时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | We’d be looking for you to handle litigation in Massachusetts, | 我们想请你来负责马萨诸塞地区的诉讼案 |
[00:04] | state and federal. | 包括州一级和联邦一级的 |
[00:05] | Your firm, particularly you, | 你们事务所 特别是你 |
[00:07] | come highly recommended. | 得到了一致的推荐 |
[00:08] | Well, that’s nice to hear. | 哦 我很荣幸 |
[00:09] | My recommendation is that we don’t take this client at all. | 我的建议是 我们不能接这个案子 |
[00:12] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[00:13] | Ellenor, it’s asbestos defense work! | Ellenor 这是为石棉公司辩护 |
[00:15] | I mean this company killed a lot of innocent people, | 这家公司害死了很多无辜的人 |
[00:17] | I’m not crazy about representing them | 我不想为他们代理案子 |
[00:18] | The only difference between them | 他们跟我们一半的其它客户之间 |
[00:19] | and half our other clients | 唯一的区别在于 |
[00:21] | is that this one didn’t intend to kill anybody, | 他们没有故意杀害任何人 |
[00:23] | and they’re willing to pay us twenty times the amount | 而且他们愿意向我们支付二十倍的律师费 |
[00:24] | to defend them! | 来帮他们打这些案子 |
[00:25] | I decide tie-breakers, | 平局的时候由我最终决定 |
[00:27] | we reject the client. | 我们不接这个案子 |
[00:28] | You getting two votes, okay, | 你有两票 没问题 |
[00:30] | but you also getting to be tiebreaker | 但是平局的时候也由你最终决定 |
[00:31] | It’s in the partnership agreement, Rebecca. | 合伙协议里面就是这么写的 Rebecca |
[00:33] | Maybe so, but this alliance with Lindsay isn’t. | 也许是 但是你跟Lindsay的联盟可没写 |
[00:35] | Lindsay’s free to vote her way, | Lindsay可以按她自己的意愿投票 |
[00:36] | and I’ll vote mine. | 我也一样 |
[00:37] | This new client is exactly our ticket | 这家新的客户正是 |
[00:40] | to admission to the other world that you want! | 通往你期待的另一个世界的敲门砖 |
[00:42] | And by you voting to turn it down tells me | 结果你却投票反对 |
[00:44] | that you are either more concerned with your own success | 这意味着你要么只关心自己的成功 |
[00:46] | than that of the firm’s, | 而不在意事务所的发展 |
[00:47] | or you are suddenly under the influence of Bobby’s bedcovers! | 要么你就是突然受了Bobby的枕边风的影响 |
[00:50] | I understand your disappointment in | 我理解因为我们拒绝了这个客户 |
[00:52] | our not taking your new client. | 你的心情很失望 |
[00:53] | But to accuse Lindsay of… | 但是你指责Lindsay… |
[00:55] | Oh, what, she go running to her boyfriend? | 哦 怎么 她去向男朋友求助了 |
[00:56] | I’m entitled to some respect from you. | 我觉得你应该对我多点尊重 |
[00:58] | Not just because I’m a senior partner | 不仅仅因为我是高级合伙人 |
[01:00] | but because I think I’ve earned it. | 还因为我觉得有权得到你的尊重 |
[01:02] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[01:04] | This should be a two day trial, tops. | 这个案子庭审只要两天 顶多了 |
[01:06] | Two days? | 两天? |
[01:07] | We’re puting up two witnesses, they’re calling one, | 我们准备传唤两个证人 他们传唤一个 |
[01:09] | we’ll be going to a jury by the end of the week. | 这个周末 我们就能得到判决结果 |
[01:12] | Listen, closing arguments. I think I should do it. | 嘿 结案陈词 我觉得应该让我来 |
[01:14] | Why? | 为什么 |
[01:15] | Well, you’re doing the witnesses, | 嗯 你负责盘问证人 |
[01:16] | I’ll have more time to… | 我能有更多时间来… |
[01:17] | That’s not what you meant. | 你刚不是这个意思 |
[01:20] | Sorry? | 怎么了 |
[01:20] | No, you said you should do it, | 不是 你说应该让你来 |
[01:22] | like you’d be better, | 意思是你会做得更好 |
[01:23] | not like you’d have more time to prepare. | 而不是因为你有更多时间准备 |
[01:25] | No, I didn’t mean it like that | 不是 我不是这个意思 |
[01:26] | Yes, you did. | 你就是 |
[01:27] | No, I didn’t. | 瞎说 |
[01:27] | Lindsay, I know your little inflections. | Lindsay 我清楚你的小花招 |
[01:29] | I know that when you said that | 我明白你说这句话的时候 |
[01:30] | you meant you’d be more qualified to do the closing. | 你的意思是你更有资格来做结案陈词 |
[01:34] | Now, you can either tell me why | 所以 要么你可以告诉我为什么 |
[01:35] | you think you’re more qualified or not, | 你觉得自己更有资格 |
[01:38] | and if you don’t, I have to take that as a lie. | 不然的话 你就是在撒谎 |
[01:45] | That was really good. | 算你厉害 |
[01:47] | You’re just such a clever lawyer. | 你真是个聪明的律师 |
[01:50] | So good, it’s hard to imagine that I could believe | 太聪明了 我一定是疯了才会觉得 |
[01:52] | that I’m more qualified to do the closing. | 我更有资格来做结案陈词 |
[01:57] | But I am. | 但这是事实 |
[02:06] | You know, maybe it’s, | 嗯 也许 |
[02:10] | not smart to try cases together. | 两个人一起做案子不太明智 |
[02:12] | Maybe not. | 也许吧 |
[02:22] | Oh, please. | 哦 受不了 |
[03:10] | He’s Swedish, blonde, | 他是瑞典人 金发 |
[03:11] | doesn’t speak a word of English | 一句英语都不会说 |
[03:13] | and he is going to deep tissue my thigh till I… | 他会给我的大腿来个深度按摩 直到… |
[03:15] | Don’t rub it in, Helen. | 别恶心人 Helen |
[03:17] | You can still come with. | 你也可以一起来 |
[03:18] | Facial following massage, seaweed wrap | 按摩之后再做面膜 海藻敷脸 |
[03:21] | I’m in trial, you know I’m in trial. | 我得出庭 你知道我要出庭 |
[03:23] | Settle it. | 和解呗 |
[03:24] | Sorry, there’s a little more involved than somebody’s dead pet. | 抱歉 我这个案子可比死了个宠物复杂得多 |
[03:27] | Supposedly, this guy gives a standing massage, too. | 要知道 这个帅哥还能做站立式的按摩 |
[03:30] | You move with it. | 你可以边做便活动 |
[03:32] | Funny. I get that rub from Bobby. | 有意思 Bobby可以给我做这种 |
[03:36] | Funny. | 有意思 |
[03:40] | They tell me it’s because of our popularity, | 他们说是因为我们的名气很大 |
[03:42] | because of the cuisine, | 因为我们的口味很正 |
[03:44] | because everybody in the city wants to eat there. | 因为全市的人都想到我们这里来吃饭 |
[03:47] | That was the nature of the piece, and, | 他们的节目就专门介绍这种餐馆 |
[03:49] | and that’s why I gave them full access to do the piece. | 所以我才会同意他们进入拍摄 |
[03:52] | And what happened? | 接着呢 |
[03:53] | Instead of doing a positive feature, | 他们没有像承诺的那样 |
[03:55] | as they promised, | 做一个正面的报道 |
[03:56] | they ambushed me with this… | 而是狠狠地摆了我们一道 |
[03:59] | this big story… of bugs. | 他们拍了这些…这些臭虫 |
[04:01] | Bugs? | 臭虫? |
[04:02] | Bugs in the kitchen, bugs on the floor. | 厨房里的臭虫 地板上的臭虫 |
[04:04] | They condemned my restaurant as unsanitary. | 他们指责我的餐馆不卫生 |
[04:07] | It’s the lead story on the news. | 这成了新闻的头条 |
[04:08] | My restaurant is closed. | 我的餐厅倒闭了 |
[04:10] | My reputation is destroyed. | 我的信誉被毁了 |
[04:13] | By those liars. | 拜这些骗子所赐 |
[04:14] | Objection. | 反对 |
[04:15] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[04:16] | Mr Jacobs, had they represented to you | Jacobs先生 如果他们事先告诉你 |
[04:19] | that this would be a positive news story, | 这可能会是个负面的新闻报道 |
[04:21] | would you have granted the interview and, | 那样的话 你还会同意接受采访 |
[04:23] | and let the cameras in? | 让他们拍摄吗 |
[04:24] | Of course not. | 当然不会 |
[04:26] | Their ticket to admission was a lie. | 他们靠欺骗我才得以进入的 |
[04:30] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[04:32] | Do you deny that they discovered bugs? | 你否认他们发现有臭虫吗? |
[04:35] | Any restaurant has bugs. | 任何餐厅都有臭虫 |
[04:36] | You got food, you get bugs. | 哪里有食物 哪里就有臭虫 |
[04:38] | It’s not like we serve them. | 我们又没把它们放在菜里端给顾客吃 |
[04:39] | And if I’m a patron, | 假如我是一名顾客 |
[04:41] | sitting in your restaurant | 坐在你的餐厅里 |
[04:42] | and I ask if you have bugs, | 要是我问你有没有臭虫 |
[04:44] | is that the answer you’d give? | 你也是这么回答我吗 |
[04:46] | I haven’t been asked that question in twenty years, | 二十年来 从来没人问过我这个问题 |
[04:48] | and if you were in my restaurant, sir, | 而且要是你坐在我的餐厅里 先生 |
[04:50] | you wouldn’t ask it. | 你肯定也不会问 |
[04:51] | You’d only be thinking of how good the food is. | 你只会想着东西有多好吃 |
[04:55] | You could be more humble, for God’s sakes. | 拜托 你可以谦虚一点 |
[04:57] | It could be false. | 那就太虚伪了 |
[04:58] | Humility isn’t something I do. | 要我装谦虚 我办不到 |
[05:00] | Once in twenty years you could try it. | 二十年里你至少应该谦虚那么一次 |
[05:01] | Oh, don’t talk to me like that, Pamela. | 不要用这种语气跟我说话 Pamela |
[05:03] | – This is our life’s work. – Look, she’s right, Dad, and don’t | -这是我们一辈子的事业 -老爸 她说得对 不要… |
[05:08] | All right, quiet. | 行了 安静下 |
[05:11] | Listen to your wife, Mr Jacobs. | 听你老婆的话 Jscobs先生 |
[05:13] | We need those jurors to feel sorry for you. | 我们需要陪审团对你产生同情 |
[05:16] | Oh no. I don’t want pity for me. | 不 我不要别人可怜我 |
[05:17] | I want anger against that news station. | 我只想表达对新闻台的愤怒 |
