时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | Helen, don’t hate me. | Helen 别骂我 |
[00:02] | What? | 怎么了 |
[00:03] | Liz Fernal just got hit with appendicitis. | Liz Fernal得了阑尾炎 |
[00:05] | She’s got a manslaughter. | 她有个非蓄谋杀人的案子 |
[00:07] | – Hit-and-run. – Oh, no, you don’t. | -肇事逃逸 -哦 不是吧 |
[00:09] | We’ve already bought six continuances. | 我们已经申请了六次延期 |
[00:11] | The judge said if we’re not ready, | 法官说如果我们还没准备好 |
[00:12] | he dismisses. | 他就把案子驳了 |
[00:13] | – When? – Tomorrow. | -什么时候 -明天 |
[00:15] | – Virgil… – The file is paper-thin. | -老天… -案卷只有几张纸 |
[00:17] | I’m not starting a murder trial with less than | 不到10个小时就要开庭的谋杀案 |
[00:19] | 10 hours notice. | 我不能接 |
[00:20] | Two witnesses. | 只有两个证人 |
[00:20] | And who takes the heat with the N. G? Me. | 被判无罪的压力谁来承担? 是我 |
[00:23] | There’s no heat on this. I promise. | 这个案子没有压力 我保证 |
[00:25] | The victim’s a John Doe. He’s a homeless guy. | 受害者是个无名氏 一个流浪汉 |
[00:27] | It doesn’t matter if we lose, | 输了也没关系 |
[00:29] | but we can’t just dismiss. | 但是我们不能让法院驳回案件 |
[00:30] | The defendant’s wealthy. It would look bad. | 被告是个有钱人 那样影响不好 |
[00:33] | Just put on a case. It’s a two-day trial. | 你来搞定吧 只要两天时间 |
[00:37] | I took one last flier with the DA, | 我跟检察官谈了最后一次 |
[00:39] | he’ll give us voluntary. | 他可以接受故意杀人 |
[00:41] | Four years, it’s not bad. | 四年 不算太坏 |
[00:42] | That’s manslaughter. | 你说的是非蓄谋杀人罪 |
[00:44] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[00:46] | And you think that’s good? | 你觉得还不错? |
[00:47] | Well, murder two, you get life. | 如果二级谋杀成立 你会被判终生监禁 |
[00:49] | Manslaughter, you could be out in four. | 非蓄谋杀人 你四年之后就可以出来 |
[00:51] | So we should take it? | 你说我们应该接受? |
[00:53] | Look, here’s my problem. | 你瞧 问题在于 |
[00:58] | You say you didn’t mean to kill him, | 你说你不是故意杀他的 |
[00:59] | which may be so. | 也许你说的是实话 |
[01:00] | But in order to get your story in, | 但是为了让你说出事情的经过 |
[01:01] | I gotta put you on the stand. | 我必须让你上庭作证 |
[01:03] | If I do that, | 那样的话 |
[01:04] | that means all your priors come in… | 意味着你所有的前科都会被翻出来 |
[01:05] | …which include two assaults, plus three drug convictions. | 包括两次伤害罪 还有三次毒品犯罪 |
[01:09] | If a jury hears all that, I don’t like our chances. | 如果让陪审团听到这些 我们就危险了 |
[01:12] | – So… – So you think I should take it? | -所以… -所以你觉得我应该接受? |
[01:17] | Tell me again. When you hit him, what…? | 你再说一遍 在你打他的时候 你… |
[01:20] | It was jumping in. | 那是”过关” |
[01:23] | All right, it’s part of the initiation. | 是入伙的程序之一 |
[01:25] | I didn’t mean for nothing bad to happen, man. | 我根本没有想伤害他 |
[01:27] | He’s my friend. | 我们是好朋友 |
[01:30] | Look me in the eye. | 看着我的眼睛 |
[01:35] | It was an accident? | 真的是意外吗 |
[01:37] | I swear. | 我发誓 |
[01:42] | Look me deeper in the eye. | 紧紧地看着我的眼睛 |
[01:51] | Okay. | 好 |
[01:53] | Let’s try it. | 我们上庭吧 |
[02:42] | Right out of nowhere, I seen, I seen it happen. | 突然之间 我看 我看到了 |
[02:45] | It was… | 看到的是… |
[02:46] | He was walking on the side of the street. | 他沿着马路边上走着 |
[02:49] | Not on the sidewalk, | 不在人行道上 |
[02:51] | on the, on the, on the side in the street. | 是在 是在 是在马路的边上 |
[02:54] | Not in the middle but on the side. | 不在路中间 而是在路边上 |
[02:56] | On a highway, they’d call that a shoulder… | 如果是在高速公路上 那地方叫做路肩 |
[02:59] | …but it was a regular street. | 不过那只是一条普通的马路 |
[03:00] | It wasn’t a highway. | 不是高速公路 |
[03:02] | I seen him walking there… | 我看到他在那里走着 |
[03:04] | and this car’s coming along and it | 有辆车开过来 然后… |
[03:11] | The car was coming along and then… | 那辆车开过来 然后… |
[03:18] | Just like flat as a pancake and… | 压得像煎饼一样 然后… |
[03:21] | All right, Bob. Would you excuse us for a minute? | 行了 Bob 你能不能先出去一会 |
[03:24] | Because he’s walking on, on the side of the street. | 因为他正在…正在马路边上走 |
[03:28] | And… | 然后… |
[03:31] | Just wait outside for me, Bob, okay? | Bob 在外面等我 好吗 |
[03:32] | I’ll be out in a minute. | 我一会就出来 |
[03:35] | That’s my eyewitness? | 这就是我的目击证人? |
[03:37] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[03:38] | Oh, I gotta plead this one out. | 哦 我只能和解结案 |
[03:41] | I thought your office said no. | 我听说你的部门不同意 |
[03:42] | Well, I’ll try to get involuntary. | 我试试过失杀人 |
[03:45] | The suspect fled the scene, Helen. | 嫌犯逃离了现场 Helen |
[03:51] | Why me? | 为什么找我 |
[03:53] | Straight “not guilty” on the elements? | 你就直接打无罪? |
[03:55] | There were witnesses. | 他们有目击证人 |
[03:56] | There was no specific intent to kill. | 但是没有明确的杀人意图 |
[03:57] | So go manslaughter. | 那就接受非蓄谋杀人 |
[03:58] | They’ll easily make reckless homicide. | 他们能轻而易举地证明过失杀人 |
[04:00] | I think we got a shot. | 我觉得我们有机会 |
[04:01] | He beat a kid to death. | 他打死了一个孩子 |
[04:02] | It was an initiation. There was no intent to kill. | 那是入伙程序 没有杀人的意图 |
[04:05] | Okay. Rebecca’s lunch is Wednesday. | 好了 Rebecca的午宴是在星期三 |
[04:07] | Everybody’s in? | 大家都要去吧 |
[04:08] | You don’t have to. | 其实用不着 |
[04:09] | What do you mean we don’t have to? | 什么叫用不着 |
[04:10] | This is like the highest dog-lover honor, isn’t it? | 这是发给爱狗人士的最高荣誉 不是吗 |
[04:13] | It’s animal rights, and it’s not a big deal. | 只是动物权利保护而已 没什么大不了 |
[04:15] | Not a big deal. You saved two shelters. | 没什么大不了 你挽救了两个收容中心 |
[04:17] | Hey, we’re all gonna be there. | 嘿 我们大家都会到场的 |
[04:19] | Great, I’m late for a settlement. Anything else? | 很好 我有个会议要迟到了 还有事吗 |
[04:21] | One other thing, actually. | 我还有个事情 |
[04:27] | I’d like some equity in this firm. | 我想要一点事务所的股份 |
[04:34] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[04:36] | If you run the numbers… | 如果你看一下我们的账目 |
[04:37] | …I probably generated half our revenues. | 有一半的收入可能都是我挣的 |
[04:39] | I’ve been getting feelers from headhunters. | 猎头公司一直在跟我联系 |
[04:41] | I really don’t wanna leave. | 我真的不想离开 |
[04:44] | I like it here. | 我喜欢这里 |
[04:47] | But I want some equity. | 但是我想要一些股份 |
[04:53] | What, like partner? | 你是说 当合伙人? |
[04:55] | Not equal. | 份额不必均分 |
[04:57] | But, yes. | 不过 是的 |
[05:03] | The issue is side. | 先不说你的议题本身 |
[05:04] | Don’t you think that’s something you should | 你难道不觉得应该 |
[05:05] | have addressed one-on-one? | 单独跟我谈吗 |
[05:07] | There’s no one-on-one in this firm. | 在我们事务所都不单独谈 |
[05:08] | Everything comes out, I wanted to be up-front. | 我希望所有的事情都拿来公开讨论 |
[05:11] | -Exactly how am I supposed to react? – Bobby. | -你说我该怎么回答你 -Bobby |
[05:12] | That’s an ultimatum, Lindsay, | 你这是最后通牒 Lindsay |
[05:14] | I don’t handle ultimatums well. | 我不喜欢被人下最后通牒 |
[05:16] | I make about a third of what I’m worth. | 我现在赚的钱只有我应得的三分之一 |
