时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:04] | Hello | 你好 |
[00:05] | Hey, Rabbi. He is in his office you can go right in | 你好 拉比 他在办公室 你进去吧 |
[00:16] | Rabbi I just got off the phone with the DA | 拉比 我刚跟检察官打完电话 |
[00:20] | they wont be putting the girl’s | 他们不准备传那个女孩的 |
[00:21] | treating doctor up there | 主治医生出庭作证 |
[00:22] | -that’s good news -It is | -这是好消息 -是的 |
[00:24] | Probably means there is nothing couclusive he can say | 或许表明他也没法给出确定的结论 |
[00:27] | That brings down to her word against yours | 这样一来 就只有你们两个的证词了 |
[00:29] | I see | 我明白 |
[00:31] | Eugene Eugenne, | |
[00:32] | would you mind meeting with my board? | 你可不可以跟我们的委员会见个面 |
[00:34] | -Your board? -At the temple | -你们的委员会? -教会的委员会 |
[00:37] | They are paying the legal fees | 律师费是他们支付的 |
[00:39] | why do they want to meet? | 他们为什么想见我 |
[00:40] | They like an assesment of the case | 他们想评估一下案件的情况 |
[00:42] | and no doubt worry about the damage control | 显然他们很担心案件带来的负面影响 |
[00:45] | If a Synagogue’s rabbi is convicted of rape, | 如果一个犹太教会的拉比被判了强奸罪 |
[00:49] | I am sure they’ll want to be prepeared | 我相信他们想事先有所准备 |
[00:51] | how do you feel about me meeting with them? | 你对于我跟他们见面怎么看 |
[00:53] | I am OK with it, ** by me, so… | 我没有问题 所以… |
[01:00] | How are you assessing the case? | 你觉得案件结果会是怎样 |
[01:03] | It’s he said, she said, rabbi. | 只有她的说法和你的说法 拉比 |
[01:06] | you two are the only witnesses | 你们两个是仅有的证人 |
[01:09] | you two and god | 你们俩和上帝 |
[02:00] | The likehood is that the girl will testify | 他们很可能让那个女孩出庭作证 |
[02:02] | and then they’ll rest. | 然后就结束举证 |
[02:02] | I’ll call you, after that we close | 然后我传你作证 接着就是结案陈词 |
[02:04] | this should be over in a couple of days | 可能两三天就可以审完 |
[02:07] | I have to warn you | 我得提醒你 |
[02:09] | since these things will get some publicity | 因为这些事情会吸引公众的关注 |
[02:11] | the room will probabily be full | 法庭到时候可能会很挤 |
[02:13] | you might want to convey it to your congregation | 你最好跟你的教民讲一下 |
[02:15] | because if they really plan to turn out to support you | 因为如果他们真的想到场支持你的话 |
[02:18] | they’d better get there early | 他们最好早点去 |
[02:20] | I can’t testify, Mr Young | 我不能作证 Young先生 |
[02:23] | Excuse me? | 你说什么 |
[02:25] | The truth here, it could be very damaging | 事实可能会对我很不利 |
[02:31] | I thought you said you were innocent | 你不是说你是无辜的吗 |
[02:34] | I am. I didnt rape her | 是的 我没有强奸他 |
[02:36] | But the sex, it may be… | 但是我们做爱的时候 也许… |
[02:42] | It was a little forcable. | 有一点强迫 |
[02:46] | Forcable? | 强迫? |
[02:47] | it was consentual, but.. | 是自愿的 但是… |
[02:52] | Forcable? | 强迫? |
[02:56] | Why don’t you tell me exactly what happened | 你最好告诉我到底是怎么回事 |
[03:00] | we had been having a relationship | 我们之前一直在交往 |
[03:05] | and it was ending at her urging | 她当时提出要结束我们的关系 |
[03:09] | It was the second time she’d come to my office | 这是她第二次到我办公室来 |
[03:11] | with the purpose of breaking it off | 提出要跟我分手 |
[03:13] | The first time there were tears on both sides | 第一次来的时候 我们都哭了 |
[03:17] | and anger | 而且很生气 |
[03:20] | We had an argument | 我们吵了一架 |
[03:24] | Which led ultimately to a rather passionate session of love making | 吵到最后我们开始热烈地做爱 |
[03:28] | followed by a mutual decision to continue the relationship | 然后我们就一致决定继续我们的关系 |
[03:33] | That was the first time | 这是第一次 |
[03:34] | This time again she came to break it off | 这次她又来提出分手 |
[03:37] | again we argued | 我们又吵了起来 |
[03:39] | and again we begin to kiss, fondle | 我们又开始亲吻 爱抚 |
[03:48] | at which point she reiterated it was wrong | 这时候她再三地说”这是不对的” |
[03:52] | but Mr Young | 但是Young先生 |
[03:54] | she was the kind of person who likes sex more when it was…well | 她这个人喜欢在做爱的时候带一点…呃 |
[04:01] | it was my belief the purpose of the break ups | 我当时觉得 她之所以提出分手 |
[04:04] | i, i, it was to occasion my rage | 就是为了激怒我 |
[04:06] | because it excited her | 因为这样可以令她更兴奋 |
[04:09] | the sex was of a slightly forcable nature | 那一次的做爱确实带有一点点强迫的性质 |
[04:13] | even though I remained absolutely convinced | 但是在那个时候我内心完全确信 |
[04:16] | it was not only to her liking | 这不仅是她所喜欢的 |
[04:17] | but exactly what she wanted | 而且正是她想要的 |
[04:23] | the jury can not hear that story | 这番话不能说给陪审团听 |
[04:25] | tell me about it | 那是当然 |
[04:25] | so he is guilty , rabbi rapist | 这么说他有罪 拉比强奸犯 |
[04:27] | in his mind he thinks she consented it | 在他的内心 他以为她是同意的 |
[04:29] | you know there are thousands of thousands model rabbis out there | 这个世界上有成千上万的模范拉比 |
[04:32] | why is the ones come in here all criminals? | 为什么到这里来的都是罪犯呢 |
[04:34] | because we are criminal defense attorneys, Ellenor | 因为我们是刑事辩护律师 Ellenor |
[04:36] | Look, you haven’t lost it, Eugenne, | 你还没输呢 Eugene |
[04:38] | their case is only her word | 他们仅有的证据就是她的证词 |
[04:40] | you cross her good, you get reasonable doubt | 你盘问得好的话 就可以制造合理怀疑 |
[04:42] | -You want somebody to second chair? -No | -你需不需要有人协办 -不用 |
[04:44] | The girl is 23. | 那个女孩只有23岁 |
[04:46] | I don’t want the jury to see an army going against her | 我不想让陪审团看到一个律师团来对付她 |
[04:48] | but strategy has changed a little, | 不过辩护策略要改变 |
[04:51] | I could use some leg work | 我需要有人帮我跑跑腿 |
[04:53] | chase down some old boyfriends | 调查一下前男友什么的 |
[04:55] | Jimmy Jimmy? | |
[04:56] | whatever you need | 听候吩咐 |
[04:59] | Thank you for meeting with us | 谢谢你跟我们见面 |
[05:01] | No problem | 不客气 |
[05:02] | Obviously this matter is of significant concern to the Synagogue | 当然 犹太教会对这个事情非常关心 |
[05:06] | and let me preface by remarks by representing… | 我想先做个开场白 首先… |
[05:09] | Enough with the preface. | 废话就不用多说了 |
[05:10] | The man works on our lead, we pay for your prefaces | 他是来谈案子的 我不想听废话 |
[05:12] | -Sam -Never mind. We are all busy people here. | -Sam -没关系 我们大家都很忙 |
[05:15] | Say what you have to say | 有什么话就直接说吧 |
[05:16] | He is so damn worried all the time about being delicate | 他总是时时刻刻做出一副彬彬有礼的样子 |
[05:19] | -forgive me rabbi -It’s alright Sam | -抱歉 拉比 -没关系 Sam |
[05:21] | The fact of the matter is, It is delicate | 实事求是地说 情况有点棘手 |
[05:24] | It goes without saying, | 这是不言而喻的 |
[05:26] | the thoughtness of a trial would be very unfortuate for the Synagogue | 这样的诉讼对犹太教会非常不利 |
[05:30] | We are anticipating a civil suit as well since | 而且由于事情发生在拉比的办公室里 |
[05:32] | the event in question took place in the rabbi’s office | 我们估计会面临民事诉讼 |
[05:35] | She is already hiring an attorney, Mr.*** | 她已经请了律师 |
[05:37] | The whole thing is a set-up for a civil suit. | 前面这一切都是为民事诉讼做准备 |
[05:39] | The girl is a liar. | 这个女人是个骗子 |
[05:40] | She is looking for money. | 她就想要钱 |
[05:41] | As much as we object on principle, | 尽管我们原则上不同意 |
[05:43] | we will give it to her so long as it buys her silence | 但是只要她肯保持沉默 我们也愿意付钱 |
[05:45] | on the criminal suit as well. | 对于刑事诉讼也是一样 |
[05:47] | You can’t do that. | 你不能这么做 |
[05:49] | Technically no. Of course not. | 理论上当然不行 |
[05:50] | But rape victims change their minds | 但是强奸案的受害人经常会 |
[05:52] | about testifying all the time. | 改变主意不出庭作证 |
[05:53] | Why not just approach the girl on your own? | 你何不主动找这个女孩谈谈 |
[05:56] | Because I would assume that the threat | 因为我觉得在刑事诉讼中的 |
[05:57] | of cross examination | 交叉盘问造成的威胁 |
[05:59] | at the criminal trial will factor into any negotiation. | 是她不得不考虑的一个因素 |
[06:01] | You are the only one who can make that threat. | 只有你能够向她提出这种威胁 |
[06:04] | As well as make good on it. | 并且能够威胁得很好 |
[06:05] | What you are asking me to do is illegal. | 你要我做的事情是违法的 |
