时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | I’m not crazy about helping the guy who killed my sister. | 我不想帮那个杀害了我姐姐的家伙 |
[00:05] | All we’re asking is that you talk about the internet thing. | 我们只是想请你说出关于上网的事情 |
[00:09] | Boyfriend lives alone | 她的男朋友一个人住 |
[00:10] | brother, big house | 弟弟 住在大房子里 |
[00:11] | why not plan B them? | 为什么不对他们用B计划 |
[00:12] | It might be worth a try. | 也许值得一试 |
[00:13] | Give them a soft plan B. | 给他们来个温和的B计划 |
[00:15] | Plan B, soft, for both. | B计划 温和点 针对他们俩 |
[00:17] | Did you murder you sister | 你是否杀了你的姐姐 |
[00:17] | and frame George Vogelman? | 并陷害George Vogelman |
[00:19] | – What? – Objection. | -什么 -反对 |
[00:19] | Did you follow her to the bar then go to the motel? | 你是否跟踪她到了酒吧 然后又去了旅馆 |
[00:21] | That’s sick. | 太恶心了 |
[00:22] | You asked us to trust you. | 你让我们相信你 |
[00:29] | You just stole my son’s innocence. | 你毁了我儿子的清白 |
[00:31] | I represent Steve Robin and his dad. | 我现在代理Steve Robin和他的父亲 |
[00:34] | – We’re suing you. – What? | -我们正式起诉你们 -什么 |
[00:36] | Steve Robin? Steve Robin? | |
[00:37] | Yeah, brother of the victim in your Vogelman trial, | 对 他是你们Vogelman案子里受害人的弟弟 |
[00:40] | Eugene accused him of being the killer. | Eugene指控他是杀人凶手 |
[00:42] | I can paint a pretty disgusting picture of you guys | 我可以在陪审团面前 |
[00:44] | in front of a jury. | 把你们描绘得十足令人厌恶 |
[00:45] | Team plan B? | 团队B计划是吧 |
[00:47] | You take us to court, | 你把我们告到法院 |
[00:48] | I promise you we’ll be screaming | 我保证 我们会再次反复强调 |
[00:49] | he is the killer all over again. | 他就是杀人凶手 |
[00:51] | And in the court of public opinion, | 而在公众的眼中看来 |
[00:53] | he will be the killer. | 他的确就成了杀人凶手 |
[00:54] | And get your ass out of this office and go tell your clients | 现在请你滚出办公室 回去告诉你的当事人 |
[00:57] | that truth is a complete defense to deformation. | 真相是对诽谤最好的抗辩理由 |
[00:59] | These are your scare tactics? | 这就是你们的恐吓战术吗 |
[01:06] | Eugene Eugene, | |
[01:06] | Tommy Silva agreed to depose you here. | Tommy Silva同意在我们事务所进行证言笔录 |
[01:12] | I ordered a cake | 为了庆祝Rebecca的宣誓庆典 |
[01:13] | for Rebecca’s swear in party. | 我给她订了个蛋糕 |
[01:14] | Oh, I’m sure she’ll be very surprised. | 我相信她一定会非常惊喜的 |
[01:16] | Oh, very | 那是一定的 |
[01:17] | she asked for chocolate. | 她还说要巧克力味的 |
[01:18] | I can’t be worrying about cakes now, | 我现在可没空管蛋糕的事 |
[01:20] | have you finished with the pleadings folder? | 那些起诉的文件你都处理好了吗 |
[01:21] | In your bag. | 都放你包里了 |
[01:22] | Are you sure you don’t want somebody to second-chair? | 你确定不需要谁来给你做协办吗 |
[01:24] | Oh, no, it’s just a burglary | 不用了 不就是个入室盗窃案嘛 |
[01:25] | I can handle it. | 我可以搞定 |
[01:25] | Who is covering the depo? | 谁在负责证言笔录的事 |
[01:27] | Me. | 我 |
[01:28] | But we really should be getting outside counsel. | 但我们真的应该找一个外部的律师 |
[01:30] | We will if we goes to trial, but | 如果要上庭 我们会找的 但是 |
[01:31] | for discovery… | 在证据开示阶段… |
[01:32] | All for a client, that’s what they say. | 委托人至上 他们都这么说 |
[01:34] | Thank you, Lucy. | 谢谢你啊 Lucy |
[01:35] | This will be a short deposition, trust me. | 这次的证言笔录要不了多久 相信我 |
[01:37] | It’s not like I’m gonna answer anything. | 我又不会回答他任何问题 |
[01:39] | Well, what if Silva goes for obstruction of justice? | 要是Silva以妨碍司法公正请求法官干预呢 |
[01:41] | It’s really in these days. | 这一招现在很普遍 |
[01:54] | We can go right into my office. | 我们可以直接去我的办公室 |
[01:56] | Hi, Lucy Hatcher. | 你好 我是Lucy Hatcher |
[01:59] | Evelyn Myfield. | 我叫Evelyn Myfield |
[02:00] | I take it you’ve met Jimmy, | 我想你已经见过Jimmy了 |
[02:02] | I could introduce you to the others later. | 我等会可以向你们介绍其他律师 |
[02:12] | She is the babyshaker, right? | 她就是那个摇死了婴儿的保姆 对吧 |
[02:13] | Client, Lucy. Client. | 当事人 Lucy 当事人 |
[02:15] | Right, the babyshaker client. | 没错 是摇死了婴儿的当事人 |
[02:20] | Got a handshake, | 刚刚和她握了手 |
[02:21] | strong wrists. | 手腕非常有力 |
[03:11] | The results to the psychiatric exam | 关于精神病方面的检查结果 |
[03:13] | are supposed to be in this afternoon. | 预计今天下午就会出来 |
[03:14] | And assuming she checks out, | 如果检查结果证明她没有问题 |
[03:17] | they’ll let her go? | 他们会放了她吗 |
[03:18] | Oh, no. | 不会 |
[03:19] | I passed the polygraph. What… | 我通过了测谎仪测试的 为什么… |
[03:21] | Lie detectors aren’t full proofs as far as they’re concerned. | 在他们看来 测谎结果并不构成充分的证据 |
[03:23] | We discussed this. | 我跟你们说过的 |
[03:25] | plus, that baby, | 再说 那个婴儿 |
[03:27] | they’re not about to just let you go. | 他们不会就这样把你放了的 |
[03:29] | How about they arrest the one who did it? | 那他们干嘛不去抓真凶呢 |
[03:32] | I mean, will they even consider that? | 我是说 他们到底有没有考虑过 |
[03:33] | I’ll, I’ll know more by the end of the day. | 到今天晚上 我会了解到更多的案情 |
[03:35] | For now… | 至于现在… |
[03:36] | Remain calm, yes, I know. | 保持冷静 是的 我知道 |
[03:39] | They accuse me of killing an eleven-month-old child | 他们指控我杀了一个11个月大的婴儿 |
[03:42] | but I should take in stride | 但我应该保持泰然自若 |
[03:43] | I should, I should just stay calm. | 我应该 我应该保持冷静 |
[03:46] | Their case is weak. | 他们的证据很弱 |
[03:48] | The fact that they gave you bail, | 他们允许你保释 |
[03:50] | They know their case is weak. | 正是因为他们知道证据很弱 |
[03:51] | Let’s just ride this out, | 我们得撑过去 |
[03:54] | and yes, stay calm. | 没错 你是要保持冷静 |
[04:06] | I was walking toward a side entrance, | 我那时正要去侧门 |
[04:08] | when I saw a man exiting the warehouse | 就看到有个人正从仓库出来 |
[04:10] | with an armful of laser displayers. | 手里抱着一堆影碟机 |
[04:12] | About how far apart where you are at the time? | 当时 你离这个人大约有多远 |
[04:14] | About 7 or 8 yards. | 大概七八码的样子 |
[04:15] | And what happened next? | 接着发生了什么事 |
[04:17] | I called out for him to stop. | 我叫他站住 |
[04:18] | He dropped what he was carrying | 他就立马丢下他抱着的东西 |
[04:20] | and ran toward the alley. | 飞快地朝走廊那边跑 |
[04:21] | We were instructed not to put our lives | 公司要求我们不要为 |
[04:23] | in line to protect property, | 保护财产冒生命危险 |
[04:24] | so he got away. | 所以他逃脱了 |
[04:25] | How was the lighting in this area? | 案发现场的光线条件如何 |
[04:27] | There is a light above the door, | 在门的上方 刚好有盏灯 |
[04:28] | I got a very good look at him. | 所以我看得很清楚 |
[04:30] | Do you see this man today? | 今天 你看到这个人了吗 |
[04:31] | He is the defendant. | 这个人正是被告 |
[04:33] | How many laser displayers was the burglar carrying? | 小偷当时抱着几台影碟机 |
[04:36] | Four. | 四台 |
[04:37] | Still in boxes? | 都还装在盒子里吗 |
[04:38] | Yes, ma’am. | 是的 女士 |
[04:39] | So his face was covered | 所以你看到他的时候 |
[04:40] | when you saw him? | 他的脸是被挡住的吗 |
[04:42] | Four boxes. | 四个盒子 |
[04:43] | Each about ten inches high, | 每个大约有十英寸高 |
[04:45] | must have at least partially | 必然或多或少挡住了他的脸 |
[04:47] | covered his face. | 至少挡住了一部分 |
[04:48] | But then he dropped them when he ran. | 但后来他逃跑时 他丢下了这些东西 |
[04:50] | He ran toward you? | 他是朝着你所在的方向跑的吗 |
[04:52] | No, away. | 不是 相反的方向 |
[04:53] | But there was a moment before he ran, | 但是在他逃跑前的一瞬间 |
[04:54] | I caught a look. | 我看到了他的长相 |
[04:55] | A moment? | 一瞬间? |
[04:57] | Seconds. | 几秒钟吧 |
[04:58] | Seconds? | 几秒钟? |
[04:59] | More than ten seconds? | 有十秒以上吗 |
[05:01] | No. | 没有 |
[05:02] | More than five? | 有五秒以上吗 |
[05:03] | It was like two or three seconds. | 大概两三秒吧 |
[05:05] | Two or three seconds. | 两三秒 |
[05:06] | But I got a very good look. | 但我真的看得很清楚 |
[05:07] | There is no question before you, ma’am. | 我现在没有问你问题 女士 |
[05:08] | Move to strike. | 请求不予记录 |
[05:11] | Did you have any conversations with Steve Robin | 在Vogelman的谋杀案中 |
[05:14] | prior to his testimony | 在Steve Robin出庭作证之前 |
[05:16] | in the Vogelman murder trial? | 你跟他有过交流吗 |
[05:17] | Yes. | 有 |
[05:19] | Did you discuss what questions you’d probably asking? | 你们讨论过你可能会提出些什么样的问题吗 |
[05:22] | Yes. | 讨论过 |
