时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | -It’s beautiful short. -I agree. | -但是短得很美好 -我同意 |
[00:02] | And I bet it’s more manageable, | 而且肯定更容易控制 |
[00:04] | like when you use Breck or something. | 就像Breck什么的一样 |
[00:07] | They’re gonna have a tough time proving you were after tourists. | 他们会很难证明你专门偷游客 |
[00:10] | My concern is, it won’t matter. | 我担心的是 他们根本不管这个 |
[00:11] | I just wanted the money. | 我只是想要钱 |
[00:13] | I like that ‘do. | 我喜欢那东西 |
[00:14] | Hey, Warren? Warren? | 嘿 Warren? Warren? |
[00:16] | A jury is a jury. | 陪审团不是闹着玩的 |
[00:17] | You snatched a handbag out of an old lady’s hand. | 你从老太太手上抢走了手提包 |
[00:19] | They’re gonna wanna put you in jail | 他们想把你关进监狱 |
[00:21] | Hey, hey, hey.You gotta take this seriously. | 嘿 嘿 嘿 你给我认真点 |
[00:23] | -Okay. -All right. Now, wear a tie. | -好吧 -那好 打上领带 |
[00:27] | -Donnell & Associates. -Bobby Donnell. | -Donnell律师事务所 -我找Bobby Donnell |
[00:28] | Mr. Donnell isn’t available. Can l… | Donnell先生没在办公室 你能不能… |
[00:30] | It’s an emergency. | 紧急情况 |
[00:31] | -Okay. -Tell your posse to get down here. | -嗯 -叫他马上到我这里来 |
[00:34] | -Yes. -It’s an emergency. | -好 -告诉他情况紧急 |
[00:35] | – I’ll tell… – You understand? | -我会… -你听清楚了吗行了 |
[00:36] | – Yes, Joey, I got that. – E-M-E-R-G-E-N-C-Y. | -Joey 我知道了 -十-万-火-急 |
[00:38] | -Emergency. -I’ll tell them. | -十万火急 -我会跟他们说 |
[00:41] | Joey Heric. Says he needs you to come to his place. | 是Joey Heric 他说需要你们到他家去 |
[00:44] | -Not me. -Oh, no, no, no. | -我不去 -哦 不 不 不 |
[00:45] | He says it’s an emergency. | 他说是紧急情况 |
[00:47] | Yeah, emergency? What’d he do? | 紧急情况? 他又干什么了? |
[00:49] | -Kill Marty now? -Tell Bobby. | -这次是杀了Marty? -告诉Bobby. |
[00:50] | I will. Better get over there. | 我会的 但你们最好去一趟 |
[00:51] | Forget it. Not going. | 休想 我不会去的 |
[00:53] | There’s no way that I am going. | 打死我也不去 |
[00:55] | I am not going alone. | 我肯定不会一个人去 |
[01:00] | My New Year’s resolution was to never lay eyes on him again. | 我的新年愿望就是永远不要再看到他 |
[01:03] | Don’t let him bait you. | 不要中了他的诡计 |
[01:04] | Yeah, you watch. | 好 你盯着点 |
[01:05] | He’s killed somebody, I promise you. | 他肯定杀了人 我打包票 |
[01:13] | All I’m gonna say is please don’t judge me. | 我只说一句话 不要指责我 |
[01:21] | All right, where’s Marty? | 好啊 Marty在哪里 |
[01:22] | Tell me you didn’t kill Marty. | 别跟我说你把他杀掉了 |
[01:24] | There you go judging me. | 你已经在指责我了 |
[01:25] | Can you keep your mind ajar, if not open, you hippo? | 你的心理能不能别那么阴暗 你个河马? |
[01:28] | Hey, listen, you psycho,why’d you call us down here? | 嘿 你这个变态 叫我们来做什么 |
[01:31] | It’s Marty. He’s not himself. | 因为Marty 他有点变故 |
[01:37] | There. He looks pale. | 那边 他看起来有点苍白 |
[01:42] | Again, I ask you not to judge me. | 再说一遍 请你们不要指责我 |
[02:32] | Unbelievable.Two lovers and they’re both dead? | 怎么可能 两个情人都死掉了 |
[02:35] | Lucky I’m not a flirt. | 还好我不是个花花公子 |
[02:36] | Quiet. What the hell happened? | 闭嘴 到底发生什么事 |
[02:38] | You killed him? | 你杀了他? |
[02:39] | Don’t you want to advise: | 你不是该给我建议吗 |
[02:40] | “Be careful what you say. | “小心说话 你所说的话 |
[02:42] | We’ll be stuck with it”? | 可能会给我们造成限制”? |
[02:42] | This time you tell me the damn truth. | 这次你他妈的告诉我事实真相 |
[02:47] | I killed him. I didn’t mean to. | 是我杀了他 但不是故意的 |
[02:49] | I was trying to win an argument. | 我当时在跟他争吵 |
[02:51] | You know, the last word can be so hard. | 你知道 有些话很伤人 |
[02:53] | You think because you got away last time | 你是不是觉得上次逃脱了 |
[02:55] | you can get away with it whenever? | 所以你每次都能逃脱? |
[02:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[02:59] | You’re sick, Joey. | 你有病 Joey |
[03:01] | Aside from that, let’s focus. | 先不管我的病 我们回到正题 |
[03:04] | Last time,I had a red herring to work with. | 上一次 我有一个替罪羊 |
[03:06] | This time, I don’t.I’m the only suspect. | 这次我没有 我是唯一的嫌疑人 |
[03:08] | Considering how lazy the police are, | 再想想那些警察有多懒 |
[03:10] | they’ll settle on me, won’t they? | 他们会直接抓我 对不对? |
[03:11] | They’ll say, “He killed before, | 他们会说 “他以前就干过 |
[03:13] | he did it again here.” | 这次肯定还是他干的” |
[03:14] | And they’d be right. | 他们说得没错 |
[03:16] | Marty is known for a temper. | Marty是个暴躁的人. |
[03:18] | After all, we know he did threaten to kill Peter. | 毕竟 我们都知道他曾经威胁要杀Peter |
[03:20] | And I caught a break here. | 我可以利用这一点 |
[03:22] | He was holding that knife in his hand | 在他中刀之前 |
[03:23] | before it reached its final destination. | 那把刀是拿在他手上的 |
[03:26] | So self-defense is viable. | 所以正当防卫说得通 |
[03:27] | Also, we can’t rule out insanity. | 另外 我们也可以考虑精神失常 |
[03:29] | I mean, goodness,I go around killing people. | 你瞧 老天爷 我到处杀人 |
[03:36] | What’s wrong with this guy? Is he sick? | 这家伙怎么回事 他有病? |
[03:38] | Obviously. | 显而易见 |
[03:39] | Anyway, Ellenor’s starting trial tomorrow and… | Ellenor的案子明天开庭 而且… |
[03:42] | I’m in. Just tell me where to start. | 我可以加入 告诉我从哪里入手 |
[03:44] | Arraignment’s at 10.I’m not expecting to get bail. | 传讯安排在10点钟 我不指望可以保释 |
[03:47] | -Did he give any statements? -He’s not going to. | -他做了供述没有 -他什么都不能说 |
[03:49] | I’m gonna move for a fast probable cause. | 我会申请立即安排正当诉由听证 |
[03:51] | I need some research on prior bad acts. | 我们要研究一下过往不良行为的问题 |
[03:53] | Need to suppress the fact he’s killed before. | 需要把他曾经杀过人这个事实排除掉 |
[03:56] | Wanna know the worst part about this? | 知道这个案子最糟糕的地方在哪里吗 |
[03:57] | We could actually get him off again. | 我们可能真的让他再次脱罪 |
[04:00] | We don’t have to represent the guy. | 我们不是非接这个案子不可 |
[04:02] | I mean, why do it if… | 我是说 我们可以不接 既然… |
[04:04] | Because we care. | 因为我们在乎这个案子 |
[04:12] | My other lawyer said come to you. | 我的其他律师叫我来找你 |
[04:13] | He said you’d beaten them before. | 他说你以前打败过他们 |
[04:15] | We settled. Nobody beats the tobacco industry. | 我们和解了 没有人能打败烟草公司 |
[04:17] | It’s up against the same lawyer. | 是被你打败的同一家事务所 |
[04:19] | The same firm you beat… | 同一个律师 所以… |
[04:20] | Even if we can prove your son is addicted to cigarettes… | 就算我们可以证明你儿子有烟瘾 |
[04:23] | Which I don’t think I am. | 我没有烟瘾 |
[04:24] | You’ve tried the patch, gum. | 你已经试过戒烟贴 口香糖 |
[04:26] | You can’t quit, Jeffrey. | 就是戒不掉 Jeffrey |
[04:27] | My point is, | 我想说的是 |
[04:28] | even if we could prove addiction, | 就算我们可以证明上瘾的事实 |
[04:29] | we can’t establish damages. | 我们也没办法证明发生了损害 |
[04:32] | He’s not sick yet. | 他还没有患病 |
[04:33] | But he will be if he keeps smoking. | 但如果他继续吸烟 他肯定会患病 |
[04:35] | There are plenty of class-action lawsuits | 其实 有很多这方面的集团诉讼 |
[04:37] | law firms who specialize… | 有专门做这类案件的事务所… |
[04:39] | I’ve been told that takes forever. | 我听说那些案件一辈子都打不完 |
[04:41] | Ms. Dole, I know this isn’t much of a case. | Dole女士 我知道这个案子希望不大 |
[04:44] | And I take responsibility for some of this. | 而且我也应该承担一部分责任 |
