时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:11] | Why do you keep defending this guy? | 你为什么一再给他辩护呢 |
[00:13] | Because I like him. | 因为我喜欢他 |
[00:15] | Because he was my first client ever. | 因为他是我执业以来的第一个客户 |
[00:16] | Because he is innocent. | 因为他是无辜的 |
[00:19] | I also have the time because I didn’t get | 而且因为我没有接到石棉公司的案子 |
[00:20] | the asbestos business. | 我有的是时间 |
[00:21] | Funny. | 别逗了 |
[00:27] | Can I help you? | 有什么可以帮你吗 |
[00:28] | Delores Keplar. I’d like to hire an attorney. | 我叫Delores Keplar 我要请律师 |
[00:31] | The nastiest one you’ve got. | 我要你们当中最恶毒的 |
[00:33] | That would be Ellenor Frutt, but she just left. | 那你该找Ellenor Frutt 不过她刚走 |
[00:36] | What’s this regarding? | 是怎么回事 |
[00:37] | Divorce. | 离婚 |
[00:38] | I really don’t want a woman. | 我真的不想要女律师 |
[00:39] | I wanna… | 我想… |
[00:41] | Well, dick is an offensive word, | 呃 “屌”听起来有点粗鲁 |
[00:43] | but it’s the only one I can think of… | 但是我觉得最能形容… |
[00:44] | I know exactly what you are saying, | 我完全明白你的意思 |
[00:46] | and Ellenor Frutt is definitely what you are looking for. | Ellenor Frutt绝对就是你想要找的人 |
[00:48] | Lucy Lucy. | |
[00:49] | Bobby, hi, hum, this is Delores Keplar. | Bobby 嗨 这位是Delores Keplar |
[00:53] | This is Bobby Donnell. | 这位是Bobby Donnell |
[00:54] | -She is looking to hire an attorney… -I heard. | -她想请律师… -我听到了 |
[00:56] | Hello. | 你好 |
[00:57] | -Donnell, you are the senior partner? -Yes. | -Donnell 你是高级合伙人? -是的 |
[00:59] | -Yeah, but he is not nearly as… -Lucy. | -对 但是他比Ellenor… -Lucy |
[01:02] | We are not exactly divorce attorneys here. | 我们其实不怎么做离婚的案子 |
[01:05] | I know you are criminal. | 我知道你们是刑事辩护律师 |
[01:06] | That’s what I am looking for. | 所以正是我想要找的 |
[01:07] | Down and dirty street fighters. | 一肚子坏招 损招 |
[01:09] | My husband. | 我丈夫 |
[01:10] | Well, let’s just say I want him to hurt | 我就想让他不好过 |
[01:13] | and I am willing to pay for it. | 花多少钱我都乐意 |
[01:16] | Danny Danny? | |
[01:17] | Hey Bobby, do you have a sec? | 嗨 Bobby 你有时间吗 |
[01:19] | Kinda important. | 有要紧事 |
[01:20] | Uh, sure. Mrs… | 哦 当然 这位… |
[01:23] | Keplar Keplar. | |
[01:24] | Hum… | 嗯… |
[01:29] | Jimmy, could you sit down with Mrs. Keplar? | Jimmy 你接待一下Keplar吧 |
[01:33] | Sure. | 好 |
[01:34] | He doesn’t look very mean to me. | 我觉得他并不怎么卑鄙嘛 |
[01:36] | You’ll be surprised. | 他会让你惊喜的 |
[01:38] | Danny Danny. | |
[01:42] | Hi, James Berluti. | 嗨 我叫James Berluti |
[01:47] | I am in a little bit of a jam. | 我遇到点麻烦 |
[01:49] | What’s up? | 怎么了 |
[01:50] | Attorney-client? | 当事人保密特权? |
[01:51] | Of course. | 当然 |
[01:52] | Long story short. | 长话短说 |
[01:53] | A woman named Jenny Rains. | 有个叫Jenny Rains的女人 |
[01:56] | Girl, I should say. | 准确地说 应该是女孩 |
[01:57] | She is sixteen. | 她十六岁 |
[01:58] | Teenage hooker charged with murder. | 少年妓女 被指控谋杀罪 |
[02:00] | Murder. | 谋杀 |
[02:01] | You ** criminal law now? | 你也开始做刑事案件了吗 |
[02:03] | You will know why in a second. | 我马上就会告诉你原因 |
[02:04] | Jenny did not commit this crime. | Jenny没有杀人 |
[02:07] | I know this | 我之所以知道 |
[02:08] | because one of my biggest corporate clients | 是因为我的某个最大的公司客户 |
[02:09] | was with her at the time. | 当时正和她在一起 |
[02:11] | Playing checkers? | 找点乐子 |
[02:13] | Exactly. | 正是 |
[02:14] | He is not willing to come forward. | 他不愿意出来作证 |
[02:16] | Instead. He comes to me, | 结果 他来找了我 |
[02:17] | hires me to defend her, | 聘请我来为她辩护 |
[02:19] | evidently he feels bad for her. | 显然 他觉得对不起那个女孩 |
[02:21] | Cut to. | 现在 |
[02:22] | I am heading into trial today. | 我今天要开始庭审了 |
[02:25] | A lot of money in it. | 律师费很高 |
[02:28] | Take a hand of? | 愿意合作吗 |
[02:29] | For a trial starting today? | 接一个今天就要庭审的案子? |
[02:31] | You’ll get a continuance. | 你可以申请延期 |
[02:32] | Danny Danny. | |
[02:32] | I figure it’s probably unethical for me | 我觉得 同时代理这个女孩和我的客户 |
[02:34] | to represent the girl and my client anyway. | 本来也有违职业伦理 |
[02:36] | Oh just now you figured that out. | 哦 你现在才意识到吗 |
[02:37] | The case is circumstantial. | 这个案子只有间接证据 |
[02:39] | I thought for sure it would go away. | 我以为肯定不会有问题 |
[02:41] | And it didn’t. | 结果你错了 |
[02:44] | Like I said I am in a jam. | 我说过 我现在有麻烦了 |
[02:47] | Bobby Bobby. | |
[02:48] | For old times’ sake, bail me out. | 看在老交情的份上 帮我一把 |
[02:51] | She needs a real criminal lawyer. | 她需要一个真正的刑事辩护律师 |
[03:33] | 由于片源问题 本集结尾部分缺失 请自行酌情观看 | |
[03:42] | How do you agree to even represent her? | 你一开始为什么要接她的案子呢 |
[03:44] | Because she has been stuck | 因为法庭给她指定了 |
[03:45] | with some rookie PD, | 一个菜鸟公设辩护律师 |
[03:46] | and my client wanted her taking care of. | 而我的客户希望她得到比较好的辩护 |
[03:48] | Taking care of will be getting her an independent lawyer, | 那就应该帮她找一个独立的律师 |
[03:51] | who might track your client | 这个律师可能会把你的客户 |
[03:52] | down as a witness. | 作为证人来调查 |
[03:53] | Look. She is better off | 由我来给她辩护 |
[03:55] | with me than the PD. | 至少比某个公设辩护律师强 |
[03:57] | But you are the best I know. | 但是你是我所知道的最棒的 |
[04:03] | Who’s sitting? | 法官是谁 |
[04:04] | Nelson Nelson. | |
[04:05] | Nelson. He is not gonna give you a continuance. | Nelson 他不会同意延期的 |
[04:07] | If the DA agrees, he might. | 如果检察官同意 他可能会同意的 |
[04:11] | Who’s the DA? | 检察官是谁 |
[04:12] | Helen Gamble Helen Gamble. | |
[04:16] | I told him to meet me over here at court. | 我明明让他在法庭跟我会合的 |
[04:19] | Alright, Lucy, If he does show up there, | 行了 Lucy 如果他去了事务所 |
[04:21] | just tell him to get his ass down here quickly | 叫他马上给我滚到这里来 |
[04:22] | before the Judge issues a warrant, OK? | 不然法官就要发布强制令了 明白吗 |
[04:28] | Eari, Hey. | Eari 嗨 |
[04:29] | Ellenor Ellenor. Oh. | |
[04:31] | You get that look. | 你怎么这副表情 |
[04:32] | What look? | 什么表情 |
[04:33] | Look like a defense attorney who is missing her client. | 找不到自己当事人的辩护律师的表情 |
[04:35] | See you in short again. | 待会见 |
[04:40] | He inserted his little missile into every orifice on her body. | 他用他的”小导弹”插遍了她身上的每个洞 |
[04:45] | With me he is a little flaky piece of confetti | 在我身边 他就绵软无力 |
[04:47] | and suddenly with his secretary, he becomes Stonehenge. | 一看到他的秘书 他就一柱擎天了 |
[04:50] | Can I stop you one second? | 我可以打断一下吗 |
[04:53] | Yes. | 可以 |
[04:54] | The thing about no fault divorce, | 在无过错离婚当中 |
[04:56] | blame doesn’t become an issue. | 互相指责根本毫无意义 |
[04:58] | I want it to. | 我觉得有意义 |
[04:59] | Mrs. Keplar. | Keplar太太 |
[05:00] | These things come down to financial statement. | 关键的问题只在于财产如何分配 |
[05:02] | I want it to come down to more. | 我关心的不只是财产 |
