时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | I think we should take it. | 我觉得我们应该接 |
[00:03] | Sorry, Jimmy. | 对不起 Jimmy |
[00:05] | I think we should take it too. | 我也觉得应该接 |
[00:06] | What? Why? | 什么 为什么 |
[00:07] | Because 11 people in a two-mile radius got cancer. | 因为半径两英里范围内有11个人患上癌症 |
[00:10] | Dates scare me. | 我怕约会 |
[00:12] | Especially the “first kiss” part. | 特别是”第一次接吻” |
[00:16] | We both agreed, | 我们说好的 |
[00:17] | if either of us met somebody who can… | 如果有谁遇到另外一个能够… |
[00:20] | It doesn’t bother you? | 你一点都不在乎吗 |
[00:21] | I’ll make do with the memories. | 我还有回忆 |
[00:23] | Maybe we should celebrate that we were able to keep the secret. | 也许我们应该庆幸 我们保住了这个秘密 |
[00:26] | And it was some secret while it lasted. | 而且会一直都是秘密 |
[00:31] | It’s a summary judgment hearing. | 这是简易判决听证 |
[00:33] | All you have to do is show some dispute of fact. | 你要做的只是证明 存在对事实问题的争议 |
[00:36] | Jimmy, it’s 10:00 at night. I’m tired. | Jimmy 已经晚上十点钟了 我很累 |
[00:39] | I’m gonna take a shower and go to bed. | 我去洗个澡就睡觉了 |
[00:41] | I’ll call you in the morning, okay? Bye. | 明天早上给你打电话 行吗 再见 |
[00:46] | Oh, great. | 哦 很好 |
[00:52] | – Sorry. – That’s okay. | -对不起 -没关系 |
[00:54] | Gave me more time to lather. | 我正好多点时间打香皂 |
[01:23] | – Are you okay? – Yeah. | -你没事吧 -嗯 |
[01:24] | Don’t you hate it when that happens? | 打断了我们的兴致 真讨厌 |
[01:35] | Bobby, turn it off. | Bobby 把它关了 |
[01:37] | The shower. The shower. | 喷头 喷头 |
[01:40] | Okay. Okay. | 好 好 |
[01:48] | – Don’t get that. – Hello? | -不要接 -你好 |
[01:53] | You gotta be kidding me. | 开什么玩笑 |
[01:56] | Cowley? | 你说Cowley? |
[01:58] | This is for the Isikoff warrant, right? | 是Isikoff案的搜查令 对吧? |
[02:04] | Well, I think he still passes Aguilar on the facts. | 我想他仍然满足阿吉拉尔标准 |
[02:07] | You don’t have to put that in the proffer. | 用不着提到这个问题 |
[02:10] | All right. Let me know. | 好 有事给我打电话 |
[02:15] | – Problem? – Big search warrant. | -出事了? -有个重要的搜查令 |
[02:17] | Our informant has suddenly revealed | 我们的线人突然说 |
[02:19] | he was Abraham Lincoln in a past life. | 他前世是亚伯拉罕·林肯 |
[02:22] | You think we need to disclose that to the magistrate? | 你觉得我们需要把这个情况告知法官吗 |
[02:26] | Well, let’s get out our criminal procedure books. | 呃 我们把《刑事诉讼法》找出来 |
[02:36] | Let’s review. | 查一下 |
[03:56] | What’s the emergency? | 什么事这么急 |
[03:57] | Our big dealer, is his name Isikoff? | 我们的大毒贩 是不是叫Isikoff |
[03:59] | – You said l… – This isn’t about that. | -你说我不用… -不是给你分派案子 |
[04:01] | I wanna know is his name Isikoff? | 我想问他是不是叫Isikoff |
[04:03] | John Isikoff, why? | 他是叫John Isikoff 怎么了 |
[04:04] | We took his retainer? | 他给我们付了顾问费的? |
[04:05] | We pay our rent with the interest. | 我们就是用他给的钱来付租金 |
[04:07] | So we still represent him? | 所以他还是我们的客户? |
[04:09] | Somewhat. | 是的 |
[04:09] | – Oh, no. – What? | -哦 糟糕 -怎么了 |
[04:11] | – He’s gonna get raided. – He is? But…? | -警方要搜查他 -是吗 但是… |
[04:13] | Helen got a call last night, | Helen昨晚接到个电话 |
[04:14] | trouble with an informant. | 他们的线人出了点问题 |
[04:16] | It was a warrant for Isikoff. | 是针对Isikoff的搜查令 |
[04:18] | You were at Helen’s? | 你昨天在Helen那里? |
[04:19] | Maybe it’s another Isikoff. A different one. | 也许是另一个Isikoff 不是同一个人 |
[04:22] | “Isikoff” isn’t very common. | “Isikoff”并不是一个很普遍的姓 |
[04:24] | We represent one who’s a cartel player. | 我们的客户中有个”Isikoff” 还是个团伙分子 |
[04:26] | The DA has one scheduled for a raid. | 检察官正准备对”Isikoff”进行搜捕 |
[04:28] | I would make a wild guess that it’s the same guy. | 我可以大胆假设 就是同一个人 |
[04:32] | So, what do we do? | 那么 我们怎么办 |
[04:34] | We let him know. | 我们告诉他 |
[04:34] | But I got the information… | 但是我的信息是来自… |
[04:36] | It doesn’t matter how you got it. | 你怎么得到信息不重要 |
[04:38] | You got knowledge that a client is about to get raided. | 你知道自己的客户要被搜查 |
[04:40] | We can’t not tell him. | 我们非告诉他不可 |
[04:43] | I don’t believe this. | 这算什么回事 |
[04:45] | You better notify this guy fast too. | 你最好赶快通知他 |
[04:47] | If this is going to the magistrate today, | 如果地方法官今天接到这个案子 |
[04:49] | the raid won’t be far behind. | 搜查很快会启动 |
[04:53] | Basically, it’s a legal motion. | 基本上 这是个基于法律的动议 |
[04:55] | They’re claiming as a matter of law we can’t win. | 他们主张 从法律方面而言 我们赢不了 |
[04:58] | So they’re asking the judge to kick it. | 所以 他们申请法官驳回案件 |
[05:00] | But you expect us to get by it. | 但是你说这一步不会有问题 |
[05:02] | Well, we expect to | 呃 我们那么想 |
[05:03] | because the benefit of the doubt goes to the plaintiff. | 是因为疑点利益归原告 |
[05:05] | – But… – But what? | -但是… -但是什么 |
[05:07] | But Judge Walsh is famous for keeping the docket down. | Walsh法官对案件审查出了名的严格 |
[05:10] | He practically crusades against, well, dubious claims. | 他实际上坚决反对可疑的诉请 |
[05:15] | And us getting cancer, | 你是说我们得了癌症 |
[05:16] | we shouldn’t waste the court’s time? | 我们不该浪费法院的时间? |
[05:19] | It’s not that. | 不是这个意思 |
[05:20] | It’s the connection between cancer and power lines. | 主要是癌症和高压线之间的因果关系 |
[05:24] | Isn’t that what a trial is for? | 那不正是法庭审理的目的吗 |
[05:25] | To prove our case? | 证明我们的诉请? |
[05:27] | Yes, but the truth is judges are becoming inclined… | 是的 但现实情况是 法官们越来越倾向于 |
[05:29] | …to toss out cases that they don’t like | 驳回他们不喜欢的案子 |
[05:31] | and this judge in particular… | 这个法官尤其如此 |
[05:33] | We expect to survive this. | 我们能通过简易判决听证 |
[05:36] | But it’s no lock. | 但是没有绝对的把握 |
[06:00] | What’s the matter? | 怎么回事 |
[06:01] | You know a guy named Cowley? | 你认识一个叫Cowley的? |
[06:03] | Jackie Cowley? Why? | Jackie Cowley? 怎么了 |
[06:05] | The DA’s gone in to get a warrant. You’re about to get hit. | 检察官已经申请搜查令 要对你进行搜查 |
[06:08] | Maybe any second. | 随时可能启动 |
[06:09] | What are you talking about? | 你说什么呢 |
[06:11] | As we speak,you’re about to get raided. | 就在此刻 检方正准备对你搜查 |
[06:20] | – Helen. – Hey. | -Helen -嗨 |
[06:22] | So, Bobby was over last night, huh? | Bobby昨晚在你那过夜的 是吧 |
[06:24] | He told you? | 他告诉你的? |
[06:25] | Not really. | 其实不算告诉我 |
[06:25] | It kind of slipped out. How did it go? | 只是无意中说出口了 怎么样 |
[06:28] | You mean how far did it go? | 你是说发展到哪一步了 |
[06:29] | Yeah. How far? | 是啊 哪一步了 |
[06:30] | Well, all I’ll say is anything further would be | 呃 我只能说 在我能接受的范围以内的 |
[06:32] | uncharted territory for me. | 都已经发生了 |
[06:34] | Really? I mean, for you… | 真的吗 我是说 对你来说… |
[06:35] | Don’t even go there. | 行了 别提了 |
[06:36] | So he… It was good? | 那么 他…还不错? |
[06:38] | It was huge. | 棒极了 |
[06:39] | Yeah. I don’t know what happened, | 是的 我不知道怎么回事 |
[06:40] | but for a guy who was so stuck in neutral… | 但是对于他这样一个保守的家伙 |
