时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | Everybody else is going. | 其他人都要去 |
[00:05] | I don’t care, you’re not. | 我不管 你不能去 |
[00:07] | – Dad? – No, never mind Dad. | -爸 – 别管你爸说啥 |
[00:08] | You’re not going on an unsupervised camping trip. | 没人监督的野营 我不能让你去 |
[00:11] | In a backyard, Mom. | 妈 是在别人的院子里 |
[00:12] | A large backyard. | 非常大的院子 |
[00:13] | Billy’s older brother is… | Billy的哥哥会… |
[00:14] | – Billy’s brother is 15. – Can we just eat please? | – Billy的哥哥只有15岁 – 大家专心吃饭成吗? |
[00:16] | That is not supervision for nine 13-year-olds, | 在九个13岁的孩子面前 他算不上监护人 |
[00:18] | – I’m sorry. – Is it just overnight? | -很抱歉 -只呆一个晚上吗 |
[00:20] | Girls and boys. No, I’m sorry. | 有男孩有女孩 很抱歉 不行 |
[00:22] | – I’m so sick of never being able to… – Kevin. | – 太恶心了 我从来不能… – Kevin |
[00:24] | She treats me like I’m 10. | 她把我当十岁小孩 |
[00:26] | – I’m treating you like you’re 13. – It’s ridiculous. | – 我把你当13岁的孩子 – 你简直不可理喻 |
[00:28] | Don’t speak to me in that tone of voice, young man. | 不要用那种口气跟我说话 年轻人 |
[00:30] | Benny Ray’s going. Kyle Tanner’s going. | Benny Ray要去 Kyle Tanner也要去 |
[00:33] | Kevin, I don’t care what they’re doing. | Kevin 我不管他们做什么 |
[00:34] | If he jumped off a bridge, would you? | 如果他跳河 你也跳吗 |
[00:36] | Shut up, Carol. | 闭嘴 Carol |
[00:37] | Unacceptable. | 不能接受 |
[00:38] | The other kids think I’m a joke. because I always… | 其他人会把我当成个笑料 因为我永远… |
[00:40] | We’re not talking about the others. | 我们不讨论其他人的事 |
[00:42] | – Why do I have… – That is enough. | – 为什么我要… – 够了 |
[00:44] | You don’t talk to your mother that way. | 你不能那样跟你妈说话 |
[00:51] | It’s a bunch of kids in an overnight tent. | 只是一帮孩子在帐篷里过夜 |
[00:53] | Is it that big of a deal? | 应该没什么大不了的吧 |
[00:54] | Yes, they’re not old enough… | 不行 他们还太小了 |
[00:56] | Will the parents be home inside? | 那家的父母会在家吗 |
[00:58] | John, support me please. | John 我需要你支持我 |
[00:59] | What message do we send, | 这会给孩子什么样的印象 |
[01:01] | if you stomp away, you get what you want? | 你摔桌子走开 就能得偿所愿? |
[01:03] | Mommy’s big on messages. | 妈妈最在意印象了 |
[01:05] | All right, Carol. | 好了 Carol |
[01:07] | Kevin told me to shut up. | Kevin叫我闭嘴 |
[01:08] | And that’s unacceptable. | 那是不能接受的 |
[01:10] | Yes, it is. | 是的 不能那样 |
[01:11] | I think maybe we have to explain the reason | 我觉得也许我们应该跟他讲清楚道理 |
[01:13] | and not always hit him with no. | 而不是一个”不行”就把他堵回去 |
[01:15] | Honey, I did give him a reason. | 亲爱的 我跟他讲道理了 |
[01:16] | He just can’t accept it because all his friends are going. | 只是他听不进去 因为他的好朋友都去 |
[01:23] | No! | 不要 |
[02:34] | Where did you get the gun? | 你的枪从哪里来的 |
[02:38] | The safe. | 保险箱 |
[02:42] | I keep it in a safe upstairs. | 我把它放在楼上的保险箱里 |
[02:46] | Kevin knew the combination in case… | Kevin知道密码 以防… |
[02:56] | You say you didn’t wanna kill her. | 你说你没有想过要杀她 |
[03:00] | What did you think would happen | 你有没有想过如果你对她开枪 |
[03:01] | if you shot her? | 会发生什么后果 |
[03:11] | I was just so mad. | 我就是太生气了 |
[03:18] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[03:30] | What have you done? | 你干了些什么 |
[03:32] | A little facelift, that’s all. | 只是装点一下门面 没什么 |
[03:34] | What’s this? What’s that? | 这是啥 那又是什么 |
[03:35] | None of it works, but it looks like it does. | 这些都是假的 但看起来是真的 |
[03:38] | And the point being? | 你搞这些摆设是想…? |
[03:39] | The point being | 因为这样一来 |
[03:40] | any new client who comes in here will feel confident | 每个走进来的的新客户都会觉得很放心 |
[03:42] | that we have resources. | 会觉得我们实力雄厚 |
[03:43] | I’m afraid of computers. | 我害怕电脑 |
[03:45] | Where’s my stuff? Where’s my photos? | 我的东西呢 我的照片呢 |
[03:47] | I have a meeting with John Monahan | 我约了”克劳彻和邓恩”公司的 |
[03:49] | of Crutcher and Dunn. | John Monahan会面 |
[03:51] | He’s exploring the idea of using us | 他在考虑委托我们事务所 |
[03:53] | for their class-action asbestos. | 代理石棉集体诉讼案 |
[03:54] | Really? | 真的吗 |
[03:55] | They heard about our tobacco cases. | 他们听说了我们代理的烟草公司案 |
[03:57] | Asbestos? | 石棉? |
[03:58] | Plaintiffs. | 代理原告 |
[03:59] | We’d be on the side of merit, Ellenor. | 我们站在正义的一边 Ellenor |
[04:00] | And the case is huge. | 而且这是个大案子 |
[04:01] | You can fill your other ear with metal. | 你可以在另外一只耳朵上挂满金属 |
[04:03] | Funny. | 幽默 |
[04:04] | We need to look like we’re up to it. | 我们需要表现得完全胜任这个案子 |
[04:07] | That what this is about? | 这就是你搞这些花样的目的? |
[04:08] | Partly. | 一定程度上是的 |
[04:08] | They want us to actually try the case? | 他们真的想找我们代理这个案子? |
[04:11] | They want a meeting, | 他们想跟我们见个面 |
[04:12] | but I think that’s what it’s about. | 但我想他们的目的就是谈这个案子 |
[04:18] | Arms up. | 手抬起来 |
[04:24] | I go into appeals this afternoon. | 我今天下午去上诉法院 |
[04:26] | You got the video? | 你拿到录像了? |
[04:27] | We got it. | 拿到了 |
[04:29] | So we have a chance. | 那我们有机会赢了 |
[04:30] | With the video we got a shot, right? | 有了录像我们就有机会了 对吗 |
[04:32] | I’d go so far as to even say a good chance. | 我甚至可以说我们机会挺大的 |
[04:34] | But | 但是 |
[04:35] | courts don’t like to put killers back on the street. | 法庭不喜欢把杀人犯放回大街上 |
[04:37] | But the Constitution, | 但是宪法 |
[04:39] | that’s like sacred to those judges, right? | 对法官来说好像是神圣的 是吧 |
[04:42] | Sacred, I don’t know. | 神圣 我倒不知道 |
[04:44] | But, yeah, most of them have read it. | 但是的确 他们大多是读过的 |
[04:50] | Miss Gamble, | Gamble小姐 |
[04:52] | this boy is an honor student. | 这孩子是个优秀的学生 |
[04:54] | He’s never been caught in the hall without a pass. | 他平时一向都是循规蹈矩的 |
[04:57] | This is a book report he wrote | 这是他去年秋天写的书评 |
[04:59] | about some poetry last fall. | 是关于一首诗的 |
[05:01] | Just take a second and read it. | 请你抽时间看一下 |
[05:03] | This is a good kid. | 他真的是个好孩子 |
[05:06] | Mr. Larson, you’re a friend of the family? | Larson先生 你是他们家的朋友吧 |
[05:08] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[05:09] | I know your firm. | 我知道你的事务所 |
[05:10] | It’s as good as any in this town. | 在本市算是比较好的一家 |
[05:13] | But you’re primarily a civil litigator, right? | 不过你主要是做民事诉讼 对吗 |
[05:15] | I mean no offense. But, | 我无意冒犯 但是 |
[05:18] | well, sometimes friends-of-the-family lawyers | 有时候 由律师朋友来处理这些事情 |
[05:22] | can do more harm than good. | 反而会给帮倒忙 |
[05:23] | This boy’s in a lot of trouble. | 这孩子现在面临极大的麻烦 |
