时间 | 英文 | 中文 |
---|---|---|
[00:02] | When did this happen? | 什么时候发生的? |
[00:03] | Eight days ago. | 八天前 |
[00:04] | Why didn’t the hospital notify the police? | 医院为什么没有通知警察? |
[00:06] | Admitting says he wasn’t convinced the crime had been committed. | 供称说他不确信发生了犯罪 |
[00:09] | I don’t believe him. | 我不相信他 |
[00:10] | He also says he wanted her to heal first | 他还说他希望先让她恢复健康 |
[00:12] | before asking any tough questions. | 然后在问一些棘手的问题 |
[00:14] | That maybe true. | 拿到可能是实情 |
[00:15] | She’s been read her rights? | 给她宣读她的权力了吗? |
[00:16] | Twice. | 两遍了 |
[00:17] | She didn’t ask for a lawyer? | 她要求律师了吗? |
[00:18] | She hadn’t said anything, she won’t talk. | 她还什么都没说呢,她不说话 |
[00:31] | Hi, Jenny, | 嗨,Jenny |
[00:32] | my name is Helen Gamble. | 我是Helen Gamble |
[00:35] | I am a District Attorney. | 我是地检律师 |
[00:37] | I know you’re scared, | 我知道你被吓坏了 |
[00:38] | being brought in by the police, you must be terrified. | 被警察带进来,你肯定会感到惊恐 |
[00:43] | I am not the police, okay? | 我不是警察,好吗? |
[00:45] | And I think I can help you, | 我想我可以帮你 |
[00:48] | But you’re gonna have to trust me first. | 但你首先要信任我 |
[00:50] | I…I just wanna leave. | 我。。。我想离开 |
[00:52] | And I will make sure you do. | 我确信你会的 |
[00:55] | But first, I… | 但首先,我。。。 |
[00:58] | I just want you to tell me what happened, okay? | 我只希望你告诉我发生了什么?好吗? |
[01:02] | Now, Doctor Mathew said you tried to kill yourself, | 现在,Mathew医生说你试图自杀 |
[01:04] | is that true? | 是吗? |
[01:07] | Can you tell me why? | 能告诉我为什么吗? |
[01:09] | Because… | 因为。。。 |
[01:12] | I know this stuff is hard to talk about. | 我知道这事很难启齿 |
[01:14] | So I’ll tell you what, | 所以我来说 |
[01:16] | I’ll tell you what I do know, | 我会告诉你我所知道的 |
[01:18] | and you can fill in some of the blanks, all right? | 你可以做补充,好吗? |
[01:20] | You mom threw you out of the house. | 你妈妈把你赶出家 |
[01:23] | When did she throw you out, Jenny? | 她什么时候把你赶出去的,Jenny? |
[01:26] | The day before. | 前一天 |
[01:27] | The day before you tried to take your life? | 在你想结束生命的前一天? |
[01:30] | Yes. | 是的 |
[01:31] | Did she throw you out because | 她把你赶出去是因为 |
[01:32] | she was angry that you were pregnant? | 她对你怀了孕非常生气? |
[01:35] | Yes. | 是的 |
[01:36] | And you were seven months? | 有七个月? |
[01:41] | Why was she so upset, do you know? | 你知道为什么她这么生气吗? |
[01:45] | She’s always saying | 她总是说 |
[01:47] | don’t go and get knocked up. | 别跑出去让别人把肚子搞大了 |
[01:49] | It’s a big thing with her. | 对她来说这是个大事 |
[01:51] | So when she found out, she kind of went berserk and stuff, | 所以当她发现了之后,她有些变得发疯那样 |
[01:55] | told me my life would be ruined and… | 对我说我的生活是堕落的,而且。。。 |
[01:58] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[02:00] | What about your dad? | 你爸爸呢? |
[02:02] | I don’t have a dad. | 我没爸爸 |
[02:04] | My mother doesn’t even know who he is or was. | 我妈妈甚至也不知道他是谁 |
[02:10] | I think that’s… | 我想,她。。。 |
[02:13] | she got knocked up. | 她也被人搞大了肚子 |
[02:17] | I was probably the baby that ruined her life. | 我可能就是使她生活堕落的那个孩子 |
[02:21] | You being pregnant, that’s sort of a huge disaster, uh? | 你怀了孕,那是一种极大的不幸,呃? |
[02:25] | Were you upset when she threw you out of the house? | 她把你赶出房子时,你心烦意乱是吗? |
[02:28] | Yes. | 是 |
[02:30] | Is that the reason you try to kill yourself? | 这是你试图自杀的原因吗? |
[02:34] | Probably. | 可能吧 |
[02:38] | Are you really gonna help me? | 你真打算帮我? |
[02:41] | You have my word. | 我向你保证 |
[02:45] | I saw that after you stabbed yourself, | 我发现在你刺伤自己后, |
[02:49] | I see you then got yourself to a hospital. | 你自己去了医院 |
[02:54] | Did you then decide you really wanted to live? | 你是随即下决心想活下来是吗? |
[02:58] | Yeah. | 是 |
[02:59] | It was hurting so bad, I just wanted the pain to go away. | 伤得很厉害,我只是想止住疼痛 |
[03:04] | Did you really think you would kill yourself | 你真的认为通过刺伤自己的尾部 |
[03:06] | by stabbing yourself in the stomach, Jenny? | 就可以自杀,Jenny? |
[03:09] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[03:14] | When I was 19, I got pregnant. | 当我19岁,我怀孕了 |
[03:18] | I had an abortion. | 胎儿流产了 |
[03:20] | I was way too young for a baby. | 对于一个婴儿来说,我太过年轻了 |
[03:25] | What are you? 15? | 你呢?15岁? |
[03:27] | Look, kid, it’s okay. | 孩子,没事的 |
[03:31] | You need to talk about this, | 你需要和人谈谈这些 |
[03:33] | you can’t try to bury this alone. | 你不能试图独自掩盖这些事 |
[03:35] | Trust me. | 相信我 |
[03:36] | I tried to keep everything inside | 我试过把所有这些都藏在心里 |
[03:39] | and it caused me more pain than anything else in my whole life. | 但它给我造成的痛苦比我生活中其他的事造成的都要多 |
[03:43] | It’s okay to talk about it, Jenny. | 说出来就好了,Jenny |
[03:48] | When you stabbed yourself, | 当你刺伤自己的时候, |
[03:51] | you were only tring to kill the baby, weren’t you? | 你只是试图刺死这个胎儿,不是吗? |
[03:55] | It’s okay, Jenny. | 没事了,Jenny |
[03:57] | You are only 15 years old, for… | 你才15岁, |
[03:59] | You just tried to raise a child | 你只是想养育一个婴儿 |
[04:01] | and your mom had thrown you out of the house. | 你的妈妈把你赶出了家 |
[04:05] | You were only tring to kill the baby, isn’t that right? | 你只是试着想打掉这个胎儿,对不对? |
[04:12] | You thought that if… | 你是想如果。。。 |
[04:14] | if you could make the baby go away, things would be better. | 如果你能打掉这个胎儿,情况就好转了 |
[04:21] | It’s okay, sweet heart. | 没事了,宝贝。。。 |
[04:24] | I am gonna help you. | 我会帮你的 |
[04:27] | But first, I am gonna sent someone in | 但首先,我要叫些人进来 |
[04:29] | to write down the things we talked about. | 记录下你说的这些情况 |
[04:32] | Then I am gonna help you get out. | 随后我要帮你出去 |
[04:35] | I promise. | 我保证 |
[04:47] | Get her a statement. | 取得她的陈述 |
[05:37] | This is the first trial of this kind | 这是第一次审判这种案子 |
[05:38] | where a woman is actually being charged | 事实上,一个女人被指控 |
[05:41] | with fornicating her husband to dead. | 通过性交杀死了她丈夫 |
[05:43] | Gee, she is in every channel. | 哇,每个频道都是她 |
[05:44] | …she is now accused of inducing his heart attack with sexual intercourse. | 。。。她现在被控告在性交中诱发了她丈夫心力衰竭 |
[05:48] | The defence firm of Donnnel Young Dole $ Frutt… | 为被告辩护的Donnnel Young Dole $ Frutt事务所。。。 |
[05:51] | Hey, I gotta run down to the court house, | 嘿,我必须赶去法院 |
[05:52] | favor for Helen, some homicide case. | 有个什么凶杀案,帮一下Helen, |
[05:54] | Helen asks a favor on a homicide case? | Helen有个凶杀案要帮忙? |
[05:57] | I’ll call you when I know more. | 我了解一下情况再给你打电话 |
[05:59] | However, in one of the more amusing polls, | 然而,在一个更有趣的民意调查中 |
[06:02] | 33% of the men said they would nevertheless | 有33%的男人说尽管如此 |
[06:04] | still want to have sex with the Black Widow | 他们还是想和这个黑寡妇做爱 |
