| 时间 | 英文 | 中文 | 
|---|---|---|
| [00:02] | You remember Ms. Mayfield is charged | 大家还记得 Mayfield太太被指控 | 
| [00:03] | with shaking to death an eleven-month-old child | 将一名交给她照料的十一个月大的婴儿 | 
| [00:06] | that was entrusted to her care. | 剧烈摇晃致死 | 
| [00:08] | I think she is innocent | 我觉得她是无辜的 | 
| [00:09] | The psychiatist thinks you could be in denial. | 心理医生认为你可能是在逃避现实 | 
| [00:13] | What? | 什么 | 
| [00:14] | He makes room for the possibilty that | 他觉得有可能 | 
| [00:15] | you don’t even have a memory of it, | 你自己根本不记得你做过的事了 | 
| [00:17] | that’s why you passed the polygraph. | 所以你才能通过测谎仪的测试 | 
| [00:18] | You know the father of the victim? | 你认识受害者的父亲吗 | 
| [00:20] | he is in the congregation. | 他在我们教区 | 
| [00:21] | You think he could have done this? | 你觉得有没有可能是他干的 | 
| [00:22] | Don’t you think we’d like it to be the father? | 你以为我们不想把他父亲作为嫌疑犯吗 | 
| [00:24] | History of abuse, tendency towards voilence, | 吸毒史 暴力倾向 | 
| [00:27] | But the doctors tell us the death was immediate. | 但是医生告诉我们死亡是当场发生的 | 
| [00:30] | Evelyn Mayfield was the only one there. | Evelyn Mayfield是唯一在场的人 | 
| [00:32] | I’ll give you manslaughter. | 我可以接受非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [00:33] | I didn’t kill him. | 我没有杀他 | 
| [00:34] | And I will not say that I did do it | 我不会为了少坐几年牢 | 
| [00:37] | jus to get less jail time. | 就承认说是我杀的 | 
| [00:39] | Then we go to trial. | 那我们就上庭吧 | 
| [00:41] | Boyfriend lives alone | 她男友一个人住 | 
| [00:42] | brother, big house | 弟弟 住在大房子里 | 
| [00:44] | why not plan B them? | 为什么不用”B计划” | 
| [00:45] | It might be worth a try. | 也许值得一试 | 
| [00:46] | Give them a soft plan B. | 给他们一个温和点的”B计划” | 
| [00:47] | Did you murder you sister | 你有没有杀害你姐姐 | 
| [00:48] | and frame George Vogelman? | 然后栽赃给George Vogelman | 
| [00:49] | -What? -Objection. | -什么 -反对 | 
| [00:50] | Did you follow her to the bar then go to the motel? | 你有没有跟踪她到酒吧 然后再到旅馆 | 
| [00:52] | That’s sick. | 你太恶心了 | 
| [00:53] | I represent Steve Robin and his dad. | 我现在代理Steve Robin和他的爸爸 | 
| [00:55] | Steve Robin? Steve Robin? | |
| [00:56] | brother of the victim in your Vogelman trial, | 你们的Vogelman案中受害者的弟弟 | 
| [00:58] | Eugene accused him of being the killer. | Eugene指责他是杀人凶手 | 
| [01:00] | We’re suing you. | 我们正式起诉你们了 | 
| [01:01] | I can paint a pretty disgusting picture of you guys | 我可以在陪审团面前 | 
| [01:04] | in front of a jury. | 把你们描绘得面目可憎 | 
| [01:05] | Team plan B? | “团队B计划”是吧 | 
| [01:07] | Ok, I, I have consulted three lawyers, | 是这样的 我 我咨询了三个律师 | 
| [01:09] | all three say settle. | 三个都建议和解 | 
| [01:10] | I want to fight. | 我要跟他们打到底 | 
| [01:11] | So do I. | 我同意 | 
| [01:12] | Ok. Jimmy, you’ll first chair. | 好的 Jimmy 你来做主办 | 
| [01:14] | What? | 什么 | 
| [01:15] | -What? -What? | -什么 -什么 | 
| [01:15] | Look, no offense, Jimmy, | 我无意冒犯 Jimmy | 
| [01:16] | but should he be doing it? | 可是让他来合适吗 | 
| [01:18] | I mean, he is good, | 我知道 他还不错 | 
| [01:19] | I mean, you’re great, | 我知道 你非常棒 | 
| [01:20] | but we need our… | 但是我们需要我们… | 
| [01:21] | Best. | 最好的 | 
| [01:24] | ♪You better watch out♪ | 歌曲:Santa Claus Is Coming | 
| [01:44] | What’s this? | 这是干什么 | 
| [01:46] | Oh | 哦 | 
| [01:49] | It’s Christmas! | 圣诞节啊 | 
| [01:50] | Surely, you’ve heard of it. | 当然 你知道的 | 
| [01:53] | Well, it’s… | 呃 现在… | 
| [01:55] | It’s the first week of December… | 现在才12月的第一个星期 | 
| [01:57] | The people who don’t like Christmas | 那些不喜欢圣诞节的人 | 
| [01:58] | are the people who get behind in their shopping. | 就是那些在购物上落伍的人 | 
| [02:00] | And the reason they get behind | 而他们落伍的原因 | 
| [02:02] | is because it sneaks up on them. | 则是圣诞节不知不觉就来了 | 
| [02:03] | It’s not sneaking up in this office. | 这种事不会发生在我们身上 | 
| [02:05] | Not under my watch. | 因为有我在 | 
| [02:08] | What’s that on your head? | 你头上是什么 | 
| [02:09] | Oh, it’s mistletoe. | 哦 是檞寄生 | 
| [02:12] | My friend Elaine invented this thingy. | 我的朋友Elaine做了这个东东 | 
| [02:14] | It’s cute, huh? | 很可爱 不是么 | 
| [02:15] | Yeah. | 是啊 | 
| [02:17] | It’s eleven o’clock. | 现在都11点了 | 
| [02:18] | Why are you here? | 你怎么会在这里 | 
| [02:20] | Ah, couldn’t sleep. | 呃 睡不着 | 
| [02:22] | Mayfield trial? | Mayfield的案子? | 
| [02:23] | Might as well work if I’m awake. | 反正也睡不着 不如来工作 | 
| [02:25] | Do you think you have any chance? | 你认为你有机会赢么 | 
| [02:27] | I mean, the baby died in her hands. | 我是说 毕竟那个婴儿死在她的手上 | 
| [02:29] | Why are you convinced she’s guilty? | 为什么你们都坚信她是有罪的 | 
| [02:31] | She just gives me the Heebie-jeebies. | 我觉得她有点怪怪的 | 
| [02:33] | You really think she’s innocent? | 你真的认为她是无辜的? | 
| [02:34] | Yeah. | 是的 | 
| [02:36] | Remember, she did pass the lie detector. | 别忘了 她通过了测谎仪测试 | 
| [02:40] | Well, pleadings are all packed. | 辩护状都装好了 | 
| [02:42] | Anything else you need? | 还有什么要做的吗 | 
| [02:43] | I’m about to go. | 我要走了 | 
| [02:44] | Nah, I’m all set, thanks. | 没有 我都准备好了 谢谢 | 
| [02:46] | And thanks for ah, | 还有 谢谢你 呃 | 
| [02:47] | decorating the place. | 费心装扮办公室 | 
| [02:49] | It looks great. | 搞得非常漂亮 | 
| [02:51] | Well, Christmas should be Christmas. | 圣诞节就该有圣诞节的样子 | 
| [02:55] | Merry Christmas. | 圣诞快乐 | 
| [03:02] | Christmas should be Christmas, | 圣诞节就该有圣诞节的样子 | 
| [03:04] | and a kiss should be a kiss. | 接吻也该有接吻的样子 | 
| [03:07] | Good mistletoe. Night. | 不错的檞寄生 晚安 | 
| [03:59] | How can you not move for summary judgement? | 你怎么能够不申请即决判决呢 | 
| [03:59] | 对于不涉及事实争议的案件 法官直接依据法律做出判决 无需陪审团 | |
| [04:01] | Cause it won’t fly, and if… | 因为法官不会支持 而且如果… | 
| [04:02] | But still, you gotta try | 即便如此 但是这个案子风险这么大 | 
| [04:03] | with the stakes so high. | 你至少得试一下 | 
| [04:04] | It’d be just like our motion to dismiss, | 就像我们前面要求驳回起诉的动议一样 | 
| [04:06] | Eugene. The judge said | Eugene 法官已经说了 | 
| [04:07] | this thing would turn on the facts. | 案件的结果取决于事实问题 | 
| [04:08] | But what about preserving appeal? | 但是至少可以保留上诉的理由啊 | 
| [04:10] | If this were gonna turn on law | 如果这个案子只涉及法律争议 | 
| [04:11] | he would’ve kicked it. | 法官早就把它驳回了 | 
| [04:12] | If we push for summary judgment, | 如果我们一定要申请即决审判 | 
| [04:14] | it’s gonna look like Footdragon. | 会显得我们胡搅蛮缠 | 
| [04:15] | Judge Papp holds grudges, | Papp法官最恨这个了 | 
| [04:17] | he lets the jury see him. | 而且他会把情绪传达给陪审图 | 
| [04:18] | We do not want an unfriendly judge in this trial. | 我们不希望在审判中碰到一个不友好的法官 | 
| [04:21] | Let’s calm down, | 请大家稍安勿躁 | 
| [04:22] | nobody’s talking Christmassy. | 竟然没人讨论圣诞节 | 
| [04:28] | Every time we break, every recess | 每次我们休息 每一次休庭 | 
| [04:30] | I want you to go to her. Embrace her | 我要你走到她身边 拥抱她 | 
| [04:31] | I want the jury reminded every chance we get | 我要抓住每一个机会 让陪审团意识到 | 
| [04:33] | that you believe in her. | 你完全相信她 | 
| [04:34] | Absolutely. | 没问题 | 
| [04:35] | You doing okay? | 你还好吧 | 
| [04:38] | Believe or not, I am. | 也许你不信 我真的很好 | 
| [04:40] | -I’m in God’s hands now. -Evelyn | -我现在在上帝的手中 -Evelyn | 
| [04:45] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [04:47] | All I’m saying | 我要说的是 | 
| [04:47] | is you’re not in God’s hands on this, | 在这个案子上 你不是在上帝的手中 | 
| [04:49] | you’re in the jury’s, | 你在陪审团的手中 | 
| [04:50] | and I don’t want you to come across as a zealot. | 我不希望陪审团把你当成一个宗教狂热者 | 
| [04:53] | I get it, Bobby. | 我知道了 bobby | 
| [04:55] | Good.Okay, Let’s go. | 很好 我们走吧 | 
| [04:56] | we’ve got a cab waiting downstairs, it’s cold. | 我们叫了出租车在楼下等 外面很冷 | 
| [05:02] | Good luck. | 好运 | 
| [05:03] | Thanks. | 谢谢 | 
| [05:04] | Bobby, I know that you think Jimmy matches up | Bobby 我知道你认为jimmy | 
| [05:06] | best against Silva, but… | 是对付silva的最佳人选 但是 | 
| [05:07] | I heard that. | 我听到了 | 
| [05:08] | What? | 什么 | 
| [05:09] | Whatever you were saying behind my back. | 不论你们在我背后说什么 | 
| [05:11] | Listen, I gotta get to court, | 我现在得赶去开庭 | 
| [05:12] | We’ll talk about this later. | 我们稍后再讨论这个问题 | 
| [05:15] | You think I can’t do this, Eugene? | 你觉得我处理不来这个案子吗 Eugene | 