[06:43] | …maybe he went out and hired a surrogate | 也许他请了个性伴侣 |
[06:45] | to get himself unstuck. | 用性疗法让自己学会放松 |
[06:51] | You think you could have been any more discouraging, Ellenor? | 你还能更泄气一点吗 Ellenor? |
[06:54] | Sorry? | 对不起 |
[06:54] | I’m trying to prop these people up. | 我想让这些人振作精神 |
[06:57] | Give them something to hope for a little. | 让他们看到希望 |
[06:59] | Why? | 为什么 |
[07:00] | – Why? – Yeah, why? | -为什么 -是啊 为什么 |
[07:02] | This case is a Hail Mary, Jimmy. | 这个案子是在赌运气 Jimmy |
[07:03] | They gotta know that. | 应该让他们知道 |
[07:06] | You go into something thinking you’re gonna lose, | 如果你抱着会输的心态做事 |
[07:07] | you usually lose. | 你通常真的会输 |
[07:09] | That’s my experience. | 这是我的经验之谈 |
[07:11] | I want that judge to look out there and see people | 我希望他们留给法官的印象是 |
[07:13] | who feel they have a right to be sitting in that courtroom. | 他们认为自己有权利坐在法庭上 |
[07:15] | Not people apologizing for taking up his time. | 而不是为占用了法官的时间感到抱歉 |
[07:18] | I understand that, Jimmy, I do. | 我理解 Jimmy 真的 |
[07:20] | But the best way to accomplish that… | 但是要达到这个目的 |
[07:22] | …is by telling your clients exactly that. | 就是对他们实话实说 |
[07:23] | Don’t mislead them. | 不要误导他们 |
[07:25] | If you don’t wanna be with me here, | 如果你不想跟我一起做 |
[07:26] | you don’t gotta be with me. | 就不用跟我一起做 |
[07:28] | Okay, fine. | 好的 可以 |
[07:30] | So, does that mean you’re with me or not? | 那你到底跟不跟我一起 |
[07:32] | Yes, Jimmy, I am with you. | Jimmy 我跟你一起做 |
[07:34] | Bobby? Bobby, come look at this. | Bobby Bobby 快来看 |
[07:37] | – What? – Just hurry. | -怎么了 -快点 |
[07:38] | What can you tell us about what’s happening down there? | 现在那边的情况怎么样了 |
[07:41] | At this point, three officers have been confirmed dead | 目前为止 三名警官和两名嫌犯 |
[07:44] | as well as two suspects. | 已经确认死亡 |
[07:46] | A third man, identified as Jack Cowley, was also killed. | 另外还有一个名叫Jack Cowley的人也被杀害 |
[07:50] | But police think this was an execution-style hit. | 不过警方认为他是被帮派处死的 |
[07:53] | He was found inside a body bag. | 他的尸体被装在裹尸袋里 |
[07:56] | The two wounded suspects | 两名身受重伤的嫌犯 |
[07:57] | were taken to St. Elizabeth in critical condition. | 已经送往圣伊丽莎白医院 |
[08:00] | Any reports on what caused the shootout, Janet? | 有没有关于这场枪战起因的报道 Janet |
[08:02] | Well, it seems it started off as a routine drug raid. | 看起来 最初只是例行的毒品搜查 |
[08:06] | But police believe the suspects were tipped off. | 不过警方相信嫌犯事先获知了消息 |
[08:08] | They were waiting with guns, packing up… | 警方赶到的时候 他们准备好了枪 |
[08:11] | …trying to get out when the police arrived. | 正在收拾行装 准备离开 |
[08:13] | And they had a lot more fire power than the police. | 而且他们的火力比警方强大得多 |
[08:16] | It was a gruesome bloodbath here, Tom. | 这是一场非常可怕的血战 Tom |
[08:20] | I’m Mr. Isikoff’s attorney. | 我是Isikoff先生的律师 |
[08:22] | Nobody goes inside. | 谁都不准进去 |
[08:24] | I’m sure my client wants to see his lawyer. | 我的当事人一定想见他的律师 |
[08:25] | Why don’t you ask him? | 你为什么不去问问他 |
[08:26] | -Bobby -Mike – Bobby. – Hey, Mike. | |
[08:30] | I’m… I’m sorry to hear about your men. | 我…得知你们的伤亡 我很难过 |
[08:32] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[08:35] | I should see him. | 我要见他 |
[08:38] | Let him in. | 让他进去 |
[08:54] | I told them that you’re represented by counsel. | 我告诉他们你现在由律师代理 |
[08:56] | They’ve been instructed not to ask you anything. | 要求他们不能问你任何问题 |
[08:59] | But three cops are dead so I’m not expecting… | 但是三位警官殉职 我不指望 |
[09:01] | …your constitutional rights to have top priority. | 他们会优先照顾你的宪法权利 |
[09:05] | John, I may stick a man in here. We’ll see how it goes. | John 我认识这边的人 我们看下一步会怎么样 |
[09:09] | For now, you just concentrate on getting stronger. | 目前 你要保持坚强 |
[09:25] | This man’s your client? | 他是你的当事人? |
[09:30] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[09:55] | Are you okay? | 你还好吧 |
[09:58] | No. | 不好 |
[09:59] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[10:03] | I think I know the source of the tip. | 我想我知道他们是怎么得到消息的了 |
[10:08] | Bobby Donnell Bobby Donnell. | |
[10:10] | How would he have known? | 他怎么知道的 |
[10:13] | I think I told him. | 我想是我告诉他的 |
[10:18] | A review of the depositions and interrogatories reveals… | 通过证言笔录和质询书可以看出来 |
[10:21] | …there are simply no facts to support the claim… | 原告诉称电磁场导致癌症 |
[10:24] | …that electric and magnetic fields cause cancer. | 没有任何事实依据 |
[10:26] | Your Honor, the complaint states paragraph after paragraph… | 法官阁下 原告列举了大量客观事实 |
[10:29] | …of factual facts which support the claim. | 来支撑我们的诉讼请求 |
[10:32] | At trial, we intend to offer evidence | 在庭审中 我们将用证据 |
[10:34] | in support of these factual facts. | 来证明这些客观事实 |
[10:37] | Well, we could allege the alignment of the stars | 嗯 我可以把星星的排列方式 |
[10:39] | as a possible defense… | 作为可能的抗辩理由 |
[10:41] | …and I suppose that too would be a factual fact in dispute. | 我想 这也算是一个可争议的客观事实 |
[10:44] | I don’t think you have to get like that. | 你这样说就太过分了 |
[10:46] | Actually, Mr. Berluti, I’m afraid I do. | 事实上 Berluti先生 我恐怕不得不这样做 |
[10:48] | And this brings me. Your Honor, to the portion of today’s | 法官阁下 在此 |
[10:51] | argument that I don’t find pleasant. Our Rule 11 motion. | 我很不情愿地提出 “滥用诉权”动议 |
[10:55] | You really intend to argue that? Counsel? | 你真的要提这个动议? |
[10:57] | I do so reluctantly, Your Honor. | 我也不想这么做 法官阁下 |
[10:59] | It is certainly not my habit to seek sanctions against other attorneys | 我极少申请法庭对其他律师进行制裁 |
[11:03] | but I think this is a particularly egregious situation. | 但是我们手上这个案子的确太荒谬了 |
[11:06] | Your honor, | 法官阁下 |
[11:06] | can we at least finish with the summary judgment arguments | 我们能否至少先把简易判决的辩论结束 |
[11:08] | before the personal attacks? | 再让对方做人身攻击 |
[11:09] | No, the attack is not personal in spirit | 不 我的批评其实不是针对个人的 |
[11:12] | and it is certainly relevant to today’s hearing. | 而且毫无疑问与今天的听证有关联 |
[11:14] | Our position is basically that they have no case | 我们认为对方的起诉 |
[11:17] | and it’s no coincidence… | 没有任何依据 |
[11:18] | …that this is the attorney claiming that they do. | 这位律师宣称他们有 其实并不奇怪 |
[11:21] | With your permission, Your Honor? | 承蒙准许 法官阁下 |
[11:29] | Do you know me? | 你认识我吗 |
[11:30] | You shouldn’t. No reason to. | 肯定不认识 没有理由认识我 |
[11:32] | I’m just a down-in-the-trenches lawyer… | 我只是一个底层的律师 |
[11:34] | …who does cases that will never be in the newspaper. | 我的案子永远也不会有人报道 |
[11:36] | Unexciting stuff, except to the people involved… | 不会有人感兴趣 除了当事人本人 |
[11:39] | …because their injuries are real. | 因为他们受到的伤害是真实的 |
