| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:03] | What? | 怎么了 | 
| [00:04] | There is a head in the bag. | 包里面有个人头 | 
| [00:05] | It’s the woman I met at the bar last night. | 是我昨晚在酒吧遇见的那个女人 | 
| [00:07] | What’re you doing with her head? | 你带着她的头干什么 | 
| [00:08] | I don’t know, somebody put it in there. | 我不知道 别人放进去的 | 
| [00:10] | George Vogelman George Vogelman, | |
| [00:11] | you’re under arrest for the murder of Susan Robin. | 现在因为涉嫌谋杀Susan Robin逮捕你 | 
| [00:13] | Give me one reason I should speak to you. | 告诉我 我凭什么要跟你谈话 | 
| [00:15] | The reason is I don’t think George Vogelman | 因为我相信George Vogelman | 
| [00:18] | killed your daughter. | 没有杀害你的女儿 | 
| [00:19] | Your buddy George’s little home video library, Ellenor. | 你朋友George的小小家庭录像集 Ellenor | 
| [00:22] | This isn’t that perverted. | 这个也没那么变态 | 
| [00:24] | If this gets admitted into evidence, | 如果这个成为呈堂证据的话 | 
| [00:25] | George is gonna look like a psyco. | George就会被当成变态 | 
| [00:27] | Let’s mark up a motion to suppress. | 我们马上申请证据排除 | 
| [00:28] | Some of the tapes involve sexual scences | 有些录像带涉及的性场面 | 
| [00:30] | which border on sadomasochism. | 已经近似于SM了 | 
| [00:32] | This is a homocide case, it is not a sex crime. | 这是一起谋杀案 不是性犯罪案件 | 
| [00:35] | I want to see the specific tapes | 我想先看看这些录影带的具体内容 | 
| [00:38] | -we’re talking about before I make… -You would. | -然后我才能决定… -你当然会看的 | 
| [00:40] | Ellenor Ellenor. | |
| [00:41] | I will see the tapes in question, | 我会看一下这些争议的录影带 | 
| [00:43] | then I’ll make my ruling. | 然后做出裁决 | 
| [00:45] | Anderson Pearson, my staff show professor, | Anderson Pearson 我的法学院教授 | 
| [00:47] | he just shot somebody, dead. | 他刚刚开枪杀了人 | 
| [00:49] | Did you think he was about to kill you or your wife | 你在扣动扳机的时候 | 
| [00:52] | when you pulled the trigger? | 认为他即将杀害你或者你的妻子吗 | 
| [00:53] | Well, no, no at that second, but… | 呃 没有 当时没有 但是… | 
| [00:54] | So you do have some memory | 所以对于当时你怎么想的 | 
| [00:56] | of what you were thinking? | 你还是记得一点? | 
| [00:58] | I didn’t consciously pulled it. | 我不是有意识地扣动的 | 
| [01:00] | It just went off. | 它就这样发射了 | 
| [01:02] | You’re trying to squeeze in self-defense, counsel. | 你们是在试图向正当防卫靠拢 律师 | 
| [01:05] | We’re not. | 我们没有 | 
| [01:06] | It’s a nice try. | 想法不错 | 
| [01:08] | You’re shutting down our whole defense. | 你封死了我们所有的辩护策略 | 
| [01:10] | I want our objection noting for the record. | 我要求将我们的反对意见记录在案 | 
| [01:12] | So noted. Step back. | 记入笔录 下去吧 | 
| [01:14] | On the charge of murder in the second degree, | 对于二级谋杀罪名的指控 | 
| [01:16] | we find the defendant Anderson Pearson | 我们判决被告Anderson Pearson | 
| [01:18] | guilty. | 罪名成立 | 
| [01:37] | Could we possibly spread a few more papers? | 我们还能再多铺一点纸吗 | 
| [01:39] | Some places I can see the floor. | 我还是能看见一些地板 | 
| [01:41] | It’s only for a couple of days, Helen, | 就这几天的事情 Helen | 
| [01:43] | As long as the floor is clean underneath. | 只要地板下面是干净的就行了 | 
| [01:44] | This is the Pearson appeal? | Pearson的上诉案? | 
| [01:46] | Yep. | 是的 | 
| [01:47] | You know, Lindsay, I don’t mean to sound pessimistic. | Lindsay 我不是想说让你泄气的话 | 
| [01:49] | Then don’t. | 那就别说 | 
| [01:50] | Ok, could you at least clean the floor a little? | 好吧 那你能不能至少稍微整理一下地板 | 
| [01:52] | This is the first date tonight. | 这是初次约会之夜 | 
| [01:54] | So? | 所以呢 | 
| [01:54] | So, I’m not gonna bring a guy | 所以 我才不会第一次约会 | 
| [01:56] | into my bedroom on the first date. | 就把男人带进我的卧室 | 
| [01:57] | If we’re gonna go to town, | 要是我们想卿卿我我 | 
| [01:59] | it’s gonna happen right here on this rug. | 我们就选在这个地方 在地毯上 | 
| [02:02] | Kidding, a joke. | 开玩笑啦 笑话 | 
| [02:04] | Come on, think back to when you had a sense of humor, | 拜托 回想一下你以前是有幽默感的 | 
| [02:07] | when was the last time you’ve even laughed? | 你上次笑是什么时候了 | 
| [02:08] | Probably college, | 可能是在大学吧 | 
| [02:09] | I came home one night, | 我有一晚回家 | 
| [02:10] | and there you were going to town with some guy on the rug. | 发现你正在地毯上跟个帅哥卿卿我我 | 
| [02:13] | Kidding. | 开玩笑啦 | 
| [02:14] | I thought you swore off blind dates. | 我还以为你戒相亲了 | 
| [02:16] | I did. | 是戒了 | 
| [02:17] | But Lecent Cole promised I wouldn’t be disappointed. | 但是Lecent Cole保证我不会失望 | 
| [02:22] | Here goes. | 这就来了 | 
| [02:31] | Helen Helen? | |
| [02:32] | Absolutely. | 正是 | 
| [02:34] | -Hi. -Hi. | -嗨 -嗨 | 
| [02:37] | Ready? | 准备好了? | 
| [02:38] | Absolutely. | 当然 | 
| [03:33] | The biggest problem is | 最大的问题在于 | 
| [03:34] | the police aren’t even looking for anybody else, | 警察根本就没想过调查其他人 | 
| [03:36] | they consider the case solved. | 他们认为案子已经结了 | 
| [03:38] | And their theories to why | 那他们觉得我为什么 | 
| [03:39] | I would carry around her head? | 会拎着她的头到处跑 | 
| [03:42] | You’re sick. | 因为你变态 | 
| [03:46] | Not that they’re offering, | 虽然他们还没给任何条件 | 
| [03:48] | but would you be it all open to a plea? | 不过我想问你愿不愿意接受认罪交易 | 
| [03:51] | What kind of plea? | 认什么罪 | 
| [03:52] | Manslaughter, | 非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [03:57] | insanity. | 精神失常 | 
| [04:01] | No. I wouldn’t be open to that. | 不 我不能接受这种认罪协议 | 
| [04:12] | Complete transcripts are expensive. | 完整的庭审记录很贵的 | 
| [04:14] | I asked for complete, Lucy, | 我要求的是完整的 Lucy | 
| [04:15] | the hearing is scheduled for this afternoon. | 听证会就安排在今天下午 | 
| [04:17] | Well, I can’t listen without ears, | 你要是再这么大声吼 | 
| [04:18] | which I won’t have | 我耳朵都要被你震聋了 | 
| [04:19] | if you bite my head off. | 那我就再也听不到你吼什么了 | 
| [04:21] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 | 
| [04:21] | I asked for all the trial transcripts, | 我要求的是所有的庭审笔录 | 
| [04:23] | she only got pre-trial. | 她只拿到了审前程序的笔录 | 
| [04:24] | It’s pre-trial rulings we’re appealing. | 我们上诉针对的就是审前的裁决 | 
| [04:25] | I asked for them all. | 我要的是所有的 | 
| [04:27] | Chomp, chomp, munch, munch. | 咬死我好了 | 
| [04:29] | Lucy Lucy. | |
| [04:30] | Bobby, do you know what Jimmy’s case is about? | Bobby 你知道Jimmy的案子是怎么回事吗 | 
| [04:31] | I know, his cousin’s wrongful termination. | 知道 是他表哥非法解除劳动合同 | 
| [04:33] | Yes, but do you know the details? | 对 但是你知道具体细节吗 | 
| [04:35] | No. | 不知道 | 
| [04:35] | He fired this worker… | 他开除的那个人… | 
| [04:36] | What’s your problem, Rebecca? | 你有什么问题吗 Rebecca | 
| [04:37] | The problem? | 什么问题 | 
| [04:38] | It’s a two day trial tops. | 这最多就是个两天的案子 | 
| [04:40] | His cousin fired this woman | 他的表哥开除了那个女人 | 
| [04:42] | for being Iranian. | 就因为她是伊朗人 | 
| [04:43] | He’s being sued. I gotta defend him. | 他被人告了 我得帮他应诉 | 
| [04:45] | He is my cousin. | 他是我的表哥 | 
| [04:46] | What’s your defense? | 你的抗辩理由是什么 | 
| [04:47] | A defense? | 抗辩理由? | 
| [04:49] | Yes. On the charge of wrongful termination, | 是啊 对于非法解除劳动合同的诉请 | 
| [04:51] | what’s your defense gonna be? | 你的抗辩理由是什么 | 
| [04:53] | She is Iranian. | 她是伊朗人 | 
| [04:56] | It’s a jury trial. | 这是陪审团审判 | 
| [05:06] | If those tapes come into evidence, | 如果这些录像带允许呈堂 | 
| [05:08] | the jury is gonna be prejudice | 陪审团会产生偏见的 | 
| [05:09] | and that’s exactly why he wants to use them. | 这正是他想举示这些证据的目的 | 
| [05:11] | Sexual disorder certainly may be relevant. | 性变态当然可能与案件有关 | 