[06:08] | The legality turns on the execution. | 合不合法 看你怎么操作 |
[06:13] | Let’s cut to it. | 我们有话直说吧 |
[06:15] | The man is an enormously popular rabbi, | 被告是一位极其著名的拉比 |
[06:17] | central to our fundraising. | 对我们的募款活动举足轻重 |
[06:19] | We do not want that girl telling her story | 我们不希望那个女孩在法庭上或其他公开场合 |
[06:20] | in a courtroom or any other public venue. | 说出她所谓的事情真相 |
[06:23] | We have a settlement fund. | 我们有一个和解基金 |
[06:26] | I can’t bribe a witness in a criminal prosecution. | 我不能在刑事诉讼中收买证人 |
[06:29] | Don’t be naive with me, Mr Young. | 别跟我扮清纯 Young先生 |
[06:30] | You know exactly what you can do. | 你很清楚自己能做什么 |
[06:32] | You know what you can’t. | 清楚不能做什么 |
[06:33] | You are the man’s defence attorney. | 你是被告的辩护律师 |
[06:34] | You have a duty to explore every option. | 你有义务穷尽一切可能的手段 |
[06:36] | I don’t like this one. | 我不喜欢这种手段 |
[06:37] | Why? | 为什么 |
[06:38] | What is your concern? | 你担心什么 |
[06:39] | If it lies with Rabbi Jacobs, he’ll do it | 如果问题在于Jacobs拉比 他会这么做 |
[06:41] | because it may spare him criminal prosecution. | 因为这样或许可以让他避免刑事指控 |
[06:43] | If it lies with you, again, | 如果问题在于你 我再说一遍 |
[06:46] | we are not asking you to do anything | 我们对你提出的要求 |
[06:48] | that you can not find a way to do legally. | 你并不是找不到合法的方式去做 |
[06:51] | If it lies with the girl, well, | 如果问题在于那个女孩 那么 |
[06:53] | If this goes to trial. | 如果这个案子上庭审理 |
[06:55] | We all know what you’d be doing with the girl, | 我们都知道你会怎么对付那个女孩 |
[06:58] | don’t we, Mr Young? | 不是吗 Young先生 |
[07:02] | Please sit. | 请坐 |
[07:03] | I apologise for Stuart. | 我为Stuart的态度向你道歉 |
[07:06] | The skills needed to be a board president | 作为委员会的主席 |
[07:08] | differ from those needed to be a Rabbi. | 跟当拉比需要不同的行事风格 |
[07:10] | You are the one charged with rape. | 被指控强奸罪的人是你 |
[07:13] | And you now consider me guilty, don’t you? | 而你现在觉得我是有罪的 对吧 |
[07:15] | I think if you tell your story, | 我觉得如果你出庭说出事情的经过 |
[07:17] | you’ll get convicted. | 你会被判决有罪 |
[07:19] | Does the board know your story? | 你有没有把事情的经过告诉委员会 |
[07:20] | No. | 没有 |
[07:21] | I told them it was consensual | 我告诉他们是双方自愿的 |
[07:22] | which I maintained it was. | 我始终这么认为 |
[07:24] | I don’t think they need to know more. | 我觉得其他的他们没必要知道 |
[07:27] | Eugene, you just said if I testify | Eugene 你刚才说如果我出庭作证 |
[07:32] | I will be convicted. | 我会被判有罪 |
[07:33] | What if I don’t testify? | 如果我不出庭作证呢 |
[07:35] | I don’t like the chances. | 我对结果不乐观 |
[07:38] | So could you at least | 那么 你能不能至少跟她的 |
[07:40] | meet with her civil attorney? | 民事代理律师见个面 |
[07:44] | I am not comfortable with this at all. | 我一点儿也不喜欢跟你谈这些 |
[07:46] | Neither am I. | 我也不喜欢 |
[07:47] | You see, a man’s freedom is on the line here. | 要知道 某个人的自由受到威胁 |
[07:50] | His life even. | 甚至整个的生活 |
[07:52] | This is a very beloved rabbi. | 他是个备受爱戴的拉比 |
[07:54] | I thought you couldn’t do this in rape cases. | 我以为你们在刑事诉讼中不能这么做 |
[07:56] | Dig up old boyfriends of the victim? | 调查受害人的前男友? |
[07:58] | I thought there are laws against putting the victim on trial. | 我记得法律禁止在诉讼中攻击受害人 |
[08:01] | We don’t plan to do that. | 我们不准备这么做 |
[08:03] | I will tell you this. | 我告诉你 |
[08:05] | Terri is not a liar. | Terri不会撒谎 |
[08:06] | She is not gonna make something like this up. | 她不会编造出这样的故事 |
[08:08] | If she says she was raped, | 如果她说自己被强奸了 |
[08:10] | then I believe she was. | 那我相信她真的被强奸了 |
[08:13] | It is possible there was a misunderstanding. | 有没有可能是一场误会呢 |
[08:17] | A misunderstanding? | 误会? |
[08:18] | About a rape? | 误会了强奸? |
[08:22] | We got some information. | 我们得到一些信息 |
[08:25] | Miss Reynolds, | Reynolds小姐 |
[08:26] | maybe she likes sex on the rougher side. | 也许她喜欢粗野一点的性爱 |
[08:31] | Are you suggesting maybe she wanted to be raped? | 你的意思是她自己想被强奸? |
[08:33] | No. | 不是 |
[08:35] | I am suggesting rough sex. | 我的意思是粗野的性爱 |
[08:39] | He thought she liked that. | 我们的当事人觉得她喜欢 |
[08:43] | Would it be possible for him to think that? | 他有没有可能会产生这样的想法 |
[08:53] | May I help you? | 有什么可以帮你的 |
[08:54] | We are here to see Eugene Young. | 我们来找Eugene Young |
[08:55] | Scott, hi | Scott 嗨 |
[08:57] | Hi Eugene, | 嗨 Eugene |
[09:01] | This should be you and me alone. | 我跟你两个单独谈比较好 |
[09:02] | I don’t really think I should have contact with her. | 我跟她接触不太合适 |
[09:05] | OK. | 好的 |
[09:06] | We can go to the conference room. | 我们去会议室吧 |
[09:08] | Lucy Lucy. | |
[09:09] | Sure. | 好的 |
[09:12] | I’ll just be a few minutes. | 我们几分钟就可以谈完 |
[09:14] | OK. | 好的 |
[09:16] | Can I get you some coffee or something? | 请问需不需要咖啡或什么的 |
[09:18] | I am fine, thank you. | 不用 谢谢了 |
[09:22] | Thanks for coming in. | 谢谢你今天过来 |
[09:24] | I am a little suspect of the timing, Eugene. | 我觉得现在这个时机有点可疑 Eugene |
[09:26] | A day before the criminal trial gets under way? | 就在刑事诉讼开庭审理的前一天? |
[09:29] | This is only about the civil litigation. | 我们今天只谈民事诉讼的问题 |
[09:31] | Let’s be clear on that. | 这一点我们要说清楚 |
[09:33] | OK. | 好的 |
[09:36] | We are offering 1.2 million sealed. | 我们愿意赔偿120万 |
[09:38] | No admission of liability. | 不承认责任 |
[09:39] | Conditioned on a complete and total gag agreement. | 前提条件是必须绝对完全的保密 |
[09:41] | If she ever tells her story in any public form, | 如果她在任何公开场合陈述事情经过 |
[09:43] | the deal is off. | 协议就无效 |
[09:44] | What about her testimony at the criminal trial? | 那她在刑事诉讼中的作证怎么办 |
[09:46] | Look, I am only talking about the civil litigation. | 我今天只谈民事诉讼的问题 |
[09:48] | I understand. | 我明白 |
[09:48] | But if she testifies at the criminal trial, | 但是如果她在刑事诉讼中出庭作证 |
[09:50] | her story would then get out. | 她就会说出事情的经过 |
[09:52] | Right. | 没错 |
[09:54] | I hadn’t thought of that. | 我倒是没有考虑到这一点 |
[09:57] | The offer will be revoked, I guess. | 协议就会被撤销 我想 |
[09:59] | You hadn’t thought of that? | 你没有考虑到这一点 |
[10:02] | Look, I am not asking you to advise | 我并没有让你在刑事诉讼上 |
[10:03] | your client on the criminal trial. | 给你的当事人提供怎样的建议 |
[10:05] | But me and you, off the record, doesn’t leave the room? | 但是我们俩只在这里私底下说 |
[10:08] | Go ahead. | 你说吧 |
[10:09] | Young black woman | 一个是年轻的黑人女子 |
[10:10] | up against a respected rabbi. | 一个是广受尊敬的拉比 |
[10:11] | No witness. | 没有证人 |
[10:12] | Vaginal bruising | 有阴道擦伤 |
[10:13] | Inconclusive. | 结论并不确定 |
[10:14] | They’re not even calling the doctor up. | 他们甚至都不会传医生出庭作证 |
[10:15] | Plus, | 再说了 |
[10:18] | there is some evidence that she likes it a little rough. | 有证据表明她喜欢粗野一点的方式 |
[10:20] | What? | 什么 |
[10:21] | We talked to some old boyfriends. | 我们问过她的前男友 |
[10:22] | Rape shield, Eugene. | 强奸受害人保护法则 Eugene |
[10:23] | Rape shield goes to putting | 强奸受害人保护法则是禁止 |
[10:24] | the victim’s character on trial. | 对受害人的品格提出质疑 |
[10:26] | This goes to a how issue. | 但这是个涉及方式的问题 |
[10:27] | I think I can get around | 我觉得我们可以绕过 |
[10:28] | the rape shield and… | 强奸受害人保护法则 而且… |
[10:28] | -Eugene, this is absolute… -Scott, listen. | -Eugene 这完全是… -Scott 听我说 |
[10:30] | This is gonna be one ugly mean trial | 这将是一场难看的 刻毒的庭审 |
[10:32] | where she will come out with nothing more than a nightmare. | 她唯一能够从中得到的 只是一场噩梦 |
[10:35] | And there is more than a million dollars on the table. | 而现在有一百多万美元就摆在眼前 |
[10:40] | If she suddenly changes her mind about testifying, | 如果她突然改变主意决定不作证 |
[10:43] | they will just subpoena her. | 他们可以强制传唤她 |
[10:44] | Maybe, maybe not. | 也许会 也许不会 |
[10:50] | Go talk to her. | 你去跟她谈谈吧 |
[11:15] | What’s going on? | 怎么回事 |