| [05:16] | I know you can do it. | 我知道你能处理 | 
| [05:17] | Bobby Bobby Bobby, Bobby. | |
| [05:19] | Two things. | 两件事 | 
| [05:21] | One, good luck. | 第一 祝你好运 | 
| [05:23] | Two, I’m sorry if I embarrassed you. | 第二 如果我使你难堪了 我给你道歉 | 
| [05:25] | I didn’t mean to. | 我不是故意的 | 
| [05:27] | But, | 但是 | 
| [05:28] | it was an awesome kiss. | 那确实是一个美妙无比的吻 | 
| [05:31] | Not that I have any designs, | 我并没有其他的想法 | 
| [05:32] | but if your lousy personal life | 但是如果你糟糕的个人生活 | 
| [05:34] | comes from any insecurity, | 源自于任何的自卑感 | 
| [05:36] | you should know that 90% of women | 你应该知道90%的女人 | 
| [05:38] | are looking for a cute guy, | 渴望的是一个风趣的男人 | 
| [05:39] | with a steady job, | 有一份稳定的工作 | 
| [05:41] | who can kiss. | 会接吻 | 
| [05:42] | You’re three for three! | 你三样都占全了 | 
| [05:45] | Trial. | 去开庭吧 | 
| [05:45] | Don’t be late. | 不要迟到了 | 
| [05:53] | Michael Michael! | |
| [05:57] | And you. | 你也来了 | 
| [05:58] | They suspended him from school! | 学校把他给开除了 | 
| [06:00] | For what? | 为什么 | 
| [06:01] | For passing a few notes! | 因为传了些纸条 | 
| [06:02] | It’s the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of, | 这是我听说过的最为荒谬的事 | 
| [06:05] | and I want to take them to court. | 我要将他们告上法庭 | 
| [06:07] | In here. | 到这边来 | 
| [06:08] | And don’t you be swatting him. | 你不可以再打他 | 
| [06:09] | I’m not going to swat him. | 谁要打他了 | 
| [06:11] | You just keep the blinds open | 你把百叶窗给我拉开 | 
| [06:12] | -because I don’t trust you. -You know, you don’t have to come here, | -因为我不信任你 -你没必要非找我不可 | 
| [06:13] | you could go to any other lawyer | 你可以去请其他任何律师 | 
| [06:14] | I came here for some civilised lawyering. | 我来这里是为了找一个文明的律师 | 
| [06:19] | In here, Michael. | 来这边 Michael | 
| [06:23] | You can come. | 你可以进来 | 
| [06:28] | Sexual harassment? | 性骚扰? | 
| [06:30] | Yes. A few notes in the back of the classroom | 是的 就因为在教室后面传了些纸条 | 
| [06:33] | and they bounce him. | 然后他们就开除了他 | 
| [06:34] | Well, what was in these notes? | 那么 这些纸条上是些什么内容 | 
| [06:36] | Not much, just… | 没什么 只是些… | 
| [06:37] | He’s got a crush on this girl, Kitty Nelson. | 他喜欢上了这个女孩 Kitty Nelson | 
| [06:40] | You know, she finds one of these notes, | 她发现了这些纸条 | 
| [06:42] | she takes it home to her mental mother, | 她将它带回家 交给她那个精神病妈妈 | 
| [06:44] | her mother makes a complaint, | 她妈妈向学校投诉 | 
| [06:46] | and they bounce him. | 然后他们就开除了他 | 
| [06:47] | What? | 什么 | 
| [06:48] | What was in the notes? | 这些纸条写了些什么 | 
| [06:49] | Just stuff. | 只是些无聊的东西 | 
| [06:51] | What just stuff? | 什么无聊的东西 | 
| [06:52] | You know, nice ass and stuff. | 就是 性感的屁股什么的 | 
| [06:55] | Nothing bad. | 没什么大不了的 | 
| [07:00] | The autopsy was conclusive. | 尸检的结论很清楚 | 
| [07:03] | Yes, it showed Kevin Barlow | 是的 导致Kevin Barlow死亡的损伤 | 
| [07:04] | died from injuries consistent | 与”婴儿摇晃综合症” | 
| [07:06] | with ‘shaken baby’ syndrome. | 在临床表现上一致 | 
| [07:09] | Doctor, is it possible that | 医生 是否存在这么一种可能 | 
| [07:10] | these injuries could’ve been caused by an accident? | 这些损伤是因为意外而造成的? | 
| [07:14] | No, there was extreme haemorrhaging | 不可能 因为在他的双侧眼前房 | 
| [07:16] | in the bilateral anterior chamber, | 都有极其严重的出血 | 
| [07:19] | and also retinal haemorrhaging. | 同时还有视网膜出血 | 
| [07:21] | Which means…? | 这意味着… | 
| [07:22] | It was not an accident. | 这肯定不是意外 | 
| [07:24] | The degree of force had to be severe. | 因为摇晃的力度必须是非常大的 | 
| [07:27] | What about some other medical condition? | 那么是否有可能是其它病因所导致 | 
| [07:29] | Well, nothing in his prior medical records | 不会 不论是根据他之前的病历 | 
| [07:31] | or my examination | 还是我对他做的体检 | 
| [07:32] | revealed any other cause for these symptoms. | 都没有发现有其他原因造成这些症状 | 
| [07:34] | Is it possible to tell when the shaking occurred? | 是否可能知道摇晃发生在什么时候 | 
| [07:38] | Well, based on the acute conditions present, | 基于刚才介绍的这些急性的症状 | 
| [07:41] | Kevin’s death would’ve been almost immediate. | Kevin的死亡几乎是当场发生的 | 
| [07:46] | Now you found a contusion | 你在Kevin Barlow的前额 | 
| [07:47] | on Kevin Barlow’s forehead, didn’t you? | 发现了一处瘀伤 是么 | 
| [07:49] | Yes, but that… | 是的 但是… | 
| [07:51] | Which was about ten days old? | 这处瘀伤是十天前发生的? | 
| [07:53] | That injury was not life threatening, | 这处瘀伤并不会导致生命危险 | 
| [07:55] | and was in fact healing when he died. | 而且他死的时候 实际上已经痊愈了 | 
| [07:57] | Isn’t it true that a prior head injury | 头部的陈旧伤可能会导致 | 
| [07:59] | could begin to bleed spontaneously in the brain? | 大脑无知觉地出血 不是吗 | 
| [08:02] | Yes, but in this case | 是的 但是在这个病例上 | 
| [08:04] | that wouldn’t explain the extent of the injuries. | 没法解释这些损伤范围之广 | 
| [08:06] | Well, isn’t it also possible | 难道不是还有另外一种可能 | 
| [08:07] | that something could’ve happened to Kevin, | 就是在他被送到Evelyn Myfield家中之前 | 
| [08:09] | just prior to being dropped off at Evelyn Mayfield’s house? | Kevin已经受到了这些损伤? | 
| [08:12] | The likelihood of that is so negligible that… | 这种可能性可以忽略不计 以至于… | 
| [08:14] | Is it possible? | 有这个可能性吗 | 
| [08:16] | I suppose anything’s possible, but… | 我想任何事都有可能 但是… | 
| [08:18] | Thank you, Doctor. | 谢谢 医生 | 
| [08:19] | You answered the question. | 你已经回答了我的问题 | 
| [08:24] | How possible? | 可能性有多大 | 
| [08:25] | Minuscule. | 微不足道 | 
| [08:27] | The symptoms here suggest an immediate death, | 他身上的症状显示死亡是当场发生的 | 
| [08:30] | not one that occurred hours later. | 而不是受伤之后几个小时 | 
| [08:32] | Thank you. | 谢谢 | 
| [08:33] | But your findings don’t conclusively | 但是你的调查结果并没有明确地排除 | 
| [08:35] | exclude the boy dying hours later? | 小男孩死于受伤几个小时之后吧 | 
| [08:39] | We can’t positively exclude it, no. | 是的 我们不能明确地排除这一点 | 
| [08:41] | Thank you, Doctor. | 谢谢 医生 | 
| [08:47] | We have been sitting here over an hour, Rebecca. | Rebecca 我们已经在这里坐了一个多小时了 | 
| [08:50] | You haven’t given me anything. | 你却不给我任何答复 | 
| [08:52] | I said that I will talk to the principal. | 我说过我将会和校长谈谈 | 
| [08:55] | But I have to tell you | 但是我不得不告诉你 | 
| [08:56] | school’s are big on sexual harassment policies | 在性骚扰的问题上 学校非常重视 | 
| [08:58] | Big because all these rat lawyers | 非常重视 都是因为这些讨厌的律师们 | 
| [09:00] | got them running scared of getting sued. | 学校害怕被律师们告 | 
| [09:02] | It is a big, cover-your-ass disgrace. | 所以他们就采取这种推卸责任的做法 | 
| [09:04] | Yes, I’ll stick that argument | 是的 我会牢记你的这段话 | 
| [09:06] | in a foot note and not lead with it. | 我不会在诉讼的时候拿出来说 | 
| [09:08] | But that does give me an idea | 但是我总算是明白了 | 
| [09:10] | as to how the word ass slipped into his vocabulary. | 他是从哪里学来的”ass”这个词 | 
| [09:13] | You be the lawyer, all right? | 你是他的律师 搞清楚 | 
| [09:15] | Not the mother. | 不是他的妈妈 | 
| [09:15] | Why are you two always fighting? | 为什么你们两个总是要吵架 | 
| [09:17] | I am not fighting. | 我没有吵架 | 
| [09:18] | You watch your mouth, | 管好你的嘴巴 | 
| [09:19] | all right, Michael? | 明白吗 Michael | 
| [09:20] | You talk with some respect. | 你说话放尊敬点 | 
| [09:21] | Plus which she might hit you. | 何况 小心她扁你 | 
| [09:23] | Hey. | 嘿 | 
| [09:24] | One more word like that | 再说一句那样的话 | 
| [09:25] | and you can get yourself another rat. | 你就去另外找其他讨厌的律师去 | 
| [09:27] | Are we clear? | 明白了吗 | 
| [09:31] | We’re not all opthamologists, Doctor. | 医生 我们都不是眼科医生 | 
| [09:33] | Would you explain retinal haemorrhaging? | 你能解释一下什么是视网膜出血么 | 
| [09:35] | That’s when blood vessels leak into the eye. | 这是血管破裂渗血到眼球里 | 
| [09:38] | But here, | 但是本案中 | 
| [09:38] | there were also retinal folds, | 还有视网膜重叠的症状 | 
| [09:40] | where the retinas were essentially folded over, | 也就是视网膜基本上折叠过来了 | 
| [09:43] | almost like contact lenses. | 几乎就像隐形眼睛一样 | 
| [09:45] | These are both indicators | 这两个症状都显示 | 
| [09:46] | that a child has been forcibly shaken. | 这个小孩被剧烈地摇晃过 | 
| [09:49] | Now, would an individual suffering from retinal folds | 那么 当某个人出现这种视网膜折叠的症状 | 
| [09:52] | be able to focus their eyes, | 他还能够注视某个物体吗 | 
| [09:54] | or respond to visual cues? | 还能够对视觉信号做出反应吗 | 
| [09:56] | Absolutely not. | 肯定不能 | 
| [09:58] | So then I asked Evelyn Mayfield | 于是 我就问Evelyn Mayfield | 
