| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:08] | Power lines? | 高压线? | 
| [00:11] | We said 5000 for discovery, | 我们批准的是5000块用于调查证据 | 
| [00:13] | and you’re up to 9300. | 结果你用了9300 | 
| [00:15] | We’re just about done. | 我们就快做完了 | 
| [00:17] | Last depo tomorrow morning,pretrial in the afternoon. | 明天早上最后一次证言笔录 下午预审 | 
| [00:20] | We’re basically ready to go. | 我们基本上已经准备好了 | 
| [00:21] | Who’s the expert on liability? | 关于责任方面 你找了谁作专家证人 | 
| [00:26] | You’re basically ready to go | 你说基本上准备好了 | 
| [00:28] | and you haven’t got any expert testimony to make your case? | 结果连最基本的专家证人都没有? | 
| [00:30] | I’m meeting a guy who did the major studies. | 有一个正在联系 他做过一个重要的研究项目 | 
| [00:32] | I think he could help. | 我想他可以帮得上忙 | 
| [00:34] | Jimmy, why are you doing this? | Jimmy 你为什么要这么做 | 
| [00:37] | I think it’s a decent case and… | 我觉得这个案子比较有把握 而且… | 
| [00:38] | There’s no case. | 这个案子根本就不成立 | 
| [00:40] | There’s people with cancer to feel sorry for. | 只有一些患了癌症的 值得同情的人 | 
| [00:43] | But there’s no case. | 但是他们的案子根本不成立 | 
| [00:51] | Hi. $ 10 on 16. Super. Thanks. | 嗨 10块钱16号 特级 谢谢 | 
| [01:49] | Oh, God. | 哦 上帝 | 
| [03:01] | You’d recognize him if you saw him again? | 如果你再看到他 你能认出来吗 | 
| [03:03] | Excuse me. Excuse me. | 借过 借过 | 
| [03:05] | -Excuse me. -But you said he was 20 to 25. | -借过 -但是你说他在20到25岁之间 | 
| [03:07] | Something like that, yeah. He was a young guy. | 差不多吧 对的 他是个年轻人 | 
| [03:10] | -Thank you. -Excuse me. | -谢谢 -借过 | 
| [03:12] | Bec, you okay? | Bec 你没事吧 | 
| [03:14] | Yeah, thanks for coming. | 没事 谢谢你赶过来 | 
| [03:15] | If she’s okay with it | 如果她没事的话 | 
| [03:17] | we’d appreciate her going through the book. | 我们想请她看一下名册 | 
| [03:20] | You okay with it, Bec? | 可以吗 Bec? | 
| [03:21] | I mean, looking at some mug shots? | 我是说 看一些案底照? | 
| [03:23] | Yeah. Sure I am. | 嗯 当然没问题 | 
| [03:30] | Is she okay? | 她没事吧 | 
| [03:31] | She’s still a little shook. | 她还有点惊魂未定 | 
| [03:33] | She was up all night looking at mug shots | 她一整晚都在看案底照 | 
| [03:34] | and couldn’t make out anybody. | 但是没有认出什么人来 | 
| [03:37] | What’s up in there? | 那边在做什么 | 
| [03:37] | Jimmy’s depo. Ellenor’s in with him. | Jimmy的证言笔录 Ellenor跟他一起 | 
| [03:42] | Did any doctor tell you the cancer came from exposure to power lines? | 有没有哪个医生告诉你癌症是由高压线引起的 | 
| [03:45] | No, sir. | 没有 先生 | 
| [03:45] | Did any trained medical professional say | 有没有哪个正规的医学专家说过 | 
| [03:49] | that electromagnetic fields could have been a factor? | 电磁场可能是致癌因素之一 | 
| [03:52] | -No, sir. -Now, in your interrogatories | -没有 先生 -在你的质询书里 | 
| [03:54] | you said it was a PTA meeting that, | 你说是在一次家长会上 | 
| [03:55] | quote, “gave you the idea.” | 你的原话是”你产生了这个念头” | 
| [03:58] | Yeah. Could you please describe that PTA meeting? | 那么 你能不能叙述一下这次家长会 | 
| [04:00] | I was talking to Leslie Dawson, | 我当时在跟Leslie Dawson聊天 | 
| [04:02] | and she told me she had melanoma. | 她跟我说她患了黑色素瘤 | 
| [04:04] | She was sharing her secret because | 她告诉我这个秘密是因为 | 
| [04:06] | well,she felt some relief in telling people. | 她觉得说出来之后 让她感到解脱 | 
| [04:10] | When she told me,I gave her my secret. | 她跟我说了之后 我也告诉她我的秘密 | 
| [04:13] | I had brain cancer. | 我患了脑瘤 | 
| [04:15] | Ok, and then how did you make the leap | 那么 你凭什么认为 | 
| [04:17] | that it was caused by power lines? | 这些是高压线引起的呢 | 
| [04:19] | Object to the form. You can answer. | 反对提问的形式 你可以回答 | 
| [04:21] | Well, I had read before that power lines, | 我以前读到过关于高压线的报道 | 
| [04:24] | it was thought they could be radioactive. | 据说它们有放射性 | 
| [04:28] | And a power-line field practically | 有一排高压线差不多 | 
| [04:31] | ran right through our neighborhood. | 正好从我们社区中穿过 | 
| [04:34] | So I thought, who knows? | 所以我想 谁知道呢 | 
| [04:38] | I decided | 我决定 | 
| [04:39] | hell, I’ll just walk around the neighborhood and ask people. | 管他的 我四处去问问社区的其他人 | 
| [04:41] | I started with my next-door neighbor Jerry. | 我就从隔壁邻居Jerry开始 | 
| [04:44] | Jerry answered the door and said,”Hey, Kevin, what’s up?” | Jerry开了门 他说 嗨 Kevin 什么事 | 
| [04:48] | I said, “I have brain cancer,what’s new with you?” | 我说 我患了脑瘤 你怎么样 | 
| [04:52] | He…had a tumor in his head that was inoperable. | 他…他也长了脑瘤 而且不能动手术 | 
| [04:56] | He didn’t wanna tell anybody. | 他不想告诉任何人 | 
| [04:58] | And when he did, he just broke down. | 当他终于说出来 他都崩溃了 | 
| [05:03] | -And then what happened? -I remember thinking: | -然后呢 -我记得我当时想 | 
| [05:05] | “Oh, my God. There’s cancer all through this neighborhood.” | 哦 上帝啊 这个社区全是癌症 | 
| [05:08] | All I wanted to do was rush home | 我只想冲回家去 | 
| [05:10] | and get my wife and kids tested. | 带我妻子和孩子们去检查 | 
| [05:12] | I didn’t care about his tumor.I didn’t have time. | 我不关心他的肿瘤 我没时间关心 | 
| [05:16] | All I could think of was my family. | 我只担心我的家人 | 
| [05:18] | We all went into the hospital that day, and…did all the tests. | 我们当天就去了医院 做了全面的检查 | 
| [05:23] | And the results of those tests were negative? | 检查结果是否定的? | 
| [05:26] | Oh, yeah, they were negative. | 哦 是啊 是否定的 | 
| [05:29] | My 7-year-old boy had leukemia. | 我七岁的儿子患了白血病 | 
| [05:43] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 | 
| [05:45] | Is there any reference to this in the pleadings? | 诉状中提到这一点了吗 | 
| [05:49] | No. | 没有 | 
| [05:51] | Could you tell me why not? | 为什么没有 | 
| [05:54] | Because when I sat down to tell him that… | 因为当我坐下来 告诉他… | 
| [05:58] | he was really sick,he knew he was dying. | 他病得很重 他知道自己要死了 | 
| [06:06] | He said,”Daddy, please don’t tell anybody.” | 他说 爸爸 请不要告诉别人 | 
| [06:25] | You… You caught him? | 你们…你们逮到他了? | 
| [06:26] | We think. You up to a lineup? | 应该是 你可以开始指证吗 | 
| [06:31] | You… Now? | 你…现在? | 
| [06:33] | Well, I suppose we could wait. | 呃 晚一点也没关系 | 
| [06:35] | Now is good. | 就现在吧 | 
| [06:37] | Sure? | 确定? | 
| [06:39] | Yeah. Let’s go. | 嗯 开始吧 | 
| [06:42] | Okay. | 好 | 
| [06:44] | Go all the way to the left,stand at the marks facing right. | 走到左边去 站在标记那里 面朝右边 | 
| [06:53] | Number one,turn and face forward, please. | 一号 转过来 朝前看 | 
| [07:01] | Number two, face forward. | 二号 朝前看 | 
| [07:14] | That’s him. | 就是他 | 
| [07:15] | Take your time. Are you sure? | 慢慢来 你确定? | 
| [07:17] | That’s him. Am I done? | 就是他 可以结束了吗 | 
| [07:19] | Done. | 可以了 | 
| [07:23] | I understand, Your Honor,but on some occasions | 我知道 法官阁下 但有些情况下 | 
| [07:26] | judges have taken judicial notice of scientific studies. | 法官曾经允许科学研究结果作为证据 | 
| [07:29] | Yes, but this wouldn’t be such an occasion. | 没错 但是本案不存在这样的情况 | 
| [07:31] | Unless he can cross-examine | 除非被告能够对该项研究结论的 | 
| [07:33] | the proponents of the study. | 支持者做交叉质询 | 
| [07:34] | They live in Sweden. | 他们在瑞典 | 
