哦 我的宝贝 哦 上帝啊 我的宝贝 |
[13:01] | I’m so sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[13:03] | My baby, no! | 我的宝贝 不 |
[13:04] | You had to bring the parents? | 你非把父母带来不可吗 |
[13:06] | I was supposed to tell them they had no right? | 难道我告诉他们不能来吗 |
[13:11] | Baby, no! | 宝贝 不 |
[13:15] | Sorry, sir. | 对不起 先生 |
[13:42] | We’ve got genocide going on in Rwanda. | 卢旺达正在发生大屠杀 |
[13:44] | And we’ve got the Kurdish factions routing each other every day. | 库尔德人的不同派别之间每天都在爆发骚乱 |
[13:48] | Of course, the news corporations give us updates, don’t they? | 当然 媒体向我们报道最新的情况 不是吗 |
[13:52] | He can still strut on both sides of the door. | 他仍然能够游刃有余 |
[13:54] | Princess Di’s love life | 戴妃的爱情史 |
[13:57] | Joanne, these memory lapses he told me about | Joanne 他跟我说的这种失忆的情况 |
[14:02] | Oh, they come and go. | 哦 偶尔发生 |
[14:04] | Most of the time, he’s fine. | 大多数时候 他都没问题 |
[14:05] | But when they hit… | 不过 一旦发生 |
[14:09] | He forgot who that witness was, didn’t he? | 他忘了那个证人是谁 对吧 |
[14:11] | You could tell? | 你看得出来? |
[14:12] | Only because he clenched his hands. | 因为他在握拳头 |
[14:15] | Most of the time,that’s the only way I can tell. | 大多数时候 我只能通过这个办法看出来 |
[14:17] | He makes these fists. | 他会把手握成拳 |
[14:19] | Joanne Joanne | |
[14:22] | level with me. | 跟我说实话 |
[14:26] | He had a slight stroke about a year ago. | 大约一年前 他有一次轻微的中风 |
[14:29] | The CAT scan showed something on the memory part of the brain. | CAT扫描显示大脑的记忆部分有点问题 |
[14:33] | Everything else, he’s okay. | 除此之外 他都正常 |
[14:36] | Yeah, Madonna’s abdomen. | 对 麦当娜的小腹 |
[14:38] | And then, of course,they videotape Jane Pauley | 当然 他们还拍Jane Pauley |
[14:41] | and Barbara Walters, fighting over who’s gonna release the news. | 和Barbara Walters 争抢头条新闻 |
[14:45] | We had a deal! | 我们达成了协议的 |
[14:46] | We’re going into court tomorrow. | 我们明天去法庭 |
[14:47] | How could they just renege like that? We had a deal! | 他们怎么能这样违反协议 我们有协议 |
[14:50] | Gordon, the coroner says the kids were sodomized. | Gordon 验尸官说孩子们被鸡奸过 |
[14:53] | The DA’s office isn’t too concerned about reneging. | 地检署不关心违不违约 |
[14:56] | What kind of lawyer are you? | 你算哪门子律师 |
[14:57] | We’re going into court.We’ll try to enforce the agreement | 我们去法庭 我们申请强制执行辩诉协议 |
[15:01] | Next time, I don’t tell. | 下次 我不会再告诉他们了 |
[15:02] | That’s the message here. Don’t tell. | 这就是教训 不告诉他们 |
[15:15] | The thing is the salon closed. | 问题是 美容院已经停业了 |
[15:16] | And the guy is kind of judgment-proof. | 而对方已经没有履行能力 |
[15:18] | So suing him wouldn’t make much sense. | 所以起诉他并没有多大意义 |
[15:20] | But he’s got this other venture capital thing going down | 不过 他正在做其它的风险投资 |
[15:23] | and he’s willing to give you stock options | 他同意给你股票期权 |
[15:25] | supposedly worth double. | 估计价值要高一倍 |
[15:27] | All right. | 好的 |
[15:28] | Good. | 好 |
[15:29] | Fine. | 好 |
[15:31] | Okay. | 行 |
[15:33] | How do we proceed? | 接下来我们做什么 |
[15:34] | Oh, we’ll wait out this stock thing. | 哦 我们等这个股票的事办完 |
[15:37] | And in the meantime, we’ll just touch. | 与此同时 我们保持接吻 |
[15:41] | Keep in touch. | 保持接触 |
[15:43] | Mr. Berluti, it’s…it’s okay. | Berluti先生 没… 没关系 |
[15:46] | What’s okay? | 什么没关系 |
[15:48] | Well, I know I was some sort of sexual icon to teenage boys back then. | 呃 我知道我当时算是少年们的性感偶像 |
[15:52] | You don’t have to apologize. | 你用不着道歉 |
[15:54] | Oh, good. I’m fine. | 哦 好 我没事 |
[15:57] | You know, growing up, | 你知道吗 在我成长的过程中 |
[15:59] | there was only three women that I… | 只有三个女人是我… |
[16:01] | You, Ginger and Mary Ann. | 你 Ginger和Mary Ann |
[16:05] | Oh, I shouldn’t have said that. | 哦 我真不该说这个 |
[16:06] | It’s okay. | 没关系 |
[16:08] | Let’s talk about the case. | 我们谈谈案子吧 |
[16:11] | I put myself in public life and I expect to be dogged by the press. | 我投身于公共生活 我知道会被媒体盯着 |
[16:15] | But when I’m at home | 但是我在家里的时候 |
[16:17] | am I expected to sacrifice my entire private life? | 难道我要牺牲全部的私人生活吗 |