[06:07] | fully knowing she might then try to kill them. | 明知她或许会设法杀了他们 |
[06:10] | I would. | 我会的 |
[06:14] | 32622, Commonwealth versus Jenifer Holbrook, | 32622,联邦指控Jenifer Holbrook |
[06:17] | murder in the first degree. | 一级谋杀罪 |
[06:18] | Ellenor Frutt for the defendant, waive reading, | Ellenor Frutt为被告辩护,放弃宣读权利 |
[06:20] | we enter a plea of not guilty. | 我们提出无罪抗辩。 |
[06:22] | Helen Gamble for the Commonwealth, | Helen Gamble代表联邦作为控方 |
[06:23] | You Honour, I’d like to conference, | 法官大人,我想就此进行商议 |
[06:25] | I think we can depose of it today. | 我想我们今天就可以解决 |
[06:26] | A first degree murder case? | 一个一级谋杀案? |
[06:29] | I’d like to conference. | 我想进行商议 |
[06:31] | Let’s go. | 好吧 |
[06:35] | Jenny, I am Ellenor Frutt, I am your attorney here. | Jenny,我是Ellenor Frutt,我是你的辩护律师 |
[06:38] | And right now I am gonna go back there | 现在我要去后边一会儿 |
[06:40] | and I’m gonna talk to the Judge and the District Attorney | 我会和法官以及地检律师谈一下 |
[06:42] | and then I am gonna come back and talk to you, okay? | 随后我会返回来和你谈,好吗? |
[06:44] | Okay. | 好的 |
[06:46] | Ok, it’s very important that | 好,不要和任何人谈及此事, |
[06:48] | you don’t talk to anybody about this, nobody. | 任何人,这点非常重要 |
[06:51] | All right. I’ll be back in a few minutes. | 好了,我几分钟后回来 |
[07:11] | It’s a prior bad act, inadmissible on the… | 这是“过往劣迹”,在这案子中不能被接受。。。 |
[07:12] | It goes to pattern, Your Honour. | 这证实其为一种模式,法官大人 |
[07:14] | She killed her last husband; she killed this one. | 她杀了她上一个丈夫,她又杀了这一个 |
[07:16] | She killed neither, and two cannot make a pattern any way. | 她谁也没杀,而且就算两个无论如何不能成为一种模式 |
[07:18] | She could have killed her first husband as well, | 她也许还杀了她第一个丈夫 |
[07:20] | that would make three. | 那就是三个了 |
[07:21] | Her first husband died of cancer, what are you saying? | 她第一任丈夫死于癌症,你怎么说? |
[07:23] | She’s clever. | 她很聪明 |
[07:25] | Settle down. I’ll remove you all if I have to. | 安静下来,有必要的话我会把你们都哄出去 |
[07:29] | Your Honour, my client was never charged | 法官大人,我的客户从未被指控过 |
[07:31] | -with the murder of her previous husband -She was and still is a suspect | -谋杀了她的前任丈夫 -她仍然是嫌犯 |
[07:33] | to allow the prosecution to argue this. | 允许控方对此举证 |
[07:34] | Three marriages; three dead husbands. | 三次婚姻,死了三个丈夫 |
[07:36] | That’s a pattern. | 那就是一种模式 |
[07:38] | I am going to allow it. | 我打算准许 |
[07:40] | Appealed. | 抗议 |
[07:41] | So noted.Anything else? | 记录在案,还有别的事吗? |
[07:42] | No, Your Honour. | 没有,法官大人 |
[07:43] | Is the Commonwealth ready for trial? | 联邦政府准备好庭审吗? |
[07:45] | Ready, Your Honour. | 准备好了,法官大人 |
[07:46] | Mr. Donnell? | Donnell先生? |
[07:47] | Ready. | 准备好了 |
[07:48] | Tow o’clock, till then. | 两点钟,到那时开始 |
[07:53] | I am not sure that was your ** try. | 我不确定你努力尝试了 |
[07:56] | Just preserving the objection for appeal. | 只是保留上诉的反对理由 |
[07:58] | The truth is I want them to introduce this stuff. | 事实上,我想让他们介绍一下这些事情。 |
[08:01] | Why? | 为什么? |
[08:02] | Because it’s been on the papers for months, | 因为几个月来报纸上都有这些东西 |
[08:04] | there is no way those jurors haven’t heard of it. | 陪审员们不可能没听到过 |
[08:06] | We’ll need to address it accordingly. | 我们需要随机应变 |
[08:08] | They’re not calling you black widow because you like bugs. | |
[08:15] | She was thrown out of the house by her mother, | 她被她妈妈赶出家 |
[08:17] | she never had a father; she is 15 years old. | 她没有父亲,15岁 |
[08:19] | I…I just like to do this quietly | 我。。。我只想低调处理此事 |
[08:21] | before it become the front page | 在这件事肯定能成为 |
[08:22] | of the Metro Session which it would be. | 报纸的都市专栏头版之前 |
[08:25] | What’s your offer? | 你提出的条件是? |
[08:27] | I’ll give you involuntary manslaughter, three years. | 过失杀人,刑期三年 |
[08:29] | That way she is out when she’s 18 instead of 21. | 这样的话,她出狱的时候是18岁,而不是21岁 |
[08:32] | She might have a shattered life. | 她的生活可能有些破碎 |
[08:35] | Well, I need to look at her file, I’ll talk it over with her. | 好吧,我需要看一下她的档案,我会和她讨论一下 |
[08:37] | But that sounds great. | 但听起来还行 |
[08:41] | Ms. Gamble said she’d help me. | Gamble女士说过她会帮我的 |
[08:42] | She is, Jenny, trust me. | 她帮了,Jenny,相信我 |
[08:44] | Involuntary manslaughter is a very good offer | 鉴于这事发生在你预产期前三个月 |
[08:47] | considering this happened in you third trimester. | 过失杀人是一个很好的条件了 |
[08:50] | You could be out by the time you are 18. | 你18岁的时候就可以出去了。 |
[08:52] | And even if we went to trial and won on diminished capacity, | 而且即使我们上庭,用行为能力下降理由辩护成功 |
[08:55] | you are still looking at as much time. | 你仍然会得到同样的刑期 |
[08:59] | So I should plead guilty? | 所以我应该认罪? |
[09:01] | Well, first I want you to undergo a psychiatric exam. | 嗯,首先我希望你做一个精神检查 |
[09:04] | Then I’d like to review your statement | 然后我稍微多复查一下 |
[09:06] | in the police report a little more, but… | 你在警察提供的报告中的有关陈述,但。。。 |
[09:10] | yes, it’s an excellent deal | 是的,这是一个很好的交易条件 |
[09:12] | and I think we should jump at it. | 我认为我们应该抓住这个机会 |
[09:22] | Has your mom come to see you yet? | 你妈妈还没来看过你吗? |
[09:26] | I don’t think she even knows. | 我觉得她甚至还不知道 |
[09:31] | Could you tell her? | 你可以通知她吗? |
[09:33] | Sure. | 当然可以 |
[09:36] | I am gonna get Lucy Hatcher, my assistant | 我会让我助理Lucy Hatcher |
[09:38] | to come in and talk to you. | 来和你谈谈 |
[09:39] | We are gonna need to get you some new clothes for court, okay? | 我们有必要给你带点出庭时需要的新衣服,好吗? |
[09:43] | All right. | 好的 |
[09:46] | I am gonna be in touch. | 我会保持联系的 |
[10:03] | And were you able to determine the cause of death, Doctor? | 你能确定死因吗,医生? |
[10:05] | Acute cardiac arrest. | 急性心搏骤停 |
[10:07] | You did toxicology tests? | 你做过毒物学测试吗? |
[10:09] | We did. | 我们做了 |
[10:10] | Anything remarkable on those tests? | 测试发现有何异常? |
[10:12] | We found traces of the drug commonly known as Viagra. | 我们发现了俗称伟哥的药物的残迹 |
[10:15] | I never ever prescript Viagra for Jerry. | 我从来没有给Jerry开过伟哥的药方 |
[10:18] | Did you ever talk about Viagra with him? | 你和他谈及过伟哥吗? |
[10:20] | Yes, we did. | 是的,我们谈过 |
[10:22] | And I told him on no uncertain terms | 我毫不含糊地告诉过他 |
[10:24] | taking that drug would be a death sentence. | 吃那个药就等于死刑判决 |
[10:27] | Why is that, doctor? | 那是为什么,医生? |
[10:28] | Jerry had a weak heart. | Jerry心脏很差 |
[10:30] | He’d gone through two separate by pass operations. | 他做过两次旁路手术 |
[10:33] | The very last thing he should had been taken | 而他最后做的一件事应该就是 |
[10:35] | is a pill to facilitate sexual marathons. | 吃了一颗保持性欲持久的药丸 |