| [07:36] | We have no way of getting them here. | 我们没办法把他们叫到这里来 | 
| [07:37] | But that’s your problem, not his. | 那是你的问题 不是他的问题 | 
| [07:39] | I can’t let you put in scientific evidence | 在被告没有机会质证的情况下 | 
| [07:41] | without giving the defense opportunity to take their whacks. | 我不能允许你提出科学研究方面的证据 | 
| [07:44] | The Swedish study is excluded. | 瑞典的研究结论必须排除 | 
| [07:46] | What else we got? | 你还有其它的吗 | 
| [07:46] | The plaintiff’s witness list, your honor, | 法官阁下 原告方还没有 | 
| [07:49] | has not been completed pursuant to your order. | 按您的要求提交完整的证人清单 | 
| [07:51] | It’s completed except for maybe one witness. | 已经是完整的了 除了一个可能的证人 | 
| [07:53] | There’s possibly maybe one more we could add. | 我们也许还可以再找到一个 | 
| [07:55] | -Other than that, it’s… -Are you serious? | -除此之外 我们… -你说什么呢 | 
| [07:57] | The reason of witness lists are so | 提交证人清单的目的在于 | 
| [07:59] | the other side knows what’s coming. | 让对方有所准备 | 
| [08:00] | I understand, judge, but so far… | 我知道 法官阁下 但是目前为止… | 
| [08:03] | I’ll give you till 10 a.m. Tomorrow. | 我给你宽限到明天上午10点 | 
| [08:04] | After that the list is frozen,no additions. | 到时候 名单就固定了 你不能再增加 | 
| [08:06] | -Anything else? -Yes, Your Honor. | -还有其它问题吗 -还有 法官阁下 | 
| [08:08] | I’d like to suggest that we bifurcate the trial | 我建议把审理分成两个阶段 | 
| [08:10] | into two phases: Liability and damages. | 责任阶段和损害阶段 | 
| [08:12] | It think this would save us a couple of weeks, | 这样可以节省两三个星期 | 
| [08:14] | maybe even a month. | 甚至一个月的时间 | 
| [08:15] | I’m inclined to agree. | 我倾向于同意 | 
| [08:16] | Your Honor, we strenuously object to that. | 法官阁下 我们强烈反对 | 
| [08:17] | It would completely compromise our case. | 这样会严重损害我们的诉讼理由 | 
| [08:19] | I think what counsel fears is | 我想对方律师怕的是 | 
| [08:20] | that would make clear they have no case. | 这样就会暴露他们根本没有诉讼理由的事实 | 
| [08:22] | May I confer with my co-counsel for a second? | 我可以跟我的同事商量一下吗 | 
| [08:24] | Make it quick. | 快点 | 
| [08:30] | If the trial gets split, we’re dead. | 如果把审理分成两个阶段 我们就死定了 | 
| [08:32] | -The clients won’t get to testify. -Why? | -当事人没法出庭作证 -为什么 | 
| [08:33] | Because their stories go to damages,not to liability. | 因为他们的证词跟损害有关 跟责任无关 | 
| [08:36] | He doesn’t want the jury to hear | 他不想让陪审团听到 | 
| [08:37] | what we just heard in the deposition. | 我们在证言笔录中听到的内容 | 
| [08:38] | So he’s trying to cut them off. | 所以他要把他们排除在外 | 
| [08:40] | -I’m not following what you’re saying. -Jimmy, think. | -我没听懂你的意思 -Jimmy 你想想 | 
| [08:41] | If we lose on liability, then the case is over. | 如果我们在责任阶段输了 案子就结束了 | 
| [08:43] | We don’t even proceed to damages. | 我们根本没机会进入损害阶段 | 
| [08:45] | We don’t really have a case on liability. | 在责任方面 我们真的没有可靠的理由 | 
| [08:47] | Your Honor, we vigorously object to splitting the trial. | 法官阁下 我们强烈反对分拆审判 | 
| [08:52] | Of course they do, Your Honor. | 他们当然反对 法官阁下 | 
| [08:53] | Because they’re planning to use emotion | 因为他们想利用煽情 | 
| [08:55] | to make up for their lack of evidence. | 来弥补证据上的欠缺 | 
| [08:57] | -You don’t know what we’re doing. -Do you? | -你不知道我们打算怎么做 -你自己知道吗 | 
| [08:58] | I have to say, Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 我不得不说 | 
| [09:00] | I share Mr. West’s concern. | 我同意West先生的观点 | 
| [09:01] | If you’re planning to parade a lot of | 如果你们准备向陪审团展示一群 | 
| [09:03] | sad,sick cancer victims before a jury | 悲伤的 重病的癌症患者 | 
| [09:05] | without evidence of causasion, | 却提供不了证明因果关系的证据 | 
| [09:06] | I won’t let you. | 我不会让你得逞的 | 
| [09:07] | Moreover, judicial economy | 而且 在我看来 | 
| [09:08] | is something I take very seriously. | 司法经济原则也是非常重要的 | 
| [09:11] | I’m granting the defense counsel’s request. | 我同意被告律师的申请 | 
| [09:13] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 | 
| [09:14] | I move for an interlocutory appeal immediately. | 我立即提出中间上诉 【在初审法院对整个案件作出终局裁决之前发生的上诉】 | 
| [09:16] | You can go upstairs and you can do it this afternoon, | 你今天下午就可以上诉 | 
| [09:18] | that should be immediate enough. | 应该够快了吧 | 
| [09:19] | But you’re not buying any more time on witness lists. | 但是对于证人清单 我不会再给你宽限了 | 
| [09:21] | That’s frozen. Adjourned. | 清单已经固定 休庭 | 
| [09:29] | -Jimmy. -Get away from me. | -Jimmy -给我走开 | 
| [09:31] | -Jimmy -Ellenor,get out of my face for a minute. | -Jimmy -Ellenor 从我面前消失一会 | 
| [09:34] | I just need a second. | 让我安静几分钟 | 
| [09:36] | Which you’re not gonna get. | 你休想 | 
| [09:41] | All right, Jimmy,it is time to shut up and listen. | 行了 Jimmy 现在给我闭嘴 听好了 | 
| [09:43] | I don’t care if that hurts your feelings, | 我不管你爱不爱听 | 
| [09:46] | First, even trying to get the Swedish study | 首先 试图把瑞典的研究结果 | 
| [09:49] | admitted is stupid. | 作为证据就很愚蠢 | 
| [09:50] | Of course the judge can’t allow it | 如果被告不能质询 | 
| [09:51] | if the defense can’t cross-examine. | 法官当然不会允许 | 
| [09:53] | And even by asking, | 你光是提出这样的申请 | 
| [09:55] | you undermine your credibility. | 就足以损害你的诚信 | 
| [09:56] | Not to mention you make the case | 更不要说还会显得 | 
| [09:57] | seem that much more desperate. | 我们在这个案子上慌不择路 | 
| [09:59] | And second,where the hell were our clients? | 第二 我们的当事人他妈的在哪里 | 
| [10:02] | They didn’t need to be here,not for pretrial conference. | 他们没有必要过来 不必参加预审 | 
| [10:04] | Do you think it’d have been easy for the judge to slap us, | 你觉得有他们在庭上盯着 | 
| [10:06] | if he has to see their eyes staring back at him? | 法官在做决定的时候不会有压力吗 | 
| [10:09] | Judges are human too,and without our people in the room | 法官也是人 我们的当事人不在庭上 | 
| [10:12] | you made it a lot easier for him to be impersonal. | 法官要排除情感影响就容易得多 | 
| [10:16] | All right,this is what we are gonna do. | 好了 我们接下来这样做 | 
| [10:18] | You’re gonna track down that expert witness, | 你继续去找那个专家证人 | 
| [10:19] | and I’m gonna go find Lindsay. | 我去找Lindsay | 
| [10:20] | Lindsay? Why? | Lindsay? 为什么 | 
| [10:22] | Because if we’re gonna have any chance at appeals | 因为如果我们想在上诉的时候有机会扳回来 | 
| [10:24] | we need our representation to come from somebody | 我们需要一个 | 
| [10:25] | who’s got a good reputation. | 名声很好的律师 | 
| [10:27] | She’s got one, you don’t.Come on, let’s move. | 她是 你不是 走吧 快点 | 
| [10:29] | You’ll have time to feel sorry for yourself later. | 你以后有时间后悔 | 
| [10:34] | Yeah, yeah. We need the motion scheduled for a Friday. | 对 对 我们想把动议安排在星期五 | 
| [10:37] | Because I know the judge likes to go to the cape on Fridays. | 因为我知道这个法官喜欢在周五去科德角 【麻省旅游景点】 | 
| [10:39] | Yes, in the winter, | 是的 冬天 在每个星期五 | 
| [10:41] | and he grants everything ex parte on Fridays. Trust me. | 他会支持所有的单方诉讼 相信我 | 
| [10:45] | Schedule it for a Friday and we’re home free. Thank you. | 安排在星期五 一切就搞定了 谢谢 | 
| [10:48] | -Ms. Washington? -Yes. | -是Washington小姐吗? -我是 | 
