时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:01] | It’s the glasses. | 重点是眼镜 |
[00:02] | You can’t remember anybody handing you eyeglasses or… | 你想不起来谁给你递过眼镜吗 |
[00:05] | You’ve been asking me that for three days, Lindsay. | Lindsay 你都问了我这个问题三天了 |
[00:07] | The problem is the jury will be asking you. | 问题是陪审团会问这个问题 |
[00:09] | If we can’t account how your fingerprints ended up at the house. | 我们现在无法解释你的指纹如何出现在那个屋子里 |
[00:13] | You don’t think I’d love to account for it? | 你以为我不想有个解释吗 |
[00:14] | Maybe a woman spilled her purse; | 可能有人溅湿她的包包 |
[00:16] | Maybe you helped pick up the contents, | 可能你帮她捡起她的隐形眼镜 |
[00:18] | or someone left glasses on your desk. | 或者有人把眼镜落在你桌上了 |
[00:20] | All possible, but we’re going back almost a year. | 全部都有可能 可是 我们现在说的是一年前的事了 |
[00:24] | If it happened, I just don’t remember it. | 如果真有这样的事 我真的记不起来了 |
[00:30] | Well, at least he is honest. | 至少他在说实话 |
[00:31] | He’s also dead. | 他也死定了 |
[00:33] | We can explain why the body was in his car trunk, maybe, | 我们或者能够解释尸体出现在他车箱的原因 |
[00:35] | even that’s a long shot. | 这也够渺茫了 |
[00:37] | But those glasses were found in a locked desk. | 但那眼镜是在锁好的桌子里面的 |
[00:40] | I say we go with Kingman, the husband. | 我提议我们从Kingman下手 那个丈夫 |
[00:44] | We can’t accuse the widower. | 我们不能指控一个丧妻之人啊 |
[00:45] | We’ll be monsters. | 我们都成什么人了 |
[00:47] | There’s rumors he was having some affairs. | 有谣言说他有外遇 |
[00:49] | Old rumors which we can’t confirm. | 很久以前的谣言 我们也无法证实 |
[00:50] | He could’ve easily discovered the emails, traced them to Dennis. | 丈夫很容易就能发现那些邮件 然后找到Dennis |
[00:54] | He has an alibi, how many times… | 他有不在场证明 还要说多少遍 |
[00:56] | Maybe he hired somebody. | 可能他花钱买的凶手 |
[00:57] | It’s too risky to go with that, if we fall on our face. | 如果这个说法不成立 我们会失败得很惨 |
[01:00] | Is there anybody here pretending we’re not desperate? | 你们都在假装我们的处境很顺利吗 |
[01:02] | The trial starts in ten hours. | 十小时候就要开庭审判了 |
[01:04] | We’ve got nothing. | 而我们完全一点都没有准备好 |
[01:05] | If our guy didn’t do it, which is what we all want to believe, | 如果我们客户真的是无辜 我们也很想如此相信他 |
[01:09] | the most likely candidate is the husband. | 最有可能的凶手是这个丈夫 |
[01:12] | I say we go with plan B. | 我提议我们用B计划 |
[01:14] | You just love plan B. | – 你就这么喜欢B计划 每次一有机会 |
[01:16] | -It’s our only option, it’s not that I like… -Every time you get a chance, you’d go plan B. | 你就用 – 这是我们唯一的选择 不是我喜欢 |
[01:18] | Do you have any idea what the judge will do to us | 如果我们指控一个鳏夫 |
[01:20] | if we accuse the widower? | 你能想象那个法官会对我们怎么样吗 |
[01:21] | Lindsay, look at that board, | Lindsay 你看看他 |
[01:23] | body, murder weapon, fingerprints. | 尸体 凶器 |
[01:26] | How does our client look to you? | 指纹 你是怎么看我们客户的 |
[01:29] | Guilty. | 有罪 |
[01:30] | That’s how he looks to the world. | 有罪 全世界也是这么认为的 |
[01:32] | Maybe because he is. | 可能因为他的确有罪 |
[01:33] | And if he’s not, the next best choice is the husband. | 如果他是无罪 第二最有可能是凶手的人就是那个丈夫 |
[01:38] | Plan B. no question. | 用B计划吧 不用再想了 |
[02:34] | It’s in the Adal Steem file under prior bad acts, | 在A Dos文档里 过往不良行为下 |
[02:37] | says the memorandum, | 有个备忘录的案件列表 |
[02:38] | a list of cases which I need you to run through westlaw | 我需要你调查里面所有案件 |
[02:40] | and fax me anything you get. | 任何发现都传真给我 |
[02:42] | You want me to draft a motion? | 你需要我起草动议吗 |
[02:43] | NO, just the research, we’ll bring the motion at the trial. | 不 只需调查 我们会在庭上起草动议 |
[02:45] | And, Rebecca, we need it today. | 还有 Rebecca 我们今天就要 |
[02:47] | All right, listen up. | 好的 大家注意 |
[02:51] | I’ll open, which will be short; | 我会做短暂的开场发言 |
[02:53] | I don’t want to tip our strategy. | 我不想提到我们的辩护策略 |
[02:54] | Elleanor Ellenor, the photographer is up first. | |
[02:56] | He’s yours. | 摄影师首先上证人席 你负责他 |
[02:57] | Next comes the detective, Jimmy? | 然后是那个警官 |
[02:59] | I’m ready. | – 我准备好了 – 他是关键 |
[03:00] | He is the key. | 他懒惰成性 众人皆知 你一定要强调这点 |
[03:01] | His reputation for being lazy, you have to play that up. | 他懒惰成性 众人皆知 你一定要强调这点 |
[03:03] | You can’t look like he’ve got a grudge. | 但你不能表现得和他有仇一样 |
[03:05] | I’m gonna be all sweet, right up until I kill him. | 在我亮剑之前 我都会温柔对待他的 |
[03:07] | Bobby, you’ve got Brickman, | Bobby 你负责Brickman |
[03:08] | the school teacher if we need him. | 有必要的话 还有那个老师 还有Dennis |
[03:10] | And Dennis, you’’ll also close. | 你还要做总结陈词 |
[03:12] | Ellenor, you’ve got the nun on cross, if they call her, | 如果他们让姐姐上证人席 |
[03:14] | you’ll also take the pathologist. | 你要盘问她 你还负责病理学家 |
[03:15] | I’ve got Dennis’s wife. | 我负责Dennis的妻子 |
[03:17] | What have we left out? | 还有什么我忘了 |
[03:19] | The judge. | – 法官 – 没错 我们不能激怒他 |
[03:20] | Right. We do not antagonize him. | – 法官 – 没错 我们不能激怒他 |
[03:21] | We do not interrupt him. | 我们不能打断他说话 |
[03:23] | Don’t worry. | 不要担心 |
[03:25] | Ok. Again, soft plan B. | 好的 再说一遍 缓和的B计划 |
[03:27] | Everything we do in that room | 在庭上所做的一切都是为了建立合理怀疑 |
[03:29] | is to set up reasonable doubt, period. | |
[03:31] | We’re not going into convict Mr. Kingman, | 这就够了 我们不是要判Kingman的罪 |
[03:32] | we just need to preserve the question, | 我们只需提出疑问 |
[03:34] | it’s all about setting up Bobby’s closing. | 一切都是为了Bobby的总结陈词 |
[03:35] | Nobody pushes. We stay contained. | 不要过于强硬 我们要保持冷静 |
[03:38] | If there’s a disagreement in the room, | 如果出现争议 我也在庭上 |
[03:39] | I make the call. I’m first chair. | 我是主导律师 |
[03:41] | Scream at me in the corridor if you want, | 你们怎么向我吼都可以 |
[03:43] | but in the room, don’t argue. | 但是在庭上 不要和其他人争吵 |
[03:47] | Any questions? | 还有问题吗 |
[03:48] | Can I go to the beach? | – 我可以去海滩吗 |
[03:49] | No. | – 不可以 |
[03:51] | You are the thirteenth juror. | 你是我们的第十三位陪审员 |
[03:52] | I want you keeping score. | 我要你在庭上听着 |
[03:54] | Ok, let’s pack up. | 好的 我们收拾出发吧 |
[03:57] | One more thing, | 最后再说一件事 |
[03:59] | I know you all flew out here to support me. | 我知道你们都飞到这里支持我 |
[04:02] | And I’m grateful. | 我很感激 |
[04:04] | But he is innocent. | 但他真的是无辜的 |
[04:06] | I realize you may not necessarily believe that, | 我知道你们不一定相信他 |
[04:08] | but I know it. | 但我确信他是无辜的 |
[04:10] | And I need you to trust that I know it. | 我需要你们相信我的这份信念 |
[04:16] | Let’s go. | 出发吧 |
[04:20] | With this hammer, | 他用这个锤子反复重击她的头部 |
[04:21] | he repeatedly, struck her in the head, | |
[04:24] | brutally killing her. | 凶残地杀害了她 |
[04:26] | He then stuffed her body in the trunk of his car, | 然后把尸体藏在他的车箱里 |
[04:29] | and buried this weapon in his garage. | 把这个凶器藏在车库里 |
[04:31] | We’ll show you email correspondence between the victim and the defendant. | 我们将会向你们展示被告与受害人的通信 |
[04:36] | Correspondence which is sexual, even violent. | 通信内容与性事相关 甚至与暴力相关 |
[04:41] | We’ll introduce evidence | 我们将引入证据 |
