时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | Five weeks before the trial? | 离开庭只有五周的时候? |
[00:01] | One week before the summary judgment hearing. | 离简易判决听证只有一周 |
[00:04] | I think we should take it. | 我想我们应该接这个案子 |
[00:05] | Sorry, Jimmy. | 抱歉 Jimmy |
[00:06] | I think we should take it too. | 我也认为我们应该接这个案子 |
[00:07] | What? Why? | 什么 为什么 |
[00:08] | Because 11 people in a two-mile radius got cancer. | 因为半径两英里范围内有11个人得了癌症 |
[00:11] | There are simply no facts to support the claim. | 根本没有任何证据支持他们的诉请 |
[00:14] | This is an attorney who demeans our profession. | 这是一个玷污了法律职业的律师 |
[00:16] | Those four people live within 100 yards | 这四个人住在离波士顿电力公司的 |
[00:19] | …of Boston Power Company power lines. | 高压线100码范围内 |
[00:21] | They didn’t get sick | 他们不是因为我 |
[00:22] | because I demeaned the legal profession. | 玷污了律师职业而患上癌症 |
[00:25] | This complaint does allege disputable questions of fact. | 这个案件涉及对事实问题的争议 |
[00:28] | The defendant’s motion for summary judgment is denied. | 被告要求简易判决听证的动议被驳回 |
[00:32] | They’ve offered us a package of $995,000. | 他们愿意赔偿99.5万 |
[00:37] | They don’t admit liability. | 他们不承认有责任 |
[00:38] | They don’t admit they were wrong? | 他们不承认他们错了? |
[00:40] | – No. – I think this deal stinks. | -不 -我觉着这个协议糟糕透了 |
[00:42] | We’re all with Maureen on this.Jimmy. | Jimmy 我们都赞同Maureen的意见 |
[00:44] | Will you continue to be our lawyer? | 你还会继续代理我们的案件吗 |
[00:46] | If you choose to go forward, I’ll be your lawyer. | 如果你们决定继续推进 我就继续代理 |
[00:48] | I thought I made it clear on the phone, I can’t help you. | 我想我在电话里已经说清楚了 我帮不了你 |
[00:51] | You made it clear you wouldn’t help me. | 你说的是 你不愿意帮我 |
[00:53] | I’m a drunk. | 我是个酒鬼 |
[00:54] | So you can see, I wouldn’t make a very great expert witness, would I? | 你瞧 我不是个靠谱的证人 不是么 |
[00:58] | He’s sauced. | 他喝醉了 |
[01:00] | But I’ll be sober in the morning. | 但是早上我就清醒了 |
[01:02] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[01:09] | The defense strategy is gonna be to attack our strategy… | 被告的策略将是直接攻击我们的策略 |
[01:13] | which they think is gonna be all emotion and sympathy. | 他们以为我们会以煽情和博取同情为策略 |
[01:16] | It ain’t gonna be that. We’re gonna be above that. | 他们想错了 我们的策略不止于此 |
[01:19] | I thought our case basically is all emotion | 我以为我们的整个案子就是基于感情的 |
[01:22] | since we’re weak on liability. | 责任方面 我们不是很牵强吗 |
[01:24] | Well, our case is credibility, who to believe. | 我们的案子是关于可信度的 哪方更可信 |
[01:27] | When I get up at the end and say | 当我最后站起来 |
[01:29] | those power lines gave you all cancer, | 说是高压线导致你们患上癌症 |
[01:31] | the jury has to believe me. | 陪审团必须相信我 |
[01:33] | Are there any other witnesses besides us? | 除了我们以外 还有其他证人么 |
[01:36] | Are we calling our doctors? | 我们的医生要作证么 |
[01:38] | Some. | 有一些 |
[01:39] | Most of the medical conditions have already been stipulated to. | 病情方面 基本不会有争议 |
[01:43] | It’ll all come down to causation. | 核心关键就在于因果关系 |
[01:45] | And for that, we have this Helms guy, the alcoholic. | 这一点上 我们需要这个叫Helms的酒鬼哥们 |
[01:50] | It makes me look fat. | 它让我看起来很胖 |
[01:52] | That was your stomach making you look fat. | 是你的肚腩让你看起来胖 |
[01:54] | It’s a good testifying suit. | 穿这身衣服出庭作证非常好 |
[01:56] | You’ll look all respectable but not, like, rich. | 你会看起来值得尊敬 却又不是富人 |
[01:59] | Hey, Jimmy? | 嘿 Jimmy |
[02:02] | I’m ready. | 我准备好了 |
[02:04] | I’m glad I’m doing this and I am ready. | 我很高兴能做这么一件事情 我一切准备就绪 |
[02:06] | I know you are. | 我知道 |
[02:08] | This is redemption time. | 救赎时间到了 |
[02:12] | -Is he still drinking? -At night. | -他还喝酒么 -晚上喝 |
[02:15] | In the day, he’s good. He’ll be okay. | 白天他没事 他会没事的 |
[02:18] | If he comes through, | 如果他这关过了 |
[02:19] | I figure we’ll get another offer. | 我想他们会重新提个调解方案的 |
[02:21] | Is he your only expert? | 他是唯一的专家证人么 |
[02:23] | Pretty much. I subpoenaed one other guy, but… | 差不多 我申请传唤另外一个证人 不过… |
[02:26] | Jimmy, if they do offer anything bigger… | Jimmy 只要他们开出高一点的条件… |
[02:29] | this isn’t about getting a big public apology. | 我们的目的不是要他们公开道歉 |
[02:31] | This is about money. | 我们的目的是钱 |
[02:33] | Oh, I know. If I could get it to 2 | 哦 我知道 如果我能要到两百万 |
[02:36] | l’ll shove it down their tonsils, don’t worry. | 我会说服他们接受的 别担心 |
[02:38] | Well, we’re getting nothing unless Helms holds up. | 要是Helms挺不住的话 我们一分钱都拿不到 |
[02:41] | He will. | 他会挺住的 |
[02:42] | How many experts do they have? | 他们有几个专家证人 |
[02:46] | More than one. | 不止一个 |
[02:47] | How many more? | 到底几个 |
[02:49] | They’ve listed 11, | 他们列出了11个 |
[02:50] | we figure they’ll call eight or nine. | 我想他们会传唤八九个出庭 |
[02:53] | Big hitters. | 都是著名的专家 |
[03:01] | You all set? | 都准备好了? |
[03:03] | I’ve waited my whole life for this case. | 我一辈子等的就是这样一个案子 |
[04:47] | Raise your right hand, please. | 请举起你的右手 |
[04:49] | Do you swear to tell the truth, the whole truth | 你是否宣誓将陈述事实 |
[04:51] | and nothing but the truth, so help you God? | 全部的事实且只陈述事实 |
[04:53] | -I do. -Please be seated. | -我宣誓 -请坐 |
[04:57] | Mike, could you tell the jury your full name and where you live? | Mike 请告诉陪审团你的姓名和住址 |
[05:01] | Michael Lewis Beal. | 我叫Michael Lewis Beal |
[05:03] | I live at 192 High Street, Fairfield, Massachusetts. | 我住在麻省Fairfield区High街192号 |
[05:08] | Do you know why you’re in court today, Mike? | Mike 你知道今天为什么到法庭上来吗 |
[05:09] | Yes. | 知道 |
[05:10] | Could you tell us why? | 能告诉我们为什么吗 |
[05:12] | I have leukemia. | 我得了白血病 |
[05:14] | I have brain cancer. | 我得了脑癌 |
[05:16] | Ovarian cancer. | 子宫癌 |
[05:17] | Lymphoma. | 淋巴癌 |
[05:18] | They say it’s terminal. | 医生说已经晚期了 |
[05:20] | I live about 300 yards from the power lines. | 我住在离高压线300码的地方 |
[05:22] | Maybe half a mile. | 大概半英里 |
[05:24] | Right next to it, actually. | 事实上可以说紧挨着 |
[05:25] | Malignant. | 恶性肿瘤 |
[05:26] | I’d say within a half a mile. | 我觉着不到半英里 |
[05:29] | They expect me to live. | 他们说我能活下去 |
[05:30] | But have any of the doctors | 但是有没有任何一个医生 |
[05:32] | told you it was caused by power lines? | 告诉你这是由高压线造成的 |
[05:35] | They tell me they don’t know what causes cancer. | 他们跟我说 他们不知道癌症的起因 |
[05:38] | It could be something in the air, something we eat. | 有可能是空气里有什么 或者我们吃了什么 |
[05:41] | Did they rule out the power lines as a cause? | 他们有没有排除高压线是造成癌症的原因 |
[05:43] | No, they did not. | 没有 他们没有排除 |
[05:44] | Why do you think it’s the power lines? | 为什么你们认为是高压线造成的 |
[05:47] | First, 11 people in one neighborhood get cancer. | 首先 同一个社区里11个人得了癌症 |
[05:51] | That tells me something’s going on. | 这明摆着有些不对劲儿 |
[05:53] | That power-line field sits ** in the middle of our neighborhood. | 那条高压线刚好横穿我们社区 |
