时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | There was a message on the machine. | 答录机上有条留言 |
[00:05] | Some scientist and a monkey. | 是个科学家和猴子的事情 |
[00:07] | I called back and set an appointment. | 我打回去 约了时间见面 |
[00:11] | Yes, a real monkey. | 对 真的猴子 |
[00:13] | No, no, she didn’t say. No. | 没有 没有 她没说 没有 |
[00:35] | Are you okay? | 你还好吗 |
[00:36] | Yeah, I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[00:40] | Oh, my God. | 噢 天哪 |
[00:47] | All right, you’re all set. | 行了 你可以走了 |
[00:52] | How you doing, ma’am? | 女士 你怎么样 |
[00:55] | You wanna make some money today? | 想赚点钱么 |
[00:56] | Excuse me? | 什么意思 |
[00:57] | My guess would be four or five thousand. | 估计有四五千的 |
[00:59] | Maybe more. Insurance. | 也许更多 保险公司赔 |
[01:01] | I’m fine, thank you. | 我很好 谢谢关心 |
[01:02] | They’ll pay. I mean, they gotta pay. | 他们会赔的 我是说 他们非赔不可 |
[01:04] | Look, I said I’m not hurt. | 我说了我没有受伤 |
[01:05] | But you never know. Soft-tissue damage, | 这可说不准 比如软组织损伤 |
[01:07] | that could be a delayed-reaction thing. | 你可能不会马上感觉到 |
[01:09] | My man here, he’s good. | 我认识人 他很棒 |
[01:11] | He’ll check you out | 他可以给你做个检查 |
[01:12] | and in six months, get you up to 5000. | 在六个月内帮你拿到5000块 |
[01:15] | It’s free money. Just think about it. | 这是白捡的钱 考虑考虑吧 |
[01:21] | It’s a scam. The whole accident was probably staged. | 这是诈骗 整个事故可能都是人为设计的 |
[01:23] | You think? | 真的吗 |
[01:24] | Except you were meant to plow into the guy in front. | 只不过 他们本来是要让你撞上前面的车 |
[01:27] | Then they come after your insurance. | 然后他们向你的保险公司索赔 |
[01:28] | Since you didn’t hit nobody, plan B. | 因为你没有撞上 那么就启动B计划 |
[01:30] | Plan B? | B计划? |
[01:32] | Well, they solicit you to go after the guy who rear-ended you. | 他们鼓动你去找从后面撞上你的人 |
[01:35] | It’s a billion-dollar business, insurance fraud. | 这可是数十亿的生意 保险诈骗 |
[01:38] | I almost decided to go into it. | 我都差点进了这一行 |
[01:41] | That was a joke. | 开个玩笑 |
[01:42] | Well, it’s not a joke to me. | 我不觉得好笑 |
[01:43] | I’m reporting them. | 我要举报他们 |
[01:45] | Reporting who? | 举报谁 |
[01:46] | The guilty ones fled the scene. | 罪犯已经逃离了现场 |
[01:47] | The guy who hit you is probably innocent. | 而撞你的人可能是无辜的 |
[01:49] | You get any other plate numbers? | 你记下车牌号码了吗 |
[01:50] | What about the guy who gave me this card. | 给我名片的这个家伙呢 |
[01:52] | You get his name? | 你知道他的姓名吗 |
[01:53] | I got his doctor’s name. | 我知道他的医生的姓名 |
[01:54] | Can’t prove he did anything. | 我们什么都证明不了 |
[01:55] | My car’s got bashed. I’m taking it out on somebody. | 我的车被撞烂了 得有人付出代价 |
[01:58] | Maybe another rat’ll run by. | 也许还会有只老鼠跑出来 |
[01:59] | You think that’s funny? | 你觉得很好笑吗 |
[02:00] | All right. | 好吧 |
[02:01] | No, no, you wouldn’t kill a rat. | 不 不 你不会杀老鼠的 |
[02:02] | – Professional courtesy.- Hey. | -职业修养 -嘿 |
[02:04] | – All right. -Just stop saying “all right.” | -好吧 -别一直说”好吧” |
[02:05] | Because my car got bashed. Nothing all right with that. | 我的车被撞烂了 这一点也不好 |
[02:08] | Know what, Rebecca? | Rebecca我觉得 |
[02:09] | I think you need to have sexual relations. | 你应该找个人解决你的性生活 |
[02:11] | – What? – You’ve been acting nasty. | -什么 -你显得火气太旺 |
[02:13] | I have not been acting nasty! | 我没有显得火气太旺 |
[02:14] | Maybe you’re a frustrated older woman. | 那你就是个失意的老女人 |
[02:16] | Older woman? Who you calling… | 老女人? 你在说谁呢 |
[02:18] | You think I’m old? Does this look old to you? | 你说我老? 你觉得我老吗? |
[02:22] | What the hell is going on here? | 你们怎么回事 |
[02:24] | Rebecca got into a car accident… | Rebecca撞车了 |
[02:25] | Jimmy called her old | Jimmy说她老 |
[02:27] | and I think he wants to have sex with her. | 我觉得他是想跟她上床 |
[02:28] | Not true. I’m innocent. Not true. | 我没有 我是清白的 不是这样的 |
[03:20] | Rebecca, I wasn’t soliciting you for sex. | Rebecca 我不是想跟你上床 |
[03:23] | This is something I wouldn’t do. | 我没有这个想法 |
[03:25] | Because you think I’m too old. | 因为你觉得我太老了 |
[03:26] | I never meant that. | 我不是那个意思 |
[03:27] | You know I didn’t. | 你知道我不是那个意思 |
[03:28] | I’m a kind person. | 我是个友善的人 |
[03:29] | You have a heart the size of your head. | 你的心跟你的脑袋一样大 |
[03:31] | Can we just drop this? | 就此打住好吗 |
[03:32] | Rude. | 太伤人了 |
[03:34] | Is there something in the water? | 你们有什么深仇大恨吗 |
[03:35] | Yeah, Lindsay. | 是的 都怪Lindsay |
[03:36] | Bite me. | 你咬我呀 |
[03:37] | All right, that’s it. After lunch, 1:00. | 行了 都别说了 午饭后 一点钟 |
[03:39] | Staff meeting. Everybody there. | 全所会议 每个人都参加 |
[03:43] | Excuse me. I’m looking for Ellenor Frutt. | 打扰了 我找Ellenor Frutt |
[03:46] | That’s me. | 我就是 |
[03:47] | My name is Katherine Nesbit. I called. | 我是Katherine Nesbit 我打过电话来 |
[03:51] | It’s the monkey. | 猴子的事情 |
[03:55] | She grew up with us. | 我们看着她长大 |
[03:57] | I’ve been her teacher almost from birth. | 差不多从她出生开始 我就一直是她的老师 |
[03:59] | But she doesn’t belong to you. | 但她并不属于你 |
[04:00] | No, she’s owned by the Primate Center. | 是的 她的所有权属于”灵长动物中心” |
[04:03] | Ellenor, you’ll understand | Ellenor 你很快会明白 |
[04:05] | why I feel so strongly about this. | 为什么这件事对我这么重要 |
[04:07] | Here, you might want one of these. | 给你 会派上用场的 |
[04:20] | Hi, Tina. | Tina 你好呀 |
[04:23] | What’s up? | 怎么啦 |
[04:27] | She just asked if I was her friend. | 她刚刚在问我是不是她的朋友 |
[04:29] | I know sign language. | 我懂手语 |
[04:30] | Yeah, I know that. | 看得出来 |
[04:33] | My name is Ellenor. | 我是Ellenor |
[04:37] | That’s her sign name. | 她在告诉你她的名字 |
[04:38] | Hi, Tina. It’s nice to meet you. | 嗨 Tina 认识你很开心 |
[04:44] | I can’t believe she knows sign language. | 真不敢相信 她竟然懂手语 |
[04:46] | Modified. | 改良过的手语 |
[04:47] | She uses up to 130 signs | 她能使用大约130个手势 |
[04:49] | and she knows 100 or so more than that. | 能看懂的还要多100个左右 |
[04:53] | The bear. Can you bring it to me? | 小熊 递给我好吗 |
[04:59] | – Thank you. – Yeah. | -谢谢你 -嗯 |
[05:05] | Rebecca Rebecca. | |
[05:09] | You and I need to clear some air. | 我们之间可能有点误会 |
[05:11] | No. I was… | 不 我只是… |
[05:16] | The accident. | 因为车祸 |
[05:18] | The thought that they did it on purpose. | 想到他们是故意的 |
[05:20] | I mean, I could’ve been killed. | 我是说 我可能会死掉 |
[05:23] | You really wanna get them? | 你真的想抓到他们吗 |
[05:24] | Can we? | 能抓到吗 |
[05:26] | Let me see the card that guy gave you. | 把那张名片给我看看 |
[05:31] | Like a sting? | 你是说设个圈套? |
[05:32] | Just the doctor. Nothing dangerous. | 只接触那个医生 没什么危险 |
[05:35] | Do you really think the accident was staged? | 你真的认为车祸是人为设计的吗 |
[05:37] | All I know is the car on the left was blocking me | 我只知道左边的车在挤我 |
[05:39] | and the car in front of me stopped short, | 然后前面的车突然停下来 |
[05:41] | then took off. | 马上又开走了 |
[05:42] | That’s how they do it, Helen. | 这是他们惯用的手法 Helen |
[05:43] | Then a man with a doctor’s card | 然后有个人突然冒出来 |