[04:43] | that establishes the defendant’s presence in the victim’s house. | 证明被告曾出现在受害人的屋子里 |
[04:49] | And did anyone actually see Dennis mills swing this hammer? | 至于有没有人看到Dennis Mills使用这个锤子呢 |
[04:53] | Only Stacy Kingman. | 只有Stacy Kingman了 |
[04:56] | But she didn’t live to tell you about it. | 但是她已经死了 |
[04:59] | There’s a reason the district attorney | 检方把这些照片放在这里让你们看 |
[05:01] | put these posters up here for you to see. | 是有原因的 |
[05:03] | A reason he waves the murder weapon in front of your faces. | 在你们面前挥舞锤子也是有原因的 |
[05:07] | He wants you to be horrified. | 他想要你们被吓到 |
[05:10] | He wants your emotion. | 他想要你们心有所动 |
[05:11] | He needs it. Why? | 为什么呢 |
[05:13] | Because he can’t get a conviction on the facts alone. | 因为他无法只依靠现有事实来定罪 |
[05:16] | Yes. Dennis Mills had a relationship with Stacy Kingman on the internet. | 没错 Dennis Mills和Stacy Kingman在网络上有交往 |
[05:20] | They had a sexual Walter Mitty’s affair, communicating by email, | 他们的关系是与性有关 来往方式只通过邮件 |
[05:25] | but they never met. | 但他们从未见过面 |
[05:27] | Somebody discovered these email correspondence | 有人发现了这些邮件 |
[05:30] | and seized upon it as an opportunity to kill Stacy Kingman | 看到了杀害Stacy Kingman的机会 |
[05:33] | and framed Dennis Mills. | 然后嫁祸给Dennis Mills |
[05:34] | Somebody else swung that hammer, | 是其他人抡起了那个锤子 |
[05:36] | put the body in my client’s trunk, | 把尸体放到我客户的车厢里 |
[05:38] | hid the weapon in his garage. | 把凶器藏到他的车库里 |
[05:41] | I’m not gonna tell you to look away from these pictures. | 我不会叫你们无视这些照片 |
[05:45] | They are horrifing. | 这些照片的确很可怕 |
[05:47] | I won’t pretend this thing wasn’t used to bash in a woman’s skull. | 我不会假装这个东西没有用来捶打一个女人的头颅 |
[05:52] | It was. | 事情的确发生了 |
[05:54] | But not by Dennis Mills. | 但不是Dennis Mills做的 |
[05:56] | Dennis Mills has been framed for a crime he didn’t commit. | Dennis Mills被嫁祸了莫须有的罪名 |
[06:02] | As you can see, they’re right next to each other. | 正如你们所见 他们就站在对方旁边 |
[06:04] | Mr. Rydell, why did you take this picture? | Rydell先生 你为什么拍下这张照片 |
[06:07] | I was hired by the museum, which I frequently am, | 该博物馆经常雇佣我来为不同展览拍照 |
[06:10] | to cover various exhibit openings, | |
[06:12] | I take stills for publicity, or sometimes for their own catalogues. | 我拍静物照来做公关 有时做宣传册子 |
[06:16] | Could you tell the court when the picture was taken? | 你能告诉法庭 这张照片是什么时候拍的吗 |
[06:18] | May 10th of 1999. | 1999年5月10日 |
[06:20] | For the record, that would be two days before Mrs. Kingman’s death. | 强调一下 那是Kingman女士死前两天 是吧 |
[06:23] | Yes. | – 是的 – 谢谢 我问完了 |
[06:24] | Thank you, sir. That’s all I have. | – 是的 – 谢谢 我问完了 |
[06:30] | Mr. Rydell, | Rydell先生 |
[06:32] | Mr. Mills appears to be standing two feet in front of Mrs. Kingman here. | Mills先生看起来就站在Kingman女士前面两英尺处 |
[06:38] | Would that be a fair assessment? | 这个说法妥当吗 |
[06:40] | I believe it would. | 妥当 |
[06:41] | So they’re not really standing side by side, are they? | 所以他们并不是真的站在对方旁边 是吧 |
[06:44] | Not in that photo. No. | 这张照片的确不是 |
[06:46] | Do you have any photographs where they’re standing side by side? | 你有其它照片显示他们站在对方旁边吗 |
[06:50] | No. | 没有 |
[06:51] | So they’re not really next to each other as you testified? | 没有 所以他们并不是真的如你之前所说的 站在对方旁边 |
[06:54] | They’re close to each other. | 他们所在位置距离很近 |
[06:56] | You never saw my client and Mrs. Kingman actually speak to each other, did you? | 你从没看到我的客户和Kingman女士说过话 是吧 |
[07:06] | I don’t think so. | 我觉得没有 |
[07:07] | If I did, I don’t remember. | 如果我看到过 我记不起来了 |
[07:08] | So it is entirely possible that | 所以完全有可能 |
[07:11] | Mr. Mills and Mrs. Kingman were simply two patrons at the same art opening | Mills先生和Kingman女士刚好是同一开幕式的顾客 |
[07:16] | who at one time were standing proximately close to one another. | 他们刚好在同一时间站在离对方很近的地方 |
[07:18] | Isn’t that possible? | – 有没有这个可能性 |
[07:20] | Yes. | – 有 |
[07:22] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 |
[07:24] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 |
[07:27] | You may step down. | 证人可以下证人席 |
[07:29] | Mr. Fox. | – Fox先生 – |
[07:31] | We call Steven Mike, your honor. | 我们传Steven Mac 法官阁下 |
[07:33] | Objection. This witness is not listed. | 反对 该证人之前从没提出过 |
[07:36] | Well, he is not really a witness, your honor. | 他并非证人 |
[07:37] | I’m calling him simply to read the email correspondence into evidence. | 我只是让他阅读通信内容 |
[07:40] | Objection | – 反对 – 驳回 |
[07:41] | Overruled | – 庭外商讨 法官阁下 – 驳回 |
[07:42] | Sidebar, your honor | – 庭外商讨 法官阁下 – 驳回 |
[07:42] | Denied | – 庭外商讨 法官阁下 – 驳回 |
[07:44] | You’re dening a sidebar? | – 你驳回庭外商讨? |
[07:45] | Yes, I am. | – 是的 |
[07:46] | Step up, Mr. Mike. | 上前来 Mac先生 |
[07:48] | The defence brings at this time a motion in limine | 被告现在提出动议压制通信作为证据 |
[07:49] | seeking to suppress the email correspondence. | |
[07:51] | That’s a pretrial motion, counsel. | 那是预审动议 |
[07:53] | We are in trial. | 你忘了现在已正式开庭了吗 |
[07:54] | I’ll have that escaped you. | 你忘了现在已正式开庭了吗 |
[07:55] | We’re raising it again at trial. | – 我们在庭再次提出 – 驳回 |
[07:57] | Denied | – 庭外商讨 – 驳回 |
[07:57] | Sidebar | – 庭外商讨 – 驳回 |
[07:58] | Denied, go and rejoin your group. | – 庭外商讨 – 驳回 回到你的律师团里 |
[08:02] | Let’s go, walking out. | 站起来 我们现在就走 |
[08:04] | What? | – 什么 – 站起来走就是了 |
[08:04] | Just do it. Let’s go. | – 什么 – 站起来走就是了 |
[08:13] | Where do you think you’re going? | 你们这是要去哪里 |
[08:14] | Back to Massachusetts, your honor. | 回马州去 法官阁下 |
[08:16] | If you leave this room, I will hold all four of you in contempt. | 如果你们离开 我会以蔑视法庭拘留你们四人 |
[08:20] | If we’re gonna stay in this room, then you will deal with us. | 如果我们留下 那你就不能不讲理 |
[08:24] | Now, either you give me a sidebar right now, adjourned to chambers, | 现在马上给我庭外商讨 移到会议室 |
[08:27] | or we’ll take the jail cell, | 否则我们就进牢房去 |
[08:28] | In which case you’ll have to start this trial all over again. | 这样的话 你就要重新审理这个案件 |
[08:34] | Members of the jury, we will take a five-minute recess. | 陪审团成员 我们休息五分钟 |
[08:50] | I don’t mean to show disrespect, but we can not tolerate you disrespecting us. | 我无不尊重之意 但我无法忍受你不尊重我们 |
[08:55] | We plan to renew our motion in limine concerning these letters. | 我们提出新动议压制那些信件 |
[08:57] | They should’ve have been pretrial. | 这该在预审就提出 |
[08:59] | Attorney Jacobs was derelict in his preparation for this case, | 前一位律师准备该案件时 完全没有尽责 |
[09:02] | I would think you could take judicial notice of that, | 作为司法人员 我以为你会留意到的 |
[09:04] | he didn’t file any motions to suppress. | 他没有提出任何压制动议 |
[09:06] | His failure to try to eliminate | 他没有压制这些证据完全就是失职 |
[09:07] | the immiscibility of these letters is gross malpractice. | |
[09:10] | I assure he wouldn’t have prevailed. | 我担保他也不会成功 |