[04:46] | A good parent should be able to | 一个好母亲应该让 |
[04:48] | steer his son away from cigarettes. | 她的儿子远离香烟 |
[04:51] | But they have to take some responsibility too. | 但是他们也应该承担一些责任 |
[04:53] | They advertise to make smoking seem cool. | 他们打广告 把抽烟说成很酷 |
[04:56] | It just isn’t right,and I just can’t sit back and ignore it. | 这是不对的 我不能就这样视而不见 |
[05:01] | -Even so… -Could you just look at the file? | -话虽如此… -你能不能看看案卷 |
[05:05] | I brought it. | 我带过来了 |
[05:07] | No. | 不要 |
[05:10] | Sure. | 当然 |
[05:15] | All three victims were from out of state. | 三个受害者都是从其他州来的 |
[05:17] | Did the defendant know they were tourists? | 被告是否有理由知道他们是游客? |
[05:19] | Objection. | 反对 |
[05:20] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[05:21] | This witness has no foundation | 法官阁下 证人不可能 |
[05:23] | as to the defendant’s state of mind. | 知道被告的心理状态 |
[05:25] | Plus, the question assumes facts | 而且 控方的提问涉及了 |
[05:26] | not in evidence. | 本案证据以外的事实 |
[05:27] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[05:28] | Being from out of state doesn’t make somebody a tourist. | 从其他州来 不一定就是游客 |
[05:31] | Ms. Frutt,I’ve overruled you three times. | Frutt女士 我已经说了三次反对无效 |
[05:34] | Do you want the bailiff to get involved? | 你是不是想让法警过来 |
[05:37] | Plant yourself back in that chair. | 坐回你的座位上去 |
[05:45] | Officer, did the defendant ever rob a person | 警官 请问被告有没有 |
[05:48] | that was not from out of state? | 抢劫过本地人 |
[05:50] | Last year, he accosted a woman | 去年 他曾经跟一位叫 |
[05:52] | named Marie Teacher. | Marie Teacher的女士搭讪 |
[05:54] | In that case, upon discovering she was a Boston woman… | 后来 当他发现她是波士顿人… |
[05:56] | Objection. This goes to my client’s state of mind. | 反对 这是我的当事人的心理状态 |
[05:59] | The objection is overruled. | 反对无效 |
[06:01] | How can this witness speak to intent? | 证人怎么能证明主观意图 |
[06:02] | -He wasn’t there. -Counsel | -他当时根本不在场 -律师 |
[06:04] | Intent to affect commerce | 影响商业的主观意图 |
[06:05] | isn’t an element of the crime. | 不是犯罪的构成因素 |
[06:07] | One more interruption… | 再打断一次试试 |
[06:14] | Please be seated. This court is now in session. | 请坐 本法庭现在开庭 |
[06:17] | The Honorable Seymore Walsh presiding. | 由尊敬的Seymore Walsh主审 |
[06:21] | 72314,Commonwealth v. Joseph Heric | 案号72314 马萨诸塞州诉Joseph Heric |
[06:24] | murder in the first degree. | 一级谋杀罪 |
[06:26] | Robert Donnell for the defendant.Your honor, | Robert Donnell为被告辩护 法官阁下 |
[06:27] | we waive reading | 我们放弃宣读权利 |
[06:28] | ask for probable cause as soon as possible. | 请求尽快安排正当诉由听证 |
[06:30] | Bail? | 保释? |
[06:31] | Your honor, we are asking that bail be denied. | 法官阁下 我们请求拒绝保释 |
[06:33] | This man has killed before, | 他曾经杀过人 |
[06:35] | he tricked the Commenwealth on a plea bargin, -My client has no record of killing. | -在辩诉交易中戏弄了州政府 -我的当事人没有杀人的犯罪记录 |
[06:37] | He has only one charge, | 他只有一次被提起检控 |
[06:39] | which goes to aiding and abetting. | 罪名是教唆犯罪 |
[06:41] | I’m denying bail.Probable-cause hearing tomorrow. | 拒绝保释 正当诉由听证安排在明天 |
[06:43] | Ten o’clock. Next. | 十点钟 下一个 |
[06:53] | You get the honors again. | 你又走运了 |
[06:54] | Now I know that there’s a God. | 原来冥冥之中 真有天意 |
[06:57] | I’ve been praying every night I’d get this guy back. | 我每晚都祈祷让这家伙再落在我手上 |
[06:59] | We’re open to a plea. Misdemeanor assault. | 我们愿意认罪 轻罪人身伤害 |
[07:02] | That’s very cute. | 真有幽默感 |
[07:03] | If I lose this case, | 这个案子如果我输了 |
[07:05] | I am going to run through this building absolutely naked. | 我一定在这栋楼里裸奔 |
[07:11] | It is important that you say nothing. | 你现在什么都别说 这很重要 |
[07:14] | The question is, is it possible? | 问题是你能做到吗 |
[07:16] | Can you go a day without opening your mouth? | 你可以闭嘴吗 哪怕就一天? |
[07:18] | Let me see. | 我试试 |
[07:22] | -No. -You think I’m kidding? | -不行 -你觉得我在说笑吗 |
[07:24] | They may plant an informant in your cell. | 他们可能会在你的监室里安排线人 |
[07:26] | They’re not adverse to pulling stunts. | 他们不介意玩点手段 |
[07:28] | They’ll get you any way they can. | 他们会用尽各种手段来定你的罪 |
[07:30] | Even now they could be listening. | 说不定我们现在已经被监听了 |
[07:31] | So, what’s the plan? | 那么 我们有什么计划 |
[07:33] | I think they moved too fast on the arrest. | 我认为他们现在就逮捕你是太仓促了 |
[07:35] | They got over anxious. | 他们操之过急 |
[07:36] | Probable cause is tomorrow. | 明天是正当诉由听证 |
[07:38] | We’ll know then. | 我们到时候再看情况 |
[07:39] | Until tomorrow,you have to keep your mouth shut. | 在此之前 你必须给我闭嘴 |
[07:48] | You cannot, cannot, cannot take this case. | 你绝对 绝对 绝对不能接这个案子 |
[07:51] | I’ll just try one shot… | 我只是试一下… |
[07:53] | -Lindsay. -One visit with the professor. | -Lindsay. -就跟教授见个面 |
[07:54] | -God. -It can’t hurt, Rebecca. | -老天 -没有什么坏处 Rebecca. |
[07:56] | Can’t hurt? | 没什么坏处? |
[07:57] | Last time,we almost went bankrupt. | 上次 我们差一点就破产了 |
[07:58] | We bailed out with a loan | 靠了贷款才挺过来 |
[07:59] | We ended up making money. | 但最后还是赚了钱的 |
[08:01] | You know, cigarette companies target teenagers. | 烟草公司专门瞄准青少年 |
[08:03] | If the kid’s addicted, | 如果哪个孩子染上烟瘾 |
[08:04] | why shouldn’t they be responsible? | 他们难道没有责任吗 |
[08:06] | And off we go. | 又来了 |
[08:08] | One meeting. | 只是见个面 |
[08:10] | It’s worth a try. | 可以一试 |
[08:13] | And your studies show that crime affects tourism? | 你的研究发现犯罪会影响旅游业? |
[08:16] | Very much so. | 非常正确 |
[08:17] | People don’t wanna vacation where they don’t feel safe. | 人们不会到缺乏安全感的地方旅行 |
[08:20] | After rental cars | 当租赁汽车 |
[08:21] | were targeted in Florida, | 在佛罗里达州成为犯罪目标之后 |
[08:23] | European tourists stayed away in droves. | 来自欧洲的游客大量流失 |
[08:25] | It cost the state millions and millions of dollars. | 导致政府损失数以百万计的收入 |
[08:29] | Do you have any direct evidence | 你有没有直接证据 |
[08:30] | that my client has affected commerce? | 证明我的当事人影响了商业活动 |
[08:32] | Not evidence directly to your client, | 没有针对你的当事人的直接证据 |
[08:34] | but crime in general, yes. | 但是就犯罪整体而言 有 |
[08:36] | Crime in general.Do you have evidence | 就犯罪整体而言 你有没有证据 |
[08:38] | that purse-snatching has affected tourism? | 证明抢劫钱包影响了旅游业? |
[08:40] | I can’t cite statistics. | 我无法列举统计数据 |
[08:41] | Cite anything. | 随便列举点什么吧 |
[08:42] | -Objection. -Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[08:44] | But isn’t it the publicity of crime | 可是 难道不是对犯罪的报道 |
[08:47] | that really has the most direct influence? | 影响最直接吗 |
[08:49] | -Yes. -Does purse-snatching | -是的 -那么 媒体上对抢劫钱包 |
[08:51] | get a lot of play in the media here? | 这一类的事情报道很多吗 |
[08:52] | Not to my knowledge. | 据我所知没有 |
[08:54] | To your knowledge, has any crime ever committed by my client | 据你所知 我的当事人有没有任何罪行 |
[08:57] | been reported to the press? | 曾经被媒体报道过? |
[08:58] | Objection. Relevance. | 反对 没有关联性 |