| [10:00] | if the baby’s eyes were tracking | 当婴儿交给她的时候 | 
| [10:01] | when he came to her, | 他的眼睛是否能够”跟踪”她 | 
| [10:03] | she said yes. | 她说可以 | 
| [10:03] | Which means what? | 这意味着什么呢 | 
| [10:05] | Which means either she was lying, | 这意味着要么她是在说谎 | 
| [10:07] | or she killed him. | 要么就是她杀了他 | 
| [10:08] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [10:09] | Sustained. | 反对有效 | 
| [10:10] | You didn’t believe her? | 你不相信她? | 
| [10:11] | If the baby had been shaken before he came to her house, | 如果婴儿是在到达她家之前就被摇晃过 | 
| [10:14] | according to the doctors, | 根据医生们的证词 | 
| [10:15] | it would have been impossible for him | 那么他就不可能像她说的那样 | 
| [10:16] | to track with eyes like she said. | 用眼睛”跟踪”她 | 
| [10:18] | If she really did see them track, | 如果她确实看到他的眼睛能”跟踪” | 
| [10:20] | he was shaken after he got there. | 那他就是在到达后被摇晃的 | 
| [10:24] | Detective, when you use the word tracking, | 警官 当你用到”跟踪”这个词的时候 | 
| [10:26] | what do you mean? | 你的意思是什么 | 
| [10:27] | It means whether or not someone’s eyes | 我的意思是 一个人的眼睛是否能够 | 
| [10:29] | could follow a visual cue,moving back and forth. | 跟随一个前后移动的视觉信号 | 
| [10:32] | I see. | 我明白了 | 
| [10:32] | Did you explain tracking to Evelyn Mayfield | 当你询问Evelyn Mayfield的时候 | 
| [10:34] | when you questioned her? | 你向她解释过”跟踪”这个词么 | 
| [10:36] | Did I explain it? | 我向她解释过没有 | 
| [10:36] | Yes. Did you explain the term? | 是的 你向她解释过这个词没有 | 
| [10:39] | I don’t think I did, no. | 我想我没有 没有 | 
| [10:41] | In fact, you didn’t know if Evelyn | 事实上 在你询问Evelyn的时候 | 
| [10:42] | was even familiar with that term | 你根本不知道 | 
| [10:44] | at the time you questioned her, did you? | 她是否理解这个词的含义 是不是 | 
| [10:45] | In her statement, | 在她的陈述里 | 
| [10:46] | she said the baby’s eyes were tracking. | 她说婴儿的眼睛是在跟踪的 | 
| [10:49] | She said it. | 这是她说的 | 
| [10:49] | I assumed she understood the meaning. | 我认为她是理解这个词的含义的 | 
| [10:51] | Yes. She used the word tracking. | 是的 她用了”跟踪”这个词 | 
| [10:53] | But that doesn’t mean | 但是这不代表 | 
| [10:55] | she meant responsive to visual cues. | 她的意思就是对视觉信号做出反应 | 
| [10:57] | Then what did she mean? | 那么你说她是什么意思 | 
| [10:58] | We don’t know, do we? | 我们都不知道 不是么 | 
| [10:59] | Maybe just that they were open. | 也许 只是说他睁着眼睛 | 
| [11:01] | Move to strike. | 请求不予记录 | 
| [11:02] | She’s testifying. | 她自己在作证 | 
| [11:06] | She’s testifying, | 她自己在作证 | 
| [11:07] | she’s testifying. | 她自己在作证 | 
| [11:08] | Aunty Em, come back. | Em婶婶 快回来 【《绿野仙踪》里的角色】 | 
| [11:11] | You sound like the wicked witch | 当你反对的时候 | 
| [11:12] | of the west when you object. | 你听起来就像西方的邪恶女巫 【《绿野仙踪》里的角色】 | 
| [11:14] | And you’re Glenda. | 那你就是格林达 【《绿野仙踪》里的角色 北方的善良女巫】 | 
| [11:16] | Did she understand tracking? | 她理解”跟踪”是什么意思吗 | 
| [11:19] | Oh yeah? | 是么 | 
| [11:26] | Stop it! | 住手 | 
| [11:27] | No. | 偏不 | 
| [11:28] | Stop it! | 住手 | 
| [11:30] | Okay, put down the can. | 行了 把瓶子放下 | 
| [11:31] | Put down the can. | 把瓶子放下 | 
| [11:33] | Put it down. | 放下 | 
| [11:34] | Okay. You | 行了 你… | 
| [11:36] | never should have put the can down! | 无论如何都不应该放下瓶子 | 
| [11:48] | Bobby Bobby | |
| [11:50] | Mmm, it’s good. | 嗯 好吃 | 
| [11:51] | What is going on? | 你们在干嘛 | 
| [11:52] | What? We do this every night. | 怎么 这是我们每天晚上的例行节目 | 
| [11:55] | What are you doing here? | 你来这里干嘛 | 
| [11:56] | Well, you weren’t picking up | 我打你电话 你没接 | 
| [11:57] | and I need to talk to you about something | 我需要跟你谈谈 | 
| [11:59] | Is it dessert? | 谈甜点吗 | 
| [12:01] | Coz we’re ready! | 我们可准备好了 | 
| [12:03] | In my room. | 去我的房间吧 | 
| [12:09] | What’s the matter? | 什么事啊 | 
| [12:10] | The kid’s father. | 那个小孩的父亲 | 
| [12:12] | He goes up tomorrow. | 他明天会出庭作证 | 
| [12:13] | Yeah, so? | 是啊 怎么了 | 
| [12:14] | How important do you think it is | 你觉得我们把矛头指向他 | 
| [12:15] | that we go after him? | 对案件的结果有多大影响 | 
| [12:17] | Like maybe he killed his son? | 比方说可能是他杀了他的儿子 | 
| [12:20] | How important? | 有多大影响 | 
| [12:22] | Hello, that’s our whole theory. | 拜托 这是我们唯一的辩护理由 | 
| [12:24] | Lindsay, next week we go on trial for | Lindsay 下周我们出庭的案子 | 
| [12:26] | accusing the Robin kid of killing his sister. | 就是因为我们指控Robin杀了他的姐姐 | 
| [12:29] | Now, if we Plan B | 在这个案子上 | 
| [12:30] | the father tomorrow on this case, | 如果我们明天又对小孩的父亲使用”B计划” | 
| [12:31] | guaranteed Tommy Silva | 我保证 Tommy Silva | 
| [12:33] | will be making a big meal out of it. | 到时候会在这上面大做文章 | 
| [12:35] | Think of how it would look! | 想想会对我们多么不利 | 
| [12:37] | We scream that a brother killed his sister | 我们指控弟弟杀死了他的姐姐 | 
| [12:39] | and now a father killed his son? | 现在又指控父亲杀死了他的儿子 | 
| [12:40] | They’re two different cases | 这两个案子是各自独立的 | 
| [12:41] | Even so | 话虽如此 | 
| [12:43] | Look, we can’t get out of Evelyn’s trial now, | 我们现在已经不可能退出Evelyn的案子 | 
| [12:44] | we’ve already started, | 我们已经上了这条船 | 
| [12:45] | and we can’t not go after the father, | 而且我们必须得指控孩子的父亲 | 
| [12:47] | that’s our defence. | 这是我们仅有的辩护理由 | 
| [12:47] | The only choice here | 现在唯一的选择就是 | 
| [12:49] | is to settle the Robin lawsuit, | 把Robin的案子和解了 | 
| [12:51] | which is what I’ve been saying all along. | 这也是一直以来我所坚持的 | 
| [12:52] | And beyond that | 而且 除此之外 | 
| [12:55] | Jimmy Jimmy. | |
| [12:57] | He’s a good lawyer. | 他是个好律师 | 
| [12:59] | But I think | 但是我觉得 | 
| [13:01] | everybody’s having a hard time | 你把决定事务所生死存亡的案子交给他 | 
| [13:02] | with you putting our survival into his hands. | 我们所有人都很难接受 | 
| [13:04] | Ellenor and Eugene can’t do it, | 可是Ellenor和Eugene没法接手 | 
| [13:06] | they’re involved. | 他们是当事人 | 
| [13:06] | Then get outside counsel, | 那就找外部的律师 | 
| [13:08] | or go with you and me. | 或者 我们俩来做 | 
| [13:09] | But not Jimmy. | 但是Jimmy不行 | 
| [13:19] | You know, Lindsay, | Lindsay 你还记得 | 
| [13:19] | about a month or so ago, | 大约一个月之前 | 
| [13:22] | we exchanged a kiss | 我们接吻了 | 
| [13:23] | and we never even talked about it. | 然而之后我们却从没有谈起过 | 
| [13:26] | It was in the middle of the Pearson trial. | 当时Pearson的案子正在诉讼当中 | 
| [13:31] | Should we talk about it? | 我们是不是该谈谈 | 
| [13:36] | Why are you bringing it up now, | 你为什么现在要提这个 | 
| [13:38] | when we’re in the middle of another trial? | 我们的案子现在正在紧要关头 | 
| [13:39] | I don’t know, it’s just… | 我不知道 只是… | 
| [13:42] | It’s not something you wanna discuss? | 你不想谈这个话题吗 | 
| [13:45] | Not right now, no. | 不 现在还不想 | 
| [13:49] | Okay. | 好吧 | 
| [13:56] | I’ll see you tomorrow. | 那就明天见 | 
| [13:57] | Okay. | 明天见 | 
| [14:09] | I dropped my son off at Evelyn Mayfield’s house | 那天在去办公室的路上 | 
| [14:11] | that day on my way to the office. | 我顺便将我儿子送到Evelyn Mayfield家里 | 
| [14:13] | That was our routine. | 这是我们的惯例 | 
| [14:14] | What time did you drop him off? | 你什么时候把你儿子送到的 | 
| [14:16] | It was around 8:30 in the morning. | 早上八点半左右 | 
| [14:18] | About an hour and a half later, | 大概一个半小时之后 | 
| [14:20] | I got a phone call from the hospital, | 我接到医院打来的电话 | 
| [14:22] | saying that Kevin was… | 说Kevin已经… | 
| [14:24] | that my son, | 说我儿子 | 
| [14:26] | was dead. | 死了 | 
| [14:29] | Sir, the defendant claims your son | 先生 被告说当你将你儿子交给她的时候 | 
| [14:31] | was crying when you delivered him to her. | 你儿子一直在哭 | 
| [14:34] | He was hungry. | 他饿了 | 
| [14:35] | But he wasn’t upset or… | 并不是因为他不舒服 也不是… | 
| [14:36] | Physically, he was okay? | 他身体健康状况良好吧 | 
| [14:38] | He was fine. | 他很好 | 
| [14:41] | From the time you left your house that day | 那天从你离开你家开始 | 
| [14:43] | and arrived at Evelyn Mayfield’s, | 到你抵达Evelyn Mayfield家 | 
| [14:45] | you and Kevin were alone together. | 你和Kevin一直在一起 | 
| [14:47] | Is that correct? | 对吗 | 
| [14:48] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [14:49] | There were no witnesses, | 没有任何目击者 | 
| [14:50] | no one else present during the twenty minutes | 在你到达Evelyn家之前的二十分钟 | 
| [14:52] | before you arrived at Evelyn’s? | 没有其他人看到过你们么 | 
| [14:54] | Witnesses to what? | 看到我做什么 | 