[11:16] | They’re in my office discussing the offer. | 他们在我的办公室里商量和解方案 |
[11:18] | Which offer could get you disbarred. | 这个和解方案可能会让你被吊销执照 |
[11:20] | I was careful that I didn’t cross the line. | 我很小心 没有越界 |
[11:22] | Are you sure? | 你确定吗 |
[11:23] | Cause if she suddenly tells the DA | 因为如果她突然告诉地区检察官 |
[11:24] | she doesn’t want to prosecute. | 说她不想继续指控了 |
[11:25] | We can expect a SWAT team to show up here. | 他们说不定会派特警来保护她 |
[11:27] | I walked the line. | 我没有越线 |
[11:36] | Your offer is rejected. | 我们拒绝你的方案 |
[11:37] | She was raped and she is not gonna pretend otherwise, | 她的确被强奸了 她不会假装没有被强奸 |
[11:40] | even for a million dollars. | 哪怕是为了得到100万美元 |
[11:42] | Now I am gonna bring it through, | 我会帮她处理接下来的事情 |
[11:43] | I don’t want you speaking to her. | 我希望你不要跟她接触 |
[11:44] | I wasn’t planning to. | 我没这个打算 |
[12:02] | So I guess the theory she is trying | 她这么做只是为了要钱 |
[12:04] | to get some money, that’s shot? | 这个说法现在恐怕不成立了吧 |
[12:05] | It can still be argued | 我们仍然可以这样辩护 |
[12:07] | The jury won’t know anything about this offer. | 陪审团完全不会知道这个和解方案 |
[12:08] | Settlement discussions are inadmissible | 和解过程中的谈判内容不能作为证据 |
[12:11] | Can you still argue it | 既然明知不是事实 |
[12:12] | knowing it isn’t true? | 你还能以这个理由辩护吗 |
[12:13] | We don’t know anything, Rebecca. | 我们什么都不知道 Rebecca |
[12:14] | Could be she turned down a million | 她之所以拒绝了一百万 |
[12:15] | cause she is looking for two. | 说不定是因为她想要两百万 |
[12:16] | We don’t know anything. | 我们什么都不知道 |
[12:20] | One boyfriend said she liked to get a little physically. | 有一个前男友说她喜欢动作激烈一点 |
[12:22] | He didn’t use the word rough. | 他并没有用”粗野”这个词 |
[12:23] | What about the other boyfriend with two names? | 另外那个有两个名字的前男友呢 |
[12:25] | He threatened to call the police if I didn’t leave. | 他威胁说如果我不离开 他就马上报警 |
[12:27] | Well, I got something anyway. | 呃 总算有所收获 |
[12:30] | I am due at a pre-trial. | 我要去参加审前商议 |
[12:32] | You are sure you don’t want backup? | 你确定你不需要人协办? |
[12:33] | I am fine. | 不需要 |
[12:55] | They are bringing in a hired gun DA. | 他们指派了一位非常专业的检察官 |
[12:57] | We have been up against him before. | 我们以前跟他打过对手 |
[12:59] | He is tough. | 他很棒 |
[13:01] | Any good news? | 有什么好消息吗 |
[13:03] | Well, actually yes. | 确实有 |
[13:04] | I just came from the pre-trial conference. | 我刚刚参加完审前会议 |
[13:06] | I told the judge | 我跟法官说 |
[13:07] | if they introduce any evidence of virginal bruising, | 如果他们把阴道擦伤作为证据的话 |
[13:09] | then we will be offering evidence of her sexual preferences. | 那我们就会提交证据证明她的性偏好 |
[13:14] | They tried to get it excluded on rape shield. | 他们想以强奸受害人法则阻止我们举证 |
[13:17] | The judge said he might hear it depending on our offer of proof. | 法官说他会视证据的具体情况而定 |
[13:20] | Bottom line, I don’t think the DA will admit the medicals | 至少 我相信检察官不会提交医学上的证据 |
[13:23] | It was inconclusive to begin with. | 这些证据首先就是不确定的 |
[13:27] | That’s good. | 这是好消息 |
[13:30] | Are we ready, Mr Young. | 我们准备好了吗 Young先生 |
[13:34] | We are ready. | 准备好了 |
[13:51] | -Are you trying to bribe my sister, counsel? -Get away from me. | -你是想收买我的姐姐吗 律师 -走开 |
[13:52] | Are you trying to bribe my sister, counsel? | 你是想收买我姐姐吗 律师 |
[13:55] | You rape her then you buy her off, | 你强奸了她 然后你又收买她 |
[13:56] | is that what you think? | 你是这么打算的吗 |
[14:01] | We had first met at a drug-counselling centre | 我们最初是在一个毒品咨询中心认识的 |
[14:04] | where we both volunteered. | 我们都在那里当志愿者 |
[14:06] | We became friends. | 我们成了朋友 |
[14:07] | We’d get coffee sometimes after work. | 有时候工作做完之后我们会去喝杯咖啡 |
[14:10] | And at some point, you became more than friends. | 渐渐地 你们就不止是朋友了 |
[14:13] | Yes, after a few months, | 是的 过了几个月 |
[14:15] | he asked me to go to a movie. | 他约我一起看电影 |
[14:17] | We talked about movies a lot, | 我们聊了很多关于电影的话题 |
[14:19] | so one time he asked if I’d joined him. | 所以有一次 他问我想不想跟他一起 |
[14:22] | I said half joking, you know, | 我半开玩笑地回答他说 |
[14:23] | people would think we’re dating. | 别人会以为我们是在约会 |
[14:26] | And then he asked, actually he said, | 然后他问道 其实应该是说道 |
[14:29] | that he would like that, to date. | 那正是他想要的 约会 |
[14:33] | And your response? | 你怎么回答的 |
[14:34] | I said, hello, you are old enough to be my father, Minister. | 我说 拜托 你都可以当我的爸爸了 牧师 |
[14:40] | More and more, I don’t know. | 渐渐地 我不知道 |
[14:43] | I became infatuated. | 我渐渐地迷上他了 |
[14:45] | At first I thought just with his wisdom, | 一开始 我觉得只是迷上了他的智慧 |
[14:47] | but then, with him. | 但是后来 迷上他本人 |
[14:49] | And by six months, we were dating. | 六个月之后 我们开始约会 |
[14:52] | Was the relationship physical? | 你们发展到身体上的关系了吗 |
[14:54] | Yes, and it was passionate. | 是的 而且我们很有激情 |
[14:57] | But at some point, things changed. | 但是后来 事情有些变化 |
[15:01] | I met somebody, somebody my own age. | 我遇到了另一个人 跟我年龄相仿的人 |
[15:05] | And I, well, I fell in love with him. | 然后我 呃 我爱上了他 |
[15:09] | Did you tell this to Rabbi Jacobs? | 你有没有告诉Jacobs拉比 |
[15:11] | Yes, I went to his office. | 有 我去了他的办公室 |
[15:14] | And by this time, I know he was very much in love with me. | 那一次 我知道他是真的深爱着我 |
[15:17] | Objection. | 反对 |
[15:18] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[15:19] | How did you know this? | 你怎么知道的 |
[15:20] | He told me many times. | 他告诉我的 很多次 |
[15:22] | Plus, he seemed to be becoming more obsessive. | 而且 他显得越来越迷恋我 |
[15:25] | Objection. | 反对 |
[15:26] | Overruled. | 反对无效 |
[15:27] | How did he seem more obsessive? | 他怎么显得越来越迷恋 |
[15:29] | He would want to see me more and more often | 他想花更多的时间和我呆在一起 |
[15:31] | and he would call sometimes three times a day. | 有时候 他一天给我打三个电话 |
[15:35] | Turning your attention back to that night. | 我们再回到那天晚上的情景 |
[15:39] | Yes. I went to his office to tell him, | 好的 我去他的办公室告诉他 |
[15:42] | it had to be over. | 我们必须分手 |
[15:44] | He became enraged. | 他很生气 |
[15:46] | We started shouting at one another. | 我们开始互相咆哮 |
[15:48] | You were yelling as well. | 你也在大吼大叫 |
[15:50] | Oh yes. | 是的 |
[15:51] | I had some issues. | 我也很不高兴 |
[15:52] | But when I made it clear, I was really leaving. | 但是当我把话说清楚之后 我真的准备离开 |
[15:56] | He just grabbed me. | 他突然抓住我 |
[15:58] | And he said something like stop the game. | 然后他说什么”别玩了”之类的话 |
[16:03] | Stop the game? | 别玩了? |
[16:04] | He thought that I was trying to work him up into some anger. | 他以为我是故意激怒他的 |
[16:08] | Because he thought that I thought | 因为他以为我觉得 |
[16:10] | it made him a better lover. | 这样会让他显得更有魅力 |
[16:12] | It was ridiculous. | 这是无稽之谈 |
[16:13] | When you say he grabbed you? | 你说他抓住你? |
[16:16] | By the arms. | 抓住我的胳膊 |
[16:17] | I said let go of me. | 我说放开我 |
[16:19] | But he wouldn’t. | 但是他不放 |
[16:21] | He starts forcing his tongue into my mouth. | 他开始强行把舌头伸到我嘴里来 |
[16:27] | I told him no. | 我跟他说不要 |
[16:28] | Then he pushed me onto the ground. | 然后他把我推倒在地上 |
[16:35] | And he’s pushing my dress up. | 他把我的裙子掀上去 |
[16:38] | Were you trying to get away? | 你有没有努力挣脱 |
[16:40] | Yes. | 有 |
[16:41] | I am telling him to get off. | 我叫他放开我 |
[16:43] | Then he, he has me by the wrists | 然后他 他按住我的手腕 |
[16:49] | And he is using his knees to push my thighs apart. | 然后他用膝盖把我的大腿挤开 |
[16:55] | And then he was in me. | 然后他就进去了 |
[16:59] | He was pushing himself inside of me. | 他插进了我的身体里面 |
[17:02] | Did you yell for help? | 你有没有大声呼救 |
[17:04] | I don’t really remember. | 我真的不记得了 |
[17:06] | All I remembered thinking, | 我只记得当时在想 |
[17:10] | my God, this is one of the kindest, | 天哪 这个人是我见过的最和蔼 |
[17:13] | most gentle people I’ve ever met. | 最绅士的人之一 |