[05:56] | -That could be a coincidence. – Perhaps. | -也许只是巧合呢 -也许 |
[05:59] | But then I read this study done in Sweden… | 但是当我读到瑞典的一份研究调查 |
[06:01] | -connecting… -Objection. | -提出… -反对 |
[06:03] | The testimony goes only to that he read the study. | 证词只涉及他读过这份研究结论 |
[06:05] | He’s not testifying as to the accuracy of its findings. | 不涉及该研究结论的准确性 |
[06:08] | The objection is sustained. | 反对有效 |
[06:10] | Your Honor, the question goes as to why this witness believes… | 法官阁下 我的问题是为什么证人会认为… |
[06:13] | I heard the question, counsel. I’m not allowing it. | 我听到你的问题了 我不允许 |
[06:16] | Any study done in Sweden has no relevance here. | 瑞典的任何研究调查与本案无关 |
[06:20] | Mr. Beal, what, if anything else, caused you to suspect | Beal先生 有没有其他原因让你怀疑 |
[06:24] | the power lines as a cause for this cancer cluster? | 是高压线导致了群体性癌症 |
[06:27] | There was a 1990 report done by the Environmental Protection Agency… | 1990年 环保局做了个报告 |
[06:31] | No, no. Your Honor, objection. | 不 不 法官阁下 反对 |
[06:33] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[06:34] | Mr. Beal, you will refrain | Beal先生 你不可以 |
[06:35] | from mentioning any outside studies. | 提到任何外部的研究调查 |
[06:38] | Members of the jury, | 诸位陪审团成员 |
[06:39] | sometimes witnesses and lawyers reference studies | 有时候 证人和律师 |
[06:42] | they have no intention of actually introducing as evidence. | 会提到他们无意作为证据的研究报告 |
[06:44] | Studies which look good from afar | 这些研究报告粗看还不错 |
[06:47] | but may prove to be unreliable when subjected to scrutiny. | 但是可能经不起仔细的推敲 |
[06:50] | I won’t accuse counsel of doing so here, | 我不是说原告律师正在这么做 |
[06:52] | but you should be advised | 但是你们要知道 |
[06:53] | that the fact that a study is said to exist somewhere | 只是口头提出 某个地方做过某项研究 |
[06:56] | should in no way account for its validity. | 丝毫不能证明该研究结论的准确性 |
[07:00] | He’s gonna screw you *every turn*, you know this. | 他每个回合都不会让你好过 你知道的 |
[07:01] | -Yeah, but… -Is Jimmy okay? | -嗯 不过… -Jimmy怎么样 |
[07:03] | Jimmy was fine. But, Ellenor, | Jimmy没事 但是 Ellenor |
[07:05] | I don’t know. You were there. | 我没搞懂 你当时在场 |
[07:06] | How could they turn down a million dollars? | 他们怎么可以拒绝一百万呢 |
[07:08] | Don’t get me started. | 别提这个话题 |
[07:09] | I think the woman with the brain tumor is calling the shots. | 我想是那个得了脑瘤的女人在拍板 |
[07:12] | -That was bad. -I know. I know. | -那可不妙 -我知道 我知道 |
[07:16] | Did Bobby ask you to take over? | Bobby让你接手么 |
[07:18] | He just asked me to watchdog him. | 他只让我协助他 |
[07:19] | And be ready, Lindsay. | 做好接手的准备 Lindsay |
[07:21] | Jimmy’s doing fine. | Jimmy做的不错 |
[07:33] | Anything potentially toxic in the well water? | 井水里会不会含有有毒物质 |
[07:36] | Not to my knowledge. | 据我所知没有 |
[07:37] | Does your town ever use pesticides in your area? | 你们镇上在你们住的那一片用过杀虫剂么 |
[07:41] | From time to time. Yes, in mosquito season, I’m sure. | 有时会用 有蚊子的季节肯定会用的 |
[07:45] | And there’s some farming done too in Fairfield? Isn’t that right? | Fairfield也有人耕种农场 不是么 |
[07:48] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:48] | And they likely use pesticides of some sort? | 他们会不会使用一些杀虫剂呢 |
[07:50] | They likely do, yes. | 很有可能 是的 |
[07:52] | Did anybody ever check out the well water in your area? | 有没有人检查过你们地区的井水 |
[07:56] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[07:58] | Anybody ever investigate pesticides? | 有人调查过杀虫剂么 |
[08:00] | I don’t think so. | 我想没有 |
[08:03] | You basically all shop at the same grocery market, don’t you? | 你们基本上都去同一家日用超市购物 对么 |
[08:06] | Pretty much, yes. | 是的 差不多 |
[08:07] | Well, then that market might be called a common denominator. | 那么 这个超市也可以被叫做”共同因素” |
[08:10] | I think it’s called Belsons. | 我想它是叫做”Belsons” |
[08:14] | Did the doctor tell you that carcinogens can be found | 你的医生有没有告诉你 |
[08:17] | in the things we eat? | 日常的食物中也含有致癌物质 |
[08:19] | Yes. | 说过 |
[08:20] | Mrs. Banner, is it completely impossible | Banner太太 那是否能够完全排除 |
[08:22] | that something you all ate | 是某种你们大家都吃的食物 |
[08:24] | contributed to your getting sick? | 导致了你们的癌症呢 |
[08:26] | I suppose not. | 我觉得不能 |
[08:27] | Anybody do any studies on the food at this market? | 有人检验过那家超市的食品么 |
[08:31] | Not to my knowledge. | 据我所知没有 |
[08:35] | There seem to be a lot of possibilities | 看起来 还有很多种可能性 |
[08:37] | that nobody ever bothered to rule out. | 而且没有人试图去排除这些可能性 |
[08:41] | Thank you very much. That’s all. | 非常感谢 我问完了 |
[08:47] | Mrs. Banner, who basically are you suing today? | Banner太太 你今天从根本上是要起诉谁呢 |
[08:50] | Basically the government. | 政府 |
[08:51] | And who led you to suspect the power lines | 是谁让你怀疑罪魁祸首是高压线 |
[08:54] | instead of well water or pesticides or grocery-market food? | 而不是井水 杀虫剂 或超市食品呢 |
[08:58] | -The government. -They did? | -是政府 -是政府? |
[09:00] | If they suspected pesticides or well water or food | 如果政府怀疑祸根是杀虫剂 井水或食物 |
[09:03] | I assume they would have checked it out | 我认为他们会去调查这些的 |
[09:06] | because I’m sure they care, | 因为我相信他们会重视这个事情 |
[09:07] | but they didn’t test those things. | 可是他们没有去调查这些 |
[09:09] | When we started getting cancer | 当我们开始一个一个患上癌症时 |
[09:11] | all of those scientists came running to the power lines. | 科学家们都跑去调查高压线 |
[09:15] | And what answers did they give you? | 他们给了你们怎样的结论呢 |
[09:17] | They haven’t given us any answers, Mr. Berluti. | 他们没有给我们任何结论 Berluti先生 |
[09:22] | I like the way he goes | 我喜欢他那个德行 |
[09:24] | -“Hmmm” You hear that? -Yes. | -“嗯..”你注意到没有 -对 |
[09:25] | How many times did he do that? | 他”嗯”了多少次 |
[09:30] | He goes “hmm” when he feels good | 他在感觉不错的时候 就会”嗯” |
[09:31] | so let’s hope we don’t hear it too often. | 所以还是希望他不要经常”嗯”吧 |
[09:35] | Here’s a toast to us. | 为我们自己干杯 |
[09:37] | Win or lose, we end up right back here having dinner together. | 不管输赢 我们都回到这里来 共进晚餐 |
[09:41] | -Here, here. -Well, it’s easy for you. | -干杯 干杯 -呵 你说的倒轻松 |
[09:43] | It’s not your house. | 又不是你家 |
[09:46] | That’s a good one. Well said, David. | 这个笑话不错 David |
[09:51] | All right, here’s the thing. | 现在的问题是 |
[09:54] | The next part of the case, this could go on for weeks. | 这个案子的下一阶段 也许会延续几周 |
[09:57] | I don’t know how many experts they’re gonna ** out. | 我不知道他们会传唤几个专家证人 |
[10:00] | But it’s important that you be there every day. | 但关键是 你们每一天都要出席 |
[10:02] | All this boring science stuff, | 这些科学上的证据非常枯燥 |
[10:04] | we gotta keep cancer in the room. | 我们要让”癌症”始终出现在法庭上 |
[10:06] | Is the alcoholic ready? | 那个酒鬼准备好了么 |
[10:09] | His name is Joel, and he’s gonna be great. | 他的名字叫Joel 他会表现得很好 |
[10:12] | I still say you should let me get on that stand and wig out. | 我还是觉着你应该让我出庭 秀一秀我的光头 |
