时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | I was at the preliminary hearing | 但是在预审的时候我可是在场 |
[00:03] | where you testified that your father shot your mother. | 你当时作证说你父亲枪杀了你母亲 |
[00:06] | And that wasn’t the truth. | 但这不是真相 |
[00:07] | Why would you wait till now to change your story | 你为什么等到现在才改变证词 |
[00:09] | I just couldn’t go through with it. | 我只是不能接受自己这么做 |
[00:11] | What do you think I should do? | 你觉得我应该怎么办 |
[00:12] | Well, I would normally advise you to tell the truth. | 呃 通常我会建议你说出事实真相 |
[00:14] | But if the truth is something different | 但是如果事实真相 |
[00:16] | than what you said at the prelim, | 跟你在预审中的证词有所不同 |
[00:17] | telling the truth would expose you to perjury charges. | 说出真相可能让你面临伪证罪的指控 |
[00:21] | He is my dad. | 他是我爸爸 |
[00:22] | If it wasn’t true, what really happened? | 如果那不是真相 那真相到底是怎样的 |
[00:24] | I was angry. | 我当时很生气 |
[00:25] | My father pulled the gun on me, | 我父亲拿枪指着我 |
[00:27] | then I basically attacked him. | 然后我就动手打了他 |
[00:28] | Look, I’m sorry about all of this. | 我对这一切深感抱歉 |
[00:30] | but it really was an accicent. | 但真的是个意外 |
[00:32] | We find the defendant Gordon Armbrust, | 我们判决被告Gordon Armbrust |
[00:35] | not guilty | 无罪 |
[00:36] | Gary Armbrust Gary Armbrust. | |
[00:37] | You’re under the arrest for the murder of Charlotte Armbrust. | 现在以涉嫌谋杀Charlotte Armbrust逮捕你 |
[00:39] | What? | 什么 |
[00:40] | What’s going on here? | 这是怎么回事 |
[00:40] | By his own testimony as well as his father’s, | 根据他自己的证词 以及他父亲的证词 |
[00:43] | the gun went off when he attacked his father. | 枪是在他动手打他父亲的时候走火的 |
[00:45] | Accidental shooting or not, felony murder rule applies. | 不管开枪是不是意外 重罪谋杀原则都适用 |
[00:48] | What is she talking about? | 她在说什么呢 |
[00:49] | You’re looking at an automatic life sentence, Gary, | 你会被判终生监禁 Gary |
[00:51] | that’s what I’m talking about. | 我说的就是这个 |
[00:53] | Is this true? Could I get life? | 是真的吗 我会被判终生监禁吗 |
[00:55] | Tell me! | 告诉我 |
[00:57] | What the hell is going on! | 这到底是怎么回事 |
[01:01] | Basically felony murder. | 所谓重罪谋杀 |
[01:02] | If in the commission of a felony murder happens, | 是指如果在实施重罪的过程中 发生了谋杀 |
[01:05] | they can get you for murder | 他们可以判谋杀罪 |
[01:07] | even if it’s accidental. | 即便确实是意外 |
[01:08] | Intent doesn’t matter. | 是否有犯罪意图在所不问 |
[01:09] | W-what was my felony? | 我 我的重罪是什么 |
[01:11] | Your attack on your father. | 你动手袭击你的父亲 |
[01:12] | The DA’s calling it aggravated, | 地区检察官主张这是加重的犯罪 |
[01:14] | which brings it up to felony. | 也就是说你实施了重罪 |
[01:16] | Which means she can push through with felony murder. | 这意味着她可以用重罪谋杀来起诉你 |
[01:18] | It’s completely bogus, Gary. | 这个指控完全不靠谱 Gary |
[01:20] | She is punishing you for refusing to testify against your dad. | 她是因为你拒绝指证你的父亲而报复你 |
[01:24] | Well, can this stick? | 那么 她能得逞吗 |
[01:25] | I’m bringing a motion to have it kicked | 我会申请法官驳回这个案子 |
[01:27] | and I hope the judge… | 我希望法官… |
[01:28] | Why didn’t you tell me they could do this? | 你之前为什么不告诉我他们可以这么做 |
[01:29] | It’s an outrageous charge. She is angry… | 这个指控完全出人意料 她恼羞成怒… |
[01:31] | You told me that I was facing perjury, Ellenor. | 你告诉我我面临的是伪证罪指控 Ellenor |
[01:34] | That’s what you said. | 你是这么说的 |
[01:35] | And now I’m going up on murder. | 结果现在我被指控谋杀罪 |
[01:37] | Why didn’t you tell me? | 你为什么不告诉我 |
[01:39] | I’m gonna take care of it. | 我会妥善处理的 |
[01:42] | Forget it. | 不可能 |
[01:43] | Come on, Helen. You know… | 拜托 Helen 你知道… |
[01:44] | Your kid made a choice, Ellenor. | 这是你的当事人自己选择的 Ellenor |
[01:46] | My kid? | 我的当事人? |
[01:47] | I took him at your request | 我接这个案子 |
[01:48] | to advise him against perjury. | 是因为你请我向他建议不要犯伪证罪 |
[01:49] | You never threw out the possibility of felony murder. | 你从来没有提到过有可能指控重罪谋杀 |
[01:51] | Because I hadn’t thought of it then. | 因为那个时候我还没想到 |
[01:53] | This is prosecutorial misconduct and you know it! | 你这是检方行为不当 你自己也明白 |
[01:55] | Ellenor, bring your motion. | Ellenor 你去提交动议吧 |
[01:56] | I’m not letting him go! | 我不会放过他的 |
[01:59] | Helen Helen, | |
[02:00] | Listen to the sound of your voice. | 你听听你自己的语气 |
[02:03] | You’ve lost your way. | 你已经迷失方向了 |
[02:06] | Somebody was murdered. | 有人被谋害 |
[02:07] | Somebody’s gonna pay for it. | 一定要有人付出代价 |
[02:09] | That’s my way. | 这就是我的方向 |
[02:57] | You know she’s crazy. | 你知道她已经疯了 |
[02:58] | She’s just a little motivated. | 她只是做事太积极 |
[03:00] | So, we’re continuing on with the kid? | 这么说 我们继续帮这个孩子辩护? |
[03:03] | Well, I guess I’m still his lawyer. | 是啊 我还是他的律师嘛 |
[03:04] | This is a nightmare! | 简直是场噩梦 |
[03:07] | Anybody want an attempted murder? | 有没有人想做谋杀未遂案 |
[03:09] | I got Sybil Boyle from the PD’s office. | 公设辩护律师中心的Sybil Boyle打电话来 |
[03:12] | They got a guy who’d fired six lawyers. | 他们有个当事人已经六次解雇律师 |
[03:13] | Trial starts tomorrow. | 案子明天就开庭 |
[03:15] | They’re looking to lujack. | 他们想推卸案子 |
[03:16] | Tell them thanks, but no thanks. | 跟他们说声谢谢 但是我们不接 |
[03:17] | I’ll do it. | 我来做吧 |
[03:18] | Attempted murder beats paperwork. | 做谋杀未遂总比在这里整理文件强 |
[03:20] | You know, Rebecca, | 你知道吗 Rebecca |
[03:22] | when you were office administrator | 当初你管行政的时候 |
[03:23] | you’d kick and scream at all the pro bono stuff. | 这些法律援助的案子总是让你抓狂 |
[03:25] | Now that you’re a lawyer? | 现在你自己成了律师了? |
[03:26] | Like you all say, it’s good experience. | 正像你们说的 这是积累经验的好机会 |
[03:28] | Well, I got her on hold here. | 快点 她还在电话里等着呢 |
[03:29] | Tell her I’ll do it. | 跟她说我愿意做 |
[03:30] | Yeah. | 好 |
[03:35] | She was convinced she’d look better | 她坚信如果把颧骨做高一点 |
[03:37] | with higher cheekbones. | 她会变得更漂亮 |
[03:38] | I thought it ridiculous, but… | 我觉得是胡扯 但是… |
[03:39] | But your wife wanted it. | 但是你的妻子坚持要做 |
[03:40] | Yes. So she went in to get implants, | 是的 所以她就去做颧骨增高手术 |
[03:43] | they told us it would be pretty routine. | 他们告诉我们说这是很常规的手术 |
[03:45] | They being? | “他们”指的是? |
[03:46] | Dr Leach and the others at the hospital. | Leach医生和医院里的那些人 |
[03:49] | She went in on a Monday, | 她是星期一入院 |
[03:50] | had the surgery on Tuesday and came home that day. | 星期二做的手术 当天就回家了 |
[03:53] | And everything seemed okay? | 一切看起来都很正常? |
[03:54] | Well, she was swollen and in some pain, | 呃 她有点浮肿 有点疼痛 |
[03:58] | but they gave her medication. | 不过他们给她开了药 |
[04:00] | Everything seemed okay until Wednesday night. | 一切都还正常 直到星期三晚上 |
[04:02] | What happened then, sir? | 当时发生了什么情况 先生 |
[04:05] | She complained about having a fever and then, | 她说觉得自己发烧 然后 |
[04:09] | suddenly, just blacks out. | 突然就晕过去了 |
[04:12] | I called 911 and the paramedics came. | 我打了911 救护车过来了 |
[04:16] | They, uh, | 他们 呃 |
[04:20] | they said she had no pulse. | 他们说她已经没有脉搏了 |
[04:22] | They brought out those shock paddle things | 他们拿出那种休克电击的东西 |
[04:27] | and started jolting her. | 开始对她电击 |
[04:30] | And then they stopped. | 然后他们停下来 |
[04:33] | She was gone. | 她已经走了 |
[04:37] | Did Dr Leach offer any explanation? | Leach医生有没有向你解释原因 |
[04:40] | He said she got an infection. | 他说是因为她感染了 |
[04:42] | From the operation? | 手术过程中的感染? |
[04:44] | He didn’t know. | 他不清楚 |
[04:45] | He said she could’ve gotten it at the hospital | 他说有可能是在医院感染的 |
[04:47] | or she could’ve gotten it at home. | 也有可能是回家之后感染的 |
[04:48] | He said these things happen sometimes. | 他说这种这种情况总是难免 |
[04:52] | But you believe Dr Leach did something wrong. | 但是你觉得Leach医生有失误? |
[04:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[04:58] | Why, Mr. Minor? | 为什么 Minor先生 |
[05:00] | The way he told me. | 他跟我说话的语气 |
[05:02] | The way he cut our conversations short ever since. | 从此之后 他开始回避我的问题 |
[05:05] | The way he wouldn’t talk anymore. | 他不愿意跟我说话 |
[05:10] | He did something wrong. | 他肯定犯了错误 |
[05:17] | Mr. Little, | Little先生 |
[05:17] | My name is Rebecca Washington, | 我叫Rebecca Washington |