[09:12] | We would like to be heard on the matter | 我们想要起码的表达的机会 |
[09:14] | and we would like additional time to prepare. | 我们需要更多的时间来准备 |
[09:16] | Otherwise we will file an interlocutory appeal | 否则 我们将申请庭中上诉 |
[09:18] | and get the time that way. | 然后拿到所需时间 |
[09:21] | Mr. Fox, Call your next witness. | Fox先生 传你的下位证人 |
[09:23] | Tomorrow morning before we bring in the jury, | 明早陪审团进来之前 |
[09:25] | I will hear the defendant’s motion to suppress the email | 我会听被告压制邮件的动议 |
[09:28] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[09:33] | Counsel, one more stunt like that, | 再耍一次花样 |
[09:36] | I will jail you, and the others will continue without you. | 我会把你关进监狱 其他人将继续 |
[09:49] | I thought you said don’t aggravate the guy. | 你不是说过不要惹这家伙吗 |
[09:52] | We can’t let him push us around, either. | 那也不能让他对我们为所欲为 |
[09:53] | Dokes is up next. Are you ready, Jimmy? | – 接着是Doles |
[09:55] | I’m ready. | 你准备好了吗 – 我准备好了 |
[09:56] | Why does everybody keep asking if I’m ready? | 为什么每个人总是问我准备好了没有 |
[09:59] | Well, we’d sort of like to know. | 我们想知道啊 |
[10:02] | I need to get air. | 我需要点新鲜空气 |
[10:03] | He is not ready. | 他没准备好 |
[10:05] | Is he ok? | – 他没事吧 – 没事 |
[10:05] | He is fine. | – 他没事吧 – 没事 |
[10:06] | He is best when he is nervous. | 他紧张时候状态才最佳 |
[10:08] | He better be fine. This is their key witness. | 他最好没事 这是他们的关键证人 |
[10:22] | You’re looking a little ashing, counsel. | 你看起来好像不太舒服啊 |
[10:24] | You’re worrying about me? | 你在担心我吗 |
[10:26] | You’re the one getting in that chair. | 要上证人席的人是你 |
[10:34] | You’d be smart to get up and down as fast as you can, you fat fart. | 你要是醒目的话 就给我小心点 你个死肥佬 |
[10:38] | I’ve been sitting in that chair for twenty years; | 我上证人席二十年了 |
[10:40] | I’ve bested Effley Bailey, Johnny Cochran, | 不少律师在我面前都失败了 |
[10:43] | I think I can handle Jimmy the grunt. | 我觉得我可以对付草根Jimmy |
[10:46] | I told you I’d check you out. | 我说过我会起你底 |
[10:48] | You are a hack. | 你就是个打杂的 |
[10:52] | You don’t think I’ll get you. | 你觉得我赢不了你? |
[10:54] | I’ll get you. | 我会让你输的很惨 |
[10:57] | Whatever you say, Jimbo. | 你说什么就是什么吧 傻叉 |
[11:05] | We found the body inside the trunk. | 我们在车厢里发现尸体 |
[11:08] | Were you able to identify her? | 你能够确定身份吗 |
[11:10] | Her purse and identification were also in the trunk. | 她的钱包和证件也在车厢里 |
[11:13] | We notified her husband, brought him to the scene | 我们通知她的丈夫 把他带到现场 |
[11:16] | where he identified the victim as his wife. | 并确认受害人是他的妻子 |
[11:19] | And what happened next? | 接着发生什么 |
[11:20] | We searched the premises of the defendant | 我们搜查了被告的屋子 |
[11:22] | which turned up a hammer wrapped in plastic | 发现一把塑料袋包起来的锤子 |
[11:25] | that was later determined to be the weapon used to murder Mrs. Kingman. | 之后确定锤子就是凶器 |
[11:28] | We subsequently search the victim’s house, dusting for fingerprints. | 我们接着搜查被告的屋子 提取指纹 |
[11:31] | And what did you find, detective? | 那你们发现什么了 警官 |
[11:33] | We lifted three prints off the lens of Mrs. Kingman’s eyeglasses | 我们从Kingman女士眼镜镜片提取了三组指纹 |
[11:37] | that belong to the defendant, Dennis Mills. | 指纹与被告Dennis Mills吻合 |
[11:39] | Where did you find those eyeglasses? | 你们在哪里发现的眼镜 |
[11:42] | Inside Mrs. Kingman’s desk. | Kingman女士桌子里面 |
[11:44] | We also found in the desk a manila envelope | 我们还在桌子里面发现一个信封 |
[11:47] | containing printed emails to the victim | 里面是打印出来的 |
[11:49] | from an alias that was later inentified to be the defendant. | 匿名发送给Kingman女士的信件 之后确定发送人是被告 |
[11:53] | Thank you, sir. | 谢谢 保留召回权利 |
[11:54] | We reserve the right to recall. | 谢谢 保留召回权利 |
[12:02] | Good afternoon, detective. | 下午好 警官 |
[12:03] | My name is James Berluti. We’ve actually met. | 我叫James Berluti 我们之前见过面了 |
[12:07] | How are you today, sir? | – 今天过得怎样 |
[12:08] | Fine. | – 还行 |
[12:09] | You said you searched my client’s premises. Why did you do that? | 你说你搜查我客户的屋子 你为什么这么做 |
[12:13] | Because we found a dead body in his car. | 因为我们在他的车里发现一具尸体 |
[12:15] | I see. | 好的 那你想过是其他人把尸体放那里的吗 |
[12:16] | Did you consider maybe somebody else put it there? | 好的 那你想过是其他人把尸体放那里的吗 |
[12:19] | We considered it and ruled it out. | 我们考虑过 排除了这个可能 |
[12:21] | Why? | – 为什么 – 因为尸体在他车里 |
[12:22] | Because her body was in his car. | – 为什么 – 因为尸体在他车里 |
[12:23] | You didn’t take him to the police station for questioning, | 你没有把他带到警局审问 |
[12:26] | you just arrested him right there on the spot. | 你当场就抓了他 |
[12:27] | Yes. | – 是的 – 然后发现了锤子 |
[12:28] | Then found the hammer, then the eyeglasses. | – 是的 – 然后发现了锤子 |
[12:31] | Correct. | – 然后是眼镜 – 没错 |
[12:31] | Open and shut, right, detective? | 案子已经清晰明了 是吧 |
[12:33] | Objection. | – 反对 – 成立 |
[12:34] | Sustained | – 反对 – 成立 |
[12:35] | After you found the hammer, you said in front of various officers | 发现锤子后 |
[12:38] | We got him. | 你在很多警察面前说 抓到他了 |
[12:39] | Did you not say that? | 你说过这句话吗 |
[12:40] | I was referring to the fact that we had a suspect in custody. | 我的意思是 我们拘捕了嫌疑人 |
[12:44] | Oh, you meant in custody. | – 噢 拘捕了嫌疑人 是吗 – 是的 |
[12:45] | Yes | 但是在你进车库之前 Dennis Mills已经被拘捕了 |
[12:46] | But Dennis Mills was already in custody before you went into the garage. | 但是在你进车库之前 Dennis Mills已经被拘捕了 |
[12:51] | Then you come out with a hammer in a evidence bag saying we got him. | 然后你拿着证据袋里的锤子说 抓到他了 |
[12:56] | Saying it to the officers who already had my client in custody. | 跟已经拘捕我客户的警官说这句话 |
[12:59] | Why would you tell the officers who had my client in custody, | 你为什么要跟拘捕我客户的警官说 |
[13:03] | that you now had him in custody? | 拘捕到他了 |
[13:06] | Is it possible you said it meaning | 有没有可能你的意思是 |
[13:09] | you got the guy nailed, something like that? | 这家伙死定了 |
[13:12] | I could have been saying it in that context. | 在那种情况下 |
[13:14] | I really don’t remember. | 我可能是那个意思 我记不清了 |
[13:16] | You have a reputation in your deportment for being a little lazy, | 在局里 你以懒惰而知名 |
[13:20] | don’t you, Detective? | 对不 警官 |
[13:21] | You want to compare reputations, counsel? | 你想要谈名声吗 |
[13:22] | Objection | – 反对 – 有效 我们不会深谈名声 |
[13:23] | Sustained, we’re not going to get into reputations. | – 反对 – 有效 我们不会深谈名声 |
[13:26] | This case was a snap, wasn’t it? Detective? | 这个案子根本不用操心 对不 警官 |
[13:29] | You didn’t even look into the idea of other suspects. | 你甚至没有想过其他嫌疑人的可能性 |
[13:33] | We investigated this case fully, Mr. Berluti. | 我们全面调查了这个案子 Berluti先生 |
[13:36] | You investigated fully? | 你们全面调查了 |
[13:37] | This chat room that my client and the victim had been in. | 我客户和受害人进入的聊天室 |
[13:40] | How many other people were in it? | 还有多少人进入这个聊天室 |
[13:43] | Many | – 很多 – 很多啊 |
[13:44] | Many? | – 很多 – 很多啊 |