[05:18] | And it’s not like I’m not trading in salary for prestige. | 而且我又不是为了职业声誉放弃薪水 |
[05:20] | This place doesn’t leave you with much of a pedigree. | 在这个事务所实在得不到多少职业声誉 |
[05:22] | Oh, I am so sick of you complaining. | 哦 我受够了你的抱怨 |
[05:24] | I didn’t make a complaint in there, | 我在会上并没有抱怨 |
[05:25] | I made a demand. | 我是提出了我的要求 |
[05:27] | There’s a difference. | 两者不一样 |
[05:28] | You wanna go? | 你想辞职吗 |
[05:29] | I wanna stay. | 我想留下 |
[05:31] | And I’m willing to make less, | 而且我也愿意少赚一点 |
[05:32] | but I won’t be an idiot. | 但是我不想被人当成傻瓜 |
[05:45] | Mr. Young? | Young先生 |
[05:47] | I’m Raymond’s mother. | 我是Raymond的妈妈 |
[05:49] | Hello. | 你好 |
[05:50] | You don’t know my boy. | 你并不了解我的儿子 |
[05:52] | You probably don’t like him. | 你可能也不喜欢他 |
[05:56] | Are you gonna save him? | 你可以救救他吗 |
[06:00] | I’m gonna try to keep him out of jail. | 我会尽量不让他进监狱 |
[06:06] | When you arrived at the scene, | 当你到达现场的时候 |
[06:07] | was Mr. Johnson still alive? | Johnson先生是否还活着 |
[06:08] | He still had a pulse, but he was unconscious. | 他还有脉搏 但是已经昏迷了 |
[06:11] | He died en route to the hospital. | 他是在去医院的路上死亡的 |
[06:13] | Did you question Mr. Burnette? | 你有没有询问过Burnette先生 |
[06:14] | – Yes. – What, if anything, did he tell you? | -有 -他跟你说了什么没有 |
[06:17] | He said he’d been in a fight. | 他说他们当时在搏斗 |
[06:19] | He’d hit the victim, | 他打了受害人 |
[06:20] | but he never meant to kill him. | 但是他绝对不是故意杀他 |
[06:23] | How long have you been connected with the Gang Unit? | 你在团伙犯罪部门工作有多久了 |
[06:26] | Going on 15 years. | 将近15年了 |
[06:27] | Would you say that | 是不是可以说 |
[06:28] | that makes you an expert on street gangs? | 你是个街头团伙犯罪方面的专家 |
[06:30] | With regard to this city, yes, I would. | 就这个城市而言 是的 可以这么说 |
[06:33] | Have you ever heard the term, “jumping in”? | 你有没有听过”过关”这个说法 |
[06:36] | Yes. | 有 |
[06:38] | Would you explain it for us, Detective Horne? | 能不能向我们解释一下 Horne警官 |
[06:40] | It’s a gang initiation ritual. | 这是个加入团伙的仪式 |
[06:42] | Different gangs do it differently. | 不同的团伙具体方式不一样 |
[06:44] | This one used playing cards. | 本案当中的团伙用的是扑克牌 |
[06:46] | – Playing cards? – Yes. | -扑克牌? -是的 |
[06:48] | The prospective gang member picks a card. | 申请入伙的成员抽一张扑克牌 |
[06:51] | The number of the card | 以抽到的扑克牌 |
[06:52] | will decide how many existing gang members… | 来决定要撑过多少个正式成员 |
[06:54] | he has to walk through, allowing himself to be punched by. | 承受他们的殴打 |
[06:57] | And to your knowledge, the victim drew a card? | 据你所知 受害人也抽了牌? |
[07:00] | He drew the ace of spades. | 他抽到的是黑桃A |
[07:01] | And did that hold any special significance? | 这张牌有什么特别的意思吗 |
[07:04] | Yes. In this particular gang… | 是的 在这个团伙中 |
[07:06] | …drawing the ace meant the one being initiated… | 抽到A就意味着申请入伙的成员 |
[07:09] | …had to go against the gang member considered to be the toughest. | 要接受团伙中最厉害的人的考验 |
[07:13] | And do you know who that would be? | 你知道这个人是谁吗 |
[07:14] | It was the defendant. | 就是被告 |
[07:16] | So by drawing the ace… | 这么说抽到了A |
[07:18] | …the victim, Mr. Charles Johnson, | 受害者Charles Johnson先生 |
[07:20] | had to fight the defendant? | 必须跟被告搏斗? |
[07:21] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:22] | And to your knowledge, it was in that fight, | 据你所知 就是在这场搏斗中 |
[07:25] | that Mr.Johnson suffered the injury which caused his death? | Johnson先生受了伤并因此死亡? |
[07:27] | – That’s correct. – And, detective… | -是这样的 -警官 |
[07:29] | …when you detained my client | 当你拘捕我的当事人 |
[07:31] | and talked to him… | 并且向他问话的时候 |
[07:33] | …could you describe his demeanor? | 他的举止和态度是怎样的 |
[07:36] | He was crying. | 他一直在哭 |
[07:38] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[07:42] | It was an ambush, Lindsay. | 你这是突然袭击 Lindsay |
[07:43] | Why? | 为什么 |
[07:44] | To just spring it at a staff meeting like that. | 你就那样在全所例会上突然提出来 |
[07:49] | Eugene told me that you know. | Eugene告诉我你已经知道了 |
[07:51] | Know what? | 知道什么 |
[07:53] | That Bobby and I used to sleep together. | 我跟Bobby曾经上过床 |
[07:55] | There. It’s been said. | 既然这样 |
[07:57] | Now, suppose I went to Bobby privately | 假如我私下去找Bobby |
[08:00] | and made my request. | 提出我的要求 |
[08:01] | Suppose he granted it. | 假如他同意了 |
[08:02] | Then suppose it got out that | 又假如人们知道了 |
[08:04] | he use to suck my elbows through the nights. | 他喜欢舔我的胳膊肘 |
[08:05] | I mean, there’d be a mutiny. | 马上会闹得天翻地覆 |
[08:07] | This way, out in the open… | 我用这种方式公开地提出来 |
[08:08] | …Bobby doesn’t get accused of special favors, does he? | 就没有人可以指责Bobby偏心 是吧 |
[08:12] | It’s better for everybody I did it this way. | 这种方式对大家来说都好 |
[08:27] | What? What’s wrong? | 怎么了 怎么回事 |
[08:28] | – There was a rat! – Where? | -有老鼠 -哪里 |
[08:30] | There it goes! | 在那边 |
[08:32] | Oh, my God! Where’d it go? | 哦 天哪 跑到哪里去了 |
[08:34] | It’s right there! | 在这里 |
[08:35] | Where’d it go? | 跑到哪里去了 |
[08:36] | There it is! There it is! | 那里 那里 |
[08:38] | It was one of them big Mercedes, tinted windows. | 是那种大奔驰 有彩色的玻璃 |
[08:43] | We see a car like that come around that time of night… | 那天晚上我们看到一辆这样的车开过来 |
[08:46] | …we think they’re trolling for | 我们以为他们是来找 |
[08:47] | pretty-smelling hookers. | 那些花枝招展的妓女 |
[08:49] | – Yes. – Itty-bitty little hooker girls. | -是的 -那些瘦弱的小妓女 |
[08:52] | What they do… | 他们干什么呢 |
[08:53] | See, what they do is they climb into the back… | 瞧 她们爬进车里 |
[08:55] | …big back seat, you know, | 爬进宽大的后座 然后 |
[08:56] | the car starts shaking also, like: | 车子就开始摇晃 就像… |
[09:00] | – Itty-bitty little hooker girls. – Mr. Show… | -瘦弱的小妓女 -Show先生 |
[09:02] | …l’d like to just stay focused on the actual events of that night. | 你只说那天晚上的事情经过就行了 |
[09:06] | Some of them girls are really men… | 有些女孩子其实是… |
[09:07] | Mr. Show, just the accident. | Show先生 只说事故 |
[09:11] | Could you describe it, please? | 能不能向我们描述一下事故经过 |
[09:14] | I seen a guy walking near the side of the road. | 我看到有个人在马路边上走着 |
[09:17] | Now, the big car, Mercedes, comes along… hits him. | 那辆大车 奔驰车 开过来 撞上他 |
[09:23] | How far away were you? | 你当时离得多远 |
[09:25] | Ten feet. | 10英尺 |
[09:28] | Then it just speeds off. | 然后它就加速开走了 |
[09:29] | It just never stopped. Just sped away. | 停都没有停 直接就开走了 |
[09:32] | Did you get the license plate number of this car? | 你有没有看到车牌号码 |
[09:34] | TD. Just TD. | TD 我只看到TD两个字母 |
[09:35] | That’s the first letters. It’s like touchdown. | 是前面两位 可能是Touchdown的意思 |
[09:38] | Had you ever seen the victim before? | 你以前见过受害者吗 |
[09:39] | No. | 没有 |
[09:41] | He’s a homeless man. | 他是个无家可归的人 |