| [14:55] | Me behind the wheel | 看到我坐在方向盘后面 | 
| [14:56] | and Kevin in the child seat in back? | Kevin坐在后面的婴儿椅上? | 
| [14:57] | Well, when you arrived at Evelyn’s that particular morning, | 那么 当你在那天早上到达Evelyn家的时候 | 
| [15:02] | Kevin was crying uncontrollably. | Kevin一直在嚎啕大哭 | 
| [15:04] | He was not crying uncontrollably, counsel. | 他没有嚎啕大哭 律师 | 
| [15:07] | He was just crying. | 他只是在哭 | 
| [15:08] | Why was he crying? | 他为什么要哭 | 
| [15:09] | He was probably hungry. | 他可能是饿了 | 
| [15:12] | There was a contusion on Kevin’s forehead. | 在Kevin的前额上 有一处瘀伤 | 
| [15:14] | You know anything about that? | 你知道这是怎么来的么 | 
| [15:15] | He hit his head on a coffee table. | 他在咖啡桌上把头碰了 | 
| [15:24] | You didn’t hit your son, Mr Barlow? | Barlow先生 你打过你儿子没有 | 
| [15:27] | -Objection. -I certainly did not! | -反对 -当然没有 | 
| [15:28] | Ever beat your wife? | 打过你妻子没有 | 
| [15:29] | Objection! | 反对 | 
| [15:30] | Offer to show that this man | 我是想证明 | 
| [15:31] | has a history of violent behaviour. | 这个人以往有过家庭暴力行为 | 
| [15:33] | Move to strike! | 请求不予记录 | 
| [15:34] | The objection is overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [15:36] | Mr Barlow, were you arrested for | Barlow先生 你是否曾经因为跟你妻子 | 
| [15:37] | domestic battery stemming from an altercation | 发生争吵 并继而实施家庭暴力 | 
| [15:39] | between you and your wife? | 而被逮捕 | 
| [15:40] | That was a long time ago! | 那是很久以前的事了 | 
| [15:42] | That was a yes? | 你承认有这回事? | 
| [15:43] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [15:44] | You hit her. | 你打了她 | 
| [15:45] | I lost my temper and I… | 我情绪失控了 而且我… | 
| [15:46] | You hit her. | 你打了她 | 
| [15:47] | Yes. | 是的 | 
| [15:48] | Open hand or fist? | 是掌掴还是用的拳头 | 
| [15:51] | Open hand or fist, sir? | 是掌掴还是用的拳头 先生 | 
| [15:52] | -It was more than nine years ago -Open hand or fist? | -那是九年前的事了 -是掌掴还是用的拳头 | 
| [15:56] | Fist. | 拳头 | 
| [15:57] | Ever hit your son, Kevin | 你是否曾经掌掴或者 | 
| [15:58] | -with an open hand or fist? -Objection, he’s badgering! | -拳击过你儿子Kevin -反对 他在骚扰证人 | 
| [16:00] | All right, counsel. | 够了 律师 | 
| [16:01] | Did you hurt your son? | 你打过你儿子没有 | 
| [16:02] | Counsel, dial it back. | 律师 够了 | 
| [16:05] | If it’s no, Mr Barlow, | 如果没有 Barlow先生 | 
| [16:07] | then all you have to say is no. | 你只要回答没有就行了 | 
| [16:11] | No. I did not hurt my son. | 没有 我没有打过我儿子 | 
| [16:19] | You almost had him. | 你差一点就搞定他了 | 
| [16:20] | I could see his face getting red. | 我看到他的脸都开始涨红了 | 
| [16:22] | You think I should’ve gone harder? | 你觉得我应该更强势一点? | 
| [16:26] | Pretty interesting strategy in there. | 非常有意思的诉讼策略 | 
| [16:27] | Plan B, right? | B计划 对么 | 
| [16:28] | Hey, Tommy, what the hell do you think you’re doing? | 嘿 Tommy 你他妈知道你在干什么吗 | 
| [16:29] | All right. | 好了 | 
| [16:30] | Sticking your nose in a criminal trial | 为了民事诉讼案 | 
| [16:32] | for the purpose of a civil case. | 而到处打探有关的刑事诉讼 | 
| [16:33] | Maybe I should report you to the bar. | 也许我应该到律协去举报你 | 
| [16:35] | I’m just in there watching. | 我只是旁听一下而已 | 
| [16:36] | Right now you’re talking. | 那你现在是在干什么 | 
| [16:37] | All right | 好了 | 
| [16:37] | What’s this, your only case? | 你莫非只有这一个案子可做吗 | 
| [16:38] | No. My biggest. | 不是 是我最大的案子 | 
| [16:39] | Come on. come on. | 走吧 走吧 | 
| [16:43] | The principal was understanding. | 校长还比较通情达理 | 
| [16:45] | But he said it’s school policy. | 但是他说这是学校的校规 | 
| [16:46] | So, we can march into court, | 因此 如果你真想跟他们打官司的话 | 
| [16:48] | if that’s what you wanna do | 那我们就上法庭吧 | 
| [16:49] | I do. | 我想 | 
| [16:49] | Okay | 好的 | 
| [16:50] | When? Because he is missing school now. | 什么时候 他现在就想回学校去上学 | 
| [16:53] | It’s already scheduled, | 已经排好了 | 
| [16:54] | we go tomorrow. | 我们明天上庭 | 
| [16:55] | We meet here at nine, then go. | 我们九点钟在这里碰头 然后过去 | 
| [16:57] | All right. | 好 | 
| [16:58] | Just so we’re clear, | 我们先说清楚 | 
| [17:00] | you don’t talk. | 你不许说话 | 
| [17:01] | What if the judge asks me something? | 如果法官问我怎么办 | 
| [17:04] | I will try to prevent that from happening, | 我会尽量避免法官向你提问 | 
| [17:05] | trust me. | 相信我 | 
| [17:06] | Don’t be getting snide with me. | 不要这么对我冷嘲热讽的 | 
| [17:09] | Hey, how’d you do? | 嘿 进展如何 | 
| [17:10] | Uh, he stayed under control. | 呃 他控制住了自己的情绪 | 
| [17:11] | Helen probably sat on him. | Helen可能事前指导过他 | 
| [17:13] | And Silva was there taking notes. | Silva过来旁听了 | 
| [17:15] | Oh, I got a meeting with him tomorrow. | 噢 我约了明天跟他会面 | 
| [17:17] | Silva? Silva? | |
| [17:18] | See if I can find his squeal point. | 我看看是不是可以搞清楚他的意图 | 
| [17:20] | We know each other some, so | 我跟他关系还不错 所以… | 
| [17:24] | Good. | 很好 | 
| [17:29] | That bruise on his forehead was an accident. | 他额头上的淤青是因为意外造成的 | 
| [17:31] | What happened? | 是怎么回事呢 | 
| [17:32] | I just turned my back for a minute | 我当时转过身去做其他事情 才一分钟 | 
| [17:34] | and he bumped his head on the coffee table. | 他就把头碰在咖啡桌上了 | 
| [17:36] | Mrs Barlow, | Barlow太太 | 
| [17:37] | did your son have any other injuries | 你儿子还有过其他的外伤么 | 
| [17:40] | or medical problems of any kind? | 或者任何其他健康问题 | 
| [17:43] | No. | 没有 | 
| [17:46] | My client had been caring for Kevin for over 3 months, | 我的当事人看护Kevin已经超过3个月了 | 
| [17:50] | is that right? | 对么 | 
| [17:51] | Yes. My husband and I both work days, | 是的 我丈夫我和白天都要工作 | 
| [17:53] | so she watched him Monday through Friday. | 所以从周一到周五 都是她照看的 | 
| [17:56] | And over the course of the three months | 在Evelyn Mayfield看护Kevin | 
| [17:58] | that Evelyn Mayfield was watching Kevin, | 整整三个月的过程中 | 
| [18:00] | he always seemed well cared for? | 他一直都被照看得很好 是么 | 
| [18:02] | Yes | 是的 | 
| [18:03] | In fact, you described her to your friends | 事实上 你向你的朋友称赞她 | 
| [18:06] | as a great caretaker, didn’t you? | 说她是一个非常好的保姆 不是么 | 
| [18:09] | I’ve changed my position on that, Mr Donnell. | 我已经改变这个看法了 Donnell先生 | 
| [18:11] | Mrs Barlow, honest answer? | Barlow太太 请诚实地回答我 | 
| [18:14] | You don’t know what happened | 你并不知道在那天早上 | 
| [18:15] | once Kevin left your house that morning, do you? | 当Kevin离开家之后发生了什么 是么 | 
| [18:18] | If you’re suggesting that | 如果你在暗示 | 
| [18:19] | my husband could’ve been involved, | Kevin的死与我丈夫有关 | 
| [18:20] | I absolutely know you’re wrong. | 我可以非常肯定地说你错了 | 
| [18:22] | Because you have his word. | 因为他是这么跟你说的? | 
| [18:23] | And because I know him. | 还因为我了解他 | 
| [18:29] | Were you injured when he struck you? | 当他打你的时候 你受伤了没有 | 
| [18:32] | Objection. | 反对 | 
| [18:32] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [18:34] | Did he hurt you? | 他伤到你了么 | 
| [18:35] | That was a long time ago. | 那是很久以前的事情了 | 
| [18:36] | The question was | 我的问题是 | 
| [18:37] | when you went to the police station , | 当你来到警察局 | 
| [18:40] | and filed a complaint for domestic battery | 控告家庭暴力的时候 | 
| [18:43] | had you been injured? | 你受伤了没有 | 
| [18:45] | I had a small cut or so, | 只有一点皮外伤而已 | 
| [18:46] | it wasn’t that bad. | 并不严重 | 
| [18:54] | I’ll show you these photographs, | 我可以给你看看这些照片 | 
| [18:57] | marked defence exhibits one through three, | 编号为辩方证据一到证据三 | 
| [19:01] | for identification. | 请法庭记录 | 
| [19:20] | Do you recognise what they depict? | 你看得出来是什么情况吗 | 
| [19:26] | That’s me. | 是我 | 
| [19:28] | With a small cut. | 这就是你说的皮外伤 | 
| [19:35] | Lindsay spends the morning with character witnesses. | Lindsay今天上午负责品格证人 | 
| [19:37] | People from the church, mostly. | 主要是教会那边的人 | 
| [19:39] | Parents of kids you’ve taken care of. | 以及那些你看护过的小孩的父母 | 
| [19:40] | I don’t expect them to be cross-examined. | 我想他们应该不会被交叉质询 | 
| [19:43] | After lunch, it’ll be you | 到了下午 就轮到你了 | 
| [19:45] | Okay. | 好的 | 
| [19:51] | You ready? | 你准备好了吗 | 
| [19:52] | I just tell the truth. | 我只要说出真相就行了 | 
| [19:55] | Well, it’s not gonna be that simple, Evelyn. | 事情不会这么简单 Evelyn | 
| [19:58] | Helen Gamble is good. | Helen Gamble很厉害 | 
| [20:02] | And she can be pretty vicious. | 而且她还能非常恶毒 | 
| [20:05] | She can, Lindsay, | 我说的是实话 Lindsay | 