[05:19] | I’m your new lawyer. | 我是你的新律师 |
[05:24] | I understand you’ve had some difficulty | 我知道你跟之前的六个律师之间 |
[05:26] | with your six previous lawyers. | 合作得不太愉快 |
[05:27] | Anything in particular they got wrong? | 他们究竟做错了什么事情呢 |
[05:30] | I’d like to get a head start. | 我想先了解一下 |
[05:34] | I didn’t like ’em. | 我不喜欢他们 |
[05:37] | Okay. Well, | 好吧 那么 |
[05:38] | uh, since your trial starts tomorrow | 呃 鉴于你的案子明天就要开庭 |
[05:40] | I need to get up to speed. | 我需要了解案情 |
[05:41] | So, according to the officers | 那么 根据警官们的说法 |
[05:43] | you fired a revolver at them. | 你用左轮手枪向他们开枪 |
[05:47] | Did that happen? | 是这样吗 |
[05:51] | No. | 不是 |
[05:53] | Okay, two officers are testifying it did. | 但是 有两位警官作证说是这样 |
[05:56] | Do we have anybody on your side | 有没有证人能够帮你作证 |
[05:58] | to say it didn’t? | 证明事实不是这样 |
[06:00] | No. | 没有 |
[06:02] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[06:05] | This charge is clearly punitive. | 这个指控完全是在报复 |
[06:07] | The district attorney has no good faith belief | 地区检察官并不能合理地确信 |
[06:10] | that the defendant is guilty of felony murder. | 被告真的犯了重罪谋杀 |
[06:12] | Defense counsel has no foundation to evaluate my good faith… | 辩护律师没有依据来判断我的内心确信… |
[06:15] | She was prosecuting the father for murder. | 她当时以谋杀罪起诉他的父亲 |
[06:17] | The defendant admitted to attacking his father | 被告承认袭击了他的父亲 |
[06:19] | causing the gun to go off. | 导致枪走火 |
[06:21] | But you don’t believe that, Helen | 但是你并不相信他的话 Helen |
[06:22] | -and you know the jury won’t either. -Again, you’re a mind reader! | -而且你知道陪审团同样不会相信的 -又来了 你会读心术吗 |
[06:23] | No. I have ears. | 不会 但我有耳朵 |
[06:24] | You stood in front of the jury | 你当时站在陪审团面前 |
[06:25] | and you said that Gary Armbrust | 你告诉他们说 |
[06:27] | was making this whole thing up | Gary Armbrust编造了这一切 |
[06:28] | to spare his father a life sentence. | 为了避免他的父亲被判终生监禁 |
[06:30] | Counsel, these are questions of fact. | 律师 这些都是事实问题 |
[06:32] | The boy stated under oath | 这孩子在法庭上宣誓之后 |
[06:33] | that he assaulted his father, | 作证说他袭击了他的父亲 |
[06:34] | that’s enough for me to hold him. | 我认为已经足够起诉他了 |
[06:35] | Even assuming that to be true, | 即便你说的是对的 |
[06:37] | felony murder still doesn’t apply. | 重罪谋杀仍然不适用 |
[06:39] | That law was designed | 该罪名的立法目的针对的是 |
[06:40] | for robberies or kidnappings, rapes. | 抢劫或者绑架 强奸 |
[06:43] | Felonies for which it is foreseeable | 在实施这些重罪的过程中 |
[06:45] | that a murder could result. | 可以预见到可能发生谋杀的后果 |
[06:47] | You charge a man with a gun | 你用枪指着别人 |
[06:48] | it’s foreseeable it could go off. | 你应当预见到枪可能会走火 |
[06:49] | I would also remind the court of the Merger Doctrine. | 我还希望提请法庭注意”吸收原则” |
[06:52] | The felony act has to be independent of the killing | 重罪行为本身必须独立于杀人行为 |
[06:55] | for a felony murder to apply. | 才能适用重罪谋杀 |
[06:56] | Here it was | 而在本案中 |
[06:58] | the alleged felony itself that caused the death… | 是所谓的重罪行为本身导致了死亡… |
[07:00] | Massachusetts has never recognized the Merger Doctrine. | 马萨诸塞州从来没有承认”吸收原则” |
[07:03] | Can I finish? | 我可以把话说完吗 |
[07:03] | Actually, you have. | 其实 你已经说完了 |
[07:04] | I’m denying the motion to dismiss. | 驳回要求不予受理的动议 |
[07:06] | The charges stand. | 指控可以成立 |
[07:08] | The defendant will be held without bail, | 被告羁押候审且不得保释 |
[07:09] | we can conference | 我们可以在 |
[07:11] | Wednesday to set a trial date. | 星期三碰头 确定开庭日期 |
[07:13] | This is a railroad! | 这完全是枉法陷害 |
[07:14] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[07:15] | This boy is being charged with a crime | 我们都知道这个孩子是无辜的 |
[07:17] | we all know he didn’t commit. | 可是他却被起诉犯罪 |
[07:18] | Well, next time he should think better of confessing. | 下一次 他在供述之前最好自己想清楚 |
[07:22] | She had gone into septic shock. | 她已经出现了败血性休克 |
[07:25] | That led to full cardiac arrest | 由此导致了心脏停搏 |
[07:27] | which ultimately was the cause of death. | 并最终因此而死亡 |
[07:30] | And, doctor, do you have an opinion | 那么医生 根据你的观点 |
[07:32] | as to what caused Mrs. Minor | 你认为是什么原因导致了 |
[07:33] | to go into septic shock? | Minor太太发生败血性休克 |
[07:34] | The blood tests show a massive infection | 血液检测的结果显示 |
[07:37] | caused by streptococcus bacteria. | 是由链球菌引起的大规模感染 |
[07:39] | This would explain why her fever spiked. | 这也可以解释她为什么会高烧不退 |
[07:41] | And, doctor, do you have an opinion | 那么医生 根据你的观点 |
[07:43] | as to how Mrs. Minor became exposed to this bacteria? | Minor太太为什么会受到这种细菌的感染 |
[07:46] | It had to happen during her cheekbone implant operation. | 必定是在她做颧骨增高手术的过程中感染的 |
[07:50] | The likelihood is there was some | 很有可能 |
[07:51] | contamination in the operating room. | 手术室中存在细菌污染 |
[07:54] | You can establish that for a fact? | 对此你能够完全确定吗 |
[07:56] | Well, we can’t say it to a medical certainty, | 呃 我们不能达到医学上的确定程度 |
[07:59] | but since all other explanations | 但是由于所有其他可能的解释 |
[08:01] | have been eliminated, I… | 都被排除了 我… |
[08:02] | No autopsy was done on the patient, | 病人没有进行尸检 |
[08:04] | was there, doctor? | 对不对 医生 |
[08:05] | No, and there should have been… | 没有 其实本来应该… |
[08:06] | Well, without an autopsy | 那么 没有尸检 |
[08:07] | we can never really know for sure | 我们永远不可能确切地知道 |
[08:09] | what killed Mrs. Minor, can we? | Minor太太的死亡原因是什么 对吧 |
[08:11] | When a postoperative patient goes into | 当一个术后病人 |
[08:13] | septic shock within 48 hours | 在手术后48小时内发生 |
[08:16] | -of the operation, we know… – Move to strike, non-responsive. | -败血性休克 我们知道… -请求不予记录 答非所问 |
[08:18] | Move to strike! | 请求不予记录 |
[08:19] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[08:20] | People should not die from cosmetic surgery. | 整容手术不应该导致人们死亡 |
[08:23] | Did you ever examine Mrs. Minor, Dr. Reynolds? | 你有没有检查过Minor太太 Reynolds医生 |
[08:27] | No. | 没有 |
[08:27] | Did you ever meet her? | 你有没有见过她 |
[08:28] | No | 没有 |
[08:29] | Are you being paid for today’s testimony? | 你今天来出庭作证是要收费的? |
[08:31] | Objection. | 反对 |
[08:32] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[08:33] | Are you being paid, sir? | 你是否收取费用 先生 |
[08:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[08:36] | How much? | 多少 |
[08:36] | Seventy-five hundred dollars | 7500元 |
[08:37] | How many court cases do you testify in per year? | 你每年要为多少件案子出庭作证 |
[08:41] | Objection, this is completely irrelevant. | 反对 这与本案完全没有关联 |
[08:44] | I’ll allow it. | 反对无效 |
[08:45] | How many cases, sir? | 多少个案子 先生 |
[08:47] | I have no idea. | 我不清楚 |
[08:48] | More than 50? | 有超过50件吗 |
[08:49] | Probably. | 可能吧 |
[08:50] | In fact, that’s what you do, isn’t it? | 事实上 这是你的职业 对不对 |
[08:52] | You’re a hired gun | 你专门收钱帮人作证 |
[08:53] | who goes from courthouse to courthouse. | 你从一个法庭跑到另一个法庭 |
[08:54] | You’re on every plaintiff attorney’s list, aren’t you? | 每个原告律师都跟你有联系 对吧 |
[08:57] | Objection! | 反对 |
[08:58] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[08:59] | You have no evidence that | 你并没有证据能够证明 |
[09:01] | my client did anything negligent, | 我的当事人存在任何过错 |
[09:03] | do you, sir? | 是不是 先生 |
[09:03] | When one of his patients dies… | 如果他的病人死亡… |
[09:05] | Please answer the question. | 请你回答我的问题 |
[09:07] | I’m not asking for any assumptions. | 我并没有让你做任何假设 |
[09:09] | You cannot point to any specific incidence | 你并不能指出 |
[09:12] | of negligence with respect to Dr. Leach, | Leach医生存在任何具体明确的过错 |
[09:15] | can you? | 是不是 |
[09:16] | No. | 是 |
[09:18] | I was going to visit a friend. | 我当时准备去看一个朋友 |
[09:20] | At 3 o’clock in the morning? | 在凌晨三点钟? |
[09:22] | Yeah. | 是啊 |
[09:22] | And then? | 然后呢 |
[09:23] | I heard shots, I ran, | 我听到枪声 我开始跑 |
[09:25] | they grabbed me. | 他们抓住我 |
[09:26] | What, that’s not in there? | 怎么 这些你都不知道? |
[09:27] | Those other 6 lawyers didn’t take notes? | 前面那六个律师难道没有记笔记? |
[09:29] | The police said… | 警察说… |