[09:44] | Just a big, big bum. | 是个可怜的流浪汉 |
[09:47] | A bigger bum than me. | 比我还要可怜 |
[09:51] | Were you drinking that night, Mr. Show? | 你那晚喝酒没有 Show先生 |
[09:53] | Yes, I was. | 有 我喝了 |
[09:54] | But I saw what I saw. | 但是我看得很清楚 |
[09:56] | That car hit him. It never stopped. | 是那辆车撞了他 没有停车 |
[09:58] | – Objection. Non-responsive. – Sustained. | -反对 答非所问 -反对有效 |
[10:01] | Just answer the question asked, sir. | 请针对问题回答 先生 |
[10:03] | We both saw it. | 我们俩都看到了 |
[10:04] | Both? | 你们俩? |
[10:06] | Somebody else was with you? | 你跟其他人在一起吗 |
[10:07] | Yeah. So there you go. | 是 你说对了 |
[10:10] | Who else witnessed this accident? | 还有谁看到了这场事故 |
[10:12] | Mr. Penis. | 阴茎先生 |
[10:13] | His big pink eye was looking right at it. | 他那大大的 粉红的眼睛正对着它 |
[10:16] | Saw the whole damn thing. | 看到了整个的经过 |
[10:18] | So both of you saw it. | 这么说 你们俩都看到了 |
[10:20] | Me and the Cyclops. | 我和独眼巨人 |
[10:34] | There is a rat running around. | 地上有只老鼠 |
[10:36] | In here? | 在这里? |
[10:37] | No, in Washington. | 不 在华盛顿 |
[10:38] | That’s why we’re all on our desks, Big Head. | 所以我们全都爬到桌子上 大头鬼 |
[10:40] | Don’t you be rude with me, Rebecca. | 不要这么侮辱我 Rebecca |
[10:42] | Just get the rat. | 快把它逮住 |
[10:44] | All right. | 没问题 |
[10:50] | Where is it? | 在哪里 |
[10:50] | We think it’s under my desk. | 我们觉得是在我桌子底下 |
[11:06] | Oh, my God, there it is! There it is! | 哦 天哪 出来了 出来了 |
[11:08] | – Where? – He’s the size of a beaver! | -哪里 -有海狸那么大 |
[11:13] | – You have a gun? – A starter pistol. | -你有枪? -发令枪 |
[11:15] | What are you gonna do? Race him? | 你要干什么 让它跑一百米? |
[11:16] | I’m gonna scare it. | 我要吓唬它 |
[11:17] | That’s not gonna scare it. | 这样吓不倒它 |
[11:18] | Then you do something, Big Head! | 那你想点办法 大头鬼 |
[11:20] | It’s normal size! | 我的头不大 |
[11:23] | What gang was your son trying to join, | 你儿子想要加入的是什么团伙 |
[11:25] | Mrs. Johnson? | Johnson太太 |
[11:27] | The one he was in. | 就是被告所在的那个团伙 |
[11:29] | They call themselves the Bangers. | 他们自称”重拳手” |
[11:31] | Your son had a relationship with the defendant? | 你儿子跟被告本来就认识? |
[11:34] | Going back five years, to when he was 11. | 认识五年了 那时候我儿子11岁 |
[11:38] | When he started selling drugs for him. | 被告找他帮他贩卖毒品 |
[11:40] | Charlie started selling drugs for the defendant? | Charlie帮被告贩卖毒品? |
[11:43] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:44] | When he was 11 years old? | 在他11岁的时候? |
[11:47] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:48] | Did you know about this at the time? | 你当时知道吗 |
[11:50] | Yes. | 知道 |
[11:52] | I did everything I could, | 我用尽了一切办法 |
[11:54] | but Charlie looked up to him. | 但是Charlie很崇拜他 |
[11:57] | Wanted to be like him. | 以他为榜样 |
[12:00] | Instead, he was killed by him. | 结果 到头来却被他杀了 |
[12:05] | You talked about trying to steer your son | 你说曾试图阻止你儿子 |
[12:08] | away from gangs. | 跟犯罪团伙来往 |
[12:09] | – He didn’t have a father, did he? – No. | -他父亲不在了 是吧 -是的 |
[12:12] | And you work at a gas station as an attendant… | 你在加油站当服务员 |
[12:16] | …and your hours are from 3 p.m. To midnight? | 工作时间是从下午三点到半夜? |
[12:20] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:23] | Mrs. Johnson… | Johnson太太 |
[12:25] | …how often did you see Charles during any given week? | 你每周跟Charles能见几次面 |
[12:29] | I know… | 我知道 |
[12:31] | …that I couldn’t be there for him | 虽然我很想多点时间陪他 |
[12:32] | as much as I wanted. | 可是我没办法 |
[12:34] | I understand that. | 我理解 |
[12:35] | Mrs. Johnson, | Johnson太太 |
[12:36] | was there anybody who looked out for your son? | 还有没有其他人照顾你的儿子 |
[12:39] | Well, if you call getting him | 如果把让他贩卖毒品 |
[12:40] | to sell drugs looking out for him. | 也算做照顾他的话 |
[12:42] | On the Columbus block where you live, | 在你居住的Columbus社区 |
[12:44] | what percentage of boys | 男孩子当中有多大比例 |
[12:45] | ended up joining gangs? | 最后会加入团伙 |
[12:46] | – Most. – Most. | -大多数 -大多数 |
[12:49] | And you testified that your son looked up to my client. | 你说你儿子崇拜我的当事人 |
[12:52] | In fact, you often thought that my client helped keep… | 实际上 你常常觉得是我的当事人 |
[12:55] | …your son alive, didn’t you? | 保住了你儿子的性命 是吗 |
[12:57] | Did I often appreciate him looking out for my boy? | 我是不是常常感谢他照顾我儿子? |
[13:01] | Yes. And I know they was friends. | 是的 我知道他们是好朋友 |
[13:05] | But he got him involved in drugs, | 但是他把我儿子带进毒品圈 |
[13:08] | he got him into gang business. | 带进团伙犯罪 |
[13:10] | And with his own hands, he killed him. | 而且还亲手杀了他 |
[13:12] | So don’t you dare be saying | 所以千万不要说 |
[13:13] | I should be sitting here… | 我应该充满感激地坐在这里 |
[13:17] | …looking at him, grateful. | 充满感激地看着他 |
[13:32] | Yeah, I’m putting up the detective. | 是 我下一步会传唤警官 |
[13:34] | I should only do about 10 minutes though. | 不过我估计只会问10分钟 |
[13:36] | – I just need… – Wash your windows, ma’am? | -我只是要… -洗车吗 夫人 |
[13:40] | Well, we should rest by the end of the day. | 呃 我今天就可以结束举证 |
[13:43] | Okay. Bye. | 好的 再见 |
[13:48] | Oh, great. | 哦 棒极了 |
[13:52] | Well, hey, Bobby. How’s it going? | 嘿 Bobby 怎么样 |
[13:54] | “How’s it going?” | 什么怎么样 |
[13:55] | Oh, there it is! There it is! | 哦 出来了 出来了 |
[13:59] | What in God’s name…? | 你们这是在搞什么飞机? |
[14:00] | I think I got him. | 我抓到它了 |
[14:01] | Got who? What? | 抓到谁了 怎么回事 |
[14:02] | This law firm has rats! What a surprise. | 事务所里有老鼠 好惊喜啊 |
[14:04] | You know what, Lindsay… | 你知道 Lindsay… |
[14:06] | Where is it? | 在哪里 |
[14:06] | It’s in the corner, right there. | 在角落里 就在那里 |
[14:10] | Nothing’s moving. | 又不见了 |
[14:12] | I think I got him. | 我逮到它了 |
[14:22] | Yes! | 搞定 |
[14:26] | That is one dead rat. | 变成死老鼠了 |
[14:33] | I just don’t like the feel of it. | 我感觉不太对 |
[14:36] | I thought we had a shot, | 我觉得我们有机会 |
[14:37] | but now my gut says take the manslaughter. | 但是现在直觉告诉我接受非蓄谋杀人 |
[14:39] | But even the doctors say | 即便医生作证 |
[14:40] | it was a fluke the way the boy died. | 那孩子的死是个意外 |
[14:43] | Mrs. Burnette, he died from getting punched in the head. | Burnette太太 他死于头部受重击 |
[14:46] | Now, if Raymond didn’t have a record, | 如果Raymond没有前科 |
[14:48] | I’d say, “Let’s roll the dice.” | 我会说 我们赌一把 |
[14:50] | But now, I say, | 但现在 我只能说 |
[14:51] | “Let’s take the manslaughter.” | 我们认下非蓄谋杀人罪 |
[14:54] | How long will he have to go to jail for that? | 这样他要入狱多长时间 |
[14:57] | With his priors, you’re looking at six. | 考虑到他的前科 应该是六年 |
[15:02] | I’d be hoping for four. | 我争取减到四年 |
[15:08] | What do you mean, no? | 不行? 你什么意思 |
[15:10] | I want him for murder two. | 我要定二级谋杀 |
[15:11] | Come on, Curtis. | 得了吧 Curtis |