[11:41] | And the money I get them is real. | 我为他们争取到的赔偿也是真实的 |
[11:43] | Somebody bang into your car lately? | 你的车最近撞到人了吗 |
[11:45] | Has a ladder fallen on your head? | 你的脑袋被楼梯砸到了吗 |
[11:46] | You step into a pothole? | 你掉进路上的坑里面了吗 |
[11:48] | Go to a big firm, see how much they care… | 你去个大律师事务所 看他们感不感兴趣 |
[11:51] | …then come to me. | 然后再来找我 |
[11:52] | Think nobody will fight for you? | 你觉得没有人会为你而战 |
[11:54] | You’re just a grunt? I’m a grunt. | 你只是个”草根”? 我是”草根” |
[11:57] | There’s a lawyer out there for you. It’s me. | 有一个律师愿意帮助你 就是我 |
[12:00] | Just dial the number 555-GRNT… | 拨打这个电话 555-GRNT |
[12:05] | …and ask for Jimmy, | 找Jimmy |
[12:06] | I’ll get your money. | 我会帮你争取到赔偿 |
[12:09] | Well, I think this advertisement makes the point. | 呃 我相信这个广告已经说明问题了 |
[12:11] | Jimmy the Grunt is a lawyer who will push forward with anything. | “草根律师Jimmy”是那种什么都要告的律师 |
[12:15] | This is an attorney who, as our documents will show… | 根据我们提交的文件 这位律师 |
[12:18] | …falsified bank records in order to secure funds for his firm. | 伪造贷款文件来帮他们的事务所融资 |
[12:22] | That’s stealing. This is an attorney who was very recently arrested… | 这是盗窃 这位律师不久之前还因为 |
[12:26] | …for soliciting a prostitute. | 招妓而被拘捕 |
[12:27] | This is an attorney who demeans our profession. | 这位律师玷污了我们的职业 |
[12:30] | And he continues to do so today… | 他今天提出这个自己都知道赢不了的诉讼 |
[12:32] | …by prosecuting a claim he knows he can’t make. | 是在继续玷污这个职业 |
[12:35] | You don’t know what I can or can’t make. | 你根本不了解我的能力 |
[12:37] | I know that you are pandering to cancer victims | 我只知道你怂恿癌症患者 |
[12:39] | and I find that very unfortunate. | 我觉得很可悲 |
[12:41] | What’s unfortunate is this cheap ambush, | 他这种卑鄙的突然袭击才可悲 |
[12:43] | your honor, which isn’t relevant to any… | 法官阁下 并且与案件毫无关联 |
[12:44] | It’s relevant to a Rule 11 motion whether or not | 律师是否基于善良意图行事 |
[12:46] | an attorney is acting in good faith… | 与”滥用诉权”动议相关 |
[12:48] | …and your firm historically does not. | 而你的事务所在这方面的记录很糟糕 |
[12:50] | Mr. Berluti solicits clients on television. | Berluti先生在电视上招揽顾客 |
[12:53] | That’s how he got these clients. That’s how he got this case… | 所以他找到了这些当事人 接下这个案子 |
[12:56] | …one which no other attorney of reputation would accept. | 任何看重自己名声的律师根本不会碰这个案子 |
[12:59] | So I put before the court… | 所以我想呈告法庭 |
[13:01] | …the civil action before you | 眼前的案件与 |
[13:02] | is commensurate with the attorney bringing it. | 代理该案件的律师正是一脉相承 |
[13:04] | And I must say that in 27 years of practice… | 我不得不说 在我27年的执业生涯中 |
[13:08] | …this is the first argument of this nature I have ever had to make. | 我是第一次被迫提出这样的动议 |
[13:14] | What did she say? | 她说什么没有 |
[13:16] | Nothing. | 没有 |
[13:19] | What could she say? | 她能说什么呢 |
[13:23] | What could I say? | 我又能说什么呢 |
[13:26] | I just left. | 我只能走开 |
[13:28] | Bobby, this was a fluke of circumstances. | Bobby 这一切纯属意外 |
[13:31] | You both have to realize this. | 你们俩都要意识到这一点 |
[13:34] | Five people are dead. | 死了五个人哪 |
[13:39] | You want me down at the hospital? | 需要我在医院呆着吗 |
[13:42] | I don’t know. I don’t trust them to… | 我不知道 我不信任他们 怕他们会… |
[13:44] | You know, sometimes when cops get shot… | 有时候 当警察被枪杀… |
[13:49] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[13:51] | Maybe. | 也许吧 |
[13:54] | – Robert Donnell? – Yeah? | -Robert Donnell? -我是 |
[13:56] | Please put your hands behind your back. Sir | 请把手放在背后 先生 |
[13:57] | What? Why? | 什么 怎么了 |
[13:59] | – Please. Sir. – What’s the charge here? | -请照我说的做 先生 -什么罪名 |
[14:00] | – Reckless homicide. – Homicide? | -过失杀人 -杀人? |
[14:02] | – You have the right to remain silent… – I know my rights. | -你有权保持沉默… -我知道我的权利 |
[14:04] | – I’ll surrender him to you… – Get your hands off me. | -我们可以配合拘捕… -把你的手拿开 |
[14:07] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[14:08] | Get off of him. Hey! | 把你的手拿开 嘿 |
[14:12] | Get your hands off me. | 把你的手拿开 |
[14:14] | You stay the hell back. | 你给我站远点 |
[14:15] | Get your hands off me. | 把你的手拿开 |
[14:18] | Get him out of here. | 把他带走 |
[14:23] | Jimmy, you’ve got to calm down. | Jimmy 你不要激动 |
[14:25] | Calm down? | 不要激动? |
[14:26] | I’m just glad my father’s dead. You know that? | 你知道吗 我很高兴我父亲已经过世了 |
[14:27] | So what got said never gets back to him. | 所以那些话他再也听不到了 |
[14:30] | I’m just glad… I wanna kill him. | 我很高兴…我要杀了他 |
[14:32] | But you said he was already dead. | 可是你说他已经过世了 |
[14:33] | Not my father. I wanna kill West. | 不是我父亲 我要杀了West |
[14:35] | I’m not a violent person. You know I’m not. | 我不是个暴戾的人 你知道我不是 |
[14:36] | I wanna drive over him with my car. | 我要开车撞死他 |
[14:38] | Would you listen to me, you have to go in there, | 你听我说 你必须回到法庭上 |
[14:40] | keep your head and just talk about the case. | 头脑清楚地辩论案件 |
[14:42] | What about what he said about me, about us? | 他攻击我 攻击我们的那些话怎么办 |
[14:44] | Just cover it quickly, you get back to the case. | 简单地回应一下 然后回到案件本身 |
[14:45] | The clients heard all that. Why should they trust…? | 当事人都听到了 他们还会信任… |
[14:47] | The clients are gonna be happy | 只要我们赢了简易判决动议 |
[14:48] | if we just win the motion. | 当事人就会很高兴 |
[14:50] | Jimmy, look at me. | Jimmy 看着我 |
[14:51] | You cannot go back in there and ramble, | 你不能回到法庭上去胡扯 |
[14:53] | for God’s sake. You have… | 老天爷 你必须… |
[14:54] | Just try not to sweat so much. | 尽量不要出那么多汗 |
[14:57] | Oh, thank you. | 哦 谢谢 |
[14:58] | Look, you keep your head and you talk about the case. | 听着 你要保持冷静 针对案件本身发言 |
[15:01] | Summary judgment favors the plaintiff, | 简易判决倾向于原告 |
[15:03] | so just address the claim. | 所以只要说明你的诉请 |
[15:04] | You have to argue that there’s sufficient facts | 你要强调有充分的事实 |
[15:06] | to sustain the cause of action… | 足以支撑诉由 |
[15:08] | …and that’s all. | 这就够了 |
[15:09] | I wanna kill him. | 我想杀了他 |
[15:10] | Well, you can kill him later. | 好 你可以以后再杀他 |
[15:16] | They will be arraigning you in about an hour. | 他们大概过一个小时提讯 |
[15:17] | We shouldn’t have to worry about bail. | 应该不会要求保释金 |
[15:19] | Who’s the DA? | 检察官是谁 |
[15:21] | I’m not sure. | 我还不知道 |
[15:22] | Look, they can’t make any of this stick. | 我看 他们不能把你怎么样 |
[15:25] | Three cops are dead and they want you to have a lousy day. | 三名警察殉职 他们就是想让你不爽 |
[15:29] | Eugene, could I have a second? | Eugene 我可以跟他说几句话吗 |
[15:37] | He is represented by counsel. | 他有律师代理 |
[15:39] | Thank you. I’ll keep that in mind. | 谢谢 我知道 |
[15:48] | Is this you to me… | 这是私人间的谈话 |
[15:50] | …or DA to suspect? | 还是检察官对嫌犯的谈话 |
[15:52] | That’s a funny question for you to be asking. | 你问这个问题有点可笑 |
