时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:00] | I just told we have pushed this too fast. | 我感觉我们有点太仓促了 |
[00:02] | The freshier your testimony, the better. | 你的证词越”新鲜” 对你来说越有利 |
[00:04] | I don’t want you up there with just a cold memory. | 你不能带着冰冷的回忆作证 |
[00:06] | The more you still feel it, | 你对当时的感受记忆越清晰 |
[00:07] | the more they will. | 他们就越能感同身受 |
[00:08] | I will never not feel that moment, Bobby. | 我的感受永远都不可能不清晰 Bobby |
[00:11] | Lindsay will open. | Lindsay来做开场陈词 |
[00:12] | They’ll probably put on the detective, the coroner, | 检方可能会传唤警官 验尸官 |
[00:14] | somebody from forensics, | 以及一些司法鉴证人员 |
[00:16] | and that could be it. | 可能就只有这些 |
[00:17] | You could be taken into stand by Thursday. | 你可能会在周四的时候出庭作证 |
[00:18] | Whether we put you on depends on how he does. | 我们会视庭审进展来决定是否让你作证 |
[00:21] | I want to rest on our best note. | 我希望在形势最有利的时候结束举证 |
[00:24] | You ready? | 准备好了吗 |
[00:27] | Um. | 嗯 |
[00:29] | Are you? | 你们呢 |
[00:31] | We’re ready. | 我们准备好了 |
[00:47] | Helen, how are we doing? | Helen 我们那案子怎么样了 |
[00:50] | Well, nothing in his house connecting him to the crime. | 在他家里没有找到能证明他犯罪的证据 |
[00:52] | That’s the good news. | 这是好消息 |
[00:53] | What’s the bad? | 那坏消息呢 |
[00:54] | Um, your buddy George’s little home video library, Ellenor. | 你朋友George收藏的私人影集 Ellenor |
[00:59] | None of them directed by Ron Howard. | 没一部是正经电影 |
[01:02] | Don’t tell me. | 别吓我 |
[01:03] | It’s weird stuff. | 都是些重口味的片子 |
[01:05] | What? You saw it? | 你还真看了啊 |
[01:06] | No, some of the detectives. | 没有 我们有几位警官看过 |
[01:07] | It doesn’t really mean anything, but… | 不能说明什么实质问题 不过… |
[01:09] | Helen, you gotta know the guy was framed, come on. | Helen 你知道他是被陷害的 你想想 |
[01:10] | If you’re gonna kill somebody, | 谁会杀了人以后 |
[01:12] | you don’t then walk around with their head. | 还提个脑袋到处逛啊 |
[01:15] | It’s not my case. | 这不是我的案子 |
[01:19] | You know, I didn’t hear an undertone | 听你的语气 |
[01:20] | that this will probably go away. | George似乎一时还脱不了身? |
[01:22] | Right now, there’re no other suspects. | 眼下 只有他一个嫌疑犯 |
[01:24] | They think they’ve got the right guy. | 他们认为已经抓到真凶了 |
[01:28] | What the hell is going on? | 这到底是怎么回事 |
[01:30] | I’m being railroaded. | 我是被陷害的 |
[01:31] | Look, let’s just focus on the good news. | 我们先看一下对我们有利的消息 |
[01:33] | They found nothing at your house… | 他们在你家里没有找到… |
[01:34] | You said that after they investigated, | 你之前说过 他们经过调查之后 |
[01:36] | I’d probably be set free. | 我就会被释放啊 |
[01:37] | You said that if they didn’t find anything else, | 你之前说 只要他们找不到其它证据 |
[01:39] | they would release me. | 他们就会放了我 |
[01:40] | -I said… -Well, they didn’t find anything else. | -我说的是… -现在 他们什么都没找到 |
[01:42] | And now you’re here telling me that | 可你又过来告诉我说 |
[01:43] | the District Attorney’s office thinks I did it. | 检察官认为是我干的 |
[01:45] | Don’t yell at me, George. I’m trying… | 别冲我吼 George 我一直在努力… |
[01:46] | I will yell, Ellenor, | 我就是要吼 Ellenor |
[01:47] | what the hell is going on? | 这到底是怎么回事 |
[01:49] | -You have to un… -This is insane. | -你得… -简直不可理喻 |
[01:52] | All right, George, | 好吧 George |
[01:54] | let me tell you how this is gonna work. | 听我告诉你应该怎么做 |
[01:55] | You don’t shout at me, ever. | 再不许冲我咆哮 绝对不行 |
[01:57] | Aside from the fact I don’t like it, | 首先 我不喜欢被人咆哮 |
[01:59] | we don’t need some guard here taking the stand | 此外 如果这里的狱警站在证人席上 |
[02:01] | saying he heard you banging | 说听到你拍桌子大吼大叫 |
[02:02] | tables and screaming | 像是做得出杀人砍头的事情 |
[02:03] | like a man who could decapitate somebody. | 那我们可就真的不妙了 |
[02:05] | Now, the police aren’t nuts to hold you. | 警察也不是无缘无故地逮捕你 |
[02:08] | They haven’t found one piece of evidence | 他们没有发现哪怕一丁点证据 |
[02:10] | connecting anybody else to this crime, | 证明其他任何人有犯罪嫌疑 |
[02:12] | you had the victim’s head. | 你随身带着受害者的脑袋 |
[02:14] | Now add to that, your porno collection | 除此之外 你收藏的那些色情电影 |
[02:16] | that makes you seem a little strange, | 会让你看起来更加可疑 |
[02:17] | and add to that, the fact you don’t have an alibi. | 除此之外 你也没有不在场证明 |
[02:19] | I was home. | 我在家啊 |
[02:20] | Yes. And that’s the only thing I have to tell to a jury, | 没错 我能告诉陪审团的就只有这些 |
[02:24] | that while Susan Robin was being murdered, | 我只能说当Susan Robin被害之时 |
[02:26] | you were home along | 你一个人独自在家 |
[02:27] | watching your own private discovery channel. | 对着黄片大饱眼福 |
[02:31] | Let’s just get over the idea that | 他们一时半会是不会把你放掉的 |
[02:32] | they’re gonna free you any second now. | 赶紧打消这个念头吧 |
[02:34] | It isn’t gonna happen. | 那是不可能的 |
[02:38] | We’re in this for the long hall, Geroge. | 我们得准备打持久战了 Geroge |
[02:47] | This just can’t be happening to me. | 我怎么会摊上这种事啊 |
[02:59] | Let me begin by saying thank you for your service. | 首先 我要感谢你们的付出 |
[03:02] | Criminal cases aren’t fun, | 刑事案件并不有趣 |
[03:04] | especially when there involve the taking a human life. | 特别是那些涉及杀人的刑事案件 |
[03:07] | And homocide trials tend to be long. | 而且谋杀案的审判通常很漫长 |
[03:10] | You’ll be relieved to learn , however, | 不过值得你们欣慰的是 |
[03:13] | that here, it will be short. | 在本案中 审判会很短 |
[03:14] | It is uncontroverted, | 双方对案情没有争议 |
[03:16] | which means that you can accept it | 也就是说你们不必再为 |
[03:18] | as fact right now. | 认定案件事实费心了 |
[03:20] | The defendant shot an unarmed man | 被告向赤手空拳的被害人 |
[03:23] | at point blank five times, | 近距离开了五枪 |
[03:25] | killing him. | 杀死了他 |
[03:26] | Now, defense counsel, I suspect, | 以我的猜测 辩方律师 |
[03:28] | might try to put the victim on trial here, | 可能会试图把本案变成对受害者的审判 |
[03:30] | tell you he was a bad guy. | 告诉你们说他是个坏人 |
[03:32] | Perhaps he was. | 也许他的确是坏人 |
[03:34] | But he is not on trial. | 但本案要审判的人不是他 |
[03:36] | He is. | 而是被告 |
[03:38] | The victim didn’t have a gun. He did. | 被害人没有枪 他有 |
[03:42] | The victim didn’t kill anybody. He did. | 被害人没有杀人 而他杀了人 |
[03:46] | Now it’s possible the defense might endeavour | 辩方可能会竭力说服你们相信 |
[03:49] | to convice you their client is a good man. | 他们的当事人是个好人 |
[03:52] | Perhaps he is. | 没准他是好人 |