| [20:06] | let’s admit it. | 我们得承认这点 | 
| [20:08] | Now, the big one. | 现在 最重要的问题 | 
| [20:10] | Those forty minutes. | 在于那40分钟 | 
| [20:12] | You said you called 911 about twenty minutes | 你说在婴儿到你家后大约20分钟 | 
| [20:15] | after the baby was dropped off, | 你打了911求救 | 
| [20:17] | but the call didn’t come in until after ten. | 但是通讯记录显示电话是十点钟以后才打的 | 
| [20:20] | That’s the hole. | 这是一个很大的漏洞 | 
| [20:22] | Have you given it any more thought? | 你后来想过这个没有 | 
| [20:24] | All I can say is what I remember. | 我只能说 我所记得的就是这个样子 | 
| [20:27] | Maybe I got the time wrong. | 也许我搞错了时间 | 
| [20:29] | I believe you. | 我倒是相信你 | 
| [20:30] | But it may not sound believable. | 但是你这么解释听上去并不可信 | 
| [20:33] | What should I do? | 那我该怎么办 | 
| [20:34] | Should I make something up? | 我应该编造点什么东西吗 | 
| [20:38] | No. | 不 | 
| [20:40] | What, they’re gonna convict me of murder | 怎么 难道就因为我搞错了时间 | 
| [20:42] | because I lost track of time? | 他们就可以判我谋杀罪? | 
| [20:45] | Yes. It could come down to that. | 是的 有可能会导致这个结果 | 
| [20:46] | Look, an eleven month old boy was killed. | 你想想 十一个月大的婴儿被杀害 | 
| [20:48] | The jury is gonna hold somebody accountable. | 陪审团总得让谁为这个事情承担责任 | 
| [20:50] | But it wasn’t me. | 但不是我干的 | 
| [20:52] | You were the last one with him. | 你是最后和他在一起的人 | 
| [20:54] | Be prepared to be hit on those forty minutes. | 你要有所准备 他们会在这个40分钟上做文章 | 
| [20:59] | You know, far be it for me to suggest this | 我知道 既然上次你们全都批评我 | 
| [21:01] | since you all hammered me the last time, but… | 我本不应该管闲事 但是… | 
| [21:04] | But what? | 但是什么 | 
| [21:05] | This is a deja vu to the Vogelman trial. | 这个案子跟Vogelman案何其相似 | 
| [21:07] | Last seen with the victim, | 她是最后一个跟受害者在一起的人 | 
| [21:08] | It has to be her | 所以一定是她 | 
| [21:10] | So? | 所以呢 | 
| [21:10] | So, you’ve got the same public pressure on the DA’s office, | 所以 检方面临同样的公众压力 | 
| [21:13] | they need to get this conviction. | 他们需要找个人定罪 | 
| [21:15] | Evelyn Mayfield is the only one | Evelyn Mayflied是唯一一个 | 
| [21:17] | they could possibly get it against | 他们有可能定罪的人 | 
| [21:18] | so she’s the one they’re going after. | 所以他们就起诉她 | 
| [21:21] | As much as you hated me for torpedoeing Helen, | 尽管你们都反对我对Helen的突然袭击 | 
| [21:24] | you could do it again. | 你们现在也可以这么做 | 
| [21:25] | What? | 什么 | 
| [21:26] | Call her as a witness. | 传唤她出庭作证 | 
| [21:27] | Get the same testimony. | 逼她说出同样的证言 | 
| [21:29] | Sometimes the choice of who they go after | 有时候 他们在决定起诉谁的时候 | 
| [21:31] | is linked to who they think they can convict. | 会考虑定罪机会最大的人 | 
| [21:33] | I know. It’s ass-backwards. | 我知道 这样做有点卑鄙 | 
| [21:35] | We can’t call Helen as a witness. | 我们不能传Helen出庭作证 | 
| [21:37] | First, it would be mistrial, | 首先 会导致无效审判 | 
| [21:38] | second, there’s… | 其次 还会… | 
| [21:39] | So? Would a mistrial really be that bad? | 那又怎么样 无效审判真有那么糟糕吗 | 
| [21:43] | Where are you? | 你们现在形势怎样 | 
| [21:44] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [21:45] | But we’re not calling Helen. | 但是我们不能传Helen出庭作证 | 
| [21:48] | Well, | 好吧 | 
| [21:50] | it’s another card you can play. | 反正这是你能出的另外一张牌 | 
| [21:53] | Night. | 晚安 | 
| [22:01] | Where do you think we are? | 你觉得我们形势怎么样 | 
| [22:04] | Well, | 呃 | 
| [22:06] | I think she’s innocent, Bobby. | 我感觉她是无辜的 Bobby | 
| [22:07] | But the truth is, | 但事实上 | 
| [22:09] | I don’t know it. | 我并不确定 | 
| [22:11] | If the jury’s where I am, | 如果陪审团也跟我想的一样 | 
| [22:12] | we have reasonable doubt. | 那这个案子就存在”合理怀疑” | 
| [22:23] | It’s a note. | 只不过是个纸条 | 
| [22:24] | Passing a note in the back of a classroom. | 在教室后面传个纸条而已 | 
| [22:27] | A note containing a sexual description that might… | 一张含有性描述的纸条 可能导致… | 
| [22:30] | She’s got a nice ass. | 她的屁股确实很好看 | 
| [22:31] | It’s sexual objectification. | 这是带有性意味的描述 | 
| [22:33] | Oh, come on. | 哦 拜托 | 
| [22:34] | And as silly as it may seem, | Brockton学校的校规 | 
| [22:36] | the policy at Brockton is no difference | 尽管看起来很愚蠢 | 
| [22:38] | from every other school across this country. | 但是跟全国其他学校的校规并没有什么不同 | 
| [22:41] | That only makes it more ridiculous. | 这就显得更荒谬了 | 
| [22:42] | He’s 10 years old. | 他才10岁 | 
| [22:44] | Kids write on bathroom walls, | 哪个小孩不在厕所墙壁上乱写 | 
| [22:46] | kids pass notes. | 哪个小孩不传传纸条 | 
| [22:47] | And what if he should do more than that? | 万一他所做的不止这些呢 | 
| [22:48] | What if he commits a sexual assault? | 万一他实施了性侵犯呢 | 
| [22:50] | Well, then you suspend him, | 到那时候 你当然可以开除他 | 
| [22:51] | but for a note you don’t suspend… | 但是仅仅因为一张纸条 你不能… | 
| [22:53] | The point is | 我想说的是 | 
| [22:54] | the school has notice of the note | 因为学校已经知道了传纸条这回事 | 
| [22:56] | and therefore could be held liable | 如果今后他有更恶劣的行为 | 
| [22:57] | if his behaviour escalates. | 学校将为此承担责任 | 
| [22:59] | I knew it! | 我就知道 | 
| [22:59] | This is just some cover-your-ass lawyer | 他们的律师只是想推卸责任 | 
| [23:02] | Ms Baylor. | Baylor女士 | 
| [23:06] | Your Honour, we are getting carried away here. | 法官阁下 她有点激动 | 
| [23:08] | Now, are you saying that your client | 你是想说你的当事人在校规之下 | 
| [23:10] | is being treated unfairly under the policy, | 受到了不公平的对待 | 
| [23:13] | or that the policy itself is unfair? | 还是说校规本身就不公平 | 
| [23:16] | I am saying if we are at the point | 我说的是 我们是否已经到这个地步 | 
| [23:18] | where girls and boys can’t talk to each other at school, | 男孩女孩在学校里相互之间不能说话 | 
| [23:22] | if they can get suspended for passing notes, | 传个纸条就要被开除 | 
| [23:25] | what is going on? | 这是怎么了 | 
| [23:29] | They don’t wanna settle for nothing, | 他们根本就不想庭下和解 | 
| [23:31] | but I’ll try to sell four. | 但是我可以试试说服他们接受40万 | 
| [23:34] | Four hundred’s not gonna do it, Jimmy. | Jimmy 40万不可能和解 | 
| [23:36] | Tommy, even if you win, | Tommy 即使你赢了 | 
| [23:38] | you’re looking at automatic appeal. | 我们肯定是会上诉的 | 
| [23:39] | This case is threshold. | 这个案子具有标杆意义 | 
| [23:42] | Suppose the jury gives you a million, | 即使陪审团判了100万 | 
| [23:44] | end of the day, | 不管怎么说 | 
| [23:45] | present day value of four turns out to be more. | 马上得到40万的现金要实在得多 | 
| [23:48] | Mmmm, I understand. | 嗯 我明白 | 
| [23:49] | Off the record? | 咋俩私底下说? | 
| [23:51] | Course. | 当然 | 
| [23:52] | My client’s wealthy. | 我的当事人很有钱 | 
| [23:54] | He’s dying of cancer. | 他患了癌症 活不了多久 | 
| [23:55] | It’s not about money. | 这不是钱的问题 | 
| [23:57] | He wants you guys out of business. | 他就是想要你们事务所倒闭 | 
| [24:00] | At first I thought he’d take a million. | 最初 我以为他会接受100万 | 
| [24:02] | Clients come in angry, | 当事人来找我们的时候怒气冲冲 | 
| [24:03] | then they settle down, | 然后在诉讼中和解 | 
| [24:04] | you know how it is. | 你也知道这个套路 | 
| [24:05] | But he ain’t settling down. | 但是他不会接受和解的 | 
| [24:07] | He wants you guys selling your furniture. | 他就是想要你们砸锅卖铁 | 
| [24:09] | Client comes to me with that kind of revenge on his mind | 如果有当事人带着这种报复的心态来找我 | 
| [24:12] | I tell him to go get another lawyer. | 我会建议他另外去找律师 | 
| [24:14] | Come on, Jimmy. | 拜托 Jimmy | 
| [24:15] | Look what they did to this kid. | 瞧瞧他们是怎么对待这个孩子的 | 
| [24:17] | You wouldn’t take this case? | 你难道会不接这样一个案子 | 
| [24:27] | I just had a sense that something wasn’t right. | 我只是觉得有点不太正常 | 
| [24:29] | Kevin usually didn’t cry like that. | Kevin平时不会哭得这么厉害的 | 
| [24:31] | How long did he cry for? | 他哭了多久 | 
| [24:33] | Maybe ten or twenty minutes or so. | 大概十到二十分钟的样子 | 
| [24:36] | And then he finally stopped, | 最后他终于不哭了 | 
| [24:38] | so I put him down for his nap. | 我就将他放下来让他睡一会儿 | 
| [24:41] | And when did you realise that something was wrong? | 那么你是什么时候意识到他出事了的 | 
| [24:45] | I checked on him about fifteen minutes later, | 15分钟之后 我再去看他 | 
| [24:49] | and he wasn’t breathing. | 他已经停止呼吸了 | 
| [24:52] | What’d you do? | 你做了些什么 | 
| [24:53] | I tried to give him CPR, | 我试图给他做心肺复苏 | 
| [24:54] | but it just wasn’t working. | 但是没有效果 | 
| [24:56] | He wouldn’t breathe. | 他还是没有呼吸 | 
| [24:58] | So I called 911 and finally the ambulance came. | 因此我拨打了911 然后救护车就来了 | 