[13:45] | Over twenty, isn’t that right, detective? | 超过20人 对不 警官 |
[13:47] | I believe so. | 应该是的 |
[13:49] | You talked to all of them? | – 你调查过所有人了吗 |
[13:50] | Well, we weren’t able to find them all, | – 我们无法找到所有人 |
[13:52] | most use aliases. | 大多数人都使用化名 |
[13:53] | Of the people you did find, | 就说说你找到的人吧 |
[13:55] | run checks on where they all were the evening of May 12? | 都查过他们5月12日的所在了吗 |
[14:00] | You didn’t do that, did you? Detective? | 你没有查 是吧 警官 |
[14:02] | Well, some of them, we quickly eliminated as suspects. | 我们迅速排除了一些人的嫌疑 |
[14:05] | Isn’t it true Dennis Mills is the only guy you put in your **? | Dennis Mills是不是你们唯一调查过的人 |
[14:09] | That is not true. | 当然不是 |
[14:10] | There were other people you bothered to consider? | 你们考虑过其他嫌疑人啊 |
[14:12] | Yes | – 是的 – 能说说他们的名字吗 |
[14:13] | Could I have their names? | – 是的 – 能说说他们的名字吗 |
[14:15] | Your client was the only one we focused on as a viable suspect, once… | 你的客户是我们唯一集中注意最大嫌疑人 |
[14:19] | No other suspects considered besides Dennis Mills, | 除Dennis Mills之外 没有考虑过其他嫌疑人 |
[14:22] | would that be your testimony, detective? | 这是你的证词吗 警官 |
[14:23] | Well, we considered others, | 我们考虑过其他嫌疑人 |
[14:25] | but we concluded that your client was the only viable suspect. | 我们得出的结论是你的客户是唯一的最大嫌疑人 |
[14:29] | I see. | 好的 |
[14:29] | Could I have the names of those other people you considered? | 我能听听你考虑过的其他嫌疑人的名字吗 |
[14:33] | Objection. Badgering. | – 反对 重复提问 – 驳回 |
[14:34] | Overruled. Answer the question, detective. | 回答该问题 警官 |
[14:40] | The only person the department seriously considered was your client. | 警局认为你的客户是最大嫌疑人 |
[14:45] | I see. | 好的 |
[14:47] | What about Anthony Brickman? | 那Anthony Brickman呢 |
[14:50] | A man also in the chat room. | 他也在聊天室里 |
[14:52] | Did you know he also emailed the victim? | 你知道他也给受害人发邮件吗 |
[14:55] | Yes | 知道 |
[14:56] | You have knowledge in one of those emails | 知道 你知道其中有封邮件写到 |
[14:58] | he threatened to kill Stacy Kingman? | 他威胁要杀害Stacy Kingman吗 |
[15:01] | Well, that man routinely threathens… | 那个男人经常发 |
[15:02] | It was an yes or no question, detective. | 请直接回答问题 警官 |
[15:04] | Do you have knowledge that Anthony Brickman emailed Stacy Kingman | 你是否知道Anthony Brickman给Stacy Kingman发邮件 |
[15:08] | threatening to kill her? | 威胁要杀害她 |
[15:10] | Yes or no? | – 知道 |
[15:11] | Yes. | 还是不知道 – 知道 |
[15:12] | Did you tell district attorney Fox about Anthony Brickman? | 你是否把Anthony Brickman的情况告知Fox检察官 |
[15:15] | No | – 否 |
[15:16] | You didn’t? | – 你没有 |
[15:17] | You’ve been a detective what? Twenty-one years? | 你当警察多少年了 21年吗 |
[15:20] | Twenty-seven. | – 27年 – 27年 |
[15:21] | Twenty-seven, as an experienced detective for so many years, | – 27年 – 27年 作为一个经验丰富的警官 |
[15:25] | you knew if you turned what you knew about Anthony Brickman over to the DA, | 你知道如果你把Anthony Brickman的情况告知检察官 |
[15:29] | he would be obligated by law to tell us about it. | 受到法律规定 检方必须告知我们他的情况 |
[15:33] | Is that why you didn’t tell the district attorney? | 你是否因此不告知检察官呢 |
[15:34] | No, it is not. | 不是这样的 |
[15:36] | The truth is, detective, | 警官 事实是 |
[15:38] | in your mind, you got the right guy in Dennis Mills | 你以为Dennis Mills就是凶手 |
[15:41] | and you didn’t bother to investigate anybody else. | 你也懒得去调查其他人了 |
[15:44] | Our investigation, all of it, pointed to your client. | 我们所有调查都指向你的客户 |
[15:48] | But your investigation can’t rule out the possibility | 但你的调查无法排除有人嫁祸Dennis |
[15:52] | somebody framed Dennis Mills, | Mills的可能性 |
[15:54] | can it? Detective? | 是吧 警官 |
[15:55] | That body could’ve been put in his car. | 尸体有可能是别人放到他车里的 |
[15:59] | The hammer could’ve been placed in his garage; | 锤子有可能是别人放到他车库里 |
[16:01] | and the glasses with his prints could’ve been planted in the house. | 带有他指纹的眼镜有可能是别人放到屋里的 |
[16:06] | All of that is possible, isn’t it? Detective? | 所有这一切都有可能 是不是 警官 |
[16:09] | Well, how did these prints get on the glasses? | 那他的指纹怎么出现在眼镜上 |
[16:10] | I don’t know. | 我不知道啊 这不是你应该调查的吗 |
[16:11] | It would have been nice if you investigate… | 我不知道啊 这不是你应该调查的吗 |
[16:13] | Objection | – 反对 |
[16:13] | Sustained | – 有效 |
[16:14] | You’re a drinker, aren’t you? Detective Dokes? | 你是个酒鬼 是吗 |
[16:17] | Objection | – 反对 – 如果这人的认知能力在当时是有问题的 |
[16:18] | If this man’s faculties were compromised or impaired at the time… | – 反对 – 如果这人的认知能力在当时是有问题的 |
[16:21] | Objection | – 反对 – 有效 |
[16:21] | Sustained | – 反对 – 有效 因为一个懒惰成性的酒鬼的残缺调查工作 我的客户面临着死刑 |
[16:22] | My client’s looking at a death penalty based on the shoddy work of a lazy drunk. | 因为一个懒惰成性的酒鬼的残缺调查工作 我的客户面临着死刑 |
[16:26] | -I have… -Objection | – 反对 – 有效 够了 Berzuti先生 |
[16:28] | Sustained. That’s enough, Mr. Berzuti. | – 反对 – 有效 够了 Berzuti先生 |
[16:30] | It’s Berluti. | 是Berluti |
[16:39] | I think I’m all done with the detective. | 我觉得我问完了 |
[16:57] | Research from Rebecca. | Rebecca的调查 |
[16:58] | Just in time, anything good. | 很及时 有什么有用的吗 |
[16:59] | California cases on point. | 加州的案子适用 |
[17:01] | If we can keep those letters out… | 如果我们能压制那些信件的话 |
[17:02] | You were so amazing. | 你刚才太棒了 |
[17:03] | What time is the motion? | – 动议几点 – 早上9点 |
[17:04] | 9. a.m. | 看到我怎么给他设陷的吗 他根本逃不了 |
[17:05] | You see the way I had him trapped? | 看到我怎么给他设陷的吗 |
[17:06] | He had no where to go. | 他根本逃不了 |
[17:08] | You were great. | 你太棒了 |
[17:09] | Listen to you all, | 你们给我听着 |
[17:10] | you’re on the ** about the prospect of getting a man off | 你们在帮一个你们都不相信是无辜的人逃脱 |
[17:12] | who you don’t even believe is innocent. | |
[17:14] | You don’t know what we believe, Mr. Kingman. | 你不知道我们相信什么 Kingman先生 |
[17:16] | Berluti, I’ll be watching every step you take, you son of bitch. | Berluti 我会盯着你每一举动 狗娘养的 |
[17:19] | Yeah, you do that… | – 嘢 你记得了 |
[17:20] | Leam him alone, Jimmy, just leave him alone | – Jimmy 别管他 |
[17:26] | Come on, Jimmy, we’re back in. | Jimmy 走吧 我们要进去了 |
[17:34] | The idea that my sister was wild | 我妹妹很疯狂 |
[17:37] | or associating freely with a bad element, | 或者和不良分子来往的说法 |
[17:40] | that’s simply not possible. | 这根本就不可能 |
[17:41] | Well, like Mr. Berluti said, | 但正如Berluti先生所说 |
[17:43] | she was in an erotic chat room; | 她在色情聊天室里 |
[17:45] | I still can’t believe that’s even possible, to be honest. | 老实说 |
[17:48] | But if she was. | 我仍然不相信那是真的 |
[17:50] | It was maybe out of curiosity or boredom. | 但如果是真的 可能是因为好奇或者无聊 |
[17:53] | She was not a thrill seeker, | 她从不会玩得这么野的 |
[17:56] | and would not be running around keeping bad company. | 也不会到处和坏人在一起 |
[17:59] | She went to the museum to check my client out. | 她去博物馆看我的客户了 |
[18:01] | That’s what you say. | 这是你的说法而已 |
[18:03] | I bet she mentioned she was going | 我敢说她提到她要去 |