[05:25] | He needs an experienced criminal defense attorney. | 他需要一位经验丰富的刑事辩护律师 |
[05:31] | I appreciate your candor. | 非常感谢你的直言 |
[05:32] | I do plan to find someone… | 我的确打算找一个… |
[05:34] | Well, he should have been in this room from the beginning. | 他应该从一开始就介入这个案子 |
[05:41] | Do you know Bobby Donnell? | 你知道Bobby Donnell吗 |
[05:42] | I’ve certainly heard of him, | 当然听说过 |
[05:43] | and not all good. | 对他的评价可是毁誉参半 |
[05:45] | For this stuff, there’s nobody better. | 在这类案件上 没有比他更好的了 |
[05:46] | What’s more, he doesn’t phone it in. | 更重要的是 他绝不会敷衍了事 |
[05:48] | Call him. | 给他打电话 |
[05:54] | First thing, I’d like to speak to him | 首先 我要跟他谈谈 |
[05:56] | and his dad. | 还有他的父亲 |
[05:58] | Good. | 好的 |
[06:00] | No problem. | 没有问题 |
[06:02] | The boy who shot his mother. | 枪杀母亲的那个孩子 |
[06:04] | Oh, God. | 哦 天哪 |
[06:04] | The paper said it was | 报纸上说是因为 |
[06:05] | because he couldn’t go on some camping trip. | 不准他去参加野营什么的 |
[06:07] | Where do these kids come from? | 这些孩子是从哪里来的 |
[06:09] | How do they get…? | 他们怎么会… |
[06:10] | His own mother? | 他的亲生妈妈? |
[06:12] | Oh, man, | 哇 天哪 |
[06:14] | what happened up here? | 这里怎么大变样了 |
[06:15] | Kendall, you get kicked out of school? | Kendall 你是不是被学校开除了 |
[06:18] | Teacher conference, | 老师开会 |
[06:18] | half days all week. | 这一个星期都只上半天课 |
[06:20] | Hey, what’s up, player? | 嗨 怎么样 伙计? |
[06:22] | Hey, what’s up, man? My mom’s out of town. | 嘿 忙啥呢 老兄 我妈出差去了 |
[06:23] | I’m a menace, right? | 我是个捣蛋鬼 是吧 |
[06:25] | When the cat’s away… | 山中无老虎… |
[06:26] | Red Sox tomorrow night. | 明晚看红袜队比赛 |
[06:28] | Man, this place is the bomb! | 老大 这地方酷毙了 |
[06:30] | Who did it? | 谁弄的 |
[06:31] | Do I hear Kendall or another rat? | 是Kendall在说话 还是另外的小老鼠? |
[06:33] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[06:34] | How you doing? | 你怎么样啊 |
[06:35] | All right. How are you? | 不错啊 你呢 |
[06:36] | Becky Becky | |
[06:37] | you mind me leaving him here for the afternoon? | 下午我让他在这里呆着行不行 |
[06:40] | I gotta be at appeals court at 2. | 我两点钟要去上诉法院 |
[06:42] | No problem. | 没问题 |
[06:42] | Appeals for what? | 什么案子要上诉 |
[06:43] | Sholey. The shooter on those teenagers. | Sholey 枪杀少年的那个 |
[06:45] | Really, what’s the grounds? | 是吗 上诉理由是什么 |
[06:47] | Bad confession. | 非法口供 |
[06:48] | It was bad too. | 他的供述有问题 |
[06:49] | The videotape is on your desk, all cued up. | 录像带在你桌子上 都做好标记了 |
[06:54] | Thanks. | 谢了 |
[06:55] | I hate to sound like a broken record | 我不喜欢反复唠叨这句话 |
[06:57] | but I don’t know how you could turn that guy loose. | 但是我真不知道你怎样让这家伙脱身 |
[07:00] | He killed two innocent teenagers. | 他杀了两个无辜的少年啊 |
[07:02] | My dad can get anybody off. | 我爸能帮任何人洗脱罪名 |
[07:04] | Right, Dad? | 对吧 爸 |
[07:10] | Son, I argued legal rights. | 孩子 我是在维护别人的合法权利 |
[07:12] | And you get the guy off, right? | 然后你帮别人洗脱罪名 不是么 |
[07:16] | Look here, chief, meet me in the conference room. | 不说这个了 你到会议室去等我 |
[07:19] | Okay, I’ll be right in. | 好吗 我一会去找你 |
[07:20] | What’s new in there? | 那边有什么新玩意吗 |
[07:25] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[07:26] | I didn’t mean for him to hear. | 我不是故意让他听到的 |
[07:32] | Seven-two-three-two-six. | 案号第72326 |
[07:34] | Commonwealth v. Kevin Blair, | 马萨诸塞州诉Kevin Blair |
[07:36] | minor, murder in the second degree. | 未成年人 二级谋杀 |
[07:37] | Robert Donnell for the defendant. your honor. | Robert Donnell为被告辩护 法官阁下 |
[07:39] | Helen Gamble for the Commonwealth. | Helen Gamble负责检控 |
[07:41] | We ask pending trial | 我们请求具结候审 |
[07:42] | that Kevin be committed to the custody | 请求将Kevin交给其父亲John Blair |
[07:44] | of his father, John Blair. | 负责监管 |
[07:45] | Given it’s a murder,your honor, | 考虑到本案是谋杀案 法官阁下 |
[07:47] | the Department of Youth Services… | 青年服务部… |
[07:48] | In the interests of Kevin… | 考虑到Kevin的利益… |
[07:49] | I’m sending him to DYS for now. | 我暂时先把他交给青年服务部 |
[07:52] | Let’s conference this afternoon | 今天下午我们再会面 |
[07:54] | and make a plan. | 确定一个方案 |
[07:55] | Thank you, Your Honor. | 谢谢 法官阁下 |
[07:57] | Son. | 孩子 |
[08:01] | Thanks for taking this. | 谢谢你接手这个案子 |
[08:03] | Why me? | 为什么找我 |
[08:04] | Well, I think the media’s gonna go nuts. | 嗯 我相信媒体一定会大肆渲染 |
[08:06] | He is a pretty good kid. | 他是个好孩子 |
[08:08] | I’d like to work it out quickly and quietly. | 我希望迅速低调地解决这个案子 |
[08:16] | What happens now? | 下一步怎么办 |
[08:17] | He’ll meet with the court psychiatrist. | 他会跟法庭指定的心理医生见面 |
[08:18] | I’ll be there. | 到时我会在场 |
[08:19] | Then we’ll sit down with the judge. | 然后我们会和法官商量 |
[08:21] | The big decision is | 最重要的问题是 |
[08:21] | whether he gets tried as an adult or a juvenile. | 他是作为成年人 还是作为少年接受审判 |
[08:24] | Adult? He’s 13. | 成年人? 他只有13岁啊 |
[08:27] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[08:29] | But when it’s murder… | 但是在谋杀案中… |
[08:31] | This isn’t Arkansas. | 这儿不是阿肯色州 |
[08:33] | The political pressure to go adult will be huge. | 要求按成年人受审的政治压力会非常大 |
[08:37] | Oh, God. | 噢 天哪 |
[08:39] | Fortunately, | 幸运的是 |
[08:40] | Helen Gamble, the DA, | Helen Gamble 本案的检察官 |
[08:42] | isn’t leaning that way. | 也不希望这样做 |
[08:44] | We caught a break with that judge. | 这位法官的态度也对我们有利 |
[08:45] | She is completely impervious to politics. | 她完全不理会政治上的那一套 |
[08:49] | I love my son. | 我爱我儿子 |
[08:52] | But he killed my wife. | 但是他杀了我的妻子 |
[08:57] | It’s hard for me to look at him. | 我现在都不想看到他 |
[09:03] | Mr. Blair. | Blair先生 |
[09:04] | Obviously, this is the worst thing you’ll ever go through. | 不用说 这是你这辈子遇到的最不幸的事 |
[09:09] | It’s… | 这… |
[09:10] | And I know, | 我也知道 |
[09:12] | he probably needs me to hold him. | 也许他此刻正需要我支持他 |
[09:15] | Hug him. | 拥抱他 |
[09:20] | I can’t bring myself to. | 但是我真的做不到 |
[09:27] | Would you | 能不能 |
[09:29] | please tell him how much I love him? | 麻烦你告诉他 我很爱他 |
[09:34] | Sure. | 好的 |
[09:38] | Do you know what criminal lawyers do? | 你知道刑事辩护律师是做什么的吗 |
[09:40] | We make sure that everybody gets their right to a fair trial. | 我们确保每一个人都有权接受公正的审判 |
[09:44] | That’s what I do, | 这就是我的工作 |
[09:46] | you know that? | 你明白么 |
[09:46] | I know. | 明白 |
[09:48] | I’m not in the business of getting murderers off. | 我的职业不是为杀人犯洗脱罪名 |
[09:52] | But you do sometimes. | 但有时候你就是这么做的 |