[05:23] | Did you tell him that you planed to accuse him in court | 你跟他说过 你准备当庭指控他 |
[05:26] | as the one who killed his sister? | 是杀害自己姐姐的凶手吗 |
[05:27] | Work product. Don’t answer. | 工作机密 别回答他 |
[05:30] | At the time you were having this discussions with Steve Robin, | 你在和Steve Robin交谈的时候 |
[05:33] | did you plan to accuse him of killing his sister? | 是否已经打算指控他杀害了自己的姐姐 |
[05:36] | Work product. | 工作机密 |
[05:37] | All objections have been waived. | 你们已经放弃了所有的反对权利 |
[05:38] | Not on privilege. | 不包括律师-当事人特权 |
[05:39] | We got it on record, | 我们已经达成了书面一致 |
[05:40] | all objections except to the form of the question. | 除了”提问形式”之外的所有反对权利都放弃 |
[05:42] | Of course we’re not gonna reveal internal… | 我们当然不会透露内部… |
[05:43] | – We can get a court order. – Fine. | -我们可以拿到法院的强制令 -那敢情好 |
[05:45] | Do it. | 我们等着 |
[05:46] | But for now, I just move on. | 但是现在 还有什么就快问 |
[05:51] | Are you familiar with the term “plan B”? | 你对于”B计划”这个术语熟悉吗 |
[05:56] | Work product. | 工作机密 |
[05:57] | I’m just asking if he is familiar with the term. | 我只是在问他对这个术语熟不熟而已 |
[05:58] | And I answered. | 我也已经回答了 |
[05:59] | Work product. | 工作机密 |
[06:01] | Move on. | 下一个问题 |
[06:04] | When you accused Steve Robin in open court | 你在开庭时指控Steve Robin |
[06:06] | of possibly being the one who killed his sister, | 有可能是杀害他姐姐的凶手 |
[06:09] | what facts did you rely on? | 是基于怎样的事实呢 |
[06:10] | Work product. | 工作机密 |
[06:14] | Is this the way we’re gonna play it? | 我们一定要这样玩吗 |
[06:18] | I’m sorry. Off the record. | 不好意思 请暂停记录 |
[06:21] | You’re sueing us. | 是你要告我们 |
[06:23] | You expect us to play nice? | 你难道指望我们客客气气的吗 |
[06:28] | Did she do it? | 是她干的吗 |
[06:29] | Lucy Lucy. | |
[06:30] | Coz I saw it on Court TV. | 我在”法庭频道”上看到了 |
[06:32] | And they did this reenactment. | 他们还模拟了当时的场景 |
[06:34] | She just shook and shook and shook… | 她不停地摇啊摇啊摇啊… |
[06:37] | Lucy Lucy! | |
[06:37] | Come on, Bobby, | 说真的 Bobby |
[06:39] | throw me a crumb, | 给我透露一点吧 |
[06:41] | did she do it? | 是她干的吗 |
[06:42] | She didn’t. | 不是 |
[06:44] | Coz I saw it on Court TV. | 可是我在”法庭频道”都看到了 |
[06:47] | She just shook and shook… | 她就这样摇啊摇啊… |
[06:50] | Lucy Lucy. | |
[06:52] | You should know what people are saying. | 你应该了解下人们是怎么说的 |
[06:58] | We did ok, but it’s close. | 还比较顺利 但是结果很难预料 |
[07:01] | I think you gotta testify. | 我觉得你得出庭作证 |
[07:03] | But you said if I take the stand, | 但你说如果我出庭作证 |
[07:04] | the DA can bring up my record. | 检方会翻出我以往的记录 |
[07:06] | Yeah, he can. | 是这样 没错 |
[07:08] | Um, if they find out I got two priors, | 如果他们知道了我有两次前科 |
[07:12] | won’t they think I did this one? | 他们难道不会觉得这次也是我干的吗 |
[07:13] | They might. But I don’t see much choice. | 有可能 但是我们没有其他办法 |
[07:17] | Ok, how was it we can’t find one witness | 为什么我们找不到一个目击证人 |
[07:19] | who saw you at the bar that night? | 能证明你当天晚上在那家酒吧 |
[07:21] | It was crowded and I’ve only been there one time, | 那里人群嘈杂拥挤 我也只去过一次 |
[07:23] | who is gonna remember? | 谁会记得我 |
[07:24] | Without a witness, it’s like you don’t an alibi. | 没有目击证人 你就没有不在场证明 |
[07:29] | What? | 怎么了 |
[07:31] | Russell? Now is not the time to be hiding things. | Russell 现在可不是遮遮掩掩的时候 |
[07:35] | A buddy of mine was with me at the bar that night. | 我有一哥们儿 那晚和我一起在那家酒吧 |
[07:39] | but… | 但是… |
[07:40] | But what? | 但是什么 |
[07:41] | He’s got a record, he don’t want to get involved. | 他也有前科 所以不想被牵扯进来 |
[07:43] | Russell, you’re looking at a conviction here, | Russell 你现在有被定罪的危险 |
[07:45] | third time, it’ll mean jail. | 这是第三次 意味着你必须进监狱 |
[07:47] | If he really is your buddy, | 如果他真是你的好哥们儿 |
[07:48] | he’s gotta come forward. | 他就应该出来帮你作证 |
[07:55] | How did he find out we called it plan B? | 他怎么知道我们把这个叫做B计划的 |
[07:57] | It’s not exactly a trade secret, | 这又不是什么正宗的商业机密 |
[07:59] | we’re kind of famous for it. | 这简直可以说是我们的招牌 |
[08:00] | He’s going for a court order? | 他要去申请法院强制令? |
[08:02] | Lindsay basically answered “work product” to every question. | Lindsay对所有的问题几乎都回答”工作机密” |
[08:04] | It was work product. | 这本来就是工作机密 |
[08:06] | We’ll be armed with the research | 我们得好好准备一下 |
[08:07] | because Papp hates discovery motions. | 因为Papp不喜欢证据开示阶段的动议 |
[08:09] | We’ll be ready. | 我们会做充分准备的 |
[08:10] | Look, look, look, | 快看 快看 |
[08:12] | Thrill could begin this month, | 这起耸人听闻的案件将在本月开庭审理 |
[08:14] | sources say that they’re far apart from any deal. | 消息人士透露 他们不可能达成辩诉交易 |
[08:17] | You remember Ms. Myfield is charged | 你们一定还记得Myfield太太被指控 |
[08:20] | with shaking to death an eleven-month-old child | 摇死了一个托给她照顾的 |
[08:22] | that was entrusted to her care. | 十一个月大的婴儿 |
[08:24] | Turning to the … | 再来看看… |
[08:25] | What’s the deal on her? | 检方有没有开出什么条件 |
[08:27] | I think she is innocent. | 我觉得她是无辜的 |
[08:28] | Oh, come on. | 得了吧 |
[08:29] | All this church stuff she is into? | 你看看她参加的那些教会活动 |
[08:31] | Nobody could be that Christian | 如果不是多少有点变态 |
[08:33] | without being a little vicious. | 怎么能做到那么虔诚 |
[08:34] | Do you even say anything thoughtful? | 你是不是从来没说过好听的话 |
[08:36] | Look, all I’m saying | 我只是说 |
[08:37] | is she had a very strong wrist for a babysitter. | 作为一个保姆 她的手腕也太有力了 |
[08:40] | Whether that passes for thoughtful, | 你觉得这话好不好听 |
[08:42] | you be the judge. | 你自己判断 |
[08:46] | So, you guys were together the whole night? | 所以 你们俩整晚都在一起吗 |
[08:48] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[08:49] | At a bar called Little Freddy’s | 在一家叫做”小弗雷迪”的酒吧 |
[08:50] | from 11 till closing? | 从11点一直到打烊? |
[08:52] | Yeah, that’s right. | 对 是这样的 |
[08:52] | I’m a little curious why you didn’t come forward before. | 我有点不明白 你之前怎么不出来作证呢 |
[08:55] | I mean, this is your best friend we’re talking about. | 要知道 他可是你最好的哥们儿 |
[08:57] | Now, I understand you have a record, but… | 我理解你有前科 但是… |
[08:58] | Ms. Washington, I… | Washington女士 我… |
[08:59] | I got a decent job. | 如今我有份体面的工作 |
[09:02] | If, if they got out… | 要是…要是他们知道… |
[09:07] | It was a sexual assault conviction, | 是一桩性侵犯的案子 |
[09:09] | in 92, | 1992年 |
[09:11] | back in New York in another name. | 在纽约 我那时用的是另一个名字 |
[09:14] | What did you do? | 你做了什么 |
[09:15] | they said I raped the girl. | 我强奸了一个女孩儿 |
[09:17] | Anyway, let’s just say | 不管怎么样 我只想说 |
[09:18] | I don’t need that come into light, you know. | 我不想让这件事曝光 你明白吗 |
[09:21] | Ok, I understand. | 好 我理解你 |
[09:23] | But Russell needs you. | 但是Russell需要你的帮助 |
[09:27] | This is your friend, he will go to prison. | 他是你的好朋友 他就要进监狱了 |
[09:31] | Will they find out about my conviction? | 他们会查到我以前的罪名吗 |
[09:33] | It’s a small case. | 我们这个案子很小 |
[09:35] | The odds are, | 所以我觉得 |
[09:36] | they aren’t gonna do a big background check | 他们也许不会为了一个入室盗窃案 |
[09:38] | on some buglary trial. | 而大动干戈彻查背景 |
[09:40] | But there is a chance, yes. | 但不可否认 可能性的确存在 |
[09:45] | I’m leaving in about 20 minutes. | 我差不多过个20分钟就要走了 |
[09:46] | You need anything else? | 你还需要什么吗 |
[09:52] | No. | 不用了 |
[09:53] | Ok. | 好的 |
[09:54] | Good night. | 那晚安 |
[10:02] | Rebecca? Rebecca? | |
[10:05] | Oh, I’m… | 哦 我… |
[10:05] | yeah, night. | 没事了 晚安 |
[10:14] | Ok. | 好了 |
[10:23] | Eugene Eugene. | |
[10:24] | Bobby Bobby. | |
[10:25] | I think I may have a problem. | 我觉得我可能遇到麻烦了 |
[10:27] | What? | 怎么了 |
[10:27] | Um, my, my, my client | 我的…我的当事人 |
[10:29] | I mean, my, my, my, my trial, | 我是说我那个…那个…那个案子 |
[10:31] | you know, the buglary, Russell Thurm, | 你知道 入室盗窃案 Russell Thurm |
[10:33] | Yeah. | 他怎么了 |
[10:34] | I think he is a serial killer. | 我觉得他是个连环杀手 |
[10:36] | – Really? – Excuse me? | -真的吗 -你说什么 |
[10:37] | I can’t, can’t, can’t be sure, | 我还…还不敢肯定 |