[05:44] | suddenly appears. | 给你一张医生的名片 |
[05:46] | You wouldn’t be able to wear a wire. | 你不能带窃听器 |
[05:48] | The guy would be examining you. | 因为医生会给你体检 |
[05:50] | I make for a good witness, remember? | 我是个很棒的证人 记得不 |
[05:55] | -Are you nuts? – I’d only be meeting the chiropractor. | -你疯了吗 -我只是跟这个理疗师见个面 |
[05:58] | What doctors aren’t dangerous? If they’re criminals… | 哪个医生不危险呢 如果他们是罪犯… |
[06:00] | What’s wrong with you? | 你们发什么神经 |
[06:02] | Bite me. | 别多管闲事 |
[06:02] | Now what? | 又怎么了 |
[06:03] | Rebecca, a.k.a. Pam Grier… | Rebecca 我们的帕•格瑞尔 【注:好莱坞著名黑人女星】 |
[06:05] | is going undercover to break an insurance-fraud ring. | 要去潜伏 摧毁保险诈骗团伙 |
[06:08] | – What? – They almost got me killed. | -没听错吧 -他们差一点杀了我 |
[06:10] | – Rebecca… – Don’t Rebecca me. | -Rebecca -别阻止我 |
[06:11] | Do you have any idea what you’re getting into? | 你知道你在做什么吗 |
[06:13] | I said yes. You have a problem, bite her. | 我已经答应了 有问题问她去吧 |
[06:16] | It’s a just a meeting with the doctor. | 只是跟医生见个面而已 |
[06:23] | Why are they getting rid of her? | 为什么要把她处理掉 |
[06:25] | It’s not just Tina. | 不仅仅是Tina |
[06:26] | The Primate Center closes on Thursday. | “灵长动物中心”将在周四关闭 |
[06:28] | All the research animals | 所有的研究动物 |
[06:30] | have been sold to a biomedical lab. | 都已经卖给了一家生物实验室 |
[06:32] | – And at the biomedical lab, Tina… – Exactly. | -到了实验室 Tina会被… -是的 |
[06:35] | They’ll probably experiment on her, | 他们可能会拿她做实验 |
[06:37] | maybe her brain. | 也许是大脑的实验 |
[06:39] | There’s a likelihood they’ll even K-I-L-L. | 他们甚至可能会K-I-L-L |
[06:43] | I don’t think she’s listening, | 我想她没有注意听我们说话 |
[06:45] | but just in case, she knows that word. | 但以防万一 她听得懂那个字 |
[06:48] | I don’t know. We can try and get a temporary injunction. | 我不知道 我们可以尝试申请临时禁令 |
[06:52] | Miss Frutt, I really don’t have a lot of money. | Frutt小姐 我真的没有多少钱 |
[06:54] | Do you have a house? | 你有房子吗 |
[06:57] | I’m kidding. | 开玩笑呢 |
[06:59] | First of all, the idea of partnership or equity | 首先 关于成为合伙人和取得股份 |
[07:01] | I’m not sure it’s something that any of you really want. | 我觉得未必是你们真正想要的 |
[07:03] | You don’t just share the profit. You share the debt, | 你不是仅仅参与分红 你还要分担债务 |
[07:06] | which we still have. | 我们现在仍然负债 |
[07:07] | That debt can be erased by a buy-in. | 通过入伙就能把债务了清 |
[07:09] | If we buy in to the partnership, that would create a surplus | 如果我们出资入伙 就可以产生盈余 |
[07:11] | that could wipe out most of our deficits. | 用来抹掉大部分亏损 |
[07:13] | Plus, in exchange for equity, | 再说 作为成为合伙人的条件 |
[07:15] | we could all agree to reduce our salaries. | 我们可以同意减薪 |
[07:17] | That’ll lower overhead. | 这样就降低了日常支出 |
[07:18] | Problem is, I can’t afford to make less. | 问题是 我不能接受减薪 |
[07:20] | I barely crack my nut as it is. | 我现在只能勉强维持收支平衡 |
[07:22] | You don’t have to buy in, Eugene. | 你可以选择不入伙 Eugene |
[07:23] | It’s not like anybody’s hand’s being forced. | 不是每个人都要强制入伙 |
[07:25] | Yes, but if you buy in, Lindsay | 是啊 但如果你入伙了 Lindsay |
[07:27] | which maybe you can afford, | 而且你有这个能力 |
[07:28] | since you don’t pay child support | 因为你不需要养孩子 |
[07:30] | you become a partner, don’t you? | 你会成为合伙人 对吧 |
[07:31] | Meaning? | 什么意思 |
[07:32] | Meaning you’d be in a position to force hands. | 意思是你就成了我们的老板了 |
[07:35] | -This isn’t about power. – Don’t give me that. | -这跟权力没有关系 -别给我来这套 |
[07:37] | This has nothing to do… | 两者之间根本就没有… |
[07:38] | You’re looking for a say in how this place is run. | 你想干预事务所的管理 |
[07:40] | You’re gonna deny that? | 你敢说不是吗 |
[07:41] | – That doesn’t translate into power. -Come on, Lindsay, | -并不意味着我想要掌权 -得了吧 Lindsay |
[07:43] | let’s not deny this is a little about power. | 你就是想争夺权力 老实承认吧 |
[07:45] | Could be more that she slept with him. | 要么就是因为他们俩上过床 |
[07:47] | – Shut up. -Jimmy, for crying out loud. | -闭嘴 -Jimmy 你瞎说什么 |
[07:49] | It’s about promoting the firm. | 我是想让事务所得到提升 |
[07:50] | Yeah, by promoting yourself within the firm. | 对 通过提升你自己在事务所的地位 |
[07:52] | – To help everybody. – Including yourself. | -为了每个人的利益 -包括你自己 |
[07:54] | You gonna deny that too? | 这一点你也要否认吗 |
[07:55] | You gonna deny you’re frustrated, Ellenor? | 你不是也对事务所很失望吗 Ellenor |
[07:57] | -Do you hear me complain? -I don’t have to. | -你听到我抱怨什么了吗 -不需要 |
[07:58] | A friend of mine works at Herrick and Dunne. | 我有朋友在Herrick和Dunne事务所工作 |
[08:00] | You interviewed there last week for a job. | 你上个星期去那边面试了 |
[08:08] | That has nothing to do with this. | 那是另外一回事 |
[08:11] | I am due in court. I have to go save an ape. | 我得上庭了 我要去拯救一只猴子 |
[08:20] | Haven’t we moved up? | 我们果然有进步 |
[08:21] | We represent monkeys now. | 业务都拓展到猴子那里去了 |
[08:23] | But, hey, so long as Eugene gets to crack his nuts. | 不过 只要Eugene能维持收支平衡 |
[08:28] | No problems here. | 没有问题了 |
[08:38] | Tightness here and here. | 这里肌肉有些紧 还有这里 |
[08:42] | – I’m not in any pain. – Right. | -我一点也没觉得痛 -是的 |
[08:44] | Could you push up against me, please? | 朝我这边用力 |
[08:47] | No, this really hurts. It’s almost like a burning sensation. | 不 真的很痛 像是烧伤的感觉 |
[08:51] | See, the whole back area is spasming. | 是吧 整个后背都在痉挛 |
[08:53] | See, the pain radiates out from the spinal column | 疼痛从脊柱往四周放射 |
[08:57] | like a starfish, you’ll wanna say, or like arrows. | 可以说呈海星状 或者说箭头状 |
[08:59] | But we’ll go over that. | 我们会为你做详细检查 |
[09:01] | Marcus said four or five thousand. | Marcus说能赔个四五千的 |
[09:03] | Just a second. | 稍等一会 |
[09:04] | Allison, could you come in here, please? | Allison 请过来一下 |
[09:08] | I’ll need to see you a number of times, | 我还要再给你做几次检查 |
[09:10] | set up a pattern of treatment. | 确定治疗方案 |
[09:11] | All right? With this soft-tissue inflammation, | 没问题吧? 像这种软组织损伤 |
[09:13] | it could take several months to treat. | 可能需要治疗几个月 |
[09:15] | – I understand. – Okay. | -知道了 -好的 |
[09:16] | We’re gonna start Miss Washington | 在第一个月 |
[09:18] | on a routine of three times a week for the first month. | 每周给Washington女士做三次治疗 |
[09:21] | I’ll just have you sign in for the first five weeks now, | 我现在就给你安排好前五个星期的日程 |
[09:23] | and then I’ll see you in just over a month. | 一个月过后我再跟你见面 |
[09:25] | – Okay? – Okay. | -可以吗 -没问题 |
[09:27] | You’re gonna need a lawyer to submit your claim. | 你需要找个律师帮你代理索赔 |
[09:31] | I have a number of names. | 我认识几个人 |
[09:32] | I’m actually the office manager of a small law firm. | 其实我是一家小律师事务所的行政主管 |
[09:35] | I’m sure one of our attorneys | 我想我们所的律师 |
[09:36] | would be glad to handle this for me. | 可以帮我处理这个事情 |
[09:38] | Yeah, I don’t know. Insurance law can be a tricky business. | 嗯 那可不一定 保险法非常复杂 |
[09:42] | You’ll want somebody who can handle this kind of thing. | 你可能需要这方面的专业律师 |
[09:44] | Well, actually, this kind of thing is right up our alley. | 哦 我们就是专门做这类案子的 |