| [05:13] | He has an adult video collection, | 他喜欢收藏成人电影 | 
| [05:15] | that doesn’t suggest a sexual disorder | 并不意味着他就是性变态 | 
| [05:17] | and that’s exactly the kind of leap | 他正希望陪审团会做出 | 
| [05:18] | he wants the jury to make. | 这种跳跃式的推断 | 
| [05:19] | Your client allegedly cut off | 你的当事人被指控 | 
| [05:21] | a woman’s head, Mr. Young. | 砍下了一个女人的头 Young先生 | 
| [05:22] | Are you afraid the jury will think less of him | 你还怕因为他收藏了那些电影 | 
| [05:24] | because of his film library? | 陪审团就不把他当成一个好人吗 | 
| [05:27] | The issue is whether | 案件的焦点在于 | 
| [05:28] | he cut off that head. | 他有没有砍下别人的头 | 
| [05:29] | That film library is not relevant to that issue. | 那些电影与这个问题并不相干 | 
| [05:32] | It’s only being introduced | 举示那些电影的目的 | 
| [05:34] | to suggest some depravity. | 只是想证明他道德堕落 | 
| [05:36] | And it’s that pattern of depravity | 正是他这种一贯的道德堕落 | 
| [05:38] | that goes to the issue of whether or not | 关系到核心的关键问题 | 
| [05:40] | this man has the capacity to behead somebody. | 即他能否做出杀人砍头的事情 | 
| [05:44] | The tapes are inadmissible. What else? | 录像带不准呈堂 还有吗 | 
| [05:48] | Your honor! | 法官阁下 | 
| [05:49] | They’re not coming in, counsel. | 它们不能作为证据 律师 | 
| [05:55] | They won’t let you out for the hearing. | 他们不会允许你出去参加听证会 | 
| [05:57] | I heard. | 我听说了 | 
| [06:00] | This is the supplemental memorandum I’m filing. | 这是我准备提交的补充书面意见 | 
| [06:02] | Basically, we’re gonna argue judge Hiller was wrong | 基本上 我们的主要上诉意见是 | 
| [06:04] | not to let us argue self-defense. | Hiller法官不准我们打正当防卫是错的 | 
| [06:08] | Ok, look, | 哦 是这样 | 
| [06:11] | I had some of the lawyers at my firm | 我让我们事务所的一些律师 | 
| [06:13] | read the brief. | 看了你的上诉状 | 
| [06:15] | They thought it was well written. | 他们觉得写得很好 | 
| [06:19] | But ultimately unpersuasive. | 但是总的来说 还是没有说服力 | 
| [06:22] | Tell your lawyers to go to the hearing. | 让你们的律师去听证会现场看看 | 
| [06:24] | There is a reason we have oral arguments. | 我们的口头辩论可不是走过场 | 
| [06:27] | Oh, I, I didn’t mean to be critical, | 哦 我 我没有指责你的意思 | 
| [06:29] | I, I meant… | 我 我是说… | 
| [06:33] | thank you for fighting so hard | 谢谢你在希望如此渺茫的情况下 | 
| [06:36] | with so little to fight with. | 还这么努力地争取 | 
| [06:38] | There is no reason we have to give up. | 我们没有理由放弃 | 
| [06:45] | I had been promoted twice within the last year, | 光是去年一年我就升了两次职 | 
| [06:49] | and I was going to be promoted to manager this January. | 本来今年一月我是要被提升做经理的 | 
| [06:52] | So things were going well at work? | 这么说 你工作上的事情都很顺利? | 
| [06:54] | Very well. | 非常顺利 | 
| [06:55] | And what happened? | 那么发生了什么意外情况 | 
| [06:57] | Well, last March, | 去年三月份 | 
| [06:58] | I was getting ready to leave on vacation | 我正准备去度假 | 
| [07:02] | and almost in passing, a coworker asked me where I was going. | 有个同事随口问我要去哪里 | 
| [07:05] | I told him I was going home to see my parents | 我告诉他我准备回家去看我的父母 | 
| [07:07] | and he asked me where home was. | 他就问我家在哪儿 | 
| [07:09] | Where is home? | 你家在哪里 | 
| [07:11] | Iran. I was born in there. | 伊朗 我生在那儿 | 
| [07:13] | And then what? | 然后呢 | 
| [07:15] | Suddenly I seem to be facing | 突然之间 我就好像 | 
| [07:16] | kind of a cold front in the office. | 在办公室里遇上了一股冷空气 | 
| [07:20] | About a month later, | 大概一个月之后 | 
| [07:21] | Mr. Martini came to me | Martini先生找到我 | 
| [07:22] | and said things weren’t working out. | 说我不能在公司待下去了 | 
| [07:25] | And he let me go. | 然后他就让我离职 | 
| [07:27] | Your relationship with your coworker, | 你和你同事的关系 | 
| [07:28] | you felt kind of a cold front? | 你觉得有点像冷空气? | 
| [07:31] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:31] | In fact, you went to my client | 事实上 你曾经向我的当事人 | 
| [07:33] | and complained about this, right? | 抱怨过这个情况 是不是 | 
| [07:34] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:35] | People were being insubordinate, | 大家都不服从你的管理 | 
| [07:37] | isn’t that the word you used? | 这是不是你的原话 | 
| [07:39] | I believe so. | 是的 | 
| [07:40] | Affecting your ability to be a productive manager? | 导致你没法成为一名高效的经理人? | 
| [07:43] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [07:44] | Why did you come to America, Ms. Bader? | 你为什么到美国来 Bader小姐 | 
| [07:47] | I first came as an exchange student in high school. | 我最初是以交换生的身份来念的高中 | 
| [07:50] | Then I stayed on for college. | 接着我留下来读大学 | 
| [07:52] | Now I live here. | 现在我在这里定居 | 
| [07:53] | As an American citizen? | 以美国公民的身份? | 
| [07:55] | No, on a VISA. | 不 签证 | 
| [07:57] | Do you plan to become an American citizen? | 你打算成为美国公民吗 | 
| [07:59] | Not really. | 没这个打算 | 
| [08:00] | You like Iran? | 你喜欢伊朗 | 
| [08:02] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [08:03] | -How do you feel about all the terrorism that… -Objection. | -你是怎么看待那些恐怖分子… -反对 | 
| [08:06] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [08:07] | Mr. Berluti, let’s take care. | Berluti先生 注意点 | 
| [08:09] | Ms. Bader, you’re a proud Iranian? | Bader小姐 你为身为伊朗人感到自豪吗 | 
| [08:13] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [08:15] | You honor this flag? | 你尊敬这面国旗? | 
| [08:17] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [08:20] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 | 
| [08:22] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 | 
| [08:34] | I’ve told the police everything I know. | 我知道的全都告诉警察了 | 
| [08:36] | I understand. | 我理解 | 
| [08:37] | And Jay, we realize how hard this must be. | Jay 我们知道这有多难 | 
| [08:41] | Please, don’t insult my intelligence. | 拜托 别侮辱我的智商了 | 
| [08:43] | You’re the guy’s lawyer, so… | 你们是那个人的律师 所以… | 
| [08:44] | The guy who killed your girlfriend is not George Vogelman. | George Vogelman没有杀害你的女朋友 | 
| [08:47] | We think he was framed. | 我们认为他是被陷害的 | 
| [08:50] | By who? | 被谁陷害 | 
| [08:52] | That we don’t know. | 我们不知道 | 
| [08:53] | One question that keeps coming up, | 有一个问题是无法回避的 | 
| [08:55] | why would Susan be alone in a bar drinking? | 为什么Susan会独自在酒吧里喝酒 | 
| [08:57] | Why would she go to a motel | 为什么她会和George Vogelman | 
| [08:59] | with George Vogelman? | 去旅馆开房? | 
| [09:00] | By everybody’s account, it is out of her character. | 所有人都觉得 她不是那样的人 | 
| [09:02] | It is. | 的确 | 
| [09:03] | Her father getting cancer, | 她父亲得了癌症 | 
| [09:04] | do you think she could been depressed about that? | 你觉得她是因为这件事而抑郁吗 | 
| [09:09] | Could be. | 可能吧 | 
| [09:11] | Could be something else? | 也可能是其他事情吗 | 
| [09:16] | Jay, you seem like an honest guy, | Jay 你看起来很诚实 | 
| [09:18] | we’ve got an innocent man | 我们有个无辜的当事人 | 
| [09:20] | looking at conviction. | 他可能被判有罪 | 
| [09:21] | Part of their case is the notion that | 检方指控的依据之一在于 | 
| [09:23] | Susan could never have gone off on someone nighter. | Susan绝不会是通宵泡吧的那种人 | 
| [09:26] | Can you think of anything that | 你能想到任何事情 | 
| [09:28] | could possibly explain why she would? | 也许可以解释她的行为吗 | 
| [09:34] | Police said that it wouldn’t have to come out. | 警察说这件事情没必要说出来 | 
| [09:37] | What? | 什么 | 
| [09:40] | I had been a little unfaithful to Susan. | 我背着Susan在跟其他人约会 | 
| [09:47] | That afternoon, she caught me. | 那天下午 她发现了 | 
| [09:54] | Do you think, maybe, to retaliate, | 你觉得 也许为了报复你 | 