[09:55] | It’s my job | 我的工作职责是 |
[09:56] | to make sure that the government | 确保政府有足够的证据 |
[09:58] | can prove their case. | 来证明他们所指控的犯罪 |
[09:59] | Because if they don’t… | 因为如果他们没有证明… |
[10:01] | If they can’t… | 如果他们证明不了… |
[10:02] | then they shouldn’t be able to put people in jail. | 那么他们就不应该把人关进监狱 |
[10:06] | I know. | 我明白 |
[10:08] | You do? | 真的明白? |
[10:10] | Yeah. | 真的 |
[10:11] | If somebody kills somebody | 如果有人杀了人 |
[10:14] | you keep the police from proving it | 你阻止警察证明这件事 |
[10:15] | and you get the guy off. | 然后让这个人被释放 |
[10:28] | I just got so mad. | 我当时太气愤了 |
[10:31] | I went running to get the gun. | 我跑去拿了枪 |
[10:36] | Were you thinking you’d shoot her | 你拿到枪的时候 |
[10:38] | when you got the gun? | 有没有想过要去杀了她 |
[10:41] | I don’t know, maybe a little. | 我不知道 也许有一点 |
[10:44] | Maybe a little? | 也许有一点? |
[10:47] | Tell me what you’re thinking right now. | 告诉我你现在正在想些什么 |
[10:51] | I want this to be a dream. | 我希望这一切只是个梦 |
[11:02] | It’s not a dream. | 但这不是梦 |
[11:06] | No. | 是的 |
[11:14] | And I would remind the court | 我想提醒法庭注意的是 |
[11:16] | this tape wasn’t available | 在审判的时候 |
[11:17] | to the defense at the time of the trial. | 被告还无法取得这盘录影带 |
[11:19] | Now, we understand that, counsel. | 这一点我们听明白了 律师 |
[11:21] | Are you saying | 你的意思是说 |
[11:22] | your client would not have been convicted | 如果没有他自己的这个供述 |
[11:23] | but for this confession? | 你的当事人就不会被叛有罪? |
[11:25] | There’s no question about it. | 毫无疑问是这样的 |
[11:26] | The state had no witnesses. | 检方并没有目击证人 |
[11:28] | Even though they lied to my client | 尽管如录像所显示 |
[11:29] | as you’ll see in this tape. | 他们欺骗我的当事人说他们有目击证人 |
[11:30] | Let’s roll it. | 我们看一下录像吧 |
[11:36] | We all know you were the shooter, Brad. | 我们都已经知道你就是凶手 Brad |
[11:38] | This really isn’t about that. | 所以今天叫你来都不是因为这个 |
[11:41] | But if you help me out here | 但是如果你能够帮我点忙 |
[11:43] | maybe there’s something I can do for you. | 或许我也可以帮你做点什么 |
[11:46] | Shouldn’t I get a lawyer or something? | 我不是应该找个律师什么的吗 |
[11:49] | I think I need my lawyer. | 我觉得我需要找个律师 |
[11:51] | Cigarette? | 来根烟? |
[11:53] | No. | 不用 |
[11:56] | If you get a lawyer | 如果你找了律师 |
[11:57] | he instructs you not to talk, | 他会告诉你保持沉默 |
[11:59] | this thing gets all adversary. | 那样一来我们就没法合作了 |
[12:01] | You’ve been here before. | 你也知道 你又不是第一次来 |
[12:03] | They’ll send in some rookie public defender | 他们会为你指派一个菜鸟公设辩护律师 |
[12:06] | who cares more about covering his own ass. | 他只关心自己不出执业差错 |
[12:08] | You get your life sentence. | 你会被判终身监禁 |
[12:10] | But hell, | 但是管他呢 |
[12:12] | by telling you to keep quiet, | 只要告诉了你保持沉默 |
[12:14] | his balls stay protected. | 他鸟事都不会有 |
[12:17] | You gotta think about a few things here, Brad. | 你得好好想一想这些事情 Brad |
[12:19] | We have two eyewitnesses | 我们找到了两个目击证人 |
[12:21] | fingering you as the shooter. | 他们能证明你就是凶手 |
[12:22] | No PD’s gonna change the result. | 没有哪个辩护律师能改变这一事实 |
[12:25] | And the other? | 另一方面 |
[12:27] | These were teenagers you killed. | 你杀害的是两个十几岁的孩子 |
[12:29] | You’re facing double life. | 你会被判两个终身监禁 |
[12:33] | The only friend in life you got right now is me. | 此时此刻 你这辈子唯一的朋友就是我 |
[12:36] | I’m the only one that can help you. | 我是唯一能够帮助你的人 |
[12:38] | Why you wanna help me? | 你为什么愿意帮我 |
[12:42] | You didn’t go there to shoot them kids, did you? | 你到那里去的目的不是想杀那些孩子 对么 |
[12:45] | You only wanted their car. | 你不过是想要他们的车 |
[12:46] | The shooting was something that you didn’t mean to happen. | 你去之前本来没打算向他们开枪的 |
[12:50] | I’m right, aren’t I? | 我说对了 是吧 |
[12:54] | I know those kids weren’t angels. | 我知道他们不是什么好孩子 |
[12:56] | And I know that you’re not a cold-blooded kind of person. | 我也知道你不是那种冷血无情的人 |
[13:00] | They fought back, didn’t they? | 他们反击了 是吧 |
[13:03] | You just wanted their car. | 你只是想要他们的车 |
[13:06] | They fought back. | 他们反击了 |
[13:15] | Three hours and 13 minutes later | 三小时十三分钟之后 |
[13:17] | my client confessed to | 我的当事人供认杀了 |
[13:18] | killing Wanda and Steven Simmons. | Wanda Simmons和Steven Simmons |
[13:20] | And your claim is that this confession is unconstitutional. | 你的上诉理由是 他的供述是违宪的? |
[13:24] | He asked for his lawyer. | 他要求他的律师在场 |
[13:26] | As soon as that happened, | 根据法律 在此之后 |
[13:27] | the interrogation by law has to stop. | 讯问必须立即停止 |
[13:29] | That tape made clear | 录像显示得非常清楚 |
[13:31] | the defendant never asked for his lawyer. | 被告从来没有要求律师在场 |
[13:33] | – Are you serious? – He said… | – 你开什么玩笑 – 他说的是… |
[13:34] | He never officially asked. | 他从来没有正式提出要求 |
[13:36] | He said at the very start… | 他在讯问一开始就说… |
[13:37] | That he thought maybe he should get a lawyer. | 他说的是 他觉得也许他该找个律师 |
[13:40] | But he never directly asked. | 但是他从来没有直接要求 |
[13:42] | “I think I need my lawyer.” | “我觉得我需要找个律师” |
[13:44] | I have to admit, Mr. Coffee, | 我必须承认 Mr.Coffee |
[13:45] | you’re splitting hairs. | 你有点钻牛角尖了 |
[13:47] | If a suspect says: | 如果嫌疑人说 |
[13:48] | “I think I need my lawyer,” | “我觉得我需要找个律师” |
[13:50] | his intent obviously… | 他的意图显然是… |
[13:51] | He changed his mind. | 他改变了主意 |
[13:52] | Not allowed to change his mind. | 他没有权利改变主意 |
[13:53] | He’s not allowed to change his mind? | 他没有权利改变主意? |
[13:55] | His mind can’t be changed by the police officer, | 他不能被那位警官说服改变主意 |
[13:58] | no, it can’t. | 没错 不能改变 |
[14:00] | As soon as a suspect asks for his lawyer, | 一旦嫌疑人提出要求律师在场 |
[14:02] | discussion stops. | 讯问必须停止 |
[14:04] | Here, | 本案中 |
[14:05] | it didn’t. | 没有停止 |
[14:10] | iIt sounds cliché, but normal kid. | 听上去像陈词滥调 但是个正常的孩子 |
[14:13] | Who killed his mother | 杀了母亲的正常孩子 |
[14:15] | Yes. | 是的 |
[14:16] | Normal 13-year-old boys, they don’t… | 正常的13岁男孩 他们不会… |
[14:17] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[14:18] | What I’m saying is I found no psychosis, | 我的意思是 我没看到精神错乱的迹象 |
[14:21] | no schizophrenia. | 也没有精神分裂 |
[14:23] | Then why? | 那到底为什么 |
[14:25] | He lost his temper. | 他就是生气了 |
[14:27] | And a gun was handy. | 而且正好又有把枪 |
[14:29] | Do me a favor, doctor and have the decency | 拜托 医生 看在我的份上 |
[14:31] | to not sound casual about this. | 不要把这事儿说得那么稀松平常 |
[14:34] | This boy, he was close to his mother. | 这个男孩 他跟他的妈妈关系很亲密 |