[15:12] | Yesterday, you offered manslaughter. | 昨天主动提出非蓄谋杀人 |
[15:14] | That was yesterday. | 那是昨天的事 |
[15:15] | So, what’s changed? | 发生了什么变化 |
[15:17] | What’s changed is I was looking at that boy’s mother | 变化是 我看到那孩子的母亲 |
[15:19] | on the stand and I just got sick of it. | 站在证人席上 我就是很厌恶 |
[15:20] | I’m sick of hearing, | 我厌恶听到 |
[15:21] | “Didn’t mean it” from the gangs. | 团伙分子说出”不是故意的” |
[15:23] | – It’s time they started taking… – Come on, Curtis… | -是时候让他们… -得了吧 Curtis |
[15:25] | Now I took offense at you. | 现在我觉得你也冒犯了我 |
[15:26] | I didn’t like what I heard from you. | 我不喜欢你的那套说辞 |
[15:27] | Which was? | 你指的是? |
[15:29] | Which was these kids got nowhere else to turn but gangs. | 你说这些孩子除了加入团伙之外 |
[15:31] | Nobody there for them but gangs. | 别无出路 |
[15:33] | You don’t think there’s truth in it? | 你不觉得事实就是这样吗 |
[15:34] | It’s not an excuse. | 这不是借口 |
[15:36] | Now, look, I was raised by a single parent. | 你想想 我也是单亲家庭的孩子 |
[15:39] | I lived in those neighborhoods | 我也在那样的社区长大 |
[15:40] | and I got out, Eugene. | 可是我走出来了 |
[15:42] | Kids do make other choices. | 孩子们可以选择自己的路 |
[15:43] | So you got out. I’m happy for you. | 你是走出来了 恭喜你 |
[15:45] | That doesn’t mean my guy | 但并不意味着我的当事人 |
[15:46] | should get murder two. | 就该被判二级谋杀 |
[15:46] | A kid is dead because of your guy. | 有个孩子死于你的当事人之手 |
[15:48] | Try the case, Curtis. | 专心办你的案子 Curtis |
[15:49] | I am trying my case. | 我是在办我的案子 |
[15:53] | Now, you try yours. | 你也好好办你的案子 |
[15:59] | Maybe I should just tell her to walk. | 也许我应该让她走人 |
[16:01] | We can’t let her walk. | 我们不能让她走人 |
[16:02] | Rebecca, I’m not about to let her extort me… | Rebecca 我不能让她这样勒索我 |
[16:05] | You say “me” as if | 你说”我” 好像 |
[16:06] | you’re the only one involved. | 整件事情只跟你一个人有关 |
[16:07] | – This is my firm. – Listen to me. | -这是我的事务所 -听我说 |
[16:09] | This firm’s not just you and me anymore. | 这个事务所已经不只有你和我了 |
[16:11] | There’s Eugene, Jimmy… | 还有Eugene Jimmy |
[16:12] | They’re not behind what she’s doing. | 可是他们没有跟她搅在一起 |
[16:14] | They don’t know the numbers. If they did, | 因为他们没有看过账目 不然的话 |
[16:15] | they might say “Give her some equity.” | 他们可能也会说 “分点股份给她” |
[16:17] | If I do, | 如果给了她 |
[16:17] | what’s to stop Eugene from wanting a piece, and Ellenor? | 那Eugene也要怎么办 还有Ellenor |
[16:19] | Maybe it’s time for you to deal with that. | 也许你是该考虑这个问题了 |
[16:22] | – I don’t have to. – Oh, yes, you do. | -我用不着 -不 你必须考虑 |
[16:25] | Bobby, this is a firm now. | Bobby 事务所是一个整体 |
[16:26] | You have people committing to it. | 这些人都在为它做出贡献 |
[16:28] | Committing to a promise made by you | 你承诺要让事务所有大发展 |
[16:30] | to build this place into something. | 他们都在出力 |
[16:31] | I won’t have a gun put to my head. | 我不喜欢被人逼到绝境 |
[16:35] | You know what? Sometimes I think… | 你知道吗 有时候我觉得 |
[16:37] | …you like putting a gun to your own head. | 你就喜欢自己把自己逼到绝境 |
[16:47] | Excuse me? | 打扰了 |
[16:49] | Mr. Show. | Show先生 |
[16:51] | I know I got kind of digressed up there on the stand. I’m sorry. | 我知道我在庭上有点过于扯淡 对不起 |
[16:55] | I got… I got nervous and I was thinking… | 我有点…我有点紧张 我想 |
[16:59] | …if you put me up there again, | 如果你再传唤我一次 |
[17:01] | I could be more vivid. | 我可以说得更清楚 |
[17:04] | I think we accomplished what we needed to accomplish, | 我觉得我们已经达到了作证的目的 |
[17:07] | but thank you. | 不过还是谢谢 |
[17:08] | Because I left some things out. | 有些事情我忘了说 |
[17:10] | He just peeled away, and a big screech. | 他开走的时候 车子发出尖锐的叫声 |
[17:13] | You know, for effect I could describe that. | 为了制造效果 我可以描述出来 |
[17:16] | Now I wouldn’t have to mention Mr. Pinky. | 我这次不会再提”粉红先生”了 |
[17:19] | Mr. Show, I know you’d like to testify again… | Show先生 我知道你还想再作证一次 |
[17:21] | …and collect another witness fee… | 因为你想再收一笔证人费 |
[17:25] | …but I don’t think I’m gonna recall you. | 但是我不会再传唤你了 |
[17:27] | Oh, well, okay, then. | 哦 呃 好吧 那么 |
[17:30] | If you need me then, | 如果你还需要我 |
[17:31] | you know where I am. | 你知道在哪里可以找到我 |
[17:33] | Okay. | 好的 |
[17:36] | And I think you’re a nice lady too. | 我觉得你真是个好人 |
[17:40] | I would be remiss if I weren’t to say that. | 我是发自肺腑地这么觉得 |
[17:43] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[17:44] | Who was that? | 那是谁啊 |
[17:48] | Homeless guy wanting to collect another witness fee. | 想再得一笔证人费的流浪汉 |
[17:52] | My stupid hit-and-run case. | 我那个该死的肇事逃逸案子 |
[17:56] | I’m gonna miss Rebecca’s luncheon. | 我去不了Rebecca的午宴了 |
[17:58] | Oh, God, I need you there. | 哦 老天 我需要你陪着我 |
[17:59] | I won’t have anybody to talk to. | 我找不到人可以说话了 |
[18:01] | It didn’t go well? | 情况不妙? |
[18:02] | Oh, no. | 是啊 |
[18:06] | We need for you to describe how this happened, Raymond. | 请你陈述一下事情的经过 Raymond |
[18:09] | Well, like I said, Charlie drew the ace. | 就像我说的那样 Charlie抽到了A |
[18:13] | And the ace means that he has to go… | 那表示他必须经受最厉害的人 |
[18:15] | …with the toughest guy for 60 seconds. | 殴打60秒 |
[18:17] | And that was you? | 最厉害的人就是你? |
[18:18] | I didn’t say that. But… | 我没这么说 不过 |
[18:19] | It was kind of like a vote? | 是大家投票决定? |
[18:21] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[18:23] | But, Raymond, Charlie Johnson was your boy, | 可是 Charlie Johnson是你的人啊 |
[18:25] | your friend. | 他是你的朋友 |
[18:27] | You’re the one who invited him in? Yes? | 是你邀请他入伙的 对吧 |
[18:28] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[18:29] | Come on. Couldn’t you take it a little easy on him? | 难道 你就不能对他手下留情一点 |
[18:31] | I mean, he wasn’t allowed to fight back. | 毕竟他又不准还手 |
[18:33] | This is your friend. | 他是你的朋友啊 |
[18:34] | I had to hit him some. | 我必须来点真格的 |
[18:36] | If I didn’t, they wouldn’t have let him in. | 不然的话 他们不会让他通过 |
[18:38] | It had to be a real initiation, man. | 他必须通过真正的入伙程序 老兄 |
[18:41] | So you did hit him pretty hard? | 所以你重重地给了他几下子? |
[18:43] | I was mostly jabbing. | 我大部分时候是在做样子 |
[18:45] | But like I said, he couldn’t hit back. | 但是正如我说的 他不能还手 |
[18:48] | It had to go for 60 seconds. | 他必须挺住60秒 |
[18:51] | I was punching him mainly on the shoulders and the back, | 我主要往他肩膀上和背上打 |
[18:54] | because I knew that wouldn’t do much. | 因为我知道这样伤害不大 |
[18:56] | But I had to hit him in the head some. | 但是我不得不给他脑袋也来几下 |
[19:00] | – And then… – Then what? | -然后… -然后怎么了 |
[19:04] | I was swinging a right to his head, | 我对着他的脑袋打出一记右勾拳 |
[19:09] | and he kind of swerved. | 他躲了一下 |
[19:12] | I hit him right in the throat. | 结果我正打在他的喉咙上 |
[19:14] | And he grabbed himself, then he went down. | 然后他抓着自己的脖子 倒在地上 |
[19:18] | And I could tell he couldn’t breathe… | 我看出来他没办法呼吸 |