[09:49] | Really? Well, that’s something we might wanna talk about sometime. | 是吗 那我们可以找个时间细谈 |
[09:55] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[10:00] | I don’t get the point. | 我不懂你的意思 |
[10:02] | Your client doesn’t own the animal. | 你的当事人并不拥有这只动物 |
[10:03] | My client would be happy to buy the chimpanzee, | 我的当事人愿意买下这只猩猩 |
[10:05] | but the defendant won’t sell her. | 但是被告不肯卖 |
[10:07] | We’re not permitted to sell our research animals to individuals. | 按规定 我们不能把实验动物卖给私人 |
[10:09] | Dr. Nesbit knows that better than all of us. | Nesbit博士比我们更清楚 |
[10:11] | I am not gonna stand up here and pretend that | 我们的确是在请求特殊对待 |
[10:13] | we’re not asking for special treatment. | 对此我并不否认 |
[10:15] | I am standing here because | 我认为本案的实际情况 |
[10:16] | I think this situation warrants it. | 使我们有权得到特殊对待 |
[10:18] | – Why? – Because the chimpanzee. | -为什么 -因为这只猩猩 |
[10:20] | has socially and emotionally bonded with Dr. Nesbit. | 对Nesbit博士在交往和情感上已经不可分离 |
[10:23] | Oh, please. My dog likes to lick my feet. | 拜托 我的狗喜欢舔我的脚 |
[10:26] | She’s still a dog. | 但她始终是条狗 |
[10:28] | Yes, but can your dog laugh? | 是 但是你的狗会笑吗 |
[10:30] | Can it form sentences and talk to you? | 它会造句吗 会跟你交谈吗 |
[10:32] | Can the monkey? | 难道这只猴子会吗 |
[10:33] | Yes. She knows sign language. | 会 她会手语 |
[10:35] | Not just words, Your Honor, | 不仅是单个的词 法官阁下 |
[10:37] | but word combinations. Nouns and verbs. | 而是词汇的组合 名词和动词 |
[10:39] | And she uses language to communicate. | 她会用语言和人交流 |
[10:41] | Your Honor, | 法官阁下 |
[10:42] | there are hundreds of chimpanzees in primate centers | “灵长动物中心”有几百只猩猩 |
[10:45] | that have all learned sign language. | 全都学会了手语 |
[10:47] | Yes, but this one could be killed | 是的 但是这一只可能会被杀掉 |
[10:48] | – if she is transferred… – You don’t know that. | -如果被… – 你根本没法确定 |
[10:50] | Your honor, this is tantamount to a child-custody case. | 法官阁下 这相当于孩子的抚养权问题 |
[10:52] | We would ask you to rule in the best interest of the child. | 我们请求你优先考虑孩子的利益 |
[10:55] | With one small exception, a child has rights. | 有个小小的区别 孩子有法律上的权利 |
[10:58] | A chimpanzee doesn’t. | 猩猩可没有 |
[10:59] | That may change, judge. | 这不是一成不变的 |
[11:00] | As we speak, | 当前就有这样的案子 |
[11:01] | there’s a case being brought to confer equality on great apes. | 要求赋予大猩猩平等的权利 |
[11:03] | That case isn’t before me, counsel. | 那个案子不归我审 律师 |
[11:06] | And frankly, I don’t care about it. | 而且老实说 我也不关心那个案子 |
[11:08] | All apes may be created equal, | 也许所有的猩猩生而平等 |
[11:10] | but they’re not equal to humans. | 但它们和人类并不平等 |
[11:11] | Your Honor, I really don’t appreciate your dismissiveness. | 法官阁下 我真的不敢苟同你的观点 |
[11:14] | Doctor, do you know how backed up my docket is? | 博士 你知道我有多少案件要审吗 |
[11:18] | Do you know how long | 你知道一个案子要等多久 |
[11:19] | people have to wait for their day in court? | 当事人才有机会上庭吗 |
[11:23] | She’s a monkey. | 她只是个猴子而已 |
[11:29] | – I’m to blame? – Yes. | -难道是我的错? -就是 |
[11:30] | Ellenor goes out on an interview and I… | Ellenor出去参加面试 而我… |
[11:32] | You’re the one who opened up Pandora’s box, not me. | 打开潘多拉魔盒的人是你 不是我 |
[11:35] | Oh, here you go again refusing to take responsibility | 哦 你又在为自己的管理无方 |
[11:37] | for poor leadership when… | 推卸责任了 |
[11:38] | Well, I could fire you. That’s leadership. | 作为管理者 我可以炒了你 |
[11:40] | Go ahead. | 你炒吧 |
[11:41] | You better get an opinion letter first. | 你最好先找人出个法律意见书 |
[11:43] | Because the fact that we’ve slept together. With today’s laws… | 因为我们上过床 按如今的法律… |
[11:45] | You’re gonna claim sexual harassment? | 你要指控我性骚扰吗 |
[11:46] | That would be manipulating the law. | 那是操纵法律 |
[11:49] | What vacuum could I have possibly learned that in? | 我能从中得到什么呢 |
[11:51] | This is good. | 很好 |
[11:53] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
[11:54] | No, no, I mean really good. | 不 不 我真的觉得很好 |
[11:56] | This isn’t about office politics or improving the firm. | 这无关办公室政治 也无关事务所的提升 |
[11:59] | This is about you and me sleeping together. | 一切都是因为你和我上过床 |
[12:02] | We’re not sleeping together anymore. | 我们现在已经不在一起了 |
[12:04] | And that’s what this is about, that we are not. | 这正是问题的根源所在 我们没在一起了 |
[12:07] | You called a meeting back there to open a discussion, | 是你决定要开会讨论 |
[12:09] | which we did. | 会也开过了 |
[12:10] | And it comes out that Ellenor has put herself on the market | 结果发现Ellenor想要跳槽 |
[12:12] | and you’re saying that’s my fault. | 你却说都是我的错 |
[12:15] | You have issues with these people, Bobby. | 你跟这些人相处有问题 Bobby |
[12:17] | You wanna lay them all on me, | 你要把所有的问题都推到我身上 |
[12:19] | go ahead. It’s who you are. | 随便你 你就是这种人 |
[12:25] | Hey, how’s it going? | 嗨 怎么样 |
[12:30] | That’s him. No doubt. | 就是他 我确定 |
[12:33] | You know him? | 你认识他? |
[12:34] | Marcus Robbins. yeah, | 嗯 他叫Marcus Robbins |
[12:36] | he used to be a capper or a runner. | 以前是个托儿 跑腿的 |
[12:37] | I guess he’s moved up now. | 我猜他现在爬上去了 |
[12:38] | They work for doctors? | 他们为医生做事? |
[12:40] | No, he and the doctors work for somebody bigger. | 不 他和这些医生为更有来头的人做事 |
[12:42] | But this Dr. Spivak, he’s new to us. | 不过这个Spicak医生 我们还是头一次听说 |
[12:45] | He’s already got me set up for two months’ treatment. | 他已经为我安排了两个月的治疗 |
[12:47] | He has to. | 肯定的 |
[12:48] | He has to run your medical bills to 2000 | 他必须让你的医疗费用超过两千块 |
[12:50] | before you can claim pain and suffering. | 然后你才能提起”痛苦与创伤”索赔 |
[12:51] | So can you arrest him? | 那你可以逮捕他了? |
[12:53] | The doctor? | 逮捕医生? |
[12:54] | You know, from what you told us, | 从你告诉我们的情况来看 |
[12:55] | maybe we can get him up on a fraud charge, but… | 也许我们可以指控他诈骗 但是… |
[12:58] | But what? | 但是什么 |
[13:00] | How far are you willing to take this? | 你们愿不愿意配合深入调查? |
[13:07] | Me? | 我? |
[13:08] | The fact that this is a real firm… | 考虑到你们都是律师… |
[13:09] | But why Jimmy? | 为什么找Jimmy |
[13:10] | Well, nothing personal. | 呃 不是针对个人 |
[13:14] | Go ahead. | 直说吧 |
[13:15] | Those Jimmy the Grunt commercials. | 你做的”草根律师Jimmy”广告 |
[13:17] | You seem like the perfect lawyer to… | 让你显得正好适合… |
[13:20] | I think they might believe | 我觉得他们会更容易相信 |
[13:21] | you could be one of them. | 你跟他们是一伙的 |
[13:22] | It’s too dangerous. | 太危险了 |
[13:23] | It’s one thing to meet with a doctor, but… | 跟医生见面是一回事 但是… |
[13:25] | Plus, I don’t even think | 而且 你所说的这些 |
[13:26] | we can do what you’re talking about. | 我觉得我们根本做不到 |
[13:27] | Attorney-client privilege. | 限于”律师-当事人保密特权” |
[13:29] | We can’t sting a client. | 我们不能给当事人下圈套 |
[13:30] | I want to do it. | 这件事我要做 |
[13:32] | Exactly what are we talking about here? | 我们到底准备怎么做 |
[13:34] | Well, for Jimmy to be assigned some cases | 为了让Jimmy给他们办案子 |