[09:30] | I know what they said! It didn’t happen. | 我知道他们怎么说的 那不是事实 |
[09:33] | Okay. The friend you went to see. | 好吧 你准备去看的那个朋友 |
[09:37] | You never saw him? | 你没有见到他吗 |
[09:38] | I had the wrong address. | 我把地址搞错了 |
[09:39] | Okay. Can you tell me anything else? | 好的 你还有什么要告诉我的吗 |
[09:41] | Nope. | 没有 |
[09:43] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[09:47] | I want you to think about something. | 我希望你再好好想想 |
[09:49] | That building was dark. | 那栋楼当时光线很暗 |
[09:51] | The police were shooting. | 警察向你开枪 |
[09:52] | Self-defence is a possible option. | 正当防卫或许可以考虑 |
[09:54] | I said I didn’t do it. Are you deaf? | 我说了不是我干的 你是聋子吗 |
[09:56] | ARE YOU DEAF? | 你是聋子吗 |
[10:01] | No, I’m not deaf. | 不 我不是聋子 |
[10:08] | Please don’t scream at me. | 请不要冲着我咆哮 |
[10:12] | Given your, ah, felony record | 考虑到 呃 你的重罪前科 |
[10:14] | my plan is not to have you testify. | 我决定不传你出庭作证 |
[10:16] | If you take the stand | 如果你来作证的话 |
[10:17] | all your priors can come into evidence, | 你之前的所有前科都会成为证据 |
[10:19] | so for now | 所以目前 |
[10:20] | I don’t plan to put you in the witness chair. | 我不准备让你站上证人席 |
[10:25] | Thank you for seeing me. | 谢谢你抽空跟我们见面 |
[10:26] | I thought if we all got in a room, | 我觉得如果我们能够坐下来谈 |
[10:28] | We can all agree that there has been | 我们首先能够达成一致的意见是 |
[10:29] | a certain level of frustration at work here. | 这是我们都不希望看到的结果 |
[10:31] | Why are you frustrated, Mr. Hunter? | 你有什么不希望看到的 Hunter先生 |
[10:33] | You got an acquittal for your client. | 你的当事人已经被无罪释放了 |
[10:35] | Yes. | 对 |
[10:36] | But if you proceed to try Gary for felony murder, | 但是如果你坚持起诉Gary重罪谋杀 |
[10:39] | that would obviously be pretty disturbing for Gordon. | Gordon显然会觉得很担心 |
[10:41] | And who knows? | 谁知道呢 |
[10:42] | He might even get up there and testify | 他或许会再次出庭作证 |
[10:43] | that he shot his wife of his own accord, | 说是他自己枪杀了他的妻子 |
[10:45] | no provocation from Gary. | 跟Gary没有任何关系 |
[10:48] | In which case I go after him for perjury. | 这样的话 我会起诉他伪证罪 |
[10:51] | This really is not about threats. | 我们今天真不是来听你威胁的 |
[10:53] | I came in here to make an offer. | 我来是想跟你做个交易 |
[10:54] | Certainly if Gordon did give that testimony, | 当然 如果Gordon真做了这样的证言 |
[10:56] | implicating himself in a crime | 承认自己实施了犯罪 |
[10:58] | for which he has already been acquitted, | 而这项罪名已经被陪审团裁定不成立 |
[11:00] | then double jeopardy would mean… | 那么根据双重危险原则… |
[11:02] | Get out | 滚出去 |
[11:03] | Here is the offer. | 我们的条件是这样的 |
[11:05] | Gordon will accept a year on a perjury charge, | Gordon愿意认伪证罪 入狱一年 |
[11:07] | I’m sure Miss. Frutt can convince Gary | 我相信Frutt小姐可以说服Gary |
[11:09] | to accept a one year sentence also on perjury, | 承认伪证罪 同样入狱一年 |
[11:11] | and that means no one walks off free | 这样一来 没有人逃脱惩罚 |
[11:13] | and the public and you can feel some sense of vindication. | 公众和你在心理上都能够接受 |
[11:17] | How dare you come in here and even suggest that? | 你怎么敢跑到这里来开出这样的条件 |
[11:19] | Helen Helen? | |
[11:19] | And you? | 还有你 |
[11:20] | Look, I didn’t know what he was going to say. | 我之前又不知道他今天会说些什么 |
[11:22] | He’s the guy you want | 你想要抓的人是他 |
[11:23] | a year is better than nothing. | 一年监禁总比完全逃脱强 |
[11:24] | Your guy’s getting life, | 你的当事人将会被判终生监禁 |
[11:26] | Ellenor. Life! | Ellenor 终生监禁 |
[11:27] | As for you, I’ll figure something out. | 至于你 我会再想办法对付你 |
[11:30] | You’re not going to figure anything. | 你没有任何办法 |
[11:31] | Get out, Mr. Hunter! | 滚出去 Hunter先生 |
[11:32] | I am making an offer… | 我是来谈条件… |
[11:33] | I said get out! | 我叫你出去 |
[11:46] | Can I talk to you outside this case for a second? | 我能不能跟你说几句与案件无关的话 |
[11:48] | No. | 不行 |
[11:50] | You could destroy yourself with this. | 你这个样子会毁了自己 |
[11:52] | Don’t let that happen. | 冷静一点 |
[11:53] | Ellenor, please leave. | Ellenor 请你离开 |
[12:01] | There was some kind of panic. | 当时的情形有点慌乱 |
[12:02] | By panic you mean? | 你说的慌乱是指? |
[12:04] | Dr. Leach came rushing in, | Leach医生急冲冲地跑进来 |
[12:05] | it was about 20 minutes after the call | 就在接到Minor太太死亡的电话之后 |
[12:08] | that Mrs. Minor was dead. | 大约二十分钟 |
[12:09] | He huddled up with Dr. Morganson, | 他跟医院的院长Morganson医生 |
[12:11] | chief of staff. | 在一起窃窃私语 |
[12:13] | Did you hear what was being said? | 你有没有听到他们在说什么 |
[12:14] | Objection, hearsay. | 反对 传闻证据 |
[12:16] | Excited utterance. | 激动状态下的言辞 |
[12:17] | I’ll allow it. | 反对无效 |
[12:18] | What did you hear, Mrs. Henderson? | 你听到了什么 Henderson太太 |
[12:20] | Well, Dr. Morganson was already upset | 呃 Morganson医生已经因为 |
[12:22] | over another patient who died. | 另一个病人的死亡而焦虑 |
[12:24] | It’s not like him to become animated | 他这个人一般处事都很镇静 |
[12:26] | but he was here. | 但这次不一样 |
[12:27] | He was demanding lists of surgical teams | 他要求找出做手术的医生名单 |
[12:29] | and he wanted an M & M conference that very night. | 并要求当天晚上就召开一个”M.M”讨论会 |
[12:33] | What’s an M & M conference? | 什么叫”M.M”讨论会 |
[12:35] | It’s a mortality and morbidity conference. | 意思是”死亡及伤害”讨论会 |
[12:37] | Doctors convene secretly to discuss | 医生们私底下碰头 |
[12:40] | the cause of death of patients. | 讨论病人死亡的原因 |
[12:41] | Often for unexplained deaths. | 通常都是无法解释的死亡病例 |
[12:43] | Do you know the results of this meeting? | 你知不知道这次讨论会的结果 |
[12:45] | No, the contents are secret. | 不知道 讨论的内容是保密的 |
[12:47] | Nobody but the doctors ever | 除了医生们自己 |
[12:49] | finds out what goes on in there. | 没有人知道讨论的内容是怎样的 |
[12:51] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[12:55] | Gee, You make it sound like a big conspiracy. | 哇 你说得好像他们在策划什么大阴谋似的 |
[12:57] | M & M conferences are routinely held in hospitals, | “M.M”讨论会是医院的常规会议 |
[13:01] | aren’t they, Mrs Henderson? | 对不对 Henderson太太 |
[13:02] | Yes, But this was… | 是的 但是这一次… |
[13:03] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[13:04] | And one of the reasons that they have these meeting is, | 他们之所以召开这样的讨论会 |
[13:06] | among others, is so that doctors can freely | 原因之一在于通过讨论 |
[13:09] | swap information to learn. | 医生们可以自由交流观点 |
[13:10] | Isn’t that correct? | 是不是这样 |
[13:11] | Yes. | 是的 |
[13:12] | They have these meetings | 不管有没有做错事情 |
[13:14] | whether things go wrong or not. | 他们都会召开这样的讨论会 |
[13:15] | They seemed to have this one in a hurry. | 这一次 他们显得很迫不及待 |
[13:16] | Well, is it possible Dr. Leach was upset | 那么 有没有可能 |
[13:19] | about the death and he wanted to find out quickly | Leach医生因为对病人的死亡很担心 |
[13:23] | if something went wrong? | 所以想尽快查出来是什么原因 |
[13:24] | Is that possible? | 有这个可能吗 |
[13:25] | Yes. | 有 |
[13:26] | And here you are | 你今天在法庭上 |
[13:27] | presenting a doctor’s concern about his patient | 把一个医生对自己病人的关切 |
[13:30] | as something incriminating | 说得好像是有罪的证据 |
[13:32] | Doctors have two kinds of expressions. | 医生们通常有两种表情 |
[13:34] | One is concern for the patients, | 一种是对病人的关心 |
[13:36] | the other is concern over liability. | 另一种是对自己责任的担心 |
[13:39] | This seemed to be the latter. | 这一次 我觉得是后者 |
[13:41] | So you based today’s testimony | 那么 你今天的这些证言 |
[13:44] | on your ability to read an expression? | 是建立在你观察他人表情的能力之上? |
[13:46] | I was there, Mr Walton. | 我当时在场 Walton先生 |
[13:48] | Something was wrong. | 他们出了纰漏 |
[13:50] | But you weren’t in that operating room, | 但是你并没有进入手术室 |
[13:53] | were you, Mrs Henderson? | 对不对 Henderson太太 |
[13:56] | No, I wasn’t. | 对 我没有 |
[13:59] | We had driven into the middle of a gang shoot-out. | 我们当时撞上了一起帮派火拼 |
[14:02] | We pursued several suspects on foot | 我们徒步追赶几个嫌疑犯 |
[14:04] | into an apartment complex. | 一直追到一处住宅区 |
[14:05] | We entered into a lobby area | 我们进入一个大厅 |
[14:07] | and we became immediately under fire. | 立即遭到枪击 |
[14:09] | Did you see who was firing at you? | 你有没有看到谁在向你们开火 |
[14:11] | That man | 那个人 |
[14:14] | Mr. Little. | Little先生 |