[03:54] | Though in my experience, | 不过在我的观念里 |
[03:56] | good man don’t execute people. | 好人绝不屠戮他人 |
[03:58] | All I will ask, | 我唯一想恳请各位的是 |
[04:00] | do not let yourselves | 绝不要陷入 |
[04:02] | be drawn into “good guy, bad guy” arguments. | “好人还是坏人”的争论中 |
[04:05] | This isn’t about who he is | 我们要审查的不是”他是谁” |
[04:08] | or what he is, | 或者”他是什么样的人” |
[04:10] | this is about what he did. | 我们审查的是”他做了什么” |
[04:14] | What he did | 他做了什么呢 |
[04:17] | was to shoot a man three times in the chest | 他对另一个人的胸口连开三枪 |
[04:22] | and then twice in the head. | 然后对头部连开两枪 |
[04:25] | What he did was commit a horrific murder. | 他所做的是一起令人发指的谋杀案 |
[04:43] | The evidence will show the victim Raymond Breyer | 证据将显示 被害人Raymond Breyer |
[04:46] | terrorized my client and my client’s family, | 恐吓我的当事人以及他的家人 |
[04:50] | his wife Meredith sitting there, | 他的妻子Meredith就坐在那儿 |
[04:51] | their two children who visit almost every weekend. | 他们的两个孩子 几乎每周末都回家团聚 |
[04:54] | The evidence will show that after being stalked, | 证据还会显示 在被跟踪 |
[04:57] | threatened with violence, vandalised, | 被暴力威胁和被骚扰之后 |
[04:59] | Professor Pearson purchased the gun to protect his family. | 为了保护家人 Pearson教授才买了手枪 |
[05:02] | The evidence will show | 证据还会显示 |
[05:04] | that Professor Pearson picked up that gun, | 当Breyer先生以精神分裂症 |
[05:06] | in fact, to protect himself | 和妄想狂的姿态 |
[05:07] | when Mr. Breyer showed up at his doorstep | 出现在Pearson教授家门口的时候 |
[05:10] | in a paranoid, schizophrenic state, | Pearson教授举枪自卫 |
[05:12] | to protect himself from a deranged person | 以使自己免遭一个精神错乱 |
[05:15] | with a past history of violence. | 且暴行累累之人的侵犯 |
[05:17] | When you listen to all of the evidence carefully, | 当你们仔细审查所有这些证据之时 |
[05:20] | you will see that Mr. Breyer | 你们会看到Breyer先生 |
[05:21] | posed a life threat | 对Pearson先生和他的家人 |
[05:22] | to Mr. Pearson and his family. | 构成了生命威胁 |
[05:25] | I am not surprised the prosecution wants you to | 检方要求你们不要去考虑 |
[05:28] | take the question of who is the good guy | 谁是好人 谁是坏人的问题 |
[05:30] | out of the equation. | 对此我并不惊讶 |
[05:31] | Because the evidence will show Anderson Pearson to be… | 因为证据会显示Anderson Pearson是位… |
[05:39] | I suppose I should admit a bias. | 我承认我有一些偏向性 |
[05:42] | He was my law professor. | 他是我的法学教授 |
[05:43] | And I, like many of my classmates, | 而我和其他很多同学一样 |
[05:46] | walked out of law school, | 当我们走出法学院 |
[05:48] | aspiring to be him. | 便渴望成为他那样的人 |
[05:54] | To think about law school, | 回忆在法学院的日子 |
[05:56] | we all go in dreaming of | 那时的我们都梦想 |
[05:57] | some day arguing the big case. | 有一天能为大案子辩护 |
[05:59] | And the biggest case is, | 而真正的大案子 |
[06:02] | it’s usually a murder trial | 就是在谋杀案中 |
[06:04] | where your client is not only innocent, | 你的当事人不仅是清白无辜的 |
[06:06] | but heroic even. | 甚至是高尚的 |
[06:07] | And he is somebody you care deeply about, | 同时他还是一个你真正关心的人 |
[06:11] | somebody you’d desperately want to save. | 一个让你愿意竭尽全力去拯救的人 |
[06:15] | This is my big case. | 本案就是我的大案子 |
[06:29] | Eugene, they’re not even looking for anybody else. | Eugene 他们甚至根本都没有调查其他人 |
[06:32] | They usually don’t, Ellenor, | 这太正常了 Ellenor |
[06:33] | when they think the got the guy. | 只要他们觉得找到了真凶 |
[06:34] | To them, this case is solved, | 对他们来说 这个案子已经了结 |
[06:36] | which means we gotta investigate. | 所以我们得自行调查 |
[06:38] | And we start by making two lists. | 我们首先要列出两份名单 |
[06:39] | One, who would want to frame Geroge Vogelman? | 一 谁会去陷害Geroge Vogelman |
[06:42] | Two, who would want Susan Robin dead? | 二 谁想让Susan Robin死掉 |
[06:45] | It’s possible George has represented somebody’s chance | 有可能是其他人把George当成替罪羊 |
[06:48] | to get away with murder, | 以逃脱谋杀罪 |
[06:49] | and this whole thing is more about that. | 或许这就是案件的关键突破口 |
[06:51] | Just got a little inside tip from Lindsay. | Lindsay刚刚告诉我一点小内幕 |
[06:53] | Helen told her George and the victim | Helen告诉她 George和被害人 |
[06:56] | did not leave the bar together. | 当晚并非同时离开酒吧 |
[07:02] | Did he make any statement to the effect | 他在向警方陈述的时候是否提到过 |
[07:04] | that he thought the victim was armed? | 他认为被害人身上有枪 |
[07:06] | No, he didn’t. | 不 他没有说过 |
[07:07] | And detective, was there any evidence of a struggle? | 那么警官 现场有没有搏斗的迹象呢 |
[07:11] | No, sir. | 没有 先生 |
[07:12] | Any evidence that suggested that the victim | 有证据显示当时被害人 |
[07:14] | could have been moving toward the defndant? | 有可能正在靠近被告吗 |
[07:17] | No. | 没有 |
[07:18] | We concluded the vicitm was standing flatfooted | 我们认为在开枪的那个时刻 |
[07:20] | about 40 inches away from the defendant | 受害人站在离被告大约 |
[07:22] | at the time of the shooting. | 40英寸远的地方 |
[07:23] | How could you tell that? | 你们怎么知道的 |
[07:24] | The podwer burns on the vicitm, footprints, | 被害人身上的火药残留 脚印 |
[07:27] | the defendant’s statement. | 以及被告的供述 |
[07:29] | He said so himself. | 他自己也是这么说的 |
[07:31] | In fact, Mr. Pearson was very forthcoming, wasn’t he? | 事实上 Pearson先生非常合作 对吗 |
[07:34] | Yes. | 是的 |
[07:35] | And it was Mr. Pearson’s wife that called the police? | 而且是Pearson太太报的警 对吗 |
[07:37] | Yes, that’s correct. | 是的 没错 |
[07:38] | Did the Pearsons ever ask the police to do something | Pearson夫妇是否曾求助过警方 |
[07:42] | to protect them from Mr. Breyer? | 请求保护他们免遭Breyer先生之扰呢 |
[07:44] | They did. | 有过 |
[07:45] | And how did you respond? | 你们是怎么回应的 |
[07:46] | We advised him to seek a restraining order. | 我们建议他们寻求法院禁止令 |
[07:48] | And to your knowledge, | 那么就你所知 |
[07:48] | they got a restraining order, didn’t they? | 他们拿到了禁止令 对吗 |
[07:51] | Yes, they did. | 是的 他们拿到了 |
[07:51] | And yet, here was Mr. Breyer again, | 可是之后 Breyer先生又来了 |
[07:55] | coming to their house. | 逼近他们的房子 |
[07:57] | That seems to be the case. | 应该是这么回事 |
[07:58] | And this Mr. Breyer, | 说到这位Breyer先生 |
[07:59] | he had a police record, correct? | 警方有他的前科 对吧 |
[08:00] | That’s correct. | 是的 |
[08:01] | Three assault convictions, | 三次故意伤害罪 |
[08:03] | one battering with a tire iron. | 一次用撬胎棒斗殴 |
[08:05] | Did you also have knowledge that | 你知道他是 |