[05:19] | They’re not going to punish the news station | 他们不会因为你表现得像个混球 |
[05:21] | if you behave like an ass. | 就去惩罚新闻台的 |
[05:26] | He doesn’t mean to… | 他不是有心的… |
[05:33] | This restaurant, | 这家餐厅 |
[05:35] | was everything to our family. | 是我们家族的一切 |
[05:43] | I know. | 我明白 |
[05:46] | I know. | 我明白 |
[05:54] | I got a B&E, | 我这里有个入室抢劫案 |
[05:55] | it’s gonna go fast, you want it? | 很快就能搞定 你要吗 |
[05:56] | You mean, can you dump it on me? | 你的意思是 你可以丢给我吗 |
[05:58] | Rebecca, it is a trial. | Rebecca 这是正式的庭审 |
[05:59] | There are six year associates across the street | 外面有大把的工作了六年的律师 |
[06:01] | still waiting for their first jury trial. | 仍在等待他们的第一个陪审团案子 |
[06:03] | Do you have any idea… | 你知不知道… |
[06:04] | I hear the sweet song of a lujack. | 我闻到点”卢杰克”的味道 |
[06:05] | It will be good experience. | 这是积累经验的好机会 |
[06:07] | I have to finish this payroll crap, | 我必须得把这个工资单弄好 |
[06:08] | which I was supposed to have finished by the first of the year, | 今年年初的时候 我就应该弄好的 |
[06:10] | which I would have finished but for a few lujacks dumped on me, | 如果不是有人带着善意 “卢杰克”我的话 |
[06:13] | with the best of intentions. | 我已经做好了 |
[06:15] | Doesn’t Lucy take care of all this stuff now? | 不是该由Lucy处理这些事情的吗 |
[06:18] | Do we really want Lucy to know how much we all make? | 你真想让Lucy知道我们挣了多少钱吗 |
[06:20] | I heard that. | 我听到了哟 |
[06:22] | Well, how much money do we all make? | 我们到底挣了多少钱 |
[06:26] | I’m a partner. | 我是合伙人 |
[06:27] | I get access to the books now, remember? | 我现在有权查看事务所的账目 不是吗 |
[06:29] | I have to run that by Bobby. | 我得问问Bobby的意见 |
[06:30] | Rebecca, I’m a partner. | Rebecca 我是合伙人 |
[06:32] | Of course I can see what people are making in my partnership. | 理所当然 我有权知道大家挣多少钱 |
[06:37] | Okay. That’s salary, plus partnership draw, | 好吧 这是工资 加上分红 |
[06:40] | doesn’t include benefits or insurance. | 不包括津贴和保险金 |
[06:43] | Is that right? | 没搞错吧 |
[06:44] | Yeah, why? | 没错啊 怎么了 |
[06:46] | Lindsay makes twice my salary? | Linsay的工资是我的两倍? |
[06:48] | Well, Ellenor, she brings in a lot of business, | Ellenor 她拉来了很多业务 |
[06:50] | her percentage should be… | 她的分成应该… |
[06:51] | Twice? | 两倍? |
[06:52] | Ellenor, she makes almost as much as Bobby. | Ellenor 她挣的钱几乎跟Bobby一样多 |
[06:54] | You should know that… | 你要知道… |
[06:55] | Where’s Bobby? | Bobby在哪 |
[06:56] | He’s in trial. | 他在出庭 |
[06:57] | With Lindsay. | 跟Lindsay一块儿 |
[06:58] | What’s the matter? | 怎么了 |
[07:00] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[07:01] | I don’t believe you. | 我才不信你呢 |
[07:06] | It will have to wait till tomorrow. | 只能等到明天了再说了 |
[07:07] | I’m off to enter a plea then I’m having a spa day. | 我先去搞定一个认罪协议 接着就去做spa |
[07:09] | Yeah, lucky me. My first day off in a year. | 是啊 我真走运 今年第一次休假 |
[07:12] | All right, bye. | 好的 拜 |
[07:14] | Hello | 你好 |
[07:17] | Miss Gamble? | 是Gamble小姐吗 |
[07:19] | I’m Sylvie Tyler. | 我是Slyvie Tyler |
[07:21] | It was my cat who was killed. | 那只被杀害的猫是我的 |
[07:23] | Oh, I’m terribly sorry. Please. | 我很抱歉 请坐 |
[07:27] | I was curious, | 我想问 |
[07:28] | you don’t plan to call me as a witness? | 你不打算传召我当证人吗 |
[07:31] | Well, there’s not going to be a trial. | 这个案子不会开庭审理 |
[07:33] | The defendant’s pleading guilty. | 被告已经认罪了 |
[07:36] | I see. So he’ll go to jail? | 我明白了 那么他会去坐牢吗 |
[07:40] | No, he’ll probably be put on probation. | 不会 他可能会被判缓刑 |
[07:43] | What does that mean? | 什么意思 |
[07:45] | That… | 就是说… |
[07:47] | he’ll be on probation probably for a year. | 他可能会被判一年的缓刑 |
[07:50] | So, nothing will happen to him? | 这么说 他什么事都没有? |
[07:55] | I don’t mean to sound like a doddering old loon, Miss Gamble, | Gamble小姐 我不是什么古怪老太婆 |
[08:01] | but I was widowed thirteen years ago. | 十三年前我就寡居了 |
[08:06] | For the past eleven years, Candy, | 过去的这十一年 Candy |
[08:11] | that was her name, Candy. | 我的猫 她叫Candy |
[08:14] | She’s been my dearest friend. | 她是我最亲密的朋友 |
[08:17] | The boy knew that. | 那个男孩也知道的 |
[08:20] | He was a neighbour. | 他是我的邻居 |
[08:23] | He knew… | 他明知道… |
[08:33] | It’s not so bad to murder somebody’s cat. | 杀害别人的猫没什么大不了的 是吧 |
[08:53] | I have a massage. | 我打算做按摩的 |
[08:58] | Instead of balsamic vinegar and paprika, | 不是什么意大利黑醋或红辣椒 |
[09:00] | we found these little guys. | 我们发现了这些小家伙 |
[09:02] | Or I should say, these big guys. | 或者我该说 这些大家伙 |
[09:04] | And they were everywhere. | 它们无处不在 |
[09:06] | Wondering what gives that clam chowder that little extra tang? | 猜一猜是什么使得蛤蜊浓汤那么浓 |
[09:08] | Well, it just might be his sister. | 可能是这家伙的姐妹 |
[09:14] | After this aired, business went down? | 这个曝光之后 生意就差了吗 |
[09:17] | It died. | 倒闭了 |
[09:18] | Our gross went from seventy thousand a week to twenty-three. | 我们的收入从每周七万降到两万三 |
[09:21] | After two months, we had to close our doors. | 两个月后 我们不得不关门停业 |
[09:23] | Had you made any other changes? | 会不会是因为你做了其它的变动 |
[09:25] | The menu, the chef, | 菜单 大厨 |
[09:27] | anything else that could possibly | 有没有任何其它的原因 |
[09:29] | account for your sudden plunge in popularity? | 导致你餐厅受欢迎程度大缩水? |
[09:31] | There were no changes in personnel or substance. | 人事上和物资上都没有变动 |
[09:34] | It was that broadcast. | 就是因为那个报道 |
[09:37] | It destroyed us. | 它毁了我们 |
[09:40] | You are the manager? | 你是经理? |
[09:41] | I am. | 是的 |
[09:42] | As well as the son of the chef? | 也是主厨的儿子? |
[09:44] | It’s a family business. | 我们是家族生意 |
[09:46] | Yes. | 是的 |
[09:47] | And you don’t actually deny the allegations | 你并不否认报道上 |
[09:49] | contained in that broadcast, do you? | 所宣称的事实 是吗 |
[09:51] | I certainly dispute the charge | 我绝对不同意 |
[09:52] | that our corn chowder gets its flavour from a cockroach. | 我们玉米浓汤的味道是因为有蟑螂 |
[09:55] | But the substance of that broadcast | 但是那个节目的主旨 |
[09:57] | was that the place was bug infested | 是说那里到处都是臭虫 |
[09:59] | and neither you, nor your father, take issue with that, | 你和你的父亲对这一点都没有异议 |
[10:01] | and here you are suing a news company | 结果你却要来告这家新闻社 |
[10:03] | -Objection. -Objection. | -反对 -反对 |
[10:04] | Argumentative. | 争议性提问 |
[10:05] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[10:06] | Was my client guilty of any factual inaccuracies, | 据你所知 我的当事人的报道当中 |
[10:08] | to you knowledge? | 是否有虚假的内容 |
[10:09] | They were guilty of lying to us about the nature of… | 他们欺骗我们 他们说拍摄目的… |
[10:12] | In the broadcast that we just saw on the monitor, | 据你所知 我们刚才在屏幕上看到的 |
[10:14] | were there any factual inaccuracies to your knowledge? | 里面是否存在不真实的报道 |
[10:17] | The statements were exaggerated. | 报道内容是被夸大的 |
[10:19] | Why didn’t you sue for defamation? | 那你为什么不告他们诽谤呢 |
[10:20] | -Objection. -Objection. | -反对 -反对 |
[10:21] | Your lawyers told you you had no case for libel, or defamation. | 因为你的律师告诉你 诽谤是不成立的 |
[10:24] | -Objection. -Objection. | -反对 -反对 |
[10:25] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[10:26] | You are not here today | 你今天来到法庭上 |
[10:27] | disputing the truth of my client’s broadcast, | 不是要质疑我的当事人节目的真实性 |
[10:30] | are you, sir? | 是不是 先生 |
[10:33] | No. | 是的 |
[10:35] | Thank you. That’s all. | 谢谢 我问完了 |
[10:37] | Counsel? | 原告律师? |
[10:41] | The plaintiffs rest, Your honour. | 原告结束举证 法官阁下 |
[10:43] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以退下了 |
[10:46] | Your Honour, | 法官阁下 |
[10:48] | at this time we move for a directed verdict, | 基于目前的情况 我们请求直接判决 |
[10:50] | in favour of the defendant. | 判决被告胜诉 |
[10:51] | I’ll hear arguments after lunch. | 午饭后我会听取双方辩论 |
[10:53] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[10:57] | What’s going on? | 什么情况 |
[10:57] | What is this directed verdict? | 什么叫直接判决 |
[10:59] | They’re basically arguing that we haven’t made a case | 基本上就是说 他们认为案件不成立 |
[11:01] | and they shouldn’t even be forced to put on a defence. | 他们根本就没有必要进行抗辩 |
[11:03] | We haven’t made a case? | 案件不成立? |
[11:04] | But that’s a first amendment problem. | 这涉及第一修正案的相关问题 |