| [10:50] | Miguel Moreno, nice to meet you. | 我是Miguel Moreno 幸会 | 
| [10:51] | I’m here about my brother Luis, | 我今天来是为我弟弟luis的事 | 
| [10:53] | he’s in some legal trouble. | 他遇到了法律上的麻烦 | 
| [10:56] | What kind of trouble? | 什么麻烦 | 
| [10:57] | You just picked him out of a lineup just a few hours ago. | 几个小时之前 你刚刚指证了他 | 
| [11:01] | Now the police think that he killed somebody. | 现在警方以为他杀了人 | 
| [11:04] | Well, he did kill somebody. | 他确实杀了人 | 
| [11:05] | Ms. Washington,I’m sure that you’re mistaken. | Washington小姐 我确定你搞错了 | 
| [11:08] | I’m sure I’m not. | 我确定我没有 | 
| [11:10] | Forgive me for interrupting your busy day. | 很抱歉 给你添麻烦了 | 
| [11:13] | But I would do anything to save my little brother. | 但是我会用一切办法来救我的小兄弟 | 
| [11:18] | Is that a threat? | 你是在威胁她吗 | 
| [11:22] | Miguel Moreno. And you would be? | Miguel Moreno 你是? | 
| [11:25] | Somebody who you don’t wanna be making threats to. | 一个不怕你威胁的人 | 
| [11:29] | Hey,I’m just asking Ms. Washington | 嘿 我只不过叫Washington小姐 | 
| [11:31] | to think hard about who she points her finger at. | 在指证的时候要考虑清楚 | 
| [11:36] | Because a wrong decision could be | 因为错误的决定可能会 | 
| [11:38] | tragedy. | 酿成悲剧 | 
| [11:43] | Get out of here. | 滚出去 | 
| [11:44] | You got any brothers? | 你有兄弟吗 | 
| [11:47] | I said, get out. | 我说了 滚 | 
| [11:58] | Let’s all be careful. | 大家小心为妙 | 
| [12:19] | It wasn’t a direct threat word-wise,but the spirit was there. | 他所说的话不是直接的威胁 但就是那个意思 | 
| [12:22] | Let’s run probation on him,see what we can find out. | 我们查查他的案底 看有什么发现 | 
| [12:25] | What were his exact words? | 他的原话怎么说的 | 
| [12:27] | He loves his brother. | 他爱他的弟弟 | 
| [12:28] | -And when’s the probable-cause hearing? -Tomorrow. | -正当诉由听证是什么时候 -明天 | 
| [12:31] | Where’s Lindsay? | Lindsay在哪 | 
| [12:32] | Bankruptcy court, all day. | 破产法庭 要呆一整天 | 
| [12:33] | Damn it. Can we page her? | 见鬼 可不可以呼她 | 
| [12:35] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了 | 
| [12:35] | Jimmy fell down at the pretrial. | Jimmy的预审搞砸了 | 
| [12:37] | The judge screw it by spliting the trial. | 法官分拆了审判 | 
| [12:39] | Now we have to try the case on liability alone first. | 第一阶段 法院只审理责任问题 | 
| [12:41] | We’re appealing in 45 minutes. | 我们45分钟后上诉 | 
| [12:42] | Where’s Jimmy now? | Jimmy在哪里 | 
| [12:43] | Tracking down a witness. | 去找证人去了 | 
| [12:44] | We decided we need a little evidence. | 我们认为还需要一点证据 | 
| [12:46] | Listen, can you page Lindsay? | 你能不能呼Lindsay? | 
| [12:48] | Tell her we need her at the courthouse now. | 告诉她我们需要她马上出庭 | 
| [12:51] | Hey, are you okay? | 嗨 你还好吗 | 
| [12:52] | I’m fine. | 我很好 | 
| [12:53] | Okay. | 哦 | 
| [12:57] | I’m fine. | 我没事 | 
| [13:26] | Mr. Helms? | Helms先生 | 
| [13:30] | James Berluti. | 我是James Berluti | 
| [13:31] | Could I, like, talk a second? | 能不能… 跟你谈谈 | 
| [13:35] | I thought I made it clear on the phone.I can’t help you. | 我在电话上已经说清楚了 我帮不了你 | 
| [13:38] | You made it clear you wouldn’t help me. | 你说的是 你不愿意帮我 | 
| [13:42] | Could we, like,maybe go for a beer or something? | 可不可以…一起出去喝杯啤酒什么的 | 
| [13:47] | I’m a drunk. | 我是个酒鬼 | 
| [13:49] | Yeah. | 对 | 
| [13:51] | So you can see, I wouldn’t make a very great expert witness, would I? | 你瞧 我不是个靠谱的专家证人 对吧 | 
| [13:55] | you’re all I got. | 你是我唯一可以找的人 | 
| [13:57] | You are the one who did the studies on those power lines in Fairfield. | 是你做了关于Fairfiled那些高压线的研究项目 | 
| [14:00] | The studies were dismissed, as was I. | 那些研究已经废止了 我也被炒掉了 | 
| [14:03] | They had to dismiss those studies. | 他们不得不废止那些研究 | 
| [14:05] | Otherwise, they’d have been looking at a thousand lawsuits | 否则 他们将面临上千起诉讼 | 
| [14:08] | and zillion dollars in damages. | 和天文数字的赔偿 | 
| [14:09] | -I wouldn’t ask, but… -Mr. Berluti. | -我不想勉强你 但是… -Berluti先生 | 
| [14:13] | I spent four months at McLean after a nervous breakdown. | 我精神崩溃之后 在Mclean医院呆了四个月 | 
| [14:18] | By 5:30 sharp, I am drinking. | 每天五点半 我准时开始喝酒 | 
| [14:22] | Now why the hell would you wanna rely on me? | 你究竟为什么把希望放在我身上 | 
| [14:26] | Because I’m desperate. | 因为我走投无路了 | 
| [14:28] | And I got 12 clients with cancer | 而且我有12个患癌症的当事人 | 
| [14:30] | more desperate than me. | 比我还要走投无路 | 
| [14:31] | And you actually think that I can change that? | 你真的以为我有能力帮你们吗 | 
| [14:34] | What’s to lose? | 至少没什么可损失的 | 
| [14:35] | What’s to lose? | 没什么可损失的 | 
| [14:36] | I’ll tell you. | 我告诉你 | 
| [14:38] | Even though I’m still drinking,I’m functional again. | 尽管我是个酒鬼 我还没废掉 | 
| [14:41] | I got a day job.I put on clean underwear every day. | 我有一份工作 每天能换上干净内衣 | 
| [14:45] | I even got a lady | 甚至还有个姑娘 | 
| [14:46] | who’s either crazy about me or just crazy. | 她疯狂地喜欢我 或者就是真的疯狂了 | 
| [14:50] | I go up on that stand,we both know the score. | 如果我出庭作证的话 你我都知道代价 | 
| [14:53] | They’re gonna tear me down. | 他们会对我狂轰滥炸 | 
| [14:54] | They’re not gonna spare any expense. | 他们会不计代价 | 
| [14:56] | They’re gonna rip me apart. | 他们会把我撕成碎片 | 
| [14:58] | And it’s gonna be in the papers for everybody to see. | 而且还会见报 弄得人尽皆知 | 
| [15:01] | My lady will read it, | 我的姑娘也会看到 | 
| [15:02] | my ex will read it as she fights visitation. | 我的前妻也会看到 我们正在争夺探视权 | 
| [15:05] | My kid will read it. | 我的孩子也会看到 | 
| [15:08] | Now, I got a pretty good status quo going here. | 目前 我的现状还算不错 | 
| [15:10] | That is what I got to lose. | 那是我将会损失的东西 | 
| [15:14] | Now | 那么 | 
| [15:16] | tell me my throwing that away | 你告诉我 为什么我损失 | 
| [15:17] | is gonna count for something in the end. | 这些东西最后还会觉得值? | 
| [15:24] | We could send some officers to warn the guy. | 我们可以派几个警官 警告一下那个家伙 | 
| [15:27] | But he hasn’t said anything | 但根据他说的那些话 | 
| [15:28] | we could actually arrest him for. | 我们还没有理由逮捕他 | 
| [15:29] | You see his rap sheet, Helen? | 你查了他的犯罪记录没有 Helen | 
| [15:31] | Look, I’d love to take this dirt bag off the street. | 我也想把这个垃圾抓起来 | 
| [15:33] | We lost him two years ago on a homicide | 两年前 因为涉及逼供 | 
| [15:35] | because the confession was coerced. | 我们被他逃脱了一桩谋杀案 | 
| [15:37] | I mean, we knew he shot a policeman. | 我们知道他枪杀了一名警察 | 
| [15:39] | We just couldn’t prove it, even though… | 我们只是证明不了 尽管… | 
| [15:41] | Exactly, the guy’s a killer. | 对极了 这家伙是个杀人犯 | 
| [15:42] | Now he has made a deadly threat. | 现在他又威胁了Rebecca | 
| [15:44] | I don’t care how well he’s disguised it. | 不管他伪装得多么巧妙 | 
| [15:45] | We gotta be albe to do something to protect her. | 我们应该能够采取措施来保护她 | 
| [15:47] | If she wants a police escort,I could arrange it for a few days. | 如果她需要警察保护 我可以安排几天 | 
| [15:51] | -But beyond that… -Okay. | -但是除此之外… -好的 | 
| [15:53] | What if Rebecca doesn’t testify at the PC hearing? | 如果Rebecca不在正当诉由听证上作证会怎样 | 