[10:24] | If ever you think you made a mistake, | 只要你觉得自己说错了 |
[10:27] | just say so. Correct it. | 你就承认 并且更正 |
[10:30] | Don’t be thinking you’d better cover it up, because… | 不要以为最好是遮掩过去 因为… |
[10:33] | Can I go home now? | 我可以回家了么 |
[10:34] | Something else. | 还没完 |
[10:36] | Everything they ask you on cross, every single thing | 他们交叉质询的所有问题 每一件小事情 |
[10:40] | -they already know the answer. -They already know the answer. | -他们都已经知道答案 -他们都已经知道答案 |
[10:45] | You can expect them to go hard at you on that too. | 你要准备好他们会对你的酒瘾毫不留情 |
[10:48] | Jimmy, you know I might need a little something during lunch. | Jimmy 你知道我午饭的时候可能需要加点料 |
[10:52] | Hey, it isn’t gonna be anything that’s on my breath. | 嘿 我保证我嘴里不会有任何酒味 |
[10:54] | I’ll be fine. | 我会没事的 |
[10:55] | But otherwise, 4:00 get the shakes, maybe before. | 如果不喝 下午四点我会开始发抖 或许更早 |
[11:00] | If you come off even the slightest bit… | 如果你流露出来任何一点点的… |
[11:02] | -I know. -Do you know? | -我知道 -你真知道? |
[11:04] | Our whole case, it either stops with you or keeps going. | 我们整个案件的成败 全系于你一人 |
[11:07] | How many times you gonna say it? | 你到底要说多少次 |
[11:08] | I’ll say it till it sinks in! | 说到你听进去为止 |
[11:10] | What is this? The first case of your life? | 你怎么回事 这是你生平第一个案子? |
[11:13] | Let’s think of it as the first trial of your life, | 我们就把它当成人生中的第一次审判 |
[11:15] | and I’m not going down just because -I’m beginning to lose confidence. | -我不希望因为你的 -我已经开始失去信心了 |
[11:17] | -you take it lightly. -If I collapse, it’ll be from exhaustion. | -不认真而输掉 -如果我挺不住 那肯定是因为太疲劳 |
[11:18] | -You can restore your reputation -You have had me in this office | -你可以找回你的名誉 -过去整整两周 |
[11:21] | -Do you want to be a coward -till 2 a.m. | -你想一辈子 -你都让我在这个办公室里 |
[11:22] | -for the rest of your life? -For the last two weeks! | -都当一个懦夫么 -呆到凌晨两点 |
[11:24] | There’s something to be said for rest! | 我也该休息休息了 |
[11:25] | -Is that what you wanna do? – Grunt! | -那是你想要的么 -草根! |
[11:26] | Grunt! | 草根! |
[11:28] | -Drunk! | 醉鬼! |
[11:30] | -Fat! | 胖子! |
[11:31] | Bald! | 秃子! |
[11:33] | Bald? | 秃子? |
[11:48] | Jimmy Jimmy? | |
[11:50] | Yeah? | 嗯? |
[11:52] | Are we nervous? | 我们是不是太紧张了 |
[11:55] | Joel Joel | |
[11:58] | are you really ready? | 你真的准备好了么 |
[12:01] | Don’t you worry about me. | 不要担心我 |
[12:10] | You can’t testify from in there. | 你不能在那里面作证的 |
[12:12] | Thank you. That’s helpful. | 谢谢 你真帮忙 |
[12:14] | Just puke and get it over with. | 赶紧吐下 然后就没事了 |
[12:17] | I don’t know how I’d make it | 我真不知道如果没有你在旁边 |
[12:19] | without your bedside manner, Jimmy. | 我该怎么办 jimmy |
[12:20] | Hey, never mind. You’re on in two minutes. | 嘿 无所谓了 你还有两分钟就得上庭了 |
[12:23] | Come on, then. | 来吧 走 |
[12:25] | Hey, wash your hands. | 嘿 去洗手 |
[12:34] | I was a professor at Boston University for nine years… | 我在波士顿大学当了九年的教授 |
[12:37] | as an epidemiologist specializing in radiation research. | 是一个专门从事放射研究的流行病学家 |
[12:41] | And, Dr. Helms, did you ever have occasion to study power lines? | Helms博士 你曾经研究过高压线么 |
[12:45] | Yes, I did. | 是的 |
[12:46] | Did you have occasion to study the effect | 你是否研究过 |
[12:48] | of exposure to power lines on the human body? | 人体暴露在高压线下的后果 |
[12:51] | I did. | 研究过 |
[12:52] | Before we get into the nature of your study | 在我们花大量时间深入讨论 |
[12:55] | because it’ll take some time | 你的研究性质之前 |
[12:57] | could you give us an overall conclusion? | 你能否给我们一个概括的结论 |
[12:59] | Simply put, exposure to power lines is a cancer risk. | 简单的说 暴露于高压线有致癌的风险 |
[13:02] | You’re sure. | 你确定么 |
[13:04] | There’s no question, Mr. Berluti. | 毫无疑问 Berluti先生 |
[13:05] | Does it mean living next to power lines, you’ll get cancer? | 是不是住在高压线旁边你就一定会得癌症 |
[13:08] | Probably not. | 或许不会 |
[13:10] | But are you at a greater risk? | 但是否患癌症的风险更大 |
[13:12] | Definitely. | 肯定是 |
[13:13] | And every epidemiologist knows it. | 每个流行病学家都知道这一点 |
[13:15] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官阁下 |
[13:16] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[13:18] | Okay, doctor. This stuff gets pretty technical. | 好吧 博士 这些问题技术性太强了 |
[13:22] | Let’s start with what exactly is an electromagnetic field. | 让我们从电磁场到底是什么开始说吧 |
[13:26] | A power line. Electrical wiring. Electrical equipment. A cell phone. | 高压线 通电线圈 电器 手机 |
[13:31] | They all give off what is known as radio frequency radiation. | 它们都会发出射频辐射 |
[13:36] | -And this is harmful? -It can be. | -这种辐射有害? -是的 |
[13:39] | What this radiation does is heat body tissue. | 这种辐射会加热人的身体组织 |
[13:41] | If you get too much and | 如果你接受了太多的辐射 |
[13:43] | the body can’t dissipate it… | 你的身体消解不了 |
[13:44] | it can cause injury. Sometimes cancer. | 就会造成伤害 有时候会致癌 |
[13:47] | Now, to say something causes cancer | 事实上 说某种事物导致癌症 |
[13:50] | That’s really not fair. | 这确实不准确 |
[13:52] | What I should say is statistically | 正确的说法是 从统计学的角度而言 |
[13:54] | you become at higher risk for cancer. | 你得癌症的几率会更大 |
[13:56] | Why or how, we haven’t figured out. | 为什么以及如何致癌 我们还不清楚 |
[13:58] | And yet, if you haven’t figured it out, you seem pretty certain. | 既然你们还不清楚 可是你却非常肯定 |
[14:02] | Four times as many people living near | 住在高压线附近的人得癌症的比例 |
[14:04] | power lines get cancer, Mr. Berluti. | 是其他人群的四倍 Berluti先生 |
[14:06] | Just because we haven’t figured out why | 虽然我们还没有搞清楚致癌的原理 |
[14:08] | doesn’t mean we haven’t got a problem. | 但是并不代表这个问题不存在 |
[14:14] | -Well, how’s it going? – Well, he’s been strong. | -怎么样 -他相当不错 |
[14:17] | But it looks like he could use a drink. | 不过看起来他需要喝一杯 |
[14:19] | Seven hours now. | 作证已经持续七个小时了 |
[14:21] | Jury’s awake? | 陪审团没睡着吧 |
[14:22] | Oh, yeah. Oh, let me say this. | 哦 还好 这么说吧 |
[14:24] | Without having heard what the other side has to say | 在没有听到对方的说法之前 |
[14:27] | I am not living near power lines. | 我是肯定不会住在高压线旁边了 |
[14:30] | Did you report this to anybody? | 你有没有向任何人报告过 |
[14:32] | Did I report it? | 我有没有报告? |
[14:36] | That’s why I’m in telemarketing today. | 这就是我如今在做电话推销的原因 |
[14:38] | Because I reported it. | 正是因为我报告了 |
[14:39] | Who’d you tell? | 你向谁报告的 |
[14:40] | I first reported it to Boston Power. | 最初是向波士顿电力公司报告 |
[14:43] | Then the Environmental Protection Agency. | 然后是环保局 |
[14:45] | -Did the agency respond? -Yes. | -环保局有答复吗 -有 |
[14:47] | They found my data to be inconclusive. | 他们认定我的数据没有说服力 |
[14:49] | They also let me know | 他们还告诉我 |
[14:51] | should I compile any more data, | 要是我准备收集更多数据 |
[14:53] | I should keep it to myself. | 我不能将这些数据公开 |
[14:55] | Objection. Hearsay. | 反对 传闻证据 |
[14:56] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[14:57] | Who said that, Dr. Helms? | 这是谁说的 Helms博士 |