[17:18] | and then being raped by him. | 现在却被他强奸了 |
[17:23] | The man was raping me. | 这个人在强奸我 |
[17:38] | OK. I got to beat that testimony apart. | 好了 我得推倒她的那些证言 |
[17:41] | Was she wrong? | 她说的是假的吗 |
[17:42] | I don’t believe she was. | 我想不是 |
[17:46] | I mean, in our mind, | 我是说 在我们心里 |
[17:48] | I assume that is what happened. | 我想事情的经过是这样的 |
[17:50] | But she didn’t scream, Mr. Young. | 但是她并没有叫 Young先生 |
[17:52] | She didn’t say get off me. | 她没有说”放开我” |
[17:54] | She said things like this is wrong, don’t do this. | 她说的是 “这样不好 别这样” |
[17:58] | The difference in your mind being? | 你觉得区别在哪里 |
[18:00] | From much of our history, | 根据我们过去交往的历史 |
[18:01] | in the throes of making love, | 在做爱的过程中 |
[18:02] | we would both say things like that. | 我们都会说这些 |
[18:04] | We shouldn’t be doing this. | “我们不能这么做” |
[18:05] | What we are doing. | “我们这是在干什么” |
[18:06] | It went to the head verse heart conflict. | 就好像是理智与情感的冲突 |
[18:08] | If you see it in a movie, | 如果你在电影中看到这样的场景 |
[18:10] | it’s romantic even. | 甚至会觉得很浪漫 |
[18:11] | Well, this is no movie and it’s not that ** format. | 但这可不是电影 |
[18:19] | I didn’t rape her, Mr. Young. | 我没有强奸她 Young先生 |
[18:22] | It is possible that she really didn’t want to make love | 有可能她是真的不想做爱 |
[18:25] | and I was wrong but I… | 有可能我理解错了 但是… |
[18:28] | We talked after. | 事后她还跟我说话 |
[18:29] | And when she was saying it was wrong, | 当她说这样做是错的 |
[18:31] | she was saying we shouldn’t have done that. | 她说的是”我们不该这么做” |
[18:34] | Not you, we. | 没有说”你” 而是”我们” |
[18:36] | And she didn’t run out | 而且她也没有跑出去 |
[18:47] | Can’t believe this is happening. | 我不敢相信这一切真的发生了 |
[18:51] | So why not just have him tell his story? | 那为什么不让他出庭作证 说出当时的想法呢 |
[18:53] | I thought she really wanted it | 我觉得她其实想要 |
[18:55] | and insisting it was just part of the game, | 坚持说这只是一种增加情趣的方式 |
[18:56] | he’d be convicted before he gets out of the chair. | 不用等他从证人席上下来 他就会被认定有罪 |
[18:59] | So what are you gonna do? | 那你准备怎么办 |
[19:01] | I just have to go after her, wack her credibility. | 我只能搞定她 摧毁她的可信度 |
[19:07] | What? | 什么 |
[19:08] | She told the truth. | 她说的是事实 |
[19:10] | You pretty much know she told the truth | 你自己都知道她说的是事实 |
[19:12] | and you gonna get up tomorrow | 结果你明天要站出来 |
[19:13] | and do everything you can to make her look like a liar. | 用尽一切手段让她显得像个骗子 |
[19:15] | I don’t have much choice. | 我没有别的选择 |
[19:17] | How about she is entitled to her story, | 为什么不让她说出她的说法 |
[19:18] | he is entitled to his? | 你的当事人说出自己的说法 |
[19:20] | Let the jury decide. | 然后让陪审团来决定 |
[19:24] | Do you even see the perversity | 你到底有没有意识到 |
[19:26] | of you are about to do? | 你将要做的事情是多么邪恶 |
[19:27] | Look. We haven’t had dinner for months | 我们已经几个月没有在一起吃饭了 |
[19:29] | If we’re going to fight, | 如果我们又要吵架 |
[19:30] | can we at least argue about something new? | 我们能不能至少换个新的话题来吵 |
[19:32] | Why does it always have to be about what I do? | 为什么每次都是拿我的工作来争吵 |
[19:34] | Do you take stock of what you do? | 你有没有认真思考过你的工作 |
[19:35] | I don’t get to stock of it, | 我不需要思考我的工作 |
[19:37] | not on a case-by-case basis. | 不需要在每一个案子当中去思考 |
[19:39] | I have a client charged with a crime. | 我的当事人被指控犯罪 |
[19:41] | I take stock the best way | 我思考的是 |
[19:42] | to prevent his getting convicted of that crime. | 有什么最好的办法可以阻止他被定罪 |
[19:44] | Here is simple. | 很简单 |
[19:45] | Attack the credibility of the eyewitness. | 攻击目击证人的可信度 |
[19:48] | The man will quit before doing | 正常人在面临你这样的工作的时候 |
[19:49] | what you’re about to do. | 会选择退出 |
[19:51] | I am sorry it is true. | 很抱歉 但这是真的 |
[19:53] | She is twenty-three years old. | 她只有23岁 |
[19:55] | She was raped by a Rabbi. | 她被一个拉比强奸了 |
[19:57] | Could you keep your voice down? | 你能不能小点声 |
[19:57] | Do you have any idea | 你知不知道 |
[19:58] | how hard it must have been for her to come forward? | 她站出来指控是多么的不容易 |
[20:00] | Now she is about to be brutalised in a witness chair | 结果她现在要在证人席上接受折磨 |
[20:02] | I am not about to brutalise anybody. | 我不会折磨任何人 |
[20:04] | Of course, you are. | 你当然会 |
[20:05] | If you think that’s the best way to prevent a conviction, | 如果你认为这是阻止定罪的最好的办法 |
[20:07] | that’s exact what you are doing. | 你当然就是要折磨她 |
[20:08] | I am telling you a good man would quit first. | 我告诉你 一个正直的人会选择退出 |
[20:11] | I think it will be nice to go to dinner. | 我以为一起吃饭会很愉快 |
[20:13] | We go out and you start, | 我们一起出来 结果你又开始念叨 |
[20:15] | you start right back again and again. | 你像以前一样不停地念叨念叨 |
[20:16] | You come out. | 你又来了 |
[20:16] | I’m a defence attorney, Sharon. | 我是个辩护律师 Sharon |
[20:18] | Eugene, you have a choice. | Eugene 你自己可以选择 |
[20:20] | What’s my choice? Quit my job? | 怎么选择 辞职不干了 |
[20:22] | And do what? Do what? | 然后做什么 做什么 |
[20:24] | And here is a flash. | 让我告诉你 |
[20:25] | I’m well respected in that courtroom. You know why? | 我在法庭上很受人尊重 知道为什么吗 |
[20:27] | Because I am good. | 因为我很棒 |
[20:28] | A judge sees Eugene Young walk into his court. | 如果法官看到Eugene Young走上他的法庭 |
[20:30] | He knows a good lawyer is in the room. | 他就知道法庭上有个好律师 |
[20:32] | Now I may not get respect from you, | 也许我得不到你的尊重 |
[20:33] | but I get it from them | 但是我得到了其他人的尊重 |
[20:35] | and I get it in that room. | 在法庭上得到尊重 |
[20:36] | Is that why you asked me out to dinner tonight? | 这就是你今天晚上约我吃饭的原因吗 |
[20:39] | To get my respect? | 为了得到我的尊重? |
[20:40] | I asked your out because… | 我约你出来是因为… |
[20:45] | you think these cases are easy for me, Sharon? | 你以为这些案子对我来说容易吗 Sharon |
[20:47] | Sometimes, sometimes are harder than others to be alone. | 有时候 有时候一个人会觉得更难熬 |
[20:54] | That’s.. | 所以… |
[20:59] | Let’s just eat. | 还是吃饭吧 |
[21:10] | I remember the day you graduated from law school. | 我还记得你从法学院毕业的那天 |
[21:14] | The smile on your face, the plans in your heart. | 面带微笑 胸怀大志 |
[21:18] | You remember that day, Eugene? | 你还记得那一天吗 Eugene |
[21:21] | We danced all night. | 我们整晚都在跳舞 |
[21:25] | When was the last time you danced? | 你有多久没有跳舞了 |
[21:29] | It is not just that you don’t have the time anymore. | 不仅仅是因为你现在没有时间 |
[21:35] | There is no dance in you anymore. | 你已经没有跳舞的心了 |
[21:38] | You begin to rot a little inside. | 你的内心开始有点腐蚀了 |
[21:41] | Maybe they don’t tell you that at work. | 也许你那些同事们没有告诉你 |
[21:43] | Maybe they don’t see it. | 也许他们没有看出来 |
[21:44] | But I see it. | 但是我看出来了 |
[21:48] | I know the man I fell so in love with. | 我了解我曾经深爱的那个人 |
[21:52] | I remember the why you became a lawyer. | 我记得你为什么成为律师 |
[21:56] | The plans in your heart. | 你心中的理想 |
[22:02] | Can we please just eat? | 我们专心吃饭好吗 |
[22:09] | Sure | 好 |
[22:20] | Mr.Young. | Young先生 |
[22:24] | Ms. Reynolds, my name is Eugene Young | Reynolds小姐 我叫Eugene Young |
[22:25] | I represent the defendant. | 我是被告的辩护律师 |
[22:27] | Yes, I know who you are. | 是 我知道你是谁 |
[22:28] | A lot of people in this room, | 今天法庭上有这么多人 |
[22:31] | stakes are high, I guess, | 案件关系重大 |
[22:32] | Respected rabbi ** losing his freedom, his whole life | 受人尊敬的拉比 他的自由 他的人生 |
[22:36] | on the word of one witness, you. | 取决于一个证人的证言 就是你 |
[22:38] | So I need to ask you some questions. | 所以我需要问你几个问题 |
[22:40] | Are you person of your word, Ms. Reynolds? | 你是个说话可信的人吗 Reynolds小姐 |
[22:42] | Yes. | 是的 |
[22:43] | Do you consider yourself an honourable person? | 你觉得自己是一个正直诚实的人吗 |
[22:45] | Objection. | 反对 |
[22:46] | That’s an unfair question? | 这个问题有什么不妥吗 |
[22:47] | A defendant is allowed to confront his accuser, | 被告有权利跟指控他的人对质 |