[15:56] | It’s you and me, Bobby. | 是私人谈话 Bobby |
[15:59] | Firstly, I’m sorry. You have to know that. | 首先 我很抱歉 相信你也理解 |
[16:04] | You got information as a result of our personal relationship. | 你在我们的私人交往中得到消息 |
[16:08] | You used that information to put police officers at risk. | 你利用这个消息陷警官于危险之中 |
[16:13] | And police officers were killed. Saying you’re sorry… | 而且有警官为此殉职 你说你抱歉… |
[16:16] | It didn’t matter how I got the information, Helen. | 我怎么得到消息并不重要 Helen |
[16:18] | Once I got it, it would have been unethical for me | 一旦得到消息 如果我不告诉当事人 |
[16:21] | not to tell the client. | 那是违背职业道德 |
[16:23] | You were doing the ethical thing? | 你的做法是道德的? |
[16:27] | Telling drug dealers… | 你告诉毒贩 |
[16:29] | …men with assault weapons… | 持有攻击性武器的毒贩 |
[16:31] | telling them that the police officers were on their way? | 告诉他们警方正在去搜查他们的路上 |
[16:34] | That was the ethical thing to do? | 这样做是道德的吗 |
[16:36] | Put yourself in my position. | 站在我的角度想一想 |
[16:39] | For the last two hours, | 之前的两个小时 |
[16:40] | I’ve been trying to do that. | 我都一直试图从你的角度想 |
[16:44] | Then I guess we have nothing left to talk about, do we? | 那我想我们之间就没什么可谈的了 是吗 |
[16:50] | I guess we don’t. | 的确没有 |
[16:54] | 41842, Commonwealth | 41842 马萨诸塞州 |
[16:56] | v. Robert Donnell, reckless homicide. | 诉Robert Donnell 过失杀人 |
[17:00] | Eugene Young representing the defendant. Your honor. | Eugene Young为被告辩护 法官阁下 |
[17:02] | We’ll waive reading and | 我们放弃宣读权利 |
[17:03] | ask that you dismiss these ridiculous charges right now… | 请求法庭立即驳回这些荒唐的指控 |
[17:06] | Asher Silverman for the people, Your Honor. | Asher Silverman负责检控 法官阁下 |
[17:10] | The Commonwealth takes these “ridiculous” charges very seriously. | 州政府非常重视这些”荒唐”的指控 |
[17:13] | Three police officers are dead as a result of this man’s recklessness. | 由于被告的过失 致使三名警官殉职 |
[17:17] | This man is an attorney who has a legal obligation to | 被告作为律师 有法律义务 |
[17:19] | inform his clients they were about to become the object of a raid… | 告知自己的当事人他们即将被搜查… |
[17:19] | There was never any legal obligation to | 从来没有任何法律义务 |
[17:21] | set law enforcement up for an ambush. | 要求将执法人员引入埋伏 |
[17:24] | I don’t listen when everybody talks, gentlemen. | 大家一齐开口说话 我就听不清了 先生们 |
[17:28] | Your Honor, may I take a second to confer with my client? | 法官阁下 我可以跟我的当事人商量一下吗 |
[17:32] | Take two. | 尽管商量 |
[17:38] | It’s decision time. | 现在要做个决定 |
[17:40] | Obviously they’re playing for keeps. | 他们显然是动真格的了 |
[17:42] | They brought in Silverman. | 他们派来了Silverman |
[17:43] | We don’t want a jury to get a crack at this. Bobby. | 我们不能指望陪审团对我们有利 Bobby |
[17:45] | Three of the good guys were killed. | 三个好人被杀害 |
[17:47] | Probable cause hearing? | 正当诉由听证? |
[17:49] | And we put on a full defense. | 而且必须全力以赴 |
[17:51] | We’re better off with a judge than a jury. | 让法官裁量比让陪审团裁量胜算更大 |
[17:54] | What do we know about her? | 这个法官怎么样 |
[17:55] | Wacko out of the robe, | 工作以外是个怪人 |
[17:57] | a stickler in it. | 但是个公正坚守法律的法官 |
[17:58] | Which is what we want. | 正是我们想要的 |
[18:04] | Okay. | 好 |
[18:07] | Your Honor, defense moves for a probable cause hearing. | 法官阁下 辩方申请正当诉由听证 |
[18:10] | Ten o’clock tomorrow. | 明天10点 |
[18:11] | The Commonwealth would be seeking bail, your honor, in that… | 检方要求被告缴纳保释金 法官阁下 因为… |
[18:14] | Nope. I’ll grant O.R. | 不 我允许被告具结保释 【注:即无需缴纳保释金 只需口头保证按时到庭】 |
[18:16] | Three police officers are dead. | 三名警官殉职 |
[18:19] | Let’s not turn that into a jingle. | 不要把这句话说成顺口溜似的 |
[18:22] | Personal recognizance, 10:00 tomorrow. | 具结保释 明天10点 |
[18:24] | I like to start on time. | 我希望你们准时到庭 |
[18:30] | You really can’t take it personally, | 你不能把这件事跟私人感情搅在一起 |
[18:32] | Helen. You know you can’t. | Helen 你自己知道 |
[18:34] | You don’t think that… | 你不觉得… |
[18:39] | Lindsay, we were making love on the bathroom floor | Lindsay 那个电话打进来的时候 |
[18:42] | when that call came in. | 我们正在浴室地板上做爱 |
[18:44] | Bobby in a bathroom? | Bobby在浴室? |
[18:46] | – That’s not really the issue. – I know. | -那不是重点 -我知道 |
[18:48] | But a bathroom just seems a little exotic for him, | 但是浴室对Bobby来说有点前卫 |
[18:51] | from what you tell me. | 根据你告诉我的情况来看 |
[18:52] | Well, you know him more than I. | 你比我更了解他 |
[18:54] | I know he felt an obligation to the client. | 我知道他觉得对当事人负有义务 |
[18:57] | He’s an honest person, right? | 他是个诚实的人 对吗 |
[18:58] | Bobby? Of course. He’s honest. | Bobby? 当然 他很诚实 |
[19:03] | – Why do you say it like that? – Like what? | -你怎么这样的语气 -什么语气 |
[19:05] | With your voice fluttering a little. | 你的声音有点颤抖 |
[19:07] | I’m not fluttering. | 我没有颤抖 |
[19:08] | – You are. – I’m not. | -你有 -我没有 |
[19:11] | Flitterer. | 你颤抖了 |
[19:12] | I’m not flittering. Damn it. | 我没有颤抖 该死的 |
[19:18] | What do you mean you wanna tell her? | 什么意思 什么叫你想告诉她 |
[19:19] | I know the timing of this couldn’t be worse, | 我知道现在是最糟糕的时机 |
[19:21] | but she’s one of my best friends. | 但她是我最好的朋友 |
[19:22] | I can’t lie to her. I just can’t. | 我不能对她撒谎 我没办法 |
[19:24] | Let me just recap things to see if I understand things correctly. | 我概括一下 看我理解对没有 |
[19:28] | While you and I were being recreational… | 当我跟你有恋情的时候 |
[19:31] | …Helen asked you if there was anything going on between us… | Helen问我们之间有没有发生什么 |
[19:34] | and you said no | 你说没有 |
[19:35] | because you sensed that she was interested in me | 因为你觉得她对我有意 |
[19:38] | …and that if she knew about you and me, | 如果告诉了她 |
[19:39] | this would be a deterrent… | 那么我跟Helen就 |
[19:41] | …to Helen and me ever getting together. | 走不到一起了 |
[19:43] | Correct. | 没错 |
[19:45] | Then, Helen and I did get together… | 然后 Helen跟我真的在一起了 |
[19:47] | …and you and I stopped being recreational. | 我跟你的关系也终止了 |
[19:51] | And you said there was no reason to tell her | 你说没有理由再告诉她 |
[19:53] | because the past was the past… | 因为过去的都已经过去了 |
[19:55] | …and it really didn’t affect her. | 而且实际上也不会影响她 |
[19:57] | Correct. | 没错 |
[19:59] | So, what now has changed? | 那么 出现了什么新情况 |
[20:02] | What’s changed is this is a little bit of crisis here | 新情况是 现在出现了一点危机 |
[20:04] | and I feel like a liar by not telling her. | 如果不告诉她 我觉得自己是个骗子 |
[20:07] | Okay. Here’s the thing. | 听我说 是这样的 |
[20:12] | I really like her. | 我真的喜欢她 |
[20:14] | At this moment, she’s not particularly liking me. | 在这个时候 她没那么喜欢我 |
[20:18] | She thinks I betrayed her. | 她觉得我背叛了她 |
[20:20] | If she were now to learn that I had been | 如果她知道我 |
[20:23] | sleeping with her best friend… | 跟她最好的朋友上床 |