[16:20] | Are my children fair game? | 这对我的孩子公平吗 |
[16:22] | Senator Patanki, | Patanki议员 |
[16:23] | do you really think it’s reasonable | 你觉得媒体也应该像普通人那样彬彬有礼吗 |
[16:26] | to hold the news media up to the standards of common decency? | 你举得这个要求合理吗 |
[16:31] | Objection. That’s argumentative. | 反对 这是争议性提问 |
[16:33] | -Sustained.-Objection. | -反对有效 -反对 |
[16:35] | -Sustained. -Mr. Oz, please. | -反对有效 -Oz先生 请遵守法庭秩序 |
[16:37] | Oh, sorry, Your Honor.He really is a little stinker, isn’t he? | 对不起 法官阁下 他真是个讨厌鬼 不是吗 |
[16:41] | -Objection! -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[16:43] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[16:46] | Sorry, Your Honor. | 对不起 法官阁下 |
[17:05] | Please. | 请 |
[17:07] | Proceed, sir. | 继续 先生 |
[17:09] | Well, I didn’t attack him. | 呃 不是我殴打他 |
[17:11] | We got into a wrestling match. I was trying to get his camera. | 我们先是有些拉扯 我想把他的相机夺过来 |
[17:14] | It turned into a fight. | 然后我们就打起来了 |
[17:15] | He swung, I swung… | 他一拳 我一拳 |
[17:17] | And it was a fight he was willing to participate in | 而且他也很想跟我打一架 |
[17:20] | until the moment he lost. | 直到他被我打败了 |
[17:21] | What were you really trying to win, sir? | 你努力保护的究竟是什么呢 先生 |
[17:23] | I think I was trying to win my right to privacy. | 我想我是要保护自己的隐私权 |
[17:27] | If we want our best people | 如果我们想鼓励最优秀的人才 |
[17:29] | to come forward and give themselves to public service | 出来投身于公共服务 |
[17:32] | and I believe we do | 我相信我们是这么想的 |
[17:34] | then how can we continue to let a mercenary press | 那我们怎么能让唯利是图的媒体 |
[17:37] | brutalize their individual freedoms | 粗暴地侵犯他们的个人自由 |
[17:39] | and the individual rights of their families? | 和他们家人的个人权利? |
[17:42] | For greed? For profit? | 因为贪婪? 因为利益? |
[17:46] | You didn’t know who he was, Raymond. | 你当时忘了他是谁 Raymond |
[17:49] | -That’s nonsense. -I was watching you. | -胡说 -我一直看着你 |
[17:52] | When you looked over at both tables, | 你看了看原被告两方的桌子 |
[17:53] | you saw the empty chair next to you. | 你发现自己旁边的椅子空着 |
[17:55] | quickly figured out the guy | 然后你很快地意识到 |
[17:56] | on the witness chair must be your client. | 证人席上站着的肯定是你的当事人 |
[17:58] | It was a very efficient direct. | 我的询问非常成功 |
[18:00] | I got everything I needed. | 完全达到了我的目的 |
[18:02] | But you didn’t know your own client. | 但是你不认识自己的当事人 |
[18:06] | Has this been going on since the stroke? | 是不是中风之后就一直这样 |
[18:11] | Joanne told me. | Joanne告诉我了 |
[18:15] | Short-term memory. | 只是短期记忆 |
[18:18] | Long-term memory is fine. | 长期记忆没有问题 |
[18:20] | And I know the reason. | 我知道原因所在 |
[18:21] | It’s when I digress with opposing counsel. | 是因为我跟对方律师说了些题外话 |
[18:24] | When I digress, I lose focus. | 这种时候 我就会忘了重点在哪里 |
[18:27] | I’m gonna cut out all the bantering and baiting. | 我以后不再调笑搞怪了 |
[18:30] | Of course, it’s my favorite part. | 当然 那是我的最爱 |
[18:36] | Raymond, maybe I should close. | Raymond 也许应该让我来做结案陈词 |
[18:37] | Oh, look, my friend. | 哦 朋友 |
[18:41] | When either of you see me commit malpractice | 如果你们俩发现我有执业过失 |
[18:45] | or if you see me losing a case that I should have won | 或者是要打输本来该赢的案子 |
[18:48] | then I want you to tell me to pack it in. I really do. | 那么我希望你们告诉我 叫我退出 真的 |
[18:53] | But that’s not gonna happen. | 但是这种事不会发生 |
[18:57] | Tell him, Lisa. | 告诉他 Lisa |
[18:59] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[19:04] | We should go to the judge. | 我们应该去找法官 |
[19:06] | And say what? | 跟他说什么 |
[19:07] | To everyone in that room, he’s doing great. | 在法庭上的每个人看来 他表现得很好 |
[19:09] | We’re officers of the court. | 我们是法律人 |
[19:11] | We know this lawyer forgets who witnesses are. | 我们明知道这个律师忘记了证人是谁 |
[19:13] | His own client. | 忘了他自己的当事人 |
[19:14] | Let’s just wait and see. | 我们等等看吧 |
[19:16] | Wait for what? Bobby, you love this man. | 等什么 Bobby 你喜欢这个人 |
[19:19] | But remember, we’re co-counsel on this case. | 但是别忘了 我们是这个案子的共同辩护人 |
[19:22] | Senator Patanki is our client too. | Patanki议员也是我们的当事人 |