[11:05] | Which Lindsay will address. | 这个Lindsay会处理 |
[11:06] | I don’t expect this to set us back, | 我相信被告不会得逞的 |
[11:07] | but we only have an hour so we need to prepare, | 但是我们只有一个小时 所以要赶快准备 |
[11:09] | and we’ll meet you right back here. C’mon. | 我们待会还在这里碰面 快走 |
[11:12] | I want time. | 我要他坐牢 |
[11:13] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[11:15] | I’ll give you a year, | 我给你一年刑期 |
[11:16] | six months suspended, six served. | 六个月缓刑 另外六个月在监狱服刑 |
[11:17] | Ha, ha, ha. | 哈 哈 哈 |
[11:18] | Best offer, Billy. | 这是最大的让步了 Billy |
[11:19] | Best offer? | 最大的让步? |
[11:20] | Last night we had a deal. | 昨天晚上我们已经说好了 |
[11:22] | You were going to spend the day in seaweed. | 你打算在海藻泥里度过一天呢 |
[11:23] | I changed my mind. | 我改变主意了 |
[11:24] | Helen, it was a cat. | Helen 一只猫而已 |
[11:27] | I met the owner. | 我跟猫的主人见了面 |
[11:28] | When I said probation, | 当我说缓刑的时候 |
[11:29] | I had trouble looking her in the eye. | 我无法直视她的眼睛 |
[11:31] | I’m giving you a guilty. | 我本来同意认罪的 |
[11:33] | At trial you could lose and then you’ll really… | 上庭的话 你会输的 你还是… |
[11:36] | Billy, six months served or no deal. | Billy 在监狱服刑六个月 不然免谈 |
[11:38] | He starts college in the fall. | 秋天他就要上大学了 |
[11:39] | I’m not about to agree to six months. | 六个月我是不会同意的 |
[11:40] | Then we go to trial. | 那我们法庭见 |
[11:43] | It was a cat. | 一只猫而已 |
[11:45] | Two hundred and forty-two thousand? | 二十四万两千? |
[11:47] | Am I overreacting? | 是我反应过度吗 |
[11:48] | I mean, I know she brings in business, | 我知道她带来不少业务 |
[11:50] | but to be making twice what we do? | 但是赚的是我们的两倍? |
[11:52] | Well, the partnership agreement is pretty clear. | 合伙人协议里说的很清楚 |
[11:54] | The formula is… | 分成的方式… |
[11:55] | Yes, the formula favours who brings in the business, | 没错 谁带来的业务谁有分成 |
[11:58] | but when we vote on new business, | 但是当我们在对新业务投票的时侯 |
[12:00] | and Lindsay getting one vote and Bobby getting two, | Lindsay有一票 Bobby有两票 |
[12:02] | plus the tie breaker, | 平局的时候又是Bobby最终决定 |
[12:03] | with only three other voting partners | 除了他们两个 只有三个有投票权的合伙人 |
[12:05] | the two of them control… | 他们两个人操控了… |
[12:06] | Ellenor Ellenor | |
[12:07] | They sleep together, Eugene. | 他们睡在一起 Eugene |
[12:09] | Who are we kidding? | 骗谁呢 |
[12:10] | She makes twice what we make. | 她挣的是我们的两倍 |
[12:12] | You forget that we became partners | 你忘了当初我们能成为合伙人 |
[12:13] | because of her power play. | 就是因为她的坚持力挺 |
[12:15] | It went to our benefit… | 对于我们是有好处的… |
[12:16] | You’re forgetting that it was a power play. | 你忘记她是在争权夺利 |
[12:18] | Look at these numbers. | 看看这些数字 |
[12:20] | Numbers are numbers. | 数字就是数字 |
[12:21] | They are not subject to interpretation. | 数字是无可置疑的 没有其它的解释 |
[12:28] | I am not comfortable having this conversation. | 我不想谈论这些 |
[12:30] | Why? | 为啥 |
[12:30] | I did not show you those salaries | 我给你看工资单不是为了 |
[12:32] | to start up some revolt. | 让你来发动反叛的 |
[12:33] | It’s not a revolt. | 这不是反叛 |
[12:34] | We have an issue here, | 现在出现问题了 |
[12:35] | we all gonna just ignore it? | 难道我们都要忽视它吗 |
[12:36] | Look, Ellenor, | 听我说 Ellenor |
[12:37] | I don’t like making half of what she earns either, | 我也不喜欢挣的钱只有她的一半 |
[12:39] | but the idea that there’s some evil conspiracy going on… | 但是你说这背后有什么暗箱操作… |
[12:41] | I’m not saying that | 我不是这个意思 |
[12:42] | Yes, you are. | 不 你就是这个意思 |
[12:42] | That’s why we’re having this secret meeting. | 所以我们才会开这个秘密会议 |
[12:44] | It’s not secret, Rebecca. | 这才不是秘密会议 Rebecca |
[12:45] | Oh, no? | 哦 不是吗 |
[12:45] | Then where’s Bobby? Where’s Lindsay? | 那Bobby人呢 Lindsay呢 |
[12:47] | In trial. | 在法庭上 |
[12:47] | Then why can’t we wait till then? | 那为什么不等他们回来 |
[12:48] | I mean, if you have a problem with somebody, | 如果你对某人有意见 |
[12:51] | you go face to face. | 那就当面跟她说 |
[12:52] | I don’t like the smell of this meeting | 我不喜欢这样的讨论方式 |
[12:54] | and I’m no longer in it. | 所以我不参合了 |
[13:00] | She’s gonna back Bobby no matter what. | 不管怎样 她都会站在Bobby那边 |
[13:02] | I’m backing him too, | 我也站在Bobby那边 |
[13:04] | at least until I speak to him. | 除非我和他谈过以后 |
[13:06] | As for Lindsay, | 至于Lindsay |
[13:07] | you’re making her into something that she isn’t. | 你是在冠与她莫须有的罪名 |
[13:10] | She’s good. Am I making her into that? | 如果我说她真厉害 这也是我编造的吗 |
[13:18] | Nothing in the broadcast was untrue. | 节目里的报道都是真实的 |
[13:21] | This isn’t a libel case. It’s fraud. | 这不是诽谤案 这是欺诈案 |
[13:23] | The truth of the broadcast isn’t the issue, | 节目的真实与否不是关键 |
[13:25] | it’s the truth of the promise | 关键是为了进入这家餐厅 |
[13:26] | that got them access to the restaurant. | 他们所作出的承诺是否属实 |
[13:28] | You cannot decide whether that promise was broken | 你不能在没有对节目内容先进行审查的前提下 |
[13:30] | without first evaluating the content of the broadcast. | 裁定他们是否违背了原先的承诺 |
[13:33] | This is a complete end around the first amendment. | 你们完全是想绕过第一修正案 |
[13:35] | This has nothing to do with the first amendment. | 本来就不关第一修正案的事 |
[13:37] | Have you read the Bill of Rights lately? | 你最近读过《权利法案》没有? |
[13:38] | Yes. And I’ve also read the Food Lion case, | 当然 我也研究了食狮公司诉ABC公司的案例 |
[13:40] | and ABC made the same freedom of the press,flag waving defence. | ABC同样以新闻自由的旗帜来抗辩 |
[13:45] | It didn’t work there, | 他们没有成功 |
[13:46] | and it’s not going to work here | 那么在本案当中同样不能成立 |
[13:47] | because the issue here is fraud. | 因为现在的核心问题是欺诈 |
[13:49] | Did the defendant commit fraud against the plaintiff. | 被告是否对原告实施了欺诈行为 |
[13:51] | Did the plaintiff sustain injuries as a result of the fraud. | 原告是否因为该欺诈行为受到了损害 |
[13:54] | The answer for both questions is yes | 对这两个问题的答案都是肯定的 |
[13:57] | C’mon, counsel. | 原告律师 |
[13:58] | Whichever way you phrase it, | 无论你怎么措辞 |
[13:59] | you are suing a news station | 事实上 你始终是因为节目的内容 |
[14:00] | for the content of a broadcast. | 而起诉新闻电视台 |
[14:02] | The conduct for the basis of the suit is the misrepresentation | 我们这个诉讼所依据的基础行为是虚假陈述 |
[14:04] | Yes, yes, you continue to frame the issue very nicely, | 没错 没错 你的文字游戏玩得非常娴熟 |
[14:06] | but the net result is the same. | 但是实际的结果还是一样 |
[14:08] | A news station is being sued for undercover reporting. | 新闻电视台因为暗访报道而被起诉 |
[14:11] | They can do undercover work. | 他们可以进行暗访报道 |
[14:13] | but they can’t just commit fraud | 但是他们不能通过 |
[14:14] | -against somebody when they’re… -Suppose they snuck in, | -欺诈的方式进行… -如果他们未经允许 |
[14:15] | uninvited, and filmed the cockroaches. | 偷偷溜进来 拍到了蟑螂 |
[14:17] | Then you’d sue for trespassing, | 那么你就会告他们非法入侵 |
[14:19] | claim harm from trespass. | 并依据非法入侵来索赔 |
[14:20] | Nothing to do with the first amendment, right? | 与第一修正案无关 是吧 |
[14:21] | These are good questions. | 这些问题问得很好 |
[14:22] | From an appellant court judge. | 但这是上诉法院的法官需要考虑的问题 |
[14:24] | But you’re a trial court judge. | 而你是初审法院的法官 |
[14:25] | The only question you should be asking is | 你唯一应该问的问题是 |
[14:28] | have we set forth facts to support our claim? | 我们是否提供了证据以支撑我们的诉讼 |
[14:30] | And, under existing law, | 根据现有的法律 |
[14:32] | under Food Lion, we have. | 根据食狮公司的判例 答案是肯定的 |
[14:33] | First of all, this is not Food Lion. | 第一 本案不是食狮公司案 |
[14:35] | Here we have an assault on the freedom of the press, | 他们是在攻击新闻自由 |
[14:39] | not to mention the integrity of journalism. | 甚至是在攻击媒体的操守 |
[14:40] | Gee, I’d hate to attack the integrity of journalism. | 哦天 我真不想攻击媒体的操守 |
[14:43] | Your client should have saluted those cockroaches | 出于职业修养 |
[14:45] | out of professional courtesy. | 你的当事人应该向那些蟑螂致敬 |
[14:46] | Oh, you’re very clever. | 哦 就你聪明 |
[14:47] | All right, all right. | 够了 够了 |
[14:48] | Look. I’m not going to pretend I like this case, | 老实说 我一点儿也不喜欢这个案子 |
[14:51] | but for now, I’ll let it continue. | 但就目前而言 我同意继续 |
[14:54] | Let’s bring in the jury. | 请陪审团进来 |
[14:56] | Mr Wieland, you may begin your defence. | Wieland 你可以开始答辩了 |
[15:00] | Ready for trial? | 你们要上庭? |