[19:20] | …so I stopped and I tried to help him. | 于是我停下手去帮他 |
[19:23] | I thought maybe he swallowed his tongue. | 我以为他也许把舌头吞进去了 |
[19:26] | Man, I put my fingers in his mouth… | 老兄 我伸手去掏他的嘴巴 |
[19:31] | But he couldn’t get air. | 但他还是不能呼吸 |
[19:34] | He couldn’t get air. | 他不能呼吸 |
[19:36] | And then he was twitching on the ground, man. | 然后他就在地上全身抽搐 老兄 |
[19:44] | He couldn’t get air. | 他不能呼吸 |
[19:48] | Then the paramedics came | 然后急救人员赶到 |
[19:50] | and they said something about his windpipe, | 说他的气管怎么怎么 |
[19:51] | that I crushed something in his throat. | 说我打坏了他喉咙里面的什么东西 |
[19:59] | And then they took him away. | 然后他们就把他带走了 |
[20:07] | He was dead. | 他死掉了 |
[20:12] | He was dead. | 他死掉了 |
[20:17] | You hit him hard, didn’t you? Raymond? | 你打得很重 是吧 Raymond |
[20:19] | If I hadn’t, | 如果我打得太轻 |
[20:20] | he wouldn’t be let in the gang. | 他们就不会让他入伙 |
[20:22] | The gang that you talked him into joining. | 也就是你想让他加入的这个团伙 |
[20:24] | The gang you got him to sell drugs for… | 是你在他11岁的时候让 |
[20:27] | …when he was 11. The gang… | 帮着卖毒品的团伙 还是… |
[20:28] | – Objection. – Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[20:37] | – Who is this, Raymond? – Objection. | -这是谁 Raymond -反对 |
[20:40] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[20:41] | Who is this? | 这是谁 |
[20:43] | Charlie Charlie. | |
[20:45] | That’s Charlie, | 这是Charlie |
[20:46] | after you killed him, isn’t it? | 在他被你打死之后的样子 是吗 |
[20:47] | Objection! He’s grandstanding… | 反对 他在耍把戏.. |
[20:49] | What’s the matter, you don’t want the jury to see the victim? | 怎么 你不想让陪审团看到受害人? |
[20:52] | The objection is overruled. | 反对无效 |
[20:55] | How’d he get these bruises on his face, Raymond? | 他脸上这些瘀伤是怎么来的 Raymond |
[20:59] | I had to hit him some. | 我不得不来点真格的 |
[21:02] | You had to hit him some. | 你不得不来点真格的 |
[21:13] | It isn’t just about money. | 不光是钱的问题 |
[21:14] | Then what is it? | 那是什么问题 |
[21:16] | It’s about some direction. About the firm… | 是发展方向的问题 关于事务所… |
[21:18] | How many times will we play this record? | 不要每次都拿这个来说事 |
[21:20] | – “The firm needs direction.” – Do you wanna let me talk or not? | -“事务所需要发展方向” -你到底让不让我说话 |
[21:27] | Bobby, let her speak. | Bobby 让她说 |
[21:31] | The economy is way up… | 整体经济形势非常好 |
[21:32] | …the business of law is way up in Boston. | 波士顿的法律行业发展也非常好 |
[21:34] | We are good lawyers. | 我们都是优秀的律师 |
[21:36] | And this place is still scratching. | 可是这家事务所还在艰难地挣扎 |
[21:38] | Why? Management. | 为什么 管理 |
[21:39] | It doesn’t have any. | 这里根本就没有管理 |
[21:40] | And you think you can do it better? | 你觉得你能管理得更好? |
[21:42] | Do I think I could do it better? | 我觉得我能管理得更好? |
[21:42] | I think he could do it better. | 我觉得他都能管理得更好 |
[21:43] | You don’t start coming at me… | 我哪里惹到你了 |
[21:47] | Quiet! For God’s sake. | 闭嘴 看在老天份上 |
[21:49] | Go shoot a rat, Ellenor. | 射你的老鼠去 Ellenor |
[21:50] | If you don’t seem to get along with anybody in here… | 如果你跟谁都处不来… |
[21:54] | All right! | 别吵了 |
[21:57] | Look. May I say something? Then I’ll shut up. | 我可以说句话吗 说完我就闭嘴 |
[22:00] | I’ll make it quick. | 就一句话 |
[22:01] | Go ahead. | 说吧 |
[22:03] | Are you two, like, sleeping together? | 你们俩 是不是有一腿 |
[22:06] | Nice, Rebecca. | 很好 Rebecca |
[22:08] | I didn’t tell! | 不是我说的 |
[22:09] | So it’s true? | 这么说是真的了? |
[22:10] | Great. You were sleeping with the boss. | 厉害 你跟老板上床 |
[22:13] | That’s really great, Lindsay. | 你真是厉害 Lindsay |
[22:16] | Next time, sleep with the whole firm. | 下次跟全所的人都上床好了 |
[22:18] | – Get her out of here. – I’ll wait for the boss. | -让她滚出去 -我要等老板 |
[22:20] | I thought you were my boss. | 我还以为你是老板呢 |
[22:23] | Great. Sleep with the boss. Try to negotiate. | 好极了 跟老板上床 然后来谈条件 |
[22:25] | It’s not about that. | 不是这么回事 |
[22:26] | Oh, yeah, it is. | 哦 是的 就是这么回事 |
[22:28] | He jumped out. | 他突然冲出来 |
[22:29] | I thought I hit him. I heard a thump. | 我觉得撞到他了 我听到砰的一声 |
[22:32] | But I looked around and I didn’t see anything. | 但是我看了一圈 没有看到任何人 |
[22:36] | So I drove off. | 于是我就开走了 |
[22:38] | Well, Mr. Feldman, why didn’t you stop? | Feldman先生 你为什么不停车呢 |
[22:40] | Well, I did stop. I looked around. | 我停了的 我还往四周看了看 |
[22:43] | You didn’t get out of your car? | 你没有下车? |
[22:44] | – No, I didn’t. – Why not? | -是的 没有 -为什么没有 |
[22:47] | I suppose I was afraid to. | 因为我很害怕 |
[22:48] | I was in a very bad area driving a Mercedes. | 我当时在一个非常乱的地方 开着奔驰 |
[22:52] | I didn’t really wanna get out. | 我真的不敢下车 |
[22:54] | But you struck a man. | 但是你撞到人了 |
[22:55] | Yes, but I thought he’d run off. | 是的 可是我以为他跑走了 |
[22:57] | Plus, I wasn’t sure it wasn’t staged. | 而且 我也拿不准这是不是圈套 |
[23:00] | Staged? | 圈套? |
[23:01] | I thought he made it seem like I hit him… | 我觉得他故意让我以为撞了他 |
[23:04] | …so I would stop, get out, only to be mugged. | 让我停下来下车 好抢劫我 |
[23:06] | Like I said, I was in an awful neighborhood. | 我说过 我当时在一个非常乱的地方 |
[23:09] | I was afraid. | 我很怕 |
[23:10] | Don’t you think you should’ve at least checked? | 你不觉得至少应该检查一下吗 |
[23:12] | You hear a thump, you think you hit somebody… | 你听到砰的一声 你以为撞到人了 |
[23:16] | I did check. I looked around. | 我检查了 我往四周看了看 |
[23:17] | You stayed in your car. | 你坐在车里看的 |
[23:19] | If a man were prone on the ground, | 如果有人躺在地上 |
[23:21] | how would you see him from your car? | 你在车上怎么看得到 |
[23:24] | Especially at night. | 何况还是在晚上 |
[23:25] | In retrospect, I probably should have gotten out. | 回过头来想 我可能是应该下车来 |
[23:29] | But like I said, I was afraid. | 但是我说了 我当时很害怕 |
[23:31] | But you didn’t even call the police. | 可是你甚至都没有报警 |
[23:34] | Well, I probably should have. | 呃 我也许是应该报警 |
[23:36] | Why didn’t you? | 为什么没报 |
[23:37] | Because I thought it was just a robbery attempt. | 因为我以为是拦路抢劫的 |
[23:39] | Since I hadn’t been victimized… | 既然我没事 |
[23:41] | …I didn’t figure the police to do anything. | 我就不想麻烦警察了 |
[23:44] | So you didn’t even call them. | 所以你根本没有打报警电话 |
[23:46] | You had a car phone? | 你有车载电话? |
[23:47] | Look, I was scared. | 瞧 我当时真的很怕 |
[23:50] | I didn’t think I hurt anybody. | 我以为我没有伤到任何人 |
[23:52] | The only thing going through my mind was, | 我当时脑子里唯一的想法是 |
[23:54] | “Get the hell out of there.” | “快离开这鬼地方” |
[23:57] | Why didn’t you notify the insurance company? | 你为什么没有向保险公司报险 |
[24:00] | Your car was damaged. | 你的车也受损了 |
[24:01] | Well, l… I was going to. | 呃 我…我准备报险的 |
[24:04] | You were going to. | 你准备报险 |
[24:12] | It’s okay to punch people in the head… | 你可以狠击别人的脑袋 |
[24:16] | …so long as we call it initiation. | 只要把它叫做”入会” |