[14:38] | They had a very good relationship. | 他们母子俩的关系非常好 |
[14:41] | He seems stunned | 对于他妈妈再也回不来了 |
[14:42] | that she isn’t coming back. | 这个事实 他似乎很震惊 |
[14:44] | Doesn’t that suggest some sort of diminished capacity? | 这难道不可以说明他的认知能力有问题吗 |
[14:47] | He shoots her, | 他开枪打了她 |
[14:48] | but he can’t understand why she’s not living? | 但是他并不明白为什么她就这样死了? |
[14:50] | It isn’t that. | 不是那么回事 |
[14:51] | Cognitively, he knows. | 从认知角度而言 他是知道的 |
[14:54] | But emotionally, | 但是在情感上 |
[14:55] | he’s experiencing deep grief. | 他正经受着巨大的悲痛 |
[14:57] | And there’s nothing in his history? | 他的成长经历中都没有任何异常? |
[14:59] | I’ve only spent a couple of hours so far, | 到目前为止 我只花了几个小时的时间 |
[15:01] | but so far, I’ve found nothing. | 但目前为止 我什么都没发现 |
[15:04] | Well, boys just don’t shoot their parents. | 可是 孩子们总不会无缘无故枪杀自己的父母 |
[15:07] | Give me something. | 给我一点理由 |
[15:08] | You want a reason, judge, turn on the news. | 你想要理由 法官 打开电视机 |
[15:10] | Nightline will put on experts, | 晚间档节目会邀请各种专家 |
[15:12] | they’ll talk about family values, bad parenting. | 他们会讨论家庭价值 不称职的父母 |
[15:16] | Pick up a newspaper, | 随便打开哪张报纸 |
[15:17] | you’ll see articles about too much television. | 你会读到有文章批评孩子们看电视的时间太多 |
[15:20] | Maybe he got dropped on his head at birth. | 说不定他出生的时候撞坏了脑袋 |
[15:22] | There’s no shortage of opinions. | 不乏各种各样的观点 |
[15:25] | And you can throw them all out. | 你都可以拎出来讲 |
[15:26] | There must be a sign. | 总该有些征兆吧 |
[15:28] | Sure, there’s a sign. | 当然 确实有征兆 |
[15:30] | In Little League, he threw his bat a few times. | 在少年棒球联合会中 他摔过几次球拍 |
[15:34] | If you’re desperate for a sign, | 如果你一定要找征兆的话 |
[15:36] | cling to those. | 那就是你要的征兆 |
[15:38] | But there simply is nothing overt | 但是确实没有什么明显的理由 |
[15:42] | to explain why this kid had an impulse to kill. | 能够解释这孩子为什么会产生杀人的冲动 |
[15:45] | No reason as to why | 也没有理由能够解释为什么 |
[15:47] | he couldn’t control that impulse. | 他不能克制这种冲动 |
[15:49] | You want it to be comprehensible. | 你希望这一切有个能为人所理解的道理 |
[15:51] | We all do. | 我们都想 |
[15:52] | It may never be. | 但是永远不会有 |
[15:55] | Thank you, doctor. Thank you. | 谢谢你 医生 谢谢 |
[16:07] | So, what are you going to do? | 那么 你接下来打算怎么办 |
[16:09] | I think I have to charge him as an adult. | 我想我将不得不按成年人来起诉他 |
[16:13] | That is not the way to go, Helen. | 你不能这么做 Helen |
[16:15] | You said yourself, quickly and quietly. | 你自己说过 要迅速低调地解决 |
[16:19] | I understand. | 我知道 |
[16:20] | But I’m looking at a pretty mature, | 但是我看到的是一个心智相当成熟 |
[16:22] | well-adjusted kid here. | 有良好自我调节能力的孩子 |
[16:23] | Who gets served? | 这样对谁有好处? |
[16:25] | The reason you brought me in | 你让我介入这个案子 |
[16:26] | is because this case is different. | 是因为这个案子很特殊 |
[16:29] | It’s not about win-lose. | 它无关输赢的问题 |
[16:32] | Now, what gets served? | 那么 有什么意义呢 |
[16:34] | That’s what I keep asking: | 这是我一直在问的问题 |
[16:35] | What gets served? | 有什么意义? |
[16:37] | Well, let’s make a decision. | 呃 我们做个决定吧 |
[16:43] | I’m afraid it’s gonna have to be made by you, Your Honor. | 这个决定恐怕只能由你来做 法官阁下 |
[16:48] | Fine. | 好吧 |
[16:52] | I’ll set the hearing for tomorrow. | 我把听证会安排在明天 |
[16:53] | This kid is gonna lose his life. | 这个孩子将会失去他的一生 |
[16:58] | Part of me hopes you win this. | 某种程度上 我希望你赢 |
[17:02] | But that question, “Who gets served?” | 但是那个问题 “对谁有好处”? |
[17:06] | Where my duty lies, I gotta go adult. | 职责所在 我必须按成年人起诉他 |
[17:16] | I don’t like it. | 我不喜欢 |
[17:17] | I don’t even know what it is. | 我根本不知道这是个啥玩意 |
[17:19] | It’s a painting. | 这是一幅画 |
[17:20] | But it’s all jumbled. | 但是上面乱七八糟的 |
[17:23] | What kind of message does that send? | 它到底想要表达个什么信息 |
[17:25] | You teach kids to color inside the lines, | 你教孩子们在线条里面涂上颜色 |
[17:27] | they come in and see that… | 他们走进来 看到… |
[17:29] | The message it sends is flush, is expensive. | 它所表达的信息是有钱 是昂贵 |
[17:32] | Lindsay bought it? | 这是Lindsay买的? |
[17:33] | Got it on loan. | 她贷款买的 |
[17:34] | She wants it when our | 她希望我们的石棉案当事人 |
[17:35] | asbestos clients come in. | 过来的时候能看到 |
[17:36] | Oh, please. | 噢 算了吧 |
[17:37] | Ellenor, don’t “oh, please.” | Ellenor 不要说”算了吧” |
[17:39] | You know it works. | 你知道这很管用 |
[17:40] | Clients just glance at our track record. | 客户不会认真研究我们以前的业绩 |
[17:42] | What matters are the cars we drive. | 重要的是我们开什么样的车 |
[17:44] | If they’re expensive, | 如果我们的车很贵 |
[17:45] | we must be good. | 那我们一定是好律师 |
[17:47] | If we look rich, | 如果我们显得很有钱 |
[17:48] | we must be winners. | 那我们打官司一定总是赢 |
[17:50] | You really think we could get this trial? | 你真的觉得我们能接到这个案子? |
[17:52] | Hey, we got an interview. | 嘿 我们有机会跟他们谈 |
[17:55] | Timing couldn’t be better. | 现在的时机再好不过 |
[17:56] | We’re hot off of beating the tobacco industry. | 我们刚刚打赢了烟草公司的案子 |
[17:58] | Bobby’s name is in the papers | 因为少年枪杀母亲案 |
[17:59] | with this kid shooting his mother. | 报纸上到处都是Bobby的名字 |
[18:00] | What are we talking about here? | 这个案子是怎么回事 |
[18:02] | Class action. | 集体诉讼 |
[18:03] | Thousand plaintiffs. | 有上千个原告 |
[18:04] | Even if we split the contingency | 即使风险代理酬金减半的话 |
[18:06] | we’re looking at seven figures. | 我们仍然可能得到七位数的律师费 |
[18:08] | Seven for us? | 七位数的律师费? |
[18:10] | For us. | 是的 |
[18:11] | I love that painting. | 我爱死那幅画了 |
[18:24] | Think they’ll win it this year? The Sox? | 你觉得他们今年会赢么 红袜队? |
[18:26] | Next year. | 等明年吧 |
[18:28] | Every year is next year for the Red Sox. | 对红袜队来说 就是明年复明年 |
[18:31] | Yeah, it must be tough playing in this town. | 是啊 在这个城市打球一定很不容易 |
[18:33] | Fans have a million years of frustration pent-up. | 球迷们的郁闷已经积累了几百万年了 |
[18:37] | Wonder how they manage to play at all. | 真不知道他们怎么还能坚持打下去 |
[18:39] | I can’t feel sorry for ballplayers. | 我一点也不同情这些棒球运动员 |
[18:42] | Making that kind of money to play a game in the summer | 赚那么多钱 只是在夏天打几场球 |
[18:44] | and take the winters off. | 冬天就去度假了 |
[18:46] | They don’t get my sympathy. | 他们才不值得我同情 |
[18:49] | You’re that lawyer for that killer, aren’t you? | 你是那个凶手的律师 是么 |
[18:51] | Sholey. The guy who killed those two teenagers. | Sholey 杀了两个少年的那个人 |
[18:54] | You’re his lawyer. | 你是他的律师 |
[18:56] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[18:58] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你个问题吗 |