[22:49] | but the question as to whether the accuser is honourable | 我在问指控他的人是不是正直诚实 |
[22:52] | that’s off limits? | 这个问题难道不能问吗 |
[22:53] | Counsel is trying to intimidate the witness. | 辩护律师企图恐吓证人 |
[22:55] | Fine. | 行了 |
[22:55] | Mr. Bullock, | Bullock先生 |
[22:57] | I’ll give defense counsel some latititude here. | 我决定给辩护律师一点发挥的空间 |
[22:59] | Mr. Young, do not abuse it. | Young先生 控制一下分寸 |
[23:02] | The question was, | 我的问题是 |
[23:07] | Do you consider yourself an honourable person? | 你觉得自己是一个正直诚实的人吗 |
[23:10] | Yes, I do. | 是的 |
[23:11] | You’re honest with people? | 你待人很诚实? |
[23:13] | I believe I am. | 我想是的 |
[23:14] | In the 11 months you were romantically involved with my client | 在你和我的当事人交往的11个月当中 |
[23:18] | did you ever tell anybody? | 你有没有告诉过其他人 |
[23:19] | Did I ever tell anybody? | 我有没有告诉过其他人 |
[23:21] | Yes. your parents, your brothers, best friend. | 是 你的父母 你的兄弟 你最好的朋友 |
[23:24] | Did you ever tell anybody | 你有没有告诉任何人 |
[23:25] | you were seeing rabbi Jacobs? | 你在跟Jacobs拉比约会 |
[23:26] | No, because if it ever came out, | 没有 因为如果这件事情公开 |
[23:28] | it would have meant his losing his Synagogue. | 他就会失去在犹太教会的职位 |
[23:30] | Did you ever conceal it from anybody? | 你有没有向任何人隐瞒这件事 |
[23:32] | Ever say like you were | 比如 有没有跟别人说 |
[23:33] | going to the movies with friends, | 和朋友一起去看电影 |
[23:35] | and in actuality, you were going to see my client, | 但实际上 你是去跟我的当事人约会 |
[23:37] | did you ever say anything like that? | 你有没有说过这一类的话 |
[23:38] | I’m sure I did. | 我想是有的 |
[23:39] | That would be a lie, wouldn’t it, Ms. Reynolds? | 那是在撒谎 对吧 Reynolds小姐 |
[23:41] | I don’t deny concealing the affair, so did he. | 我并不否认曾隐瞒我们的恋情 他也一样 |
[23:44] | What about this young man you say you fell love with? | 那么你所说的你爱上的这个年轻人 |
[23:47] | When you first began dating him, | 当你刚开始跟他约会的时候 |
[23:49] | did you tell him | 你有没有告诉他 |
[23:50] | that you were in a relationship with somebody else? | 你同时还在跟其他人约会 |
[23:52] | No, I didn’ t tell him. | 没有 我没有告诉他 |
[23:53] | That’s one of the bigger lies, isn’t it? | 那是个更大的谎言 不是吗 |
[23:55] | To be involved with two different people at the same time? | 同时跟两个人约会? |
[23:57] | Your honor, if he is gonna go this far off, | 法官阁下 如果他偏离主题这么远 |
[23:58] | I think he… | 我觉得他… |
[23:59] | I win this by taking the stand, | 既然她选择出庭作证 |
[24:00] | put her reputation for truth in issue. | 她的名誉就应该接受质疑 |
[24:02] | I’m gonna round you in, Mr. Young. | 我要制止你 Young先生 |
[24:04] | You’ve made your point. | 你的观点已经说清楚了 |
[24:05] | Ms. Reynolds, you say you met my client | Reynolds小姐 你说你是在一个 |
[24:08] | at the drug counseling program, | 毒品咨询项目中认识了我的当事人 |
[24:09] | in which you both were volunteers. | 你们两个都在其中做志愿者 |
[24:11] | Truth is, you knew of him | 事实上 在此之前你就知道 |
[24:12] | before that, correct? | 他这个人 对吧 |
[24:13] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:14] | In fact, one of the reasons you went there to volunteer | 事实上 你之所以去参加那个项目的志愿者 |
[24:16] | was because rabbi Jacobs was there | 原因之一正是因为Jacobs拉比在那里 |
[24:18] | and you want to meet him. | 你想借机会认识他 |
[24:19] | Yes, I don’t deny that. | 是的 这一点我不否认 |
[24:21] | He is a pretty famous rabbi | 他是个非常著名的拉比 |
[24:22] | and I knew people who knew him, | 我认识的人当中有人就认识他 |
[24:24] | and I wanted to meet him. | 我想跟他见见面 |
[24:25] | Well, that isn’t quite the impression | 哦 你之前留给陪审团的印象 |
[24:27] | you gave the jury. | 可不是这样的 |
[24:28] | From your direct testimony, | 在你之前的证言中 |
[24:29] | it seemed like you happened to meet him | 你说得好像你们俩只是 |
[24:31] | in a place you both worked, | 刚好在一起工作 偶然相识而已 |
[24:32] | when the truth is you went to this place | 但事实是 你到那里去工作的目的 |
[24:34] | motivated to meet him. | 就是想认识他 |
[24:36] | That’s what really happened, right? | 这才是真实的情况 对吧 |
[24:37] | I suppose. | 我想是的 |
[24:38] | Your honor, for this room being so crowded, | 法官阁下 法庭今天太拥挤 |
[24:40] | it’s kind of hot. | 我觉得有点热 |
[24:41] | With the court’s permission, I’d like to take off my jacket. | 恳请法庭准许我把外套脱下来 |
[24:44] | Permission granted. | 本庭准许 |
[24:45] | Are you comfortable, Ms. Reynolds? | 你有没有觉得不舒服 Reynolds小姐 |
[24:47] | I’m fine. | 我很好 |
[24:48] | Coz this might take a while. | 我的盘问一时半会还不会结束 |
[24:58] | How is going? | 怎么样 |
[24:59] | He’s just getting started. | 他才刚刚开始 |
[25:01] | He’s going to town, Bobby, | 他要大展拳脚了 Bobby |
[25:02] | He’s got that look in his eye. | 他的眼神都变得不一样了 |
[25:04] | Did you ever tell my client | 你有没有告诉我的当事人 |
[25:05] | you want to be wealthy? | 你想做个有钱人 |
[25:06] | Doesn’t everybody? | 难道这不是每个人的想法吗 |
[25:07] | Did you ever say to him | 你有没有跟他说过 |
[25:09] | that you have to marry money? | 你要嫁个有钱人 |
[25:10] | Since you had two years junior college, | 因为你只上了两年大学 |
[25:12] | it was unlikely that you’d ever have the kind of career | 你不太可能通过自己的职业生涯 |
[25:14] | that would make you rich. | 让自己变得富有 |
[25:15] | Did you say something like that? | 你有没有说过这一类的话 |
[25:16] | I certainly never said that | 我肯定没有说过 |
[25:18] | I would marry somebody just for money. | 我会仅仅为了钱就嫁给别人 |
[25:19] | Did you say for you ever to be rich, | 你有没有说过要想变得有钱 |
[25:21] | you would have to marry into money? | 你只能嫁个有钱人 |
[25:23] | You’re taking that out of context. | 我当时说这些是有背景的 |
[25:24] | The question simply is did you say it? | 我的问题只是 你说过没有 |
[25:26] | Yes. I may have said that once. | 有 我或许是说过一次 |
[25:27] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[25:28] | By the way, this new boyfriend of yours… | 顺便问一句 你这个新的男朋友… |
[25:30] | We’re not together anymore. | 我们没有在一起了 |
[25:31] | Thank you. That wasn’t my question. | 谢谢 那不是我想问的 |
[25:33] | Was he from a wealthy family? | 他是来自一个富有的家庭吗 |
[25:35] | That wasn’t the reason I fell in love with him. | 那不是我爱上他的原因 |
[25:37] | I’ll take that as a yes. | 这么说你的回答是肯定的 |
[25:39] | Wealthy family. | 富有的家庭 |
[25:39] | I really have to object. | 我不得不提出反对 |
[25:41] | What does any of this have to do with the rape? | 这一切跟强奸有什么关系 |
[25:43] | I’ll get that | 如果你不打断我 |
[25:43] | if you let me. | 我很快就会证明有什么关系 |
[25:44] | Speed it up. | 快一点 |
[25:46] | You wanted to marry my client, | 你想跟我的当事人结婚 |
[25:48] | didn’t you, Ms. Reynolds? | 对不对 Reynolds小姐 |
[25:48] | There was a time I did. | 我有一段时间是这么想过 |
[25:50] | And you were frustrated over the whole intermarriage issue, | 结果你受不了异族通婚的这些麻烦 |
[25:52] | As you previously testified, | 正如你之前的证言所说 |
[25:54] | you two even fought about it, isn’t that right? | 你们俩甚至为此而争吵 是不是 |
[25:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[25:57] | And you said while this alleged rape was taking place, | 你说在这次所谓的强奸发生的时候 |
[25:59] | you don’t remember screaming. | 你不记得有没有尖叫过 |
[26:00] | Truth is, you didn’t scream, isn’t that right? | 事实上 你根本就没有叫 不是吗 |
[26:02] | I don’t remember screaming. | 我不记得有没有叫 |
[26:04] | That was my testimony. | 我之前是这么说的 |
[26:05] | Well, there were other people working in the building, | 当时大楼里还有其他人在工作 |
[26:08] | none of whom heard you scream. | 没有任何人听到你尖叫 |
[26:10] | It would be more probable than not that you didn’t scream, | 你没有尖叫的可能性要更大些 |
[26:12] | wouldn’t you agree? | 你同意吗 |
[26:13] | I suppose. | 我想是的 |
[26:14] | And you said that he had your hands pinned with his hands. | 你说他用双手按住了你的双手 |
[26:22] | How did he get himself inside of you? | 那他到底是怎么强奸你的呢 |
[26:24] | He then freed one of his hands to | 他后来松开了一只手去… |
[26:29] | I guess guide himself. | 去辅助他的动作 |