[19:24] | Yeah. It may not be in his interest to take Raymond off. | 是 让Raymond退出可能对他不利 |
[19:27] | I think he’s winning. | 我认为他会赢 |
[19:29] | Even so, we gotta get this on record. | 即便如此 我们应该把这个问题记录在案 |
[19:32] | In my opinion, he’s doing okay. | 在我看来 他表现不错 |
[19:36] | He gave me my first job. | 是他给了我第一份工作 |
[19:38] | I might not even be a lawyer if… | 不然我可能根本不会成为律师 |
[19:44] | We’re not going to the judge. | 我们不去找法官 |
[19:49] | Not yet. | 至少现在不去 |
[19:52] | This is not about the nature of the crime. | 我们要讨论的不是犯罪的性质 |
[19:55] | It’s about a representation made by a DA to a defense lawyer. | 而是检察官向辩方律师提出的辩诉交易条件 |
[19:58] | An offer extended, then accepted by the defense lawyer… | 条件提出后 辩方律师接受了 |
[20:00] | No meeting of the minds, judge. | 没有达成合意 法官 |
[20:02] | No meeting of the minds? | 没有达成合意? |
[20:03] | In accordance with our express agreement | 根据协议的明确约定 |
[20:05] | my client directed him to the bodies. | 我的当事人带他找到了尸体 |
[20:07] | He willingly | 他自愿地 |
[20:10] | Revealed incriminating evidence | 呈交了犯罪的证据 |
[20:13] | in exchange for parole being included. | 以换取保释的可能性 |
[20:15] | No meeting of the minds, judge. | 没有达成合意 法官 |
[20:17] | We knew that the defendant had killed the children. | 我们只知道被告杀害了两个孩子 |
[20:20] | We did not know that they were sodomized before. | 但不知道他们之前被鸡奸过 |
[20:22] | That changes the elements. | 事实发生变化了 |
[20:23] | My client has a previous record of molestation. They certainly knew… | 我的当事人有猥亵的前科 他们当然知道… |
[20:26] | -We did not know. -All right, I’ve heard enough. | -我们不知道 -好了 我听清楚了 |
[20:29] | The defense motion is denied. | 驳回辩方的动议 |
[20:32] | Due to popular demand, ladies and gentlemen | 为了迎合大众 女士们先生们 |
[20:34] | we’re gonna say screw the normal procedure this time | 我们说 这一次就让正常的程序见鬼去吧 |
[20:36] | -Counsel. -Judge. | -律师 -法官 |
[20:41] | Motion denied. See you. | 驳回动议 再见 |
[20:48] | So, what now? | 现在怎么办 |
[20:49] | We got grounds for appeal. | 我们可以上诉 |
[20:52] | Hey, Eugene, does it matter that I did them after they were dead? | Eugene 我是在他们死后搞的他们 有关系吗 |
[20:59] | No. | 没有 |
[21:04] | I bet it does to them. | 他们肯定觉得有关系 |
[21:09] | Hey! Hey, wait! | 嘿 嘿 别动 |
[21:11] | Bailiff, stop him! Bailiff! | 法警 把他拉开 法警 |
[21:13] | Get out of the way! | 让开 |
[21:15] | Stop this man. | 把他拉住 |
[21:21] | Stop him, bailiff! | 拉开他 法警 |
[21:30] | Take it easy. Take it easy! | 别激动 别激动 |
[21:43] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[21:49] | Eugene Eugene? | |
[21:53] | I don’t even remember. | 我都不记得了 |
[21:56] | All of a sudden, I was on top of him. | 突然之间 我就把他压倒在地 |
[21:59] | And I don’t even remember what happened. | 我完全不记得是怎么回事 |
[22:03] | He’s okay. | 他没事 |
[22:04] | Concussion, broken nose, but he’ll live. | 脑震荡 鼻子骨折 但没有生命危险 |
[22:11] | Great. | 很好 |
[22:14] | It was self-defense. | 你是正当防卫 |
[22:18] | We’re not filing. You can go, Eugene. | 我们不会提起检控 你可以走了 Eugene |
[22:20] | Self-defense? | 正当防卫? |
[22:22] | It’s my call. | 决定权在我 |
[22:24] | The truth is, I think it was on some psychological level. | 事实上 我觉得是心理层面上的 |
[22:29] | He can go. | 他可以走了 |
[22:31] | I’d like to stay. | 我想在这里呆着 |
[22:39] | I’d like to stay for a bit. | 我想在这里呆一会儿 |
[22:42] | I think you’d feel better if I took you home. | 我想 我带你回家的话 你会好受些 |
[22:50] | I said I’d like to stay. | 我说了 我想呆在这里 |
[22:55] | Absolutely. I’m on my way. | 当然 我马上过去 |
[22:57] | He won’t come out of the cell? | 他不肯出来? |
[22:58] | -I’m going down there. -I’m going with you. | -我现在过去 -我跟你一起去 |
[23:01] | I won’t accept that. | 我不能同意 |
[23:03] | You can’t treat her like this! We’re talking about Lila. | 你不能这样对她 她是Lila |
[23:08] | I’m just practicing. | 我在做准备 |
[23:13] | This isn’t a referendum on tabloid journalism. | 我们不是在对八卦新闻进行公民投票 |
[23:16] | I’m not up here cloaking myself in the American flag | 我不准备在这里身披美国国旗 |
[23:20] | trumpeting the First Amendment.No. | 为第一修正案大声疾呼 不 |