| [09:55] | she could have gone home from the bar with some guy? | 她会不会和某个酒吧里认识的人回家 | 
| [09:59] | Is that possible? | 有这个可能吗 | 
| [10:01] | Ms. Frutt, | Frutt小姐 | 
| [10:03] | I’ve spent the last two months | 在过去这两个月里 | 
| [10:05] | desperately try to convince myself | 我一直想尽办法试图说服自己 | 
| [10:06] | that isn’t possible. | 没有这个可能 | 
| [10:16] | You article down there and peeking in that court? | 你有没有去法庭上看一下是什么情况 | 
| [10:18] | Rebecca Rebecca. | |
| [10:19] | It’s obscene. | 简直丢人现眼 | 
| [10:19] | You want the anti-defamation league peek in our office? | 你想让”反诽谤联盟”的人来我们事务所调查吗 【总部设在美国的非政府组织,致力于反歧视】 | 
| [10:22] | It’s a trial, qualified immunity. | 诉讼中的言论 我们有豁免权 | 
| [10:23] | Well, that can’t excuse it. | 豁免权也不是挡箭牌 | 
| [10:25] | This office is getting way too hostile for me. | 我觉得 事务所的敌对气氛也太重了点 | 
| [10:27] | Why don’t you just go in… | 你为什么不进… | 
| [10:28] | Come on, Bobby, we’re late. | 走吧 Bobby 我们快迟到了 | 
| [10:40] | She was the manager, | 作为经理 | 
| [10:42] | and her leadership ability was, was suffering. | 她的管理能力因此…因此受到影响 | 
| [10:45] | Because she was Iranian? | 就因为她是伊朗人? | 
| [10:46] | I certainly don’t agree with the bigotry, | 我当然不赞成这种狭隘的偏见 | 
| [10:48] | but I have a dry-cleaners to run, and… | 但是我还得继续经营干洗店 并且… | 
| [10:52] | well, it wasn’t running so well. | 呃 生意本来就不是很好 | 
| [10:55] | What about calling a meeting, | 那为什么不召集大伙开个会呢 | 
| [10:57] | telling your employees | 告诉你的员工 | 
| [10:58] | that bigotry won’t be accepted? | 你的公司不允许歧视? | 
| [11:00] | It wasn’t so much what people were doing | 重要的不在于人们怎么做 | 
| [11:02] | so much as what they were feeling. | 而在于人们怎么想 | 
| [11:04] | And, and, and I was powerless to control that. | 但是我没有能力控制别人的想法 | 
| [11:09] | And the feeling was anti-Iranian? | 所谓的想法 指的是反伊朗? | 
| [11:12] | Anti-Iranian, anti-Arab, | 反伊朗 反阿拉伯 | 
| [11:14] | basically Middle East. | 主要针对中东地区 | 
| [11:16] | And you agree that this feeling was a form of prejudice? | 你也认为 这样的想法算是一种偏见? | 
| [11:18] | Of course. | 当然 | 
| [11:19] | But you tolerated it? | 但是你能容忍它? | 
| [11:21] | Well. | 呃 | 
| [11:21] | You fired her, Mr. Martini, | 你开除了她 Martini先生 | 
| [11:23] | we could say you ratified the bigotry. | 我们可以说你认可了这种歧视 | 
| [11:26] | Well, you could. | 你要那么说也可以 | 
| [11:26] | But I had 18 workers come up and threatened to quit. | 但是我有十八个员工跑来威胁说要辞职 | 
| [11:29] | My choice basically was | 我的选择基本上就是 | 
| [11:31] | either discharging your client | 要么开除你的当事人 | 
| [11:32] | or facing chapter 11. | 要么等着破产 | 
| [11:35] | I see. | 我明白了 | 
| [11:37] | And if Ms. Bader were black, | 如果Bader小姐是黑人 | 
| [11:40] | and your workers threatened to quit | 当你的员工威胁要辞职 | 
| [11:41] | because they didn’t want to work with an African-American, | 因为他们不想和非裔美国人一起工作 | 
| [11:45] | would you have fired her? | 你还会开除她吗 | 
| [11:46] | Probably not. | 可能不会 | 
| [11:47] | What’s the difference? | 那区别是什么呢 | 
| [11:48] | Possibly none, but, | 可能没区别 但是 | 
| [11:50] | but, complaining about the color of a person’s skin is, is… | 但是 歧视一个人的肤色是…那是… | 
| [11:54] | that’s racism which, which lies in hatred and, and ignorance. | 那是种族歧视 是源于仇恨 和无知 | 
| [11:58] | I mean, here, here, I, | 但是 在…在我这里 我 | 
| [12:00] | I feel there were some patriotism involved and, | 我觉得有一些爱国主义的成分在里面 | 
| [12:02] | and I guess it wasn’t | 所以我觉得这对我而言 | 
| [12:04] | quite as repulsive to me. | 并没有那么令人反感 | 
| [12:07] | He willfully withheld evidence. | 他是有意隐瞒证据 | 
| [12:09] | I did no such thing. | 我没有 | 
| [12:10] | You have a duty to turn over all evidence, | 你有义务开示所有的证据 | 
| [12:11] | you just can’t say… -Don’t start with all of your… | -你不能说… -别跟我说… | 
| [12:13] | I don’t listen when two people talk. | 两个人抢着说话 我一个也听不了 | 
| [12:15] | They have an absolute duty | 他们应该无条件地 | 
| [12:17] | to turn over all exculpatory evidence. | 向我们开示所有可以证明无罪的证据 | 
| [12:19] | Material evidence, this… | 那是针对实质证据 而这个… | 
| [12:20] | Let him finish, please. | 拜托 请让他说完 | 
| [12:22] | The boyfriend of the victim provided the prosecution | 受害人的男朋友对检方所做的陈述 | 
| [12:25] | with a reason that the victim may have gone to a bar | 能够解释受害人为什么会去酒吧 | 
| [12:28] | and may have been predisposed to one night stand. | 以及为什么可能会去找一夜情 | 
| [12:31] | He did not turn that information over to us. | 他没有把这一信息披露给我们 | 
| [12:33] | Why not? | 为什么 | 
| [12:35] | We didn’t consider it | 我们认为这不是实质性证据 | 
| [12:35] | either material or relevant. | 而且与案件无关 | 
| [12:37] | What’s the information? | 他说了什么 | 
| [12:39] | She’d caught him that very day with another woman. | 她在事发当天发现他和另一个女人偷情 | 
| [12:45] | Mr. Tisbury, the break you catch here | Tisbury先生 现在你得庆幸 | 
| [12:47] | is that this came out before trial. | 这是在庭审之前被发现的 | 
| [12:49] | Your honor, that statement… | 法官阁下 他的陈述… | 
| [12:50] | As of this second, I don’t trust you. | 此时此刻 我已经不信任你了 | 
| [12:54] | You’re going into trial | 你即将面对一场庭审 | 
| [12:55] | with a judge who doesn’t trust you. | 而法官却不信任你 | 
| [12:57] | So if you’re going to make any more mistakes | 所以从现在开始 | 
| [13:00] | from this point on, | 如果你再犯任何错误 | 
| [13:01] | I suggest you err to their side. | 我建议你犯有利于他们那方的错误 | 
| [13:04] | There was no willful attempt to withhold evidence. | 我们并没有故意隐瞒证据的意图 | 
| [13:07] | Then how unfortunate that I don’t believe you. | 那太不幸了 我不相信你 | 
| [13:13] | My position is that judge Hiller erred | 我认为Hiller法官错了 | 
| [13:15] | when she denied our right to assume self-defense. | 她不能禁止我们用正当防卫来辩护 | 
| [13:17] | I see no such denial in the record. | 笔录里面没有说她禁止你们打正当防卫 | 
| [13:19] | If you read the trascripts, | 如果你读过笔录 你会看到 | 
| [13:20] | she threatened us with a bad jury instruction | 她威胁我们说 如果我们打正当防卫 | 
| [13:22] | if we went the road of self-defense. | 她给陪审团所做的指示将对我们不利 | 
| [13:23] | It wasn’t a ruling. | 但那不是正式的裁定 | 
| [13:24] | It was tend to amount to a ruling, | 可是效果上相当于正式的裁定了 | 
| [13:25] | it has the effect of shutting us down on… | 实际上是禁止了我们… | 
| [13:27] | Are you now suggesting it was self-defense? | 你现在的意思是 被告是正当防卫吗 | 
| [13:29] | Coz that gives me a problem, counsel. | 那样会产生一个新的问题 律师 | 
| [13:31] | Which is? | 什么问题 | 
| [13:33] | At trial, you agrued that the gun went off involuntarily, | 在庭审当中 你们主张枪是无意中走火了 | 
| [13:36] | your client testified to that. | 你的当事人作证的时候也是这么说的 | 
| [13:38] | Then now, you’re saying self-defense. | 而现在 你又说是正当防卫 | 
| [13:40] | Did your client commit perjury on the stand? | 那你的当事人是不是在庭上做伪证了 | 
| [13:42] | First of all, this hearing | 首先 这次听证会 | 
| [13:44] | is about judge Hiller’s ruling, | 是关于Hiller法官的裁定 | 
| [13:46] | not my client’s testimony. | 而不是我的当事人的证词 | 
| [13:47] | So we should ignore the truth… | 所以我们应该忽略这个事实… | 
| [13:48] | Secondly, defendants can assert alternative defenses. | 其次 被告可以选择多种辩护理由 | 
| [13:51] | We could have argued, A | 我们本来可以辩护说 一 | 
| [13:53] | he shot him in self-defense, | 他开枪是正当防卫 | 
| [13:54] | and B, it went off involuntarily. | 二 枪走火了 | 
| [13:56] | That’s permissible. | 这是允许的 | 
| [13:57] | What this hearing is about is | 这次听证会要审查的是 | 
| [13:59] | judge Hiller deny us | Hiller法官禁止我们 | 
| [14:01] | one of those defenses. | 采用其中一种辩护理由 | 
| [14:02] | So basically, | 所以基本上 | 