[19:01] | How do you do that? | 你是怎么做到的 |
[19:02] | I mean, isn’t it hard to… | 我是说 难道你不觉得很难… |
[19:04] | You know, people like that? | 你知道 像他那样的人? |
[19:08] | Every man or woman gets his day in court. | 每个人都有权利在法庭上为自己辩护 |
[19:12] | I understand. | 我知道 |
[19:13] | This guy’s pure scum, isn’t he? | 这人是个纯粹的渣滓 不是吗 |
[19:17] | He’s a human being. | 他也是人 |
[19:21] | those teenagers, | 那两个被杀的少年 |
[19:22] | they were my kids. | 他们是我的孩子 |
[19:34] | I’m… I’m… | 我… 我… |
[19:37] | Sorry. | 对不起 |
[19:40] | You like what you do for a living, Mr. Young? | 你热爱自己的职业么 Young先生? |
[19:46] | It’s nice to see you do draw lines. | 很高兴看到你有分辨能力 |
[19:49] | You’d never sympathize with a ballplayer. | 你从来不同情棒球运动员 |
[20:08] | It went okay. | 情况不错 |
[20:09] | I didn’t think the DA came back with much. | 我相信检察官拿不出多少反驳的理由 |
[20:12] | So | 那么 |
[20:13] | we could win? | 我们能赢? |
[20:15] | We should win, Brad, | 我们应该会赢 Brad |
[20:17] | unless they wanna rewrite the law. | 除非他们想修改现有的法律 |
[20:19] | But there is no time limit. | 但是并没有期限的限制 |
[20:20] | My bet is they’re gonna sit on this case | 我相信他们一定会把这个案子 |
[20:21] | a long, long time. | 拖上很长 很长的时间 |
[20:24] | And what, not do anything? | 怎么 他们就什么都不做吗 |
[20:26] | You gotta understand. | 你要明白 |
[20:28] | Us winning means turning you loose. | 一旦我们赢了 你会被释放 |
[20:30] | You killed two people. | 你杀了两个人 |
[20:32] | Setting you free isn’t gonna be | 谁都不会把释放你当成 |
[20:33] | on anybody’s list of priorities. | 他们要优先完成的工作 |
[20:35] | But it went good? | 但是形势对我很有利? |
[20:38] | I think it did. Yes. | 我觉得很有利 是的 |
[20:44] | When I was assigned this case | 当我接到这个案子 |
[20:47] | every instinct was | 我的直觉告诉我 |
[20:48] | “Let’s not make this a bigger tragedy | 这已经是个令人心痛的悲剧 |
[20:50] | than it already is.” | 我们不要把它变成一个更大的悲剧 |
[20:53] | But he committed a very adult crime. | 但他所犯的是非常成熟的罪行 |
[20:56] | It was knowing. | 他头脑清楚 |
[20:58] | He walked upstairs, | 他走上楼去 |
[21:00] | turned the combination on a safe | 转动保险箱上的安全锁 |
[21:03] | to the left, | 向左转 |
[21:05] | to the right | 向右转 |
[21:06] | and back to the left. | 然后再向左转 |
[21:09] | He loaded bullets into a revolver. | 他把子弹装进左轮手枪 |
[21:12] | He walked back downstairs | 他走下楼梯 |
[21:15] | and executed a human being. | 处死了他的母亲 |
[21:18] | If he is tried as an adult, | 如果他作为成年人受审 |
[21:20] | he receives a life sentence. | 他会被判终生监禁 |
[21:22] | Let’s not dance around that reality. | 这不是值得大家庆祝的事情 |
[21:25] | He’s got no defense for the crime itself. | 就罪行本身 他找不到辩护理由 |
[21:27] | As an adult, | 作为成年人 |
[21:28] | second-degree murder carries an automatic life sentence. | 二级谋杀意味着强制性的终生监禁 |
[21:31] | We have to face that. | 我们必须面对这个事实 |
[21:32] | We also have to face what he did. | 我们同样必须面对他的所作所为 |
[21:34] | He’s 13 years old. | 他只有13岁 |
[21:36] | If he had impregnated his teacher | 假如他令他的老师怀孕了 |
[21:40] | the teacher would go to jail | 老师会因此而进监狱 |
[21:42] | and the world would be saying he’s a child. | 人们会说 他只是个孩子 |
[21:46] | But because of the politics and outrage of murder | 但是因为谋杀所带来的政治压力和民愤 |
[21:49] | the world says | 人们说 |
[21:51] | “adult, treat him as an adult.” | “成年人 按成年人起诉他” |
[21:54] | Don’t be soft. | 不要手软 |
[21:56] | As much as I feel for this boy, | 不管我有多么同情这孩子 |
[22:00] | and I do. | 我真的同情他 |
[22:02] | I can’t escape… | 我没法回避… |
[22:06] | I can’t look at him and say he’s just a kid. | 我没法看着他 说他只是个孩子 |
[22:10] | You can say that, Helen. | 你可以这么说 Helen |
[22:13] | Because he is a kid. | 因为他就是个孩子 |
[22:17] | And if you’re saying there’s no chance | 如果你要说13岁的孩子 |
[22:19] | of rehabilitation with a 13-year-old | 不可能改过自新 |
[22:22] | then you’re saying rehabilitation | 那么你的意思就是说 |
[22:24] | shouldn’t even exist as a concept. | 世界上根本就没有改过自新这回事 |
[22:30] | He didn’t steal a car, Bobby. | 他不是偷了辆车这么简单 Bobby |
[22:38] | I’ll take this under advisement. | 我会仔细考虑你们双方的陈述 |
[22:45] | How you doing, kid? | 你怎么样 孩子 |
[22:54] | We’ll… | 我们… |
[22:59] | We’re gonna get through this. | 我们会挺过去的 |
[23:09] | I’m sorry, Dad. | 对不起 爸爸 |
[23:14] | I know. | 我知道 |
[23:45] | Asbestos clients. | 石棉客户 |
[23:46] | Show time. | 好戏上场 |
[23:47] | Here they come. Here they come. | 他们来了 他们来了 |
[23:49] | Okay, you’re gonna buzz me? | 记住 给我打电话 |
[23:50] | What do I say? | 我该说什么 |
[23:51] | Anything you want. Just stay on the line and talk. | 随便你 你只要拿起电话说点什么就行 |
[23:52] | This is so ridiculous. | 简直荒唐可笑 |
[23:54] | There’s no need to panic. | 用不着惊慌 |
[23:55] | I’ll walk you through it. | 我会帮你处理好的 |
[23:57] | John, if you go into a courtroom oozing anxiety, | John 如果你满脸焦虑地走上法庭 |
[23:59] | the judge will see that. | 法官会看到的 |
[24:00] | Ok, you’re gonna do exactly as I say. | 好了 你只管照我说的做 |
[24:02] | We’re looking for Lindsay Dole. | 我们来找Lindsay Dole |
[24:03] | Hold on. | 等一会 |
[24:04] | Hi, Mr. Monahan, it’s me. | 嗨 Monahan先生 我就是 |
[24:05] | Let’s go into the conference room. | 我们去会议室谈吧 |
[24:08] | Rebecca, could you show them? | Rebecca 麻烦你带他们过去 |
[24:09] | Of course. | 好的 |
[24:10] | The reason I’m not panicked is | 我并不惊慌的原因在于 |
[24:12] | a 12-B-6 isn’t just viable, | 12-B-6不仅可行 【注:要求法官直接驳回原告无根据的滥诉】 |
[24:13] | it will win. | 而且会帮我们打赢 |
[24:14] | – Hi. – You know, I, I have a meeting. | – 嗨 – 我 我现在要开个会 |
[24:16] | I’m gonna have to call you back. | 我晚点再给你打电话 |
[24:20] | Two minutes, you buzz me. | 两分钟 给我电话 |
[24:27] | I’m sorry, it’s a little crazy. | 对不起 有点手忙脚乱 |
[24:29] | I’ve got a panicked house counsel in Detroit. | 我在底特律有个顾问客户 他很着急 |
[24:31] | We appreciate your agreeing to the meeting. | 谢谢你安排时间跟我们会面 |
[24:33] | My pleasure. | 不客气 |
[24:35] | Cutting to it | 直入主题吧 |
[24:36] | your success against the tobacco company | 你起诉烟草公司的成功案例 |
[24:39] | has our interest piqued. | 引起了我们的兴趣 |
[24:41] | Especially since… | 特别是… |
[24:43] | Well, going up against the asbestos industry | 呃 要起诉石棉行业 |
[24:47] | we’re facing a comparable Goliath. | 我们面对的是类似的巨无霸 |
[24:51] | How many in the class? | 有多少名原告 |
[24:52] | We’re up to almost 1300. | 差不多1300个 |
[24:53] | Certified? | 已经批准了? |
[24:54] | We’ve already survived a motion to decertify. | 我们已经通过了撤销集团诉讼动议 |
[24:57] | Most of the discovery is done. | 大部分证据开示都完成了 |