[14:59] | His name was Oliver Rock. | 他叫Oliver Rock |
[15:00] | He was a director of the agency’s division here in Boston. | 他是环保局波士顿分局的主任 |
[15:04] | Did he say anything else? | 他有没有说其它的 |
[15:06] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官阁下 |
[15:07] | Goes only to his response to the witness’s report. | 只涉及他对证人报告的答复 |
[15:11] | I’ll allow it. | 反对无效 |
[15:12] | What else did he say? | 他还说了什么 |
[15:14] | He said there are power lines all across the country. | 他说高压线遍布全国各地 |
[15:17] | We don’t need to start a national panic. | 我们不想引发全国性的恐慌 |
[15:23] | Did you see him squirm? | 你看到他坐立不安的样子没有 |
[15:25] | That West guy, | 那个叫West的家伙 |
[15:26] | he laid a big soft Baby Ruth when I said: | 当我说到”我们不想制造恐慌” |
[15:29] | “We don’t wanna make a panic.” | 他的脸都绿了 |
[15:31] | I don’t think he’ll be coming at you with candy bars tomorrow. | 我可不觉着他明天会给你准备些糖果 |
[15:34] | Now, let’s go through it again. Go even harder. | 现在 让我们再演练一遍 再凶狠一点 |
[15:38] | You were fired for being a drunk, weren’t you, Dr. Helms? | 你是因为酗酒被解雇的 对吗 Helms博士 |
[15:40] | -Yes or no? -No. | -“是”还是”不是” -不是 |
[15:42] | My battle with alcoholism began after I was discharged. | 我是被解雇之后才染上酒瘾的 |
[15:46] | My termination had to do with my unwillingness… | 我被解雇的原因是我不愿意… |
[15:48] | Don’t let him go on. West would be cutting him off. | 不要让他说下去 West肯定会打断他 |
[15:51] | Sorry. | 抱歉 |
[15:52] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
[15:54] | Can I talk to you for a second? | 我能跟你谈谈么 |
[15:58] | Keep going. Grill him. | 继续 狠狠地折磨他 |
[16:03] | Hey, come on in. Sit down. | 嗨 请进 坐吧 |
[16:07] | I hear it’s going well. | 我听说进展不错 |
[16:09] | Tomorrow’s the big one. | 明天是关键 |
[16:11] | If Joel can survive cross… | 如果Joel能经得住交叉质询… |
[16:13] | I’ve gone over their witness list. | 我看过他们的证人名单 |
[16:15] | They have some top researchers | 他们有顶尖的研究人员 |
[16:16] | two from California who’ve just done a study. | 两位来自加州的专家刚刚做过一项研究 |
[16:19] | I had Rebecca run some numbers. | 我让Rebecca算了一下 |
[16:21] | You put in roughly 400 hours on this case, that’s conservative. | 你在这个案子上大概花了400小时 保守估计 |
[16:26] | I bill you at 125 an hour, so we can figure 50,000. | 我给你定的收费标准是每小时125 总数是五万 |
[16:30] | Lindsay and Ellenor between them, | Lindsay和Ellenor也算上 |
[16:31] | takes it over a hundred thousand… | 就是超过十万的样子 |
[16:33] | and you’re up to 63,000 in costs. | 案件支出上 你已经花了6.3万 |
[16:36] | If this trial goes the distance, | 如果把审判程序全部走完 |
[16:39] | we could be in for 250. | 总数估计会到25万 |
[16:42] | If we could absorb that, that would be one thing. | 如果我们能负担的起 那没得说 |
[16:44] | But Jimmy this case is… It’s running us into the red again. | 可是Jimmy 这个案子…它让我们又出现赤字了 |
[16:48] | Business has been good here. | 事务所业务一直不错 |
[16:49] | Criminal business, nothing high-rent. | 都是刑事案件 收费不高 |
[16:51] | The big tickets are the drug dealers. | 我们的收益主要来自毒贩 |
[16:53] | Our biggest was shot dead. | 而最大的客户被枪杀了 |
[16:55] | Since Lindsay’s out of it, | 自从Lindsay不做贩毒案子后 |
[16:56] | nothing new is coming through the door. | 所里也没有新的客户 |
[16:58] | If I could squeeze a decent offer… | 如果我能争取到合理的和解条件… |
[16:59] | Jimmy, this list… | Jimmy 这个名单… |
[17:01] | any chance you have, | 你的任何机会 |
[17:03] | it depends on your ability to cross. | 完全取决于你交叉质询的能力 |
[17:05] | Now, I don’t mean to put you down | 我不是想贬低你 |
[17:09] | but this isn’t your strength. | 可这实在不是你的强项 |
[17:13] | What do you think I’ve been doing for the past month | 你觉得我过去一个月都在做什么 |
[17:16] | staying up till 3 or 4 in the morning? | 每天工作到凌晨三四点? |
[17:18] | I’m ready for these guys. | 我已经准备好交叉质询这些证人了 |
[17:19] | I understand that. But… | 我理解 但是… |
[17:21] | I was just thinking maybe if Lindsay | 我只是觉得如果让Lindsay |
[17:23] | handled their experts, then | 来质询专家证人的话 那么 |
[17:25] | that would give you more time. | 你可以有更多的时间 |
[17:26] | That’s her idea? | 是她的主意么 |
[17:27] | No, she says you’re doing great. | 不是 她说你表现很好 |
[17:28] | But you don’t think I’m up to a case like this, | 可是你认为我胜任不了这么大的一个案子 |
[17:30] | Bobby. I got it. | Bobby 我明白了 |
[17:32] | This isn’t a reflection of you, Jimmy. | 我不是说我不信任你 Jimmy |
[17:34] | No, that’s a lie. | 不 你在说谎 |
[17:40] | Your case isn’t good. | 这个案子本身就很难打 |
[17:43] | You’ve made the most of it so far. | 到目前为止你已经尽你所能了 |
[17:47] | The time could be right to settle. | 或许是时候和解了 |
[17:52] | He could be right. We may be at our strongest now. | 也许他是对的 现在正是我们最强势的时候 |
[17:57] | We gotta make a decision here. | 我们需要做个决定了 |
[18:00] | Get a number, Jimmy. | 让他们报价 Jimmy |
[18:02] | Then we’ll see. | 然后我们再决定 |
[18:07] | -Morning. -Morning. | -早 -早 |
[18:10] | It says Parcells may be coming back. | 据说Parcells要回来 |
[18:13] | I’d sooner welcome back Don Cherry. | 我倒宁愿要Don Cherry |
[18:18] | They want 2. You can get out for 2. | 他们想要两百万 两百万 我们就和解 |
[18:22] | I’m afraid that would not be an acceptable number from our side. | 恐怕我们没法接受这个数字 |
[18:28] | What is? | 可以接受多少 |
[18:29] | Nothing. | 零 |
[18:31] | Is nothing good for you? | 你觉得零怎么样 |
[18:33] | Oh, come on. Last week it was a million. | 拜托 上星期你们还愿意赔一百万 |
[18:35] | Things are going better for us than you expected. | 庭审对我们有利 比你预料的要好 |
[18:37] | Two gets you off cheap. | 两百万 你们算是捡了便宜了 |
[18:39] | You really don’t get it, do you? | 你真的没明白 是不是 |
[18:42] | The money we offered last week was a premium for silence. | 上星期我们愿意赔 是要买你们的沉默 |
[18:45] | To preempt your people going to court… | 阻止你的当事人出庭 |
[18:47] | getting their stories printed in the newspaper. | 避免媒体报道他们的新闻 |
[18:50] | We’re beyond that now. | 现在说这些已经晚了 |
[18:52] | The only interest we have now is in winning. | 只有打赢这场官司 才是对我们唯一有利的 |
[18:55] | And frankly, I’m not impressed | 坦率地说 我一点也不觉得 |
[18:56] | with your presentation so far. | 你目前的表现有多优秀 |
[18:58] | So I think you should recommend nothing to your clients. | 所以我觉得你应该劝说当事人接受这个”零方案” |
[19:01] | Because when I get finished with Mr. Helms today… | 因为当我今天盘问Helms先生之后 |
[19:03] | not only will your case be over, | 不光你会输的一干二净 |
[19:05] | I’ll be moving for costs… | 我还会要求你赔偿我们的诉讼成本 |
[19:06] | …and I very well might get them. | 而且我很可能会赢 |
[19:08] | That could cost you a half a million dollars. | 那会花掉你50多万的 |
[19:11] | Now, did that thought ever tiptoe across your mind? | 这个问题有没有在你脑中一闪而过呢 |
[19:15] | Or has it all been sugarplums? | 是不是你想到的全都是甜头 |
[19:21] | People like you think people like me | 你这种人总以为像我这样的人 |
[19:23] | can’t beat them. You’re wrong. | 不可能赢你们 你错了 |
[19:27] | I don’t doubt people like you can win, Mr. Berluti. | 我并不怀疑像你这样的人可以赢 Berluti先生 |