| [15:55] | Not good.They haven’t found the weapon yet. | 不好 他们还没找到凶器 | 
| [15:58] | He didn’t test positive for residue. | 他手上也没测出火药残留 | 
| [16:00] | Because he had gloves. | 因为他戴着手套 | 
| [16:01] | Which also haven’t been found. | 手套同样也没找到 | 
| [16:03] | The whole case right now is Rebecca. | 案子的关键全靠Rebecca | 
| [16:06] | If she doesn’t testify, from what I hear, | 如果她不作证 据我所知 | 
| [16:08] | we may not make probable cause. | 我们过不了正当诉由 | 
| [16:15] | Where is she? They’re coming in. | 她在哪 他们已经进来了 | 
| [16:16] | The elevator.Yeah, right. | 电梯里面 是 对 | 
| [16:17] | Judicial economy was the main argument. | 司法经济原则是主要的争议点 | 
| [16:19] | There was no transcript. | 没有副本 | 
| [16:20] | It was all about time, saving time. | 关键就在于时间 节约时间 | 
| [16:23] | All rise. | 全体起立 | 
| [16:25] | Yes, and don’t forget, there wasn’t any notice. | 对 别忘了 没有事前通知 | 
| [16:27] | He just sprang it. | 他突然提出来的 | 
| [16:28] | Yeah. All right. | 嗯 好的 | 
| [16:30] | Maybe you should do it. | 也许应该由你来 | 
| [16:32] | Unfortunately my reputation isn’t too much better than yours | 不幸的是 对其中两位法官来说 | 
| [16:34] | with two of these judges. | 我的名声不见得比你好 | 
| [16:36] | We’re better off with Lindsay. I’ll just fill in the gaps. | 我们最好等Lindsay来 我做些补充 | 
| [16:39] | Okay.The issue, hot off the press it seems | 看起来 焦点问题在于 | 
| [16:42] | is the splitting of the trial. | 对审判的分割 | 
| [16:44] | Your Honor, we feel,as indeed did Judge Walsh | 法官阁下 我们认为 正如Walsh法官所说 | 
| [16:47] | that an enormous amount of time would be spent on damages | 由于原告数量众多 | 
| [16:51] | considering there are multiple plaintiffs. | 我们将在损害问题上耗费大量的时间 | 
| [16:53] | So why not answer the liability question first? | 所以 为什么不先审查责任问题呢 | 
| [16:56] | That’s a nice premise, but it’s all based on | 想法很好 不过这是建立在 | 
| [16:57] | the assumptions that we lose on liability. | 我们会输掉责任问题的假设之上 | 
| [16:59] | If we win, you’ll end up spending more time. | 如果我们赢了 结果反而会花费更多时间 | 
| [17:02] | You’d be asking the jury to go back and deliberate twice. | 你得把陪审团找回来 让他们再做一次裁决 | 
| [17:05] | You’d also probably be duplicating some of the testimony. | 你可能还需要重新取一次证言 | 
| [17:07] | That goes against judicial economy. | 这不符合司法经济原则 | 
| [17:09] | If and only if you prevail on liability, | 当且仅当你能赢得责任问题的前提下 | 
| [17:11] | which, given the evidence… | 考虑到本案的证据… | 
| [17:13] | The reason they want the trial split is simple. | 他们想把审判分拆的原因很简单 | 
| [17:15] | We had a deposition this morning. | 我们今天上午做了一次证言笔录 | 
| [17:17] | One of our plaintiffs talked about his son having leukemia. | 有一位原告谈到他的儿子患上了白血病 | 
| [17:20] | It was emotional. It was powerful. | 他说得很动情 很有感染力 | 
| [17:23] | And when it was over, Mr. West said to himself: | 结束之后 West对自己说 | 
| [17:26] | “We cannot let that witness ever take the stand. | 我们决不能让那个证人出庭作证 | 
| [17:28] | We cannot let a jury hear what we just heard.” | 我们不能让陪审团听到他刚刚所说的内容 | 
| [17:31] | So how does he accomplish that? | 那么他准备怎么办 | 
| [17:33] | By splitting the trial in two. | 把审判分成两个阶段 | 
| [17:35] | And I must say that it seems to make sense. | 我必须指出 这看起来是有合理性的 | 
| [17:37] | Liability should be decided on fact, | 责任问题应当取决于案件事实 | 
| [17:39] | counsel, not emotion. | 律师 而不是情感 | 
| [17:40] | And we trust a jury to distinguish between the two. | 我们相信陪审团有能力区分这两者 | 
| [17:43] | The whole essence of a jury trial, your honor… | 法官阁下 陪审团审判的核心精神… | 
| [17:45] | Oh, dear, now here comes her constitutional repertoire, you see? | 哦 又来了 她最擅长的宪法 是吧 | 
| [17:48] | Did you bring your flag today? | 你今天带了国旗没有 | 
| [17:50] | Since you raise it, what about notice? | 既然你提出来 你事前通知没有 | 
| [17:52] | He didn’t file any motion to split this trial. | 他没有提出要求分拆审判的正式动议 | 
| [17:54] | He suddenly raised it as a suggestion, | 他突然以建议的方式提出来 | 
| [17:56] | and the court granted it. | 法庭就准许了 | 
| [17:58] | If we’re really interested in saving time,please. | 如果我们真的想节省时间 拜托 | 
| [18:00] | That ruling almost guarantees us an appeal. | 那样的裁决几乎保证了我们可以上诉 | 
| [18:03] | Now it’s you assuming your own defeat. | 现在是你自己在假定你们会输 | 
| [18:06] | Win or lose, my clients should get their day in court. | 不管赢还是输 我的当事人应该有上庭的权利 | 
| [18:09] | And this trial-splitting is designed to prevent that. | 而分拆审判的目的就是为了阻止他们上庭 | 
| [18:11] | They’re trying to keep our clients out of the witness chair. | 他们试图阻止我们的当事人出庭作证 | 
| [18:14] | But your clients will get to testify | 但是只要你们证明了因果关系 | 
| [18:16] | if you can satisfy causation, counsel. | 你的当事人就有机会作证 律师 | 
| [18:18] | The science part of this case is gonna be dry | 本案的科学证据部分会很枯燥 | 
| [18:21] | and God-awful boring. | 极其无聊 | 
| [18:23] | By splitting the trial into two sections | 把审判分成两个部分 | 
| [18:26] | you giving the jury the option of getting out early. | 其实是给了陪审团早日解脱的选择权 | 
| [18:28] | All they’ll have to do is just say no on liability | 他们只要否决责任问题 | 
| [18:32] | and they get to go home. | 然后就可以回家了 | 
| [18:34] | My clients will not get a fair trial | 把审判分拆 我的当事人 | 
| [18:36] | by splitting this trial. | 将不能得到公正的审理 | 
| [18:38] | -Your clients have no case. -All right. | -你的当事人没有诉讼理由 -好了 | 
| [18:42] | We’ve heard the arguments. | 我们已经听了双方的观点 | 
| [18:44] | We’ll let you know end of business. | 我们做出裁决之后通知你们 | 
| [18:55] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [18:55] | I don’t know, Jimmy. | 我也没把握 Jimmy | 
| [18:57] | -You were amazing. -You were. | -你太棒了 -是的 | 
| [19:00] | So how’d it go with the witness? | 证人那边怎么样 | 
| [19:01] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [19:03] | Maybe I should get you to talk to him. | 也许该让你去跟他谈谈 | 
| [19:05] | Just try to get an offer, Jimmy. Anything. | Jimmy 只要对方愿意和解 赔多少都接受 | 
| [19:11] | What I’m about to say is inconsistent | 我要跟你说的这番话 | 
| [19:13] | with everything I’ve ever stood for. | 违背我一直以来的原则 | 
| [19:18] | I don’t think you should ID the guy | 我建议你不要在正当诉由听证上 | 
| [19:21] | at the probable-cause hearing. | 指证那个家伙 | 
| [19:23] | Are you serious? | 你说真的吗 | 
| [19:24] | Bec, I don’t think the police can protect you against this guy. | Bec 我觉得警察保护不了你 | 
| [19:27] | He’s got two aggravated assaults. | 他有两次加重的人身伤害前科 | 
| [19:28] | They know he committed one murder. The case got tossed. | 他们知道他犯过谋杀 但是定不了他的罪 | 
| [19:31] | They suspect him on two others | 他们还怀疑他是另外两桩谋杀案的凶手 | 
| [19:33] | they can’t prove. He’s a psycho. | 只是没有证据 这人是个变态狂 | 
| [19:35] | He might very well carry through on his threat. | 他很可能把他的威胁付诸行动 | 
| [19:37] | What are you suggesting? I let this guy win? | 你是什么意思 我让这家伙逍遥法外? | 
| [19:39] | I know it sends a terrible message | 我知道这样做不对 | 
| [19:42] | and there’s 10 reasons for you not to let him win. | 而且你有一大堆理由让他绳之以法 | 