[24:20] | Now, some gangs require that you go out and cap somebody… | 现在 有些帮派要求在你入会之前 |
[24:24] | …before you get into the club. | 必须出去杀个人 |
[24:27] | I don’t know about you… | 我不知道你们怎么想 |
[24:29] | …but I’ve had enough. | 我是不堪容忍了 |
[24:31] | For all his remorse, ladies and gentlemen… | 女士们先生们 不管他表现得多么懊悔 |
[24:35] | …there sits a gang member | 坐在这里的是一个帮派分子 |
[24:36] | three times convicted on drug offenses. | 他有三次毒品犯罪前科 |
[24:39] | Twice on prior assaults. | 两次伤害罪前科 |
[24:42] | And this is the man who lured the victim into drugs… | 就是他引诱受害人贩卖毒品 |
[24:46] | …into gang life… | 诱使他加入帮派 |
[24:48] | …and this is the man who killed the victim with his fists. | 是他用拳头杀死了受害人 |
[24:52] | What are we supposed to do here? | 我们该怎么办 |
[24:54] | Have a group cry for these poor kids | 让人们为这些被社会遗弃的 |
[24:56] | disenfranchised by society? | 可怜的孩子们哭泣? |
[25:00] | Gangs are the only community they know. | 帮派就是他们唯一知道的社会 |
[25:05] | Their fathers leave, their mothers work. | 他们的父亲跑了 他们的母亲要上班 |
[25:08] | Society just isn’t there for them. | 社会没有照顾好他们 |
[25:10] | So it’s okay to punch. | 所以他们可以打人 |
[25:12] | To initiate. | 可以加入帮派 |
[25:14] | To fire a random shot on a drive-by. | 可以开着车随意对路人开枪 |
[25:17] | These are poor unfortunate victims. | 这些人是可怜的 不幸的受害者 |
[25:20] | I don’t buy it. | 我不吃这一套 |
[25:22] | You wanna work on community outreach programs? Great. | 你想参加社会扶贫计划? 很好 |
[25:25] | Where can I sign up to help? But first… | 我们一起来帮助他们 但是首先 |
[25:28] | First, ladies and gentlemen, | 首先 女士们先生们 |
[25:30] | we must attack gang violence head-on. | 我们必须对帮派暴力犯罪迎头痛击 |
[25:33] | If you kill, you go to jail, | 如果你杀了人 你就得进监狱 |
[25:36] | damn it. | 就这么简单 |
[25:36] | Don’t tell me you had a lousy home life. | 不要跟我说你的家庭生活很悲惨 |
[25:38] | Don’t tell me your dad was a drunk. | 不要跟我说你父亲是个酒鬼 |
[25:40] | If you sell drugs… | 如果你贩卖毒品 |
[25:42] | …if you recruit people into gangs, if you kill… | 如果你引诱人们加入帮派 如果你杀人 |
[25:45] | …you go to jail, damn it. | 你就得进监狱 就这么简单 |
[25:48] | You go to jail. | 你得进监狱 |
[26:04] | I have a 10-year-old boy. | 我有个10岁的儿子 |
[26:07] | My greatest fear is that somebody like him… | 我最大的担心就是 某个像他那样的人 |
[26:10] | …might come along and convince my son: | 跑来向我儿子灌输这样的观念 |
[26:12] | “Hey, you’re nothing without the colors.” | “加入帮派吧 不然你一无是处” |
[26:14] | I hate gangs as much as he does. | 我像他一样痛恨帮派 |
[26:18] | But this trial isn’t about | 但是这场审判不是要 |
[26:20] | putting an end to gangs or gang violence. | 终结帮派或帮派犯罪 |
[26:22] | All this trial is about… | 这个案子要审理的是 |
[26:24] | All this trial is about… | 这个案子要审理的是 |
[26:26] | …is whether this man intended to kill Charles Johnson… | 被告是否故意杀害了Charles Johnson |
[26:30] | …or was he so reckless… | 以及他是否过于疏忽大意 |
[26:31] | …that he should have known | 以至于没有意识到 |
[26:32] | he put the victim at extreme risk? | 置受害人于极端危险之境地? |
[26:34] | He didn’t. | 答案是否定的 |
[26:35] | You heard the doctors, crushed windpipe. | 你们听到医生的证言 气管被打碎 |
[26:38] | Now, was it foreseeable that Raymond, with one punch… | Raymond是否能够预见到仅仅一拳 |
[26:40] | …was going to kill his friend? | 就把自己的朋友打死了? |
[26:42] | Of course not. Did he want to kill him? | 当然不能 他是否有意要杀他 |
[26:44] | You know he didn’t. He wasn’t even trying to hurt him. | 你们都知道不是 他甚至都不想伤害他 |
[26:46] | You know that and so does the prosecution. | 你们都清楚 检方也清楚 |
[26:49] | That’s why when he got here… | 所以当他站在这里的时候 |
[26:50] | …he didn’t go after Raymond | 与其说他在指控Raymond |
[26:51] | as much as he went after the gangs. | 倒不如说他在指控帮派 |
[26:54] | He said, “Let’s stop these gangs. | 他说 “让我们终结这些帮派 |
[26:57] | The gangs are the culprits.” | 帮派就是罪犯” |
[26:58] | And maybe he’s right. | 也许他是对的 |
[27:02] | But this isn’t a forum to cure the ills of society. | 但是法庭不是治疗社会疾病的地方 |
[27:05] | This is about one death, | 在这里 只考虑这一桩死亡 |
[27:07] | one defendant and his intent. | 一个被告和他的主观意图 |
[27:08] | And if you don’t find that intent, | 如果你们没有找到这样的主观意图 |
[27:10] | you cannot punish him… | 你们就不能 |
[27:12] | …just because he’s in a gang. | 仅仅因为他是帮派分子就判他有罪 |
[27:14] | Who or what he is, that is not on trial here. | 这个案子审理的不是他的身份和职业 |
[27:17] | If it were, I might say convict. | 不然的话 我会说判他有罪 |
[27:18] | For the sake of my son… | 为了我的儿子 |
[27:20] | …l’d pray that you would. | 我会衷心祈求你们判他有罪 |
[27:24] | But this trial is about the act. | 但是这个案子审理的是他的行为 |
[27:29] | And this act was an accident. | 而这个行为是一场意外 |
[27:39] | Let’s not see the 12 of you go back there… | 当你们12位回到陪审团室 |
[27:41] | …and turn into a gang. | 不要让自己变成了帮派 |
[27:51] | – Hi. – Hello. | -嗨 -你好 |
[27:54] | Rebecca, I was hoping I’d catch you. | Rebecca 终于找到你了 |
[27:56] | – Shirley, what’s up? – Well… | -Shirley 怎么了 -呃… |
[27:58] | Lindsay Dole, | 这位是Lindsay Dole |
[28:00] | this is Shirley Yellen of Save Our Animals Association. | 这是”拯救动物协会”的Shirley Yellen |
[28:02] | – Nice to meet you. – It’s a pleasure. | -很高兴认识你 -非常荣幸 |
[28:04] | You’re not gonna believe this. | 这件事情太巧了 |
[28:06] | Marcy Kealing works dispatch at Precinct 12. | Marcy Kealing在12局收发文件 |
[28:09] | You know she’s on our board of governors. | 她是我们的理事会成员 |
[28:11] | I don’t know her. | 我不认识她 |
[28:12] | Well, she certainly knows you, | 可是她认识你 |
[28:14] | since you’re about to be one of our honorees. | 因为你将成为我们的获奖人 |
[28:17] | She says evidently you killed a rat? | 她说你打死了一只老鼠? |
[28:19] | Yeah. In the office here. | 是啊 在办公室里 |
[28:24] | What? | 怎么了 |
[28:25] | Oh, it’s just the politics. | 不过是些政治而已 |
[28:26] | The last thing we need running in the papers, | 我们最不希望看到的媒体报道是 |
[28:28] | one of our honorees is a rat killer. | 我们的获奖人之一是老鼠杀手 |
[28:31] | I am not a rat killer. | 我不是老鼠杀手 |
[28:32] | I know, it’s just the media. | 我知道 只是怕这些媒体 |
[28:34] | It’s the kind of thing they get all creamy over. | 他们最喜欢这一类的新闻 |
[28:37] | So, what are you saying, Shirley? | 那么你想说什么 Shirley |
[28:38] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[28:39] | Nothing. It doesn’t mean a thing. | 没什么 我没别的意思 |
[28:41] | I, I just wanted a response in case somebody asks me. | 就是万一有人问起 我好回答 |
[28:43] | Don’t worry about it. | 别担心 |
[28:45] | Okay. | 好的 |
[28:46] | Well, I’ll see you at the luncheon. | 好了 午宴上见 |
[28:51] | Wait, I’ll walk you out. | 等一会 我送你出去 |
[28:54] | – Good night. – Good night. | -晚安 -晚安 |
[29:05] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[29:14] | Rebecca told me your reason | Rebecca跟我说了 |
[29:15] | for springing this in front of everybody… | 你在大家面前突然提出来 |