| [25:03] | Now, Evelyn, the baby arrives at 8:30, | Evelyn 婴儿是八点半到你家的 | 
| [25:06] | twenty minutes of crying, | 他哭了20分钟 | 
| [25:08] | fifteen minute nap. | 睡了15分钟 | 
| [25:09] | You called 911 at 10:07. | 你是在10:07拨打的911 | 
| [25:13] | That leaves forty minute unaccounted for. | 那么 这中间就有40分钟对不上 | 
| [25:17] | Maybe he cried longer, | 也许他哭的时间更久吧 | 
| [25:18] | maybe he napped longer, or… | 也或者他睡了更久 也许… | 
| [25:19] | or got there later. | 也许他到的时候已经过了八点半 | 
| [25:20] | I honestly don’t know. | 我真的不知道 | 
| [25:22] | I…I’m not sure how long | 我…我真的不确定 | 
| [25:24] | I did CPR before I called. | 在打电话之前 我做了多长时间的心肺复苏 | 
| [25:26] | And also, | 而且 | 
| [25:28] | I was in shock, maybe. | 我当时可能吓坏了 | 
| [25:30] | I guess the time frames could be off, | 我觉得我那时候根本没有时间概念了 | 
| [25:34] | but I never harmed that child. | 但是 我真的没有伤害过那个孩子 | 
| [25:37] | And the idea that I could have… | 他们说是我… | 
| [25:44] | Forty minutes. | 40分钟 | 
| [25:45] | It’s kind of a lot to be off by. | 这么长的时间 不是那么容易忘掉的 | 
| [25:48] | I’ve done my best to explain it. | 我已经尽我所能给你们解释了 | 
| [25:49] | You were in some shock. | 你说你当时被吓到了 | 
| [25:52] | Is it possible | 有没有可能 | 
| [25:53] | you maybe blocked out some time in your mind? | 你自己把这段时间的记忆屏蔽掉了 | 
| [25:55] | I’m sorry? | 什么 | 
| [25:56] | Something happened which you blocked out of your mind. | 你将某些发生过的事从你的记忆里屏蔽掉了 | 
| [25:59] | I don’t think that’s the case. | 我认为不是这样的 | 
| [26:00] | Oh, such a traumatic event. | 哦 这么大的精神创伤 | 
| [26:02] | Certainly it’s the first time | 显然 这是你第一次碰到 | 
| [26:03] | you ever discovered an unconscious baby, isn’t it? | 婴儿昏迷不醒的情况 不是吗 | 
| [26:08] | No. | 不是 | 
| [26:11] | There was another one. | 你以前也遇到过 | 
| [26:13] | A few years back. | 那是几年前 | 
| [26:14] | And I saved that baby performing CPR. | 我用心肺复苏把那个孩子救过来了 | 
| [26:17] | You did? | 你救了他? | 
| [26:18] | So you have experience with reacting to crisis. | 这么说 你有处理紧急情况的经验 | 
| [26:21] | Yes | 是的 | 
| [26:22] | So, seeing a baby not breathing, | 那么 看到婴儿停止呼吸 | 
| [26:23] | that wouldn’t be so horrific | 对于你来讲并不是那么可怕 | 
| [26:25] | to cause you to block out time. | 不至于让你丧失时间概念 | 
| [26:26] | That’s right. | 是的 | 
| [26:27] | What if you killed that baby? | 但如果是你杀了那个婴儿呢 | 
| [26:28] | -Objection. -Objection. | -反对 -反对 | 
| [26:29] | Overruled. | 反对无效 | 
| [26:30] | You don’t have any experience doing that, do you? | 你没有这种杀害婴儿的经验 是吗 | 
| [26:32] | No, I do not, Miss Gamble. | 没 我没有 Gamble小姐 | 
| [26:36] | Think you might block that out? | 是不是你将这个给屏蔽掉了 | 
| [26:37] | I did not harm that baby. | 我没有伤害那个婴儿 | 
| [26:41] | You know, | 你看 | 
| [26:42] | something else struck me as funny. | 还有些事情让我觉得很奇怪 | 
| [26:45] | You never called Mr and Mrs Barlow | 你从来没有打电话给Barlow夫妇 | 
| [26:47] | to tell them what happened, did you? | 告诉他们出事了 是不是 | 
| [26:49] | The police called them. | 警察给他们打电话了 | 
| [26:50] | Yes, much later. | 是的 那时候已经过了很久了 | 
| [26:52] | But why didn’t you? | 但你为什么没打呢 | 
| [26:53] | You’re baby-sitting their child, | 是你在照看他们的孩子啊 | 
| [26:55] | he dies, | 他现在死了 | 
| [26:57] | you don’t call? | 你居然不给他们打个电话? | 
| [26:58] | Everything was happening so fast. | 所有的事情发生得太快了 | 
| [27:01] | I…I was going to call them | 我…我是打算给他们打电话的 | 
| [27:03] | The first thing was trying to save him. | 但是当时最迫切的是先想办法救他 | 
| [27:06] | Yes, but why didn’t you call them | 对 但是在你叫了救护车之后 | 
| [27:08] | after you called the ambulance | 你为什么还是没有给他们打电话 | 
| [27:09] | to let these people know what had happened? | 告诉他们发生了什么事? | 
| [27:12] | I was holding Kevin. | 我当时抱着Kevin | 
| [27:14] | Or after they took Kevin away. | 那么在他们抱走Kevin之后呢 | 
| [27:16] | Was there another reason why you didn’t call? | 你为什么还是没有给他们打电话 | 
| [27:21] | Is it possible that the reason you didn’t call | 你没给他们打电话的原因 | 
| [27:24] | was because you couldn’t bear to face them? | 有没有可能是你不敢面对他们 | 
| [27:27] | Because your conscience knew the truth | 因为你的良心知道真相 | 
| [27:29] | about what you did? | 知道自己做了什么 | 
| [27:30] | No. That is not possible. | 不 不是这样的 | 
| [27:36] | Manslaughter’s still good. | 我们仍然可以接受非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [27:37] | You just gave us grounds for appeal. | 你刚刚正好给了我们上诉的理由 | 
| [27:39] | Prior bad acts? | 之前的不良行为? | 
| [27:40] | That wasn’t a bad act. | 这不是不良行为 | 
| [27:40] | She saved that other child. | 是她救了另一个孩子的性命 | 
| [27:41] | Plus, she opened the door. | 而且 是她主动提到这个问题的 | 
| [27:43] | She did not. | 她没有 | 
| [27:43] | Just take manslaughter. | 认下非蓄谋杀人罪吧 | 
| [27:45] | She didn’t hit any home runs in there. | 她在庭上的表现并不怎么样 | 
| [27:46] | She’s not gonna take manslaughter. | 她不会认非蓄谋杀人罪的 | 
| [27:47] | She will if you tell her to. | 如果你说服她认 她就会认 | 
| [27:48] | I won’t tell her to, | 我不会让她认的 | 
| [27:49] | and I don’t think that you made the elements. | 我觉得你并没有完成举证责任 | 
| [27:51] | Look, this could go either way, | 听我说 这个案子胜负难料 | 
| [27:52] | we all know that. | 你我都很清楚 | 
| [27:54] | Why do you wanna risk life? | 你为什么要冒终生监禁的危险 | 
| [27:55] | Manslaughter, she’s out in five. | 非蓄谋杀人 五年就可以出来 | 
| [27:57] | You wanna stay up all night | 你们愿意通宵奋战 | 
| [27:59] | working on a closing argument? | 来准备结案陈词吗 | 
| [28:00] | You guys already tired? | 你们都已经够累了吧 | 
| [28:02] | Excuse me a second. | 失陪一下 | 
| [28:05] | Hey, Bobby, I’m just watching. | 嘿 Bobby 我只是看看而已 | 
| [28:07] | It’s legal. | 这可是合法的 | 
| [28:07] | Yeah, yeah. | 是 是 | 
| [28:08] | How much of her testimony did you hear? | 你听到了多少她的证词 | 
| [28:12] | Most, I think. | 我想 差不多都听到了 | 
| [28:14] | You believe her? | 你相信她么 | 
| [28:15] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 | 
| [28:16] | But I don’t disbelieve her. | 但是我也并不认为她在说谎 | 
| [28:20] | They’re offering manslaughter. | 他们给的认罪条件是非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [28:21] | I wouldn’t. | 是我的话 就不接受 | 
| [28:23] | Really. | 真的吗 | 
| [28:24] | I don’t think they made their case. | 我认为他们的证据并不充分 | 
| [28:26] | Not on murder. | 至少证明不了谋杀 | 
| [28:30] | Pretty soon, it will be illegal | 要不了多久 连一个男孩送女孩一朵花 | 
| [28:31] | for a boy to give a girl a flower. | 也会变成非法的 | 
| [28:33] | I share the petitioner’s concern. | 我也有原告的这个担忧 | 
| [28:35] | I also share the notion | 我也同意这样一种观点 | 
| [28:38] | that a school is a child’s first introduction to society. | 即学校是孩子迈向社会的第一步 | 
| [28:42] | It should be no less sexually charged | 并不能仅仅因为他们是孩子 | 
| [28:44] | just because they’re children. | 就说他们的行为不是性骚扰 | 
| [28:45] | In fact, because they’re children, | 事实上 正因为他们是孩子 | 
| [28:48] | maybe these school policies | 也许这些校规 | 
| [28:49] | are our best hope of one day | 为我们将来减少性别敌视和性别歧视 | 
| [28:51] | curtailing gender hostility and discrimination. | 提供了最好的希望 | 
| [28:55] | We’re quick to say | 我们总是不暇思索地说 | 
| [28:56] | education beats retribution, | 教育比惩罚更有效 | 
| [28:59] | so let the schools try to educate. | 那么就让学校来教育他们吧 | 
| [29:03] | I’m upholding the suspension. | 我维持开除的决定 | 
| [29:05] | Oh, you gotta be kidding me. | 哦 你开什么玩笑 | 
| [29:07] | Roberta Roberta. | |
| [29:07] | The world has gone upside down. | 这个世界已经黑白颠倒了 | 
| [29:09] | I agree. | 这点我同意 | 
| [29:11] | But since passing a note as an adult | 但是既然成年人传个纸条 | 
| [29:13] | could cost him a lot of money and even his job, | 有可能让他付出金钱的代价 甚至丢掉工作 | 
| [29:16] | maybe it’s best to give him the message now. | 也许现在就让他明白这一点 对他是最好的 | 
| [29:18] | And maybe it’s time to change a stupid, | 也许现在更应该改变这个愚蠢的 | 
| [29:21] | ridiculous,God-awful | 荒谬的 糟糕的 | 
| [29:23] | laugh-out-loud, dumb law | 让人笑掉大牙的 破法律 | 
| [29:27] | There’s always that. | 事情往往就是这样的 | 
| [29:29] | The key is Doctor Cadmin. | 关键是Gadmin医生 | 
| [29:30] | He testified possible. | 他作证说这是可能的 | 
| [29:31] | Death wasn’t immediate. | 死亡不是当场发生的 | 
| [29:32] | Remote. The likelihood… | 机会太渺茫了 这种可能性… | 
| [29:33] | He said possible. | 他说有这个可能 | 
| [29:34] | You just keep hammering possible, possible, possible, | 你只要不断地强调可能的 可能的 可能的 | 