[09:00] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[09:01] | Your honor, the charge is that my client | 法官阁下 检方指控我的当事人 |
[09:02] | has affected commerce. | 影响了商业活动 |
[09:04] | This witness is the one saying that he has. | 这位证人试图证明这种影响确实存在 |
[09:06] | The witness is not testifying to the media. | 证人不是针对媒体作证 |
[09:08] | The objection is sustained. | 反对有效 |
[09:14] | Mr. Samuelson, | Samuelson先生, |
[09:15] | has the prosecution paid you for today’s testimony? | 检方是否为你今天的作证支付了费用 |
[09:19] | I’ve received a small stipend for my expenses. | 我收取了一小笔费用 补贴我的开支 |
[09:22] | And would that be more or less than they’ve paid the judge? | 比他们付给法官的费用多些还是少些 |
[09:51] | He kept me in there six hours. | 他把我拘留了6个小时 |
[09:53] | What is the deal? | 怎么会这样 |
[09:55] | Judge plans to run for Congress? I don’t know. | 法官准备竞选国会议员? 我也不知道 |
[09:57] | He has a thing about repeat offenders. | 他对累犯有偏见 |
[09:59] | They offering any plea? | 他们提出认罪条件没有 |
[10:00] | Not yet. They’re gonna finish this morning. | 还没有 他们今天上午完结 |
[10:02] | I’ll move for a directed verdict. | 我会申请陪审团直接判决 |
[10:04] | How’s the psycho? | 那个变态怎么样了 |
[10:05] | Oh, don’t ask. | 哦 别提了 |
[10:07] | Hey, where you going? | 嘿 你去哪儿 |
[10:09] | Meeting. | 谈判 |
[10:10] | She took a tobacco case. | 她接了一单烟草案 |
[10:11] | What? | 什么 |
[10:13] | I agreed to a meeting. Rebecca. | 我只是同意谈一次 Rebecca. |
[10:20] | You want me? | 要我参加? |
[10:21] | Scott said pick a body. | Scott叫我找个帮手 |
[10:22] | You’re not still seeing Donnell are you? | 你不会还在跟Donnell约会吧 |
[10:24] | No. | 没有 |
[10:25] | Would you have any trouble going up against him? | 跟他打对手你会有障碍吗 |
[10:29] | No. | 没有 |
[10:30] | I can’t let this Heric guy walk twice. | 我不能让这个Heric再次逃脱 |
[10:32] | He completely suckered me last time. | 上一次我彻底被他耍了 |
[10:36] | -What time’s the PC? -Ten. | -正当诉由是什么时候 -十点 |
[10:40] | So, what do you say? Team? | 你觉得怎么样 一起? |
[10:44] | Team. | 好的 |
[10:54] | Lindsay, I can’t just cut a check to someone | Lindsay 我不能因为某个人的律师 |
[10:57] | because their lawyer | 碰巧是我以前的学生 |
[10:58] | happens to be a former student of mine. | 就随随便便地给他开支票 |
[11:00] | Get out with nuisance. | 帮你避免一些麻烦 |
[11:02] | The boy isn’t sick. | 那孩子又没得病 |
[11:03] | -He could be.- He could be. | -他会得病的 -他会得病 |
[11:04] | You don’t want to come to trial. | 你不希望进入庭审的 |
[11:06] | It’ll bring attention | 那样的话 人们会关注 |
[11:07] | that tobacco companies target teenagers. | 烟草公司专门针对青少年的营销策略 |
[11:09] | Lindsay, I’m not even aware of this case. | Lindsay 我一点都不担心这个案子 |
[11:14] | You certainly can’t expect me to make an offer on it. | 你也千万别指望我会开出和解条件 |
[11:17] | However | 不过 |
[11:20] | I can make an offer to you. | 我倒是可以给你个机会 |
[11:24] | Sorry? | 什么 |
[11:25] | Come work here. | 到我这里来工作 |
[11:29] | Professor… | 教授… |
[11:30] | Don’t tell the headhunters aren’t calling. | 别跟我说没有猎头公司找过你 |
[11:32] | Your reputation is… | 你的名声… |
[11:35] | Let me put it this way: | 我这么说吧 |
[11:36] | It couldn’t be more opposite to the one enjoyed by your firm. | 跟你所在的事务所的名声完全是两个极端 |
[11:39] | My firm has a pretty good track record, professor. | 我们事务所有相当不错的成绩 教授 |
[11:42] | Track record goes with wins and losses. | 仅仅是案件胜负上的成绩 |
[11:46] | Lindsay, at the end of the day | Lindsay 终有一天 |
[11:49] | you are going to wake up and ask yourself, | 你会醒悟自问 |
[11:51] | “What have I been doing?” | “我究竟做了些什么” |
[11:54] | Criminal law might be exciting. | 刑事辩护可能是很刺激 |
[11:57] | The kind of shortcut litigation you practice | 你们在诉讼中用的一些非常手段 |
[11:59] | might even be fun. | 也许还很有趣 |
[12:00] | But at the end of the day, when it’s all over and done | 但是 终有一天 当一切都结束 |
[12:04] | you go home with your own legacy. | 留下来的只有你自己的是非功过 |
[12:09] | You’re not going to be proud of yours | 如果你继续呆在那家事务所 |
[12:10] | if you stay in that firm. | 你到最后是不会为自己感到自豪的 |
[12:13] | And I don’t think I really have to tell you that. | 这些其实都用不着我来告诉你 |
[12:18] | I came in here to talk about a case. | 我这次来是讨论案子的 |
[12:22] | On that, you’ll certainly get nothing. | 关于案子 你不会有任何收获 |
[12:27] | When I arrived, | 当我赶到的时候 |
[12:28] | he was there,three lawyers and a victim. | 他和三位律师以及受害者都在现场 |
[12:31] | Did he tell you anything? | 他跟你说什么没有? |
[12:32] | No, he did not. | 没有 什么都没说 |
[12:33] | And then what happened? | 然后发生了什么事 |
[12:35] | We placed the defendant under arrest. | 我们拘捕了被告 |
[12:38] | You made an immediate arrest,detective. | 你立刻就采取了拘捕措施 警官 |
[12:41] | You didn’t wait to investigate. | 你没有等待进一步调查 |
[12:43] | You read this man his rights, you slapped the cuffs on, | 你向他宣读了权利 铐住他的双手 |
[12:46] | and here we are. | 接着就是这场聆讯 |
[12:47] | What physical evidence do you have? | 你们取得了什么物证 |
[12:49] | We have his fingerprints on the murder weapon. | 杀人凶器上有他的指纹 |
[12:52] | Well the murder weapon was a kitchen knife in his own kitchen. | 杀人凶器是他自己厨房里的菜刀 |
[12:55] | It would seem. | 是这样 |
[12:57] | You didn’t have anything else? Nothing else at all? | 除此之外 你没有其它任何物证了? |
[12:59] | We have knowledge | 据我们所知 |
[13:00] | the man killed his last lover with a knife. | 被告用刀杀死了他的上一个情人 |
[13:02] | And that figured into your thinking here? | 你觉得可以据此对这个案子做出判断? |
[13:04] | Of course, it did. | 当然 没错 |
[13:06] | He plunged a knife in the chest of a lover, | 他曾经把刀扎进了情人的胸口 |
[13:08] | killing him. | 杀死了他 |
[13:09] | We find him in a room with another dead lover, | 这次我们发现他跟死去的情人同处一室 |
[13:12] | a knife stuck in his chest. | 胸口也扎着一把刀 |
[13:13] | Despite what you’ve heard,we’re not dopes. | 显而易见的事实 我们又不是笨蛋 |
[13:17] | We’re the dopes. | 我们成笨蛋了 |
[13:19] | What happened in there was good, Joey. | 刚才的聆讯对我们有利 Joey |
[13:20] | What good? We lost. | 怎么有利 我们输掉了 |
[13:22] | What was the goal,to build character? | 我们的目标是什么 展现品质? |
[13:24] | We knew he’d find probable cause. | 我们知道他能够证明正当诉由 |
[13:26] | But we set up our motion | 但是刚才的聆讯对我们 |
[13:27] | to suppress perfectly. | 排除证据的动议非常有利 |
[13:29] | What are we trying to suppress | 除了自以为是的聪明之外 |
[13:30] | other than the illusion of intelligence? | 我们还有什么需要排除的 |
[13:33] | We’re trying to keep out of evidence | 我们希望禁止将你曾经杀人的事实 |
[13:35] | the fact that you killed before. | 作为本案中的证据 |
[13:38] | Can you? | 能办到吗 |
[13:40] | Can you suppress it? | 能够排除掉吗 |
[13:44] | We’re gonna try. | 我们会竭尽全力 |
[13:54] | -Helen -Bobby. -Helen. -Bobby. | |
[13:57] | So I guess it’s okay to be on opposite sides now, huh? | 我想 现在打对手没有问题了 是吧 |
[14:01] | Well, no conflict this time. | 呃 这次没有利益冲突 |
[14:05] | I guess not. | 我想也是 |
[14:09] | At this point, your honor, I move for a directed verdict. | 有鉴于此 法官阁下 我请求直接裁决 |
[14:12] | The government failed to establish any effect on commerce. | 检方完全没有证明对商业活动的影响 |