[08:06] | he was a paranoid schizophrenic? | 偏执狂型精神分裂症患者吗 |
[08:08] | I have knowledge of today, yes, I do. | 是的 我是今天知道的 |
[08:10] | If he were harassing you, detective, | 警官 如果他也这样骚扰你 |
[08:13] | and he ring your door bell one night, | 某天晚上去按你家的门铃 |
[08:15] | would you answer the door without your gun? | 你开门时会不带着枪吗 |
[08:18] | Probably not. | 可能不会 |
[08:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[08:27] | Will you shoot him five times? | 你会向他连开五枪吗 |
[08:29] | No, I wouldn’t. | 不 我不会的 |
[08:34] | The witness may step down. Mr. Bullock? | 证人可以退下了 Bullock先生 |
[08:46] | The Commonwealth rests, your honor. | 检方举证完毕 法官阁下 |
[09:01] | Maybe it’s good. | 没准这是好事 |
[09:02] | It’s not good. | 这绝对不是好事 |
[09:04] | You don’t just put up | 谋杀案审判中 |
[09:05] | one witness in a murder trial. | 绝不可能只有一位控方证人 |
[09:07] | So, what do they up to? | 那么 他们在搞什么名堂 |
[09:08] | My bet is they’re saving | 我看他们一定是把证据留着 |
[09:09] | their case for rebuttable, | 用来反驳你的作证 |
[09:11] | hoping to get you in a lie. | 想当场拆穿你的谎言 |
[09:12] | But he has admitted everything, | 可是他什么都承认了 |
[09:13] | what’s to impeach? | 还有什么可以拆穿的 |
[09:14] | Is there anything… | 你是不是有什么… |
[09:16] | No! | 没有 |
[09:17] | Well, if you make a single mistake, | 如果你犯下一丁点错误 |
[09:18] | a fact up there, | 编造哪怕一个事实 |
[09:19] | they’ll put up the coroner | 他们会让验尸官 |
[09:20] | or whoever to paint it as a lie. | 或其他人出来反驳 指斥你说谎 |
[09:22] | That’s what this is about. Smart. | 这正是他们的策略 真够绝的 |
[09:26] | Except if we don’t put him on, | 但是如果我们不让他作证 |
[09:27] | those experts can’t testify at all now. | 他们那些专家证人根本连庭都上不了 |
[09:29] | They satisfied their burden, he has to go up. | 他们完成了举证责任 他必须出庭作证 |
[09:33] | Go over the autopsy reports with him. | 你和他好好研究一下尸检报告 |
[09:35] | I gotta get hold our doctor Matthews | 我去搞定我们的证人Matthew医生 |
[09:36] | and our weapon’s guy, | 以及那个武器专家 |
[09:37] | they could be taken the stand by tomorrow. | 他们可能明天就得出庭 |
[09:39] | I’ll see you after lunch. | 我们午饭后再碰头 |
[09:51] | This isn’t that perverted, | 这也没那么变态嘛 |
[09:53] | I mean, at least it’s film, | 我的意思是 至少还算是电影 |
[09:56] | some of those stuff on videotape… | 有些录像带里面的东西… |
[09:58] | That last scene had some sadomasochism going on. | 最后那段场景有些性虐待的内容 |
[10:00] | You had to suppress this, Ellenor. | 你得把它排除出证据 Ellenor |
[10:02] | You can get this late night on show time, | 电视台午夜档也会播这种片子啦 |
[10:04] | I mean, what’s the… | 我是说 也没什么… |
[10:05] | oh, not that you can. | 哦 这段口味确实重了些 |
[10:07] | If this gets admitted into evidence | 这些要是成了呈堂证据 |
[10:09] | George is gonna look like a psyco…. | George会被当做变态… |
[10:10] | Let’s mark up a motion to suppress. | 我们立即申请证据排除 |
[10:12] | Jimmy, I could use that research you did on Davis. | Jimmy 我要借用你对Davis案的检索资料 |
[10:14] | I can pull it right up. | 我马上就可以拿给你 |
[10:15] | You know, I think two women together can be sensual. | 我觉得两个女人做爱还挺爽的 |
[10:19] | Well, great, we’ll call you up as a character witness. | 哦 不错 我会把你列为品格证人的 |
[10:24] | He would call, | 他打电话到我们家 |
[10:25] | he would drive by the house, | 开着车从我们家经过 |
[10:28] | he was terrifying us. | 他在恐吓我们 |
[10:29] | You said he would call, | 你说他打电话 |
[10:31] | did you talk to him? | 你们接了吗 |
[10:33] | Well, at first, we answered, | 开始我们会接 |
[10:34] | then we knew better than to pick up. | 后来我们就学乖了不去接 |
[10:36] | So he began leaving messages. | 于是他开始留言 |
[10:39] | What kind of messages? | 都留些什么话 |
[10:40] | Most of them were along the lines of | 大部分都是些 |
[10:42] | you think you’re better than I am because you’re rich, | 你以为你有钱就高人一等? |
[10:45] | but money can’t buy your health, you know.” | 不过钱买不了你的健康 明白吧 |
[10:48] | He’d say that all the time. | 他会一直说这些 |
[10:49] | And when you got the restraining order? | 你们拿到禁止令以后呢 |
[10:51] | He stopped for a few weeks, | 他停了几周 |
[10:52] | then, well, one morning I went out and | 后来有天早上我出门 |
[10:55] | I saw the garage had been broken into, | 发现车库被人破门而入 |
[10:57] | my car been scraped, the window had been smashed. | 我的车子被划了 车窗也被砸碎了 |
[11:00] | Mr. Breyer did it? | 是Breyer先生干的吗 |
[11:01] | Well, I can only assume. | 我只能猜测是他 |
[11:06] | A few days later, | 几天以后 |
[11:07] | we were watching televison at night, | 有天晚上我们正在看电视 |
[11:14] | I got up to go to the kitchen. | 我起身准备去厨房 |
[11:19] | There he was, the window. | 突然看到他就站在窗边 |
[11:20] | So what did you do? | 那你怎么做的 |
[11:22] | I called the police. They said they’d arrest him. | 我报了警 他们说会逮捕他的 |
[11:24] | Did they? | 他们逮捕他了吗 |
[11:25] | No. | 没有 |
[11:26] | The next night, I just got in home, | 第二天晚上 我刚到家 |
[11:29] | it was barely dark, | 天还不怎么黑 |
[11:32] | and suddenly, | 突然之间 |
[11:34] | Meredith yelled, “he is back.” | Meredith喊道 “他又来了” |
[11:43] | I looked out and there he was, | 我往外一看 果然是他 |
[11:45] | coming up the walk way. | 沿着走道过来了 |
[11:46] | So what did you do? | 你怎么做的呢 |
[11:48] | I went and got my gun. | 我进屋拿了枪 |
[11:50] | You keep the gun? | 你家里一直放着枪? |
[11:51] | Well, I bought it because of this man. | 我是因为他才买的枪 |
[11:53] | And when you went to get your gun, | 当你取枪的时候 |
[11:55] | was it your intent to use it? | 你就准备要开枪吗 |
[11:59] | My intent was to let him know I was armed | 我是想让他知道我有枪 |
[12:01] | and I would use it to protect myself or my family. | 而且我会用它保护自己和家人 |
[12:04] | So what happened? | 接着发生了什么 |
[12:05] | I opened the door and he… | 我打开门 发现他… |
[12:10] | he held up my cat. | 他举着我的猫 |
[12:13] | It was dead. | 它已经死了 |
[12:14] | It looked as if it had been strangled. | 看上去是被勒死的 |
[12:16] | And then what happened? | 然后怎么样了 |
[12:18] | He dropped it at my feet, said, | 他把猫扔到我脚边说 |
[12:22] | “something seems to be wrong with your cat.” | “你的猫好像出了什么毛病” |
[12:26] | The next thing I remember, | 接下来我能记起的就是 |
[12:30] | I was raising my gun, pointing at him. | 我举起枪 指着他 |
[12:33] | I threatened him, | 我警告他 |
[12:34] | I told him if he ever try to hurt us… | 我说如果他敢伤害我们的话… |
[12:36] | And how did he respond? | 他怎么回答的 |
[12:37] | He…he mocked me. | 他…他嘲笑我说 |
[12:39] | How could he hurt us? He was just a mouse. | 他怎么可能伤害我们 他只是只老鼠 |