[14:15] | Judge, this man is lying. | 法官 这个人在说谎 |
[14:18] | Your attorney will have opportunity to cross-examine. | 你的律师有机会对他进行交叉盘问 |
[14:20] | You will remain quiet. | 你给我保持肃静 |
[14:23] | What happened next, officer? | 接下来发生了什么 警官 |
[14:24] | We returned fire, | 我们开枪还击 |
[14:25] | at which point he dropped his gun | 这时候他扔下自己的枪 |
[14:27] | and began to run for the stairwell. | 开始跑向楼梯井 |
[14:28] | We entered the stairwell. | 我们进入楼梯井 |
[14:30] | We encountered him coming down. | 迎面遇到他从上面下来 |
[14:33] | We told him to freeze. | 我们叫他站住 |
[14:34] | He took off up the stairs, | 他拔腿往上跑 |
[14:36] | we pursed him, and caught him and placed him under arrest. | 我们追赶他 抓到他 逮捕了他 |
[14:39] | I never had a gun. | 我从来就没有枪 |
[14:40] | Mr. Little. | Little先生 |
[14:41] | I never had a gun! | 我从来就没有枪 |
[14:42] | Mr. Little! | Little先生 |
[14:42] | I wasn’t even on that balcony. | 我甚至从来都没有上过那个楼厅 |
[14:44] | I was just coming downstairs. | 我只是在下楼而已 |
[14:45] | All right bailiff, take him out now. | 法警 把他带出去 |
[14:46] | Take him out! | 把他带出去 |
[14:47] | People like you need to respect this room. | 像你这样的人应该对法庭多点尊重 |
[14:50] | This isn’t the street in here. | 这里不是大街上 |
[14:52] | You don’t get away with that. | 容不得你撒野 |
[14:55] | Miss Washington, I’ll see you in chambers. | Washington小姐 请到我办公室来 |
[14:58] | Mr Thompson, you too. | Thompson先生 你也来 |
[15:02] | You’ve got yourself a problem, young lady. | 你惹上麻烦了 小姑娘 |
[15:04] | Yes, your honour. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[15:05] | And for the record, | 而且我不得不说 |
[15:06] | I don’t think you handled that too deftly. | 我觉得你处理得并不明智 |
[15:07] | What should I have done? | 我应该怎么办 |
[15:09] | Asked him about his childhood? | 问问他的童年是怎么度过的? |
[15:11] | Okay, here’s your problem. | 这样 你的麻烦在于 |
[15:12] | In addition to his general scumhood, | 这个人总的来说是个混混 |
[15:15] | his yelling in court, in my mind, | 他在庭上的大喊大叫 在我看来 |
[15:16] | is the equivalent of testimony. | 相当于是在作证 |
[15:18] | The DA is now free to cross-examine it. | 检察官现在有权对他进行交叉盘问 |
[15:21] | Just hold on a second… | 等一等… |
[15:21] | He yelled that he was not on the balcony | 他咆哮着说他当时不在楼厅 |
[15:23] | and that the officer was lying. | 说警官在撒谎 |
[15:24] | That’s testimony, mmm-hmm. | 他这是在作证 |
[15:26] | But he wasn’t under oath! | 但是他没有宣过誓 |
[15:27] | The jury heard him! | 陪审团听到了他的说法 |
[15:29] | If you force him to take the stand | 如果你强迫他站上证人席 |
[15:30] | all his priors can be admitted. | 他之前的前科都会成为证据 |
[15:31] | Well, isn’t that tragic. | 是吗 真是不幸得很 |
[15:32] | Your honour, at this point | 法官阁下 在目前的情况下 |
[15:34] | I don’t want to cross-examine. | 我不想对他交叉盘问 |
[15:36] | This case is pretty straight for us. | 这个案子我们非常有把握 |
[15:38] | The last thing I want to do | 无论如何 我可不想 |
[15:39] | is give them grounds for appeal. | 给他们制造些上诉的理由 |
[15:40] | Are you forcing him to take the stand? | 你是要强制他接受盘问吗 |
[15:44] | Well, that’s your call. | 呃 由你决定 |
[15:45] | But for the rest of the trial | 但是在后面的庭审过程中 |
[15:47] | his hands are cuffed to the chair | 他的双手要拷在椅子上 |
[15:49] | and his mouth is taped. | 他的嘴巴要被封住 |
[15:50] | Your honour, that would be so prejudicial. | 法官阁下 这样会产生严重的偏见 |
[15:52] | It’s not up for debate! | 我已经决定了 不必再争论 |
[15:55] | When I learned she had died | 当我得知她已经死了 |
[15:57] | I of course, was devastated. | 我当然深受打击 |
[15:59] | In addition to being my patient, | Minor太太不仅是我的病人 |
[16:01] | Mrs. Minor was an extraordinary person. | 她还是个很出色的人物 |
[16:04] | We were all quite fond of her. | 我们都非常喜欢她 |
[16:06] | Dr. Leech, what happened? | Leech医生 究竟是怎么回事 |
[16:08] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[16:10] | We’d been through the procedure over and over and over. | 我门已经反复地 一再地检查手术过程 |
[16:14] | Everything went according to plan, | 一切都是按照计划进行的 |
[16:16] | nothing indicated… | 没有任何… |
[16:19] | You’ve heard the suggestion that | 你之前听到有人说 |
[16:21] | Mrs. Minor may have picked up the infection | Minor太太可能是在手术的过程中 |
[16:23] | during this procedure. | 导致的感染 |
[16:24] | The room was sterile, Mr. Walton. | 手术室是无菌的 Walton先生 |
[16:27] | Whatever happened to Mrs. Minor, | 不论Minor太太死亡的原因是什么 |
[16:29] | it didn’t happen in that room. | 都跟手术室没有关系 |
[16:31] | Well, could she have gotten the infection elsewhere? | 那么 她有可能是在其他地方被感染的吗 |
[16:34] | I don’t know what happened after she left the hospital, | 我并不清楚她出院之后发生了什么事情 |
[16:37] | what happened at her home. | 在她家里发生了什么事情 |
[16:38] | My dialogue with Mr. Minor stopped at that point, | 我跟Minor先生后来也没有再谈过话 |
[16:42] | so…All I can tell you, | 所以 我能告诉你的只有 |
[16:44] | whatever caused her to die | 不管她死亡的原因是什么 |
[16:47] | it didn’t happen in that room. | 都跟手术室没有关系 |
[16:52] | Sometimes, people die, Mr. Minor. | Minor先生 人总是会死 |
[16:55] | And sometimes, there’s no explanation as to why. | 而且有时候 就是没法解释原因 |
[16:58] | People don’t just die. | 人们不会无缘无故地死去 |
[16:59] | Mr. Minor. | Minor先生 |
[17:01] | They don’t just die. | 他们不会无缘无故地死 |
[17:02] | Mr. Minor. | Minor先生 |
[17:04] | Doctor, please don’t address the plaintiff. | 医生 请不要直接跟原告说话 |
[17:10] | This judge isn’t gonna go for any of that stuff. | 这位法官不喜欢你这些做法 |
[17:12] | You have to stay quiet. | 你必须保持安静 |
[17:15] | We’re lucky the DA didn’t take him up on his offer | 算我们走运 检察官没有接受法官给他的权利 |
[17:17] | and put you in the chair to be crossed. | 让你站上证人席接受交叉盘问 |
[17:19] | Can you at least look at me? | 你能不能至少看着我 |
[17:23] | If your prior felonies come out | 如果你的重罪前科被揭露 |
[17:24] | you can forget it. | 你就玩完了 |
[17:26] | You got two assaults, | 你有两次伤害罪 |
[17:27] | one with a deadly weapon. | 其中一次是使用致命的武器 |
[17:28] | That’s all the jury needs to hear. | 陪审团听到这些就已经够了 |
[17:32] | Now, I’d like to take a shot with a plea. | 现在 我想尝试跟控方达成交易 |
[17:37] | If we can get 8 years, | 如果我们能争取到八年 |
[17:39] | I think we should take it. | 我觉得我们应该接受 |
[17:40] | You’re still deaf. | 你还是个聋子 |
[17:43] | Byron, I’m not saying you did it, | Byron 我并不是说真的是你干的 |
[17:45] | but with the evidence… | 但是他们的证据… |
[17:46] | I didn’t do it, you bitch! | 不是我干的 你这个贱人 |
[17:48] | You stupid bitch! | 你这个傻逼贱人 |
[17:49] | You just like the rest of em! | 你跟那些人都一样 |
[17:50] | But I bet you hear me now, huh? | 你现在总该听清楚了吧 啊 |
[17:52] | I bet you hear me now! | 你现在该听清楚了吧 |
[17:53] | Come here! Come here! | 过来 过来 |
[17:54] | Get off of me! Get off of me! | 放开我 放开我 |
[18:00] | Ahh, get off of me! | 啊 放开我 |
[18:20] | Hey. | 嘿 |
[18:22] | Don’t start. | 不要跟我说话 |
[18:23] | I’m gonna start. | 我要跟你说 |
[18:24] | Lindsay Lindsay. | |
[18:26] | Just listen first, okay? | 先听我说两句 行不 |
[18:28] | Then I’ll shut up. | 然后我就闭嘴 |
[18:31] | You don’t believe that kid | 你自己并不相信 |
[18:33] | had anything to do with the murder. | 那个孩子跟谋杀案有任何关系 |
[18:34] | You’re punishing him | 你之所以惩罚他 |
[18:35] | because he screwed up the prosecution of the father, | 是因为他搅黄了你对他父亲的起诉 |
[18:37] | and in part you’re punishing Ellenor | 另外一方面 你是在惩罚Ellenor |
[18:39] | for not convincing him to stick to the truth. | 因为她没有说服他坚持真相 |
[18:41] | You come from anger. | 你是出于愤怒 |
[18:43] | Don’t tell me… | 不要告诉我… |
[18:43] | I will tell you, because I saw it. | 我要告诉你 因为这是我看到了的 |
[18:45] | I know what happened to you | 我知道输掉那个修女杀手的案子 |
[18:47] | when you lost that nun killer. | 对你而言意味着什么 |
[18:48] | And I could see what was happening | 我知道当这个案子开始变得形势不利 |
[18:51] | when this case started to go south, | 你心里是什么感受 |
[18:52] | and I see you now. | 我现在看着你 |
[18:55] | And I know how this thing will play out. | 我知道这个案子最后的结果会是怎样 |
[18:57] | If you try him on felony murder | 如果你以重罪谋杀起诉他 |
[18:59] | he’s going to stand up and tell the real truth, | 他会在证人席上说出真正的真相 |
[19:01] | which will be consistent with his statement | 跟他告诉警察的说法和他在预审中的证词 |
[19:03] | to the cops and his testimony at the prelim. | 保持一致 |