[10:38] | but, but I, I, I mean, I think… | 但是…我…我…我觉得… |
[10:40] | What’s going on? | 怎么了 |
[10:41] | Rebecca’s client is a murderer. | Rebecca的当事人是个杀人犯 |
[10:42] | Close the door. | 把门关上 |
[10:43] | I think he is one the harbor stranglers | 我觉得他就是大家都在议论的 |
[10:45] | everybody is talking about. | “海港杀人魔”之一 |
[10:47] | Who? | 谁 |
[10:48] | My, my, my, my client. | 我的…我的…我的当事人 |
[10:49] | I, I just got finished meeting | 我…我刚刚见过这个 |
[10:50] | with this alibi witness. | 作为不在场证明的证人 |
[10:52] | I told Russell that we needed a witness, | 我跟Russell说 我们得找个证人 |
[10:54] | and he told me that he was in a bar | 他说他有个朋友当时和他一起在酒吧 |
[10:56] | with this other guy Ronzoni who I just met with. | 叫Ronzoni 就是我刚刚见过的那个 |
[10:58] | Slow down. | 慢慢说 |
[10:59] | Ok. | 好 |
[11:00] | This Ronzoni, | 这个叫Ronzoni的 |
[11:02] | I think he is the other serial killer, | 我觉得他就是另一个连环杀手 |
[11:03] | I saw his arm. | 我看到了他的手臂 |
[11:04] | What did he tell you? | 他都跟你说什么了 |
[11:06] | Well, he didn’t tell me anything, | 他啥都没跟我说 |
[11:08] | What? Do you think he is gonna tell you | 怎么 你觉得他还会明明白白告诉你 |
[11:10] | ** serial killer? | 他是个连环杀手吗 |
[11:10] | I mean, he is not some serial confessor. | 他难道会到处跟人承认自己是杀手吗 |
[11:12] | Rebecca. Slow down. | Rebecca 说慢点 |
[11:14] | Ok. Ok. | 好的 好的 |
[11:17] | Ronzoni has a tatoo, dice, | Ronzoni有个纹身 是枚骰子 |
[11:20] | right there. | 就纹在这里 |
[11:21] | It’s all on the papers. | 所有的报纸上都在说 |
[11:22] | One of the harbor stranglers | “海港杀人魔”中的一个 |
[11:24] | has a dice tatoo on his arm. | 手臂上有一个骰子图案的纹身 |
[11:26] | Yeah, that’s true. | 没错 的确是这样 |
[11:26] | I’ve heard that. | 我也听说了 |
[11:27] | And he also has a sexual assault conviction. | 而且他还有过性犯罪的前科 |
[11:30] | He raped the girl. | 他强奸过一个女孩 |
[11:31] | That doesn’t mean he… | 但这并不能说明他就… |
[11:32] | No, no. | 还没完呢 |
[11:32] | August 14th, | 八月十四日 |
[11:34] | Russell and Ronzoni were at a bar | Russell和Ronzoni在Franklin街的酒吧里 |
[11:35] | on Franklin till two in the morning. | 待到凌晨两点钟 |
[11:37] | Michell Carmings, the prostitute | 而那个叫Michell Carmings的妓女 |
[11:38] | was killed that night. | 就是那天晚上被杀害的 |
[11:40] | Now I looked it up. | 我又查了一下 |
[11:41] | She was last seen around two | 最后一次有人看到她 就是大约两点钟 |
[11:43] | on the corner of 18th and Franklin | 在Franklin街和第18大道的路口 |
[11:45] | which is just three blocks from that bar. | 这个地方离那家酒吧只隔三个街区 |
[11:47] | Now I’ve got a rapist with a tatoo | 现在 有个带纹身的强奸犯 |
[11:49] | near the scene of the crime, | 就在案发现场附近 |
[11:50] | you’re gonna tell me that doesn’t add up? | 你觉得这些还不足以说明问题吗 |
[11:52] | I mean, now we know he didn’t knock out a vedio store, | 我们知道他并没有闯到音像店去行窃 |
[11:54] | he was busy killing somebody. | 因为他正忙着杀人呢 |
[11:55] | So, so, do we call the police? | 那么 我们要报警吗 |
[11:56] | Well… | 这个… |
[11:57] | They’re serial killers. | 他们是连环杀手啊 |
[11:58] | Hold on. Unless someone is in immediate danger, | 等等 除非有人生命直接受到威胁 |
[12:01] | – There is! – Who? | -有啊 -谁啊 |
[12:02] | Any young girl, that’s who. | 任何一个女孩子 都可能是受害者 |
[12:04] | I don’t think you can reasonably believe | 我觉得你没有理由认为 |
[12:06] | someone is in danger, | 有人生命正受到威胁 |
[12:07] | unless you first know that these are the serial killers, | 除非你明确地知道他们俩就是连环杀手 |
[12:10] | and just on the tatoo, the… | 只是基于那个纹身 那么… |
[12:11] | Even if they are, | 就算他们是连环杀手 |
[12:12] | who is to say they’re goona do it again? | 谁又知道他们还会继续杀人呢 |
[12:13] | Of course they’re gonna do it again. | 他们当然还会继续杀人 |
[12:15] | They’re serial killers. | 他们是连环杀手啊 |
[12:16] | That’s why they call them serial killers, | 不然怎么叫连环杀手呢 |
[12:17] | they keep doing it. | 因为他们不断地杀人 |
[12:19] | What do you think? | 你怎么想 |
[12:20] | Well, if you knew these were the guys, | 如果你知道他们俩就是杀手 |
[12:22] | that would be one thing, maybe, but… | 那或许另当别论 但是… |
[12:24] | Why don’t we just turn in Ronzoni? | 我们可以只检举Ronzoni |
[12:25] | He is not my client. | 他又不是我的当事人 |
[12:26] | You’ll end up implicating Russell. | 但是你最后还是会牵连到Russell |
[12:29] | Did you read what they did to those girls? | 你没看过他们是怎么对那些女孩子的吗 |
[12:34] | I’m not sure we can do anything yet. | 我觉得我们没必要采取任何行动 |
[12:36] | Bobby, how can we not do anything? | Bobby 我们怎么能无动于衷呢 |
[12:38] | All you got is a belief | 你现在所有的只是一种感觉 |
[12:39] | that your client and his alibi witness | 觉得你的当事人和他的不在场证人 |
[12:41] | are bad guys. | 都是坏人 |
[12:43] | So I do nothing? | 那我就什么都不做吗 |
[12:45] | You defend your client. | 你继续为当事人辩护 |
[12:52] | Asking them what they believe at the time | 我只是在问他们当时的想法 |
[12:54] | is not invading work product. | 这并未侵犯他们的工作机密 |
[12:55] | Of course it is. | 当然侵犯了 |
[12:56] | I mean, our beliefs were based on | 因为我们的这些想法是基于 |
[12:58] | internal discussions made between each other. | 内部人员彼此之间的讨论和交流 |
[13:00] | Take a look at the transcript of the deposition, judge, | 法官阁下 请你看一下这次的证言笔录 |
[13:02] | they wouldn’t answer anything. | 他们根本什么都没回答 |
[13:03] | They also asserted work product | 同时 对于所有的披露文件的要求 |
[13:05] | to almost every request we made for document production. | 他们几乎全都以工作机密来推脱 |
[13:08] | Documents that were generated in preparation… | 他们要求披露的文件 是我们在准备… |
[13:10] | That’s not gonna fly, Ms. Dole. | 你们这样做可不行 Dole女士 |
[13:12] | You’re not gonna sweep everything | 你不能以工作机密为借口 |
[13:13] | under work product. | 拒绝所有的证据开示要求 |
[13:14] | All this stuff falls under our strategy in defending… | 所有这些都属于我们的辩护策略… |
[13:17] | Yeah, and it’s your strategy that you’re being sued for. | 他们起诉针对的也正是你们这些策略 |
[13:20] | You can’t pierce work product, | 你不能强制侵犯我们的工作机密 |
[13:21] | if you could, then… | 如果这样的话 那么… |
[13:22] | Look, this is the simple cause of action. | 听着 这个案子的诉由很简单 |
[13:24] | He is saying that you didn’t have a good faith belief | 他说你们在指控受害人的弟弟是凶手的时候 |
[13:27] | for pointing your finger at the brother, | 并非基于合理的依据 |
[13:28] | he is entitled to explore that. | 他有权要求你们开示与此相关的证据 |
[13:30] | It isn’t that simple, | 不是那么简单 |
[13:31] | if you allow it, where… | 如果你允许 那么… |
[13:32] | I’m making it that simple. | 我就要让它变得那么简单 |
[13:34] | Now, you answer all of these questions | 现在 你必须回答所有这些问题 |
[13:36] | truthfully, completely. | 诚实地 全面地回答 |
[13:38] | or I’ll enter a judgment for the plaintiff right now. | 否则我现在就直接判决原告胜诉 |
[13:44] | I’d appeal right now, get it certified to SJC. | 我觉得应该立即上诉 打到麻省最高法院 |
[13:46] | And if we lose, | 但如果我们输了 |
[13:46] | -then we right back before this guy – Hold on. | -我们还要回来面对这个家伙 -等等 |
[13:48] | who’d be even more angry than he already is. | 到那时候 他会比现在更加愤怒 |
[13:49] | You weren’t afraid of pissing Judge Hiller | 在Pearson的案子上 你怎么就不怕 |
[13:50] | on the Pearson trial. | 得罪Hiller法官呢 |
[13:51] | That was after the verdict, Ellenor. | 那是陪审团判决之后的事了 Ellenor |
[13:52] | This guy is a trial judge. | 但这家伙还要审理我们的案子 |
[13:54] | -We can’t be answering question… -We can’t be going into court | -我们不能回答那些问题 -如果法官对我们有偏见 |
[13:56] | with a judge who is biased against us. | 那我们的案子就更难打了 |
[13:57] | We’re dead. | 我们死定了 |
[13:58] | Table it. | 先消停会儿 |
[14:04] | Hey, guys. | 伙计们 |
[14:06] | Look, I know this sound self-serving, | 我知道这听起来有点自私 |
[14:10] | like I’m trying to have it both ways. | 好像我想两面逢迎似的 |
[14:12] | Truth is, I really don’t like sueing other lawyers. | 而事实是 我真的不想起诉其他律师 |
[14:15] | Especially a small firm. | 特别是小事务所的律师 |
[14:17] | I feel like we’re from the same club. | 因为我觉得我们是同一阵营的 |
[14:21] | That aside, I’m sueing you | 话是这么说 可是我已经告了你们了 |
[14:22] | and you guys are facing some serious exposure. | 你们现在的处境非常危险 |
[14:25] | Not just money wise, but public relations too. | 不只是金钱方面 还有你们的公共形象 |
[14:27] | Be smart. Settle this. | 放聪明点 跟我们和解 |