| [29:36] | doubt, doubt, doubt, doubt. | 怀疑 怀疑 怀疑 怀疑 | 
| [29:37] | I’m leaving. | 我得走了 | 
| [29:38] | If my father knew the hours I kept here | 如果我父亲知道我在这里呆了这么久 | 
| [29:45] | Lucy, what’s your father do? | Lucy 你父亲做什么的 | 
| [29:47] | He drives a cab. | 他开出租车的 | 
| [29:49] | Why? | 怎么了 | 
| [29:50] | Nothing. | 没什么 | 
| [29:53] | What about your mother? | 你母亲呢 | 
| [29:54] | She’s dead. | 她已经去世了 | 
| [29:56] | Oh, I didn’t mean to | 哦 我不是故意的 | 
| [29:58] | I’ve heard you say parents | 我听你说起过父母亲 | 
| [30:00] | Yeah, well, | 哦 是啊 | 
| [30:01] | sometimes I include stepthing. | 有时候 我指的是继母 | 
| [30:05] | G’night. | 晚安 | 
| [30:15] | What are you doing? | 你在做什么 | 
| [30:16] | We have to stand reasonable doubt, Bobby. | 我们必须坚持合理怀疑 Bobby | 
| [30:18] | We can’t just try to argue the father did it. | 我们不能仅仅只是咬住是他父亲干的 | 
| [30:19] | I know. | 我知道 | 
| [30:22] | Can I ask you something? | 我能问你个问题么 | 
| [30:25] | Are we a couple? | 我们是一对么 | 
| [30:27] | I mean, a couple in waiting. | 我的意思是 将来成为一对 | 
| [30:30] | We’ve kissed, we… | 我们接过吻 我们… | 
| [30:31] | What are we doing? | 我们这是在做什么 | 
| [30:32] | Or, not doing? | 或者说 是不是该做点什么 | 
| [30:36] | What’s going on? Are you dying? | 你怎么了 发表临终遗言吗 | 
| [30:38] | Why is this suddenly coming up? | 为什么突然提到这个话题 | 
| [30:39] | Well, isn’t it strange that we don’t address | 明明我们相互都有感觉 但我们就是不说 | 
| [30:42] | Obviously we have feelings | 这不是很怪异吗 | 
| [30:44] | You’re asking me | 你的意思是问 | 
| [30:45] | it it’s strange that you don’t address your feelings? | 你从来不说你的感受 是不是很奇怪 | 
| [30:46] | Was I just insulted? | 你这是在责怪我吗 | 
| [30:48] | Bobby, I was in love with you once. | Bobby 我曾经爱过你 | 
| [30:52] | Maybe I still am, | 也许现在仍然爱你 | 
| [30:53] | but I don’t think… | 但是我不认为… | 
| [30:54] | What? | 什么 | 
| [30:55] | Do you really want to get into this? | 你真的想谈这个话题么 | 
| [30:57] | No. | 不想 | 
| [31:04] | This isn’t a great life. | 我们并没有什么美妙的生活 | 
| [31:06] | Great job, | 美妙的工作 | 
| [31:08] | but life? | 但是生活? | 
| [31:09] | I need somebody | 我想要的人 | 
| [31:11] | to pull me out of this a little. | 他要能够带我稍微抽离这样的生活 | 
| [31:12] | And whatever you may be, | 然而 不论你是什么样的人 | 
| [31:15] | you’ll never be that. | 你绝对做不到这一点 | 
| [31:18] | So, we’re not a couple in waiting? | 那么 我们不会成为一对? | 
| [31:22] | Truth? | 说实话? | 
| [31:28] | I could fall in love with you | 我可以重新爱上你 | 
| [31:29] | all over again if I let myself. | 只要我放任自己这么做 | 
| [31:34] | But I won’t. | 但是我不会 | 
| [31:38] | Their own medical expert told you | 他们自己的医学专家告诉你们 | 
| [31:41] | that it was possible. | 有这样的可能性 | 
| [31:42] | The injury could have occurred | 那天当Kevin Barlow被送到Evelyn家之前 | 
| [31:45] | before Kevin Barlow arrived at Evelyn’s house that day. | 他可能就已经受伤了 | 
| [31:49] | He told you that. | 他是这么说的 | 
| [31:51] | Possible. | 有这个可能性 | 
| [31:53] | Kevin’s father was alone with him. | Kevin的父亲曾跟他单独在一起 | 
| [31:56] | Did he shake him? | 他有摇晃过他么 | 
| [31:58] | We certainly have no evidence that he did, | 当然 我们没有证据证明他有 | 
| [32:01] | no witnesses. | 没有目击证人 | 
| [32:02] | But they have no proof that he didn’t, do they? | 但是他们也没有证据证明他没有 不是么 | 
| [32:07] | And he does have a history of violence. | 而且 他也确实有过暴力史 | 
| [32:11] | Evelyn Mayfield doesn’t. | Evelyn Mayfield可没有 | 
| [32:13] | You heard witness after witness after witness tell you | 你听到了一个又一个的证人告诉你 | 
| [32:17] | they’ve never seen | 他们在这位女士身上 | 
| [32:17] | a hint of violence in this woman. | 没有看到过一丝暴力的影子 | 
| [32:19] | Or even anger, for that matter. | 甚至没有见过她发脾气 | 
| [32:21] | Their whole case is that | 他们所有的证据就是 | 
| [32:22] | she was with the baby at the time of death, | 婴儿死亡的时候 她在婴儿身边 | 
| [32:25] | while their own doctor says the injury | 然而他们自己的医生都说 | 
| [32:27] | could’ve preceded the boy | 孩子被送到我的当事人那里之前 | 
| [32:29] | coming into my client’s custody. | 他可能就已经受伤了 | 
| [32:34] | Reasonable doubt? | 合理怀疑? | 
| [32:39] | The doctor’s testimony was that | 医生的证言说的是 | 
| [32:41] | it was a virtual certainty | 几乎可以确定 | 
| [32:43] | that the baby’s death was immediate. | 婴儿的死亡是当场发生的 | 
| [32:46] | Well, sure, | 是的 | 
| [32:46] | they seize upon that word, possible. | 他们抓住了这个词 可能性 | 
| [32:49] | It’s a great word, | 这是一个美妙的词 | 
| [32:50] | because it’s so difficult to disprove a negative. | 因为要反证一个否定的命题是如此的困难 | 
| [32:52] | Possible. | 可能性 | 
| [32:54] | Well, anything’s possible, I guess. | 我认为 一切皆有可能性 | 
| [32:57] | But that doctor told you | 但是那位医生告诉你们 | 
| [32:58] | that the baby’s death was immediate | 婴儿的死是当场发生的 | 
| [33:01] | and the defence has done nothing to contradict it. | 而被告没有提出任何证据来反驳这个结论 | 
| [33:06] | Maybe Evelyn Mayfield really does believe she didn’t do this. | 也许Evelyn Mayfield真的相信她没有杀人 | 
| [33:10] | Sometimes psychic anguish can just block out all memory. | 有时候 精神上的苦痛能让你屏蔽所有的记忆 | 
| [33:14] | It’s been known to happen. | 这是已经被实例证实的 | 
| [33:17] | But she did do it. | 但是 确实是她杀的 | 
| [33:19] | And deep down, she knows she did it. | 在她内心深处 她也知道是自己杀的 | 
| [33:24] | That’s why she didn’t call the parents, | 所以她才没有给孩子的父母打电话 | 
| [33:26] | that’s why she froze on the stand. | 所以她当时惊呆了 | 
| [33:29] | And when all these people from her church | 然后 当她在教会的教友们 | 
| [33:31] | march up there and say | 都站到证人席上说 | 
| [33:32] | ‘Oh she couldn’t have, she couldn’t have,’ | “哦 不可能是她 不可能是她” | 
| [33:36] | well, it probably makes it easier for her | 如此一来 也许会让她更容易相信 | 
| [33:38] | to think she couldn’t have. | 不可能是自己干的 | 
| [33:42] | The death was immediate, | 死亡是当场发生的 | 
| [33:44] | she was the only one there. | 而她是唯一当时在场的人 | 
| [33:46] | She cannot account for forty minutes. | 她没法解释这四十分钟是怎么回事 | 
| [33:49] | Forty minutes of blank time | 四十分钟的空白 | 
| [33:50] | which coincides with the time of death. | 正好跟婴儿死亡的时间相吻合 | 
| [33:53] | Of course she did it. | 当然是她杀的 | 
| [33:58] | Roberta Roberta? | |
| [33:59] | I couldn’t sleep all night. | 我整晚上都睡不着 | 
| [34:01] | I wanna appeal. | 我要上诉 | 
| [34:02] | We can’t appeal. | 我们不能上诉 | 
| [34:03] | And even if we could… | 而且即使我们能够上诉… | 
| [34:04] | He’s a good kid. | 他是个好孩子 | 
| [34:05] | Well, nobody’s saying he isn’t. | 是的 没人说他不是好孩子 | 
| [34:08] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧 | 
| [34:10] | What chance has he got? | 他还有机会么 | 
| [34:12] | You know, I try to get him to stop stealing, | 我想方设法让他不再偷东西 | 
| [34:14] | and the best way to do that is to keep him in school, | 而最好的办法莫过于让他待在学校 | 
| [34:17] | -but the school throws him out. -I know. | -但是学校却把他开除了 -我知道 | 
| [34:18] | And the courts won’t help me. | 而且法院也不帮我 | 
| [34:21] | I’m all by myself. | 我得全靠我自己 | 
| [34:23] | His dad only comes to see him on weekends and I try… | 他父亲只在周末来看他 我一直努力地… | 
| [34:28] | Nobody is blaming you here. | 没有人责怪你 | 
| [34:33] | He’s getting away from me. | 我越来越管不住他了 | 
| [34:35] | You know, the last couple years he is a good kid. | 过去这几年 他还很乖 | 
| [34:38] | And now he’s out stealing bikes | 现在他却出去偷自行车 | 
| [34:43] | He needs something I can’t give. | 他需要的东西 我给不了他 | 
| [34:46] | And I don’t know what to do about that. | 我真的不知道怎么办 | 
| [34:54] | Okay. | 好了 | 
| [35:05] | What’s up? | 怎么回事 | 
| [35:06] | Listen, everyone’s nervous about you | 是这样的 让你来主办Robin的案子 | 
| [35:08] | doing the Robin trial. | 每个人都不放心 | 
| [35:10] | Me, I think you can do it. | 至于我 我相信你能行 | 
| [35:12] | We have a partner’s meeting later. | 我们等会要开个合伙人会议 | 
| [35:13] | A partner’s meeting? | 合伙人会议? | 
| [35:14] | Our first one. | 这是第一次 | 
| [35:16] | In honour of me? | 因为我? | 
| [35:19] | I expect to get voted down, | 我知道肯定有人会投反对票 | 
| [35:21] | but tell me how you plan to try it. | 但是 告诉我你准备怎么办这个案子 | 
| [35:25] | Does it matter? | 这个有关系么 | 
| [35:26] | It might. | 也许有 | 
| [35:29] | Tommy Silva’s gonna get up there | Tommy Silva在本案中的策略 | 
| [35:31] | and try to separate himself from lawyers. | 就是要努力地切割自己的律师身份 | 