| [19:45] | But, Bec | 可是 Bec | 
| [19:47] | l’m sitting here,looking you in the eye… | 我现在坐在这里 正视你的眼睛 | 
| [19:49] | and I’m telling you | 我郑重地告诉你 | 
| [19:53] | your life could be at stake. | 你可能会有生命危险 | 
| [20:03] | Listen. I’m… | Jimmy 我… | 
| [20:07] | I’m sorry I sort of lost it with you. | 我很抱歉 我不该指责你 | 
| [20:10] | You didn’t lose it. I lost it. | 不 你说得对 是我的错 | 
| [20:14] | I know what I am. | 我有自知之明 | 
| [20:16] | I’m 37 years old,I got 700 bucks to my name. | 我已经37岁了 我名下只有700块 | 
| [20:21] | I was hired here as a charity project. | 我能在这里工作是因为别人的同情心 | 
| [20:23] | And this case is a big bone for me to chew on. | 这个案子是个硬骨头 我啃不动 | 
| [20:27] | I’m a failure. I got it. | 我是个失败的人 我知道 | 
| [20:30] | Jimmy, you’re staying up half the night fighting for sick people | Jimmy 你每天工作到半夜 | 
| [20:34] | who’ve got nobody else to fight for them. | 为那些走投无路的病人而战 | 
| [20:36] | You’re spending some of your own money too. | 你还把自己的钱都花进去了 | 
| [20:38] | You think you’re fooling any of us? | 你以为我们都没看到吗 | 
| [20:49] | I’ve known bigger failures. | 我见过真正的失败者 | 
| [21:09] | You’re here early. | 你来得真早 | 
| [21:11] | Yeah. A lot to do. | 嗯 事情很多 | 
| [21:13] | Yeah. | 哦 | 
| [21:17] | Rebecca, I know Bobby spoke to you. | Rebecca 我知道Bobby跟你谈过 | 
| [21:19] | And I know better than to try to convince you of anything. | 我不指望能说服你 | 
| [21:22] | I don’t even know what you’re planning to do. | 我都不知道你打算怎么办 | 
| [21:24] | But for my money | 但是直觉告诉我 | 
| [21:26] | you gotta give this probable-cause hearing serious thought. | 你必须慎重考虑这个正当诉由听证 | 
| [21:28] | Eugene, the guy committed murder, | Eugene 这家伙犯了谋杀罪 | 
| [21:30] | and I’m the only witness. | 我是唯一的证人 | 
| [21:31] | I know this. | 我知道 | 
| [21:32] | You want me to pretend I didn’t see anything? | 你想让我假装什么都没看到? | 
| [21:34] | Big picture, no.Looking only at you? | 要讲大道理的话 当然不是 但是具体到你 | 
| [21:43] | -Good morning. -Morning. | -早上好 -早上好 | 
| [21:45] | Hey, Jimmy. | 嘿 Jimmy | 
| [21:49] | Jimmy, this came for you from | Jimmy 这是昨天晚上 | 
| [21:51] | the clerk’s office at appeals last night. | 从上诉法院书记员办公室送来的 | 
| [21:53] | What? | 什么 | 
| [21:56] | I didn’t open it. It was late. | 我没打开 当时已经很晚了 | 
| [21:59] | Do you want me to open it? | 你想让我帮你打开吗 | 
| [22:11] | The power lines. | 高压线 | 
| [22:13] | It may just be a notice of appearance, | 可能只是出庭通知 | 
| [22:14] | Jimmy it’s not necessarily their ruling. | Jimmy 不一定是他们的裁决 | 
| [22:17] | It’s the ruling. | 是裁决 | 
| [22:19] | Whether we have to split the trial or not,the answer’s right here. | 是不是分拆审理 答案就在这里 | 
| [22:24] | Well, maybe you should open it. | 那你该把它打开 | 
| [22:29] | Here. | 给 | 
| [22:54] | “The decision of the trial court is hereby reversed. | 撤销初审法院的决定 | 
| [22:57] | Liability and damage phases shall be consolidated.” No split. | 责任阶段和损害阶段应当合并审理 不分拆 | 
| [23:04] | -Morning. -Morning. | -早上好 -早上好 | 
| [23:11] | Basically, we’ll run through the event. | 大体上 我们陈述一下事件经过 | 
| [23:12] | I’ll ask you about the lineup. | 我会问你关于指证的问题 | 
| [23:14] | And I’ll ask you to ID him in the room. | 我会要求你在法庭上指证他 | 
| [23:15] | Got it. | 知道了 | 
| [23:17] | -You ready? -Ready. | -你准备好了吗 -准备好了 | 
| [23:19] | Listen, I know you’ve been threatened. | 我知道你被人威胁 | 
| [23:20] | Thank you for doing this. | 谢谢你 | 
| [23:22] | Thanks? Is that all she get? | 谢谢? 你们就只是谢谢她? | 
| [23:23] | We could put a squad car in front of her house. | 我们可以在她家门口安排一辆巡逻车 | 
| [23:25] | You know,these things usually end up being empty threats. | 你知道 这些威胁通常只是虚张声势而已 | 
| [23:28] | They’re usually made by people who never follow through. | 大多数人的确没有付诸行动 | 
| [23:31] | Not dealing with such a person here. | 但是这个人不一样 | 
| [23:32] | What do you want me to say? Bobby? | 你要我说什么呢 Bobby | 
| [23:34] | It’s what you’re not saying that’s talking the loudest. | 你没有说出来的话才最能说明问题 | 
| [23:40] | We’ll be ready to start in about 20 minutes. | 大概20分钟之后开始 | 
| [23:45] | Rebecca Rebecca. | |
| [23:47] | In organized crime,there’s a certain code. | 在有组织犯罪中 还有一定的规矩 | 
| [23:50] | With gangs, there is no code. | 而这些帮派分子 他们没有任何规矩 | 
| [23:51] | They just kill to kill. | 他们就是为杀人而杀人 | 
| [23:53] | Don’t even think about it.And this guy, his brother? | 你想都别想 他的这个兄弟 | 
| [23:55] | He is a psycho. | 他是个变态狂 | 
| [24:08] | Who are we kidding? | 开什么玩笑 | 
| [24:10] | No. I think she heard it that time. | 不 我觉得她听进去了 | 
| [24:17] | Good morning. My name is Joel Helms. | 早上好 我叫Joel Helms | 
| [24:19] | And I’d like to talk to you about some exciting news | 我有好消息要告诉你 | 
| [24:22] | with respect to long-distance telephone service. | 是关于长途电话的 | 
| [24:24] | Gee, now’s a bad time. | 咦 你打得真不是时候 | 
| [24:25] | Can you give me your home number | 可以把你家的电话号码告诉我吗 | 
| [24:27] | and I’ll be sure to call you back? | 我一定给你打回去 | 
| [24:34] | Go away. | 走开 | 
| [24:37] | Yesterday,you asked me to look at you. | 昨天 你叫我好好看看你 | 
| [24:40] | I did.And I thought about you last night. | 我看了 昨天晚上我也认真想了 | 
| [24:43] | You reminded me a little of me,esteem-wise. | 我在你身上看到自己的影子 尊严方面 | 
| [24:47] | The difference is, I haven’t given up.You have. | 不同的是 我没有放弃 你放弃了 | 
| [24:50] | Lean in a little closer. | 靠过来一点 | 
| [24:55] | I got all the Tony Robbins tapes. | 我有全套的Tony Robbins演讲集 【美国励志专家】 | 
| [24:57] | If he couldn’t do it,I don’t like your odds. | 他都救不了我 我想你也别白费劲了 | 
| [25:00] | You did all those studies. | 你做了所有那些研究 | 
| [25:01] | I’m offering you a chance to make good on them. | 我是在给你个机会好好利用那些研究 | 
| [25:03] | Jingle, jingle, and I suppose you get your wings after. | 继续 继续 你快把自己说成天使了 | 
| [25:10] | Next time you visit your kid, Mr. Helms, | Helms先生 下次你见到自己的孩子 | 
| [25:13] | you can tell him: | 你可以告诉他们 | 
| [25:15] | “I’m trying to stop the government from killing people.” | 我在努力阻止政府杀人 | 
| [25:18] | Or you could tell him: | 或者你可以告诉他们 | 
| [25:20] | “I got somebody to change their long-distance company today.” | 我今天说服了一个人更换长途电话公司 | 
| [25:25] | Your choice. | 你自己选吧 | 
| [25:34] | After the shots, you did what? | 听到枪声后 你做了什么 | 
| [25:38] | I saw the man shooting the gun. | 我看到有人在开枪 | 
| [25:40] | I ran behind my car for cover. | 我跑过去躲在我的车后面 | 
| [25:42] | Now the man doing the shooting… | 那么 开枪的人 | 
| [25:43] | he was the same man you saw inside the store? | 跟你在店里看到的那个 是同一个人吗 | 
| [25:47] | -Yes. -Did you have opportunity | -是的 -你后来是否 | 
| [25:49] | to see this man again? | 还见到过这个人 | 
| [25:50] | Yes, at the police station. | 见过 在警察局 | 
| [25:52] | -In a lineup? -Yes. | -在指证的时候? -是的 | 
| [25:55] | Did the man that you identified in this lineup | 你在警察局指证的这个人 | 
| [25:58] | was he the same man that you saw inside the store? | 跟你在店里看到的那个 是同一个人吗 | 