[15:02] | Yes, Your Honour. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[15:03] | This is the dead animal case? | 这是那个弄死宠物的案子? |
[15:04] | Yes | 是的 |
[15:05] | I thought there was going to be a plea. | 我以为已经达成认罪协议了 |
[15:06] | We couldn’t come to an agreement on sentencing, Your Honour. | 法官阁下 我们在量刑上无法达成共识 |
[15:08] | She wants time. | 她想要判实刑 |
[15:10] | What do you mean, she wants time? | 什么叫”她想要判实刑” |
[15:12] | She wants time. | 她想要判实刑 |
[15:14] | Time served? | 在监狱服刑? |
[15:16] | Yes, for extreme abuse towards a domestic animal. | 是的 理由是以极端手段虐待家养动物 |
[15:19] | Yes, Your Honour, I believe time is warranted. | 没错 法官阁下 我觉得他应该坐牢 |
[15:21] | Serious? | 你认真的? |
[15:22] | Serious. | 认真的 |
[15:25] | All right. Let’s empanel… | 好吧 那就开始组建陪审团… |
[15:27] | Your Honour, the defence is still willing to plead guilty, | 法官阁下 被告仍然愿意认罪 |
[15:30] | so we can go right to sentencing now. | 所以我们现在可以直接量刑 |
[15:32] | Excellent. | 好极了 |
[15:34] | Wait a second. I’d like a trial. | 等一下 我想要上庭 |
[15:37] | What? | 什么 |
[15:38] | I’d like to go forward with a trial. | 我希望能够上庭审理 |
[15:41] | Forgive me, counsel, | 抱歉 律师 |
[15:42] | I skipped my Ginko this morning. | 我脑子有点混乱了 |
[15:44] | I got a defendant wanting to plead guilty | 现在是被告想要认罪 |
[15:46] | and the prosecutor demanding a trial? | 检察官却要求庭审? |
[15:48] | What the hell is going on? | 搞什么名堂 |
[15:49] | He wants to proceed to sentencing | 他想要直接进入量刑阶段 |
[15:51] | because he detects a predisposition | 因为他认为你会倾向于 |
[15:53] | on your part not to give time. | 不判他承担实刑 |
[15:55] | I sense the same predisposition. | 这个倾向我也看出来了 |
[15:57] | I’m confident after you hear eyewitness testimony | 但是我相信在你听过证人证词 |
[15:59] | of what actually happened, | 听了事情经过之后 |
[16:01] | that predisposition will change. | 你会改变主意的 |
[16:03] | You want to inflame me? | 你想要激怒我 好让我判他坐牢? |
[16:04] | I want you to get a true picture. | 我希望你了解事实真相 |
[16:06] | I get the picture. | 我了解事实真相 |
[16:07] | The defendant killed a cat. | 被告杀了一只猫 |
[16:09] | If he’s pleading guilty, | 如果他愿意认罪的话 |
[16:10] | we’re not going through this charade | 我们就没必要再大费周折 |
[16:12] | of a trial for a colour commentary. | 去详细了解细节是怎么回事 |
[16:15] | A guilty finding is entered. | 被告的认罪答辩法庭予以确认 |
[16:16] | I’d like to be heard on sentencing | 法官阁下 我请求在您裁决之前 |
[16:18] | before you rule, Your Honour. | 做一个最后陈述 |
[16:21] | One hour. We’re back in. | 一个小时后 我们继续 |
[16:23] | My intent was to do a positive piece. | 我的设想本来是做一个正面的报道 |
[16:26] | That’s not something that I was just saying. | 这不是我随口瞎说的 |
[16:28] | But at some point, | 但在某种情况下 |
[16:29] | you obviously changed the focus. | 你显然变换了报道的主题 |
[16:31] | That point came when we discovered | 在发现了厨房有多么不卫生之后 |
[16:33] | how unsanitary the kitchen was. | 我们才决定改变主意的 |
[16:36] | This was a revered north end family restaurant. | 这是一家受人尊敬的位于”北角”的家族餐厅 |
[16:39] | The chef was practically an icon, | 主厨差不多是个传奇人物 |
[16:41] | and that was the story we wanted to tell, | 这本是我们想要报道的内容 |
[16:43] | but when I saw how filthy it was back there, | 但是当我看到背地里那么肮脏 |
[16:45] | it became a bigger story. | 这更值得报道 |
[16:47] | And a more important one for people to hear, | 考虑到健康因素 |
[16:50] | given the health issues. | 报道这些问题显然更有价值 |
[16:51] | But to be clear, | 实事求是地说 |
[16:53] | after you were given permission to come in and film, | 在他们允许你进入餐厅拍摄之后 |
[16:56] | your intent was to do the positive story? | 你的确是想做个正面报道 |
[16:59] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:01] | You never would’ve lied | 你绝不会通过欺骗的方式 |
[17:02] | to get access? | 让别人同意你拍摄? |
[17:04] | No. | 不会 |
[17:05] | When you decided to switch the focus | 当你决定改变报道主题 |
[17:07] | to attack the restaurant on sanitary grounds, | 揭露餐厅的卫生情况的时候 |
[17:09] | did you tell anybody at the restaurant? | 你有没有告知餐厅里的人 |
[17:11] | No. | 没有 |
[17:12] | You just continued to film? | 你只是继续拍摄? |
[17:14] | Yes. | 是的 |
[17:14] | Were you being honourable | 当你改变报道主题 |
[17:16] | when you changed the focus and didn’t tell my client | 却不告诉我当事人的时候 你这么做诚实吗 |
[17:18] | you were now out to trash his restaurant? | 你是在毁了他的餐厅 |
[17:20] | I’m a news reporter, Mr Donnell. | 我是一名新闻记者 Donnell先生 |
[17:22] | You’re a news reporter. | 你是一名新闻记者 |
[17:24] | Does that mean you were being honourable, | 这就意味着你很诚实吗 |
[17:26] | or was that the justification for being dishonourable? | 还是你无耻行为的正当借口? |
[17:29] | Objection. | 反对 |
[17:30] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[17:31] | At the time you changed your focus, | 在你改变报道主题的时候 |
[17:33] | why didn’t you tell my client? | 你为什么不告知我的当事人 |
[17:35] | He would’ve thrown us out. | 他会把我们赶出去 |
[17:36] | You didn’t want him to know the truth? | 你不想让他知道真相? |
[17:38] | At that point, no. | 在那个情况下 不想 |
[17:40] | Do you know whether my client’s restaurant | 据你所知 我当事人的餐厅 |
[17:42] | received any code violations? | 有没有收到任何违规操作的处罚 |
[17:44] | To my knowledge, they have not. | 据我所知 没有 |
[17:45] | Did you mention that in your broadcast? | 你在节目里有说明吗 |
[17:47] | Just because a restaurant hasn’t been cited doesn’t mean that… | 一家餐厅没有被处罚不代表… |
[17:49] | The question before you is | 我问的是 |
[17:51] | did you report in your broadcast | 在你的节目里 |
[17:53] | that my client’s restaurant has never | 你有没有提到 我当事人的餐厅 |
[17:55] | been cited for any sanitary code violation? | 从未受到卫生违规的处罚 |
[17:57] | We did not report that. | 我们没有提到这个 |
[18:00] | What did you think would happen to my client’s restaurant | 你认为在你们的节目播出后 |
[18:02] | after you aired this piece? | 我当事人的餐厅会怎样 |
[18:03] | I knew it would be detrimental. | 我知道肯定影响不好 |
[18:05] | You knew it would be detrimental? | 你知道肯定影响不好? |
[18:07] | Did you consider that it might destroy his business? | 你有没有想过 可能会毁了他的事业 |
[18:10] | Of course. I had to consider that. | 当然 我想到过 |
[18:13] | So you knew you were being deceptive, | 所以你清楚你是在欺骗他们 |
[18:15] | and you knew they’d get hurt by relying on your deception. | 你也清楚 他们因为你的谎言会得到伤害 |
[18:17] | That’s pretty much it, right, Mr Sawyer? | 事实就是这样 对不对 Sawyer先生 |
[18:19] | Expose reporting is a tough business, Mr Donnell. | 揭露性报道并不容易做 Donnell先生 |
[18:23] | Yeah. | 没错 |
[18:24] | Tougher on some than others, I guess. | 对某些人来说尤其如此 |
[18:31] | Basically, I’ll just ask you | 简单讲 我会让你谈一下 |
[18:32] | to talk about the loss you feel. | 你情感上受到的伤害 |
[18:34] | You can do it in a narrative, | 你可以自己讲 |
[18:35] | but I think I can make it more effective with a Q and A. | 但我觉得一问一答效果会更好 |
[18:38] | Okay. | 好的 |
[18:39] | And then with the witness, Mr Patterson, | 然后是目击证人 Patterson先生 |
[18:41] | I’ll ask him to describe how he saw the cat killed. | 我会要求他描述看见猫被杀的经过 |
[18:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[18:45] | You might want to leave the room for that part. | 这个环节你可能回避一下比较好 |
[18:49] | This judge, he doesn’t seem to care much. | 这个法官 他看上去不是很在乎 |
[18:55] | These judges deal with rapists and murderers on a daily basis. | 这些法官每天都要面对强奸犯和谋杀犯 |
[19:01] | She was ruining the fabric. | 她总是抓坏布料 |
[19:05] | Some of my friends said | 我的一些朋友说 |
[19:07] | ‘get her de-clawed’ | “把她指甲剪掉” |
[19:08] | but I couldn’t do it. | 但我做不到 |
[19:10] | I thought what if she gets chased | 我想万一她被狗追 |
[19:12] | by a dog and wants to defend herself? | 想要保护自己呢 |
[19:18] | But I never thought to protect her against teenagers. | 但我从来没想到会有年轻人对她下毒手 |
[19:27] | How you doing, Jimmy? | 你怎么样啊 Jimmy |
[19:29] | Not bad. | 还行 |
[19:33] | How’s things with you? | 你呢 |
[19:35] | Good. | 很好 |
[19:38] | Good. | 很好 |
[19:41] | Listen. I think the time is right to bring you up for partner. | 说真的 我觉得是时候让你加入做合伙人了 |
[19:44] | Bobby said to wait a year, it’s been a year. | Bobby说要等一年 一年已经到了 |
[19:46] | And with your big win over Tommy Silva, | 何况你还赢了Tommy Silva |
[19:48] | you know, timing’s everything, they say. | 正所谓 时机是关键 是不是 |
[19:51] | So, just wanted you to know, I fully support it. | 所以 只想让你知道 我全力支持 |