[13:36] | the leader of the ring would wanna meet with him, | 团伙的头目会跟Jimmy见面 |
[13:37] | check him out. | 对他考察一番 |
[13:39] | It sounds too risky. | 太冒险了 |
[13:41] | Well, it’s up to you. | 决定权在你 |
[13:42] | I don’t think there’s any risk of physical danger | 我想应该不会有什么生命危险 |
[13:45] | but it’s totally up to you. | 不过最终还是由你决定 |
[13:48] | I’m in. | 我干 |
[13:50] | So am I. | 算我一个 |
[13:52] | Bad, bad idea. | 非常 非常不明智 |
[13:57] | I was basically the primatologist in charge of training her. | 作为动物学家 我一直负责训练Tina |
[14:00] | Training her in? | 训练她什么 |
[14:02] | Language, communication. | 语言 交流 |
[14:04] | – So Tina actually knows sign language? – Yes. | – 就是说Tina会手语? – 是的 |
[14:07] | You mean, she obeys commands | 你的意思是 她会听从指令 |
[14:09] | or she actually understands what words mean? | 还是说她真的理解句子的意思? |
[14:12] | I mean she conveys information, Your Honor. | 我是说她会表达自己的意思 法官阁下 |
[14:15] | She can actually tell me about her physical and mental well-being. | 她能够告诉我她身体很好 心情很棒 |
[14:18] | She can use abstract symbols | 她会使用抽象的符号 |
[14:20] | and she can teach language to other apes. | 她还会教其它的猩猩使用语言 |
[14:23] | You make her sound almost human. | 听你这么说 她差不多是个人了 |
[14:25] | Well, she is almost human. | 她的确差不多是个人 |
[14:26] | In fact, 98 percent of a chimpanzee’s DNA is the same | 事实上 大猩猩的DNA和人类的DNA |
[14:30] | Exactly the same… As a human’s. | 有98%是完全相同的 |
[14:37] | All right, let’s be clear. | 好了 这么说吧 |
[14:40] | You believe in animal testing for medical research? | 你赞成为医学研究而进行动物实验吗 |
[14:44] | Yes, but the line between… | 赞成 但是差别在于… |
[14:46] | We’ll get to the line in a second. | 我们等会再谈差别 |
[14:48] | But you’re okay with using animals, sacrificing animals | 但是你认同为了研究艾滋病 研究癌症 |
[14:52] | for AIDS research, cancer research? | 可以使用动物 杀死动物 |
[14:54] | – But not apes. – But not apes. | – 但是大猩猩不行 – 大猩猩不行吗 |
[14:58] | No cruelty to apes. | 不能残忍地对待猩猩 |
[15:02] | The primate research that you do, doctor | 博士 你所从事的灵长动物研究 |
[15:05] | does it ever involve cruelty to the apes? | 是否涉及对猩猩的残忍行为 |
[15:07] | I try not to be cruel to… | 我尽量不对它们残忍… |
[15:09] | Yeah, yeah. Let’s check the hypocrisy at the door. | 是吗 看看这有多么伪善 |
[15:12] | If we’re talking the best interest of the ape | 如果要保护大猩猩的最大利益 |
[15:16] | it’d be to leave it in the wild, right? | 那就应该让它们回归自然 是吗 |
[15:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:19] | Being caged in a primate center | 被关在”灵长动物中心”的笼子里面 |
[15:22] | isn’t such a good thing for the chimpanzees. | 并不符合大猩猩的利益 |
[15:23] | I’m up here talking about one chimpanzee, period. | 我现在关心的是这一只特定的猩猩 |
[15:26] | And that is, no doubt, the truth, isn’t it? | 这才是问题的实质 不是吗 |
[15:28] | You love this ape. | 你很爱这只猩猩 |
[15:29] | I’m not denying that. | 我不否认 |
[15:30] | Like you love your own child. | 就像你爱自己的孩子那样 |
[15:32] | Isn’t that what this is about, doctor? | 这才是关键 对吧 |
[15:33] | It’s not just me loving her. | 不仅仅是我爱她 |
[15:35] | She loves me. | 她也爱我 |
[15:37] | This is a species capable of loving, Mr. Myron. | 它们是懂得爱的物种 Myron先生 |
[15:41] | Capable of sadness, depression. Do you get that? | 它们会悲伤 会忧郁 你明白吗 |
[15:46] | Are apes the only species capable of emotional bonding? | 大猩猩是唯一能够产生感情的物种吗 |
[15:52] | – No. – Dolphins? Elephants? | – 不是 – 海豚呢 大象呢 |
[15:55] | Not nearly to the capacity of the chimpanzee. | 达不到大猩猩那样的程度 |
[15:58] | Yes, but a dolphin does emotionally bond. | 没错 但是海豚也会产生感情 |
[16:02] | An elephant can get depressed. | 大象也会情绪低落 |
[16:04] | I even read a story once about a hog | 我甚至还看过这样的报道 |
[16:07] | that was separated from her owner | 有一只猪和主人分开后 |
[16:09] | and she suffered from severe weight loss | 因为抑郁 体重严重减轻 |
[16:12] | and died due to depression. | 并最终死亡 |
[16:13] | – Would that be possible? – It might be. | – 有这个可能吗 – 有可能 |
[16:15] | So what are we supposed to do? | 那我们该怎么办 |
[16:17] | Just come up with some kind of bonding test? | 发明某种情感测试? |
[16:19] | If the animal passes, | 如果哪个动物通过了测试 |
[16:21] | different rules? | 就享有特殊优待? |
[16:22] | Don’t mock me, Mr. Myron. | 请不要讽刺我 Myron先生 |
[16:24] | I am not mocking you, doctor. | 我不是讽刺你 博士 |
[16:25] | I am just wondering about | 我只是在想 |
[16:27] | the next scientist sitting in that chair | 下次会不会有个科学家来到法庭上说 |
[16:29] | who says, “My pig loves me. You can’t kill her.” | 我的猪爱我 你不能杀她 |
[16:36] | If I fire her, what’s the pulse gonna be around here? | 如果我炒了她 会有什么后果 |
[16:39] | Bad. | 很糟糕 |
[16:40] | Look what she’s done. | 看看她干了什么 |
[16:41] | What she’s stirred up. | 你看她激起的重重矛盾 |
[16:42] | This office was never being about greed. | 我们从来都不是一家贪心的事务所 |
[16:44] | Look, Lindsay’s not about greed either. | Lindsay也并不是个贪心的人 |
[16:46] | We both know that. | 我们都了解 |
[16:48] | You think I’m guilty of bad leadership? | 你也觉得我管理无方吗 |
[16:49] | You talk to Ellenor yet? | 你跟Ellenor谈过没有 |
[16:51] | Going out on interviews. You ask about that? | 她出去面试 你跟她谈过了吗 |
[16:53] | I will. | 我会的 |
[16:55] | You will. | 你会的 |
[16:56] | Bobby, Lindsay’s right. | Bobby Lindsay说得对 |
[16:58] | We don’t have a plan. | 我们没有规划 |
[16:59] | Why do we even really need one? | 我们要规划做什么用 |
[17:01] | We make a living, we’re our own bosses for the most part. | 我们挣钱生活 大部分时候我们自己当老板 |
[17:04] | There’s something to be said for that. | 这样不是挺好吗 |
[17:05] | There is something to be said for owning a house too. | 如果能有自己的房子就更好 |
[17:07] | I got a son, I got his education to think about. | 我有个儿子 我得为他的教育着想 |
[17:10] | College takes money. | 读大学很花钱的 |
[17:11] | Now, if those days are ahead for him, | 考虑到他的未来 |
[17:13] | if those days are ahead for us | 考虑到事务所的未来 |
[17:15] | then Lindsay may be right. | 那么Lindsay就是对的 |
[17:16] | We gotta have a better plan. | 我们必须得有更好的规划 |
[17:18] | She has poisoned this place. | 她带坏了事务所的环境 |
[17:23] | Eugene, I think we should broom her. | Eugene 我觉得应该让她走人 |
[17:28] | We start fresh and then we build a partnership, | 必要的话 我们可以另起炉灶 |
[17:31] | if that’s the answer. | 一起合伙 |
[17:32] | Look, man. Everybody here loves Lindsay. | 兄弟 这里的每一个人都喜欢Lindsay |
[17:36] | Next to Rebecca, | 除了Rebecca之外 |
[17:37] | she’s the closest thing this place has to a conscience. | 她是这里最有正义感的人 |
[17:41] | And you love her too. | 而且你爱他 |
[17:45] | Maybe more than you know. | 或许你自己还没有意识到有多爱她 |
[18:10] | It’s the stupid monkey case. I’m off to court. | 该死的猴子案 我要去上庭了 |
[18:15] | You gonna leave, Ellenor? | Ellenor 你准备走吗 |
[18:18] | I was just seeing what’s out there, Bobby. | Bobby 我只是随便看看 |
[18:20] | People don’t go interview if they don’t plan to leave. | 如果不是真的想走 你肯定不会去面试的 |
[18:23] | Well, if you’ve answered your own question, | 既然你已经有了答案 |
[18:24] | why even bother to ask it? | 那又何必再问呢 |