[05:03] | Married 19 years, it has to come down to more. | 十九年的婚姻 绝不只是财产 还有更多 |
[05:08] | And by more, you mean? | 你说的更多 是指… |
[05:10] | Pain. | 痛苦 |
[05:11] | His. | 他的痛苦 |
[05:12] | He needs to hurt. | 我就是要让他不好过 |
[05:16] | Your Honor. We’d be asking for a warrant. | 法官阁下 我们请求法庭发布逮捕令 |
[05:18] | It is already 10:30 and the defendant is not present. | 已经十点半了 被告还没有到庭 |
[05:21] | Mrs. Frutt, to the information on your client’s whereabouts | Frutt女士 你知不知道你的当事人在哪里 |
[05:24] | Well, your honor, | 呃 法官阁下 |
[05:25] | if you could hold this case for just a few more minutes, | 我请求您再稍等几分钟 |
[05:27] | I am sure Mr. Sowers is on his way. | 我相信Sowers先生一定正在路上 |
[05:30] | He has to take two buses and it’s possible… | 他得转两次公交车 有可能… |
[05:33] | I think that an hour and a half | 我们已经等了一个半小时了 |
[05:34] | is long enough to wait, | 我觉得已经足够了 |
[05:36] | even taking the pitfalls of public transportation will count. | 即便考虑到恶劣的公共交通 |
[05:40] | Last call for Sowers. | 最后一次传唤Sowers |
[05:42] | Leonard Sowers Leonard Sowers. | |
[05:46] | Leonard Leonard. | |
[05:49] | I am here. | 我在这里 |
[05:50] | Hum, he is here, your Honor. | 唔 他在这里 法官阁下 |
[05:52] | He has been here all along. | 他一直就在这里 |
[05:56] | Your motion is denied. | 驳回你的动议 |
[05:58] | Your honor, I just got this case. | 法官阁下 我刚刚接到这个案子 |
[06:00] | I don’t care. | 我不管 |
[06:00] | Mr. Rogers has had it for three months. | Rogers先生三个月之前就接到这个案子了 |
[06:02] | Mr. Rogers doesn’t specialize in criminal law. | Rogers先生不是刑事辩护领域的专业律师 |
[06:05] | Then he should’ve thought about it before now. | 那他早就应该考虑到这个问题 |
[06:07] | Your honor, come on. | 法官阁下 拜托 |
[06:11] | I will give you the morning to get up to speed. | 我再给你一个上午的时间熟悉案情 |
[06:12] | After lunch, we’ll go. | 午饭之后 我们继续 |
[06:15] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[06:20] | Great. | 真要命 |
[06:21] | Sorry, Bobby. | 对不起 Bobby |
[06:22] | You should probably meet with her. | 你也许应该见见她 |
[06:36] | What’s going on, Leonard? | 怎么回事 Leonard |
[06:37] | I am not feeling too good. | 我觉得不大舒服 |
[06:38] | I need to get a continuance. | 我得申请延期 |
[06:40] | Well, that’s not gonna happen. | 那是不可能的 |
[06:41] | We talked about this | 我们之前就说过 |
[06:42] | This is the third time the case has been sent for trial. | 这已经是第三次安排开庭了 |
[06:44] | Ellie Ellie? | |
[06:45] | Oh God. | 哦 天哪 |
[06:46] | I’m practically getting a contact high off your breath. | 你的呼吸都能让我中毒了 |
[06:49] | I need to calm my nerve. | 我得让自己放松一下 |
[06:51] | Being a defendant is stressful. | 当被告压力很大的 |
[06:52] | Well, being your attorney is stressful. | 哦 当你的律师压力才大 |
[06:56] | You know I asked you | 我告诉过你 |
[06:57] | to tone down what you wear for trial. | 叫你上庭的时候穿得端正一点 |
[06:59] | The last thing we need is | 我们最不希望出现的情况就是 |
[07:00] | for a jury to think you look like a drug dealer. | 陪审团觉得你看起来就是个毒贩 |
[07:03] | I don’t understand. | 我不明白 |
[07:04] | They got Denny Staples for this. | 他们已经抓到Denny Staples了 |
[07:05] | Why do they gotta keep coming after me? | 他们为什么还一定要逮着我不放呢 |
[07:07] | Because you were in the apartment | 因为当警察搜查他家的时候 |
[07:09] | when the police raided it. | 你就在他家里 |
[07:10] | And just because the co-defendant pleads guilty | 虽然同案被告已经认罪了 |
[07:12] | doesn’t mean they dismiss your case. | 但并不表示对你的指控就会被撤销 |
[07:15] | How many times do I have to explain that? | 我还要向你解释多少遍 |
[07:17] | You are certainly on their side. | 你明显是跟他们一边的 |
[07:18] | I am on your side. | 我是跟你一边的 |
[07:20] | I have been on your side for nine years, | 九年来 我一直是跟你站在一边的 |
[07:22] | you big dope. | 你这个大傻瓜 |
[07:26] | Leonard, listen to me. | Leonard 听我说 |
[07:29] | With your priors, if we lose here, | 因为你有前科 如果这个案子我们输了 |
[07:31] | you are looking at 20 years. | 你可能被判20年 |
[07:37] | Do you get that? | 你明白没有 |
[07:39] | Because I really need you to get that. | 你一定要给我听明白了 |
[07:45] | Who am I talking to here? | 我是不是在对牛弹琴 |
[07:50] | We both heard the scream. | 我俩都听到有尖叫声 |
[07:52] | And we looked out of the window, that’s when we saw him. | 我们从窗户往外看 结果就看到他了 |
[07:54] | The victim. | 受害人 |
[07:57] | And somebody running away. | 还看到有人跑走 |
[07:59] | The man I was with just left. | 跟我在一起的男人就离开了 |
[08:00] | He wanted to get out of the area before the police came. | 他想赶在警察来之前离开那个地方 |
[08:03] | And what did you do? | 那你做了什么 |
[08:04] | I went down the street | 我跑到街上去 |
[08:05] | to check on the guy who got stabbed. | 看看那个被捅伤的人怎么样了 |
[08:07] | And that’s when the police came and arrested me, | 这时警察到了现场 他们就把我逮捕了 |
[08:10] | saying I did it. | 说我是凶手 |
[08:10] | OK, Jenny, um, | Jenny 唔 |
[08:12] | Mr. Rogers has some conflicts of interest here. | Rogers先生在本案中有一些利益冲突 |
[08:15] | You know this. | 你知道的吧 |
[08:16] | Yes. | 知道 |
[08:18] | The man I was with was his client. | 跟我一起的那个男人是他的当事人 |
[08:20] | Yeah, and since Mr. Rogers has to | 对 由于Rogers先生必须 |
[08:21] | look out for his client, | 维护他自己的当事人的利益 |
[08:22] | he won’t tell you to reveal this man’s name. | 他不能要求你披露这个男子的名字 |
[08:24] | He never told me his name. | 他从来没有告诉我他叫什么名字 |
[08:26] | Just the same, we have to try to find him. | 都一样 我们必须找到他 |
[08:29] | Bobby Bobby. | |
[08:30] | I am sorry, Danny, I cannot not tell her this. | 对不起 Danny 这些话我不得不说 |
[08:32] | The reason I came to you. | 我之所以找你来 |
[08:34] | Jenny Jenny. | |
[08:35] | I’m gonna talk to Mr. Rogers for a second | 我跟Rogers先生说几句话 |
[08:37] | and then I’ll be back. | 我一会就回来 |
[08:45] | I told you what I told you in confidence. | 我告诉你的那些情况都是应该保密的 |
[08:47] | Are you nuts? | 你疯了吗 |
[08:48] | Of course she has to know this. | 这些情况她当然有权知道 |
[08:50] | In a textbook world, yes. | 照着书本上的说法 是这样 |
[08:51] | No, Danny, in this world. | 不 Danny 在现实中就是这样 |
[08:53] | She can’t be protecting | 这个人是她的不在场证明 |
[08:54] | the identity of her alibi. | 她不能保护他的真实身份 |
[08:55] | She is up on murder. | 她面对着谋杀指控 |
[08:57] | Look at it from our side. | 那从我们的角度想一想 |
[08:58] | My client, he has no duty to come forward, | 我的当事人 他没有义务出来帮忙 |
[09:01] | no duty to help out getting her a lawyer. | 也没有义务来帮她找一个律师 |
[09:03] | So why should he be punished for doing so? | 他已经这么做了 难道应该因此受到惩罚吗 |
[09:05] | Well, I doubt if he’ll get charged for it | 我不认为他会受到指控 |
[09:07] | It’s not the criminal charges. | 问题不在于刑事指控 |
[09:08] | He is a CEO, married, four kids, | 他是公司的CEO 有妻子 四个孩子 |
[09:10] | and by the way, she’s underage, | 顺便再说一句 她还没成年 |
[09:12] | he would get charged. | 所以他会被提起检控 |
[09:13] | Danny, the girl can’t be counseled | Danny 我们不能建议这个女孩 |
[09:15] | to conceal her alibi. | 隐瞒自己不在场证人的身份 |