[19:30] | Only it won’t be this case. | 你只是赢不了这个案子 |
[19:45] | Now, Mr. Helms… Oh, excuse me. Dr. Helms. | Helms先生 哦 不好意思 Helms博士 |
[19:48] | -Are you still a doctor? – Yes. | -你还是博士么 -是的 |
[19:50] | -You work as a doctor? – No. | -做博士的工作? -没有 |
[19:52] | As I said yesterday, I’m in telemarketing now. | 像我昨天说的 我在做电话推销 |
[19:55] | And you’re no longer hirable as an epidemiologist, | 你不能再以流行病学家的身份找到工作了 |
[19:57] | are you, doctor? | 是么 博士 |
[19:59] | -No. -In fact, as a result | -对的 -事实上 |
[20:00] | of your claims that power lines cause cancer… | 由于你宣称高压线导致癌症 |
[20:03] | you lost respect within the medical community. | 你已经在医学界失去了尊敬 |
[20:05] | I became a political liability. | 我成了政治上的负担 |
[20:08] | And no other university, academic | 没有其它的大学 学术研究机构 |
[20:10] | or medical institution would hire you? | 或医学机构愿意聘用你? |
[20:12] | It would seem so. | 看来是这样的 |
[20:14] | So now you spend your days making cold calls | 所以你现在每天都在打冷冰冰的电话 |
[20:17] | trying to convince people that maybe they should change | 试图说服人们更换他们的 |
[20:20] | their long-distance telephone company. | 长途电话公司? |
[20:22] | -Objection. -Overruled. | -反对 -反对无效 |
[20:23] | -Are you an alcoholic? Doctor? -Objection. | -你酗酒么 博士 -反对 |
[20:25] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[20:26] | -Are you an alcoholic, doctor? – Yes. | -你酗酒么 博士 -是的 |
[20:29] | -Recovered? -No. | -康复了? -没有 |
[20:31] | -You still drink? -Yes. | -还在喝? -是的 |
[20:34] | Did you drink last night? | 昨晚你喝了么 |
[20:37] | Yes. | 喝了 |
[20:38] | -Were you drunk? -Objection. | -喝醉了么 -反对 |
[20:40] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[20:42] | Well, tell me, doctor. | 告诉我 博士 |
[20:43] | Are there any other scientists, to your knowledge | 据你所知 有没有其他的科学家 |
[20:46] | who would be willing to come forward | 愿意站出来 |
[20:48] | and affirm your theories concerning power lines and cancer? | 支持你关于高压线和癌症关系的理论 |
[20:52] | They won’t come forward because the government will go after them. | 他们不肯站出来 因为政府会迫害他们 |
[20:54] | Like they went after you? | 就像政府迫害你一样? |
[20:56] | Yes, Mr. West. | 是的 West先生 |
[20:57] | The government and the scientific advisory counsel considered | 政府以及科学咨询顾问认为 |
[21:01] | that it was more expedient to discredit me than to admit | 牺牲我的名誉比承认高压线可能致癌 |
[21:06] | that power lines are a cancer risk. | 要实惠的多 |
[21:09] | Well I just must say I’m surprised that the government | 我不得不说 我很惊讶于政府居然允许你 |
[21:11] | allows you to work in telemarketing. | 从事电话推销的工作 |
[21:12] | I mean, all those phone lines. | 我是说 那么多电话线 |
[21:14] | Calling people every day, talking to them, sharing the real truth. | 每天打电话给人们 告诉他们真相 |
[21:18] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[21:20] | Do you tell people that power lines killed JFK? | 你有没有告诉人们是高压线杀死了肯尼迪 |
[21:23] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[21:24] | Doctor | 博士 |
[21:27] | have you ever been hospitalized in a mental institution? | 你是否曾在精神病院住过院 |
[21:30] | Objection, Your Honor. | 反对 法官阁下 |
[21:36] | I told you. How the hell could it not happen? | 我就说过 怎么可能会不这样呢 |
[21:38] | Guy’s a drunk who did time in a mental ward. | 一个在精神病院呆过的醉鬼 |
[21:40] | -Lower your voice. -This is stupid. | -小点声 -太愚蠢了 |
[21:42] | Tilting a windmill here. | 这简直是在跟风车作战 |
[21:44] | You’ve never done that? | 你没做过这样的事情么 |
[21:45] | Does Helms have any credibility left? | Helms还有任何一点点可信度么 |
[21:47] | Well, I didn’t like the way the jury was looking at him. | 呃 我不看好陪审团看他的眼神 |
[21:50] | Let’s just try to get out. Anything. | 我们赶紧了结这个事情 只要对方愿意赔钱 |
[21:53] | We have to cut our losses. | 我们必须止损退出 |
[21:55] | If the clients resist, I’ll talk to them. | 如果当事人不同意 我去和他们谈 |
[21:57] | Well… | 呃… |
[22:00] | What? | 怎么了 |
[22:02] | They won’t be offering anything, Bobby. | 对方一分钱都不愿意赔 Bobby |
[22:04] | Even before Helms was crossed, the defense, they’re… | 即使在盘问Helms之前 被告方 他们… |
[22:08] | They’re offering zero. | 他们一分钱都不赔 |
[22:10] | Nothing? | 完全不赔? |
[22:12] | Since It has gone to trial, they’re determined to go to verdict. | 因为已经开庭了 他们决定让陪审团来裁决 |
[22:14] | And that was before | 这是在他们毁掉我们的证人之前 |
[22:15] | they chewed up our witness. | 就已经这么表示了 |
[22:16] | Their only offer is | 他们唯一肯给的是 |
[22:17] | we give them an agreement for judgment right now | 如果我们现在同意法官判决 |
[22:20] | they’ll drop any claim they have for abuse of process. | 他们就放弃起诉我们滥用诉权 |
[22:27] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[22:30] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[22:36] | Jimmy Jimmy, | |
[22:38] | maybe Lindsay should take their experts | 或许应该让Lindsay来盘问他们的专家证人 |
[22:41] | I don’t think that’s a good idea. | 我不觉得这是个好主意 |
[22:42] | The best part of our case right now is his relationship with the jury. | 我们目前最大的优势是Jimmy和陪审团的关系 |
[22:46] | I think they still like him. | 我想他们依然喜欢他 |
[22:52] | Okay. Don’t go toe-to-toe on science. | 记住 不要纠缠于科学的细节 |
[22:55] | All you do is preserve some doubt. | 你只要保留一些怀疑 |
[22:58] | Keep doubt alive. | 保住疑点 |
[23:00] | -Can you do that? -Yeah. | -你能做到么 -嗯 |
[23:04] | -Are you up on the science if…? -I can do it. | -你科学方面准备好了么 万一… -我能行 |
[23:10] | You studied the effects of power lines? | 你研究高压线的效应? |
[23:12] | For 11 years. | 研究了11年 |
[23:13] | And what conclusions did you draw with respect to cancer | 关于癌症和暴露于高压线及电磁场之间的关系 |
[23:16] | and exposure to power lines and electromagnetic fields? | 你有什么结论 |
[23:19] | There is no link. | 没有关联性 |
[23:20] | -None? – None. | -完全没有? -完全没有 |
[23:22] | Are you sure that power lines cannot cause cancer? | 你确定高压线不会导致癌症 |
[23:26] | Or are you sure that you haven’t found a link | 还是你只是没有找到高压线 |
[23:29] | as to how they could? | 可能导致癌症的原因? |
[23:32] | The latter. | 后者 |
[23:34] | Yes, inconclusive data. | 是的 数据缺乏说服力 |
[23:35] | We could make no correlation between exposure and cancer risk. | 我们不能在暴露和患癌风险之间建立关联性 |
[23:39] | On this scientific advisory board | 在这个科学顾问团里 |
[23:41] | four people were paid consultants for utility commissions, right? | 有四个人是由公用事业委员会支付薪水的 不是么 |
[23:46] | That’s correct. | 是这样的 |
[23:47] | The Air Force was aware of government tests. | 空军知晓政府的调查 |
[23:49] | We found no biological effects. | 我们没有发现对生物的影响 |
[23:52] | Didn’t the Air Force make efforts to suppress | 难道空军没有试图掩盖 |
[23:54] | the health effects of electromagnetic radiation? | 电磁场辐射对于健康的影响? |
[24:03] | How long have you been at Yale, Dr. Munson? | Munson博士 你在耶鲁大学多久了 |
[24:05] | Nineteen years. | 19年 |
[24:07] | And you’re an epidemiologist? | 你是位流行病学家? |