[14:30] | I won’t push for anything | 我要的赔偿金额不会超过 |
[14:31] | beyond your policy limit. | 你们的保险赔付范围 |
[14:34] | You know I’m right. | 你们也知道我说得没错 |
[14:37] | Let’s not be silly. | 大家都别意气用事 |
[14:43] | Me? | 我? |
[14:44] | We’ve given it a lot thought, Helen. | 这是我们深思熟虑的结果 Helen |
[14:46] | Oh, isn’t this just a little too incestuous? | 这岂不是有点乱伦的感觉 |
[14:48] | I’ve slept with Bobby Donnell, | 我和Bobby Donnell上过床 |
[14:50] | my roommate is Linday Dole. | Linday Dole是我的室友 |
[14:51] | And you have gone up against them before, so… | 你以前也跟他们打过对手 所以… |
[14:53] | Yes, which has never proven to be a very good idea. | 是啊 结果证明这根本不是个好主意 |
[14:55] | I know I’s asking a lot, | 我知道我要求得有点多 |
[14:56] | but there is a lot heat here, | 但是这个案子面临的压力很大 |
[14:58] | that baby is made good copy. | 那个婴儿的案件很吸引眼球 |
[15:00] | Do you know how much of a personal life I have? | 你知道我还有多少私生活吗 |
[15:01] | Lindsay is my best friend, | Lindsay是我最好的朋友 |
[15:03] | Bobby is a friend too. Either… | Bobby也是我的好朋友 不管是谁… |
[15:04] | They just sandbagged you in open court, | 他们刚刚在法庭上暗算了你 |
[15:07] | – how can you feel… – That was Ellenor Frutt. | -你怎么还… -那是Ellenor Frutt |
[15:08] | Helen Helen. | |
[15:13] | You’re better than anybody know this firm, | 你比谁都了解这个事务所 |
[15:15] | you’re the only DA we have | 你是我们唯一一个 |
[15:17] | that seems to be able to beat them. | 有可能打败他们的检察官 |
[15:19] | We need you. | 我们需要你 |
[15:22] | I tendered his name as soon as | 我一了解到他当时也在酒吧 |
[15:23] | I became aware of him. | 就提交了他的姓名 |
[15:24] | It’s unfair surprise, your honor. | 法官阁下 这是不当突袭 |
[15:26] | There is no real surprise, your honor. | 这不算不当突袭 法官阁下 |
[15:28] | This witness corroborates to my client’s alibi. | 这位证人只是证实我的当事人当时不在现场 |
[15:30] | The defendant obvilously feels he is losing | 被告明显是感觉自己要输了 |
[15:32] | so he found someone to lie for him. | 所以他就随便找个人来帮他撒谎 |
[15:33] | I don’t understand why if this is your client’s friend, | 我不太明白 既然你说他是你当事人的朋友 |
[15:37] | you didn’t know about him any sooner. | 你为什么到现在才知道呢 |
[15:40] | Your honor, as soon as I became aware of this witness, | 法官阁下 我一得知有这样一位证人 |
[15:43] | as soon as I have the opportunity to talk with him, | 在我有机会跟他见面交谈之后 |
[15:46] | I tendered his name. | 我就立即提交了他的姓名 |
[15:49] | I’ll cut you a little slack this time, | 这次我就放你一马 |
[15:51] | I’ll grant a continuance until 9 o’clock tomorrow, | 我同意延期到明天早上九点 |
[15:53] | so you can prepare for the witness. | 让你有时间准备这个证人的出庭作证 |
[16:00] | The report was not great. | 报告结果并不乐观 |
[16:04] | What do you mean? | 你这话什么意思 |
[16:05] | The psychiatist thinks you could be in denial. | 精神病专家认为你可能潜意识地逃避现实 |
[16:09] | What? | 什么 |
[16:10] | He makes room for the possibilty that | 他觉得有一种可能性是 |
[16:12] | you don’t even have a memory of it, | 你根本不记得发生了什么事 |
[16:13] | that’s why you passed the polygraph. | 所以你通过了测谎仪测试 |
[16:17] | You’re saying that I committed a murder, | 你的意思是说我杀了人 |
[16:20] | but I don’t have a memory of it? | 但是却完全不记得了 |
[16:23] | It was a court ordered report, I… | 这是法庭委托做出的报告 我… |
[16:25] | it can’t be introduced, | 这份报告不能作为证据 |
[16:26] | so I’m not even worried about it. | 所以对此我倒是一点也不担心 |
[16:28] | But, it doesn’t encourage | 但是 因为有了这份报告 |
[16:30] | the DA to let you go either. | 检方现在也不会把你放掉 |
[16:32] | Speaking of which, we just got a little more bad news there too. | 说到这里 我们刚刚得到另外一个坏消息 |
[16:36] | Helen Gamble will be prosecuting. | Helen Gamble将会负责检控 |
[16:39] | Who is Helen Gamble? | Helen Gamble是谁 |
[16:40] | One of their best on homicides. | 在谋杀案上 她是最好的检察官之一 |
[16:43] | She and I also used to be involved, | 我跟她也曾经有过恋情 |
[16:45] | she lives with another lawyer at my firm. | 她现在和我们事务所的另一位律师住在一起 |
[16:47] | She knows us all very well. | 她对我们每个人都了如指掌 |
[16:49] | I suspect that’s why she’s been put on. | 我想这也是让她负责检控的原因 |
[16:51] | But it’s not all bad. | 但也不全是坏事 |
[16:52] | I know her style too. | 我也了解她的风格 |
[16:55] | You’ve tried cases against her before? | 你以前和她交过手吗 |
[16:58] | Several times. | 有过几次 |
[16:59] | Who usually wins? | 通常谁赢得多 |
[17:02] | It comes down more actually facts than lawyers… | 其实主要还是取决于案件事实 而不是律师… |
[17:04] | So she usually win. | 这么说是她赢得多 |
[17:06] | Their case is very circumstantial and | 检方现在只有一些间接证据 |
[17:08] | since you were the last one with the baby. | 因为你是最后和婴儿待在一起的人 |
[17:10] | The father did it. | 是他父亲干的 |
[17:12] | People have seen him being abusive. | 人们也看到了他有暴力倾向 |
[17:14] | – He… – But Kevin was with you | -他 -但Kevin停止呼吸的时候 |
[17:15] | when he stopped breathing. | 是你在他身边 |
[17:18] | It may not be proof you did it, | 这可能不足以证明是你杀了他 |
[17:20] | but it sure as hell gets | 但是对于他的父亲来说 |
[17:21] | reasonable doubt to the father. | 这肯定足以构成合理怀疑 |
[17:27] | That’s why they’re prosecuting me, isn’t it? | 所以他们就起诉我 对吗 |
[17:31] | The public wants a conviction | 公众想尽快给凶手定罪 |
[17:32] | and I’m the only one they can get. | 而唯一有可能被定罪的就是我 |
[17:37] | It’s possible. | 有这个可能 |
[17:46] | I want you to talk to everybody, | 我要你去找每个人都谈一谈 |
[17:48] | anybody who knows her | 每个认识她的人 |
[17:49] | Our whole defense might be | 我们全部的辩护理由 |
[17:50] | it’s not in her character. | 或许只能是”她不是这样的人” |
[17:52] | Ok. | 好的 |
[17:52] | Ellenor, I’d like you to go over the medical, | Ellenor 我要你再去调查一下医疗记录 |
[17:54] | see if there is anything unanswered, | 看看是不是还有我们不知道的情况 |
[17:55] | pre-existing conditions. | 之前是否有其他疾病 |
[17:56] | The cause of death isn’t in question, Bobby, | 死亡原因无可置疑 Bobby |
[17:58] | The autopsy was… | 尸检… |
[17:59] | I don’t want to assume that | 我不想假定 |
[18:00] | the autopsy is accurate, fine, | 如果尸检确实很准确 那没问题 |
[18:01] | but let’s not be giving them the benefit of the doubt. | 但是我们不必过于信任他们的结论 |
[18:05] | Is it just me | 是只有我一个人看出来了吗 |
[18:06] | or there is a perfect plan B? | 这不是利用B计划的完美机会吗 |
[18:08] | We got an abusive father | 我们有一个有暴力史的父亲 |
[18:09] | and we’re just runing scared | 可是我们却瞻前顾后 |
[18:10] | because we got sued. | 因为我们被起诉了 |
[18:11] | Nobody is running scared, | 没有人瞻前顾后 |
[18:13] | we’ll go after the father if we have to. | 如果有必要 我们会指控孩子的父亲 |
[18:16] | What’s the deal on the other? | 其他的案子上有什么进展 |
[18:18] | Eugene’s depo resumes tomorrow. | Eugene的证言笔录明天继续进行 |
[18:19] | 2 o’clock. | 两点钟 |
[18:20] | May I make a very unpopular suggestion? | 我能提个不太讨人喜欢的建议吗 |
[18:22] | Forget it. | 别提 |
[18:23] | If we were representing another firm being sued for this, | 如果我们是在代理另外一家被起诉的事务所 |
[18:25] | we would absolutely be recommending settlement. | 我们一定会建议他们和解 |
[18:27] | It’s not another firm, it’s us. | 这不是另外一家事务所 是我们自己 |
[18:29] | Our policy limit is 1.5 | 我们的保险赔付限额是150万 |
[18:31] | suppose the jury slaps us with a 3-million-dollar judgment, | 如果陪审团判我们赔偿300万 |
[18:33] | it’s not just everything | 那我们输掉的就不仅是 |
[18:34] | in this office we lose, | 这间办公室里所有的东西 |
[18:35] | we’re named personally. | 我们个人也是被告 |
[18:36] | They’ll take our cars, our refrigerater | 他们会拿走我们的车 我们的冰箱 |
[18:38] | If we settle this, | 如果我们和解 |
[18:39] | it’s an admission of liability, | 就是承认我们自己有责任 |
[18:41] | then we’ll be headlines in every legal publication. | 然后我们就会成为各大法律出版物的头条 |
[18:43] | – That’s not true. – It is true, Lindsay. | -才不是这样 -就是这样的 Lindsay |
[18:45] | And on principle, how do we cave? | 就原则而言 我们怎么能认输呢 |
[18:46] | Forget principle, I’m talking about surviving. | 别管什么原则了 我说的是生存问题 |
[18:48] | Which we won’t do without principle. | 没有原则 我们就不能生存 |
[18:50] | Now the practice of law | 对你来说 |
[18:51] | may only amount to a conference table to you, | 做律师或许只意味着一张会议桌 |
[18:53] | with me, it’s more. | 而对我却远不止这些 |