[29:17] | …instead of taking it up with me privately. | 而没有私底下来找我的理由 |
[29:20] | I don’t buy it. | 我不接受 |
[29:22] | There’s no excuse for you not coming to me one-on-one. | 你没有理由不来跟我一对一地谈 |
[29:25] | Bobby, I was afraid of | Bobby 一对一地跟你谈 |
[29:26] | what I might say to you one-on-one. | 我担心有些话会脱口而出 |
[29:29] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你是什么意思 |
[29:33] | It means I might say that I think you’re dysfunctional. | 意思是 我可能会说我觉得你很无能 |
[29:35] | Your father worked his whole life | 你父亲一辈子都在一家 |
[29:37] | as a janitor in a big law firm. | 大律师事务所当勤杂工 |
[29:38] | It made you wanna be a lawyer. | 因此你想成为律师 |
[29:39] | It also made you hate them | 也因此 因为他们对待你父亲的方式 |
[29:40] | for the way they treated him. | 你恨他们 |
[29:42] | I mean, look at you. Fancy suits | 看看你 穿着精致的西装 |
[29:44] | in a rat-infested office? | 却在老鼠出没的地方办公 |
[29:46] | As you try to get ahead, | 在你不断前进的时候 |
[29:48] | you fight yourself at the same time. | 你同时也在跟自己斗争 |
[29:49] | And it hurts everybody here. | 这伤害了事务所所有的人 |
[29:53] | One-on-one, I was afraid I might say that. | 一对一 我就怕我会说出这番话来 |
[29:56] | If that’s the way you feel, why do you stay? | 如果你是这么想的 为什么还要留下来 |
[30:00] | Because my best friends work here. | 因为这里有我最好的朋友 |
[30:02] | I don’t wanna leave. | 我不想走 |
[30:05] | And I’m in love with you. | 而且我爱你 |
[30:07] | I say that with no hope of you loving me back. | 我这么说不是希望你也爱我 |
[30:12] | I don’t even think I want it. | 我其实不想得到你的爱 |
[30:14] | But, I don’t know. I mean, maybe… | 但是 我不知道 我是说 也许… |
[30:17] | …as a result of my loving you, I also see you. | 正因为我爱你 我能看透你 |
[30:20] | And I know with you in charge | 我知道 在你管理之下 |
[30:22] | and only you in charge… | 在你一个人的管理之下 |
[30:24] | …this firm is maxed out. | 这家事务所已经走到极限了 |
[30:28] | And you might be too. | 而你或许也走到极限了 |
[30:42] | Oh, Eugene. Looking good. | 哦 Eugene 衣服不错 |
[30:44] | What, did you change dry cleaners? | 怎么 另外找了一家干洗店? |
[30:46] | Funny. Rebecca’s award ceremony. | 真幽默 Rebecca的颁奖仪式 |
[30:47] | My jury’s still out, so l… | 我那个案子的陪审团还在审议 所以我… |
[30:49] | Tell her congratulations for me. | 代我祝贺她 |
[30:51] | I’d like to go, | 我也想去的 |
[30:51] | but I have this stupid hit-and-run case. | 可是这个该死的肇事逃逸案子还没完 |
[30:53] | I’ll tell her. | 我会告诉她的 |
[30:55] | Okay. | 谢谢 |
[31:00] | Helen, sorry I’m late. | Helen 对不起我来晚了 |
[31:01] | That’s okay. We haven’t even started yet. | 没关系 我们还没开始呢 |
[31:03] | Guess who took a knife in the throat last night. | 猜猜谁昨天晚上被抹了脖子 |
[31:05] | – Who? – Your star witness, Show. | -谁 -你的明星证人 Show |
[31:07] | Mr. Cyclops got in some beef with another homeless guy. | Cyclops先生跟另外一个流浪汉起了争执 |
[31:10] | They both wanted to sleep on the same heating vent. | 他们都想睡在同一个暖气出风口上 |
[31:13] | He lost. | 结果他输了 |
[31:14] | Is he dead? | 他死了吗 |
[31:16] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[31:17] | Helen, we’ve been called. | Helen 时间到了 |
[31:21] | I’m gonna go try to steal a cup of coffee, okay? | 我去喝杯咖啡 可以吗 |
[31:40] | This is a really good thing, | 你是真的做了件好事 |
[31:42] | saving dog shelters. | 拯救流浪狗救助中心 |
[31:44] | It’s nice that they honor you for this. | 他们因此给你颁奖 好极了 |
[31:46] | You know, Jewish people believe… | 你知道吗 犹太人相信… |
[31:48] | …one of the greatest things is kindness to animals. | 善待动物是最大善行之一 |
[31:50] | I’m not Jewish though. | 虽然我不是犹太人 |
[31:51] | You look Jewish. | 你长得像犹太人 |
[31:55] | If you’re insinuating that Jewish people have big heads… | 如果你是在暗示犹太人脑袋大 |
[31:58] | …that’s prejudice. | 那是偏见 |
[31:59] | And mine’s normal size. | 而且我的头也不大 |
[32:03] | Rebecca, could I steal you a second? | Rebecca 可以跟你说句话吗 |
[32:05] | Oh, sure. | 哦 当然 |
[32:09] | Let’s not spoil this for Bec, huh? | 我们不要扫了Bec的兴 好吗 |
[32:13] | Whatever our problems. | 不管我们有什么问题 |
[32:19] | Excuse me. | 对不起 |
[32:25] | You have got to be kidding me. | 你开什么玩笑 |
[32:26] | You’re still getting the award, I assure you. | 奖项还是会发给你 我保证 |
[32:29] | But the board wants to | 但是理事会希望 |
[32:30] | talk about the incident after. | 稍后跟你谈谈这个事情 |
[32:31] | I wouldn’t even give it another thought. | 我认为这个事完全不会有任何影响 |
[32:33] | Then why are you telling me? | 那你为什么告诉我 |
[32:35] | Because some of our more zealous members | 我们有些比较极端的成员 |
[32:37] | might make a fuss. | 可能会大惊小怪 |
[32:39] | I want you to be prepared. | 我希望你有心理准备 |
[32:45] | He didn’t know he’d hurt anybody. | 他不知道自己伤害了任何人 |
[32:47] | You heard him. | 你们听到了他是怎么说的 |
[32:49] | And who among us wouldn’t have been afraid | 要在那样一个社区下车 |
[32:51] | to get out of the car in that neighborhood? | 谁不会觉得害怕呢 |
[32:53] | It could have been a staged thing. | 那有可能是个圈套 |
[32:55] | An attempt to rob Mr. Feldman. | 可能有人想抢劫Feldman先生 |
[32:58] | We don’t know who this John Doe was… | 我们不知道这个无名氏是什么人 |
[33:00] | …what was in his mind, what he was up to. | 他当时在想什么 他要做什么 |
[33:03] | Maybe he was some crazy nut. | 也许他是个疯子 |
[33:05] | Maybe he was already hurt when he jumped out. | 也许他突然冲出来的时候已经受伤了 |
[33:09] | There are so many unanswered questions here. | 有如此多的疑问没有得到解释 |
[33:14] | What do we know? | 那么我们知道些什么呢 |
[33:16] | This is a good man. | 这位先生是个好人 |
[33:18] | A very good man… | 一个真正的好人 |
[33:20] | …who didn’t know he’d hurt anybody. | 他不知道自己伤到了别人 |
[33:32] | When I get up to do my closing arguments… | 通常 当我站出来做结案陈词的时候 |
[33:36] | …I often look over to the gallery | 我会经常看一看旁听席上的 |
[33:37] | at the victim or the victim’s family. | 受害人或者受害人家属 |
[33:41] | To remind myself what I’m fighting for. | 以便提醒自己我在为谁而战 |
[33:44] | But there’s no family out there today. | 但是今天 这里没有家属 |
[33:48] | We don’t even have a victim in all | 再仔细想想 |
[33:50] | of this when you think about it. | 我们甚至连受害人也没有 |
[33:52] | Somebody jumped out of the darkness | 某个人从黑暗中跳出来 |
[33:54] | and now he no longer exists. | 现在他消失了 |
[33:56] | But nobody knew he existed anyway. | 但是本来也没有人知道他的存在 |
[33:58] | So, what was really lost? | 所以有什么关系 |
[34:01] | Of course Mr. Feldman wasn’t going to | Feldman先生当然不会 |
[34:03] | get out of his car and check. | 下车来检查 |
[34:04] | Why should he? | 有什么必要呢 |
[34:06] | If a man dies in the forest | 如果有人死在森林里 |
[34:08] | and nobody hears him cry… | 没有人听到他的呼叫 |
[34:09] | …then he doesn’t make a sound, does he? | 那么他就死得无声无息 不是吗 |
[34:14] | The other day I was stopped at a traffic light… | 有一天 我在停车等红灯 |
[34:16] | …and some bum came up asking to wash my windshield. | 有个流浪汉过来问我要不要擦洗车窗 |
[34:21] | I couldn’t even tell you what he looked like… | 我没法向你们描述他长得什么样子 |
[34:25] | …because I didn’t look at him. | 因为我根本没看他 |