[12:41] | And then, then he said, | 然后 然后他说 |
[12:43] | “maybe it was a mouse that got your cat.” | “也许你的猫就是被一只老鼠解决的” |
[12:46] | And…and I could see it in his eyes. | 然后…然后我从他的眼神里看出来 |
[12:52] | See what? | 看出来什么 |
[12:53] | He was going to hurt us. | 他要对我们动手了 |
[12:55] | Then what? | 然后呢 |
[12:57] | The next thing I remember, the gun was going off, | 接下来的事 我只记得枪响了 |
[13:00] | and he was falling backwards. | 他向后栽倒 |
[13:04] | Meredith was screaming | Meredith尖叫着 |
[13:05] | and he was lying there, bleeding. | 而他倒在地上流血不止 |
[13:12] | You shot him? | 你向他开枪了 |
[13:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:16] | Professor Pearson, | Pearson教授 |
[13:18] | did you willfully shoot this man? | 你是故意向他开枪的吗 |
[13:22] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[13:24] | You don’t know? | 你不知道? |
[13:26] | I thought myself getting angry | 我想我大概是怒火爆发 |
[13:29] | and I looked at the cat and my hand, | 看着死去的猫 而我的手 |
[13:32] | it just clenched and I was squeezing the gun, | 我的手一紧 我握紧了我的枪 |
[13:35] | and bullets were coming out. | 于是子弹就打了出去 |
[13:37] | It was not something I decided to do. | 我不是故意要这样做的 |
[13:42] | It just…it just happened. | 可是…就那样发生了 |
[13:54] | Give me one reason I should speak to you. | 告诉我 我凭什么要和你说话 |
[13:59] | The reason is I don’t think George Vogelman | 因为我不相信是George Vogelman |
[14:01] | killed your daughter. | 杀死了你的女儿 |
[14:03] | You’re being paid to think that. | 你收了钱 当然这么想 |
[14:04] | I get paid to represent him. | 我收钱是为他辩护 |
[14:07] | What I think isn’t up for sale. | 至于我怎么想 不是钱可以收买的 |
[14:10] | The police seemed pretty sure. | 警方似乎很确定是他 |
[14:12] | Given the circumstances, | 从案情上看 |
[14:13] | it’s pretty easy to be convinced that Mr. Vogelman is involved. | Vogelman先生的确嫌疑很大 |
[14:16] | I’m here making room for the possiblity | 而我现在只是提出有没有这样一种可能性 |
[14:20] | that the real killer is still out there. | 真凶会不会依然逍遥法外 |
[14:22] | That’s why I’ve come here to talk. | 这才是我和您谈话的原因 |
[14:27] | The people I spoken with, | 根据我的了解 |
[14:28] | they say that it’s not normal behavior | 大家都说独自去酒吧 |
[14:31] | for Susan to go to some bar along. | 不像是Susan常做的事 |
[14:33] | It isn’t. | 确实不是 |
[14:34] | Could she have being upset about something? | 她会不会是因为什么事情而情绪低落呢 |
[14:35] | Mr. Vogelman said that | Vogelman先生说 |
[14:36] | when he first started speaking with her, | 他和她第一次交谈时发现 |
[14:38] | she seemed sad. | 她看起来不大开心 |
[14:39] | Is it possible that she could have gone to the bar | 有没有可能她去酒吧 |
[14:42] | -to drown out some kind of sorrow? -I don’t know | -是为了借酒浇愁呢 -我不知道 |
[14:45] | What about her boyfriend? | 会不会是因为她的男友呢 |
[14:46] | Were things good between them? | 他俩之间关系好吗 |
[14:47] | I think so, I… | 我想还好 我… |
[14:51] | I know she loved him. | 我知道她爱着他 |
[14:52] | Which’s the other reason, | 也正因为这样 |
[14:53] | she wouldn’t be going to some motel | 她更不可能和一个 |
[14:55] | with a guy she met at a bar. | 在酒吧认识的人去旅馆开房 |
[14:56] | Could they have a fight? | 那他们会不会是吵架了呢 |
[14:58] | I mean, I mean, was she depressed about that, | 我想 我想 她会不会因此情绪低落 |
[14:59] | going to a bar to… | 而去酒吧… |
[15:00] | She was depressed, | 她是有些闷闷不乐 |
[15:01] | I doubt it was about her boyfriend, Mr. Young. | 我估计不是因为她男朋友 Young先生 |
[15:10] | I was just diagnosed with liver cancer. | 我刚被确诊出肝癌 |
[15:13] | I don’t have much time. | 我活不久了 |
[15:15] | But I still don’t think she would deal with that | 不过我依然认为她不会因为这个事情 |
[15:18] | by going to a bar. | 而去酒吧 |
[15:21] | That’s wrong, we did leave together. | 胡说 我们确实是一起离开的 |
[15:24] | Well, they’ve got witnesses say you didn’t. | 他们有证人说你们不是一起 |
[15:25] | We didn’t walk out the door together. | 我们不是同时出的门 |
[15:27] | I went first coz my car was parked ways off. | 我先出来 因为我的车停得挺远的 |
[15:30] | I went to get it, I drove back to pick her up. | 我得先去拿车然后开回来接她 |
[15:32] | Andbody see her again in the car with you? | 有人看到她和你一起在车里吗 |
[15:34] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[15:35] | What? Do they think I abducted her now? | 怎么了 他们又怀疑我绑架了她是吗 |
[15:37] | Why did you go to a motel, Geroge? | 你们为什么去旅馆呢 Geroge |
[15:39] | You’ve got your place, she has hers. | 可以去你家 也可以去她家 |
[15:41] | Why a motel? | 为什么偏去旅馆 |
[15:43] | Seem more romantic. | 因为会比较浪漫 |
[15:45] | I don’t know, my place was a mess. | 我说不好 可我那儿简直一团糟 |
[15:47] | Too many videotapes string about? | 是因为黄片太多了吗 |
[15:49] | You know what, Ellenor? | 你说什么 Ellenor |
[15:50] | I’m just asking the questions they’ll be asking. | 我只是在问一些 他们必然会问的问题 |
[15:52] | If you have any questions to my innocence | 如果你怀疑我的清白 |
[15:56] | Get up and walk away. | 请你走开 |
[15:59] | I’ll find somebody else. | 我会找其他律师 |
[16:04] | She had her head cut off, for God’s sakes. | 她的头都被砍掉了啊 老天 |
[16:16] | I have a motion schedule | 我起草了一份动议 |
[16:17] | to suppress the videotapes. | 请求把录像带排除在证据之外 |
[16:19] | We don’t want them coming into evidence. | 我们不想让它成为呈堂证据 |
[16:24] | I have no doubt | 我相信检方一定会 |
[16:26] | the prosecution will try to use them. | 想方设法利用这些录像带 |
[16:44] | Is there anything else you need? | 你还有什么需要吗 |
[16:46] | Anybody I can call for you? | 需不需要给谁打个电话 |
[16:49] | No. | 不用 |
[16:59] | You say that your hand just squeezed | 你说你的手只是握了一下 |
[17:02] | and bullets started coming out? | 子弹就开始射出去了? |
[17:04] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:05] | Did you squeeze just once or did you squeeze five times? | 你是只握了一次还是握了五次呢 |
[17:08] | I don’t remember. | 我不记得了 |
[17:09] | You don’t remember? | 你不记得了 |
[17:10] | I was probably in shock, Mr. Bullock, and raged. | 我当时是又震惊又愤怒 Bullock先生 |
[17:14] | The man had killed my cat. | 那人刚弄死了我的猫 |
[17:15] | I was thinking probably he’d kill me, | 我想他可能会杀了我 |
[17:17] | maybe my wilfe. | 或者我的妻子 |
[17:19] | Did you think he was about to kill you or your wife | 当你扣动扳机的时候 |
[17:21] | when you pulled the trigger? | 你是否认为他正要对你们动手呢 |
[17:23] | Well, no, not at that second, but… | 没有 那一刻确实没有 不过… |
[17:24] | So you do have some memory | 就是说 你对你当时的想法 |