[14:15] | There is no burden on us | 根据霍布斯法案 |
[14:16] | under the Hobbs Act to prove an effect. | 我们没有责任证明存在影响 |
[14:19] | You want me to read the law? | 需要我把条文读给你听吗 |
[14:20] | Stop with the word games, counsel. | 不要再玩文字游戏了 律师 |
[14:22] | Word games? The law is a word game? | 文字游戏? 法律是文字游戏? |
[14:25] | I am losing patience. | 我已经失去耐心了 |
[14:29] | United States v. Buffy. | 合众国诉Buffy案 |
[14:30] | Fourth Circuit, not First. | 第四巡回法庭 不是第一巡回法庭 |
[14:32] | “Government failed to demonstrate the defendant’s conduct | “控方未能证明被告的行为 |
[14:35] | was reasonably likely to affect interstate commerce.” | 可能影响了跨越州境的商业活动” |
[14:38] | Your motion is denied.I am losing my patience. | 你的动议被驳回 我已经失去耐心了 |
[14:43] | The hell with patience | 耐心个鬼 |
[14:45] | you’ve lost your mind, | 你已经失去了理智 |
[14:46] | and that hasn’t slowed you down. | 即便这样也挡不住你 |
[14:53] | You have to drop it. We can’t afford it. | 你不能接这个案子 我们负担不起 |
[14:55] | Did I say I wouldn’t? | 我说了要接吗 |
[14:56] | You’re looking through the file,which is paper-thin. | 你在看案卷 只有几张纸的案卷 |
[14:59] | I’m just… | 我只是… |
[15:01] | Look at this. Motion to produce. | 你看 要求提供文件的动议 |
[15:04] | In response to any studies involving | 针对任何关于吸烟和癌症的研究 |
[15:07] | smoking and cancer they claim work product. | 他们的答复是 属于工作内容 |
[15:09] | Market-research studies | 市场调查研究报告 |
[15:11] | attorney-client privilege. | 属于律师-当事人保密范围 |
[15:12] | Give me a break. They’ve produced nothing. | 这也太夸张了 他们什么都没有提供 |
[15:17] | Well, at least I tried. | 至少我尽力了 |
[15:24] | What? | 怎么了? |
[15:25] | Maybe this is what we go with. | 也许这就是我们的突破口 |
[15:27] | What? Nothing? | 什么? 一无所有? |
[15:28] | Draft an ex parte motion to compel | 起草一份单方动议要求开示证据 |
[15:30] | and file an amended complaint naming Finley Hoag. | 同时向Finley Hoag提起赔偿诉讼 |
[15:33] | The law firm? | 告律师事务所? |
[15:35] | And Pearson personally. | 还有Pearson本人 |
[15:36] | You can’t amend this late. | 你没法要求他们赔偿 |
[15:38] | They’ll hit you with abuse of process. | 他们会反诉你滥用诉权 |
[15:39] | I just wanna get their attention. | 我只是想引起他们的注意 |
[15:41] | And leak a copy so they’ll be sure to show up. | 逼他们来应诉 |
[15:42] | Lindsay, what are you up to now? | Lindsay, 你到底想干什么 |
[15:44] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[15:45] | That’s our case. | 这就是我们的诉由 |
[15:50] | Can’t allow into evidence | 他杀了前任男友的事 |
[15:52] | he killed his former lover. | 不能作为本案的证据 |
[15:53] | Goes to show modus operandi. | 用来证明他惯用的作案手段 |
[15:55] | The final test has to be, “Is it prejudicial or not,” | 取舍的最终标准在于”是否导致偏见” |
[15:58] | and we know that it is. | 我们都知道答案是肯定的 |
[15:59] | If he goes to claim self-defense | 如果以正当防卫 |
[16:01] | I haven’t finished. Can I finish? | 我还没说完呢 等我说完行不行 |
[16:02] | -or that it was some kind of mistake -Quiet. Quiet down. | -或者过失来辩护 -肃静 肃静 |
[16:06] | My client wouldn’t get a fair trial | 如果陪审团知道我的当事人杀了前任情人 |
[16:08] | if the jury learns he killed his last lover. | 他就不可能得到公正的审判 |
[16:10] | They’d think he killed this guy. | 他们必然会认为这次也是他杀的 |
[16:12] | Give the jury some credit. | 要相信陪审团的独立判断 |
[16:13] | More than your detective? | 比你们的警官更独立? |
[16:15] | Judge, Detective McKrew said himself | 法官阁下 McKrew警官亲口说 |
[16:18] | he made the arrest because | 他逮捕我的当事人 |
[16:19] | they knew that my client had killed before. | 是因为知道他曾经杀过人 |
[16:21] | That was his testimony | 他在正当诉由听证会上 |
[16:23] | at the probable-cause hearing. | 作证的时候就是这么说的 |
[16:24] | Your Honor, the fact that… | 法官阁下 事实是… |
[16:25] | What is your defense theory? | 你们的辩护理由是什么 |
[16:28] | We haven’t decided yet, judge. | 我们还没想好 法官阁下 |
[16:30] | All right. | 这样吧 |
[16:30] | If the defense argues he accidentally stabbed the victim | 如果被告辨称是因为意外刺死了受害人 |
[16:34] | I will allow evidence of the prior stabbing. | 我将允许之前的杀人事件作为本案证据 |
[16:36] | Otherwise, that evidence will be inadmissible. | 否则 该证据不能呈堂 |
[16:39] | Your Honor, it should be admissible. | 法官阁下 这个证据是可以呈堂的 |
[16:41] | I have made my ruling, counsel. | 我已经作出裁定了 律师 |
[16:43] | We can set pretrial schedules in conference. | 我们另行会面讨论审前日程安排 |
[16:45] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[16:50] | That was big. | 这一步很重要 |
[16:52] | All they really have now is the fingerprints. | 现在他们唯一的证据只剩下指纹了 |
[16:55] | I like it. | 我喜欢 |
[16:58] | She is a nasty little snack treat,isn’t she? | 她真是个美味的小甜点 对吧 |
[17:05] | I wasn’t trying to affect commerce. | 我没有影响商业活动的意图 |
[17:07] | How many handbags do you think you’ve snatched? Warren? | 你知道你抢过多少个手袋吗 Warren |
[17:10] | How many times I been arrested? | 我被逮捕过多少次 |
[17:12] | Four. | 四次 |
[17:14] | Four. | 那就是四次 |
[17:16] | Five counting the one I gave back. | 算上我还回去那个就是五个 |
[17:18] | All right, Warren,let’s not lie to this jury. | Warren 我们对陪审团实话实说 |
[17:21] | You swipe handbags. | 你确实偷了手袋 |
[17:23] | But never, ever, ever to affect commerce. | 但是绝对 绝对 绝对不是想影响商业 |
[17:27] | See, there’s two things I love. | 瞧 有两样东西是我的最爱 |
[17:29] | My country and handbags. | 我的祖国和手袋 |
[17:37] | You think you’re cute? | 你觉得你很幽默? |
[17:38] | You think you can steal and get away with it | 你以为你可以偷了东西 眨眨眼 笑一笑 |
[17:41] | with a wink and smile? | 就全身而退? |
[17:42] | My personality’s my best strength. | 我的个性是我最大的优势 |
[17:44] | Well, try to let this sink in. | 你给我用心听清楚了 |
[17:46] | We have a judge who is trying to | 这个法官正试图针对累犯 |
[17:48] | set an example for repeat offenders. | 树立一个典型案例 |
[17:50] | At every turn, he is steering that jury to find you guilty. | 每一步 他都在引导陪审团判你有罪 |
[17:53] | If you go to prison… Look at me. | 如果你进了监狱…看着我 |
[17:55] | If you go to prison, your bunkmates? | 如果你进了监狱 你的舍友 |
[17:58] | They’re gonna find you really cute. | 他们会发现你真的很可爱 |
[18:04] | You’re a good kid, Warren. | 你是个好孩子 Warren. |
[18:06] | I don’t want your life to be over. | 我不希望你就这样完蛋 |
[18:07] | But if we lose here… | 但是如果我们输了… |
[18:12] | It is time to play grownup. | 你也该成熟一点了 |
[18:18] | -We got a shot. -You got to be kidding. | -我们有机会 -你开什么玩笑 |
[18:20] | No evidence.Joey’s word against Marty’s. | 没有证据 只有Joey和Marty各执一词 |
[18:22] | Can’t they tell from the wound | 他们不是可以根据伤口 |
[18:24] | who did the thrusting? | 来判断是谁下刀的吗 |
[18:25] | Not to a medical certainty. | 达不到医学上的确定程度 |
[18:26] | Joey could be on the street, free to date. | Joey可能会被释放 再去找人约会 |
[18:29] | There’s still forensics. | 还有法医学证据 |
[18:30] | We don’t know what that’s gonna tell us. | 我们还不知道具体有些什么 |
[18:38] | You were right, you got his attention. | 你说对了 果然引起他的注意了 |
[18:41] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[18:42] | She sued him. | 她起诉了他 |
[18:45] | Is there somewhere we can speak in private? | 可以找个地方私下谈谈吗 |
[19:08] | On what basis do you sue my firm? Or me? | 你基于什么理由起诉我的事务所 起诉我 |