[18:55] | – All right. – Who are you kidding? | -别吵了 -你开什么玩笑呢 |
[18:56] | You stood up in an open court and | 你站在公开的法庭上 |
[18:58] | accused a brother of killing his sister, | 指控那个弟弟杀了他的姐姐 |
[18:59] | you’re gonna claim the highroad? | 结果你现在却来装高尚了 |
[19:01] | We all agreed to plan B the guy. | 我们都同意对他用B计划的 |
[19:02] | A soft plan B. You went for the throat. | 温和的B计划 你却咄咄逼人直扼其喉 |
[19:05] | Now we’re getting sued. | 现在可好 我们被起诉了 |
[19:07] | You not only owe an apology to that kid, | 你不仅应该向那个孩子道歉 |
[19:08] | you owe one to the rest of us here, | 你还应该向我们所有人道歉 |
[19:10] | Will you put us at risk? | 不是因为你 我们怎么会有这些危险 |
[19:11] | Hey, Lindsay, you’re the one that first told us to go after the brother. | Lindsay 指控弟弟最开始就是你提出来的 |
[19:13] | Not like that, I didn’t. | 你们不是按照我的意思来做的 |
[19:14] | I said raise the question. | 我说的是 提出这个疑问就行了 |
[19:16] | A jury is gonna kill us. | 陪审团会让我们全完蛋的 |
[19:18] | All right, that’ll do. | 好了 别争了 |
[19:22] | At a minimum, Lindsay may be right | 至少 Lindsay说要找外部的律师 |
[19:24] | about an outside counsel. | 这或许是对的 |
[19:26] | I’m gonna look to bring somebody else in. | 我去征求一下外部律师的意见 |
[19:34] | Should I send it back? | 我是不是该退回去呢 |
[19:36] | I mean, it’s supposed to be chocolate. | 因为我要的是巧克力蛋糕 |
[19:38] | This is German chocolate. | 可这是德国巧克力蛋糕 |
[19:41] | Puke. | 真恶心 |
[19:42] | Will she care? | 她很在意吗 |
[19:45] | Jimmy, it’s got coconut bits. | Jimmy 这上面居然有椰蓉诶 |
[19:46] | It’s just a cake, Lucy… | 只是个蛋糕而已嘛 Lucy… |
[19:48] | How often does a person gets sworn in to be a lawyer? | 一个人一生能够参加几次律师入职宣誓 |
[19:51] | You know, this is a big thing, Jimmy. | 这是件大事 你懂不懂啊 Jimmy |
[19:53] | You don’t celebrate big things | 你绝不会用个恶心的 |
[19:55] | with German puck coconut bit chocolate. | 德国椰蓉巧克力蛋糕来庆祝大事的 |
[20:01] | Serial killer. | 连环杀手 |
[20:02] | I’m on break. | 我先闪了 |
[20:06] | Can I help you? | 能为你做什么吗 |
[20:07] | Yeah, I’m looking for Rebecca Washington. | 哦 我想找Rebecca Washington |
[20:10] | – Mr. Ronzoni. – Yeah. | -Ronzoni先生 -嗯 |
[20:12] | Look, I’m having some second thoughts about this, | 我重新考虑了下出庭作证的事情 |
[20:14] | can I do this like by affidavit or… | 我想能不能以宣誓书之类的形式来… |
[20:16] | I don’t think you can. | 我觉着不行 |
[20:17] | Suppose they dig out my record. | 万一他们查到我有前科呢 |
[20:18] | You have already done your time for that, | 你都已经服完刑了 |
[20:20] | they can’t do anything. | 他们又不能把你怎么样 |
[20:23] | Look, I, I would just ask you a few questions | 我只会问你几个问题 |
[20:26] | keep it short. | 我会尽量简短 |
[20:29] | What questions exactly? | 具体是什么问题呢 |
[20:31] | Do you recall where you were on August 14th | 你能回忆起在8月14日凌晨一点半的时候 |
[20:34] | at 1:30 in the morning? | 你在哪里吗 |
[20:35] | Oh, yeah. I was at Little Freddy’s, | 可以 我当时在”小弗雷迪”酒吧 |
[20:38] | a bar on Franklin near the corner of 15th. | 在Franklin街上 靠近第15大道街角 |
[20:41] | Did anyone accompany you to the bar that night? | 那晚有谁和你一起去酒吧吗 |
[20:43] | Yes, Russell Thurm. | 有 Russell Thurm |
[20:45] | We arrived together, around 11, | 我们一起去的 大约是11点钟 |
[20:48] | and left toghter about 2. | 直到两点左右 我们一起离开 |
[20:51] | From 11 till 2, | 从11点到凌晨两点期间 |
[20:52] | were you ever apart from Mr. Thurm? | 你是否和Thurm先生分开过 |
[20:54] | Only a couple of minutes for bathroom, no. | 只有几分钟 去上厕所 |
[20:57] | Well, how can yo be sure that it was August 14th | 那你怎么确定你俩一起去酒吧的那天 |
[21:00] | that you were together? | 就是8月14日? |
[21:01] | Well, I have the credit card receipt. | 我信用卡消费小票上有时间 |
[21:04] | Is this the receipt you’re referring to? | 这就是你说的消费小票吗 |
[21:09] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[21:10] | Mark and identify, your honor. | 请求记录并确认 法官阁下 |
[21:11] | Mark exhibit 7. | 请记录 证据七 |
[21:13] | Could you please read the highlighted portion? | 你能读一下标示出来的部分吗 |
[21:16] | Ah, Little Freddy’s, | 呃 小弗雷迪酒吧 |
[21:18] | 31 dollars 78 cents, Peter T Ronzoni. | 31美元78美分 Peter T Ronzoni |
[21:21] | August 14th, 1998, 1:57 AM. | 1998年8月14日 凌晨1:57 |
[21:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[21:30] | Russell Thurm’s name | Russell Thurm的名字 |
[21:31] | appears no round on this receipt, does it? | 并未出现在消费小票上 对吗 |
[21:33] | Well, why would his name be on my receipt? | 为什么他的名字要出现在我的小票上 |
[21:35] | So, all the receipt proves is | 所以 这张小票只能证明 |
[21:36] | that you were in the bar that night, doesn’t it? | 你那天晚上在那家酒吧 对吗 |
[21:38] | – Objection. – Sustained. | -反对 -反对有效 |
[21:40] | You consider Russell Thurm a friend? | Russell Thurm是你的朋友? |
[21:42] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[21:43] | A good friend? | 你的好朋友? |
[21:44] | I guess. | 是的 |
[21:45] | You won’t see a good friend go to jail, do you? | 你不想看到自己的好朋友蹲监狱 对吧 |
[21:47] | No. | 不想 |
[21:49] | Stayed in that bar until 2, huh? | 你们一直在酒吧待到凌晨两点? |
[21:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[21:52] | Didn’t leave before closing? | 酒吧打烊前都没出去过? |
[21:53] | Right. | 是的 |
[21:55] | Right. | 好的 |
[22:06] | I really appreciate you talking to me. | 我真的很感谢你愿意跟我谈这些 |
[22:08] | Huh, Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 |
[22:09] | my entire congregation would have been here | 如果你之前提出要求 |
[22:10] | if you’d asked them. | 我的整个教区都会愿意来见你的 |
[22:12] | You dont’ think Evelyn could have done this? | 你觉得Evelyn不会干这种事 是吗 |
[22:14] | It’s beyond any possibility. | 绝对不可能 |
[22:17] | I won’t throw around saint word, | 我不想说什么道德崇高之类的话 |
[22:18] | but Evelyn Myfield is not only a gentle woman, | 但Evelyn Myfield不仅温文尔雅 |
[22:21] | she is one of the most loving. | 而且算是最有爱心的人了 |
[22:24] | She’s probably babysit the children | 她大概为这个教区一大半的家庭 |
[22:25] | of over half the congregation. | 都当过保姆 照看婴儿 |
[22:29] | Nobody has ever complained that she had a temper or | 从来没有人说过她脾气不好吗 |
[22:32] | you know, used COPA punishment? | 或者 体罚孩子 |
[22:35] | No. | 没有 |
[22:37] | Mr. Berluti, they’re still calling her to babysit. | Berluti先生 他们现在仍然请她照看婴儿 |
[22:41] | Now, I mean, I may not be the world’s best judge of character, | 我想说 或许我并不是世界上看人最准的人 |
[22:43] | but they’ve got the wrong person. | 但他们真的抓错人了 |
[22:47] | You know the father of the victim? | 那你认识受害者的父亲吗 |
[22:49] | I do, he is in the congregation. | 认识 他也是这个教会的成员 |
[22:52] | You think he could have done this? | 你觉得有可能是他干的吗 |
[22:55] | I really don’t feel comfortable commenting on that. | 我真的不想回答你这个问题 |
[22:59] | We thought that he was basically unaccounted for | 我们认为在案发时 |
[23:01] | at the time of the crime. | 没人知道他在哪里 |
[23:02] | That rasied suspicion. | 这就产生了疑点 |
[23:03] | Did you have any evidence of | 你们有任何证据表明 |
[23:05] | Steve Robin having a history of violence? | Steve Robin有暴力伤人的经历吗 |
[23:07] | No. But that doesn’t mean… | 没有 但这并不意味着… |
[23:08] | The answer to the question was no. | 我们对这个问题的回答是”没有” |
[23:10] | Doesn’t mean what? | 并不意味着什么 |
[23:12] | The answer was no. | 我们的回答是”没有” |
[23:15] | Are you familiar with the term “plan B”? | 你们熟悉”B计划”这个术语吗 |
[23:21] | This is work product. | 这是工作机密 |
[23:23] | If we go back before the judge… | 如果我们再回到法官面前… |
[23:24] | I don’t wanna be giving him some… | 我不想给他任何… |
[23:25] | Just give him the answer we discussed. | 就用我们讨论过的答案回答他 |
[23:31] | Yes, I’m familiar with the term. | 是的 我熟悉这个术语 |
[23:33] | Could you define it please? | 能请你说一下这个术语的定义吗 |
[23:36] | Sometimes when we have clients who we feel | 有些时候 当我们觉得我们的当事人 |
[23:38] | did not commit the crime of what he or she is charged, | 并没有犯他们被指控的罪行 |
[23:41] | instead of simply aiming to establish reasonable doubt, | 我们在辩护的时候不是简单地提出合理怀疑 |
[23:44] | which we’ll consider plan A, | 也就是我们所说的”A计划” |
[23:46] | we endeavour to rasie the possibility | 相反 我们会提出另外的可能性 |