[09:17] | I know you know this. | 我知道你明白这一点 |
[09:18] | She didn’t get his name anyway, so… | 她本来也不知道他叫什么名字 所以… |
[09:20] | You know his name. | 你知道他的名字 |
[09:21] | Attorney-client privilege. | 律师-当事人保密特权 |
[09:22] | I couldn’t give it to you even if I wanted to. | 就算我想告诉你 我也不能告诉你 |
[09:23] | So you’re willing to ignore the rules | 对某个当事人 你可以忽视规则 |
[09:25] | for one client but not for the other. | 而对另一个当事人 你就区别对待 |
[09:27] | That’s not fair. | 你不能这么说我 |
[09:28] | Look. | 听着 |
[09:29] | We can debate this all day. | 我们可以争论一整天 |
[09:31] | Bottom line, we both want to help out that girl. | 归根结底 我们都想帮助这个女孩 |
[09:34] | Let’s do what we can. | 我们尽力而为吧 |
[09:39] | Oh no, you don’t. | 哦 不行 休想 |
[09:40] | You’ve never done a divorce case. | 你从来没有做过离婚案子 |
[09:42] | This’ll be a good experience. | 这是积累经验的好机会 |
[09:44] | Sounds like a Lujeck, | 你像是在推案子 |
[09:45] | every Lujeck is so | 人们每次推案子的时候 |
[09:46] | they can get experience. | 都说这是积累经验的机会 |
[09:47] | Rebecca, you heard that woman. | Rebecca 你听到那个女人怎么说的 |
[09:49] | She wants somebody nasty. | 她想找个卑鄙阴险的律师 |
[09:51] | Now, do you think that help persuade me? | 怎么 你就是这样来说服别人的吗 |
[09:55] | How about we do it together? | 我们一起做怎么样 |
[09:57] | Having you by my side, | 有你坐在我旁边 |
[09:57] | maybe it’ll make me nastier. | 也许我看起来会显得更卑鄙一点 |
[10:02] | I didn’t mean how that came out. | 我不是那个意思 |
[10:07] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[10:08] | Hey Kendall. | 嘿 Kendall |
[10:11] | Is my dad here? | 我爸在吗 |
[10:12] | I think he’s down posting a bond. | 他大概去交保释券去了吧 |
[10:14] | He should be back any second. | 他很快就会回来 |
[10:16] | OK. | 好 |
[10:23] | You burn. You know that? | 你超辣的 你知道吗 |
[10:24] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[10:27] | Uh, You like movies? | 呃 你喜欢看电影吗 |
[10:31] | Good ones. | 好电影我就喜欢 |
[10:32] | Maybe you want to go to the movies sometime, with me? | 也许改天有空可以去看电影 我们一起? |
[10:37] | You mean as friends? | 你是说作为朋友? |
[10:39] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[10:40] | Yeah, friends. | 是啊 朋友 |
[10:42] | Well, um. | 呃 嗯 |
[10:44] | Sure. | 当然 |
[10:46] | Excellent. | 那好极了 |
[10:51] | Mrs. Keplar. | Keplar太太 |
[10:52] | This is Rebecca Washington. | 这位是Rebecca Washington |
[10:54] | She’s going to do this case with me. | 她会跟我一起做这个案子 |
[10:56] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[10:58] | Hi. | 嗨 |
[11:00] | Good. | 很好 |
[11:01] | She looks meaner. | 她看起来要卑鄙一点 |
[11:04] | Much. | 卑鄙得多 |
[11:08] | Then we entered the residence | 在取得了搜查令之后 |
[11:09] | pursuant to a search warrant. | 我们就进入了他的住处 |
[11:10] | And what did you discover? | 你们发现了什么 |
[11:12] | Another subject Denny Staples | 另外有个叫Denny Staples的人 |
[11:13] | was seated at the kitchen table. | 正坐在餐桌边 |
[11:15] | On top of the table, right in front of that subject, | 在餐桌上 就在这个人面前 |
[11:18] | was a large bag of a white crystalline substance, | 有一大包白色结晶状物质 |
[11:21] | I believed to be cocaine. | 我认为是可卡因 |
[11:23] | Did you discover anything else in that kitchen area? | 你在厨房里还有没有发现其他东西 |
[11:26] | Yes. Also on the kitchen table, | 有 还是在餐桌上 |
[11:28] | there was a beam scale | 有一杠秤 |
[11:29] | and numerous empty mini zip-lock baggies. | 还有大量空的用拉链封口的小袋子 |
[11:32] | These are items commonly used to package drugs for sale. | 这些东西通常是用来封装毒品以备贩卖 |
[11:36] | Anybody else present in the apartment at that time? | 当时他的住处还有没有其他人 |
[11:40] | I found Mr. Sowers, the defendant, | 我发现Sowers先生 就是本案被告 |
[11:42] | lying down on a sofa in the living room. | 正睡在客厅的沙发上 |
[11:45] | Did you notice anything unusual | 你有没有注意到被告身上 |
[11:47] | about the defendant? | 有什么不同寻常之处 |
[11:48] | Yes, lying on his chest was a bag of cocaine. | 有 在他的胸口放着一袋可卡因 |
[11:52] | Packaged in the same plastic packaging material | 是用塑料袋包装的 |
[11:55] | that was recovered from the kitchen table. | 跟餐桌上的那些袋子相吻合 |
[12:03] | And what did you do at that time? | 当时你们怎么处理的 |
[12:05] | I placed the defendant under arrest | 我立即逮捕了被告 |
[12:07] | and another officer placed Mr. Staples | 另一位警官在厨房 |
[12:09] | under arrest in the kitchen. | 逮捕了Staples先生 |
[12:10] | We recovered the seized items | 我们查封了现场的物品 |
[12:12] | and then they were inventoried | 然后Torrel警官对这些物品 |
[12:13] | by Officer Torrel. | 进行了清点归档 |
[12:15] | The suspect narcotics | 我们怀疑是毒品的那些物质 |
[12:16] | were sent to the crime lab | 被送到犯罪实验室 |
[12:17] | for testing and analysis, | 进行检测和化验 |
[12:19] | which proved positive for cocaine. | 化验结果证明是可卡因 |
[12:32] | Officer Smitko, | Smitko警官 |
[12:33] | my client wasn’t named | 你们当时正在执行的搜查令上 |
[12:35] | in the search warrant you were executing, was he? | 并没有列出我的当事人的名字 对不对 |
[12:37] | No, he wasn’t. | 是的 的确没有 |
[12:38] | In fact, the only person named in the warrant | 事实上 搜查令上仅仅指明了 |
[12:39] | was Denny Staples. | Denny Staples一个人 |
[12:41] | That’s right. | 是这样的 |
[12:42] | And who let you into the apartment that morning? | 那天早上是谁开门让你们进去的 |
[12:44] | We entered forcibly. | 我们是强行闯进去的 |
[12:46] | You broke down the front door? | 你们撞开了前门? |
[12:48] | Correct. | 是的 |
[12:49] | And how many officers were involved with that raid? | 这次的搜查行动总共有多少警察参加 |
[12:52] | Eight altogether. | 一共有八个 |
[12:53] | And did you announce | 你们进去的时候 |
[12:54] | your office when you entered? | 有没有表明自己的警察身份 |
[12:55] | Yes, we did. | 是 有的 |
[12:57] | So, the noise of the door being broken down, | 这么说 你们把门砰然撞开 |
[13:00] | eight officers entering | 八个警察冲进去 |
[13:02] | and you are saying Leonard was just | 你说Leonard仍然 |
[13:04] | lying peacefully on the sofa, | 若无其事地睡在沙发上 |
[13:05] | bag of drugs in full view. | 一包毒品暴露在你们面前 |
[13:07] | He appeared to be passed out. | 他看起来像是睡着了 |
[13:09] | And did he wake up when you entered? | 当你们进去的时候 他有没有醒过来 |
[13:10] | No. | 没有 |
[13:11] | I had to shake him a little to wake him up. | 我不得不过去把他摇醒 |
[13:13] | So you don’t know | 所以你并不清楚 |
[13:15] | if he even knew the drugs were on his chest. | 也许他根本不知道毒品在自己胸口上 |
[13:17] | How could he not know? | 他怎么可能不知道 |
[13:18] | Well, you didn’t see Leonard | 你并没有看到Leonard |
[13:20] | placed the bag on his chest, did you? | 把毒品放在自己胸口上 对不对 |
[13:22] | No, it was there when I entered. | 没有 我进去的时候毒品已经在那里了 |
[13:23] | So, isn’t it possible | 所以 完全有可能 |
[13:25] | that somebody placed it on his chest | 是其他人在他睡着之后 |
[13:27] | after he fell asleep. | 放到他胸口上去的 |
[13:28] | Anything’s possible, but… | 任何事都有可能 但是… |
[13:30] | You don’t know who put it there, do you? | 你并不知道是谁放上去的 对不对 |