[10:38] | The reason you were talking about Viagra with Jerry Hanson | 你和Jerry Hanson谈论伟哥的原因 |
[10:41] | is because he wanted it, | 是因为他想吃伟哥 |
[10:42] | isn’t that right, doctor? | 不对吗,医生? |
[10:44] | -Yes, but I… -Thank you. | – 是的,但我。。。 – 谢谢你 |
[10:45] | And in addition to being jerry Hanson’s doctor, | 而且除了是jerry Hanson的医生外, |
[10:47] | were you also his friend? | 你也是他的朋友? |
[10:49] | Yes, I was. | 是的,我是他朋友 |
[10:50] | His death was very upsetting for you? | 他的死让你很难过? |
[10:52] | Do they teach that in law school? | 法律学校教过这些? |
[10:53] | It’s upsetting when friends die? | 朋友死了会让人难过? |
[10:55] | Doctor. | 医生 |
[10:57] | Of course I am upset. | 当然我会难过 |
[10:58] | And if you believe my client was responsible for his death, | 如果你确信我的委托人要对他的死负责的话 |
[11:01] | you wanna see her convicted, wouldn’t you? | 你是乐于看到她被判有罪,你不是吗? |
[11:03] | Objection! | 反对! |
[11:04] | Goes to bias. | 证实其为偏见 |
[11:04] | You’ve made the point, move on. | 你已经表达清楚了,继续 |
[11:07] | Doctor, you said Jerry wanted to perform better with my client. | 医生,你说Jerry和我的委托人有更好的表现 |
[11:11] | Yes. | 是的 |
[11:12] | Sexually perform? | 性方面的? |
[11:13] | Yes, sexually perform. | 是的,性行为方面 |
[11:15] | She wanted him to perform better and he wanted to perform better. | 她希望他做得更好,而且他也想这样 |
[11:19] | She played these mind games with him, made him feel inadequate. | 她跟他玩心理游戏,使他觉得自己不够胜任。 |
[11:23] | Well, if he were feeling inadequate, | 那好,如果他觉得自己不够胜任 |
[11:25] | could that be why he wanted the Viagra? | 也许这就是为什么他想吃伟哥? |
[11:26] | Possibly.But I… | 或许,但是我。。。 |
[11:27] | And you wouldn’t give it to him. | 而你没有给他伟哥 |
[11:28] | You made no room for the possibility, | 你弄得这事一点余地也没有 |
[11:30] | that he might go get it someplace else. | 那他也许就从别的什么地方搞到了 |
[11:32] | Well, why was it ground up and put into wine? | 即便如此,为什么药是研磨之后掺到红酒里的? |
[11:35] | Move to strike. | 请求排除证词 |
[11:36] | If he want to take it… | 如果他自己想吃。。。 |
[11:37] | Move to strike. | 请求排除证词 |
[11:37] | -She laced the wine and killed him. -Move to strike. | – 她给酒下了药,然后杀了他 – 请求排除证词 |
[11:40] | That’s enough. | 够了! |
[11:43] | Doctor, did you advised Jerry Hanson | 医生,你建议Jerry Hanson |
[11:47] | to refrain from sexual intercourse altogether? | 彻底避免性生活吗? |
[11:50] | No, I told him to be very careful and take it slow. | 没有,我告诉他要很小心,做的时候要慢些 |
[11:56] | Oh then, why couldn’t he take the drug 251 00:11:56,561 –> 00:12:00,370 just to help him perform but carefully and slowly? | 噢,那么除了小心点慢点外, 他为什么不能吃点伟哥只是给自己提供一些帮助? |
[12:01] | People with heart conditions do use this drug sometimes, | 心脏有问题的人有时也用伟哥 |
[12:04] | isn’t it right, doctor? | 不对吗,医生? |
[12:05] | Yes, but I didn’t think it was indicated for Jerry. | 这是对的,但是我不认为这个适合Jerry |
[12:09] | Why not? | 为什么不? |
[12:09] | Because knowing Jerry, I was afraid he would try to keep up with her. | 因为对Jerry的了解,我怕他会尽力跟上她的节奏 |
[12:14] | And add Viagra, his heart might give out before… | 再加上伟哥,他的心脏可能会停跳。。。 |
[12:18] | And knowing Jerry’s nature, he wouldn’t have the sense to stop, | 基于对Jerry的性格了解,他不会有停下来的意识 |
[12:22] | was that your fear? | 这就是你的担忧? |
[12:23] | Yes. | 是的 |
[12:24] | Thank you, doctor. | 谢谢你,医生 |
[12:32] | Ms. Holbrook? | Holbrook女士? |
[12:33] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[12:34] | My name is Ellenor Frutt, I am an attorney. | 我是Ellenor Frutt,我是一个律师 |
[12:36] | What do you want? | 你要干嘛? |
[12:38] | I am afraid I have some bad news. | 恐怕我有些坏消息 |
[12:41] | She dead? | 她死了? |
[12:43] | Who? | 谁? |
[12:44] | Jenny. | Jenny. |
[12:45] | Oh, no, no no no, she’s not dead. | 噢,不不不,她没死 |
[12:48] | But her baby is, and she has been charged with its death. | 但是她的胎儿死了,她因此被指控 |
[12:51] | She’s in custody now and I am representing her. | 她现在被拘捕,我代理她。 |
[12:53] | What’s gonna happen to her? | 她会怎么样? |
[12:56] | Well, she may have to go to a juvenile detention centre until she’s 18, | 呃,她可能要到少年拘留中心,直到她18岁 |
[12:59] | that’s what we are hoping for. | 这是我们所希望的 |
[13:01] | Three years, a baby lasts a lot longer than that, | 三年,婴儿(造成的麻烦)可比这长多了 |
[13:06] | she made out good. | 她做得对 |
[13:09] | Yeah. | 嗯 |
[13:21] | We tested the wine, | 我们对红酒进行了测试 |
[13:22] | the results indicated there were remnants of Viagra in it. | 结果显示其中有伟哥的残留 |
[13:25] | And what, if any, conclusions did you draw from this, detective? | 你从这些中得出了什么结论-如果有的话-警探? |
[13:29] | That the Viagra had been grounded up and put into the wine. | 伟哥是被研磨后掺入红酒的 |
[13:32] | Her previous husband, Mr. Carter, died of an insulin overdoes. | 她以前的丈夫,Carter先生,死于胰岛素过量 |
[13:35] | Accidental? | 事故? |
[13:37] | There was evidence of the report that he was killed by the defendant, | 有证据表明他是被被告杀害的 |
[13:40] | who was still married to him at the time. | 尽管那时她已经嫁给了他 |
[13:41] | What evidence? | 什么证据? |
[13:42] | He was a diabetic, he gave himself insulin injections daily | 他是糖尿病患者,他每天给自己注射胰岛素 |
[13:46] | and had been for years without incident. | 持续几年来没有发生问题 |
[13:49] | And here we had a massive overdose. | 但我们所发现的过量是非常严重的 |
[13:52] | It was hard for us to believe | 我们很难相信 |
[13:53] | that he could have made such a huge mistake. | 他会犯这么大的错误 |
[13:55] | Laden fingerprints on the syringe match the defendant. | 注射器上的指纹和被告吻合 |
[13:59] | She inherited under the will which gave financial motive. | 她可以通过遗嘱获得继承权,这构成了财务上的动机 |
[14:02] | You never charged Mrs. Hansen with Mr. Carter’s death. | 你从未因Carter先生的死亡而指控Hansen夫人 |
[14:05] | No, we were never able to collect enough evidence. | 没有,我们我们从来没有能够收集足够的证据 |
[14:08] | In fact, the truth is you had no evidence, | 事实上,你们没有证据 |
[14:10] | other than your suspicion, isn’t that right, Detective? | 除了你的怀疑外,不对吗,警探 |
[14:13] | Her prints were on the syringe. | 注射器上有她的指纹 |
[14:14] | She could have handed him the syringe like she said, possible? | 如她所说,她把注射器递给他的,这有可能吧? |
[14:19] | Possible. | 有可能 |
[14:22] | We are missing something. | 我们漏掉了什么 |
[14:23] | Why? | 为什么? |
[14:24] | Their case is lousy. | 他们的案子是很蹩脚的 |
[14:26] | It’s all circumstantial and innuendo, | 都是些描述性和暗示性的证据 |
[14:28] | Marcia Scott is a smart DA. | Marcia Scott是个精明的检查官 |
[14:31] | and she hasn’t put anything on the table. | 她还没有把所有证据拿出来 |
[14:34] | We are missing something. | 我们漏掉了什么 |
[14:37] | Courtney, Courtney? | |
[14:42] | are we? | 我们漏了什么吗? |
[14:43] | No. I mean… | 没有,我是说。。。 |
[14:44] | What’s his son gonna say? | 他儿子会怎么说? |
[14:46] | Just what we talked about. | 只是我们谈到过的 |
[14:47] | But he’s had an agenda from the beginning; | 但是他最初就有一个看法 |