| [14:03] | you’re saying had judge Hiller not cut your off, | 你是说如果Hiller法官没有禁止 | 
| [14:05] | self-defense would have been your theory? | 你们会以正当防卫来辩护? | 
| [14:06] | Exactly. | 正是 | 
| [14:07] | Are we all up to speed now? | 我们总算搞清楚在说什么了吗 | 
| [14:13] | Do you really mean to be snide with us, Ms. Dole? | 你真的想这样嘲讽我们吗 Dole小姐 | 
| [14:15] | Actually, yes. | 事实上 是的 | 
| [14:17] | You wouldn’t be asking these questions | 要是你们读过了我的上诉状 | 
| [14:19] | if you’ve read my brief. | 你们就不会问这些问题了 | 
| [14:20] | I’m discouraged to realize you haven’t, | 我很沮丧地发现你们并没有读 | 
| [14:22] | I, I hope you’ll at least | 我 我希望你们回去至少 | 
| [14:23] | reprimand your clerks. | 批评一下你们的书记员 | 
| [14:24] | Let’s just address your issue, then. | 我们还是回到正题吧 | 
| [14:28] | She cut off self-defense | 她否决了正当防卫 | 
| [14:30] | because the victim | 理由是受害人当时 | 
| [14:30] | wasn’t posing an imminent threat. | 并没有形成迫切的威胁 | 
| [14:33] | That was wrong. | 那是错误的 | 
| [14:34] | The threat to my client | 针对我的当事人的威胁 | 
| [14:35] | was both real and ongoing. | 既是真实的 也是持续的 | 
| [14:37] | Mr. Pearson was in fear of his life | 在Pearson先生开枪的那个时刻 | 
| [14:39] | at the time he pulled the trigger. | 他觉得他的生命受到了威胁 | 
| [14:40] | The victim had no gun, | 受害人并没有枪 | 
| [14:42] | my clerk did highlight that part. | 我的书记员专门把这一点标出来了 | 
| [14:45] | In defining imminent, | 研究以往的案例 | 
| [14:46] | if you look at the cases, | 你会发现在定义”迫切”的时候 | 
| [14:47] | the courts basically come down to these questions: | 法庭一般会考查以下这些问题 | 
| [14:50] | Was there any alternative? | 当时有别的选择吗 | 
| [14:52] | Could he have used less force? | 他可以用较轻微的武力吗 | 
| [14:54] | Could he have escaped? | 他可以逃跑吗 | 
| [14:55] | Could he have retreated? | 他可以撤退吗 | 
| [14:56] | Could he have just held a gun point until the police arrived? | 他可以举着枪一直等到警察来吗 | 
| [14:59] | In the situation, | 在本案当中 | 
| [15:00] | the answer seems to be “yes” to all of those options. | 这些问题的答案似乎全都是肯定的 | 
| [15:03] | But the reality for all those options | 但是做了那些选择之后的现实情况是 | 
| [15:04] | is that man would be back. | 他还会回来 | 
| [15:06] | Perhaps. | 也许吧 | 
| [15:06] | But as judge Hiller noted, | 但是正如Hiller法官所指出的 | 
| [15:08] | we weren’t at that point when… | 当时的情况并没有达到… | 
| [15:09] | And to require him to wait | 要求他在当时的情况下 | 
| [15:11] | till that point is unreasonable. | 等到危急的那一刻是不现实的 | 
| [15:13] | Are you asking us to rewrite the law? | 你是在要求我们改写法律吗 | 
| [15:15] | No. | 不是 | 
| [15:15] | Some states have recognized a kidnap exception. | 有些州的法院已经认可”绑架例外”原则了 | 
| [15:18] | Basically, if a man kidnaps somebody | 基本上 如果有人绑架了另一个人 | 
| [15:20] | and tells the victim he is gonna kill him in a month, | 并且告诉他 他要在一个月以后杀了他 | 
| [15:22] | that victim doesn’t have to wait a whole month | 那么受害人不必等一个月的期限到了之后 | 
| [15:24] | until he is allowed to use deadly force. | 才可以使用致命的武力 | 
| [15:26] | True. But Mr. Pearson wasn’t kidnapped. | 是的 但是Pearson先生并没有被绑架 | 
| [15:29] | In effect, he was. | 在实际效果上 他被绑架了 | 
| [15:30] | He was basically held captive. | 他相当于已经被俘虏了 | 
| [15:32] | He gone to the police, they couldn’t help. | 他去报警 警察无能为力 | 
| [15:34] | He got a restraining order from the court, it didn’t help. | 他拿到了法院签发的禁止令 也没有用 | 
| [15:37] | The time was coming. | 时机已经成熟了 | 
| [15:39] | And we’re saying Anderson Pearson | 我们难道还要说Anderson Pearson | 
| [15:41] | should have waited until the exact moment? | 应该等到所谓的最后时刻 | 
| [15:43] | Suppose Raymond Breyer came in night | 试想Raymond Breyer在他们 | 
| [15:45] | while they were sleeping? | 晚上睡觉的时候闯进来 | 
| [15:46] | There is no evidence of | 但并没有证据证明 | 
| [15:47] | any direct threat to kill Mr. Pearson. | Pearson先生的生命受到了直接威胁 | 
| [15:49] | It was certainly implied. | 显然是可以推断出来的 | 
| [15:51] | I could argue it was direct with | 我可以说 通过”猫和老鼠”的那段对话 | 
| [15:53] | the “cat-mouse” exchange. | 可以推断出来 | 
| [15:54] | And whether it was direct or not, | 并且不管是不是直接的 | 
| [15:55] | Anderson Pearson had a reasonable belief | Anderson Pearson都有正当的理由 | 
| [15:58] | that it was. | 相信是那样的 | 
| [15:59] | Oh, it still seems like a reach | 哦 听起来还是太过勉强 | 
| [16:01] | to apply the kidnap… | 把”绑架例外”原则适用到… | 
| [16:02] | But we’re entitled to that reach | 但是我们有权向陪审团提出 | 
| [16:04] | before a jury. | 这种勉强的辩护理由 | 
| [16:06] | Judge Hiller shut it down. | Hiller法官却否决了 | 
| [16:08] | It’s error. | 她错了 | 
| [16:20] | Time Magzine or Newsweek? | 时代杂志还是新闻周刊 | 
| [16:23] | They went easier on Ricky Jewell. | 他们对Ricky Jewell都没这么严厉 | 
| [16:26] | Listen to this, | 听听这个 | 
| [16:27] | Helpless podiatrist | 无助的足科医生 | 
| [16:28] | whose social life consisted of pornography videos | 他的社交生活只是色情电影 | 
| [16:31] | and women he met through the personals. | 以及通过交友广告认识的女人 | 
| [16:35] | I was one of them. | 我就是其中一个 | 
| [16:36] | Except you kept your head about it. | 不同的是 你的头还完好无损 | 
| [16:42] | I spoke to everyone of his friends. | 我跟他所有的朋友都谈过了 | 
| [16:44] | And? | 然后呢 | 
| [16:46] | They all use three words to describe him: | 他们都用三个词来形容他 | 
| [16:49] | Gentle, kind, loner. | 温和 友善 孤僻 | 
| [16:55] | He is in trouble. | 他麻烦大了 | 
| [16:56] | The girl’s father and brother have agreed to see me tomorrow. | 死者的父亲和哥哥同意明天跟我见面 | 
| [16:59] | If they can’t point us some place… | 如果他们也不能给我们有用的帮助… | 
| [17:03] | yeah, | 是啊 | 
| [17:06] | he is in trouble. | 他是麻烦大了 | 
| [17:10] | Did they rule? | 他们做出裁决了吗 | 
| [17:10] | Tomorrow. It went well, | 明天 还比较顺利 | 
| [17:11] | I seem to have their attention. | 我看他们都在认真听我的陈述 | 
| [17:12] | Great, let’s get some dinner. | 太好了 我们去吃饭吧 | 
| [17:14] | No, I’m gonna go back to the office, | 不 我还要回办公室 | 
| [17:15] | get our Westlaw. You know, | 上一下Westlaw 【权威的法律信息数据库】 | 
| [17:15] | there is a new case floating like every ten minutes. | 大概每过十分钟 就会有新案例出现 | 
| [17:17] | Lindsay, take a break. | Lindsay 休息一会吧 | 
| [17:19] | I’ll take a break when it’s over. | 等事情结束了我自然会休息 | 
| [17:20] | Is it ever gonna be over? | 这个事能结束得了吗 | 
| [17:21] | I’ll see you at home. | 我们回家再见 | 
| [17:26] | -Hey. -Hey. | -嗨 -嗨 | 
| [17:28] | She has been up to three o’clock in the morning | 自从案件开始庭审之后 | 
| [17:30] | every night since the trial. | 她每晚都要熬到三点钟 | 
| [17:31] | It’s like some quest. | 简直废寝忘食 | 
| [17:33] | Helen, she is close to him. | Helen 她和他非常亲近 | 
| [17:35] | You know she might win? | 你知道她可能会赢吗 | 
| [17:36] | Oh, come on, overturn Hiller? | 哦 算了吧 推翻Hiller法官? | 
| [17:39] | You should’ve seen her. | 你刚才真该看看她的表现 | 
| [17:42] | You went to Mr. Martini and complained? | 你去找Martini先生抱怨过? | 
| [17:45] | I did. | 是的 | 
| [17:46] | Threatened to quit even if she worked there? | 威胁说要是她在那里上班 你就辞职? | 
| [17:48] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [17:49] | Because you didn’t want to work side by side | 因为你不愿意和一个 | 
| [17:51] | with a person of Iranian descent? | 有伊朗血统的人一起工作? | 
| [17:53] | I don’t have a problem with her as a person, but… | 我对她个人没有意见 但是… | 
| [17:56] | But what? | 但是什么 | 
| [18:00] | I’m not over the hostage thing, I admit it. | 我承认 我对于人质事件还耿耿于怀 【1979年,美驻伊大使馆被占领,66人被扣为人质】 | 
| [18:02] | Mr. Harper, that was almost twenty years ago. | Harper先生 那都是二十年前的事情了 | 
| [18:05] | I really don’t care. | 我不管那么多 | 