[19:55] | Thank you, Ellenor. | 谢谢你 Ellenor |
[19:57] | Sure. | 不客气 |
[19:58] | I think you did some damage. | 我觉得你的盘问效果不错 |
[20:00] | I hope. | 希望是 |
[20:00] | So, I’ll close, right? | 所以 我来结案陈词 对吧 |
[20:01] | Why? | 为什么 |
[20:02] | Because I’ve been preparing it, | 因为我一直在准备 |
[20:03] | I though we discussed that. | 我以为我们已经讨论过了 |
[20:04] | I mean, you keep dodging my question. | 我是说你一直回避我的问题 |
[20:07] | Why do you think that you’re better at closing than I am? | 为什么你觉得结案陈词 你比我强 |
[20:09] | Can we just skip that? | 我们能不谈这个么 |
[20:10] | No, I’d really, I’d really like to know. | 不行 我真的 真的很想知道 |
[20:12] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[20:14] | Your strength when it comes to closings is passion, | 你在结案陈词上的优势是很有激情 |
[20:17] | and my strength is more like clinical persuasion. | 而我则更像是冷静地去说服 |
[20:20] | And? | 还有呢 |
[20:21] | And, standing up and banging the righteous sympathy drum | 还有就是 站在陪审团面前打正义同情牌 |
[20:24] | isn’t going to sell the jury. | 陪审团是不会买账的 |
[20:25] | I mean, they saw all those bugs | 我的意思是 他们已经看到那些臭虫了 |
[20:26] | I don’t bang the sympathy drum, Lindsay. | 我不打同情牌 Lindsay |
[20:29] | I mean, that’s not my style. | 这不是我的风格 |
[20:30] | I meant that as a compliment. | 我这么说是表扬你 |
[20:31] | – It’s very persuasive. – That’s a compliment? | -这很有说服力 -这是表扬我? |
[20:32] | Banging the sympathy drum? | 打同情牌? |
[20:33] | Why are you being so sensitive? | 你干嘛那么敏感 |
[20:34] | Well, because you know, | 嗯 因为 |
[20:35] | you’re making me sound like Johnny Cochrane or something | 你说得我好像Johnny Cochrane一样 |
[20:38] | Johnny Cochrane’s a good lawyer. | Johnny Cochrane是个好律师 |
[20:39] | If you like pulpit-thumping closings | 如果像神父布道般的结案陈词也算好的话 |
[20:40] | and I don’t do that. | 我不是这种风格 |
[20:41] | All I’m saying, or trying to say is | 我的意思是 我想说的是 |
[20:43] | neutral legal reasoning works best here. | 客观的法律推理在这个案子里更有说服力 |
[20:45] | You mean dry? | 你是指枯燥? |
[20:47] | Excuse me? | 什么 |
[20:48] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[20:49] | You think I’m dry? | 你觉得我很枯燥? |
[20:50] | No. | 没有 |
[20:50] | My closings are not dry. | 我的结案陈词才不枯燥 |
[20:52] | Lindsay, you’re a great lawyer, | Lindsay 你是个好律师 |
[20:54] | but Clarence Darrow, you’re not. | 但你不是Clarence Darrow |
[20:55] | Oh, and you are? | 哦 那你是吗 |
[20:56] | The jury is bored | 到结案陈词的时候 |
[20:57] | by the time summations roll around | 陪审团已经被庭审搞得很厌烦了 |
[20:58] | if you don’t stir things up a little. | 要是你不去刺激他们一下 |
[21:00] | Bored? It’s a one day trial. | 厌烦? 庭审才一天 |
[21:02] | I’m talking in general. | 我是指一般情况 |
[21:04] | I’m talking here. | 我是指这个案子 |
[21:05] | If you go in there and rant out of anger or outrage, | 如果你走上法庭 发泄你的愤怒的话 |
[21:07] | we’ll lose. | 我们输定了 |
[21:08] | A velvet glove is better here | 外柔内刚会更有效果 |
[21:10] | dammit and I am not dry! | 混蛋 而且我才不枯燥呢 |
[21:11] | Is this the velvet glove I’m hearing? | 你这番话果然是”外柔内刚”啊 |
[21:12] | Oh, shut up. | 哦 闭嘴 |
[21:13] | Fine. You do the closing. | 行 你来做结案陈词 |
[21:14] | Fine. | 行 |
[21:17] | What are you doing? | 你干嘛呢 |
[21:18] | Well, I was about to knock. | 嗯 我正要敲门 |
[21:20] | I never know what I’m gonna interrupt. | 我确实不知道你们在里面做什么 |
[21:22] | What’s up, Ellenor? | 什么事 Ellenor |
[21:23] | There’re some partnership issues. | 有些合伙人的问题 |
[21:26] | I’d like to talk, | 我想要谈谈 |
[21:27] | maybe after this trial is over, | 也许等这个案子结束之后 |
[21:29] | or whenever you come up for air. | 或者是你们想出来透口气的时候 |
[21:30] | What’s that supposed to mean? | 你这是什么意思 |
[21:33] | Nothing. | 没什么 |
[21:38] | I think she needs a big vacation, Bobby. | 我觉得她需要放个大假 Bobby |
[21:40] | With three votes, we can give her one. | 我们有三票 我们可以让她去休假 |
[21:44] | This is a sentencing hearing. | 这是量刑听证会 |
[21:46] | And you can call witnesses at a sentencing hearing. | 量刑听证会允许传召证人作证 |
[21:49] | This is a cheap stunt to exploit your sympathy, Your Honour. | 只是个博取你同情的小花招 法官阁下 |
[21:51] | I object to the insulting accusation | 我反对这个侮辱性的指责 |
[21:53] | that you would be manipulated by a witness. | 说你会被一个证人的证言所左右 |
[21:56] | A judge should get a little more credit than that. | 难道我们对法官的专业能力这么没信心吗 |
[21:58] | Thank you for your support, counsel. | 多谢你的支持 律师 |
[22:00] | I’m touched. | 我很感动 |
[22:01] | I won’t take up much of the court’s time. | 我不会浪费法庭很多时间 |
[22:03] | I’ll hear from one person only. | 我只听取一个证人的证词 |
[22:04] | The owner of the pet, or the eyewitness. | 要么猫的主人 要么目击证人 |
[22:06] | Your pick. | 你来选 |
[22:07] | If I promise to be brief with both | 如果我保证两个都很简短… |
[22:08] | One witness only. | 只能有一个证人 |
[22:16] | I was in the middle lane, | 我当时行驶在中间的车道上 |
[22:17] | I was probably travelling around 60, | 车速大概60英里左右 |
[22:20] | when this green station wagon passed me. | 一辆绿色的旅行车正好超过我 |
[22:22] | Did you see who was inside? | 你看见谁在车里了吗 |
[22:24] | Not then, | 当时没有 |
[22:24] | when the car pulled into my lane in front of me, | 那辆车超过我之后就变到我这个车道上来 |
[22:27] | it looked like three kids, high school age, about. | 看上去像是三个高中生模样的孩子 |
[22:31] | I never really saw their faces. | 我没能看清楚他们的脸 |
[22:32] | Could you tell us what happened next? | 你能告诉我们接下来发生了什么吗 |
[22:35] | The driver reached out his side of the window, | 那个司机把手从车窗里伸出来 |
[22:37] | holding something. | 手里抓着一个东西 |
[22:39] | I thought it was a stuffed animal, | 我以为是个玩具动物 |
[22:40] | it was orange coloured. | 橙色的 |
[22:42] | And then, I saw it’s legs moving, | 然后 我看见它的脚在动 |
[22:45] | and I could tell it was alive. | 我意识到它是个活的动物 |
[22:46] | I thought ‘what’s going on’? | 我就想”怎么回事” |
[22:48] | And then, after five or ten seconds, | 接着 五到十秒钟之后 |
[22:51] | he let it go. | 他放手了 |
[22:52] | And it hit my windshield | 那东西撞上我的挡风玻璃 |
[22:54] | and stuck there for a few seconds. | 停在那里好一会儿 |
[22:56] | Could you tell what it was then? | 你能告诉我们那是什么吗 |
[22:58] | Yes. It was a cat. | 那是只猫 |
[23:02] | What happened then, sir? | 接下来呢 先生 |
[23:04] | Well, I swerved, my windshield was broken. | 嗯 我急忙转向 我的挡风玻璃碎了 |
[23:08] | I managed to get into the breakdown lane, and stop. | 我开到紧急停车道上 停下车 |
[23:11] | I got out of my car, | 我从车上下来 |
[23:13] | and it was still plastered to my windshield. | 它仍然糊在我的挡风玻璃上 |
[23:16] | What was? | 什么东西 |
[23:17] | The cat. | 那只猫 |
[23:19] | What happened next, sir? | 然后呢 先生 |
[23:21] | I called the police, | 我报了警 |
[23:22] | gave them a description of the car, | 告诉他们那辆车的样子 |
[23:24] | plus the first three numbers of the licence | 还有车牌的前三位数字 |
[23:27] | and then I, I removed the remains from my car. | 接着 我把猫的尸体从我车上弄下来 |
[23:37] | Hey, Jimmy. | 嗨 Jimmy |
[23:38] | Ellenor Ellenor. | |
[23:39] | You given any thought to what I said before? | 你想过我之前跟你说过的话没有 |
[23:43] | Actually, I’ve done nothing but think about it. | 事实上 我一直在想 |
[23:46] | Mainly, my thought is: | 主要的 我的想法就是 |
[23:48] | to what do I owe this lightning bolt of good will. | 我做了什么事得到你这番美誉 |
[23:51] | Sorry? | 什么 |
[23:52] | A sixth partner would tip that little power scale, wouldn’t it? | 第六个合伙人会打破权力的垄断 不是吗 |
[23:55] | The Bobby/Lindsay block would no longer control, | Bobby与Lindsay联盟没法再控制事务所 |
[23:58] | and you being my champion, | 因为你支持了我升合伙人 |
[23:59] | I’d have these pulls of loyalties, wouldn’t I? | 所以我也应该对你投桃报李 是不是 |
[24:01] | It isn’t about that. | 不是这样的 |
[24:03] | Really? | 不是吗 |
[24:04] | Timing really is everything, I guess. | 时机的确就是关键 我也这么认为 |
[24:07] | You know what, Jimmy, forget it. | 好吧 Jimmy 当我没提过 |
[24:08] | And forgive me for looking out for you. | 原谅我这么为你着想 |
[24:11] | I don’t want to be partner here, Ellenor. | 我不想当合伙人 Ellenor |
[24:13] | Too much politics for me. | 我不喜欢办公室政治 |
[24:20] | When I got my first apartment, | 当我搬进我第一所公寓的时候 |
[24:22] | I had cockroaches all over. | 里面到处是蟑螂 |
[24:24] | Gross. Hate cockroaches. | 太恶心了 讨厌蟑螂 |
[24:29] | Don’t we all? | 我们都一样 |
[24:30] | I mean, who here would go into a restaurant | 如果知道某家餐馆的厨房里 |
[24:32] | if they were told | 遍布这些恶心的臭虫 |