| [26:02] | -Yes. -The same man who shot the attendant? | -是的 -也就是枪杀店员的那个人? | 
| [26:07] | Yes. | 是 | 
| [26:07] | Ms. Washington, | Washington小姐 | 
| [26:10] | do you see that man in this room today? | 你今天在法庭上看到这个人了吗 | 
| [26:25] | Yes. | 看到了 | 
| [26:26] | Ms. Washington, could you please point at the man | Washington小姐 如果你看到他在庭上 | 
| [26:30] | if you see him in this room? | 能否请你指出那个人 | 
| [26:38] | Him. | 是他 | 
| [26:40] | You’re sure? | 你确定? | 
| [26:43] | I’m sure. | 我确定 | 
| [26:44] | Is there any possibility in your mind | 你觉得有没有可能 | 
| [26:46] | that the defendant sitting here today | 今天坐在这里的被告 | 
| [26:49] | is not the man who shot and killed the attendant? | 不是开枪杀死店员的人 | 
| [26:52] | No. | 没有 | 
| [26:54] | That’s the guy that did it. | 就是他干的 | 
| [26:56] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 | 
| [26:59] | Counsel? | 辩方律师? | 
| [27:00] | Nothing, judge. | 我没有问题 法官阁下 | 
| [27:02] | Ms. Ward? | Ward小姐? | 
| [27:03] | That’s it, Your Honor. | 没有证据了 法官阁下 | 
| [27:05] | I’m finding probable cause. | 本庭裁定正当诉由成立 | 
| [27:07] | Defendant is bound over. Next case. | 被告具结候审 下一个 | 
| [27:17] | Excuse me. | 不好意思 | 
| [27:20] | You’re one of them honorable women,I guess, huh? | 我猜你是个高贵的女人 是吧 | 
| [27:23] | You’re standing in our way. | 你挡住我们的路了 | 
| [27:24] | Like that Brutus from Shakespeare. | 就像莎士比亚写的布鲁图 【古罗马人 刺杀凯撒 最后自杀】 | 
| [27:27] | “Brutus was an honorable man.” | “布鲁图是个高贵的人” | 
| [27:28] | I’m not gonna ask you to move again. | 最后说一次 请你让开 | 
| [27:30] | What happened to Brutus, huh? | 布鲁图最后是什么下场 嗯? | 
| [27:34] | Hey, hey, come on. Eugene, come on. | 嘿 嘿 算了 Eugene 算了 | 
| [27:37] | Break it up. Come on, come on. | 把他拉开 算了 算了 | 
| [27:39] | Come on. Come on, Eugene. | 算了 算了 Eugene | 
| [27:44] | I know where you live too. | 我也知道你住哪里 | 
| [27:44] | Yeah, go there first, you hear? | 好啊 有种你来 听见没 | 
| [27:46] | Come on. | 算了 | 
| [27:48] | Take him to my office, please. | 带他去我办公室 谢谢 | 
| [27:49] | You can’t take me into custody,that’s custodial. | 你不能抓我 你如果要羁押我 | 
| [27:52] | I know the law, lady. | 我懂法律 姑娘 | 
| [27:54] | You have to make an arrest. | 你必须有正式逮捕手续 | 
| [27:55] | You cannot just take me away. | 不能就这样把我抓走 | 
| [27:58] | Arrest him, cuff him, read him his rights, | 逮捕他 把他拷上 给他宣读权利 | 
| [28:02] | then take him to my office. | 然后带他去我办公室 | 
| [28:04] | You have the right to remain silent. | 你有权保持沉默 | 
| [28:06] | Anything you say can and will be used | 你所说的一切将在法庭上 | 
| [28:08] | against you in a court of law. | 作为对你不利的呈堂证供 | 
| [28:11] | Did he say yes? | 他答应了? | 
| [28:12] | No, but I’m wearing him down. | 没有 但是我已经有点说动他了 | 
| [28:14] | I put him on the witness list | 我先把他加到证人清单 | 
| [28:15] | just in case. | 这样他才有作证的机会 | 
| [28:16] | I see. And who is this Tufts professor? | 明白了 这位塔夫茨大学的教授是谁 | 
| [28:19] | Oh, some epidemiologist | 哦 他是个流行病学家 | 
| [28:20] | who kind of supported Helms’ study. | 他赞同Helms的研究结果 | 
| [28:22] | And he’ll testify? | 他愿意出庭作证? | 
| [28:23] | Says he won’t, but I’ll work on him too. | 他说不肯 但是我还要去找他 | 
| [28:25] | Jimmy, you can’t put these guys on the witness list | Jimmy 如果他们不肯出庭作证 | 
| [28:26] | if they’re not gonna testify. | 你就不能把他们放到证人清单里面 | 
| [28:28] | I don’t know for sure that they won’t. | 我不确定他们一定不肯 | 
| [28:29] | But if I don’t put them on the list, | 但是如果我不把他们列进清单 | 
| [28:30] | I can’t use them. | 他们就没有资格作证 | 
| [28:31] | What did West want? | West在打什么主意? | 
| [28:33] | I don’t know. He said he wanted to talk. | 我不知道 他说想谈谈 | 
| [28:34] | Maybe he’s gonna offer us something. | 也许他准备提出和解条件 | 
| [28:36] | Hey, looking up can help that. | 嘿 你丫没长眼睛吗 | 
| [28:38] | Oh, Your Honor. Hello. | 哦 法官阁下 你好 | 
| [28:40] | My fault. | 是我的错 | 
| [28:41] | I’m told you prevailed at Appeals. | 听说你们的上诉赢了 | 
| [28:44] | Yeah, and I just filed our witness list.We’re all set. | 对 我刚刚提交了证人清单 我们准备好了 | 
| [28:48] | Don’t be trying to make liability with tears, Mr. Berluti. | 别指望用眼泪打赢责任问题 Berluti先生 | 
| [28:51] | That’s a friendly warning. | 这是善意的忠告 | 
| [28:52] | Yeah, you’ve been so friendly my cockles are overheating. | 嗯 你一直这么善意 我的心都快溶化了 | 
| [28:56] | -Jimmy. -Ready for trial, judge. | -Jimmy -可以开始庭审 法官阁下 | 
| [29:03] | Your threats are on record, Miguel. | 你的威胁已经记录在案 Miguel | 
| [29:05] | I may not have enough to hold you | 也许我现在是关押不了你 | 
| [29:08] | but if Rebecca Washington so much as catches a cold | 但是哪怕Rebecca Washington染上感冒 | 
| [29:11] | l’ll send the boys. | 我都会派人找上门去 | 
| [29:14] | Look at me now or you go to lockup. | 看着我 不然马上让你进看守所 | 
| [29:17] | -For what? -For fun, mine. | -凭什么? -凭我乐意 | 
| [29:19] | You don’t go near her, you don’t talk to her. | 你不准靠近她 不准跟她说话 | 
| [29:21] | Even breathe in her direction, | 哪怕对着她吹口气 | 
| [29:23] | and I’ll book you on assault. | 我都会以人身伤害拘捕你 | 
| [29:25] | And if you think I’m kidding, | 如果你以为我在说笑 | 
| [29:26] | you’re every bit as stupid as you look. | 那就真的难怪你长成那个蠢样子 | 
| [29:30] | You want my home address now? | 你想要我的家庭住址吗 | 
| [29:34] | Uncuff him. Get him out of here. | 把手铐解开 放了他 | 
| [29:44] | She wasn’t cross-examined up there, was she? | 她还没有接受交叉质询 对吧 | 
| [29:57] | So, what does that mean? “She wasn’t cross-examined.” | 什么意思 “她还没有接受交叉质询” | 
| [30:03] | It means if anything should happen to you | 意思是说 如果在审判开始前 | 
| [30:05] | between now and the trial | 你发生什么意外 | 
| [30:07] | the DA wouldn’t be able to use today’s testimony | 检方就不能用你今天的证词 | 
| [30:09] | as evidence against Moreno. | 来指控Moreno | 
| [30:13] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么呢 | 
| [30:15] | Prior testimony isn’t admissible | 除非经过交叉质询 | 
| [30:17] | unless it was subject to cross-examination. | 以前的证词不能作为证据使用 | 
| [30:19] | You’d have to testify at the trial | 你必须在庭审的时候作证 | 
| [30:21] | to put Luis Moreno away. | 才有可能给Luis Moreno定罪 | 
| [30:23] | If you weren’t available to testify | 如果你不能出庭作证 | 
| [30:27] | it’s not like we could substitute today’s testimony. | 我们不能以你今天的证词来代替 | 
| [30:31] | Because I wasn’t cross-examined. | 因为我没有接受交叉质询 | 
| [30:34] | Basically. | 是这样的 | 
| [30:38] | Is that why I wasn’t cross-examined? | 他们是故意不对我交叉质询的吗 | 
| [30:40] | So if I show up dead,my testimony doesn’t count? | 这样的话 如果我死了 我的证词就不能用? | 
| [30:46] | I can’t prove that. | 我说不准 | 
| [30:48] | But usually, defense attorneys cross-examine forever | 但一般来说 辩护律师在正当诉由听证上 | 
| [30:51] | at probable-cause hearings,it’s free discovery. | 总是会做交叉质询 以尽可能了解控方证据 | 
| [30:56] | Rebecca, I’m going to assign a unit to stay with you, okay? | Rebecca 我要派一个小队保护你 好吗 | 
| [31:00] | They’ll park outside your house, your office, | 他们的车会停在你家和办公室外面 | 