[24:09] | And also director of the public health center. | 同时也是公共健康中心的主任 |
[24:12] | And you were present in the courtroom for the testimony of Joel Helms? | Joel Helms出庭作证的时候你在场? |
[24:15] | I was. | 我在场 |
[24:17] | Do you have any response to that testimony? | 你对他的证词有什么看法 |
[24:19] | There’s absolutely no scientific or medical evidence… | 绝对没有任何的科学或者医学证据 |
[24:23] | to support the allegations made by the plaintiffs. | 来支持原告的指控 |
[24:26] | And I, as a doctor and a scientist, | 并且 作为一个医生和科学家 |
[24:29] | find these allegations to be outrageous. | 我认为这样的指控非常无耻 |
[24:31] | Are you familiar with the study done in Sweden? | 你听说过瑞典的研究么 |
[24:35] | Objection. | 反对 |
[24:36] | This man has testified that he has knowledge of the studies. | 这位证人作证说他知道这项研究 |
[24:39] | He’s testified that Dr. Helms’ conclusions offend science and medicine. | 他作证说Helms博士的结论侮辱了科学和医学 |
[24:43] | I am entitled to impeach the testimony of this witness. | 我有权利质询这位证人的证词 |
[24:46] | -I’ll allow it. -Dr. Munson | -反对无效 -Munson博士 |
[24:48] | you are aware of two recent Swedish studies | 你是否知晓最近的两项瑞典的研究 |
[24:51] | that concluded, scientifically concluded | 他们得出结论 得出科学的结论 |
[24:53] | that children living near power lines | 住在高压线附近的孩子 |
[24:55] | have four times the risk of developing leukemia. | 得白血病得几率是其他孩子的四倍 |
[24:58] | -Yes, but… -Thank you. | -是的 但是… -谢谢 |
[25:01] | You’ve answered my question. | 你已经回答了我的问题 |
[25:03] | Now, doctor, are you aware | 博士 你是否知晓 |
[25:04] | …of a 1990 federal Environmental Protection Agency report? | 环保局1990年的一份报告? |
[25:08] | That report was attacked and ultimately revised. | 那份报告备受攻击 并且最终被修改了 |
[25:11] | -Are you aware of that report? Yes or no? | 你知道那份报告么 知道还是不知道 |
[25:14] | Yes. | 知道 |
[25:14] | And that report linked exposure to power lines | 那份报告认为暴露于高压线 |
[25:17] | with leukemia and nervous-system cancer. | 和白血病及神经系统癌症有关联 |
[25:20] | Objection. He’s putting in studies. | 反对 他在引用研究报告作为证据 |
[25:22] | No, I am putting in his awareness of these studies | 不 我在引用他知晓这些报告的事实作为证据 |
[25:24] | while he tells this jury Dr. Helms is outrageous. | 他之前说Helms博士可耻的时候透露了这一事实 |
[25:27] | I’ll overrule the objection, but I’m cutting you off, counsel | 反对无效 但是我也不准你再问了 |
[25:30] | You’ve made your point. | 你已经说清楚你的观点 |
[25:32] | So let me get this straight, doctor. | 那让我明确一下 博士 |
[25:34] | You are aware of many studies that do support | 你清楚地知晓有许多研究报告 |
[25:36] | the allegations connecting power lines with cancer. | 都提出高压线会导致癌症 |
[25:40] | You’re aware of the studies and reports that support the allegations. | 你清楚有很多研究项目和报告都支持这种观点 |
[25:43] | Allegations, not conclusions. | 只是一种观点 而不是结论 |
[25:45] | So | 那么 |
[25:48] | when you said under oath: | 当你在法庭上作证说 |
[25:50] | “There is no scientific or medical evidence | 完全没有任何科学或者医学的证据 |
[25:53] | to support the allegations made by the plaintiffs.” | 可以支持原告的指控 |
[25:57] | Would that be a lie or a mistake? | 你是在说谎呢 还是说错了 |
[26:01] | Yes, it was a poor choice of words. | 是的 我的措辞不够严谨 |
[26:04] | Poor choice amounting to a lie or a mistake? | 不够严谨 相当于说谎还是错误 |
[26:13] | A mistake. | 错误 |
[26:17] | He survived it. Nine experts, 16 days, | 他坚持下来了 9个专家 16天 |
[26:20] | we’re still alive. | 我们没有被打倒 |
[26:22] | Are you suggesting we could win? | 你的意思是我们有可能赢么 |
[26:25] | I didn’t say that. | 我没这么说 |
[26:25] | I mean, none of those experts proved power lines | 我是指 没有一个专家可以证明 |
[26:27] | couldn’t cause cancer | 高压线不会导致癌症 |
[26:28] | but we didn’t prove that they can either. | 但是我们也没有证明高压线会致癌 |
[26:29] | Bobby, just that we’re going into closing | Bobby 能够带着一线希望 |
[26:31] | with even a chance. | 走到结案陈词这一步 |
[26:33] | Is he in the conference room? | 他在会议室? |
[26:33] | Don’t. He is practicing his summation. | 别进去 他在练习结案陈词 |
[26:34] | He got mad when I walked in so… | 我刚才进去他都抓狂了 所以… |
[26:37] | I wish you could have seen it. | 我真希望你亲眼看到 |
[26:39] | I’m going tomorrow. | 我明天会去 |
[26:52] | Jimmy Jimmy? | |
[27:00] | Jimmy. You okay? | Jimmy 你没事吧 |
[27:05] | Hey. | 嗨 |
[27:11] | -Will you do it? – What? | -要不还是你来吧 -什么 |
[27:13] | The closing. | 结案陈词 |
[27:15] | I might be too close to see straight. | 或许我当局者迷 看不清楚 |
[27:19] | You’re doing it. | 你要做结案陈词 |
[27:20] | Jimmy, you’re right where you wanna be. | Jimmy 你表现得很好 |
[27:22] | Going into summations with the jury trusting you, you’re here. | 现在你将面对信任你的陪审团做结案陈词 你一切就绪 |
[27:27] | You can do this. | 你能行的 |
[27:31] | Bobby asked you to take over, didn’t he? | Bobby让你接手 是么 |
[27:36] | He asked me to be ready to. | 他让我做好接手的准备 |
[27:38] | But it was never necessary. | 可是完全没有这个必要 |
[28:06] | Mr. Berluti? | Berluti先生 |
[28:17] | The trial part is over | 庭审已经结束了 |
[28:19] | and we’re in the same place we started. | 我们又回到了原点 |
[28:22] | Eleven people who live near the power lines got cancer. | 11位住在高压线附近的人患了癌症 |
[28:25] | Did I prove it with science? No. | 我从科学上证明了因果关系没有? 没有 |
[28:28] | Did they disprove it? No. | 他们证伪了因果关系没有? 没有 |
[28:32] | We don’t know what causes cancer, really. | 事实上 我们并不知道造成癌症的原因是什么 |
[28:34] | We only know what puts you in a higher risk of getting it. | 我们只知道是什么导致患癌风险的提高 |
[28:38] | Living near the power lines puts you at a higher risk. | 住在高压线附近会增加患癌症的几率 |
[28:42] | Evidence? | 证据? |
[28:44] | Exhibits one through seven have been sitting here every day. | 证据一到七号每天都坐在这里 |
[28:47] | You heard Mr. West suggest it could’ve been well water… | 你们听到West先生提出 可能是井水 |
[28:50] | …it could’ve been pesticides, could’ve been food | 可能是杀虫剂 可能是食品 |
[28:53] | or this or that. | 可能是这个或那个 |
[28:54] | Did they check on any of these things? | 他们调查过这些其它的东西么 |
[28:56] | Did they do any studies? | 他们进行过任何研究吗 |
[28:58] | Run some tests on water or dirt? | 检测过水或者土壤没有 |
[29:00] | Don’t you think if they suspected pesticides… | 你们难道不认为 如果他们怀疑是杀虫剂 |
[29:03] | and people were dying, they’d check that out? | 而且人们在生病死去 他们会做些检验吗 |
[29:05] | They didn’t. The only thing they studied was power lines. | 他们没有 他们只研究了高压线 |
[29:09] | They hired Joel Helms to study it. | 他们聘请Joel Helms来研究高压线 |
[29:12] | He found increased risk of cancer. | 他发现患癌的几率升高 |
[29:16] | The government defense to this lawsuit is | 政府在本案中的辩解是 |
[29:19] | they can’t really prove it. | 原告证明不了因果关系 |
[29:21] | And that is where the real outrage lies, ladies and gentlemen. | 这正是真正让人愤怒的地方 女士们先生们 |
[29:26] | While people are getting sick, getting brain tumors | 当人们一一生病 患上脑瘤 |
[29:28] | some even dying, instead of finding out why, instead of saying: | 有些甚至将要死去 可是政府不仅不去查清原因 |
[29:33] | “Let’s stop this.” | 不仅不去阻止这一切 |