[18:25] | There’s your answer and there’s my answer. | 你有你的答案 我有我的想法 |
[18:29] | I just think I need to take a good look at | 我只是觉得我需要看看 |
[18:31] | what’s out there. | 外面有些什么机会 |
[18:32] | And maybe take a better look at what’s in here. | 或许再仔细审视一下这里所发生的事情 |
[18:34] | What the hell does that mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[18:36] | It means if you’ve been sleeping with her | 意思是 如果你跟她上过床 |
[18:37] | and there’s been a shift in balance of power I don’t know about | 如果暗地里有什么权力平衡的变动 |
[18:40] | I don’t like it. | 我不喜欢这样 |
[19:13] | Helen said don’t act anxious. | Helen说不要显得太急切 |
[19:15] | I won’t. | 不会的 |
[19:17] | Where’s the meeting? | 在哪里见面 |
[19:18] | Across the street. Coffee shop. | 街对面的咖啡馆 |
[19:26] | – I’m sorry. I’m so… – I’m sorry. | – 对不起 我… – 不好意思 |
[19:28] | Ellenor? Ellenor? | |
[19:29] | – Fred Spivak. – Oh, my God. Fred. | – Fred Spivak – 哦 老天爷 Fred |
[19:32] | I don’t believe it. How are you? | 真不敢相信 你怎么样 |
[19:33] | I’m great. It’s great to see you. | 挺好的 见到你太高兴了 |
[19:36] | What a surprise. | 真是太巧了 |
[19:37] | Last I heard, you were in medical school. | 上次听到你的消息 说你在上医学院 |
[19:39] | Chiropractor. | 理疗师 |
[19:40] | and you, I saw you on TV once. You’re a lawyer. | 我在电视上看到过你 你当了律师 |
[19:42] | – Guilty. – You were defending some porn queen. | – 罪过 – 你在给某个色情女星辩护 |
[19:44] | someone being charged with murder. | 她被指控犯了谋杀罪 |
[19:45] | Yup, guilty again. But she was innocent. | 嗯 又是罪过 不过她是清白的 |
[19:49] | You look great. | 你看上去很棒 |
[19:49] | Thank you. You do too. | 谢谢 你也一样啊 |
[19:52] | You know, I gotta go. I’m late for court. | 不好意思 我得走了 我马上要出庭 |
[19:54] | But can I call you? | 回头给你打电话好吗 |
[19:55] | Yes, absolutely. Here, let me give you my card. | 当然 给 这是我的名片 |
[19:58] | It’s great to see you, Fred. | 遇见你真的太高兴了 Fred |
[19:59] | Yeah. | 我也是 |
[20:01] | I will call you, today. | 我一定给你打电话 就今天 |
[20:03] | Terrific. | 好极了 |
[20:06] | So, what’s gonna happen? | 那么 下一步怎么办 |
[20:07] | I don’t know. | 我也不知道 |
[20:08] | I mean, we’ll have another big meeting, | 我们会再开个重大会议 |
[20:09] | it’ll probably turn into a shout-fest | 可能又会大吵大闹 |
[20:11] | Bobby will run off and buy a new suit, | Bobby会跑去买件新西装 |
[20:13] | and everything will stay the same. | 然后一切还是维持原样 |
[20:14] | Then leave. Come here. It’s fun. | 那就辞职吧 到我这里来 可有意思了 |
[20:16] | We might even get to bring the death penalty back. | 我们说不定还能恢复死刑呢 |
[20:20] | You’re not smiling. | 不好笑吗 |
[20:22] | Helen Helen. | |
[20:25] | You think you and Bobby will get back together? | 你跟Bobby有没有可能重归旧好 |
[20:29] | Oh, boy. | 哦 天哪 |
[20:31] | Nothing’s gonna happen between us. | 我们之间什么都不会发生 |
[20:33] | But I think I’m in love with him. | 但是我觉得我爱上他了 |
[20:36] | Don’t ask me to say it twice. | 不要让我再说一次 |
[20:41] | Bobby and I are over. | Bobby跟我已经结束了 |
[20:42] | Don’t get all diplomatic with me, okay? | 不要跟我玩外交辞令 行不 |
[20:44] | You know, you’re the one he wants, not me, | 要知道 他想要的人是你 不是我 |
[20:45] | which is fine, you know, I’m okay with it. | 我不介意 老实说 我觉得没什么 |
[20:47] | But what I’m not okay with is staying there | 但我介意的是你想要他 |
[20:49] | if you want him, you know? | 而我却和他在一起 明白吗 |
[20:50] | Because then it’ll be messy, you know? | 因为这样一来就太混乱了 明白吗 |
[20:53] | If the two of you have a future | 如果你们俩有可能在一起 |
[20:55] | just don’t feed me that unselfish diplomatic crap, okay? | 别跟我来那套无私退让的鬼话 行吗 |
[20:58] | Who’s feeding who crap? | 到底是谁在说鬼话 |
[21:01] | If Bobby and I have a future, you’ll quit the firm? | 如果Bobby跟我有可能在一起 你就辞职? |
[21:04] | What are you? | 你以为自己是谁啊 |
[21:05] | a cross between Cupid and Glinda, the Good Witch of the North? | 丘比特? 北方的善良女巫? 【注:”绿野仙踪”的角色】 |
[21:08] | – Oh, shut up. – Don’t tell me to shut up. | -哦 闭嘴 -不要叫我闭嘴 |
[21:10] | If you love the guy, be a woman about it. | 如果你真爱他 那就按女人的方式去抢 |
[21:12] | Claw my eyes out. | 把我的眼珠挖出来 |
[21:15] | I’d do it to you. | 我就会这么干 |
[21:18] | Okay, he’s not even into me, Helen. | 他对我完全没兴趣 Helen |
[21:20] | You know, nothing’s gonna happen anyway. | 所以 什么事情都不会发生 |
[21:24] | What you’re saying is, | 你的意思是 |
[21:25] | if there’s anything between Bobby and me, you’ll leave? | 如果Bobby跟我还有机会 你就离开? |
[21:31] | And if there isn’t, you’ll stay | 如果没有 你就留下 |
[21:32] | and let things fall where they would fall? | 让事情顺其自然? |
[21:35] | Basically. | 差不多吧 |
[21:37] | Well, Bobby and I are over. | 嗯 Bobby跟我已经结束了 |
[21:46] | You love him. | 你爱他 |
[21:52] | What’s my cut? | 我能得多少 |
[21:52] | 20% Twenty percent. | |
[21:54] | Twenty? My contingency is 33. | 20? 我的风险代理提成是33 |
[21:56] | Why the hell would I… | 我有什么必要… |
[21:57] | We’re not asking you to build the case. We give it to you. | 我们不要求你组织证据 我们会帮你做好 |
[21:59] | – Liability and damages. – Even so. | -责任和损害 -即便如此 |
[22:03] | Rebecca said this is up your alley. | Rebecca说这是你的专业领域 |
[22:05] | My alley’s real-estate loans, banking. | 我的专业领域是房地产贷款 银行业务 |
[22:09] | This is a lot easier than that. | 我们这个简单多了 |
[22:12] | Okay. But I don’t wanna know nothing. | 好吧 但是我不想知道得太多 |
[22:15] | More coffee? | 再来点咖啡? |
[22:20] | You tell your patients to just give me the bills | 你只要叫你的病人把账单给我 |
[22:22] | and the version of how it happened. | 从他们的角度陈述事故的经过 |
[22:24] | Yeah, they’re gonna know that you’d know, | 嗯 他们知道你跟我们是一起的 |
[22:25] | that’s why I’d be sending them. | 所以我才让他们去找你 |
[22:27] | I just don’t want it said plain. | 他们不能说得太露骨 |
[22:29] | They wanna wink, fine. | 如果他们要使个眼色什么的 没问题 |
[22:31] | But my ass stays covered. | 但是不能把我牵连进去 |
[22:34] | Okay. Got it. | 好的 明白 |
[22:37] | So how do we go from here? | 那么 我们怎么开始着手 |
[22:39] | Roland Mapp will come and see you. | Roland Mapp会跟你见个面 |
[22:42] | He’s the guy? | 他是老板? |
[22:42] | Right. He’ll wanna check out your place of work. | 对 他想看看你工作的地方 |
[22:45] | Listen, if you think you can cut a better deal, | 听着 如果你觉得能谈成更好的条件 |
[22:47] | go ahead. | 自己跟他谈 |
[22:52] | We can continue with this case if we want, | 我们可以继续审这个案子 |
[22:54] | but I just have to ask. | 但是我必须问一句 |
[22:56] | This can’t be bringing anybody good publicity. | 这对大家的影响都不好 |
[22:59] | If she’s willing to buy the monkey… | 如果她想买下这只猴子… |
[23:02] | Chimpanzee. | 大猩猩 |
[23:03] | Whatever. | 管它是什么 |
[23:04] | Your Honor, these chimpanzees cost about $20,000. | 法官阁下 这些猩猩大概值2万块 |
[23:09] | Could you really afford to buy her? | 你真的买得起吗 |
[23:10] | No, but maybe I could raise the money. | 买不起 但是我可以借钱 |
[23:13] | Second, if we open the door to the idea | 其次 如果我们开了这个先例 |
[23:15] | that they could be bought, watch out. | 它们可以被卖 后果很严重 |
[23:17] | Why? | 为什么 |
[23:18] | Because animal groups all over will be starting trust funds. | 因为各地的动物保护组织就会设立基金会 |