[14:49] | he never even wanted me to marry his father in the first place. | 他甚至从一开始就不希望我嫁给他父亲 |
[14:52] | Why? | 为什么? |
[14:54] | He was afraid I’d kill him. | 他怕我会杀了他父亲 |
[14:56] | Because of all the suspicion around my previous husbands’ death. | 因为围绕着我的那些对我前夫死因的怀疑 |
[15:01] | Well, they must think he as some kind of witness | 好吧,我们必须把他当成不同寻常的证人 |
[15:03] | because they’re resting on his testimony. | 因为他们依靠的是他的证词 |
[15:06] | We’re missing something. | 我们漏掉了些什么 |
[15:09] | They could rest by midday tomorrow, so, | 他们可以在明天中午结束举证,所以 |
[15:11] | let’s go over your testimony. | 让我们过一遍你的出庭作证 |
[15:13] | I go first? | 我先作证? |
[15:14] | You’re first and last, you’re all we have. | 你是第一个也是最后一个,你是我们仅有的证人 |
[15:24] | How did it go? | 完事了吗? |
[15:26] | All right. | 完事了 |
[15:27] | Did you tell her mother? | 你告诉她妈妈了吗? |
[15:29] | Yeah. You know what she said? | 是的,你知道她怎么说? |
[15:30] | Three years, not too bad, | 三年,不坏 |
[15:31] | a baby last longer than three years. | 一个婴儿拖得比三年还长 |
[15:35] | Ellenor, Helen told her she could leave. | Ellenor,Helen告诉过她会没事的 |
[15:38] | She also told Jenny about her own abortion | 她还告诉Jenny关于她自己流产的事 |
[15:40] | and how she needed to talk about it. | 以及她是如何需要倾诉出来 |
[15:44] | I think she was tricked into that confession. | 我想她是在套供词 |
[15:50] | She told you she had an abortion? | 她告诉你她流过产? |
[15:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[15:52] | And what else? | 还有别的吗? |
[15:53] | Just so hard it was for her | 还有这对她是多么的艰难 |
[15:55] | and how she made it worse by keeping it all inside. | 还有把这些憋在心里会让事情更糟 |
[15:58] | She said it would be better for me to tell her | 她说如果我告诉她的话,会有好处 |
[16:02] | and that if I did, she’d make sure I could leave jail. | 如果我按她的做了,她确保我能离开监狱 |
[16:05] | What else? | 还有别的吗? |
[16:05] | She just kept saying how you know, | 她就是不断地说 |
[16:07] | she understood how I would want to make the baby go away, | 她理解我有多么希望没有这个婴儿 |
[16:11] | and how my life… | 而且我的生活。。。 |
[16:15] | I thought she’d help me. | 我想她会帮我 |
[16:18] | She never said I would be convicted of murder, | 她从未说过我会被判谋杀罪 |
[16:22] | she never said that. | 她从未说过 |
[16:35] | My first husband? How was he relevant? | 我第一个丈夫?跟他有什么关系? |
[16:38] | Well, we have to cover the old thing. | 呃,我们不得不翻些陈年旧帐 |
[16:41] | All your husbands were years older, | 你所有的丈夫都是年纪较大的 |
[16:43] | it’s a question the jury will be asking and I’d like to answer it. | 这是一个陪审员会问而且我想回答的问题 |
[16:48] | It’s not something I really want to get into on the witness stand | 没有什么事情是我想在证人席上谈的 |
[16:51] | in front of a roomful of reporters. | 还当着满屋子的记者的面儿 |
[16:53] | Well, get into it now, | 好吧,那现在谈一下 |
[16:55] | I’ll decide whether it’s useful or not. | 我来判断一下哪些有用 |
[17:01] | I…er… | 我。。。 |
[17:04] | began to develop when I was 11. | 我11岁就开始发育了 |
[17:07] | My older brother’s friends were copping feels | 我哥哥的朋友们在我12岁时 |
[17:09] | by the time when I was 12. | 就对我伸咸猪手 |
[17:11] | When I was 15 college guys were hitting on me. | 在我15岁的时候,大学男生就挑逗我 |
[17:13] | Even now, your colleague, Mr. Berluti, | 即使现在,你的同事,Berluti先生 |
[17:18] | and even you… | 甚至你。。。 |
[17:21] | have your thoughts. | 都有想法 |
[17:25] | Me? Wh..wh..what have I done? | 我?我做了什。。。什。。。什么? |
[17:27] | It’s beside the point. | 有些跑题了 |
[17:28] | The point is | 问题在于 |
[17:31] | I’ve been on my guard with men my whole life. | 我一生都在一直防着男人 |
[17:35] | The only man I ever felt safe with growing up was my dad. | 长大后唯一让我感到安全的男人是我的父亲 |
[17:40] | So, I suppose on some level, | 因此,我想在某种程度上 |
[17:44] | my attraction to older men is more about | 我对老年人的吸引力更多是因为 |
[17:50] | I’ve been drown to the safety of… | 我一直沉浸于追求安全感。。。 |
[17:55] | I don’t know. | 我说不清 |
[17:57] | I…I hope that you don’t feel that I’ve been… | 我。。。我希望你不要有那种感觉,我会。。。 |
[18:01] | You’ve been nothing but totally professional. | 你除了纯专业之外还没有想些别的什么 |
[18:04] | But I know when a man is attracted to me, | 但是当一个男人被我吸引的时候,我会知道的 |
[18:06] | sometimes is even before he does. | 有时,甚至在他被我吸引之前,我就知道了 |
[18:14] | Ellenor, you didn’t tell her? | Ellenor,你没有告诉她? |
[18:15] | I don’t wanna her prepared. | 我不想让她有准备 |
[18:17] | 32622, Commonwealth versus Jenifer Holbrook, | 32622,联邦指控Jenifer Holbrook |
[18:20] | Murder in the first degree. | 一级谋杀罪行 |
[18:22] | Your Honour, both parties offer joint recommendation | 法官大人,控辩双方联合提交建议 |
[18:24] | as we discussed in conference. | 正如我们在会商中讨论的 |
[18:26] | I am sure Ms. Holbrook… | 我相信Holbrook女士。。。 |
[18:26] | Actually, Your Honour, defence rescinds such agreement on the plea, | 实际上,法官大人,辩方取消这样的认罪协议 |
[18:29] | and instead brings a motion to suppress Ms. Holbrook’s confession. | 代之以排除Holbrook女士证词的动议 |
[18:32] | Ellenor. Ellenor。 | |
[18:32] | On what grounds? | 基于什么? |
[18:33] | My client’s statement was a result of coercion | 我的委托人的供词是受迫的 |
[18:36] | and was also obtained by violation of Fifth Amendment Rights. | 并且获取方法违反了第五修正案 |
[18:39] | What are you talking about? | 你在说什么? |
[18:39] | Miranda, my client didn’t understand… | 米兰达宣言,我的委托人不理解。。。 |
[18:41] | She was read her rights twice. | 对她宣读过两次 |
[18:43] | And then she was basically unread them, Helen. | 本质上她没有被宣读过,Helen |
[18:45] | What? | 什么? |
[18:46] | What’s going on here? | 怎么回事? |
[18:47] | Ms. Gamble told my client that if she gave her a statement | Gamble女士对我的委托人说如果她做出一个陈述 |
[18:50] | she would get to leave. | 她就可以走了 |
[18:51] | Basically, Your Honour, | 本质上讲,法官大人 |
[18:53] | where Miranda says anything you say maybe used against you, | 米兰达告知的是你说的任何话都可能对你不利 |
[18:56] | Ms. Gamble told her anything you say maybe used to help you. | Gamble女士告诉被告的是你说的任何事 将会对你有帮助 |
[19:00] | Ms. Holbrook is 15 years old, | Holbrook女士只有15岁 |
[19:02] | still in the thrills of a pretty big emotional wallop, | 当时仍然处于一个相当大的情感冲击的刺激中 |
[19:04] | and she believed the promises Ms. Gamble made. | 她相信了Gamble女士做出的承诺 |
[19:06] | Oh, come on. | 噢,拉倒吧 |
[19:07] | Have you ever had an abortion? | 你做过流产吗? |
[19:10] | She talked to my client about her very own abortion, | 她告诉我的委托人她自己恰好也流过产 |
[19:13] | in order to get Jenny to admit that she killed her unborn child. | 目的是为了让Jenny承认杀死了自己腹中的婴儿 |
[19:16] | The only thing that matters for the purpose of a confession | 获取供述的行为中唯一重要的是 |
[19:19] | is was the suspect read her rights | 是否嫌犯被宣读了她的权利 |
[19:21] | and did she make the statement voluntarily. | 和她是否自愿进行了陈述 |