| [18:06] | It all comes back. | 我又回想起那时的情景 | 
| [18:07] | I see burning American flags, | 我想起燃烧的美国国旗 | 
| [18:09] | I see Khomeini, | 我想起霍梅尼 【时任伊朗领导人】 | 
| [18:10] | I got all pent up with anger. | 我没法抑制自己的怒火 | 
| [18:14] | Iranian people cheer that government. | 伊朗民众为那样的政府欢呼 | 
| [18:16] | They never apologized. | 他们从来没有道过歉 | 
| [18:18] | And our government? | 而我们的政府呢 | 
| [18:19] | We just forgave them because they got oil. | 因为他们有石油 我们就原谅他们了 | 
| [18:22] | Well, I can’t forgive them. | 可是 我不能原谅他们 | 
| [18:24] | This woman was nine years old | 在人质危机发生的时候 | 
| [18:26] | during the hostage crisis. | 这位女士才九岁 | 
| [18:28] | Well, she is old enough now to make a judgment. | 她已经够大了 可以做出自己的判断了 | 
| [18:30] | When she looks me in the eye | 而当她看着我的眼睛 | 
| [18:32] | and says I’m proud to be an Iranian, | 说她身为伊朗人而感到骄傲 | 
| [18:34] | I don’t want to work side by side with her. | 我不想与这种人一同共事 | 
| [18:36] | Did she ever engage in any political | 她在工作中有没有发表过任何 | 
| [18:39] | or religious discourse at work? | 有关政治或者宗教方面的言论 | 
| [18:40] | No. And I’m sure she personally | 没有 而且我相信她本人 | 
| [18:43] | has never blown up an embassy. | 也没有炸过大使馆 | 
| [18:45] | But imagine, | 但是想一想 | 
| [18:46] | they’re carrrying signs | 他们都举着标语 | 
| [18:48] | that say “death to the US”, | 上面写着”美国人去死” | 
| [18:49] | and here she is | 现在她却在我们国家 | 
| [18:50] | in our country sueing for a job. | 想打官司来要回自己的工作 | 
| [18:52] | Ask me, the turban must be wrapped too tight. | 要我说 她们是被头巾裹坏了头脑 | 
| [18:59] | The last remark was unnecessary. | 最后那句话实在没有必要 | 
| [19:00] | You asked me to testify and tell my feelings. | 是你让我作证 并且如实说出自己的想法 | 
| [19:02] | Just the same. | 不管怎样 | 
| [19:03] | you basically stood up | 你相当于是站在庭上 | 
| [19:04] | and declared yourself a bigot. | 宣布自己是个种族歧视主义者 | 
| [19:05] | I’m prejudice on this, | 我在这件事情上是有偏见 | 
| [19:06] | but I think this is a bigotry I’m entitled to. | 但是我觉得我有权力对此怀有偏见 | 
| [19:11] | You’re not the person I thought I knew, Ron. | 你再不是我之前认识的那个人了 Ron | 
| [19:14] | Sally, I know I’m blaming you for something | Sally 我知道我把一些跟你无关的事情 | 
| [19:15] | that has nothing to do with you. | 怪罪到你头上 | 
| [19:17] | That doesn’t mean I’m a vervet. | 但是并不意味着我是个怪物 | 
| [19:18] | All right, | 好了 | 
| [19:19] | you’re represented by counsel, Ms. Bader, | Bader小姐 你委托了律师为你代理案件 | 
| [19:21] | it’s not appropriate for us to have communicatiion. | 我们这样直接交谈很不妥当 | 
| [19:23] | Yes. | 是啊 | 
| [19:24] | We wouldn’t want to be inappropriate, would we? | 我们都不想显得不妥当 对不对 | 
| [19:30] | Excuse me for a second. | 稍等一会 | 
| [19:32] | Ms. Bader, | Bader小姐 | 
| [19:34] | listen, | 听我说 | 
| [19:36] | I hope you don’t take it personal, | 我希望你不要觉得我是在针对你 | 
| [19:38] | things I say, I… | 我说的那些 我… | 
| [19:39] | I have to put on a defense. | 我不得不找些理由来抗辩 | 
| [19:41] | You’re saying I should be ashamed of my descent, | 你说我应该以我的血统为耻 | 
| [19:43] | Mr. Berluti. | Berluti先生 | 
| [19:44] | It’s difficult not to take it personally. | 我很难理解成这不是针对我个人 | 
| [19:49] | I’m the lawyer, I gotta… | 我是律师 我必须… | 
| [19:51] | You’re a little too good. | 你这个律师有点好过头了 | 
| [20:00] | Can I at least make you a cup of coffee? | 至少 让我给你泡杯咖啡吧 | 
| [20:02] | No, not really, I’m fine. | 不 不用 我挺好的 | 
| [20:03] | Really? | 真的? | 
| [20:04] | I, I feel like I should at least, you know… | 我 我觉得我应该至少… | 
| [20:08] | All lawyers work this hard? | 所有的律师工作都这么辛苦? | 
| [20:10] | Um, big case. | 嗯 大案子 | 
| [20:13] | Call me. | 给我打电话 | 
| [20:14] | I will. | 我会的 | 
| [20:20] | Bye. | 再见 | 
| [20:22] | I’ll see you. | 再见 | 
| [20:27] | Morning. | 早上好 | 
| [20:28] | You slept with him on a second date? | 你第二次约会就跟他上床了? | 
| [20:30] | I didn’t really sleep sleep with him. | 我其实没有跟他上床啦 | 
| [20:33] | He fell asleep watching TV, | 他看电视看睡着了 | 
| [20:35] | which wouldn’t have happened by the way, | 顺便说下 要不是为了躲避你的战场 | 
| [20:37] | if I didn’t have to bring him in there | 不得不把他带进去的话 | 
| [20:38] | to escape your command post. | 就不会发生这样的事 | 
| [20:41] | What is all this? | 这又是什么 | 
| [20:42] | Oral arguments are over. | 口头辩论都已经结束了 | 
| [20:44] | This is on sentencing | 这是关于量刑的 | 
| [20:45] | shall we lose the appeal. | 如果我们上诉输了的话 | 
| [20:48] | Part of me hopes you do this. | 其实我有点希望你输掉 | 
| [20:53] | I’m a little afraid if you win, Lindsay, | 我是有点担心 要是你赢了 Lindsay | 
| [20:55] | a new trial… | 一场新的庭审… | 
| [20:57] | can you survive going through all this again? | 从头再来一次 你还能撑得下来吗 | 
| [21:00] | The trial was easy. | 庭审其实比较容易 | 
| [21:02] | Losing it was hard. | 难熬的是输掉官司 | 
| [21:05] | I’m a little concerned about you. | 我有点担心你 | 
| [21:06] | I’m fine. | 我没事 | 
| [21:10] | Withdraw? | 解除代理? | 
| [21:12] | What that woman said to me, | 那个女人对我说的话 | 
| [21:15] | I’m having a hard time shaking it. | 我没办法无动于衷 | 
| [21:16] | You’re about to start closing arguments! | 你马上就要做结案陈词了 | 
| [21:18] | I know, I… | 我知道 我… | 
| [21:19] | I’m just not sure it’s in me, I… | 我不知道我是不是这样的人 我… | 
| [21:22] | I don’t want to let my cousin down, but… | 我不想让我的表哥失望 但是… | 
| [21:24] | Jimmy Jimmy, | |
| [21:25] | if you came to me with this case at the begining, | 如果你一开始就来征求我的意见 | 
| [21:27] | I would stop you from taking it. | 我会阻止你接这个案子 | 
| [21:28] | It’s offensive. | 太令人反感 | 
| [21:29] | It puts a bad light on you and the firm. | 对事务所以及对你个人影响都不好 | 
| [21:32] | But there is no way you can bail at closings. | 但是你不可能在结案陈词之前退出代理 | 
| [21:35] | I mean, it’s not even a question. | 你根本考虑的余地都没有 | 
| [21:39] | Yeah, I guess. | 对 我想也是 | 
| [21:46] | And Jimmy, | 还有 Jimmy | 
| [21:49] | don’t phone it in. | 不要敷衍了事 | 
| [21:54] | The police discouraged us from talking to you. | 警方不想让我们和你谈话 | 
| [21:57] | As I told your dad, | 就像我和你爸爸说的 | 
| [21:58] | I’m convinced they got the wrong guy. | 我确信他们抓错人了 | 
| [22:00] | And if they do, | 如果真的抓错了 | 
| [22:01] | that means that this thing | 那就意味着这件事 | 
| [22:03] | was either mission of frame George Vogelman | 要么是为了陷害George Vogelman | 
| [22:04] | or somebody was after your sister. | 要么是有人盯上了你姐姐 | 
| [22:06] | And as we told the police, | 我们和警察也说过了 | 
| [22:08] | we don’t know of any such person who would want to harm her. | 我们实在想不出有谁想要伤害她 | 
| [22:10] | Her boyfriend Jay? | 她男朋友Jay呢 | 
| [22:11] | Did you ever see any predisposition | 你们有没有发现他跟你姐姐之间 | 
| [22:13] | with him and your sister? | 有些不好的苗头 | 
| [22:15] | Jay? Jay? | |
| [22:16] | I’m grasping, Steve. | 我得考虑所有的可能性 Steve | 
| [22:17] | Jay is a sweet kid. | Jay是个好孩子 | 
| [22:19] | Did he ever show a temper? | 他有没有发过脾气 | 
| [22:21] | What if he had followed your sister, | 如果他跟踪你姐姐 | 
| [22:22] | found what George Vogelman… | 然后发现了George Vogelman… | 
| [22:24] | Jay couldn’t have done this. | Jay不会做这样的事 | 
| [22:27] | Did your sister… | 那你的姐姐… | 
| [22:30] | is it possible that | 有没有可能 | 
| [22:32] | your sister could have kept some part of her life secret? | 你姐姐在生活中有不为人知的一面 | 
| [22:35] | Mr. Young, I feel I know my daugher pretty good. | Young先生 我觉得我非常了解我的女儿 | 
| [22:39] | Truth is I can’t believe in a million years that | 事实上我死也不会相信 | 
| [22:43] | she’d go to some motel with a guy | 她会随便和某个在酒吧里 | 