[26:32] | So you had a hand free? | 那么你有一只手可以自由活动? |
[26:33] | Well, he still had me kind of pinned with his shoulder. | 呃 他仍然用他的肩膀把我按在地上 |
[26:35] | His shoulder? | 他的肩膀? |
[26:36] | This is the first time I’m hearing of a shoulder. | 我这是第一次听到你说起肩膀 |
[26:38] | Your police statement, | 你在对警方的陈述中 |
[26:39] | the statement to the doctor, | 对医生的陈述中 |
[26:40] | even in your direct testimony, | 甚至在之前的证言中 |
[26:42] | you never made mention of a shoulder. | 你从来都没有提到过肩膀 |
[26:44] | He had me pinned using his hands, | 他先是用双手把我按住 |
[26:46] | then he released with one hand | 然后松开一只手 |
[26:48] | and push down with his shoulder. | 用肩膀把我按住 |
[26:50] | How did he get your underwear off? | 他怎么把你的内裤脱下来的 |
[26:53] | I wasn’t wearing underwear. | 我没有穿内裤 |
[26:56] | You weren’t wearing underwear. | 你没有穿内裤 |
[26:59] | Well, I, I had this rather thin dress | 呃 我 我穿的那件裙子很薄 |
[27:01] | and panty line show, and… | 内衣的轮廓会现出来 所以… |
[27:03] | You went there to break up with him | 你到他那里去提出分手 |
[27:04] | but you didn’t want your panty line to show? | 但是你不想让他看到你的内衣轮廓 |
[27:06] | Objection. | 反对 |
[27:06] | Withdrawn. | 收回 |
[27:07] | After you finished having sexual relations with my client… | 在你跟我的当事人的性行为结束之后… |
[27:09] | It was a rape. | 那是强奸 |
[27:10] | It wasn’t sexual relations. | 不是性行为 |
[27:12] | After it was over, | 在它结束之后 |
[27:13] | what did you do then? | 你做了什么 |
[27:14] | I went home. | 我回家了 |
[27:15] | You didn’ t run out of the room? | 你没有马上跑出办公室 |
[27:17] | ** the two of you talk? | 反而跟他交谈了一会 |
[27:19] | We talked, | 我们交谈了一会 |
[27:20] | I told him what he did was wrong. | 我跟他说他的做法是错的 |
[27:22] | That he raped me. | 说他强奸了我 |
[27:24] | And then I left. | 然后我就离开了 |
[27:25] | So you didn’t run out of the building? | 所以你并没有跑出那栋大楼 |
[27:26] | No. | 没有 |
[27:27] | And you went home? | 然后你回家了 |
[27:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[27:29] | Did you call the police? | 你报警了吗 |
[27:30] | Not at first. | 刚开始没有 |
[27:32] | Because I thought who is ever gonna believe me? | 因为我觉得 谁会相信我呢 |
[27:35] | My word against his. | 只有我们两个人的说法 |
[27:37] | Why wouldn’t you think your word | 你为什么觉得别人 |
[27:38] | would count for anything, Ms. Reynolds? | 不会相信你的说法呢 Reynolds小姐 |
[27:39] | Is there something wrong with your word? | 你的说法有什么问题吗 |
[27:41] | No, there isn’t. | 不 没有问题 |
[27:42] | Did you ever go a doctor for examination? | 你有没有到医院去做检查 |
[27:44] | Yes. | 有 |
[27:45] | He found any bruising on your wrists? | 医生在你的手腕上发现瘀伤没有 |
[27:48] | No, but he… | 没有 但是他… |
[27:49] | He found any bruising on your thighs | 你说我的当事人用膝盖分开你的大腿 |
[27:51] | where my client was supposedly pushed against you with his knee? | 医生在你的大腿上发现有瘀伤吗 |
[27:55] | No. I didn’t have any bruises there. | 没有 我的大腿上没有瘀伤 |
[27:58] | Did you leave any marks on rabbi Jacobs? | 你有没有在Jacobs拉比身上留下痕迹 |
[28:01] | Did I leave any marks? | 我有没有留下痕迹? |
[28:03] | Well, you had a hand free, | 是啊 你有一只手是自由的 |
[28:04] | did you scratch him or hit him, anything? | 你有没有抓他 打他 诸如此类 |
[28:06] | No. | 没有 |
[28:07] | You didn’t do any of those things? | 你没有采取任何这一类的动作? |
[28:09] | I was just trying to push him off. | 我只是努力想把他推开 |
[28:10] | Well, this wasn’t a rape, was it, Ms. Reynolds? | 哦 这不是强奸 对吧 Reynolds小姐 |
[28:12] | Yes, it was. | 不对 是强奸 |
[28:12] | You were angry at my client | 因为我的当事人不愿意跟你结婚 |
[28:14] | for refusing to consider marry you, weren’t you? | 所以你非常愤怒 是不是 |
[28:15] | As I said, we fought some… | 我说过了 我们有时候争吵… |
[28:17] | This is pay back time, | 你用这种方式来报复 |
[28:18] | isn’t it, Ms. Reynolds? | 是不是 Reynolds小姐 |
[28:18] | Objection. | 反对 |
[28:19] | Have you hired some attorney | 你是不是聘请了律师 |
[28:21] | to sue both the rabbi and the temple? | 来起诉拉比和教会 |
[28:22] | Objection. | 反对 |
[28:23] | Goes to motive. | 与动机有关 |
[28:24] | I’ll allow it. | 我允许发问 |
[28:26] | Is that your attorney sitting right there, Ms. Reynolds? | 你的律师是不是就坐在那里 Reynolds小姐 |
[28:28] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:28] | He is representing you in a lawsuit against the temple. | 他在代理你起诉教会 |
[28:31] | You know this isn’t about money. | 你知道我们不是为了钱 |
[28:33] | Move to strike, none responsive. | 请求不予记录 答非所问 |
[28:34] | Sustained. | 反对有效 |
[28:35] | Did you once date a man | 你是否曾经跟一个叫 |
[28:36] | named Michael Anderson? | Michael Anderson的人约会过 |
[28:38] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:38] | You ended that relationship? | 后来你决定结束这段关系 |
[28:40] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:40] | Was one of the reasons is his lack of career ambition? | 原因之一是不是因为他缺乏事业心 |
[28:43] | I told him that, yes, as indeed… | 我是这么跟他说的 是的 但事实上… |
[28:44] | Thank you, you’ve answered the question. | 谢谢 你已经回答了我的问题 |
[28:46] | There were a lot of different reasons… | 有很多各种各样的原因… |
[28:47] | You’ve answered the question. | 你已经回答了我的问题 |
[28:50] | Is this a piciture of you in your high school year book? | 这是不是你的高中毕业纪念册里的照片 |
[28:52] | Yes. | 是的 |
[28:53] | Could you read the caption | 你可不可以读一下 |
[28:54] | under life goals? | “人生目标”下方的文字 |
[28:57] | To be rich, to be happy, to travel. | 要有钱 要幸福 要去旅行 |
[29:01] | Do you have a friend by the name of Susan Levene? | 你是不是有一个叫Susan Levene的朋友 |
[29:04] | Yes. | 有 |
[29:04] | In fact, you told her about your relationship | 事实上 你把你跟Jacobs拉比之间的事 |
[29:07] | with rabbi Jacobs, didn’t you? | 告诉了她 对不对 |
[29:09] | Oh, I did tell her at the very begining, I forgot it. | 哦 刚开始的时候我是跟她说过 我忘了 |
[29:14] | It was under another context, | 当时是在另一个场合下 |
[29:15] | it was when we started seeing… | 当时我们刚刚开始… |
[29:16] | So you did tell somebody else about it? | 这么说 你确实告诉过其他人 |
[29:19] | That previous statement under oath, that was a lie? | 你之前说没有告诉过别人 是在撒谎吗 |
[29:21] | It was a mistake. | 是我记错了 |
[29:22] | Got it, I guess mistakes happen. | 明白了 我想有时候难免记错 |
[29:24] | Is that the only mistake | 到目前为止 |
[29:26] | so far in your testimony? | 这是你的证词中唯一的错误吗 |
[29:27] | Yes. | 是的 |
[29:28] | Lucky I caught it, I guess. | 算我运气好 被我发现了 |
[29:32] | I’m done for now. | 暂时没有问题了 |
[29:41] | Ms. Reynolds, | Reynolds小姐 |
[29:42] | when you went to the doctor, | 当你去看医生的时候 |
[29:43] | did he find any bruising? | 他有没有发现任何瘀伤 |
[29:45] | Yes, he found some vaginal bruising. | 有 他发现了有阴道瘀伤 |
[29:48] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[29:57] | Did the doctor find that bruising | 医生是否认为这种瘀伤 |
[29:58] | to be conclusive of none consentual intercourse? | 可以确切地表明是非自愿性交造成的 |
[30:03] | No. | 没有 |
[30:04] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[30:10] | Your honor, | 法官阁下 |
[30:11] | the commonwealth would like to call one more witness | 控方申请再传唤一位证人 |
[30:14] | who is not on our list. | 这位证人没在我们的证人名单上 |
[30:15] | Objection. | 反对 |
[30:21] | Sheala Keenan Sheala Keenan, | |
[30:23] | three years ago she was raped by rabbi jacobs. | 三年前 她被Jacobs拉比强奸了 |
[30:26] | There was an out of court settlement | 他们达成了庭外和解 |
[30:28] | coupled with an agreement for her to keep silent. | 并签署了协议 要求她保持沉默 |
[30:31] | I would like to call her | 我想传唤她出庭作证 |
[30:32] | to rehabilitate Ms. Reynolds’s testimony. | 支持Reynolds小姐的证言 |
[30:34] | Mr. Young. | Young先生 |
[30:40] | Mr. Young. | Young先生 |
[30:42] | Uh, your, your honor, | 呃 法 法官阁下 |
[30:45] | Prior bad acts in a criminal case | 以往的不良行为在 |
[30:47] | is not even close to be admissible. | 刑事诉讼中根本不能作为证据 |
[30:48] | I’ll be offering to show pattern… | 我是要用这个证据来证明一贯的行为… |