[20:24] | …l’m afraid it could be detrimental to our progress as a couple. | 恐怕会不利于我跟她今后的发展 |
[20:28] | Yes, but… | 是的 但是… |
[20:29] | Lindsay, I agree at some point maybe we should tell her. | Lindsay 我同意也许我们迟早要告诉她 |
[20:32] | But could you please allow me to put a little distance | 但是能不能等我解决了 |
[20:34] | between me and these multiple murder charges | 这几桩谋杀指控之后 |
[20:37] | before we do that. | 我们再告诉她? |
[20:39] | Okay. Of course. | 好的 当然 |
[20:42] | Great. | 那就好 |
[20:47] | You can’t do this to me. | 你不能这么做 |
[20:49] | I have no choice. I’ve got to show a chain of events. | 我也没办法 我必须证明这一连串的事件 |
[20:52] | I don’t think I’m somebody you wanna be calling. | 我相信我不是你想要的证人 |
[20:54] | I’m not sympathetic to this prosecution. | 我不赞成对他提起检控 |
[20:57] | I won’t be calling upon you as an advocate, | 我并不是要你赞成我 |
[20:59] | I just need the facts. | 我只需要你陈述的事实 |
[21:00] | I’ll stipulate that he got the information from me. | 我可以书面陈述他是从我这里得到消息的 |
[21:03] | Ms. Gamble, I’m not a man prone to vulgarity… | Gamble小姐 我并不是一个粗鲁的人 |
[21:07] | …but your ass is already in the grinder. | 但是这把火已经烧到你的屁股了 |
[21:09] | I suggest you cooperate with the office that employs you. | 我建议你跟自己工作的单位配合 |
[21:16] | Mr. Silverman, you don’t scare me. | Silverman先生 你吓不倒我 |
[21:22] | Well, in that case… | 呃 既然这样 |
[21:26] | …here’s a subpoena. | 这是传票 |
[21:40] | – Excuse me. – Oh, pardon me. | -对不起 -哦 不好意思 |
[21:51] | I hope you do realize that’s one of | 我希望你了解 那是我 |
[21:52] | the more unpleasant arguments I ever had to make. | 不得不做的最不情愿的法庭辩论 |
[21:55] | – But you got through it just the same. – Jimmy. | -但是你还是做了 -Jimmy |
[21:59] | – Mr. Berluti… – Don’t you apologize… | -Berluti先生 -不要跟我道歉 |
[22:01] | …or look at me like you had no choice. | 也不要表现得好像你别无选择似的 |
[22:03] | You made your choice. | 是你自己选择的 |
[22:04] | Yes. And you made yours. | 是 你也是自己选择的 |
[22:15] | Well, I suppose I should be grateful I wasn’t assaulted. | 哦 我真该庆幸我没有被打 |
[22:18] | Not yet. | 暂时还没有 |
[22:20] | You could have taken it to chambers, Mr. West. | 你本来可以在法官办公室提 West先生 |
[22:22] | but you chose to do it in open court. | 但是你选择在公开的法庭上提出来 |
[22:24] | You’re suing us in the open, counsel. | 你们公开地起诉我们 律师 |
[22:25] | We respond in kind. | 我们是以牙还牙 |
[22:27] | Yeah? Well, so do we. | 是吗 嗯 我们也会 |
[22:32] | What were you doing when the phone call came in? | 电话打来的时候 你在做什么 |
[22:34] | I had just taken a shower. | 我在洗淋浴 |
[22:35] | What did Officer Walpole tell you? | Walpole警官跟你说了什么 |
[22:38] | Hearsay. | 传闻证据 |
[22:38] | Not offered for the truth, Your Honor. | 不用于证明事实 法官阁下 |
[22:41] | Just to establish the words were spoken. | 只是证实说了这些话本身 |
[22:43] | I’ll allow it. | 允许质询 |
[22:45] | What did he say? | 他说了什么 |
[22:46] | Something to the effect… | 大概意思是 |
[22:48] | …that our informant thought he was Abraham Lincoln in a past life. | 我们的线人觉得自己前世是亚伯拉罕·林肯 |
[22:52] | We were concerned that he might not | 我们担心他的可靠性 |
[22:53] | pass reliability under the Aguilar test… | 达不到阿吉拉尔标准 |
[22:56] | …and we wouldn’t get our warrant. | 以至于我们申请不到搜查令 |
[22:57] | Your informant thought he was Abraham Lincoln? | 你的线人觉得自己是亚伯拉罕·林肯? |
[22:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:00] | He’d get headaches when he went to the theater. | 他去剧场就会头痛 |
[23:03] | Was that his joke or yours, Ms. Gamble? | 那是你们之间的玩笑吗 Gamble小姐 |
[23:07] | You have a personal relationship with the defendant? | 你跟被告有私人交往? |
[23:10] | We date. | 我们在约会 |
[23:11] | That’s why he was in my apartment when the phone call came in. | 所以电话打来的时候他正在我家里 |
[23:15] | That’s how he overheard we were scheduling a raid… | 所以他无意中听到我们正在计划 |
[23:17] | …on Mr. Isikoff’s safe house. | 对Isikoff先生藏身的地方进行搜查 |
[23:19] | So the defendant knew about the raid? | 那么被告知道这次的搜查? |
[23:21] | I’d answer, but the defense is about to object. | 我倒是愿意回答 但是辩方会反对 |
[23:24] | Objection. The witness isn’t competent to say… | 反对 证人没有能力证明 |
[23:27] | …what the defendant may or may not have known. | 被告知道什么或不知道什么 |
[23:29] | Let’s speed this up, shall we? | 我们不要耽搁时间 好吗 |
[23:31] | After the shootout, did you and the defendant have a conversation? | 枪战发生之后 你跟被告是否谈过话 |
[23:35] | Yes. | 谈过 |
[23:35] | And did he tell you… | 他有没有告诉你 |
[23:37] | …whether he informed Mr. Isikoff | 他是否事先通知了Isikoff先生 |
[23:39] | in advance that a police raid was coming? | 警方即将对他进行搜查 |
[23:42] | He told me that he felt legally obligated | 他告诉我说他觉得有法律义务 |
[23:44] | to reveal the information to his client. | 将消息告知他的当事人 |
[23:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:50] | Thank you, Ms. Gamble. | 谢谢 Gamble小姐 |
[23:52] | My client ever ask you for information | 我的当事人有没有向你打听 |
[23:53] | about this raid? | 关于这次搜查的消息 |
[23:55] | No. | 没有 |
[23:56] | Did Mr. Donnell continue to discuss | 在Donnell先生得知 |
[23:58] | this case after he learned the suspect | 嫌疑犯是自己的当事人之后 |
[24:00] | was his own client? | 有没有继续跟你讨论案件 |
[24:02] | No. | 没有 |
[24:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:06] | Mr. Berluti? | Berluti先生 |
[24:13] | The complaint alleges material facts in dispute. | 原告提出了存在争议的重要事实问题 |
[24:17] | The discovery includes epidemiological studies… | 我们展示了流行病学研究结果 |
[24:20] | …suggesting a causal link between power lines | 证明高压线和特定类型的癌症之间 |
[24:22] | and certain types of cancer. | 存在因果关系 |
[24:24] | The complaint also alleges | 原告还指出 |
[24:26] | a lack of serious statewide studies… | 缺乏严谨的全州范围内的研究 |
[24:29] | …to determine the risks of electromagnetic fields. | 来判断电磁场的危险性 |
[24:33] | Those four people live within 100 yards | 那四个人都住在距 |
[24:36] | of Boston Power Company power lines. | 波士顿电力公司的高压线100码以内 |
[24:38] | They live within one square mile of each other. | 并且四个人同在一平方英里的范围内 |
[24:43] | This one has a brain tumor. This one, leukemia. | 这一位患了脑瘤 这一位 白血病 |
[24:47] | This one, also leukemia. And this one, brain cancer. | 这一位也是白血病 还有这位 脑瘤 |
[24:52] | They didn’t get sick because I ran a commercial. | 他们不是因为我做了广告就得病的 |
[24:56] | They didn’t get sick because I demeaned the legal profession. | 他们不是因为我玷污了法律职业就得病的 |
[25:00] | There’s a cancer cluster in Fairfield, Massachusetts. | 马萨诸塞州的Fairfield 存在群发的癌症 |
[25:03] | People are dying. | 居民正在死去 |
[25:05] | And he’s asking you to ignore this… | 而他要求你忽略不见 |
[25:08] | …because he thinks my law firm is disreputable. | 因为他觉得我的事务所名声不好 |
[25:12] | We’ve been called these things | 我那”名声不好”的事务所 |
[25:13] | before at my “disreputable” firm. | 以前也这样被人攻击过 |
[25:16] | The last time was when we sued a tobacco company. | 上一次是我们起诉烟草公司的时候 |