[34:28] | I just looked straight ahead. | 我只是双眼盯着前方 |
[34:31] | Stopped at a traffic light or walking down the street… | 不管是在等红灯还是在走路 |
[34:35] | …I never look at them. | 我从来不看他们一眼 |
[34:41] | Do you? | 你们呢 |
[34:46] | It’s easier not to, huh? | 眼不见 心不烦 是吗 |
[34:50] | But maybe when you run one of these bums over… | 但是也许 当你撞倒了某个流浪汉 |
[34:58] | …you should stop the car. | 你应该停下车 |
[35:00] | Get out of the car. | 应该走下车来 |
[35:03] | Take a look. | 看一眼 |
[35:06] | Mr. Feldman knew he hit somebody, | Feldman先生明知自己撞到了人 |
[35:08] | that we all know. | 这一点我们都没有疑问 |
[35:11] | I guess the only question for you to go back and decide: | 我觉得你们唯一需要考虑的问题是 |
[35:16] | Is there any intrinsic value to human life? | 生命本身是不是有它内在的价值 |
[35:21] | Or does he have | 还是说一定要有了身份 |
[35:22] | to be somebody? | 他的生命才有价值 |
[35:26] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[35:31] | It’s your call. | 你们来决定 |
[35:46] | Madame foreperson, | 首席陪审员女士 |
[35:48] | the jury has reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一致裁决了吗 |
[35:51] | We have, Your Honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[35:52] | Will the defendant please rise? | 被告请起立 |
[35:58] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[36:00] | Commonwealth vs. Raymond Burnette… | 马萨诸塞州诉Raymond Burnette |
[36:03] | …on the charge of murder in the second degree… | 关于二级谋杀罪的指控 |
[36:06] | …we find the defendant, Raymond Burnette… | 我们判决被告Raymond Burnette |
[36:09] | …not guilty. | 无罪 |
[36:11] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告当庭开释 |
[36:13] | The jury is dismissed | 陪审团可以解散了 |
[36:14] | with the thanks of the court. | 法庭感谢你们的工作 |
[36:30] | Yo. | 伙计 |
[36:32] | I don’t know how to say thanks, man. | 我不知道该怎么感谢你 老兄 |
[36:34] | You know, you did that, man. | 全靠你的功劳 老兄 |
[36:40] | You asked me before if I was gonna save your son. | 你之前问我能不能救救你的儿子 |
[36:42] | I told you I’d try to keep him out of jail. I did. | 我说我会努力避免让他坐牢 我做到了 |
[36:45] | Now whether or not he’s saved, | 现在 他能不能得救 |
[36:46] | that’s up to the two of you. | 取决于你们俩 |
[36:48] | You don’t know how to say thanks? | 你不知道怎么感谢我? |
[36:50] | From now on, | 从现在开始 |
[36:51] | every time you see a 10 year-old kid… | 你看到任何一个10岁的孩子 |
[36:52] | …you pretend he’s mine. | 你都把他当做是我的孩子 |
[36:59] | For her perseverance in preserving both | 由于她在拯救Roxbury动物救助中心 |
[37:02] | the Roxbury Animal Shelter and her fundraising efforts | 以及在建立Jamaica Plains救助中心的 |
[37:05] | to help build the Jamaica Plains Shelter… | 筹款活动中的辛勤付出 |
[37:08] | …it is my great pleasure to present | 我非常荣幸地向各位介绍 |
[37:09] | the 1998 Basset Hound Award… | 1998年度”巴吉度猎犬奖”获得者 |
[37:12] | …to Ms. Rebecca Washington. | Rebecca Washington女士 |
[37:28] | Thank you so much. | 非常感谢 |
[37:30] | I was so honored to come here today… | 今天 非常荣幸能来到这里 |
[37:33] | …especially to be honored | 尤其荣幸的是 |
[37:34] | for doing something I love. | 为从事我所喜欢的事而得到奖励 |
[37:36] | I so love dogs. | 我非常喜欢狗 |
[37:39] | But I have to be honest in saying that I’m a little thrown. | 不过老实说 我有一点不太明白 |
[37:47] | Okay. Two days ago… | 两天之前 |
[37:49] | …I killed a rat in my office. | 我在办公室打死了一只老鼠 |
[37:52] | And I guess there are some people in the association… | 我猜 协会中有一些人 |
[37:56] | …who are considering… | 正在考虑 |
[37:57] | …taking the trophy back from me because of that. | 为此收回我的奖杯 |
[38:02] | So I’m just gonna say this. | 所以我想说 |
[38:05] | I hate rats. | 我讨厌老鼠 |
[38:07] | Love dogs, but rats, | 我爱狗 但是老鼠 |
[38:09] | they’re filthy disgusting, scummy little things. | 它们是些肮脏 作呕 可恶的小东西 |
[38:13] | And they may be one of God’s creatures… | 它们或许也是上帝创造的 |
[38:15] | …but they certainly don’t represent his best work. | 但确实造得不怎么好 |
[38:18] | And if one tries to run up my leg… | 如果有个老鼠想爬到我腿上来 |
[38:21] | …I will not apologize for stomping it to death. | 我会毫不怜惜地把它踩死 |
[38:23] | …and come on, let’s all fess up. | 各位 我们坦率地说 |
[38:26] | You’d all poison them | 如果你们家中有老鼠 |
[38:27] | if they were running around your house. | 你们不是都会下毒吗 |
[38:30] | Now, part of me likes those spring traps… | 某种程度上 我很喜欢那些老鼠夹子 |
[38:33] | …because they make them suffer. | 因为它们让老鼠遭受折磨 |
[38:35] | And then the scummy little rat squeaks out in pain… | 当这些可恶的小东西痛得尖叫的时候 |
[38:38] | …and the rest know better than to come in the area. | 它们的同伴就被吓得不敢出来了 |
[38:41] | You… You ever seen | 你们…你们有没有见过 |
[38:42] | a drowned one in a pool? | 淹死在水池里的老鼠 |
[38:44] | It’s nasty. | 很恶心 |
[38:45] | So I ain’t saving no rat. | 所以我不会去救老鼠 |
[38:48] | And if this costs me this award, | 如果你们因此要收回这个奖杯 |
[38:50] | then so be it. | 那就收回去好了 |
[38:52] | I just hope I get to hold onto this long enough | 不过我还是希望是能保留几天 |
[38:55] | so I can use it… | 这样我就可以用它来 |
[38:56] | …to bash in one little rat head. | 打烂那些小老鼠的头 |
[39:01] | Otherwise, I thank you. | 除此之外 谢谢大家 |
[39:16] | – I gotta go. – Thank you. | -我该走了 -谢谢 |
[39:17] | – Yeah. – Bless you. | -嗯 -上帝保佑 |
[39:22] | – Not guilty? – Yeah, you too? | -无罪 -是的 你也是? |
[39:25] | – Yeah. – See you. | -嗯 -再见 |
[39:47] | – Hey. – Hey. | -嘿 -嘿 |
[39:50] | How’d the luncheon go? | 午宴怎么样 |
[39:52] | Had to leave. My jury came back. | 我中途离开了 陪审团做出裁决了 |
[39:55] | Good? | 赢了? |
[39:59] | I don’t think you’d like it. | 我猜你不会喜欢的 |
[40:03] | I’m still all dressed up. Get a drink or something? | 我还穿着正装 去喝一杯? |
[40:10] | Actually, I’d like to go for a walk. | 其实 我想出去走走 |
[40:12] | Feel like walking? | 你想出去走走吗 |
[40:15] | It’s cold out there. | 外面很冷 |
[40:17] | Tell me about it. | 可不是嘛 |
[40:35] | Rebecca okay? | Rebecca还好吧 |
[40:36] | Yeah. I think she’s just feeling the stress of everything. | 嗯 我感觉她只是压力比较大 |
[40:42] | And that… | 而且… |
[40:43] | She hates rats. | 她讨厌老鼠 |
[40:46] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[40:50] | Listen, are you lashing out because of us? | 你说的那些话 是因为我们俩的关系 |
[40:55] | Or do you really believe that? | 还是你真的那么想 |
[40:59] | Both. | 都有 |
[41:02] | I’m sure part of my frustration’s | 我的挫折感 |
[41:04] | got nothing to do with the practice. | 肯定不完全来自工作 |
[41:06] | But part of it does. | 但有一部分来自工作 |
[41:09] | I know what you want this place to be. | 我知道你想让事务所发展成什么样 |
[41:11] | And I think I can help you… | 我觉得我能够帮你 |
[41:16] | What? | 什么 |
[41:18] | – Nothing. – What? | -没什么 -怎么了 |
[41:25] | I’m right here, Bobby. | 我就在这里 Bobby |
[41:28] | I’m standing right here. | 我就站在这里 |
[41:45] | I’ll… | 我… |
[41:50] | I’ll think this office stuff through. | 我会好好考虑事务所的事情 |
[41:54] | Okay. | 好 |
[41:57] | That’d be good. | 那太好了 |