[29:34] | They’re saying, “Prove it. And if you can’t prove it, we won’t help you.” | 反而说 “拿证据来 不然的话 我们帮不了你” |
[29:41] | A lawsuit, any lawsuit, | 一场诉讼 任何一场诉讼 |
[29:44] | is about allocating burden. | 都是关于责任的分配 |
[29:46] | Who is best able to absorb the responsibility? | 谁最有能力承担责任? |
[29:50] | If people living near public utilities start getting clusters of cancer | 如果住在公共设施附近的人们成群的患上癌症 |
[29:55] | I say that should put a burden on the government. | 那我要说政府最应该承担这个责任 |
[29:58] | A burden to find out what’s going on. | 弄清事实的责任 |
[30:01] | It isn’t right for government to just let people get cancer | 政府不应该任由人们患上癌症 |
[30:05] | and then, fall back on “the data is inconclusive.” | 然后摆摆手说 “数据缺乏说服力” |
[30:09] | That isn’t right. | 这是不对的 |
[30:10] | Studies are out there, all over, in this country and in Europe | 在我们国家 在欧洲都有相关的研究 |
[30:14] | making the argument that people get sick from power lines. | 认为高压线会损害人的健康 |
[30:18] | And our governmental response is, “inconclusive.” | 可我们的政府反应是 “缺乏说服力” |
[30:25] | You see these people? | 你们看到这些人了么 |
[30:28] | They’re ill. | 他们病了 |
[30:30] | And collectively, they have stories of suffering, chemotherapy, pain. | 他们历经煎熬 化疗 痛苦 |
[30:35] | Stories they did not tell you. | 他们没有告诉你们这些 |
[30:37] | I am privileged to represent them. | 我为能够代表他们而自豪 |
[30:40] | How do you put a value on their lives? | 你们怎么衡量他们生命的价值? |
[30:43] | I won’t ask you to. | 我不会向你们提出这个难题 |
[30:45] | But I can put a rough value on the cost | 但是我可以大致估算出 |
[30:49] | of the governmental admission that power lines kill: | 政府承认高压线杀人的成本 |
[30:52] | Billions of dollars. | 数十亿美元 |
[30:54] | Between tearing down existing lines | 相对于拆掉现有的高压线 |
[30:56] | compensatory damages, billions of dollars. | 并支付数十亿的损害赔偿 |
[30:59] | It’s a lot cheaper to let a few people die. | 让几个人默默死去明显要便宜的多 |
[31:03] | Maybe a lot of people. | 或许很多人为此死去 |
[31:05] | Is that happening here? | 这是不是正是发生的事实呢 |
[31:07] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[31:09] | My data is inconclusive. | 我的数据缺乏说服力 |
[31:12] | Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, | 陪审团的女士们先生们 |
[31:14] | it’s time to allocate a burden. | 是分配责任的时候了 |
[31:26] | Ladies and gentlemen, that was a brilliant argument. | 女士们先生们 刚才的陈词非常精彩 |
[31:31] | Unfortunately for Mr. Berluti, | 然而不幸的是 |
[31:33] | it was for the defense. | 恰好支持了被告方的意见 |
[31:36] | I’ll ask you to go back to that room | 我请你们回到陪审团室之后 |
[31:38] | and accept him at his word. | 采纳他所说的话 |
[31:40] | They can’t prove it. | 他们不能证明它 |
[31:42] | Now, it may be sound legislative policy to burden the government | 也许让政府承担查清致癌原因的责任 |
[31:46] | with rooting out the causes of this cancer. | 的确是一项正确的立法政策 |
[31:49] | But for a lawsuit | 但是对于诉讼来说 |
[31:50] | the plaintiff must prove his case by a preponderance of the evidence. | 原告必须用占优势的证据来证明自己的主张 |
[31:56] | They didn’t. | 他们没有 |
[31:57] | Not only did they skip over causation | 他们不仅跳过了对因果关系的证明 |
[31:59] | they never even addressed negligence | 他们甚至也没有说明存在过失 |
[32:01] | or any theory of blame. | 或者其它可以归责的理论 |
[32:03] | The essence of their case, | 他们整个案子的核心就是 |
[32:04] | “We have cancer, give us money.” | “我们患了癌症 给我们钱” |
[32:07] | Now, my heart goes out to these people, as should yours. | 我内心是同情他们的 你们也应该同情他们 |
[32:12] | But to win a lawsuit, you need proof. | 但是要赢得诉讼 你必须有证据 |
[32:15] | And what proof have they offered? | 他们有什么证据 |
[32:17] | The government didn’t check out pesticides. | 政府没有检查杀虫剂 |
[32:29] | Jimmy, I got the clients in the witness room. | Jimmy 我让当事人在证人室集合 |
[32:31] | You should probably say something before we dismiss them. | 在大家解散之前 你或许该说几句 |
[32:33] | -The deliberations could take a long time, so. – Okay. | -裁定可能要等很久 -好的 |
[32:35] | That was a fantastic closing. We have a chance. | 刚才的陈词很棒 我们有机会 |
[32:39] | -West was good. -Yes, he was. | -West很优秀 -嗯 是的 |
[32:42] | Come on. Let’s give them a sense of parameters. | 来吧 让他们心里有点数 |
[32:50] | Two million. You have it. | 两百万 |
[32:56] | Too little too late, Mr. West. | 太少 太迟了 West先生 |
[32:59] | My clients said they’d consider 8, nothing less. | 我的当事人说八百万可以考虑 一分不少 |
[33:02] | And I tend to believe them. | 我相信他们说的是真心话 |
[33:05] | Well, then, we’ll wait for the jury, won’t we? | 那好 我们就等陪审团吧 是吧 |
[33:08] | Yes, we will. | 是的 |
[33:17] | Are you out of your mind? | 你疯了么 |
[33:18] | He’s definitely authorized to go higher. | 他肯定有授权 可以给出更高的条件 |
[33:20] | – What’s going on? -He just turned down 2 million. | -什么事 -他拒绝了两百万的和解 |
[33:23] | No, they can go higher. | 不 他们可以开得更高 |
[33:24] | I don’t even think the clients would say yes anyway… | 反正我觉得当事人也绝对不会同意 |
[33:26] | Jimmy, small detail, you have to take it to the clients first. | Jimmy 细节上 你要先告知当事人 |
[33:30] | And I think they should grab it. | 而且我认为他们应该接受 |
[33:32] | Is it still on the table? | 现在还有效么 |
[33:41] | Four. | 四百万 |
[33:46] | I’d try to sell 6, | 我试试说服他们接受六百万 |
[33:47] | but if you’re worried about a quick verdict | 不过你若是担心裁决结果来得很快 |
[33:49] | you’d better go 8, ‘Coz they’re sleeping on 6. | 你最好开八百万 六百万他们没兴趣 |
[33:52] | You do have an obligation to inform your clients of any offer. | 你有责任告知你的当事人任何的和解条件 |
[33:54] | My clients told me not to even bother them unless it’s 8 | 我的当事人说 没有八百万就别打扰他们 |
[33:58] | which they still might say no to. | 即使八百万他们也不一定接受 |
[34:06] | Six with a clock. | 六百万 限定时间 |
[34:08] | One hour. | 一小时之内有效 |
[34:14] | I cannot believe it! | 我简直不敢相信! |
[34:17] | Settle down. Come on! Quiet! | 坐下 拜托 都安静! |
[34:21] | Payable today? | 今天就付么 |
[34:22] | We didn’t get that far. | 我们还没谈细节 |
[34:23] | Look, we agreed after last week we’d go by majority rule. | 上周我们一致同意 少数服从多数 |
[34:27] | We’re basically… | 基本上我们… |
[34:30] | What are the numbers? | 具体多少钱呢 |
[34:32] | Well, minus contingency plus costs, around 3.9… | 呃 扣除律师费 诉讼费用 大概390万 |
[34:35] | which comes to 350 or so per person. | 大概一个人35万 |
[34:39] | -Well, shouldn’t they be paying more? -Yeah. | -呃 他们不该多赔点么 -就是 |
[34:42] | -Not enough. -I agree. | -太少了 -我同意 |
[34:44] | No, wait a second. Hold on, hold on. | 别急 等等 等等 |
[34:46] | I know your desire to make a statement. | 我知道你们渴望让对方认错 |
[34:49] | But $6 million is not only a lot of money, | 可六百万不仅是很大一笔钱 |
[34:51] | it’s a huge statement. | 同时也是表明他们错了 |
[34:53] | This is a total victory. | 这是个彻底的胜利 |
[34:54] | But if they’re offering 6, that must mean… | 可是如果他们开价六百万 那表示 |
[34:56] | their jury consultants are telling them something. | 他们的陪审团顾问一定认为结果不乐观 |
[34:58] | That may be true, but you have to realize this is still | 也许是这样 可是你也要明白 |