[19:12] | On the basis of a hunch. | 基于我的直觉 |
[19:14] | You’re hiding documents | 你隐瞒了文件 |
[19:16] | or helping your clients hide them. | 或者是在帮客户隐瞒文件 |
[19:17] | We could settle now,make it all go away. | 我们可以现在就达成和解 了结这桩事情 |
[19:20] | Lawyers are expected to fight the good fight. | 律师应该光明正大地战斗 |
[19:22] | But to stoop to something like this. | 而不是采用这种下三滥的手段 |
[19:26] | This morning, | 今天早上 |
[19:27] | I was trying to persuade you not to become something | 我还劝你不要变成那种低级律师 |
[19:30] | that you’ve clearly already become. | 但显然你已经变了 |
[19:32] | What I’ve become, professor, | 教授 如果说我有什么变化 |
[19:34] | is somebody who doesn’t quite trust you | 我只是不肯轻易相信你 |
[19:36] | when you or your firm claim | 不相信你或你的事务所 |
[19:38] | you have no studies concerning | 所谓的你们没有关于 |
[19:39] | smoking and cancer. | 吸烟与癌症的研究报告 |
[19:41] | If you had read our responses carefully | 如果你仔细看过我们的回复 |
[19:43] | we claim to have no discoverable studies. | 我们说的是”没有可披露的研究报告” |
[19:46] | Meaning what? | 什么意思 |
[19:47] | They’re protected by attorney-client privilege? | 它们属于律师-当事人保密特权的范围? |
[19:49] | I don’t think so. | 我不相信 |
[19:50] | You think you know | 你以为你了解 |
[19:51] | what it’s like to go up against the tobacco industry? | 跟烟草公司打对手是怎么回事? |
[19:54] | Your clients like to bully | 你的客户喜欢吓唬 |
[19:55] | anybody who dares to sue. | 每一个敢于起诉他们的人 |
[19:57] | You won’t be bullying me. | 你吓唬不了我 |
[19:59] | I’ll be in court personally to respond to your motion. | 我会亲自出庭 答复你的动议 |
[20:04] | Then this doesn’t have to be goodbye. | 那我们就庭上再见好了 |
[20:12] | I… | 我… |
[20:16] | I’m disappointed. | 我很失望 |
[20:34] | The day of, the 15th? | 就在当天 是15号? |
[20:36] | About seven hours before he was killed, Ms. Gamble. | 大约在他被杀前七个小时 Gamble女士 |
[20:39] | Tell me exactly what he said, doctor. | 他具体是怎么说的 医生 |
[20:41] | Basically, that over the last three weeks | 他说 过去的三个星期 |
[20:44] | Mr. Heric had been subjecting him to mental torture. | Heric先生一直在精神上折磨他 |
[20:47] | Guised threats. | 含沙射影地威胁他 |
[20:49] | He kept telling him, for example, | 比如 Heric先生一直对他说 |
[20:50] | he should have a physical | 他应该去做个体检 |
[20:52] | that he looked like a man with heart problems. | 他看起来像是心脏有问题 |
[20:55] | Heart problems? | 心脏有问题? |
[20:56] | Chest pains. | 胸痛 |
[20:58] | Marty thought these were veiled threats to his life. | Marty觉得这是在暗中威胁要害他的性命 |
[21:05] | She can’t testify, right? That would be hearsay. | 她不能作证 对吧? 这是传闻证据 |
[21:07] | No. Since she was his shrink, | 不对 她是Marty的心理医生 |
[21:09] | it all gets in under doctor-patient | 他们的谈话属于医生和患者之间的交流 |
[21:11] | communications. | 可以作为证据 |
[21:12] | Joey, he went to his psychiatrist that very day | Joey 他死的那一天还去看过心理医生 |
[21:15] | saying he thought you were about to kill him. | 说他觉得你要杀掉他 |
[21:17] | Crybaby. | 他可真脆弱 |
[21:18] | We have to think plea. | 我们应该考虑认罪 |
[21:21] | -Absolutely not. -We can’t… | -绝对不可能 -我们不能… |
[21:22] | Bobby, it is one witness. | Bobby 只是一个证人而已 |
[21:24] | Juries don’t like psychiatrists. | 陪审团不喜欢心理医生 |
[21:25] | It’s gonna take more to make their burden. | 他们还没能证明他们的指控 |
[21:27] | This is how you practice law? | 你就是这样做律师的吗 |
[21:29] | One setback and give up? | 一遇到挫折就退缩? |
[21:31] | He’s dead. Nothing he said can come in. | 他已经死了 他说的话不能作为证据 |
[21:33] | I have the right to confront my accuser. Do I not? | 因为我有权利跟他当面对质 不是吗 |
[21:35] | It’s gonna come into evidence. | 可以作为证据的 |
[21:36] | We have to think about a possible insanity plea. | 我们必须考虑以精神失常达成认罪协议 |
[21:39] | -No. No, -Joey… | -不 不 -Joey… |
[21:40] | I am not gonna plead insanity. | 我不会承认精神失常 |
[21:42] | I threw that out as a joke.I will not go into court… | 我之前是说笑的 我不会在法庭上… |
[21:44] | Shut up and listen to me. | 闭嘴 听我说 |
[21:45] | Don’t ever tell me to shut up, Bobby. | 不要叫我闭嘴 Bobby. |
[21:48] | We don’t have to make any decisions right now. | 我们不需要马上就做决定 |
[21:51] | But I have to explore all our options | 但是我必须考虑所有可能的方案 |
[21:53] | so we have options. | 以做好应对 |
[22:13] | You told me about a psychiatrist you used to see. | 告诉我你以前看过哪个心理医生 |
[22:18] | I need you to authorize him to speak to me. | 我需要你授权他跟我谈话 |
[22:28] | I do not appreciate stunts, Ms. Dole. | 我不喜欢别人玩花招 Dole女士 |
[22:30] | Your Honor, look at their responses | 法官阁下 请看他们如何答复 |
[22:32] | to our motion to produce documents. | 我们要求提供文件的动议 |
[22:34] | We asked for studies which | 我们要求提供关于 |
[22:35] | go to their marketing strategies, advertising. | 营销策略和广告销售的研究报告 |
[22:38] | They claim they’re protected | 他们宣称这些文件受到 |
[22:39] | by attorney-client privilege. | 律师保密特权的保护 |
[22:41] | Much of their decision-making process | 他们有很多决策程序都会 |
[22:43] | involved meetings with lawyers. | 涉及跟律师之间的讨论 |
[22:45] | That’s just a sham. | 只是为了掩人耳目 |
[22:46] | This goes on with their studies on addiction too. | 他们关于成瘾性的研究也是这么做的 |
[22:49] | They have lawyers supervise the research | 他们让律师监管整个研究过程 |
[22:51] | so if any of the results come back bad | 这样 只要研究结果对他们不利 |
[22:54] | they can conceal it, | 他们就可以隐瞒这个结果 |
[22:55] | claiming privilege. | 说是保密范围 |
[22:56] | What evidence do you have that this is going on here now? | 你有什么证据能证明你所说的这些 |
[23:00] | Evidence of common sense. | 只要常识就够了 |
[23:02] | You don’t hire attorneys to do your science. | 你不会聘请律师来做科学研究 |
[23:05] | You don’t hire attorneys to develop advertising campaigns. | 你不会聘请律师来制定营销策略 |
[23:08] | Your Honor, she’s asking you to obliterate | 法官阁下 她是在要求你废除 |
[23:10] | the privilege between lawyer and client. | 律师和当事人之间的保密特权 |
[23:12] | This is a sanctity. | 这是神圣不可侵犯的 |
[23:13] | Which shouldn’t be abused. | 但不应该被滥用 |
[23:15] | I should give you these documents | 你觉得我应该把这些文件交给你 |
[23:17] | just because… | 仅仅因为… |
[23:18] | You don’t have to give them to me. | 你不需要交给我 |
[23:19] | Appoint a special master,or do it yourself. | 指定一个专家 或者你自己看也可以 |
[23:22] | You look at the studies. | 你来审查这些研究报告 |
[23:24] | If you think they fall under | 如果你认为它们属于 |
[23:25] | attorney-client privilege | 律师-当事人保密范围 |
[23:26] | l’ll take your word for it.I won’t take his. | 我会相信你的话 我不相信他 |
[23:31] | This is a ridiculous fishing expedition | 这是荒谬的刺探 |
[23:33] | and I would ask Your Honor | 我请求法官阁下 |
[23:34] | to take judicial notice of the disreputable stunts | 充分注意她的事务所过去 |
[23:38] | employed by her firm historically. | 所用过的各种下三滥手段 |
[23:40] | Stop attacking my firm, professor. | 请不要攻击我的事务所 教授 |
[23:42] | All right. | 好了 |
[23:44] | I am dismissing the complaint against | 我驳回针对Pearson先生 |
[23:47] | Mr. Pearson and his law firm. | 及其事务所的起诉 |
[23:49] | I see no foundation. | 我认为没有依据 |
[23:52] | As for the matter of the document production | 至于提供文件的动议 |