[25:19] | They brought a summary judgment motion too. | 他们同样提出了简易判决的动议 |
[25:22] | Arguing as a matter of law, we had no case. | 声称从法律的角度上 我们的案子不成立 |
[25:25] | Cigarettes couldn’t possibly cause cancer. | 香烟不可能导致癌症 |
[25:33] | When we first got to the apartment building, | 当我们赶到大楼外面的时候 |
[25:35] | we did notice some activity… | 我们注意到一些迹象 |
[25:36] | …but we didn’t really think there was a connection. | 但我们没有意识到跟我们有什么关系 |
[25:38] | What do you mean, activity? | 什么意思 一些迹象? |
[25:39] | There were cars leaving, pulling out. | 有些车子在离开 撤走 |
[25:41] | No people or plates that we recognized. | 那些人和车牌号我们都不认识 |
[25:44] | But the feel. | 但是有种直觉 |
[25:46] | It just wasn’t “sleepy,” is the best I can describe it. | 我觉得最恰当的说法是 有点不安 |
[25:50] | Could you describe what happened next? | 请你陈述一下接下来发生的事 |
[25:53] | We moved in. We had 11 officers in all. | 我们冲进去 我们一共有11位警官 |
[25:57] | We wore vests and the front line had helmets. | 我们穿着防弹背心 前排的人戴着头盔 |
[25:59] | Six of us went up the stairway, | 六个人沿楼梯上楼 |
[26:01] | the other five secured the area. | 另外五个负责掩护 |
[26:03] | We weren’t using the battering ram, | 我们没有使用破门工具 |
[26:04] | because our informant had actually given us a key. | 因为线人给我们提供了钥匙 |
[26:07] | To Mr. Isikoff’s apartment? | Isikoff先生住处的钥匙? |
[26:08] | Yes. And we approached the door. | 是的 我们来到门外 |
[26:10] | we did hear some scuffling behind it, but not much. | 我们听到里面有些脚步声 但不明显 |
[26:13] | And then, that’s when it happened. | 然后 事情就发生了 |
[26:15] | What happened? | 发生了什么事 |
[26:18] | We sprang through the door and there they were, waiting. | 我们打开门 他们就在里面 严阵以待 |
[26:23] | Like they were expecting us. | 就像他们在等我们上门 |
[26:24] | Continue. | 继续 |
[26:25] | I just heard the shots. I could smell the powder. | 我只听到枪声 闻到火药味 |
[26:28] | Assault weapons. It’s like they had an arsenal. | 攻击性武器 好像他们有个军火库似的 |
[26:31] | You were shot? | 你中弹了? |
[26:32] | In the shoulder. | 肩部中弹 |
[26:34] | It knocked me back down the stairs. | 中弹后我顺着楼梯滚下去 |
[26:37] | And the shooting just seemed to go on and on. | 枪声似乎永远都停不下来 |
[26:40] | What did you see next? | 你接下来看到了什么 |
[26:41] | The next thing I remember seeing was Kevin Greene. | 我记得我接下来看到了Kevin Greene |
[26:44] | He fell on top of me. | 他倒在了我身上 |
[26:45] | Who is Kevin Greene? | Kevin Greene是谁 |
[26:47] | My part… | 我的搭… |
[26:49] | He was my partner. | 他生前是我的搭档 |
[26:51] | He had been shot in the head. | 他头部中枪 |
[26:52] | He was dead? | 他死了吗 |
[26:53] | Not yet. | 当时还没有 |
[26:55] | He was looking at me | 他看着我 |
[26:57] | like he didn’t know what had happened. | 好像不知道发生了什么事 |
[26:59] | And it looked like he couldn’t breathe… | 而且 他好像没法呼吸 |
[27:04] | …because there was this stuff in his mouth. | 因为他嘴里有个什么东西 |
[27:10] | He just kept looking back… | 他一直回头看 |
[27:12] | Looking back at me. | 回头看着我 |
[27:15] | Were you able to get him to breathe? | 你有没有帮他重新呼吸 |
[27:21] | No. | 做不到 |
[27:24] | Officer Horton, you’ve testified that they were waiting. | Horton警官 你说他们在等你们上门 |
[27:31] | Are you sure about this? | 对此你确定吗 |
[27:33] | Yes, I am. | 是 我确定 |
[27:36] | As soon as the door opened, we were looking at gun barrels. | 门一打开 我们就看到枪管 |
[27:39] | And I saw some of their eyes. | 我看到他们有些人的眼神 |
[27:42] | They weren’t surprised. | 他们并不惊讶 |
[27:45] | We were the ones surprised. | 惊讶的是我们 |
[27:47] | They knew we were coming. | 他们知道我们要去 |
[27:51] | So you didn’t do any cross? | 这么说你没有对他质询? |
[27:52] | No point. | 没有意义 |
[27:54] | It’s a lousy time to say I told you so. | 现在跟你说这个可能时机并不恰当 |
[27:55] | Then maybe you shouldn’t. | 那你就别说 |
[27:57] | Drug lawyers always become targets. | 毒品律师总是成为被攻击的目标 |
[27:59] | It’s not just that. We’ve been beating them on everything. | 不仅如此 我们一直打赢他们 |
[28:01] | Gerald Braun Victoria Keenan Gerald Braun, Victoria Keenan | |
[28:04] | And you knwo what, | 还有 |
[28:05] | we’ve been under attack in our power lines case too. | 我们在高压线的案子中也被攻击了 |
[28:07] | The defendant’s lawyer, you should have heard his spew. | 被告的律师 你真该听听他的口水 |
[28:10] | So did we win the motion? | 那么这个正当诉由听证我们赢了没有 |
[28:13] | No, not yet. | 没 还没有 |
[28:27] | Can I come in? | 我可以进来吗 |
[28:40] | Firstly, I wanted to thank you for today. | 首先 谢谢你今天的作证 |
[28:41] | I know you were under a subpoena. | 我知道你收到了传票 |
[28:45] | And I’d also like to thank you for… | 另外我还要感谢你… |
[28:47] | For what? | 感谢我什么 |
[28:48] | For sticking by you? I didn’t do that. | 谢我站在你一边? 我没有站在你一边 |
[28:52] | I objected to you being prosecuted. | 我只是反对起诉你 |
[28:54] | I wasn’t defending what you did. | 我不是为你的行为辩护 |
[28:57] | – Helen, I know… – Bobby, look. | -Helen 我知道… -Bobby 听着 |
[28:59] | If you’ve come here to account for yourself, please get out. | 如果你是来为自己辩解的 请你出去 |
[29:02] | I get your position. | 我理解你的立场 |
[29:05] | Plus, you’ll be on stand tomorrow and we both know… | 而且你明天要出庭作证 我们都知道 |
[29:07] | …testimony comes off more persuasive | 没有经过事先演练的证词 |
[29:09] | when it isn’t rehearsed. | 更有说服力 |
[29:10] | You say you get my position. | 你说你理解我的立场 |
[29:11] | Well, I’m here, hoping that you’ll understand… | 好 我希望你理解… |
[29:13] | – Just get out. – Come on, Helen, please. | -给我出去 -别这样 Helen 求你了 |
[29:15] | Get out! Get out! | 出去 出去 |
[29:17] | Get out! Get out! Get out! | 出去 出去 出去 |
[29:22] | It isn’t you. Don’t you think I know that? | 不是你的错 你以为我不明白吗 |
[29:25] | You’re a defense attorney. | 你是辩护律师 |
[29:26] | The guy’s your client. | 他是你的当事人 |
[29:30] | I’m the one who screwed up. | 是我把事情搞糟了 |
[29:32] | You? You can’t blame yourself. | 你? 你不能责怪自己 |
[29:34] | Are you crazy? | 你傻了吗 |
[29:39] | Everybody was doing their job except me. | 每个人都在履行自己的职责 除了我 |
[29:43] | Those people are dead because I didn’t do mine. | 那些人殉职是因为我没有做好自己的事 |
[29:51] | I’m angry at myself. | 我恨自己 |
[29:54] | Maybe I even hate what… | 也许我甚至讨厌… |
[29:58] | But I won’t lie. | 但是我说老实话 |
[30:01] | I’m not sure I can ever look at you without… | 我不知道我再看着你的时候 会不会… |
[30:10] | Please, just get out. | 拜托 请你出去 |
[30:13] | Helen Helen. | |
[30:31] | I had no way of knowing a shootout would ensue… | 我不可能知道会发生枪战 |
[30:33] | …and I certainly never counseled | 我也绝对不可能建议 |
[30:34] | my client toward violence. | 我的当事人采取暴力手段 |
[30:36] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 |
[30:39] | Did you know that your client | 你是否知道你的当事人 |
[30:40] | had sophisticated assault weapons? | 拥有精良的攻击性武器 |
[30:43] | Did I know it? No. | 我是否知道? 不知道 |
[30:45] | Did it surprise you to learn that Mr. Isikoff… | 当你得知Isikoff先生的藏身之处 |