[23:22] | This is about an act of violence. | 我们是在审理一桩暴力行为 |
[23:25] | An act of criminal violence. | 一桩刑事暴力行为 |
[23:30] | The defendant attacked a man. | 被告殴打了他人 |
[23:33] | He repeatedly kicked him. | 他不停地踢打他 |
[23:35] | He fractured his skull. | 导致颅骨骨折 |
[23:38] | He nearly killed him. | 差一点把他打死 |
[23:40] | And what? | 难道 |
[23:42] | We’re supposed to forgive this because he’s a state senator? | 因为他是州参议员 我们就宽容他? |
[23:45] | He gets to be above the law now? | 他可以凌驾于法律之上? |
[23:49] | He almost killed a man. | 他差点把人打死 |
[23:53] | Of course he has to go to jail. | 他当然应该进监狱 |
[23:58] | Jail? | 监狱? |
[24:01] | Jail is a very serious thing, isn’t it? | 监狱是个很严肃的事情 不是吗 |
[24:06] | We take away a man’s life, don’t we, | 我们把人关进监狱 |
[24:08] | when we put a man in jail? | 就是剥夺了他的生活 不是吗 |
[24:10] | We’ve got to think very hard before we take away a man’s freedom. | 在剥夺某个人的自由之前 我们必须深入地思考 |
[24:15] | So let’s examine the facts in this case, ladies and gentlemen. | 所以 女士们先生们 让我们来审视案件中的事实 |
[24:20] | The facts… | 事实… |
[24:22] | The facts that will impel you to say | 事实会告诉你们是否应该 |
[24:25] | whether this good man maintains or loses his God-given liberty. | 剥夺这个好人的天赋自由 |
[24:31] | His life. | 以及他的生活 |
[24:38] | Oh, no. | 哦 不 |
[24:39] | Get up. Bobby, he’s lost. | 起来 Bobby 他又失忆了 |
[24:44] | No. No. | 不 不 |
[24:47] | You know the facts. | 你们了解事实 |
[24:49] | You know the facts. You know the facts. | 你们了解事实 你们了解事实 |
[24:53] | There’s only one thing that remains now. | 现在唯一不确定的 |
[24:55] | One single thing remains in this trial. | 在这个案子中唯一不确定的 |
[24:57] | And that is you, the jury. | 就是你们 陪审团 |
[25:00] | Your wisdom | 你们的智慧 |
[25:02] | and your compassion.That’s all that remains. | 和你们的同情心 所不确定的只有这些 |
[25:05] | You know there’s an old, old, ancient tale of a small town | 有一个非常 非常古老的传说 在一个小镇上 |
[25:12] | where there lived a very wise old man. | 有一位智慧的老人家 |
[25:14] | And there was a young boy | 有一个少年 |
[25:17] | who was determined to show that that old man wasn’t really as smart | 决意证明那位老人家其实并不像 |
[25:21] | and as wise as he pretended to be after all. | 他假装的那样聪明和智慧 |
[25:25] | And the young boy had a plan to humiliate the old man. | 少年想了个办法去羞辱老人家 |
[25:29] | His plan was to capture a small bird | 他的办法是抓来一只小鸟 |
[25:32] | and take the bird cupped in his palms to the old man and say: | 用双手把小鸟握住 去找老人家 问他 |
[25:36] | “What do I have in my hands, old man?” | 我手里有什么 老人家 |
[25:39] | He didn’t expect the old man to guess correctly. But even if he did | 他觉得老人家猜不出来 但即使他猜对了 |
[25:42] | the young boy would then say, “Is it dead or alive, old man?” | 少年会接着问 它是死的还是活的 老人家 |
[25:46] | And if the old man said,”It’s alive” | 如果老人说 是活的 |
[25:49] | then the boy was going to squeeze the bird | 少年就会用力握住小鸟 |
[25:52] | break its neck,and then reveal it to be dead. | 折断它的脖子 然后把死的小鸟给老人看 |
[25:55] | However, if the old man said,”It’s dead”… | 然而 如果老人家说 是死的 |
[25:58] | he would simply open his palms and allow the bird to fly away. | 他就松开双手 让鸟儿飞出去 |
[26:01] | So he went and caught the bird. | 于是 他抓来了一只鸟 |
[26:03] | And he brought it to the old man and said: | 带着它去见老人家 问道 |
[26:05] | “Old man, what do I have in my hands?” | 老人家 我手里面是什么 |
[26:07] | The old man looked at him a moment and then he said: | 老人家看了他一会 说道 |
[26:09] | “You have a bird in your hand,young man.” | 你手里有一只鸟 年轻人 |
[26:13] | And then the young man said, “Is it dead or alive, old man?” | 然后少年问道 它是死的还是活的 老人家 |
[26:18] | The old man looked at him a long moment | 老人家看了他很久 |
[26:21] | and he finally said: | 最后说道 |
[26:25] | “The bird is in your hands.” | 鸟儿在你手上 |
[26:31] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[26:34] | this good man’s life | 这个好人的生活 |
[26:41] | is in your hands. | 就在你们手上 |
[26:55] | Nine thousand, plus interest by the end of business. | 九千 加上停业前的利息 |
[27:01] | I made them realize who they were dealing with. | 我告诉他们 他们在跟谁打交道 |