[13:33] | No. | 不知道 |
[13:36] | I have no interest in hell, | 我对下地狱不感兴趣 |
[13:38] | but I’d sooner go there to rot, | 但是我宁愿下地狱 烂在那里 |
[13:40] | before giving her a penny, | 也不愿意多给她一分钱 |
[13:42] | not a dime, not a nickel, | 更不要说一毛钱 一块钱 |
[13:44] | but a penny more than I have to, | 一分钱都不愿意多给 |
[13:46] | except she agrees to stick it up her ass. | 除非她同意拿硬币塞进她的屁眼里 |
[13:49] | In that case, I’d hold out a silver dollar. | 这样的话 我倒是乐意贡献一块钱的银币 |
[13:51] | Am I being too subtle? | 我是不是太随和了点 |
[13:52] | You see this is what I lived with, | 看到没有 这就是跟我一起生活的人 |
[13:54] | all his anger over being short, fat and witless | 他知道自己又矮又胖又蠢 |
[13:55] | he directs towards me. | 他把怨气都发泄到我身上 |
[13:57] | All my misery I take out on you | 我之所以对你发泄不幸 |
[13:59] | because you inspire it. | 是因为所有的不幸都是你造成的 |
[14:01] | Alright. But Let’s try to be constructive here. | 行了 我们大家都多一点建设性好不好 |
[14:04] | I didn’t hire you to be constructive. | 我花钱请你来不是要你的建设性 |
[14:05] | I hired you to get even. | 我是要你来对付他 |
[14:06] | Could I interject just for a second? | 我可不可以稍微打断一下 |
[14:08] | We are not talking about a lot of money here | 我们要分割的财产数目并不大 |
[14:10] | and the division is pretty statutory. | 法律对如何分割也有明文规定 |
[14:12] | I’m quite happy to give her what she’s entitled to | 我很乐意分给她应得的部分 |
[14:14] | as long she spends that much | 好用来支付她为了 |
[14:15] | in legal fees trying to get it. | 得到这笔钱而付出的律师费 |
[14:17] | Alright. | 够了 |
[14:18] | Mr. Keplar, that remark will come back to cost you. | Keplar先生 你说的这句话会让你付出代价 |
[14:20] | Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 |
[14:21] | I can understand how someone | 我能理解为什么有些律师 |
[14:23] | could represent murders, rapists. | 可以为谋杀犯 强奸犯辩护 |
[14:26] | They’re human beings too. | 他们毕竟也是人 |
[14:27] | Here’s a tip. | 我给你个建议 |
[14:28] | She isn’t. | 她不属于人类 |
[14:30] | Deep down she’s as much the pig | 她外表看起来像头猪 |
[14:31] | as she looks like on the surface. | 而本质上她的确就是头猪 |
[14:33] | I dreamed of a meat hook running up your rectum. | 我梦想着有一只杀猪钩穿进你的直肠 |
[14:37] | It’s the only way I can sleep peaceful. | 只有这样我晚上才能睡得安稳 |
[14:40] | I’m not comfortable with this dialogue. | 我不喜欢这样的谈判 |
[14:45] | I know it had to be around 10:30 | 我想应该是十点半左右 |
[14:47] | coz that’s when I left the restaurant, | 因为我是那个时候离开餐馆的 |
[14:49] | which is maybe a mile from there. | 餐馆离那里大概有一英里 |
[14:52] | Can you tell us what you saw? | 能不能告诉我们你看到了什么 |
[14:54] | Basically, two people were arguing. | 我看到两个人在争吵 |
[14:57] | The guy looked kind of heated | 那个男人看起来情绪很激动 |
[14:59] | and the woman was dressed like a prostitute. | 那个女人穿得像个妓女 |
[15:03] | As we turned the corner, | 当我们转过街角 |
[15:04] | we saw a woman running in the opposite direction | 我们看到有个女人从尸体所在的位置 |
[15:07] | away from the body. | 向远处跑去 |
[15:07] | What did you do then? | 你们当时做了什么 |
[15:09] | I let my partner out to tend to the victim. | 我让我的搭档下车查看受害人 |
[15:12] | I then continued my pursuit of the woman. | 我继续追赶那个女人 |
[15:14] | She ran down the alley. | 她沿着小巷向前跑 |
[15:16] | I got out and chased her on foot. | 我下车徒步追赶她 |
[15:18] | And eventually I caught up to her. | 最后我追上了她 |
[15:20] | I then placed her under arrest. | 然后我就逮捕了她 |
[15:22] | Do you see that woman in this courtroom, Officer? | 那个女人今天在法庭上吗 警官 |
[15:25] | I do, the defendant. | 是的 就是被告 |
[15:27] | You never saw her do anything to the victim. | 你没有看到她对受害人做任何事情 |
[15:31] | No, I didn’t. | 是的 没有看到 |
[15:32] | You just saw her run away. | 你只看到她跑走 |
[15:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:35] | And when you caught up to her, did she say anything? | 当你追上她的时候 她说了什么没有 |
[15:38] | She denied stabbing the man. | 她说人不是她捅伤的 |
[15:40] | See any blood on her clothing? | 你发现她衣服上有血迹吗 |
[15:43] | No. | 没有 |
[15:43] | Find a murder weapon? | 找到凶器了吗 |
[15:45] | No. | 没有 |
[15:47] | Thank you, Officer. | 谢谢 警官 |
[15:50] | You have to testify. | 你必须出庭作证 |
[15:52] | Why were you seen near the body? | 你为什么会在尸体附近 |
[15:56] | Only you can answer that question. | 只有你自己能回答这个问题 |
[15:57] | OK. | 好的 |
[15:59] | Now look, I’ll tell you again. | 听着 我再跟你说一遍 |
[16:00] | If we could just find this guy you were with… | 如果我们能够找到跟你一起的那个男人… |
[16:01] | Mr. Donnell. | Donnell先生 |
[16:02] | Even if I could find out who this guy is. | 即使我真的能找到这个人 |
[16:04] | I don’t really want to turn him in. | 我也不想把他的身份暴露出来 |
[16:07] | He’s helping me by giving me lawyers, paying for them. | 是他帮我找了律师 帮我付了律师费 |
[16:12] | I’m not about to betray the guy. | 我不能背叛这个人 |
[16:14] | Well, that’s admirable, Jenny. | 你精神可嘉 Jenny |
[16:17] | Are you ready to be convicted of murder? | 那你准备等着被判谋杀罪吗 |
[16:19] | Mr. Rogers thinks we’ll win. | Rogers先生觉得我们能赢 |
[16:22] | It’s close enough to get nervous. | 结果很难预料 你至少应该感到担心 |
[16:26] | What about calling Rogers to the stand? | 可不可以考虑传唤Rogers出庭作证 |
[16:28] | Let him testify as to the whole situation. | 让他说出整个事情的经过 |
[16:30] | What do you mean? | 你什么意思 |
[16:31] | Rogers can testify his client was with the girl | Rogers可以证明在谋杀案发生的时候 |
[16:34] | at the time of the murders | 他的当事人跟这个女孩在一起 |
[16:35] | but attorney-client privilege prevents him | 但是有”律师-当事人”保密特权的限制 |
[16:38] | from saying who his client is. | 他不能披露他的当事人是谁 |
[16:39] | It would be hearsay. | 这样就成了传闻证据 |
[16:41] | Declaration against interests. | 这是对自己不利的陈述 |
[16:43] | The guy was with | 这个当事人当时跟 |
[16:43] | an underage hooker. | 一个未成年的妓女在一起 |
[16:46] | My advice is, go to the judge now. | 我的建议是 马上去找法官 |
[16:48] | This is way too dicey, Bobby, even for you. | Bobby 即使对你而言 这也太冒险了 |
[16:51] | Anonymous hearsay? | 匿名传闻证据? |
[16:54] | Is it ethical to try that? | 这样做符合职业伦理吗 |
[16:55] | Well, I don’t know, | 呃 我不知道 |
[16:56] | but it seems neither of them | 但是照我看 他们俩都没有 |
[16:58] | is looking for anything material. | 什么物质上的目的 |
[16:59] | They just want to be satisfied | 他们只想让对方不好过 |
[17:01] | the other’s miserable. | 这样他们就心满意足了 |
[17:02] | I’m not very good at play acting. | 我可不太擅长演戏 |
[17:04] | I couldn’t convince my mother | 小时候我都没法说服我妈 |
[17:05] | to let me stay home from school | 让我呆在家不用上学 |
[17:06] | even when I had a fever. | 哪怕我是真的生病了 |
[17:09] | We can start with Delores, | 我们可以先解决Doleres |
[17:10] | then do James. | 然后再对付James |
[17:13] | But it means kind of lying to our clients. | 但是这意味着要对我们的当事人撒谎 |
[17:16] | Mr. Berluti, | Berluti先生 |
[17:18] | we’re kind of lying to them anyway | 我们一直在假装同情他们 |
[17:20] | pretending to be sympathetic. | 这已经是在撒谎了 |
[17:21] | They’re awful people. | 他们俩都不是什么好鸟 |