[23:48] | of perhaps another suspect | 指出凶手可能是另有其人 |
[23:49] | who had motive and opportunity | 指出那些既有犯罪动机 |
[23:51] | to commit the crime. | 又有犯罪机会的其他嫌疑人 |
[23:53] | We call that plan B. | 这就是我们所说的”B计划” |
[23:54] | You point the finger at somebody else. | 你们指出凶手另有其人 |
[23:58] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:59] | And in the Vogelman trial, | 在Vogelman的案子里 |
[24:01] | you pointed the finger at Steve Robin. | 你们就指控Steve Robin是凶手 |
[24:03] | We raised a question as to his motive and opportunity. | 我们针对他的作案动机和作案机会提出质疑 |
[24:08] | It went ok, | 还比较顺利 |
[24:09] | And we may have a good shot. | 我觉得我们很有可能会赢 |
[24:11] | What happens next? | 下一步做什么 |
[24:13] | Closing arguments, then we wait for the verdict. | 结案陈词 然后等待陪审团裁决 |
[24:15] | Well, am I gonna be here for the alibi? | 我还需要作为不在场证人坐在这里吗 |
[24:17] | No. | 不用 |
[24:18] | Hello. | 你好 |
[24:24] | What? | 什么 |
[24:26] | I did this as much as I could. | 我尽可能把它录全了 |
[24:28] | Danny Shore is believed | 警方认为Danny Shore |
[24:30] | to be the tenth victim of the now infamous Harbor Stranglers, | 是臭名昭著的”海港杀人魔”的第十个受害者 |
[24:33] | at 15, | 她今年15岁 |
[24:34] | she would also be the youngest victim | 是这些凶残的杀手所杀害的人当中 |
[24:36] | of these grisly killers. | 年纪最小的一个 |
[24:38] | Though police are releaseing few details at this hour, | 尽管警方此时不愿透露太多细节 |
[24:41] | we do know this, | 但我们已经证实 |
[24:42] | her naked body was found by a homeless man | 是一个流浪汉在周二发现了她的尸体 |
[24:44] | on Tuesday. | 全身赤裸 |
[24:45] | At this hour, it appears Ms. Shore was abducted | 目前看来 Shore女士是从她朋友家出来 |
[24:48] | while walking home from a friend’s house. | 在回家的路上惨遭毒手的 |
[24:53] | It doesn’t change anything, Bec. | 情况仍然没有任何变化 Bec |
[24:55] | Doesn’t change anything, | 怎么没有任何变化 |
[24:56] | Bobby, they just killed somebody else. | Bobby 他们刚刚又杀了人 |
[24:58] | You don’t know it was them. | 你又不知道是不是他们干的 |
[25:00] | You don’t know they’re the killers, | 你不清楚他们是不是杀手 |
[25:02] | you don’t know they’re gonna hurt somebody else | 也不知道他们会不会伤害其他人 |
[25:04] | you have no legal right to do anything. | 在法律上 你没有权利做任何事情 |
[25:06] | Legal? What about moral right? | 法律上? 那道德上的权利呢 |
[25:08] | That oath you’re about to take tomorrow | 你明天宣誓仪式上要说的誓言 |
[25:09] | – has nothing to do with moral right. – Oh, please. | -与道德权利毫无关系 -哦 得了吧 |
[25:11] | spoken like you’re a true defense attorney. | 你可真是个称职的辩护律师 |
[25:13] | Which you are on this case. | 你正是这个案子的辩护律师 |
[25:19] | Sit. | 坐吧 |
[25:28] | This is the worst part of the job, Rebecca. | 这就是律师的工作最痛苦的地方 Rebecca |
[25:33] | But it does go with the job. | 但这是律师工作不可分割的部分 |
[25:37] | I know you know, | 我知道你也懂 |
[25:38] | coz you’ve seen me and Eugene | 因为你一直看着我 Eugene |
[25:39] | and everybody here | 还有这里的每个人 |
[25:40] | agonized over the same kind of situation. | 都为相同的情况而痛苦挣扎 |
[25:44] | The reason you’re so frustrated is… | 你之所以这么灰心沮丧… |
[25:50] | is because you know. | 正是因为你懂 |
[25:52] | You don’t have a choice. | 你知道自己别无选择 |
[25:57] | My feeling is she is very much the wonderful person they claim. | 我觉得正如他们所说 她是个非常好的人 |
[26:00] | A wonderful person who shook a baby to death. | 一个把婴儿摇死的好人 |
[26:02] | Well, that’s why I think denial is possible. | 所以说 我觉得她有可能是潜意识里逃避现实 |
[26:05] | It would be unconscionable to hurt a child, | 伤害孩子违背人的良知 |
[26:07] | inconceivable to her that she could hurt him. | 所以她无法想象自己真的会伤害他 |
[26:09] | So, if she snapped, | 所以 如果她情绪失控了 |
[26:11] | She may have blocked it out. | 她可能潜意识里阻断了这段记忆 |
[26:12] | Um, I’m hearing too many ifs, | 我现在听到的全都是假设 |
[26:14] | I’m not walking into court with if. | 我是不会带着假设的情况出庭的 |
[26:16] | Did she do this or not? | 人到底是不是她杀的 |
[26:18] | I’m not saying she did it, | 我可没说是她杀的 |
[26:19] | you’re saying she did. | 是你说她杀了人 |
[26:20] | What’s going on? | 到底怎么回事 |
[26:21] | Did you not find she was in denial? | 你不是认为她潜意识里逃避现实吗 |
[26:23] | You asked me to evaluate this person to determine | 你让我评估一下这个人 |
[26:26] | if she was psychologically capable of… | 以确定她在精神方面能否… |
[26:27] | We asked you in your professional opionion | 我们问的是 根据你的专业意见 |
[26:29] | if she committed the crime. | 是不是她杀的人 |
[26:31] | Well, that’s ridiculous to ask me that, | 你让我回答这个问题就太可笑了 |
[26:33] | I don’t know the facts. | 我又不清楚事实 |
[26:34] | All right, all right, hold on. | 好了 好了 等等 |
[26:36] | If you don’t think she did it, | 如果你认为人不是她杀的 |
[26:39] | how the hell do you find her | 你这该死的又怎么认定她 |
[26:40] | to be in denial? | 潜意识里在逃避现实呢 |
[26:41] | – Look, Ms. Gamble, I don’t need… – All right, docotr, | -Gamble女士 我不必… -好了 医生 |
[26:43] | just tell us. | 跟我们解释一下吧 |
[26:46] | I found a pattern of denial with her, | 我发现她习惯性地逃避 |
[26:48] | when she is pushed, | 当我追问她的时候 |
[26:49] | she retreats to the god and her religion. | 她就会以上帝或是宗教信仰作为挡箭牌 |
[26:51] | There were certain memory laps that she couldn’t account for, but, | 她记不得一些特定时间内的事情 但是 |
[26:54] | I don’t think she was lying. | 我觉得她没有撒谎 |
[26:57] | I’m very confused here. | 我有点被你绕晕了 |
[26:58] | The baby died in her custody, | 那个婴儿是在她的照看中死掉的 |
[27:00] | there’re things she didn’t remember, | 而有些事情她完全不记得了 |
[27:01] | my suspicion is her memory is blocked. | 我怀疑是她的记忆被阻断了 |
[27:06] | And she is the one blocking it. | 而阻断这一段记忆的 正是她自己 |
[27:10] | I want to offer manslaughter. | 我想以非蓄谋杀人跟他们达成辩诉交易 |
[27:14] | Go ahead. | 去吧 |
[27:18] | Come in. | 请进 |
[27:22] | Ms. Washington? | Washington女士? |
[27:28] | I’d like to withdraw from the case. | 我想退出这个案子的辩护 |
[27:33] | On what grounds? | 理由呢 |
[27:34] | Irreconcilable differences. | 不可调和的冲突 |
[27:36] | You’re going to have to do better. | 你最好找个靠谱点的理由 |
[27:41] | Hypothetically, | 假如说 |
[27:43] | let’s just say a lawyer has reason to believe | 这样说吧 如果一个律师有理由相信 |
[27:45] | his client is a serial killer, | 他的当事人是个连环杀手 |
[27:48] | would that be legal cause? | 这算是合法的理由吗 |
[27:52] | Is your client asking to commit a crime or fraud? | 你的当事人要求你犯罪或者欺诈了吗 |
[27:56] | No. But… | 没有 但是… |
[27:57] | Your request to withdraw is denied. | 你退出本案的请求被驳回 |
[28:00] | Hypothetically, what if he is about to commit a crime? | 那再假如说 如果他将要实施犯罪呢 |
[28:03] | You have knowledge of that? | 你有相关的证据吗 |
[28:05] | Not specific knowledge, but common sense… | 没有直接的证据 但是凭常识来看… |
[28:08] | Common sense? | 凭常识? |
[28:10] | You realize you violated your ethical obligations | 你知道你跑到这里来跟我说这些 |
[28:13] | coming in here with this? | 已经违背了职业操守吗 |
[28:15] | You asked whether I had legal cause, | 你刚问我有没有合法的理由 |
[28:17] | – I just posed hypothetical… – Counsel. | -我只是提出一个假设… -律师 |
[28:20] | I’m going to give you the benefit of intelligence, | 我愿意相信你有一颗聪慧的头脑 |
[28:22] | and assume that you knew before you walked in here, | 我想在你走进来之前 你就已经知道 |
[28:26] | that you didn’t have cause, | 自己并没有合法的理由 |
[28:29] | Look, if a client doesn’t pay, | 可是 如果当事人不付律师费 |
[28:32] | that’s legal cause to withdraw, | 都可以成为退出辩护的合法理由 |
[28:34] | I figured something a little more serious | 我觉得诸如强奸或者谋杀之类更严重的事情 |
[28:36] | like rape or murder might qualify too. | 应该也是一个合法的理由 |
[28:38] | Yes, and you figured if you couched it as hypothetical, | 是啊 你还觉得如果以假设的方式向我提出来 |
[28:41] | you could make an end run around the legal ethics, | 你就可以绕过法律伦理的障碍 |
[28:44] | and that maybe I would pass on the information to the police. | 而且或许我会把这个信息转达给警方 |
[28:47] | You were wrong. | 你错了 |
[28:49] | – Suppose he kill somebody else? – Counsel. | -那如果他又杀了其他人呢 -律师 |
[28:58] | Did you come in here for me to make it easier for you? | 你来这里是想让我帮你把事情变得简单些吗 |
[29:02] | I will. | 没问题 |
[29:04] | Go and prepare your closing. | 你去给我好好准备你的结案陈词 |