[19:05] | You will never get past reasonable doubt | 你永远不可能排除合理怀疑 |
[19:07] | and you’ll be stuck going after him | 六个月之后 |
[19:10] | for perjury six months from now. | 你会不得不以伪证罪来起诉他 |
[19:14] | Drop the felony murder. | 撤掉重罪谋杀 |
[19:15] | Let him cop to the perjury now. | 让他现在就认下伪证罪 |
[19:17] | Then go to the gym and hit the heavy bag. | 然后去健身房 狠狠地打一顿沙袋 |
[19:19] | It’s the only thing you can really do. | 这是你唯一能做的事情 |
[19:27] | I don’t know if I can do this any more. | 我不知道我还能不能坚持做下去 |
[19:30] | Do what? | 做什么 |
[19:32] | This job. | 这份工作 |
[19:37] | Helen. This is just a couple of fluke cases. | Helen 这只是一两个不走运的案子 |
[19:46] | Are you okay? | 你没事吧 |
[19:49] | Fine. I’m fine. | 没事 我没事 |
[20:03] | Why did you schedule an M & M conference | 你为什么在Minor太太死亡的当晚 |
[20:05] | the very night Mrs. Minor died? | 就安排了”M.M”讨论会 |
[20:07] | Because, as I explained, | 因为 正如我解释过的 |
[20:09] | her death upset me. | 她的死亡令我不安 |
[20:10] | I wanted to make sure we didn’t cause it. | 我想核实一下她的死亡是不是我们造成的 |
[20:12] | Did you? | 是不是你们造成的 |
[20:13] | No. | 不是 |
[20:14] | That was the conclusion reached in the M & M conference? | 这个结论是在”M.M”讨论会上形成的吗 |
[20:16] | Objection. Those meetings are sealed. | 反对 这些讨论会是保密的 |
[20:18] | Counsel is trying to get the witness | 对方律师企图让证人 |
[20:20] | to waive the privilege… | 放弃这种保密特权… |
[20:21] | If it’s no, it’s no. | 如果不是 那就回答不是好了 |
[20:23] | I object to the trick. | 我反对这种伎俩 |
[20:24] | He knows the meetings are secret. | 他知道会议是保密的 |
[20:26] | He is trying to exploit this secrecy | 他企图利用这种保密性 |
[20:28] | to make us look like we are hiding something. | 显得我们似乎有所隐瞒 |
[20:29] | What are you, a fortune teller now? | 怎么 你又成了算命先生了吗 |
[20:30] | All right. Sustained. | 行了 反对有效 |
[20:33] | Mr. Donnell, continue. | Donnell先生 继续 |
[20:36] | You wanted the meeting that night | 你们之所以当晚就召开讨论会 |
[20:37] | because you were urgent to find out what happened? | 是因为你们急于查清楚是怎么回事? |
[20:39] | Yes. | 是的 |
[20:40] | Did you recommend to Mr. Minor that you do an autopsy? | 你有没有向Minor先生建议对尸体做尸检 |
[20:43] | He didn’t seem to want that. | 我感觉他不想做尸检 |
[20:45] | My question is, did you recommend it? | 我的问题是 你有没有向他建议 |
[20:47] | I don’t think I did. | 我想是没有 |
[20:48] | In fact, didn’t you say to Mr. Minor and his daughter | 事实上 你是不是对Minor先生和他的女儿说 |
[20:51] | “we can do an autopsy if you want, | 如果你们觉得必要 我们可以做尸检 |
[20:53] | but it won’t bring her back.” | 但是人死不能复生 |
[20:55] | Weren’t those your very words? | 你的原话是不是这样说的 |
[20:56] | I don’t remember. But it’s possible I said that. | 我不记得了 但是我有可能是这么说过 |
[20:58] | It sounds almost like you were discouraging an autopsy. | 听起来你简直是在说服他们不做尸检 |
[21:00] | The blood work revealed she died of a bacterial infection. | 血液检测显示她是死于细菌感染 |
[21:03] | But you didn’t know that at the time | 但是在你说服他们不做尸检的时候 |
[21:05] | you discouraged the autopsy. | 你并不知道这个情况 |
[21:07] | I didn’t discourage it. | 我没有说服他们不做尸检 |
[21:08] | I just didn’t push for it. | 我只是不鼓励他们做尸检 |
[21:09] | You didn’t push for it. | 你不鼓励他们做尸检 |
[21:10] | That doesn’t go with this urgency to find out what happened. | 你们不是急于查清楚怎么回事吗 |
[21:13] | Was the urgency to conceal what happened? | 莫非你们是急于隐瞒发生了什么事 |
[21:15] | No, that isn’t what happened. | 不 不是这样的 |
[21:16] | Why was Dr Morganson so upset? | 为什么Morganson医生那么焦虑 |
[21:18] | Did he know Mrs. Minor? | 他认识Minor太太吗 |
[21:19] | He was upset because another patient had died. | 他很焦虑是因为另外一个病人也死了 |
[21:21] | And this news on top of that… | 这次的事件 再加上… |
[21:23] | He knew something went wrong, didn’t he? | 他知道医院做错了事情 对吧 |
[21:25] | Objection. | 反对 |
[21:25] | Patients don’t just die from cheek implants, | 病人不会因为做个脸部美容手术就死掉 |
[21:28] | do they, doctor? | 对不对 医生 |
[21:29] | Objection! | 反对 |
[21:29] | Something went wrong! | 医院方面有问题 |
[21:31] | Mr. Donnell. | Donnell先生 |
[21:31] | You say you want to know what happened, | 你说你们想查清楚是怎么回事 |
[21:33] | but you don’t urge an autopsy, | 但是你们并不急于做尸检 |
[21:34] | there’s a late night secret meeting… | 你们深更半夜召开秘密会议… |
[21:36] | This exactly what I’m talking about. | 这正是我所说的 |
[21:38] | Mr. Donnell, that’s enough. | Donnell先生 够了 |
[21:39] | Is it your testimony that you have no idea | 你是否作证坚持认为你完全不清楚 |
[21:42] | how she got this fatal infection? | 她是如何发生致命的感染 |
[21:44] | That’s my testimony. | 是的 |
[21:48] | He pleads to perjury | 他认下伪证罪 |
[21:50] | we go right to sentencing today. | 我们今天就让法官做出量刑判决 |
[21:51] | I’d want to be heard. | 我想陈述一下意见 |
[21:52] | You can be heard, but… | 你可以陈述 但是… |
[21:53] | Why rush it? We might as well… | 何必这么匆忙 我们可以… |
[21:55] | We do it now, or there’s no deal. | 要不就是现在 要不就免谈 |
[22:01] | It’s just…I want this to be over. | 只是…我想尽快结束掉 |
[22:03] | And you should want it to be over too. | 你也应该希望尽快结束 |
[22:06] | Because the longer I live with it, | 因为我陷在里面越久 |
[22:09] | the angrier I … | 我就越愤怒… |
[22:12] | There’s an offer before you. | 我给了你辩诉交易的条件 |
[22:14] | Take it or not. | 你要么接受 要么拉倒 |
[22:18] | What would I get? For perjury? | 伪证罪的话 我会被判多久 |
[22:20] | It’s discretionary, | 由法官自由裁量 |
[22:22] | but I think I can make | 不过我觉得我有足够的理由 |
[22:23] | a pretty decent argument to the judge. | 来说服法官轻判 |
[22:24] | Do we have to decide today? | 我们今天就必须决定吗 |
[22:26] | There is really no decision, Gary. | 其实没什么要决定的 Gary |
[22:27] | If we don’t plead to the perjury | 如果我们不认伪证罪 |
[22:29] | then the felony murder charge doesn’t get dropped, | 那么重罪谋杀的指控就不会撤销 |
[22:31] | and we can’t risk that. | 我们不能冒这个风险 |
[22:32] | They’ve got you dead to right on perjury anyway, | 无论如何 你的伪证罪都是跑不掉的 |
[22:34] | so there’s no real reason not to jump on this. | 我们真的没有理由不接受这个交易 |
[22:37] | Then why do the sentencing today? | 那为什么要在今天量刑呢 |
[22:39] | The DA wants to put this behind her | 检察官想尽快把这个事情了结掉 |
[22:41] | and so do you. | 你也一样 |
[22:42] | Now, there is a chance we can get you out of here, | 现在 我们有机会让你免于牢狱之灾 |
[22:44] | so let’s just do it. | 就这么办吧 |
[22:50] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[22:52] | I fired several shots, | 我开了几枪 |
[22:53] | at which point he dropped the gun | 然后他扔下自己的枪 |
[22:55] | and ran into the stairway. | 跑进楼梯间 |
[22:56] | The defendant? | 你是说被告? |
[22:57] | Yes. We then entered the stairway on the lobby floor | 是的 然后我们从一楼跑进楼梯间 |
[23:00] | met him coming down. | 迎面碰到他从上面下来 |
[23:02] | He started going back up but we caught him. | 他转身往回跑 我们抓住了他 |
[23:05] | You say he started shooting at you | 你说你们一进入大厅 |
[23:07] | as soon as you entered the lobby? | 他就开始向你们开枪 |
[23:08] | That’s correct | 是的 |
[23:09] | And you immediately returned fire. | 然后你们立即开枪还击 |
[23:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:10] | At which point he dropped the gun | 这时候他扔下自己的枪 |
[23:12] | and ran into the stairwell. | 跑进了楼梯间 |
[23:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:14] | Any prints on the gun? | 枪上有指纹吗 |
[23:15] | None that were useable. | 没有可用的指纹 |
[23:16] | The look you got of him on the balcony | 你看到他在楼厅上 |
[23:18] | that was 3, 4 seconds? | 时间有三到四秒? |
[23:20] | I suppose that’s about right. | 我想差不多 |
[23:21] | With a gun barrel pointed in your direction? | 当时有一把枪正朝着你的方向射击? |
[23:24] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:25] | And the stairway was behind him. | 楼梯间是在他的背后 |
[23:27] | Is that not right? | 对不对 |
[23:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[23:29] | So, he turned and ran with his back toward you? | 所以 他转过身 背对着你跑走 |
[23:32] | I suppose. | 我想是的 |
[23:33] | You suppose. | 你想是的 |
[23:34] | Did he back-pedal or did he turn and run? | 他是倒退回去还是转身逃走 |
[23:37] | He turned and ran | 他转身逃走 |
[23:38] | And how were the lights up there on the balcony? | 那么楼厅上的光线怎么样 |
[23:39] | We got a good look at him. | 我们看清楚是他 |