[18:04] | and he went to check her out. | 他要看她了 |
[18:06] | So I would gather from your testimony, sister, | 那么从你的证词来看 我可以说 |
[18:08] | that you would deem it not just possilbe; even likely, | Stacy和Dennis |
[18:11] | that Stacey and Dennis Mills never in fact arranged to meet? | Mills完全没有一点可能安排出来见面了 |
[18:17] | Well, I can’t believe she would go off | 我无法相信她会和网络上的陌生人见面 |
[18:21] | and meet up with some stranger from the internet. | |
[18:24] | No, I can’t. | 我无法相信 |
[18:27] | So far it went better than expected. | 目前进展比预期要好 |
[18:29] | If we can keep the email letters from being admitted, | 如果我们能压制那些邮件 |
[18:31] | then our strategy will change. | 我们改变策略 |
[18:33] | We won’t be accusing the husband. | |
[18:34] | Ok. Why? | 好的 为什么 |
[18:36] | Because pointing the finger to the widower is very risky, | 因为指控鳏夫非常危险 |
[18:38] | we could completely alienate the jury. | 我们会让陪审团讨厌我们 |
[18:40] | And without that email, the prosecution’s case isn’t that great. | 没有邮件 检方的证据就显得很弱 |
[18:43] | We would have no reason to take such a risk. | 我们没有必要出险招 |
[18:45] | So what you’re telling me now, we have a chance? | 那你是说 我们有机会赢吗 |
[18:48] | Long way to go, but we’re definitely in the fight. | 渺茫的机会 但我们绝对会争取 |
[18:53] | Ok. Karen, back to you. | 好的 Karen 回到你 |
[18:56] | Can I put you on the stand? | 我能不能让你上证人席 |
[18:58] | Yes | 能 |
[18:59] | After they rest, we’ll call one witness before you, | 在他们结束供词之后 我们在你之前 会传一位证人 |
[19:01] | and then you’re on. | – 然后你就上了 – 好的 |
[19:02] | Ok | – 然后你就上了 – 好的 |
[19:05] | Ok. I gotta get back to work. | 好的 我要回去工作了 |
[19:07] | Lindsay | Lindsay, |
[19:08] | I don’t know how to thank you. | 我真无法感谢你 |
[19:10] | Thank me when you walk out of this court house. | 走出法庭后 再谢我 |
[19:16] | It’s evidence of his character. | 这是人格证据 |
[19:18] | It’s prejudicial. | 会引起偏见 |
[19:19] | The content of these emails is directly probative to Dennis Mills’ guilt. | 邮件的内容可能直接证明Dennis Mills是否有罪 |
[19:22] | There are some that go to sexual sadist… | 部分内容涉及性虐待 |
[19:24] | They do not go to the issue of guilt or innocence. | 这些与是否有罪没有关系 |
[19:26] | They certainly go to a predisposition. | 内容肯定与倾向性有关系 |
[19:28] | That isn’t admissible. | 那是法律不承认的 |
[19:30] | It’s evidence which is being offered to show | 这些证据是用来显示被告很有可能犯下被指控的罪行 |
[19:32] | that the defendant is more likely to have committed the alleged crime. | |
[19:36] | That’s flat-out inadmissible under the California Code of evidence. | 正如加州证据法典里强调的 这是不被承认的 |
[19:39] | You have the case law. | 你有该判例法 |
[19:40] | It seems to me the letters do more than suggest bad character… | 我觉得证据不仅显示人格问题 |
[19:43] | That’s the main thing they do and… | 这是这些证据的主要作用 |
[19:48] | I…I’m…I’m sorry, your honor. | 对 对不起 |
[19:50] | You were saying? | 法官阁下 你刚刚要说什么来着 |
[19:53] | They’re relevant to much more than character. | 证据不仅与人格问题有关 |
[19:56] | They go to state of mind | 还与心理状态有关 |
[19:57] | which to me goes to motive. | 也就是和动机有关 |
[19:59] | Mr. Fox, I’ll give you five emails. | Fox先生 |
[20:02] | Pick which ones you want to enter, | 我会给你五封邮件 你自己选哪五封 |
[20:04] | but I won’t let you load up, trying to bury the defendant with volume. | 但我不会让你选内容过多的 |
[20:07] | Five is fine. | 五封就好 |
[20:09] | I must reiterate these emails do not speak to | 我必须重申这些邮件与我客户是否犯下该罪行无关 |
[20:12] | whether my client committed the crime. | |
[20:14] | -Then why are you so bothered… -Because they… | – 那你为何如此在意这 – 因为 |
[20:18] | I thought you were finished. I really did. | 我以为你说完了 真的 |
[20:23] | I am bothered because of the graphic nature of some of these emails | 我如此在意 因为有些邮件描写过于细致 |
[20:28] | may cause the jury to believe that Dennis Mills is deviant, | 会让陪审团认为Dennis Mills是异类 |
[20:31] | and therefore more likely to have committed murder. | 进而认为很有可能实施谋杀 |
[20:34] | That’s exactly why these evidentiary rules exist | 这正是证据规则存在的原因 |
[20:36] | to prevent this kind of prejudicial influence. | 防止这些偏见性的影响 |
[20:39] | Well, I happen to believe the letters do have probative value | 我刚好认为这些信件与证明罪行有关 |
[20:42] | they are bound up with motive and therefore admissible. | 与动机有关 所以得到承认 |
[20:44] | To prevent prejudice, I”m limiting the prosecution to 5. | 为了防止偏见 我限定五封邮件 |
[20:48] | We’re adjourned. | 我们休庭 |
[20:49] | And now I’m finished. | 现在我说完了 |
[20:51] | Five minutes, we’ll bring the jury in. | 五分钟后 |
[20:54] | 5 is better than 60. | 陪审团进庭 五封总比六十封好 |
[20:57] | At least they can’t be reading these stuff for three days. | 至少他们不能读就读个三天 |
[20:59] | They should’ve all be excluded. | 本来应该全部压制的 |
[21:01] | He is calling Kingman to read them. | 他传Kingman来读 |
[21:02] | What? | – 什么 – Kingman发现的信件 |
[21:03] | Kingman found them, chain of custody. | – 什么 – Kingman发现的信件 |
[21:05] | Great | – 证据链 – 真妙啊 |
[21:06] | Shall we plan B him now? | 我们要现在就对他用B计划吗 |
[21:08] | Not on the ** of reading those letters, | 不能刚读完那些信就指控他 |
[21:10] | we’ll call him later, then… | 我们晚点再传他 |
[21:12] | What is this? | 这是什么情况 你竟然传唤我 |
[21:13] | You subpoena me, | 这是什么情况 你竟然传唤我 |
[21:14] | what, you put me up thereto say I whacked that lady? | 你要把我放到证人席 说我杀了那位女士吗 |
[21:16] | That’s not why I’m calling you, Anthony, | 那不是我传你的原因 Anthony |
[21:18] | I am putting you up there as a hacker expert. | 我传你作为黑客专家 |
[21:21] | An expert? | 专家吗 |
[21:22] | I want you to testify how you intercept email, that’s all. | 我想要你证明你如何截取邮件的 |
[21:27] | How do I know you won’t like plan b me? | 就这样 我怎么知道会不会对我用B计划啊 |
[21:29] | It’s the thing about the net Mr. Donnell. | 网络就是这么厉害啊 |
[21:31] | Local news is national news. | 地方新闻也成全国新闻了 |
[21:33] | I got online, pulled up some articles on your guys. | 我上网看了看关于你们的报告 |
[21:36] | Your client cuts off a head. The big lady here dates him, | 你们客户把人家头给砍了 这位大姐姐和他约过会 |
[21:39] | you plan B the headless girl’s brother, | 你们对受害人的弟弟用B计划 |
[21:41] | got sued for her | 还因此被告了 |
[21:43] | I don’t intend plan B you, Anthony. | 我没想着对你用B计划 Anthony |
[21:45] | I just want your computer expertise. | 我只需要你在电脑方面的知识 |
[21:53] | Today I dreamed we were angry. | 今天我梦到我们很生气 |
[21:57] | I was driven myself into you and I hurt you. | 我用力地冲进你体内 你觉得很疼 |
[22:02] | But pain became pleasure and I kept pushing and pushing | 但是疼痛变成享受 |
[22:06] | until your appeared lifeless | 我一直往前冲 直到你看起来失去生命 |
[22:09] | and I continue to make love to you. | 而我继续和你做 |
[22:12] | You lie there still, cold even | 你一动不动地躺着 摸着甚至很冷 |
[22:15] | and I continue to push myself deep inside you. | 而我仍继续深入你体内 |
[22:21] | I tear your skin away; | 我撕开你的皮肤 |
[22:24] | It’s not enough to be together. | 在一起已不足够了 |
[22:27] | I want to be in you | 我想要和你融为一体 |