[17:25] | Well, it’s just an idea. | 只是我的建议而已 |
[17:26] | If you think that… | 如果你觉得… |
[17:27] | No, let’s do it. | 不 就这么办吧 |
[17:30] | What do you mean he asked you out? | 什么叫做他约你出去 |
[17:32] | He asked me to go to the movies with him | 他约我跟他一起去看电影 |
[17:34] | What did you say? | 你怎么说的 |
[17:37] | Well, um, I meant to say no. | 呃 嗯 我本来想拒绝的 |
[17:40] | You meant to say no? | 你本来想拒绝? |
[17:41] | I did. | 是的 |
[17:42] | Yeah, but it just came out sort of… | 对啊 可是我说出口的时候却是… |
[17:46] | yes | 好的 |
[17:47] | What? | 什么 |
[17:48] | Look, he said let’s go as friends | 他说我们作为朋友去看电影 |
[17:51] | and he’s a nice kid and I thought… | 他是个好孩子 所以我想… |
[17:53] | You got to tell him no, Lucy. | 你应该拒绝他 Lucy |
[17:57] | I, I will. | 我 我会的 |
[17:59] | You better be there to talk to him afterwards | 在我拒绝他之后 你最好马上跟他谈谈 |
[18:01] | ’cause if he’s got this big crush. | 因为如果他真那么喜欢我 |
[18:04] | He’s gonna be hurt. | 他会很伤心的 |
[18:08] | He’s eleven. | 他才十一岁 |
[18:19] | Me testify? | 我出庭作证? |
[18:21] | Just tell it like it is. | 你就据实说一下事情的经过 |
[18:23] | You think Nelson would go for it? | 你觉得Nelson会同意吗 |
[18:24] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[18:25] | ask for some offer of proof. | 他会要求提供一些证据 |
[18:29] | Are you willing to do it? | 你愿不愿意作证 |
[18:30] | Well, | 呃 |
[18:34] | I’d have to convince my client. | 我得先说服我的当事人 |
[18:36] | But I think he’d go along. | 不过我觉得他会同意的 |
[18:38] | Suppose Gamble then subpoenas my client list. | 如果Gamble要调取我的客户名单怎么办 |
[18:41] | Starts an investigation, | 启动调查 |
[18:42] | identity isn’t privileged. | 客户的身份不属于保密特权的范围 |
[18:44] | I think we can make an argument that in this case | 我觉得我们可以主张在这个案子中 |
[18:46] | it should be. | 属于保密特权 |
[18:48] | It’s risky. | 风险太大了 |
[18:52] | Let’s first see how Jenny does on the stand, alright? | 我们先看看Jenny出庭作证的效果吧 |
[18:54] | And then, then we can make a decision. | 然后我们再做决定 |
[19:03] | Twenty years? | 二十年? |
[19:05] | Yes. | 对 |
[19:06] | And I have to serve it? | 而且我真的要在监狱服刑? |
[19:10] | Leonard, haven’t you been listening to me? | Leonard 你到底有没有听我说话 |
[19:13] | OK. Look. | 听我说 |
[19:15] | Tomorrow Staples’ going to testify. | Staples明天会出庭作证 |
[19:17] | If he does OK. | 如果他发挥良好 |
[19:18] | Hey hey hey hey. | 嘿 嘿 嘿 嘿 |
[19:20] | We haven’t lost yet, come on. | 我们还没有输呢 别这样 |
[19:23] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[19:26] | Alright. Alright. Come on. | 好了 好了 别这样 |
[19:27] | This is what we need. | 你应该这样做 |
[19:29] | You have to go home and sleep. | 你得回家去睡一觉 |
[19:31] | You have to get some rest. | 你得好好休息一下 |
[19:32] | We don’t want you falling asleep in court anymore. | 你再也不能在法庭上睡着了 |
[19:34] | OK. | 好 |
[19:35] | Clean and sober tomorrow, OK? | 明天把自己收拾整齐 保持清醒 好吗 |
[19:38] | Can you do that, Leonard? | 你能做到吗 Leonard |
[19:44] | Yeah. | 能 |
[19:49] | OK. | 好的 |
[20:02] | Denny, I thought you were gonna shave. | Denny 我还以为你已经过刮过脸了 |
[20:04] | I’m a convicted drug dealer, Ms. Frutt. | 我是个已经定罪的毒品贩子 Frutt小姐 |
[20:06] | You really think people are gonna think less of me | 你真的以为只要我把胡子刮了 |
[20:08] | coz I got beard? | 人们对我的印象就会好一点吗 |
[20:09] | Well, they might think less of you | 但是如果你看起来像查尔斯·曼森 |
[20:10] | if you look like Charles Manson. | 人们对你的印象肯定很坏 |
[20:11] | Look. I owned up to the truth and pled guilty to this. | 我已经承认了真相 也认了罪 |
[20:14] | How can they be going after Leonard? | 他们为什么还要抓着Leonard不放 |
[20:15] | Because they are. | 因为这是他们的工作 |
[20:17] | And you sticking up for him, | 你愿意站出来帮他 |
[20:19] | the way you look, this could hurt us. | 可是你现在这个样子 你会害了他 |
[20:21] | Denny, you promised that you would shave | Denny 你向我承诺在你出庭作证之前 |
[20:23] | before they brought you over. | 要把胡子刮了 |
[20:26] | What size jacket do you wear? | 你穿什么尺寸的衬衣 |
[20:29] | Ah. 42 regular. | 42 中号 |
[20:34] | Pick up, Lucy. | 快接电话 Lucy |
[20:35] | For once in your life do something useful | 你这辈子总该做点有用的事情 |
[20:38] | and pick up. | 快接电话 |
[20:39] | We heard this awful scream. | 我们听到一声尖利的惨叫 |
[20:42] | By “we”, you mean? | 你说的”我们”指的是? |
[20:44] | The man I was with. | 跟我一起的有个男人 |
[20:45] | Client? | 你的客人? |
[20:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:47] | Do you know who this man is? | 你认识这个人吗 |
[20:49] | No. He was just some businessman. | 不认识 我只知道他是做生意的 |
[20:52] | And as soon as we looked down and saw, | 于是我们马上朝尖叫声的方向看过去 |
[20:56] | well, this man was lying in the street | 我们看到有个男人躺在街上 |
[20:58] | and somebody was running off. | 另外有个人在逃跑 |
[20:59] | And it was obviously a crime. | 显然是发生了凶案 |
[21:01] | And my trick, this man, | 而跟我一起的这个男人 |
[21:03] | he just wanted to get out of the area | 他只想赶在警察到现场之前 |
[21:04] | before the police came and so he took off. | 离开那个地方 于是他就走了 |
[21:07] | And what did you do Jenny? | 那你做了什么 Jenny |
[21:09] | I went down the street to help the man. | 我跑过去想帮那个男人 |
[21:11] | He was bleeding. | 他当时在流血 |
[21:14] | I was about to put my hand on the wound | 我准备把手按在他的伤口上 |
[21:16] | to try and stop the bleeding. | 帮他止血 |
[21:18] | But then I heard the police car’s coming | 但是接着我就听到了警车开过来的警笛声 |
[21:19] | and I suddenly thought this can’t look good for me. | 我突然意识到 这样会给我带来麻烦 |
[21:22] | They can help him. | 警察可以帮他 |
[21:23] | So then I took off. | 于是我就跑了 |
[21:24] | But you were caught. | 但是你被抓住了 |
[21:25] | Yeah. | 对 |
[21:27] | But I didn’t stab him. | 但是我没有拿刀捅他 |
[21:31] | You can’t threaten custody. | 你不能拿监护权来说事儿 |
[21:33] | He already has weekends. | 他已经只在周末探视了 |
[21:34] | Everything subject to change circumstances. | 情况总是随时变化的 |
[21:36] | We can re-file any time. | 我们随时都可以提出新的要求 |
[21:38] | What’s changed? | 什么情况变化了 |
[21:39] | My mood. | 我的想法 |
[21:39] | And the presumption goes to the mothers. | 监护权总是优先考虑母亲的 |
[21:41] | -So we… -Wait a second. | -所以我们… -且慢 |
[21:43] | Are you using the kid as…as leverage? | 你是在利用孩子作为…作为筹码? |
[21:45] | I’ll use whatever I have to. | 我可以利用一切手段 |
[21:47] | You know why Mrs. Pierce? | 知道为什么吗 Pierce太太 |
[21:48] | This isn’t about fairness here. | 我们要的不是公平 |
[21:50] | It’s not about justice. | 我们要的也不是正义 |
[21:51] | It’s about money and hurt. | 我们要的是钱 要报复 |
[21:54] | Your client’s gonna give till he hurts. | 你的当事人一定会让步 我们会要他好看 |
[21:57] | Or I’ll walk into court and call him unfit. | 我们会上法庭 说他是个不合格的父亲 |
[21:59] | He’ll not only be short and fat and stupid. | 他不仅是又矮又肥又蠢 |
[22:02] | He’ll be an unfit dad. | 他还是个不合格的父亲 |
[22:04] | You ask him how ugly he wants this to be. | 你问问他 他敢用多少下流卑鄙的手段 |