[17:26] | of what you were thinking | 还是有一些印象的 |
[17:28] | and you did pull the trigger? | 而你确实扣动了扳机? |
[17:30] | I didn’t consciously pull it, | 我并不是有意识地扣动扳机 |
[17:33] | it just went off. | 枪就那样响了 |
[17:35] | Five times? | 响了五次? |
[17:36] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:37] | See, this is what I have a problem with. | 这我就不明白了 |
[17:39] | The squeeze and release, | 握紧 松开 |
[17:41] | the squeeze and release, | 握紧 松开 |
[17:43] | the squeeze and release, | 握紧 松开 |
[17:44] | the squeeze and release, | 握紧 松开 |
[17:46] | the squeeze and release, | 握紧 松开 |
[17:47] | which I am told is the only way this weapon | 据我所知 只有在这样的情况下 |
[17:50] | could possibly of going off five times. | 这把枪才有可能连开五枪 |
[17:52] | Now I have here the gun, | 现在这把枪就在这里 |
[17:54] | though it’s not loaded. | 虽然没有上膛 |
[17:56] | Could you take this please? | 你能拿一下吗 |
[17:57] | – Objection! – Objection! | -反对 -反对 |
[17:59] | He’s already described what happened, | 他已经描述了案发时的情景 |
[18:01] | I’d like him to demonstrate. | 我就想让他演示一遍 |
[18:02] | I’ll allow it. | 法庭准许 |
[18:04] | -Your honor! -Come on, you gotta be kidding me. | -法官阁下 -拜托 开什么玩笑 |
[18:05] | I’ll allow it! | 法庭准许 |
[18:07] | Sit down, both of you. | 你们两个 给我坐下 |
[18:10] | Could you stand up, Mr. Pearson, and step out? | Pearson先生 你能起身走出来吗 |
[18:18] | I would like you to show us exactly | 请你向我们准确地演示一下 |
[18:20] | how you were holding this gun | 枪响五声之时 |
[18:22] | when it went off five times. | 你是怎么持枪的 |
[18:33] | Could you squeeze please? It’s not loaded. | 你能开一枪吗 里面没子弹 |
[18:35] | Objection! | 反对 |
[18:36] | Counsel, what else are you looking for? | 控方 你还想怎么样 |
[18:38] | I’d like him to make a click five times, your honor, | 我想让他扣五次扳机 法官阁下 |
[18:41] | see how this possibly could happen. | 看看事实是否如其所述 |
[18:43] | Please show us, Mr. Pearson. | 请示范 Pearson先生 |
[19:09] | Thank you, Mr. Pearson. | 谢谢 Pearson先生 |
[19:11] | I’ll take the gun back, please. | 请把枪交还给我 |
[19:23] | I’ll say he possibly could have become violent. | 我会作证说他可能会有暴力倾向 |
[19:27] | I won’t go any further than that. | 其他的我没法说 |
[19:29] | Doctor… | 医生… |
[19:30] | That’s as far as I go, Mr. Donnell, | 我只能说这么多 Donnell先生 |
[19:32] | I am limited to the truth, am I not? | 我必须如实陈述 不是吗 |
[19:37] | Yes. | 是的 |
[19:40] | I’ll see you at the court house. | 那我们就法庭见 |
[19:41] | Doctor, | 医生 |
[19:44] | we don’t want you to do anything but tell the truth. | 我们的确只想让你忠于事实 |
[19:46] | But you don’t know Anderson Pearson. | 可是你不了解Anderson Pearson |
[19:49] | There is no other way to say this, | 我只能这样说 |
[19:51] | he needs you desperately. | 他真的极其需要你 |
[20:06] | Where are we on Schramm? | Schramm那边进展如何 |
[20:07] | Same. | 还是老样子 |
[20:08] | He’ll say the gun could have possibly… | 他会说枪有可能… |
[20:11] | the light trigger and the slightest squeeze. | 因为扳机很松 可以轻易击发 |
[20:14] | He sank himself. | 他葬送了自己 |
[20:16] | It’s not over. | 案子还没结束 |
[20:19] | We still need only one juror. | 我们仍然只需要那么一位陪审员 |
[20:24] | All he had to do is stick with “I don’t remember”. | 他本来只需要坚持说”我不记得了” |
[20:29] | I guess we should have coached him | 我觉得 我们当时应该多教他一下 |
[20:31] | a little better. | 告诉他怎么说 |
[20:31] | Bobby, we did everything | Bobby 除了教唆伪证 |
[20:32] | but suborn perjury, yes, it was. | 我们什么都做了 真的 |
[20:34] | Look, everybody in that room knows what really happened. | 法庭上的每一个人都很清楚事实真相 |
[20:38] | Our job is still the same. | 我们的策略还是不变 |
[20:39] | We just need find one juror | 我们只需要找到一个陪审员 |
[20:41] | to pretend otherwise. | 愿意假装不知道 |
[20:44] | The videotapes would have no relevance whatsoever, | 录像带和本案毫不相关 |
[20:47] | except the comment on my client’s character | 只会给我的当事人的形象抹黑 |
[20:49] | which is totally inadmissible. | 因此完全应予排除 |
[20:50] | We’ll be offering the tapes only to show a pattern, | 我们举示录像带只是为了证明惯例 |
[20:52] | your honor. | 法官阁下 |
[20:53] | A pattern? | 惯例? |
[20:54] | Some of the tapes involve | 其中有一些录像带中的 |
[20:55] | sexual scenes which border on sadomasochism. | 性爱场景接近性虐待 |
[20:58] | We believe we can show | 我们认为可以证明 |
[20:59] | a statistical correlation | 某种统计学上的相关性 |
[21:01] | between the men who commit sex crimes… | 存在于性犯罪者和… |
[21:03] | This is so ridiculous. | 太荒谬了 |
[21:04] | Can I finish? | 能让我说完吗 |
[21:05] | This is a homocide case, it is not a sex crime. | 这是谋杀案 不是性犯罪 |
[21:08] | We don’t know that, counsel. | 我们还未确定呢 律师 |
[21:09] | There is no evidence of rape or forced… | 根本没有任何强奸或施暴的证据… |
[21:12] | Or, is there any conclusive evidence | 那么有没有确凿的证据能够排除 |
[21:15] | that the intercourse didn’t occur after she was headless. | 先砍头然后奸尸的可能性呢 |
[21:22] | Your honor, as an officer of this court, | 法官阁下 作为一名法律人 |
[21:24] | I must go on record | 我对你刚才的说法感到恶心 |
[21:25] | with my disgust with that comment. | 我要求将我的恶心记录在案 |
[21:27] | Take exception all you want. But the fact remains. | 随便你怎么反感 可事实就摆在那儿 |
[21:30] | The police have never even suggested such a scenario. | 连警方都从未提出过你说的那种情况 |
[21:33] | I doubt they even considered it. | 我认为他们根本就没有考虑过 |
[21:34] | Maybe they should. | 也许他们应该考虑一下 |
[21:38] | Under the heading, | 只有内心变态的人 |
[21:39] | the depravity too can be an eye of the beholder. | 看别人才都是变态 |
[21:41] | I would ask that you be recused from this case. | 因此 我请求你回避这个案件 |
[21:43] | Your honor… | 法官阁下… |
[21:44] | I can tell you George Vogelman could not be capable of | 我告诉你 George Vogelman绝不可能 |
[21:46] | having such a sick thought. | 有如此变态的念头 |
[21:47] | I would hate for him to be | 让一位有这样变态念头的法官 |
[21:48] | in the hands of a judge who could be. | 来主持对他的审判 我坚决不能接受 |
[21:50] | Look, we’re getting way of track now. | 我们已经离正题太远了 |
[21:51] | The issue today is these videotapes. | 今天的争议在于那些录像带 |
[21:53] | I want to see this specific tapes | 我想先看看这些录像带的具体内容 |
[21:56] | -we’re talking about before I make… -You would. | -然后再做出… -你当然会看的 |
[21:58] | Ellenor Ellenor. | |
[21:59] | I will see the tapes in question, then I’ll make my ruling. | 我会先看看这些录像带 然后做出裁决 |