[29:07] | And if I have the slightest suspicion | 如果我有一丁点怀疑 |
[29:09] | that you’re not vigorously defending your client, | 觉得你没有竭尽全力地为你的当事人辩护 |
[29:12] | I will, I promise you, | 我一定会 我保证 |
[29:14] | turn you over to the board of BAR overseers. | 一定把你报告给律师监督委员会 |
[29:17] | I would report that you passed on information | 我会报告说你私自向我透露信息 |
[29:19] | prejudicing your client, | 损害你的当事人的利益 |
[29:21] | that you tried to bias me against him | 你试图让我对你的当事人产生偏见 |
[29:23] | and let you threw the case. | 从而让你退出辩护 |
[29:26] | And you won’t even make it to tomorrow’s ceremony. | 这样你连明天的宣誓仪式也不必参加了 |
[29:33] | Manslaughter is the best we can do. | 非蓄谋杀人是我们能接受的最低条件了 |
[29:35] | She didn’t do it, Helen. | 她没有杀人 Helen |
[29:36] | Coroner’s telling me she did. | 验尸官说是她杀的 |
[29:38] | It was the father. | 是孩子的父亲干的 |
[29:39] | Oh, come on, Bobby, | 省省吧 Bobby |
[29:40] | don’t you think we’d like it to be the father? | 你不觉得我们也希望是他父亲干的吗 |
[29:42] | History of abuse, tendency towards voilence, | 有虐待的前科 有暴力倾向 |
[29:45] | he was the obvious suspect. | 他显而易见是个嫌疑人 |
[29:47] | But the doctors tell us the death was immediate. | 但是医生说死亡是当场发生的 |
[29:50] | Evelyn Myfield was the only one there. | Evelyn Myfield是唯一在现场的人 |
[29:54] | Is it true her church is paying her legal fees? | 听说她的教会帮她付了律师费 是真的吗 |
[29:57] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[29:59] | Helen, friend to friend. | Helen 看在朋友的份上 |
[30:01] | Oh, yes, let’s trade on that trust thing | 是啊 我跟你们事务所之间 |
[30:03] | I’ve got going with your office | 还真是一直都相互信任呢 |
[30:04] | I think she is innocent. | 我认为她是无辜的 |
[30:05] | Bobby, you always do. | Bobby 你总是这样说 |
[30:07] | And you always sense they’re guilty. | 你也总是觉得他们有罪 |
[30:08] | Well, that’s probably why we didn’t work out. | 这也许就是我们没能在一起的原因 |
[30:15] | I’ll… | 我… |
[30:17] | I’ll give you manslaughter. | 我可以接受非蓄谋杀人 |
[30:23] | Ms. Washington? | Washington女士 |
[30:29] | Ms. Washington? | Washington女士 |
[30:44] | This may seem like just a simple burglary case. | 这个案子看起来只是个简单的入室盗窃案 |
[30:47] | But there is much more at stake. | 但实际上已经威胁到一些更重大的原则 |
[30:50] | I promise you that. | 我向你们保证 |
[30:56] | It’s the integrity | 受到威胁的 |
[30:57] | of our criminal justice system. | 是我们的刑事司法制度的公正性 |
[31:00] | That system is designed | 这套制度设立的目的 |
[31:02] | to preserve people’s rights. | 就是为了保障人们的权利 |
[31:04] | We go to great lengths to do that. | 这是我们为之竭力奋斗的目标 |
[31:08] | One right | 其中一项权利就是 |
[31:09] | is that someone can’t be found guilty | 只有当证据排除了合理怀疑的时候 |
[31:11] | without proof beyond a reasonable doubt. | 才能认定某人罪名成立 |
[31:15] | What do we have here? | 看看我们有什么证据 |
[31:17] | A nighttime ID, | 案发时间在晚上 |
[31:19] | boxes covering the burglar’s face, | 盒子挡住了小偷的脸 |
[31:22] | The security guard catching a momentary glimpse. | 保安只在匆忙中瞄到一眼 |
[31:26] | That is their entire case. | 这就是他们全部的证据 |
[31:30] | Not a big part, not most | 不是多半的证据 也不是大部分证据 |
[31:33] | but their entire case. | 而实实在在就是全部的证据 |
[31:36] | A few seconds as the suspect | 嫌犯当时被盒子挡住了脸 |
[31:39] | was running away in the opposite direction | 他正朝着目击者相反的方向逃跑 |
[31:41] | with boxes blocking his face, | 时间只有短短的几秒钟 |
[31:44] | Beyond a reasonable doubt? | 这样难道可以排除合理怀疑吗 |
[31:48] | Add to that, | 不仅如此 |
[31:49] | my client has an alibi. | 我的当事人还有不在场证明 |
[31:51] | Mr. Ronzoni placed him at a bar at the exact time of the crime. | Ronzoni先生证明案发当时 他们正在酒吧 |
[31:58] | Yes, they’re friends. | 没错 他们是朋友 |
[32:01] | but he had a credit receipt, didn’t he? | 但他那张消费小票足以为证 不是吗 |
[32:03] | The DA is going to try to get you to believe the security guard | 检察官想方设法想让你们相信那名保安 |
[32:08] | more than my client’s alibi witness, | 而不相信我的当事人的不在场证明人 |
[32:12] | even if you do, | 即便你们真这样想 |
[32:14] | that is not enough to convict. | 仍然没有充分的证据定罪 |
[32:17] | Remember, | 请记住 |
[32:18] | your verdict here | 你们将要做出的判决 |
[32:20] | isn’t one of those news magazine polls | 不是那些新闻杂志搞的民意调查 |
[32:22] | where you dial a 900 number | 不是只要拨打900电话 |
[32:24] | and give your opinion. | 说出自己的意见就行了 |
[32:25] | You’re here to hold an oath, | 你们此刻应该信守誓言 |
[32:28] | an oath that’s the very essence of our jury system. | 而这个誓言正是我们陪审团制度的本质所在 |
[32:32] | We don’t take away a man’s freedom | 除非检方完成了自己的举证责任 |
[32:35] | unless the state satisfies a burden of proof. | 否则我们不能剥夺任何人的自由 |
[32:40] | They didn’t. | 他们没有做到 |
[32:43] | They didn’t even come close. | 他们还差得太远 |
[32:53] | I don’t know about you, | 我不知道你们怎样想 |
[32:54] | but I was found a little suspicious | 但在辩方律师滔滔不绝 |
[32:56] | when defense lawyer start waxing about old scent. | 想用那些话迷惑大家时 我就有些怀疑 |
[33:01] | Integrity of systems and burdens of proof. | 司法制度的公正性和举证责任 |
[33:04] | That usually means they’re short on facts. | 说这些话通常意味着事实对他们不利 |
[33:08] | Our system isn’t to turn criminals loose. | 我们的司法制度并不是要让罪犯逍遥法外 |
[33:11] | Integrity isn’t relying on | 公正也并不取决于 |
[33:13] | the credit card receipt of a suspect’s buddy. | 嫌疑人好朋友的一张信用卡消费小票 |
[33:16] | Who makes an eleventh hour appearance. | 而且这个好朋友是在最后一刻才出现的 |
[33:19] | Your oath here was to serve justice. | 你们宣誓要在法庭上维护公正 |
[33:23] | We have an eyewitness, | 我们有目击证人 |
[33:25] | an eyewitness who saw | 这位目击证人看到 |
[33:27] | that man with the laser displayers. | 那个人抱着影碟机 |
[33:30] | Come on, | 你们想想 |
[33:32] | I agree that there is more at stake here | 我同意本案虽然是一起简单的盗窃案 |
[33:34] | than a simple burglary. | 但是威胁到更重大的原则 |
[33:37] | I also agree that there is some integrity on the line. | 我也同意有些人的诚实正在经受考验 |
[33:41] | Yours. | 你们的诚实 |
[33:49] | Sorry. | 不好意思 |
[33:50] | How did she do? | 她发挥得怎么样 |
[33:51] | I think pretty well. | 我觉得非常棒 |
[33:53] | Ok, I, I have consulted three lawyers, | 是这样的 我咨询了三个律师 |
[33:55] | all guys I trust, | 这三个人我都很信任 |
[33:56] | all three say settle. | 他们全都建议和解 |
[33:58] | What? | 什么 |
[34:01] | People in this case, | 人们对这个案件的看法 |
[34:02] | let’s call them jurors, | 暂且称他们为陪审员吧 |
[34:03] | aren’t crazy about lawyers to begin with. | 他们本来就不喜欢律师 |
[34:06] | It’s not likely that we’re too sympathetic | 所以如果我们用合理豁免权来抗辩的话 |
[34:07] | to qualified immunity arguments | 我们不太可能博得同情 |
[34:09] | add to that, the facts painting the victim’s own brother… | 还有 指控受害人的亲弟弟… |
[34:12] | Add to that, | 除此之外 |
[34:13] | Tommy Silvia Tommy Silvia? | |
[34:14] | ** jury’s love? | 陪审团的大众情人 |
[34:16] | The consensus is for us to cut our losses and to get out. | 他们一致的意见是 我们应该尽快止损退出 |
[34:20] | What we did in that room is protected. | 我们在法庭上的行为是受保护的 |
[34:23] | And I’m not running from Tommy Silvia, | 我也不怕Tommy Silvia |
[34:25] | We’ve beaten bigger guys than him. | 比他强的人我们都打败过 |
[34:26] | We’ve never been people who run scared, | 我们从来都不是胆小怕事的人 |
[34:28] | I won’t bend over for this. | 我不会就这么屈服的 |
[34:30] | I want to fight. | 我要跟他们硬拼 |
[34:31] | So do I. | 我同意 |
[34:32] | I say settle. | 我觉得应该和解 |
[34:34] | Jimmy Jimmy? | |
[34:36] | I say fight. | 我觉得应该打 |
[34:37] | Of course, I’m not a partner, | 当然了 我不是合伙人 |
[34:39] | I’m not at risk like everybody else. | 我没有其他人那么大的风险 |
[34:42] | including Rebecca, who has not even sworn in yet. | 包括Rebecca 虽然她还没有宣誓 |
[34:44] | I’m just an associate. | 我只是个授薪律师 |
[34:47] | I keep going back to what if we lose, | 我一直考虑的是如果我们输了怎么办 |
[34:50] | it’s not just a case | 这不仅仅是个案那么简单 |
[34:52] | – I dont’t think… – And it’s not just a conference table. | -我不觉得… -也不仅仅是张会议桌的问题 |
[34:54] | This could be our whole practice. | 这牵扯到我们整个事务所 |
[34:57] | Then we start over. | 那我们就从头再来 |
[34:58] | Whatever we do, | 不管我们怎么做 |
[35:00] | it can’t be a decision out of ego. | 我们决不能意气用事 |