[30:50] | …had weapons in his safe house? | 存放有武器的时候 是否觉得惊讶 |
[30:52] | I had no specific knowledge that they had weapons. | 我并不确切地知道他们拥有武器 |
[30:55] | Did it surprise you to learn that he did? | 当你得知他们拥有武器后是否觉得惊讶 |
[30:57] | No. | 不觉得 |
[30:59] | Did it surprise you that | 你得知他们那里有 |
[31:00] | they had cocaine and heroin there? | 可卡因和海洛因 是否觉得惊讶 |
[31:03] | No. | 不觉得 |
[31:04] | In your mind, when you told Mr. Isikoff that the police | 当你告诉Isikoff先生 警方即将 |
[31:07] | were about to raid his safe house | 对他的住处进行搜查 |
[31:09] | did you make room for the possiblity that | 你内心是否意识到他们有可能 |
[31:11] | they might use those weapons to fight back? | 用这些武器来反击 |
[31:13] | Well, I really didn’t think that far ahead. | 呃 我真的没有想那么远 |
[31:15] | You didn’t think that far ahead. | 你没有想那么远 |
[31:17] | What did you think Mr. Isikoff would do | 你觉得Isikoff |
[31:19] | with the information you’d given him? | 得到你的消息之后会怎么做 |
[31:21] | Well, my job was just to give him the information, counsel. | 我的工作只是把这些消息告诉他 律师 |
[31:24] | You’re quite a taskmaster with your job, aren’t you? | 你对自己的工作很在行 不是吗 |
[31:27] | Objection. | 反对 |
[31:28] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[31:29] | When Mr. Isikoff left your car, | 当Isikoff先生离开你的车 |
[31:31] | did you consider that he might go to his house… | 你是否考虑过他可能回去 |
[31:34] | …gather his belongings before the police could get there? | 在警方赶到之前收拾行装 |
[31:37] | I considered that. Yes. | 我考虑到了 是的 |
[31:39] | Did you consider that the police could get there… | 你是否考虑到 有可能警方赶到的时候 |
[31:42] | …while Mr. Isikoff was still in the house? | Isikoff先生仍然在屋内 |
[31:46] | Did you consider… | 你是否考虑到 |
[31:48] | …that the police could get there | 有可能警方赶到的时候 |
[31:49] | while Mr. Isikoff was still in the house? | Isikoff先生仍然在屋内 |
[31:52] | I don’t remember specifically considering it… | 我并不记得是否明确地考虑过 |
[31:55] | …but nor do I remember ruling that possibility out. | 但是我也不记得是否排除了这种可能性 |
[32:00] | What a lovely answer. | 多么巧妙的回答 |
[32:01] | Objection. | 反对 |
[32:02] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[32:04] | Did you ever consider calling the police and saying: | 你是否考虑过给警方打个电话说 |
[32:07] | “Hey, call off your raid, | 嘿 取消你们的搜查行动 |
[32:09] | they know you’re coming.” | 他们知道你们要去 |
[32:10] | Did you ever think of telling the police that? | 你有没有想过给警方报个信 |
[32:12] | No. | 没有 |
[32:17] | Who is Jack Cowley? | Jack Cowley是谁 |
[32:24] | Who is Jack Cowley? | Jack Cowley是谁 |
[32:30] | He was evidently the informant the police were using… | 显然 他是警方用来获取 |
[32:33] | …to get their search warrant. | 搜查令的线人 |
[32:35] | Did you tell Mr. Isikoff that Jack Cowley | 你有没有告诉Isikoff先生 |
[32:36] | was working with the police? | Jack Cowley是警方的人 |
[32:38] | My communication with Mr. Isikoff would be privileged, | 我跟Isikoff先生的谈话内容受保密特权保护 |
[32:42] | Mr. Silverman. | Silverman先生 |
[32:43] | Yes, you’re quite correct. | 是的 完全正确 |
[32:44] | But that privilege belongs to Mr. Isikoff | 但是此种特权属于Isikoff先生 |
[32:46] | and he has waived it. | 但他放弃了 |
[32:47] | And he told the police that you told him that | 他告诉警方说 |
[32:49] | Jack Cowley was the informant. | 你告诉他Jack Cowley是线人 |
[32:52] | Would that be correct? | 是这样吗 |
[32:53] | Objection, Mr. Isikoff is represented by counsel. | 反对 Isikoff先生由律师代理 |
[32:56] | The police were told not to speak to him. | 我们已经要求警方不准跟他谈话 |
[32:58] | Any conversation with John Isikoff | 跟John Isikoff的任何谈话 |
[33:00] | is a violation of the Sixth Amendment. | 都违反了第六修正案 |
[33:02] | Sixth Amendment protections go to the client, not the lawyer. | 第六修正案保护的是当事人 不是律师 |
[33:05] | Doesn’t matter. John Isikoff lacks | 没有区别 John Isikoff没有 |
[33:06] | the legal capacity to waive that right. | 法律上的能力去放弃这种权利 |
[33:08] | – Innes v. Rhode Island. – Yes. | -Innes诉罗德岛案 -没错 |
[33:10] | And should the police ever use | 如果警方用这些供述 |
[33:11] | those statements against Mr. Isikoff… | 来针对Isikoff先生 |
[33:13] | …you’d have cause to suppress them, | 你有理由排除它们 |
[33:15] | but I’m not going after Mr. Isikoff here. | 但是我并没有用来针对Isikoff先生 |
[33:19] | I’m going after you. | 我针对的是你 |
[33:20] | Your Honor. | 法官阁下 |
[33:21] | He’s right. | 他说的对 |
[33:22] | You can’t assert somebody else’s constitutional rights… | 你不能援引其他人的宪法权利 |
[33:25] | …in order to protect Mr. Donnell, counsel. | 来保护Donnell先生 律师 |
[33:28] | I don’t really believe I need to tell you that. | 我觉得这一点不需要我来解释 |
[33:32] | Did you tell Mr. Isikoff that | 你有没有告诉Isikoff先生 |
[33:33] | Jack Cowley was the police informant? | Jack Cowley是警方的线人 |
[33:36] | No. I asked him if he knew him. | 没有 我问他是否认识这个人 |
[33:39] | When he said yes, | 他说认识 |
[33:40] | did you tell him about the police raid? | 你是否接下来就告诉他警方搜查的事 |
[33:45] | That’s right. | 是这样 |
[33:48] | Did you ever consider that your client might be able… | 你是否想过 你的当事人也许 |
[33:50] | …to put two and two together? | 能够看出其中的关系 |
[33:52] | Objection. | 反对 |
[33:53] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[33:54] | Were you shocked, Mr. Donnell… | Donnell先生 当你知道 |
[33:55] | …to learn that Jack Cowley was found dead | Jack Cowley后脑中枪身亡的时候 |
[33:57] | with a bullet in the back of his head…? | 是否感到震惊 |
[33:59] | – Objection! – Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[34:01] | I think we’re done. | 我想我不用再问了 |
[34:08] | We’re in trouble. | 我们麻烦大了 |
[34:10] | Bobby, if this goes to trial, | Bobby 如果这个案子上庭审判 |
[34:11] | we’re gonna have to consider a plea. | 我们将不得不考虑认罪 |
[34:14] | A drug lawyer sets up the police for an ambush. | 一个毒品律师把警察引入埋伏圈 |
[34:17] | You were pretty much an executioner for Cowley. | Cowley也基本上是因你而死 |
[34:20] | Our only defense is the canon of ethics. | 我们唯一的辩护理由就是职业道德 |
[34:22] | Legally, we gotta argue that | 法律上 我们必须辩护说 |
[34:24] | what you did was ethical… | 你的行为符合职业道德 |
[34:26] | …and hope that the judge will buy it | 并且期望法官会买账 |
[34:27] | because no jury ever will. | 因为没有哪个陪审团会买账 |
[34:34] | I’ll close. | 我来做结案陈词 |
[34:36] | I’m not so sure that’s smart. | 我不确定这样是否明智 |
[34:39] | I’ll close. | 我来做结案陈词 |
[34:43] | Mr. Berluti, would you stand up? | Berluti先生 请起立 |
[34:49] | I’m tempted to say, “Will the defendant please rise.” | 我很想说 “被告请起立” |
[34:53] | One of the problems with the proliferation of law schools, | 随着法学院 夜校 在职学校 沙龙 |
[34:55] | night schools, part-time schools, salons | 还有那种”等着头发变干 |
[34:59] | come-get-a-shampoo- earn-a-law-degree | 立等可得洗发水和法律学位”的泛滥 |
[35:02] | while-you-wait-for-your-hair-to-dry” | 带来的问题之一是 |