[19:23] | She was, she did. | 她是的,她自愿的 |
[19:25] | And I contend she was confused in respect to her right, | 我认为她在尊重被告的权利方面是混乱的 |
[19:28] | deliberately confused and that the statement was not voluntary. | 蓄意混淆,而且供述不是出于自愿 |
[19:31] | All right. | 好了 |
[19:34] | I would like to see Ms. Holbrook in chambers please. | 我要请Holbrook女士到后庭谈一下 |
[19:37] | Excuse me? | 我没听错吧? |
[19:38] | You have a problem with me asking a few questions, Counsel? | 你对我想问几个问题这事有意见吗,律师? |
[19:44] | Nice ambush, Ellenor. | 好棒的伏击,Ellenor |
[19:45] | You know, don’t talk to me about ambush, Helen, you used me. | 你自己明白,别跟我说伏击的事,Helen,你利用了我 |
[19:48] | I did no such thing. | 没那回事儿 |
[19:49] | You figured I’d be less inclined to doubt your motives, | 你算计我不会想到去怀疑你的动机 |
[19:51] | I don’t like it. | 我不喜欢这样 |
[19:52] | My motive was to help that girl. | 我的动机是帮那个女孩 |
[19:54] | And what was it when you went into that room to interrogate her? | 你进到审讯室去审问她的时候,你的动机是什么? |
[19:56] | To get her statement. Having got a confession | 得到她的陈述,也已经得到了一个供述了 |
[19:59] | I did have compassion for her. | 我确实同情她 |
[20:00] | That is why I came to you. | 那也是我为什么找你来 |
[20:01] | I don’t know how in good conscious you could trick a 15-year-old… | 我不知道你怎么能那么气定神闲地欺骗一个15岁的孩子 |
[20:04] | Your client is a murderer, Ellenor. | 你的委托人是个凶手,Ellenor |
[20:07] | You are angry, I understand. | 你很生气,我理解 |
[20:08] | But don’t appeal to me on conscious. | 但等你气定神闲的时候,别来恳求我 |
[20:14] | I was suspicious of her from the very beginning. | 我从一开始就对她有怀疑 |
[20:16] | Why was that? | 那是为什么? |
[20:18] | My father was in his 70’s, frail. | 我父亲70岁了,身体虚弱 |
[20:21] | He wasn’t what anybody would call attractive, | 任何人都不会觉得他有吸引力 |
[20:24] | nor was he at all charming. | 一点也不迷人 |
[20:26] | And she falls in love with him? | 她居然爱上他? |
[20:27] | Did your father ever talk to you | 你父亲曾和你说起 |
[20:29] | about his relationship with the defendant? | 他和被告之间的关系吗? |
[20:31] | Sometimes. | 有时候 |
[20:32] | Specifically, what did he talk about? | 确切地说,谈到了什么? |
[20:35] | Specifically, sex. | 性方面 |
[20:37] | He said she was insatiable. | 他说她是无法满足的 |
[20:39] | He once said… | 他有一次说。。。 |
[20:40] | Objection, hearsay. | 反对,传闻证据 |
[20:41] | Did he ever seem upset when he spoke of sex? | 当他谈到性的时候,他是否曾显得心烦意乱? |
[20:44] | Once he was excited, yes. | 是的,有一次他情绪很激动 |
[20:46] | What did he say then? | 他之后说了什么? |
[20:47] | Objection! | 反对! |
[20:48] | Excited utterance, exception of the hearsay rule. | 激动情绪下的言语,不属于传闻范围 |
[20:50] | And he just happened to use that word “excited”? | 他就那么碰巧说出了“激动”这个词? |
[20:52] | This witness has been coached. | 证人是被训练过了 |
[20:54] | I object to that. | 我反对他这个说法 |
[20:55] | All right. | 好了 |
[20:57] | Mr. Donnell, your objection is overruled. Please sit. | Donnell先生,你的反对被驳回,请坐 |
[21:00] | The witness may answer the question. | 证人可以回答这个问题 |
[21:02] | What did your father tell you, Mr. Hansen? | 你父亲对你说了什么?Hansen先生? |
[21:05] | He said she would make love so physically sometimes, | 他说她做爱有时候性欲过强 |
[21:09] | it was violent, almost sadistic. | 那是暴力的,几乎是虐待狂 |
[21:13] | He wondered whether she was trying to give him a heart attack. | 他拿不准是不是她想让他犯心脏病 |
[21:17] | What else, sir? | 还说了别的吗? |
[21:19] | He said she taunted him during sex, | 他说她在做爱的时候嘲笑他 |
[21:23] | taunted him to go harder, like some weird psychological punishment. | 逼着他去更努力做爱,像是一种怪诞的心理惩戒 |
[21:30] | I have nothing further, Your Honour. | 我没问题了,法官大人 |
[21:38] | Did she say I am going to put Viagra in his wine | 她说过要把伟哥掺到他红酒中 |
[21:41] | and then make love to him till he suffers a coronary, | 然后和他做爱直到他产生冠状动脉血栓? |
[21:44] | coz that would be good testimony, Mr. Hansen. | 因为这是绝佳的证词,Hansen先生 |
[21:46] | Maybe you should have her say that. | 也许你应该让她这么说 |
[21:48] | Objection! | 反对! |
[21:48] | Withdrawn. | 撤回 |
[21:50] | Did your father feel his life was in danger? | 你父亲感到他的生命有危险吗? |
[21:52] | Well, I think a little he did. | 嗯,我想他有一点 |
[21:54] | Did you take him seriously? | 你是当真关心他吗? |
[21:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[21:56] | Did you notify the police, talk to my client, express your concern? | 你通知过警察或者和我的委托人沟通以表达你的担忧吗? |
[22:00] | No. | 没有 |
[22:01] | So you weren’t concerned. | 所以你不担心 |
[22:03] | You took the danger seriously, but it didn’t concern you? | 你当这危险很严重,但你并不担忧? |
[22:05] | What was I supposed to do? | 我能怎么办? |
[22:06] | Go to the police and say: | 去找警察说: |
[22:07] | Hey, I think my step-mother is trying to intercourse my farther to death? | 嘿,我认为我继母试图把我父亲操死? |
[22:12] | If you were concerned, yes. | 是的,如果你对此担忧的话 |
[22:15] | Tell me, Mr. Hansen, | Hansen先生,告诉我 |
[22:16] | If my client is convicted of murder, | 如果我的委托人定为谋杀罪 |
[22:19] | and becomes disqualified from the inheritence | 从而失去了继承权 |
[22:21] | who then takes under the will? | 根据遗嘱,谁会获得继承权? |
[22:23] | That would be me. | 那应该是我吧 |
[22:24] | That would be you. | 那就会是你。 |
[22:26] | Do you think I am sitting in this chair today because of money? | 你认为我今天出庭作证时因为钱? |
[22:29] | That’s exactly what I think. | 我确实是那么想的 |
[22:30] | I think you are a liar, | 我认为你是个撒谎的 |
[22:31] | Objection. | 反对! |
[22:31] | I think your testimony was false, calculated. | 我认为你的证词是虚假的,攻于心计的 |
[22:33] | Objection! | 反对! |
[22:34] | Are you lying to get your father’s money? | 你是通过谎言去攫取你父亲的钱吗? |
[22:35] | Counsel. | 律师。 |
[22:36] | It’s just a little too damn convenient for me, I am sorry. | 对我来说这有点太他妈的方便了,抱歉 |
[22:39] | My client is being charged with murder for inducing a heart attack, | 我的委托人被指控诱导心脏病发作 |
[22:42] | and you get up here and say: | 而你跳出来说: |
[22:43] | Gee, my farther told me he was afraid she’d give him a heart attack | 哇,我的父亲跟我说过他怕被她弄出心脏病来 |
[22:46] | when you never said that to anybody before, Mr. Hansen. | 你之前从来没有跟任何人说过这事,Hansen先生 |
[22:49] | And you remember to add he was excited when he said it | 但你却没忘记在他说这事的时候加上一个“激动” |
[22:52] | to get around the hearsay rule, | 以便绕开传闻证据的限制 |
[22:53] | well, probably at the District Attorney’s coaching. | 好吧,也许是接受了检察官的传授 |
[22:56] | Objection! | 反对! |
[22:56] | It’s just a little too convenient. | 这就是有点太方便了 |
[22:58] | He’s badgering. | 他在纠缠证人 |
[22:59] | Damn right I am; I badger liars. | 我他妈的就是猜对了,我讨厌撒谎者 |
[23:01] | Mr. Young, that’s enough. | Young先生,够了 |
[23:03] | You said she makes love in a violent way. | 你说她以暴力的方式做爱 |
[23:05] | That’s what he said, she… | 他说的,她。。。 |