[35:01] | I want to fight. | 我要跟他们硬拼 |
[35:03] | We have to fight it. | 我们必须跟他们打下去 |
[35:07] | Ok. | 好吧 |
[35:10] | Jimmy, you’ll first chair. | Jimmy 你来做主办 |
[35:12] | What? | 什么 |
[35:13] | – What? – What? | -什么 -什么 |
[35:14] | Silvia’s style, I’m just a regular guy, | Silvia的风格是 我是个很平凡的人 |
[35:16] | Jimmy is our best guy to counter that. | 要对付他 Jimmy是我们最好的人选 |
[35:18] | He is regular too. | 他也很平凡 |
[35:19] | Yeah, that’s… | 是啊 那… |
[35:21] | Look, no offense, Jimmy, | 无意冒犯 Jimmy |
[35:23] | but we need our best out of best | 但我们需要的是最优秀的人 |
[35:25] | should he be doing it? | 让他来合适吗 |
[35:26] | I mean, he is good, | 我的意思是 他是不错 |
[35:27] | I mean, you’re great, | 我是说 你很棒 |
[35:29] | but we need our… | 但我们需要的是… |
[35:30] | Best. | 最棒的 |
[35:30] | Jimmy will first chair, | Jimmy来做主办 |
[35:33] | I’ll second. | 我协办 |
[35:35] | Anything else? | 还有什么问题吗 |
[35:39] | Ok, back to work. | 好了 都回去工作吧 |
[35:40] | Bobby Bobby, | |
[35:41] | Evelyn Myfield is here with her husband. | Evelyn Myfield和她丈夫来了 |
[35:45] | Who died? | 谁死掉了 |
[35:47] | How long are we gonna wait? | 我们还要等多久 |
[35:51] | Well, they’ll only go for another hour, | 他们今天还会再审议一个小时 |
[35:53] | then suspend till tomorrow. | 然后会暂停 明天再继续 |
[35:56] | You guys got plans or something? | 你们有什么重要的事情吗 |
[36:05] | They’ll offer manslaughter. | 他们同意以非蓄谋杀人达成和解 |
[36:06] | It’s something that we should consider. | 我们应该考虑一下接不接受 |
[36:12] | Surely you’re not suggesting she plead guilty. | 你不会是在建议让她认罪吧 |
[36:15] | What I’m suggesting is they have a medical case | 我的建议是 他们有医学证据表明 |
[36:18] | indicating that the child died almost immediately. | 孩子几乎是当场死亡的 |
[36:21] | That would be tough for us to explain. | 我们很难解释这一点 |
[36:24] | And there is a risk of a murder two conviction | 而且你有可能被判二级谋杀罪名成立 |
[36:26] | that’s twenty years, maybe more. | 意味着20年监禁 或许更长 |
[36:29] | Manslaughter, good behavior, | 非蓄谋杀人 表现良好的话 |
[36:32] | you could be out in three. | 你也许三年就能出来 |
[36:33] | But I didn’t do this. | 但我没有杀人 |
[36:35] | I know this doesn’t sould great, | 我知道这话可能不太中听 |
[36:37] | but whether you did it or not doesn’t really matter. | 但你是否杀人 真的已经无关紧要了 |
[36:41] | Doesn’t matter? | 无关紧要? |
[36:42] | Of course it matters on one level. | 当然 在某个层面上还是很重要 |
[36:44] | In terms of deciding how to proceed it, | 但在决定如何处理案件的时候 |
[36:46] | what I have to weigh | 我需要考虑的是 |
[36:47] | is the prosecution’s chance of convicting you. | 检方定罪的可能性有多大 |
[36:50] | Your innocence is almost, | 至于你是不是无辜的 |
[36:52] | almost irrelevant there. | 几乎与此毫无关系 |
[36:55] | As I said, | 就像我说过的 |
[36:56] | they have a circumstantial case | 他们并没有直接证据 |
[36:58] | but in my opinion, | 但在我看来 |
[37:04] | emotion will be against you. | 人们的情感会对你不利 |
[37:08] | I’m not crazy about rolling the dice, | 我不建议赌陪审团的裁决 |
[37:10] | not with 20 years. | 因为后果可能是20年监禁 |
[37:17] | I didn’t shake that baby. | 我没有摇死那个婴儿 |
[37:20] | And I’m sitting with one of | 现在我身边坐着 |
[37:21] | the best criminal lawyers in the city | 全市最优秀的刑事辩护律师 |
[37:23] | and he is telling me to plead guilty. | 可是他却叫我认罪 |
[37:24] | I’m telling you you could be looking at guilty. | 我说的是 你现在面临被定罪的危险 |
[37:30] | That baby came to me crying. | 那个婴儿来的时候就在哭 |
[37:34] | After about 10 minutes I was finally able to console him. | 大概过了十分钟 我终于把他哄好了 |
[37:40] | I rocked him untill he fell asleep. | 我一直轻摇着他 直到他睡着 |
[37:44] | I put him in his crib. | 我把他放到婴儿床上 |
[37:47] | I came back in about 15 minutes. | 大约15分钟后 我再去看他 |
[37:51] | And he was dead. | 他已经死了 |
[37:56] | If I’m convicted of killing him | 如果陪审团要认定是我杀了他 |
[37:58] | then so be it. | 那就由他们去吧 |
[38:00] | But I didn’t kill him. | 但是我真的没有杀他 |
[38:02] | I know it. | 我自己知道 |
[38:03] | And god knows it. | 上帝也知道 |
[38:05] | And I suspect that that child’s father knows it. | 我想那个孩子的父亲也是知道的 |
[38:08] | And I will not say that I did do it | 我不会为了减少刑期 |
[38:12] | just to get less jail time. | 就说是我杀的 |
[38:23] | Ok. | 好吧 |
[38:27] | Then we go to trial. | 那我们就上庭 |
[38:36] | Will the defendant please rise? | 被告请起立 |
[38:40] | Members of the jury, | 陪审团成员 |
[38:41] | have you reached a verdict? | 你们是否达成了一致的判决 |
[38:42] | We have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[38:44] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[38:46] | In the matter of Commonwealth vs. Russell Thurm, | 马萨诸塞州诉Russell Thurm |
[38:49] | on the charge of breaking and entering at night, | 关于夜间非法入室的指控 |
[38:52] | we find the defendant Russell Thurm, | 我们判决被告Russell Thurm |
[38:55] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[39:00] | The jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court, | 陪审团可以解散了 法庭感谢你们的付出 |
[39:03] | we’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:23] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[39:25] | Yeah. | 不客气 |
[39:34] | – Not guilty. – Really? | -无罪 -真的吗 |
[39:36] | She is on the way to ceremony now, | 她现在已经过去参加宣誓仪式了 |
[39:37] | which, by the way, we better gotta move on. | 所以说 我们得赶紧出发了 |
[39:39] | Jimmy, Bobby, let’s go. | Jimmy Bobby 该走了 |
[39:41] | – Coming. – Hey, we’ve got time. | -来了 -时间还来得及 |
[39:42] | Ms. Washington, W, | Washington 女士 W |
[39:44] | They’ll be calling her at the end. | 要到最后才轮到她 |
[39:45] | We should be there at the beginning. | 我们应该从头到尾都在场 |
[39:47] | Let’s go. | 走吧 |
[39:48] | Hey, Jimmy, you got a sec? | Jimmy 可以跟你说几句话吗 |
[39:53] | I didn’t mean to put you down. | 我不是想看轻你 |
[39:56] | It’s just… this case, so much on the line. | 只是…这个案子 风险太大了 |
[40:00] | Please don’t misunderstand me. | 请你不要误解我的意思 |
[40:04] | I understand you perfect. | 我完全明白你的意思 |
[40:16] | Can you believe she is about to be swore in? | 你能相信吗 她就要宣誓入职了 |
[40:20] | Hey, you think I should go to law school? | 对了 你们觉得我是不是也该去读读法学院 |
[40:21] | – No. -No. | -不用 -不用 |
[40:25] | Chinaring, I like that, | 悬铃木香 我喜欢 |
[40:26] | Helen wears that. | Helen就擦这种香水 |
[40:27] | I’m not wearing chinaring | 我没用悬铃木香水 |
[40:31] | I wear slovakian snow. | 我用的是斯洛伐克之雪 |
[40:36] | We hugged a little. | 我们俩小抱了一下 |
[40:41] | Please rise. | 请全体起立 |
[40:45] | Rise your right hand and repeat after me. | 举起你们的右手 跟我宣誓 |
[40:48] | I, your name, | 我 你的名字 |
[40:50] | solemnly swear that I will do no falsehood. | 庄严宣誓 在法庭上 我绝不作假 |
[40:53] | I, Rebecca Washington, | 我 Rebecca Washington |
[40:55] | solemnly swear that I will do no falsehood. | 庄严宣誓 在法庭上 我绝不作假 |
[41:00] | nor consent to the doing of any in court; | 也绝不放任他人作假 |
[41:03] | nor consent to the doing of any in court; | 也绝不放任他人作假 |
[41:07] | I will not wittingly or willingly promote or sue | 我绝不会故意或自发地 促使或提起 |
[41:11] | any false, groundless,or unlawful suit, | 任何虚假的 缺乏事实依据的 或非法的诉讼 |
[41:15] | I will not wittingly or willingly promote or sue | 我绝不会故意或自发地 促使或提起 |
[41:20] | any false, groundless,or unlawful suit, | 任何虚假的 缺乏事实依据的 或非法的诉讼 |
[41:24] | I will conduct myself in the office of attorney within the courts. | 我愿尽己所能和判断力所及 |
[41:29] | I will conduct myself in the office of attorney within the courts. | 我愿尽己所能和判断力所及 |
[41:35] | according to the best of my knowledge and discretion | 诚实履行自己作为律师的职责 |
[41:38] | according to the best of my knowledge and discretion | 诚实履行自己作为律师的职责 |
[41:43] | And with all fidelity as well to the courts as my clients; | 尽职尽责 忠于法院和我的当事人 |
[41:48] | And with all fidelity as well to the courts as my clients; | 尽职尽责 忠于法院和我的当事人 |
[41:53] | So help me God. | 愿上帝保佑我 |
[41:55] | So help me God. | 愿上帝保佑我 |
[41:58] | Congratulations. | 祝贺各位 |
[42:00] | You’re all officially members of the BAR. | 你们已经正式成为律师协会的一员 |