| [22:44] | she met at the bar, | 认识的人去开房 | 
| [22:46] | which leads me to think that your guy had to have done it. | 所以我觉得肯定是你的当事人干的 | 
| [22:48] | But, Mr. Robin, | 但是 Robin先生 | 
| [22:50] | you couldn’t believe she would even go to a bar alone. | 你本来也不相信她会独自去酒吧 | 
| [22:53] | So it’s possilbe that… | 所以 有没有可能… | 
| [22:56] | Steve, helpe me out, | Steve 帮帮我 | 
| [22:57] | is there some other side to her? | 她有没有另外的一面 | 
| [23:00] | If there was, I never saw it. | 就算有 我也从来没见过 | 
| [23:04] | The only… | 除了… | 
| [23:06] | What? The only what? | 什么 除了什么 | 
| [23:11] | She did spent a lot of time on the internet, | 她确实有点沉迷于网络 | 
| [23:14] | talking to people she didn’t know. | 喜欢在网上和陌生人聊天 | 
| [23:16] | Would you say that in court? | 你愿意在庭上说这些吗 | 
| [23:19] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [23:23] | I guess. | 也许吧 | 
| [23:44] | After careful review, | 经过仔细的考虑 | 
| [23:45] | we agree with Ms. Dole’s positon | 我们同意Dole小姐的观点 | 
| [23:48] | that self-defense should have been available | 本案被告在庭审当中 | 
| [23:51] | to the defendant at trial. | 应当有权以正当防卫辩护 | 
| [23:53] | Whether the danger posed to | Pearson先生所面临的危险 | 
| [23:55] | Mr. Pearson was imminent enough | 是否足够迫切 | 
| [23:56] | to justify the use of excessive force, | 让他有正当理由使用武力 | 
| [23:59] | it’s a question of fact, | 这是一个事实问题 | 
| [24:01] | which should have offered to the jury. | 应当交由陪审团来裁决 | 
| [24:03] | We therefore rule | 我们因此裁定 | 
| [24:04] | that judge Hiller’s position was an error. | Hiller法官的意见是错误的 | 
| [24:08] | However, it is not evident from the record | 但是 庭审笔录并未明确反映 | 
| [24:12] | that judge Hiller actually ruled in this matter, | Hiller法官针对这一问题做出了裁定 | 
| [24:15] | thereby prohibited self-defense. | 明确禁止以正当防卫辩护 | 
| [24:18] | And if defense counsel’s assertion is true, | 而且如果辩方律师的陈述属实 | 
| [24:21] | that her warning was in fact a ruling, | 即她的警告实质上相当于裁定 | 
| [24:24] | then the proper procedure was interlocutory appeal, | 那么正确的救济途径应当是”中间上诉” 【即在诉讼过程中,判决之前,提起的上诉】 | 
| [24:28] | which was waived | 通过继续参加庭审 | 
| [24:29] | by proceeding the trial. | 被告放弃了这一权利 | 
| [24:31] | The conviction of Anderson Pearson therefore, | 因此 对Anderson Pearson的有罪判决 | 
| [24:33] | stands. | 依然有效 | 
| [24:35] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [24:55] | It’s easy to hate Iranians, isn’t it? | 恨伊朗人或者阿拉伯人 理所因当 | 
| [24:59] | And Arabs. | 不是吗 | 
| [25:00] | They blow up airplanes, buildings. | 他们炸毁飞机 大厦 | 
| [25:04] | When that bomb went off in Oklahoma city, | 当炸弹在俄克拉荷马城爆炸时 【1995年,俄克拉荷马联邦大楼被炸,100多人死亡】 | 
| [25:06] | we all had the same knee-jerk reaction: | 我们都有同样的条件反射 | 
| [25:08] | Probably some Middle East terrorist. | 也许是哪个中东恐怖分子干的 【真正的凶手是麦克维,美国人,海湾战争老兵】 | 
| [25:12] | Let’s admit it, | 我们就承认吧 | 
| [25:13] | we don’t, we don’t like these people. | 我们 我们不喜欢这些人 | 
| [25:16] | And I understand the sentiment. | 我理解这种情感 | 
| [25:18] | Many of us share | 很多人对于人质危机 | 
| [25:19] | Mr. Harper’s frustration with the hostage crisis, | 和Harper先生有一样的感觉 | 
| [25:22] | that’s an old but deep wound. | 虽然过了很久 但伤得实在太深了 | 
| [25:24] | But I take exception to his message | 可是我不能接受他这样的观点 | 
| [25:27] | that it’s good old Amercian patriotism | 歧视任何来自中东地区的人 | 
| [25:30] | to discriminate against anyone from the Middle East. | 是一种传统的美国爱国主义 | 
| [25:34] | That’s not the country I know. | 这不是我熟悉的国家 | 
| [25:37] | America stands for tolerance. | 美国主张宽容 | 
| [25:39] | The United States were built | 美国就是在抵制压迫 | 
| [25:41] | against oppression, against prejudice. | 抵制偏见的基础上建立的 | 
| [25:44] | Or do we? | 莫非不是? | 
| [25:46] | Mr. Harper’s statement | Harper先生说 | 
| [25:48] | “hey, she makes me angry coz of Khomeini”, | “嘿 因为霍梅尼 我厌恶她” | 
| [25:50] | that’s like saying | 这就像是说 | 
| [25:51] | ” hey, the Japanese stir up | “嘿 日本人挑起了 | 
| [25:53] | these Pearl Habour memories, | 我们对珍珠港事件的回忆 | 
| [25:55] | let’s get rid of them”. | 我们除掉他们吧” | 
| [25:57] | We did that here once, remeber? | 我们确实这么干过 记得吗 | 
| [25:59] | Rounded up all the Japanese, | 把日本人全集中起来 【指珍珠港事件之后日裔美国人被囚禁事件】 | 
| [26:01] | threw them in internment camps. | 把他们关进拘留集中营 【指珍珠港事件之后日裔美国人被囚禁事件】 | 
| [26:03] | Didn’t matter they were US citizens, | 无视他们也是美国公民 | 
| [26:05] | didn’t matter they were innocent. | 无视他们其实是无辜的 | 
| [26:06] | They were of Japanese descent. | 他们是日本人的后裔 | 
| [26:09] | In this country, | 在这个国家 | 
| [26:11] | we’re ashamed of that little piece of history. | 我们为这段小小的历史感到羞耻 | 
| [26:14] | Well, here we go again, | 然而 现在我们又开始了 | 
| [26:16] | because today’s cold war is against terrorism. | 因为当代的冷战是对抗恐怖主义 | 
| [26:24] | And it’s just so easy | 恨这些裹着头巾的人 | 
| [26:25] | to hate the towel heads, isn’t it? | 简直理所当然 是不是 | 
| [26:34] | She may have hooked up with some psyco from the internet, | 她可能是在网上认识了哪个疯子 | 
| [26:36] | maybe he was stalking her. | 可能是他在跟踪她 | 
| [26:37] | Even so. | 就算如此 | 
| [26:38] | What even so? | 什么就算如此 | 
| [26:38] | Can you guys start running that down? | 你们就不能追查这条线索吗 | 
| [26:40] | Ellenor, again, off the record? | Ellenor 还是私底下说? | 
| [26:42] | Sure. | 当然了 | 
| [26:43] | This case is pretty hard copy, | 这个案子已经是板上钉钉了 | 
| [26:44] | the police want to mark “solved” on the file. | 警方希望在卷宗上标上”结案”两个字 | 
| [26:47] | The DA’s office wants to mark “conviction”. | 检方也希望标上”罪名成立” | 
| [26:49] | If anything turns out indicating | 要是有新的情况出现 | 
| [26:51] | it could have been somebody else, | 表明凶手可能是其他人 | 
| [26:53] | forget about getting that conviction. | 那就别想定任何人的罪了 | 
| [26:55] | Your guy was last seen with her, | 你的当事人是最后跟她在一起的人 | 
| [26:57] | he had her had. | 他还带着她的头 | 
| [26:58] | If George Vogelman didn’t do it, | 如果不是George Vogelman干的 | 
| [27:00] | he certainly represents | 那么对于真凶来说 | 
| [27:01] | reasonable doubt for whoever did. | George必然构成了他的合理怀疑 | 
| [27:03] | What’re you saying? | 你在说什么 | 
| [27:04] | You’d rather get a conviction | 不管有没有抓到真凶 | 
| [27:05] | than catch the right guy? | 你们只要一份有罪判决就行? | 
| [27:06] | Not really, | 不是这个意思 | 
| [27:07] | but their need for a conviction | 但是他们要赶快结案的迫切需求 | 
| [27:09] | helps them to think | 会让他们更容易相信 | 
| [27:10] | they have the right guy. | 他们已经抓到了凶手 | 
| [27:11] | Oh, that’s great. | 哦 真是太好了 | 
| [27:14] | What’s the punch line, Helen? | Helen 直接跟我说结论吧 | 
| [27:15] | They’re not gonna reopen the investigation. | 他们是不会重新调查的 | 
| [27:21] | When this trial started, I got to admit, | 我必须承认 当这个案子刚刚开始的时候 | 
| [27:24] | I was one of those people | 我也属于那样一类人 | 
| [27:25] | who sometimes have those thoughts. | 经常会有那样的想法 | 
| [27:27] | See some terrorist attack on the news, | 在新闻上看到恐怖袭击 | 
| [27:29] | I’d say to hell with all of them. | 我会说 让他们都不得好死 | 
| [27:31] | A lot of people in this country | 在这个国家 很多人都认为 | 
| [27:32] | think the best thing about Iranians | 伊朗人唯一的好处就是 | 
| [27:34] | is that the kill Iraqis. | 他们可以杀伊拉克人 | 
| [27:37] | But in Ms. Bader, | 但是在Bader小姐身上 | 
| [27:38] | you saw a woman of dignity, | 你看到的是一个有尊严 | 
| [27:41] | integrity. | 有品德的女子 | 
| [27:43] | And not that this is relevant, | 说句不相关的话 | 
| [27:46] | but having somebody like her | 要是有像她一样的人 | 