[22:06] | ‘Cause with me, there’s no limits. | 因为在我这边 我没有任何底限 |
[22:08] | If I screw up a few innocent kids along the way, | 如果我因此毁掉几个无辜的孩子 |
[22:11] | tough. | 很抱歉 |
[22:12] | With him as their dad, | 不过有他那样的父亲 |
[22:13] | they’re probably screwed up already. | 他们或许早就已经被毁掉了 |
[22:22] | Sorry, I had to get tough. | 对不起 我不得不强硬一点 |
[22:24] | That’s OK. | 没关系 |
[22:27] | I brought my trimmers too, | 我把自己的剪刀带来了 |
[22:28] | I want to neaten his hair. | 我想修剪一下他的头发 |
[22:29] | Are these forty-two regular? | 这是42码中号吗 |
[22:31] | Uh, I brought one long. | 呃 我带了件长一点的 |
[22:32] | They run different. | 尺码不一样 |
[22:33] | I want to pancake these shadows under your eyes. | 我得帮你画一下眼睛下面的阴影 |
[22:35] | It’ll come right off. | 让你看起来精神点 |
[22:37] | I appreciate what you guys are doing for Lenny. | 谢谢你们为Lenny费心做的这些事情 |
[22:39] | Yeah, well after what you did for him. | 是啊 在你惹出这些麻烦之后 |
[22:41] | I am here now, aren’t I? | 我要帮他出庭作证 不是吗 |
[22:43] | Yes, yes you are. | 对 没错 |
[22:44] | And you’re going to be handsome when I’m done with you | 等我打理完之后 你会变得帅气迷人 |
[22:46] | I’ll be out in 7 cupcake. | 我七年之后就可以出来了 美女 |
[22:49] | Like, seriously, no, thank you. | 说真的 免了吧 谢谢 |
[22:54] | This client was a businessman? | 这个客人是做生意的? |
[22:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:57] | Upon searching you | 那天晚上警察对你身上 |
[22:59] | and your apartment that night, | 和住处都进行了搜查 |
[23:00] | the police found only 42 dollars in cash. | 他们只搜出了42块钱现金 |
[23:03] | Do you work for 42 dollars? | 你的收费只有42块钱吗 |
[23:05] | He hadn’t paid me yet. | 他还没有付钱给我 |
[23:07] | Your clients don’t pay you in advance? | 你的客人不用事先付钱给你? |
[23:09] | He was about to pay me. | 他正准备付钱给我 |
[23:11] | This businessman? | 这个生意人? |
[23:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:13] | Could you describe what he looks like? | 你能不能描述一下他长什么样子 |
[23:15] | This businessman. | 这个生意人 |
[23:19] | He was kind of tall, brown hair. | 他长得有点高 头发是棕褐色的 |
[23:22] | How old? | 多大年纪 |
[23:24] | I think around 40 or something. | 我想大概是四十岁左右 |
[23:25] | What color eyes? | 眼睛是什么颜色 |
[23:28] | I think blue. | 我想是蓝色的 |
[23:30] | When the police questioned you that first night, | 那天晚上当警察第一次询问你的时候 |
[23:33] | why didn’t you tell them about this businessman? | 你为什么没有提到这个生意人 |
[23:35] | Well, I didn’t want to be arrested for prostitution. | 呃 我不想因为卖淫被逮捕 |
[23:38] | So you lied to avoid arrest. | 因为不想被逮捕 所以你就说谎 |
[23:40] | Yeah. | 是的 |
[23:41] | You lie when you have to? | 必要的时候你随时可以说谎吗? |
[23:42] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:43] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[23:44] | You said this businessman was fortyish | 你说这个生意人四十来岁 |
[23:47] | with brown eyes? | 眼睛是棕褐色的? |
[23:48] | Yes. | 对 |
[23:49] | En see actually you said his hair was brown, | 其实 你之前说他的头发是棕褐色的 |
[23:52] | his eyes were blue. | 他的眼睛是蓝色的 |
[23:53] | What colors are they? | 到底是什么颜色 |
[23:53] | I will give you two out of three. | 我让你三选二吧 |
[23:54] | Objection. | 反对 |
[23:55] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[23:57] | What color were his eyes? | 他的眼睛是什么颜色 |
[23:59] | Blue. | 蓝色 |
[23:59] | And you have never heard from this businessman again? | 你之后再也没有跟这个生意人联系过? |
[24:03] | No. | 没有 |
[24:04] | When the police first apprehended you, | 当警察第一次逮捕你的时候 |
[24:07] | you said you didn’t stab him. | 你说你没有捅伤他 |
[24:08] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:09] | How did you know he was stabbed? | 你怎么知道他是被捅伤的 |
[24:11] | Well, he looked like he was stabbed. | 呃 看上去他像是被捅伤的 |
[24:12] | You didn’t see him get stabbed. | 你没有看到他被捅伤 |
[24:14] | No. | 没有 |
[24:14] | You didn’t see a knife when you got to the body? | 你赶到尸体旁边的时候没有看到刀? |
[24:16] | No. | 没有 |
[24:17] | So in the heat of the moment, | 所以在那么仓促的情况下 |
[24:18] | you just happened to guess correctly. | 你碰巧就猜对了 |
[24:19] | Objection. | 反对 |
[24:20] | Withdrawn. That’s all. | 收回 我问完了 |
[24:34] | That didn’t go well. | 效果不太好 |
[24:36] | You seem to be hiding something. | 你表现得像是在隐瞒什么东西 |
[24:38] | You were a little hesitant Jenny. | 你显得有点吞吞吐吐的 Jenny |
[24:40] | I was scared. | 我很害怕 |
[24:41] | Look, you know I’m telling the truth. | 你知道我说的都是实话 |
[24:43] | Well, I don’t think the jury does. | 我觉得陪审团可不这么想 |
[24:45] | Danny Danny. | |
[24:46] | I want to put you up there. | 我想传你出庭作证 |
[24:47] | We have to now. | 我们现在别无选择 |
[24:49] | You think the judge will allow it? | 你以为法官会同意吗 |
[24:50] | If he doesn’t, we move for a mistrial. | 如果他不同意 我们就请求宣布无效审判 |
[24:51] | You gotta get on the stand | 你必须出来作证 |
[24:53] | and tell them about this client. | 告诉他们你的当事人当时在场 |
[24:56] | They’ll fight it with hearsay | 他们会提出这是传闻证据 |
[24:57] | but we have to try. | 但是我们必须尝试一下 |
[24:58] | Without your testimony, I don’t like the chances. | 如果没有你的证言 我们的机会很渺茫 |
[25:03] | I think I’ll lose a meal ticket. | 我想我恐怕会丢掉这个客户 |
[25:07] | But OK. | 不过没问题 |
[25:13] | What’s up? | 什么事 |
[25:15] | Well, uh, I was just, you know, | 呃 我只是 你知道 |
[25:18] | wondering about this movie we were supposed to go to. | 我们说好一起去看场电影 |
[25:22] | Even though we say as friends. | 尽管我们说是作为朋友 |
[25:25] | You… | 你… |
[25:28] | Well, um… | 呃 嗯… |
[25:30] | What exactly are you thinking? | 你到底是怎么想的 |
[25:33] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[25:35] | Go to a movie talk and stuff. | 看电影 聊聊天什么的 |
[25:37] | Not like boyfriend and girlfriend stuff, right? | 不是像男朋友女朋友那样 对吧 |
[25:43] | Is that what you were thinking, Kendall? | 你是这么想的吗 Kendall |
[25:47] | No. | 不是 |
[25:50] | Hey Kendall, I think you are a really great kid. | Kendall 我觉得你真的是个好孩子 |
[25:56] | I really do. | 真的 |
[25:57] | I, I got to go. | 我 我该走了 |
[26:09] | I heard. | 我听到了 |
[26:11] | Now you got to talk to him, Eugene. | 现在你得去跟他谈谈 Eugene |
[26:16] | The drugs were mine, not Leonard’s. | 毒品是我的 不是Leonard的 |
[26:19] | Did Leonard have any part in the packaging | Leonard有没有参与过毒品的封装 |
[26:21] | or sale of the drugs? | 和销售的任何环节 |
[26:22] | No, well, he uses from time to time | 没有 呃 他时不时地会吸一点 |
[26:25] | but he doesn’t deal. | 但是他不贩毒 |
[26:26] | The single bag the police said they found on his chest. | 警方说在他胸口发现的那包毒品 |
[26:29] | Had he bought that from you? | 是他从你那里买的吗 |
[26:30] | Nah, nah, no. | 不 不 不是 |
[26:31] | He was asleep the entire time | 他从头到尾一直在睡觉 |
[26:32] | I was doing my business in the kitchen. | 我当时在厨房里谈生意 |
[26:34] | And when he passed out, there were no drugs on his chest. | 当他睡着的时候 他胸口上并没有毒品 |