[27:02] | Jimmy “The Grunt.” | “平民律师”Jimmy |
[27:05] | Lila Lila. | |
[27:06] | Oh, yeah. | 哦 嗯 |
[27:09] | You know… | 你知道 |
[27:11] | -I’m sorry to be acting so… -It’s okay. I’m used to it. | -抱歉我这么… -没关系 我已经习惯了 |
[27:15] | I get it all the time. I wish I didn’t, but… | 我经常碰到 我不希望这样 但是… |
[27:19] | Do you…Aren’t you proud of who you are? | 你是否… 你不喜欢自己的这个身份吗 |
[27:23] | Well, who I am has nothing to do with one character I played | 呃 我的身份和我扮演过的那个穿着紧身衣 |
[27:27] | who happened to wear tight dresses that excited teenage boys. | 让少男们激动不已的角色没有关系 |
[27:31] | You know, I’ve played a lot of roles. I come from the theater. | 我演过很多角色 我是个演员 |
[27:34] | My self-esteem has nothing to do with one insipid little sitcom. | 我的自尊和某个无聊的情景喜剧没关系 |
[27:39] | You sound like you regret doing it. | 这么说你好像后悔演了这个角色 |
[27:41] | Why would I regret it? | 我为什么要后悔 |
[27:43] | Twenty years later, I get to walk down the street | 20年过去了 我走在街上 |
[27:46] | and have grown men call me Lila. | 还会有成年男人叫我Lila |
[27:50] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[27:52] | Well, you can pick up your money tomorrow. | 你明天可以来拿钱 |
[27:56] | Great. Thanks, Jimmy. | 好极了 谢谢 Jimmy |
[28:14] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[28:17] | How about a game of cribbage? | 想不想玩一把克里比奇【纸牌】 |
[28:24] | This has been coming, Eugene. | 你是在履行自己的工作职责 Eugene |
[28:28] | You’ve had a string of putting guilty scum back out there. | 你一直让那些有罪的人渣重获自由 |
[28:30] | This has been coming. | 你是在履行工作职责 |
[28:33] | I put this particular one back out there. | 这次 我让这一个人渣重获自由 |
[28:36] | Two little boys are dead because I got this guy | 两个男孩被杀害 因为我帮这个家伙 |
[28:39] | time served on a prior conviction | 免除了前次犯罪的刑罚 |
[28:40] | Eugene, don’t go there. | Eugene 别这么想 |
[28:44] | “No. Don’t go there. | 不要 别这么想 |
[28:46] | Stay back where it’s safe. | 别想那么多 |
[28:48] | Stay tucked inside your nice little jingle. | 只要守着这个好听的小小格言 |
[28:50] | Defense lawyers do their jobs. | 辩护律师必须履行职责 |
[28:52] | We’re players in a system. | 我们是整个体系的一部分 |
[28:53] | We’re necessary pieces to the process of justice.” | 我们是司法公正不可或缺的一环 |
[28:56] | Two little boys are dead. | 两个小男孩被杀害了 |
[28:57] | A 4-year-old boy and his 5-year-old brother were murdered and raped | 一个四岁的男孩和他五岁的哥哥 被先杀后奸 |
[29:00] | by a man who was out there because I played my part. | 而凶手正是在我的帮助下获得自由 |
[29:03] | I played my part. I played my part. | 我履行职责 我履行职责 |
[29:05] | Well, I can’t play my damn part anymore! | 我再也不能履行我该死的职责了 |
[29:15] | They’re dead. | 他们已经死了 |
[29:25] | They’re dead. | 他们已经死了 |
[29:40] | Eugene Eugene? | |
[29:43] | There’s one thing I know. | 有一件事是我所知道的 |
[29:46] | You are a good man. | 你是个好人 |
[29:50] | Now, there’s nothing I’m more sure of than that. | 对此我确信无疑 |
[29:53] | And it seems to me | 在我看来 |
[29:55] | what the legal system needs most right now | 现在司法体系最需要的 |
[29:57] | is lawyers who are good men. | 就是像你这样的好人 |
[30:07] | You gotta come out of this cell, man. | 你得走出这个牢房 伙计 |
[30:15] | Yeah, I gotta come out. | 是的 我得出去 |
[30:17] | Because there’s a funeral I gotta go to. | 因为我要去参加一场葬礼 |
[30:29] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了吗 |
[30:30] | You forgot the facts of the case. | 你忘记了案件的事实 |
[30:33] | It was a very effective closing. | 我的结案陈词非常精彩 |
[30:36] | Didn’t you see the faces on those jurors? | 你没看到陪审员们的表情吗 |
[30:39] | That was Gerry Spence’s closing. | 那是Gerry Spence用过的结案陈词 |
[30:41] | One of his old standards. | 很早以前用的 |
[30:42] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢 |
[30:43] | This jury never heard it before. | 这个陪审团以前从来没听过 |
[30:45] | And Gerry’s a friend of mine.He’d be tickled. | 而且Gerry是我的朋友 他会很乐意 |
[30:47] | Did you see when I made the gesture of releasing the bird? | 你有没有看到当我做出把鸟放走的手势 |
[30:51] | One of the jurors actually watched it fly away. | 有一个陪审员真的目送着它飞走 |
[30:53] | Did you catch that, Lucy? | 你看到没有 Lucy? |