| [31:03] | and take you back and forth. | 护送你上下班 | 
| [31:22] | All right, here we are. On the doorstep. | 要开始审理了 终于走到这一步 | 
| [31:25] | You have 11 named plaintiffs, including children. | 你们有11个原告 包括儿童在内 | 
| [31:28] | So, let’s assume the court allows you to add the other two. | 我们假设法庭允许你把另外那两个加进去 | 
| [31:30] | That brings the number to 13. We’ve run the numbers. | 这样就是13个 我们算了下数字 | 
| [31:33] | Time, expert testimony, costs. | 工作时间 专家证人 费用 | 
| [31:36] | We put a figure of $496,000 on the trial. | 我们算出来的数字是49.6万 | 
| [31:40] | Boston Power obviously isn’t gonna be thrilled with that. | 波士顿电力公司显然不会同意 | 
| [31:42] | Shave off a hundred, I think I can make them bite. | 少十万 我估计他们可以接受 | 
| [31:45] | That’s 396. That’s $30,000 per plaintiff. | 也就是39.6万 每个原告三万块 | 
| [31:51] | No admission of any liability. | 不承认任何责任 | 
| [31:53] | And the settlement is to stay sealed. | 和解协议予以保密 | 
| [31:55] | With the exception that you put out a release to the effect that, well | 除非你书面同意… | 
| [31:57] | we thought it would be best to settle | 我们认为和解是最佳方案 | 
| [31:59] | since we couldn’t prove causation. | 因为你们证明不了因果关系 | 
| [32:02] | So in other words, you’ll give us the money | 也就是说 如果我们承认自己输了 | 
| [32:04] | if we acknowledge we had no case. | 你们就愿意赔钱 | 
| [32:05] | That’s it. | 是这样 | 
| [32:07] | Thirty’s low for cancer, | 三万对癌症来说太低了 | 
| [32:09] | especially since two of the plaintiffs are terminal. | 尤其是有两位原告已经是晚期 | 
| [32:11] | Low, but realistic under the circumstances. | 是不高 但在目前的情况下很现实 | 
| [32:14] | I don’t disagree.But for cancer and silence? | 这我同意 但是对于癌症加上封口? | 
| [32:16] | Silence is much more expensive. | 封口的价格要贵得多 | 
| [32:18] | You have a number? | 你开个价吧 | 
| [32:19] | I would at least double it. | 至少加一倍 | 
| [32:20] | Add to that a press release that we had no case. | 外加一份媒体声明 承认我们输了 | 
| [32:23] | That’s a pretty big chip, we all know that. | 这是个优厚的条件 你我都有数 | 
| [32:25] | And that helps send a message to would-be plaintiffs out there: | 这有助于阻止潜在的原告提起诉讼 | 
| [32:28] | “Hey, you’d better forget about it.” | 告诉他们说 “嘿 还是算了吧” | 
| [32:30] | So let’s just say conservatively, it prevents three future lawsuits. | 保守估计 就算阻止了三起可能的诉讼 | 
| [32:33] | And that is conservative. | 这是保守的估计 | 
| [32:35] | And let’s put a price tag of 400,000 on each one of those trials. | 假设每起诉讼赔40万 | 
| [32:38] | It’s three trials at four, it’s 1.2 million. | 三起诉讼乘以40 就是120万 | 
| [32:41] | That would be our number. | 这就是我们的报价 | 
| [32:43] | Well, I’m telling you they won’t pay that much. | 我告诉你 他们不会同意的 | 
| [32:45] | I mean, they have no real fear of losing. | 他们并不真的怕输官司 | 
| [32:47] | So, why should they? | 所以 有什么必要 | 
| [32:48] | They certainly have a fear of being sued. | 他们当然怕遭起诉 | 
| [32:49] | This press release would be gold. | 这份媒体声明对他们来说非常有用 | 
| [32:52] | Well, from a major firm, maybe. | 如果出自某个大律师事务所 也许有用 | 
| [32:53] | But from this one, I don’t know. | 但出自你们事务所 我很怀疑 | 
| [32:57] | This is the firm that took a tobacco company for 1.7. | 我们事务所让烟草公司赔了170万 | 
| [33:01] | You’ve been underestimating us from the start, Mr. West. | 你一开始就低估了我们 West先生 | 
| [33:03] | Are you sure you wanna keep doing that? | 你确定你还要继续低估我们吗 | 
| [33:13] | Bec, could you contact all the clients | Bec 麻烦你联系所有的当事人 | 
| [33:16] | and see if they can come in? | 叫他们过来一趟 | 
| [33:17] | We may have an offer. | 我们也许能和解 | 
| [33:18] | You’re kidding. | 你开什么玩笑 | 
| [33:19] | Nothing official yet, but by the time he leaves, | 还没达成正式协议 但是在他走之前 | 
| [33:22] | we’ll have a number. | 我们会谈定一个数字 | 
| [33:24] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
| [33:25] | Yeah. I know. | 嗯 我知道 | 
| [33:34] | What? | 怎么了 | 
| [33:40] | Dead pigeon. | 死鸽子 | 
| [33:42] | How could he have gotten in here? | 他怎么进来的 | 
| [33:48] | Okay. | 知道了 | 
| [33:49] | Okay, what? | 知道了 然后呢 | 
| [33:50] | -Go, Bobby, leave. -Helen. | -你走吧 Bobby 回去 -Helen | 
| [33:51] | Two cops are on their way to my office. | 有两位警官正在来我办公室的路上 | 
| [33:54] | I don’t want them thinking this is some favor for you. | 我不想让他们以为是特别照顾你 | 
| [33:57] | Remember, you’re off the Christmas card list. | 要知道 你已经不在我的圣诞卡名单上了 | 
| [34:00] | They’re here. | 他们到了 | 
| [34:01] | Oh, great. | 哦 好的 | 
| [34:04] | Stay here. | 在这儿等着 | 
| [34:10] | He’s killed before, | 他杀过人 | 
| [34:11] | and we also suspect him in a police shooting. | 我们还怀疑他跟一起枪杀警察案有关 | 
| [34:14] | The one that paralyzed Officer Camden. | 是他害得Camden警官终生瘫痪 | 
| [34:16] | What do you want us to do? | 需要我们做什么 | 
| [34:18] | Here’s his home address. Follow him. | 这是他的住址 跟着他 | 
| [34:21] | If he jaywalks, bust him. | 如果他乱来 把他抓了 | 
| [34:23] | Now, we’re told he carries. | 我们了解到他带有武器 | 
| [34:25] | So you’ll have to use your judgment. | 所以你们要随机应变 | 
| [34:27] | Am I clear? | 清楚了? | 
| [34:29] | Yep. | 清楚 | 
| [34:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 | 
| [34:32] | I’ll owe you one. | 算我欠你个人情 | 
| [34:35] | -We are very excited. -Very. | -我们非常激动 -非常 | 
| [34:39] | They offered us a package of $995,000. | 他们愿意赔偿99.5万 | 
| [34:44] | That’s almost a million dollars. | 几乎就是一百万美元 | 
| [34:46] | We consider it fantastic. | 我们认为这是梦幻般的结果 | 
| [34:48] | We still think we can wiggle it up over a million. | 我们还是认为可以谈到一百万以上 | 
| [34:50] | But, that’s pretty much the ballpark. | 不过也差不了太多 | 
| [34:51] | That comes to roughly $ 76,000 per person. | 算下来 每个人大约是七万六 | 
| [34:55] | It’s a structured deal, | 分期支付 | 
| [34:56] | which means it’s not all payable up front. | 你们还不能马上拿到全部的赔偿 | 
| [34:58] | But it’s all payable within six months. | 但是六个月之内会全部付完 | 
| [35:01] | Zero to a million in a week. | 一个星期内从零变成一百万 | 
| [35:03] | Let’s string it out another week. | 我们再坚持一个星期吧 | 
| [35:06] | Okay,now for a few of the conditions. | 好了 有几个附加条件 | 
| [35:08] | The deal has to be sealed. We can’t talk about amount. | 和解协议必须保密 不能公开赔偿金额 | 
| [35:11] | They don’t admit liability. | 他们不承认责任 | 
| [35:13] | And we have to sign a statement basically | 我们还必须签一份声明 主要内容是 | 
| [35:15] | saying that we didn’t wanna go to trial | 我们不想上庭 | 
| [35:16] | because of causation problems in our case. | 因为我们证明不了因果关系 | 
| [35:19] | These are all pretty reasonable concessions, in my opinion. | 在我看来 这些都是相当合理的让步 | 
| [35:30] | They don’t admit they were wrong? | 他们不承认他们错了? | 
| [35:34] | No. | 是的 | 
| [35:36] | Wasn’t that sort of the point? | 难道这不正是我们的目的吗 | 
| [35:41] | -May I ask something? -Sure. | -我可以问个问题吗 -当然 | 
| [35:44] | This contingency agreement, | 根据风险代理协议 | 
| [35:45] | you take one third, right? | 你们可以得到三分之一的赔偿额 对吧 | 
| [35:48] | Yes. Plus costs. | 是的 再加上费用 | 