[23:21] | Research cannot be contaminated by politics or… | 科学研究不应该受到政治或… |
[23:25] | The bottom line is, this is a research animal | 归根结底 这是一只研究动物 |
[23:27] | and they’re asking you to treat it otherwise. | 而他们在要求你不要把它当作研究动物 |
[23:29] | And if you do, what about the next chimp? | 如果你照办了 那下一个猩猩怎么办 |
[23:30] | And the one after that? | 再下一个呢 |
[23:31] | I’d like you to meet her. | 我想请你见见她 |
[23:32] | – Who? – Tina, | -见谁 -Tina |
[23:34] | I’d like you to meet the research animal we’re talking about. | 我想请你见见我们争议的这只研究动物 |
[23:36] | She could be brought here, right? | 我们可以把她带过来 对吧 |
[23:38] | Absolutely. | 当然 |
[23:39] | I’m afraid of monkeys. | 我怕猴子 |
[23:41] | We all know her fate if she goes into | 如果她被用于生物医学研究 |
[23:42] | the world of biomedical research. | 我们都知道她的下场会是怎样 |
[23:44] | Is it too inhuman of us to spend | 就占用大家15分钟的时间 |
[23:46] | 15 minutes with her first? | 这不算太过分吧 |
[23:52] | – Two o’clock. – Your Honor… | – 两点钟 -法官阁下… |
[23:53] | – Come on. – Two o’clock, I’ll meet with the ape. | – 不是吧 -两点钟 我要见这个猩猩 |
[23:58] | In chambers? | 在办公室? |
[23:59] | You’re bringing a baboon to chambers? | 你要带个狒狒去法官办公室? |
[24:00] | – Chimpanzee. – Did we get any money on this? | – 是猩猩 – 我们收到律师费了吗 |
[24:03] | You know, Eugene, not everything is about money. | Eugene 不是所有的事情都是为了钱 |
[24:04] | Just ask Lindsay. | 不信你问Lindsay |
[24:05] | You can bite me twice. | 你有意见就说 |
[24:11] | Okay. First, this is my firm. | 这样 首先 这是我的事务所 |
[24:14] | I started it, it’ll always be more mine than anybody else’s. | 是我创立的 控制权始终在我手上 |
[24:17] | Second i’m not about to change the way we operate. | 第二 我不会改变运作方式 |
[24:19] | This is what it is. | 我们就是这样的事务所 |
[24:20] | No management committees, no administrative partners. | 不设管理委员会 不设行政合伙人 |
[24:23] | We see a case we want, we take it. | 有我们感兴趣的案子 我们就接 |
[24:26] | Third? | 第三呢 |
[24:28] | There’s gotta be a third. | 你肯定还有第三要说吧 |
[24:30] | Third, I need your commitment. | 第三 我需要你们的奉献精神 |
[24:34] | To get it, I’m willing to commit back. | 为此 我愿意付出回报 |
[24:37] | I’ll waive buy-in starting today, | 基于资深合伙人的地位 |
[24:39] | based on seniority. | 我从今天开始放弃优先入伙 |
[24:40] | Eugene, you get 12 percent, Ellenor, 10 | Eugene 你分12% Ellenor 10% |
[24:42] | Lindsay 8% Rebecca 5% Lindsay, 8, Rebecca, 5. | |
[24:44] | Jimmy, in another year, you start at 8. | Jimmy 一年之后 你可以得到8% |
[24:46] | Voting rights. I get two, the rest of you get one. | 投票权方面 我有两票 你们每人一票 |
[24:49] | That’s as fair as I get. | 我觉得这样安排比较公平 |
[24:51] | Lindsay, since you’ve been such a catalyst | Lindsay 既然你这么热心 |
[24:53] | I’ll put you in charge of drafting the papers. | 我指派你负责起草协议 |
[24:56] | Any questions? | 有问题吗 |
[24:58] | Good. | 很好 |
[24:59] | I got a question. | 我有个问题 |
[25:03] | Why do I gotta wait a year? | 为什么我还要等一年 |
[25:07] | Jimmy, you’ve only been here a year and a half. | Jimmy 你到事务所才一年半 |
[25:09] | You’ll get equity after been here only two and a half years. | 你会在两年半的时候就成为合伙人 |
[25:11] | Where else could you do that? | 你到哪里去找这样的事务所 |
[25:17] | Anybody else have a complaint? | 还有谁有意见 |
[25:33] | She won’t hurt you. | 她不会伤害你的 |
[25:37] | I think she’s just being shy. She gets shy. | 我觉得她只是有点怕羞 她很怕羞 |
[25:41] | Which I might add something else to consider, | 我也希望你在裁决的时候考虑这个因素 |
[25:43] | she’s capable of shyness. | 她知道怕羞 |
[25:44] | Oh, boy, can you spin. | 哦 老天爷 你真能扯 |
[25:46] | Maybe she’s just pleading the Fifth. | 也许她是在援引第五修正案 【注:即沉默权】 |
[25:48] | You know what? We don’t need that. | 你没必要这么说 |
[25:50] | How old is she? | 她几岁了 |
[25:51] | She’s 5. | 五岁 |
[25:53] | And her intelligence would be? | 她的智力水平如何 |
[25:56] | The same as a 3-year-old. | 相当于三岁 |
[25:57] | – Human? – Human, yes. | – 三岁的人类? -人类 是的 |
[25:59] | Tina? Tell the judge hello. | Tina 跟法官打个招呼 |
[26:02] | Tell her your name. Go ahead. | 告诉她你叫什么名字 乖 |
[26:04] | Here, try this. | 给 试试这个 |
[26:18] | Would you like a banana, Tina? | 你吃不吃香蕉 Tina? |
[26:23] | She just flipped me off. | 她向我竖中指 |
[26:25] | No, no. She didn’t. | 没 没 她没有 |
[26:26] | Doctor, I know when I’m being flipped off. Bad monkey. | 博士 我看见她向我竖中指 坏猴子 |
[26:29] | Hey, hey, hey. | 嘿 嘿 嘿 |
[26:32] | Okay, that’ll do. | 行了 够了 |
[26:35] | Tina, stop it! | Tina 住手 |
[26:36] | – Tina, no. – Sit down. | – Tina 别这样 -坐下 |
[26:41] | Very, very bad monkey. | 坏猴子 坏猴子 |
[26:45] | She’s a little bitch. | 她是个小贱货 |
[26:49] | It is not funny. We are trying to save her life. | 这并不好笑 我们是在挽救她的生命 |
[26:53] | Well, you do get some interesting cases, Ellenor. | 你确实做了些有趣的案子 Ellenor |
[26:56] | I wish I did. | 真希望我的工作也这么有趣 |
[26:58] | It’s not fun being a chiropractor? | 做理疗师很没意思吗 |
[27:01] | I can’t say everything turned out, | 老实说 事情并不像我想象的 |
[27:02] | you know, the way I thought or hoped. | 或希望的那么顺利 |
[27:05] | You know, you’re not too old to switch careers. | 现在转行对你来说也不算太晚啊 |
[27:07] | Thanks. I know that’s meant to flatter me, but… | 谢谢 我知道你是想鼓励我 不过 |
[27:09] | No, I’ve got alimony and child support. | 不行 我要支付前妻和孩子的抚养费 |
[27:12] | How many kids do you have? | 你有几个孩子 |
[27:13] | Two. | 两个 |
[27:14] | Great ones. Live with their mom. | 都很棒 跟他们的妈妈过 |
[27:16] | You get to see them? | 你可以见他们吗 |
[27:17] | Yeah, I coach Little League. | 嗯 我在小联盟当教练 【注:一个组织棒球和垒球运动的非盈利团体】 |
[27:18] | My oldest, Kevin, plays for me. | 我的长子Kevin在我的队里 |
[27:20] | In the spring, I see him every day. | 春季的时候 我每天都能见到他 |
[27:21] | That’s great. | 那太好了 |
[27:22] | You? None for you? | 你呢 没有孩子吗 |
[27:24] | No. I’m waiting for that perfect guy to come along, you know. | 没有 我还在等那个完美先生出现 |
[27:27] | Yeah. Ellie, you know those stories you hear about | Ellie 你知道人们总是说 |
[27:29] | how children change your life? | 孩子会改变你的生活 |
[27:31] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[27:32] | All true. | 绝对属实 |
[27:33] | It sounds like you love them. | 看来你很爱他们 |
[27:44] | I’m going, so you’ll have to lock up. | 我要走了 你记得锁门 |
[27:46] | Okay. | 好的 |
[27:49] | I’m just a secretary, you know. | 我只不过是个行政人员 |
[27:51] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[27:54] | Why are you making me a partner? | 你为什么让我当合伙人 |
[27:58] | Because you’re not just a secretary. | 因为你不仅仅是个行政人员 |
[28:02] | I don’t even think it’s legal technically, | 让不是律师的人当合伙人 |
[28:04] | to make a non-lawyer a partner. | 我觉得这根本都不合法 |
[28:06] | Sue me. | 我乐意 |
[28:09] | Bobby, you don’t have to do this. | Bobby 你用不着这么做 |
[28:12] | Splitting up the pie, that was the difficult decision. | 把蛋糕分掉 这是个艰难的决定 |
[28:14] | Giving some of it to you? That was easy. | 分一部分给你 很容易 |
[28:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:23] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[28:26] | How’s that…That sting thing going? | 你们那个…那个诱捕的计划怎么样了 |