[35:02] | a horrible case causation-wise. | 这个案子在因果关系上仍然极其薄弱 |
[35:04] | Now, Jimmy has pulled a rabbit here. | 这次 jimmy就像变戏法一样 |
[35:07] | A $6 million dollar rabbit out of a hat | 从一个没希望的帽子里变出来 |
[35:10] | that nobody gets to dig into. | 六百万这只大兔子 |
[35:11] | You have to take it. | 你们必须接受 |
[35:12] | It’s absolute insanity not to leap at it. | 如果不赶紧答应下来 你们绝对是疯了 |
[35:14] | Jimmy, what do you think? | Jimmy 你觉得怎样 |
[35:20] | It’s a crapshoot. | 我觉得有风险 |
[35:23] | But I’ve been spending a lot of time with you people. | 但是我跟你们大家相处了很长时间 |
[35:25] | If you settle, make a deal, you won’t walk away happy. | 如果你们和解 你们不会开心地离开 |
[35:29] | You didn’t come here looking to get a handshake. | 你们不是来握手言和的 |
[35:32] | You came to get a judgment. | 你们来寻求一个公正的判决 |
[35:34] | -Jimmy. -Just a second. | -Jimmy -马上 |
[35:37] | If it’s about money, say yes. | 如果是为了钱 那么就同意 |
[35:40] | And this is a lot of money. | 这确实是很大一笔钱 |
[35:43] | But, you’ve been telling me all along this is a fight about something bigger. | 但你们一直在说这不仅仅是为了钱 |
[35:47] | My vote? Tell them to stick it. | 我的意见? 拒绝他们 |
[35:50] | Yeah, well that advice borders on malpractice. | 你这个建议相当于执业过错 |
[35:52] | -You can’t ignore the fact… | 你们不能忽略事实… |
[35:53] | -Hey, who are you? He’s our lawyer. | 嘿 你算哪根葱 他才是我们的律师 |
[35:57] | Are we all agreed? | 我们都同意? |
[35:59] | -Yeah. -Yeah. | -是的 -是的 |
[36:01] | The offer’s rejected. | 拒绝这个和解方案 |
[36:08] | Bobby! Ever accuse me of malpractice… | Bobby 你要是再当着我的当事人面前 |
[36:11] | in front of a client again, I’ll deck you. | 说我执业过错 我就揍扁你 |
[36:13] | I’m tempted to report youto the bar. | 我真想去律师协会举报你 |
[36:15] | This isn’t about them needing a victory. | 这不是他们需要胜利 |
[36:16] | It’s about you! | 而是你! |
[36:17] | It’s about lifting some complex off of your head. | 是你一心想要证明自己 |
[36:19] | You can fire me. | 你可以炒了我 |
[36:20] | -Don’t think I won’t. -Come on, cut it out. | -别以为我不会 -拜托 都住口 |
[36:22] | -Mr. Berluti? -This is private, beat it. | -Berluti先生? -别打扰 在谈私事 |
[36:23] | Fine, but your jury’s coming back. | 行 不过你的陪审团回来了 |
[36:41] | Pretty fast. You’ve reached a verdict? | 真快 你们做出判决了么 |
[36:46] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[36:47] | What say you, Mr. Foreman? | 首席陪审员先生 请宣布判决 |
[36:51] | In the matter of Beal et al. Vs. Boston Power… | 关于Beal等人诉波士顿电力公司 |
[36:54] | and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts | 以及马萨诸塞州政府一案 |
[36:57] | we find in favor of the def | 我们判决胜诉方为被… |
[36:59] | Of the plaintiffs | 为原告 |
[37:01] | and order Boston Power to pay damages | 判决波士顿电力公司赔偿损失 |
[37:03] | in the amount of $2.6 million dollars. | 260万元 |
[37:06] | We further order the Commonwealth of Massachusetts | 判决马萨诸塞州政府 |
[37:08] | to pay damages in the amount of $36 million dollars. | 支付赔偿金3600万元 |
[37:12] | Settle down. | 安静 |
[37:21] | Settle down. Quiet. | 安静 |
[37:27] | Settle. Settle. | 安静 安静 |
[37:30] | Anyone who doesn’t settle will be removed. Quiet. Quiet. | 任何人不保持肃静的将被驱逐出法庭 安静 安静 |
[37:33] | Your Honor, we the defendants move… | 法官阁下 我们被告方请求 |
[37:37] | for a judgment notwithstanding the verdict. | 忽略陪审团裁定 直接做出判决 |
[37:38] | The Fairfield power lines may very well | Fairfield的高压线很可能确实 |
[37:43] | have caused these people cancer. | 导致了这些人的癌症 |
[37:44] | But nothing has been admitted into evidence to establish it. | 但是本案中没有任何证据可以证明这一点 |
[37:48] | The plaintiffs offered no facts to prove causation. | 原告没有提出任何事实来支持因果关系 |
[37:51] | I was hoping the jury would see that. | 我本期望陪审团可以看到这一点 |
[37:53] | Since you didn’t do your job, | 既然你们没有做好你们的工作 |
[37:55] | I have to do mine. | 我就必须做我的工作 |
[37:56] | Defendants’ motion for JNO V granted. | 被告要求忽略陪审团裁定直接判决的请求被准许 |
[37:59] | I hereby enter judgment for the defendant. | 本庭现在判决被告胜诉 |
[38:02] | We’re adjourned. Jury dismissed. | 休庭 陪审团解散 |
[38:04] | Can…? Can he do that? | 他…他可以这么做吗 |
[38:12] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 |
[38:41] | First, your instinct to reject the offer obviously turned out to be right. | 首先 你拒绝和解的直觉明显是正确的 |
[38:47] | Second, what you did in this case with what you had… | 其次 你在这个案子里的所做所为 |
[38:51] | what you were up against | 你的迎难而上 |
[38:53] | it may be the best lawyering I ever heard tale of. | 这或许是我所了解的最好的律师代理工作 |
[38:57] | And that judge can’t take anything away from that, Jimmy. | 这些都是法官拿不走的 Jimmy |
[39:15] | Come on. | 走吧 |
[39:17] | Let me buy you something to eat. | 我请你吃饭 |
[39:23] | I got plans. | 我有安排了 |
[39:28] | Well, I didn’t wanna win anyway. | 反正我本来也没指望要赢 |
[39:31] | I’m so used to being a martyr by now. | 我已经太习惯我的这个苦难角色了 |
[39:34] | This whole thing would have put me back in therapy. | 如果赢了的话 我又得去接受治疗了 |
[39:38] | We’re gonna appeal. It’s not over, right? | 我们可以上诉 还没有结束 对吧 |
[39:41] | Jimmy, we’ll appeal, right? | Jimmy 我们会上诉 对吧 |
[39:44] | Yes, we will. | 是的 我们上诉 |
[39:47] | The case will get more attention this way. | 这样的话 这个案子会吸引更多的注意力 |
[39:49] | It couldn’t be better for public awareness. | 更有助于唤起公众的意识 |
[39:52] | When they read that verdict, | 当他们宣读裁决时 |
[39:53] | I just saw a big boat. | 我眼前出现了一艘大船 |
[39:56] | How can you all be laughing? | 你们怎么都能笑得出来呢 |
[39:59] | Cheer up, Jimmy. | 开心点 Jimmy |
[40:01] | We got the verdict and that’s what we wanted. | 我们得到了陪审团裁决 这就是我们想要的 |
[40:04] | Oh, let him be depressed, David. | 哦 让他接着抑郁吧 David |
[40:05] | He’s the one that has to live with this the longest. | 他才是要带着这份不爽活得最久的那个 |
[40:31] | Jimmy, hey. | Jimmy 嗨 |
[40:33] | How come you’re here so late? | 你怎么这么晚还在这里 |
[40:35] | I’m just catching up on some things. | 我只是在处理点事情 |
[40:39] | You’re crying. | 你哭了 |
[40:40] | Oh, no. I… | 哦 没 我… |
[40:43] | Maybe a little. | 也许有一点 |
[40:45] | They’re okay, Lindsay. | 他们都没事 Lindsay |
[40:47] | I just came from them. | 我刚从他们那儿回来 |
[40:48] | They’re doing pretty good. | 他们都能接受 |
[40:50] | That’s good. | 那就好 |
[40:56] | What? | 怎么了 |
[41:01] | I was crying for you, Jimmy. | 我是为你而哭 Jimmy |
[41:04] | -You deserved… -I’m okay too. | -你应该… -我也很好 |
[41:07] | You know, I spend half my time wondering… | 你知道么 我花一半的时间 |
[41:10] | why I ever became a lawyer. | 在想我为什么要做律师 |
[41:13] | You? But you’re so good. | 你? 你这么优秀 |
[41:19] | The work can be so dirty sometimes. | 这份工作有时候太肮脏 |
[41:22] | But this trial… | 但是这个案子 |
[41:29] | You reminded me how noble lawyers can be. | 你提醒了我律师可以多么高尚 |
[41:35] | I was proud to be at your side. | 我为能站在你身边而自豪 |
[41:39] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:42] | And this… | 还有… |
[41:44] | You know, you should be celebrating tonight. | 你今天晚上应该庆祝一下 |
[41:52] | Yeah. | 嗯 |