[24:59] | We have a September trial date. | 庭审时间在九月份 |
[25:03] | I’m sorry. | 不好意思 |
[25:04] | – Yes? – Hey, Lindsay. | – 喂? – 嘿 Lindsay |
[25:06] | Been to any wild orgies lately? | 最近有没有参加什么放纵的活动 |
[25:07] | Calm… Calm down, John. | 冷静…冷静点 John |
[25:09] | John, listen. | John 听我说 |
[25:11] | Who’s the judge? | 法官是谁 |
[25:14] | Albright Albright. | |
[25:17] | Albright Albright Albright. Albright. | |
[25:21] | Okay, I’ve got him. | 好的 我找到了 |
[25:23] | Has a reputation for being colloquial. | 他喜欢通俗易懂的口语 |
[25:25] | I definitely want local counsel. | 一定要找本地的律师 |
[25:26] | Oh, good news. | 哦 好消息是 |
[25:27] | He’s spoken at seminars on frivolous litigation. | 他曾经在研讨会上抨击滥诉现象 |
[25:29] | He’ll be receptive to 12-B-6 and our Rule 11. | 他应该容易接受”12-B-6″和我们的”第11条” 【注:请求法院对滥诉的原告和律师做出惩罚】 |
[25:31] | Now, I don’t wanna file till July, however. | 不过 我希望到7月份再提出这个动议 |
[25:34] | I’m must curious. | 我真的很好奇 |
[25:35] | You ever tried mud wrestling? | 你有没有玩过泥巴摔跤 |
[25:37] | The reason is he has a summer home on Lake Ontario. | 原因是他在安大略湖有个避暑寓所 |
[25:40] | He puts in a three-day work week, | 他在那里每周工作三天 |
[25:41] | he likes to keep his docket down. | 他不喜欢自己的案头堆积太多的案子 |
[25:43] | Statistically, he kicks 30 percent more cases | 数据显示 在7月份和8月份 |
[25:45] | in July and August. John? | 被他驳回的案子要多30% John? |
[25:47] | John, I have to call you back. | John 我晚点再打给你 |
[25:49] | I’m in a meeting with clients, okay? | 我在跟客户开会 好吗 |
[25:50] | Okay. Bye-bye. | 好的 再见 |
[25:56] | I’m very sorry. | 非常抱歉 |
[25:57] | You’ve never done an asbestos litigation, have you? | 你以前从来没有代理过石棉诉讼案件 是吗 |
[26:00] | No, but that’s not the problem. | 没有 但这不是问题 |
[26:02] | Can I cut to what I do perceive as problem? | 我可不可以直接说我认为问题在哪里 |
[26:05] | Absolutely. | 当然 |
[26:06] | I had a chance of looked over | 我有幸看到了一些 |
[26:08] | some of the pleadings and witness lists. | 你们的诉状和证人清单 |
[26:09] | Public record, sorry. | 公开信息 不好意思 |
[26:10] | We may have a difference in trial philosophy. | 我们在诉讼策略上可能有些分歧 |
[26:13] | Which would be? | 什么分歧 |
[26:15] | You seem to be emphasizing causation. | 你们似乎很强调因果关系 |
[26:16] | On this kinds of cases, we tend not to. | 在这一类案件中 我们倾向于不这么做 |
[26:18] | How do you prove a case without causation? | 没有因果关系 你的案子怎么打 |
[26:20] | I’m not saying ignore it. | 我不是说忽略不管 |
[26:21] | But, when proving it depends on science, | 但是 证明因果关系涉及科学上的证据 |
[26:23] | you’re putting two heavy burdens on a jury. | 这样你就给陪审团加上了两个沉重的负担 |
[26:25] | One, you’re asking them to understand it | 第一 你要让他们理解弄懂 |
[26:27] | and two, you’re asking them to stay awake. | 第二 你得让他们保持清醒 |
[26:29] | Anything they don’t understand, | 对于任何他们不懂的东西 |
[26:30] | they get suspicious of. | 他们会持怀疑态度 |
[26:31] | And with asbestos, just like tobacco, | 对于石棉 就像烟草一样 |
[26:33] | you have a presumption. | 你有这样一个假设 |
[26:35] | They already know it kills. | 人们已经知道它会致人死亡 |
[26:37] | The defense can’t pick apart that premise. | 被告没法摧毁这样的一个前提 |
[26:40] | They can pick apart science. | 但他们可以摧毁科学证据 |
[26:42] | I’m wary of leaving evidence out. | 对于遗漏证据 我持谨慎态度 |
[26:46] | Yeah, that’s what I figured. | 哦 正如我所料 |
[26:49] | We’re probably not the right firm for you. | 也许我们不是你想要的律师事务所 |
[26:56] | Be seated. | 请坐下 |
[27:03] | Under Minnick v. Mississippi, | 通过米尼克诉密西西比州一案 |
[27:05] | the law is quite clear. | 法律已经非常清楚 |
[27:07] | When a suspect asks for his attorney, | 当嫌犯提出要求律师在场 |
[27:09] | all further interrogation must stop. | 进一步的讯问必须立即停止 |
[27:14] | The tape here was very disturbing. | 录像所反映的情况令人不安 |
[27:15] | Seeing the police lie about having witnesses. | 看到警察欺骗嫌犯说有目击证人 |
[27:19] | Misrepresenting information. | 做虚假的陈述 |
[27:21] | Nevertheless, this kind of police conduct | 然而 警察的这一类行为 |
[27:24] | is entirely permissible. | 是完全允许的 |
[27:26] | Since we find the defendant stopped short of | 鉴于我们认为被告并没有 |
[27:29] | directly asking for counsel | 直接要求律师在场 |
[27:31] | we unanimously find the confession to be admissible. | 我们一致裁决被告的供述可以呈堂 |
[27:35] | The conviction, therefore, stands. | 因此 有罪判决有效 |
[27:38] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[27:45] | Permission to address this court. | 请求向法庭发言 |
[27:51] | Proceed. | 准予发言 |
[27:57] | You people just ignored the law. | 几位法官直接抛开了法律 |
[27:59] | We’ve made our ruling and I see no… | 我们已经做出裁决 我认为没有… |
[28:01] | I heard your ruling. | 我听到了你的裁决 |
[28:04] | The other day | 前几天 |
[28:05] | I had to explain to my 10 year-old | 我还在跟我10岁的儿子解释 |
[28:06] | how I could come into this room | 我为什么要来到这个法庭上 |
[28:08] | and fight for a man who killed two people. | 为一个背负两条人命的杀人凶手抗争 |
[28:10] | Yesterday, | 昨天 |
[28:12] | I had to look this man in the eye… | 我不得不正视这位先生的眼睛… |
[28:14] | – Counsel… – Counsel what? | -律师… -什么律师 |
[28:16] | You gonna give me a speech, Judge? | 你想对我做一番长篇大论吗 法官 |
[28:18] | Tell me how the Bill of Rights, | 告诉我为什么权利法案 |
[28:19] | how the Constitution has to count for something. | 为什么宪法必须得到人们的尊重 |
[28:21] | I gave that speech to my kid. | 我是这样向我的儿子解释的 |
[28:23] | I told myself that, while having to look at | 当我看着两个死去少年的父亲时 |
[28:26] | the father of two dead teenagers. | 我也是这样告诉自己 |
[28:27] | Two kids my client shot. | 他的两个孩子被我的当事人所杀 |
[28:28] | – Mr. Young… – Permission to address this court! | -Young先生… -请求向法庭发言! |
[28:33] | Ten years I’ve been putting them back out there. | 十年来 我一直在帮他们脱身 |
[28:36] | Criminals, | 罪犯 |
[28:37] | sometimes rapists, | 有时候是强奸犯 |
[28:38] | sometimes murderers. | 有时候是谋杀犯 |
[28:39] | Ten years. | 十年了 |
[28:40] | All the time telling myself there’s a reason. | 十年来我一直告诉自己这一切是有意义的 |
[28:42] | You’re 10 seconds from a contempt order. | 你现在离藐视法庭令只有一步之遥 |
[28:44] | Do it! | 下令吧! |
[28:45] | There are rules. | 要遵循法律 |
[28:46] | Rules. Damn it! | 遵循法律 该死的 |
[28:47] | We don’t let the police coerce confessions. | 我们不允许警察通过逼供取得供述 |
[28:49] | We don’t let them beat down doors | 我们不允许警察在没有搜查令的 |
[28:50] | without warrants. | 情况下强行开门 |
[28:51] | We don’t let them grill suspects | 当嫌犯要求律师在场之后 |
[28:53] | after they ask for their lawyers. | 我们就不准警察拷问他们 |
[28:54] | My client damn well asked for his lawyer | 我的当事人清楚地要求律师在场 |