[30:54] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[30:56] | Joanne, could you give us just one second, please? | Joanne 能不能让我们单独谈会 |
[30:58] | Oh, of course. | 哦 当然可以 |
[31:07] | Ray, I can’t stay quiet. | Ray 我不能再保持沉默了 |
[31:11] | I have the ability to cover. | 我有能力掩饰 |
[31:14] | This is a criminal case. | 这是刑事案件 |
[31:16] | I have the presence to know when my memory’s failing. | 我失忆的时候自己会知道 |
[31:19] | Now, I’ve got a hundred tricks to compensate. | 我有上百种办法来补救 |
[31:22] | The stakes are too high. | 风险还是太高了 |
[31:24] | I’m gonna win this, Bobby. | 我会打赢这个案子 Bobby |
[31:27] | You might. But if you don’t | 也许会 但如果你输了 |
[31:29] | I just wanna get this on record with the judge to protect the client. | 我必须向法官正式报告 以保护当事人 |
[31:33] | -That doesn’t mean… -Wait a minute. Wait a minute. | -这并不意味着… -且慢 且慢 |
[31:36] | You go to the judge and you tell him | 如果你去找法官 告诉他 |
[31:38] | that I’ve forgotten the facts in this case | 我忘记了案件的事实 |
[31:41] | he has no alternative but to go to the bar. | 那他别无选择 只能报告律师协会 |
[31:44] | And I’m finished, Bobby. | 那样我就完了 Bobby |
[31:47] | Bobby Bobby | |
[31:49] | I may not be what I once was | 我可能是不如从前了 |
[31:52] | but I can still get the job done. | 但我还是可以把案子做好 |
[32:05] | I don’t think so. | 我不这么看 |
[32:10] | I always thought of you | 我一直把你当作 |
[32:13] | as a son. | 我的儿子 |
[32:20] | Then listen to your son. | 那就听你儿子一句话 |
[32:34] | What do you? What the…? | 你是想… 你… |
[32:37] | What the hell do you want me to do? | 你究竟想让我怎样 |
[32:41] | You want me to go home and stare at the plaques on my wall? | 你想让我回家 整天盯着墙上的奖章吗 |
[32:45] | I am a trial lawyer | 我是诉讼律师 |
[32:48] | and that’s what I do. | 那是我一生的事业 |
[32:52] | And the day I stop doing it | 哪天我不再出庭了 |
[32:53] | will be the day that I die. | 那一定是我与世长辞的那一天 |
[32:58] | Now, Joanne, you sit in that courtroom every day. | Joanne 你每天都到法庭来 |
[33:01] | You watch me. | 你看着我 |
[33:03] | And when the time comes, I’m sure that you’ll tell me, won’t you? | 如果时候到了 我相信你会告诉我的 不是吗 |
[33:07] | Well, of course I will, Ray. | 我当然会告诉你 Ray |
[33:16] | I will be going to see Judge Lawrence. | 我要去找Lawrence法官 |
[33:22] | I’m sorry, Ray. | 对不起 Ray |
[33:28] | I’m not done yet. | 我还没变成废物 |
[33:38] | Joanne Joanne | |
[33:41] | you said you didn’t want him to get hurt. | 你说你不想让他受到伤害 |
[33:43] | I think he’s doing fine out there. He’s still okay. | 我觉得他做得还不错 他还可以做 |
[33:51] | I can’t tell him. | 我不能让他退出 |
[33:53] | The fall is coming. | 他已经老了 |
[33:55] | It can happen in private or it can happen in front of the cameras. | 他要么主动退出 要么在摄像机前丢人 |
[33:59] | He is only going to listen to you. | 他只听你的 |
[34:02] | For God’s sakes, Joanne | 看在上帝份上 Joanne |
[34:04] | you have to tell him. | 你必须说服他 |
[34:15] | What do you mean he’s incompetent? | 什么叫做”他没有能力辩护” |
[34:17] | I think Ray’s winning. | 我觉得Ray可以赢 |
[34:18] | The reason he gave the jury Spence’s | 他之所以在结案陈词中说Spence的 |
[34:20] | bird-in-the-hand closing | “手中的小鸟”的故事 |
[34:21] | was because he forgot the facts. | 是因为他忘记了案件事实 |
[34:23] | And that time-out he took for the jury | 那一次他要求法庭给陪审团一点时间 |
[34:26] | to measure the demeanor of the witness | 去观察证人的举止 |
[34:28] | that was so he could ask me who the witness was. | 是为了趁机来问我证人是谁 |
[34:31] | I think what Bobby’s trying to say is that I…I’ve forgotten | 我觉得Bobby想说的是 我忘记的 |
[34:33] | more than most lawyers ever know. | 比大多数律师一辈子知道的还多 |
[34:35] | To that, I say he’s right. | 对此 我得说他是对的 |
[34:36] | Turning phrases just isn’t gonna do it. | 诡辩解决不了问题 |
[34:38] | United States v. Roberts. That was me. | 合众国诉Roberts案 我辩护的 |
[34:41] | Kendall v. Cooper. | Kendall诉Cooper案 |
[34:43] | U.S. Supreme Court, 1972. Me. | 联邦最高法院 1972年 也是我 |
[34:45] | I am not denying your legacy. | 我并不是要否认你过去的功绩 |
[34:47] | Look, Mr. Horowitz,do you have anything to say here? | Horowitz 你觉得呢 |
[34:50] | If I understand this correctly | 如果我没理解错 |