[30:50] | What pattern? Two? | 什么一贯的行为 两次? |
[30:51] | Even if two made a pattern, this would… | 即便两次算是一贯的行为 这样… |
[30:53] | May I finish? | 让我说完行不 |
[30:53] | We don’t need to hear you finish. | 我们没必要听你说完 |
[30:55] | That witness would be so prejudicial… | 这个证人会导致明显的偏见… |
[30:56] | I understand you don’t like this, | 我知道你不喜欢这么做 |
[30:58] | but that does not mean… | 但这并不意味着… |
[30:59] | I don’t like it either, Mr. Bullock. | 我也不喜欢这么做 Bullock先生 |
[31:01] | The only thing you’d accomplish | 你让这位证人来出庭作证 |
[31:02] | by bringing in that witness | 唯一的效果 |
[31:03] | is a guaranteed appeal. | 只是给了他们上诉的机会 |
[31:05] | Even if you got a conviction, | 即便这一次判决罪名成立 |
[31:06] | it’d just be overturned. | 它必定会被上诉法院推翻 |
[31:07] | Not nesessarily, if we limit the scope of the crime… | 不一定 如果我们把控罪的范围限制在… |
[31:09] | Question is, no chance. | 问题在于 我不同意 |
[31:12] | Is that it? | 还有其他问题吗 |
[31:16] | Good. | 很好 |
[31:17] | We close tomorrow afternoo. | 明天下午做结案陈词 |
[31:28] | You won’t going to tell me that little detail? | 你不准备告诉我这个小小的细节吗 |
[31:29] | Presuming to the court settlement, | 根据我们达成的和解协议 |
[31:31] | she is not allowed to speak to anybody…. | 她不能向任何人透露… |
[31:32] | You were allowed to tell me, | 但是你可以告诉我 |
[31:33] | you left that out? | 你把这一部分保留下来了? |
[31:34] | I didn’ t rape her either. | 我同样没有强奸她 |
[31:36] | Things just got out of control. | 只是事情的局面变得不好控制 |
[31:37] | How much did you pay this Keenan woman? | 你付了这个叫Keenan的女人多少钱 |
[31:39] | I’m not sure. | 我不清楚 |
[31:41] | You’re not sure? | 你不清楚? |
[31:42] | The Synagogue handled it. | 是犹太教会处理的 |
[31:45] | Next on the agenda. | 下一个议题 |
[31:47] | I guess I’m naive after all, Mr. Louis. | 我想我确实是太天真了 Louis先生 |
[31:50] | I didn’t think it was board business | 我还真不知道委员会的职责 |
[31:51] | to buy off rape victimes. | 就是收买强奸受害人 |
[31:53] | How deep did that fund go, Mr. Louis. | 你这份基金到底有多雄厚 Louis先生 |
[31:54] | -Now, hold on. -No, you hold on. | -慢着 -不 你慢着 |
[31:56] | I’m sure he is a good rabbi, | 我相信他是个好拉比 |
[31:58] | ** generates good cash flow. | 可以带来丰厚的筹款 |
[32:00] | You gotta use the best wood for you **, | 让你们可以使用最好的材料 |
[32:02] | build the fanciest temple in town. | 建造全市最漂亮的教堂 |
[32:04] | And when he commits a crime or two, | 当他犯了一两桩罪行的时候 |
[32:06] | you can pay ** dollar to get him off, | 你们就花钱让他脱身 |
[32:07] | but here is what you don’t know. | 但是你们不知道的地方在于 |
[32:09] | -Mr. Young. -Ssh. | -Young先生 -嘘 |
[32:10] | I’m talking now. | 让我把话说完 |
[32:13] | ** here, you tell me the truth. | 现在 你告诉我实情 |
[32:16] | You tell me everything you think I might wanna know, | 把你认为我可能需要知道的一切都告诉我 |
[32:18] | you hide facts from me, I quit. | 你向我隐瞒事实 我就退出辩护 |
[32:20] | You got that? | 听懂了吗 |
[32:22] | You understand me? | 你听明白了吗 |
[32:25] | Are you finished? | 说完没有 |
[32:27] | I’m an attorney myself, Mr. Young, | 我自己也是个律师 Young先生 |
[32:29] | so please don’t lecture me. | 所以用不着对我说教 |
[32:31] | When you take on case, | 当你接下一个案子 |
[32:32] | you take on the duty. | 你就有一份责任 |
[32:34] | You have no right **. | 你没有权利提出要求 |
[32:36] | Your client has no obligation to tell you anything. | 你的当事人没有义务告诉你任何事情 |
[32:39] | What he decides to tell you is his choice alone. | 告诉你哪些事情 完全取决于他的决定 |
[32:41] | You take what he gives you, | 你只管接受他告诉你的事情 |
[32:42] | and you make the best of it. | 并在此基础上尽你所能 |
[32:43] | We gave you your hand, Mr. Young. | 该说的我们都已经说了 Young先生 |
[32:44] | You played it very nice. | 你表现得非常出色 |
[32:46] | And don’t bargin it threatening to quit, | 而且你也别威胁退出 |
[32:47] | because the judge will never let you out. | 因为法官不可能允许你退出的 |
[32:49] | I can quit just the same | 我可以强行退出 |
[32:50] | and take the comtempt finding. | 让法官判我藐视法庭好了 |
[32:51] | It’s not your character to quit. | 那不是你的性格 |
[32:55] | You don’t think we’ve bothered to check you out? | 你以为我们没有对你做过一点调查吗 |
[32:58] | Now, please, attend your cloing argument. | 现在 请你回去准备你的结案陈词 |
[33:02] | From where I sat, | 在我看来 |
[33:03] | this whole trial comes down to summations, | 整个案子的关键在于结案陈词 |
[33:05] | and I guarantee you, | 而且我敢保证 |
[33:06] | Kevin Bullock’s working on his. | Kevin Bullock正在准备着呢 |
[33:13] | Mr. Young. | Young先生 |
[33:19] | When this trial began, | 当这个案子刚刚开始的时候 |
[33:21] | I think a lot of people wanted to believe Terri Reynolds | 我想很多人都愿意相信Terri Reynolds |
[33:23] | for two reasons. | 原因有两点 |
[33:24] | First, it’s become kind of a pastime in this country | 首先 看着别人从高位摔下来 |
[33:28] | to watch people fall from high places. | 简直成了这个国家的一项娱乐活动 |
[33:30] | It’s almost as if ** expected ** media goes, | 就好像是万众期待似的 |
[33:34] | and here, you have one of the most respected, | 在本案中 被告是整个新英格兰地区 |
[33:37] | rabbis in New England. | 最受人尊敬的拉比 |
[33:39] | A rabbi’s rabbi, if you will. | 可以说是拉比中的拉比 |
[33:41] | For him to be accused of rape, | 当他被指控强奸罪 |
[33:43] | there is just something delicious about that. | 人们都觉得兴奋刺激 |
[33:46] | Isn’t it? | 不是吗 |
[33:48] | Second, there is something so seemingly innocent | 第二 在Terri Reynolds身上 |
[33:54] | about Terri Reynolds and good. | 有一种如此单纯善良的气息 |
[33:56] | And good people don’t make up lies like this. | 而善良的人不会编造这样的谎言 |
[33:59] | We all want to believe that, I want to believe it. | 我们都想相信她 我也想相信她 |
[34:01] | She could be your daughter, your sister, | 她可能是你的女儿 你的妹妹 |
[34:03] | she’s just not gonna make something like this up. | 她不可能会编造这样的事情出来 |
[34:05] | Well, I’m not gonna stand up here | 嗯 我不会站在这里 |
[34:07] | and tell you I know Terri Reynolds. | 跟你们说我了解Terri Reynolds |
[34:09] | I don’t. | 我不了解 |
[34:10] | Neither does the district attorney. | 地区检察官也不了解 |
[34:12] | He doesn’t know her. | 他不认识她 |
[34:13] | Nor do any of you. | 你们也不认识她 |
[34:15] | All your get to do here | 你们在这里能够做的 |
[34:16] | is weigh her credibility, | 只是衡量她的可信度 |
[34:18] | And here is what the evidence tells you about that, | 那么从证据来看 她的可信度是怎样的呢 |
[34:20] | and by evidence, I mean her very own testimony. | 我所说的证据 指的是她自己的证言 |
[34:24] | She is a woman who admittedly wants to be wealthy. | 早在她的高中时代 |
[34:28] | Going all the way back to high school | 她就是一个公开承认想成为有钱人的女人 |
[34:29] | where she listed as a life goal to be rich. | 她把有钱当成自己的人生目标 |
[34:32] | She is a woman who wanted to marry my client. | 她是一个想跟我的当事人结婚的女人 |
[34:35] | testified she was angry with him. | 她作证说对他非常愤怒 |
[34:36] | Well, one way to punish him | 有一个办法可以报复他 |
[34:38] | and to get rich at the same time, | 同时又能让自己变得有钱 |
[34:40] | cry rape. | 那就是指控强奸 |
[34:40] | She’s already got the civil attorny in place. | 她已经找好了民事诉讼的律师 |
[34:43] | A criminal conviction here, | 在本案中判决罪名成立 |
[34:46] | that’s money in the bank, isn’t it? | 相当于她在银行有了一大笔存款 不是吗 |
[34:49] | The evidence on her truthfulness, | 关于她是否诚实的证据 |
[34:51] | she is in love with one man, | 她爱上了另一个男人 |
[34:53] | but doesn’t tell him, | 但是并没有跟他说 |
[34:54] | by the way, I’m seeing somebody else. | 顺便说说 我在跟另一个人约会 |
[34:56] | She testified that she didn’t tell anybody | 她作证说对于和Jacobs拉比交往这件事 |
[34:59] | about her relationship with rabbi Jacobs. | 自己没有告诉过任何人 |
[35:01] | And then we confront her with the truth | 然后当我们指出来她曾经 |
[35:03] | about telling her friend, | 告诉过自己的朋友 |
[35:04] | she says, oh yeah, forgot about that. | 她说 哦 是啊 我搞忘了 |
[35:06] | Is she truthful? I don’t know. | 她诚实吗 我不知道 |
[35:08] | Like I said, I don’t know her. | 我刚才说过 我不了解她 |
[35:10] | Neither do any of you. | 你们也不了解她 |
[35:14] | What about the facts of the case itself? | 而案件的事实本身又如何呢 |