| [27:48] | as the mother of my children, | 能为我生儿育女 | 
| [27:49] | I should be so lucky. | 我会觉得自己十分幸运 | 
| [27:52] | But, this isn’t about her. | 但是 本案的重点不在她 | 
| [27:55] | It’s about the actions of Peter Martini. | 在于Peter Martini的行为 | 
| [27:58] | Was his firing of her reasonable? | 他开除她是不是正当的 | 
| [28:01] | Under normal times, no. | 正常的情况下 不是 | 
| [28:03] | But with what’s going on today, yes. | 但是站在今天的角度上看 是的 | 
| [28:07] | True he could have said prejudice is prejudice | 诚然他可以说偏见就是偏见 | 
| [28:10] | and not fired her, | 坚持不开除她 | 
| [28:11] | in which case his staff might quit, | 那种情况下 他的员工会辞职 | 
| [28:13] | he’d be out of business. | 他会因此而破产 | 
| [28:15] | And as for the prejudice itself, | 而就本案中所谓的”偏见”而言 | 
| [28:18] | sorry, but it’s not the same as bigotry against blacks. | 不好意思 和针对黑人的歧视是不一样的 | 
| [28:22] | This is different. | 二者是有区别的 | 
| [28:25] | There is a war going on here. | 现在正在经历一场战争 | 
| [28:27] | Like Ms. Warden said, and the president said, | 就像Warden小姐说的 还有总统说的 | 
| [28:30] | terrorism is today’s war. | 反恐就是今天的战争 | 
| [28:34] | Somebody who didn’t look like a killer | 一个看起来普普通通的人 | 
| [28:36] | put a bomb in the world trade center. | 却在世贸中心放了一颗炸弹 【指1993年的世贸中心爆炸案】 | 
| [28:38] | We can expect | 因为我们轰炸了苏丹 | 
| [28:39] | more such attacks since we bombed Sudan. | 我们可以预计会有更多类似的袭击 | 
| [28:43] | And, and I don’t mean to suggest for one second that | 还有 虽然我从来没有认为 | 
| [28:45] | Ms. Bader is connected in any way to anything bad. | Bader小姐和这些惨剧有任何联系 | 
| [28:49] | But it is people’s right to be afraid. | 但是人们有权利感到害怕 | 
| [28:52] | Our government is telling us to be afraid. | 我们的政府告诉我们应该害怕 | 
| [28:56] | This war, | 这场战争 | 
| [28:58] | the battlefields are subways, buildings, airports. | 战场是在地铁 大厦 机场里 | 
| [29:02] | Who knows where? | 谁知道还会在哪儿 | 
| [29:03] | And as the President said, the republicans too, | 就像总统说的 还有共和党也这么说 | 
| [29:06] | in our fight against fanaticism, | 在我们对抗极端主义的过程中 | 
| [29:09] | innocent people will unfortunately be victims. | 必然会有无辜的人不幸受到伤害 | 
| [29:14] | I think the question you have to ask yourselves is this, | 我想 你们必须问自己的问题是 | 
| [29:18] | if an Iranian or Arab | 如果一个伊朗人或者阿拉伯人 | 
| [29:20] | came to you looking for work, | 来向你寻求一份工作 | 
| [29:22] | would you hire him | 当你明知道其他员工会感到不安 | 
| [29:24] | knowing it would upset personnel? | 你会不会依然雇用他 | 
| [29:26] | If you can answer that question with an easy yes, | 如果你们能够毫不犹豫地说 “会” | 
| [29:29] | find for the plaintiff, | 那就判原告胜诉 | 
| [29:32] | but if your answer is “probably not”, | 不过如果你的答案是 “也许不会” | 
| [29:35] | all I ask is that you go back there, | 我所要求的就是你们回到陪审团室 | 
| [29:39] | and be honest with yourselves. | 坦诚面对真实的自己 | 
| [30:16] | Go home. | 回家吧 | 
| [30:17] | I would, | 我倒是想 | 
| [30:18] | but it crumbs Helen’s love life. | 但是会影响Helen的爱情生活 | 
| [30:22] | Lindsay Lindsay, | |
| [30:26] | go home. | 回家吧 | 
| [30:28] | And do what? | 回家做什么呢 | 
| [30:29] | Put my feet up, watch a movie | 把脚架起来 看场电影 | 
| [30:30] | while he sits in jail just… | 与此同时他还在牢里… | 
| [30:31] | You’ve done everything you can. | 你已经竭尽全力了 | 
| [30:36] | I was in the back of that appeal’s court. | 上诉的时候我就坐在后面 | 
| [30:40] | I have never seen a better performance | 我从来没见过有哪个律师 | 
| [30:41] | by any lawyer anywhere. | 表现得像你那么好 | 
| [30:46] | But it’s over. | 但是案件已经结束了 | 
| [30:48] | You have to let it go of you now. | 你必须要学会放下 | 
| [30:54] | Doesn’t it bother you? | 你难道不觉得内心不安吗 | 
| [30:55] | He’s facing life in prison | 就因为我们弄砸了 | 
| [30:57] | because of our screw up… | 他要面临终生监禁… | 
| [30:59] | He is facing prison | 他面临牢狱之灾 | 
| [31:00] | because he shot and killed the man. | 是因为他开枪杀了人 | 
| [31:02] | No, Bobby, it’s because we blew it, | 不对 Bobby 是因为我们搞砸了 | 
| [31:03] | especially you. | 特别是你 | 
| [31:04] | You screwed up the most. | 都是你搞砸的 | 
| [31:05] | Me? | 我? | 
| [31:06] | Yes, you. | 没错 就是你 | 
| [31:07] | That ridiculous involuntary argument? | 那个荒唐的”无意识”的辩护理由 | 
| [31:09] | It was stupid. | 实在太蠢了 | 
| [31:10] | And you know why we went with it? | 而你知道为什么我们用它吗 | 
| [31:11] | Because it was a brainstorm. | 就因为它很新奇 | 
| [31:12] | You got all high over the idea | 你为这个想法兴奋不已 | 
| [31:14] | like you always do over stuns. | 你一直都是这样 | 
| [31:15] | If it’s novel, you want to try it. | 如果想法新奇 你就想尝试 | 
| [31:17] | Because we did it, | 因为我们尝试了 | 
| [31:18] | a good man has lost his life. | 一个好人的一生被毁了 | 
| [31:21] | -Is that what you think? -Yes. | -你是这么想的吗? -是的 | 
| [31:24] | And we screwed up by not appealing | 而且我们没有对Hiller法官的裁定上诉 | 
| [31:26] | judge Hiller’s ruling. | 这又是一个错误 | 
| [31:27] | That’s what cost us at the appeal. | 导致我们这次上诉输掉了 | 
| [31:28] | It was malpractice. | 这是执业过错 | 
| [31:30] | You know, the only upside is it gives us new grounds, | 唯一的好处就是 它给了我们新的理由 | 
| [31:32] | what you see on this table is, | 你看现在摆在桌子上的 | 
| [31:34] | is research on inadequate counsil! | 就是关于不当辩护的研究资料 | 
| [31:43] | Of all the drug dealers I’ve put back out there, | 我帮那么多毒品贩子洗脱了罪名 | 
| [31:47] | and him… | 可是他… | 
| [32:16] | You gotta wait here all day? | 你准备在这里等上一整天吗 | 
| [32:18] | They said they are close to a verdict. | 他们说陪审团快要做出裁决了 | 
| [32:21] | It’s not like I have a job to go to. | 再说我也没有工作可做了 | 
| [32:26] | Listen, | 告诉你 | 
| [32:30] | what I said | 我所说的 | 
| [32:31] | about your integrity and stuff, | 关于你的正直和其他那些东西 | 
| [32:34] | I meant that. | 都是真心的 | 
| [32:35] | I know you did. | 我知道 | 
| [32:39] | And that stuff about being reasonable to fear us? | 而那些关于你们有权利害怕我们的说法 | 
| [32:42] | You meant that too, didn’t you? | 你也是真心的 是不是 | 
| [32:51] | The most discouraging part is that | 最让人难过的地方就是 | 
| [32:55] | I can tell you’re a really nice man. | 我知道你真的是个很好的人 | 
| [33:03] | Part of me hopes I lose. | 某种程度上 我希望自己输掉 | 
| [33:08] | Me too. | 我也是 | 
| [33:21] | You want me to what? | 你希望我做什么 | 
| [33:22] | Just what I said. | 就像我刚才说的 | 
| [33:23] | This is the judicial part of the process, counsel. | 现在是案件的审判阶段 律师 | 
| [33:25] | I don’t give order to the police | 我不能给警方下命令 | 
| [33:27] | on how to investigate their case. | 告诉他们怎么去调查他们的案件 | 
| [33:28] | I’m asking you order them to investigate, | 我是让你命令他们去调查 | 
| [33:30] | -period. -We have. | -没说怎么调查 -我们调查了 | 
| [33:31] | You haven’t. | 你们没有 | 
| [33:32] | Head in a handbag, that’s enough? | 包里有个人头 就足够了? | 
| [33:34] | You’re afraid of invesigating for fear | 你不想调查 是因为你们害怕 | 
| [33:36] | it’ll come between open and shut. | 结果会变得模棱两可 | 
| [33:37] | I’m offended by that, Ellenor. | 你这是在侮辱我 Ellenor | 
| [33:39] | What have you really done? | 你们到底都做了什么 | 
| [33:40] | Everything. | 所有的都做了 | 
| [33:41] | Forensics, DNA. | 法医学鉴证 DNA | 
| [33:42] | What about the Poet? | 那”诗人杀手”呢 | 
| [33:43] | Did you go down that path? | 你们有没有调查这个线索 | 
| [33:44] | The who? | 谁 | 
| [33:45] | There is a serial killer | 有个连环杀手 | 
| [33:47] | known as the Poet, your honor. | 被称作”诗人杀手” 法官阁下 | 
| [33:48] | One of our former client | 我们之前有个当事人 | 
| [33:49] | was convicted of trying to copy him. | 就是因为模仿他作案被判有罪 | 
| [33:51] | He rapes and decapitate… | 他强奸并且分尸… | 
| [33:52] | Different MOs and… | 作案方式不一样 而且… | 