[28:30] | Pretty good. | 相当顺利 |
[28:35] | Bobby Bobby? | |
[28:41] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:58] | Do you really have to tell her? | 你真的一定要告诉她吗 |
[29:00] | Ellenor, if we lose, | Ellenor 如果我们输了 |
[29:02] | she goes tonight. | 她今天晚上就得走 |
[29:03] | I have to prepare her. | 我必须让她有所准备 |
[29:06] | I thought she sort of already knows. | 我感觉她好像已经知道了 |
[29:09] | She doesn’t know tonight. | 她不知道是在今天晚上 |
[29:12] | Katherine. Cards on the table? | Katherine 跟我说实话 |
[29:16] | Excuse me? | 什么意思 |
[29:17] | Obviously, you do love her. | 显然 你真的很爱她 |
[29:19] | Is this more about that, or are these animals really… | 是因为这个原因 还是这些动物真的… |
[29:22] | They’re different, Ellenor. | 它们不一样 Ellenor |
[29:24] | I’m not denying loving her. | 我不否认我爱她 |
[29:26] | But you know we used to say | 你知道 我们一直说 |
[29:27] | that what separated humans | 使人类区别于其它所有物种的 |
[29:29] | from all other species was language. That isn’t true anymore. | 正是语言 其实不是这么回事 |
[29:33] | Brain scans show | 大脑扫描显示 |
[29:34] | they have the same brain architecture | 它们拥有和我们一样的 |
[29:36] | as we do for language. And yet… | 负责语言的大脑构造 可是… |
[29:42] | I’d better tell her. | 我最好告诉她 |
[29:44] | Do you want me to leave you alone? | 需要我让你们单独呆着吗 |
[29:46] | Actually, no. | 其实不用 |
[29:47] | She’s a little bit more stoic in front of strangers. | 有陌生人在场她会显得冷静一点 |
[29:50] | It’ll make it easier for me. | 我也就好应付一些 |
[29:51] | I don’t want her to see me getting… | 我不想让她看到我… |
[30:02] | Tina? We talked before. | Tina? 我们之前说过 |
[30:06] | You maybe have to go live with somebody else. | 你可能不得不去跟其他人一起生活 |
[30:14] | Yes. You maybe have to go soon. | 是的 你可能很快就要走 |
[30:21] | Tonight. | 今天晚上 |
[30:27] | No, that’s not why. | 不 不是这个原因 |
[30:30] | I do love you. | 我真的爱你 |
[30:52] | Jimmy? Jimmy? Jimmy? Jimmy? | |
[30:53] | Roland Mapp, he just called. | Roland Mapp 他刚打电话过来 |
[30:55] | Okay. | 好的 |
[30:56] | Eleven o’clock, the guy’s coming. Now… | 十一点 他会到这里来 现在… |
[30:57] | are we ready? Is the room ready? | 我们准备好了吗 会议室准备好了吗 |
[30:59] | It’s all set. | 都准备好了 |
[31:00] | – Okay. Don’t push it. – I won’t. | – 好 不要太急切 – 我知道 |
[31:02] | If you’re too anxious… | 如果你显得太急切… |
[31:03] | I ain’t gonna be too anxious, Rebecca. | 我不会太急切 Rebecca |
[31:05] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[31:06] | Big sting, 11:00. The guy’s coming. | 大诱捕计划 十一点 那家伙要过来 |
[31:08] | I should call Helen. | 我该给Helen打电话 |
[31:10] | You need any backup? | 你需要后援吗 |
[31:12] | No, I’d better go it alone. | 不 我最好单独参与 |
[31:27] | I can do it alone. I don’t need backup. | 我自己能搞定 我不需要后援 |
[31:31] | – Fine. – Fine? | – 行 – 行? |
[31:33] | I appreciate the confidence. | 你对我真有信心 |
[31:35] | What’s that about? | 又怎么了 |
[31:37] | You make the others partner. | 你让其他人都升成合伙人 |
[31:37] | Me, I gotta wait. | 我却还要等 |
[31:39] | You don’t trust me with cases, | 你也不交案子给我办 |
[31:40] | I gotta dig them up myself. | 我只能自己去找案子 |
[31:42] | I’m a little sick of it all. | 我已经受够了 |
[31:44] | Hold it. Close the door, Jimmy. | 且慢 把门关上 Jimmy |
[31:48] | There isn’t a single law firm in this city | 在全市 你找不到任何一家事务所 |
[31:50] | that would give you equity inside three years. | 会在三年内让你当上合伙人 |
[31:52] | You could be on the street that long | 你能不能在三年内找到一家 |
[31:54] | finding one that would even hire you. | 愿意雇你的事务所都很难说 |
[31:56] | Ellenor, Eugene and Lindsay | Ellenor Eugene和Lindsay |
[31:58] | have helped build this place. | 是创办事务所的元老 |
[32:00] | Giving them partnership | 如果把你也升成合伙人 |
[32:01] | would be meaningless if I also gave it to you. | 那他们的合伙人就完全没意义了 |
[32:04] | I’m sorry to say it, but you need to hear it. | 我也不想说这些 但这是实话 |
[32:08] | I’m gonna see this sting thing through | 我会把这个诱捕计划完成 |
[32:11] | and then I quit. | 然后就辞职 |
[32:13] | Go ahead. If you’re not happy, quit. | 随便你 如果你不高兴 辞职好了 |
[32:16] | I’m tired of trying to make everybody happy around here. | 我受够了取悦这里的每一个人 |
[32:24] | Last week, a colleague of mine stomped a rat | 上个星期 我有个同事踩死了一只老鼠 |
[32:26] | to death and I cheered. | 我为她喝彩 |
[32:30] | Don’t get me wrong, I love animals. | 别误会 我热爱动物 |
[32:31] | You would never catch me wearing a fur coat. | 你永远不会看到我穿皮草 |
[32:34] | But I do know the food chain. | 但是我理解自然界的食物链 |
[32:39] | I’ve had friends die of cancer, AIDS | 我有朋友死于癌症 死于艾滋病 |
[32:42] | and I’m in favor of using animals in laboratories | 我也赞成用动物来作实验 |
[32:45] | if it will help us find a cure for these terrible diseases. | 只要能够帮助我们治疗这些可怕的疾病 |
[32:49] | But at some point, we do have to draw a line. | 但是在某个时候 我们确实需要划个界限 |
[32:52] | Where? I don’t know. | 划在哪里 我不知道 |
[32:55] | I would make for a very lousy judge. | 我会是一个很蹩脚的法官 |
[32:58] | But we all met Tina, didn’t we? | 但是我们都见过Tina 不是吗 |
[33:01] | If an animal can think | 如果某个动物会思考 |
[33:03] | if it can put a noun together | 如果它能够把名词和动词组合起来 |
[33:05] | with a verb and communicate | 用来交流 |
[33:07] | if it can feel and if it can love | 如果它懂得感受 懂得爱 |
[33:10] | if it is smart enough to understand a little | 如果它聪明到能够粗浅地理解 |
[33:12] | what this hearing is about | 这场听证会的目的 |
[33:14] | smart enough to look right back at you and ask why | 聪明到能够正视着你 问你这是为什么 |
[33:18] | And when she does ask why, | 当它问道”这是为什么” |
[33:19] | if our only answer is that: | 如果我们的回答只是 |
[33:21] | “Well, we’re human and you’re not” | 嗯 我们是人 而你不是 |
[33:24] | there’s something wrong. | 这是不对的 |
[33:27] | We’d never send a 2-year-old child | 我们绝不会把两岁的孩子送到实验室 |
[33:28] | to some laboratory for medical research. | 去做医学研究 |
[33:30] | Not just because, under the Constitution, | 不仅仅是因为根据宪法 |
[33:33] | a human child has rights | 人类的孩子享有权利 |
[33:35] | but because it would be unthinkable. | 还因为这本身就是不可想象的 |
[33:39] | So why doesn’t the same principle apply here? | 那么同样的原则为什么不能适用于本案呢 |
[33:44] | Because she’s inhuman? | 因为她不是人? |
[33:47] | Well, there’s inhuman, Your Honor, | 的确没有人性 法官阁下 |
[33:50] | and there’s inhuman. | 的确没有人性 |
[34:04] | Counsel presented a persuasive moral argument. | 对方律师提出了有说服力的道德论述 |
[34:07] | But that’s all it was, a moral one. | 但是仅此而已 道德论述 |
[34:10] | And as she’s admitted, legally, they lose. | 正如她自己所承认的 法律上 他们输了 |
[34:14] | Unless I’m willing to reexamine the law. | 我可以对相关的法律进行审查 |
[34:17] | You could do that, but talk about your slippery slope. | 你的确可以 但是要考虑这么做的后果 |
[34:21] | Your Honor, no matter how… | 法官阁下 无论… |
[34:24] | However moral we try to paint humanity | 无论我们想把人性描绘得多么道德 |
[34:27] | we are a species that kills animals for food | 我们始终都会杀掉动物来作为食物 |
[34:30] | for clothing, for belts, shoes, pocketbooks. | 来制作衣服 皮带 鞋子 钱包 |