[22:07] | Defense calls Doctor Walter Matthews to the stand. | 辩方传唤Walter Matthews医生出庭作证 |
[22:10] | Sidebar, your honor. | 请求上前商议 法官阁下 |
[22:20] | We object to this witness | 我们以不具备关联性为由 |
[22:22] | on grounds of relevance. | 反对此人作证 |
[22:23] | What’s your offer of proof? | 你们想证明什么 |
[22:25] | Doctor Matthews will testify that Mr. Breyer | Matthews医生会证明Breyer先生 |
[22:27] | posed a risk of danger to my client and his family. | 对我的当事人及其家人的安全构成了威胁 |
[22:29] | Which might be revelant | 只有当你们以正当防卫来辩护时 |
[22:30] | if you’re arguing self-defense. | 这些证词才有关联性 |
[22:32] | But under the theory that | 但你们现在的辩护理由是 |
[22:34] | Mr. Pearson involuntarily pulled the trigger, | Pearson先生是无意识扣动了扳机 |
[22:36] | the victim’s state of mind has no meaning. | 因此 受害人的精神状态毫无意义 |
[22:39] | I agree. | 我同意 |
[22:40] | Your honor, panic, fear, anger, | 法官阁下 惊慌 害怕 愤怒 |
[22:43] | it all affected into | 正是这些因素导致 |
[22:44] | my client’s clenching onto that gun, | 我的当事人握紧他的枪 |
[22:46] | to the extent that the victim posed | 以至于在某种意义上 |
[22:48] | a risk of bodily harm. | 受害人的确构成了人身威胁 |
[22:49] | You’re trying to squeeze in self-defense, counsel. | 你们是在试图向正当防卫靠拢 律师们 |
[22:53] | We’re not. | 我们没有 |
[22:54] | The only thing revelant is your client’s state of mind. | 唯一跟案件有关的是被告的心理状态 |
[22:57] | This witness has nothing | 这位证人不能就被告的心理状态 |
[22:58] | to say to that. | 提供任何证言 |
[22:59] | This witness will speak to the threat posed by the victim | 这位证人可以证明受害人形成的威胁 |
[23:02] | which goes to | 这种威胁影响了 |
[23:02] | Anderson Pearson’s state of mind. | Anderson Pearson的心理状态 |
[23:04] | It’s a nice try. | 想法很好 |
[23:06] | You’re shutting down our whole defense. | 你封死了我们所有的辩护理由 |
[23:08] | I’m shutting down this guy. | 我只是不允许这个人作证 |
[23:10] | He is not relevant. | 而他与本案无关 |
[23:12] | I want our objection noting for the record. | 我要求将我们的反对意见记录在案 |
[23:14] | So noted. Step back. | 记入笔录 下去吧 |
[23:18] | Doctor Matthews, you’re excused. | Matthews医生 你不必作证了 |
[23:24] | Get ouf of my face, Eugene. | 离我远点 Eugene |
[23:25] | I’m in your face, Ellenor. | 我偏要呆在你面前 Ellenor |
[23:26] | I was staying in your face… | 我当时就在你眼皮底下… |
[23:27] | A guy says something like that in an open court, | 如果有人在公开的法庭那样大放厥词 |
[23:29] | I don’t care if he is a judge or… | 我才不管他是法官还是… |
[23:30] | The point is to win the motion, | 我们的目标是要赢下动议啊 |
[23:31] | if you take it on the judge, that… | 你要是和法官对着干 那么… |
[23:32] | We already lost the motion! | 我们已经输掉了这个动议 |
[23:34] | You don’t know that! | 你怎么知道的 |
[23:34] | What happened? | 怎么回事 |
[23:35] | -She went ballistic on a judge in an open court. -I did not go ballistic! | -她在庭上和法官斗气 -我没斗气 |
[23:38] | All right. | 行啦 |
[23:39] | He suggested that my client had sex with the headless coprse. | 他竟然说我的当事人和无头女尸性交 |
[23:42] | -So I’m supposed to… -Maybe he did us a favor. | -我难道应该… -可能他恰恰帮了我们 |
[23:44] | What? | 你说什么 |
[23:45] | Now we get an idea how people see things. | 我们现在知道旁观者是怎么想的了 |
[23:48] | Ellenor, this was a beautiful woman with a boyfriend. | Ellenor 受害人是一个有男朋友的漂亮女孩 |
[23:50] | You ever asked yourself | 你有没有问问自己 |
[23:51] | what the hell she is doing with George? | 她到底为什么会和George在一起 |
[23:52] | Maybe you just assume a pretty girl | 也许你理所当然地认为漂亮女孩 |
[23:54] | would go to a motel with a slob like him. | 没准就是愿意和这种傻帽去开房 |
[23:56] | But the jury won’t. | 可是陪审团未必买账 |
[23:57] | You keep looking at this and saying, | 你一直不停地告诉自己说 |
[23:58] | of course he is innocent. | 他当然是无辜的 |
[23:59] | But you’re the only one doing that. | 可是只有你是这样想的 |
[24:01] | And if you don’t get some perspective real fast, | 你要不是还不能马上看清楚形势 |
[24:03] | then at least be a good lawyer and a good friend | 不管是作为他的律师 还是作为他的朋友 |
[24:05] | to tell George to hire himself a new attorney, | 为他着想 你至少该建议George换一个律师 |
[24:07] | coz he didn’t have a good one in court today. | 因为他的律师今天在庭上表现糟糕透了 |
[24:11] | It’s an extremely light trigger. | 这把枪的扳机非常轻 |
[24:14] | This is a sophisticated and sensitive firearm. | 算得上精致而灵敏的武器 |
[24:17] | Now you heard Mr. Pearson’s testimony, | 你已经听过Pearson先生作证说 |
[24:18] | that his hand clenched on the trigger, | 他的手紧握住扳机 |
[24:21] | and five shots fired. | 接着枪响了五次 |
[24:23] | Is that possible, Mr. Schramm? | 这有可能吗 Schramm先生 |
[24:27] | If he squeezes the trigger one time, | 如果他只是紧握了一次扳机 |
[24:28] | it will not be possible | 枪是不会连开五枪的 |
[24:29] | for the weapon to discharge five times, no. | 那应该是不可能的 |
[24:34] | Is it your testimony that it’s impossible, Mr. Schramm? | 你是说这绝对不可能吗 Schramm先生 |
[24:37] | The way he described it. | 按他说的那种方式 的确绝无可能 |
[24:39] | I think what happened was this, | 而我认为情况是这样的 |
[24:41] | his hand seized up a little, and trembled, | 他的手有点不听使唤 有些发抖 |
[24:45] | causing the fingers to, to shake, | 导致手指也跟着 跟着颤抖 |
[24:48] | maybe even twitch a little bit. | 甚至可能会发生抽搐 |
[24:49] | If that happened, | 如果真的是这样 |
[24:50] | it’s not only possible | 那么枪连续开火 |
[24:52] | for the gun to go off again and again, | 就不仅仅是存在可能性 |
[24:54] | I would consider it likely. | 我认为是很有可能 |
[24:56] | Likely? | 很有可能? |
[24:57] | Yeah, you have to understand this gun has an automatic recoil. | 对 要知道这把枪有自动回弹装置 |
[25:01] | If his hand is trembling, pulling at the trigger, | 如果他的手在颤抖的情况下触动了扳机 |
[25:05] | but not pulling too hard, | 但是又不是很用力的话 |
[25:06] | it will recoil automatically and fire automatically. | 它就会自动回弹 自动开火 |
[25:10] | It’s extremely plausible. | 这样就非常合情合理了 |
[25:14] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:15] | Not only do I reject that likelihood, | 我不但不承认那样的可能性 |
[25:17] | I’m offended by Mr. Schramm’s testimony. | Schramm先生的证词简直是对我们的冒犯 |
[25:19] | Why is that, sir? | 为什么呢 先生 |
[25:21] | Well, as manufacturer of this particular firearm, | 作为这把枪的制造商 |
[25:23] | I take exception to the notion that these weapons | 对于此枪可因手指的颤动而开火的说法 |
[25:26] | just go off with the tremble of a finger. | 我完全不能接受 |
[25:29] | It’s preposterous, you have to pull, | 这太可笑了 只有用力扣动扳机才能触发 |
[25:33] | Semi-automatic or not. | 不管是不是半自动手枪 |