| [33:54] | Well, maybe he mixed things up for spice this time. | 也许这一次 他对作案方式做了些调整呢 | 
| [33:56] | We considered the Poet. | 我们考虑了”诗人杀手” | 
| [33:58] | Our investigation | 但是我们的调查结果 | 
| [33:58] | points to George Vogelman | 指向George Vogelman | 
| [34:00] | and George Vogelman alone. | 而且只有George Vogelman | 
| [34:01] | We also have evidence that | 我们还有证据表明 | 
| [34:03] | the victim had contacts with people on the internet. | 受害人通过网络与人接触 | 
| [34:05] | Look, counsel, | 听着 律师 | 
| [34:06] | your are free to conduct your own investigation. | 你可以自由展开你自己的调查 | 
| [34:10] | You want time? I’ll give it to you. | 你需要时间 我可以给你时间 | 
| [34:12] | We don’t have any money. | 我们没有资金 | 
| [34:13] | They have unlimited budget, | 他们有无节制的预算 | 
| [34:15] | my client is broke. | 我的当事人已经破产了 | 
| [34:16] | Well, I can’t do anything about that. | 对此我无能为力 | 
| [34:18] | And I can’t order them to keep looking | 如果他们坚信已经找到了凶手的话 | 
| [34:19] | if they’re convinced they have the killer. | 我也不能命令他们继续调查 | 
| [34:21] | If they’re thinking he is a suspect, | 如果他们觉得他是犯罪嫌疑人 | 
| [34:24] | we have a device to deal with that. | 我们有专门的制度来处理 | 
| [34:26] | We call it the trial. | 我们把它叫做”审判” | 
| [34:28] | Every criminal defendant has to | 每个刑事案件的被告都得 | 
| [34:30] | rely on the integrity of the process. | 依赖案件审判过程的公正性 | 
| [34:32] | Not just me, not just you, | 你要公正 我要公正 | 
| [34:34] | but the police and the DA too. | 还有警察和检察官也一样 | 
| [34:36] | And we have nothing but your protest | 但除了你的口头反对之外 | 
| [34:38] | to suggest they haven’t done their jobs. | 没有证据显示警方没有尽到义务 | 
| [34:41] | A shady investigation | 不严密的调查 | 
| [34:42] | is a defense cousel’s dream. | 是每个辩护律师梦寐以求的 | 
| [34:44] | If you think you’ve got one, | 如果你觉得警方的调查有问题 | 
| [34:46] | take advantage. | 那就好好利用 | 
| [34:48] | It’s not that simple. | 没你说的那么简单 | 
| [34:49] | Unfortunately, it is. | 不幸的是 就是这么简单 | 
| [34:53] | That’s all. | 就这样了 | 
| [34:54] | Your honor… | 法官阁下… | 
| [34:55] | That’s all. | 别再说了 | 
| [35:03] | Basically, I want to make a list of | 基本上 我想要拟一张清单 | 
| [35:05] | every noble accomplishment, | 列出你所有显著的成就 | 
| [35:07] | every active charity, | 参加的所有慈善活动 | 
| [35:08] | anybody you can think who can stand up for you | 任何你能想到的能为你的量刑 | 
| [35:10] | at sentencing and be effective. | 站出来说话并且说得上话的人 | 
| [35:12] | Ok. | 好的 | 
| [35:14] | I’m still woking on the other appeal. | 我还在继续做另外的上诉 | 
| [35:15] | So, uh, in the meantime, you know, | 所以 呃 同时 你要知道 | 
| [35:20] | there is a big difference between | 十八年和终生监禁 | 
| [35:22] | 18 years and life, so… | 还是有很大区别的 所以… | 
| [35:24] | What’s your feeling? | 你有什么想法 | 
| [35:28] | Hiller is tough, | Hiller很严厉 | 
| [35:31] | she is more likely to go maximum than minimum. | 她更偏向于最高刑期 而不是最低的 | 
| [35:38] | Any awards you’ve received, | 任何你获得的奖励 | 
| [35:40] | you know, things like that, | 诸如此类的事情 | 
| [35:41] | I wanna know. | 我都要知道 | 
| [35:43] | Ok. | 好 | 
| [35:49] | I’m sorry. | 我很抱歉 | 
| [35:52] | We let you down. | 我们让你失望了 | 
| [35:54] | No, you didn’t, Linday. | 不 你没有 Lindsay | 
| [36:01] | I let you down. | 是我让你失望了 | 
| [36:07] | I’ll be back on Friday for the list. | 我星期五会回来拿单子 | 
| [36:27] | You ok? | 你还好吗 | 
| [36:32] | Yeah. | 还好 | 
| [36:40] | Foreperson, you’ve reached a verdict? | 首席陪审员 你们做出裁决了吗 | 
| [36:43] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [36:44] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 | 
| [36:48] | Bader vs. Martini, | Bader诉Martini一案 | 
| [36:50] | on the count of wrongful termination, | 关于非法解除劳动合同的诉请 | 
| [36:52] | we find in favor of the defendant Peter Martini. | 我们判决被告Peter Martini胜诉 | 
| [36:56] | Yes. | 太好了 | 
| [36:59] | Thank you, Jimmy. | 谢谢你 Jimmy | 
| [37:00] | Sure. | 不客气 | 
| [37:01] | Quiet down, please. | 安静 请安静 | 
| [37:06] | As a matter of law, I set aside the jury’s verdict. | 根据法律 我宣布陪审团的判决无效 | 
| [37:09] | I order the defendant to pay damages | 我判决被告赔偿原告损失 | 
| [37:11] | in the amount of 220,000 dollars. | 二十二万美元 | 
| [37:14] | I’d hoped you to reach the right result, | 我本来希望你们能做出正确的判决 | 
| [37:16] | it would have saved us an appeal. | 这样就省了上诉的麻烦 | 
| [37:18] | Since you didn’t, | 但是你们没有 | 
| [37:19] | judgment is hereby entered for the plaintif | 陪审团的判决无效 | 
| [37:22] | notwithstanding the verdict. | 本庭判决原告胜诉 | 
| [37:24] | Let me note my disgust for the defendant on the record, | 并请法庭记录下我对被告 | 
| [37:28] | for the defendant’s attorney, | 对被告律师 | 
| [37:30] | and finally for the jury. | 以及对陪审团的厌恶 | 
| [37:33] | Ms. Bader, please accept the apology of this court. | Bader小姐 请接受法庭对你的歉意 | 
| [37:37] | Adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [37:57] | Ms. Bader, Ms. Bader, | Bader小姐 Bader小姐 | 
| [38:03] | that part about me being a nice man, | 你说的关于我是个好人的话 | 
| [38:06] | I…uh…well, I am a nice man, | 我…呃…那个 我确实是个好人 | 
| [38:10] | and, I, I know this might seem… | 并且 我 我知道这可能看起来有点… | 
| [38:16] | well, once you get on that elevator, | 你一旦走进这个电梯 | 
| [38:19] | then I might never… | 我可能再也… | 
| [38:24] | would…do you think you would like to | 你愿意…你愿不愿意 | 
| [38:28] | have a cup of coffee with me some time? | 哪天和我一起喝杯咖啡? | 
| [38:32] | You are asking me out? | 你是在约我出去吗 | 
| [38:34] | No, | 不 | 
| [38:37] | uh, well, a little. | 呃 好吧 算是吧 | 
| [38:44] | Under the circumstances, that’s… | 在这种情况下 我觉得… | 
| [38:48] | that’s not something I can see myself doing. | 我觉得好像不太合适 | 
| [38:53] | Ok. | 好吧 | 
| [38:55] | But, I’m flattered. | 不过 我真的很高兴 | 
| [39:22] | We’re better off than we were yesterday. | 我们的形势正一步步好起来 | 
| [39:24] | The videotapes are out and | 录像带已经被排除了 | 
| [39:25] | this internet thing | 还有她沉迷网络的事 | 
| [39:26] | gives us at least a crack. | 至少给了我们一点还击的余地 | 
| [39:29] | Mainly though, | 不过主要的 | 
| [39:29] | it’s gonna fall on you, George. | 还是要靠你自己 George | 
| [39:31] | You gotta take the stand and convince the jury | 你必须要出庭作证 说服陪审团 | 
| [39:33] | that you never could done this. | 说你不可能做出这些事情 | 
| [39:37] | Ok. | 好的 | 
| [39:40] | Ok. I’ll be in touch. | 好的 我会再联系你 | 
| [39:45] | Hey, you hang in there. | 嘿 你要坚持住 | 
| [39:49] | Ellenor Ellenor, | |
| [39:53] | give me the odds. | 告诉我胜率有多大 | 
| [39:56] | We’re gonna do everything we can, George. | 我们会尽全力的 George | 
| [40:03] | I’d be lying to you if I told you | 但是如果我说我觉得我们能赢 | 
| [40:05] | I think we’re gonna win. | 那是在骗你 | 
| [40:24] | Hey. | 嘿 | 
| [40:26] | Hey. | 嘿 | 
| [40:32] | Bobby Bobby, | |
| [40:33] | I’m sorry, I didn’t mean it. | 对不起 我不是有意的 | 
| [40:36] | Forget about it. | 没关系的 | 
| [40:40] | I’ve just been… | 我只是… | 
| [40:44] | I hate myself for crying. | 我恨我自己哭了 | 
| [40:47] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [40:50] | Look, this whole office is here for you. | 整个事务所都会支持你 | 
| [40:55] | Whatever you need. | 不管你需要什么 | 
| [40:59] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [41:06] | I’m here for you. | 我也会支持你 | 
| [41:08] | You know that, right? | 你知道的 是不是 | 
| [41:16] | What? | 什么 | 
| [41:17] | Nothing. | 没什么 | 
| [41:19] | I was just thinking, | 我只是在想 | 
| [41:23] | sometimes I just… | 有时候我只是… |