[23:55] | I shall take that matter under advisement. | 我会做进一步的斟酌和考虑 |
[23:59] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[24:10] | Eight years? | 八年? |
[24:12] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[24:14] | That’s their final offer. | 这是他们的底线 |
[24:16] | For stealing a bag? | 就因为偷手袋? |
[24:17] | Warren, my recommendation? | Warren 想听我的意见吗 |
[24:21] | You might wanna take it. | 你应该接受 |
[24:24] | And I might not. | 但我不可能接受 |
[24:25] | Obviously, things aren’t going very well. | 很明显 形势对我们不利 |
[24:27] | If we lose, that judge? | 如果我们输了 摊上这么个法官 |
[24:29] | He could hit you with 20, Warren. | 他可能会判你20年 Warren |
[24:37] | Twenty years? | 20年? |
[24:46] | I am just afraid of the judge slapping the maximum. | 我担心法官会按最高刑期来判 |
[24:49] | -Do you have a bead on the jury? -No. | -你觉得你能说服陪审团吗 -不行 |
[24:51] | And I wouldn’t rely on them being sympathetic. | 我也不能指望他们的同情心 |
[24:53] | I mean, he is a thief. | 毕竟 他确实是个小偷 |
[24:54] | Problem with a plea,you’ll waive your appeals. | 认罪的问题在于 你不能再上诉了 |
[24:57] | With this case, you got some. | 而这个案子你是有理由上诉的 |
[24:58] | Especially with that judge. | 特别是这样一个法官 |
[25:00] | You think I should go to verdict? | 你觉得我应该让陪审团判? |
[25:02] | I would. | 是的 |
[25:04] | It is just so unfair. | 这太不公平了 |
[25:07] | They are using him to make a political statement. | 他们是在利用他来表明政治立场 |
[25:11] | Argue that. | 把它作为辩护理由 |
[25:17] | You have to understand something. | 有些事情你必须明白 |
[25:19] | Joey Heric will never let you | Joey Heric绝不会允许你 |
[25:20] | argue insanity. | 以精神失常来辩护 |
[25:21] | -Maybe not. But I can at least try. -No. | -或许吧 但至少我可以试一试 -不可能 |
[25:24] | Definitely not. | 绝对不可能 |
[25:26] | He has a narcissistic personality disorder. | 他有自恋型人格障碍 |
[25:29] | Aside from needing to believe he’s sane | 他不仅觉得自己神智正常 |
[25:32] | he needs to believe he’s smarter than everybody else. | 而且他还认为自己比任何人都聪明 |
[25:36] | Haven’t you experienced that? | 你没有发现这一点吗 |
[25:38] | Oh, yes. And this disorder? | 哦 有 那么这种人格障碍 |
[25:44] | Do you consider him mentally ill? | 你认为他患有精神病吗? |
[25:46] | Very, though is he insane | 非常确定 他是否符合 |
[25:48] | under the McNaughten rule? | “麦纳顿规则”所确立的精神病人标准? |
[25:50] | No, he knew what he was doing | 不 他杀人的时候清楚 |
[25:51] | when he killed those men. In fact… | 自己的行为和后果 事实上… |
[25:54] | In fact what? | 事实上什么? |
[25:55] | Well, look at how he did it. | 看看他是怎么做的 |
[25:56] | This is a brilliant person. Genius. | 他是个非常聪明的人 简直是天才 |
[26:00] | If he wanted to plan the perfect crime to escape suspicion | 如果他想实施完美的犯罪 避开嫌疑 |
[26:03] | he could probably accomplish it. | 他很可能做得到 |
[26:05] | Instead, he kills with no alibi, | 相反 他杀人时没有不在场证明 |
[26:08] | the only one in the room with the victim | 现场只有他跟受害人独处一室 |
[26:10] | his prints on the weapon. | 凶器上留着他的指纹 |
[26:11] | And he invites his lawyers over to see his kill, | 他还邀请自己的律师来看杀人现场 |
[26:15] | like a cat with a dead mouse. | 就像猫逮住了耗子一样 |
[26:17] | It’s as if he commits a crime | 这一切对他就像一场游戏 他所犯的罪 |
[26:20] | where it’s impossible not to convict him | 不判他罪名成立简直不可能 |
[26:23] | and the game is still getting away with it. | 而他仍然能够全身而退 |
[26:26] | -Which feeds into his narcissism. -Exactly. | -满足他的自恋感 -完全正确 |
[26:29] | The deeper the hole, the greater the euphoria of climbing out. | 难度越大 挑战成功的快感就越强烈 |
[26:32] | Why? | 为什么呢 |
[26:33] | Because he needs to feel he’s smarter than anybody else. | 因为他要证明他才是全世界最聪明的人 |
[26:42] | I told you, no. | 我回答过你了 不行 |
[26:44] | First hear me out. | 先听我说完 |
[26:46] | Legal insanity for the purpose of a trial… | 在法庭上以精神失常作为辩护理由… |
[26:48] | No. | 不行 |
[26:49] | You considered it yourself. | 你自己也这么考虑过 |
[26:50] | -You said it was… -In jest. | -你说是… -我说着玩的 |
[26:51] | It’s too desperate. | 那样显得太走投无路了 |
[26:53] | No jury is going to believe I am insane. | 没有哪个陪审团会相信我精神失常 |
[26:55] | Joey, I can’t win this. | Joey 我赢不了这案子 |
[26:57] | I’m looking at the facts and I’m telling you, | 根据我所掌握的案情 我要告诉你 |
[26:58] | I cannot win this. | 我真的赢不了 |
[27:04] | Then maybe I should find another lawyer. | 既然这样 也许我该另找一个律师 |
[27:10] | Maybe you should. | 或许你说得对 |
[27:16] | Fine, you’re fired. Beat it. | 好 你被解雇了 你走吧 |
[27:23] | You know, I don’t even know why I should care about you. | 我真不明白为什么要在意你的案子 |
[27:27] | You killed two people. | 你背着两条人命 |
[27:28] | It shouldn’t bother me if you go away forever. | 你永远消失我都没有意见 |
[27:33] | Your arrogance got you this far, Joey. | 是你的自大让你走到这一步 Joey |
[27:36] | You really wanna keep going? | 你真的想继续走下去吗 |
[27:59] | On what basis do you wish to withdraw? | 你以什么理由要求退出本案 |
[28:02] | On the basis that my client fired me, Your Honor. | 理由在于我的当事人解雇了我 法官阁下 |
[28:05] | Mr. Heric, | Heric先生 |
[28:06] | are you citing grounds for the discharge? | 能说明一下为什么要解雇律师吗 |
[28:09] | Yes, Your Honor. Last night, | 可以 法官阁下 昨天晚上 |
[28:10] | Mr. Donnell informed me that he’s a lesbian. | Donnell跟我说他是个拉拉 |
[28:15] | Mr. Heric, from what I’ve learned about you, | Heric先生 根据我的了解 |
[28:17] | you might play this game in perpetuity. | 你会把这套把戏一直玩下去 |
[28:19] | You’ll hire and fire lawyers, | 你会不断聘请又解雇律师 |
[28:21] | and it’ll be years before we get to trial. | 几年都开不了庭 |
[28:23] | I’m ready now, Your Honor. | 我准备好了 法官阁下 |
[28:25] | I just wish to represent myself. | 我希望由我自己来辩护 |
[28:27] | Are you a lawyer? | 你是律师吗 |
[28:28] | No, but if I keep killing people, | 不是 不过如果我继续杀人 |
[28:30] | I figure they’ll let me in hell anyway. | 我想反正我迟早都要下地狱 |
[28:32] | Put this man back in custody. | 把他押回牢房去 |
[28:35] | When you’re ready to treat this forum seriously, Mr. Heric, | Heric先生 等你准备好认真对待庭审 |
[28:38] | we can resume. | 我们再继续 |
[28:39] | Your honor, no, please, I’m sorry. | 法官阁下 别 求你了 对不起 |
[28:40] | I’m really sorry. Listen | 非常抱歉 是这样的 |
[28:42] | Mr. Donnell wants to utilize an insanity plea, | Donnell先生希望以精神失常来辩护 |
[28:45] | which I am opposed to. | 而我不同意 |
[28:47] | And despite no formal legal training, | 尽管我没有接受过正式的法律训练 |
[28:49] | I do believe that I can represent myself | 但我相信有能力自己辩护 |
[28:52] | better than any member of the bar. | 比真正的律师还要称职 |
[28:55] | I’m ordering a psychiatric evaluation. | 我要求组织一次精神状态鉴定 |
[28:57] | We’ll do that today to determine competency. | 时间就在今天 以便决定被告的行为能力 |
[28:59] | If possible, I’ll rule on your request | 可能的话 我会在鉴定完毕后 |
[29:02] | at the end of business. | 对你的请求做出裁定 |
[29:03] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[29:05] | It’s a pretty straightforward law. | 在这方面 法律规定得非常清楚 |
[29:08] | Whoever affects commerce | 任何通过抢劫或者勒索 |
[29:10] | by robbery or extortion. | 影响了商业活动的人 |
[29:12] | Crime has a direct impact on tourism. | 犯罪会对旅游业造成直接冲击 |