[22:30] | and I ripped the skin | 我扯掉皮肤 |
[22:32] | and I feel your warm blood on my skin. | 感受你的血液在我皮肤的温度 |
[22:35] | It brings me a toy… | 这让我感到鱼跃 |
[22:40] | Excuse me, | 不好意思 读错了 |
[22:43] | it brings me joy. | 是 这让我感到愉悦 |
[22:54] | For whatever reason, hearing them read out loud. | 不知道为什么 听他们读出来 |
[22:58] | Well, at least he only put in three. | 感觉很可怕 至少他们只读三封信 |
[23:02] | He’s saving two. | 他们留着两封信 |
[23:04] | For what? | – 为什么 |
[23:05] | For you. | – 为了你 |
[23:06] | However well you do in your testimony, | 不管你表现得多好 |
[23:08] | Fox will have you read them on cross, | Fox会在盘问的时候让你读 |
[23:10] | so it’d be your last impression with the jury. | 这也会成为陪审员对你的最后印象 |
[23:18] | You Ok? | 你没事吧 |
[23:21] | I…I haven’t read them all. | 我没有全读过那些信 |
[23:24] | I didn’t…um… | 我没有 额 |
[23:28] | I haven’t read the ones I just heard. | 我没有读过刚刚那封信 |
[23:33] | I know you must think I’m sick. | 我知道你觉得我是个变态 |
[23:35] | Can I explain it? | 我能解释吗 |
[23:37] | Oh, you’re gonna have to explain, Dennis. | 噢 你一定要解释 Dennis |
[23:39] | To 12 people in a box. | 向12位陪审员解释 |
[23:45] | First, let’s just get through Brickman. | 目前 我们过了Brickman再说 |
[23:48] | There’s no such thing as privacy on the net. | 在网络上 根本不存在隐私 |
[23:51] | You may think you’re sending a private email, | 你或许以为你在发私人邮件 |
[23:52] | but even a kitty hacker can gain access. | 但是菜鸟黑客都能截取 |
[23:55] | So, say, if Mr. Mills was sending an email to Stacy Kingman | 假设Mills先生给Stacy Kingman发邮件 |
[23:58] | and only Stacy Kingman. | 只是Stacy Kingman |
[24:00] | It’s possible that somebody else could access it, read it? | 是否有可能其他人截取了 并阅读了 |
[24:04] | Objection. | 反对 该证人没有资格给予专家证词 |
[24:04] | This witness has no foundation to give expert testimony. | 反对 该证人没有资格给予专家证词 |
[24:07] | I specifically called him because he is a typically lay person computer hacker, | 他特意传他 正是因为他是典型的非专家 兼电脑黑客 |
[24:11] | for the purpose of showing how easy it is to intercept email. | 以证明截取邮件是多么地容易 |
[24:14] | The objection is overruled. | 反对驳回 |
[24:16] | Mr. Brickman, the emails my client sent to Mrs. Kingman, | Brickman先生 |
[24:20] | you ever seen them? | 我的客户发给Kingman女士的邮件 你阅读过吗 |
[24:22] | Yes. | 读过 我在同一聊天室 |
[24:23] | I was in the same chat room. | 读过 我在同一聊天室 |
[24:24] | And I was typically ** by your client’s contributions. | 我非常受益于你客户的贡献 |
[24:27] | I hacked into his email a lot. It’s publishable, ask me. | 我经常黑他的邮箱 按我说 他写的东西都能出版了 |
[24:31] | You accessed his email a lot? | 你经常黑他的邮箱? |
[24:34] | The man can write, it’s very arousing. | 他写得很好 很能激起性趣 |
[24:37] | Thank you. | 谢谢 |
[24:38] | Oh, one other thing, you threathened to kill Stacy Kingman, didn’t you? | 谢谢 对了 还有件事 你威胁过杀害Stacy Kingman 是吧 |
[24:42] | You said you won’t gonna get into that. | 你说你不会问到那的 |
[24:45] | I don’t mean to attack you, | 我不是要指控你 |
[24:46] | but the police did question you with respect to this threat, didn’t they? | 但警方的确就这些威胁质问过你 是吗 |
[24:50] | I threatened to kill lots of women | 我这样威胁过很多女人 |
[24:52] | by way of introduction. | 只是作为开场白 |
[24:54] | You’ll be surprised how many write back. | 回信的人多得惊人 |
[24:57] | Did the police question you? | 警方是否质问过你 |
[24:59] | Yes. I had an alibi, | 是的 |
[25:00] | I was at a naked nude bar with three buddies. | 我有不在场证明 我和三个朋友在裸体酒吧里 |
[25:02] | I told this to detective Dokes. | 我和警官Doles说过了 |
[25:04] | And he accepted your word? | 他直接接受你的话了吗 |
[25:05] | Truth be told, I think he was there too. | 说真的 我觉得他也在酒吧里 |
[25:11] | Mr. Brickman, this is not a forum for you to entertain. | Brickman先生 |
[25:16] | Is there anything else, counsel? | 这不是开玩笑的场合 |
[25:18] | No, your honor. | 还有问题吗 |
[25:21] | Nothing | 没有问题 |
[25:22] | Defense calls Dennis Mills. | 被告传Dennis Mills |
[25:26] | It was an anonymous form of expression. | 那是一种匿名的表达方式 |
[25:28] | I was told once, | 我听说的 |
[25:30] | a diary, when people writing them, | 人们在写日记的时候 |
[25:33] | they want it read on some unconscious level | 他们在潜意识希望有人读的 |
[25:36] | And when you would write these emails? | 你写这些邮件的时候 什么想法 |
[25:39] | it was, I guess more thrilling to know it was read by somebody. | 知道有人在读 感觉更兴奋 |
[25:44] | Ok but Dennis | 好的 但是 Dennis |
[25:46] | Some of the stuff you wrote | 你写的东西 |
[25:48] | very dark, I won’t deny that. | 非常黑暗 这我承认 |
[25:52] | Many people like pornography. | 很多人都喜欢色情内容 |
[25:54] | And some get more aroused when it’s dangerous, even violent. | 有的人更喜欢危险甚至暴力的内容 |
[25:59] | I don’t deny being put into that category | 我不否认我是这样的人 |
[26:02] | The emails, the chat room, | 那些邮件 聊天室 |
[26:04] | it was kind of an interactive pornographic thing. | 是一种 交互式的色情交流 |
[26:09] | But I have never ever acted out on… | 但我从来没有真正实行过 |
[26:13] | I’ve never even met Stacy Kingman. | 我甚至从没见过Stacy Kingman |
[26:15] | And I certainly didn’t kill her. | 我绝对没有杀害她 |
[26:17] | But you do admit these writings of yours. | 但你的确承认 你写的内容很 |
[26:20] | But that’s all it was, Mr. Donnell, writing. | 但仅限于写写而已 |
[26:24] | Fine. | 好的 但你写到的失去生命的人的尸体 |
[26:24] | But a dead body of someone you talked about being lifeless | 好的 但你写到的失去生命的人的尸体 |
[26:28] | ended up in your trunk. | 出现在你的车厢里 |
[26:30] | And I’m telling you that somebody else put it there. | 我说过了 |
[26:33] | Somebody is trying to set me up to take a fall | 其他人把尸体放在那里 |
[26:38] | for a crime I didn’t commit. | 有人把莫须有的罪名嫁祸到我身上 |
[26:41] | You claimed you were home alone the evening that Mrs. Kingman was murdered. | 你宣称Kingman遇害的晚上 你独自呆在家里 |
[26:45] | Yes | 是的 |
[26:45] | Never heard anybody break into your garage, | 是的 没有听到什么人进入你的车库 |
[26:47] | break into your car, dump off a dead body? | 打开你的车 扔下尸体吗 |
[26:49] | No | 没有 |
[26:50] | Any sign of a breaking in either with your car or the garage? | 没有 车厢或车库 有什么被破坏的痕迹吗 |
[26:54] | They’re both unlocked. | 两个都没有锁好 |
[26:55] | The car trunk was unlocked? | 连车厢都没有锁吗 |
[26:58] | No. | 是的 |
[27:03] | Could you read this email for the court please? | 你能把这封邮件读给法庭吗 |
[27:08] | Tonight, I see you… | 今晚我看到你 |
[27:13] | I didn’t write this. | 这不是我写的 |
[27:14] | Mr. Mills, you’ve already admitted to write it. | Mills先生 你已经承认过写这些邮件了 |
[27:16] | I didn’t write this one. | 我没有写这一封 |
[27:17] | Would you read it please? | – 你能读出来吗 |
[27:18] | No, I didn’t write it. | – 不能 这不是我写的 |
[27:20] | Your honor | – 法官阁下 – 我从没见过这封邮件 这不是我写的 |
[27:20] | I never saw this one. I didn’t write it. | – 法官阁下 – 我从没见过这封邮件 这不是我写的 |
[27:22] | What’s going on? | 发生什么了 |
[27:23] | This is in the packet already stipulated to by the defense | 发生什么了 |
[27:25] | as been written by the defendant. | 这封邮件出自被告律师声明将由被告读出的信件里 |
[27:27] | I never saw this one. I didn’t write it. | 我从没见过这封邮件 这不是我写的 |
[27:29] | Sidebar | 庭前商讨 |