[23:41] | It was dark, wasn’t it? | 光线很暗 对不对 |
[23:42] | We saw his face. | 我们看到了他的脸 |
[23:44] | You say we like you’re speaking for Officer Gibson. | 你的说法听起来跟Gibson警官一样 |
[23:46] | Did you two go over your testimony? | 你们俩对过证词了吗 |
[23:47] | Objection! | 反对 |
[23:48] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[23:49] | You said in your statement | 在你的陈述中 |
[23:50] | there may have been others on the balcony, | 你说当时楼厅上可能还有其他人 |
[23:52] | but it was too dark to tell. | 但是光线太暗没法确定 |
[23:53] | Was that your statement? | 你是这么说的吗 |
[23:54] | Yes, but we got a good look at him. | 是的 但是我们看清楚了是他 |
[23:58] | If you don’t settle down, Mr. Little, | 如果你不安静下来 Little先生 |
[23:59] | I’ll remove you. | 我会把你逐出法庭 |
[24:00] | Don’t think I won’t have you hauled right out of here. | 不要以为我不会让人把你拖出去 |
[24:13] | Mr Stanton? I’m Bobby Donnell. | Stanton先生 我是Bobby Donnell |
[24:15] | I called. | 我之前打过电话 |
[24:18] | Our information shows that | 根据我们的调查 |
[24:20] | your daughter died on the same day, | 你们的女儿在同一天死亡 |
[24:22] | there’s been testimony that the chief of staff was very upset about it. | 有人证实说 院长对此非常焦虑 |
[24:25] | I’m not entitled to see her medical records | 如果没有你们的批准 |
[24:28] | without your permission. | 我没有权利查看她的病例 |
[24:29] | And what does Carol’s death have to do with your case? | Carol的死跟你们的案子有什么关系 |
[24:32] | Well, maybe nothing, | 呃 也许没有关系 |
[24:33] | but that’s what I’d like to find out. | 不过我们就是想查清楚有没有关系 |
[24:35] | I’d like you to please leave, sir. | 我要请你离开 先生 |
[24:38] | Mr. Stanton, a woman died here. I’m just… | Stanton先生 一个女子死了 我只是… |
[24:41] | A woman died. | 一个女子死了 |
[24:42] | That’s why you’re here? | 这就是你今天来的目的? |
[24:43] | You’re concerned about a woman’s death? | 你关心一个女人的死亡? |
[24:45] | My daughter died, Mr. Donnell. | 我女儿已经死了 Donnell先生 |
[24:49] | We’re finally at a point | 我们好不容易 |
[24:50] | where our lives have resumed, | 才恢复正常的生活 |
[24:51] | and you happily come along to dig it all up again. | 而你却快活地跑来揭开我们的伤疤 |
[24:53] | Because of your deep concern. | 因为你深深的关心 |
[24:54] | Darryl Darryl. | |
[24:55] | No, he’s here about money! | 不 他只是为了钱 |
[24:57] | You think twice about | 你有没有考虑过 |
[24:58] | whether we’d want this kind of visit? | 我们想不想跟你见面 |
[25:01] | Our daughter was 19. | 我们的女儿只有19岁 |
[25:03] | I’m just trying to represent some people | 我只是在代理我的当事人 |
[25:05] | with a claim against a hospital… | 向医院起诉… |
[25:09] | Oh, I’m so sorry. | 哦 真是太抱歉了 |
[25:17] | Carol’s death was devastating. | Carol的死对我们打击很大 |
[25:19] | She was our only child and, | 她是我们唯一的孩子 |
[25:24] | the idea of reliving her death… | 一想到要重新回忆她的死… |
[25:27] | He always… It was just so… | 他一直…这实在太… |
[25:31] | How did she die? | 她是怎么死的 |
[25:34] | She went in for minor surgery | 她去做个小手术 |
[25:37] | and got some post op. infection. | 结果发生了术后感染 |
[25:44] | I want to find out how many people died | 我需要查清楚之前的一周和之后的一周 |
[25:45] | in that hospital a week before and a week after. | 这家医院有多少人死亡 |
[25:48] | Get the names… | 找到名字… |
[25:49] | just listen, Lucy. | 听我说完 Lucy |
[25:50] | Get the names and have Jimmy, Lindsay and Eugene | 找到名字 叫Jimmy Lindsay和Eugene |
[25:53] | contact the families and find out how they died. | 去跟家人联系 查清楚他们是怎么死的 |
[25:55] | And this has to be done now. | 马上就去做 |
[25:58] | Rebecca Rebecca. | |
[26:02] | We may have a little bump here. | 我们有点小意外 |
[26:04] | What do you mean, bump? | 什么意思 什么意外 |
[26:05] | There was an internal police investigation | 关于这次的枪击案 |
[26:07] | regarding the shooting. | 警察局做过一次内部调查 |
[26:08] | I just found out about it, | 我向你保证 |
[26:09] | I promise you. | 我也是刚刚才发现 |
[26:11] | Here’s the report. | 这是调查报告 |
[26:12] | The shooting surrounding this arrest? | 与这次逮捕有关的枪击? |
[26:13] | Yes, Officer Helms evidently once claimed | 是的 Helms警官曾经说 |
[26:17] | he wounded the suspect on the balcony. | 他打伤了楼厅上的那个嫌疑犯 |
[26:19] | Now, he’s since backed off it, | 后来他又改口了 |
[26:20] | but blood was found on the balcony. | 不过在楼厅上确实发现了血迹 |
[26:23] | The sample was lost | 血样丢失了 |
[26:25] | Excuse me, lost? | 你说什么 丢了? |
[26:28] | I don’t know what to say. | 我也不知道该怎么说 |
[26:31] | If you want to move for a mistrial, | 如果你要申请宣布无效审判 |
[26:32] | I won’t oppose. | 我不会反对 |
[26:37] | We’re not having any mistrial. | 我不会宣布无效审判 |
[26:39] | What? | 什么 |
[26:40] | We’re late into it, I don’t… | 现在已经太晚了 我不想… |
[26:41] | If the man on the balcony was wounded | 如果楼厅上的人被打伤了 |
[26:43] | then that clears Byron Little. | 那么Byron Little就是无辜的 |
[26:44] | The officer said he was wrong about wounding him. | 警官说他搞错了 他没有打伤嫌犯 |
[26:46] | Oh, come on. | 哦 拜托 |
[26:47] | You expect me to throw out an entire trial because… | 你指望我推倒整个审判 只因为… |
[26:49] | First of all, | 首先 |
[26:49] | the state has a duty to turn over all exculpatory evidence, | 控方有义务披露所有证明无罪的证据 |
[26:52] | I’m just getting this report now. | 我现在才拿到这份报告 |
[26:53] | He just got it. | 他也是刚刚才得到 |
[26:54] | Second, this is material. | 第二 这是关键证据 |
[26:56] | This completely affects how | 它可以决定我采用什么样的策略 |
[26:57] | I would have cross-examined Officer Helms. | 来对Helms警官进行交叉盘问 |
[26:59] | You can recall him. | 你可以重新传唤他 |
[26:59] | And they say they lost the blood sample. | 而且他们说把血样弄丢了 |
[27:01] | I need time to investigate. | 我需要时间去调查 |
[27:02] | Look, counsel, | 听着 律师 |
[27:03] | they caught your man running down the stairway. | 你的当事人当时正在下楼梯 他们抓个正着 |
[27:05] | But he’s been saying he wasn’t the man | 但是他一直坚持楼厅上那个人不是他 |
[27:07] | on the balcony and that blood may prove it. | 而血样可以证实他的说法 |
[27:09] | How? | 怎么证实 |
[27:09] | The officer claims he did not wound the suspect. | 警官说他没有打伤嫌犯 |
[27:12] | That means the blood is irrelevant. | 这就意味着血迹与本案无关 |
[27:14] | I’m not throwing out this trial. | 我不会宣布无效审判 |
[27:15] | You can’t be serious. | 你开玩笑吧 |
[27:16] | Look, young lady, | 听着 小姑娘 |
[27:18] | you might be used to have your clients | 你或许惯于用一些花招和技术问题 |
[27:19] | freed on stunts and technicalities, | 让自己的当事人脱罪 |
[27:21] | but not in my court. | 但是在我的法庭上你休想 |
[27:24] | They withheld material evidence. | 他们隐瞒了关键的证据 |
[27:26] | The trial goes on. | 案件继续审理 |
[27:27] | You can recall the officer and re-cross him. | 你可以重新传唤并盘问那位警官 |
[27:29] | That’s all. | 就这样 |
[27:33] | Did he lie under oath? Yes. | 他是否在宣誓之后说谎 是 |
[27:36] | Are there mitigating circumstances? | 有没有情有可原之处 |
[27:38] | Of course there are. | 当然有 |
[27:40] | His mother was murdered. | 他的母亲被谋杀 |
[27:43] | He was turned into the star witness against his father. | 他变成了指证自己父亲的明星证人 |
[27:46] | A father who he had an estranged relationship with. | 这位父亲一直跟他关系不融洽 |
[27:50] | A father, as you can see | 这位父亲 |
[27:51] | by the psychiatric reports, | 正如您在精神鉴定报告中所看到的 |
[27:53] | Gary lived for his approval | Gary渴望得到他的认同 |
[27:55] | and rarely got it. | 但是很少如愿 |
[27:57] | Here he is. | 他坐在这里 |
[27:58] | A kid with a drug history, | 一个有吸毒史的孩子 |
[28:00] | emotionally unstable, | 情绪不稳定 |
[28:02] | being asked to put his dad | 人们要求他将自己的父亲 |
[28:05] | away for life. | 送进监狱度过余生 |
[28:07] | He couldn’t do it. | 他做不到 |
[28:10] | He couldn’t do it. | 他做不到 |
[28:13] | The law insulates us from | 法律规定我们 |
[28:14] | having to testify against a spouse. | 没有义务指证自己的配偶 |
[28:16] | Well, a son’s connection with a father | 那么 儿子与父亲之间的联系 |
[28:19] | can be just as powerful. | 也一样不可割裂 |
[28:24] | Gary Armbrust isn’t a bad kid, your honour, | Gary Armbrust不是个坏孩子 法官阁下 |
[28:27] | we all know that. | 我们都知道 |
[28:30] | He just couldn’t go through with sending his dad to prison. | 他只是做不到把自己的父亲送进监狱 |
[28:41] | Yes. | 没错 |
[28:42] | The law does protect spouses from | 法律保护配偶关系 |
[28:44] | giving testimony against each other | 配偶之间没有义务指证对方 |
[28:46] | but there is no such immunity | 但是对于父亲和儿子来说 |