[28:56] | and all three of you sitting up there, | 坐在法官席上的三位 |
[28:58] | you know it. | 你们都知道 |
[28:59] | – You’re out of order. – You’re out of order! | -你过分了 -你们才过分了 |
[29:00] | You disgraced the bench, this room, | 你丢了法官的脸 丢了法庭的脸 |
[29:02] | you just raped the Sixth Amendment. | 你们刚刚强奸了第六修正案 【注:被告有权要求由律师提供辩护】 |
[29:04] | I hold you in contempt. | 你们才是藐视法庭 |
[29:05] | I hold all three of you in contempt. | 你们三个全都藐视法庭 |
[29:07] | Take him and put him in lockup. | 把他带下去 关他监禁 |
[29:16] | I’ll rot in that cell if giving you respect is a condition | 如果对你们的尊重是放我出来的前提条件 |
[29:20] | for my getting out. | 我宁愿老死在里面 |
[29:25] | I’ll rot. | 宁愿老死 |
[29:45] | Dad, did you hit somebody? | 爸 你打人了吗 |
[29:48] | No. | 没有 |
[29:48] | How long? | 要关多久 |
[29:49] | Till morning. | 到明天早上 |
[29:51] | I argued a called strike. | 我尽情发挥了一番 |
[29:53] | They’ll let him visit for an hour. | 他们允许他探视一个小时 |
[29:55] | I’ll keep him with me tonight. | 今天晚上他就去我那里吧 |
[29:57] | He belongs in here with me. | 他要在这里陪我 |
[29:59] | I’ll be back. | 我一会回来 |
[30:01] | Thanks again. | 谢谢 |
[30:03] | So, what happened? | 是怎么回事 |
[30:05] | Sit down, buddy. | 坐下 小子 |
[30:11] | You heard me talk with your Uncle Curtis? | 你听我说起过Curtis叔叔? |
[30:13] | Jail Uncle Curtis? | 坐牢的Curtis叔叔? |
[30:15] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[30:15] | You remember what he went to jail for? | 你记不记得他为什么坐牢 |
[30:19] | They thought he knocked off a liquor store | 他们说他抢劫了一家酒水店 |
[30:20] | and capped somebody. | 还伤了人 |
[30:22] | But he didn’t, right? | 但其实没有 对不对 |
[30:24] | Yeah. | 对 |
[30:27] | And the reason he ended up in prison | 他之所以会坐牢 |
[30:29] | is that he fit the description of whoever did do it. | 是因为他正好符合真正的罪犯的描述 |
[30:33] | And the police arrested him. | 警察因此逮捕了他 |
[30:34] | And they kept him in a room for 20 hours. | 他们把他关在一个房间里达20个小时 |
[30:37] | Kept making him drink coffee | 不停地给他喝咖啡 |
[30:39] | and not letting him go to the bathroom. | 却不让他上厕所 |
[30:42] | Kept telling him that if he’d just confess | 不停地跟他说 只要他肯招供 |
[30:46] | that everything would go better. | 一切都好办 |
[30:48] | And that if he didn’t confess | 如果他不肯招供 |
[30:50] | they’d arrest my sister | 他们会逮捕我姐姐 |
[30:52] | and they’d both get the death penalty. | 然后他们俩都会被判死刑 |
[30:56] | Told him if he cooperated, | 告诉他如果他合作 |
[30:59] | he could leave. | 就可以放他走 |
[31:03] | And after 20 hours | 20个小时之后 |
[31:07] | they had him to the point | 他的精神崩溃了 |
[31:09] | where he would say anything just to go home. | 他为了回家什么都可以说 |
[31:13] | And he signed a confession to a crime | 于是他向警方供认了 |
[31:15] | he didn’t commit. | 这个和他无关的罪行 |
[31:20] | You hate the police, don’t you? | 你讨厌警察 对吗 |
[31:23] | I don’t hate the police. | 我不讨厌警察 |
[31:25] | Most of them are good people. | 他们当中大多数都是好人 |
[31:29] | Kendall, most of my clients did the crime. | Kendall 我的大多数客户都是真的罪犯 |
[31:32] | I won’t lie to you about that. | 我不准备向你隐瞒这一点 |
[31:34] | The reason I fight for them | 我之所以为他们抗争 |
[31:36] | is as soon as we allow the police to use illegal methods | 是因为一旦我们允许警察采用非法手段 |
[31:40] | sure, more guilty people will be convicted | 当然 更多的罪犯会被绳之以法 |
[31:42] | but more innocent people will too. | 但同时会有更多无辜的人蒙受冤屈 |
[31:47] | That’s what I fight for. | 这是我的工作意义所在 |
[31:56] | Here he comes. | 他来了 |
[31:57] | Stay calm, everybody calm. | 镇静 所有人都保持镇静 |
[31:58] | Look busy, file. | 做出很忙的样子 文件 |
[31:59] | Are they hiring us? | 他们会委托我们吗 |
[32:00] | I don’t know, stay calm. | 我不知道 保持镇静 |
[32:02] | I’m calm. You stay calm. | 我很镇静 你自己保持镇静 |
[32:05] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[32:06] | Mr. Monahan. | Monahan先生 |
[32:08] | Thank you for letting me drop by on such short notice. | 抱歉没有早点预约就直接过来了 |
[32:11] | Sure. | 没关系 |
[32:12] | Listen, we’ve thought about it. | 呃 我们考虑过了 |
[32:16] | We would like to hire you. | 我们希望聘请你 |
[32:18] | Really? | 真的? |
[32:19] | I am serious about our trial philosophy. | 我仍然坚持我们的诉讼策略 |
[32:22] | I understand. | 我知道 |
[32:22] | We’re on board with it. | 我们赞同你的策略 |
[32:24] | You obviously get results. | 它显然很有成效 |
[32:26] | Fine. | 好的 |
[32:26] | – The files will be delivered? – Today. | -很快可以签协议吗 -今天 |
[32:28] | I’d like to schedule a coordination | 如果可以的话 我希望下周 |
[32:29] | conference next week if possible. | 召开一次协调会议 |
[32:31] | We can do that. | 没有问题 |
[32:32] | Great. | 好极了 |
[32:33] | I’ll be in touch. | 保持联系 |
[32:35] | Good. | 好的 |
[32:41] | Let him get in the elevator. | 等他走进电梯 |
[32:44] | Four, | 四 |
[32:45] | three, | 三 |
[32:46] | two, | 二 |
[32:47] | one. | 一 |
[32:56] | Be seated. | 请坐下 |
[33:06] | For the past several days | 过去这几天 |
[33:08] | I’ve felt compelled to blame. | 有一种力量驱使我去责备什么人 |
[33:12] | Easy access to guns. | 枪支泛滥 |
[33:14] | Television, | 电视 |
[33:15] | movies, | 电影 |
[33:17] | brainwashing children with violence. | 向孩子们的脑子里灌输了太多的暴力 |
[33:20] | All disgustingly denying any accountability. | 全都令人厌恶地拒绝承担任何责任 |
[33:25] | Blame. | 责备 |
[33:28] | But in this room, young man, | 但是在这个法庭上 年轻人 |
[33:30] | it comes down to your accountability. | 我们要追问的是你个人的责任 |
[33:35] | I doubt that you | 我相信 你自己 |
[33:36] | or anybody else in this room | 以及这个法庭上的任何人 |
[33:39] | will ever make sense of | 永远都不能理解 |
[33:40] | why you killed your mother. | 你为什么会杀死自己的母亲 |
[33:42] | There’s no rhyme, | 没有理由 |
[33:45] | no reason. | 没有原因 |
[33:47] | And ultimately | 归根结底 |
[33:49] | no excuse. | 没有借口 |
[33:52] | You ended your own childhood. | 你亲手终结了自己的童年 |
[33:59] | I’m granting the district attorney’s petition | 本庭采纳控方的动议 |
[34:01] | to charge you as an adult. | 你将作为成年人接受审判 |
[34:07] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[34:40] | I gotta know why. | 我想知道为什么 |
[34:43] | We all fall where we fall on this, Mr. Donnell. | 在这场审判中 我们各尽本分 Donnell先生 |
[34:46] | Nobody’s right, | 无所谓正确 |
[34:48] | nobody’s wrong. | 无所谓错误 |
[34:49] | We all fall where we fall. | 我们只是各尽本分 |
[34:51] | Yeah, but you’re the judge. | 是啊 但是你是法官 |
[34:54] | Yeah, that’s right. | 是 你说得对 |
[34:57] | I’m the judge. | 我是法官 |
[34:58] | You wanna swap places? | 你想调换一下位置吗 |
[35:02] | You could have opted for hope instead of… | 你本来可以选择希望 而不是… |