[35:04] | we overflood the market with attorneys, | 法律服务市场上充斥太多的律师 |
[35:06] | who because of the competition | 他们因为竞争的缘故 |
[35:08] | have to go out and create litigation, | 不得不出去制造诉讼案件 |
[35:09] | just so they can scratch a living. | 以维持生存 |
[35:12] | I hate it. | 我对此很厌恶 |
[35:14] | And you’re a poster boy for the problem. | 你是这一问题的典型表现 |
[35:17] | That having been said… | 说完这些之后 |
[35:18] | …this complaint does allege disputable questions of fact. | 我认为本案涉及对事实问题的争议 |
[35:22] | Defendant’s motion for summary judgment is denied. | 驳回被告的简易判决动议 |
[35:25] | I’m scheduling a pretrial for Monday. | 下星期一预审 |
[35:27] | I want witness lists no later than Friday. | 证人名单必须在下周五之前提交 |
[35:31] | See you soon. | 再见 |
[35:35] | – We won. – We did. | -我们赢了 -我们赢了 |
[35:37] | – He didn’t kick it. – Nope. | -他没有把我们的案子驳掉 -没有 |
[35:38] | Of couse now we have to try it, Jimmy. | 现在我们必须上庭审理 Jimmy |
[35:40] | We’ll try it. I’m ready. | 我们要上庭 我准备好了 |
[35:49] | I’m not gonna stand up here and defend my actions… | 我不准备站在这里 从道德的立场上 |
[35:53] | …from a moral position. | 为我的行为辩解 |
[35:55] | Not to you. | 不能向你们做出辩解 |
[36:02] | Certainly not to any of you. | 当然也不能向你们任何人辩解 |
[36:07] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[36:14] | Legally, I fulfilled my ethical obligation to my client. | 法律上 我遵守了对我的当事人的职业伦理 |
[36:18] | Morally, I betrayed the men who were killed. | 道德上 我背叛了被杀害的人 |
[36:22] | Legally, I traded on information | 法律上 我披露了 |
[36:24] | I received through a social relationship. | 在私人交往中得到的消息 |
[36:27] | Morally, I betrayed a trust with Helen Gamble. | 道德上 我背叛了Helen Gamble的信任 |
[36:33] | My only defense here… | 我唯一的辩解 |
[36:35] | …is legal. | 在于法律 |
[36:38] | I’m a criminal defense attorney. | 我是个刑事辩护律师 |
[36:41] | I represent bad people. | 我替坏人辩护 |
[36:44] | The adversary system is premised on | 对抗制诉讼体系的前提就在于 |
[36:48] | the defense attorney doing whatever he can to get the guy off. | 辩护律师竭尽所能来帮当事人脱罪 |
[36:54] | It’s drummed into us. | 这是我们的信条 |
[36:55] | We are bound by the limits of the law. | 我们负有法律上的义务 |
[36:58] | But only the law. | 只有法律上的义务 |
[37:01] | Morality. | 道德 |
[37:03] | Right or wrong. | 正确或错误 |
[37:06] | Justice. | 正义 |
[37:10] | If a criminal lawyer starts asking himself, | 如果一个刑事辩护律师开始问自己 |
[37:12] | “What’s the just result here? | “这个案子公正的结果是怎样” |
[37:15] | How should we get to there?” | “我们怎样达到这个结果” |
[37:19] | He’s lost. | 那他就迷失了方向 |
[37:23] | It’s not a noble excuse. | 这不是一个高尚的辩解 |
[37:29] | But a legal one. | 但却是符合法律精神的 |
[37:40] | “Do whatever you can to get the guy off.” | “竭尽所能为当事人脱罪” |
[37:45] | Mr. Donnell says that is the credo of a defense attorney. | Donnell先生说那是辩护律师的信条 |
[37:49] | Today, he stands here apologizing for it. | 今天 他站在这里为此道歉 |
[37:53] | Last year after one of your clients… | 去年 在你的某个当事人 |
[37:56] | …committed a premeditated revenge murder… | 实施了有预谋的仇杀之后 |
[37:59] | …you stood in this very courthouse… | 你站在这同一间法庭 |
[38:02] | …and argued law be damned, morality should win out. | 辩解说让法律见鬼去 道德更重要 |
[38:05] | Today, you exalt the law | 今天 你抬高法律 |
[38:06] | to justify immorality. | 来为不道德提供正当性 |
[38:09] | Whatever you can to get the guy off. | 竭尽所能为当事人脱罪 |
[38:11] | Face me, Mr. Silverman. | 对着我发言 Silverman先生 |
[38:15] | If a client is about to kill… | 如果当事人准备杀人 |
[38:18] | …his lawyer has always been allowed to reveal that. | 他的律师始终可以予以披露 |
[38:21] | Privilege has never been given priority | 保密特权永远不能 |
[38:23] | over the threat of bodily harm. | 优先于人身危险 |
[38:27] | Mr. Donnell knew that | Donnell先生知道 |
[38:29] | his clients were violent. | 自己的当事人会使用暴力 |
[38:31] | By his own admission, | 他自己承认 |
[38:32] | he knew of the possibility that people could be killed. | 他知道可能会有人死亡 |
[38:36] | Innocent people. | 无辜的人 |
[38:40] | And he sat on it. | 而他袖手旁观 |
[38:45] | He let the fathers and the husbands of those people… | 他让这些人的父亲和丈夫 |
[38:52] | …walk headfirstinto an ambush to their deaths. | 直冲死亡的埋伏圈 |
[38:56] | Because in his mind… | 因为在他心里 |
[39:00] | …he had the legal duty to ignore justice and morality. | 他有法律义务去忽略正义和道德 |
[39:03] | In his mind, | 在他心里 |
[39:05] | if he did anything to prevent those violent deaths… | 如果他尝试阻止这些暴力的杀戮 |
[39:10] | …he’d be lost. | 他就会迷失 |
[39:16] | I don’t think the defendant has any idea how truly lost he really is. | 在我看来 被告真的不知道自己有多迷失 |
[39:27] | How long? | 还要多久 |
[39:28] | She just asked us to wait. | 她只是让我们等着 |
[39:30] | She can’t make him stand trial for murder. She just can’t. | 她不能让他接受谋杀审判 她不能 |
[39:33] | With this public outcry? | 在公众的强烈反感之下? |
[39:40] | Come on, everybody. | 我们走吧 |
[39:44] | We’ll be right outside. | 我们在外面等 |
[39:58] | I’m not nearly ready | 我还远远没有准备好 |
[39:59] | to put this behind me. | 让这些事情成为过去 |
[40:03] | But I’m not ready to put you behind me either. | 但是我也没有准备让你成为过去 |
[40:14] | She’s coming back. Let’s go. | 她回来了 我们走 |
[40:20] | I called you back in because I’ve made up my mind. | 我叫你们回来是因为我已经做出了决定 |
[40:24] | But in the two minutes it took you to file back in, | 但在等你们回来的两分钟时间里 |
[40:26] | I changed it. | 我改变了主意 |
[40:28] | Whether or not you’re guilty here, Mr. Donnell… | 你是有罪还是无罪 Donnell先生 |
[40:32] | …really depends on exactly where you were in your head… | 完全取决于当你跟当事人交谈时 |
[40:37] | …when you talked to your client. | 你心里的想法 |
[40:39] | What you knew would happen… | 你对即将发生的事情的判断 |
[40:43] | …or what you thought might… | 或可能发生的情况的估计 |
[40:46] | …unfortunately, for me as a judge, | 我虽身为法官 但遗憾的是 |
[40:48] | that answer still lies within your head. | 你的想法在你自己的头脑里 |
[40:53] | And your head alone. | 只有你自己才知道 |
[40:56] | On the facts… | 关于… |
[40:59] | …dismissed with prejudice, the defendant is free to go. | 由于导致偏见不予受理 被告立即开释 |
[41:09] | I’ll say it for the last time. | 我最后再说一次 |
[41:11] | It won’t be the last time, it’s never the last time with you. | 不是最后一次 你永远都没有最后一次 |
[41:15] | All I’m saying is if we keep defending the druggies, | 我只想说 如果我们继续为毒贩辩护 |
[41:17] | this stuff’s gonna happen. | 这种事情总会发生 |
[41:18] | Well, let’s just get some new clients | 在我们甩掉老客户之前 |
[41:19] | before you dump the old ones, okay? | 先找到些新的客户 好吗 |
[41:22] | And your cancer case survived? | 你的癌症案过关了? |
[41:24] | It did. | 是的 |
[41:24] | With Judge Walsh? | Walsh法官? |
[41:26] | He likes me. | 他喜欢我 |
[41:27] | Where’s Bobby? | Bobby去哪儿了 |
[41:29] | I think he ran off to make up with Helen. | 我想他跑去跟Helen重修旧好去了 |
[41:33] | Are those two sleeping together? | 他们两个有一腿吗? |