[34:52] | l’m being whipped by a man who should be deemed incompetent. | 我要被一个”没有辩护能力”的人打败了 |
[34:55] | I must say, I don’t know what Attorney Donnell’s motive | 我得说 我不相信Donnell有什么动机 |
[34:58] | would be to make these allegations if… | 在这件事情上撒谎 |
[35:01] | But on the other hand,I’ve been the judge on this trial. | 但另一方面 我是本案的法官 |
[35:04] | I haven’t seen anything that remotely looks like incompetence. | 我没有看到”丧失辩护能力”的一点点蛛丝马迹 |
[35:07] | -There is your answer. -But it’s not the question. | -这就对了 -但是问题不在这里 |
[35:10] | Who’s turning phrases now? | 现在谁在诡辩 |
[35:12] | Raymond, if you go out now | Raymond 如果你现在退出 |
[35:21] | Bobby, you show me a man | Bobby 你告诉我曾经有谁 |
[35:23] | who quits while he’s ahead | 在占据优势的情况下放弃过 |
[35:24] | and I’ll show you a quitter. | 那我就退出 |
[35:26] | All right, now I’ve turned two phrases to his one. | 瞧 现在我诡辩了两次了 |
[35:30] | What’s my name? | 我叫什么名字 |
[35:32] | What? | 什么 |
[35:33] | What’s my name? | 我叫什么名字 |
[35:36] | -This is absolute nonsense. -What’s her name, Ray? | -这太可笑了 -她叫什么名字 Ray |
[35:41] | Hey, Tom, come on. | 嘿 Tom 有必要吗 |
[35:43] | I’ve been practicing law for 56 years. | 我已经执业56年了 |
[35:45] | What is this woman’s name? | 这位女士叫什么名字 |
[35:49] | Is this what it comes down to? | 这就是我的下场? |
[35:52] | Fifty-six years of practice | 执业56年 |
[35:55] | comes down to whether I can remember | 到头来 你们要考我记不记得 |
[35:57] | a young woman’s name? | 一位年轻女士的名字? |
[36:00] | Yes, it does. | 是的 |
[36:05] | All right, then. | 那么 好吧 |
[36:11] | Lindsay Dole,Harvard class of 1994, single. | Lindsay Dole 哈佛 1994级 单身 |
[36:16] | Constitutional scholar. | 宪法专家 |
[36:18] | Only trial to date, she took on and defeated the tobacco industry | 迄今为止 她打败过烟草公司 |
[36:22] | and I won’t mention the little suspension she got | 我不想提她因为跟陪审员交谈而被 |
[36:25] | for talking to a juror. | 暂停执业资格的事 |
[36:30] | Well, it looks like I win again. | 看来我又赢了 |
[36:37] | I wonder what’s keeping that jury? | 我很好奇陪审团怎么还没做出裁决 |
[36:40] | Joanne Joanne. | |
[36:44] | Joanne Joanne? | |
[36:54] | It’s time, Ray. | 是时候了 Ray |
[36:56] | It’s time to quit. | 是时候退出了 |
[36:59] | I’m winning, darling. I’m winning. | 我要赢了 亲爱的 我要赢了 |
[37:03] | I know. I know. | 我知道 我知道 |
[37:05] | But you’re getting worse. | 但是你的情况越来越严重了 |
[37:07] | It was that stroke, sweetheart. | 都是因为中风 亲爱的 |
[37:09] | More and more you forgetting… | 你忘记的越来越多 |
[37:13] | Daring, you’re going to be hurt. | 亲爱的 你会受到伤害的 |
[37:17] | I really think it’s time. | 我真的觉得是时候了 |
[37:22] | You got her to do this. | 是你让她这么做的 |
[37:24] | This is unfair surprise.I want him sanctioned! | 这是不当突袭 我申请处罚他 |
[37:29] | You’re trying to ruin me. | 你是想毁了我 |
[37:32] | I can still win a case | 我还是只要站在法庭上 |
[37:34] | by just walking into the courtroom. | 就可以打赢一桩案子 |
[37:36] | I’m Raymond Oz. | 我是Raymond Oz |
[37:38] | I’m Raymond Oz for God’s sake! | 我是Raymond Oz 老天爷 |
[37:42] | Raymond, as far as I’m concerned | Raymond 在我看来 |
[37:46] | there’s been no apparent malpractice by you doing this trial. | 你在辩护的过程中没有明显的失职行为 |
[37:51] | Since the jury is in deliberation | 既然陪审团已经在审议 |
[37:53] | my feeling is that we should just let them return their verdict. | 我觉得我们应该等陪审团做出裁决 |
[37:57] | After which, I think you should retire. | 在此之后 我认为你该退休了 |
[37:59] | Proudly and gracefully. | 骄傲而体面地退休 |
[38:02] | Do this and this meeting never took place. | 那样的话 这次会议就当从来没发生过 |
[38:05] | If you don’t, I’ll have no choice but to go to the bar. | 否则 我没有其它选择 只有报告律师协会 |
[38:08] | I’m sure none of us wants that. | 我相信谁都不希望出现这种结果 |
[38:11] | I’m winning. | 我要赢了 |
[38:16] | I’m winning. | 我要赢了 |
[38:23] | Made out to you. Seventy-two hundred. | 收款人是你 7200 |
[38:26] | What about your third? | 你那三分之一怎么办 |
[38:27] | Well, one day’s work, I couldn’t stick you for the whole contingency. | 只花了一天时间 我不能要你付全额的律师费 |
[38:31] | But you’re a lawyer. | 但你是律师啊 |