[23:07] | What’s violent to a 70-year-old man? | 对于一个七十多岁的老人,什么算暴力? |
[23:09] | I don’t know. | 我不知道 |
[23:09] | Well, did you ask? | 那么,你问了吗? |
[23:12] | Your father says violent, | 你的父亲说那是暴力 |
[23:13] | you don’t follow that up and say: | 你没有接着问: |
[23:14] | Dad, what do you mean? | 爸爸,你什么意思? |
[23:16] | I wish I had. | 我希望我问了 |
[23:17] | You said she taunts, she’s sadistic, | 你说她嘲笑他,她是虐待狂 |
[23:20] | she psychologically punishes him, | 她对他进行心理虐待 |
[23:22] | and you don’t even go to her and say what’s going on? | 但你甚至没有去找她问发生了什么? |
[23:24] | What kind of caring son are you? | 你到底是哪一种有关爱心的儿子? |
[23:26] | Maybe I should have done… | 也许我应该。。。 |
[23:28] | -Do you know what perjuries is, Craig? -Objection! | -你知道伪证罪是什么吗? -反对! |
[23:29] | You are under oath here. | 你是发过誓的 |
[23:31] | Mr. Young. | Young先生 |
[23:37] | I am done. | 我完事了 |
[23:48] | And since, you know, she was an attorney, | 因为,你知道的,她是个律师 |
[23:51] | I thought… | 我想。。。 |
[23:53] | I thought she would make it so I could leave. | 我想她能做些什么让我出去 |
[23:56] | But when you signed this statement? | 你什么时候签署这份陈述的? |
[23:58] | She said that if I told them exactly what happened | 她说如果我告诉他们到底发生了什么 |
[24:03] | it would be better for me by not keeping stuff inside, | 不把事情埋藏到心里,会让情况好些 |
[24:07] | and I… | 我。。。 |
[24:08] | She told you she had an abortion? | 她跟你说过她流过产? |
[24:10] | Yes. | 是的 |
[24:12] | And how terrible it was for her | 还说那对她是多么的可怕 |
[24:13] | that she kept stuff buried inside and… | 她缄口不谈埋藏在心里。。。 |
[24:18] | You lied to me. | 你对我撒谎了 |
[24:19] | I trusted you and you lied to me. | 我信任你,而你骗了我 |
[24:22] | All right, Jenny, | 好了,Jenny |
[24:23] | the detectives told you, did they not, | 警探们有没有告诉你 |
[24:26] | that the things you said could be used against you in a court of law | 你所说的可能会作为对你不利的呈堂证供 |
[24:31] | Yes. | 说过 |
[24:34] | But then she came in and she is an attorney, | 但是随后她进来说她是个律师 |
[24:36] | and she said they wouldn’t be. | 她说他们不会这样做的 |
[24:43] | Jenny, I think I’d like you to wait outside for a minute. | Jenny,我想我要你到外面等几分钟 |
[24:51] | Keep her here please. | 请让她在那里等 |
[24:58] | Aren’t we resourceful? | 鬼点子够多的呀? |
[25:01] | None of her civil rights were violated. | 她的公民权利都没有受到侵犯 |
[25:03] | Did you have an abortion? | 你流过产马? |
[25:07] | No. Tricks are used in interrogations all the time. | 没有,但在审讯中一直都会使用各种招数 |
[25:10] | This was a lie. | 这是一个谎言 |
[25:11] | Lies too. | 是大谎言 |
[25:13] | There is nothing unconstitutional about lying to a suspect | 向一个嫌犯撒谎并不违宪 |
[25:17] | so long as they understand their rights, | 只要他们了解自己的权利 |
[25:20] | which she did. | 她是了解的 |
[25:20] | I disagree with that, she didn’t understand her rights. | 我不同意这点,她不了解自己的权利 |
[25:23] | Oh, come on, | 噢,拉倒吧 |
[25:24] | look, we can all try to get inside this girl’s head | 你们看,我们想钻到她脑袋里去找到事实 |
[25:26] | but that’s not the way it goes. | 但是那是做不到的 |
[25:29] | We have constitutional dos and don’ts, | 我们有关于宪法的行为准则 |
[25:30] | we didn’t commit any of the don’ts. | 我们没有违反任何不该做的规定 |
[25:32] | The statement is valid and admissible. | 这个陈述是有效和可采信的 |
[25:35] | That’s my decision. | 我的决定是 |
[25:37] | I am going to think about it. | 我会去考虑一下 |
[25:44] | We’ll reconvene at 2 o’clock. | 两点钟再次传唤 |
[25:48] | May I say something? | 我能说说吗? |
[25:50] | You’re all thinking about Jenny Holbrook. | 你全都是在考虑Jenny Holbrook |
[25:53] | I wasn’t called in to talk to Jenny Holbrook. | 我不是被叫进来和Jenny Holbrook交谈 |
[25:56] | I was brought down to question a murder suspect, | 我是被叫下去讯问一个谋杀嫌疑犯 |
[26:00] | a suspect who killed a baby, | 一个杀了一个婴儿的嫌犯 |
[26:02] | a suspect who wouldn’t talk to the police. | 一个不向警察开口的嫌犯 |
[26:04] | Now, the morality of how I tricked her has no relevance. | 现在,和我如何套取口供的道德问题没有关联性 |
[26:09] | This isn’t a moral arena, it is a legal one. | 这不是道德层面,这是法律问题 |
[26:12] | And everything I did was legal, | 而且我做的每件事都是合法的 |
[26:14] | and she has this back story, | 她是有背景故事 |
[26:16] | and a fragile personality, and abusive mother, | 脆弱的个性,施虐的母亲 |
[26:20] | it all seems just so awful now. | 现在这一切看起来都非常糟糕 |
[26:22] | Here’s a flash, killers don’t like to talk. | 凶手不想说话 |
[26:26] | It’s not easy getting these confessions. | 得到供认是非常难的 |
[26:29] | Tag a bunch of moral strings now on top of the constitutional ones, | 现在再在宪法上附加一长串道德标签 |
[26:33] | we will never get anybody. | 我们就谁也抓不到了 |
[26:49] | He brought the Viagra. | 是他买的伟哥 |
[26:50] | Your husband did? | 你的丈夫吗? |
[26:51] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:52] | Did he say where he’d gotten it? | 他说了从哪里搞到的? |
[26:54] | No. | 没有 |
[26:54] | And then you put it in the wine? | 然后你把它放到红酒里了? |
[26:56] | Yes. | 是的 |
[26:57] | He had 50 milligrams one pill and 594 | 一颗药丸有50毫克, |
[27:03] | that women got benefits from taking it too, so | 就是说女人们吃了也能因此受益。所以。。。 |
[27:06] | more for a laugh than anything else, we ground up the pill, | 不说这些笑谈的事了,我们了碾碎药丸 |
[27:09] | and we sprinkled it into our wine. | 撒到我们的红酒里 |
[27:11] | And then? | 之后呢? |
[27:12] | After dinner, we watched some television then we went to bed, | 晚饭后,我们看了会儿电视,然后上床 |
[27:17] | and we made love. | 我们开始做爱 |
[27:18] | And the effects of the Viagra? | 伟哥有效吗? |
[27:21] | Well, it definitely works. | 不错,确实起作用 |
[27:24] | And at some point? | 在某些时候? |
[27:26] | Jerry gripped his chest. | Jerry抓自己胸部 |
[27:28] | He was having a heart attack. | 他有心脏病 |
[27:31] | I called 911 before I am CPR, | 对我对他进行心脏复苏前,我拨打了911 |
[27:34] | but by the time the paramedics got there, | 但等到救护人员到达的时候 |
[27:37] | he was gone. | 他已经死了 |
[27:41] | There’s been testimony that you were extremely physical, | 有证词称你性欲非常强 |
[27:45] | and that you taunted… | 并且你嘲笑。。。 |
[27:46] | That’s completely false. Craig Hansen was lying, | 那完全是虚假的,Craig Hansen在撒谎 |
[27:48] | his father never said those things to him. | 他父亲从没有对他说过这些 |
[27:51] | Our love making was never very physical, | 我们做爱从不非常剧烈 |
[27:53] | it was certainly not violent. | 自然更没有暴力 |
[27:55] | My husband had a heart condition and we were always mindful of it, | 我的丈夫有心脏病所以我们总是留心这点 |
[27:59] | both of us. | 我们俩都是 |
[28:00] | You say your husband brought the Viagra? | 你说是你的丈夫提供的伟哥? |
[28:03] | That’s right. | 是的 |
[28:04] | Did you ever get Viagra from your Doctor? | 你曾从你的医生那里拿到过伟哥吗? |
[28:07] | No. | 没有 |
[28:08] | Ever talked to her about the virtues of Viagra for women? | 曾经和她谈过伟哥对女人的用处吗? |
[28:11] | Well, yes, we had discussed that. | 嗯,是的,我们谈过这事 |