[35:17] | She’s been raped, she doesn’t scream. | 她被强奸了 但是她没有尖叫 |
[35:20] | No screamings, no bruises, | 没有尖叫 没有瘀伤 |
[35:22] | no calling the police, no fleeing the scene. | 没有报警 没有急忙逃离现场 |
[35:24] | Does this sound like a rape to you? | 你们觉得这像是强奸吗 |
[35:26] | Would she make it after as a scheme just to get rich. | 她是不是事后编造出来想从中挣点钱 |
[35:30] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[35:32] | As I said, a parts of us wants to believe her, | 我刚才说过 我们某种程度上希望相信她 |
[35:35] | but when we examine the facts, can we? | 但是当我们审查了案件事实之后 能相信她吗 |
[35:37] | I don’t know. I don’t know her. | 我不知道 我不了解她 |
[35:41] | In fact, if there is one uncontroverted truth | 事实上 如果说有什么事情是我们 |
[35:44] | we can be certain about, | 无可争议地可以确信的 |
[35:46] | is that none of us here knows her. | 那就是我们当中没有人了解她 |
[35:50] | That we know. | 这是我们知道的 |
[35:56] | That | 这一点 |
[35:57] | and that she wants to be rich. | 以及她想变得有钱 |
[36:10] | It’s not easy being a rape victim these days. | 如今作为强奸案的受害人非常不容易 |
[36:14] | because the trial system, | 因为我们的审判体系 |
[36:17] | it’s no longer about arriving at the truth. | 已经不关心还原案件事实了 |
[36:20] | Believe it or not, that used to be the idea. | 不管你们相不相信 那曾经是审判的核心 |
[36:24] | It’s about winning and losing. | 如今只关心输赢 |
[36:27] | Now I’m here to win, I admit it. | 我在这里是想赢 我承认 |
[36:29] | And so is the defense counsel. | 辩护律师也一样 |
[36:32] | Winning means that if you don’t have the facts, | 要想赢 那就意味着如果你没有证据 |
[36:37] | you attack the one who does. | 你就攻击有证据的人 |
[36:40] | This is why Mr. Young has focused himself | 所以Young先生会集中精力 |
[36:42] | on getting Terri Reynolds. | 对付Terri Reynolds |
[36:44] | He can’t offer any testimonial or physical evidence | 他无法提供任何人证或物证 |
[36:48] | to dispute what she says | 来反驳她的说法 |
[36:50] | so he’ll just get her. | 所以他就对付她 |
[36:54] | We’re talking about a rape, ladies and gentlemen, | 我们现在审理的是强奸案 女士们先生们 |
[36:57] | and he is ** up her high school year book. | 结果他翻出了她的高中毕业纪念册 |
[37:00] | We’re talking about a man physically forcing himself | 我们现在讨论的是一个男人强行跟一个 |
[37:05] | inside a young woman | 年轻的女子发生性关系 |
[37:07] | and he’s serving up her career ambitions? | 结果他抓住她的事业进取心不放 |
[37:10] | He has no defense, | 他没有辩护理由 |
[37:13] | he put on no defense, | 他没有提出辩护理由 |
[37:15] | he chose instead to rape her again in this courtroom, | 相反 他选择在法庭上再次强奸她 |
[37:19] | and he is asking you to be a part of it. | 而且他要你们加入他一道 |
[37:21] | Now this gotta stop. | 这一切必须结束 |
[37:24] | She was raped, for god’s sake. | 她被强奸了 老天爷 |
[37:27] | He pinned her to the ground, | 他把她按在地上 |
[37:29] | and performed a wild active violence against her. | 实施了野蛮的暴力行为 |
[37:33] | That is her testimony | 这是她的证词 |
[37:35] | and it goes uncontradicted. | 而他们没有提出任何反驳 |
[37:37] | You listen to her. | 你们听了她的证言 |
[37:39] | Did she sound like a liar? | 你们觉得她是个说谎的人吗 |
[37:43] | Did she seem like someone who is only looking for money? | 你们觉得她像个一心只想要钱的人吗 |
[37:48] | Defense counsel is right about one thing, | 辩护律师有一件事情说对了 |
[37:52] | we offer only her word. | 我们只提供了她的证言 |
[37:56] | But it’s a good word, ladies and gentlemen. | 但是她的证言很可靠 女士们先生们 |
[37:58] | They put up nothing to contradict it. | 他们没有提出任何东西来反驳 |
[38:01] | because she was raped. | 因为她确实被强奸了 |
[38:08] | It happened. | 这是事实 |
[38:14] | How dare he put her on trial in this room? | 我们怎么能在法庭上把她当成被告呢 |
[38:19] | Maybe the time has come to put some of these kinds of | 也许现在是时候对这些辩护策略 |
[38:22] | defense tactics on trial. | 做出反思了 |
[38:29] | Three times he did it, three | 他说了三次 三次 |
[38:31] | I did no such thing. | 我没有 |
[38:32] | Oh, come on, | 哦 拜托 |
[38:33] | He says we can’t offer testimonial evidence | 他说我们提供不了人证 |
[38:35] | He says the rapist gets to sit quietly in his chair, | 他说强奸犯能够安然地坐在自己的座位上 |
[38:37] | He says we put on no defense. | 他说我们没有提出证据 |
[38:38] | You didn’t. | 你们的确没有啊 |
[38:39] | He was commenting on | 他是在对被告不出庭作证 |
[38:40] | the defendant not testify | 这一事实发表意见 |
[38:41] | which he is not allow to do | 他不能这么做 |
[38:42] | I’m allowed to say you put on no defense. | 我有权说你没有提出任何证据 |
[38:44] | -All right. -It’s grounds for mistrial. | -行了 -这已经可以导致无效审判了 |
[38:47] | You want a mistrial? | 你想要无效审判吗 |
[38:48] | I want a stronger instruction | 你给陪审团的指示还不够明确 |
[38:50] | than the one you gave. | 我希望你更明确一点 |
[38:50] | Come on, I gave an instruction, | 拜托 我已经给陪审团做了指示 |
[38:52] | if I gave it any stronger, | 如果我说得再明确一点 |
[38:54] | I’d be hanging out a flag. | 那就等于是直接告诉他们怎么判了 |
[38:55] | Attacking me in your closing, | 在结案陈词的时候攻击我 |
[38:57] | what the hell was that? | 你到底是怎么回事 |
[38:58] | What the hell gave you the right the claim | 你凭什么宣称你对我 |
[38:59] | your moral superiority over me? | 有道德上的优越感 |
[39:01] | Who gave you that? | 你凭什么 |
[39:01] | What’re you talking about? | 你说什么呢 |
[39:02] | You know damn well what I’m talking about. | 你知道我在说什么 |
[39:04] | Counsel. I think you’re overreacting here. | 律师 我觉得你反应过度了 |
[39:08] | Maybe you should take a walk around the building | 或许你应该出去散散步 |
[39:09] | just to sort out what it is that gets you this angry. | 想一想你究竟为什么火气这么大 |
[39:12] | I know what got me this angry. | 我知道我为什么火气这么大 |
[39:13] | He argued that my client | 他拿我的当事人没有出庭作证 |
[39:15] | didn’t testify. | 这件事来做文章 |
[39:16] | He came close to doing that, | 他控制了分寸 没有这么做 |
[39:17] | I don’t believe he crossed the line. | 我认为他没有越线的行为 |
[39:19] | I believe I protected you | 我认为我在给陪审团的指示中 |
[39:20] | with an instruction. | 帮你消除了不利影响 |
[39:21] | You made your objection on the record, | 你的反对意见已经记录在案 |
[39:24] | you preserved it for appeal. | 你保留了上诉的权利 |
[39:26] | What else are you asking for? | 你还要怎么样 |
[39:31] | Jury has a verdict. | 陪审团做出裁决了 |
[39:52] | Will the defedant please rise. | 请被告起立 |
[39:56] | Madam fourperson, | 首席陪审员女士 |
[39:57] | you’ve reached a unanimous verdict? | 你们达成一致的裁决了吗 |
[39:58] | Yes, we have, your honor. | 是的 法官阁下 |
[40:00] | What say you? | 请宣布判决 |
[40:03] | In the matter of the Commonwealth vs. Richard Jacobs, | 马萨诸塞州诉Richard Jacobs |
[40:06] | on the charge of aggravated rape, | 关于加重的强奸罪的指控 |
[40:09] | we find the defendant Richard Jacobs, | 我们判决被告Richard Jacobs |
[40:13] | not guilty. | 无罪 |
[40:14] | Oh, dear god. | 哦 天哪 |
[40:25] | Thank you, Mr. Young, thank you. | 谢谢 Young先生 谢谢 |
[40:29] | Don’t date, rabbi. | 不要再约会了 拉比 |
[40:39] | I was coming for you, | 我要揍你 |
[40:41] | not you, not you, for you. | 不是你 不是你 是你 |
[41:08] | Do you think that money was motivated ** for her? | 你觉得她的动机是想要钱吗 |
[41:11] | The jury reached it’s decision, | 陪审团已经做出了裁决 |
[41:12] | we’re satisified justice… | 我们很欣慰地看到正义… |
[41:13] | There’s some speculation that she was trying to get pregnant, | 有人猜测说她曾经企图怀孕 |
[41:15] | do you have an opinion on that? | 对此你有何看法 |
[41:16] | No. | 没有 |
[41:17] | -Mr. Young… -Please, please. | -Young先生 -请让一下 请让一下 |
[41:20] | Get out of my way, | 别挡着我的路 |
[41:22] | We have no comment… | 我们无可奉告 |
[41:25] | we have no comment. | 我们无可奉告 |
[41:36] | Thanks. | 谢谢 |
[41:38] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[41:39] | Congratulations, I guess. | 我应该祝贺你 |
[41:43] | What are you doing here, Sharon? | 你来做什么 Sharon |
[41:45] | Trying to get custody again or something? | 又想争夺抚养权还是什么的 |
[41:48] | I thought you might want some company. | 我想你可能需要有人陪 |
[41:50] | Dinner maybe. | 或许一起吃个饭 |
[41:57] | Yeah. That would be good. | 嗯 那很好 |