| [35:33] | I think he’s gonna try to get the jury | 我觉得 他会试图说服陪审团 | 
| [35:35] | to send a message. | 通过本案传达一个信息 | 
| [35:36] | I plan to be more of a little guy than Tommy. | 我准备把自己的姿态放得比Tommy更低 | 
| [35:39] | Play it simple. | 把问题简单化 | 
| [35:41] | Tell them we had an innocent man | 告诉陪审团 我们有一个无辜的当事人 | 
| [35:42] | faced with losing his life. | 面临失去自由的危险 | 
| [35:45] | And we fought for him. | 我们为他而战 | 
| [35:48] | Bobby, we gotta go. | Bobby 我们得走了 | 
| [35:49] | Verdict? | 判决出来了? | 
| [35:50] | We’ve been called to chambers. | 法官通知我们去他的办公室 | 
| [35:54] | I just received a question from the jury. | 陪审团刚刚向我提了个问题 | 
| [35:56] | I’ll tell you how I plan to respond | 我将告诉你们我准备如何答复 | 
| [35:58] | and then give counsel for the state and the defence | 然后给检控方和辩方 | 
| [36:00] | the opportunity to give any comments or objections. | 提供发表意见或提出异议的机会 | 
| [36:04] | The question is | 这个问题是这样的 | 
| [36:06] | no, actually it’s two questions. | 不 事实上是两个问题 | 
| [36:08] | First they would like to know | 第一个 他们想问 | 
| [36:09] | if they can have more water, | 是不是可以给他们多提供点水 | 
| [36:11] | and second, they would like to know if killing an infant, | 第二个 他们想问 杀害一个婴儿 | 
| [36:14] | in and of itself constitutes extreme cruelty. | 本身是否构成”极端残忍行为” | 
| [36:43] | So, what’s going on? | 情况怎么样 | 
| [36:49] | They’re deciding between murder one and murder two. | 他们现在在考虑是一级谋杀还是二级谋杀 | 
| [36:59] | How? | 怎么说 | 
| [37:00] | The question was about extreme cruelty. | 这个问题是关于”极端残忍行为”的 | 
| [37:05] | One of the elements necessary for the first degree charge. | 这是构成一级谋杀的必备要件之一 | 
| [37:09] | Well, maybe they just didn’t understand it. | 也许他们只是不懂这个词的意思呢 | 
| [37:15] | That isn’t it. | 不会的 | 
| [37:17] | They’re not deciding between guilt | 他们现在已经不考虑有罪 | 
| [37:18] | or innocence anymore. | 还是无罪的问题了 | 
| [37:20] | It’s between first and second degree. | 他们在考虑是一级谋杀还是二级谋杀 | 
| [37:23] | I doubt that the DA | 在这样的形势下 | 
| [37:25] | would be even willing to offer | 我觉得地方检察官可能不愿意 | 
| [37:27] | manslaughter right now, but | 再接受非蓄谋杀人 但是 | 
| [37:31] | I should at least try. | 至少我应该试一试 | 
| [37:32] | No. | 不 | 
| [37:34] | Evelyn Evelyn | |
| [37:34] | I’m not going to agree to manslaughter. | 我不会认非蓄谋杀人罪的 | 
| [37:37] | Are you even listening to what I’m telling you? | 你到底有没有听我在跟你说什么 | 
| [37:39] | God won’t let them convict me. | 上帝不会让他们判我有罪的 | 
| [37:41] | I know he won’t. | 我知道他不会的 | 
| [37:43] | I know it. | 我知道 | 
| [37:44] | Listen, I think God has dropped the ball here. | 听着 我觉得上帝这次抛弃你了 | 
| [37:47] | Either that, | 不然的话 | 
| [37:48] | or Helen Gamble got to him. | 就是Helen Gamble收买了他 | 
| [37:50] | You need to prepare yourself | 你要做好心理准备 | 
| [37:52] | It’s not gonna happen! | 绝对不可能 | 
| [38:03] | He’s going to take care of me. | 他会庇护我的 | 
| [38:08] | Now, if you could excuse me, | 现在 如果你不介意的话 | 
| [38:10] | I need to pray. | 我要祷告了 | 
| [38:13] | Honey, maybe we should listen to | 亲爱的 也许我们应该 | 
| [38:15] | what he’s trying to say here. | 听完律师的意见 | 
| [38:17] | I need to pray. | 我要祷告了 | 
| [38:36] | You should’ve seen her face. | 你真该看看她当时的表情 | 
| [38:37] | She had this religious, blank stare. | 那种空洞的 宗教狂热的眼神 | 
| [38:39] | She looked like… | 她看起来就像… | 
| [38:40] | Kenneth Starr Kenneth Starr? | |
| [38:40] | I’m trying to tell her she’s facing life imprisonment | 我试图告诉她 她正面临终生监禁的危险 | 
| [38:42] | and she doesn’t even hear me. | 可她却根本连听都不听 | 
| [38:43] | Have they come back with a verdict? | 陪审团已经做出裁决了吗 | 
| [38:44] | Not yet. | 还没有 | 
| [38:45] | I told you she was guilty. | 我就说她是有罪的 | 
| [38:46] | Eebie-jeebie lady. | 神经兮兮的女人 | 
| [38:48] | Shake, rattle and roll. | 哆嗦 唠叨 颤抖 | 
| [38:49] | Lucy Lucy | |
| [38:55] | It’s not that we don’t think he’s any good | 我们并不是说他不是个好律师 | 
| [38:57] | Then why are we sitting here? | 那我们开这个会干什么 | 
| [38:58] | Because this isn’t just any case. | 因为这个案子实在非同寻常 | 
| [39:00] | Our whole future rides on it. | 我们的整个未来都押在这上面 | 
| [39:02] | Jimmy may be good, | Jimmy或许是很棒 | 
| [39:02] | but he certainly isn’t our best. | 但是 他显然不是我们当中最好的 | 
| [39:04] | We could hire better, | 我们可以请外部的律师 | 
| [39:05] | get outside counsel | 请更好的律师 | 
| [39:06] | I’ve seen Tommy Silva at work. | 我看过Tommy Silva在庭上的表现 | 
| [39:08] | He plays the regular guy thing | 他的风格就是”我是个平凡的人” | 
| [39:09] | like a violin. | 这一招他用得炉火纯青 | 
| [39:10] | That’s exactly why we… | 这就是为什么我们… | 
| [39:11] | Jimmy’s style, I still believe, | 我仍然坚信 Jimmy的风格 | 
| [39:12] | is the perfect counter. | 是最有效的应对办法 | 
| [39:13] | Lindsay, remember how he did | Lindsay 你还记得他在 | 
| [39:14] | in the powerlines case? | “高压线案”上的表现吧 | 
| [39:14] | Yes | 记得 | 
| [39:15] | The case against us is stacked. | 这个案子 对方占尽了各种有利因素 | 
| [39:17] | Dead sister, | 姐姐死了 | 
| [39:18] | brother accused, | 弟弟被指责是凶手 | 
| [39:19] | life ruined, | 生活被毁了 | 
| [39:20] | father dying, | 父亲也快要死了 | 
| [39:21] | evil criminal defence lawyers | 邪恶的刑事辩护律师 | 
| [39:22] | This case is tailor made | 整个案子几乎就是为 | 
| [39:23] | for Tommy Silva. | Tommy Silva量身定做的 | 
| [39:24] | He will tap into the people’s contempt for lawyers. | 他会充分利用人们对律师的厌恶 | 
| [39:27] | Jimmy is a teddy bear. | Jimmy像个泰迪熊 | 
| [39:29] | He’s good. | 他最合适 | 
| [39:30] | In my opinion he represents our best chance. | 依我看 让他来做我们的胜算最大 | 
| [39:33] | All right, why don’t we just take a vote. | 行了 我们直接投票好了 | 
| [39:35] | All against? | 反对的 | 
| [39:41] | All for? | 赞成的 | 
| [39:42] | Mine counts for two, remember? | 我有两票 还记得么 | 
| [39:49] | Rebecca, you’re a partner too. | Rebecca 你也是合伙人 | 
| [39:51] | He can take all of your property as well | 他同样有可能执行你所有的财产 | 
| [39:53] | Ellenor. Let her make up her own mind. | Ellenor 让她自己做决定 | 
| [39:56] | I’m with Bobby. | 我赞成Bobby | 
| [40:03] | Three to three, | 三比三 | 
| [40:04] | I decide tie breakers, | 平局的情况下 由我最终决定 | 
| [40:05] | Jimmy gets the case. | Jimmy负责这个案子 | 
| [40:08] | You basically get three votes now? | 这不是相当于你一个人拥有三票吗 | 
| [40:10] | It’s in the partnership. | 合伙协议上就是这么写的 | 
| [40:10] | Jimmy will first chair, | Jimmy来做主办 | 
| [40:12] | I’ll be second. | 我做协办 | 
| [40:13] | Who won? | 谁赢了 | 
| [40:14] | -Get out! -Lucy. | -出去 -Lucy | 
| [40:16] | The jury’s back now. | 陪审团回来了 | 
| [40:17] | Thirty minutes. | 三十分钟 | 
| [40:23] | Jimmy, quick vote. | Jimmy 表决过了 | 
| [40:24] | Your case. | 你来办 | 
| [40:25] | Congratulations. | 祝贺你 | 
| [40:26] | Hey, you’ll do great, Jimmy. | 嘿 你会很棒的 Jimmy | 
| [40:27] | Good luck, buddy. | 好运 伙计 | 
| [40:49] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 | 
| [40:59] | Mr Foreman, | 首席陪审员先生 | 
| [41:00] | the jury has reached a verdict? | 陪审团已经做出判决了么 | 
| [41:02] | We have, your honour. | 是的 法官阁下 | 
| [41:03] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 | 
| [41:06] | Commonwealth versus Evelyn Mayfield, | 马萨诸塞州诉Evelyn Mayfield | 
| [41:08] | on the count of murder in the first degree. | 对于一级谋杀罪的指控 | 
| [41:11] | We find the defendant, | 我们判决被告 | 
| [41:12] | Evelyn Mayfield Evelyn Mayfield, | |
| [41:14] | not guilty. | 无罪 | 
| [41:17] | On the count of murder in the second degree, | 对于二级谋杀罪的指控 | 
| [41:20] | we find the defendant, | 我们判决被告 | 
| [41:21] | Evelyn Mayfield Evelyn Mayfield, | |
| [41:23] | guilty. | 有罪 | 
| [41:25] | The bailiff will take the defendant into custody. | 法警请将被告收押 | 
| [41:28] | The jury is dismissed with the thanks of the court. | 陪审团可以解散了 谢谢你们 | 
| [41:32] | We are adjourned. | 休庭 | 
| [41:42] | I’m filing a motion for the judge | 我会提出动议 | 
| [41:44] | to consider reducing the verdict to manslaughter. | 申请法官将罪名减轻为非蓄谋杀人 | 
| [41:48] | I don’t think it’s gonna fly, but… | 我觉得法官不会同意 但是… | 
| [41:49] | We can appeal, right? | 我们还能上诉 是吧 | 
| [41:52] | Yeah. | 是的 | 
| [41:53] | We’ll appeal, and we’ll win. | 我们要上诉 而且我们会赢的 | 
| [41:55] | It won’t end like this. | 不会是这样一个结果 | 
| [41:57] | It’ll be okay, Bobby. | 一切都会好的 Bobby | 
| [42:04] | Yeah. | 是啊 |