[25:35] | Of course if these guns could go off with a trembling squeeze, | 很显然 如果这把枪因为手颤抖就能走火 |
[25:38] | you might be exposed to a massive product liability action. | 你们就会面临大量的产品责任诉讼 |
[25:41] | Which is one of the reasons | 这正是我们不允许 |
[25:42] | we wouldn’t let the gun be so temperamental. | 把枪的性能造得如此不稳定的原因之一 |
[25:44] | And also a reason you’d be sitting in court spouting | 同时也是你为何会坐在法庭上 再三强调 |
[25:46] | that it could never happen. | 那种情况不可能发生的原因之一 |
[25:48] | I can’t say the morning went well, | 上午的情况不太妙 |
[25:50] | but Schramm was much better than I ever thought. | 不过Schramm表现得远远好于我的预料 |
[25:52] | The trembling fingers, | 发抖的手指 |
[25:54] | he could bought us reasonable doubt. | 他可能会为我们争取到合理怀疑 |
[25:55] | So where are we? | 那我们情况怎样 |
[25:58] | I would love to be able to put on a witness | 我非常希望能够找到一位证人 |
[26:00] | who saw your hands started to shake. | 说亲眼见到你的手在发抖 |
[26:02] | If we had that to back up Schramm’s testimony, | 如果有这样的证人来支持Schramm的证词 |
[26:05] | plus we could end up on an emotional high point. | 再加上在情感的制高点上收尾 |
[26:08] | Otherwise, | 否则的话 |
[26:13] | I think we’re still behind. | 我觉得我们仍然落于下风 |
[26:19] | I saw his hand shake. | 我看见他的手发抖了 |
[26:30] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 |
[26:32] | I’m positive. | 我非常确定 |
[26:39] | Good. | 很好 |
[26:43] | Then you’re up next. | 接下来由你出庭作证 |
[26:51] | He was pointing the gun and | 他当时举着枪 然后 |
[26:53] | I could just see his face going red. | 我看到他的脸色变得发红 |
[26:57] | Did you say anything to your husband? | 你对你丈夫说什么没有 |
[27:00] | No. | 没有 |
[27:00] | He’s pointing a gun at a man, | 他正用枪指着别人 |
[27:02] | his face is going red, | 他的脸越涨越红 |
[27:03] | and you didn’t say anything? | 而你就没有说句什么? |
[27:05] | Like “put the gun down”? | 比如”快把枪放下”之类的吗 |
[27:07] | No. I thank God he had that gun, | 没有 我暗暗庆幸他带了枪 |
[27:10] | otherwise I didn’ t know | 否则我简直不敢想象 |
[27:11] | what that man would do to us. | 那个男的会怎样对我们 |
[27:12] | Everything seem to go in slow motion. | 一切都好像是慢镜头一样 |
[27:15] | And then, Anderson’s hand started to shake. | 然后我看到 Anderson的手开始发抖 |
[27:20] | Not a lot, but it was trembling. | 幅度不大 但确实是在颤抖 |
[27:23] | He was standing there like a statue. | 他像座雕像似的站在那里 |
[27:26] | Then suddenly, | 突然之间 |
[27:29] | bullets just started coming out. | 子弹就那样开始射出来了 |
[27:32] | Mrs. Pearson, | Pearson太太 |
[27:33] | your husband is on trial here for executing a man. | 你的丈夫今天因为杀人而受到审判 |
[27:38] | And I’m telling you that’s not how it happened. | 我要告诉你 事实不是那样的 |
[27:44] | He is the most gentle man on earth. | 他是这个世界上最温文尔雅的人 |
[27:54] | I would ask you | 我真想请你们 |
[27:55] | to put yourself in his position. | 设身处地的想一想他当时的处境 |
[27:59] | But it would be impossible for you to do so. | 然而那是不可能的 |
[28:05] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[28:17] | You love your husband very much? | 你很爱你的丈夫吧 |
[28:19] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:20] | And you don’t want to see him go to prison, do you? | 而你不想眼看着他进监狱 对吗 |
[28:23] | Of course not. | 当然不想 |
[28:24] | When the police asked you that night, what happened, | 案发当晚 警察问你发生了什么的时候 |
[28:30] | you didn’t tell them anything about any shaking hand, did you? | 你可根本没提到什么发抖的手 对吗 |
[28:33] | I was in shock that night. | 当时我还惊魂未定 |
[28:42] | Nothing further. | 我没问题了 |
[28:58] | George, I want to apologize for what happened this morning. | George 我为今天上午的事向你道歉 |
[29:02] | I just lost it in there, when the judge said… | 我在庭上情绪失控了 当法官说… |
[29:04] | I know. | 我理解 |
[29:06] | Thank you for losing it. | 谢谢你情绪失控 |
[29:10] | Ok, George, it’s brutal truth time, | George 残酷的真话时间到了 |
[29:15] | me first. | 我先说 |
[29:17] | The idea that you could do what happened to that girl, | 要我相信你真的对那女孩下手 |
[29:21] | not only can I not believe it, | 不仅我做不到 |
[29:23] | but it might be impossible for me to believe it. | 而且我根本不可能那样想 |
[29:28] | You and I talked on the phone every night for a month. | 我们整整一个月每晚都在电话里聊天 |
[29:31] | We shared some of our most intimate secrets. | 我们互相分享了各自许多最深的隐私 |
[29:34] | And the idea that I could have… | 一想到我可能会… |
[29:36] | you know, not seeing… | 你知道 没看出来… |
[29:38] | What are you saying? | 你想说什么 |
[29:43] | I mean, meaning, that maybe, | 我是说 有可能 |
[29:45] | I had some denial of myself. | 我有些不愿意接受现实 |
[29:47] | Obviously I don’t wanna admit | 我显然不想承认 |
[29:49] | that I could misjudge somebody so… | 我会对一个人看走眼 以至于… |
[29:50] | it’s just possible that | 有可能正是因为我 |
[29:52] | some of my own denials would cause me… | 不愿意接受这样的现实 所以我… |
[29:54] | You are not sure | 你对我的清白 |
[29:58] | about my innocence? | 并不确定 对吗 |
[30:00] | I believe that you are innocent. | 我相信你是清白的 |
[30:06] | I’m just not necessarily sure | 我只是不确定 |
[30:08] | that I can trust myself too. | 我能不能完全相信我自己 |
[30:14] | Forget about what I believe, | 别管我相信什么 |
[30:16] | forget about what you want me to believe. | 也别去管你想让我相信什么 |
[30:18] | You’re in trouble | 你现在有麻烦了 |
[30:19] | and you could go away for it | 而且你的一生有可能就此毁掉 |
[30:21] | and your very best chance of not going away | 你最好的脱身办法 |
[30:23] | is by telling me the truth. | 就是跟我说实话 |
[30:30] | Did you kill the girl? | 是你杀的她吗 |
[30:34] | No, Ellenor. | 不是的 Ellenor |
[30:43] | But it doesn’t really matter, does it? | 可那已经不重要了 对吗 |
[30:48] | If I can’t convince you, | 如果我连你都说服不了 |
[30:52] | what chance do I have with 12 strangers? | 那十二个陌生人怎么会放了我 |
[31:05] | We all know what really happened. | 我们都知道发生了什么 |
[31:07] | When Mr. Breyer killed that cat, | 当Breyer先生杀了那只猫 |
[31:10] | it was the last straw. | 被告终于忍无可忍 |
[31:11] | Can we understand | 我们是否能理解 |
[31:13] | why Anderson Pearson pulled that trigger? | Anderson Pearson为何要扣动扳机 |
[31:15] | Of course. | 当然能 |
[31:16] | Who amongst us wouldn’t be tempted? | 在座各位谁能忍得了呢 |
[31:19] | He had enough. | 他受够了 |
[31:22] | I don’t think the defense counsel really expects you | 我不认为辩方律师真的指望你们 |
[31:25] | to believe that he involuntarily pulled the trigger. | 相信他是无意中扣动了扳机 |
[31:28] | This all comes down to a simple bet. | 这说穿了就是一个简单的赌博 |