[35:05] | What makes you think I didn’t? | 你凭什么觉得我没有选择希望呢 |
[35:07] | You know, i sit on that bench every day | 告诉你 我每天坐在法官席上 |
[35:11] | seeing the evil in people. | 看尽了人世的邪恶 |
[35:14] | Hope for me lies in the child. | 我把希望寄托在孩子们的身上 |
[35:19] | Hope | 正是希望 |
[35:21] | won’t allow me to see the child in him. | 令我没法把他当成孩子看待 |
[35:24] | He murdered his own mother. | 他谋杀了自己的亲生母亲 |
[35:28] | That doesn’t sound like legal reasoning to me. | 依我看 你这套解释听起来可不像法律推理 |
[35:31] | Well, legal reasoning can only deal with | 嗯 法律推理只能用来解决 |
[35:35] | the consequences of what he did. | 他的行为所带来的后果 |
[35:39] | And I’ll be damned if I’m going to | 而如果我向下一个持枪的 |
[35:42] | send that message to the next | 13岁男孩传达了错误的信息 |
[35:44] | 13-year-old with a gun. | 我会遭天谴的 |
[35:45] | This was about | 这个案子 |
[35:48] | one 13-year-old. | 只涉及这一个13岁的孩子 |
[35:55] | With the power to make you hate God. | 而他的所作所为会令你憎恨上帝 |
[36:07] | I have to believe | 我必须让自己相信 |
[36:09] | a child couldn’t do that. | 一个孩子做不出这种事情 |
[36:13] | If a child could, | 如果他做得出来 |
[36:15] | then that surely is the death of hope. | 那么无疑意味着希望的彻底破灭 |
[36:33] | An apology lets you out. | 道个歉 你就可以出去 |
[36:36] | You don’t get it. | 你没明白 |
[36:38] | Did you really think we would set him free? | 你真的认为我们应该把他给放了吗 |
[36:41] | I’m naive enough to believe | 看来是我太幼稚 |
[36:43] | the Sixth Amendment means something. | 我真把第六修正案当回事了 |
[36:46] | Liberty doesn’t lie in the Constitution, Mr. Young. | 自由并非存活于宪法之中 Young先生 |
[36:49] | It doesn’t lie in the law or the courtroom. | 它也并不存活于法律或法庭之上 |
[36:51] | It lies in a man’s heart. | 它存活于人的内心 |
[36:54] | And in my heart | 而在我心中 |
[36:55] | I wasn’t going to turn loose a man | 当我知道这个人一定还会杀人的时候 |
[36:58] | who I knew would kill again. | 我不能就这样放了他 |
[37:00] | “The spirit of liberty is the spirit | “自由的精神即是 |
[37:02] | which is not sure it’s right.” | 对其是否正确不很有把握的精神” |
[37:06] | If you’re gonna quote Learned Hand | 如果你要引用勒尼德·汉德的话 【注:美国上诉法院著名法官,前面两人的对话】 |
[37:08] | try to remember the essence of his speech. | 不要忘了他那次演讲的核心 【来自他于1944年在中央公园所做的一次著名演讲】 |
[37:10] | And the spirit of your ruling, judge, | 而你这个判决的精神 法官 |
[37:13] | is that you knew you were wrong. | 在于你明明知道自己是错的 |
[37:15] | We have to be able to sleep at night too. | 我也需要让自己每天晚上能够安心入睡 |
[37:18] | And you didn’t sleep last night, did you? | 那你昨天晚上肯定没有睡着 是吗 |
[37:21] | I congratulate you on your righteousness. | 恭喜你 你坚守了自己的正义观 |
[37:25] | I salute your ability to look at death | 我敬佩你在面对他人死亡的时候 |
[37:28] | and feel nothing but patriotism | 只会为自己在其中扮演的角色感到自豪 |
[37:30] | for playing your part. | 此外再无其它感受 |
[37:31] | We all signed up to do our jobs, judge. | 我们都曾宣誓要尽忠职守 法官 |
[37:33] | You betrayed yours. | 你背弃了自己的誓言 |
[37:35] | And I will not stand here | 我不会站在这里 |
[37:36] | and let you tell me | 任由你来告诉我 |
[37:37] | what’s in my heart. | 我的内心是怎样的想法 |
[37:41] | Now, there’s no crime to being a coward, | 我知道 怯懦退缩并不是什么罪行 |
[37:44] | it just shouldn’t be cloaked in a robe. | 只是你不应该为它披上漂亮的外衣 |
[37:51] | Asbestos class action. | 石棉集体诉讼 |
[37:53] | Lindsay’s backing up her threat | Lindsay要兑现她的承诺了 |
[37:55] | to make us flush. | 让大家都变成有钱人 |
[37:59] | I’d probably celebrate more | 如果我是合伙人 |
[38:00] | if I were a partner. | 我可能会更加高兴的 |
[38:03] | You will be, Jimmy. | 你会成为合伙人的 Jimmy |
[38:06] | How you feeling? | 你感觉怎么样 |
[38:07] | Your wounds healing up okay? | 你的伤口好了没有 |
[38:10] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[38:12] | Yours? | 你呢 |
[38:16] | You mean Spivak? | 你是指Spivak? |
[38:18] | No… | 不是… |
[38:20] | Yeah. | 对 |
[38:23] | I’m fine. | 我没事 |
[38:24] | Just a guy. | 只是个男人而已 |
[38:26] | Another one will come along. | 下一个总在前方等着你 |
[38:29] | Plenty of fish. | 天涯何处无芳草 |
[38:32] | Schools. | 处处是芳草 |
[38:40] | I’ve had judges look the other way before, | 我以前也遇到过有意见分歧的法官 |
[38:42] | but… | 但是… |
[38:43] | But what? | 但是什么 |
[38:44] | Some of the disgust, it’s my own. | 部分的反感 其实来自我自己 |
[38:48] | When my son said: | 当我的儿子说 |
[38:50] | “My dad can get murderers off, | “我爸能帮杀人犯洗脱罪名 |
[38:51] | he can get anybody off”… | 他能帮任何人洗脱罪名” |
[38:55] | it hit me like a train. | 我就像被兜头敲了一记闷棍 |
[38:59] | Since, | 在那之后 |
[39:00] | I’ve been looking at myself through his eyes. | 我一直透过他的眼睛来看我自己 |
[39:05] | What I do. | 我所做的事情 |
[39:08] | What I am. | 我的为人 |
[39:11] | I needed that appeals court for some kind of validation. | 我需要从这个上诉法院找到某种支撑我的理由 |
[39:14] | Eugene Eugene, | |
[39:15] | the disgrace of that ruling belongs to those judges. | 这个判决的不光彩属于那些法官们 |
[39:18] | Not to you. | 并不属于你 |
[39:19] | Explain that to my boy, could you? | 去向我的孩子解释 你能解释清楚吗 |
[39:23] | Courts didn’t want a killer out there, I did. | 法庭不想把杀人凶手无罪释放 我想 |
[39:26] | Explain to him how I’m the good guy, huh? | 向他解释为什么我还是好人 行吗 |
[39:31] | Look, | 听我说 |
[39:32] | it’s not always a meritocracy. | 法律界也并不全是精英 |
[39:35] | I mean, | 我的意思是 |
[39:36] | judges rule for the wrong reasons sometimes. | 有时候法官会做出错误的判决 |
[39:39] | Clients choose you | 客户选中了你 |
[39:40] | because of paint jobs. | 是因为你们漂亮的墙壁 |
[39:43] | Lindsay landed a coup with fake computers. | Lindsay用假电脑在客户面前演了一出好戏 |
[39:46] | And you know what? | 而且你知道吗 |
[39:47] | That case she got, | 她接的这个案子 |
[39:48] | every firm in town would drool over it. | 全市的事务所都会对它垂涎欲滴 |
[39:51] | It can make us a lot of money. | 能给我们带来一大笔律师费 |
[39:55] | But what I’ll go home | 但是今天晚上当我回到家里 |
[39:57] | and celebrate a little tonight | 我愿意为之小小庆祝一下的是 |
[39:58] | is that you and I spent the… | 你跟我在过去这几天… |
[40:01] | the last few days | 在过去这几天里 |
[40:02] | fighting for people | 为我们的当事人而战 |
[40:03] | no firm in this town would touch. | 那些其他事务所碰都不愿碰的当事人 |
[40:08] | And we both lost. | 而且我们俩都输了 |
[40:11] | Maybe it’s right we lost. | 也许输了才是正确的结果 |
[40:13] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[40:16] | But what I do know… | 但我知道的是… |
[40:18] | is what makes the courtroom a noble place | 法庭之所以能成为一个庄严高贵的地方 |
[40:21] | is that people like you go in there and fight. | 是因为有你这样的人来到法庭上战斗 |
[40:26] | Sometimes on principle alone. | 有时候仅仅只是为了坚持原则 |
[40:29] | I don’t know how long I can keep doing it. | 我不知道我还能够坚持多久 |
[40:36] | Me neither. | 我也不知道 |