[26:38] | Doing business? | 谈生意? |
[26:40] | A few people stopped by. | 当时来了几个人 |
[26:42] | And where were these people when the police arrived? | 那么警察来的时候 这些人在哪里 |
[26:45] | They left about ten minutes | 他们在警察破门而入 |
[26:47] | before the cops came busting in. | 之前的大约十分钟离开了 |
[26:49] | Well, is it possible that | 那么 有没有可能 |
[26:50] | Leonard could have the bag of drugs on him the whole time | 那包毒品一直放在Leonard的身上 |
[26:53] | and you just didn’t know about it? | 而你并没有注意到 |
[26:54] | No, no, | 不会 不会 |
[26:55] | I saw him when he passed out and it wasn’t there. | 我看着他睡过去的 当时没有毒品 |
[26:58] | Before any of the other guys that came by earlier | 应该是之前来的那几个人里面的某一个 |
[27:00] | wanted to drop it on him | 扔在他身上的 |
[27:01] | thinking he’s doing him a favor maybe. | 也许是当作友情赠送给他的 |
[27:03] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[27:04] | But you weren’t in the living room, | 可是在这几个人从客厅经过的时候 |
[27:06] | at the time the other people walked through. | 你自己并不在客厅里 |
[27:08] | It is entirely possible | 所以完全有可能 |
[27:10] | that Mr. Sowers woke up long enough | Sowers先生中途醒过来 |
[27:12] | to ask somebody for the drugs. | 叫别人给他一包毒品 |
[27:15] | I would have heard that. | 那样的话我会听到的 |
[27:16] | The living room is right off the kitchen. | 客厅就在厨房旁边 |
[27:18] | And these other people who stopped by, | 去找你的这几个人 |
[27:20] | they were your customers? | 他们是你的顾客吗 |
[27:22] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:23] | You are testifying to all these out of the goodness of your heart. | 你是出于好心才到这里来作证吧 |
[27:26] | I am up here doing this coz Leonard is innocent. | 我出来作证时因为Leonard是无辜的 |
[27:29] | He doesn’t sell drugs. | 他没有贩卖过毒品 |
[27:46] | This is yet another Bobby Donnell stunt. | 这又是Bobby Donnell式的花招 |
[27:48] | It’s not a stunt. | 这不是什么花招 |
[27:49] | You want to call him as a witness. | 你想传唤他出庭作证 |
[27:51] | Yes, if she needs time to prepare. | 是的 如果她需要时间准备 |
[27:53] | He represents her | 他是她的辩护律师 |
[27:55] | I know it’s out there, Helen. | 我知道事实是怎样的 Helen |
[27:56] | Out there? | 你知道? |
[27:57] | Look, the truth is being sealed up | 事情的真相受到 |
[27:58] | inside attorney-client privilege. | “律师-当事人”保密特权的保护 |
[28:00] | Which never should have happened. | 这种情况本来不应该出现 |
[28:02] | Mr. Rogers, for you to take this case | Rogers先生 你接下这个案子本身 |
[28:04] | is gross malpractice. | 就是重大执业过失 |
[28:05] | It’s grounds for disbarment. | 足以让你被吊销律师执照 |
[28:07] | Everything that was done here was done | 我前面做的所有的事情 |
[28:08] | to help this girl get a better defense. | 都是为了帮这个女孩提供更好的辩护 |
[28:10] | I don’t care. | 我不关心 |
[28:11] | Look, at this point… | 到了这个时候… |
[28:12] | And you’re no better. | 你也好不到哪儿去 |
[28:13] | You should have reported this. | 你之前就应该向我报告 |
[28:14] | I learned what I learned through privilege. | 我了解的这些信息都属于律师保密范围 |
[28:16] | Then you should’ve declined to step in. | 那你就应该拒绝接这个案子 |
[28:28] | Whatever mistakes have been made, | 不管之前出现了什么样的错误 |
[28:30] | we can’t let them prejudice the defendant. | 我们不能让这些错误对被告造成偏见 |
[28:37] | He should be able to testify. | 他应该有权出庭作证 |
[28:42] | Both of you look at me. | 你们俩都给我听着 |
[28:45] | I like things clean and orderly. | 我喜欢把事情做得清清楚楚 有条有理 |
[28:48] | I don’t like mess. | 我不喜欢混乱 |
[28:49] | I hate mess. | 我讨厌混乱 |
[28:51] | You’ve made a big mess here. | 你们现在把事情弄得无比混乱 |
[28:54] | After this trial is over, | 等这个案子结束 |
[28:56] | you might find yourselves in one of your very own. | 你们会发现有大麻烦在等着你们 |
[29:04] | The drugs were found, right on him. | 警方发现了毒品 就在他身上 |
[29:08] | But he didn’t know they were there, did he? | 但是他并不知道毒品在自己身上 不是吗 |
[29:10] | He was asleep | 他当时睡着了 |
[29:11] | and somebody else just dropped that cocaine on his chest. | 是其他人把那袋可卡因扔在他胸口上 |
[29:17] | And hey, we had his friend’s word, too, | 而且 我们还听到了他朋友的证词 |
[29:23] | Now a drug dealer serving time. | 一个正在服刑的毒品贩子 |
[29:25] | One pushes vouching for the other. | 一个毒贩为另一个毒贩作证 |
[29:27] | I love loyalty. | 我欣赏这种忠诚 |
[29:30] | Who are we kidding? | 开什么玩笑 |
[29:36] | For the record, | 请各位注意 |
[29:38] | nothing the State has put into evidence | 控方没有提出任何证据 |
[29:40] | shows Leonard Sowers knowingly possessed drugs. | 证明Sowers有意识地持有毒品 |
[29:43] | He was a guest in the home of Denny Staples | 他当时只是Denny Staples家的客人 |
[29:46] | who told you those drugs were his, | Denny Staples说那些毒品是他的 |
[29:48] | and in fact, pled guilty for possessing them. | 而且 他已经因为持有这些毒品而认罪 |
[29:52] | As for the bag that was lying on his chest, | 至于在他胸口上的那一袋 |
[29:55] | he testified that he did not know how it got there | 他作证说他不知道怎么会在那里 |
[29:58] | and the State never proved | 而控方没有证明这袋毒品 |
[30:00] | how it got there. | 为什么会在他胸口 |
[30:02] | But hey, why believe this guy? | 可是 嘿 凭什么相信他呢 |
[30:07] | I suppose it’s easy not to. | 我想他的确难以取信于人 |
[30:09] | When his pager went off during trial, | 他的传呼机在庭审的时候嘟嘟直响 |
[30:12] | didn’t we all think drug dealer? | 我们是不是都觉得他是个毒贩 |
[30:15] | And we see how he looks, half in the bag. | 再看看他的样子 一副半醉半醒的样子 |
[30:18] | If he’s on drugs, he’d probably sell them. | 如果他没有吸毒 他可能就是在卖毒品 |
[30:21] | And even if he doesn’t, so what? | 再说就算他没卖 那又怎样 |
[30:23] | He is a druggie, | 他是个瘾君子 |
[30:24] | what’s the big deal of locking him up? | 把他关起来有什么大不了的 |
[30:26] | And you know what? | 你们知道吗 |
[30:27] | As his lawyer and someone who cares about him, | 作为他的律师 作为一个关心他的人 |
[30:32] | and I do. | 我真的很关心他 |
[30:36] | I’ve been thinking maybe prison’s | 我一直在想 也许坐牢对他来说 |
[30:37] | the best thing for him. | 是件再好不过的事 |
[30:38] | It’ll help him go straight. | 可以帮他改过自新 |
[30:42] | Cos as at the rate he’s headed, | 因为按照他现在的活法 |
[30:46] | he’s gonna end up dead. | 他一定活不了太久 |
[30:49] | He might be better off in jail. | 也许坐牢对他才是最好的 |
[30:53] | Only problem, that’s not how this works. | 唯一的问题是 没有这样的道理 |
[30:58] | He should only be found guilty | 只有在他犯罪的情况下 |
[31:00] | if he did the crime | 你们才能判他有罪 |
[31:02] | and he didn’t | 而他没有犯罪 |
[31:03] | and they can’t prove he did. | 而他们不能证明他犯了罪 |
[31:06] | As a matter of law, | 就法律角度而言 |
[31:07] | the State did not make their burden | 控方没有完成他们的举证责任 |
[31:10] | and that is all there is to it. | 这就是这个案子的全部 |
[31:19] | Actually, that’s not all there is to it. | 事实上 那不是整个案子的全部 |
[31:24] | The reason I do this job, | 我之所以从事这份职业 |
[31:28] | there are people out there | 因为这个世界上总有很多人 |
[31:30] | who don’t catch many breaks | 他们过得穷困潦倒 |
[31:32] | and the business of law | 而法律服务这个行业 |
[31:34] | is pretty many like any other. | 也像其他的行业一样 |