[28:13] | Okay. I have nothing further, Your Honour. | 好吧,我没有问题了,法官大人 |
[28:20] | Counsel. | 律师 |
[28:22] | The witness may step down. | 证人可以离席了 |
[28:26] | Mr. Donnell. | Donnell先生 |
[28:28] | The defence rest, Your Honour. | 被告举证完毕,法官大人 |
[28:30] | The Commonwealth calls one rebuttal witness, Doctor Gail Parrent. | 控方传唤反驳证人,Gail Parrent医生 |
[28:37] | Who is she? | 她是谁? |
[28:39] | She’s my doctor. | 她是我的医生 |
[28:43] | Defence object, Your Honour, side bar. | 辩方反对,法官大人,庭边商议 |
[28:52] | This is my client’s own doctor. | 这是我委托人自己的医生 |
[28:54] | What’s your offer of prove? | 你要提供什么证词? |
[28:56] | She’s prepared to testify she gave the defendant Viagra samples | 她准备要作证称她给过被告伟哥样品 |
[28:59] | two days before Jerry Hansen died. | Jerry Hansen死前的两天前 |
[29:12] | -It’s privileged doctor-patient relationship. -She waived privilege, she opened the door. | -这是属于医患双方保密协议的 -她放弃了特权,她开了这扇门 |
[29:16] | How? | 怎么讲? |
[29:16] | During her testimony, she had the right to assert privilege, | 在她作证时,她有权维持此项特权 |
[29:19] | she didn’t, she talked about her doctor when I asked… | 而她没有,她在我提问的时候谈到了她的医生 |
[29:21] | That is so bogus. | 这也太作假了 |
[29:22] | You can’t selectively assert privilege, Your Honour, | 你不能有选择性地主张特权,法官大人 |
[29:25] | the woman did answer questions about things | 这个女人回答了有关针对 |
[29:27] | she discussed with her physician. | 她和她医生所讨论的事的问题 |
[29:29] | I am going to allow it. | 我会准许这个证人 |
[29:30] | You gotta be kidding me. | 你跟我开玩笑吧 |
[29:31] | She opened the door. | 她打开了这扇门 |
[29:38] | I knew we’ve missing something. That was the ace. | 我知道我们漏掉了什么,那就是王牌 |
[29:47] | You got the Viagra from your own doctor? | 你从你自己医生那里拿到过伟哥? |
[29:49] | I was afraid of how it would look if… | 我怕那会看起来像是。。。 |
[29:52] | People would think that I put it in his wine. | 人们会想是我把伟哥放到红酒里的 |
[29:55] | Did you? | 你放了吗? |
[29:56] | No, it happened exactly as I said. | 没有,实际情况就是我说的那样 |
[29:58] | It didn’t happen as you said. | 不是像你说的那样 |
[30:00] | You got the Viagra and now they caught you in a lie. | 你得到了伟哥,而且现在他们抓到你在撒谎 |
[30:03] | Our whole case was your testimony, your credibility, | 我们整个案子都在于你的证词,你的可信度 |
[30:06] | and now it’s shut | 而现在全砸了 |
[30:07] | Don’t yell at me. | 别冲我喊 |
[30:08] | You lied to us, Courtney. | 你对我们撒谎了,Courtney |
[30:09] | I didn’t kill him, we were making love, I didn’t kill him. | 我没有杀他,我们就是做爱,我没有杀他 |
[30:13] | Well, that’s how it looks. | 得了吧,看上去就是你杀的 |
[30:21] | After your doctor testifies, | 你的医生作证之后 |
[30:23] | you have to get back up there and explain to the jury why you lied. | 你必须要回到证人席上,向陪审团解释你为什么撒谎 |
[30:31] | And I hope you’re good. | 我希望你能做得好 |
[30:42] | I was just so afraid of how it would look. | 我只是害怕它看起来如何 |
[30:45] | Everybody thinks that I killed my last husband, | 每个人都认为我杀了我前一个丈夫 |
[30:48] | I was afraid if they knew that I was the one who procured the Viagra… | 我怕他们知道我是那个买伟哥的人。。。 |
[30:52] | So you lied. | 所以你撒谎了 |
[30:54] | Yes. | 是的 |
[30:55] | But we both agreed to put it into the wine. | 但是我们俩都同意放到红酒里去 |
[31:00] | Courtney, why should the jury believe you now? | Courtney,现在陪审团为什么要相信你? |
[31:04] | I don’t have an answer to that, I am… | 我无法回答,我。。。 |
[31:07] | Why should anybody believe that I could fall in love with an older man? | 为什么没有人会相信我爱上一个老人 |
[31:11] | But I did. | 但我就是爱上了 |
[31:15] | I did. | 我爱上了 |
[31:19] | Let’s talk about that. | 让我们来谈谈这个吧 |
[31:22] | You’ve fallen in love three older men. | 你已经爱上过三个老年人 |
[31:25] | For whatever reason, I found safety in older men. | 不知道什么原因,我和老年人在一起感到安全 |
[31:28] | They are not as predatory I suppose. | 我想他们不会欺凌弱者 |
[31:31] | I was telling Mr. Donnell that it probably goes to the safety | 我告诉 Donnell先生,那可能是去追求 |
[31:35] | that I found with my own father. | 我在我父亲那里得到的一种安全感 |
[31:37] | You felt safe with your dad? | 你和你父亲在一起感到安全感? |
[31:42] | Your dad died serving time in Carderit prison in New jersey, didn’t he? | 你父亲死于在新泽西Carderit监狱的服刑期间,不是吗? |
[31:51] | He was convicted of raping you when you were nine years old. | 他在你九岁的时候因为强奸你而获罪 |
[31:55] | He was wrongly convicted. | 那是个错判 |
[32:00] | It never happened. | 从未发生过强奸 |
[32:01] | Your mother and your sister walked in on it, Mrs. Hansen? | 你妈妈和你的姐姐当时发现的,Hansen夫人? |
[32:07] | It never happened. | 那没有发生过 |
[32:09] | Your Honour, could I have time to confer with my client? | 法官大人,我能有时间和我的委托人商量一下吗? |
[32:11] | No, you may not. | 不,你不行 |
[32:13] | You don’t find safety with these older men, do you, Mrs. Hansen? | 你和这些老年人在一起时找不到安全感,是吗,Hansen太太? |
[32:18] | You find your anger, your hatred. | 你找到的是愤怒和憎恨 |
[32:21] | He was wrongly convicted, | 他被错判了 |
[32:25] | it never happened. | 那没有发生过 |
[32:46] | So, Courtney, any other surprises? | 那么,Courtney,还有别的意外吗? |
[32:53] | Never happened. | 没有发生过 |
[33:14] | Be seated. | 坐下 |
[33:17] | Well, Ms. Gamble, you are completely right, | 好吧,Gamble女士,你完全正确 |
[33:20] | there is nothing illegal or unconstitutional | 关于哄骗嫌犯招供 |
[33:23] | about deceiving suspects into giving statements, | 没有不合法和违宪的行为 |
[33:27] | it’s been done all the time. | 这些一直都在发生 |
[33:28] | But still, I can’t help but think | 但是我仍然不禁去想 |
[33:32] | that somehow we’ve lost our way. | 不知道怎么了,我们迷失了方向 |
[33:34] | The whole point of our constitutional safeguard | 我国宪法保障体系的全部目的 |
[33:37] | is to protect the suspect against police misconduct. | 是为了保护犯罪嫌疑人免受警察的不当行为 |
[33:42] | Maybe you’re on the letter of the law here, | 也许你在这里遵循了法律条文 |
[33:44] | but the spirit of it took a beating. | 但是却违背了它的精神 |
[33:48] | Defence counsel’s argument that | 辩护律师的论点是 |
[33:50] | the Miranda suspect was in affect de-Mirandazed | 对嫌犯米兰达宣言实际上是相反的效果 |
[33:54] | it’s a valid one. | 这是有法律效力的 |
[33:55] | She is 15. | 她15岁 |
[33:58] | By the time you got through with her, | 你和她相处的时候 |
[33:59] | she believed she’d help herself by talking, | 她相信如果她说出来就会得到帮助 |
[34:02] | it doesn’t make sense that | 你能给她宣读权利 |
[34:04] | you could read somebody her rights so she’ll understand | 她也理解了, |
[34:07] | only then to deliberately confuse her | 随后又眨着守宪的眼神微笑着故意让她迷惑, |
[34:10] | and smile with a constitutional wink. | 这样做是没有道理的 |
[34:13] | It would seem that the player in our system | 这个体系的参与者 |
[34:16] | should at least act in good faith. | 似乎至少应该本着真诚的原则吧 |
[34:22] | But as a judge, I’m bound by precedent | 但是作为一个法官,我受制于判决先例 |
[34:27] | and trickery still survives any constitutional challenge. | 而且诡计一直存在于对宪法的挑战中 |