[38:32] | Oh, that’s good. | 哦 没关系 |
[38:35] | Look, I know I said stuff already I shouldn’t have | 我知道 我已经说了些不该说的话 |
[38:39] | but could I say just one more thing? | 不过 我可以再说一件事吗 |
[38:42] | Sure. | 当然 |
[38:44] | I kind of got the impression that you’re not too proud of how… | 我总感觉你不是太乐意 |
[38:48] | I don’t know, being known as a sex object or something. | 我不知道 被当成性对象什么的 |
[38:51] | And I understand this. I do. | 我可以理解 真的 |
[38:55] | But you should know you were more than that. | 但是你要知道 你的意义不止于此 |
[38:57] | At least to me. | 至少对我来说是这样 |
[38:59] | I was? | 是吗 |
[39:02] | I went on my first date when I was 22. | 我第一次跟人约会的时候是22岁 |
[39:05] | Whatever girls saw in me wasn’t something they were looking for. | 我身上没有任何东西可以吸引女孩子 |
[39:10] | Not that you need to hear this. | 我也不是非说给你听不可 |
[39:13] | But on the night of my senior prom | 不过 在期末舞会的晚上 |
[39:15] | I listened to music at home with headphones. | 我呆在家里 用耳机听着音乐 |
[39:19] | I turned out the lights | 我关上灯 |
[39:21] | and I just pretended I was dancing with you. | 幻想着在跟你跳舞 |
[39:27] | You were wearing that white dress | 你穿着那身白色的衣服 |
[39:29] | and we danced. | 我们就这样跳着 |
[39:32] | I’m only saying this because guys like me | 我说这些是因为像我这样的人 |
[39:35] | and there’s a lot of them | 有很多像我这样的人 |
[39:36] | we’re never gonna get the girl of our dreams. | 我们永远得不到梦中的女孩 |
[39:39] | Never gonna come close. | 永远没有机会 |
[39:41] | So the dream itself becomes kind of important. | 所以 梦想本身就变得很重要 |
[39:44] | To turn on the TV, or go to a movie | 打开电视 或者去电影院 |
[39:48] | and pretend the girl is somebody you might be with. | 幻想着上面的女孩可以跟你在一起 |
[39:51] | That’s as good as it gets. | 这本身就美妙无比 |
[39:56] | I had a great time at my prom, so you should be proud. | 我的期末舞会过的很愉快 所以你应该骄傲 |
[40:01] | You were there for guys like me. | 你和像我这样的人在一起 |
[40:07] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[40:10] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[40:20] | Would you like to dance with me now? | 你愿意和我跳个舞吗 |
[40:22] | -What? -Just one dance. | -什么 -就一曲 |
[40:25] | You don’t gotta do that. | 你用不着这样 |
[40:27] | I’d like to. | 我想 |
[40:31] | One of the problems in putting a human face on God | 为上帝加上人脸的问题之一在于 |
[40:36] | we tend to attach human traits, | 我们倾向于按人类的特征 |
[40:39] | human reason to his ways. | 人类的理性来理解他的行为 |
[40:42] | That can be a losing proposition. | 那或许是错误的 |
[40:46] | I could say that we should feel enriched and blessed | 我可以说 与小Timothy和Richard相识 |
[40:49] | for having known little Timothy and Richard. | 我们应当感到满足和欢喜 |
[40:52] | But it’s difficult to feel rich when you’ve been so robbed | 但是 在如此被剥夺之后 怎能满足 |
[40:56] | to feel blessed in the wake of such evil. | 在如此恶行面前 又怎能欢喜 |
[41:01] | I could stand here and tell you to keep your faith | 我可以站在这里 要你们坚守信仰 |
[41:06] | but I’d be at a loss to tell you how. | 但是我不知道怎样才能做到 |
[41:10] | So I thought | 因此我想 |
[41:13] | instead of standing here,throwing out hollow words | 与其站在这里 说着空洞的话语 |
[41:19] | maybe we should all just stand here. | 也许我们只要静静地站在这里 |
[41:40] | The defendant will rise, please. | 被告请起立 |
[41:47] | The jury has its verdict? | 陪审团做出裁决了吗 |
[41:49] | -We do. -What say you? | -是的 -请宣布 |
[41:51] | “In the Commonwealth v.Frank Patanki | 马萨诸塞州诉Frank Patanki |
[41:53] | on one count of aggravated assault | 关于加重的伤害罪 |
[41:56] | we find the defendant,Frank Patanki, | 我们判决被告 Frank Patanki |
[41:58] | not guilty.” | 无罪 |
[42:00] | -I knew it. -I’m so… | -我就知道 -我太… |
[42:08] | Well, young fellow, it’s too bad somebody has to lose | 年轻人 很遗憾总有人要输 |
[42:12] | but the truth is you weren’t really very good. | 但事实是 你还不够好 |
[42:16] | I can appreciate that. | 谢谢你的告诫 |
[42:18] | Well, Bobby, I did it. | Bobby 我成功了 |
[42:21] | I pulled us through. | 我赢了案子 |
[42:24] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[42:26] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[42:32] | I know. | 我知道 |