[24:33] | the kitchen was infested with those gross bugs? | 还有谁会愿意去那家餐厅 |
[24:36] | It was a no-brainer. | 想都不用想 |
[24:38] | That broadcast would put my clients’ restaurant under. | 那个节目会让我当事人的餐厅倒闭 |
[24:40] | They knew it, they aired it anyway. | 他们明知道 却还是播出了 |
[24:43] | Freedom of the press. | 新闻自由 |
[24:45] | They had a duty, they might argue. | 他们可能辩解说 他们有责任 |
[24:47] | Warn the public. | 警告公众 |
[24:49] | But this case is not about free speech, | 但是这个案子不是关于言论自由 |
[24:50] | it’s about fraud. | 是关于欺诈 |
[24:52] | They made a promise, they breached that promise. | 他们做出了承诺 然后违背了这个承诺 |
[24:54] | As a result of that breach | 而这么做的后果 |
[24:55] | a family business has been destroyed. | 就是一家家族企业倒闭了 |
[24:57] | You want to wrap an American flag around their conduct, | 你们想要用美国精神支持他们的行为 |
[25:00] | stand up and salute the constitution, you can do that, | 站起来向宪法致敬 你可以这么做 |
[25:03] | but freedom of speech is never a defence to fraud. | 但是言论自由不能做为欺诈的抗辩理由 |
[25:06] | Never. | 不能 |
[25:08] | And let’s ask ourselves | 让我们来问问自己 |
[25:09] | that dirty little question we’ve all secretly been asking. | 那个我们偷偷在心里一直问的问题 |
[25:14] | Do we really, really believe | 我们真的 真的相信 |
[25:16] | they went in there to do a puff piece? | 他们到那里是为了拍个宣传广告? |
[25:19] | We don’t have any evidence to the contrary, | 我们没有证据证明他们不是 |
[25:21] | the truth lies in their minds only, | 真相只有他们自己知道 |
[25:23] | but when you look at the landscape of news today, | 但是看一看如今新闻媒体的大环境 |
[25:26] | you see a lot of fluff features on restaurants? | 你们看到有媒体报道过餐厅亮点了吗 |
[25:29] | Today it’s about scandals, | 如今人们只关注丑闻 |
[25:31] | hidden cameras and catching people. | 隐蔽摄像头 偷拍别人 |
[25:34] | Every kitchen has bugs. | 每个厨房都有臭虫 |
[25:36] | It’s not a big deal really, | 这没有什么大不了的 |
[25:38] | but add some good copy, | 但是加上一些 |
[25:39] | some dramatic reporting, | 一些戏剧性的报道 |
[25:41] | vivid footage, | 生动的镜头 |
[25:41] | throw in a health scare and tease it during prime time, | 搭上健康危机 并且在黄金时间调侃一番 |
[25:44] | could you be eating a cockroach tonight? | 今晚你可能在吃一个蟑螂 |
[25:48] | That’s a great hook. | 这是个好招 |
[25:51] | Easy to manufacture a story like that | 如果你有了影像材料 |
[25:53] | if you’ve got the footage | 加工这样一个故事就很容易了 |
[25:54] | and if you don’t, well, lie to get it. | 如果你没有 那就把它骗到手 |
[25:55] | Lie proudly and declare journalistic integrity. | 自豪地撒谎 宣称这是新闻正义 |
[25:59] | Look what’s happening today. | 看看如今发生的这一切 |
[26:01] | Forget the tabloids, | 撇开小报社不说 |
[26:03] | we have reporters at major newspapers, | 现今各大主流报社的记者 |
[26:05] | including the Boston Globe right here, | 包括本地的”波士顿环球报” |
[26:07] | getting caught making up stories. | 都曾经编造过新闻 |
[26:11] | Writing stories about people who don’t really exist. | 写一些虚构的人物故事 |
[26:13] | Plagiarising. | 剽窃 |
[26:15] | CNN, Time magazine | CNN 《时代周刊》 |
[26:16] | reporting about tail wind and germ warfare, | 报道的”顺风行动”和细菌战 |
[26:18] | don’t let the facts spoil a good story, | 不要让事实真相糟蹋了一个好故事 |
[26:20] | we can just print the retraction on weekends, | 我们可以在周末版上登一个更正启事 |
[26:22] | or put it in a foot note. | 或者在注释里说明 |
[26:23] | Anything to get the story and to get it first. | 不择手段抢到新闻 抢到头条 |
[26:26] | Who cares who gets hurt? | 管谁遭到伤害? |
[26:29] | These people got hurt. | 这些人受到了伤害 |
[26:32] | They were defrauded. | 他们被骗了 |
[26:34] | It cost them everything they had worked their whole lives for. | 导致他们失去了为之奋斗了毕生的东西 |
[26:38] | Hail, hail, freedom of the press. | 新闻自由 万岁 万岁 |
[26:42] | I think it’s time to send a little message | 我认为是时候该提醒一下 |
[26:45] | to all the cockroaches. | 那些蛀虫们了 |
[26:50] | It’s just open season on the press these days, isn’t it? | 如今各方都在炮轰新闻媒体 不是吗 |
[26:55] | And why shouldn’t it be? | 为什么不呢 |
[26:56] | I mean, look at what the press has done lately. | 我是说 看看新闻媒体最近都干了些什么 |
[26:59] | We all know that it was the media | 我们都知道是新闻媒体 |
[27:01] | that planted that intern in the oval office. | 在总统办公室安插了那个实习生 |
[27:03] | We know that it was the press | 我们也都知道是因为新闻媒体 |
[27:05] | that caused all those republican congressmen | 让那些共和党议员们都 |
[27:07] | to have that sudden explosion of conscience. | 突然间良心发现 |
[27:11] | And it was the journalists who convinced Kenneth Starr | 是新闻记者让Kenneth Starr确信 |
[27:14] | that his true calling was pornography. | 他的真正使命是调查性骚扰案 |
[27:16] | I’m sorry, | 打断一下 |
[27:17] | but we’ve wandered a little off the path, haven’t we? | 不过我们似乎有点离题了 不是吗 |
[27:19] | – You went into tail wind. – All right. | -你都扯到”顺风行动”上去了 -好了 |
[27:23] | Mr Wieland. | Vieland先生 |
[27:25] | Journalism is like every profession. | 新闻业和其他职业一样 |
[27:27] | Some of it’s good, some of it stinks. | 有好的一面 也有令人厌恶的一面 |
[27:30] | But for it to be good, it has to be unflinching. | 但是为了达到好的一面 就不能退缩 |
[27:35] | Yes, there was a representation made here | 的确 是有事先说过 |
[27:38] | that the article would be favourable, | 报道是正面积极的 |
[27:41] | but that was based on the assumption | 但这是建立在厨房 |
[27:44] | that the kitchen was not bug infested. | 没有遍布臭虫的假设上 |
[27:48] | Should we have written a puff piece anyway? | 我们是不是仍然应该做个正面报道? |
[27:50] | The place is crawling in germs, | 那个地方充斥着细菌 |
[27:52] | but we promised to be nice. | 但我们保证过要客气 |
[27:54] | So, | 所以 |
[27:56] | is that the kind of press we all want? | 这是我们想要的新闻自由吗 |
[27:59] | What if we found body parts? | 要是我们发现了尸体呢 |
[28:01] | Promised to be kind, don’t air it. | 因为承诺过了 我们不播出来 |
[28:04] | Who are we kidding? | 可能吗 |
[28:06] | They made a discovery and it was news. | 他们有了新的发现 这就成了新闻 |
[28:11] | They would have you believe | 他们想让你们觉得 |
[28:12] | that some deal was made here. | 双方达成了某种协议 |
[28:14] | A deal which should be prioritised over the truth. | 这个协议应当优先于事实真相 |
[28:19] | Who are we kidding? | 可能吗 |
[28:23] | When news is uncovered, reporters report it. | 当新闻被揭露 记者进行报导 |
[28:27] | That is the essence of a free press. | 这才是新闻自由的本质 |
[28:30] | What if you bit into a cockroach one night | 假使你某天晚上吃到了个蟑螂 |
[28:33] | and then found out that we sat on that story? | 然后发现我们隐瞒不报 你会如何 |
[28:38] | Yes, | 没错 |
[28:41] | send us a message. | 是该给我们提个醒了 |
[28:46] | I was showing off in front of some friends, | 我是在一群朋友面前显摆 |
[28:48] | like I was cool, | 装作我很酷 |
[28:50] | and I did a terrible thing. | 我的确做了很可怕的事情 |
[28:51] | I, I know that it was cruel, | 我知道那样很残忍 |
[28:53] | I, I know that it was stupid. I just… | 我…我知道那样很蠢 我只是… |
[28:58] | I’m so sorry. | 我很抱歉 |
[29:03] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[29:05] | What were you thinking? | 你当时怎么想的 |
[29:07] | Just that my friends were all laughing and, | 我的朋友都在笑 |
[29:12] | daring me and, | 问我有没有胆量 |
[29:14] | and I guess I just felt that… | 我想我只是觉得… |
[29:17] | Like they were all looking at me like | 他们都看着我 像是 |
[29:18] | like, wow, you’re crazy, you… | 像是 哇哦 你疯了 你… |
[29:22] | You know that woman over there? Ms Tyler? | 你认识那位女士吗 Tyler太太 |
[29:25] | Yes. | 认识 |
[29:26] | She your neighbour? | 她是你的邻居 |
[29:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:28] | You knew that was her cat, her pet? | 你知道那是她的猫 她的宠物? |
[29:33] | Yes. | 知道 |
[29:36] | Counsel, statements? | 律师 还有陈述吗 |
[29:38] | I’d like to address the court briefly, yes. | 是的 我想向法庭做个简短的陈述 |
[29:41] | Tomorrow morning, ten o’clock. | 明天早上 十点 |
[29:49] | Hey, how’d it go? | 嘿 怎么样了 |
[29:51] | Okay, I think. Wow, look at you. | 还行 我觉得 哇哦 看看你 |
[29:54] | I have a date with a Celtic. | 我要跟一个凯尔特人约会 |
[29:55] | A Boston Celtic? | 波士顿凯尔特人队? |
[29:58] | Yeah, they’re getting paid again, and looking to date. | 是啊 他们又有薪水了 想找人约个会 |
[30:09] | The closing was good. | 结案陈词很棒 |
[30:11] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:13] | So we’re still fighting? | 我们还没有和好吗 |
[30:16] | Bobby, I wasn’t putting you down. | Bobby 我不是贬低你 |
[30:17] | I was talking about styles. | 我只是在说个人风格 |
[30:19] | I know | 我明白 |
[30:19] | And you called me dry. | 你却说我枯燥的 |