[28:48] | when it comes to father and son, | 没有这样的豁免权 |
[28:49] | and they don’t get to just make up a law | 他们不能仅仅因为觉得 |
[28:52] | because in there minds | 父子之爱同样强大 |
[28:53] | the love is just as powerful. | 就生造一项法律出来 |
[28:55] | What’s at stake here is the integrity of this process. | 本案危害的是司法程序的公正性 |
[29:00] | He committed perjury, | 他犯了伪证罪 |
[29:02] | he lied under oath | 他在宣誓之后说谎 |
[29:04] | and if we tolerate it | 如果我们纵容他 |
[29:05] | we have to consider the worst-case scenario, | 我们必须考虑到最坏的情况 |
[29:09] | the day may come where witnesses lie | 也许最终有一天 |
[29:11] | to help free premeditated murderers. | 证人会为了帮谋杀犯脱罪而撒谎 |
[29:14] | This case, this case is the worst-case scenario | 而本案 本案就是最坏的情况 |
[29:19] | a murderer is walking free | 因为被告的伪证罪 |
[29:21] | because the defendant committed perjury. | 一个杀人凶手逍遥法外 |
[29:24] | Your honour, you and I, | 法官阁下 你和我 |
[29:26] | you and I walk in to this courtroom | 你和我每天走上这个法庭 |
[29:28] | every day without clients. | 我们没有当事人 |
[29:30] | In essence, we work for the room. | 本质上 我们为法庭而工作 |
[29:34] | What he did to this room… | 他对法庭所做的… |
[29:37] | And technicalities and fourth amendments… | 技术细节和第四修正案… |
[29:41] | He killed her and stuffed her in a closet. | 他杀了她 把她塞进壁橱里 |
[29:44] | He killed a nun! He… | 他杀害了一个修女 他… |
[29:51] | Helen Helen | |
[29:57] | I’m sorry. | 对不起 |
[29:58] | He, he lied. | 他 他撒了谎 |
[30:04] | We work for the room, your honour, | 我们为法庭而工作 法官阁下 |
[30:09] | we work for the room. | 我们为法庭而工作 |
[30:25] | I did say once that I thought I wounded him, | 我确实曾经说过我打伤了他 |
[30:27] | but I was wrong | 但是我搞错了 |
[30:28] | And what suddenly convinced you you were wrong? | 你为什么突然觉得自己搞错了呢 |
[30:30] | When we caught him, he wasn’t wounded | 当我们抓到他之后 他并没有受伤 |
[30:31] | so obviously, I was wrong. | 所以很明显 我搞错了 |
[30:33] | Or maybe the man you shot at, | 也有可能 你打中的那个人 |
[30:35] | the man shooting at you, | 向你开枪的那个人 |
[30:36] | was not the same man | 跟你在楼梯间追赶的 |
[30:37] | you chased in the stairwell? | 那个人不是同一个 |
[30:39] | No, it was him. | 不 就是他 |
[30:40] | I saw his face. | 我看到了他的脸 |
[30:41] | And what about the blood that was found? | 那么你们找到的血迹是怎么回事呢 |
[30:43] | That was old dried blood. | 那是陈旧的干血迹 |
[30:44] | In this report… | 在这份报告中… |
[30:45] | I first thought it was fresh | 我最初以为是新鲜的血迹 |
[30:46] | because in my excitement | 因为我当时太兴奋 |
[30:47] | I thought I wounded him, | 我以为我打伤了他 |
[30:48] | but it was old dried blood that had been there. | 但那个真的是陈旧的干血迹 |
[30:50] | And did you test this blood | 你有没有对这个血迹进行检测 |
[30:52] | to determine… | 以便确定… |
[30:52] | Objection. Relevance. | 反对 关联性 |
[30:53] | Sustained | 反对有效 |
[30:54] | Your honour, | 法官阁下 |
[30:55] | The jury will disregard any mention of blood. | 陪审团不必考虑任何与血迹有关的问题 |
[30:57] | It has no relevance whatsoever! | 与本案没有任何关联 |
[30:59] | Counsel, step up. | 律师 上来 |
[31:02] | Those blood samples could exonerate my client. | 那些血迹可以证明我的当事人是无辜的 |
[31:05] | He can’t know it’s old blood | 他不可能知道血迹是陈旧的 |
[31:06] | and the fact that those samples were somehow lost… | 而他们丢失了血样这一事实本身… |
[31:08] | There will be no mention of blood, | 不许再提血迹的事 |
[31:10] | it’s not relevant | 没有关联性 |
[31:11] | and if you mention the police losing it | 如果你再提警察丢了血样 |
[31:13] | you buy yourself a jail cell. | 你就等着关监禁吧 |
[31:15] | I am just trying… | 我只是想… |
[31:16] | This trial will not be prevented | 这个案子不会被 |
[31:18] | by sleazy defence lawyering. | 肮脏的辩护律师伎俩而阻止 |
[31:19] | I’ve had about enough of you already, damn it! | 我已经受够你了 该死的 |
[31:27] | You need to take some time off. | 你需要休息一段时间 |
[31:28] | Yeah. I’m not losing my mind, | 是啊 我还没有发疯 |
[31:33] | Lindsay, I… | Lindsay 我… |
[31:34] | You just mixed up defendants. | 你把被告都搞混了 |
[31:36] | You called the perjurer a nun killer, Helen. | 你把伪证罪犯叫成修女杀手 Helen |
[31:38] | I’m worried about you. | 我很担心你 |
[31:39] | You’ve had this look in your eye lately | 最近这段时间你的眼神都不太对 |
[31:42] | and your voice. | 声音也不对 |
[31:46] | Will they give you some time off? | 他们会不会同意给你放个假 |
[31:48] | I think so. | 我想会同意 |
[31:52] | It’s just not fair anymore. | 只是不再公平了 |
[31:55] | What’s not fair? | 什么不公平 |
[31:57] | Tell me what’s not fair. | 告诉我什么不公平 |
[32:00] | My sister has a radio. | 我姐姐有一台收音机 |
[32:03] | Your sister has a radio? | 你姐姐有一台收音机? |
[32:05] | She has a nice job at an insurance company. | 她在保险公司有一份不错的工作 |
[32:10] | She gets to sit at a desk, | 她可以坐在办公桌旁边 |
[32:13] | and she plays her radio. | 打开她的收音机 |
[32:19] | She can hear music during the day. | 她可以整天听音乐 |
[32:25] | Just once I’d like to turn up the radio in that room, | 我多么希望在法庭上打开收音机 |
[32:33] | and sing the bad days away. | 唱首歌 把那些坏日子都抛开 |
[32:38] | Sing away. | 都抛开 |
[32:44] | If I have to take you on vacation myself, I will. | 如果我有必要带你去休假 我会的 |
[32:51] | You definitely need some time off. | 你真的需要休息一段时间 |
[33:00] | Four patients in three days, | 三天内四个病人死亡 |
[33:01] | all routine surgeries, | 都是常规的手术 |
[33:03] | all dead from streptococcus sepsis. | 死因同样都是链球菌败血症 |
[33:06] | Your hospital had a bacteria. | 你们的医院存在细菌污染 |
[33:07] | Four cases does not constitute an outbreak. | 四例死亡病例不构成爆发 |
[33:10] | All the same strain? | 四例都是同样的菌株? |
[33:11] | In three days and you don’t tell him? | 在三天之内 而且你们没有告诉他 |
[33:13] | He asked what happened | 他问过你们是怎么回事 |
[33:14] | you just leave that out? | 你们就这样瞒着他? |
[33:15] | The other patients have privacy rights, | 其他的病人享有隐私权 |
[33:17] | I just can’t reveal their case histories. | 我没有权利透露他们的病例 |
[33:19] | Is that what your going to say | 等我传唤你上庭作证的时候 |
[33:20] | when I recall you? | 你也准备这么说吗 |
[33:21] | Seven million dollars today | 今天就支付700万 |
[33:23] | or I notify the health marshal. | 否则我会告知卫生局长 |
[33:25] | That kind of threat could get you | 你这样的威胁可能让你面临 |
[33:26] | a trip to the overseer. | 律师协会的调查 |
[33:27] | I’ll risk it. | 我愿意冒险 |
[33:28] | I’m tempted to call the district attorney. | 我很想给地区检察官打个电话 |
[33:31] | This borders on corporate murder. | 这相当于是集体谋杀 |
[33:33] | You had a lethal strain of bacteria killing patients | 你们医院有致命的菌株 导致病人死亡 |
[33:35] | and you sat on it! | 而你们竟无动于衷 |
[33:37] | The health marshal might close | 卫生局长可能会下令关闭 |
[33:38] | your doors to investigate it. | 你们医院然后进行调查 |
[33:39] | At 300,000 a day, | 这样你们每天会损失30万 |
[33:41] | that’ll run you two to three million | 总计达到两三百万 |
[33:42] | and that’s just in actuals. | 这还只是直接损失 |
[33:43] | The long term damage could be worse, | 长远的损失会更大 |
[33:45] | that’s probably why you concealed | 这或许正是你们最初隐瞒 |
[33:47] | the outbreak in the first place. | 细菌爆发的原因 |
[33:48] | You were afraid the health marshal would move in. | 你们害怕卫生局长会介入 |
[33:50] | You’ll pay the seven today | 你们今天就要付700万 |
[33:51] | and be grateful and I don’t care | 我不关心你们怎么找保险公司索赔 |
[33:53] | how you split your policies. | 所以你应该心满意足 |
[33:54] | You still haven’t discovered negligence | 你仍然无法证明对于她的死亡原因 |
[33:56] | as to her cause of death. | 我们存在过失 |
[33:57] | I can establish a cover up | 我可以证明你们掩盖事实 |
[33:59] | and that’s all I need | 这对我来说就足够了 |
[34:00] | and we all know it. | 我们大家都清楚 |
[34:03] | I asked you what happened | 我问过你是怎么回事 |
[34:04] | and you looked me in the eye and say, | 你直视着我的眼睛对我说 |
[34:06] | “I don’t know”. | 我不知道 |
[34:09] | You looked me right in the eye. | 你直视着我的眼睛 |
[34:11] | Because of him, Arnold. | 正是因为他 Arnold |
[34:14] | We get sued for everything | 因为他这样的律师 |
[34:15] | because of lawyers like him. | 我们被人以各种理由起诉 |
[34:17] | Every patient that comes through the door | 每一个走进我们大门的病人 |
[34:19] | we have to look at as a potential plaintiff. | 我们都不得不把他视为潜在的原告 |
[34:26] | There was nothing I could say after | 事情已经发生了 |
[34:28] | that could bring her back. | 我没有能力让她复生 |