[29:16] | Tourism is a form of commerce. | 旅游业属于商业活动的一种 |
[29:19] | This man robs tourists. | 被告抢劫了游客 |
[29:24] | Simple. | 就这么简单 |
[29:27] | This simple law, the Hobbs Act | 这部所谓的简单的法律 霍布斯法 |
[29:31] | it wasn’t passed to go after purse snatchers. | 其立法目的不是为了惩罚偷钱包的扒手 |
[29:34] | It wasn’t meant to target people who steal from tourists. | 不是针对那些从游客身上偷东西的人 |
[29:38] | The legislative intent of the Hobbs Act | 霍布斯法的立法目的 |
[29:40] | was to go after organized crime and other racketeers | 是为了打击有组织犯罪和敲诈政客的 |
[29:43] | who extort politicians. | 其他诈骗犯 |
[29:46] | And it is being manipulated here | 在本案中却被操纵 |
[29:48] | to go after my client. | 用来打击我的当事人 |
[29:49] | Why? Because the Commonwealth of Massachusetts | 为什么? 因为马萨诸塞州政府 |
[29:52] | wants a press release to convince all the tourists… | 希望通过这种方式告诉所有的游客… |
[29:55] | I object. None of this was offered into evidence. | 反对 这些说法没有证据支持 |
[29:58] | I agree. Objection sustained. | 我同意 反对有效 |
[30:00] | Counsel will not argue the legislative intent of the law. | 辩方律师不要再涉及法律的立法目的 |
[30:04] | The intent of the law isn’t relevant? | 立法目的与案件没有关联性? |
[30:07] | No, it is not. | 嗯 没有 |
[30:09] | The jury will be instructed to follow the letter of the law. | 我会要求陪审团按字面意义来理解法律 |
[30:17] | As was admitted into evidence | 正如证据所展示的那样 |
[30:21] | my client plead guilty in state court | 我的当事人已经在州法院认罪 |
[30:25] | and he received his sentence. | 并且已经领受了判决 |
[30:27] | The federal prosecutors | 然后 联邦检察官 |
[30:29] | are using this guilty plea to go after him | 利用这份认罪协议来追诉他 |
[30:31] | and well, here we are. | 所以我们才有这个案子 |
[30:34] | Prosecuting him for commerce violations. | 指控他影响商业活动 |
[30:39] | Now, as a defense attorney, | 作为一名辩护律师 |
[30:41] | I feel the sting of all the attacks. | 我常常因为被人攻击而万分苦恼 |
[30:43] | The stunts that we resort to, | 我们绞尽脑汁 |
[30:45] | the tricks to get the guy off | 用尽各种手段帮当事人脱罪 |
[30:47] | distorting the law to circumvent justice, | 曲解法律以逃避正义的惩罚 |
[30:49] | all the little sneaky tricks that we play. | 我们所采用的种种不光彩的小花招 |
[30:53] | And the poor prosecutors | 而那些可怜的检察官 |
[30:55] | with those sleazy defense attorneys | 跟那些卑鄙的辩护律师一样 |
[30:58] | just using all those end-arounds. | 无所不用其极 |
[31:00] | And the poor judges | 还有那些法官们 |
[31:02] | who see their courtrooms | 任由自己的法庭变成工具 |
[31:03] | just used as tools to bastardize justice. | 令正义一再蒙羞 |
[31:08] | This would otherwise be such a proud | 这本来是一个多么 多么让人 |
[31:11] | proud room. | 引以自豪的法庭 |
[31:14] | Wouldn’t it? | 不是吗 |
[31:39] | I thought it best we do this in chambers. | 我认为最好在我的办公室谈 |
[31:42] | Off the record. | 非正式的 |
[31:44] | Either of you object,I can call in the steno. | 如果你们有异议 我可以叫书记员进来 |
[31:49] | I’m fine. | 我没意见 |
[31:49] | All right. | 好的 |
[31:51] | Attorney-client privilege | 律师-当事人保密特权 |
[31:54] | has always been sacrosanct. | 一直被视为神圣不可侵犯 |
[31:55] | It has to be. | 这也是必须的 |
[31:57] | And I pity the judge who tries to tear the lid off. | 我不赞成由法官来捅破这层特权 |
[32:02] | But Mr. Pearson | 但是 Pearson先生 |
[32:05] | you have swept everything under privilege here. | 你把一切都置于特权保护之下 |
[32:09] | Your Honor, because the tobacco companies have been sued | 法官阁下 因为烟草公司已经被起诉过 |
[32:12] | a lot of those studies | 我们的研究大部分 |
[32:14] | have been triggered to fight off litigation. | 都是为了应对这些诉讼案件 |
[32:15] | Those studies fall under privilege. | 所以这些研究属于保密特权范围 |
[32:18] | Yes, you made that argument in court, | 是的 你在法庭上已经陈述过 |
[32:20] | and to some extent it’s valid. | 在一定程度上确实是这样 |
[32:22] | But when lawyers start guiding the research | 但是 让律师来指导研究项目 |
[32:26] | There’s no evidence that’s happened. | 没有这方面的证据 |
[32:28] | There is evidence that other tobacco companies | 确实有证据表明其他烟草公司 |
[32:31] | have used privilege to cover up scientific research. | 利用保密特权来隐瞒科学研究结论 |
[32:35] | And judging from my review of this case | 根据我对本案的审查 |
[32:38] | I have a strong suspicion that it’s happening here. | 我强烈怀疑你们在本案中也是这么做的 |
[32:40] | So strong that I am inclined to take a look. | 因此 我倾向于看看你们的文件 |
[32:46] | Now, Mr. Pearson | Pearson先生 |
[32:48] | we both know that there is a crime-fraud exception. | 我们都知道有一种犯罪欺诈例外情形 |
[32:53] | So if you have been using your attorney-client privilege | 所以 如果你一直利用律师保密特权 |
[32:58] | to assist the tobacco company in any sort of cover-up | 来帮助烟草公司隐匿任何证据 |
[33:03] | the consequences will be severe. | 那么 不管对你的当事人还是对你自己 |
[33:07] | For your client and for you. | 后果都会很严重 |
[33:11] | Now, I haven’t made my ruling yet in this case | 目前 我还没有对本案作出裁决 |
[33:13] | because the issue is so complicated. | 因为牵涉的问题相当复杂 |
[33:16] | And I know that any ruling against you in this matter | 我也知道 如果裁决对你不利的话 |
[33:20] | I am sure, will be appealed to the millennium | 相信你一定会上诉到千禧年去 |
[33:24] | given the stakes. | 考虑到这一点 |
[33:26] | So my suggestion here | 我给你们的建议就是 |
[33:30] | why don’t you two try to work it out? | 你们俩协商把问题解决了 |
[33:42] | Seventy-five thousand. | 七万五 |
[33:44] | Times 10. | 乘以十 |
[33:45] | Oh, please. You can’t even show damages. | 拜托 你根本都证明不了损害结果 |
[33:47] | The damage here will be yours. | 受损害的将会是你们 |
[33:50] | You can’t risk letting that judge see some of those documents. | 你不敢冒险让法官看到你们的文件 |
[33:53] | It’s now 10:15. | 现在是十点十五分 |
[33:55] | I’ll be at your office at 3:00. | 我三点钟去你办公室 |
[33:57] | If you don’t have a check for 750,000, | 如果你没有准备好75万的支票 |
[33:59] | it’ll go up to a million. | 我们的要价就会变成100万 |
[34:00] | Think that’s a bluff? | 要是你觉得我在虚张声势 |
[34:02] | Your prerogative. | 那是你的权利 |
[34:03] | But what we just heard in there? | 但是想想法官刚才说的话 |
[34:04] | That was no bluff. | 那可不是虚张声势 |
[34:07] | Three o’clock. Sharp. | 三点钟 准时 |
[34:15] | I’m gonna ask you a series of questions. | 我会问你一系列的问题 |
[34:18] | Some will be unrelated. | 有一些是跟主题无关的 |
[34:21] | Mainly, I’m looking | 主要目的在于 |
[34:23] | to determine whether you fully understand | 我要判断你是否能够完全理解 |
[34:27] | the criminal proceeding which you are about to encounter. | 你将面临的刑事诉讼程序 |
[34:31] | Do you understand it? | 那你理解吗 |
[34:32] | You wanna be judged competent or not? | Joey 你还想不想被认定行为能力正常? |
[34:34] | That’s just it. | 真有意思 |
[34:35] | I could be found competent to stand trial, | 我可以被认定为行为能力正常 |
[34:36] | only to be judged insane. | 可以接受审判 然后被判精神失常 |
[34:39] | I could plead insanity if I wanted, | 如果我愿意 我可以以精神失常辩护 |
[34:41] | not that I will | 不是说我一定会 |
[34:43] | but only if this little button | 但前提是这个小不点 |
[34:45] | finds me competent. | 要认定我有行为能力 |
[34:46] | Should I understand the criminal-justice system, Mildred? | 你觉得我了解刑事司法体系吗 Mildred |
[34:50] | Can I call you Mildred? | 我可以叫你Mildred吗 |
[34:52] | Why did you kill this Marty person? | 你为什么要杀Marty |