[31:35] | You’re gonna get what you pay for. | 服务是一分钱一分货 |
[31:38] | And well, a, uh, a drug addict, | 所以 一个 呃 一个吸毒成瘾的人 |
[31:43] | he’s not gonna get all that much | 他付不起钱 |
[31:46] | And that’s too bad, | 这很让人难过 |
[31:48] | especially when underneath the glassy eyes | 特别是知道在他呆滞的目光 |
[31:51] | and a disheveled appearance, | 和蓬头垢面的外表之下 |
[31:54] | there is a good man, | 他其实是个好人 |
[31:57] | especially when underneath all that visible wreckage , | 特别是知道在这个颓废的形象之下 |
[32:02] | there is an innocent man. | 他其实是个无辜的人 |
[32:05] | I don’t have any illusions about getting you to care about Leonard. | 我并不幻想说服你们去关心Leonard |
[32:11] | I only ask when you get back into that room, | 我只请求你们在回到陪审团室的时候 |
[32:14] | please do not be distracted from your job | 虽然你们可能不关心 |
[32:17] | by the fact that you don’t care. | 但请一定要专心履行自己的职责 |
[32:27] | It’s not fair. | 这不公平 |
[32:28] | She deserves a lot more… | 她应得的比这个多得多… |
[32:29] | It’s not gonna happen and you know why. | 别做梦了 你自己知道原因何在 |
[32:32] | Unfitness runs both ways. | 不合格的不止一个人 |
[32:35] | You don’t think we’ll go after her? | 你以为我们不会对付她? |
[32:36] | Think again, Tubby. | 好好想清楚 死胖子 |
[32:37] | Hey you listen. | 嘿 你听着 |
[32:38] | No, you! | 不 你听着 |
[32:39] | The best interest of the kids | 对孩子们最有利的做法是 |
[32:41] | is for this fight to be over. | 赶快结束这场争斗 |
[32:42] | You client knows that, | 你的当事人很清楚 |
[32:43] | that’s why she’ll take this settlement, | 所以她应该接受这个和解条件 |
[32:45] | even if it means getting less money. | 即使她得到的钱会少一点 |
[32:47] | You think you’re gonna just steamroll us? | 你以为这样就能吓到我了? |
[32:48] | Here’s the deal, Mr. Berlutti. | 话都说完了 Berluti先生 |
[32:49] | Call me when you sign off. | 你想好了再给我打电话 |
[32:51] | Come on James | 我们走 James |
[32:58] | Gee, she seems so peaceful. | 哇 她看起来真是平静 |
[33:00] | Yeah, well…. | 是啊 呃… |
[33:02] | Wait an hour, then call. | 等一个小时 然后给我打电话 |
[33:04] | Got it. | 明白 |
[33:07] | What was that? | 这是怎么回事 |
[33:08] | Well, uh, we kind of fake these meetings. | 呃 嗯 这些会议都是我们在演戏 |
[33:12] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[33:13] | Both clients wanted satisfaction | 两个当事人想要达到的目标 |
[33:15] | that they were getting beaten up, | 都是要打败对方 |
[33:16] | so we gave it to them, | 所以我们就帮他们实现目标 |
[33:18] | for a cheaper price than if they got it for real. | 这样比他们真正打起来 花钱要少得多 |
[33:21] | Wait, wait a second. | 慢着 慢着 |
[33:22] | You and this lawyer. | 你跟这个律师 |
[33:24] | We’re play acting. | 我们一直在演戏 |
[33:25] | Well, you can’t do that? | 哦 你不能这么做吧 |
[33:26] | Bec, the property settlement was statutory. | Bec 财产分割协议是法定的 |
[33:29] | The amount was going to be fixed. | 分割的数字是固定的 |
[33:30] | They were both looking for psychological victories. | 他们都只想在心理上觉得战胜了对方 |
[33:33] | They both got them. | 他们的目标实现了 |
[33:34] | Jimmy, you’re a lawyer, not a psychologist. | Jimmy 你是个律师 不是心理学家 |
[33:36] | Well, sometimes, we got to be both. | 有时候 我们得两者兼备 |
[33:38] | You’ll learn this. | 你以后会明白的 |
[33:39] | Winning is good. | 取胜固然可喜 |
[33:41] | Making the client think he won, better. | 令当事人以为自己胜利了 更妙 |
[33:45] | He hired me to defend her, | 他聘请我给她辩护 |
[33:46] | I guess, out of conscience. | 我觉得他是出于善心 |
[33:48] | Who is this man? | 这个人是谁 |
[33:49] | That I can’t tell you. | 这我不能告诉你 |
[33:51] | Can you explain why? | 你能解释一下为什么吗 |
[33:51] | He told me | 他跟我的谈话 |
[33:52] | in an attorney-client relationship | 属于”律师-当事人”保密特权的范围 |
[33:55] | that precludes me from divulging his identity. | 因此我不能透露他的身份 |
[33:58] | Well, this is probably hard for the jury to grasp, | 也许陪审团会觉得难以理解 |
[34:01] | but I’d like to ask some questions | 接下来我要问你几个问题 |
[34:02] | that perhaps they might have. | 这些问题或许陪审团也想知道答案 |
[34:05] | You went forward to help this young woman | 你愿意出来帮助这个女子 |
[34:08] | because you believe you could offer a better defense | 是因为你觉得相比于公设辩护律师 |
[34:10] | than the public defender. | 你能够提供更好的辩护 |
[34:12] | Yes. | 是的 |
[34:12] | And yet you would agree the best possible defense | 你也赞同 Jenny能够得到的最好的辩护 |
[34:14] | that Jenny could get would be for your other client | 就是你的当事人自己站出来 |
[34:17] | to come forward and back up her alibi, right? | 作为Jenny的不在场证明人 对吧 |
[34:19] | Yes, but that wasn’t going to happen. | 是的 但是他不能出来作证 |
[34:21] | Well, suppose the public defender hired investigators | 那么 假如公设辩护律师聘请了调查员 |
[34:26] | and somehow tracked down his identity. | 通过某种途径查到了他的身份 |
[34:28] | He could’ve subpoenaed him and made it happen, right? | 他可以申请法院强制传唤他来作证 对吧 |
[34:32] | Yes, but I guess I didn’t consider that too likely. | 是的 不过我认为这种可能性不大 |
[34:35] | Public defenders are overworked as it is. | 公设辩护律师都太忙了 |
[34:38] | Excuse me about the public defenders, | 抱歉 我不同意你对公设辩护律师的看法 |
[34:39] | I know they are not only pretty good, | 我知道他们不仅非常棒 |
[34:40] | but they tend to try their best | 而且他们会在案子中竭尽全力 |
[34:42] | especially for murder trials. | 特别是谋杀案 |
[34:44] | Mr. Rogers, did you take this case | Rogers先生 你接下这个案子 |
[34:47] | because your client feared being tracked down? | 是不是因为你的当事人担心被查出来 |
[34:51] | I beg your pardon? | 你说什么 |
[34:52] | Well, it makes sense, doesn’t it? | 道理上说得通 不是吗 |
[34:54] | Who better than the girl’s lawyer could guarantee | 除了这个女孩的律师之外 还有谁更有能力 |
[34:57] | that this man doesn’t get found out? | 确保这个客人的身份不被查出来 |
[34:59] | That’s not what happened. | 事情不是这样的 |
[35:00] | And I assume you’re asking | 我觉得你之所以这么问 |
[35:02] | what you think could be a juror’s question | 是因为你觉得陪审团可能会问这个问题 |
[35:03] | coz I know you know that didn’t happen. | 因为我知道你明知事情不是这样的 |
[35:05] | I do know. | 我确实知道 |
[35:07] | Because I also have the benefit of knowing you personally. | 因为我同时也非常了解你这个人 |
[35:10] | If there is a more honorable lawyer, I haven’t met him. | 我还没有遇到过比你更珍重名誉的律师 |
[35:14] | Objection, assuming facts very much not in evidence. | 反对 没有证据支撑的事实 |
[35:17] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[35:18] | My problem, Danny, | 我的问题是 Danny |
[35:19] | knowing you as well as I do | 我很了解你的为人 |
[35:21] | I can’t believe that you wouldn’t | 我绝不相信你真的不愿意 |
[35:23] | fork over this guy’s name, | 披露这个人的名字 |
[35:24] | even if it means losing a meal ticket. | 即便后果是丢掉这个客户 |
[35:26] | I couldn’t. Attorney-client privilege. | 我不能披露 “律师-当事人”保密特权 |
[35:29] | Yes, but, but bounced against this woman | 是的 但是 但是眼看着一个女子 |
[35:31] | being wrongly convicted of murder? | 错误地被判谋杀罪? |
[35:35] | The Danny Rogers I know | 我所认识的那个Danny Rogers |
[35:37] | would reveal the name of the alibi witness. | 会透露这个不在场证明人的名字 |