[34:29] | So, why even volunteer the truth? | 那么 为什么不肯说出真相呢 |
[34:33] | Yes, sometimes we lie, Mr. Donnell. | 没错 我们有时候会撒谎 Donnell先生 |
[34:35] | Nelson Nelson, | |
[34:35] | I’m talking in general, | 我说的是一般的情况 |
[34:36] | lawsuits have driven the truth under ground, Mr. Donnell. | 正是诉讼把真相埋到了地下 Donnell先生 |
[34:40] | Well, this one dug it up, didn’t it? | 这一次 是诉讼把真相挖出来了 对吧 |
[34:44] | I’ll have to discuss all of this | 我得先跟董事会开会讨论 |
[34:46] | with the board before I get back to you. | 然后才能给你答复 |
[34:48] | You’re authorized to settle. | 你有进行和解的权限 |
[34:49] | Not at that amount. | 数额太高 我没那么大权限 |
[34:51] | Well, then, go talk to them. | 那好 去跟他们讨论吧 |
[35:12] | How did it happen that we can’t trust the police? | 为什么我们不能信任警察呢 |
[35:16] | I mean, this is an institution | 我是说 这样的一个机构 |
[35:18] | that is supposed to protect us. | 它的职能应该是保护我们 |
[35:20] | I don’t doubt these officers | 我相信这些警官们是真的认为 |
[35:22] | think Byron Little is the guy. | Byron Little就是凶手 |
[35:25] | They tackled him in the stairwell | 他们看到楼厅上的那个人跑进了楼梯间 |
[35:26] | after they saw the man on the balcony run into the stairwell. | 然后在楼梯间抓到了他 |
[35:30] | It’s completely reasonable to believe | 完全有理由相信 |
[35:32] | it must be the same guy. | 他就是那个开枪的人 |
[35:34] | Hey, I did. | 嘿 我最初就相信 |
[35:36] | I mean one look at him, | 你只要看他一眼 |
[35:38] | he looks like your typical urban criminal. | 他看起来就是个典型的城市罪犯 |
[35:42] | He acts violent and we all know | 他行为暴戾 而我们也都知道 |
[35:44] | our honourable your honour | 我们尊敬的法官阁下 |
[35:46] | thinks he’s the guy too. | 也认为他就是杀人凶手 |
[35:47] | But mistakes and cover-ups, | 但是犯错跟掩饰 |
[35:50] | those are two very different things. | 这是两件完全不同的事情 |
[35:54] | One of the officers said he wounded the suspect, | 有一位警官说他打伤了嫌疑犯 |
[35:58] | blood was even found on the balcony, | 他们甚至在楼厅上发现了血迹 |
[36:01] | though it’s been deemed irrelevant | 尽管在本案中 |
[36:02] | for the sake of this trial, | 血迹被认为与案件没有关联 |
[36:03] | but when they examined | 但是当他们在警察局 |
[36:05] | Mr. Little back at the police station | 对Little先生进行检查的时候 |
[36:06] | they found no wound, | 他们没有发现伤口 |
[36:09] | and suddenly the officer amends his account | 于是那位警官突然改口 |
[36:13] | and says he must have missed. | 说他没有打中 |
[36:15] | And they march into this court | 尔后他们走上法庭 |
[36:17] | and positively identify him as the shooter. | 明确地指认他就是枪手 |
[36:23] | They see him 30 feet above | 他们在30英尺外看到他 |
[36:26] | on a darkened balcony | 站在光线昏暗的楼厅上 |
[36:28] | for three seconds tops, | 时间最多只有三秒钟 |
[36:30] | all the while being shot at and yet, | 同时还有枪朝着他们射击 然而 |
[36:33] | they’re positive. | 他们却非常肯定 |
[36:35] | How could that be? | 这怎么可能呢 |
[36:37] | And why start hiding internal reports | 为什么又要向辩护律师 |
[36:40] | from the defence lawyers? | 隐瞒内部调查报告呢 |
[36:41] | Why forget to mention the blood? | 为什么会忘了提血迹的事呢 |
[36:43] | Why come in with all this absolute, | 为什么提出这些绝对的 |
[36:46] | positive eyewitness accounts? | 完全确定的证人证言 |
[36:48] | Why forget to tell us | 为什么忘了告诉我们 |
[36:49] | ‘oh yeah, one of our officers | “哦 对了 我们有一位看起来 |
[36:51] | who was so positive wasn’t so positive | 非常确定的警官 在他改变主意之前 |
[36:54] | before he changed his mind’. | 其实没有那么确定?” |
[36:55] | Why not just be up front with what you got? | 为什么不坦然披露手上的全部证据呢 |
[36:59] | Why? | 为什么 |
[37:00] | Because without all that absolute positive stuff, | 因为如果没有这些绝对确定的证言 |
[37:04] | they lose him, | 他们就会输掉 |
[37:07] | they lose the guy they think did it. | 他们就会输给这个他们以为是枪手的人 |
[37:11] | And let’s be fair, | 实事求是地说 |
[37:13] | they lose so many, | 他们已经输了很多 |
[37:16] | and I know it turns stomachs. | 我知道这让人不爽 |
[37:19] | It’s turned our honourable your honour’s stomach so, | 也让我们尊敬的法官阁下不爽 |
[37:23] | he thinks nothing now of | 以至于他觉得可以这样对待被告 |
[37:25] | taping criminal defendant mouths’ shut, | 那就是封住被告的嘴 |
[37:28] | handcuffing them, | 拷住他 |
[37:30] | making them look guilty. | 让他显得有罪的样子 |
[37:32] | Hey, it’s his court, | 嘿 这是他的法庭 |
[37:34] | he’s old, | 他是个老人家 |
[37:35] | he’s probably had enough and he doesn’t care. | 他可能已经受够了 他不在乎 |
[37:38] | But the thing about juries, | 但是对于陪审团来说 |
[37:41] | it tends to be their one | 这通常是他们第一次 |
[37:43] | and only time serving this process. | 也是唯一一次服务于司法体系 |
[37:45] | So, they tend to take it seriously, | 所以 他们一般会慎重对待 |
[37:47] | and not just rush through with a bunch of assumptions. | 而不是基于一串假设而草率地得出结论 |
[37:50] | And therein lies Byron Little’s only hope. | 这就是Byron Little唯一的希望所在 |
[37:53] | It’s not with the police, | 它不在于警察 |
[37:54] | It’s not with our honourable your honour, | 不在于我们尊敬的法官阁下 |
[37:58] | it’s with you. | 而在于你们 |
[38:01] | You have two choices here. | 你们现在有两个选择 |
[38:03] | You can hold up the oath | 你们可以坚守自己的誓言 |
[38:05] | you took at the beginning of all this, | 你们在审判开始时候所做的誓言 |
[38:08] | or not. | 或者背叛它 |
[38:11] | Maybe guys like this, | 也许像他这样的人 |
[38:17] | we’re not supposed to care. | 我们没必要关心 |
[38:37] | Two eyewitnesses saw him shoot the gun, | 两位证人看到他开枪 |
[38:42] | saw him run into the stairwell. | 看到他跑进楼梯间 |
[38:46] | They pursued him into the stairwell and caught him. | 他们冲进楼梯间追赶他 抓住他 |
[38:54] | Sometimes we just want things | 有时候 我们希望事情复杂曲折 |
[38:56] | to be all juicy | 生动离奇 |
[38:57] | and complicated when they’re not. | 然而真相可能恰恰很简单 |
[39:02] | I am mindful of how difficult it must be | 我理解要指证自己的亲生父亲 |
[39:06] | to be faced with testifying against one’s own father, | 一定是件很艰难的事情 |
[39:10] | especially when that testimony | 特别是当这样的指证 |
[39:12] | could result in life imprisonment. | 可能导致终生监禁的时候 |
[39:14] | But I am also mindful of the courts’ need | 但是我同样理解 |
[39:19] | to assure the integrity of this criminal justice process. | 法庭需要确保刑事司法体系的公正性 |
[39:23] | Perjury is to be taken very, very seriously. | 伪证罪是非常 非常严重的罪行 |
[39:29] | I know you know this. | 我知道你明白这一点 |
[39:30] | I know you were apprised of the risks. | 我知道你已经衡量过其中的风险 |
[39:33] | Nevertheless, you chose to assume those risks. | 然而 你仍然决定承担这样的风险 |
[39:38] | In fact, given these warnings, | 事实上 考虑到这些警告 |
[39:39] | your commission of perjury was particularly knowing. | 你的伪证罪显得格外地明知故犯 |
[39:46] | I sentence you to 20 years at Cedar Junction. | 我判处你20年监禁 在雪松监狱服刑 |
[39:50] | The sentence is to begin immediately. | 判决立即执行 |
[39:52] | Bailiff. | 法警 |
[39:53] | We’re adjourned. | 休庭 |
[39:54] | We’ll appeal. | 我们要上诉 |
[39:55] | Ellenor Ellenor, | |
[39:56] | Gary, I want you to hang in there. | Gary 你要坚持住 |
[39:58] | We’re going to appeal. | 我们要上诉 |
[39:59] | We’re going to appeal. | 我们要上诉 |
[40:31] | Tell me. | 告诉我 |
[40:36] | He’s just a kid. | 他只是个孩子 |
[40:37] | He got afraid at the last second. | 他在最后一刻觉得害怕 |
[40:40] | He didn’t want to hurt his dad. | 他不想伤害自己的爸爸 |
[40:43] | What’d he get? | 判了多久 |
[40:46] | Maximum. 20 years. | 最高刑期 20年 |
[40:50] | God, Eugene, what have I done? | 天哪 Eugene 我做了些什么 |
[40:52] | Hey, this isn’t on you, Ellenor | 嘿 这不是你的错 Ellenor |
[40:55] | If I would’ve come down on him harder, | 如果我对他多施加点压力 |
[40:57] | if I would have just anticipated a felony murder… | 如果我预料到他会被指控重罪谋杀… |
[40:59] | This isn’t on you. | 这不是你的错 |
[41:06] | He’s going away for 20 years. | 他要入狱20年 |
[41:18] | Will the defendant please rise? | 请被告起立 |
[41:22] | Has the jury reached a unanimous verdict? | 陪审团达成一致的裁决了吗 |
[41:26] | We have. | 是的 |
[41:27] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[41:28] | On the matter of the Commonwealth vs. Byron Little, | 马萨诸塞州诉Byron Little |
[41:32] | on the charge of attempted murder, | 关于谋杀未遂的指控 |
[41:34] | we find the defendant | 我们判决被告 |
[41:37] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[41:40] | Unlock him, let him go. | 把他解开 放他走 |
[41:42] | Jury’s free, we’re adjourned. | 陪审团解散 休庭 |
[42:08] | You’re welcome. | 不客气 |