[27:36] | Chain of custody has been stipulated to. | 证据链写明这是在被告的桌子发现的 |
[27:38] | It was in the victim’s desk. | |
[27:39] | My client didn’t review all the emails | 我的客户没有检查所有的邮件 |
[27:41] | and his former attorney who agreed to this stipulation, | 是他的前律师同意的声明 |
[27:43] | I’d be surprised if he read any. | 他要是读过任何一封邮件 我都觉得神奇了 |
[27:46] | I’ll allow it. | 我同意通过 |
[27:47] | Your honor, he should have… | 我同意通过 – |
[27:48] | You’re free to argue he didn’t write it, Mr. Donnell. | 法官阁下 他不应该 |
[27:51] | Step back. | – 你可以提出这不是他写的 请退下 |
[27:59] | The jury is advised, | 陪审团注意尽管被告律师同意证据声明 |
[28:00] | despite the defense’s stipulation that Mr. Mills denies authorship. | 被告否认写下这封邮件 |
[28:06] | Recovered. | 好了 |
[28:07] | Appealed. | – 上诉 |
[28:08] | So noted. Take your seat. | – 知道了 请坐下 |
[28:20] | Tonight, I… | 今晚我 |
[28:25] | I see you beneath me, | 看到你在我身下 |
[28:28] | your eyes are vacant, | 你双眼失去光泽 |
[28:30] | I see your face in death, | 我看到你面临着死亡 |
[28:32] | And I see my hands, | 我还看到我的双手 |
[28:34] | the hands that took you, | 把你送上天堂的双手 |
[28:37] | the hands that delivered you to God. | |
[28:43] | I never wrote that. | 这不是我写的 |
[28:47] | I never wrote that. | 这 不是 我 写的 |
[28:54] | We gotta go back to the husband, plan B. | 我们必须对那个丈夫用B计划 |
[28:57] | At this point it will look so desperate. | 这个时候用 太铤而走险了 |
[28:59] | I mean all we’ll accomplish… | 之前的努力都会白费 |
[29:01] | The jury will want to convict us along with Dennis. | 陪审团会想把我们和Dennis一起定罪的 |
[29:03] | Well, Lindsay, any ideas? We’re all listening. | Lindsay 还有什么办法吗 我们洗耳恭听 |
[29:06] | He didn’t write that email. | 他没有写那封邮件 |
[29:07] | And I thought he denied it pretty persuasively. | 我觉得他否认得很坚决 |
[29:09] | Didn’t you, Lucy? | 你不觉得吗 Lucy |
[29:11] | Go to the beach. | 快滚到海滩去 |
[29:27] | We’ve done everything we can, Lindsay. | 我们真的尽力了 Lindsay |
[29:31] | I know. | 我知道 |
[29:34] | I think I always believed | 我觉得我一直都相信 |
[29:36] | if you had an innocent client, | 如果你的客户是无辜的 |
[29:39] | and you fought your hardest, | 你也尽最大努力了 |
[29:41] | you would win. | 你会赢的 |
[29:49] | That’s how it should work. | 本来应该是这样的 |
[29:53] | Let me take a shot with the husband. | 让我试试那个丈夫吧 |
[29:59] | Do you think it would work? | 你觉得有帮助吗 |
[30:05] | No. | 没有 |
[30:07] | This case is still circumstantial. | 这个案子证据仍不确凿 |
[30:09] | But the impact of those letters was | 但是那些信件的影响 |
[30:14] | very damaging. | 对我们非常不利 |
[30:17] | Our plan is to put you, Karen, up first. | 我们的计划是先传Karen你上 |
[30:21] | Then we call Kingman and abush him as best as we can. | 然后传Kingman 尽可能地让他措手不及 |
[30:25] | He has an alibi, I thought. | 他不是有不在场证明吗 |
[30:27] | He does. But we’ll try to suggest | 是的 |
[30:28] | he hired somebody to kill her | 但我们会提出他买通杀手来杀她 |
[30:30] | which personally I think he did. | 而我个人认为他的确这样做 |
[30:33] | But we have no proof. | 但我们没有证据 |
[30:36] | No | 是的 |
[30:39] | Then we’ll recall you, Dennis. | 然后我们会再传你 Dennis |
[30:42] | And try to make your last impression with the jury, | 让你留给陪审团最后的印象稍微好点 |
[30:44] | something other than… | 而不是 |
[30:49] | then we’ll rest, | 然后我们结束陈词 |
[30:52] | and hope for the best. | 祈祷有个好结果 |
[31:02] | Anything can happen, | 结果怎样还说不定 |
[31:05] | their case is circumstantial. | 他们没有确凿证据 |
[31:09] | There must be something you can do, Miss. Dole. | 你肯定还可以做些什么的 Dole小姐 |
[31:13] | Can’t you think of anything? | 你就没有其它办法吗 |
[31:25] | I want you watching the faces of the jurors, | 我要你盯着陪审员的脸色 |
[31:27] | if it looks like I’m **, let me know, | 脸色稍有不对 |
[31:28] | I’ll cut my losses. | 让我知道 我马上停住 |
[31:29] | When you spoke to the husband, did he seem sympathetic? | 你和丈夫谈的时候 他有难过吗 |
[31:32] | Very. | – 非常难过 – 太好了 |
[31:33] | Great | – 非常难过 – 太好了 |
[31:33] | Ready? | – 准备好了吗 – 没有 有区别吗 |
[31:34] | No, does it matter? | – 准备好了吗 – 没有 有区别吗 |
[31:36] | You don’t look so cocky today, Jimbo. | 今天没那么神气了 Jimbo |
[31:38] | Hey, we can always call you again. | 我们总可以再传你啊 |
[31:42] | Let’s go. | 我们走吧 |
[31:45] | It is inconceivable that my husband could have committed this crime. | 根本无法想象到我丈夫会犯下杀人罪 |
[31:49] | You feel pretty sure about that? | 你确定吗 |
[31:51] | I’ve known him for 12 years. | 我认识他十二年了 |
[31:53] | I’ve never known him to have any capacity for violence. | 他和暴力扯不上任何关系 |
[31:57] | He’s a gentle person. | 他是个很温和的人 |
[32:00] | You read the things he wrote to Stacy Kingman | 你也读过他写给Stacy Kingman的东西了 |
[32:03] | about wanting to make love to her. | 关于想和她做爱的内容 |
[32:04] | Did you know your husband was writing those things to another woman? | 你知道你丈夫在给别的女人写这样的东西吗 |
[32:11] | No. | 不知道 |
[32:12] | They kept their relationship secret from you? | 不知道 他没有告诉你这段关系吗 |
[32:15] | Yes, but… | 是的 |
[32:16] | So you can’t really sit in that chair | – 但是 – 所以你不能真的坐在证人席上 |
[32:19] | and lay claim to knowing everything about him, can you? | 说了解他的一切 |
[32:22] | I know he’s not a murderer. | 我知道他不是杀人犯 |
[32:24] | Well, at the time the police first questioned you, | 警方第一次询问你的时候 |
[32:28] | you weren’t even sure about that though, were you? | 你还没有那么确定呢 不是吗 |
[32:30] | I was in shock when I first spoke to the police. | 我开始和警方谈的时候 我受到震惊了 |
[32:33] | But at that point you weren’t sure, were you? | 在那个时候 |
[32:37] | Did you know your husband to be capable | 你不确定 |
[32:39] | of writing the things he wrote in the emails, Mrs. Mills? | 是吗 你知道你丈夫会写出邮件里这样的东西吗 |
[32:43] | When first confronted with those emails, did you not say | 你初次看到这些邮件时 |
[32:46] | that is not my husband; | 你是否说过 这不是我丈夫 |
[32:48] | Didn’t you say that, Mrs. Mills? | 你说过这样的话吧 |
[32:55] | Yes. | – 是的 |
[32:56] | Here you sit, saying you know it. | – 而你现在坐在这里 声称你了解他 |
[33:01] | Could you read this for the court please? | 你能把这些读给法庭吗 |
[33:03] | I shouldn’t have to… | |
[33:04] | Your honor | – 我没有必要 – 法官阁下 |
[33:05] | Please read it, Mrs. Mills. | Mills女士 请读 |
[33:21] | I find myself thinking of you more and more. | 我发现我越来越想你了 |
[33:23] | I feel it’s becoming an obsession. | 我觉得对你痴迷了 |
[33:27] | An obsession I must extinguish. | 这种痴迷我一定要消除 |
[33:31] | It’s time for it all to be extinguished. | 这一切都要消除掉…… |
[33:36] | Thank you, Mrs. Mills. | 谢谢 Mills女士 |
[33:38] | That’s all I have. | 我问完了 |
[33:44] | Miss. Dole? Redirect? | Dole女士 再次询问吗 |
[33:48] | Miss. Dole? | Dole女士 |
[33:58] | It’s you. | 是你干的吧? |
[33:59] | Excuse me? | 你说什么? |
[34:01] | May I see your glasses please? | 我能看看你的眼镜吗 |
[34:19] | That’s how Dennis’ prints got on the victim’s glasses. | 这就是Dennis Mills(疑犯)的指纹出现在受害人眼镜上的原因 |
[34:24] | That’s why he doesn’t remember. | 所以他才记不起来 |
[34:28] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[34:29] | One night you probably said | 你可能在某个晚上说: |