[30:20] | You said I give dry closings. | 你说我的陈词枯燥 |
[30:21] | I didn’t say that. | 我没有这么说 |
[30:22] | Yes, you did. Don’t deny | 不 你说了 别否认 |
[30:23] | Lindsay, as arguments go, this is a silly one. | Lindsay 这么吵下去 太傻了 |
[30:26] | Maybe my feelings got hurt a little, | 也许我觉得有点受伤 |
[30:27] | then I hurt yours, whatever, | 也许我伤了你 无论如何 |
[30:29] | but this really isn’t worth a grudge. | 这样互相怨恨根本不值得 |
[30:35] | Okay. | 你说得对 |
[30:37] | Let’s go home, get some sleep. | 回家吧 睡一觉 |
[30:39] | That summation made me drowsy. | 总结陈词听得我昏昏欲睡 |
[30:41] | Funny. | 好笑 |
[30:44] | Hey. How’s things? | 嘿 案子怎么样了 |
[30:48] | Jury’s deliberating, can’t really tell. | 陪审团还在审议 不知结果怎样 |
[30:51] | When are you gonna deal with Ellenor? | 你什么时候解决Ellenor的事 |
[30:53] | I’ll get to her. | 我会找她的 |
[30:54] | Bobby, she is still reeling | Bobby 她仍然在为 |
[30:55] | from losing the asbestos client. | 失去石棉公司这个客户不爽 |
[30:57] | She learned how much Lindsay makes, okay, | 她知道Lindsay赚了多少钱 好吧 |
[30:58] | that was my fault. | 这是我的错 |
[30:59] | She’s now urging Jimmy to make a play for partner | 她现在在说服Jimmy加入合伙人 |
[31:01] | so you two won’t be able to control the votes. | 这样你们就不能控制投票结果了 |
[31:03] | We have a little cancer growing here. | 我们内部出现问题了 |
[31:06] | I think you need to get to her now. | 我认为你应该立即去找她 |
[31:10] | Let’s schedule a meeting, I want everybody. | 安排个会议 所有人都参加 |
[31:13] | Okay. | 好的 |
[31:15] | Okay, I guess we should just open it up. | 好了 我想我们还是打开天窗说亮话吧 |
[31:17] | I’m not a partner, I don’t think I should be here. | 我不是合伙人 我觉得我不应该参与 |
[31:20] | This is more like a team meeting, Jimmy, | 这其实是个团队会议 Jimmy |
[31:23] | I want you here. | 我要求你参加 |
[31:25] | Ellenor, let’s begin with you. | Ellenor 从你开始 |
[31:26] | Bobby, sorry. Steven Wieland’s here. | Bobby 不好意思 Steven Wieland来了 |
[31:32] | Excuse me a second, Lindsay? | 稍等片刻 Lindsay? |
[31:43] | How was your date with the Celtic? | 你跟凯尔特人的约会如何 |
[31:45] | Slam dunk. I’m seeing him again. | 棒极了 我约他下次见 |
[31:47] | You’re dating a basketball player? | 你跟一个篮球队员在约会? |
[31:48] | They’re the most law abiding | 在职业运动员当中 |
[31:50] | of all professional athletes, Ellenor. | 他们是最遵纪守法的 Ellenor |
[31:51] | Yeah, but doesn’t your head come up to his | 没错 但你的头不是刚好到他的 |
[31:55] | you know, knee? | 嗯 膝盖? |
[31:56] | Nice. | 多谢 |
[31:57] | You know, | 你知道吗 |
[31:58] | if someone makes the slightest remark about your weight, | 要是有人提到你的体重一丁点 |
[32:00] | you’re quick to jump, | 你就扑上去了 |
[32:01] | but it’s okay to make fun of the short-statured. | 但是你取笑别人矮就没关系 |
[32:05] | I was making fun of the tall-statured. | 我是在取笑他身高太高 |
[32:11] | Absolutely sealed, | 完全保密 |
[32:12] | no admission of liability, | 不承认任何责任 |
[32:13] | not even a hint of it. | 一丝一毫都不行 |
[32:15] | I think my client’s going to want a public apology, | 我认为我的当事人想要公开道歉 |
[32:18] | otherwise | 不然的话 |
[32:18] | Your client’s going to turn down four hundred thousand dollars? | 你的当事人会拒绝四十万元吗 |
[32:21] | They put him out of business. | 他们弄得他破产 |
[32:22] | Which means he must need money. | 所以他肯定需要钱 |
[32:24] | Four hundred thousand. | 四十万 |
[32:27] | Something tells me he’s gonna take it. | 直觉告诉我他不会拒绝的 |
[32:30] | We’ll bring it to him. | 我们会传达给他的 |
[32:32] | Yesterday, I just wanted to plead this out | 昨天 我只想要解决这个案子 |
[32:35] | and get to a spa | 达成认罪协议 |
[32:36] | and have some Swedish sex god | 然后让某个瑞典性感男人 |
[32:38] | rub the cellulite out of my **. | 把我腿上的脂肪都按掉 |
[32:40] | But then I met Mrs Tyler, over here, | 但是我碰到了这位Tyler太太 |
[32:43] | and suddenly I became horrified | 突然间我对于自己竟然无动于衷 |
[32:47] | at my not being horrified over this. | 而感到恐慌 |
[32:50] | That young man grabbed her pet | 这个年轻人抓了她的猫 |
[32:54] | and hurled it out of a car | 把它扔出车窗外 |
[32:55] | going sixty miles an hour on a highway. | 从一辆时速60英里的车上 |
[32:58] | Imagine. | 想象一下 |
[32:59] | And imagine you, me and Mr Merino | 想象你 我 还有Merino先生 |
[33:02] | not even batting an eye. | 居然眼皮都不眨一下 |
[33:05] | It was somebody’s pet. | 这只猫是有主人的 |
[33:08] | And if he gets to just throw on a tie, stand contrite, | 如果他只是系上一条领带 站在那里痛悔 |
[33:12] | say he’s sorry and that’s the end of it, well | 说他对不起 这样就完了 |
[33:17] | Who are we? | 我们成什么了 |
[33:19] | What he did was depraved, it was sick. | 他干的事是恶劣的 变态的 |
[33:23] | And if we don’t punish him, well, | 如果我们不惩罚他 那 |
[33:25] | maybe we get the society we deserve. | 也许我们活该遇到这样的社会 |
[33:28] | I’m not saying lock him up forever, Your Honour, but, | 我不是说要关他一辈子 法官阁下 但是 |
[33:32] | for everybody’s sake, even his, | 为了其他人好 也为了他自己好 |
[33:37] | lock him up some. | 他得蹲一下牢 |
[33:46] | I’m not gonna stand here | 在这里我不会为 |
[33:47] | and defend what Brent Jones did. | Brent Jones的行为进行辩护 |
[33:51] | It was sick. | 的确是变态行为 |
[33:52] | And we should be horrified. | 我们的确应该觉得恐慌 |
[33:55] | But, as Miss Gamble admitted, | 但是 正如Gamble小姐承认 |
[33:57] | she changed her mind, | 她是因为见到了猫的主人 |
[33:59] | and decided against probation, | 才会改变主意 |
[34:01] | only because she met the owner of the pet. | 决定不能接受缓刑 |
[34:04] | And suddenly this case has a human face on it. | 这个案子突然有人情味在里面了 |
[34:06] | But, let’s be honest, | 但是 老实说 |
[34:09] | this is not a case about a crime against a person, | 这不是一个对人实施的犯罪行为 |
[34:12] | it was an animal. | 那是个动物 |
[34:14] | I don’t mean to sound cold, and again, | 我不是想显得很冷酷 再强调一次 |
[34:16] | let me reiterate my own personal condemnation | 让我重申我对于这个年轻人 |
[34:19] | to this young man’s act of cruelty, | 残酷行为的谴责 |
[34:22] | but this is about killing an animal. | 但被告只是杀了一只动物 |
[34:25] | And the killing of animals, | 而对于杀害动物 |
[34:26] | we slaughter cows, pigs in cruel ways, | 我们残忍的屠杀牛和猪 |
[34:30] | nobody gets arrested. | 没人会因此被捕 |
[34:32] | A cat is an animal. | 猫也是动物 |
[34:37] | Yes, a companion animal, | 当然 这是一只家猫 |
[34:39] | one that’s more loved by humans. | 受到人类的关爱 |
[34:41] | If this was a bobcat, | 但如果这是一只野猫 |
[34:42] | caught and tortured in a spring trap, | 被捕兽器夹住 遭受痛苦 |
[34:45] | we wouldn’t be here. | 不会有人起诉 |
[34:46] | But a domestic cat? | 但是家猫就很特别吗 |
[34:47] | We have to recognise the hypocrisy, don’t we? | 我们不得不承认这很虚伪 不是吗 |
[34:50] | We’re here, | 我们之所以站在这里 |
[34:51] | not because of some unusual act of cruelty, | 不是因为某些不寻常的残酷行为 |
[34:54] | but because it happened to a person’s pet. | 而是因为受害者碰巧是某人的宠物 |
[34:57] | However much we might want to | 无论我们多么想要 |
[34:58] | look at this as a crime against humanity, | 把这个案子看作是对人性的犯罪 |
[35:01] | it isn’t. | 它都不是 |
[35:05] | This is a good young man. | 这是一个优秀的年轻人 |
[35:08] | No record, honour student, from a good home. | 无犯罪记录 荣誉学生 来自良好的家庭 |
[35:11] | But he did something very stupid, | 但他做了一些非常愚蠢的事情 |
[35:14] | for which he is hugely sorry, | 他也为此十分的抱歉 |
[35:16] | but we have to keep things in perspective. | 但我们必须清醒地看待这一切 |
[35:23] | Two hundred and forty-two thousand dollars. | 二十四万两千元 |
[35:25] | That’s my problem. | 这就是我的问题 |
[35:27] | You know the pay structure, | 你知道工资的算法 |
[35:28] | percentage of the business brought in. | 按带进业务的百分比 |
[35:29] | I know that we take her clients, not mine. | 我知道 客户都是她带进来的 不是我 |
[35:31] | – I know that. – We voted on that asbestos client. | -这点我很清楚 -石棉客户我们是投票否定的 |
[35:33] | Right, three hands for, two against, | 没错 三人赞成 两人反对 |
[35:34] | and since yours count double | 但因为你有两票 |
[35:36] | Is that why you went to Jimmy? | 所以你找上了Jimmy |
[35:37] | To put a hand in your pocket? | 想拉拢一个人去你的阵营 |
[35:38] | Two hundred and forty-two thousand dollars. | 二十四万两千 |
[35:41] | Since when did you take | Ellenor 什么时侯开始 |
[35:42] | such a strong interest in math, Ellenor? | 你对数字那么敏感了 |
[35:43] | Certain equations fascinate me. | 我喜欢做加减乘除 |
[35:45] | Try adding two plus two. | 那二加二等于几 |
[35:46] | You couldn’t do that with your asbestos clients. | 碰到石棉公司 你就不会算了吧 |
[35:48] | What is that supposed to mean? | 你什么意思 |
[35:49] | They’re good people, | 他们都是好人 |