[34:34] | We kill them for medical research | 我们为了医学研究杀掉它们 |
[34:36] | and we kill them for sport. | 为了竞技体育杀掉它们 |
[34:38] | But once you start saying: | 一旦你开始提出 |
[34:39] | “Oh, no, no, no. Certain animals should be exempt | 哦 不行 不行 某些动物不能杀 |
[34:42] | because they’re smarter” | 因为它们更聪明 |
[34:45] | well, good luck. | 那么 祝你好运 |
[34:48] | I mean, what kind of test do we apply here? | 我是说 我们究竟采用什么标准来划分呢 |
[34:49] | DNA? Intelligence, emotional capacity? | DNA? 智力? 情感? |
[34:53] | I’m… We’re talking opening a floodgate, here. | 我…我们今天讨论的是打开一扇闸门 |
[34:57] | I could open the gate only for the chimpanzee. | 我可以只为大猩猩开这扇门 |
[35:00] | Yes, but then here comes the Save the Whale Foundation | 是的 但是接下来”保护鲸类基金会”就会来 |
[35:03] | calling you arbitrary. | 指责你武断 |
[35:06] | The animal world, it’s wonderful. | 动物世界 精彩纷呈 |
[35:08] | And it’s just full of miracles | 充满奇迹 |
[35:10] | and reasons for us to just leave them alone. | 有理由让我们远离它们 |
[35:13] | Look at every species, | 在每一类物种身上 |
[35:14] | and you’ll find something miraculous | 你都会发现某些神奇之处 |
[35:16] | something that says, “Don’t sacrifice that life.” | 你会想说 “不要牺牲这条生命” |
[35:21] | But in a court of law, | 但是在法庭上 |
[35:23] | we deal with the human race, Your Honor. | 我们只考虑人类 法官阁下 |
[35:27] | Like it or not, this arena, | 不管喜欢与否 这个法庭 |
[35:30] | it’s about human rights. | 它只涉及人类的权利 |
[35:33] | And just as you said at the beginning of all of this: | 正如你在最开头所说的 |
[35:36] | “She’s a monkey.” | 她只是个猴子 |
[35:42] | Once we get a record of treatment, we’re in the clear. | 只要我们拿到医疗记录 后面就好办了 |
[35:45] | Okay, and the check comes in. | 好 然后我就可以收钱了 |
[35:47] | So, when do I see mine? | 那么 我什么时候能收到钱 |
[35:48] | You gotta get power of attorney. | 你要有授权委托书 |
[35:50] | All the payments are gonna be made out to you. | 所有的赔偿款都会付给你 |
[35:52] | I’m not sure I’m comfortable with that kind of paper trail. | 留下这样的书面记录 我觉得有点不妥 |
[35:55] | Look, we can’t count on the client to cut and divvy. | 我们不能指望当事人会积极地付钱 |
[35:59] | Look, you pay me in cash. I pay the doctor. | 你交现金给我 我交给医生 |
[36:04] | That’s a no-go. | 这样不行 |
[36:07] | You see who I’m in practice with here? | 你看这家事务所的老板是谁 |
[36:09] | Bobby Donnell. He’s pretty high-profile. | Bobby Donnell 他很有点名气 |
[36:12] | He doesn’t have to know a thing. | 我们什么都不用让他知道 |
[36:14] | All he knows is these are your clients. | 他只知道这些人是你的当事人 |
[36:17] | That doesn’t bring exposure to you or anybody else here. | 不会给你和事务所的其他人带来风险 |
[36:21] | – I’ve never had a law firm… – He’s pretty good. | – 我从来没有让哪家事务所… -他相当不错 |
[36:23] | Yes, he is. | 嗯 他是不错 |
[36:26] | So we’ll start with Rebecca, | 那我们就从Rebecca开始 |
[36:28] | see how it goes? | 看看情况怎么样? |
[36:32] | Okay. | 好 |
[36:34] | All rise. | 全体起立 |
[36:40] | Be seated. | 请坐 |
[36:49] | I didn’t much care for the personality of your little ape. | 我不太关心你的小猩猩的性格 |
[36:53] | And Mr. Myron, you’re right. | Myron先生 你说得对 |
[36:55] | The human race rules on the planet and in this room. | 人类统治着这个星球 统治这个法庭 |
[36:59] | But as such, I think judges | 但是同样的 我认为法官 |
[37:02] | are allowed to be human once in a while. | 也能时不时地发扬一点人性 |
[37:09] | I looked into her eyes. | 我曾正视她的眼睛 |
[37:13] | I’m not going to be the one to send her off to be experimented on. | 我不能让她从我手上被送去当实验品 |
[37:17] | Dr. Nesbit, we need to work out a restitution plan | Nesbit博士 我们要提个赔偿方案出来 |
[37:19] | but you get custody. Adjourned. | 不过你可以取得监护权 休庭 |
[37:33] | I mean, I’ve had wins. I’ve had big wins. | 我是说 我打赢过案子 我赢过大案子 |
[37:35] | But for a monkey, I’m almost crying. | 但是帮猴子打 我差点哭出来了 |
[37:38] | Right. Can it be overturned? | 是啊 有没有可能被推翻 |
[37:39] | No, they’re not gonna appeal. | 不会 他们不准备上诉 |
[37:42] | Speaking of which, I have the court order. | 说到这里 我收到法庭的指令 |
[37:44] | I’m supposed to meet the doctor down at the center, so… | 我该去中心跟博士碰面 所以… |
[37:47] | Thank you very much for dinner. | 谢谢你的晚餐 |
[37:49] | Can I see you again? | 我们可以再见面吗 |
[37:51] | I would love that. | 我很乐意 |
[37:52] | – Great. – Great. | -好极了 -很好 |
[37:53] | Okay. I’ll call. | 好的 我给你电话 |
[38:00] | – Bye. Okay. – Bye. | – 再见 – 再见 |
[38:21] | So basically, you just play it out. | 基本上 你只要把戏演完 |
[38:23] | and as much as you can, play it out in that room. | 尽你所能 在那里把戏演完 |
[38:25] | Okay. | 没问题 |
[38:26] | And no need to rush it. | 不要太迫切 |
[38:28] | – Just let it take its own course. – All right. | – 顺其自然就好 – 好的 |
[38:30] | All right. | 好的 |
[38:34] | Thanks, Jimmy. | 谢谢你 Jimmy |
[38:35] | For all the bad blood, you know… | 过去那些不愉快 你知道… |
[38:37] | We’re on the same side now. | 我们现在是一条战线的了 |
[38:39] | Yeah. Yeah, right. I’ll be in touch. | 嗯 是啊 没错 保持联络 |
[38:49] | I don’t want you to quit. | 我不希望你辞职 |
[38:53] | I don’t wanna lose you. | 我不想失去你 |
[39:03] | I do believe in you. | 我对你有信心 |
[39:06] | And I do believe that you’ll be a good partner. | 我也相信你会成为一个好的合伙人 |
[39:09] | But when you get it, you’ll feel better knowing | 但是你要通过自己的努力成为合伙人 |
[39:12] | you earned it. | 这样你才更有成就感 |
[39:17] | I’m tired of being the brunt. | 我受够了被人瞧不起 |
[39:21] | I know I brought a lot of it on myself | 我知道很大程度上是因为 |
[39:22] | with the commercial | 我打了那个广告 |
[39:25] | but I’ve been doing good work here. | 但是我的工作一直很出色 |
[39:28] | Without a doubt. | 我毫不怀疑 |
[39:32] | And… | 还有… |
[39:34] | I don’t like being told to shut up. | 我不喜欢别人让我闭嘴 |
[39:36] | I don’t like everybody calling me “Big Head.” | 我不喜欢每个人都叫我”大头鬼” |
[39:39] | And I don’t like being laughed at. | 我不喜欢被人取笑 |
[39:44] | Maybe I haven’t earned partner yet, | 也许我还没有资格成为合伙人 |
[39:46] | but I’ve earned respect | 但是我有资格得到尊重 |
[39:48] | and I want it. | 我需要尊重 |
[39:50] | Jimmy, everybody kids you | Jimmy 大家都跟你开玩笑 |
[39:51] | because they adore you. | 是因为他们喜欢你 |
[39:55] | Don’t you know that? | 你难道不明白吗 |
[40:00] | I’m not a pet. | 我又不是宠物 |
[40:14] | I do plan on paying for her. | 我的确计划买下她 |
[40:17] | I know. | 我知道 |
[40:19] | Kathy, I don’t agree with this ruling | Kathy 我不赞成这个裁决 |
[40:20] | and publicly, I’ll dissent. | 在公开场合 我会表示反对 |
[40:23] | But privately… | 但私底下… |
[40:24] | Now you tell us. | 说心里话吧 |
[40:27] | You take very good care of her. | 好好照顾她 |
[40:29] | I will. | 我会的 |
[40:38] | Tina? You, me, together. | Tina? 你 我 在一起 |
[41:10] | Think the place’ll change? | 你觉得事务所会改变吗 |
[41:12] | A little, but that’s the point. | 会有一点 不过只有一点 |
[41:13] | In spirit, we won’t change. | 在精神上 我们不会变 |
[41:15] | How about with you and me? | 那你跟我呢 |
[41:17] | What? | 什么 |
[41:21] | You’re my best friend, Lindsay. | 你是我最好的朋友 Lindsay |
[41:23] | Whatever happens with you and Bobby | 无论你跟Bobby之间发生什么 |
[41:25] | It won’t affect you and me. | 都不会影响我们俩的关系 |