[34:31] | Honey, hand me my glasses which he did | 亲 能给我拿一下眼镜吗 他就给你拿了 |
[34:35] | when he was really picking up Stacy Kingman’s glasses. | 但他拿的是Stacy Kingman(死者)的眼镜 |
[34:38] | What is the hell is this? | 这是搞什么花样? |
[34:40] | Latitude, your honor. | 法官阁下 请让我说下去 |
[34:41] | The woman Zachary Kingman was having an affair with | 传闻中和Zachary |
[34:43] | maybe is having an affair with, | Kingman有染的女人 |
[34:45] | is you. | 正是你 |
[34:46] | Have you lost your mind? | 你疯了吗 |
[34:48] | Stacy’s sister couldn’t imagine Stacy get involved with an email relationship. | Stacy的姐姐无法相信Stacy会陷入网恋 |
[34:52] | She never did, did she, Karen? | 根本就没有网恋 是吧 Karen |
[34:55] | It was Zachary Kingman exchanging those emails with your husband, | 和你丈夫互通邮件的人是Zachary |
[35:00] | pretending to be Stacy. | Kingman 他假装是Stacy(死者) |
[35:02] | Well, this…this is ridiculous. | 这太荒唐了 |
[35:04] | You discovered your husband’s predilection for chat room erotica; | 你发现你丈夫喜欢聊天室猎奇色情内容 |
[35:07] | and decided to use it, didn’t you, Karen? | 然后决定利用这点 是吧 Karen |
[35:09] | Zachary Kingman got in that same chat room pretending to be Stacy, | Zachary Kingman进入同一聊天室 假装是Stacy(死者) |
[35:13] | for the purpose of setting up this perfect murder | 目的是摆下这一完美的谋杀局 |
[35:16] | which gets rid of both of your spouses | 一下子就能摆脱你们两人各自的配偶 |
[35:18] | Objection, she should ask the witness a question, | – 你疯了! – 反对 律师没有提出问题 |
[35:21] | not spin a wild story. | 尽在编造故事 |
[35:22] | Here’s my question, Mrs. Mills. | 这就是我的问题 Mills女士 |
[35:23] | And I remind you you’re under oath. | 我提醒你 你发过誓的 |
[35:26] | Are you now or did you ever have an affair with Zachary Kingman? | 你是否现在 或者 曾经 和Zachary Kingman有过外遇 |
[35:30] | I refuse to answer the question on the grounds it may incriminate me. | 我以可能牵连 自我为由 拒绝回答该问题 |
[35:34] | This is preposterous. | 这简直是一派胡言 |
[35:35] | Mr. Kingman, take your seat. | Kingman先生 坐下 |
[35:36] | You and Zachary Kingman conspired to kill his wife | 你和Zachary Kingman联合杀害他的妻子 |
[35:40] | and frame your husband, didn’t you? | 然后嫁祸给你丈夫 对不 |
[35:42] | I refuse to answer on the grounds it may incriminate me. | 我以可能牵连自我为由 拒绝回答该问题 |
[35:44] | Your honor, I’d ask that you grant this woman immunity, | 法官阁下 |
[35:47] | and compel her to answer my question. | 我请求给予这个女人豁免权 并强迫她回答我的问题 |
[35:48] | The court is not about to grant her immunity, counsel. | 该庭不会给予豁免权 |
[35:51] | She can refuse to answer unless you grant immunity. | 她会一直拒绝回答 |
[35:53] | My client’s life is… | 除非你给予豁免权 我的客户面临着死刑! |
[35:54] | I am not granting immunity. | 我不会给予豁免权! |
[35:56] | This is your husband, Karen. | 这可是你丈夫 Karen |
[35:59] | Are you really gonna let him take the fall? | 你真要让他替你受罪吗 |
[36:03] | You and Zachary Kingman did this together, didn’t you? | 你和Zachary Kingman联合杀人 对不 |
[36:10] | I’m pleading the 5th Amendment. | 我要援引第五修正案 |
[36:30] | Fox Mr. Fox? | |
[36:32] | Nothing, your honor. | 先生 没有问题 |
[36:34] | The witness may step down, | 法官阁下 |
[36:36] | but I am ordering you not to leave this jurisdictions. | 证人可以下席 但是我命令你不能离开法庭 |
[36:55] | Miss. Dole? | – Dole女士 – 被告结束陈词 法官阁下 |
[36:55] | The defense rests, your honor. | – Dole女士 – 被告结束陈词 |
[36:57] | Mr. Fox, rebuttal witness? | 法官阁下 – Fox先生 反驳证人 |
[37:00] | No, your honor | 没有 法官阁下 |
[37:04] | All right | 好了 |
[37:09] | As a matter of law, | 作为执法人员 |
[37:11] | I find that no jury could reasonably deny | 我发现陪审团不能合理地排除合理怀疑 |
[37:14] | the existence of reasonable doubt here. | |
[37:16] | I am directing a verdict of not guilty. | 我直接判决被告无罪 |
[37:19] | The defendant is free to go. | 被告可以离开 |
[37:21] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[37:24] | I can’t believe it. | – 这不是真的吧 |
[37:25] | Neither can I. | – 是啊 |
[37:39] | It’s over? | 结束了吗 |
[37:41] | It’s over. | 是结束了 |
[37:44] | It’s over. | 结束了 |
[38:04] | What? | – 什么- 我们就非得马上离开吗 |
[38:05] | You know, we didn’t have to take the red eye. | – 什么- 我们就非得马上离开吗 |
[38:07] | One day on the beach wouldn’t have killed us. | 在海滩玩一天会死啊 |
[38:08] | Would you forget the beach? | 你能不能忘了海滩的事啊 |
[38:09] | Oh, that will be easy coz I never saw it. | 这还不简单 因为我连海滩都没看到 |
[38:13] | She flipped him. | 她把他给卖了 |
[38:16] | What? | – 什么 – Karen Mills刚刚认罪了 |
[38:17] | Karen Mills just confessed. | – 什么 – Karen Mills刚刚认罪了 |
[38:19] | -Completely? -You’ve got be kidding? | – 完全认罪吗 – 你开玩笑吧 |
[38:20] | You pegged it. They were having an affair. | 你猜对了 他们是有染 |
[38:23] | Karen discovered Dennis’ chat room hobby. | Karen发现Dennis的聊天室爱好 |
[38:26] | She and Kingman decided to use it. | 她和Kingman决定利用这点 |
[38:28] | Kingman killed his wife | Kingman杀了他妻子 |
[38:29] | Now Karen is looking to plead out on conspiracy and flip Kingman. | Karen现在承认共谋 把Kingman供出来了 |
[38:33] | Unbelievable | – 难以置信 |
[38:34] | How did it hit you? | – 你是怎么想到的 |
[38:35] | I don’t know, when I saw those glasses… | 我也不清楚 看到那眼镜的时候想到的 |
[38:38] | I wish I could have see Dokes’ face when she took the Fifth. | 我希望我能看到她援引第五修正案的表情 |
[38:41] | I forgot to look. | 我忘了看清楚点 |
[38:44] | – Well, not that I want to make our plane, but we should… | |
[38:46] | Come on | 不是我急着走 |
[38:47] | Lindsay | 但我们要上飞机了 |
[38:49] | Dennis. | – 走吧 |
[38:51] | Did you hear? | – 你听说了吗 – 我们刚和地方检察院通过话 |
[38:52] | We just got it from the DA’s office. | – 你听说了吗 – 我们刚和地方检察院通过话 |
[38:54] | How are you doing? | 你感觉怎样 |
[38:56] | I’m still a little shocked, | 我还有点震惊 |
[38:58] | I might lost a loving wife, but I’m not in jail. | 我少了个老婆 – |
[39:02] | Yeah | 但至少我没进监狱 – 是啊 |
[39:04] | Listen, can I talk to you a second? | 我能和私下说两句吗 |
[39:06] | Yeah, that’s about all I have | |
[39:07] | No, I just… | 不 我只是 |
[39:09] | I want to… | 我想 |
[39:11] | I know you’re ganna get back on the plane | 我知道你要上飞机 |
[39:14] | and tomorrow there’s ganna be another client, | 明天有别的客户 |
[39:17] | and another one after that, another one after that. | 再明天还有别的客户 |
[39:19] | But for this client, | 但是 这位客户 |
[39:23] | Lindsay, when we took that art class, | 我们一起上那艺术课的时候 |
[39:27] | I remember you saying how it was getting tougher and tougher | 我记得你说 |
[39:31] | to wake up in the morning and go to work, | 起床上班 |
[39:33] | believe in what you do. | 相信自己的所作所为 |
[39:35] | I’ll never be able to pay you people for giving me back my life. | 变得越来越难 我永远无法报答你们给了我新的生活 |
[39:39] | I don’t even know how to say thank you enough. | 我甚至不知道怎么才能感谢你们 |
[39:46] | But if I could offer you this, | 但我能说的是 |
[39:51] | please believe in what you do, | 请相信你的工作是有意义的 |
[39:55] | and believe in what you are. | 相信你是个好人 |
[40:01] | You are all special people. | 你们都是与众不同的人 |
[40:29] | We gotta go. |