[31:35] | The defense is wagering that you’ll say, | 辩方赌你们会说 |
[31:38] | “to hell with the law”, | “让法律见鬼去吧” |
[31:42] | and endorse **. | 然后判他无罪 |
[31:46] | We bet, | 而我们赌的是 |
[31:48] | we hope, | 我们希望的是 |
[31:53] | you won’t. | 你们不会这样做 |
[32:02] | How dare anybody say “we all know”? | 怎么会有人敢说”我们都知道” |
[32:08] | None of us can pretend to know | 我们没人有资格假装知道 |
[32:10] | what that moment must be like. | 那一刻究竟发生了什么 |
[32:13] | When a man who has stalked you, | 当一个人长期跟踪你 |
[32:16] | a man who has vandalised your property, | 当一个人毁坏你的财产 |
[32:19] | a man who has a diagnosed | 当一个人是个经确诊的 |
[32:21] | violence schizophrenic | 精神分裂的暴力狂 |
[32:22] | shows up at your front door, | 当他出现在你的家门口 |
[32:23] | says he won’t hurt you coz he is just a mouse, | 说他不会伤害你 因为他不过是只耗子 |
[32:27] | the mouse has just strangled your cat. | 一只刚刚勒死你的猫的耗子 |
[32:31] | We all know? | 我们都知道? |
[32:33] | Like normal thought patterns | 面对这种情境 |
[32:35] | go through your head at a moment like this? | 你们的心中还能平静如水吗 |
[32:38] | You heard | 一个小时前 |
[32:38] | Meredith Pearson tell you an hour ago | 你们听到Meredith Pearson对你们说 |
[32:40] | it would be impossible to put yourself | 你们根本不可能设想将自己 |
[32:42] | into my client’s position. | 置身于我的当事人的处境 |
[32:43] | His hands started to tremble, | 他的手开始颤抖 |
[32:49] | his fingers slightly seized, | 他的手指轻轻地一握 |
[32:52] | the gun went off. | 枪就响了 |
[32:54] | You heard Anderson Pearson tell you that. | 你们从Anderson Pearson那里亲耳所到 |
[32:56] | Meredith Pearson saw it. | Meredith Pearson亲眼所见 |
[32:59] | John Schramm, an expert on this weapon, | John Schramm 专门研究这种武器的专家 |
[33:01] | showed you how this kind of tremble with a light trigger | 亲口对你们说 这种颤抖加上松弛的扳机 |
[33:03] | and the auto recoil could cause this exact result. | 以及自动回弹装置 刚好会导致这种结果 |
[33:07] | We all know. | 这才是我们都知道的 |
[33:08] | Like my associate predicted at the very start, | 正如我的同事一开始预计的那样 |
[33:11] | the prosecution stayed far away from asking | 控方始终对谁是好人的问题 |
[33:13] | who is the good guy here. | 避而不谈 |
[33:14] | Because that we do know. | 因为那才是我们真正知道的 |
[33:16] | Anderson Pearson is no criminal. | Anderson Pearson不是罪犯 |
[33:20] | The question here is | 现在的问题在于 |
[33:22] | are you going to hand him a life sentence | 你们是否会判他终身监禁 |
[33:25] | because we all know? | 仅仅只是因为”我们都知道”? |
[33:33] | It’s just so easy, isn’t it? | 这也太轻率了 不是吗 |
[34:21] | I think we got a chance with reasonalbe doubt. | 我认为陪审团有可能认定存在合理怀疑 |
[34:25] | But what Bullock said, | 不过Bullock的陈词 |
[34:27] | are ringing pretty sure there. | 确实非常有说服力 |
[34:30] | I’d like to offer manslaughter right now. | 我建议以非蓄谋杀人罪跟检方谈交易 |
[34:33] | Parole, you’d be out in three years. | 可以假释 你三年之后就可以出来 |
[34:36] | It’s crazy for us | 冒险去赌另一种结果 |
[34:37] | to roll the alternative. | 对我们来说太不明智了 |
[34:41] | Prison? | 要坐牢吗 |
[34:42] | Three years is | 比起18年到终身监禁 |
[34:43] | better than 18 to life, Meredith. | 三年已经非常好了 Meredith |
[34:50] | Professor? | 教授 |
[34:57] | Professor? | 教授 |
[35:17] | The clock is ticking. | 时间不等人 |
[35:19] | They could come back. | 陪审团随时可能做出裁决 |
[35:21] | I’m tempted. | 说说你的方案 |
[35:22] | We both went with manslaughter, Kevin. | 我们以非蓄意杀人结案 Kevin |
[35:26] | Three years. | 三年监禁 |
[35:27] | He shouldn’t do more, he shouldn’t do less. | 少于三年轻了 多于三年就重了 |
[35:29] | I think he should do more, Bobby. | 我认为应该多于三年 Bobby |
[35:35] | Four? | 四年? |
[35:39] | Four and a half? | 四年半? |
[35:42] | I’m gonna reject the offer. | 我拒绝你的方案 |
[35:44] | You really think they want to put him away? | 你真认为他们愿意把他送进监狱吗 |
[35:45] | Do they want to? No. | 他们愿意吗 不愿意 |
[35:47] | But will they? | 但他们会吗 |
[35:50] | I’m staying with murder two. | 我坚持二级谋杀 |
[35:59] | You should have seen his face, Eugene. | 你该看看他的表情 Eugene |
[36:03] | When I doubted him, | 当我怀疑他时 |
[36:05] | he just fell from the inside out. | 他整个人都崩溃了 |
[36:08] | I might as well pronounced him dead. | 我几乎可以说他已经死掉了 |
[36:13] | You believe he is innocent? | 你相信他是无辜的吗 |
[36:14] | I know it, Eugene. | 我知道他是无辜的 Eugene |
[36:17] | I know it. | 我知道 |
[36:21] | Then we fight for him, Ellenor. | 那我们就为他而战 Ellenor |
[36:23] | Somebody else did it, | 凶手另有其人 |
[36:24] | we go to work on find it out who. | 我们就努力去把他找出来 |
[36:26] | We fight. | 我们为他而战 |
[36:27] | Will you first-chair? | 你来做主办好吗 |
[36:30] | I think I’m too close. | 我怕自己当局者迷 |
[36:32] | I’ll first-chair | 我来做主办 |
[36:34] | and we’ll win. | 而且我们一定能赢 |
[36:37] | I’ll hear it the same time you do, ** | 我也只能跟你们同时听判决结果 |
[36:42] | Mr. Donnell, are you feeling confident about an acquittal? | Donnell先生 你对无罪开释有信心吗 |
[36:44] | We have nothing to say, please excuse us. | 无可奉告 抱歉 |
[36:45] | Are you surprised the jury | 你是否对陪审团这么快 |
[36:46] | came back so quickly? | 做出判决感到意外呢 |
[36:52] | They’re televising again? | 又是电视直播吗 |
[36:53] | She let cameras in for the verdict. | 法官允许媒体拍摄宣判过程 |
[36:55] | How long were they out? | 陪审团审议了多久 |
[36:56] | Less than two hours. | 不到两小时 |
[36:57] | What does that mean? | 那说明什么呢 |
[36:58] | -Acquittal. -Guilty. | -无罪 -有罪 |
[37:04] | Bring them in. | 带他们进来吧 |
[37:29] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[37:33] | Madam Foreperson, the jury has reached its verdict? | 首席陪审员女士 陪审团做出判决了吗 |
[37:36] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[37:38] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[37:39] | Commonwealth vs. Anderson Pearson | 马萨诸塞州诉Anderson Pearson |
[37:41] | on the charge of murder in the second degree, | 关于二级谋杀的指控 |
[37:44] | we find the defendant Anderson Pearson | 我们判决被告Anderson Pearson |
[37:47] | guilty. | 罪名成立 |
[37:49] | The bailiff will take the defendant into custody. | 请法警将被告即刻收监 |
[37:55] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团的成员们 谢谢你们的付出 |
[37:58] | -I’ll be alright, -Oh, my God. | -我会没事的 -上帝啊 |
[38:00] | -don’t worry about me. -No, no. | -别担心我 -不 不要 |
[38:01] | This matter is adjourned. | 休庭 |
[38:13] | We’ll appeal, we’ll explore whatever options. | 我们会上诉的 我们会尽一切努力 |