| [35:50] | Nine ninety-five,minus 330-something… | 99.5万 减去33万左右 | 
| [35:54] | We basically get 51,000, not 75. | 我们实际上能得到五万一 不是七万五 | 
| [35:57] | Something like that, yeah. | 是这样的 没错 | 
| [35:58] | And they don’t have to admit they did anything wrong. | 而且他们不必承认他们做错了任何事情 | 
| [36:02] | And we have to make a statement | 而我们还得声明说 | 
| [36:04] | saying we can’t prove our case. | 我们的案子赢不了 | 
| [36:06] | I mean, that’s what, like… | 我想 这是… 就好像… | 
| [36:09] | sending out a message to everybody else, | 告诉所有人说 | 
| [36:10] | “Don’t sue, you can’t win.right?” | “不要起诉 你赢不了” 是吗 | 
| [36:13] | Well, that’s one way of putting it, yes. | 呃 从某个角度来看 是的 | 
| [36:15] | And you get $330,000. | 你们可以得到33万 | 
| [36:17] | Would that be another way to put it? | 这是另外一个角度? | 
| [36:20] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 | 
| [36:22] | I’ll only speak for myself here. | 我只代表我个人的观点 | 
| [36:26] | I think this deal stinks. | 我觉得这个和解协议糟糕透了 | 
| [36:28] | In fact, I think it’s offensive. | 老实说 我觉得被侮辱了 | 
| [36:31] | When we came to you, | 我们来找你的时候 | 
| [36:32] | did we say anything about money, Mr. Berluti? | 有没有提过钱的事 Berluti先生? | 
| [36:35] | Every lawsuit is about money,Maureen. | 所有的官司都是为了钱 Maureen | 
| [36:38] | Not to me. | 对我来说不是 | 
| [36:39] | And I don’t think to the other people in this room. | 我想对在座的其他人也不是 | 
| [36:42] | We’re dying, Ms. Frutt. | 我们快要死了 Frutt小姐 | 
| [36:45] | My daughter has a tumor in her uterus.She’s 9. | 我女儿长了子宫瘤 她才9岁 | 
| [36:52] | If one person rejects the offer,it’s revoked for all. | 只要有一个人拒绝 和解协议就完全失效 | 
| [36:56] | -I reject it. -So do I. | -我拒绝 -我也拒绝 | 
| [36:58] | So do I. | 我也拒绝 | 
| [37:01] | You two are the only ones who win with this deal. | 你们俩是唯一从这份和解协议中获利的人 | 
| [37:04] | -You make me sick. -Hey. | -令人恶心 -嘿 | 
| [37:08] | Please. Sit down, Maureen. | 麻烦你 坐下 Maureen | 
| [37:13] | No other lawyer would touch this case | 没有其他律师愿意碰这个案子 | 
| [37:15] | because it’s the case that stinks. | 因为这个案子真的没办法打 | 
| [37:18] | Did those power lines give you cancer? | 是不是高压线导致你们的癌症? | 
| [37:20] | My bet is yes. | 我猜是 | 
| [37:20] | Can we prove it in a court of law? | 我们能不能在法庭上证明这一点? | 
| [37:23] | My bet there is a resounding no. | 毫无疑问不能 | 
| [37:25] | He took this case, not because he was greedy. | 他接下这个案子 不是因为贪婪 | 
| [37:27] | But because he felt sorry for you. | 而是因为他同情你们 | 
| [37:29] | And against all odds, | 在不可能的条件下 | 
| [37:30] | he got you an offer like this, | 他为你们争取到这样一份和解协议 | 
| [37:31] | it’s a miracle. | 这是个奇迹 | 
| [37:33] | Close to a million dollars. I am sorry, | 将近100万美元 抱歉 | 
| [37:35] | but that is as good as it’s gonna get. | 这已经是最好的结果了 | 
| [37:38] | While you certainly have the right to reject it, if you do | 你们当然有权拒绝 如果你们拒绝 | 
| [37:41] | l’m gonna recommend to Bobby Donnell | 我会建议Bobby Donnell | 
| [37:42] | that we drop you as clients. | 我们退出代理 | 
| [37:43] | We’re sympathetic, | 我们同情你们 | 
| [37:44] | but we are certainly not gonna bankroll your rage. | 但我们当然不能花钱来受你们的气 | 
| [37:46] | We’re not asking you to bankroll our rage. | 我们并不要求你们花钱受我们的气 | 
| [37:49] | We understand this is a place of business. | 我知道你们要赚钱 | 
| [37:51] | But to sell out… | 但如果要出卖… | 
| [37:54] | My daughter just celebrated her last Christmas. | 我的女儿刚过完她最后一个圣诞节 | 
| [37:59] | And for them not to admit they’re wrong? | 而他们不承认自己错了? | 
| [38:04] | I don’t care if I screw it up for everybody. | 我不管我是不是替大家把事情搞砸了 | 
| [38:11] | I don’t. | 我不管 | 
| [38:22] | I… I think maybe you should all meet. | 我…我想也许你们应该开个会 | 
| [38:28] | Get Maureen, | 叫Maureen回来 | 
| [38:30] | meet together without Ellenor and me. | 我跟Ellenor出去 你们一起商量一下 | 
| [38:36] | Figure out what you wanna do. | 决定你们准备怎么办 | 
| [38:41] | We’re all with Maureen on this,Jimmy. | 我们全都赞同Maureen Jimmy | 
| [38:44] | The decision that needs to be made seems to be yours. | 需要做决定的是你 | 
| [38:47] | Will you continue to be our lawyer or not? | 你愿不愿意继续代理我们的案子 | 
| [39:01] | If you choose to go forward,I’ll be your lawyer. | 如果你们决定继续推进 我就继续代理 | 
| [39:05] | I can’t speak for Ellenor, | 我不能代表Ellenor表态 | 
| [39:08] | but I think she’ll come along too. | 但我想她会跟我一起 | 
| [39:24] | Come on, Bec, I’ll walk you out. | 走吧 Bec 我送你出去 | 
| [39:26] | I still have stuff to do. | 我还有事没做完 | 
| [39:27] | I got to go to bed, | 我要回去睡觉了 | 
| [39:28] | and I’m not leaving you here. | 我不能把你一个人留在这里 | 
| [39:29] | Eugene Eugene. | |
| [39:31] | I’m not leaving you here. | 我不能把你一个人留在这里 | 
| [39:34] | Jimmy, will you lock up for me? | Jimmy 可不可以帮我锁门 | 
| [39:37] | Sure. | 当然 | 
| [39:46] | -Get down. -It could be maintenance. | -蹲下 -可能是修理工 | 
| [39:48] | Get down. | 蹲下 | 
| [39:57] | -Who are you? -Helms. | -你是谁 -Helms | 
| [40:00] | -Joel Helms. -Mr. Helms? | -Joel Helms -Helms先生? | 
| [40:03] | Get him up. | 扶他起来 | 
| [40:13] | Nice. | 好身手 | 
| [40:14] | What can I do for you? | 能帮你做点什么 | 
| [40:17] | Probably about as much as I can do for you. | 大概跟我帮你做的差不多 | 
| [40:20] | He’s sauced. | 他喝醉了 | 
| [40:21] | But I’ll be sober in the morning. | 可是我早上就会清醒 | 
| [40:25] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [40:27] | If you have any coffee, | 如果你们有咖啡 | 
| [40:29] | you might wanna start prepping me now. | 我们现在就可以开始准备 | 
| [40:34] | I don’t know, Lindsay. | 我不知道 Lindsay | 
| [40:35] | I mean, if he’s really serious about trying this case. | 我是说 如果他真的想打这个案子 | 
| [40:39] | You should be the one to do it. | 那也应该让你来做 | 
| [40:43] | How much more money can we afford to lose? | 我们还能再损失多少钱 | 
| [40:45] | You really want three lawyers on it? | 你真的想派三个律师来做这个案子? | 
| [40:46] | No, but… | 不想 但是… | 
| [40:49] | -What was that? -What? | -什么声音 -什么 | 
| [40:51] | It sounds like a kiss. | 听起来像是亲吻 | 
| [40:52] | Is that you, Helen? | 是你吗 Helen? | 
| [40:57] | Yes, it’s me. Wanna come over and join? | 是 是我 你想过来一起吗 | 
| [41:01] | Funny. | 幽默 | 
| [41:09] | Eleven-thirty. Better be good. | 现在是11点半 最好是好消息 | 
| [41:32] | Helen? Helen? | |
| [41:35] | What happened? | 怎么回事 | 
| [41:37] | The brother. | 他的哥哥 | 
| [41:39] | Officers approached. Evidently he went for his weapon. | 警官靠近他 他明显准备掏枪 | 
| [41:42] | They opened fire. | 他们就开枪了 | 
| [41:47] | Did he have a gun? | 他真的有枪吗 | 
| [41:50] | He did. | 有 | 
| [41:52] | They said they were following him at your request. | 他们说是按照你的要求跟踪他的 | 
| [41:56] | That’s right. | 是的 | 
| [42:00] | Well, it looks justified. | 看来警方没有不当行为 | 
| [42:04] | I guess that witness will sleep better now, huh? | 我想证人可以睡个好觉了 是吧 | 
| [42:09] | Yeah. | 嗯 | 
| [42:12] | Okay. Nothing much for me here. | 好了 这里没我什么事了 | 
| [42:16] | Nope. | 没有 |