[35:50] | they didn’t know their stuff was killing people. | 他们不知道他们的产品正在毒害消费者 |
[35:52] | That’s crap. | 狗屁不通 |
[35:53] | They knew at the turn of the century that asbestos kills, | 从上世纪他们就知道石棉能杀人 |
[35:55] | but if they pay their legal bills | 但要是他们付得起律师费 |
[35:56] | we’ll just ignore it and pretend they’re saints | 我们就忽略它 假装他们是圣人 |
[36:00] | Bobby Bobby? | |
[36:00] | What? | 干嘛 |
[36:01] | Hey! You know, it’s a small head, | 嘿 搞清楚 虽然我职位低 |
[36:04] | and you can all bite it off, | 你们都可以骑在我的头上 |
[36:05] | but there’s just not enough to go round. | 但我也是必不可少的 |
[36:07] | The Jacobs family’s here. | Jacob一家人来了 |
[36:10] | Let’s pick this up in ten. | 我们十点再继续 |
[36:12] | I’m not picking this up. I’m sick of this. | 我不想再继续了 我受不了了 |
[36:13] | What’s your problem? | 你又怎么了 |
[36:14] | The problem is this partnership. | 问题在于合伙关系 |
[36:16] | We used to be lawyers just taking the cases | 过去我们做律师 |
[36:17] | we felt like taking. | 案子想接就接 |
[36:18] | Ever since we became partners, | 自从我们变成合伙人之后 |
[36:20] | splitting up pieces of the pie, it’s all about that. | 就像分蛋糕一样 分多分少 |
[36:23] | All about money. | 都是为了钱 |
[36:24] | Nobody’s forcing you, Eugene. You can divest. | 没人强迫你 Eugene 你可以退出 |
[36:26] | But the rot is already in the wood. | 但是事务所的风气已经被败坏了 |
[36:28] | So you might as well take your cut. | 你可以独善其身嘛 |
[36:29] | – You pissy little bitch. – You know what, Lindsay? | -你个贱人 -你知道吗 Lindsay |
[36:31] | Oh, come on. | 哦 别这样 |
[36:31] | I’ve been trying to defend you, | 我一直试着帮你说话 |
[36:33] | but it’s getting harder and harder. | 但却变得越来越难 |
[36:34] | Defend me against what? Her? | 帮我对付谁 她? |
[36:36] | Help someone who needs it. | 去帮有需要的人吧 |
[36:37] | Is this what happens to women when you insert your penis? | 被你干过的女人都会变成这个样子吗 |
[36:39] | -I’m just curious because it becomes really… -Hey! | -我很好奇 因为真的… -嘿 |
[36:41] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[36:44] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[37:02] | It’s fine, they’re just strategising. | 没事 他们只是在讨论案子 |
[37:15] | Come on. | 住手 |
[37:17] | Donnell, Young, Dole and Frutt. | Donnell Young Dole和Frutt事务所 |
[37:18] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[37:20] | Hey! | 嘿 |
[37:21] | Verdict. | 判决出来了 |
[37:23] | C’mon, there’s an offer on the table. | 快走 对方提了个和解方案 |
[37:25] | We can, we can discuss it on the way, let’s go. | 我们可以 可以在路上讨论 走吧 |
[37:28] | None of my business, | 虽然不关我的事 |
[37:29] | but you got a big morale problem here. | 但你们绝对有内部矛盾 |
[37:38] | Mr Merino’s point is well taken. | Merino的观点没有错 |
[37:41] | We drop live lobsters in hot, boiling water, | 我们把活的龙虾扔到开水里 |
[37:44] | we chop off chicken’s heads and then happily enjoy the meal. | 我们把鸡头剁了 然后享受一餐美食 |
[37:48] | To actually put a person in jail for killing an animal. | 为杀了一只动物就把人关进监狱? |
[37:56] | But I agree with Miss Gamble. | 但我也同意Gamble小姐的说法 |
[37:59] | This was an act against decency. | 这是有违良善风俗的行为 |
[38:02] | And to trivialise it would be an crime against humanity. | 而忽略这一行为 本身也是对人性的冒犯 |
[38:06] | There has to be a consequence. | 必须得承担后果 |
[38:09] | For the sake of society, | 为了这个社会 |
[38:11] | for the sake of Miss Tyler, | 为了Tyler太太 |
[38:15] | for the sake of an innocent cat. | 为了那只无辜的猫 |
[38:20] | I sentence you to one year in county, | 本庭判你一年有期徒刑 |
[38:22] | nine months suspended, | 九个月缓刑 |
[38:24] | the remaining three to be served, starting now. | 另外的三个月在监狱服刑 即时生效 |
[38:28] | Bailiff, take the defendant into custody. | 法警 将被告羁押 |
[38:31] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[38:36] | Thank you. | 谢谢你 |
[38:46] | It’s still not too late. The offer’s still… | 还不算太晚 方案仍然… |
[38:48] | I said no. | 我说了我拒绝 |
[38:49] | Joseph, it’s four hundred thousand dollars. | Joseph 那是四十万元 |
[38:51] | Take it. | 接受吧 |
[38:52] | I want them to say that they were wrong. | 我想要他们承认做错了 |
[38:55] | They won’t do that. | 他们不会承认的 |
[38:56] | Then we don’t settle. | 那我们就不和解 |
[39:09] | Members of the jury, you’ve reached a verdict? | 陪审团成员们 你们做出判决了吗 |
[39:11] | We have, Your Honour. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[39:12] | Your Honour, | 法官阁下 |
[39:13] | one second to confer with counsel, one second. | 请求跟原告律师协商一下 马上就好 |
[39:17] | Hurry up. | 快点 |
[39:20] | One point five, still no admission. | 一百五十万 不承认任何责任 |
[39:22] | No. I want the admission. | 不 我要他们承认 |
[39:27] | Unsealed. | 不用保密? |
[39:29] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:30] | If it’s unsealed, the public sees the amount. | 如果不用保密 公众就能知道赔偿数额 |
[39:33] | That’s the same as an admission. | 这就跟认错了一样 |
[39:35] | One point five, Joe, take it. | 一百五十万 Joe 接受吧 |
[39:38] | They’re afraid it’ll be more. | 他们唯恐会赔得更多 |
[39:39] | Maybe, but that kind of money | 有可能 但这么大一笔钱 |
[39:41] | No. | 不 |
[39:44] | Counsel? | 原告律师 |
[39:47] | Go ahead. | 继续吧 |
[39:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[39:50] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[39:51] | Jacobs versus WYPR Broadcasting Company, | Jacobs诉WYPR广播公司 |
[39:56] | on the grounds of fraud, | 关于欺诈一案 |
[39:57] | we find in favour of the plaintiff | 我们判决原告胜诉 |
[40:00] | and order the defendant to pay damages | 并裁定被告支付原告补偿性赔偿 |
[40:02] | in the amount of two hundred thousand dollars. | 总共二十万元 |
[40:10] | We further order the defendant to pay punitive damages | 此外 裁定被告支付原告惩罚性赔偿 |
[40:14] | in the amount of eighteen million dollars. | 总共一千八百万元 |
[40:19] | What? Did she say eighteen million? | 什么 她刚才是说一千八百万吗 |
[40:22] | Yes! | 是啊 |
[40:23] | Order! | 肃静 |
[40:29] | You gotta be kidding me. | 你们开什么玩笑 |
[40:32] | You jackasses. | 你们这群混账东西 |
[40:34] | Your Honour, I’m not sure if that’s appropriate. | 法官阁下 这么说好像不合适吧 |
[40:37] | Eighteen million dollars, what the hell is that? | 一千八百万 搞什么飞机 |
[40:40] | You find for the plaintiff, okay. | 你们判原告胜诉 没问题 |
[40:42] | Personally I disagree, | 虽然我个人不认同 |
[40:43] | but I was prepared to let it stand. | 但我也不准备推翻你们的裁决 |
[40:45] | But eighteen million? | 可是一千八百万? |
[40:47] | That’s sounds to me like there’s bias going on. | 听上去似乎太过偏袒了 |
[40:51] | You seem like very nice people but | 你们看着都是好人 可是… |
[40:55] | I’ll let the verdict stand, | 陪审团的裁决有效 |
[40:57] | tempted as I am to vacate it. | 尽管我很想撤销 |
[40:59] | But I’m cutting the damages to two million. | 但是我要将赔偿金额减到两百万 |
[41:02] | You, sir, should accept it and smile. | 你 先生 应该笑着接受它 |
[41:03] | Now, I’m going to go for a walk. | 现在 我要出去走走 |
[41:05] | Any luck, I’ll be nicked by a bus, | 幸运的话 我被车撞一下 |
[41:08] | sprain a knee, file a claim, | 弄伤膝盖 提出索赔 |
[41:09] | get rich and retire to the Bahamas. | 发一笔横财 然后退休去巴哈马 |
[41:11] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[41:21] | Two is nice. | 两百万很好 |
[41:22] | Eighteen is better, but two is nice. | 一千八百万更好 但两百万很好了 |
[41:25] | Sure is. | 当然了 |
[41:26] | We can open up a new restaurant. | 我们可以开一家新餐厅 |
[41:28] | With mahogany tables, curtains | 买红木桌子 窗帘 |
[41:29] | Bug spray. | 还有杀虫剂 |
[41:30] | I don’t know how to say thank you. | 我不知道如何感谢你们 |
[41:33] | Congratulations, Lindsay | 恭喜你 Lindsay |
[41:35] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[41:36] | A toast! Wait wait wait wait! | 干杯 等一下 等一下 |
[41:38] | Can we take a picture? | 我们能拍张照吗 |
[41:39] | I’d like to take a picture of us with our lawyers. | 我想要跟我们的两位律师拍张合照 |
[41:42] | Miss Washington, please? | Washington小姐 麻烦? |
[41:44] | Sure. | 没问题 |
[41:46] | Two million, unbelievable. | 两百万 太不可思议了 |
[41:48] | Tell me about it. | 可不是吗 |
[41:49] | That’s almost seven hundred thousand to the firm on contingency, | 给事务所带来了差不多七十万的律师费 |
[41:52] | you realise that? | 你能想象吗 |
[41:53] | Whoa. | 哇哦 |
[41:54] | And Lindsay’s client too. | 这也是Lindsay的客户 |
[41:56] | She could make over a million this year. | 今年她至少能赚一百万 |
[41:58] | Yep. | 是啊 |
[42:03] | Smile. | 笑一个 |