[34:33] | I suppose Ms. Gamble said it best, | 我想Gamble女士说的好 |
[34:36] | this is a legal arena, not a moral one. | 这是法律,而不是道德领域 |
[34:41] | The statement is allowed. | 这个供述被接受 |
[34:43] | We’ll conference next Tuesday at 9:00 to set a trial date. | 我们下个星期二上午九点进行商议,确定一个庭审日期 |
[34:47] | Adjourned. | 休庭 |
[35:19] | There’s certainly been some surprises here today, | 今天在这里确实是出现了一些意外 |
[35:22] | and watching Courtney Hansen on the stand… | 看着证人席上的Courtney Hansen。。。 |
[35:25] | Maybe she’s got some denial issues | 也许她拒绝承认 |
[35:27] | about what happened to her as a child, | 儿时发生的一些事情 |
[35:29] | maybe it didn’t really happen. | 也许那些根本没有发生 |
[35:31] | Obviously the prosecution wants you to believe | 很明显地,控方是希望你们相信 |
[35:34] | that she’s acting out of her anger | 她的行为是出于 |
[35:36] | against these older men she married. | 对这些和她结婚的老男人的愤怒 |
[35:37] | It’s a theory. | 这是一个推测 |
[35:38] | But at the end of the day, that’s all they have, | 但是直到最后,这也是他们仅有的, |
[35:43] | suspicion, jealousy, | 猜疑,嫉妒, |
[35:45] | innuendo, theory. | 影射,推测 |
[35:47] | There is no evidence to establish that | 没有证据去证实这些 |
[35:49] | she purposely caused Jerry Hansen to have a heart attack. | 她蓄意使Jerry Hansen心脏病发作 |
[35:53] | Suspicion? Yes. | 怀疑?是的 |
[35:55] | But evidence? | 但是证据呢? |
[35:57] | What is it? | 是什么? |
[35:59] | Jerry Hansen told his son | Jerry Hansen告诉他的儿子 |
[36:04] | he was afraid the way she pushed him during intercourse. | 他害怕在做爱时她强加给他的那种方式 |
[36:11] | And yes, we can consider the way her previous husbands died | 是的,我们可以考虑前到她前夫的去世这个因素 |
[36:15] | because it’s a pattern. | 因为这是一个模式 |
[36:17] | Rich old men, death, | 富有的老年人,死亡 |
[36:21] | she inherits. | 她继承遗产 |
[36:23] | If his father said he felt danger | 如果这个父亲感到了危险 |
[36:25] | why did this loving son do nothing? | 为什么他那充满爱心的儿子什么也不做? |
[36:27] | If she gets convicted, he inherits everything. | 如果她被定罪,他可以继承一切 |
[36:29] | Why is this loving son suddenly making noise | 为什么当遗嘱将要认证的时候, |
[36:33] | as the will goes to probate? | 这个充满爱心的儿子突然喧闹起来? |
[36:35] | She ground up that Viagra so he wouldn’t detect it, come on. | 她把伟哥碾碎了,这样他就不会发现它了。 |
[36:39] | A man with a weak heart, two by passes, | 一个心脏虚弱的男人,做过两次旁路手术 |
[36:43] | she has intercourse for over an hour? | 她和他交媾超过一个小时? |
[36:46] | If that isn’t reckless disregard, | 如果那不是一个粗心大意的忽视 |
[36:49] | then what is? | 那又是什么? |
[36:51] | A man with a weak heart prone to pushing too hard has a coronary, | 一个心脏虚弱的男人容易用力过度,导致冠状动脉血栓 |
[36:56] | they are charging murder. | 他们在指控谋杀 |
[36:57] | That’s out there to begin with, | 一开始就是这样 |
[36:59] | To prove it, you better have some pretty strong evidence, | 为了证明这点,最好是有一些有力的证据 |
[37:04] | they don’t have any. | 他们什么也没有 |
[37:06] | They are asking you to convict with suspicion. | 他们要求你们用怀疑来定罪 |
[37:09] | Why did she lie? | 她为什么撒谎? |
[37:12] | If she’s innocent, | 如果她是无辜的 |
[37:14] | why didn’t she just take that stand and tell us the truth? | 她为什么不在证人席上告诉我们事实? |
[37:18] | But she didn’t do that, did she? | 但是她没有那样做,是吗? |
[37:20] | She lied. | 她撒谎了 |
[37:22] | Afraid you might get the right idea. | 害怕你们会得出正确的观点 |
[37:43] | Murder two? | 二级谋杀? |
[37:44] | Chance of parole. | 有假释的机会 |
[37:46] | If you get convicted of first degree, | 如果你被判一级谋杀, |
[37:50] | you go away forever. | 就永远出不来了 |
[37:55] | Do you think I’ll be convicted? | 你认为我会被定罪吗? |
[37:57] | Strictly on the evidence you shouldn’t be, but… | 严格地根据证据的话,你不会被定罪,但是。。。 |
[38:00] | I am not so sure the jury won’t look beyond the evidence. | 我不确定陪审团不会超出证据的范畴 |
[38:03] | The insulin OD of your last husband, that’ll hurt. | 你前夫的胰岛素过量,是一个不利因素 |
[38:07] | Your lying on the stand, | 你在证人席上撒谎, |
[38:11] | that will hurt a lot. | 这个更加不利 |
[38:13] | Bobby, I didn’t do it. | Bobby,我没有做那些 |
[38:22] | 26 minutes. | 26分钟 |
[38:24] | They have a verdict? | 他们有裁决了? |
[38:26] | What does that mean? | 那意味着什么? |
[38:27] | In this case I have no idea. | 这种情况下,我不知道 |
[38:29] | They could have easily said no evidence or they… | 他们可以很容易地说没有证据,或者他们。。。 |
[38:32] | they could have just quickly concluded that you’re guilty, | 他们就是能很快推断出你是有罪的 |
[38:34] | I have no idea. | 我不知道 |
[38:36] | Well, if we’re gonna take the deal… | 好吧,如果我们准备接受交易。。。 |
[38:39] | Courtney, Courtney, | |
[38:43] | it’s your call. | 你来决定 |
[38:47] | I will take my chances. | 我要碰碰运气 |
[39:09] | Courtney, the jury is not looking over here, | Courtney,陪审团没有往你这边看 |
[39:12] | that’s a bad sign. | 这是一个不好的征兆 |
[39:15] | If we can still get murder two… | 如果我们还能得到二级谋杀。。。 |
[39:30] | They are not looking over, even one of them. | 他们没有往这边看,一个也没有 |
[39:42] | Still on the table? | 还有效吗? |
[39:45] | Do rush you. | 快点决定 |
[39:49] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[39:51] | Your Honour. | 法官大人 |
[40:02] | We’ve reached a plea, murder in the second degree. | 我们已经达成认罪协议,二级谋杀 |
[40:05] | It’s too late, the jury has returned its verdict. | 太晚了,陪审团已经给出了裁决 |
[40:07] | It’s not too late. The verdict hasn’t been entered. | 这不晚,裁决还没有登记 |
[40:09] | We are about to enter it, counsel. | 我们正要登记,律师 |
[40:11] | It’s not entered. We have a right to reach a plea. | 还没有完成登记,我们已经达成认罪协议了 |
[40:14] | I’ll file an interlocutory appeal, | 我将提交一份诉讼期间上诉 |
[40:15] | we’ll go upstairs and we will argue it. | 我们将就此辩论 |
[40:19] | You really wanna do this? | 你真的想这样做? |
[40:20] | We’re fine with it. It will spare us an appeal. | 我们对此没所谓,这讲替我们省掉一次上诉 |
[40:22] | I don’t like this last minute stunts, Mr. Donnell. | 我不喜欢这最后一刻的特技表演,Donnell先生 |
[40:26] | It’s not a stunt, it’s a legitimate plea agreement. | 这不是特技,这是合法的认罪协议 |
[40:32] | Mrs. Hansen. | Hansen夫人 |
[40:37] | Do you agree to plead guilty to murder in the second degree? | 你同意对二级谋杀指控认罪吗? |
[40:42] | I do, Your Honour. | 我同意,法官大人 |
[40:43] | So entered. | 那么就登记备案吧 |
[40:46] | Members of the jury, thank you for your service. | 陪审团成员们,谢谢你们的服务 |
[40:48] | This matter is adjourned. | 本案休庭 |
[40:49] | Sentencing 2 o’clock, Friday. | 周五下午两点,进行宣判 |
[40:53] | Mr. Donnell, I am not big on passing notes in class | Donnell先生,我不是热衷于在课堂上传纸条 |
[40:58] | but you can keep this. | 但是你可以留着这个 |
[41:35] | I think we did the right thing. | 我想我们做的是正确的 |
[41:41] | I will be in, we need… | 我们需要。。。 |
[41:43] | we need to talk before sentencing. | 我们需要在宣判前谈谈 |
[41:48] | Okay. | 好吧 |
[41:51] | I think we did the right thing. | 我想我们做的是正确的 |