[34:54] | You can’t ask that. | 你不能问这个 |
[34:55] | That’s right. | 说得对 |
[34:56] | That’s not appropriate for a competency hearing. | 你不能在行为能力听证的时候问这个问题 |
[34:59] | But | 不过 |
[35:01] | l’ll tell you. If I killed him | 我可以告诉你 如果是我杀了他 |
[35:05] | it was because I loved him. | 那是因为我爱他 |
[35:09] | Either that, or because he was gay. | 或者 又因为他是个同性恋 |
[35:11] | Joey Joey. | |
[35:12] | What can I say? God spoke to me. | 我能怎么办 上帝对我说的 |
[35:13] | He said, “Get rid of the homos.” | 他说 “消灭同性恋” |
[35:15] | He said he’d been trying with AIDS, | 他说 他一直在用艾滋病来消灭同性恋 |
[35:17] | but with AZT slowing things down, he said: | 但是因为AZT拖慢了进度 他说 【抗艾滋病药物】 |
[35:19] | “Joey, get in there. Give it a stab.” | “Joey 快去 给它一刀” |
[35:23] | Aren’t you gay? | 你不是同性恋吗 |
[35:25] | Yes. | 是的 |
[35:27] | But if I killed myself first, | 但如果我先杀了自己 |
[35:30] | that would sort of limit my tally. | 我就杀不了其他人了 |
[35:42] | The defendant will rise. | 被告请起立 |
[35:47] | The jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团是否已经作出判决 |
[35:50] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[35:51] | Please state your verdict. | 请宣读你们的判决 |
[35:53] | On the matter of United States v. Cruickshank | 合众国诉Cruickshank |
[35:57] | on the charge of interfering with commerce by threats or violence | 以威胁或暴力破坏商业秩序罪 |
[36:00] | pursuant to Title 18,Subsection 1951 | 根据第1951节 第18条 |
[36:04] | we find the defendant,Warren Cruickshank, | 我们判决被告 Warren Cruickshank |
[36:07] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[36:08] | Yes. | 太好了 |
[36:15] | The jury is dismissed.We’re adjourned. | 陪审团可以解散了 休庭 |
[36:28] | Your Honor, given the risk of saying this, | 法官阁下 考虑到说这番话的风险 |
[36:31] | I brought my toothbrush. | 我把牙刷都带上了 |
[36:32] | That jury just brought some integrity back into this room. | 陪审团刚刚帮法庭挽回了一点公正 |
[36:36] | And as an officer of the court | 而我作为一名法律人 |
[36:38] | I would ask that you would let a little of it rub off. | 我恳请你能够坚守这一份公正 |
[36:52] | Do you have the check? | 支票准备好了吗 |
[36:59] | Sit down. | 请坐 |
[37:07] | As I look at you,as one of my law students | 当我看着你 这个我以前的学生 |
[37:13] | I feel that I have failed as a professor. | 我觉得我作为教授很失败 |
[37:16] | The practice of law | 律师执业 |
[37:18] | is more than just getting acquittals or monetary awards. | 不仅仅是帮当事人脱罪或者挣钱 |
[37:23] | It involves respect for the bar, | 还包括对律师职业的尊重 |
[37:25] | dignity in conduct. | 行为的尊严 |
[37:28] | Suing law firms and attorneys personally, | 起诉律师事务所和律师本人 |
[37:31] | as a means of strategy | 以此作为诉讼策略 |
[37:38] | There’s nothing noble in you, Lindsay. | 没有任何高尚可言 Lindsay |
[37:46] | Take your money and get out. | 拿了钱走吧 |
[38:13] | My firm defends murderers,drug dealers | 我的事务所为杀人犯 毒贩辩护 |
[38:15] | on the theory that despite the crime, | 是因为不管犯了什么罪 |
[38:18] | everybody gets his day in court. | 任何人都有接受公正审判的权利 |
[38:20] | But we never, ever facilitate murder, professor. | 但我们从来 从来没有帮助谋杀 教授 |
[38:23] | We never help people to kill. | 我们绝不帮助人们去杀人 |
[38:25] | You’re paid over a million dollars a year | 你们每年收取上百万元的报酬 |
[38:26] | to help a corporation | 去帮助一家公司 |
[38:28] | conceal the truth that they poison people. | 隐瞒他们毒害民众的真相 |
[38:30] | A corporation which aims | 这家公司的目标 |
[38:32] | to get 14-year-olds addicted. | 就是让14岁的少年染上烟瘾 |
[38:33] | A corporation that still,in Third World countries | 在第三世界国家 这家公司甚至仍然 |
[38:36] | doesn’t even print warnings | 不在包装上印上警示 |
[38:37] | because,by law, they don’t have to. | 因为当地法律没有这样的要求 |
[38:39] | Three million people a year die from smoking | 每年有三百万人死于吸烟 |
[38:41] | and you play your part. | 其中有你的功劳 |
[38:43] | Let’s meet up at the end of our days | 我们不妨在临终前 |
[38:45] | and compare legacies. | 比较一下各自的是非功过 |
[39:02] | The court psychiatrist | 法庭指定的心理医生 |
[39:04] | has serious questions about you, | 认为你有严重的问题 |
[39:05] | Mr. Heric. | Heric先生 |
[39:06] | But she has nevertheless found you competent. | 不过 她仍然认为你有行为能力 |
[39:08] | If you choose to represent yourself, | 如果你选择自己辩护 |
[39:10] | this court shouldn’t prevent that. | 本庭不会阻止你 |
[39:12] | Though it is the recommendation that you don’t. | 但是本庭建议你不要这样做 |
[39:14] | It remains your wish to serve as your own counsel? | 你仍然决定由自己来辩护吗 |
[39:18] | -It does. -Very well. | -是的 -那好 |
[39:20] | Mr. Donnell, | Donnell先生 |
[39:21] | court orders you to stay on as counsel, | 本庭要求你继续担任辩护人 |
[39:23] | to assist Mr. Heric | 协助Heric先生 |
[39:25] | should he choose to consult you. | 随时为他提供咨询 |
[39:26] | Your honor, I don’t think that’s… | 法官阁下 我认为… |
[39:27] | I’ve made my ruling. | 我已经作出裁决 |
[39:29] | He can represent himself with you as backup. | 在你的支援下 他可以自己辩护 |
[39:31] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:33] | Well, win or lose, won’t this be fun? | 不管是赢是输 这一切都太有意思了 |
[39:38] | Helen Helen? | |
[39:39] | I’ll need all the inculpatory and exculpatory reports | 我需要所有证明有罪和无罪的材料 |
[39:42] | in my cell by morning. | 明天一早送到我的监室 |
[39:44] | Sooner I get your witness list,the better. | 还有证人名单 越快给我越好 |
[39:45] | It’s my understanding | 据我所知 |
[39:47] | that you occasionally sleep with the opposing counsel. | 你偶尔会跟对方律师上床 |
[39:49] | I will be first-chairing. | 我来担任首席律师 |
[39:52] | Mr. Heric, | Heric先生, |
[39:54] | I’m thrilled you’ve decided to represent yourself. | 我很高兴你决定自己辩护 |
[39:57] | Your little joy ride is over. | 你的悠闲之旅到此为止 |
[40:02] | She’s delicious. | 她真有味道 |
[40:03] | Oh, please, promise me this. | 噢 求你了 请答应我 |
[40:07] | Whatever happens,we all come out as friends. | 无论发生什么事 我们都会成为朋友 |
[40:21] | -Hey, Warren. -Hey, Ellenor. | -嗨 Warren. -嗨 Ellenor. |
[40:25] | I bought you a gift. | 我给你买了份礼物 |
[40:26] | It ain’t much, but… | 并不值钱 但是… |
[40:29] | Well, I just wanted to say | 呃 我只是想说 |
[40:32] | I don’t exactly pay you big fees | 我付不起多高的律师费 |
[40:35] | and we don’t even know each other that good. | 而且我们甚至都算不上很熟的朋友 |
[40:38] | And all my smart-assing. | 我那些自以为是的小滑头 |
[40:42] | I just wanted to say | 我只是想说 |
[40:45] | I never had anybody fight for me | 从来没有人像你一样 |
[40:48] | like you did. | 为我战斗到底 |
[40:50] | And I’ll never forget it. | 我永远都不会忘记 |
[40:57] | Never. | 永远 |
[41:10] | Just when I wondered | 就在我开始迷茫 |
[41:11] | why I put up with it all… | 做这些事情有什么意义的时候… |
[41:17] | The judge stuck me on. | 法官不准我退出 |
[41:18] | I gotta stay on the Joey Heric case. | 我还要继续跟这个Joey Heric的案子 |
[41:20] | Bobby? Bobby? | |
[41:23] | I just want you to know | 我只想告诉你 |
[41:25] | this is the best law firm I know. | 这是我所知的最好的事务所 |
[41:31] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[41:36] | -It’s beautiful. -What is it? | -好漂亮啊 -是什么 |
[41:39] | It’s a handbag. | 手袋 |